[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 444
Thread images: 55

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54056399
>>
Repeating my previous question before thread cap.

As an Oath of Edge (Conquest) Paladin, I get Aura of Conquest, which reduces the speed of frightened creatures in my vicinity to 0.

If I frighten a creature, smack it prone with Shield Master shove, does it remain prone since to stand up takes half your movement speed and it's movement speed is 0.
>>
File: 1495718074390.png (809KB, 1024x602px) Image search: [Google]
1495718074390.png
809KB, 1024x602px
I like to use art to inspire my sessions. Usually I find stuff on Artstation, Deviantart and Pixiv. Where else do folks get inspiration for their games?
>>
Reposting here, because I hadn't realized the last thread was about to die.

Anons? Long story short, how would you convert various party members from Baldur's Gate to 5e? What classes would you make them as part of a theoretical rule-conversion from 2e to 5e?

For example:
* Minsc: I would definitely pin this guy as a Berserker Barbarian with Proficiency in Survival and Animal Handling. It matches with his lore and in-game abilities far better than the more "name accurate" Beastmaster Ranger - Boo is more like a familiar than a proper animal companion.

Jan Jansen: Multiclassed Artificer (Gunsmith) and either Wizard (Illusionist) with Proficiency: Sleight of Hand, or Rogue (Arcane Trickster). Gunsmith gives him an excuse for his Flasher-Master-Bruiser Mate, and the other class depends on whether you consider his illusionist spellcasting or his rogue's talents more important.

Anyone else got opinions on the topic? Or should I start my own thread for this kind of thing?
>>
>>54068865
Yes, its stuck cowering on the floor
>>
>>54068865
Yep. That's also why knocking someone to the ground and grappling them works well. They have no movement because if the grapple, so they can't stand up.
>>
File: Bard.jpg (172KB, 991x660px) Image search: [Google]
Bard.jpg
172KB, 991x660px
If i wanted to make a dual wielding magic swordsman, what would be the main differences if i went Valour/Swords Bard vs Bladesinger?
>>
>Start DMing D&D 15 months ago.
>Have two groups
>Just finished running my second campaign
>Have run 83 sessions at last count
>Everyone had a great time
>One of my players is taking over as DM
>Play practice session with him as DM
>He's fantastic
>Can't wait for his campaign to start

This is too much luck for one DM, isn't it? I mean, is this normal?
>>
Why were warlocks, tieflings, drow, dragonborn, and other edgelord shit included in the PHB? Why does D&D encourage you to play a trap? Why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?
>>
One of my PCs took expertise in Thieves' tools and I want to give him chances to use it. Group is heading into the iceberg lair of a dragon, an icy dungeon filled with kobolds and ice trolls. What kind of traps I can put in there?
>>
File: speak with beasts.png (201KB, 383x522px) Image search: [Google]
speak with beasts.png
201KB, 383x522px
>>54069069
Wow, it's almost like you're expected to use some of the stuff in the toolbox to make your own world with your own rules and the PHB is just that toolbox. It's almost like you don't have to use everything and can choose not to use things you don't like.

Yes I know I just took the bait, choke on a dick.
>>
>>54068920
The main difference would be that Bladesinger doesn't use their sword.
>>
>>54068920
Did you want to be a dual wielding full caster or just magical. Because two weapon Paladin or ranger also work extremely well.

If you're heart set on full caster I'd say Valor bard. Very good number of spells that only require a verbal component. Unfortunately Bladesinger isn't a melee wizard, it's a way to get free +5 AC so archers can't hit you all the way in the back.
>>
File: 1496203595612.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496203595612.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>54069069
>warlocks
>edgelord

Sure if you're fucking 13 and play Dark Wizard McDevilpact.

Fey Warlock of Summer court. Go around covered from head to toe in glitter and pixie magic.
>>
>>54069069
>dragonborn
I mean the other stuff you could poorly argue is edgy but why dragonborn?
>>
>>54069148
Icicles tuned to fall from footsteps heavier than kobolds.
Ice floors thick enough for skinny bolds.
Frozen over doors that lead to a seawater filled chute.
>>
How bad is this character concept:
Lizardfolk hunter tuned travelling Gourmand after encounter with Halfling cook taught him that food comes in varieties besides raw meat?
>>
>>54069148
Have ships that have crashed and merged into the iceberg, and then have some cushy loot-filled sections like the Captain's quarters behind locked doors or trapped with typical trap stuff.
>>
File: redmage.gif (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
redmage.gif
19KB, 200x200px
Alright /tg/, i need some advice. Forever DM here, but finally got a chance to game as an adventurer since one of my players decided to DM.

I always had this speshul snowflake character i wanted to try and the DM is ok with it, we are already some sessions deep and everything is going fine. Mostly.

The character is a red mage of sorts, as in final fantasy red mage (DM made a custom bard and everything), and i like to play as a gandalf type character. A wanderer who knows a lot and has strange magical tricks at his disposal.

So i picked up mostly utility spells to give him that 'mystical' fell. Things like speak with animals, see invisibility, detect toughts, decipher language, etc. Thing is, while i do have a few pure combat spells, i kinda fell i am not using all this versatility to my favor.

Does /tg/ knows a way to use those spells in combat? I had some sucess, but mostly are reallly situational.

Also, i have a doublecast class feature. Any nice spell combos you wanna share?
>>
>>54069308
>Fey Warlock of Summer court. Go around covered from head to toe in glitter and pixie magic.

So? That's le quirky XD XD. Even worse than edgy to be honest.
>>
>>54069356
>I am a Dragon descended man of GREAT POWAHHH

Fuck that shit. Why do PCs get to play special snowflake races?
>>
>>54069174
Except if it's in the players handbook, players feel (rightfully) entitled to ha e it. There's a reason they dont put rules for playing as a frost giant PC, in the core phb.
>>
>>54069559
>Dragon descended man
I thought Dragonborn were more like Meat-Warforged designed as soldiers?
>>
>>54069559
Because they're player characters and not npc's?
>>
File: bait the movie.jpg (37KB, 279x414px) Image search: [Google]
bait the movie.jpg
37KB, 279x414px
>>54069570
Have you tried playing with people who are mature enough to actually discuss the tone and feel of the game everyone wants, who could conceivably agree "hey, lets play a game without all the snowflake stuff"?

No, you probably just play with retards on Roll20 who couldn't get IRL games with actual friends.
>>
>>54069550
It was an example of the opposite stereotype being entirely possible. Or if you're too retarded to realize that you could always just go Great Old One tome pact, guy who wanted to be a wizard but was shit at it. Suddenly learned magic one day and is a Warlock now.

Bland middle of the spectrum, neither devilpact McEdgy or Lulz teh randum
>>
>>54069559
It's a fantasy game about playing powerful heroes that can be anything from a knight in shining armor, to a kung-fu fighter with mystical abilities, to a magical musician.

And yet getting to be a dragon-man crosses the line of acceptable breaks from reality?

Get over yourself. Let people enjoy the bizarre and fantastical elements of a magical fantasy setting.
>>
>>54068872
History is always a good shout. I'm basing the BBEG of my campaign's current plotline on link related
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_B%C3%A1thory

Also the setting takes a lot of inspiration from medieval to early modern Eastern Europe
>>
>>54069559
Who says it has to be a snowflake? If its a race then bandits, npcs or even undead of that race can exist.

If a DM has a player be a certain race and they're the only individual of that race the party ever sees for no good good, that's just a lazy DM
>>
How do you implement atmospheric and background music well in your sessions /tg/?
>>
>>54069468
I've seen it posted on 5eg about 5 times now so it isn't very original
>>
>>54069597
Why does that change anything?
>>
>>54069707
An iPod filled with random environmental themed music. My brother used to use those CD's that had the "peaceful" music to help him sleep. Raindrops, ocean swells, forests and night, day, etc.

I ripped other themes, like tavern/bar talk from whatever I could find online. Still haven't found any Cave/Cavern background noises that I like yet.

I'll usually begin the introduction to the area with putting the "Music" on low volume, giving my players a feel for it while I describe what they see, you want your noise to be audible, but not to control the flow of your table.
>>
Why does it seem like every DM is obsessed with doing goblin/kobold/orc campaigns? They're so overdone and boring.
>>
>>54069616
Nice projecting. Trust me, irl players are retards too. I'd rather kill myself than play on roll20.
>>
>>54069644
>muh cthulu

If you're trying to make the class sound better you're not doing a very good job . Thanks for trying though.
>>
File: Shitposting time.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposting time.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>54069808
>complain about a problem with an obvious answer
>get told that answer
> NO UR PROJECTING

Fucking lol.
>>
File: kuotoa[1].jpg (147KB, 804x1324px) Image search: [Google]
kuotoa[1].jpg
147KB, 804x1324px
>>54069787
Kuo-toa are the best early campaigns
>>
>>54069651
>And yet getting to be a dragon-man crosses the line of acceptable breaks from reality?
It has nothing to do with fantasy and everything to do with having taste and a send of aesthetics. Clearly you have neither. But that's okay, I'm sure allowed to play ad one of the motherfucking Power Rangers in your campaign, because its FANTASY and that magic word means I am allowed to play whatever I want.
>>
>>54069777
Do you ever prepare certain songs to be used at certain times? Like you think it just really fits the mood of a scene well?

For example one time my players encountered this huge room, filled to the brim with zombies. But instead of the zombies attacking as normal they started rushing into each other, flesh melting into flesh and creating a huge writhing mass of flesh and limbs, turning it into a boss fight.

I thought this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKQYGIbqBQ
worked really well for building the creepiness of the scene, but in the end up it work as well as I'd hoped
>>
>>54069691
>If a DM has a player be a certain race and they're the only individual of that race the party ever sees for no good good, that's just a lazy DM

Or a DM who doesn't want 30 different races shitting up his world. Middle Earth made do with...what? Four or five common races? And it's one of the best fantasy settings of all time. Certainly better than your kitchen sink Star wars esqur schlock.
>>
>>54069881
*didn't work as well
>>
>>54069839
The obvious answer is to stop putting tieflings and drow in the core book because they at literal fucking demonspawn and do not belong as player races.
>>
>>54069866
>The bait grows stronger.

>>54069884
That's a different argument than what you're quoting.
>>
>>54069903
Yeah, and fuck Merals.
>>
>>54069787
>wah wah wah why doesn't my DM come up with something super original to my entitled ass, I want something breathtakingly creative because nothing else is good enough for me and my drow assassin Eli Darkblade.
>>
File: notice.jpg (31KB, 530x300px) Image search: [Google]
notice.jpg
31KB, 530x300px
>>54069903
>STOP ENJOYING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!
>>
>>54069908
Who?
>>
File: scm_news_1.1.nws_backart1_1_0.jpg (2MB, 1921x3132px) Image search: [Google]
scm_news_1.1.nws_backart1_1_0.jpg
2MB, 1921x3132px
How big should a pirate city that represents a solid threat to large nation's shipping and military via hit and run tactics but not actually able to stand up to a full-on war be?

A hundred people? A thousand people? Ten thousand people?

The entire city is inside a mobile fortress to avoid being found by people who don't like an organized city of pirates existing, so space is at a premium. Going to base it off Kowloon Walled City but inside a massive artifact construct.
>>
>>54069927
>it's the "I like it so it's good" argument
By that logic, FATAL is a masterpiece of game design. And we all know it isn't. So stop using that """argument"""
>>
File: OP IRL.jpg (25KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
OP IRL.jpg
25KB, 665x574px
>>54069933
Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford as the two guys who wrote the 5th Edition rulebooks and basically own DnD at the moment.
>>
File: straw-man.png (321KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
straw-man.png
321KB, 384x384px
>>54069951
>>
>>54069935
What quantifies a large nation? And remember that a pirate city is going to likely have a lot of things outside of pirates - you need to have the basic infrastructure and what not as well. Unless you have Blackbeard the Feared Pirate also happen to be a short order cook when he's not raiding the seas.

>>54069951
>>54069977
>>
>Think about playing a caster
>Ask other people what they are playing
>wild sorcerer, div wizard, tomelock and light cleric
G-guess I'm going frontline!
>>
>>54069986
Probably something on par with early colonial Britain, France, and Spain (Naturally all at war with each other), or Renaissance Italy with it's rival city-states. Still haven't ironed out those details yet.
>>
>>54069069
>Why were warlocks, tieflings, drow, dragonborn, and other edgelord shit included in the PHB?

Because they represent potentially interesting options. It's not like edgy shit is all that out of genre; Conan was a murderous reaver, and Elric was a demon worshiping not-elf with a soul drinking sword, both of them did good and bad.

>Why does D&D encourage you to play a trap?

It encourages you to play someone who doesn't conform to conventional gender identity, not someone who crossdresses for the fetishistic thrill of fooling men.

>Why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?

Souls don't have gender?
>>
>>54069964
>own DnD
might have more than 4 people working on it and more than 3 books a year if that was the case
>>
>>54069730
Huh, ah well.. I'd hit the con cap anyways.
>>
>>54069851
He looks so ready and eager to serve his mysterious and confusing dark God's!
>>
>>54070048
I feel like I should photoshop him with thumbs up
>>
>>54070061
That's what I always think they're doing in that picture.

I like that the Kuo-Toa are fragile but in a dangerous location. It makes it easy to have the danger ramp up after the early adventure or have other forces involved in their activities.

When it's like "yeah goblins are attacking the town" you just have to go like "uh, how come your 15 person militia doesn't just wreck their face?"
>>
>>54069866
>I'm sure allowed to play one of the motherfucking Power Rangers in your campaign

Isn't that kinda what a Monk is already?

Either that or Iron Fist really.
>>
File: 1279165661008.jpg (37KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
1279165661008.jpg
37KB, 600x426px
>>54070048
>>54070061
>>54070109
This was my first thought personally.
>>
>>54068877
I'm interested but unsure how to assist. So far I agree with ideas but it's pretty subjective. Would be cool to see the various iterations of Anomen
>>
>>54070011
Honestly I would say a few hundred people being actual pirates. Hell, if you're talking about an artifact city I would say give them some sort of scrying ability that lets them pick targets. Then you have a relatively small flotilla that is able to apply a lot of pressure to major shipping lanes, because they can have a disproportionate affect.

They shouldn't be some sort of gargantuan city unless you want it to be outright a mini nation - they are threatening because they are highly mobile, able to pick their targets freely, and in the grand scheme of things they are too focused on dealing with the other nations.
>>
File: Iliira.png (536KB, 686x963px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira.png
536KB, 686x963px
>>54069069
Tieflings and drow are only as edgy as you make them. I played a drow who's closest character inspiration was friggin' Autolycus crossed with Lina Inverse. When I requested art for her in the drawthread part of the request was "big eyes; Iliira's lead a happy life with no angst so she shouldn't have the look of perpetual disdain that most drow have."

Drawfag did a fantastic job, too.
>>
>>54069866
Fantasy means unrealistic Magical Things.

Orcs, goblins, witches, wizards, demons, zombies, necromancers, druids, golems, elementals, knights and kings, dungeons, and dragons. Etc.

As long as it's fun and interesting, why deny your players the option?
>>
>>54069935
>How big should a pirate city that represents a solid threat to large nation's shipping and military via hit and run tactics but not actually able to stand up to a full-on war be?

Golden Age of Piracy Caribbean, then? A thousand or two thousand or so people, with one major "pirate city" where half those people live, with the remainder scattered in various outposts throughout the rest of the region. As another Anon pointed out, only a few hundred people need to be actual pirates.
>>
File: 1495591608688.jpg (5KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1495591608688.jpg
5KB, 160x160px
What do you do when you can't think of a character that would fit thematically in the type of game your GM is running?
>>
>>54070267
Find out the theme, find a book or movie that has that theme, rip off a character from that book or movie.

DM's running something Hyborian-esque? I'm rolling up Bronan. Something like Les Mis? then you can call me Jacques Valjaques. Standard FR campaign? Prepare to meet Drizz'l.

Nah, just kidding about that last one.
>>
>>54070267
Ask the DM. Odds are there's at least one type of character he's hoping for anyway
>>
I want to make a warlord. Is valor bard a suitable replacement?
>>
>>54070324
Probably. Paladins are probably also solid for the concept between aura stuff and spells that are basically shooting commands at enemies
>>
>>54066346
>Rogue is a bit better flavor-wise, both for Cunning Action and for the fact that it focuses more on evasion than tanking hits, which is I think what the Bladesinger is about (it has to be with such low HP). 3 levels of Rogue gives you a few extra spell slots and 2d6 SA damage, and eventually you could even go 5 levels of Rogue for Uncanny Dodge.

Uncanny Dodge is not good for Bladesingers because it only lasts against one attack and burns up your Reaction instead of using Shield which lasts the entire round. Instead of dipping Rogue and breaking spell progression and theoretically lose wizard capstones that are extremely valuable to Bladesingers (Like free at will Shield and Misty Step), I would just suggest that he pick up the Mobility Feat.
>>
What kind of armor should an eldritch knight/ storm sorcerer wear both crunch and fluff wise? I was inspire by the Alva armor/desert sorceress hood combo in dark souls 2, but I'm id rather stick with medium armor. Chain shirt then later buy breastplate?
>>
>>54069069
My setting has a dragonborn gerontocracy and a tiefling feudal kingdom modeled after the late-Middle Ages.
>>
>>54069996
Screw party dynamics, play what you want. The cleric can be the 'frontline'
>>
>>54069996
Play a Druid or Bard. Full caster party, lad.
>>
>>54069996
>Needing a frontliner
>Ever
Just go moon druid, it's the tankiest thing on two wheels.
>>
>>54070061
Do it.
>>
>>54070518
>You don't need someone to stop the wizard getting hit
?
>>
>>54070518

I can't hear you over the sound of autistic, terrified screaming caused by sword-and-board Conquest paladins. So much CC.
>>
>>54070735
>what are control spells
Unless your frontliner has Sentinel, what is he even doing to stop someone from running around him and straight to the wizard?
>>
Can i pay 100gp to silver my monk's fists by saying he bough "silver knuckles"
>>
>>54070771
Sure. And if your DM tells you no, tell him some anonymous person on the Internet told you it's okay.
>>
>>54070771
For what reason?
>>
>>54069069
>why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?

It doesn't. It can change your sex. Why? Because it's making you a brand new body that isn't your own, unlike Ressurection, which explicitly remakes your own body. That body's biological sex may not match your previous body.
>>
>>54070771

The time honored monastic tradition of "Eat shit, mother fucker"
>>
>>54070771
Buy 100gp worth of holy water instead because your fists become MAGIC at 6 anyways.

Or 100gp worth of crystal meth.
>>
>>54070771
I'd say yes, but silver is a fairly soft metal. If you roll a natural 1, your silver knuckles break. They can be repaired for 50 gp.

Also those silver knuckles are *per hand*, you'll need to buy them twice to get one for each hand, otherwise I'm going to assume that every even-numbered attack in a turn (2nd, 4th, etc.) isn't silvered.
>>
>>54070850
To punch things that are resistant to non silvered weapons also for shits and giggles
>>
>>54070735
>Wizard
>Letting himself get hit
Nice joke, anon.
Do your wizards dance out into the middle of a fight, waste all their resources and yell 'BEHOLD MY POWER' before getting gangabanged by literally every monster within a mile radius, or do they actually play smart?
There's very few ways to stop someone from attacking your wizard already that can't already be done by the wizard himself.

>>54070761
You still don't need it.
>>
File: Beavis-Toa.jpg (88KB, 370x579px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis-Toa.jpg
88KB, 370x579px
>>54069851

ehheh he he, yeah
>>
>>54070771
>Not taking a vow of poverty
>>
>>54068810
That's right. I smell a combo with destructive wave.
>>
>>54070901
I should make a goblin Butthead.
>>
>>54070875
Because fuck you my goblin monk wants 2 silver knuckles engraved with Bree and Yark
>>
>>54070881
>Also those silver knuckles are *per hand*, you'll need to buy them twice to get one for each hand, otherwise I'm going to assume that every even-numbered attack in a turn (2nd, 4th, etc.) isn't silvered.
Martial Arts isn't dual wielding, there's nothing that says he has to use his off hand or even a hand at all on his bonus action attack.
>>
>>54070399
Crunch: whatever gets you the most AC
Fluff: it's your character, kind of your job to figure that out
>>
>>54070881
It would probably be silvered steel like when fighters silver their sword
>>
File: 1401841474943.jpg (94KB, 1216x449px) Image search: [Google]
1401841474943.jpg
94KB, 1216x449px
>>54070929
It's for my own mental image to work out correctly. 200 gp total isn't that much of an investment for an adventurer, anyway. Unless it is, in which case the PCs really need to stop spending money on imaginary blowjobs.
>>
>>54070761
I can see the value in Conquest Paladin, but a lot of stuff is immune to fear in 5e. Most nonhumanoid enemies above 10
>>
>>54069881
>Do you ever prepare certain songs to be used at certain times? Like you think it just really fits the mood of a scene well?

Yes, I actually rename the "songs" to what I believe fits them the best. "Bar chatter, low. / Outside, Field, Day." things like that.

I needed to rename them so because on the fly, when I'm doing a random encounter, or the players go through a major city, they'll encounter multiple environments in a small amount of time. Not every tavern is loud and obnoxious, nor is every crypt filled with wailing undead.
>>
>>54070908
>not following the rool of kool as your monastic tradition
>>54071004
I was planning to buy 2 anyways anon
>>
>>54070888
If you are mid-level you automatically get magic fists. If you are low-level you would do almost the same damage if you silvered a spear and then burned Ki defensively.

I mean, if you want the visuals, there's nothing wrong with saying your fists start to take a silvery sheen once you hit 6th level.
>>
>>54070881
A silvered weapon isnt actually made of silver. It's more like a coating or tempering process.
>>
>>54069977
Not an argument.
>>
>tfw we created a gulag in our game
City-building campaigns are fun!
>>
>>54070238
>As long as it's fun and interesting, why deny your players the option?

Because its not fun or interesting. Also "fun" is not a good reason to do something not is it valid in a discussion of game design because it is a subjective measure. Thanks for showing You kno2 nothing about games, please stop posting now.
>>
What is the point of stone sorcerer? It seems like it's a sorcerer that is supposed to be played as a bad paladin
>>
>>54071074
Everyone realized you were a faggot and stopped replying, as if I need to actually spell this out.

Yeah, I'm also taking the bait, but only this one time on the likely chance you really ARE too retarded to see it.
>>
File: IMG_0820.jpg (109KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0820.jpg
109KB, 488x516px
>>54071100
>>
File: 1493098944899.jpg (39KB, 478x317px) Image search: [Google]
1493098944899.jpg
39KB, 478x317px
>>54071105
Welcome to every non-paladin class that tried to combine swords and magic, because the retard weeaboos keep begging for more magical swordsmen and expecting them to be as good at magic as wizards and as good at melee as fighters so they're never satisfied even though Paladin has been an amazing magical swordsman from the start.
>>
>>54071138
So the power of god is stronger than any crappy arcane imitation
>>
File: something like that.jpg (23KB, 223x224px) Image search: [Google]
something like that.jpg
23KB, 223x224px
>>54071149
There's nothing stopping you from playing one as an Arcane caster, since the Arcane/Divine divide doesn't really exist in any mechanical form in 5e.
>>
>>54071138
I know this is a 5e thread, but wizards knows (sonewhere) how to make a good spellsword archetype. They had 3 or 4 of them in 4e.

Sure mechanically they wouldn't be able to be ported over 1:1 but Hexblade Warlock UA is a pretty solid first step to melee casters that aren't awful. Like the in question stone sorcerer
>>
>>54071192
>thinking of the entire game as solely mechanical
Anon youre better than this
>>
>>54071203
Too bad the Hexblade is a tryhard wana-be Paladin that lifts a bunch of the Paladin's features then fails to use them as effectively as the actual paladin while being tied to the weaker lower hit-dice and heavily limited spell-slot chasis of the Warlock. Color me unimpressed.
>>
>>54071138
An Arcane Oath mite b cool, Oath of Knowledge or whatever based off Arcana Cleric. Shield and Magic Missile come to mind for the level 1 spells.
>>
>>54071262
I mean all I said was it's a good first step. I know Hexblade isn't nearly as good as a Paladin at being a spellsword. It's just a decent first step in the right direction
>>
>>54071149
More that the power of a GOD is stronger than some crappy demon/fey/whatever Warlock patron.
>>
File: IMG_2894.jpg (104KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2894.jpg
104KB, 630x630px
>>54071100
Forgive me.

I'll be over here enjoying my BADWRONGFUN.
>>
>>54069489
detect thoughts might help you glean where someone might attack your group, see invisibility is an obvious combat utility, speak with animals might be able to help you track enemies or find out where they are coming from.

For the most part if you have a couple combat spells you are all set up.
>>
Does a cleric of death have to be evil?
>>
>>54071399
No, they can be lawful good if you want :^)
>>
>>54071399
No.

The only thing in the game that "has" to be evil is Oathbreaker, and that's more just because the DMG classes were written by different niggas than the PHB ones, you can tell just by looking at the grammar.
>>
>>54071399
It probably helps, but there's no hard requirement.

Unearthed Arcana at some point released a Grave domain that might be better for neutral or good clerics of death gods, however.
>>
>>54071138
The issue is that there's a lot of baggage in 5e, which wants to be simple and streamlined but keeps 3 classes competing for the spot of "strong melee dude" and 2 classes which are wizard and wizard jr, and also cleric and cleric jr, then the bard stepping on everyone's toes but especially the rogue from the side. If the system was simpler, someone who wanted a gish would do a fighter/wizard multiclass and that would be end of story. If the system was more complex, we could see more optioms like in 4e.
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>54071138
Or you know, just play a Psychic-Type Poke- err Mystic, who are as good at if not better at EVERYTHING in the game than EVERY existing class, at least until mid-level when the full casters start to outstrip them.
>>
>>54071436
Was thinking Talona; which I don't think would work with grave, but it seems hard to justify making a follower of her non-evil
>>
>>54069787
Good level spread for groups that can't keep a game going past level 5.
>>
>>54071419
What if you're an oathbreaker but the oath you broke was the oath of conquest?
>>
>>54070179
>>54070254
Yeah I'm thinking maybe 3000 total people, with 1000 people as pirates/mercenaries- however many don't all do it full time, some just do it once a year or so, while others are more like professional mercenaries.

Something like
>~600 full time mercenaries/pirates, split up into 4 main "clans" or whatever you'd want to call them, with several smaller companies/small fleets vying for power
>~300 who sign on for temporary work with one of the clans off and on depending on season

And for "government", it's basically something along the lines of New Vegas's "distant Despot (SUPER LICH) who delegates the actual ruling to "bosses", they generally don't care what you do but you better hope you don't get on his bad side"

It'd be a bit of an impractical number for a normal city, however in this case the people are let in the city specifically to fuck with Country X, which SUPER LICH has beef with. People who aren't of value to him/pay their rent get the boot.

The idea is that it's a big hub city with enough variety for PCs to have any background they want, while having a ton of colorful NPCs to illustrate that the PCs aren't special for being crazy motherfuckers in combat who can suplex a dragon or social outcasts from normal society like clanless Hobgoblins.
>>
>>54071105
It's a call back to the 4e Swordmage, which was fun as hell.

>>54071138
Balanced and worthwhile Fighter/Mages come down to a few philosophies:
>Have someone fight like a martial, but throw around some utility magic outside the combat pillar.
Ex: Elric, Link, AD&D Fighter/Mages
5e fails at this because it pidgeon holes 1/3rd casters away from utility magic

>Have someone fight like a martial but occasionally throw an elemental attack spell against mobs or against elemental weaknesses or against physical enemies. Very little utility but when they cast a fireball they mean it.
Ex. Magic Knight Rayearth, Kingdom Hearts,
5e fails at this because attack magic doesn't scale worth a damn for hybrids except for cantrips.

>Have someone fight like a martial and merge magic into their physical attacks
Ex. Exalted, "Weaboos"
5e does this with Paladins, Arcane Archers, and sort of does it with SCAG cantrips but they are still clumsy.

>Have someone fight like a martial and do damage and utility like a spellcaster but sacrifice defenses or maneuvers
Ex. 0D&D Elves, AD&D light armored Fighter/Mages, actual "Gishes"
5e sort of does this with the Ranger.

>Have someone cast like a spellcaster but occasionally buff their fighting ability with magic
Ex Aqua, 3.x CoDzilla
5e does this with Clerics, Bladelocks, Bladesingers, Valor Bards, Stone Sorcerers...

So people who keep wanting gishes are the people who keep wanting more gishes of types 1 and 2, and 4, and 5e only gives them more of 5 and to a thematically limited extent 3.
>>
>>54069935
Read red sails under red skies
>>
File: sand pirates.jpg (26KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
sand pirates.jpg
26KB, 600x337px
>>54071761
I did actually, though in this case it's based more off these crazy assholes. That book did help spark inspiration for the leadership a bit though.

Did I mention they're sand pirates stealing sand ships?
>>
>>54071757
>which was fun as hell.
How similar is it? It seems like the intention of stone sorcerer is to either Smite+BB/GFB or quicken for two BB/GFB
>>
Can I play an Archfey Bladelock and meaningfully contribute to a party? Assuming the 4 basic roles (meatshield/trapfinder/blaster/healer) are already filled.

Also, do you think the content in Xanathar's Guide will help this particular character setup when it comes out?
>>
>>54071138
The problem with paladins is that they come loaded with a built in personality and it constrains options. This is a general problem with divine classes really.
>>
>>54071225
But it is.
>>
File: Every 5e warlock ever.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Every 5e warlock ever.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>54071915
Funny, this is what alot of people LIKE about Warlocks.
But Warlocks don't have any options except "spam Eldritch Blast" every turn, and maybe blow their two actual spell slots on Armor of Agathys and Hex while forcing the party to rest for an hour after every combat encounter.
>>
>>54069884
>Uses LotR as his example against snowflakes
lol
>>
>>54071948
It's what a lot of people like about paladins too. It's just what makes them ill-suited to a concept as generic as fighter-mage. It's also why we've seen countless iterations of that basic theme when the cleric was essentially that with healing; the built in "job" of being a cleric limited concepts.
>>
>>54071623
Just remove the alignment stuff from oathbreaker. Alignment restrictions were and will always be a terrible idea
>>
>>54071930
But is roleplay for the sake of roleplay mechanical?
>>
On discussion of banned or disallowed races, this recently happened in my Campaign.

The DM had us creating Good-Aligned potential plot NPC's for future events, with the reward of an inspiration token if he liked the NPCs.

He stated in his guidelines that he didn't want Kenku and that they are extinct in our Faerun.

I asked him why, without having the intention of introducing a Kenku NPC, and he stated that it just makes it easier to not have to introduce the ideology of the Kenku species into our campaign. That it makes it more simple and easier to handle.

I don't think it's always about a DM/GM hating a particular Species, Anons, they just like simplifying their shit.
>>
>>54072179
No, but it has nothing to do with the game itself. The fluff of the game is essentially window dressing and can even wind up as an obfuscation.
>>
File: 1497173611677.png (374KB, 514x945px) Image search: [Google]
1497173611677.png
374KB, 514x945px
>>54070771
>>
>>54072209
>RPG
>Role Playing Game
anon you aren't a power gamer are you
>>
>>54068920
You'd enjoy bard. You won't enjoy Bladesinger.
>>
>>54072232
Not particularly, but my experience with effects-based systems has left me little concern with built in fluff. I care little for what the designers say something is and instead ask myself what it could be.
>>
How can 5e be so good? I dont think they will ever release a better game
>>
Remember how 4e had three player's handbooks? How would you react to a 5e player's handbook 2?
>>
>>54072364
6e will probably be on par with current piazo in terms of political stuff
>>
>>54072422
>>>/pol/
>>
>>54072364
5e feels like the edition they're gonna settle on for a loooong time.
>>
>>54072442
>le pol boogeyman
You're really quick to judge senpai
>>
>>54072422
What do you mean by political stuff?
>>
>>54069884
Then DM and tell your players they can only play what you say they can. If you get some betas who are ok with that, fine. If not, let people have fun.
>>
File: BEGONE WITH YOUR OFFTOPIC SHIT.jpg (88KB, 399x486px) Image search: [Google]
BEGONE WITH YOUR OFFTOPIC SHIT.jpg
88KB, 399x486px
>>54072457 >>54072456 >>54072442 >>54072422
>>>anywherebuthere
>>
>>54072364
If Mearls gets his way, they won't--they'll just keep adding onto 5e, releasing a backwards-compatible refresh of the core rules several years down the line.
>>
>>54069935
Depends on the nation's population. The british had like 50,000 sailors in the 1800s, so 10,000 pirates would be a threat to the country and trade routes, but could still be destroyed in actual combat
>>
>>54072516
Is this a bad thing?
>>
>>54071801
Swordmage's mark was either a teleport->attack or a damage ward like the Abjurationist. Stone Sorcerer combines those two, but at level 6 instead of level 1. Sword Mage also had a personal shielding magic, which Stone Sorcs.

So the baseline features are pretty similar but you are substituting smites and SCAG cantrips for Daily abilities that blurred magic and swordsmanship and that resembled Limit Breaks.
>>
>>54072415
happy if it isnt shit, disappointed that they spent time on it if it is.
>>
>>54070213
nice art
>>
What happens if you break your oath but aren't evil aligned and therefore can't become an oathbreaker?
>>
>>54072541
Nope. I've played all of the editions at some point, and I've got to say that 5e feels like the most streamlined and beginner friendly while still leaving room for munchkinry and power builds. 5E feels like it pleases most people.
>>
>>54072583

Take up Oath of Treachery to meet your goals.
>>
>>54072541
I don't think it is, personally. It's a more modern take to RPGs, if you can keep things backwards-compatible while expanding its capabilities. And unlike PF, which has done this with different rulesets like Mythic and Unchained or whatever, 5e has a solid base to build off of.
>>
>>54069881
I did an astral plane sidequest for one of my players char devlopment that was almost all colored pool puzzles except a reskinned gorgon fight at the end
all i played was portal music
>>
>>54072593
>I've played all of the editions
R8 them all
>>
>>54072586
So I am not a fan of 5E and in one of the "when did you realize DnD was shit threads" an anon suggested I ask the 5E general what they like about 5E, I don't want start shit but I sincerely don't like 5E, why does it appeal to you guys?
>>
>>54072541
Not really. 5e isn't ad&d or 3.5, it's not fundamentally broken or messy. There's lots of room for improvement, but nothing that can't be done via updated classes or monsters. There's nothing that can't be fixed without breaking compatibility.
>>
>>54072583
Have you tried reading the phb?
>>
>>54072728

Better yet, Anon, why don't you tell us why you don't like it?
>>
>>54072170
>Removing alignment from oathbreaker when oathbreaker buffs fiends and undead
>>
>>54072752
I can't read.
>>
>>54070213
My first 5e character was a drow rogue who was mentally retarded, I had fun with it
>>54072804
Well than how did you know what he had typed anon :^)
>>
File: 1487967931407.png (830KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487967931407.png
830KB, 1200x800px
>>54072541
Depends, if they reach the point where the have so many many splatbooks by different authors with so many years between them even Wotc themselves can't keep track of interaction it can be.

Or visually, when A turns to B
>>
>>54072821
I convert the text on screen into an automated voice.
>>
>>54072795

In that case, why don't Necromancers and Death Clerics have allignment restrictions?
>>
File: Iliira Color.png (1MB, 726x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira Color.png
1MB, 726x1024px
>>54072821
Going by the old standby of "Intelligence is just IQ with the last number chopped off", Iliira was actually smarter than me - INT 15, so an IQ of 150, whereas my IQ is 127, so INT 12 (which, while above average, is not notably so).

However, her WISDOM was 9. Actually it was 10, but I was specifically trying to play the classic scoundrel/thief archetype with her, so I actually asked my DM if I could lower it to 9, and he said yes. And no, I didn't ask for anything in return, it was just a stat decrease.
>>
>>54072728
It scratches the very specific itch of adventuring in a way few if any other games does.
>>
>>54072832
Dunno I kinda like the look of B.
>>
>>54072872
Necromancers have much more control and aren't required to animate dead, and using animate dead itself isn't evil.
Death clerics don't have anything distinctly evil on them from what I'm seeing.

Giving fiends and undead a power boost to hurt people more whether you want to or not is pretty evil.
>>
>>54072776
I don't like how much of an emphasis there is on magic even if caster supremacy isn't nearly as much of a problem as 3.pf, it just doesn't work for settings with different magic systems because it's so ingrained,I don't like how pared down the skill system is compared to I feel like martial are boring to play since often in my experience their options boil down to which target to hit or whether or not to use a resource to deal more damage or apply a special effect, I also don't like that people treat 5e as a universal system when it's build around very specific assumptions, which honestly is more a problem with people than the game, but my biggest problem is that there isn't anything in the system that I really like, nothing sticks out to me
>>
>>54072889
>Scoundrel/thief
>Needs wisdom below 10
Maybe only if they don't actually have a proper reason for thievery and they do it simply because they can't comprehend society.
>>
>>54072964
You're going to need to rewrite this so it's actually readable.
>>
Can kenku dream?
>>
>>54073017
B-but linebreaks is reddit posting!
>>
File: Kenku 2.jpg (70KB, 665x900px) Image search: [Google]
Kenku 2.jpg
70KB, 665x900px
>>54073043
Probably.
>>
>>54073043
In a way, though like their speech it's not original, so pieced together from jumbled memories rather than the fluid state we experience.

The worst part is flying, even in dream it's beyond them and they've never done it, so can never dream of it, evne in dream they can only envy others.
>>
>>54073017
I don't like how much of an emphasis there is on magic even if caster supremacy isn't nearly as much of a problem as 3.pf, it just doesn't work for settings with different magic systems because it's so ingrained
I don't like how pared down the skill system is
I feel like martial are boring to play since often in my experience their options boil down to which target to hit or whether or not to use a resource to deal more damage or apply a special effect
I also don't like that people treat 5e as a universal system when it's build around very specific assumptions, which honestly is more a problem with people than the game
but my biggest problem is that there isn't anything in the system that I really like, nothing sticks out to me
>>
>>54068802
Anyone else have houserules to counteract how stupidly non-lethal 5e is?

Our DM just introduced a form of rez sickness that takes 24 hours to go away. This was because our party "healer" would just sit on all of his heals until people got downed and he'd just heal them to 1 hp over and over and over, abusing the shit out of the rules.

He has also mentioned having a 3 death limit on characters. Thoughts?
>>
>>54073172
>Martial is boring to play
Clearly you've never played Liftbearian
>>
>>54072892
I can definitely see that, the only thing I wish 5e had for a campaign like that is a more complex combat system
>>
>>54072964
It sounds like it's just not the system for you. All your observations are, to one degree or another, true. You're very right that it is not the game for every setting, a problem any popular system will face.

But hey, thanks for level headed about the matter. May you enjoy whatever system you do.
>>
>>54073194
Is that the build specialized in grappling? It seems like a gimmick to me that and it only introduces one more option in combat, grappling
>>
>>54073239
Thanks for being so civil, the whole anti and pro DnD trolling has been annoying
>>
Is knowledge cleric decent?
>>
>>54073194
I have only ever played martials. I have always considered casters to be for players too boring and uncreative to make the game interesting themselves.

However, I played a level 9 druid last night and had more fun than I have in a LONG time. There's just something awesome about having a spell for every possible scenario, meanwhile everyone else has to play mother may I.
>>
>>54072964
>I don't like how much of an emphasis there is on magic, even if caster supremacy isn't nearly as much of a problem as 3.pf, it just doesn't work for settings with different magic systems because it's so ingrained, I don't like how pared down the skill system is in comparison.
That's D&D, Personally I hope for a Dragonlance or Dark sun Supplement as I prefer magic to be mind-blowing even if it's "just" a fireball or raise undead.

>I feel like martials are boring to play, since often in my experience their options boil down to which target to hit or whether or not to use a resource to deal more damage or apply a special effect.
This I very much agree with, most martials have entirely too few skills, the sword idiot trope is just tiresome.
(though I think EVERY class should get their Iconic skill for free)
Maybe let classes chose between a skill and a pure power boost at creation.

>I also don't like that people treat 5e as a universal system when it's built around very specific assumptions, which honestly is more a problem with people than the game.
I don't know anyone that does that, 5'e is a character-creation and dungeons crawler system.

>But my biggest problem is that there isn't anything in the system that I really like, nothing sticks out to me.
Then it's just not for you, load of other systems.
>>
>>54070518
Start vhuman and grab sentinel
So that your dire wolf is punishing and knocking prone anything that dares to attack the squishy squishies
>>
Can I summon giant owls and have the entire party ride on them? And what about giant eagles?
>>
File: mages.png (132KB, 580x400px) Image search: [Google]
mages.png
132KB, 580x400px
>>54073315
Until you realize that you're literally the only one having fun, often at everyone else's expense simply by virtue by having so much more agency to affect the plot and situation than they do.
>>
>>54069996
>G-guess I'm going frontline!
War cleric then? Plenty of fine choices, really.
>>
>>54073396
Is caster supremacy that bad in 5E? isn't the gap small enough to be fixable by a good gm?
>>
File: IMG_7050.jpg (21KB, 190x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7050.jpg
21KB, 190x266px
What's the best Elder Scrolls Conversion for 5e? Also monsters?
>>
>>54073340
Or just tell the squishies to stop standing in front of the enemies
>>
File: Wizzerds.png (611KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wizzerds.png
611KB, 1280x720px
>>54073427
Here's the thing. The gap is fixed only in the most superficial way. The introduction of concentration spells means wizards cant be flying, invisible, surrounded by three different barriers, and flanked by an army of summons all at the same time... IN COMBAT.

That's the crux though, the only balancing done to casters was IN COMBAT.

Out of combat casters still have WAYYYY more options for affecting situations and bypassing obstacles than non-casters, by far. A good Wizard can bypass almost every situation you throw at him by mid level simply due to having so many reality-warping "fuck you"s in regards to the rules of reality or the game itself.
>>
>>54073427
In combat, forget about mooks. Every other spell is an aoe that can 1 shot them.

Out of combat, forget about ever having an engaging encounter again without leashing the casters. They have a spell for everything you can imagine and then some.

You have to force them to burn all of their spell slots, then you are allowed to start the session.
>>
>>54070399
I don't know how you could possibly channel the storms without being covered head to toe in metal, if you had the choice.
>>
>>54073427
Wizards in 5e have a massive power gap between them and everything else. Other full casters are still miles ahead of martials, but Wizards stand alone.
>>
>>54073438
What's thee to convert? The races are all pretty well covered if you use Volo's guide and the magic schools line up pretty well. Besides the setting and giving monsters different names you're golden.
>>
File: 1476569655031.png (798KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476569655031.png
798KB, 564x800px
>>54073427
As a GM you can:
Force skill-checks.. but martial get as few skills as casters.
Limit rest opportunities... but martial rely on them about as much as casters

>>54073538
>>
I'm a fucking retard. Everybody point and laugh at me.
>>
>>54073192

I've been considering new rules for my next campaign. The Meat Grinder rules for Tomb of Annihilation sound like they could be interesting, but aside from the DC 15 roll I don't know what else they'll change. What do you think of these rules (not necessarily all at the same time):

- Healing kit check required before spells/potions can heal a PC at 0 hp.

- Level 1 healing spells and basic healing potions can only grant advantage on a death saving throw, OR can only grant a death save success.

- Lowering insant death threshold from negative hp to half (quarter?) of negative hp.

- Mass healing spells/effects can only affect non-incapacitated allies.

Any of those sound viable?
>>
>>54073609
?
>>
Playing a Soul Knife that, after racials and rolling stats and level 4 ASI, ended up with 18 DEX and 18 INT. Which disciplines should I focus on? Right now I have Precognition and Celerity.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
What are some bonuses I can grant my players for resting in more expensive accommodations? They were asking me last session if there's anything they can do in town to gain some minor benefits before entering the wilderness.

I've been thinking about changing the healing rules for long rests.
>Players must still roll HD to heal on long rest, after rest 1/2 spent HD are recovered
Bonuses awarded after resting:
>Poor/Outside: No bonus
>Comfortable/Modest: +1 additional HD
>Wealthy: +2 additional HD
>Aristocratic: +3 additional HD, advantage on Constitution checks and saving throws until next long rest.
>If max HD is exceeded, bonuses count as temporary bonus HD until the next long rest.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54073135
Until the party caster casts fly on them once

If I were a wizard I'd totally just cast fly on kenku all day
>>
File: Magnostatd.jpg (72KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Magnostatd.jpg
72KB, 1024x576px
>>54073587
Here's the thing. At level 5:

A martial can hit stuff one more time per round in combat.

A wizard can fucking FLY.

Now you tell me which of those characters just gained more agency in how they deal with obstacles in the campaign.
>>
Any recommended quality of life homebrew rules for 5e?
>>
What would be better for a thunder/lightning/air focused wizard: a human, or an aasimar?

No other races are in consideration, I figured Aasimar gets wings and radiant damage bonus so it kinda fits the theme, but human just seems more appropriate, I'm not gonna be evil, and I'm trying to be good, but man is it hard to be "good" as a spellcaster.
>>
>>54073617
I really like it, every single one of those, in tandem, seems fair. I would say the instant death threshold at -1/4 is fair, depending on level. Ho bloat on this game is real.

I prefer actual consequences in my games though.
>>
File: balls3.jpg (41KB, 296x497px) Image search: [Google]
balls3.jpg
41KB, 296x497px
>>54073192
Use the Injury and Massive Damage rules in the DMG.

>Fall to 0
>Get Crit
>Get two death save failures

Roll on the injury table.

That should be enough to make combat a little more intense.
>>
>>54073695
Kryx's Saves and Skills.
>>
>>54073675
That was the point I was making, anything you do to the game in general will affects martial's as much as casters, you pretty much have to specifically go after caster's class features in order to affect a change and really, that won't help martial's be ore relevant or fun, it just brings the party as a whole down.
>>
>>54073695

I've been experimenting with my players pre-rolling initiative tables, since it's rare that players will have some dex penalty later, and I hate how initiative slows things down. It works pretty well, I think.
>>
>>54073730
Is there a source for those? All i get a slew of forum profiles and a monk homebrew.
>>
>>54073675
Have you ever seen a game with a magic system where this wasn't a problem? Even in 4e wizards still had more out of combat utility.
>>
>>54073772
Saves: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkWNvU8TD

Skills: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HycOCZrw

His master list: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkZbG-bew
>>
>>54073427
Limit wizards to 2 schools of magic, tops, and say their bodies/mana/whatever adjusts to these two and it makes others harder. (I say two because it will almost be Evocation for one of them, out of combat necessity).

Limit Sorcerers to spells that tie in with their bloodline thematically.

Remove Lore Bards entirely.

Watch as caster classes are STILL wayyy better than Martials.
>>
>>54073812
Thanks, I can't really grasp the site navigation.
>>
>>54073808
Yes, but said games were restricted purely to offensive magic. Systems where you picked an element to specialize in, rather than a school, and the elements were mostly just damage-oriented spells rather than utility.

In DnD terms though, this would mean removing every school of magic except Evocation.
>>
>>54073695
Path of the Enraged Magician that an anon made some time ago
>>
>>54073859
Jesus Christ why even bother with magic then?

I don't play a wizard to do pyrotechnics.
>>
>>54073730
I like his Sorcerer fix and fully bounded accuracy

Kryx is autist tho
>>
>>54073897
What do you mean?

And yes, the Sorc fix is very good.
>>
File: i_hate_this.jpg (9KB, 302x225px) Image search: [Google]
i_hate_this.jpg
9KB, 302x225px
>>54073884
People ask that about Martials in DnD. Why even bother with them?
>>
>>54073903
>What do you mean?
Have you seem his DPR chart?
>>
>>54073930
I must admit my eyes just glaze over and start skimming for a bolded summation.
>>
>>54069468

S'funny, I'm making a Lizardfolk cook too but instead of cooking real food, his lizardfolk heritage simply gives him a broader definition of what constitutes as edible.

Come, fleshfriends! I have prepared a feast of much nutrition that shall be just barely nonlethal for your soft and wimpy stomachs!
>>
>>54069489

You can always just rely on your cantrips for combat, given that they scale up with your level. They won't pack the most punch, but it frees up all your actual spells for utility.
>>
>>54073884
It has a certain appeal for people who want to play in settings where magic can't just say "LOL FUCK THE RULES" to every problem ever, but still want the thrill of blowing apart crowds with an AOE class.
>>
>>54073916
And I don't disagree. But my point is that your never going to get the same utility out of "non-magic dude" because you don't have a blank check of narrative design with them.

I think the big problem is that we've decided "ordinary guy with sword" is an acceptible option, even when most of the mythological characters they were based on tended to be supernatural in some way.
>>
>>54073994
Oh same concept for mine, meat is meat right?
And organic material in general just need sufficient boiled/broiling/grinding to be edible.
>>
>>54074013
Yes but magic being able to do nothing a tank of pressurized petroleum with a heating coil at the end of a hose is lame.

I'd rather magic be limited to platonic mysticism than that crap.
>>
>>54073675
The clearest solution is to give martials bonuses to their jumping ability and the like that lets them imitate flight, but then you get sycophants bitching that you're making the game too 'anime'.
>>
>>54074027

The inspiration for mine is that the DM is running a nautical pirate adventure. My lizard is the galley cook; one of my favorite pirate cliches is that of the crew chef that cooks disgusting meals that trade taste for the ability to stave off scurvy.
>>
So how's Favoured Soul after the changes? I remember it used to be one of the best.
>>
>>54073930
No, I kinda ignore math desu.
>>
>>54073994
Currently playing a Lizardfolk barbarian/rogue who's an expert cook. The party's never eaten better than when he was cooking, but they're always wary to check when he's putting things on the fire to make sure he kept the bits and pieces of humans he collected for himself out of their meals.
>>
>>54074165
God, that's familiar.

I had a barbarian player once who, while defending a town from an orc seige, went off and murdered and orphanage. he kept a bunch of dead kids in a bag of holding. For the next few weeks he prepared all the meals, and none of the players bothered to watch him.

Needless to say the party's paladin was a tad annoyed upon finding out about this.
>>
>>54073587
That image stirs an old memory but I can't grasp it.
What's the picture about?
>>
File: 319749024531873792.png (7KB, 74x96px) Image search: [Google]
319749024531873792.png
7KB, 74x96px
>Curse of Strahd came in

oh boy i cant wait to not run it and just steal everything for my campaign
>>
File: 1494636936972.gif (774KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
1494636936972.gif
774KB, 500x355px
>>54074223
>a tad annoyed
>>
>>54074274
they may have had a fight. the barbarian may have won.

and may have become a villain later
>>
>>54074223
In this sort of situation wouldn't it be appropriate for the party to downright attack the barbarian? At that point, I think forcing everyone's characters to eat dead kids because they don't know it in character is worse than "it's what my character would do"
>>
File: 1467342829701.png (277KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1467342829701.png
277KB, 512x384px
>>54074260
Spellbinder.
Part of the 90's Australian youth adventure wave.

Basically moden kids fall into alternate reality where a class of despots rule the world with static electricity, magnet-powered aircraft and handheld crystal diode radios.
>>
Does anyone have some sort of reference sheet for Cheap items vs Expensive items so I have an idea for how much to charge for shit on the fly?
>>
Martials are fun bcz doing high damage is fun!
>>
Is it (Old Owl) Well or (Old) Owl Well?
I'm translating LMoP to my language.
>>
>>54074362
Huh, that's it. Apparently it aired here in Finland too in 98 so I must have seen some of it and even though I must have been like 7 years old my brain still remembers.
What a strange feeling.
>>
>>54074304
They did once they figured it out. The barbarian was very careful to pass me notes.
>>
>>54074428
sure do, it's called the DMG.
>>
>>54069069
These things are only edgy if you have no imagination. Edgelords certsinly gravitate toward them. Perhaps the phantoms you chase are your own
>>
>>54074449
There was loads back then,
The Twist: lighthouse kids playing scooby doo
The Tribe: the post-apocalyptic lord of the flies set in a mall
The Odyssey where a kid is knocked into a coma and goes to Not! fantasia (technically Canadian but same era.)
>>
File: CIA.jpg (92KB, 516x288px) Image search: [Google]
CIA.jpg
92KB, 516x288px
How do I play as this gentleman in 5e?
>>
>>54074551
20d6 falling damage.
>>
>>54074551
Cast enlarge person and guidance a lot
>>
>>54071031
>Wailing undead

I believe that's called a screamo band.
>>
Wizards are better than lore bards

College of Lore is overrated
>>
Is there ever a reason to pick standard human?
>>
>>54074702
Bards are just as good at controlling, but even better at support and utility. They can even bring back the dead. There's no reason not to play a bard, unless you're going for muh damage and muh fireballs
>>
>>54074437
Whichever you feel sounds cooler
>>
>>54071713
There was an actual pirate city anon,have you thought about looking up Nassau.
>>
>>54074713

I picked a standard human when I was playing a MAD build and DM did Sanity as a stat with a 30 point buy. +7 free stat ups.
>>
R8 my character
>stout halfing barbarian
>lowest int score possible
>max con and dex
>live in bag of holding using necklace of adaptation
>other party member throws bag into combat setting me into a rage.
>burst out from waist up and murder everything.
>hermitcrab.jpg
>>
>>54074817
So wacky and random!
>>
>>54074817
Very good, kind sir, upvoted.

Edit: Thanks for the gold, kind stranger
>>
>>54074817
Maybe it's just my personal experience, but gimmicks revolving around bags of holding just seem really overdone. There's probably a lot of ways to hurt yourself to put you into a rage that don't require magic items
>>
>>54072364
>got into tabletop RPG's recently after wanting to for long time
>only gonna play D&D because I don't want to nerd out
>only gonna play 5e because I don't want to nostalgia nerd out, also its most recent
>everyone shits on D&D and 5e in /tg/ but I love it
>your post bring me hope, as do the replies

THANK YOU
>>
>>54072868
knowing this place I almost want to believe this, that some anon is using programs to voice to text to post here
>>
>>54074702
>https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3s8906/all_core_magical_secrets_picks_for_bard/cwuzq4x/

I respectfully disagree. Lore Bards are great!
>>
>>54072363
>instead ask myself what it could be.
This is honestly the proper mindset to have, as you're not always constrained by the "official" settings.
>>
>>54074720
Wizards spell list is three times larger (and better) than bards list, and wiz know more spells AND cast more each day thanks to arcane recovery

And bards cant attune to a lot of magic items other arcane casters can

>inb4 magical secrets
Only comes at 6th level and it's only two spells
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
>dming party of 5 level 4's
>let them hear through just town rumors that some of the townsfolk may have seen or heard about a vampire nearby!
>the players have no idea how strong a single vampire can be in dnd
>they go out to info crawl on where to find him
>crack the case pretty fast, pinpointing his location
>they are going to hunt him next session

i uh, didn't expect them to latch on that hard. do i make them reap what they sow or tone it down a bit for them? its never tone down,
is it?
>>
>>54073277
Skub arguments shouldn't colour your perception of everyone on this board anon.
>>
>>54075444

Party composition?
>>
>>54075444
The good thing about vampires is they have a shit ton of weaknesses a clever party can exploit, but if you think it was only good decision making that lead them to that point you might want to tone it down a bit
>>
>>54075444
Are they well-prepared? Stakes, silvered weapons, holy water, etc. If so, I'd tone it down somewhat, say it's a new vampire still establishing himself.
If they're just going at it like it was just any monster, I'd drop some hints that it's way above their pay grade but let them get fucked.
>>
>>54075444
Level them up once or twice somehow before facing the vampire, stretch it into a mini-arc. Level 5 is a considerable power boost to the point it's the start of a new "tier" of play in the DMG.
>>
>>54075496
Moon Druid, Monster Hunter Fighter, Totem Barbarian, GOO Warlock, Redemption Paladin.

>>54075502
Yeah, that is true. However, they don't really have any supplies to deal with them. Perhaps create an NPC who may be able to inform them on weaknesses?

>>54075520
As above, nope, they don't have shit. They are hyper underestimating it. Even outside of game when they are just recapping the last session, they seem incredibly confident.

>>54075527
I suppose this is an option as well. Make them run into minions for a bit before getting to him? Could prob use CoS for inspiration on that. A cabal of lycanthropes working for him or something.
>>
>>54069468

Highly unoriginal, but extremely playable.
>>
>>54075583
>monster hunter
You should've told him his character knows a Vampire is no easy picking.
>>
>>54075634
Probably, but he insisted in character creation that he wanted to excel in hunting specifically large beasts and game and leave other things to mystery.

So that got me in a bit of a bind.
>>
>>54075650
Oh, well. Too bad for them I guess.
>>
>>54075583

Save for the Warlock, that looks like a fairly tanky composition. If your party plays it smart, they might be able to take a vampire. At level 5 they would almost certainly beat a vampire.
>>
>>54074106
I'd say rationing our the power of magic users better and ensuring it comes at actual cost and risk might be better.
>>
>>54070308

This, this, x1000 this.
>>
>>54075583
If you want to drive home the fact that they can't deal with that right now you can always have them fight a minion that would provide a decent challenge at their level.

Then have three more appear.
>>
File: JEJ.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
JEJ.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
>>54075759
>Then have three more appear.

Go on.
>>
I'm multiclassing my third level fighter into paladin for the forseeable future because of in character happenings. Am I going to fucking suck?
>>
Where would a guy go about getting some plastic platforms to do simulate height on a battle mat?

I see them in videos and shit every so often but I'm not sure what I would look up. I have lots of flying PC's right now and it would be useful.
>>
>>54075780
No, going two levels of fighter as a 5th level paladin is a pretty good move, so if you just keep going paladin you have your 4 attacks each turn soon
>>
File: weww.png (55KB, 199x178px) Image search: [Google]
weww.png
55KB, 199x178px
>>54075673
So, you feel as if they may beat it. But they probably wont finish it off, eh? It'll probably misty goober out and swear revenge.

Actually, this may make an interesting reoccurring villain.
>>
>>54075780
You're going to lack behind a bit. Not because of multiclassing paladin, but because you aren't a pure paladin which is strictly better than a fighter until 11th level.
>>
>>54075814
>4 attacks each turn soon
I'm not sure if I'm just understanding you wrong or what, but extra attack from different classes doesn't stack
>>
dm's who play music, do you tend to just load up a random playlist of battle/tavern/etc. music or do you like to handpick your songs for specific locations or battles?

i usually do the former, but lately i sort of want songs to stick with areas/villains/such.
>>
>>54075837

If I've learned nothing else over these past two years, it's that action economy trumps everything. That vampire may have an effective 300 or so HP, but 4 really tanky guys beating down on it with a warlock tossing EBs at it? It'll go down. It may knock a couple guys out, but the paladin can bring them back into the fight with a single lay on hands point.
>>
>>54075840
>but because you aren't a pure paladin which is strictly better than a fighter until 11th level.
Fighters are better from first to 5th level

He will only get an extra attack at 8 tho, that sucks
>>
>>54075444
Switch him to a vampire _spawn_. They should be able to take him.
>>
>>54075778
It's fairly straightforward, it usually helps them come to the conclusion that the guy they're dealing with isn't something to take lightly. Do keep in mind that this is supposed to be used sparingly and is meant to show that whoever their facing is still pretty powerful.

For monsters, Armored Vampire spawns should work. Have them fight a couple at first and then add more depending on how strong you want him to feel.
>>
Is it possible to use 5e for urban fantasy?

I know there are better systems for that. But my players only play 5E.
>>
>>54071399

Not at all, only Oathbreaker is alignment locked anymore, and it's not really intended for PCs.

I actually suggested it for an NG cleric and it worked very well for his character design. Severely fun to DM for.
>>
>>54075930
Sure, if you're willing to adjust equipment and treasure more than anything else.
>>
>>54075892

Five vs one vampire spawn would be a complete slaughter. It'd be a joke of an encounter.
>>
>>54075869
Without looking it up, the Paladin gets 2 attacks at level 5 i believe, and the Fighter has action surge, so you can make 4 attacks if you use this, also if you have the spell slots you can divine smite and thunderous smite on some of the attacks, making it so you deal massive damage

taking 2 levels of fighters is a popular multiclass option for paladins i've heard
>>
>>54075957
That's assuming it's a straightforward fight. And that he has no minions whetsoever.
>>
File: 1496649046761.jpg (148KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
1496649046761.jpg
148KB, 623x414px
>>54069996
Valor Bard can be frontline just fine.
>>
>>54075869
>each turn
sorry my mistake
>>
>>54075444
You can always stat up a weaker vampire. It's a little tough to get the balance right with all of it's resistances and regeneration but from experience it is possible.
>>
>>54075979

It's not an assumption, that was what was said. If other factors are thrown in then yes, it would be different, but there would still be no assumptions, if he says what he's throwing in then we know what he's throwing in and can evaluate how well his party could fare against it. Don't insert shit from your own imagination just willy nilly for no reason.
>>
Do many of your libraries have information on Magic Items or spells? I have a whole slew of magic gear that I need to find a location to place hints for.
>>
>>54071623

In my games expect a job offer from the forces of Good. All 4 teams are always hiring.

That said, my cosmology is a bit different so certain individuals are invested with "darker" spiritual gifts than others, so you might end up with those abilities anyway.
>>
>>54076050 I'm just trying to provide a solution no need to be rude.
>>
>>54075885
Are extra attacks super important? I'm going battlemaster fighter and I figure I can fake it for big encounters by using riposte and such when it matters.
>>
File: 1473995280662.png (343KB, 401x440px) Image search: [Google]
1473995280662.png
343KB, 401x440px
>>54076089

Seriously man?

>>54076094

It's a potential doubling of damage, figure it out from there.
>>
>>54076094
>Are extra attacks super important?
Yes, they are major damage boost
>>
>>54076094
>is doubling your damage super important?
I dunno, you tell me.
>>
>>54075885
Not really. Paladins get the whole martial shebang, with the same hit die and proficiencies as fighters, fighting style and extra attack, but better saving throws and class features worth mentioning, spellcasting and smite among them. The only thing fighters have over paladins is maneuvers assuming they go Battlemaster (paladins get spellcasting so no biggie) and action surge (which is once per short rest)
>>
>>54071900

If you're intending to use your Pact Weapon as your primary attack, you're going to underperform your expected damage by quite a bit, but probably not unplayably so if everything else is in order.

If your intention is to focus on EB and keep your Pact Weapon as an emergency anti-crowding measure, you're going to do just fine as long as you're having fun with it.
>>
File: 1326622855138.jpg (78KB, 639x595px) Image search: [Google]
1326622855138.jpg
78KB, 639x595px
My players only care about killing stuff and i'm beginning to lose interest in our game
>>
>>54076148
Fighters are one step ahead on the feat game, which is a big deal.
>>
How do I make arena tournaments interesting?
>>
>>54071980

How dare people try to play unrealistic races in his Elfgame?
>>
>>54072089

The team put so much stuff into 5e that they haven't yet managed to convince people is in there.
>>
>>54076193
Not from level 1-5, and after, the paladin gets his basic build off the ground just 2 levels after the fighter, which is probably a fair tradeoff since they can do a lot of other shit
>>
>>54076126
His suggestion was crap. I proposed a suggestion that I thought was less crap. I didn't mean to offend you or anything I just wanted to salvage the idea.
>>
>>54072364

Probably not, at least for a long while. The only way I think they could is if they used 6e to remove a lot of legacy mechanics and clean up the language even further. The core engine is actually fantastic when run as intended.
>>
>>54072415

A bit disappointed that they went back on their plan to have only 1 each of the holy trilogy and base around those alone. That said, XGtE is basically PHB2 and I'm looking forward to it.
>>
Hey there, /5eg/. I'm gonna play my first game of 5E next week and we have to build our characters. I roll a 8, 9, 13, 17, 15, and 16 for my ability scores. I'm thinking of going Mountain Dwarf Paladin. Where should I put my ability scores in at?
>>
>>54072583

The suggested 5e Oaths don't really work that way. If you're doing a custom Oath, you're already off the map and firmly into "work it out with your DM" territory.
>>
>>54076332

17 Strength, 16 Wis, 15 Con, 13 Dex, 9 Cha, 8 Int.
>>
>>54076148
L1 fighters have fighting style and 1d10+1 healing, paladins only get 5 poins of healing

L2 action surge/short rest vs 4d8 smite damage

L3 BM has 4d8/short rest, following DMG guidelines its 12d8/day, paladins get 6d8 smite

L4 is the same for both
>>
>>54076189
Give them an opponent that have to THINK to kill.
>>
>>54072614

Unchained was dramatically under-appreciated. It couldn't save it but it was glorious in the attempt.
>>
>>54076332
Don't listen to that other guy. Strength should be your highest stat, and charisma second highest.
>>
>>54076354

Alternately, you could swap Con and Dex..
>>
>>54076354
Don't Paladins need Charisma for their spellcasting?
>>
>>54076332
This >>54076349 but switch WIS and CHA. Paladin is a CHA caster.
>>
>>54076380
>>54076332
Woops, meant this >>54076354
>>
>>54076379

Fuck. You are correct, do not listen to me.

Long day...
>>
>>54074817
How do you murder everything when rage and reckless attack don't work with dex?
>>
>>54076380
>>54076396

You know, I'm so sorry I'm tripfagging. I'll stop. Sorry guys. I'm a huge faggot. Back to /reddit/ I go.
>>
>>54076380
>>54076396
>>54076470

Okay. First up, there's a difference between namefagging, which is that, and tripfagging. Tripfagging requires a tripcode. I'll let you look that one up yourself. Secondly, if you're gonna namefag, at least KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
>>
>>54074437

In English it's ambiguous. I think (Old Owl) Well makes more sense, however. I don't know what the fuck an Owl Well would be, on its own.
>>
>>54076470
Fuck, I'm sorry.
We're doing some light roleplaying in >>54070515 and I forgot to take it off to post here. Don't need to be mean.

>>54076498
I know the drill. The poster above you isn't me.
>>
File: 1231aaa.jpg (125KB, 736x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1231aaa.jpg
125KB, 736x1041px
Im in a situation where my dm runs a number of groups in the same universe, and due to irl issues and mostly abuse coming from some players in my group towards my dm the likelyhood of that group being ended is pretty big.
On a random conversation with my dm a few weeks back he mentioned without me asking that he'd invite me to his other group that had started but they're pretty full.
Im happy if he calls the group because that would mean he'd get some free time and less shit to worry about, but at the same time losing that characther in that universe and then seeing that universe continue in other groups is some shit i wasnt prepared to be upset about

I guess my question is how do you deal with being "booted" off a game or just seeing it die before it reached any proper point of conclusion?
Am i just a massive wuss for caring about my PC and that universe?
Are traps gay?
>>
>>54076360
I give you second wind.

In my experience, people generally don't adhere to the 3 short rest/1 long rest thing. You're looking at one and maybe 2 if you nag everyone because you need your class features to refresh. In your example action surge is still a worse source of nova damage than smiting for levels 2-4, since you would reasonably be looking at 2d10/2d8/4d6 damage for the fighter.
>>
>>54076501
Thanks famalam.
>>
>>54076501
A well for owls to fetch water from. Did the owls make it? If so how? What do owls need that much water for?

A well full of owl. Why? Who made it? But mostly, why?
>>
Is a fighter/rogue multiclass any good? Not sure what level I would do it at though
>>
>>54069616
While I agree it's really difficult to take the 5E rules set and do anything other than heroic high fantasy without mangling the rules.
>>
>>54076501
It's because Owlbears roam in the region.
>>
>>54076528
Its not the class fault people don't follow the guidelines

And BM gets more dice to deal damage than paladin gets to snite if you follow the guidelines plus action surge. Fighters are pretty good.
>>
>>54072728

It primarily attracts me as a DM because it adds a rules medium-heavy "classic RPG to my lineup that:

1) Allows me to appeal to a lot of different player types at the same time. There are better games for specific niches, but sometimes I need something broad-spectrum.

2) Is well supported by the publisher and community in terms of tools and materials. Especially useful is the way that sourcebooks and adventure paths are combined into 1 thematic book and the ease of re-using statblocks. My session prep time is a fraction of what it used to be.

3) Is designed with OTB play in mind. 5e's abstractions make it very easy to keep the flow of the game moving forward and focused on characters and their in-character actions which makes it easier to maintain interest.

To sum up: It helps me do my job without getting in my way.
>>
>>54076572

Yes.

Fighter 5/Rogue whatever
>>
>>54076572
Yes, 3 Battle Master is great! I don't know if you have Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade if you do 3 or 4 levels is enough for the fighter levels if not 5 fighter levels are perfect for a rogue.
>>
What're the best maneuvers to get for BM? I'm really liking riposte/menacing/disarming for my first three.
>>
>>54076615
What the rulebook says shouldn't come before how it actually plays off. If anything, that should've told them way back in the playtest that short rests weren't working as intended and needed fixing. You could literally just double or triple the usages of most short rest features and turn them into long rest ones
>>
>>54076694

Tripping is great for free advantage of following attacks
Commanding if you got a rogue in your party for that sneak attack outside of his turn

Disarming is a personal favorite of mine aswell
>>
>>54076694

Depends on your purpose! I'm currently running a Battlemaster whose sole purpose is two-fold: First and foremost, I will combine Rally with the Inspiring Leader feat to keep my party topped up on Temp HP. Secondly, I will use Commander's Strike to give my party's Rogue an additional Sneak Attack every round. Other than that, Riposte and Precision Attack are both immensely useful! Find what works for you!
>>
>>54076694
That's about it.
>>
>>54076572
3 levels if you intend to use the SCAG cantrips.
5 levels if you don't.

Either way you want to take them as soon as possible, because fighter boosts your early levels survivability more than rogue does.
>>
>>54076729
Menacing gives advantage too, doesn't it?

>>54076741
Yeah. My party's not the mooost tanky - we're got a cleric, a bard, a druid, and a sorcerer in addition to me, so I'm building this to basically stand in front of all the damage and give what CC I can with disarm/menace.

I'm also multiclassing into paladin next level because of IC, so I have to plan around that too. I'm just having trouble figuring out whether this is the best three I can pick for what I need.
>>
Is rolling ok if its a class that requires less stats, like wizard or lore bard? Or should you always just array/point buy if you have the choice?
>>
>>54073427

In actual play a lot of it is fixed if you go by how the system is designed to be played. Hence why so much RL play looks nothing like the memes.

The downside is that a lot of people don't want to play that game so they put on their DM crown and drag out their DM throne and fiat things back to either how they played in earlier versions or just remove systems they don't like entirely, then are shocked to discover that they brought back the problems of earlier editions with it. I call it "Virt Syndrome."
>>
>>54076841
Depends on your DM
>>
>>54073675

Depends on how much of your game is about fighting and how much of your game is about platforming. In my experience you see way more of the first than the second in actual play.
>>
>>54076841

I can't answer your question with authority, but I can give you my experience: One campaign, a table I was a part of decided to roll for stats instead of point buy. The result? Five demi-gods, and the DM constantly struggling to find anything to even stand in our way. Level 1, multiple 20's across the entire party, and a whole lot of 15+ stats. We were completely unstoppable from the get-go. It was a joke.
>>
>>54076841
Rolling is always more fun, imo. DnD isn't about having an optimal build or the strongest dude; sometimes a bad roll opens it up to even more fun.

I rolled a 7 on my fighter in the campaign I started a few weeks ago, and I decided to put it into WIS while I had a +2 in INT. It's been really fun playing this kind of dopey but booksmart martial student and is probably one of my most memorable characters, all from that botched roll.
>>
>>54076925
>sometimes a bad roll opens it up to even more fun.
>fighter
>7 wisdom
That isn't considered bad when rolling. Bad when rolling would be something like having a 12 or lower in dex str and con while playing a fighter
>>
>>54074266

They're designed for that way of using them, too. My favorite part about the new ones.
>>
>>54074437

I read it as (old (owl (well))).
>>
>>54076972
>Bad when rolling would be something like having a 12 or lower in dex str and con while playing a fighter
According to RAW you get to choose which attribute gets which stat. And while it is possible that not a single stat exceeds 12, it's statistically very, very unlikely.
>>
>>54076972
You don't roll for each individual stat, though. You roll a 4d6 (dropping the lowest die) six times and then allot those numbers into whichever you choose. Rolling low enough with a dropped die each roll to take a "bad" stat in your three most important attributes is almost impossible.
>>
>>54076526
I don't know what to tell you about the rest but traps are indeed gay.
>>
>>54076972
>Rolling after picking a class

Also I played a 7 dex fighter in 2e (3d6 down the line) and it was actually really fun to have this veteren who took a spear to the thigh and had to retire early, taking up the adventuring lifestyle after his town got destroyed by goblins and he needed to raise money to rebuild it
>>
>>54076715

You can't make people understand that the rules matter. If they'll ignore one, they'll ignore the other.
>>
>>54076526
>Am i just a massive wuss
Nah. That's a lot of progress to lose I guess. Just have to accept it and move on.
>>
>>54077071
A 7 in dex in 2e doesn't have THAT many penalties, though. It's the same bonus as a 15 and only a -1 difference when compared to a 16. In 5e you'd get a -2 modifier and -5 when compared to a 16
>>
File: 1390851423387.png (102KB, 165x245px) Image search: [Google]
1390851423387.png
102KB, 165x245px
>>54076526

Listen son. I've only recently started playing myself, but a situation occurred in what I consider my primary group. There was a player who dictated everything. The party did what he said, and the story went how he wanted it to go. He was a toxic influence on the game. I'm fairly averse to confrontation myself, so I ignored the problem for a while, Hell, let's not kid myself, I didn't give that much of a shit. It wasn't until that group started a second campaign with that player that I started to get tired of it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the first campaign, maybe it was just him playing his character, but the second campaign was essentially the same character, there was no difference at all. So, what should I do? I asked another table I was a part of, a table with players who have played for immensely longer than I have (one player who had been playing D&D since before I was born and apparently had even had conversations with Gary Gygax himself) and all of them looked at me with disgusted faces as I recounted the utter shit the problem player had lapped onto that particular game. So I decided to fix shit myself. When I talked to the DM of the game about it, he told me that the problem player had been making him want to stop DMing or playing D&D altogether because of how unfun it was. So I convinced everyone to kick him, and we did. In the months following, the game flourished, the DM told me he was excited to DM again, and I'm still playing with them and having a blast. Sometimes, you just gotta grow some balls.
>>
>>54076841

Rolling is a blast on one-shots but it messes with the math to make long-form games possible. A lot of DMs trigger rerolls or bonus up low rolls and a few do the same with high rolls, but to me that's almost self-refuting: if the goal was to get everyone on the same level, there were easier ways.
>>
>>54077225
I guess that is true.

Some day I want to bring back that character into 5e. Maybe in a one shot
>>
>>54077278

Problem here is that its not one player. its the whole thing. Hell at this point im not even sure myself if im causing the DM any huge stress or not.
>>
>>54077432

It was a confidence-inspiring story. Moral was: Don't be a wuss. If you've been invited to another game, then it's clear that the DM actually enjoys your gaming. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth either.
>>
>>54077167

Its not even a high level group yet. Its just... i loved that world and that pc, and i still do. And i wasnt expecting to feel robbed of it when i see it being explored only by the other groups while ill most likely never have anything to do with it ever again. The dm told the other group he has plans for the next 3 years or so and its just.. eh.

Acept it and move on. Gotcha.
>>
>>54077453
But i wasnt? He said he would if it wasnt full. On hindsight he probably was just trying to cheer me up
>>
>>54074551
take neither intimidate or insight as skills
constantly attempt to use both
>>
>>54077501

Oh, I thought you said you had been invited to join another table. I'm actually fairly drunk, so whatever.
>>
"On a random conversation with my dm a few weeks back he mentioned without me asking that he'd invite me to his other group that had started but they're pretty full. "

So yeah. Let it go and not mention it to the DM to avoid him feelling bad about it?
>>
>>54074817
what happens if someone damages the bag while your barb's sticking halfway out of it?
>>
>>54074817
>low int barbarian

WOW I've NEVER seen one of THOSE before EVER
>>
What are some were-x creatures you rarely see?

Trying to shake up some factions here to put alongside some other lycanthropes.

werespider?
>>
>>54077696
Wererat
>>
>>54077696
wereaccountant
>>
>>54077696

Weregay
>>
>>54077696

I've seen literally all the lycans in the MM, so...were-dinosaur? That'd be a new one on me.
>>
>>54077753
Oh, I like that one. A cabal of weredinosaurs sounds funky as fuck.
>>
>>54077696

Weremuppets
>>
>>54077696
Werebeetle?
>>
>>54077696
Werezombievampireshadowcultists.
>>
>>54077696

Weremimic
>>
>>54077696
Weregator
Weremadillo
Weregnome
Weresthebeef
>>
>>54076526

Just... tell him? You're happy for him/her but you really feel put to the side because of other people. Its not like he's not gonna DM anymore. He might've said full because the other group doesn't much care for you? You strike me as the annoying fuckwit type.
>>
>>54077696
Werehalflings.

The afflicted are all already halflings, they just turn into different halflings.
>>
>>54077696
werebarbarian

A literal lunatic that flies into a hideous rage every full moon. his victims so horribly mutilated that it ends up blamed on monsters, as the werebarb himself never remembers what he did.
>>
>>54077696
Wereflea.
>>
File: birb classes.jpg (85KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
birb classes.jpg
85KB, 540x540px
so I'm a third level paladin in the middle of nowhere and I have mummy rot. Dm says lay on hands shouldnt remove it. I disagree. support my side pls
>>
File: DeeblyGoncernedNotSpurdo.png (60KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
DeeblyGoncernedNotSpurdo.png
60KB, 218x218px
>>54078383
Unfortunately, I think your DM is right.
>The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.
Mummy rot is explicitly a curse, and Lay on Hands can only remove diseases.
>>
>>54078383
Lay on Hands doesn't affect curses.

Mummy Rot is a curse.

You're wrong and stupid.
>>
>>54078383
Better hope you find someone who can cast 3rd level cleric spells
>>
>>54078383
>Arguing with the DM

Fuck you.
>>
>>54078503
this is also the dm that misremembered troll regen and had a troll light itself on fire as soon as a fight started. And makes us roll sleight of han to close a door with our eyes closed
>>
>>54078503
Sometimes the DM is fucking wrong.
>>54078383
But not in this case. Read the PHB you mongrel, what you want to use is Cure Disease unless it is magical then you'll have to get a way to remove a curse.
>>
>>54078541
>misremembered troll regen and had a troll light itself on fire as soon as a fight started
What the fuck?
>>
Is there a size limit for images on roll20? Because this shit I'm making now seems like its gonna be like 10000x10000
>>
File: 1461725432974.jpg (799KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461725432974.jpg
799KB, 1080x1080px
I mentioned Liftbearian earlier in the thread, but can't be assed to dig through for the link

Essentially it is
>Powerful Build racial feature
>Level 6 Bear Totem Barb
>Brawny

You can throw Tavern Brawler in there too, but basically, each one of those "One Size Largers" stack for carrying capacity/lift ect per

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/23/does-the-powerful-build-trait-stack-with-barbarian-bear-totem-warriors-aspect-of-the-beast/

Crawford's ruling.

This means that with 20 STR, you can lift over 2 tons. That alone is awesome, but throw in Tavern Brawler and you got yourself a good fucking time. Every pebble/tree/cart/small building is a weapon.

Plus, you know, people.

I'm thinking going Powerful Build/brawny/tavern brawler and Zealot Barb for a high end game, and stumbled across this after wanting to play a mildly unkillable Samson style dude
>>
>>54078566
Maybe he thought it regened if it was on fire?
>>
>>54078544
assuming cure disease would work (which it wouldnt by his standards) then why wouldnt laying on hands for 5 to cure diseases work?
>>
>>54078581
bingo. fight started and the troll put a torch to his head
>>
>>54078572
>1d4 damage
Have fun.
>>
>>54078582
Because I'm dumb and should have followed my own advice.
sorry
>>
>>54078594
It's for out-of-combat versatility ________:^)_______
>>
>>54078572
>>54078594
What he said, it'll be heavily dependent on how lenient/liberal your DM will be in calculating falling damage and how reasonable he'll be with getting that shit on target. I know my DM would force me to first roll a strength check to throw it far enough and a dex check to get it on target accurately before he'd even consider damage. Hell, he might even force me to do it over two turns.
>>
>>54076526

Games die, grow some balls
>>
>>54078591
He didn't bother to double check or anything? Goddamn, I guess I'm happy to know I'll never fuck up to that level.
>>
>>54078625
I think improvised weapons can only be strength based, even at range (ala javalin), but you are right about it being on the DM, and how much they are willing to work with you. That said, I think there are options in the DMG for higher damage improv weapons.
That said, looks AMAZINGLY fun, and can't wait to try it myself.
>>
Not much time left for this thread. New one ahead:
>>54078958
>>54078958
>>54078958
>>
File: 1450491398278.jpg (79KB, 467x453px) Image search: [Google]
1450491398278.jpg
79KB, 467x453px
Today i finally lost my shit with my retard players and told them to fuck themselves. Motherfuckers not attending the game for 3 weeks straight, and when they do come it's usually 2 hours later than what we had planned. Fuck it, Fuck this assholes, i'm tired of their shit. I'm a DM, not their fucking dad. Sometimes it seems like this game is not worth all the trouble.
>>
>>54078971
It's not the game not worth your time, it's the players who are treating you like shit. Drop them and find people who are actually interested in playing, because those people aren't.
Thread posts: 444
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.