[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ DnD 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 369
Thread images: 28

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Archive of Shitposting:
>>53644724

How do you feel about warlocks, in their current balance, and with either (or both) UAs available to them?
>>
are druids ghey?
>>
>>53650268
They are good at EB spam but shit at everything else. Warlocks are dumpster tier.
>>
>>53650268
Warlocks are quite important in my setting so it is nice to have more options with them
>>
>>53650268
They're competent, but WotC keeps buffing them to be more in line with other classes in accordance to how they are played (ie not using their encounter balance), then nerfing them back down because of the fraction of the playerbase offended by casters having martial prowess.
>>
>>53650268
I feel they need a rework so they aren't just EB turrets or the dip class.

I also believe the people bitching and moaning about them so much need to get working on it or shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>53650268
>How do you feel about warlocks, in their current balance, and with either (or both) UAs available to them?
balance wise I would say they aren't that bad but obviously that is based on how often they rest and how often combat occures
my games are notorious for being combat light so wizards have no problem blowing all the high spells in the one or two combats we have per month. So in my games I havent run into much of a problem.
flavor wise 5e has screwed them up so bad they are hardly recognizable as warlocks as the downsides are pretty muted which is kinda bland and celestial warlocks are beyond retarded flavor wise.
>>
>>53650311
No, it's not +1 from each.
You either proficient or not proficient with skill.

If you are proficient with it, you add [proficiency bonus] when you are using that skill.

If you have expertise (rogue class feature) with it, you add double [proficiency bonus] to that skill.

So at level one your [proficiency bonus] is +2.
You dex is +3. Your sleigh of hand will be +2+3 = +5.
>>
>>53650325
How exactly does anyone have influence over anything those retards over at WotC do? Hexblade was one of the most well received UA but they just took it out back yesterday.
>>
>>53650268
I like warlocks. I think they are a really cool class. I don't like that WOTC is giving them smites. That's a paladin thing. Surely they can come up with some other mechanic.
>>
>>53650268
Warlocks are pretty cool, i personally am really interested in the RP potential of having a patron
>>
>>53650362
you can find [proficiency bonus] on the class table.
>>
I just came up with quite the odd concept for a character. A Sprite that has taken the path of a Mystic, and uses Giant Growth to become human sized. Would you allow a this to be a PC in your campaign? Why or why not?
A main downside to this I can come up with is the size of equipment. Would it be allowed to change with the character? Or would they be forced to carry two sets, one Sprite sized and one regular? This sounds like an entertaining character if balanced correctly.
>>
I guess the question is, what (mechanical) niche would we want the warlock to fill? Does the short rest caster make sense as a paradigm, or is there something better we could look for in the warlock?
>>
>>53650472
martial blaster.... oh wait...
>>
Stop making early threads.
>>
>>53650325
To try and throw things at a wall and see what sticks, I'll try listing an idea for a revision:

Make Eldritch Blast a class feature, not a spell. Make it an entirely separate part of the class.

Then as well as their spells (which now don't compete with Eldritch Blasts for space) and Eldritch Invocations, you have modifiers to the Eldritch Blast as other things you can choose as you increase level.

This would include additions of damage types or conditions (Including the Invocations of Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear, Frost Lance (which would also change it to cold damage), Grasp of Hadar, Kiss of Mephistopheles, and Repelling Blast)

And these options should also change how the spell appears. At the moment it's a beam of energy, and not too impressive or thematic. But by taking these options your Eldritch Blast would start becoming more like your patron: Hunger of Hadar turning it from energy to writhing tendrils to drag them in, for instance.

This way they can still be EB turrets, but they can keep the other parts of the class as well.
>>
>>53650472
I mean short rest caster could work, if warlock can really fullfill the caster roll. It can't really do that with the current spell list.
>>
>>53650268
Warlock is my favorite class, there are somethings that should be improved but no one can agree what those things are or how to do it.

Some people complain about EB spam, but I like to have a simpler spellcaster. My biggest complaint is the spell slots per day, short rests are not a good mechanic imho. I also would prefer spell points because as it is you would waste slots by casting spells like shield. It also annoys me how people just dip into the class and get most defining features, EB should be a class ability, not a cantrip.
>>
>>53650543
Invocation spells should be free, more powerful later invocations, one more base spell-slot. Then they could actually compete. Also buff their smite damage to d10s
>>
>>53650590
Nearly everyone agrees the short rest mechanic is shit. Most that defend it have never touched one for more than a 1shot
>>
Why the fuck is Static Shock the image for this thread?
>>
>>53650369
They didn't remove hexblade, there is even an invocation in the last UA that affects the sublcass hex. Did they remove cursebringer? Yes, but they still can smite and we don't know if it will still be restricted to one handed weapons with CHA when the book comes out
>>
>>53650268
Bringing up the question from last thread:
A warlock with no multiclassing, and all UA available, and all invocations related to either EB or Blade pact already chosen, what would you pick for your invocations?
>>
>>53650369
>WotC is the only source that can fix it
>While posting on 5eg

If only there was some resource online where you could share ideas and make a balanced fix, if only.
>>
>>53650674
Moon for sure desu, so I can be a good spellcasting guard dog and protect my party while they long rest because I only need an hour for my slots
>>
>>53650674
The speak dead at will, so you can shoot first, ask questions later
>>
>>53650652
I don't think short rests are necessarily a bad mechanic, the real problem is having both short and long rests and each class receiving different gains from each one.
>>
>>53650525
It was on page 8 you faggot.
>>
>>53650268
Has Space Jam finally been released as an official setting?
>>
Whats the highest passive perception a character can possibly have?
>>
>>53650678
You act like I haven't done so and continue to for every release, conversation here doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere.
>>
File: a0116150_1544492.jpg (66KB, 580x680px) Image search: [Google]
a0116150_1544492.jpg
66KB, 580x680px
>>53650705
>>
>>53650700
Well that was what I had in mind but didn't clarify. The economy is heavily in favor of long resting classes unless your group takes a short all the time.
>>
>>53650705
the quasi elemental plane of SLAM was introduced in planescape back in 2e
we will see if they go back to planescape in 5e rather than just releasing another fucking gay ass "map of the planes" type book
>>
>>53650652
Short rests are fine if done as 5-10 minutes. Essentially, short rest powers become encounter powers. That's a fine balance.
>>
>>53650779
Come on, it'll obviously be in the Spell Jam supplement, where they slam the crystal b-spheres into the Phlogiston.
>>
>>53650832
>Come on, it'll obviously be in the Spell Jam
OH SNAP!
>>
>>53650822
I did that as a GM.

Not changing the time, but each encounter is rarely back to back. Catching your breath, tending wounds, and moving at a normal or slower pace (like a careful walk) for about an hour until the next shit happens.

Also, unless you have a feature that means you dont need food, I will penalize you so hard you can't walk for a week, if yor just skip meals all day every day. No, one meal isnt enough. Get your 2 meals at minimum. Expect a fight before each meal. Guess what the time spent eating counts as?

The LR dependant classes thinks it is bullshit that I easily have 4 short rests a day, and doesn't just allow thrm to long rest after every hour of activity.
>>
>>53650268
What's with all the negros lately?
>>
>>53650913
>What's with all the negros lately?
15% of the population 50% of the violent crime.
>>
>>53650822
At that point there is no real component to their spell-slots, you just burn without management or care.
>>
>>53650375
They absolutely need some way to spend spell slots in combat as a melee character at high levels where they have to use both their action and bonus action to keep up with eldritch blast just using their action. What else could possibly suffice?
>>
>>53651036
Classes are distinct for a reason, giving warlocks a downside-free access to smites is just crazy. If you want to smite, you should have to take some levels in paladin, and get those paladin abilities at the expense of some warlock abilities.
>>
>>53650718
Well then care to share with the rest of the class, because untill such time all I have to go on is another person complaining without providing anything. Where as people like >>53650533 are throwing out ideas and ignored by the people who seem to have a vested interest in making warlocks better.
>>
>>53651171
The downside is they eat minimum 3 invocations to be good in melee, and burn a limited spell-slot to smite. Not to mention the extra opportunity cost of having to make up for shit armor profs and d8 hitdie.

I'm not completely disagreeing, but they do pay a cost, a fairly heavy one to smite.
>>
>>53650268
I always felt like warlock should just be a sorcerer subclass.
>>
I managed to get an 18 Dex, 16 Cha start. Took blade pact and picked up a rapier.

I am doing quite well. Here at level 12 I have 20 Dex and Cha. am doing 2d8+24 damage every turn with a fair amount of hit points, and a pretty okay AC because of 20 Dex and mage armour. My choice of patron predates Hexblade, and the Mace available to GoO wasn't really interesting, but with the new UA, I can add quite a bit of punch to my damage, going up with 6d8 3 times a day. Of course, the power outside of damage has also been really great, and I am being a far better support than the UA Ranger, sorcerer or the Rogue.

I also have a +2 weapon in a game where we haven't gotten any kind of magical gear at all, because Invocations.

And god help anyone who tries to 1v1 my character. Darkness + Devil's sight is as cheese as it gets.
>>
>>53651244
So you complained about people providing a critique about Warlocks in the general, then state you want more posted here.
>>
Does your party have a bag of ash? You can use it to start camp faster or use it as emergency fire against troll regen.
>>
>>53650966
Who really cares? 5e "you must rest 8 hours before you can ignore the effects of constipation again" level of balance is stupid.
>>
>>53651274
No tard commander I complain about people whining here but offering nothing other than trying to argue how an option that WotC gutted is fine. We get it, it was fine but the theory crafters on Reddit ruined that.

So instead of just bitching post ideas of how to fix it, if you knew how to read in the first place that would have been obvious from post one.
>>
>>53650662
Because OP is a SJW pinko commie trying to trigger /pol/ posters.
>>
>>53650957
50% of the violent crime.
More like 80 if we cut the bullshit.
>>
>>53651382
You realize you shitpost twice as hard as those that just throw out general complaints, especially in a thread where the topic is based on what people think of them.
>>
>>53651171
So, no alternative solution from you. Right.
>>
>>53651453
>If I just call him a shit poster it'll mean I wasn't an idiot from the beginning

Ok
>>
>tfw my DM makes Warlocks canon rapists in his setting
>>
>>53651545
Why are you so butthurt people are talking about it? Oh right, it's summer.
>>
>>53651605
>le ebin summer posting
off yourself
>>
>>53651605
>he actually believes in the summerfag meme
>>
>>53651605
>>53651635
I thought you two were suppose to be talking about Warlock.
>>
>>53650533
Eldritch Blast would be awesome if it wasn't its own thing, but instead like an Extra Attack for cantrips. Then it would be meaningful for the warlock to have a full list of cantrips.
>>
>>53651321
It's hard finding a DM who actually does the proper amount of encounters and rests.
>>
>>53651605
If people were actually talking they're wouldn't be a problem, the issue is it's thread after thread of moaning about how WotC gutted a decent option for Warlocks. We get it come up with a solution or go bitch on reddit.
>Summerfag meme

I didn't realize you were actually retarded, I thought you were merely pretending.
>>
>>53651689
EK players would shit their pants like Paladins did if Locks got bonus cantrips on attack.
>>
>>53651710
Solutions have been and continue to be posted, you cherry -picking the other posts is asinine.
>>
>>53651710
People are talking, you are ignoring it to shitpost with your buddy.
>>
>>53651713
Eldritch Knights have more attacks than a warlock, so they can suck it up.

The idea in my head is something like "At level 5, when you cast a cantrip you can also use an Eldritch Blast. Make a ranged spell attack. On a successful hit, the Eldritch Blast deals force damage equal to 1d10 plus your Charisma modifier."

Put something on Pact of the Blade that allows the blast to be a melee weapon attack instead of a ranged spell attack, adding the weapon damage onto the force damage.
>>
>>53651784
I like the idea, especially considering they continue to force EB support over everything, but I doubt they'd ever consider it due to multiclassing, their focus on smites(imagine if you could do both) and it stepping on caster locks toes.

I think it would be cool to rework the smites to EBs like you stated, but remove all the new UA EB invocations, and then couple them with the new EB smite so you could have utility options with a decent damage increase.
>>
>>53651857
Do people think stuff around level 5-6 is really a problem with multiclassing?

I thought it was the low-hanging fruit like fighter 2-3, warlock 2-3, paladin 2, etc. that people were annoyed with.
>>
>>53651691
that's because the guidelines laid out in the book are retarded from both a narrative and balance standpoint.
>>
Any word on when will the trove be updated with the new adventurer's league content? I'm a third world poor fag with no credit card for dmsguild.
>>
>>53651909
Multiclassing stops being a concern around 7ish when it starts to be a serious commitment. I mean they just tacked on heavy restrictions on the smite invocation with the 5 lock req, lock slots only, and one per turn. They did all this despite a multiclassing Pala-lock does it better, more often and harder. They seem terrified to give them more melee options honestly.
>>
PermaDM here. I don't like +1/2/3 armors or shields, and I don't like stuff like bracers of defense. When player AC gets really too high, it limits the CR of creatures that can be threatening in combat.

I'm thinking about making +1 shields reduce damage you take by 1 instead of giving 1 more AC. Any other items that give +1 AC give +1 HP per level instead.

Is this a decent idea compared to replacing those items in randomly rolled treasure?
>>
>>53651268
> rolling for stats
Your opinion is already invalid.
>>
From a purely mechanical perspective, what are the benefits of playing a dwarf martial instead of a half-orc?
>>
>>53651268
+2 weapon is gone with the new UA.
Level 12 and you still haven't encounter stuff that can dispel,counterspell,true seeing, daylight?????
>>
>>53652014
Not really because instead of not taking damage you're just giving them 1hp.
>>
>>53652065
Better con. Resistance on the most common damage type.
>>
>>53652013
>harder
It's the damage damage up to 4th level slots, and then at 5th level slots the warlock one hits harder. 1d8+1d8 per level means the number of dice is 1 higher than the slot used, which is the same math as paladin smite up 4th level slots.

I'm planning on allowing the old patron-specific weapons and the new one for patrons that didn't get a specific weapon.

>>53652065
I assume you mean classes that half-orc is the minmaxed choice for, and not stuff like rogue or wizard where dwarf makes the Str melee build viable.

The dwarf has +1 more Con, which helps with point buy or rolled stats. Stonecunning is useful in dungeons. The half-orc's crit racial isn't going to come into play that often unless you play Champion fighter or Hexblade.
>>
>>53652014
1 point of DR is meaningless after level 3.

Just don't give your players stat boosting items.
>>
>>53652127
It's more about more smites per combat, and improved smite makes up the difference in the long run.
>>
>>53652143
A +2 shield would be 2 DR, +3 would 3 DR. And it's not limited to just bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. Does that change the perception at all? IMO that makes it decent against hordes or damage auras.
>>
>>53652115
>Better con. Resistance on the most common damage type.

It's not THAT much better, though. Also, isn't fire the most common damage type?

>>53652127

Yeah, I'm talking mainly Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, etc.

Half-Orc just seems more useful and more engaging with two super useful abilities. Dwarf would be more appealing to me if they had the Goliath's Stone's Endurance ability.

Would giving Dwarf players Stone's Endurance be OP? Dwarves seem kind of weak (as martials) to me, so I personally wouldn't find anything wrong with it but I'm a very new DM still trying to learn the ropes.
>>
>>53652227
Poison is much more common than fire. Dwarves are the defensive choice for martial. Discounting the armor proficiency, poison resistance is very good and the higher Con can let you allocate ability scores and feats in a more optimal way.
>>
What are some cool lvl UA 15 builds?
>>
>>53652014
>When player AC gets really too high, it limits the CR of creatures that can be threatening in combat.

Have you considered perhaps buffing the to hit modifier of the less threatening creatures? You're reinventing the wheel instead of taking the one in front of you.
>>
>>53650268
After reading the thread....how do I Vengeance Paladin.
>>
>>53652214
At the level at which you should be getting a +3 shield or suit of armor, -3 damage is going to be completely irrelevant.
>>
>>53652375
Isn't that a past edition problem that made the +X stuff meaningless?
>>
File: leddit.png (50KB, 932x528px) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
50KB, 932x528px
Just a reminder that these are the people making sure Warlock will never be anything more than a dip class and EB spammer.
>>
>>53652457
Kill all redditors when?
>>
File: 1495753548364.jpg (156KB, 786x576px) Image search: [Google]
1495753548364.jpg
156KB, 786x576px
>party encounters a friendly skeleton
>lawful good
>helps the party
>party might be suspicious
>party might doubt him or mistrust him
>skeleton ends up sacrificing his life for the party
>villain kills the skeleton before their eyes
>it turns out that the skeleton was ___ all along
Fill in the blank.
>>
>>53652014
To be honest magic items that just give flat bonuses to stats are boring anyway. Items that give characters new abilities, even just minor ones, are way more interesting.
>>
>>53652409
What's a meaningful amount of damage reduction at different tiers of play?
>>
>>53652469
homosexual
>>
>>53652457
All it would take is a firm ruling on limiting warlock smites/features to only work for warlocks. Allow invocation dips, and taking from their spell list but nothing else. Then top it off with EB being a feature.

I'm sick of powergaming fucking over shit that could be cool.
>>
>>53652384
Be edge incarnate, smite all the evil, remember hunter's mark is good at lower levels after that stop using it
>>
>>53652489
I'm finishing up a game where I gave items that gave abilities. The players would constantly forget they had those things, so I'm trying to find a middle ground.
>>
>>53652469
>>it turns out that the skeleton was a pedophile all along
>>
>>53652469
inside a human body
>>
>>53652509
Or we could just as a community realize that powergaming will always be a thing, adopt a self balancing policy, and stop taking away cool things from the power gamers that enjoy it, purely because we're so autistic that if an option is there we HAVE to use it.
>>
>>53652531
Brah, just make an option that always hits and does infinite damage. Then the powergamers will be satisfied forever.
>>
>>53652469
They realised that the true skeleton was inside them all along.
>>
>>53652531
Hey I'm all for that, but it's a game of rules. You'll be fighting an uphill battle arguing against official text. Also can't argue with idiots like those Reddit tards saying it's a great change.
>>
>>53652469
>>it turns out that the skeleton was a paladin who fucked your sister all along
>be paladin
>fuck your sister
>oh shit no my vow!
>dont go to heaven
>get kicked out of limbo
>be skellington
>cant help but be boyscout
>prove that even undead can die
so long, old friend.
>>
Is lvl 5 a good point to give my players gauntlets of ogre power?
>>
>>53652567
Right. I'm still salty about the autists who ruined fighters, arguing that they felt compelled to used more complex features in the public test.
>>
>>53652593
Yes, even in LMoP they basically give the players the gauntlets around that level.
>>
>>53652593
LMoP gives one of those at level 5ish, so there's WotC precedent for it, whatever that's worth.
>>
>>53652618
>>53652622
But is it ever appropriate to give players a belt of storm giant strength?
>>
>>53652469
I did a great huge Noble skeleton rider in Curse of Strahd

Basically I made it so it was the spiritual imprint of our halfling rogue, who was reveled to be the latest incarnation of a series of adventurers who died trying to fight strahd

He was Cursed so every time he died and reincarnated he'd get a little shorter, and that skeleton a little taller
>>
>>53652469
>it turns out that the skeleton was a physical manifestation of all their hopes and dreams of being a skeleton all along
>>
>>53652684
When they are nearing max level why not
>>
>>53652684
Maybe in some sort of insanely high power level 20 campaign I guess.
>>
>>53652457
There is another that keep shouting that Celestial patron is overpower.
>>
>>53650268
The week that you were gone was great. Did you lose internet access, or something?
>>
>>53652733
I know I'm opening a can of worms, but jesus, who cares if he posts pictures of black adventurers? It's only an issue if you make it one.
>>
>>53650525
OP DINDU NUFFIN
HEZA GUD OP
>>
>longsword of storm that deals extra d8 thunder damage on all attacks

Too OP for level 5? It's too late now but I am curious.
>>
>>53652227
> Half-orc
> two super useful abilities
what? Relentless Endurance, which doesn't matter when 5e is a healing word zombie rush edition and Savage Attack which increase your average attack by like 0.325 damage?
>>
>>53652795
It's fine, kind of boring though.
>>
>>53651393
I mean, I hate black people and liberals as much as the next /pol/ack, but 5eg's thumbnail doesn't really do anything to me. I think he confused more people than he angered.
>>
File: it's what my character would do.jpg (18KB, 191x236px) Image search: [Google]
it's what my character would do.jpg
18KB, 191x236px
>>53652795
Basically a slightly worse damage typed level 11 paladin feature but yeah no big deal.
>>
>>53652795
I gave the Paladin in my game a cursed Greatsword that 1) saps enemy STR and 2) deals an extra d6 necrotic damage.

It was challenging at first because if he crit, he'd just one shot a lot of the harder enemies with smite. But now that I learned how to deal with it, combat has improved because of it.
>>
>>53652771
Mostly because people just can't resist shitposting in responses, so long as it doesn't devolve into the cluster fuck of page 6 threads and a couple people having to comment any time they see something sexist, racist, homophobic etc then we'll be fine.
>>
>>53652795
I guess that's like uncommon or rare magic item level of power.
whether it's OP or not is depending on your campaign.
>>
>>53650662
That looks literally nothing like Static, to the point that he's not even casting an electricity spell.

Was that literally the only black person you could think of off the top of your head?
>>
>>53652812
well I didn't want to do something like this >>53652831 because I didn't want to track extra conditions on multiple enemies. Not sure how to make it more interesting, could add a stun option but that might be way too powerful.
>>
>>53652848
Could later on add the ability to cast thunderwave x times per day.
>>
>>53652829
But only a level 8 cleric feature.
>>
>>53652844
>trigger tumblrina is triggered
>>
>>53652868
oh that's a good idea. nice and simple, no bookkeeping on my end. Perhaps I'll have them "Discover" that at some point. The guy's playing a half orc fighter and he's gotten shit rolls for hp leading to my "if you roll a 1 on hit dice you take max HP for next level" just to balance things out very slightly, but he's a cool character and I like the idea of giving him something interesting to be. Since h
>>
>>53652848
I don't actually change my enemies STR, I just say the pally gained one. That way it's on the player to keep track of that crap while I do important stuff like figuring out what in the fuck is up ahead since they are so off the rails I didn't even worldbuild this part of the fucking country yet
>>
>>53652945
As to health I'd advise either make it the average, or just tell him to use the average since he's not rolling well.
>>
>>53653025
Yeah I might do that if it starts becoming a problem. Perhaps a ritual of fortification or something, to explain it in world.
>>
What are some fun support-based cleric builds?
Going straight life seems like the obvious choice, but I want to explore some options.
>>
>>53653190
War is good in a martial-heavy party. Buff their ability to hit via Bless and Channel Divinity. Crusader's Mantle is there if they don't need Bless.
>>
>>53652041
Let's be fair, having 20 in both stats isn't really that far fetched around level 12, even if it means sacrificing other stats that you don't give a shit about.

And only having 18 charisma is fine for that build. 2 less damage per turn, but who gives a shit.
>>
>>53652080
>Level 12 and you still haven't encounter stuff that can dispel,counterspell,true seeing, daylight?????
Sure, but I rarely fight those kinds of things 1 on 1. And when I do, I typically beat the daylights out of the anyway. half elf GoO Warlock is immune to half the shit that I would worry about, and I do enough damage to kill pretty much anything that can cast dispels or counter spells without much issue.
>>
File: 7f2.jpg (55KB, 587x645px) Image search: [Google]
7f2.jpg
55KB, 587x645px
>>53652469
spooky
>>
>bargewright inn
>don't read too far into it, but make it a nexus for travelers and adventurers
>group arrives that is usually very goal oriented and combat driven
>seed the place with interesting faction members and patrons
>group role plays in the Inn for 2 hours and finds out all sorts of cool stuff about the world and the factions
>"it really put it into perspective that we are not the only adventurers out there and that there is a lot going on in the world "

Mission accomplished
>>
Speaking of interesting weapons, I have had a few odd ones.

>College of Satire Bard found a Bard weapon.
>It was a Longsword, clearly magical
>When used to fight, it always copied the targets strength. This strength was used in place of your own for the attack, both to hit and to damage.

>Monks Pillow Fists
>These oversized gauntlets of cotton and fabric was difficult to harm people with
>All attacks do full damage, regardless of resistances. This weapon will never kill a target, and can never reduce them below 1 hp. Targets hit with an attack, take a con saving throw DC 8+strength or dexterity bonus. If this is failed, the target takes a -1 cumulative penalty to hit on their next turn. If the target is hit while at 1 HP, the duration is increased to 1 minute, and the DC is increased by 7.
>>
>>53653857
Neat, but the cumulative thing on the pillow fists would be a pain to keep track of.
>>
>>53650268
WE
>>
>>53653959
WUZ
>>
>>53651291
Thats what oil flasks are for anon
>>
>>53654015
Fiscally Responsible an shiet
naaaw im just playing

KAAAAAAAAAAANGS
>>
>>53654015
WIZARDS
>>
Hmm. The black related shitposting started up about when the americans would be taking lunch breaks, and euros are sleeping.

As an american, is my country less able to resist b8 than europoors?
>>
>>53650268
Anyone play a Nature Paladin? Thinking about running a GWF dude, or is using a 2 hander a Vengeance recommended path?
>>
>>53654104
Guess we'll see based on how many replies you get.
>>
>>53652844
Static's electricity was that color I guess?
>>
>>53654104
My theory is that OP is both the racists and the sjws
>>
>>53652844
In my defense I don't even look at the thread image closely anymore and at a quick glance I saw lightning
>>
>>53654174
I'm OP. I don't care what color skin is in the OP, I only care what triggers people the most. If /5eg/ was literally tumblr, crying about overrepresentation of white people, i would be posting adventuring parties white as the driven snow.
>>
>>53654234
I should add, I'm not the guy who started posting black people in the OP. I just observed a trend, and am capitalizing on that man's pioneering art.
>>
>>53654272
Well, I'm here for D&D discussion not people being triggered, so please stop it's not funny anymore to most of the people in these threads
>>
>>53654132
If you're talking about Oath of Ancients I prefer them to Vengeance for two reasons, one I like the fluff more and two it helps support the party and gives a good buff against spells which most campaigns you run into later on.
>>
>>53650268
Love the flavor, hate the mechanics. Wish they'd get rid of the EB thing entirely and change up how Warlocks did spells.
>>
>>53654272
Well done OP! Keep doing it.
>>
>>53654358
How would you change them?
Why can't you just reskin another of the caster classes that has mechanics you like?
>>
>>53654358
I actually quite like Warlocks having reduced slots that return on short rests, I just wish they'd make the Invocations for EB just bake them into the kit instead of making Locks give up all the cool flavorful Invocations for the EB ones.
>>
>>53654344
Yeah, ancients. Got it confused with cleric domains. Seems really strong with a ton of flavor, and great utility options. With smites it looks like they'll be more than competitive in a melee setting.
>>
>>53654452
Not him, but I'd make them intelligence based casters, roll some of the invocations into the base class, and add more flavorful invocations, many of which are unique to a patron. The recent UA went in the exact wrong direction.
>>
>>53654422
>actively encouraging the destruction of these thread
Just fucking kill yourself already
>>
>>53654523
>Implying it isn't the same person

Come on man this guy is a one trick pony
>>
>>53653855
>Bargewright Inn

Anon I gift my sides to you.
>>
>>53654555
I know it deep down anon but I don't want to admit it, how could one man be so obviously a samefag?
>>
>>53654468
They can be, the main thing to decide is "do I want to focus on self buffs or team buffs?" Also I've hardly seen any other paladin besides Vengeance and they always try and act like their oaths don't matter and they can do whatever. Then again that's my personal experience so I'm gonna roll up an Ancients when I get it play instead of DM.
>>
>>53654590
It's 4chan and people like to ruin other people's fun because they're miserable inside and it brings them a brief moment of happiness to know they annoyed some random stranger on the internet.
>>
>>53654658
Its a shame, but what else would I expect from 4chan
>>
>>53654523
>destruction of these thread
How do you even browse this site if minor /pol/posts destroys a thread for you. It's as easily ignorable as pie. If it's too much for you then just step away from the /5eg/ until you get over it. like wtf man.
>>
>>53654755
They don't, it's the people responding to them that ruin it for me, I can stomach this shit but the threads just don't have the same atmosphere they used to
>>
>>53654755
Also, the fact that the /pol/posts are being actively encouraged if fucking deplorable
>>
>>53650957
Iirc in order according to the DoJ i thought it was
White on white
Black on black
White on hispanic
Black on white
White on black
Hispanic on hispanic
And for some reason no one fucked with the asians
>>
>>53654798
Can't relate. But I would also speak out if I thought this place started to homogenize with the rest of the rest of this despicable site. Because after a year here I just can't go on any other board.

>>53654818
Don't see how they are encouraged, mods are being lazy mods and removing the /pol/sters.
>>
File: IMG_1382.jpg (56KB, 600x494px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1382.jpg
56KB, 600x494px
>>53654916
>posting bait in op
>actively arguing with the /pol/posters
>Don't see how that are encouraged
>>
I've been toying with the idea of creating a gish subclass for either the fighter or the paladin, leaning towards using the paladin as more of a template so that I don't have to fuck with all the ASIs and extra attacks a fighter gets.

Basically, I've been thinking of making so using spells fuel your attack. Sort of like a smite, but lower damage and on a separate resource. Use a spell slot, charge up your attack, hit monsters with charged up attack.

Does that sound even remotely fun? Or is it just too much micromanaging?
>>
>>53654916
>I perceive a problem therefore I'm going to shit up an entire general even if no on agrees there was a problem

Ok
>>
>>53654916

>Mods should remove people who disagree with me because I'm special

Please stop posting
>>
>>53654965
>Black people
>Bait
This isn't 1930s anymore.
>>
>>53654970
So why not just smite and refluff? If it's going to be weaker than smite but be a not!smite then why the fuck waste the time and energy when fluffing achieves the same result.
>>
>>53655043
This is 4chan, everyone is bait to someone
>>
>>53655043
It's more of the combination of doing it on purpose and earlier than people normally agreed a general should go to (page 8-10) specifically to trigger people. Unfortunately you can't push the angle of trying to mix it up because you, and others, have out right stated it's bait.
>>
>>53654234
>>53654272
>we need more diversity
>I'm not a SJW I swear

Nope, just a dime a dozen redditor
>>
File: Cataroo.jpg (61KB, 540x427px) Image search: [Google]
Cataroo.jpg
61KB, 540x427px
>>53655056
>This is 4chan, everyone is bait to someone
awwwwww :3
>>
>>53655085
Little do they know they don't get their precious fake internet shekels here, silly goyim
>>
I've been trying to think of bizarre, esoteric trinkets for my players that /seem/ useless but could have lots of creative applications. Any input, /tg/?

Bag of Holding and Immediately Dropping
>Any object put into the Bag of Holding and Immediately Dropping will actually appear six inches directly above the head of whoever put the object into it.

The Ble Mirror
>A blue mirror that doesn't reflect creatures, including the one holding it (because it's missing "u!")

Chest of Curiosity
>When all three clasps are in place, it will sound and feel as if there are several small objects inside of varying shapes and textures rattling around inside. However, if a single clasp is undone, the sounds will cease and the sense of weight will disappear. It is impossible to open the box without undoing all three clasps.

Ersatz Eyepatch
>The wearer will always be able to see right through this eyepatch as if they weren't wearing it at all.

Swaying Weight
>Between midnight and noon, it weighs one-tenth of a pound. Between noon and midnight, it weighs twenty pounds.
>>
File: 1465784342095.png (130KB, 504x381px) Image search: [Google]
1465784342095.png
130KB, 504x381px
>start making a dragonborn paladin
>want to be the paladin of bahamut
>holy symbol is a platinum dragon head emblem
>want to have a holy symbol attached to the bottom of my greatsword charm-style
>want to cast paladin spells by holding the greatsword straight upward so the symbol dangles in front
>can't think of a symbol that would work since the head symbol isn't very charm-esque
>tfw Bahamut is pissing me off
>tempted to abandon deities and make my paladin powers come from my conviction in justice instead
Should I just give up and go with a lame platinum emblem etching in my armor?
>>
>>53655043
>shoehorning in ethnic minorities into a European themed setting with no effort to even include the cultures that would warrant that
>nothing more than exotification and tokenism
How do you not think you're racist?
>>
>>53655167
Make it the sword's crossguard, it just might work
>>
>>53655167
Just have the tip of the hilt shaped like a dragon head.
>>
>>53653924
Nah it was only used for shits and giggles.

Also, you know, place a die and change it to match. Pretty damn easy.

Besides, the main point was to just beat the ever loving shit out of someone without killing them. When we suddenly have a boss guy striking at -15 to hit, constantly being punched in the dick by some stupid Zen monk that refuses to kill, you get pretty fucking frustrades.
>>
>When you finish a short rest, you can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you can reduce your exhaustion level by 1. Each time you use this feature after the first, the DC increases by 5. When you finish a long rest, the DC resets to 15.

When should this come online for a Berseker bard? 3rd or 6th level?
>>
>>53655187
Wow, did you get all that from a picture?
>>
>>53655144
Change the ble mirror to reflect everyone but the observer and this list is gold.
>>
>>53655192
>>53655195
Would the average DM would allow me to combine my holy symbol into my greatsword like that (starting at level 1)? With a charm you can cut it off or snatch it off, but if it's my crossguard/hilt you'd have to entirely disarm me.

I do really like that idea though.
>>
>>53655219
4rd
>>
>>53655250
How is it any different than the
>le million focuses hidden all throught my clothing
>>
>>53655219
*Berserker barb
>>
>>53655238
So far one thread had a Tabaxi fighter and the rest has been shitty Ankh Life hotep level Deviant Art.
>>
What's the most overpowered ranger build there is?

DM is a casual so I can just get away with everything.
>>
How broken would it be to give a level 9 bladelock a magic weapon that lets them replenish a spell slot every time they kill a legitimately threatening creature with it?
>>
File: 1490999340625.jpg (189KB, 1200x860px) Image search: [Google]
1490999340625.jpg
189KB, 1200x860px
>>53655274
I suppose I always just played a little more fair
>>
>>53655219
>>53655275
I'd say tie it in with sixth level
>>
File: IMG_1383.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1383.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>53655335
>he thinks ranger can be over powered
>>
>>53653855
>bargewright inn
that's gonna be in my next game. Thank you anon.
>>
File: 1470311952510.jpg (287KB, 1097x614px) Image search: [Google]
1470311952510.jpg
287KB, 1097x614px
>>53655335
>overpowered ranger build
>>
I need some names for two playable races that are mechanically Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. Both are the result from spiritual influence on a birth or of a tryst between a mortal and a spirit/monster. The name should fit into a sort of an oriental setting.
>>
>>53655335
>What's the most overpowered ranger build there is?
Pure fighter
or Pure druid.
>>
>>53655250
The only con i can see would be your DM asking you to have the hilt reshaped by a blacksmith every time you get a new sword.
>>
>>53655386
There are Moon and Sun Elves. Make a simple name like that for your offshoots.
>>
>>53655357
If I remember right somewhere in the PHB it says you can have your holy symbol worked into something.
>>
>>53655399
Pure fighter with archery?

How do I optimize that with UA?

DM also let me craft hill giant potions previous campaign, it was fun.
>>
>>53655427
Elves don't exist nor are playable in this setting. I'm deliberately using only Humans, Genasi, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Tieflings, and Aasimar.
>>
>>53655452
Core is Hand Crossbow SS+CBE Battle Master.

With UA you use the Sharpshooter archetype.
>>
>>53655478
>no halflings
>>
>cloak of beezulbub let you gain advantage on intimidation checks and mild AoE damage if things were right the fuck next to you at the start of your turn. You could toggle it at will
>it was changed to cloak of flies, a short rest/long rest ability.

Who the fuck complained about this being at will, and why?
>>
File: phone.jpg (22KB, 249x271px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
22KB, 249x271px
>>53655478
>half-elves
>but no elves

?
>>
>>53655621
WotC saw something good that wasn't related to EB...they rectified this.
>>
>>53655500
Nope, no halflings.

>>53655624
I'm using their mechanics, not their fluff. They're a sort of miscellaneous spirit mutt person now.
>>
>>53655654
But they are half ling why are you excluding then :^)
>>
File: 1494226748005.jpg (6KB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
1494226748005.jpg
6KB, 250x209px
>>53655654
Sounds like a horrible setting.
>>
>>53655495
Thanks
>>
>>53655666
Don't suit the tone nor aesthetic of the game I want to run.
>>
>>53655694

Your disapproval is noted. Now how about some names?
>>
>>53655701
Anon why is there a stick up your butt
>>
Would it be ok if Remarkable Athlete also worked as Reliable Talent for champion fighters? As in, any Str/Dex check you make, you can treat a roll of 9 or lower as a 10? Would it be too good? What if you could treat any roll of 4 or below as a 5?
>>
>>53655724
There isn't one?

I don't have to make all the PHB options available in my games as a DM.
>>
>>53655734
*Any Str/Dex check you have proficiency in
>>
>>53655750
I've been making jokes anon, and you've not been noticing them, you might have one up there
>>
>>53655624
I actually really like the idea of settings where half-elves are the only elvish race to actually appear, because the real of the elves are, you know, fey; not of this world
>>
File: 1489177883165.jpg (93KB, 750x705px) Image search: [Google]
1489177883165.jpg
93KB, 750x705px
>>53655714
If you had actual elves you could call them Void Elves or something equally edgy, but it's a terrible name to say Void Half-Elf.

I recommend killing yourself or inventing an entirely new name for the race instead.

But why would you invent a new name for a half-elven race when you could just use the official name of half elf?

Do you enjoy complicating your shitty campaign settings?
>>
>>53655777
Jokes need a punchline, otherwise it's not a joke. Sarcasm is difficult to convey over text.
>>
>>53655777
Sadly full house confirms
>>
>>53655804
The rest of the elves*
fuck me
>>
>>53655810
>But why would you invent a new name for a half-elven race when you could just use the official name of half elf?

There's no elves, so you can't be half of something that doesn't exist.

>Do you enjoy complicating your shitty campaign settings?

Nothing complicated about it. It's a name for existing mechanics in the PHB. That's complicated to you? Minorly changing the material is too complicated to you?
>>
>>53652013
>7ish
>serious commitment
How high level do your campaigns get? 7 is beyond a serious commitment; serious commitment starts at like 3.
>>
File: enlightenment.jpg (58KB, 449x449px) Image search: [Google]
enlightenment.jpg
58KB, 449x449px
>>53655804
If you have half elves just name them half elves.

>>53655858
If you don't have elves then don't name them elves.
>>
What should I take for my free school spell as a 5th level Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>53655804
That's the sort of idea i'm going for. The fey are nature spirits like the kami of japanese mythology.The "half-elf" race is connected to these spirits like a blessed birth or the result of a spirit having a child with a mortal.
>>
>>53655903
>If you don't have elves then don't name them elves.

I'm not?

That's why I posted looking for different names. I like the mechanics so i'm using them, but i'm not using the name.
>>
>>53655949
so they're elves then?
>>
>>53655399
Isn't UA archer quite strong?
>>
>>53655980
No.
>>
>>53655994
I haven't looked at it much, but battlemaster archer is quiet strong.
>>
>>53655997
call them not!elves.
>>
>>53656031
No.
>>
>>53650664
I think people have seriously misunderstood something about Hexblade. Hexblade was NEVER compatible with smites. The smite weapons are tied to pact of the blade, not Hexblade patron. The Hexblade's specific pact of the blade smite weapon was a greatsword, and greatswords are 2-handed weapons. As such, it doesn't benefit from the Hexblade's Charisma-as-martial-stat feature. A hexblade trying to smite would be one of the most MAD things ever designed; you'd need 14 DEX, max STR and high if not max CHA, and then as much CON as possible.

Now, however, they actually do get smite. If anything, the new changes are a straight buff to Hexblade's viability as a subclass.
>>
File: 1465997039838.png (284KB, 650x581px) Image search: [Google]
1465997039838.png
284KB, 650x581px
>>53655997
If it looks like an elf, acts like an elf, and talks like an elf, it isn't an elf or a half-elf.

Sounds about right, Anon. 10/10. Gg.
>>
>>53656075
This guy has no sense of humor
>>
>>53656094
The only mythological nature spirit you can think of is an elf?

Disappointing.
>>
>>53656132
call them chupacabras
>>
>>53656132
You're the one saying you want a not!elf half-elf not!half-elf.

Compare it to something else and use your pea-brain, you imbecile.
>>
>>53655949
Ah, so like Oriental Adventures' Spirit Folk?
>>
>>53656151
>>Compare it to something else and use your pea-brain, you imbecile.

Did I not just say that they're closer to people blessed or born from a mortal and a kami?

>>53656157
Yes. Or like the Godblooded from Exalted.
>>
>>53656215
>Did I not just say that they're closer to people blessed or born from a mortal and a kami?
Half-kami. Done!
>>
File: 1491326896881.jpg (63KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491326896881.jpg
63KB, 900x900px
>>53656268
Now he just has to give them pointy ears with +2 Dexterity and a Half-Kami Weapon Training trait with two subraces: Sun Half-Kami and Moon Half-Kami.

And the Half-Kami that mate with pure mortals produce Quarter-Kami that have +2 Charisma modifiers.

So original!
>>
>>53655048
Because a gish is an arcane fighter that dual wields spells and swords. While the Paladin itself is a great template with how smite works, it's not quite there.

My way would make that you can cast something else besides a SCAGtrip and still feel like your arcane magic is empowering your weapons every time you spend your resources.

But okay, whatever. Just reflluf it if that works for you. It doesn't for everybody, so try to be at least a bit constructive with feedback.
>>
>>53656323
>donut steel
>>
>>53656323
Man, anon, is pgg so dry you have to come shit up this place? Refluffing elves isn't a crime. You do your thing, Half-elf anon

As for name suggestions, have you considered "Children of X" or somesuch? A setting-based name might be best
>>
File: Plane Shift Kaladesh.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Plane Shift Kaladesh.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>53656215
Half-Elves: Aetherial-born.

Half-Orcs: Monster-born.

Boom. If you want, there is a race made for the Magic The Gathering Plane Shift called Atherborn that has some shit you may like. I think it's the Kaladesh shift, but it shouldn't be too hard to find it either way, because here it is.
>>
>>53649859
I think the best framework for a Binder class now is Mystic. I'm not saying "take a Mystic and fluff it as Binder", but to use its discipline mechanics to replicate what a Binder does.

So a Mystic starts with 3 Disciplines and learns more as they level. That's gone. Each Discipline is now an individual pact entity, a Vestige, and you make your contract(s) and choose your Vestige (Discipline) at the start of each long rest.
The Vestige/Discipline now tells you what powers it provides; there's a passive benefit and a bunch of active powers which, instead of running off PP, now have turn recharges. If this guy lets you breathe fire like a Dragonborn, it'll be X rounds until you can do it again. Some powerful abilities would be limited by rest.

So this Binder is now a versatile character, but it needs to have some idea of what it's getting into and succeed in its contracting rolls. It can't spam like a Mystic, but it's guaranteed to always have something to do even if short rests are rare, since powers would recharge between encounters. It also can't do everything at once because you're limited to just a Vestige or two, but one day you could be a heavy armor-wearing bruiser with a greatsword and teleporting powers, and the next day you are the utility master with some spell-like nukey effects.
>>
>>53656323
>Now he just has to give them pointy ears with +2 Dexterity and a Half-Kami Weapon Training trait with two subraces: Sun Half-Kami and Moon Half-Kami.

No you idiot. I am not using elves at all. You have poor reading comprehension.

I am using the mechanics of the half-elves for this race.
>>
>>53650913
We're going to Chult, Anon.

Do you think anyone would be on about Bugbearmont if not for VGtM and CoS? All of our threads will be about beholders, dinosaurs, liches, jungles, traps, and black people until this time next year. Enjoy.
>>
File: consider the horse head.jpg (81KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
consider the horse head.jpg
81KB, 500x375px
>>53655335
>Wood Elf
>Mobile Feat
>Ranger 5/Monk 1
>Total Movement: 55
>Spike Growth
>When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels.
>Grapple enemy
>Extra attack shove to the ground
>Step of the Wind to Dash on Bonus Action
>While Dragging movement speed is halved, so total speed = 55 on grappling turn, 82.5 every turn where opponent is already grappled.
>22d4 damage on grappling turn, 33d4 on already grappled turn.
>If you take Expertise instead of Mobile to ensure a grapple your damage is 18d4 and 27d4.
>>
File: 1489769678297.jpg (67KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1489769678297.jpg
67KB, 432x585px
>>53656453
>>
>>53656268
>>53656412

I'm looking for a name that others would use to refer to their kind. They're the subject of folklore and a rare but blessed people. Again, like the Godblooded of Exalted. Mechanically they're generic enough to represent a general blessed or godblooded mortal.
>>
>>53656485
Fartnockers
>>
>>53656423
Neither of those really fit the oriental aesthetic or tone I want to convey.
>>
>>53656453
There's a problem with that plan. It says "When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing every 5 feet." It does not say anything about it being an enemy or not.

So you better have a way to negate getting hurt by your own hubris with that.
>>
>>53656485
Why not Xborn, like that other anon suggested, then? Not a fan of Aetherialborn in particular, but Monsterborn sounds great for Half-Orc. Maybe Faeborn? Spiritborn? Soulborn? Something like that?

Forestborn if there's still a tie to the forest in the fluff of the spirits
>>
>>53652553
So nuclear druid?
>>
>>53656485
>I'm looking for a name that others would use to refer to their kind
Faglords
>>
>>53655250
>>53655274
I've got this houserule in my current campaign.
>Spellcasting - All spellcasting or psionic power manifestation aside from cantrips and talents requires a focus of some sort. To cast, this object must be held or grippable. It may be worked into another piece of equipment (a religious symbol on a shield or saint’s reliquary in the pommel of a sword; a token of the natural world like animal horns or feathers dangling from a gun’s grip; an arcane orb atop a staff; a psionically-charged crystal worn around the neck). Pursuant to the Object Interaction / Free Hand houserule, worn foci can still be manipulated even if your hands are otherwise occupied with equipment. Loss of a focus also ends any Concentration effect.

>Multiple foci are allowed, but only one may be magically charged and attuned to you at a time. Attuning to a new foci takes an action, so if a magic staff or psi-sword is knocked away and a creature has to go fishing for another magic token in their bag, they are limited to bonus and reaction spells until their next turn. Reacquiring the original focus is thus preferred. The intent is that spellcasters (both PCs and enemies) can be meaningfully disarmed or disrupted, but not rendered entirely helpless.

The Object Interaction / Free Hand thing mentioned there basically says "you can draw as many weapons as you want, make as many throwing attacks as you want, drink a potion even if you have a shield and sword," and various other things "within reason", designed to not penalize mundane or interesting actions because of the retarded RAW stuff.
>>
>>53656514
Ranger ignores difficult terrain.

Barring that you can simply drag them inside the circle while you run along the outside.
>>
>>53656514
You walk on the edge, back and forth.
>>
>>53656559
>Ranger ignores difficult terrain.
they do not, however, ignore the damage from the spell.

Retard.
>>
>>53656453
Monks don't have ki or Step of the Wind until 2. Probably better to just go Rogue so you can bonus action Dash every round forever instead of worrying about that limited resource.

And if you went Thief Rogue, you could also throw down caltrops with your bonus action for even more pain.
>>
>>53656566
>>53656559
While the difficult terrain thing may work, that seems pretty uncertain and would need a talk with your DM to justify it.

The walking on the edge just won't work, however, because a grappled creature shares the same 5-foot space as you. Unless your DM is more "theater of the mind" and cares less about the specific rules when it comes to spaces, then it would work.
>>
>>53656521
I suppose if I had to, but i'm looking for something like Tianshi, meaning angel and is the name of the Aasimar in the campaign.
>>
>>53656573
>implying some thorny vines does anything to me if I'm wearing fullplate
>>
>>53656602
well, according to the spell, you're about to eat some major shit.
>>
>>53656349
Nah if you post stupid shit I'm gonna tell you it's stupid since that is literally what a paladin does this edition.
>>
>>53656611
>tell the DM the spell gives people made of fucking metal an exemption
>when he goes to look it up, slam the book in his face
>tell him to adjudicate this shit logically
Spike Growth doesn't say it spawns depleted uranium-chromium-adamantine alloy vines covered in monomolecular diamond-tipped laser-thorns.
>>
>>53656503
>>53656598
Hanyo. Japanese word for half-human, half-yokai, Han for half, Yo for Apparition.

How's that.
>>
>>53656657
>Spike Growth doesn't say it spawns depleted uranium-chromium-adamantine alloy vines covered in monomolecular diamond-tipped laser-thorns.

No, but it DOES say that your faggot ass is going to take some fucking damage if you walk through that shit.
>>
>>53656663
That's exactly what i'm looking for thank you.
>>
File: hack the planet.jpg (279KB, 1024x989px) Image search: [Google]
hack the planet.jpg
279KB, 1024x989px
>>53656657
It does if you're a level 9 Cyber-Drood upcasting it with a 5th level slot.
>>
>>53656657

Are you competing for most-retarded-post-in-the-thread or something?
>>
I need some good reference material for an Arabian country. Can you reccomend anything?

I was going to start with the 2e Al-Quadim books and look at pathfinder's katapesh.
>>
>>53656694
>NO I DONT WANT HALF-ELF!
>What about (japanese for half-elf)
>YES! THAT'S PERFECT!
>>
>>53656652
It's literally not, but I'm not going to just argue ad eternum with you about this. You do you.
>>
>>53656449
What's Culth?
>>
>>53656453
>>53656584
That's quite brilliant.

Especially if the DM lets me craft hill giant strength potions again.

>>53656595
My GM wouldn't know how to handle it, I'd have free reign
>>
>>53656729
It's the Forgotten Realms jungle setting.
>>
>>53656720
Are you being an idiot on purpose?
>>
>>53656720
Well to be fair his players probably don't speak japanese.
>>
>>53656584
Rogues do not get cunning action until 2 either.
>>
>>53656690
Based on your logic, a player takes damage from Spike Growth even if they're floating on a Tenser's disk, riding on a wagon, or sitting inside an Apparatus of Kwalish, because they're technically "in the area".
>>
>>53656747
Yes?
>>
>>53656736
>My GM wouldn't know how to handle it, I'd have free reign
That's kind of a shitty way of looking at it, anon, you should be trying to help your DM, not fuck them over.
>>
>>53656742
Oh neat!
>>
New bread when?
>>
>>53656762
>I shouldnt take damage from spike growth because it hit my armor not me!
>I shouldnt take damage from fireball because it hit my armor not me!
>I shouldnt take damage from magic missile because it hit my armor not me!
>I shouldnt take damage from a sword because it hit my armor not me!
>>
>>53656657
>itsmagic.jpg
>>
>>53656595
>because a grappled creature shares the same 5-foot space as you
Point to the piece of text that says this beyond your imagination. The grappled condition puts your speed to 0. You can't move into a hostile creature's space unless you're 2 sizes smaller.
>>
File: 1493861181204.png (129KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493861181204.png
129KB, 300x300px
>>53656817
>Not answering any of his arguments
>>
>>53656602
You just said you were a wood elf monk/ranger, which gives you proficiency in medium armor at best. Where are you getting fullplate proficiency from?
>>
>>53656880
I don't have to, the spell says "you take damage." Not "you take damage, unless you are wearing platemail."
>>
>>53656657
You know what? If I was DM, I would allow you to argue that you are plated so well that the thorns can't hurt you.

However, I would also inform you that you are now a living statue; a man trapped in a slab of metal with no breaks anywhere. Also, enjoy suffocating with no airholes to allow you to breathe.

Because that's the level of coverage you're going to need to avoid getting stabbed by MAGIC THORNS as you are dragged into a bed of MAGIC THORNS that are MAGICALLY INCLINED to find any place they can to poke you.
>>
File: 1461205952581.jpg (43KB, 680x499px) Image search: [Google]
1461205952581.jpg
43KB, 680x499px
>>53656602
>he thinks you wear steel on the bottom of greaves
>>
>>53656898
Tenser's disk allows you to float, thus allowing you to bypass the spikes. So do you take damage from the Sharpened, spiky air?
>>
>>53656694
Just so you know, that's a completely made-up modern term literally only as old as the Inuyasha manga.
>>
>>53656951
They're fucking magic thorns, they could be 4 feet tall for all you know.
>>
>>53656951
The spell targets a 20ft radius of ground. The disk floats 5ft above the ground.
>>
>>53656951
>Tenser's floating disk
>The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it.
Your ass isn't floating anywhere
>>
>>53656982
>Serialized in 1996
Well to be fair that shit's more than 20 years old at this point.
>>
>>53655386
Nightchildren
Aetherborn
Spriteblooded

Mix and mash from those. Or maybe call them Jinns or demi-jinns? That's what spirits who mess with humans in an oriental setting evoke to me.

Going with the Jinn theme, you could also straight up recycle Arabic words.
Madroub, Markoub, Maskoun, Mamlouk, Malbouss ("struck", "ridden", "inhabited", "possessed", "worn" by jinn)
Hawāǧis (a jinn who enjoys art and can be an artist's muse)
Majnūn ("possessed" or "insane")
>>
>>53656863
Alright, never mind. I looked into the rules again, and at least in the PHB, turns out you're correct. Sorry about that, it must be something that a previous DM said that just stuck to my mind.
>>
>>53656918
>he's a professional armored adventurer but hasn't hired dwarven cobblers and smiths to craft boots which have iron plates between the insole and the outsole
>he walks into a space full of Lego, caltrops, or ball bearings and takes individual steps instead of shuffling his feet through to knock them all aside without stepping on them
>>
>>53656982
That's totally fine, this setting can be weeb as shit. It just needs to sound right and suit the tone of the game.
>>
>>53657027
No one wears that. If you want to, reduce your speed, and take a dex save penalty.
>>
>>53657027
>which have iron plates between the insole and the outsole
unless there is some area of NOT METAL between the ball of your foot and heel, you're shoes are fucking useless to walk in.
>>
>>53657005
>the armored knight is the guy creating the disk
Obviously your Wizard friend is off to the side and you're using your glaive (because you're a sassy PAM boy) to fly around on it like a gondola

>>53657001
Key word being "ground". It doesn't say "a 20 foot radius of space is turned into thorns".
>>
>>53657061
>Key word being "ground". It doesn't say "a 20 foot radius of space is turned into thorns".
Okay? You realize the disk puts you above the area, and you standing on a piece of leather (your shoe) doesn't, right?
>>
>>53657061
>Obviously your Wizard friend is off to the side and you're using your glaive (because you're a sassy PAM boy) to fly around on it like a gondola

>ranger murders your wizard friend
>you are now stranded in the middle of pure fuckery.
>>
>>53657055
>anon disproves the physics and very concept of plate armor
At least try to think about how this would work before screeching.
>>
>>53657087
I'm actually balanced on the top half of my glaive and hopping out of the area.
>>
>>53657088
if the bottom of your shoes are a solid plate of steel, you would not be able to function in them, you would have no balance and your movement would be drastically reduced.

>>53657121
your glaive takes damage from the spell and breaks.
>>
>>53657082
The whole point of those examples was to get the other guy to admit that the thorns are in fact just a tangled mess low to the ground and not some ethereal field of spikey fuck-you that extends at least 20 feet straight up.

So tenser's disc floats. Does your wooden wagon instantly get shredded by some thorns? Does your crab-crawling submarine made of metal get punctured 20 thousand ways until the vines are flying into your face? No, that's ridiculous. So if that shit's proof against the vines, so would your plate armor be.
>>
>>53657136
It's a good thing the post said "plates" and we already have an excellent example of how you can LAYER PLATES to allow for flexibility and motion without leaving massive gaps that could be easily slipped between.
>>
>>53657160
>Does your wooden wagon instantly get shredded by some thorns? Does your crab-crawling submarine made of metal get punctured 20 thousand ways until the vines are flying into your face?
Yes? Why would they not? If they move through the area, they take damage.

>>53657179
if there's enough flexibility to walk, there's enough to shred your ass.
>>
>>53657136
The spell only damages creatures, my glaive is safe.

For that matter, so is my armor and the bottoms of my boots, whether they're made of plain leather or that weird plate thing. They're all objects and thus invincible.
>>
File: irrelevant opinion.gif (983KB, 346x191px) Image search: [Google]
irrelevant opinion.gif
983KB, 346x191px
>"i shouldn't be hurt by this because ________!"
>my RAW when
>>
Are y'all excited for dinos and amazons?
>>
>>53656727
>I have no argument so I'll just make a post pretending I do

Ok
>>
>>53657209
>my RAW when
>posts a gif from Smackdown
>>
>>53657198
What part of the concept of layered plates is giving you difficulty, Anon?
>>
>>53657229
the part where they are magically completely encasing your foot AND providing flexibility, but somehow keeping magic thorns out. To provide flexibility there has to be gaps somewhere.
>>
File: 1435159630915.jpg (8KB, 255x139px) Image search: [Google]
1435159630915.jpg
8KB, 255x139px
>>53657160
>Does your wooden wagon instantly get shredded?
Yeah fucker, if it doesn't get tangled up the spokes are fucking ruined and clogged up. The other option is not something that ever happens, but if you could pull it off, that would be fine.

However, plate armor would NOT do shit, precisely because Plate of how the game and real life works. In game, as long as it bypasses your AC, you get the damage. Plate doesn't auto-reduce damage. In reality, plate armor doesn't do shit to your feet. Unless you're explicitly buying iron plated soles, shoes are going to be leather on the bottom, from normal shoes to knight shoes to king shoes.

For fuck's sake man, stop being a fucking retard and accept that, if you are touching the ground, either in feet or shoes or armor or anything other than a vessel of transport, you are taking the 2d4 every 5 feet.
>>
>>53657258
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYEEEEEEERRREEEEEEEEDDDDDDD
>>
>>53657328
MAGIC SPIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

See? I can be just as retarded as you.
>>
>>53657055
>unless there is some area of NOT METAL between the ball of your foot and heel, you're shoes are fucking useless to walk in
someone inform the dutch and the japanese, they've been walking wrong for the past several hundred years
>>
>>53657359
there's a reason they don't wear those anymore, anon.
>>
>>53657301
Spike Growth doesn't have an attack roll.
>>
>>53657391
neither does fireball, and since plate doesn't protect you from that...
>>
File: at least my ass looks perky.jpg (41KB, 531x613px) Image search: [Google]
at least my ass looks perky.jpg
41KB, 531x613px
>>53657373
Yeah, we've moved on to even less comfortable styles of footwear.
>>
>>53657441
we both know women don't count.
>>
>>53657391
You know what else doesn't have an attack roll?

Magic Missile. You still take the damage in full plate. Same with Spike Growth.
>>
>>53657414
Fireball is an expanding pressure wave (sans concussive damage) with superheated air and plasma behind it that explicitly flows around corners and obstacles. Of course platemail doesn't stop that.
>>
>>53657463
see
>>53657460
>>
>>53657460
>magically homing bolts of pure arcane energy dealing an exotic damage type that is not simply bludgeoning or thunder damage
>pointy wood
>>
>>53657492
show me in the description of spiked growth where it says "pointy wood"

Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>53657505
>The ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point within range twists and sprouts hard spikes and thorns.
You're right, Anon.
It's POINTY DIRT, which is even shittier.
>>
>>53657549
doesn't say pointy dirt, or pointy wood. it says HARD SPIKES AND THORNS

for all we know, those could be adamantine spikes and spectral thorns. it doesn't specify. But you know what it DOES specify? When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels
>>
>>53657492
>pointy wood
>not magical nature that creates sharp spikes that sprout from the ground, which are probably the earth sprouting chunks of iron and stone in jagged, blisteringly sharp points

You forgot that Spike growth doesn't require a forest area. It can go ANYWHERE. Desert, tundra, the antarctic, anywhere where there is solid ground on Earth.
>>
>>53657602
My armor's not a creature. So are these ethereal thorns that exist between dimensions and assault my lifeforce itself irrespective of any matter between me and then? Why are they doing piercing damage, then? Why do they slow my movement speed?
>>
>>53657650
because the spell says so.
>>
>>53657672
>>53657650
he's got you there
>>
>>53657691
New thread
>>
>>53652469
sad/lonely
>>
>>53655379
>>53654564
It's already a part of the sword coast!
>>
Work in progress, but I wanted to get your opinion on the blade pact changes.

To sum them up:
Extra attack and damage invocations rolled into base pact, can summon ranged weapons, can bind artifacts or sentient weapons, and the smite invocations were tweaked a lot.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (82KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
82KB, 1x1px
>>53658376
>>53658376
Doh.
>>
I'm considering running a sorta high magic game where everyone has a True Name and some sort of magic tied to that. How would you rule on this? 1-2 cantrips? 1 1st level spell that refreshses on a long rest? Magic Initiate for free?
>>
>>53651268
>2d8+24
how?
Thread posts: 369
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.