[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 44

File: achaea_dwarf_by_cribs-d4orrt0.jpg (136KB, 900x1268px) Image search: [Google]
achaea_dwarf_by_cribs-d4orrt0.jpg
136KB, 900x1268px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54108799
>>
Running LMoP for randoms, session 2 in 4 hours. They'll arrive at Phandalin with Sildar.
Any tips, folks?
>>
Is the mystic fine? Everybody was losing their shit initially but now it seems like there are plenty of people playing it/allowing it.
>>
>>54117301

It is still OP.
>>
>>54117301
It can be broken, fine or shit. All depends on what you pick
>>
>>54117269
New UA tommorow?
Are they finally going to rework the other Monk Subclasses?
>>
>>54117499
>revised class options 2
>City Cleric, Ghost in the Machine Warlock & Technomancy wizard
>>
>>54117301
I've been playing one and I dont like it at all. It is too fucking cluttered, most of the skills are overlap. It's like they had 5 different people write all the different abilities and threw them together without comparing notes. If they trim it down by a good amount, it will be a fine class.
>>
Can skellingtons use martial weapons and armor? Or is there no RAW and its up to the DM?
>>
>>54117664
If they could when they were alive
>>
>>54117664
IIRC, there no hard and fast rule about monsters being proficient with anything. It just says that they're proficient with whatever they're listed as having.

Thus, if the DM wants to give them martial weapons, they're proficient in them.
>>
>>54117232
Having full wizard spell progression is hardly 'shitty caster' unless you purposefully waste your spells.

If you wanted to disengage two opponents at once, use extra attack instead. You could make three attacks that way.
Otherwise, GFB/BB does almost as much damage as GFB/BB+bonus attack. I guess, considering you would probably be using a rapier.

But, eh, I suppose both work, it just feels like a lot of empty levels in fighter, though I suppose it's action surge, a bit of extra HP, +1 AC, + a feat and war magic. Though I'd still take fullcasting utility over that.
>>
I am going to one of those DnD Shieldmeet things next weekend. What am I getting into? I just assume it is a hall filled with tables and shit.
>>
>>54117664
Even if they're not proficient, they could still use them at a lower hit chance, in theory.
>>
>>54117280

Make Halia Thornton a threat to rival the Black Spider or have them work together in secrecy.
>>
File: 1487543352721.jpg (5KB, 185x157px) Image search: [Google]
1487543352721.jpg
5KB, 185x157px
>I think I fucked up with a couple of things

the town my players are in is your typical small town starting village before everything goes wrong. everybody knows each other and looks out for each other, that sort of deal.
they woke from a bandit attack in the tavern, level 1 and are now exploring the town and getting used to small town life this is how the campaign began

>first fuck up i think i did
the bandits took all their money leaving them with nothing but their weapons armour and trinkets, to comp them however i let them pick some magical weapons and armour
(literally a wooden box i made and painted with over 120 different and unique magical weapons/armour/items as "loot" they can take form it.)
should i have taken their money? i wanted them to start at the bottom but i feel that was being too unfair
i decided that the bandits had their "original starting money" locked away and whenever they defeated them that was their reward
is that a good way of doing it or am i taking my first steps on becoming THAT DM?

>second potential fuck-up
one of my players, a tabaixi Monk rolled a stealth check to listen in on what two people where saying at a table, he passed with a nat20 so i made it that he managed to learn an important clue that could help them out later, the problem was that he then went up to the tavern owner, a kind hearted middleage man and asked what those two people where talking about, and because it's the whole "small town thing where everyone knows each-other" the tavern owner got a tad bit hostile and said (in my very bad Scottish accent) to "Not be listening in on people's conversations please!"
i feel that i had just ruined the trope of "tavern owner who knows what everyone's problems are" and just shut my player out of doing that kind of stuff in future when it was actually really inspired.
how can i fix this?
>>
File: jason5_s_by_atroposdios-db21rd3.jpg (178KB, 729x1095px) Image search: [Google]
jason5_s_by_atroposdios-db21rd3.jpg
178KB, 729x1095px
So what class is the coolest necromancer?
>necromancer wizard for controlling a skellyman army
>undying warlock for transforming into a skellyman mage
>death cleric for increasing the power of necromancy blasty spells
>oathbreaker paladin for leading an army of skelemen into battle
>>
>>54118173
It sounds like you did just fine. You gave them a clear goal to start out with, a few perks to show that they're destined for greatness, and a town to start in and help grow.

If you're worried about the second thing, then make it so that when they get the bandits, the town starts to trust them more, as they've proven their worth.
>>
>>54118173
>>54118173
>the problem was that he then went up to the tavern owner, a kind hearted middleage man and asked what those two people where talking about
That should lightly bite him in the ass, assuming they're all new. Why would he make it known that he eavesdropped on people?
>>
>>54118173
You sound like you're taking it overdramatically.

>No starting money
What the heck were you going to use that money for anyway if you have your starting gear?
There's no problem here and it sounds like a proper plot hook.
Only problem is if you gave them some bullshit magical items that unbalances everyone later. Personally I like the approach of giving people unique abilities instead of unique magical items to start with because you can't just transfer over all the magical items and also it works better for magic-hating characters and 'my character has unique properties without relying on some magical item to make them good at blacksmithing', but if they're not going to die this isn't much of an issue.

>Tavern owner
Just have them show a bit of friendliness or compassion so the players don't avoid them. Say, they come back from defeating some bad things, and he congratulates them and says he'll give them a round on the house.
Heck, even have him let them stay over if they need a place for free since 'Hey, you're planning on getting rid of some bad guys and I'd feel sorry for making you sleep out because your money was stolen. Just as long as you promise to get them back good.'
>>
>>54118181
As long as a skeleton army enters into it somewhere, it's good. So I'd say it's a tossup between the Necromancer and the Oathbreaker.
>>
File: 1492284585644.jpg (95KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
1492284585644.jpg
95KB, 1300x866px
>starting a 5e game with my family
>parents are both over 60
>father hasn't played since the early 80s, mother and brother have never played
>father is playing a thief who's only in it for the money
>mother is playing a barbarian who was kicked out of her tribe for being "too mean"
>brother is playing a goblin
How fucked am I?
>>
>>54118173
Don't rob/jail/mind control players without gvign them at least the illusion of choice.
Don't give them magical shit they haven't' earned
If being told not to be a sneaky fuck by a tavern keeper is enough to discourage them they're not adventurer material.
>>
Is there a way to consistently get skeletons over zombies when using animated dead? It seems like most of the time you are going to get zombies
>>
>>54118266
Tell your father to get or think about in the future getting a different motivation, because past levels 3-5 gold is worthless and any adventurer who was in it for that already is rich and can stop risking his life.
>>
>>54117664
That's feels like a stupid and trivial thing to look at the rulebook for, honestly. Just give them whatever weapon you feel is appropriate.
>>
>>54118381
Yes, burn the bodies/feed the bodies to local wildlife first.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498769152228.jpg (65KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498769152228.jpg
65KB, 540x720px
>>54117664
I've dug into this A lot because I love playing necromancers (probably why I also love to DM) and from what I've seen there is no RAW ruling on skeletons being proficient in anything other than what they are armed with in the PHB/ MM.

However, in the description of the skeletons in the MM, skeletons are quite smart. They will avoid obvious hazards, they know how to open doors, and they can be taught how to use all manner of weaponry, including siege weaponry. Basically, if skeletons don't have proficiency in something, they can be trained to use it. Finding a teacher for a skeleton army might be hard, but I'd say it is worth it if you have a DM willing to play ball with the idea.
>>
>>54118237
>>54118244
ok thanks, that makes me feel better those are good ideas

>>54118238
probably assumed he wouldn't get told off for it?

>>54118244
>Only problem is if you gave them some bullshit magical items that unbalances everyone later.
>>54118306
>Don't give them magical shit they haven't' earned

It's a high magic campaign, magic is abundant and in every-day life
some examples:
the farm girl has an enchanted shovel that makes soil weigh very little when digging.
the tavern has enchanted glass mugs that are still brittle but less prone to shattering
the general store has his front door enchanted to ring when opened as well as a book that is self scribing and comes to life, updating the store's inventory when items are bought and sold.

my players have the loot box which contains more useful but still minor magic items
for instance, 'the fortune tellers orb - when hit by an enemy, you glimpse a random image of it's future or past' or the 'Defensive bracers - when you take a dodge action you may move an additional 5ft'

little stuff like that, perfect for low levels
>>
How do you guys feel about adding abilities awarded via plot choices?

Let's say a potion of blood that'll allow a spellcaster to learn blood magic which allows them to convert health into spellslots/damage and a new spell options (taking these from 4e)
>>
>>54118491
Those sound like really good low level magical items when I was expecting more bullshit like '+1 weapons' and '+1 shields' and '+1 armour'

Honestly it sounds like everything's perfectly fine. You're just being overly anxious.
>>
>>54118495
I wouldn't give anything that makes you change that much. Maybe something at the level of a feat.
>>
I want to run a "high fantasy" game, but my imagination can't seem to get past "European countries + Magic". What could serve for good inspiration?
>>
>>54118563
Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.
>>
>>54118181
I personally prefer necromancer over the other options. I'd rather buff my undead permanently than take any of the other options. Plus, I just like the flavor of studying necromancy, probably for years, to get your dark powers rather than calling upon the will of a god or other unholy being to get your powers.
>>
>>54118563
Medieval China? Warring States period? You don't have to go all Oriental Adventures on it, just use the broad strokes as inspiration.

Monk monasteries dot the mountaintops, wizards travel from kingdom to kingdom offering their services and their philosophy, and priests urge their kings to conquer all to prove they hold the Mandate of the Gods.
>>
>>54118563
Take Europe. Take a specific country within that continent. If you want a normal ass fantasy template to start with, take Britain or France, while if you want some more dark fantasy, take an Eastern Europe country. If you want seafaring, take a country on the Mediterranean,and if you want constant, almost city-state like wars, take the area that is now called Germany. Then start researching their history. It doesn't have to be much, maybe an audiobook detailing the country, or a wikipedia article, but I recommend finding one that goes into the aspects of politics between the ruling class and the ruled.

Now take the DnD magic abilities and overlay them. Think about how that country would be if it suddenly had magic that, assuming high fantasy, about 10% of the population could use at any time, and how far people could progress. Now take that, and fast forward two hundred to three hundred years. Think to yourself, "Would the old social order last? What kind of magic is considered good, and which is bad? Do common people still have access to it, and if the ruling class still exists, do they have easy access to higher levels of training?" Things like that. If they have lots of wars with neighboring areas, then take that into account. Give them magic, too, but you don't have to go into their history really, so long as it's colored by the main country's view you can use that.

This can work as a starting off point. I also recommend working in elements from other games, books, entertainment that you enjoy, to keep yourself from being extremely bored when making it if you aren't super into history.
>>
Would a shotgun weapon that deals 4d4-1 be overpowered? I'm trying to make it unique without being a regular old 1 or 2dX, but I don't want it to be OP either.
>>
>>54118563
Honestly doing it in Anatolia or the Crusader States might be fun. Like your party doesn't have to be literally crusaders/ottomans, the story just takes place there. It lets you bring most of the aspects of traditional high fantasy while having a slightly exotic twist.
>>
>>54118807
What level, and how are spread, distance and drop-off taken into account? Single slug or Scattershot?
>>
>>54118563

i'm this guy
>>54118491
the way i'm doing my high fantasy campaign is that all sub-races like dragonborn, half-elf, gnomes, drow etc are a common everyday people who are just like you and me, you might see a copper dragonborn butcher slowly cooking his fresh kill with his flame breath for a hungry half-orc customer

you could have almost everyone have the ability to use magic or at the very least ACCESS to magic, like a town witch/wizard
>>
>>54118807
Shit should have specified, it would end up being -4 total, but I'd rather have it be 4d4.
>>
File: s3kpir.jpg (47KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
s3kpir.jpg
47KB, 328x500px
>>54118643
>Oathbreaker Paladin Necromancer
Former Paladin who gave up everything to follow his his sense of justice, but as the years went on, his faith began to falter until a tragedy befell his loved ones/closest friends and became a fallen paladin, cursing the gods as he sulked in his own anger.

After years of researching in solitude, he finally manages to make a breakthrough in returning his loved ones to life, but not completely. They come back as unholy abominations. Undeterred, he continues to search for stronger magical artifacts said to hold the key to true resurrection of a soul.

He travels now with his former undead loved ones, taking extra care to give them the most protection he can give them, and enchanting their weapons so that they may serve him well until he can once more be reunited with his friends and family.
>>
How would a small ritual to Kurtulmak, the god of Kobolds, look like?
>>
>>54118807
The trick when designing new things is to ask "why would someone NOT want to use this?" If in most you can think of, it's outright better than another choice, it's overpowered.

So to start, a shotgun should have the Two-Handed, Loading, Ammunition qualities. That makes it comparable to a Heavy Crossbow, which is a d10 (5.5). But a Heavy Crossbow can benefit from Crossbow Expert, so let's say a shotgun cannot. That'll justify bumping its damage up somewhat, but you don't want it to be double. 4d4-1 is 9, but inherent pluses and minuses in weapon damage are messy. Lets do 2d8 (9) damage.

Now you have a weapon with distinct appeal, but isn't always the best choice, all the time. But it is appealing for a variety of builds.
>>
>>54118833
It would be hopefully balanced for any level. The range will be low and spread is gonna be difficult to figure out... That was somewhat simulated with the d4s. Maybe it should be a save instead or something. Like Burning Hands only weaker.
>>
File: 1487525494779.jpg (23KB, 511x384px) Image search: [Google]
1487525494779.jpg
23KB, 511x384px
>>54118969
>>Oathbreaker Paladin.

>Paladin has a child.
>child gets turned into a vampire
>Paladin refuses to kill their child
>can't bare the shame of having failed his oath
>can't bare the shame of having failed to protect his child
>turns Oathbreaker to keep them safe from OTHER paladins
>>
>>54119109
AOE weapon attacks are a Pandora's box you may not want to open, Anon, even if it's not as much damage as a spell. A sawn-off shotgun may get a bonus to hit or something at the cost of severely reduced range (and perhaps no disadvantage within 5').
>>
File: [Contemplative Mad Max].png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
[Contemplative Mad Max].png
75KB, 800x600px
>>54119143
...continue.
>>
>>54118987
I can accept the 2d8, but what if it's a ranged attack roll for the target, and a save to avoid damage within a 15-30ft cone? Of course I'd rather have it be more narrow, like 15ft wide and 30ft long to make it more like normal shotguns, and maybe the save should be like 10-15 DC, or against the gunman's Dex mod + Prof mod + 8 or something. But this requires proficiency.
>>
>>54118979
The priest takes a small blood offering from the petitioners (cut on the hand or something), then burns it ritually with a spell to invoke the dragon's fire?
>>
>>54119109
I recommend what >>54118987 says, as it's quite useful in terms of balance. For range, I would say a 60 foot range, but with three different range damages. If it's within 20 feet, then the full 4d4 damage should apply, but for a single target. If it's 21 to 40 feet, then 3d4 and you can hit two targets if they stand next to each other. And if it's 41 to 60 feet, then you can hit things within a 10 foot radius of the original target for 2d4. Or do what >>54119149 said and don't open the box.
>>
>>54119155

Shotguns don't have nearly as much spread as you are thinking they do, and even if they did, they wouldn't hit everything in the cone for max damage, let alone more damage than any other weapon.

Weapons should be attack rolls, not saving throws. Again, this needs to not be something that is literally better than everything else in the game. That's the reason most homebrews are shit.
>>
>>54119208
I am aware, I have fired shotguns before. A shotgun also would do far more than 4d4 damage. And the save would be low, like 10. So it's 50/50 for anyone without mods, and then they'd take half damage if they fail and none if they succeed. Also a 15ft spread isn't that much.
>>
File: excelsior_tunnel6.jpg (122KB, 598x576px) Image search: [Google]
excelsior_tunnel6.jpg
122KB, 598x576px
How would your party collapse a tunnel to prevent an enemy incursion, without themselves being trapped, /tg/?
>>
>>54119250
Cast Shatter at max range down the tunnel and run like hell the other direction.
>>
File: 1487525028212.jpg (30KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1487525028212.jpg
30KB, 700x525px
>>54119153

well...

>vampires need to feed on blood
>paladin goes out for his (lets say daughter, because that's cute.) daughter
>picks up random people
>introduces himself with his full (ex)noble title
>convinces the poor schmuck to help the Paladin on his noble quest
>knocks them out
>takes them back
>gentle has to encourage his daughter to feed
>she doesn't know how, she just wants to have mom's chicken soup like a normal family and play outside again
>he has to show her the ways of the monsters he once hunted
>he quests for relics and items that will keep her safe in sunlight
>spends all his wealth on keeping her safe
>she grows up with PallyDad gone, just wants to be normal
>doesn't understand her body

>adventures keep coming to kill her
>she runs away
>doesn't want to hurt anybody
>PallyDad comes back to find her gone
>starts questing to find her.
>>
>>54119238
>A shotgun would do far more than 4d4 damage
Yeah no, you're falling for your own muh guns meme. Damage from a longbow fired by an expert from within 100 feet is only 1d8, and bows are deadly as fuck.

If you're about to argue that your weapon is a modern shotgun, then for god's sake just play a different game than D&D, or make this a magic item with limited uses and not a regular every-round weapon.
>>
>>54119283
;_;
>>
>>54119238
Keep in mind 4d4 is already beyond overkill for the average commoner, soldier or a deer. Adventurers and the monsters they face on a regular basis are orders of magnitude more durable (or lucky, depending on how you narratively dictate AC) than people they would be normally expected to deal with.
>>
>>54119299
You missed the point. I meant comparing it to a real shotgun, not other weapons. A bow would also deal far more damage, especially in the hands of an expert. I'm saying the range and spread would be unrealistic yet it would fit because the damage and such for other weapons are also unrealistic. So yes, 4d4 is fine damage in DnD, as is lower range and increased spread.
>>
File: [mrgrgrs booty].jpg (2MB, 1880x2080px) Image search: [Google]
[mrgrgrs booty].jpg
2MB, 1880x2080px
>>54119283
I'm enjoying this far more than I should.
>>
>>54119283
D&D vampires undergo full-blown soul blackening into a predator, their former personality reduced to a layer of makeup and memories.
>>
File: shotguns.png (4MB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
shotguns.png
4MB, 1919x1079px
>>54118807
Just use shadowrun rules. It's simple enough
>>
>>54118181
Necromancer 6 / Bard 6
Animate Dead, Song of Rest and Crusaders Mantle
>>
>Clerics should have religion trained because they're fucking clerics and their concept is strength through divine faith
>Religion is an Int skill
>Clerics don't use Int at all
reeeeeee
>>
>>54119527
but then you aren't getting create undead until level 17
>>
>>54119673
>faith means you've read dozens of books and went to lecture about the subject
Being a Cleric doesn't imply the Religion skill at all. It's more likely that fat neckbeards (ie whizzhards) would have it trained because they enjoy refuting religious folk on fantasy internet
>>
>>54119453
Yeah but that's boring. Reluctant vampires are great characters.
>>
>>54119673
Religion skill is more about knowledge of other religions.
There's no reason a Cleric of Ilmater should know how others worship other gods like Silvanus, only a theologian (i.e. bookworm wizard) should know this stuff.
>>
Does anyone else dislike how charisma is the spellcasting ability for warlocks and sorcerers? Like, I understand the reasoning behind it but it means that a powerful sorcerer and warlock is going to be charismatic, even if you're some hermit who lives all alone and hates people. For bards it makes the most sense but I feel like the other classes should use wisdom or constitution.
>>
>>54119673
Which is why you have Religion (Inteligence) checks and Religion ( Wisdom) checks
>>
>>54119737
So are zombie professors and tapdancing whales.
>>
I want to play a pirate character so bad I wish I had more time for d&d
>>
>>54119673
It's not really canon, but I like to think of the average cleric as more likely to be a deeply devout farmboy who knows little about official theology than the actual clergy of the religion, something that annoys the priests and bishops to no end.

>>54119840
It's supposed to represent force of personality but I understand what you're saying. Sorcerers could have been WIS just as easily but there were already plenty of WIS casters.
>>
>>54119840
I agree with you on Warlocks. Warlocks either need to be Intelligence for their knowledge of the supernatural, Wisdom to reflect their awareness of spiritual matters, or somehow remove the need for such a stat entirely from the class to represent how ANYONE can get involved in such demonic chicanery.

Sorcerers simply intuitively working magic through Willpower is perfectly fine, and Charisma has been that for a while.
>>
>>54119737
No they're not, they're boring and overused.
>>
>>54118181
How about Oath Breaker 9 / Warlock X?

Infinite skellies once you hit warlock 5. If it's a Hexblade warlock you can also mix it up with your own skellies in melee and the aura damage bonus is actually quite nice.
>>
>>54119840
>>54119911
I actually think Warlocks make perfect sense as CHA.

Think about how you get your powers. To become a Warlock, you have to have been able to bargain with a being that will most likely be hostile to your existence, if not above it entirely, disregarding the shitty fluff of neo-Undying Light or whichever one was in the Class Revision UA. So it makes sense most Warlocks cast from CHA, as they needed to be able to persuade someone to get that power in the first place.
>>
File: 1487812756651.jpg (134KB, 514x503px) Image search: [Google]
1487812756651.jpg
134KB, 514x503px
>>54119851
>So are zombie professors and tapdancing whales.

Maybe..

but a (imo) much better idea would be zombies who still understand they where ONCE human and now beg for death for fear of their souls and that they might hurt someone, but still crave flesh

could you imagine

>a wailing mob approaching your small barricade they scream and plead with you to end their lives climbing over each other desperate to be killed by your holy weapon and released from their hell
>but also unable to hold back their hunger for your flesh
>they swarm over one of your paladin friends screaming at him in a thousand angry voices
>they kill him
>then they turn to you...
>"KILL US HELP US!"
>>
>>54119999
>who still understand they where ONCE human and now beg for death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CP30zgAw2o
>>
File: colbertballoons.gif (959KB, 200x134px) Image search: [Google]
colbertballoons.gif
959KB, 200x134px
>>54119840
>have a character concept for a sorcerer knight who's just as freaked out by the sudden onset of his magical abilities as everyone else is
>wanted his flaw to be a lack of confidence; he's awkward and anxious and a little cowardly* and while he may follow the orders of others loyally, he flounders with indecision by himself
>intended for his backstory to be that he left his soldier unit because he was afraid he couldn't control his powers

but these traits are antithetical to the mechanics of the Sorcerer, unless I purposely sabotaged myself with low Charisma. Sure I could just inject it into roleplay but disruption between form and function in character design always jostles me

*not the memey cowardly where he'll be too scared to do anything ever, more like Courage the Cowardly Dog where he'll just be surprising himself all the time with what he's really capable of doing when the stakes are high
>>
>>54120103
stone sorcerer with low cha works fine
>>
>>54120162

Stone Sorcerer is definitely what I'd want to be, but the thing is, if I totally did dump Charisma then I'd be limited to just utility spells or buffs. I'd still want to fling the occasional fire bolt and such.

At least Magic Missile is indifferent.
>>
>>54117499
New UA is on the 10th. WotC is closed tomorrow.
>>
>>54117301
People dont talk about it, because all sensible gamemasters have it banned.
>>
>>54120103
Charisma isn't necessarily self-confidence. There are self-depreciating, humble or insecure people who are still liked.
>>
>>54120192
Blade spells are actually also pretty good., and aren't going to use your CHA.
>>
>>54120253
Greenflame Blade pretty explicitly uses your casting modifier, though at higher levels it's insignificant compared toe the d8s you'll be adding.
>>
>>54117590
Those weren't actually WotC made, I think some other guy actually owns the rights to them.

Personally I'd bet on Twilight Druid, Horizon Walker, Hexblade or Forge Cleric being one of them.
>>
Anyone here try out the Seeker UA Patron for Warlocks? I really like the flavor of it but I'm not certain of its viability. It clearly focuses on a more up close, aggressive Warlock as you're basically using all your slots during the refuge feature, and the special 5 minute short rest also reinforces that. I do think the Pact of the Tome fits best flavor wise but Blade seems to be a good fit too. What does everyone else think?
>>
>>54120103

Maybe dump Wis and Int, put those points into Strength/Con instead.

He lacks the sense of mind that magic tends to make things easier; he was always a man of muscle and steel, and he'll always use that approach first. If someone points out that he has magic that could make things better/easier/quicker, he'll shrug it off as 'not the way I do things'.

Not exactly what you wanted, but maybe this helps?
>>
>>54120300
They were written by a guy (Dan Helmick) who was a WotC employee at the time, WotC still owns the rights to all of them.
>>
>>54120300
>Horizon Walker
It's already confirmed to be on XTE, I think they consider it already done
>>
>>54120353
I was already fully willing and planning to dump WIS, mostly because I saw him as impulsive, easily manipulated, lacking foresight, etc. It just made sense. I originally hatched the character concept as a Battle Master Fighter (and I might still take a two level dip for Action Surge) with WIS/CHA as my dumps. But then a sorcerous origin made a lot more sense for the character; magic suddenly manifesting leans into it moreso than studying magic and getting bullied for it or something.

>>54120243 made a good point that maybe I'm boxing Charisma too tightly; if it's not self-confidence and charm, then maybe it could just be determination and heart.

I see this character as very Spider-man like, honestly: some poor, shy, outcasted youngster gets wild powers and has no idea what to do with them., and they learn a real bad lesson when they don't use those powers well.
>>
>>54120103
Ask to use something else for your casting stat. There's already too many charisma casters and giving sorcerers a slight boon wouldn't unbalance anything.

Well, honestly, what you need is a fair DM that gives everybody bonuses to flesh out their character.
>>
Help me name this item /5eg/

This component pouch is made from leather tanned from hide stripped from a devil. While attuned to this item, a ranger knows extra spells equal to his Wisdom modifier, and he can change all his spells known at dawn of each day.

The flavor is supposed to be a hint of forbidden knowledge that gives a ranger a bit more versatility.
>>
>>54120495

I'd much rather put it into INT, yeah; what sucks the most about this character concept is that I'd be getting the most bonuses only to the skills that the character themselves wouldn't or shouldn't be good at. Why would this awkward nerd be good at Performance? Persuasion? It could be spun as a "coming into their own," "not knowing their true talents" story but like, I don't /want/ those to be their talents.

I've just been spinning this character around and if there's no dice on petitioning the DM, then I guess I'll go Eldritch Knight. I'd imagine an understanding-enough DM would allow an INT sorcerer, but I feel like too many characters I make require some form of stipulation or asterisk and I was hoping to play this one by the book.
>>
File: 1487808565065.jpg (22KB, 210x264px) Image search: [Google]
1487808565065.jpg
22KB, 210x264px
>>54120497

Tainted pouch

Devilish bag

Hellish sack

Corrupted container

Godless Basket
>>
>>54120497

The Satanic Satchel of Supplementary Spells
>>
>>54120588
I'd say to go wizard with a level of fighter or two of fighter, actually.

The idea is they started taking notes on their powers to try to refine them and to tame them.

You just need to refluff 'years of study' as a 'sorcerer-ish' background.

Though, granted, a lot of wizard things are precise utilities that befit someone having done years of study.
>>
>>54120497
I don't see why such a thing would be a pouch rather than a book made of tanned devil skin or whatever. It reeks of 'I'll just make a random item and then enchant it with whatever'

It really just sounds like you picked a random item and then thought 'okay, I want X to have this item so I'll make it grant X a specific class related ability'

It.. Just doesn't feel right.

It feels the most appropriate item for the effect would be a small book made from fey materials that both druids and rangers could use.
>>
>>54120607
>SSSStylish!!
>>
>>54120497
Fiendish nutsack.
>>
>>54120746
Devil hide makes more sense for the character it's going to, and I don't want to make it a book. There's supposed to be some mystery about why the character has expanded spell knowledge just from using this item.
>>
>>54120812
Well, what is the mystery then?
It seems weird to get extra nature spells just from having an infernal object on you.
>>
>>54120835
It was made by Baphomet and contains ground up bones, hair, teeth, etc. from powerful devils he killed.

It's supposed to make minotaurs better at hunting and tracking. The character is a minotaur using the stats from UA Waterborne.
>>
>>54120497
Baal's Sack

Fuckin obviously
>>
>>54120892
Or the Sack of Baal so it takes your players a moment to get it.
>>
>>54119851
>badwrongfun
>>
>>54120860
I... Guess.
It still feels like it might be more appropriate to do something slightly different such as identifying/tracking fiends or summoning a fiendish tracking helper or spirits trapped inside whispering things to the character or giving access to some more infernal rangery spells even if they're homebrewed spells.

The connection between 'ranger spells', 'baphomet' and 'devil skin bag of witch doctery contents' doesn't seem quite strong enough. I guess I can see baphomet having a bag like that, but I can't see it quite granting specifically ranger spells to minotaurs.
>>
>>54120978
I honestly don't care, I didn't ask for critique, but a name.

Sack of Baal is a better contribution than this.
>>
> Play solo 5th as an artificer (gunslinger)
> End up using randomly generated dungeons and other stuff to pad out me walking to and from places
> Ended up constantly using everything in my inventory to find traps, stealth and evade monsters that are stronger or out number me
> Homebrew gear maintenance rules so now I'm dropping at least 1/4th of all loot on maintaining/repairing my armor and weapons
> Constantly get attacked by bandits
> Constantly nearly dying to traps and shit
> By session 10, I've taken down bandit captains, bears, and survived an encounter with an ogre using the sound strategy of pocket sand and running for my life
> Die to a pack of dogs
> After that realize I was basically playing D&D mixed with STALKER

Is it wrong I had having fun with this?
>>
File: 1491192991929.gif (97KB, 398x303px) Image search: [Google]
1491192991929.gif
97KB, 398x303px
>>54121006
If anyone ever mentions a magical item that doesn't seem to make proper sense, I'll always be here to get angry at it. It's my hobby.
>>
>>54121040
How the fuck you avoid metagaming when you are playing by yourself?
>>
>>54118266
Just let them have fun. Forcing new players to have backstories and motivations isn't letting them organically enjoy the game, even if you're only acting in their best interests.

Your job here as the DM is to work around them. If their PC's aren't going to bond, don't try and force it, just offer them money and items for questing as their motivation for being a party.
>>
>>54121088
Typically I use the GM Emulator then when I enter a room or about to enter a room, I ask "With a perception of 15, do I hear anything through the door?".

I then roll a D% and consult a chart along with comparing my perception check to the difficulty charts they'd typically have like (DC:10 is average, 15 is challenging, etc) to come to a conclusion.

Example, if I rolled let's say a 67%, that should means I do hear something is behind the door. I won't know what exactly it is, but I hear SOMETHING. Which then means I need to be careful and think about how'd I have to get around it.

That and before a dungeon crawl, I go around a village or town and gather info, which goes similarly to what I described above. Find out about any local orc activity, undead, etc.

Then when I'm in a dungeon or forest, I can suspect that what ever is nearby making a noise or leaving remains is an orc or something.

The key for me is to ask this shit right before I enter a room or area so I won't know ahead of time, what the fuck I'm getting myself into.

That and combine it with random encounters.
>>
>>54118266

As someone who recently introduced their own family to D&D to much success: simplify, simplify, simplify. Make everything as simple as possible starting out. The less numbers and mechanics you use, the less likely you are to overwhelm them. Introduce that shit gradually, and only as it comes up. Don't expect them to know the whole PH like you do.

Second, relax. Role play doesn't come naturally to a lot of people. Their characters will almost certainly begin as one-note caricatures but there's a dozen way to gently tease out deeper characterization. Find ways to implement downtime where they just kind of...talk to each other, or have to talk to an NPC. Let their characters talk about their characters, in-character.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>54121040
> Play solo
>>
>>54121006
it's still a shit item, nobody cares if you wanted someone to point that out or not.
>>
>>54120497

Why make it a component pouch of all things? Making it an arcane focus and saying the ranger can use this as a focus for ranger spells opens up so much more flavor.
>>
Why haven't you banned half-elves yet, /5eg/?
>>
>>54121172
This is sad
>>
>>54117269
>Love the options of warlock utility invocations
>Get too few to really get milage out of them without feeling like I'm not as good in combat
Man I wish they'd separate them into combat/utility and let you pick a few each bump. I'd be more fine with EB turreting if i got more fun stuff like beast speech without having to give up EB options or combat buffs or mystic arcanum tax.
>>
How do I make sneaking through a sewer system interesting?
>>
>>54121495
Oozes, otyughs, and giant crocodiles.
>>
>>54121388
My homebrew has no half races, and the only playable races are Dwarf, Elf, Human, Orc, and Troll.
>>
>>54121495
>>54121495
Wild creatures inside. There'll be parts where hobos and vagrants are living, so you could pass by recently abandoned camp sites. Whole walls scrawled with gang symbols. Maybe an alternate route written in Thieves' Cant. Maybe some of the Cisterns have their own ecosystem now with luminescent lichen. The occasional tunnel by City Kobolds. They'll offer you a shortcut through their tunnels for a price, though they might be lying.
>>
>>54117301
The Wu Jen masteries are obscene.
>>
>>54121388
>Banning half-elves when V. Humans exist
>>
>>54121617
>Not banning both
>>
>>54121495
>Not buffing humans instead
>>
>>54121495
Have them likely end up fighting but emphasise that they don't want to make a lot of noise while fighting.
>>
>>54121388
Half-elves should be +1 cha and two floating +1s, one of which could also be charisma.
>>
How would you build a Thief that weaponizes Slight of Hand instead of using daggers and other conventional weapons?

Spend every bit of money on explosives and grenades to put in your opponent's bag? Steal weapons mid-fight without them noticing?
Kali-ma their hearts out of their chest without anyone noticing you?
>>
Anyone have any suggestions for magical effects for a greatsword/runeblade that's an inheritance for my non evil death knight?

Both me and my gm are having trouble coming up with stuff that isn't already included in the class, since stuff like healing on hit and extra cold/fire/necrotic damage based on cha modifier is already used.

As for fluff background on the sword, it's called Voluc's Sorrow, and all the character knows about it thus far is that it's responsible for raising him from the dead, as allowing him to retain most of his humanity.
>>
>>54121770
Can be used once to pierce a recently deceiced corpse to destroy the weapon once and gor all and revive the person.

Can be used by your DK to cast the possessing half of Magic Jar, as your soul is bound to the sword already, meaning you could use it to take over another peeson's body and lock their soul inside the sword until the effect is lifted (once per week).

Just some suggestions. Hard to give fitting effects without knowing the level of your campaign and how powerful it is allowed to be.
>>
>>54121335
Component pouches are underused as magic items and gives me some room to expand the description. I've been thinking about the item more and I'm describing it as such:

String of Skulls

Strips of grey leather connect three misshapen skulls into a macabre trophy that can be hung from a belt. Each skull has a reddish tint, as if stained by blood that will never wash away. The top skull has small nubs that could be the remains of broken horns. The bottom skull has a feline appearance with abnormally long fangs. The top of the middle skull has been carved away to make room for a grey leather pouch dappled with black that is filled with ground bones, strangely matted fur, jagged yellowed fangs, preserved inhuman eyes, and other unsavory spell components of fiendish origin. Opening the pouch releases a slight smell of sulfur. The skulls grant a ranger a number of bonus known ranger spells equal to his Wisdom modifier, and it allows him to change his known spells after each long rest. The pouch allows the ranger to cast Find Familiar as a ritual without the material components, but it always summons a fiendish owl. The ranger can use a bonus action instead of a normal action to use the owl’s senses.
>>
File: 1487710209820.gif (128KB, 473x235px) Image search: [Google]
1487710209820.gif
128KB, 473x235px
This is (one of) the current McGuffin(s) of a good ol' morally ambiguous "get this loot" campaign rather than "LORD BIGGUS DICKUS THE EARTHRAPER IS COMING TO RAPE THE EARTH AND ONLY U AND YOUR PARTY OF PLUCKY TEENS WITH ATTITUDE CAN STOP HIM :DDD".

What do you think?

Decanter of Endless Life
Wondrous Item, Artifact
As an action, you can drink or pour from this Decanter, which is always full of a warm crimson liquid.
The liquid inside heals 2d4+2 hp, in addition to stopping aging, curing all diseases, and suppressing any curse (Including Vamparism or ones inflicted by Deities) for 24 hours.

Moving the liquid 30 feet or more from the Decanter causes it to turn into water.
>>
>>54121923
Does it permanently stop aging or just suppress aging for a time?
>>
File: Donovan_death.jpg (106KB, 617x343px) Image search: [Google]
Donovan_death.jpg
106KB, 617x343px
>>54121987
For 24 hours.

You better hope you get your next fix a hundred years from now or pic related is gonna be you.
>>
>>54121843

Everyone in the campaign is currently level 4, so I'm trying to keep it level appropriate. No extra damage as of yet, but it does count as a magical weapon due to it being a runeblade.

As it's an inheritance there's room for it to "gain" new powers as time goes on, or for the character to discover already existing powers.

I was also thinking of having the sword function something like a phylactery that allows you to take over the body of someone else should you die and they pick up, but that seems like an inherently evil attribute, which isn't appropriate for the character or the item.

Having it be sentient also crossed my mind, but I decided against it.
>>
At what level is it appropriate to give magic weapons?
>>
Am I an asshole for wanting to drop Stormbringer on my party?

I already set a precedent for black magic weapons so they're not gonna be instantly paranoid.
>>
I'm new to DMing and while I have most of the mechanics and such figured out, I'm having trouble determining how much treasure should be given at the end of dungeon or other big event as a reward. I know there are parts in the DMG about rewarding the players, but I guess I've got brain problems and can't seem to find something simple I can remember off hand. Is there any kind of formula or set limit of treasure you guys have depending on the number of party members and their level? How do I into treasure?
>>
>>54122064
At lvl 5-6.
Keep it at +1 weapons and gear that has common enchantments like bags of holding or night-vision googles.
>>
>>54093823
My view/explanation of hit points is like this

"Hit points are things you spend to not get hit when you should get hit. Like, he rolled higher than your not-get-hit stat, that means he stabbed you with his sword. You're dead. 'Nuh-uh', you say, 'I spend hit points so he doesn't kill me. He only nicked me.'"

Obviously, being nicked by a poisoned blade could still kill you, so you have to spend more hit points so now he doesn't even scratch you. Sounds like perfect playground logic to me.

Anyone else have silly or childish explanations to share?
>>
>>54121762
Out of combat: Plant contraband and whatnot on people then report them, thus having them arrested and removed from play.

In combat: A poisoned ring or needle or other small item you could use to prick people/creatures and inject them. Also lifting spell foci, component bags, healing potions. Or undoing belts and straps and whatnot to hamper opponents fighting ability.
>>
If I wanted to take a 3 level dip as a paladin would warlock or sorcerer be more beneficial? Also, should I go devotion or vengeance? My group just hit level 3 today
>>
>>54122043
Allowing the sword to cast mind control spells would also be an option. There's several of those and the sword could aqcuire stronger ones as time goes on, starting with simple stuff like Command and expanding to Geass and the likes.

You could fluff it as the sword's spirit manipulating the consciousness of your target. Wouldn't be anything inherently evil (at least not more evil than the act of killing any person), has room to improve and isn't too broken at lower levels.
>>
>>54117269
I'm going to be DMing in about two weeks and i'm trying to get a hang of the roll d20 site, as well as doing 5e for the first time.

Anyone doing any oneshots or running any games I might be able to watch or even join in on?
>>
>>54122098
Warlock would be better but please keep up with the theme.

Hardly any paladin except an Oathbreaker would contract with a Fiend.

Simillary an Ancients Paladin would most likely contract with Fey.

Finally they did release the Celestial patron for Warlocks in the last UA so you should go with that.

Hexblade is also an option as not all Hexblades have to be Blackrazor expies. They can be weapons of gods you serve and so on.

A Hexblade is ideal tho since you don't have to raise your STR if you use a onehanded weapon.
>>
>>54121923
It completely removes the entire point of out of healing and almost removes the point of removing curses amongst the party.

But, angering the life cleric if there is one aside, I'd say it works well if you remove the healing.
>>
>>54122205
>Simillary an Ancients Paladin would most likely contract with Fey.
>Fey
>Not the Great Old Ones
You bitches aren't ancient ENOUGH!
>>
>>54121495
bad footing and dysentry
>>
Do you consider it "wrong" to retire a PC to make another?

I've been playing one for about a year now but due to a number of reasons (Namely they're a character made with dicking around away from the party on their own goals as a spy for a foreign nation in mind and our group went from 4 to 6 so now I feel like I'm wasting the groups time when I'm off faffing about alone) so I've been mulling over having them relegated to NPC status and act as Ocelot in MGSV giving the party intel.
>>
>>54122551
no
>>
>>54122551
If you don't do it too much such that it's annoying for the DM and the other players, it's fine. As you said you've been playing this character for a year now, if he's found somewhere else he's more effective it's not a problem.

Somebody who can't play five sessions without asking to play a different character is an annoyance, but this is fine.
>>
>>54118969
Seems hard to make one of these due to it being MAD but the idea is great.
>>
>>54121495
Sprinkle secrets and events around - a corpse with a diary, a cave-in revealing a hidden vault, an encounter with a group of dwellers... - and make sure it's not taking too long. Do not let your players explore endless tunnels with nothing in them ("You come to your 19th T-crossing... do you go left or right, or back?")
>>
Where do you find non-numbskulls for online games?

I've found two guys who are really cool, but the other people who've I've gotten to play are awful.
One was perfectly fine the entire session, but his character died. It was a bad accident and just some bad rolls/positioning. He was okay with it, rolled up a new character ASAP and started playing. I asked him if he was upset about it and he said no, laughed it off and said he plays a lot so it was okay.
Then he blocked me.
Two chucklefucks joined together, made characters, backgrounds and seemed excited to play. Then never showed up. But they joined the roll20, were online in the chat and refused to answer my messages.
Another didn't show and hasn't been online since then.
What the fuck is wrong with these people?
>>
>>54122710
Try Reddit
>>
>>54122780
I've tried looking around but to be honest the way the place is set up its really hard to navigate compared to here so I get tired and leave.
Do you know any reddit boards or maybe a discord that a reddit has set up that I could join and post in?
>>
>>54122806
Kill yourself
>>
>>54122843
I can try, thanks!
>>
>>54122843
nigga calm down

>>54122806
I'd start by posting in https://www.reddit.com/r/lfg/
There are also some discords in the top post there
>>
>>54122551
It's better to retire a character when there's reason to, i.e. 'no good reason to adventure with party anymore'
>>
File: moe.gif (999KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
moe.gif
999KB, 500x375px
>>54122551
This anon has it right >>54122959

I had to retire one of my wizard players because, even though she was fun to play, she had no reason to really stay with the group at all, and she didn't mesh well with the party dynamic. I rerolled a character, made her an NPC, and things have been great since then. It's okay to retire PCs.
>>
Would any non-war domain clerics would work well with a conquest paladin? More flavor-wise than mechanics, and not multiclassing, just two people from the same order working together
>>
>>54123065
As long as they're lawful evil then sure.
>>
>>54123065
Forge for indifferent "faith and steel" order
Protection if it a "liberate the fuck outta you"
and Tempest for a "might makes right."
>>
>>54123065
Tempest domain would work really well, but I could see anything working. A life cleric could be working toward "the greater good"
>>
>>54119840
>>54120103
Just don't take any proficiencies in diplomacy skills. Hell Warlock doesn't even get persuasion.
>>
>>54123065
>>54123137
A life cleric acting as an adviser for the paladin and trying to be his voice of humanity (or just the good cop) would be interesting.
>>
So what's the general consensus on the artificer and the mystic?
>>
>>54123262
Whenever I read critique about Mystic it has the power level equivalent to playing Aang from Avatar while your party members are just Katara and Sokka.
>>
>>54123262
If you're not faffing around with Wu Jen proficiency bullshit, the big issue of the mystic is that it's stupidly versatile and can tread on a lot of classes' toes, but even then it can't supplant them. All these focuses letting them get advantage on every other roll or proficiency in everything is the big problem.

Artificer is lacking something. Being a 1/3rd caster is absolutely shit. Mechanical Servant should be an archetype, or at least be exchangeable with something else. Gunsmith is boring but fine, Alchemist is boring and relies too much on saving throws.
>>
>>54123262
Artificer is too dependent on the DM's discretion for its main job, artificing/invention. What you basically have (especially with gunsmith compared to arcane trickster) is a utility rogue who gets expertise with tools instead of skills. You have the same damage dice except ranged, both of you use thieves' tools and instead of thieves' cant you get identify and detect magic as rituals.

And that's fine for rogues because the uses for skills are very clearly laid out. You want to be stealthy, it's dexterity and there are set, clear guidelines. But there aren't clear lines set out for inventing and crafting things, or making armor (some people will insist on having the exact same metal quality, or say that you can only be good at weapon or armor smithing). So while one DM may be permissive and let you rebuild industrial civilization with just your tinkerer's tools and smith tools, one might not even think it's enough to repair your armor.

To put it simple, it's a utility class whose utility is way too dependent on the DM for us to make any judgement on its primary hallmark, so it's practically impossible to say whether it does that job well.
>>
File: crews.gif (994KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
crews.gif
994KB, 500x281px
>End of joke One Shot
>Playing a 20 STR GOO Warlock of Gains
>After stealing the McGuffin the bad dudes were using to summon their god use it to summon my Patron instead
>Wall of building explodes, RIPPED Cuthulu on a jetski flys in yelling "100% ELDRITCH POOWWEERRRRR"
>Entire party boosted to 40 STR, we punch bad guys into space

Man it's nice to play a goofy fucking off game every now and then since our main one is 100% serious business. Have you played anything silly lately?
>>
File: 1494785830128.gif (877KB, 345x270px) Image search: [Google]
1494785830128.gif
877KB, 345x270px
GIVE ME RUMOURS AND PLOTHOOKS NOW NOW NOW
>>
>>54123458
I played one that I don't think was meant to be funny, but everyone seems to like it anyways. My DM planned a one shot session that was supposed to be standard JRPG stuff within DnD. Four Elemental crystals need to be found to defeat the evil overlord and keep the islands safe and such. It was also a re-introduction of an old player who got basically got, not kicked out of our group, but put on the bottom of the priority list because he can't roleplay for shit, when he does it's randumb bullshit, and it's been four years of playing and he still doesn't know what hit dice do. So he picks a standard knight character, Champion Fighter, and immediately starts shitting the bed, so when they introduce my Monk character, I make him into a cheeky cunt who can smacktalk some sense into the guy. I also end up becoming the Grapple King. Turns out, the DM has shit luck with dice, and I had the grappling perk whose name I forget, so I was constantly seperating enemies from the battle physically. Examples include:
>Lighting an Orc on fire, then grappling him and pinning him down so that his face was in the firepit
>Grabing a Goblin and slamming him into another Goblin
>Izuna dropping a Kobold off of a bridge
>Reversing a grapple on a mercenary when he tried to take me hostage
>Turning Ki into FIGHTAN SPIRIT and using that to throw myself at an Earth Elemental
>Grappling an Enemy Crab and eating into it while the Sorcerer slams it with Firebolt to cook it alive

Eventually the DM leaned into it by making a Yuan-Ti into a masochist who creeped me out of grappling him, so it would be actual combat.
>>
>LMoP
>fight ambush
>capture a goblin and make him lead to their hideout
>fight hideout
>capture a goblin and make him lead to their castle
>fight castle
>get Gundren/map and go to the mines
>fight mines
>never see phandalin or make any sidequest
???
>>
Who here has finished OotA?

Did anyone else have their players control the demon lords when they were brought together and fight each other?

Yeenoghu was the MVP as he landed the killing blow on 3 demon lords, but Jubilexe lasted till the end thanks to his regeneration

Orcus and Demogorgon did not participate as they were fighting each other.

One of my players grabbed the Wand of Orcus, but he rolled the "A god sends an empyrean to get it back" so he lost it right after the battle
>>
>>54123751
We are just getting the materials for the ritual and I'm going to be so disappointed if my DM doesn't do this
>>
>>54123804
How many players do you have and how many demon lords are still on the material plane?

My players went back in time so ALL the demon lords were still around
>>
>>54123853
We are 5
As far as I'm aware they are all around. We haven't done anything to them other than run away, but I don't know if they have done anything to each other.
>>
>>54123751
Which god has the wand now and what do you mean by "get it back"? Does Orcus have it again?
>>
File: frodo.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Anons, me and the DM of our game are in some issues.

Me and the DM agree, even when we aren't exactly friends, that the rest of our group, even when they come to play the game weekly and some of them seem to be giving it time to improve; we don't know if they'll be able to grow into fine players.

As for right now, the group is as follows:

>The CN doing illogical stuff
>The guy who hinders group progress and RP because "he wants to be in character" (Which honestly, the only issue it'd give is negociating with the character so it's not left out)
>The "I attack" guy (the most hopeless case, to be honest; he barely RPs and stays shut all the time)
>The new guy, but you can see how he does want to improve and actually thinks through
>me, the guy trying to play while giving a few headers to the rest of the group, without stepping in metagame.

I would like to know if there's something we could do to encourage these players to improve and gain experience in a positive way? I've met too many that have been scared away from D&D because of how stoic some groups are regarding strict RPing or strict rules/DM...

Or are we to watch over them and pray they turn out to take an interest in the game?
>>
>>54123940
Rolling 95-100 on the major detriment artifact table there is a 10 percent chance an empyrean is sent to remove the artifact from the mortals possession

Can be any god
>>
>>54123624
The local barista holds a secret pertaining to their establishments owner.
>>
>>54124021
Try and give the CN consequences, nurture the new guy, and attempt to integrate the in-character guy's personality into the type of jobs they can get. Honestly, the in-character guy depends mostly on how far down the murderhobo scale he is. The farther away from that, the more likely it is to save him. The "I fight" guy is beyond hope, however.
>>
>>54124021
>The CN doing illogical stuff
Punish that ass appropriately if it's especially randumb
>>
Would it be a bad idea to be a Hexblade just for the better armor? I look at the other patrons and their benefits don't seem especially powerful or appealing, except maybe their spell lists but I only have a handful of slots anyway.
>>
>>54124220
Doing Hexblade specifically for a strong bladelock but fluffing it as another patron is something I highly recommend. Work with your DM for specifics, though.
>>
>>54124120
Well, rather than murderhobo the in-character guy is more like "Does it pay?/Does it have gold?/Will we get a surplus for this?" and if the answer is negative, he's all like "Nah, im not going through this". It could all be that he plays the character well and actually wants everyone to put the character into working with them, but on my side, it sometimes bothers me how it hinders progress for 1 hour.

>>54124153
Does taking the time to prepare a costume to infiltrate a base to blow the cover off by healing prisoners in plain sight of the enemy count towards that? If so, I do not get why is he still alive.
>>
Hey /tg/ I need a some advice for roll20.

Anyone have any tips on how to efficiently align a map that originally has 20 feet length per square?
>>
>>54124306
align to original size then quadruple the page size dimensions and reposition the map
>>
>>54124230
I think I want to make just a regular warlock but with more armor. I want pact of the tome for the ritual casting, and for melee I was planning on taking crossbow expert and using "Eldritch Slash" since Eldritch Blast is still basically my best combat option.
>>
>>54124336
Haven't thought about that. Thank you
>>
>>54124280
You can settle this in two ways.

As time goes on, if the in-character guy is building trust with the group, then eventually he'll start taking on jobs just to support the group. That's the ideal. But if you get to the point where the group is going on a job, but the in-character guy is refusing because there's no money, confront him about it in-game. If he still won't go, then he shouldn't go. Have his character sit out the quest, as it's doubtful he'll really keep it up if the group really does leave him.
>>
>>54124280
Oh, it's that guy. That's got the dumb covered so yeah, give him hell.
>>
Just had this big boss battle with an arc's villain. It's not that it was disappointing, but earlier moments of the session overshadowed it - we had a much bigger battle with nearly fifty of his minions, led by his lieutenant, whom I had much more personal connection with.
Meanwhile, we never met the Big Villain at all - though we knew he was bad and that we had to kill him - and I felt like the fight with him was much less exciting. It was just him and us in a very cramped space, and he was overloaded with different special abilities and mechanics.
>>
How does one play CN correctly?
>>
>>54124773
do the first thing that pops into your head so long as it isn't an obvious danger to yourself, and by yourself I mean your party.
>>
>>54124773
A character that doesn't have strong moral beliefs. Not particularly evil, not particularly good. Being neutral doesn't mean you can just do evil or good at will, but just that you lie somewhere inbetween.
>>
>>54122948
Thanks pal.
>>
So how does Heavy Armor Mastery work when it comes to reducing damage by 3?

Is that to a minimum of 1 damage? or can I totally negate damage if it's 3 or less?
>>
File: read the phb.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read the phb.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>54125286
Well, it has no mention of a minimum anywhere, therefore the answer must be "who knows?"

Maybe try tweeting Crawford? He loves clarifying rules.
>>
>>54125542
I take it this is a sarcastic answer, I'll go ask on the dnd subreddit, cheers kid.
>>
>>54125558
There's no minimum, it can totally nullify damage.
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 2, 2, 1, 4, 2, 5, 4, 6, 1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 5, 6, 6 = 61 (18d6)

3d6 down the line, boiz
>>
>>54125780

STR 12
DEX 7
CON 11
INT 10
WIS 4
CHA 17

Could make for a clueless paladin or brutish bard.
>>
>>54118867
If i were you i'd have a little race/culture conflict
all the races being friendly and on the same level is a fictional progressive utopia
I'm not even a /pol/tard and that would hurt my immersion
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 5, 3, 5, 4, 5, 4, 2 = 60 (18d6)

>>54125780
Is it suffering time again?
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 5, 4, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 1, 2 = 57 (18d6)

>>54125780
oh boy
>>
Is Sentinel as good as it seems for a Rogue?
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 5, 1, 4, 1, 1, 6, 6, 4, 5, 1, 4, 5, 5, 1, 4, 5 = 62 (18d6)

>>54125780

let's see...
>>
Rolled 2, 5, 5, 1, 2, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5, 1, 1, 6, 5, 4, 6, 1 = 61 (18d6)

>>54125780
guess its that time
>>
>>54125953
STR 3
DEX 9
CON 15
INT 5
WIS 16
CHA 9

What the fuck
>>
can anyone recommend a class to pick for halfling? i dont like playing rogues, and my friend wanted to do bard so i'd like to avoid that too
>>
>>54126011
Extreme min-maxing 3rd-edition druid?
>>
>>54126032
Paladin!

Take the folk hero background and be the plucky protagonist!
>>
>>54125973
The issue is if you want to stick to an enemy for some reason, you generally want to use your reaction to uncanny dodge
>>
>>54125973
So-so.

It doesn't work on allies who also have it, and it's for melee rogues, who are better off hitting with Booming Blade then stepping away.

But more chances to get an out-of-turn SA are always good.

>>54126032
Battle Master with Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.
>>
>>54126032
Warlock or Sorcerer.
>>
>>54126011
Either an old person, or a sick kid. Play a druid.
>>
>>54126032
Baring Bards and Rogues, Halflings can have the stat increases across them to make good.

Clerics.
Druids.
Fighters.
Monks.
Paladins.
Rangers.
Sorcerers.
And Warlocks.

I'd recommend a Halfling Death Cleric. They've got one of the only good Death gods.
>>
Rolled 2, 5, 6, 4, 5, 2, 2, 2, 5, 5, 6, 2, 2, 6, 3, 2, 2, 4 = 65 (18d6)

>>54125780
If I get at least one 15+, I'll roll next game
>>
>>54126146
>old person, or a sick kid
>CON 15
>>
>>54126165
>>54126146
Healthy old person. They can tough out diseases, but they're too frail to actually carry anything.
>>
>>54126151
Isn't Grave better for good death clerics?
>>
Rolled 5, 6, 4, 5, 4, 4, 4, 2, 4, 2, 5, 5, 3, 6, 6, 3, 2, 4 = 74 (18d6)

>>54125780
This time I will get good stats
>>
>>54126226

War Cleric I guess
>>
>>54126201
Yeah but it's abilities are boring. Plus the heavy armour's wasted compared to martial weapons. There's nothing inherently evil with the Death Cleric, unlike Oathbreaker who gives the Undead and Fiend damage boost.

Really the difference between the two is Grave is more focused on killing Undead, whereas Death is just... Death.
>>
>>54126201
good death deities*
>>
>>54126032

Be a UA Ranger Revised Beastmaster and keep in kind that certain animal companions are definitely strong enough to carry you into battle.
>>
>>54126032
Barbarian, levelling into rogue after level 5. You're not really a traditional rogue in that way.

Ranged fighter.

Or, honestly, any fucking class at all that isn't paladin works, and even then you could make paladin work. +2dex +1con +poison resistance +lucky is great on anyone.
>>
File: a2.jpg (72KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
a2.jpg
72KB, 512x384px
>>54117301
there's so many options that shouldn't be compatible. i would only allow it as a multiclass to give characters abilities their normal class wouldn't.
For example, the beast form lets you spend 2 psi points to get any of climb speed, fly speed, swim speed/water breathing, bonus AC, etc. In theory having access to one of these would be cool, but having access to all of them is hardly something you could explain with backstory.
I'm playing an inquisitor (warlock warcaster) in friend's campaign, and i'd love to multiclass to get the inquisitor mystic abilities, but you have to take levels to get psychic points to use abilities. Balance, i get it. but I agree with >>54117631
> It's like they had 5 different people write all the different abilities and threw them together without comparing notes.
is the best description of it i've heard so far

>>54118563
mmm
maybe read some warcraft horde lore? this is a really basic bitch answer but i think that's the fastest route i can think of for non-european high magic. Every race's culture was non-european.

>>54119250
Last week we had to collapse a crypt to stop invaders from the underdark, I eldritch blasted a giant into the crypt, then followed that with a kiss of mephistopheles (warlock invocation that lets you follow an EB with a fireball as a bonus action.) One of my teamates also casted a fireball, and a third used a scroll of fireball we had from before.
Had to finish it off but the crypt collapsed anyway.

>>54119840
agreed, I wanted to play a barbarian who was a slave sacrificed by his owners to stop a blizzard, but instead made a pact with the ice devil for his freedom. admittedly cha isn't that important for a bladelock, but it's still annoying. I would allow players to change their casting stat if they gave a sufficiently good reason (which wouldn't be hard for warlocks, considering CHA makes hardly any sense).
>>
File: 1466092534737.png (191KB, 640x645px) Image search: [Google]
1466092534737.png
191KB, 640x645px
How strict are you with switching weapons during battle?

By RAW its

>Free action to sheathe OR draw a weapon
>Full action to sheathe or draw another

Obviously this is so you can run into combat and draw a sword.

Think about all the times that fighter or paladin with a sword and shield says

>I throw 2 javelins

or

>I switch from my longbow to my rapier
>>
>>54127223
You could always drop the weapon that you're holding and draw a different one.
>>
File: 1477889281907.jpg (236KB, 1440x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1477889281907.jpg
236KB, 1440x1414px
>>54119283
>The father sees his innocent and gentle little girl
>Everyone else sees a monster covered in blood
>The truth is, vampires lose their soul, his daughter died many years ago, whats left is just manipulating him for evil
>>
>>54117269
why isnt the 5eg discord link in the op? what happened?
>>
I'm thinking of making a forest-fire based land for my land circle druid. What would be good circle spells? How would I space them out properly?
>>
>>54127273
Why haven't you fellated a shotgun barrel and pulled the trigger yet? What happened?
>>
>>54127247
>Dropping your weapon

Still comes under free interaction with an object as part of your movement.

Still an action to draw another.
>>
>>54127273
People on 4chan get upset when people talk about it. The Discord remains its own thing anyway, plenty of 5e talk and file sharing and shit. https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>54127300
Stop linking the fucking discord and let it die ffs what the shit is wrong with you
>>
>>54127310
>ffs
>>
>>54127310
I don't care if it gets linked once per thread even, as long as we aren't forced to put it in the OP and pretend it's "official".

>>54127295
Pretty sure dropping shit doesn't count as an action. Where are you getting this ruling from?
>>
>>54127223

Fuck RAW

In Melee, you can swap between melee weapons between attacks if you want, hooray for custom fighting styles (for flavor)

For ranged, if you wanna huck 8 javalins go nuts, as long as you have the attacks (and javelins) for it.

One less thing for me to micromanage, especially considering free and full actions are dead you cheeky poofter.
>>
File: 147121843132.jpg (84KB, 657x658px) Image search: [Google]
147121843132.jpg
84KB, 657x658px
>>54127336
>Pretty sure dropping shit doesn't count as an action.
>I'm interacting with an object
>This isn't an action

Yet again anon, the first time its free, the second time its an "use object action".

>>54127340
>Fuck rules
>Balance means nothing to my houserules
>>
>>54127394
You seem to have a different definition of "interaction" than anybody else I've ever talked to.
>>
File: clear.jpg (68KB, 478x445px) Image search: [Google]
clear.jpg
68KB, 478x445px
>>54127405
A lot of rules are glossed over anon. It used to be a free action in 3.5 as well so people still assume it is.

Because it "makes sense in my head".

But rules as written make it fairly clear.
>>
>>54127418
You still haven't established that dropping something counts as interacting with it. Unless you have something from Sage Advice, we'll have to agree to disagree on that subject.
>>
File: 1374870127392.gif (2MB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
1374870127392.gif
2MB, 400x319px
>>54127455
>You still haven't established that dropping something counts as interacting with it.
>I in some way manipulate my sword
>That doesn't mean I am in fact interacting with it because reasons
>>
File: 1429824295368.jpg (39KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
1429824295368.jpg
39KB, 250x391px
We've all been there before. You need to know where the goblin lair is, and you're holding a knife to a tightly-bound goblin scout's throat. "Tell us where the rest of your tribe is hiding!" you shout, only to have the goblin spit in your face. "I hate to do this," says the player, "but we need to kill him as an example to his friend. We have to find that tribe before they launch their attack."
"Okay," says the DM, "roll to hit."
"Excuse me?" you respond with bewilderment. "I'm holding a knife to his throat. I just... stab."
"Yes," says the DM, "but you can still roll a natural 1."
Shaking your head, you roll your trusty d20. Lo and behold, it is not a natural 1. Fan-fucking-tastic.
"Great," says the DM, "now roll damage."
"Ex-fucking-cuse me?" you almost shout. "I'm holding a knife to his carotid artery. That's, like, the most lethal place to stab someone."
"Fair enough," says the DM, "it's an automatic crit."
You are at a loss for words. Since this is not your first time around the block, you know even a critical hit won't do more than 14 damage, and these goblins have class levels. There's no way that'll kill the goblin. But you don't argue with the DM, so you roll the damn 2d4+6.
"Okay, I rolled a 12."
"Great," says the DM, "you stab the goblin in the neck. It is still, uh, alive, I guess. Maybe you missed the artery. You know, maybe you should have let the rogue do it - he would have gotten an automatic sneak attack."
>>
>>54127455
He's making shit up.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/what-are-the-rules-on-dropping-weapons/
>>
>>54127484
>Opening your hand is an action on the same order as drawing a sword
>Speaking sarcastically using greentext will make my point more persuasive
See? I can be a douche too.
Also, >>54127506. So apparently you were sarcastic and also wrong.
>>
>>54117269
>Only playing with a 3 man party with our other friend DM'ing
>One guy suggests changing from once a week to once every other week so he can play in another game.
This is how it ends isn't it?
>>
File: 1348625942015.png (489KB, 656x425px) Image search: [Google]
1348625942015.png
489KB, 656x425px
>>54127506
>>54127538
>When originally the rules were clear
>All those crybabies
>B-but what if i-i drop my sword instead I want to hit that big nasty orc
>Oh ok anons we don't want to punish you too much because this is 5e you can ignore the rules for this
>>
>>54127501
What's the point in rolling if there's nothing to stop you from succeeding?
What the heck could even go wrong on a 1, you miss and try again?

>Executioner puts guy i ngullotine
>Gullotine rolls to attack
>1, it bounces off of his neck and slices the executioner's head off
>>
>>54118266
>>mother is playing a barbarian who was kicked out of her tribe for being "too mean"

this is great
>>
>>54127571
Believe it or not, some people actually play like that.

>>54127544
No, anon. This is how you know it's already ended.
>>
>>54127544
since leaving college and developing a rather full schedule, i find every other week is easier to work for my group and self.

maybe it isn't the death knell?
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>54127501
>This system has coup de grace
>This system is designed to allow you to target specific body parts
>Players attempt to use their out of game knowledge to target "arteries or spines"

I know players like to say shit like "I shoot it in the eye" but if you want to do that you shouldn't be playing dnd.

Other anon is right, there's no point rolling in that situation just let the player speed up the game.

I sure hope you wouldn't cry if an enemy had a knife to your throat and didn't have to roll to hit
>>
>>54127568
I bet you hate the Tome of Battle because it was too "weeaboo"
>>
>>54127568

I'm not the person you're arguing with, but you can sort of see the RAI in action with the Heat Metal spell; no reaction or anything is required for the target to drop the held item, so it's fairly clear that dropping something is a trivial non-action.
>>
>>54121586
Well Wu Jen clan ain't nothing to fuck with.
>>
File: 1492202463730.gif (907KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1492202463730.gif
907KB, 245x245px
I'm >>54118266
Ran the first session today, it went pretty well. I had them all go in for the reward from Kerowyn Hucrele, and the goblin druid was asked to investigate the source of the magic apples. My brother understands the rules for the most part; my mom and dad get that they roll a d20 for almost everything but beyond that it's questionable. I leveled them to 2 at the end of the session. My brother is kind of playing chaotic asshole but he's come up with good plans as well (pretended to be one of the goblins that lived in the citadel with 2 human prisoners to get through).
>>
Has anybody ever DM'd for only 3 players?

I've been DMing for a couple years now and have always done it for about 4-7 players. These 3 are completely new to the game but are eager to play.

It feels small but I imagine 3 is better than 7.
>>
>>54127611
I think the carotid artery comment was meant less as a called shot and more as a "give me a fucking break why should I be rolling right now?"
In fact I know it was because I'm the one who wrote it
>>
>>54127657
3 is way better than 7. the game will progress much faster because there is less inter-party discussion and there are less things to cover in combat.

3 is also easier to cater directly to; fewer people to make shine or feature their backstories.

i really prefer 3 to almost any other party size.
>>
>>54127657
I've never DM'd one but I have played in 3 player games. Wasn't much different than with 4 but it was definitely the bare minimum.
>>
>>54127657
I've dm'd for two. It goes a lot faster and obviously has 100% player interaction.

Don't forget to consider balance.
>>
>>54127657
Gets harder to cover all the bases. Unless you have 3 players who are all excited about completely different things in combat, you'll have overlap and thus you'll have things missing (especially healing and tanking).
It is by no means non-viable, but it takes special encounters being designed for the party in many cases.
>>
>>54127657
Doing that right now, actually, and they're all new, too.

It's pretty easy, since you can get away with flubbing a bit more than with experienced players, but at the same time you have to account for not having enough people to fill every role. For instance, my players are a Barbarian, a Rogue, and a Spell-less Ranger (Yeah I gave them UA classes right out the gate, fuck you fight me), which means no healing at all. All it really changes is that I add health potions and Wands of Cure Wounds to the normal loot. So to sum up, it's easy, just plan around whatever aspect your party is missing, be it ranged, front-line, magic or healing.
>>
>>54127611
Hey faggot, if I wasn't able to fight back, at all, then I wouldn't fucking mind. Because the alternative would my character set up to be executed, and watch the GM roll a million times to make sure he not only hit, but also how much damage he did, until he finally managed to bring my Barbarian down to 0.

That's like the most anti climactic thing ever.
>Insert long and defiant speech.
>be set up for execution
>8 hits to the neck later
>Okay, I am almost at 80% HP.
>Would you please just hurry up? Get some help, maybe? This is kinda embarrassing.
>Natural one
>he chops off his own foot, limps away and is given help
>You still lie there, wondering how this all happened, and wondering what fun adventures await as you lie here, and these fucking peasants try to end your life.
>next one steps up, grabs the huge weapon meant for a switch decapitation.
>Watch the foot please.
>>
>>54127727
Same guy but this reminds me of the other game I am running.

6 players, but only one character who can heal or bring someone back to life, with the latter not even available yet.

>Storm Herald Barbarian
>Assassin Rogue
>Moon Druid (the saving grace of player deaths)
>Evocation Wizard
>Monster Hunter Fighter
>Beast Conclave Ranger

Dios mios they're in a heap of trouble if their Moon Drood goes down.
>>
I want to start using theater of the mind- My players are stuck on using a grid, though. How do I abstract it in a way that they can comprehend? None of the maps I put together look good, and if I really wanted tactical combat, then I'd learn 4e. Combat is fairly stale because nobody tries to do anything cool, so I've begun to have the enemies try.
>>
>>54127501

Cutting someone's throat isn't a binary you-did-it-or-you-didn't affair.

Maybe the goblin twists his neck as you slice him, and he gets a shallow, ragged cut. Maybe you hit the artery, and he's gushing blood, but the wound is shallow enough that he can clamp a hand to the wound and staunch the blood flow enough to fight. Maybe you roll well on the damage roll, and as such take his head clean off. Maybe you deal enough damage to reduce him to 0, and he stays down, but his head is still firmly attached to his neck.

Players have this irritating habit of thinking that because they control what their characters are trying to do, they control how the character goes about doing things. A low INT character isn't going to "invent" gunpowder by mashing together specific rocks you found in the woods. A low CHA character isn't going to read the compelling argument you wrote for him. And if you roll poorly on your coup de grace, your low STR weakling isn't going to be able to take Lord Killrape Soulfucker down without a fight.

If you want to do things in the most efficient manner, back it up with dice rolls or shut the fuck up. Don't lean on realism when you're playing a fucking roleplaying game.
>>
>>54127880
This should not be a 5% chance, and even if it was you should be able to immediately rectify your mistake, unless you're under duress (in which case you probably SHOULD be rolling).
The fact that neck wounds are survivable is not enough reason to make a player roll damage such that there's no chance of success.
>>
File: 1454324869455.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454324869455.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>DM rolls a nat 1 to shoot a bow
>Players: haha does he shoot his friend instead?
>Sure why not, its flavourful and his friend only had 5hp
>Players a roll a nat 1
>Your sword goes wide knicking your friends back they take 1d4 damage
>You lose grip on your sword covered in blood it goes skidding 10feet away
>Your firebolt backfires and explodes in your hand you take the damage instead
>WHOA WTF THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

Why is this allowed?

to make it clear I'm highlighting players complaining when anything bad can happen to them too
>>
>>54127880
well yes, but when you and three other dudes have someone tied down and you're intent on killing them, they're gonna die.
>>
>>54127914
so glad the most my dm does on a crit fail is "the next attack against you has advantage"
>>
My DM just makes crits miss normally.

When I run weapons are usually dropped but bad guys can hurt their friends if it's funny.
>>
File: Ilmater.jpg (54KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ilmater.jpg
54KB, 400x480px
So my friends and I just started playing a new campaign, and I'm wondering about something.
To start off, we're using Roll20 for our combat, maps, and other stuff like that. Our character sheets are also digital. So everyone needs a PC, which outs fine. Unfortunately, the other two players seem to like multitasking a lot. One of them has RuneScape open in another tab, but he just opened it up to set up some stuff for AFKing every once in a while. That's fine, not a big deal. He was into it and really roleplaying and having fun. The other friend decided halfway through to start playing a game as well, and I don't mean like the other person was. He literally was just playing a different game, pausing on his turn to attack and whatever else, then going back to his game. He basically ignored roleplaying completely. When I said I'd appreciate if he'd pay more attention and not get distracted by another game. He got angry and said he was just multitasking and it didn't matter. So I called him a prick and we moved on. I had been drinking, so I was a bit more pissed than I normally would be. He started paying a bit more attention, until close to the end when he just started playing yet again.
Did I overreact? The DM didn't seem to care, so maybe I'm the one being an ass. It just bugs me. We hardly do anything like this, so I wish they'd put 100% attention into the game.
>>
>>54127914
I find just making it a normal miss with a colourful description good. Instead of the Orc narrowly dodging your sword, he completely sidesteps it and you hit the wall.

No mechanical difference, just a description that makes it clear this miss was your character messing up rather then the enemy barely avoiding it.
>>
>>54127628
They're doing sunless citadel, thought I mentioned that in the first post
>>
Would it be viable to play as a Stone Sorcerer that focused almost entirely on buffs/debuffs and utility spells instead of damaging spells? I really want to put that high Constitution to work and maintain concentration like a champ.
>>
>>54128021
No, not at all. Playing games at a table is a different experience, because while phones might be a mere problem, you have to compete with the entire internet for a player's attention. They could literally be doing anything while playing
>>
File: 0012-1277014064719.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
0012-1277014064719.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>>54127880
>A low INT character isn't going to "invent" gunpowder by mashing together specific rocks you found in the woods.

This reminds me of one of my players.

>I want to buy a torch
>But its been hollowed out and I put a pebble in it then Bob casts light on the pebble
>So you want to create a flashlight?
>Yeah!
>Whats your INT?
>8
>...
>>
>>54127872
TotM is a strict downgrade. My group got so much more boring when we did that. No amount of explanation from your side will make them stop being boring.

You are kidding yourself if you think doing this switch will help. Rather you should give them incentives for being creative, and explaining the fight.

For one, I have introduced a way to break out of AoO zones, where being clever, proper timing, and non-obvious disengage methods allows a contest roll to get out.

I also frequently add small amounts of damage to properly explained attacks.

The key is to give out incentives, but never penalize. I know a certain flashy manouvre sounds more difficult than "I hit with my sword", but if you give me disadvantage even once, I can guarantee you that the entire group will stop ever doing it again.

Most of mt players are a lot more creative with a grid, because they knoe exactly where everything is. And, you know, MOVEMENT MATTERS, unlike TotM where you are essentially removing class features related to movement speed.

And that wizard is guaranteed to feel cheated when his fireball arbitrarily can't hit all enemies.
>>
>>54128092
Maintaining Twinned Haste, Hold Monster or Hypnotic Pattern is going to be taking up your concentration and be the only spell you cast all combat.

Don't expect anything different than casting one of those and then spend the rest of your turns doublefiring Firebolt.
>>
>>54128143
That's cleverness though, not specifically int.
Could be played off as a wis thing or something.
>>
So I'm reading through the Dark Arts Player's Companion, and I'm wondering why this spell isn't on the Warlock spell list in it;

>Ichorous Smite
>1st level Necromancy
>Range: Self
>Components: V, S
>Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
>You imbue a weapon with a portion of your life force, expending a number of hit points as you cast the spell. The first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, the attack deals additional necrotic damage equal to 2d4 + the number of hit points spent.
>At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Would you allow a Warlock to learn this spell?
>>
>>54128229
Noooooope.

Not gonna let any class burst harder then a Paladin for a first level slot. Doesn't even have a casting time either.

I really hope you didn't pay for that homebrew.
>>
>>54128021
If I were the DM I'd give him a warning the first time, and a boot the second. I ain't busting my ass for hours so you can show up and ignore me.
>>
>>54127978
>When I run weapons are usually dropped but bad guys can hurt their friends if it's funny.
>This 15th level fighter has a 5% chance to stop his sword every 6 seconds he is in combat
How dors it feel to be such a humongous faggot?

Advantage against you on the next attack sounds reasonable.
>>
>>54128278
Accidently left that out. It's one bonus action.
>>
>>54128288
Technically a 15th level fighter has three 5% chances every 6 seconds. It's pretty retarded.
>>
>>54128216
Sure wisdom is about making connections, not that he had high WIS.

But there's something annoying about players trying to overcome the specific balance of the system by inventing things.
>>
>>54128229
There should be a limit to how much you are able to burn for an attack such as that, the Blood Hunter homebrew has an option similar to this spell.
>>
>>54128229
Holy shit that's atrocious

I think your problem would be me NOT allowing that shit homebrew in the first place..
>>
File: 1387713305322 (1).png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322 (1).png
124KB, 373x344px
>>54128288
Hey its this argument again.
>>
File: IMG_2781.jpg (298KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2781.jpg
298KB, 1024x768px
>>54128320
Idiot savant moment.
Sometimes it takes a simpleton to figure out something because the eggheads overthink it.
But I get you on some level.
>>
>>54128325
Max is 10 for a 1st level slot, increasing by 5 per slot level above.
>>54128329
I get it, you don't like homebrew. Calm down.
>>
>>54128335
And you will keep hearing it every single time you bring up your retarded houserule.
>>
>>54128169
But what other improvements would you make to gridded combat? Flanking is a dumpster fire.
>>
>>54128335
>Okay, I am giving you a fine because you broke the speed limit
>Hey it's this argument again! Xd hehe
This isnt your hugbox, people are going to call out your shitty rulings, especially because they could potentially risk being submitted to those same terrible rules, because some dumb faggot on 4chan thought he was being smart.
>>
>>54128335
Because there's never been a good justification for why the Fighter has a greater chance to drop his weapon when he levels up.

If you can give one then I'd accept your houserule as a houserule, rather then trash.

>>54128365
I feel like you could have something if you make your own system of facing and flanking. Add in the all direction shoves, disarms and maybe a few more actions like that.
>>
>>54128288
Speaking as a faggot, calling this anon a faggot is an insult to the rest of us.
I make my players use their next attack (not action) to recover their weapon, or give them disadvantage on their own next attack, to balance out crits doing extra damage.

>>54128325
I love Matt Mercer but he needs to stick to making Pathfinder homebrews. He clearly doesn't understand the principle design guidelines of 5e.
>>
>>54128354
>I get it, you don't like homebrew. Calm down.
I have seen passable homebrew.

This isnt one of them.
>>
>>54128426
Oh man you sure showed me. Congrats.
>>
>>54128425
>He clearly doesn't understand 5e Principle design.

Explain what's wrong with it?
>>
>>54128200

What about the Smite spells that stone sorcerers get? Or fun toys like Enlarge/Reduce, Invisibility, and naturally, Fly?
>>
>>54128320
>But there's something annoying about players trying to overcome the specific balance of the system by inventing things.

>illuminates a cone instead of a radius
Boy, better fucking watch out! The game may literally snap in two with that one!
>>
I'm running a roll20 game my first mistake with friends, and it moves extremely slow. They want to talk as their characters directly, which isn't bad in itself but really messes with the pacing. They expect most NPCs to give them detailed conversations, when things like "The hunters believe the werewolf ran west" would suffice. Should I change my style or try to work out a compromise?
>>
>>54128452
>hey guy, what do you think about this shitty homebrew?
>It is shit
>OH WOW YOU SURE SHOWED ME
Why the fuck are you asking for people's thoughts, if you only want to hear the positive side of it?

Fuck off back to whatever hugbox you came from.
>>
>>54128587
while it may be difficult, try to have NPCs respond in the same manner as the PC's as much as possible.
>>
>>54128472
I admit I judged that one too hastily because of my previous experience with Mercer's 5e work (the gunslinger, which belongs nowhere near any table I play on). This one is actually pretty legit (with the exception of some terminology like "each end of a quarterstaff," which seems to be carryovers from 3.PF).
Not sure if I'd allow it, but I'll grant that it doesn't disregard 5e too badly.
>>
>>54128512
1. Well, then you aren't really playing the 'non-damaging' game, are you?
2. Situational, but Haste is almost always better as far as buffs go.
>>
>>54128592
Calling something shit with no constructive criticism isn't helpful. So fuck off, dipshit. Your argument about it being better than smite is ridiculous too, seeing as it's weaker and requires you to take a lot of damage to deal damage.
>>
Here's a handy homebrew guide, whether you are making or thinking about using:
If it has more than 2 attacks, is it better than fighter?
If it has two attacks, is it better than Paladin?
If it is a full caster, is it as or more powerful than a wizard?
Does it use terminology that doesn't exist in 5e?
Did you find it on danddwiki?

If the answer to any of those questions is "Yes" it is shit.

Can you find any reason to NOT play this class (when trying to do what this class does)?

If the answer is no, it is shit.

Bonus: If it's a homebrew spell and it does more damage/lasts longer/has a stronger effect than a spell of it's level it is shit
>>
>>54128666
>Your argument about it being better than smite is ridiculous too, seeing as it's weaker and requires you to take a lot of damage to deal damage
>everyone that disagrees with me is the same person.
Piss off. That is only stupid because it lets you start off a fight blowing all but 1 HP to do insane amounts of damage, but it is niche as fuck, and comes at a disadvantage.

The issue is that it completely breaks any sensibility of the spell. You never want a spell that scales off of how much HP you expend. That's stupid, and causes an unnecessary element of imbalance.

If it was like "spend up to x", then sure. But as is, it is just a clusterfuck of burst, only ever a good option when you want to Aluha Ackbar someone.

Tell me: when would you use this ability, and NOT just spend an amount of HP that either brought you to 1, or to another low number that at least let you survive 1 more hit? You wouldn't. That would be a ways of a spell slot. It is an all-or-nothing, which is atrocious design.
>>
How would you feel about changing Mastery of Air's Animate Air from "You summon an Air Elemental" to "You Shapechange into an Air Elemental"?

Seem OP?
>>
>>54128773
after reading >>54128821
i will add one more:
If you can kill a carbon copy of yourself in one round, the homebrew is shit.
>>
>>54128821
The limit is 10. You can spend 10. If you use a higher spell slot, it increases the limit by 5. Wow so game breaking mate, suck my dick and learn to read.
>>
>>54128773
Corrections:
Does it have more than 2 attacks, PERIOD?
Does it have any attack augmentation better than 1d6 per two class levels, FOR ANY ATTACK EVER?
If it is a full caster, is it as or more powerful than a sorcerer/as or more versatile than a wizard?

Everything else is correct.

Bonus: can the power fantasy/archetype be made with a conceivable 2-class multiclass, using existing or even new homebrew archetypes? If "yes," then do that instead.
>>
>>54128661
>Well, then you aren't really playing the 'non-damaging' game, are you?

I consider the Smite spells to be buffs to whatever melee weapon is doing the smiting, buffing the attack damage.

And I know some spells are more situational than Haste, but they're a lot of, well I said it already but, just plain fun. And then there's cantrips like True Strike and Blade Ward, which are nearly useless as is but are can function as prepared reactions with combat being the trigger.
>>
>>54128885
I don't disagree with what you said, but i feel mine cover wider bases, especially the two attack one, because some jackass is going to give some homebrew class two attacks, 7th level spells, a smite ability and d12 hit die.
I was going to say sorcerer initially, but base sorcerer, as is, could probably use a buff. I'll definitely add some of what you said the to list, though.
>>
>>54128933
>7th level spells
Let's add a new rule:
If the class casts spells, does it use a progression other than full or half?
If yes, abort.
I disagree that sorcerers need a buff. What they need is an expanded spell list, because all they're lacking is utility.
>>
>>54128929
Please censor this fun word, when on this board.
>>
>>54128963
So wait, Artificer is shit then?
>>
>>54128641
Sorry to pester you further, but what's wrong with the Gunslinger? Mechanically at least?
>>
>>54128971
It's one of the weaker classes. Really should be half-caster.
>>
>>54128361
>>54128415
How about just having it so that you can drop your weapon only if you have single attacks, and multiattacks have to hit a nat 1 for over 50% of all attacks for it to drop?
>>
>>54128963
>I disagree that sorcerers need a buff. What they need is an expanded spell list, because all they're lacking is utility.
what they REALLY need is a spell list that interacts with their metamagic in a more meaningful way. Spells that are slightly underwelming for their level until metamagic is applied, in which case, they are almost worth a slot or two higher.

>>54128971
>So wait, Artificer is shit then?
as it stands right now? Yes. "Shit" doesn't necessarily means overpowered, but poorly designed. Half the time, when i see homebrew, and it doesn't follow the guidelines above, it actually doesn't even function properly with the normal rules and can't perform what it actually wants to do.
>>
>>54128971
I mean
Yes

>>54128980
The grit system - a resource spent/expended during a battle - is a level of resource management complexity that 5e actively tries to avoid.
Frankly, Pathfinder should never have made the class, but the port definitely shouldn't have happened.
>>
>>54129010
>multiattacks
That doesn't fix the issue of Fighter's Extra Attack though.

I know what you mean though.
>>
Do the UA ranger articles improve the class significantly? Looking at ranger for my backup character if/when my current one bites the bullet, and my DM's been pretty open about allowing supplementary stuff like that.
>>
>>54129029
>Grit System
What's the difference between this and say, Ki, Superiority Dice, or Sorcerery Points?
>>
>>54129064
it brings it up to "Usable", yes.
Ranger still has the problem of not having a lot of terribly useful spells.
>>
>>54129069
All of those recharge on a rest or at the start of battle, never during combat.
>>
>>54129083
You gain your points back on a short rest, and a single point on a critical hit, or kill. Does not seem that complex.

I don't have any issues with the Grit system, my issues stem from the "Drawback" for using the guns. The Luck feat, Portent, and Halflings can easily take over the disadvantage of using a firearm and makes them quite powerful.
>>
>>54128933
Sorc works fine, tho.

4d10+8 every turn at 6th while maintaining a buff or debuff with CON proficiency, AC13+DEX and effectively d8 hp, and a decent spell list for both combat and out of combat options plus the most known cantrips of any class.

If you want to do more with it you take 2-3 levels of Warlock for better damage or 2-3 levels of Paladin for better defenses and gishing.
>>
>>54129143
>Does not seem that complex.
No, but it's a higher level of resource management than that required by literally any other class/archetype feature in the game. Adding complexity to the existing framework is anti-5e.
>>
>>54129176
>If you want to do more with it you take 2-3 levels of Warlock for better damage or 2-3 levels of Paladin for better defenses and gishing.
see, that's entirely the problem.
"Hey, if you want to be even better as this class take some levels in NOT this class."
That and having less spells known than a wizard AND having roughly the same amount of spells per day as a wizard.
>>
>>54129190
Where is that in the DMG/Sage Advice? Where does it say adding an alternative way of gaining a limited resource is "anti-5e"?
>>
>>54128879
You didn't specify that when it was first pointed out you turbofaggot.

Stop acting like a faggot, and people might be more willing to give proper criticism to your dogshit homebrew.
>>
>>54129228
not that anon, but it's been said many times that their design philosophy was to keep things simple in 5e. If the homebrew can't even keep to that principle, that's a huge red flag that the rest of it is also poorly thought out.
>>
>>54129243
Not my fault you can't read the thread. Also, I didn't make that spell. But whatever dude, eat another dick.
>>
>>54129244
Maybe, I'm crazy but it seems simple enough and fits with the design of the game. There are items that have certain effects when targets are killed or critically hit.
>>
>>54129190
Considering it's been used by one of his players for 100+ sessions and tweaked several times during his campaign, I'd argue it has been pretty extensively play tested.

And at least as a viewer of their web show, the gunslinger class doesn't seem too complicated.
>>
Everyone always talks about how amazing Conjure Animals is for a Druid, but I just read Giant Insect. For a 4th level spell I get 10 Giant Centipedes that have a save or 3d6 poison on their attacks. That's kinda fucking amazing from what I can tell.

Also doesn't seem hard to say to the DM I go looking for Centipedes to cast it on when we camp and shove them in my component pouch.
>>
>>54129031
>>54129010
That's better. Makes it unlikely to happen, although I still think it is a bad mechanic to introduce. A natural 1 is just auto-fail, which is literally the opposite of a double damage crit, except you dont actually double the damage on a crit.

Introducing this is a bloat which negatively impacts the game.

Not to mention that it specifically targets martials. If this is the standard ruling, what do you do with monks? What about all spellcasters? Do they drop their focus/material pouch/whatever when they roll a natural 1 to hit?

Just keep that in mind. If I was playing a martial, and you made me drop my weapon on a roll of 1, I would stop the game entirely if you didn't do the same with literally everybody, until you either stopped being a faggot, or you actually introduced it to everyone.

Or I left, of course, some GM are beyond saving, and just want their dick sucked. They can enjoy their shitty crap games where they get to houserule their favourites weeb mages to be the bestest ever.
>>
>>54129270
it's less about "is it hard to understand" and more "Does it jump through more hoops than existing core features?" Which it does.
It's why a lot of those weapon feats they made awhile back for the UA's were pretty bad. They weren't hard to understand, but many simply required way too many "ifs" and "ands". Fell Handed being the greatest example.
>>
>>54129076
Just as a matter of being clear, are we talking about all of the UAs that focus on the ranger, or a single specific one? Cause I've found 4, two of focus on changing ranger's features early on (UA Ranger and UA The Ranger, Revised), while the other two focus on archetypes (UA Ranger & Rogue) and UA Waterborne which includes the Mariner Fighting style.
>>
>>54129256
Wouldn't want to take away your breakfast, faggot.

I don't care if you made it or not, it is still a shitty homebrew, and you asked for thought on it, and you got it. Now you go full defensive mode because *gasp* /5eg/ didn't like a homebrew!

No shit buddy, how fucking newfag are you?
>>
>>54129353
Ranger Revised. All UA's after ranger revised take bot it and the original into account.
>>
>>54129371
great, thanks for that.
>>
>>54129217
I'm not saying being better at the class, I'm saying specializing.

Either option delays your class features (the most important being spell level). Yes, they are worse than wizards at raw spell access and therefore utility (because, let's be real, there are only 1-2 great spells per level that you'll be using consistently), but that's the sacrifice they're making for access to metamagic, which in its most simplistic yet effective application is increasing party DPR.

They're already good at what they do. Want even more ranged damage? Delay class abilities for Sorlock and gain the raw damage output of a fighter. Want better defenses and gish capability? Delay class abilities for paladin proficiencies and smite.

But you don't have to do either to be a "better" sorcerer.
>>
>>54129343
To each his own I guess, I don't see it as a glaring issue if the class was allowed at my table.
>>
>>54129393
but then consider this:
Wizard
>Want even more ranged damage?
Evocation Wizard

>Want better defenses and gish capability?
Abjuration/Bladesinger Wizard

>Want more utility?
Illusion/transmutation Wizard

>Want to be a massive cunt?
Divination Wizard

>Want to be better, overall?
Punch another wizard in the dick and take his shit.
>>
>>54129467
>>Want to be better, overall?
>Punch another wizard in the dick and take his shit.
Hypothetically speaking how many wizards in the same party would it take to just get every spell between leveling up and copying each other's books? I'm guessing you'd really only need two at the most for the worthwhile stuff
>>
>>54129492
For the spells worth getting? Yeah, probably no more than two wizards. Shit, a single wizard usually has more than enough spell diversity for your average campaign. Especially if they ever find or are allowed to purchase spell scrolls, and spells such as Teleport are basically spell-producing spells
>I teleport to Waterdeep, any spell scrolls?
>I teleport to Baldur's Gate...
>teleport to Neverwinter...
>Teleport to...
>Okay, fuck it, I plane shift to The City of Brass
>Okay planeshift to...
>>
>Think of a character that I think would be fun to play
>Can't play it because foreverDM
>Don't want to keep shoving that character into game because it might start feeling forced

I just want to be a PC
>>
>>54129543
Just play solo like that other guy
>>
>>54128641
>each end of a quarterstaff
Doesn't PAM say you hit somebody with the butt end of the polearm?

That's pretty much the same thing
>>
I'm looking through the character sheets archive and can't seem to find one in particular. Is there something like the spellcaster sheet that has attack bonus and save DC on page 1, but with the spaces for weapons and ammo rather than spells?

I guess this would just be more like the regular sheet with a place for spellcaster stats.
>>
>>54129815
>>54129815
>>54129815
Since we're on page 9, new thread.
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.