[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Sunlight Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 55

File: Pelor.gif (32KB, 214x257px) Image search: [Google]
Pelor.gif
32KB, 214x257px
>Stream of Annihilation:
http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation

>Unearthed Arcana Update
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
>>53609906

Where were you when you found out that the sun doesn't produce sunlight?
>>
>>53621312
Wait, isn't Sun Sensitivity for the Drow a debuff in sunlight? So if the Sun doesn't produce sunlight RAW, does that mean Drow aren't debuffed?
>>
In some games/settings, the sun is just a portal that orbits the Material Plane and is a connection to the Plane of Positive Energy.
>>
>the sun doesn't produce sunlight
The Sun does produce sunlight, but the planet's atmosphere filters that sunlight into ordinary light. Otherwise you'd take radiant damage by stepping outside. Spells like Sunbeam produce unfiltered sunlight, which is much more potent.
>>
You see, for something to produce sunlight it must be explicitely stated that it produces sunlight. For both the sun blade and the sunbeam spell we have the phrase "This light is sunlight." This bring about the understanding that for something to produce sunlight it must be explicitly stated to do so. Since only the spell Sunbeam and the Sun Blade magic item contain this text, this means that these are the only sources of sunlight available in the game. And since the sun is not explicitly stated at any point in 5th edition that it produces light, or much less does it produce sunlight, we can conclude that the sun does not produce light or sunlight in 5th edition. We would be able to state that the sun in fact does not exist in 5th edition however because the sun is referred to on its own as "sun" and not as the compound word "sunlight" we do know that the sun does in fact exist in 5e by RAW, however by that same RAW it does not produce light or sunlight.
>>
Looking for some ideas, /5eg/ anons.

For the past little bit in my campaign, I've been setting it up that there has been an increasing degree of "weird shit" happening on the continent that the players have been on. This has all been leading up to a "minor" Far Realm incursion where a rift is going to split open between the Material Plane and the Far Realm, and I want "cosmic radiation" to mutate that section of the land underneath the rift.

Currently, I've got it planned out that the rift opens up above a healthy forest near the ocean, about a week's travel from a decently-sized town. I already have descriptions ready for what the stuff does to the trees (some become fleshy, others go aetherial/translucent) and the land (it becomes glassed and turns into a super slick surface), but how would you guys recommend I have it affect the animals, and what sort of unique traits would occur?

This particular forest is home to wolves, bears, various birds (hawks, owls, etc.), and cougars, with there being a small bandit camp (occupied by humans, half-orcs, and half-elves) who are looking to GTFO before the changes to the animals and plants begin to affect them.
>>
>>53621500
>"MEANWHILE, AT AUTISM CASTLE"
>>
>>53621500
At first I was like: "Wait, did I miss something important in recent lore developements?"

But than I was like: "Ah, it's Aragorn's pants all over again".
>>
>>53621522
An owlbear spontaneously mutates into a bearowl
>>
File: BrainsProblems.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BrainsProblems.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>53621500
I think reading that almost gave me a seizure.
>>
>>53621522
Otherworldly parasites with flailing tentacles that take over the bodies of four-legged animals, replacing most of their spinal column in the process.

Yes I am ripping off Resident Evil 4z
>>
File: 1495660381082.jpg (47KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
1495660381082.jpg
47KB, 480x515px
>>53621462
>>53621500
Glorious.
>>
>>53621500
Going to argue this next time I'm playing my shadow monk and want to teleport during the day
>>
File: dafuk.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
dafuk.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>53621500
>>
File: LULLLLZZZZ.gif (3MB, 355x201px) Image search: [Google]
LULLLLZZZZ.gif
3MB, 355x201px
>>53621631
>>
My players thought the twist of the campaign was that they were resurrected ancient heros, then they thought the twist was that the enemy did it so they'd wreck shit, then they thought the twist was the bad guy was half the parties mother. Do you think they'll be mad when they find out the twist is that there is a richly inhabited intergalactic community and their mother elf has taken control of the last base and last remaining star cruiser on the planet using it to try to take it over with cloning and her powerful magic?
>>
File: 5ca.jpg (260KB, 570x558px) Image search: [Google]
5ca.jpg
260KB, 570x558px
>>53621500
>>
>>53621500
Know what? I'll you and your dubs have this one for now. I can't even begin with this.
>>
>>53621565
Or other some such weird fusions, like a dire wolf with a Beholder eye for a tail, that fires a Slowing Beam to make it easier for the dire wolf to om nom the prey.

>>53621585
You could also do something like, "if a creature is dealt slashing damage, it bisects in half like a gelatenous ooze, making a new creature with half the HP of the base one."
>>
File: smug animango face 189.gif (952KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 189.gif
952KB, 500x425px
>>53621500
>>
File: the fuck did I just read.gif (2MB, 337x289px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck did I just read.gif
2MB, 337x289px
>>53621500
>>
>>53621734
>>53621748
>>53621662
>>53621635
>>53621570
>no counterargument
>posts "hilarious" images for the sake of ridicule
Like clockwork.
>>
File: computrons.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
computrons.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>53621827
How do you even counter-argument that kind of autism? Someone who's that far gone isn't even operating on a comprehensible level.
>>
>>53621500
As you can also see with this, there is also the fact that the sun's existence is not an inherit factor within the rule system of 5th edition according to this current RAW. You see in 5th edition we have no mechanical references to the sun itself existing. The closest this comes to is sunlight, and sunrise. As mentioned beforehand, the sun it self does not actually produce any light or sunlight. Because of this, we know that the attribute of "sunlight" has in actuality no bearings on whether or not the sun is a mechanical entity or not, so it is safe to state that the existence of sunlight in 5th edition has no relevance to whether or not the sun exists in the first place. The usage of the "sun" in the word "sunlight" could also easily be in reference to another entity or term involving the sun. It could be a noun that acts as a reference to one of the developers, maybe he was Korean? It is not possible to be sure that the "sun" used is in reference to the sun, and so this does not lend to proof of the sun's existence. The second point is the factor of sunrise. This comes mostly into play with magic items. However, as there are many planes of existence that do not have a sun, and magical items will still regain charges, it is obvious that the term "sunrise" does not refer to any supposed entity called "the sun", but in fact is a point in time, similar to noon or midnight, and has no bearing on this supposed body. The final point comes down to gods. In some settings, it is known that certain gods have an explicit domain involving a sun. An example would be Greyhawk with Pelor. Because of this, sadly Greyhawk does have a sun, due to there being a god of the sun. This is not true for all settings. For example, the sun does not exist in both Dragonlance and Eberron. However, as mentioned before, it is not certain if this so called "sun" is holds the same significance and meaning as what we refer to as the sun in the real world, so the sun is not real in 5E.
>>
>>53621631
Actually I'm afraid this isn't possible.

"Even gloomy days provide bright light," PHB 183.

It's just as our friend has so clearly pointed out, said light cannot come from the sun.
>>
>>53621827
I don't think it's to ridicule. It's more that this argument is so beautiful that they're expressing their joy.

It's a freakin' masterpiece.
>>
>>53621827
Rules lawyer bullshit would just get house ruled by the DM.

something like
>The sun in this setting is real and does provide sunlight.

Case closed.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (115KB, 879x617px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
115KB, 879x617px
>>53621500
>>
>>53621923
But where's the fun in that?
>>
I want to run a Tomb of Horrors one shot for 4-5 players. Any tips on how to prepare the players? How many backups should I tell them to roll up? I was thinking level 15 characters with some magic items. Level 15 potentially gives them access to 6th, 7th and 8th level spells which will give them options without trivializing the tomb.

Post your ToH experiences.
>>
>>53621669
Twist should be they are resurrected ancient villians.
>>
If the Sun doesn't produce sunlight to begin with, why would they bother specifying that the Barovian Sun doesn't produce sunlight?
>>
>>53621949
Restating the rules for idiots that can't read.
>>
>>53621827
Here's your counterargument: the PHB isn't a dictionary. It assumes a knowledge of the English language and uses many commonly spoken words without defining them. One of those words is "sunlight", which even a relatively poor English speaker understands as meaning "light from a sun".
>>
>>53621884
I must thank you my friend in pointing this out, this is a genius revelation.

As stated, there is bright light that is produced during gloomy days. As we know that the sun does not produce light nor sunlight, this natural light does not have any source and simply exists. However as it states that bright light is produced on gloomy days, it is not stated at any point of any light that is produced on days that are not gloomy. Therefor, natural light does exist, however it does not come from any sun, as suns do not exist, and anything referred to as a "sun" cannot be taken with certainty to be "the sun", the only certainty is that natural light only exists when it is a gloomy day. If it is not a gloomy day, then there is not natural light that will be produced, and certainly not by any supposed "sun" of any sorts.
>>
>>53621990
^^^^
>>
File: smug animango face 99.png (80KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 99.png
80KB, 184x184px
>>53621990
>spells like Sunbeam and Sunburst require them to be explicitly spelled out that they are sunlight
>sun doesn't have that
>>
>>53622000
Trips speak the truth. Light only exists on gloomy days
>>
>>53621949
Oooh good point.

This, I think, is a perfect example of "the exception that proves the rule."

In the technical sense. As in "if the Barovian sun's light is called out as not counting as sunlight, this would mean that other suns' light is sunlight."
>>
>>53621990
What a load of horseshit.
Are you seriously telling me that I'm supposed to assume that sunlight comes from the sun?
Should I assume that gunpowder comes from guns?
What else should be assumed I'm supposed to be arbitrating instead of just using the fucking rules?

If that's your homebrew that's fine but you can't expect everyone to make the same retarded assumptions as you.
>>
One PC lost his arm in a recent fight, and two Artificers want to help make him a mechanical prosthetic. I was thinking having it cost 1000gp and two weeks work time between the two of them. Thoughts?
>>
>>53622000
Obviously this means that the sun is always there.

It's just that at night, it's too dark to see it.
>>
>>53622017
You might as well say that there are no venomous animals in D&D because they all inflict poison.
>>
>>53622068
If the prosthetic has no advantages and drawbacks, I would rule it to be equivalent to crafting a Regeneration spell scroll.
>>
>>53621949
Well you see, the Barovian Sun is a single entity. While Barovian is used as a term to describe something of Barovia, it is still possible that "Barovian Sun" is not a sun but something else entirely. Maybe it is the name of a man who never had loving parents, as "Barovian Sun" is truly a poor name for a child. If this does show that the sun does exist however, there is no evidence to show that it exists outside of Barovia. This "Barovian Sun" does not produce sunlight when Strahd is in power, however it does if defeated. This is likely a grammatical mistake, where they were attempting to infer that this is the Barovian Sun when under Strahd's control. However we cannot prove that this sun is the same as the sun that exists in our world. Since Barovia is also a mysterious realm, and the Dark Powers function under strange rules, Barovia itself is in all truthfulness just a mirage of mist, an illusion. It is entirely possible that this entity that gives off life is a mirage of the mind and magic made by the Dark Powers that rule the realms of Barovia, or that it is a figure such as a large firefly or powerful wizard casting a light producing spell and quickly changes to a sunlight producing spell when Strahd is killed. As it is only temporary, and we know that the sun does not produce sunlight, then it is certain that this "Barovian Sun" is not a sun in the same sense of the real world, but either the name of a figure, or an illusion made by the Dark Powers and the Mists.
>>
>>53622111
Nah, venomous stings are mentioned in the description of poison damage.
>>
Someone with a twitter account ask Crawford if the sun produces sunlight.
>>
>>53622156
Crawford doesn't give out Sage Advice on things that don't exist in D&D.
>>
>>53621500

Well actually

The spell Sunburst, and the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind also produce Sunlight, as does, unless memory fails me the Light Cleric's Holy Nimbus ability

The spell Daylight however, does not produce sunlight
>>
>>53621949
They never say that the sun doesn't emit sunlight.

What they say is that the daylight, while being bright light, isn't sunlight.

Now, see here we have three terms. "Daylight" in most worlds is composed of two aspects: bright light and sunlight. The Barovian form of daylight doesn't have the latter.

But even on those worlds which do have a sun, we can't assume sunlight comes from it.
By it's very nature, if we assume that sunlight comes from the sun, how could the Barovian example make sense?

No, sunlight and bright light are a wholly different phenomena from the sun, obviously.
>>
>>53621949
Obviously the sun only exists in Barovia.
>>
>>53622181

Found it!

Light Domain: Corona of Light
Starting at 17th level, you can use your action to activate an aura of sunlight that lasts for 1 minute
>>
This is looking to be a good thread
>>
>>53622304
The "aura of sunlight" is just flavor text. When it goes into the mechanical description of the light produced it does not state that "this light is sunlight", so this does not actually produce any sunlight.

The same goes for the sunburst spell, and the Holy Nimbus Devotion Paladin feature.
>>
>>53622308
How can you look if there's no light to do it by?
>>
So we get UA on the 5th right?
>>
>>53622304
Radiance of the Dawn and Holy Nimbus are also vaguely specified Sunlight
>>
>>53622017
You're not going to convince anyone that the sun's light isn't sunlight because the system doesn't specify sunlight being sunlight
>>
>>53621827
If someone showed up and argued that their character walk through walls because the book has no rule saying "you cannot walk through walls," most people wouldn't really see a need to actually argue otherwise.

This is similar. The don't care about a counterargument because it's self-evident that it's a nonsensical and indefensible position.
>>
File: 1485119873902.png (173KB, 349x446px) Image search: [Google]
1485119873902.png
173KB, 349x446px
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with having an ability score below 10. I think I should play regular human only.
>>
File: aaaaa.png (39KB, 337x144px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
39KB, 337x144px
>>53622583
>waaaaah i hate having flaws!!! why can't i be a perfect character who's good at everything!!
>>
>>53622583
embrace your low stats
That shit is a gift, and a more significant character aspect than your main stat
>>
>>53622597
>flaws have to be being physically/mentally inferior
>>
>>53622583
>tfw 6 dex and 7 con
i actually love it, being average to mediocre at everything is stupid, being super fucking good at something and horrible at something else feels much better.
>>
File: mace morningstar.jpg (8KB, 300x276px) Image search: [Google]
mace morningstar.jpg
8KB, 300x276px
I feel like the Morningstar doesn't get enough love. A simple, dependable 1d8 piercing. Good, sturdy, satisfying.
>>
>>53622583
>>53622597
Playing a regulat human with nothing below 10 is probably one of the biggest flaws possible in the game.

He'll be worse then everyone else.
>>
>>53622597
No that's not it. It's like I make a rogue, I put my 14 or 15 into Dex, naturally.
Gotta have a 14 in my Con of course, and my rogue isn't an idiot, so he's got some points in Wis and Int.
Now my Str and Cha are both 8 and and I'm like "this doesn't feel right my dude should be able to do a 10 ft long jump and not have boogers running down his face"
>>
>>53622612
>in addition to demanding i be able to outshine my party in every conceivable skill check, i will adamantly go out of my way to inconvenience my party and make the game all about Me as i attempt to shoehorn my roleplayed "flaws" into the adventure
>>
>>53622651
11, 15, 13, 12, 12, 10. Bump up DEX and CON with V.Human and take any feat you want.

Nigga, it's not hard to play an all rounder without going normal Human. It's just fucking stupid because you'll likely only be good at one thing.
>>
>>53622632
I'm playing a Cleric using one right now actually.
>>
>>53622691
Guess I'm just overthinking it. In my experience it's never like the party understands that everyone's good at their own things.
And usually the people with characters that should be good at something totally suck at it from the player side of things.
>>
How do I not be annoying as fuck while still actually playing a Gnome?
>>
>>53622767
Step 1. Don't do a gnome voice.
>>
File: 1483222477365.png (34KB, 800x563px) Image search: [Google]
1483222477365.png
34KB, 800x563px
why are gnomes annoying? Are they the dragonlance my real ame goes on for weeks type?
>>
File: 0aa[1].png (1MB, 680x963px) Image search: [Google]
0aa[1].png
1MB, 680x963px
>>53622000
>bioluminescent fog
>>
Guys I want to play an evil character. Really evil.
I don't need to meet a murder quota but I still want to be basically as reprehensible as possible

How do I do this without distracting my party from their goals or giving them an obvious reason to kick me out?
>>
>>53622651
>>53622691
If you go standard human you can have 10, 16, 16, 9, 14, 12.
Honestly, I feel like 16 in Con is a bit overboard. I'd probably put it in Wisdom or Charisma.
>>
>>53622112
Seconded.
>>
>>53622795
In the PHB they do have the retarded name thing yeah.

The issue is they're normally just combining Dwarves and Halflings into one race when it's not needed. Also I don't think they've ever had good fluff, if they did it was probably in 2e somewhere.

>>53622814
Impossible unless you do an evil game. When it comes down to it, no one outside of dumb movies keeps around an obvious evil fucker when they kill 100's of evil fuckers every day. Why should they keep you around?

If you make it a "They need me for X" then it's even worse. Now they're having your character shoved down their throats and they can't even kick the character no matter what you do.
>>
>>53622854
Well then I'll just have to be evil in a non-obvious way. Like a sociopath.

On the other hand people do keep around obviously evil people sometimes, like politicians. Usually people in power.
>>
>>53622583
pointbuy you can't even go below an 8, which with +2 racial would mean 10.
And no basic race has negatives to stats...
Why do you have to run human in order to avoid negative modifiers?
>>
>>53622632
so, a rapier without the option to finesse?
>>
>>53622598
>>53622624
>>53622612
>>53622642

One of my players, and a really good friend, loves rolling for stats every time. He got a great stat block before modifiers, but with one incredibly low stat: a 4.

He shoved that shit in charisma, which is not something I'd agree with normally. But he had a lot of experience in improv, and worked with it very well. He was uncouth, honest-to-a-fault, and aggressive by default. He was incredibly jarring in every social encounter, of which he participated in a lot. He made me uncomfortable because of how often I had to think on my toes, and he really gave himself a challenge.

He definitely played to his stupidly low stat, since his responses were just so unexpected, brutish, and often inappropriate. Funnily enough, he was leading an investigation independent of the rest of the party.

There was, oddly enough, not a single point where I'd say he inconvenienced or set back the party. In fact, his straightforward attitude helped to unify and get the party motivated towards a singular purpose whenever they were off track.
>>
>>53619211
You need to understand that
>The changes that DM made
Do not incentivize
>The kind of play that DM wants

And it's more than just Gritty Realism resting rates. It's retarded shit like -1 AC from shields and opportunity attacks for standing up from prone. That doesn't make Strength better. That makes being in melee worse. Hence, their melee noping the fuck out.

>>53619951
I see you have Heighten Spell and not a single spell that's worth heightening. Might want to fix that. Banish is awesome. Hypnotic Pattern/Fear is an option. Even Hold Person or Hold Monster. Levitate is a good option. You really should have one spell that uses your metamagic.
>>
>>53622112
>>53622836
That would turn it into a 50'000 gold and 1000 day ordeal for two characters as per DMG rules, . Which is... not much fun, I would say.
I'd allow them to make a shitty hand that would have a disadvantage on dex-based checks for 5k and 100 days per RAW. I myself homerule a 100 gp crafting limit per day instead of 25 gp, except for potions.
>>
>>53622945
Use the UA rules you foggot
>>
>>53622885
>>53622814
Please for the sake of everyone, don't do this. Trust me when I say there's thousands of people like you on Roll20 and they're literally the thing that makes playing with people online bad. No one wants to sit there while you type about how edgy you can be like somekind of Sonic Fanfiction.

Play a morally ambiguous character sure, but don't describe your character as Evil or you need to go straight back to the drawing board.

>>53623002
The UA downtime rules were actually one of the best ones they made. I actually use it every game and it makes spending gold have a reason.
>>
File: wrastle.gif (1MB, 400x643px) Image search: [Google]
wrastle.gif
1MB, 400x643px
I wanna be a Grappler, /5eg/.

I'd especially love to be a Dragonborn Grappler that holds people down and vomits acid all over them, but I'd settle for any sort of decent grappler.

How do?
>>
What's the best class for a Goblin? Ranger seemed like a good choice with the bonus action hide, Rogues already get it... Fighter might be okay. So could Monk.
>>
>>53623029
I just want to be like Griffith okay. A character that did literally everything wrong.

Also I don't play with strangers like some degenerate neckbeard, so I don't think the other players will have much issue telling me if my character is insufferable.
>>
>>53621500
Reminder that the in Forgotten Realms the sun is just a portal to the Plane of Fire, and that means both Amaunator and Lathander are subservient to Kossuth. but amaunator has a great buddy-buddy relationship with him and they both tease lathander all day (HEH) because he's a fucking twat
>>
>>53623002
Looked up, the rules seem cool. However my beef is not with the rules as such, just with the time requirements. 500 days for a very rare item is a bit too much for my liking and and the tone of my homebrew world. 120 days for a 7th-level scroll is fine though.
>>
>>53622597
>i'm an amazing hero superior to all these fucking peasants
>but i'm still below average in some way
>>
>>53623116
Very rare items are to quote themselves, very rare. Rare meaning it doesn't occur very often.

I'd say nearly once every 2 years is very rare.
>>
>>53622909

Basically. That's why it's so overlooked, I imagine.

The morningstar would probably benefit from splitting its damage between bludgeoning/piercing, but that'd just make things complicated.
>>
>>53623055
You want
>advantage on str checks
>expertise in athletics
>extra attack for grapple+shove prone
So Valor Bard with Enlarge Person and Barbarian with at least 1 Rogue level are the top contenders.
Valor Bard gets extra points for being able to eventually make your own ring with Forcecage, Barbarogue gets some because of extra tankiness.
>>
>>53622767
Civilized goblins that otaku.

Meaning depending on just how much you belong on this site with the rest of us, the answer might be the simplest one: just be yourself. Might need to swap the hobby for a more period appropriate counterpart.
>>
File: relaxing luchadors.jpg (48KB, 758x426px) Image search: [Google]
relaxing luchadors.jpg
48KB, 758x426px
>>53623055
Everyone's going to tell you to take some combiantion of Barbarian (for advantage on all your Athletics checks while Raging) or Bard/Rogue (for Expertise).

This is horseshit. All you need is decent Strength, proficiency in Athletics, a free hand (or the willingness to drop your weapon if sword-and-boarding), and the ability to say "I make a grapple attempt on the guy". Most creatures don't have Athletics, and unless you're fighting something way bigger than you that wouldn't make much sense to grapply anyway, they're unlikely to have more Strength. You'll succeed more often than not, so don't worry about a fucking meme build or thinking you need to be X class to pull anything off.

But if you are looking for classes or other things that help grappling, there are the above ones (Barb, Bard, Rogue),
Druid (for beast form shenanigans and dragging enemies through Spike Growth),
Fighter (because martial maneuvers will let you do damage while punching and apply knockdown in the same round),
Monk (so you can do decent damage all the time while grappling),
Tavern Brawler (so you can stab->stab->grapple in the same turn and have improved damage; synergizes well with Battlemaster for knockdown),
or Shield Master (a more defensive means of inflicting the same grappled+prone combo as Tavern Brawler).
>>
>>53623124
The average Joe IS below average in some way.
>>
>>53622945
I mean, if it functions exactly the same as a real arm, it should cost real arm prices in time and money. Since restoration is nearly instant and this would require a good amount of craft time, probably cheaper on money to balance that.

If it has disadvantages, then cheaper still, in either time or money.

If it has IMPROVEMENTS over his old arm, that is, is a straight upgrade, an objectively better arm, then it should cost MORE in time and money that restoration.
>>
>>53623255
>the average Joe is below average
You're thinking of below average Joes.
>>
>>53623055
how about the feat labeled Grappler that lets you pin people, eh? seem like a likely candidate?
>>
>>53623310
Grappler is a trap. Don't bother. Forget it exists.
>>
>>53623073
monk is already using its bonus action for a lot. You want a class that never uses it, for maximum overuse potential.
>>
>>53623219
Heh, I actually like this.

I was thinking either Mystic, Artificer or Rogue. I guess I could do a Mystic who's literally autistic, that would be easy to roleplay for me.

>>53623055
The easiest way to be a good grappler is just play a Valor Bard. Dragonborn make good Valor Bards anyway.

>>53623310
Aside from the fact it's pretty shit. Pinning is worse then just knocking them prone.
>>
>>53623307
Amusing, but no.
>>
>>53623214

>Valor Bard

I never realized how well this actually fits with modern wrestlers who are basically actors.

>>53623242

Is there any new UA shit that would help with a Grappler? I see one of the Skill Feats gives Strength, expertise in Athletics and increased carry weight for dragging people around seems good.

>>53623310

I don't know much, but I know that Grappler is a shitty trap when you can just Grapple and Shove Prone without spending a feat.
>>
>>53623344
The average of all Joes is the average Joe, ergo he is completely average. Not above here and below there, but the perfect mean of all Joes if their statistics were quantified. You must be thinking of ordinary Joes, which are not average Joes.
>>
File: aboleth.png (195KB, 627x304px) Image search: [Google]
aboleth.png
195KB, 627x304px
I-i-is that an aboleth??
>>
>>53623360
The only thing that helps with grappling is having a DM who isn't a fucking cock. If your DM doesn't like the idea of dragging around minotaurs or throwing bandits 30 feet into a fireplace (BECAUSE HE'S A STEALTH CASTERFAG AND ONLY WIZARDS CAN DO COOL SHIT AND BE USEFUL AT THE SAME TIME), he's not going to care what your Strength score is or what your various features say about carrying capacity and will just scream "no" or "1d4 damage, no proficiency, give me a check".
>>
>>53623307
have you worked retail? 75% of everybody is below average, I'mma tell you that right now.

It's the top end pulling the mean up, being really exceptional. Asymptotic, just like wealth distribution. I've been told it's a repeating pattern. Probably the reason for Sturgeon's Law.
>>
>>53623403
It's an otyugh with eyes.
>>
>>53623419
>75% of everybody is below average
I think you're proof of that because holy shit anon what part of "the average joe is average" haven't you been getting jeez
>>
>>53623443
He's saying that the people that are really awesome bring the average up, making the average person below average.

Really when we say average joe, we should be saying median joe.
>>
>>53623372
I can get behind ordinary Joes, sure.

>>53623419
Well if 75% of people are X then the average is certainly not Y.
>>
File: realaboleth.png (331KB, 662x403px) Image search: [Google]
realaboleth.png
331KB, 662x403px
>>53623429
I think it's an aboleth with the eyes put sideways so that WotC can't sue.
>>
File: 1496109087070.jpg (79KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496109087070.jpg
79KB, 720x400px
>Start playing a martial
>Do nothing but attack, attack, attack
>The GM doesn't try and make it interesting
End my life
>>
>>53623496
>Well if 75% of people are X then the average is certainly not Y.
This makes no sense but you get what I mean.
>>
>>53623512
You could always shove, grapple, etc.
>>
>>53623512
Why don't YOU make it interesting? Or are you one of those players that makes the DM do everything?
>>
File: IMG_9633.jpg (46KB, 743x954px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9633.jpg
46KB, 743x954px
>>53623512
>Love playing fighters
>Encounters are always in featureless, square arenas
Played for almost a year now and the only time I even pushed an enemy off a ledge was last week when another player had to emergency DM.
>>
>>53623512
>players are mostly martial
>fluff, interesting interactables, vivid descriptions of finishing blows and themes for critting
I'm sorry anon, but you gotta bring it up with your DM.
>>
>>53623530
I've tried grappling and it turned out bad every time, probably because of my unfortunate rolls

>>53623522
I've tried a bit of shenanigans but the GM doesn't seem to want to accommodate

>>53623540
Is it too much to ask for some environmental gimmicks?
>>
>>53623462
10, 20, 30, 40, 50
Add 'em all up for 150, divide by 5, get the mean (what people mean colloquially by "average") of 30

Let's read >>53623255 and replace "Joe" with "number" and considre our set to be just those five numbers.
>the average number IS below average in some way
Does that make sense? No.
>>
File: josef.jpg (128KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
josef.jpg
128KB, 657x527px
>>53623575
>Is it too much to ask for some environmental gimmicks?
I know right, like some spikes on walls, a brazier or a wooden support beam to kick now and then.
It's like no one has played Dark Messiah.
>>
How the fuck do I into dungeon building? All I can think of is "series of rooms with traps and monsters", but that doesn't make sense from a narrative stand point.
>>
File: Watch me swooce right in.webm (2MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Watch me swooce right in.webm
2MB, 768x432px
>>53623619

I don't think a DM could handle this happening to their BBEG
>>
>>53623582
Look, random human is all 10s because its easy for the DM to asspull a guy because there are no modifiers. That doesn't mean every fucking person in D&D land is all 10s. It means the average of all Human stats is 10.
>>
>>53623628
>ancient city ruins that an earthquake drove underground
>tunnels dug by monsters
>it's a spaceship!

There you are.
>>
Any roleplaying tips?

My friend is starting a new campaign (5e), and I've played a couple of sessions in the past (none of the campaigns lasted more than 1 or 2 sessions), so I'm pretty comfortable with mechanics.

Also, I haven't played any 5e yet, is Warlock or Paladin fun? In the past I only played Barbarians and Monks.
>>
>>53623668
Now you're getting it. And when we talk about the average human, we mean a mathematical idea of a guy with 10/10/10/10/10/10, not any particular real guy with those stats.
>>
>>53623660
For that matter why is there no succubus inside my head.
And I want to go bowling with my cool Satan dad. I won't ask for anything else DMs.
>>
File: hildebrand_ffxiv.png (215KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
hildebrand_ffxiv.png
215KB, 500x281px
>>53622924
>>
>>53623660
>BBEG
Ugh
>>
>>53623628
Ask yourself these basic questions:
>who built it
>why did they build it
>when did they build it
>how prominent was this structure meant to be
>how many things/people/objects was this meant to hold
>who lives here now
>why would they live here now

Tada; you now have a dungeon that is complete with aqueduct bathrooms and hidden rooms behind riddles meant for the most faithful.
>>
>>53623691
As far as roleplaying goes, there's no easy way to learn it. If you're with a group of friends, try and get at least one other person to be always in-character so that you can have someone to bounce off of.

If getting into character itself is hard for you, take your time to answer things or come up with what you're going to say. Even if you're not comfortable "FPSing" it, try it out.

Third person is always easier, but can be a bit tricky at times. If you can't first person your RP, just say "My character says this and that".

Stepping stones are better than standing still, ya know?
>>
Grapple Guy here.

What exactly are the mechanics of improvised weapons? Specifically, if I'm grappling a nigga, and wanna hit another nigga with this nigga, what would happen?

Assuming a DM that doesn't hate fun.
>>
>>53623698
You're a God damn autist.
>>
>>53623715
Might be the only reason I bother with Stormblood right here.
>>
>>53623687
>>53623721
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. What really fucking stops me dead on my tracks is the last part: who lives here now and why.

I'm building a dungeon to house a literal key, that was stolen by ________ (haven't decided yet what or who stole it). I want it to be challenging to a party of lvl7 PCs but some of the CR7 monsters don't really make sense to use in a dungeon setting.

And my players have a tendency to... die, a lot, if there are more than 2 monsters at a time. So if I went all Tucker's Kobolds on them, they'd probably TPK in the first room.
>>
>>53623745
This is homebrew, but the weapon-nigga has to be a size smaller than you. Officially, there are no rules for that.
>>
>>53623745
1d4+ ur strength mod bud
>>
>>53623745
>What exactly are the mechanics of improvised weapons?
By default they're 1d4 damage of whatever damage type is most appropriate. If the DM rules that an improvised weapon resembles a weapon that you're proficient with (eg: using a table leg as a club) then you get to add your proficiency mod to the attack.
>>
>>53623731
Okay, thank you for the advice.
Are the UA classes and subclasses broken or anything?
Looking at them now, Artificer seems pretty neat.
>>
Does anyone have that one pdf filled with water based spells? I'm playing in a water genasi in a campaign soon and DM said go nuts.
>>
>>53623782
>And my players have a tendency to... die, a lot, if there are more than 2 monsters at a time. So if I went all Tucker's Kobolds on them, they'd probably TPK in the first room.
Dungeons ARE deadly. If you are caught in a corridor with your front and back covered by enemies, you are either dead or OP.
>>
>>53623745
>my DM hates fun
1d4+Str
>my DM isn't a shitlord
Strength roll with proficiency, 1d10 bludgeoning per creature size (starting at Small).

The secret technique to doing fun stuff with grappling and combat in general is never doing the same thing twice in a row, or even within a combat if you can help it. Mix things up. It's okay to knock two guys off a cliff sequentially in one turn, but if you walk up to a third guy on your next turn and do the same thing, you're a shitter who's taking advantage of the DM's kindness. Don't push your luck and the DM won't have to rein you in by enforcing NO FUN.

>>53623771
>he doesn't want a sweet new UI
>>
>>53623802
Some are, either ridiculously good or bad. Most are pretty okay, balance-wise. Keep in mind that UA is not made with multiclass in mind, so you could potentially find some broken ass combo.

As far as Paladin/Warlock, they are both fun. They work well together, too, if you're into multiclassing. Paladins are no longer Lawful Stupid and Warlocks are just cool per design. Their flavor is outstanding and offer easy story hooks for any DM.
>>
>>53623812
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1488/84/1488843904513.pdf
>>
>>53623849
I think I'll do Warlock because they do seem cool and I'd like to play a spellcaster for once.
>>
>>53623834
I dunno how sweet it is, I've been taking a break and a friend of mine keeps bitching about a class he ditched because they made it too hard for him.
>>
>>53623861
Thanks dude!
>>
>>53623628
>narrative stand point
There's your problem. A dedicated dungeon crawling game should emphasize player agency. The story is what happens in the game, and the setting accommodates the game, not the other way round.

5e kind of blows for dungeon crawling though. Dungeon crawling benefits from lightweight rules that don't get in the way of player intent and strict resource management, two things that 5e doesn't do well.
>>
File: 1493959686334.jpg (110KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
1493959686334.jpg
110KB, 600x378px
>>53623892
Water shit is rad, my dog.
>>
>>53623881
I'm gonna guess Black Mage because it's the only class that got significantly more complex in Heavensward thanks to the Enochian timer and "ha ha stand in ley lines oh wait there's telegraphs coming, get fucked", but both of those are being addressed in Stormblood.
>>
>>53623574
Pls be my DM anon
>>
>>53623812
>what is a mystic
>what is mastery of water
>>
>>53623877
Warlocks are kind of half casters? You're mostly doing damage with Eldritch Blast + Hex and bringing in utility with your Pact/Boons.

>>53623905
I mean, they are going into this dungeon in order to get the aforementioned key (tl;dr the key opens a literal door to the underworld) and keep it safe. The key was being transported alongside a shipment of mithril and it just got stolen with it, more collateral damage than anything else.

I dunno. I like my dungeons to have shit that ties into everything else, but I'm retarded and lack imagination to get it going. I'll work on it and then ask for minor adjustments later.
>>
>>53621363
Praise Zarus!
>>
>>53622814
You could play Hisoka.
>>
File: alignments.png (694KB, 673x871px) Image search: [Google]
alignments.png
694KB, 673x871px
>>53622814
A lawful evil character feats your description.
>>
>>53623660
>The final swoop in hero move involves a kick.

I love that game.
>>
Can you cause your familiar to reappear on the other side of locked doors and the like? If you're in a barred prison it should be no problem, but I mean like, do you need line of sight/effect to where your familiar reappears?
>>
File: 1495490156760.jpg (181KB, 520x763px) Image search: [Google]
1495490156760.jpg
181KB, 520x763px
>first real session finally kicks off
>it not only starts off great but it ends with a fight against a boss on an out of control airship airship
>everyone fails their saves and gets knocked prone as they try to stay on
>kill the boss just as the airship crash lands
>everyone fails their save again and get launched off the ship
>didn't plan for a failure of that magnitude so called it there, giving me time to determine loot since they got the kill in time
>main escort was left behind on the enemy ship so I've accidentally given myself another story hook
Aside from having to keep track of another player's junk I'd say that went pretty well. But now they've crashed into the wilderness and it just dawned on me that it's going to be hard to make wild beasts interesting for a lv3 party. What kind of loops should I throw at these guys?

>>53623915
You'd be right, and he makes it seem so much worse than it is. I kind of lost the drive to punch things thanks to yet another relic grind but I might say fuck it and hope being slightly below recommended specs is still smooth.

>>53623917
I wish I could.
>>
Does anyone know of any homebrew rules for airships?
>>
>>53624133
>out of control airship airship
>DOUBLE AIRSHIP
DM's an absolute madman
>>
What's the best way to make a Fighter/Rogue?

>inb4 Barbarogue
>>
>>53624211
barbrogue is the correct answer

if you dont want that you could just do pure fighter and use your extra feats to pick up skills and expertises, maybe pick a subclass like monster hunter that gets extra skills
>>
>>53624211
Fighter Battlemaster 6, Rogue the rest.
Extra Attack, bonus feat, Action Surge, martial weapons, armor, and shield if you want 'em, Dueling for bonus damage, and Riposte for double Sneak Attacks.
>>
>>53624285
Isn't extra attack pretty worthless since you can't sneak attack with that 2nd one? Why just get battlemaster and be done with fighter?
>>
>>53624303
You can get a 2nd sneak attack with the inquisitive rogue. Then again, the extra wisdom dependency makes that build a bit too MAD.
>>
>>53624211
Knight actually offers a fair bit for Rogue. Getting the 3 reaction attacks per short rest with advantage means 3 times you can Sneak Attack for sure. In fact, you can combo Action Surge and your Mark attack to land 3 Sneak Attacks in a round on one target. Plus you can hit and run while giving them disadvantage on all their attacks.

Rogue archers can obviously use the Fighting Style for that very well. Probably take only 2 Fighter levels there.

Battlemaster/Swashbuckler is another good option.
>>
>>53623139
Being level 13 and higher in my opinion is enough of a restriction to make these items rare in the world. In any given region there wouldn't be more than a handful of people with that kind of power at the same time. Adventurers' life is mostly short enough and dangerous enough to let them leave a powerful item or two as a memento of themselves in the world.

I also employ a 'No rest for the mighty' rule/curse/superstition in my games: if any character, PC or NPC, at some point took up adventuring as a main job and survived long enough to be successful - it will haunt him till he kicks the bucket. There's no retirement and no high tower you can seclude yourself in - there's always more trouble in the world, and if you stop looking for it, it will start looking for you. As a result, no overabundance of powerful magical items made by current or recent generations.
>>
>>53624211
3 levels of rogue (go into assassin), then the rest fighter
>>
>>53624303
What if you miss your first attack? What if you miss your bonus attack? What if you don't want to dual wield, or use your bonus action for something else (like an object interaction if Thief)? Why would you ever say "no" to another ~1d8+6 damage and potential maneuver comboing, or a grapple/shove attempt? What happens if you don't have the flank or the archetype to solo Sneak Attack?

Extra Attack is always useful. You're not stopping at Fighter 3 because an ASI is right around the corner, and you're not stopping at Fighter 4 because Extra Attack is right around the corner, and you're not stopping at Fighter 5 because ANOTHER ASI is right around the corner.
But you are stopping at Fighter 6 because you're not made of fucking levels and you need to your Rogue on (or continue your Rogue) eventually if you want Sneaks to be worth a dick and your archetype features. Fighter 7 gives you another manever and superiority die, sure, but Menacing, Riposite, and Trip/Disarm/Push should satisfy anyone and you can always go back to that at level 11 if your game gets that far once you're Fighter6/Rogue4 if you think that's more useful than Uncanny Dodge and eventually Expertise.
>>
>>53623540
Things I've done with my martials (a Fighter and a Monk) in the last two campaigns:
>the classic "grab two unalarmed enemies and KO them by bonking their heads together"
>the equally classic "climb a wall, grab a guy by the shirt, and yoink him down behind you as you mantle the top"
>thrown multiple enemies into other enemies
>cleared every table in a barracks with washrags made out of two mages I grabbed
>stopped a spinning capstan with a bandit's face (eventually)
>goblins into giant ovens, cultists into fireplaces, braziers onto heads
>filling an invisible stalker with ground cinnamon to make it visible, then exploding it from the inside out with a torch
>dismounted a fleeing Orc warchief by propelling him off his worg thanks to based Pushing Attack
>taking a Rod of Lordly Might in ladder form, swinging it down over a line of cultists so that they're stuck between rungs, activating the Paralyze function, and shoving them over the cliff I climbed up the round before
>used a Javelin of Lightning as a melee weapon, stuck it into a crab man, and pulled the "turn into lightning" trigger
>climbed a tree and hid until a giant walked by, then leapt onto his shoulder and sliced open the net full of captured people with a sharpened shovel
>blinded a different giant by open palm slamming my ink pot into his eyeball after knocking him prone
>skewered two cultists on a single javelin by Pushing Attack-ing one into the other on a crit
>saved multiple party members from falling off a 200 ft high bridge with no railings and an airship by having the presence of mind to tie safety ropes to our cart / the hull and everyone else
>neutralized a dragon wyrmling by dropping from the ceiling onto him with an open Bag of Holding
>beat a wereboar to death with silverware
>brought a hammer to a skeleton fight while everyone else fucked around with swords
>>
>>53623360
>Is there any new UA shit that would help with a Grappler?

Mystics have two disciplines (Brute Force and Mastery of Force) that can grant advantage on your Strength (Athletics) checks as a passive, permanent benefit from level 1. Because leveling in Mystic can also get you an Enlarge, you might consider this instead of Bard, but you'll need Extra Attack from somewhere (the Mystic one is far too expensive for a dip, and the Enlarge wants more Mystic levels as well).

Maybe take a level of Rogue, take a level of Mysic (expertise and advantage), five levels in whatever your preferred source of Extra Attack is (online by level 7), if your source is Fighter then one more level for a second ASI (two by 8, hey!) and then just level Mystic so you can get at that enlarge and be prepped for the relative increase in frequency of Huge or bigger opponents.

>>53624103
I'm interested in this as well. CAN you teleport familiars through solid objects this way?
>>
File: chairs are the best weapon.jpg (198KB, 900x652px) Image search: [Google]
chairs are the best weapon.jpg
198KB, 900x652px
>>53624431
>>53623540
>instagibbed a remorhaz by activating this rock that enlarges into a boulder while hanging from the top of a giant throne as the creature rematerializes from Banishment
>stopped a zombie horde by piling furniture and kitchen goods (lard, reduced cooking wine) in an old monastery in the hallway and setting it all on fire
>foiled a cultist siege of our new keep (that we stole from them) by booby-trapping their "secret passage" with oil, caltrops, and bearings, and lighting it all when they got near the top
>flipped a huge dining table and shoved it along as advancing cover against a bunch of archers, then flipped it ON some of them when they drew melee weapons
>brought a hammer to a skeleton fight while everyone else fucked around with swords
>stood on the head / shoulders / back of multiple really big things and beat the shit out of them while they struggled to not brain themselves
>FLYING DRAGON KICK several times, occasionally against doors with people behind them
>airdropped onto a boat on the back of an axebeak wearing stone platemail and birdbodychecked two cultists into the ocean immediately
>swung a mounted ballista around and fired a bolt through a window (robe of many things) placed on a kraken's head
>got jacked up on Giant's Strength and engaged in a giant minecart-tossing battle with another giant, abusing Deflect Arrows to handily win trades
>teleported into an ancient wizard's secret lair, noted all the skeletons around, teleported back out, grabbed a table, teleported back in, now safe from the dart traps and fire jets that triggered immediately upon entering the next hall
>utilized extreme Dwarven masonry to knap a key out of a cobblestone because our Rogue was in another part of town
>skipped a whole ancient door opening puzzle and "now you're sealed inside!" trap by macgyvering a massive fulcrum out of rubble, swapping out gears for a better ratio, forcing the whole thing open, then smashing it all and wedging the door open
>>
>>53624431
I'm curious, what kind of roll did you make for the first one?
>>
File: walked right into that one.webm (758KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
walked right into that one.webm
758KB, 360x360px
>>53624463
Tavern Brawler. Unarmed attack to punch the first guy, bonus action grapple him, then used the second action attack to grapple the other guy. So one attack and two Athletics checks, all as normal.

I got to have my way with them with the CLONK because they weren't anticipating combat, instead standing with their ears to a door that I swung open immediately before my assault.
>>
Should I go Kensei or Sun soul monk? Thinking of going Aasimar (Scourge) for maximum sun praising if I go sun soul.
>>
>>53624569
Sun Soul Monk in armor and argue pedantically that your ki blast damage goes up "according to the table" and not "according to martial arts level increases which would be disabled by wearing armor".
>>
When is the right time to give a player Bracers of Defense
>>
>>53624674
when the time is right, you'll know.
>>
>>53624617
No I like the whole unarmored fighter theme they have.
>>
>>53624685
Not sure I understand.
>>
>>53623512

The easiest rule to follow for interesting combat encounters is this: for every environment in which there is a fight, put at least one object that, if struck, will have consequences.

>chandelier hanging from the ceiling, blast it to drop it on whoever's below it
>a priceless vase teeters dangerously in the crossfire—do you take the time to save it?
>the floor is coated in fungus that disperse toxic spores when exposed to sudden pressure
>there's magma veins in the walls that could break loose from a sudden impact

etc.
>>
File: zarmor.jpg (61KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
zarmor.jpg
61KB, 704x396px
>>53624732
There's more support for armored ki beamers than non-armored ones. You know what must be done.
>>
File: gnomelock.jpg (81KB, 528x720px) Image search: [Google]
gnomelock.jpg
81KB, 528x720px
>>53622693
>>53622632

I'd really love to be a Pact of the Fey warlock with a shining morningstar (shining, y'know, like a star) as their weapon, but the character I kind of have in mind is hard to square with the crunch the PH offers. I'd basically want a militant gnome that's sworn to the Archfey to protect fey interests and environments in the material plane, something of an warrior-ambassador. I had to draw a picture to get the general tone across, but I want them to be an armored warrior, not just a spellcaster.

Unfortunately, Warlocks only have proficiency in light armor and simple weapons; I couldn't get Medium armor even or martial weapons without a dip into Fighter, which isn't bad in and of itself but it just sucks that it's an obligation. Furthermore, it means that I couldn't get chainmail and a morningstar as starting equipment unless I was a Fighter first, which fuzzes the whole thing. And even then, there's not as good of a balance between melee/spellcasting as there is with, say, a Paladin or an Eldritch Knight fighter archetype. Because even after all that, Pact of the Blade seems like an obvious choice but I'd love the flavor of giving the guy a familiar with Pact of the Chain (but that's something I'd be willing to dump).

I'm sure an understanding DM would skirt some things to make it work but I hate deviating from RAW with character creation because I never want to come off as a special case. It's just frustrating when RAW don't align to allow a specific idea to come to fruition, especially one that I think is reasonable compared to people who bring in a middle schooler's locker full of a homebrew ideas.
>>
>>53624747
that's okay, when the time is right, you'll understand.
>>
Hey, guys. So I had a player briefly possessed by a necromancer-enslaved ghost during an adventure, and they developed an unexpected attachment to their possessor. After killing the necromancer they've just hit level 3 and the ghost is free, and I wanted to put something together for them.

This is a very early draft, but I present the Haunted, a roguish archetype. All feedback is welcome, I want to hammer this into usable shape over the next few days.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ
>>
5eg, I would like some input.

I am a first took over DMing for one of my buddies who got really busy at work awhile back. He was working in a rather convoluted homebrew world that wasn't fully fleshed out, and our party didn't want to roll new characters, so in my inexperience I did an ingame world shift that basically put them on a new timeline.

My main reasoning was to let him come back to his stuff untouched if he wanted to DM again, out of respect for what he had created, and probably a bit of selfish "I don't want to look like an asshole who doesn't know this world."

He's since returned and has rejoined as a PC and said if he DMed again, he probably would do something completely new.

My issue is that now I have a party that's doing normal stuff, but there is always an air of "this isn't even our timeline." If that makes sense. They aren't going full muderhobo, or anything, I think it's just lessening the gravity of situations.

Is it within my right, since the old DM said he wouldn't use his old world, to just approach the table and say "Hey, we are going to retcon this timeline stuff, I'm sorry to do it, I feel it was a mistake on my part, and I want to move forward in our campaign without this weirdness of us all trying to keep this timeline stuff straight."

Other than that odd atmosphere, everything else is going really well, I just really don't want to disappoint the players and make it seem like I'm the kind of guy to go around redacting important events all the time.
>>
>>53624915
If he's not going to return to DMing, introduce a plotline that destroys or sacrifices the old timeline. Throw in some scheme by an Old One they get to thwart, breeding some kind of contagious possibility or trying to create a cataclysm or rupture they can slither through.
>>
>>53624915
This is why you don't agree to DM for people's homebrew settings.
>>
>>53624803
>Unfortunately, Warlocks only have proficiency in light armor and simple weapons; I couldn't get Medium armor even or martial weapons without a dip into Fighter, which isn't bad in and of itself but it just sucks that it's an obligation. Furthermore, it means that I couldn't get chainmail and a morningstar as starting equipment unless I was a Fighter first, which fuzzes the whole thing. And even then, there's not as good of a balance between melee/spellcasting as there is with, say, a Paladin or an Eldritch Knight fighter archetype. Because even after all that, Pact of the Blade seems like an obvious choice but I'd love the flavor of giving the guy a familiar with Pact of the Chain (but that's something I'd be willing to dump).
>I'm sure an understanding DM would skirt some things to make it work but I hate deviating from RAW with character creation because I never want to come off as a special case. It's just frustrating when RAW don't align to allow a specific idea to come to fruition, especially one that I think is reasonable compared to people who bring in a middle schooler's locker full of a homebrew ideas.
You just described a oath of ancients pally.
>>
>>53624803
Why aren't you an Oath of the Ancients Paladin, exactly? They're an amazing class with one of the best auras and by MILES the most powerful capstone, if you can get over their fairly shitty Channel Divinity options.

Is there something unique to Warlocks you want to capture?
>>
>>53624950
He told me enough of his overall world ideas that I knew the culmination would be a classic demon invasion, and his character he created is a fiend pact warlock, I could do something there.

>>53624975
We all gotta learn somehow. When he was DM, we didn't have a character creation session, so when he came back as a PC he made a character integral to the story he believed he would be playing, which was my tipping point to shift everything.
He had all this world info nobody else had the opportunity to know about, and he made a PC that was supposed to be the hero, and outshine everyone else. I don't know if that is a "That guy" situation, but it felt like one.
>>
>>53625076
He's a good guy, just a bit of a tool sometimes.
>>
>>53624758
>tfw accidentally gave my necromancer Vegeta's personality
>tfw there are so few necromancy spells that whatever I don't have for utility I use for blasty combat
Now if only I were creative enough to fluff Mage Armor to be visible but not be a blatant insert of your pic.

Unrelated, I wonder what the new UA is going to be, it's around that time isn't it?
>>
So am I blind or did the Artificer they just released change nothing from the one they had a few months ago?
>>
Hey /5eg/, got a little spin on what's probably a common question. How do I teach someone to DM? One of my players has been talking to me after the past few sessions about it, and I've let him borrow my copy of the DMG to take notes, but I don't really know where to go from there.

Group is fairly casual, all longtime friends playing in person, if it matters.
>>
>>53625190
The only point of it being on dms guild was to make it usable in other dms guild content.
>>
>>53625190
It's the same. The move to the DM's Guild is A) opening the material (officially) to homebrewers as an open-source resource and B) to make it easier to update in the future.

They have not updated it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
>>
>>53625304
Tomorrow's UA is another set of revised subclasses. This was in the announcement.
>>
File: 1491200056935.jpg (247KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
1491200056935.jpg
247KB, 600x775px
>>53624889

For visibility.
>>
>>53625338
Maybe one will be the soulknife
>>
>>53625338
Really? I must've missed that myself.

I guess the revised options we're seeing have a very good chance of being in the next book. I really hope that War Wizard gets a revision.
>>
>>53625044
>>53625006
Well shit, fuck me running for never reading the Paladin section too closely. You're right, it's definitely a good fit both mechanically and flavor-wise. Thanks for the suggestion!

>Is there something unique to Warlocks you want to capture?
I really liked the idea of being a patron to Fey specifically, and of having received the powers of a warlock rather than the character simply having taken it upon themselves to become an adventurer, but that was really it.

Quick question: does the "Dueling" fighting style (+2 to damage rolls "when you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons") apply even if you're holding a shield as well?
>>
How do I Arcana Cleric? Would I be better off with a melee meme build or just taking Firebolt for damage?
>>
>>53625415
> does the "Dueling" fighting style (+2 to damage rolls "when you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons") apply even if you're holding a shield as well?

Why, yes, it does.
>>
File: car.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
>>53625452

Great!

I'm always paralyzed by choice when it comes to fighting styles, just because I feel like a dick if I don't pick Protection.
>>
>>53625196
It isn't too hard to teach someone to DM, if they have played then they kind of get a general idea, get the starter set with LMoP and it is pretty great for brand new DMs.
>>
>>53623496
Let's say the mean is 10, but 75% have 8. That would leave the other 25% having 16, which is basically PCs dump stat/prime stat ratio.
>>
>>53625470
I've seen protection being used a whole once.
Seems like it's only good in a 10 by 10 dungeon crawl. Which I haven't experienced yet either.
>>
>>53625445
The Arcana Cleric melee meme build has really good at-will damage for a fullcaster. You really should get Shillelagh with Magic Initiate as a V.Human so you can pump Wisdom. Spikes at weird points though.

Booming Blade: at level 1 2d8+3, level 5 4d8+4, level 8 4d8+10, level 11 6d8+10 and level 17 is 8d8+10.

Greenflame: level 1 1d8+6, level 5 3d8+8, level 8 3d8+20, level 11 5d8+20 and level 17 is 7d8+20.

These are assuming you trigger their special effects.

At level 8 you'll become a wrecking ball for a few levels and at all other points you'll be dealing above average.
>>
>>53623782
You can use every CR up to 7. If you use two or more CR = party level, they *are* going to spontaneously die, because those are deadly+ encounters.
>>
>Roll up a high CHA character with persuasion and intimidation proficiency
>DM house rules that persuasion or intimidation encounters have to be RPed, IN first-person character, to be able to even make the check
>If he isn't convinced or the RPing wasn't good enough the roll gets disadvantage
>TFW forced to play the game in the same way the DM would or be penalized for it
Sorry Stephen, we didn't all take one semester of theatre arts in community college once and come away thinking we're brilliant actors that constantly need to "express ourselves". Some of us just want to play the fucking game like normal people.
>>
File: 1486699833646.png (562KB, 683x642px) Image search: [Google]
1486699833646.png
562KB, 683x642px
>>53625648
That's- how the game is played...
>>
>>53625196
As someone who's done this a couple times now, one total failure and one great success:

Try to be cool. Above all, keep his personality in mind and be careful not to step on his toes, or seem condescending, overbearing, or demanding.
Don't make him feel inadequate, and whenever in doubt about whether to comment, err on the side of silence.

Be a patient mentor, and try to tend toward letting him ask questions for you to answer rather than spamming him with advice.
Just make sure he knows he can come to you with questions, and answer them as best you can when they come.
If he asks for feedback, give him some feedback, but what i said before still counts (in fact, it counts even more if you're giving feedback.)
>>
>>53624133
>kill the boss just as the airship crash lands
>pic could be a shadow elf
Shadow over Mystara?
>>
>>53625528
Yeah I corrected myself.
>>
>>53625648
It ain't that hard and it's how the game is generally played.
What did you expect? 'Roll to seduce the guard'? You can at least give your DM a list of arguments or a description of your characters actions during intimidation in third person, but if even that's too much for you - consider playing wargames for a hobby instead.
>>
File: 1434487428700.gif (2MB, 252x280px) Image search: [Google]
1434487428700.gif
2MB, 252x280px
>>53625648
>>
File: Shrugging guy.png (79KB, 968x647px) Image search: [Google]
Shrugging guy.png
79KB, 968x647px
>>53625677
>>53625758
17 years and several DMs I've played with that had no issue with me just narrating my characters' dialogue or actions must be wrong?

Sorry I don't "do voices", I don't "roleplay", and I'm not a professional writer that can just improv lines on the spot. I just want to play a fun cooperative game with buddies. I guess I'll just stick with non-social meatshields for Stephen's games then.
>>
What's the most flavorful race for a master archer?
>>
>>53625857

probably lelfs
>>
>>53625820
> I'm not a professional writer that can just improv lines on the spot
Buddy, how do you... you know... talk to people? IRL, I mean?
Yeah, just do that, no voices or anything, but like, assuming you want what your character wants. That's what roleplay is supposed to be, innit?
>>
Anons? I want to try and convert the Hellbred from 3.5's Fiendish Codex II to a 5e race - yeah, I know their fluff basically boils down to being the bastard lovechildren of tieflings and revenants, but still, I feel they'd be a great fit for a Dark Fantasy setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull it off? I'm torn between making the Infernal Body/Infernal Soul aspect the "subrace" and converting the Devil's Favor feats, and using a downgraded version of the Infernal Body/Soul as part of its innate abilities and using the Devilish Favors as a subrace mechanic.

Which do anons think works best?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hellbred
>>
Is there some kind of female god or powerful Lich that Thay worships? I'm trying to piece together one PC's backstory from some hints he dropped. There's the chance it's something new the DM added in but she's stuck to the lore pretty hard so far.

He calls her his matron is that means anything to someone. Also he's a Revenant.

I know a lot of people might call this cheating but I'm a 20 INT Wizard with proficiency in all Knowledge skills. I'm sure my character would know something.
>>
File: Divine Smite!.png (769KB, 1001x958px) Image search: [Google]
Divine Smite!.png
769KB, 1001x958px
>>53622632
Morningstars for life. Especially when you silver it!
>>
>>53626045
THICC
>>
>>53625820
I'm pretty sure this is one of the most autistic things I have ever heard. Just because you have a high CHA doesnt mean I can just convince someone with a retarded argument. You dont need to fucking express yourself, just dont sound like a retard, which it seems like you have problems doing.
>>
File: dungen.png (18KB, 313x634px) Image search: [Google]
dungen.png
18KB, 313x634px
>>53623628
I wrote this up for on-the-fly inspiration.
>>
>>53625648
>tfw your DM doesn't like the idea of your ability to wordweave persuasion getting fucked up by shitty luck so the only CHA checks are for intimidation and performance with a check for deception if that's how you try it
>tfw your 11 CHA character instead of the bard ends up being half the party face because literally every time they step up to broker peace he comes up with a perfectly reasonable deal which eventually builds further trust between the two groups
I'm certainly not complaining, but it's pretty ridiculous that dumpstat got the party ins with two barbarian tribes, a biomancy guild, a merchant's guild, and a sovereign's court because of sensible speech and a pinch of insight. Just ask your DM to be fair and give advantage for an exceptional RP, then all you have to do is roleplay just as well as any other player should be expected to do, now with a bonus motivation for roleplaying better.
>>
>>53626193
>biomancy
Your DM's a cool dude. Also Biomancy is the best way to roleplay a Druid who isn't "Ma Nature".
>>
>New to D&D
>Trying to DM for some friends
>Run a home brew campaign that relies on whatever stupid shit I can think of at the time
>Have fun for months but realize the many faults in my own writing and design
>Try to delve into more celebrated content
>There's so much shit
>What the fuck

How do you do it tg? I've just recently been trying to wrap my head around forgotten realms but there's literally 50 years worth of content that gets more and more complex as time has gone on and that's only one setting.

I know I don't need to memorize every module that's ever been released but it's a hassle
to balance what ideas I want to do, what ideas have worked for others, cities, religions, political climates, and more.

I'm trying to broaden my horizon because I always get the feeling my setting is too loose and hard to roleplay in due to a lack of depth and design.

Are there any good resources for just soaking in popular lore settings? I'd like to work on building my own but I think DMing is very much an experience related skill and I have a lot to take in before starting another campaign.
>>
What's a good first session for DMing? I wanted to do a one shot just to see if I can DM worth a fuck. Asked the group and they're cool with it. I took a vote and they wanted a dungeon crawl but said they'd take what ever. I also want to know a good level to start them at. Gave them the option of rolling new characters or using current one from main campaign where everyone is level 7.

Any advice/help is good.
>>
>>53625648
Possibly pedantic, but at least Disadvantage can be overcome by a large bonus. I would be concerned if the DM ruled automatic failure even when you roleplay, which is what a lot of the crazies on this board do.
>>
>>53626314

Think of a cool dungeon that would exist in your setting. Have an NPC approach the players and tell them, "Help! You look like some capable adventurers. The really cool dungeon outside of town has been overrun with [monsters of your choice], clear the place out and there'll be a hefty reward!"
>>
>>53626314
Our nigga Colville is there for you, friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo
>>
>>53626314
>>53626344
Or do something fun like "The most beloved culinarian guild is seeking competent adventurers to harvest a set of important ingredients in a nearby exciting (meaning: deadly, dc 10 insight check) location!"
>>
>>53626193
I feel you, bro. Had a situation back in 3.5 where my Elan Psion who burned his already shit Charisma down to 4 through some psionic fuckery had to be the face of the party that had a bard and a paladin because those two were so inept they couldn't say a coherent sentence IC.
The same goes in our on and off campaign now in 5e, where my Witcher-ripoff EK has to talk with nobles and shit, since our _local_nobility_origin_ warlock's player apparently has bones in her tongue messing with her ability to talk or whatever.

I'm, however, is on the DM's side in such situations. It's not hard to play a stat above your own - just talk slowly and choose your words, and let the suspension of disbelief of other players guide you.
>>
>>53626314
Do you have a setting you want to create for DMing?

If you don't, do >>53626350 . If you are planning on building a setting, then try to think of a dungeon that can exploit the main selling point of your setting. For instance, if it's a setting with floating continents and islands, then make a dungeon that's in a floating island that's starting to break, with some sections requiring either acrobatics or some quick thinking to get the chunks together. As an example.
>>
>>53625934
Here's what you do you take your shitty race and you fuck off to /pfg/ alright? Good.
>>
>>53625820
What the fuck are you talking about? You don't have to do any voices or roleplay, just say what you want, that is, what your character wants.
Why are you even playing a TTRPG, and like that other anon said, how do you normally converse with people?
You sound kind of like a spreadsheet kind of player. Either that or a bit socially inept. I can't help you with the first, but the second should be curable. If nothing else, make characters that are like you in personality. It's not ideal, you won't be the party face (or the party brain by the looks of it) but you can still have a role.
>>
>>53626314
My first "attempt" at "DMing" a dungeoncrawl was a not!Egyptian pyramid, since the setting had a desert. With a map directly ripped from the mapping of an Egyptian tomb and then added two extra rooms and a hidden passage. Stuffed in some enemies that would fit the area, one or two that didn't, described some stuff that would also fit the area as the party went through, and tossed in magically sealed door puzzle to ensure at least most of the place would be explored. It went okay.

I suggest trying something similarly simple, pick an area in the setting and put a dungeon there, like an abandoned castle in the woods. Then edit a floorplan taken from an actual castle, or better yet make your own map even if it's just some basic 10ft-wide halls into rooms into staircases into more halls into more rooms. Put in some generic enemies, maybe a self-made something you think would be neat to encounter, and a basic end-goal. Don't go too far into describing areas they pass through, but still use enough detail that it won't seem strange if you mention something like "some suits of armor appear to have an odd discoloration of what might be heraldry paint". If something seems interesting enough that the party wants to investigate further, then with a willing investigation/search roll splurge as much info on that particular thing as you want.
>>
>>53626512
You nor most of the other replies seem to understand that the issue here isn't that I'm somehow playing the game wrong, but that the DM is enforcing penalties for not playing the game how he wants. And I'm the idiot here who is in the wrong? Because I don't want to roleplay MY character how somebody else would?

Gee I didn't realize so many fa/tg/uys would be this adamant to support "That DM" over how a player enjoys the game.
>>
>>53622632

I once had a player dual wield flails.

Fucking imagine that. Imagine someone dual-wielding flails, needing to keep them spinning like goddamn spike-ball helicopters in order to maintain momentum on them. Can you imagine literally any weapon combination less graceful

I wound up reusing the concept for particularly batshit NPCs.
>>
>>53626612
He's not a That DM you unbelievable retard. His game, his rules. Don't like it? Either leave, or discuss it with him and/or the other players. If you're all opposed to it, I assume he'll prefer to keep running the game as you guys like instead of stopping altogether. If not, he's a dick you shouldn't be playing with anyway.
But you can't do that, can you? It's not only that you can't roleplay (in your head it's probably "won't"), it's that you're a stuttering little bitch who couldn't order some pizza without written notes, and would sooner piss yourself than confront your DM and the other players.
Learn how to converse and learn how to roleplay, it's a fucking RPG.
>>
>>53626606
>>53626314
That said, a cool first dungeon should include something not-combat focused. The players meet a prisoner they can interact with. An ancient golem guide who has been trapped in the castle for decades. An enemy who turns out to be a good guy. So on.
>>
Anons? Long story short, I want to add a Bioshock-inspired region to one of my settings. Would reflavored Warforged work for a "Big Daddy Expy" race, or would such a race need to be brewed from scratch?
>>
>>53626694
To be fair, he did mention stuff like 'you must do first person roleplay' and you must play like the DM (who is a professional actor?), which seems a bit harsh.

This whole rant stinks of miscommunication between the original poster and the rest of the thread.
>>
>>53626612
Just because he's doing something you can't be bothered to do doesn't make him 'that DM'.
>>
>>53626712
Warforged are often free. I'd use a homebrew race. That said, going 100% bioshock might not be as fun as giving it more of an original spin. Maybe instead of big daddies there's robo octopuses.
>>
>>53623512
List of options for creativity:
1. Melee martials - Several options, both by default and from class features; also no limit on how you describe your attacks.
2. Casters - Lots of spells with neat special effects and themes; customization is limited, however.
3. Ranged martials - Fewer special attacks than melee martials; customization is limited like casters.
>>
>>53626674
A flail is swung like a sling is shot. You don't have to spin it. You just swing it.
>>
>>53626712
Sure, they would work, but I feel like this isn't the best you can do.

Instead of going for something that's so close to Bioshock that you're making Big Daddies, why not take the original idea of the Bioshock series (taking a political view, current or from earlier politics, taking it to the absolute dystopic extreme and frame it with a somewhat grounded plot within that setting) and do something with the formula for yourself?

Is there an event in history you're interested in? Say, the Warring States period, or the Holy Roman Empire, or the North/South Korea divide? Take something like that, exaggerate the fuck out of it, then set it in a domed city. Then, make your plot hook into a story that makes sense in that setting.
>>
>>53626724
At least it not, you must enact the attack and if it not painful enough you get disadvantages on your it. things that never happened.

thing that might happen. Anon give up and leave thread.
>>
>>53626724
You're the one misinterpreting it. The DM took one semestre of Theatre. That doesn't even mean he's a good actor. Nor did the original poster say what kind of standard he is being held to, beyond "first person roleplay" and "doing voices", which for all intents and purposes might just be a gruffer voice if you're RPing a dwarf for example, and fucking speaking in the first person like a normal human does everyday and like the original poster surely does, to his group if nothing else.
Also as I said, nobody is preventing them from:
1. Dropping the game
2. Talking it out
>>
>>53626817
I'm basically just using the aesthetics of an Art Deco-themed sunken city that descended into degeneracy, insanity and ruination. The city's builders are gone, but things still remain down there in the murk... horrible, terrible things.
>>
>>53626694
Nice adhom rebuttal lad. I did let him know that it's selfish of him to enforce a nonstandard rule when not all players want to play like that, and at least one other player doesn't want to play like that. He dismissed it in a pretty similar fashion saying "if you don't like it feel free to not play". So either I play by his shitty rule that I don't want to play by, or I'm the asshole for walking out of the game that we were all prepared to participate in prior to hearing this ruling?
>>
Sentinel feat is just attack of opportunity shove prone replacing the knocking them down with weapon damage but still reduce there movement to 0.
>>
File: rockelemental.png (237KB, 341x400px) Image search: [Google]
rockelemental.png
237KB, 341x400px
What type(s) of rocks are earth elementals made up of? Pretty much every depiction of earth elementals or golems in video or table top games always just have generic, non descript brown rocks and it triggers me that I don't know what kind of rock it could be. What are some good rocks/stones that are brown?
>>
>>53626888
>attack of opportunity shove prone
You can't shove prone with opportunity attacks as shoving requires the Attack action. You would have to use your action to Ready and then use your reaction to shove... which is a huge waste of action economy.
>>
File: 87I4ioI.png (128KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
87I4ioI.png
128KB, 210x330px
>>53625648

I filibustered my DM over 3 consecutive sessions, almost got kicked out of his house and became one of the most hated people in my town. but it was all worth it because I stopped women from getting the vote in our homebrew city.
>>
>>53626901
Elemental rocks.
>>
>>53626866
Yes.

It's fucking roleplaying. This is something that's been integral to the game from day 1. Especially in 5e, where the game is designed around being more rules-lite and more dependent on roleplaying than other editions. Going into a game thinking you can just say shit like "I roll to convince the NPC" or even "I try and explain to them why they should listen, let's roll" is not going to cut it.

If you want to roll dice to 100% decide things, then play a war game. If you want to let your words affect the game, then play 5e.
>>
>>53626901
They're made out of whatever type of earth is nearby when the summoner casts Conjure Elemental.
>>
>>53626928
Do all rocks become brown and nondescript when an elemental is formed? Is that the magic behind the earth element?
>>
>>53626866
Bring it up with the other players. Walk out, it's your right, and I would rather not play than go through what is a difficult experience for me, as IC RP seems to be for you, as well as play with a dick that doesn't listen to his players. Play a mute. Roll with the damn disadvantage while watching acting tutorials on YouTube til you get good enough to not be disadvantaged anymore. You're focusing on how he's trying to fuck you over instead of stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new, bettering yourself, and finding another damn game with normal people.
>>
>>53626901
>flint elemental deals slashing damage and lights stuff on fire
>bismouth elemental casts color spray
>granite elemental has double proficiency on stealth checks
>>
>>53626944
Considering D&D has EARTH elementals and not ROCK elementals, they probably contain a fair bit of soil.
>>
>>53626974
All earth elementals are made of at least 60% rock though.
>>
>>53626888
That's grapple, not shove prone, so it saves you an attack's damage, a free hand, works with your weapon instead of a separate proficiency, has no size limit, and enables the activity at all, officially anyway. It also thwarts disengages and helps when you aren't the only one in melee. It does a lot.
>>
File: 99120103014_LootasNEW02.jpg (57KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99120103014_LootasNEW02.jpg
57KB, 600x620px
>new to D&D
>wanna get friends into it
>have some 40k miniatures around
>decide to do a one off where the players are a gang of Orks lost in a magical land
How do I do it?
Any plot ideas? Something to hook the players in?
How do I successfully end it with a feeling of satisfaction and closure?
I'm new to the whole roleplaying thing, so sorry if I miss anything.
>>
>>53627017
Grappling also requires the Attack action and can thus not be done as an opportunity attack.
>>
File: BlackCompany.png (347KB, 486x501px) Image search: [Google]
BlackCompany.png
347KB, 486x501px
Reposting from last thread:

Hey, how would I go about making a character based off of Croaker from the Black Company?
Preferably at his prime during the Taglios arc.
I kinda want to say a Bard of Valor multi-classing with Battle Master Fighter maybe, but I dunno.
>Able to heal others as a physician
>Records events of either the party or journey in general akin to the Annals of the Black Company
>Still a skilled fighter and could be able to front line without getting stomped
>Bows is also a good backup choice
>Might want to get the Company Standard and Widowmaker armor involved somehow, so martial polearm training and heavy armor proficiency.
Also, is leadership a thing in 5e kinda like in Pathfinder where at the very least you can get NPC followers? Having a squad of dudes would also be pretty enjoyable, albeit might fuck up combat further.

So far the suggestions I've gotten are Fighter with medic feat, or Paladin.

Any other ideas?
>>
>>53626992
Water is 60% of the human body's volume.
Skin is only 16% of the human body's total weight, however, yet it's more easily visible than everything beneath it - including the water.
>>
>>53627038
Hence sentinel enables the activity at all.
>>
>>53627043
But 100% of an earth element looks like rock
Check matephite
>>
>>53626911
Yes, you are correct. But the thing with the ready action is that you can get more than one enemy and when it your next turn, you have full action and they (2-3) are proned and you have advantage.
>>
>>53627080
You cannot possibly perceive 100% of anything at any time, unless you are a beholder with multi-layered, differentiated x-ray vision.
>>
>>53627039
Fighter (Battle Master) 3. Rogue (Assassin) 3
+ be literate and have feels

I know cause I did it.
also fuck bard. its not music, or magic, or anyof that shit.
its doing a job. that job is soldiering, its medicing. its recording. our friends died to keep us moving.
>>
>>53626930
>This is something that's been integral to the game from day 1
From what I understand previous editions of D&D were built almost exclusively on dungeon crawling and combat, being derivative of the wargames you mention. That it barely focused on the roleplaying aspect beyond "You are an adventurer and you raid dungeons for treasure". But I digress.

On the subject of roleplaying vs dice rolling, if the rules for rolling dice aren't being enforced then why play D&D instead of just doing some sort of freeform roleplaying? This is going to be a bit off topic, but I've also seen people suggest reducing or eliminating dice roles for other things like perception, investigation, or constant active discouragement from even rolling stats. Why? This is quite literally a dice rolling game, but people want to remove as much of the dice rolling as possible. In my honest opinion dice rolling is a core part of D&D, otherwise you might as well just be LARPing.

>>53626947
I'll talk with the other players, but I'm pretty sure two of the others don't have a problem with it. In any case I can't just walk out because I live in a pretty rural area that's not exactly teeming with a D&D community and I'd rather not have them no longer want to play with me again just because I don't like one guy's rule.
>>
A while ago I saw what I think was a third party pdf that had a huge list of every type of shop and what they were likely to sell. Does anyone know what i'm talking about? I can't seem to find it but I swear it was styled like the WoTC supplements. It might be in the trove but i'm not sure which one it would be.
>>
>>53627143
I think that was one dude showing the thread his boundless autism.
>>
Why are there so many autistics in this thread and previous threads? What the fuck is up with that?
>>
File: 1472461212717.jpg (251KB, 1698x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1472461212717.jpg
251KB, 1698x1140px
>>53627143
Haven't seen it.
>>
>>53627143
Was it something like this?

Couldn't post the PDF, file too large: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlSmFsa2UtOENBdDQ/view
>>
>>53627190
That's exactly what it was. Thanks anon.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1496648515749.jpg (80KB, 960x663px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1496648515749.jpg
80KB, 960x663px
Is pic related true?
>>
File: 1481947395303.gif (725KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1481947395303.gif
725KB, 200x150px
>>53627190
That's some legendary autism.
>>
File: 1468454688939.gif (188KB, 559x373px) Image search: [Google]
1468454688939.gif
188KB, 559x373px
>>53627216
I don't get this splitting up meme. What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>53627137
Fuck yeah, I can get behind this
>>
>>53627141
May I suggest you purchase and try out "Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil" or some other D&D-based box-set board game? I tried it and it was great fun - it has most of vital 5ed mechanics in place, doesn't need a DM and doesn't require any emotional input from the players. You might really like it, all sarcasm aside.

In a conventional campaign these days you are expected (by most of the community, at least) to be invested in the game and keeping to the letter R in RPG - you have a role, not just in combat and exploration, but in social encounters too. That means your character should probably have a bit of, you know, character. It doesn't have to be manner of speech or such - a bit of motivation, some quirks, etc. - just to make him stand out enough from the background of the whole game so DM can build his world and the adventure plot with him in mind.

Talk with your DM about describing your character's action in third person, at the very least. You can just describe how he walks, how he poises himself, and what he talks about during the interaction with the NPC, without saying the exact words. Most sane DMs accept it. I've seen players that only RP like that and still had really compelling and believable characters.
>>
>>53627143
>>53627190
Hey, Stronghold rules are finished enough to have expansions? Does anyone have the core stuff? I would love to just throw it in the faces of my players next time they try to 'settle down' instead of coming up with all this shit myself.
>>
>>53627216
We split up once, into 3 groups.

Me and my Familiar had heard a noise and investigated, the Ranger and her pet were looking through an alchemy lab and the Paladin and Fighter were interrogating a slave next room over.

All it took to cause mass panic and confusion was me opening a door.

The Fighter and Paladin were fighting off a horde of slaves, the Ranger dealt with an Earth Elemental and I was in a Wizard duel of spam Counterspell, Shield and Magic Missile.

Lasted 2 hours and ended with two people down, enough teleporting to cause minor astral disturbances and me using my 12 STR to drown the other Wizard in a pool.

Would do it again.
>>
>>53627090
>the thing with the ready action is that you can get more than one enemy
How? You only get one attack.
>>
So I'm a level 4 fighter and have ~900gp stocked up. I'm good on weapons and armour, what can I spend my money on? Siege weapons? I don't want to invest in a fixed base because our party is going to be moving pretty soon, should I get a big fancy wagon?
>>
>>53627322
>drown the other wizard in a pool

This is how a good wizarding duel should end. Just like Xykon and Fyron in Start of Darkness.
>>
>>53627322
Sounded like mad fun.
>>
>>53627395
Buy a magic item or something
>>
>>53627499
The GM doesn't have magic items for sale unfortunately.
>>
>>53627395
War elephant with mobile base and arnour on it
>>
>>53627287
Nvm, found it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlOWxZXzY3ZURHSnc/view
>>
File: 1450788184982.jpg (267KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450788184982.jpg
267KB, 1280x720px
>>53627554
Thanks for posting it after finding it, anon. That was a kindness.
>>
>>53627395
Real estate and spell components are basically the only things worth investing into. I suggest you buy diamonds for your cleric, so you can be revived.
>>
>>53627141
>In my honest opinion dice rolling is a core part of D&D
Yeah, that's where you have it wrong. The core of RP is that your decisions matter. You don't roll dex to see if your ten foot pole triggers the trap. Some things you just do without rolling. Rolling is how you resolve uncertainty, but it's not how you play the game.
>>
>>53627619
Refluff it as diamond earrings as a cute gift.
Merry cleric butt fucking, anon.
>>
>>53627653
You're a good man, anon
>>
>>53627322
>me using my 12 STR to drown the other Wizard in a pool.
Oh man. Story time.
>Fighting barbarians (culturally) on a narrow bridge.
>Three light raiders and a heavy berserker.
>Ranger and dexbarian holding the line.
>I suggest kicking off the berserker.
>Barb doesn't want to try cause it prolly has more Str.
>Even though it has ~50 hp and resists all our attacks.
>Barb wants to grapple the little raiders with <10 hp though.
Fucking hell.
>>
Why did you guys tell me Marisha Ray was bad? She was pretty good in Tower of the Curator.
>>
>>53627322
>"Interrogating a slave"
>"Fighting off a horde of slaves"
hmm
>>
File: 1476255524146.png (214KB, 634x944px) Image search: [Google]
1476255524146.png
214KB, 634x944px
>>53627322
>wizard with 12 strength
>>
>>53623782
Put a Clay Golem with the key inside his ass. Call it a Key Golem.
You can thank me later.
>>
>>53627742
Haven't watched SoA games yet. Which ones are worth the time?

In CR, she's still kinda obnoxious, but way more manageable than before. She finally has a good grasp of her spells, but Keileth is still only barely decent - each time she finds a new way to fuck shit up.
>>
>>53624133
The wilderness is actually dinosaur land.
Prepare to ride raptors and run from tyrannosaurs.
>>
>>53627742
If that was the name of the one-shot she partook in during the Stream of Annihilation event, you're seeing her at her best.

The character she plays on CR is much worse.
>>
>>53628257
New thread.
>>
Need advice, never encountered this situation before. GMs for Bardfags help please.

I have a player who, for whatever reason, really liked the characterization of the main "good guy" NPC, so she has tried to hook up with him.

He has no real reason NOT to, and for various reasons he is often looked at with disgust or begrudging respect. It's a half orc who only managed to gdt any kind of leadership position through immense hard work. His problem with the ladies has been "I am a fucking half orc", so he had just given up on it.

The player has managed to do a lot of make the character seem genuinely into this guy, and has rolled really well on a lot of the social rolls so far, but...

I am kind of worried about the change in pace here. The PCs are working for him, as he is the one giving them the main tasks and rewards for completing them. If he were to hook up with one of them... I kinda feel like a "conflict of interest" situation is about to appear.

I know I have a few options, of course. For starters, I could kill the NPC. Kind of lazy, but it would give the PC more of a drive that she currently lacks.

I could also try to force a "let's keep it private and not let it effect anything", but that sounds bioware-y, which is somehow even more lazy.

The rest of my small ideas all cause conflict in the group, as it would almost all lead to favouring the girl hooking up with him. Or could I just angle it so his affection for her is veiled under a General "I love all of you guys, so have some extra rewards"?

Disclaimer: I dont mind the relationship at all, but I want to make sure this doesn't cause an issue with the other players.
>>
>>53626291
Id still recommend building your own setting anon, theres a section in the DMG on this covering the stuff you should include

If i can make a recommendation to ease your nerves and inexperience: just build one region.
Your players will do things and you'll build the rest of the world out of the things that come up during play. The players meet a merchant with exotic goods who hails from the Salt Deserts, so now you make a note that there are The Salt Deserts in this world, and so on.

After a while you'll have an entire world of material without knowing how. Good luck!
>>
>>53624103
Find Familiar spell says:
"As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your
familiar. (...) As an action while it is temporarily dismissed,
you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space
within 30 feet of you."

So, i guess, RAW you don't need line of sight.
>>
File: 1483616109114.jpg (240KB, 1280x667px) Image search: [Google]
1483616109114.jpg
240KB, 1280x667px
>>53621363
>>53621462
>>53621500
>>53621867

I can actually see the argument that "The Sun does not exist in 5e" refers to the star that Earth revolves around, (Sol, el sol, die sonne, 太阳, etc) in our universe, and that it's not stated anywhere in the RAW that it exists and produces sunlight. Nor does anywhere in the RAW (off the top of my head) does it state the properties of a sun or star even if it did exist, and that it creates light. Light itself is referenced (by the index) on page 183 of the PHB, and I suppose we must extrapolate from that if we want to find any kind of light to be established in the game. I'm going with the phrase,

>The presence or absence of light in an environment creates three categories of illumination: bright light, dim light, and darkness.

You can also argue that "sources of illumination" are real or exist in 5e because of the phrase under Bright Light, so light itself as a phenomenon is real in 5e.

If we're thinking real world physics, without any kind of "light" the game would be internally broken and any world it would be played in would not work by pure RAW because there is no stated source of light for any of the PC's to observe, interact, or even understand what's happening around them because there would be absolutely no way to reveal or show anything happening. In a world with observable nothing we can only assume that nothing happens and the whole thing is dead.

In order for 5e to work, there has to be something that produces light. I like the idea that only certain spells can produce light (or sunlight) or even bright light (referenced in the index as being "light" anyway). Makes for a cool idea that only casters or beings that can cast the spell light or anything that creates bright light (and maybe dim light) can actually reveal anything in the game/world as happening which is otherwise perpetually shrouded in darkness because there isn't a star that produces light. Sort of magical torch bearers.
>>
>>53624803
Oath of ancients pally and feylock
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.