[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 413
Thread images: 59

File: 1462925018362.jpg (678KB, 1226x1650px)
1462925018362.jpg
678KB, 1226x1650px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>53904319
>>
Reposting from last thread.
>So I'm making a boss fight for my players. I know what they're fighting, but need some help with ideas. They are 6 players, level 7. Tome Warlock, UA beast master, Battlemaster, Life Cleric, Swashbuckler and Totem Barb.

>They have found huge hammer marks in a wall, and weapons and armor sawn in half. I am planning on making it a huge construct, with a hammer and circular saw for hands.

>Anyone have any ideas for abilities? I am thinking some kind of fire/steam breath, and when it dies, it releases an elder fire elemental. The room is also going to be a lava room, much like the Anvil of the Void in dragon age origins if anyone has played that. Any ideas for fun effects I can throw in the room too?
>>
File: Blade_Wolf.png (297KB, 649x442px) Image search: [Google]
Blade_Wolf.png
297KB, 649x442px
Warforged werewolves
>>
>>53914097
>>53914159
The little bots can be for anything, but players will rip and tear through a single entity in just a couple of rounds.
>>
>>53914111
Yeah, but you can still cast a spell with two actions if you had, say, action surge.

You can cast an action spell, and after that you can't cast a bonus action spell but can cast an action spell.
>>
>>53914186
Yeah, I'm fully aware of how crappy single monster bosses are in DND. I'm using a home brew mix of AngryGM's paragon monsters and legendary actions/lair actions to get it to break the action economy back in its favour. That said, adding little flying distractions sounds like it could be good...
>>
File: 6416511613131.png (50KB, 346x343px) Image search: [Google]
6416511613131.png
50KB, 346x343px
>Oath of Conquest is evil
There are people who actually believe this.
>>
>>53914097
>Hammer
Replicate the Earth Tremor spell at maybe level 2 or 3

>Saw
Sword Burst but slashing instead of force damage, as the torso rotates 360 around the legs

>Combo attack
Have the construct hold the saw blade to the hammer face, spraying a huge shower of sparks. Aganazzar’s Scorcher might be a good mechanic to steal here

>Defense
Have the golem flip the saw blade sideways, turning it into a shield temporarily
>>
>>53914279
This is really cool stuff, stealing. I like the spinning saw as a shield.
>>
Anyone got any cool Psionic Mastery combos for the Mystic?
>>
Why would an evil dragon leave its lair (and treasure) to meet a Cult of the Dragon congregation fifty miles away?

The dragon isn't very old, his hoard isn't that big, he's got half a dozen cultists willing to guard it, the cultists came with gifts so he trusts them, the meeting will last until midnight, the lair has a bunch of monsters in it, and the congregation will be coming to his lair later to help him uncover buried treasure.

Why would he leave his hoard nearly unattended for a whole afternoon, instead of asking the cultists to meet him at his lair?

(This is because the players need an opportunity to loot the dragon's lair before he comes back and TPKs them. They'll be informed of the dragon's departure by someone who was spying on him.)
>>
>>53914411
Make the room in such a way that he can mess
with terrain with the hammer or saw... Smash the roof and have rocks fall blocking in/out a guy or something neat.
>>
File: DarkCleric.jpg (107KB, 469x800px) Image search: [Google]
DarkCleric.jpg
107KB, 469x800px
>>53914060
Lay it on me /5eg/, what's the most minmaxed bardlock build?

UAs included
>>
File: 4fcf46bbbdbe6a20a10ed1c09351000.jpg (316KB, 850x1189px) Image search: [Google]
4fcf46bbbdbe6a20a10ed1c09351000.jpg
316KB, 850x1189px
So I'm homebrewing a death knight class that I've cobbled together from various other homebrews that I've found. Anyone wanna take a look at it and tell me if something is over/under tuned or if they have any suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xarF3eadQ-FP3lbiCaFrcZwTW3FDxx6yWtjCFswXxpI/edit#
>>
>>53914097
If it has different body sections it can act on different initiatives.

I.e. it might have a cannon that fires on initiative 20 whereas it itself moves on initiative 10.
Because, you know, it's a bot and so each part can work autonomously.

Something that disables part of the bot therefore won't disable the entire bot.
>>
>>53914658
This, so it makes it an actual boss fight
>>
>>53914640
Bladelock3/BardX using the 2d8 per spell slot smites.
Smite everything.
That's literally it. All other ideas are shit.
>>
>>53914640
Depending on what ratio you want, Lore Bard 18, Warlock 2 is probably the best build. 18 in bard gets you Wish, 2 in lock gets you Agonising Blast. Not really that many shenanigans you can do with UA, this is just a really solid build that can do a lot.
>>
>>53914469
Special part of a ritual that requires a specific rock or part of the geography
>>
Champion VS Battlemaster in DPR, is Battlemaster actually better than Champion even in DPR?
>>
Curse of Strahd just dropped on roll20 with custom top-down maps instead of the isometric ones that come with the book. Anyone have them? They're not listed in the trove.
>>
>>53914672
Take Valor Bard for extra attack, and grab swift quiver as your magical secret and do this with the MoonBow.
>>
>>53914693
Battle master is better in DPR except on very long days with not many short rests.
>>
>>53914640

As with all Warlock dips, optimization peaks at 2-3 levels.
2 is optimal if the campaign goes to 20, since you need 18 for Wish

The best combo is the combo that gives you the most fun. If you drive fun out of a coherent character concept, then Glamour Bard / Warlock of the Archfey seems the most intuitive.

However, Goolock gives you dissonant Whispers, which frees up a precious Spells Known spell slot to chase with the bard, and Undying is invaluable if running something like Curse of Strahd
>>
Any of you guys know a lot of Faerun? I'm playing a Half-Orc who is from Vaasa, could you guys tell me typical sayings, gestures and expressions from that region?
>>
>>53914701
good lord, do they have a map for ravenloft? I need it
>>
File: Lapuard.png (145KB, 1742x488px) Image search: [Google]
Lapuard.png
145KB, 1742x488px
Are redemption paladins annoying to play with, are they annoying to DM for?
How do I play one without being that guy?
I was considering running a Dwarf redemption paladin as a champion of Lapuard, he believes that all the world's problems can be solved over a mug of ale. The mug is also his weapon of choice.
>>
>>53914768

Yes, its listed as "Original Castle Ravenloft maps in top-down format, exclusive to the Roll20 version for easier use with the virtual tabletop." on the purchase page for the module on roll20.
>>
>>53914837
Did someone suffer an aneurysm writing that?
>>
I've read a lot about how action economy tilts battles in the favor of the party when they're fighting a single large enemy of equal CR. With that in mind, what are good ways to mitigate this effect and make climatic fights with major antagonists challenging besides adding a bunch of boss minions?
>>
>>53915022
charged attacks that force players to seek cover
Multi-attacks, legendary and lair actions
Multiple boss phases occurring at different levels of damage. resistance to damage.
>>
Is there a way to import the information from the 5etools into Fantasy Grounds, like you can import it into roll20?
>>
File: 062316_Podcast_Thumb.jpg (297KB, 869x490px) Image search: [Google]
062316_Podcast_Thumb.jpg
297KB, 869x490px
So I would like some help on editing an encounter from the TftYP White Plume Mountain adventure. Minor spoilers ahead.

So there is one room in the dungeon and the intended encounter I'd eight knights and one champion. To me, that sounds like a boring encounter, so I'm working on adding in some extra flavor, like a bard and a conjurer from Volo' s guide and a priest from the MM, and in exchange removing 4 of the knights.

However, the party has unwittingly allowed an oni to join the party who plans to betray them in their next major encounter, which would be this one. Should I change it back to the original encounter or should I keep it as i have changed it and hope for the best? The party is a moon druid lv 6, a valor bard lv 7 with hypnotic pattern and greater invisibility, a Arcane trickster rogue of lv 7, an assassin rogue lv 4 / hunter ranger lv 6 with alert and a wand of lightning, and a paladin of devotion lv 6.
>>
Any advice on playing as a character that was originally part of another player's background? It sounds fun but I worry that it could be a trap.
>>
Fantasy Grounds or Roll20?
>>
>>53915022
Multi attack, legendary actions, legendary resistance, resistance to magic, resistance to varying damage, lair actions, high hp pool, McGuffin that has to be destroyed before the boss can be killed, ect of the like.
>>
>>53915112
Your character is actually a changeling working for the BBEG (ugh) who disguises himself as a friend in order to spy on the PC's but you begin to have second thoughts about betraying them.
>>
File: FG vs Roll20.png (188KB, 999x974px) Image search: [Google]
FG vs Roll20.png
188KB, 999x974px
>>53915113
Fantasy Grounds is better but more expensive, if you DM it worth every penny and the next version in Unity will be even better.
>>
>>53915179
>FG has no dynamic LoS or lighting

Pretty big bummer. Will that be available in the Unity version?

Wish one of these systsems had something like pic related.
>>
>>53915344
Yes its a key feature to the unity version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FjwaYqdAbM
>>
>Passioned. Give it my all. Not settling for mediocrity.

>Get called an autist and an asshole.

>I see everyone complain about lack of OC, lack of effort, lack of quality, whine whine whine

>And I'm here

>While they waste their time memeing
>No passion, just memes and shitpost, drama, whine whine whine

Mh.
>>
>>53915376
>in development since 2014
>still no ETA

lol
>>
>>53915474
I think they're pretty close to release it, but even without the unity version it's still better than anything else in the market.
>>
>>53915437
Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
>>
>>53915437
t. dungeonworld
>>
>>53915437
>I made a half-assed attempt at a treant and got ludicrously buttblasted when people said it was bad
>>
>>53914257
>There are people who actually believe this.
They must be memeing, no one could possibly think that
>>
>>53915574
You have

No idea who I am
Or what I'm talking about

That much is obvious
>>
>>53914185
>not calling them warwolves
>>
>>53915610
Shatner get off /tg/
>>
>>53915515
>>53915525
t. dumb memers
>>
You know what? Fuck it. I'm bored and drunk. Tell me about your characters, /5eg/--past, present, and future. I'll tell you what I think of them based on your description. Chances are I'll probably have some wholesome shit to say, or suggest shit for further RP potential.
>>
>>53915437
Le reddit is le that way.
>>
>>53915644
The whole world of /5e/ general doesn't revolve about your fucking treant discussion
>>
File: lmao.jpg (10KB, 373x81px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
10KB, 373x81px
>>53915495
lmao
>>
>>53915654
Some rushed description about people I care about on some shitty website full of trash for a drunkard to misunderstand and opiniate about is not what I'm gonna do.
>>
>>53915742
Still better.
>>
>>53915755
Then why did you respond you attention starved faggot?
>>53915654
Dwarf fighter trying to get revenge on the Dwarf that left him for dead.
Dwarf fighter looking for a cure to save his sick brother.
Human paladin trying to prove herself to her order.
Current: Human rogue inquisitive trying to find the man who murdered a nobleman's daughter for a dark ritual.
>>
>>53915770
Until it has every feature of roll20 and more that is just an opinion.
>>
>>53915654
A ten year old amnesiac oder of the avatar mystic aasimar. My dm's made my backstory which I do not know in character or Ooc.
>>
>>53915654
An Elven Monster Hunter. He was part of a group of Wood Elves who traveled through their forest dealing with the more dangerous creatures that threatened their society, Undead, Fiends, Lycanthropes and etc. His mentor who was a fair bit older then him ended up falling in love with him, so they were a bunch of happy faggot Monster Hunters.

One day a noble came to the woods asking for them, his Daughter had become a Vampire in his summer home. My guys mentor thought it was too dangerous to drag my guy along and so he went with a few other powerful Wood Elves to go fight her.

Long story but basically his mentor ends up becoming a Vampire and my guy is now trying to find out where he went and how to cure it.
>>
>>53915818
Maybe because it makes you mad, and making you mad makes my day.

By the way, can you only describe your PCs by their race, class and quest? Sounds like trash.
>>
>>53915875
>Maybe because it makes you mad, and making you mad makes my day.
That's pretty edgy kid. This is an 18+ website.
>>
>>53915875
>making you mad makes my day
nice, that's epic bro
>>
>>53915818
Shit dude. Those all sound pretty fun. What happened to your dwarf fighters and the paladin? Also, what is your human rogue's motivation for finding this dude? (Money, curiosity, obligation to an order?)
>>53915841
Amnesiacs with DM controlling the backstory can be fun if you trust your DM. I had one character like that and it turned out well because the DM was godtier and knew me pretty well. I hope your game turns out well, anon.
>>53915850
Fuck dude, that sounds like right up my alley. 10/10 would travel with.
>>
>>53914701

Any word on this?
>>
Is there documentation for players on crafting magical items, wands, potions etc.?
>>
>>53915903
>>53915904
More replies
>>
>>53915654
>past character
Goliath battlemaster fighter named Marthal. He lived high in the icy mountaintops with his nomadic family and tribe for a time as a watcher for the tribe, but grew tired of the snow and set forth to carve himself a path in life as a famous warrior. From here he became gladitorial fighter for a time and honed his skills as a warrior, until joining an adventuring party and setting forth to slay the demons who were infesting the underdark. After slaying the Demon Lords, he was granted the fame he sought and retired to a new life of defending a small town that he acquired control of through his adventuring career that sits at the base of the mountain he once called home.
>>
>>53915654
Noble sorcerer that didn't have to work or study to get to where he is and got depressed by being a NEET. Became an adventurer because of this to prove hir worth (or die as life is boring)
>>
>>53916001
Right now I'm just picturing your guy innatown surrounded by much smaller people and he just nods at them as he passes, weapon slung on his shoulder. I hope he has a cozy house for his retirement and has picked up some kind of hobby. Like carving miniature horses or some shit.
>>
>>53915654
transmutation wizard in her late fifties who used magic to give herself a loli body and acts in a very cutesy way
casts primarily support spells like Haste, Blindness, Enlarge, and Protection from Good and Evil
>>
>>53915940
First dwarf fighter got retired, second got torn to shreds by troglodytes. The campaign the paladin was in fell apart.
The rogue is searching for the killer because if he's able to bring the killer to justice his friend, who the nobleman has in prison, will be set free. I don't know what the ritual was for yet.
>>
>>53914792
Anyone?
>>
File: 1481439080959_0.jpg (280KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1481439080959_0.jpg
280KB, 1280x960px
What about the revised ranger from UA makes it so much better?
>>
>>53914469
The Dragon is young and reckless so he wants the esteem of his own cult.
>>
>>53916126
To summarize, you're good at fighting your favored enemies, and you don't instantly turn into not-a-ranger when stepping out of your forest.
Also animal companion actually does ssomething.
>>
>>53916126
Improved favored enemy, improved natural explorer. It's all around better.
>>
>>53916052
Poor NEETbro will have to learn soon that there are things in this world that are truly good, radical, and wonderful. All storms must pass and in the horizon there will be rays of sunlight. Or get his shit wrecked by grimdark stuff, who knows.
>>53916069
Does anyone know her true age? Are people creeped out by this or otherwise like "wtf are you doing you old woman?" Also, does she act like... An actual kid, meaning they have tantrums and shit, or are they just cute all the time? (Anyone who is around kids a lot will wonder what's up with your wizard if she's hiding her true age.)
>>53916089
Sorry to hear the paladin's campaign fell apart. Does your rogue trust that the deal will go through as planned if they bring the killer in? (If you're in a shitty town they could just kill their friend, after all.)
>>
>>53916191
The rogue's friend wasn't wrongly imprisoned. The nobleman is just a bereaved father trying to find who killed his daughter. I think he'll be let go.
>>
>>53915654
>>53916001
>future character
Stout halfling hunter ranger. He is a defender of the forests near his home town. His family has fought off monstrosities and aberrations for roughly a millennia, but prefer to keep the family legacy kept secret from the public. He is now coming of age where he needs to set off on his own for a time and explore the world, and honed his skills so he can be prepared to take up the family legacy. He himself would much rather just do his own thing than fight hoards of monsters without any game or recognition but he doesn't want to disappoint his family either, so now he sets forth into the world, both to home his skills, and maybe to discover himself and his true calling in life.
>>
>>53916062
Well he had training with smithing tools so he probably became a blacksmith on the side, or maybe a lumberjack. Most definitely some sort of side job or hobby where he can show off his abundance of strength.
>>
I can't sleep. So I wanted to know if there was any way to turn my gnoll into a phone.

A gnollphone yes.

You hold her near your face and you talk into her ear. And the answer resonates through her skull. Open the jaw for loudspeakers. Whoop when you got a message, cackle when someone's calling.

With like, an item or something.

I guess it'd take another gnoll to receive and transmit?
>>
Fuck off, why would you come to /5eg/ to rant about this shit? Go contact lifeline or whatever suicide/mental health services you can find.
>>
>>53916285
I think 4e had an item called "the blue tooth" that worked like a cellphone. You could talk to your DM about updating it.
>>
File: 1492961732877.jpg (55KB, 492x675px) Image search: [Google]
1492961732877.jpg
55KB, 492x675px
>It's the one billionth 'Hey guys any rules for crafting?' episode
>>
>>53916241
That sounds like a solid foundation for a future character. What is he like, personality-wise, besides being kind of independent?
>>53916281
He is a lumberjack, and he is okay.
>>
>>53916126
Advantage on initiative, advantage against creatures that haven't acted on the first round of combat, +2-4 damage against favored enemies based on level, advantage on saving throws against favored enemies, ignores difficult terrain and some minor action economy improvements to later features.
>>
>>53916285
A-Are you okay?
Are you well?
Did something happen at home?
>>
>>53915654
Newb shit incoming

>Past
Arctic Land Druid Wood Elf; socially ignorant and having spent far too much time wandering empty tundra he decides to head to warmer climates and see how the "civilized" world he's heard all about actually lives. Ends up falling in with a group of total sociopaths. He's gullible enough to think this is all normal and hopes that at least one of them will call him friend but continually stumbles through social situations and peer bonding. Ends up ambushed by vampire spawn and dumped in a ravine.

>Present
Lizardfolk Totem Barbarian; growing up she befriended an old human man who taught her how to cook, which completely blew her mind since lizardfolk aren't exactly culinary artists. She became obsessed with food and discovering new tastes, and after realizing how isolated and limited the local palette was, decided to become an adventurer and travel the world, collecting all the interesting flavors she can find in her cookbook. One day she hopes to be recognized for her little project, either by her own people or others of the world, because everyone should eat good food.

>Future
Rock Gnome Conjuration Wizard; comes from a large family mostly known for their tinkering skills. Uncle was particularly gifted and creative, but died mysteriously one day. The character himself isn't much of a tinkerer, and instead found a passion for the more creative and less precise art of glassblowing (much to the disappointment of his family). Shortly after his uncle's death a mysterious letter arrives, apparently written by the uncle before he died, with vague descriptions of a secret project he had been working on. In order to protect the project, blueprints for the various pieces has been sent to other family members over the years, often disguised as other trinkets and toys. As glasswork is a key component of the device it falls to the character to discover his uncle's secret and complete his work, redeeming himself (?) to his family.
>>
>>53916310
I swear this is not an elaborate ruse to say "yes this is gnoll but this is also phone. This is phonegnoll yes."

2SP per minute.

>>53916370
What?

Why would I tell you, anyway?
>>
>>53916355
Outside of being independent, he is overconfident in his skills due to his family legacy, and he is very helpful to people. He is a good Samaritan, the type of guy who would climb a tree to save your cat, or lend you some gold to help you get on your feat. He also adores being any sort of fame and glory he can get without risking his families secret legacy.
>>
>>53915654
>Past
Human Fiend Pact warlock who was basically an ancient nordic runecaster. Liked to collect bones, was very sarcastic, but also engaged in the ancient art of slam poetry when he decided to be more creative in his insults.

>Present
Dhampir Evocation Wizard that likes to take things apart to learn about them. Fluffed the disintegrate spell with my DM saying that when I use it successfully, I learn about the physical properties of the things I disintegrate, which was pretty cool.

>Future
Got my next character up and ready to roll out if my current one dies, he's a Red Oni Samurai Fighter that tries to be lawful, despite his chaotic nature. He compromises on this by being completely lawful and denying himself worldly pleasures while he's at work. But every 6 days he takes a day off to drink, fight, fuck, and generally indulge his chaotic nature.
>>
>>53916285
That's probably something you should be asking your GM about
>>
>>53915654

Past: I recently retired probably my most fun character to date: A clown adventurer. Ran him through Out of the Abyss as an Arcane Trickster Rogue/Trickery Domain Cleric. He was the kind of guy who never let the gravity of the situation get to him. The world could have been burning around him and he'd still do his best to crack a joke. Didn't really challenge authority, but didn't really go out of his way to do good.

Present: Been playing a Wood Elf wot4e Monk for about two years in an on-again-off-again campaign. As a former highway thug, he's spent considerable time attempting to better himself after suffering a humiliating defeat at the hands of an elderly human Monk in his distant past. Despite his distaste of humans, he's done his best to try and help out the human settlements he's traveled through.

Future: Starting two new campaigns. First up is a Dragonborn Battlemaster. I don't know anything about him, because DM says we all start with amnesia and we'll build the backgrounds later. Second character is a Dwarven Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorcerer. When he was born, lightning struck all the way through his mountain home right into the delivery room. Since then, he's dreamed of finding the Dwarven sky god who sent him this omen, but to his dismay, there were no Dwarven sky gods. Thus, he has gone out into the world to find one. Loud, rude, arrogant and not all that bright, he's a come-what-may kind of person.
>>
>>53916305
Are you okay?
>>
>>53916468
I have had so little sleep recently, I don't even know what I'm doing anymore, why I have those ideas, and why I'm telling you.
>>
>>53916534
Sleep then Jesus
>>
>>53916377
Your lizardfolk barbarian is Ratatouille. I approve of this. Also, I would expect at least twenty "I majored in underwater basketweaving at art school" jokes for your gnome wizard before it finally stops being funny.

Your wood elf was too innocent for the world.
>>53916427
Sounds like the good makings for a party face as well as basically being the guy who goes, "Yeah, we SHOULD go do this obvious quest." You might end up being your DM's favorite as a result.
>>53916454
You can't say that your warlock engaged in slam poetry and not give me specifics. That sounds fucking hilarious. And amazing. Any specific reason why your wizard takes stuff apart, or is he just that curious?
>>53916482
Fucking around with a class where morality is thought of as being so important can be fun if competently played. It sounds like it was a fun time. Has that elderly human come back up again at any point in your wood elf's game?
>>
>>53916542
>what is 'I can't sleep'
I just wanna die so bad right now, and I probably will if this keeps up. Waiting for the cardiac arrest.

Anytime.

Aaaanytime now.
>>
File: 1497840770556.jpg (65KB, 540x579px) Image search: [Google]
1497840770556.jpg
65KB, 540x579px
>>53916585
>>
>>53916585
Why Gnolls?
>>
File: DDAL- Kyle.pdf (205KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DDAL- Kyle.pdf
205KB, 1x1px
>>53915654
>>53916001
>>53916241
This is my present character. I didn't feel like copying over the background I wrote for him so I'm just going to share his character sheet. Enjoy.
>>
>>53916585
Anon, go get off 4chan and take a nap. I promise, we will be here when you come back.

I usually like a comfy mug of hot chocolate before bed and I read /tg/ on my phone until I finally sleep.
>>
File: imperius.jpg (60KB, 660x664px) Image search: [Google]
imperius.jpg
60KB, 660x664px
>>53915654
Past
>nazi soldier iskeaied to Abeir-Toril. Got a sitrep from the Trickster God who sent him there, turned paladin and black. Racist as fuck towards everyone but humans, elves and dragonborn. Sees elves as true aryans and dragonborn as the progenitors. Fucking hates the party's half-orc. Wants to prevent both worlds' destruction (as was fortold by the Trickster God)

Present
>Group's dad. Learnt to keep his shit together, serves as the moral compass for the group and leads the party. Being a PAM Vengeance paladin, he's the most powerful party member (mostly because other players can't into optimization). Respects the half-orc, because he comes up with effective strategies from time to time. A drink buddy with the party's half-elf. Killed a dragon by using the bag of holding bomb.

Future
>gon save the world and become THE ARCHANGEL OF GLORIOUS MELEE COMBAT
>>
>>53916581

No, I had stated in my backstory that the elf went and trained on a mountain for fifty years, his logic being that if a human could attain such strength in their short life spans, then as an elf he could attain much more strength. He is a fairly petty person. I imagine the elderly human monk would have died of old age in that time, but I'll leave that up to the DM to decide.

Poor elf though. The party has dragged him into a deal with fire giants, who we then betrayed by making a deal with a djinn. That hasn't come back to bite us in the ass yet, but I'm sure it will. Oh, also forgot, I've taken one level of Cleric with the monk, and spent the last few sessions roleplaying his discovery of religion. DM's been dropping hints about prophecies and what not. The monk is, of course, too stupid to put the pieces together.
>>
>>53916618
Because it's not nearly as funny with anything else.

Gnolls are silly creatures.
>>
my level 9 necromancer acquired a carrion crawler mount. We're in the underdark. What should I feed it? Our NPC followers flipped out when I fed it a goblin corpse because in the dark it kinda looked like a child, and they're losing their shit down here in the dark anyways. We're mostly humans.
>>
>>53916724
Furfag
>>
>>53916744
Feed it an NPC to shut them up
>>
What would be some cool attributes to give a time/freedom themed magic weapon?
>>
>>53916746
Are you autistic
>>
>>53916774
- Don't age
- Immune to time-based spells/timestop
- Cast grease

Not sure how much useful stuff you can do with those themes
>>
>>53916784
Are you?
>>
>>53916724
Gnolls are fucking great have you read Volo's Guide?
>>
>>53916801
Are you?
>>
GMs of /5eg/: What's an encounter that didn't go the way you expected to, either in a good way or a really bad way?
>>
>>53916812
Something something Yeenoghu I guess.

Something something Yeenoghu's phone company now.
>>
File: question.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
I was wondering if the content of CoS's roll20 module was going to be added to the megatrove later on?
>>
>>53916744
Feed it spare bits of the corpses of your enemies, or small chunks of your zombies that are chopped off during combat.
>>
>>53916817
Is he?
>>
Does anyone know how to make random encounter tables for a long-term campaign that won't TPK a low-level party?
>>
>>53916852
Is me?
>>
>>53916637
>necromancy salvant
>>
>>53916724
Fucking furry
>>
>>53916766
Maybe. I offered them worm rides to try to cheer them up. We kinda need them, but if they get unruly then someone will have to lay down the law.

>>53916774
>freedom
As an action, you can use the weapon to touch chains, manacles, and other forms of restraints and instantly shatter them.
>time
You are immune to magical aging, do not suffer the ill effects of old age, and cannot die from age.

Dunno if either of those match what you have in mind, maybe expand a bit on what you mean by time/freedom.
>>
>>53916867
Is phone?
>>
>>53916888
Big guy?
>>
>>53916823

>New DM
>Want to throw a filler encounter at my party as a break between important events
>Party is traveling with a Ranger NPC, challenges the party to a hunt-off
>Party accepts
>Party wanders the woods
>Get jumped by 8 wolves

It was a party of 3 at level 3, I figured they wouldn't have much trouble

>First round
>Sorc fires off a Scorching Ray, a Firebolt, and wild magic fires off something else
>Five misses in a row
>Wolves proceed to surround and almost TPK

Did not expect the party to have that much trouble, but they got crushed. Later on, I had intended them to fight a Helmed Horror as a difficult encounter, and they trashed it like it was a joke. I'm bad at this.
>>
Is a 3 level Rogue dip for Assassin worth it for a variant Ranger Hunter? I'm thinking being able to fucking machine gun crit everyone in the first round of combat would be really good.

But I'm worried bonus actions will be too competitive and that a couple of the features you get from Ranger are redundant with Cunning Action.
>>
>>53916880
No I love those ideas actually.

I'm running a sequel to CoS and the theme of the new dark lord is that she wishes for pure freedom but cannot attain it. The not!Sunsword is meant to represent the opposite of that. Immunity from her wrath, I suppose.

Players will probably not catch onto the motif but just anything interesting is great.
>>
>>53916900
Don't underestimate the power of numbers.
>>
>>53916872
Stay mad
>>
File: Capturar.jpg (16KB, 527x98px) Image search: [Google]
Capturar.jpg
16KB, 527x98px
Fuck
>>
>>53916920
Musky Husky
>>
File: Templar Knight.jpg (315KB, 1563x1788px) Image search: [Google]
Templar Knight.jpg
315KB, 1563x1788px
>>53915654
Past: Human Cleric of Pan who ran away from a noble family of dubious means and joined a traveling convent. Doesn't really talk about being nobility, just tries to focus on the day to day of life, and always tries to do good for the people he cares about.
Present: Tiefling Rogue who grew up in a family of 12 children and 1 mother. Tried to become a member of the navy and be on the up and up, but then a navyman killed his brother in broad daylight for stealing, without trial. DM later made the man into the BBEG of our campaign. Turned him right off into piracy, and has been going on from there.
Future: Paladin who fights to purge the darkness of the world, and defend the rights of people everywhere to determine their own destiny. Family in the farming district of a semi-important city, sends most of his money gained from adventuring to them and investments in advancing technologies, such as railways and new farming techniques, so as to help fund his adventures privately from any group that could turn tyrannical. Pic related, replace the cross with a standard hexagon with lines going out of every point.
>>
>>53916920
Bondage Gnoll?
You're not denying it, I guess
>>
>>53916336
Downtime activities(UA) and DMG
>>
>>53916940
Literally what
>>
>>53916823
LVL2 party of 5 almost got wiped by 6 goblins and a worg.
>party barb/fighter/paladin could block the tunnel while bard and warlock cast shit
>lmao
>bost warlock and bard run out in fornt of the fucking martials to use their rapiers and a dagger
>both git stabbed
>bard dies
>martials wipe the floor with the encounter (as expected)
It's like some of my players have brain damage
>>
>>53916953
Shirtless Gnoll wearing leather
>>
File: 1474982021846.jpg (29KB, 490x558px) Image search: [Google]
1474982021846.jpg
29KB, 490x558px
>>53916920
Your fursona would like mine :3
>>
>>53916900
Action economy is a bitch, if the enemy has number advantage they're way ahead.

Also, I could fight 8 cultists like they're nothing, but 8 kobolds/wolves? NOPE
>>
>>53916954
while they were retarded, level two is also rocket tag. Whichever side gets the first good stab in, wins.
>>
>>53916911
Sounds sick. I ran CoS too, but I think that party is going to Chult to deal with some elder evils that got loose in the sequel.

is the dark lord you're using from some of the older ravenloft stuff or something else you came up with?
>>
>>53916957
Why would a furred creature wear full-body clothing or armor? Why are suspenders "bondage gear" to you? Jumping to that conclusion honestly worries me more than the guy posting gnolls.
>>
>>53916957
Obviously the sexiest type of Gnolls.
Only if they have their girl dicks of course.
>inb4 dickgirls aren't gay
>>
>>53916957
>>53916965
Here are the actual furries
Fuck off furries
>>
>>53916823
>Playing starter set
>Party moving through Redbrand hideout
>Subdue a group of the bandits
>Party member gets an idea
>Makes a fucking human centipede out of them
>Using them as a mount, slowly moving through the dungeon, subdueing enemies and adding to the beast
>Find the captured townsfolk - a mother and two children
>They add them to the centipede

At that point I ended the session, and never played with them again
>>
>>53916984
He's autistic I think. He just shits thread for the sake of shitting thread.
>>
>>53914654

pls respond
>>
>>53911153
That is a load of nonsense, but it isn't all one conversation. Each of those is probably a quote from a different scene that ends with the sound effect. Like an actual movie scene if you were to try to track it down.

Though I think it's trying to say that Kenku don't talk about their past.

>>53913206
>If you're not vulnerable to fire and resistant to bludgeoning, you're not going to feel like a tree.
You could be a sapling

>>53913640
>>not immune to lycanthropy
Beast wars, dude.
>>
>>53917003
>At that point I ended the session, and never played with them again
you made a wise decision.
>>
File: 1477227882098.jpg (72KB, 485x900px) Image search: [Google]
1477227882098.jpg
72KB, 485x900px
>>53916995
Come join us, it's FUN!
>>
>>53916986
Hyenas are possibly the only existing example of legitimate feminine benis.

Futa is shit for faggots in denial though.
>>
What if STR gave you more distance on bows and thrown weapons?
>>
File: IMG_4910.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4910.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>53917058
Uncultured swine
>>
>>53917003
>Makes a fucking human centipede out of them
>subdueing enemies and adding to the beast
>a mother and two children
Were there any signs that they were psychopaths? And for curiosities sake how fucking long did they make it?
>>
Whew the cringe is mounting high and fast today

/pgg/ must be leaking
>>
>>53916871
Did I spell it wrong or something?
>>
>>53916983
Chult looks like so much fun.

Spoilers for CoS:
At the end of my CoS game the players had lead Patrina to Ravenloft. She had taken the gift of the Vampyr and killed her brother to enact the first stage of the process. Ever since she did this the mists returned and she's been trapped, attempting to find someone that hates her enough so that she can finish the process. Strahd's also back and I'm drawing heavy inspiration from Gryphon Hill.
>>
>>53916981
I know, that's why I made the entire dungeon a set of tunnels and small rooms, so that my martial players could go in front and block the enemy.
>>
>>53917069
300ft away I doubt range is the problem when you try to hit someone.
>>
File: IMG_5129.jpg (53KB, 1024x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5129.jpg
53KB, 1024x400px
"Who's hiding in the trashcan at midnight?
Who's been raping dogs in the park?
Who's wanted by the government for stealing a fully loaded Ravager MkIV jet-powered strike drone?

It's Grey the skunk!

There he goes, evading the cops! Being splattered on the pavement once again in a horrible freak accident! Grey the skunk!

Has to transfer in yet another clone!

Grey the skunk!"
>>
>>53917076
I believe they had 2 bugbears, a goblin, 4 bandits, glassstaff the wizard, then the family of 3
>>
File: smug wizard.jpg (365KB, 1693x569px) Image search: [Google]
smug wizard.jpg
365KB, 1693x569px
>>53916823
I've told this story once before, but it's still one of my favorites.

The players had been hearing rumors of an Orc warlord in the mountains who had been uniting some previously isolated orc tribes and whipping them up into a fervor of raiding and looting. I spent a few sessions building this guy up as a big threat: far smarter, sneaker, and more charismatic than the average orc, and rumored to be the chosen champion of a forgotten orc deity.

The players had heard rumors that this orc chief rode on a giant roc. Wanting a cool bird for themselves they resolved to head up into the mountains while his war party was out raiding to steal one of the roc's eggs. They met more resistance than they expected - some orcs had been left up in the mountains to guard the nest, and eventually it turned into the party falling back chased by orcs with the druid holding a big egg. As they began to run across a narrow rope over a huge, deep canyon, they heard the screeching of the roc mother returning from her hunt to find her nest pilfered. Above them in the sky was the bird, with the fabled orc warchief on her back.

The roc swoops down to tear up the bridge while the players are still crossing it. As it closes in, the wizard turns around and his player goes
>I bet the warchief has legendary immunities, but that doesn't mean his bird does!

The wizard snaps his fingers, casts banishment, and the orc warchief I spent four sessions building up to a confrontation with disappears shouting curses into the ravine bellow as his mount vanishes from underneath him.
>>
>>53914693
For the levels most people play, for the way that most people play, yes. But not always and not at all levels. Half Orc Champion with GWM starts to shine after level 11-15.
>>
>>53917151
kek
>>
>>53915961
bump?
>>
>>53916191
Her true age wasn't a secret and she just acted cute. Getting told I was a creep by NPCs was both constant and satisfying, as I got ammunition for smug banter every time.
>>
File: 1490282290491.jpg (183KB, 1500x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1490282290491.jpg
183KB, 1500x1157px
>>53917058

>He doesn't like futa
>>
>>53915172
The entire party is doppelgangers, changelings, awakened mimics or whatever, all of whom are trying to keep up the charade that they're the original character, and none of whom are aware the original party is long gone.
>>
>>53917134
>???
>>
File: 240446.gif (153KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
240446.gif
153KB, 500x500px
>>53916897
>>
>>53917324
I don't know what I'm looking at. All I know is that it makes me feel fear.
>>
>>53917301
Hilarious and awesome concept but I don't trust all of my players enough to handle it. Maybe 3 of them? Hmm. Might be worth a shot.
>>
>>53917349
What's going on in this thread?
>>
>>53917378
dont ask. just walk away.
>>
File: 1497878901514.jpg (2MB, 2364x3546px) Image search: [Google]
1497878901514.jpg
2MB, 2364x3546px
>>53917378
A train wreck. A burning screaming train wreck.
>>
>>53917058
Futa is the least gay porn out there.
See vanilla is 50% gay because there is a man there. But lesbian porn goes straight around to being 100% gay. But if one of the girls has a dick then it's only 25% gay which is the least amount of gay.
>>
>>53917378
It's becoming pfg 2.0, soon we will be all playing cat girls and kitsunes
>>
MOOOOOODS
>>
>>53917401
Is that some sort of inside meme, or outside drama?
>>
>>53915654
Dwarf tempest cleric of Umberlee, a former pirate who was charged with keeping Umberlee appeased so she didn't fuck over the ship. When a storm at sea killed some crew members, the captain and the rest of the crew blamed him, and threw him to the sharks. He woke up some time later, stranded on an island and injured but alive. Certain that his tributes to Umberlee were why he survived, he dedicated his life to her more fully, so that he might safely reach civilization, which he managed to do. However, the Bitch Queen demands continued tribute, and for her new cleric to strike fear of storms into people, a demand aided by the notoriety of the pirate crew (which nobody yet knows he is no longer a part of).

I haven't really worked out why he would join with other adventurers. I figure at least at first, he'll just feel out of his element being on land full time, and subconsciously wants a new "crew" rather than be alone.
>>
File: Sea_spawn-5e.jpg (114KB, 524x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Sea_spawn-5e.jpg
114KB, 524x1008px
Does anyone have an inspo for Spooky Fishing Villages?

>Tendrils of sea mist curl around almost seeming to follow you
>Damp low buildings covered in fishing nets and barnacles
>The tavern is full of hooded figures talking in low voices amongst themselves an open air of hostility
>At night the villagers congregate on the shore and meet with hideous fish men creatures led by a deep sea priest
>>
>>53917151
Sounds like metagaming to me anon.

>I bet the warchief has legendary immunities
>>
>>53917554
I had an idea for spooky pirate village that was basically Ghosts from Mars but with sea creatures. Pirates piercing their skin with pieces of coral, shark teeth, etc. Maybe it's kinda edgy but with a few fixes it might work for you.
>>
File: Gatorman.jpg (119KB, 550x570px) Image search: [Google]
Gatorman.jpg
119KB, 550x570px
>>53915654
>Past
Human Fighter in CoS campaign. We were rolling for stats and he got 18's in Str and Con while the rest was decent. Got turned into a werewolf first session because he got bitten by some random asshole werewolves that came out of the mist when I was trying to get the woman Strahd wanted to force to marry him into the mountains to hide her. Made friends with an npc who managed to control his werewolf side and helped me on said venture and coming to grips with becoming a werewolf.

Said npc went on to have a son with the woman Strahd was after since he watched over her in the mountains. Met said son as a grown man with his own family after his father was long dead due to other players in a separate session killing him since they became vampires and were working for Strahd. They were nice enough to invite me into their home despite me warning them that I hadn't controlled the werewolf side yet. They offered to help by keeping me in a cage so I wouldn't hurt anyone. Unfortunately my character's werewolf side had 20 Str and was too swole to control for the cage, so he wound up breaking out of the cage and snapped the son's neck. My character knew he was responsible and had to break the news to his family afterward. Then the session sort of ended since the DM got depressed and bailed.

>Present
Human UA Beastmaster Ranger. Has a pet giant albino wolf spider that he found in a necromancer's tower. Is currently on the hunt for said necromancer since he decided against killing him outright due to his own moral code and the fact the necromancer was fighting the current hobgoblin threat that we were and would have been a decent ally.

>Future
Might play either a Lizardfolk death cleric Gourmand that travels the land to taste various delicacies or a Kenku Druid that wanted to fly and cast off his obsession with shiny material wealth that damned his people.
>>
>>53916724
Is there an official release for Gnolls as PC's?
>>
>When a player has to utilize every single language, skill, and tool proficiency they have
>>
>>53917151
>I bet the warchief has legendary immunities, but that doesn't mean his bird does!
It would've at that point
>>
>>53917641
No, they are evil
>>
>>53917641
Was in 4e I think. You can use homebrew, as usual.
>>
>>53917105

>and thrown weapons

you could throw them like 30 feet instead of 20, I think that would make a big difference. I said bows too, because why not, but the extra range on thrown weapons would be the real prize.
>>
>>53917690
What does evil have to do with a race template being released?
Volo's had plenty of evil races like bugbears, kobolds and orcs.
>>
>>53917712
Gnolls are demons, inherently evil creatures, dont compare them with the ones you mentioned
>>
>>53917690
From my point of view the humans are evil
>>
Nothing but shitposting this time.

>>53917016
To be honest, the thread has been pretty shit so far.

>>53917087
It's spelled solvent. Look it up.

>>53917393
>Ignoring a Single category of porn
>>
>>53917712
He's just being dense.
>>
>>53917741
Then friend you are a gnoll
>>
So what does 5e do well outside of being simple? Like it feels like the only reason to really play is the star power of the system and not anytjing about it intrinsically.
>>
>>53916637
Looks pretty good, Don
>>
>>53916984
>Why would a furred creature wear full-body clothing or armor
Well, fur definitely isn't sword proof. Plus dogs are covered in fur and its pretty easy to see their ass and balls.
>>
>>53917698
> As usual you can homebrew it.

I feel like if anything this is the matara of 5e. "Sorry the designers couldn't be bothered, do it yourself."
>>
>>53917809
Well, yeah.
>>
File: 1388358828677.png (189KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1388358828677.png
189KB, 480x360px
what's the closest you've ever got to magical realm?
I'm only asking because I think our DM is sending us into a MR situation
>>
>>53917809
To be fair you shouldn't expect WoTC to make a race template for every single monster.
>>
>new girl joins
>sits on phone
>contribution is suggesting dumb things every 30 mins or so that aren't relevant because she hasn't been listening
>assume she didn't like it
>comes back and does the exact same shit again
for why tho
>>
>>53917900
>for why tho
To be with you ~
>>
>>53917900
She wants attention?
>>
>>53917835
explain the situation anon
and yes but it was good

>>53917900
maybe she liked it. Have you asked
>>
>>53917835
DM kept trying to make my character work in a brothel, although I don't know if it was magical realm or just the npc character
>>
>>53917841
True. But at the same time Gnolls have been around for a long ass time. The exclusion makes no sese.

Plus homebrewing in 5e is actually pretty hard since the thing is so tightly balanced that anything remotely good or even above average just wrecks faces.
>>
>>53915654

>Past

A Halfling rogue pirate. He was the captain of the SS "Big Booty", and had a Wood Elf lover. But she's dead now and he lost his moral compass. He basically went from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral, sliding towards Chaotic Evil.

>Present

A human fighter, being part of a Town Guard. He's been a war veteran and formally trained by the academy in the capital city. Everyone in the party underestimates him as a "country bumpkin" or "a local who has never heard of a bookstore or knows the word book". Being polite, he dismisses all these insults.

On another note, I may have to reuse this character in a Forgotten Realms setting because I don't like the course this campaign is taking.

>Future

A Tabaxi Rogue, wife of the human fighter, who takes up adventuring after he dies. May develop an eating disorder due to high amounts of stress.
>>
What are some insults kobolds might have for elves and humans?
>>
>>53917947
soft-things
>>
>>53917937
>Plus homebrewing in 5e is actually pretty hard
it's not hard, people are just really fucking stupid
>>
File: Flattop elf.png (558KB, 553x742px) Image search: [Google]
Flattop elf.png
558KB, 553x742px
Well, they could use the same insults that our party wizard does for elves, orcs, and hob-goblins:
>"Fucking twink elf!"
Usually its something along those lines. Tends to work better on hobgoblins and orcs since they fucking hate elves and being called one really sets them off.
>>
>>53917947

Elves: "spindle-legs", "francy-prancies", "foul-fae"

Humans: "humdumbers", "potato-sack people"
>>
File: 1497969248451.jpg (16KB, 512x548px) Image search: [Google]
1497969248451.jpg
16KB, 512x548px
>DM introducess 7 different NPCs all with different voices yet nothing interesting to say in the span of 15 minutes
>>
>>53917789
Combat is fast. Modifiers are easier to calculate. Advantage / Disadvantage works really well. Class design in general is really good. Few trap options,
>>
What's a good feat for a level 8 Swashbuckler Rogue? Magic Initiate for melee cantrips is an obvious choice but I don't think it fits the character very well.

I always wanted to try Mage Slayer, but I try not to end my turn within 5 feet of enemies on this guy.
>>
>>53916427
>or lend you some gold to help you get on your feat.
>feat.

I wish I could just buy feats with gold...
>>
>>53917988
I disagree if you even try to fo anything unique you basically break everything. This is not a easy game to homebrew when you basically have to handle everything with cotton balls and Q tips.
>>
>>53918059
Dam near ever system that isnt 3.5 already does that. And all those things you listed other systems do better.
>>
>>53914257
>Going on a holy crusade to purge the land of untruths and bring people into the light by force is evil

kek
>>
File: Ilmater.jpg (54KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ilmater.jpg
54KB, 400x480px
Who is the best deity and why is it Ilmater?
>>
>>53918100
here's a trick, try not being absolutely fucking retarded and start by modifying the base PCs, THEN look at your creation and ask yourself "Is there any reason to NOT choose this race?" If there is no reason to not choose that race, go back to the drawing board.

I've seriously seen people make homebrew races that get level 3 spells 3/day and homebrew classes that were some base class, only better in every single way.

Homebrewers are fucking retards.
>>
>>53918154
None because D&D gods are pretty shite
>>
>>53917927
we have to go into a women only kingdom to rescue a princess from the queen's harem by using magic amulets to transform ourselves into women for one hour the main problem was the level of detail he went into when we first transformed and how he described the first city we entered in the kingdom
>>
>>53918118
Ok. Go to the general for one of those systems then instead of shitposting here.

>>53918171
Post some of your homebrew if it's high quality I want it.
>>
>>53918208
>Post some of your homebrew if it's high quality I want it.
I don't make homebrew, because I'm not a retard snowflake that needs super special races to make my peepee hard.
>>
I got a player in my group that wants to make his pali a dual-wielding hammer man.
Is the dual wielder feat good enough as it is? Or are there any changes that are generally used to make it on par?
>>
>>53918208
No point in going. D&D has such a strangle hold on this industry you are never gonna find anything else to play.
>>
>>53918234
Go to /pfg/ and ask if anyone wants a player or offer to DM a game.

Better yet check out Roll20.
>>
>>53918226
Make sure he realizes that if he says "hammertime" at any point in the adventure, you will smite his character.
>>
>Gnoll Traits
>Your strength increases by 2, your constitution increases by 1
>Bite: you can use your sharp teeth as natural weapons, 1d6+str mod piercing damage
>bloodlust: if you land the killing blow on a creature you can move up to half your movement speed as a bonus action
>savage feast: you can spend 10 minutes feasting on a corpse allowing you to heal 1d8+con mod, once per long rest
>battle insticts: you are proficient in axes and medium armor
I guess they'd speak common and whatever else Gnolls speak. I suppose they could take a -2 to intelligence, but negative stat penalties are dumb.
How's that for a rough attempt?
>>
>>53918259
The former is a shitier 3e the later is to basically "go not have fun"

I may try roll 20 though.
>>
File: Phillip.png (233KB, 771x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Phillip.png
233KB, 771x1023px
Making a charismatic BM fighter for a oneshot, does this look decent? I'm worried about bonus actions but idk how much you get to use maneuvers anyway and knocking someone down might not be great every round with the rogue being ranged.
>>
>>53918266
>battle insticts: you are proficient in axes and medium armor
Make it Light or you just made better Dwarves. Other then that everything they have is a mechanical effect for combat, they have zero abilities that will help in any other area of the game.
>>
>>53918266
You basically copy pasted the half orc.
>>
>>53918221
>making homebrew is super easy I just don't do it.
hmm...
>>
>>53918266

I am opposed to it on the grounds that their bite is stronger than lizardfolk bite.
>>
>>53918266
you forgot darkvision 60, you gimp.
>>
>>53918292
Light it is then.
>>53918293
Which parts? I was basing it more on the Lizardfolk template.
>>
>>53918299
Lizardfolk's bite is listed as 1d6+str mod.
>>53918300
thanks.
>>
>>53918266
There's already a brew on the wiki.
>>
>>53918265
Fuck that, I might give him inspiration if he lands the killing blow on something big with that.
>>
>>53918326

yeah but gnolls get +2 STR. Therefore any time you might have played a lizardfolk for the bite attack, a gnoll would be a better choice
>>
>>53918330
>He unironically uses dandwiki
Wew.
>>
File: deep-bastards-v001.pdf (642KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
deep-bastards-v001.pdf
642KB, 1x1px
if we're doing race homebrews, how's this one

I wrote it past midnight so there will be typos and expedited text and I didn't feel like copying the stuff out of my setting documents in yet.
>>
>>53918226
DW isn't great, partially because the feat is worse than all the other weapon feats. Pally is a decent class for it once you hit level 11 but that isn't common, so polearm or sword and board is better in most circumstances. If he really wants to though, it's just a bit less damage/AC than those.
>>
How about a trait for a dog-like race?
>Fierce Loyalty: If you are within 10ft of a friendly creature and drop below zero hp you do not become incapacitated. Instead you become dazed and continue making death saving throws on your tun as normal. If you end your turn farther than 10ft from a friendly creature you fall unconscious.
>>
>>53918349
But it's a 1d6, the bite attack is 90% flavor. You will always be better off swinging a weapon than using your bite.
>>
>>53918226
Basically what >>53918385 said. Dual-Wielding's probably one of the weaker choices but it's not unplayable or anything.

Paladin does it pretty good, just let him take the Fighting Style.
>>
>>53918408

Yeah, assuming you never get disarmed or have your hand occupied doing something else. Right now I'm playing a lizard who broke his arm so it's bite attacks all day

You could also to something like have your hand free to cast a bonus action spell with somatic components and still bite if you want to.
>>
>>53918474
Okay, so your bite attack on average deals 1 point less damage in this weird specific situation where you are already gimped. Wow. That sure is impactful.
>>
>>53918474
I think that the Lizardfolk's natural armor makes up for it.
>>
File: 1473387920650.png (814KB, 818x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1473387920650.png
814KB, 818x1440px
Trying to make a kobold homebrew... suggestions? One idea I have is a +1/+1/+1 array like the triton, but Dex/Con/Cha
>>
So my barbarian got boots of flying, and my DM decided reckless and the boost to damage from rage apply to thrown weapons.

Should I take a level or two in rogue to get sneak attack damage on ranged attacks, and throw hand axes while I fly around really angry?
>>
>>53918366
>Deep Ones
Main race is fine. Maybe make each subrace get a +1 ASI (like elves) instead of giving +3 on the main race, gives more differences to them.

>Atlanteans
Fine.

>Reef Dwellers
Venom Handler: I'd advise to not give two resistances (Cold and Poison)
>>
>>53918417
Is DWF that much better?
>>
>>53918492

And is 5% less accurate

>>53918511

Natural armor doesn't beat regular armor unless you invest heavily in Dex. That's another thing. Lizardfolk's class features make them hungry for Dex, STR, and CON to make the most of them. This gnoll race can just go full STR and plate mail.
>>
>>53918544
Sorry, I meant Two-weapon fighting
>>
>>53918531
>hand axes
>sneak attack

For fuck's sake, every thread there's at least 3 people who say you can sneak attack with them. Every time I have to pull up Crawford's direct quote saying no.

Ranged Weapon ≠ Throwing Weapon. Your throwing weapon has to have Finesse because it's still a melee weapon, just making a ranged weapon attack.
>>
>>53918553
>>53918553
But what about the weird situation where your armor has been taken away! Now that Lizard is 15% less likely to be hit than you are with the same stats. That's even more impactful than the 5% accuracy on bite attack.
>>
File: 1496542731909.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1496542731909.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>53918399
Is this overpowered?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (46KB, 720x713px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
46KB, 720x713px
>>53918553
I've been caught without armor far more often then I've been caught without a weapon.
Didn't help that my DM used the exhaustion rules for sleeping in armor.
>>
File: smug_ghost_eats_french_toast.jpg (39KB, 457x496px) Image search: [Google]
smug_ghost_eats_french_toast.jpg
39KB, 457x496px
>>53918584

how easy is it to disarm someone vs have your armor taken off in this game? There are actual moves for disarming, none for stripping.
>>
>>53918611
I guess your DM just does that more than mine, by which I mean I've only been disarmed like 3 times in all the games I've ever played, and all of them were the result of fumbles.
>>
>>53918611
>Stripping
Pretty sure that would be Performance. DC would depend on the mood of the person watching.
>>
>>53918290
Bump
>>
Have they expanded on animal companions?
>>
>>53918586
>>53918399
What does dazed mean? Stunned?
>>
>>53918580
Okay, sorry homey I haven't played a rogue since AD&D. I could throw daggers, then? for 1d4+str+rage+sneak?
>>
>>53918700
Oh and you make an extra good point since he emphasized that the hand axes are melee weapons making thrown attacks, and not ranged weapons, which is how he/I justify the reckless attack working with melee weapons being thrown.
>>
>>53918700
>>53918700
Yeah, you're alright and it's an easy mistake. The wording's awful in the game.

Throwing angry daggers works fine.
>>
>>53918678
Huh. I thought 5e had a condition that limited a character to one movement or one attack action.
Well what would you suggest then? they can continue fighting with disadvantage on attacks, ability checks and only have half their movement speed?
>>
>>53918154
Because he's a pimp.
>>
>>53918717
I mean you can justify it any way you want but it doesn't make it less wrong. Melee weapon attack IIRC never means [melee weapon] [attack], but rather [melee] [weapon attack].
>>
What are some environmental hazards that can hinder a party of level 10s with flying/teleporting abilities?

I'm thinking deep water and narrow corridors etc.
>>
>>53918720
Well, I can't say I'm very experienced with this sort of thing, but I would say that, as they should be on the ground bleeding out, the effect should last until they fail their first death saving throw, at max, at which point they pass out as normal. On top of that, I'd say they need to be extremely limited. The ability to make even a single action can change the course of a battle, especially if it's a spellcaster or even something with a heal. Maybe make it impossible to use an action other than attack or dodge. And I'd say little to no movement.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, like I said I'm not very experienced making homebrews (or even dm'ing in general). But that ability has a lot of room for abuse, I feel.
>>
>>53918266
>>53918292
I'd actually replace battle instincts with a bonus skill proficiency, probably.
>>
>>53918789
Waterfalls of LAVA
Toxic/explosive gas filled rooms
Stalactites/icicles falling from the ceiling if they make too much noise
Poison plants
Flame spouts
Strong wind currents with treacherous terrain around them.
>>
>>53918700
>>53918717
>>53918718

Reckless attack and Rage do not apply to thrown weapons. Both say "melee weapon attack", which means "an attack within your reach with a weapon". Throwing a weapon is a ranged attack with a melee weapon, but is not a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>53918831
Half-orcs have relentless endurance, and that's once per day.
>>
>>53918920
>Throwing a weapon is a ranged attack with a melee weapon,
Throwing a weapon is making a ranged weapon attack by throwing your weapon. There are ranged thrown weapons like Darts.
>>
>>53918952
I forgot about that. Well, in that case, whatever you do with this ability, it will end up being worse than that, won't it? I suppose if you have the ability to use it more than once per day, but have it apply exhaustion? I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Maybe have the option to pass out, or gain a level of exhaustion for every turn you stay up while at zero hp?
>>
File: 1471227-she_hulk_by_portalcomic.jpg (3MB, 3279x5079px) Image search: [Google]
1471227-she_hulk_by_portalcomic.jpg
3MB, 3279x5079px
What's the best class to play if I wanna transform into something else? Not druid, but something more like Alchemist with Mutagen. Any third party stuff is fine.
>>
>>53918154
Helm > any other god
>>
>>53918831
The healing thing is a good point.
how about this:
>Fierce Loyalty: When you drop below 0 hp within 10ft of a friendly creature you do not become incapacitated, instead you become Defiant. While Defiant you make death saving throws as if incapacitated and have disadvantage of ability checks, saving throws and your movement speed is halved. You can take no action to heal yourself, if you end your turn father than 10ft away from a friendly creature you fall unconscious. Succeeding all of your death saving throws will stabilize you as normal.
Is this too complicated?
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 953x684px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 953x684px
>>53919119
>>53918154
That is a funny way to spell Kord
>>
>>53918513
how about not being a stain on humanity and use the kobold race stats in volo's
>>
>>53919093
Fluff barbarian rage as hulking out.
>>
>>53919093
Psion has a spell that makes them large.
>>
https://www.orcpub2.com/
Go /5eg/ make more characters!
>>
>>53917069
Wow it's fucking nothing.jpg
But sure, yes.
>>
>>53918201
Which twintail did you become?
>>
>>53919312
>Wow it's fucking nothing.jpg

True, but....

1. a tiny boost to STR can't hurt, since everyone thinks DEX is a better overall stat.

2. It bugs the hell out of me that the game has things like jump distance basted on stats, but you can never ever be strong enough to throw things farther than their normal range.
>>
What's a good God for a lightly religious (ie: practicing and goes to church when possible but doesn't go out of their way to do so) Hobgoblin raised in Human society?

Some notes-
>They're LN, would like to consider themselves LG but their Hobgoblin "kill things that step out of line" blood sometimes comes out
>Character has the Sailor background, so a Sea God could work
>A god that would actively protect their soul from Magublyet despite them not being a Cleric or otherwise super religious, as the lore implies ol' Maggy would throw a bitchfit over even one Hob not being under his thumb
>Due to growing up as a Hobgoblin in a Human city they've secretly grown to hate that they're a Hobgoblin and that there's a dickbag deity constantly breathing down their neck (similar to how Half Orcs are noted to feel Gruumrush's presence), if asked they'd just say "it's pointless to worry about, I am what I am."

I don't know if it'll even come up but figured I'd better cover my bases just to be safe.
>>
>>53919334
Ilmater is basically THE god for monster humanoids who are trying to be good.
>>
>>53919263
because that was wizards being lazy as shit and saying "the stuff in there is fine" and like 8 races just get copy paste from the MM while others get changed in a full write-up. Just when you thought they got away from negatives they go and screw over the kobolds. So no I refuse to use that -2 strength. They didn't give it to them in 4e, why the change?
>>
So, a player of mine went and got gored by a wereboar. How should I handle this curse? I can think of a reasonable way for him to get rid of it, but I'm not sure if I should slap him with a transformation immediately, give him some time, then hit him with a transformation, or just ignore it and let him go cure himself up. How do these things normally work?
>>
>>53919334
choose a god based on what your character aspires to be.
>>
>>53919386
>They didn't give it to them in 4e, why the change?
because fuck you, that's why. As a small character you weren't going to use that strength anyways.
>>
>>53919334
Probably Melora given your sailor background, given she's a goddess of the sea and wilderness. She's generally a neutral nature goddess that sailors often pray to for safe passage or people traveling through the wilderness.
>>
>>53917835

literally the closest I've ever gotten.

>party fighting generic giant monster, we're low level as fuck
>manage to get some decent damage in, but it smashes through our front line leaving only the wizard (male player, male character) and rogue (female player, female character)
>12 AC wizard charges into melee and punches the monster doing no damage
>rogue is able to get sneak attack now that the wizard is in melee, gets the killing blow
>after the fight, rogue talks about her character wants to fuck the wizard now
>>
>>53919386
>They didn't give it to them in 4e, why the change?
It's a different edition.

Kobolds look much worse then they are in play, as long as you have a party who is willing to wait until night time to do things when appopriate. Pack Tactics is possibly the most powerful racial ability in the game if used right.

I was upset they don't make good Sorcerers and Warlocks at first, but with Pact Tactics they actually do blaster casters very well.
>>
File: 1497998815070.png (94KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1497998815070.png
94KB, 396x385px
>DM won't stop referring to my non humanoid as a human and always gets my weapons and armor wrong
>>
>>53919441
h-hot
>>
>>53919465
Sorcerers are fine, Warlocks are awful
>>
>>53919486
>Warlocks are awful
>Nearly always having Advantage on EB
>Can Darkness+Devil's Sight to cover your main weakness
>awful

They're better at being Warlocks then they are at being a lot of things.
>>
>>53919465
>I was upset they don't make good Sorcerers and Warlocks at first, but with Pact Tactics they actually do blaster casters very well.
HOLY SHIT THAT WORKS! I didn't even think of it being used with spell attacks. That's fucked up! I love it.
>>
File: Muscle wizard.jpg (1MB, 1123x1463px) Image search: [Google]
Muscle wizard.jpg
1MB, 1123x1463px
>>53919441
I guess casting fist has effects other than damage
>>
>>53919543
Nothing like quickening and launching 6 Scorching Rays with advantage. Even if you don't want to do Sorclock as a Sorcerer, you should pick up Eldritch Blast with magic initiate because you're basically a Crit-Fishing caster at that point.
>>
File: Link disguise.png (2MB, 1272x1850px) Image search: [Google]
Link disguise.png
2MB, 1272x1850px
>>53918201
Could have been worse. The DM could have had you all make disguise checks by crossdressing rather than magical transformation amulets.
>>
>>53918920
>an attack within your reach with a weapon
Another nitpick, a melee weapon attack doesn't actually need to be with a weapon, you can use your unarmed strike as well. Hence how paladins can smite with their fists and barbarians can rageslap things with their dicks for 16 damage.
>>
>>53919590
kobold paladin, if we're fishing for crits, let's smite someone's dick off!
>>
File: 1381227055932.jpg (38KB, 395x456px) Image search: [Google]
1381227055932.jpg
38KB, 395x456px
>>53919652

>Worse
>Implying
>>
>>53919677
Kobolds are actually decent DEX Paladins, your Find Steed gives you a creature who can reliably give you Advantage.
>>
>>53919465
no, i like how open 4e was, if you wanted to play a kobold STR fighter, you weren't going to be too far behind and could actually catch up early on cause they didn't have fucking negatives to stats. Being locked to DEX because of negatives is another 3-3.5 artifact that needs to stay buried.
>>
How do I Yuan-ti without being a complete faggot snek man?
>>
>>53919779
>without being a complete faggot snek man?
Why would you want to?
>>
>>53919788
Every time I've seen someone play then they're always the retarded kind of Lawful Evil, and hiss a lot.

I would rather not be annoying as hell to the table but their fluff doesn't give much wiggle room
>>
How should I roleplay a 6 int Orc bounty hunter?
Specifically the 6 int part.
>>
>>53919779
Maybe just don't play like a faggot? I really don't get why people feel like they are/have to be "that guy" because they pick a race. It's all about how you play it. Sure NPC's might be racist at you, but that's about the extent of it if your group's not a bunch of assholes. Nowhere does it say that such-and-such race is 100 percent dickbutts or whatever. Some have inclinations, but you don't HAVE to play that way.
>>
File: char_sheets.jpg (73KB, 237x300px) Image search: [Google]
char_sheets.jpg
73KB, 237x300px
>>53914060
Anyone seen this product's contents?
Checked the Trove but nothing new.
What's inside?

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/charactersheets
>>
>>53919664
Yeah. It's more like physical and magical rather than weapon and spell.
>>
>>53919814
by cutting out the bounty hunter part. No way is that dumb fuck catching anyone when he can be outsmarted by the dullest of dirt farmers.

>YOU COME WIF ME!
>Uhh...yeah, sure...uhh...just give me a sec to gather up my things *runs out backdoor*
>>
>>53919814
Don't play the low int too hard. Maybe make some poor decisions, pretend you're smarter than you are (state objectively incorrect things as facts, piece together clues and puzzles completely incorrectly, etc.), and generally be none-too-bright.
But don't do stupid shit that makes your group suffer too much, or everyone will just hate you.
>>
>>53919814
By being a thug hireling to another PC or an NPC.
>>
>>53919828
I think the main issue with Yuan-ti is they literally, are completely devoid of emotion. Which makes it hard to roleplay a character who doesn't annoy others when the races main thing is that they're all incapable of having an emotional attachment to people.
>>
>>53919814
Make sure someone in the party is willing to be your partner who is the brains of the operation.
>>
>>53919873
They can't trick me if they're dead anon. Plus he has 14 wis.
>>
File: 1493072089290.png (571KB, 728x560px) Image search: [Google]
1493072089290.png
571KB, 728x560px
>>53919503
>You have 2 spell slots until you hit level 10 or 11, when most campaigns are ending.
>You can cast Darkness once. Or twice, if you're a try-hard.
>Uh-oh, now your party can't see. Good teamwork, asshole.
>Hope you don't mind spamming EB all day when you run out of spell slots by the end of your first turn.
>implying anyone wants to ruin the immersion and short rest after every combat encounter for the warlock with stamina equivalent to an old lady with peg legs

>muh EB
>only move that's decent for Warlocks
>never think about why every Warlock spams the same thing all day and night
>"it's a good class I swear"
really makes you think
>>
>>53919901
>They can't trick me if they're dead anon
except for that time in the black forest, right?
>>
File: 1489517570147.png (13KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
1489517570147.png
13KB, 418x359px
>look at fellow players high elf wizard
>they have written down a total of 3 cantrips and 2 spells
>>
>High damage at-will
>Easy to track spell slots (only 2/rest lol)
>Lots of customization via invocations
>Edgy flavor
I love warlocks
>>
>>53919864
>three additional styles of double-sided character sheets giving veteran players options based on their individual play preference and spell sheets for keeping track of their magical repertoire
Almost guaranteed worse than the custom ones and especially if you want class specific ones.
>>
>>53919930
>can only cast two spells per short rest
>most combats last maybe three turns
Oh, the humanity.
>>
>>53919930
>>Uh-oh, now your party can't see. Good teamwork, asshole.
Read Darkness, then read the Blind condition and tell me why you're so retarded.
>>
>>53919930
They were talking about how good sorcerer/warlock was /for kobold/. No one disagrees warlocks aren't the best balanced class when you have 1 hour short rests.
>>
>>53919930
>Hope you don't mind spamming EB all day
Meanwhile, the fighter...
>>
>ranger gets a beast companion at 3
>necromancer doesn't get create undead until 6
Why
>>
>>53920036
because ranger needs the help.
>>
>Yuan Ti Far Traveler using the "Music=Foreign Wizard style" theme
>Hexblade 3 (Blade Pact)/Lore Bard X
>Fluff Pact Weapon as a Guzheng (giant harp, mainly just using blade pact so I don't need to worry about the logistics of carrying this huge thing)
>take Agonizing and Repelling blast
>become pic related
Y/N?
>>
>>53920036
Because Necromancers do more then make undead, animating the dead is generally a more powerful and frowned upon thing the school can do.
>>
>>53920036

>Necromancy wizard's undead get extra HP and damage
>Death Cleric's undead don't

why
>>
>>53920098
Because the company isn't called Clerics of the Coast.
>>
>>53915770
I dunno, I prefer Roll20 to FG, and I don't even use dynamic lighting. I wish it wasn't web-based, though.
>>
>>53920116

WHY
>>
>>53920098
Necromancers focus on raising dead more where Cleric focuses on making things dead more
>>
File: 1488650078314.png (203KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
1488650078314.png
203KB, 528x528px
>>53919942
>>High damage at-will
For about 2 attacks, yes. Congrats. Hope you're ready for some epic eldritch blast spamming!

>>Lots of customization via invocations
Let's be honest here: most of the choices pick themselves. Everyone will pick the staples as they become available, and then go for fluff or utility. Invocations are still about the only redeeming factor of Warlocks, though.

You're right on the 2/rest lol and edge factor, though.

>>53919956
>implying you only get into one encounter per dungeon run
>spamming your two shots and going dry for half of the dungeon
>implying your DM is obligated to throw short rests at your feet because you've got to take a shit and can't concentrate on casting spells.
>he takes three turns in combat each time
You must have a really shitty DM lad.

>>53919962
>missing the point

>>53919997
For kobold? Probably. Warlock is the second worst class in the PHB (original ranger wins that race) so it'd be a good fit for an equally shitty race. They should probably just pick draconic sorcerer though.

>>53920015
Yes, the Fighter who can spam about 6 to 8 attacks simultaneously more times than Warlocks can cast spells via action surge and switch things up with maneuvers. And they can use a fighting style, wear heavy armor beyond 13+dex mage armor memery, use long bows... and hell, Eldritch Knight's are better gishes by far, especially when you consider that you have to expend an invocation just to attack twice when every other melee class gets it automatically.
>>
>>53919930
>never think about why every Warlock spams the same thing all day and night
>Barbarian:
I hit it with my greataxe!

>Fighter:
I hit it with my sword!
I hit it with my sword!
I hit it with my sword!
I hit it with my sword!
I hit it with my sword!
>>
>>53914701
>>53915957

Hey so about those maps..
>>
File: 1479991506651.jpg (68KB, 737x290px) Image search: [Google]
1479991506651.jpg
68KB, 737x290px
>>53920176
>not grappling
>not shoving
>not using feat abilities
>not using maneuvers
>not using EK spells more than twice in one fight
>not improvising beer bottles on the villain
>not using your magical weapon abilities
>not raging and doing barb shit
>not nuking with 30 fighter attacks at once through shenanigans

>You:
I don't use my brain!
I don't use my brain!
I don't use my brain!
I don't use my brain!
I don't use my brain!
>>
>>53920165
>>implying you only get into one encounter per dungeon run
I never did
>>spamming your two shots and going dry for half of the dungeon
Yeah, I'm not a fucking retard, you don't spam your two spells in one encounter unless you are desperate.
>>implying your DM is obligated to throw short rests at your feet because you've got to take a shit and can't concentrate on casting spells.
The fuck are you even talking about?
>>he takes three turns in combat each time
again, the fuck are you even talking about?

>Yes, the Fighter who can spam about 6 to 8 attacks simultaneously more times than Warlocks can cast spells via action surge and switch things up with maneuvers. And they can use a fighting style, wear heavy armor beyond 13+dex mage armor memery, use long bows... and hell, Eldritch Knight's are better gishes by far, especially when you consider that you have to expend an invocation just to attack twice when every other melee class gets it automatically.

Dude, no one is talking about gishes but you, the topic was Eldritch Blast spamming, which is in no way different from fighter saying "I attack him with my sword"x4
>>
>>53918788
>>53918920
Sorry for playing make believe wrong guys. I'll try to have less fun next time.
>>
>>53920165
>For about 2 attacks, yes. Congrats. Hope you're ready for some epic eldritch blast spamming!
I was talking about EB, it's a great cantrip!

>Let's be honest here: most of the choices pick themselves.
At level 2, yes, I always choose agonizing, then at 3rd level I pick a pact boon related cantrip (book of Ancient Secrets is amazing). Later on, there are dozens of good and great options, if you didn't fall to the bladelock meme.
>>
>>53920220
>you don't spam your two spells in one encounter unless you are desperate.
Yeah that's the fucking problem there isn't it. You've got so few resources you basically never do anything but Eldritch Blast because you can't afford to cast spells.
>>
>>53920220
>he ends up casting 1 spell
>only has 1 other spell left
>never uses it because he might need it later
>3 hours later into the same campaign
>session ends
>never used that spell
>>
>>53920251
again, fighters and barbarians swing away all day, it is no different.

>>53920267
how is that different from a low level wizard?
>>
I had more fun playing a warlock than I ever had when played a sorcerer or a druid desu
>>
>>53920280
A low level wizard has shit spell slots but by level 10 he can cast a dozen spells all day long.

A warlock only has 2 spell slots until he hits level 10 or 11. Then it's 3 until level 17.
>>
>>53920280
A low level wizard already has twice as many spells as the Warlock and that gap only increases as they level.
>>
>>53920302
Warlock fluff is great but it's probably the second worst class of the PHB (only original ranger beats it in shit factor).
>>
>>53915654

A shadow monk who thinks they got kicked out of their order for not being good enough, who know trains their skills as a thief sort of because they can't really do anything else with their skills, and sort to prove their worth to themself.
>>
>>53920217
>using EK spells more than twice in one fight

now that's a fucking laugh, you only have 3 spells per LONG rest as EK until level 7
>>
>>53920319
It isn't though
>>
Why is Storm of Vengeance such a shit spell for level 9? All up it can deal a maximum of 20d6 to a single creature and a lot of that doesn't get a save.... but it takes 10 fucking rounds to do.
>>
>>53920304
you mean when the game is over? Boy what an advantage that is.

>>53920314
yes but at those low levels the warlock still keeps pace if you have even one short rest at anytime throughout that day. Let's not pretend that you regularly go more than two fights before even the Fighter is asking for a short rest to recover his action surge and second wind.
>>
>>53920352
Because druids can't have nice things, all their spells must be boring, useless or make the DM hate you
>>
>>53920352
it's more of a "story" spell, to break sieges are lower army morale. It's not really a "combat" spell.
>>
>>53920413
break sieges OR lower army morale
>>
>>53920380
>>5392035
Except Druids do get really good spells, they also get all the worst ones.

I mean things like Animal Shapes, Tsunami, Heat Metal, Spike Growth, Entangle, Conjure Animals and so on are good... but then they've got stuff like Speak to Animals and other shit like that.

If you look at the best Druid spells they're pretty fucking great.
>>
I want to play a monk.

Open hand and kensei seem meh to me. They work on monks dps, where it's not really his niche. I want to be secondary dps, but an ultra mobile stun machine and support. How's tranquility monk? Shadow? Are there any good multiclasses that increase the monks utility? Preferably not warlock darkness cheese either. How about tranquility + cleric? Shadow + ranger?
>>
>>53920435
Be Sun Soul, it's more fun then you think it is.
>>
>Import monster feature for the roll20 script ain't doing jack shit
gah
>>
>>53920428
>Heat Metal
Situational

>Conjure Animals
The DM and the other players will hate you for summoning 8 wolfs and slowing down the combat so much
>>
File: Kaiokek times forty.png (654KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
Kaiokek times forty.png
654KB, 680x510px
>>53920352
Because its basically a druid spirit bomb and must take several episodes to fully charge.
>>
>>53920232
There are rules. You're not following those rules. Don't be butthurt when others point that out. Of course there's nothing wrong with changing a rule to better suit the fiction or to make it more fun, as long as it doesn't get completely unbalanced as a result. Rage damage on thrown weapons make sense and I'd allow it, reckless attack doesn't make much sense for me on thrown but still wouldn't break anything mechanically.
>>
>>53920435
>They work on monks dps
This is a turn based game, it's DPR, not DPS
>>
>>53920463
Situational yeah, but in the situation you're fighting anything with armour it's basically a death sentence with no save. A lot of enemies wear armour.

I agree Conjure Animals is fucking annoying, doesn't mean it's not powerful as shit. Druids and Rangers are the only people who have access to it as well.
>>
>>53920479
Nerd
>>
File: 1459079439813.jpg (78KB, 323x371px) Image search: [Google]
1459079439813.jpg
78KB, 323x371px
>>53919814
>It's another low int meme character

Name me one character archetype that isn't more overdone.
Protip: You can't.
>>
>>53920533

high CHA sexy lady who tries to persuade everyone
>>
>>53920533
But it's not a meme. Volo's Orc has a -2 int.
>>
>>53920479
Technically still dps because combat is a continual simultaneous event ;^)
>>
>>53920533
>Isn't
Probably should have been is but you probably get the point.
>>
>>53920533
Drunken Dwarf
*tips fedora* warlock
>>
>>53920533
Overall or in 5e? Overall it's the most over done.

In 5e Battlemaster Fighter with GWM+PAM and GOO Warlock who's "Ma unspeakable edgy horror" give it a run for it's money.
>>
>>53920435
>ultra mobile stun machine and support
This is the monk class as a whole, to be purely about that you want a subclass that doesn't make you use ki on other stuff so you can focus on flurrying and stunning. Open hand is good because of that, and wot4e is bad because of it. Shadow is nice for getting up to casters and fucking them up, and the spells are quite nice, but everything is quite situational and not likely to be useful every combat. Long death is really tanky, sun soul gives you some ranged capability. I don't think any of them are bad enough to not play outside wot4e, open hand is probably best but by a slim margin.
>>
>>53920552
>a class that literally makes a pact with beis of a higher power
>fedora tipping
Is this true?
>>
Is wot4e that bad? I bet most people never saw one in play
>>
>>53920584
Fedora tipping also refers to edgy contrarians.
>>
>>53920585
In theorycrafting it is bad, just like ranger.
>>
>>53920602
Rangers are good from 2nd to 5th level though
>>
>>53920584
They always try to pull some bullshit like "I outplayed my patron" and "I'm tricking it and going to kill it".

But yeah, the fedorafags love them some Warlocks.

>>53920585
I have, it's bad but not that bad. In a more casual game that isn't a bunch of PAM+GWM Fighters and Wizards saying "ONLY LONG RESTS" they can be pretty fun. Adds some out of combat stuff to the Monk which is alright.

If you know what you're doing as a Monk then you could play one and be a helpful character while still having fun.
>>
>>53920545
>Low int characters
>Not a meme because 'it's an orc!'
And every barbarian player says 'I have low int because I'm a barbarian!' or whatever, too.
And then the fighters say 'I just like to hit things, so I might as well be dumb!'
And then the pretty-much-every-class follows some sort of 'well it's not like I need to be smart' or 'actually dragonborn are hella stupid' or something like that.

I've seen parties where literally every fucking character had 8 intellect.

I just... I just don't know.
>>
>>53920450
>>53920435
Agreed. If you want multiclass utility, sun soul with light cleric is blasty and thematically awesome.
>>
>>53920624
I want to play a high intelligence barbarian now.

Could have been a genius in a university. Chose to roam the lands in a loin cloth instead.
>>
>>53920624
That's just what happens when there's a stat that is all but worthless.
>>
New thread >>53920663
>>
>>53920621
>If you know what you're doing as a Monk then you could play one and be a helpful character while still having fun.
The problem is that in the process you'd barely be using your elemental powers. Flurry and stunning strike are just better uses of ki most of the time. It's got some cool stuff and isn't horribly underpowered but there's not much of a reason to play it over any other archetype.
>>
>>53920435
3 Assassin Rogue, the rest Shadow Monk.
>>
>>53920624
Rolling for stats is the most common way to fix that. Int is a dump stat for 92% of classes or something, I wouldn't say it's a meme at all, it's just being reasonable. Stereotypical and tiring though, yeah.
>>
File: 145345354336354.jpg (93KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
145345354336354.jpg
93KB, 500x500px
>>53917021
>>53914654

pls rate my highly wip OC class, pls
>>
>>53914654
>>53917021
>>53920721
This doesn't seem like a class I'd ever play, and I'm shit at reviewing, but I'll review it I guess.
It seems a bit overpowered at points, specifically because it never doesn't get something. With most classes there are a few levels when they don't get something really cool. That's not true with your homebrew.
>>
>>53920721
Its not bad, I think the focuses are kind of spread out, as in it gets a lot instead of focusing on a few and doing other broad things.
>>
>>53914654
Why is this not just a Paladin subclass...?
>>
>>53921247
>>53921289
>>53921585

Responded to you guys in the new thread, see>>53920672
>>
>>53920352
Because its range is "everything under a fuckoffhuge' radius cloud placed anywhere you can see" and you can cast it while you're a bird.
>>
Asking for help when this thread is about to die, lets see what happens.

I'm DMing a DnD game tomorrow with very little experience in Dming and table top games for 3-5 people. Anyone have a favorite crash course video/website/piece of advice before I start shopping around? I'd be mighty thankful
Thread posts: 413
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.