[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 70

Fighter edition.

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>53268723

Was giving Fighters three extra attacks a mistake? Because it's so powerful, WoTC is afraid to give their archetypes abilities that actually matter. This is why Purple Dragon Knight sucks.
Extra attacks beyond the first should have been Champion feature only.
>>
>>53276216

Someone's feeling touchy.
>>
>>53276216
Nah if anything they should have given Extra attack 1 to Rogues at lvl 11-ish and Extra attack 2 to all other martials at that level.
>>
>>53276216
4 attacks is not the problem, 8 attacks with action surge and GWM on the other hand...

that said, i think it's somewhat fine, because you are sacrificing doing pretty much anything else to just getting more attacks and stuff.

if only champion gets 3~4 attacks, then buff third tier battle masters and EK accordingly.
>>
File: fire genasi.jpg (54KB, 564x769px) Image search: [Google]
fire genasi.jpg
54KB, 564x769px
What's a good archnemesis for an Oath of Conquest Paladin of Kossuth?
>>
>most interactions that would ordinarily require a full Action now only require a single attack
>if you have multiple attacks through Extra Attack, you can drink multiple potions, toss multiple items to party members, open or close or (un)lock multiple doors, flip multiple tables, and so on
>or drink a potion and attack
>all Rogues get Fast Hands for free, Thief gets some other shit
Thinking of something like this to give the martials in my group more variance in what they can do in combat beyond "swing at the guy". I know there's plenty that can be done outside of that, but being some kind of speedy object manipulation master would just crank that up to the nines and open the doors to the less imaginative players trying some stuff out, whereas previously only the "FightGyver" is playing mental billiards with every enemy and object in the room.
>>
>>53276283
all martials get a second or third tier damage increase though.

it's supposed to balance it out, but again, action surge+extra attacks with GWM/SS blows everything out of the water.

leaves you thinking, just how much better is a fighter at attacking that it can get four times the number of attacks that even the best of barbarians or paladins can?
>>
Daily reminder that Critical Role are hacks and the HighRollers are going to wipe the floor with them.
>>
>>53276312
A revolutionary or 300 spartans.
>>
>>53276283

What's the point of giving rogues extra attack? Any good rogue will be looking to build their character to always have advantage to trigger sneak attack, so they'll always get the first hit and the sneak attack on it. That second attack is practically 100% a waste.
>>
File: Aang.jpg (88KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
Aang.jpg
88KB, 1024x717px
>>53276312
A peaceful monk.
>>
>>53276283
Yet everything's balanced, except for barbarians and monks (And monks aren't supposed to be damage dealers anyway)

Instead, rogue is now great for multiclasses because of not having extra attack and there's decent reason to multiclass outside of some of the classes like barbarian.
>>
>>53276357
CR got me into D&D. Can't be all bad. What's High Rollers?
>>
>>53276351
Well Barbarians, Monks, Rangers and Paladins would certainly love to get their hands on Extra Attack 2.
Paladins mostly rely on smites for damage.
Rangers are reliant on their subclass features and shitty arrow spells.
Barbarians could get the most out of this with their rages.
Monks would finally regain the title of the class with the most attacks which would make things like Hexmonk godly.
>>
>>53276405
>Yet everything's balanced, except for barbarians and monks (And monks aren't supposed to be damage dealers anyway)
>Monks aren't supposed to be damage dealers anyway.

No reason for them to deal less damage in melee than a rogue tho.
One is a common criminal and the other trained to be able to punch through walls.
>>
>>53276446
Oh look, it's retarded.
>>
File: Highrollersall.jpg (178KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Highrollersall.jpg
178KB, 1024x512px
>>53276416
They're a Yogscast D&D podcast. They're quite good and have a pretty decent following.
>>
>>53276491
What's a Yogscast?
>>
>>53276491
>yogshit
No thanks, I had more than enough of that shitlordery when those yogstation faggots kept leaking to our server.
>>
>>53276446
>Deal less damage in melee than a rogue

Barbarian, levels 1-10, is the highest damage martial class on average.
Rogue, levels 1-10, is the 2nd lowest (Above monks) damage class on average.
After level 10 rogues get a bit better and barbarians don't go anywhere but barbarians are still easily better for damage.
>>
File: 1463820669726.jpg (183KB, 840x839px) Image search: [Google]
1463820669726.jpg
183KB, 840x839px
>>53276446
>One is a common criminal and the other trained to be able to punch through walls.
I'd rather not have a retread of "Well obviously this class should be more powerful, he can warp reality with his mind. That class just swings a piece of metal around really hard."
>>
>>53276491
aren't the yogscast the ones who got found to have a pedophile among their members?
>>
>>53276357
I enjoy CR it was the breaking point that got me into D&D. So if anything that's good.
>>
>>53276216
Repeating art? Do you just have a folder of 5 grey background pieces or are you spamming your own stuff?
>>
>>53276385
I think i'm gonna use this one for my Pally. Thanks anon.
>>
>>53276524
Wow such mindbogling sickness to give monks Extra attack 2 at lvl 11 at a point where they fall far behind other classes in terms of dealing damage.

Even WotC said the class was supposed to get Extra Attack 2 and a d10 Hp die.
>>
>>53276535
No clue. But then again, who doesn't at this point? I just watch the High Roller stream.
>>
>>53276357
Fuggoff Orion
>>
>>53276342
Just asking again just for more points of view.
>>
>>53276613
Don't Half-Orcs have that as a racial?
>>
>>53276535
If anything they just come off that way
>want some Jaffa Cakes lil boy?
>>
File: cinereo apparently.png (848KB, 782x708px) Image search: [Google]
cinereo apparently.png
848KB, 782x708px
>>53276312
An Oath of Ancients Paladin of Kossuth.
Remember: Kossuth has three knightly/paladinly Orders following different alignments (and also three Monk monasteries which aren't really related to the knightly orders but follow the same alignment/naming scheme anyway). They're all Lawful, but there's the Evil guys (Salamander), the Neutral guys (Pure Flame), and the Good guys (Phoenix).

The Good guys spend all their time trying to undo the damage that their "overzealous" brothers do in the name of spreading Fire everywhere. Rather than focus on the destructive elements of Kossuth's doctrine, they preach purity, wisdom, and self-improvement. Fire, if controlled properly, is not an indiscriminate destroyer; it can be used to burn away only that which is impure and to change or refine objects and people and bring them closer to the perfect form and function that Kossuth intends for them and the world.

Such a Paladin wouldn't just try to rein in the Conquest Kossuthan because he's being a douche and giving Kossuth a bad rap, but try to reform him and focus his efforts to more constructive pursuits. "Yes, bringing the entire continent under the blazing gaze of Kossuth is a noble goal, but let's try it without murdering half the populace. I know it's harder that way, but doing things the hard way is half the point of following Kossuth. Suffering makes perfect. If we incinerate everyone, they've learned nothing; they should be lightly singed instead."
>>
>>53276573
Nah I don't disagree with that, I'm just tired of that argument and the shitstorms it's led to.
>>
>>53276602
Heheh... I see what you did there... I miss Tiberius though...
>>
File: antipally.png (615KB, 825x1022px) Image search: [Google]
antipally.png
615KB, 825x1022px
>>53276312
An antipaladin. A Conquest paladin does evil out of necessity. An antipaladin is evil for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>53276491
I really liked in the beginning but when some players stopped showing up things get out of control + the story lost the importance and impact.
>>
>>53276622
This is also good, and I think I'll use that one too. Perhaps a Dragonborn Monk?
>>
>>53276357
Adventure Zone is much better than High Rollers tho
>>
>>53275337
Why are you such a little bitch. Tell therm straight you're a quitter so they won't have to waste time.

>>53275654
You better not be the colossal autist who shits over the UA ranger for no reason.
>>
>>53276659
>A Conquest paladin does evil out of necessity.
Have you READ it's code? Conquest paladin does evil because conquering and opressing people is fun. There's a reason they're called hell knights.
>>
>>53276729
>Hell Knights
that's only the Conquest Paladins under Bel. Some Conquest Paladins can be Good, because their actions are directly good, just enforced by strength.
>>
>>53276762
>Tenets of Conquest
>A paladin who takes this oath has the tenets of conquest seared on the upper arm. A hell knight's oath appears in Infernal runes, a brutal reminder of vows to the Lords of Hell.
>Douse the Falem of Hope. It is not enough to merely defeat an enemy in battle. Your victory must be so overwhelming that your enemies will to fight is shattered forever. A blade can end a life. Fear can end an empire
>Rule with an Iron Fist. Once you have conquered, tolerate no dissent. Your word is law. Those who obey it shall be favored. Those who defy it shall be punished as an example to all who might follow.
>Strength Above All. You shall rule until a stronger one arises. Then you must grow mightier and meet the challenge, or fall to your own ruin.

>All of this
>Good
Really makes you think.
>>
>>53276762
>the only path to peace involves mass genocide
>directly good
I don't really have time to get into a whole morality debate here since my session starts in 18 minutes,
but you're wrong and gay so there.
>>
>>53276803
>inb4 "there's nothing evil about making people live in constant fear for their lives and crushing hope"
>even if making people fear for their lives is explicitly evil and the other paladin oaths which are clearly pretty good (not Vengeance) take the exact opposite approach and tell you to kindle and protect hope, show mercy, and not to be a douche
>>
The non-evil paladins of conquest exist. They are called paladins of the crown.

>The Oath of the Crown is sworn to the ideals of civilization, be it the spirit of a nation, fealty to a sovereign, or service to a deity of law and rulership. The paladins who swear this oath dedicate themselves to serving society and, in particular, the laws that hold society together. These paladins are the watchful guardians on the walls, standing against the chaotic tides of barbarism that threaten to tear down all that civilization has built, and are commonly known as guardians, exemplars, or sentinels. Often, paladins who swear this oath are members of an order of knighthood in service to a nation or sovereign, and undergo their oath as part of their admission to the order's ranks.
>Tenets of the Crown:
>The tenets of the Oath of the Crown are often set by the sovereign to which their oath is sworn, but generally emphasize the following tenets.
>Law: The law is paramount. It is the mortar that holds the stones of civilization together, and it must be respected.
>Loyalty: Your word is your bond. Without loyalty, oaths and laws are meaningless.
>Courage: You must be willing to do what needs to be done for the sake of order, even in the face of overwhelming odds. If you don't act, then who will?
>Responsibility: You must deal with the consequences of your actions, and you are responsible for fulfilling your duties and obligations.
>>
>>53276613

Literally just have them do a Strength (Intimidation) check.
>>
>>53276843
All I know is that if I were playing a non-Conquest Paladin and I beat up a bunch of bandits, dragged them back to town, set 'em up in the town square, called everyone out to look, then started executing them by crucifixion / hanging / immolation to serve as an example towards any other bandits or people with ill intentions in the community, my DM would be making a note that my character is on the path to an Evil alignment shift.

And he'd make a second note once I started threatening the town militia and the mayor to give me complete control over the levy so that I can whip these sorry suckers into a proper fighting force and use it to extort funds and obedience out of the frightened townsfolk.
>>
>>53276803
>A paladin who takes this oath has the tenets of conquest seared on the upper arm. A hell knight's oath appears in Infernal runes, a brutal reminder of vows to the Lords of Hell.
Where does that appear? I can't see it on the UA anywhere.
>Douse the Flame of Hope. It is not enough to merely defeat an enemy in battle. Your victory must be so overwhelming that your enemies will to fight is shattered forever. A blade can end a life. Fear can end an empire.
Isn't striking fear into the hearts of your enemies something heroes do?
>Rule with an Iron Fist. Once you have conquered, tolerate no dissent. Your word is law. Those who obey it shall be favored. Those who defy it shall be punished as an example to all who might follow.
Just because something is undemocratic doesn't mean its evil.
>Strength Above All. You shall rule until a stronger one arises. Then you must grow mightier and meet the challenge, or fall to your own ruin.
Might makes right is a fairly set in stone law of nature.
>>
>>53276926
Not him, but. First sentence under Tenets of Conquest... You might want to make an appointment with your optometrist.
>>
File: Tenets of conquest.png (45KB, 347x273px) Image search: [Google]
Tenets of conquest.png
45KB, 347x273px
>>53276926
>Where does that appear? I can't see it on the UA anywhere.
You might want to get your eyes checked, then.
>Everything else
I don't know if it's funny or sad.
>>
File: creature.png (145KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
creature.png
145KB, 500x375px
guys i'm addicted to creating characters, i can't stop. i have more characters than is practical to ever play. i suppose it's good to have them in the can for when i need one fast or if i'm ever DMing and wanna fluff up the world, but damn, i just can't stop. i get an idea in my head and five minutes later i'm scrawling on a character sheet. I just really, really love concocting backstories and making playable characters to fit. I get a big sense of satisfaction from marriages of form and function.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
>>
>>53277039
>guys i'm addicted to creating characters
This is fine as long as you're not planning out level 20 builds for them.
>>
>>53277039
Yeah, I did that alot. Becoming a DM broke it though.
>>
>>53276918
If I did the first part my GM would say it's solid lawful good. Divinely anointed judge publicly executing outlaws? Classic LG. Threatening the mayor isn't nice, but neither is law, or good.

He's a Gygaxian tho.
>>
>>53276997
>>53277025
>Sometimes called knight tyrants or iron
mongers, those who swear this oath gather into grim orders that serve gods or philosophies of war and well-ordered might. Some of these
paladins go so far as to consort with the powers of the Nine Hells.
Why would they have this sentence imply they can achieve neutrality, then that one that states outright they must be aligned with Evil a few sentences later?
>>
>>53276926
At least read the damn stuff before trying to be edgy.
>>
>>53277100
>He's a Gygaxian tho.
See, that's completely different.
>>
>>53277112
>trying to be good
>trying to be edgy
pick one
>>
>>53277052

Most are level 1, a few are level 5, none are over 10, just because when my group does one-shots with one-off characters, that's the kind of range we have.
>>
>>53277108
Neutral Evil?
>>
>"I don't want to start at level 1 it's so boring"
what compels people to have opinions like this
>>
>>53277155
but it says that some go AS FAR AS to consort with the nine hells, that implies that its rare for them to do so. Then a couple of sentences later it says they all do that. Why?
>>
>>53277180
Level one being boring, mostly.
>>
>>53277180
>>
>>53277180
>>53277218
Forgot pic.
>>
>>53277181
Oh geez, maybe because this is Unearthed Arcana and the rules are kinda loose. But one thing looks crystal clear here: This guys aren't nice.
>>
>>53277180
Consider this. On level 1
>Most classes don't have an archetype yet
>Paladins don't have smites or spells
>Sorcerers don't have metamagic
>Druids don't have wildshape
>Warlocks don't have invocations
>Fighters don't have action surge

There's a reason most games either start on level 3, or get there within the first session. It's the level where your class gets it's most defining features.
>>
>>53277180
Because level 1 sucks?
>>
>>53276918
>>53277116
Publicly executing bandits would fall under Lawful Good in my view as well. Definitely on the Lawful side, but I'm not really seeing anything that would make it anything worse than Lawful Neutral.

Now, threatening the mayor, on the other hand, starts veering away from Lawful pretty hard and pretty quickly, unless the Paladin is acting as an agent of a higher authority like a count or something.
>>
>>53277181
Where does it say that? Seriously.. glasses, dude.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>53276357
>Mfw the producers force the players to try and recreate the success of CR
>All because everything has to follow a full proof formula or be considered too risky
>>
File: geodelaugh.jpg (79KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
geodelaugh.jpg
79KB, 500x461px
>>53277238
>tfw I don't even own a cellphone and the first level is boring
>>
>>53277267
>most games either start on level 3, or get there within the first session
Nigga, please. That's ridiculous. The point of D&D is to start as a nobody and become a god. If you get a bunch of cool shit up front, where's the incentive?

>>53277292
Some people can't be helped.
>>
>>53276515
Yogsstation was associated with the yogscast only around its founding. It's just a name now.
>>
File: 1421447780275.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1421447780275.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>53276491
>yogscast
>>
>>53277320
>The point of D&D is to start as a nobody and become a god
Where did you get that wild idea from? I'm pretty sure the point of DnD is to kill monsters and be heroes.
>If you get a bunch of cool shit up front, where's the incentive?
No, playing a figher who can only hit people once per round, every round, for the entire session, is ridiculous.
>>
File: pal.png (90KB, 312x210px) Image search: [Google]
pal.png
90KB, 312x210px
>>53277279
It says it right here.
>>
>>53277382
I meant the second part. That everyone was a hell knight.
>>
>>53277379
Well forgive me for wanting character development. I don't want to feel like a hero when I start. I should have to earn it. I bet you use cheat codes.
>>
>>53276656
>I miss the power gaming always have to be in the spot light cancer patient

Then again the only people worth watching on that show are Travis and sometimes Sam.
>>
>>53277429
Then you are free to start at level 1.
>>
>>53277441
I'd take Orion's power-gaming over Vax's EMO bullshit any day. Orion could improv. Tiberius vs Scanlon arcane quibbles? That was gold.
>>
File: dargon.png (997KB, 858x1030px) Image search: [Google]
dargon.png
997KB, 858x1030px
What type of things do your monsters and dragons hoard, /5eg/?
>>
What's higher level (like 9+) warlock play like?

I will probably play a Hexblade but I want to know what I should expect. I'll have a Flametounge to start off with at level 9, so I'd imagine a combination of elemental weapon and Armor of Agathys is going to be my bread and butter
>>
>>53277530
From my experience, you are even more irrelevant than on early levels. Our party's warlock started as a very questionable caster, but as the game progressed, he turned into a complete joke.
I don't know if it's a thing in different campaigns, but it coloured how I see warlocks.
>>
File: martin-sobr-illithidport.jpg (365KB, 1920x2485px) Image search: [Google]
martin-sobr-illithidport.jpg
365KB, 1920x2485px
>>53277516
remarkable brains.
>>
>>53277516
money and power
because man is the real monster
>>
>>53277516
Fragrances
>>
>>53277709
Is that a woman?
>>
>>53277476
Vax is complete garbage as a character mostly because any progress made back slid once the whole Raven Queen thing happened.

I just hope they hurry up and hit the end of the campaign to make new characters. I want to see Travis play someone who actually has intelligence because you can see when they make plans it physically hurts him.
>>
>>53277557
I mean two attacks per turn at +11 to-hit, 1d8+2d6+2d4+5 + proficiency if they're cursed + crit on 19-20 doesn't seem too bad man

It does just seem like they don't have enough spell slots, actually I find it completely ridiculous that they have two fucking slots to their name until level 11. Sure you get them back on a short rest but how many short rests are you getting a day?

I think the whole class kinda needs a revision honestly, compared to full spellcasters they do just kinda come off as a joke
>>
>>53277726
Travis really is wasted on Grog, I want to see him play an eldritch knight with 18 int or some shit like that
>>
File: Monsters - Young Green Dragon.jpg (108KB, 1000x626px) Image search: [Google]
Monsters - Young Green Dragon.jpg
108KB, 1000x626px
>>53277516
I've got a green dragons screwing with the party right now. He and the current main antagonist, a count, both believe they've got the upper hand in the deal they struck. The dragon, as a result, considers the count, and by extension the entire county, to be his "hoard," along with his business interests and the individuals he more directly possesses, being fond of "hiring" unusual people while disguised as a human.

He briefly but effectively manipulated the party, and would dearly like to reacquire their services, whether they know they're providing them or not. So his real interest as far as "hoarding" goes is collecting the services of others, even - or especially - if they don't realize they're helping him. He thinks it's hilarious. Second to that, he likes to collect actual, living beings, notably several hundred lizardfolk slaves, and as many seriously oddball races with unusual skills as he can find. He briefly attempted to buy the party's Dragonborn while disguised as a human.

In strictly material terms,being a green dragon he owns a ton of oddball stuff. He's particularly fond of human and elvish artistic creations, and his human alias is notorious for obtaining really, really tacky statues. His actual lair is much more tastefully decorated, and if/when the party finds it they'll be surprised to find that it's a pleasantly furnished area that wouldn't seem out of place in an elvish palace. Most of his treasure hoard is art, carefully - even obsessively - positioned around the lair. He likes gold, but prefers it to look like something, and is in the process of melting down most of his gold to make a statue of himself.
>>
>>53277758
Yeah, anything with decent intelligence would really let him shine and reveal that most of the cast are complete idiots. It sucks that Talisen is the highest intelligence in the group because he hardly uses it.
>>
>>53277763

Green dragons are my favorite because, just look at that art, you can immediately tell how cheeky those fuckers are.
>>
File: Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf (703KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf
703KB, 1x1px
Anon's high powered growing magic item Quest Continues!

>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

Virtuous Calamity changes
>Made Calamity's End once per long rest.

The Martialist
>Lowered the Awakened Lightning Bolt spell DC.

Loreweaver changes
>Dropped the 1d6 thunder damage
>(Anyone have a better idea for a final form improvement instead of the dice size increase?)

I was thinking to use Critical Role's Mythcarver's ability and give the Bard advantage on attack rolls with the weapon until the end of their turn if they use their Bardic Inspiration feature. What do you all think?
>>
>>53277876
It's funny, I think that Travis' acting side loves Grog since he gets to be inventive in that fashion. I mean, just look at his improv when Vex showed him the real DomT "You found another one?!". That's gold, and a great character moment. But the intellectual side of Travis is obviously chafing under Grog's 6 Int.
>>
>>53278050
>>53277876
See I disagree. I think a low INT high STR character is great for him, provided he has something to HIT! The rest spend so much time "planning" that nothing get's accomplished. They haven't had a proper fight in what... a month?
>>
>>53277954
It's time to stop.
>>
Still no serious game being advertised?
>>
File: STOP POSTING.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
STOP POSTING.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>53278127
You forgot your gif!

Also, I can't stop I'm too dedicated and having too much fun making these at this point.
>>
File: dude stop.jpg (17KB, 280x373px) Image search: [Google]
dude stop.jpg
17KB, 280x373px
>>53277954
>>
>>53278206
At least get a trip so I can filter you then.
>>
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I effectively roleplay neutral good?

I feel like my character is a rather boring goody two-shoes, and though it feels nice being the moral voice among chaotic neutral and neutral characters, I feel like I need some kind of edge.
>>
>>53278313
If you wanna be edgy just play chaotic good. Neutral good is basically Spider-Man.
>>
If I played a druid and multiclassed monk, would I be able to bring my martial arts into my wild shape?
>>
>explain simple plot
>players never know what's happening

I could understand if the plot was crazy, but when I'm dumb shut down to what basically is a fetch quest / kill monster in dungeon and they don't k ow why, it really grinds my gears

Know what else grinds my gears?

When I make a cool item, with tons of uses and to moments, introduces an otherworldly noc and they just never use it
>>
>>53278356
A natural weapon (a claw, horn, bite, etc.) is not an unarmed strike, so unless it's something with just fists and feet (ape?) the answer is no.
>>
>>53278356
most dms will let you.
>>
>>53278388
How about you break their cellphones? that usually gets their attention.
>>
>>53277891
That was a decent portion of the reason I went with Green. Conniving, manipulative, but also fun to play as the DM. By the time they finished meeting the dragon (in his human guise, of course), one of them - usually fairly savvy - came away from it convinced that he was a good guy, and all of them completely fell for his ploy.

I'm personally somewhat proud of that one - he offered to pay them to go kill some elf "raiders" that had supposedly been attacking his deliveries, and of course they agreed, figuring that if he was a bad guy they could just turn on him, and in any case it was a fantastic excuse to get out of the city. He "helpfully" sent two of his personal guardsmen with them, and of course they turned on them and looted them when it became clear he was actually sending them on a hunt for what were essentially insurgents. Most notable of the loot were two elegant +1 daggers.

At no point did anyone in the party even attempt to see if anything was odd about these despite the Dragonborn using Detect Magic multiple times in other situations.

They were tracking devices, and they led the dragon straight to the otherwise well-hidden fort/refugee camp/resistance base. Only one of the players figured it out, and that was OOC. The rest figured out something was screwy when they were getting ambushed by the count's or dragon's troops in a trackless swamp.
>>
>>53278484
Tracking device knives! That's good, that's good. I'm really interested in the idea of using magical items as substitutes for modern technology.

One thing I really want to do is create twin handheld talismans. When one is grasped tightly, the other vibrates, kind of like a phone. My intention is for people in the world to use them like telegraphs, because they can send binary messages. Fantasy-land Morse Code would be a language that player characters could learn like any other (but sending messages would take time, as would decoding them). Players could also establish simpler, more immediate codes, like three quick buzzes means help, two short and one long means , etc., shave and a haircut means

The talismans would have extremely long range, but the signals would take time to travel. Signal speed would be one mile per minute, or 88 feet per second. So if you're just buzzing your friend in another room, it's instant. If you're trying to tell the brigand who hired you to find their lost caravan that it's been abducted by gnolls, it would take about one minute to say "GNOLLS TOOK CART," and if you're fifty miles away, it would take almost an hour to reach him. And then, of course, you'd have to hope that the talisman is on them at the moment, otherwise they wouldn't know you're contacting them.

My setting is very inspired by nineteenth-century Appalachia (not in a steampunk way, more in a cultural way) so I'm trying to work in a lot of its crucial notes.
>>
File: Dragonborn skelly.jpg (82KB, 492x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonborn skelly.jpg
82KB, 492x600px
What are some nifty or spooky items, trinkets, or knickknacks that could adorn a mini-museum inside a noble's manor? Ideally non-magical and more "strangeness of the world" type stuff.
>>
>>53278870
Nábrók.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A1br%C3%B3k
>>
>>53278870
shrunken heads, bone carvings, odd idols from foreign lands, now with a twist, goblin heads, giant bones, kuo-toa idols, etc.
>>
>>53278120
The problem is Travis is pretty smart and he shows it in the evil one shot Liam ran. All the eye rolling and sighing during planning is because he knows the plans are shit but doesn't break character.

>>53278050
Yes he definitely enjoys it most of the time, it's just when people are taking for ever and they come up with a half assed plan that falls apart after the first move.
>>
>>53278870
>>53278957
also, musical instruments, pieces of garment/armor, assorted religious paraphernalia.
>>
File: fop.jpg (26KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
fop.jpg
26KB, 333x500px
>>53278870

Preserved body parts are always a splash. A hand preserved in brine, a petrified abscess, eyes that bob in jars, a Lenin-esque mummy, that kind of thing.

Other ideas:
>A hall of broken phylacteries, their pieces recovered from wherever they were destroyed
>An armory comprised of weapons whose wielders committed suicide with them
>This fucker in the picture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrodysplasia_ossificans_progressiva
>>
File: OC2PO.jpg (60KB, 460x323px) Image search: [Google]
OC2PO.jpg
60KB, 460x323px
>>53278751
That's an interesting concept. Very limited use though, as there would only be two.

>>53278870
If you have non-humans in your group, then a skeleton of that race. Something that makes one character go, "huh..."
Or a collection of preserved sprites set like butterflies. Or is this a good guy?
>>
>>53278388
Neutral good, to me at least, is definitely more good and law abiding. However as a neutral good character you aren't afraid to bend a few rules if not out right break them if it gets better results.

Pretty much your an upstanding guy, but your not above working with some less than reputable people if it gets he job done.
>>
>>53278979
>Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva
that looks incredibly painful.
>>
>>53279067
>The best known FOP case is that of Harry Eastlack (1933–1973). His condition began to develop at the age of ten, and by the time of his death from pneumonia in November 1973, six days before his 40th birthday, his body had completely ossified, leaving him able to move only his lips.

For him.
>>
>>53279077
Yeah, but he could fuck for days.
>>
File: shinejob.jpg (33KB, 360x274px) Image search: [Google]
shinejob.jpg
33KB, 360x274px
>SKT
>Dwarf Fighter/Shadow Monk riding an Axebeak
>boarding a boat full of ballistas from our airship
>they fire on the party; everyone gets hit but the guy with Deflect Arrows, fullplate, and a shield
>hop on deck with all the ballista fuckers and shove two of them overboard
>party does shit; Wizard gets yanked over by a merrow's harpoon but grabs on to one of the ropes I cleverly tied all over our airship
>next turn, remaining two ballista guys fire at our airship
>one gets reaction-killed because I guess the DM figures firing a ballista next to an angry man on a bird is a bad idea; second one misses
>hop away from him since he's got to reload and go below deck
>there's a bisected man because our Wizard made a Wall of Force to buzzsaw through the side of their boat; it's now chopping the crow's nest in half
>spellcaster in the captain's quarters
>it's night, we're in a storm, we're below decks
>riddick.bat
>teleport off my Axebeak and clown him in the face with a warhammer
>STUNNING BLOW
>auto-disarm his fucking wand
>Axebeak pecks him for good measure
>Wall of Force protecting the boat from our airship goes down now that the caster is incapacitated
>spellcaster proceeds to be stunlocked into oblivion
It feels so good fighting something other than giants.
>>
I tried to draw my character's tower shield with a moose head emblem on it and my group is all making fun of me saying it looks terrible and like a uterus.

Should I just scrap my drawing and kill myself? Is it really as bad as people are saying?

Would anyone with real artistic ability be willing to do me a quick tower shield sketch?
>>
>>53276357
>wipe the floor with Critical Role
>no Matt Mercer
>no Sam
>no Travis
No bueno.
>>
>>53279167
Add more detail ya jackaloon
>>
>>53279167
Put facial features on the moose and it'll be fine.
>>
>>53279167

I'm sorry man but it really does look like a uterus. But that's just because it's a silhouette.

Just draw the moose's face and it'll be a lot better.
>>
File: STAR_GENTLE_UTERUS.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
STAR_GENTLE_UTERUS.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>53279167
Your friends don't know what a uterus looks like.
>>
How come /5e/ is so autistic about people having badwrongfun? Like for an edition that is very "build it your way and wing it" people sure get mad when new stuff or different ideas come forth.
>>
>>53279206
Becuase a lot of them are pf tier and people came to 5e to get away from that.
>>
>>53279167

Kill yourself? No.

Does it look like a Uterus? Omg yes.

I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag, so good luck.
>>
>>53277741
We houseruled spell slots equal to prof bonus. Worked well.
>>
>>53279167
am i the only nigga who knows what a uterus is
>>
>>53279167
just draw the moose's fucking face, it's not that hard.
>>
>>53279167
Go for a Profile of a moose
>>
>>53279167
Just leave it as is, and call yourself the Pussy Protector.
>>
File: 1430166869948.png (636KB, 435x762px) Image search: [Google]
1430166869948.png
636KB, 435x762px
How many if any players should get these before they go on an arctic adventure
>>
>>53276216
I always figured fighters should be really good at fighting. Like probably better than anyone else.

All of the other classes offer different utility and flavor, but fighter is really dry outside of combat. Honestly I'm not sure it should even exist as a class because of of how skewed it is towards a single aspect of the game, but that's a different discussion
>>
>>53279365
I'm looking now, I think this might be a better one to try to copy. What do you think?
>>
>>53279399
See, what you're saying makes sense.
Focusing on one aspect (combat) at the cost of other aspects (not combat) is logically sensible.
But, 90% or so of D&D is combat, so combat is "balanced" for all classes. But that doesn't change that fighters gave up not-combat skill to be combat focused. So they hit par in combat and are shit out of combat.
THANKS WOTC.
>>
Any advice for somebody thinking of doing a melee bard? I know I'm rolling a war forged but not much else
>>
>>53279524

Hit them with your instrument.
>>
>>53279524
valor or swords, he should be fine as bards are fucking amazing regardless.
>>
>>53279463
>90% or so of D&D is combat

This makes me sad, but you're not wrong. Your average game of D&D doesn't have to revolve around combat, but most games really do. The system pushes you towards combat at every turn and doesn't offer many (obvious) options for avoiding conflict.

One shouldn't really be surprised so many players end up as murderhobos when the game rewards them so much for the "Kill shit, loot shit" mentality.
>>
>>53276446
Monks should scale their martial arts die up at every proficiency increase, so they end with 1d12 attacks and a shadow monk using opportunist for 5 attacks per round can deal not so much less damage than a thief rogue, on average, by the end of leveling. Basically, monks need +4-12 average damage on their attacks more than they have, by level 20, mostly in increases after level 10.
>>
File: 31a49ad11ede7facdc4530fa809d044f.png (407KB, 1280x1141px) Image search: [Google]
31a49ad11ede7facdc4530fa809d044f.png
407KB, 1280x1141px
>>53279524
Swords Babe.
>>
Would you allow a two-weapon fighter to use his fist as his offhand weapon?
>>
>>53279679
I'd make a concession if it was a brass knuckle or some kind of special gauntlet, but not just his hand.
>>
>>53276573
>Even WotC said the class was supposed to get Extra Attack 2 and a d10 Hp die.
Did they though? I know they need something. Just look at level 13 and 15, for example. I know level 14 is amazing, but that really doesn't excuse them.
>>
>Make NPC a fat unlikable oaf who is clearly incompetent and is a danger to everyone in his position.
>PCs love him and actively fight to keep him in a position of authority

I will never understand my own players.
>>
File: Scrapbook_04.jpg (121KB, 792x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Scrapbook_04.jpg
121KB, 792x1102px
>>53279167
Here you go anon, one mediocre moose emblem. Feel free to say you drew it if you want idc.
>>
>>53279585

The biggest motivator to kill everything you see is because, generally, that's the only way you can gain experience, which is the only way you can level up.

My solution is to award XP for non-violent resolution. Manage to trick the bandits into giving up their stolen loot with a well-executed grift or (rigged?) game of chance? Experience! Arrange a Scooby-doo-esque scheme to scare a bunch of goblins out of their fort with no blood spilled? Experience! Befriend a hostile beholder by appealing to their pride and vain nature, and then actually turn them good by claiming they can be better than the other beholders that way? Experience! These are all actual things that have happened, by the way.

You get the picture. And since combat is the default and arguably easier way to still get EXP, you can add more incentive by making non-violent resolutions give off, say, 1.5x the EXP of just killing the opposing entities. Or scale it with the impressiveness of their gambit.
>>
>>53279701
Yes that was the idea, he'd be wearing a type of caestus. Too bad there's no fist weapons in the game by default.
>>
>>53279725
>playing with Americans
>>
>>53279725

did you players vote for donald trump, by any chance
>>
File: 20170516_213614.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_213614.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>53279763

Thats boss as shit dude! Thanks!

I tried my hand at a profile version of it and think it came out ok. What do you think?
>>
>>53279769
1d4 Bludgeoning, yo.
>>
File: 1478034312476.png (12KB, 599x605px) Image search: [Google]
1478034312476.png
12KB, 599x605px
>>53279763
I'd rock that on a shield
>>
>>53279790

I don't think a profile works with the shape of the shield. If you want a profile, I'd make it a more symmetrical shape.
>>
>>53279769
I'd imagine most "fist weapons" would do 1d4 or 1d6 Bludgeoning damage, save for something like a Katar, which would do 1d6 Piercing damage.

I'd also imagine most fist weapons would have the Light and Finesse properties.
>>
>>53277741

Warlocks aren't casters. They're mobile Eldritch Bolt turrets.
>>
File: 138212467890.png (728KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
138212467890.png
728KB, 1106x1012px
>attempt to break into a castle
>kill the guards at the gate but we're all wounded and have to retreat and rest up
>come back next morning
>guards haven't reinforced their defenses let alone replaced or removed the dead ones outside
>just walk in
>>
>>53278332
how is chaotic good edgy?

im a chaotic good elf whos just a nice dude and doesnt let little things like laws get in the way if someone is in trouble and they dont deserve it?
>>
>>53279765

Finding ways of avoiding combat explicitly rewards XP, as does overcoming non-combat challenges, and achieving goals.
>>
>>53277108
>states outright they must be aligned with Evil a few sentences later?
But it doesn't? You might manage a lawful neutral conquest, but I doubt you could really be "good".
>>
>>53279970
>walk down the hall
>all your fellows are dead
>no sign of who did it
>run the fuck back to whatever room saved you and bolt the doors
>>
>>53279980
like batman
>>
>>53279786
Oh christ, I didn't even think of this.
>>
Guys question about Armor of Agathys.

If I cast it at 1st level then got hit by a melee attack that dealt 6 points of damage does the 5 cold damage still hit the target because I was hit while it was still active?
>>
>>53279763
gj anon that's epic
>>
>>53280044

Yes. The way it's worded is if they hit you while it's active. Before they even roll damage, they've already triggered it.
>>
>>53280024
dont dress like a bat, always try diplomacy, dont have dead parents. actually

>been playing for 2 years
>gave dm info on family. dad is captain of watch mom is decent wizard
>brother is bladesinger who randomly shows up as npc
>family has been used in plot like 4 different times and none of them have died for "drama"

did i strike gold?
>>
>>53280218
I'm pretty fucking jelly right now because you definitely have.
>>
>tfw you stunning blow-lock the ninth circle caster in his bedroom and break every bone in his body over the course of three rounds while the rest of your party fights outside, ignorant of your amazing heroism
>>
What are the essential components of a 5e homebrew setting?
I'm assuming you need a significant location for most race/class combinations, right? And backgrounds too I guess.
>>
File: 1494378355117.jpg (42KB, 285x287px) Image search: [Google]
1494378355117.jpg
42KB, 285x287px
>>53280340
I know that feel, even better is the DM keeps forgetting not to put shadows and dim light in boss battles because I just teleport and sneak attack.
>>
Ancients Paladin 6 / Lore Bard 14. I'm taking Paladin at 1st. Should I keep Paladin until 5, or take a bard level earlier so I can be... well, a bard, earlier?
>>
>>53280340
>>53280368
If Monk is so damn fun why does everyone keep saying it's shit?
>>
>>53280431
...... Are you me? I just was thinking how fluff wise an ancients paladin and certain types of bard would work really well together.
>>
>>53280469
>#NotAllMonks
>>
>>53280469
Because when you're not fighting spellcasters, ranged enemies, or shit with low Con saves, you eat chunks in the mid levels as everyone blows past you in damage and your AC hasn't caught up to their plate yet.

The secret is to play like a Fighter with Monk levels. Wear armor, use a weapon, use a shield maybe, and rely on your ki for Dodge bonus, Stunning Blow, and returning Deflected Arrows like Kenshiro.
>>
>>53280469
Because most people on here theory craft and look for big dpr and optimization.

Is it the greatest class no, but if your playing with a bunch of laid-back friends it has the ability to shine.
>>
>>53277068
...nigga are you crazy? Becoming a DM has MADE me create characters. All of the ideas for PCs that rattle around in my head just end up as NPCs, and I NEVER have to choose between them. Shit's fucking great!
>>
>>53280431
You should do the thing that lets you have more fun at lower levels because you aren't going to hit 20, and even if you did, you'll be spending the majority of your time as that low level shit-eater.
>>
What's a good name for a Lizardfolk Cleric?
>>
>>53280503
Case in point: every build here involves GWM or PAM.
>>
>>53276709
Adventure Zone used to be great, but the quality set itself on fire and jumped off of a cliff when the started the current Stolen Century Arc. Griffin's fucking up.
>>
>>53280538
Just play the Exile / Avernum series and rip off Sliths.
>>
>>53276357
When High Rollers is gonna do 25 K per stream you can come back bitch
>>
>>53280559
Well fuck, I actually have those games downloaded. Are they any good? I think I got the whole bundle for like $10 once.

Also any notable names from it?
>>
>>53280469
Mechanically the raw numbers look bad in a minmax environment. Most of the time Monks will have the same if not better AC then the Fighter, will be hitting way more often then him and has other class abilities that are fun and creative to use.

Monks are perfectly fine unless your party came from 4chan.
>>
File: avernum.jpg (82KB, 739x740px) Image search: [Google]
avernum.jpg
82KB, 739x740px
>>53280605
They are remakes of a very old CRPG series from the 90s and don't deviate too much from it, so it's got a pretty classic feel that doesn't sit right with a lot of people. Like, there's barely any animation, everything's on a grid, and combat is mostly walking up to things and wailing on them (though you have a few maneuvers now, and spellcasters obviously).

That said, at higher difficulties it can be very tactical and punishing. Story's good, too, and the setting is pretty fucking unique: everyone's in a fucking cave, and aliens show up later. If you ever wanted to run an Underdark adventure without throwing illithids or Drow everywhere, it's a good place to hunt for ideas. Also Evil Empire plots.
>>
File: 20170516_223215.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_223215.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I wanna thank the kind anon who gave me the original design. My excitement to play this upcoming character is restored thanks to you!

I hope I did your original some justice with my recreation.
>>
>>53276216

Hey guys. New to 5e.
What are the main approaches to decent cantrip damage, aside from Warlock Agonizing Blast?

How can you do something similar with a blaster wizard/sorcerer?
>>
>>53280694
If you want a blaster then the best option imo is Evoker. Once you hit level 10 then you get +15 damage on a level one Magic Missile which is just amazing, aside from that you're still just a normal Wizard with your spells.
>>
>>53280694
sorlock is best at blasting
>>
File: 1467227457736.jpg (570KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467227457736.jpg
570KB, 1920x1080px
Who has an easy chart for crafting items?
>>
>>53280748
Just use the UA downtime rules.
>>
So I'm back again looking at the monster creation rules in the dungeon master's guide and the monster manual and trying to make sense of some shit.

If you were to assign an equivalent class level to the CR of a creature, would you scale the proficiencies to the new class level or leave them with the CR?

Also making an equivalence between point buy and racial ability score improvements, would you assume that weaker monsters simply start with less points and stronger ones with more points, or assume they get something equivalent to class ASIs are responsible number plus getting more stats as racial ones instead?

Trying to recalculate the CR of monsters in the MM using the rules in the DMG has proven to be quite hilarious, as almost nothing matches the expected CR, even for stuff that has their special traits tabulated.
>>
>>53280691
Looks p gud, nice work anon.

I can't really take any credit, all I did was google "moose head silhouette" and make one of the results look a bit more angular/slapped on some pseudo-magic looking marks.
>>
File: 1494798407119.png (132KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
1494798407119.png
132KB, 550x281px
>cleric doesn't keep track of his spell slots
>doesn't even have a list of his prepared spells
>I'm literally doing it for him on my own sheet even though I'm a barbarian
>resisting urge to slap him when I have to remind him or ignore it when he cheats without even knowing it
fucking pothead
>>
>>53280801

you're doing god's work
>>
>>53280817
>pledge your undying devotion to a being of immense power
>serve him so faithfully that he takes a special interest in you and bestows upon you untold secrets of the multiverse, elevating you to a position of authority and respect
>can't be bothered to fill out a piece of paper
Worst Cleric.
>>
>>53280478

It sounds like oodles of fun.

>>53280518

Bard at 2nd or 3rd level then, Thanks!
>>
>>53279177
This

Liam's alright
>>
>>53280656
Monk's stunning can also be an important job in providing advantage to ranged and melee attacks instead of just melee like knocking prone, enabling those Awesome DeePeeEss GWMs and SSs, even if people call you a stun stick.
>>
Me and my party do totm when in towns, random exploration, and narration but we do grid and minis for dungeon crawls, infiltration, and combat. We actually get together out of session to have painting parties, but as the guy buying these minis, I'd like to start introducing some paper cutouts and things like that.

Anybody have any good resources for this?
>>
>>53280939
>stun a guy
>auto-disarm his weapon or spell focus
>auto-prone him
>knock his stunned, knocked down, weaponless ass anywhere you want
>casters blowing him the fuck up with Dex and Str save spells he can't succeed against
>melee characters laying in
>>
>>53280660
How can you not explain the GIFTS!? They're not hostile, but they surely can be antagonizing.

As a hint, the last word is "Spiders"
>>
File: stickythicket.png (290KB, 444x373px) Image search: [Google]
stickythicket.png
290KB, 444x373px
>>53281024
>GIFTS
Guess what I'm putting here
>Remember to let your players know they're cute! CUTE!
>>
>>53280789
I can say that even monsters and NPCs with higher level spell casting abilities still use their CR to determine their proficiency for the saving throw needed against their spells.
>>
>>53279167
Give your balls a tug and roll with the banter, faggot.
>>
>>53280878
>can't be bothered to fill out a piece of paper
>Worst Cleric.
Skipping out on his clerical duties like that.
>>
File: IMG_2216.jpg (88KB, 750x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2216.jpg
88KB, 750x731px
How do I wizard guys? This shits a lot to take in
>>
>>53281179
Just like cast spells man.
>>
>>53281179
Hold Person. Slow. Banishment. Wall of Force. Hypnotic Pattern.
>>
>>53281202
Don't forget Counterspell, Fly, and Haste.
>>
>>53281199
man dere lots a spells n shietttttttt

>>53281202
So should I just be a disabler? Not much damaging stuff
>>
>>53281234
If you need to do damage, some of the cantrips are good for it (Ray of Frost, Chill Touch), and getting AoE spells is also good too (Thunderwave, Burning Hands, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc.).

The main thing to keep in mind is that you can prepare a TON of spells even at low levels, and you just need to finetune your list as you progress through the game.
>>
>>53280469
They have just described the only two remarkable things a Monk can ever do. And most of the time it's just stun with less teleport.
>>
>>53281179
Play a Warlock or Sorcerer instead. Less shit to keep track of. Although nobody else will pass up the opportunity to complain that you have less options, so it's a trade-off.
>>
>>53281306
Warlock seems unreal boring, and my sorc just literally died so Im switching from sorc to wizard. I have some experience spellcasting, just not sure what a wizards supposed to do when theres so much shit to take
>>
>>53280015
Seems legit.
>>
How did your party kill: Tiamat, Orcus, Demogorgon, Zuggtymoy, Baphomet, if at all?
>>
File: 1490895620873.png (125KB, 1482x962px) Image search: [Google]
1490895620873.png
125KB, 1482x962px
>>53280748
I once was about to make a build-your-own pointbuy magic item system before I realize I was a dorf who was about to get a strange mood.
>>
>>53281342
Pick what you want to do first, then pick the spells that let you do that, then pick other spells that let you do things you didn't think about already. Your enchanter doesn't need every enchantment spell in the book, for example, just enough that you feel you're making use of your features.
>>
>>53278973
Travis was great in the Deadlands one shot they ran. He could easily roll with the punches the audience kept throwing out. How far are they in terms of level? I left a year ago so I'd imagine they are almost 20.
>>
File: 1397265604102.png (70KB, 370x300px) Image search: [Google]
1397265604102.png
70KB, 370x300px
>don't like theurge
>but I DO like zero martial 'priest' as a class concept
>>
Joined a one shot that ended up being a running thing, I got dex eldritch knight..how should i Build him with only the base rules
>>
>>53281496
Favored Soul does it right now, but I think it still needs a lot of work really.
>>
>>53281500
Shield, then Blur.
Pretend you're a fighter. Oh wait, you are!
>>
>player comes in with pre-rolled hit dice
>mysteriously rolled above average on all of them
>dm doesn't care or take notice
>>
>>53278408
>sun wukong in D&D

Neat.
>>
I need advice on this campaign im doing. It's all based off this one pc who is a skeleton reanimated by the uncle of the necromancer of the group(the uncle taught him necromancy). Now they are going on a mission to find the treasures of the skelly mans past life, because it turns out he was a king. So im planning on having them chase through elven lands to try and find the hidden treasure and once they find it they are going to fight a lich who used to be the court wizard of the skelly man and is responsible for the death of the king that became skelly man. I need some more plot points that will lead to them finding the treasure.
>>
>>53281661
A gentleman thief recruits the party into his crew of art thieves and insists that everyone has a code name.
>>
File: El.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
El.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>53281388
>Demogorgon
Self sacrifice... feels bad, bro.
>>
>>53281705
Story time? Story time.
>>
>>53281702
And then it turns out they're stealing his own stuff, right? That'd be neat.
>>
>>53281724
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things
Netflix.
>>
>>53281724
>Stranger Things. This is a spoiler.
>>
>>53281724
>>53281724
Unless you meant you wanted to hear what I'd do to Eleven. In that case, no. (Not on the internet anyway)
>>
>>53281753
>>53281761
>>53281768
Topkek.
>>
So a nearly killed a party member in today's session... The DM has uses the roll a 1 and meme shit happens thing because we just started Lv1 characters.

>Rogue used my engagement with an enemy to get his sneak attack in
>I roll a 1
What weapon are you attacking with?
>Glaive, a sword on a stick.
Right, roll with disadvantage to see if you hit your party
>18 and 17.... Le Fuck...

I hit the guy with 9 HP for 11. Oops.
>>
>>53281661
They find a ~historical archive~ in some ruins where there is a generic undead encounter, and among the rubble are books of a power struggle after the king died between Mr. Wizard and Mr. General, and Mr. Wizard took control of the country for several years while 'looking for a rightful heir'.

Then you pull out the treasure map that leads to Mr. Wizard's tower.
>>
>>53280884
Do have to ask how do you plan on building?
>>
File: 1442092806670.png (273KB, 600x650px) Image search: [Google]
1442092806670.png
273KB, 600x650px
>>53281342
>Warlock seems unreal boring,

That's the common complaint, but it's really just a matter of perspective. Some players are just fine with only being able to do one or two things really well in combat, and are willing to give up variety for it. From my perspective, it's less annoying for the both of us since I don't have to spend 20 minutes constantly read over my spell lists over and over again trying to make up my mind what to do every round.

I'm A-OK with just flinging a Hex on somebody and Eldritch Blasting them to death - and that's pretty much it.

I also enjoy playing Rangers and Archery fighters, BTW.
>>
>>53281454
Like 16-17
>>
>revised subclasses

Are you serious? Way of the 4 elements didn't get revised, but Kensei did? The fuck?

People have been complaining and talking shit about Wot4e since day 1
>>
>>53281496
Play a cleric. Dont be martial. Ask dm for monk style unarmored defense. Or multiclass into monk/wiz/dragon sorc/warlock/barbarian/be a race that gets natural armor
>>
>>53280512
One great thing for that is to make characters using other game systems.

I have a bunch of 13th Age and 4e NPCs running around in my 5e setting

>Players
WTF IS A BATTLEMIND?!

>Me
It's like a Psychic Knight

Gasp.jpg

>Players
Occultist? I've never heard of those before...are they in the PHB somewhere?

>Me
No, you wouldnt have heard of an Occultist...because there's only one...IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

>Players
WAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Needless to say they get upset when they learn they cant play characters like my NPCs.
>>
File: Capture.png (9KB, 845x117px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9KB, 845x117px
>can teleport three times with a bow for free, almost guaranteeing advantage from the additional height
>can teleport behind some enemies which should also guarantee advantage

I know this is a UA but it's pretty busted.
>>
>>53281822
>>53281454
>He doesn't know about Scanlan.
>>
>>53281702
>>53281729
oh shit that seems pretty good but the group already is trying to find the treasure so they might not want to just take a random mission unless they knew that the thieves were trying to steal the old kings treasures. Also I guess i should try and implement the other pc's, theres a artificer from the artificer guild(the artificer guild is competing with the magic guild), theres a barbarian from some random tribe, and one of those bird people from elemental evil that's a circle of the moon druid. I like the art thief thing but of anyone can give me either another campaign that can involve the rest of the party background, or a way to get to the lair using the party backgrounds. This is my third session of dming so like im sorry if im retarded.
>>
>>53281848
>Gain advantage from height
>Gain advantage from "Nothing personell"
Why?
>>
>>53281828
Fuck AC. I want the power of social circumstance, and people being terrified to anger the church, and the simple god fearing folk.
>>
>>53281850
Terrian Darrington at your service.

Doty I said realism....... REALLY!? Wow
>>
So my game has a new player that decided to go Fighter since they weren't that familiar with the mechanics. Well, now he's figured it out and he's feeling like his character doesn't have much to do considering the rest of the party is casters or half casters. Anything we can do for him? Maybe some item or suggest a good multiclass for him? He's a level 3 Battlemaster
>>
>>53281865
Pretty sure the former is an example in the PHB, and you'd obviously gain advantage if you suddenly teleported directly behind someone.
>>
>>53281827
I must apologize Wot4E. They have purposefully trained him wrong. As a joke.

___No.__________________
>>
>>53281899
Rebuild into Paladin or MC into Warlock after 6.
>>
>>53281827
They were only revised UAs.
>>
>>53281899
Tell him to become fight Macgyver, talk it out with your DM so he'll let him try more shit to be useful.
>>
>>53281907
>former is an example in the PHB
You're imagining things.
>obviously gain advantage
It's not a rule, it's not obvious, there's no facing in 5e, and is up to the DM only.
>>
>>53281907
>Pretty sure the former is an example in the PHB
Source?

>and you'd obviously gain advantage if you suddenly teleported directly behind someone.
Uh, no. That would depend on passive perception. I doubt the teleportation is totally silent.
>>
>>53281827
The w4nk got an even shorter end of the stick than the Ranger as of now. I wonder if any other class/subclass suffers as much.
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
FourElements.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53281827
Its okay anon homebrew is here when they aren't.
>>
>>53281978
For the longest time I avoided Homebrew like the plague. But 5etools got me at least looking at ToB and BoLS. Gotta see for myself if they're any good.
>>
>>53281894
This Tary backstory thing is odd, but intriguing. I really hope it leads to a fucking dungeon.
>>
>>53281978
That's probably why they didn't fix it, they knew they couldn't do any better than that third party.
>>
>>53281966
What do you mean Fight MacGyver?
>>
>>53280789
Say you are adapting monster classes as PCs for an all monster campaign, and not just goblinoids and shit, but a lot more of crap. A system that works for most things in the book.

Would you,

A) Run them as written from the MM and pull some CR/Level equivalency.
>Start at whichever CR appropriate level and can level up to total sum 20 with PC class levels. ex. CR 2 Quaggoth + 18 barbarian levels, CR 13 Beholder + 7 wizard levels, etc.

B) Normalize them into level 1 equivalents for PC classes.
>Start from 1st level and exclusively level up with PC levels, 27 point buy, up to 5 ASIs balanced against starting features, maybe add some racial feats to get more of the og monster feel. ex. 20th level beholder evocation wizard, took some feat(s) for improved eye rays/anti-magic cone, etc.

C) Normalize them into level 1 equivalents but force them into monster exclusive classes.
>Craft some class that represents the innate traits of the creature, scale it up to lv20 and start at 1st level. ex. 20th level beholder, with all beholder traits and a bit more if necessary, etc.

Was Savage Species a mistake?
>>
>>53281997
My problem is I can already see how these idiots are going to try and handle it and that is piss off an organization that even Vax laughed at them when they mentioned fighting it.

This shit is gonna go south mostly because Keyleth is gonna use her amazing charisma score to talk their way out of it.
>>
>>53281866
Than play a cleric as a priest of (main religion)
Clerics are full casters with pretty solid spell lists and thamaturgy covers alot of the terrifying peasents part.
>>
>>53281586
If the dm cared he could roll hit dice for players at level up.
>>
>>53281996
ToB is pretty shit though, as is all of the excrement coming out of Kobold Press.
>>
>>53281866
You could even play a wizard with an acolyte background and have him be a priest
>>
>>53282058
Hopefully Mercer will steer them away from that clustermug and into a "do this thing for us and we're even" situation. "this thing" being some crazy ass dungeon crawl shit. Like the good ol' days with Kvarn.
>>
>>53282080
Well as far as I can tell most homebrew is that way which is why I hardly ever even want to look at it. The closest was getting desperate for Duskblade and Magus.
>>
>>53281968
Any DM worth their salt would allow advantage on at least the first attack utilizing Distant Strike.

>>53281972
Perception has nothing to do with it since you're not hiding. You're literally teleporting midswing. That'd throw off an enemy enough to gain advantage.
>>
>>53282015
Always have shit for a situation, looking for traps, flour.

Need to blind a guy? Pocket sand

Need to help the team making it harder to reach them? Ball bearings

Need to try and help hold something down? Trident/javelin and rope

Pretty much use the environment and items to give the group advantages without them burning their spell slots.
>>
I'm an unimaginative hack, post characters from various medias that would be good bases for GOO patrons for me to rip off.
>>
>>53282143
>Perception has nothing to do with it since you're not hiding.
Then you don't get advantage.
>>
>>53281938
He's less charismatic than a wet tarp unfortunately
>>
>>53281866
You could play a Bard and be the Herald of [insert god]

Bards are pretty important as they are essentially your newspapers. Traveling around telling stories in a world without phones or internet.

If you were a Bard(Acolyte background) who worked for the Church and sung the tales of their Saints to indoctrinate people into the religion, i'd say the Church would have your back and people would fear you.

Plus Bards are Charisma based, so you have stronger emphasis in social situations.

Lore Bard can even steal spells from Paladin and Cleric spell lists.
>>
>>53282148
That kind of shit is how I picture Belmonting it up. Some kind of Paladin, only you're also armed with bags of silvered daggers, handaxes, and also vials holy water to toss at shit.

Always having the right tools to fuck with evil.
>>
>>53282155
The island from Lost.
>>
>>53282160
Yeah you do.
>>
File: swords and shit yo.png (249KB, 365x565px) Image search: [Google]
swords and shit yo.png
249KB, 365x565px
top secret leak from WOTC
>>
File: tumblr_mz5o5lJXaY1t5mugio1_250.gif (490KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz5o5lJXaY1t5mugio1_250.gif
490KB, 250x140px
>>53282155
>>
>>53281848
Is this for eldritch knight and the shitty arcane charge?
>>
>>53282143
If you're teleporting midswing, how do you gauge where you're going to strike, if you're not even close enough, your strike might be too shallow or off-center.
Since you're attacking somewhat blindly, you should be attacking with disadvantage, obviously!
So it cancels out, obviously!
>>
>>53282215
Holy shit, yes.
>>
>>53282203
Stop being that guy.

>>53282207
Even their grammar isn't that atrocious. C'mon, man!
>>
>>53282223
You can only teleport 10 feet at a time. This is obviously meant to be used while you're already engaged in melee combat.

>>53282245
I'm not. You're just confused and think hiding is the only way to gain advantage.
>>
>>53282155
>>
File: 1435864319587.png (148KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1435864319587.png
148KB, 2500x1645px
>>53282207
>>
>>53282108
Would be nice
>>
>>53282262
If you aren't hidden from your target, what is giving you advantage?

Why do I even bother...
>>
>>53281010
>Bring my massive sword down on an unlucky bastard, instantly killing the sod.
>Stand around and sigh as the monk dick slaps some Mook for 3 rounds...
>>
Once you polymorph an opponent into say a mouse, what do you do with it?
Just set up a single attack and enjoy the easy damage spilling over?
Drop it in a cage or perharps a lake and hope the original form can't swim?

You have one hour, what will it be?
>>
File: 2b_thinking.png (24KB, 128x118px) Image search: [Google]
2b_thinking.png
24KB, 128x118px
>tfw managed to kill off one PC i hated today
>>
>>53282299
That's the wonderful thing about Monk- Stun works on almost everything from "some mook" to the BBEG. In fact, there's nothing I can think of immune to "Stunned", though the Tarrasque probably is.
>>
>>53282296
Teleporting mid-attack.
>>
>>53282323
How deep a hole can I dig and refill in 1 hour.

>>53282352
You're an idiot.
>>
>>53282323
Put them in a bag of holding and seal it shut.

Carry Bag of Holding somewhere that'll kill them, (ie- Vampire to open, sunny field with no shade) and let 'em out. Or, if it's something that needs to breathe, just leave 'em in there for a dat or so.
>>
>>53282359
With Mold Earth, a really fucking deep one.
>>
>>53282359
Why? Could you give a good reason why a creature wouldn't be shocked at someone teleporting behind them? Can you explain why striking at the exposed back of a shocked creature wouldn't result in advantage?
>>
>>53282391
The creature isn't shocked.
>>
File: Bloodborne Moon Presence.png (399KB, 747x309px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne Moon Presence.png
399KB, 747x309px
>>53282155
>>
>>53282400
So a random orc or goblin is going to expect literally everything it fights is capable of teleporting?

This is why I said AT LEAST the first attack using it.
>>
>>53282391
Because there is no "back" in 5e.

>>53282389
>Dig hole.
>Put mouse in hole.
>Refill hole.
>?????
>PROFIT!!!!!
>>
File: Plank.jpg (37KB, 526x777px) Image search: [Google]
Plank.jpg
37KB, 526x777px
>>53282155
>>
>>53277180
Because Level 3 starts are better unless you happen to be playing with complete newbies.
>>
>>53282430
So? Any decent DM would allow it anyway.
>>
>>53282481
Uh huh... sure, kid.
>>
>>53282497
Still haven't provided any actual argument. Maybe one day you'll have a good DM and he'll let you have fun.

Don't even know why your panties are so knotted up over this considering it's such an easy thing to shut down it's not even funny. Try to be a DM yourself one day and learn a thing or two.
>>
As someone who has played with back attack rules, the only thing I have to say about it is that it's incredibly shitty and encourages retarded behavior.
>>
>>53282391
I don't have the image, but dude stop. There is nothing in the rules that supports your argument. In fact, compare this ability to the shadow monk's Shadow Step:
>When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.
You see? This explicitly says you have advantage on your first strike. The ability you're talking about says nothing of the sort, thus no advantage.
>>
File: 1378259915747.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1378259915747.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>53282533
>Still haven't provided any actual argument
>Any decent DM would allow it anyway.
>Try to be a DM yourself one day and learn a thing or two.
Keep 'em comin', kid. You're doin' great.
>>
>>53282559
This is more akin to invisibility advantage rather than straight back attacks.

>>53282580
It's a UA so it obviously hasn't had all the kinks worked out.

Still waiting on someone to provide a logical reason why teleporting mid-swing wouldn't provide advantage.
>>
>>53282605
>back attacks.
>logical reason why teleporting mid-swing wouldn't provide advantage.
Because there's no such thing as a back attack.
>>
>>53282624
Read the DMG.
>>
Cost for a rope/chain that could safely contain a Young Green Dragon?
>>
>>53282644
Page number, please. I'm lazy.
>>
>>53282533
Not that fuckwit, but here's some actual arguments.

If it were intended to provide advantage, it would have mentioned it. Free advantage on the first attack each combat is pretty powerful, and certainly enough of an ability to merit explicit comment.

There's nothing indicating that the teleport unforeseeable or subtle; it could just as easily be a blurring transition or a loud sound and brilliant light that precedes the teleport at your destination.

Doing something to be temporarily undetected by the enemy is already covered by the Hide action, and you're not taking the Hide action.

All that said, if I were GMing I'd certainly permit you to spend your normal move to try a hide check to nothing personnel them and get advantage, or an opposed initiative check if you were just going for shooting the instant you teleport.
>>
>>53282605
>Still waiting on someone to provide a logical reason why teleporting mid-swing wouldn't provide advantage.
Missed this one.

Yeah, I'd grant advantage for that.
I'd also impose disadvantage since you'd be making a swing at a target you couldn't currently see, since you'd be swinging where they weren't until you weren't where you were and were where you weren't and swinging at where they were and are, unless you missed because you were swinging were they weren't before they weren't.
>>
>>53278870
Rope used to hang an important and beloved figure, A portrait of a enemy ruler or a gruesome scene like a little girl eating her parents with a blank stare, porcelain doll whose eyes seem to follow you and cast judgement upon you, torture devices, weird sex toys, portrait of them fucking/naked/doing something sexually deviant, Taxidermied of critters in weird positions/situations or just spoopy critter in general, medical oddities, shackles of innocent people who were executed or of slaves, terrarium/aquarium/aviarium filled with small but deadly/scary animals with horrifying feeding habits and it is feeding time, puppets and figurines of macabre shit, jars containing literal feces/nails/hair and strange alchemy ingredients, remains of a demon/elemental, fossils and fabricated fossils meant to prove crackpot theorys.

http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_items_in_the_Mystery_Shack

http://mtblanco.com/ also has some wacky shit for a real life example
>>
File: tumblr_mhcvroo5Uz1qcmw6lo1_400.gif (2MB, 282x257px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhcvroo5Uz1qcmw6lo1_400.gif
2MB, 282x257px
>>53282668
What'd I do to you?

>>53282696
The teleporter knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The arcane fuckamajg uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the telporter from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.
>>
File: 1445345399347.png (99KB, 344x291px) Image search: [Google]
1445345399347.png
99KB, 344x291px
>First time DM'ing last Saturday, all old friends who get along great
>Party of four level 3's decide to fight a Roper (CR 5)
>Get they're shit kicked in, two down, 3/4 grappled, one player unharmed and untouched because of lucky DEX saves
>Roper lost barely 15 hp, only done by untouched player's lucky crit ranged attack
>Had an NPC save their ass so they don't TPK on the first session during my first time DMing
>Intended it to have them run, repeatedly warn them to run
>Player starts bitching how the NPC is untrustworthy because he sent them on a fetch quest in the dungeon and didn't warn them not to go deeper after they completed their goal
>Told me today I was being unreasonable in not letting the Roper encounter play out because I didn't KNOW they'd live on their own since I interrupted the encounter
Is this what it's like to actually DM?
>>
>>53282663
251+252.

>>53282668
>I'd certainly permit you to spend your normal move to try a hide check

Wew no thanks man.

>>53282696
>you'd be making a swing at a target you couldn't currently see

How can you not see something that's in an adjacent square? Fuck even I could hit something if I was instantly moved behind it.
>>
>>53282733
Most DMs are babysitters. Manbabysitters.
>>
>>53282734
>251+252.
Ah, yes. The optional rules section.
Certainly, if optional rules that say you're correct are in play you are correct.
>>
>>53282734
>Optional facing rule.
Way to bury the lead, kid.
>>
>>53282766
Don't try to jump into the conversation while spouting off nonsense. You tried to deny the rules exist when they clearly do.
>>
>>53282457
>Kill them Johnny
>Kill them all
>>
>>53282427
Does that even have any personality besides
>appear
>beat the PISS out of you
>>
>>53282733

Pretty much. I'm guilty of that too. There's one guy at one of the tables I'm a player at, he's a real whiner. Any time any combat starts to go south, he starts throwing a temper tantrum. As a result, the DM usually makes combats a little too easy. I'm the opposite from him; the worse combat goes, the more excited I get. DMing can be a tight rope act sometimes.
>>
>>53282733
Their asses should've left after they got the job done. You should've let the roper have its way with them.
>>
>>53280691
I'd personally fill in the negative spaces between the antlers/below the head with simple geometric designs that a vaguely mystical or some sort of heraldic symbol.
>>
>>53282804
Its personality is kill some other GOO baby, fuck you for killing Gehrman, get in the wheel chair.
>>
>>53282790
And there's rules for honor and sanity too, but that doesn't mean their commonly used. Nobody fucking uses that shit. Stop moving the goalposts.
>>
>>53282863
I wasn't the one that brought up those rules, retard. On the other hand you said they didn't exist at all.
>>
File: 1390609747877.gif (129KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
1390609747877.gif
129KB, 300x232px
So, let me get this straight. The rules you didn't bring up are the only thing that proves you right, even though basically no one uses them because they aren't standard rules... and I'M the retard here?
>>
>>53282733
Ropers are a very specific kind of bullshit

I used one in a very similar situation, and the trick behind them is this: They're not CR 5.

They're "Does the party have Fireball or other effective AOE spells that target dex saves"

If the answer is no, then it is going to fuck them.
If the answer is yes, then they might not be fucked, but they'll sure be unhappy.

Grappling is a more powerful mechanic than everyone gives it credit for, and grapple with restrain on all members of the party at once?

Yeah, ropers aren't CR 5. They're CR Fuck
>>
>>53282927
A DM can grant advantage whenever they want. That's the only rule I've cited Mr. "Back attacks don't exist!"
>>
>muh teleport advantage
Teleportation effects that give advantage on melee attacks are labeled as such in their description, ie: shadow port.
>>
>>53282963
Provide another example or two and maybe I'll believe you.
>>
>>53282961
You know what, you're right. I am a retard. I fucking must be for arguing with you for this long. Please never join my games.
>>
Never had a problem with a roper in 5e. Intellect devourer and swarm of rot grubs, on the other hand, those got out of hand quickly.
>>
>>53283003
>I am a retard.

Glad you admit it. Retards shouldn't argue with their betters.
>>
>>53283007
My party has had poor run-ins with tons of insects, locust swarms, snakes, and water.

I love 'em to death they are my favorite group of world savers.
>>
>>53282976
Well what about Arcane Charge? It's been a teleport in the PHB from day one and it's never been labeled as giving you advantage when you use it. Same as Misty Step.

If the Horizon Walker was meant to give advantage it would say so or they would've tweeted it. I imagine the fact it doesn't means the teleport it obvious, as in a small gap between disappearing and reappearing or something that hints where you're going to teleport.

However. I would let a player who is hidden teleport out and make an attack with advantage. Normally when you move out you lose the hidden advantage but I'd say a teleport into a direct strike when they didn't know you were there would still give advantage.
>>
>>53283074
The description says "in the blink of an eye."

I actually do give advantage for all teleports used that way.
>>
File: 1487667103651.png (236KB, 574x255px) Image search: [Google]
1487667103651.png
236KB, 574x255px
>Make a character with a back story I really like
>One of my players has DMed before and offered to run the next game
>Stoked to play this character
>Came up with the idea of an OoA/Bard
>Already made a backstory and torn between which to run

Anyone else run into this?
>>
>my first game of DnD
>one of the characters is an uncooperative untrusting drow rogue being a snark dick

I don't think D&D is for me
>>
I'm making my first character, and I needed to know what the best source would be for information on the forgotten realms setting so I can make all the background all for my character actually have real detail.

I know a lot of the basic details but I need places and maybe events to make it fit to the world.
>>
>>53283195
Heh I remember a guy like that, he died second session in because he managed to piss everyone off on the group and threatened us.

Luckily we're all friends irl so no hard feelings but shit happens.
>>
>>53283133
That's fantastic, it's your houserule. You can't argue with people that your own houserule is the way the ability was intended to be used though, because RAW and RAI it's not.

You've also likely unbalanced the Horizon Walker UA but it's your game to do as you see fit.
>>
>>53283211
Well that would be more of a DM thing to ask so you can tie it directly into his world.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>53282215
Best one ITT

>>53282265
>Patron is just a bored level 20 Wizard
>>
>>53283224
How exactly is "DM's can freely give advantage/disadvantage" a houserule?
>>
>>53283224
At the risk of being called retard, what does RAW and RAI mean? Never have bothered to figure it out
>>
File: 1421474153525.gif (319KB, 450x270px) Image search: [Google]
1421474153525.gif
319KB, 450x270px
>>53283134
Flip a coin. 50% of the time it works every time.

>>53283133
Well then go fuck yourself, you smarmy little cunt. Most people don't play the way your stupid ass does. Do us all a fucking favor and eat a goddamned bullet.
>Pic motherfucking related.
>>
>>53283213
What makes it worse is that our online group is mostly internet friends except this guy who is new. Well, at least he's alright OOC I guess.

That said, fuck evil characters in non-evil parties.
>>
>>53283253
Read as Written and Read as Intended.

Difference between taking a rule at face value and running with it or going with what it's meant to be doing which often leads to asking the makers these days.
>>
>>53283253
>>53283266
Rules as written
Rules as intended
>>
>>53283260
Evil characters in a non evil group can work, but it definitely takes someone who knows what they are doing and 9/10 they just fuck it up and cause needless drama.
>>
>>53283259
What's the problem with giving advantage to a teleport that literally happens in a blink of an eye?

It makes perfect sense.
>>
>>53283252
The fact you've set "This situation will 100% of the time give you advantage" makes it a house rule.

Letting a player occasionally get the advantage from specific tactics using their teleport is perfectly fine but saying that every single teleport will give you advantage on your attack after it is making new rules.
>>
>>53283266
>>53283273
Ahh so a rule that is clarified is the latter where as written it's straight out of the book?
>>
>>53283288
Yes. Thanks to Sage Advice RAI is easier to get a handle of.
>>
>>53283300
Thanks m8
>>
>>53283282
Bro actually try reading my posts.

>>53282143
>>53282429

The first time should be a given for any decent DM. After that it's up in the air.
>>
File: Whisper.png (25KB, 551x351px) Image search: [Google]
Whisper.png
25KB, 551x351px
>>53277954

Tested out Virtuous Calamity and it's not bad, it's nowhere near as strong as Whisper is from Critical Role, so that's good. The attack limitation makes it so using the Calamity techniques should be used when necessary and the Grip having limited uses makes it so when it fails it hurts a lot more, but it's still throwable and returns so it works out!

Thanks for all the help on this one guys.
>>
>>53283288
Sort of. RAI is more like... using rules in a way that they aren't broken. Just because the RAW mean you CAN do something, doesn't always mean it was intended that way.
>>
>>53283276
Well, drama or no drama, it made me angry in and out of character, which I spoke out about to the group. Everyone seems to agree it was good roleplay because it made me angry though.
As this is my first impression of roleplaying in an extensive RP system, I honestly feel like dropping out, but I'll stick till the end of the campaign because it's poor form otherwise.
How do I cope with the situation in-character?

Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>53283281
From a fluff standpoint yeah it does.

From a mechanics standpoint it can be quite unbalancing. Sometimes realism has to take a backseat because this is a tabletop game, it can't accurately reflect every single combat aspect with it's simple rules.

>>53283315
You know what. I'll let you have your decent DM crap for the simple reason it doesn't really matter.

Revised Ranger gives Advantage on all attacks in the first round of combat anyway and 99% of Rangers will use the teleport every round. So maybe once or twice will it actually give them advantage on the first teleport that they wouldn't have anyway.
>>
>>53283281
Because the teleport happens instantaneously, but you don't just fire a bow without lining up the shot first. The attack takes half a second, which is all a baddie needs to dodge your arrow. Once you teleport into the open, you aren't hidden (unless you're using facing rules like a little bitch).
>>
>>53283345
>From a mechanics standpoint it can be quite unbalancing.

Not really. Considering it's a level 11 ability, a DM could obviously say "you've become so famous that everyone knows about your trick." Or you could throw bigger enemies at the party.

>>53283363
Who said anything about bows?
>>
File: Spud.jpg (77KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Spud.jpg
77KB, 500x333px
>>53283133
>The description says "in the blink of an eye."
>I actually do give advantage for all teleports used that way.
>>53283281
>What's the problem with giving advantage to a teleport that literally happens in a blink of an eye?
>It makes perfect sense.

Not the guys you're talking to, but here's how I envision it ACTUALLY working and why it doesn't work the way you interpret:

Yes the teleportation itself happens "in the blink of an eye". But the SPELL itself IS NOT INSTANT. There is a "wind up" to it. Before the guy actually teleports, maybe there is an audible sound and visual effects going on for a second or two before he actually teleports "in the blink of an eye". Especially if they have to do the usual spellcasting shit of wiggling their fingers in the air and mumbling shit out loud to get the teleport to actually execute.

TL;DR - you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>53283228
It's forgetten realms, I just need a like an infinite amount of info about that setting. There's a Atlas of it from 4th edition material, anything better than that?
>>
>>53283337
>It made you angry
>That's the bases for a good evil character nowadays

Fucking seriously? I get not agreeing and having some tension due to the evil ones actions but outright anger is how fuckers get stabbed in game and out.

It used it be if you were playing an evil character you had to be subtle and not rock the boat too much since you were the odd man out.
>>
>>53283444
>Who said anything about bows?
The very first post.
>can teleport three times with a bow for free, almost guaranteeing advantage from the additional height
>>
>>53283466
I haven't played 4e so not 100% if much has changed between the editions. Wish I could help more senpai.
>>
>>53283448
Distant Strike isn't a spell. The fact that it can also grant you an extra attack should be enough to tell you how fast it happens.

>>53283493
Unrelated to what's being discussed. Good job cherry picking.
>>
>>53283517
>Distant Strike isn't a spell

Doesn't matter. Unless there is something that explicitly states it grants advantage to attack, it simply doesn't. You can work backwords from that and figure out why, in spite of any "fluff text" that is tacked onto it. What I said still stands: There is still some probably "wind up" to it that gives some sort of cue to when the teleport is about to happen.
>>
>>53283484
Eh, I'm quick to anger, so I was probably the only one to get angry, at least vocally.

To give a fuller picture, the drow refused twice to scout ahead in a dungeon corridor, in a dungeon where the existence of traps is confirmed by almost triggering one earlier (a half-orc barb and a human paladin are in the vanguard, mind). She also left a fellow adventurer to auto-fail a death saving throw in the water because another adventurer (guy was late) entered the room, so instead of dragging the dying character out of the water, she turned to ask "who are you" because muh character flaw of no trust. All while being snide and fumble hitting me for 21 damage though that would be unfair to hold against her.

I have a feeling that if I keep being angry at such trivialities, I'm better off removing myself from the game and not raise any further drama.
>>
>>53283511
lol, i just fucking want to know the name and historys of some towns and regions/ civilizations. Didn' think i was asking a difficult question
>>
>>53283511
and I was asking what the best source book for the forgetten realms setting is not anything about 4e specifically
>>
>>53283517
The fuck? The fact that it's a bow has nothing to do with it. You still have to aim sword. At this point, you better be a troll, because I don't want to live in a world were there are people this stupid.

>>53283574
There's the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Also the modules have expanded info on certain towns. Or just google Faerun. You won't run out of reading material any time soon.
>>
>>53283572
Ahh well it does sound like just being a cunt, but also nothing too terrible. I get the letting a player auto fail thing but use it in character as a "I'm watching you for betrayal or fucking up".

Doesn't mean it isn't annoying as fuck.
>>
>>53283599
What kind of spoilers might Sword coast adventurer's guide have?
>>
Why does it seem like a majority of players want to turn everything into a joke? Like every exchange has to end up on Reddit or turn into a le epic greentext story
Don't think I've ever experienced a session be played completely straight.
>>
>>53283644
Spoilers for what? Every game is different.
>>
>>53283662
Because that doesn't sound very fun.
>>
File: Capture.png (141KB, 389x146px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
141KB, 389x146px
>>53283571
>Unless there is something that explicitly states it grants advantage to attack, it simply doesn't.

Stop repeating the same arguments and learn how advantage works.

>There is still some probably "wind up" to it t

Wrong. Something like Misty Step has a visual and vocal indicator, but this doesn't. If it does, please point it out.
>>
File: 1458844108341.gif (989KB, 245x191px) Image search: [Google]
1458844108341.gif
989KB, 245x191px
>>53283674
>A DM might allow it, so it works every time, right?
Fucking twit.
>>
>>53283664
do you think reading it would spoil plot on any of the modules?

I'm not worried about spoiling monsters or anything incidental really.
>>
>>53283725

See >>53283315
>>
>>53283730
No, not at all. It's for DM's AND players. There's also new class/background options if you didn't know.

>>53283739
>I'm right, therefore... I must be right.
>>
>>53283758
Still waiting on a good, logical reason why it shouldn't grant advantage.

I know it's not coming since even a few against the idea admitted it does make sense and you're just a random shitposter.
>>
>>53283758
ok cool thanks. is there a standard way to tell whether a particular piece of literature is for DM's or players?
>>
>>53283802
>Still waiting on a good, logical reason why it shouldn't grant advantage.
Because the ability doesn't give advantage.
>>
>>53283802
Because the DM's perception of combat might not be identical to yours. And this idea seems to cause you to sperg out and talk about "proper, decent DMs worth their salt would agree with me!" only to discover that /5eg/ disagrees.
>>
>>53283810
Player's Handbook, Elemental Evil Player's Companion, and Storm Coast Adventurer's Guide are for players. Everything else I can think of for 5e (Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, all the campaign books) is for DM's.

>>53283802
see
>>53283842
>>
>>53283674
>Wrong. Something like Misty Step has a visual and vocal indicator, but this doesn't. If it does, please point it out.
You know what you're right, nowhere does it say the teleport has any indication. It also never says that suddenly appearing behind someone would be grounds for advantage.

It comes down to DM decision and the vast majority will tell you know.
>>
>>53283857
nice thanks.

I know we are running Lost Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Somone on here told me to tell my DM that is cocked up and to run Lost Mine. I told him and he said whoever that guy was can fuck off lol.

He had like gridded out posterboards and whiteboards and all kind of shit for the campaign when I went over there. It was all covered but looks like it will be epic.
>>
How the shit am I supposed to choose between these like 25 first level spells when I only have 4 first level slots, and these like 20 second level slots when I only have 3 second level slots?
How do you guys not just go crazy from all the pressure of having to pick? How do you know what you'll need?
>>
>>53283935
...What class are you? You do know that spellcasting's different in this edition right?
>>
>>53283842
I'm the DM of my group and stand by the assertion that only a bad DM would say "no you can't do that." Any decent DM would allow it then adjust accordingly.

>>53283904
>It also never says that suddenly appearing behind someone would be grounds for advantage

Still repeating the same, shitty argument.
>>
How much will a badly built character's crunch interfere with the actual game? Can you fuck up so badly, bad crunch gets in the way of the fluff you can play out?
>>
>>53283948
Druid. I can only have as many spells prepared as I have slots right? Or did I make a stupid?
>>
>>53283974
You prepare level+wisdom modifier amount of spells.
>>
>>53283955
I was repling to the argument of "It never says there's an indication of the teleport". If we're going to add things onto abilities then why can't we add something that doesn't work in your favor.

>>53283974
A bit of a stupid. You can prepare spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + Level. Then you can cast any of those spells in any slots you have.
>>
>>53283955
>I'm the DM of my group and stand by the assertion that only a bad DM would say "no you can't do that." Any decent DM would allow it then adjust accordingly.
Well then I'll stand by the assertion you're a bad DM.
>>
>>53283984
>>53283989
Whoops.
>>
>>53283948
Druid or Cleric by the sound of it.

>>53283916
Can I ask how old you are?

>>53283955
>appearing behind someone would be grounds for advantage
And you're still repeating yours. The (standard) rules don't say you get advantage. Like you said, it's up to the DM. But that fact doesn't mean every DM would allow it. And if it were me, I would say no, because the baddie would have a chance to notice you before your blow struck. And if I were a player in your group, and the DM allowed it, then the games would probably suck because that's pretty lame.
>>
>>53283989
>If we're going to add things onto abilities then why can't we add something that doesn't work in your favor.

Use the same ability to jump 30 feet in the air (since ranged attacks above a certain height should obviously grant advantage) only to realize that you can't fly. I've had a player do that once. Pretty funny.

>>53283997
Why? Because you hate logic?
>>
>>53284005
>>53284005
>>53284005
New thread, migrate whenever.
>>
>>53284010
30, why?
>>
>>53284013
Teehee. I see what you did there.
>>
>>53284012
>Why? Because you hate logic?
No, because you assume every DM should freely give out advantage. I don't care if you use it in your games but you can't assume every game will or that anyone should use your rules with no reason to.
>>
>>53284024
... no reason.
>>
>>53280550
I'm real late, but you're completely right
>>
Our party has no casters, and I've just died.

Never played a full caster before, so I figure i'll give it a try.

What's more fun, Warlock or Wizard?

from what I can tell, Wizards seem to have the versatility but i like the Warlock's flavour - but i'm worried it's a little edgy.

Any suggestions/tips about the two classes?
>>
>>53285167
Warlock doesn't have to be edgy. You don't have to agree with your patron. Maybe you (think you) tricked him into throwing you a bone?
>>
>>53281978
I like this, but the cantrips you get when taking the tradition are kind of weird. Seems like you'd want to try and focus on one type of element rather than spreading yourself out (I know, I know, Avatar) it would at least be nice to have some more elemental cantrip options.
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.