[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 44

File: Ranger.jpg (276KB, 1117x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Ranger.jpg
276KB, 1117x1012px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - back in black edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53469947

Unearthed arcana is coming pretty soon. Thoughts?
>>
>>53476249
>Thoughts?
They'll fuck it up somehow as usual, which will lead to fewer people playing it, which will lead to little feedback, which will lead to it not ever appearing in print because there "was no demand for it"
>>
My group is turning into a complete trainwreck. Everybody is at odds with each other both in character and out of game. Nobody wants to co operate, people get legitimately angry irl every session, nobody is having fun. What a disaster.
>>
>>53476702
America, is that you?
>>
>>53476702
Tell me about it, I've had a game like this too. It ended with a party PvP that directly led to a total party kill. The group has split over it, and we didn't live it down and continue gaming together until an entire year later.
>>
>>53476702
talk to them, suspend the campaign if needed. this shit is a huge investment for everyone, and no one really want's to have their time and energy wasted over an un-fun game.
>>
I am the DM of a 5man group for about a year now, everyone is level 7.
We play only like once a month because everyone is busy (or so I believe, they're friends of a friend, I don't know anybody outside of the group)
I DM my own campaign, try to have a mix of RP and PvE to make everyone happy, with a lot more fights than conversations. Now I also give out xp for roleplaying, clever strategies or setting up traps for the player who came up with it. Killing enemies grants everyone the same amount. They all know this, because I encourage more than braindead damage dice rolling. If everyone is involved and I don't get the feeling I am being boring, anyone playing with their phone and then asking me what happened loses xp, idgaf hate me for it.

Unfortunately the two who get the least xp for the day (not always the same people, literally always changing) make a scene, demanding I explain how I came up with the amount of xp and that it's bullshit. I simply refuse and tell them I write down every time someone gains xp and tell them the total at the end.

I am honestly losing motivation to prepare for our campaign, but I don't know whether I am to blame or not. Should I grant everyone the same xp and make it a team effort, essentially rewarding lazy players? Should I drop the xp altogether and have them reach milestones for levelups?
I cannot talk to whoever is making a fuss, as that would include every single player except one chill guy.
>>
File: Variant Vitality Rules.png (317KB, 424x648px) Image search: [Google]
Variant Vitality Rules.png
317KB, 424x648px
Opinions on this? Is the wording confusing?
>>
>>53476249
Why is nature being retarded again? Putting a white wolf in the dry grassland.
>>
>>53476249
Are we still not linking the discord in the thread because of people like Lyn, Cammy c0re?
>>
File: pepe funeral.jpg (178KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
pepe funeral.jpg
178KB, 1200x800px
what are some character concepts you've always wanted to use but never got around to it

for me ive got a super sentai cg paladin

and a cn triton refluffed to be a battletoad. he'd probably be a barbarian centered around using tavern brawler
>>
Anon who doesn't like SKT, tell us more why you don't like that adventure.
>>
>>53477014
All those extra hit dice are going to make characters tanky AF, plus letting them run around for at least 2 rounds with little penalty...

I like the intent, I'm just not sure how it would play is all
>>
I'm just making this post to confess how much I hate the autist(s) in my party.
>>
>>53477298
You could always say fuck it and link the Discord anyway: https://discord.me/5eg

>>53477014
Just like the UA vitality rules, it's too much bookkeeping compared to the normal rules and ultimately doesn't solve the problem.
>>
>>53477394
What do you think of the other solutions then, like the angry DM's 'fighting spirit' proposal or not going unconscious at 0 but taking damage as max HP loss instead?
>>
My party is going to be facing a 17th level sorcerer (they're 13th) that I've been building up for a while, and honestly, I just feel bad.

If I pick the most effective spells, then he's just going to instagib the party. All that needs to happen is for them to walk through the front door like idiots (which they will, because they are), he casts meteor swarm on them, boom, dead.

On the other hand, if I give him spells they can survive, he's going to get splattered on the pavement in 2 turns or less because action economy.

How can I make this a climactic encounter while not outright annihliating them? I've been building this motherfucker up for the better part of 2 years.
>>
>>53477486
Don't pick the most effective spells. Pick the spells that most suit his character.
>>
>>53477486
Lower his level, give him some mooks to soak action economy and damage, possibly have him summon monsters for it
>>
>>53477355
I've been running it since December with on average two sessions a month. I think i majorly fucked up by encouraging the party to play a group of criminal monster pcs. They are all members of the zhentarim and were sent to goldenfields disguised as members of the emerald enclave to try and find a way to bend goldenfields to the zhentarim. Then giant attacks ensued.

Thus far they've planted a zhent ally in goldenfields who is slowly making the abbot there seem like he is getting too old to run shit and needs to be replaced. In addition theyve had encounters in waterdeep with the xanathar thieves guild who sold them to fire giants as slaves. They broke out and found harshnag who took them to the eye of the all father where they did the barbarian mound quests to receive intel on one of the giant Lord holds (the frost giant one)

Now however they have an airship and after a random encounter with a young green dragon now have a Dragon corpse they are trying to sell to a wizard or someone in waterdeep.

My problem is they dont seem particularly interested in the giant plot at all and are mostly just trying to get money and do thug shit(not really thug shit but typical evil group shenanigans.) When the party ranger multiclassed into a cleric I used that as an opportunity to generate some investment by having her be a chosen one of the storm giant God who is trying to reorient the opening. Now she has been invested but she cant convince the rest of the party to address the giant threat.

Any tips on how I can reorient the group? Or would it be best to just keep things going and let them have fun doing their own thing? I have been foreshadowing that Duke Zalto is dangerously close to completing the vonindood, and sparking a war with the Dragons.
>>
>>53477410
Reducing max HP as a rule is a pain in the ass. Here's a possible solution, building off the death save rules:

When you are healed from 0 hit point, you do not immediately regain consciousness, but instead enter a state of waning consciousness. At the start of each of your turns, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you regain consciousness and can act on your turn as normal. Otherwise, you fall unconscious again. When you make three total successful rolls, you are fully conscious and no longer need to repeat this save.
>>
>>53477486
>Level 17 versus a party of level 13
>Thinking the level 17 will win

Are your players really that absolutely fucking bad? Really?
>>
>>53477486
Just give him minions, and spells the party can survive. That way he doesn't get fucked by the action economy.
>>
>>53477486
Mooks and minions, to further balance out the action economy. Then lower his level a bit.
>>
>>53477486
17th-level sorcerer =/= CR 17

The PCs will easily win. Nothing wrong with him casting meteor swarm to level the playing field first.
>>
>>53477486
elementals, golems, fey, abberations, etc
Have his spells make things harder for the party instead of outright killing them: Reverse Gravity, Investiture of X, Wall of Stone, Telekinesis, etc
>>
>>53477527
>subtracting a number on your character sheet is a pain in the ass
>instead, roll a billion dice every time someone gets healed

???
>>
>>53477486
Maybe he summons a fiend or has his right hand fighting for him and gets away, because he still has to finish his big evil plan somewhere else/needs more time to do that

Alternatively you may lower his CR and paint it like his plan(summoning or whatever) was just finished and the party's job is now to prevent the worst from happening
>>
File: r__yleh_by_marcsimonetti.jpg (493KB, 1600x1189px) Image search: [Google]
r__yleh_by_marcsimonetti.jpg
493KB, 1600x1189px
>>53477486
Give the room he's in interesting terrain features to keep the PCs from getting to him too fast without much of a struggle. Make him use that terrain to his advantage. Pits, collumns, walls, etc. They're facing this sorcerer on HIS turf, so he should make them regret that even if you don't want him to fry them immediately.

Also, don't let him face them alone, as others have said. Add minions.
>>
>>53477577
It's a single die that a person rolls at the start of each of their turns and would have to if they were dying anyway, but if misrepresenting my post makes you feel better about yourself, by all means be my guest.
>>
>>53477527
>as a rule is a pain in the ass

What in particular about it? It seems pretty simple to me. You simply just need three values:
[Current HP / Max HP] [True Max HP]
At a fully rested state all three above values are identical.

I mean, in other possible solutions like in your example it still heavily encourages people to spam 1 HP heals on people who go down and people don't really get to do anything but beg the healer for heals when they hit 0.

The idea with reducing max HP is you REALLY do not want to lose max HP. You could keep on fighting once you hit 0 if you plan to go out in a heroic death, but you'd start doing things like dodging and holding back rather than practically begging all the monsters to finish you off for good.

Some of my past ideas I can admit were more of a pain in the ass where you had to calculate your secondary HP in different ways and I was fumbling over trying to find a penalty for fighting on 0 HP, but I think 'having a lower max HP and being nearer to dying' is enough of a penalty.
>>
>>53477612
I exaggerated. The fact is that what you proposed is more of a pain in the ass than simple subtraction that you do once per instance. It would clog combat even more than combat already is clogged up with dice rolls.
>>
>>53477577
This, there's even space for it on the official character sheets.

Cross out "50" and write "45" next to it, done.
>>
Knocking fools on their asses and stomping on them as a giant elk is fun. What's your favorite wild shape besides bear, /5eg/?
>>
>>53477503
His character is that he's a megalomaniac who wants to resurrect an ancient demilich. Also, he killed another character with a fire ball earlier, so I guess he likes fire.

>>53477505
>give him mooks
See, I've tried that before, but there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing. The players (correctly) identify the big bad as the key weak point, and focus their attacks on him, essentially soaking minor enemies until he goes down. There's no good way to absorb blows or redirect damage or even force aggro in this system, so that never fucking helps.

>>53477531
Going all out? Let's see...
>party bursts in through tower
>ready action:meteor swarm
>40d6+5 damage
>party's average hp is 130
>average damage from meteor swarm is 140
>pick off any survivor's with twinned disintegrates
Yeah, sounds like a TPK to me
>>
>>53477668
Constrictor snake is fun as shit
>>
>>53477688
Set up the terrain so they have to get through the mooks first.
>>
>>53476249
If this UA is bad then we went to a monthly schedule for nothing and I'll lose hope for Wizard's support.
>>
>>53476702
Why?

Can not they make a cohesive group? Do they argue about how to solve a problem? Do they want to do very different things? What causes the issues?

If it's because they all make random characters that don't work together then restart the campaign with a strict background rule - everyone is a guard in an arena dungeon, or they are all siblings. Something where IC they have strong loyalties and more homogenous personalities.
>>
>>53477688
>making an npc with pc classes
>not making an npc with legendary actions and customized spell lists to fit character
absolutely haram
>>
>>53477688
Don't forget that Meteor Swarm has a save for half damage, and then that spell slot's gone.

Meanwhile a CR 1 bugbear can fell most level 1 PCs with an average hit (11 damage).

Calculate the CR using the DMG rules, it might surprise you.
>>
>>53477688
>Ready action
That's not a smart move. If the party doesn't burst through the door right the second you expect it then you lose the spell completely. Also, readying actions usually doesn't work that way anyway - you ready actions in combat, otherwise the party can say 'we all ready actions before we charge in through the front door'. At which point, everybody has a readied action and you might as well have combat as normal?

Also, if even one of them succeeds their save, they won't go down.
Also, if any of them has resistance to bludgeoning OR fire damage, they won't go down.
Also if the damage is rolled poorly they won't go down.
When not all of the players are down, the healer can just go 'whoops, I heal the entire party back to 1 HP, everybody's standing again.'

Also a wizard or anybody with counterspell can just fucking counterspell it. No, counterspell every single one of their spells.

Chances are somebody in the party will win on initiative, run up to the sorcerer, chain stun him / kill him in one turn / gag his mouth and shove him to to the floor / throw him out a window / anything really.

However, this is all moot if your players are dumb at which point it becomes a retarded game of rocket tag.
>>
>>53477688
>there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing
Haha you uninventive fuckhead. Never DM again.
>>
Can someone give me any ideas for some basic non-magical gear to buy? A lot of this shit doesn't seem worth it.
>>
File: elf.png (558KB, 553x742px) Image search: [Google]
elf.png
558KB, 553x742px
What should I name my elf?
>>
>>53477838
J'rom Inglewood
>>
>>53477831
Crowbar
Portable ram
Caltrops
Ball bearings
Grappling hook and LOTS OF ROPE
>>
>>53477831
grappling hook and rope
sheets of paper
chalk, charcoal
clay
bags of sand
eggs
>>
>>53477688
>but there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing.

Holy fuck, use some imagination. Have the main villain use defensive spells and gear the minions for huge damage so they become a higher priority. Give the minions concentration spells that can buff the main villain while they're alive, or even flatout give him a barrier or something that draws from their life essence.

There are a million ways to make a boss that can't be defeated until his minions all die, have you ever played an RPG?
>>
>>53477688
>no way for mooks to force party aggro.

Have you ever heard of wall of force? Also making the mooks genuinely threatening would help. Do all your fights include a big "Toughest Guy in the Room Arrow Right here" floating over the boss?
>>
>>53477831
TEN FOOT POLE YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>53477838
Albertariel Barbosius
>>
>>53477688
You got a lot of good (condescending) criticism here. It's 4chan, so don't be a faggot and take the free information and get better.
>>
Don't post in this thread or at least do it with sage guys.
>>
>>53477908
You have no power here.
>>
Unsaged post. Who the fuck cares if a black person is in the image?
>>
>>53477838
J'maal Laphonzius Brown
>>
>>53477929
>>53477932

The point isn't in the picture, it literally doesn't matter. It's creating new threads while the old one is on page 6 and posting these images just to be spiteful (they're not even original ones, he cycles between 6 or something).
But why do I bother, it's you posting anyway, OP.
>>
Thoughts on this slightly nerfed Revenant?

>regen only functions when you have more than 1 hp
>rather than instantly getting up on your turn you automatically pass death saves and get up with 1 only after 3 turns downed

Still rather OP however getting downed actually has a bit of consequence, and the DM doesn't have to focus your downed body to keep you from hopping back up next turn.

>>53477885
That actually sounds like an elf name.
>>
>>53477908
Or I could just not throw a shitfit over a fucking image. Yeah, OP is baiting, yeah he has a janitor sucking his dick, who cares, I'm here to talk about DnD, not get caught up in this /pol/ shit.

Go fuck yoursafe, post unsaged.
>>
>>53477838
Dindu WazKang
>>
>>53477838
Fukialam Nattadrow
>>
>>53477838
D'marius Brownlog
>>
File: masterpeace.jpg (444KB, 634x951px) Image search: [Google]
masterpeace.jpg
444KB, 634x951px
Reposting my shitty story time from last thread,

So, after holding onto a scroll of teleport my dm had given my character for months, I finally decided it was time to use it. Story time ahead.

>Diviner with Lucky feat
>6 dex and 7 con
>already died once and was brought back to life, arguably against my and my character's will
>old grandpa naturalist and retired librarian and all around pacifist from the start
>after a cave in and a dungeon crawl through some abandoned settlement and forge come across a dragon's hoard
>no escape route in sight, way back is a dead end because cave-in
>dragon offers help in exchange of unloading all of our hoard, magical or otherwise
>my lovely hoboes pick up their arms while i try to parlay
>think "yet another unavoidable boss fight vastly overleveled to match our group of murder machines"
>shadow dragon fuck thing, starts summoning shadows demons
>think "fuck it, fuck this, fuck everything"
>DM goes "Roll initiative!"
>"Portent! the dragon rolls a 6!"
>shadows go first and target me
>11AC with mage armor
>one shield!misses, another lucky+shield!misses
>rogue 2 goes first of all of us, kills one of the shadows next to me
>start reading what teleport actually does and how to use scrolls
>holy fuck it's only allies 10ft of you, can't possibly take the entire team as they were all scattered
>move into a better position, shadow 2 tries to OA me
>know pretty much any damage is enough to take me down, so go "Portent, the shadow rolls a 5 and misses me!
>in position, can take everyone except the fighter and rogue 2
>"I pull out of the bag of holding a scroll and use it, Teleport!"
>have to roll a 17 but have +5 on the scroll roll, roll a 13
>"I teleport everyone 10ft away from me, the fighter and rogue 2 are left behind to X location!"
>DM is stunned, he remembered the scroll but didn't really think i would actually use it, much less in this fight

(CONT.)

pic related, my character holding rogue 2
>>
>>53477010
>Should I drop the xp altogether and have them reach milestones for levelups?
Do this.

Your players doesn't want different exp levels. Unless some people are specifically a problem in terms of no-shows, keeping everyone at the same level is always the best.

What you are doing puts the players at odds with each other. It risks becoming a "that was my plan!" Shitfest, and people doing stupid "my character would do this" shit because "I risk falling behind if I dont".

Punish lazy players in other ways.
>>
>>53478084
(CONT.)

>after going through his notes and stating that this dragon has magic for no real good reason says:
>"The dragon tries to counter you scroll, he doesn't want to let you go, sensing all the magic items you are carrying and really pissed for finding his lair and trying to steal from it"
>i go "I want to counterspell his counterspell!"
>we both roll a contest, dragon rolls a 17 while I roll a 14
>Lucky! I reroll for an 18!
>"You and everyone in range are teleported away."
>everyone explodes in amusement and confusion
>everyone left behind is confused and pissed, thinking i just left them to die
>one of the others, whose character has a major dragon boner asks to stay behind, being the first time he encounters a dragon
>"it's actually willing creatures, so you can all stay if you want" I say
>"fuck it, says all the others, we are also out"
>dragon fight goes from 7 PCs to 3 PCs plus deus ex machina'd mia PC and some NPCs
>after some lucky/unlucky rolls they actually manage to kill the thing and reap the spoils, mountains of loot and stuff ensue
>people backing my character, people arguing that we could obviously took care of the dragon, DM's balance and loot to be delivered to X and Y character that are now separated, etc.
>night devolves into a deep philosophical discussion on in-character/OOC/meta actions and stuff
>we all agree to sort everything out next encounter and mostly laugh about how ridiculous the whole thing went

In the end the DM was having fun, the ones that stayed behind were hyped as fuck, especially the guy that always spectates/falls asleep and the ones that got away with me were a bit disappointed about the loss of xp/loot but agreed that at the moment they wouldn't have done anything differently.

The moral of the story I guess would be to never trust wizards and try to give your players options so they don't have to go out of the way to make them up themselves, fucking over your planned story in the process.
>>
What are some good tool proficencies?
>>
>>53477337
A female bookworm wizard, who is absolutely terrible at social interaction and awkward as all hell, and super easily manipulated. The type to just very easily be lead astray by some handsome schmuck the BBEG employs.

I rolled up her once, but the game died when the rest of the players dropped out before the first session. The GM actually liked the concept, pretty sad I never got to use it. It was intended to be the very "supportish" variant with very few blaster spells.
>>
>>53477337
A bride, who ran away from an arranged marriage to a disgusting brute she never met. I didn't play it, because this concept requires cooperation with someone who plays a man, who ran away from an arranged marriage with some ugly shrewd he never met.
>>
>>53477225
>muh fancy albino wolffff

or
>setting has not!africa and not!colonists
>they bring down wolves to keep natives in line
>natives steal them because they have a deep connection with the wild, and by extension the wolves listen to them more readily than their abusive euro owners
>>
>>53478107
If someone comes up with a plan and it involves other players, I give it to everybody involved. It has never come to the situation that my players are fighting for xp.
I might just drop xp values completely and have everybody level up together.
Thank you.
>>
>>53477010
how do people let their groups get this fucked up?

if people don't care about it and rather do something else, like looking through their phones, you don't punish them like little bitch boys, you stop running for them.
this shit takes time and effort and if you don't enjoy it you are not obligated to keep doing it, specially if they don't enjoy it either.

talk to them like fucking grown ups, ask them upfront and get a real answer an not the opinion from some randos in the internet.

if they tell you your story sucks, you can then decide to step up your game, if they tell you your mechanics/house-rules suck, you can consider changing them/dropping them, but if you have no fucking clue of what the problem with the campaign is, how do you expect us to know?
>>
>>53477355
As a player;
None of the options "made sense"

When we seriously considered our options in character, and left aside the meta knowledge of "supposedly we can handle this, since it is part of the adventure at this level", we couldn't justify attempting a lot of the plot hooks. From a character point of view, it was suicide.

The GM spent a lot of time trying to find good reasons, but he just dropped it, saying "the book doesn't really give any proper reasons for why this should be possible either. Maybe it assumes characters are overconfident or something. "

We just gave up trying.
>>
>>53477967
Not OP. I couldn't care less when the thread was posted, as long as it was posted after the autosage. Don't be a chimp.
>>
File: spells.png (105KB, 628x182px) Image search: [Google]
spells.png
105KB, 628x182px
>The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Does this mean that if I'm Cleric 1/Wizard 19 I can prepare 9th level Cleric spells?
>>
>>53478299
How do you mean?
How and why doesn't the adventure make sense?
>>
>>53478311
No. When you multiclass you prepare and know spells as though you were a single-classed member of each class. Cleric 1/wizard 19 can prepare 1st-level cleric spells and 9th-level wizard spells.
>>
>>53478311
Have you tried reading the multiclass rules? Because no.
>>
>>53478311
you can cast cleric spells in a 9th level slot, but not prepare a 9th level cleric spell.
>>
What is the best use of a flight speed? DM said I could use anything from PHB, SCAG and Volo's so I want to make a winged Tiefling. I was planning to make it a ranged rogue but perhaps you guys know better/more fun options
>>
>>53478390
>perhaps you guys know better/more fun options
yeah, not doing that.

Seriously, it sounds great at first, until you've got 12 goblins with shortbows all aimed at your dick.
>>
>>53478331
Because the plot hooks often sounds like something *way* out of our league.

Yeah, meta wise, we know it likely is possible when we get the hook (GM confirmed it probably was) but in character, with the knowledge we have, most of it sounds like "this will literally kill you, with 0 % chance of you getting even halfway through this alive.".

It's not evem funny. We ended the game at some point where most of our leads where:
>Nope.jpg
>Lolno
>What, are you serious
>why
GM threw us a homebrew lead, and we then just abandoned the SKT plot entirely. Only way we could salvage it.
>>
>>53477337
Old mystic who lives in a rundown house. He's the weird old man whose house kids run past screaming in fear for no discernable reason but then he starts using his Mystic powers to scare the kids with delusions and sprouting claws and shit and eventually gets kicked out of town for being a menace.
>>
>>53478421
The main idea is to use it to get to higher ground in combat. Not to just fly around all day every day.

Although that might work as well for melee only monsters.
>>
>>53478192
As a GM, I fucking wish someone would do this just *occasionally*.

My players are always describing their characters as being completely immune to diversions and charms, and only ever interested when they WANT to be.

I wish I had just a few flaws to work with. I hate how I never have anything to work with. Why is it so difficult for players to have just a few flaws? I have maybe one minor flaws in a full 5 man party.
>>
>>53478252
There's an easier way of keeping natives down:
>disease
>booze
>lead spitting boomsticks
>>
>>53478574
I'm sorry your group sucks, anon.
>>
>>53477355
I've not actually played it but I've read through it and I think I can address some of the complaints from last thread.
First of all, a lack of direction was a big complaint. As it's written the middle of the adventure is a sandbox, where the PCs fuck around the North for a couple of levels. A GM should just pick a few of the hooks and run with them; have the cleric's temple to go retrieve an artifact from place X, or have the Harper investigate an attack on village Y.
Second, the encounters with the Giants were widely agreed to be too difficult, on the grounds that the PCs will quickly get out-manned. As written, it's clear that if they pick a fairish fight against anyone in the giant castle/camp/etc, they'll get swarmed. But, also as written, there are ways to make the fights quite unfair; the fire and cloud giants have children (and it's explicitly stated that they'll both trade their conches for their kids), the frost giant has two(!) dragons imprisoned whom you can team up with, the stone giant is acting against her people's traditions and you can probably convince her followers that she's not a worthy leader, and iirc the hill giant's followers don't get along (I think the goblinoids don't like the orcs or something). So just charging through isn't going to work, but there are ways around it.

>>53477521
If they're zhents you could always just have them get orders (not suggestions) from highers-up that the giant problem is something that needs to be addressed asap. And the fire giant is building a WMD, so if all else fails you can go with the "you can't destroy this world, I live in it" route.
>>
Is the Staff of Defence on the OP side at level 2?
>>
File: 1428931911392.jpg (34KB, 746x691px) Image search: [Google]
1428931911392.jpg
34KB, 746x691px
>>53478574
Because nobody wants to be That Guy who runs off to join the BBEG and tears the party apart because they're now basically team-killing, or who loses their character because "LOL YOU'RE EVIL NOW SO YOUR CHARACTER GOES TO THE DM".
>>
>>53478599
but that doesn't look as cool.

also cages with dogs that have chains long enough to let them nip an inch or so inside of the bars is the best way to keep your prisoners tired and scared, as long as you make sure the dogs keep barking
>>
>>53478272
My suggestion, if you still want to encourage creativity and clever roleplaying, is to give rewards for it. I've heard of DMs who give M&Ms or some other sweet as an Inspiration token, the player can eat it to gain advantage on a single d20 roll (Also prevents players forgetting about inspiration).

As I play online, I use Inspiration cards, which are similar but have way more uses. These are the ones I use:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2nnog3/my_inspiration_cards/
>>
>>53477838
>>
>>53478664
What?

Literally what the fuck are you talking about?

I am asking for flaws, not "kill your friends" edgy shit.

I at least assumed the above post is in the "fooled and tricked into doing something detrimental to the party/herself" direction, not "betray the party and join the BBEG".
>>
File: Multiclassed spells.png (60KB, 314x238px) Image search: [Google]
Multiclassed spells.png
60KB, 314x238px
>>53478311
>>
>>53478709
i hate him so much, he's so fucking annoying, how can anyone watch that?
>>
>>53478778
literally who
>>
>>53477486
1) don't use player characters for boss fights. That's lame, and boring.
2) set up an interesting scene with terrain features. Maybe the sorcerer's lair is magical, and he can move large sections of it and walk on the walls. Maybe there's a pit of power in the middle of the room.
3) Warn the players beforehand. Did they research the enemy? Why do they know where he is, did somebody give them a 'quest'? Just give them some intel. "This mage is always prepared for intruders."
>>
File: pirate light drinking.jpg (236KB, 752x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pirate light drinking.jpg
236KB, 752x1600px
Tips on a Pirate campaign?
>>
>>53478818
if they walk straight into a mage-dick and don't expect to get screwed, they deserve the ass-reaming.
>>
>>53478838
find the AC:4 pirate songs you can teach your crew and play them as background musiv
>>
>>53478838
make sure there are pirates.

Oh! And oceans! Unless they are sand pirates.
>>
>>53478867
>sand pirates

Or Space Pirates, or Sky Pirates, or Internet Pirates.
>>
>>53478852
Yes, I agree.
>Okay so you ready yourself outside of the main gate. Power pulses through the thick wood.
>You want to charge through? Okay.
>Rogue, you open the door?
Gm roll charisma. You're possed by one of the mage's bound spirits, when the players charge through the door you attack the cleric.
>Everyone roll a dex save or get hit by the defensive rays for 10d10 damage.
>Roll initiative.
>>
>>53478883
nah, those other three should still have oceans, somewhere.
>>
>>53478838
Don't just make it "D&D but with mermaids", use the setting creatively. Battles during a storm where the ship is rocking, getting blown off course and needing to navigate your way back while maintaining your rations, etc.
>>
What are some must have spells for a Bladelock Hexblade? I know armor is a must have but are there any others that can help me out.
>>
>>53477486
Let him buff himself up quite a bit, but dont exactly use super effective spells on the party. Of course make sure he has mage armor on, shield pretty much on standby at all times, cast haste/blur/mirror image to keep himself from being hit, and use spells like a twinned blight to fuck people up but not TPK right off.
>>
>>53478637
No, but it could be pretty strong if you have some PCs profiting from Mage Armor

I'd give it 7 or 5 charges instead of 10 and make it regenerate d4+3 charges each long rest instead of d6+4
>>
>siblings playing as siblings
>couples playing as couples
>>
>>53478953
depends on whether you're going cursebringer or not

if you are, your spells hardly matter because you're going to use all your slots for smiting

if not, your spells hardly matter because you hardly get any. focus on the warlock-exclusive spells (armor of agathys and hex) because they were actually designed for a half-caster
>>
File: 1379801729360.jpg (202KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1379801729360.jpg
202KB, 800x800px
>>53478252
>natives steal them because they have a deep connection with the wild

Holy shit this is one of the most racist, "noble savage" tropes in fiction. Why don't you put bones in their hair, cook up the male explorers and declare their pretty blonde secretary a goddess.
>>
>>53477337
Triton Paladin out to win honor and glory and earn his fish princess's waifu's hand in marriage

Human/Goliath Barbarian raised by oni.

Char Clone. Dunno how it's work, either another Paladin or possibly a Fighter?
>>
>>53478333
>>53478334
>>53478311
I disagree. The example from the book on multi-classing is unfortunate in that it only references classes with 'spells known' columns. I would argue that clerics, as a non-'spells known' class, know all their spells and can prepare anything they have spell slots for. I mean, as a level one cleric, you're limited to 1+wis cleric spells prepared, but from what I can read, I think you could.

That said, I've yet to convince a DM of that, or at least not any DM I was currently playing with. This is a very good case of 'ask your DM, not the Internet.'
>>
>>53479117
Africans are inherently deeper connected to nature as they are directly powered by the sun (thus the presence of melanin in their bodies)
>>
>>53477010
>how do people let their groups get this fucked up?
I am their first DM and it's my second time DMing (did it for like 5 sessions before) we are all inexperienced

>if people don't care about it you don't punish them, you stop running for them
Stop running for 4 players who seem to enjoy it because one person is getting bored/distracted? It's not even the same person every time
>this shit takes time and effort and if you don't enjoy it you are not obligated to keep doing it
Agreed, problem is I do enjoy it mostly, there's just these hiccups I mentioned.
Today I rp'd a merchant that was outgoing and trying to sell them (valuable) stuff for good prices actually. One player literally raged out of character saying he's going to kill him even though I explained and demonstrated that he is a lot stronger than the entire party [he's actually the head of an organisation they know about]
His reasoning was that he didn't want to talk to him, he just wanted to turn in the quest and get the rewards, even though everybody else was talking to the npc.
>talk to them like fucking grown ups
I did. I already had a rant about metagaming and looking up monster stats and abilities, which bugs me so much that I'm homebrewing my own monsters. I had them fight shattering skeletons because of how they talked about skeletons resistance to piercing damage and them having to go up close. When I explained how the barb's maul shattered the skeleton, shooting bone splinters all over the room damaging half his party they literally said "They can't do that."
I hope you understand from what point I am asking for help. I could just let them have a memelord hack'n'slash that nobody would enjoy or get help from more experienced people like you.
1/2
>>
>>53478287
Missed my first reply.

>if they tell you your story sucks, you can then decide to step up your game, if they tell you your mechanics/house-rules suck, you can consider changing them/dropping them
See above. We are playing for 8-10 hrs straight, time flies so fast because mostly everyone is involved, it's not like it's a boring drag. Occassionally there's a problem (e.g. only one single pc has a real backstory that I can work with, everybody else is literally "my family was murdered by x, I seek revenge hurr")
and the guaranteed xp rant at the end of the session (going to drop xp values completely, only telling them when they level up)
Thank you for your input, Anon.
2/2
>>
I've been working on a poem thing for a campaign, but I'm hitting a wall right now.
It's got a dude bragging about how cold it is in his homeland, and I need good, epic ways to say how fuckin cold it is. Like, "so cold the pines crack and shatter" is one that I've got. But they have to be realistic, like, something that happens in real life when it's fucking cold, but it still sounds cool to someone who's never been that cold.
Does anybody have any ideas they could help me out with?
>>
>>53478838
Actually have some fucking pirating in it.
>>
>>53479151
You know nothing of Africa.
>>
>>53478730
>>53479120
>You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually

When you're preparing your Cleric spells your Wizard levels mean diddly shit, you count as a level 1 Cleric, have the slots of a level 1 Cleric and prepare an amount of spells a level 1 Cleric can prepare.

I agree the book's not the clearest on this but I'm 99% sure they added something that clears it up in errata.
>>
>>53478838
Put the players on a boat then just let them do what they want. They'll naturally behave like pirates.
>>
>>53479117
>OP pic is literally face painted bone-earrings-scantly-clad-barefoot-tribal nigress
>get mad when I make up something fitting the caricature

if you're going to cry about racism do it somewhere you wont look stupid
>>
What do you think of factions? What about the 5e factions specifically?

My DM seems to have offers open for different party members to join some, I think I'm being invited to the Lord's Alliance but they're pretty shadowy about me knowing anything about them right now.
>>
>>53479321
They're ok. It feels forced if they all show up in every game but they're flexible enough that you can usually have one or two running around.
>>
>>53479213
Except that your wizard levels give you more spell slots, and I can't find anything to suggest a limiting factor on what cleric spells you can prepare other than spell slots, even in the errata. The closest I've found is "spells copied into the Wizard's spellbook must be of a level of spell he can prepare," which is more suggestive of your point of view than if they had phrased it 'can be of any level he can prepare.' But, I mean, it's kind of six of one a half dozen of the other from what I can see.
>>
>>53479120
>be archmage, 16th level wizard
>devoted most of his life to arcane studies
>take one level of cleric
>can now suddenly cast True Resurrection and Power Word Heal
Don't think so, boyo.
>>
>>53479303
I'm personally much more concerned about it being fucking retarded nonsense than it being racist.
>>
>>53479390
Read the pic in this post: >>53478730
You dunce.
>>
>>53479390
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/03/can-a-cleric-14paladin-6-cast-9th-level-clr-spells/
>>
>>53479446
>tfw Power Word Heal is not a cleric spell
How come?
>>
>>53479156
>>53479181
>i don't have any problem, everyone is enjoying it all the time
>except i have several problems with the group and no one is enjoying X or Y or ...
????

what the fuck do you want from me?

if you talked to them about your problems and they are not doing anything about it, resorting to pussified wrist slap tactics people will either keep on disregarding you or get fed up with you.

in the end, there's no point in playing a game where either not everyone is on the same page, or the majority of the group is on different pages.

if he wants to kill the npc, you can go "X starts pulling out his weapon, what do you want to do?" if the party agrees to let him do so, then let them suffer the consequences, if they have to talk to him or pacify him, good for the roleplay as well.

if you fill your world with people in plain clothing that are stronger than the party for ??? reasons, then you are evidently not willing to let go of your carefully planned plot and are just having them on a themepark ride, if there's good reasons for random people to be stronger than the party, they must be aware of them.

if they want to metagame and pull up monsterblocks, either let them A) steamroll everything until they get bored for their own stupidity, or throw stupid shit they are not prepared, if they complain about it you pull the "I'm the DM" card, if they complain further they EVIDENTLY don't respect the second most important rule about the game, that the DM is the law, not just of the country, the law of the fucking universe.
If they can't agree to that, they don't respect you as a DM and you shouldn't run for them either way.

seriously, seriously, if a problem in a table top game can't be solved by talking like adults, then it can't be solved any other way.

your xp system was very bad from the start, so at least that's going away.
>>
>>53479321
i think we've never used them nor i have ever read through them at all.
>>
>>53478838
No joke, go watch the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Ignore Jack being stupid, focus on the antagonists and the big action scenes.
>>
>>53478867
You don't get to call yourself a pirate unless you've been on a desert adventure.
>>
Do I want mobile as soon as possible on a monk? Running in and out with 50+ speed seems pretty decent
>>
Should I side with the bro Human Knight, or the sexy Tiefling lady?
>>
>>53479891
>Bro
>Ho
Come on, man.
>>
>>53479891
Both will inevitable betray you, take your chances with sexy.
>>
It's less than two whole days? Progress!

>>53443175
Look up proficiency die variant. Your martial arts die is now the proficiency die.

>>53445608
>Kobold's idea of poisoned weapon is a scorpion tied to a stick
>Goblins aren't even that smart

>>53446245
Check the DMG rules on harvesting poison though. It's hard and dangerous and you can only really get one dose when you kill a poisonous critter, and that's if you're lucky. Most likely, the goblin will just die. In fact, 5% chance to get poison, 75% chance to die (be exposed to the poison), for the basic goblin. You use basic poison because getting the natural stuff will fucking kill you, sooner rather than later.

>>53447757
Steal ideas from Exile/Avernum.
>>
>>53479891
>Actually considering the ho before the bro
Come on anon Try and fuck the tiefling later though
>>
>>53479689
I mean, even Jack is okay in the first movie when he's not the main character. He's just a good trickster archetype.
Then they made him the main character and blew his wackiness completely out of proportion. It's like the second and third movies were almost parodies of the first.

Plus, in the first one you were never sure if he was actually good. He had the potential to be evil, and then in dead man's chest and world's end I'm not sure if he actually killed a single other person.
>>
>>53479986
Like I said, Ignore Jack being stupid. Don't ignore him entirely. He has the qualities of a well defined character, but was written into obnoxious self-parody.

Although if you consider him a syphilitic nutter, which he likely is, it explains quite a bit.
>>
Hi 5eg
I'd like to build a melee combatant that can tank and keep multiple enemies at bay at once.

Any builf/class suggestions? I want to be able to protect the caster in my party, we decided thay I'm hid bodyguard
>>
>>53480109
Eldritch Knight, Polearm Mastery, Sentinel.
>>
>>53480109
Storm Herald Barbarian.
>>
>>53480109
Paladin, Oath of the Crown. It's the best bodyguard.
>>
>>53480109
I don't know about tanking, but the Hunter Conclave Ranger has some bonuses specifically aimed towards fighting groups.
>>
>>53479589
Nevermind, thank you for your time.
>>
>>53479951
>Scorpion tied to a stick
>Implying that'd do anywhere near as much damage as a spear aside from the poison effect

Glad to see I still get (yous) from multiple days old posts
>>
>players spend 60 minutes out of character discussing how to proceed instead of just doing something
>>
>>53480273
You don't actually get (yous) from cross thread posts but really:

>Kobold Dragonshield
Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or
range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (ld6 + 1) piercing damage, or
5 (ld8 + 1) piercing damage ifused with two hands to make a
melee attack.
>Kobold Inventor
6. Scorpion on a Stick. The kobold makes a melee attack with
a scorpion tied to the end of a 5-foot-long pole. Melee Weapon
Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage,
and the target must make a DC 9 Constitution saving throw,
taking 4 (ld8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much
damage on a successful one.

>Implying
It does less damage than the spear even with the poison effect.
>>
>>53479151
Ooga booga sorcery is real?!
>>
Reposting, with changes based on constructive criticism:

Rogue Archetype, name pending, and fluff ommitted. But basically, trying to make a Jack Sparrow archetype. And no, swashbuckler is not what I want, though it comes closer.

>Can sneak attack with improvised weapons. If you do so with a melee weapon, you can entangle the enemy in it (unequipping it), reducing their movement by the damage dealt by the sneak attack, rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5.

>Level 9: Can spend a minute talking to an NPC to befuddle them. Wisdom/Insight vs Your Charisma/Deception, if successful, during the next ten minutes, you can take over one turn or six second period for that NPC, controlling their actions. You can't do anything that would obviously harm the NPC with this ability, and you can only have one NPC affected at a time.

>Level 13, as a bonus action or reaction, you can shove an enemy (fluffed as using some environmental feature). Enemies shoved this way, can't take actions or reactions until the end of your next turn. Once you use it, you can't use this again until 1d4 rounds have passed.

>level 17
After spending a minute, or 10 total rounds in an environment, you are able to make a haphazard trap. You choose the conditions for the trap, and the targets. When the trap is triggered, unwilling targets can attempt to save against this effect (Str or Int, target's choice, DC19). You may move each unsaved or willing target 20 feet in any direction, and can choose a different direction for each. Doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. You can only have one such trap at a time, and traps cannot be moved.
>>
File: but uhm.png (15KB, 730x413px) Image search: [Google]
but uhm.png
15KB, 730x413px
>>53479535
That's a fucking good question
>>
>>53477010
Do you use inspiration? If you don't you should reward that, instead of XP for clever strategies/RP. How much is the XP difference between the highest and lowest difference characters (in Total) and how much is the difference in XP that gets rewarded at the end of each session, typically?

Assuming it isn't a negligible amount, I'd do away with the XP penalties. TTRPGs are meant to not be like work or school, if players just want to coast along, relax and just kill things, then let them. Reward the good players to encourage people to play in a certain way but don't force them.
>>
>>53479535
Because Mass Heal is.
>>
File: 1485884433751.jpg (4KB, 250x219px) Image search: [Google]
1485884433751.jpg
4KB, 250x219px
The dagger says that it deals 1d4 piercing damage.

What if I want to use it as a slashing attack? Can I improvise it as a 1d4 slashing damage weapon?

What if I want to hit someone with the handle of the dagger (for example, knocking them out from behind). Can it be improvised as a 1d4 bludgeoning damage weapon?

If I do any of this (if allowed) would you still be able to add your STR or DEX modifier?
>>
>>53480554
Yes.
>>
Should different human ethnicities gain racial proficiency with different weapon types, like Turami gaining spear proficiency for an example
>>
>>53480554
Real answer first: Yes, to all of the above, because martials are cucked enough, and ruling on any basis that you can't change your damage type in a common sense way, or penalizing you for doing so, would be stupid.

No. As DM, it is my job to determine what damage your improvised weapons deal, or if they even count. A dagger is not an improvised weapon, and you are only proficient in stabbing anyways. Furthermore, even if I allowed this obviously unrealistic exploit, I wouldn't let you add your stat to it. Take your min/maxing elsewhere cretin, martials are for simple folks who don't worry about damage types.
>>
>>53480554
If we're on the subject of common sense, I'm not sure if using the pommel would work as a finesse weapon. You might have to just use STR for that.
>>
How do you reward players for completing side quests?

Gold is boring and magic items seem to be a bit of an overkill
>>
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/05/28/its-now-obvious-how-to-live-without-bonus-actions/

Looks like rogues aren't supposed to be able to dash twice in a single turn
>>
>>53480590
Personally, I think if you really want a specific proficiency, you should ask your DM for it, with good backstory reasons why you should have it.
Pigeonholing people into picking races just for the proficiency limits choice and roleplaying options. Plus, it doesn't make much sense. If I'm Swedish, is it assumed that I'm good with pikes? If I'm American, am I automatically proficient with firearms?
>>
File: 1469827079349.png (25KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1469827079349.png
25KB, 418x455px
>>53480586
And let's say that you use a longsword (1d8 slashing damage) as a piercing weapon instead of a slashing weapon.

If you did this would it be considered an "improvised weapon" and deal piercing damage? So it'd deal 1d4 piercing damage even though as a slashing weapon it'd deal 1d8? And same if you tapped someone on the head with the handle like for my dagger example to get the 1d4 bludgeoning damage?

Just making sure I understand this.

>>53480621
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. What's your thoughts for the above?

y-yes sir I'm sorry s-sir please d-don't summon d-d-dragons or d-drop rocks mr dm s-sir i-i'll just use a 1 damage kick s-sir

>>53480626
Good point. Not sure now if STR or DEX would work for it. I can see it being argued both ways.
>>
>>53477688
Here is a tip to make minions challenging, and I won't even call you a retard! Taking a page from 4e, say minions die in one hit. Against AOE spells, if they save, they survive, if they fail, they die. Make these minions hit hard, have special powers (taking hits for the BBEG), or are concentrating on buffs for the BBEG. Any or all of these things will encourage PCs to attack minions.

This doesn't extend combat too much, so no 4 hour critical role snoozefest.
>>
File: scimitar.jpg (93KB, 2903x1745px) Image search: [Google]
scimitar.jpg
93KB, 2903x1745px
>>53480719
Well, longswords are designed to be good at both slashing and stabbing, so I'd say you could probably deal the same amount. But scimitars were specialized slashing weapons, so they wouldn't stab nearly as well, and rapiers were specialized stabbing weapons, so they can't slash for shit.
At this point though, the "simple and easy" 5e rules start to fall apart in the face of realism.
>>
>>53480690
XP, if you use XP. Otherwise check out pg 227 of the DMG, "Other Rewards".
>>
>>53480719
>>53480811
Throw realism out the door desu. This is mythic fantasy. If you want to slash with your rapier, then you can. If you want to pierce with your hammer, you can. You've just got to inform the DM before making your attack if you're using a nonstandard damage type.
>>
>>53479476
then why is the first adjective you used in your post 'racist'?

stop moving the goal posts and defend your knee jerk or admit you were just knee jerking, fag
>>
>>53480719
The improvised weapon thing is incredibly stupid in regards to handling weapon use and I ignore the 1d4 in exchange for coming up with whatever i think the damage would make sense

Yeah a Kingswood can thrust for 1d8 piercing, that would make perfect sense since it's designed as a cut and thrust sword. I might make it have 1d6 bludgeoning to smash with the pommel but it requires a free hand (think mordhau)

As long as it makes sense I'll let players switch their damage type for weapons. You aren't cutting with a quarterstaff but lots of warhammers had spikes on the reverse end so they could do piercing. An axe could use bludgeoning because it has a reverse on the head that's basically a hammer
>>
File: 1469444563425.png (5KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1469444563425.png
5KB, 645x773px
>>53480811
I agree with what you said. Thanks. Also had thought of the scimitar and rapier example too.

>>53480847
And then there's this which I also agree with.

>>53480874
And it seems like there's a consensus. Thanks guys.
>>
What's a good way to hint at a weapon being magical without outright stating it?

Like say one enemy wields a +1 crossbow and nobody uses them in my group. Most people would just ignore a crossbow if it was generic but I don't want them to just skip over a magic weapon
>>
>>53480811
>At this point though, the "simple and easy" 5e rules start to fall apart in the face of realism.
The simple rules are literally there so that you can say "Yes you can stab with your longsword, but you can't cut with your warhammer"
>>
>>53480947
Describe the crossbow making an odd noise when it is fired.
>>
>>53480554
Ask your fucking DM.
>>
>>53480947
I always describe them to my players, generally being very ornate, feeling much lighter than they should or perfectly balanced. Possibly glowing or having glowing runes inscribed on them. Works for master-crafted weapons and magical weapons.
>>
>>53480947
Describe some sort of magical effect on it.

>you see the goblin shoot and the tip of the crossbow gleams with arcane energies for just a flash but then no more
>the crossbow seems to glow with arcane energy as it's brandished at X's head
>the crossbow fires too clean and straight to be normal, especially in the possession of the kobolds/goblins; it's in mint condition compared to the rest of his gear, hinting at magical enchantments

something like that + what the others have said should be hint enough. If they still ignore and overlook it then move on, they don't deserve it.
>>
File: 1475368040128.jpg (25KB, 337x372px) Image search: [Google]
1475368040128.jpg
25KB, 337x372px
>>53480994
I am the DM. Prepping for a game and the question popped into my head.

You seem a little angry, is everything okay with you, Anon? I'm here for you man.
>>
>>53480947
The crossbow looks like it was crafted to perfection, you have a hard time taking your eyes off of it. In fact, you don't want to take your eyes off of it, you want to fuck that crossbow.
>>
>>53480874
>deal slashing with a hammer
>deal slashing with fireball
>deal bludgeoning with acid splash
>deal poison with ice knife
>deal ice with sword
>deal radiant with javelin
This is mythic fantasy, right?
>>
>>53481082
You have been charmed by the crossbow.

What do you want to do?
>>
>>53481092
Meant for>>53481092
>>
>>53481119
>>53481092
Meant for >>53480847
Fucking phone posting
>>
>>53481140
dumb phoneposter
>>
We have a new party. All level 8 from creation. Everyone has 2 homebrew magic items.

Human Blood Hunter werewolf thingy.

Tefling warlock, don't know which Pact.

High elf Fighter, Battlemaster.

And me, Dragonborn Sorcerer, Wild Magic.

How fucked up are we?
>>
>>53481098
I got pretty good con saves so I guess just go to town on it.
>>
File: 1481689309345.png (144KB, 390x566px) Image search: [Google]
1481689309345.png
144KB, 390x566px
>>53481092
>>53481119
>>53481140
Everything is going to be OK, Anon.

I for one don't judge you harshly. It could happen to anyone.

We're all friends here.
>>
>>53481071
Then it's your rules man. I have a session 0 of sorts tonight and I'm tired. If this campaign falls through I think I'm done.
>>
File: 1492541898305.jpg (48KB, 580x894px)
1492541898305.jpg
48KB, 580x894px
>>53481140
It's ok anon I won't judge you
Only because I don't have any smug anime girls on my phone
>>
>>53481190
You pass the Con saving throw but fail your Dex saving throw.

The enchanted crossbow clicks and fires a bolt straight to the family jewels for 24 piercing damage.

The rest of your party has already left. I'll need you to make some death saving throws, Anon. Unless you'd just like to let go.
>>
>>53481205
Yeah, if it ever came up I was planning on allowing it within reason but thought it'd make for some nice /tg/ postfodder.

Hope it goes well, man. Good luck.
Any ideas on what you're planning on playing?
>>
>>53479689
To add to that, also read or watch Captain Blood.
On top of being great for getting some strong piratical adventure seeds or themes, it's also a great classic adventure book/movie. I draw on it often regardless of system or setting.
>>
>>53481255
B-b-but I'm a level 6 sorcerer can I not shield that? Plus I would have more than enough HP.....
>>
>>53478867
>sand pirates
This might be my least favorite faction meme.

In almost every desert of a sand area there always seem to be sand bandits or sand pirates sailing around as nomads.
>>
>>53478002
>>53477885
Only ones that made me laugh
>>
>>53481286
Oh, disregard my earlier snapping then. I'm an almost forever DM using a bit of homebrew in this campaign. I wanted something with consequences but some aren't a fan of that.
>>
File: 1474858422452.png (91KB, 374x318px) Image search: [Google]
1474858422452.png
91KB, 374x318px
>>53481321
Hmmmmmmmm... Fine. I'll allow it. Sorcerer's typically have decent dex + their natural armor boosting their AC, that with your shield will just barely save your scaly cock.

Well, congratulations anon. You dodged a bolt to the dragonnads, you sorcerer crossbow-fucking bastard.

I don't think you'll find a buyer for that crossbow anymore... but at least you have a nice story to tell.
>>
>>53481350
yeah, they're bandits, anon. They're everywhere. their in deserts, on the sea, in the air, in forests, grasslands, mountains...
>>
>>53481441
It's less about that and more about the sand trope.

Sailing on the sand, riding the sand, dry-humping the sand, etc., etc.

Overused. I just want to see some regular Egyptian style camels and pyramids again.
>>
>>53481418
>but at least you have a nice story to tell

And this is how magic items are done.
>>
File: 1493392376116.jpg (78KB, 680x428px) Image search: [Google]
1493392376116.jpg
78KB, 680x428px
>>53481418
>dragonic sorc
What do you think I am a mere conjurer of cheap tricks?
I am a wild magic sorcerer, and accept the title of crossbow-fucking bastard. I must compete with the bard in his contest to fuck everything.
>>
>>53481409
It's all good, Anon.

I think there should be consequences during the campaign. Not sure why they wouldn't want that. If you save X or kill Y it's always fun to have something about them come springing back up later on down the line. Sister comes for revenge, they swing by and save you to repay the favor you did for them, etc.
>>
>>53481465
>dislikes fantastical elements in a fantasy setting
>>
File: 2562572775.gif (1MB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
2562572775.gif
1MB, 400x220px
>Session every single week at the same time
>Every fucking week Captain Chucklefuck has a 50% chance of being either late or don't show up due to "plans"

THE GAME IS EVERY FUCKING WEEK IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO KEEP YOUR PLANS FREE FOR A FEW HOURS A WEEK.
>But maybe they're actually busy
We literally schedule around them because if they don't play they'll bitch like a little baby, and after agreeing on a schedule THEY MADE they can't even be fucked to tell us they won't be making it until 5 minutes before the game starts
>Kick them
If fucking only. That's the downside to playing with irl friends, you can't just kick them to the curb like the peasants on roll20

I'm not even the DM and this shit is driving me up the wall. Having to put up with people like that as a DM must be insufferable.
>>
>>53481506
Things like that would be a thing regardless but I meant for the players. I mean when they lose I want it to actually mean something and not just be a slap on the wrist. Wounds that hurt saves, quest failures, weapons getting ruined from overuse, stuff like that and I hope I can ease everyone into keeping track of things themselves because I'm not doing that ever again. Not after PTU.
>>
File: 1492678703315.png (53KB, 315x320px)
1492678703315.png
53KB, 315x320px
>>53481498
Wild Magic is weird man.

You fucking crossbows makes perfect sense for your character.

Take a point of inspiration.
>>
>>53477838
Lii'l Waene
>>
>>53477838
Frech Prence L'air
>>
Okay, so the V3 Mystic has an ability where if the target fails the saving throw they can only use their action to dash, dodge or attack
Could this be used to disable a caster, since the attack action is separate from the casting spells action in the PHB?
>>
>>53481519
Eh, I can see how he'd be fatigued by it. If everything tries to make things fantastic in exactly the same way it can be very one-note. Sometimes you can find yourself thinking, "It'd be nice to have some 'normal' fantastic stuff for once".
>>
>>53481652
Yes
>>
>>53481582
Fantastic. I now have magical crossbow, green dragon (unknown sex), animated carpet, a roper, female human, female elf on my list of things fucked. Bard aint got shit on a sorcerer, bitches love magic.
>>
>>53481661
Sweet!
>>
I want to DM a game with a setting of dread, spookyness, eldritch theme. Where do I find non-autistic players who are not going to bail on day1?
>>
>>53481703
Yes*

*RAW anyway, RAI maybe not.
>>
>>53477337
Triton artificer flavored as jacques cousteau. Has a mechanical octopus in a bag of holding and the worst french accent i can muster.
>>
>>53480861
That was not my post.
>>
>>53481573
Yes you can
>Hey if you guys can't make it this often you've got other things to sort out, let me know when you can meet a weekly schedule and I'll be happy to put you back in
>>
>>53481652
Don't see why not. Seems to be the intention of it.

More technically if it says 'attack' then that sounds like it prevents monsters from using the 'multiattack' action.
>>
>>53480714
people already pick human for the sweet bonus feat, why not give the nigger humans spear chucking abilities?
>>
>>53478252
>muh connection to nature
>implying animals like you because 'you have a connection to nature'
not
>implying animals like you because you have good wisdom + charisma and can handle that shit
>>
Me and my group just finished the starter set and we're ready to do character creation and use the full rulebooks and all that good stuff.

Any advice on a good first adventure for low level players? I'm willing to work with something outside the regular 5e line.
>>
>>53482024
I felt that sunless citadel was pretty good if you're looking for a dungeon, TYP was pretty good in general
>>
>>53481810
>>implying animals like you because 'you have a connection to nature'
Do you know what "rangers" and "druids" are?
>>
Is this even progress? Another thread down.

>>53449137
I don't see "Rally, if you're the party face" on there.
>>53449303
>good ol' fashioned, american fire.
Yes. Make it so.
>>53449533
'e said melee, twinkle toes.
>>53449558
>Remove Pact of the Blade
Warlocks have had melee options since their inception. It should stay. It just needs to work.
>>53450031
>Not recognizing the difference between alternate Action options and boosts to your existing Action options.
>>53450125
You can't really stop someone from attacking short of stunning them either. Maybe an option to give "Folks have advantage on saves against this thing's spells" as a counterpart to disadvantage on attack rolls. 4E handles this so much better in some ways, though I bet they wanted to limit sources of advantage when they thought about separating saves and attacks again.
>>53452773
I think anti-use case number one to get you to use anything other than Spirit Guardians is if you find yourself against an enemy you don't want to get into melee with in the first place. Otherwise, Crusader's Mantle needs ~5 attacks per enemy in the Guardians area to equal out.
The primary use case in favor of Crusader's Mantle, meanwhile, probably comes from casters using monster summoning spells, like a druid/ranger's Conjure Animals, a bard/wizards animate objects, etc.
>>
>>53482084
>Druids
Spellcasters who roll in the mud and prefer to use 'charm person' on animals instead of human beings because human beings have too high an intellect for them
>Rangers
Guys who like tracking down and killing animals
>>
>>53476249
>>>53477010
>Do you use inspiration? If you don't you should reward that, instead of XP for clever strategies/RP.
Yes, I give it out regularly. They seem to not value it and forget about it unless I remind them.
>How much is the XP difference between the highest and lowest difference characters (in Total)
Currently 1500xp difference in total, because he missed a session but I had him catch up with sidequests while the group was doing things.
>how much is the difference in XP that gets rewarded at the end of each session, typically?
Today the difference was 800xp, while they gained 12k xp today (we played literally all day long)
>TTRPGs are meant to not be like work or school, if players just want to coast along, relax and just kill things, then let them. Reward the good players to encourage people to play in a certain way but don't force them.
Nobody is being forced or scolded in any way, we had one player who literally did nothing but roll dice for damage and charge in without thinking. He quickly got bored and left the group, but everyone tagged along.
I just felt really uncomfortable after a player nerdraged today because he wanted to rush the quest and skip everything else.
>>
Nowhere on the description for Eldritch Knights it talks about an Arcane Focus. Does that mean they have to use a component pouch to cast spells with Material components?
>>
>>53482404
>They seem to not value it and forget about it unless I remind them.
Have you read what I suggested previously (>>53478692)? Having a physical representation for Inspiration, be it sweets or cards, usually helps with that.
>>
>>53482264
but charm person doesn't work on animals senpai, thats what animal friendship is for
>>
>>53482419
Yes
>>
File: 1496010527895.jpg (458KB, 1920x2716px)
1496010527895.jpg
458KB, 1920x2716px
Is the goblin race's ability Fury of the Small ever actually relevant to anything? Seems weak as hell.
>>
>>53482901
idk, 20th level is 20 extra damage, that seems alright if you're desprate
>>
>>53482901
+X damage to nearly any creature in the game 1/short rest seems weak?
>>
>>53482922
Just seems like it takes a bit to come online, and falls off pretty hard.

20 damage at level 20 isn't all that much, but I suppose it is free.
>>
File: 1437201302151.jpg (57KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1437201302151.jpg
57KB, 876x493px
>>53476249
what's with all the niggers lately?
>>
>>53480947
After the guy carrying it dies, a green-glowing soccer-ball-sized d12 pops out of his body.
>>
>>53482901
it sounds pretty decent to me senpai, and it scales with your level so it stays relevant without being too over powered
>>
>>53482958
it's better than what some core races get. *cough dragonborn cough tielflings*
>>
So I just built a High Elf (Moon Elf) Tome Warlock (not a blade/chain) under the Archfey. Name is Laucian Nightbreeze. After receiving aid from the Queen of Air and Darkness he has indebted himself to her and, though she is silent and does not speak or direct him, he is insistent on learning why she has gifted him this power. He will be searching for knowledge: who is this Queen of Fey, why did she help him, and what can he do to meet her expectations?

Nickname will be "Law" (first name "Laucian" being pronounced "law-cian"). He's Chaotic Neutral to start and will either shift to Chaotic Good or Chaotic Evil depending on the RP and the direction of the campaign. Current personality is selfish and very "Ends justify the means," but he also loves freedom and respects those who stand up for themselves and others. He's got a devil's tongue and lies left and right where it helps him.

Rate my autism and offer suggestions. How shit is this for a character idea?
>>
File: Dwarf_Engineer_Weapon_10-29_01.jpg (243KB, 1327x715px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf_Engineer_Weapon_10-29_01.jpg
243KB, 1327x715px
How's this for a low level magic item?

One of my players wants to reflavor Eldritch blast into firing a flintlock pistol but I plan on giving all the players some small yet unique magic items. This will be going to said player at around level 3.

Weapon (pistol), uncommon (requires attunement by a warlock) - Once this flintlock is attuned, the user gains +1 to spell attack rolls made while casting Eldritch Blast through this weapon.

As an action, the user can load the weapon with a charge of Eldritch Energy. This increases to two charges at 5th level, three at 11th level, and four at 17th level. Using a bonus action, the user can fire (i.e cast) the charges as Eldritch Blasts. You can direct the shots at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each shot.

The weapon loses any unspent charges at the end of your next turn.

Thoughts? My goal is to give fulfill a sort of swashbuckler playstyle, you spend a turn loading your shots, and then on your next turn you dash in swinging your sword while using your bonus action weave in shots you charged during your previous turn. Is the +1 too much?
>>
File: templeofthesun.jpg (391KB, 590x397px) Image search: [Google]
templeofthesun.jpg
391KB, 590x397px
Anyone have monster rec's for a Mayan-styled dungeon? From what I've read the common "jungle dungeon" tropes come down to either Yuan Ti or Dinosaurs, neither of which really fit the style I'm going for.

Also know there's a Tamoachan adventure for AD&D, but that's more traps than monsters.
>>
>>53482457
Exactly.
>>
>>53483191
I mean it seems fine but can't Eldritch Blast do that already? The multi-target feature. You can already cast multiple blasts of Eldritch Blast at once at higher levels so I'm not seeing what different the charge feature makes; it's redundant? Or maybe I'm misreading it? The only thing I'm seeing that this does differently than the base spell itself is giving a +1 to the roll?

Kind of reads like a re-flavored way to cast Eldritch Blast, which is fine, but the only difference I'm seeing is to-hit?
>>
>>53483191
But won't every combat then begin with him effectivally action surging with +1 Attack on EB while also having a 10ft. push back?

I mean the item's fine if you give all party members roughly equal stuff. It is very powerful though, plus giving them a unique item at such a low level never really feels special.

If anything I'd hold off on unique items for a key point of the character's development. Finally killing his Father or whatever the character's doing.

>>53483283
Before entering combat he can put charges in it, then on his next turn he could use an action to cast the spell and release a charge as a bonus action.

Basically a 1 round charge up for double EB and a +1 Attack on all EB's he casts.
>>
>>53483283
The purpose to to re-flavor Eldritch Blast, but you missed the load on action fire on bonus action part. I should mention he's playing a homebrew class that's basically an eldritch knight, I didn't mean to type "requires attunement by warlock"

Load as an action, spend your bonus action doing whatever, getting into position, etc.

Next turn, make your melee sword attacks as a an action, and THEN as a bonus action, unleash your EB's on top of that.

>>53483314
He doesn't have access to invocations so I don't have to worry about him stacking power into Eldritch Blast.

If it's too powerful I can just drop the +1, but I figured it gave a tangible difference between casting from a pistol and a normal focus.
>>
>>53483314
>>53483386
Oh, I see. Bonus action to double fire.

Yeah that's pretty strong. I'd hold off for a good plot point as well.

I would might suggest imposing disadvantage when firing twice same turn by using the bonus action feature (so you can unleash a barrage of eldritch blasts at the cost of accuracy). If that's the ability I'd say that the +1 is unnecessary; no need to spoil them. Maybe if they personally pursue or request a +1, but leave that for later perhaps?
>>
>>53483386
>he's playing a homebrew class that's basically an eldritch knight
Why couldn't he just play an Eldritch Knight and use a pistol?

That aside Magic Items like that at level 3 are fine if your group likes feeling like powerful superhumans. If you're playing a more gritty setting then it won't feel right, in something like Forgotten Realms where everyone and their mum's got magical bullshitery going on it's reasonable.

Just make sure they're all pretty balanced for combative use, if everyone else is getting cool magic weapons the Cleric will feel ripped off when he gets something that lets him heal more.
>>
>>53483314
Also the charges dropping at the end of the next turn are there to prevent him from basically having a free action surge, unless the party is planning a surprise attack, the charges are going to drop off before combat starts. He won't exactly be able to load the pistol while potentially hostile enemies are watching him without combat starting either.

My goal is to, most of the time, have him spend his first action of the fight loading his pistol if he wants to use it later. It's supposed to be a sidearm.

I'll also mention this because I feel like I'm fucking up by leaving it out: Once again it's a homebrew class, while similar to Eldritch Knight, uses the warlock spell list instead of the wizard. Which means he already will have access to Eldritch Blast.
>>
Honest question, does anyone else feel like Warlocks are just silly? They always stand out from other players but rarely in a good way.

Mechanics aside their fluff just doesn't feel right for a whole class. I mean a Cleric can serve a lot of the pact options, Paladins can make an Oath to serve most of them or you could even just say "My Wizard got his powers from making a deal with a Fiend". It just feels rather specific compared to other class options, Barbarian does as well because it's basically just an angry fighter.

This is from fluff perspective of course, mechanically it's wildly different but not really for the best.
>>
>>53483532
Disadvantage for multi-attacking as a bonus action is a good route to go if you're worried that it might be too strong, though as the other guy said it depends on what the rest of the crew is getting. You don't want to give gold to one player and copper to another.

A basic melee swing + the blast wouldn't impose disadvantage, but casting any other spells or double-firing with the gun would impose disadvantage if he uses it as a bonus action on the same turn. Gives him the option to blitz at the cost of accuracy.

Also Eldritch Knight is the Fighter class, so doesn't your homebrew have access to the Fighter's extra attack and action surge? That combined with this bonus Eldritch Blast could be pretty crazy later on down the line.
>>
>>53477668
Lower level, toad was fun. I ate, a lot of people...
>>
>>53477856
This.

I'll probably get shredded for this but I use wow raid and dungeon mechanics for inspiration when I make my bbeg encounters.
>>
File: 100543716-1.jpg (290KB, 1536x1050px) Image search: [Google]
100543716-1.jpg
290KB, 1536x1050px
>>53483630
It gets Extra Attack but not action surge.

I figure the fact that he has to spend a full action loading it will keep it in line, and if he gets the opportunity to load it before a fight starts he'll deserve the extra damage, because I get the feeling that won't happen very often in our campaign.

Not sure about disadvantage for multi-firing. That seems harsh and almost seems like the gun gets LESS powerful as the game goes on, not that it just falls off in comparison. I think I'll just drop the +1.
>>
File: pota4.png (335KB, 289x750px) Image search: [Google]
pota4.png
335KB, 289x750px
None of you probably remember or care, but a while ago I was asking around if anyone new what this was an image of. It's found on page 13 of Princes of the Apocalypse.

Turns out, I'm now pretty sure it's a picture of Wyvern Tor. This is a location northeast of the Sword Mountains near Triboar. It's on the DM version of the Dessarin Valley map, but is never actually described in the book.

So... yeah. HAIL SATAN!
>>
So... is the zippity-doo-da Avenger with Tunnelfighting, PAM and Sentinel the only one of his kind?
>>
>>53483601

How the FUCK is "I get my powers from a god {in a different way from a cleric}, a fiend, a something, or a fey, or possibly a sword, possibly involving a book" MORE specific than "I get my powers from books" or "I get my powers from a god?"
>>
>>53482964
>What's the deal with black people? They're not black and they're not people!
>>
>>53483938
>I get my powers from a god
Do Warlocks ever get powers from gods? I thought it was generally beings less powerful than gods, or Great Old Ones; but that's a whole different can of worms
>>
This is a big one. Ran out of space.
>>53454598
Weak as this makes oil, I think the wording means that it only deals the extra 5 damage one time. It doesn't stay potent for the whole minute.

In any case, they couldn't be stacked because you can't stack effects of the same name (unless they say you can.)
>>53454767
BM maneuvers should roll the dice and have an effect. A leap attack maneuver could add the number rolled your jump distance (after halving if you don't have a running start, or letting you jump full length without the running start) and also to the damage of your attack if you hit. Jumping already lets you clear some ground obstacles; use that.
>>53455142
>resistant to Fire and Acid
I think like every demon. No, not demons. Daemons. And incorporeals, and Slaad. And of those, only the Yugoloths are actually immune to any of that, so the worst case is using resisted Fire. I still think there should be an option for Thunderstone to deal Thunder damage, for example.
>>53455546
>Give them an extra slot at 5 or something
If you're actually getting short rests, then converting all the casters slots to spell points for comparison, it's 27 vs 30 at 5, 32 vs 30 at 6, 38 vs 36 at 7, 44 vs 36 at 8, 57 vs 42 at 9, and 64 vs 42 at 10. Then 73 vs 72 at level 11. I think the better invocations in the UA would make up for the gap, and also changing the "you learn a spell, sorta" invocations to once a day cast the spell without spending a spell slot would do wonders. I don't think you can give them an extra spell slot normally any earlier than they already get it.
>>53460160
I know jumpy dragoons is a FF thing, but I still think the dragon knight Ashe is the best. He's basically a Breath of Fire protagonist with a spear.
>>53462815
It doesn't start with "when you expend a resource." It starts with "When you hit a creature"
>>
>>53484011
>SWORN AND BEHOLDEN A warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being, Sometimes the relationship between warlock and patron is like that of a cleric and a deity, though the beings that serve as patrons for warlocks are not gods.
Nope.
>>
Oh look the thread is on page 1 do you think we need a new thread?
>>
>>53484083
I mean, it couldn't hurt.
>>
>>53482964
u mad witeboi?
in all honesty i think sjw cancer is/has already spread to tabletop games as well. notice how all over the dnd website youve got sheboons and "muh strong independent womyn" everywhere
i mean dont get me wrong, a strong barbarian chick get my dick harder than diamond but its still a clear form of cancer nonetheless
>>
>>53484066
Is The Raven Queen not a deity anymore then? I remember she was in 4e, but I don't know if that's changed. I assume it has if the UA patron is anything to go by
>>
>>53484126
Speaking of cancer.

>>53484166
You just answered your own question, div.
>>
>>53479589
>RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>53476249
I'm annoyed about my players at my last session. Some of my players showed up so tired they were literally trying to nap between combats and even turns. Maybe don't say you can play that day if you worked an overnight and barely slept.

I'm not a goddamn slave driver. If you're too tired from work, tell me and we can postpone. when you're not into it you bring the entire group down, and I also feel shitty because it seems like you're not enjoying the thing everyone else is, and I think somethings wrong with the game.
At least everyone else seemed to like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>53483818
>Wyvern Tor
No way. Isn't that the location where the orc raiders are based in Lost Mines of Phandelver? From what I remember when I played that section, it looked nothing like this image.
>>
>>53484475
But... but... I figured it out!
>>
>>53484467
Nice blog how can I unsubscribe?
>>
>>53484475
>>53484495
>Tor
>noun 1. a rocky pinnacle; a peak of a bare or rocky mountain or hill.
FUCK.
>>
>>53484467
Sorry to hear that, Anon. Was it setup through a local gameshop or was it between you and friends at a house?

Pull them aside after a few days pass (give it a while, a couple days before next session) and tell them. They should be cool and listen to what you have to say.
>>
>>53484649
>>53484495
F
>>
20 hours? Just one more to go.
>>53454598
Weak as this makes oil, I think the wording means that it only deals the extra 5 damage one time. It doesn't stay potent for the whole minute.

In any case, they couldn't be stacked because you can't stack effects of the same name.
>>53454767
BM maneuvers should roll the dice and have an effect. A leap attack maneuver could add the number rolled your jump distance (after halving if you don't have a running start, or letting you jump full length without the running start) and also to the damage of your attack if you hit. Jumping already lets you clear some ground obstacles; use that.
>>53455142
>resistant to Fire and Acid
I think like every demon. No, just Shadow Demons. Shadow Demon, Banshee, Ghost, (sensing a pattern here), Grey Ooze, Shadow, all kinds of Slaad (that was the group), Specter, Will-O'-Wisp, Wraith, Yugoloths as a category (so Daemons). That was the other group. And of those, only the Yugoloths are actually immune to any of that, so the worst case is using resisted Fire. I still think there should be an option for Thunderstone to deal Thunder damage, for example.
>>53455546
>Give them an extra slot at 5 or something
If you're actually getting short rests, then converting all the casters slots to spell points for comparison, it's 27 vs 30 at 5, 32 vs 30 at 6, 38 vs 36 at 7, 44 vs 36 at 8, 57 vs 42 at 9, and 64 vs 42 at 10. Then 73 vs 72 at level 11. I think the better invocations in the UA would make up for the gap, and also changing the "you learn a spell, sorta" invocations to once a day cast the spell without spending a spell slot would do wonders. I don't think you can give them an extra spell slot normally any earlier than they already get it.
>>53460160
I know jumpy dragoons is a FF thing, but I still think the dragon knight Ashe is the best. He's basically a Breath of Fire protagonist with a spear.
>>53462815
It doesn't start with "when you expend a resource." It starts with "When you hit a creature"
>>
>>53476702
Kinda like with our group with a player that does nothing but power game and we haven't played for a month because of it. And when we call him out he gets mad throws a fit and rages.
>>
>>53484196
>cancer
fuck off
>>
>>53477298
Half of the active members are college-aged fuckboys who have no clue how the world works, but pretend to have superior knowledge to all politicians in everything, and keep randomly bringing shit up when people have a casual conversation. Fucking millenials need to grow up.
>>
>>53484858
This and I have no clue what anyone is talking about with context.

College was a mistake. As if 18 years of government "education" wasn't enough.
>>
>>53477355
Just finished a session today and our DM's gone off the rails with it again. The Kraken teleported onto our airship after we just up and fucked off and we wound up chunking the ship to bits trying to get it off. Hekaton suicide slammed it into the ocean and got his ass kicked, but our Warlock Wished in some specific way to ensure Hekaton won the fight and made it back to Maelstrom.

So Hekaton's our bro now and he gave our Rogue an Apparatus of Kwalish (because his boat was destroyed by the kraken before the campaign) and I got a Belt of Storm Giant KING Strength so now my Strength is fucking 30 as a Monk. Which is good, because we have a prototype Dwarven mech suit that's basically just a hollowed out golem but there's no way anyone can move it without being ripped as hell.

Next session we'll be running off to fight the Fire Giants because all the other giants decided to blow the fuck out of Neverwinter thanks to our Warlock's OTHER Wish. As a result, Neverwinter is just completely gone. It's dead. Everyone's dead. So we've got to stop the Fire Giants from completing their giant robot, and while we're off doing that (with help from some Lord's Alliance bros) the Storm Giants will be putting the Ordning back together again and raising an army to go fight Imlyerith or however it's spelled, who has merged with a Far Realm deity and WAS going to merge with Olhydra (the Prince of Elemental Evil: Water) before we put a stop to that, too.

So he's just dumping cool shit on us to bring us up to a power level where it's actually possible to fight giant strongholds. We'll probably just do Fire because GIANT ROBOT FIGHT sounds cool and then go on to have a massive battle with Imlyerith.
>>
>>53476249

>new to this thread

wait, wait....
the google image search only shows this thread.
but i have to ask: is that art from 5E?

i get a bad feeling about 5E so i haven't picked up jackshit for it.
>>
>>53485102
Fuck off Homu
>>
>>53485102
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>53476249
Does the UA come out today or tomorrow? Can't remember for the life of me.
>>
>>53485102
Your Googlefu is weak. It's a cropped image but GIS easily picks up the full version.
>>
>>53485115
>>
>>53485102
No it's not official art.
And from the mouth of an actual 5e player, who has played since 2e, 5e is very good and only surpassed by 2e (unless you don't like the insane complexity of the latter).
>>
>>53485163
>tfw you've played 5E with THAC0
>>
>>53485163
Doesn't it have hermaphroditic Elves and an explicit agenda to attract the most toxic elements of tumblr?
>>
what campaign module is most readily suitable for larger parties of roughly 7-8 players? I was thinking of Storm King's Thunder as a good one, since it states a lot of the encounters are meant to be deadly. and it's fairly open ended. Any opinions on this? Any adjustments I should make to SKT or other modules to compensate for the size difference?
>>
>>53485191
>he was seriously worried about playing a tabletop RPG if it had art of a black character in a book
Save everyone here, yourself included, some time and just fuck off. You obviously can't function well enough in meatspace to find a game to begin with.
>>
>>53485191
To the last part about as much as anything else these days
>>
>>53485221
Fuck off Homu
>>
>>53485163
>not better enjoying the obviously superior Rules Cyclopedia edition.

AD&D is a good runner up though.
>>
File: 1495162273616.png (151KB, 448x537px) Image search: [Google]
1495162273616.png
151KB, 448x537px
>>53485161
I want to sexually touch Homu
>>
>>53485191
I haven't seen anything about it whatsoever in the phb, mm, dmg, or tftyp. I recall one section in the phb saying you don't have to play a guy if you're a guy, or a girl if you're a girl.
>>
>>53485231
Who the fuck is Homu and make me fuck boy
>>
>>53485254
Fuck off Gatchan
>>
>>53485191
Not to my knowledge, you shouldn't browse dandwiki.
>>
>>53485263
Are these discord names? Since you're so familiar with them how about going back there
>>
File: GHEYELF.png (199KB, 457x527px)
GHEYELF.png
199KB, 457x527px
>>53485191
It says the same thing AD&D 1e says about an elven god. Then says you can play a character with a peepee and a girl hole at the same time if you want.

That's it.
>>
>>53485295
Fuck off Virt
>>
>>53485345
>anyone I dislike is Virt
Virt's dead, Jim.
>>
>>53485366
Fuck off Boxxy
>>
>>53483236
>be one of the best classes in the entire game
>some guy calls you a dumb hippie who rolls round in the mud all day
>forgot that I can turn into a mammoth and literally crush him
>>
>>53485375
Fuck off Hiroshimoot.
>>
>>53485366
I've heard if his name is said 3+ times in a thread, he rises from the grave for one more night of shitposting.
>>
>>53485386
>ctrl+f
>three matches found
shit
>>
>Want to make a backup character in case I die next session
>Don't want to risk a cool UA coming out after I make the character

Fuck, I guess I'll have to wait to see what cool shit I can make with a Kobold.
>>
>>53485385
>hiroshimoot
>not m00two
>not g00k
>>
File: itsYV.png (8KB, 167x233px) Image search: [Google]
itsYV.png
8KB, 167x233px
>>53485263
Can screw :) be a part of this party?
>>
Question - On page 11 of OotA in the "Velkynvelve: General Feature" sidebar under "sound" t mentions "...negating the cave's tendency to amplify and carry sounds. Checks made to hear things in the cavern are made normally." Is this saying that in caverns that perception checks receive some flat bonus, or is it just saying that the waterfall isn't loud enough to drown out sound, ie not overboard the volume and make it easier to sneak out?
>>
Are there any good multiclass options for a sorcerer?
>>
>>53485457
Fuck off Homu
>>
>>53485460
Warlock and paladin are both fine.
>>
>Spear of The Old Ones
>This strange mystical spear looks strange to the naked eye. Only a Warlock blessed by the old ones truly see the spear for what it is. To the uninitiated, it looks like a wooden spear, but it feels soft and strangely flexible, far from fitting a spear.
>Attunement grants proficiency in the spear, and let's a Warlock use charisma as attack and damage modifier. When attacking normally, each attack gets added the damage of a single eldritch blast on top of the weapon damage, with all desired modifiers.
>When Thrown with the Eldritch spear Invocation, the spear morphs during flight, seemingly splitting up and seeking out its targets.
>throwing range is twice the normal range for a regular spear. The spear morphs into the Eldritch blast cantrip, adding the spears damage to the damage of the spell. Attacking with this with multiple attacks, will double the amount of eldritch blast hits you make.
>All attacks count as a +3 magic item
Thoughts on this?

High level party (14) and tye Warlock has fallen off significantly. He is a old one Bladelock who initially switched a lot between weapons, before settling on just using eldritch blast like everyone else. I got a good opportunity to give him some good stuff from his GoO patron.
>>
>>53485460
Paladin = smite4life

Warlock = twinned eldritch blast
>>
>>53483818
>>53484475
>>53484791
Any idea what it is, then?
>>
>>53485606
you cant twin eb but you can quicken it
>>53485592
how do you attack multiple times by throwing the spear if you dont have it anymore since you threw it?
>>
>>53485606
>>53485620
Yup, got the Metamagics wrong.
>>
>>53485620
>how do you attack multiple times by throwing the spear if you dont have it anymore since you threw it?
Because when you take the attack action with additional attacks, you don't make several attacks, you double the amount of hits you roll for with eldritch blast. Forgot to add ability though
>As a Bonus action, the spear can rematerialize in the hand of the Warlock, ignoring anything that would prevent it from doing so.
>>
>>53485620
>>53485630
Not him, but you can until level 5, can't you?
>>
Constitution is 14 (+2)
Proficiency is +2

On level up do I get a CON bonus of +2 or +4 (with proficiency) added to my roll?
>>
>>53485761
for health
>>
>>53485761
What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>53485761
>>53485775
You get the +2 proficiency isn't added in this case
>>
>>53485783
thanks thought so
>>
>>53485761
>>53485775
Are you proficiency in "health increase"?

Since you are probably too dense to understand that anyway: No. Of course you dont.
>>
>>53485781
I was asking about the bureaucratic influence of medieval schnitzel salesmen moving into the bungalow and committing foul atrocities by the merits of their virtuous deeds.
>>
>>53485685
No I mean like, if you throw a weapon, then you've /thrown/ the weapon. It's not in your hand anymore, so you can't continue attacking with that same weapon.
A Fighter can't use Extra Attack to throw the same dagger four times because after the first time it was thrown it's not in his hand anymore.
What does
>Attacking with this with multiple attacks, will double the amount of eldritch blast hits you make.
mean?

It looks like the weapon normally deals 1d6+3+MOD damage plus 1d10+MOD for the eldritch blast on top, but the problem is that Bladelocks normally only get one iteration of extra attack so in melee he'd deal 2d6+6+(MOD*2)+2d10+(MOD*2).
If he just sticks to Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast, he'll deal 4d10+(MOD*4), which is still more damage than this magic item gives and lets him stay at range.
Does the double amount of eldritch blast hits you make part mean that since the Warock has 3 lasers with his Eldritch Blast, using the spear in melee will double his laser hits and actually deal 2d6+6+(MOD*2)+6d10+(MOD*6)?
>>
>>53485813
The spear damage is under the assumption that it's held in one hand, replace the d6's with d8's if its two-handed of course.
>>
>>53485803
Yes.
>>
It's almost certainly Wyvern Tor.
>>
>>53485846
I think so too, but why do you think so?
>>
>>53485800
I was trying to think of something witty and snappy to reply back with, something along the lines of an insult, but I came up with nothing.

Still felt you deserved a reply though I am mighty sore from that harshly typed lashing my good sir.

>>53485835
I hate those amphibious vertebrates wanking in the sewer water that gets recycled through the gnome artificer constructs that fuel our communal society with drink and bathe.
>>
>>53481001
What benefits do you have for master-craft weapons?
>>
>>53485813
It means that you ignore the fact that you can technically only throw it once, and instead just double the amount of hits you roll for when you throw it. So if you can make 2 attacks, you effectively "throw" EB*2 with the spear damage added.

This isn't rocket science.
>>
>>53485881
For what purpose?
>>
>>53485895
>When Thrown with the Eldritch spear Invocation, the spear morphs during flight, seemingly splitting up and seeking out its targets.
This part made that really unclear.
>>
>>53485921
I'unno.
>>
>>53485606
bladelocks can do both

>>53485717
yes
>>
>>53485872
First, the name:
>Tor: (n) A rocky peak or hill.

Second, the description for Wyvern Tor in LMOP describes it as a "crag" that is "easily visible from twenty miles away"
>Crag: (n) A steep rugged mass of rock projecting upward or outward.

Third, if you look at that image there are clearly spikes and caverns on the underside of the fortification, perfect for wyverns to land on and nest inside.

Fourth, the location of the image in the book is dead smack in the middle of the section on Adventure Hooks. A few pages later (p17, Starting the Adventure) is a small blurb on how to hook from LMoP (which has quest near, but not inside, Wyvern Tor) to PotA.

Fifth, the only other locations in PotA that are even remotely tower-like are Feathergale Spire and Scarlet Moon Hall - both of which look nothing like that image. Half of PotA takes place underground anyways. Which begs the question - if it's not Wyvern Tor, what else could it possibly be?
>>
>>53486029
The only thing that bugs me is that in the description in LMoP there's no mention of any man-made structures, just that it was a wyvern nest and has a cave.
>>
File: 1494451220736.png (623KB, 1280x1246px) Image search: [Google]
1494451220736.png
623KB, 1280x1246px
Should I be a Kobold Gunsmith or a Kobold Thief?
>>
>>53486084
>Playing a disgusting little dog-dragon kobold.
absolutelydisgusting.jpg
>>
I want to give as part of a magic item, the power to transform yourself into a treant once per day, with a couple of changes, i.e. without the Animate Trees action. But since this is VERY powerful, I also wanted to add some kind of drawback to using this power, so that they don't use it every single day.

What I've thought is either make it require your concentration, or make it so that even after turning back into a humanoid you're still vulnerable to fire for 24 hours. Which should I do? Is there a better idea?
>>
I'm thinking of making an Assassin 3/Cleric X. I just realised the Assassinate doesn't require a weapon attack, so it would work fine with something like Cause Wounds.

If this a good idea or should I just be an Assassin/Sorcerer for quickened BB/GFB criticals?
>>
File: kobold dog noses.png (459KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
kobold dog noses.png
459KB, 500x490px
>>53486097
>>
File: 1488442689251.png (382KB, 1145x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1488442689251.png
382KB, 1145x1375px
>>53486084
Gunsmith if you flavor it as a giant cannon.

Otherwise Thief
>>
>>53486084
Gunsmith
>>
Is Storm King's Thunder a good pick for an above-average party? I'm thinking from 7-8 players. The module intro makes it sound pretty open ended and fighting giants seems like something to do in large groups. Any suggestions as to any changes I should make for the module. Should I consider a different module entirely? What are your opinions?
>>
Is there any rule for foraging? I want get my hands on some poison for my ranger.
>>
>>53486235
There are rules in the DMG for foraging poison from venomous creatures.
>>
>>53486217
Might be worthwhile with a larger group.

Generally not a fan of SKT, so id still probably consider another campaign. You will have to tweak the difficulty no matter what you do, since everything assumes 4 man parties
>>
>>53486257
>>53486257
>>53486257
When you're ready. "Previous Thread" link is a bit busted.
>>
if the next thread image is another black person it's either sjw bullshit or someone not being able to control themselves with their fetish
>>
>>53486281
New thread!
>>
>>53486270

THIS ONE'S FIRST
>>
>>53486244
No shroom, moss, or herb?
>>
>>53486292
Oh boy, next time is gonna be a mess.
>>
File: 1482796559372.jpg (102KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1482796559372.jpg
102KB, 350x350px
>>53485412
Stop posting about me.
>>
>>53477337

Revenant Mystic who fancies himself a philosopher.
>>
>>53483235
I'd look up some mayan mythology and then use existing monsters as templates to create them to populate the dungeon. Stats are just stats, so if you present them in a different way to your players they'll feel a lot different. You can make a bad dude who's got ogre stats that feels nothing like an ogre if you swing it right.

I'd say that wet undead would probably be right in keeping with the theme, since the underworld was generally viewed as a water-filled limestone cavern by many central American cultures. Give them elaborate funerary masks and such. Raid your library's National Geographic collection (or look online) for lots of inspiration for the funerary goods and general appearance.

I'd also go with things like jaguar warriors and generally dudes channeling the spirits of bloody spirits, which you could stat our at your convenience.

You could also go the 'knowledge older than the world' route, which would let otherworldly horrible gribblies in, if you'd like.
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.