[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you avoid anti-climax in your games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: tfw the ending ain't that good.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tfw the ending ain't that good.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
We've all had that moment where, in a game, book, or what-have-you you were otherwise enjoying, the ending not only failed to deliver but seemed rather bland and bad by comparison. How do you, as DM's or players, invest yourselves deeply enough into your games to avoid this state? What sorts of recommendations would you give in order to facilitate this?

Basically, how do you ensure that everything goes off just right at what could be the emotional height of the game? Sandbox DMs or players need not apply, unless there is/was a cohesive story associated with it.
>>
>>53351138

Add an explosion.
>>
>>53351138
Yeah, they needed to make it a 45 minute long special with a quarter of the running time dedicated to the war on Aku, and another quarter dedicated to Jack's biggest fight ever.
>>
>>53351138
>>>>/co/
>>
>>53351138
Lot of foreplay.... I mean foreshadowing.
>>
>>53351138
You just wanted to whine about Jack ending on /tg/
>>
File: 1426473942737.jpg (220KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
1426473942737.jpg
220KB, 1024x719px
It's near impossible, even if you know exactly where and when you're going to end - you can't guarantee how quickly the ending may come, or that everything feels fulfilling.

Fucking metaphor for life right there.
>>
File: 824507.jpg (56KB, 400x407px) Image search: [Google]
824507.jpg
56KB, 400x407px
>>53351138
Good pacing. That was seriously the main problem here, a lack of good pacing or proper time to develop emotional weight to anything.
>>
>>53355825
How Any general advice on how to pace things?
>>
>>53351138
Don't focus on an NPC the players barely met before the final confrontation.
>>
>>53356124
My players are getting sort of dizzy with the number of recurring NPCs they suspect could be the BBEG.

Just as planned.
>>
File: 1473960953284.jpg (80KB, 600x520px) Image search: [Google]
1473960953284.jpg
80KB, 600x520px
>>53351214
Huh, the more you know.
>>53351554
Yeah, I don't really know; fact is that it inspired this thread, but I've noticed a lot of games also tend to end poorly as well.
>>53352698
Thanks, anon; I'll take my /tg/ question and post it on /co/, thereby breaking a bunch of 4chan rules.
>>53352707
What would be an example of how you would do this?
>>53353775
Eh, not really; I was disappointed, but, again, I've not regularly had a game finish that didn't kinda drop the ball near the end. Jack ending was just the thing that made me start thinking about that.
>>53354817
True, but is there any advice you have in regards to how to possibly make it still work? I mean, writers make books all the time, but I still think Terry Pratchett's books end with a decent climax on a regular basis, and while I know a game isn't a book, it should be possible to be replicate a decent finish on a regular basis, right?
>>53355825
And this is where I, personally, think this divulges from the Jack inspiration; good pacing is it's own subject, true, but even if that's achieved, the ending can still be flat.
>>53356124
So, you recommend 'bringing back' NPCs that the players and the DM like for the finale, or just NPCs that are frequently in the plot itself?
>>
>>53356607
Well, with a book you have control over the whole thing and how it all flows, from start to finish. Nothing moves without your say so. It might still end poorly, but it's not for lack of control.

With an RPG, the game will shift with your players, because they are supposed to be actively making their own decisions and creating their own stories in the world. You have to be able to work with them - and occasionally with the pressures of the outside world. Even if you have years to regularly play the game, you might have missed sessions, or players dropping, or new ones coming in. This all can affect a finish.

I had a great shadowrun GM who was really good at improvising and making each session feel great. But the campaigns as a whole could feel choppy, and his endings especially were spectacular, but either a party wipe or a success squeezed into one last session.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.