[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Malifaux General. Forgetting schemes edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 43

File: Malifaux Barrows.jpg (132KB, 907x530px) Image search: [Google]
Malifaux Barrows.jpg
132KB, 907x530px
>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 30mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
Books;
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw
https://mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Statcards by Faction:
https://mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4- New Wave 4 Models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

Current Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Discord for Shitposting and other Wyrd related things.
https://discord.gg/p8sevqe

Previous thread >>53788710
>>
>>53862126

Having had a good look at the suggestions I've received, I'm likely to go Zoraida, Brewmaster or Lucius. Anyone got any advice as to which is the easiest to play for a Malifaux noob?
>>
>>53863536
Malifaux Tier list from most fun to least run to play masters?
>>
>>53864629
Definitely not fun
Hamelin and Brewmaster

it's just uncounterable shit stacking where the stacker doesn't feel like they are jumping over hoops to get stuff done while the opponent feels miserable as countering the stack is either too hard to do, or not worth your time and you slowly grind to death.
>>
imma looking for starter scenario pdf from starter set, anyone?
>>
>>53865365
those are just tutorials, don't bother and actually learn the game
>>
File: McMourning Dissection Lecture.jpg (61KB, 600x670px) Image search: [Google]
McMourning Dissection Lecture.jpg
61KB, 600x670px
>>53863536
Thanks for the Reactivate OP.

>>53859240
Do you have more pics of that Kirai?
It's a great job.
I'm a sucker for properly painted patterend silks.
>>53863670

To Squad Tactics Anon - Brewmaster might be a good look for you.
He's absolutely all about spoiling plans, and he's not terribly offensive himself.

>>53865365
Seconded that they aren't worth the time. There's no "scenario" as such, it's just 2-4 models and an explanation of when which rules apply.

Repeating another Anon's question from last thread:
>>53860719
>How do you play against Reva again? Is there a simple answer or do I just get good?
>>
>>53866108
And yet >>53864665 says that Brewmaster is not fun to play against- I don't want my opponent to be locked out of a game, I just want him/her to have shit go sideways at the wrong moment on the reg.

I have nightmarishly bad luck with dice-based games (to the point where my long-term 40k/Mordheim/Necromunda buddies quarantined any dice I touched). So I'd like to see someone else having the bad of the luck for a change.
>>
File: Brewmaster Orange.jpg (1015KB, 2448x2972px) Image search: [Google]
Brewmaster Orange.jpg
1015KB, 2448x2972px
>>53866201
I think Brewie can be un-fun, but if you play him to efficiently lock out two models, rather than blanket fuck their whole crew, you disrupt their plans without rendering them totally impotent.

I had a game against Brewie a while back where, since the game was already effectively decided, the guy pretty much said "Watch this" and shut down my entire crew for the whole of Turn 5 with Brewie and Wesley.
It was annoying, and a bit funny, but he'd previously been focusing on neutering key models rather than inconveniencing everything, which I think is a better way of playing him.

Also, it's funny how B is probably the most talked about here, least played Master in the game.
>>
>>53866254
Good to know. Which is the more fun- Brewie or Zoraida?
>>
>>53866201
If you really want to monkey wrench people, I'm going to recommend Jack Daw.

His whole schtick is nickel and dime denial. Lots of little pushes and soft disruption that your opponent can ignore for just a few cards, which all add up to leaving them just shy of the resources they needed to accomplish their objectives. If you want your opponent to let important flips come down to luck because they're out of cards or end the turn with a model one or two inches away from scoring, Daw is your guy.

Plus if you ever want to graduate to playing full on fun police you've got Hamelin in the same faction, or you can look at Parker, Schill, or the Viks if you want a more traditionally fighty master in your pool too.
>>
Is there some wiki for fluff? Something like lexicanum for wh. I know about 1d4chan, but maybe there is something else.
Or just fluff in "distilled" form? Not in the form of a novel.
>>
File: Wokou_Raider.png (371KB, 555x479px) Image search: [Google]
Wokou_Raider.png
371KB, 555x479px
>>53866953
That's a good question actually...
I think that besides the intro bits, most of the fluff pieces focus on a small hanful of characters, there aren't many big meta-coverage bits of writing.
I'd be interested if someone does find something though.

Also:
Free RPG day loot!

Anyone get anything fun?

My store had two red transparent Witchling Stalkers and a DayGlo pink Malifaux Child, plus the Penny Dreadful.
I didn't get any, I was already inescapably booked when I found out about it. Feels bad man.

Vaguely related:
I don't understand the DayGlo pink.
Green, yes, orange less so but still fine.
Pink, there's basically never a reason to part-paint it like there is with every other flavour of their coloured plastics, so you either leave it totally bare, or paint all the way over it anyway.
>>
Goodbye
>>
>>53866582

That's some interesting advice.
I did look at Jack Daw for a bit but there was something that just seemed missing.

I was looking for something that lets me screw up some (not all) enemy efforts at the last minute without breaking a sweat or inciting the player to violence.

I've heard Hamelin is unbalanced, so I'd rather not play him, plus the background leaves me cold.

But on the other hand, I'm interested in Zoraida, and a lot of what I've read tells me she's a pain too.

I've messaged the local games club (I'm new in town) to see who plays Malifaux locally. Hopefully there's a half-dozen or so.
>>
>>53867110
If not Jack, Brewmaster would be your best bets. Brewmaster is about as fun to play against as you make him. You can choose to drain their hand for 5 cards a turn making them rely on luck, give 2-4 models one or more -'s to make it nearly impossible to succeed on anything with those key models, or in general just tie some of them up near you as they keep have to cheat in higher and higher to be able to do anything. How wide a blanket of denial you want to throw up is up to you. That's sort of the issue with all denial masters though, they're all various stages of annoying to play against because in general, people like following their plans as they appeared in their head.

Also, Hamelin isn't particularly unbalanced. Just a bit dull to play against.
>>
>>53867644
Brewmaster it is then. Thanks for the input!
>>
Fluff Q: is McMourning not getting caught for his Resser activities plausible or is it just silly now that he keeps getting away with things?
>>
File: Arcane_effify_3.jpg (444KB, 800x740px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane_effify_3.jpg
444KB, 800x740px
>>53868111
People know, but Lucius and others are protecting him for Reasons.

>>53867644
>That's the issue with denial masters, people like following their plans as they appeared in their head.
This is a very good summary of why .most. denial Masters are irritating but not to the point you don't enjoy the game.
>>
>>53868111
It's a mix of Sebastian being covering his tracks and Lucius deliberately looking the other way.
>>
>>53867644
I'd definitely argue that Hamlin is unbalanced.

Because of so many free activations, basically the entire crew gets to act without you having a chance to react. Iirc, you can get 8 activations out of 4 points worth of models. You either have enough pulses and blasts to deal with the swarm or you don't.

The main reason he's unfun to play again it's that his turn will take twice as long as yours, and with the stairs amounts of activations, half of it is just watching someone else play a game.
>>
>>53868111

It's decently plausible. It's a setting where you can get away with a fair bit as long as you are not open about it. Cameras are rare, people wouldn't generally listen to accusations about a guild employee being a necromancer etc.
>>
On that topic, I like how Necromancy is an insidious, active force. You don't have to be an evil person who deliberately sets out to raise the dead, you can be a child who unfortunately starts to hear the whispers.
>>
File: katanaka snipers 01.jpg (445KB, 900x670px) Image search: [Google]
katanaka snipers 01.jpg
445KB, 900x670px
>>53868478
>I'd definitely argue that Hamlin is unbalanced.
I fully agree with all your points, for the same reasons - silly combos that should require costly set-up, he can pull off without interference.
Meanwhile, he generally maintains his own ability to interrupt yours since he can choose to activate more relevant models.
The one thing you forgot is the Hollow Upgrade, which switches off the blasts you needs to clear Rats.
The game is not balanced around that sort of control.

Aside from that, it's usually a visually lame crew.

Are there good ways to deal with him?
Assuming everyone is playing properly and you don't know he's coming, how do you deal?

I have tried chucking big-base, long-reach models at his front line to use the Rats to jam him up as well as me, but that just means I burn all my cards keeping that jammer alive for at most two turns, while the tide slowly laps around them.
An expensive, only somewhat effective play.

There is functionally no way of killing your way ahead of the activation control unless you have two or more Snipers and a better hand than Hamelin - the Rat-cycling lynchpins are too easy to hide, and even with LoS and Range, easy to avoid catching Moderate/Severes.
Even mathematically, in the ideal, it's a brutal struggle to pop the key models before they activate, or in one activation, and then they Sacrifice anyway and render all teh work irrelevant.
>>
>>53868889
Relatively unrelated to Malifaux, but im currently working on an Ogre necromancer NPC who, while certainly ruthless, is a comparatively "helpful" denizen of the setting (most things just try to kill you, Australia stereotype style).

Do you think there's a place for necromancy simply as a means to an end?
>>
>>53868918

There's certainly room for Necromancy other than "live and serve, or die and serve" style. One pseudo-example is Sylvania under Vlad's rule in Warhammer Fantasy Battle, human and undead militia protecting the borders and whatnot.
>>
>>53868904

desu I like his crew's aesthetic but I'd like to see it expanded. Get some bugs in there, don't stop at the Winged Plague.
>>
>>53868985

To Be Honest's acronym gets autocorrected to desu? The more you know.
>>
>>53868889
I like that part of the setting too. You don't need a reason for necromancers to be a constant threat. No one's teaching then underground, they just show up randomly sometimes.

I really enjoyed the Resurrectionist's Ball story.
>>53868904
>Hollow Upgrade,
It's just blasts right?
Pulse damage from punk zombies and stuff like pull my finger might work.

Hamlin's not unbeatable, it's just like you're suddenly playing a different game.

I've always wanted to play Nico against him, and just smash walls of zombies and rats together. As much as I love playing Gremlins, ressers is like a siren's call
>>
>>53863536
So we talked about what matters are the last fun to play, and play against.

What masters are the most fun to play against?
>>
File: Hamelin Crew 1.jpg (314KB, 1500x994px) Image search: [Google]
Hamelin Crew 1.jpg
314KB, 1500x994px
>>53868985
>Get some bugs in there, don't stop at the Winged Plague.
That could actually be a decent idea, yeah.
There's a surprising lack of insectile monsters in Malifaux...

>>53869260
>Hollow Upgrade is just Blasts
Nope - Friendly models within Aura 5" immune to Damage from Pulse, Aura and Blasts.
And he's a Ht2 dog, so they get that full Aura.
It's actually slightly more bullshit than I'd thought.
At least it's a (0) action, so Hamelin needs him to activate early-ish in the turn to put it up.

It does let him hire Hounds out of faction though, which probably has bullshit potential.
>>
File: LilithGroupW1.jpg (110KB, 1000x450px) Image search: [Google]
LilithGroupW1.jpg
110KB, 1000x450px
>>53869590
I'd say probably some of the less powerful beaters, and the less irritating supports.

I like playing Hoffman because his crews are so weird and the games are so swingy.
Lilith and Titania because the board can change in weird unexpected ways int he space of two or three activations.
Mei Feng is fun for the pant-shitting activation where she slams into the crew, and it's five or ten minutes of high-stakes decision making about what you let someone take the hit, and how you balance her AP-repetition versus your own hand use for C-c-c-c-combo Breakers.
>>
>>53872565
>Nope - Friendly models within Aura 5" immune to Damage from Pulse, Aura and Blasts.
Damn, that is Rough. Hamlin's worse than I thought.
>>
>>53872766
I kind of like playing against Gremlins. Everything is zany and squishy. And they do half the damage to themselves.

But you've got to put stuff down before it explodes or heals back up
>>
>>53866974
I got translucent Bete Noire and a translucent Mindless Zombie. They only had Ressurectionist models for some reason. I also picked up VAM, which as a hardcover book was a surprisingly nice grab for Free RPG day. I could not bring myself to give a shit about Earthly Desires.

I agree with you when it comes to the DayGlo models. Even then you can just get fluorescent paint, mix in DayGlo powder, and you can go without having to use the DayGlo plastics.
>>
>>53868995
Hownew.ru
>>
>>53866974
>>53873050
Neat. I hadn't heard of it too today.
>>
Are Oxfordian Mages still considered bad these days? When I look at them they look like they offer a lot of accurate ranged attacks and control but I see/hear a lot of negativity about them online.
>>
>>53874827
Their 0 SS upgrade that they got in Ripples of Fate makes them a really good choice. I always bring them with Sandeep.
>>
>>53874827

With their free upgrades and Sandeep existing they've found new life. Still an awkward module to run, they're not for every game.
>>
What exactly IS Jack Daw, do we know? It seems he was part of some ritual to shut the breach the first time? But now he's paralleling the Burning Man.
>>
>>53874827
I still don't see how the Mages are so terrible that they deserve multiple patches while the Monks of High River get fuck all. I'd get a prepatch Mage over a Monk in a heartbeat.
>>
>>53874935
He is the dude that Zoraida used to close the breach the first time around. He got a ton of magic injected into him, hence his insane ghost running around and driving other people crazy. The burning man was also a patsy used by Zoraida, only this time to close the hole in the aether left by the event. He got even more magic injected into him, and as a result he is even crazier and capable to spreading craziness than Jack Daw.
>>
>>53875636

Sorry, I don't quite understand. What is it that Zoraida got out of the Burning Man? She sealed a hole made by a breach? the Governor's ritual?
>>
>>53875827
The Event opened a big hole in the aether which all the masters used to get their avatar forms. Zoraida decided to close it with the governor so the Tyrants couldn't use it to ascend.
>>
File: Oxfordian Mages.jpg (35KB, 706x430px) Image search: [Google]
Oxfordian Mages.jpg
35KB, 706x430px
>>53875490
>Monks of High River
>inB4 fifty post argument

>>53874827
I've only started using them recently, because I only recently found proxies I like - hate the cartoon fireballs.
They are good, but need both a decent firing lane (which necessarily must be pretty wide) through both terrain and crew, and also need a strat or other set-up which herds the opponent into said lane, otherwise they just end up shooting into cover all game and achieving little.

When they work though, they lay out really solid damage, and can be used to rocket models across the board for a measley 1 Damage (with Armour) - using three mages, two shots (one normal, one with the +B) can shove a model 10-14" up the board.
I tried to Joss bomb Titania with it, which is how I know the positioning can work really well.
Turns out that so can Titania's, but that's a different story.
>>
>>53875888

Ah, thanks
>>
>>53876021

That's what I've seen. Its 15ss that probably won't die, but often doesn't do that much in return.
>>
>>53876021
What are your proxies?
>>
File: HFH110 Dynamic Lenore composite.jpg (667KB, 800x812px) Image search: [Google]
HFH110 Dynamic Lenore composite.jpg
667KB, 800x812px
>>53876108

They can hand out Slow - with Furious Casting, you can force Slow onto most models whether the opponent wants to let you or not, or eat their whole hand/cache.

In Extraction, Guard the Stash, sometimes in Interference, the pushes are great - and that goes bothways.
no-one expects the Mage to steal a table quarter, but then they shove two models across teh line and you nail the point.

They ignore Armour, which is solid against other Arcanists, Hoffman and a couple of others.

They can hand out Burning, which is great for Frame, and synergies.

Aaaand with Colette, she can give the +flips to Ca, meaning they can Furious Cast into cover without penalites, or even better hit with all three of their shots.

2/3/4 isn't exciting, but 6/9/12 on a target with Burning+1, Slow, and six inches back up the field is pretty good.

Pic related is one of my proxies.
Saw a guy on here using them, and Hasslefree are pretty good.
>>
Gotta say, Zipp looks like a fun crew but assembling Iron Skeeters looks heartbreaking.
>>
>>53876611
>Proxy
Can you post a picture of yours? I want to see how people paint them.
>>
". What you will run into more often in Ressers is what I call the Paradox of Hand utility. Essentially you will often find that when you play ressers it is often harder to land your offensive abilities than when you play other factions. The situation, at least as I have experienced it, is that your defenses are often so terrible, it often isn't worth it to cheat your defense up, as you are still going to get hit. The problem is if you don't cheat your defenses up, then you aren't draining your opponent's better cards from their hands, leaving them free to use them to offset your attacks. So learning when and how to drain good cards from your opponent's hand, even knowing your model is still ultimately going to be hit anyway, is one of the harder skills to learn when playing Ressers. Otherwise it can often feel like you opponent is hitting model after model after model, and you only hit occasionally."

What do you guys think about this quote?
>>
I played my first game today, it was a small game we played with henchmen rather then masters and 25ss but i'll admit it was a ton of fun! I love me some Huggy already!
>>
Randomly: any thoughts on Tara's new toy in the Wave 5 beta?
>>
Remember Barrows is a fucking manlet. His wanted poster says he's 5' 11"
>>
>>53864665
They're just unconventional masters, they aren't unbeatable.

Brewmaster = stay the fuck away from his bubble or push him away.

Hamelin = Kill the fucking rats before they turn in to rat kings, not rocket science.
>>
>>53877254
I don't know about them, but I just put the normal skeeters together and they're a pain.
>>53881089
>, they aren't unbeatable
Unfun ≠ unbeatable
>>
>>53880628
They are adding so many manlets to this game. Just look at the new masters. Zipp is like 5'6", and Parker is about is bad. The alt Joss is especially egregious. You can see why you can't hire him and regular Joss in the same crew, because it would erode Alexi's self confidence.
>>
>>53881151
>>
File: 1497058628508.jpg (64KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497058628508.jpg
64KB, 480x480px
>tfw you play Hamelin, Brewmaster, Kirai and Reva because you like to crush dreams.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_225636.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_225636.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>53881208
That actually looks easier than the skeeters I just did.
>>
What do So'mer lists tend to look like nowadays? Lenny got nerfed, right?
>>
>>53881089
I never said that they aren't unbeatable.

please read properly
>>
>>53881531
Still the same. Lenny just means that Somer himself doesn't get the Ram buff, it's still awesome as fuck for every other gremlins.
>>
>>53881944

Ah, so that's why Ophelia has shriveled up and died then.
>>
>>53881531
>Lenny got nerfed, right?
Just bought the Somer box. Nerfed how?
>>
>>53882377
He doesn't add rams to the duel totals of models nearby anymore.
>>
>>53882419
Don't fucking lie you worthless piece of fucking shit.
>>53882377
He doesn't add Auto ram results to leader models anymore.
>>
>>53882419
Damn. That's a pretty huge nerf.

I could see changing it to non-master Gremlins, or even changing it to minions only. But dumping it completely seems harsh.
>>
>>53882462
Ah. That seems more sensible. Somer having a 4/4b/8bb all the time sort of showed up other ranged masters. Seamus's flintlock especially.

I guess Somer can still do that but, it takes a couple cards at least.
>>
>>53881955
Shriveled more anyways. She sort of always suffered from being a less versatile version of So'mer.
>>
>>53882546
Maybe Somer is just too good.

Seriously, is there anything he can't do? He fucks with hands, he operates with bayou two card easily, he summons.
>>
>>53882579
Yeah. He's pretty much a boss. He summons, does crew support, can read someone's hand and is a beater to top it all off. With loudest squeal he's even got built in sneaky movement shenanigans.

He definitely deserves the biggest hat in the bayou.

I'm glad I got the metal model though, the plastic one is terrible.
>>
>>53882616
I hope you mean the blunderbuss shooting one. because the original sculpt is pure ass.
>>
>>53882672
Naw. I definitely prefer the original. The blunderbuss it's okay. The ridiculous ice skating Somer is bad.

Come to think of it, I think I've got some snow flock. I might have to model him skating on ice.
>>
File: Blanchette.jpg (697KB, 800x867px) Image search: [Google]
Blanchette.jpg
697KB, 800x867px
>>53877419
I don't have a camera at the moment, sorry.

There are three poses of that model, so one of each.

It's two pretty basic schemes:
Bestial Brown cloak and Tentacle Pink dress, gloss black boots and gloves, Balthasar Gold metals, Elf Flesh skin, white hair.
Washed all over with Seraphim Sepia and re-lighted.

The other one is Sotek Green and a GW nearly-Navy Blue, gloss black leathers again, Skull White skin, washed all over with blue.
That one doubles as a Silent One when I need it, hence the blues.

Pic Related is a Lilith standby, for if/when I get my tiny Neverborn contingent playable.
Again, mine's painted similarly.

Match: Saxophone. It's a trombone. Fucking Captcha.
>>
File: Ressurectionists.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ressurectionists.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>53878544
That's why everything has H2W and or H2K and/or a billion fucking Wds.
You drain the opponent's hand by tempting them to push up from ---flip to -flip, because otherwise they are almost guaranteed nothing but chip damage for the full three turns of combat.
The low Moderates are for occasionally bumping over their low successes.
And you save the Severes and high Moderates for landing attacks you need to land, or summons.

They aren't an offensive faction, they are an area-control one.

I say this as someone who plays against them though - the one saving grace of Joss, the slow-ass chunk of ass, is that he will output 6 Damage every turn, which is usually two or four points more than the rest of the crew against Ressurs.
>>
File: Gremlins OP.jpg (43KB, 800x484px) Image search: [Google]
Gremlins OP.jpg
43KB, 800x484px
>>53881089
It's not rocket science, but it's not easy or a particularly useful trade if you haven't taken a very long threat range damage dealer, unless your opponent is trash.

>>53882579
>>53882616
>>53881955
>>53882377
They need to stop trying to side-fix Somer and just sort out his card.

He is shootier than Ophelia and one of the best summoners and among the best card-drawers in the game.
You can't keep balancing the faction around Somer, because then he's the only relevant Master.

>>53882473
It is non-Master, the other guy is full of shit.
>>
File: Scheme Marker Token Set.jpg (71KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Scheme Marker Token Set.jpg
71KB, 600x600px
Do you use custom scheme markers, bases with something on them (items, weapon, etc) or just empty bases?
>>
>>53886658
I mostly use empty bases. I think I'm going to do custom corpse markers using headstones.

The problem, is since most markers are height 0, there's not a lot you can put on them and still have other models for on top.
>>53883146
Somer's summoning I'm that great. It's not very resource intensive, which is the best you can say for it. I pretty much never summon past turn one, because I've got better things to do with master Ap.

His shooting probably should be toned down though. Maybe replace thinking luck with something like the slug trigger on shot guns or downgraded to normal dumb luck.
>>
Wow, just read up on So'mer. He really does it all, doesn't he?
>>
>>53886658
I just use plastic circles with faction logos etched on them. I can't really put anything substantial on top of the marker as models need to be able to stand on top of it.
>>
Any insight into why Ressers apparently have less tourney representation than other factions? Is it as simple as "it's a summoning faction, you have to buy a lotta shit"?
>>
Advice on how to expand a Dreamer crew? I'm thinking Stitched Together, Insidious Madnesses, Doppelganger, and Widow Weaver are immediate buys. Teddy, Lelu, and Lilitu are maybes. I absolutely adore the fluff and rules of the Bandersnatch but I've never heard anyone talk about its actual effectiveness.
>>
>>53889513
I think it's mostly that. All of their masters are pretty solid.

It might also have to do with multi master point pool tournaments being harder in them, because a lot of the matters want themed crews.
>>
Getting into Ressers, putting together a strategy for purchasing, painting, and playing.

Phase 1: Seamus + McMourning boxes (Faction staples in crews, straightforward Masters)

Phase 2: Nicodem + Molly boxes (More staples, getting into Summoner playstyle)

Phase 3: Kirai + Yan Lo boxes (More personalized crews, getting into Spirit theme)

Phase 4: Reva + Tara boxes (Very personalized crews, Reva is real strong, Tara is the odd one out)

High Priority/Interest:
Archie
Datsue Ba
Toshiro
University of Transmortis box
Carrion Emissary
Izamu the Armor
Rafkin
Yin the Penangalan
Dead Doxies
The Drowned
Goryo
Guild Autopsies
The Hanged
Necropunk
Night Terrors
Shikome
Mindless Zombie

Lower Priority/Interest:
Anna Lovelace
Graveyard Spirit
Bete Noire
Forgotten Marshal
Hayreddin
Rogue Necromancy
Carrion Effigy
Dragur
Gaki

Not Interested:
Dead Rider
Jaakuna Ubume
Sloth
Crooked Men

Any thoughts to contribute?
>>
>>53892837
Seems pretty ambitious.

I might pick a single master and try them out first, picking up more stuff to add to thier crew until you've got enough overlap to segue into another crew/master.

Grabbing some of the book one boxes is a good idea, since they have the most overlap.
>>
>>53883046
where can i get similar buildings?
>>
>>53894565
Not him, but check out black Maria and bad mojo.
>>
>>53894565
That building is from 4ground
>>
>>53892837
Phase 1: Seamus + McM + Necropunks
Phase 2: Nico + Molly + Mindless Zombies + Drowned
Phase 3: Kirai + Yan Lo + Datsue Ba + Izamu
Phase 4: Reva + Tara + Yin + Toshiro

Additional Summons (highest priority if you're mostly playing Nico/Kirai/Molly)
Shikome, Goryo, Night Terrors
University of Transmortis, Guild Autopsies

High Priority (after the Emissary, order depends on your favorite masters)
The Hanged
Carrion Emissary
Dead Doxies
Archie
Rafkin
Scion of the Void
Death Marshals

Necropunks are basically a faction staple, and some masters really just ought to have certain boxes. You're just not going to play Nico without Mindless Zombies or Yan Lo with zero ancestors.
>>
File: Freikorps specialists.jpg (169KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Freikorps specialists.jpg
169KB, 1440x810px
>>53886658
I have themed bases for my two main crews - theatre stage boards for Showgirls and coal for the construct-y ones.

>>53886780
>Somer's summoning isn't that great.
No, it itself isn't incredible, but the fact that it is so cheap, the summons can be healed so easily, and he switches so goddamn well into a damage-dealer, is just a pain in the arse.
Basically >>53888745
>Wow, just read up on So'mer. He really does it all, doesn't he?

>>53889513
Maybe also there's traditionally been a slightly snotty attitude about running out of time to finish a game at tournaments - an undercurrent of "if you can't play a summoner fast enough to finish Turn 5 in 120 minutes every time, don't".
At least in the UK.
>>
File: Reva.png (2MB, 717x1722px) Image search: [Google]
Reva.png
2MB, 717x1722px
>>53894565
4ground are good, PlastCraft are decent (if a little pricey).

>>53892837
>>53897686
As the other guy said, it seems a little balls-deep for the sake of it.

You're not going to get most of that on the table for a year, and even then unless you are playing daily you won't learn to use most of it properly.

What do you play at the moment?
Is there a more natural transition you could do, like 10T to Yan Lo/Kirai?
>>
>>53893422
>>53897686
>>53898089

Thanks for the responses. Since it seems I've given the wrong impression, I'm not buying all of it in rapid succession. I was just trying to put together a gameplan; i.e., I'll start by playing Seamus and/or McMourning for awhile and expand their hires.
>>
File: Torakage.jpg (51KB, 1200x603px) Image search: [Google]
Torakage.jpg
51KB, 1200x603px
>>53892837
>Not Interested: Jaakuna Ubume

She's really decent with Kirai into holding points strats when you have healing in the crew - the big aura and damage output is a pain in the dick.

Especially on Guard the Stash, if you can get her in position to Lure people off a marker, or force them to stand in her aura, she does owrk.
>>
File: McMourning Red Crew.jpg (144KB, 1200x668px) Image search: [Google]
McMourning Red Crew.jpg
144KB, 1200x668px
>>53898199
Ah, well in that case I'd not bother really trying to plan in that way.
Play your two main crews, cover the gaps in capabilities, and expand into models you liek the look of.

But I can understand the appeal of theory-crafting your progression in the mean time.
>>
The Emissaries didn't get Wave 4 Master-specific upgrades, right? Any indication they're coming? Not that they really need the buff.
>>
>>53898857
Nope. They aren't getting upgrades in Wave 5 either. At least, that is what I have been told by people doing the playtests. It compensates for the general powerlevel of the Wave 4 masters I suppose.
>>
File: Sandeep Desai.jpg (123KB, 792x594px) Image search: [Google]
Sandeep Desai.jpg
123KB, 792x594px
>>53898857
No, none Wave 4, noneexpectedWave 5, as far as I know.
Giving them more time to settle, as they are mostly pretty strong.
>>
>>53899345
Balls, even Asami? She could've really used something to get her a bit more up there with other masters.
>>
>>53897686
This is a solid plan in 2017 now that most things are released.

If you find yourself playing McMourning a lot, make sure you have 3 flesh constructs total, as soon as possible.

When you are getting Kirai, get Hanged and Shikome ASAP, they are her big beaters that get the most work done.
>>
What do people tend to take with Reva? I know she's new but I never hear anything about her besides her personal output and that Corpse Candles are too easy to summon.
>>
>>53899535
She is getting buffed with a new upgrade, but no new Oni and no conflux upgrade. I always found it kind of sad that while all the other wave 4 masters got a 4 stone cache, she is stuck with 3, when she arguably needs them the most to function.
>>
>>53900339

Why three, specifically? I understand how he generates them, but it seems like there's a story to this advice.
>>
>>53900419
You generally want the emissary to make more corpse markers, and tarpit dudes with mindless zombies. Scheme runners like necropunks are a good idea as well. Phillip can be there for card cycling. Yin is a pretty common choice because she can debuff WP which makes hitting models easier for Reva. Shieldbearers of course aren't bad, especially with their dismember trigger and the fact that they drop corpse markers themselves partway through their lifespan.
>>
>>53900472
Hire the first one, it has poison on it to allow Seb to transfer it to an enemy. Then expunge that enemy with McMourning to summon a 2nd construct. There's a good chance you're going to summon another Flesh construct on turn 2 or 3.

3 flesh constructs is the sweet spot I find. Any less and you'll find yourself wanting more and it's rare to have 4 on the table at once, though no unlikely.
>>
>>53900874

Fair enough. Is it worth grabbing a box of Canine Remains, for his other summoning trigger?
>>
>>53900895
It's great to have them for when roadkill scholar comes up. I personally tend to forget about it though and rarely set up kill with poison for it.

If you're an avid McMourning player you will want these to get the most out of Moonlighting, but if you only play him occasionally I'd pass on them unless you really want them.

I've found the single canine remains that comes in his set to be enough, even though I have 4 of them.
>>
>>53901015

Interesting, I'll have to see for myself then. I figure I'll be doing Moonlighting + Plastic Surgery for the most part, but do you rate any of the other upgrades in particular? Do you bother with Spare Parts in his lists?
>>
>>53901213
I just use Moonlighting and Plastic Surgery, I used to use evidence tampering but it's not so great in GG2017 currently.
>>
>>53901213
Outside of expunge I don't put a lot of focus on poison as a damaging condition. My crew revolves around applying poison so my shikome + Rafkin can charge enemies for (1), meanwhile McMourning is picking off weaker targets and turning them in to Flesh constructs.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.png (325KB, 389x900px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.png
325KB, 389x900px
Pure darkened Lynch crew. Yay or nay?
>>
>>53902190

You're giving up some options but it ought to run pretty well.
>>
>>53902190
Yay. Fun over competitiveness.

The models are pretty fun to.
>>
File: Bishop Lobo.jpg (67KB, 780x960px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop Lobo.jpg
67KB, 780x960px
>>53902190
Of course yay - it's always time to go full thematic.

The fact thatLynch's thematic crew has loads of kill, toughness and a lot of control is a big bonus, of course.
>>
Dumb question from someone getting into the game, other than the books,models and a fate deck, what should one buy to be properly set to play malifaux?
>>
File: Horror-Tokens.jpg (81KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Horror-Tokens.jpg
81KB, 600x450px
>>53903086
You don't really need books to play, in my opinion. Just download one. Model's rules are on cards anyway.

I'd add "counters or tokens". Something to mark different statuses or conditions of models. You can buy one of the numerous malifaux token sets like pic related (in which case scheme markers will be included), use one from different game (like warmachine tokens), make something yourself. Or just write on the sleeves with an erasable marker.

Also up to 5 empty 30mm bases for scheme markers. And maybe 1 - 2 bigger empty bases if your models place them on the table (like Rasputina's Pillars).
>>
>>53903086
30mm bases/markers to use as scheme markers.

Tape measure.

2 50mm bases to use as stash markers/blast markers.
>>
>>53903233
>>53903247
Thanks, know I have some old bases somewhere I can write on so will probably use those and also get a token set for simplicity's sake.
>>
>>53903361
You don't really need to write on bases, actually. Just bases is enough - in fact, many people use empty bases as scheme markers.

And dices for stackable condition. Some even use different colors for this (like, green dice for poison, red for burning, etc).

There are no standards - you just have to be prepared to mark this things. However you like.
>>
>>53903428
Gotcha, and another dumb question, is there a meta as too "You should play/try these factions or masters, but avoid these ones." or is it more because there a so many playstyles available you should just play to your personal strengths?
>>
>>53903538
It's a tricky question. I'd say "play whatever you like", but I'm not playing with you, right? Meta like this is a very local thing, I can image that in some communities some masters or play-styles may be shunned or just viewed as unfavorable. This you wouldn't know until you'll get to know your community.

As you can see from these threads, some masters, like Hamelin, can be viewed as slightly less fun to play against. Not more strong, just "too denying". But ofc it still depends on how you use them, and, keeping in mind that you're a new player, some time will pass until you'll be able to use their full potential . And overall, I think you really can play whatever you like.
>>
>>53903538
Nothing so much like that, but there are definitely masters that new players should probably stay away from because they are either difficult to learn or not straightforward.

As a new player I wouldn't pick up Hamelin, Brewmaster, Kirai, Nicodem, Dreamer or Shenlong, just because they have a steep learning curve or require a heavy investment. But if one of these masters really speak to you get them, but know that it will be a harder start.

Most other masters are fair game and easy to start with.
>>
>>53903643
>>53903649
Thanks, as far as my local stuff most frequent players I know run at least one arcanist then another faction, mostly neverborns around here. Personally i'm a fan of the ressers aesthetic,which of them would you say is newb friendly?
>>
>>53903900
For a new Resser player I would recommend Seamus, McMourning or Reva.

The others are either summoners or require a little extra work, but are easy enough to branch in to after playing one of the other aforementioned masters. As a side note, Nicodem and Kirai are 2 of the most monetarily expensive masters to play.
>>
File: reva.jpg (1MB, 1896x2368px) Image search: [Google]
reva.jpg
1MB, 1896x2368px
>>53903900
I'm not playing Rresurrs, so take it with a grain of salt. I will not write "imo" every time - just keep in mind, that I meant it.

There are two things to consider - difficulty to master, and number of necessary purchases.
Seamus, McMourning and Reva, aka "damage dealers", are easier to work with. They are more straightforward. Seamus and McM boxes also includes models, useful for other R. masters. Reva's box isn't bad, but not every master will use its content.
Yen Lo is slightly (only slightly) more complex, but he isn't a "pure summoner", like many other masters, so he is ok to start with.
Molly, Nicodem and Kirai slightly more complex and requires a lot of additional purchases. Especially Kirai, since you can't make even small crew with her box. But if you want to start with a summoner - go for it. You'd use models purchased for Nicodem with other masters anyway.
Tara isn't a summoner, but her playstyle is rather complex. And her box consists of Outcast models, only she would use. I wouldn't take her as my starting master.

In terms of budget, "Seamus + McM" (like in >>53897686 ) is probably an optimal start. You get two masters, that works with models from each others boxes. Additionally, you can buy Necropunks for scheme running, or Bette Noire for more killing. Both will come useful with other masters in the future, too.
>>
>>53904282
>>53904182
Thanks, looking at Seamus and Mcmourning I like them both looks wise and their tactica is up my alley.Are they any additions I should look for off the bat or are their base boxes good enough to begin?
>>
File: bild30.jpg (56KB, 368x490px) Image search: [Google]
bild30.jpg
56KB, 368x490px
>>53904301
As I said, Bette Noire or Necropunks are good additional purchases. If you don't like this, there are other options - like Hanged, for example.

I'd also recommend purchasing Generalist Upgrade Deck or Resurrectionists Arsenal Deck, since Resurrs General Upgrades are really good.
Generalist Upgrade Deck comes with general upgrades for all factions, so you can split the cost with someone else, or buy your part from someone. Arsenal Deck includes less upgrades and a lot of , unnecessary for you, model cards, but costs less.

Also there is Print-On-Demand service, in case you need only 2-3 upgrade cards and live in the right location (so no big shipping costs):
> https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5162/Wyrd-Miniatures?site=wgv
>>
What Masters works best with Toshiro? I really like the model and want to get a lot of use out of it
>>
>>53904413
Thanks, just a matter now of getting stuff and seeing when people are available to play, fortunately malifaux still has some semblance of life at my local and hasn't gone full warmahordes.
>>
>>53904301

Like >>53904282 said, buying the Seamus and McMourning starter will give you a great start.

Models I would recommend for Seamus are the Hanged, Yin and Dead Doxies.

For McMourning, 1 extra flesh construct to begin with, Rafkin or Shikome for a beater, guild autopsies can't hurt either.

For both - Necropunks.

>>53904445
Yan Lo is the best choice for Toshiro imo, some of the 10T masters like Shenlong can get value out of him too.
>>
>>53904445
Since he is an Ancestor, Yen Lo can return it to play. And Mei Feng can hire porkchop \ emissar (her upgrade) \ emberling - this models will provide Toshiro with a lot of scrap markers for summoning.
>>
>>53904557
>>53904571
Thanks!
>>
>>53904557
Something I see in a lot of ressers lists are the necropunks, are they really good synergy wise or just a decent mode for cost?
>>
File: 1497057642546.png (221KB, 374x376px) Image search: [Google]
1497057642546.png
221KB, 374x376px
>>53905293
They have a 6" (0) leap with the suit inbuilt, hard to kill, a self heal and hard to wound, all for 5ss. One of the best scheme runners in the game.
>>
>>53905293
"just" decent model for cost. Or more precisely - wonderful model for cost.
>>
>>53905329
>>53905373
Gotcha, thanks, looking at them now, actually really great value, money and points cost wise.
>>
>>53905409
Every resser player should own these little bastards.
>>
>>53904445
Nico for stacking buffs on undead minions.
>>
>>53903233
Honestly what everyone does in my local scene to keep track of conditions, is sleeve the stat cards and use a dry erase marker. You really will need several kinds of 30mm and 50mm circles though.
>>
>>53905409
I was less impressed with them. But I started out with Gremlins and have been spoiled.
>>
File: Mei Feng Scrap Construct.jpg (159KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mei Feng Scrap Construct.jpg
159KB, 800x450px
>>53904282
I was just about to say
>That's a damn nice job on that Reva
But then
>holy fucking joint seam.
Irritates me so much when people spend hours turning out a really pretty paintjob, but don't spend the five minutes with GS or even polycement to fill these giant gaps.

Otherwise, sounds like decent Ressur advice being given throughout the thread.

>>53904445
>>53904571
Toshiro is my next pick-up for my Mei - mostly because his model is fucking boss.
Also because
>Rail Workers
>(0) Implacable Assault: +flips Attack & Damage
Toshiro: Daimyo: Minions get +flips Attack.
>Kang: Worker's Champion: Friendlies get +flips Attack & Damage against Undead & Constructs

That crew core wants to blob anyway, so the Rail Workers are getting ++Attack and +Damage, up to +++Atack and ++ Damage against the right target.

Reliable nasty damage output, with a side order of Black Joker location for the turn you want to drop a RT Mei into their crew.
>>
So 10T players, how hard is it not to expand into every other faction? I find it bad enough just looking at the dual-faction Masters in my faction, haha.

Looking at Wyrd's forums it is interesting how wildly different people feel about the faction. Some say 10T has average Masters + the best non-Masters in the game, others will say 10T Masters are much better in their infiltrated factions.
>>
File: Mei Feng Full Rail Crew.jpg (739KB, 1100x700px) Image search: [Google]
Mei Feng Full Rail Crew.jpg
739KB, 1100x700px
>>53911651
Entirely personal taste, to be useless.
I'm moving from Arcanists to 10T though, so who knows really.
>>
>>53911651
It can vary. I would say that especially with more recent tools like the Terracotta Warriors and the 0 upgrade Low River Monks, the masters aren't strictly worse than their second faction equivalents. TT can certainly be good. They have more in the way of generally never taken models than other factions though, so don't expect as much internal balance compared to other factions. Some like the Archers and Fuhatsu aren't necessarily bad, but others like the High River Monks and the Bunraku are skipped for a good reason.
>>
Would it be accurate to say that most Resser Masters want to be pretty bunched up with their crews? You can have scheme runners zip off of course, but it seems there's a lot of 6~8" leashes in the faction. Reva being one of the exceptions.
>>
File: Terracotta Warriors.jpg (65KB, 550x481px) Image search: [Google]
Terracotta Warriors.jpg
65KB, 550x481px
>>53912811
>Archers and Fuhatsu aren't necessarily bad
The 10T Mei episode of Schemes & Stones has an interesting crew build using Fuhatsu with Archers, using Mei to keep them alive and Fuhatsu to keep them awat or dead, while arrows rain from the sky and solid streams of bullets dominate the board.

Unfortunately the episode is pretty dogshit for a "how does the average Me Thunders crew work" overview.

>>53912811
>Terracotta Warriors
I have yet to try them, but they look interesting.
>>
What are the Pros and Cons of Asami? Any crew core advice?
>>
>>53912925
I wouldn't say most. Seamus's jumps all over the board. McMourning can be all over the place to with scalpel slinging and poison pushes.
>>
File: McMourning.jpg (197KB, 1600x1187px) Image search: [Google]
McMourning.jpg
197KB, 1600x1187px
>>53912925
The style I see is more a core shedding summons as it moves, or as they are sent out.

They tend to have bubble-synergy, but it's usually not actually advantageous to play too hard into that.

And obviously the lone rangers of Seamus, Doug and Reva don't play like that.
>>
>>53911651
Most TT masters seem a bit better in TT. Lynch is the only one where I'd even call it a contest and even there I'd go with TT. TT masters are generally not that flashy or even strong, and most of TT's strength comes from the solid models in their faction, as seen with Shen and McCabe who are well at the TT top as force multipliers.

>>53912811
This is so true. TT seems very hit or miss in their units, with really a mountain of misses and very very niche units and a small handful of great models finding their way in just about any crew. It also doesn't help that very few masters need printed synergies like M&SU or Spirits, allowing rough variations of most lists to be utilized by most masters.

>>53913202
I find it hard to trust anything S&S says. It all depends on the guest and some people just have no idea what they're talking about, like Fuhatsu and the Archers. It's a jokey list that I'm sure has netted him a game or two but there's much better options and tactics which they would've discussed had they gotten someone who is actually adept at Mei Feng.
>>
File: Mei Feng.png (106KB, 292x345px) Image search: [Google]
Mei Feng.png
106KB, 292x345px
>>53914462
>S&S
You're right, very hit and miss.

The Arcanist episode for Mei Feng, with Ben Sime from Arcane Reservoir, was really good for proper discussion of the whats and whys of running her in that faction at that point.
Unfortunately I think Sparks adn the Mechanical Porkchop had only just landed, so there's a lot that isn't covered in depth or at all.

She's really fun, I really like playing her,
>>
>>53914462
What TT models are good? They all seem kinda lackluster to me.
>>
>>53915134
Yasunori, TTB, Terracotta Warriors, Izamu, Lone Swordsman, Snipers, Emissary, Yu, LRM, Kang, Yin...
Loads of models that are at least decent by themselves, who then get bumped up with pushes, focus and fast everywhere. Also Recalled Training.
>>
Been struggling a little with Ironsides' crew starter at 35SS, specifically with regards to using the Mages correctly. Does anyone have any advice, or any critique for my planned 50SS list?

Arcanists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Ironsides -- 5 Pool
+Challenge the Crowd [1]
+Frontline Leadership [2]
+Iron Determination [1]

Mouse [4]
Gunsmith [7]
Gunsmith [7]
The Captain [10]
+Imbued Energies [1]
+Patron's Blessing [2]
Union Miner [5]
Union Miner [5]
Union Miner [5]
>>
>>53913337
> Any crew core advice?
Yasunori is the most obvious choice, to get as much as possible from that 1 AP charge. Ways to give fast (Yu, Emissary) to Yasunori also should be considered, I think.
>>
Kind of annoyed at how constraining it feels to have faction-defining minions in crew boxes. It's a waste to buy them separately, so for example why would Seamus and/or McMourning's boxes NOT be among your first ressers purchases? Even if you're more interested in other Masters, it feels like a tax.
>>
>>53920691
You can always not intent to play Seamus or McMourning if it bothers you. What is actually egregious are models that you will want not being sold separately at all, unlike 1st edition.
>>
>>53866953
Its not a condensed list by any means, but breach side broadcast is a good source for some fluff. Its a bunch of short stories they do in the form of an old fashioned radio show. Most of the stories involve either a named character or a type of model somehow. They maybe in the background or something but they generally have some impact on the story.

Be warned though the narrator can only do like two female voices and only one of them is good. Still worth a listen though.
>>
>>53920899

I just started listening recently, and damn. He tries to inject so much life into all the men but his women voices are terrible.
>>
>>53920899
>do voices
Dropped.
>>
>>53921075

His Seamus and McMourning are outstandingly hammy.
>>
>>53921075
This. The podcast just does the stories in the rulebooks anyways, so read those instead. Looking at the fluff blurbs, Through The Breach, and Chronicles stories is a good idea as well.
>>
Just read the Chronicle where Molly kicks Seamus to the curb. Goddamn was that satisfying.
>>
>>53921833
It is in a weird way. They're fictional characters, but it's somehow satisfying to watch a zombie girl leave an abusive relationship.
>>
File: Rail Workers.jpg (162KB, 720x359px) Image search: [Google]
Rail Workers.jpg
162KB, 720x359px
>>53915538
You could take three mages in place of those two Gunsmiths.

Use the Mages as a slow gun-turrent formation up the middle when there are reasonably clear lanes of fire, with the Captain and other mages Pushing people into position to be Furious Casting from turn 2/3 onwards.
The single-attack damage outpur isn't huge, but by using htem to push each other up the board htey will take 1 Wd, get the +flips from Hand Picked Men, and be hitting reliably with most attacks, dishing out pushes and Burning, and most importantly Slow.
I will typically try and get Slow on the first hit, Burning/ignore Armour second hit, and shove then 4-6" away third hit.
Once they get into melee they fare poorly, but they can deny the middle for a surprisingly long time with the pushes, and do a lot of damage in that time.

Also 3 Union Miners seems like a lot - have you looked at Rail Workers?
Try proxying one for a couple of mages, they hit like a train.
Miners go on the flanks to pull models to deal with them Claim Jumping, Rail Workers support the middle with reliable decent damage.
>>
File: Lelu and Lilitu.jpg (144KB, 1600x1015px) Image search: [Google]
Lelu and Lilitu.jpg
144KB, 1600x1015px
>>53920899
>>53920998
>>53921075
>>53921090
Yup, his women are god damned terrible.
But he does a really good job on the rest of it, I think.

>>53921833
Which issue?
I've never bothered to go through all the Chronicles, even though I have them.

Are they generally useful/interesting?
>>
Can't decide on 10T bases. Their masters and models are too different thematically - while Misaki can be made with "water bases", Mei Feng can't - she wants something industrial. Shenlong can work with just sand, but Lynch needs wooden floor or cobble paving. And so on. Basing each master's crew differently isn't a good option too, since I'll mix and match models between crews and too different bases on the same crew is just not right for me.

Can anyone share any thoughts or ideas, please?
>>
>>53923771
Unified bases really add a lot to a crew.

To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with cobblestone. I imagine it's pretty ubiquitous in Malifaux.

Wooden floors look nice to. Depending on how you paint them they can be anything from a dusty saloon to polished dojo.
>>
>>53922540

issue 7. I think the Chronicles are interesting enough. Wyrd puts plenty of effort into them despite being free.
>>
>>53926253
They have them all on their website right?

I liked most of the fluff in the books. I might give them a read some time.
>>
>>53927561

The actual pdfs are hosted on DriveThruRPG, but Wyrd does hotlink for each issue.
>>
>>53923771
>water bases
>Industrial
>Sand
>Wooden floor

So, docks?
>>
>>53927875
That honestly don't like a good plan.

Just add a few base details to tie it all together when they're on the table together.

I did a similar thing with my Gremlins. Some of them are on swamp bases, and others are on docks, over the swamp. Since hieght of the model doesn't really matter, you can do some fun stuff with scenic bases.
>>
>>53928133
>don't
Sounds
Stupid phone
>>
Why does the Lost Love seem like a rare take in Kirai crews?
>>
File: Misaki Blue.jpg (136KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Misaki Blue.jpg
136KB, 1200x1200px
>>53923771
Match by predominant colour.
Wood seems to be the easiest, usually.

Misaki's Blossoms can be on bridges over water, Lynch's on similarly-coloured parquet flooring, Mei's on railway sleepers over coal/metal flooring, Shen on planks or mats with wooden dividers.

>>53928373
I see him every time my two local Ressurs play her, but I guess he's just a little expensive for what he actually offers, or he's the first thing to drop to squeeze in a more expensive model.
>>
>>53928133
I love making bases, but I'm so bad at making ones that REALLY suit models. That docks idea is something I've had for a while, but I've not really got the crews to do it. If I branched away from Arcanists I'd probably go for Gremlins, and do something similar to your swamp idea. Do you have any photos?

>Since height of the model doesn't really matter
brb, getting some 32mm scale Roman columns...
>>
>>53929554
Not on hand. I'll take a few when I get home.
>>
How worth it is Sybelle with Molly? Call Belles is nice but she's so expensive and doesn't do much else if she's dragging Molly around.
>>
File: Molly Crew Small.jpg (57KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
Molly Crew Small.jpg
57KB, 600x435px
>>53932884
How do you run Molly normally?

I'd say she's probably worth it if you have an open slot - her "make insignificant" thing is pretty gr8 against interact schemes, she's silly tough, and 12" placement shenanigans is always gangster.

She looks like she should be increddible in Extraction/Turf War when Accusation/Mark for Death/Dig Their Graves etc. is in the pool - she can render things Insignificant, and also has the Obey and Assassinate available on her whip.

Especially with Mark for Death, because she's tough as fuck, she can go in first and start handing out Insignificant, and even if they manage to Mark her, she won't die for a good while.
>>
How have your games gone this week?
>>
>>53933778

Assembling the crew at the moment (Necrotic Machine, kill me). I was thinking about using a Dead Doxy, since it'd be cheaper to drag Molly around.
>>
>>53934875
Nice table. I've been wanting to pick up the garden of Morr for a while.
>>
Oh, that's neat. I didn't realize Asura Roten was a character straight out of a Penny Dreadful.
>>
>>53936793
A lot of the newer models are. That includes the alternative Joss who was just a pregen before. The opposite is coming true, with more masters and existing characters showing up in TTB.
>>
>>53934875
Lost 10-1, Ironsides vs Lady Justice.
First time I'd played in ages, took scheme marker based schemes over the kill/protect types I usually go for.
Didn't work out...
>>
Got my second game ever, running Lilith with a Swampfiend-focused crew. My opponent was one of my only options at my FLGS, a tryhard who can't dial down from cutthroat competitive. He ran Nicodem and was drowning me in Hanged from like round 2.
>>
>>53913381
Seamus depends, if you're playing him with Sinister reuptation he's going to hav his crew right next to him to take advantage of the -WP debuff.
>>
>>53920691
Wait until you want a crew box just so you have have Trixiebelle or Fingers...
>>
>>53932884
Definitely worth it, if you want to be ballsy you can have her comply Molly to do another summon.

Apart from that she's pretty tough and a moderate beater. If you take MLH on her she can call Molly and another belle up at the same time.
>>
>>53938554

Do you rate the Draugr at all? New Horror summon but I don't see what role they're filling for Molly.
>>
>>53939043
I haven't tried them yet, but to be honest punk zombies are so damn good I probably wont even bother.
>>
>>53939082

Haha, that was about my take on it desu.
>>
Would Som'er, Zipp, and Wong make for a well-rounded pool of Masters?
>>
>>53939551
Those are the three best Gremlin masters, so yeah.
>>
>>53939551
Som'er makes a well rounded pool of Masters.
>>
>>53939758

Zing
>>
Who is this game's equivalent of Feora?
>>
>>53939082
>but to be honest punk zombies are so damn good I probably wont even bother.
Iktf
>Play Nico.
>Have access to all the minions in ressers
>Only ever summon punks, belles and corpse constructs
>>
>>53939777
*Zipp
>>
>>53939815
>Feora
Who?
>>
>>53939114
>>53939851
Yep, I started Molly as spirit, once I bought Nicodem for the Punk zombies there was no going back, horror all day every day. You can't beat HTK on a summon that is coming in with 1-2 wounds most of the time. I summoned drowned if I already have all 3 of my punks on the board.
>>
>>53939863
>>
>>53939902

Sonnia does nothing but set things on fire with giant explosions
>>
>>53939723
I think Brewmaster might beat out Wong.
But yeah.
>>53939758
Pretty much this.
Zipp might have more of a niche than Wong.
>>
>>53939902
>>53939913
Kaeris has a fire schtick too.
>>
How's the Undead vs Construct choice for Leveticus nowadays? Did the change to Metal Gamin and whatnot make an more of a decision?
>>
>>53939982
Not really. You still want to stick with constructs for the scrap markers, so you can make abominations.
>>
>>53939723
>>53939758

Hah. Well then. Suggestions on purchases after Somer's box? Pigapult, Burt, a second Bayou Gremlins box, Piglets & Stuffed Piglets, and Ophelia's box for Francois seem like popular choices.
>>
>>53939958
>>53939913
Do they actually play similarly though? As in speeding everyone up, letting them set things on fire, blocking off parts of the board with fire, and setting anyone who gets too close to her on fire.
>>
>>53940059
That more or less describes Kaeris. Kaeris is a more support/scheming where Sonnia is more of a damage dealer, Sonnia will nuke the other crew.
>>
>>53940154
That is what I wanted to hear. Thanks anon.
>>
>>53940058
I like the ophelia box for Francois and Rami.
Young Lacroix work pretty well as proxy bayou gremlins too.

The pigapult is fun, but Leny does a similar job mobility wise while also providing support.
>>
>>53939996

Ah well. Do people spam Aboms now?
>>
What heavy hitters do people like to take with Hamelin? Rat don't kill things after all. And how are people liking his Wave 5...henchman? Enforcer? Whatever the new guy was.
>>
>>53940401
Last I heard the Killjoy rat bomb is still popular
>>
>>53940431

What was the errata to rats, then? Could've sworn the Killjoy bomb got targeted.
>>
>>53940401

Apparently Desolation Engine, of all things, and Ashes & Dust are popular lately. I don't know the reasoning behind the trend.
>>
>>53940469
Other crews can't hire rats and rants only activate the turn they are summoned with a nihilist leader.

>>53940554
Ashes and Dust goes well with Levi because you can use Levi's zero to move forward and kill ashes and dust, then have 2 extra activations and reform
>>
>>53940469
Malifaux rats summoned in a non-Hamelin crew can't activate on the turn of summoning. It just wasn't right for crews like Levi, the Viks ec. to have activation control.
>>
>>53940589

Oh, I get why with Levi. I'm just not sure why Hamelin specifically.
>>
>>53940589
>>53940595

Ahhh. Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable change.
>>
>>53939941
Noooo brewmaster is garbage. Only reason he's not the worst master is because Mah Tucket exists
>>
>>53940642
With hamelin you can obey ashes and dust or Desolation engine 3 times to do their aoe abilities. 5 or 6 well placed aoe tests drain hands pretty quickly
>>
>>53940677
Brewmaster isn't bad, he's just weird.

Mah Tucket is just painfully bad. I don't know how they fucked up that hard.
>>
>>53940858
No, brewmaster is pretty bad. He requires so much to get his basic level trick going, his crew barring Wesley and maybeeee Fingers don't support him at all. He pours out poison, but have nothing to do with it beyond modifiers.
>>
>>53940902
This. The poison and his theme just don't work. Better than Mah as at least obeys and the debuff are at least useful. He is really a Ten Thunders master.
>>
File: WYR20241-Draugr.jpg (211KB, 1024x966px) Image search: [Google]
WYR20241-Draugr.jpg
211KB, 1024x966px
Are the Draugr really down to two a box now? I remember a third illustration with a beard being shown off. Kind of a shame, but I suppose that you would never need more than two in the first place.
>>
>>53940997

Yeah, just two. A shame they cut the best illustration.
>>
>>53940948
Even there he's scraping the bottom of the barrel. And with Wyrd still desperately trying to make poison a thing with the Tanuki I am worried for his personal upgrade this wave.
>>
>>53941012
It might get released as a limited edition, much like the 3rd swinecrused model.
>>
>>53941241

I want the pig Iron Skeeter.
>>
>>53941338
The what?
>>
>>53941390

In Zipp's story, one of his underlings asks if his Iron Skeeter can be made to look like a pig instead. I think there might even be accompanying art.
>>
File: Malifaux Board.jpg (843KB, 3616x2295px) Image search: [Google]
Malifaux Board.jpg
843KB, 3616x2295px
>>53934875
>>53935620
That is indeed a nice table.

How do people feel about big inconvenient centrepice terrain?

That one there is a good one - large enough for multiple models, short enough to be climbable, Ht3 models can see over it.

A little while ago I played with a summoning circle type thing in the centre - stonehenge with a giant (8"x3"x2") brayherd mehir in the centre, plus a couple of small forrests.
It was interesting to have such an inconvenient block in the middle of the table, but if we'd flipped Extraction or something we would've had to re-arrange it.

One of the other common centrepieces is a raised (2" tall, 8"x6") mini-cemetary/ mausoleum/ruined temple that has a bunch of columns around the edge and a stepped path through the middle, arranged in such a way that 50mm bases can only traverse the stepped path.
Makes for interesting manoeuvring, and actively effects crew selection when it is placed somehwere important.

One of the things I'm trying to drill into the heads of a couple of new guys is that symmetrical "fair" terrain is not actually all that great, as longas it isn't bullshit.

Thoughts?
>>
File: Ng.jpg (376KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Ng.jpg
376KB, 1280x960px
>>53941978
> How do people feel about big inconvenient centrepice terrain?
I'm fine without one, as long as there are enough terrain on the table. And perfectly symmetrical tables are boring, imo.
>>
File: Starter Set Medical Team.jpg (273KB, 2048x1778px) Image search: [Google]
Starter Set Medical Team.jpg
273KB, 2048x1778px
>>53937585
>tryhard who can't dial down from cutthroat competitive
Ah, the very best way to introduce new people to the game...

>>53920691
>Kind of annoyed at how constraining it feels to have faction-defining minions in crew boxes.
It is a little annoying, but it's usually worthwhile picking up the whole crew box penny-per-model as opposed to the three-model boxes.

But yes, they need to make money and they've done it by gating access to a bunch of faction critical shit.
As >>53938456 says, at least you aren't Gremlins.

>>53940589
>>53940595

>Other crews can't hire rats and rants only activate the turn they are summoned with a nihilist leader.
Best errata in modern memory.

>>53940677
>Noooo brewmaster is garbage. Only reason he's not the worst master is because Mah Tucket exists
You are using him wrong.
>>
>>53937585
Lol it's funny, around me, people shit on Nico for being uncompetitive.
>>
I really hope Mah gets some sort of ridiculous free upgrade.

As is she is pretty much worse than the faction's average henchmen.
>>
>>53946072
Yep, pretty sure Burt would make a better master.
>>
>>53946028
This is a feature of "local meta". If there is some very competent guy with suboptimal master, or incompetent with strong master, and they're only one using them - this can lead to rather interesting conclusions about masters strength inside that meta. Even "grand" meta isn't safe - something can be considered weak by majority of "internet players" (or how else you'll call people, discussing game on the internet), then one competent player wins big tournament with it and suddenly "under-performing something" viewed anew. The more closed local community, the more it is subject to this "phenomenon".
Ofc, it's not something malifaux-specific. Can happen in any game, really.
>>
>>53863536
I wanted to thank you for introducing me to a cool game
>>
>>53942081
Fuck that windmill is cool. Where'd you get that from?
>>
>>53946178
Yeah.
I think a lot of the misconceptions are from hold over from 1st Ed.
>>53946315
Iktf.
After playing 40k for years, Malifaux is like a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>53946473
Wildland
> vk <dot> com/market-105799558
> facebook <dot> com/groups/WLterrain
I don't know if they have any other site. Their fb has less products shown, so I recommend using vk or just PM them through vk or fb. It's relatively small local manufacturer, and easy to work with, imo. They are shipping around the world, but vk prices are in uah (1 usd ~= 26-27 uah).
>>
So, just got a Ramos crew box. Aside from another box o' spiders and an Electrical Creation, any suggested immediate purchases?
>>
>>53946594
Jfc
They have great products and a huge line. They seriously need a website to sell that shit.
>>
>>53946785
Maybe Johan?
Thread posts: 250
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.