[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 372
Thread images: 38

File: Remorhaz.png (1MB, 1238x1101px) Image search: [Google]
Remorhaz.png
1MB, 1238x1101px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Remorhaz Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>53894813
>>
What was the best gimmick of an NPC that you or your DM have come up with?
>>
reposting

I'm getting tired of spending all my time writing campaigns and I'm not really interested in doing any of the 5e adventure modules yet.

Anyone have a favorite community module they can suggest?
>>
>>53904343
All the merchants are one guy wearing a different hat. This is mainly because our DM is shite at voices.
>>
>>53904442
Is he a peddler of souls and oddities, plying the world with a wagon named Needful Things?
>>
>>53904462
Who knows!
>>
Can a 1-INT character survive without drowning in his own saliva? How do you roleplay 1 INT?
>>
>>53904619
Like this:

Hhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaahuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuujjkakakkakakakkakakakakakakakakakakakakakhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's obviously just one of the option you have though.
>>
>>53904619
You don't. Anything with 1 INT might as well be cave moss.
>>
>>53904360
Most community made modules are just as shit, if not worse, than official ones.
>>
>>53904691

Fuck, well I guess I need to start writing my own, I just wish I was better at it
>>
>>53904343
I have a guy called Teshet Stander, who always announces himself as "Teshet Stander, Master Thief, and Superb Lover".

He bursts through windows, has a pseudo-Spanish accent, and essentially does anything that will heighten the drama.

He's just fun to play with. He's by far my party's favourite character and they look for any excuse to interact with him. I like him because I get to turn the ham up to ten.
>>
File: 2009-05-07-Truth-Potion.png (409KB, 953x392px) Image search: [Google]
2009-05-07-Truth-Potion.png
409KB, 953x392px
>>53904319

How the fuck do I make a potion of healing? With an Herbalist kit like the poisoner's?
>>
>>53904762
You don't. There's no crafting rules in this edition.

Now go delve some dungeons.
>>
>>53904783
What? There clearly are! However crafting takes quite a while.
>>
File: afro paladin.jpg (66KB, 600x532px) Image search: [Google]
afro paladin.jpg
66KB, 600x532px
>>53904783

There's plenty of crafting rules, they're just strewn abouy different tomes and do not always reference they are a part of the same whole

someone here understands

someone here will know
>>
>>53904762
Herbalist's Kit. Using the UA: Downtime it will take you a single day and 25gp per potion.
>>
Is there even any replayability to Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>53904877
Kinda. The treasures hiding place are random everytime you play
>>
Princes of the Apocalypse. What's your verdicts, Anons?
>>
>>53904927
Long, boring slog.

I played once, DM'd it once, and we just couldn't finish it normally either time.

Could work if you cut a lot of the chaff and have better ability than me or my DM for running sandbox-y campaigns.
>>
>>53904937

My gf recently started DMing it. Fortunately she has a flair for bringing characters and towns to life. Will that help, or is it a lost cause?
>>
>>53904963
If she can keep it up? Maybe. I think there's just too much dungeoneering going on, and the dungeons themselves aren't especially interesting (also, the world really isn't built to handle reconnaissance by familiar and infinite wizard rituals, but that's a FR/5e problem).
>>
I kind of want to start up a Mystic before the next UA probably guts it like they did UA Bladelock.
>>
What's currently the best way to build a Warlock of some ancient sentient magical sea monster?
Playing 5e tomorrow, new campaign, new DM, he's allowing UA. We're starting from level 1.
I'm thinking human GOOlock because Claw of Acamar looks perfect for him as a bladelock and Gift of the Depths could work at 5th level.
Kind of want to give him a cannibal flavour, like he sees the mother of sea monsters as his mother and figures if he isn't eating people and causing mass destruction he isn't doing it right, but he's still human and likes the party so he limits it to acceptable targets like bandits and monsters and dungeons.
Any advice on building him?
>>
>>53905274
Sea Sorcerer/GOOlock. Push and pull niggas everywhere.
>>
>>53905236
Okay.
>>
What is everyone'sfavourite 5e adventure modules, WotC or otherwise?
>>
>>53905274
GOOlock fits perfectly thematically, though the Undying patron works quite well as well, especially with the level 10 ability that means you don't need water and don't need to eat traditional food - like, the cannibalism would be purely ritualistic.
>>
>>53904100
>5th edition
>Healer memes

'We need a healer' is for groups than run by shitty base death save rules.
>>
>>53904762
Just ask your DM for healing potions.
>>
>>53905344
>have a life cleric and valor bard with aura of vitality and healing spells in the group
never dying here
>>
Mind Thrust talent VS Energy Beam talent

I really need opinions on this
To me Mind Thrust would be a clear winner, why would I pick Energy Beam?
>>
>>53905308
One level of sea sorcerer and then goolock?
Mixing the Water Curse sorcerer ability with Grasp of Hadar invocation to pull things 25 feet towards me? Does that work? I feel like it should only work with sorcerer spells.
Shit Claw of Acamar's thing doesn't even say it needs to be a sorcerer spell. Eldritch Smite does. Speaking of, would Eldritch Smite and Claw of Acamar work at the same time if I expend 2 spell slots? Knock them prone and reduce speed to 0 making them unable to get up?
>>53905336
I think I'm gonna go with GOO, hadn't considered undying though.
>>
>>53905391
Mind thrust really is just better just for
>int saves, the hardest to pass in the game
>dex saves, the easiest pass in the game

Never mind the higher damage and better damage type
>>
>>53905322
Thank you for listening to my concerns.
>>
>>53905393
>One level of sea sorcerer and then goolock?

Other way around.

You want most of your levels to be sorcerer for the sorcery points to quicken. 2-3 is the recommended level for warlock.

Of course, you can take more for invocations and stuff, that's just the recommended.
>>
>>53905391
The point of Energy Beam is exploiting enemies with damage vulnerabilies, usually you'd take Energy Beam in addition to Mind Thrust.
>>
>>53905440
np
>>
>>53905451
How many times have you met an enemy with an acid / fire / thunder / lightning vulnerability and how would that justify passing on a spell with longer range, bigger dice, a +2 when using psionic assault, psychic damage and an INT save?
>>
>>53905505
The last few sessions have been Mummies, Blights, and Hobgoblins so that's 2 of 3.
>>
>>53905447
I wanted Sculptor of Flesh to once per day turn myself into some kind of sea monster.
A 7th level sorcerer could do it too but a lot of the things I want for my character are behind Invocations so higher warlock levels are better, especially since I want a minimum of 5 warlock levels to grab Gift of the Depths, and while Watery Form is cool it doesn't match the flavour of the character.
>>
>>53905517
But I doubt it's all you ever met in your D&D career.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage

Nine.

Nine vulnerabilities is the big maximum. And it's for fire; the element that also has the highest immunity rate after poison (a fucking 95 immunities).

Psychic has only 10 immunities and one resistance.
>>
>>53905567
>assuming monsters follow the distribution as they appear in the MM

dude, come on
>>
>>53905567
Aren't undead immune to psychic damage?
>>
My Barbarian is about to hit level 4. Should I go for Polearm Master or Great Weapon Master?

He's a hill dwarf with 18/12/14/9/12/9 stats (we had to roll for them). I feel like PAM will be better since the bonus attack adds at least 7 damage already when in Rage, which balances out the damage from GWM, and also because I'll be able to team up with the Fighter (who also has PAM) to block off an area of 30 feet from invaders who'll take opportunity attacks when trying to get past.

Mostly I'm worried that GWM will bite me in the ass by making me miss too often though.
>>
I have only ever played 3.5th editon (many years ago back in highschool) and only a little. I was wondering if its worth getting into D&D 5th.E (e.g is it new player friendly) and seeming there are no groups near me that play due to me being in another country, has anyone tried tools like roll 20, etc. to play? and if so what are their experiences with them. I am thumbing through the player's basic rules and it seems more straight forward than pathfinder.
>>
>>53905608
Yeah like I'm probably gonna fight enough mummies, treants and twig blights to ever justify picking Energy Beam

Fire Elementals don't even have a vulnerability to cold

>>53905634
Apparently not. So I guess the dead aren't mindless, psychic damage would disrupt their connection to the living plane.
>>
>>53905634
No idea. In either case, he asked why Energy Beam existed and I told him; whether it's actually useful for that purpose or not depends on your DM and if they use things with Vulnerability or if they'd let you use it in the environment- ie: starting fires, freezing water, damaging structures, etc.

Personally I'd buff it by letting it do any damage type except Force or the melee ones like Slashing.
>>
>>53904927
I just finished running it. Everyone had fun, I enjoyed running it too, but I am looking forward to something different.
>>
>>53905669
5e is actually one of the best things you can get into. The rules are streamlined and everything works out of the box, the PHB ranger and monk of the four elements are weaker though but not retardedly so like in PF.
Play 5e if you want to play a rpg and not an autistic shitfest.
>>
>>53905684
Thing is, it's kind of supposed to be the character's trademark skill (kid that set everything on fire back then and chills drinks at parties now), but mind thrust is just that much better, and since I'm the only one in the group able to do non-physical damage, I kinda feel the pressure to take something powerful that targets INT. Maybe take a Wu Jen discipline instead fot compensate.
>>
>>53905669
5e is simple. The system basically revolves around trying to be as accessible and easy to run as possible. Roll20 is a mixed bag. Most of the time you will find a bad group, sometimes you will come across a good one. You could try other places to find the group, like reddit, then play on roll20
>>
>>53905652
GWM
>lets you use D12 weapons
>lets you use bonus action attacks on crit or kill
>+10 damage per hit, -5 to hit is offset by using reckless attack

PAM
>limited to D10
>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage

But really it's up to you, and depends a bit on your subclass.
>>
>>53905377
>Not a lifecleric1/lorebard6
Scrubs.
>>
>>53905726
>>53905703
Alright, thanks for the advice, I will go and check if there are groups running for new players on plebbit after I finish reading this Basic rules booklet.
>>
>>53905750
>>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage

what?

>>53905652

PAM is more reliable, go for it.
>>
>>53905750
>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage
This makes no sense, you don't need to ready the attack.

>>53905652
On a Barb, GWM + Reckless Attack for days. You'll be hitting hard as fuck which is what you need.

Depending on your exact build it changes, but I know Paladins are better off with PAM over GWM.
>>
>>53905819
>>53905824
>cant OFTEN
Rage needs you to make the attack action (or get hurt) before the end of every turn. The implication of >>53905652 was that he and the fighter were going to cover an area, but when using Rage (as you should be), you -need- to be moving to attack every turn.

The best you can hope for using PAM as a Barb are people trying to engage you after you've already initiated onto one of their buddies.
>>
Very very new 5e player here.
What's the best build and strategy for a monk in your experience?

I'm looking to make an Ip Man, Jet Li type of warrior monk.
>>
>>53905876
Point buy, variant human
16 wis and 16 dex at level 1 with 14 con
Get mobile.
Raise dex to 20
then raise wis to 20.

Do not go four elements.
>>
>>53905876
Just take monk levels and max dex with ASIs.
>>
Could some wise math anon do some math and see how significant a boost in accuracy Elven Accuracy gives?
>>
>>53905873
True, but you won't always have Rage available. You can just Dodge and wait for baddies to come to you, and then enter Rage when they start attacking y ou.

Downside there is that you'll need to use your bonus action on the second round of combat to enter rage, meaning you won't be able to get any extra attacks for two rounds (the first where you're waiting for the charge and the second when you're starting your rage).

I kind of feel like entering Rage should be a free action rather than a bonus action, but hey, them's the rules.
>>
File: therockeyeroll.gif (2MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
therockeyeroll.gif
2MB, 267x200px
> roll20's Strahd module came out 5 hours ago
> nothing ITT or in trove
>>
My group's usual campaign is taking a break, and I'll be running two one-shots. I was thinking of doing a bank heist for the first one, and having the players be the guards investigating the bank heist during the second one. Is dumb and boring? I can trust the players to not metagame.
>>
File: 1497581770258.jpg (49KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1497581770258.jpg
49KB, 665x574px
Hello /5eg/, I hope you all are doing well today. I'm running, "Princes of the Apocalypse," and really wanted to have fun some weapon ideas, so I gave everyone magical weapons that grow as they level and junk. So far it has helped role-playing immensely because it's another factor that helps define their character (that got to design it).

One of my players is a Bard and I was planning on giving him songs akin to the ones in 3.5e: they take an Action, are 1 minute Concentration and can only be used per day. My question for all this is: does a song that grants a bonus to Damage rolls based off of the Bard's Charisma modifier broken?
>>
>>53905960
Trove is dead anon, some faggot ratted him out to roll 20 after he added the tokens
>>
File: 1493467085881.png (145KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
1493467085881.png
145KB, 500x392px
>>53905960
>Expecting it to appear after 5 hours

>After the guy who updated the mega got killed by r20
>>
>Do not go four elements.
Yeah I was getting that impression too.
Open Hand then? That's what I'm leaning towards.
>>
>>53905914
So monk multi-classing is generally not a good idea?
>>
>>53906036
>>Do not go four elements.
>Yeah I was getting that impression too.
>Open Hand then? That's what I'm leaning towards.
>>53905914
Sorry forgot to actually leave the post tag in the reply.
>>
>>53906036
Open hand generally, radiant soul if playing a really lethal game and you don't want mobile and want to stay away half the time, long death to spam 'no actually I don't die', shadow monk if you like stealth.
>>
>>53906036
Yeah, four elements is super shit
For a pure fighter type monk, Open Hand is good and probably the most appropriate. Shadow also has amazing utility and mobility, very anti-caster
>>
>>53906120
Im playing a goblin shadow monk who got a cloak of elven kind and I haven't been seen yet when I didn't want to be
>>
New mystic when?
>>
>>53906142
High stealth doesn't make you invisible, though. So you'd have to not stand in plain sight.

You say 'seen' but all you're really doing is making yourself silent.
>>
>>53906120
I guess it'll depend on the rest of my party. I don't really want to make decisions based on party composition, but I guess sometimes that's wise.
>>
>>53905982
Who's the feckless little cumstain what did that?
>>
>>53906312
Never, if the gods are merciful.
>>
I'm new to this general.

Who or what is trove?
>>
>>53906312
UAs are back on a monthly schedule so likely July 5th at the earliest.
>>
>>53906400
MEGA trove containing lots of downloadable shit, including player handbook, DMG, etc. books.

Check the OP.
>>
>>53906400
Hello I am trove.
>>
>>53906417
So, what is in there will be everything to ever be in there, correct?

I have used this MEGA archive numerous times and was mildly confused just now as to why it was "dead" when it is still there.

>>53906424
What's up, trove. Heard a lot about you. Respect for what you've done for this community!
>>
>>53906319
Im using pass without trace to boost my modifier, but shadowmonks can do that
>>
>>53906439
>Wow look at my skillcheck modifier to be silent!
>You stand in front of the guardsman
>FIFTY STEALTH
>The guardsman stares you down
>'I can see you, you know.'
>>
>>53906319
Cloak of elvenkind makes you blend in with the environment, camouflaging you
>>
>>53906475
Well at that point his neck would be broken anyways
>>
>>53906475
Eventually he'll get Empty Body and become the most undetectable fuck in existence.

By then they'll be fighting shit with Truesight more often though.
>>
>>53906478
Mechanically, it gives you advantage on stealth and opponents disadvantage on perception checks. You still need a place to hide.
>>
>>53906514
Thats what bonus action disengage is for senpai
>>
File: no fun.jpg (71KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
no fun.jpg
71KB, 448x473px
>My second character has died in our CoS campaign

Really, this "anywhere you go there are already 50 vampire spawn waiting to ambush you and throw you off a cliff" bullshit is boring. And all the NPCs in Barovia are garbage, apparently.
>>
>>53905652
Get 16 CON
>>
>>53906713
Git gud.
>>
>>53906713
Wait til you get to the amber temple and pick up the bone wings, you'll just have to eat bones and dirt for the rest of your life
>>
>>53906713
Play a devotion paladin or a light cleric.
>>
>>53906478
As the other said, it doesn't provide anything that allows you to hide in plain sight.
Flavourwise, it blends you in but you'll still be seen if standing at point blank.

>>53906509
Empty body is the weirdest shit considering it turns monk from 'squishy' to 'tanky' at level 18 of all times.
>>
Advice for tackling the Amber Temple?
Accept the dark gifts?
>>
File: IMG_1393.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1393.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>53906775
Well when that happens, I... I... pocket sand
>>
>>53906783
Accept the one that allows you to resurrect anyone.
Resurrect either Sergei, or Argynvost.
>>
>>53906048
Monk abilities tend to force you to take more monk levels so you get more ki to keep using them reliably. Also monk actually has great high level features. Diamond Soul and Empty Body are amazing defensively.
>>
>>53906902
Not him but
Im going monk 17 rogue 3 is this a good multiclass
>>
File: 1497920654937.png (198KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1497920654937.png
198KB, 550x535px
>Improvise a guard captain for a tough encounter
>Warlock in the party crits hex eldritch blast on first turn of combat
>Guard captain survives with 1 HP and I just say he's down
>rest of guards retreat with the body
Is it fair to upgrade this dude to the thug stat block?
>>
>>53906941

Build him as his own NPC with character classes now. Make him a proper challenge for the party.
>>
>>53906939
It's redundant.
>>
>>53906941
Did he actually do anything besides get shot? Because you could downgrade him to Cripple statblock.

Have a sad bit where the party is going through the barracks, sees this guard in a hospital knocked out still with flowers from his wife and a poorly made picture of a cat or something from a child. be sure to play a tiny violin.
>>
>>53906771
Someone wants me to play their character's sister (who is already indirectly involved in the campaign via Sending spell). Problem is she's a High Elf, Divination Wizard 6, Nature Cleric 1 - and I'm not entirely sure how to make that work so that I won't end up with another squishy character that gets skullfucked at the start of every fight.
>>
>>53906980
Why, monks don't get sneak attack and expertise or assassinate
>>
>>53906988
He was supposed to be strong, but clearly twice the HP of a level 1 barbarian wasn't enough.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that Rogues get Blindsense but Monks dont?
>>
>>53907008
>>>53906980
>Why, monks don't get sneak attack and expertise or assassinate
I too would like to know why not
>>
>>53907008
2d6 of sneak attack is nothing

You didn't say Assassin, you said rogue. Assassin gives you a reason.
>>
File: The Revolution.jpg (10KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
The Revolution.jpg
10KB, 267x189px
Does anyone have any battle music recommendations for a party with a communist revolutionary paladin and a disco sorcerer? Most of our music so far is disco and Communist anthems, but we need some good stuff for fights.
>>
Is there currently any subclasses that utilise blood?
Like casting from HP, spending HP to deal extra damage by coating your weapons in it, a sorcerer origin that can turn HP into sorcery points?
>>
>>53907077
Closest thing is Mystic, which can burn HP rather than PSI once a day.
>>
>>53907066
>>53907077
>the state of /5eg/
>>
>>53907066
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA
>>
>>53907057
2d6 sneak attack is better than no sneak attack desu
>>
>>53904343
A nudist gnome that keeps shouting "Teeheehee Macaroni Macaroni"
>>
>>53907189
Don't you start
>>
>>53907140
Damn, not even close to what I wanted.
>>53907141
I will not apologise.
I want a character with poisonous blood who coats his weapons in it and uses magic to pull crossbow bolts out of his arm made of the blood.
>>
>>53907203
Im sure /pgg/ will have what you're looking for, try asking there
>>
2nd fortnightly game game cancelled due to to junk happening hold me I feel weak and cold.
>>
File: checking his pockets for change.jpg (16KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
checking his pockets for change.jpg
16KB, 500x461px
>>53907234
>>
>>53907234
No you hold me I have severe health issues I AM weak and cold

AND game cancelled
>>
A blood mage could be cool but I'd rule it as evil, same with necromancy and oath of conquest
>>
>>53907189
>>53907141
>>
File: giradot-sc3-wallpp.jpg (321KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
giradot-sc3-wallpp.jpg
321KB, 1280x1024px
Kinda feel like designing an older Knight who fights with a Lance on foot, probably a Battlemaster. Is this practical at all or should I just take a refluffed Halberd and PAM it up?
>>
>>53907163
Depends on the level. It's not worth delaying Extra Attack
>>
>>53907295
>disadvantage on targets within 5ft
Just use a pike.
>>
>>53905873
>>53905956

Why would you 'ever' wait for a charge?

First of all, running interference/meatwall is retarded. It's only barely supported by the system, and realistically only Fighter can do it because of needing 2 Feats (Polearm Master + Sentinel) and a UA Fighting Style for it.

So this is what Barbarian does: you have a reach weapon, so you get within reach of one enemy, but not another, so if they intend to engage you they will eat the reaction. There, done.
>>
>>53907233
I'm playing 5e though, dumbass.
>>53907281
That's fair, do you think it'd be a sorcery origin or a wizard tradition? Also hp drain at high levels yay or nay?
>>
Is Purple Dragon Knight good for a supporting role?
>>
>>53907303
I was planning it after 11th when I get a d8 damage die
>>
>>53907311
Humorously enough PAM doesn't work with a Pike.
>>
>>53907323
Sorcerer, give up Max HP as a bonus action to generate sorcery points, you don't get them back until long rest.
>>
>>53907342
Purp Durp Knigga is good for nothing. It's only saving virtue is that it's a Fighter so it could have literally nothing for an archetype and still be "passable".
>>
>>53907323
Wizard school. Yeah it'd need some kind of self healing mechanic in order for the wizard to not just kill himself. What would be the point of losing hp to cast a spell if you only have limited spell slots?
Unless you can lose hp instead of burning a spell slot.
>>
>>53907350
Not worth delaying Diamond Soul and your ASI for Expertise and 2d6 sneak attack. Monks need every stat boost they can get their calloused mittens on.

The 3rd level archetype abilities aren't useful for a monk.
>>
>>53907375
>>53907385
These are both pretty good.
If it's sorcerer I like the maxHP instead of standard HP, saves on people abusing tempHP and lets you turn HP into SP to generate more spell slots. But then how would healing work? Spend some sorcery points, make an attack, deal damage and gain that much HP if the attack lands?
As for wizard, it doesn't uses sorcery points, making a tradition that uses blood points that work like sorcery points would be cool though. For the wizard I think the self healing should still be limited but not sure what number to limit it at, number of times = wizard level + Con modifier, reset uses on long(maybe short?) rest?
>>
Can bards choose the raise dead spell?
>>
>>53907502
Bard can choose literally any spell.
>>
>>53907502
bards can choose whatever spell they fucking feel like (at appropriate levels)
>>
My players have already done Deaths House before so I want to use Sunless citadel as the intro to Barovia, the idea is after destroying the Gulthias tree, a few nights later for rolls in and nights surround the village accompanied by the barovian Wicca druids, playing them as a big plot point for curse of strahd. I was thinking of having townsfolk betray the party and hand them over so the village is left unharmed, or possibly have the players flee through the misty forest and just get magically lost with the druids on their tail, any thoughts?
>>
>>53907587
*Fog rolls in and the blights, fuck autocorrect sorcery.
>>
>>53906941
Low level characters have low HP but relatively high potential damage (like in your case a lucky crit), same goes for NPC's. If you want to absolutely guarantee that some NPC live longer than a round (especially a Captain or some equally high ranking sorta dude) its not unfair to either max out their hit die (looking at Guard this changes the HP from 11 to 17), buff AC (from 16 to say 18 cause why wouldn't the guard captain have some full plate) or just substitute Guard for another stat block like for example Knight, Bandit Captain (refluffed as Guard Captain) or Veteran (though to make the encounter balanced you need to reduce the number of goons at his side)
>>
File: bayard-wu-last-stand.jpg (323KB, 1680x1003px) Image search: [Google]
bayard-wu-last-stand.jpg
323KB, 1680x1003px
Half-Orc Fighter or Barbarian? Which puts out better damage? Which is more fun to play?

Why are Half-Orcs the best damn race?
>>
>>53907587
Come on now, you can do better. Look at the stuff you got to play with

>Gulthias Tree
>Evil Druid
>Corrupted Paladin
>Ice Dragon

Just use Travel Via Plants in between Gulthias trees as a means for the Druid's escape and have him run right into Barovia

Say the White Dragon hatchling was actually the last heir of Argynvost which the Druid was set in charge of fucking around with for Strahd's pleasure.
>>
Reposting from last thread. Anyone have any of Nord Games shit?
>Ultimate NPCs: Skullduggery
>Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde
>Any of their decks, from Critical Hits DM and Player, Luck, or Loot
Bought into their most recent kikestarter, and just wondering if any of the old decks are worth getting as add-ons. Would be much oblidged if anyone has copies of them or the two Monster Manual expansions.
>>
>>53907455
I guess I was thinking that the Sorcerer wouldn't heal themselves, they would live on the edge, bleeding themselves dry to shit out ungodly amounts of metamagic.

You could make the first feature a bonus action to give up Max hp in exchange for sorcery points (in the same way vampire blood drain attacks reduce your max hp)

Second feature would be that if you kill something with a spell you gain some temp hp. Temp HP can go over your max health but it goes away after the fight so using too much blood magic is still dangerous.

Maybe third feature would be an action that drains max hp from others and increases your max hp by the amount once per long rest. (your max would revert to its normal amount after the long rest obviously)
>>
>>53907682
Champion fighter, for savage attacks and improved critical combo
>>
>>53907682
>Why are Half-Orcs the best damn race?
Bugbears are better
>>
>>53907754
It's a touchy subject but I think a sorcerer that expends their short rest hit die for power and offense rather than using them for healing seems perfectly thematic.
>>
>>53907754
That sounds balanced to me.
I would like if they got some extra metamagic options, like a direct damage attack that costs sorcery points but is slightly stronger than a cantrip or a weapon buff.
Using the sorcery points to make spell slots and cast flavoured spells works though, magic weapon for coating weapon in magic blood, not sure what else though.
>>
>>53907682
once fighter starts getting his second extra attack he outdamages the barbarian but barbarian keeps just slightly ahead i think before then mostly because of reckless attack and rage damage
>>
>>53906775
>Implying they just got tanky at extra body and haven't been getting passive and active defenses the whole time.
I mean empty body, but now I have an idea for a new monk thing.
>>
>>53907864
Fighters get one extra ASI at 6th level, they have fighting style and action surge. Besides, it's not that it's impossible to get Advantage without Reckless Attack (BM can even use trip attack to get advantage)
>>
>>53907857
I can't think of any metamagic options that are good, but you could give them like Blood Bolt or something as a cantrip that always costs a sorcery point but is really strong?
>>
>>53907787
Dex-based Champion/Rogue multiclass for all those extra Sneak Attack dice on crit.
>>
>>53907682
Fuck what >>53907787 said.

While Fighter math-wise works out to have higher damage ceilings, Champion fighters are literally "Roll to attack and hope for a crit" EVERY ROUND. Doing anything else becomes >suboptimal cause you COULD have crit that attack that you didn't take. It becomes a boing slog of waiting for a nova spike that will never come when you want or need it to.

Play Barbarian! Your Meanacing and Relentless Endurance racial features work really well with it and Savage Attacks is an excellent cherry on top when you do crit.

Go bear totem at 3rd level and never look back, shit is dope as you have more than double the effective hp of a fighter when raging and only have about 2 less AC at lower levels if you get some medium armour early on until you CON get a chance to catch up (even then I think it only works out as having 1 extra AC with 20 CON).
Pick up either GWM or PAM at level 4 and then max your strength ASAP. After that either max con or pick up the feat you didn't take at level 4 and/or sentinel.

Trust me, everyone that I know that would say "Martials Suck" hadn't given barbarians a proper go and had stuck with fighter or rogues the whole time.

You don't have to roleplay Hurf Durf Muh Axe and Muh Angry all the time (though it can be fun to indulge that kind of mindless RP for fun sometimes). I suggest to most new player that when they think of their archetypical "fighter" from most tv series or anime (or whatever shit they are into) it usually will fit into the barbarian class feature way better than the fighter class features.
>>
>>53907942
How about as an add-on to the first feature you can cast Blood Bolt (range 60ft 1d10+cha piercing damage) for 1 sorcery point and at later levels you can increase the sorcery points to progress it like a cantrip would normally?
That way it's viable, costs more than a cantrip and is slightly stronger.
>>
>>53908019
Or he could Champion 3/BearBarb X and become the ultimate crit fisher.
>>
File: image.png (878KB, 988x851px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
878KB, 988x851px
What are some of your ideas for random encounters? I don't care if it's mild or completely stupid.

>Wizard trying to summon shit
>fucks it up
>random homebrew creature from any franchise is summoned.
>Kills the wizard and attacks the party.

>Party sees what looks like a red comet in the sky
>roll perception
>Something isn't right
>"red comet" suddenly dives down and crashes far away from the party
>explosion
>approaching the crash site will trigger a boss fight with pic related
>Killing it will allow the party to craft armor and weapons out of it

>Two Ayy lmaos walking away with a cow.
>>
>>53907991
Fighter 5/Rogue 15, Fighter 6/Rogue 14 or Fighter 11/Rogue 9?
>>
>>53908105
A car-size meteor impacts nearby. It's not magic or anything, though it might be considered valuable.

If you're in the city this could get interesting real quick.
>>
File: 1469361024878.jpg (361KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469361024878.jpg
361KB, 1280x720px
>>53907273
Not him but I need to blogpost about the pain and suffering.

I had an infection in my nose with a bad sore/boil/lump, and they sliced it open and squeezed some of the pus and blood out. Without anesthetic (can't really inject it in that area of the nose). Holy crap did it hurt. I'm a pretty tough guy who had his arm ripped open in a big accident and I never batted an eye—this time, though, my body forcefully reacted in tears. Insane.

I woke up yesterday morning nauseous and almost threw up, had chronic headaches from the throbbing pain and having to constantly clean the incision, and couldn't get any prep for my games done. It's been bleeding pus and blood for the last 2 days straight. I think it finally sealed after I accidentally swatted my nose in my sleep last night. After bleeding all over my face last night it finally clogged up.

Now I have a massive cut on my red glowing nose like a gritty version of Rudolf the Reindeer. At least it doesn't hurt anymore and now I can finally start on prep.
>>
>>53908057
That could work fairly well in theory but that delays getting ASI/feat and extra attack until level 7 and 8 respectively, which is where the bulk of the campaign will take place in most cases. The last person you want at the table that can't pull their weight in the party is the front line martial cause then the whole party could get fucked
>>
>>53907066
https://youtu.be/th4Czv1j3F8
>>
>>53908019
>It becomes a boing slog of waiting for a nova spike that will never come when you want or need it to.
>Play Barbarian!
But barbarians are just as boring as fighters, they just attack mindlessly
>>
>>53908128
Barbarian 5/Rogue 15
>>
File: Boromir.jpg (104KB, 900x714px) Image search: [Google]
Boromir.jpg
104KB, 900x714px
>Play a forge cleric
>Get to level 3
>Hey, I've got this new spell called Heat Metal
>Wonder what's it d-
>mfw
>>
>>53908180
>get Manacles or chain
>Grapple them onto an enemy not wearing metal
>Heat Metal
>>
>>53907314
To protect your squishies? Charging into the room with both of your tank characters leaves the back line unguarded.
>>
>>53908163
Barbarian 5 > Fighter 3 > Barbarian 17
>>
>>53908215
>metal nets
>>
>>53908227
5e only has backlines if the DM uses aggro pull mechanics.

In that case you can do whatever you want.
>>
Gonna make a vengeance Paladin. Sword and board or 2h Anons? Doing stat buy and feats are allowed.
>>
>>53908433
2H. Haste + GWM
>>
I'm a first time DM and new to D&D, running LMOP currently.
The Forgotten Realms wiki keeps mentioning the 'spellplague', which as far as I understand was a huge divine clusterfuck from 4th Edition cannon, that altered magic, changed the pantheons, fused two planets and later calmed down.
However, there is zero mention of the spellplague in the LMOP adventure. Nothing. Is it not canon in 5th Edition Faerun? And if so is there a more up to date wiki I can visit for accurate information? I don't want Conyberry to be a magically corrupted place full of small floating islands, that's just silly.
>>
>>53908433
Playing a Vengeance paladin without a two-hander is like coffee without water. Sure, you can do it. But what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>53908690
Its just not relevent to such a small time adventure anon
>>
>>53908708

I-I'm sorry, Anon senpai.

I just thought a lot of Paladin damage is independent of the weapon, and I could take Shield Master and get a shield spike.

And a lot of coffees don't use water. Maybe a nice latte?
>>
Sword and shield or Greatsword for Ancestor Barbarian?
>>
>>53907369
Ask your DM if you can use a shortlance or longspear, both of which have 10ft and do piercing damage.
>>
>>53908152

Oh yeah, the ones in your nose are pretty rough. Hard getting used to those.
>>
>>53908794
I dunno, if I and my group branch into a second adventure where the spellplague's effects are more pronounced it'd be cheap to just go "oh also there was this HUGE magical apocalypse a hundred years ago and it changed everything but I never brought it up because it wasn't relevant until now".
>>
>>53908105
Well I met your mom last night

>>53908152
Exams are one of the most retarded ideas

Even the teachers agree that there are better ways to pass a year
>>
>>53908180
>>53908215
>>53908270
create arrows with metal shafts/tips, give to archer in group.
>>
>>53908829
Shield barbs are lame.
>>
>>53908911
Most of it was retconned with the second sundering and mystra's return, with mostly everything going back to normal
>>
>>53909028
Conan the barbarian use shield
>>
>>53909028
>>53908829
Shield barbs work fine, but you should multiclass into rogue after level 5.
>>
>>53908433
PAM is clearly the best route to go.
Shieldmaster is okay if you don't plan on playing past level 10.
PAM+quarterstaff+shield is a good alternative to PAM+2h.
GWM is fine if you don't plan on playing past level 10.
Anything else you do 'for flavour'.
>>
>>53909065
Ancestral Shield though
>>
>>53908962
>Literally worse smite
>>
>>53909113
well, considering we're talking about a cleric, no one cares if it's a worse smite.
>>
>>53909109
If there's a really good level 6 ability or whatever you can grab that I guess, but still, multiclass into rogue.

It's fine to not multiclass into rogue, but most of the 6+ features aren't worth it. The level 20 feature is great, but that's fucking level 20.
>>
File: 1496424322860.png (63KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1496424322860.png
63KB, 500x283px
>>53909113
>Metal arrow embedded in you
>Start taking damage every turn
>No save whatsoever
>Have to stop fighting to pull it out
>IT'S JUST A WORSE SMITE
>>
>>53909028

>DMing a game
>Party is level 3
>TWF Barb is starting to get fed up with being pounded
>Decides to use a shield for a session
>Is pleased with his increased survivability, but conflicted because he wanted to keep two-weapon fighting
>He was in the middle of completing a side quest he had been given (each player got one) and I had decided to award him an animated shield as a reward, wasn't sure if he'd like it when I picked it out though
>Everything went better than expected
>>
I can't choose between Favored Soul Sorcerer or Celestial Warlock. Both fit with my character concept. Which one is better mechanically?

From my past experience with this DM, he either throw us 2-3 encounter before a short rest, if we are dungeon delving or just 1-2 deadly encounter before long rest, if we are traveling.
>>
Attempting to adapt 5e into a sci-fi type of system.

I want to replace "Nature" checks with planetary bodies, the galaxy, solar systems, etc, but can't think of a proper name for it.

Any ideas, friends?
>>
>>53909209
Go with Celestial Warlock, more interesting in my opinion.
>>
>>53909209
Celestial warlock because those ridiculous free healing words.
You know what's even better?

Celestial warlock - favoured soul multiclass.
>>
>>53909222

Uh...Astronomy?
>>
File: 1475167132366.jpg (301KB, 1066x766px) Image search: [Google]
1475167132366.jpg
301KB, 1066x766px
>>53909252
Goddamnit why didn't I think of that.

Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>53909222
>Implying nature is no longer relevant
Unless it comes under 'medicine', because medicine needs that buff.
But then why is wisdom still a stat in sci-fi?

ALso, it's astrofuckingology, but somebody posted that before my post cooldown came off.
>>
>>53909249
> multiclassing UA
>>
I'm trying out a Paladin/Warlock multiclass. What's the optimal level spread I should take? I'm fiendlock and haven't picked my archetypes for either.
>>
File: PatPat.gif (410KB, 830x470px) Image search: [Google]
PatPat.gif
410KB, 830x470px
>>53909264

There there, we all have our moments sometimes.
>>
>>53909165
not to mention the REAL bonus is that it works on beasts and other non metal wearing creatures.
>>
>>53909302
Warlock 3 (Pact of the Tomb) / Paladin the rest.
Shillelagh shenanigan.
>>
File: mcmeme.jpg (81KB, 1080x686px) Image search: [Google]
mcmeme.jpg
81KB, 1080x686px
I've had a Revised Beastmaster bumping around my head for a while with a complete background but never actually got around to making them mechanically.

Would a CBE+Sharpshooter with one hand crossbow Revised Beastmaster be any good or nah? Seems like the best way to reliably get an extra attack in on an archetype that otherwise doesn't get one, and CBE means I can fight decently at 5ft.

Probably play them as a stereotypical Cowboy bounty hunter type.
>>
>>53909301
In this case there's no
>multiclassing UA
That breaks the game.
It's just that sorlock is better, not that the UA content has any synergy when multiclassed. In fact, celestial warlock kinda discourages multiclassing a bit. As does favoured soul.
>>
>>53909350
Have a companion that can knock people prone too. If you're within 5ft, you get advantage with crossbow attack.

Be a halfling and ride your companion too, if you want.
>>
>>53909350
Yes, picking Crossbow Expert is nice if you don't have anything better to spend your bonus action on.
>>
>>53909339
You mean book, right?
Unfortunately we start at level 3 and I started with a Pal2/War1 spread so to be effective at this level I took 16 Str, making Shillelagh less than optimal. I agree that Warlock 3 is tempting for the Pact and warlock levels are tempting in general for more short-rest smites. Extra attack can't come fast enough, but I can get that from Warlock 5. What are the Paladin levels offering me that it's better to that instead of taking more Warlock levels?
>>
>>53909433
Aura of Protection. Also the fact that pact of the blade suck and investing your limited invocation slot on it suck even more.
>>
>>53909433
> not going Paladin 1 (for armor) / Warlock 2 and spam Eldritch Blast like mad for a level.
>>
File: folding glaive.png (39KB, 197x708px) Image search: [Google]
folding glaive.png
39KB, 197x708px
>>53909410
Yeah that's what made me end up going with CBE, otherwise I'd have to be swapping between melee and ranged constantly since I'll be taking a dire wolf as a mount, and SS is honestly just better than GWM because I can pull out a Heavy Crossbow for sniping if needed and be just as effective.

Too bad though because I had a majorly overdesigned kit for this guy and I'll be dropping 90% of the weapons in favor of just a Hand Crossbow and Shortsword, like this folding Glaive.
>>
>>53909498
I probably should have mentioned that my group allows everyone to start with a feat (barring Vhuman) so I'm doing some sPAMming of another nature. This is a good idea though and I'll do it next time.

>>53909481
Thanks for the advice. I'll avoid blade.
>>
>>53909433
Pact of the Blade is awful for Palalocks for reasons already stated. Paladins are solid through their first 11 levels (particularly 6/7 depending on oath), while the meat of Warlock is levels 2-3 from Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight, Tome cantrips, and two lvl 2 short rest slots.
>>
>>53909222
Knowledge (Cosmos).
>>
>>53909098

Why does GWF start losing traction after 10?
>>
>>53906048
Monks can multiclass well only after you reach 20 DEX.

>>53906312
Only after they streamline that shit.
>>
Besides Tolkein books/movies and Dwarf Fortress, what are some things I can watch/read/play to get some creative inspiration to RP a dwarf?

I'm not a very creative person with words, and I'm going to be playing for the first time this weekend. I know nobody should expect much of a new player, but I'll try to prepare a bit.
>>
So we all know druids fuck animals in wild shape. My question is, in the standard DnD cosmology, is that behavior lawful good or chaotic good, and why?
>>
>>53909835
>lawful good or chaotic good
>not neutral-neutral
>>
>>53909825
Snow White
>>
File: Rum Ham.jpg (80KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
Rum Ham.jpg
80KB, 500x272px
>>53909825
Always Sunny
>>
>>53909988
>goes into first session
>will not stop saying Hi-Ho and singing everything
>>
literally what is the point of the Trident
>>
>>53910107
to be three times as pointy.
>>
>>53910142
So clearly it needs to be dealing 3d4 damage, yeah?
>>
>>53910149
except each point is 1/3 the pointy-ness of a normal point.
>>
>>53910161
So what you're saying is 1d8 Versatile 1d10 with Finesse but no Thrown property?
>>
>>53910178
no, that's clearly OP (overly pointy)
>>
>>53910107
Tridents are inferior to spears in real life, so they're inferior in the game too. What's the problem?
>>
>>53904619
At one int in this edition you're dumber than many animals.In most older editions, a score that low would mean you're nonverbal, illiterate, barely even sentient and had no hope of ever learning magic

Now take in mind that the minimum int to speak was seemingly bumped to 6 from 2-3 in those editions and you'll begin to understand why it's a bad idea.
>>
>>53910291
I DUNNO NIGGA MAYBE I JUST WANT TO MAKE A DEX FIGHTER THAT ISN'T
>HAND CROSSBOW MEMES
>RAPIER
>SOME FUCKING KNOIFES

That and the fact it's literally identical to a Spear but arbitrarily harder to use.
>>
What race and class is best for RPing a cute girl?
>>
>>53910448
>>53902423
>>
>>53910448
Half-Orc Barbarian
>>
>>53910456
Qlippoths are the best race/class for playing cute girls? Interesting...
>>
Is Sun Soul Monk a real thing in 5e? I can't seem to find which UA It's in.
>>
>>53910317
>I DUNNO NIGGA MAYBE I JUST WANT TO MAKE A DEX FIGHTER THAT ISN'T
So use Rapiers and refluff them, you little shit. You aren't going to get a 1d10 finesse weapon anytime soon.
>>
>>53910317
A trident is more unwieldy than a spear. You can jam a spearpoint into a chink in the other guys armor - you can't do that with a trident because the other prongs will get in the way. There's a reason spears are 1000x more common than tridents in medieval and ancient armies. Just grab a different finesse weapon and stop being such a snowflake.
>>
>>53910494
it's in SCAG
>>
>>53910518
Well that explains that. Thank you very much for the help.
>>
>reading AL guide to Volo's
> All Goliath PCs must be the last of their tribe.
> All Tabaxi PCs must be excited to be in Faerun
> All Kenku PCs must have had the same nonsensical conversation, verbatim

Why is AL so fucked?
>>
>>53910494
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Monk,Way%20of%20the%20Sun%20Soul
>>
>>53909783
Because improved divine smite works against -5 to hit and also improved divine smite works better when you have more attacks (i.e. PAM)

>>53910107
What is the point of the longsword?
>>
>>53910509
Since when has D&D been concerned with historical accuracy? A trident should be treated as a refluffled spear, instead of wasting space on a statblock that is exactly the same as a spear's, but martial instead of simple, 4 gp more expensive and one pound heavier
>>
File: sa1501.jpg (62KB, 1300x620px) Image search: [Google]
sa1501.jpg
62KB, 1300x620px
>>53910583
>What is the point of the longsword?
>>
>>53910583
Longsword, Axe, and Warhammer are all somewhat unique in that they deal different damage types*

*OR AT LEAST THEY SHOULD, Longsword should be Piercing.
>>
>>53910583
>What is the point of the longsword?

If you mean why have longsword while battleaxe exists, it's because there are slight tradeoffs. Longsword is more expensive but slightly lighter, if you care about carry weights, and has a different feat that can be used with it.

Trident is more expensive than a spear and heavier, is martial while a spear is simple, and doesn't have a weapon feat, while spear does. There's no tradeoff at all; in every way they're different the trident is worse.
>>
>>53910585
It's not historical accuracy, it's common sense that a spear is a much better weapon.
>>
File: 1d82d61d103d4.jpg (20KB, 574x557px) Image search: [Google]
1d82d61d103d4.jpg
20KB, 574x557px
>>53910149
I feel old when no one else gets this joke
>>
>>53910647
>Longsword should be Piercing.
That's wrong
>>
>>53910670
So? We also have shit like crossbow expert which makes hand crossbows the best ranged weapon in the game by leaps and bounds, and their users into unstoppable human turrets
>>
>>53910739
Well really it should be able to do either, but the point is there should be a weapon that does each since it actually differentiates them a little bit more than having them be identical weapons.
>>
>>53910652
It's more that rapier is better than longsword in every way.
Versatile is almost always completely irrelevant.

The only time you'd ever use a longsword over a rapier is for 'flavour' or because your DM has allowed something odd like UA feats or a way to use the versatile property with one hand OR you are desperately, desperately pressed for inventory space somehow and thus can't carry the weapons you need (A maul/greatsword for two handed fighting and a rapier for one-handed fighting).
If your rogue ever forgets/loses a melee weapon you can always give them your rapier. But they'd suck with a longsword, even though they have longsword proficiency.

So I guess with non-PHB content there is at least slight meaning to longswords. But not at time of release.
>>
>>53910573
What's it say about Lizardfolk?
>>
>>53910896
It says they are DUMB and STUPID and GET OUT GO BACK TO THE SWAMP REEEEEE
>>
>>53910851
>So I guess with non-PHB content there is at least slight meaning to longswords. But not at time of release.

still better than trident. also longswords and rapiers have a different damage type
>>
>>53910952
Slashing instead of piercing is just about as irrelevant as versatile unless your DM homebrews it to actually be relevant sometimes.
>>
>>53910896
You lived on this specific swamp that got fucked up by a Lizardfolk queen, so you left.
>>
>>53910980

it's relevant any time you fight a treant, and that's just what I know from fights I've had in game, could be more.
>>
>>53910993
Hmm. Yeah I can work with that. Thanks.
>>
>>53910652
>Trident is more expensive than a spear and heavier, is martial while a spear is simple, and doesn't have a weapon feat, while spear does. There's no tradeoff at all; in every way they're different the trident is worse.

It does mean that the legendary weapon Wave (a trident) is Martial and not Simple like a spear.
>>
>>53911033
"The walled town of Daggerford takes its name from a legendary incident: a human boy fought off attacking lizardfolk at the ford with just a dagger. But the swampy forest from which the lizardfolk came had been known as Lizard Marsh for centuries before that. Its tangled trees and brackish waters have sheltered lizardfolk for so long no one among them has a story for how they might have come from anywhere else. It is the nest from which all the tribes were hatched. It is the home where all of them expect they’ll die. Lately though, there’s been too much death. Vethka, a Lizard Queen empowered by dark magic, made war among the tribes and drew in outsiders who killed still more. When it’s a choice between leaving the only life they’ve known or death, there is no choice. Lizardfolk left in droves. Some set out to find a new home where they might bring more of the tribe. Others wanted the power or the allies they needed to return home and take Vethka’s place. But thrust into a strange new world with the fleshy beings and their alien ways, most just struggle to adjust and survive."
>>
>>53911099
And for contrast, the Kenku one:

“Well met.” (sound of children laughing) “I always like to know everything about my new friends, and nothing about my old ones.” (sound of wine glasses clinking) “I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” (sound of an old man chuckling) “Giddyup!” (sound of a bullwhip cracking and wagon wheels rolling) “Life is a journey, not a destination.” (sound of a happy baby gurgle) “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” (sound of a stair creaking underfoot) “Not all those who wander are lost.” "We'll be friends forever won't we?" (sound of buzzing)
>>
>>53911153
thefuck?
>>
>>53911188
Don't you understand your fucking character's backstory now!? YOU TALKED AT SOMEONE ONCE.

Wasn't this necessary to force to be in your character's backstory?
>>
File: 1316265176088.jpg (31KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1316265176088.jpg
31KB, 601x508px
Ah FUCK I don't want to DM please don't make me PLEASE!
>>
>>53911222

so if two people play Kenku in the same game they both had that same conversation?
>>
File: IMG_20170525_181629013.jpg (1004KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170525_181629013.jpg
1004KB, 1440x2560px
Gonna see if I can convince my flgs to drop adventure league, it's so damn restrictive.
>>
>>53911494
Yep. If you have two goliaths they're the last of their tribe.

Unless you use the (identical) goliath rules from Elemental Evil Player's Companion. In which case you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>53911644
>party of four goliaths
>each is the last of their tribe
Man goliaths have it rough.
>>
A friend of mine wants to make a Treefolk (custom race) character. The custom race we found has
>Tough Skin: when unarmored AC = 10 + DEX + CON

He's also a monk, so would we add WIS to that AC as well? He has +3 to DEX, +2 to CON and WIS. Should it be 17?
>>
>>53911705
It's hard out there for a goliath.
>>
>>53911749
no, you choose which formula to use, you do not get to add formulas together.
>>
>>53911768
Makes sense. I didn't know the ruling but having 17 AC at level 2 seemed a bit strong for a monk. Thanks.
>>
>>53911765
the price to pay for massive gains is a harsh one.
>>
>>53911749
No unless it specifically says "Add AC" you take the highest formula.
Also stop using homebrew you haven't made yourself. It's not that hard making a simple race.
>>
>>53911791
Why? It seemed fine. I would have made one but he came to me with the custom race and it's not OP or some nonsense.
>>
>>53911818
Post all of it and I will judge if it is OP or not.
>>
>>53911838
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Treefolk_(5e_Race)
>>
File: 1496222008411.jpg (67KB, 849x669px) Image search: [Google]
1496222008411.jpg
67KB, 849x669px
>>53911749
Stop using homebrew when you don't understand the system / stop using dand wiki.
>>
>>53911848
>dandwiki
Stop. Start brewing your own shit.
>>
File: 1496329974765.jpg (166KB, 565x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496329974765.jpg
166KB, 565x720px
>>53911848
>It actually was dand wiki
Please for the love of god
Right now
Find out how to block certain websites on your router or internet device
And block dand wiki
You'll thank us later down the line.

dandwiki is concentrated cancer manifested into a hideous tumour.
I'm getting cancer just speaking of it.
>>
>>53911878
>>53911861
>>53911883

Chill out nerds, I'm playing with people who've never played before. One of them came to me with that race already in mind and I didn't see the harm since they desperately wanted to be a Tree Monk.

Why's it considered cancer anyway?
>>
>>53911916
It's the fanfiction.net of homebrew.
>>
File: 1493327532712.jpg (11KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
1493327532712.jpg
11KB, 257x196px
>>53911916
>Chill out nerds, I'm playing with people who've never played before.
Oh I see, some retard who doesn't even own a PHB wants to play a dandwiki custom race. Really interesting.
>>
>>53911916
You ever seen a blind deaf mute try and draw?
>>
>>53911943
>>53911946
I'm still not really seeing the problem. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this custom race.
>>
>>53911916
>>53911883
I just read through the article anyway and actually it's not 'too' bad.
I'd replace the tough skin feature with 'you add your constitution instead of your dex to AC values that use your dex'

Speaking of which, why does it move at 30ft and why is it a large race when there's no large races for 5e, even the goliath?

I'd have honestly made it a +2 con +2 wis race as well just because it's kinda going up that end.

But in any case, for the love of god, dand wiki is pure cancer, please avoid it whenever you can and tell him never to go near it again.
>>
>>53911970
The race isn't the issue, it's you and your friends, coming into this thread, you don't know the very basic rules of this game and you want to eat the second hand homebrew shit of some autist on the internet.
Your friend should go play a hill dwarf, it will have the same exact effect.
>>
>>53911970
>Try to attack tree
>It gets extra AC from dexterity and dodges your attack
???
>Large PC race when it's actually shorter than a goliath probably which is a medium race
???
>You get the following features: A slightly nerfed barbarian's unarmoured defence, a cantrip and a skill and a language and talking with plants. ... And, uhh, you can drink sunlight? That's about it? Not even resistance to a damage type?
???
>30ft speed on a treeman
???
>You're a fucking tree
>How do you even carry things
>How are you supposed to fit in doors and into houses
>How are you supposed to ride a big horse
>How are you supposed to function
>>
>>53912067
Oh no wait I'm not done yet

>You weigh 140 pounds
>as a big fucking tree
>It weighs less than an average person
>>
>>53912113
>>53912067
Look friend, I'm trying to get some new players to try out roleplaying games. If one guy being a fucking tree is what it takes I'll make it work.
>>
>>53912160

You have to understand something: "Making it work" and "using dandwiki" are mutually exclusive things.
>>
>>53906941
Let your players have their win. Don't start buffing the world just because someone got a crit.
>>
>>53912160
Then do
>>53912012
This to fix it and be done with it and pretend you made the race yourself so you never have to think of that godawful place.
>>
>>53912212
Oh and also make it 25ft movement too.
>>
>>53912113
That's actually 140x1d8.

So you weight anywhere between 140 pounds and a half ton.
>>
>>53912258
Just like the average american.
>>
File: 1288124538726.png (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1288124538726.png
17KB, 200x200px
I'm a DM and I'm not very good at small talk.
I realized that when my players talk to NPCs, the signal to noise ratio is extremely high. Like, the NPCs don't small talk at all, they're totally straight shooters and the players get a lot of info from them quickly (and sometimes effortlessly).

To combat this, I have added a lot of "red herring" information to my NPC notes, so the NPCs hand out irrelevant, wrong or misleading information (that they believe is true) about as often as they hand out useful info.

But this may not be the solution, because I realized the standard small talk serves another purpose: players blurt out info about their past (sometimes made up on the spot) and that makes the players talk to each other and RP more.

How can I make this happen?
>>
>>53912212
Ideas for how to fix this rotten homebrew:
Size to Medium (you're playing a young treant)
Base speed to 25 (you're a fucking tree)
Make "Tough Skin" 13 + Dex + Con but you can't wear armor, unless it's been custom made for you, which costs three times more than the listed price in the PHB
Add "Slam" ability: you can smash with your fists. Unarmed attacks do 1d6 at level one, 2d6 at level 7, 3d6 at level 12, and 4d6 at level 18.
>>
>>53907027
Level 1 characters are hopelessly squishy and that's saying a lot because players are glass cannons at all levels.
>>
File: 1447362677856.png (32KB, 595x273px) Image search: [Google]
1447362677856.png
32KB, 595x273px
>>53912419
>>
>>53912419
>>53912553
Also -2 Dex
>>
>>53912258
Actually it's 2d6 * 1d8

So anywhere between 142lbs and 236 lbs.
>>
Is it better to have "Every race gets a feat and variant human doesn't exist" or to just ban variant human?
>>
>>53911768
so a lizardfolk barbarian would not get 13+dex+con?
>>
File: 1484671385194.png (2KB, 148x149px) Image search: [Google]
1484671385194.png
2KB, 148x149px
>>53912591
>>53912419
>Also -2 Dex
Christ almight why is /5eg/ so bad at making homebrew races?
>>
>>53912645
neither, just use variant human you sperg

it isnt even the strongest phb race statistically
>>
>>53912605
No. the height is 7' + 2d6". The weight is 140x1d8
>>
>>53912671
What would you have done?
>>
>>53912674
Feels obligatory if you're running a low level campaign and want to do something more interesting as a martial than stand in one spot and roll attacks while still being useful.
>>
>>53911861
>>53911883
Dumb anime poster should go back on pgg

You are concentrated cancer manifested in a hideous tumour
>>
File: bane.jpg (29KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
29KB, 425x640px
What happens if a Wizard gets there spellbook taken away?
Do they die?
>>53912645
Every race gets a feat.
>>
>>53912725
IS AI chan an anime?
>>
>>53912671
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware we should let people run around with high-dex trees as characters.
>>
>>53912697
1. Pick a race in the PHB that has the ASIs you want (why make a race that doesn't go with the class you're going), Hill Dwarf
2. Replace and remove racial features. Take inspiration from other races that already exist, IN THE PHB. So we remove Dwarven Resilience and Dwarven Combat Training. Now Dwarven Toughness, that seems like it would fit so let's keep it and rechristen it Treant Toughness :^)
3. Hmmm, this is a special snowflake race so you definitaly want some innate spellcasting. Let's visit our friend the Tiefling.
Congrats you now know the Druidcraft cantrip.
4. Your fists are very club-like. You have d4 unarmed strikes.

+2 Con
+1 Wis
Treant Toughness. Your hit point maximum is increased by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
You know the Druidcraft cantrip.
Common and Sylvan, you cannot speak to plants because plants don't speak.
Guess you don't eat and sleep since you're a tree but you have to root yourself to the ground for 6 hours every day lol :)
>>
>>53912910
So you've made a tree that requires either buying and wearing armor or loading into Dex in order to make it not immediately die in combat.

Cool, good work bruv ya really knocked that shit out of the park.
>>
>>53904343
All Slaad are prime examples of limbo otherwise known as they are from Australia and sounded as such.
>>
>>53912732
They just can't memorize new spells, or cast rituals.
>>
>>53912678
Then you don't understand the PHB's weight calculations.
Page 121.
>>
>>53912645
Give everybody a free part of a weapon feat to use instead / give all weapons an innate property that's part of a feat.
Suddenly, variant human is nowhere near as necessary yet humans are still the dominant race.
>>
>>53913035

I'd say being a tree just isn't something that can work. If you're not vulnerable to fire and resistant to bludgeoning, you're not going to feel like a tree. But fire vulnerability is pretty much a death sentence for PCs, you'll get annihilated as soon as enemies start tossing fireballs around.

Also if you have to buy and wear armor, you're not going to feel like a tree, but if you just get something like 13 natural armor, you'll still need dex which still doesn't feel treeish, and anything better than that is running into OP territory.
>>
>>53913161
Oh wow fair enough. To be honest I have never bothered with that. That's good to know.

It only makes that Weight category even more retarded.
>>
Tell me how to run a Wizard, /tg/.
>>
>>53913035
Oh you want to be a tree? You can't move, talk, think and you've got a 6 times weakness to slashing and fire damage.
And you can't be an adventurer. No class either, or background.
>>
>>53913227
What type of wizard?
>>
>>53913227
>stand back
>blast things
wow
>>
>>53913254
This is petty and you know that it's petty.
>>
>>53912647
it would not. You either get lizardfolk armor, barbarian armor, or normal armor.
>>
File: 1497919376183.gif (2MB, 414x231px) Image search: [Google]
1497919376183.gif
2MB, 414x231px
>>53913268
>wizard
>blasting
>>
>>53913263
A battlefield control wizard.

>>53913268
But anon, that's a Sorcerer.

Also, anybody here ever find their phone banned for child porn? This has happened to me before but usually just for shitposting. Now I'm using the computer at work.
>>
>>53913035
It's a tree you fucking faggot not an Abrams tank.
Take 13+con mod and an extra damage die from fire if it really bothers you that much.
If warforged, a literal construct forged for war has to wear armor then so does the tree.
>>
>>53913368
Yeah. People post CP using mobile networks since the likelihood of getting caught is pretty low, and even if that one tower gets banned there are loads more to use based on proximity.
If you really want some fun look up the sex offender registry in the area where you get the banned message in.
>>
>>53913227
Make sure to get lots of rituals for your unprepared spell slots. Especially find familiar.
Take fireball. Take polymorph. Take shield.

Remember that you can't have two concentration spells at once, but there are some that don't use concentration.

Stay at the back lines and don't make yourself too much of a target.

Mage armour isn't a bad spell to get either.

Rope trick, misty step, hold person and suggestion are recommendable level 2 spells.
>>
>>53913384

Warforged is fucking bullshit too

>not immune to poison
>not immune to lycanthropy

If actually making a player into a construct is too unbalanced, then just don't include the race.This half-assed shit is insulting.
>>
The DM just gave my wizard a ring that gives my familiar +1 AC, 1 hit die extra health and lets it concentrate on spells for me. How broken is this?
>>
>>53913640
>warforged gets lycanthropy
>becomes a metal werewolf
>>
>>53913671
>The DM just gave my wizard a ring that gives my familiar +1 AC
Cool

>1 hit die extra health
Neat

>and lets it concentrate on spells for me.
HAVE THEY LOST THEIR GODDAMN MIND?
>>
>>53911943
>>53912016
My god, what the fuck is stuck in you bleeding asshole, dickhead? Calm the fuck down or get out this thread doesn't want your attitude around.
>>
>>53913714
The other DM (we slowly rotate) gave me a 50 charge +2 staff with a bunch of water-based spells on it.
I really don't think they understand how this game works.
>>
>>53913671
As long as the familiar still follows the 'touch spells only' rule..
Fly/bestow curse/enhance ability/gaseous form/heroism/magic weapon/protection from energy /spiderclimb/stoneskin
can all be concentrated on for you.
Which is potentially pretty strong.
>>
>>53913757
>(we slowly rotate)
Ah, well there's your problem. Having rotating DMs for a campaign is like a 50/50 shot at turning it into a loot pinata because everyone wants to give (and get) cool shit. If everyone's having fun, it's fine, but it does tend to throw the rulebook out the fucking window.
>>
File: 463.jpg (54KB, 419x750px) Image search: [Google]
463.jpg
54KB, 419x750px
>>53913800
Nope, it's literally I cast a spell and if I choose, it concentrates for me.
I can have double haste, polymorph, enlarge etc.

It doesn't help that for some reason we've decided it's two actions, one of which can be used for movement and no-one is aware of the one levelled spell per turn rule.

>mfw hold person into disintegrate
>>
>>53913884
>the one levelled spell per turn rule.
No such thing
There's only a rule that disallows you from casting a spell as an action if you've cast a spell as a bonus action and same the other way around.

But, gosh, this sounds stupid.
>>
So /tg/ I have a character challenge:

>Level 7
>Standard array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
>Divination Wizard ?, Nature Cleric ?
>High Elf
>Every Book and UA is fair game
>CoS campaign

How do I best build this character?
>>
A small farming town (~300 people) was sacked and destroyed about a decade ago. Last year a dozen people settled into the ruins, hoping to rebuild the place (because the ground is fertile, and a lot of trade caravans take that road).

What kind of buildings do they rebuild first and foremost? What do they absolutely need?
>Farms
>Mills
>Blacksmith
>?
>>
>>53913921
Levelled spell, that is.

>>53913942
cleric1/wizardX is the best cleric-wizard multiclass and it's broken because of the stupidity of going from 'no armour' to 'heavy armour + shields with no problem other than needing strengh to not be 10ft slower'
>>
So I'm making a boss fight for my players. I know what they're fighting, but need some help with ideas. They are 6 players, level 7. Tome Warlock, UA beast master, Battlemaster, Life Cleric, Swashbuckler and Totem Barb.

They have found huge hammer marks in a wall, and weapons and armor sawn in half. I am planning on making it a huge construct, with a hammer and circular saw for hands.

Anyone have any ideas for abilities? I am thinking some kind of fire/steam breath, and when it dies, it releases an elder fire elemental. The room is also going to be a lava room, much like the Anvil of the Void in dragon age origins if anyone has played that. Any ideas for fun effects I can throw in the room too?
>>
>>53913457
Well shit. Hopefully it'll let me appeal the ban, otherwise some asswipe just got me banned permanently.

>>53913505

Are familiars really that good for battlefield control? Also, isn't there no point to Shield since I'm going to be out of melee anyway?
>>
New thread folks:
>>53914060
>>53914060
>>53914060
>>
>>53913942
Cleric, Wiz X, Int is your man stat, Wis is at 13 so it fulfill minimum multiclassing pre requisites.

Your Con is 14, Cha 12, Str 10 and Dex 8, may need to shift those bottom stats around a little to allow for movement in heavy armor
>>
>>53913972
Go play Banished, you'll know to start with a Boarding house and a farm field.
>>
>>53913993
I misread that as hammerhead marks and thought you had some crazy land based shark after them. But on to abilities I'd say if they somehow try to use lava to their advantage have it superheat the construct. Hell, maybe have it scoop up some lava, condense it into a smoldering rock, and chuck it at them.
>>
>>53913972
Carpentry probably.
>>
>>53913921
There's a rule along the lines of 'if you cast a spell as a bonus action, the only spell you can cast with your action is a cantrip or vice versa'
The wording on that is awful but I'm pretty sure it's a thing. Mainly to stop Quicken Spell abuse.

>>53914003
Familiars can assist allies in combat, they can also scout with their telepathy, search for things etc.
Enemies have ranged attacks, some can jump the front lines or may ambush you, take shield.
>>
>>53913993
Make the steam breath very dangerous but it has a warm up time so the players can seek cover behind various rocky outcroppings in the area.
Give it some smaller constructs that are more of a nuisance than anything but they give advantage to the construct.
Maybe it can strike the ceiling of the cave and cause rocks to fall on the players, a dex save means they take no damage, the rocks falling can also create new cover.
>>
>>53914084
Oh yeah, im definitely having fire heal it.
I quite like the fiery boulder idea too.

>>53914113
That's interesting, I especially like the little bots. Maybe some repair bot type thing that can heal it?
>>
So 5eg, how do I become the best Scorpion? Level in sea sorc and either the rest in a wisdom class for Vine Whip, hexblade for pulling EB or EK with the inferior range Lightning Lure?
>>
>>53914235
If UA is allowed, take Grasp of Hadar(the un nerfed one). Every time you hit with eldritch blast, you can pull it 10ft. Go eldritch knight 8 for War Magic. Use a whip. Fighter 1 -> Warlock 2 -> Fighter 7(8 in total) -> Sea Sorc 1 -> Warlock 2(4 in total) -> Swashbuckler.
>>
>>53914235
>>53914066
>>
>>53913942
12 Str
14 Dex +2
15 Int +1
13 Wis
8 Cha

I suggest going SCOUT ROGUE 5/Divination Wizard 2

You'll rely on rituals for magic anyway so prioritizing a class that can hold its own in melee is important.

Scout rogue nets you all the benefits of regular rogue but you get free extra disengage movement as a reaction and Nature+Survival skills with free Expertise.
Pick up the Sage background to nab Arcana and History proficiency so now you are decked out with all the info you need for roleplaying.
>>
>>53913972
An inn, a mill, a home for a carpenter and a smithy.
>>
Why is Command an Oath of Conquest spell if Paladins get it regardless of oathes?
Thread posts: 372
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.