[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 56

File: Rogue Trader McDuck.png (1013KB, 676x772px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Trader McDuck.png
1013KB, 676x772px
"I used a new picture, fags" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>54022726

What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought? What did the GM do to make it more than just a normal enemy of its type?
>>
Has anyone thought about running a game during the Indomitus Crusade? It seems interesting to have the imperium at a low point trying to retake territory rather than trying to keep what they have.

As for OP. Hardest had to be a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch in Deathwatch.
>>
>>54125556
>What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought?
Group attrition.
>>
File: AchilusCrusadeCommandCenter.jpg (70KB, 437x672px) Image search: [Google]
AchilusCrusadeCommandCenter.jpg
70KB, 437x672px
>>54125849
Isn't the Achilus Crusade something like that?
>>
>>54125913
Story time?
>>
File: Pepe Sad but well dressed.png (152KB, 616x725px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Sad but well dressed.png
152KB, 616x725px
>>54125913
>>54126302
Oh I just understood you meant IRL. RIP
>>
>>54125849
>running a game during the Indomitus Crusade?

kys nucanon not true canon
>>
>>54126381
>I don't like change in my setting so I'm going to call it not canon

Gee anon, I wish I was as autistic as you are!
>>
>>54126452

>I want a setting, whose whole purpose is to not change, to change

Listen, sport, I'm sure you really loved Dawn of War and all them newfangled vidya games, but we have a universe here that's being destroyed by you Timmies who want to turn 40k into the Avengers. Go find another setting to kill.
>>
>>54125849
>Has anyone thought about running a game during the Indomitus Crusade?

I don't think there's enough information for something like that, yet. We know it lasted 112 years, we know Bobby G created a full Legion of Primaris for it, we know he split those guys up into successors after it, and we know it was on both sides of the Rift. If you're turning it into an Only War game, then it can work, it would be business as normal but fighting alongside Guilliman every so often. There's still too little info on the Primaris to make any judgement calls on them though.
>>
>>54126499
>implying I also like the change

I don't like it either, doesn't mean it's not canon.
>>
>>54126381
>>54126452
>>54126499
>>54126642
>Chaos, mankind's greatest enemy, has been characterized as an inevitably unstoppable force since the beginning.
>Chaos does something bad to the Imperium.
>This is considered change.
>>
>>54125556
What was wrong with the old pictures? They're pretty iconic, I used them to introduce new players to the game.
>>
File: honk.jpg (157KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
honk.jpg
157KB, 623x414px
>be Psyker
>suddenly pick up a Shuriken Pistol and a Soulstone through sidequest shenanigans

Wat do?
>>
>>54126989
Destroy both with flame.
>>
>>54126681
I think the main "change" people don't like is primaris marines.
Hell, I like the look but not the fluff.
>>
File: Free Candy.jpg (54KB, 566x378px) Image search: [Google]
Free Candy.jpg
54KB, 566x378px
>>54126989

So far, when players have found soulstones, they either smashed them, ate them because they were delicious candy, or some combination of both. You know what you must do.
>>
>>54126681
I'm less upset that change occurred as upset at how they happened and what the changes were.

Things like primaris, Bobby G returning, ham fisted way Cadia was destroyed, the abortion that was Tyrannic invasion of Baal, the "all previous black crusades were secretly victories with special secret objectives that the main theme of the crusades had nothing to do with though these were never mentioned once in previous lore", adding a Deus ex Machina man in the form of Cawl, and many others.

Much of this was done as a easy lore excuse to make marketing changes but it was horribly executed and cheapens the already massive and labyrinthine lore that exists. On top of it all we know very little about much of anything that happened beyond gathering storm and the indomitus crusade because instead of focusing on the changes occurring across the galaxy in small tales like they used to we instead just follow Robot Gorillaman around because that's what I haven't got enough of after dozens of HH books from black library: primarchs.

40k was better when it's greatest heroes of old were dead, damned, or lost.
>>
>>54127191

It does open up new opportunities, though. Guilliman created a Legion for himself (for a little while), complete with Legionaries from 30k. He reinstated the Tetrarchs of Ultramar. He's bringing back all sorts of tech, both old and new. It's a great way to treat culture shock - what do you do when your world is suddenly turning into essentially 30k? Some will resist, some will rejoice. It hits both in universe and on a meta level.
>>
>>54126989
Give them to your Inquisitor. These are not toys. Never run with a Shuriken Pistol in your hands.
>>
>>54127098
Why though? It's just another incremental change to the Space Marines. I might be biased because I only play the RPG (my Dark Vengeance box has just been collecting dust in the basement for years now) and they're not relevant to its timeline, but I don't understand the problem.
>>
>>54127261
Isn't that pic the opposite of what happened.
>Hey da-
>OH THANK ME YOU'RE HERE, THERE'S NO ONE COMPETENT AROUND ANYMORE. GET MY EMPRIE'S SHIT TOGETHER NOW.
>>
>>54127191
Yeah but as far as I'm concerned it's not really a change. Saying that what happens in M42 is a change is like saying that what happened in M31 is a change. These are just different periods of the same setting, and while M31 and M42 may center on great reconquest and expansions by heroes, the period of ~M32-M41 will always remain our beloved ten millennia of stagnation.
>>
Anyone working on Primaris Deathwatch rules?
>>
>>54126978
Nothing wrong with old pictures. Nothing wrong with new pictures.
>>
>>54127261
Hey Shas. The Grey Slayer Huscarl gets the option to select the Heavy Chainblade for standard wargear but TGTBatAL doesn't have stats for it. What stats should it be using champ?
>>
File: 1422430939447-1.jpg (32KB, 495x778px) Image search: [Google]
1422430939447-1.jpg
32KB, 495x778px
creating character arcs for my players and am stuck with what to do with my administorum player. this is DH2 if that matters

their achievments.
>helped put a guy in the position of planetary govenor after dispatching the old one who was a servant of slannesh with the party
>First to learn about the existence of daemons from the inquisitor
>singlehandedly destroyed a defiler with a fucking heavy bolter because they were in point blank range and had prescience cast on them.
>is otherwise a total bitch and fails pretty much every fear check he makes

so what should I have for his main arc ?
>>
Make him into not a bitch.
>>
>>54127125
Use it as my new Psy Focus when my current one inevitably gets destroyed?

That sounds like a Bad Idea.

>>54127468
This sounds like a better idea.
>>
>>54128019
Manipulate the governor in order to prevent mass awareness of daemons on the planet. Make him feel the weight of that burden of knowledge.
>>
Can you guys help me pitch 40k to normies? They're already in my trap (IE PCs in my game), I just need to convince them to enjoy this grimdark shithole.
>>
So, I'm kind of over the idea that full auto attacks are wildly inaccurate. Accuracy by volume should be a thing.

I'm running a Deathwatch game and think I'm going to change the modifiers for standard, semi-auto, and full auto attacks to 0/0/+10 respectively, but make them all half actions like in Only War.
>>
>>54129424
Have you ever shot a firearm before? I'm just curious.
>>
>>54126989
Sell soulstone to Imperial noble to have money shitted into your hands, or hand over to Eldar to win their respect, or dark eldar to be best Baes
>>
>>54129602

Yup. Never a fully automatic one though.
>>
>>54129250
I need help with this too. My plan is to get all sorts of shenanigans and badass side-characters for the players to meet to help engage them into the game a bit more. Try to leave some sweet memories of 40k.
>>
>>54129250
In the grimdark grimdark of the grimdark grimdark, there is only grimdark and death.
>>
>>54129654
Interesting
>>
>>54129250
Usually, making jokes about it is the only way to get the normies. See the peasants in Monty Python and the Holy Grail for a good example.
>>
>>54129424
>>54129602
>>54129654
>>54129708
Any /k/ people able to confirm which of the systems is the most accurate, once and for all?
>>
What languages should space marines be literate in at character creation in Deathwatch?
>>
>>54128079
That reminds me of when the fucking nerd in Black Sails ripped out someone's throat when his glasses got knocked off during a boarding action. I looked at one of my fellow players watching with me and said "that's why you don't fuck with the Sage."
>>
>>54130455
Page 37
>>
>>54130469
Indiana Jones will always remain my favorite bad-ass nerd.
>>
>>54130353
Firing semi auto rapidly is harder to be precise with than taking time and firing one decent shot. Full auto is far more challenging, since you're fighting recoil to do anything and some guns have ludicrous rates of fire with low weight and then you're just fucked (like a full auto Glock). The other side of the coin is that accuracy by volume is a pretty good way to guarantee a hit. I'd rather fire 4 or 5 rounds to get 2-3 hits at 350-450m than take the time to get precise shots I know will connect, but that's more of a time thing than anything else.

I'm a competitive shooter, 3-Gun Tactical Iron, and I've been fortunate enough to get to shoot a fair bit of full auto. Going by the rates of fire in the book and ignoring the rules for aiming for the moment, your character is not a total retard when it comes to shooting. They've limited your FA to a decent burst, basic but easy to forget if you're not used to FA.

ROF rules are fine by me, but I'm a little confused about the rules regarding aiming. I've always thought it odd that your character is never really aiming unless you tell them to. Are they point shooting otherwise? I only point shoot while up close and on the move, so maybe it's a training thing. Maybe they don't teach you to get a good cheek weld in the future or maybe they don't know how to shoot with both eyes open or something.

Basically, all the systems are right for the characters you're making in those systems. Pros go for accuracy by volume, normal dudes try to make every shot count, form is super important, practice makes perfect, etc.
>>
>>54127261

hey have you started recruiting for that only war game you were talking about
>>
In Black Crusade, would you expect Astartes characters that have worked together long enough to repaint their armor to one color?

Are there any rules for Astartes recruitment anywhere?
>>
>>54133686
>In Black Crusade, would you expect Astartes characters that have worked together long enough to repaint their armor to one color?
Depends on the warband. Some might, some might not. Others might even leave the base colours, and draw markings over the top.
>>
>>54133873
What about astartes recruitment? I'm thinking about starting a game where the players are chaos marines with the goal of starting a warband in the Screaming Vortex.
>>
>>54134151
What about it? Yes, they do it.
>>
>>54134610
Should there be rules for it? If so, what would they entail? Can one hypothetically make a chaos apothecary?
>>
>>54134631
Hypothetically? You should start by reading the fluff on the subject - lexicanum & 40k wiki are easy AF if you're on the internet - then ask about that.
>>
>>54134766
I mean, is it mechanically possible. I'm versed in 40k lore but not in Black Crusade rules.
>>
>>54125556
the bestiary doesnt work.
>>
What do you do when there is an issue within your game, but you're probably the only person that has an issue with it.

To explain, one of the other players in our DH2 game is using a sword and shield, and often takes the "defensive fighting" stance pretty exclusively for his fighting style, and then waits to be struck, and uses the Counter Attack talent to hit back. He parries with the shield, and attacks with the sword.

I've pointed it out to him that in order to use the Counter Attack, you have to attack with the same weapon you parry with, and we went back and forth about it, which the crux of the argument is basically whether or not he's getting a +5 to his WS or not.

He thinks it's dumb, and feels that he should get to do it any way. I told him if that's how he feels, he should bring it up with the GM and plead his case. I'm unaware if he's done so, but I still think he should just play by the rules. I no doubt feel that the GM will just let him do it any way though, and other then this one little thing, the entirety of the game has been going amazingly.

Should I just let it go, or should I bring it up the next time he does his trick in combat? I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who actually cares about it.
>>
>>54134775
Besides possibly porting over an astartes character that reaches 100 insanity or corruption from deathwatch, no.
>>
>>54135496
>He thinks ... and feels

Not an argument. You are actually correct by RAW, but if the game is run by feelings, and you're the only one who takes issue, then find a new game. No gaming better than bad gaming.
>>
>>54135507
Could you just port over a narthecium and give him a good medicae skill?
>>
>>54135496
>What do you do when there is an issue within your game, but you're probably the only person that has an issue with it.
Suck it up and deal with it.
>no doubt feel that the GM will just let him do it any way though
Then stop backseat GMing.
>Should I just let it go
Yes.
>or should I bring it up the next time he does his trick in combat?
And stop the game midfight with a rules nitpick and a passive aggressive attitude? Fuck no
>>
>>54135691
Sure.
>>
>>54135496
I'd say let him be. Does it make the game in any way unfair? Does it give him an advantage that diminishes your enjoyment? I don't think so.
>>
>>54135683
Leaving the game isn't really on the table. Like I said, otherwise the game is really great, it's just this one little thing. The group itself has been together for years, but there has been a kind of consistent back and forth between myself and the other player, where a rules interpretation has been slightly skewed, and it's brought up, and we're both left standing there, going "now what." the issue itself is often minor in some fashion, and I find myself always in the same position of "is this a big enough issue to keep pressing it?" most times the issue just sorts itself out in some way or another, so maybe it will this time as well.

>>54135704
Obviously I wouldn't just stop the game. I'd make it known that there's a rules issue, which should be discussed after the game is over. If you were playing with someone who wasn't using the rules correctly, would you just let him do it, or would you point it out? I think you're being a little overly aggressive here man, chill out. If I wanted to be passive aggressive, I would bring it up to the GM while the other person wasn't around. Calm down, sheesh.

>>54135945
Fighting defensively, means anyone attacking him suffers like -10/20 to WS to hit, meanwhile he's gaining the Defensive bonus from the shield, while not suffering the penalties by simply attacking with another weapon. I personally think you can make the case that, that is kind of unfair, even more so since it's his only method of attacking in melee, it's literally the only action he takes.
>>
File: 1498719673601.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498719673601.gif
3MB, 400x300px
Idea time: Dark Heresy Silver Tower styled board game. Players select a mini/class and go on a dungeon crawl to purge the unclean. I imagine that there would be one for each class with a unique ability like Tech Priest being able to Repair Machines, or Adeptus Arbites ability to Search giving them rerolls for loot.

Any opinions? I think you could play it on a table top simulator without much problem.
>>
>>54135714
Related question, is It worth It to try and homebrew rules for marines from different legions and chapters for BC?
>>
>>54136415
You could take it a step further and take pieces from...Decent? I think the game is? Where there are different heroes (which can be of the same class) with strengths/weaknesses and you can draw talents or abilities from a deck as you progress through the dungeon crawl.
>>
>>54136279
So basically you're just being an autistic ninny about it and it's not the first thing you've been an autistic ninny about.
>>
>>54136538
I'm thinking a radically simplified version of a character sheet with just the toned down combat stats, and abilities to represent the non-combat stuff. I think each class would get 2 Abilities, and then they'd have tags like in 8th edition/AoS. This would be for interactions like a Void Born would have a different interaction than a Hive World Scum on a space ship when an Event happens. A deck could be neat, and new games like the Dark Souls board game and that FFG Cthulhu game show you can in fact have non-GM'd games.
>>
>>54136415
>select a mini

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54136431

Black crusade already has legion rules in the Tomes. Chapters are covered generically by the core archetypes. What more do you want?
>>
>>54136585
Wanting to play by the rules is being autistic now. Ok, I hope you have fun with your freeform roleplaying there champ.
>>
>>54137204

Rules don't matter, it just has to FEEL right :^)
>>
>>54137204
No, you're being an autistic little ninny about it because instead of pointing it out for the GM to make a ruling on whether or not you should abide by RAW or the semi-house rule you've so far run with, you come here and whine about it.
>>
>>54125556
>What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought? What did the GM do to make it more than just a normal enemy of its type?

Unfortunately I've only GM'd Rogue Trader, so from the GM standpoint, the hardest enemy the group fought had to be the Necrons during the first session.
>be running a Rogue Trader game on Roll20 (my first mistake, I know.)
>Group is a Rogue Trader who took power armor as his free requisition, Arch Militant who took an army as his free requisition, a Navigator whose also decked out in Power Armor and a Tech Priest doing tech priesty things.
>Roll up a handful of systems and a few endeavors for each one that they could do.
>One of the systems had Xenos (Other) as the inhabitants of a planet and the planet was a Vast sized planet with Earth-normal gravity and no animal life despite being a temperate world with pure atmosphere.
>Decide on a whim that it's a tomb world.
>Of course the group goes there first.
>It's fine. As long as they keep to the surface, since they would never need to go underground to complete the planetside objective.
>Of course they went in the first cave they find. Ohdeargodwhy.jpg
>Start flipping through my Black Crusade pdfs, since that's where the necron stats are.
>Oh look, Tomb Stalker. Theses guys patrol dormant tombs.
>start making Perception rolls to see how long it takes a Tomb Stalker to notice the party.
>It takes a few hours, but it's on the hunt now boys.
>It erupts into the tunnel the group is in. The group, despite being really big into 40k, decide to stand and fight because, and I quote, "The GM would never send an enemy at us if we couldn't kill it!"
>Of fucking course they can't kill it.
>After the Navigator gets ripped into ribbons, the rest of the group realizes their fuck up and tries their best to outrun the Tomb Stalker, fat chance, back to the surface hoping their Gun-Cutter will be able to provide enough covering fire for them to get aboard and off planet.
>>
File: I have no ass and i must shit.png (198KB, 249x322px) Image search: [Google]
I have no ass and i must shit.png
198KB, 249x322px
>>54133653

The Call to Players is ready, but I'm delaying it for a bit while I sort out some emergency work stuff.

>>54127875

Fuck me sideways. The Heavy Chainblade should be Heavy Chainblade (Melee, 1d10+10R, Pen 6, Tearing, Unbalanced, Two-Handed), same as in MNW. I'll make note to fix the problem when I can. I'll also probably add the Sicaran Punisher while I'm at it, but no re-release for a bit yet.
>>
>>54136892
The rules in the tomes are for traitor legionnaires and are a degree more powerful than archetypes from the main book. I'm thinking of something like the different chapter rules in the Deathwatch splats, where they're more balanced.

>>54138191
Shas, have you ever run Black Crusade? Please regale me with tales of such a game.
>>
>>54135496
Have a group discussion about it where everyone can let their opinion be heard, and let the GM have the final say. That's all
>>
>>54136415
I just want my third edition man :'(
>>
>>54137389
So in the end, did they survive or not?
>>
>>54132255
I was under the impression that (for astartes at least) boltguns are linked to the helmet's HUD kind of like the way it works in the Halo games. They don't need to "aim" per se because there's a computer calculating distance windage trajectory etc. for them, all they have to do is shoot where the armor's machine spirit tells them to shoot.
>>
>>54136279
If this isn't the first time you've brought it up and the GM is letting it slide, he probably doesn't see the value in punishing that player for sword-and-boarding in a reasonably lethal game. And neither do I. It doesn't seem sensible to me that Counter Attack works only with what you Parried with, since it seems natural that your other hand's weapon would be more naturally available to strike while the other is partying. Maybe ask the GM to challenge that character more, like having him face enemies with Inescaable Attack or more ranged fire to maneuver around. But a sword and board doesn't break this game so I think you're being a bit whiny.
>>
>>54138975
Yes, a simple solution to this situation is to use ranged weapons more.
>>
>>54138820
From the 40kwiki: "The Godwyn Pattern [bolter] also possesses an integral targeter that links with the Space Marine's auto-senses for enhanced accuracy."

You are correct.
>>
>>54138709
If they make it in house it'll be a box game with minis.
>>
>>54138724
The tech-priest bit the bullet and the Arch Militant was down to his last wound and the Rogue Trader lost his arm, but they managed to get out.

Needless to say, the group was severely humbled and was a lot more careful from then on. Which I'm glad for because it meant I was able to get the "Yes you're powerful, but you're not invincible" fight out of the way right off the bat.
>>
>>54139337
Well then here's hoping they have those Cubicle 7 people do it, like they are for WFRP. Apparently they did a really good job of making their LOTR RPG's immersive.
>>
>>54139343
I still regret not having one of my players burn a Fate Point on his very first action. He fell into what would be a bottomless chasm, but I just let him get away with a mangled jaw and a permanent Fellowship penalty in formal settings after smashing his face on the other side.
>>
File: ic0lgU3jj1rdbzvxo3_1280.jpg (202KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
ic0lgU3jj1rdbzvxo3_1280.jpg
202KB, 752x1063px
>>54125556

I'm making a Dark Heresy One Ascension Imperial Psyker going into Primaris Psyker for the first time ( I have experience with the other systems) we have been encouraged to make the best characters we can. I'm trying to find out what are all the Psyker Specific alternate ranks are, So far I have found:

Templar Calix, Imperial Diviner, Tainted Psyker, and Theomancer.

Additionally what would be the best Primaris Psyker Ascended trait They all rather lack luster to me, though Untainted Core seems like the worst, and A Ghost in the Warp seems like it could be the best in the right situation while Psychic Solider gives a free action casting of a power which seems useful but with strong restrictions.
>>
File: Chaos Carl.jpg (46KB, 246x499px) Image search: [Google]
Chaos Carl.jpg
46KB, 246x499px
>>54138464

I hate Black Crusade. I will never run Black Crusade myself. I have had nothing but sour experiences with it. The only time I touched it since was to throw together a Tzaangor archetype, and that only reaffirmed my dislike of the system.
>>
>>54139406
Needs to sell models
>>
>>54137227
I know you're being facetious, but fundamentally you're not wrong - there's no "right" to play something like TTRPGs and it really depends on what group wants and what DM is like - the goal is to have fun.

I personally run my games rather loosely - it is important to remain consistent and fair, but rules are there to support the game, not be a hindrance. That said, no, you cannot juggle chaos terminators because your STR bonus allows you to lift few tonnes without breaking a sweat.
>>
File: Jorge Hardcore.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Jorge Hardcore.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>54140024
>no, you cannot juggle chaos terminators because your STR bonus allows you to lift few tonnes without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>54139887
Is It because of the alignment system?
>>
>>54140986

The alignment system, the rewarding of teamkilling, the shoehorning into explicit endgame destinies, and a GM who made it clear he much would have preferred Only War.
>>
File: No fun allowed.png (355KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
No fun allowed.png
355KB, 480x640px
>>54140024
>>
>>54139887
I ran Black Crusade a couple of times and figured out ways to make it suck less.

I added Malal in one campaign, just to see how it'd work out. It went OK. The TKing asshole went Malal and the entire party was at each other's throats, but since they didn't trust each other at all it was a tense and fun experience... for me.

Did a campaign where all the PCs were with the same god. No problems there.

Did a game of Black Heresy. All the party is a representative of different Inquisitors in a small spec ops group. Every Inquisitor had different goals and was at a different place on the Radical-Puritan spectrum with one party member being a full on heretic working for a crazy ass Istaavanian. I really like how it went.
>>
File: well then.jpg (15KB, 162x214px) Image search: [Google]
well then.jpg
15KB, 162x214px
>>54141180
So... you hate Black Crusade... because you had a shit GM?
>>
File: NurgleMutant.jpg (122KB, 255x563px) Image search: [Google]
NurgleMutant.jpg
122KB, 255x563px
>>54141978
Seconded.
Black Crusade can be pretty awesome if you can avoid the kind of shitcunt who'll turn on their team-mates for minor benefit.

Low-grade backstabbing through conflicting tertiary objectives is fine. But excalations can ruin the entire group, and players should be aware of that.
>>
>>54141306
Fuck off to playing dnd you literal retard
>>
>>54142066
There can be exceptions... One time in a campaign of Black Crusade, me and another fellow Tzeentchian PC betrayed the entire rest of the group in the middle of a battle against a Necron Lord and his pet C'Tan shard, stole the Lord's shard-controlling thingamajiggie, and skedaddled the fuck out of there by way of the Brass Door, which, after the initial disbelief and hilarity, both the GM and the party applauded for the sheer gall we had... Although my PC did die as a payment for the Brass Door's service rendered.

My point is, with a proper party who are there to have fun, Black Crusade can remain a positive experience despite any dickery that unfolds.
>>
>>54142212
>I know you're being facetious, but fundamentally you're not wrong - there's no "right" to play something like TTRPGs and it really depends on what group wants and what DM is like - the goal is to have fun.

>omg u r retard 4 not playing my wai

Not that I would actually allow your example to happen in my game, what an over-reaction.
>>
>>54141978
>>54142066

Outside of that, yes, my biggest problems are with the alignment system, the fact that Chaos Undecided is so fun to play but you're fucked ruleswise since the retcon, and the fact that if you aren't micromanaging your corruption and infamy you can get inadvertently fucked out of the endgame (which then encourages infamy farming to stay on the curve).
>>
>>54141516
I'm not sure why but I feel that Dark Heresy lends itself really well to intrigue within the party.
>>
>>54142066
Honestly, in my experience the best way to foster "acceptable" party conflict is through subtle facilitation of deaths that would have happened anyway.
>>
What are the best enemies for Only War guardsmen to face. I'm thinking other humans being are obviously the best, but I also think facing them off against Tau and Eldar is pretty interesting.

Only issue is, the core rulebook doesn't want you to fight them.
>>
>>54144170
>Other humans
>Not orks

>Tau pulse anything
>2d10+2 pen 4
>Or 1d10+12 pen 4 with DW errata
No shit?
>>
>>54144170
What do you mean by "the best"? You have so many options, I'd be surprised if your players would want to focus solely on one of them.
>>
How would you guys do a Battlefleet Gothic inspired rpg?
>>
Crazy fucking idea: All Navigator Party. How would it work, and would anyone even dare touch it with a 10 foot pole?

>>54145239
Rogue Trader with focus on shipbuilding and space combat
>>
>>54145239
>>54145295

Rogue Trader if you want to be piloting the ship, a combination of Dark Heresy and Battlefleet Gothic if you want to play people living in the bowels of a ship.
>>
>>54145295
>How would it work
You'd need every PC to be a relative of each other, possibly even things like that one image of that guy who keeps boning his daughters.
>>
>>54145547
Not necessarily. They would just have to be from houses that weren't at each others throats. I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the larger ships in the Imperium have multiple Navigators on board in case the main one fizzles out or something.
>>
>>54145618
Why would you get multiple navigators from different houses when you can get them from the same house?
>>
>>54145643
Maybe the scion of the RT's family had a long standing agreement with multiple houses? It is the Imperium after all. I'm sure there's more than one instance where bureaucracy or other such nobleborn politics resulted in such a situation. Alternatively, maybe you want different houses to avoid all of your navigators being struck down by the same brand of mutation or targeted viral agent.
>>
>>54145643
Why would you get multiple navigators from the same house? Do you *want* them to basically rule the ship in all but title (if even that)? Get them from competing, but friendly-ish, houses and make sure that they're more focused on their tasks as well as outdoing their rivals? The less they ponder the real, actual power they hold over everyone on that ship, the better.
>>
Someone needs to put that damn Rogue Trader Tau adventure into the trove.
>>
>>54145987
>Get them from competing, but friendly-ish, houses and make sure that they're more focused on their tasks as well as outdoing their rivals? The less they ponder the real, actual power they hold over everyone on that ship, the better.
That's sorta what I was wondering. What would an All Navigator party *do*? They couldn't exactly run around on planet (or similar) like the rest of the RT crew. So that means they're all "stuck" on the ship doing... something.
>>
>>54146127
Warp eye contests.
>>
>>54144307
Other Humans are the most interesting in a combat scenario because they fight defensively, and unpredictably. Orks and Chaos fight the same way, by getting as close as possible, not worrying about dying, and butchering them.
>>
>>54139406
I just don't get it.
If they're giving the license to Cubicle, why didn't they announce it when they announced the two fantasy games?
And if they're not giving it to Cubicle, WHY NOT???
Seriously, we just got a new edition of the wargame, it seems like a good time to talk about an rpg as well.
(Unless there would be more licensing issues with 40k then WHFB or AoS for some reason.)
>>
File: cthulhu space man party.gif (364KB, 499x400px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu space man party.gif
364KB, 499x400px
>>54146127
>>54145295
The Navigators are all members of the same House, or perhaps two closely allied houses. They do weird intrigues, scheming to get the best navigation contracts with the best ships, trying to secure marriage contracts that will strengthen their bloodline, and generally jockeying for position.
Navigators can be absolutely vicious with each other, even animalistic. They can launch vendettas for perceived or real slights, or just resort to naked murder in their thirst for power and status.
>>
>>54142408
>Le funni quirky deadlifting le terminatorz xD

Thats how you look nigger
>>
File: screen09wksnr.png (476KB, 1759x460px) Image search: [Google]
screen09wksnr.png
476KB, 1759x460px
Is it wrong to use weapons out of the Inquisitors Handbook for special kit weapons for an Only War PC Regiment? (with the proviso being that the Regiment is local to the Calixis Sector, and not from some place like Cadia or Krieg)
>>
>>54147509
Are you the GM?
>>
>>54147524

Yes
>>
>>54147533
Then go for it, just don't forget that some rules worked differently in DH1.
>>
I'm going to GM only war for the first time pretty soon, so does anyone have any tips and help for me that can aid me in GM-ing?
>>
>>54147561
Also, my players probably want to play as a recon regiment, so anything I must keep in mind regarding that?
>>
I offered my deathwatch team a light frigate with servitor crew. How fucked am I ?
>>
>>54147617
Just have them face Tau or Necromancer that cripple their ship if it gets too problematic for you.
>>
File: 1396590979232.jpg (55KB, 351x234px) Image search: [Google]
1396590979232.jpg
55KB, 351x234px
>>54147600
>>54147561

If your players are aware of how the Logistics System works, fully expect them to loot everything they come across - enemy weapons and gear included - to trade to other regiments\units for drugs, lho sticks, ammo, porn, alcohol, chameo cloaks, sororitas panties, officer ration packs, drugs, ammo, or a bottle of 50yr old amasec aged in oak barrels, to butter up a quartermaster for whatever weapons they want.

Also remember that, unless they have a vehicle, they have to hump across a warzone with everything they want, and the most important thing to an Imperial Guardsman is his lasgun, ammo, and ration packs - and a ration pack lasts a day, tastes horrible, and becomes unpalatable after you've eaten them for 10 days. Fully expect your players to steal ammo and food off the dead (if theyre fighting Dominate), or be completely fucked if theyre fighting xenos or chaos
>>
>>54147714
It's their first time (mine included) playing only war, so I don't think they are fully aware on how it works regarding logistics and re supply
>>
>>54147561
>>54147600
While you shouldn't aim for TPKs, don't be afraid of them. Such is life in the guard.

A general theme with OW is 'work together or die alone', with the comrade system reinforcing this along with advancements some specialties get regarding comrades.
>>
File: 1497936091501.jpg (316KB, 711x735px) Image search: [Google]
1497936091501.jpg
316KB, 711x735px
>>54147748

Trade economy can be really fun as long as you don't mind players with great gear - but then again, having a plasma gun is great, but trying to get ammo for it is a pain (especially when its battle loot and the squad doesnt have official sanction from the munitorium to have the thing. Remember, a squad of Guardsman don't own their gear - it isn't their personal possions - everything is accountable to the Munitorium)

Only War can be all about Combat, but its great when its all about War - and I mean the aspects of war you never hear about. Stories about what its like to eat MRE's for months straight, getting into barfights with a rival regiment during a 72 hour leave in a halfway civilized place, trading a cache of alcohol to an arty unit so they owe you a favor, being behind enemy lines so long you have to start killing the enemy just for food and ammo, or dropping acid just before going into a tunnel clearing action.

A lot of war is just boredom and paranoia punctuated by short periods of terror. Plus, fighting is tiring, don't forget to use Fatigue rules as way of representing that an hours worth of adrenaline can be just as exhausting as an all-day forced march.

Another suggestion - RP comrades. It might be a bit of work, but it really helps. As long as comrades are visible and audible, then the players remember that they exist, and they might actually give a shit about them. Make them useful in other small ways. Example: I had a PC whose comrade was a black marketeer and had floating bonuses to the logistic rating, assuming he didn't get caught. It got the squad some nice gear when they really needed it, but it also got the squad into a beat-down by another company because the comrade had to cheat them out of gear they needed in order to make ends meet.
>>
>>54147828
>>54147850
Thanks for the tips, also my players want to have a chimera for their recon group. So I was planning them to be on a civilized imperial world that is currently rebelling. So they can have an easier time learning the system and not constantly focus on refueling, resupplying, etc. But when the campaign is over I plan on having a small ork warband (crash)land on the planet and make the situation truly desperate.
>>
>>54147681
It's not much a problem, I know I can cripple them hard but I don't know if I am ready for a RT game with space marines as the crew.
>>
File: 1481715913864.jpg (91KB, 330x334px) Image search: [Google]
1481715913864.jpg
91KB, 330x334px
So I have a genuine combat autist in my Dark Heresy group and have no idea how to deal with him.

His useless in most cases but he makes combat utterly trivial because next to nothing can hurt him.

Latest session another player expressed reclutence in shooting into melee where he was fighting what was meant to be a kinda hard fight and he went "It's okay, I'll soak the shotgun shoot" and frankly I was red.

My problem is, if I just throw something bigger at them, to the point where he can't just solo everything, the rest of the group won't have a hope in hell of beating it i fear.

Any advice?
>>
>>54148060
Psykers, Necrons, Tau snipers, environmental hazards, etc
>>
>>54147850
I usually have the players RP each other's comrades, it's fun.
>>
File: Centaur.jpg (105KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
Centaur.jpg
105KB, 800x680px
>>54148019

You should defintely consider running them against the Severan Dominate, as its basically what your describing. It has the novelty of fighting against intelligent opponents who can fight defensively, ambush, retreat, etc. And having Orks drop in for a good fight fits too.

Chimaera is a great thing to give players for an easy time. It can recharge their laspacks, plenty of room for gear, and if you dont have a tech-priest, you can set up a still and cook alcohol rather easy - alcohol can help with the trade economy I had mentioned earlier.

However, it is noisy, and it is harder to hide, and unless you DO have a tech-priest, keeping it up and running might be a bit difficult.

Also, if you, as the GM, don;t want them to have an Autocannon right away, consider giving them a Centaur, as its basically a recon tank and 40k equivalent of a Bren Carrier. Pic related
>>
File: IMG_2427.jpg (114KB, 740x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2427.jpg
114KB, 740x480px
>>54148094
Was thinking of giving the a Salamander Scout Tank instead of a Chimera, but I feel like a chimera is more likely to be supplied to them by the Departo Monitorum
>>
File: 1351150760450.png (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1351150760450.png
15KB, 500x500px
As a little pet project, I've detailed the Imperial Guard Ration Pack for my players Regiment in only War. These guys are an elite unit, so no corpse-starch rations for them.

I based the below off historical WW2 rations, and made some changes based on what would be logical in the Imperium

>Munitorium Issue Individual Combat Ration (Canned)
>Meat Unit
>x1 can of salt meat (spam)
>x1 packet of dehydrated gravy (brown, white, red) *gravy packet isn't always present, as older versions of the ration didn't always have them
>Bread Unit
>x8 protein hardtack crackers
>packet of spread (cheese flavor, jam flavor, or butter sub) *jam is preferred, as the cheese tastes awful, and the butter is always dry as chalk
>Dessert Unit
>x2 processed\dehydrated fruit bars *hard as a rock, can actually break your teeth
>x1 pound cake, fruit cake, hard chocolate bar, or packet of cocoa flavored drink
>the pound cake is universally liked, but also rare, the fruit cake is universally reviled, and also the most common. the chocolate bar is hard as a rock and WILL break your teeth unless you cut strips off it, and the cocoa drink is best when heated
>Accessory Pack
>packet of vitamin-c lemon drink *mix with water, but its bitter as fuck and nearly undrinkable
>packet of flavors (sweet, spicy, salty) *completely random, and often unmarked
>packet of instant recaf
>x2 pieces of sweet-chew (tasteless)
>packet of toilet paper
>x4 lho sticks with a low-use igniter *useless, doesn't work at all, best to use your flamer
>x2 water purification tablets *can work on urine, issued to front line units only
>>
>>54148060
Use psyker against him, things that cause fear, stun him etc
>>
>>54148152
A chimera would tear though most things that could be considered 'rebellion' forces outside of other vehicles.
>>
Looks like I'm going to be gming Deathwatch for the first time in the new future, any tips?
>>
>>54148819
A leman russ? Dont think so
>>
>>54148819
Really? Wouldn't just a few well places mines or any anti tank weapon like a rocket launcher or a lascannon destroy it almost instantly
>>
>>54149452
lascannon yes, rockets and mines are weak in this system
>>
>>54125556
>What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought? What did the GM do to make it more than just a normal enemy of its type?
A biomancy focused chaos warrior psyker that was commander of the local enforcer detachment AND one of the leaders of a hive wide Tzeentchian cult.
What made him harder was circumstance. Due to the vagaries of the game, I was fighting him, in CC, alone, in a tunnel, with what basically amounted to a chargen character. We ended up fighting to a draw weighted in his favor, and I meep-meeped the fuck out, trying to find the advantage of surprise. Didn't end that way.
>>
>>54144170
If you're group doesn't have at least one instance with Blue on Blue, then I will be dissapoint.

I'd recommend I mix of sorts. Tau with human auxiliaries. A Chaos Warband styled off the Imperial Guard, similar to the Blood Pact/Sons of Sek, with Xenos mercenaries, such as Dark Eldar, Loxatl and/or Orks. Or something along those lines.

Give enough variety that it doesn't feel like they're fighting the same squad of enemies all the time, but enough sameness that they're a clear theme to the enemy that they're fighting.
>>
>>54148094
Don't most Chimera crews (or at least their drivers) receive, or learn on the field, some minor training on how to fix the damn thing? I remember in the Gaunts Ghosts books a time or two where a Chimera would break down and the driver would have to hop out and give a few prayers while alternating between trying to fix it and using percussive maintenance.
>>
>>54150171

I think regiment troop type options that come with a vehicle also come with either a skill to drive it and a skill to fix it, but I'm not sure. The point is, a tech priest gets shit like that for free, and a weapon specialist or a ratling likely doesn't.
>>
>>54149773
Chimera have side armor 22, rear armour 16.

A Krak missile is 3d10+8 (average 24.5 damage per round) and pen 8. If a resistance cell is able to ambush a lone Chimera with a pair of tread-fethers, that's 10 damage each (20 total if both hit) from the side and 16 damage each (32 total if both hit) from the rear.

Two squads with a pair of thread-fethers and take out a Chimera a turn if they ambush them properly.

>>54150220
But the Operator specialty does too I think, since that's the specialty that does the vehicle stuff.
>>
>>54149773
nigger krak missle will shit upon chimera
>>
>>54125556

I GM so I can't answer for myself, but I take pride in my ability to implement boss mechanics. There's a few contenders, most of them boss fights that explicitly implemented mechanics that made them way more dangerous.

>Equilibrium Gunslinger Magos-Militant who went rogue and tried to educate people about Mechanicus tech-lore

Boss enemy that got reaction-shots - anytime someone shot at him, he immediately counterattacked with his sidearm while dodging. Anytime he counterattacked, the PC in question had to roll vs Suppression.

>Possessed golden statue of a daemon puppeteered by a Herald of Slaanesh

Did a lot of mindfuckery with telepathic abilities to make PCs turn on each-other and fight one another. Had some cannon fodder to back it up.

>A heretek walker like a Sentinel operated by a daemon and a human pilot that used a lot of incendiary weapons

The pilot switched up his fighting style based on how much damage he'd taken, and when the walker eventually got popped open and he got shot to death, the daemon took over and started trying to drag a PC into its cockpit. The gimmick was that the players needed to figure out how to destroy the machine without killing a party member. Whenever it captured a party member it adjusted its own fighting style to match theirs.

>Ork Burna Nob with a bunch of cybork implants and a jetpack

Ded 'ard motherfucker whose gimmick was distracting the party while his boyz closed in. Had a mouth-mounted flamethrower and an internal reservoir of fuel so he could literally breathe fire.
>>
>>54132255
Once again proving that the combination of /k/ and /tg/ knowledge produces the best threads

Also...
>dub dubs
>>
>>54146075
Apparently the trove can't be updated anymore but no one wants to do anything about it.
>>
>>54146686
Maybe they're planning on having it developed AFTER the Fantasy RPG, possibly even waiting to see how commercially successful the new edition is, and THEN announcing the 40k version.
>>
>>54146075
Make a new trove then nigger
>>
>>54146761
I don't think a campaign centred entirely on intraparty conflict would last very long. But who knows?
>>
>>54147316
It was just a joke, mate. Like I said, I wouldn't actually let it happen, I just wanted to share a funny image.
>>
>>54152255
Black Crusade is literally this
>>
>>54147561
Make sure your players know about modern military tactics, like the proper use of suppressive fire to allow movement towards cover.
>>
>>54148071
That's actually a genius idea, never thought about it. Thanks Anon!
>>
>>54139647
You are making an Ascension psyker in DH1e, it doesn't matter what you do, everything in front of you, or behind, maybe to the sides, is as good as dead.
>>
>>54151239
I might steal some of these if you don't mind, really interesting stuff.
>>
>>54152476
It's not CENTRED on it, each party member has some grand destiny to fulfill. Meanwhile, in the all-Navigator party idea, their goal really is to fuck with each other. Might still work though.
>>
>>54148060
What edition, and what is his character?
Also, do NOT be afraid to throw shit at the party because it's "too hard", that is missing the point.
Are your enemies using shit like grenades, suppressing fire, the advantage of range and cover?
>>
>>54149773
>rockets and mines are weak in this system
Anon, something isn't weak just because it can't oneshot a tank chassis.
>>
>>54152674
My players certainly think so, to the point where adventure highlights will invariably include the boss battle. My players still talk about the Equilibrium Magos's gun kata bullshit, and that came on the tail end of an in-depth investigation where they actually matched wits with the guy before they fought him. Really rock-solid adventure, glad I ran it.
>>
>>54146127
How's this for a oneshot premise:
The Gate Adament, an Armageddon-class battlecruiser, is home to several Navigators. During what was divined to be a "normal" Warp jump, contact is lost with the main Navigator and the ship "stalls" in the Warp. Due to Warp fuckery, the interior of the ship, well, warps, and makes simply breaking into the Navigator's sanctum extremely difficult. The other Navigators must navigate (heh) their way through a ship whose interior is no longer linear and is filled with all sorts of horrors, both mundane and Warp-based.
>>
>>54151239
These are way cooler than my boss battles. My best (and only really), was;
>Daemonic Echo of an Inquisitors bodyguard
A sword-wielding echo of the future. It was empowered by three statues that provided a different phase of the fight. Duty, Regret and Anger. The Echo approaches each of these statues and beseeches them for its favour. While enacting its duty it had a sword and shield and caused fear. While Regretful it discarded the Sword and hid behind the tower shield, becoming a lot harder to kill. Attacking it caused an explosive rune to appear under the attackers feet that detonated on the Echos next turn. While Angry, it wielded the sword in two hands and went full Artorias, catapulting itself at whoever attacked it on their turn and causing a giant explosion. The key to winning the fight was destroying the Statues, it took the PCs a while to figure out as he went through the phases multiple times.
>>
Are the sacristans of the imperial knights members of the knight houses semselves?
I thought about making a admech crusader from a feudal world and wondered how valid it would be to play him as an offspring who got fed up with having to repair his siblings titans.
>>
>>54155381

They are. They're like Techmarines, half mechanicus and half knight house.
>>
File: sacristan.jpg (448KB, 884x1151px) Image search: [Google]
sacristan.jpg
448KB, 884x1151px
>>54155430
Alright, thanks!
>>
>>54155381
They're members of the House in the way that they're servants, close allies and quasi-priesthood. Sacristans are however not part of the noble families that make up the Knight House and the Scions that pilot the Knights. Sacristans instead form their own cultish-brotherhood trained by the AdMech and are very similar to them because of it.

Your character idea would only work if your character had willingly or unwillingly given up any succession rights (or similar fuckery due to his parent House succession laws) to be able to pilot a Knight and then chose to become a Sacristan, which probably be seen as somewhat disgraceful.

>>54155707
Also, I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be a Sacristan. They're described to be baseline humans in the Codex.
>>
>>54155945
Lexicanum says that sacristans can come from all levels of society. It also states that they are full members of the cult mechanicus, so escalating augmentations seem appropriate. Source is the 6th Edition Knight Codex, which is also where the picture is from if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>54156348
>It also states that they are full members of the cult mechanicus, so escalating augmentations seem appropriate
Maybe. The codex is not very explicit about it and iirc they're not full members of the priesthood. So it's a "your dudes" kind of deal I suppose.
>Source is the 6th Edition Knight Codex, which is also where the picture is from if I'm not mistaken.
And it's not explicitly said to be a Sacristan or printed near the Sacristan fluff as far as I can tell, but the epub version I have butchers layout.
>>
>>54155259
Hey man, it was a fun as fuck bossfight. And the Bloodborne music was the icing on the cake.
>>
>>54125556
So what's up with the combined armory? Every tab with gear is just empty.
>>
>>54157105

Click the plus signs on the side.
>>
>>54155259

Are we talking about bosses now? I had a Tzeentch lord of change split up like the ghost in the ocarina of time forest temple. My players had to figure out the real one when he attacked with an awareness to spot differences.
>>
Primaris Bolt Rifle

Basic, 120m, S/3/-, 1d10+9X, Pen 5, Clip24, Rld Full, Tearing, 18kg, Extremely Rare.

Count as Heavy if being wielded by Non-Astartes.
Requires Primaris Bolt Rounds (Rarity: Rare)
>>
>>54158359

I'd go with a range of 150 and a Pen of 6, but otherwise, yeah, the bolt rifle is pretty similar to current bolters.
>>
>>54158568
pen 6 would put it at higher pen than a Heavy bolter, and on par with Unique rarity relic/daemon weapons. I can see 150m range though. I arrived at 120m from scaling up tabletop numbers.

I also wanted it to use "Primaris Bolt" ammunition instead of traditional Bolt rounds to make players have to at least manage/acquire ammo separately. Also would allow me to control access to special ammo, IE: "They don't make helfire rounds chambered for Primaris weapons.
>>
How much, if at all, does the Warp's variable time affect your games? Ever had PCs suddenly be in the past or future?
>>
>>54159472
My Rogue Trader campaign is about to come out of a hefty hiatus caused by (besides IRL things) the party arriving five years late to their destination at a time when this was the last thing they needed.
>>
>>54159027

Pen -1 corresponds to AP4 in the old system, which is a range of Pen 5-6. I understand where you're coming from, and an extra point of penetration is a matter of personal preference at that point. Basically, depends on how conservative you want to make it. Pen 5 is certainly within the margin.

As for ammo / weapon rarity, it's a deathwatch weapon, why bother with rarity, unless you intend on porting it to black crusade?
>>
File: Persistence of Memory.jpg (140KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Persistence of Memory.jpg
140KB, 1024x768px
>>54159472

The Cicatrix Maledictum causing time to flow in different ways is actually important for my Only War game somewhat. As for time travel, the only time my players time travelled to different times was when the Ordo Chronos inquisitor bugged them. Changing the past to save the future was actually the objective in one mission, and a good idea in another.
>>
>>54159551

I use BC rarity as my baseline because it's the most plain english. And I use a hybrid of DE2 and BC's requisition system. with some common sense houseruling (No you do not get a bonus to acquire a lascannon because you only want one)
>>
>>54159600
>The Cicatrix Maledictum causing time to flow in different ways is actually important for my Only War game somewhat

I'm trying and failing to determine how such a phenomena is useful.
>>
File: Under Construction.png (2MB, 1051x787px) Image search: [Google]
Under Construction.png
2MB, 1051x787px
>>54159903

Think about it. If there was something REALLY important you had to do, or build, and you needed to do it fast, wouldn't it make sense to go to the places where time moves faster and get your work done there while the rest of the galaxy trundles on in its normal pace? If you could have an hour, a day, or even months for every minute that passed outside, wouldn't this be incredibly...beneficial?
>>
>>54160027
But wouldn't you also age faster and need to eat more often as well, since the time you experience would speed up to match the time that the location is experiencing as well?

It's like like Warp Travel where every day you experience is roughly a week in realspace.
>>
File: Smug Laughter.jpg (225KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Laughter.jpg
225KB, 500x364px
>>54160246

Yes, you would have to worry about those things... if you were a living creature.
>>
So I'm going to be running a Deathwatch game soon, and one of my players is interested in playing Blood Jaguars Librarian. I don't think /tg/ had ever developed an advance table or psychic powers for them, so here's my take on it. What do you guys think, for balance/flavor?
>>
File: Laughing Computer Collage.jpg (30KB, 533x388px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Computer Collage.jpg
30KB, 533x388px
>>54160289

>Ejecat

Literally a psychic fart
>>
>>54160320

I think it's more similar in conception to the DnD spell Cloudkill, but w/e.
>>
>>54159472
My players have started to have to deal with Warp inconsistencies. They seem completely baffled by it, which I suppose is a nice reaction in-character.
>>
>>54148233
Nice. I've read up on fluff around rations so created a shit ton of different typed ones from their homeworld. Basically different areas of their world supply different foodstuffs and rations. They're relatively plain affairs of grox meat but the officers get issued higher quality MRE's and punished units or Penal battalions get the good ol' Soylent Viridians and tasteless energy powder for their water.
>>
To GMs out there, if you had someone get caught by surprise, I mean completely by surprise by a weapon with flame or snare, would you allow them to still test to escape the rider effect, or count it that since they didn't see it coming, they don't get their reaction to it?
I have a bounty hunter creeping up on the party, and I want to be sure what the odds are like (if he gets the drop, he's starting shit off with a webber to lock down a part of the group, then grenades to flush out stragglers).
>>
>>54162063
Look under 'surprise round'.
>>
>>54162095
>At the beginning of a combat, the GM determines whether any characters are Surprised. This can only happen once, at the beginning of a combat, and there will be many combats wherein nobody is Surprised. During the first round of combat, a Surprised
character loses his turn and cannot use Reactions because he has been caught unawares by his enemies.
>says nothing about whether rider effects are auto-succeed or not, just that players do not get reactions
>rider effects are not called reactions anywhere in the book
Thank you for your time, even if it was pointless.
>>
File: Ahriman_battle.jpg (202KB, 682x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Ahriman_battle.jpg
202KB, 682x1020px
Hey all. I'm wanting to try GM'ing a Deathwatch game for some friends. I've never run a rpg before, so does anyone have any advice, especially pertaining to Deathwatch?

Thanks!
>>
>>54162521
Use the errata
>>
>>54162521
Jesus H. Christ, you've sure picked an odd one to start! I'd say write a LOT of notes, because not everyone can be a pro at imPROvising (see what I did there?).

For Deathwatch, try to emphasize the human aspect of the Space Marines. And keep in mind that Hordes CAN be deadly.
>>
>>54162610
We chose Deathwatch as it seemed like it might be a simpler game to get a hang of the FFG system with the lesser focus on story telling and easier gear stuff (with requisition rather than loot, inventory management, selling, etc.)

What are the types of things to focus on with notes?
>>
>>54162727
It can be simple, but don't let them play gun happy robots unless you know they're going to be happy doing that for an entire campaign / its a one shot.
>>
File: IMG_2447.jpg (54KB, 654x534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2447.jpg
54KB, 654x534px
To all you Only War players/GMs. Gimme your regiment.

I need a regiment to turn bad halfway through the game, and I want it to be yours.
>>
File: Stalkers.jpg (110KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
Stalkers.jpg
110KB, 604x453px
>>54163242

1st Chernozem Guerrilla Regiment “Stalkers”

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Ballistic Skill, +6 Perception, -3 Fellowship
Starting Aptitudes: Agility, Ballistic Skill
Starting Skills: Awareness, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Stealth, Survival
Starting Talents: Ambush, Deadeye Shot, Rapid Reaction, Resistance (Cold) or Resistance (Fear) or Resistance (Radiation)
Resourceful: Characters from Chernozem are used to getting by with whatever is at hand – scavenging food, equipment, and whatever else they might need. Stalker characters gain a +10 bonus to Survival Tests to obtain potable food and water, and to Tech-Use Tests to jury-rig or repair equipment that is not overly advanced, as determined by the GM.
Horrors of the Past: Stalker characters start with 1d5 Insanity points.
Survivalists (Rad Wastes): When operating in radioactive terrain, Chernozem Stalkers can re-roll failed Survival and Navigate (Surface) Skill Tests.
Limited Numbers: When a Squad from this regiment requests reinforcements (to replace fallen Comrades), it must make a Hard (-20) Logistics Test if most of the regiment is actively deployed or an Ordinary (+10) Logistics Test if a significant portion of the regiment is not currently in the field (these Tests already include situational modifiers). If it fails, the regiment simply has no reinforcements it can spare for the Squad, and its members must soldier on until they can put in another request for troop support.
Standard Regimental Kit: M36 Lasgun and 2 charge packs, laspistol and 2 charge packs, 2 blind grenades, 2 stun grenades, 2 frag grenades, knife, set of poor weather gear, uniform, flak vest, sling bag, set of basic tools, mess kit, water canteen, blanket, sleeping bag, rechargeable lamp pack, grooming kit, cognomen tags, Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, two weeks' rations, gas mask, survival suit, dataslate, mantrap.
Weight of kit: 19.1 kg
>>
File: 1441936870457.jpg (860KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1441936870457.jpg
860KB, 1680x1050px
>>54163319

Favored Weapons: Missile Launcher w/3 Rad Missiles or any other 3 missiles of one type from the armory, Sniper Rifle

The Chernozem Stalkers are a unit primarily recruited from and named after the 'Stalkers' – hunters, traders, and explorers of their home world, responsible for the survival of buried vaults and surface settlements alike. Made tough by their radioactive homeworld's vicious environment, and with marksman's instincts honed by being the one thing keeping them and their families away from starvation, they were already prepared to wage fierce and cunning war against the enemies of the Imperium when they were recruited. While individual Stalkers may come from the more communal Vault communities or the stubbornly individualistic surface dwellers, the commonality of the Stalker credo and purpose gave them a shared link even before their training.
>>
>>54163242
Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Weapon Skill, +3 Ballistic Skill, +3 Agility, -3 Toughness
Starting Skills: Awareness, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Survival, Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed), Operate (Surface), Tech-Use
Starting Talents: Resistance (Fear) OR Resistance (Cold) OR Resistance (Radiation), Combat Sense OR Accelerated Repairs, Hatred (Orks)

Standard Kit: 1 laspistol +2 clips (Main Weapon), 1 flak vest, 1 knife, 2 weeks rations, 1 set of magnoculars, 1 Tauros, 1 Inhaler, 3 doses of Frenzon, 1 suit of IG flak armor, 2 hunting lances
Favored Weapons: Meltagun, Missile Launcher

Resourceful
+1d5 and +2d10 Insanity Points
Scavangers bonus
Lost Homeworld comrade replacement thing
Normal Wounds
>>
Is there any good houserules for Toxic weapons?
>>
>>54163543
What are you looking for?
>>
>>54163177
Do you have any advice for avoiding that?
>>
>>54163543

What about the current rules doesn't work for you?
>>
>>54163589
I just dont like default "Roll toughness or get another 1d10 damage". It's stupid. I was thinking about applying specific poison effects to any toxic weapon. There are plenty of good poisons in different books but I think it'll make combat even more complicated. So I was thinking maybe someone smarter came up with better idea to represent toxic weapons and creatures.
>>
>>54163625
Look at the effects of drugs when they wear off.
>>
>>54163680
Apply temporary penalties for different characteristics?
>>
>>54163607
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5YFWXuYbtXbRUFjazItWTF4TVU

I've recently been introduced to link related, which gets PCs to establish "bonds" between them. ie;

> _______ mocked me. No one mocks me!
> I have watched _______ run the ship. He should listen to me.
> I like listening to _______ speak. He amuses me

Bonds can change or be resolved as LSM change their perspectives, or replaced if they're not working out. From that place the group can riff off each other, even when there isn't a clear NPC to engage.

Having a clear concept of there being alternatives to combat helps, too. If the PCs know they can potentially get a better (or just different) outcome through assessing their mission and picking between talking / avoidance / logic / fighting for objectives / all out slaughter, then they might potentially pick something other than "kill em all and let the emperor sort it out."
>>
>>54163625
>I just dont like default "Roll toughness or get another 1d10 damage"
Did you read the part where Toxic can be whatever poison effect you want it to be, and the generic Toxic is for lethal weapons like splinterguns and poisonous animals?
>>
My players chose flamers as their main regiment weapon, and they are mechanized infantry too. So I guess I will have a fun only war campaign
>>
>>54164270
Yes I did. Toxic rule can use any poison effect but generic Toxic rule is still dominant. In most weapon and creature profiles it uses default option with additional damage.
>>
File: 1447497727336.jpg (380KB, 702x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1447497727336.jpg
380KB, 702x1008px
>>54163242
How about a regiment that already starts bad and then just turn bad-er?

First Penal Regiment of Angelis

- Penal Regiment
- Bilious Commander
- Close Assault regiment
- Die Hards
- Hardened Fighters

Characterisic modifiers: + Toughness, +3 Weapon Skill, -3 Intelligence
Sarting Aptitude: Toughness
Starting Skills: Dodge, Intimidate, Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Starting Talents: Die Hard, Lightning Reflexes, Paranoia, Peer (Underworld), Street Fighting
Larcenous: +10 on Logistics tests to acquire stolen or illegal items
+1 Wound
Starting gear: Combat shotgun (Main Weapon) with two reloads, Imperial Guard Flak Armour, 3 Frag Grenades, 2 Krak Grenades, Mono knives in lieu of regular ones, Gas mask, Mantrap, Exterminator upgrade on weapon, and of course, the standard kit

Favoured Weapons: Chainaxe, Autocannon

The moon of Angelis orbits what used to be the illustrious planet of Caesar V, a Hive World host to not one, but six hives. The Five Nameless Hives, only ever known by their number, were located in a perfect pentagon around the glorious capital, Mons Imperator, a hive built on the planet's tallest mountain, rising high above the all-permeating layer of noxious pollution that covered the planetary surface, housing only the best, the brightest and noble of the planet, while the other five hives did all the menial labour of resource extraction and industry. Of course, the disenfranchisement of the lesser hives led many among their populations down a criminal path - thus, Angelis, the planet's moon, was turned into a penal mining colony, host to millions upon millions of Caesar V's scum. Things, however, took a spectacular turn when the capital rebelled, fired a devastating salvo out of its great defensive macrocannons at the other five hives, and, led by the treacherous governor, declared total war against the Imperium. (cont.)
>>
File: 1438091025369.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1438091025369.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
>>54164939
The five lesser hives lay in ruins after the devastating macrocannon salvo that signaled the beginning of the rebellion. Thus, the remaining Imperial Adepta made Angelis, the one place untouched by rebellion, their base of operations. The millions upon millions of inmates were quickly conscripted, and armed with everything possible from the last batch of the planetary manufactoria's produce. No expense could be spared, even if it had to be put in the hands of scum - an immediate counterattack was needed.
The fighting that ensued was bloody and merciless. The Angelisian inmates descended upon Mons Imperator, and although overseen by Commissars, Priests, and every other possible authority, the fervour with which they fought wasn't only that of righteous zeal, but hatred against their oppressors.
It quickly became apparent that there was more to this rebellion than meets the eye - the reason the PDF, civilians and nobles all so quickly turned their backs on the Emperor in favor of the governor was a Genestealer Cult operating right out of the Governor's palace. At the cost of millions upon millions of lives, the cult was pushed back, especially as reinforcements started arriving from nearby systems. However, the victory was short-lived: the monstrous masters of the Cult arrived. The Tyranid invasion of the planet began. The prisoners of Angelis fought on, like cornered animals, holding the xenos swarm at bay long enough for the moon, now a fully-fledged base of operations, to be evacuated, and for the planet to be given a mercy blow - an Exterminatus swept all away.

In recognition of their deeds, the scum of Angelis, too, were evacuated - at least those of them that weren't deployed, bogging the Tyranids down long enough to be destroyed. Now, as a reward, they may continue their rampage across the battlefields of the Imperium.

Also, I totally forgot that the explosive collars they wear are also part of their kit.
>>
>>54164939
>>54165101
>Angelis
>Genestealers
>not Orks
what are you doing that isn't how you gorkamorka
>>
>>54165270
Hey, my OW players came up with the names
>>
File: 1432832656217.png (737KB, 874x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1432832656217.png
737KB, 874x1240px
>>54163242
>I need a regiment to turn bad halfway through the game, and I want it to be yours.

Implying GunMetal City's finest would ever turn traitor.

You can have this one instead, because theyre already pretty bad

>The 7th Malfian Gas Guard
>On Malfi, the Gas Guard is an instrument of terror, used to keep the harsh, and utterly vast, division between those in power, and those without it. The Nobility use the Gas Guard to crush dissension, and remind the peasantry that they continue living because their betters allow it. Much like the Death Korps, the Gas Guard are fearless because of their training, as those in the Gas Guard are trained young, at the most impressionable age. They do not shy from any atrocity, and obey without question, killing without mercy. On occasion, the Gas Guard regiments are tithed for local issues, such as the Spinward Front, and at least one Regiment was sent to the Achilus Crusade with the purpose of breaking tau-loyal human auxiliaries
>World: Schola Progenium
>CO: Bilious (Colonel Darius Mandrake)
>Type: Grenadiers
>Doct: Iron Discipline
>Doct: Close Order Drill
>Doct: Combat Drugs
>Flaw: Mistrusted
>Special Equipment: Nightfire Flamers (Inq Handbook pg172), Gas Rounds
>>
>>54164666
So you have expressed license to make the poison effect whatever you want, it's just the 1d10 damage is the standard for most weapons and creatures.
Shit, my players made a bunch of knock out juice for their needle pistols.
>>
>>54160320

Why dont you fuck off to other places like the rest of the tripfags ?
>>
>>54167328
>telling one of the last homebrewers of a dead system to leave
Why don't you go to /pfg/ with the rest of the trash?
>>
>>54167328
Fuck off aspie
>>
>>54167823
>>54167528

>Defending trip-fags

You can fuck off to reddit and tumblr also.
>>
>>54168419
Why do you hate tripfags so much? I get it sometimes for total autists but not so much content creators and artists.
>>
> content creators and artists.

They are trying to become a person in an anonymous image board. There are lots of places you can do that, tumblr,redditr,deviantar etc. But trying to do that here is a new low.

You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
>>
>>54168675

>I'm the last anonymous knight in shining armor!
>>
>>54168419
You should fuck off from this thread because tripfags actually make interesting content while you spew shit you complete mongoloid
>>
>>54168675
With closeted thinking like this /tg/ noawadays rarely get shit done. Fuck off to /b/ if you hate tripfags so much
>>
>>54125556
The most mechanically dangerous enemies my players ever faced were dragon-like chaos spawn on a chaos-infested feudal world. However, the players faced them in assault craft, and their sixtuple automatic laser cannons did a gorillion damage and annihilated the dragons in one turn.

Why would you ever fight on foot when you have a faster than sound VTOL that has no drawbacks?
>>
>>54168895
Not him, but there's really no reason why Shas needs his trip on whenever he's not posting new updates to the homebrew pds.
>>
>>54169156
So people can ask questions, get updates about the games she is running and when player call out is happening, bring to notice rule snafus and poor wording (all of whom has happened in this thread) without poring over every post looking for one that references topical matters or making a doa thread for it alone?
>>
>>54169210
>she

wrong shas. that one disappeared years ago.
>>
>>54169298
He, she, who cares?
It's like God Emps.
I hope she's doing alright
>>
>>54163625

DH1 gm kit and Soul reaver has you covered senpai
>>
Does Chivalry Intensifies have any rules for running chaos knights? Also, are chaos knight households detailed anywhere in the fluff? I'm interested in running a game with them.
>>
File: 1287642545323.jpg (220KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1287642545323.jpg
220KB, 750x1000px
What are the worst odds your character / party has ever faced?
>>
>>54172512
Not specifically, no. But you could easily use the ruleset to run Chaos/Renegade Knights, since it's mostly a matter of flavour and you could port over specific things you want from Black Crusade. Only War is fairly malleable that way.

As for fluff, there's not a lot to go around. But enough for your purposes, I reckon. Most Chaos Knight Houses probably operate as dark mirrors of Imperium and Mechanicus aligned houses. It'd probably be easiest for you to run Freeblades or singular Knights that have fallen to chaos and struck out together, rather than a full House.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Daemon_Knight
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Questor_Traitoris
>>
>>54172660
What sort of things from Black Crusade would work? I suppose you could make a gifts table but for fleshy bits that grow on the knights themselves.
>>
>>54172519
It's a tie between when we failed to prevent anything from a baleful prophecy coming to pass, and the entire planet we were on got invaded by... Multiple Greater Daemons, really, but chiefly Nurgle ones.

All we could do was hide in a bunker, have an Inquisitor there with us call the Grey Knights, then be evacuated before the planet was Exterminatused just to be sure.

The other time the odds were that bad, I'd say, would be when an entire Craftworld descended upon the planet we were on, decimated the Sector fleet, and began a full-scale planetary invasion, all because the Inquisitor PC was secretly consorting with Necrons.
>>
>>54173371
Well there's worse xenos you could consort with.
>>
>>54173371
>began a full-scale planetary invasion, all because the Inquisitor PC was secretly consorting with Necrons

Now I know what to do with one player who want to ask Necrons to make him one of them...
>>
>>54173416
>Well there's worse xenos you could consort with.

Never make a deal with a Tau. He'll fuck you with the fine print.
>>
I'm completely new to 40k and I've got some players saying they want to try Dark Heresy.

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of the system and how to GM for it?
>>
>>54175030

DH1 or DH2?
>>
>>54175164
I'm planning DH2 because I'm 99% sure I've played with a system that was a rip off of it once. Can't remember what it was called, but everything about the mechanics seems very familiar.
>>
>>54175202

Most of the problems are fixed then. Everyone starts out competent, and as long as they emphasize subtlety their job is easy. The less subtle, the more problems are caused. Psykers will still cause problems. The gear of other lines is still compatible.
>>
The hell is a thrallband?
>>
>>54175406
Is it a band of thralls?
>>
>>54175436
Is it just a fancy word the Thousand Sons folk use instead of warband or does it have any extra meaning?
>>
>>54175487
Where did you see it?
>>
>>54175496
40K wikia.
>>
dead thread dead games
>>
>>54175867
trash post trash poster
>>
>>54173303
Don't really know, I'm fairly unfamiliar with Black Crusade in general because I don't like the premise of "HURR BACKSTAB PARTY MEMBERS" built into the system.
>>
File: 1444882919129.jpg (43KB, 597x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444882919129.jpg
43KB, 597x960px
>>54175867
>dead games

A gameline is only dead when something replaces it.

Fuck yourself
>>
Does anyone have a pdf of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade setting book?
>>
>>54175867

Well, we're never getting official sanctioned books again, and homebrew doesn't feel right to use, so yes, we're dead
>>
File: 1497635711420.jpg (29KB, 480x365px) Image search: [Google]
1497635711420.jpg
29KB, 480x365px
>>54176606
>homebrew doesn't feel right to use

Look at him. Look at him and laugh.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497510348257.jpg (37KB, 700x769px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497510348257.jpg
37KB, 700x769px
>>54176606
>both a new WHFRP edition and an Age of Smegmarines RP
>never another 40kRP game again

wouldn't count on it, busteroo
>>
>>54176948

If you want to cheat with homebrew that's fine, but if you do it in MY game, you're getting banned and blacklisted in our town's circle, so it's up to you.
>>
>>54177130
I don't get this perspective. If someone has reasonable, balanced, and setting-appropriate material, there's zero reason to turn into a complete turd of a GM over it. If they don't have the full package for whatever reason(s), then you can help them get there for the game. If that's not the deal, then you're not hating on them for the homebrew - it's something else and you should be man enough to be honest about it.
>>
>>54177315

Don't bother arguing with people like them - they don't care about logical arguments, just "feelings." And since their feels will always be feelier than your feels because that's what they feel, everything against them is automatically wrong.
>>
>>54177315

Everyone thinks 40k should operate a certain way, and if that way is not followed, it's wrong and disrespectful to the setting...in their opinion.
>>
File: 1438750089657.jpg (138KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
1438750089657.jpg
138KB, 1024x717px
>tfw you have owned all the 40krpg books for years but have never played a full game because roll20 dudes are super flaky and IRL friends get bored easily

All I want is one game
>>
What's the closest 40k equivalent to an antitank rifle? The best I can come up with is a sniper rifle or long las with special ammunition.
>>
So, I want to make a Light Stubber

Or, I guess, I want a Heavy Stubber that isn't 35-frikkin-kg's. I want an MG42 Heavy Stubber. The MG 42 is 11kgs

So, other then just dumping the weight from the listed 35kg's, to 11 - should the statline change at all?

This is for Only War (I'm the GM)
>>
>>54175867
Dead for 20 minutes
Calls it a dead game

Boy you betta not.
>>
>>54177589
Turn down the weight, the penetration, and the damage.
>>
>>54177589
>take autogun statline
>make weigh 11kg
>make automatic
>??????
>>
>>54177525
Stalker bolter? Exitus Rifle? Longshot with penetrator rounds?

>>54177589
An autogun with backpack ammo supply or a 200 round mag.
>>
>>54177589
If you also want the absurdly high rate of fire of the MG42, you may also want to give it storm.
>>
>>54177714
I meant for use as an IG heavy/special weapon, to specify.
>>
>>54177664
Then its basically an Autogun, and the stats are literally the same

>>54177703
Heavy Stubber is already Automatic, with a lower RoF then the Autogun, with the same range, but +1 damage (+2 damage with Rogue Trader), and Pen 3 (vs Pen 0 with the Autogun)

>>54177714
A backpack is a great idea

>>54177729
oooh....that might be a bit OP, even if I really want to do that...

I'm currently using the Rogue Trader statline, which represents the "Browning M2" representation (which the weight is similar) - pic related.

The Only War representation sounds like a tune down (>>54177664) that would fit with what im trying to build, but with a Pen of 2, I think, and a RoF of 10
>>
>>54177779
Shield of Humanity longshot.
>>
>>54177814
>Weapon and ammo are both very rare
>regiment has poorly provisioned
I can't decide whether that would be needlessly unfair, or so needlessly unfair it wraps back around to being okay/funny
>>
>>54177784
A Heavy Stubber is a .50 cal, what you are looking for is not. So...
>>
>>54177925

Better yet, have another Regiment in the AO have and use them, so players will have to trade\steal them - which would likely get them into trouble
>>
>>54177925
What do you need the weapon to do? If you need a cheap 'fuck this vehicle' option, the tread fetter in Hammer of the Emperor can suffice as can a missile launcher with krak missiles.
>>
File: Autogun3.jpg (11KB, 508x170px) Image search: [Google]
Autogun3.jpg
11KB, 508x170px
>>54177938

Yeah, I got that.

So, lets say you have a weapon thats basically the Autogun statline with better Penetration, and a backpack of 200 rounds, or drums of ammo that have 50 to 75 rounds...

...is it still a BASIC weapon or a Heavy Weapon?
>>
File: A pious sort.jpg (186KB, 700x639px) Image search: [Google]
A pious sort.jpg
186KB, 700x639px
>>54142432
You got any sort of way to work around the infamy curve? I mean, personally I just houserule that Daemon Princes Undivided are possible (since there are two undivided Daemon Primarchs) but I haven't played enough to know how to take a crunchammer to the Infamy setup
>>
>>54177969
Specifically, I want to make a Space Finns regiment (winter war and/or continuation war), so I need something to represent the Lahti.
>>
>>54177784
>Then its basically an Autogun, and the stats are literally the same

Not really, if it's 1d10+3 pen 2, then it's still better than an autogun.
>>
>>54178013
>20mm
Autocannon with S/-/- ?
>>
>>54178017

I'm considering dropping the Pen to 0 (dam at 1d10+3) and adding Storm, as >>54177729 suggested.

I still think thats a bit OP though...
>>
>>54177925
I dream of the day I can find an online GM who won't bow to pressure against using Poorly Provisioned, etc. Thus far it's been one group after another who balk at not having all the best gear front loaded and readily accessible.
>>
>>54178083
Well in that case, I'd say just make it a straight-up storm gun, double barreled and all. But heavy.
>>
File: 1276067873804.jpg (226KB, 1070x2058px) Image search: [Google]
1276067873804.jpg
226KB, 1070x2058px
>>54178118

As a player I love it when I have to scrounge, work the system, beg barter steal, and kill just to eat and have enough ammo to fight
>>
>>54177487
Try doing short arcs with different systems. I am currently running a series of short arcs all based around the same event. In one series they played as militia, in another Inquisitional Investigators, in another a team of Stormtroopers rescuing a VIP. It helps keep things fresh.
>>
So if las packs can be recharged with heat, does that mean they can lose their charge if sufficiently cold?
>>
>>54178210
No. Why? The will of the omnissiah.
>>
>>54178191
I am playing my first Only War campaign and I drew up a character like that. Any tips on how to play them?
>>
>>54178196
When I say bored, I mean, don't make it 10 minutes into the game bored. They have a great time making characters and then when the nitty gritty starts they want to do something else.
>>
File: 1308259935205.jpg (46KB, 400x582px) Image search: [Google]
1308259935205.jpg
46KB, 400x582px
>>54177130
Damn, I didn't know that much pompous assery could fit into one paragraph.
>>
>>54177130
I don't give a single fuck about your podunk town and the stick you wedged up your own ass about homebrew. If someone sprung homebrew on you and didn't tell you, they're trash, but if you explicitly disallow any homebrew and insist on RAW on its own stupid principles (no matter that DH has clear and present problems), you're a cunt too.
>>
>>54177995
Pick a suitable variant Autogun pattern, add fire selector ( reflects beefing up weapon to handle full auto), add bipod modification (various sources), add beltfed ( BC core).
Give it ROF 0/5/10, counts as basic weapon for SB6+, heavy in all other aspects, e.g. needs to be braced for effective use.
Belt of 100 caseless link = 1.5 kilos

t. ex squad level gpmg (L7a1) gunner.
>>
File: 1499017674015.jpg (41KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
1499017674015.jpg
41KB, 599x337px
Don't mean to be that guy here

But what is the legality of downloading books that are no longer in print? Like not the morality of it, but like how could someone enforce you not taking something that is no longer making money? Do they plan on reprinting the same editions, or create a new edition? This is someone who has never played any of the games.
>>
>>54179210
>The legality
The legality of such practices is who literally gives a fuck.
>>
>>54177487
anon, if you run something warhammer on a weekday evening, I will attend religiously. Got into a Sunday game that I'm happy with but I need more.

Charlemagne - chan#1811 is my discord. Pls
>>
>>54179210
If they reprint it, it might become illegal.

But they won't reprint them. FFG and GW have cut ties as hard as you can cut ties. Download away.
>>
Why does the plasma gun weigh so fucking much?

Rules-wise it doesn't really make sense considering it's not much better than a Boltgun, which is half the weight. And lore wise I always pictured that top tank being full of... yknow, plasma? As in mostly weightless plasma?
>>
>>54179832
Magnets and shielding be heavy.
>>
>>54179832
I've always wondered why the plasma gun in the TTRPG's was pretty weak. On TT is can kill space marines in a hit.
>>
>>54180003
On TT Space Marines are fucking pussies compared to what they are in the fluff.

In the RPG, Plasma Guns are one of the strongest basic weapons out there on Maximal.
>>
>>54180003
On maximal, it can do significant damage to marines in a Basic package at ranges outside of charge range.
>>
File: 1.jpg (842KB, 3056x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
842KB, 3056x1696px
About to start a game. This is what my players cooked up.
They named themselves Kill-Team NOBLE.

Watch Master is mine. A decent single pose model, I guess. He's absurdly tall.
>>
Hey guys, I'm starting to run a Deathwatch game, but I'm using a tweaked version of the system with the "crit" ("Righteous Fury") rules from Deathwatch. This means the "Deathwatch Training" talent does... nothing. Any suggestions for what it should do, to keep it as a little bonus the players have?

I'm thinking that when they crit a xeno, they get to roll 2d5 and keep the highest.
>>
>>54181334
So you don't have them roll to confirm RF by default?
>>
>>54181334

No, because I'm using the Only War Righteous Fury system. Sorry, I mistyped in my first post and said Deathwatch when I meant Only War there.
>>
>>54181334
>>54181419
2d5 drop low sounds good.
>>
>>54177995
3gun-anon here. I've got some experience with the MG42 and the slightly more modern MG3 variant. An MG42 is a strange beast, WW2 MG speaking. See, Germany didn't really have a Light or Heavy MG in the war, they had the MG34 and the MG42. They mostly used the more complicated/expensive 34 for coaxial guns and aircraft weapons, but the biggest difference between the 34 and 42 is ROF (~900 for the 34 and 1800 for the 42) and the fancy rocker trigger in the 34 (pull the bottom half of the trigger for semi, the top for full or vice versa, I never got to shoot a 34). I'm mostly going to talk about the 42, though.

When the Germans issued their 42s, the thing that separated an HMG from an LMG was mounting. HMG was mounted on a tripod, LMG used a bipod. Tripods are heavy as hell but rock solid, bipods are far more maneuverable and lightweight but are less accurate under sustained fire. When I fired my first MG42, it was bipodded and god damn was it a bitch to try to hold accurate fire at the target. First 5 or 10 shots were great, but every shot afterward was mostly just suppressing the ever loving fuck out of the cardboard.

So when you're making your version in game, maybe consider having slightly lower Pen, slightly higher ROF. Also, the thing is kinda long. It wasn't so much the weight I disliked, but the length. Germans think of everything, so they made barrel changes fairly simple so you could just split the barrel from the action when you were marching about.

I'd go with 1d10+3 I, Pen 1, -/6/12, 150m range, Heavy (because you don't take your gun apart if you expect you might need it), mag size of 60 or 90 (drum vs belt with easy math) reload of 2full (3 for the belt). Slap a bipod on there and Robert is your mother's brother.
>>
>>54182145
I'd you want a historically accurate ammo swap, Germans used Incendiary Armor Piercing rounds against light vehicles and developed exploding bullets for use as tracers in the night. The explosive bullets also had the effect of blowing people the fuck up.

Sorry for the second post, field was too long.
>>
File: StA-3 LMG.jpg (158KB, 1214x304px) Image search: [Google]
StA-3 LMG.jpg
158KB, 1214x304px
>>54182145
>I'd go with 1d10+3 I, Pen 1, -/6/12, 150m range, Heavy (because you don't take your gun apart if you expect you might need it), mag size of 60 or 90 (drum vs belt with easy math) reload of 2full (3 for the belt). Slap a bipod on there and Robert is your mother's brother.

Thats where I'm at. Low Pen (compared to your standard Heavy Stub) and 1 works well because the Stub Rifle (not the Autogun) has a Pen of 1 - lower Damage (1d10+3 from 1d10+5), Drum (40 rnds) with a fairly fast reload, Belt (100 rnds) with a 2Full reload, and a Backpack (200 rnds) with no reload whatsoever, because your not issued with spare ammo.

As for firing rate, can you go above 10? I thought that was the balance cap

I'm still considering giving it Storm, but I'm also toying with the idea of giving it a reworked version of Overheat, where instead of it doing damage to the firer when it overheats, it instead causes a Recharge round (where the weapon has to cool off)

>>54182158
>explosive incendiary tracers
That sounds like it could work similar to Amputator shells, and the Incendiary AP's could use the Inferno Shells stats with a penetration boost. I know the PC heavy gunner is gonna get a raging boner at the idea of setting people on fire with bullets
>>
>>54178083
>I still think thats a bit OP though...
And the mg42 was a OP weapon.
Anon, stop being afraid of the players getting nice things.
Sure, it'll rip a human up, but it will slow down orks, is useless on armor and is outright defeated by necrons.
>>
File: 1273450102662.jpg (80KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1273450102662.jpg
80KB, 407x405px
>>54183235
>Anon, stop being afraid of the players getting nice things.

Well I guess I can't argue with that. I'll give it a shot.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.