[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 45

File: Chandler_HL.jpg (242KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Chandler_HL.jpg
242KB, 672x936px
"Lazy Sunday" Edition

Previously on /EDH/: >>53592048

NEWS

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
http://mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>/tg/ EDH General Discord
https://discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What's you next big objective with your playgroup?
>>
Establishing a powerlevel seems top priority. I've constantly had to go back and forth between super casual and super competitive decks just to try and match the rest of the people at my shop.
>>
>>53610994
16 players tournament 4/table any suggestions for the shortest way to proceed?
>>
>>53610994
>>What's you next big objective with your playgroup?

there's a player who's been pushing past the group power level of 75% by building annoying shit like UR storm and soon prosh, so i took all my retired monoblack cards and put together a skittles deck that will hopefully show him the error of his ways using turn 4 lethals
>>
>>53610994
Building everybody a deck they would enjoy and establishing regular meetings time. Last month there were only ~5 regular players and a bunch of Duelers, numbers has nearly tripled this month

For me, it's acquiring the currency, 'cause there is already such a large pool of cards to trade from in our area, but I'm a poorfag
>>
>>53610994
>What's you next big objective with your playgroup?
getting a regular 4th player or getting one of the people to actually build decks with his retardedly big collection
>>
File: sg2le3N[1].png (366KB, 543x373px) Image search: [Google]
sg2le3N[1].png
366KB, 543x373px
So how powerful is she? How can I make a good multiplayer deck with her?
>>
>>53611157
>So how powerful is she?

pretty good for a typical casual meta, she brings you lots of value for 4 mana

>How can I make a good multiplayer deck with her?

grind value from marchesa and other mardu goodstuffy stuff, use your vast plethora of amazing mardu removal to deal with threats, pillowfort it up a bit, etc

note that i don't own a marchesa deck but that's what i'd do
>>
>>53611157
she herself isnt powerful but the monarch mechanic makes games really fun. your deck will revolve much more around the 99 than the commander

7/10 commander would play with
>>
File: Queen Marchesa.png (168KB, 244x348px) Image search: [Google]
Queen Marchesa.png
168KB, 244x348px
>>53611157
Monarchy makes games a little more interesting but not that much.
I built her a control route given the whole Mardu removal suite.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-04-17-OSa-queen-marchesa/
Sunforger is my baby. I hope this helps you figure out how you want to play the deck.
>>
>>53611157
Her ability leads me to believe she'd be pretty decent at playing board politics, but her colors are typically connected with a faster style of play. I'd imagine you could have some fun with her, perhaps with a creature token-based deck.
>>
>>53611591
She can also command a pillowfort, to make the crown count
>>
>>53611531

thanks! I really liked this deck
>>
>>53610994
Why does Han Solo hate the droids so much?
>>
File: 123.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sakiko-maximum-stomp/

Ramp hard, stomp harder.
>>
>>53611759
Loving the idea
>>
File: 1495491683575.jpg (67KB, 397x525px) Image search: [Google]
1495491683575.jpg
67KB, 397x525px
>>53610994

To find a new group, bunch of irritating faggots last night
>>
Any tips on building a land farming deck? I cant decide if I want to use Jarrad, or Gitgud for the commander. Does Jarrads land sac ability allow me to put him in the graveyard when he dies, and keep bringing him back for two lands with no commander tax? Also any tips for the manabase or how much land I should run? I plan on using gitgud and jarrad as the primary land killers with titania on the field, then bringing them back with life of the loam or similar cards. Im not very good at making commanders decks yet.
>>
>>53611970
Story time?
>>
>>53612035
>Does Jarrads land sac ability allow me to put him in the graveyard when he dies, and keep bringing him back for two lands with no commander tax?
Correct. Commander tax is only if you cast him from the command zone.
>>
>>53612095
Thank you, so another question. Gitrog is on the field. If I sac the two lands to get Jarrad back, do i have to sac a third to satisfy gitguds tax? Is the ruling for gitgud that i need to sac one for him, or just that one of my lands needs to be sacced in a turn?
>>
>>53611023
I've got decks with varying powerlevels, from cutthroat Alesha down to "I'll have what you're having" Sakashima, with a bit of healthy tribal Zombies and Dragons in the middle.
>>
>>53612082
Sorry I don't want the thread to devolve into shitposting so I'll refrain from telling it
>>
>>53612130
You'd need to sac an additional land because Gitrog needs one specifically for him.
>>
>>53612202
A shame. My playgroup is alright (partly because I'm empowered to inadvertently decide who is in it), but to find another one entirely would be quite hard if need be. And by that I mean finding another LGS. The only other one we've got is full of toxic 12-year olds
>>
>>53612202
Fair enough.
>>
>>53612130
Jarad's sac ability is seperate from gitrog even if done at the beginning of upkeep, gitrog always needs a land to sac or you must sac him
>>
>>53610994
Did 4 color commanders break the game in two?
yes they did
>>
>>53612610
It's not 4c commanders but partners
>>
>>53610994
So... let's try this one in for size:
https://strawpoll.com/5wb138g

What's your favorite color, /edh/?

It's going to be Black-Green, isn't it?
>>
>>53612610
Not really. There are still better 2 and three color ones. The only really good 4-color commander is Breya and that's only because she's a win condition if you have infinite mana to burn along with having decent utility. Yidris and Atraxa are pretty good, but nothing OP. Gay Kings are just group fug and mostly get used for their colors. Saskia is average and Xenagod tends to work better than her for aggro.

>>53612675
Partner isn't really anything amazing and is only good because of the color options and the quality of some of the partners, like Thrasios, Kydele, or Vial Smasher.
>>
File: IMG_0785.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0785.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>53612610
>>
>>53612368
>>53612371
If you guys want I'll post but I'll end up being called a crybaby

>playing gitrog against sliver superfriends/combo and phage
>phage ramps hard and gets everflowong chalice kicked for 4 on turn 3 and boasts having torpor orb in hand
>cast naturalize on his chalice at EoT
>sliver queen is doing nothing but fetching for his lands no real tutors
>cast gitrog and get hit with damnation by salty phage player who casts her only for her to eat a swords from sliver queen
>sliver queen casts his commander along with some walkers he drew, can't remember specifics except Teferi
>got good enough ramp to cast gitrog again
>phage casts again and sliver queen uses spot cyclonic rift on torpor orb in response and responds with imp mischief and redirects it to gitrog
>cast gitrog from hand and sliver queen starts throwing out every planeswalker and proliferates thanks to inexorable tide + mana echoes
>phage player tells me I need to stop him and pull off my combo so to "help" me he uses inquisition to discard my life from the loam then plays bojuka choosing me assuming it will make my GY all lands to help me
>get blamed by both of them for not having ways to stop phage or not being able to draw off gitrog except 1 time and my graveyard got exiled afterwards to prevent any interaction
>>
>>53611042
2 round elimination. If you're talking about decks, Teferi combo stax is the fastest there is.
>>
Hey guys I was looking to build a Rakdos EDH deck and was wondering some fun and cheeky black/red cards to shit disturb
I want to play it and have fun but still be able to do shit without it being the same cards every rakdos deck runs
>>
>>53612761
>uses inquisition to discard my life from the loam then plays bojuka choosing me assuming it will make my GY all lands to help me

Blithering Idiot 1B
Creature - Your Buddy
Each players maximum IQ is reduced by 90.
2/1
>>
>>53612761
that sounds like a typical edh game where nothing of noteworthy happened. i'm not even going to call you a crybaby because i genuinely don't know what you could be upset about. they weren't even that stupid, here's some shit that has happened in my group

the turn switcharoo
>attack the player who has the highest life total according to his dice with scourge of the throne, he had them upside down, don't get an extra combat, group refuses to let me rollback literally 5 seconds because on the account of the obfuscated game state
>immediately after, it's my 2nd main phase and another player says "ok you arent doing anything" and starts playing his combo and wins

threat assessment: the original sin
>be a 9 life UB player with 3 hand cards and no nonlands in a table with a 104 life UG player with a big board and tons of cards, the other 2 players group up against me and kill me because i had the audacity to wipe the board, then they start wondering how to kill the 104 life UG player
>ask them why they killed me and the answer was "we couldn't kill the UG player anyway", UG player wins next turn with an infinite combo that i could have stopped easily if i had just lived

threat assessment 2: revenge of the retards
>be a mana screwed BW lifetax player with 3 hand cards
>use one of my 3 hand cards to kill a mono-green player's 2 mana doublers
>he destroys my only white mana sources as "revenge", bringing my mana count from 6 to 4
>meanwhile other players all have more hand cards, more lands, more nonlands
>>
>>53612832
there really aren't that many rakdos cards to even browse through, but the most EDH useful ones are

havoc festival
cauldron dance
kaervek the merciless
sire of insanity
master of cruelties
>>
>>53612832
What do you mean by disturb?
If you're talking board control, you've got many creatures that kill off other creatures, majority of them are ETB. Besides the Merciless Slum Marauders, you've got Nekretaal, Shriekmaw, Flametongue Kavu, Outrage Shaman, Inferno Giant, Shadowborn Demon, Gilt-Leaf Winnower, Dark Hatchling, Avatar of Whoa, Painbringer, Flameblast Dragon, the list goes on.

If you're talking hand control, you're a little more stifled. You can run as many Specters as you can fit, and there's a few cards that empty hands, but unless you're playing 1v1 you're not going to get good value out of it.

Either way you go, running Sire of Insanity is recommended. You'd be doing Satan's work.
>>
>>53613022
literally fuck sire of insanity HURR DURR WHO NEEDS TO PLAY MAGIC TODAY? NOT US LOL

bouncing it in response to the trigger is a funny way to get rid of it but it still just fucks the whole game up
>>
>>53612954
i'd also like to add that the group has a no infinite combo rule but then this one guy built a storm deck that uses every rock in the world and paradox engine and argues that it's not an infinite combo when he plays his entire deck out, meaning it's ok in his eyes
>>
>>53612954
>you're not a crybaby but I am

Thanks for making me feel better at least I'm not playing with you
>>
>>53613064
>bbut muh perfectly sculpted hand
Fuck off, blue. Real men topdeck

>>53612832
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/585619-rakdos-the-defiler-death-at-any-cost
The list by some other guy I'm building atm. Is fun, but no such thing as "good Rakdos cards other decks aren't playing"
>>
>>53613086
i mean, it's pretty hard to put a solid definition on a non-infinite synergy that results in winning the game. it's kind of like game loss prevention + ad nauseam to draw your deck isn't an infinite combo we all know it's some ol' bullshit
>>
>>53613097
in every one of those stories, i just said "ok" when they made an idiotic decision and just left the table after i lost

i'm only a crybaby here because i can't be fucked to start shit while the game is in progress

also fuck you
>>
File: 3a1Qa65VZhM.jpg (40KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
3a1Qa65VZhM.jpg
40KB, 604x604px
>>53612954
>we couldn't kill the UG player anyway
>every fukking time
>>
>>53613118
>real tards topdeck
ftfy
>>
>>53612954
I'm not much for the bad stories of EDH because they're too common. Sometimes you get the player who plays Warp World just because, what can you do other than either get him to play competent or avoid him?

Personally, I'm still playing so I can witness amazing plays. I'm not talking rare combos, I'm talking MacGuyver shit like killing a player by flickering his Phage via Oblivion Ring, or using Vault of the Archangel and Heartless Hidetsugu on a player with infinite life to go infinite life.
>>
>>53613183
Good thing you get to be a tard with us, but with oh so little chances winning a fair fight. Also
>muh counterspells
>>
>>53613183
Found the Johnny.
>>
>>53613238
>nooooo! 6 of the 10 combo pieces I needed! I almost had it!
>>
>>53613064
Just because Sire can be played wrong doesn't mean it isn't a good card. Put it into a deck that topdecks board-controlling creatures (see: Mardu) and you'll wreck house.
>>
File: IMG_0896.png (207KB, 632x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0896.png
207KB, 632x358px
>>53613284
You. I like you.
>>
>>53613284
don't bully the johnnies anon. remember who the real bad guys are: the spikes
>>
File: IMG_3201.png (135KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3201.png
135KB, 223x311px
>playing mizzix
>never develop a boardstate with more than three 2/2's
>no on even attacks me until turn 9
>have 5 experience at that point
>capsize in hand
>table complains izzet is op
>>
>>53613340

In my meta, if they untap with mizzix still alive, the game is over
>>
File: IMG_0364.jpg (164KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0364.jpg
164KB, 1280x854px
>>53613329
That's true, though in my experience with EDH the Johnnys and the Spikes tend to be the same people.
>>
>>53612690
We /bug/.
>>
>>53613455
Alright then... Post your best /bug/ commanders for me and I'll work on a deck that represents the thread, for shits and giggles.
>>
File: IMG_0967.jpg (49KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0967.jpg
49KB, 223x310px
>>53613512
>Play EVERY deck!
>>
>>53612954
>attack the player who has the highest life total according to his dice with scourge of the throne, he had them upside down, don't get an extra combat, group refuses to let me rollback literally 5 seconds because on the account of the obfuscated game state
So he cheated and your opponents bullied you? I hope they aren't your friends because they're faggots.
>>
>>53613512
Or should I just go with the Partners meme and work out the best combination?
>>
File: vorosh.jpg (47KB, 500x695px) Image search: [Google]
vorosh.jpg
47KB, 500x695px
>>53613512
>second-dumbest three-color dragon tribal
>big dumb Voltron hunting

YOU DECIDE
>>
>>53613666
I hope his commander card is as artifacted as this image
>>
>>53613627
it wasn't really cheating on his part. it was a long game and everyone was getting impatient, so i just quickly misread the his life total and said "i'll attack x, and now with my extra combat -" and the combo player interrupts me and says there won't be an extra combat. then i argued a little bit but didn't care enough to argue properly, so i started thinking what to do on my main 2 and the guy says "ok you can't do anything" and just skips my turn.

at the time i didn't really start shit because i saw it mostly as my own fuck up, it was mostly the way he acted throughout the thing that triggered me

the guy isn't really a dick though, we trade around and talk a lot and i do consider him a friend, he just doesn't really think about other people when he gets invested into the game

also don't call my group faggots you fuck, they might be assholes but they're my group damnit
>>
>>53613641
BUG partners are
Reyhan+Thrasios
Reyhan+Kydele
Ikra Shidiqi+Thrasios
Ikra Shidiqi+Kydele
Silas Renn+Reyhan
Silas Renn+Ikra Shidiqi
Silas Renn+Thrasios
Silas Renn+Kydele

For the best I'd say Silas+Thrasios. Most fun, Silas+Kydele.

>>53613512
Tasigur. Lazy fucks who think they're geniuses and get beaten by someone bigger and better.
>>
>>53613753
If you misread his life total then that's not as bad then, I thought he was completely misrepresenting it.

I've got no patience for people that try to misrepresent things. Someone I play with occasionally does crap like this and trys to put his equipment, auras, and sometimes lands directly underneath other cards. He's a fucking sociopath that thinks he can turn it into a shell game and trick people into bad combat when they don't know a creature is equipped or miscount his mana because he stacked two basics directly on top of each other.
>>
>shivan meteor comes off suspend
>furnace of rath in play
>flash in dictate of the twin gods
>shivan meteor hits my stuffy doll for 52
>stuffy doll deals 208 to kambal player
>he unironically complains that stuffy doll is OP
L M A O
>>
>>53613861
>playing BW
>can't remove Doll
Hope you told him to git gud.
>>
>>53613627
I had one player I don't often play with designate his life total with a bunch of shitty blue d4's from last event and I couldn't tell for the life of me which side they are standing. When asked straight, he would point at them and basically refused to announce the total. I hit him with Master of Cruelties and made him draw 2 with Sign in Blood as a result
>>
>>53613839
Misrepresentation of boardstate is cheating.
>>
>>53614236
I don't get people like this. Do they think hiding public knowledge makes them tactical geniuses? Should just cover up their cards and lie about their hand size while they're at it.
>>
File: erebos.jpg (787KB, 662x1098px) Image search: [Google]
erebos.jpg
787KB, 662x1098px
>Thread Question
What's you next big objective with your playgroup?
To find one
>>
>>53614714
nothing relevant but you reminded me of a story
>Amonkhet draft with my friend
>me and him go back about 10 years, best friends in high school, use to play kitchen table mtg every single day
>we end up paired against each other in round 3, both 1-1, winner gets prizes loser doesnt
>attack into him unfavorably, making it obvious I have a combat trick
>he looks apprehensive and makes a remark like "man I know you've got something"
>reveal 3 swamps in my hand "I got nothing bro"
>he nervously moves his creatures forward and declares his blockers
>shout "HA!" and slam down an in oketra's name I was hiding behind a swamp
>he never asked how many cards in were in my hand, I just voluntarily revealed three of the four cards
>we both laugh until we fucking choke
>go on to win the match and he gives me shit the entire car ride home

I would never do that shit to a stranger though, that's just rude
>>
>>53614927
>finals with a friend
>trick him instead of splitting
>>
Which Commander will make me more hated: Atraxa or a Sliver?
>>
>>53615185
That's colluding, and can get you in big trouble at REL events.
>>
>>53615297
Hated as in hate to play with you or hated as in target on your back? Hate to play with, Atraxa, target of aggression, Slivers.
>>
>>53615297
I hate Atraxa much more than slivers
>>
>>53615328
No it's not.
"Players are allowed to share prizes they have won or will receive in the current tournament as they wish and may
agree as such before or during their match, as long as any such sharing does not occur in exchange for any game
or match result or the dropping of a player from the tournament."
If you say "Let's play the game and split the prize" it's fine. It's only a problem if you say "If you concede I'll split the prize with you."
>>
>>53615328
No, it is not. Intentional draws are VERY often used in tournaments. I think it shouldn't be allowed but it is and it's the major reason that "pros" exist. They form large teams and have designated friends (bitches) that scoop to them or intentionally draw with them in order to boost up the top players in their group.
>>
>>53615396
The last fact was what I was implying.
https://www.wizards.com/dci/judge/main.asp?x=articles/jc20010802a
>>
>>53615399
There's a difference between an intentional draw and conceding.
>>
>>53615185
he was home on leave time from military and just wanted to play some magic. no interest in ID. and playing under pressure is more fun.
>>
>>53615498
You know what would solve all those issues and make collusion real clear cut? Getting rid of intentional draws. If you're there to play the game then play the game.
>>
>>53615760
I totally agree.
>>
File: IMG_8773.jpg (128KB, 529x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8773.jpg
128KB, 529x640px
what's the most expensive card you own and why
>>
>>53615760
It's all about keeping normal players down so that the game can have some recognizeable "faces".
>>
>>53615773
NM Unlimited Volcanic Island, because my dad passed down his collection.
>>
>>53615773
NM Revised Tundra, because a friend was moving away and gave it to me.
>>
>>53615760
It isn't feasible to get rid of intentional draws. How are you going to force people to play to win?
>>
>>53615337
>>53615362
As in "hate to play with you"

Both stir up the Timmy in me.
>>
>>53615773
Pre-reprint Damnation (which tanked to 1/3 of the cost), from one of my first ever booster packs, because poorfag
>>
>>53615773
i bought a workshop for an edh deck
>>
File: mox-opal.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
mox-opal.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>53615773
Mox Opal, because I play Affinity in Modern.
>>
>>53615297
I play slivers and people always target me and end up getting fucked up by someone else at the table running stax or combo.
>>
>>53615892
You can't any more than you can force a football team to play to win if they want first draft pick. But you shouldn't make it convenient for them to game the system. Likewise, if you do it as often as people intentionally draw you will get a bad reputation because playing to lose for an advantage is a way greater sin than drawing for an advantage.
>>
>>53616037
>But you shouldn't make it convenient for them to game the system.
Why not? Making them play it out just wastes everyone's time.
>Likewise, if you do it as often as people intentionally draw you will get a bad reputation
Considering how many people ID, I doubt that.
>>
What deck should I play tonight?
I recently built a zedruu deck and a brion stoutarm deck so I could play a less competitive and fun deck.
Last time I played zedruu but my plan for zedruu was to play politics with her. I told everyone that they can make bids to see who gets what permanent because I thought that sounded fun. However when I was explaining my goal I used one player as an example I said "so let's say I have an enchantment you really want , I'll say something like player B has the most oppressive board, the most life, or the biggest creature if someone can change that I'll give you this permanent ." player B mistook that as that I was going after him and decided to go super aggro against me at all times even if it wasn't the best option for him. For example early on I had 2 creatures out and he had 3 creatures out, the other 2 players in the game had no creatures and were tapped out. He still decided to attack me even though he would lost 2 creatures and i wouldn't lose any but I would still take a him from the third one. Later he sorin markoved me to 10 even though I was at 20 life and we had another player at 100. So I had to start targeting him with all of my hate and the other 2 ganged up on him because they wanted my good stuff.
I ended up coming in second but I didn't get to play him how 3/4 of us wanted me to .
I haven't played brion yet but I felt i didn't get to really play zedruu. So which one should I use tonight?

>oh and what is a good commander precon to get for my friends birthday who wants to get into commander bit has no cards or experience? hopefully not one that's not above $45
>>
>>53616184
>what is a good commander precon
The prof actually just made a video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQtmwiwLpQ&t=0s
>>
Are Ultra Pro Satin Towers big enough to fit a double sleeved commander deck + tokens?

Also, how exactly are you supposed to shuffle a double sleeved commander deck? I have a hard enough time with a single sleeved one.
>>
>>53616534
they wont fit the tokens.

Mash shuffling can be fine, if you're careful.
>>
>>53615773
>what's the most expensive card you own and why

JTMS. Because I bought a pack of Worldwake once.
>>
>>53616534
You'll get used to it after a while unless you have tiny hands

>>53610994
Current, current playgroup: make them come out of they safe zone and pack some answers, some started without my help
Current, returning one: stop arms race/cold war that has been going for 2 years and make them play something fun or at least with at least not like automatons.

Unrelated: After playing my 'powerhouse' Xenagod with current playgroup and winning through politics I want to make a deck with theme of 'deal with the Devil' so politics pretty much but can't find fitting commander.
>>
>>53615773
JR Promo Survival of the fittest.
Why? Because I desired so.
>>
Any advice on finding a local playgroup? The people at my LGS are rude and extremely competitive and I am looking for something casual
>>
>>53616818
Say "Hey guys, EDH is for /casual/ play. You're not allowed to enjoy it competitively." 100% success rate, trust me.
>>
>wanting to build oona for the art and cute ability
>she's a Rude U "that guy" deck

why does amazing art have to be tied to such an unfun card? is there even a good faerie commander?
>>
>>53616902
Oona isn't unfun. Mill can be fun.
>>
>>53616902
forgot pic
>>
Sorry to post this here, but can anyone with SCG premium screenshot the decklist from this article?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35200_Updating-Abzan-Tokens-For-Grand-Prix-Omaha.html
>>
>>53616957
Why would someone have SCG premium?
>>
I need to trim this list down a bit, if anyone would be so kind:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-pitter-patter-of-ransacking-goblin-feet/

It's the idea is to use a bunch of little creatures to either goad pressure off of me, Lantern of Insight to take peoples nice stuff, or chaos/politic the person in the lead down so I can steal a win.
It is somewhat budget, so if you could keep prices within a dollar of what you think should be replaced, that would be fantastic.
>>
>>53616919
but how? i don't want to be Chad who just combos out t4 with a predictable strategy
>>
>>53617006

If there's a completely and absolutely worthless reason to throw money away, I expect someone here to have already done so.
>>
File: Image.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
126KB, 223x311px
>>53616902
While not a faerie herself, Vela the Night Clad has some decent synergy with the faerie tribal. That said, just run Oona if you want to run her.
>>
>>53617059
The Oona I built doesn't combo t4, but fits my meta pretty well. I'd like to see a t4 Oona, though.

This is the one I made, I tweaked it a bit but still http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oona-queen-of-the-fae-edh-9/
>>
>>53615773
Library of Alexandria

Because it's really good, I like to play it, and I don't have any power 9 yet.
>>
>>53615773
Mana Drain, because I shilled out the $200 to have a copy of the most powerful counterspell.

The funny thing is I hate countering spells and I have very few blue decks, so it's mostly a trophy. But I do slip it into the blue decks that I have when I choose to, and always love siphoning some grand marquis play.
>>
Daily reminder that sol ring should be banned
>>
>>53615773
>>53615958
I also have a Workshop.
>>
>>53617059
You can perfectly run her mono-B or mono-U
>>
>>53617059
>chad
>playing oona
Try Scion Hermit combo or Yidris
>>
>>53615773
Foil Future Sight Tarmogoyf. Because I pulled it from a fucking pack.
>>
>>53617059
Wut.
By this logic every general that has a mana sink ability is a T1 OP bullshit.

You know that isn't true, and people won't think that's what your doing with Oona anyway, since she costs 6 fucking mana and her activation has a colored cost to it.

You can build her fairy tribal, UB control, Big black mana, or mono u, if you felt like it. Combo is probably the way people build her the least now, since if you are going to try hard, there are much better choices.
>>
How many tokens do you bring? Three of each kind that you can produce? A big box o' tokens just in case?
>>
>>53617636
Five or however many my sources make in one go (4 for battlesphere, 7 for Endrek etc)
>>
>>53617636
I usually bring at least one of each the deck can produce, unless it's a token producing deck specifically (such as Saprolings and Goblins).
Then I try to bring a variety, so I can say "*8th Edition goblins attacking you, 10th attacking you, etc".
>>
>>53610994
We're doing Amonkhet gods, everybody is pulling whatever bullshit they can for it and it sounds like it'll be fun.
>>
>>53617265
daily reminder it won't be
>>
>>53616534
They can hold tokens, but your not going to be able to fit 20 of them in there or something ridiculous. If you just need a beast, a swan, and a goblin or something you are fine though.

Also, to help with both things get the air out of your sleeves. It will happen naturally over time, but it sounds like you just double sleeved, so press down on your deck to get the air out, you may have to massage it a bit and work in clumps of 20-30 cards at a time. Takes five minutes and it makes your decks noticeably smaller.
>>
>>53617636
I have one of those 1ft cardboard boxes with penny sleeves that each have 10x of common tokens, and clear perfect fit sleeves with Emblems and more expensive tokens. I doubled up on sets of some tokens, like Zombies, because 10x isn't always enough.

It's all alphabetically organized too, for convenience.
>>
>>53613022
What about big daddy Rakdos himself, Lord of riots variant
>>
File: IMG_0050.png (151KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.png
151KB, 223x311px
>>53610994

What kind of deck does this go in? Seems too slow for Boros, and most decks with green probably have other ways of getting mana that don't have a 7 mana sink.
>>
>>53615773
Masterpiece strip mine
>>
>>53617918
U/R
>>
>>53617918
A 5 color deck, maybe.
>>
>>53617918
Seems like something Blue would welcome, maybe with Proliferate abilities?
>>
>>53617918
It just doesn't, really.
Amonkhet had a lot of 'almost commander playable' cards.
>>
>>53615773
NM Beta Taiga.
>>
>>53617918
>7 mana guilded lotus after 3 turns

No
>>
>>53615773

Judge foul Survival of the Fittest I think.
>>
>>53618104

i think its okay in one of those artifact untap decks. you have to be the type of person that sees cards they want to make happen, and then find the deck where the card is at its best and make it work, rather than the type of person who just wants to make the best possible deck
>>
>>53617918
atraxa
>>
File: IMG_8796.jpg (55KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8796.jpg
55KB, 223x310px
how plausible is it that i can build this for causal play for around 100$
>>
>>53617918
I've been messing around with it and it seems OK in 3+ colors on a budget. Like, you'll run Prismatic Lens first since it generates mana off the bat, but Pyramid might make it late. It probably helps if you're running counter or untap synergies. I'm not sure anything outside Atraxa really *wants* it though.
>>
>>53618230
Casual play? 100 is easy for a monocolored commander. Saprolings.dec?
>>
File: YawgmothSingleDad.png (198KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
YawgmothSingleDad.png
198KB, 640x400px
Next time Phyrexia shows up, would you want to see a new printing of the surviving Praetors or reprints of the originals to bring the prices down a bit?
>>
>>53618250
that's what i was thinking
anthem and ramp
then one day get the money for the doubling season and the other token duplicator
>>
>>53618257
they would never reprint the originals outside of a modern masters set
>>
Anyone got a list for 1v1 oriented Arcum Dagsson? I wonder if Aphetto Alchemist/monolith that can infinitely untap would go well with Crackdown construct to create a big threat.
>>
>>53618323
this is a fun list
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/arcum-bomb-squad/
not the most competitive build but it's fun nonetheless
>>
>>53618130
Even in an artifact untap deck you aren't weaseling out of it cost 7 mana when gilded lotus costs 5.
And if you ARE running an artifact deck, then the colored mana isn't that important so you can run thran dynamo. And you can run hedron, and everflowing chalice, etc.

No matter the deck this card is going to be worse than like 10+ cards that do the same thing. If it got a counter for free each upkeep then it would see play in some decks.
>>
>>53618296
>a modern masters set

You mean Iconic Masters.
>>
>>53618352
if you can untap it multiple times in a turn you can reuse the mana it makes to tap it again. it's not ideal, and it's definitely just an atraxa card, but 1 mana to cast and then 3 mana with untaps is reasonable.
>>
>>53618274
How much is parallel lives going for these days? I know Doubling Season is something insane like 60 and unlikely to get a reprint because of how broken it is with Planeswalkers, but I thought Lives was at least sub-20

Get Life and Limb and Concordant Crossroads if you can, they're really funny.
>>
>>53618390
For atraxa I think I would much rather run astral corn, everflowing chalice, and I still think I would run guilded lotus over it, in addition to Sol ring and mana crypt, plus green ramp...
It's very meh. If you were among the poorest of poorfags it would still be hard to justify.
>>
Is Olivia Voldaren better for Vampire tribal or Voltron?
>>
>>53618505
She's a better Vampiric Dragon.
>>
>>53618481
it lets your sol ring/mana crypt/mana vault/ancient tomb help you cast atraxa the first time around, though.
>>
>>53618523
So does astral and gilded? Along with green ramp. The only thing I mentioned in that post that doesn't help is chalice.

Like I said, it's very hard to justify, it doesn't really have a place in the format
>>
>>53616667
Play an answers deck that's built gaining value for hitting the person you make the deal with, or that you ultimately profit from solving their problem.

Ex: Silas and Sidar permenancy removal, Atraxa political infection, or King Micar with Master puppeteer or disciple of the vault.
Or just Kambal, the fuck you pay me ening
>>
>>53618570
if you've got the most mana efficient play every turn and a perfect mana base, yeah, it's not very good. it has no place in cutthroat competitive EDH.
>>
>>53617059
Then dont run turn 4 combos, it's not hard just use the slot for removal
>>
>>53610994
I want to get into edh,do you guys have any tips for new people?
>>
>>53618879
it's all about your group. your deck can be whatever you want, but as long as you like the people you're playing with you'll have a good time. most people don't take it too seriously, even the high end competitive EDH players
>>
>>53618879
buying a precon is honestly a pretty good way to go if you have never played the format
>>
>>53618899
>>53618900
ok, whats the good precons for bant/grixis colors?
>>
what the fuck is vanilla mythic and how will it effect EDH/Commander
>>
>>53618928
There is only one for each of those color combos, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out. You can also read the thread, people have already asked about precons and resources were linked
>>
>>53618928
the precons in those colors are old and almost definitely sold out in most stores. EDH precons tend to sell out fast, so even this latest batch of precons, the only one left in stock is the worst one, the red/white/black/green beatdown deck.
>>
>>53618959
ok.
>>
File: 1486052284447.jpg (9KB, 193x197px) Image search: [Google]
1486052284447.jpg
9KB, 193x197px
>>53615773
Judge promo Gaea's Cradle. Because it's the best land for Elves.
>>
>>53618974
>>53618959
what are some other good precons? i'll look at the list but i wanna keep my eye out for some of the recommendations you guys might have.
>>
>>53618976
you should try building your own deck if you've got a decent collection. what legendary creatures do you have in the colors you want to build?
>>
>>53619006
the only legendary i have is yahenni, undying partisan. i want to get some legendary creatures so i can start so i figured i could come here for some pointers, and so far i've been told to get the edh precons wizard has.
>>
>>53619031
if you have a small collection, yeah, the precons are a good start. the latest batch of precons were 4-color commanders. they're kinda slow and not the strongest in the base deck, but most of them (besides the non-blue one) can be updated to be really good. i'd recommend yidris or breya, those are the non-white and non-green commanders. yidris is a fun stormy chaos deck and breya is an artifact deck. atraxa is also fun, she's every color but red, but her deck is constantly sold out because she's by far the most popular of the bunch.
>>
>>53618879
>>53618900
The current crop are pretty good, with the exception of The Gay Agenda. According to MTGGoldfish, the cards in each deck are approximately worth about:
>Breed Lethality $99.70
>Entropic Uprising $96.08
>Open Hostility $86.65
>Stalwart Unity $81.34
>Invent Superiority $79.26

Stalwart Unity is the worst, since it just has a ton of $1-$3 cards, and the most expensive one is only $4.49 for a Forbidden Orchard, compared to the most expensive cards in each other deck being:
>Atraxa $18.99
>Vial-Smasher $10.61
>Breya $9.01
>Conqueror's Flail $6.99

The most realistic one to look for, based on what my local stores have lying around still, seems to be Entropic Uprising.
>>
>>53619075
ooo i like artifacts, i'll have to look then.
>>
>>53619126
>>53619104
this guy's info is solid. the breya deck is "invent superiority". i haven't seen one on sale at a game store for a long while (they sold out of everything but open hostility at all 3 of my local stores within a month) but if you can find one, pick that shit up.
>>
>>53619104
i have a spare stewart unity in the corner of my room that i will probably never open
>>
>>53617636
I just bring dice and sometimes use upside-down cards for tokens.
>>
>>53619104
Entropic Uprising comes with a Chromatic Lantern also, which is a great card for any deck that's three or more colors, or even two color decks wanting to play cards like Grave Pact or Cryptic Command.
>>
>>53619314
a guy who comes to my LGS uses upside down cards from the other decks in his bag as tokens. those other decks happen to be his legacy decks, so i might kill a 1/1 rat token he made in his teysa deck and when he picks it up the table gets to see that it was a candelabra of tawnos under there the whole time
>>
>>53618230
Yeah you can certainly build a deck for him for around $100. You won't get to enjoy Doubling Season but can use the budget versions and be a more casual deck. Bring some artifact/enchantment removal to make the deck more competitive like Deglamer, Unravel the Aether, and Natural Obsolescence.
>>
>>53619372
I've done this exact thing with my legacy or vintage decks. It's pretty retarded but a little entertaining and it's a way to show off my mtg dick size.
>>
File: IMG_3863.jpg (62KB, 200x570px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3863.jpg
62KB, 200x570px
Mediocre/Weird/Bad cards you like. I like having this doodad in my Rakdos pain train and planning to have it in the 5-color Eldrazi deck I'm building.
>>
>>53619426
Man, it's dissapointing that the Emrakulification of Innistrad was locked to a small set, in addition to being right after Dissapointment for Zendikar
>>
To actually get together to play. We've played once in the last 4 months.

>>53615773
I bought a playset of Karakas when it was $100 for Legacy

>>53616667
Rakdos Lord of Riots
>>
>>53619002
Good as in strong general or good as well made and cohesive? The precons have gotten better about being cohesive over time. They started out as two or three themes jammed together and now they tend to run pretty well out of the box. For aggro or stompy the Saskia and Ezuri decks are pretty good. Marath one is alright but has a bit of the issues I mentioned earlier though I think he runs better with Gahiji at the helm. For combo/spellslinger, Yidris and Mizzet are fun. For more combo/value Jeleva runs alright. Prossh is strong but the deck is pretty linear. He can upgrade easily relatively cheap to be a very strong deck. Honorable mention to Kynaios and Tiro (commonly called Gay Kings) for being a unique deck and one of my favorite precons. The walker commanders as precons are very meh, with the exception of Daretti which probably runs the best out of the box.

Hope that helps. If you tell us what colors or playstyle we can narrow it down further.
>>
>>53619793
$100 for the playset or $100 each?
>>
File: Phyrexian Etchings_CS.jpg (204KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Phyrexian Etchings_CS.jpg
204KB, 672x936px
>>53619426
I usually try to fit in a jank CS rare in every deck. So many fun cards in that set.
>>
>>53619846
i did mention i like bant/grixis but the precons for thoes are old and expensive from what the others say
>>
>>53619882
Jeleva is pretty good for grixis though a bit durdlely. Derevi deck sucks out of the box. And yes the older precons are expensive unless you happen find one in a dusty corner at a Walmart or Target. I would float the idea that it's not nearly as intimidating as you think to build your own deck.
>>
>>53619857
$100 each. It's dropped to $60 since EMA released
>>
>>53619956
is nature of the beast a good precon?
>>
>>53619989
The Legends printing is still much more than EMA so you didn't lose much value at all, don't worry about it. The Legends card is so much more iconic and has the history of being a 20+ year old card you're playing with.
>>
File: Gahiji, Honored One_C13.jpg (258KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Gahiji, Honored One_C13.jpg
258KB, 672x936px
>>53620048
That's the Marath one I mentioned. Not a super cohesive deck but it runs alright out if the box. They include 3 legendaries of the same color identity in the deck so you can switch up your commander if you wish and I'd switch out Marath for pic related. I think deck runs better with him at the helm.
>>
>>53620092
>>53619989
>$60

Unfortunately, even that's a bit generous. The Legends printing is around $50 unless yours are pristine, and the EMA is down to $40.
>>
>>53620118
ok, thanks for info.
>>
>>53611591
>tfw I like her and wanna make a deck for her but I don't like token based armies

Maybe I should be a faggot and just go stax/pillowfort
>>
>>53619875
Oh wow, with Hex Parasite, that could get very spicy.
>>
Sorry EDH, I've got a dumb question.

If I attack with a Kari Zev equip with a Blade of Selves, do I make another Kari Zev for each opponent and a Monkey and then send all the extras to the graveyard, or only create duplicates of Kari Zev?
>>
>>53620387
Do it in response to it being destroyed or beginning of your upkeep after not paying costs of course but yes it has neat interactions.
>>
>>53620092
>>53620138
To be honest, I don't mind losing value much at all. I just want more cards in circulation for lower prices and in turn more players.
>>
>>53620493
Kari's trigger happens from her attacking. Since the copies are put into play attacking they don't cause her trigger to happen so only Kari copies. They all go in the graveyard immediately and essentially nothing happens without something like impact tremors or warstorm surge out.
>>
More colors = better deck

True or false
>>
>>53620566
Alright, thank you, I wasn't sure.
>>
>>53620575
False.
>>
>>53620575
False
>>
>>53620591
>>53620623
False
>>
File: Capture.jpg (46KB, 341x468px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
46KB, 341x468px
>>53620493
>>53620583

I would suggest that you put in Hero's Blade into that deck however...just for the giggles from this happening.
https://youtu.be/jCahPTDXgJY
>>
I'm sort of new to EDH and, after discerning that their's no waifu commander for my favourite colour combo URG, I'm just using my only legendary creature of that combo; Maelstrom Wanderer.

I'm not exactly an but is it right to assume I just play ramp and then cascade into big creatures with MW?
>>
>>53620704
Big creatures or big spells. It's hard to fuck up maelstrom wanderer.
>>
>>53620730
But it's easy for Maelstrom Wanderer to fuck me
>>
>>53620704
>No waifu in URG
>Yasova will teach you true meaning of waifu
>>
>>53620704
>no waifu commander for my favourite colour combo URG
Yasova Dragonclaw. She's got U/R in her triggered ability's cost so she's URG. You can also do Tana+Kydele for 2waifu0laifu or Surrak for best husbando.
>>
>>53617918
it was actually pretty decent in my atraxa proliferate deck. I mean it's a lot less competitive than my other atraxa deck but it's not terrible. Only having to put a brick counter on it once and proliferating the rest made it seem pretty good. without proliferate though it seems kind of bad
>>
>>53620762
>>53620785
Yasova looks like a dude ;)

Though that Tana/Kydele definitely seems nice
>>
>>53619875
>>53620387
Just bounce, flicker, or exile it if you're worried about the life loss. Mono B can probably keep up with the upkeep indefinitely though, so that's actually just great in a slow meta.

>>53620048
The power level is there, but it's rather incoherent out of the box. Marath is probably the best Naya colored commander in the game and works pretty well even if you're building on a budget.

>>53620575
False

>>53620704
Pic related isn't a satisfactory waifu?
>>
>>53620906
Invisible stalker isn't a legendary I'm afraid
>>
>>53617636
If I can produce a lot of different kinds I'll just bring one of each and put upside down cards underneath it when I have multiples

>>53617918
Atraxa and maybe some kind of artifact based mass untap deck.
>>
File: Yasova Dragonclaw.png (139KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Yasova Dragonclaw.png
139KB, 223x311px
>>53620906
>>53620930
Fine, how about Yasova?
>>
>>53620968
>>53620839
>>
>>53620575
False.
>>
>>53620575
false
>>
>>53620575
Everyone is disagreeing but this is pretty demonstrably true in EDH.
>>
>>53621450
Tazri is the only top tier 5c deck, and he's still challenged by Yidris and Thrasios+Tymna/Ravos/Vial Smasher, who are four color, Jeleva and Zur, who are three color, and Teferi PW, who's mono blue. It's demonstrably false.
>>
>>53621546
>he
>>
>>53621546
>Ydris is literally just Jeleva but with green
>Thrasios/X is literally just Tasigur+X
>forgetting Scion Hermit just because you've jumped on the Tazri train
>>
>>53615773

Liliana of the veil. Got her in a box of the latest modern master, along with caverns of souls, tarmo, and 4 fetch lands
>>
>>53621583
Hermit Druid is too slow.
>>
>>53615773
Bazaar of Baghdad.
>>
File: 20170604_212258.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170604_212258.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
I'm at a bit of an impasse, I played with a group at college which was pretty high-power and adjusted my deck accordingly, and now when I got home it's just pubstomping my friends when we hang out. The deck doesn't really feel as fun as it used to, mostly because it's turned into ParadoxEngine.dec instead of winning incrementally off of instant/sorc value and having access to a few combos. Thoughts on how I should proceed? I was thinking of scrapping it and making a UR Artifact deck with Nin or Niv-Mizzle but I'm not sure I want to commit to that. I tend to favor stax-y artifact lists over goodstuff but I don't think I wanna go down that road in UR and with my friends playgroup.
>>
File: sen triplets.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
sen triplets.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Give me some spicy tech for these bitches. I want to focus on stealing peoples shit.
>>
>>53622367
Just build a shitty deck to use with your shitty playgroup and break out the power deck when you're with the power group. I have six decks and two of them are designated as shitty but fun.
>>
>>53622457
Any mana is critical. Celestial Dawn works.

Run other "Steal opponent's deck" tech: Praetor's Grasp, Gonti, Word of Command, Mindslaver, Worst Fears, Grinning Totem, Bribery, Acquire, Telemin Performance, maybe some miscellaneous clones and control magics like Evil Twin.
>>
File: -1360-hr.jpg (316KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
-1360-hr.jpg
316KB, 745x1040px
>>53616902
she can be built a few ways, if you dig the art but dont want to throw down a bit of a dickish deck then just build that girl tribal.
With all the cute faires and leather clad rouges you could ask and it's not too exspensive ether.

There's also control oona who revolves around knowing whats on top of players decks as a janky use of her ability.

And infamana combo oona. Go infinate, exile everyones libraries. With blacks tutoring and blues artifact synergy and the fact you actually only need to go infinite in one color this is where she gets unfun, to play against at lest anyway.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>53622457
the spice is real with this little gem
>>
>>53622367
Ban Paradox Engine
>>
>>53611157

Your opponent's will feel the wrath of the mighty monarch.
>>
>>53622703
wow thats really good
>>
>>53610994
>flavor text isn't "Could I KILL any more artifact creatures?"

wasted opportunity
>>
So since Hyper Mattes are supposedly going down the shitter, are Dragon Shields a suitable replacement? And how about those new Ultra Pro Eclipses?
>>
>>53623154

Dragon Shields are the best imo.

I've never tried the Eclipses but they come in packages of 80 which is terrible for commander
>>
>>53623154
Dragon Shields are pretty good, shuffle feel gets weird after a while. The Eclipses are nice, decent shuffle feel after a while, but only come in 80 per pack.
>>
>>53623180
>>53623190
Extremely Subjective color power rankings for Dragon Shields?
>>
>>53622805
As much as I'd like to get it out of the format, houseruling is a slippery slope and one I'd rather not embark on.
>>53623220
I'm partial to purple.
>>
>>53623220

Purple>All
>>
>>53623220
I'm using Ivory Matte myself.
>>
>>53623306
Doesn't Ivory show grime readily?

>>53623256
>>53623281
Interesting
>>
>>53623334
I play with a mat and don't subject my sleeves to mud baths before, during or after games.
>>
>>53623364
Fair point. Just a concern I had,
>>
>>53623382
I understand. The tables at my lgs are nasty as hell.
>>
>>53622457
I would try to include some bounce spells, including bounce counterspells like Remand to knock your opponents' best permanents and spells back into their hand.
>>
File: 1444378733980.jpg (8KB, 209x233px) Image search: [Google]
1444378733980.jpg
8KB, 209x233px
>>53612761

Let me tell you where you went wrong. You're playing against a Sliver player that's not running Sliver Overlord as their general and a retard playing a general that will literally cost him the game if he plays it from the command zone.
>>
>>53611157
She's good for stax
>>
>>53612202
How is that shitposting? We love hearing about that shit.
>>
Help me make cuts / suggest cards for my casual Bant meme deck

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-05-17-weird-science/

please no 'cut all of it'
>>
>>53623154
The eclipse sleeves are the best out there. The shuffle is good, and they are durable. Shame they are hard to find.
>>
>>53623493
From the sounds of it, it wasn't really a sliver deck as much as a 5 color deck with a general that makes dudes. Even with slivers, there's norhing wrong with playing with a less optimal general.

Phage is a meme general though.
>>
>>53623931
>2x Oblivion Ring
Your pillowfort package sucks, just run Spike Weaver. Ooze Garden and Cancel are awful. Add Plaxcaster Frog and Gavony Township. HARDENED SCALES nigger, how was that not the first card you added? More sac outlets like High Market and Greater Good.
>>
>>53624068
1 life per creature from High Market feels a little underwhelming
>>
File: teferi.png (140KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
teferi.png
140KB, 223x311px
Dear /edhg/.

This is teferi. Teferi is contesting the position of the most competitive commander in the game. Being competitively viable is a very exclusive club. The problem is that /tg/ and the greater portion of high-powered dick wavers don't understand just how exclusive this club is. A lot of people think of prossh as a very competitive commander. The truth is that prossh hasn't been well represented in the competitive metagame for a while, despite just how powerful he is. The same goes for other commanders with a high reputation, such as narset and oloro. The highest level of commander competition has evolved into three basic archetypes.
1. combo
2. stax
3. hate decks.

Competitive EDH is a very warped world in which the vast majority of commander's options serve no purpose. This isn't to say that CEDH is bad or that it's bad for the game, but it does make it necessary to address a certain kind of douchebag that shows up in many threads and at many tables. Enter the self-righteous pseudo-spike, or SRPS.

The SRPS has a spike's mentality in the way that he doesn't believe in soft bans or matters of taste. To the SRPS, the only honest way to show you don't want to be beaten by a certain strategy is to counter it. The SRPS is not a true spike because his only goal is to crush metas that are fundamentally playing a different game from him. This is the commander equivalent of a person that tries to make people feel bad for losing at FNMs but is less skilled than the average GP entrant.

The SRPS can take many forms, and many people can act like him unknowingly.
"Don't play commander X it's trash. Play Y instead"
Both options are not viable, Teferi and friends exist. If Y is viable, you are arbitrarily claiming authority over the power level.

"craw wurm meta scrubs grumble battlecruiser shits"
The truth is that just about any deck with creatures is not going to be viable with Teferi and friends around.

The hypocrisy crumbles easily against real CEDH decks.
>>
>>53623945
Dragon shields are still best, the frosted fronts diminish foils and can get you kicked out of tournaments if the judge there is enough of an ass.

Not that the last one matters for EDH, but pimping is a big part of deckbuilding IMHO
>>
>>53623931
I feel like you don't run enough dedicated removal for artifacts/enchantments. Too much overlap with your universal removal could really bite you in the butt. Can't go wrong with a manglehorn and a K grip. Also, no graveyard hate? No board wipes? I understand you want to steal the dudes, but that seems super sketch.
>>
>>53624253
I'm going to have to disagree on this.
I like dragon shields but eclipse are way better. They're a lot more durable I mean you really have to put a lot of force to get them to tear, shuffle better (although that's really subjective), and the plastic on the front let's you see the card a lot better than dragon sleeves which can look a bit foggy at times.
The only downside is they come in packs of 80.
Dragonshields are good but they are only second best now. If you haven't tried eclipse you really should. I'm currently rotating all of my sleeves from dragonshields to eclipse
>>
File: Pegs-ohnoooos.jpg (21KB, 496x378px) Image search: [Google]
Pegs-ohnoooos.jpg
21KB, 496x378px
>>53624232

If you're going to play cards and decks that wouldn't succeed at a real CEDH meta, then why would you ever feel the need to insult decks that aren't equipped to deal with what you are doing? If any power level below Teferi and friends is acceptable, who are you to think that your flavor of magic draws the line?

Even if you were to make a deck that would match Teferi and friends, why are you crusading into what is essentially a completely different game? That would be like walking into a wine-tasting event and insulting the maturity and intelligence of everybody there because in your eyes, it's a poorly played drinking contest.

The nuance of the conflict between expecting others to accommodate you and you accommodating others is like other interactions in real life, where a careful balance is necessary. This is why commander is designed to be a social format and not a competitive format.
>>
>>53624307
I'll chuck a Wrath or three in there, but what graveyard hate is there in Bant besides RIP?
>>
>>53624380
Angel of finality, scavenging ooze and relic of progenitus are all pretty decent includes over some of the cuter stuff. Relic barely hurts you since you have almost no recursion. Wheel of sun and moon is also a really good way to stop graveyard nonsense without the tactical nuke answer that is RIP.
>>
>>53624322
I have tried eclipse m8, what made you think I haven't?
It's not durability I have a problem with, they are just as tough as dragon shield matte, it's the "frosted" front they made to "reduce glare". Some of my foils are $100+, and the only point of them is to see them.
I have never experienced this "fog" on the fronts of dragon shields you are talking about, can you elaborate? Is it something you get in certain climates?
>>
>>53624172
It's there to be a sac outlet. The effect doesn't really matter much.
>>
>>53624380
Stonecloaker is a decent ones that can also save your creatures and is reusable.
Buy nicer lands
>>
>>53624172
Your commander steals other peoples' dudes, you just want them dead. It also goes in a land slot, so it's not a big cost to run it.
>>
>>53624596
but nice lands are expensive and blac lotuses wont pay for themselves
>>
>>53612954
>immediately after, it's my 2nd main phase and another player says "ok you arent doing anything" and starts playing his combo and wins
damn, I would have been fucking pissed
>>
>>53624645
Are you planning on playing vintage?
>>
File: 51-U8fb4pUL.jpg (64KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
51-U8fb4pUL.jpg
64KB, 353x500px
>>53622457
Sen draws a ton of hate. Heres a backup stealy creature/removal target.
>>
>>53624645
>lotuses
plural?
>>
>>53624751
sphinx tits
>>
why is army of snakes so fun?!
>>
>>53610994
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-jank-1/

Praise be to Sheldon for unbanning Protean Hulk.
>>
File: download (13).jpg (11KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
download (13).jpg
11KB, 188x268px
>the edh subredit insists that bolt is insane in cedh
is this a joke? pls tell me this is a joke
>>
File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>53624880
Cute girls use snakes
>>
>>53624880
>>
>>53624945
I think bolt is a lot better than people give it credit for but yeah it loses it's luster for sure
It's like putting in a combat trick card, just think of it like that
>>
>>53624945
Does the C stand for competitive or Canadian? If it's the latter then it actually is really good.
>>
>>53624945
CEDH is not real EDH for most groups. Take anything they say with a grain of salt unless you are playing extremely high powered strategies.
>>
>>53624945
in a 1v1 format with 20 or 30 life? Yeah Lightning Bolt is really good there. It costs only 1 mana and answers many creatures.
>>
>>53625253
Bolt takes care of a lot of cEDH strategies. It kills pretty much every creature that would get played in high end games, and it kills planeswalkers.

It still might be worth running in non competitive mono red too. But that's mono red, and card quality is special there.
>>
>>53611531
Confirming sunforger shenanigans, Dawn Charm, Boro Charm, Wrecking Ball are my shenanigans.
>>
>>53624880
Post your sneklist?

>Mine:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-o-x-i-c/
>>
>>53615773
SP Candelabara of Tawnos that I got for $45 before Time Spiral was unbanned in Legacy.

Not the most money I've every payed for a card though. That would be the judge promo Imperial Recruiter I got for $190.
>>
Anons, I want to build Bant Bird tribal for fun.

Give me some spicy fun cards to throw in.

Commander is either Derevi or Sidar Kondo/Ishai.
>>
>>53625253
I keep Lightning Bolt in my Niv Mizzet deck that cares about Instants and Sorceries. It's a cantrip with no downsides, can trigger any number of abilities - Guttersnipe, Wee Dragonauts, Young Pyromancer, Sphinx-Bone Wand, Mind's Desire - and can blast annoying Commanders right away. Like Daxos. Man, I hate my buddy's Daxos.
>>
>>53625515
FLURRY OF WINGS
BIRD FOG
>>
>>53617675
>Only 7 for endrek
>not getting him to 6 thrulls then dropping an 8 drop

Disgusting
>>
>>53625488
my friends bitching that my main decks too strong
so i made budget trash
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/664944#paper
>>
>>53625619
same, man. my buried alive vial-smashios combo deck was too consistent for my playgroup so i converted the fucker into buried alive hapatra which is decidedly less consistent
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (29KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
29KB, 1280x720px
>>53625653
my zada was too strong
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/660848#paper
>>
>>53625688
nice.

we had a zada player until the group ok'd nephilim as commanders, which is pretty neat.
>>
>>53625704
ink treader would be t1 if it was a legal commander
>>
>>53625715
yes. yes it would. my favorite part is when it draws 60 cards, shits all of its lands into play, drops omniscience, then does whatever stupid win condition it wants.

good thing the ink-treader player in my meta doesn't understand this and just uses it to wrath the board with target removal most of the time.
>>
File: 1496638319988.gif (176KB, 312x322px) Image search: [Google]
1496638319988.gif
176KB, 312x322px
>>53625759
it can draw its whole deck out like zada, but lets other players accumulate the board state, so if it gets wrathed they lose nothing
>>
>>53625759
>>53625779
>>53625715

On the other hand, any removal spell will kill ink treader and all your tokens though

Might make it a bit more difficult to draw your library
>>
>>53625797
most of the time ink-treader can piggyback off your opponent's creatures, so there's much less need to stack up on tokens. also, killing ink-treader would kill every creature in play anyway.

on top of that, ink-treader usually wins the turn it comes down.
>>
>>53625826
does redirecting spells to inky work?
>>
>>53625826

Oh right, yeah, seems broken
>>
>>53625826
holy shit i wish this was a legal commander
>you will never live in the alternet universe where Ink-Treader Nephilim is a legal commander
>>
>>53625891

No, the trigger occurs when a spell is CAST that targets inky, redirected a spell that's already been cast previously won't change anything
>>
>>53625891
"plays" not "casts" yes
>>
>>53625900

Even if it was errata'd to be legendary it would likely be banned, so even if you found a way to get to alternate universes, you still wouldn't be able to do it
>>
>>53610994
>thread question
Meeting with regularity.
>>
>>53625914
it dosent say cast
>>
>>53625922

Incorrect, first of all, check the oracle text, "plays" = "cast" when referring to spells since like 10 years ago when they changed it

Second of all, idk what sort of reasoning would make you think the word "play" would somehow make it apply to a redirect spell
>>
>>53625933
yeah, for sure. it's unfortunate because i've got a soft spot for decks that turn jank shit commons into highly playable cards
>>
>>53625982
>player plays the spell
>you redirect
>therefore they played a spell that targets, you just changing the target, not copying the spell
>>
>>53625942

Check the oracle text m80
>>
>>53625982
redirecting dosent make the spell not cast
>>
>>53626011
Pretty sure you are trolling me but whatever

Inky triggers only when a spell is cast (and that spell targets inky and only inky), not any time there happens to be a spell on the stack that targets inky and inky only
>>
>>53626036

Think of it this way, inky triggers only when a spell is cast, and only if that spell meets certain criteria AT THE MOMENT IT IS CAST

Meeting the criteria retroactively doesn't matter because there was only one moment in which that spell could have triggered inky, and that moment was when it was cast
>>
>>53626108
ok thank you
>>
I have what may be a noob question about Jarad. How do his 1/1 counters work? Does it only count when he enters the field and is staric after that, does it change as things die, if a creature leaves the graveyard does he lose a counter?
>>
>>53626132

No prob bob, inky is one of those cards that causes quite a bit of rules confusion
>>
>>53626154
He doesn't get +1/+1 counters at all, he has an ability that boosts his power and toughness as a state based action.
>>
>>53626108
oh yea huh. its like how you can cheap out card advantage with possibility storm with the copies inky and zada,but cant loop copies
>>
>>53626154
they're not counters, it's constantly updated
>>
>>53626154
It constantly updates. When you throw your golgari grave troll, for example, Jarad will get bigger when the troll hits the yard.
>>
>>53626154
>does it change as things die, if a creature leaves the graveyard does he lose a counter?

They're right, they're not counters. Which means the numbers do change as things die and a well-timed graveyard exile can nerf Jarad nicely.

But really, it's his activated ability you should be most worried about. That shit kills people.
>>
>>53626154

Thing about magic is that you have to pay attention to specific wording, you'll notice that Jarads text does not mention any "+1/+1 COUNTERS", it only mentions that he gets "+1/+1" at such and such time

That will tell you which rules he follows. Counters work differently from static boosts such as jarad's static boost. A static boost like jarad's will "update in real time" so to speak. the game is always checking how many creatures are in the yard and his power and toughness is always adjusting to that

Counters work differently and are worded differently. Check out the card golgari grave troll. He "enters the battlefield with" some number of counters, and those counters stay no matter what happens to the gy after that
>>
is there an interesting way to build wort besides just a regular token deck?
>>
>>53613512
Play >>53613666 in a deck helmed by >>53613531
>>
>>53626166
>>53626172
>>53626206
>>53626221

>they aren't counters
Welp. Good that that bonus 1/1 counter snake only cost 14 cents. On the bright side, I didn't exsctly want to fuck with counters anyway. I look forward to fucking people with that sac ability though. Thanks /tg/.
>>
>>53626270

I mean that one anon is always talking about his sweet scapeshift theme wort deck, I'm sure it's tokens too but his way of wombo comboing off is to tutor a bunch of lands into play with his conspire effects

When I had a wort deck it was a storm tokens deck, it was all about ritual mana and turning tokens into card draw to draw my library and play everything at once

I'm not sure there's a way to get around being token related when your commander makes tokens AND has an ability that directly interacts with tokens

That said, wort is probably one of the most unique of token commanders given his interacting with instants and sorceries through conspire. I can't really think of any other token deck that works that way, except maybe like a monastery mentor deck
>>
File: dubs.jpg (37KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
dubs.jpg
37KB, 223x310px
>>53615773
I got it while it was ONLY $25
>>
>>53626325

>$55-$60 bucks now

Wow, got mine for like $18ish no more than 2 years ago, and I thought it was overpriced as hell
>>
File: metalworker.jpg (25KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
metalworker.jpg
25KB, 223x310px
>>53615773
i was an idiot kid who saw a mirrodin artifact deck destroying people in the time between draft rounds for a lorwyn draft. after the draft i bought a pack and there was a garruk in it, which was like $40 at the time. some shark tried to scam me out of my garruk by offering trades from his binder, and with the idea in my head that i wanted to build an artifact deck, i pointed to his foil metalworker.

glad i held onto that one. that shit's almost $250 now.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
>>53626396
>sharking
>mfw buying shock lands before Modern became official
>mfw selling them at a profit
>mfw dumping thoughtseizes right before Theros
>mfw dumping ZND fetches before KTK/MM3

Got to love winning from vendors from time to time
>>
>>53626347
It must have dropped a bit back then. I got it around three to four years back. It's beyond solid in my Definitely Not Food Chain Prossh deck.
>>
>>53626472
Rudy is the best MTG YouTuber, hands down.
>>
I happened to come across a foil Iroas in russian and I want to build a deck around him. What's the least terrible Iroas deck?
>>
>>53626632
Like all Boros decks, the best version of the deck secretly has Sunforger as the general.

Lots of equipment tutors and a sunforger package. If you feel like a big enough fucking man, you can use a voltron win con with it on your god.
>>
>>53626655
yeah, that's what I was thinking, I was just hoping there was at least something I could do besides make just a worse version of my Ruhan deck...
>>
>>53623306
Second, ivory matte is literally patrician taste
>>
>>53624535
I found that whilst playing in florida, you can literally see the ambient humidity seeping into the sleeves during play, occasionally fogging up the sleeve
>>
I don't really get what's so great about sunforger? seems pretty annoying to actually get going considering the equip cost is pretty expensive and its sorcery speed only, easy to get shut down by removal
>>
>>53626796
Holy fuck, that sounds so bad.

I live in Michigan and I thought leaving my cards in the basement was bad. I imagine foils curl like a motherfucker too.

RIP Floridabros. I feel sorry for your cards
>>
>>53626672
Include Yuan Shao, the Indecisive so all your creatures are unblockable.
>>
>>53626821
>Obvious blue or green player speaking

It's literally the best thing Boros gets. If you think it's bad its because you have been spoiled rotten by other color pairings.

Also costing a shitton of mana is no problem when you literally have no cards in hand to spend that mana on
>>
>>53626821
Puresteel Paladin
Leonin Shikari
Stoneforge Mystic
Recruiter of the Guard
Imperial Recruiter
Mistveil Plains
Tithe
>>
>>53626876

Fair enough, seems pretty strong late game when you're trying to grind it out while low on cards
>>
>>53626892

>mistveil plains + sunforger

Spicy
>>
File: FUCKINGRIFFFFTTTTTTTT AHHHHHHHH.png (391KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKINGRIFFFFTTTTTTTT AHHHHHHHH.png
391KB, 800x733px
Can I have some good 'ol fashioned stories of rage ?

>token player vs mogis vs blu player
>token player unloads hand into a bazillion tokens
>mogis does mogis stuff, dies to tokens
>token player drops craterhoof, expecting a counter
>resolves
>face lights up like he just dug a 20 out of the couch
>"OK, swing with everything"
>"in response..."
>smile disappears, eyes widen
>"I overload..."
>his veins bulge, eyes widen, begins to breathe in deep
>"...cyclonic rift "
> "YOU MOTHER FUCKER "
>proceeds to bitch about how his playgroup banned the rift and how degenerate it is, etc etc
>scoops shit up and storms out of shop
>>
>>53626972
I wonder if he would have been just as tilted it if was any of the myriad of other "bounce all dudes/attackers" cards that blue has.
>>
>>53626972
Cyclonic Rift overloaded is so prevalent in my local meta that I fully expect my board state to never last more than one turn.

It's also why I run Boiling Seas in my red decks...
>>
>>53627051
What about boil?

Tsunami in green decks?
>>
>>53627051

Yeah I mean I never expect to be so lucky as to avoid the rift altogether, it's more a question of do they have some way to recur it and do I have enough mana to just replay a winning position immediately
>>
>>53627229
New thread, but I forgot the title since I'm a huge faggot
>>
>>53627239
just delet it and start again, anon
no one will know
i'll know
>>
>>53627239

The title is the most important part though, the rest is totally irrelevant
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.