[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 393
Thread images: 47

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - back in black edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53464578

How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?
>>
My dick is ready for a Jurassic Park campaign.
>>
What's a good name for a High Priest of Torm?
>>
File: Shin Cooper.jpg (174KB, 1031x768px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Cooper.jpg
174KB, 1031x768px
>>53469947
I need items, magical items for a Hexblade warlock!
Suggestions are fine please and thank you.
>>
>>53469947
Kinda excited I guess, dinotopia and shit

Is any of the third party shit like the Deep Magic pdfs interesting/balanced? Also are they considered homebrew like the horrible kickstarted touch of ass?
>>
>>53469995
Skippy
>>
From previous thread, thought I'd ask my question again for this one. Any recommendations on decent campaigns that could work well with only a GM, 1 player and a GM PC? A girl I've been talking to has expressed interest in playing and I thought I'd show her the ropes with just the two of us before moving onto a larger group campaign.
>>
>>53469947
>>53469750
>>53469770
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html

I just spent an additional $20 on OotA supplementary materials. Haven't gone through it yet, but this one looks super helpful, even if I only use it for the super handy search indexes included for NPCs and other shit in the book.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/187879/Out-of-the-Abyss-DMs-Kit--Screen
>>
>>53470003
A hat that absorbs 1 ranged attack per day, but it flies off. (and might get lost)

A duster that gives +1 charisma and +1 HP per hit die.

A manual of handgun customization and repair, but also inflicts a measure of obession and perfectionism in the reader. (You are willing to pull several guns apart for the absolute best part of each gun).

An amulet that gives you a bonus during high noon, but cursese you if you spend a high noon without firing your gun at an opponent.

A wild horse that blows steam out of its nose.

A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied in it.
>>
>>53469995
Some call him... Tim?
>>
>>53470060
>A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied
I would unironically love an item like this in game.
>>
What happened to weird weapon damage dice?
Why no 3d4 or other such nonsense?
>>
File: 1478199213469.jpg (37KB, 600x528px) Image search: [Google]
1478199213469.jpg
37KB, 600x528px
>>53470060
>A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied in it.
>>
File: 1431959706312.png (374KB, 800x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1431959706312.png
374KB, 800x1082px
>>53470003
Mole teeth amulet, when worn allows one to get a full night’s rest while sleeping on dirt.

Tongue piercing, prevents demons from detecting the wearer’s lies.

Spectacles of colored glass, allow one to see lingering spirits and hidden poltergeists.

Talking, sentient hat with excellent (antiquated) fashion sense.

Ring of stone, can light and extinguish candles from up to 30 ft away.

Silver flute, summons a gremlin with a goblet of seltzer water.

Pseudo-holy water, turns to salt when poured on a cursed object.

River stones, when dropped into water turn it to whiskey.

Pair of boots, walk the wearer home if they pass out.
>>
What are some minor magical items I can give to a party of around level 2-3 because I fucked up and offered it as a reward

Some effect that would be useful to have, but wouldn't just be a +1. Things like

>A hammer that, when the command word is spoken, ignites a small flame. The flame is not hot to the touch and doesn't burn anything but can be used as a torch

Little magical effects that are cool but wouldn't be directly beneficial in combat like a +1 since it's a bit early for it
>>
Why do most level 20 bonuses seem "late" and underwhelming?

Most of them should've been edited to giving their bonus over time. Like the Sorcerer regaining 4 sorcery points on a short rest. Could've been +1 at each of the usual level-ups (4/8/12/16/etc).

Most other classes suffer from similar things you could bitch about with the level 20 bonus.
>>
>>53470141
>Hey we need some level 20 stuff
>Why bother when nobody plays that high?
>We gotta put it in jim
>>
>>53470141
They want to give you powerful end-game progression but yes, they all come far too late. Warlock comes to mind as one of the biggest offenders.
>>
>>53470141
Off the top of my head.. Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Paladin and Artificer have good ones. They all tie into the class and give serious mechanical impact or the ability to just do something awesome (Cleric).

Though even worse are when subclasses get trash capstones. Battlemaster is terrible in every ability after 3, meanwhile Champion sucks at 3 but has one of the greatest passive abilities in the game as a capstone.
>>
>>53470141
Nobody plays at level 20 anyway, so they just didn't bother.
>>
>>53470141
They seem late because if they gave the bonus out as a tiered progression, it would feel even more underwhelming when hitting the cap, and reward multiclassing more.

4 sorcery points in a short rest isn't a huge deal, but compared to 3, it's almost literally nothing. There would be no good reason to take sorcerer to 20 instead of multiclassing.

To fix both problems, I just take capstones and give them as tiered bonuses throughout all levels, but only to single-classed characters. AKA a 5th level sorcerer gets 1 sorcery point per short rest, but a 5th level sorcerer 1st level warlock does not.
>>
>>53470089
Because it's nonsense. Closest you'll get is 2d6.
>>
>>53470182
>>53470158
It's rare but it does happen, I've had 2 games since release that went to 20.

The first one still had shit to do so we spent about 4-5 sessions at level 20 for the big final ending. The game's actually alright at high level play from what I experienced.
>>
>>53470138
see
>>53470107
>>53470060

Also somethings that we've gotten in our campaign that are cool and we use often are magic gauntlets that offer advantage on x skill check if condition x is met. Like advantage of nature checks or persuasion attempts involving money [this is pretty much nessacary since we didn't find out we had to finance the expedition we are on ourselves until we were already a week outside the last major city at the edge of an empire]

Or an itme that give a boon like your crawl speed matches your normal movement speed or wild animals wont attack you unless commanded or provoked.

could always give them a magic item that has the sole property that it emits a harmless and small amount of magic but serves no other purpose.

list

magically hot pepper seeds

a telescope that lets you see another dimension overlaying your own.

A waterskin that never runs out of cheap booze
>>
>>53469947
>How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?
Eh; not very, but enough that I'll check it out.

I'm still waiting on adventure paths set in the locales I'm more actively interested in; we'll see if such things ever come.
>>
>>53470138
I've posted these before because I like them.

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/01/d100-minor-magical-items.html
http://www.occultesque.com/2017/05/1d100-magical-trinkets.html
>>
>>53469947
Not in the slightest honestly, I would rather a setting guide or a crunch book over another adventure. When do we heard more about the upcoming books again?
>>
What are some of the easiest adventures for nooby DM to run? I heard phandelver is good, what else?
>>
>>53470138
Check the DMG for the minor magical effects tables before the magic items. Steal the LoTR magic items that glow in the presence of certain enemies. Give them a magic item that grows with them arbitrarily (it's just a magic sword, no bonus to start out with aside from magic damage). Make the weapon attune to the wielder and fly to their hand on command.
>>
>>53470241
Sunless Citadel got a conversion to 5e, I've wanted to try that out sometime
>>
>>53470241
>>53470253
Sunless Citadel is a classic and really good. Gives the party lots of options to deal with problems and there's some unique fights.
>>
>>53470158
Kek.

A campaign making it to 16 or 17 isn't terribly uncommon in my groups, but we basically never hit 20.

I do feel like more adventures spanning Levels 6-15 in ~200 hours of gameplay (What I'd consider the average length of a campaign) would be very welcome though.

>>53470207
I hear you. I'm of the opinion that the math for skills is much better at 17 than it is the rest of the game, unfortunately.

And it still seems pretty reasonable for the in-combat stuff (Skills are a bit iffy with a potential proficiency gap of 11 or 12 though)
>>
I rolled up a mountain dwarf abjuration wizard. what are some must-have spells and stuff to make a tanky wizard character useful?
>>
>>53470290
Shield, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor. Done.
>>
>>53470290
Mirror image is extremely powerful.
>>
>>53470296
>>53470302
What if I want to get into melee combat? A wizard's gonna run out of spells eventually, right?
>>
>>53470240
>Setting Guide
I just use the old setting guides. I use the Grand History of the Realms + FRCS + PGFR + Underdark + Demihuman Deities + Faiths & Pantheons + Faiths & Avatars + Whatever Regional or Faction book applies.

I mean, I could definitely go for 5e versions of the 2e and 3e FR character options (Crunch Book); but if it's a setting book I would want it to give me something of real value, not just be a reprint of the same stuff I already have: new region; newly detailed faction; *Something*.

But D&D has always had a shortage of decent official adventures; especially ones lasting more than a couple levels, so more of them is welcome.
>>
>>53470354
ask if you can play a bladesinger and do that
>>
>>53470354
Don't. Use cantrips. Or whatever 0 level spells are called in 5e.
>>
>>53470354
If you want to go into melee combat, you need to pick up Bladesinger archetype. But it still does far more to boost your defences, than your offense. You will never even get close to the damage fighter and paladin can dish out, and it's better this way.
>>
Anons? If we got a Sigil Adventurer's Guide, do you think we could get new races in it?

If yes, what ones? The Planescape PHB first came with the Tiefling, Githzerai and Bariaur, whilst the Planewalker's Handbook added the Aasimar, Genasi and Rogue Modron. We've got half of those races already in 5e.
>>
>>53470366
>I just use the old setting guides. I use the Grand History of the Realms + FRCS + PGFR + Underdark + Demihuman Deities + Faiths & Pantheons + Faiths & Avatars + Whatever Regional or Faction book applies.
Same, I want a new setting though. Something different.

There does seem to be a swell of third party content recently though, most of it's trash but hopefully someone makes something decent.

>>53470369
I can only assume you don't play the game.
>>
>>53470367
>>53470376
I'm aware of the bladesinger archetype, was just hoping there was other ways to do a close range tank mage.
>>
>>53469947
>How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?
Eh.

It's no Urban Waterdeep Sandbox Guild Adventure.

I could also go for Halruaan Intrigue; or Something in the city of Shade; or Something set in Ancient Netheril; or Something set in other interesting past time periods. The Crown Wars, Creator Races, The Age Where Dragons Ruled, The Height of Myth Drannor, or what have you.

There's a goldmine of adventure materials I'd buy the fuck out of.

Chult? I guess it could be alright. I'm not exactly what I'd call "excited" though.
>>
>>53470406
Shocking Grasp and Sword Burst. Either that or just use GFB and BB.
>>
>>53470054
Why? There are free materials online.
>>
Is PAM worth it on a Kensai? It seems like the reaction attack could be good and once I get the +3 Weapon ability it would carry onto my bonus action attack.
>>
>>53469947
Tiefling with fighter dip for profs and weapon style, or Variant Human with Heavily armored feat for Hexblade?
>>
>>53470382
>swell of third party content
Which third party content do you mean? the bits of FR setting stuff on DMs Guild?

>New Setting
Ah. I don't really care if I get a new setting. If it's good I'd use it, otherwise I'd ignore it. I'm liking that Faerun is finally getting module support. I like that they've realized Pathfinder's model of selling adventures is a good idea, rather than whatever the fuck WotC was doing in 3e, which has like what - 2 full sized adventures?

Also, apparently Setting Books never sold very well.

I'd be pretty hyped for a 5e Planescape Adventure, or a 5e Spelljammer adventure though.

Hell, even a 5e Ravnica or Lorwyn or Theros or (Ancient Past) Tarkir AP could be pretty sweet.
>>
>>53470451
Kensai 1.0 absolutely.

Kensai 2.0, ehhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>53470435
Convenience, low prices, and good customer reviews on the stuff I bought.

Also, the parts of the review I've heard are weak, people have expanded on those.

Like Gracklstugh being restructured; or more fleshed out "Random Encounters" sections to use in the campaign. (Those are the main areas I've seen expanded)

It's not like they were expensive.

And yeah, I will go through and use a bunch of the free stuff, too.
>>
>>53470490
*Parts of the adventure I've heard are weak in reviews
>>
>>53470452
V.Human, though it's not really needed because you could take any feat, have 14 DEX and get a better feat easily.

Are you doing a Cursebringer build?

>>53470455
>Ravnica or Lorwyn or Theros or (Ancient Past) Tarkir
All good ones, the Zendikar art book has some interesting lore that tie into things and gives dungeon ideas. Issue is Zendikar is basically Eldrazi and they're a hard thing to balance PC's fighting.

Lorwyn was my favorite setting ever made, issue is they say the "Lack of any humans alienated players" or some shit and bascially said they'll never touch it again. Theros is kinda bland.

Ravnica could be an interesting one, any city plane could be refluffed into it pretty easy.

Tarkir would be amazing for D&D. Fighting mongol Orcs riding giant boars, Snake people sacrificing people in jungles, Djini Monks in their mountain temples... Fuck I'm actually considering making the game I'll be running set there.
>>
>>53470500
Yep, Cursebringer. Which is the only reason I'm even in the predicament. Makes me too MAD for my liking without some min/maxing.
>>
Starting an assassination rogue next week, how important are utilizing poisons and does anyone have any interesting Homebrew poisons I might convince my Gm to allow?
>>
If I wanted to be a Gunslinger character, should I just roll a gunsmith character or go EB Warlock with some fluff (that my DM would allow)
>>
>>53470500
>Lorwyn was my favorite setting ever made, issue is they say the "Lack of any humans alienated players" or some shit and bascially said they'll never touch it again.
Thats a shame. I fucking loved Lorwyn.
>>
I want to be teleporting as much as I can.
Is being a nomad mystic my best option?

Would it be a bad thing if we changed their modifier to wis?
>>
>>53470507
Yeah it does, I'd go pure Warlock and take Heavy Armour.

>>53470512
Play any martial and ask to use the gun rules in the DMG, or play a Gunsmith Artificer.
>>
>>53470510
The problem is that the crafting rules as written are such garbage and the only poisons you'd likely have time to craft would be basic ones. But their DC's are so easy to beat they're irrelevant. And the damage they do if failed is negligible. Plus they take an action to apply, and wear off rather quickly (from your weapons, that is). Not to mention so many things resist poison or are just straight up immune to it.

If your DM is a cool guy, tell him you're interested in brewing potions and ask him to have fun with coming up with recipes and special poisons you can make.
>>
>>53470512
I don't really care for Gunsmith. It's too magic artificer-y.

I'd probably try to get the GM to allow multishot (or quickloading, so you're getting your multiple attacks a round) firearms on a fighter, maybe Battlemaster.

If concerns about damage output being high are brought up I'd point at Warlock.
>>
>>53470512
EB Warlock.
Your focus (what you use to fire your EB shots) is a broken pistol you were gonna use to take your own life. It jammed on you. And at that moment, a demon appeared offering you a deal to improve your life.
>>
>>53470532
>If concerns about damage output being high are brought up I'd point at Warlock.
Except Warlock does lower damage in it's base, doesn't have +2 on attack rolls, Sharpshooter and is only d10?

Personally I'd rather give Rogue proficiency with guns and leave it at that. Higher damage then it's other options but it has the obvious gun drawbacks.

>>53470512
Refluff a Handcrossbow.
>>
>>53470542
Edgy.
>>
>>53470552
You betcha, kid.
>>
With all this talk about guns and warlocks, how would one use the arcane gunslinger invocation effectively?
>>
I'm trying to think of a weapon that gets stronger the more things it kills. Which one do you think would be better, /5eg/, a weapon that gets stronger every few kills, but resets after a while, or a sword that needs a LOT of kills for each upgrade but keeps the upgrades permanently?
>>
>>53470549
But it scales to quite a bit, with all those extra rays, plus you realistically add knockback to them after a few levels, letting you use it to push people off cliffs at best, or at worst, kite them and give the group a huge advantage.
>>
>>53470561
Stronger every few kills. That way it ramps up the longer a battle takes.
>>
>>53470559
Well it's made for modern games, so summon an automatic weapon and fuck people up I guess?

>>53470561
Never, ever, ever give PC's the second one. You just don't. They will become insane cultists killing thousands of innocents for their sword powers.
>>
>>53470559
homebrew so that you can add your charisma modifier to the shots.
>>
>>53470572
The only way you do the second one is if you curse the sword so that at a certain point it's so bloodthirsty it kills the user.
>>
>>53470571
>>53470572
These are both excellent points. Thanks!
>>
>>53470561
WebDM talked about a beefy intelligent sword that only granted magic when fed innocent lives on a quasi regular basis. That sounded pretty fun.
>>
>>53470561
I think something with a temporary effect would be more reasonable though something that scales indefinitely would obviously be stronger.
>>
>>53470570
V.Human Sharpshooter Fighter at level 5 with a Rifle. 2d12+8+20 damage with +4 Attack.

Warlock does 2d10+8 with +7 Attack.

So it's an average of 41 versus 19... If you add Hex then Warlock goes up to 26 but then Battlemasters get Superiority Dice.

The balancing fact to Ranged weapons getting such a good Fighting Style is the fact melee Fighters can use a 1d12 or 2d6 die... Giving that to Ranged Fighter's is just silly when they normally need to invest a feat to get more then 1d8.
>>
>>53470518
Shadow Monk.

They have at-will teleportation, and gain advantage in the next attack from using it.
>>
>>53470572
>They will become insane cultists killing thousands of innocents for their sword powers
And that would be.... Bad?

But think of all the fun adventuring that could lead to.
>>
>>53470618
Hmm. Fair points. I hadn't expected the gap to be that big.
>>
>>53470451
Eh on the first version of the Kensai it might work.

On the second you can forget it.

The second is best used with a Whip, Longsword, Hand Crossbow or Longbow with ranged weapons getting far better support.
>>
>>53469995
Zaindir.
>>
>>53470626
The problem is this requires darkness...
Unfortunately I don't see that being very common in this campaign.

I'm thinking of trying to use something with blink perhaps? I had considered perhaps trickery cleric/monk. Or trickery cleric/rogue.
>>
>>53470676
All Shadow Monk needs is dim light. You just need it to be anything besides High Noon for that. Just step into the shadow of a building and you're set
>>
>>53470456
>>53470662
I'm sadly the second because it is better balanced and actually works.

I guess I'll go with my backup option, two daggers and asking my DM if I can change my bonus action punch to dagger stabs for the same damage.

Any good feats for that or should I just play a non-human?
>>
File: mech servant.png (118KB, 464x1212px) Image search: [Google]
mech servant.png
118KB, 464x1212px
Thoughts on my custom Artificer Mechanical servant I made a while ago?
>>
>>53470618
>sharpshooter is overpowered
>who knew
You are kind of an idiot, if you as a GM, doesn't make sure to either tweak everyone around a GWM/SS, or nerf those feats.

Because you, me and everyone else, is fully aware of how much it skews the damage, and far too quickly. I tend to now allow it until 12th level at least, on grounds that no, you are not any kind of master or sharpshooter at level fucking 1.

That has helped being the balance much closer. Martials are still best early, but not by *too much*, and once the casters get going, the martials get access to GWM/SS/equivalent feat based on their chosen weapon
>>
>>53470726
>I tend to now allow it until 12th level at least
I do the same thing except I found level 8 works best. If I'm having a discussion about damage comparisons in the game I'm not going to shove my houserules in though.
>>
>>53470435
Plus, everything has been formatted in a way that makes it convenient for me to print out, stick in a binder or a series of duotangs, and (if desired), to highlight the important bits and whatnot.
>>
>>53470702
Mobile is always good.

Ritual Caster (Cleric) is great for party support.

My advice to you tho is to use a Longsword as your main Melee weapon and Darts as your mair ranged weapon since they don't require any additional actions to draw two of them on your turn and it's easy to switch your grip with a longsword to a onehanded one so you can use both.
Grab the Sharpshooter feat and you are on a roll.

Blade Mastery is also a good feat for Kensai monks.

If your DM allows you UA multiclass then grab the Hunter Conclave Revised ranger for 3 or 4 levels since the combo is pretty great with Colossus Slayer netting you a 1d8 damage bonus per turn as well as Favoured Enemy (Humanoids) netting you an additional +2 damage and Great Weapon Fighter or Dueling giving you an effective +2 boost as well.
>>
>>53470713
Rules on oil consumption, please.
>>
>>53470760
Hmm I seem to have lost the final draft of this but if I remember correctly the idea was that the flame belch consumed a gallon as a cost and at the start of each turn you needed to roll a d6, on a 1(fail) a gasket would blow and trigger the faulty seal ability
>>
Does Arcane Archer damage from the Arrows crti? What about the AoE damage from the Evocation one?
>>
>>53470785
AOE damage is save or suck. Since there's no attack roll for it then it can't crit.
>>
>>53470821
>>53470785
>You imbue your arrow with a blast of force energy drawn from the school of evocation. If the arrow hits a creature, the target and each creature within 10 feet of it takes 2d6 force damage. The force damage increases to 4d6 when you reach 18th level with this class.

No save and it is part of the attacks damage... So I've got no fucking idea desu.
>>
>>53470785
Ran into this last game I personally ruled against it and said I'd look more into it after the game. I think i'm going to let it crit from now on though.
>>
>>53470857
>>53470830
Personally I'd say it does, but probably not meant to. If it really became an issue then I'd just say the Crit damage only works on the original target. So he takes 4d6 and everyone else 2d6.
>>
any stupid oversights in the original source for 5e (non ua) i should know about? anything particularly broken that I should look over before i dm 5e for the first time?
>>
>>53470993
Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master, and Polearm Master are all waaaay overpowered, particularly at the low levels.
>>
>>53470993
Most of the broken stuff aside from >>53471009 is broken too weak, not broken too strong.

Particularly the PHB Ranger, 4 Elements Monk, and Sorcerer.

Warlock is reasonably effective, but boring and repetitive.

Skillchecks: Make sure you use group skillcheck rules for "whole group needs to pass" scenarios, like group stealth; and make sure you only allow a single check (with other players assisting) for "Knowledge and Information" checks for the group, such as Investigation and Arcana. The math if you allow everyone to roll individually in either situation is bullshit.
>>
>>53470530
Thanks for the advice.. maybe I can find some uses for airborne poisons that won't kill everything and fuck over my party in the process
>>
>>53470542
Really cool concept but I cringe to think about the edgelord weeb who will inevitably play this
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-010.jpg (1MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-010.jpg
1MB, 1987x3056px
I'm considering making a character based off Koleshi the Deathless, so naturally I'm going to storytime who that is for you kind anons.
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-011.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-011.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471064
Spelled it wrong but you get the idea.
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-012.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-012.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471075
>>
>>53471029
How would a group skill check work? Just the player with the highest bonus makes the roll?

I've always done each player rolls for the check and if one passes they share what they find
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-013.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-013.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471081
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-014.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-014.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471095
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-015.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-015.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471102
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-016.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-016.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471111
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-017.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-017.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471120
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-018.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-018.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471128
>>
File: 1492935069954.png (27KB, 741x609px) Image search: [Google]
1492935069954.png
27KB, 741x609px
>shitting up the general with your shit comic
>>
>>53471084
Group Skillchecks are for when one failure stops the group from accomplishing their goals (rules in DMG p. 175). The most common example of this is Stealth.

IE, the "Only the expert can do this" which results in splitting the party, because if the whole group attempts it it's basically a guaranteed failure.

Group Checks make the probabilities far more reasonable.

What you're describing is for information, and it tends to have math broken the other way. The party is basically guaranteed to pass, and (unless the DC is higher than ~23) will do so without needing someone who actually took proficiency in the skill, and if someone DID take it, a very large chunk of the time it will be one of the people who didn't who will succeed instead; so you're generally better off investing in non-information skills instead, because they'll be far more useful, far more often.

I'm suggesting that to address this, only the best total gets a check for information skills, and the rest of the group can use the assisting rules to help, but don't get individual rolls.
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-019.jpg (1MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-019.jpg
1MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471135
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-020.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-020.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471147
>>53471141
calm your titties it's just about done anyway.
>>
File: 1469580289256.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1469580289256.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>53471141
>frogposting
>>
File: Hellboy - Weird Tales-021.jpg (2MB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - Weird Tales-021.jpg
2MB, 1987x3056px
>>53471157
There you go.

Now what would be a good way to play a similar character?

Oathbreaker (Previously Redemption) or Fighter Revenant seems the obvious choices, but Revenant is OP as fuck. Warlock could fit for flavor as well.
>>
>>53471029
gracias amigo
>>
>>53470735
It depends on the party. Usually it works best for mine at around 12, because that's when people really starts to get going. Only martialfags in my group min/max like some /tg/ regular.
>>
File: frog_with_sweater.png (10KB, 576x347px) Image search: [Google]
frog_with_sweater.png
10KB, 576x347px
>>53471159
>amphibian signaling
>>
>>53470993
Encounter balance gets fucked by the weapon feats in the PHB.

Warlock is too good for to allow multiclassing with.

Sorcerrer is a weaker Wizard but usually gets good passives.
It's a good entry for new players who want to play spellcasters.

Monks have a paper thin combat capability limited to their stun niche and are otherwise outclassed by rogues in every aspect.
You might want to homerule them getting a d10 Hp die and FOB dealing 3 hits instead of 2 at lvl 10 or higher.

PHB ranger only needs a fix for Beastmaster companion scaling/command and for Favoured enemy being too specific and not offering any real abilities. Seriously just slap on the Favoured Enemy feature from the Revised Ranger UA and you are good.

Make sure you don't let your players roll on their own.
Just openly tell them the DC and skill check they need to beat to achieve something.
Keep it transparent and they'll get along well.
>>
Anyone have any good ideas for some back up people for my Changeling Assassin/Fighter to be? My main one's a Dwarven Noble Warrior.
>>
>>53471206
Can't go wrong with an unassuming looking Courier.
>>
>>53471147
Supposedly this nigga is somewhat where the concept of a "Lich" came up, with a Phylactery and shit.
>>
>everyone in the party is good or neutral alignment
>lawful good dwarven cleric fireballs 20 dwarven children and a bunch of giants despite being blatantly told that the fireball will kill the children.
>look at him in the eyes "are you sure you want to do this? your god will most likely never forgive you for this"
>he does it
>tell him he loses half his cleric and paladin character levels, and the rest are converted into fighter
>commits seppuku ingame

who else /mastermind/ here?
>>
>>53471289
>>tell him he loses half his cleric and paladin character levels, and the rest are converted into fighter
I've never been a fan of this style, personally I'd remove all subclass abilities from them but let them maintain a divine connection. When they find a new god who approves of them slaughtering people then they can get a new subclass.

Who was his God and what was his Oath?
>>
>>53471143
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense
>>
>>53471289
>dming 3 games at once
>lazy and i'm running them through the same homebrewed story
>running 3 6 hour sessions a week is actually exhausting
>each group knows i run more than one group a week, and i've mentioned i can't do it
>get brilliant idea
>catch them all up with each other storyline wise, give smaller group extra goodies
>end each of the sessions with them all entering an arena
>reschedule all of the groups on the same day, at the same time
>they're all confused when they show up to my house, the first guys that came wondered why I move two more tables to my living room, looks hella autistic
>after everyone arrives I tell them that the arena is a cursed multi-dimensional pit controlled by a chaotic demon with immense power
>he says that each band of adventurers will fight for their dimension, and the last team standing will be allowed to return to their home
>the rest will be destroyed, along with their world

it ended up being 12 rounds over 5 and a half hours, the group of 4 got shafted nearly instantly and a group of 5 beat the group of 6 because the group of 5 had a bunch of aoe and got lucky on application

>a warlock rolled a 20 on his death saving throw, and ended up finger of deathing a guy and outright killing him
>a sorcerer wildmagic fireballed his own party on round 1
>i let the survivors have a 25% chance of securing every magical item on the corpses before the demon teleported them back to their dimension
>the group of 4 were pretty upset and didn't have that much fun except for one guy who stayed until the end despite dying nearly instantly
>everyone else told me they loved it even though it was very difficult to manage that many players and to make sure they weren't trying to cheat (of which there was a lot of attempts of, but I don't run my game super strict and don't care too much of whether one guy took one more movement than he should have, etc so it could have just been other players not letting those oversights pass)
>>
So statistically speaking, which is better for moving enemies around?

Lightning Lure, a STR save, or Thorn Whip, a melee spell attack?

No GOO pullblast shenanigans allowed.
>>
>>53471289
So you're a shitty GM? Why wouldn't he become an Oathbreaker?
>>
>>53471489
he's a good guy dwarven cleric and he bbq'd a bunch of dwarven children for a battle that would was easily won anyway, he did it because he wanted 'the highest damage in a round stat' so he got punished.
>>
>>53471489
No reason a DM couldn't have pallys be based on a god rather than their own ego-i mean devotion like in older editions.
>>
File: 1295606516708.png (445KB, 715x700px) Image search: [Google]
1295606516708.png
445KB, 715x700px
>>53471523
>he did it because he wanted 'the highest damage in a round stat'
>>
>>53471289
Light Cleric of Kossuth and Oathbreaker sounds good for him, not powerful but cool.
>>
>>53470515
You think you have it rough, Kamigawa was my favorite set ever, and storm is my favorite set mechanic.
>>
>>53471580
he's dead

but i felt bad so i was gonna reincarnate him as one of the highest level of repentance is probably honorable suicide

I think i'm gonna take away his light (fireball powers) or whichever domain is the one that gives him fireballs and make him choose a different one and probably one other caveat i haven't decided on yet.
>>
>>53471656
Make his magic incapable of harming anyone, at all, ever. Until he directly saves lives equal to those he took.
>>
File: ynjFcBw.jpg (99KB, 557x561px) Image search: [Google]
ynjFcBw.jpg
99KB, 557x561px
I'm doing some world-building right now, and I think I'm going to allow elves to grow facial hair. I want to make it a sign of maturity, basically implying elves just go through their 'teens'/puberty for what seems like an eternity. That explains why most of them behave like haughty self-absorbed retards that act like they know everything (especially compared to other shorter-lived races).

Most elderly elves go through a ritual to erase those times out of their minds, as the amount of cringe-worthy memories would drive them insane. Mean-spirited elves try to record each other's embarrassing deeds and preserve them for as long as possible, as an attempt to spite the other for an eternity. Elven stand-up comedy is often based on a form of sadism and retelling of ancient foolish behaviour from others frowned upon by the more kind-hearted and religious types.
>>
Hi all, I'm Lloking for an adventure path for my group after we finish Lost Mines of Phandelver. They seem to the non-combat parts of the game the most, so preferably something that doesn't focus on dungeon crawls. Any suggestions? I was looking at Storm King's Thunder and Curse of Strahd atm.
>>
File: IMG_0423.jpg (93KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0423.jpg
93KB, 2048x1024px
How would one go about making an archetypical Ice magic-based Fencer, with the benifit of starting at level 10?

Haven't made a 5e character since near launch, and I'm joining a friend's campaign.
>>
>>53471850
Curse of Strahd is the best adventure book yet.
>>
>>53471866
Dragon Sorcerer/Swashbuckler

Chose a White Dragon for you ancestor and take Ice spells. Probably 3 in Sorcerer and the rest in Swashbuckler.

If you don't mind being a bit less effective in combat, taking the Arcane Trickster option for your Rogue to get more spell casting.

You could also go for a Hexblade Warlock and take Cold spells to use while wielding a Rapier in melee.
>>
>>53471866
Ask your DM to switch the damage type from one of the bladespells from fire/sonic to cold.

From there on, it depends how cast-y and how fight-y you want to be.
>>
>>53471790
Elves have always been able to grow beards. They just have a cultural leaning to not wear them.
>>
>>53471970
unless of course in your universe they can't, until now.
>>
>>53471443
That sounds pretty awesome anon. But I assume the campaign has ended for the loser groups? That's kinda shitty to them, no?
>>
File: 1433716581317.png (41KB, 213x201px) Image search: [Google]
1433716581317.png
41KB, 213x201px
>>53471850
We played Storm King's Thunder this season

It wasn't that great, the first half was "open world" which we felt was poorly conceived, there's tons of content covering everywhere you might go, however none of it is really good and the whole thing lacks focus
The second half is more on-rails, however the fights are pants on head retarded, the challenge is completely abnormal and it's pretty much impossible unless you assume giants have no ears and can't ever hear what's going on in the next room. Furthermore, no sane player character would ever go anywhere near the places the adventure asks them to go to. It makes no sense, it's suicide.

Also, both in the first and second halves, you only really see about one sixth of the content in the book, so it feels like you haven't really done much at all.

Overall I'd rate it quite poorly.
>>
>>53472089
>tfw ranting about SKT last night
This is a much shorter version of my complaints, too. Especially the fights and giants being deaf.
>>
>>53471289
>Attacked at a masquerade ball
>Hear some screaming in another room upstairs we can't really see into well
>Neutral good wizard just fireballs into the fucking room
>Room is covered in burnt dead bodies and there is a fire elemental in the middle of the room
>'oh no, look what the elemental did!'
I hate fireball
>>
>>53471289
it's 4am and i forgot what a radius is
I question whether Dwarven children would die to a fireball.

Dwarves are compact creatures to begin with. They have a low mass to surface area ratio, meaning they're going to take less blast wave to begin with and its forces will be better distribtued through their bodies.

Dwarven children are also fucking short, so they're even more likely to keep out of the way of the most damaging parts of the blast. In fact, it's not even much of a blast; it's just rapid deflagration.

Dwarven children also hang out near forges all the time, so they're used to the heat.

Now let's remember that you're using a fireball to fight GIANTS, who are fucking tall. You're not throwing this fireball at the ground and singing the giants' feet, are you? It would be an airburst fireball, somewhere around gut height, because you want to concentrate the force of your blast on all those sensitive giant parts and get their faces singed. Who cares if their toes get warmed? The bottom of the sphere, down where any dwarven children might be, would be much smaller. Think about the bottom of a 20' radius fireball sphere and how miniscule that's got to be at ground level. Aim your fireball high enough and you hit nothing. Aim it at the giants' faces and you encompass only four tiles on the ground. How many kids are in these tiles? Why not aim slightly higher and hit none, but still scorch most of the giant?

Given that giants already take up Huge-sized tiles, how many children could you possibly fit under them? Dwarves are broad, even kids. They'd be more spread out. And would they be in the giants' spaces? Did you just have a carpet of Dwarven children in this battle zone underfoot of the giants?

What I'm saying is, there's some logistical problems to this situation of blowing up 20 children with a fireball while fighting giants.
That Cleric didn't kill any children--YOU DID. You contrived a nearly impossible situation and ignored all the outs.
>>
>>53472077
>That's kinda shitty to them, no?

i cannot run 18 hours a week of games

its too much, especially with prep and ideas and such
>>
File: barbecuingchildrenonmemorialday.jpg (841KB, 3484x1096px) Image search: [Google]
barbecuingchildrenonmemorialday.jpg
841KB, 3484x1096px
>>53472150
>>
>>53472150
is this bait?

assuming you're not retarded nor a troll (i'm not even the poster)

there are many possibilities to where 20 children could fit into a 40x40 area, they could be stacked, or tied up next to eachother, you could easily fit 20 people into a 10x10 room, and many more if you physically restrained them.

the fireball does 8d6 damage, it's the abstracted way to find out whether something dies or not. dwarven children probably do not have 8d6 damage

>That Cleric didn't kill any children--YOU DID. You contrived a nearly impossible situation and ignored all the outs.

literally kys senpai
>>
>>53471970
>They just have a cultural leaning to not wear them.
They truly are a bunch of fucking gutless sissies.
>>
>>53472158
This makes me wonder, how does everyone calculate AoE when doing grid combat while not online? Do you calculate the exact amount of squares, just roughly estimate or just do a square instead of a circle like my group for some stupid reason
>>
>>53472179
>a 10x10 room in which at least one giant is standing, moving around, and fighting
Might as well have the Dwarven Gods smite the entire party for being the temerity to start a giant fight when there are so many children nearby and any giant taking a step anywhere necessarily squashes three of them.
>you swing your warhammer at the giant's ankle, because that's obviously the only place you can reach
>16
>he barely dodges your blow by sweeping his foot back, PLOWING THROUGH SEVEN CHILDREN AND SLAMMING THEM INTO A WALL
great job, child murderer
>>
>>53472196
What?
>>
What is the best use of a flight speed? DM said I could use anything from PHB, SCAG and Volo's so I want to make a winged Tiefling.
>>
File: targeting2.png (5KB, 309x291px) Image search: [Google]
targeting2.png
5KB, 309x291px
>>53472196
There are many schemes for determining which areas in an AoE are actually "hit". You can go with "the area encompasses any part of the tile" or "looks like it has most of the tile", but my party uses "touches one side of a tile". None of this halfsies bullshit like the top example.
>>
>>53472215
>any giant taking a step anywhere necessarily squashes three of them.
Quote the rule which allows that, because we can quote the rule justifying how a fireball can kill a group of children. 5e has RULES.
>>
>>53472215
>>53472215
holy shit kill yourself, i only brought up the room to show you that you can literally have a pile of 20 kids that can easily fit in a 10x10 area, giving total plausibility to the story of the dm
>>
I can't figure out a way to roleplay a nonevil tempest cleric.

I figured I'd make him a CN cleric of Umberlee, but why would a chaotic evil deity whose whole deal is making the oceans suck for the pure sake of it keep granting power to someone who's not going to fuck over people for no reason?
>>
>>53472196
squares make it easier fuck realism
>>
File: babyarmor.jpg (130KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
babyarmor.jpg
130KB, 612x612px
>>53472245
Doesn't matter if it's a 10x10 room on its own that a giant inexplicably fits in or just a 10x10 section of any room which the giant takes up because that's how big his token is. That is his area of control in the fight, it's the space he has to move around in as he dodges or attacks, the same way that PCs are not 5x5x5 cubes.

How do you fit that many children in such an area and let the giant run around and fight without squashing them? Are they tied to his legs?

Was pic related the fucking encounter?
>>
>>53472262
like i said, 10% of the area could contain all of the dwarven children alone
>>
File: mazingerchildren.png (176KB, 882x1300px) Image search: [Google]
mazingerchildren.png
176KB, 882x1300px
>>53472262
And this is closer to scale.
>>
>>53472284
>aim fireball higher
>>
We have a "season finale" weekend coming up and we're supposed to make a second character to have on standby in case something happens to our main character, what should I make?

For most of this season I played a Divination Wizard, but he died recently, and now I play a Goliath Barbarian (wolf aspect). He's cool.

Anyway what should I make? Are Favoured Soul sorcerers any good?
>>
>>53472300
>dwarven children always trickle down to the lowest available area
>>
>>53472302
>Anyway what should I make
Mastermind rogue 3/battlemaster fighter everything else. Report results.
>>
>>53472310
Multiclassing is banned

Also we're not allowed to use psionics and guns
>>
File: Overlord with mistresses.jpg (290KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord with mistresses.jpg
290KB, 1280x800px
>>53472322
Oath of conquest paladin. Be the Overlord.
>>
File: bugbearkisser.png (1MB, 946x555px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearkisser.png
1MB, 946x555px
>>53472302
>your PC dies
>how will we handle this dramatic final encounter
>what mysterious figure will come to our aid
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hQkSbutQyQ
B U G B E A R M O N T
>>
>>53472350
>BAH GOD THAT'S BUGBEARMONT'S THEME MUSIC
>HE'S IN THE RAFTERS! HE'S IN THE RAFTERS!
>OHHHHHH, HE JUST DIVING ELBOW DROPPED STRAHD! THAT MAN HAD THRALLS!
>HE'S SETTING UP FOR THE BRAINBUSTER! OH, THE HUMANITY!
>>
so is this thread dead or what?
>>
>>53472588
Sure is a lot of talk about killing dwarven children. These people sound like horrible players and DMs.
>>
>>53472636
I'm more talking about the fact that no one posted for half an hour
>>
How do we save this thread /5eg/?
>>
>>53471457
Thorn whip if you deal with anything humanoid.
>>
Can my sorcerer blink while carrying a bag of holding?
>>
Are really all the maps for PotA just DM maps? Are there no player maps?
>>
>>53471457
Reflected repelling blast fightersorlock. Use magical mirrors.
>>
I want to bind death avatar. I just want to know if it possible.
>>
File: 1383332437987.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1383332437987.gif
999KB, 250x251px
We want to make a more realistic damage system, do you think the below is going to work?

The below is in addition to normal hitpoints and all the normal rules for damage, it is not a replacement.
Every player has Vitality equal to level + constitution.
For every 10 points of damage taken (rounded down), he loses 1 Vitality.
After every long rest, players recover 3 Vitality.
Using a medicine kit doubles that amount.
Magical healing grants no benefit.
If a player drops to 0 Vitality, he dies.
Effects that allow a PC to survive at 1 HP instead of dying (Death Ward, Barbarians, Shadow Sorcerer etc) also allow a PC to survive at 1 Vitality instead of dying.

I want to keep it simple, and not risk outright death all the time due to criticals like the UA system which is very cumbersome and makes no sense.
>>
>>53472926
This is neither more realistic, nor simple.
>>
>>53472926
Did you see my post on max HP loss at 0 yesterday?

That system sounds kind of fine. The main problem is it's a bit of extra faff, I guess.
>>
>>53469995
Sadiq, after the greatest mayor London has ever seen.

I mean, Torm's a god of healing and protection, right? That's basically Islam.
>>
>>53472926

What's wrong with the default Vitality system?
>>
>>53472981
Well shit I thought it'd be simple, just deduct 1 Vit for every 10 dmg

>>53472982
Is your system even simpler?
>>
>>53472588
5e is dying (due to lack of content and an extremely limited, boring combat system), and other RPGs such as 4e, FFG Star Wars, Dungeon World, Burning Wheel, and Shadowrun are experiencing a mild resurgence.
>>
>>53473002
Islam is a religion of Conquest and Enslavement so nah.
It's full on on the evil side of the specturm.

You don't even need a poltard to say that to you.
>>
>Pathfinder General has animeposting
>5e has Blackposting

It's like poetry.
>>
>>53473108
Islam is a religion of peace, love and brotherhood. Literally everyone in the news and politics will tell you that, just as Obama.
>>
File: anon's vit system.png (20KB, 580x344px) Image search: [Google]
anon's vit system.png
20KB, 580x344px
>>53472926
>Every player has Vitality equal to level + constitution.
>For every 10 points of damage taken (rounded down), he loses 1 Vitality.

I made a graph because I spotted a flaw.
d12 users need to rest more than d6 users.
Essentially, a high con wizard can recover from your loss of vitality concept more often than a barbarian.
>>
>>53470047
Play FATAL while dicking her
>>
>>53473123
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
Keep things on topic for now.

If you need a god of protection and healing just mix up some aspects of Buddah, Jesus and pick a random warrior god or hero to throw into the mix.
>>
>>53473108
remind me which religion literally had "conquistadors" and ran the largest slave system in history?
>>
I posted this last night, but I didn't get a response and I'm still looking for help with it
Am playing a stone sorcerer, full melee based focused on booming blade + metamagic stuff.
My DM is being cool and is buffing sorc a bit to be a bit closer to wizard, including replacing "Spells known" with level + modifier.
Though my Charisma is pretty low (+2 to start, and will probably max Str and Con first), so i'm trying to avoid spells that require a save/attack roll. I was trying to think ahead for spells to pick, so I'm not fucking around trying to pick. Is this a decent list, considering I have level + 2 spells known
Starting at level 3:
Shield, Absorb Elements (not a sorc spell but DM allowing because it's fitting)
Enlarge, Mirror Image, Misty Step
Level 4, Spider Climb(?)
Level 5: Haste, replace spider climb with Blink
Level 6: Fly
Level 7: Greater Invis
Level 8: Dimension Door
Level 9: Wall of Stone

I feel like I could get more utility, though maybe thats from trying to compare Sorc to Wizard. I would like Hold Person for quicken + booming blade for easy crit shenanigans, but with my DC only being 12 atm, I feel like it's unlikely to work.
>>
>>53473086
The one I suggested was

'When you take damage beyond 0 HP, you lose max HP instead. You only restore max HP when returning to town to rest'. Though that last clause is intended for a dungeoncrawling game where you might likely be having long rests in a dungeon.

I think the main concerns over what I suggested were either making con even more important or everybody having more HP overall, but I'm fine with people having more HP and.. Well, I think vitality probably makes con more important too.
Also had the idea of having a 'luck' stat for rolls that ordinarily could have no modifier equal to [15-(Point Bought Con)] to give people a reason therefore not to always have 14 or 16 con.
>>
>>53473160
Conqistadors were Spanish colonizers.

Yeah they were pretty brutal but the church activley discouraged slavery.

And the people they ended up enslaving were humans who were willing to do human sacrifices so they are most definetly an upgrade in that regard.

Meanwhile Jihadists still exist and still enslave people while the largest slave-traficking organisation in the world is still run by Arabs.

Allright enough of RP-ing as Sven Kekoldson for you.

Talk more about D&D less about /leftypol/ delusions.

For example what new rogue subclasses would you like to see?
Any new or old monastic traditions for monks?
Some elemetnalist Ranger archetype?
>>
>>53473222
>>53473086
Oh, also -
"When you use healing word, cure wounds or mass healing word the targets gain temporary HP equal to the amount healed for one round". Since without death saves those spells have less purpose. So they're kinda spells to save someone from dying if you don't want to save the spell slot for prayer of healing.

and 'you don't go unconscious at 0 HP, but you die at 0 max HP' in case that needed to be say.
>>
File: latest.jpg (95KB, 800x685px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
95KB, 800x685px
I've got a really stupid question about Clerics in 5e that came up during my session yesterday. Did they remove the domain limitations from Clerics? My previous D&D experience is 3.5 where that was a big deal, but I was quickly paging through the handbook an I couldn't find anything about things like Life Clerics not being able to use Death spells, for example.
>>
>>53473160
The Islamic slave trade was and still is one of the largest and most horrific systems of domination and enslavement Humanity has ever seen.
>>
>>53473261
Why are the Swedish so cuckolded and browbeaten? What happened to them?

In fact, why are Somalians so attracted to Swedes? The number one immigrant population to our Swedish-dominated states in the USA are Somalians.
>>
>>53473323
Technically Clerics don't even have to follow a god.

But domain restrictions aren't absolute, more of a guideline.
>>
>>53473323
There's no mechanical limitation, no.
>>
>>53473341
I don't know.
Ask this question on /pol/.

This is a tabletop thread.
>>
>>53473364
Tabletop from a company that actively engages in conversations like this?

Why is WOTC allowed to talk about race and gender but people who play WOTC are not?
>>
>>53473354
>>53473361
Thanks. That's what I thought and that's how we played, it just felt kind of weird seeing a Life Cleric use Blight.
>>
>>53473331
Yup, no enslavement in history that was worse in scale or in severity.
>>
>>53473384
Oh, you mean school restrictions, not god domain restrictions.

Nobody is banned from any particular school of magic. Not even wizards. If it's on their class spell list, they get access to it. Domains merely give you extra spells to the flavour of their domain.
>>
>>53473395
There really was not.

But nobody likes to talk about the Barbary Corsairs or Janissaries because it's problematic.
>>
>>53473408
Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the term clash.
>>
>>53473384
I think the deity might want to have a word with a cleric who makes it a habit or maybe even does it once, but that depends on a lot of things and isn't a flat out ban built into the rules.
>>
>>53473323
No, it works very similar to 3e. You're thinking of 2e priest spheres.
>>
File: divine word.png (160KB, 250x284px) Image search: [Google]
divine word.png
160KB, 250x284px
I think I found some stupidly OP trick with the UA lore wizard and want to know why it won't work (Besides GM says so).

At level 14, we get an ability that lets us borrow a spell from another class list once per long rest. We're going to use Divine Word (level 7)
With alchemical casting and a level 2 spell, we can extend it's range to 1 mile, which means the spell range is pretty much limited to shouting distance only (which we can increase by casting thaumaturgy beforehand).

Now Divine word affects any creature that we choose, within range. Since the range is now one mile, it's limited by how far we can shout (the target needs to hear the word).

So am I correct in noting that a Lore Wizard could pretty much make an entire army drop dead with this?
>>
>>53473142
Yeah that's true, assuming equal Con a Wizard and a Barbarian would have the same Vitality, regardless of their hitpoint maximum
The Wizard would be under more threat from loss of hitpoints in one day than the Barbarian, but if the Barbarian stretched out his hitpoints (plus healing) every day for many consecutive days of being pounded, he would be under threat from his Vitality.

Maybe Level + Con is too much though, at level 10 a character with 16 Con would have 26 Vitality, an almost impossible number to burn through even over 4-5 days of consecutive hardcore fighting.
>>
>>53473382
Look dude i know you are baiting me but please stop it.

I don't want to listen to more Leftard commie larpers vs Anarcho Capitalist Neets.
At least keep the thread about a tabletop game free of this.

As for discussing ingame race that is entirely up to you.
You can make your fantasy races shody coppies of real life nations or actually be a bit creative.
>>
>>53473439
RAW, yes, you're absolutely right.

RAI, stop using fucking lore wizard.
RAI, you would project a 30ft AoE radius of divine word somewhere a mile away.
>>
>>53470512
Use matt's mercer homebrew
>>
>>53472877
The pdfs are player maps in the mega
>>
File: tieflings scag.png (261KB, 281x375px) Image search: [Google]
tieflings scag.png
261KB, 281x375px
So, this sidebar. If I play a feral tiefling, does the wording of this imply that he would not be descended from Asmodeus? Obviously it's easy to ignore, I'm just not sure if that's meant to be implied.
>>
>>53470512
Refluff a ranger (Scattergun), Fighter (Pistols), Rogue (Two-shot rifle) or Warlock (High impact faster-firing rifle)

Ranger does AoEs. Fighter does lots of attacks and has a limit break of 'even more fucking attacks'. Rogue does only 2 shots but lots of damage. Warlock pushes fuckers around.
>>
>>53473574
I never really looked long at this. I think I need to play a Devil's Tongue tiefling that descends from a succubus.
>>
>>53473574
This is implied to be for the conventional, 2e/3e tiefling lore, yes.
>>
>>53473574
You -could- be a feral tiefling of Asmodeus. It's not exclusive, but the guide there is just to help point out that not all tieflings need to have the same bloodline. A tiefling could be descended from any big nasty from the underworld. You could be the feral tiefling grandson of a rakshasa, for example.
>>
Can we just start ignoring the OP that starts the bait threads like this one?
>>
>>53473704
i think we did this time
>>
>>53473734
No I mean, just outright not using the thread. Otherwise you have people arguing about islam and conquistadors like in this thread.
>>
I got roped into gming a Roll20 game for friends, and I've never played at a table before, just online Is there a place I can go to see how more experienced people run games?

My main problem is description. Instead of
>Your journey down the road is uneventful, and you reach your destination in three hours...
I tend to go
>You're on the king's road. What do you wanna do?

It doesn't seem to bother the players, but it bothers me to no end
>>
>>53473898
The thing you tend to do is the right thing to do. You don't know that they want to journey all the way down the road for 3 hours unless they tell you.
>>
>>53473898
There's no obvious solution to this other than to keep playing, though players are people, too, and understand that generic roads will be generic.
If you want to cheat some description in, you can take time and make a table to generate descriptions and minor events for you.
>>
>>53473704
>Non-white people
>Bait
/pol/ pls go
>>
Anyone got an idea for a female half elf OoA Pally?
>>
>>53473954
You'll need to do better than this to bait me into an argument, autistic chair fella.
>>
>>53472158
>Someone kept my autistic mspaint drawing that I never ended up using

Thanks anon :)
>>
>>53473979
She's a half-Elf, so she's part Elf.

Elves are hermaphroditic, therefore she should be transgender or genderfluid.
>>
>>53473996
chairfag fuck off
>>
>>53473996
Elves can be hermaphroditic, and nearly all of mine are, but they don't have to be.
>>
>>53474018
Explain to me how hermaphroditic Elves are not canon.
>>
>>53473574
In some ways, I think it's kind of a pity that they didn't use this for more of a basis for the subraces for Tieflings.

Rather than plane of origin, it might make more sense to go for type of fiend (i.e. seducer, brute, hellfire, etc)
>>
>>53473925
What about describing non-combat events? Maybe a player is sneaking into an enemy castle
>"You can senator evil and criminal mastermind walking down the hall and casually chatting. They turn the corner, and go into a room"
>I want to follow them and see what they're up to
>Roll Dexterity (Stealth), DC is 13
>"Success"
>I creep down the hall and put my ear to the door, completely undetected
>"You can hear them discussing evil plans..."

>>53473935
That makes sense, thanks
>>
>>53474069
Just describe how they creep down the hall (comically tiptoeing, slinking along the wall, doing your best to stay entirely in shadows the whole way) and play out the dialogue they overhear.
>>
File: Remorhaz.png (1MB, 1822x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Remorhaz.png
1MB, 1822x1074px
>>53472158
>>
>>53469995
Nut-hand
>>
>>53473996
Nice bait i was more talking about what gods or whatever should i be aligned with like are Fey explictly evil?
>>
>tfw always play humans
Fucking hell. I don't know my character ideas always tend towards human imagery in my head.
>>
>>53473979
>>53474167
You don't need a god but if you want one a nature one may be appropriate. Fey are generally more good or neutralish, there's two courts of fey and I don't know the whole thing but compared to shadowfel it's not so evil.

Typically oath of the ancients is a neutral good alignment oath but obviously there's flexibility.
>>
>>53474185
Isnt paladin magic devine?
>>
As a conjurer, should my goal be to summon things that do a lot of damage, or things that can absorb a lot of damage for the party?
>>
>>53474219
Divine magic does not need a god in order for you to use it.
>>
>>53474055
They don't "have" to be hermaphroditic in the same way Changelings in PF don't "have" to identify as female, or how a Paladin doesn't "have" to worship a god.
>>
>>53474331
Don't reply to chairfag
>>
File: Weave.png (767KB, 453x818px) Image search: [Google]
Weave.png
767KB, 453x818px
>>53474219
As far as this sidebar describes, Divine Magic doesn't involve altering the flow of magic directly, but influenced by a mediator. In this case the Paladin's Oath.

As a Paladin you have sworn to devote your life to something -- in the case of the Oath of Ancients, nature itself -- with an oath so powerful, so wonderful, so terrible, that your prayers and meditations ripple in the weave of magic. Producing spells.
>>
>>53472089
>played SKT for 8 sessions before giving up.
We tried. We really did. Eventually the GM just dropped the book, and let us do whatever we wanted. The GM couldn't give us good reasons for doing half the shit we were supposed to do, and the book did fuck all to help him, and we couldn't justify in character why we would ever do 80% of the things the book wants us to do.

We managed to salvage it somewhat, but it really felt like we had been better off not using it at all.
>>
>>53474055
>>53473996
Wait, does this mean I shouldn't waifu the Elf unless I'm prepared for a sausage surprise?
>>
>>53470189
I'd be cool with this.
>>
File: Corellon Larethian.png (562KB, 557x893px) Image search: [Google]
Corellon Larethian.png
562KB, 557x893px
>>53474384
No, it's nonsense. Some Elves are hermaphrodites, because elves were made in the image of their god, who is alternately male, female, both, or neither.
>>
>>53470713
>fight against some kobolds
>kill them with no effort and no damage after 1 round of combat
>you use a gallon of fuel
>spend 1 hour pouring another gallon inside?
>rest of the party scratches their ass waiting
what I'm saying is that it definitely should not take an hour to pour oil inside of the thing. Maybe it could take an hour to repair any broken bits but an action (or double action) for refueling should be fine honestly.
>>
Having never played Druid, can someone explain to me what makes Moon Druid OP? Is it just the high hit point beasts is can become?
>>
>>53473704
>>53473954
>>53473983
Has anyone played 5e with any /pol/acks? How did it go?

Sounds like it'd be at least 1 full Henderson.
>>
>>53474433
So there's still a very, very good chance my Elven waifu has a far veiny cock?
>>
>>53474525
My entire country are essentially /pol/acks. It was like any other game of D&D except nobody was a faggot. Believe it or not, people with different opinions for yours are still capable of roleplaying.
>>
File: 1495459392240.png (733KB, 760x839px) Image search: [Google]
1495459392240.png
733KB, 760x839px
>>53474542
The chance is pretty high, since it seems to be your fetish.
>>
>>53474546
That's nonsense, Pollacks are inhuman monsters and everything between LA and New York is filthy flyover state.

Fuck Donald Drumpf and fuck white people.
>>
File: 1477363073714.png (768KB, 700x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1477363073714.png
768KB, 700x1088px
>>53474546
Implying I'm not one

Sounds wonderful ol' chap.
>>
>>53474514
High hp beasts and tiny sneaky spider creatures getting in and out of absolutely everywhere.
>>
>>53474562
It's not, though? I'm just worried my DM could say she's got he-bits and then show off how that's completely canon.
>>
>>53474514
If your DM gives you items to enhance your beastforms to do other things other beasts can do it can get even more insane.

Or if they give you a magical Druid artifact that increases the CR you can shift into.

Lots of potential if your DM is open to it.
>>
>>53474592
You wouldn't be this concerned if it wasn't. Stop playing around, anon.
>>
>>53474615
>Point out canon
>Get told to "forget about it"
>>
>>53474525
no, but I am the DM
>>
>>53474655
>So there's a chance my Elven waifu has a fat veiny cock?
>>
>>53474665
Elven waifus can have fat veiny cocks, it's not only canon it's expected.
>>
>>53473954
The guy is doing shit like pathfinder generals (Constantly the same theme i.e. kitsune girls rather than a diversity) and also reusing OP images they already used this same fucking week.
>>
>>53474658
You'd better make the political intrigue good lad.

Final villain has to be a shekel merchant warlock indebted to the Great Old One.

>"filthy goy you know not of the power of shekels, bow down and worship moloch"

He casts spells by greedily rubbing his hands and can convert gold into experience points as a racial trait.
>>
>>53474685
So? Black people are just as valid as OPs than anything else, in fact I'd argue they're needed because this white-guy game needs a bit of diversity.
>>
>>53474716
>Valid as OPs
I never said they weren't valid as OPs?
I was saying there's some troll making threads early with a lack of diversity for the sole intention of sparking off-topic debate, and your counterargument is literally
>needs a bit of diversity
When this is a problem about a lack of diversity, much again like how pathfinder OPs turn out to be endless supplies of kitsune girls.
>>
If my paladin is using a two handed weapon do I need to take warcaster to cast my spells or can I just take a hand off the weapon as a free action? What about if I were using a sword and shield?
>>
>>53474761
You have no issues casting with a two handed weapon.

With a shield, if you have the holy symbol on the shield, you only have issues if you cast a spell that does not use a material component but does use a somatic component. If it uses both, you use the shield as both the somatic component and the material component. If not, you need a free hand for the somatic component.
>>
>>53474761
>can I just take a hand off the weapon as a free action?
Yes
>What about if I were using a sword and shield?
You'd need Warcaster, unless your holy symbol appears on your shield or weapon (which it probably should), which would make it a spell focus.
>>
>>53474542
No they'd be your waifusbando then.
>>
>>53474787
>>53474806
Cool, thanks for the help gents
>>
It's a common discussion, but how would you buff sorcerer?

And, what kind of bloodlines would you like to see? I think Fey has been mentioned before.
>>
>>53474873
Not sure about buffing it entirely, but things I could see:

- Entirely spell point based, as with the DMG optional rules.
- Expanded spell list, some spells from bard, cleric, druid, etc. Maybe based on bloodline as well.
- More metamagic options, such as the loremaster's stuff.
>>
Rules question: if you shove prone someone you grappled are they still grappled? Do you have to go prone too?
>>
>>53474976
This guy has the right idea.

I think the bloodline you choose should expand your spelllist as a given. Makes no sense that a red dragon sorcerer can't pick all the fire spells that a wizard could have, for example, and if you have Wild Magic it could make sense for you to naturally have access to other spells (some druid, some cleric perhaps) in general.
>>
>>53475035
It also ties the Favoured Soul in further, because they already get cleric spells.
>>
>>53474873
For all the bitching I've done about them being Sorcerous Origins and not being limited to bloodlines, I would actually like to see a few more bloodline origins at this point.

Fomorian or Giant bloodline could be neat.
>>
Over two days? The sell by dates are more of suggestions, really.

>>53438778
Circle of Death certain affects the caster if they're within the 60' radius. It has 150' range. In a sea hag's cave/lair, it may not be possible to avoid hitting every creature in the room.
>>53439594
>So; does DW still suck with those three feats disallowed?
For fighters? Yes. At level 11 when they have 3 attacks, Dueling averages more damage than TWF anyway. GWF tops its damage at level 5. Because of Action Surge, just using a greatsword with no fighting style probably tops TWF with the style at level 5, honestly.

It might be okay for Rangers, but it's still awkward. It works better for classes that don't have TWF Fighting Style at all, like Paladin's Improved Divine Smite and Barbarian's Rage damage bonus.

It's two separate problems: TWF is a bad fighting style. Dual Wielder is a bad feat. I advocate fixing the fighting style by making one that puts more bonus damage on the primary action, sorta like 4E's TWF being bonus damage instead of bonus attacks. That way it can be scaled like other fighting styles. Simple shit like >>53439789 this isn't even that bad. I've also seen a "rend" suggestion that gives a lot of bonus damage to the off-hand attack.
>>
Currently a lvl 4 War Cleric that turned from Jesus Christ to Lord Lucifer after a trip to the Shadow Realm. DM is allowing me to change my level 2-4 to reflect the conversion. Is a Fiend Warlock the best way to go or should I search around other classes? My party tends to long rest after each encounter (I know you can only long rest once per 24 hours, but our DM usually makes another encounter after a few days of travel cause fighting takes a while)
>>
>>53474514
The CR of your forms scales oddly versus your level. At level 2 you can become a Brown Bear twice per short rest, and a Brown Bear is a more capable martial fighter than all but the most insanely min/maxed martial classes can be at level 2. Problem is, you're stuck with Brown Bear through to level 5, at which point it's just started to fall behind most pure martial classes. At level 6 you can jump up to a Polar/Cave bear which puts you back on par with your martial friends. Now every 3 levels you get to upgrade to something bigger and badder, but you also run into the issue of slim pickings - at level 9 you can become CR 3 beasts, but there are only 3 of them in the MM (and one is a fucking whale). By this point (and beyond) your best picks are also going to be limited to goddamn Dinosaurs, which, depending on your group and campaign, is either totally rad, or a huge ass brick through the window of immersion. At level 10 you get the ability to change into an Elemental, which is pretty cool, but it's also basically the end of the road for upgrades. Beyond this you get Elephant or (if using Volo's) Stegosaurus at level 12. At 15 you'll either be stuck with Giant Crocodile or more dinosaurs. And at level 18 you get your ultimate form.... which is a Mammoth. Whee. By the way, sometime during your mid teens the Land Druid in your party has completely blown past you and is now calling down the wrath of nature on a whim, having more spell slots and many more spells prepared than you do.
>>
>>53475142
Literally still be a War Cleric. The Evening Star himself did lead the rebellion in heaven, and with swords of iron and wings of fire did he fight.
>>
>>53470234
Goblin punch one is pretty amazing

I have given my players recently a magic book, just haven't quite decided what it does yet.
>>
>>53475133
>For all the bitching I've done about them being Sorcerous Origins and not being limited to bloodlines
Me too, me too. I like to go further and imagine all the origins as something the sorcerer consciously aspires to, instead of just magical accidents (of birth or otherwise).

>Save all my allowance since I was 5.
>Pile of copper coins under my bed.
>Finally seeing some scales grow in.
>The power of dragons will be mine.
>>
>>53474433
Keep in mind that elven hermaphrodites that aren't deities is still a 5e thing
>>
>>53475188
Isn't he the glorious Morning Star tho
I liked that last line, will look into War Cleric and thematic options just cause of that. I was being retarded and didn't realize I could just stick with cleric.
>>
>>53475237
People were joking about "Gender: Elf" since before 4E was a thing though. Somewhere along the way, we went from MElf to this.
>>
>>53475202
>I have given my players recently a magic book, just haven't quite decided what it does yet.
The Mis-spell book.
Cast such spells as:
Fore Dolt
Alter Elf
Arcane Sock
Fisty Step
Phantasmal Miller
Snilloc's Snowballs Warm
>>
>>53475283
>Arcane Sock
>Fisty Step
Muscle Wizard has learned some new spells, I see.
>>
>>53475133
I agree.
We need more bloodlines.

Blood Sorcerrer - Genetic inheritance of Wizards who studied the powers of bloodlines.

Radiant Sorcerrer - Bloodline that developed an innate tie to positive energy.

x-Giant bloodline - Gotta get huge.

Ki bloodline - Talented Monks throguh eugenics develop a bloodline that has innate control of Ki.
>>
>>53475239
He is the Morning and Evening Star, for they are one and the same.

Both were terms used by the ancient greeks for what is now known to be the planet Venus. Thematically, they are both the appropriate name for our fallen seraph, respective to before and after his fall from grace.
>>
>>53472158
when will giantlets learn?
>>
>>53471184
Vengeance Paladin with a splash of Undying Warlock
>>
For a first time DM: Homebrew campaign or premade campaign?

I really want to try a premade one because I don't think I'm clever enough to come up with dozens of fun encounters yet, but everywhere I read people say to start with a short homebrew campaign as a new DM - without ever explaining why.
>>
>>53475476
Those people are idiots. Pick an official campaign - I advise you Curse of Strahd.
>>
File: masterpeace.jpg (444KB, 634x951px) Image search: [Google]
masterpeace.jpg
444KB, 634x951px
So, after holding onto a scroll of teleport my dm had given my character for months, I finally decided it was time to use it. Story time ahead.

>Diviner with Lucky feat
>6 dex and 7 con
>already died once and was brought back to life, arguably against my and my character's will
>old grandpa naturalist and retired librarian and all around pacifist from the start
>after a cave in and a dungeon crawl through some abandoned settlement and forge come across a dragon's hoard
>no escape route in sight, way back is a dead end because cave-in
>dragon offers help in exchange of unloading all of our hoard, magical or otherwise
>my lovely hoboes pick up their arms while i try to parlay
>think "yet another unavoidable boss fight vastly overleveled to match our group of murder machines"
>shadow dragon fuck thing, starts summoning shadows demons
>think "fuck it, fuck this, fuck everything"
>DM goes "Roll initiative!"
>"Portent! the dragon rolls a 6!"
>shadows go first and target me
>11AC with mage armor
>one shield!misses, another lucky+shield!misses
>rogue 2 goes first of all of us, kills one of the shadows next to me
>start reading what teleport actually does and how to use scrolls
>holy fuck it's only allies 10ft of you, can't possibly take the entire team as they were all scattered
>move into a better position, shadow 2 tries to OA me
>know pretty much any damage is enough to take me down, so go "Portent, the shadow rolls a 5 and misses me!
>in position, can take everyone except the fighter and rogue 2
>"I pull out of the bag of holding a scroll and use it, Teleport!"
>have to roll a 17 but have +5 on the scroll roll, roll a 13
>"I teleport everyone 10ft away from me, the fighter and rogue 2 are left behind to X location!"
>DM is stunned, he remembered the scroll but didn't really think i would actually use it, much less in this fight

(CONT.)

pic related, my character holding rogue 2
>>
>>53475345
>Druidic Bloodline
>>
>>53475476
If you don't feel confident enough in your creative talents or in your ability to run a game, stick with a premade. That's literally what they're for.
>>
If I create a game just to goof around with the roll20 editor, will it show up in game listings if I put no tags on it?
>>
>>53475369
Ahh, I gets I gets
Follow-up, would you know of any spells from the normal books or any spells/feats from a third party that helps with the theme of War Cleric of our Lord Lucifer?
>>
>>53475550
Probably fey in nature.
>>
>>53475476
Start with a premade like Mines of Phandelver.

Just remember: you never -have- to stick with the book. If your players or you decide to go off the written path, don't sweat it.
>>
>>53475575
When you make it you can have it unlisted for public access, pretty sure. If not then you can go into the game's settings afterword and do so.
>>
Got a question here, trying to figure out how to give the god a personality.

Trying to have Io (Or Asgorath, I prefer that more.) play a part in a campaign I'm running but since he's "neutral" and considers all alignments how the Hell do I do anything with him? The only other thing he's got is that he's protective of dragonkind but will also put them down if some are being retarded. Anyone got ideas?
>>
>>53474480
Thanks for the input, never did get to actually playtest it... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't super broken shooting fire 24x7 with no drawbacks
>>
>>53474525
I'm borderline. I like browsing /pol/. I don't buy into the superiority of the white race, but believe that Hillary would have been worse than Trump.

Campaign is going okay.
>>
>>53475718
Just give him God's personality. New and Old Testament. Being a bitch towards dragons? Old Testament God. Being nice to dragons? New Testament God. Otherwise, he doesn't much care for the shit you get up to.
>>
>>53475583
From the PHB:
>Spells
1st level: Bane, Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds
2nd level: Spiritual Weapon, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd level: Tongues, Spirit Guardians, Crusader's Mantle, Bestow Curse
>Feats
War Caster, Lucky

From Unearthed Arcana:
>Spells
Cantrip: Toll the Dead, Hand of Radiance
1st level: Ceremony

>Feats
Theologian, Silver-Tongued.
>>
>>53474375
Thats ppretty cool i was thinking aboutmy character essentially being raised by the fey on the side like a neighbor or something. iS that snowflaky at all?
>>
>>53475546
(CONT.)

>after going through his notes and stating that this dragon has magic for no real good reason says:
>"The dragon tries to counter you scroll, he doesn't want to let you go, sensing all the magic items you are carrying and really pissed for finding his lair and trying to steal from it"
>i go "I want to counterspell his counterspell!"
>we both roll a contest, dragon rolls a 17 while I roll a 14
>Lucky! I reroll for an 18!
>"You and everyone in range are teleported away."
>everyone explodes in amusement and confusion
>everyone left behind is confused and pissed, thinking i just left them to die
>one of the others, whose character has a major dragon boner asks to stay behind, being the first time he encounters a dragon
>"it's actually willing creatures, so you can all stay if you want" I say
>"fuck it, says all the others, we are also out"
>dragon fight goes from 7 PCs to 2PCs plus deus ex machina'd mia PC and some NPCs
>after some lucky/unlucky rolls they actually manage to kill the thing and reap the spoils, mountains of loot and stuff ensue
>people backing my character, people arguing that we could obviously took care of the dragon, DM's balance and loot to be delivered to X and Y character that are now separated, etc.
>night devolves into a deep philosophical discussion on in-character/OOC/meta actions and stuff
>we all agree to sort everything out next day and mostly laugh about how ridiculous the whole thing went

in the end the dm was having fun, the ones that stayed behind were hype as fuck, especially the guy that always spectates or just falls asleep and the ones that got away with me were a bit sad about the loss of xp and loot but agreed that at the moment they wouldn't have done anything else.

moral of the story I guess would be to never trust wizards and give your players options so they don't have to make them up themselves and fuck over your planned story.
>>
>>53475839
>Theologian
This is a terrible advice.
>>
So, my party wants to get involved in pit fights and make wagers and the like.

I'm down for it, and I've made mechanics for the fight itself to spice it up from being boring one-on-one combat while everyone else watches, but I'm having some trouble with the wagering system.

I have a basic grip on reading odds and payouts, but I have no idea how to go about assigning odds for one-v-one fights. I thought of reading a boxing site for it and borrowing theirs, but even that's a pretty tricky way of writing it down, and I need it simple so I can do it on the fly.

Likewise, in an ideal world I'd like spectators to be able to make new wagers mid-match with the crowd.

Is there a quick and easy way of generating essentially 1v1 odds on the fly?
>>
>Divine favour
>1d4 to damage for you
>Bless
>1d4 to attacks and saves for 3 people, can scale with spell slot
Is damage supposed to be better than attack+saving throws? Would divine favour be broken if it targeted 3 and be scaled to target more?
>>
>>53475824
That's a gross oversimplification of God in the New Testament, He is a God of grace and mercy but He does not allow bullshit to exist, or did you think Jesus whipped the money lenders out of the Temple with straps of kindness and words of mirth?

A murderer should be forgiven, but that does not erase the punishment.
>>
>>53475839
Thanks very kindly!
Chosen spells seems spot on, will definitely be shouting "Sinner!" every time I case Toll the Dead. Will look into the unearthed feats.
>>
>>53475916
I would rather have bonuses to hit over bonuses to damage

Sure an extra 3 damage is great, but it won't help if you have trouble actually hitting the enemy.
>>
>>53475527
>>53475553
>>53475644

Thanks for the advice
>>
>>53472262
I was hoping someone would post this
>>
>>53475884
Biggest person in the pit has the smallest odds. The more people who bet on him, the lower the odds go and therefore, the higher the odds go for the other contestant.

Actual betting odds have shit loads of maths that go into them to make sure the house always wins, but an underground fight club won't have that stuff so it'll likely just be done by gut feeling.
>>
>>53475921
I'm a Catholic. I don't need a lecture on God, especially on /tg/. Take that stick out of your fucking jacksie and realise the conversation that was taking place. We're discussing a giant dragon god in D&D, it wasn't a fucking exegesis of the Bible.
>>
>>53475979
>I'm a Catholic
Do you really drink blood of honest christians?
>>
>>53475979
It looked more like he was trying to help man, all that he said could still be applied to the dragon god. Take that stick out of YOUR jacksie
>>
>>53476015
What?
>>
>>53475958
I mean I know who gets good odds and who gets bad - my trouble is more that I know our old DM used to just do things like 2:1 and 5:1, which means if you bet on both with equal value then you end up with a net win either way, and I want to avoid that.
>>
>>53475794
You're more or less where I'm at. Agreed.

I browse /pol/ but disagree with the racism for the most part.

Although they are absolutely right about (((them))).
>>
>>53476026
If he was just trying to help, he would've objected to me saying that God in the OT was just there to smite people that called the Jews faggots. But he didn't. There's a reason he didn't. You fucking spastic. Notice how I didn't actually specify any actions that NT God might take. Notice how I didn't once say that NT God doesn't punish those who deserve it. Notice I didn't come close to mentioning a lack of grace and mercy and yet he managed to somehow infer all of that from my post? He was just throwing out a bible lecture for the sake of a bible lecture. It had nothing to do with your post. Nothing to do with the dragon god. It was just "fuck you you're wrong about God and here's why" despite me making no specific assertions about God.
>>
>>53475925
The normie in me wishes he could do "Shame, shame, shame"
>>
>>53476053
Easy fix. You're only allowed to bet on one contestant per fight.
>>
>>53474060
Depends on the fucking setting, mate.
>>
>>53475283
>Fore Dolt
Whoever is in front of the caster becomes retarded and awkward for a bit of time
>Alter Elf
Change sex and subrace of any single elf
>Phantasmal Miller
Feeds you flour made from a good kind of weed
>Snilloc's Snowballs Warm
Summons wet and slippery snowballs
>>
>>53469995
>Has a wound on the lower right side of his chin, his beard doesn't grow on that side anymore, his name, Romulus Halfbeard.
>>
>>53476103
>long post
Alright man, christ (see what I did there)
I'm not going to defend some random guy, but stop spazzing out over such little shit
>>
>>53476154
>long post
It's 3 lines. Are you literally 2 years old?
>>
>>53476132
Make it "Altar Elf" and you change your appearance to that of an Elf Priest.
>>
>>53475138
So if twf and dual-wielder aren't very good, how does one play a melee ranger well? (Assuming your using revised ranger of course) I like the idea of dual-wielding but I don't wanna be garbage
>>
>>53476173
blah blah not listening
relax you retard
>>
File: 1495901831921.jpg (113KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495901831921.jpg
113KB, 1920x1080px
why are girls so bad at this gaaaaame
>>
>>53475283
Oh shit, we had a whole thread about this once. It was amazing
>>
>>53476212
>blah blah not listening
That's a "yes" on the being 2 years old thing then, I see.
>>
>>53475879
>>53475546
Even if it works out that sounds like shit babyfeeding DMing, holy shit. Not super shit at all, but mildly bad.

>Either fight or there's literally no escape ha ha get fighting
>Shadows target you after using an ability they shouldn't have been able to sense?
>OMG how dare you use magic on my boss, he COUNTERS your magic!
>2 PCs kill the boss alone when it's a boss fight for 7 PCs
>Also the whole 'summons shadows to fight for you' is the lamest way of dealing with the 'oh, a single NPC is actually quite weak' ordeal instead of kobold minions because summoning shadows is just a cheap way of saying 'Hi, I'm an edgy loner fuck who doesn't need minions because I'm an edgy loner fuck'
>7 goddamn players
>>
>>53476210
Best Melee ranger is a sword and board Beast Conclave STRanger

>>53476213
Have you considered playing with people who actually want to play?
>>
>>53476249
New thread!
>>
>>53475283
>Alters Elf
Nothing apparently happens to you as you keep thinking you are ineptly casting Alter Self
In fact the spell is being cast exactly as intended only on the now profoundly confused nearest elf in the same plane of existance
>>
>>53476261
Cut that shit out, we're still on page 6.
>>
>>53476261
Ignore this troll

Someone make a proper thread once we hit page 8
>>
What's the best way to go monk? Variant with Mobile?
>>
>>53476232
entire party is eight players, but we are almost never all so it's usually ~6 or something else manageable.

in the end the fight was 4 PCs versus the dragon, 2 that were out of range of the spell, 1 that decided to stay and me playing the character of the 8th player that wasn't that day.

but it's ok, i also think it's babbyfeeding, hence why i didn't want to fight the thing.
>>
>>53476407
I mean, yeah. If people are having fun I guess it works.

Some people are fine with babyfeeding.

After spending too long on /5eg/ shitposting you get to the point where you play incredibly vulnerable wizards that challenge the DM's 'Nobody has to die!' shit or 'Something comes out of nowhere and hurts everyone - oh no wait what do you mean that kills the squishy wizard? Why are you so squishy you can't survive my random bullshit?' and has fun with all the options wizards have instead of just putting out numbers.
>>
>>53476444
Really, wizards aren't the best blasting class. They excel at battlefield control and support.

Their versatility is better than the damage they can put out
>>
File: gish gish gish.pdf (73KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gish gish gish.pdf
73KB, 1x1px
>dm just approved this for use in his game
should I be concerned?
>>
>>53476498
Looks slightly busted, but I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>53476498
Seems a little underpowered, nothing immediately obviously abusable aside from teleporting literally across continents by viewing an enemy the other side of the world .. And maybe some other things because I only read half of it. And also being odd in design about bags of rats etc etc.

But more importantly it's fucking edgy.

Be concerned about the player, not about their character being OP.
>>
>>53476477
The point of wizards is to have a spell that covers any situation possible.
>>
>>53476355
>I'm gonna make another thread because black people scare me
Back to pol.
>>
>>53476232
>>53476444

i'm a huge salt mine about blatant railroading and lack of player agency, i was actually upset that the fight ended up being so easy, (not that i actually wanted the other PCs to die, i rationalized it that my character, not being high enough level to know the spell before hand thought he could pull everyone out) but the dm swears he wasn't pulling punches so the whole thing would've been massively disappointing if we had all stayed and destroyed the dragon in a round of less.

most rolls were made without the screen but really, after it did the breath attack, there was no way that fight could've been truly deadly, the dragon pretty much had to recharge on his second turn and breath again to have a chance at winning.

also mildly salty because the dm said he had everything written and there was a bunch of loot and plot hooks and shit after the fight but evidently that's something he knows, and given how there were no other options, he was expecting to go ahead flawlessly. so after the whole thing was done and the fight was over, the ones that left with me were somewhat disappointed, obviously making me feel really fucking bad. but how in the fuck were we supposed to know, and i guess that's the whole point, we weren't.

i'd rather not know what i missed and we all should've left without knowing the rest of the party's fate, mourn them after noticing they were left behind and live with the guilt and shit, maybe reencounter them later for a good surprise, apologies or outright hostilities. maybe i'm expecting too much...
>>
>>53476119
Fair point. Cheers.
>>
>>53476243
>Sword and board beast STRanger
Why is that, do they make the best use of their attacks? Should I take any feats?
>>
>>53476591
I find it amusing that the OP of the made-too-thread have crusades for blacks, yet use images of black people in ooga booga clothing. Next time use a black scholar - it gives pol less ammo and gives you more agency.
>>
>>53476498
Looks fine, curious as to why souls aren't CR based though.
>>
>>53476477
>>53476572
this too, i've been picking all the utility spells and a bunch of rituals and stuff like that, to help everyone throughout the adventure, as everyone else is a mountain of damage and no utility whatsoever, but in the end a bunch of stuff (like rests, heals, madness, rations, etc.) gets handwaved so my character is a bag of useless features.

i did take control spells to not be completely useless in combat, and eventually some damaging ones, but fuck, i do so little damage compared to the rest of the party it's just not worth it at all.

if i had known this thing would be a beat-them-up/hack-and-slash delve, i'd have just played another class.
>>
>>53476670
That must hurt, anon.
>>
>>53476726
it's ok, i'm used to it :'>
>>
>>53476615
Shield Master.
>>
>>53475777
I'd just say scale the fire damage, since 24- 3d10 fire damage is high(?) at level 6 when it's accessory to whatever the artificer is doing on his own turn.
>>
Page 8
Someone make a proper thread so we can link the misguided anons who got lost on the other therad to it
>>
A proper new thread has been created:
>>53476997
>>
>>53477019
this one is also shit, i'm disappoint in you as well.
>>
>>53477100
That's okay, it got pruned.
>>
>>53477100
Not >>53477019, but it's not fitting to talk about disappointments when you can't use basic grammar or spelling at all.
>>
>>53474433
It's kinda interesting how they tried to play down Corelleon's hermaphroditism in 2e. "Oh, sure he's androgynous and can appear in female form, he's aaactually male."
>>
>>53477337
>>53477337

i'm thinking of making the paladins an oath of ancients one
>>
>>53477412
>>53477337
Really old gnome wizard, has some supposedly uncurable disease likely caused by old age and doesn't want to spend their final year or two withering away in their home and become forgotten, so sets out for one last chance to see the world and maybe, just maybe find some way to prolong his life a short while longer. Or get fit in the process. Perhaps see if any of his old friends are alive.
>>
Didnt realise I posted in that faggots thread, here's my problem

I am the DM of a 5man group for about a year now, everyone is level 7.
We play only like once a month because everyone is busy (or so I believe, they're friends of a friend, I don't know anybody outside of the group)
I DM my own campaign, try to have a mix of RP and PvE to make everyone happy, with a lot more fights than conversations. Now I also give out xp for roleplaying, clever strategies or setting up traps for the player who came up with it. Killing enemies grants everyone the same amount. They all know this, because I encourage more than braindead damage dice rolling. If everyone is involved and I don't get the feeling I am being boring, anyone playing with their phone and then asking me what happened loses xp, idgaf hate me for it.

Unfortunately the two who get the least xp for the day (not always the same people, literally always changing) make a scene, demanding I explain how I came up with the amount of xp and that it's bullshit. I simply refuse and tell them I write down every time someone gains xp and tell them the total at the end.

I am honestly losing motivation to prepare for our campaign, but I don't know whether I am to blame or not. Should I grant everyone the same xp and make it a team effort, essentially rewarding lazy players? Should I drop the xp altogether and have them reach milestones for levelups?
I cannot talk to whoever is making a fuss, as that would include every single player except one chill guy.
>>
>>53477464
And the idea is that it's probably low con score and a not awfully great dex score. Fine with dying because he was going to die soon enough anyway.
>>
>>53476795
Ahh that makes sense lol.
>>
>>53470572
Traivs /Grog on Critical Role used a weapon thats pretty similar (craven edge) and he played it so well, idk man depends on the player to whom its given
>>
File: Craven Edge.jpg (138KB, 320x780px) Image search: [Google]
Craven Edge.jpg
138KB, 320x780px
>>53470561
Try something like this
>>
>>53477472
People want to know where their XP comes from. That's reasonable.

Don't award XP mid session.

If you want non-combat xp, award it like you're playing Shadowrun, for objectives and such, and if you want to give bonus XP, have the players nominate eachother at the end of a session and then you judge what's worth bonus XP.

I'd come up with firm guidelines though.
>>
What about awarding the adjusted xp from encounter multipliers? Since they are deadlier. [spolier]and for more xp[/spoiler]
>>
>>53478594
>Devouring soul
>No resurrection allowed

Someone wasn't fucking around.
>>
>>53479237
No.
Don't be stupid.
>>
>>53479286
That's a legendary weapon from Critical Role. Matt Mercer's legendary items are neat sometimes.
Thread posts: 393
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.