[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 24

File: Opia.jpg (206KB, 735x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Opia.jpg
206KB, 735x1086px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Heavy Armor Edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53486257

What are your hopes for the next splatbook?
>>
Reminder that paladins are the best class in the game
>>
Second for KOBOLD black DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY
>>
What's the IRL scale for the grid in this game? Isn't it 5cm x 5cm or some weird shit?
>>
>>53492543
This reminds me of something I was wondering
Can/do kobolds fall into the metallic/chromatic divide?

I know kobold dragonshields are listed as having the influence coming from chromatics.

Can I play a metallic-colored kobold as significantly different from a chromatic-colored kobold?
>>
Can anyone recommend me some battle music that's not really heavy because all youtube has is heavy shit.
>>
>>53492630
Sure, it's your game buddy.
>>
I'm awful at coming up with names and physical descriptions for my NPCs. How do I get better at that? Is there some online resource I could use, especially for descriptions?
>>
>>53492487
>Doesn't even change the title
>Reuses the op picture
>>
>>53492680
What do you mean with 'heavy', like heavy metal or?
>>
>>53492680
What do you mean by heavy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hegUgANcTw
>>
>>53492490
>Storm King's Thunder
>Iymrith knows the party is coming
>ANCIENT
>BLUE
>DRAGON
>sits in her desert base and waits for them to show up
>can be baited out of her lair and engaged in direct combat immediately
>when damaged enough, she willingly retreats into her underground lair that she can't even fly in
>will not abandon it even though there are two escape holes
>all lair actions are standard, but she can also collapse a few tunnels which is pointless because she won't abandon the fight and comes back immediately
You can write whatever you want about how dragons act in the MM, but they're all characterized as fucking retards in stories and played just as stupidly.

>>53492525
If your DM lets you outsmart a dragon and somehow trap it in its own cliffside city full of its own worshippers, the DM is also babyfeeding you.
Blue dragons can tunnel, the rock is obviously malleable enough if there's extensive burrows for the city, so good luck fucking trapping one. The city's also in a CLIFF so the dragon can just fly around outside and blast anywhere the players might be standing, and the dragon should know where you are at all times even if you're hiding inside a building where its lightning breath can't reach (though it totally could). So now that the dragon has your dumb ass trapped inside, it sends waves of its servants in and buries you under scaled corpses. Great job.

No, the best way you take out a dragon that's being played to its full power is by showing up with anti-dragon siege weaponry and magic that denies it the sky. You prepare for that shit and show up with all the goodies; you don't try to MacGyver something out of its lair and assume it'll just stick around and fight you to the death because "ho ho we're playing D&D and fights are winnable".

If players were in charge of playing the dragon and you, the DM, were controlling a party of five adventurers, you'd get the shit cheesed out of you.
>>
>>53492723
Yeah whoever has been making threads lately sucks. The old threads are usually still on page 2-6, too.
>>
>>53492699
https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#type=npc
It's simple and gives you what you need. Change things around if necessary (like their profession).
>>
>>53492680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHU1yaMgYuI

Break of Reality as a whole is a pretty nice group that tends to be softer.
>>
Reposting for more guesses.
What kind of creature fits this:
>lives in a city carved from a rocky wall in a desert
>rules over a Lamia, Kobolds and Lizardfolk
>supposedly has a library
>is a big threat to a 5-man 5th level party
I was thinking a Young Blue Dragon fits, but I'm not sure.
I'm trying to figure out what we're going to face next session.
>>
How good is a tempest/light cleric compared to a sorc or wizard in terms of nuking power?

New campaign starting up and I'm considering it.

Also what kind of damage per round is an optimized warlock dishing out? I have a cool concept but I hate playing crappy classes. My group is a bit power gamery which is fine, but the dnd won't help out weaker classes with good concepts.
>>
>>53492517
Best at what? Utility? Wizard or bard. Tanking? Bearbarian. Damage output? Fighter. They argueably aren't even the best at smiting with hexblade and stone sorcerer.
>>
File: 1493146554885.jpg (29KB, 400x558px) Image search: [Google]
1493146554885.jpg
29KB, 400x558px
Does anyone have any tips on playing a "noble savage" trope?

I'm playing a LN gnoll (it makes sense in the setting) whose tribe is all about might is right but has taboos against mistreating prisoners and cannibalism etc

First time playing and I just wanted to rp well
>>
I am part of a party playing curse of strahd and we just went through the amber temple, our party has 2 druids, my elf hating dwarf druid, and the elf druid, as you would likely guess my dwarf doesn't take too kindly to the elf. the elf received the dark gift that makes you terrified of fire. Am I too much of an asshole if I cast as many fire spells as I can from here on?
>>
>>53492752
You'd think if they were so desperate to make threads, they would at least put effort into them. This is lazy
>>
Can I take a feat that allows me to save the game?

Sometimes you just want to reload after a bad session.
>>
Is Eldritch Invocation: Mask of Many Faces OP as fuck or is my DM dumb for thinking that it means you can have full on conversations with enemies while disguised as a known character or am I just a butt-hurt non-caster?
>>
>>53492824
Do it, faggot. Also, I'm asking this from every player who played CoS - did your DM use Muriel Vinshaw extensively? She's an extremely minor character in the adventure, yet for some reason she tends to become a recurring NPC in a lot of campaigns.
>>
>>53492794
Could be a buffed Medusa.
A young dragon might work, too.
>>
>>53492517
+1

Easily my favourite class. From the Witch Hunter with a Rapier and a hand crossbow, to a Dragonborn or Kobold devoted to a Dragon deity granting him powers, or just the ordinary good old Lawful Asshole Paladin. Or the fighty Pseudo-Druid, or the Knight devoted to his long.

Literally the most versatile class in the game, best fluff, best crunch, and always super useful either by himself or in a party. It is actually impossible to go wrong with this class.
>>
>>53492868
no, must just be your DM.
>>
>>53492680
https://mmos.com/music/granado-espada-soundtrack
>Violin of the Death
>Rhapsody
>La Vistazo
>Espada Nigero
>Celestia
>Akashic Record
>Flamengo Fighters
>Helios
>Batista
>Endless Battle
>>
>>53492736
Then that's SKT's fault. I'm running Tyranny of Dragons and all dragons the party is supposed to face have escape routes and a certain HP threshold after which they will flee. All the dragon encounters have instructions for the DM on how the dragon would act, using traps, minions, hit-and-run tactics.

So far the party has only faced one adult white, and the only reason they killed it was because the flying champion fighter did like 60 damage to it in a turn (whereas the module instructed it would flee once reduced to 40 HP or less, it didn't had the chance).
>>
>>53492752
No one posts anything useful past the bump limit. Who gives a shit what page the thread is on once it's dead? I know I don't come in here with a story or a question if I see the post count is over 300, and I know you fuckers do the same thing.

We're not gonna run out of internet ink if we keep making threads.
>>
>>53492752
>>53492833
It's a shitposter who has been deliberately posting blacks as the OP for a while now like it's /5eg/'s version of kitsuneposting. The best you can do is make a new thread with a better OP and direct everyone else to it.
>>
>>53492861
It's disguise self at-will. I mean, nothing fancy or special, but you can pretend to be someone else.

If they're a warlock chances are they have high charisma and a deception proficiency so they probably just use it with naturally high rolls.
>>
>>53492951
I bet they do it because it triggers you three so bad.
>>
>>53492875
>>53492794
Lamia fluff says they usually serve Graz'zt and protect special places for him so it could also be another, more powerful minion of Graz'zt guarding the place as well.
>>
>>53492962
op we know its you.
>>
>>53492993
Nah, I only make threads with cowboys as the OP image and I have no black cowboys.
>>
>>53492487
My DM hates 5th ed because there is nothing useful or interesting to spend money on. He wants us to be able to buy magic items (and I want to be able to buy them) because magic items make the game fun and interesting. But magic items have no associated prices, so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.

How do we remedy this situation?
>>
>>53493069
Brokeback Mountain General When
>>
>>53492888
>impossible to go wrong
Ranged.
>>
I want to make love to an ebony-skinned woman until I put her in the family way!
>>
>>53493077
Literally make up prices ad hoc.

I mean, seriously? DMs have to invent shit. If your DM or group isn't willing to deviate from the MM or whatever printed adventure you're running, you're going to have a shit time. It's not the way to play D&D. You're supposed to look at that stuff as guidelines, examples of how stuff should look, and then go on to make your own, better shit.

What's more, it doesn't even matter what price the DM gives to all the magical items, because he's also in charge of how much money the party finds. Whether a +1 sword costs 1,000gp or 100,000gp, he can give you as little or as much cash as is necessary to make that seem like an expense.
>>
File: Magic Item Rarity.png (82KB, 318x131px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Item Rarity.png
82KB, 318x131px
>>53493077
>so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.
this desu. There are guidelines for magic item prices, though, as you can see in pic related. Consumables are worth half of that.
>>
>>53492833
OP is a false flagger trying to get 5EG banned by making too many threads too fast and /pol/ posting.
>>
>>53492794 Guardian Naga
>>
>>53492567
Each square is assumed to by a 5ftx5ft space in most battle-scale maps.
>>
>>53493077
The DMG has price suggestions based on item rarity.

They're even ranges, so he can price them high, and have a clear idea where to stop the bartering.
>>
>>53493077
>so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.
The answer is right in front of you.
>>
>>53493163
Right but for the miniatures and spell templates, what size should the grid be in real life?
>>
I'm playing a Druid for the first time, going with Moon. What are some essential spells that I should look into? I have level 1 and 2 slots and I can prepare up to 8. So far I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Goodberry, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, and Create or Destroy Water for level 1 spells, plus Moonbeam and Enhance Ability for level 2s. So I need two more.
>>
>>53493077
>he wants us to be able to buy magic items
Pleb
Regardless, just use prices from old editions, maybe convert a bit if prices have changed for other things from whatever edition you're using.
>>
>>53493138
I have given my level 9 party maybe 150k gold and a dozen or so magic items, one of which is a legendary.
>>
>>53493143
>>53493138
Isn't it a major failure of the system to just tell the DM to make up numbers? Like, isn't that what the rulebooks are for? Why would he pay for a rulebook that just tells him "make it up"?

This is what he's asked me, and I'm inclined to agree.
>>
Our party is getting prepared for going to the final battle with Iymrith in Storm King's Thunder and I have to say I'm pretty proud of the large amount of allies we've convinced to fight under our banner.

>King Hekaton's storm giants
>Fellgalos
>Zepheros
>An army of 200+ Goblins
>A crazy ship captain and her crew who are obsessed with killing dragons
>The cultist crew of our airship
>The elemental from Ironslag in an Iron Flask if shit gets really out of hand
>>
>>53493195
id say barkskin, makes it harder to get hit
>>
Gentlemen, how do we fix pact of the blade warlock?

I think it goes without saying that they should get thirsting blade for free at level 5.

The UA did a lot for the class, but I think all of the pact of the blade specific invocations should use whatever your pact weapon is, rather than requiring you to use a specific type of weapon. Would allow hexblades to use a quarterstaff, and still take the invocation that makes pact of the blade worth it, same with other patrons.

Anyone disagree?
>>
>>53492799
Tempest is much more in your face than the others you mentioned. Also, clerics are generally going to prioritize their cleric spells. I would go sorcerer for pure blasting. Warlocks do pretty good damage but if you want to do more than shoot things with eldritch blast all day it's not what you're looking for in a nuker.
>>
>>53493190
>miniatures
>spell templates
Nigga what?
>>
>>53493195
Also strongly hint at your DM to allow for special Druidic items that enhance your beast shape abilities.

Ask them for items that give +CR for taking new transformations (or just flat give you the ability to take the shape of a specific creature once a day, let's say), and perhaps when you reach really high levels maybe a legendary item that allows you to use one legendary action or lair action of a creature you've transformed into. Stuff like that.
>>
>>53493207
No, because the system assumes you're not going to buy magic items. Most of all, because the developers wanted to give each DM the power to make those decisions himself. If they gave straight prices to magic items and a DM wanted to run a game where magic is rare and they can't buy it, the DM would have to deal with players sperging out about him being unfair, because "it's in the books!"
>>
>>53492949
Nah but the final phase of a thread is good for solving any remaining questions.
>>
>>53492723
He's spamming so he can make it Basketball Cleric themed.
>>
>>53493208
that sounds mostly standard to me
>>
>>53493240
Multiattack and medium armor + shields would help. Just, y'know, try to bump them up to Valor Bard's level
>>
>>53493207
>Isn't it a major failure of the system to just tell the DM to make up numbers?
No? Every party and group is different. Taking a one-size-fits-all approach is fucking stupid. Base adherence to the stats in the books is not only boring, but it leads to metagaming nonsense.

It also assumes that the designers of the system and all those numbers are good at their jobs, which they aren't.
>>
>>53493077
Bying magic items removes half the fun.
>Ah, where I got my beloved blade? You see, after an epic showdown with Ul'drah the warlord of the pale shield host I claimed his blade as my own. In his time, the warlord fashioned this sword out of dragon's bone.
Versus
>Oh yeah I bought a +2 sword in Ballsleff.
>>
>>53493266
>No, because the system assumes you're not going to buy magic items. Most of all, because the developers wanted to give each DM the power to make those decisions himself
These sentences are at odds. If the system wanted to give the DM options, then they should have provided prices. The DM can always choose to ignore the prices. The dungeon master's guide exists to make the DM's life easier. It takes 0 effort to ignore a rule, but a ton of time and effort to come up with logical prices for an entire book's worth of magical items.

>If they gave straight prices to magic items and a DM wanted to run a game where magic is rare and they can't buy it, the DM would have to deal with players sperging out about him being unfair, because "it's in the books!"
Rule 0. If you're just going to start removing content from the game because you're afraid of players using it against the DM, then you're gonna wind up with an empty book.

I mean seriously, why would 5th ed keep item weight and encumberance, and NOT magical item prices? What group is going to be tracking how many pounds each person is carrying?
>>
>>53493210
Most of the party is martials so I probably wouldn't be getting targeted all that much, and even if I was in the thick of combat 9 times out of 10 I'd probably be in beast form anyway. So considering that Barkskin seems like it might be kind of a waste.
Like I said though I've never played a druid before so I'm just guessing, maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>53493365
when you are a huge sized snake thats grappling an enemy you're gonna get hit. a lot.
>>
>>53493365
You can maintain concentration on barkskin while in beast form if you cast it beforehand. Handy since many beasts have 11-12 AC
>>
>>53493401
Oh, neat, I didn't know that.
Yeah, you're right, that's helpful.
>>
>>53493360
+2 items are boring period.

For reference, we're currently playing 3.5. I'm a Dragonfire adept dragon weeaboo. The campaign started at high level, so we all had a bunch of gold to spend during character creation. Rather than starting with fucking nothing, I was able to start with a bunch of dragon-themed magic items which let me do cool stuff. Like speak with the dead, or summon an elemental, or teleport short distances.

If the only magic items you use are +X items, then you're using magic items wrong.

>>53493352
>It also assumes that the designers of the system and all those numbers are good at their jobs, which they aren't.
Okay... so why would he play 5th ed if it's poorly designed?
>>
>>53493208
I think we're going to have
>King Hekaton + Storm Giants
>other Giants
>Felgaros
>Zephyros, without his tower because we rammed it into the Cloud Giant Castle
>10 Dwarven Defenders from Mythril Hall and a Dwarven Spec Ops Strikeforce led by a cool guy
>a retired Champion who travels with ~10 suits of Animated Armor and some Animated Weapons
>a squad of Elven Arcane Archers
>maybe some guys from the Knights of Samular and the Lord's Alliance if we can pry them away from defending Waterdeep
>my pet Axebeak
>Adamantine Power Armor for the Fighter
>Warlock's Wind Elemental
Gonna have to walk there, though, since we've blown up every mode of transport we've encountered, including two outputs on the Teleportation Circle network.
>>
>>53493207
>Argument 1
Having a rule for everything crowds out important, universally used rules. It makes for a poorer reading experience, and a less enjoyable system as a whole.
>Argument 2
The exact price of a magic item will vary greatly across settings, if they can even be bought.
You wont be able to make a list that satisfies a large majority of groups, so it's kinda a wasted effort.
>Argument 3
Forcing the DM to be creative and think for himself will generally make for a better gameplay experience. Yes, there should be guidelines so the DM isn't building everything from scratch. See the 'suggested prices' posted previously.
>>
>>53493421
You can also use call lightning for example in this way, meaning you'll be blasting and mauling at the same time
>>
>>53493426
Because other things are designed even more poorly, and poor design isn't a constant throughout a system. You can say that these rules work but these few over here are stupid, overpowered, underpowered, whatever. My car having a bad brake light doesn't mean I buy a new car, it means I replace the brake light.
>>
>>53493426
>Okay... so why would he play 5th ed if it's poorly designed?
Why are you here if you're just going to whine and whine about the system with no semblance of an open mind? You've already made your decision
>>
>>53493449
more likely heat metal, because call lightning uses an action, so unless if you're a bird using it and flying high above the fight, you'll either have to maul or blast
>>
>>53493426
For games starting at higher levels, I agree with you. Good for us that there is a table for prices of magical items.
>>
>>53493362
>If the system wanted to give the DM options, then they should have provided prices. The DM can always choose to ignore the prices.
And the players can always bitch and moan.

Not giving prices for magic items is a really fucking good idea; 5e isn't based on the assumption that characters will even get ONE magic item by level 20. Magic items are bonuses, not expected to be handed out.

That said, you can run a game where they're handed out like candy on Halloween, and if you want prices, USE THE SUGGESTIONS IN THE DMG.

Your DM is bitching because he has to put a tiny amount of thought into this, or because he hasn't realized he can just use a fucking online number generator to randomly generate a number in a range (say, one of the suggested ranges in the DMG) to generate a price without him having to think.

>I mean seriously, why would 5th ed keep item weight and encumberance, and NOT magical item prices?
Because it's assumed EVERYONE will be carrying stuff.

And it's NOT assumed ANYONE will get a magic item.
>>
>>53493505
Ah, I thought it was a bonus action on subsequent turns. That did sound a little too strong
>>
>>53493501
I want to like 5th ed, and I'm asking for ways to remedy perceived problems, but I am literally being told that it's badly designed.
>>
>>53493529
My moon druid has yet to try out the bird method I proposed but I hope to at some point
>>
>>53493534
You can name any system and someone who plays it will be able to tell you that X part of it is fucking stupid or not as good as some other system's, and/or that you are also encouraged to make up your own numbers and rules.

Stop being a whinging little bitch.
>>
>>53493534
By one person.

There are easy ways to remedy these problems; your DM is just a lazy sack of shit if he can't come up with the prices for items.

Especially because he doesn't have to come up with the prices for every single item in the book, only the ones he intends to have up for sale somewhere.
>>
>>53493528
>5e isn't based on the assumption that characters will even get ONE magic item by level 20
I guess this is a major problem. The classes by themselves aren't interesting enough for me (or the DM or our other main player), so we rely on magical items pretty heavily. If 5th ed is seriously designed so that magical items aren't an expected part of gameplay then I guess it's just not the game for us.
>>
Does summoned creature provide exp?
>>
>>53493586
Also (as previously mentioned) he can just look at the suggested prices in the book, choose randomly or use RNG online
>>
>>53493605
They can if you want.
But if you were smart, you wouldn't use XP to begin with.
>>
>>53493604
Yeah, that might be true.

But again, just because it isn't designed with doling out magic items like welfare cheques, doesn't mean you can't make it work.

But since it isn't designed with that in mind, it does mean there'll be a minuscule (and I really do mean minuscule in this case, since the designers literally laid out a way to do it) amount of work on the DM's part involved.

But if your group is so fucking lazy you can't, say, submit a list of items you're interested in to the DM, which he can then add to items he thinks are interesting, and then only bother pricing that bunch of items, I can't fucking imagine any of you are pleasant to play with, considering this is a game based around putting effort into the roleplaying and shit.

You get out of it what you put into it.
>>
>>53493605
If I were silly and not using milestones, I'd say that creatures summoned in a non-permanent fashion (they have a short duration and are clearly intended just to help with a fight) provide no experience, and the increased difficulty of dealing with them should instead be factored into the XP of the creature summoning them to begin with. Creatures which are summoned on a more or less permanent basis or for a period greater than a day (say, a summoned invisible stalker told to go fuck someone up in the next town over and bring you their shit) would give XP if slain.
>>
>>53493469
I'm just gonna go full Ship of Theseus on my 5e game.
>>
>>53493295
An extra attack at level 5 would be a nice start. It would give you an actual reason to use your weapon instead of just eldritch blasting all day every day.
>>
>>53493714
I have. Just about the only things still extant are proficiency and advantage/disadvantage.
>>
>>53493735
>An extra attack at level 5 would be a nice start
It's called Thirsting Blade
>>
>>53493783
>Invocation Tax
no thanks
make it part of the subclass like with valor bard
>>
>>53493295
>Medium armour and shields for picking blade pact
Just no
It'd turn pact options into:

>Get some fun cantrip utilities and maybe even ritual casting!
>Get a fun little friend who helps you do things!
>Get +4 AC and hit things better in melee?
It just wouldn't fit, and it'd be stupid. People would take it even if they don't want to be good at melee.
>>
>>53493783
>>53493735
I think what the man is getting at is that pact of the blade shouldn't have a feat tax necessary to really make use of the shit your pact gives you.

It should be given for free at level 5 to pact of the blade warlocks.
>>
>>53493783
>requires you to spend an invocation to get something that should be standard to the archetype
wew
>>
>>53493688
>But if your group is so fucking lazy you can't, say, submit a list of items you're interested in to the DM, which he can then add to items he thinks are interesting, and then only bother pricing that bunch of items, I can't fucking imagine any of you are pleasant to play with, considering this is a game based around putting effort into the roleplaying and shit.

We have about 4 hours per week to play D&D. You're suggesting that every time the players want to buy something, they submit that request to the DM, who will then deliberate and decide a price and return that price to the players, who will most likely reconsider and submit a different request. We've got 4 players, each of whom is looking for items they individually want, so the DM is doing this with 4 people separately.

This means that buying even basic magical items is a tedious back and forth process which cuts into time we *could* be spending roleplaying.

You can phrase it as "it's only a little work", but anyone who plays P&P roleplaying game should already know that every time you add "a little work", the game gets slower and shittier.
>>
>>53493815
Pact options are nothing like the choice between lore and valor bard.

That choice gives you some of the most powerful features in the game with Magical Secrets and Cutting Words on the lore bard side.
So why should a minor utility choice do that, too?

At least hexblade was a bit more reasonable as it's a patron choice rather than a pact choice but hexblade still feels like an unbalanced design, probably the strongest warlock archetype even if you want to be an EBer.
>>
>>53493824
>get a great deal of utility
>get proficiency in a single weapon at a time

Is what it currently is. Do you think this is better?
>>
>>53493847
I'm pretty sure he meant for you to submit these things BEFORE starting play, or during the rest of the week when you aren't actually playing. I assume your group can stay in touch apart from saturday afternoons
>>
>>53493864
Better than a lot of proposed fixes where it becomes 'have some AC!', yes.
>>
>>53493847
do you play D&D by carrier pigeon
>>
>>53493847
I'm suggesting you submit a list of items you're interested in BEFORE the game, so the DM can price this shit when he's prepping anything else.

Or fuck, if you're looking for a specific item, he can literally just use the suggested ranges, pulling a name out of a hat.

You're saying no to a suggestion before you even try it, because you don't want it to work.

Go play a different system that has absurd rule bloat and 3950 trap feats, with 25 of the remaining feats only applying to other classes, if magic item prices are so important to you.
>>
>>53493815
>>53493825
>>53493828
>The class lets you LITERALLY PICK AND CHOOSE YOUR CLASS FEATURES
>No other class lets you do this to the same degree
>Whine and complain about it being an imaginary "Invocation Tax" like you were going to spend them on fucking chicken tendies instead

Who the fuck are you faggots and why are you here?
>>
>>53493884
Just to be clear, you think a class that isn't based around frontline combat, and has AC to match, shouldn't get any kind of an AC boost with the archetype that focuses on frontline combat, yes?

God forbid an underpowered class be boosted to still-weaker-than-every-other-frontline-class.
>>
>>53493873
Two of us (players) can, the other two are constantly busy.

And that doesn't account for things that crop up in the middle of a session. For story reasons, the DM usually doesn't leave us in town at the end of each session. We're usually in the middle of a trek, or camping outside a dungeon, or at the end of a long battle.

>>53493888
>You can phrase it as "it's only a little work", but anyone who plays P&P roleplaying game should already know that every time you add "a little work", the game gets slower and shittier.
>>
>>53493906
>get proficiency in a single weapon at a time, AND you have to spend an invocation on something every other gish class gets for free
>>
>>53493906
>feature is supposed to make you good at melee
>still bad at melee unless you take another feature on top of it
>despite both of these features, still worse at melee than you are at spamming eldritch blast
>>
>>53493924
So, are you just trying to bait responses, or are you actually incapable of three-dimensional thought?

Great, he doesn't leave you in town at the end of each session. In what way does this stop you from being interested in certain magic items? Give him a list of shit you're interested in AT ALL, not just to buy the next time you're at a stall. That way, if you come across a shop that has this item in it, he has a price for it.

Holy fucking shit, and my girlfriend calls me dense.
>>
>>53493924
>the other two are constantly busy
How do you even schedule the game if you can't contact these people at any point in the week outside of when you're all at a table? Do you not have the internet? Phones? Do text messages, e-mails, or voicemail not exist in your country?

>hey dave i know you're at work but here's what i was thinking about stats for a sword blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and blah blah blah blah also it's 1300gp get back to me before thursday bye
>>
>>53493959
She's native american, you twat.
>>
>>53493904
The DM doesn't tell us when we'll be able to buy things. Our characters have chaotic lives, where we often aren't really at liberty to just waltz into town and buy shit. Or rather, we could but then we'd be allowing things to fall apart around us.

Anything items important enough to our characters to be a long-term goals aren't handled through a gold transaction but through role-playing a personal quest.

So while we *could* submit request forms for everything we want, that would change every session, usually twice a session.
>>
>>53493972
Sounds like your party's already dead because you haven't been able to restock on torches, food, other provisions, and equipment maintenance.
>>
>>53493984
We have a druid, a ranger, and we all have darkvision. We don't need torches or food.
>>
>>53493963
We meet at the time every week. Swapping days usually means one or more players can't make it.

>>53493957
see >>53493972
>>
>>53493972
Sounds like you're never gonna be able to buy a magic item worth caring about, so why bother? Your characters are either too busy adventuring to go shopping, and when they finally get to a magic store they get like a healing potion
>>
I wish there were more not-edgy Warlock options
>>
>>53493991
>he thinks the nutritional needs of a party of adventurers who routinely get into life-or-death scrapes can be met by the ruffage your nature-lovers scrape together between time-sensitive encounters
God forbid it take you more than an hour to hunt down, trap, slaughter, and cook a boar; you might have better spent that time walking to a goddamn town and getting a real meal.
>>
>>53493972
>The DM doesn't tell us when we'll be able to buy things
Completely irrelevant to what I said.

>Anything items important enough to our characters to be a long-term goals aren't handled through a gold transaction but through role-playing a personal quest.
I'm not talking about super powerful or important shit, I'm talking about "A bag of holding would be cool, so would be spidersilk slippers"

>So while we *could* submit request forms for everything we want, that would change every session, usually twice a session.
I can't help ADD.

I'm suggesting you create a wishlist of items you want to play around with. Your DM may or may not give you these items. That's all.

The no-effort solution is literally to use the suggestions for magic item prices based on rarity (because you specifically said you think your DM will have to individually price every item in the DMG).

If he's creating his own magic items, then he obviously needs to come up with the price himself.

No effort, takes 2 seconds max at the table, on the spot, unless your DM has dyscalculia or some shit (though honestly that doesn't even apply to just picking a number).
>>
>>53493917
I think that choosing an option which gives a variety of interesting utilties shouldn't also have an option that's 'Have a big combat boost' that doesn't actually take away your not-frontline-role. It would dissuade people from taking fun and flavourful options in order to simply make themselves tougher.
Not to mention, what's the point if you're as tanky as the other frontline fighters?
There's no 'glass cannon melee' playstyle yet, and it seems like what warlock would be going for.
>>
>>53494010
There are. Have you seen the Roll A Cleric Pact option?
>>
>>53493972
Okay.

Tell him to always use the maximum suggested price in the DMG.

Or the midpoint in the range of prices.

Or the lowest price.

So many braindead solutions, but apparently you just outright don't have a brain.
>>
>>53494036
sorry eldritch blast machine broke
>>
>>53494021
>not having a desert druid with create food and water
>>
Anyone here has experience with Inspiration Pad? Tried to make a potion table but it doesn't work
>>
>>53494032
>I think that choosing an option which gives a variety of interesting utilties shouldn't also have an option that's 'Have a big combat boost' that doesn't actually take away your not-frontline-role.

I'm a little confused by this. Do you think pact of the blade offers a variety of interesting utilities?

You can banish a weapon to some other plane, and as a fucking action of all things, pull it back.

This constitutes a variety of interesting utilities, to you?

The issue with bladelock, prior to hexblade, was that you were ALWAYS better off using eldritch blade. Hexblade offers situations where going in melee makes sense, but if you ignore UA content, it is, 100% of the time, worse to go into melee with a bladelock than it is to use eldritch blast.

Do you not think bladelock should at least give a reasonable option to go into melee, instead of giving you no survivability AND no damage?
>>
File: 8.png (3MB, 1214x1600px) Image search: [Google]
8.png
3MB, 1214x1600px
im currently working on 3d printing the death house and i was wondering, is it a good idea to have the furniture be one object with the house or is it better to print the furniture and whatnot separately if they for whatever reason have to move?
>>
What if taking Pact of the Blade turned your Eldritch Blast into a melee-ranged weapon of your choice, with a number of attacks equal to the number of rays your EB can fire? You can still bind a weapon and use its special properties, it's just charged with your purple warlock juice when you use it. Extra attacks and invocation bonuses like Agonizing Blast or Repelling don't apply to melee attacks made with your non-Bound weapon.

And then you get some AC bonus meant to make you survivable in melee. It's a complete trade-off because now you've lost your long-range blasting option and are purely a melee Warlock.
>>
Hey guys. I'm looking at a death themed sorc or a fire nuke sorc.

I heard there's a way I can go death domain as a sorc and it's actually good.

Does this compare in damage/utility to a fire sorc?

Any tips and advice welcome!
>>
>>53494021
If we could make a round-trip to a town *and shop* in an hour, then we probably haven't even left the town limits.

>>53494027
>You can phrase it as "it's only a little work", but anyone who plays P&P roleplaying game should already know that every time you add "a little work", the game gets slower and shittier.

>>53494003
?? We buy shit all the time. We're currently playing 3.5 so the DM just says "you're in town with a smith and a wizard shop, you can buy magic arms and armor, scrolls, potions, and wands". We know how much gold we have, and we can look up how much everything costs, so we can buy shit for ourselves while the DM sets up the next encounter.
>>
>>53494177
i think the point with the boar example was that it shouldn't take an hour to do all of that so maybe you do have time to go to town
>>
>>53494148
I think this is interesting, but how are attacks made? With str/dex or with cha?

What damage do the strikes deal, the weapon type's damage dice, or the 1d10 force damage of eldritch blast?

Wouldn't 4 attacks be too much, as only fighters get 4 attacks per action without any kind of buffing shenanigans?
>>
>>53494138
one guy in my party was suspicious as fuck and burned all chairs/tables/paintings/carpet. Little halfling trying to push the table into the fireplace was quite funny
>>
File: zapdos.png (47KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
zapdos.png
47KB, 250x250px
>>53493549
You know what kind of bird that is.
>>
>>53493969
The image depicts a person with darker skin than any Native Americans ever had, and with African facial features

Stop being a faggot
>>
Rate the name for my tiefling paladin: "Redemption, but you can call me Red."
>>
>>53494177

Wow, you must play at light speed if 2 seconds of the DM making up a price is a long time for you.

But yeah, I'm done. You're unwilling to give any solution even the slightest try, so don't even bother.

I used to be like you. I was obese then, and lived in my mother's basement, with no prospects whatsoever.

I think your attitude is garbage, and you should improve as a person.

Don't bother replying, I won't be here to read it.
>>
>>53494201
The boar stuff can be done as part of a long rest (cleaning and cooking at least). Making a trip to town cannot.
>>
>>53494166
Starting level 5, by the way.
>>
>>53494177
So what's the problem with >>53494068

????

You look up the item, you look at the rarity, you have a specific price for everything.

What's the problem here, friend?
>>
I would be cool if they released the new UA today...

I miss weekly UA
>>
>>53494333
Having to use a bit of effort it seems.
>>
>>53494148
Or, just take GWM
>>
>>53494260
Edgy/10
>>
File: tumblr_n996uvQBaI1tzye0xo1_500.gif (981KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n996uvQBaI1tzye0xo1_500.gif
981KB, 500x281px
>The Deities of Love, Sex & other naughty things had a holiday festival that got a bit out of hand
>The Deity of Dreams now absolutely refuses to grant dreams to mortals, because the mortals wouldn't stop having the weirdest and fucked up wet dreams
>The real reason is that the Deity of Dreams is a lonely, bitter cunt and jealous as fuck of the holiday the others got
>>
>>53494117
>You can banish a weapon to some other plane, and as a fucking action of all things, pull it back.
You know what else can do this?
Putting 'Weapon' on your inventory list.
Then, as an object interaction, you can pull that weapon from your backpack.
Not that you actually really need a weapon in the first place.

'A variety of interesting utilities' is something that offers something you can't already do in such a manner that you could just stuff something in your backpack and you're already doing better than what blade pact does, aside from the proficiency thing. The best you'll ever get out of it is 'Oh, I need a 10ft pole' or 'my DM is extremely strict on how many items I can take'.

I think bladelock should just not exist. It should never be a pact option. The pact option is exactly the problem - Why is the option to be melee or ranged tied to a minor utility option you get at level 3? It doesn't have the impact to decide that. Valor bard/lorebard's choice does.

Say, it could be a level 1 patron option that takes away your eldritch blast but gives you survivability, or something.
>>
File: Dark Soul.png (320KB, 573x324px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Soul.png
320KB, 573x324px
How bad is Undying Light?
>>
>>53494428
Compared to other warlock patrons, one of the best, though the level 1 feature isn't useful to all warlocks.
>>
>>53494148
I say you sacrifice the AC for extra damage. Make it a glass cannon. Sacrifice range and relative safety, for higher damage.
>>
>>53494214
AB and damage is Str/Dex, but you get Cha bonus to damage. Agonizing Blast for free, essentially. Damage type is that of your weapon. Maybe we could add something like Once / Short Rest, you can transform your Pact weapon into a blade of pure energy and deal Force damage for the whole round.

This also helps bridge the gap between most weapons doing less damage than EB's 1d10. It's a little more MAD, especially if you aren't using a finesse weapon, but the extra damage (especially if you go for a two-hander) should be worth it, or at least make you comparable to Raging Barbs and Fighters with Duelist / GWF. I haven't actually run any numbers because I assume the thread will do it for me.

EB rays keep parity with Fighters' Extra Attack until the very late game: two at 5, three at 11, and Warlocks get #4 at 17 while Fighters have to wait until 20. Considering most games aren't going to go there, I don't think this is much of a problem, and Fighters should probably get Attack #4 at level 17 anyway. I would stipulate that only Warlock class levels count for this; EB isn't really a cantrip anymore so it's not like you can multiclass out and get all four attacks at level 17 even if you're Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 14.

And maybe so the Warlock isn't completely SOL when it comes to ranged combat, they can still cast a SINGLE RAY of Eldritch Blast as a full spell, regardless of level, with any relevant bonuses they've got. So EBing at 17 wouldn't have four rays, it'd just be one. You're still a melee Warlock.

Another neat thought? Repelling Blast reduces an enemy's Speed by 10 per hit when used by a Bladelock.
>>
>>53494333
>You look up the item, you look at the rarity, you have a specific price for everything

Well, no, you have a ballpark. Unless you're just taking minimum price for everything, which leads to some pretty odd situations. Not all items of the same *rarity* have the same *value*. Which is why the suggested prices have a hugely variable range (rare items cost anywhere from 500 to 5,000 gold).

For instance, using the "lowest price" method, Winged Boots would cost 100 gold, while Wings of Flying would cost 500 gold. Despite being nearly equivalent items. In fact the boots are arguably better.
>>
>>53494472
>you can transform your Pact weapon into a blade of pure energy and deal Force damage for the whole round.
Pact weapons are already magical damage
>>
>>53494528
That's gay because I have a pact mage and I want to kill this skeleton super dead. Also, what if I find a Flametongue? I can't have purple fire that doesn't burn anything on my Force damage sword.
>>
>>53494509
>>53494333
Oh yeah and a measly potion of flying would cost 5,000 gold. 50 times as much as the boots which do the same thing, and the potion is single-use.
>>
>>53494566
potions are a niche market to begain with, the reagents and brewing time are probably way more than an enchantment that does the same
>>
>>53494566
But it can be used without replacing your designer leather boots with some gaudy Wizard-stitched crap that's bright green and has little bird wings strapped to it.
>>
>>53494219
guess thats a no then considering i have a guy in my party that does the same kind of shit
>>
>>53493969
>>53494233
iirc when lewis and clark had a nigger travel with them and they made a stop where sakagawea joined, the natives literally tried washing the black off of him

so no, the natives arent that dark skinned and they also had big noses unlike OPs pic which has a smushed nose
>>
>>53494673
I have some unfortunate news for you regarding the blackness of blacks before they had several hundred years of interbreeding with whites in America.
>>
>>53494673
Have you seen australian aborigines?
>>
>>53494673
If we're being real that's a picture of a Jamaican woman from an Assassin's Creed game, but you're also wrong about Native Americans not getting that dark. She's fucking brown, not Wesley Snipes.
>>
>>53494759
Even the bitch in OP's pick looks better than our fucking abos.
>>
>>53494801
who?
>>
>>53494849
Opia Apito from Black Flag.
Actually she's probably mixed race because how else would her hair be that straight?
>>
>>53494166
I'm not sure about the death domain, but the phoenix orgin sorcerer from the UA is pretty nice. You can give yourself a cloak of flame that adds your CHA mod to your fire spells damage and hurts nearby creatures. At level 10 once per long rest if you would fall to 0 HP while you have the fire cloak up you are reduced to 1 and deal damage equal to your sorcerer level to everything in 10 feat + CHA. The capstone lets you fly and increases the damage when you do the fire burst by 20 and double your CHa mod, so so like 50 damage.
>>
>>53494260
I like it.
>>
>>53494865
no i meant who the fuck is wesley snipes
>>
Hi chaps, just in case it's of interest to anyone I thought I'd share a warmup session to LMoP I made for my group because a player was unavailable that week. It went pretty well, so decided to type it up. Hope it's useful to someone.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1sTPC3l-
>>
OK, so let's give Warlock the following feature at level 1:

Eldritch Assault
Choose one of the two following options:
1. Eldritch Marksman - receive the Eldritch Blast cantrip (which is now otherwise inaccessible to anyone).
2. Eldritch Vanguard - Receive Extra Attack as a fighter. Able to conjure a weapon of any type that deals force damage, as a minor action.
Your eldritch weapons benefit from any invocations that alter Eldritch Blast.
Magic melee weapons you attune to (even those not normally requiring attunement) also receive the benefit of invocations that alter Eldritch Blast.

No armor proficiencies, no HP bonus, and gives you a VERY high DPS character (because you can grab a d12 or 2d6 weapon + str + cha, or as high as 1d8 + dex + cha, which still outclasses EB in terms of damage). Nothing stops this character from using PAM or GWM, which means they're a strict upgrade to the fighter in terms of damage. So you've got the glass cannon melee DPS the game should have had. And if you take repelling blast, you essentially get free disengage + a powerful positioning tool.
The only disadvantage is that you need a couple invocations, but that's the same problem regular warlocks have. Any attempt to remove the tax now applies to both builds equally.
This also gives you the option of being a slashy-smitey warlock and still have a familiar/tome.

Thoughts?
>>
>>53495365
I always like seeing how other GMs work. Thanks!
>>
How many days have I wandered the backthreads now? I no longer remember.

>>53476053
The reverse of 5:1 is 1:5. That means if you put 5 on each, and the underdog wins you come out with 25(+15) and if the favored wins you come out with 6 (-4). If the math still seems off, just say it's rigged in the house's favor after all.
>>53476210
Sorry, TWF's not garbage for Rangers, just awkward and situational, which is basically the Ranger's tagline.
>>
File: 20170529_112140.jpg (2MB, 1440x2196px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_112140.jpg
2MB, 1440x2196px
I really like making my own character sheets/personalizing them, but I'm kind of running out of ideas as to what I can do to make my new character sheet "fun."

Here's the character sheet I'm replacing, what would you suggest to liven it up?
>>
>>53495365
Neat.
>>
>>53495369
Sounds OP if you roll up a PAM Bladelock and have 4 attacks by level 8 (or level 5 if you're variant human). Would be extra nasty with GWM thrown in.

I fall on the side of "Bladelock is fine, even if it's not a minmaxer's dream" this whole argument though, so just yell at me some more and I'll get bored and leave
>>
>>53495503
If you're a decent artist, I once saw someone do a character sheet that had a doodle of their character dead smack in the middle. Wish I could find it again, it looked kinda neat.
>>
>>53495598
Why would I yell at someone offering feedback?
Oh right, it's 4chan

How would you get 4 attacks by level 8? I must be missing something.
More importantly: is this a trick that can be used by fighters/barbarians as well?
>>
>>53495339
>who the fuck is wesley snipes
A very black American actor who everyone forgot about after he went to prison for tax evasion.
>>
>>53495645
Maybe I'll try to do that and make the sheet a two page spread, I'm a passable artist.
>>
>>53495679
Hasted fighter can attack 4 times per turn. If they spend their Action Surge, they can attack 6 times.
>>
>>53495679
Well, Eldritch Vanguard would give you 2 attacks at level 1. At level 4 you take PAM which gives you a 1d4 attack as a bonus action. Then, at level 5 you take the Thirsting Blade feature to get your 4th attack. I guess you could argue that it's 3.5 attacks, but that's still a lot. Lastly, at level 8 you take GWM and throw in a potential of +40 damage to your round. Pretty nasty.

So really, you'd have to word EV so that it doesn't stack with Thirsting Blade, which basically makes Thirsting Blade entirely useless I guess.
>>
File: 2xgkrqqfpzkx[1].jpg (98KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
2xgkrqqfpzkx[1].jpg
98KB, 540x960px
>>53495747
Well I found something similar, but not identical to what I was thinking. Breddyneat though, if you can draw
>>
>>53495788
My intention wasn't to have 2 attacks at level 1; if anybody judge me based on that, that is fair. I meant to receive the same Extra Attack feature as a fighter, meaning 2 at level 5, 3 at 11, etc.
And absolutely remove Thirsting Blade. It is no longer relevant. Since we'd also completely remove the Pact of the Blade option, which is also no longer relevant.
>>
>>53495365
Page 5 is fucked up, can't read the paragraph that tells about the boy.
>>
How do I make the best sorcerer?

Google isn't being particularly helpful. There's favored soul or draconic it seems - I see very little on other options.
>>
>>53496038
8 charisma, old Favored Soul for armor, V. Human for martial proficiency, take GWM.
[spoilers]old memes never die[/spoiler]
>>
>>53495788
Ain't you an illiterate fucker
>>
How would you rule for killing an unconcious opponent? I know there are rules that state an auto-critical and hit with advantage, but would you ever rule instant death? And if so, in which cases? Only if the character is under a certain HP threshold? If the PC can identify their vital spots? Depending on CR? No instant death against very large/powerful creatures?
>>
>>53492951
I've noticed this as well. Why would you spam blacks without even relevant questions? At least make your thread image relevant to your question/statement
>>
>>53496208
Look at the scenario. Is instant death guarenteed?
>regular human, knocked unconscious with no chance of waking up
One chop to the neck. No chance of failure. Dead.

>powerful individual who might wake up
Give him a chance. He might wake up and parry, or dodge.

>supernatural entity, which could survive even a couple of powerful blows to vital areas
No instant death. Deal crit damage.
>>
>>53496208
If a dude with an axe managed to sneak up on a sleeping humanoid (elf, dwarf, human, etc) I'd probably just say you can kill them instantly. No point dragging out a pointless one on one fight, and it's a lot more flavorful too
Sneaking up on a sleeping dragon won't do much more than what's stated RAW
>>
>>53496224
That's probably why there's been such a reaction to it.
>Doesn't even post questions pertaining to his pictures
>Reposts various pictures as if he has a small folder
>Doesn't even post good artwork of black people anyways
>Rushes to post a thread first, but doesn't change it up

>Heavy Armor Edition, with a picture of a weird pseudo-aboriginal person and the question "What are your hopes for the next splatbook?"
At least animepost or something. I like my trolls to put in slightly more effort
>>
>>53496038
Sorcerer1/ditch being a sorcerer and become a wizard from then on.

Otherwise, just twin haste.

Otherwise, 2 levels of warlock+sorcerer
Otherwise, 2 levels of fighter + 2 levels of warlock+sorcerer
Otherwise, 2/6/11 levels of paladin + sorcerer
>>
>>53496208
I'd say instant death only if they are below a certain CR which scales woth your level.
>>
>>53493190
We use 1 inch squares for our battle maps, ~2.5 cm.
>>
>>53496208
If the victim doesn't have some sort of blade-proofing on their neck (like armor, or superthick hide, or magic), then they just die.

Alternatively...

Roll vs the enemy's CR. If you roll higher, they die. If you roll equal or lower, then something happens which saves their life. Maybe one of their allies throws open the door, startling them awake. Maybe their magical contingency kicks in and they teleport away.
>>
>20 str
>15 dex
>15 con
>12 wis
>10 int
>16 cha

I'm playing a paladin and rolled these stats. I use a polearm with the PAM feat. Currently 5th level. Planning ahead, at my next ASI should I bump dex+con to 16 or take charisma to 18? Alternatively I could take a feat, currently looking at sentinel or GWM.

>inb4 "rolling for stats" meme
>>
>>53496485
+1 Cha is a +1 saving throw AoE
+1 Dex is just initiative for you, it's worse than cha because cha gives all saving throwsi an AoE
+1 Con gives +1 HP per level, but you miss out on +1 to all other saving throws, and saving throws in an AoE

Aura of Protection is one of the most OP things in the game. It's hard to not boost it to the max after you already have max offensive capability/AC.
>>
Is there a list with ALL available races/subraces, classes and their variations?

PHB, Volo's, DM's, UA... not home-brew.
>>
>>53496575
>>53492487
>>
>>53496541
Yeah, I'm just worried that +2 con score is going to be staring me in the face the entire campaign.
> +1 Dex is just initiative for you

I didn't think of it that way, thanks. I'll bump up the charisma to 20 for my next ASI's. Appreciate the help.
>>
Do you limit spell scrolls to characters that know the spell or do you let anyone use them provided they can pass whatever check you impose on them?
>>
File: 1421915359072.jpg (957KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1421915359072.jpg
957KB, 1200x1800px
>>53493959
For all intents and purposes, you asked for this.
>>
>>53496656
I rule if you can read, you can use a scroll.
>>
>>53496662
>tfw no Dervish build and going Ranger for Whirlwind or Battlemaster for that one maneuver are shit substitutes
>>
>>53493959
I'm throwing Teferi at you too.
>>
>>53495679
A Level 8 monk can make 4 attacks per round, every round as long as you have ki, using Flurry of Blows.

Extra Attack gives 2 attacks.

Flurry of Blows gives 2 more, for 1 ki point.

You'd have 8 ki points, which would return every short rest.
>>
>>53496656
a) if the spell is in your class list, you can do the spell.

b) if it's in your spell list but you don't have that level spell slot yet, you roll spell casting check.
>>
>>53496656
You have to be able to read the language they are written in.
>>
>>53496656
Anyone can use a spell scroll, but if it's not on their class list and not of a level that they could cast, then they simultaneously roll a d12, with a result of 1-6 corresponding to the Scroll Mishaps table in the DMG (and a result of 7-12 meaning the scroll works like normal)

Also, each spell in a wizard's (or eldritch knight's, or whatever) spellbook can be used like a spell scroll, but using it in that way removes it from the spellbook (i.e., like a spell scroll).

This is because I love the trope of "people who can't cast magic normally get a hold of a powerful wizard's spellbook and proceed to ruin things", but by default in D&D that can't happen. And that's sad.
>>
>>53496575
>Is there a list with ALL available races/subraces, classes and their variations?

No. Stop. Just get the fuck out. You do not need a huge goddamn list of races. You just don't. I am so sick of faggot fucks who think they can play whatever goddamn race they want in an RPG. No you cannot play a fucking gnoll in a 1st level campaign. No, you cannot play a tiefling, which is a goddamn DEMONSPAWN. You would be lynched as soon as someone found out who you were. Same with drow. No you can't play a drow, the sun is like a fucking flashbang grenade dropped in your face, and also people shoot drow on sight, you stupid fucking faggot. No, you cannot play a goddamn furry race, or an Argonian, or any other shit from your Skyrim or Dark Scrolls video games, that is a video game, this is Dungeons and fucking Dragons, that shit does not exist here. Here are your choices: human, elf, and dwarf. Why? Because you are a fucking terrible roleplayer if you need anything else. Hell, you shouldn't even need anything besides fucking humans. Elves are like god-tier NPCs in Middle-Earth, so why would they even be a playable race? And how many dwarves are there in Lord of the Rings? Like, two? Yeah. Most of the characters are fucking human. Why? Because most of the world is fucking human. Why? Because this is a fantasy universe, not a goddamn star-wars Mos Eisley Cantina shitshow where there aren't even two compatible sets of gentialia in the whole place. You do NOT need 20 races to pick from to make your D&D character. D&D is so overly bloated with useless races that fill the same fucking niche. Orcs, goblins, gnolls, hobgoblins, kobolds, goatfolk, mongoloidfolk, fucking quagoths and grimlocks.... who fucking needs them? They are all just bloat. Where the fuck do all these races come from?
>>
>>53496716
Any class can do this by multiclassing with monk. This is in no way a flaw in the Eldritch Vanguard's design.

>>53495774
Warlocks don't get haste, so this shouldn't affect the balance calculations here.
>>
>>53496665
That's what I was thinking of doing but I saw a few sources citing otherwise and was curious as to how people here handle it. I think it'd be nice to give them things they normally don't have access to and hopefully have them use spells in rewarding ways.

>>53496754
>>53496757
I forgot all about spell slots, but that makes sense I guess.
>"people who can't cast magic normally get a hold of a powerful wizard's spellbook and proceed to ruin things", but by default in D&D that can't happen. And that's sad.
That's exactly why I want to give them access to things like this, with appropriate checks for how dangerous the spell is.

>>53496754
I think they've got that covered.
>>
>>53496783
I lol'd
>>
Starting a new game, I decided I wanted an uncommon combo so I rolled for my class and race.

Got a level 8 green Dragonborn Sorcerer. Pretty common but eh, it was the dice, I'm fine with it.

What subclass should I go for? DM says PHB, SCAG, all UAs etc. I can do pretty much any build. He's also OK with DM's Guild stuff.

He's a veteran DM so I'm sure he can handle it fine, homebrew world anyway.
>>
My rule for new players is: you get to roll a d10 when you roll your stats at character creation. If you get 1-6 you only get access to human. If you roll 7-10 you get access to halfling, elf, dwarf, or half-elf or half-orc. You do not get to be a drow or tiefling. End of story. And any DM who doesn't do this is a fucking cuck who would sacrifice the integrity of his world just to satisfy his stupid fucking shit-tier players. Honestly, even mentioning you want to play a fucking furry race, is grounds for me to kick someone the fuck out of my group. Just get out. There is no place for you here. No, you cannot play a khajit, or a fucking gnoll, or a fucking argonian, STOP trying to homebrew races when you haven't even played a full campaign yet. Have you noticed that? The first fucking game I played of Pathfinder, NO ONE wanted to play a core class from the core book. Only 2 people of the group of 5 wanted to even play a core fucking race. Why? Why? Because the entire fucking SRD is available and they have like 200 races to pick from, fucking bird people and wasp people and blue-skinned Avatar faggots. Also one player wanted to be a literal goddamn dragon. From level one. What the fuck? And this cancer has transferred to 5e as swarms of Pathfinder players try out the new edition and find that they can homebrew races more easily, thus there are now hordes of these niggers trying to get me to let them play X homebrew race, fuck off, ALL homebrew races are shit, every last fucking one of them, and do you know why?
>>
>>53496783
>Elves are like god-tier NPCs in Middle-Earth
>And how many dwarves are there in Lord of the Rings?
D&D isn't Middle Earth, retard
>>
>>53496852
No one gives a shit
>>
Because they are goddamn unnecessary and do NOT need to exist. Why? Because ANY concept you can come up with that is a real character concept, not some "lol I live 1200 years time for some teenage angst" like fucking Drizz't, can be done just fine with a human. Human. You don't need to be a fucking gnoll. Just stop. Just fucking stop. You are a human, and if you don't like it, get the everloving fuck out of my campaign you piece of shit. No I don't care what anime it came from, no I don't care if it was inspired by this TOTALLY COOL book you read, no i don't care what you care about, because what you care about is shit.

Play a fucking human. Or just kill yourself because you are adding nothing to the hobby of tabletop RPGs.
>>
File: 1332523452992.jpg (53KB, 725x290px) Image search: [Google]
1332523452992.jpg
53KB, 725x290px
I'm making a level 11 Favoured Soul, what spells should I take?
I'm gonna pick Twin, Heightened and Subtle for metamagic, I hope that's not dumb.

He gets to know 6 Sorcerer Cantrips, Cure Wounds, and 12 other Sorcerer or Cleric spells up to spell level 6.

So far I'm thinking:
Mage Armor, Shield, Misty Step, Counterspell
Probably Fireball and a single target spell (is Disintegrate better than Harm?)
Heal and Raise Dead (we've no Cleric)

And that leaves me with 4 other spells, which should probably be the things I will concentrate on.
I've got twinned spell, so maybe Polymorph, Greater Invis, Hold Monster (I've got heightened) and one more

But that basically means I'll be picking up Favoured Soul for just two cleric spells, which is kinda shitty

Am I doing this all wrong?
>>
>>53496902
stop posting
>>
File: worfmad.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
worfmad.gif
1MB, 356x321px
>>53496902
>>53496882
>>53496783
I'm sorry to hear that you're dying of terminal brain cancer, Anon. As a representative from the Make-A-Wish Foundation, I'm here to present you with a gift of one triple (You). I hope this comes as some small comfort to you in your last days.
>>
>>53496783
>>53496882
>>53496902

you're shit, but I agree to some degree.

Most races *are* shit. Though I would be slightly more lenient.
>>
>>53496783
>>53496882
>>53496902
You okay there, sport? You seem upset.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201KB, 1920x1080px
>>53493280
>introducing basketball into a fantasy setting
Pic related
>>
>>53496783
>>53496882
>>53496902
Birth of a pasta
>>
>>53496894
>D&D isn't Middle Earth, retard

No, that's true. D&D will never even approach the quality of worldbuilding middle earth offers. And most of that has to do with the fact that middle earth isn't loaded down with 200 bullshit races that the DM has to jam into his kitchen sink setting to pander to entitled players who should really just kill themselves. Seriously if the vast majority of the D&D fanbase died of a venereal disease that would be great. Clear out the furries, clear out the morons who want to play Skyrim / Dark Scrolls-based characters, clear out the fucking meme faggots who play meme music during games because they are spergs with no social awareness, clear out the autistics who play Dragonborn because they are on a goddamn powerwank, clear out the edgelord fucks who want to play tieflings, I don't know what stupid fucking cocksucker decided to put those in as a CORE RACE, same with drow being a CORE RACE and now they aren't even evil anymore which sucks ass because Drow elves made for some of the best high-level D&D villains ever, but now you have to give them all the benefit of the doubt because of one shitty book series that won't fucking die despite being turned into a fucking cash cow for Wizards' MMORPG that utterly failed and was shit anyway. Fuck the idiots who make all these race-based jokes and justify their character's actions with "well I'm a dwarf XD XD" or "I'm a paladin so that's why I would do that", FUCK OFF. That is NOT ROLEPLAYING. That is stupid baby tier shit, you can't even make a real character without basing your actions entirely off your race class and alignment. Fuck that shit, come up with a REAL personality. Alignment is not a motivation, that is why it needs to be fucking removed from the game. Lawful Good is NOT a character concept, it's bullshit. It's not even a realistic representation of human motives, which is EIGHTY PERCENT of what makes a character compelling.
>>
>>53497052
>D&D will never even approach the quality of worldbuilding middle earth offers.
Sure, but it will consistently be way less mind-numbingly boring.
>>
>>53497052
My hero :)
>>
>>53496783
>most of the characters
>four halflings
>one elf
>one dwarf
>one angel
>two humans

That's just the Fellowship, granted, but seriously, fuck off. Also, DnD isn't LotR. Race selection doesn't matter because...

...It depends on the setting.
>>
Is there a way to make monks not suck?
>>
File: 1493861181204.png (129KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493861181204.png
129KB, 300x300px
>>53497052
>>
File: 1443803284607.png (289KB, 824x542px) Image search: [Google]
1443803284607.png
289KB, 824x542px
>>53496783
>>53496882
>>53496902
>>
>>53497052

>implying most of middle earth's world building comes from a limited selection of races

You can't really be this fucking stupid.
>>
But they can't remove alignments, you know why? For the same reason they can't remove half the other shitty mechanics in this game, like Vancian casting, because D&D's identity is literally built around these clunky autistic rules from the 1980s. Fixing D&D would destroy it. It is destined to be shit because if you actually improved D&D from a game design standpoint, there would be nothing left. You would end up with one of the 500 different D&D spinoffs, most of which are complete shit, because they still pander way too much to D&D's terrible mechanics. But even removing alignment would cause a shitstorm of unprecedented proportions, even more so than the shitty power system in 4e did, or the ASIs introduced in 3.5 (which should be removed from the game, as 5e is a living testament to). Alignments are a cow so sacred they are a big part of what normalfags know about D&D. TV shows name-drop alignments for geek cred. They are an integral part of the game's identity, despite being OBJECTIVELY shit from a roleplaying and game design viewpoint.

And that applies to pretty much everything in D&D. Armor Class is not a bad mechanic, actually, despite being non-sensical, but the hit point bloat, the shitty vancian casting, the shitty hit dice rule that makes no sense, the stupid-ass healing surges which have been dragged back into 5e, and the retarded races that no one needs or asked for, and are created by game designers who can't balance an actual piece of game content like a feat or new spell for shit, so they make a new race cause there's rules for that and cause they want another way for them to be a useless special snowflake.
>>
>>53494069
Fix that joint rn
>>
>>53497131
>>53497129
>>53497052
>>53496959
>>53496956
Stop reacting to the pasta, you dips.
>>
File: thefuckdidyoujustsay.png (61KB, 378x253px) Image search: [Google]
thefuckdidyoujustsay.png
61KB, 378x253px
>>53497143
>hating on alignments
Now you've gone too far, motherfucker.
>>
File: its_joke.jpg (53KB, 960x750px) Image search: [Google]
its_joke.jpg
53KB, 960x750px
>>53497143
?
>>
>>53497082
>Sure, but it will consistently be way less mind-numbingly boring.

I'm sorry if you are such a worthless ADHD fuck that you can't enjoy Middle Earth. But you know what? That's not my problem. Thanks to Stranger Things there is now a huge flood of retards who should never have even touched D&D, flooding into the hobby, with their only experience in fantasy being their stupid-ass World of War-Crap MMORPGs, or DOTA 2, or some kickstarter faggot top down shooter like Undertale that makes them think all fantasy should be "LOL SO RANDOM" and come in glued to their phones, expecting this to be just as easily entertaining as a video game, except it isn't, and they put no fucking effort into it so it ends up boring and they just end up dragging the whole game down because they don't want to roleplay, they just want to get that sweet "geek cred" or whatever the fuck, I don't know why these people come to games then go on their phones and not actually participate, because they are used to such a high level of stimuli that anything short of an orgasm is boring to them.
>>
>>53497052
>>53497143
No but seriously my dude, go have your meltdown somewhere people actually give a rats ass. You're not making a convincing argument, you're just making a laughingstock of yourself. Maybe try reddit. That site seems more your speed.
>>
>>53497112
>Lord of the Rings characters are just the fellowship
>ignoring that Eowyn, Theoden, Eomer, Denethor, Faramir, and like 9 other faggots whose names I am forgetting, are also characters.
>ignoring that there are like 3 elf characters
>ignoring that hobbits are like the second most common race
>actually trying to pretend that Middle Earth is not a human-centric setting
>>
>>53497129
Not an argument.
>>
What is the most powerful build ever?
>>
File: IMG_20141030_191812.jpg (86KB, 1024x690px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141030_191812.jpg
86KB, 1024x690px
I am trading spots with our DM and will be running a game during the next couple months. I am thinking about making it an accelerated campaign since our current game is a much more of a long a low burn. Also this was many peoples first game so I want something extremely different too, and was thinking about pulling out my old 2e planescape materials.

So leveling almost (but not quite) every session, high power/magic, etc. Curious about recommend tweaks to keep the balance right if we are gonna fit a solid 1-12ish in 15 weeks. 1 session a week. I personally haven't DM'd in like a decade so I feel rusty.
>>
>>53497245
Already pointed out it was just the Fellowship. Never implied it wasn't human-centric. Evidence still supports that even in LotR, parties don't need to be human-centric.

Now quit being a faggot.
>>
>>53497219
Maybe your players aren't engaged because you're a shit dm :)
>>
>>53497279
Nuclear druid.
>>
>>53497279
DM
>>
>>53496844
>That's exactly why I want to give them access to things like this, with appropriate checks for how dangerous the spell is.

Well, if you want to make it more dangerous, then if a character is casting a spell that isn't on their spell list, they roll a dice and check the scroll mishaps table, with results about 6 representing a "nothing happens" result.

Then just scale down the dice as the spell level increases, maybe like so:

0-3: d12
4-6: d10
7-9: d8
>>
>>53497294
Probably this. Too busy sharpening his pencil under the table while thinking about how tieflings are shit to run an engaging game.

Honestly this dude sounds like Judge fucking Frollo. Hates on those races, but it likely stems from self-loathing because he wants to fuck the shit out of them.
>>
>>53497219
There are about 25 different races in LOTR and like 32 in D&D.
>>
>>53497143
And what is your fantasy RPG of choice?
>>
>>53497219
I can tell you're a faggot because your barometer of good fantasy is exclusively restricted to LotR.

You're really just hipster trash.
>>
>>53497185
>hating on alignments

Except alignments are a load of shit. I once had a player spend 2 hours arguing with me because some deity didn't act Lawful Evil, because even though she was Evil she wasn't LAWFUL evil enough for this faggot's self-righteous taste. No, just fuck off. It's a deity she can act however she wants. Alignments are horribly defined and /tg/ morons split them up even more so that "Lawful Good" can be that guy from fucking Breaking Bad if you twist it the right way. Alignments are meaningless, they are way to codify player motivations, ignoring the fact that alignment is not a motivation. Protecting your family, researching that new spell, being less of a loser than your dad or your brother, those are motivations. Those are what can make a character compelling. But if you go to an FLGS and watch people play D&D and ask about their character, well (1) 90% of them are playing the shitty published adventures that Wizards of the Coast dumps out like a diarrhea load every six months to avoid releasing any actual content, and (2) most of them don't even roleplay beyond what race and alignment they are. What the fuck? Why are you even playing a roleplaying game, you'd be better off in fucking DOTA. That's not roleplaying, that's just repeating the same boring memes that have existed since the beginning of time. No, "Lawful Good" is not a character concept. No, "Chaotic Good edgey robin hood XD XD" is not a character concept. Alignments are shit and they add NOTHING to the game, and they haven't in the entirety of their existence. They are fun for arguing about online, and literally nothing else. They could be removed from D&D and the only reason anyone would care would be because it was a sacred cow aspect of D&D that,despite adding nothing, was somehow an integral part of the game.
>>
>>53497279
Nuclear Druid.
>>
>>53497296
>>53497383
Explain, please.
>>
>>53497367
Seems like your problem is not with the system but with the way some people play the game.
>>
>>53497394
Circle of Twilight + Harvest's Scythe + Magic Missile AFAIK
>>
>>53497294
>Maybe your players aren't engaged because you're a shit dm :)

Except I am repeatedly told by players who AREN'T fucking ADHD fucks, that I am one of the best DMs they have ever had. I've been DMing for over 13 years now, I have more experience with RPGs than probably 90% of this board. I literally was compared to Matt Mercer when DMing last week which was kind of embarrassing given what a meme he is but it was still nice to hear. I've listened to his DMing and he's not even that good, but that's a separate matter. The point is I run engaging games, very open, very smooth, none of that autistic shit where you have to fill out a huge questionnaire for your new character who might die in the first combat, I let characters do what they want, I don't go full "rule of cool" retard, I make memorable NPCs they want to go back to, sometimes just off the top of my head. But the thing is, it doesn't matter, because even at peak performance, I cannot be as entertaining as their little shit phones that provide constant engagement yet zero fulfillment. I just can't. It's like cocaine. You're not a shit friend, it's just that drugs are better. Sorry.
>>
File: 1445233461530.png (13KB, 613x179px) Image search: [Google]
1445233461530.png
13KB, 613x179px
>>53497143
...wait a second...you're virtualoptim, aren't you?

> like Vancian casting

5e is barely Vancian at this point.

As for the rest of your post...I'm sorry your particular fantasy heartbreaker failed against the unassailable monolith that is Dungeons & Dragons' portion of the RPG market. Better luck next time.
>>
>>53497394
1 Arcana Cleric for magic missile.
Everything else into Twilight Druid which can add a bunch of dice to a spell, basically a smite for spells.

Magic Missile is the only spell after the errata that can apply extra damage as many times as you have projectiles so you're multiplying your extra damage by the number of magic missiles.
>>
>>53497394
UA Druid subclass that can theoretically deal 11 trillion damage from magic missile but easily fixed by making the damage bonus from the class feature only apply to one missile, not all of them. Or by having everything you fight have the Shield spell
>>
>>53497421
Sweet, I could use an awesome DM like you then >>53497289

Thanks! :^)
>>
>>53497413
The system determines how people play the game. Stop trying to vindicate D&D, if it didn't introduce these autistic rules and expectations, people wouldn't abuse them. Alignments aren't even good when used as intended, they lead to boring roleplay and they provide nothing. They are not a good roleplaying tool because "Lawful Good" is not a character. End of story. And if you think it is you are a terrible roleplayer.
>>
>>53497421
>listen to Mercer and deem him not good
>claim to be great DM
>is compared to Mercer

Given how that conversation went, I'd guess it's that those players have low standards.
>>
>>53497475
They're not doing a third errata on spell damage. They've already come up with their new wording for magic missile abusable damage boosts with Lore Wizard.
>>
>>53497488.
Probably, but that is only one example of the dozens of compliments I have received, even from veteran roleplayers who have been gaming longer than me. But yeah I agree Mercer is a shit DM. In all honesty, Matthew Mercer is contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Micheal Merals, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mercer has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick characters, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else. And by entertainment, I mean they consider it nothing more than a Netflix special that they can pause at any time, because it is meant entirely to pander to their enjoyment and make them laugh to cover up how empty their soulless lives are. This hobby used to be full of passionate people who cared about the game and weren't afraid to show it. Now the hobby is being diluted by hordes of casuals who couldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>53497524
Oh! I actually recognize this pasta!
>>
>>53497421
Halfway through this post and I'm already certain you're some fat greasy autistic faggot that speaks in pig squeals. Cause you sure as fuck write like one.
>>
>>53496261
>>53496272
>>53496341
>>53496464

I'm not really that good at DMing and judging by CR yet, so for now I was thinking of making it a save (death or maybe CON like it used to be) to prevent instant death. If the target makes the save, I'd make it a critical hit, like in the rulebooks. Is this too weird (like if they make a save, but are asleep, should I just tell the player they missed or something? Sounds kind of fiat-y) or would it work? Or maybe make that the result of trying to kill someone bound/held and make sleeping enemies die instantly (within reason of course, so no 1-hitting dragons)?
>>
>>53497475
>>53497451
I can't use UA. What else?
>>
>>53497524
>bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave
You are a fucking wordsmith. Every other group has one of those.

But who cares, so long as everyone's having fun?
>>
Since we're on the subject of Crit Role

>watch Crit Role
>like it
>have player in a campaign who is now just watching it
>not much other RPG experience
>every time something big happens in the show, asks me about it happening in the campaign
>right now it's a Deck of Many Things
>tell him it's a campaign derailer
>especially for a level 4 group
>"Aw, but it's so cool"

Pls stop.
>>
>>53497567
PAM Paladin.
Or Moon Druid who casts summon spells then turns into a bear with Resilient Con, and Warcaster.
Or SorcLock quicken eldritch blast ad nauseam.
Or you could just be a Wizard.
>>
>>53497560
Just use common sense to adjudicate it
if they're powerful enough give them a chance to get up and fight
if it's like a commoner, just kill em
>>
>>53497524

Ahh. Now we've gotten through the chocolatey outer shell and into the bitter nouget within.

You just hate fun that you don't agree with. There's no wrong way to play the game, amigo. Different strokes for different folks. Your entire argument can be boiled down to-

"STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!1!11!"

Next time just post that and spare us all your self-centered conceit.
>>
>>53497609
Seconded PAM paladin. Currently playing one and its fun and sufficiently powerful without being too strong.
>>
>>53497219
>Thanks to Stranger Things there is now a huge flood of retards who should never have even touched D&D

Oh, so it's Stranger Things now. Before that it was the Big Bang Theory, before that it was the Lord of the RIngs movies, before that it was Baldur's Gate, and I don't know what it was before that becuase that's when and why I personally entered the hobby. Maybe the Mystara arcade game.

People like you are always blaming some random pop culture thing for the success of D&D and its huge portion of the market, never stopping to consider WHY D&D has such a continuous, decades-long presence in pop culture. This isn't a flash-in-the-pan, popular-now-but-will-be-forgotten-next-decade thing. D&D is 42 years old this year, and in that entire time, the ONLY time that the Dungeons & Dragons brand wasn't the most popular, most sought after, most played system, was for a very brief period very recently back in the late 00s and early 10s...when it was instead Pathfinder, a clone of D&D that doesn't even pretend to be anything different.

That kind of staying power doesn't happen with something that's as fundamentally bad as people like you try and claim. So maybe D&D isn't as bad as you think it is.

Maybe it was just you, all along.
>>
>>53496882
Nice bait bro. 7/10
>>
>>53497524
>hobby is being diluted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2aqt_BUV0
This is literally you.
>>
How could i make Geralt of Rivia without any homebrew?
>>
>>53497593
>But who cares, so long as everyone's having fun?

Because other peoples' fun (i.e. the people who are there to ACTUALLY PLAY A ROLEPLAYING GAME) is being disrupted by these casuals who don't take the game seriously at all, and in fact laugh at you for taking it seriously. This is because they cannot comprehend why anyone would play D&D beyond cheap entertainment and comedy, because they do not have any sort of creativity, because they grew up addicted to media of all sorts and don't have a shred of imagination left in them, besides the "lol randumb" variety. Thus, they don't care about roleplaying a character, beyond some dumb meme gimmick that gets old after about two sessions, and they actively fuck up the game because they don't care about it, hence why they will bow out 2 hours early to go to the bar and drink some microbrews because that is what they actually want to be doing, not playing a roleplaying game. Which is fine, but do that instead, don't be fucking dishonest by pretending you want to do something, then not doing it at all. Stop treating the hobby like a convenient form of entertainment that is there to serve you, and you can just walk out whenever you want and show the next session even though it fucks up the story when this happens more than a few times, and then laugh at the DM "why are you serious about this bro it's just a game"

Fucking kill yourselves, casuals. You ruin campaigns with your bullshit. People like you are the reason I have to do extensive background checks on new players to make sure they actually give a fuck about RPGs and aren't just there to play Cards Against Humanity except with nat20s attached to it because they saw it in a twitch stream whose patreon they donated to.
>>
>>53497684
I dunno, UA Hunter Ranger with favored enemy Monstrosity sounds about right. Maybe. I've never played any of the Witchers.
>>
>>53497684
Just make a Mary Sue.

Not that I dislike Geralt, I love the witcher but he's absolutely a Mary Sue
>>
>>53497601
Decks of many things are great though. I'm about to introduce it in my PF game because none of the players know what it is.
>>
>>53497669
I just assume them to be obese losers complaining that well adjusted hygenic people are entering into their safe spaces and once again they find themselves compared to functioning humanity and are found wanting.

Or they're just bad at the game and don't like being shown up by people who are better than them at it despite being newer. Like those old disco geezers getting blown away at a skating competition by the Z-Boys.
>>
>>53497680
>actual gamer keeps a manlet nu male beta and his fat feminazi girlfriend out of the hobby

A real hero. I'd suck his cock if I met him.

>>53497669
Nigga, D&D has always been the most successful relative to other RPGs, but now it is being flooded by normalfags and rosties who we do not want nor need in this hobby. You missed the entire point of my post.

>Maybe it was just you, all along.

Sure buddy.
>>
>>53497711
So is basically your average D&D character.
>>
>>53497688
Three posts in a row of Bait copypastas getting old.
>>
>>53497710
Geralt uses magic. Probably ranger with eldritch knight or swordsinger.
>>
>>53497684
>>53497710
Either this or Eldritch Knight, I'd think.

The former misses the more combat focused magic Geralt has, while the latter misses a lot of the flavor for his characterization.
>>
File: enough.jpg (7KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
7KB, 316x202px
>>53497659
>hitting enter after every line

Stop reddit-spacing you idiot fuck, not every sentence needs a new line. Oh, and the way those people play D&D? It IS wrong, because they are not playing D&D, they are playing some chucklefuck bullshit. If you show up to a baseball game and instead of playing you just throw the ball at each other and try to hit each other with the bat, you aren't playing baseball. I don't care if you say "lol but it's okay so long as EVERYONE IS HAVING FUN", no faggot you invited me to a game of baseball and you're not playing baseball so I have a fucking right to be annoyed.
>>
>>53497773
Each of these copypastas just seems to steer one into the next.

It's almost impressive, were it not so sad.
>>
>>53497791
Really willing to bet you suck at baseball.
>>
itt: casual discussion of playing pretend interrupted by autism, new UA nowhere to be seen
>>
>>53497825
>last Monday of the month
>also a US holiday
Why would there be a UA today?
>>
File: Star Trek.jpg (62KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek.jpg
62KB, 480x359px
>>53497688
>and in fact laugh at you for taking it seriously.

Dungeons & Dragons is a game where one of its earliest adventures involved the heroes exploring a crashed flying saucer. Where it is a canon fact that Halaster records everything that happens in Undermountain and sells the footage as special-effects studios in Hollywood, which he reaches via his Spelljammer. Spelljammer, by the way, with a totally straight face, gave us Giant Space Hamsters. The drow are based off of the Mafia with gender roles reversed. And one of the most iconic monsters of D&D, the Mind Flayers, are time-traveling post-humans FROM THE FUTURE!!! who traveled back in time from the heat-death of the universe to save their decaying empire, and they eat brains.

D&D is not serious and never has been serious, you fucking mong. You sound like a Trekkie complaining about Star Trek Beyond's "sabotage" scene as not being "too silly" for Star Trek, somehow casually ignoring that NOTHING was too silly for Star Trek.

"A Piece of the Action" is my favorite TOS episode.
>>
>>53497823
>Really willing to bet you suck at baseball.

It's an analogy, fuckwad.

>>53497825
itt: some reddit fuck tries to make a clever comment before forgetting that there aren't upvotes on 4chan so no one gives a fuck about his pointed observation.
>>
>>53497841
>Dungeons & Dragons is a game where one of its earliest adventures involved the heroes exploring a crashed flying saucer.

So? Just because a lot of the early adventures are shit, that lends credence to all this natural 20 autism? Piss off.
>>
>>53497841
Noice.
>>
>>53497367
All of your posts just make you out to be a shit DM.
>>
>>53497884
>All of your posts just make you out to be a shit DM.

How so? Because I don't pander to lol-randumb autism?
>>
>>53497867
>Just because a lot of the early adventures are shit
I hope you're not implying Barrier Peaks is one of them. What are you, 20 years old?
>>
>>53497884
>tfw your DM has a psychotic rage on an anime imageboard
>>
>>53497601
CR is great but holy fuck does it need context. 4 out of 6 players in my group watch it but thank fuck none of us are autistic enough to actually think we should be emulating the show in our own game. We've taken little tiny snippets of it, like being more creative and descriptive in combat, and making death less of a "lol I died plz res" affair, but that's it. I think if someone went full on Keyleth in my game they'd get slapped.
>>
>>53497899
>anything I dislike is lol randumb
>>
>>53497867
You don't get excited when you nat 20 a motherfucker for the killing blow?
>>
>>53497901
>I hope you're not implying Barrier Peaks is one of them.

Yes, it is shit.
>>
>>53497847
As was mine in which I doubt you're in high demand to play with anyone.

I dub thee Sir Last Pick.
>>
>>53497899
The fuck?

"Not pandering" and "smearing all over the place" aren't even synonyms.

Learn the fucking language.
>>
>>53497612
Alright, I'll do so. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>53497899
Your players argued with you for 2 straight hours and alignments. Any good DM would've had that shit shut down in a single sentence. If players argue with the DM, it's a shit DM. If players argue with the DM for TWO STRAIGHT HOURS then you're the most abysmal DM to ever find his way to a table.
>>
>>53497754
>who we do not want nor need in this hobby

...anyone else getting flashes to every sports movie ever? That bit where the stuck-up prick or pricks will come over to the new guy or guys and try and talk them down and say that they don't belong here?

Yeah, you're the prick. You're the Norwegians in Cool Runnings, to the Jamaican team. You shouldn't be the Norwegians in Cool Runnings, dude. You should be the real-life Norwegians (who were, along with everyone else, quite supportive of the Jamaican bob-sled team).
>>
>>53497913
My games are on Sunday so I usually have Maze Arcana going when my players show up. I don't even enjoy it that much but it's spoiler free for splat books unlike Dice Camera Action and it leads to fun questions from the players about Eberron and Spelljammer.

CR is great, Orion was cringe.
>>
Never played sorcerer before, any must have spells? I'm going Wild Magic and the DM said he would let me roll often
>>
>>53497867
>Just because a lot of the early adventures are shit

BITCH you BEST not be talking shit about Barrier Peaks.

>>53497925
This bitch is talking shit about Barrier Peaks.

Jesus H. Christ, what a newfag.
>>
>>53498068
Does your DM allow UA material? If so, Chaos Bolt.
>>
Can I have some CC on my plot
Basically the moon is descending upon the world and the party works to find a way to stop it
players learn they have to get on the moon Armageddon style to detonate it or whatever
but when they land on it with a wish spell or whatever they're greeted by an alien caretaker of the moon who informs them the moon is actually neutral good and seeked out the party
they ride the moon off into the galaxy to fight an ancient evil
>>
>>53498012
>You're the Norwegians in Cool Runnings

Holy if-you-see-the-flash-it's-too-
-late Burn.
>>
>>53498068
FIREBALL.
>>
>>53498084
yes to UA, I can even not chose Wild Magic but not sure if other options are good or not-broken
>>
>>53498094
>the moon is actually neutral good
Wait, what?
>>
Is whip useless?
>>
>>53497791
I'll space however I please, thank you.

Additionally, baseball has a set value of rules, the goal of which is to ensure fair play between two competing teams.

DnD has set rules, the goal of which is to ensure smooth gameplay. There's no rules in DnD dictate or govern the tone of the setting or the game itself.

Your example is shit, and you are shit. Using your example in the correct way would have been more like this-

"Went to play baseball today. Everyone was goofing around and people were enjoying themselves, so we didn't finish nine innings. Don't they know this is serious business?"

The difference here is that, for whatever reason, you seem to take people having fun and enjoying themselves as a personal attack. You're not the player. You're the umpire. You're here to ensure that the game goes smoothly. It's not your job to tell the players how they can and cannot have fun, though you can if you want to, as you need to enjoy yourself as well. If they don't like it, they can find a different DM that is more their speed. If you don't like it, you can find different players that are into the same shit you are.
>>
>>53498151
sorry I didn't clarify
the moon is actually a neutral good mecha
>>
>>53498094
My constructive criticism is that this isn't a plot, it's a set-up. Other than that, I have no complaints, though I'm not sure if the moon being NG is necessarily relevant.

I once had my players pilot a spelljammer and having to fight an evil star, called Negative Sun, that was using the Dyson ring that surrounded it as a weapon to bludgeon them and the rest of their spelljammer fleet from the cosmos.

...it may have been a Kingdom Hearts campaign. And they might have been in the Treasure Planet universe. And the sun might only have been evil because an entire Heartless fleet kamikaze'd into it.
>>
>>53498162
It's the only one-handed Reach weapon.
>>
>>53498162
Only real reason to use one is if you are a rogue and have proficiency with one
>>
>>53498215
Is it smart enough to know that by getting closer it will cause tidal forces to devastate coastal regions, and if it fucks off to fight space evils it will screw up the ecosystem in a less destructive but still quite thorough way?
>>
>>53498162
I'll let you know how my Barbarian Whipmaster turns out.
>>
>>53498261
No the moon isn't very smart, but it has high wisdom.
The players have to pilot it to defeat the ancient evil.
If it is too much of a problem about the gravity and stuff I guess the mecha could be inside the moon.
>>
>>53497684
Variant Human
Faction Agent
Fighter. GW or Duelling fighting style
Magic Initiate (pick Friends (Axii), Mending (he's a self-sufficient dude, also he at one time fixes a pot with Igni etc.), and Thunderwave (Aard).
You go Eldritch Knight, and at level three you take Blade Ward and Shield (both represent Quen or Heliotrop), Burning hands (Igni) and Thunderwave (you already have 1 freecast, but you want it ''on tap'' as well). At levels where you can take spells from other schools, you get Sleep for Somne and other spells you think resemble certain uses of a Sign, for example Charm Person for Axii, but don't get something like Fireball for Igni.

You put below average to average to above average points in Charisma (Geralt isn't a guy people are instantly friends with, however he does possess some presence. Judge as you will), average to above average in intelligence, average to MAYBE above average in Wisdom (think of the Beast and the Beauty story in The Last Wish, he figures the girl is a vampire but it takes him a while), Above average Strength AND Dex (take your choice which you put higher, though the Wolf School fighting style is arguably based more on technique, pirouttes etc. than on brute strength). Constitution must be above average to high, he survived the mutation rituals and takes some pretty stiff hits in the books.

Alignment is a problem, because although Geralt lives by a kinda Neutral Good alignment, he does some questionable shit both early and later in life (killing people in an inn to get the attention of King Foltest, helping for money instead of the good of his own heart, ''tricking'' Ciri's parents to get her as a destined child), though on the other hand he does some incredibly selfless stuff at times. I think the Butcher of Blaviken story is some good insight into his way of thinking, which you could only call ''pragmatic''. If you want the ''real'' Geralt, don't play his as in the games, as he is an amnesiac, check the books.
>>
>>53498321
>If it is too much of a problem about the gravity and stuff I guess the mecha could be inside the moon.

That depends entirely on how realistic you want your campaign to be, but given that your starting point was "the moon is a mecha", it's probably safe to assume that you're not too concerned about such things. Just ignore the gravitational and ecological impact. This is PLANETARY ROMANCE, not science fiction.

If your players are sticklers about it, just say that, being a mecha, the moon actually has a huge amount of empty space inside of it and as such its gravitational effects on the planet below were always negligible to begin with.
>>
>>53498423
Equipment is 2 longswords, try and get your GM to allow you to make one silvered I guess, and leather or maybe chain armour, but nothing above that.
>>
>>53498122
Stone Sorcerer is pretty fun.
>>
A bit early, but we're past bump limit.
>>53498544
>>53498544
>>53498544
>>
File: IMG_7415.jpg (62KB, 352x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7415.jpg
62KB, 352x475px
Quick we're nowhere near the end, make a new thread!
>>
>>53497913
I have a player who is full on Sam Riegel, and it's amazing how he hasn't seen the show. The more I watch the more I think Marishas a complete airhead.

It's been mentioned how fucked my players would be if they ever did a Meta "Liam's Quest" because the closest to Travis is me, their DM.
>>
>>53497112
Don't forget the Hobbit.
>14 dwarves
>1 halfling
>1 elf (either can't make every session or is sidequesting)
>2 humans
>>
>>53498804
>Gandalf is an Elf

U wot
>>
>>53498804
>14 dwarves
>Not 13
What did they mean by this?

Also, elf and 2 humans? What are you smoking?
>>
>>53498886
I'm guessing he means Bard and Beorn?
>>
>>53497279
Loremaster wizard with 1 level in cleric.
>>
>>53496783
tl;dr
>>
>>53498423
>>53498449

Looks good, thanks
>>
>>53496575
the op has 5e tools which is a great website
>>
Tempest or light cleric? Which nukes better?
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.