[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 438
Thread images: 46

File: Beast conclave ranger.png (778KB, 1000x896px) Image search: [Google]
Beast conclave ranger.png
778KB, 1000x896px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>53938028

How do we fix artificer?
>>
>>53947083
by not posting shitty pokemon pics
>>
>>53947083
Where's the list of possible character options gone?
>>
>>53947083
We've just started playing D&D 5e and I made the character conversion for my players. From the 5etools-Link i saw, that there is a revised version of the ranger. Is this version the new "official" one I've created the characters using the PHB. I assume the revision was for balancing reasons?
>>
>>53947285
Coincidence? >>53947083
>>
File: spongebob.jpg (38KB, 480x729px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob.jpg
38KB, 480x729px
In the past few threads, I've seen people discuss whether warlocks should use int or cha for casting. It is well-known that in the 5e playtests warlocks used intelligence, but complaints from filthy 3aboos pushed the designers to make it charisma instead. However, I submit that neither is an appropriate casting stat.

Intelligence is the casting stat used by wizards, as well as eldritch knights and arcane tricksters. In each of these cases, the character's spellcasting ability is gained through careful study and understanding of magical processes. While some warlocks do delve into tomes to find their patron, this itself does not give them their arcane abilities, and there are plenty of warlocks who meet their patron some other way.

Charisma, on the other hand, is used by paladins, sorcerers, and bards. For each of these classes, magic is an expression of the self, whether that be a sorcerer's heritage, a paladin's willpower, or a bard's emotional expression. Supporters of the chalock argue that charisma is necessary for a warlock to bargain with his patron, but, again, this is not the source of the warlock's power, only the method of first catching the patron's attention. And, again, not all warlocks find their patrons the same way; it is explicitly stated in the player's handbook that some warlocks don't even realize what is happening when they make their pact.

Indeed, it has become clear that a warlock's power comes not from arcane study or the power of the self, but from a deal made with a powerful being. What other class gets its power from such an entity? The cleric, of course. Similarly, both druids and rangers get their power from nature, which, while not exactly an entity, is certainly a powerful outside source. And what casting stat do clerics, druids, and rangers use? Wisdom.

Thus, it is quite obvious that wisdom should be the casting stat for warlocks. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>53947303
It isn't """official""" but it's basically an update meant to fix the ranger's problems, yes. I see no reason not to use it.

>>53947319
What this
>>
>>53947083
Mm yes Misty, punish me
>>
When Tomb of Annihilation comes out?
>>
>>53947462
September
>>
Anyone know if Oath of Redemption is any good?
>>
>>53947345
A Warlock is basically whoring himself out to his patron. To be successful, he's gotta look cute. Therefore, CHA makes the most sense.
>>
>>53947345
seems reasonable, good post
>>
>>53947473
It's nice rather than good.
>>
Let's say a character became an NPC. What's a good way to convert player level to CR?
>>
I am going to play Evocation Wizard and you can't stop me. Point-blank Fireball is going to be so much fun.
>>
>>53947645
Compare AC and HP to the chart in the DMG.

Average the 3 highest damage rounds the character could pull off consecutively, assuming 2 targets hit by multitarget abilities when applicable. Compare to hit bonus and save DCs to the chart in the DMG.

Get an average of offensive and defensive CR for final CR.
>>
>>53947518
CHA has nothing to do with appearance though?

Charisma is force of will, you can be hideous and still be charismatic.

Just like you can be pretty, and weak-willed.
>>
File: 1490628430746.png (20KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
1490628430746.png
20KB, 250x222px
>>53947681
>>
>>53947645
Recreate then from ground up using Monster creation rule.

5e NPC and PC rule are separate for a reason.
>>
File: 1495063052339.png (2MB, 1238x1631px) Image search: [Google]
1495063052339.png
2MB, 1238x1631px
So has anyone here ran or played through TftYP Dead in Thay adventure? I'm about to start running it and I'm curious for suggestions to make it both more interesting and more challenging, as well as how long it took your group to get through it. Knowing my party, they will probably try to explore every single room before moving to the final parts of the dungeon. They did this with the hidden shrine of Tamoachan and it took us two months to get through it. All suggestions and tips are welcome.
>>
"Can I do (x) with my magic?"
>"is (x) a spell in the books?"
"No."
>"then no."

Fuck being a player again.
>>
>>53947083
Make artificers half-casters or spell-less. A third-caster that isn't an archetype feels weird.
>>
>>53947794
> Not choosing a flexible spell
Shape Water is so much fun
>>
>>53947794
I'd be inclined to allow this if you could justify one of your spells as being tangentially related to what you're actually trying to do.

Doesn't have to be an exact match, but if you don't know *anything* about burning shit, and you wanna burn shit, that's too bad.

>>53947083
Make Mechanized Servant its own archetype. Make it a half, or possibly even full caster. Maybe even make Alchemist a different class entirely, and focus on this whole idea of magical engineering for the artificer.
>>
>>53947834
Take the robot out and make it into another archetype too.
>>
File: okay.png (135KB, 278x262px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
135KB, 278x262px
>>53947681
>Wow I can use a devastating spell but take away the fun and flavourful backblast and just basically be a volley ranger that does fire damage I guess but has limited shots but they're more reliable
>>
>>53947794
that's what sorcerers are for, in theory
>>
I'm making a Warforged Fighter.

Should I use a Transformer or a Bionicle name?
>>
>>53947983
Youre more likely to get away with a bionicle name
But a transformer name might get more laffs
>>
>>53947518
>I roll to seduce the archfey
makes sense
>I roll to seduce the fiend
plausible
>I roll to seduce the great old one
what the fuck?
>I roll to seduce the undying
nigguh wut yuh even tryin tuh do
>>
>>53947983
www.fantasynamegenerators.com/transformers-names.php#
>>
Does this general have a discord server?
>>
>>53948089
>>I roll to seduce the great old one
>what the fuck?
>>
>>53948089

This is how i Bard.
>>
>>53947794
Meanwhile:
>"Can I do (x) with my magic?"
>"Is (x) a spell in the books?"
>"Yes."
>"No."

Your DM is uninspired, but it could be a lot worse.
>>
>>53948092
>Barbarian
Yes this is clearly the best name for a Fighter
>>53948034
I don't plan on doing anything super blatant like the few that everyone knows, or the silly over-the-top combiner names like Menasor, Devastator, Superion, or Predaking.
Fuck though, was there every any average height translation between Matorans and humans?
They might actually be just the right size
>>
Running a horror one-shot based on repeatedly going down the same hallway.
Any horror ideas?
>>
>>53948157
Going down the same hallway.
>>
Would you allow a Beastmaster to have a giant spider as their companion? Also, would you allow them to ride it as a mount?
I really want to make a mounted heavy crossbow Beastmaster.
>>
>>53948157
>>53948169
Going down the same hallway.
>>
>>53948157
nice SCP ripoff
>>
>>53948217
If it fulfills most of the other suggested features I would have no problem with it. It's always struck me as odd that the suggested beast companion options do not include horses, which otherwise meet all conditions.
>>
>>53948157
where in the hallway do i start?
>>
>>53948224
>>53948157
>>53948169
>Going down the same hallway.
>>
>>53948242
>repeatedly going down the same hallway.
Clearly you start up
>>
>>53947083
I feel like Artificer will never really be fantastic. Yeah, you get a cool gun, but you never get an extra attack, it requires a bonus action reload, the magic items are lackluster, the servant eventually becomes too weak to use for anything major in combat, and the alchemical solutions are generic and boring, and really just lackluster versions of magic. Also the spells are interesting but I think it wouldn't hurt to be without them.
I bet if they dropped the entire magical aspect, they could've made a far better class. It just seems all over the place, and like it isn't really great at anything.
>>
>>53948238
*all conditions except size.
>>
>>53948252
No you start down, you just continue going down.
>>
>>53948252
then i go in the opposite direction of the intended path. what do i find?
>>
>>53948157
Despair at Konami firing Kojima.
>>
>>53948279
You eventually run into your party going the opposite direction.
>>
>>53948279
A figure in the distance that seems to mimic your movements.
>>
>>53948286
>yfw there's no hole in wall maria
>>
File: attack of opportunity.png (194KB, 524x297px) Image search: [Google]
attack of opportunity.png
194KB, 524x297px
>>53948169
>>53948224
>>53948228
>>53948242
>>53948248
Thanks, guys.
I'll put a roper in there.
>>53948285
>>
>>53948286
i ask questions only my real party would know.
>>53948287
i move erratically, and note if it is unable to move consistently with me.
>>
>>53948310
It moves just as erratic as you without falter.
>>
me and my friends are going to start playing D&D 5e, i've played other roleplaying games before but never d&d from what I can tell adventurers league is just an organized system of play. is this correct? if im not looking to write my own story should i just use the season 5 level 1-2 adventure in the mega link or is this not a good place to start?
>>
>>53948353
I don't know what Adventurer's League is but from what I've heard it sounds limited and really anti-fun. Just run a module like Lost Mines or something, and allow people to make what they want within reason.
>>
>>53948350
i approatch cautiously, turning my head ever so often to make sure im not snuck up on. do i see a mirror or similar reflective surface?
>>
>>53948405
>>53948353

It's official organize play. No UA allow and you can only 1 other source book other than PHB.
>>
>>53948408
The gap between you and the figure remains the same as its steps matches yours. I think I'm going to have to actually make use of this idea and come up with a simple solution for my campaign, like some twisted funhouse with magic or technology that fucks with people before ending them. In this case it was a doppleganger waiting for you tire out but I can probably do better than that.
>>
>>53948591
neato, i think your players will have fun.
>>
File: Raza_Kattuah.jpg (194KB, 767x832px) Image search: [Google]
Raza_Kattuah.jpg
194KB, 767x832px
How do I properly build a Hexblade warlock built around the Cursebringer invocation?
I don't want to get slaughtered in the first round.
>>
My campaign is going to take place in a world where one continent, about ten years prior, disappeared entirely. The campaign is set just after the continent reappearing suddenly, and it's essentially a reclamation/resettlement mission.

The issue I'm having is this: Hundreds of years passed for the continent while it was disappeared. Player characters could have had family on the continent when it disappeared. I'm worried I might not be able to connect the campaign itself to their backstories well enough to make it compelling.

So for some characters, all their relatives would be basically guaranteed dead, and for others, all their backstory stuff would be left on another continent.

Ideas?
>>
>>53948739
Have them meet their great-great-great grand niece.
>>
>>53948739
If the players had family there they can start there then and have gone elsewhere for help or something.
Like 'oh shit the mainland is back better go ask them for help'
>>
>>53948664
You take your first level in Fighter for extra HP, Heavy Armor proficiency, CON proficiency, and Fighting Style.
>>
>>53948739
When the continent reappears, letters and other things that were intended to be 'sent out' got delayed by whatever magic.
Party members receive 100-year-old letters from their loved ones.
>>
File: glasstaff chase.png (148KB, 2516x860px) Image search: [Google]
glasstaff chase.png
148KB, 2516x860px
Earlier I mentioned working on a Glasstaff chase sequence for Lost Mine of Phandelver.

Someone asked how my progress was going. The answer is "I have no idea what I'm doing."
>>
>>53948840
Well, it's something at least.
>>
>>53948904
If you've run chase sequences before, I'd kill for some substantial advice or reference material.
I guess I could just give it up and go back to the original plan (DMG p. 252 chase sequences on a grid map), but it sounds so boring I might as well reduce the 'Iarno escape' sequence to a couple sentences if the player don't get the surprise on him.
>>
>>53949083
I wish, but I've no idea on how to do it well either. I was thinking of having my target escape, the players follow, then get to the chase map. Checks and shortcuts with even higher checks along with some minor enemies was my idea but I'll actually map it out when I get closer to that point.
>>
QUESTION
I am about to be starting a campaign of Curse of Strahd and I am using a premade Cleric character found online. It states that the character is of the Arcana Domain which provides: You gain two wizard cantrips, which count as cleric cantrips for you. At 1st level, you also gain access to he 1st level spells of Detect Magic and Magic Missile, which are always prepared and treated as cleric spells for you too.

I have looked through two 5E PDFs and found no mention of the Arcana Domain being an options, but when I Google search Arcana Domain, I do find multiple entries online describing exactly what is on the character sheet and it supposedly being a part of 5E. Where is this information coming from? What is the official source?
>>
>>53949228
SCAG
>>
How is tranquility monk?
>>
>>53949251
He's doing fine, thanks for asking.
>>
>>53949251
Tranquil.
>>
>>53949243
I am new to this. What is the difference and why is there?
Are these different publishers with slightly different versions of the game?
>>
>>53949228
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Cleric,Arcana
>>
>>53949352
No you dolt, it's an official supplement.

kys.
>>
>>53949352
It's a supplement, got some lore about the Sword Coast region and some new options to use on top of the PHB. It doesn't replace anything.
Other stuff like it are Volo's Guide to Monsters and Elemental Evil Player's Companion.
>>
>>53949352
Think of it like DLC mixed with Lore

>>53949408
Hey man don't be a cunt, he said he was new.
>>
So I'm going to have my first session as a DM tomorrow

I've been a player for 3 years now, so I know the rules and all that, but aside from that...

Any tips?
>>
>>53949432
>>53949439
Thanks for the information. Kinda odd; makes the PHB feel incomplete. I'll make sure my DM is okay with me using the SCAG.
>>
File: Cv3y5iEWcAAadsB.png (113KB, 385x306px) Image search: [Google]
Cv3y5iEWcAAadsB.png
113KB, 385x306px
>>53949452
Alway rember, its about having fun.
>>
>>53949469
Are you THIS new to TTRPGs?

Books with new mechanics coming out years after the core is the NORM.
>>
Is multiclassing fighter and warlock a better version of Eldritch knight? Some of the UA pact of the blade invocations seem really good.
>>
>>53949469
I mean, most other games also have supplements.

The PHB is complete, you don't need anything else to play. It gives you all the rules of the game, and plenty of character options.

Supplements are just that, there to supplement the core content.
>>
>>53949499
Kind of.

Especially because you can take one level of fighter, five of warlock, and then the rest in sorcerer, and be able to take haste at level 7.
>>
>>53949480
>fun

F is for fire that burns down the whole town!
U is for uranium, bombs!
N is for no survivors!
>>
>>53949452
When you're about to say "no" to something, consider if you can say "yes, but..." instead.

>>53949499
It's different. EK is for Shield+Absord Elements meme.
>>
>>53949543
PLANKTON! THAT'S NOT WHAT FUN IS ABOUT!
>>
What would be some creepy minions for a mountain/cave witch to have?
>>
>>53949580
aggressive and carnivorous gingerbread mean, each about 3-4 feet in height. upon closer inspection, gingerbread men appear to be wearing tattered children's clothes.
>>
>>53948089
>>I roll to seduce the great old one
>Implying you have a choice once the tentacles come out.
>>I roll to seduce the undying
>Get the lich-loved feat

More seriously, warlock patrons should imbue/teach the kind of magic that the patron uses. Spellcasting stat determined by patron, since patron is a level 1 choice.
>>
>>53949580
I wouldn't call it a minion, but I would imagine she'd cultivate some ropers. Bonus points if the roper is on the opposite side of a chasm from the players
>>
>>53949452
Your players are craftier than you. Maybe not individually, but as a group. Note as well that I'm saying "craftier", not "smarter". The point is that the dumb shits won't be able to pick up on a plot hook unless you slap them in the face with it three times - but they will nevertheless always be able to think up a solution to any problem they come across, even one you didn't think up. Especially one you didn't think up.

Additionally, remember that Challenge Rating is the level at which it is expected that the players will be able to DEFEAT a challenge...not encounter it. There is nothing wrong with having the players encounter monsters or NPCs that are well above their ability, as long as you do not actually expect them to fight it to overcome it. For example, the players might, while exploring the caves just discovered beneath an inn whilst level 4, encounter a sleeping elder red wyrm. If they close the door and walk away, the wyrm doesn't notice them. If they wake it up, the wyrm might have better things to do than eat them, and might actually be a source of quests, lore, or even simple panicked comedy: "This isn't real! We're just a dream! Go back to sleep!"

If the player characters charge at the dragon and try and fight it...kill 'em. It's their own dumbass fault.

Never stick tightly to prescribed alignments for monsters except in the case of Outer Planar beings like demons and angels. Otherwise you should totally have the players encounter good orcs with the same frequency they might encounter evil elves or dwarves. This fleshes out the world more. Also try and remember that not everything boils down to "good" and "evil". Neutrality is a thing.
>>
>>53949580
Actual minions

From the film.
>>
>>53949627
They aren't undead or constructs or anything like that, but captured children who have been dominated into fighting for her. Just kidding. It was a ruse by the witch -- after the players "free" the kids, they get ganked when they least suspect it
>>
>>53947345
Warlocks get power from the pact they have made, not their patron themselves.
>>
File: 1490872055942.jpg (462KB, 700x979px) Image search: [Google]
1490872055942.jpg
462KB, 700x979px
How slow should a long-lived race grow up? Should it be 10 years a baby, or should they speed up until they are like 12 years old and then slow their growth?
>>
>>53949699
Warlocks are magic lawyers?
>>
>Starting up a new game on roll20
>Vet 6 players, all seem to be normal people
>session 0
>Inform everyone that v. humans are banned because I give every race a free feat (though some feats like SS, PAM, GWM, etc. are banned until lvl 4 to discourage power gaming/minmax autism) at lvl 1
>one dude practically screeches on his mic, goes off on a tangent about my house rule as unfair to v. human players
>inform him that this ruling allows him to play a v. human with more +1s and that other races aren't shafted in favor of optimization
>dude argues that v. humans should get to choose two feats
>quickly realize i'm dealing with a power gaming autist who just wants his character to be better than everyone else

Down to 5 players, but our first session went so perfectly that I couldn't be happier with the group I have now. I'm glad I was able to get That Guy to out himself before he could do any damage to the campaign.
>>
>>53949676
>The point is that the dumb shits won't be able to pick up on a plot hook unless you slap them in the face with it three times
>If the player characters charge at the dragon and try and fight it...kill 'em. It's their own dumbass fault.
My players did this. They ran across an ancient dragon and there was practically a giant neon sign saying PLOT HOOK. What do they do? Try to steal treasure. In front of the dragon.
>>
>>53949710
Hang on, I have something for this.

>It takes 25 years for an elf to become the equivalent of a 15-year-old human, or in other words they age only about 60% as fast to that point.

>From 25 to 110 is the elf equivalent of a human aging from 15 to 30, or about 17.65% the speed of humans. So a 75-year-old elf is the equivalent of a human around 24 years old.

>From 110 to 400 is then the equivalent of a human aging from 30 to 70, or 13.79% of the speed. So a 387-year-old elf is the equivalent of a human who's a little over 68 years old.

>From age 400 on, each year is only about 10% that of a human. So a 410-year-old elf is like a 71-year-old human; a 500 year old elf is like a 75-year-old human. This continues until the elf dies of old age, usually some time around 500 or so.
>>
>>53949530
>Especially because you can take one level of fighter, five of warlock, and then the rest in sorcerer, and be able to take haste at level 7.
Sorcerer would be able to take haste at level 5. It's a 3rd level spell.
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
What are some interesting motivations/goals for a Vampire beyond muh harem?
>>
>>53947083
That pic makes me want to eat Misty's butthole while she verbally abuses me.
>>
>>53949712
Sort of.

The point is that warlocks aren't like clerics, druids, or rangers; they don't get power from an outside source like gods, nor faith in an outside source. They get power from the Pact, which specifically anchors itself to their very soul and being.

Thus, Charisma: the sense of self.
>>
>>53949710
Pretty sure it says that in the Phb elves aren't considered mature until 120 years old.

>>53949760
So what you're saying is elf lolis exist for about 25 years then jailbait for another 10?
Why aren't half elves the standard fucking race?
>>
>>53949786
Depends on the vampire's age, I suppose. Dracula's in the original story seemed to be "take over the world or die trying".
>>
>>53949499
Battle Master 7 or 11 and rest in Warlock is better than pure EK at combat, yes.
>>
File: carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>53949712
They're the Devil's Advocate.
>>
>>53949699
I suppose that explains how theoretically a warlock can be more powerful than even their own patron. One example of an Archfey patron given by the PHB is an ancient hag. A hag can be as weak as a CR 2 Sea Hag. Volo's states that hag grandmothers can be as powerful as the Archfey, but don't even have an increased CR, just a bunch of neat Lair Actions.
>>
Doing a level 10 one shot to rescue another PC's character (and probably Dead in Thay, and Against the Giants after) with:
Archfey Warlock
Open Hand Monk
Vengeance Pally
War Cleric

What should I play, /5eg/?
>>
How about a low level ritual for booklocks that lets them have one weak undead servant? Good idea or not so much?
>>
>>53947083
>>53949795

Nah, those two are definitely fucking.

She might let you watch though.
>>
>>53949870

The character we're rescuing is a Wizard. When we start Dead in Thay and Against the Giants after this one shot, the Wizard will be playing, and the Paladin will be DM'ing.
>>
>>53949480
>>53949554
>>53949676
thanks

I'll go for a pretty default abduction-to-the-nearby-dungeon story to have an easy first session. I guess, there will be already enough to go down differently than I expect
>>
>>53949786

To becoming the greatest lycanthrope hunter.
As they are immune to it's curse.

To continue an endless war against another Nation
>>
File: Vayne_0.jpg (328KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Vayne_0.jpg
328KB, 1215x717px
>>53949870
Variant Human Monster Hunter with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>53949786
The vampire wishes to look into his vampiric bloodline, finding remains of sire, his sire's sire...
The creature at the end is a bomb.
>>
>>53949870
Wizard fits the group best. You probably want to play some kind of utility caster atleast, Bard / Druid / Sorcerer / Wizard.
>>
>>53949822
Well, at the risk of going magical realm on you, I personally rule that elves aren't actually capable of impregnating or becoming pregnant until around age 40, even though by that point they look like a 17 year old human. Elves don't just age slower, they age *differently*.

Also they have the Infertile racial trait, which grants them disadvantage on pregnancy checks.

Yes, it's me, the 5e Sex Guide guy, I'm still here.

To go into further detail, most elves in elven societies don't leave home until they're already 110, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they're just sitting at home playing ElfBoX or something. No, at around age 40-60 is when elves get married and have a child (twins are exceedingly rare, only about 1% of elf births, compared to human's 15%), whom they then raise until its time for that child to get married themselves. During this time their job in elf society is "raise your child", with no other expectations like work.

Age 110 is "adulthood" in elf society, but "adulthood" in this case means "I've gone through basic schooling, I've raised a kid, and now it's time for me to get a job and earn my keep." It's at this point that some elves, confronted with the possibility of having to actually work for a living as a baker or blacksmith or whatever, turn to a life of adventuring instead.

Elves remain fertile until around age 250-300 and so could theoretically have more children, but if they do they're expected to raise them on their own out of their own pockets, rather than their family's support. And there's a bit of a cultural weirdness attached to it. Not taboo or anything, it's just...weird.
>>
File: b477248dbbb21dedca670210dd5c73ba.png (548KB, 1047x456px) Image search: [Google]
b477248dbbb21dedca670210dd5c73ba.png
548KB, 1047x456px
>looking for white dragons
>druid wind walks us all so we can scale a mountain real fast
>player has armor that lets him detect dragons in a certain range
>get towards the peak and give him a minute to shift out so he can activate it
>instantly sees upwards of 12 of them nearby
>he panics and begins trying to switch back
>is instantly swooped and grabbed by an adult white dragon and taken away
>all the party and I can do is goober about as mist

so how did you guys fuck up recently, /5eg/?
>>
How would you RP a paladin of Helm? Paranoid? Cop style?
>>
>>53949992
Cop. Definitely cop.
>>
>>53949822
I believe it also says they reach physical maturity at the same time as humans
>>
>>53949929
You nearly got me you devil, I narrovly escaped your trap only because I've been through nearly every clan.
>>
>>53949971
>It's at this point that some elves, confronted with the possibility of having to actually work for a living as a baker or blacksmith or whatever, turn to a life of adventuring instead.

Incidentally, these elves are considered complete assholes by the rest of elf society, since it expressly means that they're abandoning their kid just as their kid as gotten married and is expecting a child. It was their job as a parent to get a job and support their kid while their kid was raising their grandchild, but instead they've just skipped out on their duties.

Among humans "adventurer" has a lot of different connotations, but most of them are positive or at least neutral. Among elves, "adventurer" is basically synonymous with "parent who skipped town rather than raise their kid, forcing their kid to grow up and get a job and face the real world way too early."

No elf would call themselves an adventurer as a result.
>>
File: Judge_Dredd.jpg (63KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
Judge_Dredd.jpg
63KB, 680x478px
>>53949992
This is how I paladin.
>>
>>53949499
Specifically I'm planning on taking the grasp of Hadar and Claw of Acamar invocations. Would flail master apply to Claw of Acamar?
How you roleplay someone who believes they are the champion of an Old One?
>>
>Tfw can have 20 AC at level 1 as a Warforged Fighter
Jesus christ
>>
>>53950129
>>53950035
I'll do you proud.
>>
>>53950059
Yeah, most races in 5E mature at the same rate as humans but have different concepts of adulthood. An elf will mature at about 15 and be considered an adult by 100. Whatever the fuck they mean by adulthood is beyond me since I never play in the forgotten realms.
>>
>>53949699
Kind of like how Super Kami Guru could unlock Gohan's potential, but was a fat fuck who did nothing else but sit around
>>
>>53947345
I just let players use whatever primary stat they want. Think you can cast spells with your strength? Go for it. Think you can lift rocks because you're so smart ? Sounds good to me. Think your dexterity means your god of speed will respect you more, sounds good to me.

I've found is led to much more fun and easy going games.
>>
>>53950164
I still stick with what 3.5's Races of the Wild had, which was that elves reach physical maturity at age 25 rather than 15. I like them being different from humans.

>>53950128 >>53949971
Final thought of the day: this is also why surface elves hate drow so much. Ellaine Cunningham's "Starless Night" established that drow females in noble Houses to go Arach-Tinilith at either age 25 or when they first menstruate, whichever comes first. They then spend 40 years learning the Litany of Lolth and becoming clerics, establishing a general maximum age of 65 at graduation. Drizzt Do'Urden in "Homeland" likewise grows to age 10 before being presented to Matron Malice for either preliminary Fighter or Wizard training, and when Fighter training is determined spends 10 years (age 20, so a little less than physically mature) under Zaknafein's tutelage before being sent to Melee-Magthere for 10 years, and so graduating at age 30.

From a surface elf perspective, these people are child soldiers.
>>
File: 1479233264150.png (591KB, 547x750px) Image search: [Google]
1479233264150.png
591KB, 547x750px
Playing a fighter with city watch background and i relaized noone one my gamegroup knows Discworld, should I see if I can pull it off?
>>
>>53948783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7HoGZaspo
>>
Roll20 top-down castle ravenloft maps when?
>>
>>53950340
Is this evem a question?
Of course you should.
>>
>>53950324
>I still stick with what 3.5's Races of the Wild had, which was that elves reach physical maturity at age 25 rather than 15.
>I like them being different from humans.
But anon, humans aren't really physically mature at 15 either. Surely you've seen not-a-teenager try to play a teenager role.
>>
Why is so hard to find a group on Roll20.net, I am new to the game (at least this edition) and I cannot find anyone. Does anyone have any tips to find a group? Also there seems to be no local games here in Sweden as they play their own variant and I dont feel like speaking Swedish.
>>53950340
Recently bought a load of unseen university editions, they are really nice.
>>
>>53950340
sure. in my dad's words "plagairism is just good journalism"
>>
>>53950374
Never ever.
:(
Probably within a couple weeks depending on how nice somebody is.
>>
With the starting gear a Fighter can have, if I'm going with great weapons, should I take a greatsword and glaive, or glaive, a longsword, and then use Background gold to grab a shield?
>>
>>53950324
Speaking of Drow.
In SCAG and PHB it talks about (briefly) Drow that are """" good"""" and have abandoned the under-dark.
In my settings i always pictured them as a sort of rebellion of drow trying to get out and rejoin their ancient kin on the surface.
I figured since they have /VERY/ rare trading with surface goers they must come to realize that "oh geez we can be part of a society that doesn't try to sacrifice us to a spider goddess? Hell yeah!"
>>
Be me.
Be Dwarf with Stonecunning.
Be Rogue with Expertise.
Be also Knowledge Cleric.

Have +48 to history checks dealing with stone.

What can I do with this?
>>
>>53950420
>unseen university editions
They the ones with the stylized covers?
>>
what are the strength requirements and movement penalties for heavy armor?
>>
>>53950470
Yes, A friends bookshop is changing locale so he gave me like 25 of them. I also got the Folio society version of Mort. Very nice.
>>
>>53950390
>humans aren't really physically mature at 15 either.

Humans also usually can't have a dragon as a grandfather but still be considered human. I accepted long ago that D&D is not a Real Life Simulator.

More specifically D&D is kind of trying to ape Conan more than anything else, and Conan was like 15 when he took part as a full-fledged warrior in the Sack of Venarium. "Physically mature" in the D&D sense seems to mean "capable of having class levels."
>>
File: 1497787826985.png (838KB, 900x736px) Image search: [Google]
1497787826985.png
838KB, 900x736px
>>53950464
Aquire bards
Start band with rocks in it.
>>
File: flyer_1_back.jpg (332KB, 750x1023px) Image search: [Google]
flyer_1_back.jpg
332KB, 750x1023px
>>53947083
About to join a 5e game for the first time, and I'm having a hard time coming up with a gimmick. My last character was an alcoholic charlatan "Wizard", where all of his magic tricks were actually really crappy parlor tricks and slight of hand. As much as I've grown attached to this character, now that I'm playing with a new group of people in a new game, I want to come up with something different, but I'm finding it quite difficult. I was thinking maybe making a joke about how my new character used to be a jouster, and eventually it's revealed that they meant Ostrich Jousting, a la the Williams Arcade Game, but I don't know if that's too corny or stupid to build a whole character around. I'm not even sure if something like that would be allowed to exist in a 5e game...

Any advice /tg/?
>>
>>53950464
You can bore the other party members with the evolutionary history behind the small intricacies of Northern Rock Gnome stonework vs. Eastern Rock Gnome stonework.
>>
>>53950464
I don't know that all those bonuses stack.
>>
>>53950464
>you know every structural weakness of any stonework ever made
>can destroy anything made of stone with a well places kick
>>
>>53950464
Work in Real Estate, appraising old castles and strongholds.
Run a History Channel program or something.
>>
>>53950534
>Every place you visit is made from wood
>>
>>53950464
Nothing, you can only multiply your proficiency bonus once and only add it once to a given roll.
>>
>>53950546
>the forgotten realms road show, with your host McUrist
>>
>>53950228
>everyone casts from Constitution
But in seriousness, that does seem like fun. Even Constitution casting would be thematic for a sorcerer. I've always wanted to play a wise wizard or a bookish warlock or an empathetic paladin or a bullshitting cleric.
>>
>>53950440
In my setting, the Matriarchy of Lolth has started falling apart in an underground revolution that kind of calls to mind the French Revolution mixed with whatever a North Korean civil war would look like. Several drow Houses have actually fled the Underdark entirely, with the most notable trio of them going to the main elf kingdom of Jaandyr and requesting sanctuary and talking about re-integrating themselves into surface elf culture and giving up their evil ways and so on.

No one trusts them at all, of course, but they can't just be killed when they've surrendered, can't be proven to have personally done anything to the Jaandyri, and at least talk a good game, which is hugely inconvenient for the Jaadyri.

Meanwhile in the Underdark, the Drow French Revolution continues. Of course, this will lead to the Drow French Revolutionary Wars...and the rise of Drow Napoleon.
>>
>>53950464
>Start a Stone-Masons guild
>Be grandmaster
>rent out deep underground rock quarry to thevies guilds and assassins
>>
>>53950562
This sounds like fun.
>>
>>53950478
Str. -/13/15/15, 10 foot penalty for insufficient str..
>>
>>53950562
Nice, that is pretty much what I would want to happen in my campaigns, might have to use some of that.
Does your setting have a reason/catalyst for the revolution?
>>
>>53950340
There is no reason not to make the attempt.
>>
>>53949452
Your usual DM probably does some of this stuff, but a reminder won't hurt. (Also, if total newbies are reading this, this may also help.)

Part 1:
-You're new. You're allowed to mess up. You're also allowed to veto things you can't handle, like any suggestion of homebrew content, players going off the rails, things that would bypass a dungeon, whatever ("hey guys, please don't kill the barman, half the plot relies on him, I think it'd be cool if you all played through that"). If your players are good people they won't mind.
-If you can't remember a rule, make it up, then write it down. After the session, look in the DMG for the real rule; if there is none, consider keeping yours.
-As soon as the session ends, make a list of what the players just did ("reached the town", "got kicked out of the inn", "slept at the farmer's", "heard about the zombies", "insulted the townmaster", "defeated the bandits", "learned about the barman's secret identity"). As many entries as possible, but be concise. It's a great reference document.
-Recap every session, and do it yourself. If you've kept a list like above, you can use the more important points to sum up what your players have been doing since the beginning and why. Then quickly paint the current situation and present your group with options.
-You probably know HOW to adjudicate (what to roll, according to the books), but also when to. As a general rule, you roll for an action when the outcome 1. is uncertain, and 2. has a potential cost. If the action cannot succeed/fail, or if you can keep trying forever ("take 20") until you succeed, a roll isn't necessary.
>>
>>53950637
>>53950386
>>53950422
Welp I'll give it a go, though gonna focus on his personality rather than try to ape him mechanically, those rarely (read; never) end well.
>>
>>53949452
>>53950698
Part 2, from personal experience:
-If you can't do NPC voices, it's okay. Just describe them. "The blacksmith welcomes you with a deep, vaguely sad voice." And don't be afraid to go full beige prose
-Read the whole adventure if you haven't. Seriously. Do it as soon as you can before the next session kicks around.
-Know what matters for narration and rolling. In my first session (I ran LMOP) the players sided with Yeemik + his rebels against Klarg + his loyalists and I made the mistake of including them all into the initiative order. It was a mess. If I had to redo it, Yeemik and his guys would fight against the loyalists (and the outcome of the battle will be "whatever the DM thinks makes sense/is good for the story, solve it with a single roll at most) while the PCs get to battle Klarg and his wolf.
-5e isn't really built for theater of the mind. Draw a map and use minis if you can, although you don't need a grid. Otherwise, be sure to mention distances and positions frequently. Also, differentiate your enemies. The tallest goblin, the smallest goblin, the fat goblin, the twitchy goblin, the scar-covered goblin...
-Initiative should not take more than a minute. Take a blank sheet of paper, write 30 at the top and 0 at the bottom, use your gut to place the combatants. You can keep track of HP and conditions that way too.
-For each race featuring in your adventure, keep a small list of unused NPC names handy. 2 male names, 2 female names usually does it.
-You will think your first session sucks, but if it does, your players will probably still enjoy it and be eager for more. So don't worry too much.
>>
>>53950620
>Does your setting have a reason/catalyst for the revolution?

Centuries of simmering hate culminating in the commoners finally being pushed too far and rising up, enforcing Fex Urbis Lex Orbis ("dregs of the city, turn of the world" - the most powerful group in society is its lowest class by virtue of its weight of numbers)

Tying it into some existing stuff...the biggest drow city in my setting is Tlauk'kur, in which the House Ii'ilmerias was the most powerful. Yet it sat at the Third position rather than Second or First. This was deliberate on the part of its Matron, since it allowed lower-ranked Houses to target the Second or First Houses rather than Ii'ilmerias.

However, the daughter of the Matron, by way of Ectanis, was a fucking moron and yet still blessed by Lolth with powerful clerical abilities. She didn't understand her mother's strategy and so instead engineered Ii'ilmerias' attempt to wipe out the Second and First Houses, while simultneously trying to kill her mother.

Her Mother escaped and disappeared and the Second and First Houses were beaten back but *not* wiped out, as despite how powerful Ii'ilmerias was, it wasn't strong enough to wipe out two powerful Houses simultaneously in one night. The Second and First Houses called on their allies to wipe out Ii'ilmerias, but Ectanis managed to get a fair number of noble Houses on her own side as well, and Tlauk'kur fell into civil war.

The war lasted for a few years, draining the coffers of all involved and even drawing in other Houses in other cities. Ii'ilmerias was eventually defeated, but at great cost. When the nobles turned to immense taxation of the commoners and trying to raid the surface for more slaves, the commoners had finally just had too damn much and rose up in rebellion, supported by the wizarding school, who tried to take control of the nascent revolution and direct it towards their own ends but were exposed themselves and largely wiped out.
>>
Two handed weapon or sword and board as a stone sorcerer?
Dex or strength if I go sword and board?
>>
>>53949452
If a player asks
>"Can I do X?"
Your first instinct should be to reply "Certainly" and not "No that's dumb" or "No I don't want you to go that way" or "No that's not how this adventure goes" or "No I haven't planned for the consequences"
Even if what the player is trying to do is impossible, let him try.

Just do it. Calm down, close your eyes, think what might happen and go with it. Don't panic, that's the most important thing. Panic blocks your imagination.

Another thing to note, when a player says
>"I want to do X"
and you're not 100% clear by what he means or how he wants to do it, ask them to elaborate.
Have you ever seen those Mass Effect conversation wheels where you press something and your character says something else entirely? That sucks, try to avoid it in your games. If you're not sure, ask.

Also: narration is not about using fancy words or being atmospheric. Narration is first and foremost about conveying information accurately to your players, in a way they can clearly understand it. Be simple.
>>
>>53950838
> by way of Ectanis

Sorry, "named Ectanis". Anyway, continued:

The revolution then spread to other drow cities from Tlauk'kur thanks to trade networks. It's actually being led by bards, of all things, thanks to fiery rhetorical abilities. Other powerful drow adventurers are also taking up arms within the Revolution, as well as self-taught wizards, warlocks with their pacts, clerics of deities other than Lolth, powerful fighters and rangers, and so on. There isn't really much of a central command or unified goal yet beyond "Vive la Revolution!", but it's getting there and likely to rally around a Directorate sooner or later. Other major Underdark races like the duergar were considering pouncing at first until their commoners started grumbling a well, which has led to them instead closing their cities and trying to think up a way to deal with their own problems before things get out of hand.

Oh, and in all of this there's also slaves of the drow fighting for freedom. Some drow factions grant it, others don't, a few kill their slaves, a few send them to the surface, who knows what.

Drow nobles are being slaughtered unless they can escape to other enclaves or to the surface, trying to carve out new homes for themselves. There are also a few drow refugees, commoners who don't want to be caught up in the bloodshed but have nowhere left in the Underdark and so also come to the surface.

Most surfacers have no idea what's going on other than an unusually large number of drow coming out of holes in the ground - claiming abandoned (or not so abandoned) fortresses, raiding caravans for supplies rather than slaves, or even families of drow coming to their city gates begging for food and shelter.
>>
>>53950698
>Recap every session, and do it yourself.
This is the only one I disagree with, even though I think most DM's do it. Personally I'd have your players recap the session, with you filling in the gaps. Several reasons:

1) Your players will always remember shit you forgot or thought was unimportant.
2) It engages your players from the start instead of letting them reach for their phones or other distractions.
3) It reinforces the collective storytelling motif, and not the "this is my world you just inhabit it" dichotomy.
but most importantly:
4) It shows you your world from the perspective of your players, which is invaluable. They will explicitly tell you things they loved, and fail to mention shit they didn't think was important. Pay attention to how and what they describe in the world.
>>
>>53950949
Str if you want heavy armour and wide array of weapons
Dex if you can make so with a smaller selection of weapons but more relevant saves
>>
>>53950996
>1) Your players will always remember shit you forgot or thought was unimportant.
>4) It shows you your world from the perspective of your players, which is invaluable. They will explicitly tell you things they loved, and fail to mention shit they didn't think was important. Pay attention to how and what they describe in the world.

(Not that guy.)
Good god, i have been so blind.
I never thought of it that way.

More ideas, please!
>>
File: 1348252151145.jpg (82KB, 593x800px) Image search: [Google]
1348252151145.jpg
82KB, 593x800px
Going to be DMing 5th for the first time soon and trying to figure out what a low-level group can handle in a day of game time before needing a long rest. I don't want to design dungeons that they have to flee from to recover during the low tier.
>>
>>53947083
Only now i have realized the awesomeness of the Ephatic Feat feat from the Skill Feats UA.

>Play a monk or rogue.
>Play wood elf for uneven pointbuy (starting with a 17 in Dex and a 16 in Wis).
>Grab proficiency in Insight at lvl 1.
>Spend first ASI on +1 Dex +1 Wis.
>Nab second ASI for Ephatic.
>Enjoy each attack having advantage forever unless you fight a Dragon or something else with sky high Cha and Deception skill.
>>
>>53950968
>>53950976

Fantastic.
I have always wanted a reason to get Drow out in the open and this is it
Would you be mad at all if I used this in my next campaign because I can see some good uses in this
>>
I'm thinking of doing a one-shot for endgame (~level 20) characters. Is there anything I should bear in mind? My worry is that the sheer range and power of spells will mean that a particularly assy player will do something out of the box that invalidates everything I've written.

>>53951093
Depends on the level, but if you find your party getting massively overwhelmed to the point where you feel it's unfair, you could always have them stumble upon some health potions or a place to wait it out. Also consider looking into their builds and how many spells, maneuvers etc they can have between long rests and do the maths.
>>
>>53951098
>Needs to be humanoid
>Costs an action to do
>Lasts until the end of your next turn
>>
>>53951143
Legendary resistance and anti-magic fields
>>
>>53951143
At level 20 but with no time to grow in to the character, your players are going to spend half the session just looking up rules
>>
>>53951156
Fuck me and trusting OrcPub and their abridged formats for feats.

Thanks for pointing it out for me.
>>
>>53951166
That was another concern, along with the time it might take them to make said characters. For various reasons we usually end up having to make new characters between levels 5 and 8 over and over again, so I thought it could be a nice way to treat them. What level would you recommend?

(the idea I had in mind was for the team to consist of some of the most powerful people on the planet meeting together in a room for the first time, before some cosmic threat tries to wipe them out at once)
>>
>>53947083
Half caster. Targeted vials rather than save or suck, that shit is cancer.(may need a number tweek) Pet scaling via proficiency ala revised Beast master and finally some ribbon that let's them create magic items easier.
>>
File: shadow-weaver-FIN.jpg (76KB, 1200x741px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-weaver-FIN.jpg
76KB, 1200x741px
>>53951143
Alright, thanks. I ran a lot of 3.5 and 4th and was used to pushing the difficulty because my players are pretty competent, but I'm wary going into the new edition. Will probably toss them a few super easy encounters to test the waters.
>>
Probably a bad place to ask for, but does anybody here host for roll20? I'd like to play a bit, only had 4-6 sessions but I got the hang of it.
>>
>Warlock pact of the blade w/ archfey patron taking Moon Bow and Aspect of the Moon
Should I multiclass into Sharpshooter or Arcane Archer for the best outcome? I'm leaning towards arcane archer to continue with the elf vibe but that would require a commitment to Int.
>>
>>53951255
Not the one you replied to.
The DMG divides the levels by "Tiers of Play" (pg. 36-38)
11-16 is Masters of the Realm
17-20 is Masters of the World
So, strictly talking, 17th, but classes won't have their 18th level features, so maybe 18th, if you don't want to downsize a little and start at 15th.
>>
Is it possible for a Fighter to kill a Barbarian 1v1 without kiting and using a ranged weapon? I know the game isn't balanced around PvP, but I'm curious. It seems the Barbarian's design allows them to eat through all other martials in a straight melee fight.
>>
>>53951378
Moon bow doesn't exist anymore.
>>
How bad is poison damage? Is immunity to it something that might just come up every once in a while? Or is it more like its going to be useless in the majority of fights that don't involve humanoids because so many things are immune to it?
>>
>>53951448
It's in the hexblade UA. When did they change it?
>>
File: initiative.pdf (95KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
initiative.pdf
95KB, 1x1px
>>53949452
>>53950733
>-Initiative should not take more than a minute. Take a blank sheet of paper, write 30 at the top and 0 at the bottom, use your gut to place the combatants. You can keep track of HP and conditions that way too.

I made theattached to make it easier. It only goes from 1 to 24, but that's usually enough. I have my players roll for me including enemies while I write down the combatants.

I take a bit of extra time to copy the order to a whiteboard we use, but that's just our personal preference. Keeps me from losing track and the players tend to plan their move when they can see it coming up.
>>
>>53951378
Moon Bow is gone, senpai.

RIP scariest fucking thing in the game.
>>
>>53951340
Yeah I know how it is. For my first few sessions my players had ridiculously strong characters, so they found everything too easy (their first real challenge was a shield guardian that I gave the ability to heal 10hp every turn instead of every round by accident, but decided against correcting). A lot of people will probably cringe at this but because I find challenge/xp ratings to be completely unreliable I tend to make alterations to monsters as I begin to get a feel for how strong the characters are.

>>53951399
Thanks, I haven't read the DMG in too much detail because I've only ever needed it a few times.
>>
>>53951478
Revised Subclass article from a few weeks ago.
>>
>>53951478
Last UA, curb stomped Bladelocks.
>>
>>53951143
FIGHT ON GIANT FLOATING QUICKROCK MOTES (WHICH ARE LIKE QUICKSAND BUT WITH JAGGED ROCKS) THROUGH A HURRICANE OF DRAGON FROST AND DEMON FIRE THAT GETS CONSTANTLY TORN APART BY ANCIENT ARMOURED ZOMBIE ROCS WITH BOULDER THROWING HILL GIANTS THROWN BY STORM GIANTS ON THEIR BACKS ALONG WITH LICHS WHO ARE SUMMONING VAMPIRES ONTO YOUR QUICKROCK MOTES WHO IN TURN SUMMON SWARMS OF VENOMOUS LAVA BATS WHO INJECT MAGMA INTO YOUR VEINS WHICH IS ALSO POISONOUS!
>>
Since UA material is unofficial anyways, why are people saying that UA "removed" moon bow or the other invocations? It's not like this stuff was ever AL-legal. Is there some imaginary UA policeman that keeps you from using it?

Or are you just griping that it might not make it into the next book?
>>
>New game
>Person that always takes the longest in combat is playing a Shepard druid
I hope his character dies before level 5
>>
What's like the official d&d wiki I can look shit up on myself without annoying you guys about it? There's a few but they are fanmade so idk which is best.
>>
>>53951565
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>>
>>53951542
people normally use the newest version of them
>>
>>53951506
>>53951504
these are just revisions right? Why would they get rid of Cursebringer and stuff like that?
>>53951542
Idk, I think most DM's like using the up to date ones.
>>
>>53951572
ty
>>
>>53951542
UA is treated a cut above homebrew because it's playest material, and as such the most recent version of it is utilized else it loses any measure of legitimacy it had.

But the DM can rule whatever he wants at his table, sure, it's why we have shit like dandwiki
>>
>>53951609
Read it bruv, says right at the start the old ones are gone. They saw people might do something other than EB spam and rectified it.
>>
>>53951548
If you're the DM give them 10 seconds to declare an action or skip their turn and assume they take the dodge action.
>>
File: IMG_1403.jpg (34KB, 320x264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1403.jpg
34KB, 320x264px
>>53950565
Not stone-masons, stonecutters
>>
I like magic. I want to use magic. Someone tell me the difference between a sorcerer, wizard, and warlock please.
>>
>>53951378
Despite some anons correctly pointing out that the revised UA seems to have pruned a lot of warlock invocations, I would use the material anyway, unless you or your DM are as RAW-minded as some anons can be.
>>
>>53951862
Warlock casts few spells per day
Sorcerers get tiny variation in the spells they cast
Wizards are best
>>
>>53951862
Sorcerers cast based on charisma. They only recharge spells on a long rest, but can modify those spells' effects with sorcery points. Their spell list is smaller than the Wizard's. Their spells are based on memorization.

Wizards use Intelligence, and have the largest spell list. They cast based on a prepared list of spells from a spell book. They can know more spells than they have prepared and can cast certain spells as rituals, which takes longer but doesn't consume a spell slot. They have bigger spell variety than warlocks and sorcerer, and they have the biggest variety in subclasses.

Warlocks use Charisma, and have almost no spell slots and automatically cast them at higher levels. They recharge every short rest instead of long rest. They're very modular thanks to eldritch invocations and pacts. Their spells are based on memorization, and they MAY be able to ritual cast.
>>
>>53951862
Sorcerers can change their spells in some ways, only class that can cast concentration spell on two targets (via Twinned Spell metamagic).
Warlocks have few spells, but have higher slots more often, may feel a little limited really quick.
Wizards are the most versatile of the three, best spell list, some great features depending on your school.
>>
>>53951862
Sorc: we Avatar now.
Wiz: always go full discworld.
Lock: I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKE ME.
>>
>>53951862
Wizard: Casts rituals, often the most utility-based. Widest range of spells, can switch between them.
They read books and/or went to wizard school to get their powers.
Sorcerer: Like wizard except less spells they can use and they can cast the same single-target spell twice at once for two different targets, and that's honestly just about it. Unlikely to have much utility.
Got their powers from a bloodline usually.
Warlock: Casts spells less often than the other two but does have a bit more utility than sorcerer. Also the most powerful cantrip. You're basically a ranged fighter who can cast spells and who is a slight bit squishier.
Gets their power from a higher being.
>>
File: suggestionbox.jpg (12KB, 350x296px) Image search: [Google]
suggestionbox.jpg
12KB, 350x296px
>>53951862
Warlock is a magic-flavored, ranged martial.
Pro: Cool fluff.
Con: Combat effectiveness is crippled without regular short rests (pic related).
The patron options are your subclass archetypes. The pact boon features are just extra customization. Pact of the Blade probably isn't going to work well without some house rules or homebrew solutions.
>>
>>53951862
Simplfied:
-Wizard: Studies their ass off to get an B+ Average.
-Sorceror: Skips classes, drops boring courses, still gets an A in the all the classes he feels like.
-Warlock: sucks off headmaster for an automatic pass.
>>
I wish there was a "create water" cantrip. I know create / destroy water is a 1st level spell but I don't think being able to create water as an action would be OP. I wonder if my DM would let me make it a custom cantrip...
>>
File: 1416108552135.gif (2MB, 475x277px) Image search: [Google]
1416108552135.gif
2MB, 475x277px
>>53951862
The best spell caster in 5E is a Lore Bard.

They learn more spells than a Sorcerer, they cast spells as many times as a Wizard, Sorcerer or any other full caster, their spell selection includes all of the most powerful spells in the game (none of which are damage spells) and they can pick staple spells from other classes to round out their selection (like Counterspell or Shield). By default, they also have staple Cleric spells like Cure Wounds and Raise Dead.

Lore Bards are also the best at dispelling magic and counterspelling enemy casters, since they add half their proficiency bonus to these checks (also Initiative) and later on can roll their Bardic die on top as well. Not only that, they can use use their reaction to roll their Bardic Inspiration and subtract from enemy caster dispels and counterspells, if a roll is needed.
They literally dominate casters at their own thing.

The only build that can match a Lore Bard in spellcasting prowess is a Lore Master Wizard (UA).
>>
>>53952115
I think a create water cantrip would get abused rather quickly.
>>
>>53952115
Seems abusable. Also makes survival too easy
>>
There's this 1 guy in my group who always goes "epic tragic backstory" that he shoehorns into literally everything that happens in the campaign so everything is constantly about only them. Anyone else have this guy in their group? Fucking hate him.
>>
>>53952129
>they cast spells as many times as a Wizard
Well wizards do have arcane recovery
>>
>>53952115
too abusable. infinite conjuring of anything can be abused just via gravity
>>
>>53952129
>none of which are damage spells

But anon, fireball is the best spell in the game.
>>
>>53952177
Technically true but if you assume short rests are possible (a rarity) then warlocks basically have infinite spells.
>>
File: 1372740580203.jpg (315KB, 900x1298px) Image search: [Google]
1372740580203.jpg
315KB, 900x1298px
>>53951498
Nothing wrong with tweaking things on the fly, assuming you're not a DM who likes to counter all the players' tech and murder them. I did this more in 3.5 than 4th, but with 5th being more like 3rd I may again
>>
CHANGE ONE THING THAT WOULD MAKE A CLASS HINDERED BUT STILL PLAYABLE
>>
>bladelock is shit
>bladesinger requires you to be an elf
Well. Paladin it is then. Again.
>>
>>53952233
what's wrong with elfs?
>>
>>53952193
The Lore Bard can pick up forgotten spells like Destructive Wave, probably the most powerful aoe damage spell in the game, which was included in the PHB but Wizards only added it to one domain of one class (I doubt it was intentional).
Bards can pick it up just fine and have a wide-radius aoe with only targets of their choice, two different damage types and prone condition added on top.

Fireball a shit.
>>
>>53952253
>what's wrong with elfs?
being elf's mostly
>>
>>53952203
>assume short rests are possible
What sort of DM doesn't give players at least one rest per day?
>>
>>53952233
S T O N E
O
R
C
E
R
E
R
>>
>>53952268
1 hour of safety is hard to come by

If I was a DM I'd make short rests like 10 minutes but only allow the benefits of one or maybe two per day
>>
>>53952233
Bladelock is a functional gish.

Bladesinger isn't actually a gish.
>>
What do I use my bonus action for if I'm a Paladin and not using PAM?
>>
File: laser18.jpg (35KB, 699x433px) Image search: [Google]
laser18.jpg
35KB, 699x433px
Is casting Eldritch Blast every turn really that bad?
You could fluff it as wearing a device that allows you to manipulate energy. The Great Old One patron could actually be aliens.
>>
>>53952268
assholes that's who
>>
>>53952233
>bladesinger requires you to be an elf

I mean, it doesn't.
>>
>>53952293
Great Weapon Master, Hex.
>>
>>53952293
Shield master shove if you are using a shield.
>>
File: RAWBladesinger.png (160KB, 393x164px) Image search: [Google]
RAWBladesinger.png
160KB, 393x164px
>>53952329
RAW it most certainly does.
>>
>>53952387
>this restrictions reflects a specific setting

I mean, if people only run official books then sure.
>>
>>53952387
Only if you're playing in the Forgotten Realms.
>>
File: 1471729283878.png (241KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1471729283878.png
241KB, 500x370px
tabixe monk
Dragonborn monk
Gnome Bard
Half elf druid
Dwarf barbarian
Kenku rogue

In a mostly human setting

K I L L
M E
>>
>>53952387
so basically "It's not exclusive to elves unless your DM is a fucking asshole"

Like I really hate DMs like that. This is a game, we're trying to have fun. Letting someone be a bladesinger as a human wont break the game. Stop being a dickhead and let us enjoy.
>>
>>53952285
>1 hour of saftey
>hard to come by
Do you live in a world where you can't go 5 minutes or 5 steps without being swarmed by bats?
>>
>>53952180
>>53952162
>>53952144
True. What about this:
>You can materialize up to 5 gallons of water from the environment around you. If the environment you are in does not have enough water to materialize 5 gallons, this spell materializes as much as it can, up to 5 gallons. Casting this cantrip again dematerializes any water already materialized by this cantrip. Water materialized with this spell is undrinkable unless you have some other way to purify it.
>>
>>53952418
what's the issue?
>>
>>53952443
Call it condensation/evaporation and make it a single gallon.
>>
File: 1386647193629.png (120KB, 362x394px) Image search: [Google]
1386647193629.png
120KB, 362x394px
>>53950512
a-anyone?
>>
>>53952530
i'm not talking about changing crit range or what you add to roles or shit. Not everything needs to be by the book exactly. Why can't a human have been orphaned and raised by elves and is a bladesinger or something? How will this break the game?
>>
>>53952547
That means yes, it's too stupid/corny/obscure to even reply to.
>>
>>53950996
>>53951062
If you want feedback on what your players think is important, or reminders about things you forgot and they didn't, great! Bring it up! I do that too (I just ask "what are you excited about" at some point before the session).
You could totally have a player write his own recap and mail it to the group a day before a session, too. It will get them hyped up and give you that feedback, sure. But then you should open the actual session with your GM recap.

Seriously, the recap is an incredibly powerful tool, and only you can wield it to the best effect. Putting it in a player's hand is not only inefficient, it can be dangerous.
1. GM recaps let you dispel misunderstandings. If you let a player recap, those can and will spread to the group, and you'll have to correct them. It can be plain wrong information, or a complete misunderstanding about the importance of flavor text vs major plot point.
2. GM recaps let summarize the story so far in a way that makes sense chronologically and narratively. Players will forget important connections, things that happened multiple sessions ago, revelations about a PC or NPC, where the party is right now, why they're here, absolutely vital shit. Meanwhile, do it yourself and they'll have a complete picture.
3. GM recaps let you set the scene and immediately jump to interaction. Player recaps need to be awkwardly transitioned out of.

Do not give up this tool. Especially not if it's in exchange for unfocused rambling from 1 guy about what he thought was important last session. You can have that separately.

Also, I disagree, it's not a great way to engage players except one specific "GM type" of players who like adding to the world, delivering information, etc. Plus, if your other players won't listen to your recap, they won't listen to this guy's either, so you're not being "engaging", you're just appealing to a single player's sense of fun.
>>
>>53952530
>in this one setting this is how it is
>but if your DM is okay with changing it based on their setting that's totally okay
I know it's hard to understand, but not everything is a hard and fast rule, anon.
>>
>>53952569
DM controls the world. If they want a gnome bladesinger there's a gnome bladesinger.
>>
>>53952530
>Limiting a class to one race without balance concerns as a cause is lame
>FUCKING FREEFORM FAGS
>>
>>53952635
freeform is best form. I had a guy wanting to play a drunken dwarf fighter and I changed some rules up. Only used 1 handed weapons because his other hand was always holding a stein. Once a day he could his "hold my beer" which gives him 18-20 was crit but 1-3 was complete and utter failure falling on his face like a dunk idiot.
>>
whats the most fun solo cleric?
>>
>>53952709
Excellent
>>
>>53952774
Light
>>
>>53947083
What's the best way to use time stop?
>>
>>53952443
> You target a space no larger than one cubic foot. Most of the water vapor from within a 100-foot sphere centered on the target location magically condenses, creating up to one gallon of liquid water. This water cannot be frozen by any means. After one minute, the water instantly and harmlessly evaporates, even if contained, mixed, absorbed, or drank. This effect ends instantly if you dismiss it as an action. This spell fails if any creature has cast it with a target location within 100 feet of the target location in the last five minutes.
>>
>>53952844
>This spell fails if any creature has cast it with a target location within 100 feet of the target location in the last five minutes.
...within 100 feet of your target location.
>>
Which spell should I take, Grease, or Fog Cloud? Which is more useful?
>>
>>53952387
>>53952424
>>53952530
>>53952635
>Arguing over whether bladesingers should be elf-only or not when bladesingers shouldn't exist in the first place
It's a trash archetype.
>>
>>53952904
Grease for tactical combat and sometimes shenanigans.
Fog cloud for escapes.
>>
>>53951862
>Sorcerrer
Know less spells but have great passive abillities.
Gets a resource called sorcery points to spend on features that Wizards get by default.
Only good thing is that you can convert these points into spell slots to remedy lack of recovery on short rests.

>Wizard
Learns new spells by leveling up or transcribing them from scrolls. Covers almost all spells in the game.
Full caser spell slots and recover about half of those on short rests.

>Warlock
Has great active and passive abillities through invocatons and patrons.
Only 2 spell slots tho that scale with Warlock levels and recover on short rest.
>>
>>53952844
Can you explain why it would need those limitations and time limit?
>>
>>53952971
But, I can only take one. Which should I take?
>>
>>53953027
So you can't have Party flood a dungeon by having 5 man creating a gallon every 6 seconds and then evaporating it all once occupants have drowned.
>>
>>53953057
That's why I had the limitations for only 5 gallons and the water evaporating if it's cast again. They could have 25 gallons at that point though, which is a lot I suppose.
>>
>>53952442
But he's right. Imagine hiding somewhere in a bandit hideout for four to eight hours straight. What are the odds some guy won't walk into your hiding spot? Or find the door suspiciously locked/stuck while nobody inside answers? No matter where your rest, it'll have to be super out of the way OR well guarded.

Taking ten minutes to catch your breath and lick your wounds in the storeroom though, now that I can see happening. An hour, ehhh, maybe, but that's risky. More and you're out of luck.

I guess it depends on the dungeon too. A tomb is certainly more calm. An orc warcamp is likely worse.
>>
>>53950512

Honestly without knowing the tone of the game, the setting, the group and the GM it's hard to blindly reccomend a character concept.

My advice would be for you to talk to your GM and work out something that fits into the world and the campaign and is linked to the other players.
>>
>>53953130
If you're not in a dungeon, 1 hour of breaktime is practically gauranteed.

If you are in a dungeon, just barricade the doors or hide in a side room. People don't check the storeroom every fucking hour.

Or use rope trick.
Or just kill whoever interrupts your rest and keep resting.

The idea is that the rest can be interrupted, potentially, if you do it in a stupid place and you're penalized on time, and that's why it's an hour.
>>
>>53952774
tempest
>>
I'm about to make a Gunsmith, anything interesting you can do gameplay wise?

I will eventually get the sniper feat to shoot from up to 500 feet away whenever I'm able to. Anything else, this also includes multiclassing, even though I know you shouldn't multiclass UA stuff?
>>
>>53953086
I mean 25 gal is just half of a drum. Not that big a deal.
>>
>>53949808
Anchoring to the soul and being seems like it might be taxing...i wound go for constitution.
>>
>>53953191
I've never played an artificer but I want to. Maybe build a flying construct so you can fly around on its back, strafing enemies?
>>
What are some spells and abilities that give regenerating HP per round?
>>
What are some "upgrades" my PC's can purchase for their weapons at the smithy?

I thought it was a neat idea they suggested but I didn't have a clue, so I charged half the retail price of the weapon for it to crit on a 19 or 20 for the next 8 hours.
"The smith sharpens your blade at the grinding wheel..."
>>
>>53953180
People don't get the storeroom every fucking hour but they might if the players don't go out of their way to hide the corpse of slain enemies.

Otherwise, I agree.
>>
>>53953224
Yeah I was planing on doing that anyway. Seems like the best choice for the feature, making it still useful even later without it scaling with your level
>>
>>53953243
That tree ranger does that, doesn't he? Like a radius effect of temp hitpoints each round.
>>
Does anyone have some third party pdfs that help with dming in 5e? Need some help with worldbuilding and adding cool shit to see.
>>
>>53953243
Champion's 18th level ability (survivor)
>>
Would the Goliath Powerful Build trait and the Brawny feat from the Skill Feats UA stack? Both make you count as one size larger for carrying capacity, so would you end up as Huge or just being Large twice?

The Bearbarian level 6 doubles carrying capacity without effecting size, so it stacks with them, but it doesn't seem worth it if I can't haul over a metric ton of weight unassisted.
>>
>>53953027
Also because there's only so much water vapor in the air. (Muh magical """""realism"""""!)

Players can be min/max-y munchkin fucks. Fluffy, fun spells turn into "YOU FOOL, YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD" too easily for spells to *not* have restrictions like that.

The restricted version of the spell leaves room for prestidigitation-tier parlor tricks and fun, without providing an infinite supply of water for drinking and dungeon-destroying jackassery.
>>
>>53947083
>how do we fix artificer
They can't be fixed because 5e is based purely on rest based resources. They'll always be regular guys who receive boxes full of equipment in the mail on scheduled dates.
>>
Best race for a barbarian other than v. Human? I was thinking bugbear, but I'm not so sure

Also, is dex barbs good? How they compare to str ones?
>>
>>53953243
Warlocks can take an Invocation that gives them False Life as a cantrip, which translates to 1d4+4 temporary hit points per action.

The spell Regenerate, obviously.

The Immortal Mystic and Primordial Ranger both gain THP equal to their spellcasting modifier per round, and the spell Heroism gives that effect to its targets.

Generally, you're limited to THP for these effects, or you need to be low on HP (Champion comes to mind).
>>
>>53953412
Dex barbs are fine. They're good for being tanky.
However, you should multiclass into rogue after barbarian level 5.
They can use reckless attack and rage damage, but they only really use it to get sneak attack when they have decent dex because the reckless attack offsets the reduced hit chance and rage damage offsets the reduced damage.

I kind of want to say the best race for a barbarian is halfling considering they make great dex barbarians.
>>
>>53953320
A memester said the 4e DMG has great DMing advice. Try your luck, pal.

>>53953412
Half-Orc, Hill Dwarf
Dex barbs a shit
>>
>>53947083
Wider spell selection. 1/2 caster instead of 1/4 caster. Unique to the class spells. Additional Rituals or General Ritual casting, find familiar and steed definitely added as options with the caveat of "as constructs" perhaps? Items made by artificer class feature do not count toward attunement limit instead of extra attunement slots?

Make Mechanical Servant the focus of a subclass.
Make a subclass focusing on Wands
Make a subclass focusing on enhancing arms and armor temporarily or provide spells to that affect for allies.
Make a rogue master maker subclass for bodily construct enhancement.
Utility focused Magewright subclass maybe?
>>
File: 1494931336052.png (592KB, 489x538px) Image search: [Google]
1494931336052.png
592KB, 489x538px
>>53953254
>>53953254
>>
File: 1484707064622.jpg (370KB, 1600x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1484707064622.jpg
370KB, 1600x1014px
Which race fits best within the 'nomadic desert people who like to tinker and create stuff' context?
>>
>>53953645
Depends on what they are supposed to create, nomads by default don't go much into hoarding and they are limited in production facilities and perishable crafts materials.
>>
>>53953645
Rock Gnome
>>
>>53953254
They don't really fit as upgrades your average blacksmith could produce, but a lot of the properties from here are good ways to add a bit of flavor to a weapon.

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/

Obviously, some are a bit too strong (why bother with a magical weapon when you can just have a Force greatsword?), but aside from those cases most work fine.
>>
>>53953495
What weapons does a dex barb use? Rage rapiers?
>>
Remember, don't reply or retort, just ignore and report.
>>
>>53953712
>>
>>53953722
Rapier+shield.
If you want to dual-wield instead of stack up AC and defence, strength barbarogue is probably better suited.
>>
So I'm the guy who want to make a gunsmith. I've thought about going with a Kenku. But Kenku and Artificer is a weird combo because Kenku lack creativity.

So I'm thinking that he maybe had a legendary artificer as a master who he traveled with for many years and learned from him. So instead of inventing new things himself, he just hones his crafting skills and copies the things his master once crafted.
>>
>>53953645
Could do kobolds.

Blue scaled kobolds, taking after blue dragons.
>>
File: I9GoBdI.jpg (191KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
I9GoBdI.jpg
191KB, 1024x1024px
>>53949452
pic related
>>
>>53953645
Vulture-men? Some kind of smart and curious desert bird.
>>
>>53952222
>assuming you're not a DM who likes to counter all the players' tech and murder them
No, I usually see fights that are too hard as a failure of judgement on my part unless it's for reasons regarding the players' own stupidity

>>53951512
are you ok? i'm guessing this is a /tg/ meme
>>
>>53950512
try my friends idea. It was fun as fuck. >>53952709 drunken fist master fighter.
I was GM with it. Ask your GM to use my hold my beer ability once every day or 8 hour rest. It was exciting and funny as fuck sometimes.
>>
>>53953645
Well dorfs certainly have the constitution to trek in deserts.
Maybe they use their stonecunning as master well-diggers to create subterran oasis for travellers and then spend all year travelling between them doing maintenance.

They can do sandstone, bone scrimshaw.
And if lucky on your nameday maybe ivory/ebony.

Add in the typical dwarven clannishness with trade secrets and you have people few trust but all are forced to rely on.

And their grudges will be horrible.
>No payment?
No well!
>Assaulting a clanman?
That's three years of silt and sand left to clog.
>Kill a clansnan?
Your generation won't see wellwater again.
>>
>>53952418
sounds like a group of outcasts trying to make their way in the world! RP the shit out of the interactions with humans who have probably never seen half of those races.
>>
Vampires would probably employ Vampire Spawns, Wolves, Ghouls?

What sorta shit would they employ?
>>
>>53954198
Also no coal and little wood, and dung doesnt burn hot enought for a forge, so in a few hidden mesas there exists wonders, cut into the stone a miracle of mirrors and lenses melted from sand and shaped exgaustingly by hand; Sunforges, only a few hours at a few days every year steel may glow white and take shape anew.

Part practicality, part tradition, part religion.

...did I make all that up or just supconciously rip off Dark Sun?
>>
Anyone have any of Nord Games shit?
>Ultimate NPCs: Skullduggery
>Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde
>Any of their decks, from Critical Hits DM and Player, Luck, or Loot
Bought into their most recent kikestarter, and just wondering if any of the old decks are worth getting as add-ons. Would be much obliged if anyone has copies of them or the two Monster Manual expansions.
>>
Weapon of Warning or a +1 weapon?
>>
I don't want to die. Want to be a super tank. Damage and everything else is secondary. What should I be? I'm looking at paladin. Heavy armor, shield, can heal myself. Looks good.
>>
File: weww.png (55KB, 199x178px) Image search: [Google]
weww.png
55KB, 199x178px
>>53954665
Paladin. Long Death Monk. Immortal Mystic
>>
>>53954665
Dex barbarogue. Up con to 20, then dex.
Multiclass into rogue after barbarian level 5.
Get bear rogue.
Also grab tough.
You could even go hill dwarf if you're in it for the long run and want to max out your HP, but halfling is probably better for +1 con +2 dex and rerolling 1s is just generally great, especially if you roll a 1 on your saves.
>>
So I know wolf totem barbarians are mediocre but I kind of want to play one

What's a good build to make the most out of it?
>>
File: Tech Knight.pdf (545KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Tech Knight.pdf
545KB, 1x1px
>>53954665
>don't want to die
Sorry, son. You already have. You were a devoted knight, and your death was not meant to be your final end. So the Gearpriests have given you a new life of sorts in a perfect body of artifice. A nice adaptable RoboCop ready to take on all threats with the ability to swap upgrades around to have the tools you need when you need them.

inb4 middle finger of vecna is trash, and upgrades can be found here: http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/05/magitech-templar.html
>>
>>53954797
>Wolf totem
>Mediocre
>Give four people advantage almost all the time
Yeah, right.

Wolf totem varies from 'Why?' to 'Meh' to 'Okay' to 'Great' to 'Must Have' depending on the team.

The reason most people don't pick it is because they're selfish buggers and bear embodies what you play barbarian for: Not dying.

And if you insist on going full barbarian rather than barbarogue, it's practically obligatory you get PAM/GWM/PAM+GWM and/or sentinel or maybe shield master. Not getting feats on a barbarian is kinda pointless unless you're barbaroguing.
>>
>>53954846
Oh it's actually good? I've never play one myself.

Barbrogue sounds fun, what's the best weapons/stats to use for it?
>>
What spells I take for a sorcerer that specializes in earth magic?
>>
>>53954907
You're basically grappling 90% of the time.
>>
>>53954814
>You gain the rogue uncanny dodge and evasion features
>Regen
>Burrow Speed
If PAM didn't exist to take paladin reactions up, this would be OP, but it's still silly.

I'd honestly say it's a better design for a dex paladin than redemption paladin though. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>53954846
I have a wolfbarian in my group. Nearly free advantage against enemies is pretty great
>>
>>53954907
If you're going strength, you should probably go for two shortswords as it's easier to grapple like that and bonus attacks add rage damage / you're going to probably reckless attack some so more attacks are welcome.
If you're going dex, rapier+shield because you probably don't care as much about grapples or damage and just want to be tanky.

>>53954939
Grappling is a side benefit.
>>
>>53954979
>>53954939
Dual shortsword grappling sounds neat, think I'll go with that.

Thanks lads, going to play this in my next game.
>>
How do I replicate the claw of the wyrm rune in real life?
>>
>>53947794
>Wizard asks if he can freeze the water around a fleeing goblins feet with ray of frost
>Tell him he can try

A good dm will let characters try just about anything, but it's up to them to be inspired to do so.

I ended up letting him freeze the water anyhow. That goblin wasn't gonna get away anyways. He would have easily killed it with that ray of frost instead so I just let him roll with it for 'fun' purposes. Our group's 7' pali dragonborn then proceeded to run over and separate the top of its body from its kneecaps. Fun times.
>>
>>53952829
Every time you cast it, look the at the DM and say "You're probably wondering how I got here"
>>
>>53947794
>can I jump farther than my movement
>no
>but this spell triples my jump distance
>no fuck you mearls says so
>>
>>53951093
That is what the creating encounters part of the DMG is explicitly about.
>>
>>53953730
What are you talking about?
>>
How do I make a !notVampire player character using an Undying Warlock?
>>
>>53952254
>Destructive Wave
Paladin spell. Check the errata. Downside is no range and no scaling. Great spell all the same.
>>
>>53953407
It wouldn't be fun, but it makes sense to me that they'd have to prepare their shit ahead of time somewhat more rigidly than the typical spontaneous casting. It'd still be made with magic.
>>
What is the best circle for a support druid that won't be using wildshape much?
Is Celestial Warlock good at healing?
>>
>>53955234
>but this spell triples my jump distance
Talk to me when your spell triples your movement distance.
>>
>>53952254
>probably the most powerful aoe damage spell in the game
>10d6
?
>>
>>53955493
There's a vampire race release in one of the Plane Shift things.
>>
>>53952254
>>53955503
The only reason I would play a Hexblade is because they get Destructive Wave 3 times per short rest at level 9.
>>
>>53955493
Wasn't Undying Light changed to the Celestial?
>>
>>53955806
Two damage types that are rarely resisted, 10d6, allies are immune, knocks prone and covers a huge area.
>>
>>53955857
Is Hexblade worth using anymore without Cursebringer?
>>
>>53955878
Undying != Undying Light. Probably why it was changed.
>>
>>53955234
In what situation is a caster going to cast jump on a martial who can't dash as a bonus action in order for them to use their action to do more than what the caster could have done with their action?
>>
What's the most underrated martial weapon?
>>
>>53955897
I was always a fan of pure-CHA Sword and Board. I'd rather be using my spellslots for casting control and buff spells then just being a shitty knock-off Paladin.

The smites were fine and they should've kept it, I just personally don't like it.

>>53955918
Lance.
>>
>>53955914
When you need to jump something
>>
>>53955918
Bladed Scarf
>>
>>53955918
Net
>>
File: 1396927178329.jpg (28KB, 246x216px) Image search: [Google]
1396927178329.jpg
28KB, 246x216px
>New level 1 character
>Decide to make my second sword and board character
>Figure I'll go with Dueling this time
>So much damage
>Damage everywhere
>Double digit damage with one swing

Oh God it's so good!
>>
>>53955979
>Always at disadvantage
Fuck nets
>>
>>53955995
In my CoS campaign we gave the Sunsword to our dueling ranger and she's a goddamn monster with it. Lit up Strahd for 100+ damage in 3 rounds thanks to a pair of crits. He barely managed an escape.
>>
File: shadow lab.gif (2MB, 1250x798px) Image search: [Google]
shadow lab.gif
2MB, 1250x798px
Do I go with a hunters conclave archer or a beast master archer for an upcoming 5e game? This is with the revised ranger.
>>
>>53956194
whatever sounds like more fun 4 u
>>
>>53956002
> Not using Crossbow expert net
> Not using Lucky net
>>
>>53956194
If you want to be good at ranged combat, hunter ranger gives ranger an actual purpose with having at-will AoE attacks.
If you want to just have a cute pet I guess beast master ranger is okay.

>>53955995
>1d8+5 damage
Considering a wizard will still sometimes outdamage you with firebolt, it's pretty pathetic desu

Real fighter numbers are 1d6+13.
>>
>>53956194
Beast master archer. Go Halfling and ride your wolf / panther, grab crossbow expert so you can shoot at point-blank (advantage from prone) and dash / disengage around the battlefield.
>>
>>53956307

It feels good though!
>>
File: 1496313571321.jpg (39KB, 573x598px) Image search: [Google]
1496313571321.jpg
39KB, 573x598px
>>53956321
If you want to ride something around you can just buy a horse instead of losing ranger's only real reason to exist when dex fighter exists.

>>53956335
You're having fun wrong. Start feeling bad.
>>
>>53956360

I always feel bad, since I hate myself and want to die, but I do like hitting things with solid objects! I did play a Wizard recently...that didn't turn out well. Had fun with the Cleric though! Druid was okay. I don't think I like casters much. Trying my hand with a Sorcerer now, gonna see if I like it better than the Wizard.
>>
>>53956307
> Implying he will reach the level where he can use Volley
> Implying Volley is good
Low damage. 10 feet radius isn't nearly enough at that level where you will be fighting Large or Huge enemy.
>>
>>53956273
But both seem like fun to me.

>>53956307
So beast mastery kinda sucks?
>>
>>53956414
To be honest, I don't know.

It's just that I'm not sure what kind of role it's trying to fill and it's a bit harder to say anyway.
>>
>>53956360
Horse can't attack with reaction.
Horse can't knock enemy prone.
Horse die easily.

Ranger is the only class that get a scaling combat pet. Other classes could do AoE better.
>>
File: fitlit.jpg (42KB, 920x343px) Image search: [Google]
fitlit.jpg
42KB, 920x343px
>>53955995
>tfw your polearm fighter does damage that pidly duelist manlets only think of
>>
>>53956414
> He doesn't know about action economy
Look anon... Do you know why find familiar is regard as the best thing ever?

Help action outside of combat. Do you want to have advantage on almost every skill check ever? If you want to argue about at-will AoE, Beastmaster also get one at reduce range but with added effect.
>>
>>53956442
>Other classes could do AoE better
Sure, the volley does about the same damage as a fireball but over a smaller radius and is less reliable since it doesn't have the half damage on failure clause, but the point is they do it at-will.

If your DM actually runs encounters as by the book then you'll be better off than a wizard who spams fireballs.

Problem is nobody's ever following the crazy talk the book expects so fireball wizard is probably actually better.
>>
>>53956508
My only concern is that they seem to have piddly HP and I can't buff their damage and AC at the same time. So if it dies i'm out a feature. An important feature until I can revive it.
>>
>>53956552
if you have the money you can just buy barding for them. iirc crawford says he wouldn't overthink animal armor proficiency.
>>
>>53956552
>>53956561
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/05/how-does-a-rangers-companions-ac-work-with-barding-and-there-proficiency-bonus/
nvm it was mearls so who knows, but the point still stands. It shouldn't be too hard to find a beast with 14 dex, and iirc some of the birb beasts use dex for their attack modifier.
>>
File: Ihavenofuckingidea.jpg (41KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
Ihavenofuckingidea.jpg
41KB, 500x372px
How's this spell list look for Divination Wizard 6 / Knowledge Cleric 1? Never played a wizard before so I just threw it together. Looking for feedback before I commit it to paper.

0- Fire Bolt
0- Mage Hand
0- Message
0- Create Bonfire
0- Green-Flame Blade (extra wizard cantrip from high elf)
0- Guidance (cleric)
0- Mending (cleric)
0- Resistance (cleric)

1- Feather Fall (mandatory for RP reasons)
1- Shield
1- Protection from Evil/Good (undead theme campaign)
1- Magic Missile
1- Grease
1- Detect Magic
1- Charm Person
1- Disguise Self

2- Blindness/Deafness
2- Detect Thoughts
2- Flaming Sphere
2- Pyrotechnics

3- Dispel Magic
3- Leomund's Tiny Hut
3- Melf's Minute Meteors
3- Clarivoyance

Cleric domain spells: Command, Identify
>>
>>53954942
Keep in mind that you can only change your upgrades when you take a rest, rather at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>53956552
> can't buff damage and AC at the same time
That's depend on your beast. Wolf and Panther use DEX to attack and damage
>>
>>53956696
They do? If so, I'd be more comfortable then going with one of them for sure then.
>>
>>53956725
Both are also useful for utility; wolves have pack tactics / keen hearing+ smell, while Panthers are stealthy and have a climb speed.
>>
>>53956683
I didn't even notice that you could change it at all.

But why would you change away from getting a different class's key level 5 feature AND a level 7 feature from that class at the same time?
>>
>>53956583
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/29/do-animals-need-proficiency-in-that-type-of-armor-to-avoid-penalties/

JC just pulled "DM decided whether a creature is proficient with equipment, see MM"
>>
>>53956632
> No counterspell
> No healing word
> No saving throw cantrip
Why?
>>
>>53956792
Because you have to be level 20 to pick it? Read the fucking archetype, dude. You get to pick any Magitech upgrade that you qualify for, and at level 11 and level 20, you get an extra upgrade slot for 2 at 11 and 3 at 20.

In order to get Evasion, you must have Stealth and Speed. Those are two separate upgrades. By all means, pick them and basically become Paladin Raiden, but that isn't something you can go at level 3. Also, sometimes you are faced by a challenge that can't be solved by being a mecha-ninja, and instead you need that ability to Burrow or Fly or maybe you want to turn into Huge paladin of mechanical justice at level 20.

MFoV's shit is rarely perfect -- fuck, I've rewritten plenty of their stuff for use in home games -- but don't read an issue into it that doesn't actually exist.
>>
>>53956853
> No counterspell
Our Tomelock has it, so I took dispel magic instead

> No healing word
I left the Cleric spells out (aside from the 2 domain spells) since they're prepared from the entire list

> No saving throw cantrip
Create Bonfire
>>
What UA spells is the spell viewer missing? I noticed it's missing the Starter Spells UA, so I might have to add those in myself, but are there any others?
>>
>>53956914
You know counterspell is a spellslot war right? Warlock can only cast like 2 time. And not to mentioned enemy can counterspell his counterspell too.
>>
>>53956725
And then there is stuff like Pteranodon (a halfling can ride it) with flyby and Giant Crab that start at 17 AC.
>>
>>53957026
Fair point, maybe I'll change that back
>>
>>53956743
BUt panthers automatically make you a drizzt clone
>>
>>53957054
You should probably take Minute meteor out. If you want to go with fire theme (since you have so many fire spell), take Scorching Ray and Fireball instead.

Don't forget that Wizard can add more spell into their book via money.
>>
>>53957147
refluff it into a Leopard or Cheetah.
>>
>>53957169
Would a mountain lion work?
>>
>>53957213
Too much into furry territory. nah, just talk with your DM
>>
File: 1497652125384.gif (550KB, 728x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497652125384.gif
550KB, 728x720px
>>53957266
I only picked that because my character would be from a mountainous region.
>>
>>53957213
Isn't a mountain lion a panther?
>>
>>53957151
>You should probably take Minute meteor out. If you want to go with fire theme (since you have so many fire spell), take Scorching Ray and Fireball instead.
Ok, I'll probably take Fireball since I was debating between that and MMM anyway.

>Don't forget that Wizard can add more spell into their book via money.
I'm not holding my breath for it. Our DM has been keeping us starved for loot, and it fucking sucks. After 7 levels my last character had earned maybe 130gp total. And we've found a single scroll (some Cleric spell) and no spellbooks. Whatever spells I pick is what I'm going to be stuck with.
>>
>>53957289
They have too many names.
>>
>>53957288
Mountain lions are everywhere, not just mountains
>>
File: 2525.jpg (63KB, 365x344px) Image search: [Google]
2525.jpg
63KB, 365x344px
>yfw you use pointbuy and join a group where everyone prerolled their stats
>yfw they all have 20 in their main stat
>>
>>53957328
quit. obviously they are all cheater. especially if none of them have 4/5/6 stats.
>>
So just for theory.... in a Beastfolk setting what would Dwarves be? My current thought is Badgers.
>>
>>53957293
>that hilarious contempt for the rough approximation of WBL
Fucking what, dude? Even just using the basic guidelines in the DMG, you should have seen roughly 8k at level 7.
>>
>>53957328
Why would you use different systems for generating ability scores?

Also if the rolls weren't made in front of the DM (at least) then they aren't legit
>>
>>53957362
SALAMANDSTROOOOOM
>>
>>53957371
>Fucking what, dude? Even just using the basic guidelines in the DMG, you should have seen roughly 8k at level 7.
....Dude. No you haven't. Basic guidelines are are barely 1,000 gp per character by level 7.
>>
>>53957362
Rabbits, dwarves fuck like mad (or is that just an FR thing)
>>
>>53957404
just an FR thing.

In eberron they're the jew bankers.
>>
>>53957395
I have no idea what this means.

>>53957404
I thought about rabbits, but dwarves are tough and slow.
>>
>>53957442
Make them have evolved to be that way than anon
>>
>>53957415
They count their shekels all day and night, that sounds like a dragon to me
>>
>>53957395
EUALIAAAAAAAAA
>>
need a new bread
>>
>>53957400
Not according to page 133 of the DMG, calculating the average result for the various treasure hordes found "over the course of the typical campaign."
>>
>>53957529
well fuck I mispelled that
>>
>>53957537
Make one yourself anon its not hard
>>
>>53957371
I think it's supposed to be 500-750gp by level 5-10 but we're still starved for loot. It really sucks. Hold on to your shorts though, story time:

>Party finds some plate mail for our Paladin but it needs repaired/modified to fit
>Find a blacksmith who charges us most of our gold (250gp, after persuasion)
>5 sessions later it's ready
>Paladin goes to pick it up quickly while the rest of the party is preparing for a sidequest
>BBEG shows up and curses the armor (with our fucking Paladin already wearing it!) and now the armor is now useless

The only thing that keeps me sane is playing in a second campaign that actually has a competent GM.
>>
Do people really hate it when bard players bring IRL instruments or sing?
>>
>>53957548
That's for the whole party at the end of the campaign.
>>
>>53957588
Please don't force yourself if you're not either a reasonably good musician or an absolutely garbage one.
>>
>>53957588
Depends

Are you singing/playing entire songs or just playing a few notes or singing a sentence

Because going through a full song would get really irritating
>>
>>53957567
Why do you even fucking bother playing in that game? Are you a masochist?

Get help.
>>
My players, all level 4, are entering a magical forest that's been corrupted, killing all of the trees and presumably turning whatever is left in them aggressive.

What are some good enemies to put in this area? I have an insane dryad planned, but I can't seem to think of what else could work. Normal animals ignore the magical element of the woods, but most of the other fey creatures are sentient and just making them crazy seems a bit cheap.

Anyone got suggestions?
>>
>>53957567
That's the chart on page 30-something that is just for the wealth of new characters which gives a hilariously different result than the rest of the actual treasure hoards on page 133.

>>53957595
Why, it's almost as if you can divide those 45 encounters up into a progression from 1 to 20. Amazing, isn't it?
Level 1, 0 gp
Level 2, 40 gp
Level 3, 280 gp
Level 4, 420 gp
Level 5, 560 gp
Level 6, 4500 gp
Level 7, 8400 gp
Level 8, 12,300 gp
Level 9, 16,200 gp
Level 10, 20,100 gp
Level 11, 24,100 gp
Level 12, 42,400 gp
Level 13, 60,700 gp
Level 14, 79,000 gp
Level 15, 97,300 gp
Level 16, 116,000 gp
Level 17, 134,000 gp
Level 18, 362,000 gp
Level 19, 590,000 gp
Level 20, 818,000 gp
>>
>>53957567
Domestic abuse is no laughing matter, friend. It sounds like you need some kind of counseling, you might have Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>53957622
A verse or short poem usually.
>>
Gonna make a Warlock. I think I'll be making a GOO Bladelock but I'm really not sure. How would I go about this? I think we'll be starting at level 6. Should I take two levels in Fighter and sacrifice Thirsting Blade until later on? Or should I just stick with a Rapier and Light Armor and just go full on Warlock, missing out on Action Surge but having more Invocations sooner? I'm having a lot of trouble with these decisions.
>>
>>53957730
Don't. Just make an eldritch knight.
>>
>>53957638
Sounds like a good place for a golthias tree
>>
>>53957638
>>53957841
This
>>
>>53957747
Eh, fuck it. I'll just make a Tomelock.
Thread posts: 438
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.