[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 38

>Stream of Annihilation:
http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation

>Unearthed Arcana Update
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
>>53621363

What do you expect from the upcoming Arcana?
>>
>>53628257
>last thread only on page 6
Nice. Let's get all those cross-thread posts up.
>>
Something new for the upcoming books, maybe? I don't know really, I do think they should make something flavorful for the new "setting".
>>
https://pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
More options for the other races.
>>
Reposting in new thread

Need advice, never encountered this situation before. GMs for Bardfags help please.

I have a player who, for whatever reason, really liked the characterization of the main "good guy" NPC, so she has tried to hook up with him.

He has no real reason NOT to, and for various reasons he is often looked at with disgust or begrudging respect. It's a half orc who only managed to gdt any kind of leadership position through immense hard work. His problem with the ladies has been "I am a fucking half orc", so he had just given up on it.

The player has managed to do a lot of make the character seem genuinely into this guy, and has rolled really well on a lot of the social rolls so far, but...

I am kind of worried about the change in pace here. The PCs are working for him, as he is the one giving them the main tasks and rewards for completing them. If he were to hook up with one of them... I kinda feel like a "conflict of interest" situation is about to appear.

I know I have a few options, of course. For starters, I could kill the NPC. Kind of lazy, but it would give the PC more of a drive that she currently lacks.

I could also try to force a "let's keep it private and not let it effect anything", but that sounds bioware-y, which is somehow even more lazy.

The rest of my small ideas all cause conflict in the group, as it would almost all lead to favouring the girl hooking up with him. Or could I just angle it so his affection for her is veiled under a General "I love all of you guys, so have some extra rewards"?

Disclaimer: I dont mind the relationship at all, but I want to make sure this doesn't cause an issue with the other players.
>>
>>53628357
The NPC doesn't hold all the straws, there's an organisation behind him that determines who gets paid what. Thus, he might be able to rain a little bit of favour onto the PCs, he can't make or break them.
>>
>>53628257
What are people's final thoughts on the Stream of Annihilation?
>>
>>53628413
Day 2 Maze Arcana (I think it was that one?) was a fucking trainwreck.
>>
>>53628413
Still needed a summary of everything announced there for those who cannot watch the 2 day stream.
>>
>>53628436
How so?
>>
I'm playing an Arcane Trickster. Variant Human with Mobile. Ability spread is 8,16,14,14,12,10 after racials.
Cantrips: Greenflame, minor illusion, Mage Hand
1st: Find Familiar, Silent Image, Disguise Self

Fights with a Rapier. My question is this: should I ever take another feat, or just pump DEX and then get vanity boosts to INT and CON?

Character was a street urchin trained by a disgraced duelist-turned-criminal.
>>
File: 1491302410949.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491302410949.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>53628491
Crazy amount of railroading and really bad "jokes" about how the players aren't following the DM's story.

Yeah, I get that the games are scripted as hell, but have a bit of delicacy in reminding the players of it. "You should probably do *this* instead, hint hint." instead of, "WELP, RECALL ALL THE BOOKS." "NO, YOU DON'T DO THAT, *THIS* HAPPENS."
>>
>>53628413
Aussies were best, although seemed a bit scripted at times
Mearls was good
Dice camera action was good
Everything else was ok or bad
>>
>>53628413
Mearls' game was brilliant, enjoyed the stuff Chris DMed even though meatgrinder was questionable (his gleefully tearing up character sheets made up for it tremendously), and I was surprised how well Dylan DMed. Everything else was hit or miss.

>>53628436
I had to miss most of that and the Aussie game. I thought the first day MA game went fairly poorly mostly because the celebrities they brought on didn't seem to know what they were doing, and it was a clusterfuck of PvP.
>>
>>53628526
>street urchin trained by a disgraced duelist-turned-criminal
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>53628542
The Aussie game was gold, though.
>>
>>53628526
What feat are you thinking about taking?
>>
>>53628548
I think that's a book, isn't it? I swear it sounds familiar as fuck.
>>
File: 1490660198397.jpg (146KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
1490660198397.jpg
146KB, 500x428px
>>53628413
Scooby was either drinking at every chance he could get, or he needs to tone it down a bit and stop interrupting others. I have no idea if he's new to the game or not, but a bit of courtesy in letting others speak isn't limited to playing D&D.
>>
>>53628436
>>53628527
>>53628534
>>53628542
Who were in the MA games?
>>
>>53628542
What made you think the Meatgrinder was questionable.

>>53628574
He wasn't really bad was he? He was respectable in the Curator game.
>>
>>53628413
Which games do you think were scripted?
>>
Anons? I want to try and convert the Hellbred from 3.5's Fiendish Codex II to a 5e race - yeah, I know their fluff basically boils down to being the bastard lovechildren of tieflings and revenants, but still, I feel they'd be a great fit for a Dark Fantasy setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull it off? I'm torn between making the Infernal Body/Infernal Soul aspect the "subrace" and converting the Devil's Favor feats, and using a downgraded version of the Infernal Body/Soul as part of its innate abilities and using the Devilish Favors as a subrace mechanic.

Which do anons think works best?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hellbred
>>
>>53628554
Mage Slayer for fun, or Lucky, Alert, or one of the Resilients for a bad save like Constitution or Wisdom.
But Mage Slayer just sounds fun with Mobile and all that movement rogues have.
>>
What do you guys think of Mearls initiative?
>Everyone above the enemies goes in a group in any order
>Enemies go
>Everyone below enemies goes in a group in any order
>>
>>53628615
>>53628413
I for one liked the fact the Lead Designer of 5e is showing viewers that sometimes it's just great to handwave the rules and have fun.

Chris Perkins also said that if you don't agree with a rule or don't like it, just ignore it as the DM.
>>
>>53628257
>3rd ed Shaman would be cool if they brought it into 5ed
>>
>>53628557
>I think that's a book, isn't it?
Not only it's a book, it's also a movie, a play and backstory of 90% rogues and bards. It's THE cliche.
>>
>>53628574
I don't know, I kind of enjoyed his enthusiasm. Maybe he did get a bit overzealous here and there.

>>53628587
It was supposed to showcase the new "hardmode" mechanics, which was all of enemies hitting harder apparently and the new dc15 death save. What ended up happening was a bunch of people just outright dying by getting thrown off the cliff, getting auto-fails on death saves from being hit by enemies or rolling nat 1's, or rolling well below 10 anyway so the mechanic never really came into play except twice when two people rolled exactly 10. And then there were the faggot half-orc players that abused their racial ability in a way I don't think was actually legal but the game was strapped for time so I can forgive some cheese. Joe was bro and that rogue that popped in and gave the orb away before fucking off to save himself was great.
>>
>>53628679
>>53628587
>>53628574
I think the dude just really likes D&D.
>>
File: 1493494373151.jpg (309KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1493494373151.jpg
309KB, 1920x1080px
New UA when
>>
I have a V.Human Paladin with Sentinel and Polearm Master who uses a lance, glaive, and a quarterstaff. Using spell slots to smite with the occasional spell here and there. Mainly fight while riding a mount unless I'm forced off it. Should I go for an ASI or get Mounted Combatant?
>>
>>53628553
>>53628534
Warlocks should be referred to as "homeschooled wizards" from now on.
>>
>>53628608
Rogues get proficiency in WIS saves automatically at like level 14
>>
>>53628949
Ah, forgot about slippery mind. Maybe CON Resilient, though it sounds so damn boring.
>>
Anyone got a good domain list for the god of money? I've had my right arm replaced by her and want to take a one or two level dip. I'm currently a goblin rogue at level 7 with either 18 or 19 dex and 14 wisdom.
>>
>>53628641
I find the lead rules designer openly and publically acknowledging his rules are shit and best left ignored with the added excuse this is an interesting dedicated feature rather disheartening.
>>
>>53629058
I would assume that he's not the only guy working on the rules and got overruled by other designers. Pretty sure the RAW is mostly catering to the audience and the playtesters, but designers themselves, being DMs, have their opinions on the matter.
>>
>>53629058
Why are you this autistic?
>>
>>53628257
Holy shit guys I'm going to play 5e for the first time with a new group and I haven't touched tabletops in a year.

Can somebody give me a quick rundown or a basic gestalt of classes and rule changes from 3.5? Are monks still shit? What the fuck are advantages? I tried reading the books but they were sucky and boring as hell and somebody wanted me to pay for them.
>>
>>53629049
Personally I'd use Trickery, Forge or Knowledge depending on the type of money god.

Goblin Rogue would probably get the most out of Forge for a 1-2 level dip.
>>
>>53629136
>Are monks still shit?
Everything is fine except way of the elements monk and PHB ranger. There is a playtest ranger which is better.
>What the fuck are advantages?
2d20, use highest
Disavantage is 2d20 use lowest
>>
>>53629136
>Can somebody give me a quick rundown or a basic gestalt of classes and rule changes from 3.5?

It's a completely different game... like it has nothing in common to 3.5 so forget everything you know about it.

You have to read the book man, it's not that much work and you're not that retarded. I believe in you.
>>
Planning to play a Swashbuckler Pirate. Am I seeing this correctly that I'd need to pick Weapon Master in order to dual-wield Scimitars as a Swashbuckling Pirate (since those are the closest thing resembling a cutlass)?
>>
File: 1421297681677.png (192KB, 743x642px) Image search: [Google]
1421297681677.png
192KB, 743x642px
>>53629136
Monks are okay but nothing stellar, advantage = roll d20 twice, take the highest, read the fucking PHB
>>
>>53629224
okay but is there anything big that changed I need to know. Any weird shit?

Like, are Dex fighters feasible?
Did they make any retarded revisions to unbalance magic users?

Just anything you can think of that's changed big time, not specifically answering those examples.
>>
>>53629136
Are monks still shit
No monks are actually bloody good fun this edition. Major things to avoid is 4 elements monk and instead of the PHB book ranger go for the revised one download it from Unearthed Arcana on the site if the DM allows it. The only really bad class this edition is the sorcerer and it has good archetypes like the stone sorcerer.
>>
>>53629249
Start as fighter and pick Two Weapon Fighting as your Fighting Style.
You can start with
Two Scimitars
Better saving throws in Strength / Con
Leather Armour + Longbow and 20 arrows
Second Wind

It's a very good tradeoff for the rogue capstone.
>>
File: mages.png (132KB, 580x400px) Image search: [Google]
mages.png
132KB, 580x400px
>>53629269
>Unbalance magic users

This is when I knew for sure you were trolling.
>>
>>53629249
Just ask your DM to switch short sword training for scimtar. They are worse than short swords anyway.
>>
>>53629136
Every class has 2-3 subclasses and also some additional options to choose from now. And yes, that makes dex-fighers, dex-barbarians and sometimes even dex-paladins very possible. Also Str-Bards.

No skill points, no saving throw progression tables, no base attack bonuses. All of that is rolled into 'proficiency bonus' - you add it and corresponding ability to stuff your class/character is proficient with, and just ability if you don't.

Casters are less broken thanks to concentration mechanic - most ongoing buffs/debuffs require concentration, and you can concentrate only on one spell at a time. But they are still broken (at levels 11+ at the very least).

PCs aren't Magic Item Christmas Trees anymore - most good items require attunement, and you can attune only to 3 items at a time.

Races have no ability penalties - generally one +2 and one +1.

In addition to Race and Class you have Background - generally it's your character's before he started adventuring. It gives a couple of skill proficiencies, a tool or a language, and some starting equipment.

Combat is a bit less restrictive - you don't need feats to move-attack-move, Finesse is a weapon property, not a feat, etc. No more 'full action, standard action, swift action, move action, free action' - now there's just action, move and bonus action, you can do each one once per round, nothing is interchangeable.

Feats are optional and are much more powerful than 3.5s.

That should probably be enough for you for starters. Good luck with your game, friend!
>>
>>53629190
Actually don't know much about it other than it is one of the few survivors of a war before people so it's hard to say. It also had a treasure hoard that could crash the world economy. DM's making us figure out the whole thing about the war and how it relates to what's happening today. Trickery didn't seem great for a one level dip.

I love having expertise so I might go Knowledge. Forge seems the most practical if boring for a 1 lvl dip.
>>
>>53629358
that's a damn good answer
>>
>>53628409
Problem is he DOES. The players decided to make a large campaign out of helping this frontier town led by this half orc. People let him lead because of his hard work - he was essentially elected by the people in the village.

Another issue is that the party is very much thrown into dangerous combat very every single time, but character in question is a squishy unarmoured Rogue who has a now and a short sword, and doesn't exactly seem like a good fighter.

I could make less combat heavy quests, but since the other players are all combat monsters, they'd likely be a bit annoyed considering they barely have any out-of-combat utility.
>>
>>53628509

This seems like the most manageable course of action, thanks. I just don't want PCs to dash out towards another continent outside my expectations and have them find an unfinished mess due to improper planning.

I will focus on building a content dense area that grows from there though
>>
Who here is hyped for Chult?
>>
File: 1440192388474.jpg (363KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1440192388474.jpg
363KB, 1920x1080px
Trying to build a rogue archetype about ghost friendship, after one of my players had a weirdly charming reaction to being possessed for a while.

Need advice, criticism, ideas, fresh eyes.

It's written up here, but this is a first pass: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ
>>
DM taking us through a dungeon right now. I'm enjoying it okay but it's really long. We play 3 hours a week and are a month in. The other members of our group are losing interest entirely. According to the DM we are 1/3 of the way done with the dungeon. I don't know if my group will keep playing if they have to put up with it that much longer.

Any advice I can give my DM for this problem?
>>
>>53629985
>3 months in one dungeon
Are you in the underdark or something?
>>
>>53629985
I know that feel, anon, spend 1.5 months in a dungeon recently, only got out one session ago. Can't really offer any advice.
>>
>>53630030
It's some pyramid. He thinks it will be 9 more weeks he just told me.
>>
File: 1483946543347.jpg (309KB, 1280x1575px) Image search: [Google]
1483946543347.jpg
309KB, 1280x1575px
>>53630050
>9 more weeks
mfw. My DM handled this the Darkest Dungeon sort of way - there are a couple of megadungeons in the adventure, but when we go to them, we don't clear them fully - we only clear the first floor or something, before returning to town to do some other stuff. At later levels, we are supposed to return to this dungeon and clear the second one, and the whole story is structured to allow this to happen and make sense.
>>
>>53629596
For the 3rd level feature, I'd make it so that things the familiar is carrying don't turn invisible. More comedic value and less cheese.
>>
>>53628534
Suite Life's game was surprisingly good as well
>>
Out of the abyss sucks
>>
>>53630172
How so?
>>
>>53630050
Lightly suggest to him the possibility of returning to the surface or even breaking up the monotony of dungeon crawling by coming across a small campsite in the pyramid where graverobbers got lost and set up shop or something. 9 straight weeks of combat isn't fun.
>>
File: 1479690709383.jpg (70KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1479690709383.jpg
70KB, 1024x768px
Would you play a character in a world where there was no sun, or massive source of light, and the only things that made the fabric of reality work are things that create light and reveal what was around them? Maybe like massive "sun stones" or something that where carted across the land in huge ox-carts or some shit, or any caster who took the Light cantrip.

I made post in the last thread ( >>53630111) regarding the whole light vs sunlight thing, and it got my head swimming with ideas.
>>
I want shaman to become a class like the one that came in the oriental adventure book for 3rd ed.
>>
>>53630197
Sounds neat, though I can't help but imagine that all major cities and major roads and trading routes would already have sunstones set up along/around them. Would only factor in the wilderness and dirt roads etc. Aside from that, the Overdark does sound at least interesting.
>>
>>53630197
I would be a stout halfling mushroom farmer, tending his crops.
>>
>>53630200
You're going to be waiting a while. Subclasses in November and it's Artificer and Mystic after that, which will probably be a year or more after the subclasses. Maybe they'll UA a shaman at some point.
>>
Is the resilient feat any good for casters, as a dwarf mine has high con anyways but proficiency would be nice
>>
>>53630197
Would this fuck any classes over? I know some rely on darkness, but do any rely on light?
>>
>>53630263
I prefer it to warcaster as con saves can come up a lot, but it's a boring feat
>>
>>53630255
shame the idea of the class seems cool.
>>
>>53630294
It may be boring, but as far as practicality goes it seems fine
>>
>>53630197
I could see the environment becoming very interesting because of this. Assuming the sunstones work like our sun. Cities would be covered in flowers and trees and foliage on practically every available surface, roads are just strips of bright green grass reaching from town to town flanked on all sides by dirty mushy or hardened soil with nothing but mushrooms in it. Farmers are actually the richest members of society, as they needed to purchase a sunstone as well as selling the rarest, most sought after foods like corn and potatoes. Hunters needing to be exceptionally skilled to hunt creatures in the darkness, creatures that have adapted to the environment and so aren't just a typical deer or rabbit.

There's a lot to play with there.
>>
Whats the quickest way to burn through a dragon's legendary resistance
>>
>>53629596
First of all i'd like to question why this is an archetype. If the rogue has made friends with a ghost, why not make that ghost an NPC? Maybe it joins them on the adventure. That way you could roleplay it and dictate what it can and can't do. An ally is a boon for sure, but not every thing the PC's get need be from their class.

However, if this situation is more of a path they wish to persue I have this feedback. If you look at the Warlock, it's Pact of the Chain gives an improved find familiar, which is what we want. The highest CR creature from that is CR 1. Now the only undead that fits these requirements and is ghost-like is the Specter (MM.279), however it is medium, So you would have to be fine with that, or refluff its size. Another option is the Will-O-Wisp (MM.301), a CR 2 creature, but a bit more in line and familiar-y, plus you could easily refluff it as a ghost.

The next thing to keep in mind is Rogue archetypes get two 3rd level features. While the familiar provides a crunch benefit (free sneak attack partner), a 'ribbon' feature is also needed, just a small, non-combat feature. Maybe they can get emotional readings off objects, something like that.

Next is the 9th level ability. I believe familiars act on the owners turn but have thair own actions, so it might be simpler to state that it know thaumaturgy and can cast it.

The 13th level feature is nice, but just remind the player familiars cant go more than 100 feet from them.

The last feature is a bit wonky to me. An easier solution would be to make it like a paladin capstone ability. Perhaps you allows your familiar to possess you, gain a bunch of benefits for 1 minute. You know like, walk through walls etc etc.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>53630392
Contagion.
>>
>>53630402
Isn't that a touch spell?
>>
>>53630412
Yes. What are you, a pussy?
>>
>>53630418
I am, but my character isn't
>>
>>53630412
>He doesn't slap dragons on the ass when he fights then

Fag
>>
>>53630392
>>53630402
I second Contagion, Slimy Doom variant, delivered through a familiar or Trickery cleric's duplicate, if you are not into touching scales. That's at the very least 3 rounds worth of a stunned dragon, and it most probably will have to burn a couple of those resistances.
>>
>>53630392
Cause it to make saving throws? If you have a someone with extra attack maybe poisoned arrows so it has to make a bunch quickly. You just need it to fail throws and choose no succeed. But then the DM might play it smart and not succeed the first three it fails.
>>
Is there an UA coming out today?
>>
Why are casters so shit at low levels? No, seriously, casters deal much less damage (clerics, moondruids and warlock are good though), literally everyone passes ST, low HP, useless (bards as the only exception), few slots (warlocks habe a huge problem with this)...

Why play casters if your game isn't over level 5? Especially sorcerers
>>
>>53630464
Because as you get to higher levels it becomes the opposite
>>
>>53630464
I meant useless skills, only bards get good ones
>>
>>53630392
Monk. 3 saving throws or be stunned per turn. 4 if you spend more Ki. Some enemies are immune to stun though
>>
>>53630464
Utility.
>>
>>53630464
Utility and Control. Not single-target damage. Learn to play them.
I saw a bard substitute for tank.
I saw wizards fuck up whole set-piece encounters before they started.
I saw weak-ass sorcerer pull out so many tricks outside of combat it blew swaths of DM's plot away.
I saw warlocks kite mooks, and I saw them doing a heroic last stand.
Everything is possible, because it's all magic.
>>
File: 1289701493384.jpg (397KB, 1459x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1289701493384.jpg
397KB, 1459x1063px
>>53630464

>Why play casters if your game isn't over level 5? Especially sorcerers

Causes casters can cast fucking magic man! It's not all about damage and shit. The fact that a warlock with thaumaturgy can scare the piss out of some peasants ruffians looking to scrap with the PC's at level 2 is more powerful then the fighter's steel sword lopping off the ehad of a single giant spider. As a DM I would totally award experience for a well played magical spell to advance the story or end an encounter.

And, because magic missile doesn't miss.
>>
What's a nice way to optimize the Huntah?
>>
>>53630554
Be black, collect welfare.
>>
>>53629269
Dex fighters are good if you want to use a bow/crossbow. Magic users are a not as imbalanced as in previous additions, lore wizard being the exception.
>>
File: p01bfjpf.jpg (32KB, 357x401px) Image search: [Google]
p01bfjpf.jpg
32KB, 357x401px
Alright, I've decided I wanna shipwreck my party to start off their adventure..

Is this a bad idea? How do I make them not feel cheated about their possessions and shit? Did they hold on to them all perfectly? Did part of the ship's hold survive with their shit in it? Do they lose it all cause fuck them?
>>
>>53630619
Crates floated to shore with all the stuff they need
>>
>>53630619
They got shipwrecked during a naval fight, which is why they all have armor, weapons and most important things with them. Everything else can be easily replaced.
>>
File: 1433637760387.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
1433637760387.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
We play with an optional d100 table for criticals hits and misses.
We had a 3-day "season finale" this weekend like every year for our campaign and in the last fight, the last man standing, a dwarf barb at 7 hp, scored a double natural 20 (with disadvantage) on the final boss, and then rolled a straight 100 on the critical table to just outright kill him.

I've been playing for over 15 years and I've never seen anything like it, I just thought I'd share it with you. I just got home.
>>
>>53630605
dex sword and board also works, but
>using a rapier with a shield
>>
>>53630619
Their gear has been scattered over the shore, and thier weapons/spell foci have been taken by bullywugs. The party must either find a way to steal their weapons back, parley with the simple creatures and give in to their comedic demands or face them head on with clever planning/makeshift weaponry.
>>
>>53630231
>>53630372
>>53630238

These are all awesome ideas! I didn't even think of the concept of plants, mushrooms, or cities. How would people and cultures adapt to the light or the darkness? How would they live, eat, sleep? I'd imagine that the luminesence of a society would atleast cast a dim light on the surrounding area perhaps out a couple miles, making living on the fringes of light still possible. Haven't even addressed the concept of temperature or climate.

I'm sure any creature that lives in the darkness would adapt with darkvision, would it have light sensitivity? Makes me think of Tolkien's orcish armies, that could only march under a dark, ashy cloud that blotted out the sun. Maybe like pure darkness actually spawns monsters or some shit, like in minecraft, but they are frozen in time because light has never been shed on them? Like a massive terracotta army waiting to be revealed and revived.

>>53630270

I don't think any class relies solely (heh) on light for game mechanics, but all PC's are subject to the limitations based on the illumination of the encounter. Obviously those with darkvision or those with sunlight sensitivity are at a adv/dis because of their character's features but yeah.
>>
>>53630619
Ask if they are fine with starting with no gear/self made gear. Hand wave spell ingredients and let them use alternatives they can actually find until they find a suitable focus
>>
>>53629480
Just let it happen? Don't let it get graphic, and if you let it happen, and then kill off the NPC, the PC is gonna want to avenge her lover.
>>
File: 1421355155449.jpg (65KB, 435x834px) Image search: [Google]
1421355155449.jpg
65KB, 435x834px
>>53630688

I can only imagine everyone's reaction haha, must have been epic! Clutch 20's that end adventures are literally what make D&D and long campaign's totally worth it. Glad you got to experience it.

I got 19-20-20 to confirm a crit/kill back in a 3e game that was hella tight It was on a disarm check too.
>>
>>53630619

Low-gear adventures are awesome imo, alwayus
>>
>Tomb of Annihilation is 1-11
acererak is a lil bitch
PotA remains GOAT
>>
>>53630619
Start them in the boat, then the storm hits, then the ship hits the rocks. Have them roll initiative, on initiative count twenty something happens to the ship, maybe a big wave crashes over the deck and they have to make a STR save or be pushed 20 feet, overboard if applicable. Maybe lightening strikes the ship and a fire breaks out on deck. If a player gets thrown overboard or drops to zero, they're dropped unconscious.
After 5 rounds the ship capsizes and you fade to black. Then all the players wake on the shore with whatever they had on them when they dropped or when the 'encounter' ended. Have a few things wash ashore with them that they didn't get a chance to grab, especially any crucial items, maybe a trunk with the paladin's armor, the wizard's soggy but legible spellbook (yay prestidigitation), etc.
Depending on the type of group or the island they crashed on, you may pull a >>53630729
and have them scavenge for supplies, some hardwood and shells from the beach for a Druidic Focus, some rigging for rope, etc.
Don't be afraid to start your guys off barebones, but don't fuck people out of the things the NEED either. Let the players be creative with what they have.
>>
File: The hot bod of strahd.jpg (55KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
The hot bod of strahd.jpg
55KB, 329x475px
Was there a PDF or guide out there that had ideas/fixes for CoS? I have some ideas since I'm about to run it, but people who've run it know what's shit in the module.

Specifically, how do you even deal with Ireena tagging along with the party and dropping her off afterwards?
>>
>>53630696

>>Literally a Swashbuckler
>>
>>53630688
>dorf
You all made the right choice.
>>
>>53630886
There's no archieve, but I remember giving a lot of advice here.
https://warosu.org/tg/thread/52258310#p52262949

If you want any more, I have more.
>>
>>53630908
>buckler
>shield
pick one
>>
>>53630981
Just in case you're lazy.

1) Read the whole module. Twice. Three times. Four times. As many times as it takes for you to make all the connections between the locations and characters, and there are lots of those.
2) There are a lot of subplots in the game, and your players will likely outlevel such things as Izek and lady Wachter before dealing with them.
That's not a reason for you to just have them easily killed and return to the main plot. No, you change their stats, you make them more threatening, you develop their subplots.
In my game, Strahd was driven to despair and rage by something the party did, so he revealed the secrets of the Amber Temple to Wachter, massively empowering her, and ordered her to raze Vallaki, so the party will lose all the people they care about in Barovia.
So Wachter staged a massive revolt - but instead of her shitty stats, she now was Warlock of the Fiend, and she gained Cult Fanatics, Priests, Veterans, Hellhounds, Bandit captains and Succubi as her minions. Something similiar happened to Izek.
3) Foreshadow EVERYTHING. Give the party cryptic hints of Barovia's secrets or strange visions.
Does your party have a paladin, a just and noble soul? In his dreams, he sees a handsome, but sad knight, who looks very much like him. Later, in some mansion, he finds an ancient portait of the man - but nobody can remember who is he and what is he famous for.
When the party rests in Vallaki, you tell one of the players he can't sleep - and while restless, he sees a strange purple light from burgomaster's attic. What's going on here?
4) Every faction needs a face, both allies and enemies, so players can love and hate them. When party contacts Keepers of the Feather, it's usually a young, green scout called Muriel Vinshaw. When party's attacked by werewolves, they're usually led by a cruel monster, Kiril Stoyanovich. When it's the druids, it's an old madman, Chernomor.
>>
>>53631016
5) Use Strahd. Use him in unexpected, unconventional ways. Strahd visits the party in disguise and gives them a quest! Does it lead into a trap? Maybe, but maybe it's legitimate. Why would Strahd give the party a quest? Maybe he needs them to venture outside of Barovia, so they'll bring something to him - maybe something he wants to use for an escape. The party doesn't need to know they've left his domain, by the way.
Or maybe he offers them an advice - seek out a wise old mentor, a vampire hunter van Richten, as only he knows Strahd's weakness. Then he spies on the party - they'll lead him to the hunter for sure.
6) Speaking of Strahd, whatever the cost, get the party into Castle Ravenloft early. Maybe Ireena/Ismark overestimate the party and underestimate Strahd, and encourage PCs to go there at the very beginning. Or maybe, Strahd's invitation is genuine, and he actually does have a sick, twisted dinner with them. Maybe there's an artifact there, and they need to steal it.
Show them Hall of Bones. Let them meet some of the antagonists, like Kiril or Arrigal, in a non-violent matter. Show them a preview of the endgame dungeon, show them they're vastly outside of their league, but then let them leave, so they can come back in the very end.
7) Whatever the cost, do the tarot card reading with them. Potentially it's one of the most memorable moments of the adventure. It does not mean, however, that you shouldn't stack the deck with places/allies you like.
8) It may be cheesey, but if your PCs like their allies, end the adventure with a feast, a party in Vallaki. Have all their living favourites be there. Give them a Force Ghost Anakin moment, with the party seeing a ghost of Sergei, smiling and giving him an approving nod.
>>
>>53626674
>dual flail NPC attacks
>party FightGyver gets out a 10 foot pole and sticks it in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyxS6WE2vc#t=1m23
>>
>>53631027
I would also add this - despite the fact that using DMPCs is usually frowned upon, I've had great success with it in my CoS game. I've let the group take a single NPCs with them if they want - most often Ireena, Viktor Vallakovich, Ezmerelda or Muriel Vinshaw, but the thing is, they've controlled them in combat. The players liked it.
>>
>>53630825
The dwarf thought it was over so he dropped the d20s in the dice tower with anger that we'd failed, and then he says "natural 20" and everyone shouted
Then once we calmed down he rolled the d100 and when he saw the 00, 0 he just calmly said "100, goodbye", simply stood up and walked away

We didn't even shout, we all just looked inside the dice tower to confirm in disbelief
>>
I have a character in my game whos character has become pretty monomaniacal about getting/creating a "abomination potion" something that wasn't in their backstory just kinda seemed to spring up about halfway through the campaign its been about 6 months of me leading her down a wild goose of total bullshit she still has no ingredients and is starting to get pretty mad

what do I do, is there a WotC item that does this kind of a thing?
best I can tell is its like a Mutated Transformation from wow or some weird ass Nurgle bullshit where being an abomination would serve her god.
>>
>>53631160
I've read your post about three times, and I still don't understand what is it about.
>>
Hey guys, a couple friends and I are about to start a campaign and so far I'm the only melee character. I've decided on a paladin, should I go with a one handed weapon and shield or a two handed weapon? If I do go with a shield should I take shield master or a more general utility eat like resilience con?
>>
>>53631160
>she wants to be TETSUOOOOOO
Time to embrace your inner body horror, Anon.
>>
>>53631200
Your weapon pick and feat picks are nowhere as important as your oath pick. As only melee character, you are going to get fucking swarmed by enemies, which is especially bad if your DM uses flanking rules. Your answer should be Oath of the Crown paladin, due to it's spiritual guardians spell.
>>
>>53631160
>>53631204
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVgqhPqHPa4#t=0m57
>>
File: 1353522173681.jpg (9KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
1353522173681.jpg
9KB, 399x399px
>>53631160
You should read this and apply it to everything a player wants to do (or hints about wanting to do).

http://angrydm.com/2013/04/adjudicate-actions-like-a-boss/

The guy says a lot of bullshit but this post in particular is golden. If you don't do what he says, bad things happen to your games.

Basically, you must always have a very clear idea of what a player is trying to do, how he's planning to do it, and what he's trying to accomplish. Do not proceed any further in your game unless you're 100% clear on these things.
>>
>>53631194
sorry i have a problem with that a lot, my poor players.

ok lets see if this makes more sense
shes playing Monstrous Adventurer snake person whatever idk what the race is but she will only play with us when she gets to be some off the wall character and shes my sister so I let her.
Shes playing an evil character in a party of good characters and wants to turn into an abomination that somehow pleases this evil god
She showed me soemthing in a book somewhere a while back I just cant find anything about a potion that does this
what the abomination would be stated like
what the ingredients for said potion would be or how fucked my campaign is going to be if I start letting her brew said potion.
Her characters have a nasty habit of dying every month or so and this character sounded kinda like a "dead in character creation" deal but its survived much longer than expected.

Im just looking for some advice or maybe some WotC items that could be similar so im not just totally bullshiting when I go to make up what this shit is.
I doubt its out there cause ive combed through all the books.
she used to like to play 3.5 a lot so idk if its a 3.5/pf thing
>>
File: Napoleon.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>53631330
>shes playing Monstrous Adventurer snake person whatever idk what the race is
You sure sound like an invested DM
>>
>>53631357
we started when volos was spoiled and there was a phoney pdf with a snake person race in it and when the book was printed it was mysteriously missing
literally have no idea what the race is called.
>>
>>53631380
Yuan-ti is in volos anon, its under the monsterous races section in the back of chapter 2
>>
File: Yuan-ti abomination.jpg (514KB, 860x906px) Image search: [Google]
Yuan-ti abomination.jpg
514KB, 860x906px
>>53631380
You mean, yuan-ti pureblood? That famous race that has abominations in it? Yuan-ti abominations are literally in the Monster Manual?
>>
>>53631397
>>53631405
thanks m8
that helps more than it should ahve..
>>
File: voloorcyuan.png (2MB, 743x1065px) Image search: [Google]
voloorcyuan.png
2MB, 743x1065px
>>53631380
She's this and wants to be that >>53631405
>>
>>53631411
I don't have my volo's on me rn but why would a pureblood want to become an abomination
>>
File: 1342639466306.jpg (68KB, 340x296px) Image search: [Google]
1342639466306.jpg
68KB, 340x296px
On the topic of Yaun-ti.

"Pureblood" sounds to me exactly what it sounds like. The purest of blood, the best.

Why the fuck are they the lowest of Yaun-Ti and the least pure snake people?
>>
>>53631397
>>53631405
>>53631420
that will teach me to run things things in books I dont own
no it wont
>>
>>53631426
It's because purebloods are the lowest caste of yuan-ti society, while abominations are the highest caste. Which is why purebloods only slightly resemble snakes, while abominations are snakes.
>>
>>53631438
You're on the internet. You can have anything you want.

>>53631432
There's a reason the Sarrukh fucked off. Their children were retards.
>>
>>53631432
It's non-ironically because yuan ti are so progressive, being not racemixed with snakes is a sign of low status.
>>
File: 1473272780891.jpg (27KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
1473272780891.jpg
27KB, 480x479px
>>53631463
>You're on the internet. You can have anything you want.
but... but thats stealing!
>>
>>53631432
Yuan-Ti Gods are all about corruption, being pure is not a good thing.
>>
>>53631441
Thats retarded, snake people are retarded
>>
>>53631473
>>53631432
Nah. Consider: this is a race so fucked up that "abomination" is their idea of "good". Something "pure" is therefore "bad".
>>
>>53631498
Stop being racist
>>
DMs how do you handle offering hirelings to your players?

Is the BG2/WRPG model of giving them a personality and a defining quest something that would steal the spotlight from the players?
>>
File: AMEN.jpg (133KB, 887x1094px) Image search: [Google]
AMEN.jpg
133KB, 887x1094px
Ok thanks for the several replies my dudes.

Today I learned that snake people are fucking retards who use backward ass terminology because I dunno they're fucking snakes.
>>
>>53631420
Here's the real question:
Why is the party walking around with an evil snake woman who wants to become a hideous monstrosity dedicated to Gods of all-consuming chaos and corruption?

I presume they are trying to do good shit or save the world and are not just a party of monstrous NPCs out to rape and pillage.
Do the other characters in the party know she's a horrifying monster who wants to drink demon blood and other disgusting shit so that she can go Reverse Little Mermaid and fuck young boys?
>>
>>53631498
>snake people are sexy
fixed for you
>>
>>53631221
Yea I was looking at the oaths but we're starting at level 1 so I guess I've got some time before I get to make that choice, we might be getting a fifth player who would play a fighter. Would that make a difference?
>>
>>53631523
This
I for one have no problem cucking if it means a snake girl (male) still will slither up my asshole
>>
>>53629596
Why not just use arcane trickster and refluff the invisible mage hand. maybe change up the spell schools to allow necromancy.
>>
>>53631525
>his parties don't feature a rotating cast of helper NPCs who pop in and drop out for a quest or two and bring their own unique brand of assistance which almost never factors into combat and instead provide advantage on a variety of checks for the party
Our Paladin married one of 'em. she was a particle accelerator
>>
>>53630178
The underdark
>>
Is the unearthed arcana not out yet? Is there a set time for when it comes out?
>>
>Complete rules for more than twenty new subclasses for fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons, including the cavalier, the inquisitive, the horizon walker, and many more.
Why did they choose the most boring subclasses?
>>
>>53631719
I'm gonna play the hell out of cavalier personally
>>
>>53631719
>Cavalier
>Not knight
JUST
>>
>>53631719
>the horizon walker
the most boring subclasses?
you shut your whore mouth!
also
>tfw they didn't include the arcane frisbee thrower subclass
damn when is wizards going to include some interesting stuff in this game???
>>
File: chevrolet-cavalier-car.jpg (80KB, 1042x792px) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet-cavalier-car.jpg
80KB, 1042x792px
>>53631763
>>53631767
EPIC MOUNT
>>
>>53631770
But Sun Soul's in SCAG
>>
>>53631770
I think all subclasses in the revised subclasses UA will be in the book
>>
File: progamers.png (873KB, 822x696px) Image search: [Google]
progamers.png
873KB, 822x696px
>>53628257
I saw these pro gamers on Stream of Annihilation and they were seriously expert level gamers.

What are some good ways to get to a professional level of D&D like them?
>>
>>53631802
I hate women too.
>>
>Normally it's the DM's gf you have to worry about
>This times it's the DM's sister

potentially she's both

Jesus dude have a little higher standard for your own flesh and blood. Just because they're family doesn't mean they should get special treatment in this situation.
>>
>>53631719
So what else do we know is most probably going to be in the book? I'm guessing; Path of the Ancestral Guardian, College of Swords, Kensei and Favoured Soul will be because they've been revised at some point. Maybe Deep Stalker too because that was added to the revised ranger
>>
>>53631802
>What are some good ways to get to a professional level of D&D like them?
actually read the books and stop laughing at every shit tier meme one of the idiots at your table spouts
Ive been dming every sunday for 4 years and I literally cant stop being shit at every aspect of it
I think if most dm's really took a good hard look in the mirror they would come to the same conclusion I did.
that being that 99% of us are far from professional in the way we handle our campaigns
>>
>>53631831
You cannot understand the allure of a kawaii imouto if you've only ever had bitches.
>>
>>53631838
Oh, and arcane archer
>>
>>53628603
As I have told you in the last thread, fuck off to pathfinder general and take your edgy shit with you.
>>
File: June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1[1].pdf (118KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1[1].pdf
118KB, 1x1px
>this has already been out for 30 mins and no one posted it
shame
>>
>>53631862
>and take your edgy shit with you
>makes fun of people being edgy
>cusses in the same sentence
whoa there buddy
>>
>>53631905
I hope it's good
>>
>>53631905
>celestial warlock
im sorry, what?
>>
>>53631905
>why dont we just take the knight subclass and make it a battle-master
Seems lazy as fuck to me.
>>
>>53631905
>Positive Plane Warlock is now just a generic Good Upper Plane Warlock
Gay. The fact that the Positive Plane is as alien as GOO shit and most likely as indifferent to human life and suffering as the Fey is what made them a good fit for the fluff of the class despite their "Good" power set.

A Celestial Warlock is just a watered-down Cleric. "I wanna be a shit Paladin but with Eldritch Blast."
>>
File: 1469883462926.jpg (38KB, 611x857px) Image search: [Google]
1469883462926.jpg
38KB, 611x857px
>>53631831
>the game is normal, but real life is the magical realm
>>
>>53631767
It was to prevent newbies from thinking they NEEDED that subclass to play a knight, perhaps
>>
>>53631945
this
warlocks went from
>hey let me take part of your soul in exchange for power
to
>hey I found a battery floating through space im sure it wont mind if I tap it for power k thnx bi
>>
>>53631991
>>53631905
AHAHAHAHAHA, this is even better
>>
>>53631983
>hey i'll give you amazing power in exchange for service
>sounds cool, you won't have me do anything bad, will you?
>nope i'm legitimately a good guy, all our interests align, i appreciate you and value your happiness as a living mortal
>ok neat there's literally zero downside to this
>>
>>53631905
Unicorn spirit seems pretty nice
>Bonus action healing word
>Heal everyone in a 30 foot radius
>>
>>53631991
Holy fuck, this is bullshit. I was looking forward to playing Knight, but I'd rather not play Battlemaster 2 electric boogaloo.
>>
>>53631991
>>53632007
You two do realize that this is an update of the already-extant Cavalier archetype and not a rework or necessarily a replacement of Knight, right? They just happen to share the same level 3 feature, but even the old Cavalier had that.
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Fighter,Cavalier%20(UA)
>>
>>53631905
I wish warlocks didn't have invocation tax to work. Charisma on eldritch blast may as well be a class feature, and it makes it even harder to take the "cool shit" rp invocations. Even more so with bladelocks who can only justify their build choice by dumping like 3 invocations on it to make it just semi-functional
>>
>>53632008
>>ok neat there's literally zero downside to this
this is really fucking dumb
had a hard enough time convincing people that you cant be a warlock of a fey pact in the feywild if you are just going to be a cleric for a known fey anyway
>>
>>53631831
>>53631853
I would sure as fuck fudge rolls if I GMed for my sister, just to avoid the passive-aggressive bitching at the end of the session if her character gets knocked unconscious or something
>>
>>53632062
It would be nice to have something similar to what mystics have/used to have. Minor and major invocations. You get X of each. Major are generally combat ones with big changes. Minor are normally ribbons and rp things
>>
>>53632043
>WotC still can't come to grips with having fucked up by making martial maneuvers an archetype feature instead of a basic part of the class
This is what happens when you listen to the 3E grogs.
>>
File: Cavalier knight.png (609KB, 1380x953px) Image search: [Google]
Cavalier knight.png
609KB, 1380x953px
Wakey-wakey, martialcucks, how did you like the new arcana?
>>
>>53631941
Pretty disappointed, I was looking foward for a "tank" subclass, as the cavalier had the mark ability, now it's pretty uninspired piece of shit
>>
>>53631991
>>53632111
Why are you trying to make this a thing?
>>
>>53632162
Because you're not getting any good shit in the new splat, and I better prepare you for that. Hope you like superiority dice!
>>
>>53631802
Your irrational hatred of women is only made more hilarious by the fact you do not believe improving at DnD is possible.
>>
>>53631909
>uses the word cuss
>thinks cursing is edgy

Hey hey hey there, my WASP.
>>
Can any kind anon point out all the changes to the revised classes?
>>
>>53632178
You sound like an autist who takes D&D too seriously
>>
>>53631905
These invocations look like a complete replacement for what came before, since there are carbon copies, and things like "Eldritch Smite" being a perceived replacement for the smite weapons.
Looks like all the whining about smites not working for 1h weapons for Hexblade turned into smites being bad for everyone.
>>
File: BECAUSE U R.png (2MB, 895x3747px) Image search: [Google]
BECAUSE U R.png
2MB, 895x3747px
>>53632179
>Your irrational hatred of women
>wanting this anywhere near your game of adult make believe
also
>professional
i mean lets be real here
this is a great opportunity, I am genuinely jealous and that influences my opinion of that image for sure
do they have a podcast
is there a way I can verify if they are ultra shitty before just assuming so?
>>
>>53632205
Undying Light gained five more spells, lost its pop-up-from-death ability, and gained pseudo-Lay on Hands.

Conquerer's single-target Frighten is now an AoE like Long Death Monk, and their aura instead roots Frightened enemies and damages them rather than giving them disadvantage on Frightened checks. Immunity to Charm was replaced with "melee attackers take Cha damage". Two of their spells also got changed (-Blight +Stoneskin, -Cloudkill +Insect Plague).
>>
>>53632196
>Hey hey hey there, my WASP.
>tfw germanic
WGP doesnt have as nice of a ring to it
>>
>Shepherd incentivize summons, which slow down combat
>Cavalier is literraly a worse battlemaster
>Celestial Warlocks have stupid flavor
disappointed 2bh
>>
>>53632258
shut up retard
>>
>>53632268
That's nice, I guess. What about the druid?
>>
>>53632283
Doesn't matter because no one's going to allow Summon Spammer.
>>
Wait, the celestial warlock is a replacement to undying light?
>>
>>53632275
>sh..shut up retard
>>
File: angelsummonerandbmxbandit.png (278KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
angelsummonerandbmxbandit.png
278KB, 800x450px
>Beast Shepherder and the BMX Battlemaster
>>
>>53632298
You're just going to keep posting your tired arguments and memes ad nauseam nommater what and you know it. There's no point in anyone engaging you beyond that level
>>
>>53632296
It's literally the same thing but even better
>>
>Kiss of Mephistopheles and Grasp of Hdar are not tied to patrons anymore
wow
>>
>>53631939
Time to play an aasimar.
>>
>>53632298
cram it dipshit
>>
>>53632324
I just didn't like the flavor change. I mean, there's nothing preventing you from refluffing a bit, but now GMs who didn't see the original UA are going to think "MY PATRON IS THE PLANE OF POSITIVE ENERGY ITSELF" is some special snowflake bullshit
>>
They nerfed warlock's smite though, I don't like this
>>
I like the fluff change, because non-specific patrons always got on my nerves. Cavalier, however, is complete bullshit. Why does Mearls hate fighters so much?
>>
File: dinoriders.jpg (326KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dinoriders.jpg
326KB, 1024x768px
>>53632309
>o/'' Beast Shepherderrrr
>and BMX Battlemaster
>one can summon dinosaurs
>the other riiides a stupid horse o/''

>Okay, Beast Shepherder. The cultists are holding a sacrifice in that dank cave, but I've got a plan.
>Okay, BMX Battlemaster, let's hear it.
>I ride in through that old mineshaft on my horse, and kick up a bunch of mud into their faces with its rear legs. While they're distracted, I'll make some disarm attacks on their crossbows. Then you go in and untie the girl.
>Right. Or I could just summon a horde of velociraptors to sort it out.
>But then how would I be using my horse?
>Well, you wouldn't need to. The dinos would sort of take care of it.
>Oh, okay. We could to that if you want.
>NATURE'S HORDES COME FORTH

>Okay, that's the boat with the pit fiend ichor on board. I'll ride to the end of the pier on my horse and leap on board, surprising the burly henchmen. Then I'll rear up and hoof them all overboard and you can come in and grab the cult leader.
>Yeah, yeah, sounds good. Or we could use the raptors again. I could summon them, no problem.
>Yeah, all right. Call the dinosaurs or whatever.
>Shall we?
>Fine, do it.
>Right. You don't seem at all happy.
>Well, we're supposed to be a partnership, but to be honest, I'm starting to feel a little overshadowed. I think the thing is, your ability to summon a horde of ghostly superbeasts is making my equestrian skills look a bit redundant.
>Well, at the end of the day, it's all about results.
>Well, yeah, but... I'm quite good on my horse.
>Tell you what. We'll use the velociraptors this time, but the next crisis we'll solve with horse-based tactics.
>Yeah, okay. Go on, summon them.
>NATURE'S HORDES COME FORTH
>>
File: bright burger.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bright burger.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>53628649
Big deal. Even with a cliched background, the execution can make it irrelevant. Besides that is in the past (hence backstory), and where the player goes with it is what matters.
>>
>>53632321
>if you are skeptical of a group of attractive mid twenties women being involved in dungeons and fucking dragons theres no point in engaging with you anymore
>>
>>53632499
Back to /r9k/. Not even /pol/ hates women this much.
>>
>>53632499
Glad this talk worked out so well in the end
>>
>>53631905
So basically Hexblade isn't a thing anymore, okay fuck you too WotC
>>
>>53632546
>>53632533
We need to go on a quest to free Anon from his women-hating geas. What devil lord do you think is responsible for his madness? I'll bet he was a Paladin of Sune before succumbing to such dark power; fiendish powers delight in ironic corruption.
>>
>>53631905
>Celestial warlock is a pretty dope healer.
>Shepperd druid is the best summoner.
>Conquest paladin is a fucking melee monster best used to deal with smallfries and delivering 100% accurate max level smites.
>>
>>53632258
They range from meh to shit, they were on the second day of stream of annihilation. Group is called Girls Guts Glory if you want to look them them up they are doing a show from what I've heard, like CR.
>>
>>53628413
Did Force Grey play, I see their interview up but I don't remember them playing.

Girl Guts and Glory are pretty cringe spare the dorf. Mercer DMing them made it much better. It looks like they're shopping around other formats so if their prerecoded shows get better because they switch tonlive, awesome.

Dylan was a really good DM.

Has Lillard been in other streams before? He was a little cringe but in the final MA game that wasn't even noticeable in the crap tsunami the DM kicked up.

>>53628436
This, exactly, holy fuck.
"CANCEL THE BOOKS, CANCEL THE BOOKS!" He yelled as he awkwardly railroaded his team away from doing anything worthwhile, shuttling them back to their bland boat fights and sending off a character without her say.

The Grung group would have been better with a different party. Instead it was like watching the "Tumblr Team" play.

The Aussies went from "the fuck are these guys doing?" To "holy fuck these guys are awesome" probably somewhere around Unionizing the Dinosaurs.
>>
>>53632605
>Maddening Hex

Prerequisite: 5th level
As a bonus action, you cause a psychic
disturbance around the target cursed by your
hex spell or by a warlock feature of yours, such
as Hexblade’s Curse and Sign of Ill Omen. When
you do so, you deal psychic damage to the target
and each creature of your choice within 5 feet of
it. The psychic damage equals your Charisma
modifier (minimum of 0 damage).

It's till a thing
>>
>>53629058
It's ok, you've still got cocks you can suck. Unless you're also an ugly faggot and therefore have no one.
>>
>Ghostly Gaze, 7th level
>Action to see through objects
>Ends on the same turn

How useless.
>>
>>53632668
I'm more speaking about how they have nerfed it without expanding upon the Hexblade itself. Now with the dice nerf they gutted all reason to use Cursebringer and once again continue to push the warlock is only good for multiclassing. Hexblade was actually strong and worth staying a full warlock, now it's better to just go paladin/lock for a way bigger payoff.
>>
>>53632708
>X-ray vision
>Makes the distinction of objects which could be clothes but not s person

I can already see neckbeards using every 7th level they have in town wanting the DM to describe what they see.
>>
>>53632499
I'm probably biting the bait here but whatever. I'm a reasonably attractive woman in my early 20s and I DM for two large-ish groups of attractive women of various ages (from 19 to 43). With the stigma on geek culture fading it's actually pretty easy to get people into it or find people who already have an interest.
>>
If a Paladin could get Archery fighting style and Smite with a bow, would that break anything?
>>
>>53632743
But now you can smite with a SAD Sword & Board Warlock, and pact weapon is a spell focus now
>>
>Lock smite could deal 10d8 damage to a single target
>People cry it was too strong
>You can still "smite" with EB + fireball for at least 8d8 AoE damage
Why they hate martials so much?
>>
>>53631027
>>53631016
>>53630981
>>53631071
This has been great stuff. I appreciate it.
You're all helping me figure out what kind of wrenches to throw into the player's plan. I had an idea to have him appear in the middle of whatever road they're traveling, challenging one to a game of chess. It'll involve a skill challenge where probably the party fights monsters while the game is going on, but also gives them a chance to cheat their way to win. Just a way to mess with them, maybe even giving them a boon if they win
>>
>>53632760
Just my heart.
>once-noble Paladins doing something as dishonorable as attacking enemies who can't strike back from range
>>
>>53632767
And only as a SAD-lock, for less damage per slot and no more bow or 2 hander burst. You become a shitty paladin as a CHA lock and should just EB now with the updated stats. They seriously destroyed it.
>>
>>53632760
Absolutely, yes. Paladin is one of the strongest classes in the game, and there's a reason it doesn't get ranged smite.
>>
>>53632751
y no guys in your group?
>>
>>53631802
Hapa on the left is a Babe, Indian/Paki/Latina/Whatever second from the right is their next player.

The DM is cringe, they edit poorly, they adventure poorly, they joke poorly. Still better than at least half the groups I see on Twitch. Problem is they don't stream, which they're much better at than their prerecorded current format.

Also they come off as enjoying being paid to play D&D more than they enjoy playing it.
>>
>>53632796
Lol now you can only do 5d8 for one of your 2 fucking slots. They must fucking despise warlocks
>>
>>53632816
>for less damage per slot
Both warlock and paladin smites deal the same damage

>and no more bow
This was only for fey, hexblades couldn't use this, and why would you use a bow? If you want to be ranged there is already EB

>or 2 hander burst.
Hexblade wasn't released yet, they can still make 2h with charisma possible, as this was a major complaint
>>
What is the max amount of cantrips i can get on a level 5 character? I wanna make a woman of many cantrips but not sure which class/multi I should take
>>
>>53632751
assuming this is true, and why would anyone lie on the internet right?, its still more than likely either eye candy or quota hiring.
its going to get more clicks and views just because they are women and its going to be held to a lower standard for the same reason. you dont need to a 16 year old boy watching felicia day videos to understand this.
>>
>>53632216
It's the same smite math as paladin.
>>
>>53628730
Today fag
>>
>>53632858
It's actually 6d8
>>
>>53632268
>lost its pop-up-from-death ability
It just changed level anon.
>>53632398
Flavor is flexible anon. You can use the old flavor with new mechanics.
>>
First time DM on Roll20, I was gonna make maps to help me out and then I realized you need to pay to use Tiamat. What a rip.

Are there any similar websites for making dungeon maps?
>>
>>53632751
An ugly 19 year old is hotter than a hot 43 year old.

Post proof that you're reasonably attractive if your argument hinges on that piece of identity.
>>
>>53632868
>Why would you want more options
Paladins bring more slots, utility and stats to far outclass anything Hexblade related now. If they released the updated Hexblade rulings along with this, sure fine. But now we have to wait until the end of the year to get what they plan to do with it.
>>
>>53632643
>Like CR

Well...it certainly is recorded...and has people in it.

Sort of like Saving Private Ryan or Interstellar, practically the same show.
>>
File: euphoric.jpg (58KB, 600x668px) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.jpg
58KB, 600x668px
>>53632925
>>
>>53630619

The way I started my campaign was the players were on a ship that survived a pirate attack, but the ship now has a broken main mast and no way of propulsion. The ship eventually drifts towards an island and is an option for the players to use as a base to retreat to.
>>
>>53632883
>That you can do twice
Well guess I'm shelving any ideas I had for bladelock again and just rolling a paladin.
>>
>>53632871
There's a lot wrong with this statement.
Paladin is 2d8+1d8 per level, not 1d8+1d8 per level, and Paladin gets a ton more slots, so it should never be 'even' let alone less.
>>
I'm probably going to allow the patron-specific weapons with the new damage math because I loved those extra rider effects, and I liked the GOO weapon being a good 1 hander with reach and the Archfey weapon being a bow.
>>53632974
Paladin math is 2d8 plus 1d8 per level above 1, which is the same as 1d8+1d8 per level.
>>
>>53632837
I just don't have a lot of guy friends anymore.

>>53632870
We don't stream or anything like that. It's not something we do for attention, we do it because we have fun and want to get together regularly and play. A lot of them really get into the roleplaying and honestly they're the best players I've ever had.
>>
>>53632974
>Paladin gets a ton more slots
Warlock just needs to take more short rests, like the game is balanced for.
>>
>>53630619
No, I apparently crashed a double airship, separated everyone due to the crash and 'indirectly' rewarded them for surviving the fight leading up to that by scattering the goods around the players and corpses. Thinking about giving them the benefit of a short rest because one of them ate a bad crit and the other actually used frenzy.
>>
For an upcoming oneshot we've been allowed to make characters with magic items. As a fiend pact bladelock, what's the best sword (up to very rare)? I've been looking at sharpness and flame tongue.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf
>>
Warlocks should get the third slot at level 7 and use the spell points variant rule desu
>>
>>53633029
>>53632925
Forgot to tag you
>>
>>53633048
Yes. We know.
>>
For a lighthearted session I want to introduce a group of stupid wanna-be-knights who just fuck things up instead of helping.
For instance, they kidnapped the sister of one of the PCs, but it was during an orc attack, to keep her safe. The orc raid is long over, but they think the city has fallen and are plotting a counterattack.

Do you have any ideas or sources of inspiration? Any advice to make this work?
>>
>>53632751
That's bullshit, but I believe it. Solely based on the fact that an (attractive) girl close to me is one of the biggest nerds I've ever known and so are most of her (also attractive) friends.
>>
>>53632946
I'd say it's sort of Saving Private Ryan and Commando. Sort of the same, as in they are using the same system, but one is definitely better than the other.
>>
>>53633074
Yes, anon. I have something just for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVs7QIRYsrc
>>
>>53633056
We houserule they get one more base. Hasn't broken anything and our player can actually have a good time.
>>
>>53632946
As in live stream you fucking twat waffle
>>
>>53633029
>We don't stream or anything like that. It's not something we do for attention
thats cool but its also completely irrelevant to what we were talking about.
>>
>>53633141
What are we even talking about?
>>
>>53633150
>>53631802
>>
>>53633171
We got derailed by one idiots shitty post, why am I not surprised
>>
>>53633135
Thanks anon that's totally helpful!
>>
>>53633113
Yeah it's really not surprising. My mom and dad had a huge comic collection when I was growing up so my sister and I have always been into 'nerd' stuff. Comics, video games, board games, etc.

>>53633141
I was replying more specifically to the point about being "skeptical of a group of attractive mid twenties women being involved in dungeons and fucking dragons." Admittedly I sort of dived into the end of the thread without following it back to its origin. My bad
>>
>>53633207
You asked.
>>
>>53632611
Not even the guy you're insulting but the cringe is real.
>>
File: short rest.gif (2MB, 475x277px) Image search: [Google]
short rest.gif
2MB, 475x277px
Players never short rest in our game, if they can rest 1 hour, they can usually also rest 8
I can't remember the last time they rolled for Hit Die in my game

I'm thinking of making short rests 5-10 minutes
It still can't be done in imminent danger, but it can be done in between scenes, which I feel is the intention of short rests anyway

Would it break the game?
>>
>>53633242
Player should get 2 short rests a day, so if they get this number with your house rule, then it's totally okay
>>
>>53633242
Nah, my players occasionally short rest when going through dungeons or when they generally are getting their asses kicked, but the time factor only really comes into play if they are trying to rush to do something, like get out of the dungeon before it gets too dark out, or rescue someone before they die. Also remember long rests are only once per 24 hours, so if you really start tracking time a lot they will take long rests less.
>>
>>53633242
Nah, dude. Just keep in mind the game is balanced for like 2 short rests in an adventuring day.
If the party starts taking a ton of short rests (sounds unlikely about your group), you may want to make it longer.
>>
>>53633242
Not really, but it would severely shorten your monsters' "response time". So, if there's a goblin scout returning, he'd have to come back during those 5-10 minutes in order to get shit to happen and it could start to feel very deus ex machina if it happens more than a couple of times.

Leave short rests as is and start throwing shit at your players whenever they decided "NOPE THE DAY IS DONE LET'S LONG REST EVEN IF IT'S CURRENTLY NOON"
>>
Is the warlock smite supposed to work only with pact magic slots? I hope it is
>>
RAW, can a bag of holding hold ~ANYTHING~ or only what can fit inside of it? And to follow that, how big is a typical (i.e. uncommon) bag of holding?

I know the DMG art makes it look like a messenger bag, but others have described it as one of those small Crown Royal pouches or even a humble gunny sack, and some say that it's a rigid shape that can only hold what fits in its mouth but others will make them elastic so they can truly hold anything.
>>
>>53633304
No.
>>
>>53633310
I mean, whatever your DM says it is. I always go for the elasticity, so that the players can stuff it full of crap. Encumbrance rules are a pain in the ass for everyone.
>>
>>53633304
>>53633336
Does it need 5 levels of warlock or just character lvl 5 and pact of the blade?
>>
>>53633304
No, and because of it they remain the multiclass dip class. They aren't allowed to have good things that are exclusive.
>>
>>53633355
>Does it need 5 levels of warlock
Of course it does
>>
>>53633242
You can only benefit from a long rest once per day, so I hope you're not long resting more often that that.
>>
>>53633310
It does have a weight and upper volume limit. Since it has a volume limit, surely it must have a shape of available space?

I'd imagine the shape to be different for each bag.
>Wizard makes a bag of holding which has inner dimensions of 1*1*64.
>>
>>53633362
EB should have benn a class feature, and they should say pact is totally not normal spell slots
>>
How would one go about making a classless mod of 5e? Would you separate class features into open feats or chains? Can spell progression be removed in favor of feats like Magic Initiate? Should it?

I'm trying to come up with something simple I can use for a game in which the PCs are teenagers that have picked up a couple tricks, rather than professional adventurers with specialized classes
>>
>>53633374
We don't, but usually what happens is the fight ends and the Druid spends all his low level slots on Cure Wounds to recover a few HP here and there instead of just having PCs take a short rest to spend Hit Die as intended
>>
File: lmao.gif (1MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.gif
1MB, 250x188px
>>53633030
>implying any party will take the 2-short rests per day that class balance is dependent upon when they're an hour long
Reminder: the norm is zero short rests, one if you're lucky.
>>
Having two different sources of resource recovery was a mistake, if I had to rework 5e I'm 100% sure I would remove short rests
>>
>>53633386
Go video game RPG style and turn various class features into skill trees and give your players points they can invest into them.
>>
>>53633425
My party takes short rests all the time, twice a day.
>>
>>53633425
Two shorts are normal in every game I have played in, DMed for, or spectated.
>>
File: 1308569079040.jpg (34KB, 146x175px) Image search: [Google]
1308569079040.jpg
34KB, 146x175px
Characters with GWM, Sharpshooter and Polearm Master do absurdly higher damage than other martials, would you fix this in your game?
At first I thought I'd just ban the three feats (I already ban Lucky) but maybe that's the wrong approach

Do you just leave them be and have one character deal 50 damage per turn while everyone else does 25?
>>
File: Fireball.jpg (67KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
Fireball.jpg
67KB, 600x452px
Hypothetically, if I'm an Undying Light warlock, I add my Charisma to all damage dealt by Fire and Radiant Spells.

If I happen to be able to cast Ray of Fire, does the bonus damage from charisma apply to each ray, or is it divided among them?
>>
>>53633137
They're not a live stream dick zit. They prerecord and air after editing.
>>
>>53633405
>Druid spends all his low level slots on Cure Wounds to recover a few HP here and there

That poor druid has to use all his slots in an inefficient way and also doesn't get to wildshape as much as he should. Such suffering.
>>
>>53633515
I have creatures with more than 10 AC so I haven't noticed GWM breaking anything.
>>
>>53633515
I let them but then I don't really adhere to bounded accuracy, the enemies I throw at the party frequently have crazy AC.
>>
>>53633515
They are mostly a problem in lower levels against lower AC enemies.

I tweaked them so that they work off of Proficiency instead. So, instead of -5 to hit +10 to damage, they are -proficiency +doubleproficiency to damage.

This allows the feat to scale and keeps it in line with the intent (harder to hit, but hits harder).

After a while, players flat out negate the -5 to hit with just their prof bonus, and are just rolling with either a +1 or +3 or whatever.
>>
>>53633515
>He doens't ban feats, multiclass and UA
It's your fault
>>
>>53633550
Melee can easily gain advantage all the time to make it hit
For example Barbs who go Reckless on every hit, and don't care about getting hit back because Rage gives them Resistance to everything

And archers get an absurdly high +attack so they can afford sharpshooter too.
>>
>>53633515
Sperging about damage tends to make the game less fun. Just let that shit ride. Classes are more than just a vehicle to do damage.
>>
>>53633453
>>53633460
I've seen this happen zero times across every game I've played, DMed for, or spectated.
It literally does not happen.
>>
>>53633581
You must really hate martials.
>>
>>53633589
And advantage only occasionally factors out to be equal to the penalty of GWM, so you're left with basically the same chance to hit as before. So if you're not fucking babying your players with a handful of tissue paper monsters or one big fucker who was doomed anyway thanks to action economy, what does it matter?
>>
I'm having a hard time with my current campaign. I'm not getting into the character and I don't like how my build has ended up, I feel no connection to the story, either myself or in character, I am constantly holding myself back from arguing with the other players and its no longer fun to play the game.

I've thought about rerolling a new character or something but this wont fix all the problems... should I just leave, even if it means I wont get to play any D&D at all?
>>
>>53633515
>Do you just leave them be and have one character deal 50 damage per turn while everyone else does 25?
yes, because those guys that didnt take those feats? They can do stuff other than HIT THING. Think about it, you are essentially complaining that martials can martial. The only martials i can think of that would not want to take one of those three feats are either sword and boards, in which they chose to do less damage in favor of higher defense, TWFers because they favor "cool" over optimization, and melee rogues, who have a host of skills and abilities to function outside of "swing stick at monster"
>>
>>53633681
>even if it means I wont get to play any D&D at all
That's pretty harsh.
>>
>>53633681
have you considered trying to actually identify the problem and work on it like an adult?
>>
>>53633695
>sword and boards
Quarterstaff and board makes it a non-thing for anyone paying attention though, that's the problem.
Polearm master makes all of the game's one handed weapons except the quarterstaff irrelevant. It even negates dual wielding, it makes no sense.
>>
>>53633187
>>>/Reddit/
>>
>>53633714
How so? There aren't any other people to play with except for randos online
>>
File: cringe.jpg (189KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
189KB, 720x960px
>>53633302
>/5eg/ i am experiencing the commonly encountered problem of short rests being unreasonably long by default, should i change the rules to better suit my party?

>no don't change the rules, just punish your party, kill them all with a night ambush
>you can't give up your ability to punish them for resting when they're already heavily incentivized to not rest at all
>>
>>53633736
this may be hard for you and your autism to deal with, but sometimes people want to play a sword guy, and not a stick guy, even if it's not optimal.
>>
What does /5eg/ think of people who make characters who are literally them or all of their characters have the same opinions on all things?
>>
>>53633768
The problem is when one guy in the party is playing the sword guy and the other guy in the party is playing the stick guy, and although there shouldn't be much of a difference between them, the stick guy does twice as much damage as the sword guy.
>>
>>53633765
>how to misinterpret and misrepresent advice

the true /tg/ special
>>
>>53633789
That's me.
>>
>>53633789
Literally everyone's first character?
>>
>>53633817
Well than anon, what do you think of yourself?
>>
>>53633836
but my first character was s silent edgelord
>>
>>53633847
Someone has to solve all the puzzles, piece the clues together, and foil the obvious traps, and it's not like the guy playing the high Int Wizard or the Rogue is going to.
>>
>>53631719
>more than twenty new subclasses
>and many more.
Those are just a few examples anon.
>>
>>53633731
I have identified the problems, in fact I listed them. The solution to the story/character problems is a new character. The solution to the group problem is to talk to them, but that hasn't worked so far.
>>
>>53633836
My first character was a drow rogue, I'm not black or sneaky
>>
>>53633789
>What does /5eg/ think of people who make characters who are literally them or all of their characters have the same opinions on all things?
Are they having fun?

>>53633791
>The problem is when one guy in the party is playing the sword guy and the other guy in the party is playing the stick guy, and although there shouldn't be much of a difference between them, the stick guy does twice as much damage as the sword guy.
It's not a problem if you aren't autistic. I've been in games where I am a fighter sword and boarding, with another fighter sharpshooting. Never stepped on each other's toes. I've been in a game with GW fighter and TWF Fighter, never stepped on each other's toes.

Two S&B fighters, one with polearm master and one without? That guy without either has higher stats (+1 to hit and dam, or maybe +1 AC, or +X HP), or they took another feat, maybe they nabbed some battle master maneuvers, or grabbed a spell, have a higher perception, or X, or Y, or Z...
>>
>>53633802
Your argument against making short rests shorter is that it makes it less likely that the rest will cause problems for them.
Your suggestion is to punish them for taking a long rest, though I do seem to have misrepresented that you think parties take long rests in the middle of the day. Which they don't. They just skip taking short rests and rely on healing spells.
>>
>>53633889
I guess, but it would be more interesting if they changed up their fun every so often
>>
>>53631905
>Sheperd
Stop trying to make summoner happen, please.

>Cavalier
Battlemaster 2: Electric Boringloo

>Paladin
Cool, Lawful Stupid Paladin, either good or evil, I like it.

>Warlock
Cool, although that many d6 is too much.

>Invocations
Great, but I wish they'd rework the invocation system as a whole, I'll never pick Aspect of the Moon over Agonising Blast.
>>
>>53633915
The invocation and smite nerf just relegate all warlocks back to EB turrets. I'm very disappointed with them.
>>
>>53633902
No, that's not even close to what I'm saying. You should read further than just whatever word triggered you.

If you don't see something wrong with a group calling it quits after doing something and just going 'welp let's long rest now see ya' and it's barely after breakfast, then I know exactly why you are so butthurt.
>>
>>53633887
you haven't really listed any problems, just how you feel about the problems.

>I'm not getting into the character and I don't like how my build has ended up,
Why not?

>I feel no connection to the story, either myself or in character,
Why noy?

>I am constantly holding myself back from arguing with the other players and its no longer fun to play the game.
Why so argumentative? What's keeping you from having fun?
>>
>>53633959
well, i dont know how your group is, but when my group short rests, it involves first finding a place that they can defend in case they get interrupted. Then using resources to ensure that they don't get interrupted in the first place. We don't just all sit down on the floor in the middle of the dungeon and jack each other off.
>>
Making an archery bard. Should I go Valor for extra attack, or Lore for extra ranger spells and cutting words?
>>
>>53634005
>Making an archery bard
>should I make it built around archery or spells
hmm idk
>>
For a lvl 15 character, what's a nice way to make an OP cross(bow) man.
>>
>>53634043
to be fair, anon, it's implied that they would be archery-based spells.
>>
>>53634053
Wakey-wakey!
>>
>Kiss of Mephistopheles
They're still using the Fiend name, and somehow Warlocks can cast Fireballs out of their Eldritch Blasts even when they can't cast fireballs.
>>
>>53633960
I tried something new with my character and his build, and it turns out I don't enjoy either. Seems like I should stick to spellcasters.

I don't feel connected to the story because I've had to miss a couple of games and the recap I got was godawful. My character has no attachment because he has no reason to care, he doesn't go out of his way to help strangers.

The arguments are over one player that complains when we get sidetracked for the smallest thing, but he does it in character so it's "ok". Every single one of his characters has done this, and it's tiring and feels like it forces the story to be about him. I've pointed it out and got told to stop complaining about this because it's just the character is in a hurry and therefore it's not a problem.
>>
>>53634005
Valor bards get extra spells too, just not until level 10, and the ranger spell you'd actually want for archery isn't available to a bard until level 10 anyway.
>>
>>53628357
NPC's heart belongs to someone else.

He has really conflicted feelings about it, but genuinely loves the other woman and his resolve weakens when the time comes.

He has kept it a secret because loving one such as he would cause complications, but now that she's in danger, he is willing to do anything to convince the NPC's to save her, even give up his hand in marriage to the pc courting him
>>
>>53633789
That they're playing something that they're comfortable with and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>53634083
>I tried something new with my character and his build, and it turns out I don't enjoy either. Seems like I should stick to spellcasters.
Hey, some people like martials, some like casters, that's no biggie.

>I don't feel connected to the story because I've had to miss a couple of games and the recap I got was godawful. My character has no attachment because he has no reason to care, he doesn't go out of his way to help strangers.
You control your character, you decide whether he cares or not. And if you decide your character doesn't care, they leave. Had it happen plenty of times. It's not a big deal.

>The arguments are over one player that complains when we get sidetracked for the smallest thing, but he does it in character so it's "ok". Every single one of his characters has done this, and it's tiring and feels like it forces the story to be about him. I've pointed it out and got told to stop complaining about this because it's just the character is in a hurry and therefore it's not a problem.
Have your character tell his character to stop being a fucking puss.
>>
>>53628608
War Caster for Booming Blade of Opportunity
>>
>>53633524
It only applies on the first ray that hits.
>>
>>53633442
How many points would you give them during character creation? I'm sorta scared they might try to just remake a class using features and end up with too few points, especially if I make increasing hd part of the options. I'm pretty sure a Barbarian would end up more expensive than anything else
>>
>>53634856
The best way is to go into a sort of system like Mass Effect Andromeda uses. Where you have 3 different sets of skills (in that case it was Combat, Tech, and Biotics) and then multiple trees in each category and some trees are only unlocked by spending more points in that category, and some skills in trees are locked by level.The categories I"d break it into for D&D are Martial Ability, Magic Affinity, Utility.

For Hit Dice, give everyone a D8.

Here are some examples for each category
Weapon Proficiency
1 point - gain proficiency with simple weapons
2 points - gain proficiency with ranged weapons and shields
3 point - gain proficiency with martial weapons
4 points - You can dual weild two non-light weapons that lack the dual wield property or You can shoot a target from close range without disadvantage with a ranged weapon
and so on. Don't be afraid to mix fighting style abilities and feat abilities into branching skill trees (which should be at point 4+). Also don't be afraid to lock off how far you can get into a tree by level

Armor Proficiency
1 point - gain proficiency with Light Armor
2 points - gain proficiency with Medium Armor (all gives disadvantage)
3 points - gain proficiency with Heavy Armor
4 points - You can add up to +3 dex to medium armor instead of +2 or you can negate disadvantage to stealth in medium armor
and so on

Combat Superiority
1 point - you get 1 combat maneuver and 1 die
2 points - you get 2 maneuvers and 2 die
and so on

RAGE (unlocked by spending X points in Martial abilities)
1 point - 2 rages, adv on strength checks and saving throws, +1 bonus to damage
2 points - same as above but +2 to damage
3 points - resistance to non-magical piercing, slashing, bludgeoning
4 points - 3 rages or +3 damage
and again so on and so forth

For magic break down into schools. More points in a tree the higher lvl of that type they can unlock, add wizard school or cleric domain abilities in there. Skills get bonus equal to points invested.
>>
>>53634856
>>53635317
Feel free to mix and match abilities and stuff from various classes into a tree, especially in the branching parts forcing them to pick one or the other sometimes.
>>
>>53635317
This seems like it would work against the goal. Arranging everything on really big trees seems like a mistake, when the basic idea would be for a character to be able to have a fighting style and an animal companion at the start of the game, while another can shapechange into a 1/4 CR creature and have expertise in a couple skills.

Having big, archetypal trees takes away the appeal of a classless approach, because it encourages specialization
>>
>>53632909
Pyromancer
>>
>>53630263

At proficiency five resilient is best. At early levels War Caster gets you more bang for your buck
>>
>>53632341
Which is funny, because you still need fireball to use the kiss.

Warlocks dont have access to that by default.
>>
>>53630438
Y'all do know contagion doesn't stick until after they've burned all 3 saves right?
>>
>>53633242
>but it can be done in between scenes
Encounters?
>>
>>53632268
The abilities are all still there, just rearranged and rebalanced.
>>
Y'all got any dungeon tables that are interesting?
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.