[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 46

File: swordswordswords.png (1MB, 946x1280px) Image search: [Google]
swordswordswords.png
1MB, 946x1280px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54096466

How many weapons does your character carry?
>>
>>54108799
4, because apparently Warlocks need a crossbow and three daggers.
>>
>>54108799
A single Rapier of Wounding, Shortswords, Multiple Daggers, a hand crossbow. You?
>>
He's a hoarder of swords. I have 23 of them on my character sheet at this point. I wrap them all up in a huge bundle and keep them on my horse

Excluding shatterspike, which I carry
>>
>>54108799

Three, as my character was trained to wield a Javelin, Shortsword, and Dagger at his side.
>>
File: sketch up.jpg (83KB, 631x353px) Image search: [Google]
sketch up.jpg
83KB, 631x353px
Anyone tried Google Sketch Up for making dungeon maps?
>>
So how would someone go about taking those nice top-down Castle Ravenloft maps from roll20 and turning them into image files or a pdf for easy printing?
>>
New DM running a game for all new players. Anyone have any ideas for novel RP encounters I can use to help get my players in character and buy myself another week to prep Phandelver?
>>
>>54108856
>Anyone have any ideas for novel RP encounters I can use to help get my players in character and buy myself another week to prep Phandelver?
The circumstances under which Gundren and Silvar meet the PCs and hire them.
>>
Is it worth swapling my Half-Elf skills for Drow Spells? I'm playing a Variant Half-Drow Druid and the skills are tempting, but those spells are pretty good.

Other option's to ask the DM if she'll let me take the Drow Magic feat from the Racial Feat UA.
>>
File: characterlevel.png (126KB, 1000x734px) Image search: [Google]
characterlevel.png
126KB, 1000x734px
Where would 5e fit on these charts?
>>
>>54108799
0 weapons.
>>
>>54108856

>prep for Phandelver

If you want to run a precursor to that adventure, maybe have Gundren Rockseeker visit them before the journey. Better yet, gather everyone at the tavern first.
>>
File: birb gay.jpg (58KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
birb gay.jpg
58KB, 640x619px
im playing a sorcadin and need some advice on ASI's. I planned on only going pally 3, but now im unsure on whether I should get another level for the ASI. my charisma is only 15 and I intend to get war caster at some point, so I kind of need them
>>
>>54108799
3, two daggers for melee and a light crossbow that never gets used because of Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54108882
>>54108923

Hmm, they're a bit North of Neverwinter right now so fleshing out getting there and meeting Gundren could work
>>
>>54108890
Encumbrance is pretty much never relevant but you get tenser's floating disk as a ritual and artificers can get bag of holding quite early.
So, about level 1-6, when also bear barbarians get double carry weight.

Teleport is a level 7 spell, so level 13 much like 1e.

Light: Light is a cantrip and almost every race has darkvision.

Keys: Acid splash is a cantrip. Just.. Melt the fuck out of everything? Otherwise, thieves get thieves' tools expertise at level 1 and technically can just keep trying until they succeed.

Death - Revivify at 3 limits a lot of certain deaths, but raise dead comes in at about level 9.

Food: Level 3 spell, so level 5.

Nonmagical equipment: I'd imagine by about level 5 but it seriously depends on campaign.

Camping: Leomund's Tiny Hut at level 3 spell so level 5.
>>
File: 1458969169049.gif (491KB, 480x198px) Image search: [Google]
1458969169049.gif
491KB, 480x198px
>Blade Flourish requires a bardic inspiration until lv14
>Slashing Flourish is just a straight d6-d12, no bonus damage
>Mobile Flourish is practically useless
>You can only do a 2nd attack if you use a flourish until lv14
>Defensive Flourish is the only good skill to use

Why is the UA blade bard so damn bad here? Only a portion of characters will ever see lv 14 or higher. But even then, why bother with an essentially useless subclass for weeks or months until then? You might as well just use any other subclass or even multiclass into fighter for much better results for the same style.
>>
File: dead.jpg (29KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
29KB, 250x200px
Did you ever had a game die? How did you deal with forgetting it? Forgetting your PC? How do you make peace with it?
>>
>>54109006
Nonmagical equipment never really becomes useless in 5e. Crowbars and portable rams are always useful, quill and ink and paper are always useful, mundane shields and armor are always useful.
>>
>>54109045
>>Mobile Flourish is practically useless
Free disengage and can push people into envoromental hazards. If you do a PAM build it makes them enter your reach again.

Read the fucking thing, you don't have to use a Bardic die. You should be flourishing every turn even if you don't have any Bardic Dice or don't want to spend them.
>>
File: rip and tear.png (103KB, 283x244px) Image search: [Google]
rip and tear.png
103KB, 283x244px
Why is the Forgotten Realms setting always in chaos? It seems that the entire world is held together by gum, duct-tape, and the sheer will of the Alliances. A commoner can't walk two steps without a dragon burning down a town or giants squishing their loved ones. How does this world stay together?
>>
>>54109045
>People still can't fucking read how Flourish works
>>
>>54109076
I haven't gotten a player killed, except in a literal 30 minute one shot against evil treant.
>>
>>54109096
Because they need to move the setting's timeline forward without killing off beloved characters such as Drizzt, Elminster, and Volo who should actually be dead because he's just a largely-mundane human.
>>
>>54109101

Im okay with a characther dieing. It happens. Seeing a game die with no conclusion is... a bit hard to deal with.
>>
File: Capture.png (168KB, 998x729px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
168KB, 998x729px
>>54108890
If you want it to not be ugly do it yourself.

Left off nonmagic equipment because I don't think there's set numbers for 5e.
>>
>>54109076

>Did you ever had a game die?

twice or thrice if I can recall

>How did you deal with forgetting it?

It hurts the first time, but you don't really forget it.

>Forgetting your PC?

If the character idea was really good, I'd reincorporate them into another campaign. I think of it as an "Alternate Universe" version of them depending where and when it takes place.

>How do you make peace with it?

Like before, it hurts the first time. You halfway expect a campaign to fail and sputter into the night from then on. Hopefully you can get a good DM who can keep a consistent schedule for as long as he can.
>>
>>54109129
Only one I'd maybe disagree with there is teleportation circle because it requires someone to already have the circle set up and to let you use it to get somewhere.
Teleport on the other hand can be used from anywhere no matter how much bullshit the DM tries to convince you of.
>>
>>54109006
>Keys: Acid splash is a cantrip. Just.. Melt the fuck out of everything? Otherwise, thieves get thieves' tools expertise at level 1 and technically can just keep trying until they succeed.

Nearly impossible is DC 30. Can't do that until they hit level 5. But knock is a 2nd level spell anyway, so level 3
>>
Worldbuilding- What's the best way to go about it? Top Down, or Inside out? I don't want to go too in-depth because I'll burn out, but I have a player who does.
>>
>>54109202
16 dexterity + expertise in thieves' tools + guidance = roll of 31 if you have enough time without expending any resources.
>>
>>54109178
In this case I'm assuming it's referring more "from one major city to another", and (depends on setting) most major cities will have at least one Teleportation Circle.
>>
>>54109091
>>54109097
No wait, you're both right. They formatted it weird. I was under the impression that it was like the battle master where you needed to use a defense/slashing/mobile flourish in order to get the extra benefits. I'm retarded.
>>
>>54109230
Just read the spell, you can use teleportation circle from anywhere as long as the destination goes to somewhere with a teleportation circle. And there must probably be somewhere with one.
Though it costs 50gp per use.

But, still, I'd have to agree since even when taken out of the 'from major city to major city' context you can go from 'dungeon to major city'.
>>
How large can I make a map in roll20 before it starts making players on potatoes chug?

Looks like the map I'm making is gonna be at least 300x300 squares.

(Incidentally this means that it's possibly the only situation where Spell Sniper Eldritch Spear might actually work, as that's 1500 feet)
>>
>>54108799
Is there still a DMs Guild Trove about?
>>
>that one boss in the old raid you farm that takes ten thousand years to kill compared to the other bosses

fuck you megaera
fuck you immerseus
>>
>>54108856
Random village of rat people complaining about a rat problem getting into their grain supplies. The rats themselves are super intelligent and are accusing the rat people of exactly the same.
>>
Check this out 5eg https://m.imgur.com/t/funny/ZojOz
>>
>>54109243
Yeah, I will agree they could've just given you +10 speed, extra attack and let you use dice when you hit. Would've been waaaay easier.

As is, it's basically a Valor Bard for people who'd rather do cool shit over helping their allies do cool shit. Which I guess is alright.
>>
File: 1474253623677.jpg (392KB, 900x1134px) Image search: [Google]
1474253623677.jpg
392KB, 900x1134px
>>54109455
I've never seen such a cute rampaging horror.
>>
>>54109455
>D is not for Dragon Dick
Dropped
>>
I gotta build the start of a two-player level 3 campaign to play in two hours
WHAT DO
>>
File: Don't ask stupid questions.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Don't ask stupid questions.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>54109595
LOLIS
>>
File: FLCL.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
FLCL.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>54109595
>>54109642
vs COWTITS
>>
Guys how silly is a warforge twilight druid
>>
>>54108819
This baffled me in chargen as well.

When I got my third dagger, I was like "when the fuck does this end?" Because it just felt like I kept getting more weapons thrown at me for no discernable reason.
>>
File: CMo3WyTUcAA6Ueu.jpg (13KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
CMo3WyTUcAA6Ueu.jpg
13KB, 253x238px
>We're trying to get into a kobold hide-out to rescue some silly paladin who got done in by them
>"getting in there head on is a suicide, we need to think of something"
>Our bard concludes "I'll disguise self as one of them"
>you cant be serious, you're an elf
>Rest of party goes along with the plan, and actually come up with ways to enhance that disguise
>There he goes, the bard
>It's actually working
>However, I forgot to mention one thing
>He's a Chaotic Randumb
>manages to find the paladin, in the midst of a ritual fit for a hell scene
>Cure Wounds on him, right in front of every kobold and skeleton, when he's all by himself
>youcantbeserious.png
>>
>>54109642
>>54109710
Have been at war since times primordial. But prophecy speaks of one that shall make peaces between the two, one that shall unit them into new age of prosperity. Are you bad enough dude to find COWTITS LOLI help her achieve the great destiny?
>>
>>54108799
>How many weapons does your character carry?
6 daggers, a belt with 20 throwing darts, 2 short swords, a longsword, and a hand crossbow.

It's a Monk at level 15. He got tired of having to beat up bandits who thought he was unarmed. Now he walks around with a small arsenal he will never actually use, but ay least it serves its purpose.

It also helps lower the guard of enemies when they catch him unarmed.
>>
>>54109750
Depends if you're doing it in Eberron's established lore or some shit setting that isn't Eberron. In Eberron it's a great idea to explore.
>>
>>54109781
Well don't forget that daggers are technically thrown weapons, so a Rogue or whatever could throw them away (literally) and need extras.
>>
If I take mask of many faces and combine it with friends in a GOO warlock for an OotA game, could I get up to many shenanigans?
>>
>>54109935
Yes.

Warlocks are insanely good at this kind of shit.
>>
>>54109833
honestly it is just forest guardian of sorts, built with
>>
I have a question foto you guys at /tg/.

Me and my friends started playing D&D recently. We're having a blast, but there's a few things I miss/want and I'm unsure how to tell my DM.
Short background: we're all completely new to table top gaming and bought the Starter Set. I'm the most interested in lore/rules, so I got the PHB. One guy is creative, knows how to improvise and can tell a nice story, so he was the obvious choice for DM. I think he's doing a great job, but often he doesn't know the rules and makes stuff up. It usually works good enough, but sometimes it makes some players completely useless.
Today was kind of extreme. My character died because the DM misjudged a few rules and made up one or two. First, he wouldn't let me push back an owl bear with my eldritch blast. Which is fine and seems logical. Then the owlbear charged me and provoked 3 opportunity attacks which all had to be taken at disadvantage. The bear mauled me and I went down. We chased it off, but later encountered it again. I was down again (low HP from last encounter) and out tried to stabilize me and roller a 11 in his medicine check. Apparently this was not enough. Then, the bear tried to escape but I was in his path (unconciouss behind a wall) and he attacked me again with multiattack. I informed the DM (first time) that melee attacks against downed targets are considered criticals and a multi attack would right out kill me. I saw his eyes flash with 'oh fuck what did I do' but that's how my character died.

I was kinda bummed but OK with it and already thinking of what other character to roll (to get my mind of it). Then the party magically found a scroll of revifify and I lived once more.

There was some awesome RPing and it was kinda cool in the end, but I don't know if I should confront the DM about this? He misjudged or didn't know many rules and completely fucked my character over, but the story got a really nice twist because of it.

What do?
>>
>>54110060
If you're all new being a rules lawyer isn't so bad since everyone (including the DM) is still learning.

Just don't be a preachy asshole about it and remember that DM rules are final. Nothing wrong with saying "well the rules are X but you're the boss", something wrong with "NOT RAW NOT RAW RREEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>54110060

Shit the grammar and layout are complete fucked. Sorry for phoneposting and blogposting.
>>
>>54109993
:D fantastic, good to know. Thanks heaps bro.
>>
The Astral Plane is basically the passage between the material world and the different "afterlife", right? Can I make a character harness the magic of the Astral Plane and said is being powered by the dead?
>>
>>54110060
If you took Repelling Blast, you can move creatures hit with your attacks. You can set reasonable limits but come the fuck on, owlbears are only Large. If you can't even move Large creatures might as well switch it to something else.

Point out that stabilizing a dying creature is DC10 Medicine check.

The rest sound like standard newbie DM mistakes about misjudging how enemies should behave.
>>
>>54110060
>he wouldn't let me push back an owl bear with my eldritch blast.
He totally should, or at least ask for him to replace your invocation because he fucked your char up and made it useless.

>Then the owlbear charged me and provoked 3 opportunity attacks which all had to be taken at disadvantage.
Why disadvantage?

>tried to stabilize me and roller a 11 in his medicine check. Apparently this was not enough.
What was the reasoning of this?

>I was in his path (unconciouss behind a wall)
He attack you over a wall or what?

>I don't know if I should confront the DM about this?
Please do, but in a friendly way, everyone's learning here.
>>
A player of mine wants to play Witcher in Curse of Strahd, but I've never played that game and have no idea on how to go about it.

I'm about to resign myself to allow Mercer's Bloodhunter but first I wanted to see if the hive mind knew any more obvious way around
>>
>>54110200
There's that weird warlock witcher build thing
>>
>>54110060
It sound like that owlbear really had a bone to pick with you, did you do something to piss it off or the GM just focus in you because FUCK YOU?
>>
>>54110114

Yeah I try to keep it at minimum, because I'm already known as a 'rules lawyer'. It's because I'm literally the only one who actually knows them and my party already thinks I'm being a 'rules lawyer' when I simply suggest a rule to the DM (seriously, not REEing or whatever). They feel like you are never EVER allowed to question the DM (mostly due to memes). I completely let it all happen tonight, but naturally felt a bit fucked over (why didn't my blast push him away? Why did opportunities had to be taken at disadvantage? Why was a 11 on a medicine check not enough to stabilize me? Why did a fleeing owlbear attack me when I was down next to a wall?) I sincerely think he just wanted to startle me, since I'm always hiding on the backline behind cover etc., but it caused my character to die and 'magically' ressurected (I'd rather he stay dead for RP reasons.. kinds weird they just happen to find a revifify scroll in the room that he just died in).

Not really sure what to tell the DM, since the whole scenario DID create the most intense RPing we've had thus far. I'm not mad or upset it happened, but I'd rather prevent it from happening again.
>>
>>54110219
The Hexblade? I don't know man, those Unearthed Arcanas are weird
>>
>>54107167
You know Roll20 IS wotc now, right?
>>
File: fucking invincible.jpg (22KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
fucking invincible.jpg
22KB, 300x420px
How do I make a Sundowner vampire bossfight?
>>
>>54109340
There used to be, but it went down because of drama or something. Best you can do is look around yourself. What do you want, anyways?
>>
>>54110200
>wandering monster hunters skilled in quick, dexterous attacks and minor magic

literally rangers
>>
>>54110291
Yeah but I get somenpushback because the spells are too diferent
>>
>>54110195

>Why disadvantage?
I think because it broke through a door we wanted to open, but I was in the back toe and had already attacked (so no suprise)

>What was the reasoning of this?
Probably lack of knowledge on rules

>He attack you over a wall or what?
Open door, and then to the side slumped against a wall

>Please do, but in a friendly way, everyone's learning here.
We're good friends IRL, I'll find wat to tell him. The problem is that it lead to great RPing of the entire party, which was honestly amazing so I have mixed feelings about it.
>>54110247
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think the DM tried to make me feel less safe since I hardly take any damage because I keep to the back and behind cover. I'm 99% sure the DM wasn't actively trying to kill my character, but because of lack of knowledge on the rules it happened all the same.
>>
>>54108856
One night at a tavern before the adventure starts, some local jack ass' are harassing one of the barmaids or server boys. Many of the other patreons are visibly uncomfortable and the barkeep looks like he wants to say something, but is just a small man versus several thugs. It's not a matter worth killing anyone other, but something should probably be done...
>>
>>54109129
>using spell slots instead of carrying food or hunting

lol
>>
File: omnicronemed.gif (9KB, 144x144px) Image search: [Google]
omnicronemed.gif
9KB, 144x144px
I wanna wield a morningstar while casting lots of spells, mostly buffs and lightning attacks.

Eldritch Knight, right? Or would Paladin offer me more?
>>
>>54108799
Everything my character carries, excluding their leather armor, can be weaponized.
10 Ball Bearing Bags, 2 10 ft chains, Crowbar, 2 Grappling Hooks, Healer's Kit, 10 oil flasks, 100 pitons, 50 ft rope, 50 bars of soap, 10 Empty Vials, 10 Steel Mirrors, Iron Pot, 100 chalk pieces, 5 Waterskins, 1 lb Cinnamon, Hammer, Portable Ram, 10 Telescoping ladders, 5 block and tackles, 100 candles, Bullseye Lantern, 1 ink bottle, and Fishing Tackle. I've used half of those to kill someone, and have plans for the other half.
>>
Which book is the warforged in?
>>
File: car.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
what's the point of warlocks? i mean this seriously, i find the flavor/lore really interesting and i feel like it opens up a lot of options for cool characters, but mechanically, i can't decipher what the warlock is supposed to be.

what is the purpose of a warlock? what do warlocks do better than any other class? what options do they have that no other class has equal access to?

or are all the memes about them being Eldritch Blast turrets true
>>
>>54110407
Yes
>>
>>54108846
Oooh! Tell me more.
>>
>>54110366
I'd say Tempst Cleric or Stone sorcerer
>>
File: follo.png (80KB, 270x269px) Image search: [Google]
follo.png
80KB, 270x269px
>they don't keep track of their DPR every game and compare totals at the end of the campaign

how...how else do you determine who wins?
>>
>>54110366
All Eldritch Knight casts is Shield and the occasional damage cantrip.

Paladin is the better gish, but they don't get to shoot lightning unless they multiclass into Sorcerer or Warlock (the latter who gets the always excellent Eldritch Blast).

I'd say, your best bet is Hexblade. Medium Armor, Shield & Morningstar, either shoots Eldritch Blast or hits with their weapon.

Fighter 1 / Fiend Warlock X also works if UA isn't allowed but the lightning shooting won't be as effective.
>>
>>54110407

I guess lots of control? Eldritch Blast can push creatures into a spell radius (like Hunger of Hadar) plus reliability (low amount of spellslots, but regain them more easily).

Not so sure desu. Fairly new player myself, but loving my Warlock thus dat, albeit it being mostly for flavour reasons.
>>
>>54110370
Calm down, Jackie Chan.
>>
>>54110322
When I give feedback to my DM I generally write in bullet points (like how you're replying) everything I found "wrong", plus some session commentary to sum the feel of the session, non-DM related stuff like "wow, he totally saved us on that part".
It has been working pretty good for 8 sessions now, so I'd advise you to do something like that.
>>
Should I take spell sniper for my warlock? Having to switch to Sacred Flame instead of Eldritch blast for cover suck.
>>
>>54110366
Tempest Cleric w/ Magic Initiate to grab Booming Blade.
>>
>>54110447

Thanks for the tip anon. Will remember and make a list. Next session is monday (already looking forward), so I'll try to have a talk tomorrow.
>>
>>54110407
They can be decent spell swords with Hexblade and some Sorcerer/Pally levels make them quite scary. Also yes EB spam + Hex is really effective.
>>
>>54110200
Monster Hunter Fighter with Magic Initiate. Also remind him that no, you're not as powerful as most Witchers at low levels. So you can't expect a complete mastery of all Witcher abilities for a few levels.

Another option's Eldritch Knight if you don't want to go UA.
>>
>>54110462
>>54110421
But my CURRENT character is a Tempest Cleric! I just like thunder and lightning, I guess?

>>54110438
I looked into Hexblade but a lot of its flavor seems weird and strange. Like, the shadowy dog? It's cool I guess but I just don't get it.
>>
File: PrisonB.png (80KB, 1186x593px) Image search: [Google]
PrisonB.png
80KB, 1186x593px
>>54108846
Seems like it could work
>>
Way of the Sun Monk. What else do I need to finish my Saiyan build?
>>
>had to dump all of my Psi points just to avoid the edgy fighter trying to kill me
I hate PvP.
>>
>>54110511
Stone sorcerer can still work. You use a morningstar and shield, cantrip is booming blade, smite is thunderous smite and you get access to any thunder/lightning spell a sorcerer would normally have
>>
>>54110540
Whenever you attack with a Radiant ability, the game closes until next week.
>>
>>54109455
That is adorable, anon.
>>
>>54110322
Suggest to you GM to take into account the intelligence of the creatures his using when is choosing targets, low intelligence creatures are just going to hit what is closer and what does the most damage, medium intelligence creatures are also going to hit what is closer but they can pick strategic targets (like cleric and bard) when they see them and high intelligence creatures are usually going to pick strategic targets from the get go.
>>
EN5IDERanon here. Updated it again. Check out "A Touch of Class".

https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
>>
>>54110575
Fucking kill him then, I have a mystic and I'm pretty sure I can kill/disable my whole party without fucking trying and we are only level 5.
>>
>>54110634
>EN5IDER
?
>>
File: IMG_0683.png (313KB, 423x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0683.png
313KB, 423x500px
>>54110582
>>
Has anybody made battlemats and printed them at staples or something like that

The prices are actually not bad for a really decent size. Thinking about doing it for a potentially big encounter with a Behir.
>>
>>54109278
You might want to break it up into smaller squares, and have each on a separate page.
>>
>>54110650
I'm a Soul Knife with Blind Spot, Psychic Hammer, Precognition and Celerity.

I barely managed to down him.
>>
>>54110654
Enworld runs a patreon where they upload paid homebrew. The content is usually good but painfully short.
>>
>>54110674
Oh I see, thanks!
>>
File: MLGLvx8.jpg (297KB, 900x1134px) Image search: [Google]
MLGLvx8.jpg
297KB, 900x1134px
>>54109493
>>54110604
>>
>>54110634
I'm probably going to make an index.txt file that sorts them by type (NPCs, spells, locations, etc.)
>>
>>54110282
That's a shame. Didn't find any torrents either. I guess maybe there's people on the DC++ hubs that has them?

Nothing in particular, havent looked much at it, just general inspiration and see if I found anything good, which there probably are, atleast enough for some inspiration.
>>
>>54110407
They're a middle-of-the-road caster class that excels during long adventuring days (which unfortunately doesn't happen very often.)
Compared to other classes in general (not other casters necessarily) they are above average when it comes to toughness due to d8 hit die and CON as your secondary ability score, coupled with Light Armor and the option to go for Medium Armor and a Shield with a feat.

They also have some of the best at-will crowd control in Repelling Blast, which means they combo well with other casters.

That said, the class could really use a bump. I gave my warlock PC a Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 at 3rd level, along with his other Pact Boon (which is supposed to be a sort of "anniversary fruit basket from the boss" type gift from your Patron anyway) and its activated ability (an extra warlock spell, daily) goes a long way toward mitigating the problem.

The problem being that neither the average, nor the most common (median), "adventuring day" in most D&D groups is actually anywhere near as long as the D&D 5e design team assumes it is (which is incidentally also one of several huge reasons why the encounter balancing guidelines are so bad.

If people had over a dozen combats and at least two rests almost every adventuring day (with some being much longer, others much shorter) then Warlocks would be roughly as good as Wizards. But they wouldn't even surpass them.

I expect them to fix this by releasing some seriously suped-up new Invocation options and spells for warlocks down the line, but as it is I strongly suggest that GMs give them a free "warlock stick"
>>
>>54110672
That sucks, I'm an Order of the Avatar, and I have scale-mail with a shield and spear. And if people start talking shit just use Call to Inaction to disable them and if somehow they save and try to meta game attack me I bonus action Ogre Form and use Animate weapon to kill them. It only has happened once for me because they were possessed.
>>
>>54110282
Not him, but does anyone has a link for adventures that were previously featured on Dragon+?
I only got Trouble In Waterdeep and can't get the older ones.
>>
File: Talents PDF Cover.png (616KB, 652x840px) Image search: [Google]
Talents PDF Cover.png
616KB, 652x840px
>>54110282
Not him, but I really want this.
>>
>>54109782
>Bard
Cure wounds
>>
>>54110407
It excels at pushing creatures around and multiclassing into sorcerer/paladin/whatever.
>>
Is death cleric worth playing? The domain things seem like they aren't going to come up very often
>>
>>54110840
Oh, yeah, that one did look interesting. If nothing else just to make some extra feats out of it.
>>
>>54110816
>I strongly suggest that GMs give them a free "warlock stick"
I can't wait for my DM to drop this somewhere in my game. Already got a Wand of Wonder for the lulz, though
>>
How does the goblin racial feat "Fury of the Small" work with magic missile?

Does the damage increase on every missile?
>>
>>54110884
Death Cleric is pretty good. Reaper is better now that Toll the Dead has been added to the Cleric spell list. Touch of Death is also good in combination with Spiritual Weapon spam. Its a good damage dealer, if nothing else.
>>
>>54110840
Oh yeah, this talent book.

Has anyone here used this yet or even scanned through it? It really interests me.
>>
>>54110904
It's extra damage, so I assume it's 'you cast magic missile.. And then also you get this, too'
So it doesn't buff the magic missile spell itself.
>>
>>54110884
It's pretty good. Ask your DM very, very nicely to let you swap Divine Strike for Potent Casting, because with Reaper you'll likely be Cantrip spamming anyway.

Toll the Dead and Chill Touch should be your two damage cantrips and both do respectable damage. Your Channel Divinity is a solid scaling damage boost on a short rest. If you ever find yourself low on health and in melee range use Vampiric Touch + Touch of Death to drain a ton of HP from them.

Remember that just because you're not getting bonuses, doesn't mean Animate Dead isn't powerful. Getting 4 Skeleton Archers can be a fairly big damage boost at level 5.
>>
>>54110955
Twilight druid damage die do apply to every magic missile though, so it could go either way.
>>
>>54110904
>Does the damage increase on every missile?
No, it applies an additional damage after you deal the spell damage

>>54111062
>Twilight druid damage die do apply to every magic missile though, so it could go either way.
That's because Harvest's Scythe is extra damage to the roll
>>
>>54111062
It depends on the reading.

If you consider it to be 'the spell causes an extra damage effect' then it's one way.
If you consider it to be 'the spell's damage is increased' then it's that way.

Yeah, re-reading it I'm not actually sure now.
>>
>>54111062
>>54111147
Actually, reading it a third time now:
Note that it says 'when you damage a creature'
Thus it happens after magic missile's damage.
>>
>>54111062
>Twilight druid damage die do apply to every magic missile though
Because the damage die for magic missile is a 1d4+1, not 3 times 1d4+1.

Every missile hits at the same time, so it should apply for all missiles that hit the creature. It's really open to discussion, I'm just sure it shouldn't work with spells like Scorching Ray because the rays are separate.
>>
>>54111190
>I'm just sure it shouldn't work with spells like Scorching Ray because the rays are separate.
And you are right
>>
>>54109750

Nothing wrong with it. Warforged walk on all paths in life.

They have no inherent connection to nature, but then neither do most humans.
>>
How, as a DM, do you effectively use Divine Awareness on angels? What if a player lies, but even the DM isn't aware that it's a lie? Should you metagame beforehand and ask for a gentleman's agreement with the players to not lie? Not really sure how to approach this.
>>
>>54111328
Why would the player have any secrets from the DM?
>>
>>54111328
The players can lie to the NPCs, but should not lie to the DM.
>>
>>54111342
>>54111352
Good point. I don't know how I so frequently miss quite obvious ideas. Thanks, that helps a lot.
>>
Which is the spookier implication for a human posessed directly by a GOO? Some of the PCs have abilities to see into the Astral Plane.
PCs know there's something off but don't know what, some just think he's an eccentric nutter.
>Appears twisted and monstrous (enough it forces WIS save or causes Fear) on the astral plane, in an "Uncanny Valley ramped to 11" way rather than "this guy is clearly a squid in pants"
>Appears as a moving, empty corpse on the astral plane (beings with souls have a visible "spark" to them, this guy doesn't- a successful Perception check sees thin filaments akin to the Astral Projection spell entering his body at the joints like a puppet

If you have other suggestions lay em on me nigga
>>
>>54111403
Do the puppet one.
>>
R8 my PC idea:

Firbolg Cleric of the Trickery domain named Loki
>>
>>54111403
Give him the corpselook and filaments leading to one of these is hovering over him in the astral plane. WIS save against psychic damage if they look directly at it.

Then they notice filaments coming off the creature going further out
>>
>>54111460
That's actually a bit close to the plan- if they decide to try to look where the filaments lead they'll see what at first looks like a giant creature, but upon closer (psychic damaging) investigation is just a single tentacle splitting into "Fingers" at its end.
>>
>>54111439
That's not a PC idea, that's just a class and race. What's his personality? What's his motivation?
>>
>>54108849
Are there roll 20 maps any different from the printed ones?
>>
>>54111567
Murderhobos don't have personality, anon
>>
File: Memo_20170620_105919_01.jpg (128KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Memo_20170620_105919_01.jpg
128KB, 792x1102px
>>54111514
Something along these lines.
>>
>>54111599
>Murderhobo
0/8 then m8.
>>
Gimmy your best female elf names
>>
>>54111764
Tammy.
>>
>>54111764
Galadriel
>>
>>54111764
Drizta
>>
Game that died was starting about this time. What do I full this slot with? Should I dm a game,?
>>
>>54110634
I want to like the Cardcaster... but you get tied to an RNG mechanic and effectively only get 2 spells per day at level 1? The cantrips you get aren't great either.
>>
>>54111764
Rozalin
Elaina
Elora
Lyre
>>
File: DnDCardplayerclass.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DnDCardplayerclass.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54111814
It's all shit like most homebrew.

This is one I'm posting is still not great but it's better than whatever the heck that probably is. Probably.
>>
new to 5e, i heard wizards are op is that true? i wanna roll a gnome wizard but i dont wanna be stupidly op
>>
>>54111764
Nethadril.

Now someone give me Male Drow names.
>>
>>54111896
They aren't that OP. Don't listen to most people's complaints about it. Its just because they have the ability to be very versatile, but thats their whole job. Its what they bring to the table. Versatility and utility.

If you want damage be a warlock or sorcerer, if you want utility be a wizard.
>>
Creating a Dwarf whose dream in life is to run and own a Tavern. I want him to be a caster but I'm having difficulty finding out which class would be the best fit for him.
>>
>>54111888
>most homebrew
Of all the Homebrew I've worked with, this list is the stuff that doesn't make me want to kill myself

>Pugilist
>Magus
>Shaman (by Michael Wolf)
>Blood Hunter
>Kensai and Shogun from Heroes of the Orient

And that's it.
>>
>>54111896
No they aren't
>>
File: Character_Options_Talents.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Character_Options_Talents.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>54110936
I bought it yesterday, disappointing use of 10 dollars.
>>
>>54111924

Mountain Dwarf Wizard. Heavily Armored at 4. Wear plate, versatile wield a hammer or axe, cast all the spells.
>>
>>54111923
>If you want damage be a warlock or sorcerer
Wizards deal more damage than sorcerers
>>
>>54111896
No. Lore Bard and Moon Druid are OP, Wizard's on the same level as other fullcasters.

The meme is that Wizard's always shat all over everyone, when in reality they were never the strongest class. In 3.5e CoDzilla was very alive and real.

In 5e though no class is that OP it will ruin the game. There's a power gap but it's small enough that every class can be fun and effective at it's role.
>>
>>54111921

Nierv'Ane
Toros'Jo
Fi'lfur-Thanin
Vurd'oc Wuro
>>
>>54111966
>Lore Bard
C'mon, lore bard is only okay, no damage and two spells at 6th level (pretty late) hardly makes a big difference when the wizard probably knows them too.
>>
>>54111966

This, especially since the skilly classes have all of one or two more skills than anyone else, and anyone can effectively have whatever skill they want through their background. The system itself doesn't fuck over martials as much (full attack with movement and can split movement, dex to attack and damage for no feat taxes, etc), and the broad but necessary and effective nerf to spellcasting that is Concentration make for a narrower power gap; one that means almost nobody ever feels useless.
>>
>>54109096

In lore, the character's have the good sense to run.
>>
>>54111966
>Moon Druid OP

You realize Moon Druid is considered the next worst archetype after the Failure Trinity (Beastmaster, Berserker, 4 Elements)?

Moon Druid falls off fucking HARD after level 2. The only way to make combat wild shape be worth a damn is dipping Barbarian.
>>
>>54112028
>and the broad but necessary and effective nerf to spellcasting that is Concentration make for a narrower power gap; one that means almost nobody ever feels useless.
Don't forget that there is a save every turn now
>>
>>54112048
It's a great archetype... from level 2 to 4

>Failure Trinity
I laughed
>>
>>54112048
What's wrong with Polar Bear at 6? 20 STR and two capable attacks is the same as any other martial, plus good movement speed. Their HP and AC aren't the best, granted, but they can heal as a bonus action.
>>
>>54111995
>Thinks damage measures how OP a class is
I mean I guess some people only care about combat right?
>>
>>54111995
The difference is Lore Bard gets their short rest Bardic Dice and can know any spell. They don't have to take Wizard spells if that's not what's needed.

They can take any spell that can do the most for the party. Before level 6 Wizard doesn't even have any good exclusives.

Another good way to think about it is this. Wizard gets short rest recharge (really good) and some situational stuff from their subclass.

Lore Bard gets 3 more skills, armour, weapons, Bardic Insperation on short rests at 5, Countercharm and can pick the best spells from ANY class. Wizard's good exclusives don't happen until about level 9, whereas low level Druid and Cleric spells can be much better picks.

>>54112048
I agree. Moon Druid is a badly designed option because it swings between completely blowing everyone out the water, to being damn useless. I'd say there's enough levels overall where it's OP to make it feel overpowered in a game beginning at level 1.
>>
>>54112061

A save every turn for many effects was a thing in 3.5, wasn't it? Or at least it was heading that direction with Hold Person.
>>
>>54110540

Hair gel.
>>
File: 1448908442002.png (181KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
1448908442002.png
181KB, 600x590px
>>54111934
>Pugilist
Agreed, I like this class, the only thing I don't like is the ambiguity around the Haymaker ability and whether or not they get sneak attacks.

>Magus
I like this one too, I know a lot of people don't like it here though due to their being so many options for spell blades. The Enspell and Agis features are constantly debated.

>Shaman
I have never heard of this one mind if I glean some knowledge and wisdom about it?

>Blood Hunter
I added this to my game recently, but no one has picked it up quite yet, maybe one day. What's your experience with it?

>Kensai and Shogun
Also never heard of this one, once again, care to share some wisdom?
>>
>>54112048
>Falls off hard
>Big HP buffer on a full caster that can also be used for utility and also they're a full caster and they have two uses of it every short rest as a bonus action oh and also they're a full caster.
>>
>>54112128
>Big HP buffer on a full caster
They can't cast spells so they essentially gimped themselves if they shapeshift.

>that can also be used for utility
You don't need Moon Circle for this

>and also they're a full caster
Without spell recovery or extra spells like land, or "circle dice" like twilight and dreams
>>
>>54111934
>Pugilist
It's lackluster. It's servicable, but doesn't fulfill any role other than 'I want to be a monk but use strength'. It's just a lame barbarogue refluffed to using fists.

>Magus
From what I saw I.. Didn't see much in this either. At least it was trying to fill a hole of an arcaneycaster we're missing, though.

>Shaman
Eh, I can't remember enough to say anything on it.

>Blood Hunter
I'd still say it's not quite UA class quality like artificer or mystic but it's almost there. By design intent it's the best in that it tries to fill a gap that's really kinda missing - a bladelockish person who hurts themself a bit / glass cannons out.

>Kensai/Shogun
Absolutely no idea.
>>
>>54112121
>Shaman
Shaman is a Charisma based caster that draws their power either from the spirits of the dead or the elements. It has a lot of interesting tools that allow it to support the party without stepping on the toes of other support casters.

>Blood Hunter
This one is a fun one. Each of the archetypes have drawbacks that keep the class from getting too strong, and my players have noted that they feel like a very unique character when using it.

>Kensai
This one is a sort of weeaboo fightan magic class without being too obvious about it. In terms of gameplay, it feels like a monk with a heavier focus on actual weapons but it doesn't step on the toes of the monk much beyond also using Ki.

>Shogun
I really like this one. it is a d10 based class that is meant to act as a sort of buff class that supports the party in melee instead of from the backline like a caster. It has a lot of utility options to make it a very strong member of the party.
>>
>>54112170
>They can't cast spells so they essentially gimped themselves if they shapeshift.
They can cast a concentration buff, AoE or debuff and then just use their form for more damage then cantrips.

I do agree Land Druid's really good though and often underated.
>>
>>54112098
>can know any spell.
That's the thing, lore bard does NOT know every spell, he knows two spells outside his list, and can't change them. It's a great feature, I agree, but you are overrating it

And wizards have arcane recovery, so they effectively cast more spells each day
>>
>>54112170
>Can't cast spells
Why would you want to cast spells every round, anyway? Wildshape attacks are probably better than cantrips, too.
You can cast a spell and then wildshape in the same turn. Cast moonbeam or something.
Or remember that druids have out of combat utility too and don't need to spend all their spell slots in combat.

>You don't need moon circle for this
More options to choose from means a greater variety of beastly utility. Some creatures have utility that you can't normally get, or, say, flail snails and anti-magic.

>Without spell recovery or extra spells like land, or "circle dice" like twilight and dreams
So, as many spell slots as a cleric or bard, then?
Circle of the land gives you, say, an extra casting of polymorph at mid levels every day. Which is nice, but honestly I'd rather have two HP buffers every short rest that doesn't even take an action to put up.
>>
I need ideas for a cleric /5eg/, be they class options or flavor
>>
Between wizards and lore bards out of combat, a lore bard is great at skills and a wizard is better at magical utility with rituals.
>>
>>54112283
Go with light domain
>>
>>54112283
Human Arcana Cleric who was trained as a Mage Hunter but realised his church wasn't serving the gods true desires. Pick up Warcaster and Mage Slayer feats just to try and ruin spellcaster's day in combat.

Play him as a passive-aggressive "That's a sin you know" whenever anyone does anything involving Nature or Arcane Magic.

He's hoping to one day wipe out the secret cult slowly taking over the church. They desire to try and make non-Divine magic completely illegal even though the god only preaches that it should be practised safely.
>>
>>54112087
That's exactly the issue: it's very fragile, and doesn't get any better until elemental form at 10th.

Healing is an option but it's an inefficient use of spell slots and, ultimately, doesn't mean shit if the baddies can take your bear form from full to zero in one go due to your anemic HP and AC.

>>54112128
It's not a big HP buffer, it's a middling HP buffer on a form that is very likely to have worse AC than your normal.

Onioning martials through polymorph is cool. 5e druid doing it is just gimping themselves.
>>
>>54112374
>Middling HP buffer
>Generally about the same HP as you have, and you get that HP buffer twice a short rest, so if you somehow use all of it you have three times your health
>With an attack easily better than your normal at-will druid damage - a polar bear for example does 1d8+5 and 2d6+5 and 2d6+5 with +7 to hit, as opposed to a cantrip doing, what, 2d8?
>With only at most -4 AC for hide armour + shield
>You could get a higher AC by multiclassing a level of monk or barbarian, could even use barbarian rage for more tanking.
>>
Well, ended up sending Verenestra to the shadowfell today in a combination of paniced snap decision making and jury rigging of a highly powerful magical artifact, so thats something that happened, and we're only level 3 to boot.

Whats some stuff that's happened lately thats had you and your party mates reeling /tg/?
>>
>>54112464

I have a player at level 7 right now who's a barb1/druidX. He's capable, but a bit starved for bonus actions. He can rage as a bonus and wild shape as an action, but that risks losing the rage if he's not attacked.

Other than that, though, he's effective. Tanks decently, does good damage. The problem re: AC is that animals already get their Dex to AC, so you're essentially just comparing their Con bonus to their natural armor bonus, which is, at best, +1 or 2 AC. Monk would be a bigger boost, but the resistance to damage is invaluable, plus +2 damage per hit.
>>
>>54112464
If you take monk or barbarian it's fine. Fixes up the survivability issue a little (or a lot in the case of barbarian) and Extra Attack shores up beasts without multiattack. Like the Crag Cat. Fuck that thing is amazing.

But if you don't it's a p. awful archetype.
>>
Rating casters from best to worst:

Wizard
Lore Bard
Cleric
Druid
Sorcerer
Warlock
>>
>>54112699
Can you please tell me what exactly makes Wizard better then the other options? Keeping in mind Cleric and Druid can both change spells to what rituals they'll need in the location they're in?
>>
>>54112699
Warlock is better than sorcerer. Warlock has a more general purpose than 'twin haste' - pushing enemies around, and some other utilities. They can pick up an even better version of wizard's ritual utility or an even better find familiar.

Wizard and lore bard's positions are DM dependent. Really hard to tell.

I'd probably say a smart druid could outdo a cleric but in general I guess cleric's at the right point.
>>
>>54112735
>Warlock is better than sorcerer
I actually agree with you, but most people here would disagree I think
>>
>>54112735
>Warlock is better than sorcerer.
All Warlock can do is get slightly higher at-will damage and cast Disguise Self at-will. that's all they have going for them.

There's a lot more then twinned Haste for Sorcerers to do as well. Granted all of them are things like twin Polymorph, twin Enlarge and so forth.

Sorcerer's only issue is spells known as well, making a multiclass into another caster solve most of their problems. A single level of Cleric with 14 WIS gives you 5 more spells and you can change 3 of them to low level utility as needed.
>>
File: Found.jpg (246KB, 1280x1778px) Image search: [Google]
Found.jpg
246KB, 1280x1778px
>>54109815
But there are so many chosen ones...
>>
>>54112802
Sorcerer's problem is they don't have anything unique to them other than that twinning thing.

They're slightly better at something other classes can already do, and those other classes can then also do other things.

Warlock at least has the ability to pushback several times in one turn while also doing damage, rituals beyond even what a wizard can get, invisible familiars, seeing through magical darkness...
There's a limit to it and honestly it's not the grandest thing ever and, if you removed all other classes, I'd probably say sorcerer is better. But sorcerer's role is just done better elsewhere, whereas warlock at least has a tiny bit of dignity.
>>
File: Oppai Cleric.jpg (246KB, 1280x1795px) Image search: [Google]
Oppai Cleric.jpg
246KB, 1280x1795px
>>54109815
>>54112825
>tfw no Oppai Loli Cleric that bullies you into becoming the hero the world needs.

Feels bad man
>>
>>54111934
A Blood Hunter/ Pugilist sounds pretty cool. Wonder what type of stuff you could pull off with it,
>>
>>54111944
God's work, anon.
>>
>>54111944
May Asmooteus protect you, anon.
>>
>>54112847
Depends.

IF your DM makes Tides of Chaos trigger frequently then you have a very unique ability constantly that greatly effects things on Wild Sorcerer.

Dragon Sorcerer and Storm Sorcerer are just a bundle of generic abilities so I'll give you that.

Shadow Sorcerer is really good with unique stuff going on, best designed one in my opinion.

Favored Soul has the potential to be good, unlike Theurge they get to take any Cleric spell right from level 1.

Phynix and Sea are both cool ideas but kinda lame.

Stone fills the role of a high burst Arcane gish. Their consistent damage isn't the best but they can twin/quicken the weapon spells for frighteningly high burst.

If there was more well designed archetypes and Sorcerer spells Wizard doesn't get, then there would be no issue with it. Warlock on the other hand is weak from the base class, which is a much bigger issue.
>>
>>54110200
Revised Ranger, Hunter, with the Haunted One background. Undead favored enemy.
>>
>>54112230

Agreed. You get access to a great option as soon as level 3 with Flaming Sphere. Just slap that guy down and then bash people with it for extra fire damage every turn. Moonbeam is better for damage, but it occurs at the start of the enemy's turn so they could die beforehand or move somehow as a reaction and nothing happens.
>>
>>54110200
Monster Slayer Revised Ranger, Monster Hunter Fighter, I'm sure some type of Warlock can do what your player wants if UA is out of the question.
>>
How would you reccomend I run a campaign more in the vein of wuxia, heavily inspired by the world of Exalted.

I'm thinking for available races I have Humans, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Genasi, Tieflings, and Aasimar. Half-Elves are not really connected specifically to elves, but more a general spirit marked person. Half-Orcs are similar except the spiritual influence is more malevolent. Genasi are heavily inspired by the Dragonblooded Exalted. Aasimar are similar to Sidereals, and Tieflings are born affected by demons who are outside of fate.

Cosmologically, thinks like the Feywild and Shadowfell are like spirit worlds and shadowlands respectively. There is a large and corrupt Celestial Bureaucracy in the city of Heaven that can actually be travelled to through it's Thousandfold Gates, each with it's own celestial guardian.

Anything else I should consider?
>>
Is Cloudkill a good spell? The fact they can just move out even if they fail their save seems kinda lame.
>>
File: Blackrazor.jpg (16KB, 415x640px) Image search: [Google]
Blackrazor.jpg
16KB, 415x640px
So a Hexblade Bladelock cannot make Blackrazor a Pact Weapon correct?
>>
>>54112230
Not him, but Flail Snails aren't beasts, they're elementals.
>>
>>54111944
Ok, gave a quick read.
Basically, at 1st, 3rd, and every three levels after, you gain a talent, which is nothing more than some 3.5e-esque feats, like giving +1 to saves/DC, some with the most arbitrary prerequisites you could ask for.

3.5/10 wouldn't recommend.
>>
>>54113085
Not that I can think of, but keep your train of thought going. You've already got good material.
>>
>>54113209
Why not?
>>
Monster hunter or battlemaster if i'm multiclassing into a conquest paladin after level three? It's for IC reasons don't kill me.
>>
>>54113192
Wall of Force, Hold Monster and Dominate Person are all superior combat options at that level.
>>
>>54110860
Bards have cure wounds on their list...

But why the fuck would you take it over healing word?
>>
How annoying would it be to make this the way that a class learn their spells?
You make a ritual to summon a beast or humanoid spirit to inscribe in your spellbook, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. Immediately after the spirit is summoned roll a d20

01-02 The spirit burn your spellbook
03-04 The spirit leave and you gain a point of exhaustion
05-06 The spirit know 5 random spell, roll in the spell table
07-08 The spirit know 3 1st-level and 2 random spell, roll in the spell table
09-10 The spirit know 5 1st-level spells of your choose
11-12 The spirit know 3 2st-level and 2 random spell, roll in the spell table
13-14 The spirit know 5 2st-level spells of your choose
15-16 The spirit know 3 3st-level and 2 random spell, roll in the spell table
17-18 The spirit know 5 3st-level
19-20 The spirit know 3 4st-level and 2 random spell, roll in the spell table

You can copy up to 3 spells that the spirit know, each takes 1 hours to copy.
>>
>>54113447
I'm an Underdark Druid so my other options are Wall of Stone, Maelstrom and Transmute Rock for combat at that level.

Maelstrom seems amazing and I'll likely always prepare it, but I just don't want to waste the free prepared Cloudkill.
>>
>>54113480
>1 in 10 chance of losing all your spells

Extremely annoying.
>>
>>54113496
What would be better then, the spirit become hostile or gain extra exhaustion?
>>
>>54113545
How about not making it random?

Like, at all.
>>
>>54113570
Where is the fun in that?
>>
>>54113593
>>54113545
>>54113480
Your class power being determined by random rolls is never a good idea.

I mean fuck, at least Wild Sorcerer can still function with shit rolls. If you get random spells though, then you can't really be expected to do much.
>>
>>54113441
Or just, in general, is battlemaster or monster hunter better for a fighter at level 3.
>>
>>54113669
Monster Hunter is just a bastardization of Battle Master.

>>54113593
If it's fun for you, feel free to suggest your DM make you roll at random to see what spells you get to learn.

Don't inflict it on other people.
>>
>>54113669
Monster Hunter is basically a Battlemaster who gets something to do outside of combat. So I'd go Monster Hunter.

Sure you only really get +Attack and +Damage as your in combat maneuvers, but at least you get advantages against certain enemies and spellcasters. Save boost one is useful when it comes up. The Interrogation maneuver gives you a moment to shine out of combat.

The skills and language are a nice touch, makes you pretty close to a good skill monkey.

Plus you can always pick up Martial Adept for 2 more maneuvers as long as your not feat heavy.

Honestly I'd never go Battlemaster over Monster Hunter, way more boring.
>>
About to ask my DM if he'll let me cast Shillelagh on my Scimitar as a Druid, does that seem alright to ask?

I just want to use one because I loved old Druids and their Scimitar using plus I enjoy filling the stereotype of a Drow wielding a Scimitar
>>
File: IMG_7607.jpg (817KB, 2496x1739px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7607.jpg
817KB, 2496x1739px
How do y'all like my minifig for Stool? Everyone's favorite NPC babelfish prison buddy from OotA. I use Legos for marching orders and one of my players is doing an Oh Brother Where Art Thou escape from the underdark after being abducted
>>
>>54113209

Correct by RAW. Sentient Weapons cannot be Pact Weapons and nothing in the Hexblade UA counters this.

That is not, however, to say that Blackrazor can't still be your *patron.*
>>
>>54113822
I believe slashing damage is worse than bludgeoning on the few cases of fighting skeletons, the only creatures I remember that have vulnerability to bludgeoning only. So I guess your DM should allow it, only case it might be "stronger" is cutting nets and webs.
>>
File: yuan ti abomination sexy.jpg (147KB, 820x580px) Image search: [Google]
yuan ti abomination sexy.jpg
147KB, 820x580px
Do female yuan-ti abominations still look like this, or have they been PC-ified?
>>
>>54112111
On it boss man.
>>
File: dorf god.jpg (153KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dorf god.jpg
153KB, 1000x1000px
>tfw playing a barbarian in a game where the DM refuses to do any real combat

It's seriously the most frustrating thing.

>inb4 talk to your DM

Already done. Did that a few weeks ago, actually. My concerns have been "noted" but nothing has changed.

I might as well be playing one of those shitty Telltale games where none of your choices actually matter and you just shuffle along pre-set scenes choosing between dialogue options that don't change anything. Except in Telltale games, you at least get the option to punch someone every now and then.

I don't even get that.

I've told him that we might as well be playing CoC, if we're going to continue to have no combat. This is fucking 5e, the entire game is based around fighting.

What sucks is that complaining about this makes me feel like a munchkin, but I really do love the
Story/RP aspect of the game. I just don't like sacrificing combat completely for RP. I've told my DM that I'm playing a BARBARIAN and that having no out-of-combat utility fucking sucks for 99% of the situations he puts us into. The only responses I get is that he likes my character but that's really only because I'm the only person at the table who isn't a quiet bitch and willing to open my mouth and talk in-character using a voice that isn't mine.
>>
>>54114206
Sexy bad guys are misogynist and gross you fucking cispig
>>
>>54114206
there are only male yuan-ti abominations
>>
>>54114683
If you aren't happy with the game and the DM is willing to listen to you it's time to leave and find a new group. Or you could just start attacking people and derail his shitty little cut scene theme park
>>
>>54114683
Search out dueling arenas. Become champion!
Punch that city guard in the face, you know you want to.
Hit on obviously married women.
Wander away from the party from time to time and tame the wilds yourself!
>>
>>54114683
Play another class
>>
>>54114749
*And the gm ISN'T willing
>>
>>54114683
Start a fight. Next time someone bad mouths you in character punch the fucker in the face. If he tries to have someone drag you off then pull out your weapon and roll initiative.

Might piss him off but really, it's the best option.
>>
Is there any merit to playable kobolds or are they just there for completions sake?

Being the only race with a stat penalty, no equivalent increase in stats or other capabilities.
>>
>>54114683
Multiclass into something else.
>>
>>54114723
Wat? Only male abominations?
>>54114817
It gives you an in-character reason to be a psychopathic guerilla fighter
>>
What's the redeeming quality of mastermind rogue?
>>
>>54114817
Orcs also have a penalty.

Kobold does a lot better then you think as long as Sunlight doesn't come up too much, then again all Sunlight Sensitive races are worthless if it comes up too much.

They make really good Rogues, Rangers (Beastmaster especially) and Warlocks with a familiar. I'd probably go for a Wolf Beastmaster melee build, so you and your pet will both nearly always have Advantage.

Another thing to note is some Chainlock options actually have a carry weight that theoretically lets them carry an unarmoured Kobold. Check with your DM about that one though.

>>54114863
Historian Feat.
>>
>>54114875
oh I haven't seen that feat! thanks!
>>
File: 1468113106566.jpg (200KB, 792x815px) Image search: [Google]
1468113106566.jpg
200KB, 792x815px
>>54111615
>>
>>54110523
That's interesting. Can you share the program's setup for this kind of grid, please? Been thinking about applying my developing 3D interest to tabletop.
>>
Anyone else ever decide they want to try a new character and try to kill their old one off? I'm playing a Wizard... but decided I really like Druids.

Should I just say something to the DM? She's said she's fine with people changing their characters but I feel like it's easier to just get killed.

I just don't wanna seem like an asshole.
>>
Is there a way to attribute CR to a player character?
>>
What are the most relevant skills/languages in general?
Going for a helf skill monkey knowledge cleric
We have a whisper bard to cover a lot of the social shit and light fingered shit.
>>
>>54109006
>Teleport is a level 7 spell, so level 13 much like 1e
5e teleport has error, but they count 4e's linked portal which is Teleportation Circle, I think. So level 9 for that.
>>
>>54112954
My personal fix to Sorcerers is that I give them a free spell at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, to go along with them unlocking 1st - 5th level spells.

The spells learned are related to their Sorcerous Origin. So far I've only had to do it to one Sorcerer, who went Phoenix Sorcerer (and is aiming to go mostly pure pyromancer).

> 1st level spell
Burning Hands or Expeditious Retreat

> 2nd level spell
Scorching Ray or Levitate

> 3rd level spell
Fireball or Fly

> 4th level spell
Wall of Fire or Death Ward

> 5th level spell
Flame Strike or Raise Dead

For the other ones, I'd try to tie it into an elemental damage related to their Origin along with some utility spell. So for Favored Soul they get stuff like healing magic or radiant damage spells. Shadow Sorcerer gets necrotic damage and debuffs like Hex, Blindness/Deafness, etc.
>>
>>54114967
Talk to the GM about arranging a out that works with the plot, maybe retire him to be NPC.
>>
File: 1494517695500.png (2MB, 1500x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1494517695500.png
2MB, 1500x1600px
>>54114206
>yuan
Snaketits are still canon as far as I know.
>>
File: The Dark Spaghetti.png (509KB, 1644x904px) Image search: [Google]
The Dark Spaghetti.png
509KB, 1644x904px
>>54111615
>>
>>54114993
Alright. I messaged her and tried to be nice about it. Asked if next time we get back to town my guy could stay behind with a Paladin bro of his and say goodbye to the party.
>>
>>54114986
I don't like adding spell variety to Sorcerer, i'd rather increase their specialization. Broadening them just makes them better wizard copies, rather than giving them an identity.

Personally and i've posted this before
>Spell Point variant default for sorc
>combined spell/sorc point total
>gain points as indicated by variant+sorc feature
>learn spells as indicated through level 5 spells, gain new spells on level up, but never past 5th
>choose one 6,7,8,9 spell at the appropriate level, cast each once per day for free, no point cost
>upcasting limited to level indicated on feature as normal, but no limit on upcasting slots per day as normally indicated by spell point variant

This lets sorcerers spam their low level spells at near cantrip frequency, or unload all their points upcasting spells. It gives them powerful high level spells, but makes them specialize, it may not be worth taking raw damage spells when you can routinely cast fireball at 9th level.
>>
>>54115054
That's fine too, I just don't see how a person who literally has magic flowing through their veins knows fewer spells than the sexy dude who plows anything that could potentially exist.
>>
>>54114817
I play a Kobold ranger, and I have 5 strength, I love just how terrible I am at non dex based physicality. it leads to fun role-playing
>>
Fuck's sake, my party bailed on me, after pushing the session off all week "oh we'll play tomorrow, maybe tonight, eeeeeh, we'll do it next week."

This is the shit that kills interest in games. Not to mention that I haven't gotten my fix, and I spent HOURS putting that session together. Why does nobody CARE?
>>
>>54114975

Sort of. Page 274 of the DMG has a chart that lets you work back and forth between CR and expectd stats, with some helpful guidelines for how to evaluate high AC/low HP creatures or creatures with massive offensive bonuses but huge defensive penalties.

The suggested path is to work out the expected values for the PC and then average them out to find CR. But this is going to be a *bear* because PC abilities aren't designed for easy numerical analysis which means you're going to find yourself having to fudge a *lot* of numbers on things like "so how much DPR is casting twinned haste on a same-level Barb and Champion Fighter worth assuming the enemies they're facing are playing intelligently but not perfectly" and that's just a nightmare. But it's better than nothing and should get you in the neighborhood.
>>
>>54115216
Feel ya. It's fine anyways; people aren't really getting along very well.
>>
>>54115216
Could be
>Normies with their social lives
>No interest in your game
>Don't want to be seen as nerds
Or all three combined
>>
>>54114982
That question is a campaign specific bros. If you're going into underdark, knowing celestial or elven is useless. Ask your DM.
>>
Oi, what rules do i need to know for aquatic combat?

I'm running a one shot, and its going to come up, but i don't have the DMG.
I've got the pdf, but its less easy for me to just sit and browse a pdf in my downtime
>>
>>54115302
>underdark
>elven is useless
Drow speak elven dude.
>>
>>54115319
PHB Page 198:

When making a melee weapon attack, a creature that doesn't have a swimming speed (either natural or granted by magic) has disadvantage on the attack roll unless the weapon is a dagger. javelin, shortsword.spear, or trident.

A ranged weapon attack automatically misses
a target beyond the weapon's normal range. Even against a target within normal range, the attack roll has disadvantage unless the weapon is a crossbow, a net, or a weapon that is thrown like a javelin (including a spear, trident, or dart).
Creatures and objects that are fully immersed in
water have resistance to fire damage.
>>
>>54110407
Utility.

A Warlock will completely stomp a wizard when it comes to pure utility. They are better ritual casters with the Tome (which is why that is considered the best choice) and have several of the great utility spells available as at-will powers.

The party I am in, we have a wizard and a Warlock, and despite the wizard trying to mock the Warlock, he is always lacking far behind in terms of damage in combat, and utility out of combat. Even in-combat utility is arguable, depending on the length of the fights.

But out of combat, where hr can pretty much short rest whenever he wants? And cast alter self at will?

He is absolutely impossible to outdo. He is still sad about not picking up Rogue before going full Warlock, as that 1 level would have made him the ultimate utility character.

The few times the wizard tried to be on par, he blew the majority of his spell slots, still failed his persuasion checks (because no proficiency or charisma), and then the GM threw a difficult combat encounter at us.

Wizards are only strictly better in silly white room scenarios where you know the premise and how to get around the obstacles. In practice, a Warlock will be better every time.

A wizard is still the better all-around caster (but then, if that is what you want, why aren't you picking Lore Bard?), and warlocks will quickly become quite dull if you are in a combat heavy campaign.
>>
>Spellpapyrus
Jesus christ, that sound so bad, does anyone have a better name for what is basically an infinite sheet in a cylinder? I don't want to use spellscroll because those are already in the base game.
>>
>>54110060
Even after being stabilized, that owlbear's multiattack would probably have killed you. If that's any consolation.
>>
>>54115489
Does it need to have the word "spell" in the name?

Why don't you go with Endless Scroll or something?
>>
What's a good "ideal" for a classic kind of Druid? My DM's asked will fill these things in but I'm having trouble thinking of exactly what his "ideal" is.
>>
>>54115515
Would an owlbear attack an unconscious creature while running away?
>>
You guys, am I correct in assuming that the first benefit of Great Weapon Master (the bonus attack on a crit or a kill) applies to any melee weapon, not just heavy weapons? It only specifies the 'heavy' property in the second benefit, after all.
>>
>>54115537
Yep.
>>
>>54115525
Yes, is a scroll that you can inscribe 3 spells, you can use one of the charge to cast one of the spells and is going to restore all the charges at the end of a long rest.
>>
>>54115567
Three spells on the same scroll? What about palimpsest?
>>
>>54115581
Ehh, still don't sound good but it would do.
>>
>>54114683
Leave the group. Murder everyone on your way out.
>>
>>54114206
Only purebloods have been PC-fied.
>>
>>54115633
>I bump into the wizard
>thinking he did it on purpose, I go into a rage abthit him with my axe
>I rolled a 19. 12 damage.
>>
>>54112847
This. When someone's a warlock, you can tell. When someone's a sorcerer, you just know they're not a wizard.
>>54113449
Only if you'd rather use your bonus actions on something else already. Spiritual weapon, for an example.
>>
I'm going to run CoS for a group of newbies, but I feel like Death House might be a bit too much for them to handle. I'm also not a huge fan of it. Should I run a "pre"-Barovia introduction or would they be fine dropped into the thick of things at first level?
>>
File: Capture.png (32KB, 899x631px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
32KB, 899x631px
hey /tg/- Plumbing and Hardware, would this work?

Setting up a fancy manor (Running water exists in setting, though only in fancy homes and businesses due to the expense of magic pumps), some of my fellow PCs claim this system wouldn't work but I argue that since our water tank is fuckhuge it should have more than adequate water pressure.
>>
>>54115765
Why not just put the tank on the roof? That's what they actually do do in some apartment buildings
>>
File: 1454943431790.png (131KB, 244x404px) Image search: [Google]
1454943431790.png
131KB, 244x404px
First time player here, my group just had our character creation session the other day. It went great and I feel like we've got a good balance of people in the group (3 new people and 2 experienced players and a very experienced GM).

I just have a couple questions about the character that I ended up making. I was interested in playing a Ranger because I thought they had a lot of interaction with animals and when the GM described the starting city as being a dingy victorian-styled city I thought I would make a Ranger that grew up in the city, and so the city was like his personal forest, right?

One of the experienced guys in the group said he loved the idea and encouraged me to do it, but expressed concern over my character's powerlevel, saying that I should consider swapping some of my utility spells and level 1 feat for something more combat focused. I mostly chose my spells and stuff for flavour rather than effectiveness, and I don't want to compromise *too much* of my idea for the character, but this guy doesn't strike me as a minmaxer and just seemed like he was concerned about my character being overshadowed by the other players.
Is this something I should be worried about, or should I put my trust in the GM to work around my character choices?

I also asked this guy about my decision to play a Ranger exclusively as a melee character. He said it shouldn't pose a problem, and thought it might actually be good since no one in the party is playing a combat class like fighter. I trust his judgment but if anyone has a second opinion on that i'd appreciate any input.

Secondly, what are some things that I should be aware of as a first-time player, in order to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for everyone involved? Does anyone have any pieces of general wisdom they could pass on?

Finally, am I overthinking all of this?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.
>>
>>54115789
It's very near the roof, on the top floor of the manor in a utility room. (Supposedly not on the roof because of harsh regional weather but really I suspect the DM just didn't feel like putting it on a separate map layer) All the other sinks and such aren't an issue except for one on that same floor, but naturally that's enough for some nitpicking shitloafs to think my design wouldn't work.
>>
>>54115798
>other player express doubts about how you build your PC
>doesn't put any information about how you build your PC
Nigga
>>
>>54115798
Play Revised Ranger instead of PHB ranger.

Just compare them and you'll see why.

https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Ranger,
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Ranger%20(Revised),
>>
>>54115798
Chill. You're with other scrubs, it takes time to get the group dynamic down whether you know the game or not. Trust your GM to give you time to shine, and if things are that bad, have a chat with them and see what you can both change up.

You sound like you're going to be fine, you're open to talking with others and taking in ideas and suggestions.

Also take goodberry if you haven't already! I was a first time player who made a Ranger and ended up bailing us out of shitty situations with an animal delivered goodberry.
>>
File: 1476861091446.jpg (32KB, 343x424px) Image search: [Google]
1476861091446.jpg
32KB, 343x424px
>>54115843
Oh, sorry.
>Human so free feat
>Starting at lv.2 so 1st level spells
I wanted to go Linguist (I think is what it's called) for my first feat for tons of languages and ability to write ciphers, changed it to Sentinel after I told the guy I wanted to be melee so I could help keep enemies away from the rest of the party.

I also wanted my two spells to be Hunters Mark and Speak with Animals, my idea was a guy that tracks people down through the city by getting information from rats and cats and shit. I've been advised to swap speak with animals for Goodberry since the party doesn't have a dedicated healer, which is probably a good idea honestly.

>>54115847
I think the GM wants to stick with PHB stuff just for the sake of keeping things easier for everyone to understand and having less mechanics to keep track of, which i'm totally on board with. I'll definitely give that revised ranger a go at some point though, cheers.

>>54115861
>Chill
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I guess i'm just getting overexcited, i've been interested in trying out D&D for a while so I worry a little that I might come across as overeager if nothing else.

Goodberry seems really great! My only concern is that considering the setting and my character (never left the city) it wouldn't make much sense for my character to have berries readily available all the time, although frankly I think I might be the only person who cares about minutiae like that. I think i'll just take it.

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>54115421

Rogue 1/Warlock X here, and I find absolutely nothing dull about it.
>>
>>54115535

A resounding, thundering "maybe." Two situations I could think of would be if the easiest path of retreat went over top of the unconscious person or if it had originally attacked out of hunger and thought it could steal the body I might put some damage on getting bitten and then drug by it as it tried to flee with it's "prey."

As far as taking even a mechanically free attack out of spite after it had already decided to bolt? I wouldn't but some would.
>>
>>54115581

I vote palimpsest. Also, stolen.
>>
>>54114817
>Being the only race with a stat penalty, no equivalent increase in stats or other capabilities.
Certainly advantage on attack rolls nearly all the time is not worth mentioning.
>>
>>54115735

Maybe split the difference and run Death House as an Inception-like waking nightmare filled with dream logic? You're still getting the content across and running Barovia 101 while avoiding some of the balancing issues.
>>
>>54115421
My experiences with wizards and warlocks contradict this. The limited spell slots really hurts, and if they take utility invocations they gimp their combat power. It really depends on how many short rests your DM gives you.
>>
>>54115967
Narratively, your character could have had dealt with starvation, or met someone who was, so he creates berries so that will never happen again.
>>
>roll below my passive wisdom (perception)
>"lol your blind xD"
why DMs do this
>>
Do you let your players feed downed characters healing potions, goodberries, etc?
>>
>>54115765

It's not 100% clear from your diagram but my guess is that it wouldn't work reliably unless the pump is generating constant pressure into the tank. Mere gravity will only bring the water level in the pipe up to the water level of the tank regardless of the size or shape of the tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicating_vessels

If the pump pulled in both water and air, though, you could create a pressurized chamber a la Super Soaker that could provide the pressure needed to fight gravity. Less reliable but also possible is if you could actually lock all air backflow out of the pipe you could set it up as a siphon, which would also work as long as the pipe remained filled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon

Being that this is 5e, though, you could literally go with "a wizard did it." It would be trivial to create an Uncommon magical device that solely exists to allow builders/architects to "fudge" water levels so they can place reservoirs in more convenient areas.
>>
>>54116095
Is there a valid reason not to?
>>
File: 1498833626492.png (162KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498833626492.png
162KB, 480x360px
Ok so I'm retarded and I want to make a fighter that's alright at any weapon
What feat(s) do I pick at first level and so on
>>
File: Capture.png (46KB, 454x377px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
46KB, 454x377px
"Our Guy" Jimmy NinjaPants is attempting to make a running jump over an acid and spike filled pool of turbo-AIDS mega-quippers (Acid immune). Despite doing his best Naruto run, he only has a 15 ft long jump.

Does his long jump place him PAST 15 ft, or ON 15 ft?
>>
>>54116127
Whatever is best for the story.
>>
>>54115798

Work with your DM to make sure that you're set up well enough to not be a liability, but you don't have to be fully optimized for damage-per-round, in fact it's probably better if you're not; a lot of what makes a Ranger useful isn't their raw damage to begin with.

As a first time player, avoid playing the Beast Master Ranger in the PHB, although the revised version from Unearthed Arcana is fine. The one from the player's handbook is designed to use a bunch of weird rules to make a really complicated build that's more concerned with controlling the battlefield than damage that probably isn't going to appeal to you at all or be something your group can really capitalize on.

Melee ranger isn't bad but it is a lot squishier than some of the other melee classes, especially with you being the only frontliner. You'll probably need to focus more on defenses than other Rangers need to. This is definitely something to talk to the DM about.

For the most part, though, it sounds pretty solid. Glad you're having fun and welcome to the hobby.
>>
>>54116123
Have you ever tried swallowing something without using your "swallowing muscles?" It just doesn't go down.
>>
>>54116123
>choking on healing potions
>not chewing them goodberries properly
>>
>>54116139
fuck that nigga if I'm about to make a jump over certain death I want to know what the rules for jumping are first.

5e jump rules feel like a shitty afterthought.
>>
Literally why does it take a fucking action to eat a goodberry? Why can't I just stuff a bunch in my mouth?
>>
>>54116126
5e S U C K S at martial versatility. There's very little stuff you can pick that benefits the whole pack, instead of specializing.

But yeah, you can go for Lucky, Sentinel, Mobile. Maybe a racial feat.
>>
>>54116182
Ask you GM then Nigga, he is the final word on all rules.

If that's too much human interaction then stick to video games.
>>
>>54116183
Because it takes 6 seconds to chew the disgusting chalk-and-bitter-dirt flavor berry into something that can actually be swallowed.

Also because it's fucking magic.
>>
>>54116182
>5e jump rules feel like a shitty afterthought
>feel like

No, they are, for a kinda good reason. It just doesn't come up that often, at least in my experience. I can think of one instance in the last three years.
>>
>>54116127
On. Same logic as movement.

RIP, Jimmy.
>>
>>54116095

Yes, Crawford has confirmed that the rule "Drinking a potion or administering a potion to another character requires an action" (DMG 139) is intended to include the case where the other character is unconscious.
>>
>>54116127

By convention you count each "shift" of 1 block as 5-10-15 which means he gets the Blue Arrow of Death. Sorry, Jimmy, looks like Weeb no Jutsu isn't going to bail you out of this one.
>>
File: 143865.png (260KB, 530x370px) Image search: [Google]
143865.png
260KB, 530x370px
>>54116202
They need "You can add your Proficiency Bonus to Jumps if you are Proficient in Acrobatics or Athletics, or twice as much if you have Expertise", and give Monk free Expertise in both, but that's a different argument.

Now sneaky Rogues can properly ninja about and high level Fighters can do MIGHTY LEAPS, while Wizards need to use magic to fly or jump good.
>>
>>54116183
* can't cast spells with a verbal component while chewing
* can't run or use a weapon because you'll choke and die
>>
>>54116182

I find it very convenient to have most forms of mobility be certain and pre-calculated. It saves dice-rolling times for when people are actually going to care about it.
>>
>>54116237
This doesn't make logical sense to me. He's not jumping from the middle of the starting square, he would go right to the edge to get the most distance, which should land him barely over the pit.
>>
>>54116183

Game balance. All healing items take *somebody's* action.
>>
>>54116127
I'd probably make it so he could make it, but had to do a sick ninja roll upon landing that makes him prone.

RAW I believe that you'd fall to death, most DM's will probably say you can make it. You'd have to ask him.
>>
Would a werespider just switch between a humanoid and a giant spider? or would you recommend creating a brand new stat block?
>>
>>54116289
Becoming a phase spider instead of a regular giant spider could be cool
>>
>>54116289
That would be fine, but don't weres also have a half beast form? You'd have to make that.
>>
>>54116305
That indeed would be pretty cool.

>>54116310
Shit, that is true. Now that you mention that, a half beast form that is a spider is pretty terrifying.
>>
>>54116263

All 5' systems are at heart abstractions meant to average out over time. Going further than 3 squares means going further than 15 feet.

As illustrated, he's still going to fall if he's going to jump exactly 15 feet and the pit is exactly 15 feet since his last foot fall will be on solid ground and thus his jump won't actually be edge-to-edge.

That said, all that implies the Perfect Abstracted Long Jump(tm.) Unless the pit is literally designed as a check against PCs with STR<15 most DMs, me included, would call it passable with any circumstance in favor of the player at all.

Honestly, it'd probably never see my table to begin with. For all the things 5e accomplishes reasonably well platforming is certainly not one of them and barring it being part of some well-constructed skill challenge with multiple paths to victory I'd just toss it entirely.
>>
>>54116310
>>54116313
>half spider form

Just make Spiderman, but scarier.
>>
>>54112048
Are you trolling? Moon Druid is obnoxiously annoying to play with

>Huge HP buffer that recovers on a short rest
>Concentrate on Conjured Animals and Woodland Beings while wild shaped
>Conjuring pixies gives you use to a dozen 4th level spell slots for the use of one
>>
>>54112098
>Countercharm
>Blowing your action every round in exchange for advantage on a saving throw

Now I know you are trolling.
>>
>>54116127
15' long jump means you clear 15'.
>>
>>54112215
You mean, One spell. Lore Bard is forcefully pigeon holed into having to blow one of his secrets on Counterspell
>>
>>54116543
Unless you have another caster with the spell of course, Lore Bards best ability is being able to pick up the best spells the party doesn't have.

If you got a Wizard or Sorcerer then the Bard should be taking Cleric and Druid spells that cover the missing gaps in other characters arsenal. If you don't have one then they probably will take Counterspell yes.
>>
>>54116553
Lore bards are the best counterspellers though.
>>
>>54113074
I think I'm this close to talking her into a PalaLock
>>
>>54116566
I'd argue chink mystic is up there too thanks to pure volume of casts
>>
Anybody have a creature idea for a boss fight for 6 level 5's?

Specifically something that can cast spells. I'm having a bit of creative block right now.
>>
>>54110971
How do you get 4 skeles with one level 3 slot?
>>
>>54116616
You only get one chance to counter a spell, so it makes sense to care about who has the highest roll.
>>
>>54116094

You ever be actively searching for something and can't find it and then it turns out it was right there on the table?
>>
>>54116682
I mean in the hypothetical situation where you fight a hundred casters over a day and need all the Counterspells you can get
>>
>>54116553
>Unless you have another caster with the spell of course

No. Even if someone else takes counterspell, you still have to take counterspell, because yours is more powerful and you might just have to counterspell someone counterspelling your ally's counterspell
>>
>>54116543
And it's not like the second Magical Secret is that wide of an option.
If you're going for damage you get Fireball, if you're going for healing you get Aura of Vitality or Revivify, if you're going for Support you get Haste, if you're feeling wonky you get Conjure Animals.
>>
Im house-sitting for a family friend and his dad said I could look through and use some of his old DnD books. Some of this stuff seems really cool (e.g. an original 3rd printing of 1E's handbook, original AD&D books, etc.) I'm new to tabletop games in general though, is this guy sitting on a gold mine?
>>
File: 20170701_225836.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_225836.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>54116848
Shit forgot the image
>>
I'm planning to run a campaign in which the main villains are the focus overall and combat will have fewer fodder encounters and more major fights with them.
That being said, I'm not sure how to run said encounters. I don't want to kill them off early since they are initially supposed to be stronger than the party but I also don't want to make the players feel like they are doing nothing if they keep losing to them/not being able of taking them down.
>>
File: 20170701_211845.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_211845.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>54116860
>>
>>54115765

Just make every faucet enchanted with Create Water, with no actual plumbing system to speak of. Drainage is just a straight pipe to the sewers.
>>
File: 20170701_211829.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_211829.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54116880
>>
File: 20170701_205403.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_205403.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>54116915
>>
>>54116915
What a terrifying beholder.
>>
File: 20170701_210407.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_210407.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54116930
>>
>>54116879
Give them other goals to accomplish that can get interrupted by the villians so they can lose the fight/be forced to escape but still "win" by stealing the source of the villian's invincibility or something.
You could make the villian an overconfident type who doesn't care about killing weaklings, thinking the party members won't ever be a threat in their first few run ins.
>>
>>54116628

A coven of hags? If not MM, then Volo's has coven rules. Gives them extra spells.
>>
I really want to run a game with a setting, no shit, inspired by the old He-Man cartoon. Something based on fantastic sword and sorcery but also something with hovercrafts and techno-castles. A game where players are just as likely to fight dinosaurs and demons as they are robots.

What I'd really want, though, is a real Saturday morning cartoon pacing: short, exciting adventures about some evil fucker pulling some shit somewhere and the players venture forth to stop them. I wanna lean into something no rules, just right, like the equivalent of mashing action figures together.

Any advice on running a not-so-serious game of this type?
>>
Running LMoP for randoms, session 2 in 4 hours. They'll arrive at Phandalin with Sildar.
Any tips, folks?
>>
>>54116848
Probably not. My house has these things sitting around somewhere. Still had fun when I played it, but you probably should check ebay.
>>
>>54116997
Ebberon
>>
I'm playing a campaign that will apparently finish around level 15 with an Eldritch Knight and stealing someone's idea of bladesinger+mobile feat+haste I saw in one of these threads to dash up to 200 feet or walk up 50 feet, swing, then walk 50 feet away. The mental image just sounds fun doing monk things with a dragonborn wizard fighter.

Should I go 10 Fighter/5 Wizard or 8 Fighter/7 Wizard? The latter gives me a 4th level spell and more spell slots, but I can't think of any that I would terribly miss compared to indominable and Eldritch Strike. How should I progress this through earlygame?
>>
>>54117031
Why not just put all your levels in wizard?
>>
>>54116775
Aren't you supposed to take Wish?
>>
>>54117184
If I end up against enemies standing next to eachother or something, I'd only have one attack to use for Mobile, and Booming Blade+War Magic is the kind of flavor I want from this.

We already have a bard and a sorcerer anyway anyway, I'd rather be a mediocre gish than a shitty caster.
>>
>>54117269
>>54117269
>>54117269
>>54117269
>>54117269

New thread
>>
>>54108799

Last session my players started a hillarious religeous cult by using a variety of spells.

The Aasimar Sorcerrer party face uses Thraumaturgy to broadcast his voice as he talks shit.

The Variant Human Monk who grabed Ritual Caster Druid casts Skywrite to draw divine signs in the shape of dicks up in the skies.

The Warlock is casting illusions depicting a battle in the skies to fool the townsfolk etc.

And that's how the church of Dickbut got started in Barovia and my players managed to grab enough cash to cast the Forbidance spell for a month to make a permanently safe fort to operate from.
>>
>>54117213
Not at level 6 you're not
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.