[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 30

File: 1493908370670.jpg (77KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493908370670.jpg
77KB, 480x640px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Mystic Edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>53319410
>>
What's the most fun race and background for a mystic?
>>
>>53328638
Halfling, City Watch.
>>
Reposting question

>>53328479
>>
>Rolling for stats fags consistently try to defend their out of date sacred cow practice with 'You're just scared that you'll roll shit stats!' even though that's not even a point
>>
>>53328657
Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss and Storm King's Thunder
>>
File: 1403900007271.jpg (146KB, 870x960px) Image search: [Google]
1403900007271.jpg
146KB, 870x960px
>>53328665
>other people find something fun that I don't
>WWWWAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>53328665
And you needed to bring this up on the fourth post for what reason?
>>
File: missing square.png (5KB, 301x301px) Image search: [Google]
missing square.png
5KB, 301x301px
I have a puzzle room where the center square is missing, ie the red lines on the picture are adjacent squares, and so are the blue lines. Does anyone know what it would look like if you were in the room?
>>
>>53328665
>plays game entirely consisting of vestigial legacy mechanics
>wants to slaughter another sacred cow to deal another blow to his game's "identity"

Are you still playing with alignments? If so, you have no right to complain about rolling stats. Also, you are allowed to reroll crap scores, that was a rule in fucking 3.5 of all things.

If the DM is forcing rolling stats and making you play a shit set of scores (i.e. nothing higher than 14) then you have legitimate reason to complain, but if you are playing in a campaign where both are allowed and another character decides to take the gamble and gets good scores, you have no right to complain. You pussed out, he took a risk like a man and got good scores.

Most point-buy faggots are communists who lost on the genetic lottery and hate rolling for stats because it reminds them how they roll sub-10s for every score.
>>
>>53328638
>>53328679

Out of the Abyss is really fun with a group who plays it correctly.
>>
Can you set up roll20 to use an isometric grid?
>>
>>53328776
>Are you still playing with alignments?
Does anybody anymore?
>>
File: 1386300716808.png (276KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1386300716808.png
276KB, 704x528px
>>53328665
>tfw you roll 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10
>tfw you are stuck with a 15 in your main stat and no dump stat to play off for characterization
>tfw it doesn't matter because you're playing a Loremaster Wizard

I honestly picked it because I wanted the knowledge expertise.
>>
File: obama_laughing.jpg (72KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
obama_laughing.jpg
72KB, 400x306px
>train for years at something
>only 10% better than someone who has never even tried it
>5e fags will actually defend this
>>
File: smug anime 11.png (720KB, 1002x1070px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime 11.png
720KB, 1002x1070px
>>53328798
>Friday evening
>posting on 4chan about a game you don't even like
>shitposters will actually defend this
>>
>>53328798
Are you saying Obama is 10% better than Trump?
>>
>>53328798
Well what's the task?
>>
>>53328815
Not an argument. And I play 5e every Thursday night.
>>
>>53328798
This assumes there is no DM to adjust DC properly depending on who is trying or to arbitrate the results of a succesful roll
>>
>>53328841
>adjust DC properly depending on who is trying

That's the function of a bonus, moron. A task doesn't get easier because someone competent is trying to do it, someone competent is more likely to succeed because of their competence.

Stop coming up with bullshit to justify the game's shitty math. What you are basically saying is that a dragon should have higher AC against commoners because they don't have proficiency in fighting.
>>
>>53328798
>train for years at a little bit of everything as Bard2/Rogue11
>Can literally never fail DC15 tasks
>>
>>53328762
In which room?
>>
>>53328837
It doesn't matter what the task is. If it's a DC 10 task, it's a DC 10 task. If you are proficient, you get a +2. So if you've trained for most of your young adult life on swordfighting, you are only 10% more likely to hit than some commoner who has never touched one in his life.
>>
>>53328776
>He took it like a man and got good scores

Say you want to do a three year long campaign and the DM doesn't do much to get characters killed very often. Whatever you end up with you might well be stuck with for 3 years. Well, better let everybody have their time in the spotlight, right?
So you take point buy.
But then this one faggot insists on rolling 4d6d1, and naturally ends up with high scores that are impossible for you to get on point buy and he pulls out whatever MAD class he wants to play that's usually offset by the fact it's MAD. Except they just negated that downside by pure luck before the game even starts.
And say you're playing a fighter. At level 6 and 10 you're getting an ASI. This ASI barely allows you to keep up with this guys scores - this guy has essentially just stolen your level 6 and 10 featuers while getting their own class's level 6 and 10 features.

Sure, you can just suck it up and not complain. But why should this even happen in the first place?

So now it's 'Be inferior or roll stats and risk being even more inferior to worsen the problem'. Or, I don't know, they lessen the point of rolling stats at all by gauranteeing you at least standard array. All you've done is lessen the effect of rolling for stats by half by chopping off the bottom half of the roll distribution yet leaving the top half of the roll distribution on top.
>>
>>53328762
Not really, assuming Euclidean Geometry.

I mean, you've got apparently parallel lines that -- without bending -- meet and then separate.
>>
>>53328589
How many fucking dice did you roll? Usually it's either 3d6 or 4d6 drop lowest.

Especially with 3d6 there's only a 1 in 216 chance of rolling 18 (plus 2 from your racial bonus I guess). Multiple 20s across the board seems really unlikely. Although I don't think it matters that amazingly much, the difference between +4 and +5 is really not so huge. The difference between +2 and +3 is comparatively more important.

That said I'm not a fan of stat rolling either. It's fun to get lucky, but it's also very painful to be the poor sap who's stuck with 3 penalties and a measly 14 for his main attacking stat.
>>
>>53328776
Alignment has no mechanical effect anymore and is only there precisely because it's a enormous sacred cow

Rolling for stats made sense for older editions because they were nowhere as attribute-focused as 5e, and the difference between getting either a 10 or a 16 was insignificant and unlikely to ever come up unless it literally barred you from playing a certain class
>>
>>53328888
Well a commoner has literally +0. A level 1 Fighter, so someone who's trained a bit will likely have +5 after Strength. So he's 25% more likely to hit and his attack will be dealing an extra 3 damage on the average longsword hit of 4.5.

At level 1 you're meant to be barely better then a peasant, if you want to start off as a skilled swordsman then you should be beginning games at about level 4-5.
>>
File: 1493553771872.jpg (40KB, 239x283px) Image search: [Google]
1493553771872.jpg
40KB, 239x283px
>>53328915
>"wahh anon's character is better than mine :^((("- you
>>
>>53328861
It doesn't. fucking. matter.

If you can fix it without any effort whatsoever, why are you trying to start the shitflinging this early on the thread?
>>
>>53328798
That's not how the numbers are in actual play, you blithering retard.
>>
>>53328798
If somebody can't succeed at something, don't let them roll.
If somebody is gauranteed to succeed at something, don't let them roll.

Use proficiency as a means to say 'Yes, you can roll this' sometimes - proficiency being a requirement to be able to make the roll in the first place, though untrained people can try something more makeshift.
>>
>>53328953
>Rolling for stats fags continue to defend their practice not by giving any reasons it's good, but attacking people who don't enjoy having to put up with their shit when someone really insists on rolling for stats
>>
>>53328915
>But why should this even happen in the first place?

Because some people are objectively better. Deal with it. Don't like it? Don't play in the campaign.

> and he pulls out whatever MAD class he wants to play that's usually offset by the fact it's MAD. Except they just negated that downside by pure luck before the game even starts.

Oh so you mean the shitty classes like Monk and Ranger are actually going to be viable? Oh, poor you! You can just play a wizard and be better than him in every way anyway, but clearly he is the problem.

>Well, better let everybody have their time in the spotlight, right?

The spotlight is a meme and has nothing to do with your scores. If being 5% worse at hitting and having a bit less damage, is ruining your time in the "spotlight", then you are just a shitty roleplayer.
>>
File: read my post.jpg (13KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
read my post.jpg
13KB, 300x250px
i had an idea to use legos as miniatures, seems like it would be way cheap and you could just make areas and shit super easily, then remake them into something else when you need to

im sure im not the first, so do you guys know a good place to buy them cheaply? shipping to the UK
>>
>>53328776
My own personal gripe with ability scores is it completely leaves my characters effective ability to luck.

If I want to play a campaign and devote time of my life I want to be having fun. Rolling presents the issue that there's a chance of having completely useless stats, compared to point buy which has 0 chance of that and can still be roleplayed fine. There's no real reason to use rolling for a serious campaign.
>>
>>53328947
Strength isn't the issue here. A commoner with 16 Strength from moving hay his whole life would negate that advantage.

The point is that pure training only gives you a 10% advantage over a novice.
>>
I use pointbuy for dungeon crawling and roll for my stats for roleplay.

FIGHT ME YOU FUCKING NERDS
>>
>>53328958
>It doesn't. fucking. matter.

It. Does. Fucking. Matter. Stop typing like Tumblr you immature autistic. And if by "fix" it you mean lower the DC arbitrarily for no reason, why not just raise the starting proficiency bonus. You're telling me if you take two men with Strength 10 and have one practice with longswords for 5 years and the other sit with his finger up his ass, the first guy will only be 10% more likely to win than the first? Seriously?
>>53328976
>That's not how the numbers are in actual play, you blithering retard.

Oh really? How are they in actual play? Because a charming titty dancer with 17 Charisma can out do your level 1 character who spent years practicing singing, just because she is pretty and charming. Explain how that makes sense.
>>
As human you could already have +2 to 5 stats with point buy leaving 2 of the 27 point left to make you not retarded in the last stat or use it to get a 14 stat
>>
>>53329008
You use lego to punish the players by using it as a walk of shame, if they use their phones at the table or are being disruptive.

Legos are fucking expensive, just go to Denmark and buy from there.

Also source on pic?
>>
File: asshole are you sure.jpg (73KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
asshole are you sure.jpg
73KB, 604x453px
>>53328798
Wow, you're shitting on the GURPS and on the D&D 5e thread simultaneously. I'm not even mad by now. I'm eager to see you on the WoD thread.
>>
>>53329058
Man, I sure wish I had the energy to completely lose my shit over absolutely nothing, purely out of my own choice and initiative.
>>
>>53329020
Because you're level 1, eventually that goes up at higher levels when you become someone who is actually skilled and is increased by your extra attacks.

Also the fact a PC has higher HP and they aren't meat points, so just because the commoner "hit" just means he made a kinda successful attack that took effort to dodge.

If you decide to look at the pure math it sounds retarded, in play though a level 1 Fighter being able to be overwhelmed by 3-4 commoners is perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>53328981
Except there is no rule forbidding a character without proficiency from making a roll, except in the case of Survival. And again, in combat everyone is entitled to a roll. You're saying a character who spent years training with a longsword is only 10% better than a dirt farmer commoner? Cause that's what the 5e book says.
>>
>>53328665
>Not playing low level 5e for that sweet sweet lethality and players roll for personality traits and stats but they can choose their background
>>
>>53329058
>Oh really? How are they in actual play? Because a charming titty dancer with 17 Charisma can out do your level 1 character who spent years practicing singing, just because she is pretty and charming. Explain how that makes sense.
Because she spent time practising dancing and charm? It's literally her living.
>>
>>53329002
>Because some people are objectively better
If imbalance is a good thing because it 'represents how some people are better than others', why did they even bother trying to balance classes in 5e? Of course, the classes aren't truly balanced, but they tried to keep some level of balance.
>Shitty classes like ranger and monk
Ranger isn't awfully MAD because wisdom really isn't too important.
Monk still has a role.
Barbarian is a good mention, as for most relevant levels they have the best DPR output. They also have damage resistance, but with good stats they also end up with an AC as high as 20 without a shield. Probably more like 18 if they just ended up with 18 in con and dex though.
Paladins are also notably one of the more powerful classes in the game.

>If being 5% worse at hitting and having ab it less damage is ruining your time
Think about it. With a -2 modifier over someone else, that can quite often be failing 20% more often. That's 20% more often than this other player the DM will say 'No, your idea fails' or 'No, you don't get information' or 'No, you don't deal damage' or 'No, the enemy resists your save and your plan isn't going to work now'
And why is the DM doing this? Because at some point a year ago you all rolled some dice and they decided you would be the one who should have their attempts rejected more often. So now the party asks Mr. Better Than You to do the checks.
>>
>>53329070
i was thinking more like jsut buying a bucket of old ones (from like the 90s or something), and just picking out what i need from there
>>
>>53329122
Why don't you just use something like BECMI then? Just as easy to learn, achieves the same results more effectively, and you don't have to ignore most of the system's content
>>
>>53329118
>You're saying a character who spent years training with a longsword
Level 1 characters have probably had years of light training, were self-taught or spend at most a single year of heavy training.
>>
>>53329058
What the fuck is the 1st level char's Cha? Give all the information and stop being a biased piece of shit.

Tell us how the bard character is outdone by tittty mctits.

----
It's how bounded accuracy is and is meant to represent the fact the party can contribute more or less equally to any situation.
>>
>>53329167

Not the guy your talking to, but I never thought of level 1's that way...

I just assumed they were freshly trained employees with 1 weeks worth of training.
>>
>>53329118
There's a suggestion in a rulebook somewhere that you should sometimes require a player have proficiency, i.e. for the help action. Skill checks are mostly the DM's domain anyway, so it's not like it needs to be set in stone.

When it comes to combat, the diffference between a master swordsman and a novice swordsman is more in abilities such as 'extra attack' or whatever.
>>
>>53329159
From what WotC gathered, most campaigns are low level anyways and never reach higher levels so that content was designed knowing it will likely be ignored anyways.

Oh fuck you're not an autist who plays the same campaign for years, are you? Why don't you play an actual superhero system because that's clearly what you want to be playing.
>>
>>53329208
Why does the thread today have so many angry opinionated faggots?
>>
>>53329122
Rolling for stats is actually perfectly fine in high mortality games. You get to roll for stats more often and all that, and you're making character ideas more often so the stats might help when you're running dry on ideas.

What really irks me is rolling-for-stats-fags bringing it into games where characters don't die for the entire campaign or so.
>>
>>53329198
The point it that 5e unlike some older editions starts a low level character as very fucking weak, which is awesome if you're like me and prefer a world where goblins can still be a threat for more then 2 levels. Some people don't like playing characters who can be killed by simple creatures and in that case either another edition or starting at higher levels are better.
>>
>>53329018
>it completely leaves my characters effective ability to luck.
So does rolling the action.
>>
>>53329058
Did you get btfo'd so bad and so hard in that other thread by peeps telling you that it's not as big of an issue as you think it is and came to whine and screech on this thread several weeks later?
>>
>>53329231
Is that why you're posting?
>>
>>53329231
Why are you power-fantasy "I must be heroic" munchkins so easily butthurt?
>>
>>53329242
Yes, but once you do rolling for stats and rolling for action, you get a one-off decide at the start of the campaign on who gets the loaded die and who gets the normal dice and then the guy with the loaded die has the loaded die for the rolling for action the entire game.
>>
>>53329264
I just told you an earlier edition can achieve roughly the same results in tone as low level 5e play and you got incredibly fucking defensive.
>>53329259
>BECMI
>"I must be heroic"
>>
>>53329111
Level 1 characters *are* skilled you stupid fuck. They aren't commoners. They are capable of taking on city guards singlehandedly. They have trained for years to be as good as they are.
>>
>>53329264
>Power fantasy "I must be heroic" munchkins
Who, the rolling for stats fags? I can see that, considering
1. Rolling for stats is the easiest way your DM will give you high starting stats
2. You get to be more powerful than everyone else
3. It's the best for metagaming - pick a MAD class if you get good stats, pick moon druid if you get bad stats.
>>
>>53329138
>Because she spent time practising dancing and charm?

Not a requisite of 17 Charisma.
>>
>>53329241
Solve this by getting the DM or you being the DM to give the players magic items off the bat.

Otherwise if you want higher powered fantasy in 5e, remove the three item limit and include all the item slots from the previous editions.

Bing badaboom.
>>
>>53329319
>They are capable of taking oncity guards singlehandedly
>And then a peasant with a sling comes out and scores a crit and one shots them
>>
>>53329186
>What the fuck is the 1st level char's Cha?

Does it matter? Why does being prettier make you a better instrument player? Yo Yo Ma is one ugly unlikeable motherfucker but he's a better cello player than anyone in the world.

>>53329246
No I'm back because you fags still ahve no argument.
>>
>>53329353
It doesn't really matter because they only are 10% better at fighting than that commoner anyway.
>>
>>53329310
>Telling facts is getting defensive
We all know who is defensive here. You're not fooling anyone.
>>53329324
That only really applies for dumbasses who say "if you roll low you can reroll"
Honestly a -1 or -2 in the d20 system is not that big a deal. Literally the only people who think so are the minmaxing munchkins who think a -5~10% success rate on a specific category of rolls will ruin their fun like >>53328915

Bounded accuracy was the best thing to happen to D&D
>>
>>53329374
Except the commoner rolled for stats and is now 10% better at fighting than you
>>
>>53329353
David vs Goliath the Dungeon Bugaloo!
>>
>>53329343
>>53329186
>>53329138
>>53329058
If she has Cha 17, that's already far far above the norm.

Even the 8d8 CR 2 bard from Volo's only has Cha 14.
>>53329058 is a piece of shit.
>>
>>53329381
>WHY DON'T YOU GO PLAY A SUPERHERO SYSTEM THEN???
>I'M NOT DEFENSIVE YOU'RE DEFENSIVE
You're a barrel of laughs anon
>>
>>53329397
Thus proving my point even more.
>>
>>53329421
>Even the 8d8 CR 2 bard from Volo's only has Cha 14.

That still negates the proficiency bonus.
>>
Speaking of Mystics:
---
Mystical Recovery
Starting at 2nd level, you can draw vigor from the psi energy you use to power your psionic disciplines.

Immediately after you spend psi points on a psionic discipline, you can take a bonus action to regain hit points equal to the number of psi points you spent.
---
I imagine this doesn't work for powers that are used as a reaction? You can't Bonus Action when it's not your turn, right?
>>
>>53329421
Except you can make a character with 17 cha using standard or point buy and picking a race that has +2 in cha.
>>
>>53329475
That seems logical to me inspector anon.
>>
>>53329358
It does matter because you're autistically flipping your shit and when you get called out to make a concrete example for comparison you shirk like a fucking coward. Because you actually have no fucking argument.

See the bard from Volo's with 8d8 and is a CR 2 wth Cha 14.

No, you did get btfo'd too damn hard and only decided to screech and sperg out several weeks later.
>>
>>53329381
It's not 5~10%. When you consider the mathematics about DCs and such, it's more like double that.

If it's about attacks, then it multiplies - +strength gives both damage and hit chance and a +2 modifier to strength over +0 can make a difference of 50% more damage.

On a monk, you're getting:
>Better dex save
>Better AC
>Better hit chance
>Better damage
>Better initiative
>Better stealth and other dex skills
>Better deflect arrows
From increased dex alone, and when you translate that to combat effectiveness that is vastly more than '5~10%' when you consider stealth can help them get a surprised round, initiative can help them potentially get an extra turn in combat, AC/saves/deflect and so forth can keep them alive for longer and all of these means they'll make more attacks of which deal more damage and have a higher hit chance...

Really though, the worst thing is overshadowing other players. Most good stories have even the seemingly weak and lame characters be good at something the others aren't.
>>
File: jackiewtf.jpg (28KB, 552x360px) Image search: [Google]
jackiewtf.jpg
28KB, 552x360px
>>53329421
>8 hit dice
> CR 2

This edition truly is fucked, isn't it?
>>
>>53329468
Can you further elaborate?

>>53329477
So it's a character versus a 1st level character? Then there's really no issue there.
>>
>>53329523
Only if you're an autist.

CR isn't directly related to an equivalent hd, you fucking retard.
>>
>>53329523
It's like the CR 12 Archmage that spellcasts like a 18 Level Wizard!
>>
>>53329381
>Bounded accuracy was the best thing to happen to D&D
>only get 20% more likely to hit during your transformation from a novice to a god of war
>despite spending years learning to sword fight you never get any better at defending yourself
>constantly getting hit by low-level gnolls even at level 14+
>being proficient literally doesn't matter because a slight difference in stat completely negates it until level 5
>>
>>53329535
I reread and realized I was confused my bad, the complaint is that a npc is almost as good as a level 1.

Carry on
>>
>>53329558
>Forgetting that HP exists and that you have way more HP at a high level than at a low level
Well, sure
>>
>>53329552
>CR isn't directly related to an equivalent hd, you fucking retard.

No, it's directly related to the shitton of damage characters deal in this edition. Which is part of why PvP is literally nonviable and making an NPC with class levels literally doesn't work.

5e isn't even a system, it's an overly contrived video game that completely breaks down outside of its strict requirements.
>>
>>53329570
>it's okay I never learned to fight with a sword, I have plot armor that lets me get bludgeoned to death with a two ton club over and over and suffer zero ill effects

Yeah good point, it's not 5e that's shit, it's D&D in general.
>>
>>53329558
Are you a retard or an autist?
So taking the bait, the 20th fighter has 2x action surge, 4 attacks and shit coming from their archetypes.

Don't be severely autistic.
>>
At what point do rolled stats become "shit", and what kind of party makeup would a different character that rolled good stats be better than you at everything?
>>
>>53329562
The cha 17 is beyond the norm as an npc. But hey whatever helps that autist look like an autist.
>>
>>53329598
When two characters with similar roles have differing stats.

Two fighter parties are awfully common, but also barbarian versus fighter or fighter versus paladin or sorcerer versus wizard or whatever.

It doesn't even have to be one player. It can be everybody in the party being better at you at some thing.

Also, don't forget. Some players simply play better than other players, so an unfortunate player who also plays badly / goes for suboptimal choices is going to be practically trash canned.

At least if everybody had balanced stats, you could take a suboptimal option and still be relevant.
>>
>Treating hit points as meat points
>Not treating them as your ability to to keep fighting

Do people really do this?
>>
I made a custom feat. Could I get some feedback?I mean tell me how bad it is.

https://pastebin.com/raw/2GUaa6LW
>>
>>53329576
Npcs with class levels are viable, there's no stopping you thinking they aren't but we can't stop a retard who is attempting to think. So points for trying.

Points also for the bait.
>>
File: 1494787728212.jpg (53KB, 498x558px) Image search: [Google]
1494787728212.jpg
53KB, 498x558px
I'm a 40k fag and haven't touched DnD or any high fantasy like it. I've GMd the shit out of Dark Heresy and Only War.

My group wants to try 5e, something new, and I'm the foreverGM. I have no worries learning the system, but what's the biggest changes I should make themeing and difficulty-wise to really make this a new experience? As opposed to DnD: Grimdark Edition.
>>
Should I get repelling blast as a sorlock or Darkness/Devil's Sight? Darkness seems good, but i prob wanna conc on haste and hex instead
>>
>>53329667
NPCs with class is actually one of the ways the DMG tells you to make NPCs. The other is build them like Monsters in the MM.
>>
>>53329633
I go both ways, to be honest. It depends on what happens.

Trading blows and having a fight go back and forth? Makes more sense for it to be thematic "how much further I can go," points. Falling off a cliff? Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to do anything but meat points there.
>>
>>53329710
You have to determine CR separate from their class features anyway, so giving them the features you want them to have and skipping the class contrivances entirely is easier.
>>
>>53329594
>So taking the bait, the 20th fighter has 2x action surge, 4 attacks and shit coming from their archetypes.

But from his practice he only gets 20% better at hitting.
>>
>>53329685
It's more fun in the sense that while there's tension, things only feel desperate and grimdark all the time if the GM sets the world up that way.

Kitchen-sink fantasy (which is kind of the default "assumed setting," of 5e, as with most all D&D) is a bit more...whimsical? than 40k.
>>
>>53329728
>Treating attacks as a direct swing instead of just the chance of the Fighter getting an opening in 6 seconds
If you use it in a realistic way those extra attacks are a reflection of him being 4x more likely to hit and being able to flow his offence better.
>>
>>53329728
What the fuck are you blathering about?
>>
>>53329685
Surprisingly, low level 5e is more brutal than 40k systems with their Fate points.
Make sure you let a few PCs die in the early sessions, show them that death is a possibility.
>>
>>53329713
Exactly

>>53329664
Lots of extra rolling for no real reason also
>Hijacking something meant to make a class unique
Even if it's hated because it relies on DM fiat.
>>
>>53329710
>>53329726
Which is why npc creation and monster creation and adjustment in 5e is so much more fluid and easier. It's fucking nice.
>>
>>53329728
Are we assuming this character started with a 20 on his main stat and a full set of feats?
>>
>>53329752
5x with the full suite and also with archetype abilities.
>>
>>53329820
>the 20th fighter has 2x action surge, 4 attacks and shit coming from their archetypes.
This is just what the base 20th fighter can do. The archetypes haven't even been decided yet.
>>
>>53329851
And no feats and no ASI mods. Just the naked 20th level fighter.
>>
>>53329851
I know, I was asking because that dude doesn't seem to care for extra attacks and doesn't account for anything outside proficiency bonus
>>
File: IMG_7468.jpg (22KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7468.jpg
22KB, 400x306px
Is sorlock for powergaming faggots aka should i stay pure red dragon sorceror or splash warlock
>>
File: 1468433968306.gif (565KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
1468433968306.gif
565KB, 246x205px
This fucking literal kike faggot in my group doesn't actually care how much gold he gets for rewards, he just wants to argue and get more gold than whatever I initially offer him. It doesn't matter whether I give him peanuts or a mountain of gold, every time it's the same thing. He'll demand more and then talk down on me like I'm some jackass.
>Really? Only 750 gold? I think it should be worth more than that, I mean with all the effort I put in.
>"Okay you get 850 gold."
>Okay thank you, that's all you had to do. Just give me a fair price from the beginning next time.
From now on I'm going to cut all of his rewards in half and then only bump it up to like 60%.
>>
>>53329876
Yeah, bro, it's because he's a fucking autistic retard or baiting if we're being generous.

Inb4 he was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: cyberman.jpg (257KB, 835x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cyberman.jpg
257KB, 835x1600px
>Artificer that's built their Servant into themselves to make them stronger (Maybe with sob story that they were a crippled since birth Gnome with an obsession with improvement or w/e)

>Mechanically, an Artificer with Mounted Combatant, they can't be knocked off their mount but also can't dismount even if they wanted to

DMs, would you allow this?
>>
>>53329889
If you have a wizard in the group, I doubt anyone will blame you as you're the "wizard but worse" class. If you don't, just keep it a pure sorcerer or ask your group instead of randos in 4chan
>>
>>53329890
>Giving gold to players
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Why are you guys so mean to the autists and retards ;_;
>>
>>53329889
Have you started the campaign yet or are you just planning to dip?
>>
Thorn Whip or Lightning Lure for my tanky gish?
>Thorn Whip is a spell attack that always deals it's damage
>Lightning Lure only deals damage if you pull them within 5 feet, however is a STR saving throw rather than attack roll
>>
>>53329890
>Okay you get 850 gold
You fucked up. Give him cursed gold next time he asks for extra just to fuck him over. just tel him he spots a jar of gold in the corner and he can check that if he needs more money and then make it give him AIDS.
>>
>>53329937
Im at level 6, just decided now that it might be a good idea to dip
>>
>>53329925
What, do your players go on adventure to strengthen the bond or friendship or some gay shit like that?
>>
>>53329958
What would you be dipping in for?
>>
>>53329969
Actually they go to adventures to unlock cyclopean secrets lost to time and history, full of madness and terror (We even use Sanity).
>>
>>53329997
2 levels warlock gets me 2 SP per short rest, plus the potential of quickened EB as my DPS tool instead of Scorching Ray. Get 4 SP if I go warlock 3 and pact of the tome for a bunch of cantrips, so deciding between those two. My problem with this is that Im basically spamming eldritch blast for damage entirely, but the alternative would just be spamming scorching ray so I don't see it as any more boring. It would be nice as a sorc to have short rest options
>>
>>53330064
That's just what ranged attacking in 5e is like.

Melee isn't that much different, really.
>>
>>53329928
Because we're tired of their screeching and want them to fuck off.
>>
>>53330163
Yeah, I've got no problem with this.
>>
Is an EK/wizard more worthwhile than an EK by itself?
>>
>>53330064
After this post I'm just confused about your original question. It seems clear you're hoping to powergame to a degree.
>>
>Okay you can play rogue as long as you promise not to be an evil murder hobo rogue
>Sure no problem I'm chaotic good

He then proceeded to break into and steal from most of the villagers in a small town, saying the gold/items would be put to use of the "Greater Good".

kill me
>>
>>53330298
Explain to him that that's not chaotic good and change his alignment accordingly.
>>
>>53330237
I guess so, I just wanna stay strong on damage but I dont wanna cause problems for my DM
>>
How lame would this be...

>players become lords in a city
>they know mindflayers have infiltrated the nobles/council
>crazy conspiracy batman encounter
>to his lair, whole band of them
>gives the players red : blue pill speec
>if they take the red pill it dispels their illusion
>the entire city is the matrix where people are harvested for their brains
>entering the city they were placed under an illusion and kept in a cage, where they wee freed
>>
>>53330220
Depends.

Fighter/Wizard is 'wizard in platemail.' You don't have the HP or the features to be a true gish, per se.
EK is 'fighty guy with a couple tricks up his sleeve.' You don't have the depth or breadth of spells to be a real caster; you're still Swordy McSword but you can cast a few weird gotcha!'s on the enemy.

As long as you know what your goal is, either's fine, but don't mistake one for the other.
>>
File: 1494979580897.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1494979580897.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>53330328
>>
>>53330320

Were in session right now, He tried to give our lawful good paladin some of the stolen gold.

And the DM has a strict you cant attack/roll against another player rule. You can see the Paladin physically trying to not smite the rogue immediately.
>>
>>53330328

I like it.

>>53330386
Is an edgelord faggot
>>
>>53330420
That paladin better be dragging him to the guard or forcing him to give the gold back.
>>
>>53329770
>Lots of extra rolling for no real reason also
>Hijacking something meant to make a class unique

It's one alternate roll (a d20 instead of d100). This table is only rolled when a spell kills a creature and the caster was already going to roll on the Wild Magic Surge table, I would not call that a lot. Only Wild Magic Sorcerers would benefit from the final ability so it's not really robbing the class of its flavor, really only supposed to reinforce it.
>>
>>53330420
Those who start talking about "the Greater Good" have usually forgotten what is great or good, and instead only care about their own plans.
>>
>>53330465

We can't roll against him on ANYTHING. Can't drag him to the guards cant tell the guards cant do shit.

>>53330478

We know
>>
File: fs14.jpg (40KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
fs14.jpg
40KB, 852x480px
>>53330328

Use The Question instead of Batman as he was the better conspiracy buff. You could even include a long coat or cloak, a hat, and a featureless mask enchanted to protect against psionics.
>>
>>53330420
Just get the Paladin to report the rogue to the guards.
>>
>>53330420
It's incredibly hard to spin the "greater good" angle while leaving a small village impoverished and potentially in danger if they have to buy supplies to survive.
>>
>>53330342
Thanks heaps for the insightful comments, bro!
>>
>>53330506
Leave the game, all of you start a new one without a shit DM.
>>
>>53330220
Not really until you've gotten to a level where you've decided you aren't going to get much out of levelling further, such as EK7 when using mostly GFB/BB with sword and board.

Wizard would then be pretty good for utility, perhaps.
>>
>>53330506
Yes. But he seems to have forgotten. Stay in town.

Have him watch the families who he stole from starve.
>>
>>53330506
Create consequences. Have a desperately poor man come up and ask the players for some gold while telling them that a thief stole all the money they had and now their daughter is starving.
>>
>>53330777
He's not the DM from the sound of things, so he can't do shit because the DM doesn't let the players handle these situations.
>>
>>53330836
He could actively seek out those families to give them coin and let the rogue see it all.
>>
>>53330869
>>53330836
>>53330777

Update. Rogue is killing a merchant for 'cheating him'.

Paladin attempted to leave before it happened so he wouldn't actually see it.

The DM threw goblins at him(The paladin).
>>
>>53330896
What the fuck? This is nonsense. Both on the Rogue's part and the DM's. Call them out on it.
>>
>>53330896
Cast nuke the site from orbit.
>>
>>53330896
Leave that shitheap of a game.
>>
>>53330918
>>53330923
>>53330931

Me and the paladin are friends, eve texted each other were not coming back to this game after this session.

We agreed to not cause a scene though so were sitting through this one until it's over. It's an hour left so we can endure
>>
>>53330967
>>53330967
Good, no game is better than a shit game.
Will you be running your own game from now on?
>>
>>53330967
Tell the DM you and the paladin head off into the sunset at the end of the session. Or don't because fuck those niggers.
>>
>>53330967
If you're not coming back, then go wild. Start causing problems for the rogue "indirectly".
>>
>>53330967
I'd make a statement by walking out mid game, this is some next level bullshit.
>>
So, giving maneuver's to all of the martial classes, is this a good idea or the worst idea?

And giving feats to monsters, is this a good idea or the worst idea?
>>
>>53331044
maneuvers*
>>
>>53331100
Don't bother with defined manoeuvres, just allow them freedom to improvise actions and set out environments which encourage that.
>>
>>53329319
No they fucking aren't you titanic retard. Level 1 characters don't know shit and they haven't trained much at all. Level one paladins have no oath and no spellcasting. Level one druids don't know how to transform, level one clerics have no channel divinity, level one fighters, rogues, rangers etc. have no archetype. The earliest a character could be considered a bit skilled in their craft is level 3. Just start your characters later if you dislike feeling non heroic. But at level one you're a glorified commoner with better gear.
>>
>>53328888
If it's a DC 10 task at +0 it's a 55% chance to succeed, and if it's a DC 10 task at +2 it's a 65% chance to succeed which is 18.18% more likely.
>>
>>53331193
Using actual coherent thought and reasoning is wasted on them because they just want to autistically screech.
>>
>>53329889
Depends on how much you fear other humans at a table.
>>
>>53331193
People always forget that extra 5% chance, it actually makes a fair difference in number crunching.
>>
>>53328888
>>53331193
Also keep in mind that it's entirely possible for characters to take 10 or take 20 on tasks if they have ample time to prep and aren't under stress. Most characters in D&D doing average shit either don't need to roll or can relax and take their time to guarantee success.

It's only during stressful situations like combat where randomness is modified by skill instead of the other way around; real life is quite similar in that regard. Every prizefighter has a plan until he's hit, etc.
>>
>>53331161
Mystic gets a decent amount of stuff at 1st level.
>>
Can people tell me how much my table will hate my character?

Champion 3/Scout Rogue X with Tunnel Fighter and Blade Mastery. Basic idea's to wear medium/heavy armour, run into groups, dodge and use Tunnel Fighter to try and get as many Sneak Attacks as possible while being hard to hit. I did think about Knight but multiclassing two UA's is a bit much.

Plus if my trick doesn't end up being useful I'll just wear medium armour and play like a normal Fighter/Rogue.
>>
>>53331329
If you're a team player why would they hate you?
>>
>>53331361
More worried about the DM, being focused on doing most of my damage outside of my own turn seems kinda gimmicky.

I'm sure the party will love having someone who can throw himself into crowds and lock them down though.
>>
>>53331329
Why are you afraid they'll hate you? Does anyone in your party have a predisposition toward what they see as abuse of mechanics?

Honestly, if you roleplayed the character's preference to get REALLY up-close and personal for some huggy-shanky, I wouldn't mind it at all.

Besides, all it takes is for one large enemy who loves grappling to decide he wants to give you a hug instead, and it can backfire. So it's not like it's a foolproof lolbuild.
>>
>>53331361
>>53331382
Alright well considering people don't seem to think it's too bad I'll give it a go.

Also I'll make sure to grab Athletics Expertise.
>>
>>53331014
>>53331011
>>53331006
>>53331005

Update

Turns out the merchant was a mage all along and was put here with his broken down cart to help us fight an Ogre.

Me and the paladin have given up on life already and were cheering at this point. Paladin's exact words were"Fucking yes, thank you (Insert god name here) for sending me the tools for which to relieve me of my suffering."

We have decided to go all in and were fighting the goblin horde + Ogre just the two of us. The rogue and the wizard are fighting the pissed of mage merchant, who has been revealed to be several higher levels than us. and the Ranger is trying to sneak behind the ogre to shoot him in the back.

This session is finally going our way /5eg/!!!
>>
>>53329558
>>only get 20% more likely to hit during your transformation from a novice to a god of war
Then all that means is they aren't a god of war and that wasn't part of the design intent. All you're doing is falsely attributing design goals onto 5e and saying it fails to meet those goals.
>despite spending years learning to sword fight you never get any better at defending yourself
But you do, that's what the Attribute increases to DEX are supposed to represent. Well, you have an argument for platemail strength fighters though.
>>constantly getting hit by low-level gnolls even at level 14+
That is EXPLICITLY part of the design intent. The only one who made a mistake here is you for choosing the wrong game in this case.
>being proficient literally doesn't matter because a slight difference in stat completely negates it until level 5
Whoa talent beats training at low levels? Who would have thought.
>>
>>53331484
Bro, he doesn't want to hear well thought arguments, he just wants to be an autist.
>>
I'm going to be playing a Knight because my last character died, I'd rather avoid being the generic Lawful Good classic Knight but I've got no interesting ideas.

Anyone have anything except Knight and Knight-Errant ideas?
>>
>>53331698

Be the Chaotic Good knight that follows the kings decree but only up to a certain level.

King asks you to stop the bandits attacking the grain stores? You stop them by burning the grain stores to the ground.

Stop the pirates assaulting the shipping lanes? Pay the pirates with the royal treasury to raid some neighboring countries shipping lanes.
>>
>Warlock doesn't get Conjure Lesser Demons
is this some kind of fucking joke?

Anyways I was considering making a turbo-edgelord Fiendlock who blows up his summoned Dretches to get back HP, but evidently that's not an option without multiclassing. (It's a full-on hammy one-shot so I've decided if I do choose this one to go all out with the obnoxious evul, snively whiplash mustache twirling and everything)

So, of the following, which seems best?
>Black Dragonborn
>Dragon Sorcerer 6/Fighter 2/Warlock X
>Fighter 2/Fiendlock 5 or 6/Dragon Sorcerer X

>Blue Dragonborn
>Sea Sorcerer 6/Fighter 2/Warlock X

Other meme-tier builds are welcome, I'm still pretty much completely undecided on what I want to play.
>>
Blogpost time.
Ever since my friends and I started playing 3 years ago, I've been perma-DM for all but maybe two sessions. In this time I've never really felt like I've "won" a game or a session until now. Yeah I've killed PCs who acted like idiots and I've wrapped up interesting NPC character arcs, but nothing super fulfilling.
My players yesterday ran into a Young Green Dragon and instead of killing it, decided to make a business deal with it. I was just going to have the green dragon kill the players when they returned with their part of the deal, but I thought of something more interesting.
One of the players is kind of naive about dragons, believing "Hey if a dragon doesn't kill us on sight, it must be good right?" This same player tries to make his PC a good person, not killing humans who do him no wrong, having mercy for people who surrender, etc.. Now a small battle was about to break out and this player didn't really have anything to do with the issue so he was going to ride off to the neighboring town and wait it out.
When the dragon heard of this, he quickly flew out to the player and convinced him to fight (I read some quotes from the Bhagavad Gita. If you know the story then you should see the parallels). The player got to ride the dragon around the battle and kill dozens of people, and at the very end the enemy general got pinned down by the dragon rider and threw down his weapon. The dragon convinced his rider to immediately kill the general outright. Afterward as the important characters discussed what to do with the POWs, the dragon convinced the player to abstain from voting, allowing him to tip the vote toward executing all of the prisoners.
Kind of silly but I think I played the dragon very well, being able to convince a player to throw away his morals. This is the only time I've really felt like I "won" as a DM.
>>
File: 1492210496048.png (221KB, 805x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1492210496048.png
221KB, 805x1028px
>>53331766
>burning grain and letting bandits go is CG
Why do we give autists an easily misunderstandable """""morality""""" system so they can be evil while arguing that the 9 blocks say they're not?
>>
File: 844894654.jpg (69KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
844894654.jpg
69KB, 1000x667px
>>53331808

It was just an Idea. Sorry I triggered you.
>>
>>53331698
If you want to avoid lawful, you'll have to avoid being a knight, really.

You could make it an 'ex-knight' sort of neutral character. Maybe they were on good terms with the king of a small country but then the land got invaded and their title was stripped from them, and they're left with a distate for that sort of society, so they're more neutral-good.
>>
File: micolash host of the nightmare.jpg (801KB, 1280x1387px) Image search: [Google]
micolash host of the nightmare.jpg
801KB, 1280x1387px
>>53329889
>not going for the majestic SeaGOO sorlock, master of pushes
You lack eyes.
>>
For an Oath of Devotion paladin, would be using deception/disguises to gain information or an advantage over an enemy be kosher, or is that lying and thus forbidden? It hasn't come up yet, and my character isn't the kind of person to think of that as a first tactic, but if the rest of the party is doing it should I opt to sit out or is it okay to help them? It'd probably be good to know in case it comes up.
>>
File: 1485714193097.jpg (83KB, 569x571px) Image search: [Google]
1485714193097.jpg
83KB, 569x571px
>>53331863
>>53331784 here

I considered Yuan-Ti Sealock but it's honestly just too damn cheesy even for someone getting summons on short rest.
>>
>>53331766
That's not chaotic good, you fucking autist. That's chaotic neutral at best or full blown chaotic evil.
>>
>>53331867
Yeah its lying and you shouldn't do it

If someone else does it its fine (you can't really expect every other player to never use Deception) but you shouldn't be asking for it, encouraging it or condoning it
>>
>>53331698
You know the term freelance? A lance was a weapon, but it was also a term for a squad of people from an individual lord, or company, or lesser group participating in a battle for the service of one side or another.

You know what happens when the war is over, and the money stops flowing? The lance moves on to far off conflicts, not beholden ideologically to one king or another, a free lance.
>>
>>53331766
>Chaotic Good
>Is actually Chaotic Retarded

Anta baka?
>>
>>53331867
It's not lying. It's deception. There's a difference.

However, if you're actively doing it as a 'loophole' to get past the oath, that's absolutely forbidden. You don't become a man powered by self-confidence and will backed by an oath by cheating your own oath.

In the case you've said, it should be perfectly fine as you're not trying to go against the oath so much, really. You're mostly just concealing the truth rather than spreading lies.
>>
>>53331995
Lying and deception are EXACTLY the same thing
>>
>>53332005
Not at all.
Deception is misleading somebody.
Lying is passing something off as truth when it isn't.

Lying is a form of deception, but deception isn't necessarily lying.
>>
>>53331784
The demon summoning spells are in an unearthed arcana, I do believe, called that old black magic. Maybe they will be warlock spells when they go to print?
>>
>>53332032
Except misleading them is also lying
>>
>>53332046
Okay, here's an example:

A guy wants to find the door that leads to A. There are two doors. A bird tells him, 'I saw a girl that was going to A go through this door.'
The bird knows full well that the girl chose the wrong door. The man chooses the wrong door.
The bird has deceived him, but the bird hasn't lied.

Now, same again, but instead the bird just says "Go through this door it goes to A" and fucking lies.
>>
Can I run a samurai game with 5e? Are there any major changes to make apropriate?
>>
>>53331969
So a non-weeb Ronin?

mite b cool

>>53332039
I can only assume it's done on purpose to avoid short rest summoning without a hefty multiclass tax, same with Animate Dead (While Create Undead is fair because it has a resource cost)
>>
>>53328679
playing through a very fun round of SKT. Good open world and lots of player agency and DM flexibility.
>>
>>53332064
>>53331969
Alright this is looking like a cool idea. For someone who has very little weeb in them, what's a Ronin?
>>
>>53332162
Masterless Samurai.
>>
>>53331802
Sounds like the player is just spineless.
>>
>>53332058
Both are lies
>>
>>53332247
To know the truth is to know Zerthimon.
>>
>>53332281
That really updated my journal.
>>
How are monks this edition?
>>
>>53332375
Avoid Way of the Four Elements.
>>
>>53332375
bretty gud if they aren't Wot4E monks.
>>
>>53332375

Could be better. One of the worse martials.
>>
>>53332375
I cast stun.
>>
>>53332402
>>53332385
Will do.

>>53332406
How so?
>>
>>53332421

I've had some poor experiences with the monk, that and we just have to look at it objectively. Rogues, Fighters and Paladins are definitely at the top when it comes to martials, non-UA Ranger is definitely at the bottom, which leaves Barb and Monk. And I'd put Barb above Monk.
>>
>>53332415
At will stuns?
>>
>>53332466
Yes.
>>
>>53328780
What makes it 'correct'?
>>
I play with a group at a FLGS and this guy keeps showing up with OP rogue builds every time we go to a new campaign.
Me and a friend want to come in with something to top him, whats the most wrecking build for 5e?
>>
>>53332464
They certainly a higher hd, d10 at least. Should they get a bigger ki pool or have the ki abilities cost less?
>>
>>53332507
Fucking why?
>>
>>53332507
Tell me what an OP rogue build is.
>>
>>53332526

I think the Monk in general could use a touch more survivability, but I'm not sure how to implement it. Most easily, if they could use shields, I think that would be fine mechanically, but not fluff-wise. I don't think they need a d10 hit die. As for the ki pool, it's fine for everything except the elemental monk, which should be considered its own problem.
>>
>>53332550
Cause we're starting a new campaign so new characters. And we're both a little tired of the guy managing to go first in initiative and killing everything by himself with no one able to stop him.
At one point last campaign we tried to go diplomatic and he just killed the guy we were trying to parley with cause he knew he could take him 1 on 1 and knew we couldn't stop him without getting killed.
>>
>>53328762
I think the wall opposite would seem closer when viewed through the missing square, somewhat like a lens. I'm not sure what would happen when viewed at an angle.
>>
>>53332507
McGee Fighter

Crossbow Expert
DEX+2
DEX+2
Sharpshooter

Battle Master with Archery style using a Hand Crossbow for 4x 1d6+15 attacks at level 11-12.

VHuman to get there faster or Halfling for Lucky.

Without UAs, this is king DPR.
>>
>>53332058
technically, one is a lie of omission

But if someone gets their rocks off on being technically corrects, odds are they aren't a fun gamer
>>
>>53332507
That is a terrible idea but: Divination Wizard. There's your OP build. If the DM allows literally any UA without scrutiny, Lore Master Wizard, but prepare to be kicked out once people catch on to your shenanigans
>>
>>53332660
You could go Lore Bard 6 after Fighter 11 to get Swift Quiver as well for even more arrow spam.
>>
Why is it so hard to come up with names for people reeee
>>
>>53332507
Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky feat (and also the halfling racial feat if UA is allowed)
>>
>>53331863
>>53331891
Which one's Sealock now?
>>
>>53332719
Male names 1920
Russian names 1800s
Wu Tang Clan Name Generator

Just give them a name, no one cares about Riverville Thimblebottom.
>>
File: 1488260485165.png (31KB, 351x395px) Image search: [Google]
1488260485165.png
31KB, 351x395px
>>53332719
It's not. Just find an appropriate name from ancient/medieval literature or history and steal it.
>>
>>53332729
GOO Warlock/Sea Sorcerer.

Sea Sorc gets a thing that makes Cantrips with forced movement add an extra 15 feet of movement, GOO gets an Invocation that lets you pull people in addition to the normal "Repelling Blast".
>>
lost mines of phandelver or sunless citadel to run for new players?
>>
>>53332750
peanutty
>>
How can I make the fastest character possible?
>>
>>53332790
Tabaxi monk with Mobile
>>
File: 5e fastbaxi plus.png (286KB, 783x363px) Image search: [Google]
5e fastbaxi plus.png
286KB, 783x363px
>>53332790
>>
>>53332811
Also Boon of Speed at level 20 if your DM allows Epic Boons, but unlikely to matter since no one plays max level
>>
From a pure fluff standpoint, is Medium or Heavy armour cooler?
>>
>>53332819
UA doesn't count for official records. Disregard mystic, recalculate.

>>53332919
Heavy armor obviously.
I'm assuming we're disregarding reality and only talking about in-game fluff, though.
>>
>>53332919
Depends what you're playing. If you're a badass knight shrugging off hits then heavy. But if you're a lighter class then dodging hits is dope
>>
>>53332919
Medium, only because I think Half-Plate with padded leather underneath is the best armour.

Though Plate has it's moments.
>>
>>53332507
Want to be more OP than a rogue? Just be a fighter. Rogues are fun as fuck, don't get me wrong, but a fighter is better in combat than a roque.
>>
How much do you guys care about slowing down the game? My group just got to level 6 and the open world segment of SKT. I feel like I presented them with all the hooks that I want to use to expand the world, but they still have a lot of overworld travel to do. I want the world to feel dangerous, so travel will not be easy. I also want to throw some small dungeons in here and there for a good ol crawl. How much extra content is too much? Do you guys like to see main plot progression, or are you satisfied if the b plot and side quests are cool enough?
>>
Boon of Irresistible Offense is pretty fucking good.
>>
>>53333051
This, Rogues are better then average in single target damage but nothing special compared to most other martials. They'll kick ass out of combat and are awesome at playing around with the battlefield.

Which is fair, sneaky guy should lose to fighty guy in a fight.
>>
If I'm a Rogue/Fighter and I attack from stealth with an extra attack is only one attack at advantage or both?
>>
What is the best source book for learning about Sigil?
>>
>>53333098
It doesn't matter if things are "slow" as long as there's "pace". I'm about to drop a game on Wednesday because the DM doesn't understand what pacing is.
>>
>>53333145
One attack, after that they know you're there.
>>
Is skulker a good feat for a sneaky rogue? If I have the spare ASI for it.
>>
There any 5e material for brewing potions?
i want to play an alchemist, but all the custom stuff is bomb shit. I want to be a potion support.
Any tips, /tg/?
>>
>be fighter
>have 1 extra attack
>use action surge
does the fighter have 3 attacks total or 4 attacks total? I've seen it called either way.

t. anon the newfag of the western scrublands
>>
>>53333247
Yeah it can be pretty good, the main benefit is being able to hide while lightly obscured. That's any fairly dark shadows, light fog, rain and stuff like that. Means you can hide in a lot more places.

>>53333270
4, what mongoloids do you play with? It gives an extra action and each time you make the attack action you make two attacks.
>>
>>53333270
4 Action surge gives you your action back.
>>
>>53333270
If you have two attacks normally then action surge you get two more.
>>
>>53333270
4. You get another action. When you use the attack action on your turn you can attack twice instead of once.
>>
>>53333190
4e's Planar Handbook was decent, I believe.

>>53333270
I'm not sure if anybody answered this yet, but you get 4 attacks.
>>
>>53333288
>>53333287
>>53333283
>>53333294
Thanks. Always thought it was 4 and wanted to make sure.
>>
>>53333190
The 2e Planescape books, specifically Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil, and the Factol's Manifesto.
>>
Does the DmsGuild ship classic products outside of the US?
>>
How unacceptable is it to be a powergamer, to optimize, to minmax, to enjoy the crunch?
>>
>>53333405
not at all, but trying to powergame 5e basically makes you retarded
>>
>>53333405
Mearls will hate you for it, but no one else will unless you're obnoxious
>>
>>53333438
Elaborate
>>
>>53333405
As long as you don't start rubbing your character sheet against your crotch as you roll your 15th d6 in a single blow or try to solve every single problem the group comes across solo, you're fine.
>>
>>53333465
the ways to poewrgame 5e are either to intentionally misread the rules horsecasting or trying to multiclass, take feat combinations, etc to bring yourself up to still not being as good as a bard or a wizard.

The power difference between best and worst in 5e is not very big. Objectively, Wot4E, berserker, and core ranger are the weakest classes in the game, but all three of them are still perfectly capable of contributing to the group, unlike, say, pathfinder where you can truly make a useless character.
>>
>>53333499
What if I REALLY want to play a Swashbuckler/ Battle Master? Am I still branded a powergamer? Is powergaming truly a bad thing?
>>
>>53333545
Sounds like you just want to play a fencer. I don't think it's that big a deal.

One of my characters I played was a fencer who was drastically uncomfortable with the idea of pitched battle despite his skill. He was a valor bard/battlemaster fighter, which I felt represented the idea quite well.
>>
>>53333545
that's hardly powergaming, you're fine.
>>
>>53333405
>Powergamer
Unacceptable
>Optimize
Meme
>Minmax
Obnoxious
>Enjoy the crunch
No problemo, go right ahead

>>53333545
Trying to "optimize" in the sense of making an archetype as good as it can be is perfectly fine, especially when it's not one of the more powerful ones. Do you, bro.
>>
>>53333405
In my opinion it comes down to who are you playing with, if it's a bunch of other powergamers and such go right ahead. If it's a bunch of newbies or people just looking to have fun don't be that guy.
>>
Help me pick a meme build.

>Hexblade/Stone Sorc/Fighter SuperSAD blaster

>Champion Shield Master SwordN'Board Elven Accuracy critfisher

>Arcana Cleric/Druid 1/Fighter 2 heavy armored Shillelagh cheeser/"support tank" (if such a thing exists)

>Dragonborn Revenant Long Death Monk/Fighter 2 (for close quarters shooter) (Yes I'm aware Dragonborn is sub-optimal for Monk, purposefully gimping the build because Revenant is bullshit)
>>
>>53333465
5e on the whole is a lot less about numbers and the interaction between classes to create munchkin builds. This isn't a system for autists.
>>
Looking to run a space fantasy campaign in the vein of of Spelljammer but with the cosmopolitan feel of space like Star Wars.

I've concluded that I want to keep my systems in crystal shells, but I don't know how detailed I should make them. It's common for there to be just one main point of interest in a system, and travel is done between these points.

Spelljammer however suggests developing each crystal sphere as an entire system, since Spelljammer chiefly was used as a method of incorporating space into D&D and travelling from campaign world to campaign world.

Any suggestions of what method I should use?
>>
What's the best way to go about running a campaign for people that have never played a game before?
>>
>>53331411
>murderhobos put to rights by bullshit dmpc
Life, uh, finds a way
>>
>>53333770
Tropes are your best friend.
>>
File: malcolm1.jpg (282KB, 1191x1035px) Image search: [Google]
malcolm1.jpg
282KB, 1191x1035px
>>53333775
>>
Arcane Knight vs Warlock. Which does spellsword "better"?
>>
>>53333620
>Champion Shield Master SwordN'Board Elven Accuracy critfisher
This one.
>>
>>53333831
Do you mean eldritch knight? Definitely eldritch knight, bladelocks are dogshit whereas eldritch knigts at least function as fighters
>>
>>53333831
Stone Sorcerer from the UA is the gish for people who want to combine weapons and spells with each other. They're pretty much the best pick for a spellsword.

Though gishes are always the worst players so kill yourself.
>>
>>53333807
So kinda go for generic and familiar to them?
>>
>>53333831
Gishes are cancer.
>>
>>53333902
Maybe not familiar to them, but familiar to an average player. Go for those encounters of goblins, kobolds, orcs, or whatever, make the goals clear, present them enough detail and opportunities for minor mistakes or out-of-the-box thinking (like talking down an encounter, setting an ambush, etc.), toss in a colorful npc or two, and then let them go wild.
>>
File: 1458090446802.jpg (157KB, 864x905px) Image search: [Google]
1458090446802.jpg
157KB, 864x905px
Running my first campaign, first session was last week and was just a standard Dungeon Crawl, but now everyone is in town and I'm trying to figure out how to do non-dungeon based hooks and stuff. The world's fleshed out and I have plenty of notes, but the actual nuances of getting players to do stuff is making me a little nervous. Any suggestions? One player is already interested in running errands for a local Magic Item shop so I could run with that, but besides some isolated Side-Quests I'm kind of just playing it by ear.
>>
>>53333902
It doesn't necessarily have to be generic fantasy, but cliches will let the players pick up on what to do in the story and what to expect. Learning the mechanics isn't nearly as important as learning to open up and try out ideas.
>>
>>53333405
Power gaming in this edition equates to building a character with a high-damage gimmick that comes into play around high-mid levels. Boring.
Optimizing means finding some kind of niche to get good at. Getting all the skills, getting all the languages, or just putting your stats and feats towards making your attacks as good as they can be. Acceptable.

In my games, do whatever you want, I don't really care. The actual issue is when the player is a jerk, which often goes along with the symptoms that are power gaming, buy the actual detrimental behaviors are things like lying about character stats, purposefully "misunderstanding" they way your features work (to your benefit), pestering and manipulating the DM into allowing concessions in character creation that will make you more powerful, etc. To illustrate the difference, optimization is picking a race that has a +2 to the Stat youll use the most, which to me is just using your brain. Being a jerk is asking your DM to let you put both points from variant human into the same stat, so you can get another +1 to rolls as well as getting the feat.

As long as you're not being a jerk, OR stepping on anyone else's toes, you're good. I don't include stepping on other people's toes with the rest of the jerk stuff, because sometimes that can just happen unintentionally- somebody happens to take proficiency in the same skills as somebody else, etc. I try to give all my players equal time in the spotlight and it's annoying for me, and for the person attempting to specialize, when every time they attempt a roll the skill monkey steps in and goes "ooh! Me too!" And I have to make up something for why they can't also attempt the roll.
>>
>>53333836
I was considering Hexblade 1 or Champion 3 (or both?)/Oath of Ancients for crit smites but maybe plain Champion would be fun with creative play.
>>
>>53333620
Critfisher is always fun, take a couple levels in barb for reckless attack.
>>
>>53334041
Taking both doesn't help RAW, so make sure your DM is cool with it.
>>
>>53334057
Yeah Hexblade 1 is just for CHA sword attacks, we're going point buy (and told "this is a mostly combat mini campaign/more-than-one shot so cheese to your heart's content") so I can't really afford to go MAD if I can avoid it.
>>
Fuck
What if one of my casters has a Magic Circle and the dual Displacer Beast encounter ends up a one-sided boring beating?
Also, how hard is a dual Displacer Beast encounter for levels from 3 to 6?
>>
File: leaves.jpg (174KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
leaves.jpg
174KB, 1600x1200px
>Rather than shape metal, elves in this region create weapons and armor from the plants, using strange magics to shape massive leaves into shields, armor, and weapons. The end result is an incredibly lightweight set of gear, however it's very awkward to wield these weapons for someone who hasn't trained to use them

Thoughts?
>>
>>53333963
>>53333982
Okay, would it better if I give them some simple characters with kinda basic stuff for them to get accustomed to playing the game?
>>
>>53334252
Seems like a unwieldy mithril.
>>
>>53334292
Don't give them characters, but walk them through character creation, maybe limiting them to PHB stuff.
>>
>>53334229
>THE dual displacer beast encounter
From a module? Also, if you know beforehand that your party has, and will use, something that makes a certain encounter trivial and boring, change it up. 2 displacers and a couple of mooks with swords and bows should make it interesting, but still doable for a party of lvl 3-6.
>>53334252
Sounds fine, are you expecting the players to encounter these things and use them, or is it just fluff? If the first, they should maybe have their own proficiency like simple or martial weapons. The party could gain that proficiency if they practice during their downtime.
>>
I'm a new DM and I've got a party of a Wizard, a Monk, a Fighter and a Revised Ranger. Everyone except me and the Wizard are new to ttrpgs and I've only got some experience with 5e.

The Wizard's known for being a bit of a powergamer and I'm just wondering, will he overshadow other PC's to a huge degree? He's playing an Enchanter if that changes anything.
>>
>>53334451
There are worse things than an enchanter. He probably won't be too bad if he doesn't do any multiclassing shenanigans.
>>
>>53334252
Sounds lame. I get that elves are nature spirits or whatever, but not everything has to be made out of plants.
>>
>>53334451
Try to engage the other players more than the wizard. Start them in a wilderness, let the ranger lead them to their dungeon. Fight some archers, let the fighter draw their fire and tank their hits with his armor and higher hP. In the dungeon, have some obstacles that require acrobatics checks to get through so the monk can get up there and hit the button that lets his party through. Let the players get acquainted with what their characters are capable of, and prompt them if they're not picking up on it- flat out tell them, your character has a feature that can help you guys in this situation.

What level is the party? If they're low level I imagine the wizard has mostly blasting cantrips, give him his own small targets that target him specifically that he can take out easily so he doesn't get involved with the shot the rest of the players are dealing with- like attack dogs that come up from behind.
>>
For a Standard Array Monk, should I put the 14 in CON or WIS?
>>
>>53334584
Depends on where your race puts your stat bonuses.
>>
i am not enjoying my 5e group

it turned from something i looked forward to every week to something i just get frustrated thinking about having to attend.

i hate to have to sit down for 4-6 hours doing something i'm not interested in when i could be doing something else fun instead.

only reason i don't leave is because i promised one of my friends in the group i would commit to playing a full campaign, but the dm chose to run a super long campaign.

dunno what to do, maybe i got the spergs or something because this feels like a stupid thing to talk about. but i feel like it would be really lame of me to just drop out. what would you guys advise?
>>
Should I allow the Weapon Feats from UA in my games?
>>
>>53334638
Sure, they're less broken than the ones in the book
>>
>>53334602
Elf with +1 CON instead of WIS or INT.

So I'm thinking
>12 STR
>18 (15 +2 (elf) +1 (elven accuracy at 4)) DEX
>14 (+1 Subrace) CON
>10 INT
>14 WIS
>8 CHA
>>
>>53334634
>4-6 hours doing setting you're not interested in
Meaning you don't like dnd 5e? If there's another system you wanna play, cook up another game and ask your group if they'd want to play.

Out of my group, 6 people, 4 of us regularly DM games, one guy is learning a system to teach us, the last guy runs a store and doesn't have a lot of free time so we don't expect him to run anything for us.
We have three "main" games that we play for a few months then switch off, which lets forever DMs get to play, as well as give us time to plan the next chunk of game. We also have several smaller games that we go back and forth with depending on who's available to play on off days, and they're all in different systems. WoD, 5e, Godbound, Deadlands, Cypher, etc. Try this with your group.
>>
>>53334693
Why even bother switching the con and wis bonus if the result is the same?

Sounds good though.
>>
>>53334730
Because its a Revenant Elf.
>>
>>53334693
So the final point of CON would put you at 15, or 16?
If 16, put it in there. That'll be enough for the rest of the game basically. Rest of your ASIs can go to dex and wis.

If 15, meaning you're either putting CON or WIS up to 15, look if there's any feats that give you a +1 that you'd want for either stat, and put it in there.
>>
>>53334743
CON should be 14 (13+1 Subrace) CON, I forgot to proofread.
>>
I'm playing a Wood Elf Sharpshooter. Planning on getting the Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy feats.

What's the best way to give myself Advantage in my super burst rounds?
>>
>>53334765
Ok, take the second option then. If there's a feat you think you'll want that'll give you +1 wis, put the point in wis so you'll get +1 to the wis modifier after you take the feat. If there's a feat you want that gives you +1 con, put it in con.

Things to keep in mind- monks get proficiency in all saves eventually, so you probably don't want resilient.
Check with your DM if you can take skill/race feats from the UA, which have lots of +1 skill options- but there are probably not many for con, so you may want to put it in wis.
>>
>>53334769
Mask of the wild from wood elf to hide, and gain advantage from being hidden. Also works well if you've got a druid or wizard willing to make things foggy or rainy.
2 levels in barbarian to reckless attack and get advantage on every fucking attack.
>>
>>53334846
Yeah pretty much all UA is given the green light, even cheesy shit (thus Elven Accuracy to bump DEX to 18), I'm sure there's a WIS or CON feat worth taking.
>>
>>53334870
Reckless attack wouldn't work with ranged attacks/sharpshooter.
>>
>>53334877
Forgot to add- I'm thinking I can probably get by with only 14 CON since I'll have Revenant cheese regen, temp HP from Long Death, and at 11 can tank 11 killing blows.
>>
>>53334877
You could probably take a skill feat that goes with a wis skill, medicine or animal handling maybe, give yourself some nice flavor.
>>53334892
Good call, that occurred to me right as I saw your post so I didn't have to go and amend myself.

Other things that could give you advantage as ranged- restraining creatures? Like ranger and druid spells? But don't knock them prone.
>>
>>53334933
I was considering Gorumand, freaky-ass zombie elf that cooks a mean steak seems like it could be amusing to rp.

That wouldn't be until I have all my other Feats and ASIs though.
>>
>>53332500
Same question
>>
>player brings a dragonborn they made
>it's clearly a lizardfolk
y
>>
>>53335335
To be an Omega faggot
>>
>>53335372
But y looks more like a gamma.
>>
>>53335335
Care to ellaborate?
>>
>>53335435
It had a tail. And it was digitigrade
>>
>>53335449
Oh, visuals.
Unless you're super-strict about adhering to the aesthetics of the book or the campaign setting.... I'm not sure where the harm is. I think stock dragonborn look kinda dorky with that tendril-hair stuff.
>>
File: ThatCyanwrathGuy.jpg (55KB, 651x729px) Image search: [Google]
ThatCyanwrathGuy.jpg
55KB, 651x729px
>>53335449
Furthermore he might be taking inspiration from half-dragons more than lizardfolk....
>>
>>53335548
Aren't half-dragons superior to dragonborn in every way, other than the mule thing, which doesn't mean they can't fug still
>>
>>53335564
>not only having sex that is open to life and free of lustful desires
Have fun burning in hell!
>>
>>53335573
Hey if I was a half-dragon I wouldn't give one damn. I'd war and fug all day every day.
>>
>>53335564
Yes. Yes they are.
But I'm still just talking visuals.
>>
Does anyone else just treat dragonborn and half-dragons as the same race?
>>
>>53335621
...that'd be kind of hard considering half-dragons are really only a template. That can be applied to other creatures.
You could have a half-dragon half-ettin or a half-dragon displacer beast if you wanted.
>>
>>53335643
Well, humanoid half-dragons then.
>>
>>53335653
If you want, sure. If I had a player that just really didn't like that odd dragonborn "lore" and just wanted to play a character with a dragon parent, I'd allow it as long as it still used the dragonborn player race stats.
>>
We're drifting away.
>>53335844
>>
What's some stuff I should know as a first time DM?
>>
File: laughing skeltal.jpg (15KB, 306x294px) Image search: [Google]
laughing skeltal.jpg
15KB, 306x294px
Thoughts on this? http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rk0LavTgZ

Intended to be worn by a BBEG that is a subordinate of an even bigger BBEG.

Wearing it is required to gain access to the big bad's lair. Grants beneficial effects in exchange for souls, and also saps the health of the person who wears it day by day.

Thoughts? Too complicated? Too strong? Too weak? Drawback too heavy or not heavy enough?
>>
>>53335932
Main thing - how do you feed it souls? How easy is it to do so?
>>
>>53335931
It's ok to say "uh fuck I'm not sure, what do you guys think?"
You're all in it together.
>>
>>53335972
Fairly easy, just killing someone while having the ring on I'd say. Maybe taking an action or bonus action to succ the soul of something that died in the last minute?

I plan on having the guy wearing it use his minions' souls to power himself up if/when he starts losing against the party.
>>
>>53328780
what do you mean by that?
>>
>>53335998
Looks cool man, just looking ahead to if/when the players get their hands on it.
Maybe either have the number of souls get "used up" over time (like it resets at the end of the day, or you lose a soul per day) or have something that means the player can expend a soul in order to do something.
>>
>>53336052
Yeah I was thinking about that, maybe 1d4 souls at the end of the day go away (taken off to Orcus, since the ring is only pretending to serve the wearer)? Just not sure about the damage per-day, I think it might be a bit high considering it can't be healed.

What if I made the damage LESS with each soul fed to it, so the player has to choose between killing things to sate it to prevent it from damaging themselves instead?
>>
So how do you get fantasy ground to roll damage on successful attacks
>>
>>53336092
For a PC, the choice of "to murder or not to murder?" is not much of a choice at all.
You could remove the save against end-of-the-day damage,then have them expend a soul to cancel taking 1d6 of that damage.
Keep souls and lose health, or keep health but lose souls?
>>
>>53334252
Sounds more like a Druid thing than an Elf thing
>>
>>53327126
>I really want to play a Rogue but don't want to leave huge gaps in our makeup.
Your one chance to play Rouge, and you blow it.
>>
So which UA classes are playable and not broken to all hell
>>
>>53333980
The DM for our campagin before I took over used a sort of a bounty/quest board for sidequests. I kind of enjoyed it, basically he'd list off different things people wanted done in town and you chose what was interesting and talked to that NPC to get more details.
>>
File: IMG_0366.jpg (24KB, 512x548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0366.jpg
24KB, 512x548px
Lets disregard the autism
What's happening in your current campaign /5eg/?
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.