[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Critical Role

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 24

File: received_1954269808144164.png (334KB, 468x512px) Image search: [Google]
received_1954269808144164.png
334KB, 468x512px
Tiberius > Scanlan > Grog > Percy > Pike > Vax > Vex > Keylith
>>
>>54002738
Anything > Critical Role
>>
The Adventure Zone > Critical Role
>>
The Adventure Zone = Critical Role = shit
>>
File: ugh.jpg (48KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
48KB, 627x626px
>>54002738
>>
>>54002738
>Tiberius
Every time Orion Acaba opened his mouth it was as bad if not worse than Marisha's "Avatar the last mary sue" bullshit
>>
>tiberius
>percy
>remotely good
laughing at ur life desu
>>
How do people watch these? Do you sit and watch them? Do you skip ahead? Are they background noise? Perhaps on a second monitor?

I'd be willing to listen to them as podcasts while commuting, but staring at other people play D&D gets really boring after 30 minutes, let alone hundreds of hours.
>>
>>54006404
Background noise for me while I'm coming up with new pc ideas
>>
>>54006404
They've actually just started converting them to podcasts
>>
>>54006404
i enjoy it enough to watch it like i would a tv show
when you're not paying attention or without the visual element you can miss a lot
then again i'm a super autist
>>
>>54006404
Good background noise. Helps get a feel for/inspiration for NPC voices and description, even though I wouldn't go as ham as Matt Mercer.
>>
>>54002738
Background noise while I work or paint minis. Thank God for my second screen.
>>
>>54002738
It's completely okay, though once I caught up I more or less lost interest.
Decent background noise.

Grog > Scanlan > Matt as every NPC > Percy > Pike > Vax >Tiberius > Power gap > Vex = Keyleth

Orion Acaba was also pretty severely That Guy.
>>
>>54003152
Where does the Rollplay stuff from ItmeJP fit into this?
>>
Pike (Because I've had a crush on Ashley Johnson since RECESS first aired) > Grog > Matt (At all times) > Scanlan> Percy > Vex = Vax > Taryon = Tiberius > Keyleth
>>
>>54008605
Vex got better when she stopped being ranged jewish liam and started being her own character with percy.

Travis>Ashley>Matt>Sam>Taliesin>Laura>Liam>Stuffed Bear>Marisha

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn best guest, Felicia Day worst guest.
>>
>>54006404
>How do people watch these?
Do work while it's going.

>Do you sit and watch them?
Sometimes I'll watch particular encounters for a bit.

>Do you skip ahead?
No.

>Are they background noise?
Yes.

>Perhaps on a second monitor?
Yes.
>>
>>54012108
>Felicia Day worst guest
You've forgotten about meme candle dragonborn man
>>
>>54013371
He ranks higher by being more forgettable.
>>
I've been enjoying it so far. Just kinda jumping in at the current arc and flipping through random episodes as background noise. I gotta say I enjoy it and it makes me want to find a DnD group again.
>>
>>54006404
I have it on while I exercise. The episode lengths tend to work out pretty well with my schedule.
>>
File: 1495219198543.jpg (35KB, 800x902px) Image search: [Google]
1495219198543.jpg
35KB, 800x902px
>>54006404
>How do people watch these?
Because they are brainless drooling slobs who can watch that kind of mind numbing shit. Ever see Rooster teeth videos? People actually watch that garbage. The only reason to watch Critical Roll is to lose your last miniscule speck of faith in humanity before killing yourself. It is a gathering of hipster nu-males and screeching whores they plop at a table, add a ton of boring shit on the screen, and then proceed to laugh autistically over inane shit for 2.5 hours. It is basically a RoosterTeeth video, except with a D&D session attached. These people are the biggest faggots on the planet. Matt Mercer's homebrew is shit, he's passable at best as a DM, and the women can't do anything except make fart / period jokes because they are disgusting whores. The other fat-asses aren't much better and are likely just there for the free attention and a chance at scoring with used up voice actress cunts. If you spend your free time watching D&D, it is because you are a fucking social reject. Because you clearly cannot find a game. Because if you could find a game you would not be watching 2 to 3 hour episodes of these fags' "banter". I cannot think of anything more boring than watching some other people I don't give a fuck about, playing D&D. I'd rather paint my toenails with my dick cheese. What a fucking waste of time. I seriously hope Critical Roll charters a bus and the bus crashes and they all fucking die. I am not even memeing, I fucking hate these cocksuckers, they are more obxnoious than the Yogscast/Roosterteeth, and they are flooding our hobby with these autistic youtube gaming addicts who will fuck up your D&D campaign and whine that it should be more like Skyrim.
>>
>>54014587
Is this a copypaste?
>>
>>54014587
Whilst this is copypasta b8, a good 2/3rds of the information is basically correct
>>
File: regret.jpg (27KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
regret.jpg
27KB, 500x469px
>>54014587
AH fuck he's back
>>
>>54006404
I stopped watching because I ran into that problem, but then I started a campaign with physical battlemaps and started watching while drawing which has worked greatly.
>>
>>54014587
nice
>>
>>54002738
>>>/tv/
>>
>>54012108
>>54008605 here. Would you believe I fucking managed to accidentally the joke and mix up Vex and Vax?
>>
I convert them to audio and listen to them to/from work
>>
>>54006404
i will listen at work as background noise never actually "watch" i find it helps pass the time and as an inexpirienced player has taught me what reading the rules cant
>>
>>54014587
ok
>>
>>54018110
>It's a Vax grinds everything to a halt to do stilted cringe RP multiple times in a session episode
Oh wait that's all of them
>>
>>54020961
Not true, sometimes Keyleth wrenches the spotlight onto her and proceeds to do terrible things under the guise of being a tee-hee so sweet, innocent and naïve person. As a YT commenter points out:
"First actions as Voice of the Tempest
1. Racially profile a farmer
2. Bring my friends to hell
3. Devour soul"

And on especially heinous occasions, the two intersect, and they have the romance devoid of anything reminiscent of chemistry.

Though, at least Matt manages to mostly not give Marisha unfair advantages just for being his fiancé, but she does get a lot of hints due to her being more than a little slow on the uptake.

Also, Liam cheeses me off to no end when he starts with his "NUH UH THIS IS IMPROV I SAID IT IT'S REAL MNYEEHHH" shite, even trying to contradict Matt.
>>
>>54002738
>Scanlan > Grog > Percy > Vex > Pike > Keyleth > Vax > Tiberius

fixed
>>
>>54014587

b8, but basically true
>>
>>54020711
>>54015651
But everything I have said so far is true. Matthew Mercer is contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Micheal Merals, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mercer has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick characters, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else. And by entertainment, I mean they consider it nothing more than a Netflix special that they can pause at any time, because it is meant entirely to pander to their enjoyment and make them laugh to cover up how empty their soulless lives are. This hobby used to be full of passionate people who cared about the game and weren't afraid to show it. Now the hobby is being diluted by hordes of casuals who couldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>54022007
When did the Liam contradicting Matt stuff happen?
>>
>>54023129
don't be bitter someone more well known than you is enjoying success. it's beneath you. it happens all the time and you just don't know it. you're simply aware of it this time. deal with your emotions in a more constructive manner than "he's ruining my fun!"

if you have time to be bitter about how someone else is ruining your hobby, put that energy into making it better yourself. case in point- Pathfinder being the direct result of 4th Edition. even if you don't like it, you can't ignore its success.

stop being angry, just do better.
>>
>>54022469
No no no no, it's

>Scanlan/Grog > Matt > Pike > Percy > Vex > Trinket > Taryon > The farmer from the cows episode > A pile of shit > Vax > Keyleth
>>
How was my nigga Mcginiss? The ep before that was my last one
>>
>>54014587
>bait
>but true
This shit's meta, boi
>>
I listen to critical hit at work. As background noise.

Is there anything like it. Most shit is garbage, badly edited with people saying fuck every other word.
>>
>>54027836
Schway
>>
>>54027213
>Scanlan/Grog > Matt > Pike > Percy > Vex > Trinket > Taryon > Keyleth > The farmer from the cows episode > A pile of shit > Vax

fixed
>>
>>54029530
That's pretty generous for Keyleth, though she did earn some points by killing herself. Although Vax had the decency to get disintegrated, and therefore may stay dead.
>>
>>54029613
Wait what?
>>
>>54029676
Which part, Keyleth killing herself (she got rezzed) or Vax chowing down on an 8th level disintegrate?
>>
>>54029724
Both. Last thing I heard was Scanlan left after dying and being rez'd because he wants to be with his daughter and the shit Vox Machina deals with is too dangerous for his liking. Also that they're a bunch of cunts that will solve all of their emotional traumas but they never bothered to get to know him.
>>
>>54029771
All true. Since you seem not to mind, I'll just lay out the spoilers.
So, Keyleth jumped off of a thousand foot cliff after dealing with some shenanigans from Pike's past, you can find the relevant clip on youtube, just search "Keyleth goldfish" or something to that effect. Basically, she proclaimed herself a god, and jumped off a cliff, wildshaped into a goldfish, Matt (in one of his best home rules ever) ignored the damage cap on fall damage, and rolled 100d6, resulting in a total of 360-some fall damage, instantly killing her. Unfortunately, she got better.
As for Vax, this happened just last week, they were fighting Vecna (which I personally disagree with, making him the big bad and not the god he rightfully is, but he fucked VM up, so w/e) Vecna cast Disintegrate on Vax while he was paralyzed, turning him to dust. When Marisha stated that he'd be fine because she has True Resurrection (which she has stated in the past that Keyleth wouldn't be comfortable using as it fucks with the natural order, but that's Marisha) Matt shut her up with, "Marisha. There will be a discussion."
>>
>>54029841
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwgkZqbMoN8

^Video
Also didn't space my post cuz I'm a half-awake retard, sorry about that.
>>
>>54029858
So did Marisha expect to come out of that okay because she's fucking the DM?
>>
File: 1469676915547.jpg (368KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1469676915547.jpg
368KB, 3000x3000px
>>54002738
>Tiberius
>Better than anything but dog shit
>>
>>54030031
I didn't mind Tiberius at first. It was only after K'varn he showed how fucking shitty he could be.
>>
>>54030038
>The entire mirror debacle
>That entire episode where Travis was barely containing himself from lashing out at the fucker
>>
>>54030049
Mind if I get episodes for this? I'm not trying to fish through multiple hours of this shit to find someone almost getting their throat ripped out.
>>
>>54003008
/thread
>>
>>54029998
I don't believe she was thinking anything at all, to be honest.

>>54030049
>>54030088
The mirrors and Travis wanting to rip his throat out through his ass both occurred in episode 27, his last appearance.
>>
>>54030049
That's all post K'varn.
>>
>>54023129
>crying this much over other people having fun differently than yourself
>>
>>54030038
remember when tiberius wanted to basically negate percy's arc by summoning a dragon army
im so glad orion got hiv and cancer, self centered fuck
>>
>>54029530
>>54027213
Scanlan isn't half as fun as Pike, and nowhere near Grog tier. Sam is a decent player, but he can only successfully be funny, while Travis can run any emotion. Pike is just as funny as Scanlan, but can also pull off cutesy/motherly with Grog.
>>
>>54030605
A dragon army invasion could have been cool but still a dick move
>>
>>54030647
Sam is god-tier, and a genius player as well. Perfect example of good roleplayer with an optimized, powerful character utilized well.

As for Pike being as funny as Scanlan, that's certainly an unique opinion, even if it were true though, I would say Pike doesn't get half as many laughs as Scanlan does even dismissing the episodes she didn't appear in, but Scanlan did.
>>
>>54030653
I'm now remembering the episode where he says TWICE that vex is giving him a half-chub, and spends 30 minutes shopping and trying to create some device that matt has to say no to
I've never seen murderous rage in travis' eyes like that before
>>
When does it start getting good?

I'm a couple of hours in and am kind of bored, not overly bored just kind of.
Is it just not for me or is the good stuff only about to begin?
>>
>>54030879
honestly the first arc (1-14) isn't amazing, but i'd give it some more time than the first few hours of the first episode they ever did
>>
>>54030879
The Whitestone arc was pretty great but you can totally skip the Chromaconclave
>>
>>54032286
Don't skip the beginning of the conclave. The opening episode or two were the shit. Then it went downhill.
>>
>>54030647
Most of Pike's humor relies on her being with Scanlan or Grog while those two can be entertaining on their own.

I ain't hating on best CR girl, I'm just saying
>>
>>54035728
I mean most of her best moments are where she actually fucks up roleplaying pretty badly, but when she does it she manages to make it funny and cute, whereas when others do it its annoying.
>>
>>54038441
Scanlan and Grog never fuck up.
Percy tries to be cool but fucks up.
Vex blends in too much to fuck up.
Vax fucks up every time he wanks to the Raven Bitch.
Keyleth is a fuck up.
>>
File: angry-crying-man-BGYAB5[1].jpg (237KB, 1300x1016px) Image search: [Google]
angry-crying-man-BGYAB5[1].jpg
237KB, 1300x1016px
>>54014587
>>54023129
>Look at them all, laughing together. See their oblivious smiles, the twinkle of childlike glee in their eyes? Slobs! Simpletons! This was once a serious hobby, meant only for people with a real passion for the craft. Now it is nothing more than a cheap novelty for the masses. A momentary distraction from the gnawing emptiness of their lives! How dare they! They will never know the real, true joy of role playing games, nor will I know that joy ever again, for they have tread upon my hobby and stolen what I loved!
>>
These threads are pathetic. The show is a how to for first time D&D and trying to breathe new life (successfully) into a dead hobby. Some moments are fun, some are boring, like any campaign if you have ever played one. Not every episode is amazing, Mercer does his best and is very entertaining (he is in front of thousands of viewers doing his improv not reading from his word doc at a kitchen table like a lot of people here). The other characters are fun in their own way, except for Keylith and I get the hate for her. At the end of the day it's a group of friends playing a game and it's kind of entertaining. I've already wasted too much energy with this response.

Go back to being cool /tg/, I remember loving this board for the community.
>>
>>54039636
Fuck you
>>
>>54003152
The Adventure Zone has been shit lately. I miss the early episodes
>>
>>54030741
Sam is 100% funnier than Ashley, but, as Scanlan, his antics aren't any funnier than Pike interacting with Grog. Sure, he does it more often, but he's also more hit and miss. I tired of poop humor the first time it happened.

Note that Travis is the only one to do literal toilet humor and have it be actually funny.
>>
>>54040721
This whole not D&D thing is just listening to god awful story telling. Sure, they were rules light before, but now its nonsensical and just a platform to wrap up the shitty story.
>>
>>54039636
>a dead hobby

Yeah, no.
>>
File: t1g4a32kr66z.png (590KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
t1g4a32kr66z.png
590KB, 2000x2000px
>>54040739
grog and pike are the best, but grog interacting with anyone is great
scanlan is more of a solo artist
also, i've seen tumblr nose before, but never tumblr shoulder and elbow
>>
>>54040858
I think it's just that, it's comedy and i don't find half his stuff funny. The songs tend to be ok, but i actually find Sam funnier out of character than i do Scanlan. The openings/ad breaks are the funniest things he does.

Bigby's Hand and magical poop just don't do it for me.
>>
>>54040858
Oh, and Grog+Vax and Grog+Keyleth aren't great, but that's because Liam and Marisha aren't funny, they lack the comedic flow/timing that makes it work with everyone else. Hell, Taliesin isn't funny at all, but he can quip back so at least Travis carries their conversations.
>>
>>54006404
background noise, usually while replaying a game for the xth time so i don't have to listen to the same dialog again
>>
>>54002738
Let me know when Wil Wheaton comes back. Watching him play is some beautiful fucking schadenfreude.

Really anything with Wheaton's great.
>>
>>54043229
Except for his characters.
>>
>>54043229
>>54043253
And Wheaton
>>
>>54043229
those were the only episodes of critical role i skipped
i could even handle felicia day for two episodes, but wil wheaton is unbearable
>>
>>54043618
>>54043661
The dude literally covered every edgelord character stereotype in the first episode he appeared in, and the worst part was he's supposed to be experienced and know better.
>>
>>54043976
That's why he's so fun to watch, because he tries to be hardcore and fails miserably
>>
>>54043976
Who was the edgelord character who actually played a Mary Sue background straight and did it well? They had him as a guest a couple of times I think.
>>
>>54044066
The only one I can think of would be the writer guy that gets mentioned here a couple of times, he played a paladin named Kerrik, he wrote Name of the Wind, was that it?
He's the only edgelord guest I can think of, Percy is sometimes quoted as doing a good job as well.
>>
>>54044138
Kash is who he probably meant, he played a giant snowflake cleric, with an edgy backstory. He plays well enough in general that it's not really an issue.

It helps that he showed up with McGlynn, so he definitely had the best possible start.
>>
>>54044066
Friedle? Dude's legit, he made Edgy Darkness McEdgerson and then played him funny and likeable.
>>
>>54044147
That's right, forgot about him. Yeah, dude is a massive snowflake, yet down shockingly well.
>>
>>54040930
Liam can be funny when he's the butt of the joke. Like when Vax decided to take a bath with Percy and Vex was giving head the entire time.
>>
Have watched, wasn't impressed. Matt Colville's stream is better. Really I think the main value of these streams are for improving your own game, & I don't see how Crtitical role does that.
>>
>>54044156
Agreed. I didn't even notice that he's a Mary Sue until someone on here mentioned it. I wish Matt would have let him come play some more
>>
Best parts are when Grog is toying with the Deck of Many Things
>>
>watching CR
>watching Adventure zone
>watching any kind of actual play
Please explain why, this all sounds boring as shit.
>>
Anyone else think Matt Mercer seems kind of arrogant?
>>
>>54033814
>>54032286
What goes wrong with the Chromaconclave arc?
>>
>>54002738
I've never been able to sit through an episode of Critical Role past the ads for their sponsors. Someone explain to me why everyone hates Keylith so much.
>>
>>54052295
I get long periods at work where I don't do much of anything and listening to stuff other than the radio helps the day go by faster
>>
>>54052669
She's impulsive and awkward and she can't talk her way out of a paper bag, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. I think she's unintentionally hilarious.
>>
>>54052313
Well when everyone applauds how great a DM you are and loves your generic setting, I can see how it can get to his head.

>>54052669
Marisha is that girl. She's the DM's girlfriend who has a snowflake backstory of being a half-elf who's chosen to lead all of the elves. She's supposedly the leader of Vox Machina but does nothing that shows she has authority,wisdom or any qualities to be in charge. She says she's against ressurrection when it goes against the natural order but it 100% okay with it when comes to rezing the party. Keyleth also makes poor fucking decisions,like deciding to piss off the dragon or swan dive off a huge cliff and killing herself
>>
>>54024686

On the Beach Episode, I think. I kinda half-assed through that one.
>>
>>54022007
>And on especially heinous occasions, the two intersect, and they have the romance devoid of anything reminiscent of chemistry.
They're chemistry is there. They're both terrible people and they deserve each other
>>
>>54052313
How's he come off as arrogant? I haven't seen it but I'm interested in what you've seen

>>54052612
The fights with the dragons are 4 hour long slogfests because they're just a huge bag of hit points and nothing else. The dragons don't do anything interesting; they fly around, use their dragon breath, and bite/claw the PCs. They're flat (for the most part) and combat goes like this: I take my turn and hit you and now you can hit me, now it's back to my turn to hit you...and so on.

And don't even get me started on the Thordak fight:
>PCs go back to Emon to fight Thordak
>Thordak has Emon crawling with his minions
>Think VM is going to have to mow down Thordak's minions and then when they're winded, the Cinder King rises up to challenge them
>Instead, they run around the sewers underground, bypassing everything to make it to Thordak while nameless NPCs fight the minions elsewhere
>Fight boils down to "hit him really hard and run around in circles"
>>
>>54052842
>deciding to piss off the dragon
"I'm inside an enclosed room with a dragon in a city that is still recovering from being ruled by Vampires. There are also multiple civilian NPCs in this room (including the Queen of Whitestone) and I'm going to threaten this dragon and tell her that I will kill her"...Excellent thinking there, there's absolutely no way things could have gone badly
>>
>>54002738
Glass Cannon > Critical Role
>>
>>54054721
I mean as stupid as that was I'd argue it was valid from an RP perspective, seeing as how the dragon in question killed a good 50% of the people she loved. Characters don't have to be cold and clinical all the time, they can get emotional, and Keylith as a character is about as emotional as it gets.
>>
>>54046235
I found Colville's stream pretty... I guess you'd say lifeless. It felt like watching some people play a boardgame. CR at least somewhat feels like I'm witnessing an epic tale of heroes and valour, which keeps it watchable for me.
>>
>>54055448
Keyleth is also supposed to be the leader with a god tier wisdom stat. She should have some impulse control
>>
>>54057969
22 wisdom.

Jumps off of a cliff, last words being, "We're gods!"
>>
>>54057969
>>54059995

I use her as an example of "What not do to in D&D"

The total disconnect between the character on her sheet and the character she plays is far worse in my opinion than any of Orion's glory-hogging or Liam's edge
>>
>>54060526
Honestly, they're the trifecta of shitty characters/players, and a great example, as you say, of how not to play.
>>
>>54006404
I used to rip the audio and sometimes listen while going for my walk.
Works out like a podcast, miss maybe 2 small jokes an episode.
>>
>>54002738
I couldn't watch CR anymore a few episodes after they killed Raishan. Just got so boring and tedious after. Really liked it up until the dragons arc too.
>>
>>54061240
I'd say the recent couple of episodes got back to form actually. The mini-arc with Pike's family and the current one that I won't spoil are pretty decent so far.
>>
>>54063319
yeah, it's nearing the end of the campaign, and they're in a pretty dire situation
i just hope they get everything settled before ashley has to leave
>>
File: BUT_NAT_20.png (19KB, 312x184px) Image search: [Google]
BUT_NAT_20.png
19KB, 312x184px
>>54002738

>Critical Role

I've had this picture saved for a while and I need a chance to post it. This is the kind of people Critical Role is Shepherding into our hobby. IIRC this was when Keyleth jumped to her death and tried to acrobatics the landing to not die from a 1,000 foot fall? Perhaps someone could refresh my memory.

That being said I enjoy the show immensely so who am I to talk

>>54061240

The current arc is very, very good so far. I'd recommend picking back up around episode 99's latter half.
>>
>>54063491
the whole turbo tumblr "critter" culture is really embarrassing, but i'm not gonna let a shit fanbase stop me from enjoying something
most of these people will either never actually try dnd or will try one game, be shocked it's not like critical role, and quit
>>
>>54063514
Had one of those recently, it's a shame because the one session she was there, she actually put in a fair bit of effort.
>>
>>54003008
First post best post
>>
File: nucks.png (273KB, 463x422px) Image search: [Google]
nucks.png
273KB, 463x422px
>>54030038
I've had a Tiberius situation in my group, where he was detrimental to the game due to IRL shit that was going on.
As a DM, it really sucks ass when the group has to basically pretend a member isn't/was never there, even in-character.
We were all close friends, so of course I wish him only the best, but still.
>>
>>54063692
well that's why matt wrote out and later killed him, so it wasn't like he just vanished from existence
>>
File: clarota_by_kentti-d9g48js.png (661KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
clarota_by_kentti-d9g48js.png
661KB, 999x799px
It was nice before the Chroma Conclave. Then they sold out and became way too self-aware. Those expensive big encounter Dwarven Forge things are impossible to see and confuse watchers and players. The whole "critter" thing is creepy and weird. Also, turns out 5E sucks. Watching combat and planning for 2 hours straight isn't fun.
Tiberius awesome, Taryon is dumb. I hate Marisha/Keyleth both. Scanlan/Sam is the best because he never takes it seriously, while the others are so far up their own butts.
I'm done watching Critical Role, but I'm definitely going to pick up Mercer's "Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting". I'll probably try out their next campaign whenever they get there.
>>
>>54064561
How can you prefer Tiberius to Taryon? I'll admit Taryon is basically just posh Scanlan, but still...
>>
>>54064610
One of my favorite things is when people, supposed "fans" flip shit over the most inane things, like when Taryon came out as gay. So many people spazzed out over it, it's like they don't know the cast and crew both couldn't possibly be more liberal, yet people still feel the need to attack them.

Another great example was when some dumb jewish whore freaked out that Vox Machina was "defiling" a golem, a creature in mythology created to protect jews, egro, they were attacking jews.

I really hope for the day when Matt tells them to shut the fuck up, but I don't think it will ever come.
>>
>>54064755
Yeah, I was disappointed about that too. Especially with the cringy little apology Matt gave to these spergs during one of his Q&As. Its only going to encourage the complainers, and the show is going to become even more sterile as a result (the setting is so bland and conflictless that its already slightly off-putting to be honest).
>>
Scanlan/Terry > Grog > Matt > Pike > Percy > Vax >>> Vex >>>>> Keylith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tiberius "That fucking Guy" Stormwind

Jon Heder clearly didn't know what the fuck was going on and came in on a horrible episode for a guest to come in on, but I still think he was the best guest. What's not to love about a half-orc Napoleon Dynamite?
>>
>>54064793
>Best guest
Not Mary
I politely disagree
>>
>>54064793
Jon Heder was good, definitely, but I think as characters Will/Mary made a much better showing of it. As much as being quirky and funny is nice for a guest, its good to have at least some depth to the characters too, and I think those two struck a nice balance.
>>
>>54064821
>>54064838
I can agree to that. Heder's character wasn't very strong but it was just great to see that he had a real desire to play the game.

Kerrek is a great character as well. Obviously having Patrick Rothfuss in your game is an asset -- he's a great writer. The letter he wrote for Kerrek to Keylith was exceptional and a really nice moment.
>>
Talking about guest chars: I liked Patrick Rothfuss a lot, and so I read his book, and it sucked. Don't read his book unless you're into Wizard School.
>>
>>54064847
The only problem I had with Rothfuss was that his playstyle was quite different to the others. Having 5 people acting things out and then having rothfuss just describe how Kerrek talked or acted felt a little odd. Not a problem per se, it just felt at odds with how the rest of the group was playing.

Apart from that he was pretty damn good though, and I'm basically just quibbling because I liked Kash so much.
>>
>>54014587
Are you OK? We're here if you need someone to talk to.
>>
Does anyone here watch Thrilling Intent? It's quite fun, doesn't take itself too seriously, and is helped by the fact all the episodes have artwork of characters talking instead of people faces.
>>
File: Ashley-Johnson.png (1MB, 1085x640px) Image search: [Google]
Ashley-Johnson.png
1MB, 1085x640px
>>54009292
do you think ashley likes it in the butt?
>>
>>54052669
>>54052809
She's the typical
>DM's Girlfriend
meta games like orion did but it's okay because she fucks mercer. it's okay when matt shuts down her shit sometimes or when he kills her for being an idiot.

She is as a player just terribly stupid, she shouldn't be allowed to play anything other than fighter, she has a special snowflake background, and pisses me off. I admit i enjoyed the show, listening to it while at work when i had nothing to do, but mostly Keyleth and Vex are why I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Like when they went to the fay wild to get the bow and shit, it's like they didn't pay attention to the back story at all and just decided to be the murder hobo's they are.
>>
I remember when I used to watch, they said they used to be called "S.H.I.T." (Super High Intensity Team), but some wanted to change it. I wonder if there's a correlation between those that didn't like that name and the worst players.
>>
>>54002738
>Even /tg/ has e-celeb faggots now

just shoot me
>>
>>54063370
My guess is she'll have to leave roughly late July or early August, and I can see them plowing through the rest of this final arc in that time.

> Deal with the fallout of how shitty their first encounter with the Big Bad went for their first episode, and the repercussions from it
> Spend next episode doing a "minor" quest to get some god-powered support and gearing up for the final fight
> Said final fight occurs
> One final episode for "epilogue" stuff and a bunch of questions for Matt from cast, crew, community about a bunch of random shit that they might be curious about

Ashley heads back to NYC for filming, they take a two-three week break to give Matt time to start working on the next campaign, they come back with new characters in the same world (Matt has said he'd like for the next campaign to take place ~30 years after VM's saga).
>>
>>54002738
>not even /tg/ can escape the eceleb threads anymore
I guess I'm finally getting too old for 4chan
>>
>>54065418
>One episode to prepare
You wish. Matt called this an 'arc' during the episode. We're talking Chroma Conclave again, running around gathering allies and equipment to fight the super big bad. I'd say we've got at least 10 episodes left.
>>
>>54065167
I just don't understand how, long term, people can prefer Vax to Vex. Vex started out being a non-character, but is played much better now than she used to be, while Vax went from edgy tryhard, to 3DGY TriHard who only is alive because Travis doesn't want to force pvp.
>>
>>54065418
I think Matt said that they'd try a few one-offs before starting up the next full campaign
>>
>>54065494
What would Grog and Vex fight over ?

And how badly would Grog kick his shit in if he decided to?
>>
>>54065550
Honestly every fight would be a stalemate. Vax can't kill grog, but grog can't kill Vax either unless he decides to show himself or come down out of the sky. The only way it could possibly happen is if they fought over a 'thing', to force an actual conflict.
>>
>>54065550
Vax has continually been a little shit to Grog. He's a prankster, and doesn't conceal it from Grog at all. Scanlan doesn't directly involve Grog, brings Grog in on, or doesn't let Grog realize it was him when he pulls his pranks.

Grog has gone to violence over far less than the shit Vax has pulled, but he doesn't because it's inter-party.

He almost always pulls his retaliations too, the worst being a shot to the groin.
>>
>>54065570
Sure, NOW. With taking 2 of the legendary items, and abusing boots of speed+++

I mean, think about it. Vax gets boots that cast Super Haste, without the downside of the haste spell, while Travis gets the Enlarge half of Enlarge/Reduce, on himself only, and as a barbarian he ALREADY HAS the strength advantages at will. So it's essentially, get bigger for 1d4 extra damage.
>>
>>54065648
Not that the haste thing isn't bullshit, but the exalted titanstone knuckles are pretty damn tough. Just looked up the official stats for them, and they give a whole bunch of stuff.

Also i'm pretty sure Grog wouldn't physically be able to roll high enough perception to see Vax, even about 5-6 levels ago. Rogues can stack skills to obnoxious level quite early, and grog has mediocre wisdom at best.
>>
>>54065478
The problem with that idea of it being a longer arc is that the Big Bad is NOT going to sit on his ass and twiddle his thumbs now that he's made it to the Material Plane.

Based on what Matt described, I think the Big Bad parked himself pretty damn close to the BIG cit in his world; you know, the one that's basically Vatican City + NYC + cradle of civilization for his homebrew world.

And he's got an army of undead ready to March on the shining beacon of light in the world, ready to knock it over like a Jenga tower.

They have DAYS at most to stop the Big Bad before he succeeds in his plan, and then the Material Plane is well and truly fucked, because now a God is walking around and the other deities can't do Jack shit because of their barrier between the Material Plane and their divine realms.

I think this last "filler" quest is going to be them doing a favor for the gods (if not breaking said divine barrier) and in return get bumped to max level and their artifacts fully powered to give them the best chance against the Big Bad.
>>
>>54065834
Where did he park himself? I thought it was in Westrhun or whatever its called (I've honestly got no idea where anything is in relation to anything else though, so idk). I wasn't aware it was near anywhere important.

My assumption is that its going to be a war. Vecna wasn't a god yet, as Matt pointed out, so I'd guess he's now going to park himself on his arse in his special city and go about whatever ritual he needs to do in order to become one, whilst VM runs around trying to rally people against him.

All speculation, obviously.
>>
>>54014587
If you'd wash your penis more frequently, you'd have less dick cheese, anon.
>>
>>54065882
We don't know specifically because the only person that asked (Keyleth) got like a 14 on her Nature check so all she got was, "it's cold and snowing, but there wasn't cold enough for snow in Whitestone when you left it like 36 hours ago."

Where as Vasselheim is located on a more northern continent and even a day or two track out of it leads to a lot of permafrost areas and snow capped mountains.

The other places are either the ruins of Draconia in Wildmount or some other place in Westrun or however it's spelled.

And yeah, he's not a god yet, but the fastest way to do it is by killing the holiest city on the Plane and then telling everyone left alive to worship him or become undead.
>>
>>54065882
For reference, Emon would be like some west coast city in the U.S., Whitestone is probably more akin to Boston. Wildmount is more akin to Eastern Europe in terms of climate, and Draconia would be like Sweden or Denmark.

Vasselheim is probably closer in terms of climate to a Canadian city that experiences chilly weather 7-8 months of the year, and almost immediately north of it is untamed pine forests, permafrost lands, and snow capped mountains, except for the one corner of it that's got a portal to the Fire Plane atop it and is more like an active volcano.

His desert continent would basically be the Sahara Desert plus some mountains thrown into it. He's got a fuck huge jungle south of some mountains in Exandria (the continent that Emon is on), but we've never been to it on stream, and have only seen it mentioned a few times.
>>
>>54066019
Oh don't worry, I know what the places are like, just not where they are relative to eachother (I know, a map is just one quick google away).

But yeah, its hard to gauge what the immediate threat level is without knowing exactly where BBEGVille has just appeared.

Did the guy even have much of an army? He's got a city full of cultists, but he left the gloomstalkers behind when he left the shadowfell.
I guess it really depends on how many lesser undead he can get hold of, to be honest.
Oh, and whether the cultists actually have any powers. If they're just dudes Vecna is in a pretty weak spot, if they're all lvl.12 wizards VM is gonna have some issues.
>>
File: shitjutgotreal.jpg (177KB, 848x1199px) Image search: [Google]
shitjutgotreal.jpg
177KB, 848x1199px
Will they have 25,000 gold pieces to resurrect Vax?
>>
>>54066378
Nope.
Raven Queen is probably gonna pull some horseshit, though. Maybe Revenant-ize him or something?
>>
I'm really hoping Matt remembers the time altering effects of leaving the Feywild. I really would like to see then jump 1 month or 1 year into the future and have them all die at the ends of Vecna as he would have had ample time to do all he needs.
>>
>>54066378
Fuck I knew there was going to be some good art after Sam made that comment
>>
>>54066472
Having them jump one year into the future would be cool, but having vecna just shit on them because of it would, while realistic, be the most unsatisfying ending to the series that I can think of.

Having them amble around in the world now ruled by Vecna would be pretty cool though.
>>
>>54064786
What apology did Matt give?
>>
>>54066730
It's a bit of a emotional rollercoaster, but he apologies in here: https://youtu.be/CCBfJBf-t2Y?t=1h20m7s
>>
>>54066730
It was on the most recent Q&A by G&S. It boiled down to "I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted for a gay character. Me and Sam are sorry it wasn't more respectful of the subject matter. Taldore is a very open-minded setting." Then he told a story about his gay uncle, which moved him to tears.

It was all very sad, but just seemed like the worst possible way to approach the issue.
>>
>>54066439
I really hope so, It would be a nice change of pace. Every death was this big reaction and then puff, they are back, everyone is happy.
>>
>>54066765
I don't think he intended to approach the way it was put in tho.
>>
>>54066779
Oh no, well the whole Q&A was on-the-spot so I can't say he planned it that way. But looking purely at results he's only going to encourage the whiners with that kind of response, because he showed them that by doing that they can have a genuine impact on him and the game.
>>
>>54066826
It's kind of sad you are right...
>>
Only D&D show I watch is Tabletop Escapades, but it's been a mess for dozens of episodes, I should have dropped it ages ago.
>>
>>54066826
The only reason that critical role is aired or as popular as it is is because of whiners like that. If matt goes "stfu I don't care what you think" the backlash would be bad and critical role (and possibly matt and everyone else) would suffer for it. To avoid that, you've gotta bend over backwards to cater to these people and agree with them because if they get upset or offended or whatever and stop supporting you, then you have nothing
>>
>>54067495
Not responding would be the best approach in that case. They them burn themselves out complaining.
>>
>>54069603
But that just makes too much sense anon
>>
>>54029841
>there will be a discussion
How'd he say it?
>>
>>54071334
Literally those words.
>>
>>54071362
I think Anon wanted to know the tone.
Was it firm? Chastising? Calm? Apologetic?
>>
>>54071410
Marisha. There will be a discussion. = Shut up about it
So firm, if you want a precise answer.
>>
>>54063514
I remember the moment the show actually got frustrated with the fans. It was when they had to say "no more gifts, stop sending us real knives and stuffed bears, donate to charity
>>
>>54066513
What happened?
>>
>>54066766
>fan base freaks out when character dies
>literally forget that death has no meaning in Matt's game
>>
>>54072200
Everyone was dying to vecna, and someone joked that taryon, sam's alternate character, was just at home drinking tea. Sam pointed out that Taryon would actually be on the floor crying because this death-warning necklace (gives a pulse when the wearer of another amulet goes down) they made for the whole party earlier would be flashing like crazy.
>>
File: Uncrittered.jpg (34KB, 590x298px) Image search: [Google]
Uncrittered.jpg
34KB, 590x298px
>>
>>54073260
What's the shirt say?
>>
What even happened wth Taryon that got people in a tizzy?
>>54072238
People say this, but Matt's homebrew requirements for rez are actually stricter than 5e standard. 1st time is at least D.C. 15 (rather than 10), can only rez twice, three times is dicey
>>
>>54074446
Cont
And even then, if the player doesn't want the char back, they stay dead. The party is basically convincing the char/player to keep going, but the player/char can just say "nope" and fuck off into the void
>>
Whats the name of the yogscast table top channel/podcast?
>>
>>54074191
"Hi, I'm Tiberius Stormwind" or something like that
>>
>>54074446
>>54074462
Yet everyone comes back without a problem.
>>
>>54074552
They honestly haven't had as many opportunities as people seem to think they have.
My bone to pick is with the actually lethality - it seems like threats are always softballed to make things easier. Like one anon said: the ancient dragons all kind of acted like they'd been feebleminded, minus Raishan. A cynical person would suggest that since fans like the characters and are attached to them, the show has a vested interest in keeping them alive, rather than just have a char die and reroll. I am a cynical man.
>>
>>54065037
I hope she does.
>>
>>54074498
Their DnD 5e stream is called High Rollers. It's uploaded to their YogsLive youtube channel.

They have a tabletop gaming channel as well called GamesNight, though it hasn't been updated in months.
>>
>>54074877
It's a shame because if you read over his resurrection homebrew, it looks like it would be difficult to bring someone back to life, but in practice it's piss easy.
>>
>>54077627
i think they've just been generally pretty damn lucky
they usually roll really well on their contributions, and if you succeed two or three of those, matt just needs to roll from like 3-20
>>
>>54077685
I can't wait for them to fail a resurrection
>>
>>54077929
I want Vax's ritual to go off without a hitch, but Liam says "nah, Vax is okay with staying dead plus RQ says it's his time, imma make a wizard next"
>>
>>54078001
Nah Vax is gonna come back because of his love for Keyleth
>>
>>54078001
if this wasn't the final arc, i could see that happening, but there's just no real way to introduce a high level character to the party and have it make much sense, unless it's one of matt's npcs
>>
>>54078220
Final arc, you say? What do they have planned next?
Hoping for something sci fi
>>
>>54078278
they're gonna do an entire new campaign, i assume within the same world, but perhaps focused on a different continent
but that means all new characters for everyone, should be interesting, especially if they fail to defeat vecna
>>
>>54065882
I sincerely hope they pussyfoot around like they always do ignoring all pressing need to address the threat and Vecna just up and wins. Mercer won't do it, just like how he will never let anyone other than Vax die because muh Raven queen. If the final confrontation doesn't end with over half of them dead he has failed.
>>
>>54078826
i mean they almost all died from the newly awakened vecna, if he gets any stronger there's a good chance a lot of them die
>>
>>54078874
I can see him pulling punches because his players(besides a few) throw an absolute shit-fit when he does anything dangerous. I'm cynical that the same man who home brewed some of the most OP magic items around to deal with non-threatening dragons besides Raishon. Vecna better be a world ender is all I'm saying. They get off to light even with his harder revive dc.
>>
>Doesn't pass the dialogue check even with Mercer all but telling him the proper answer
>Comes back anyways
This is truly the pinnacle of shit writing.
>>
>>54079293
>Is there ANYTHING else I should know?
>Muh family...
>Fine.

To be fair, I don't think it's bad writing. There's an intended narrative here, and what alternative would be more interesting?
>>
>>54079293
vax can be pretty fucking dense
if he just said ascend to godhood, i bet he would have been shot to level 20 and returned
>>
I watched an episode, had no clue where they started from, what they were doing, where they were. It was starting 6 seasons in to a 20 season show

Didn't finish the episode, I'd rather watch something right from the start
>>
File: 1428382460083.gif (536KB, 381x512px) Image search: [Google]
1428382460083.gif
536KB, 381x512px
OH MY GOD MATT JUST LET SOMEONE FUCKING

D
I
E

this show has no fucking consequence. not a single fucking character has stayed dead.
>>
>>54079721
Let me guess Vax, "The dead should stay dead" came back from the dead without a problem?
>>
>>54079747
he's a revenant for the raven queen, so if they kill vecna a character will FINALLY be dead for real
but marisha went into break saying she wants to fuck with the contract because shes a dumb cunt
>>
>>54079747
he's a revenant without any of the negatives of being a revenant because matt is too fucking scared to kill his friend's pcs
>>
>>54079747
Sorta.

The Raven Queen brought him back as a Revenant, his job being to go perma-kill Vecna, and told him to have VM go to the other divine planes and get the blessings of the other main gods to power them up for the final confrontation, but to not dally too long before Vecna fucks up the world.

The more annoying part is the literal 40 minutes of, "how are you back?" and, "is this a trick by the Big Bad" that happened following him returning to life and showing up naked in their campsite.
>>
File: Vecna vs Kas.jpg (74KB, 702x853px) Image search: [Google]
Vecna vs Kas.jpg
74KB, 702x853px
>>54079804
>more annoying part is the literal 40 minutes of, "how are you back?" and, "is this a trick by the Big Bad" that happened following him returning to life and showing up naked in their campsite.
To be fair that should be a legitimate concern when dealing with Vecna.

Since Vecna is end game boss are we going to see based fuck Kas?
>>
>>54079854
didn't kas get fucked?
>>
>>54079854
Oh, I agree it's a valid concern. Still, annoying to see play out on camera, but they have to because even if they know he's back as a Revanent OOC (which I think only Taliesin and eventually Travis realized how he came back until Keyleth basically made him say how long he's back for), IC they don't know.

I'm thinking the Death Knight they fought is Kas, or probably Silus Briarwood revived (again) as a Kas stand-in.
>>
>>54079800
I used to think Matt was a good DM. He's just a good voice actor. He gives his friends insanely strong custom magic items. He revives his players because his players couldn't do it themselves. It's all an illusion of a game. But it's not a game because there's no chance of losing.
>>
>>54079939
>But it's not a game because there's no chance of losing.

this. Critical Role isn't a DnD game anymore, there's no sense of failure or risk of losing. now it's just an improvisational show.
>>
Matt the Too Merciful Mercer
>>
File: Resurrection Rules.jpg (214KB, 720x828px) Image search: [Google]
Resurrection Rules.jpg
214KB, 720x828px
>>54079918
>>54079939
>But it's not a game because there's no chance of losing.

I don't know the entire revive process would debate this.
>>
>>54079899
Kas almost always gets fucked by Vecna in the end, but it's the lore around Kas that makes him so cool. Kas is also why Vecna has a missing hand and eye, and his sword being the - normally - only thing that can truly kill Vecna.

And admittedly, for as strong as Kas is, it's physical might and being a shrewd battle tactician that's kept him alive. He doesn't wield arcane magic thousands of years old and breed a network of spies and followers by giving half-truths and hushed whispers of his existence and power throughout the multiverse like Vecna.
>>
>>54079989
That's just you falling for the illusion.
>>
I will admit, I do like how Matt is starting to reveal more of the Revenant subrace traits to the group.

For reference, Matt told Vax about the Revenant "target" radar from his distance to his marked foe.

Also, the distance given by Matt is ~350-400 miles away from Vasselheim in the northwest direction. So it basically did confirm that Vecna did pop himself onto the same continent as Vasselheim.
>>
>>54080278
yeah, that's cool and all but vax shouldnt even be here, it's super lame. i know have no sense of tension whenever there's a fight
>>
>>54079804
Oh Jesus fucking christ this arc is going to take forever, should have been a few episodes tops.
>>
>>54079721
It's not a consequence when the campaign is over either way.
>>54079939
Can't wait for him to blow all of Vecna's good shit on Vax so they can take turns playing whack the pinata like all of his encounters are. Worst part is we have months of them doing inane shit before the showdown because Lord knows he won't drop the hammer on them for puttering around on other planes collecting boons that are going to put the vestiges to shame.
>>
File: 1339098215147.jpg (50KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1339098215147.jpg
50KB, 406x364px
>lol we were so close! we almost stayed a long time in the fey wild!
>lol ya, that was close! it was a close roll i totally made!

fuck off matt, we know you're a liar now. god forbid your precious pcs have any sort of risk of failure
>>
>>54080541
I mean, there's still that chance of it only being a 2-3 episode "recruiting" up the aid of the gods before the final confrontation with Vecna.
>>
>>54014587
why is rooster teeth mentioned three times?
>>
>>54080660
Nah son, going to be a minimum of one ep per character each with a test. With how they play and how dnd can get in general we are looking at 10 minimum. Going to be months.
>>
and then you get a grog and scanlan segment and all is forgiven
>>
>>54079764
>but marisha went into break saying she wants to fuck with the contract because shes a dumb cunt

Really? The girl who wanted to pick a fight with an Ancient Green Dragon in the middle of the only intact city on the continent wants to go and potentially try to fuck over a literal god?

I'm not surprised.

Disappointed that her character hasn't seemed to learn a god damn thing, but honestly not surprised.

Why didn't falling from the height of the Empire State Building not instantly and permanently kill her character?
>>
>>54080846
>only intact city on the continent
Vasselheim was still around, that bit temple city place.

>>54080755
It was actually pretty funny how things spiraled so completely out of control.
>>
>>54080846
She should play a 6 int, 6 Wis, 6 cha character next campaign. She isn't qualified for anything else.
>>
>>54081221
i have to say, i think i'm most excited for travis to play a non retard, and all the romances being gone
>>
>>54081159

Vasselheim is on a different continent, though.
>>
>>54081246
Same, he's easily the best player at the table. Both in terms of RP and playing. I'm sick of this campaign honestly.
>>
>>54081303
it must be so frustrating for him, you could see his potential in the thief one shot, but he has to listen to dumb fuck marisha be the voice of the tempest and vox machina
>>
>>54063514
This, I never really knew about DnD until this show and I've been a DM for a couple of months now, found my favorite hobby through a random twitch watch one night.
>>
>>54081221
A bit harsh, but I get the sentiment.

I'd be happy seeing her do anything non-magical.

Because she obviously doesn't know how to effectively play a druid.

And she doesn't seem to understand what the stats actually represent.

Because Keyleth, as played, certainly doesn't live up to WIS 22.

Even CHA 10 is average, and not socially awkward.

>>54081246
Travis as Grog has some of the best moments.

But Grog's lack of Intelligence, which Travis plays excellently, seem to prevent him from offering tactically sound plans that he has come up with because Grog isn't smart enough to come up with the idea.
>>
One thing I've enjoyed is watching them all come along as players. Mainly Sam, as I play a bard in a long running campaign myself, and there was a long time I would find myself screaming at him to DO something.
When Tali tried to talk him into blowing his spell right before they planeshifted away from Vecna, and he said no, I fucking cheered. He's been so much more ON IT these last few battles, though the Vassel-whatever scrap with the guard he dropped the ball a bit. I get the feeling that he a is the prepper type, and if he generally know what he is going into and gives a shit he is spot on.
>>
>>54081453
It's harsh but predicated on literally a hundreds of hours of watching her fail time and time again to play well, think, speak and honestly do well. I don't hate her as a person or anything but she shouldn't be a face, smart or wise character. Doesn't have the chops.
>>
>>54081691
yeah, as someone who has seen the entire series, i'm sure at the beginning i thought it was just her inexperienced character trait, but at this point, she's still the same fumbly mess while almost every other character has grown
the only difference between her at the start and now is results from being an accessory to a successful group
>>
travis gets so much dick sucking from the community but when it was his time to shine all he could repeat was his shit game of thrones lines " bend the knee" 9000 times

roleplaying a reckless idiot and the easiest class in the game isnt hard.
>>
>>54081691
Fair enough. I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

Having watched god only knows how many hundreds of hours of the show as well, I know how little the character has changed or grown over 100+ episodes, and how often she is the source of bad ideas and actions that result in either her, or her friends, getting knocked unconscious multiple times, nearly dying multiple times, and actually dying and requiring resurrection multiple times.

It's tiring, annoying, and something that you'd think would have been addressed at some point over the campaign.

But she's still the same ditz that she was at the start of the show.

Yeah she makes some poor fucking choices.

But 6 INT is Grog-level dumb.

And even there, I think Travis is playing Grog as a bit higher than 6 INT.
>>
People are complaining Matt isn't lethal enough. It's not Matt, it's the system.

The system is not lethal enough, at the level they're at, death is not a huge problem anymore mechanically. Matt has made efforts to make death still a huge problem. At the level they're at it's very hard to stay dead if you don't want to.
>>
>>54081974
I'm just not wanting her in any position of power or knowledge. Like you stated, she is flat out the biggest detriment of the group and the worst player at the table. It's gotten extremely old. I don't think I could stomach her playing Keyleth 2.0. She almost ruins the show for me. 100% "that girl".
>>
>>54082083
Prior to just now, when disintigrate came into play it wasn't lethal enough. He waited until they had true res to throw anything dangerous at them. I agree that 5e is low lethal, but the dude has thrown an amazing amount of crazy OP items at them and softballed in HP bag after HP bag the entire campaign. Raishon and Vecna are the two most lethal things they've fought and damn near the only real casters as well. Everything else has been some sort of creature that just attacks one guy or breath weapons they are keyed off against prefight so they can prep.

I blame that it's a public show, if he actually did kill them or try to present a challenging encounter, the internet would reem him hard. It's a shame.
>>
>>54082083
Goddamit I want a short gritty campaign by Liam now, just to cleanse my palate. Judging by his oneshots, he would do way better than Mercer at being merciless. Heads are gonna roll.
>>
>>54082083
the fuck are you talking about? being disintegrated, turned to ash, then brought back as a revenant is not a rules issue, that was matt's conscious decision to bring vax back into the game with zero consequence
>>
>>54082176
I am waiting for the moment the party sees Vax's wounds close on their own. There'll be some interparty conflict, although I am pretty sure nothing of consequence will happen again.
Although some of my parties started PvPing after less.
>>
>>54082216
what really bothers me is that matt wont even commit to making vax full revenant. he doesn't look like a corpse, he bleeds, and he has a heart beat
>>
>>54082170
>when disintigrate came into play it wasn't lethal enough

It plenty was, it just never killed them when they were hit with it before. This time it did because they were already really low on hitpoints and Vax was grounded and automatically being hit, so his AC mean't shit all.

>He waited until they had true res to throw anything dangerous at them

That's a lie. Did you forget one of the most tense battles, motherfucking Kevdak?
>>
>>54082262
Revenant subrace, not monster.
>>
They almost got campaign over in the nine hells, I dont see Matt pulling any punches. He also tried to counterspell the plane shift. I never saw him not do something that would have ended the campaign just to spare them, they only got lucky on the rolls.
>>
>>54082262
Well, you know, UA Revenant is really vague on these details. Matt's description sound similar to zombies in the iZombie (normie-tier TV series, but eh, gets a decent laugh out of me every once in a while, whatever). Slow heartbeat, visible, but not serious bleeding. IMO, it's more fitting to the Revenant than outright undeath - they're supposed to be different: immune to turning, regenerating, affected by positive energy, etc.
>>
raishan in treasure horde > ripley > raishan in opash's cave > brairwoods > kevdak > every other fight > leviathan
>>
>>54082321
>affected by positive energy

I don't think that's a thing anymore? It's radiant damage now.
>>
>>54082334
if you're talking near death or difficulty, i dont think the ripley fight was actually that bad
at worst like 2 people would have died
raishan in the horde and kevdak were insanely close to tpks
>>
>>54082170
I kind of feel like he did the Revenant thing with Liam primarily because he wanted to sidestep True Res, and also keep Marisha from going completely OOC (since she'd always been so serious about never using it because it wouldn't fit her character, then as soon as it looks like they need it she's ready to whip it out all day long). He was definitely telling her to quiet down about it last week when he outright cut her off and said "there'd be a discussion".

>>54082170
The Kraken fucked them up as well. Partly because Marisha didn't just wild shape into a fucking WATER ELEMENTAL on the PLANE OF WATER, but still.
>>
>>54082341
Nah, I'm talking about healing spells. Nothing in the rules against healing these guys, since Revenant subrace isn't technically undead.
>>
>>54082384
Ah, right.
>>
>>54082376
i just meant in terms of entertainment
>>
>>54082376
Raishan was the only time I felt like Matt was actually playing dangerously, every other near TPK is them being retarded. Especially in hell recently. They made that dangerous, not him. And I'd say almost every near TPK is Keyleths doing.
>>
Can anyone remember any battles where VM did any decent tactical planning? The only ones jumping to mind are two fights with duergar queen in the early episodes.
>>
>>54082549
i'd say in context, kevdak was the hardest encounter they've faced, although you could argue going into that encounter in the first place was retarded

>>54082627
i'd say the umbrasyl trap worked pretty well considering how quickly it was thrown together, but then they dimension doored into the stomach which was fairly retarded
>>
I feel like they wanna plan more but know any big battle is gonna take two hours already and Matt will never stop a session mid battle, and they have the pressure of getting to dictate how many hours a 10-15ppl crew gets to work that evening. So they always wanna rush to the point in the story where the fight starts so that they can finish it early
>>
>>54082627
>>54082657
the white dragon fight was probably the best plan they ever had
>>
>>54082549
>I'd say almost every near TPK is Keyleths doing.
Again why is she Vox Machina's leader? I mean shit literally anyone else is more qualified.
>>
>>54082627
When they had Mary and Will on for the prelude to the Thordak fight, they (and by 'they' I mean Kash/Will) were able to help develop a plan for the army to get through the city walls, and them remembering that even if they were at odds with The Clasp, having "order" restored means their business operation of being the criminal underworld of Emon can go back into some semblance of structure versus tyrannical rule being caused by a increasingly psychotic, Fire Plane fueled Ancient Red Dragon was better for them in the long run, let them use said tunnels to bypass most of the forces and dive right into the heart of the dragon's lair (mostly).

The Kevdak fight was probably one that they should have lost (and potentially TPKed at), but Scanlan having Hold Person up on the two biggest foes for so long (Kevdak and his Druid ally) let them basically plow through Kevdak's Bear totem HP and neutralize him for most of the fight while the others tried to keep the other Barbarians at play.

Matt has also said that if Grog wasn't the one to get the killing blow, the barbarian herd would've kept fighting and just tore Grog to bits along with the rest of VM and just burned the town to ash (remember, he was KOed from falling damage after hitting the ground with the bisection killing blow of Kevdak).
>>
>>54083894
They have a very clear lack of "leader" in the group, even if a few of the others are definitely capable of it:

- Vex knows a lot of hunting stuff and is usually the one that helps the group sneak past all these encounters to get right at the big boss man, along with being the team's banker and one of the better 'silver tongues' of the group.

- Percy knows how to be a conniving wordsmith and (now) knows where the line is between grasping for power and getting too deep into a debt or traveling too far into the dark for his goals.

- Scanlan can charm the pants off of ANYONE, and very rarely will anyone ever catch him lying about something. And he tends to lie a LOT.

- Pike re-trained into a War Cleric when they transferred to 5e, she should know at least some basic army/battle tactics stuff.

But instead they defer to the "font of wisdom and Voice of the Tempest" that is Keyleth, the literal emotional train wreck who can't even keep herself together without spiraling into a well of self-doubt and self-loathing.

Personally, I hope that for next campaign it's just Liam, Laura, Travis, Sam, and Taliesin, and maybe they add in someone like Will or Mary. I don't think Ashley will be able to play thanks to her filming in NYC for 7-8 months of the year, and I really don't think Marisha will want to deal with the community backlash again if she ends up making another character like Keyleth.
>>
>>54083894
She kind of just appointed herself leader, and doing her personal quest to become the voice person or whatever it was also gave her that bonus leadership inspiration feat even though she doesn't actually qualify for it.

Sam I'm pretty sure was poking fun at her every time he had his artificer character praise her for her leadership skills, because his bard spent far more time doing the talking and convincing than anybody else.
>>
>>54083931
Kevdak fight was easily the most interesting encounter in the series. I like critical role ok, but Mercer should know that D&D isn't a fucking video game. Every big encounter except Kevdak was one big bad with maybe 1 or 2 lackeys and they had huge pools of hp. It's lame
>>
>>54083894
>>54084008
>>54084022
it's because she's matt's girlfriend
>>
>>54084335
the raishan fights and ripley were way better than kevdak
>>
>>54084008
fuck Will

dream team is sam, tal, travis, laura, and matt as dm (so long as he grows a pair and is ok with killing pc's)
>>
>>54084449
>no mary e mcglynn
neck urself my man
>>
>>54084435
There was story driven tension yes, but speaking strictly of battles the Kevdak fight was the most interesting.
>>
>>54084462
she's cool but i can't see her as a long lasting player

>>54084466
i disagree, the pure panic that raishan invokes with the hiding, eliminating buffs, powerful spells, and natural abilities is great

also, the ripley fight was the kevdak fight but cooler
>>
>>54084487
but the ripley fight wasnt even that close really
there were so many moments in the kevdak fight where one wrong decision was a tpk
>>
>>54084508
it's actually been a long time since i watched the kevdak fight, i don't even the episode number. i know percy got fucked fighting ripley but was even else in the kevdak fight close to death?

also, i like the presentation of the ripley fight more. i liked that it was a glass forest and i like ripley as a character more than kevdak
>>
>>54084508
The Ripley fight was only a problem because Percy and Vex were doing all the tanking, Percy in particular because he kept going down and then popping up once healed only to get knocked down again when he was focus fired.

And those two are shit at tanking, especially when the fight started with a fireball dropped on the group followed by Ripley using Blink all the time to stay ahead of them.

>>54084487
I don't think Raishan should have been able to dispel the Heroes' Feast, but I'd have probably made the same call, since otherwise the entire party'd be immune to one of her two best damage abilities.
>>
>>54084526
grog was surrounded by 4 barbarians, and they were 1 round away from legit killing him because they all got 2 attacks each
vex went and picked him up in the necklace, provoking 4 attacks of opportunity and taking like 50 damage
she then drops grog on kevdaks head to get the killing blow with a nat 20, and matt has stated that if anyone but grog got the final blow, the horde would have kept attacking, and most of VM was at least half hp if not even closer, and they hadn't taken out more than 1 of 12~ enemies
it was an insanely close fight when pretty crazy rolls when it mattered

i agree with you on ripley as a character, kevdak was just a boring big bad brute, but in terms of the fight itself, i gotta go with kevdak
>>
>>54084573
that doesnt seem so bad, if the barbarians kept attacking they could have left, they have so many options for gtfo-ing
>>
>>54084587
keep in mind this was pre planeshifting, and they were all super spread out, and every single enemy was alive
the four barbarians meant that the second grog went down, he was dead, and those 4 hitting anyone else would've almost killed that person in one round
>>
Post funniest fan art
>>
File: 1339373515975.jpg (18KB, 470x336px) Image search: [Google]
1339373515975.jpg
18KB, 470x336px
>>54084674
i always have a mix a cringe, rage, and joy whenever the LOUD as fuck community art segment is shown. some of it is great, about half of it is retarded virtue signaling

>how do i show people how progressive i am?
>i know, i'll just draw everyone black!
>>
>>54084712
the amount of completely generic tumblr art with every character having a middle eastern tan with the tumblr noses is mind boggling
then there's shit like this
>>
>>54012108
I think we can agree Will Wheaton is worst guess
>>
>>54084758
i'd say fate agrees, the dice refused to let his awful edgy character succeed at anything
>>
>>54084753
if you've got anymore, by all means
>>
>>54084775
Edgy? He made a dorf fighter who had a daughter he loved but didn't talk much about
>>
File: 8871906_orig.jpg (198KB, 563x800px) Image search: [Google]
8871906_orig.jpg
198KB, 563x800px
>>54084827
Not him, but here is some of the same artist.
>>
>>54085033
Yup, that's the- Oh, you're being sarcastic. Gotcha.
>>
File: 7331182_orig.jpg (170KB, 567x800px) Image search: [Google]
7331182_orig.jpg
170KB, 567x800px
>>54084827
>>
>>54081246
You know as soon as they start a new campaign they're going to create new romances, right?
>>
>>54085634
i mean, it took them like 3.5 years of playing to start doing it, so hopefully they wait a bit
>>
>>54084712
If you're comp-laining about how that one pic makes Scanlan look like a gypsy, well, consider Scanlan's entire backstory and tell me he isn't a gypsy

If that isn't the case and you're just complaining about the ocean of shitty critical role fanart, I apologise for making a silly assumption
>>
>>54084712
>how do i show people how progressive i am?
>i know, i'll just draw everyone black!

Supposedly Lady Kima was described as having some kind of darker skin tone, but not actually black.

I'd imagine something more like a Mediterranean look. Greek or southern Italian maybe.

And then there's Gilmore and Jarret who are some kind of Arab analog.

Other than that, who gets drawn as dark skinned who shouldn't be?
>>
>>54085643
But now the fans expect it and a large chunk of them will start shipping the PCs as soon as they can and the fanartists will start playing with different combos until the other fans latch onto one and the the players will have to choose being forced into relationships or upsetting their tumblrfans
>>
>>54086501
The only pairing that ever made any sense to me was Vex and Percy.

Vax and Keyleth feels forced and unnatural. Although I must admit "We have one hour. *fade to feathers*" was a brilliant line from Liam. But that's the problem, Liam seems to be putting in all the effort as Vax, with little to nothing from Keyleth for him to bounce off of.
>>
>>54086588
i love how almost everything awful in the show can be reduced down to keyleth being a terrible character and marisha being a terrible player
>>
>>54086606
Keyleth isn't a "terrible" character, merely subpar and a bit snowflake-ish

She'd be far, far better if actually played by someone who's actually capable of playing the character on the sheet, as opposed to someone entirely different
>>
>>54086606
How do you play pretty much weekly for 2 years and still not know how your spells work?

Or the names of them for that matter?

How often does she say "Tree Stride" when she actually means "Transport Via Plants"?

I hate to pick on her, because I'm sure she does actually enjoy playing, but she hasn't improved.

And I'm not sure if that's just the character who hasn't learned anything from 2 years of weekly play, or if Marisha herself hasn't learned anything from 2 years of weekly play.

>>54086665
As soon as I figured out that her personal quest was a blatant Avatar rip-off, I kinda figured we wouldn't get much from her as a character.

And that's the thing really, she seems to think of the game as her own personal anime, but the tone just doesn't fit with the game everyone else seems to be playing.
>>
>>54086849
This is why Marisha is so perfect as an example of how not to play D&D

She doesn't just do one thing wrong, she does EVERYTHING wrong. She makes an over-the-top mary sue character, hogs the spotlight, fails to accurately portray the character on hr sheet to an extreme degree, tries to cheat with her spells, doesn't read her own spells and forces the DM to try and do that for her, tries to force the party to follow her plan when her plans are objectively stupid...

It's honestly kind of incredible how one person can possibly embody so many aspects of "problem players" all at once, and on top of that she's the DM's girlfriend, it's honestly kind of hard to believe
>>
>>54086241
literally everyone else
>>
>>54086665
>Keyleth isn't a "terrible" character

Her character is a mary sue. I can go on but we all know it's true.

Marisha's self-insert with Avatar the last Airbender background isn't a good character.
>>
>>54086178
>Scanlan's entire backstory and tell me he isn't a gypsy
>Mother died
>Joined Circus
>Got really good at music
He isn't a gypsy
>>
>>54082627
LOL, no. That's why when Kash steps in, they practically have an orgasm because finally someone can do all the thinking for them.

Travis / Grog player is actually pretty smart, but since he's so committed to the role he just bites his tongue a lot

You see the day's about to break though in recent episodes
>>
>>54087276
I hope Travis plays a Wizard next game. You can tell Travis thought "A big dumb super strong barbarian would be fun to play; I'll just mow through all my enemies" when he first made Grog. Then he realized "Oh shit, social situations, planning and exploring are awesome, I wish I knew this about D&D" but he was stuck with his dumb barbarian. I like that he fell in love with D&D and will learn from his mistake.
>>
>>54087361
>You can tell Travis thought "A big dumb super strong barbarian would be fun to play; I'll just mow through all my enemies" when he first made Grog.
He's talked about it at cons. He was a bit late to Liam's birthday party, which is where the campaign originally started (as a birthday gift one-shot for him). They said "hey, we're playing D&D, what do you want to play?" to which he responded "uh, conan?" (or something) and when asked for the name blurted out "Grog". Then they decided to keep the game going afterwards, developed actual backstory for their characters, and usually went to Travis and Laura's place to play it.
>>
>>54084758

I don't remember his character. I don't remember which episode or during which story arc he appeared. I don't even remember him being on the show. And I even don't hate him.... Shows how forgetable he is I guess?
>>
>>54085621
Nope. Thats the opposite of edge, a character so underwritten that he's barely there.
>>
>>54086849
It's worse than that. The game is older than the show - it was their house game for like 3 years before. Then G/S said "wanna put it online?"
So it's more like 5 years.
>>
>>54087619
It was one of the Slayers Take episodes. He was a Dwarf that was supposed to be this expert monster hunter, but since Wesley Crusher apparently can't roll higher than a 5, with an unbelievable number of Natural 1s, the character started to look more like an incompetent parody of a highly skilled monster slayer.
>>
>>54087812
Yeah, but those games were something like once a month or once every six weeks.

The vast majority of play time for the entire campaign has been the weekly shows on Geek & Sundry.
>>
File: IMG_9765.jpg (310KB, 1233x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9765.jpg
310KB, 1233x1920px
>>54087174
Tfw scanlan is based off Eminem
>>
I wish the next campaign was in some different setting, shadowrun would be my ideal to see what the talented people on the cast could do with it

I cant imagine anything more boring then watching them rediscover the same world and fight the same monsters for second time, with special guest appearances from their first characters older versions to wink at the audience

I JUST WANT MATT MERCER PLAYING A SHADOWRUN DRAGON
>>
>>54089417
I assume they're going to stick with the same world, but go to a part of it that their current campaign hasn't really seen too much.

They've barely explored Wildmount or Marquet at all.
>>
>>54006404
Background noise while I paint minis, sometimes it's CR sometimes it's big dave meltzer but I just need the noise.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.