[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - As previously requested edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 36

File: Twilight Snuggle.jpg (506KB, 960x1344px) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Snuggle.jpg
506KB, 960x1344px
Last thread:
>>53495806
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Same old questions same old answers, how about some odd answers. Forget kickstarter, what's the oddest way you've ever acquired a game? Yard sale, bequeathed by a crazy uncle, traded a horse, payment for sexual services rendered?

How about your non-bookshelf storage; do you store your games in a desk drawer? Linen closet, under the sink, big steamer trunk with a heavy iron lock that'd make pirates happy?

What's the strangest gaming experience you've ever had? Someone's prototype, giant/human sized copy of a game, do you Catan?
>>
File: xFLMONV.png (499KB, 1562x403px) Image search: [Google]
xFLMONV.png
499KB, 1562x403px
Last thread died, one anon recommended puerto rico.

So, to get into a heavier euro

Agricola(old) / Caverna / Le Havre / Agricola 2016 / Suggestions?

Pic is my humble collection for reference.
>>
>>53588339
LOL - OP I was not expecting anyone to seriously use that pic for a thread image. :)

>>53588370
I'd lean towards Caverna / Le Havre myself. Puerto Rico is good. You might also look at Archipelago if you want a heavier Euro.
>>
>>53588339

Great OP pic.

>odd way to get a game
Dude was selling his collection online, he needed money for a divorce and I bought a couple off him. I almost felt bad for scoring AGoT at half price.

>non shelf
empty sofa is practically a dumpster. clothes, boxes, backpacks, gadgets...

>strangest gaming experience
Diplomacy. after the inevitable backstab, this dude that thought the other guy was his stalwart ally stood up, stared him square in the eye and with barely contained, cold rage said "I'd say you're a whore, but that would be disrespectful to whores" then left the house. To this day he won't speak to his ex friend.
>>
>>53588370
Agricola/Caverna is a solid choice. I haven't played Agricola, but apparently Caverna is basically same game with different theme. Get the newest one, my friend who is a big fan told me that the designer is trying to perfect the game with every new edition.

Puerto Rico is one of the most played games of my collection. The strong points of it are rules that are easy to learn but the game has great strategic depth. Also it's not very long game so you can easily play 3 games in one session. The theme is rather dull to be honest but works.

Another of my current favourites is Roll for the Galaxy. Again, fast, easy, depth. Plus a lot of dice rolling if you enjoy it. As the game progresses you get technologies that let you manipulate dice so it's not totally random. Expansion is also great and recommended.
>>
>>53588370
I think youd really like race for the galaxy (roll for 3+ players)
>>
>>53588339
>oddest way you've ever acquired a game?

buying out of the truck of FLGS owner after his store went out of business in the parking lot of the empty store a year later. Still able to look inside and see old tables and cardboard displays because nobody else had rented it.

>non-bookshelf

several games are currently holding up my lightbox setup for photography

>What's the strangest gaming experience you've ever had?

off the top of my head, playing twilight imperium with a guy who was also simultaneously playing a second game of TI on his phone with other people.

runner up would be playing MoM with the same guy, so drunk that it took him almost two hours to set up and him refusing to let anyone help him.
>>
>>53588339
>oddest way
Work in recycling, people throw a lot of stuff out. Boxes are usually scuffed up or muddy, but the only components to be missing so far are dice. I'm not talking stumbling into gold mines here, but for a hit of nostalgia when you see Wrestling Challenge or Blockbusters sticking out of a pile of rubbish, I'll take free and dirty.

>non-bookshelf storage
In boxes. Not ideal for playing anything you want, so there's usually a few outside of boxes that are played a few times before the time comes to switch them out for something from the boxes.

>strangest experience
Don't really have anything strange so far. Gaming in a venue with screaming kids and oblivious parents isn't strange, just ridiculous. Machinery at work isn't even as loud as a screaming child.
>>
>>53588370

Agricola 2016.

P.S. Robinson Crusoe is much of the Agricola experience except in a cooperative format, great game.
>>
How is Chaos in the Old World?
Does it play smoothly? It looks a bit clunky
>>
>>53590562

I like it very much, it aint even my usual style of game but I always had fun playing it.

It IS a bit clunky, not nothing crazy.
>>
File: collection.png (545KB, 1303x425px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
545KB, 1303x425px
>>53588339
what would you get me next?
>>
>>53590562
The only aspect of the rules which doesn't seem "natural" to the game is that the territories need their scoring resolved in a specific order (there are arrows on the board to help) but this is important in the end game to possibly make lower-number regions which are normally rather shitty more valuable; the fifth region ruination to occur in the game prevents further regions from being ruined and ends the game that turn, and Nurgle, whose strategy revolves around corruption and ruination, tends to stay away from low-numbered regions.

Basically, it's important because you can force players not to score a super valuable region by fucking up a shitty early-ordered region.
>>
>>53591108
You need something by GMT, preferably something with a billion different cardboard chits you use to keep track of unique active effects on regions.
GMT is putting out a game later which is basically Mad Max set to Thunder Alley rules.
>>
>>53588339
>oddest way you've ever acquired a game
I picked up a pristine copy of Pandemic at a thrift store. When I say pristine I mean I don't think anyone ever even opened this game - the cards were still in their plastic.

>non-bookshelf storage
Can't answer this one, I'm afraid. Some of my friends friends joked about building me a special gaming chair that had storage space built into it for my birthday, but nothing ever came of it.

>strangest gaming experience
Probably when I was playing Catan. Another player and I had been fighting over the same territory, and I didn't quite realize how frustrated she was getting. I finally managed to box her out of the node she had been trying so hard to build towards, ad she snapped - she picked up the robber, threw it at me, screamed at me for five minutes, and then stormed out never to be seen again.
>>
>>53588549
My father told me a story about a couple who got divorced over the inevitable backstab. They were on the rocks anyway, but it was the final straw.
>>
How would you design a brawling board game (like Tekken or Yakuza or God Hand) WITHOUT dice?
>>
>>53588339
>strangest
nothing super strange, bought all unopened settlers expansions for 40% of retail from some chinese girl off facebook

>non-shelf?
my house has a bar so they sorta live there when we play, by the end of the weekend theres a stack that migrate back to the shelf

>experience?
either werewolf where this one girl who plays the exact same way I do ended up refusing to play with me because of arguments or a game of settlers (base) a few years ago that ballooned out to 3 hours (we average about 40 minutes)
>>
>>53593039
fate cards
chaos tokens
>>
>>53593039
You could take a look at Brawl. It might not be what you want, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Anyway, if I were designing one from scratch, it'd probably be with a deck of cards. Each card would have different effects besides damage, such as invalidating certain types of cards, getting stronger if your opponent played he wrong type of card, forced discards, immediately letting you play another card after the resolution, and so on. Additionally, most cards could be chained into other cards to boost their effects at the expense of making you predictable. Obviously you'd play simultaneously and resolve simultaneously unless the cards say otherwise.
>>
>>53588339
>odd way to get a game
Ultimatley not too weird (buying online from a game store somewhere) but to get Yggdrasil 2nd edition I had to hit the 11th page of google search results and the game store was in a different country. (canada to the US but still)

>>non shelf storage
Oh dear,,, right now every horizontal surface is game storage while I work on throwing up more shelves. Aside from that, though my light/travel games go in a wooden box that used to be for Pyrat Rum.

>>strangest gaming experience
Oh man I've got stories from this, but sadly most of them aren't exactly /bgg/

>RPG, weirdest
Like the time I was begged to run D&D when my group was all bored at a house party but had a BLINDING headache that by necessity or blearyness modified the game a LOT whether by necessity (Players did all rolling because the GM's head was under a stack of pillows), semi-necessity (homebrewed platypus demons with explosive death throes), or pain-and-painkiller reduced insanity (said monsters used Thac0. We were playing 3e. I'd never even played oldschool D&D at that point, just read the books and somehow my brain defaulted to that math)

>MtG, Close second
WAY back to high school. Last (half) day of the school year. Oversized janky Rith deck versus Janky Odyssey/onslaught zombie clerics. Result: after four periods of Rith with Armadillo Cloak trying to make progress against zombies with multiple Righteous Cause and Words of Worship, the game ended when Rith had to draw from an empty library. Rith's life: we stopped counting when it passed a thousand. Zombie clerics life: 1.

>Best actually /bgg/ related
The game: TI3. After a clusterfuck of a penultimate turn involving more space battles than the rest of the game put together and Mecatol Rex being nuked by War Sun, Jol Nar, who sat that whole mess out in their containment area, wins with one little action card: the one that forces a player to choose a different strategy, making Letnev pass on Imperial.
>>
File: IMG_5608.jpg (253KB, 1000x1677px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5608.jpg
253KB, 1000x1677px
I don't know if this is in the right post, but Im working on a set of unnecessary table pieces to lift my games of Talisman. This here is nothing less than the classic Crown of Command. Turned out pretty good IRL, but the quality of the picture is not the best.
>>
>>53591264
>The only aspect of the rules which doesn't seem "natural" to the game
It does make a bit of thematic sense since the invasion from the hordes of chaos comes down from the warp portal in the north pole and chaos creeps southwardly.
It is an odd mechanic tho.
>>
>Package was supposed to arrive yesterday
>Nothing
>Tracking changes to "delayed, will arrive before wednesday"
Fucking postal services
>>
File: Mansions of Madness.png (550KB, 700x397px) Image search: [Google]
Mansions of Madness.png
550KB, 700x397px
What does /bgg/ think of Mansions of Madness
>>
File: here we go.gif (5MB, 648x264px) Image search: [Google]
here we go.gif
5MB, 648x264px
>>53598861
>>
>>53599059
?
>>
>>53598861
Some folks love it - some hate it. You'll have to do a bit of research and come to your own conclusion. There are more than a few review videos on MoM, and you shouldn't have a problem finding 'play-through' videos that go over the rules and actual game play as well.
>>
>>53594398
>explosive death throws
Tell me more
>>
>>53595696
Nice work. I've got 2nd Edition Talisman and most of the expansions. But we only play it once every few years (if that) for shits-n-giggles. That said - I'm sure other folks would love to see any of your other 3D work as well.
>>
>>53599718
So..... Marmite?
>>
File: collection.png (1MB, 1224x827px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
1MB, 1224x827px
Help me /tg/, you are my only hope.

I'm trying to downsize my collection as I have incoming games and I've run out of shelf space. Which games go on the purge list? Probably looking to try and get rid of around 10.

Also looking for discerning tastemakers to rate and suggest a title or two to fill up the void...
>>
>>53600057
If I had to cull from that? Pick 1 from Ashes/Mage Wars/Summoner Wars, that pulls two games with heavy overlap out of your collection. If you've played the entirety of Pandemic Legacy then give it to whichever friend was there with you for the whole thing and let them house the nostalgia. If you don't play with exactly 6 all the time not-Dune can go. If you're really looking to clear shelf space, you might look into auctioning the glut of FFG/GMT you've got; always seem to sell fast on BGG. Either that or math trade them, you'll get good value.
>>
>>53594398
>Mecatol Rex being nuked by War Sun
I thought that explicitly couldn't happen.
>>
>>53599059
Super polarizing. /tg/ in general despises it and will pile on anyone who suggests it's good.

Same with Talisman.
>>
>>53601255
I've seen math trades mentioned before but I don't know what that means
>>
>>53599718
the people who hate it have actually never tried it, they're just poor
>>
>>53602418
Someone posts a list on BGG, you add any games you're willing to trade within the window listed. Then a window opens where you go to an online tool (OWLG) and add what games you want out of what's listed, and which games you've listed you're willing to trade for them. Usually this is a week or two window and once you've submitted your wishlist you're obligated to make the trade. Then once submissions and wishlists are closed the person running the math trade uses the tool to run lists against each other, looking to make the most trades possible. You don't always get your first pick, but the idea is instead of waiting months and years to trade something you want for something you don't a couple hundred people get trades all at once in a bunch of giant circles. If you attend ANY of the major cons the US/Can/EU there's likely a no-ship trade that happens for it, as well as monthly trades for various regions (but you'll have to factor in shipping when you consider your games' worth).

Rahdo did a decent video series on it where he walks through all the mechanics of setting up your lists, adding on to someone else's etc.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-hiERrMk8
>>
>>53602418
You list stuff you want, stuff you have for trade, and a computer decides who mails what to who, so you can set up extremely complicated webs of trades. Like, if you want Dune and have a bunch of common but good games for trade, you'll send away a bunch of random stuff and get Dune even if no one wants to trade Dune for an assorted lot.

>>53602571
I don't like it because all five times I've played it (admittedly it was 1e) the character who finds the first clue tends to rush the game as the other characters just run interference.
I also don't like blatant exploitation of a market, but not enough not to buy EH and CE expacs.
>>
>>53600057
Get rid of your 10 least played games. If you have any hesitation, try to get them out and play them asap and you'll remember why you never get it to the table

Barring that, here's my arbitrary list
>Android
>Arctic Scavengers
>Bang: the Dice Game
>Blood Bowl: TM
>Dixit (put the cards in Mysterium box)
>Doomtown
>PL Season 1 (you finished it right?)
>Space Cadets Dice Duel
>Timeline
>pardon my ignorance on City of Horror and The Mushroom Eaters. I vaguely remember something about a decent mushroom eating game but I thought it was called something else. Anyway, idk, dump one of these too

>>>53602638
I never played 1e. In 2e I don't think that kind of thing happens that often, or at least people tend to switch roles depending on the circumstances (partly attributed to good scenario design, or maybe our playstyle).
>>
>>53602571
>they dislike [stuff], so that must mean they cannot afford [stuff]
stupidest argument I ever read, and I'm a /b/tard
>>
File: burd.jpg (34KB, 452x443px) Image search: [Google]
burd.jpg
34KB, 452x443px
>oddest way you've ever acquired a game?
On business trip to Krautland, have stopover in London for one night. Happens to be opening night of a boardgame cafe in downtown, so I stop by for a bit. Grab an overpriced copy of King of New York with the last of my BongBucks as a gift for my brother whose birthday I'll be flying back on. He appreciates the gift, but loses track of it until a couple months later right after christmas, when he brings it over for a game night and it ends up staying on my shelf with the rest of his games. A year later, cleaning up my brother's workspace after he moved to a different job, I find, buried under some refuse, a shrinkwrapped copy of King of New York. With a price tag sticker in GBP. Brother insists that he didn't buy a new copy to cover up losing the one I got him. Best guess is that he accidentally stole a copy our cousins brought up for christmas, but they deny having lost theirs. Remains a mystery. Brother is probably a lying little shit.

>non-bookshelf storage
Some have wound up in the same cabinet that I store overflow firearms from my gun case in. And Cosmic Encounter lives in a cigar humidor.

>Strangest gaming experience?
Irish Weaboo doing a topless gyrational victory dance around the game table whilst extoling the virtues of his genitalia, Crown Royal, and the Jack-In-The-Box Brunch Burger. Pic related.

>>53602340
Can't be turned into a supernova, but you can absolutely glass it via bombardment.
>>
>>53603583
Epic ginger is epic.
>>
>>53603583
>the last of my BongBucks

KEK! I'll never look at the GBP the same way again...

> Irish Weaboo doing a topless gyrational victory dance...

That is you, right?
>>
>>53603008
>>they dislike [stuff], so that must mean they cannot afford [stuff]
>stupidest argument I ever read, and I'm a /b/tard

Sadly we have no shortage of 'tools' who do nothing but add to the 'noise' side of the signal to noise ratio here. Usually we just ignore them and move on.
>>
File: boardgamesdotpng.png (4MB, 1763x2288px) Image search: [Google]
boardgamesdotpng.png
4MB, 1763x2288px
>>53600057
>seeing significant overlap with my collection
mah melanin-enhanced brother.

I'd junk Pandemic Legacy, Doomtown, WH40k Conquest and Caverna, also pick between Coup/Mascarade and Summoner Wars/Ashes

as for filling the void, look into picking up any combination of Chicago Express, Duel of Ages II, Argent: The Consortium and Shadows of Malice. Bemused is one that is on my radar that I've pre-ordered which may also interest you as well
>>
>>53604027
>That is you, right?
Ha, no. I don't know what the local euphemism for talking about STEEV behind his back is.
>>
>>53600057
Cutting games is always going to be a very personal matter: even terrible games have people who, in the right circumstances, derive a lot of enjoyment from them. Based on a mix of reputation and experience, my arbitrary kill list would be

>Cosmic Encounter
Because I've tried to play with it and have NEVER had fun
>Descent
Because the itch it scratches is one I'd fill with RPGs or other options
>Pandemic Legacy
Legacy games have little to no continuing value.
>Cidadels
If you're really killing for space then keep it because it comes in a nice travel sized box, but otherwise there are better draft games
>Tzolkin
My experience with this one is one of people being frustrated, but I'll admit to having limited experience
>Lords of Vegas
Because the theme really isn't grabby
> Space Hulk and Harry Potter
These go together because their problem is the same: I've heard nothing good and a good deal poor about them.
>Netrunner
Unless you're satisfied with the base set, the meta is a hell labyrinth of ass.
>War of the Ring
I feel like you're overstocked on the big, expansive war games and TI3 and Chaos in the Old World seem better to keep.
> Bonus: Tales of the Arabian Nights
Needs a very specific sort of group that doesn't seem to be reflected in the rest of your stuff. This could be a plus or minus
>>
>>53604736
>> Space Hulk...
> I've heard nothing good and a good deal poor about (it).

Obviously you haven't been asking around here. Both the minis version and the card based version of Space Hulk are well received. I wouldn't pay the 'obnoxious' prices being asked some places for the expansions for the card game, but it has a solid and dedicated following beyond just the 40K fans.
>>
>>53600057
I've been eyeing Tammanny Hall for half a year, can you give me the skinny on it?
>>
>>53604409
And here I thought you were the 'crazy ginger'. :) Ah well, another happy illusion shattered...
>>
>>53604736
>Lords of Vegas
>reason to drop isn't Mayfair related
>>
>>53605086
I'm more like a dolph lundgren who never got into bodybuilding or hair bleach.
>>
File: HexHexbox.jpg (170KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
HexHexbox.jpg
170KB, 480x432px
Are there any other board games which have a heavy focus on runes/sigils/symbols?
>>
>>53605383
Might be a long shot, but Elder Sign and Runescape have symbols integreated into the theme...
>>
>>53600057
Drop 40k Conquest unless you have a dedicated play partner, because you're hardly going to find another.
>>
>>53606916
I meant Rune Wars
>>
>>53600057

Where do your purged games go?
>>
>>53600057
Ditch all but one LCG (Netrunner, Ashes, Doomtown, Game of Thrones, 40k).
You probably don't need so many area control games either (Kemet, Chaos in the Old World, Shogun, Rex, Runewars).
>>
>>53607499
since when is collecting shit about needing it?
>>
>>53607626
Never, but anon asked for suggestions on what to cut down on. If he's in love with those games I'm sure he'll ignore me, but if not it's a good idea to cut down on size while not sacrificing much in the way of variety of games.
>>
I cracked yesterday and bought Arkham Horror LCG despite planning not to buy any expansions. Just read the booklets and it sounds rather complex on a theoretical point of view but also quite fluid.
I also purchased Saboteur 2 because I needed a game for quite a bit of people. Still, I don't understand the extra roles, the boss in particular. Mind shedding some light?
>>
>>53604736
War of the Ring is effectively a 2 player game only, while Chaos is effectively 4 players only and TI3 is 5+.

They're also very different games. WotR isn't really heavy, and is largely about theme.

Finally, WotR is the best game out of the three. I'd never get rid of WotR.
>>
>>53604393
How's Wiz-War?
>>
>>53610248
Not that anon, but I also have it and I love it, it's a light hearted, fast paced rampage of "fuck you!" spell slinging.
Might not be your jam if you prefer brainy puzzles with low interaction or non confrontational coops. Wiz War is unapologetically ameritrashy and it's a blast to play.
>>
>>53610441
From what you said, that sounds like it's my kind of game. How accessible is it to normies since that's all I can play with?
>>
>>53593039
BattleCON. If you specifically mean one vs mooks brawling, that may be more difficult.
>>
>>53610642
You can teach non gamers how it plays in 5 minutes.
Rules are super simple, you may move 3 spaces per turn, you may cast 1 attack spell and however many neutral spells you want during your move. Your goal is to get 2 points, every enemy treasure stolen and transported back to your base is worth 1 point, every opponent's head is worth 1 point, you decide how you get the points.
Every spell card details what type of spell it is and what its effects are and (this might be the only hurdle your players encounter, there's a bit of a learning curve) there are a lot of different effects and interactions.
>>
>>53610719
I wonder if you could 1 vs many with the BattleCON system via the Fury of Dracula combat rules
>>
>>53610760
Perfect, thanks anon
>>
>>53588370

Uwe games:

Agricola is fun, but it's a very punishing game--you're almost always going to feel like you're just scraping by. Old version has some balance issues in the occupation cards, not sure about 2016.

Caverns is mechanically similar to Agricola, but it's a lot more forgiving. Might not hold up over as many plays as Agricola because there's less setup variance, but conversely with as many options always available as Caverna has, you're more free to decide "This game I will be the sheeplord".

Le Havre is quite good, and gets away from "Get more workers ASAP" being a thing, because you only ever have one. Good luck finding it in print without spending a bajillion dollars, though.

Ora et Labora I haven't played.

A Feast for Odin is fun, introducing a puzzle mechanic as you try to fill your board(s), and again keeps everyone on an even footing for worker count, constantly increasing over the course of the game. Also makes it reasonably easy to not starve. The occupation cards are pretty underpowered, but it's still great.
>>
Dear colleagues, please recommend me a two-player wargame with simple rules and a 30-minute playtime. (And by 'wargame' I mean area control with dudes on a detailed map, not a war-themed engine builder like Small World.)

Does such a thing even exist?
>>
>>53611129
The point of the 2016 Agricola overhaul is exactly to fix the balance issues. The 2016 Agricola comes with around 100 cards.

Then there's plans for a 2018 "pro" Agricola release with 1000 rebalanced cards.

All in all, Agricola is the game that's gonna be updated and supported.
>>
>>53611159
Ogre?
>>
>>53588370

Non-Uwe I don't know quite as much about, but...

Keyflower: Uses auction mechanics combined with worker placement. No starvation but it's cutthroat as fuck. A big recommend from me.

Archipelago: Part co-op part competitive. You explore the archipelago, build towns, and whatnot, trying to outprofit each other, but you also have to collectively manage unrest or you all lose, so bargaining and trading does happen. Great game, theme and art kind of stumble into "kinda racist" territory, if that bothers you.

Argent: the Consortium : Wizards! Non-agriculture! Shooting spells at opponents to screw them over! Hidden objectives that you can spend actions to discover! A bajillion goddamn options! It's a lot of fun, but hoo boy is there a lot going on in this one; it can get kinda clunky. Worth a look, though, because what other euro lets you research forbidden magics?

The Colonists: Haven't played it but I've heard a lot of glowing praise.
>>
>>53611159
Nexus Ops
>>
I'll try to pitch the worst board game design. Ready?

Cthulhu Legacy
dice based combat
app required
co-op
unpainted resin
150 bucks
fflight production value
loredump on cards
traitor/cultist mechanic and third player DLC

Can it be made worse somehow?
>>
>>53604736
what is better than citadels? i remember enjoying it when i played it with a large group. suggestions, especially for like 3-4 players?
>>
>>53611593
Kickstarter stretch goals promises "physical manual", goal is unmet. Forced to use companion app.
>>
>>53611593
Ill take 8
>>
How's Shadow Hunters? Vassel says it replaced Bang! on his shelf. It's not exactly cheap.
>>
File: setup3.jpg (358KB, 1600x991px) Image search: [Google]
setup3.jpg
358KB, 1600x991px
>>53588339
>Twilight Struggle
I ended up getting that game as a graduation present for myself because I already played autistic map painters on PC and wanted to up upgrade to boardgames and heard this game was a good entry point, but because of how life ended up that copy of the game is now under a bed several states away, the box still unopened. I even found some people with whom I could've played with right before I had to leave too :/

Speaking of map games, what's /bgg/'s opinion of Calandale? I found his channel a while back and I'm guessing he's known as some bigshot from BoardGameGeek based on how often he mentions that site.

Also, I was considering picking up picrelated on Amazon, is it any good?
>>
>>53611729
I own it, it's fine, but to be quite honest, I 'd rather play bang the dice game now. Accomplishes pretty much the same thing, about as random, but much faster and less fiddly (not that Shadow Hunter is fiddly, but Bang TDG is even simpler)
>>
>>53611129
Good list anon; there's also Glass Road and Fields of Arle which I've heard both play a little closer to Odin than Agricola, but I have 0 experience with them.

>>53611159
Memoir 44? It's more about victory conditions than area control though
>>
File: Last Will.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Last Will.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
Should I?
>>
>>53611342
Robinson Crusoe is basically the Agricola starvation experience except in a cooperative format.
>>
>>53588339
How do I play this game in the OP, friends?
>>
>>53611129
>>53611342
Thanks my man, i said le havre because we'll have it here in brazil around july ( expansion included) and it looks neat and its 5 players. Probably its a global print because its all printed in china.

Im was really leaning towards caverna , my only problem is the game length, i dont think my group has the necessary attention span nor the patience to play a game like that.( I think i have to find a better group ). We'll also have simultaneous caverna 2p launch , maybe ill grab that.

Aaaaand agricola 2016 is only 4 players. My group is 5 people and the publisher here do not have plans to launch the expansion.

Feast for odin looks sick af and i'll probably buy it to play 2p with my GF ( isnt fields of arle a feast for odin for 2? )
>>
File: BrynVictorious.png (583KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BrynVictorious.png
583KB, 1200x1000px
>>53612097
First I post my board game waifu, then you lose because she's already best girl
>>
>>53611805
pls respond
>>
>>53612124
shit game desu senpai
>>
>>53612167
Absolutely, I played half of a game and walked away from the demo table before it ended, that doesn't mean she's not awesome.
>>
>>53612195
Well, I didn't mean her game, I meant the game of Twilight Snuggle we just played.
>>
>>53611729
As I've experienced, Shadow Hunters is pretty great. It's got dice rolling, which might put some people off, but it's also a game with a heavy social deduction aspect where you are actually moderatley in charge of your fate because rather than being few versus many, the sides are balanced and you just don't know who your ally is. It's a more meaty experience than, say, Coup, but it doesn't tend to overstay its welcome either, and there are a lot of strategic avenues to consider. I've seen players lurk all the way to the endgame with great success but then I've also seen someone get revealed on turn 1, as a Shadow no less, and still pull it off turning the game into a fisticuff deathmatch.

IMO, the Neutrals really help make the game, since they provide a buffer between the factions and several of them encourage fairly volatile play. That's why I'd really only bother with 5+
>>
>>53611593
Card drafting
Grossly imbalanced assymmetric factions
Gimp strategy where someone wins by losing
Feed your dudes or get a harsh penalty
Augmented reality animated miniature combat
Random map generation and objectives
Cryptozoic and/or Eric Lang are involved somehow
>>
Does anyone have eyes on the Seafall Captain's Booke? I'd love to just crack it open to get a better idea of the game's design, but I don't want to spend 80 bucks to do so.
>>
anon, i got fedup with SPM bullshit, requested refind for legends KS and put my SDE collection on sale.

now searching for some dungeon crawlan with strinkle of tactic. Could you recommend me some good board game? hard mode: not SDE, Descent2 or conan.
>>
>>53612270
I'm still playing the closed beta rules, they might've changed you'd have to ask the designer anon.

>>53612379
>fed up with SPM bullshit
What'd they do?
>>
>>53612304
Why? Do you already own 'SeaFail'? I've seen very little in the way of positive feedback on it, and plenty of experienced gamers noting how easy it is for one gain a run-away advantage and just dominate the whole of the mid and late game. Sounds totally 'un-fun'.
>>
>>53612443
undermanaged and poorly organized SDE: Legends kickstarter. i've had a stupidity to invest in that mess, and because of that has missed kdm1.5. now there is shitty updates and SPM won't give straight answer about a state of the project.
>>
>>53611593
>Co-op
Hi STEEV
>>
>>53612298
See! That's the kind of initiative we like to see around here. We don't just hit rock bottom and stop. Oh no! We get out the picks and shovels and keep going! (Kek!)

>>53612443
>>fed up with SPM bullshit
>What'd they do?

Not the Anon you're asking - but IIRC they started doing the random content boxes (i.e. the MTG Commons/Uncommon/Rare bullshit) which turned off a lot (A LOT) of the original fan base.
>>
>>53612007
If you real
>>
>>53612538
Gotcha; I always got the feeling that game would take quite a bit longer than the arena version because balanced campaigns are tricky. Not surprised they have some management issues, seems like the company is spending more time on the Ninja Division parent company and buying up/distributing other people's games lately than working on what got them started.

>>53612552
That'd be Krosmaster, starting in S3
>>
>>53612615
>That'd be Krosmaster, starting in S3

Doh! My bad. Thank you for the correction.
>>
>>53610719
that's already possible with EX and Almighty bases, or boss characters
>>
>>53611593
I'd play it, but I already own and love MoM 2nd ed
>>
>>53590562
>>53591264
>>53590800

Where do you even get Chaos in the world now?
>>
>>53612615
arena is mess too: rules are copy-pasted from FK without correction? and empty "standalone" box.

i would like to return to my question:
is Krosmaster good? is it good as tactical game? does it depend on expansions ?
i've checked and there is many sellers of old figurines, so maybe it will be a good perlacement of tactical part of SDE.

also how bad is Krosmaster: quest? most reviewrs said it's kinda meh.
>>
Do people here like Inis? I'm really interested in finally grabbing it...
>>
>>53612797
>Where do you even get Chaos in the world now?

Board Game Geek - 'Geek Bazaar'. Price range from $75 to $250. Weeee!
>>
>>53612803
Sorry missed that you asked about Krosmaster in the first one.

Base game was always a very light, but fun, skirmish game; basically AQ with lighter rules and no painting required. If you were interested in tourney playing the season boxes were both good and awful; you could only have 1 of each rare in a 3 man team, but you often wanted 2 of a specific common, which meant buying multiple boxes and unloading the rares on the secondary, or giving them away/not using them. Junior took the already stripped down ruleset which was good for small kids, and turned it into a game good for REALLY small kids. Quest...... I wasn't impressed, granted I only played one or two sessions of it, but it's not the campaign I'm looking for (no board game is there yet).

Depending on expansions would be only if you wanted to have ultra competitive games. That's part of what really screwed up Japanime when they moved from season boxes to blind boosters. They were already blind in the EU, but the game got a following here as a light quick arena for casual play, they wanted to create a tourney scene and the player base just wasn't there.

Also keep in mind if you buy into Krosmaster 2.0 now or Quest, you're dealing with CMoN, so you're trading one plastic pusher with issues, for another, with a whole host of their own (different) issues.

>>53612888
Some really enjoy it, someone will post the "All the games you like are bad" review and say it's shit. If you want the upside watch the last 15 minutes or so of the Gamenight! episode, their reviews tend to be more balanced and less about shitting on something or pure hype.
>>
>>53612923
>plastic pusher
*plastic publisher
>>
>>53612923
>Some really enjoy it, someone will post the "All the games you like are bad" review and say it's shit.

I don't have a problem with 'negative' reviews when the reviewer actually has valid points about what they dislike and why (even if I disagree with their points). It's the "Mah favorite color is Green, and the designer used Purple - therefore is suckzors!" reviews that need to die in a fire along with "ZOMG! I'm a SJW - Lulz!" douche-nozzles. I just can't watch Rahdo because he's way to damn disjointed and disorganized in his presentations (as much as I like his enthusiasm). Nor can I watch SDSU - piss weak humor, combined with 'Mah SJW' autism is not for me. I can deal with 'All the games you like are bad' dude because he actually can get to a point about why he likes or dislikes the game mechanics.
>>
>>53612970
>plastic pusher
>*plastic publisher

No, I think you had it right the first time.
>>
>>53612717
underrated reply
>>
>>53612923
> asked about Krosmaster in the first one.
not really about Krosmaster, but atm looking for good dungeon crawl with tactical part. or several separate games: one for dungeon crawlan, one for tactical skirmish, and third is gloomhaven (for rpg-out-of-the-box experience)

>you're dealing with CMoN
aren't they have rights to distribute in USA only?
>>
>>53613083
Agreed his reviews are better than a lot out there, I just can't stand the up-nose camera angle and his reviews were getting shilled pretty damn hard the last couple months which got annoying. There's really not one great reviewer, just a bunch of people who either hype too much, complain too much, or you've gotta watch a 30 minute waffling session with bad production values.

>>53613136
Well yes, but I wanted to be clear

>>53613162
Yes? It might still be Ankama in the EU, but Ankama was also shitty about blind boxes from the start. If you're looking for dungeon crawl I'm still not sure Krosmaster is it, but if you just want 1v1/2v2/FFA it's worth looking into.
>>
>>53599744
Not throws, I think, but throes. The final writhing and struggle when something dies. Often referred to in snakes, because it's super obvious with them.
>>
>>53612803
Better to play the online version (krosmaster arena) really. Or at elast to test if you like the game.
I play another Ankama game, Wakfu, and while the ideas and things are great, the company tends to fuck you over at every possible turn, mostly due to incompetence and internal affairs.
>>
>>53613679
i want to play it with family and friends and none of them want to play some mmo casuls...

played it myself, rules were ok, should be deep enough, but not too deep from the start to play at home. also it's kinda cheap here, if i'm willing to buy old packs each will be ~17$? 3-4 of them and it should have great replayability.
but probably should play several rounds with family members to check if it is good enough.

and yes ankama isn't best publusher: love wakfu style, but hate overall balance and grindfest.

ok. here are other candidates:
Massive darkness
Warhammer quest : silver tower
both could take slot "dungeon crawlan"

looked at zombicide:BP, but it looks primitive, imo.
>>
>playing agnes baker in ahlcg
>Mfw sniping stupid owls outside of my turn with forbidden knowledge
God I love this game
>>
File: collection.jpg (239KB, 1072x760px) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
239KB, 1072x760px
R8 my collection guys.
Just ordered Mechs vs Minions and its the biggest buy I had until now, probably the last for a while since its gotten so big that I don't get to play half my games.
>>
File: My Collection 2017-05-20.png (4MB, 1219x2808px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-05-20.png
4MB, 1219x2808px
>>53615255
I never could get into Smash Up. How is Hero Realms? And I'd definitely like to snag a copy of City of Horror / Mall of Horror some day.

Collection too big? Unpossible! (Pic related).
>>
It looks like he lost his Hi Energy. What happened? You could have saved him /bgg/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xX4jHZZQzw
Is crosstalk really that good?
>>
>>53612888
Inis looks pretty cool.
I'd grab it solely for the art desu.
>>
I'm afraid my purchases/storage space is all very normal. My weirdest experience was that creepy douche that wouldn't shut up about maglev trains, and I later found out was creepy to some of the women at the meetup.
>>53588117
Sorry, but the wi-fi at the NEC/my hotel wasn't exactly great. As for upcoming releases... eh. Most of them are using Kickstarter, and to be honest most of them didn't look like anything I'd enjoy. I did play one demo, but that was mostly because the designer is a friend of mine; he made Dodekka and Mijnlieff. I thought the game is good, but maybe a tiny bit fiddly. Not sure if I'll back it.
>>53588549
>>53592581
>get a copy of Diplomacy
>never play it
>little brother is kind of into board games
>give it to him as a Christmas present, mostly for the lulz
>tfw he and his housemates at the time still won't speak to each other
For the longest time, I thought the game was responsible. Turns out it was over unpaid bills, but I still wonder...
>>53611729
It's amazing, but if cost is an issue then listen to >>53611916
>>53612167
I like it for what it is - a beer & pretzels card game that abstracts the concept of trying not to get too pissed. It's over-priced, but I'd still play it if offered the opportunity and the other options were playing shit like Exploding Kittens or Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft
>>
Any advice on finding good places to play board games? I live in a rural area and the only place I had been to, while run fairly well except for some shady stuff by the management (towards employees), people were all very socially awkward or otherwise autsistic/aspie (not that I'm very neurotypical myself though but I went to college and have a professional job). On top of that, they all seem interested in just MTG or video games like LoL, OW, CS:GO, etc.

Any advice for finding a board game place that has relatively "normal" clientele? I like in-jokes and the nerd/geek culture but sometimes people just act unsettling unintentionally and with the little free time I have I'd like to avoid that.
>>
>>53616506
Check meetup.com or ask your LGS if they have board game nights/ events for boardgames

Hobbyist will usually play with other hobbyists they know privatley in their own home, so your only way to meet truly decent people will be at LGS game specific events.

Also check BGG's gamer finder
>>
>>53616703
>Wonder what meetup.com has for my area
>There's a 900 people group that gets together to paly risk
>Fucking risk
>900 people
I knew normies were plebs but this makes me sick
>>
File: Eraserhead1.jpg (7KB, 369x200px) Image search: [Google]
Eraserhead1.jpg
7KB, 369x200px
>>53617192
Wew
>Check my meetup
>Europhiles
I'd be down if it was fun euros but they got shit listed like power grid
>>
>>53616506
My weird and useless advice for finding meetups is: Fencing/HEMA Clubs. Weirdly consistent tendency to attract socially functional nerds who also have reasonably hygiene habits and an unusually high rate of interest in hobbyist board games or tabletop RPGs.
>>
>>53615255
Collection's been growing huh, Israelbro?
>>
>>53617387
Sorry Bubba, ameritrash games are for trash people.
>>
>>53611593
>no social deduction or "humorous" theme.
Still playable.
>>
>>53617387
Sounds like cool people. It's probably for the best you're not joining them. Maybe you should try going to a convention and find some people to play Cards Against Humanity work.
>>
>>53611593
Random insert booster expansions.
>>
>>53617387
Poor fuckers are casting their pearls before swine. I'd kill to find a group that wanted to play Power Grid on the regular instead of maybe getting one game of Splendor in between rounds of Codenames and Anomia.
>>
>>53618348
>>53618439
>>53618598
>Attack of the Europlebs
Holy fuck you are made of glass. Just because I dislike powergrid doesn't mean I don't wanna play other eurogames you elitist fucks.
>>
>>53618699
>>53618598
>>53618348
>>53618439
The only GOOD euro games are Go and Dominion. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53618809
Explain how is Go an euro style game please?
>>
>>53618860
Effectively no luck, no elaborate theme, you fight for points scored at the end of the game.
>>
>>53615812
I almost forgot to dump my purchases...

>10 Days in America
>Buccaneer Bones
>Click Clack Lumberjack
>Clown Standoff
>Dobble
>Double Feature
>Family Business
>Iota
>Mottinai

I considered other stuff, like the Batman Dice Game, Cat Tower and Star Realms, but I prefer to keep some money at the end of a con. I don't know why, I just do
>>
>>53611805
Fortress America is pretty fun. Can go on for a long while.

Red will have a miserable, but important time.
>>
>>53612492
I don't own it. I'm interested in reading it's printed material, to get a better idea as to what does and doesn't work about it.
>>
>>53618699
I mean you did specifically mention you don't want to join because they're Europhiles, and that they like games "like power grid". But go ahead and tell us - what are "fun euros" in your mind?
>>
>>53618809
Go is an abstract desu
But it's a good game yes, possibly the best game

>>53619486
Patchwork (might be too abstract)
A Feast for Odin
Splendor
Seasons
Castles of Burgandy
Suburbia

Do I need to keep going?... My main caveat was that Power Grid seems to be one of the main games they play and I dislike that specific game. Not that I just hate games like it pillock.
>>
>>53619338
Gotcha. I looked on BGG but I don't see a copy of the rules there. Perhaps on the designer's site? At any rate - good luck. I think a lot of people wanted to like this game, but the bad mechanics / balance issues just kill it.
>>
>>53619629
>Seasons
>a euro
Wut.
>>
>>53618402
>traitor mechanic
>>
>>53611159
2 player Inis is sublime. Becomes chess after you learn the game.
>>
>>53612888
I'm currently on an Inis shill spree. It's seriously fantastic. The BS people spout about the randomness of the draft is crap. It's controllable, it's the point. The art is gorgeous and the combat is great.
>>
>>53609017
>and TI3 is 5+.
TI3 is 4-5 unless you have six spare hours.
>>
>>53611593
>fflight production value
Unless they've gotten chintzy this is a neutral kinda thing.
>>
>>53620539
>4-5
Don't let STEEV hear you say that, I'm pretty sure he threw out his plastic for any more than 4p
>>
>>53620608
I'm pretty sure he messaged FFG for extra plastic for his wedding and got it.
>>
>>53620539
4 or less isn't as fun. The diplomacy aspect suffers a lot.
>>
>>53620753
Yeah, but the not-spending-twelve-hours-in-a-single-game aspect is really improved.
>>
BUMPING FOR GREAT JUSTICE
>>
>>53620914
I've played core with 3, 4, and 6. I've heard 6 is better with the expansion that technically enables up to 8 players, so far I'd say 4 was ideal with just the core set since it has much less one versus many than 3 player.
>>
File: 5bc.png (40KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
5bc.png
40KB, 625x626px
Monopoly is a Euro
>>
>>53622861
>not realising monopoly is an LCG, they release a standalone expansion to it every year.
>>
Played Stone Age for the first time today. It felt very repetitive by the halfway point. There was nothing particularly stimulating about it strategy-wise and the resolution phase after each round really bogged it down. The "Christmas" cards were nice but they should've gone farther with it. Overall I'm gonna pass on it next time
>>
File: BoardGaymes.png (96KB, 1038x353px) Image search: [Google]
BoardGaymes.png
96KB, 1038x353px
>>53616703
>meetup.com
Better stuff in wider ranges, but anytime I try to do something geek related this always happens.

(The gay poker club, not into that, but whenever I try to do geekstuff it points to gaystuff...)
>>
>>53622855
The whole game is better with the expansion, but 4 I think is still ideal.

>>53620914
This is the real crux of it, the additional players lengthen the game for anyone without contributing much but downtime to any players experience.

>>53620753
Disagree. I find diplomacy with the players you're not actually butting up against to be relatively uninteresting.

>>53620608
>>53620641
Strictly speaking, I don't actually own TI3 at all, it's a friend's copy that I'm babysitting while he's in the navy.
And I conned FFG into sending me a free second set of everything BUT the plastic. I think it was TI3Chick that got the free plastic off of them.
>>
>>53624333
hmm, sucks to be rural I guess. I'm in a suburban area and I have 3 general board game meetups within 10 miles (though only 1 of them is any good) and I could go a few more miles away to the city for endless groups (there's even a regularly meeting BattleCON meetup, though I've never been)
>>
File: 1328916184355.jpg (13KB, 250x265px) Image search: [Google]
1328916184355.jpg
13KB, 250x265px
>>53624333
Euro Games... Gay Poker... Same thing, right?
>>
File: 1487550871615.jpg (25KB, 539x1104px) Image search: [Google]
1487550871615.jpg
25KB, 539x1104px
>>53616703
>>53617192
>>53617387
How have I never heard of this site?
Why is half of the board-game meetups in my area for gays?
Have I been living under a rock believing board gaming was for well-adjusted individuals whom enjoy playing with childrens toys?
Are half the people on /tg/ gay?
What the fuck nintendo?
>>
>>53620000
>2 player Inis is sublime. Becomes chess after you learn the game.
How is it better/worse than chess?
>>
>>53625983
>Have I been living under a rock believing board gaming was for well-adjusted individuals whom enjoy playing with childrens toys?
Board games is the most normie activity in the world. Literally everyone plays board (or card) games.
>>
>>53625983
>Why is half of the board-game meetups in my area for gays?

This is why gay faggots piss me off.
>No no we're not just people who want to play board games, we're GAY people who want to play board games. Also, we're gay. Did I mention that we're gay yet? Well we are, totally gay.

If your defining personality trait is that you're gay then you should go burn in a fire with the rest of the faggots.
>>
>>53626261
You fancy him don't you? You can admit it.
>>
>>53626261
It's alright anon, you can open up to us, we won't judge you.
>>
File: noose.jpg (183KB, 728x1000px) Image search: [Google]
noose.jpg
183KB, 728x1000px
>>53625983
>How dare people want to meet people they can relate too/fuck

I am gay and I play boardgames desu. I wouldn't go to a gays only meetup but I can understand why a lot of gay people would. I don't think you can really understand it unless you are gay though.

Just think of it as, a lot of gays see themselves divided from society which is why there are usually gay editions of lots of hobby meets

Also both boardgaming and the gay community have a high number of autistic-types ;^)
>>
File: genders.jpg (110KB, 873x929px) Image search: [Google]
genders.jpg
110KB, 873x929px
>>53626261
I feel you.
No idea why they would want to exclude normal dudes, pretty sure you would rather have more people attend your meetups.

Plus, not like they're randomly going to bust out an all-in orgy dicksuckfest.that non-gays can't participate in (no homo).
>>
>>53626854
Literally no one said you couldn't go closet-fag, I've seen women and straight men at gay meetups. Just don't be fucking surprised when someone talks about something gay
>>
>>53626826
>How dare people want to meet people they can relate too/fuck
I'm not offended - just legitimately surprised that there are more gay groups looking to play board games than all other groups combined.

>Just think of it as, a lot of gays see themselves divided from society which is why there are usually gay editions of lots of hobby meets
Fair enough, but it sucks to see that when I'm having trouble getting another person in my area to play something that isn't LoL/CS/DotA/MtG.

Might be time to stray to the dark side.
>>53626261
This dude looks keen
>>
>>53626899
"straight" men at gay meetups
No anon no, you won't find straight men at your thinly disguised poz fest.
>>
>>53626919
You might as well anon. I don't think that you'd be outcast from the group for liking women as long as you're a decent person. Hell if you like being complimented then that usually happens too. The worst that could happen is you turn up and all they play is fucking zombicide or something.

>>53626933
>It's an anon thinks AIDs is even that relevant anymore
Back to the 80s fag
>>
>>53615329
Hero realms is just way to fast, it feels more snowbally and gives you less comeback potential, stick to SR.

>>53617978
Yes it has! nice of you to notice me
>>
So, I'm looking into getting Archipelago and was just curious of your guys take on it?
>>
>>53617192
I'm lucky I have friends who form 2 groups I can play boardgames with. Looking into this website, it seems like I would be ejected the instant I accidentally swear or anything. They're all such goodie goodie meetups bragging about how inclusive and friendly they all are.

Anyways. I made a new regular friend for my first time in a while at a FLGS. We met playing Armada and a few weeks later, he expressed interest in boardgames and I invited him over.
>>
>"PLZ GIVE US THE SAME RIGHTS AND THE SAME CONSIDERATION, WE ARE THE SAME AS YOU AND WE WANT OUR PLACE IN SOCIETY"
>"What's that? A hetero in our board games gatherings? Ew. Better make our own gay-only groups."
Gay people.
>>
>>53627842
>"PLZ HATE GAY PEOPLE WITH ME IN THIS BOARD GAMES GENERAL ON A TRADITIONAL GAMES BOARD"
>"Go away autist"
>"REEEEE REEEEE REEEEEE"
I'd tell you to go back to /pol/ but I imagine your response will be screaming "FALSE FLAG FALSE FLAG DXXX NEVER BEEN ON POL" at me

So instead, just jump infront of a car. Infact you can look 5 posts up and see that hetero people aren't fucking banned from gay bg groups retard
>>
>>53627936
Then what's the point of making it so fucking big and clear that they're gay? Literally no-one gives a fuck except them. You don't go to a board game gathering for the sausagefest, you go there to fucking play.
It's just attentionwhoring, which is even worse.
>>
>>53627966
Care to contradict yourself a little less? If no one gives a fuck why are you sitting here whining about it?
>>
>>53627212
it's fucking great anon, highly recommend it.
>>
>>53628069
You fail to see my point. It's especially BECAUSE there's no point in showing it that it shouldn't be here and it's nothing but attentionwhoring. Sorry that I hurt your gay sensibilities but there's little point in arguing with someone who doesn't understand arguments. Just like your boss isn't supposed to give a fuck about your skin color or your sexual orientation when hiring you, sexual orientation is of no fucking consequence when you make a group. Fucking hell, my boss back when I did my internship in Berlin was a lesbian and, when my mentor actually asked me if it was a problem, I answered with "why should I give a fuck?" because it's the right thing.

You're gay? Okay, that's your business. Just don't shove in everyone's face, just like they probably wouldn't like me saying I fuck women. Oh wait, I fuck cisgender women, perhaps that is better for you, considering we're bordering on newspeak even here on 4chan recently.
>>
>>53626157
by no means is it better.

It just becomes a duel where you can grasp the entire board state just by looking at it, know what your opponent to doing/pushing for and you play around it.
>>
>>53628163
I always feel "wrong" playing a 3+ with two people.
>>
>>53628153
Again you're contradicting yourself.

How is having a boardgame group with the premise of it being for gay guys "shoving it in your face"? There are groups for only women too, do you think those are shoved in your face?

And how is it attentionwhoring if it's a fucking hobby group? I fail to understand where you are coming from because it's not like your fucking LGS has been gayed up or anything. You're just mad that a semi-public hobby group might have requirements.

Hell by your same stupid arguments I could say the same thing about gentlemans clubs and the freemasons. How dare they have requirements for joining!

Of course though you're an irrational thinker who just keeps assuming and assuming anyway, nothing I say will change your mind and you will continue to argue until you keel over from your eventual stress induced heart attack.
>>
>>53628181
agreed, still works, just not as good as 2 or 4. Keen for 5th player expansion, hopefully it wont slow it down, new action cards are faster
>>
>>53628163
>by no means is it better.
So it's worse than chess? I don't quite get what you're saying.
>>
>>53628593
He's saying it's like chess in the way in the sense of having perfect information, not comparing how good it is.
>>
>>53628212
You do know this isn't facebook right? Virtue signalling won't get you faggot likes here.
>>
>>53628805
Not an argument :)
>>
>>53628212
>There are groups for only women too, do you think those are shoved in your face?
There are reasons to those because some men can be feminist pigs and some cases can lead to harassment. Also, I don't complain when my gf decides to do "women only outgoings" because I understand that female people, just like males, can feel the need to be together as members of the same sex. But this has nothing to do with sexual preferences. If, as you said, it's a group that publicly says "we're a gay group" BUT doesn't actually make it "gay only", it's just as >>53626261 said: attentionwhoring. It doesn't have any logical reason to it (the group is not excluding people that do not share the same sexual preference) and it's not in any way linked to the actual purpose of the group (you are in a board game group to play board games, like I said above). It's useless information, for the sake of being there.

>gentlemans clubs and the freemasons
This is because those people share rules and values and those are the center of the community they're trying to build, preventing invasion of people with values that go against those of the gathering. It's not comparable AT ALL with the case above. It would be comparable if it was a board game group letting in people who exclusively play video games, because it doesn't have any link to the cohesion of the group and those people have zero reasons of being there.

If it was a social gathering of gay people for meetups leading to eventual sexual intercourses, I would have understood every part of the "we're a gay group", and even more it it was "gay-only" because here the "gay" part plays a fundamental role into the actual activity inside the gathering, which IS NOT the case with the board game group above.

No matter how you twist it, you are wrong, they are wrong and simply attentionwhoring.
>>
>>53629005
My apologies, I meant "misogynist pigs" because you caught what I meant, I believe.
>>
>>53629005
There are reasons to gay boardgame groups. Because some people can be cunts like you and some cases can lead to harassment. I don't complain when my bf decides to do "gay only outgoings" because I can understand that gays, just like all other humans, can feel the need to be able to relate to those they spend time with.

There's no winning with you about the attentionwhoring aspect as I said, because you seem to have some retarded vision of what that term means in your head. It is definetly linked to the purpose of the group as it provides a space for GAY PEOPLE WHO LIKE BOARDGAMES to meet GAY PEOPLE WHO LIKE BOARDGAMES.

And then you go onto talking about people who share the same rules and values? The same thing a gay boardgame group would be fucking set up for?

I'm also not twisting shit. I'm just watching you stumble over your own words over and over and over. No matter how many times you reply, I will continue to be able to refute because you are a fucking idiot that cant come up with a single point outside of you being furious at the thought that gay people might want a group they can feel comfortable in.

In other words: people like you are the reason these groups exist.
>>
>>53629137
So now, sexual preference is very important when you deal with a hobby in which this parameter should have little to no relevance? This world is going to shit. If you need a space with tolerance, just write "politically incorrect speech unwanted", that encompasses more notions to create a nice group and you won't be called out like this group is being right now on in this discussion.
>No matter how many times you reply, I will continue to be able to refute because you are a fucking idiot
Why are you being so offensive? Did I hit a nerve somewh-
>I don't complain when my bf decides to do "gay only outgoings"
Oh my bad, we're dealing with a cuckold. Nothing to see here, move along guys.
>>
>>53628805

By the same token, nobody cares whether you're taking it up the ass nightly and have a lisp major enough to be called a parody or if you're literally Hitler and want them all gassed. This is /bgg/ we care about board games.

On that note, ideal player count? Not for any particular game, but for game nights in general. 4 would seem to open up the most games at their ideal counts, but does anyone have good experiences with other numbers?
>>
File: gmt1101-16_1.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gmt1101-16_1.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>53629198
>Cuck cuck cuck XDDD

I already explained why they are formed some posts up. If gays hadn't been treated like freaks for such a long time it wouldn't have been formed. The reason the gay community exists is because gays have been divided from society for a very long time, it's not like everything is suddenly ok because gay marriage was passed in amerishitland.

Come back to me when you get yelled at for holding your partners hand in public for no reason other than your partner is the same sex as you and we can have a chat about it then ok? Otherwise you have almost no place in this argument if your only point is that it's """"""attentionwhoring"''''' (in which I strongly suggest you go look up a definition because attentionwhoring would imply a proactive attempt to get attention, not the creation of a group THAT STRAIGHT PEOPLE CAN COME TOO /IF THEY WANT/ because maybe they know someone there)

But at the end of the day you're some random autist on /bgg/ for all I know you could be a fat smelly magic player in which I can see why you hold these views.

Anyway, I was thinking about buying Sekigahara. Any opinions on it? Is it easy to teach people to play? I don't really have any wargaming enthusiasts so the people I would play with would be semi-hobbyists.
>>
>>53611593
Kickstarter exclusive mini-expansions
Unique symbols on dice
App only works with sound on
Mini colors are grey, brown, slightly brown yellow, slightly brown orange, shit-stain green
Standard Box has slots for KS-exclusive content
Paper money
>>
>>53629253
I prefer 5 but that's because my main games I throw out at longer game nights are Battlestar Galactica and Millennium Blades

But I guess it depends on what you feel like playing
>>
>>53629300
Make sure the Kickstarter-only content is essential, too. It can't just be something fun or pretty, it needs to provide an answer to a degenerate strategy, provide an expanded mode of playing, or something else that'll make it painful if you miss out on it.
>>
File: Big guy.jpg (79KB, 624x624px) Image search: [Google]
Big guy.jpg
79KB, 624x624px
The most faithful adaptation of the Blood Bowl board game is fumbbl.com, a free java /sprite based format.

https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=9828&op=view One of the best, most watched private leagues on fumbbl is having a rookies only season. Come grab a spot on the bottom floor and raise with everyone else.

Make an [L] team, apply to the group and message https://fumbbl.com/~MauledByTheTigers to get in.

Easy as that! Sign ups end soon!
>>
>>53629253
I'd say 3-5 is my ideal count but I wish there were more games for 6 people that aren't too hard so that I can play them with my normie family
>>
>>53629930
If I had more time in my schedule then I'd love to give this a try
>>
>>53626179
>Board games is the most normie activity in the world. Literally everyone plays board (or card) games.
U wot?
The average normies plays some popular shitty games mostly, mostly only as last entertainment resort, and don't even know good modern board games exist.
>>
File: v22.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
v22.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>All this bedwetting over whether or not a gay meetup might hypothetically be attentionwhoring or prejudiced against straight people for some reason.
How about instead of derailing a thread into this unproductive shit, you message the meetup organizer and say "Hey, I'm not gay but I'm desperate for a good group to play with, would you mind if I join?"
then depending on their answer you can come back here and we can agree that the guy's a jerk and/or congratulate you on finding a play group?
Wow!
Hard!
>>
File: 1490397123586.jpg (320KB, 1932x1932px) Image search: [Google]
1490397123586.jpg
320KB, 1932x1932px
Guy is selling Spartacus + Expansion for 30 euros

Worth?
>>
File: walkthedog.gif (3MB, 276x233px) Image search: [Google]
walkthedog.gif
3MB, 276x233px
>>53630833
I'd go for it.
The combat is a useless nightmare of dicechucking without enough interesting decisions, but the game's far from ruined by it.
>>
>>53630785
Because faggots should conform to normality.
>>
>>53626179
Monopoly and poker don't count. That's like saying everyone plays video games because moms have gotten addicted to Candy Crush.
>>
>>53630946
>The anon says as he posts on a traditional games board on an anime forum
>>
Any experiences with Twilight imperium 3?
I really want to buy and play that game sometimes, but I am afraid that it will never make it down from my shelf, since it is too complicated and takes too much time.
The game wouldn't be a problem, since we are quite experienced boardgamers, mainly the time that I'm afraid of.
>>
>>53630785
But the guy complaining is clearly a faggot, so he shouldn't even ask.
>>
>>53630782
You're degenerating into 'muh boardgames are better than your boardgames', which is moronic.

In my opinion, the average normie game (chess, bridge, mahjong, etc.) is a million times better than the usual ameritrashy shit typically discussed on this board. So what? You're still playing boardgames, even if the lowest-tier kind.
>>
>>53631025
It's an amazing game for that itch... the itch for something truly massive, a galaxy-level experience. I've never not had fun playing TI3, win or lose. It's a time black hole, to be sure, but in a way that's almost part of its charm. A shorter game with a similar theme wouldn't deliver quite so well.

I was pretty afraid of the learning curve at first, but after one fumbled half game with my group it was fairly easy to get everyone into it because, while the top-level structure and especially the strategy to win may be complicated, when your 'turn' comes around you have fairly few choices that are fairly easy to execute: Do something to a system, use one of your cards, or use (one of) your strategy(s). The complexity comes from iteration, and like any 4x-style game your first turns are fairly simple, planting flags and acquiring resources for the future. By the time the board state requires deep analysis you've been eased into it.

It won't come down from your shelf very often, but damn it the occassional TI3 day is worth it.
>>
>>53631065
>the average normie game (chess, bridge, mahjong, etc.)
And most normies don't even go for those. Ones with children play Clue, Monopoly, and maybe Risk if they're lucky (Or Candyland and Chutes and Ladders with the younger set). The ones who play chess, go, and mahjong recreationaly and eagerly are borderline on their way here. I guess some people are still full normie and play Poker? But of course gambling is sort of its own thing.

Normies might respect the classics, but they play them like they listen to Mozart: without shame, but very seldom.
>>
>>53631144
Thanks, I am expecting similar experience.
About the turn - what are players doing while it is not their turn? Does it get boring after a while waiting for all the other players?
>>
File: nerds.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
nerds.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
>>53631025
If you keep the scope contained and don't let anyone set into analysis paralysis, it's not too hard to keep the game under four hours.
Go for it.
>>
>>53631228
>what are players doing while it is not their turn?
At least once a round, each player needs to take a "strategic action" which as a secondary effect lets players spend their resources for some benefit, so there's some degree of stuff to do during other player's turns. Also planning.
>Does it get boring after a while waiting for all the other players?
Depends on the number of other players - which is why I try and limit my games to four people. Speeds everything up without compromising the game.
In my opinion.
>>
>>53588339
I played one game of twiligth struggle and would have won as the commies if i only i had realized that canada was considered part of europe.

fucking canadians.
>>
>>53631228
>>53631264
>>53631290
me and my friends played a lot of twilight imperium over the past few months. its not a bad game to play. its not actually that long if you have a good group that doesn't take forever with their own turns. And while the turns can take a while the game is engaging even if its not your turn to keep you hooked.

i really enjoy the game. its not as complicated or as long as it seems but it does have that depth that you're looking for.
>>
>>53631228
Well, individual "turns" (that is, where one player gets control) tend to be very quick, so it'll be around to you in a moment. That is, unless somebody does something interactive. If you're invading somewhere, at least one other player is going to be making decisions, rolling dice, and maybe playing cards. If you trigger your strategy, which everyone has to do in a full round, the "primary" ability will give everyone a chance to play in some cases (Most notably Political and Trade) while everyone has the chance to elect to do something by taking the secondary ability. So if my turn is moving to a new system and flagging it, or playing one of the more durdly action cards, everyone else is waiting but not for long. If I want to attack, the space battle ensues which even if you're a non-involved party can be fairly interesting (and third parties can sometimes interfere). and if I play my Technology strategy, everyone is counting their resources to see if they can buy a tech of their own. Politics? We'll be influence peddling and then voting.

Honestly the downtime ratio is one of the best things TI3 has on other massive games.
>>
>>53631298
Wow U.S. must have let you rape Europe.
>>
>>53631264
>>53631290
>>53631320
>>53631324
thank you.
>>
>>53630885
Is the card phase as shit as it seems?
>>
>>53631406
worst part was had i known canada was part of europe i would have played the points card later in the turn and would have won. but i did it as soon as i thought i had victory.

ended up losing.

I didn't feel too bad considering again it was my first game while they were experienced with it.

its my fault for assuming that europe meant europe.
>>
>>53631470
>The card phase
The what now?
Nothing by that name in the game.
>>
>>53631224
I haven't seen somebody actually play Monopoly in a decade. I'm pretty sure Monopoly peaked 30 years ago and has been in decline ever since.
>>
>>53631065
Monopoly, snakes and ladders, risk, etc, are total shit. This isn't really up for debate if you actually like board games, it's pretty evident. You can even ask the people who do play those games and most will tell you they are boring.

Chess and the other classics are so different from the rest of board games that they are barely comparable. If you say "oh yeah he likes boardgames, I see him play chess a lot" I'm just going to say that you're awful at understanding what we are talking about.
A guy who likes chess, and maybe even belongs to a chess club, doesn't like "board games", he likes chess.
>>
>>53631517
If it really is dying, good riddance. I have one family member who thinks it's funny to pull out and play 'ironically'.

I would throttle them, but it's much easier to offer Dead of Winter as an alternative.
>>
>>53631517
Non-/tg/ savvy YouTubers still play it, which is sad.
>>
>>53631224
>Chess, Go, & Mahjong
>Not Catan, Ticket to Ride, Takenoko, & Pandemic

Shit son, you could have easily said stiff like Yinsh, Twixit, and cir*kis and been more right
>>
>>53631522
>Chess and the other classics are so different from the rest of board games that they are barely comparable.
O really? I'd say that the tards who play """thematic""" storytelling ameritrash are barely comparable. Chess is a fairly standard family eurogame. People who like chess usually dabble in some other boardgames too.
>>
>>53633434
>Chess is a fairly standard family eurogame
>>
>>53633434
>Oh really? I'd say... the same thing!

>Family game
>2 player

>Implying most chess players even know about the existance of modern games
>>
>>53633696
Most family games are explicitly targeted at two players. 'Family game' isn't a game for four players, it's a game an adult can play with kids. The usual attributes of a family game are something like this:

* Easy to learn, quick to explain rules
* Short playtime
* Lack of overt in-your-face theme
* (But not abstract)
* Easy for an adult to lose to a child without making it obvious
* Clear progression steps for a child to improve his skill
* Inexpensive components with a distinct design

>>Implying most chess players even know about the existance of modern games
Implying you actually ever met any chess players! In fact, implying you ever meet anybody at all outside your tiny roleplaying waifu circlejerk!
>>
>>53627966
> Literally no-one gives a fuck except them.
They advertise that they're gay because that drives away homophobic fucks that could potentially ruin the fun of a game night for both gay and straight attendees.
>>
>>53634138
No, a family game is a game you can play with your family, usually 4 players or more, and is kid friendly. Not whatever definition you just made up.
Who the fuck ever refers to chess as a "family game".

>Implying you actually ever met any chess players
I was regional champ while young and never heard of modern board games until way later in life. Do YOU even chess?
>>
>>53633696
>Implying most chess players even know about the existance of modern games
In my experience, the chess players are the most likely people to know about /tg/ related materials. Granted, they're more into the old cardboard chit war games that take three days and a garage floor to play than Catan or Ticket to Ride, but the fact is you don't actually get into something with as developed a meta as chess enough to consider yourself a player (rather than "bloke who owns a chess set and knows how the little horses move") without being a neckbeard at heart, at least.
>>
>>53630885
Is there a lot of counting involved? What makes the game not ruined?
>>
>>53634311
> No, a family game is a game you can play with your family, usually 4 players or more
Again, no.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/145060/specific-definition-family-game

Most family games are explicitly designed to work with two players, and family games that only work with four don't exist.

>> I was regional champ while young and never heard of modern board games until way later in life.
> I was raised by wolves so that means everyone was
>>
File: 1484681732789.png (59KB, 383x279px) Image search: [Google]
1484681732789.png
59KB, 383x279px
>it's ok to make a gay board gamer group but not ok to make a straight board gamer group
>>
>>53634413
>Links a thread about a guy trying to make up a deifnition of a family game as proof that his definition is correct
Are you even trying?

Also
>Yeah dude walk up to anyone and ask to play some entry tier shit like ticket to ride and they'll totally, totally know what you're talking about
Fucking hell most of the people at /v/ wouldn't even know.
>>
>>53628181
>oh, you can play it with two players... you just have to add in a "dummy" AI for a third player!
See also, Gemblo's retarded 2-player variant.
>>53631517
There have been a few interesting variants over the last decade or so. Deal, Tropical Tycoon, the recent Star Wars edition
>>53634473
http://www.chicagonow.com/arkielad/2014/06/gay-pride-month-why-is-there-no-straight-pride-month/
>>
>>53634363
Not much counting, the combat just feels like a lot of wasted potential, the only significant choices you have to make once a fight starts are whether to take your recieved damage in offense/defense/speed, there's no real tactics in how you attack or maneuver, the map itself is almost entirely meaningless.
The rest of the game, between the negotiation elements and take-that elements and blind bidding for new resources and arena hosting rights, works pretty well.
>>
>>53634526
thanks

I think I'll pass because I loathe dice too much.
>>
>>53588370
Obviously Tzolk'in.
>>
>>53634517
'Entry tier shit' in 2017 is Uno. Granted, Uno gets old fast, but it's definitely a modern boardgame and a decent euro/cardgame mashup. Most people in /v/ have played Uno.
>>
>>53634473
Well since straight is the norm, one can safely assume any gaming group not labeled "gay" is straight, so why even bother?
If you want to make it a straight only affair and avoid running the risk of poop-pushing degenerates in your immediate vicinity than by all means, go for "straight game night, no fags allowed", but progressives and SJWs WILL freak out.
I, for one, couldn't care less.
>>
>>53634876
Uno is a shitty normie card game that I wouldn't even qualify as being close to a modern board game.
We used to play some variant of it all the time during breaks in high school just with a regular spanish deck of cards. None of those people probably to this day has heard of modern board modern games.
Monopoly and risk would have been better examples, but while somewhat closer, they are still incredibly distant from shedding light or being a gateway into the hobby.
The groups are simply disjointed.
>>
The other day I asked in my local store about buying Agricola and they said "Well, if you want Agricola, you should just get Caverna, which is the same game, but better", and then came another dude saying "If you are getting Caverna, you should just get A Feast for Odin, which is the same game but better".
How far does the chain go? Which game should I get?
>>
>>53635649
The below is chronological, not better/worse/weightier
>Agricola -> Le Havre -> Ora et Labora -> Caverna -> Fields of Arle -> A Feast for Odin
The chain goes a long way; there's also Glass Road which doesn't quite fit in, but some of the games have their roots in, and Patchwork which shows up in Odin. Uwe takes what he learns in one game and then uses it in the next (or in the case of Agricola the 2016 reprint). They're all good, and appeal to people differently; Caverna is cozier and doesn't have the tension of Agricola; Ore et Labora and Le Havre feel closer to each other than the rest; Odin is the child of Fields of Arle and Patchwork. The best thing you can do is watch all the reviews you can find, then watch full playthroughs of the games, because that will give you a good idea of the flow.
>>
>>53635649
They are rather different games in some ways. Agricola can be considered the baseline: build engine, feed your people, score points. It's got a fairly deep Metagame. Caverna is sort of like that, but adds a bit more fiddly buildy aspect to it. A Feast For Odin has you playing Tetris.
>>
>>53635649
It loops around depending on who you ask
>>
>>53634473
Go ahead straightey, no one is stopping you.

Although I think your mothers basement already hosts that group ;^)

>Play miskatonic museum
>Have to run out of the museum so I dont get killed and all I have is a net gain of 1 xp and a fucking tablet token added to my bag

THANKS
>>
>>53635870
>>53635845
>>53635808
Thanks for your input!
Superficially I like the tetris mechanic, I also quite like Patchwork, but which ones do you personally prefer?
>>
>>53635947
I'm
>>53635808
Don't own any of them atm, but Caverna/Odin are more my speed; heavier euros don't see the table often with my family/friends so Agricola/Le Havre with in my experience cause more AP and can punish people just aren't a good idea. Been leaning towards Odin, because I really like the Patchwork/Tetris, and I've already got Agricola All Creatures Big and Small (the 2p relaxed version, did I mention there's a 2p version?) for a farm simulator.
>>
>>53604393

>Argent: The Consortium

My bretheren. That is one of my favorite games to play that I can never get a group to go for.
>>
>>53588339
Hey 'Seafall Anon' - if you are interested in picking up a copy inexpensively, CSI is having a sale and offering Seafall for $25 instead of their normal $80 asking price.
>>
>>53634876
>UNO is a decent euro/cardgame mashup.
It's not even a mediocre game by any standard. It's just shit.
>>
>>53636339
Upside: it's not Exploding Kittens, aka shittier Uno with bad artwork.
>>53634876
Uno isn't a euro anon, it's "modern" compared to something like Monopoly, Snakes & Ladders, or Sorry; but it's not a modern game. Not that we dislike pre-modern games here; not-Dune is mostly the same game as Dune and it came out in '79, Cosmic came out in '77. Neither are "modern" but both have been updated to be more in line with modern games. Uno hasn't changed since it came out in '71; it's not modern, it's just less old than something that came out in the '20s-'30s
>>
What do you think about Galaxy defenders? Is it good? Is it bad? Right now thinking about it.
>>
>>53636692
>Uno hasn't changed since it came out in '71
Actually, there have been several new cards and rules changes for the various licensed versions of Uno

t. guy who played Spider-Man Uno with his least disliked cousins one Christmas
>>
>>53637024
>you are technically correct, the best kind of correct
Ok I suppose I do need to be precise in my language on this board. BASE, NON-LICENSED, UN-THEMED Uno has not changed, since it came out.

>talking actual games
While you were at UKGE did you get a look at Starfinder?
>>
>Buy my second board game
>Need to find a place to store them now
Shit
>>
>>53637145

This is only the beginning.
>>
>>53637110
>did you get a look at Starfinder?
Not really... it's just Pathfinder: Sci-Fi Edition, right? Because I don't give two shits about Pathfinder.
>>
I just got Kingdom Builder in the mail. Anyone played it before? Should I play 2 player, or wait til I have a group together for a full game?
>>
>>53637517
Yeah basically; my bro-in-law wants to buy in because it's the same basic d20 system and but sci-fi and ship battles. I told him I'm not wasting God knows how much on something that isn't released yet, but they're just hinting at stuff when they go to cons til it's released at Gencon
>>
>>53637777
I have never seen a RPG do spaceship fights properly, so I given even less of a shit now. Dragging us kicking and screaming back to the thread subject, here's what I DID play at the Expo:

>Dobble
It's Dobble. I played the Disney Princess edition, just so I could get a free foam Dobble hand. I ended up throwing the game, because it soon became apparent that I knew waaay more Disney than the guy I was playing with.
>Daring Dustbunnies
Hidden objective family game with a surprising amount of stuff going on (without being overwhelming). It'll be out on Kickstarter later this year, but I'm not entirely sure I'll back it, even though I liked it. It was designed by one of my friends - no, not the 404: Law Not Found guy - and I'm pretty sure most of my board gaming buddies will be backing it, so why should I get a copy I probably won't get to play that much?
>Mangaka
You get three cards with plot elements for a manga on it, then you draw two panels of that manga in a time limit. If you incorporate all three elements in your panels, as well as some other arbitrary bullshit I've forgotten, you win points. Honestly, the game would work far better if you lose the "draw shit in x minutes" bit and just made each round an elevator pitch you have to sell to the rest of your group. As it is, a resounding MEEHHHHHH from me.
>>
>>53638216
I only asked because for the most part I've been in line with your opinions over the years.
>Mangaka..... MEEHHHHHH
Damn I was intrigued by this one when I saw it, rare themes are always good, even if it is too weeb for my friends.
>>
>>53636043
I'm actually glad that it's my most-played game this year, the only worker placement game that I've played that is entertaining. Shame that you haven't had as much success anon :(
>>
My take on the Uno debate: Houseruling the shit out of it is your soft introduction to Mao.
>>
>>53638328
It's not a bad game, it just isn't that great. It doesn't help that I played a RPG recently with a similar mechanic.
>>
>>53634876
You've called Chess and now Uno "euro". I have to wonder, is your definition of euro as unique as your definition of family?
>>
File: channel gay.png (183KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
channel gay.png
183KB, 500x386px
>>53638216
>Honestly, the game would work far better if you lose the "draw shit in x minutes" bit and just made each round an elevator pitch you have to sell to the rest of your group
That would just turn it into Channel A. And it does work better.
>>
>>53634876
Sit your ass down in a chair it's class time. I picked out someone's top 100 euro game list and I'm going to show it to you. Your assignment is to examine each game listed thoroughly and stop being completely devoid of intelligence.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/149121/top-100-euro-games-images-pictorial-review-links-s
>>
>>53629300
>Paper money
I like how Milliennium Blades does this.
The money is stacks like ten bills that you bundle together with stickers, it's awesome.
>>
>>53631264
That green player ended up winning didn't he.
>>
>>53634876
Ok, so this guy is clearly full of shit, but what are some good introductory Euros? I know the power trio of Splendor, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne, but I'm not really a fan of the latter two, and there's only so many times you can teach someone Splendor before want to do something else.
>>
>>53588339
are there board games featuring waifus?
>>
>>53641037
Please die.
>>
>>53641036
Quadropolis, World's Fair 1893, Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Lanterns, Tokaido; all good, all family weight
>>
>>53641037
Tantu Cuore, Tentacle Bento.
>>
>>53636205
Is it worth the $25? I know it's really shit but is there anything that can be done to fix it?
>>
>>53641216
At $25 you're buying the components and any game it might come with is bonus.
>>
File: Top9MBGirls.jpg (502KB, 888x1322px) Image search: [Google]
Top9MBGirls.jpg
502KB, 888x1322px
>>53641037
Millennium Blades has a bunch.
Nitroplus Card Masters has mine.
>>
>>53641036
A few more not mentioned by the other guy:
Catan (obviously), Takenoko, Alhambra, Five Tribes
>>
File: Gekido.jpg (454KB, 640x669px) Image search: [Google]
Gekido.jpg
454KB, 640x669px
Has anyone played or heard of pic related? All I want is a game with fighting robots that isn't garbage
>>
>>53641177
Lanterns was an interesting one, and Tokaido probably would work great for newbies. Not sure about Stone Age, but I'll take your word for it.

>>53641389
Somehow I never played any of those. Except Catan, and I think I'd rather teach them anything else. But I'm definitely giving Five Tribes a try.
>>
Twilight Struggle vs. Labyrinth?

I wanna dip my foot in before I splurge and get everything. So, should I start with Labyrinth or just get Twilight Struggle? Third option?
>>
>>53642152
It may not mean much but Twilight Struggle is on my wish list
>>
>>53642092
>Not sure about Stone Age
It's definitely on the upper end of intro/family but it's not quite middleweight.
>>
>>53641512
>"dice driven"
>CMoN
Don't get your hopes up anon.
>>
>>53612888
I can't recommend it enough. It has been seeing a ton of play in my group and I have not tired of it yet. It is very satisfying to correctly deduce who ended up with what cards and correctly countering their strategies, but the epic tales Artwork is beautiful as well.
>>
>>53642568
I know it's a long shot. I'm just desperate
>>
>>53642152
Twilight Struggle. The Labryinth board game was not well received.
>>
>>53643857
Due to themes/representation or mechanics? The former don't bother me, but shit mechanics do.
>>
>>53643963
Mechanics. Despite Alessio being at the helm it was just a boring roll/move game. Good aesthetics though.
>>
Is there a cyberpunk dungeon crawler?
>>
>>53644103
Human Interface
>>
>>53644103
The closest things to a 'CyberPunk' (like CP 2020) that I can think of in board game form off the top of my head would be:

Specter Ops
or...
Level 7 Omega Protocol.

Neither have 'net running' but both are tactical games set in cyberpunk-esque settings.
>>
>>53635649
That's bullshit.

Caverna is Agricola for dumb people. It trades away the strategic depth and tactical difficulty of Agricola for a bunch of fiddly bits that ultimately amount to nothing interesting.

A Feast for Odin is a totally different game, and anyways nobody has yet to play it because it won't be in print for another few months.
>>
anyone know where the most chinese players play xiangqi online? i just can't seem to find a popular site
>>
File: 1492469687969.jpg (229KB, 680x508px) Image search: [Google]
1492469687969.jpg
229KB, 680x508px
It's been a while since I bought a game and I'm torn on whether or not I should buy Imperial Assault.

+Me and friends had fun playing campaign
+Fairly simple rules
+Lots of expansions / addons if we really really really like it
+Theme
+Don't have any dungeon crawlers

-Price
-Price
-Can hire it for $1 to play at my local shop
-Game on KS that I'm itching to back that looks to fit almost the same category and comes with 10x the stuff for money spent.

It's either spend $140 now and get Imperial Assault which is great, but expensive for what you get - Or spend $180~ and back Sine Tempore which may or may not be great but comes with so much value.
>>
>>53643983
Dang. That's a shame. Twilight Struggle it is.
>>
>>53645570
Being the most cautious man alive I'd wait on both of them; if the kickstarter is any good it'll get a second run or get picked up by a larger publisher in a year or so (CMoN/Ninja Division/CryptoRenegade seem to be grabbing up properties so they can fight against French banker dominance). If it sucks you can get IA, and not be any worse for wear if you rent it between now and KS release. The support will be there for years though on IA if you delay; it's FFG (who love to add expansions when the math is good) and Star Wars license which prints money. There's also the skirmish aspect of IA which also gives it a tourney format; not for everyone, but definitely worth thinking about.
>>
>>53644575
>A Feast for Odin is a totally different game, and anyways nobody has yet to play it because it won't be in print for another few months.
Uhhhhhh it came out last year anon, people have been playing it since late October, and LGS that don't get as much traffic definitely have it in stock; saw a copy the other day at one of the 3 stores in my town.
>>
File: sf_logo.png (76KB, 500x100px) Image search: [Google]
sf_logo.png
76KB, 500x100px
Has anyone here played Starfire? If so, is it any good?
>>
>>53643857
>>53643963
>>53643983
>>53645736
>Labryinth
>not well received
>Alessio
>boring roll/move game. Good aesthetics though

Uhh, is not >>53642152 talking about Volko Ruhnke's Labyrinth by GMT Games??
>>
>>53646229
I came out last year in a *really* limited print run. It's a pretty crazy game and nobody expected it to take off like it did.

Up to a couple weeks ago it was out of print and only 'collectible' copies for insane prices ($200 and up) were available.

> saw a copy the other day at one of the 3 stores in my town

For how much? If it's a decent $70 then maybe the fabled reprint is finally hitting the stores.

Anyways, once it finally reaches wide distribution then normal people will get a chance to play it and we'll see some balanced and valid (i.e., not fanboys, not collectors, not people paid to make game reviews) opinions.
>>
>>53593039

Jab
>>
>>53646645
Still TS over Labyrinth
>>
What's the deal with meetup? Do users have to pay for the site? How do they make money?
>>
>>53645570
>what is sine tempore
>ks introduction paragraph
>game rich in miniatures and materials, featuring custom dice and three-dimensional game elements.
That's a lot of red flags senpai.
>>
>>53645570
If you can rent and play it at a shop then there's almost no reason to buy it, especially if you play there frequently instead of anywhere else
>>
>>53646645
Yes, I was (Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001‑?). I guess I should've been more specific--just how many labyrinth games are there?

Oh and while I'm at it; does Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010-? bring the game any closer to Twilight Struggle in terms of mechanics?
>>
Just a polite notice that /tg/'s Blood Bowl league is starting up again shortly, with a clean slate of teams so this is the ideal time to join up. We use the free java applet and website FUMBBL rather than the official video game, which is missing chunks of teams and rules.

You'll be expected to play a game per week for six rounds, with playoffs to decide the Champions. Pop over to /bbg/ if you're interested >>53568389.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.