[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 394
Thread images: 31

File: 1478585886917.jpg (505KB, 640x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478585886917.jpg
505KB, 640x1024px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53335844
>>
File: Branding.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Branding.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
Is this a valid use of Geas spell?
>>
>>53345669
I don't see why not
>>
Hello friends, what do you think about the Mystic?
>>
Which demon lords put up the most challenging fights or are they all potential TPKs?
>>
Around what level would you start giving your players a generic +1 magic item?
>>
>>53345669
>be my bitch forever
is a little broad for a geas
>>
>>53345760
Depends on what type of game your going for. Me I didn't do it till ~7, but we're going up to level 20.
>>
>>53345760
>Players get +1 item
>DM makes enemies harder to compensate
Fun.
>>
>>53345760
Around level 5-7. It's the level where monsters with resistances against non-magical weapons become so commonplace, it's unbearable.
>>
>>53345760
~12+
>>
>>53345852
That is to say, at level 12+ they would have no issues outfitting themselves with +1 weapons. 15+ or so they'd have no problems outfitting themselves with +1 armours, shields and whatever.

The question specifically said 'generic +1 items' and before those levels any +1 items aren't going to be generic.
>>
>>53345826
>party acquires +1 weapons
>DM can now challenge them with different and more powerful creature options
>PCs don't have to spend all their time in peasantville fighting bandits and other mundane humanoids
>>
>>53345760
1st level.
>>
>>53345880
You could easily challenge them with higher level enemies without giving them +1 weapons.

It's called 'levelling up', and also 'using less enemies', because less enemies makes them weaker and even a single powerful creature can be downed by a bunch of low level players without combat buffs.
>>
>>53345722
Needs to be spelled out in such detail so autist don't think they can do something that is only supported by a poorly worded RAW.
>>
>>53345887
Then what even is the fucking point

To satisfiy 'Oh, we MUST have +1 weapons, even if you only then just give enemies more health to compensate' faggots?
>>
>>53345929
>responding seriously to a post that is obviously mocking the dead thread
>while dragging your HOURS long autismo argument into this thread
Go away.
>>
>>53345911
>the bandits are now level four
>now they're level seven bandits
>oh look level 10 bandits with magical equipment
>>
>>53345931
It has to come through from a story perspective.
>>
>>53345942
No need to be upset, I'm simply worried people actually believe they should be allowed to do that. Since some anons argue that they can.
>>
>>53345974
Go away.
>>
>>53345963
So it's 'a reward for a good backstory'?

But really, unless you make absolutely everything +1 then it just discourages weapon variety and everyone will just stick with the one weapon.
>>
>>53345997
Joke's on you, +1s are magical gems that can be slotted into any weapon with a gem slot.
the solution is to use damage resists/vulns more than the MM does, so that players have incentive to put their greatsword away and beat shit with a table because they're dumb and forgot to bring a mace
>>
>>53345997
Yes, but it also depends on the genre of fantasy we want to play. A more grounded, horror oriented game would have no magic items available and it'd involve the players surviving on wits, which can be deliciously frayed, and ingenuity alone.
>>
>>53345986
But anon I like it here and I'm trying to get my friends who I play with and browse pfg into 5e.
>>
>>53346031
Go away.
>>
How do you guys come up with your long campaign spanning storylines? Currently my players are just going from adventure to adventure without anything to really tie things up.
>>
>>53345929
Can you just fuck off. And let several doors hit you on your way out.
>>
>>53345929
This edition doesn't like severe autists, you included.
>>
>>53346011
You have to do it in conjunction with that, though.

If you have +0 weapons and don't do resistances/vulns a bit more, players still have no reason to switch for other things except flavour.
+1 weapons then start to discourage it.

So you kinda need to do both: Don't force single-weapon dependency and also have some enemies or things that...
Say, a slime that has a heart that you should poke with a pointy weapon or a ceramic creature that's most vulnerable to bludgeoning.

>>53346018
Oh, right, you mean like that. I guess giving everyone +1 weapons is mostly a flavour effect.
>>
>>53345760
~4-7
>>
>>53346043
I start with a broad outline, of major events that the players can be a part of. Some of the little adventures are just that, no real big significance in the over all story. If you want you can easily spin it latter that "remember that village you saved? Turns out this guy was behind it"

To get players more involved you can have the stuff they do gain attention of major NPCs in the world and they start asking the group for help or hiring them.
>>
>>53346057
Sounds painful no thanks

>>53346078
Once I'm done with it, it will.
>>
>>53345760

I gave my party 2 +1 weapons by level 3. Both had some fun thematic components to them which made sense in the campaign and offered them interesting RP choices.

I would say generic +1 weapons are boring and I would probably never hand them out. At lower levels I would probably add some sort of curse or drawback, or at the very least add some RP element into it.

The only issue in terms of balance I had was that throwing Shadows and Wights at them wasn't as terrifying as it could have been. But regardless its still a lot of fun.
>>
File: martiansupper.jpg (141KB, 559x398px) Image search: [Google]
martiansupper.jpg
141KB, 559x398px
>>53346043
You have two options:

1: Ask the players what they want to do with all of their fabulous wealth and good-will. Do they want to buy an inn? Try to take over all the elected positions of a town? A bunch of separate projects? Let them and ensnare them in the greater bureaucracy and politics of the region until they're sucked into a trade war or some shit.

2: Alien invasion. Actual aliens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM#t=0m21
>>
>>53345760
Depends on the setting and tone.
>>
>>53346043

Sounds like you have to do some world building to actually make things, people, and events that would happen over a long period of time and cause a lot of things to happen.
>>
>>53346138
How does a party of five level 5s defeat a Martian tripod?
>>
How would you have half-orc as a template rather than a race? Similar to half-dragons. I;m inspired by a thread on /d/ for a pervasive hybrid orc race.
>>
>>53346200
From the War of the Worlds?
Take out its legs.
>>
File: UxxX8vD.jpg (99KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
UxxX8vD.jpg
99KB, 800x585px
I'm trying DMing for the first time, the idea for my campaign is basically some big magical event happens in a world where magic has long since dissipated and is basically a myth up until the event. The event caused an overflow of magic into the world and created all sorts of magical artifacts. These artifacts are magical, but don't necessarily give the PCs any benefits or powers. The PCs will be joining an artifact hunters guild to find rare artifacts for high profile clients that want the artifacts for research purposes.

My problem is I can't think of something to hold together the story. I don't have an idea for a "big bad" and i don't want it to just feel like a series of fetch quests. any suggestions?

yes its inspired by STALKER
>>
What you do feel is 5e is lacking in currently?
In modules, classes, items, monsters, templates, races?
>>
File: tripod.jpg (142KB, 651x1228px) Image search: [Google]
tripod.jpg
142KB, 651x1228px
>>53346200
First we need stats.
>>
File: candledemon.png (133KB, 877x670px) Image search: [Google]
candledemon.png
133KB, 877x670px
I just got a few dozen blank minis and want to paint them. I've never really done painting before but I want to try it out and see if I find it enjoyable.
My understanding is that the "standard" is stuff from Games Workshop (at least for the Warhammer stuff) but that they're also really expensive and knock-offs are just as good. What are some cheaper paint brands that work well for minis?
>>
File: mallet.jpg (7KB, 355x254px) Image search: [Google]
mallet.jpg
7KB, 355x254px
>>53346218
Just go ahead and run the first two or three adventures as "fetch quests." Concentrate more on the story of the moment than anything big and overarcing. Come up with some background for each artifact they are going after and what effect it could potentially have on the world at large.

As the players express their character personalities, interact with various NPCs, and general shenanigans happen during the first few fetch quests, I bet you inspiration will hit you like a mallet. Or you're a bad DM.
>>
File: 1452472115973.jpg (33KB, 466x349px) Image search: [Google]
1452472115973.jpg
33KB, 466x349px
>>53346305
well its my first time so probably the latter
>>
>>53346333
We all had to start somewhere.

Just keep running simple "fetch quests" until you get better at DMing. Tell everyone you are a first time DM. They'll understand. Simple quests like that can still be fun as long as everybody is being social.
>>
Anyone have a good source for an item value list?

I'm trying to find a good list that just plainly details an accurate price for just about anything in the game.

My party is a bunch of pocket jews that will scoop up literally everything and resell it, and if I forget what I sold the item for during a previous session, they freak the fuck out.

Granted, different vendors have different prices, but I just want a nice source to tell them all to fuck off with
>>
How's this for a CR 20 ability?
Legendary Magic Immunity. The X can't be affected or detected by spells of 8th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects. 3/day when it would fail a save, it can choose to succeed instead.
>>
>>53346453
Only on a creature that's dedicated to antimagic, and then it'd even go to the extent of perhaps resisting magical weapons and the like.

Some sort of 'magic elemental' creature, embodiment of magic, embodiment of anti-magic or embodiment of mundanity or whatever.

On anything else it sounds like an absolutely stupid 'I hate casters' thing.

These 'how's this for an ability' questions need more context.
>>
>>53346233
>modules

With the exception of Curse Of Strahd, most of the adventures have been somewhat hit or miss. I think we can all agree we need more variety and less high fantasy adventure #104945853. I hope they do Planescape.
>>
>>53346233
I'm going on the limb here, I would love to see martial adepts. No, battlemasters do not count.
>>
>>53346563
Even SKT and OotA were misses?
>>
>>53346613
A lot of the Tome of Battle stuff found its way into the mystic, actually. You can see Tiger Claw, Stone Dragon, White Raven, and more among the disciplines.
>>
>>53345727
Hopefully they should all be potential TPKs, but looking at their stats some of them don't look like they'd be all that tough. They do have some very hard control though (which could still get fucked by counterspell or a devotion pally), like Baphomet casting Maze. You know the fighter that dumped Int? He ain't coming back unless you break Baphomet's concentration, and lol, good luck with that.

They're all definitely deadly, but any well equipped and well built high level party should be able to defeat them, even if someone dies. The only glaring exception is Orcus with his wand bullshit.
>>
>>53346233
>What you do feel is 5e is lacking in currently?

Tits in the artwork.
>>
>>53346625
I do like SKT, i think it's almost right there with CoS. OotA could have been great, but the confusing editing plus some boring filler don't really help. Thank the gods we have a flowchart for SKT.
>>
>>53346233
More monsters to help fill out higher levels and make it so the lower levels games aren't the same would be nice.

I'm hesitant for races because in my experience people pick oddball races and then base their character around that it's an oddball race.

Classes would be nice but it'll be difficult to actually introduce something new without invalidating other classes making them borderline useless.

Items there already are a decent amount, more guides on maybe building balanced custom items and more concrete rules on crafting that don't make it either piss easy or not worth it.
>>
>>53346291
Might be better to ask in the WIP general that floats around.
>>
For those who like to make/tweak custom monsters, do you use Lair Actions for your baddies? I'm pretty happy with the idea of Legendary Actions giving your boss monsters a little more power (especially if it's just him against the whole party), but I've also been kind of interested in seeing Lair Actions and Regional Effects for certain monsters.

By default it seems like only the high CR creatures have them in the MM, but I definitely think some lower-level monsters could benefit from them as well. Nothing that'd be too deadly, but maybe an action or two that keeps the players aware of their environment or prevents them from ganging up on a lone target.
>>
>>53346758
Or making them borderline useless*

Is what it should be
>>
>>53346453
Well I mean, if you're ok with your casters just sitting down, being useless, sure, but that doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
>>
>>53346233
Modules and monsters.
>>
>>53346793
Really depends on what I'm making, I will give it lair actions if it fits the monster over all. Then again I tend to stick to legendary actions and have a couple minions to keep it from being raped by the action economy.
>>
>>53346793
Lair actions are just simplified 'the enemy has traps ready because they're on defence'.

Absolutely you should use them, but you don't have to use them as 'lair actions'. Lair actions are just kinda generic fantasy stuff that's best used for epic encounters that saves the monster actions without it needing minions to man everything.
An encounter at lower levels could well have lair actions in a different format, andyou can have kobolds readying their action to drop a trap or something.

Heck, even lair actions themselves should have some explanation, the dragon shaking the cave by stomping to drop rocks or whatever.

Thing is, mid-level enemies might be used as epic encounters sometimes and might not be used as epic encounters for high levels, so they don't really get assigend lair actions I guess, but no harm in letting them set up traps.
>>
>>53346810
>He doesn't let over bearing casters know they aren't the end all be all
>>
anyone got a link to a collection of all the unearthed arcana (aside from wizard's site)
>>
What is with D&D that turns people into murder hobos? Seriously, of all the RPGs i have ever played, this is the only one that people seem to want to murder everything.There is this guy in my table that can't go a single session without complaining about a lack of combat.
>>
>>53346885
https://www.learningdnd.com/resource/unearthed-arcana-list/
>>
>>53346905
5e has a bit of a design fault in that it expects 6-8 encounters or maybe even 4-5 encounters a day and if you don't do that it devalues classes like fighter.

Also not having combat devalues barbarians/fighters/etc as well as casters have non-combat utility.
>>
>>53346921
>https://www.learningdnd.com/resource/unearthed-arcana-list/
Thank you kind anon, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>53346905
3.5/PF shits. Also the fact 4e is a tactical combat simulator, a very good one but still one.
>>
>>53346905
I would argue is because of D&D's major emphasis on combat. Almost everything on your character sheet is geared towards how much more ass you can kick in combat. And that's what gets rewarded. So when you encourage your players to build the biggest damn hammer they can craft in their toolbox, every problem starts looking like a nail.

And also because we rarely get into fights IRL.
>>
I'm a bit new to DnD. I am playing a campaign with some friends but the DM is sort of a friend of those friends. When we started about a month ago, I was only looking at the PHB for classes and stuff and didn't do enough digging on my own looking at classes outside of the handbook since I figured we were all picking the vanilla stuff. Most of the other guys are playing UA stuff but I went with an Assassin Rogue.

I have been looking at the UA classes and subclasses and some are pretty fucking cool. I know that UA stuff isn't meant to be multiclassed for balance reasons but should I talk to the DM about a house rule to sort of nerf the Arcane Archer a bit?

When we were all building our characters, I was talking with the guys and the general path I was going to go along was a Rogue/Fighter multiclass. Take Rogue (Assassin) to 5 then move to a Battlemaster Fighter. I doubt I will be able to completely do over my character but if I talk to the DM and tone down the Magic Arrow ability from the AA subclass, does it seem to broken from a balance perspective?

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: dragonborn spellcaster.jpg (68KB, 684x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn spellcaster.jpg
68KB, 684x1000px
Are Dragonborn underpowered?
I see a lot of people complain about their breath weapon, including a player from my last campaign that recently ended.
I was considering giving them a free cantrip like some other races get and I wondered if that would be enough.
It seems obvious what to choose for most of them - Fire Bolt, Acid Splash, Poison Spray and Ray of Frost - but what's a good cantrip to give a lightning-element dragonborn?
Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure both come to mind, but they aren't ranged attacks like the rest of them.
Should I just reskin something? Is this even worth doing?
>>
>>53346942

I forgot to say, our characters are now Level 3.
>>
>>53346905
No clue man, could be they just want to kill shit, take loot, get experience.

It's not for everyone though so they need to know what type of campaign is going on in advance.
>>
>>53346942
Nothing anyone says here will matter. Ask your DM.
>>
>>53346942
Before you ask for a nerf, just ask your DM if you can multiclass to Arcane Archer straight-up. He/she might say yes and you don't have to worry about it.

Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.
>>
>>53346958
just make their breath attack recharge on a 5-6 or usable once per combat and you're good.
>>
>>53346991
UA classes aren't meant to be multiclassed, as many of the staff have clarified multiple times on twitter.
>>
>>53346997
Recharge mechanic is a bit random for my preference, and once per combat isn't really a definition that works in this edition. I might try something similar.
Maybe proficiency bonus times per day, or something?
>>
>>53347029
Could base it off Constitution mod? It is technically a natural thing they do if it follows the dragons breath weapon at all.
>>
>>53346991
>Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.
You fucking wot.
>>
>>53347029
Give it +con modifier.
Recharge mechanic is fine because it means they might get to use it more than once a battle if they so choose.
Once combat is over you can reasonably assume that it recharges, because otherwise they'll just sit there and roll a d6 every 6 seconds until it does.
But if that sounds like it's too often, why not say you can use it a number of times equal to your con mod?
>>
>>53346991
>Also: Where did you read that UA classes weren't meant to be multiclassed? Every DM I know allows for it.

This >>53347006
Also I think they even started to state it right there at the top of the UA iirc.
>>
>>53346958
First make their breath weapon scale by 2d6 instead of 1. So they get
>2d6 at level 1
>4d6 at level 6
>6d6 at level 11
>8d6 at level 16
Second, give them some other slight buff. A simple suggestion would be +1 to AC due to their scales and 1d4 slashing claw attack.
>>
Not sure where to as, but is there a way to get Great Weapon Style to auto work in Roll20?
>>
>>53345652
What's a good ranged AoE blaster mage build?

Is evoker wizard the best fit? Would I be better off with a sorcerer of some kind?

Should I go with some
>>
>>53347123

Evoker Wizard is build for exactly that.
>>
>>53345652
What is the most unoptimized build you have ever made for 5e? And is it fun to play?
>>
>>53347110
No idea but related-can you set up Reliable Talent to work too?
>>
>>53347110
d6ro<2+d6ro<2
>>
>Baphomet wields a Huge Glaive
>it does 4d6 damage

y tho
>>
>>53346958
I give them a pool of d6's equal to their CON mod and the d6's scale up one die size at levels 6, 11 and 17. So they can spend it all on a burst or spread it out.

Another option I've seen is giving them on of their racial feats for free. +1 AC and Claw Attacks brings it into line with other races.
>>
>>53347178
Wot4e monk. Lolno.
>>
>>53345652
What are some good DoT abilities or things that poison the enemy that you can think of?
>>
What's a good way to make minis? I was thinking images glued to cardboard then put it in a base. I mean, models would be ideal, but I am poor college fag.
>>
>>53347199
How do you know Heartcleaver is not Large sized?
But yeah, I'd totally change it into 6d6, if only for the sake of consistency.
>>
>>53346958
Just let them use their breath as a bonus action and have it recharge on a 5 or 6.
>>
>>53347192
Not him but thank you, you saved me looking like an idiot.

I noticed that's what it was doing for the Fighter in the party last session and thought it was fucking up, was going to mention that tomorrow.
>>
>>53347246
Because Baphomet is Huge

It should be 3d10
>>
>>53347178
Probably a Half-Orc Assassin, I played him to level 16 and I think it was fun.

I was STR focused and the lack of AC wasn't actually that big of a deal considering I could Hide and Disengage as a Bonus Action.
>>
>>53347237
Not many because those are a bitch to keep track of. Cloudkill is the only one that even nearly fits from memory.
>>
>>53347192
Thank you kindly.
>>
>>53347249
lol no problem, anon

>>53347187
No idea. If you pay a subscription, there might be a way to program it. Only thing I can think of is using the formula for success/target number (d20>10, as in 10 or greater means a success) but the problem is that formula only gives you 1 for success or 0 for failure. I'd do it as an attacher to skill checks, just write it there and refer to it.
>>
Newfag here.
Can you gimme links to good free maps for roll20?
>>
>>53347274
I was kidding, just imagined this fuckhuge demon lord with a undersized sword. And isn't it a greatsword? It'd be 3d10 if it were a longsword, but it seems to be a great one.
>>
>>53347409
It's a glaive. A glaive does 1d10. So Huge does 3d10
>>
I just came up with these three magic items. Any alternate ideas would be welcome, and if something looks way too fucking good (game breaking) let me know. It is a relatively high powered game, however.

Butterfly pendant (illusion/dodging is the theme):
As an action you may activate this pendant to cause your image to "shatter" into several translucent butterflies. All creatures of your choice that can see you within 5 ft take 1d4 psychic damage. In addition, you are masked by this illusion, all but invisible save for the illusory butterflies that mark your space. Until the start of your next turn, any attack against you is made with disadvantage. This pendant can not be used again in this way until the next dawn.

Bear hands (str, shoving):
While attuned to these gloves, your unarmed attacks made with your hands deal 2d6 slashing as spectral bear claws rake your target. In addition, you have advantage on any str athletics check made to shove a creature of a size smaller than your own.

Golden Nut Ring (squirrel speed):
While attuned to this magic ring, your speed increases by 5ft and have a climb speed equal to your walk speed.
>>
>>53347290
>Cloudkill
>If they're in the area still at the start of their turn.
Yeah. That doesn't really fit either.

I'm looking, but can't find anything that's on the target. Maybe there isn't anything like that in 5e.

>It's a bitch to track.
This is true. I'd be inclined to shift that tracking over to the player who uses it on people, so if they don't remind me to do the ongoing damage to their enemies at the beginning of that players turn, that's their own fault - because I track a bunch of other stuff as the DM.

Shame I can't find anything though.
>>
>>53347384
no
>>
>>53347485
Anything that sets someone on fire.
>>
>>53347427
Guess I was fooled by the d6s. You're right, then.
>>
>>53347485
There's a Smite Spell that deals damage on each of their turns, also some other Fire spells.
>>
>>53347481
These all seem good, Butterfly one seems a little weak though. Maybe make it a reaction and it makes you invisible until the end of your next turn? Even with the butterflies around it you can still have the invisible condition for the user.
>>
>>53347648
Yeah, making it a reaction isn't a bad idea.
>>
>>53347237
>>53347290
>>53347485

There are a few but not many and most of them aren't "true" damage over time effects. DoTs go against one of the philosphies of 5e which is "avoid passive/free damage." Damage is scaled based on ability/spell level and the number of actions it consumes. The ones that "break" that trend either

A) Are ground effects that the person can walk away from (cloudkill, wall of fire, etc)
B) They budget their damage over the multiple turns (Melf's Acid Arrow)
C) Require extra actions on subsequent turns (Witch Bolt).
>>
>>53347497
Anything I could find that set things on fire specified it didn't apply to creatures or the stuff they are carrying.

What are you thinking of?

>>53347621
>Searing Smite
Ooh. That one is good. Minor damage type tweaking and I'm good to go.
>>
>>53347826
>Searing Smite

That's the one I was thinking of.
But also, immolation. It's a pretty high level spell though.
>>
>>53347826
Oh, don't forget good ol' alchemist fire.
Alchemist fire + rogue thief is how I used to play an alchemist back in the day.
>>
>DM having me come back as a revenant because he is converting over to 5e and my character died in the last session
>Didn't really put much thought into the character because I thought the game was going to be a one off so they don't really have much in the way of a background or goals
What are reasons to come back as a revenant?
>>
>>53347922
You don't need one. Figuring out WHY you came back can be a good character motivator.
>>
>>53347922
But since he is a revenant you already have a backstory for him, the previous character's life
>>
Tiefling paladin NPC. How do I pull that off?
>>
>>53347922
To finished some business?
To ascend?
To remove the curse of immortality?
To find true love?
>>
A friend wants me to give GMing a try but I dunno how to into make a 1-shot. Suggestions?
>>
>>53348116
All that shit's for fags :D
>>
Speaking of smites, what do people think about a creature that can channel smites through their melee attacks more or less at will?
>>
File: 1365822185133.gif (744KB, 245x300px) Image search: [Google]
1365822185133.gif
744KB, 245x300px
>always have shit rolls with my dice
>invite my friend to play with my group
>they use my dice
>get good rolls
What the fuck?
>>
>>53348201
So the creature's stats just say 3d8 instead of 1d8? Why not?

You don't need to give it an at-will damage boost that'll happen every round in it's abilities, just increase it's attack damage.
>>
>>53348255
Whil Wheaton please go
>>
>>53348255
You get shit rolls because you don't give proper praise to God.
>>
>>53348255
Sounds like you need to git gud. I do at least three 10 minute rolling sessions daily
>>
File: Damaia Bersk.pdf (364KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Damaia Bersk.pdf
364KB, 1x1px
My player rolled a Feral Tiefling Mystic. These are the stats.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 1376665606029.png (45KB, 183x200px) Image search: [Google]
1376665606029.png
45KB, 183x200px
>>53348292
I don't know what this means.
>>
>>53348110
Could just do the old abandoned at a church when young, grew up hoping to one day help the world and attempt to show that not all of his kind are terrible.
>>
>>53348316
>Feral Tiefling

I don't even need to look at the character sheet to know that it's fine, if you're worried about being overpowered.
>>
I keep thinking Barbarians can't wear armour, but they can. There is nothing wrong with wearing armour until your stats are high enough to beat it, right?
>>
>>53348316
Not a High Elf Soul Knife/10. It sucks.

>>53348334
Pretty much, most Barbarians will be using armour until levels 10+ because it's better.
>>
>>53348334
Of course. I know the common stereotype is the big muscly barbarian that wears nothing but a loincloth and boots - and fuck you for perpetuating that - but historically the "barbarians" the class are meant to represent did wear armor and even Conan often wore armor in the books.
>>
>>53348261
Pretty much, but it can be different smite effects based on the spell in question.
>>
>>53348326
Whil Wheaton's whole stick is he rolls like shit all the time even with someone else's dice but they can roll his and be fine.

If yo want to really hate him look up things he preaches about online.
>>
>>53348378
>If yo want to really hate him look up things he preaches about online.

Give us one example so we have a starting point, please.
>>
File: 1473016048119.png (447KB, 959x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473016048119.png
447KB, 959x720px
>>53348316
>not putting every detail of the character in a single sheet
>>
>>53348334
Rage doesn't work while you're wearing heavy armour, but that's it. Light or medium armour is a perfectly acceptable choice if your Unarmored Defense wouldn't beat its AC.
>>
>>53346233
For classes, a melee arcane caster class (ie., the Paladin's the divine melee caster, and the Ranger's the nature melee caster). Some anons have posted homebrews in the back, one being a port of the Duskblade from 3.5, another a port of the Magus from Pathfinder, and a third being completely new called the Arcane Warden.

As for monsters, maybe some more elemental or planar creatures.

I'd like to see them put out some "easy conversion tables" for a lot of the rolls and stats of items, creatures, etc. from other editions to 5th, to make it easier to port over stuff from the other editions and/or Pathfinder.

I'd also like to see them introduce a new plane for people to test out/adventure on... Maybe Planeshift or even Eberron.
>>
>>53348372
Thing to remember is it's easier to do this as an NPC then using PC rules.

So give it like 3 different attacks to chose from and they all have different riders. Flind's basically do the same thing with a bunch of evil effects so they could be good to base it off.
>>
>>53348378
I hate Whil Wheaton because he's just a faggot, but I didn't know he did that. Now I feel fucking ashamed. God damn.
>>
>>53348420
I don't think he does it on purpose, anon
>>
File: comments2.jpg (79KB, 513x310px) Image search: [Google]
comments2.jpg
79KB, 513x310px
>>53348394
>>
Hey /tg/, I'm looking for a class that work exclusively with potions.
Any suggestions? I've looked into alchemist, but those work too much with bombs.
>>
>>53348407
People like you need to die of a heroine overdose curled up on the floor of a filthy public toilet in the back of a dive bar. :^)
>>
File: CYzi-oFUQAQuBBb.jpg (48KB, 600x641px) Image search: [Google]
CYzi-oFUQAQuBBb.jpg
48KB, 600x641px
>>53348445
On the CR episodes he was on its almost all he fucking talked about.
>>
>>53348453
Wow, that's a great starting point.

Simmer down now, Wil. There's no need to white knight. She's a big girl and can handle herself and the haters. And you probably aren't going to get to fuck her anyway.
>>
>>53348470
Thanks anon, I'appreciatya
>>
>>53348394
Keep in mind he has said he represents nerds everywhere
>>
>>53348411
Everything you said is cool except this
>>53348411

>the Paladin's the divine melee caster, and the Ranger's the nature melee caster

Rangers can do melee but they pretty much do Ranged superior then they will ever do melee, same as how there's nothing stopping Paladin's from focusing on Ranged Weapons even if their smite doesn't work. There's spell smites that do work with them. So we have a Melee half-caster and a Ranged half-caster, they can do other roles but those are their main thing.

If anything an Arcane half-caster would have to fill a role that isn't Melee or Ranged attacks, which leaves a limited space for a class who can only have half-casting. Personally I have a feeling it'll be Artificer, with a focus on saving throw effects like the Alchemist options for damage and buff spells.
>>
So our GM introduced a pair of +1 hand-axes that are magically linked, meaning that if one axe gets buffed or debuffed the other one does as well. Anything neat we can do with this? The only thing so far we've considered is that it'd let the Bladelock be able to summon two weapons instead of just the one.

The party has a Warlock, Sourcerer, Bard, Ranger, and Fighter as far as what we have to work with
>>
>>53348489
>>53348472
>>53348453
He just incessantly whines and screeches and doesn't let go of shit. He's got massive issues.
Everyone on Acq Inc disliked him because he was such an annoying shit.
>>
File: battle_axe_barbarian[1].jpg (179KB, 900x625px) Image search: [Google]
battle_axe_barbarian[1].jpg
179KB, 900x625px
Thinking of "awarding" this to my PCs Monday after a hearty sidequest. Long story short, it's a famous weapon of a storied barbarian (party is three level fives, and specifically sought the place and artifact out because "You don't have any cool magic items, <barbarian player>"). Wordy, but in essence:

>Heavy 2 Handed Greataxe
>1d12 + 1 damage, +1 to hit
>The user must be a barbarian and attune to this weapon to wield it, otherwise all attacks are made with disadvantage and the weapon has no other traits.
>The user, when activating their rage ability, must succeed on a DC 13 willpower saving throw, or will enter into a frenzy instead of a normal rage state, as outlined in the PHB. They do not use a bonus action entering a frenzy in this manner. (players can opt to fail the save and let "let the fury overwhelm and guide them")
>Any attack made will always deal 13 damage plus player bonuses. However, the user takes
psychic damage equal to the difference between what they actually roll for their damage roll subtracted from 12.
>Killing anything causes the user to gain 1d4 + 2 temporary hitpoints
>If the user drops to 0 hitpoints, they will not have to make death saving throws until the end of their next turn and may act as if they were not at 0 hitpoints until then

Is the drawback too fierce? Should the user damage be halved? I really like the guaranteed damage idea but needed some drawback as I don't like OP magic items, but added in the lifegain effect because I didn't want my barb killing himself in one turn through potentially three attacks.
>>
>>53348523
Ranger throwing spells. Lightning Arrow mainly.
>>
What am I supposed to do with Dawnbringer if I don't have anyone who can use it in my party?
>>
>>53348359
> High Elf Soul Knife
Explain this meme.
>>
>>53348502
After reading the pic you posted, I'm afraid Wil does a good job to represent nerds everywhere. In all of our glorious social ineptitude everywhere.
>>
>>53348414
Oh excellent, bro, thanks heaps. Will go off to look at that.
>>
>>53348512
I know that the Duskblade homebrew revolved around infusing their weapon with the power/damage of a spell to do most of their stuff, but still had the option to cast spells normally if needed. Most of the spells in the class itself were blaster focused, and it had half-caster progression.
>>
>>53348469
Alchemist is still probably your best bet. Best thing you can do is use infuse magic on vials of water for buffs
>>
>>53348530
Basically they get easy access to Booming Blade and that combined with all their things like turning Soul Knives into +7 weapons (Soul Knife ability + Psionic Weapon) can make them pretty fantastic plus they have the right racial ability scores.

Also that discipline that gives you +5 reach works well with BB.

>>53348562
My issue with that is you can just refluff a Paladin, a Ranger, an Eldritch Knight, a Bladelock or a Stone Sorcerer to do the same thing. Mostly Stone Sorcerer.

Not every class from older editions is needed anymore thanks to Archetypes, only ones with dramatically different abilities to anything present would be.

Seriously Stone Sorcerer does everything the Dusk Blade does fine without making a whole new class. Dragon Sorcerer's can also pull off being a melee Dex build. Quickened/Twinned BB/GFB, Stone Sorcerer Smite spells, natural armour, casting, infusing weapons with buff spells. It's all there.
>>
File: will-targetting.png (73KB, 613x518px) Image search: [Google]
will-targetting.png
73KB, 613x518px
>>53348525
Even better is the left turned on him
>>
/5eg/ please help...

I'm in a campaign thats been going on for 2 years now, and I think my character is going to die...

Were approaching end times in the setting with Demon lords rising from the Underdark to take over the surface and It's not going well for our party.

Our last session ended 2 days ago with us barely making it over to a small town after escaping from Graz'zt and his army. The party decided we need to warn the king of the approaching army and rally our forces to combat him. The problem with this is that Graz'zt is about 6 hours behind us and we would effectively be leaving this small town to his mercy.

The party is mostly made up of Lawful neutrals and chaotic neutrals with me and the paladin be chaotic good and lawful good respectively and I honestly can;t see a way that me or the paladin would just leave the town and its population to the hands of Graz'zt and his demon army.

Do I stay and fight and most likely lose the character I've grown attached to for 2 years or do I try and bullshit myself into believing I need to warn the king instead of saving the town...

Side note I can't stop thinking about all the ways my character is going to die if he stays and its stressing me out...

please send help.
>>
>>53348662
Tell as many people as you can to get the fuck out of here, bring them all. Help carry there supplies.

Staying won't help anyone, you have to convince as many people as possible to get out of there.
>>
>>53348529
What alignments are they? Do you mean they can't use it or won't? Cos it's also a finesse weapon.
>>
>>53348662
Try to get people to flee, without all the information it'd be hard to help come up with any plan that gets the best results. It'd be really up to how you feel your character would handle it, would he stay no matter what or live to fight another day?
>>
>>53348698
They're all neutral/evil except for one guy, who's a caster and doesn't use a sword.
>>
I've been playing a character for a few sessions now and this is my first time as a player. I'm trying to RP but I'm having a hard time thinking what my character would do. Does anyone have any tips or a guide or whatever for coming up with a character's personality?
>>
>>53348531
Unfortunately he only represents the left side while believeing he is the face of nerds. Anyone who disagrees should be mocked and ridiculed into silence, even though he is against bullying.
>>
>>53348732
Well Alignments can change, maybe the fact they're fucked without it will convince one to turn over a new leaf.
>>
>>53348662
Evacuate as many as possible, stop and stay and defend the town if you must. Be the heroes you are meant to be.
>>
>>53348662

There are two ways you can look at it, really.

First are foremost, you have, perhaps, the best way to kill off your character. I WISH my previous characters could have such an honorable end. Staring down insurmountable odds, knowing that it might mean even one or two more innocents escaping...is there a more rewarding way to wrap up a paladin character? Maybe take it as a chance to try something new and accept that sometimes stories end for some characters.

However, if you're really attached to your character, why not talk to your GM in private? Explain the situation you're in, and he/she might respect the situation you're in and let you behave in character without losing them, with a little magic and behind the screen asspulls. Honestly if my players came to me and explained how they wanted to behave in character that badly, I would certainly do something.
>>
>>53348662
You tell the town it's time to GTFO for the time being, take as many people with as the group can and carry the literal bare essentials; water, bread, dried meats, that's it.

You have to evacuate the small town in under an hour, get as many people on horses, mules, whatever and just go. Women and children first. Treat it like a sinking ship; if you're not out by X time the rest left on it are lost.
>>
>>53348732
As long as they're non-evil they can try and attune to it.
>>
>>53345760
I'm playing a rogue in my DM's game and he gave me a +1 dagger at level 2.

He knows I'm going dual wield dagger for thematic purposes though, so he gave me a +1 to compensate since most of the other party members are optimized.

It really just depends on your party, your setting, and circumstance
>>
>>53348662
Convince the town to flee with you and your party
>>
>>53348662
Petition an allied god for aid and their avatar to descend from on high.
>>
>>53348662
Stay there and die. What a badass ending to a character.

Your party better get a statue of you erected.
>>
>>53348526
That's confusing and way too much, anon. Why don't you just give him the berserker axe from Tales from the Yawning Portal?

It's a +2 axe, but you could make it a +1. It has some very interesting spells once per day, to give some utility to your barb. Plus it is cursed.

>>53348662
Is there a way to evacuate the town? What would you accomplish by staying? It is meaningless to stay and die if all the townsfolk will die shortly after anyway. Your best bet here is send your fastest PC on a horse to warn the king and rally his forces. If someone can teleport, even better. The others stay behind to help move as many people out as possible. Make traps and blockages along the way to the town, to delay the army. Understand that you can't save everyone, and that your group might be the only ones capable of leading the King's army against Graz'zt and, if you can't stop the demon army, many more towns will be destroyed.
>>
Any of you math guys could provide a rough outline of at which AC/to hit is it worth to activate Sharpshooter when wielding a hand crossbow?
>>
>>53348662
Convince the Pally to evacuate the town and face the army yourself.

>"GET ALL THE GLORY! COME AT ME!"

Just evacuate the town and escape with your party if you want to live.
>>
>>53348656
>every group is a monolith except mine
i saw a guy on /pol/ praising the jew so i guess it's time to join zion
>>
File: Murderstroke.jpg (1MB, 1317x1347px) Image search: [Google]
Murderstroke.jpg
1MB, 1317x1347px
How should murderstrokes work mechanically?
>>
>>53349034
you start by playing a different game
>>
>>53349034
Have to use both hands and change the damage type to Bludgeoning.
>>
>>53348662
Clearly, you gotta Zack Fair you way out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUw_swLuGJo&ab_channel=BrySkye
>>
>>53348688
>>53348709
>>53348760
>>53348770
>>53348771

When I said small town I meant more of a minor port city. It has a population of around 10 thousand and the DM told us if would take a lot of time to spread the word and get everyone started on evacuating.

The town itself has a decent outer stone wall with around 200-300 city guard. We were told, by itself the port town could maybe hold out for 1-2 hours before being wiped out. And that if we decided to take the refugees with us, then our ride to the capital would be slow.

Me and the Paladin are both level 20 and I'm playing a war cleric. When we made our characters we didn't really think anything other than good alignments would be right on characters like these and the rest of the party was cool with it.(They didn't overtly do anything worth smiting in front of us.)

Me and the paladin have talked since the session ended and we both really think our characters would stay and fight and try and help as many people as possible evacuate, but we also don't want to lose our characters.

>>53348922

God's can't help. Demonic lords are blocking any and all direct attempts at the gods from interfering in the mortal realm.

We were sent to stop the ritual that is preventing them from interfering but we fucked up badly and ran into Graz'zt and his army. It's the reason were in the port town to begin with.

>>53349013

Campaign is homebrew with low magic. No Arcane/demonic/druidic magic users in the party. DM wanted a Gothic horror style fantasy game.

For anyone interested our party consists of: Dwarven War cleric(Me), Human Oath of Crown Paladin, Human Battlemaster Fighter, Elven Hunter Ranger, and a Half-Elf Mastermind Rogue
>>
>>53349034
Combat assumes you're always doing the most effective attack you can, so if you're fighting someone in full plate armor and you drop him to 0, you could fluff it to say you knocked him out by smashing his face in with your pommel
>>
>>53349021
I'm down.
Where do I sign up for the Illuminati?
>>
>>53348662
I mean it's just a town, dude. Some people will see reason and flee for higher ground, and others will stay in their homes (and die in them).

Think about LotR here. They moved all of those people to Helm's Deep because they knew their city and the countryside were fucked. Only at Helm's Deep, where there was nowhere else to run, did they stand and fight (fully expecting to die).

Just because your character is chaotic or lawful good doesn't make them stupid. Throwing your life away for nothing doesn't help anyone. Don't put your DM in a situation where he might compromise the game in order to keep you alive or give you a "fitting end".
>>
>>53349130
Your interest has been noted and logged. A representative will find you.

Please carry $20 on your person for the initiation fee.
>>
>>53349123
>demonic lords are blocking any and all direct attempts at the gods from interfering

How? The DM explained this right? It's not just an asspull to prevent your Divine Intervention?
>>
>>53348662
The people who will evacuate with you will evacuate with you, the people who refuse will stay and be wiped out. It's unfortunate but paladins were never meant to be able to be perfect, just to do everything they possibly can.

It's more important to gather a force that can stop the demon lords, and getting your PC killed because he tried to save everyone isn't the way to do that
>>
is monster hunter good?
>>
>>53349123
Sounds like a pretty cool campaign.
>>
>>53349200
When it's not on a fucking portable, yes.
>>
>>53349123
>level 20 cleric
>Improved Divine Intervention
>can't use it because demon lords are somehow cockblocking the GODS

That sucks, man. Sounds a bit bullshity to me but I guess I can see why he did it. Could you perhaps pierce through the ritual's magic with the power of your unshakable faith and get your god to intervene somehow? Try to meet your DM halfway, he might be willing to allow this if you roleplay well enough and have this intervention be a limited act.
>>
>>53349123
Throw gold at people to start spreading word about the incoming army. Buy off merchant caravans and ships to start evacuating as many people as possible and make sure they don't leave until they're filled to the brim with people and food. Find a town square and announce that they need to abandon anything that won't fit in a backpack as space is at a premium. Make a rousing speech to convince any brave men and women to help mount a defence against the incoming army and throw the remainder of your gold at the weapon and armour merchants to equip them. Prioritize ranged weaponry, especially bows.

Fight as long and as hard as you can to get everyone out of the city. Have one small ship at the rear to let the survivors make a tactical retreat. Don't fight to the last man, just hold them off as best you can for as long as you can. If you get killed during the fighting, well, you died a hero's death. Every round you spend fending off monsters is another couple of people your character saved.

If you're lucky the other PCs will stay behind and fight with you. If they won't take that risk you should try to convince them to wait on the last boat out so they can help cover your eventual retreat. Stress that this isn't a suicide mission, and that you plan on making it out alive.

At the end of the day, remember that you are Big Damn Heroes, if you can't survive a few demons then the GM never intended you to live in the first place. If you are to meet your death, let it at least mean something. And hey, if you die but help save the kingdom you could make your next character one of those people you saved, which would be rad as hell.
>>
>>53349123
The forbiddence of gods sounds a bit bullshit though.
>>
>>53349123
>Demonic lords are blocking any and all direct attempts at the gods from interfering in the mortal realm.
Wouldn't that mean you can't use any divine magic at all?
>>
>>53349179
>>53349341
>>53349379

The DM took a lot of pantheon inspiration from the Guild Wars pantheon.

There were only 6 gods and 5 of them were the standard not dick gods, while the 6th was a cast out and exiled god for treating the mortal races who worshiped him like shit.

The 6th god is pretty much the BBEG of the campaign and has been the one pulling the strings behind the demon lords the entire time. The gods themselves has several altars and minor temples though the continent, but the main temple is in the far west along the side of a mountain range.

The 6th god basically started a cult following among the minor priests and acolytes and the cult has come up and straight up murdered the high priests and all other 5 god worshipers at the main temple site.

They then proceeded to begin a ritual that would corrupt the temple and cut off the direct line the gods had to the mortal realm. We were sent to investigate and then stop said ritual.

We(the party) fucked up and alerted the demon lord they had on babysitting duty(Graz'zt) for the cult and he wrecked our shit before we could do anything to stop the ritual.

We decided to retreat and recuperate by shattering the support pillars to the temple entrance and booking it as fast as we could and try and get reinforcements.

Unfortunately Graz'zt was not fettered by a mere collapsed stone entryway(no matter how holy those stones used to be.) and started laughing at us when he saw us getting the hell out of there and began to round up his demonic horde to chase us down.

And now were here. We still don't even know the name of the 6th god and I informed out DM if his name is Abbadon I will throw my Guild Wars game manual at his face.

>>53349409
Ritual is only blocking DIRECT intervention, such as god avatars coming down and smiting the demonic hordes. teleporting refugees across a continent and so forth.
>>
>>53349430
Do the gods gain power and maintain their existence through belief?
>>
>>53349430
Do you have the spell Planar Ally? Because you fucking should. There was never a better time to call down an angel for help, hopefully a Planetar or even a Solar. They could cover your retreat.
>>
As a monk making a 1d8 attack with a staff you can still make the Flurry of Blows unarmed strikes as normal.
Is this the same if you do an attack and then just do a regular unarmed blow as your bonus action? Or would the original staff attack have to be 1d6 to free up the hand?
>>
>>53349528
Unarmed strikes can be kicks, headbutts, or elbows. They don't require a free hand to make.
>>
>>53349430
A solar or something would be of great assistance.
>>
Do you feel that 5E is lacking in campaign setting supplements? I know it's still pretty young, but goddammit I want those more outlandish settings back like Spelljammer and Dark Sun.
>>
>>53349553
I want a fucking draconomicon and more fiends/devils lore and options
>>
>>53349465

Power yes, Existence no

Think Ori from Stargate SG-1. They exist but their power to affect the mortal realm is based from the power they get from those who worship them.

Before the world started going to shit, one of the key themes/side quests was maintaining the balance of power between the 5 gods. Not letting one god become to powerful and hurting the other 4 gods ego's and starting a holy war.

>>53349499

I do. I had just assumed the DM wouldn't let it go through with the ritual blocking direct divine intervention.

Maybe I can convince him to let me summon a minor demigod/avatar to fight off Graz'zt
>>
>>53349553
On one hand: Yes.

On the other hand: This is just business savvy, because settings like that simply don't sell enough to justify publication.
>>
Books of Vile Darkness/Exalted Deeds when
>>
>>53349553
They seem to be purposefully not doing any campaign setting supplements, the shitshow that was the SCAG notwithstanding. And seem to be entirely focused on creating adventure modules using pre-existing campaign settings and relying on people's past experiences and knowledge of their pre-existing campaign settings.
They really should get back to doing those, but it's probably because they don't want to spread themselves out too thin and because you could just easily adapt information from past supplements into 5e.
>>
>>53349609
Never, hopefully.
>>
>>53349585
>more fiends/devils lore and options
>>53349609
You'll get overbearing retards like Tracy Hickman sperging the fuck out again http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?24200-Tracy-Hickman-s-view-of-the-Dragon-300-sealed-section
>>
>>53349610
>the shitshow that was the SCAG notwithstanding

Why was SCAG a shitshow?
>>
>>53349641
It's a terrible supplement not worth its price at all. Wizards only seem to do good work when it's an entirely inhouse production, otherwise there's really varying degrees of quality.
>>
>>53349600
I mean, it can't be easy to constrain the power of all major gods. Some stuff slips through, like the magic that empowers you. As you said, it stop direct intervention, but Planar Ally is a spell that summons a proxy, a celestial, not really your god. Ask your DM if that'd work, it's definitely worth a shot.
>>
Wew why is grapple so shit? Literally all it does is set your speed to 0. It doesn't even apply the restrained condition. Is there any reason to use it beyond keeping someone from fleeing?
>>
>>53349637
>http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?24200-Tracy-Hickman-s-view-of-the-Dragon-300-sealed-section

Holy shit

>People occasionally ask me how I feel about playing evil PC characters.
>My response is always: Don’t do it.
>After all, who do YOU dream of being?
>A New York City Fireman...
>...or a Terrorist?
>>
>>53349720
Grapple and shove prone. Martials with extra attack can do that in a single turn. It gives them disadvantage on attacks, and creatures within 5 feet have advantage against them, and they can't move so they can't get out of it unless they waste their turn making an opposed grapple again.
>>
>>53349727
The goddamn fucker has severe issues, severe mental issues. And he shoots off his mouth with that comparison for no goddamn reason.
What's worse is that some people think it's appropriate and justify his blathering drivel.
>>
>>53349727
That's how we got the Kingpriest of Istar and the Cataclysm.
That fucker has no idea what morality is.
>>
>>53349720
what >>53349739 said

Grapple can be useful in the right circumstances. Somebody even wrote a whole damn guide on it:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-(2-0)-Grappling-in-5th-Edition
>>
>>53349720
>enemy fighter has a blessing that keeps him alive for one extra round before dying
>no matter what is thrown his way
>he knows he'll die soon anyway and is pissed at the wizard who paralyzed him
>party fighter attacks him to no avail
>enemy fighter action surges and utterly destroys the wizard, killing him in a single turn
>party fighter could've grappled and dragged him away

This actually happened in my campaign. And even if it's a specific case, it shows how grappling is decent at protecting your allies. It's efficient, too: initiating a grapple takes only one of your attacks, breaking a grapple takes your whole action.
>>
File: 1474634922143.jpg (45KB, 265x279px) Image search: [Google]
1474634922143.jpg
45KB, 265x279px
Give me one good reason to play 5e instead of an objectively superior system, such as New Traveller
>>
>>53349931
You could probably fit all the core books in your anus
>>
>>53349641
>>53349657
The fluff was about what you would expect from a FR book, it's a decent thing for people who don't already know the setting to look at. Not really for people who already know it though.

The crunch parts ranged from good to complete shit. Arcana Cleric, Swashbuckler, Long Death Monk and Battlerager are all decent, everything else is meh or the single worst option for the class (Purple Dragon Knight).

Really the first setting book should've been a HUGE thing. Tones of cool lore, awesome mechanical choices, stats for setting specific creatures and weapons. This was kinda bland.
>>
>>53349931
New Traveler has fun character creation but plays like ass.

5e has decent character creation and plays well.
>>
>>53349863
>breaking a grapple takes your whole action.

Not really. You can break a grapple with one attack (if you have multiple): You just initiate a shove. By the rules as written, if a grappler is forcably moved out of contact with the graplee, the grappled condition ends. The guide I linked earlier pointed this out.
>>
>>53349931
>Give me one good reason to play 5e instead of an objectively superior system, such as New Traveller

Because people actually play 5e.
>>
>>53349944
Lands of Intrigue, the Faiths and Avatars supplements, Cloak and Dagger, the Heroes and Villains Lorebooks, all coming from 2e though, were amazing.
Hopefully Wizards can go back to showing us what they can do with good writing.
>>
File: 1494865893730.jpg (446KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494865893730.jpg
446KB, 1920x1200px
>>53349980
Don't hurt me like this
>>
>>53349944
And really not worth the $40 price tag and even more in other countries at all.
>>
>>53349944
>The crunch parts ranged from good to complete shit. Arcana Cleric, Swashbuckler, Long Death Monk and Battlerager are all decent, everything else is meh or the single worst option for the class (Purple Dragon Knight).

I'd rather a book falls on its face because of underpowered options nobody has to take, rather than shit that single-handedly breaks the rest of the game.
>>
>>53349982
At this point I've had enough of FR, I like the setting but all those old supplements basically give enough setting fluff and all you have to do is google a .pdf of them. We've sat through years of 5e having nothing but FR and I want something new.

I don't care if it's Dragonlance, Grayhawk, Darksun, Spelljammer, Birthright or what. Just anything.
>>
>>53349989
I'm sorry ;_;
>>
I've got a question for you lads.

What sort of third-party material would you like to see more of, if it were high-quality?
>>
>>53350042
That they actually understand the system they're homebrewing for. Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>53350042
More classes
>>
>>53350097
I feel for you. Most people think they're homebrewing for 3.5, it feels like.
>>
>>53350013
We don't know what'll be in the pipeline for Wizards, just gotta wait until June 2-3.
>>
>>53350123
Forgotten Realms adventure about the Ring of Winter.
>>
>>53350042
I actually really enjoy monster books, so i guess stuff like 'Tome of Beasts' from kobold press
>>
>>53350042
I'd like to see more setting guides I think

I really want to play a Victorian fantasy style adventure, so it would be cool to see them create stuff for different time periods
>>
>>53350097
What this guy said. I don't care what a 3rd party material's theme is at this point, just as long as they "get" 5e and can balance properly for it.
>>
>>53350042
Setting guides, though systemless ones are fine.

Speaking of which, does anyone know any good 3rd party setting guides? Preferably something not heavily based off the makers new crunch.
>>
>>53350129
Except not by Kobold Press because they make literal shit content.
>>
File: stone wall.png (4KB, 340x428px) Image search: [Google]
stone wall.png
4KB, 340x428px
Alright so you're about to cast Wall of Stone;
>If a creature would be surrounded on all sides by the wall (or the wall and another solid surface), that creature can make a Dexterity saving throw. On a success, it can use its reaction to move up to its speed so that it is no longer enclosed by the wall.
In my image, the grey line is an already present wall, the red box is the area you wish to sprout the walls, and the green/orange are a friendly unit who is currently grappling an enemy. As the wall is cast, does this break the grapple and allow the enemy to try and escape, or does he still have zero move speed as the wall comes up?
>>
>>53350513
Don't grappled characters occupy the same space as the person grappling them or was that a
houserule we went with?
>>
File: 1448686502170.jpg (130KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
1448686502170.jpg
130KB, 1300x866px
>>53350513
I say it breaks the grapple unless you want to lose your arms.
>>
>>53350584
Rulebook specifically says you don't occupy the same space. It's literally like you just reach your hand out and firmly grab their arm.
>>
>>53350513
Depends on DM, I'd let you hold the grapple as disadvantage saying the wall forms around your arm but if they escape then you're stuck there.
>>
>>53346387
The DMG has some nice treasure values, but if its common reaccuring specific items you should probably make your own chart or notes on it.
>>
>>53346810
Thinking about it, there's still going to be some useful spells and that elf wizard can finally earn her keep. It's awful, but not really sit down and have a smoke break.
>>
File: shop.png (92KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
shop.png
92KB, 1366x768px
>>53346387
Take this and let your players' autism run wild. It doesn't cover magic items but you can use the DMG for that like anon said.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C6LNo4XU_aSCeVnRIWRUp2dhEfN1MkyGnUOblEpXt_s/
Seems the author has decided to trash the file and it's on borrowed time now. Take a look and download it if you like. Some of the items you may find are priced weird, but if you give them this file then at least it will be consistent.
>>
Hey guys, what are the best Google sheets/Google docs character sheets?

Any other good Google resources?

I'm looking for stuff which I can have the players access in or out of TTS, for a first attempt at a TTS with some friends who live a few hours away.
>>
>>53351123
Can someone save it to their own drive and share a link to it there? I would be apparently I can't do that from my phone.
>>
>>53351105
Like what? Sure, there's buffing, but you can only go so far before concentration becomes an issue.
>>
Should I be a Lizardfolk Cleric or Druid? and should I be evil, good or cold hard true neutral?
>>
>>53346453
I personally find that unless the enemy has a BIG anti-magic theme then 5th level and higher is good or 6th level and higher for super-bosses.

At CR 20 I'd make it 5th level and higher spells work. If they're CR 21+ then I'd consider 6th level and higher like Tiamat.

If you do decide to go with 8th level+ then I'd make sure to throw in some minions and environmental things Spellcasters can deal with.

Also I personally let Cantrips count as spells equal to spellcaster level/2 for overcoming magic resistance like that. Dealing 20 damage per round with them isn't going to make a big difference but at least they can do something.
>>
>>53351298
True Neutral Druid
>>
>>53351350
How's one even meant to play a True Neutral Druid? I know in older editions True Neutral was retarded as fuck but I'm not sure I really get what it is in this edition.

Would just following the party as long as they're not idiots and choosing the safest option in inter-party debates cover it? All while holding no loyalty if I think they're leading me to certain death without a good reason.
>>
>>53351282
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_b3uZHc7Ms1WUhTNDFfckwwQ2M
I have no idea how GoogleDocs works so I don't know if I need to be 'friends' with you or what. This should be an openly sharable link. Contact me tomorrow if you can't open it, though I'll warn you I only check this email like twice a year so if you don't email me tomorrow you're not getting it for a while.
>>
>>53351377
Don't define a character by their alignment. Just make a character
>>
>>53351395
Nice trip.
>>
>>53351403
I plan to, I prefer to use alignments as a rough description about how a character would act to give the DM and other players a rough idea of my character.

I'm just wondering what someone's motives would be to have to be classed as True Neutral.
>>
>>53351377
>Would just following the party as long as they're not idiots and choosing the safest option in inter-party debates cover it?

Pretty much, lack of bigger convictions or big ideals, don't commit to greater good nor evil.
>>
File: spam.png (126KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
spam.png
126KB, 1366x768px
>>53351404
Yeah I use it when I need to sign up for something and know I'm going to get spam mail out the ass. Makes for a good depository. I registered it like 6 years ago when /v/ discovered how easy it is to get an @hellokitty email.
>tfw "[email protected]" is an actual address
>>
>>53348316
>allowing mystic
>>
>>53346997
I think the issue is that the situation where you'd want to use the breath weapon doesn't come up enough.
>>
>>53345760
Lvl 6.
>>
>>53347826
Ensnaring Strike, too.
>>
>>53346233
Modules.
>>
>>53351414
Someone who is true neutral is either 'muh balance' or someone who is neither going to risk harm to himself to help strangers, nor going to cause harm to others for their benefit, while also not being particularly lawful or chaotic.

Basically average normal people.
>>
>>53347884
Immolation is also pretty bad for general combat. It's more of an execution spell, like a bad disintegrate.
>>
>>53351440
Huh, the website won't seem to let me make an account.
>>
>>53347123
Lvl 11 Sun monk.
>>
>>53347922
Make your character unaware of the reasons.
Let your DM use it as a plot hook.
>>
I play an awoken mystic and use almost entirely awoken disciplines but my group thinks my character is overpowered. Am I? Or does my group just suck?
>>
Yo guys, my char just died, I'm a lil salty and I want to reroll as the most fucked ass broken character in revenge. I don't normally fuck with spells but I am open to suggestions. What do you guys suggest I make?
>>
>>53351772
You could do nuclear druid. Or you could realize you're being a bitch and death is part of the game and you should reroll a normal character. Not trying to be mean, but your friends will just be frustrated with you.
>>
7 level party of 4 PCs.

3 Kobold (the easy ones with 5HP), 1 Kobold Trapsmith from Tome of Beasts. 1 Roper.

They almost got wiped man that was so close.

The barbarian punched the bard with a potion to heal. They were 2 down at that point.
>>
>>53348525
>Chris Perkins just trying to keep a polite face as Wil ruins their game by autisticly shrieking nonstop about how much of a shit he was in the previous game and you can tell he just wants to slap the bitch out of him.

>he's never invited back
>>
>>53351772
lol get rekt bitch

better roll up a beastmaster druid so you can keep crying for the rest of the game
>>
>>53351772
stop being a bitch and roll whatever you want. People die. Or drop shit tons of money on potions if you don't want to die.

Or roll a Life Cleric to at least save your friends from the same pain.
>>
>>53351846
I legit respect Chris Perkins for a lot of things, and this is probably one of them.
>>
>>53351846
link
>>
File: 1484611163382.jpg (27KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1484611163382.jpg
27KB, 800x733px
>roll a stealth roll as soon as the session starts
>nat 1
>fucking fall over
>a bit later
>combat
>prepare to throw ice knife
>roll a nat 1
>instead of hitting the enemy
>hit our half-rat paladin
I hate this game.
>>
>>53351903
You were here yesterday, if you're playing in a game using homebrew shitty critfail rules don't bitch. Find a new game or make your own.
>>
>>53351903
> roll nat1
> hit friend

Shit DM.
>>
>>53351861
What else do you respect him for?
>>
>>53351916
I just forgot that I rolled a nat 1 earlier in the game that wasn't a critfail, technically, so I figured it would add context as to why hitting someone confused me.
>>53351923
I don't think that makes them a shit dm.
>>
>>53351903
Talk to your DM. If your group is not having fun, his/her homebrew is shit.
>>
>>53351942
I had a chance to talk to him in person really casually about something D&D-adjacent, and he's just a cool dude.
>>
>>53351949
It really does. It's a rule that annoys people, doesn't make sense and isn't in the book. So he's using a homebrew that does nothing but annoy people.

Talk to the group about removing it or deal with it.
>>
>>53351903
Again?

>>53351949
I dunno man. I might be a scrub dm but fucking someone else over is a bit much unless you're all into that sort of thing.
>>
>>53351903
If you're going to have weird critfail rules they should at least be tied to something like a percentage die to determine the severity of the failure.
Like I had a DM who would roll a percentage for every critfail and if it was above 70% he'd come up with some fun way you fucked up but otherwise it was just a regular failure.
>>
>>53351977
No, not again. I just forgot that before in that same session, I rolled a Nat 1, so I just wanted to add it in. I mean, yeah, it sucks that critfailing hurts your friends, but I mean, when you roll a 1, in game, isn't that you completely botching the attack you were gonna do anyways?
>>
>>53351964
He does seem like a legit cool dude. Is there something wrong with his arms or wrists?
>>
>>53351966
>rule that annoys people
It's a game lol. It's meant to be a joke. Obviously if it's a life or death Situation don't do it. But if it's just a regular encounter who cares?
>>
>>53352047
It's just representing that no matter how skilled you are there's a tiny chance of failing an attack, it's not meant to be anything special. Just a miss.

Also Skill Checks can't critfail or succeed so the Stealth check isn't an auto fail on a 1.
>>
>>53352068
Not to my knowledge, no. He does have good handwriting though. If you google his name + Dragon Talk you can probably find the eps where he's a guest. Interesting shit.
>>
>>53352078
Me. I play D&D for a roleplaying experience and it makes no sense for your allies to hit you with their attacks 5% of them time. If you want to use the rules it's fine but they're homebrew and many people dislike them, so do you have a real argument for them other then "lol"?
>>
>>53346563
OotA and SKT were both really good.
>>
>>53351377
Alignments essentially boil down to this:

Good: you care about people in general
Neutral: you care about people close to you
Evil: you care about yourself

Lawful: you are rigid in your methods
Neutral: you are versatile in your methods
Chaotic: you are flexible in your methods
>>
>>53348526
Too much book keeping and 99% of players can barely count to 10 so expect the math to grind game to halt
>>
>>53348411
>Eberron

Eberron is a major shift in flavor from standard D&D settings. It should really be the next book out.
>>
>>53348526
too complicated. Introduces two/three new dice rolls. Would take too much time to do just 1 attack.
>>
>>53348316
>misspelled psychic twice and also assault....
How...psychic is literally all over the mystic UA and assault is such a basic word.
>>
>>53348255
Praise the dice gods anon. Praise them and hope for blessings.

Have you accepted into your heart, the lord and savior Rollus Christ?
>>
>>53352026
>Like I had a DM who would roll a percentage for every critfail and if it was above 70% he'd come up with some fun way you fucked up but otherwise it was just a regular failure.

This is how I do it except I roll a d20 and add their proficiency mod. If it's a 10 or higher it's just a regular fail. Takes me less than half a second to check and it's fun for the group. Also, as they become increasingly higher leveled they almost never fuck up.

Another way I've seen is roll d20 and if you roll higher than the player character's level they fuck up extra hard. If you intend to hit level 20, part of the reward of being level 20 is no more extra fuck ups.
>>
>>53352098
Have you ever fucked up something you're good at? I'm one of the best piano players in Arizona. I've fucked up concerts numerous times. I'm one of the strongest powerlifters in Arizona. I've missed lifts I should've gotten in competition numerous times. I get that a neet like you doesn't understand that no one is perfect, but mistakes happen. Sometimes big ones like throwing an ice knife at your friend lol.
>>
>>53352092
Good to know and will do, thanks. The best work of 5e has been under his watch, CoS, the MM and SKT.
>>
>>53346958
>have claws and fangs
>they don't do anything
>have scales and tough hide
>they don't do anything
>have breath weapon
>it's a bad burning hands
>>
>>53352240
Some people play d&d to escape their life where they fuck up everything all the time and it has real consequences. Just let them escape, man.

I'm with you though, I don't mind fumble rolls if it means it increases the fun of the group. If no one enjoys it but the DM, it might be time to stop using them, though.
>>
>>53352240
Why must you lie on the internet?
>>
>>53352068
>Is there something wrong with his arms or wrists?
I think he's just gay, anon.
>>
>>53352275
>lie
I think you mean roleplay.
>>
>>53352275
Why would I lie about being good at things no one gives a shit about?
>>
>>53352287
Really?
>>
>>53352274
I just don't understand being so serious about a board game with friends. Why would anyone even wanna play with people that guying this hard?
>>
>>53352292
He's never stopped.

>>53352296
Whatever helps you sleep better at night.
>>
>>53352240
I don't fuck up one in twenty times on something I'm a master at
>>
>>53352315
I can just imagine a fat dyel steaming at his computer about his D&D character not being a perfect God.
>>53352327
Obviously. But not all failures are critical failures.
>>
>>53352312
It really just depends on the kind of game you wanna run/play.
This is why it's a great idea to sit down before anyone ever rolls any dice and talk about what everyone is expecting going in. Solves a lot of issues up front. In my case, and relevant to the conversation, I asked the group I DM for if they wanted to do fumbles on natural 1s. Some did, some didn't. So we compromised and everyone agreed and has enjoyed how we've been running it.

You'll also find a lot of people here either play online with people that aren't really their friends, or they don't play at all but wish they did. So from that perspective, it might be easy to see why someone would get upset at the prospect of a DM doing something they don't like because all they have is these imaginary scenarios in their mind to keep them going.
>>
Would you consider it to be bad dming to make the villain's goal to awaken a slumbering ancient dragon to lay waste to the continent?

With the level the players are at, there's no chance for them to ever kill it, I'd like to throw in something they could do after that like trying to find something that could stand against it like an adult silver dragon and it's child, (I ran this through a couple times and I did have times where the two much weaker dragons would win against the ancient white) but that's still not the players killing the dragon

Of course the players could just stop the villain before he wakes it up, but if they don't do it then they have this unstoppable creature that they just have to get the dm to kill
>>
>>53352333
Lol, I bet he also plays a wizard.
>>
>>53352339
That's true. This is why session zeroes are an absolute necessity.
>>
File: IMG_7329.jpg (39KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7329.jpg
39KB, 400x267px
>>53351894
He's getting on everyone's nerves in 2011 Prime but 2012 Prime is where his running gag continual bitching takes up so much time that it's getting on Perkins nerves. Also people start heckling him. Also I feel like Perkins went into 2012 thinking it was his best costume ever and a bunch of milenials didn't get the reference and he's being upstaged by Wil "I'm playing a character" Wheaton going full tantrum the whole time.

https://youtu.be/xzIJemFtXXs

https://youtu.be/jGXctw8IuGA
https://youtu.be/t1-1_aZVB4E
>>
>>53352240
Alright considering you're an idiot I'll have to use a mechanical reason why they shouldn't exist.

It nerfs anyone who has to rely on multiple attacks per round for their damage. Hunters, Fighters, Warlocks and Monks (4 of the weaker classes) all become walking deathtraps to their allies and even worse at the main area they should be good at, combat.

On the other hand Spellcasters can now safely spam Saving Throw spells without any risk to people around them, Rogues can elect not to Sneak Attack if the attack hits their Allies, Halflings turn into quite possibly the best race for any martial.

Obviously by your typing and bad lies you're a troll, so unless you can give a real argument there's no reason to continue this.
>>
>>53352344
Bit cliche, but definitely a good idea. You could give the players a couple npcs so that they atleast stand a slight chance if the dragon does get awoken.
>>
Would you allow, in a moment of life or TPK, that you can punch someone in the mouth to feed them a Potion?
>>
>>53352098
>firing into a group that includes your allies
>completely failing
>not putting an ally at risk

It's situational bruh
>>
Reminder that melee crit-fails hitting allies makes no sense but Ranged ones could. If you really must use the gay rules why not look at page 272 of the DMG under hitting cover for some decent ones?
>>
>>53352369
>resorts to calling people a troll
Yikes. Just kinda sad desu. Most likely a samefag.
>>
>>53352370
Yeah I figured since it's really just "AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS"

But working off cliches like this is easy for someone like me who is still fairly new to d&d in general
>>
>>53352344
What if you rip off the plot from Shadowrun: Dragonfall?
That's always a fun switcheroo.

Here's the short of it. Don't read if you wanna avoid spoilers.
>once upon a time big bad dragon killed lots of people
>big bad dragon was killed? But not confirmed dead.
>The person who killed it went missing several years ago
>Players find out that dragon may not actually be dead
>The guy who went missing is still alive as well
>It seems the missing guy who killed it is being held as a prisoner by the dragon
>Players show up to fight the dragon
>Dragon is a prisoner to the guy who "killed it" way back when
>He's dominating it/supercharging it (maybe this time he's turning it into a dracolich cus d&d, and instead of a scientist, this guy is a wizard)
>Players fight evil guy trying to bring back the dragon for his own purposes (they'll evil purposes)
>Players must make the choice to kill the helpless dragon once and for all (it will try to bargain with them, offering them a lot) or to set it free

It's a pretty decent flow of events and easy to use parts of
>>
>>53352375
It deal 1d4 slashing damage from the glass and then heals them. So since they're unconscious and incapacitated the damage is a crit and they'd take two pips on their death save before being healed, assuming they don't die
>>
>>53352369
>not every failure is a critical failure
Illiterate much?
>>
>>53352375
Why not just pour it down their throat?
>>
What a sad thread nothing but losers, I'm out.
>>
>>53352395
Dude, he was responding to a guy arguing that Crit-fails should exist because there's always a chance at failing and sometimes it should result in attacking your allies.
>>
>>53352390
I'll take a look at that, it sounds pretty neat.
>>
File: 1302735642857.gif (2MB, 325x194px) Image search: [Google]
1302735642857.gif
2MB, 325x194px
Our party only has the party hit its own members if the party member is providing cover to the targeted creature and you fail by the amount of the cover. For example

>Shooting at a monster with 13 AC
>Party member is in front of it giving it half cover, making the AC 15
>Ranger shoots it with a bow
>Rolling a 1 makes it go wild, nothing is hit besides a bird or something if the DM is feeling silly
>Rolling a 14 means you failed by the cover, so your ally is now hit
>Rolling a 15 or better means you hit the enemy
>>
>>53352413
We don't need your low energy anyway.
>>
>>53352419
Pretty close to the DMG rules which are about the only acceptable ones. With the DMG rules if the attack misses the target, but is high enough to hit the person giving them cover then it's a hit.
>>
>>53352415
To be fair I think that's a misrepresentation of his argument.
I think he just wanted to say he enjoys fumble rolls and doesn't see why others don't like them.
He thinks anyone who is really good at anything can fuck up royally. Which is true, but not a good reason for using fumble rolls.

The only good reason to use them ever is if your group likes them. If not, the guy who listed mechanical reasons why they're bad is pretty spot on and pretty much hit every point as to why my group and I decided not to use them. Had one DM that really wanted them so I just asked him "what if I play a halfling rogue?" And then he thought for a little while... and said, "Yeah I should nerf rogue and halfling." So I didn't play with him.
>>
>>53352418
Yeah, it's a pretty straightforward plot with a simple twist. It's quite effective. I used it myself in a similar situation where there was a "hostage" that turned out to be the bad guy and the "bad guy" was actually the hostage.
It was a pretty great moment when they all came to the realization of what was happening.
>>
>>53352418
Oh right, and the good thing for your situation is that they're never really expected to fight the ancient dragon, since it's so weak in its current state when they come upon it, that they ultimately get to decide its fate. Yet for most of the campaign they feel as if this great existential threat is looming over them.
>>
>>53352394
Yeah they take a failure but why crit? Unless you are critted when you take damage while unconscious it's just 1 fail?

>>53352405
takes an Action to feed someone a potion, which they didn't have because they used their Action to attack a Tentacle that was Grappling & Restraining them.
>>
>>53352439
I mean don't get me wrong the rules can be fun, if the game's balanced around them. Which 5e is not.

If it was a core rule with a crit-fail table then I'd actually be alright with it but the fact is 5e has some classes, races and abilities that'll become much worse with the rule while Rogues, Barbarians, Halflings, Diviners, Lucky and spellcasters become much better picks.
>>
>>53352419
This should be how it is, unless people agree "Nat1 hits your friend" at a Session zero or similar.
>>
File: Untitled.png (376KB, 525x325px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
376KB, 525x325px
>>53352462
>Yeah they take a failure but why crit? Unless you are critted when you take damage while unconscious it's just 1 fail?
>>
>It's a DM rules you must spend your action to do a thing that clearly says free intereaction in the PHB episode
>>
>>53352390
Not who you're replying to but I'm running Tyranny of Dragons and that's a dope plot. I'll change parts to make a side quest out of it!
>>
>>53352479
>with a crit-fail table
This is usually the acceptable way I've seen it done.
OR the group brainstorms a couple of generic situations that might cause you to fail.
That way the DM can have fun improvising with the environment if acceptable.

I can have fun with crit fail fumbles if they don't really impose much disadvantage.
>falling prone
>dropping your weapon (next to yourself)
Things along that vein can be a good way to spice up combat. But also why I personally prefer to do a second roll if we're having fumbles. Like, roll a nat 1? Okay, DM makes a fumble check. Greatly reduces the chances of it actually occurring but can be a good way to spice up combat that can otherwise be a little stale. But the last thing I want is the protagonists slipping and sliding all over the place like bumbling idiots. They do this enough without crit failing.
>>
>>53352487
Oh, right. No problem though, the double fail wouldn't be the death blow at that point and he was immediately healed anyway
>>
>>53352462
>not breaking the vial into your other hand, taking>>53352479
1d4+str damage yourself, and letting the potion pour down his mouth
>>
>>53352494
Drinking a potion, by the rules, is an action. Taking the potion out of your belt/backpack/whatever is the free object interaction.
>>
I'm starting a Curse of Strahd campaign soon after my group finishes The Sunless Citadel, any tips on running Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>53349123
A god's avatar would mope the floor with Grazzt and the other demon lords, I think this is probably the real reason why your DM won't let one help you guys.
>>
>>53351290
>concentration becomes an issue
That's when you attack. Use those spindly arms.

Imagine the reverse. What does the barbarian do against a creature that's immune to attacks?
>>
>>53352876
All the god avatar stuff is bullshit meant to satisfy high level players who want to 'kill gods' without having to do some extra-super-bullshit to kill an actual god.
>>
>>53351512
What's wrong with Mystics?
>>
>>53353037
I wouldn't mind that, that'd make for a good adventure. Being able to have a supplement full of deity write-ups and the stats for avatars a la Faiths and Avatars would be great.
>>
>>53348316
>Stats are 18/17/15/15/11/9
>Rolling for stats
>ROLLING FOR STATS
>Also allowing them to use +2 dex instead of +2 cha which is intrinsically much better. One of tiefling's flaws is that it has both +2 cha and +1 int that you can't use at the same time
>Using these stats they've given themselvse 20 in both int and dex after only one ASI
>Allowing players to start with a stat higher than 18, as if starting with 18 isn't already bullshit enough

basically it's all shit senpai. Enforce point buy and proper tiefling stats, if only because tiefling would be used for endless edge otherwise.
>>
what level split would be best for a barb/rogue multiclass? going ork and planning on doing more of my levels in rogue than in barbarian.
>>
File: q.png (7KB, 168x299px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
7KB, 168x299px
At 3rd level a monk adds +20 feet to the movement rate or +10 feet???
>>
>>53345760
Aren't plain +X items boring? I find it more rewarding to make magic items rarer but when you find one it will have special properties and not a plain +X bonus.
>>
>>53353129
>Also allowing them to use +2 dex instead of +2 cha which is intrinsically much better. One of tiefling's flaws is that it has both +2 cha and +1 int that you can't use at the same time
Which is an official rule in the SCAG that even AL players can use? I know it's bullshit that the ONLY race with variant rules is the Tiefling in both official and UA options, but it's not that bad. Tiefling's are on the weaker side of races anyway when compared to Humans, Aasimar, Bugbears, Yuan-ti and shit.

That said I'd enjoy it if some of the other races got Variants. Dragonborn, Dwarves and etc. Maybe some kind of Strength Elf.
>>
>>53353236
Barbarain5/RogueX is always the best, though not entirely 100% necessary.

Starting with barbarian gives you +2 max health and better saves, starting with rogue gives you +1 skill and worse saves. I'd recommend a single level in rogue or barbarian and then getting one class to 5 before levelling the other class, but you don't have to do it like that exactly.
>>
>>53353253
+10.
>>
>>53353236

What >>53353292 says is probably the most mechanically effective in combat. Best to start with Barbarian as well.

If you want things like second expertise, reliable talent and other utility stuff quicker you can survive with 2 levels in Barbarian and then the rest in Rogue. The lack of extra attack shows but it isn't too bad considering you get an extra 2d6 and other abilities quicker. Only if you're going for a Strength build though.
>>
>>53353274
>Tieflings are one the weaker side of races when you compare it to the best PHB race and the overpowered volo races

Yuan-ti shouldn't be allowed anyway because it's ridiculous, variant humans aren't as powerful when you deal with the feat problem, aasimar are maybe allowable, bugbears aren't a problem at all.

You know what's also an official rule in the SCAG? Flying tieflings. You know what also exists in non-UA? Aarakokra. Yet flying can be pretty stupid as a racial feature if you're not careful.

Tiefling is pretty good, I'd say. Darkness once a long rest is great for warlocks who then don't have to spend a level 5 spell slot on darkness to go with devil's sight. Hellish rebuke is always useful. Thaumaturgy.. More flavour than anything. Fire resistance is always very useful. Darkvision is useful if you're not getting devil's sight.
They're on par with most PHB races that aren't the shit ones.
To be honest, giving +2 dex isn't too ridiculous, but when the player is so obviously trying to abuse the system to the max by doing everything they can to max out their stats before the game has even begun and is playing a tiefling no less you have to wonder if it's really okay to let the player do whatever they like with the rules that make a PHB race more powerful.
>>
>>53353322
Actually, only one level of barbarian can work for a dex build, simply for unarmoured defence and rage.

So barbarain1 or 2 + roguewhatever is fine, though the closer you get to barbarian 5 the further behind you're slipping on damage unless you reach barbarian 5.
>>
>>53353292
>>53353322
Okay thanks.

I was planning on going Assassin for my Rogue archetype, but was just looking at them again and the only helpful feature it gives me for combat is Assassinate, which seems irrelevant to me when I can prime advantage with Barb Reckless Attack, and the free surprise crit doesn't seem to good since it seems quite difficult to get a real surprise attack on an enemy, and it's only one crit. Would it be better to take another archetype? Anything interesting UA archetypes or stuff I could do instead?
>>
>>53353328
Really I see no issue with the character aside from rolling for stats and letting him keep those. That's pushing it too far.

I remember my DM was sick of people asking to roll for stats so he programmed something on Roll20 that randomly determines numbers that are possible with point-buy. Suddenly a lot less people try to use it when they can't get higher then a 16.
>>
>>53353253
>At 3rd level a monk adds +20 feet to the movement rate or +10 feet???

Only +10 from the monk class.
Otherwise check if he has mobile or is an Wood-elf.
>>
>>53353357
Scout could be a flavorful one. Also Reaction move is cool.

Swashbuckler gives you some fun stuff and would be an interesting character.

Thief gives you better jumps, climbing and sneaking to make up for STR builds sneak penalties.

The rest aren't really worth it because you want to be dual-wielding for damage.
>>
>>53353357
If you go dex barbarogue, you won't use reckless attack as often, so that's good.
Even if you're normal barbarogue, you don't always want to use reckless attack.

Assassin is fine.
Swashbuckler also works.
Thief might work but your bonus action economy is probably already full with rage + bonusattack if you're two-weapon-fighting + cunning action.
Arcane trickster is fine too even if you don't use BB/GFB and can't cast while raging because arcane trickster is more utility anyway.
>>
>>53353389
>>53353357
Oh, also, if you go half-orc barbarogue then assassin could still appeal. You might not get surprise often but when you do it's an extra 3d6 from shortsword attacks from half-orc.
Swashbuckler is probably the easiest synergy to go for as you can disengage with up to 3 opponents, even if you're tanky enough to stand in front of them anyway. And +initiative is always nice.
But arcane trickster is probably the best if you really know what you're doing.
>>
New thread
>>53353496
>>53353496
>>53353496
>>
>>53352383
Hitting cover works, but has nothing to do with crit fails.
>>
>>53353129
Just want to say that "feral" tieflings are the originals. They used to have a penalty to charisma for some reason.
>>
>>53345948
D&D: Oblivion
Thread posts: 394
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.