[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ DnD 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 29

File: latest[1].png (257KB, 450x776px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
257KB, 450x776px
>>53650268
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Archive of Shitposting:
>>53650268

What warlocks should be like edition. What should warlocks be like?
>>
>>53657691
Better
>>
>>53657691
We already had a Warlock edition, but whatever.

Isn't the guy in your OP pic closer to a Binder in the movie? He makes pacts with his "friends on the other side" that grant him mystical powers, and seems to be able to negotiate with them at least a little bit.

I could deal with playing as him.
>>
>>53657684
Not so. If the thorns are hard, I cannot possibly enter their area or move within them. Each step I take will be atop them.

Spike Growth literally cannot deal damage.
>>
>>53657731
>He makes pacts with his "friends on the other side"
how is that not a warlock?

>>53657741
fuinny, right here in the spell it says it does. Strange...
>>
>>53657765
It's the multiple that makes him more like a Binder. Whereas Warlocks have one specific pact with one being, Binders have multiple pacts that can wear off for another pact.
>>
>>53657731
>He makes pacts with his "friends on the other side" that grant him mystical powers, and seems to be able to negotiate with them at least a little bit.

I don't know what a binder is, but this is straight out of warlock fluff in 5e. You make a pact with a patron dawg.
>>
>>53657790
no reason a patron cannot be a collective.
>>
>>53657741
>Spike Growth literally cannot deal damage

but the rules say that it can. ergo, Spike Growth deals damage. 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 ft. traveled through it, specifically

you're more than welcome to implement a house rule that says otherwise if you ever DM your own game, or convince the DM you already have to implement such a rule, but all else, you'll just have to follow the rules as they're written, friend :)
>>
>>53657765
>>53657823
Spike Growth says it deals damage if you enter its area.
You cannot enter its area.
>>
>>53657791
A Binder makes short pacts with "vestiges" in order to gain small amounts of their power, in return for doing favors for them or taking on parts of their aspect. The difference is that while Warlocks have one pact for life, Binders have the option to re-negotiate their pact every long rest, or get a new pact with a different vestige by foregoing their old pact. They played as a jack of all trades, master of none class that could be different skill sets every night, but never anything that's really overpowered.
>>
>>53657790
>Binders have multiple pacts that can wear off for another pact.

Imagine a warlock making pacts with numerous patrons and then all of those pacts being consolidated into one ultra-pact from some mediating patron. A cosmic debt collector, basically. Sounds kind of neat.
>>
>>53657741
>tfw you get baited into making the retard argument
Do you have any self control?
>>
>>53657842
I'm emailing wizards now with this monumental find! Don't worry anon i'll make sure to credit you when i win a Pulitzer.
>>
>>53657852
I see. That could probably be rolled into a warlock subclass, with your patron being the collective of minor spirits and beings that your warlock is getting power and knowledge from.
>>
>>53657808
I get the feeling that the more power a Warlock required the more you needed to narrow down your sources, but that's totally subjective since even the exact metaphysical mechanical differences between a Cleric and a Warlock are vague at best, especially since you can be both Clerics OR Warlocks of stuff like Demon Lords and Infernal Dukes.
>>
>>53657860
One cannot possess the self; the self is all there is.
>>
>>53657842
even better, now making a ranger that can wall off entire areas that no creature can enter.
>>
>>53657882
Go away zet.
>>
>>53657878
actually, you can easily say that your warlock gains more power as more "friends" enter into the collective. You could fluff it that each spell and invocation is another "friend" that you are calling upon.
>>
>>53657888
All it does is prevent you from entering the ground that it's cast on, which was already the case unless you were a creature with a Burrowing speed.

You might be able to use it to form a bridge over lava though, depending on whether your DM considers that ground due to its high density or a true fluid that you'd sink into.
>>
>>53657882
I'll take you seriously the moment you start talking in the first person.
>>
>>53657842
>you cannot enter its area
>implying area means an object's mass/the matter of the object

Yes you can. Its "area" would be the flat, two-dimensional space that it occupies.

Suppose you spill water; the water occupies an "area" on the floor where the water is. You can enter the area by stepping on the water.

You're thinking in terms of volume or mass. If a sponge was thrown into the area of the spilled water, then the water's volume/mass would enter the sponge.

If I was your DM, at this point I would smite you for being a piece of shit that's taking thirty minutes to resolve a simple action because you've got some fetish for being difficult
>>
>>53657911
>Otherworldly Patron: the Multi-Level Marketer
>>
>>53657876
You mean, like it was in 4e?
>>
>>53657925
>All it does is prevent you from entering the ground that it's cast on
which is fantastic your an archer ranger. Cast it in front of you, no one can possibly get near you. Fire away.
>>
>>53657808
This is true, a kind of Binder Pact (or Vestige Pact)

Instead of one single patron, you establish pacts with many, less powerful beings.
>>
>>53657947
I'd play it.
>>
>>53657957
You don't understand. They can walk atop it, just as anything can already walk ATOP the ground. Its effects only apply if you enter the area, but since it is a solid object it cannot be entered any more than you can "enter" a road.

If you're standing on the grass and step onto a concrete sidewalk and continue to move, are you "entering the concrete" or "moving within concrete"? Obviously not.
>>
>>53657996
from one shitposter to another, this is embarrassing.
>>
>>53657996
>but since it is a solid object
i dont recall anywhere in the spell description it saying it was a solid object.

You're argument is like saying you can't enter a forest, house, pool, or area of fog.
>>
>>53657996
Would you still be in the grass's area if you stepped onto the concrete?
>>
File: nostromos.jpg (20KB, 444x432px) Image search: [Google]
nostromos.jpg
20KB, 444x432px
>>53657996
>tfw godlike Wizards with 20 Intelligence and the ability to alter the very nature of reality can't define their spells well enough to make them do anything
>>
>>53658036
The thorns are hard. Solid.
A house has an interior, a forest is a collection of trees, and so on. Of course you can enter them. You can't enter the constituent matter they're made of, though.

>>53658042
You were never in the grass's area to begin with, you were on top of it.

>>53658050
Spike Growth isn't a Wizard spell and I don't think anyone has ever suggested anyone at WotC has more than 14 Int and that guy's the accountant.
>>
>>53658123
>a forest is a collection of trees
and spiked growth is a collection of spikes and thorns. You DO know that it's not just one giant spike, right?
>>
>>53658170
But you can stand on top of all the thorns and vines. You can't stand on a tree unless you're some kind of wuxia master who weighs nothing. And if you are standing on individual leaves of a tree, you're not in the tree, nor are you in the forest beneath you; you are above the forest canopy, out of the forest.
>>
So, what Patrons do folks think are left for Warlocks in this edition?

In 4e, we had Fiend, Fae, Stars, Dark, Vestige, and Sorcerer King.

In 5e, so far, we've had Fiend, Fae, Great Old One, Undying, Celestial, Hexblade, and Raven Queen.
>>
>>53658199
>But you can stand on top of all the thorns and vines
you can also stand among them, like you would with a forest and it's trees.
>>
>>53658241
You are standing among trees, within a forest. There is no "group of thorns" like a forest is a "group of trees". So you can stand among thorns, but not within them. The spell only damages creatures "inside the area of" or "moving within"; can you move INSIDE a tree? Not a hole in a tree, a solid fucking tree.
>>
File: cuck.jpg (85KB, 399x374px) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
85KB, 399x374px
>>53658320
>can you move INSIDE a tree? Not a hole in a tree, a solid fucking tree.
I can, but i'm not a cuck like you.
>>
So wizards confirmed cavalier as one of the subclasses in the next book. Am I the only person who hopes thwy improve it by the release.
>>
>>53658352
>the only way to take damage from Spike Growth is to cast 3E's Transport Via Plants
>>
>>53658201
Celestial replaces Undying.
>>
What are the benefits of playing a dwarf martial instead of a half-orc one?
>>
>>53658408
Undying Light (positive energy) and Undying (liches and super zombies) aren't the same thing. They were just lazy with names.
>>
>>53658396
What's there to improve, anon? They get a whole TWO archetypes, and Wizard only gets Lore Wizard. I think we can stop here and call it balanced.
>>
I like how this nigga has basically reduced the spell he previously pushed as an amazing loads of damage gimmick to uselessness just to try to be right even after people have worked around this issue.
>>
>>53658414
your beard will be that much greater.
>>
File: 1487114295828.jpg (84KB, 585x599px) Image search: [Google]
1487114295828.jpg
84KB, 585x599px
>>53658414
Do you *want* to play a dwarf?
>>
File: totally a cleric guys.jpg (266KB, 979x1727px) Image search: [Google]
totally a cleric guys.jpg
266KB, 979x1727px
How would you create a tiefling "cleric" while ignoring the actual cleric class? I was thinking maybe Bard with Sorcerer levels, but now I'm thinking just going full Celestial Warlock. Which would be more fun?
>>
>>53658414
not being shot on sight in large parts of certain settings
>>
>>53658439
summer fags, amirite?
>>
>>53658462
>Which would be more fun?
We aren't you, anon. We can't tell you what you would find fun.
>>
>>53658462
Favored soul
>>
>>53658462
Celestial warlock or favoured soul sorcerer.
>>
>>53658462
Favored Soul Sorcerer or Celestial Warlock are the immediate options that spring to mind. If you want to keep the books a secret or go with the "I'm a religious scholar!" angle, you could go with the Theurge Wizard.

>>53658430
That's probably why they made Celestial into its own patron and had it eat the Undying Light.
>>
>>53658462
she is far too thick
>>
>>53658439
>try and be right
I've succeeded. Spike Growth is dead.
GIVE ME ANOTHER TARGET.
>>
>>53658462
Just play a Paladin they're basically the same thing except they use Charisma instead of Wisdom for some reason.
>>
>>53658554
your skull.
>>
Why is Maze Arcana so...not good?
They have so much potential yet they were still the lowest points of the Stream.
>>
What do you think are the subclasses that will make it to Xanathar's guide to everything?
I really want the primeval guardian to be official.
>>
>>53658554
What would you do if there were thread IDs? Use a proxy, or kill yourself until next thread?
>>
>>53658586
Explain further?
>>
>>53658414
+ Sweet beard
+ People in town like you
+ Can't hit your head in doorways
+ Laugh when someone poisons the party's food and drink, or better yet, play along and beat the shit out of them when they come to collect you
+ FINE DWARVEN CRAFTSMANSHIP
+ Spot all the hidden doors and solve the mysteries of the dungeon because 90% of dank ruins are ancient dwarven buildings
+ It's easy not being green
+ Superior dental hygiene
+ 2/2 racial stats
= Still probably a rape-baby
+ No one knows you're a rape-baby
- Can't reach the top shelf
- Features aren't as good in combat
- Slower
- Not the result of a eugenics program
= Also from space
>>
>>53657741
>>53657765
>>53657823
>>53657842
If you goddamn chucklefucks are this autistic and retarded, you have no reason to complain about Reddit.
>>
>>53658586
What were the high points of the Stream?
>>
>>53657842
>hurr hurr I interpret game mechanics according to a narrow particular literal interpretation that benefits me.
>A creature's space is the area in feet that it effectively controls in combat, not an expression of its physical dimensions.
>A spell's effect expands in straight lines from the point of origin. If no unblocked straight line extends from the point of origin to a location within the area of effect, that location isn't included in the spell's area. To block one of these imaginary lines, an obstruction must provide total cover.

As far as the game is concerned, "area" is the various 5' squares the creature or effect exists in, which can be shared unless otherwise stated (e.g. you cannot end your movement in the same square as an enemy of the same size category as you). If a creature enters a square that is also part of Spike Growth's area, it takes the damage.

Since you're being technical and pedantic, you don't even have to touch the spikes to take the damage. You just have to enter the area or move within it. And Spike Growth never provides cover, so it can't block itself.
>>
>>53658730
Joe in a t-shirt.
>>
>>53658773
Wrong.
>>
>>53658813
>He's out of ideas so he resorts to "n..n...nuh uh!"
>>
>>53658588
Here's my guess

>Barb:
Ancestral Guardian, Storm Herald
>Bard:
Swords and Whispers
>Cleric:
Forge, Grave
>Druid:
Shepherd, Twilight
>Fighter:
Cavalier, Arcane Archer
>Monk:
Kensei, Drunken Master
>Paladin:
Conquest, Redemption
>Ranger:
Deep Stalker, Horizon Walker
>Rogue:
Inquisite and Scout are the only options
>Sorc:
Favored Soul, Phoenix
>Warlock:
Hexblade, Celestial
>Wizard
Loremaster

tell me why im wrong or a faggot
>>
>>53658451
I think we need an argument detector over here >>53658813
>>
>>53657691
Warlocks should be EB spammers, nothing more.
>>
>>53658730
Mearls' game
Dragon Friends
Dylan Sprouse's game
>>
>>53658706
>If you goddamn chucklefucks are this autistic and retarded
I assure you sir, I am not autistic.
>>
At what size would you allow a monster to wield a two handed weapon in 1 hand

Like if I had a large undead guard watching over a house, and gave it a glaive and a shield. How big should he be
>>
>>53658866
>Lorewizard

That'd be a bold move, especially since most tables would just outright ban it so they wasted money printing the page.
>>
>>53658858
I'll respond when he posts something that actually refutes anything in or relates to the disussion we were having. That argument was nothing but non-sequiturs. Go be ass-blasted somewhere else.
>>
>>53658414
Take the racial feats UA and play a tanking monk.

That's about it.
>>
Are there any chances that the Revised Ranger will be included in Xanathar's?
>>
>>53658909
Large. The creature size.
>>
>>53658866
If this rendition of Cavalier makes it in over Knight I'll throw a fit
>>
>>53658948
Probably especially since they already told everyone to use that instead of the PHB anyway.
>>
>>53658972
link pls
>>
>>53658948
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/871592041204994050

Probably not but... maybe.
>>
>>53658866
>Sorc:
>Favored Soul, Phoenix
if stone sorc doesn't make it, imma choke a bitch.
>>
>>53658909
That's one of the things I loved about 3.5. There were sometimes doubts but they were rare, otherwise you usually had an iron-clad set of rules to follow.
>>
>>53658935
>trying to use "not an argument" after responding to an argument with rule citations, and clear definitions
You brought an argument this time, but you don't seem to refute anything posted, most likely because it uses the rules in the book as opposed to ignoring the rules for areas of spells, and spaces of creatures. And when you're in a discussion about rules you'll find that you only dig yourself deeper the more you stray from the actual text.
>>
>>53659101
but a large creature in 5e can already wield a two-handed weapon (for a medium creature) in one hand
>>
>>53659017
Fuuuuck man. I really hope it makes the cut.
>>
So spike memes aside what is the best way to get the most mileage out of the Ranger class with no multi-classing? The only thing it seems to bring to the table is being able to hide in broad daylight but that's just begging for a Rogue multi-class.
>>
>>53658909
Any size that fits what I'm going for with it.
>>
>>53659140
UA? Beastmaster with a wolf for pack tactics.
PHB? Small race with a medium flying pet that you ride on, giving you flight from level 3.
>>
How do I get good at adjusting/homebrewing creatures? I wanna use some humans for my party to fight against and don't just wanna use 8 MILLION BANDITS, but everything other than that is way too high level for them to fight.
>>
>>53659140
ranger is essentially a fighter/rogue/druid multiclass in 5e. Its biggest problem is its lack of identity.
I realize this doesn't help you any way, but i just wanted to say it.
>>
>>53659203
What level are your players? A simple way to do it would be to give the humanoids PC classes.
>>
>>53659140
Get your enemies to all stand within 10ft of a point and use volley.
>>
>>53659203
>How do I get good at adjusting/homebrewing creatures?
Don't. just reskin and replace.
Give bandits different weapons, use orcs, goblins, kobolds, say they are human. etc.
>>
>>53659203
Take bandit stats, change their weapons armor and say they're something else
>>
>>53659130
Could you readily quote the rule for me please? That's how I run it but I always mix the previous editions experience into my 5e campaigns. And hence comes my complaintt, since 3.5 was ultra-specific while 5e gives a lot of leeway. It depends on the DMing style.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (82KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
82KB, 1x1px
Oops, I put this in the wrong thread. Here's my work in progress warlock stuff. I wanted to get your opinion on the bladelock changes before I move on with making more invocations.
>>
File: YHVH.gif (37KB, 300x348px) Image search: [Google]
YHVH.gif
37KB, 300x348px
Oath of Conquest or how I became a Lawful Evil asshole.
>>
>>53659203
The only time you should be full on homebrewing monsters is if you're making some boss type character

Generally just reskinning monsters and maybe changing 1 or 2 abilities around is enough
>>
>>53658959
Cavalier and Knight are adaptions of different things, have completely different features, and Cavalier was developed separately from Knight. Why do people think one is supposed to replace the other?
>>
>>53659310
Warlocks don't make sense as an int-based caster base. They should either have a patron or invocation to become int-based.

I like the inclusion of extra attack into PotB base.

Smites should not be tied to specific weapons, but instead specific patrons and allow the Warlock to choose their weaponshape.
>>
>>53659203
Well, there's also cultists, nobles, guards, and tribal warriors at 1/8, same as bandits.

Go a bit higher and at 1/4 you get acolytes and apprentice wizards; and at 1/2 you find scouts and thugs.
>>
>>53659310
Maybe include an Eldritch Strike cantrip as a melee version of Eldritch Blast?
>>
I'm thinking of doing a campaign in a modified Spelljammer setting, and I just thought about the possibility of Druids and Rangers with a Space focus. Any ideas on how to do this? What creatures could a Space Ranger have as a companion? What spells would a Circle of the Land Druid with an affinity to Space learn?
>>
>>53659723
IIRC, warlocks were int based in the playtest. It does make sense from a lore perspective: you're delving for forbidden knowledge.

You're right on the smites, in my next version I'll make it non form exclusive. My one concern is that some of the effects might be overpowered when allowed with ranged weapons.
>>
Does anyone play music at certain times during the campaign, just to add immersion, and if so, what kind of music do you play?
>>
>>53659788
You're not delving for forbidden knowledge, you're bargaining for power from Eldritch entities.
>>
>>53659832
I made a couple of playlists for my sessions. For combat, mostly heavy metal and for exploration folk songs or ambient music. I plan to make an adventure based on the 4 elemental albums of Mastodon someday, so there's that too.
>>
>>53659788
Forbidden knowledge is still wizard in a sense

Warlock is selling your soul to a higher power in exchange for magical abilities
>>
>>53659853
It's both.
>>
Opening it up to an informal poll, interested to get /5eg/'s thoughts on the warlock stat question.

https://strawpoll.com/aww32yx
>>
Reposting. Need some good reference material for an Arabian country, was wondering how the 2e Al-Quadim books are.
>>
>>53659786
Speaking of a space setting, how could a crafty PC breathe in the vacuum of space?
>>
>>53659901
According to the class, you don't have to be aware that's what you're doing.

And they describe a GOOlock as making their pact "while poring over tomes of forbidden lore" and having their mind "opened to realities beyond the material world and to the beigns that dwell in the outer void."

It's just that after making such a pact, you're no longer satisfied sitting back and reading. You want to go out into the world, to discover new secrets better left forgotten.
>>
>>53659945
An oxygen tank and pressure suit.
>>
File: 1495903251410.jpg (36KB, 552x450px) Image search: [Google]
1495903251410.jpg
36KB, 552x450px
>>53659934
If you leave answers that are clearly incorrect available people are bound to choose them.
>>
>>53659981
In the current setting timeline smartasd
>>
>>53659945
>pick a race that doesn't need to breathe (e.g. Warforged)
>magical items that generate breathable air

I'm sure there are other ways
>>
>>53659945
If space is like our space then there would be spells to survive in it, most likely.
>>
>>53659945
Vacuum of space?

Pfft. That's ridiculous. Everyone knows it just gets colder the higher you go, if you have enough warm clothing and a fly spell, you can go right into the outer void.

It's just out there, there's no light, so you can't see as well.

After all, as we all know, the sun doesn't produce sunlight.
>>
>>53659689
I'm saying Knight is a better and more interesting subclass than Cavalier. The current Cavalier sucks. Its not interesting. Its not cool. Its a turd sandwich.
>>
>>53659998
An oxygen tank and pressure suit.
The current setting has spaceships, Anon.
also
>magic
>>
>>53660003
With the current rules and spells
>>
File: AlexanderDive3.jpg (36KB, 450x432px) Image search: [Google]
AlexanderDive3.jpg
36KB, 450x432px
>>53659998
Reverse diving bell.
>>
>>53660008
Then use knight. The UA hasn't been deprecated and we're still yet to see if it gets in somewhere
>>
>>53660000
I thought of a method of ritually casting waterbreathing and using a decanter of endless water
>>
>>53660007
It's ok I have dark vision
>>
>>53657691
>What should warlocks be like?
Non-celestial
>>
One of my players is level 5 a Circle of the Shepard Druid, And we're currently playing the Curse of Strahd campaign. After the UA yesterday, this player voiced his opinion to me that he thinks the Unicorn Spirit Totem should be buffed in some way, either by granting druid level + Wisdom Modifier hit points, or by extending who can use the healing to allies other than the druid.

I was already considering using Yesterhill to tie into this character's backstory, and I think it would be neat to provide him with some sort of buff as he desires for dealing with Yesterhill and roleplaying.

Is this a bad idea? Will it make my other player's jealous? Should I not modify this kind of stuff?
>>
>>53659992
Are you the guy who chose str, out of spite? Well str is fine. Zyzz is my patron. Through his teachings I have gained much knowledge about forbidden gains, and through his teachings, I know that I'm gonna make it brah.
>>
>>53660091
It's kind of amusing since one of the existing types of pact (archfey) is often made with beings who used to be Celestials (Eladrin lords)
>>
File: 1414652839404.jpg (103KB, 780x690px) Image search: [Google]
1414652839404.jpg
103KB, 780x690px
>>53659937
Try medieval middle east history.
>>
>>53660156
Eladrin are only Fey in 4E and using the name of the Celestial Eladrins from past editions who happened to like nature but are explicitly NOT Fey.

Fey and Celestials are nothing alike outside of 4E's weird desire to completely fuck the planes forward, back, and sideways.
>>
>>53660215
No one should mistake Good Fey for CG Outsiders like Eladrin just because Eladrin like trees and have pointy ears. No one mistakes Evil Fey for CE outsiders like Demons, after all because they're much worse.
>>
>>53660096
It doesn't need a buff. Unicorn has higher potential healing. Bear doesn't require using spell slots.
>>
>>53660215
Also in the 5e DMG.
>>
>Divine
>Infernal/abyssal

>Undead
>Life

>Elemental
>Arcane

>Astral
>Void

What's the "opposite" of Fey then?
>>
>>53660117
>tfw he gave me the inspiration to start lifting
>tfw no one invites me to games anymore because they're intimidated
>tfw I will never get to thank him

Eldritch Invocation: Child of Gains
You count as one size larger for the purposes of lifting, pushing, or dragging an object

Eldritch Invocation: Made It
You gain proficiency in Intimidation checks against the same sex, and Persuasion checks against the opposite sex. This becomes expertise if you are already proficient. You subtract your proficiency bonus from all other Charisma checks.
>>
>>53660339
Nice, normal, and mundane people.
>>
>>53660339
Straight
>>
>>53660339
Whatever comes from the Far Realms maybe?
>>
>>53660319
Boy, are you gonna be confused when Chult starts talking about Tabaxi and describes a black dude instead of a cat man.
>>
>>53660339
Shadowfell. Fey represents Life in your post
>>
>>53660339
Also Undead and Shadows. Fey is just a Positive-tinted plane. >>53660371 is spot on.
It should be noted that the previous version of the Shadowfell (the Plane of Shadow) wasn't Negative-aspected, it was perfectly equal. Only through Shar's fuckery was it merged with even more Negajuice and turned into a real shitty place.
>>
>>53660339
>What's the "opposite" of Fey then?
consensual.
>>
File: 1473549813146.png (569KB, 565x668px) Image search: [Google]
1473549813146.png
569KB, 565x668px
I'm joining a new campaign and we're starting at level 5. I'm thinking of making an Eldritch Knight because the idea of a knightly wizard sounds fun to me. How good is the Eldritch Knight, and what are some tips for playing one?
>>
>>53660215
Of course. Nothing alike.

This gossamer-winged forest dwelling sprite like being could never be mistaken for a Fey.
>>
>>53660339
Straight Virgin
>>
>>53660399
t h i s

>>53660404
All EKs take Shield and Absorb Elements and spend all their spell slots on that to be some invincible megatank. 50/50 split on whether they're a GWM/PAM-swinging shitheel or a Dex build with a rapier.
>>
>>53660339
Raven Queen
>>
>>53660411
>Guardinals are Beasts
>Rangers can make an Ursinal their animal companion
Yeah, nah.
Everything in the Upper Planes likes fucking nature, man, half of them are lithe, and half of those have fucking wings.
>>
>>53660404
Knightly wizard may be a bit of an exaggeration for EK. You're a fighter with some very limited and slow-growing wizard casting. If you're interested in doing caster shit without completely abandoning melee, go Bladesinger instead
>>
>>53660404
You are the tankiest Fighter subclass, but you shouldn't really focus on being a damage dealer. Stack defensive spells like False Life, Shield, etc. Take High Strength but don't worry about your Int stat because you'll mostly use your spells like Shield, Haste, etc that don't rely on your stats.
>>
File: eladgtul.gif (75KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
eladgtul.gif
75KB, 300x360px
>>53660470
I'm just saying they straddle the line between celestial and fey pretty closely. There's a reason why the DMG says that Elves born in Arborea have the celestial type.

See also this Tulani Eladrin, also known as Faerie Lords. Servant of Morwel, the Faerie Queen.
>>
>>53660371
>>53660398
I like this answer actually. In a general sense, I wouldn't really think of fey as the same concept as life though that makes sense. Shadow being the opposite of fey makes sense to me as far as just concepts/domains go.
>>
>>53660562
The idea is that in the D&D cosmology they're both mirrors of the prime material, but the feywild is closer to the Positive Energy Plane and the Shadowfell is closer to the Negative Energy Plane
>>
>>53660569
SCAG. Only elves can be bladesingers in official settings but since it's mostly a flavor restriction, a lot of DMs will overlook it. You'd have to ask
>>
>>53658201
Sorcerer King will come out with Dark Sun, there's no doubt about that.

Stars would be cool, not sure where they would put it though. Maybe Dragonlance? Been a while since I looked at the setting but it's gods and shit are in star signs right? So a Warlock who makes a pact with something else in the stars could be worked in.
>>
>>53660532
Really I mostly want to be a caster who wears heavy armor, like the picture in >>53660404 shows. Like the Arcane equivalent of a Paladin.
>>
>>53658665
>Laugh when someone poisons the party's food and drink, or better yet, play along and beat the shit out of them when they come to collect you
You wouldn't happen to be the Dwarven Fighter/Shadow Monk would you? He's posted his story about this before.
>>
>>53660625
Nah. Just seems like the thing to do.
>>
>>53658866
>Swords and Whispers
Swords yes but I doubt Whispers would get in.

>Conquest, Redemption
I fucking hope Redemption dies in a pit and they make something else, no one enjoys playing with pacifists and that's just asking for one.

>Favored Soul, Phoenix
Stone Sorcerer would've gotten much better feedback, people want nothing but more gish options.

>Loremaster
I expect a modified War Wizard as a kind of jack of all trades. Loremaster had very bead feedback and most of it's abilities need to be completely scraped.

Other then that, sounds right.
>>
>>53660624
As a EK you'd be mostly picking buffs and stuff. You're restricted to 2 schools of magic and get extremely slow progression spellcasting progression, which is compensated by fighters being a pretty sturdy class in general. It's definitely not weak or anything but different from what a lot of people expect going in
>>
>>53660604
4e's stars were GOOs. A 5e one would have to be rather different.
>>
>>53660721
extremely slow spellcasting progression*
>>
>>53660700
I was actually considering a LN Inquisitive Rogue/Redemption Paladin along these lines with emphasis on the LAWFUL.

But what would remeembering every single law to the tiniest infraction fall under? History?
>>
>>53660091
As a matter of fact, there's a story in one Scarred Lands book that boils down to "guy sells his soul to what he thinks is a fiend for sorcerous powers which he then uses to do lots of good, because he felt damning himself to help others was a worthy sacrifice, only to find out on his deathbed he actually made a pact with an angel".

>>53660604
The 4e Star Pact actually kind of overlaps with the current Great Old One Pact in most ways, though. There was a Paragon Path for direct "I draw magic from the mystical stars" themed warlocks, but mostly it was about horrible aberrations like Caiphon.
>>
File: Judge_dredd.jpg (23KB, 220x436px) Image search: [Google]
Judge_dredd.jpg
23KB, 220x436px
>>53660780
>forgot image like a retard
>>
File: IMG_0708.jpg (55KB, 400x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0708.jpg
55KB, 400x536px
>>53660350
Proficiency in persuasion with opposite sex?
Not with that hover hand
>>
>>53660721
Relying mostly on buffs is fine with me, really. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but it is probably the closest to it.
>>
>>53660730
Stars were their own class of entity; they're closest to GOO, but still not the same. GOO is full up on 4E Primordials (some of whom existed in previous editions but were reclassed, like Dendar), Vestiges, and Far Realm shit; typical Elder Evil stuff that isn't from Hell.

Star Pact was just... stars. They're not from the Far Realm, but maybe Far Realm adjacent due to their distance and hideous age. They're not referenced in ANY of the GOO fluff until you get into the Warlock & Wizard UA that gives Warlocks all the new invocations; all the ones that have star names from 4E (Khirad, Caiphon, Ulban, etc.) are GOO-prereq'd. But then all of that was ditched by this latest UA.

So there was a half-hearted after-effort to lump them in, but I'd really only say Stars are GOO for lack of an existing Star Pact.
>>
>>53657691
My two cents:

>No longer recovers spells from short rest, instead they can spend an entire turn to recover all spell slots, they can do this once per day at level one at twice at level 3.
>They can third slot at level 7, forth at level 15 and fifth at 20
>EB is now a class feature
>MAYBE separate EB invocations from the rest and give them as a different thing
>Bladelock gets medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency and an extra attack at level 5
>Patron spells are free
>Add more spells to the warlock list
>>
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/872222685543055360

Mystara confirmed.
>>
>>53660983
>>Bladelock gets medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency and an extra attack at level 5
I was mostly with you until that part. If you do this. bladelock isn't inherently different from other gishes.
Any bladelock fix should make it a melee glass cannon in my opinion.
>>
I want to play a Feylock in my next game but until now hated Warlocks. Does anyone have cool ideas for Race, Backstory and Patrons?
>>
>>53661091
Do you like the rest though? I don't have a strong opinion on armor for warlocks, it's just something I see people complaining about sometimes
>>
>>53661065
>Mystara confirmed.
MUH DICK
>>
>>53661109
you were a tavern owner until satyrs came to your place and partied so hard they burned it down. They had no money so they repaid you in warlock powers.
>>
can anyone come up with some stupid nature idioms/ moral guidance sayings that don't make any sense for my druid
>>
>>53657691
First time building a character on 5ed, and I'm an overall newbie on dnd.

This character is just for a oneshot. He is an Aasimar (Protector) Warlock (level 4). With a Great Old One patron (I choose Azathoth, and the DM didn't say anything, I guess I can just smile about it)

stats are (with ALL bonuses):
9 str
12 dex
16 cos
11 int
12 wis
17 cha

I'm undecided about which cantrips to select a part from Eldritch Blast (Boosted by Repelling and Agonizing Blast)

I have 3 left to select, plus 3 extra from another class (Tome Path, or something like that).

The 3 Level 1 Spells I chose:
>Witch Bolt
>Hex
>Hellish Rebuke

The 2 Level 2 Spells I chose:
>Suggestion
>Shatter/Mirror Image (Suggested by a friend)

I would like something that does multihits so I could combo them with Hex and my Angelic form damage.

Any ideas?
>>
>>53660861
Zyzz grants to his followers the secrets he only understood toward the end of his life, and many he only learned after death.
>>
>>53661091
Bladelock's a weird one, honestly I think they should all have an invocation available to make Weapons use CHA. Maybe slap that onto the kinda shitty Smite one now.

If you do it right they can have very high damage. A Hexblade with Cloak of Flies, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, Hex and PAM can be attacking for 2d8+1d4+3d6+15 at level 5 and does 4 damage to everyone around them... that's an average of 37 on a character who still has other Warlock abilities, EB does 28.

The damage is completely fine on them. The issue is people don't want to use the builds which work well and get upset they have to give up utility options for their melee damage.
>>
>>53661192
>Witch Bolt
Worst level 1 spell in the game, it's a complete trap and mathematically worse then using EB every round.

Drop it ASAP.
>>
>>53661065
>guides for dropping Tomb of Annihilation into Mystara
>JUST PUT IT IN HOLLOW WORLD, DUMMY
i mean, that's pretty much the easiest thing fucking imaginable

now try putting Chult onto Dark Sun and explain why all the NPCs aren't cannibal halflings
>>
>>53658909
Consider that a Large glaive deals 2d10 damage, if the monster was Large and using a Medium glaive (1d10) I'd say he'd have no trouble holding it with one hand.
>>
>>53661188
>A tree doesn't grow in a day.
>Don't look a gift unicorn in the mouth.
>A stick in time, saves nine.
>People who live in grass houses shouldn't throw stones.
>If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck... it's a good disguise.
>Red sky at night - Druids delight. Red sky in the morning - Fuck! The forest's on fire!
>>
>>53660861
>Hover hand
Why wonder even, he's absolutely, 146% gay. Just look at this guy.
>>
>>53661188
By blossoming, we grow.
To wander the wild is to become one with it.

>>53661192
At 5th you'll get two attacks of Eldritch Blast, that's when Warlocks start becoming the turrets they are and why hex is so good.

Also, swap Witch Bolt, it's terrible.
>>
My mage apprentice die in a cart chase. All my investment down the drain.
>>
>>53661334
That's why you frequent the orphanages. Get other orphans lined up so if one dies, you have the paperwork filed for the next one already.

It's not like you need to get him new gear, right? If you do, then fuck, but if you have his corpse, then just get all the shit he had fitted for your new one.
>>
>>53658564
Power within and all that.
>>
>>53661065
"Who cares about new content? Just give these faggots some tips to adapt the adventure!"
>>
>>53660624
You can use a feat to wear heavy armor, and depending on your caster type you don't need all your ASIs.
>>
>>53661334
Did they at least look cool doing it?
>>
>>53661326
It's a oneshot, I don't think we will level up until the end.

Also I need suggestions for cantrips.

Also, may I ask why WB is so terrible? You can concentrate and keep on shooting it without wasting my spell uses for long rest (Only 2) and it's a d12 of damage. EB is surely more powerful and more of a bread and butter skill, also you can boost it to level two so you can roll 2d12 for damage. I'm sincerely curious.
>>
>>53661379
The costly part is teaching him spell.
>>53661434
He was isolated and kill when the cart fell over, so no. Orc on warg keep hitting the wheel after failing to board the cart.
>>
>>53661513
No chance of recovering the spellbook?
>>
>>53660861
Zyzz is what would happen if we uplifted a pre-sentient species. Sure they would be smarter, but no culture would develop and no histories would exist.

Basically he became Chad without the lifetime of being Chad to give him reference to how Chad would live. Hence you have this incredibly attractive straight guy hoverhanding
>>
>>53659140
Get a DM who runs scenarios exclusively revolving around your favored terrain.
>>
>>53661267
>call it Hollow World instead of Chult
>Ctrl+F "Ubtao", replace with "Ka, a giant talking T-Rex"
All right, send it to print.
>>
Can someone clarify the variant familiar descriptions for Chain locks. Do you need to still take an action to see through the familiar's eyes?

Debating on taking Eldritch Spear and using the familiar as a spotter if it doesn't take an action.
>>
>>53661650
>tfw deep down he was always that skinny nerd
>>
>>53661441
Spell ends when they move out of your range, which is 30 feet.

Eldritch blast with agonizing blast invocation out damages the spell plus you get to keep range.
>>
File: 1495377957703.gif (1MB, 480x393px) Image search: [Google]
1495377957703.gif
1MB, 480x393px
Stat me, 5E standards
>>
>>53661734
Human Wizard
>>
>>53660624
EK-12/Wizard-8 In that order. Gets you to 6th level spell slots without giving up any ABI.
>>
>>53661734
large magical beast
>>
Will try. We left the game when the chase was over. What kind of dm drag corpse into the enemy line. The boy got rip and tear pretty bad.
>>
File: 1495383429745.jpg (220KB, 1280x675px) Image search: [Google]
1495383429745.jpg
220KB, 1280x675px
>>53661757
>>53661777

I meant stat Rocket, not ME, dumb-dumb.
>>
>>53661792
Furry/10
>>
>>53661734
Goliath Paladin
>>
>>53659945
Go the Treasure Planet route where you can breathe in space; it's some kind of weird chilled æther where everything works but consistent gravity.
>>
>>53661734
arcana cleric
>>
>>53661792
Fiend Pact Bladelock
>>
>>53661441
>Also, may I ask why WB is so terrible?
1) You'll expend most of your time concentrating on Hex.
2) It locks you into using it every turn, any other action ends the spell.
3) Your target moves out of range or under cover, spell ends.

>You can concentrate and keep on shooting it without wasting my spell uses for long rest
4) You can't move Witch Bolt to other targets like Hex, and it lasts only 1 minute.
Hex extends out of combat, WB doesn't. You cast Hex once and you have one entire hour of concentration with +1d6 damage.
Also, you restore spell slots per short rest, not long, you'll have 2-6 slots per day.
I'd suggest Invisibility instead if there's no one else with it.

>Also I need suggestions for cantrips.
Thorn Whip (melee spell attack, battlefield-control). Most people suggest Shocking Grasp and Shillelagh, but I find them really situational, you'll hardly be at melee range, so those 2 cantrips never see use. Thorn Whip has 30 range instead of Touch.
I picked Light (for my party's VHuman PC), and Minor Illusion. I'd also suggest Guidance, Resistance, Mage Hand, Message.

Avoid the damaging cantrips as you'll be using EB over them most of the time.
>>
File: Volo's Guide to Monsters.jpg (838KB, 1440x789px) Image search: [Google]
Volo's Guide to Monsters.jpg
838KB, 1440x789px
>>53659945
Oh boy, have I got the magic item for you.
>>
How do I counteract my players trying to abuse their checks?

>Players want to go around intimidating or interrogating everyone they see in a murder mystery
>Checking for traps in every room
>Different characters trying to bluff the same NPCs
>>
>>53662098
>Players want to go around intimidating or interrogating everyone they see in a murder mystery

Well that's kinda what you do in trying to solve a murder mystery, that and looking for clues.

Start using their passive perception scores to lead them away from that

Have the NPC outright tell them that's bullshit, especially if they know this person is with that group. No roll, no everyone try until we get lucky.
>>
>>53662098
You're not supposed to go intimidating people around, make someone call the guards on them.
Intimidation is meant to be used on enemies, not at the barkeep.

Use passive Perception/Investigation? Otherwise, they have to tell you what they're doing (i.e. checking the table for hidden compartments), they can't just barge into a room and say "I want to make a Perception roll."

Don't let them, the NPC's resolve won't change.
>>
>>53661734
gun artificer
>>
Did anyone here back that 5e space conversion and have a pdf lying around?
>>
>Well that's kinda what you do in trying to solve a murder mystery, that and looking for clues.

I understand that but it's not like they're trying to talk with them, it's more like: "I walk up to Random Guy A and roll intimidate, I walk up to Random Guy B and roll intimidate, etc."
>>
>>53662325
whoops meant to reply to
>>53662232
>>
>>53662094
>can breathe normally in a vacuum
>but all the gasses in your blood boil away in the low pressure environment
>cosmic radiation begins destroying all of your cells
>and if the fantasy planet-sun relationship is anything like Earth-Sol's, slowly begin to overheat
>also no propulsion
>>
>>53662374
>applying real world physics to DnD
>>
>>53662402
>he doesn't know about Blackmoor and Wrath of the Immortals
>>
>>53662420
Not him, but I've no idea what you're talking about. Expand?
>>
>>53662325
Ahh well you tell them
>Ok how do you intimidate them?
Or
>No I'll tell you what and if you can roll

They give you nothing the DC goes up before the roll.
>>
>>53662374
That anon is answering the question "how could a crafty PC breathe in the vacuum of space," not "how could a crafty PC survive in the vacuum of space."
>>
>>53662436
Blackmoor was a campaign setting by Dave Arneson, Gygax's best bro. It was worked into the Known World / Mystara setting for D&D as part of its background lore as an ancient civilization which was originally proto-medieval, but benefited from the crash-landing of a high-tech spaceship whose technology the peasants of Blackmoor eventually learned to utilize and replicate, transforming them into a nation of advanced technology while everyone around them was figuring our platemail and trebuchets.

But then they tinkered with the wrong thing and blew themselves up, spreading radioactive hellfire everywhere and creating a huge mess. This apocalypse was used to explain a lot of the weird setting stuff going on in Mystara and Hollow World.

Wrath of the Immortals was a rule book in the BECMI line intended for super-high-level play, where PCs could eventually become Immortals, Mystara's version of Gods. Also produced was a module, The Immortals' Fury, which served as the ultimate adventure which unified all the magazine content for the Mystara setting (think the tweaking and canonization of all the UAs in 5E), sent the PCs on a whirlwind tour of the setting, put them in direct contact with Immortals and gave them front-row seats and a big part in reshaping the world, and ended with one or more enormous changes to the planet and/or its cosmology.

Immortals' Fury reveals that one of the Immortals is an alien from the spaceship that crashed in Blackmoor, transformed by the weird energies of its engines interacting with magic for the first time. An artifact of his has begun resurrecting things as weird electro-zombies and giving off a magic-consuming radiation which threatens to destroy an entire Sphere of Immortals and all magic as well. There's also the destruction of an entire continent of hyper-magical guys who are ALSO aliens.
>>
Tome's not that cool to me because I'm fine with EB spam and Blade's gay unless you go Hexblade.

So my only option's Chainlock, but my DM plays using a Roll20 grid and has never let people have direct control moving around summons and pets. We can only order them where we want. It makes it annoying when I can't just move the figure around and activate it's abilities myself. So I don't really want to play Chain.

Is the Seeker's Chain any good? The pact seems interesting and gives some good utility spells plus Levitate is awesome in combat.
>>
>>53661792
Cringe af/10
>>
>>53661883
Thank you for your explanation!

>I'd suggest Invisibility instead if there's no one else with it.
That's a level 2 spell, I guess I will go for Charm Person or AoA.

>About Cantrips
Thorn whip seems really nice, but my Dm says to choose 4 cantrips from Warlock and then 3 from another class (all from the same, his exact words) So I would have to choose 2 other cantrips from druid if I were to choose Thorn Whip as he says. I don't know if that's because he's an idiot that didn't understand that rule (possibly) or just a houserule, but he was really clear about it.
About Light, he gave me that for free because of my race, so... Nice.
>>
File: barrierpeaks.jpg (5MB, 1500x2883px) Image search: [Google]
barrierpeaks.jpg
5MB, 1500x2883px
>>53662673
>>53662436
And outside of Mystara, Greyhawk has Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, where PCs are sent to go investigate some spooky shit up innamountains and wind up traipsing through a crashed spaceship full of killer plants and half-functioning security robots.

Early D&D is full of sci-fi references, because at that time the sci-fi and fantasy genres had yet to be fully separated as they are now. Laser guns were just par for the course with your knights in shining armor and elves.
>>
>>53662772
With Druid you have some alright options. Thorn Whip, Guidance and Druidcraft are the 3 I'd take.

You should be able to take them from any class but bringing up things can sometimes make DMs spaz out. So I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>53662809
>killing orcus with an antimatter ray gun
based
>>
>>53662094
Guess I didn't read through volos well enough, this really in there
>>
>>53662772
>That's a level 2 spell, I guess I will go for Charm Person or AoA.
You still can pick another 2nd level spell, but AoA is good, Charm Person has a deceiving name, it's not that good.

1: 2 1st
2: 3 1st
3: 2 1st, 2 2nd (swap one of 1st to 2nd)
4: 1 1st, 4 2nd (swap one of 1st to 2nd)

And yeah, you should pick 3 from any class, not another class.
>>
>>53662809
The one thing that honestly bugs me about the Expedition: why the hell do the various ray-guns all look so stupid? I mean, seriously, frigging Star Trek phasers look better designed than those things did.
>>
>>53662827
Thank you very much again.
Which Warlock cantrips would you suggest?

>>53662895
So I can just remove Witch Bolt and get another level 2 instead? That would be really nice.

About cantrips, I will just speak with him and see what he will tell me.

>but AoA is good, Charm Person has a deceiving name, it's not that good.
I guess I will go for AoA then, I still have Suggestion to charm after all.
>>
File: barrierpeaksweapons.png (204KB, 737x804px) Image search: [Google]
barrierpeaksweapons.png
204KB, 737x804px
>>53662999
Because it's alien technology. It's supposed to look fucking weird. It it looks like a gun, everyone at the table is going to pick it up and use it like a gun because they know what a gun is.

And then they get fucked because the writers put in a weapon that looks like a typical 60s sci-fi ray gun, but fires out of what 95% of people would assume is the wrong end (lower right).
>>
>>53663066

Ironically, that bottom one is the most sensible-looking one of the bunch.

I mean, I guess it makes sense if you really want to avoid meta-gaming, but personally, I'm happy to stick with more normal devices in any games I run using Barrier Peaks as an inspiration.
>>
>>53662809
If one adventure deserved a conversion to 5e, it was the Peaks.

I guess it's not too hard to make a giant metal dungeon full of alien weapons and various refluffed creatures into robots. The real trick is to describe stuff as the way someone who's never seen sci-fi would see these things, describing a robot as a towering golem of metal plates sparking out lightning and etc.
>>
>>53663034
>So I can just remove Witch Bolt and get another level 2 instead?
Yes, you could even drop Hellish Rebuke too for another 2nd level spell if you wanted, but I don't think that's necessary.

If he keeps the cantrip thing, no biggie, you can pick the cantrips that >>53662827
suggested and you're good.

For Warlock cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion.
>>
Anyone know of an older-edition/homebrew campaign that has a lighter/happier tone? Of the official 5e adventures I most-prefer Elemental Evil because the BBEGs aren't destroying the world, they're just cultists doing cultist shit with a ton of variety (aside from the shitty dungeon grinds). Strahd and Abyss are pretty gloomy, Storm King is Skyrim: The Campaign and is tonally not very vibrant.

Going to try designing a revamped Al-Qadim campaign since that seems very campy and fun, maybe Chult since the new campaign is coming out, just looking for ideas.
>>
What does everyone think of the UA?
>>
>>53663213
The current one?
They killed Cavalier/Knight and Bladelock, unless they make Hexblade patron really cool.
>>
>>53663213
>you know what fighter needs? a more boring battlemaster!
>you know what warlock needs? gutted bladelock invocations!

Paladin is Paladin, the Warlock archetype is fun, and Shepard is fine.
>>
>>53663253
>Cavalier/Knight and Bladelock
Cavalier already sucked dick and Knight is still an option. Probably won't be in the next book but I have a feeling that an Oppertuinty Attack orriented Fighter will appear somewhere down the line.

Hexblade's fine as is without the smites, it can deal more damage then EB if built right.

>>53663213
Shepard's mechanically solid (Summoners are annoying as fuck though), Cavalier's boring, Conquest is a good option for Evil/Neutral Paladins who can still work in a party and Celestial Warlock's fun and reasonably powerful.
>>
What's the best class for a Monster Hunter (Vampires)?

What's the best class for a Monster Hunter (Rathalos)?
>>
>>53663401
Monster Hunter.
>>
>>53663401
Monster Hunter.
Champion with Brawny and Powerful Build so you can swing a hammer the size of a sedan.
>>
>>53663401

1. Paladin because holiness

2. Ranger because Dragon specialty
>>
>>53663401
Vampires = Cleric/Paladin
Dragons = Ranger with Favored Enemy
>>
Reposting this poll, to get more people in.
https://strawpoll.com/aww32yx
>>
>>53663181
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks? The Isle of Dread?
>>
>>53663469
Why even put Str/Dex/Con there, anon?
>>
>>53663469
Intelligence

>Wizards not using WIZdom as their main stat
>>
>>53663493
Sorcerer should've been a CON caster.
>>
>>53663570
Wizards should probably use Dex, because all the ones I've met have been dumb as a sack of wet rocks.
>>
>>53663170
Ok for now the Spells are:
Cantrips
>Light (Free)
>Eldricth Blast
>Minor Illusion
>Mage Hand
>Prestidigitation
For the other ones I will just ask the guy ASAP and then act.
Level 1
>Hex
>Hellish Rebuke (I really like its flavour)
Level 2
>Suggestion
>Shatter
>Invisibility

What would you suggest for an Arcane Focus?
>>
>>53663620
Druids are the shapeshifter class though

>tfw no CON based class focusing on extending/hardening/sharpening limbs, regurgitating elements from your bowls, leaving parts of you laying around as traps, healing by eating your own flesh etc.
>>
I'm playing an Enchanter Wizard and I'm thinking of taking a Rogue dip. My current thoughts are taking 2 levels for Expertise, Armour and something to use my Bonus Action on every round.

I could also do 3 to pick up Arcane Trickster abilities I guess.

Never bothered to multiclass before and I really want to this time. With stats of 8, 14, 14, 18, 10, 12 my choices are Barbarian, Fighter and Rogue though.
>>
>>53663680
>tfw no Druid focused on shapeshifting into living trees and beating the shit out your enemies with your mighty branches while your allies eat your magical fruit to heal.
>>
>>53663709
Primeval Guardian though, just pick up Shillelagh with a feat and use a Quarterstaff with Wisdom.
>>
>>53663643
Anon, Warlocks only have 3 cantrips at 4th level.

>What would you suggest for an Arcane Focus?
On my games the DM doesn't care that much, provided I'm with it (doesn't even require wielding it, etc).
My Warlock uses a crystal or orb. I remember reading somwhere that warlocks use mostly a rod/wand.
>>
While we're asking, what should I use as a level 4 druid of the land (forest)

Cantrips
>Minor Illusion (free because Gnome)
>Thorn Whip
>Mold Earth
>Mend
>Druidcraft

1st Level
>Cure Wounds
>Healing Word
>Ice Knife
>Thunderwave

2nd Level
>Barkskin (free)
>Spiderclimb (free)
>Hold Person
>Lesser Restoration
>Moonbeam
>Spike Growth

Anything on the list that I should avoid? Anything that might be really good but I may have glossed over?
>>
I wonder if we'll ever get a archetype on the ranger to play a seeker from 4ed.
>>
>Firbolgs, Goliaths, Orcs, and Bugbears bumped to 35 speed because huge=longer strides
y/n?
>>
What's the best spells for a level 5 Wizard to pick up. Right now my only damage spell's Magic Missile and cantrips so I was thinking of Fireball or Lightning Bolt. Probably Fireball so I can nuke a lot of people.

Haste seems alright but we have no one using GWM or Sharpshooter to make that extra attack have real power behind it. Just a Shield Paladin and a Shield Ranger.

Slow seems cool, hitting 6 creatures with a massive debuff. Plus my character's mostly focused on mentally messing with people which it's easy to refluff to.
>>
>>53663864
no. Their larger mass counteracts their stride advantage.
>>
>GMing for a large group
>Start campaign in not!sword-coast region
>4 sessions in, I realize that I'm completely uninspired and would rather do Kara-Tur, Al-Quadim, or literally anywhere else then here
What do I do?
>>
>>53663808
List seems ok, druids don't have the same problem of warlocks as they can sleep over and get an entire new spell list if they want.
>>
File: 5e.Guide.To.Sex.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e.Guide.To.Sex.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
I have a scrub question. How do I edit and make my own pdf files in this style?

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC but I can't figure out how to edit the actual text.

Should I just give up and die?
>>
>>53663955
Something about then becoming wanted criminals, an old friend or cousin or something offers to let them on his ship. He's going to look for ancient treasures and shit in X, offers them good pay to work as protection.
>>
>>53663864
No, sir. Bad idea.
>>
>>53663493
>>53663974
The Homebrewery, at Natural Crit.
>>
>>53663752
I think he said he's a Tomelock. They get extra spells/cantrips.
>>
>>53663752
>Anon, Warlocks only have 3 cantrips at 4th level.
Oh? The DM says to choose 4, whatever, I will just remove Prestidigitation.

>About Focus
Well, I don't know what he will do, he just says that it will be a piece of equipment, so maybe he will make it wear.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

That works. Thank you, Anon. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>53664029
Are you a High Elf? They get an extra cantrip so maybe that's where it's from.

Are you a Tomelock? They get 3 cantrips from any combination of classes.
>>
>>53663985
That's wonderful
>>
File: logh-knife.gif (3MB, 237x178px) Image search: [Google]
logh-knife.gif
3MB, 237x178px
Hit me with all of your sweet houserules, Anons.
>>
>>53664085
None.
>>
My buddy called me out of the blue and told me he's starting a D&D campaign with 5th edition. I haven't played in 10 years. What are the differences between 3rd edition and 5th?
>>
File: 1467143821460.png (1012KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467143821460.png
1012KB, 720x720px
>>53664085
Everyone gets max stats and any number of feats they want plus they can multi-level simultaneously in up to 3 classes of their choice.

It's pretty fun.
>>
>>53664085
I housetule that the Sun produces sunlight in my campaigns.
>>
>>53664085
When camping in the rain they have to make a save to not get sick
>>
>>53664110
Everything, it's more or less a completely new game.

Abilities, classes, races, skills, saves, multiclassing, feats, actions, combat, attacks, situational modifiers, exploring, weapons, armour, spellcasting all work differently.

I think fall damage is about the same... and that's it.
>>
>>53663808
Mold Earth kinda sucks but you can't change your cantrips
>>
>>53664085
When you roll 1 I start playing the benny hill theme and punish you accordingly.
>>
>>53658665
>also from space
wat
>>
>>53664085
Spike Growth can actually hurt things.
>>
>>53664144
>Not making 5 foot tall cover barriers with the dirt
>>
>>53664154
But you can't enter spike growth that's ridiculous
>>
>>53664085

Passive Initiative = 10 + Dex modifier, it makes things move a lot faster.

The party only rolls for initiative when they are the ones who instigate combat.
>>
>>53664144
mold earth is fantastic what chu talkin bout cracka
>>
>>53664150
In Forgotten Realms, both Dwarves and Orcs are not native to Faerun.

Orcs were summoned through a portal from who the fuck knows where, and no one is entirely sure where the Dwarves came from (did they get summoned? did they portal themselves in? did they come on a ship? did gods teleport them over?) but they're also complete aliens like Orcs. And no, they're not from the same place, either.

Humans from Mulhorand are also aliens, because they're actually from Egypt, Earth, and were portaled in just like Orcs.
>>
>>53664085
At my house we don't roll dice we just take the average from anydice and use that.
>>
>>53664110
5e is more balanced than 3e. Not BALANCED, but more balanced. A lot of strong spells now require concentration and the system's math is less fucked so martials work out of the box. Much lower power, bounded accuracy means your numbers won't ever get that big and no matter what level you are or how much magical gear you got, enough peasants can kill you. Sorcerers now work as strictly worse wizards with the consolation price of metamagic. Warlocks tread a fine line between caster and ranged martial. Not a lot of supplementary material yet due to Hasbro's absurdly high expectations leading them to think the edition is a crushing failure
>>
>>53664180
It's houseruled so that touching it inflicts the damage, not entering its area
inb4 you can't actually touch objects because molecular repulsion means everything floats on everything else
>>
>>53664192
Isn't it implied that most races aren't native to Faerun?

And if not how do you have some humans that are native and other humans that are aliens?
>>
>>53664192
I am not well versed in Faerun lore, how long has it been like that IRL? Like, Ed Greenwood's notes or what?
>>
>>53664186
How is 1 square of rough terrain useful in any way, anyone can just walk around it at no cost
>>
Quick question, I'm looking in the books, but haven't found an answer. I might just be fucking blind.

I know you can drag someone your size at half movement (or no movement penalty if two sizer smaller). What about someone a size bigger than you?
>>
>>53664214
But anon, you can't actually touch objects because molecular repulsion means everything floats on everything else

Your houseruling is stupid. I hate the way you have fun even though it doesn't affect me in the slightest!
>>
>>53664255
I think grappling fails if something is larger than you. Or maybe it has to be two sizes.
I would say two sizes larger can't be dragged, one size larger would be 1/4 movement
>>
>>53664215
It's just a weird quirk of evolution that humans happened to arise in Earth, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Mystara, and Forgotten Realms and they're pretty much all the same. But they're not from the same place. Mystara, for example, has normal humans, and then it has Alphatians (who are aliens, but pretty much just like the native humans), so that's like FR with Mulhorandi-Egyptians. Humans naturally evolved on Faerun.

Just about every other PC race in FR is either a natively-evolved creature from that planet, some extraplanar crossbreed (but still from planes which are otherwise linked to Faerun, and specifically that version of either Abeir or Toril). Elves are the only weird case because they evolved from Fey, so they are technically from another plane, but they lost pretty much all of their Fey traits yonks ago; it'd be like Tieflings or Aasimar with all the Outsider juice drained out and all that's left is horns or great hair.
>>
>>53664255
You can move a grapple creature at half your speed unless they're two size smaller than you.
The target of a grapple can be no more than one size larger than you.

So a medium creature can move a large creature at half speed, and can't move anything bigger than that.
>>
>>53664271
Anyone can confirm these with page numbers?
I don't mind running with a house rule, but if it's written, I'd like to see it.

Seems like the case of a small sized party member needing to drag a medium sized creature. Say, in this case, they don't need to make a grapple check because the person is unconscious. Say, dragging an unconscious party member.
>>
>>53664302
>The target of a grapple can be no more than one size larger than you.
I suppose that's the rule I needed to make sure of.
Which naturally implies the rest.Thanks!
>>
>>53664320
PHB Page 195 "Grappling"
The 1/4 speed thing is not what's written, as written, it's still 1/2 for a larger creature.
>>
How do you fill out a map?
Not doing a hexcrawl but I was thinking of drawing one up for my players with a few points of interest
The problem is that aside from a town and a dungeon, I don't know what to toss in. Are there any useful guides out there?
>>
>>53664255
The rules for Grappling don't mention weight, ever. It's assumed that a Medium creature can grapple and drag any Large-sized creature regardless of weight.

There are, however, actual "push / drag / lift weight" rules in the encumberance section that you could use if you wanted to STOP MARTIALS FROM HAVING FUN, YOU TERRIBLE PERSON.
In that horrible event, the limit is 30 * your Strength score; a character with 15 Strength could drag 450 pounds. Even worse, that's only the maximum limit you can ever move. If you are trying to drag or push something that's more than your Carry Weight (15 * Strength score), your speed is dropped to 5. And since half of 5 is nothing, you can, RAW, only ever drag a creature that weighs less than 15*Str.

So if you consider that your own equipment weighs like 80 pounds and you're a beefy 200 pound man and the enemy is also a 200 pound man wearing heavy armor and carrying a shield and a sword and a backpack, you will never ever move him. So just ignore that rule.
>>
>>53664341
Thanks, senpai. This is what I had told someone in an earlier session today and just wanted to make sure I wasn't making shit up.
They were thinking it'd be necessary for someone to make an athletics check to do so (unconscious person).
I knew RAW carrying capacity is based on str score anyway, so it stands to reason they should have no issue with dragging someone that isn't resisting. At least at half speed.
>>
A campaign I'm in is crashing and burning. The DM is obviously pretty bummed out about it, but he's also been kind of a dick which is probably why at least some of the players left. Even then, I want to join other games without spending another couple weeks waiting for the campaign to finish agonizing and drop dead. I'm thinking it'd be best if I just left to not be dishonest. How would you handle this?
>>
File: Capture.png (64KB, 626x456px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
64KB, 626x456px
Get ready boys, we're in for some repeats.
>>
>>53664392
I hope what he really meant was "we're fixing PDK and leaving everything else untouched"
>>
>>53664392
Well yeah, they released them all as UA in the first place so people could test them out so that they could be fine tuned and published in an official format.
It would defeat the purpose if they just threw in some new subclasses without testing them like that have with everything else.
>>
>>53664392
Yeah I saw that this morning. First thought that came to my mind:
>of fucking course
>>
>>53664392
Have they said they're adding new races? Or is it mostly just classes?
>>
>>53664424
He's talking about the "few subclasses from SCAG"
>>
>>53664392
What would they repeat from SCAG?

Probably all the ones without specific FR fluff I guess. So Arcana Cleric, Undying Warlock, Monk options and Rogue ones are all possible.

Wonder if they're changing anything. If so I'd like PDK and Undying to get buffed a fair bit, my wet dream would be PDK with the Knight's abilities.
>>
>>53664424
I think he's talking more about SCAG subclasses being the repeats, not the UAs.
>>
>>53664056
As I explained here >>53661192
I'm an Aasimar Warlock.
And yes, I'm a Tomelock, he seems the most powerful and versatile.

But now I'm undecided, shall I drop 1 invocation between Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast to get Mask of Many Faces? It seems quite versatile and strong. If so, which one?
>>
File: 1461018495820.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1461018495820.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>53664392
>A few subclasses from SCAG
But... But.... Literally why? The SCAG subclasses sucked for the most part. Why do they keep reprinting them?
>>
>>53664392
To be fair, looking at how they've cocked up so many of the UA archetypes, would we really want them to print a fully new thing that's likely as busted as their other ideas?

And to be mean, REEEEEE THE SHIT IN SCAG IS ALREADY RELEASED, YOU CAN'T COUNT THAT SHIT IN THE 25 NUMBER THAT'S CHEATING YOU SHITHEADS
>>
File: Capture.png (30KB, 618x259px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
30KB, 618x259px
>>53664446
>>53664422
>>
>>53664460
Arcana Cleric, Swashbuckler and Long Death are all really good. Rest was meh.
>>
>>53664461
>YOU CAN'T COUNT THAT SHIT IN THE 25 NUMBER THAT'S CHEATING YOU SHITHEADS
Crawford clarified that the 4 max they'll be including from SCAG don't count toward the 25+ number he's said before.
>>
>>53664460
Because
>25 new subclasses!
sounds better than
>14 new subclasses!
>>
>>53664460
Probably to accommodate Adventurers League +1 Book rule. And also general laziness.
>>
>>53664491
Source?
>>
>>53664392
I'm willing to bet Cleric's subclasses will be Forge and Arcana.

Monk will get Kensai and Long Death or Sun Soul.

Rogue's are Inquisitive and probably Swashbuckler... again.

Sorcerer better not get Storm shoved in there again, it's decent but I'd much rather Shadow and Stone.
>>
>>53664504
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/872220855601741824
>>
>>53664512
Lit, thanks senpai
>>
>>53664367
>when discussing moving something heavy you take your weight into account

Have you ever taken part in any physical activity in your life, ever?
>>
>>53664512
Oh, well that's actually good. Saves me having to pull up a SCAG when I can just carry around a XGtE.

Wizards made a good design choice for once. Good on them.
>>
>>53664522
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzq5gBQWyA
>>
>>53664522
I was mostly just mentioning your own weight to suggest that you wouldn't be able to move a similar creature. Your equipment + the enemy's body + his equipment = definitely over your cap.
>>
>>53657790

A pact with some sort of ghost communion is a pretty cool idea for a Warlock pact actually. Could be something like MTG's Obzedat or some powerful specific spirit (Geist: The Sin Eaters?) or maybe just spirits of the dead in general.
>>
>>53664451
Those kinds of spells are good for a subterfuge kind of warlock. I would only get it if you're going to be playing as a rogue or charmer with high persuasion rolls and a high deception style. Stuff like that is great for later invocations down the line but for a low level one-shot I'd focus on core invocations. If you're going to be a Tomelock take the Book of Ancient Secrets ASAP. Two extra level 1 rituals can be quite nice and don't forget that you can select Find Familiar (this ritual spell is on page 240 of your PHB if you want to look it up really quickly) to ritual summon yourself an ally. Through Find Familiar you can also cast touch-spells through your summoned creature which can give you a lot of extra versatility (especially if you select touch-spells via your Tome Pact giving you those initial three free cantrips; there are plenty of combinations, such as shocking grasp and spare the dying via an Owl familiar which has the ability of not provoking opportunity attacks with its movement).

If you aren't going to take the Book of Ancient Secrets I would strongly recommend selecting a different pact. The Book of Ancient Secrets allows you to gain any ritual spell so long as you have time and a few gold to make due. I know it's a one-shot but even for a 3 hour setting those 2 level-1 ritual spells you automatically gain (including Find Familiar) will be quite useful.

For a second invocation you could pick literally anything else, but frankly I'd recommend one of the Eldritch Blast enhancements so you can do something in combat. Probably repelling blast to keep distance and potentially push targets off of cliff-sides or into traps or something.
>>
>>53664392
So they're just gonna be the same subclasses with no updating?
>>
>>53664591
>Those kinds of spells
meant invocations, not spells.
>>
>>53664392
Oh great, I can't wait for anything interesting to be sanded off in the name of retarded levels of simplicity and rebbit's idea of balance.
>>
>>53664609
Yep. If they were updated, it would be admitting that they fucked up, and more importantly it would render previous books obsolete
>>
>>53664110
Man, >>53664143 is talking crap. Anon posted a decent 'for starters' comparison a few threads ago.

>Every class has 2-3 subclasses and also some additional options to choose from now. And yes, that makes dex-fighers, dex-barbarians and sometimes even dex-paladins very possible. Also Str-Bards.

>No skill points, no saving throw progression tables, no base attack bonuses. All of that is rolled into 'proficiency bonus' - you add it and corresponding ability to stuff your class/character is proficient with, and just ability if you don't.

>Casters are less broken thanks to concentration mechanic - most ongoing buffs/debuffs require concentration, and you can concentrate only on one spell at a time. But they are still broken (at levels 11+ at the very least).

>PCs aren't Magic Item Christmas Trees anymore - most good items require attunement, and you can attune only to 3 items at a time.

>Races have no ability penalties - generally one +2 and one +1.

>In addition to Race and Class you have Background - generally it's your character's before he started adventuring. It gives a couple of skill proficiencies, a tool or a language, and some starting equipment.

>Combat is a bit less restrictive - you don't need feats to move-attack-move, Finesse is a weapon property, not a feat, etc. No more 'full action, standard action, swift action, move action, free action' - now there's just action, move and bonus action, you can do each one once per round, nothing is interchangeable.

>Feats are optional and are much more powerful than 3.5s.

>That should probably be enough for you for starters. Good luck with your game, friend!
>>
File: babyface.jpg (17KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
babyface.jpg
17KB, 500x500px
>>53664641
But wasn't half the point of UAs that they would be put out to be playtested?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (40KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
40KB, 1x1px
>>53664110
>>
>>53664659
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the SCAG subclasses. It's unknown what the final iteration of the subclasses featured in UA will look like in XGE, but the SCAG subclasses will be identical.
>>
>>53664644
How is he talking crap? You literally just typed out he was right except you explained how they're different.

Really people should go into the game ignoring what they know about other editions. Doesn't really help much in 5e.
>>
I've got a few hundred gold laying around and want some Wizardy shit to buy. Aside from the fanciest Wizard hat I can acquire, what's some cool stuff to spend it on?
>>
>>53664825
The fanciest wizard staff
>>
Can I really quickly have a PC goblin name
>>
>>53664181
This actually sounds like a good idea. I like it.
>>
>>53664862
Trade Prince Gallywix.

Trade is the first name, Prince is the middle name, Gallywix is the last name.
>>
>>53664857
I already have a Staff of Defence made of glass from when we ran through LMoP, I could pay someone to make it fancier though.

>>53664862
Krenko. Anything that sounds harsh really.
>>
>>53664862
Stink Line
>>
>>53664343
1. Start with some hills or mountains, doing those at random is good enough, but try to keep most (but not all) of them in chains, forming mountain ridges.
2. Now that you have something akin to a height map, you draw rivers. They flow from high ground to low, almost never split and tend to clump up into bigger rivers.
3. Lakes are placed on flat areas with softer ground or in places that are lower then the rest of the terrain, filling those up. Lakes almost always have only one river coming out of them (except in marshy terrain or in arid areas, where they may have no outflow; in the latter they become brackish waters).
4. Draw some woods in not-so-wet and not-too-populated areas. Rivers on even ground also tend to form flood basins, which kinda forbid woods too (that's also where you put your fields of wheat, corn or whatnot).
5. Now, put some village-sized and smaller settlements as you see fit. There'll be more of those on the aforementioned fields. Only a few of them will be deep in the woods. Don't forget to put some near the edge of mountains and hills - that'll be your miners' settlements.
6. Connect the settlements with roads, trying to avoid hard terrain. If there's no avoiding it - take the shortest route through it. In some places draw alternative roads. Remember - no interstate highways, your villages are connected one by one to each other.
7. On crossroads with 3 or more villages in a day walk distance - put towns. If it happens to be near a big river - put a city in there, cities love rivers.
8. In leftover empty areas - put monstrous races settlements, ruins, recluse wizard towers - basically, all ye' adventuring locations for characters above, say, 3rd level.
9. Having local climate, area size and altitudes in mind, draw your temperature bands. If it's a small area without much height differences - don't bother, make everything kinda homogeneous.
That'll do it for the first time being.
>>
>>53664862
Bert
Maggie
>>
While people are already doing names...

What's a good one for a Thicc Female Barbarian?
>>
>>53659136

If the Mystic and the others don't make it into this book I hope they release them as some kind of free online supplement ala Elemental Evil.
>>
>>53660700

I really like the idea of Loremaster. I think with a bit of re fluffing it will be fine and a "generalist" wizard has been something people have wanted for a long time.
>>
I'm thinking of playing a Half-Elf Satire Bard in a game soon. I wanted to use melee weapons so I was thinking of swaping my skills for the High-Elf cantrip and taking Booming Blade.

Is this a smart idea?
>>
>>53665045
I hate the Satire Bard, aka fart jokes: the subclass, with every fiber of my being.
>>
>>53665108
I've already asked my DM to remove that part of the Mind Reading, it's just fucking stupid really.

Aside from that I just like the idea of playing a Bard who used to be a spy.
>>
>>53664913
Thank you so much, for going in detail.
>>
>>53658866
>>Wizard
>Loremaster
It's going to be the Theurgist because it has been pushed hard.
>>
>>53665126
Oh ok, since Booming Blade doesn't care about your casting modifier, it will work fine as a High Elf cantrip.
>>
Why don't warlocks use intelligence anyway?
>>
>>53665298
They should.
>>
>>53665298
because their powers are based on how well they suck otherworldly cock
>>
>>53665298
Playtesting happened, never again.
>>
>>53665298
Because you become a Warlock when you're not smart enough to learn magic the right way.
>>
>>53665298
>Something, something, something, Strength of Personality, that isn't Wisdom or something
>>
>>53665298
Because smart people don't sell their souls in open-ended vague deals to sketchy otherworldly beings.
>>
Am I the only person who spams out of combat Divination spells and attempts to Scry and Arcane Eye their way past everything?
>>
>>53665298
According to the poll I conducted, most people here think they should. I trust them over reddit, or mearls/crawford. Poll, for those interested:

strawpoll.com/aww32yx

Anyways, I'll continue working on my warlock fix.
>>
Grasp of Hadar/Frost Lance: Do they activate once per target hit on your turn, or once per turn period? Both seem rather weak compared to Repelling Blast if they only affect one thing per turn period.
>>
>>53665374
Right, smart people get that shit in writing. Which smart warlocks do.

>>53665340
Demon/Fey/GOO schools of magic are the ivy league. I bet wizards can't get into them, so they settle for being taught by mortal professors. Chumps.
>>
>>53665409
>You draw on the gifts of the Prince of Frost to trap your enemies in ice. When you hit a creature with your eldritch blast cantrip one or more times on your turn, you can reduce that creature’s speed by 10 feet until the end of your next turn.

The way this is written, if you hit a creature 3 times in your turn, you can reduce its movement speed by only 10 feet. if you hit 3 creatures one time, you can reduce each creature's movement speed by 10 feet.

>Once during your turn when you hit a creature with your eldritch blast cantrip, you can move that creature in a straight line 10 feet closer to yourself.

You can only use this once per turn, and therefore only affect one creature a turn, once.
>>
So am I wrong in thinking Wizard subclasses are way to similar thematically if not mechanically? If I feel like if I were to look at all of them except for Bladesinger and Necromancer I would just see people in robes and pointy hats and maybe they're a different color depending on their school.
>>
>>53665396
There should be a pact option(s) for it, but there's certainly merit to CHA based warlocks
>>
>>53665396
I'm also working on a warlock fix. What do you have so far?
>>
>>53665493
migrate whenever
>>
Guys, let's say I want to create a combat encounter that happens in waves. For instance, the PCs are fighting some undead warriors and they come as follows:

>a few sword and board dudes
>a couple archers and some pikemen
>barbarians and sorcerers
>mixed fighters with buffing bards
>maybe something else, IDK

How would I go around on making a combat like this bearable? I mean timewise, I hate encounters that consume over half a session.
>>
>>53665470
It's so strange how the lore is all about your study of the occult and stuff, insatiable hunger for knowledge, then we get to spellcasting ability and it says it "is Charisma."
Go to Sorcerer and there's a reasoning behind it being Charisma right there, same for Wizard. Warlock uses Charisma because it says so.
>>
>>53665396
>>53665498
Not him, but what I came up with was:
Blade gets Thirsting Blade baseline (at 5th).
Chain gets Voice baseline.
Tome gets Ancient Secrets baseline.
So all boons are actually interesting instead of two being behind the invocation paywall.

Eldritch Invocations: make a system of Eldritch points (multiply Invocations known column by 2)
Make the must-have/strong Invocations costing 2 points while the fluff only costs 1 (greater and lesser invocations).
The ones that grant spells at the cost of a slot are 1, at will depending on the spell (detect magic 1, levitate and mage armor 2).
Maybe up the Eldritch Invocations capstone to 5th level.
>>
>>53657911
Funny thing about warlocks, is that some of the patrons are just mid-level fiends. You will eventually out level them.

It always felt a bit weird to have a lower level patron, but it could be explained as another being joining the pact.

You know what id love to have for a pact choice? The ability to become a patron. Just a shitty peasant or child at first, but growing in power as I do. Basically two character, but some players are more than capable of that, and it would be an interesting alternative to something like a Rangers pet.

Call it the multi-level marketing Pact.
>>
What are some pros and cons of drinking the ichor of maglubiyet? A flask of it being like an epic item or some shit
>>
>>53664862
Tullius Swagabond
>>
>>53658201
Don't forget the Seeker Pact.

Was pretty interested in their abilities to sequester themselves and create safety pocket dimensions.
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.