[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 35

File: gurps gen op.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gurps gen op.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Previous thread >>53317312

Today's Random Question:
Is it worth it to use the 3e rules for vehicles, or do the modern rules work well enough and 3e rules are just for true grognards?

Latest Issue of Pyramid
https://mega.nz/#!OkUWxKhY!DgC6dAsQc9WdNt8xx9lTFmAORQ9PI_VIYnazVzD_A9g
>>
File: 1494866716807.jpg (85KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
1494866716807.jpg
85KB, 1024x812px
when the FUCK are we getting vehicles 4e

I have so many campaign ideas waiting for it
>>
>>53341259
I heard it's pretty hard to convert, but I never tried. Personally my most wanted is a game where he players are crewmen on a Panzer IV, but I want to wait until a more complete vehicles book comes out for customization and 'boss' tanks.
>>
By Krommanswer: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1441992&postcount=10
If i have amidexterity [5] and buy-off DWA [5] and 8 arms [60], i can make 8 one-handed attacks per attack maneuver?
>>
>>53341282
The week before 5e
>>
Is there a PDF of combat/tasks? I'm trying to do a homebrew campaign.
>>
>>53341773
At this rate I would buy it. I don't even know if they're working on it.
>>
Does Cosmic: Irresistible Attack ignore Injury Tolerance the same way it ignores Damage Resistance?
>>
>>53342397
No. It only ignores defenses. Injury tolerance is not a defense.
>>
>>53342397
>>53342754

Injury tolerance generally describes how something is made, it's not really something you can ignore or bypass. A solid block of material is always going to be harder to meaningfully damage then a live body.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (128KB, 492x672px)
Capture.jpg
128KB, 492x672px
>>53342754
>>53342892
Pic related would suggest otherwise, though.
>>
>>53343082
That's not in the basic set that I recall, and thusly not in the description for Irresistible Attack. I go off what is written, not what is suggested.

Irresistible attack. Your attack does
negate the target’s protection; e.g., an
Innate Attack that ignores DR, or
Mind Control that ignores Mind
Shield. The target may still attempt an
active defense against the attack, if
applicable. You cannot combine this
enhancement with other “penetration
modifiers,” such as Follow-Up
(p. 105). +300%.

It ignores damage resistances such as DR, it doesn't change the composition of the target. Your example only mentions damage done. It doesn't say that the damage is not reduced by target composition. Just because your attack does 1d damage and triple incendiary doesn't guarantee that your target takes the full damage.
>>
>>53343082
Burning damage isn't generally effected by Injury Tolerance in any case.
>>
How would you guys run an 80's action movie type of game, like what splat books?
>>
>>53344013
Action! High Tech, maybe some Gun-Fu and Martial Arts. Depends on which kind of action movie.

I mean, if you're going Robocop, Terminator, or Aliens that's gonna go into Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech too.
>>
Does GURPS have rules for running a character with Diabetes?
>>
>>53344052
I was thinking more commando tier. You know, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
>>
>>53344184
Dependency: insulin
Short lifespan, mitigator:insulin
>>
2d+2 pi or 2d pi+, /tg/?
>>
File: handgun calibres.jpg (60KB, 461x805px) Image search: [Google]
handgun calibres.jpg
60KB, 461x805px
>>53346052
3d-1 pi+
>>
>>53344184
There's this write-up of it on RPK's site.

http://www.mygurps.com/r_diabetes.html?p=ihradmtgvo&v=0
>>
What would be a good statline for a World War One veteran (in the 1920s while he's still young)
>>
My friend Pedro has a question,

Is there a community of Grognards who play 3e and din't care if you have PDF's?
>>
>>53346052
Luger's more expensive and more finicky. I'd take the colt in the early 20th century.

Also, metagame as fuck but 2d pi+ is better if you run into zombies or something.
>>
>>53348089

ST 11, DX 11, HT 12, IQ 10

Basic Speed 6(+.25), Dodge 9
Move 6
HP 11

Guns (Rifle, TL 6) at SL 13, Brawling at SL 12, Solider (TL 6) at SL 12, Spear at SL 12 for bayonet use.

This reflects a relatively common riflemen. Not exceptional, but quite a excellent, healthy solider.

Fearless, Combat Reflexes, higher skills, things like Axe/Mace for killing people with entrenching tools or shotgun skills, Forward Observer, First Aid, Resistant to Disease could be nice and reflect a more elite/heroic solider.
>>
File: beg252-s-f1-h.jpg (48KB, 1000x398px)
beg252-s-f1-h.jpg
48KB, 1000x398px
>>53348358
What about 2d pi+ vs 3d-1 pi? (This version is -3 bulk instead of -2 bulk like a normal length luger, and weights 0.4lbs more. The stock can be detached or attached in three seconds, and adds +1 Acc and -1 Bulk, and the 32 round mag adds -1 to the malf rating, but it can still use standard 8 round mags as well)
>>
File: 1491072542670.jpg (84KB, 813x1375px)
1491072542670.jpg
84KB, 813x1375px
Grimwyrd happened today!

The party fought hard to slay the Darkness-posessed warlock necromancer, and in the fray the tainted Lord Marshall Geofferson fell to a redstone want malfunction! (Brought about by Syviis shooting him in the wand) In the aftermath, Deloth-Ainur the demon monk slunk away in her shadowform. The Oakway guard stood ready on the sidelines, not ready to test themselves against mad wizards and THE PARTY

Roderick immediately set to clear the good name of The Heroes of The South; he called an immediate council of the nobles in tow, the minordomo adjudicating. The rest of the party went about tossing the evil elven guest house, searching for clues.

As the good knight postulated their innocence (and double treason cancelling out, cuz they won) the Beastman Gray and Elf Syviis went about with their newfound spirit and magic senses.

They found a butt load of evil spirits and magic

Once they we're done exorcizing the room, and sweeping up the messy human remains, they had a solid magic fingerprint evidence against the evil work being done here. At that same time, Roderick was suggesting that the numerous Scorned and Ro-Haern be conscripted uner one banner of protection, which he would lead, and use as an army to root out the evil forces working against the kingdom.

At the very least, this would force the hand of whoever is working against them...

The council agreed, and papers to be drawn up that very moment forming the Protectorate of the South
>>
>>53348741
>Stupid sexy elves

I still say that fae sluts handing out swords is no way to base a system of government.
>>
>>53341391
For the specific weapon you bought the DWA technique up for, yes.

>>53341854
What's "combat/tasks," exactly? What are you looking for?

>>53345336
Action! 1 & 2 fit the bill, and High-Tech as a gear catalog. You'll also want to use Martial Arts' Grab & Smash! rules.
>>
I'm trying to set things up for a setting where there is potentially a lot of spirit/ghost shenanigans and nasty entities that want to injure/devour/enslave your soul or rip it out of your body so they can take up residence.

The problem is I'm less into ideas where your spiritual well-being is just represented by stuff like Will or mechanics like corruption or stability; I want astral travel shenanigans, disembodied people becoming Astral Entities and having to do ghost stuff to get back in their bodies or do stuff in the Astral.

I'm wondering how to handle it; basically everyone would become an Astral Entity version of themselves upon death, or upon being shunted out of their body. But that has me wondering how they might get shunted out in the first place aside from Death, or how to handle abilities that only function while they are an astral entity or other spirit - and how those would change if they die and just become a full-blown spirit (if they get limitations on the abilities so that it only functions while a ghost, do they have to pay unspent points to keep them when they lose their body?)

There's also the problem of how stats interact - I don't see why injury to the body should necessarily harm the soul and vice versa, so this is almost more like everyone just has a separate character sheet or Ally/Puppet that represents their soul, and not having one usually makes you catatonic and mindless.

It's annoying because I don't want it to be too complicated, but I'm also not a fan of most of the existing methods.
>>
>>53351157
Give them an extra form that's incorporeal.
>>
>>53351157
Unkillable 3 (Mortal, -20%) for going ghost on death, I think, or treat everyone as possessing a puppet and they get sent to the shadow realm when that puppet dies, or whatever. They won't need to pay unspent points to keep them, probably. You can always just rule that way to save yourself from headaches.
>>
>>53351157

Let's look at it from a story perspective. You want people to go astral because it creates a lot of interesting story possibility. Let's toy with that..

>>53351245
Unkillable with a special requirement that you get back to your body could be an interesting one. Perhaps a spell, magic, ect makes some people very resistant to death.. but when 'killed' their soul/anima is driven from the body and has to fight it's way back, and when the body is Empty like this anyone else might move in and use it.

You could play with this more. Perhaps give players very powerful abilities that they can use only if they abandon their physical bodies and become astral. Their powerful ghost forms can do battle with other astral threats, perform magic a human body couldn't survive, walk though walls, ect.

But again, their body is Empty and they need to protect it.

>>53351238
>>53351245

You could have a soul/ghost/astral form be another character with it's own stats and point total. Injury and some advantages don't carry over, but otherwise things like IQ and skills remain consistent across them.
>>
>>53351853
I was sorta leaning towards just having everyone get an extra character which is their soul, usually as an Astral Entity.

But then I was having trouble thinking about how abilities from the main body should carry over and vice versa where there is overlap. It would get somewhat complicated in book-keeping and managing point totals during creation to figure out what carries over and what doesn't. I mean, technically if the body basically has IQ 0 if there is no soul piloting it, would you even list the IQ score on the body? Stuff like that, where having two functional characters can make things a bit of a mess.

I was messing around with an HP analogue for the connection between the body and soul for hostile entities to damage and force the link to be broken or compromised. It would be priced like HP and you could damage it with a modifier on Fatigue Attack or through a modifier on Leech; as your ratio of current:max goes down, you'd start to suffer mental disadvantages and penalties until your connection was shut down - in which case the soul is stuck near the body but can't operate it in most cases - or severed, in which case the body is usually alive but catatonic and the soul can no longer enter it - functionally similar to just dying. Psychopomps would be on their way to collect and all.
>>
>>53348358
On the other hand the colt only does extra damage on a torso hit and if the target has more then 2 DR on the easiest part of the body to armor then the math favors the luger, and torso armor is possible in any setting unlike zombies.

My two cents, regardless though GURPS has 9mm and .45 acp balanced extreamly well while maintaining a high degree of realism.
>>
File: 15706979_p0.jpg (1MB, 1000x1480px)
15706979_p0.jpg
1MB, 1000x1480px
>>53348741
That feel when you just wanted your due pay and ended up as leaders of your own army instead.
>>
>>53348717
Here's the formula for that luger vs the colt.

generic
>HP-(DMG-DR)*DM

Luger
>HP-(10-DR)*1

Colt
>HP-(7-DR)*1.5

Assuming the targets are naked DR = 0, if they're undead the DM (which stands for damage modifier) becomes 0.33, and 0.5 respectively. If your attacking the vitals the the DM becomes 3.

You getting me smalls or is this too much math for you? Legit question I really like doing math and geeking out with GURPS crunch.
>>
File: 1428654817821.jpg (752KB, 1152x1600px)
1428654817821.jpg
752KB, 1152x1600px
>>53352346
Huh..

So vs a dead guy it's just 3.5 vs 3.33 damage if you shoot ball ammo.

You've got HP ammo though. Given zombies distinct lack of body armor most of the time this takes you to 5 damage for the .45. It's actively counterproductive for the 9mm, taking it from 3.33 damage to 3.

>>53352270

You've gone full Germanic Goth in the late Empire?
>>
Anyone able to share Hot Spots: The Silk Road?

If not, I'll probably pick it up. I'm a sucker for GURPS historical stuff and it's an interesting basis for a campaign.
>>
>>53354265
Never mind, I decided that I liked the look of it enough to buy it regardless. Added to the archive.

https://mega.nz/#!q9tGlS4Y!ckTmytBaK4eU8f3wUkq-k58Fmij4Js6cd1-DiqFsAZs
>>
So in terms of skill number what is a decent rank to have in a particular skill?

A 10 is a 50/50 chance of success right under normal circumstances, right?

So would like a rank 12-14 be decently proficient at it?
>>
>>53354678
Thanks

>>53353942

Some math problem here, you apply the DR before the wounding modifier.

So 9mm hollowpoint deals an average of (9 base) - (2 DR for 0.5 pen, gives the target 1 'free' DR that is doubled) then (x.5) for wounding of pi+ vs Injury Tolerance (Unliveing) for a final of 3.5 damage vs a target with no or 1 DR and Injury Tolerance Unliveing.

.45 ACP hits for (7 base) then - (2 for DR) and (*1 for pi++ vs ded guy) and a final damage of 5.

So 45 or 9mm vs dead guys has 45 winning pretty well. High power rounds helps the colt more, with 8 base damage turning into 6 wounding. The nine gets less for +1 to base damage, going from 3.5 to 4.25 damage*

*Though I'm not sure here without finding my copy of high tech what +10% damage does to 9mm's 2d+2 damage. I THINK this just makes 9mm deal 3d, increasing damage from 9 average to 10.5 average.
>>
>>53359228
GURPS odds aren't linear, so if you have a skill that isn't likely to take penalties then a modest level is perfect for most use.

Also note that in GURPS 'normal' circumstances are the stressful conditions of life or death, high stakes uses of a skill. Typical low stress conditions where you can take your time give a significant bonus.

GURPS skill levels and chance to succeed.

3 | 0.5%
4 | 1.9%
5 | 4.6%
6 | 9.3%
7 | 16.2%
8 | 25.9%
9 | 37.5%
10 | 50.0%
11 | 62.5%
12 | 74.1%
13 | 83.8%
14 | 90.7%
15 | 95.4%
16 | 98.1%

So I'd say that any skill that you expect to count on for serious problem solving should be ~ 13. Combat skills and skills that often face serious penalties should be in the 15 range if you can afford it, but you can make do with lower.

In close combat, you typically want to use Deceptive Attack to lower the target's chance to defend if your final SL for the attack would be 15+
>>
>>53359228
For a PC, I'd expect at least a 14 in anything they are meant to be actually good at. More than 16 is usually overkill except for skills which you expect to take serious penalties to, like combat skills, imbuements or anything you can perform amazing feats at.

NPCs can typically get away with one or two levels lower.
>>
So gurpsgen I want to make a immortal sci-fi race as point effective as possible
Any way to do this?
>>
>>53361658
>Immortal
What sort of immortal?
>>
>>53362022
The completely unkillible kind
>>
>>53361658
>Drone of the All-Brain

You are a near mindless drone of the All-Brain. In the likely event of your death you will be replaced quickly and without a care by the All-Brain's birthing pools. Everything you experience is telepathically transmitted to the All Brain. All of your commands return via the same path.

>Reduced IQ: 4 (-80 points)
>Slave Mentality (-40 points)
>Telecommunication (Racial, Telesend and Sensie, 48 points)

Total is -72 points. As long as the All-Brain endures the rest of the race is functionally immortal, though of no more note then an individual skin cell on your foot is to you.

Note that Telepathy isn't Secure and has no FTL. Without a relay nearby to provide faster then light speed communication the drones will function very poorly at long distances, and any telepath can give them orders.
>>
>>53362076
>Unkillable 2/3
Dies but always gets better; with enough Regeneration, they can get better very quickly to the point that their "death" is more like "got stunned."
>Immunity to Metabolic Hazards + Unaging
Can only die a violent death; old age and infirmity are strangers to them
>Insubstantiality
Can't get killed if you can't get hit (unless the person trying to hit you is also the same sort of Insubstantial).
>Ludicrous DR
You will never reach infinite DR, but you may be able to get enough that you're immune to whatever the setting can throw at you; DR 30 is enough in a low-tech setting because few things surpass 5d damage, but the required DR increases exponentially from there.

The first two together are probably your best bet.
>>
>>53362076
For 20 points you can get Unkillable 2 with -80% in limitations. If you don't take an Achilles Heel you literally cannot die, only get trapped for a while. Hindrances and Triggers are good for this.

This creates a race that can't be KILLED. They still need Unageing if you want them to be forever. They also will become inactive if deprived of food, air or water.
>>
You know what's fun
The paraplegic disadvantage is -80!!! points it also lets you reduce st and dx by 4, this gives you a grand total of -200!!!
You can take the disadvantage along with the telekensis advantage. This lets you do al kinds of fun stuff

For example
Telekinesis 20 gives you a basic lift of 80 it also costs only 100 points

This lets you lift yourself as a medium load if you weigh 200 pounds
An average person with st 6 weighs anywhere from 60 pounds to 120 pounds
So if you put your weigh at 60 pounds you can lift yourself around at no encumbrance

You will be a little bit useless in combat but you can move around by yourself and do telekinesis karate.
Cool huh
>>
>>53363812
Quadriplegic Sorry
>>
>>53363812
Sounds like that's one of many reasons campaign disadvantages are capped between -25 and -50 points.
>>
>>53362795
Instead of Damage Resistance, consider Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) from Powers, which is much more cost-effective at high levels.

For example, Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 100; Cosmic: Rounds Down, +50%) costs 450 points, whereas 450 points of Damage Resistance would only buy 90 levels.
>>
>>53364159
Oh come on
Playing a telekinetic Quadriplegic would be really cool

They couldn't do anything for years and so slowly developed telekenesis.

Especially if they float around in a bed or chair professor x style.
>>
>>53364200
Yeah, except not all settings support telekinesis. Why are you even trying to convince me? Are you that 100pts in rifles faggot?
>>
File: C_VeNOiXkAE1s4D.jpg (214KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
C_VeNOiXkAE1s4D.jpg
214KB, 1200x800px
>>53364200
>>53363812

Note that reducing DX in this build is a Bad Idea. TK replaces your ST, but you still need DX to use DX based skills though TK.
>>
>>53364330
Nah
Just thought it would be a cool character
That's all
>>
>>53364406
Yea
I slowly realized that after thinking about it for a while
>>
File: ewlyESB.jpg (108KB, 1000x733px) Image search: [Google]
ewlyESB.jpg
108KB, 1000x733px
>>53364330
Easy friend, it's acutely a fun build that makes logical sense. In a lot of games you'd need to wave the normal limit on disadvantages for that character and I'd really pull the player aside and make sure they knew that taking that build means they will sooner or later face someone with a counter TK/Anti-Psi ability that will force them to get very creative to survive and succeeded.

Being forced to drag themselves forward with their hands because there's a psi-jammier nearby and trying to hide from hunters would be a great scene, and you could build it to a great climax where they get their abilities back.

The "100 in rifles" guy is just a idiot.
>>
>>53364493
Quadriplegics don't -have- hands, anon. And the Paraplegic disad isn't worth -80 points.
>>
>>53364551
You take some allies if you have any points left
If you take Quadriplegic and reduce st by 4 you have -120
You make it pyskic and visible for a -30% modifier making the telekinesis 70 points, this leaves you with 50 points
You can use this to make allies that help you out
2(50%) * 4 *6 = 48 points or 10 allies always with you with 50% of your points

Just my idea
>>
>>53364655
Fucks sake
Ever heard of a point crock?
>>
>>53364825
Not that guy, but what's a point crock?
>>
File: 1416435867386.jpg (47KB, 499x750px)
1416435867386.jpg
47KB, 499x750px
>>53364938
A meaningless disadvantage, taken only to provide bonus points. Like taking Nightmares on a character that never sleeps, or (in many people's opinions) many minor mental disadvantages with Self Control 15 where it's extremely rare for them to take effect.

Most 'hard' examples of this are technically not rules kosher, or would require you take the disadvantage with whatever you have that makes it pointless reduce the value by 80% as a mitigation.
>>
>>53365562
Oh so that's the term for it. S'why I hate games with more than -25 points of disadvantages.
>>
>>53341259
So what makes GURPS addicting versus other game systems?
>>
>>53365562
Really tho,
It's in no ways meaningless being a quadriplegic is in no ways meaningless, as it

1. Can leave you completely stranded, you may be a really strong telekinetic, but you are still a human with no working anythings.

2. It is a defining character moment, if you want a good telekinetic your character would have to be a brawler/boxer/martial artist that got in a car reck and then slowly awakened his psykic abilities

It's a lot better character than most
>>
>>53365764
For me, extreme flexibility/customization potential, and a profoundly solid foundation. I can tinker with it endlessly and the system still holds up as good as it would for a less customized game.
>>
>>53365764
It is a rules heavy system, that happens to be playable(unlike most d&d's)
It's also very versatile and allows me to make any characters I want to make.
>>
>>53365811
Ah okay, thanks.
>>
>>53365764
Bottomless rabbit hole. Between all the optional rules, variant systems, banned/allowed traits, and campaign switches, there are always new things to make and theorycraft.
>>
File: 1478223752484.jpg (2MB, 2714x2604px) Image search: [Google]
1478223752484.jpg
2MB, 2714x2604px
>>53365764
Combat's fucking brutal. Beating enemies with one or two really good hits and knowing if you make a mistake or get unlucky they could take you down the same way.

Characters, even characters made to do more or less the same job, will be quite different. It's always fun to see what someone else came up with.
>>
Speaking of quadriplegics how exactly would you stat a brain in a jar that they live can only communicate and perceive the outside world via a video transmitter and receiver?
>>
>>53367592
As a robot with an achilles heel or other vulnerability.

If you're not plugged into something, you're not really a character.
>>
File: 1.jpg (14KB, 750x280px)
1.jpg
14KB, 750x280px
>>53366027
>Faussar-type weapon
>Don't know WTF that is
>Googleing

Holy shit, that is awesome. How would you stat that in GURPS?
>>
>>53367592

Stat the brain as a AI with very specialized hardware and few of the normal AI traits and buy bodies/interfaces.
>>
>>53341282
>4e vehicles
>hey you wanna make car?
>good but first lets talk about the string theory
>>
>>53367711
>...I'm listening.
>>
>>53367769
>so kid what do you know about theorical physics and math?
>and you have solid works: GURPS instlled right?
>>
>>53367610
Skill Two Handed Sword
Weight: 6 pounds (GURPS Weight. IRL, 4 pounds, with GURPS weight assuming a 2 pound sheath/case)

Swinging = Damage :Swing + 2 Cut, Reach: 2, 1, ST: 11t, Cost 600
Thrusting = Damage Thrust + 2 IMP, Reach 2

This makes a Fussart/Faussar a poor man's greatsword.
>>
In practical terms, how likely is a Malf-15 firearm to be a large liability in combat?
>>
>>53368734

About 4.6% of the time you attack. So roughly the same as a crit fail in D&D. If you're firing only a few times a turn or taking time to aim you ought to be okay.

I personally wouldn't risk it in an automatic weapon though.
>>
>>53368829
Is Malf-16 significantly better that it would be worth the reliability upgrade?
>>
>>53368854
You're down from 4.6% chance of malfunction to 1.9%. So while it's only a decrease of 2.7% on the face of it, it's actually closer to 60% less likely to fuck up for you.

Which firearm are you looking at? What TL? It really depends on what you're upgrading and how much cash you're tossing down on it. Might be worth just getting a different, more expensive weapon.
>>
>>53368913
TL6, looking at a Luger pistol, it's Malf-16 normally, but it has 32 round drum mags available that adds -1 to bulk and make it Malf-15
>>
>>53368954
I don't think you can increase the reliability by buying a Fine (Reliable) Luger if the Malf penalty comes from the magazine? Make sure of how your GM is gonna interpret things before you take the dive.

But yeah, since it's a semi-auto pistol instead of a submachinegun you should be fine. Might see if you can get an old WW1 surplus Browning Auto-5. Autoshotguns are wonderful.
>>
>>53369019
I think we've ruled that the magazine just adds a -1 to the malf rating on the gun previously, not actually sets it 15, so a Fine (Reliable) Luger would be Malf 17, and Malf 16 with the drum magazine.

If I were to convert my Luger to select fire, would you trust a Malf-16 gun in full auto?
>>
>>53368913
>>53369019

Malf 15 seems fine for a TL 6 carbine/SMG. I'd hesitate more about a Luger with a drum mag as a primary weapon because it's under-powered and short ranged then because it's MALF.

There are a lot of better options. If you aren't married to the nazi gun grab one of them, like the man said an auto-5 is a damn fun gun.
>>
why shouldn't I simplify skills by putting similar ones together, like putting swords plainly into 'heavy blades' and 'light blades', 'blunt weapons', 'polearms' etc?
>>
>>53371092
You do you
Seems like a bit of extra work to me, as weapons are already categorized by type. You're just using broader terms.
>>
>>53371092
Better idea: Just treat defaults to other skills as techniques that you can buy up.
>>
>>53371092
Like Wildcard skills?
>>
>>53371092
The only reason not to is if you want to specialize characters in your game. Otherwise you're just using watered-down wildcard skills. It's GURPS, run it how you want it.
>>
>>53371092
>>53372034
On a related note, that would also resolve some issues with Staff/Spear/Polearm/2H Axe/Mace.

>Take a length of wood
>Can swing and thrust at monsters as well as easily parry
>Sharpen 1" on one end
>Can only poke with meh parry.
>>
>>53373164
The way you hold a staff vs. the way you hold a spear is very different. If you hold your spear as you would a staff, you get the +2 to parry.
>>
>>53373253
Except for some reason, RAW you lose your ability to stab with a spearhead and can only stab with the blunt end.
>>
A question.
Consider the following character: Digital Mind, Possession (Digital, Assimilation), Duplication (Digital).
Can his duplicates assimilate skills of their hosts?
If yes, what happens if the dupes and the original merge back?
>>
>>53374040
I'd say the player can pick and choose which assimilations are "made canon" and taken back into the fold; if an assimilation is allowed as part of the whole, then the full character loses those skill points and gain the new skill points. I'd allot unspent point among the duplicates for the purpose of assimilation; if you have 8 unspent points and three duplicates (for a total of four characters), each could take two points with them. These assimilations would also be subject to the player accepting them or not; if they don't, they get the points back.

Honestly, you might be better off just leaving the duplications as separate entities to grow and evolve on their own; instead of synchronizing the knowledge, let each copy do their own thing and differentiate to expand your overall skillset as a team of networked AI rather than one overmind.
>>
Rolling up random treasures for a DF game, and I got a meteoric (anti-magic) dagger that chimes when swung and has calligraphy on it.

Any ideas for what the calligraphy should say?
>>
>>53375092
"Fresh Vegetables"
Because whoever made engraving didn't know language and just copied text from signs and documents. I mean, it's DF, things aren't particularly serious.
>>
>>53375092
"Ding"

Later, have them find an orichalcum mace that produces a thunderclap when swung and is also decorated in calligraphy; its word is "Dong."

Alternatively, maybe something about music piercing the heart? Or breaking spells?
>>
File: 1460411741747.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1460411741747.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
I have two days to learn the system and prepare a bubblegum crisis based cyberpunk game using only the core rulebooks. How fucked am I?
>>
>>53375586
A bit, but not totally.

Use only Light for your rules. You don't have the time to learn the whole thing.
Use the suits from Ultra-Tech.
Use the basic Computer Hacking instead of anything more detailed.
>>
>>53375586
Read GURPS Lite. Wala, you've learned GURPS. The rest is dumpster-diving for gear in Ultra-Tech only if it isn't covered by Basic Set already.
>>
Despite the fact that the BAR is under the rifle category in it's book listing, is that a Rifle or a Light Machine Gun, for skill usage?
>>
>>53377750
It's a rifle. It's in the name Browning Automatic Rifle.

Otherwise the M-16 A1 would also be a light machinegun because it can also fire full-auto.
>>
>>53377863
Can that rifle be reliably shot full auto from the shoulder, though?

And more over, was it ever, or would every individual prefer to shoot it from a bipod, or from the hip (like it was designed for by the way).
>>
>>53376051
>Wala
>WALA
>Not Voilà or at least voila
Please don't do this to me, this physically hurts
>>
>>53377966
Walawalawalawalawala
I forgot the word, please forgive me.

>>53377949
Yes, you can fire it full auto from the shoulder, just like every other rifle on the rifle table.
>>
File: lmg.png (1MB, 1438x972px) Image search: [Google]
lmg.png
1MB, 1438x972px
How do you make the distinguishing line between Gunner (Machine Gun) and Guns (LMG)? or Guns (Rifle) for that matter.

Consulting High-Tech, and High-Tech Pulp Guns Vol 2 pic related is accurate.
>>
>>53377949
Yes. You can fire it full-auto from the shoulder. No, it's not built for sustained firing like a dedicated LMG. If you burn through more than a few mags on full auto, you'll fuck up the barrel.

And the barrel is not quick or easy to change in a BAR.
>>53377966
>>53377996
Oooh, eee, ah ah ah, ting tang, walawala bing bang
>>
>>53377999
Generally, Guns Rifle are lighter magazine fed firearms that have the option of firing full auto, but aren't designed with sustained suppression in mind.

Light machineguns generally fire rifle-caliber ammunition from a magazine or belt, and are light enough to be fired and carried by a person.

Gunner (Machinegun) usually goes for heavier guns that have to be mounted or braced on a tripod or weapon mount such as power armor or vehicles.
>>
I'm new to gurps and am going to try to DM for a group of new players, so far I think I'm going to be running this http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Horror/3e/thing.html

Any suggestions or things to avoid as a first time gurps DM? I've read the basic set and think I'm prepared but figured I'd ask just in case
>>
>>53378793
Don't go above -25 or -30 points of disadvantages usually. Just raise point totals if you want higher power characters because otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of nonfunctional neurotics at best.
>>
>>53377999
Pyramid 3/65 has alternate gun skills/techniques, where they discuss the differences between the skills and why they do or don't make sense. On the subject of Guns (Rifle) vs. Guns (LMG), it concludes that there's really "no meaningful game difference" between the two, and replaces them (and some others) with Guns (Long Arm).

It's a super-interesting read, and I think it simplifies/fixes a lot of things I never liked about the Guns skill.
>>
>>53378793
There is a ton of optional rules, don't worry too much about them.

Some players may want to do things their skills don't exactly cover. As a general rule trying to use the 'wrong skill' should get about -2 if you allow it.
>>
>>53379167
That's a good idea, though I wonder if it drops shotguns into Guns (Long Arm) along with rifles and LMGs.
>>
>>53381218
It does - but with good justification.

One, familiarity is emphasized - shooters already have skill penalties for using firearms they aren't familiar with. Action, feed, caliber, and the like all play a role, so going from a magazine-fed select-fire rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO to a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun is impose penalties if the shooter isn't already familiar with both firearms. This is all stuff that would be true whether you're using the alternate skills or not.

Two, the real difference between the two is ammunition. As the article puts it:

>The actual difference, both in the real world and in the game, lies entirely in the ammunition. In GURPS, the advantage that a multiple-projectile shotgun shell provides for hitting a target is a function of the Rapid Fire rules (pp. B373, 409), whereas the accuracy and range advantages of the rifle are covered by weapon stats like Acc and Range. And what happens if a shotgun fires a single projectile like a slug? For all effects and purposes, this gives rifle-like performance (High-Tech, p. 166).

And there are lot of other justifications besides - rifles with unrifled barrels exist, shotguns with rifled barrels exist, some pistols can fire shotshells (but would still use the Pistol skill), and so on. The handling of shotguns isn't fundamentally different. So shotguns are subsumed into Guns (Long Arm) and sometimes Guns (Pistol), and the same reasoning is used to drop Guns (Gyroc).

There's a ton of cool stuff in the article, not the least of which being the in-depth discussion and comparison of different shooting skills. Gun-oriented characters might seem a little more boring at first with so many skills cut and only two new techniques added, but the system really does make a lot more sense. Customization will come in the form of familiarity and other techniques and skills that aren't just Guns skills, which Tactical Shooting can help diversify even further.
>>
File: 1385803938821.jpg (240KB, 2000x716px) Image search: [Google]
1385803938821.jpg
240KB, 2000x716px
>>53346052
3d-1 pi-, good Guns skill and shot placement. Wounding modifier doesn't matters if you shoot in the vitals.
>>
>>53381798
Oh, and by the way, I wonder why TT-33 has damage of only 2d+2, even though it had pretty much the same muzzle velocity as Mauser C96.
>>
>>53381874
It's a half a point difference so it really dosn't seem too big to me, with the Broomhandle getting 9.5 and the TT-33 running 9. Weirdly, the TT gets a much higher minimal damage.
>>
>>53381874
>>53381798

Get some hot military surplus +P ammo and they both round off to 3d pi-.

I know the TT-33 can handle it but 7.62x25mm Tokarev SMG ammo is very damn hot for a C96.

I'd be okay with doing it with a new one in 1946 but these days it seems like abusing an antique with corrosive primer high pressure ammo.
>>
File: 1494875378145.jpg (34KB, 469x458px)
1494875378145.jpg
34KB, 469x458px
>>53341259
I'm going to be running a westmarches game (heavy wilderness survival/dungeon crawling game) for some friends soon. I really, really, really want to use GURPS, because I like the system and if I have to DM anymore 5e I think I'll chew my own face off.

Main problem though is that if I know there's no way that they'll get through character creation. Any recommendations on how to make characters for people? I'm thinking that to start I'll have everyone at 50 points, that way things start off very simple and easy to understand.
>>
How does one make a jack of all trades character?
Can we try to keep the point cost to a minimum
>>
>>53383013
Modular abilities, only for skills.
>>
>>53382686
Make a basic template with skills and advantages that every PC should have, then make a list of small packages of skills and advantages and tell your players to pick a few of them. For disadvantages, prepare a list of 5-10 or just discuss it with your players.

For 50 point characters, try a 20 point base template and packages worth 10-20 points each.
>>
Anyone got links to the gurps books?
>>
>>53382686
Templates are your friend (and your players' friend too). Take a look at Dungeon Fantasy for ideas, or simply use DF as a base.
>>
>>53384769
Nope. Nobody has them. And nobody buried them in the OP image.
>>
File: kh4qzg9bb3zy.jpg (2MB, 4898x3266px)
kh4qzg9bb3zy.jpg
2MB, 4898x3266px
>>53382686
>>53383663

I'd suggest that each character have Combat Reflexes and the skills Observation, Stealth, Hiking, First Aid, Survival and Climbing at 2 points each. This cost 27 points and covers the very basics, though obviously you will also need to pick a combat skill.
>>
>>53385135
Don't give everyone combat reflexes. Sure it's a fantastic deal points-wise but it's really for the grizzled vet who has his weapon, helmet and boots on at the first sign of trouble before he's even awake.

Sure, there's all kinds of justifications you can use to give it to just about anybody. That sort of thing is what leads to nearly identical character sheets. At that point why not just stick with your favorite class and just change the name for every new game?
>>
>>53385233

Combat Reflexes is really just the Heroic Warrior basic power. If you are going to do physical violence, and in a wilderness survival and dungeon crawl game it's really something everyone should have, there's nothing else you can do with 15 points to make a character more survivable.
>>
Could somone build me an example of a post apoc character for my NPC? TL 8 with 150 points.
>>
>>53386664
Pick any template from After the End 1. That's exactly the point total of those templates, and they have a fairly broad range of skillsets.
>>
>>53375586
Maybe you know this, but be super careful about just grabbing the whole equipment list from ultra tech. Less is more.

The book is a sci-fi ideas book, the equipment is not designed to be all used together in the same campaign.

Much better than you give your players a few meaningful choices than a whole bunch of incoherent shit.
>>
Why should I invest more points into having a higher Guns skill in multiple disciplines when I could just pump up a single skill like Guns(Rifles) only and just take the -2 default for other guns?
>>
>>53382686
Make a bunch of appropriate basic character archetypes without personalities.

Let them pick from them and give them personalities; if they are keen they can tinker with them.

Any characters not used can be recycled as NPCs.
>>
>>53387220
Because your GM isn't using the alternate gun specialties rules. Besides, it's better to raise Guns (Pistols), since those have a lower Acc score and the default is made up for by taking a second to Aim.
>>
>>53387024
well i just want to see a filled out character sheet
>>
>>53387220
>>53387292
>wanted to have pistols, SMGs, rifles, shotgun and LMGs
>GM refuses to make Guns(Long Arms) a thing
>welp time to stat up my character to have five different skills that all do the same thing
>remember defaults are a thing
>realize I only need to put points in pistols because of the -2 default for other guns
>save four points by not buying the other skills at all which can be put immediately into raising Pistols by 1

Absolutely devilish.
>>
File: P1290131_zps6f845e91.png (733KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P1290131_zps6f845e91.png
733KB, 800x600px
Would a boot with hobnails and metal reinforcement provide any bonus over normal boots?
>>
>>53387680
>Lets wearer ignore -2 to attacks and -1 to defenses for bad terrain.
I got it from Low-Tech Instant Armor, but it's probably in Low-Tech as well.
>>
>>53387695
>>53387680
I feel like hobnails should give a bad terrain penalty on streets paved with rock or smooth rock in general. Metal on stone doesn't provide good traction.
>>
>>53387295
Then fill one out.
>>
File: After The End.pdf (29KB, 1x1px)
After The End.pdf
29KB, 1x1px
>>53387727
They bite well enough to provide acceptable traction. Until vulcanized rubber there's really no good boot sole for smooth surfaces, if you need really good traction it's best to just abandon shoes before 1845.

>>53386664
>>53387024
>>53387295

Okay, here's a Post-Apocalyptic brute. He's got a long staff, maybe an old length of pipe, and a heavy bow. He's tough and strong, the sort of person that serves a useful role in almost any group.
>>
>>53383663
>>53384823
>>53385135
>>53387234
Cool, thanks guys. How many different templates should I have available? 1 for each player, or should I make some extras? I guess if they want we can have more than 1 of each template
>>
>>53390331
Action 4 has a lot of skill packages you can use to build templates with. I suggest asking your players what they want to play and build templates based on that.
>>
>>53375092
>>53375375
I like this. Definitely stealing
>>
>>53374040
If you give the character Modular Abilities(Computer Brain) they could probably use their modular skill points for the assimilated skills, so they wouldn't have to worry about losing skills when they take on new skills, and since they're learning those skills modularly they can just forget the skills when they leave the body if they don't need them anymore.
>>
>>53387727
It's rough, textured metal though. Its not like much better types of soles existed at the time.
>>
How do I build an Ablative DR power that costs FP/ER not to activate, but to instantly restore?
>>
>>53394432
Extreme Regeneration aspected to DR with Costs Fatigue/ER on it? You'll only get 10/second, but that's fairly significant.
>>
>>53394464
I'm 99% sure that the rules for high HP and healing would also apply here, so it's still essentially instant regardless of how high the DR goes; he gets back 10 DR if he has 1-19 DR, 20 DR if he has 20-29 DR, 30 if he has 30-39 DR, etc.
>>
I'm making a campaign, ripping off Shadowrun wholesale because the setting is awesome. The thing is, I don't know how to handle deckers in GURPS. I was thinking of just treating Computer Hacking like a gun skill, but I'm not sure if that will be exciting enough.

I guess the 'black' anti-decker programs should hurt the decker and deal HP damage, but what about the normal security measures? Just damage his deck and force him out?

Best bartender for attention
>>
I remember specifically reading a thing that was talking about weapon familiarity and tech level with guns in particular, like "If you're familiar with a 5.56 AR you could shoot any other assault rifle in 5.56 with a very small or no penalty, or a 7.62 battle rifle with a -2 familiarity penalty. A bolt action rifle would be a bit more difficult" shit like that, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read that at.
>>
>>53394928
So there are like a billion and a half ways of handling hacking. The big three are
>Computer Hacking
Basically what you're talking about: you use the Computer Hacking skill to break into secure systems in a very straightforward way. For what you're talking about, if the target system has black ICE, then on a failure, the would-be hacker might lose a number HP equal to his margin of success (or 2x his margin of success, or 3x, 4x, or even 5x if it's *really* nasty). Regular systems probably just kick his ass out, log the connection, and call LoneStar.
>Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung-Fu
This is an article from Pyramid #3/21: Cyberpunk. It divides a bunch of cyberattack methods and defenses into programs and techniques; it's a much more "tactical" approach to hacking. It also has black ICE included as a defensive program to use at your leisure.
>Hacking Powers
Check out the Ergokinesis power in Psionic Powers. A good number of those abilities boil down to "hacking but powers instead of skills," and it's a very very straightforward approach to hacking that's more detailed *and* customizable than just rolling vs. Computer Hacking. If those abilities have a cybernetic or gadget limitation instead of the Psi limitation, they would easily represent genre-appropriate tech implants, cyberdecks, etc. As a bonus, it's *great* for niche protection; hackers spend points to become hackers, street samurai spend points to become street samurai, etc. etc. instead of everyone being a bit of a hacker because all they needed is the right programs and the dedicated hacker becoming unnecessary.
>>
>>53395295
I'll check the latter two out, thanks. I'll probably just laze out and use Computer Hacking to not have the parts of a game when everyone but the decker sits on their thumbs for too long, but ideas are always worth exploring.
>>
What kind of stuff would be useful to have in a TL 0 game as a normal human?
Skills, advantages?
>>
>>53395534
High ST, HT/Fit, and PER
Outdoorsman
All the skills under Outdoorsman

Gadgeteer to get your ass to TL1 ASAP
>>
>>53395534
I've been recently thinking about the same thing

For skills, I would guess Survival, Area Knowledge, Culture (gotta know them tribal rules senpai), Herbalist. Then you got a standard fare of some weapon skills, acrobatics and utility stuff like climbing, knot-tying and swimming.

As for advantages, temperature tolerance and high HT can come a long way in a society with basicly no medicine.
>>
>>53395513
CC&CKF is pretty time consuming until you get the hang of it, but ergokinesis is about as fast as Computer Hacking while giving the hacker more control in their approach -- depending on their abilities, they might break in from outside the target's network, have to get on the target's intranet beforehand, or even get physical access to hack it; he might be sneaky or his abilities may be better suited to a digital smash and grad; etc. etc.

It's obviously your choice at the end of the day, but if your primary worry was time spent focusing solely on the hacker, option #3 should still work.
>>
>>53395675
Thing is, we already had one game to get the hang of it and I don't want to cause further confusion by adding in powers. Perhaps I'll slap them onto the loadable programs and have them do all the heavy lifting instead of the decker and have everyone play one of these if it comes to the cyberspace?
>>
>>53395866
Wait, no, IN ADDITION to the decker. I don't wanna peg down the guy's character to the dude that makes a roll and then switches to an alt.
>>
I never played GURPs and I'm learning the system. Is there some good podcasts of people playing so I can "see" how it is in practice and assimilate better some concepts/rules?
>>
>>53388240
Anybody else think it is funny that this character could be dropped into a fantasy game with almost no modification?

I get that neo-primitive is a good PA archetype, but maybe a little Mechanic (Automotive) or something?
>>
What point total does gurps break down at?
>>
>>53397937
At about 100 points, if you allow minmaxing retardation as characters. Otherwise it only really breaks if your GM is shit.
>>
>>53397937
The beutiful thing about GURPS is, it doesn't really break that hard. I've seen at least a few scenarios where 150pts aspiring heroes kicked some 800pts ass in a game of interplanar, lethal basketball (long story)
>>
>>53398052
If you allow stupid levels of minmaxing, no point total is safe: the MUNCHKIN attack costs a mere 53 points and similar innate attack abuse could "merely" destroy the world for significantly less.
>Otherwise it only really breaks if your GM is shit.
This is a completely accurate sentiment, though.
>>
>>53398052
>>53398132
Yeah..the higher the points totals, the more the GM has to scrutinize character sheets. It doesn't really 'break' until you're talking about multiples of thousands of points.
At which point you should probably be playing Mutants and Masterminds or Exalted.
>>
>>53397937
It doesn't break down at point total(though some Jack of all trades bullshit happens at 200, where everyone has every base covered) but it does break if not adjudicated properly. GM's need to vet sheets and veto dumbass purchases.
>>
>>53397937
>>53398778
This is something that I've wondered about how to handle. At a certain point total it's trivial to get all your stats above 18 and buy off every disadvantage you have or had. You on earth do you even build something that would be recognizable as a character at those levels?
>>
>>53399550
GM Fiat to limit attributes to a modest ceiling, then require further improvement through investment in skills?
>>
>>53399550
Focus on the character aspect. Just because you can buy off every disadvantage doesn't mean you should; Zeus would have a kilton of points and he definitely still has stuff like Lecherous and Selfish. Just because you can get 18 in everything doesn't mean you should; even gods have specialties.

Even from a gamist perspective, having 18 in everything and no disadvantages doesn't mean squat when your adversaries have 30 in everything and a fuckton of powerful advantages (this also plays into >>53398778's complaint; if one person can cover all the bases at 200 points, it's time to up the stakes and make those bases spiked, flaming, and extremely poisonous).
>>
>Just because you can buy off every disadvantage doesn't mean you should
>>53399641
I thought you could only buy off mental self imposed disadvantages, and social disads that no longer applied?
>>
>>53400595
You can also buy off most physical disadvantages by using some form of magic or ultra tech.
>>
>>53400655
Oh!
Shit really? I allowed buying -80% mitigators, but not full removals. After all you've only got 1 leg, and if your cyberleg breaks down, it's worse than a stump
>>
>>53400684
Really depends on the setting, but magic or biotech could regrow a new limb, for example.

Modern medicine can also fix some disadvantages, like bad eyes or diseases that would be incurable in the past.
>>
>>53400684
Yeah, but by the same token if your leg gets broken, it's worse than a stump. I don't think the difference would be worth a mitigator instead of just buying it off. I mean, it's arguably easier to armor a cyberleg or put a smuggling compartment in it.
>>
>>53398132
>MUNCHKIN attack costs a mere 53 points
And doesn't works because they slapped RoF on Malediction.
>>
File: Field Agent James.pdf (48KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Field Agent James.pdf
48KB, 1x1px
This is my first time trying to make a character, been working with my GM about it but I've been wanting a new pair of eyes on it to review it.

Also what should I spend my five remaining points on?
>>
>>53401904

A grappling skill
Fast Draw (Knife)
Scrounging
Stealth
>>
File: Jerid.jpg (351KB, 945x708px) Image search: [Google]
Jerid.jpg
351KB, 945x708px
>>53401904
I found a picture of the leader of the Cuban smuggling gang. What a cruel villain.
>>
>>53402062
Buy more skills instead of improving any of my 1 point ones? I would have thought getting better skills would be more important.

What's a good grappling skill to use? Just wrassling?

>>53402095
What a monster.

James was an agent for the Bureau of Prohibition before he got transferred to the Bureau of American Affairs (which is the name of this universe's Xcom program), and he fucked the gang over while he was working so they hold a grudge.
>>
>>53402154
Unless your GM is super aggressive in fights and adventures Lv 12-14 is good enough for staple skills you have, or any ~100 point game. Better to know a little bit of side skills in case the skill 20 specialist falls over. Also raw defaults hurt.

Wrestling is good when you want to do more than grab someone, Sumo is better if you want to knock someone down.
>>
How would you stat a compound crossbow? I'm running a modern day campaign and a player wants to use one, but the stock crossbow is pretty outshined imo
>>
>>53403438
What's wrong with the one in High Tech?
>>
>>53403493
Nothing. I'm new to gurps and didn't even think to look in there. Thanks!
>>
Where can I find rules for flashbang grenades?
>>
>>53405936
High Tech p. 192, listed in the table as Schermuly Stun.
>>
>>53405968
thanks!
>>
>>53398132
>>53400791
as with the last five times it's been posted - just remove emanation from the MUNCHKIN
it goes up to like, 56 points instead and still works fine, you just need to specifically exclude your current hex from the AoE
calculating ~300 scattered projectiles would be kind of a pain though.

>>53400684
>>53400770
also if the cyberleg is nearly as good as an ordinary leg (ie worth a -80% mitigator) then there's really no reason not to buy off the disadvantage and maybe make up for any points you can't afford with some related disadvantages, probably stuff like maintenance, electrical, or a reduced BM

if it's directly as good as or better than an ordinary leg, then it isn't a disadvantage.
>>
>>53399607
>>53399641
Ok, fair enough, but when point totals get north of 2 or 300 it becomes trivial to get 50s in every skill. At that point why even bother rolling? There's no amount of penalties that can prevent you from succeeding, since they're flat reductions that don't scale
>>
>>53407142
>300
>50s in every skill
Did you happen to drop a zero somewhere along the way? I mean, I think you're still wrong even at 3000 points, but DF and Action *start* at 250 and MH starts PCs out at 400+, and they definitely don't have SL-50 in any skill, let alone every skill.
>>
Somebody told me there was a copy of the GCS data files that included the text from all/most of the books. Does anybody have a link?
>>
File: 2017-05-24-11-50-21-1260700629.jpg (10KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-24-11-50-21-1260700629.jpg
10KB, 196x257px
Hi all,
I'm going to be starting a dungeon fantasy- ish (note the lower case) campaign with mostly new players. Most of them have either never played an rpg or only played d&d.

To handle this I'm making the characters, starting them on 50/-25. One of my players asked if she could play a ghost, and it got me thinking. Has anyone ever had this type of character in a campaign? I'm not really worried about balance so much as everyone having a niche. I'm just worried she'll get bored and have nothing to do, especially at such a low point total she'd only be able to afford a few basic ghosty powers and no real skills to speak of.

Thoughts? Tl;dr I'm fine with it from a fluff perspective, I just don't want her to get bored with it
>>
>>53409341
She'd make a heck of a recon unit with Insubstantiality, or she'd could take the loremaster/tactician role if she can't help out directly with combat.
>>
>>53341259
could you use this for chibi anime? I was hoping to use my arcadia quest minis for an anime style fantasy campaign. any insight here would be awesome.

also, is this system pretty rules light?
>>
What are good government forms for an tech 3 empire of the size of west-europe?
>>
>>53410965
It's rules-what-you-make-it. By default, it falls under "heroic realism," where odds lean in the PCs' favor but the laws of physics don't outright break for their benefit. However, with a few tweaks, you can make it as anime as you want.

For the record, the following is all theoretical. Unless you want a LOT of tactical play in your anime fighting arena game, you're better off with something that'll work for you out-of-the-box (I recommend Mutabts and Masterminds or BESM). If you do want Anime: Tactics, then read on.

First of all, ditch skills; there's a ton of them, they're all pretty specific, and it's easy to get lost in them. Instead, use wildcard skills; they're thematic super-skills that cover up to a dozen regular skills -- don't worry about forgetting Observation, Body Language, Forensics, or any of the other key skills for your detective PC and just get the Detective! wildcard skill.

Second, simplify HP and injury rules. PCs are fine till they hit 0 HP, at which point they roll HT (or Will, for HOT BLOODED ANIME DETERMINATION). If they fail, they're knocked out/stunned/caught in a dream sequence/otherwise out of the fight. If they succeed, they're fine until the next interval of HP (if they have 12 HP, they roll at 0, -12, -24, -36, etc.). At -5xHP (-60 for our example guy), a success means unconsciousness and a failure means actual death. I would keep injury multipliers the same. Hit locations are up to you; they add complexity but are important tactical decisions. You could take the middle ground and require PCs take perks to let them swing at a hit location.

Stick to Basic Set's combat rules for the most part with a helping of Action 2's simplifications.

GURPS: Powers will give players more ways to customize their abilities for better or worse. GURPS: Psionic Powers is a huge list of pre-made abilities players can pick from if you want a simpler approach.
>>
Quick Question:

Do I still get the bonus for extra aim if I dont have a scope on my rifle?
>>
>>53411530
Do you get bonus points for extra time if you don't write anything on the exam?
>>
>>53411530
Aim bonus has nothing to do with scope. You always can get +1/+2 as long as your weapon allows aiming.
>>
>>53411530
You can always extra aim if the attack allows aimed shots.
Your hard cap for this is the base accuracy of said attack (so no more than +2 for something with an ACC of 2)
>>
>>53411081

That's a pretty big empire, meaning one that would be hard to do at TL 3 for many forms.

>Bureaucratic Empire (EX: China)

An empire with a comparatively weak central rulership and a strong bureaucracy. The durability and reach of such an empire is built into the massive inertia of such a large and complicated system, as even if a new group seizes power they are likely to allow the bureaucracy to remain intact and in power.

>Holy Empire (EX: HRE)

An empire with a loose confederation of feudal rulers united under an emperor selected by election of princes, often along dynastic lines, and confirmed by the ruler of a powerful unifying religion. Infighting is common and the true unity of such an empire is questionable, but such institutions proved very powerful.

>Mono-ethnic empire (EX: France)

Unified France was a very powerful empire and dominated Western Europe. It's possible an ambitious and lucky French king could have led to French domination of all of Western Europe with Paris as a new Rome, the wealth of the world pouring into the city from a broken Spain, Italy and Germany.
>>
I'm going to be making a character in a low tech level,
What should I get to make him a little more survivable in combat
>>
>>53413494
Combat Reflexes?
>>
>>53413015
>France
>mono-ethnic in TL3
u wot m8
>>
>>53411081
Monarchy; early bureaucracy (with hereditary posts, or posts being sold for money) in the imperial heartland; hereditary rulers surrounding the heartland kept at the lavish imperial court, while their duties in their ancestral lands are tended to by appointed and salaried governors; increasing autonomy the farther away a region is from the capital, with highly autonomous/quasi-independent vassals at the fringes; plenty of monastic lands in between
>>
>>53412927
So then does the scope just add to max accuracy? because it says that to get the scope bonus I have to aim additional seconds equal to the scope level
>>
>>53414219
>So then does the scope just add to max accuracy?
"Yes"
> to get the scope bonus I have to aim additional seconds equal to the scope level
Also yes
>>
If a character takes aim outside of combat, for example while the party face is still talking, does he get the full Aim bonus once combat starts so that he can fire with maximum possible accuracy on the first turn, or does he start with no Aim bonus and has to take turns aiming?
>>
>>53415105
One second is one second IMO. He gets the weapon's Acc+2 (or possibly more if he has Precision Aiming).
On the flip side, every second that the face stalls gives the enemy a Per roll to notice you hiding and aiming.

The martial artist in my DF game does something similar; it's still early in the campaign and he lacks the points to get any of his chi skills like Power Blow up to a decent level, so whenever possible he starts concentrating for Power/Breaking Blow out of combat, either when the bard is still talking or they're about to bust in the room, so he rolls without a huge penalty in the opening round.
>>
>>53413494
High Pain threshold. Enhanced dodge
>>
>>53413494
>>53415253
Ally: Enhanced Doge
TL0 isn't too early for tamed wolfdogs.
>>
What are the chances a group of complete newbies to GURPS, GM included, getting past the first session?

Any tips for running a game in GURPS for someone who hasn't done it before? Someone who also hasn't played GURPS as a player either?

I was thinking of having a first session just for character creation. Is this a good idea?

Anything is a help. I want to drag my players off of DnD and GURPS seems both recommended enough, and at its core, simple enough that I want to give it a shot.
>>
>>53415630
>GM included
Eh, only about middling. GURPS really does benefit from an experienced GM, if only to be able to winnow out abusive character sheets.
>>
>>53415630
I did just fine. Made mistakes, breezed through it without fretting. I remember getting basic stuff like quick contests (ie, opposed rules) wrong in the first session. None of us had ever played any table tops before either.
>>
>>53415685

With players who are equally inexperienced (and not one even remotely prone to minmaxing as much as fucking around) would that be a problem? How easy is it accidentally optimize to the point its abusive?
>>
>>53415733
Probably not too bad if you do a session zero and build characters together, though I really do recommend using GCA4.
>>
>>53415733
"Optimize" is the wrong word. You will most likely see shit like a player being lazy and dumping all their points into one skill or ability; it's not optimized by any stretch of the imagination, but it is abusive and broken (in both definitions). Another thing you may see is someone stacking a ton of modifiers onto one (originally) cheap advantage, but that sticks out like a sore thumb with a police siren taped to it.

Templates help a ton here. What were you planning on running?
>>
>>53415222
Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>53415875

I was planning on running some sci-fi, to get as far away from DnD as possible. Setting takes some inspiration from Dead Space (mostly the aesthetic) and Revelation Space, and maybe a bit of Firefly.
>>
>>53415978
Might want to look into Stars Without Number, and Traveller has a GURPS 4E book you can probably rip stuff from.
>>
>>53415978
Sadly there aren't any sci-fi series in the vein of Dungeon Fantasy, Action, Monster Hunter, or After the End to rip prescriptive templates from directly.

However, you may be able to use Action's character templates with a bit of tweaking; probably replace skills for slug-throwers with gauss or beam weapons, make the Transporter the Pilot, etc. Extended Action (Pyramid #3/53) covers this a bit but it looks like I'm basically saying the same stuff.
>>
>>53415630
Ignore as many rules as you need to. When I first started I had combat rounds lasting 6 seconds, didn't realize there was a disadvantage limit, and made things up as I went, simply because I didn't know better.

In D&D, if you don't run things by RAW, there's the ever present threat of "unbalancing" the game. GURPS is really, really hard to unbalance, because it's based on reality. If something sounds about right to you, it probably is. Roll with it. Your only job is to make gameplay as cinematic as possible. Do that, and your players will have a ton of fun with it.

The closer you can run things to an action movie, the better off you'll be just keep that in your mind the whole time.
>>
>>53415978
Sounds good
>>
>>53375092
You found Keening lol
>>
>>53415978
GURPS Space has templates you can use for a base if you're going for a less cinematic approach, although there are lenses to improve some templates to cinematic levels. Mostly it's a case of boosting skill levels and giving some advantages like Luck/Danger Sense/Gizmo/Serendipity.

If you want to build your own, Action 4 - Specialists gives you a basic "man of the hour" template for a beginning hero, and you can add on lenses to customize how it plays.

I'm not familiar with any of those three, though, so I can't give specific help. Just remember to read GURPS Lite before Basic Set, because it has the core gameplay. Basic Set adds onto it.
>>
>>53415105
>>53415222

I'd note that holding a pistol ready and aimed for longer then around 120 seconds is likely to introduce a shake in the hands. Holding a handgun on someone though a long conversation is a physical challenge.

Long arms are easier, and anything braced on a wall or something is fine.
>>
>>53407142
Because if you're dealing with 3000 points then your enemies probably have custom abilities that will fuck you up.
>>
I got a question about cutting weapons and metal armor.

Suppose I have a guy with ST of 20 wielding a bronze short sword fighting against a guy in TL4 Heavy Plate with a DR of 9. Now, Hercules here swings for 3d+2 of cut damage, which in most cases will go straight through the DR to inflict cutting damage to the enemy. This seems a bit weird to me since common sense dictates that plate armor is near impossible to cut and a bronze sword should break before coming close to cutting through armor.

So my question is: Did I miss a rule somewhere about cutting attacks and plate, or maybe about breaking weapons on enemy armor?
>>
>>53421089
>Did I miss a rule somewhere about cutting attacks and plate
LT102, Blunt Trauma and Edged Weapons, commonly called "edge protection," is what you want.
>>
>>53421118
Thanks, that looks about right. That'll teach me to skim through books.

Still the question of weapon breakage remains. I know there are rules for getting your weapon broken when parrying an attack, but are there any rules for breaking your weapon when attacking? Like in my example, I don't think it's possible to break through steel plate with a bronze sword no matter how strong the attacker is, the sword will yield first.
>>
>>53421175
Given enough force you can drive a bit of wood though sheet metal. The hardness and durability of the weapon is important, but so is geometry, force and mass.

That said you aren't wrong, it's going to be quite bad for the weapon. You could roll vs Breakage at +2 when you strike an object for more basic damage then then the DR + HP of your weapon.
>>
>>53421175
That's an application of the 3xST rule: using more than triple a weapon's recommended ST risks breakage. If you want more detail, though, check out Low-Tech Companion 2; along with oodles of weapon customization options, it has more in-depth rules for weapon breakage. For even MORE autism, check out The Broken Blade from the Low-Tech III issue of Pyramid.
>>
>>53421504
>>53421531
Thanks, I'll have a read to see how much autism I want to insert into my game.
>>
File: rooster.jpg (100KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
rooster.jpg
100KB, 1280x544px
>>53407204
Yeah, he must have some confusion going on. 156 points is the minimum to get SL 50 in one Easy skill.

You could instead do DX 25 (300 points) and default on all DX based skilled at preternaturally high levels, but as several people could point out that guy would get FUCKING OWNED by someone that had less of a novelty build.
>>
>>53423360
There is no good reason to go 25 over 20 and some trained skills since defaults stop at 20 even if you go above that. That leaves a 100 1-point skills around 23-25
>>
Ok, this is going to sound silly, but let's be done with it.
I need any way to convert the 3d6 rolls into 3d20 scale, or to treat the 3d20 as if it was 3d6.
To wit: I'm going to run a PBF-like game and it comes with build in dice pool script. Thing is, it has serious issues with small die, so it basically fucks up when rolling 3d6 and constantly rolls reliably 9s and 4s, due to script limitation. Things only start working properly at 20 and above. And it's already set to use GURPS.
Any suggestions? Ideas? Maybe already existing conversion rates from one die to another?
>>
I'm working my way through the basic set and I'm not sure I understand the character development chapter. Is there another chapter in Campaigns that expands upon this topic?

What's the correct way to do character advancement, I'm not sure which parts of that chapter to apply?

Should I just give the players points at the end of a session and let them put them into whatever they want or just the skills they used during the past sessions?

What about attributes, are they free game whenever the players want?

When does the 200-hour per point rule apply, is that separate from the points I give the players at the end of the session?

Is the GM supposed to come up with quests and events to let the players learn new skills, buy off disads or get new advantages?

Or more generally, what is considered best (or most common) practice in GURPS for handling character advancement?
>>
>>53423751
There is only one reason to go 20 or above.

If you're playing a Gadgeteer and inventing shit. Need an effective skill of 21 or more for Amazing inventions like supertanks, giant robots, or genetically engineered catgirls. A good lab only gives you a bonus of +2 or +4, and success of less than three gives you bugs that may require you to redo your prototype.

That's the only real reason to get a skill above 20.
>>
>>53424030
Have you tried multiplying all relevant values by 3.33...?
>>
>>53424268
>Should I just give the players points at the end of a session and let them put them into whatever they want or just the skills they used during the past sessions?
>What about attributes, are they free game whenever the players want?
>When does the 200-hour per point rule apply, is that separate from the points I give the players at the end of the session?
>Is the GM supposed to come up with quests and events to let the players learn new skills, buy off disads or get new advantages?
>Or more generally, what is considered best (or most common) practice in GURPS for handling character advancement?
You're mixing up a few things it sounds like.

The GM gives players points at the end of the session. They should (generally) only be allowed to put them into skills or whatever that they utilized at some point in the game play.

The 200 hours/point is for time skips. It's a rough guideline for out of gane training. Intense, action oriented adventure is a much better trainer than pumping iron!

And if you want to send them on adventures specifically designed to help them buff/buy off disadvantages, that's your prerogative as GM.
>>
>>53424274
Not the skill, the stat. DX-25 doesn't apply to defaulting on skills, it peaks out at 20, making your DX-4 default into 16, not 21 with 25 DX. Getting skills to insane levels can be fun to fight enemies blindfolded using one hand, or picking a lock with your toenail.
>>
>>53424362
You realise that when rolling d20, you have more possible outcome on single die than from entire 3d6 dice pool, right?
Which is my main issue
>>
>>53425335
Yes, but the point of GURPS using 3d6 is that it approximates a normal distribution with the median at 10.5. If you're using 3d20 you need to change that to the median of 3d20, which is 31.5 - hence, multiply everything by three and a bit.

Or stop being an idiot and just use a competent diceroller. If generating three random numbers between 1 and 6 and adding them together breaks your script you need to fix your script.
>>
>>53427805
If it was mine script, I would fix it long time ago, believe me.
>>
>>53425335
Roll 1d1000

Return results based on this.

3: 0.5%
4: 1.4%
5: 2.8%
6: 4.6%
7: 6.9%
8: 9.7%
9: 11.6%
10: 12.5%
11: 12.5%
12: 11.6%
13: 9.7%
14: 6.9%
15: 4.6%
16: 2.8%
17: 1.4%
18: 0.5%
>>
>>53430138
>Squints eyes at hack
>Hmmmmm
>>
File: 1495724695645.jpg (198KB, 740x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495724695645.jpg
198KB, 740x600px
>>53341259
I was told to come here for this:

With summer coming up that means people have more free time. In response my brother and his friends have asked me to GM a GURPS WWII game set in the pacific. They have chosen to be part of the 5th marines 1 marine division.

There first game is going to be the midnight raid on Guadalcanal. How do i make it so its not constantly combat? What other roles can I use to make it so that they can feel like they are a part of this great Campaign?

Also if anyone has any helps in understanding GURPS it would be welcomed.
>>
>>53430464
>How do i make it so its not constantly combat?
Call for rolls against hiking the hard trails, disarming booby traps, social rolls versus the friendly population, gambling at home base, smuggling and stealth versus swiping rum from the quartermaster.

Essentially, make them roll for anything non-clinical, where the outcome of failure has consequences.

>What other roles can I use to make it so that they can feel like they are a part of this great Campaign?
Radio operator
Forward observer
Artillery Gunner
Pilot
Driver
Etc. Etc.
>>
>>53430464
Think of fun but plasable side stories. Maybe they have to divert to perform search and rescue where a navy fighter went down, trying to locate the pilot before the enemy does? Or the need to sneak up, count the number of enemies and their amount of artillery then return and report.

Or they have to deliver supplies from the beach to an aid station deeper inland, then make it back with several casualties for evacuation.

>>53430847

Oh, a few more..

Engineers. Generally armed with a carbine or SMG, something lighter then a rifle, they carry tools and explosives for handling diverse problems.

Grenadiers. Carrying grenades, bazookas and other heavy weapons. Great for taking out hard points and strong to manage the weight of their equipment. Outside of a fight a 'big guy' is a useful thing to have around for many noncombat challenges.

Medic. Not just useful if someone on a squad is injured in combat, they might be called to help other marines.
>>
>>53430305
Or 3d60 / 10
>>
File: Gray.pdf (63KB, 1x1px)
Gray.pdf
63KB, 1x1px
Updated sheet for Grimwyld. Looking at how this character has developed always makes me happy with how the game constantly introduces new and different challenges.
>>
Explain the skill Tactics vs the skill Strategy to me.
>>
>>53434916
>Tactics
The maneuvering of individuals moment to moment. You have to worry about arcs of vision, line of sight, etc.
>Strategy
The maneuvering of units (squads, divisions, armies, etc.) over a longer time frame. You have to worry about morale, fatigue, supply lines, etc.

Basically, Tactics is what wins you the battle and Strategy is what wins you the war.
>>
>>53434916

>Tactics = How best to ambush a 4 truck convoy in temperate woodland, using 6 men with small arms

>Strategy = How to deal maximum damage to a army by raiding with irregular forces

Tactics are for a battle. Strategy is for a war.
>>
Question on Quick Reload from Gun-Fu (p. 21)
>A successful Fast-Draw (Ammo) roll lets you reload as a free action for Detachable Magazine or for Swing-Out Revolver (with a speedloader), or with a single Ready maneuver for every other specialty but Muzzleloader.

What about Swing-Out Revolvers without a speedloader? Is it a ready maneuver, or is it like muzzleloaders and the perk knocks of 25% per level to a minimum of three seconds? Does the perk simply not apply to revolvers that aren't swing-out *and* reloaded with a speed loader?
>>
>>53435736
See Double-Loading (High-Tech p251)
>>
>>53436033
I've seen Double-Loading (albeit the Gun-Fu version on p. 27). It's on a different level of cinematic than Quick Reload.

The only thing I don't get is that Quick Reload *explicitly* works for weapons with multiple barrels or chambers; the example given is reloading a breechloading double-barreled shotgun in a single Ready maneuver, so I don't know if that means it's kosher to apply it to other multi-chamber weapons.
>>
File: the-thing-06.jpg (21KB, 640x272px)
the-thing-06.jpg
21KB, 640x272px
>>53379167
Is there anything like this for liquid projectors? Alternate rules that make them better or more titillating for players to take?

My players generally don't want to dump the points to learn how to use one.
>>
>>53436636
Use flamethrowers and other liquid projectors against them. Show them how useful they are.
>>
>>53436636
Use enemies that fill them with slipspray. Have Benny Hill music ready to go to really set the scene.
>>
>>53436280
> It's on a different level of cinematic than Quick Reload
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvUlfIOPrM
Not really that much
>>
File: IMG_0630.jpg (69KB, 960x949px)
IMG_0630.jpg
69KB, 960x949px
>>53436696
I like this idea. I will do this.
>>
>>53436708
Sorry, I was saying that Quick Reload was more cinematic than Double-Reload. Double-Reload requires a penalized skill check to load quickly while Quick Reload is a perk that lets you reload your entire weapon as a free action/single Ready maneuver in frantic battlefield conditions.

On the sliding scale of realistic to cinematic, I put them at Double-Reload > Quick Reload > Quasi-Realistic Ammo > Infinite Ammo, and I feel that allowing one of them kind of removes any reason to pick an option further to the left -- why spend two points to train up a technique that lets you reload slightly faster when you can spend half the points and reload even faster, and why pick either of those options when one point frees you from any and all reloading in the campaign?

This argument is sort of moot, I guess. I feel that Quick Reload matches the tone of my game and want to know more about how it is meant to operate. I think I'll go for it taking a Ready without a speedloader.
>>
>>53433290
That's a lot of points
How old is this game now?
>>
>>53436977
Over a year, with roughly weekly sessions. It's been a wild ride.
>>
>tfw about to run an action game based off time crisis
Wish me luck guys
>>
>>53440264
Ganbatte, anon-chan! Be sure to give us the after action report!
>>
>>53435736
"Every other specialty" implies it also only takes a ready maneuver for shit with internal magazines. That seems insane, so either it doesn't *really* mean every other specialty or it is RAW stupidly good.
>>
>>53440273
I can't wait to play it on Saturday.
>>
>>53440264
Only played a bit of Time Crisis as a kid. What differentiates that IP from other "spec-ops SWAT team guns there way through an entire army of terrorists" games?
>>
Anyone else hate reading pdfs? They always load too slow.

I wish they would release a dungeon fantasy compendium of all the splats they've released for it. Most of them are only like, 16 pages or something right? That would be pretty fucking sweet, and I'd buy the shit out of it.
>>
>>53444568
>They always load too slow
Have you tried not using Adobe fucking Reader
>>
>>53443624
It's a light gun game with high camp value.
Plus it's my first campaign so I needed to think of something quick and it was on the mind.
>>
>>53445054
Makes sense. I was always curious about the title though; I always figured there was a time travel element I never got to because I was to scrubby and ran out of tokens too quick.
>>
I need help with the GLOO gun from Prey.
>http://prey.wikia.com/wiki/GLOO_Cannon

I was going to just wing it as a Liquid Projector that deals 1d-1 speed malus on successful hit, and at zero speed you freeze for 1d rounds, but that's pretty hack job and on the fly. Anyone know the kosher way or do you think mine is fine?
>>
>>53446516
Binding advantage.
>>
So does a player taking time to study a skill just like give them extra points specifically for that skill or there a different way you increase it?
>>
>>53448141
Depends on the campaign.

Studying the skill is a simple way to improve, although slow and inefficient. For any action-filled game you improve skills when you have the points to spend on them. For seriously gritty campaigns the studying rules are decent, though the times should probably be adjusted, perhaps 50 for each point, making it scale up to 200 hours instead of being flat 200.
>>
>>53448217
>tfw your way of doing it is the same with smaller numbers.
Anyways, just do what feels right, man. If you're the player, ask your GM.
>>
>>53448294
>ask your GM
Rule -1
>>
>>53446516
You might make it work similar to tangler warheads - being hit by it is like being hit by a ST (whatever makes sense) tangler round, with the option to spray on additional layers (I'm pretty sure tangler rounds already have rules for applying successive layers to make it harder to break out).

Also some flame-retardant and insulator qualities, going by the description. You can spray it into a hex to put out fires and the like, and can fill a hex with either a barrier or a bridge (with whatever DR and HP makes sense - enough to survive a few otherwise lethal hits I would imagine). And if you're not using hexes, you can just sorta eyeball it - a few seconds to bridge a short gap, or make a ramp/stair, or barrier large enough to huddle behind.
>>
I've been reading through a few of the books (namely basic set, tactical shooting, and ultra-tech) because I wanted to run a sci-fi/cyberpunk campaign for my friends. I unfortunately fell for all of the complicated shit and so did my friends, but no one's keen on doing the various calculations by hand for every round of combat.

I like to program, so I thought I could tackle automating a lot of the combat resolution. Roll20 is pretty popular, but I found out that a lot of the scripting is locked behind the paywall. I wanted to try automation without paying first, so I moved to MapTool. MapToolScript is more flexible than poor-tier Roll20 macros, but it's still janky as hell and full of limitations. I found someone's GURPS framework and set off to add onto it. And after 30 hours of grinding through ugly code, I finally got stuck by those limitations.

Has anyone ever attempted to or successfully automated/streamlined the combat process? GURPS seems rad, but it's a bummer if someone wants to play with all of the detailed combat stuff. GURPS keeps beating me.
>>
>>53450755
The only way to streamline the process without doing coding of your own is to use fewer rules in combat.
>>
>>53444595
Anyone have a favorite PDF reader to use while GMing? I use SumatraPDF, and it loads pretty much everything ASAP unless I'm looking at crappy PDFs, like the OCR 5e D&D book and Pokerole. SJGames does the best work in the industry on their PDFs, save for Evil Hat's hyperlinking.

>>53450755
Protip: You don't need to use the complicated rules. Tactical Shooting is a great book, but it can bog down games and you might wind up hating the game because of it. It's much better to bite off less than you can chew at first, since you don't know if it'll be satisfactory in play or not. In fact, you can still have a satisfying, gritty/crunchy experience even when using the Action! series, with simplified range bands and all the other quality of life streamlining rules.

What rules in particular are making you run calculations every combat, anyway? I can't think of much besides adding and subtracting modifiers, which can get fiddly.
>>
>>53451418
Yeah Sumantra, or something even lighter like xpdf if I'm on loonix.
>>
>>53450755
>Has anyone ever attempted to or successfully automated/streamlined the combat process?
Dunno if you'd call it successful, but I did have plenty of excel sheets for doing calculations of all kinds for GURPS. I was in the process of writing an actual program that could take data from GCS sheets, but then I lost my progress and the newer versions of those excel files because my backup discipline is terrible and I'm and idiot, and that was the end of that. I'll probably take it up again sometime later.

>>53450901
>>53451418
>use fewer rules in combat
The problem comes when you actually want to use everything you can, instead of dumbing it down. As I said before, I found excel to be a great way to run calculations both when preparing for the campaign and when actually running the game.
>>
>>53450901
Aye, that's why I'm coding.

>>53451418
I was trying to take into account maneuver bonuses, range penalties, bulk, rapid fire, cover DR, and hit locations (including checks to see if misses by 1 on certain body parts meant a hit to the torso. I also wrote logic to check for critical hits/misses, select the one appropriate for the weapon/action, and include the results in the output. I also had stuff for different ammunition types.

>>53451603
Oi that sucks. There's a Roll20 custom sheet I saw that took imports from GCS which was neat, but you have to be a paying member to use it.
>>
>>53341259
have this thread for inspiration in games set in the 2010's
>>>/g/60576506
>>
File: Hussar.pdf (254KB, 1x1px)
Hussar.pdf
254KB, 1x1px
R8 my character dudes. It's for a multi-universe game, this character works for a group called Nova Roma, which is a conglomerate of Italy and Poland which has revitalized the Catholic Church in an alternate year 2020. This guy believes that the old ways are best, and has taken to using only traditional arms and armor to enforce the Church's will.
>>
>>53452988
You have no skills
What is the Hussar talent boosting
That's a lot of hard to kill
That's a lot of honor codes
Why is Catholic sense if duty so small?
>>
>>53452988
Is there a Metric version of this sheet to quell my autism?
>>
>>53453215
The Hussar talent is one me and my GM came up with. It consists of Riding, Lance, Broadsword, Black Powder, Bow, and Axe. What skills would you suggest I get for a typical Winged Hussar? I have a total of 200pts to work with.
I'm not quite sure what
>Why is Catholic sense if duty so small?
means.
>>
>>53453231
No.
Learn Imperial.
>>
>>53453251
>learn horseshit no country in the world uses
>>
>>53453253
Eh, it's mostly because I'm too lazy to convert to metric. I know it's better, but I like using Imperial, it just feels nice.
>>
>>53453275
Also too lazy to find a metric version.
>>
>>53341282
Do we even need a 4e Vehicles? Just BS stats.
>>
>>53453231
Replace yd with m on the range/speed table.
>>
>>53453231
If your autism is that easily triggered, it should be easy for you to make a metric version yourself.

If not, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>53341391
Dual Weapon Attack is Dual, meaning two. so no.
>>
>>53453364
Well why don't we just play Risus at this point.
>>
>>53453386
Speaking of that kind of shit, official 3G3 <-> GURPS 4 conversion rules when?
>>
>>53453386
But isn't that true? I asked in the discord and everyone said that DWA pertains only to two attacks, not eight. More would be its own technique. The only way to get eight attacks reliably is to buy the relevant number of Extra Attacks, or buy a few Extra Attacks and use Rapid Strike or DWA.
>>
>>53453515
So you're saying you didn't read the link'd post at all? Kromm not only states the rules in plain English, he spells out the logic behind it as well.

And just like the last time this was brought up, people at ignoring that Extra Attack grants bonus attacks at full skill, which is different than allowing DWA to apply to more than two. If you tie DWA down to only two attacks, then a six-armed alien or robot can only pull two triggers per turn. Forget hitting anything, you can't even try!

>>53453383
That's like arguing Ambidexterity only applies to two hands because "ambi-" means "both" and not "all."
>>
>>53453769
>That's like arguing Ambidexterity only applies to two hands because "ambi-" means "both" and not "all."
Um, some systems do require to buy it for each off-hand separately, e.g. Shadowrun.
If it was this obvious Kromm wouldn't need to make this post with "those advantages assume humans, despite we are generic system, sorry"
>>
>>53453769
>>53453822

But the rules DO assume mostly human. Unfortunately Martial Arts doesn't expand upon using ambidexterity and DWA with extra arms.

I assume that DWA does't apply to *all* arms because you can just as easily make a Six-Handed Weapon Attack technique or whatever, or make an advantage that comes in levels to cover all your extra arms.
>>
>>53453936
Doesn't DWA say you need to specify the weapons you wield, so you need to have DWA (Axe/Axe/Axe/Axe/Axe/Axe) if you want to use six axes? But if you use any other combination it doesn't work.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.