[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is GURPS a good system for wilderness survival?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Is GURPS a good system for wilderness survival?
>>
>>53380321
>Is GURPS a good system
No
>>
File: Deer.jpg (54KB, 366x427px) Image search: [Google]
Deer.jpg
54KB, 366x427px
>>53380321
The first GURPS campaign we did was Ice Age. Our tribe was destroyed by wendigo like monsters, and we three survivors had to make our way to a grand summit to warn some other tribes.

We fought nature, we fought spirits (poorly), and we fought against man. Survival was tough, and supplies were limited. But it was pretty fun
>>
>>53380493
How did your GM track food/weight? I've always wanted to do a survival campaign but I'm worried that tracking things is too fiddly.
>>
>>53380493
sounds pretty cool
>>
GURPS requires math
>>
>>53380493
That sounds like an awesome campaign.
>>
>>53386732

so does pathfinder and dnd and I don't see people complaining about those.
>>
>>53380321
It's great. Dungeon Fantasy Wilderness Adventures has pretty much everything you need for an outdoors campaign. There's a Pyramid issue (think Dragon Magazine but with actual quality control), #3/95 - Overland Adventures that has an article on jungles if you need those.
>>
>>53387886
After the End also has new survival rules. I can't remember if it's the first or second though.
There's stuff like well, survival, gathering food, tracking long term fatigue you could incur from missing meals and detailed hunting rules, dealing with the cold and heat, etc.
>>
>>53388332
New fatigue rules are in AtE1 because that's the book for players making characters and the new rules significantly impact chargen.

The rest is in AtE2 because AtE2 is about running the game.
>>
>>53387521
But it hard maths!!!
>>
File: 1494987101508.gif (217KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1494987101508.gif
217KB, 450x450px
>>53380321
It runs fine if you can actually get a game running.

But it requires a large amount of GM work and is incredibly intimidating because of it's more of a toolkit than a proper system.

But that lack of accessibility and because it's no longer the only generic system in town anymore means it's something only grognards will run.
>>
>>53380321
>is GURPS

Yes. It's what you make it. Say it with me: GENERIC-UNIVERSAL-ROLE-PLAYING-SYSTEM.
>>
>>53387886
Got a PDF of Dungeon Fantasy Wilderness Adventures you're willing to share?
>>
>>53393080
>>53341259 OP ``image'' has it. You'll find it under GURPS 4th -> Dungeon Fantasy. After the End, as >>53388332 said, is a good read as well for survival rules.
>>
>>53382022
GM kinda did it on the fly. Killing an elk could feed the three of us, and fresh water only became difficult to find when we were in the badlands. The main mechanic of the game was that we were being chased by the "Mountain-beasts". We were without food several times because of those things. Making camp was important, keeping watch kept us on edge. Travelling through the cannibal lands kept us without sleep quite often. You ever repair a sledge while a crazed cannibal is trying to gnaw your face off?

Great for cardio, actually.

At one point one of us even got sick. The most nerve wracking part of that was that we remaining two gathered reagents for the apprentice shaman to pull the bad spirits from him.

I was glad when that was over.

More directly, None of us ever felt that managing our supplies was too difficult. Sometimes looking at the spreadsheet we kept our sledge's inventory and seeing it empty added to the tension.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.