[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 52

File: Skellies.jpg (288KB, 1202x719px) Image search: [Google]
Skellies.jpg
288KB, 1202x719px
Dope Ass Skeleton War Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53773432
>>
Do you guys tell your players the DC that they need to make?
>>
>>53779460
What happened to the trove being updated with the AL modules? Did it end at the same time as free distribution of the modules went or did I miss something?
>>
>>53779467
I'd been looking into this myself recently. I'm going with a Rakshasa whose,been secretly running large sections of a kingdoms economy for a few centuries
>>
Our group is hyped as f for Curse of Strahd, what could we expect?
Any advice or tactics or warnings going into the adventure?
>>
>>53779485
Nope. I tell them after, but only on things they probably wont use again like DC 13 perception to find the pearl or something. I don't tell them the DC of the dex save from a wizards fireball because they can figure that out for themselves if they want to play smart.
>>
>>53779485
I don't tell my players anything. Makes the game more challenging, and fun for the DM, like swining at a piñata or putting the tail on the donkey with blindfolds on.
>>
>>53779485
You're def not supposed to or else the footnote on Bardic Inspration doesn't make sense.
>>
Should I play a Monster Hunter Fighter or a Samurai?
>>
>>53779587
Both
>>
Can anyone give me feedback on this barbarian-caster archetype? its essentially a copy of the one posted last thread but with some changes.

Path of the Frenzy Sorcerer
This is a barbarian path focused on giving the player a small amount of spellcasting and a new roleplay angle. The spellcasting is identical to the Eldritch Knight but instead of using intelligence it uses strength and instead of using wizard spells it uses sorcerer spells.

The lore here is that a person can be born with sorcerer blood and never fully tap into it. If they instead find themselves following the path of a barbarian, their sorcerer blood can unintentionally focus magic through their rage. The character will think that the spells are an aspect of their rage and they most likely won’t understand how magic works outside of their barbarian-spells.

Magical Fury:
When you reach 3rd level, you augment your Rage with the ability to cast spells. You are able to cast and concentrate on spells when your Barbarian Rage is active and your Rage does not end early if you cast a spell on your turn, spells with a range of ‘self’ do not apply to this rule.

Cantrips:
At 3rd level you learn two cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.
You learn an additional cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Spell Slots:
Frenzy Sorcerers do not prepare spells. You cannot cast your Frenzy Sorcerer’s spells unless you are Raging. The Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher.
cont. in next post talking about how they learn and cast spells.
>>
File: awdawdwadawd.png (101KB, 717x428px) Image search: [Google]
awdawdwadawd.png
101KB, 717x428px
>>53779608
>The other way to cast spells was that your barbarian must first experience a spell to use it, they will be able to use their reaction to attempt to absorb the spell and if they suceed on the saving throw they cannot use their reaction to learn it, if they fail the saving throw they can use their reaction to learn the spell.

E.g A warlock casts fireball and the barbarian fails their dex save, they can now use their reaction to learn the spell. This counts toward their number of spells learn’t and if they’ve learnt too many spells they will be

>Another approach to spell casting is to have it similar to warlock spellcasting, where you get a number of spells/day and you have to cast a spell at its highest level.

You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher.
You know three 1st-level spells of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list. The spells known column of the Eldrich Knight Spellcasting table shows when you learn more spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be at a level for which you can cast, as shown on the table.

Spellcasting Ability.
Strength is your spellcasting ability for your Sorcerer spells, since you learn your spells by channeling innate sorcery through your rage. You use your strength whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Strength modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save = DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier
>>
File: giphy.gif (716KB, 245x187px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
716KB, 245x187px
>having to trade ASKs for feats
>literally having to debuff your character to make it interesting
>GWF and Sharpshooter are pretty much the only feats worth taking
>some feats are so bad they literally give a half ASI
>weird chunky metagame of feat purchasing mixed with ASI
>this was worse than giving feats by default every 4th level and having ASIs be rare so the hard cap at 20 doesn't seem so fucking grinding

Wizards isn't even releasing more of them, they just reprint tomb of horrors which used to be fucking free, except now they charge you 30 dollars for it, because oh look the pretty art.
>>
File: 1496948293191.jpg (145KB, 711x467px) Image search: [Google]
1496948293191.jpg
145KB, 711x467px
>>53779592
This isn't very helpful anon I am an extremely indecisive person
>>
>>53779630
Violent Spell (6th lvl Path feature)
Starting at 6th level, you can throw aside all concern for defence to attack with fierce desperation. When you cast the first spell on your turn you can decide to do it violently. Doing so gives a number of enemies (equal to your spellcasting modifier, minimum of 1) disadvantage on their saving throw against your spell, but attack rolls against you have advantage for a number of turns equal to the number of enemies affected by the spell / 2(rounded down).

Controlled Rage (10th lvl Path feature)
Starting at 10th level, you no longer exit rage if you fail to cast a spell during your turn.

Spell Bombardment (14th lvl Path feature)
Beginning at 14th level, the harmful energy of your spells intensifies. When you roll ramage for a spell and roll the highest number possible on any of the dice, you can roll another dice of damage and add it to the total. You can only use this feature once per turn.
>>
Tg, in what way is the Time Stop spell useful? The most I've come up with accelerate crucial 1 minute casting rituals mid battle.

Maybe for social encounters? Steal the orb of orcus being wielded by the lich?
>>
>>53779656
Personally I would monster hunter because I'm not a weeaboo but that's just me.
>>
>>53779653
I took Keen Mind. Is it bad?

I do admit, feats were my primary means of customizing my character before, so it bums me out how neutered they are here. But it did get out of hand in 3.5 and PF. There were feats for everything.
>>
>>53779673
>number of enemies affected by the spell / 2 (rounded down)
I'm changing this to rounded up so that targeting 1&2 people = 1round disadvantage
3&4 = 2rounds disadvantage etc
>>
>>53779608
>using the classes primary stat for spellcasting

Are you retarded? That's fucking broken as fuck. "This spellcasting uses strength instead of intellect like EK does" should have been your first clue you stupid fucking faggot.

>inb4 you try to respond with "well eldritch knight is shit so this is ONLY FAIR because martials should be way better than casters its only fair because muh 3.5
>>
>>53779653
Maybe stop trying to min-max all the fucking time
>>
>>53779500
Is there a limit to cloning? Or is it completely possible for a rich BBEG wizard to just have some sort of cloning room in his tower with a hundred or so clones?
>>
>>53779694
If you take Keen Mind as a wizard I would argue with the DM that you no longer need to have your spellbook on-hand to cast spells because you memorize them as stated with the feat.
>>
File: 1497322607679.pdf (693KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1497322607679.pdf
693KB, 1x1px
>>53779673
I just find another 1/3 vancian caster pretty boring

Here's the original because I'm looking for feedback too.
>>
>>53779692
I can separate the fluff from the crunch, it's not like I HAVE to act like an actual samurai.
>>
>>53779678
>1 minute
Time stop lasts 12-30 seconds
>>
>>53779736
The idea here is to make the barbarian a good blaster while raging, like Wot4E monk but good.
>>
>>53779552
>>53779541

What about on things like lore bard's Cutting Words, or wild sorc's Bend Luck?
>>
>>53779717
Clone
8th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1,000 gp and at least 1 cubic inch of flesh of the creature that is to be cloned, which the spell consumes, and a vessel worth at least 2,000 gp that has a sealable lid and is large enough to hold a Medium creature, such as a huge urn, coffin, mud-filled cyst in the ground, or crystal container filled with salt water)
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell grows an inert duplicate of a living creature as a safeguard against death. This clone forms inside as a sealed vessel and grows to full size and maturity after 120 days you can also choose to have the clone be a younger version of the same creature. It remains inert and endures indefinitely, as long as its vessel remains undisturbed.

At any time after the clone matures, if the original creature dies, its soul transfers to the clone, provided that the soul is free and willing to return. The clone is physically identical to the original and has the same personality, memories, and abilities, but none of the original's equipment. The original creature's physical remains, if they still exist, become inert and can't thereafter be restored to life, since the creature's soul is elsewhere.

With the Wish spell there are no component limits and with the default spell I don't think there are any limits.
>>
>>53779717
> Rich
Wish has no casting components or cost. As long as you're big and strong enough to cast 9th level spells you don't even need magic.
>>
>>53779756
With cutting words they can decide to roll it after they've been hit I'm fairly sure.
>>
File: IMG_1764.png (496KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1764.png
496KB, 750x1334px
>>53779795
>>53779756
Guys. Come on.
>>
>>53779587
samurai with heavy armor master feat
>>
>>53779710
Make the spellcasting stat Wis then?
>>53779826
>Before the DM determines if it hits
The DM doesn't remember my AC so have at him.
>>
>>53779826
>Cutting words only requires a reaction while the valor bard version requires a bonus action, a reaction and needs to be preemptive
>cutting words also has better effects
poor valor bards
>>
>>53779714
>not liking the shitty clunky chargen and charadv means you minmax

Lmao. Try harder Hasbro shill. You're barely worth responding to except to mock
>>
>>53779485
Generally no, but mostly because it's immersion breaking. Not any >>53779541 artifical difficulty. It's good to let players have information so they can make better decisions, but you should do it in a way that doesn't interfere with the flow of the game.
And anyway, usually there's no definite set 'to succeed' DC and instead there's a 'you almost succeed' point.
>>
>>53779781
the spell doesn't suggest you can't have multiple clones. on the other hand it doesn't explain what happens if you do either. would you wake up in the earliest clone avaliable, or the most recent?

the only real danger is that the more clones you make, the higher chance someone could steal a clone. it's not clear that you could cancel the spell, so you would be at their mercy until you got it back. but that's what demiplanes are for.
>>
>>53779854
>This feat
Well shit. Now that, that would be hilarious, I didn't even know that that was a thing.
>>
How do I fight enemies with burrow speed? Our party was hired to kill bullettes infesting a mine, and I fear that they will just retreat when things aren't looking good for them and wait til we're gone. It's not enough for to just defeat them - gotta kill them for good.
>>
>>53779996
Bait them up to the surface?
>>
>>53779996
Don't let them run, surround them, ensnare them, use excessive amount of caltrops
>>
What are some cool party combinations? Monster Slayer Ranger and Lore Wizard seems cool because the Ranger's Slayer's Eye can tell the Lore Wizard how best to use their Spell Secrets.
>>
Anyone got stats for a frost wyrm? I'm thinking like a giant snake, but with horns ala norse wyrms and a breath weapon, but I don't want it to just be a dragon. What's an equivelant I could change up with minimal work, or even just refluff to have it look how I desire.
>>
Anybody here use Roll20?
What do you use to make your maps?
>>
>>53780055
Well, they can just disengage underground.
>>
File: 53e.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
53e.png
27KB, 200x200px
>>53779508
That seems like an interesting thread to follow.

I kinda wanna homebrew something, perhaps something like a Champion stat block alongside the Naga regeneration?

Just showing up on random battlefields, being a huge nuisance to both sides because they can not seem to kill him for reasons unbeknownst to them.
>>
File: thanks satan.jpg (49KB, 638x342px) Image search: [Google]
thanks satan.jpg
49KB, 638x342px
Why can't I stop wanting to change my character and class? I have a problem, good fucking god. I get all excited about a class, make the character, play a session, then suddenly get excited about another character that I want to play. I've made like 3 or 4 so far and now I'm secretly hoping for my current one to die.
>>
How do we fix Wild Magic?

>make it a wizard subclass
>>
>>53780322
You clearly want to play different mechanical things.

Stick with a character and stop having ADD. You'll grow attached eventually.
>>
>>53780332
Every time someone takes an action roll 1d100. Crit procs the Wild Magic.
>>
>>53780340
I've at least decided I'm not gonna ask the DM to let me change my character. I am currently playing a Mystic and it is definitely fun. I also like my character's backstory and personality. So I hope I get really into it soon. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>53780369
What are your thoughts in the Mystic? Bad, good, broken...
>>
>>53780294
If that's the case, then your question isn't really about stats. The reincarnation of Nagas and various fiends is just about fluff. However you choose to justify it, be it through magic or some other force, in the end he keeps coming back because you, the DM, says he does. I'd personally recommend you think of a way for the players to kill him outright s they don't think your just being a dick, but that's also up to you in the end.
>>
>>53780470
I purposefully avoided the more powerful disciplines because I didn't want to be annoying to the DM. Teleporting has been the most helpful one so far, but being able to use Psychic Phantoms to spend 1 psi point to deal 1d10 psychic damage and give everyone advantage in melee towards the target is also extremely helpful. It requires an Int save, and most enemies we've fought haven't been able to succeed at that. Psionic Restoration is also great, it's a cheap 1d8 for healing per psi point spent and at level 5 can be a cheap revivify. I also have Telepathic Contact, which can be very broken if you use Occluded Mind as is, but I just use it so I can speak telepathically with the other party members all at once. My character is basically a mute by choice and only speaks telepathically. So it really depends on the player as to how the Mystic is played. I honestly think it's decently balanced, as psi points go very quickly if you aren't careful. I'm only level 3 though, so maybe it'll be different at higher levels. A lot of these disciplines seem to have some really powerful, expensive options. They were smart in limiting it to only being able to spend a certain amount of psi points depending on your level, but I think the cap being 7 is a bit odd. You basically deal max damage at level 9 with that being the cap.

I rambled a bit there, but overall I'd say it's a good class, which needs some balancing changes. Maybe more psi points total, but also more expensive disciplines so there can be cheap moves that deal decent damage, and expensive moves that deal high damage. It's going to be hard to get it right.
>>
>>53779653
>First time GMing
>misread the feat option
>accidentally let people take 2 ASI or 1 ASI and a feat
>never broken the game for my group, and everyone pretty much always gets a feat and an ASI every increase.
>No one wants to bother with SS or GWM

Feels fucking good man.
>>
File: 1496735371147.jpg (183KB, 552x677px) Image search: [Google]
1496735371147.jpg
183KB, 552x677px
>>53780833
Why does everybody act like weapon feats are some sort of evil entity?

Without weapon feats, what's the point in playing a pure barbarian over a barbarogue? Heck, what's the point in playing a damn fighter?

Either you use one of the suggested fixes (give everybody parts of feats for free) or just fucking live with it and take them. It doesn't break games, it balances it.
>>
>>53780833
That's a smart idea. I think it might need a bit of balancing with the more OP feats though, like Lucky should require sacrificing your other ASI or something.
>>
>>53780858
People in my group see "-5 to hit for +10 damage" and go "NOP.jpg"

Not sure why. But I like it.

>>53780860
Eh, it hasn't been a problem yet. I have someone with lucky, but it hasn't been that impactful yet.

I am also good at drawing out resources of my players, so lucky rarely has enough of an impact.
>>
File: 1496313571321.jpg (39KB, 573x598px) Image search: [Google]
1496313571321.jpg
39KB, 573x598px
>>53780898
So, they can't do mathematics.
>>
>>53780858
Fighters and barbarians deals more damage than rogues even without those feats, and sword & board and two weapon fighting aren't shit compared to 2h weapons
>>
File: image.jpg (331KB, 1024x1321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
331KB, 1024x1321px
How much can you improv as a DM with AL material? So you can't distribute Magic Items or more encounters from what I understand but can you provide cute little side things to interact with so long as it doesn't provide mechanical benefits?
Just trying to gauge how far I can go within its bounds.
>>
File: Barbaroguecomparisons.png (37KB, 1235x238px) Image search: [Google]
Barbaroguecomparisons.png
37KB, 1235x238px
>>53780966
If it does more damage, it's barely anything worthwhile.
>>
File: feats.png (323KB, 1192x392px) Image search: [Google]
feats.png
323KB, 1192x392px
>>53779653
>Wizards isn't even releasing more of them
?
>>
>>53779515

Speaking as a DM currently running Strahd, you must read EVERYTHING that your players might encounter. Without spoilers since you might not be the DM, EVERY event in this land is connected. People are connected, places have relationships, items have desires.

I warned my group that once they got into the setting proper it was an open world sandbox, quests would be available for them that they might not be able to do and this land is very dangerous. They have had so many quest hooks come their way that they have never fully completed one. They keep getting distracted and that has repercussions.
>>
>>53780918
More or less.

Hey I dont mind. Maybe it becomes a problem if someone figures it out. Then I will see if it becomes a problem. Right now the martials heavily outperform the wizard, because I stretch them so thin with long days with only short rests available. The Tomelock is even doing pretty good, but he only matches the Rogue and paladin in damage.
>>
Is Mounted Comabatant obligatory for mount users?
>>
>>53780983
Come back when you can make an intelligible table
>>
Help me design a battle master /tg/ I was thinking of going with a Goliath. What weapons should I go with? What are the best maneuvers? Any feats I should look out for?
>>
Are bird people broken? We're level 5. Flying speed sounds like a big deal.
>>
File: Tablesandstuff.png (87KB, 1880x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tablesandstuff.png
87KB, 1880x768px
>>53781048
What exactly is it you don't understand about it?

It's literally just 'this is how much damage on average each class set-up does against a 19 AC target when they're at level 11 and are built using a normal damage build'
I don't see what the problem is.

>>53781047
Not really. Personally I'd recommend against it because mounts are something DMs might want to take away from you sometimes. But I guess it's a nice extra if you find yourself mounted a lot.
>>
>>53781047
If you are going to be fighting on mounts a lot and you don't want it to die, I'd take it
>>
>>53781092
Yeah, it's currently a toss-up between Mounted Combatant and GWM. I have Polearm Master already so GWM seems better, assuming they synergize like I think they do.

>>53781109
Find Steed makes it less of a setback if it does I guess.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170613-110630.png (143KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170613-110630.png
143KB, 720x1280px
>>53779460
First time D&D player.
Are these stats good?
Aarakocra Monk.
>>
>>53781134
GWM drops off in usefulness at level 11 and after for paladins, especially if you're not devotion or something.

I'd consider an ASI since those are generally good for paladins, charisma or strength, but mounted combatant isn't bad if you find yourself on steeds a lot for combat. If you keep coming across 'your mount can't fit in here' sorts of things, I wouldn't suggest it.
>>
>>53781152
You're a brave man.
>>
File: 1493618568887.jpg (343KB, 956x873px) Image search: [Google]
1493618568887.jpg
343KB, 956x873px
>>53781152
>16 strength
>10 dex
>>
>>53781152
No
>>
>>53781152
Well seeing as a goblin does 3 damage on a minimum roll, that's pretty terrible
>>
>>53781152
You should have a minimum of 7 HP at level 1. First level HP is you max hit dice (d8 for monks) plus your CON modifier, which in your case in -1. You're also going to want to consider more dexterity, it's the main stat for monks.

I hope you have fun in your first game.
>>
File: 1428286733368.png (463KB, 1070x601px) Image search: [Google]
1428286733368.png
463KB, 1070x601px
>>53781168
>>53781175
>>53781187
>>53781200
>>53781203
Goddamnit
Should I just point buy?
>>
>>53781152
Take some of that strength and put it into con.
>>
>>53781210
Don't you get to move your stats around? Or were you told to roll straight down the line.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (301KB, 493x460px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
301KB, 493x460px
>>53781200
Holy shit the longer you look the worse it gets

>huh, 16 dex 14 wis, maybe would be better to have 17 dex 15 wis but hey, whatever
>12 int.. Well, sure? Flavour?
>0 initiative.. They forgot to write it in, right?
>HOLY FUCK 10 DEX
>Fuck
>HOLY SHIT NEGATIVE CON
>FOUR HP
>12 AC, 4 HP, NO INITIATIVE, SHIT SAVES
>>
>>53781210
Point buy is a good choice. Focus on dex and con with wisdom as a secondary priority.

Either way, don't worry too much about your characters stats in your first game.
>>
>>53781230
Rolled straight down.
>>
>>53781092
Better now

>AC 19
Too high for this level, most CR 11 monster doesn't have AC this high, and DMG suggests monster of this challenging rating have 17 AC, and don't forget most of the time the PC are fighting weaker but more numerous enemies. High AC also favors the rogue as GMW is not that useful.

>Barbarian to hit +8
If its a V. Human (optimal choice), it would be +9

>Adv
Barbarians can have advantage when they want

>GMW
When you kill someone you get a bonus attack, you have to consider this

>Reaction
Look at your own table, when you get a reaction attack the damage increase is huge, with PAM OA are a lot more common

>Rogue SA
You can't consider that they will get an sneak attack every attack, sometimes that wil fail (no ally close)
>>
>>53781160
Why does gwm drop in usefulness after 11?
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 5, 3, 4, 3, 4, 1, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 2, 2, 2 = 55 (18d6)

>>53781252
Yeah, rolling straight down is always bad because you get something shit like 9 con
>>
>>53781252
If it means anything you have fantastic stats (minus maybe the con, but what can you do ya'know) for barbarian. Monk is dex based, so you do not gain much of anything for going str monk
>>
>>53781160
Thanks for the advice bud. I'm playing a Devotion paladin, so Sacred Weapon+GWM might be where I'd be going.

You have a good point about ASI though, makes me wish I had more CHA for that sweet Sacred Weapon attack bonus.
>>
>>53781210
Rolls for stat is gay like that.
If your DM allow rolls then point-buy, he is extra gay and encourage min-maxing without penalty. He will probably let you reroll until you get 18 in stat anyway.
>>
>>53781210
rolls for stats is bad. It's only there to satisfy older edition grognards who refuse to play with superior point buy (because they can't cheat). There is a reason why organize play only use standard array or point-buy.
>>
>>53781288
>>53781289
Alright thanks.
I'll try not to fuck it up next time.
>>
>>53779608
It's still too similar, I think. The lack of limitation to casting while raging, and the fact that your casting stat overlaps with your main attacking stat makes it OP. You mentioned earlier that you can't expect to rage every single encounter, but you can rage three times per long rest from level 3 on, and 4 times at level 6 IIRC. That means that you'll have these powers for at least most of your big encounters.

Here's what I think:
1) They aren't sorcerers or wizards and know jack shit about spells, so they can't cast actual spells, but rather have 'spell-like abilities' that use a known spell as a base, but which is delivered in an uncontrolled way. i.e. you can cast Fireball but only when centered on yourself. You can cast Jump, but the excess magical energy in your legs requires you to jump max distance every turn while it's active. Things like that.

2) Maybe even make it luck-based. Give them access to strong spells/abilities, but little control as to which they use. You could use Wild Magic as an idea, but roll for a spell effect every turn while raging.

As it is now there isn't much 'frenzying' involved, since from what I see the optimal way to use your Frenzy Sorcerer is to stand far outside combat and lob spells. That's the opposite of what a Barbarian is supposed to be. If you're not gonna get close you might as well just play a Sorcerer in the first place.
>>
>>53781288
>7 Str
>10 Dex
>9 Con
>11 Int
>12 Wis
>6 Cha

That's a very ugly commoner you rolled there.
>>
>>53781278
>AC should be 17
It varies a lot on the DM, but the difference should be quite trivial. I guess I can change that though since literally all I have to do is type in '17' instead of '19'.

>If its a V. Human (optimal choice), it would be +9
The barbarian with 20 strength you can see in that table have +9 to hit.
The barbarian with 18 strength has +8 to hit.

>Barbarians can have advantage when they want
Reckless attack is already clearly accounted for with anything denoting 'reckless'
I did just realize something important though - reckless attack does not apply to reaction attacks. I'm going to go change that, but that only affects GWM.

>When you kill someone you get a bonus attack, you have to consider this
Already considered, it's why the GWM bonus attack chance is higher than the chance of getting a critical hit. The number is arbitrary, but it's around 0.15 per round before adding on crit chance.

>Look at your own table, when you get a reaction attack the damage increase is huge, with PAM OA are a lot more common
While it's not entirely clear the reactions are due to PAM, the point is that there's an arbitrary value (Usually between 0.33 and 0.6) for reaction attack chance by PAM and otherwise reaction attacks aren't considered (though they're a possibility depending on situation).

>You can't consider that they will get an sneak attack every attack, sometimes that wil fail (no ally close)
It's safe enough to assume you will get it, especially at level 11.
>>
>>53781068
Bumping for help
>>
>>53781283
It doesn't, he's retarded.
>>
If you ever get tempted by the idea, don't ever host a game of more than 4-5 people.

Campaign 1(8 players)

>new DM
>does things to spite certain players;players spite DM in return
>party forms in-group factions between good aligned players and chaotic aligned players
>DM does not know how to balance time between players, giving them ample time and others who spent thirty-five minutes to get here so little

Campaign 2(10 players)

>experienced DM so she runs game pretty smooth
>work with DM to make backstory and character viable with campaign beforehand
>we start
>newcomer next to me decides to be my father, then falls back onto half-brother and insists on it
>do_not_want.avi
>my character is a Halfling Rogue, his is an Aasimar Paladin
>newcomer does stuff that impedes game
>does not understand the tone of the story
>wants to smite the Wizard and chop people's hands off
>uses d100 instead of d20

Just find a small group of good friends and play. In old editions of D&D, big groups are viable, but totally not in 5e.
>>
File: 2p.png (283KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2p.png
283KB, 500x500px
>>53781413
I play with 6 frequently, it is doable.

but god its so, so much fucking better with 5. and even miles better from there with 4.
>>
Running White Plume Mountain from tftyp tonight. Group has no rez, should I go a bit easy on them? group rolled up new level 8's so there isn't much attachment if someone does die. How deadly is the dungeon?
>>
>>53781283
It becomes a smaller percentage of the total damage of a paladin's attacks at level 11 since they are adding 1d8 to each attack. Essentially, the lost damage on a miss is greater.

It's a poor argument for not taking GWM at all. It's just an argument to avoid taking the penalty until you have a grasp on how easily you can hit certain enemies.
>>
do you guys find it better to run players through a few medium/hard encounters in a session or a single deadly encounter?

if it depends, which do you find flows better
>>
>>53781283
As your damage per hit increases, GWM's -5 to hit +10 to damage is worth less due to decreased hit chance.
At level 11 you get improved divine smite.
>>
>>53781456
>a single deadly encounter
this only makes paladins and casters stronger
>>
>>53781476
But anon, what if my 8 hour sessions still don't get much progress done cause my players spend literal hours not making an decisions and I am stuck only giving them an encounter or two?
>>
>>53781456
So far it's just one or two encounters because fights take forever.
>>
>>53781413
>>53781426
I've played with 6 people for so long that 4 seems weird to me
>>
>>53781493
Then you probably need to introduce some elements into the plot that suggest time passes while they fart around indecisively. Something needs to clue them in that their objectives get harder to accomplish the longer they take to start.
>>
>>53781538
good idea, ill try to work that in somehow.

i've started giving them countdowns in combat when they start communicating amongst each other for too long, or if they're out of combat and they spend DAYS before embarking on an assigned mission sometimes i make the situation far worse than they were briefed on.

hasn't helped so far, but hey, maybe im not pressuring enough.
>>
>>53781402
>>53781278
So I fixed that reaction attack exception and changed AC to 17
Oddly enough, changing AC from 19 to 17 actually hurts no-feat barbarian in comparison to rogue because barbarian already had such a high hit chance in the first place due to advantage. Of course, non-reckless attack increased by as much (almost as much as hand crossbow rogue and a tiny bit more than rapiers rogue) but it's still inferior.

You can go run through the numbers yourself, but a strength barbarian without feats doesn't compete with a rogue with feats or a barbarogue without feats, really. Probably doesn't beat a rogue with GFB+BB from arcane trickster but no feats, either.
>>
>>53781493
Nigga I've had five hour sessions where we did nothing but open like one door and not even any encounters. It's the DM's job to keep the game moving.
>>
Anyone been playtesting Harbinger? Not asking for a pdf, i'm cool to wait. But how's it play? Is the setting good? It sounds like an awesome change of pace without having to change system, so figured i'd ask.
>>
>>53779515
Have fun. Be Smart. Don't Rush into trouble if you can otherwise sidle up to it. A friend you can trust is worth more than their weight in silver.
>>
>>53781591
x 5/Rogue 15

Which class is better? Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Monk or Ranger?
>>
>>53779653
They've playtested additional feats for Weapon Masteries, Skill masteries, Tool Masteries, and Racial Feats.

They are on track to officially releasing some additional feats I tell you what.
>>
>>53781677
They fulfill different roles, and there are others that give extra attack such as warlock/bard/wizard/sorcerer with the right archetypes, but

Barbarian has the most synergy, I'd say.
Depends what you want to be good at.

Paladin isn't incredibly advisable unless you have high charisma and want aura of protection.
Fighter isn't bad, though to get the most you kinda use wacky war magic or riposte or action surge for reaction attack sneak attacks.
Shadow monk is fun for stealth and level 6 in it isn't bad. Also stuns are pretty valuable, so it has merits.

So I'd rank it something like
Barbarian>Monk>Fighter>Paladin>Ranger assuming you're using non-revised ranger (Why would they let you multiclass dip into revised ranger?)
If you use revised ranger, it's come between barbarian and monk.
>>
>>53781413
3 players+DM is true god tier if they're all good friends. Three's a crowd, less cancellations, no drama, easier to organize, everyone gets ample time in the spotlight.

Truly god tier.
>>
File: uzuwah.jpg (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
uzuwah.jpg
23KB, 200x200px
>>53781701
Most of them were SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

We don't need weapon mastery feats, we need something alternative that doesn't give martials 'compulsory feats'.
>>
>>53781350
Thanks for the critique, I'll work on it then post in a few days.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170613-120420.png (154KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170613-120420.png
154KB, 720x1280px
Alright try #2
Is he good?
>>
>>53781837
Much better.
>>
>>53781837
Better. Would be best if you had 17 dexterity or 15 con so that you could do +1 wisdom +1[con/dex] at the same time at level 4 and get either 18dex/16wis/14con or 16dex/16con/16wis at level 4, but that's not necessary. Not as necessary as this compared to how it was before.
>>
File: 1496366075801.jpg (108KB, 456x386px) Image search: [Google]
1496366075801.jpg
108KB, 456x386px
>>53781837
>ads
>>
>>53782000
What's wrong with ads?
>>
I got around to doing the character drawing from the other thread.
Behold, Jericho the level 1 kobold bard.
Post your character drawings.
also pls no bully
>>
File: Jericho re.png (90KB, 380x646px) Image search: [Google]
Jericho re.png
90KB, 380x646px
>>53782061
oops
>>
>>53779653
>complains about how much a book costs when we have everything for free in the mega
>>
File: cia question.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
cia question.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
Noob-friendly warlock build?
>>
>>53782302
Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>53779485
If they keep rolling against literally the same thing--such as a monster's ability--I might do so after a few rounds, just to keep things moving.
>>
Do your or would you allow a character to take one feature of a different archtype when they level up?

Example: You're a level 6 Fighter/Champion. When you hit level 7, you want to take the "Know Your Enemy" feature of the Battle Master instead of "Remarkable Athlete."
>>
About to run Out of the Abyss as the last adventure ever for my group tonight! I have read the first few chapters and probably won't get through the first one in this session. Any tips for making everything fun? Especially in the exploration-heavy segments.
>>
>>53782502
>Do you
>>
>>53779460
Anyone have experience with the updated ranger? Worth playing now?
>>
>>53782302
If you spam Hex, will you die?
>>
File: 1495166813102.gif (351KB, 250x204px) Image search: [Google]
1495166813102.gif
351KB, 250x204px
>>53782302
A Tome Warlock is a big guy.
>>
>>53782502
I offer that kind of stuff as treasure alternatives rather than as class feature alternatives.
>>
>>53782502
But then what is the point of archetypes, anon?
>>
>>53782653
It lets you swap out a shit archtype with one that's better, but you keep the archtype in all other assets.

>>53782570
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>53782926
this sorta got me brainstorming. has anybody who has done this from level 1 noticed any problems?

would be sorta interesting and create way more diverse builds, however im not sure if there is some stupid broken mix that i am not thinking of.
>>
>>53783010
One thing that would be retarded would be for a Champion class to give up their 15 bonus and take the 15 bonus Arcane Charge from Eldritch Knight.

If it's allowed at all it would have to make sense.
>>
>>53783085
retarded, sure, but i was thinking more like mechanically broken.
>>
>>53783010
Play assassin or thief rogue and pick anything else for all the features except level 3 and 17. It gets real broken real fast because archetypes aren't balanced against other classes archetypes, and the fluff abilities for different classes come at different levels.
>>
File: 1495136157821.gif (618KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1495136157821.gif
618KB, 400x229px
>>53783103
I'm sure there are some cleric options that would be crazy.

They have like twenty divine domains.

>>53783178
>tfw assassin is what made me think of it
Anything between 3 and 17 for assassin sucks tbhfam.
>>
>>53782302
Take Agonizing Blast at level 2. Take tome for free cantrips, 2 ritual spells and potentially the best ritual casting in the game if your DM is nice. Eventually take repelling blast (you could take it as one of your level 2 invocations but that's boring). If your DM allows UA and you care more about control than utility or rp in invocation choice, take agonizing + repelling and then get frost lance so you can stall shit while killing it. Pump CHA as hard as possible as this is very unilaterally your most important stat. In theory, you can nova fairly hard with pact magic, but until level 10 (aka the upper limit of the levels people actually play) you don't get more than 2 slots per short rest, so this is never going to be your most important feature.
>>
>>53782302
Grab repelling blast and agonizing blast.
You're welcome.

The Kek Patron is also pretty good and gives you access to bane as a level 1 spell, Mr. CIA Agent.
>>
>>53782302
>>53783270
Also ask your DM to eventually give you a Rod of the Pact Keeper and a Ring of Spell Storing.

That will give your warlock more spell slots to play around with. Both are in the DMG.
>>
File: 1496697098764.jpg (32KB, 422x550px) Image search: [Google]
1496697098764.jpg
32KB, 422x550px
>>53783335
>Ask your DM to give you magical items
>>
>>53783362
Yes, you make a request and say "something along those lines would be nice"
>>
File: 1368178045276.jpg (52KB, 560x840px) Image search: [Google]
1368178045276.jpg
52KB, 560x840px
Hey guys, I'm preparing a Curse of Strahd campaign and I had a few ideas, please tell me if you like them:

I will change the gay revenant, Sir Godfrey, into Count Strahd's younger brother, Lord Sturm von Zarovich, who was cut out from the CoS story. Yes, I will literally make Strahd's other brother into a faggot.
Then, I will make him the "special ally" in the card reading (Sir Godfrey was already an option).
Then, I will require the dragon's soul to be restored in Argynvostholt before he can consider joining the party.
Then, I will use the third gem from the Wizard of Wines, which remains unused throughout the adventure (it doesn't even exist) and have Rahadin and a covenant of hags place it into the dragon's skull, animating it and granting it a spiritual body to go with it, which will then terrorize the PCs and Barovia.
If they kill it, they grab both the champagne gem and the skull, which is otherwise pretty much impossible to get. And then Lord Sturm can join them against his brother.

I will kidnap one of the PCs, the one most likely to accept Strahd's corruption, and have him witness the animation of the dead silver dragon, so the players are aware of it. In fact, I'm thinking of foreshadowing Rahadin and the dragon in a bad dream earlier as well, to build him up as an antagonist too.
I will also use the kidnapped PC as bait in order for the rest of the party to accept the dinner invitation and go to Ravenloft early.

Pls don't shoot, these are just ideas.
>>
>>53783362
If you're in mid levels a +1 rod of the pact keeper is reasonable to ask for so you can do something that isn't eldritch blast spam 24/7. In modules, magical items don't even take that long to stat appearing anyways. You don't go and tell the DM "HEY MAGGOT GIVE ME A ROD OF THE PACT KEEPER RIGHT FUCKING NOW", you just bring with some semblance of subtlety it up like "hey have you seen what this item does?"
>>
File: bab.png (25KB, 181x180px) Image search: [Google]
bab.png
25KB, 181x180px
>>53783458
>make him gay

for what purpose
>>
>>53783459
>>53783390
Well, maybe if you're subtle, sure.

If you weren't subtle it'd sound like
>Plays warlock
>'Hey DM I'm a warlock now give me more spell slots, better eldritch blast and better save DC'

I'm of the opinion of scrapping the DMG's magic items and only using them for inspiration, anyway.
>>
>>53783474
No, the Revenant is already gay. The change he's making is having him related to Strahd.
>>
>>53783474
Sir Godfrey the revenant is already gay, I'll just be changing the character's name
In fact I'll make it a secret, the PCs will discover it as a surprise at some point

Also, I realized there is no way for the players to ever find out that Ireena and the disfigured guy in Vallaki are siblings. The adventure says so, but not a single character in the book knows it. I have to make the players find out, somehow.
>>
>>53783497
>>53783508
Ah, okay, that clears it up. Didn't realize that.
>>
>>53783492
I more or less agree with you, especially with the magic items.

When I say asking I mean just that: "hey DM, so my warlock has like 2 spell slots until he's level 20 so... I mean, I'd appreciate some sort of side-quest to expand it, maybe work it into the patron-roleplay, or something, but you don't have to, I'm fine-as"

Default warlock is fine, those particular upgrades just make it easier to get by.
>>
>>53783458
pretty good idea m8. I played it straight and it was fairly fun (they went to the castle to get the skull, but steamrolled strahd because I fucked up playing him and got cocky). Making the dragon more actively involved could be fun, depending on the atmosphere you want.
>>
>>53781837
So much better. If you could move some from any of your stats with 10 to get that con up it would be great. What race and aubrace are you? I'm assuming from the 25ft movement either halfling or dwarf, though I guess kobold is possible too.
>>
>>53783492
Not that much of a stretch to be honest, warlocks getting 2 spell slots for the majority of their career is pretty arbitrarily low and doing a really strong save spell maybe once per session won't be mindblowing compared to what every other full caster can do. More accurate EB may be a bit of an issue, but you're comparing it to martials who at that point are already packing in their first feat memes
>>
Can anyone give me tips on making "official looking" pdfs for homebrews? I'm not much of a graphic designer
>>
File: 1490350837959.png (51KB, 333x268px) Image search: [Google]
1490350837959.png
51KB, 333x268px
>>53783536
>'give me this upgrade, b-baka'
>'y-you don't have to or anything, it's not like i want it'
>>
>>53783595
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Use this.
>>
>>53783612
I love you
>>
>>53783577
>warlocks getting 2 spell slots for the majority of their career is pretty arbitrarily low

I need more warlock players. My games last from 3 to 20 and the majority of the game is spent at 11+, when warlocks have more than 2 slots and mystic arcanum.
>>
File: 1475076897076.jpg (196KB, 1024x746px) Image search: [Google]
1475076897076.jpg
196KB, 1024x746px
>>53783632
You too, man.
>>
>>53783612
Is there anything like this but for the monster manual?
>>
I made a Wizard for an upcoming 1st level game. Rate my spell list.

Cantrips:

Firebolt
Light
True Strike

1st level:

Silent Image
Shield
Fog Cloud
Grease
Sleep
Magic Missile
>>
>>53784184
True Strike is shit, I used Shocking Grasp to get out of nasty situations (and even save friends) last season.
Firebolt is fire, just like your other single target damage spell, Scorching Ray. I picked Ray of Frost, it barely makes any difference.

As always in D&D, the difference between a d6 and a d8 or d10 is negligible, it's only the modifiers that truly count.
>>
>>53784184
true strike is a trap.
you can true strike to give your next attack advantage, or you can use those two turns to attack. Either way that is 2d20's being rolled.
>>
What's the craziest D&D module you've ever played? Crazy being stuff like White Plume Mountain.
>>
>>53779876
They get better armor and weapons, so its not a total loss.
>>
I know next to nothing about playing a ranger, can I get some tips?
I was planning on choosing the hunter archetype.
>>
>>53781426

I've been learning this too lately. I have a group of six and they're stomping encounters. If one of them has to drop the group I won't replace them.
>>
>>53784416
either use the UA revised ranger, or play oath of ancients paladin.
>>
>>53784444
>they're stomping encounters

anon you replied to here. im also dealing with this. considering the amount of time my players take just socializing in RP and decision making, i cant really throw too many encounters in a session at them.

however, they're only level 4, and because there is 6 of them, i either have to send a single VERY strong foe at them or a fuckload of smaller ones. either way, they like a slow buildup but due to the sheer number of PCs i feel as if i have to ramp it up already.

in a bit of a pickle.
>>
>>53784013
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Use this.
>>
>>53784246
>>53784276
Ok. Instead of True Strike, should I take Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, or Mending?
>>
>>53784588
Don't take both Ray of Frost and Firebolt, only pick one ranged damage cantrip

Mending is always useful, depending on your DM. Many written adventures make use of it.
>>
>>53784588
literally anything other than true strike will be an improvement.
>>
How do I build a monster hunter type of character?
Not In the way the Monster Hunter US fighter class is designed with supernatural threats, I just want a character who is very good at tracking and killing large beasts.
>>
>>53784292
Expedition to Barrier Peaks and Temple of Frog
>>
>>53784617
>be any class
>take survival and perception
TA DA!
>>
File: Way of the 4 Elements.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Way of the 4 Elements.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>
>in 5e group for the long block at my rpg club
>7 people and the GM

Fucks sake it's far too much for a group, it's actually putting me off going.
>>
File: _wsb_529x790_Alnoen-small.jpg (99KB, 529x790px) Image search: [Google]
_wsb_529x790_Alnoen-small.jpg
99KB, 529x790px
>decide to play a ranger for the first time in 5e
>all options are fucking shit
>play a scout rogue instead

How do we fix the ranger, /5eg/?
>>
>>53784844
Start running a group to split up the players.
>>
>>53784856
It's called the revised ranger, use it.
>>
>>53784914
It's also uninspired shit
>>
>>53784948
Why is it so easy to spot pathfinder/3.5 players?
>>
>>53784973
Do tell? We all played 3.5 here, so what makes me stand out? Not liking the completely useless ranger?
>>
>>53784973
Oh fuck off. Everyone knows 5e ranger sucks, even with the revision. We've had numerous discussions about it.

Do you think it's good?
>>
Is there a feat that offers similar benefitsas favored enemy?
>>
>>53785074
No, most people have said that revised ranger is good if not great. That's why people tell people to play it and ignore PHB ranger completely.
>>
>>53785074
I don't know. I think it's pretty okay, balance-wise.

Its main problem however is a lack of a clear, defined role that isn't already plenty covered.
>>
>>53785074
No, you are downright making shit up, or your "numerous discussions" are you cherrypicking the couple of people who are really loud about not liking revised ranger
>>
>>53785116
Grudge-Bearer is similarly oriented against a single race, but it's locked to dwarves. Honestly I imagine most DMs would be willing to give it to you as a "racism" feat, though.
>>
>>53779485
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
If it's an action that has a gaugeable difficulty, they should know the exact DC. I don't think descriptors like "Easy" or "Average" or "Hard" quite cover every use case, especially when you're not using DCs in steps of 5 or the party has wildly different skillsets and capabilities. To say "jumping this chasm would be an Easy check" says to me that even an average-strength Wizard with no proficiency would hop it more than 50% of the time, as a DC10 requires. If you're rolling to begin with, it's already a difficult task, otherwise don't fucking roll.

Opening a stone door that's stuck somehow is of an unknowable difficulty, though. You can imagine that it's hard because the door is heavy, but no idea exactly what's making it stick or how difficult that would be to dislodge. In situations like that, I leave players completely blind.
Unless, again, it's something they are capable of actually beating and there's no time requirements or penalty for failing individual attempts. Then I'll just say something like, "You don't manage to dislodge the door. Do you want to try again? How much time would you like to spend?" And if they give me a decent amount of time, I'll just auto-success it and tell them how long and difficult it was.
>>
WHat school of magic should I specialize in? Divining seems pretty good but so does transmutation and evocation.
>>
>>53784490

At level 5, the only think that stymied them was a pair of flesh golems. And once they managed to get a short rest, they had just the right spells ready to stomp them. Magic Weapon and such.

One big/tough monster just isn't an option against them, even if it's very high CR, since their sheer action economy and spell slots (two wizards, a bard, a cleric, a monk Druid, and a paladin) means they have to be worn down - so I can't do one big encounter in a day if I want to challenge them. I have to wear them out.

When they faced a Fireball, they countered it. When the second enemy Caster countered the counterspell, they countered that too.

I don't want to resort to GM cheat tactics like giving monsters flat boosts to saves or whatever but I might have to
>>
>>53785192
Think of what kind of person your wizard is, tell us in your next post, then I will answer.
>>
Should I play Path of the Zealot barbarian or Oath of vengeance paladin?
I want to play a big angry holy man of some kind.

Any advice on how to roleplay a vengeance paladin?
>>
>>53785192

Play a Mountian Dwarf Abjurer and fight in melee with your medium armor, war hammers and Booming Blade. And have Shield and abjurer wards.
>>
>>53780898
>People in my group see "-5 to hit for +10 damage" and go "NOP.jpg"
>Not sure why. But I like it.
Because hitting twice is better than missing once and hitting for +10 damage.
>>
>>53785268
There are so many vengeance paladins it kinda hurts somehow because it feels like 'I can't hold an oath I just want to be angry'

That said, I'd recommend vengeance over zealot because less silly revive bullshit.

As far as roleplay goes, it's mostly being horrendously racist towards something, I guess?
>>
Why aren't you playing in the inherently superior modern magic settings widely available? Why are you still playing in the forgettable realms?
>>
>>53785341
But I'm not. I'm playing my DM's Witcher ripoff.
>>
>>53785325
Ehh, I've played devotion and chastity so I wanted something a bit different. I have an underdark campaign coming up, any recommendations on what to make my target of vengeance?
Really I just want to hit things with a big sword.
>>
>>53785360
That's almost worse. All of the boring elements of fantasy, none of the fun ones.
>>
>>53785162
Oh yeah?

What does the revised ranger do well?

Fighting? Fighter does it better? Even the Moon druid does it better. Not to mention barbarian.

Being nature caster? Druid.

Being sneaky woodsman? Rogue.

The only thing they have going for them compared to a rogue or fighter is ignoring terrain and not getting lost. Too bad that is extremely circumstancial and is also pretty much done by Scout.
>>
>>53785468
Quick, say something about Mike Mearls.
>>
How so you handle gunpowder?

Just say it isn't around at all?
Does it exist but guns don't due to a lack of good enough metal for the barrels?
Guns exist but they're still really primitive, unreliable, or not as effective as proper training?

And if gunpowder doesn't exist, what's a good alternative to flares? I want something like them for the navy of a certain place to have
>>
Just use magic instead desu
>>
>>53785237
He's young and bumbling, an apprentice, human. Became a wizard when his family realized he had a knack for numbers and reading, so he apprenticed himself to the town wizard. He secretly became an apprentice to get away from his abusive father. His master has him doing menial chores a lot, but he soaks up every crumb of knowledge his master gives him. He only knows two offensive spells, the rest are utilitarian or tactical in nature. He likes to spend his free time reading and meditating in the woods, drinking in taverns and listening to good music. Stammers when talking to pretty women.
>>
>>53785308
Hitting once is better than hitting zero times too. You don't get anywhere assuming terrible luck, and even if you did, statistically you should literally always choose to attack with the Sharpshooter/GWM bonus.
>>
>>53780898
>People in my group see "-5 to hit for +10 damage" and go "NOP.jpg"
>Not sure why. But I like it.
because people like >>53785308
dont understand how the math works.

Spoiler: the math shows GWM is a net gain
>>
>>53785468
I mean they have one of the best at-will AoE attacks in the game, they compete with fighter at fighting (at range, and fighting at range is the best way to do it anyway) and the casting gives a nice bit of utility. A bit of extra sneakiness is a bonus too.

Yes, it's not terribly unique, and that's its problem, but it doesn't make it unservicable. It's just a variant dex fighter, I guess.
>>
>>53785590
everyone uses guns.
>>
>>53785590
Guns exist, but they're mechanically limited and not really great for most heroes, but good for armies, but only armies with a lot of money to spend per person for good guns will have any, and a lot of people try to be good at bows anyway because they're wanna-be heroes.
Bombs, grenades and the like exist and can be acquired, though they tend to be more sidegrades if used in battle, though they can be used to good demolition effect.
>>
>>53785702
>It's just a variant dex fighter, I guess.
It should be a fighter subclass desu senpai
>>
>>53785701
>>53785692
>my DM pits us against leather-wearing humanoids and beasts all game
Your GWM Barbs, even spamming Reckless Attack for non-stop advantage, would get stomped in the campaign I'm currently playing in.
>>
>>53785632
>He only knows two offensive spells, the rest are utilitarian or tactical in nature
Then we will rule out evocation, and maybe necromancy.
>Stammers when talking to pretty women.
Maybe he's not that charismatic, so enchantment isn't his thing. Or perhaps thats exactly why he picked it up?

From the rest of it it would seem like divination or transmutation fits you.
>>
>>53785806
Thanks for the help.
>>
>>53785786
Yeah, fuck martials, am I right? They only deserve to hit 25% of the time.
>>
File: 1488096593811.jpg (55KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1488096593811.jpg
55KB, 640x960px
>play sorcerer
>traditional magic user with robes, a pointy at, and a long flowing beard
>trained by a wizard school until he was 40
>can't cast spells like normal wizards
>has no ability to memorize magic and just does it
>wizard college gets pissed at him for being useless after one-to-many failures
>they send him out to adventure for some obscure tome
>he wonders why he can't cast spells good
>still level 1 after all this time
Rate my sorcerer idea.

Also I don't want to use Draconic or Wild Magic, what's a good variant of sorcerer? I recall some kind of lightning variant in one of the modules and stone sorcerer. I haven't checked any of the UA versions out. Recommend me one.
>>
>>53785905
>a pointy hat
>>
>>53785905
I think you should just play a wizard.
>>
>>53785905
You're thinking of Storm Sorcery from SCAG.

Shadow Sorcerer in Light, Dark, Underdark is very good.

The latest revision of Favored Soul in May's Revised Subclasses article is good.
>>
>>53785905
Stone sorcerer is actually a decent sorcerer. Even if it's gishey and not standard wizardey.

As mentioned, shadow sorcerer is quite powerful too.
>>
Tomorrow I'll be starting a game as a level 8 swashbuckler rogue armed with a hat of disguise and the actor feat. This guy is way too into his disguises and adopts a range of personas. I've outlined ten different personas for him so far. If anyone's feeling imaginative I'd love to jot down any more because I'm interested in which archetypes and ideas I haven't thought of.

Humorous or memorable names will be appreciated. The character is human and speaks common and elvish
>>
is it worth taking GWM on a class that can't reliably get advantage to hit?
>>
>>53785938
I don't want to be a wizard. I want to be some kind of sorcerer who can't do wizard shit but becomes stupidpowerful anyway.I kind of want to give him Magic Initiate for Druid or Cleric or something.

>wizard professor: "Why the fuck can't you cast 'Magic Missile' but are making flowers bloom?"
>"I don't know what I'm doing, man."
>"d-did you just make vines?"
>"HELP"
>>
>>53785948
>>53785964
I'll check out Storm Sorcerer and Shadow Sorcerer.

Favored Soul sounds interesting. What the heck is it about?
>>
Sacking a kingdom with an army is taxing work.
>>
>>53786164
So your PC is a politician then?
>>
Any cool encounters to make a ranger feel needed? Got a complaint from a player that they feel like they are useless OOC, and wanna throw them a bone.
>>
>>53786073
Divine magic, be a cleric without being a cleric
>>
>>53786192
Tracking a dangerous beast of some kind. even better if the mission is to bring it back alive.
>>
File: WiSC 131199_640.jpg (84KB, 468x315px) Image search: [Google]
WiSC 131199_640.jpg
84KB, 468x315px
>>53781152

This feels like bait.
>>
>>53785905
Have him be wild magic sorcerer for extra annoyance to wizards.
>>
File: fucking demons.jpg (151KB, 591x960px) Image search: [Google]
fucking demons.jpg
151KB, 591x960px
>>53785590
It only exists in the Abyss.
>>
>>53786192
Most terrain are rough/difficult terrain. And throw some of his favored enemy into the encounter. I don't know how his first two ability work though. I just treat all from of movement as normal and he does not need to make check on climbing or getting lost. FE is give wis profession to his attack against them.
>>
>>53786229
I really should have thought of that. That'll do nicely.
>>
>>53786176
My dm charge different unit different cost with their long and short term cost too.
>>
>>53785721
This. Basically just refluff the existing ranged weapons to suit the setting's atmosphere and tech level.

>>53785863
>muh martials vs casters
Not in combat, dipshit. Casters are no more accurate with their cantrips than martials with their attacks, and at most levels, that's how they fight.
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
My 4 players want me to create characters for a Curse of Strahd game and I've come up with these 8 for them to pick:

1. A bear barb (melee)
2. A battlemaster fighter (I'll make him ranged)
3. A swashbuckler rogue (melee)
4. A monster slayer revised ranger (ranged)
5. A life cleric (melee - caster)
6. An Oath of Ancients paladin (melee)
7. A loremaster wizard (caster)
8. A favoured soul (v3) sorcerer (caster)

Only one player will pick the wizard or sorcerer, nobody else wants it (I'm sure). One player will go for the simplest choice, either bear barb or swashbuckler. The other two players I really don't know.

Do you think it's too bland? Not everyone in the group wants super complex stuff.
>>
>>53786056

well i hope you really like daylight, dominate beast, earthquake, enhance ability, firestorm, insect plague, warding wind, and water walk, because those are the only spells sorcerers get that wizards don't
>>
>>53785863
Even if the hit chance for your GWM char was 25%, it'd be higher if you weren't GWMing.
>>
File: 1496791791270-a (1).gif (849KB, 200x112px) Image search: [Google]
1496791791270-a (1).gif
849KB, 200x112px
>>53786192
On the subject of this, i feel like 2 of my players aren't getting enough love.

>Human Monk
>Water Genasi Drood

the Monk is easier, just give him fights, but im at a bit of a loss for the Drood
>>
>>53786463
Seems okay to me, hopefully someone takes the life cleric, or at least the paladin
>>
>>53786461
>Casters are no more accurate with their cantrips than martials with their attacks, and at most levels, that's how they fight.
There are plenty of spells that target saves, including cantrips that target saves and spells that target saves every single round such as with call lightning or spirit guardians.

Casters definitely care less about enemy AC a lot less than martials, especially from about level 5 onwards.
>>
>>53786492
The point is more that the poster implies their DM puts a load of high AC enemies everywhere, and for the most part casters can bypass that problem, but martials can't.
>>
>>53786560
I'd presume the point isn't to just punish martials, but to put in enemies with more varied defenses. In that case, I assume there would also be enemies with decent saves in this or that or elemental resistances.

And if I were DMing a game where every enemy is a plate-wearing knight, you can bet some of them would be Ancients Paladins and Absorb Elements EKs.
>>
First time dm here, what adventure from the mega would you recommend that's not LMOP
>>
>>53786619
No one ever talks about the Adventurer's League one-shot things, it's always "big campaign, big campaign, big campaign". Look through some of those and just string a few together with an overarching plotline.
>>
>>53786619
Sunless Citadel in Tales from the Yawning Portal. It's a straightforward dungeon crawl with plenty of content within and can easily branch out into other stories (including Forge of Fury in the very same book).
>>
>>53786502
What do druids even do in this game, other than turning into bears.
>>
>>53786800
Revolutionize agriculture and agricultural economies.
>>
>>53786800
Run kinky brothels
>>
>>53786037
Anyone, I really don't know enough about martials to tell.
>>53786502
what kind of druid and what kind of monk?
>>
>>53786834
"Wild Shape" indeed
>>
File: 1488049564380.jpg (171KB, 660x574px) Image search: [Google]
1488049564380.jpg
171KB, 660x574px
>Player says he says something instead of just saying it in character
>>
>>53786037
>>53786839
GWM can be nice even if you want to sword-and-board. All the memesters here think the whole point of the feat is spamming +10 damage and whiffing your attacks all day, but free attacks on crits and kills works even with non-Heavy weapons.

That can be pretty powerful in the hands of most martials. Rogues, obviously, will likely already be dual-wielding and using their bonus action, but Fighters and Paladins especially can tag extra damage onto their attacks through maneuvers and Smites to further capitalize on crits, bonus hits, or to give them the triggering kills they need.
>>
>>53786960
I feel silly doing the voices, my range of accents are southern and crocodile Dundee.
>>
>>53786960
I don't see the issue?
>>
>>53786960
Third person is the right way to play, no cringe """in character"""
>>
>>53786960

Yeah, I do this sometimes, so fucking what?
>>
>>53787002
I explain to you the issue. *rolls persuasion*
>>
>>53787015
>>53786960
I hope you require your Wizard's player to draw out arcane symbols on a piece of paper and quote complex mathematical problems whenever he's making an Arcana check to show that he, the player, is smart like his character, since you want your other players to be as charismatic as their characters.
>>
>>53787015
>has to act out persuasion/intimidate checks
>doesn't have to act out lockpicking or athletics checks
Pleb.
>>
>>53786502
Have a puzzle that could make use of his wild shape. Show him how it could be used like to scout out an area, listen to a secret coversation as a spider, etc.
>>
>>53787064
>Not having a set of asymmetric bars in your basement for that purpose
>>
>>53787064
>I don't have to roleplay my character because you can't stab a dragon at the table
Hmmm...
>>
File: 1496709682760.jpg (120KB, 557x510px) Image search: [Google]
1496709682760.jpg
120KB, 557x510px
>>53787124
>"If you don't let us pass I'll kill you and your children"
>I remind the guard that heroism won't provide for his children
>>
>>53787015
That's different, obviously that's not acceptable when you're rolling something to make up for your own role-playing ineptitude.

but a player saying "I approach the innkeep and ask for a bed and a hot meal", there's nothing wrong with that. third person description is literally one of the recommended roleplaying methods in 5e, it's called "descriptive roleplaying" and it is definitely in the phb or the DMG I don't recall which

>>53787054
>>53787064
I don't think that's the same at all. Picking a lock or deciphering arcane runes are something that most people can't do. Anyone who isn't mute can talk and communicate their intentions and thoughts.

I wouldn't require my players to fully formulate a speech or anything like that, but I do make them give me the gist of what they're trying to accomplish/say.

>I want to explain to the city guard that we are adventurers contracted by the local guild to hunt some troglodytes in the city sewers, and as such we need to keep our weapons to complete our contract.

If a player can't say something like that then they should not be the ones doing the talking.
>>
>>53787064
>Implying I don't carve out the scabbard for the sword I found irl so I don't have to roll a dice
>>
>>53787101
>not having an entire simulated dungeon complex complete with trained martial artists dressed up like monsters and bandits
Plebians out.
>>
>>53787159
If his children are dead, why would anybody need to provide for them?
>>
>>53787170
honestly this should be a game show. contestants have to clear a dungeon like it was a gun range.
>>
>>53782302
take all of the invocations that involve eldritch blast
pick fiend as your patron because it gives you Fireball, since you only have two spells each day you'll want to cast the spell with the biggest impact (fireball)
pick pact of the tome and take some useful cantrips like Guidance and Mold Earth
>>
>>53787198
Literally Legends of the Hidden Temple, but all the PCs are pacifists or know they can't beat the monsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqI3bMMNOQ#t=1m45

Also, UK's Crystal Maze. I think they brought that back recently.
>>
Are there any older modules that focus on planar travel, Al Quadim, or just Genies?
>>
>>53787198
I'd watch someone doing 3 sword matches, especially if they had the fat guy from Coldsteel doing color commentary.
>>
>>53787161

> "I approach the innkeep and ask for a bed and a hot meal", there's nothing wrong with that

and no one ever argues against that except for the side you're supporting, I have never once seen the "roll for it" side of this argument support "I diplomacy the guard" with zero input, it's ALWAYS the "you the player have to actually convince me, the GM, of your argument" side that drags that strawman out.

>I don't think that's the same at all. Picking a lock or deciphering arcane runes are something that most people can't do.

much like making an actual irrefutable argument that turns the most hidebound of minds, a heroic speech that brings fire to the hearts of the downtrodden, a outrageous bluff that makes the implausible seem logical or any of the countless other things a "face" type character is supposed to do.

Fred sitting at the table hasn't likely spent a good portion of his life studying the art of speechcraft, but his character Remington the courtier has, no different than how Bob hasn't spent years learning to fight or live in the wilds but his character Ragnar the Skullcleaver has, or Tim hasn't spent years practicing lockpicking and stealth but Griff the Theif has.
>>
>>53787433
They've got some new "martial sport" where all the contestants wear CYBER ARMOR with sensors and shit and they just whack each other with weapons, and the sensors calculate force and damage.
>>
>fighting in arena as captives
>"Master" of arena, basically omnipotent homebrew representation of the DM
>+18 on attack rolls
>DM RPs him all cocky and he insults our party often
>playing dumb barb who wants to break out and/or kill his captors or die trying
>master comes to our cell
>reach out to throttle the Master
>DM surprisingly allows it, grapple checks with suffocation rule
>succeed against his strength check
>whoop legenary action to choose to beat me
>getting increasingly annoyed with this OP DMPC
>try two more times, succeed both
>legendary actions lelx2
>cocky enough to not move away from cells because he believes he's too powerful to be threatened
>nows my chance
>grab him a 4th time
>choke the fucker
>beat his strength checks 5 times in a row, 1 round for every point of CON mod as per suffocation rules
>reduce hitpoints of omnipotent god-master to 0
>roll to break his fucking neck
>double crits with advantage
>Master is ressurected, petrifies my character and kills him

What would you do/feel in this situation?
>>
>>53787484
Turn 360 degrees and walk away.
>>
File: armorfu2.jpg (33KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
armorfu2.jpg
33KB, 630x420px
>>53787462
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBhvUgxfUjk
>>
>>53787462
I watched one of their matches but it just turned into a grapple and there's no sounds when someone gets hit because of all the padding which makes it boring. I still maintain armed combat sports won't be interesting until the contestants are subject to painful electric shocks when hit.
>>
>>53787484
Quit. I also wouldn't have bothered tempting fate because I've read so many stories with people like that.
>>
>>53787501
>Turn 360 degrees
The correct would be 180
>>
>>53787544
thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>53786960
My GM outright says that he doesn't care about my persuasion rolls and only cares about I say in the dialogue. I am a rogue and I put my expertise in persuasion. I don't want my mechanical investment to be useless because the GM decided that it is arbitrarily so when every other skill gets to have a purpose.
For this reason, I will declare what I want to convince an NPC of and then roll whenever I think I can get away with it. Which isn't often, it amounts to bartering for the price of health potions occasionally and fucking whores during downtime.
>>
>>53780112
You could take a Behir from the MM and swap lightning breathe for ice.
>>
>>53787544
>Not being proficient in moonwalking
>>
>>53787484
The correct answer is to call the DM out on his bullshit and leave.
>>
my character had an alignment shift from the deck of many things to, from LE to NG

how does like my characters history impact on this? do they remember all the evil things and feel shameful or does it all adjust retroactively and they remember it different or something?
>>
>>53787484
choke the DM in real life
>>
File: 01110011 01100001 01100100.jpg (112KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
01110011 01100001 01100100.jpg
112KB, 720x480px
>>53783680

I think Warlocks should get 1 new spellslot every 4 levels after the 1st. So 5,9,13,17. You end up with 2 more at 20 than before BUT you end up with 4 at 10.

Going for 10 levels with only 2 spellslots is a joke and everyone knows this.

Even WOTC doesnt make any warlock NPCs without atleast 3 spellslots.
>>
>>53787675
You feel shame and need to repent
>>
>>53787753
ok, this is complicated by the fact im in service to an outsider (not a warlock just backstory). so assuming they will come after if i break away from them and im neutral, what do?
>>
>>53786337
>oh Gods the balor is coming right at us
>get down!
>BRRRRRRRRRT
>>
>>53787816
Find a friend who can cast banishment
>>
Can half-elves breed between each other? Can an isolated half-elf tribe be considered its own race after several generations of interbreeding? Can this race be given an unique name?
>>
>>53787895
>they call themselves Ha'lves
>>
>>53785590
Early guns don't have much of a place in D&D combat between small groups of individuals where one hit isn't fatal.

If you're not going to kill that orc or displacer beast or even a standard level 4 Fighter in one heavy crossbow shot, why the FUCK would you ever bring a gun that would necessitate you reload for the next 3-4 rounds? In that time, the Fighter has thrown eight javelins at you and is now in your fucking face.

That shit flew in the real world because it was easier to train a bunch of peasants to fire a musket than a longbow, and everyone was a little bitch getting into standing line fights and allowing ample time to reload. Your D&D adventuring party isn't playing by those rules. Even if the guns exist and the army regularly makes use of them, an adventurer would only carry one for first round damage potential, then he'd just sling it on his back and go sword and board.

And if you're playing in a later setting, like when percussion caps or actual cartridges have come into being, just treat everything like crossbows. There's not really a problem if you just have them supplant existing ranged weapons. But don't let your players run all over you with powder kegs or something; gunpowder burns, it doesn't explode.
>>
File: 1497228420802.gif (203KB, 680x768px) Image search: [Google]
1497228420802.gif
203KB, 680x768px
>vengeance paladin with GW fighting style
>GWM and Blade Mastery feat
Is this a sufficient build for rip and tear?
What should the target of my vengeance be?
>>
>>53787895
What do you get when you combine two halves? A whole.

They're Holvans.
>>
>>53787949
>What should the target of my vengeance be?
The cookie cutter that birthed you, maybe.
>>
>>53787954
How does the offspring become a whole if it's the combination of two different set of half-elves?
>>
>>53787949
>What should the target of my vengeance be?
Ancient black dragons
>>
File: shrug.jpg (46KB, 720x713px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
46KB, 720x713px
>>53787969
Fair enough. I never claimed it was a unique idea, doesn't make it horrible though.
>>
>>53787980
Because each parent only gives half of themselves. This is basic biology, buddy.
Two halves is a whole.
>>
File: (You).jpg (5KB, 234x230px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
5KB, 234x230px
>>53788033
>>
File: 1470000231887.jpg (420KB, 1024x1485px) Image search: [Google]
1470000231887.jpg
420KB, 1024x1485px
>>53787969
A well-executed cliche is almost always better than a concept that goes out of the way to be original.
>>
>>53787895
Depends on the setting
>>
>>53788066
What I'm trying to make, briefly, is a desert half-elf race, originally comprised of one human tribe and one elf tribe who lived harmoniously in isolated mountain ranges, but were removed from the world and had their land destroyed by the elven gods for the blatant cross-breeding with humans. The result is a nomadic half-elf desert tribe who only breed among themselves out of fear of having the gods remove yet another pure group.
>>
>>53788065
"Angry guy with a big sword" isn't the cliché I'm talking about, it's
>GWF GWM MARTIAL
>>
>>53785590
Guns exist, but gunpowder violently combusts when exposed to even small amounts of magic, making it impractical.

That issue can be avoided if you slap anti-magic wards on powder horns, guns, etc, but the cost of that is extremely prohibitive.

As for flares, cheap one use wands with a light cantrip.
>>
>>53788152
I see, my apologies.
>>
>>53788152
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Also this will be the first character I'm playing with that set up.
>>
Anyone here played the Adventurer's League adventure Flames of Kythorn? I took a look at it as a DM and found it a little confusing to start but the rest looks neat
>>
Is there anyway to make a strength monk work?
>>
Could a level 20 party kill a full power god?
>>
>>53788359
yes, resign yourself to mediocrity.
>>
>>53788374
technically no, but maybe the god's avatar. Leaving the actual god weakened for a period.
>>
>>53788415
My monk can jump 72 feet at the cost of only 1 ki point I have no idea what this mediocre thing is
>>
>>53788359
Strength robs you of your AC.
To fix that, you need to wear armor.
Wearing armor robs you of your damage.
To fix that, you need to use a weapon.
Now all you're missing is Dex saves. Whatever, you have Evasion and Dex proficiency, 1-2 points isn't gonna change much.
>>
>>53788441
>When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump.
Assuming you have 20 Strength and you're using Step of the Wind to double your jump distance, that's just 40 feet (which you have the Speed for, being a Monk or just because of the bonus Dash from Step of the Wind).
Where's the rest coming from?
40 foot jumps are still pretty good.
>>
>>53788539
My monk has 12 strength + a ring of jumping 120 foot jumps with 20 strenth if I manage to find a belt of giant strength
>>
>>53788359
monk 1-3/barbarian x or go mountain dwarf and get medium armor and smash shit with your hammer. not a super effective build, i've tried it myself and it's pretty fun. just focus on getting
>>53788374
if by party you mean 4-6 players and by full power god you mean tiamat, then yes. if by full power god you mean any of the greater deities that haven't been statted yet, then probably not
>>
>>53788565
I'm playing a Strength Monk and DO have a Belt of Giant Strength; specifically, King Hekaton's. 30 Strength. And the Mobile feat to offset my lowered Dwarf speed.
Now that I think about it, I can still get my bonus action 60 foot teleport even if it's not dark (Shadow Monk). I'm just jumping now instead of teleporting.
>35 speed with Dash for 70 movement
>10 to get up speed, then 30+30 jumping
Feels good. This'll be good to do next session considering I'm locked in a room with a giant fire elemental and all of my shadow shenanigans aren't available.
>>
>>53788691
Hilarious, god speed anon and good luck with your elemental
>>
File: storm.png (61KB, 350x410px) Image search: [Google]
storm.png
61KB, 350x410px
Why are desert and tundra auras so shit?
It seems like such an odd damage calculation.
>>
>>53788787
It's flat damage, ignores allies, is automatic (no save), and has a range of 10 feet. It's always doing something and can't fail unless Immune enemies show up. Compare that to something like Zealot's 1d6+(Barb/2), which is only five feet and hurts your allies.

Herald could probably use a slight damage boost, but whatever.
>>
File: 1496721157902_0.png (729KB, 1205x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1496721157902_0.png
729KB, 1205x1920px
Yo, so I've been playing a new 5e game with my GF's DM, we are playing a Ravenloft game. I usually play 3.5P and this is my first time playing 5e, I like it so far.

Anyway, my character is a female Scottish halfling bard name Lena Bismark. In our last session we came across two hunters in a camp along the road trying to hang someone that wouldn't die. Our warrior charged in and immediately initiated combat to save the girl. So the weapons come out and after a few close calls we had killed a couple of werewolves. And a revenant woman.

My question is, in the heat of the battle I was bitten, and assuming I failed my save DC I now am a werewolf. Doubtless the DM wants me to cure my disease, but I have other ideas. What is the splat for being a werewolf? Could I successfully roleplay one and still play the campaign?
>>
>>53789186
It's really convenient that you found a picture of a furry Scottish Barbarian.
>>
Anons! I want to convert the Tel-Amhothlan (a half-elf half-orc) from Kingdoms of Kalamar to 5e. Tell me how overpowered this first draft is!

3.0 stats for comparison: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tel-Amhothlan

Tel-Amhothlan
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Dexterity, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can instead choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. After using this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against being Charmed and are Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in the Perception skill.
Muddied Heritage: Tel-Amhothlans are chaotic breed and can favor either orcish or elvish aspects of their lineage. Choose the Orcish Brutality, Elvish Grace or Fae Magic subrace options.

Orcish Brutality:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.

Elvish Grace:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity
Fleet-Footed: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Natural Athlete: You have Proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Fae Magic:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Charisma
Mystic Talent: You can cast Prestidigitation and one other Wizard cantrip of your choice. Charisma is your casting ability score when casting the cantrips provided by this trait. At the DM's permission, at character creation, you can trade this racial feature for Drow Magic (PHB pg24) or Mul Daya Magic (Plane Shift: Zendikar pg19); this choice cannot be undone later.
>>
>>53789186
>I usually play 3.5P
>is now playing a furry
Like pottery.
>>
>>53789186
All the rules on playing a lycanthrope of any flavor are in a sidebar next to the Lycanthrope entry in the 5e MM.
>>
>>53789186
Get a pariapt of health and put it on just before you go full werewolf
>>
File: lycanrules.png (630KB, 437x821px) Image search: [Google]
lycanrules.png
630KB, 437x821px
>>53789242
>>53789186
>>
>>53789216
The main race scores a 19 in Detect Balance.
Orcish: 26
Elvish: 27
Fae: 27, or 29 with Drow Magic/Mul Daya kit. I'd advise removing that trade part.

Also, consider giving Con on the main race instead of Str, and giving Str to the Orcish. Str and Dex together are kinda wasted on Elvish.
>>
>>53789242
>>53789281

Thank you very much, I haven't gotten around to getting my own book yet and was in the midst of downloading from the Mega but wasn't sure where to start looking.
>>
whats a reasonable amount of time for an outlander to forage food for 4 people?
>>
>>53789436
Who cares?
Do you have your characters go to the toilet, too?
>>
>>53788565
technically, your jump distance is still hard capped at your movement speed.
>>
>>53789472
when the party is level 6 and travelling through dangerous and rough terrain on foot for 10+ days, yes, it matters.
>>
>>53789436
>>53789506
There are foraging rules in the DMG, and a table with information of how much food a character of a given size would need
>>
>>53789486
Not a huge problem for Monks, especially with Step of the Wind.

The Jump spell (triple distance) and Champion (double distance) kind of shoot the whole "capped at movement" thing in the foot, since it can be reasonably assumed that Jump will at one point be cast on someone with more than 6 Strength and Champions will have more than 10 Strength. Otherwise, particularly with the Champion feature, most of the feature does fucking nothing.
>wow you can jump twice as far
>except not, because your movement
>but i guess you get an extra 2-4 feet if your Strength isn't 20 yet, isn't this a great ribbon for an already situational act
>>
>>53789472
>scavenging for food is tedious
I remember having a campaign where we had to manage food, water, the weight of our gold and exhaustion rules for sleeping in armor.
food is by far the easiest to manage out of all of those and can provide some insight into whatever the DM will be throwing at you.
>>
>>53788441
>Be a strength monk
>Be shit but I guess you can jump further, I guess?

>>53789506
There are many questions to ask like 'aren't there any towns' 'can't you use horses' 'can't someone just carry a load of rations or are they too poor to afford it' 'couldn't they find another way around' and so forth
Though the thing is normally with these 10+ day treks is you only get maybe an encounter a day and you can just spam abilities
And also certain casters can just produce food, so unless you have no relevant casters...
In any case, to answer the question, it depends on the terrain since some places have more scarce food but as other anon said foraging rules from DMG would be good to check.
>>
>>53789531
Oh, but seemingly it doesn't give times. I would say 10 minutes per attempt would work, like for ritual casting. You can't make it take too long or you start messing with rest times
>>
>>53789555
I can see why some DMs or game types would want to manage food and water. Frontier settings, hexcrawls, survival games, a reason for the Ranger's existence, that sort of thing.

I can even understand the grog who wants to track gold weight. He's a fucking idiot, but I understand him.

But exhaustion for sleeping in armor? Not only does that not do anything (you cure exhaustion each long rest, so, what, only take off your armor to snooze if you have exhaustion from another source? how often do you get exhausted?) but it's fucking historically and physically wrong.
>>
>>53789570
>strength monk
It's called Fighter. Are you calling Fighters shit? Do you think a Fighter needs Action Surge to be worth anything?
>>
File: jumping.jpg (115KB, 511x833px) Image search: [Google]
jumping.jpg
115KB, 511x833px
>>53789542
>The Jump spell (triple distance) and Champion (double distance) kind of shoot the whole "capped at movement" thing in the foot, since it can be reasonably assumed that Jump will at one point be cast on someone with more than 6 Strength and Champions will have more than 10 Strength. Otherwise, particularly with the Champion feature, most of the feature does fucking nothing.

i dont disagree with you. but the "strict" ruling is that at most, your total jump distance would not be able to exceed what you could cover with a dash action (which you would need to use).
>>
>>53789570
I mean, if you're foraging for supplies and taking track of exactly how long a journey by foot would take the odds are that the DM is emulating old school wilderness hexcrawl thingies. Using mounts, carts etc. definitely is a thing on those and doesn't really invalidate them. There are rules for this sort of stuff in the DMG but nobody reads them
>>
>>53789555
5e is just very poorly suited to campaigns where you have to manage stuff like food, water, weight and .. It's not balanced for sleeping in armour, that's just kinda stupid, really. Suddenly the martials are being punished, and punished REALLY HARD if they don't have good dex, further making dex a harder stat to dump for flavour.
'By day I'm a 20 AC knight who protects everyone, but by night I'm a 9 AC peasant because despite my awesome physical prowess I can only sleep in a comfy bed naked!'

I, too, thought these things might be good ideas, but in the end it's all kinda stupid. At least 7 day long rest and 1 day short rest rules exist if you have the logic problem of 'why do all encounters happen within 8 hours rather than spread over the week' but ... Yeah, no. Goodberry. Create food/water. Whatever. Carry rules are just fiddley and tedious. You can improve carry rules too if you'd like, though.

Ultimately I think there are much better systems for food/water/etc management than a game about magicing around and stabbing dragons and dungeoneering in a day then packing in for the night.

>>53789623
Well, I guess a strength monk would be a fighter1/monkX thing that mostly just covers for their low level AC deficit.
>>
>>53789639
But the fucking jump spell is magic
>>
>>53789639
This image is PEAK CRAWFORD
>first answer just quotes the PHB and gives no greater insight into design; completely ignores or overlooks how stupid it is; clarifies nothing
>second answer is fucking wrong
Can't jump 60 feet with 30*2 speed because you're spending 10 to get the full distance of your long jump. It's 10 run, 50 jump.
>>
>>53789660
You're just playing a Fighter who has bonus Dodge, Stunning Blow, Evasion, Slow Fall, Deflect Arrows, and all the other Monk goodies that let them do weird shit while the Fighter's just over there swinging his sword every round.

All that for 1hp/level and delaying your Action Surge and ASIs slightly.
>>
>>53789688
I am sad that this is what D&D has become, I actually hurt deep down
>>
>>53789679
yes and? It still doesn't change what your maximum allowed movement is. The image even says as much.
>>
>>53789717
You don't understand, he's invoked the magic words:
>it's magic, please buff me because I'm playing a Wizard
WotC has no choice but to acquiesce.
Want to move that bookcase as a raging 24 Strength Barb? Yeah, you get advantage, but you're still rolling.
Want to move it as a Wizard polymorphed into a 17 Strength bear? Go ahead. In fact, why not move the whole wall? A bear could totally destroy a building with its razor-sharp talons. You cast a spell, after all.
>>
>>53789706
It's easier to compare to monk.
It's a monk that starts out with higher AC and is slightly behind the monk progression and either uses a rapier+shield to keep dex and more AC but have very low damage or greatsword and deal probably slightly less damage unless you use flurry of blows.
Good until level 8, starts to drop from there on as the normal monk starts to get decent stats.
>>
>>53789660
Even OD&D eventually turned into stabbing dragons and magicing around. People still ran survival games on those, in fact much more so than the current 5e userbase does. You can houserule away the bothersome spells, or at least nerf them.
>>
>>53789717
>your jump distance is tripled
I always just assumed that the spell lessened gravities effect on the target for the duration
>>
>>53789597
>>53789660
worst part was we had to by a horse and wagon to store all of our gold.
Goblins stole all of it while we were dungeon diving.:^)
Not as a plot hook, it was solely just to fuck with us.
>>
>>53789717
Fuck it, I have 80 dashing speed anyways who gives a shit
>>
>>53789757
Oh, and slower.

>>53789759
It's kind of a lot of faff, really.
After being around 5e for this long I've personally decided its best use is for dungeoneering, and you can still manage supplies like health and spells/whatever down there, and inventory. Less going into town and buying a truckload of food to bring with you, more that 'oh shit there's undead that pop up if their corpses aren't blessed and we forgot to bring holy water we need to find an alternative with the items we have'

>>53789807
I mean.. It's not unfair, but yet also, it's kinda unfair.
>>
>>53789764
yeah, i mean i would LIKE if the jump spell/ring of jumping/boots of striding springing affected the max distance. But it isn't what the rules say. If i was running a game I would rule it the other way but on a forum such as this it is important to distinguish ACTUAL rules from house rules.

>>53789820
>Fuck it, I have 80 dashing speed anyways who gives a shit
as long as you spend that dash action.
>>
>>53789836
Its a bonus action on both anyways and in combat when I'm jumping 70 feet will I really need to punch someone
>>
>>53789826
>Less going into town and buying a truckload of food to bring with you
The resource management on a hexcrawl is a means to an end, though. You don't just lie around the whole game rolling dice and describing your characters having lunch. It's a complement to sandbox exploration, not the entirety of the game
>>
>>53789757
Yeah, but a Fighter1/Monk8 has 20 AC and does 1d8+7 *2 with a spare feat while the Monk9 is locked into being a Wood Elf or Meme Human with a quarterstaff for 1d8+5 *2 +1d6+5 and has 18 AC at best with both of his ASIs devoted to maxing Dex and two dump stats. Is 1d6+1 worth that lower AC and your bonus action every round? Shit, Fighter could take Shield Master and spend his bonus action every round getting advantage on all his attacks.

And I don't even want to get into PAM/GWM comparisons.
>>
Does this mean it's literally pointless to spend more than 1 Psi on Mighty Leap?
>>
>>53789836
>your jumping distance is magically tripled
>but don't jump too far :^)
>>
>>53789322
Hmm... maybe; in 3.0, Tel-Amhothlans differed from Half-Orcs in that they were +2 Dex instead of +2 Strength, had Low-Light Vision instead of Darkvision and Light Sensitivity, got +1 to all perception skills, and had a +1 bonus to saves against Enchantments.
>>
>>53789905
For the most part, that seems to just sound like an unnecessary extra.

If you do get stranded without your food and your gear and turn on the survival mode, I think that works. Otherwise it's just negligence to write down your food.

>>53789924
As a variant human monk, you can pick up mobile and use your incredible speed to run in, punch and hide away again.
So not only do you do more damage, but you make up for your slight AC deficit by enemies not even being able to hit you at all.
And you'll be one level ahead, so you'll be the first to grab whatever the latest monk feature is along with an extra ki point. Some of the later monk features are pretty good.
While the fighter-monk does have the freedom to take feats instead of upping their dex to 20 (having even lower attack, not that they had much anyway) upping dex is still good for stealth, initiative, whatever. Don't forget you're even slower in plate armour if you don't have 15 strength and you need at least 13 wis 13 dex too there and probably want decent con.

Level 8 is more the point where they're fairly evenly matched and from then on monk gets better in comparison. Of course, games aren't normally up that end.
>>
>>53789924
>PAM 18 AC
>2d10+10+1d4+5 = 28.5
>GWM 18 AC
>4d6+30 = 44 but not really come on
>Monk 18 AC
>2d8+10+1d6+5 = 27.5

>Tavern Brawler FoB Defense 21 AC
>2d10+10+2d4+10 = 36
>Tavern Brawler FoB Dueling 20 AC
>2d8+14+2d4+10 = 38
>Monk FoB 18 AC
>2d8+10+2d6+10 = 36

pretty spicy armormonks
>>
>>53790027
The whole "mobile to get in and out with Monk speed" requires level 14, or Wood Elf 10. You have to move 30 feet beyond the enemy, but each turn you want to attack that also means moving 30 feet towards them. You'll need 65 speed.

So this is only viable at lower levels if you have a bruiser standing next to the enemy already, at which point any character with Mobile or Disengage-on-attack (that one Rogue archetype) could do the same thing.

Unless you use the level 9 unarmored movement enhancement to run up a wall and hide in the ceiling. Which is viable and a thing you should do.
>>
>>53790086
>Shadowfightermonk
>every round I teleport away from the enemy, into the ceiling
>fall on his head
>cave his skull in with a hammer
>every
>fucking
>round
If this were an action RPG, this is the character that spends every combat screaming HELMCRUSHER HELMCRUSHER HELMCRUSHER HE-HE-HELM CRUSHER because his attack has only one associated voice line
>>
>>53790041
Don't forget that flurry of blows still works even if you have a greatsword or whatever if I remember correctly.

So honestly the best pairing would probably be GWM because that only osmetimes give you a bonus attack, maybe? PAM would be worth it if you combined it with GWM but since you're not a proper fighter I'm not sure PAM+GWM is as worth it.

>>53790086
It's not that simple. A lot of enemies are faster than that.
What's different is that your allies can set up traps, you can bonus action dash, you can use shadow monk's bonus action teleport, you can stay in melee one turn then run away the next rather than go in and out every turn, you can run behind allies that're already tanky (Say, they have plate armour, shield, haste and all that to give them ridiculous AC or it's a barbarian) and they'd take a reaction attack chasing you, you could run behind a door and close it though I guess it's up to the DM if you can hold it shut at the end of your turn...
Oh, the running up a wall thing sounds possible.

It certainly can't be used all the time but you can probably use it maybe half the turns, and half the turns of not getting hit is pretty neat, I'd say.
>>
>Mobile and Sharpshooter Monk
>Shoot bow, run 5 ft closer and kick in the nads, back up 5 ft
Ez "almost" GWM.
>>
New thread: >>53790228
>>
>>53790192
>forced to be a Kensai
>missing out on all those sweet Shadow spells
>>
>>53790192
Reminds me of sinjid's battle arena and many other games like it
>Throw something
>stand around
>walk up
>hit
>walk away again
>enemy walks up
>hits you
>walks away again
>>
>>53790237
No reason you can't do it as other kinds of Monk. I'm doing it with a Long Death Monk with Close Quarters Shooter instead of Mobile and it's working well.
>>
>>53790268
>No reason you can't do it as other kinds of Monk
Gotta get longbow proficiency somehow. Or are you another Elf meme?
>>
>>53789713
That's it's now more about fun and not rules autism?
>>
>>53790319
You could do it with darts.
>>
>>53790347
You could. But isn't the point to do lots of damage? I assume you'd want the most powerful rapid-firing ranged weapon you can.
>>
>>53790416
I mean it's not ideal for dealing damage but you can still use the same technique.
>>
>>53790347
>>53790470
You can use a Shortbow or just use Darts because they do 1d6 at level 5 anyways.

With SS that's a 60ft ranged attack, which while not super long is decent when coupled with Monk movespeed
>>
>>53787895
The children would be either elf, human or half elf about evenly split.
So all of the humans and elves who bred would make more halfelves.
The elves and half elves would make either elves or half elves
The humans only humans and halfelves

So the community would continually be H E HE until one side either H or E outbred the other and their were only H and HE or E and HE
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.