[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 47

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>53260062

How do you handle social issues in your games?
>>
How can I provide the party with an option to support a zealot in the creation of a vicious Inquisition? Got a character who wants to exile every elf in the city, but the king has only humoured her so far, and she needs some sort of resources to prompt the king to switch over to supporting her cause.

She's not evil enough to play tricks or illusions, but she's also mostly unjustified.
>>
>>53268723
We don't. We just kill dragons and shit
>>
>>53268747
Funny enough, killing dragons has solved all of our social issues thus far.
>>
How do you keep track of combat as a DM? l mean fuck how am l supposed to remember how which goblin took 5 damage and which took 2?
>>
File: roll20 session.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 session.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>53268789
I've never had such problems.
>>
>>53268789
Colour-coding on minis.

If you don't use minis, give them numbers. Goblin 1, Goblin 2, etc.

This is why smart players use minis.
>>
>>53268789
Number the goblins. Goblin 1, goblin 2, etc.
>>
>>53268812
Isn't there a tool on roll20 that lets you line up the squares with a map?
>>
>>53268723
>ugly nigger elf as op pic

is this a joke?
>>
>>53268993
There is, but it's the handiest picture I could find without making one myself.
>>
>>53268789
If you have a group of similar enemies, such as bandits, goblins or whatever, give each of them ONE recognizable trait, like an eyepatch or golden earrings. put a small note with the trait next to the respective mini if you use grids. makes it easier to keep track of who's who for you and your players while personalizing encounters.
>>
>>53267690
Asking for other opinions on this.
>>
>>53268723
So i have started to design a concept for a monk archetype.

A mix 1/3 caster with Druid spells and something similar to the Totem Barbarian.

>LvL 3 gain Spellcasting like AT/EK but only druid spells.

>LvL 6 gain an Animal-styled feature that grants one passive bonus and one active abillity.

-examples:

>Bull
- Spend 3 ki and for the Duration of 1 minute whenever you take the attack action you can charge in a 20ft long and 5ft wide straight line. Make an attack roll against each creature within the affected area and deal unarmed damage on each target you hit.
- You gain proficiency in the Athletics Skill or double your proficiency bonus in it if you are allready proficient in it.

>Tiger
- You expend 3 ki to exert your self. For the duration of 1 minute your Strenght becomes 15+Your Proficiency bonus and your movement speed increases by 10ft.
- Pounce - As long as you move at least 20 ft towards a target before hitting it with a melee weapon attack the target must make a STR saving throw against your Ki save DC.

>Turtle
- By expending 3 ki you gain resistance to all non-magical weapon attacks for 1 minute.
- You gain additional +1 to AC.

etc.

>At lvl 11 - Gain the abillity to cast alter self at will.

>At lvl 17 - Some decent capstone abillity. So far i thought some Giant Monkey (Sayan monkey) transformation once per short rest might be cool.
>>
>>53268745
No justification? Nigga, that's evil.

You've got it backwards; subterfurge in turn, isn't necessarily vile.
>>
>>53269054
If it wasn't for ranged, it'd explicitly state "melee attack roll" (assuming no misprints in the text and the like), so it's just the helper who has to be up close and personal.
>>
>>53268745
Go Nazi I guess.

Have the Elves form gated communities, ghettos of reluctantly socialized individuals with some sort of accrued resources.
When shit happens, blame the elves. Then have some serious threat, bonus point if it's another Elf or Fey of some kind that comes after the elves and wrecks serious damage before the adventurers can stop it, and then have the king finally agree because "God damn it, it's just more trouble than they are worth"
>>
How would I go about making a Level 1 powerful, old wizard who lost all of his memories?

I was going for a comedy character a bit like the wizards from (Terry Pratchetts) Unseen University who's either sleeping, reminiscing about the pranks he would play on his roommates when he was a young lad at the academy or talking about recipes for nice desserts/puddings.

Even though he's forgotten almost everything, I want to have moments where his cunning and intellect shows, probably through deception or performance skills. Also is there any way for a mage to have a coded journal that looks like a recipe book?

I was thinking of a sorcerer (for the Charisma spell modifier) disguised as a mage, could this work in 5e?
>>
>>53269071

Giving monk spellcasting is troublesome because monks, barbarians and Warlocks are the only class that gain 0 spellcasting level.

Monks by themselves are fairly strong, having bonus-action dodge, multiple attacks, slow fall, catching arrows, d8, high base AC, high mobility. Adding spellcasting to them runs the risk of allowing them to literally do anything.

The examples you gave already unless picking one, locks you out of the others upon character creation are too powerful.
Examples: Flurry of Pounce. Move 20 ft, attack, flurry of blows. Target has to make 3 saving throws.

Think long and hard what you want from your homebrew and be very self-critical.

Right now it seems way too strong just by giving them spellcasting levels.
>>
>>53269107
>>53269211

Well, it's tricky. About 40 years ago, the elves invaded the human city, nearly destroyed everything, and killed her son. She led the forces which drove them back, right to their own gates, executed their King, and imposed harsh surrender conditions.

Years later, she's still bitter, but the new human King is too young to remember the conflict, and she's the only one who still hates the elves. She's convinced that they're planning to attack again (and she's half-right, though it's more a conspiracy than a policy) and wants to get them out of the human city, full-on Inquisition-style.

From her point of view, she's Lawful Good. So no trickery, no abuse, she wants to do this all above board, just incredibly hard-line.

Nazism could potentially work. The closest thing I've got so far is that there's a series of murders, and all the victims are elves, which she'll claim is a sign that they're a danger, because she's a bit nuts.
>>
>>53268723
What do you mean by handle social issue? We talking social interaction of the PCs with the world?
>>
>>53269219

A way ingame to make your coded journal to look like a cook book?
Have it be a cookbook and ritualize Illusionary Script on it and GM allows it to be permanent instead of only lasting 10 days. The illusion being that for non-magically powerful creatures it just looks like a cookbook.

But a character who is super powerful that just has amnesia is fairly common and tends towards people overacting and being edgelord mcedge "well like you know, my character is actually super powerful so he might know the level 20 archmage Kharzindaak he just forgot about it, let me roll an insight if i remember anything. Oh look a nat 20, i should be able to skip past whatever mission or campaign you had in mind and just get the reward from this roll."
>>
>>53269281
He means how do you push for gay marriage being legalized and even celebrated in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>53269268

It doesnt matter if from her point of view shes lawful good. Her being lawful and the laws/city/ruler/king saying "we dont do this" should be enough for her, even though she personally doesnt like it, she has to abide by the law.

Let her know this and ask if shes then willing to go chaotic good.

From there on create situations where her morals will come into question, are you going to torture this man who may be innocent (hes not but she doesnt know this) thereby committing an EVIL act.

Basically lead her down the path of villainy and at some point have other characters point this out to her "You had good intentions, but see where this has taken you! Youre breaking the laws! Youre torturing people for information! Youre no better than they were!"

Would be some good storytelling imo.
>>
>>53269268
>From her point of view, she's Lawful Good
Sibjective Moral Alignments aren't a thing. She's between True and Lawful Neutral at best.

Blaming the elves on their own murders can be a thing. Especially if she plays on the Kings insecurity of helplessness, claims elvish No-go zones, and dismiss anything the party says as naive well meaning elvish sympathizing.

Don't have her be a blatant racist either. Let her allow for people to have elvish friends and go "yeah sure, but Lord Silverleaf isn't like the rest of them"
>>
>>53269310
That can come down to the DM though, and can also give the DM a couple plot hooks to keep straying PC's in the game. For example, a new player in agame I was in did the whole "this person is possessed by the spirits of dead druids that give them insight and power but is driving them crazy," trope, and the DM handled it amazingly well when the player tried to run with it in directions like you mentioned.
>>
>>53269015
They do it all the time to fish for (You)s.
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.06.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.06.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
Reposting this arcane paladin with these changes, not much to see if you've already looked at it. If not I'll accept any feedback you have. I still don't feel like I've gotten it to the point where there would be no major power differences between playing this, or a normal paladin. I'm considering making some abilities more situational to try and get there.

I put concentration on Nullification Zone, removed Perception from the Discovery reaction, gave Discovery Ritual Casting, and fixed some spelling/syntax errors.
>>
>>53269384
She's not a PC, sorry if that wasn't clear. She's an NPC, one of the ones designed to prompt a questline. It's not like it's a "pick A, B, or C" but I'm essentially setting up clear sides where they can buddy up close with the criminals, the would-be Inquisition, or the elves, and the party seem to be leaning towards the Inquisition.

>>53269401
This is helpful. I could actually combine both your advice and have her just descend into madness - having her go full-on evil without realising would both make sense for her character and make it easier to launch the Inquisition without keeping it too moral.
>>
>>53269356
Well I don't, my personal politics are kept out of fantasy settings.

When ever I world build I make it so some places yeah it's a free for all you got the odd races and shit like that. Other places it's the opposite where they've been pushed out if not treated as second class citizens. Each race has places that incorporate both sides of the spectrum, no need for my players to slog through everything being one way or the other.
>>
>>53269310
Yeah the edgelord special snowflake with amnesia thing had occured to me. I wasn't planning on pulling any bullshit with him "unlocking all his memories" or doing anything OP that's not in the character sheet. I was thinking more along the lines of "comedy hobo-wizard who fucked up a spell and lost his mind/memories" but he sometimes surprises the other PC's by tricking the town guard when they just thought he was a crazy hobo wizard.

But thanks for the advice. Illusory script sounds like exactly the spell I want.
>>
>>53269384
>Lawful means only following the laws of the land you are in

Yeah no, any paladin playing lawful good, mostly of the devotion old school type, is not bound by laws that are unjust, cruel or unusual. If those laws are in place it is within a paladin's power to outright ignore these laws or actively work to see them changed.

With adding in subjective setting it makes things even more murky, I'd argue for Lawful Neutral, if not Lawful Evil depending on your personal morals and leanings.
>>
>>53269555
That doesn't sound like a very inclusive setting, anon! Have you at least included X-Cards for people who are more sensitive to your hateful bullshit?
>>
>>53269222
So i should stick to the Totem Animal theme and balance it a bit better.
Giving them a form of ritual casting however should be acceptable.
>>
>>53269472
You can have the inquisition be formed for an actual legitimate reason at first, and then be redirected to the cleansing of the [s]jews[/s] Elves
>>
>>53269637
No because I allow them to leave the table at anytime and find another DM, I won't force my political ideals on them and they should have the common decency to do the same.

I realize this is in jest but I still feel it needs to be said.
>>
Hey not a big deal or anything but does anyone know how often 5etools gets updated these days? It's still missing stuff from the most recent UA.
>>
>>53269676
That actually works pretty well. The city is full of werewolves and vampires. Cheers anon.
>>
File: e84.png (604KB, 600x893px) Image search: [Google]
e84.png
604KB, 600x893px
>>53269676
Man it sounds like we're recreating Germany before WW2, I wonder who will win this time?
>>
>>53269568
Just say he hit 100, and BOOM he's an old old old man now. They can probably infer he used to be stronger, you don't need to beat anyone over the head with it.
>>
>>53269706
Hopefully the good guys.
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 500x625px
My paladin has been suduced into serving a green dragon deity
In character feels this is the right choice
Out of character am terrified
>>
>>53268812
>Huge map, unaligned tiles
Is it me or is aligning a map, even with the tool, nearly impossible?
>>
File: cuchulainn.jpg (41KB, 384x600px) Image search: [Google]
cuchulainn.jpg
41KB, 384x600px
stat him, /5eg/
>>
>>53269706
That is exactly what I was going for, yes.
>>
>>53269723
Story time, also is this about to become a magical realm thing?
>>
>>53269727
I can easily align smaller maps, but fuck huge ones are always off slightly. I just try and get as close as I can and then I make the grid bright red so it doesn't get visually confusing.
>>
>>53269727
Yes, which is why you don't align map. You turn off roll20 grid, and use the one that's already drawn on the map.
>>
File: IMG_8978.png (675KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8978.png
675KB, 1041x1066px
>>53268745
>>
>Official artificer can't even animate objects
>Unofficial artificers are all full casters
Ok
>>
>>53268723
Do you guys have monotheism in your game? Do you emphasize the differences between how a pantheon is worshiped, and how monotheism is different?
>>
>>53269015
I was pretty sure it was an Orc with a more mundane color palette.
>>
>>53269873
No.
>>
>>53269873
Sort of. In our DM's setting, there's a dominant monotheistic religion, and many pagan gods, who are almost forgotten now.
The funny thing is, the old gods are interesting, while monotheistic religion is a fucking borefest. It's like christianity, but with everything interesting and unique taken away. You can't even DEUS VULT, because there are no crusades.
>>
How useful is Misty Visions in actual gameplay?
>>
>>53269873
>Do you guys have monotheism in your game?

Yes

>Do you emphasize the differences between how a pantheon is worshiped, and how monotheism is different?

No I leave that up to the players so they can help contribute to the world and make it more to what they wanted in such instances.
>>
>>53269613

Then youre Neutral Good. Not Lawful good.

Lawful - i respect the laws
Neutral - I dont care if im respecting laws or not as long as i do what i think is right.
Chaotic - I dont respect laws, i wish freedom to do what i want.

If a paladin doesnt respect the laws of his kingdom, even if they dont make sense to him, then hes a neutral good or chaotic good character.

A lawful good paladin serves his oath and laws whether they make sense to them or not, they are beyond his understanding, it is not for the paladin to judge whether slaying a criminal is the right thing to do, it is the law.

By definition if you dont abide by the laws of the kingdom you serve or by the oaths you took, you are not lawful.
>>
>>53268747
I've been playing dungeons and dragons for like 2 years and I haven't fought a single dragon.
Lots of fucking constructs with guns, for some reason, across multiple campaigns.
>>
File: sceptic wizard.jpg (824KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
sceptic wizard.jpg
824KB, 1200x803px
>>53269723
I once knew a chaotic good cleric that was misguided into worshipping an ancient red dragon demigod. He later betrayed his race, sided with the orcs, genocided a whole capital city and the campaign basically ended with him and the party destroying all the civilization on the eastern part of the continent in a mutual conflict while the remnants of the actual eldritch evil that we didn't take full care of sort of stepped back, said "fuck it" and went to sleep.
So be careful. Never deal with a dragon.
>>
>>53269873
Humans have the only monotheistic religion in my setting. They went all Deus Vult during their heyday and pissed off the other races, but now that a few centuries have passed everyone is on decent terms.
The other races all recognise the human 'God' as one of many deities and pay tribute to him in their own ways.
>>
So who's the character equivalent of Johnathan Harker in Curse of Strahd?

I suppose Van Richten is obviously Van Helsin, and Ireena is either Mina or Lucy, either way.
>>
>>53270017
Yet if someone still works within the laws they are being lawful, especially if they are working within the laws to change laws they feel are unjust or cruel.

To simply state since you don't follow all laws everywhere to the letter means you are automatically not lawful is silly.

Is a lawful paladin forced to follow the laws of a land ruled by devils to retain his alignment? Especially if he doesn't know that devils pull the strings?

How about a land ruled by a tyrant who is cruel and kills people for the smallest slight, but it is the law? Is he no longer lawful for pushing to changes such things either through lawful means or other?

If following the law to the letter is the only way to be lawful then no one is because that's how lawful stupid works.
>>
File: aligned map.jpg (241KB, 869x921px) Image search: [Google]
aligned map.jpg
241KB, 869x921px
>>53269727
i actually don't have much trouble with map alignments. Use the auto align to ballpark it, then align it by hand.
>>
>>53270191
Uh, anon? Why are you using DM version of the maps, with all the labels on?
>>
>>53270211
because i'm the gm and see it, i have it set up that the players cant see that map. They only get the player friendly version on their side
>>
>>53270017
Im getting tired of discussing paladins, but anyway. The law of god is superior to the laws of man. Guess which one a Paladin cares for?
And also, your last statement is just stupid, You imply that only lawful paladins need do abide to his oath.
>>
>>53270238
I've never thought of putting both maps down and making the GM one only visible to me. You're either a genius or I'm really dumb.
>>
>>53268745
>>53265052
>We rolled for stats and I'm a variant human 7(+1), 17, 8, 11(+1), 13(+1 from a feat), 14
Consider the following: Standard Array Variant Human
8, 15(+1),10, 12, 13(+1), 14, pick any feat you like.
If you're going to cancer for stats, at least take the 18 starting Dex when you have the chance.

Less harshly, when you roll for stats, you roll then decide what you're playing. You can't go into it with a character idea in mind.

>>53265200
>>Expanded options within subclasses, like how for Wot4e monk you get choices each time.
Call these martial spell lists and realize they'll inevitably become a bloated, system mastery degree-holding, trap option filled, character optimization required mess. Like PF. The spell lists already have some real stinkers. It's not a design to seek to emulate.

>>53265533
>I don't prepare spells and fill spell slots with them to use later.
>I prepare potions and fill vials with them to use later.
It's the same fucking thing unless you do give them away, and if you do give them away why are *you* actually on the adventure instead of just selling the potions to people with combat skills from town? Nevermind that making magical potions usually involves all the same kinds of things as casting spells in D&D: Weird Chants, Creepy Ingredients, and Specific Stirring Techniques. That's the challenge faced to make a good homebrew adventuring brewer.

>>53268333
Nomadic Mind is the Mystic's Jack-of-All-Trades. So you banned it in an effort to make the Mystic a jack-of-all-trades.
>>
File: playermap.jpg (141KB, 814x845px) Image search: [Google]
playermap.jpg
141KB, 814x845px
>>53270211
this is my player's side
>>
>>53270287
it's nice because all the traps and secret doors are still hidden, there wont be an S or a door on their side, just a blank wall.

Also, i didn't have to have to keep flipping through the damn book going "Ok, was this room 17z or 17b?"

Downside? You have to align twice as many maps.
>>
>>53270017
>If a paladin doesnt respect the laws of his kingdom, even if they dont make sense to him, then hes a neutral good or chaotic good character

Also I just realized that is statement doesn't matter unless your setting forces paladins to be apart of a kingdom. Paladins swear their oaths to a higher ideal that is above kingdoms and most mortals. They follow the laws as they should be in an ideal, not the ones made by those who do not live up to such an ideal.

In other words paladins normally don't serve kingdoms, they serve their oaths and ideals above all else.
>>
>>53270292

Why are Rose and Thorn hanging out at the foyer?
>>
File: Imfuckingmadbro.png (174KB, 276x519px) Image search: [Google]
Imfuckingmadbro.png
174KB, 276x519px
>>53269463

Hey guys. How about this. How about everyone gets a flat bonus to saving throws equal to my int modifier, i get double int obviously. So basically im proficient with all saving throws :D

Oh and guys you totally cant see me, if you try to find me, thats my class feature so dont try.

Oh and btw if i use my smite, i get to chooes what element it is and like if i want i can make it so that i have resistance to any element i choose, oh and i can just do that, its not a spell so pls dont try to counterspell that.

Oh and did i mention that is only the base class?
Yeah if i go a special super protection one then i not only get resistance, but i get DOUBLE resistance. So like i have saving throws against everything cuz im a super cool arcane dude and my int applies to all saves, but i also get resistance to anything i choose and like then i also half any damage i would take anyway lol. Im so balanced!

Oh and like i get double my health at maximum hp through temp HP. But this is special temp HP and i can add 20 more temp HP to it every turn lol, nvm that thats against RAW.

Dude for real. This is a massive bunch of overpowered garbage.

Oh and i get a super version detect magic as a class feature level 1 that also tells you what spell school is being used.

Oh and you get to cancel any magical effects at will with your lay on hands which can give people temp-HP above their hp maximum unlike a paladins which can only heal.

Also why the fuck would you get Hex? Its a strictly warlock only spell. Why would someone who hunts monstrosities and aberrations get a spell you only get if you make a pact with a fiend or a magical patron?

Take your superman level magical paladin somewhere else.
Stupidly overpowered and you pretty much cherrypicked the best spells from wizard and paladin to have strong offensive capabilities and strong utility aswell as strong defensive stuff from your base class and high saving throws AND you also have advantage on all int checks.
>>
>>53270365
players didn't put them to rest, tried to lead them out of the house instead.it didn't work.
>>
>>53270355
>Downside? You have to align twice as many maps.
True, I fucking hate how difficult it is to align them. But I will probably start doing it, after all it is the GMs role to suffer in silence for their players to have a better game experience.
>>
>>53270383
Weird.

My players put them to rest, then Gustav, then Elisabeth, then the maid, and even Walter got laid up in his crypt

I made the shambling mound to be basically the reincarnated body horror monstrosity that became of the still born baby once all that dark juju shit did its work on the family.

Somehow my party managed to kill it
>>
>>53270292
>All those unexplored rooms
Triggered.
>>
>>53270505
my group killed theirs fairly easily. Of course, after making it all the way through that damn house, they saw that pile and immediately knew something was fucked, so they laid a trap for it.

>>53270533
they explored those rooms, i just covered them back up because they closed the doors and I wanted to add some tension.
>>
>>53270187

They would leave the service of that tyrant and find somewhere else to work. They would not continue serving that tyrant and just undermine their oaths and disobey laws.

>>53270244

Well if youve sworn yourself to a god, then it is even more vital that you follow their laws. If the god says "all undead are aberrations" then sucks to be you, you have to kill them or youre no longer being lawful.

This is why 5E has paladins follow Oaths instead. And the oaths instead.

But regardless I just dislike it when paladin players act all holier than thou that they are beacons of virtue when you try to make a deal with an imp but then are glad to look the other way when the sassy thieving elf-rogue bats their eyelashes and theyre like "It serves the greater good for me to accept payment from criminals who are actively working to undermine the laws i was sworn to uphold"

I think if a player is playing a lawful good paladin they should have to define their oath and their ideals. Just saying "greater good" isnt good enough.

It feels like lawful good went from "i usually follow my oath except for some extreme cases" to "i almost never follow my creed except for when it suits me."

And thats just poor roleplay to me.
>>
>>53269795
Basically for taking my paladin oath, my DM and I did about an hour session in frozen time out of usual playing schedule.

>Starts off with my Pally waking up back in home town except it's a nice place and the races are living in harmony and all that other gay shit.
>Paladin is weirded out because he's still in his bloodied clothes from the battle prior and his hometown was basically fantasy Gotham before
>Goes to his old home, finds an elderly woman drinking tea
>"Surprise, I'm actually the silver dragon goddess of friendship!"
>Talks about how nobody prays to her anymore, causing her to become weak
>muh good dragons genocided trying to seal the demon lords who escaped the abyss
>sees potential in my Paladin despite his brutality, references how he showed mercy to a goblin commander he should have slain
>"Dark shit is coming and with you as my champion, the world can be saved!"
>Suddenly ripped from the scene and in a pool of blood, colossal heads appear from the darkness one by one
>Oh shit, it's Tiamat
>Most of the heads want to kill me, green is amused by the development
>Suddenly blue head booms something along the lines of "FUCK OFF, I SUMMONED HIM HERE, LEAVE US TO TALK"
>Gives me a speech of how she will give me power beyond my whilst dreams to conquer, dominate and usher in a great empire, where peace will be maintained through the iron fist of my laws
>Fuck chaos
>Shown a vision of obliterating Orc invaders with my lightning maul, execute their leader nothin personnel style when he begs for mercy
>At that moment friendship dragon breaks through to me like "She's poisoning your mind, don't listen" and they're fighting over me to make a choice
>Time somehow freezes again inside this already frozen time
>Behind me is beautiful green haired woman
>Asks me to sit down and read this book
>Suddenly can understand Draconic
>"This is a taste of my power, I can give you knowledge and so much more"
>"I can offer you a compromise"

continued
>>
>>53269945
I mean, crusades weren't a thing in Christianity either for like, 50% of it's existence.
>>
File: image.jpg (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201KB, 1920x1080px
>>53269795
>>53270685

>"Friendship is indeed noble but such trust in others has certainly brought many rulers to an untimely end at the hands of their dear allies. And yes, whilst fear is an effective you will never earn the love of your people, and I'm sure many will not take kindly to their freedoms being robbed from them."
>"With my cunning and intellect, you, my champion, shall be truly invincible!"
>Time unfreezes and the two Dragons who were in the room before demand my Paladin make his choice
>He's quite overwhelmed and starts laughing hysterically at the scale of how fucked he is no matter what
>Turns his back on the others and calls out the name of the green head
>Friendship Dragon screams a "NO!" And blue head curses her sister, vows to make my life a living hell and reminds me that I've made a terrible choice
> Make my Oath of Conquest, have some ominous Draconic burned into my skin, compliment her wickedness and wake up with a nasty looking dagger on my lap, a pledge to the goddess of intellect and deception.

I can now make my Smites deal Poison damage instead of radiant if I really want for what ever reason.
>>
>>53270377
>Hey guys. How about this. How about everyone gets a flat bonus to saving throws equal to my int modifier, i get double int obviously. So basically im proficient with all saving throws :D
This is a Paladin ability.

>Oh and guys you totally cant see me, if you try to find me, thats my class feature so dont try.
This is an alternative to disease immunity, and is not and important balance factor.

>Oh and btw if i use my smite, i get to chooes what element it is and like if i want i can make it so that i have resistance to any element i choose, oh and i can just do that, its not a spell so pls dont try to counterspell that.
You're choosing one of 3 reasonably resisted elements that demons/devils resist all of as opposed to an element only 2 things in the MM resist.

>Yeah if i go a special super protection one then i not only get resistance, but i get DOUBLE resistance. So like i have saving throws against everything cuz im a super cool arcane dude and my int applies to all saves, but i also get resistance to anything i choose and like then i also half any damage i would take anyway lol. Im so balanced!
You don't get resistance, you get half damage on failed saves to an ally at level 7 though.

>Oh and like i get double my health at maximum hp through temp HP. But this is special temp HP and i can add 20 more temp HP to it every turn lol, nvm that thats against RAW.
It's a level 20 ability. Moon Druids have +200 HP a turn from becoming a mammoth every round.
>>
>>53270377
>Oh and i get a super version detect magic as a class feature level 1 that also tells you what spell school is being used.
It's an alternative to detecting various monsters. I'm considering getting rid of the abberation/monstrosity clause since it's bloat.

>Oh and you get to cancel any magical effects at will with your lay on hands which can give people temp-HP above their hp maximum unlike a paladins which can only heal.
Temp HP lasts for an hour so yes you can pre-buff and have better action economy. It's not healing, and they receive no healing spells so they can't use it as a source of infinite combat revives. Weakened Dispel Magic is still very good, and I'm considering ways to make it better, but still clean/readable.

>Also why the fuck would you get Hex? Its a strictly warlock only spell. Why would someone who hunts monstrosities and aberrations get a spell you only get if you make a pact with a fiend or a magical patron?
Believe it or not, but there are very few spells at level 1 that fit the bill of "Shutting other people down".

>Stupidly overpowered and you pretty much cherrypicked the best spells from wizard and paladin to have strong offensive capabilities and strong utility aswell as strong defensive stuff from your base class and high saving throws AND you also have advantage on all int checks.
No spells were cherry picked since I basically put everything on there, and left cutting it down for later.

Thank you for all of your feedback. I consider it all.
>>
>>53270574
>They would leave the service of that tyrant and find somewhere else to work. They would not continue serving that tyrant and just undermine their oaths and disobey laws.

There you go again believing paladins are sworn to a kingdom or to uphold the laws of such. They are sworn to their oaths nothing beyond that, if they are lawful they follow just laws and work to change the ones that are not just.

Point to me where it says paladins are sworn in such a way and not to their own personal oaths which may clash with laws of the land, depending on the oath, especially when having to deal with the laws of say a devil run land, or hell even a just land where they have some archaic forms of punishment that can be seen as cruel.

>It feels like lawful good went from "i usually follow my oath except for some extreme cases" to "i almost never follow my creed except for when it suits me."

>And thats just poor roleplay to me.

It is but that is more on the DMs being lax in not punishing paladins this edition who stray from their oaths.
>>
>>53270685
>>53270713
...What.

Like, I get that the green one was the only one speaking any degree of sense given the two other retards in the room, but like.
That entire scenario is just weird as fuck.
>>
Weird question, but can any DMs post examples of their roll20 overlays?

I'm kind of not satisfied with the way my stuff looks and it's so bad that I'm worried I'm pulling people out of the game.
>>
>>53270713
>Sided with the green dragon head
>Make my Oath of Conquest
>Poison damage smite
Nigga, you Treachery now.
>>
>>53270844
Maybe I'm way too hungry but I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>>53270055
>>53270806
>>53270866

Can't dragons turn into smokin' hot humanoids you can totally bang?
>>
>>53270866

This.

But i do like the nice RP to his paladin order.
>>
>>53270884
not just humanoids, you freaky devil.
>>
>>53270806
I had to condense the story quite a bit, it made a little more sense in the call but yeah, I was given two extremes and a scary in between.

Could have maybe rejected them all but this seemed fun.
>>
>>53270884
You don't bang the dragon. The dragon bangs you.
>>
>>53270879
I phrased it confusingly, basically just let me see what your roll20 set-up looks like.

Maps, tokens, etc.
>>
>>53270866
I'm thinking about retconning to treachery, flavour wise it's a definitely more thematic.

Never opposed to getting Haste and Invisibility powers either
>>
>>53270911
Well then you can look up the thread for mine:
>>53270292
>>53270191
basically i have two map layers, the player map is on the actual map layer while the GM map is on the GM layer, which is good because it appears over the map layer, letting me see all the GM goodness while keeping the players blissfully unaware of the traps they are about to step on.

Tokens i just keep off to the side in the fog of war until needed.
>>
File: 1455878327756.jpg (91KB, 515x683px) Image search: [Google]
1455878327756.jpg
91KB, 515x683px
>>53270901
Ohoho, you're calling me the scoundrel for wanting my Draconic waifu to have ten fingers, ten toes, two arms and two legs?
>>
I just wondered a thing: having a magical focus lets you ignore material components that lack a cost
the material component for most of the good demon summoning spells (blood from a intelligent humanoid killed in the past 24 hours) technically has no cost, cuz it's not like you can buy those
would having a focus let one get around the human sacrifice thing?
>>
>>53270954
degenerate.
>>
>>53270942
You can stay conquest if you want.

Until you get beaten and turn craven to save your own hide.
>>
>>53270685
>>53270713
Well it'll be interesting to say the least, also if you made the choice based on the character don't worry about it OOC. Enjoy the ride and maybe you'll get to show her your champion if you know what I mean.
>>
>>53269568
Im wondering
What would happen if you make the wizzard had scribed cooking recepies over his spells. Thats why he lost his spells. And he have less hp and prof from being lazy bumm and sitting on his ass for 20 years.
>>
>>53270965
The component has to have no cost and also not be consumed by the spell when cast. So maybe.
>>
File: 1.jpg (153KB, 1246x878px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
153KB, 1246x878px
>>53270911
If you ever feel bad about how your roll20 game looks, just take a look at mine.
>>
Warlock 5/ Mystic 15, thoughts?

Fey Bladelock 5:
Thirsting Blade
+1 Pact Weapon
Moon Bow

Wu Jen Mystic:
Spell slots for smites
Mastery of Force - AC
Mastery of Air - Flying
Nomadic Arrow - Bonus action extra attack, smites with Psi
Nomadic Step - GTFOing
Celerity - More GTFOing
Psionic Weapon - +3 weapon as buff
Bestial Form - 0 concentration flight
Intellect Fortress - Saves
Mantle of Joy? - More saves
>>
>>53271007
I thought it applied to things that are consumed by the spell, like bat shit for fireballs.
>>
>>53271013
damn dude, why not just use the polygon tool and snap to grid?
>>
>>53271029
>Multiclassing UA
>>
What's a good race for an arcane archer? I'm not sure if I want to play an elf but I really like the idea of Seeking Arrow, letting an enemy think they've escaped and then sniping them from around 3 corners. I'm just stuck on the actual character part.
>>
>>53271036
But if a cost is
indicated for a component, a character must have that
specific component before he or she can cast the spell.
If a spell states that a material component is
consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this
component for each casting of the spell.
>>
>>53271064
Leave the race blank and come up with a character that can fit what you're wanting to play. Then decide what race would most likely have lived such circumstances that make sense for the back story.
>>
>>53271044
You can do the same thing with Bladesinger 17/Warlock 3 and get 9th level spells.
>>
>>53271041
I guess freehand just feels more convenient to draw on spot, especially if I want to add some detail such as a hole in the wall or some debris or whatever. If I prepare ahead of time, I do use polygon tool and generally try to make things neater, but I (almost) never prepare ahead of time other than maybe preparing appropriate tokens for enemies.
>>
>>53271068
Huh. Forgot about that.
>>
>>53270191
>>53269727
What tool is this you speak of? Could be handy.

I just align by hand and then set the grid color to opaque. That way even if it's a fraction off, the players don't notice.
>>
>>53271108
if it works, it works
>>
>>53271132
there is an auto-scale tool to align the grid, but i suggest doing that only to get close and then scale the rest by hand.
>>
File: pota4.png (335KB, 289x750px) Image search: [Google]
pota4.png
335KB, 289x750px
Tried yesterday, but didn't get a good answer. Anyone know what this is supposed to depict? It's on pg 13 of Princes of the Apocalypse.
>>
>>53271147
Where is it, though?
>>
>>53271152
Looks like it depicts a group of adventurers heading up to a spooky tower.

Hope that helps senpai
>>
>>53271165
right click>Advanced>Align to Grid.
>>
>>53271174
Fuck me... I don't know how I missed that. Thanks.
>>
File: 1404329922099.jpg (16KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
1404329922099.jpg
16KB, 213x237px
>>53271169
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>53271196
At least I tried
>>
File: 1440853070032.jpg (133KB, 490x369px) Image search: [Google]
1440853070032.jpg
133KB, 490x369px
>>53271207
Did you though? Did you!?
>>
File: 1481040636498.jpg (38KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
1481040636498.jpg
38KB, 600x722px
>>53271224
Yeah I gave a description of what was depicted in the picture provided, not my fault it wasn't what you were hoping for.

It could also be a metaphor, aren't we all just "adventurers" of sorts looking for the next adventure to fill the days? More often than not it's far off on the horizon and seems spooky and scary because it's filled with the unknown.
>>
>>53271088
not while taking the UA invocations...
>>
>>53268789
Jot your initiative down, nigga. Real simple shit

dingus
donkus
That one goblin
the other goblin
wingus
Giant spider
The Smooze

Cross off players and npcs off as they die.
>>
>>53269044
Also helps to give each one a different weapon. Or instrument if they have bards.
>>
>>53271029
Warlock sorcerer is better. Take a month off from adventuring/long resting and you can come back with dozens of 5th level slots ready.
>>
>>53269890
>>53269015

>le racism meme :^)

Back to /pol/.
>>
Has anyone run a treachery paladin?
How was the character?
How'd it play in the field?
>>
>>53271152

Having DMed the module, that is definitely not one of the Elemental Keeps. If I had to guess, it's probably concept art for either the fire cult or air cult keep that got left in because they had nothing better left to put there.

It's a shame, because I thought the fire keep had some cool encounters, but the keep itself was lame. This looks much better.
>>
File: 1481494272413.jpg (63KB, 551x899px) Image search: [Google]
1481494272413.jpg
63KB, 551x899px
I'm about to write my first campaign, /5eg/. I hope I don't die.
>>
>>53271385
>There is no way people are genuinely racist, it's the current year!

I mean I guess if that's how you want to view the world go ahead.
>>
>>53271433
>Want to call the elf ugly, but racists already poisoned the well
Fuck 'em. That elf is ugly, as expected of elves. There's a reason half elves are so common. Even the elves prefer humans.
>>
>Dwarves resist poison because only poison-resistant fetuses can survive the amount of alcohol dwarven mothers consume.
It explains so much.
>>
>>53271425
You fool, you've messed with the natural order of things! Don't you know that anyone who attempts to write their own setting ends up dead?

When I created my post apocaly-
>>
>>53271513
I agree my issue is with simply dismissing any opinions that differ from ones own as simply memes. Some people truly believe the things they type.
>>
What class should my next dwarf character be /5eg/?
>>
>>53271611
Mystic.
>>
>>53271611
Well it depends on what you've already played.

Personally next dwarf I'm making is a cleric, but a barbarian or paladin would be interesting.
>>
What's the best fighting style for Sword and Board? Do I play it safe with Defense, hit hard with Duelist, or run interference with Protector?
>>
I wanna try a Vengeance Paladin/Assassin. What's the best way to divide up my levels between the two?
>>
>>53271633
Ive played a dwarf ranger and a dwarf druid, Cleric seems so stereotypical to me but it just might work
>>
>>53271635
Start trying to describe your character, let their background choose, all three of those are fair options.
>>
File: shieldbreaker.png (321KB, 307x464px) Image search: [Google]
shieldbreaker.png
321KB, 307x464px
Considering making my next character a werewolf. Campaign is a clusterfuck anyway, so I can probably get away with making one.

Is this a good idea Y/N
>>
>>53271644
How much assassin do you want to assassin. I assume you want to use he assassinate ability, but after that it's meh.

If you have good stats, Rogue3/PaladinX. If you are going pointbuy or standard array, Rogue4.
>>
>>53271644
Check what Vax is running in CR
>>
>>53271635
Depends on if you're going for a tank build, or versatile build. Defense or protection for a tank, duelist for a versatile. You should probably go tank for sword and board though.
>>
>>53271255
What a jackass.
>>53271422
I hear that. I thought it might be one of the side treks in chapter 6, but I couldn't match it with anything.
>>
File: character(1).pdf (772KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
character(1).pdf
772KB, 1x1px
>>53268723
A blank slate to mess with your DM with if you ever get to a legendary campaign.

Kensai 8+Battlemaster 12

AC out of the ass, 4 attacks, Dex longsword also allevates the low damage output.

You can drop the CON ASI for Crossbow and Sharpshooter feats if you want to go ranged as well.
>>
>>53271651
It can be, but you can always think outside the box. Could be he's a cleric by force due to family or clan reasons and hates every moment of it. Could be he wanted to be a paladin but for some reason fell short and settled.

It'll all depend on how you want to run him in the long run.
>>
>>53271735
>dwarf

>settling

Come on anon i know you know better than that
>>
>>53271750
We're talking about not being stereotypical so there you go.
>>
>>53271702
Is it worth going 15/5 for the sneak attack damage and Evasion or is that less useful than level 5 slots?
>>
>>53271750
>>53271735
Or hell could reverse that, wanted to be a cleric but the church in his area didn't find he devout enough or whatever and so he settled on being a paladin.
>>
5eg, lend me your power! I am preparing a document full of system changes for when I eventually run a 5e game. I want to buff Land Druids to make them more appealing as a pure caster Druid, but don't know how to go about it. I was thinking of giving them their wisdom modifier to spell damage as a band-aid fix.
How would you buff the Land Druid?
>>
One of my players has become pregnant. How am I supposed to deal with this?
>>
>>53271833
>I am preparing a document full of system changes for when I eventually run a 5e game.

I'm curious now, what changes are you doing?
>>
>>53271381
>Warlock sorcerer is better. Take a month off from adventuring/long resting and you can come back with dozens of 5th level slots ready.

At that point I may as well go a bit deeper into Bladelock desu. I get the +3 bow and at will mage armor. 9th level spells MIGHT be worth it, I dunno. I'm a forever DM anyway so it's all just theorising. Mystic does seem to give me a whole bunch more things that might be useful, but actually there's nothing that a sorceror can't really do (except for 0 concentration flight - but if I really want to be dirty I can go winged feral tiefling)
>>
>>53271864
Story time for better advice
>>
>>53271806
The idea of a dwarf bard always sounded interesting to me, I think I'll go with that
>>
>>53271864

maybe stop putting it in your players
>>
>>53271864
Anon is it yours?
>>
>>53271872
Mostly changes to classes and spells.
>>
>>53271891
>>53271916
>>53271919
Keeping it short. There's a lot more to the rumour spreading than outlined here.
>no male dwarves in the setting
>mainly as a joke we decided they reproduce through Homosexual mating
>halfling monk in my group makes his character guy
>wants to keep it a secret
>spreads a rumor that the dwarf fighter in the party is gay around town
>town is skeptical of homosexuality and he gets ostracised
>dwarf fighter goes down in combat
>halfling takes him into a tent and rapes him
>hopes to convince everyone that the dwarf is gay and not him
>the dwarf would now be pregnant as a result of the sexual assault
>>
>>53271946
What kind of fucking magical realm campaignade you running anon?
>>
>>53271896
That actually does sound pretty fun, good luck.
>>
>>53272004
It's just a homebrew setting. It's pretty standard sword and sorcerery, nothing outlandish about it besides taking the joke of
>have you ever seen a female dwarf?
too far
>>
>>53271946
Ok you want my advice, stop DMing, this is so many levels of magical realm that it's pathetic.

Next question how have the players reacted to this?
>>
>>53271946
>dwarves can only reproduce via homosexual mating
>people for some reason still ostracize them for being gay?
>wait, wouldn't most dwarves be gay by default then? being straight means cross-species fuckery
>>
>>53271946
What the fuck
>>
>>53268723
Hey 5eg, do you have any 3rd party spells you like to keep around? Do you have a banlist of spells?
>>
>>53272067
Everyone thinks it's quite funny besides the guy playing the dwarf who is a massive homophobe irl

>>53272082
Humans and dwarves don't see eye to eye so to speak. And technically yeah, they're all gay
>>
>>53272143
I stand by my previous statement stop DMing, you've created a world and allowed a situation to happen that would make a player wildly uncomfortable.

Keep an eye on that guy/dm threads I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up in it.
>>
>>53271672
no but do it either way.
>>
>>53271946
Stop
>>
>>53272193
Everything else in the campaign is totally normal. Just the other players have a tendency to bully one of the others so they pull all sorts of shit on him like accidentally pushing him down stairs and shit or sticking nails in his hands.

>>53272240
'no'
>>
>>53271946

>no male dwarves.

>dwarf fighter..

just fucking stop.
>>
>>53272257
>>53271946
>halfling takes him into a tent and rapes him
>Just the other players have a tendency to bully one of the other
>pushing him down stairs
>sticking nails in his hands

You are a horrible DM and a horrible friend for allowing the others to bully this player.

>>53272143
>Everyone thinks it's quite funny besides the guy playing the dwarf

I'm sure his character being Raped didnt help contribute to this.
If one of the PCs in my campaign raped another PC or even an NPC i'd kick them out of the game.

I get it, people love Game of Thrones and want to be "dramatic" like the show, but that kind of stuff is abhorrent imo and doesn't belong at the gaming table.

Also how would a Halfling and a Dwarf reproduce? They are different Species aren't they?
>>
>>53272257
That changes nothing about what I said, you as a DM let this go way too far especially knowing one player is definitely not ok with such. Your job is to try and ensure everyone can have fun at the table, does this sound like it'd be fun if you were a homophobe?

Is the one they bully the homophobe?
>>
>>53272328
>>53272380
To be fair, this guy is a total prick who metagames constantly and tries to cheat so I think he deserves it really. I would kick him out of the group but the other players get a good laugh out of keeping him around, so he can stay until he decides he's had enough. We used to play without this sort of behaviour but the other players have started doing to solely to aggravate this one guy. It's pretty funny watching him sperg out. There are plenty of other halfbreeds in the game so I don't see how a halfling and a dwarf wouldn't work. And yes, the guy being bullied is the homophobe. That's why they made their characters gay and made sexual advances towards his character.

>>53272324
There are no females.
>>
>>53272405
>metagames constantly and tries to cheat so I think he deserves it really.

Yeah stop DMing and posting anytime now, be a fucking adult for once and tell him "hey I'd like you to leave since you xyz" how old are you honestly? Because this is some straight up passive aggressive teen bullshit.

inb4 I was merely pretending
>>
>>53272474
Like I said, I could have and still would kick him out. But the other players are having a laugh with the shit they're doing, so I'm fine with that continuing for now.
>>
File: 1492812899225.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492812899225.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>53271946
>someone posts a strange situation that probably shouldn't be happening, but provides zero details
>upon providing details proves that he's a fucking retard
Every time.
>>
>>53272527
Gotta say this says alot and explains alot about what's going on in the world at large.

Ok keep being a bottom bitch the rest of your life and justifying it with "w-well others are having fun so it's alright to let it continue."
>>
My group is going to stomp into the high forest in search of turlang (skt). What are some good wilderness encounters for the high forest for level 6? So far I have :

-one day of being is gnoll territory, lots of raids and attacks

-one day of being in elf territory, lots of skill challenges with balance ropes and traps and such. Potential to get lost and have the elves escort them out

-some survival checks with insects or the environment

-a few encounters with random big beasts (pulling in some cool stuff from volos)

-at least one day or night with a raid during a rest because they are sleeping in a dangerous forest

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>53272686
But I don't have a problem with what's happening to the guy. I think it's kind of funny honestly.
>>
>>53272405
Bullying someone because you believe they are a shitty person doesn't make it okay, even if your perception of their shittiness is true.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I get it though, you don't like the guy and think you are excused from treating him like a human being because he's got some serious flaws. That's a pretty common attitude in SJWs, so I am not totally surprised.

imo you and the other players are probably making his homophobia worse by bullying him.

I think you and the other players have this desire to express your cruelty onto someone. So you found someone you thought was okay to bully and are trying to make the things you dislike about him worse so you can actively feel good about treating him poorly.
>>
>>53268723
>How do you handle social issues in your games?
This isn't defined enough to answer.

But generally "remove the problem player from the group" or "brutally punish them for attempting to bring real life social justice issues into a fucking game."
>>
File: 1393060113495.jpg (31KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1393060113495.jpg
31KB, 400x398px
>>53271946
>>
>>53272109
Cure Wounds.
>>
File: dudestop.jpg (14KB, 280x373px) Image search: [Google]
dudestop.jpg
14KB, 280x373px
>>53271385
The most racist person in the room is the person who accuses everyone else of racism.

Without fail.
>>
>>53272776
I just don't like fat "people" honestly. If he wants to get off job seekers and turn his life around maybe I'd give him a chance, but until then no.
>>
>>53272770
Still changes nothing about what I've said, you're a bottom bitch not mature enough to just ask the guy to leave because people obviously don't like him.

It's cool I remember being edgy in highschool.
>>
>>53272836
I hate fat people being a former fatass myself, I handle it by telling them I dislike them and ask them to go elsewhere.
>>
How do you deal with trannies in your games?
>>
>>53268723
If by social issues as in like issues the world faces like racism and sexism, it's only there to build PCs into true characters with a story, but that's only for players who want that shit.

A male human fighter who just wants to swing their longsword won't enjoy overcoming a difficult background into greatness.
>>
>>53272783
If anyone ever makes a tranny character I'm doing rocks fall you all die, no exceptions
>>
>>53272997
I'll let you know if the players dare to find out more about Chris the Assassin.

Basically I treat it as it only comes up if it's relevant.
>>
>>53272997
You make a character a trannie fine, but it better not be the central part of your character, of it is I'll tell you to rewrite it so it isn't or find another table to play at.
>>
Hi, the other players in my group are bullying me and it's making my want to kill myself. What should I do?
>>
>>53273099
Be an adult and ask them to stop or leave the table.
>>
>>53268723

Is that an ugly elf or a pretty orc?
>>
>>53273135
I can't leave. I don't have any other friends. Everyone in games workshop thinks I'm annoying too.
>>
Anyone that owns The Hidden Shrines of Tamoachan on Roll 20 can tell me what dimensions it set at? I am own the book and got the map off the megahub but I cannot for the life of me align the whole map to the grid and have no clue how they do it.
>>
Way of the 4 Elements should just be a part of the monks kit by default.
>>
>>53273151

Work on yourself then, analyze what other people find annoying and work to behave more normally socially. If everyone thinks you are annoying then you are probably doing something annoying.

If not that, the only answer is to find other equally annoying(or more accepting) friends.
>>
>>53272997
Burned at the stake.
>>
>>53273151
You found these assholes you can find other lesser assholes
>>
>>53269463
shit homebrew, feel ashamed.

>>53270377
this anon down here, is right on all points.
>>
>>53273182
No punching and ki should be the core of the monk, way of the four elements should be buffed so you don't feel useless.
>>
>>53273138
>Is that an ugly elf or an ugly orc

Ftfy

>>53273151
First off stop being such obvious bait

Second off to any of you chuckle fucks that actually have this problem work on yourself. Start having some pride in your appearance and how you conduct yourself in public. If a conversation doesn't warrant your personal beliefs don't bring them up. Start being more civil and when such topics do come up don't loose your cool and sperg out, be diplomatic, temper your language to be palatable for normies.

Also don't build your character around a fetish you have, or a personal belief you're unsure would make others uncomfortable or confrontational.
>>
If I want to remove armor restrictions (i.e. let mages wear heavy armor without fucking the somatic components) should i just straight up remove them or are there any mechanical things that i should look out for?
>>
>>53272997
>Pic related
>>
>>53273325
Yes armor class is supposed to be hard to come by for certain classes, that's why wizards and sorcerers need to be careful.
>>
>>53273270
The panda eats, shoots, and leaves.
>>
>>53273325
Tell the ones wanting to play a wizard in armor to start with a lvl in fighter, that way you gain heavy armor proficiency, and can cast spells in heavy armor.
>>
File: visible_confusion.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
visible_confusion.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>53272838
>>53272864

I'm only human, after all
>>
>>53273449
An example of a shit human without any pride yes
>>
>>53273449

Don't put your blame on me
Don't put your blame on me
Take a look in the mirror
And what do you see
Do you see it clearer
Or are you deceived
>>
File: WizardsBait.png (403KB, 495x692px) Image search: [Google]
WizardsBait.png
403KB, 495x692px
They just posted this on facebook. Planescape confirmed?
>>
>>53271735
I still have a build and a few character ideas knocking around for mountain dwarf blade pact warlock. Can revere a fiery entity trapped underground and go dark iron on it.

I was going to play a GOO patroned guild artisan who was sent back in time to avert a demonic invasion for the Shackled City adventures in Cauldron, since I'd read the books a decade ago. Basically terminator or twelve monkeys. He was a civilian before being sent back, but he happened to still be alive. All he knows is that demons destroy the city, eventually, so he's basically prepping for the apocalypse. Dwarven Doomsayer.
>>
>>53271883
A 15 sorcerer will have free flight, if they're draconic. Late, but it's there.
>>
I want to play a summoning-based spellcaster, but I know keeping track of summons just adds more work for the DM, which I don't want to do to him.

>What would be the easiest way mechanically to handle summoned creatures?
>What class would work best for this?
>Or is there a balanced homebrew that handles summoning well?
>>
File: 59297-terminator2_576pyxurz.jpg (134KB, 1600x979px) Image search: [Google]
59297-terminator2_576pyxurz.jpg
134KB, 1600x979px
>>53273761
>>
>>53271896
The dwarf paladin in Fell's Five was exiled for poetry, or something. Dwarf bard is neat.
>>
>>53273806
They all go on one turn, and roll average damage. Conjuretion Wizard or Shepard Druid from UA work well.
>>
>>53273824
Subversive dwarven poetry. Like:

>Is our love worth disobeying our clan?
>No.
>>
File: 1308569079040.jpg (34KB, 146x175px) Image search: [Google]
1308569079040.jpg
34KB, 146x175px
Our DM is shit but thinks he's good because he's been doing it for years

My friends had been playing with him as a DM for years and warned me about his bullshit but I still decided to play a season to see what he's like
I'd played with him as a player under a different DM a couple years ago for an entire season, and he always bitched and tried to ruin the game because he was not DM and disagreed with how the other DM ran the game

I don't want to waste a day of the week on bullshit but I also don't want to stop playing D&D altogether or stop seeing the group regularly
What should I do?
>>
>>53269463
I like it, might give it a go.
>>
>>53274018
Talk to him, explain to him what issues you're having and try to solve them. You know like an adult.
>>
>>53274018
start a new group, don't invite him
take a break if you have to, maybe try DMing the new group
>>
>>53274066
We tried that, he scaled back on the bullshit for a while but then it came back in full force
>>
>>53274018
Make the observation yourself, he bitched all this time that he wasn't DM it would be good to see what he does with it.
>>
>>53274018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting
>>
>>53274080
Talk to the other players and see if they want to stay or find another game, worse comes to worse become the DM.
>>
>>53274080
If the other players don't support you, just leave and find another group. That's just how it is.
>>
How do I sword and board fighter? What feats are good? Sentinel and flail master interest me especially.
Is Knight much of a tank? His marks are impressive, but you can't turn off this ability, and you don't have any way to mitigate damage you're going to get.
>>
File: Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf (698KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf
698KB, 1x1px
Reposting from the last thread.

I had just added the pirate's mantle to the list and would like some feedback as to how to make it more balanced. I originally wanted to give it Vampiric Touch instead of Animate Dead but Vampiric Touch requires a spell attack not a save. Anyone have a better spell in mind if the Animate Dead spell is too strong?

What do you guys think about the Dominate Monster spell for its final tier? DC too high? Too strong for a final ability? I made it so it can only work on undead to avoid potential abuse.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ
>>
>>53274192
just stop
>>
>>53274192
Why do you persist?
>>
Anons? Let's just say that we were to be getting either a Sigil Adventurer's Guide or a 5e equivalent to the Complete Book of Humanoids: what new PCs races would you most want to see in it?

For a reference, these are all the races we've had since D&D was a thing:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D%26D_PC_Races
>>
>>53274179
Samurai is good for tanky fightering. Also for swordboarding it kind of depends on whether you want to more sword or more board. For example, Shield Master is also good, in a different way from Sentinel. You can assist tank by taking the Protection Fighting Style, or take Dueling so you never have to two hand to get more damage.
>>
>>53274179
Shield master is a beast feat, a bonus action to knock down a enemy large or smaller, before you attack, so you gain advantage, and any ally who attacks in melee before the foe gets up, is godly.
>>
How would you handle re-growth of magical body parts? Do they retain their nature? I know Regeneration is the only official way of regenerating parts.

Long story short the party has an eyeball-less Medusa cripple they've been taking care of.
>>
File: bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>53274192
>>
>>53274179
If you want to be a tank with armor Heavy Armor Mastery is dope, say you get hit three times before going down, that's like saying you had 9 more health than normal.

Knight is a solid combination. Getting a Cleric to cast warding bond on you makes you an amazing tank.
>>
>>53274316
>Heavy Armor Mastery is dope
Why are you lying to the new guy?
>>
>>53272753
Bump
>>
File: 1480199228575.png (385KB, 671x461px) Image search: [Google]
1480199228575.png
385KB, 671x461px
>>53274245
Kender
>>
>>53274222
>>53274244
>>53274292

Because I want to build a good set of items for my campaign and or future campaigns, but to do that I feel you need adequate feedback and criticism from players and DMs alike to make sure they are not completely game breaking or unbalanced.

I come here because you all have been very helpful in making these items better.
>>
>>53274179
We have an Eldritch Knight in the party and he's a beefy tank with a shield
He uses spells like Blur and Shield and he's really really tanky
>>
>>53274330
Just because nobody takes it doesn't mean it's bad. In a typical game you are getting bludgeoning slashing and piercing damage most of the time. The more times you are hit the better it is.

And when he said tank I assumed he wanted to survive getting hit but not be a barbarian.
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.07.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.07.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53273236
Fixed more spelling/syntax errors. Simplified Sense Arcana to just be detect magic for a round. Dispel Magic only effects one spell under the level you pay for, requiring a check. Smite doesn't have the aberration/monstrosity bloat. Aura of Protection is changed to something less potent to atone for other advantages. And 39 spells have been cut.

If there are individual things you don't like I'll listen to it.
>>
>>53270911
I don't have the capabilities for a screenshot right now, but I can describe to you what I'm doing at the moment.

My party is going through a big dungeon. I've got the entire map that I drew in PS on the GM layer, with room numbers for references. As my players go through it I draw on the player-map-layer the stuff they can see. They've got their player tokens I chose from the free roll20 tokens that aren't exact but they know by know which is theirs. Monsters I just use the box tool to show what their size is. The occasional NPC I might draw a little symbol on the token layer. Simple stuff, nobody has complained.
>>
File: Map (6).jpg (776KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map (6).jpg
776KB, 1024x768px
So, I've been working on some dungeon/puzzle towers. They're probably not long enough, but I was planning for a campaign in the future and my deadline got pulled forward to this Saturday because our usual DM is away and I'm filling in with a start to my own campaign.

I need some ideas for filling in my final tower. So far I've got:

>Stone Tower: Hourglass-themed, rotating/flipping rooms, climbing a central tower, scorpion enemies
>Myst Tower: Labyrinth where the players can see where they are at any given time, but doors don't take them in the direction they're expecting, and each room contains a vision, puzzle, fight, etc.
>Light Tower: tile-based puzzles where one party member is separated and has to work out a system for guiding them across the safe tiles
>Iron Tower: flashbacks to the past of a kingdom, partly social followed by some straightforward fights, somewhat plot-based
>Water Tower: Non-functional, broken, all treasure already looted, there for plot reasons

I need something for the Shadow Tower that doesn't overlap with what I have already, and provides a unique experience. In exchange, here's the map for the Myst Tower. Happy to provide mechanics and ideas from the existing Towers for other DMs to nick.
>>
>>53274371
Does he have any kind of offensive spells? I always see this thing about how they shouldn't take any but there are a few AoE spells that should be worth taking for them.
>>
>>53274417
What's myst? Mist, but really pretentious and faggy?
>>
>>53274435
>1/3 caster
>Offensive spells
No.
>>
>>53273182
It just needs a few core element-flavored useful abilities to tie them all together, then it won't matter if all your disciplines suck.
>>
>>53274467
Yes. Burning Hands and Shatter among others. I know there are not many they should be taking, but come the fuck on. Why even bother then.
>>
>>53274366
these items are not good for the game and not good for 99% of campaigns, and you STILL haven't told us shit about your party and/or the expected users of these weapons.

relics are designed for a specific character are no one else, it's pointless to make all these special snowflake relics without at least some idea of their lore, their impact on the story, etc.

it's not our fault you are doing an awful job at this, so unless you start by doing a better job, all your feedback will be negative.
>>
>>53274245
Modron and Gythyanki are a must.
>>
>>53274449
Like a magical fog that serves to trap people on the prison island when they get lost. Feyfolk are Mystfolk in the local area.

Why you gotta be like this, it isn't even my concept, I just borrowed the name
>>
>>53274435
Maybe he does but I don't think I've seen him cast any

Honestly he's just a big armored dude with a shield and magical defenses
I'm not even sure what his class is supposed to do, the only "special" thing I've ever seen him do is a couple of times someone tried to disarm him and he was like "I'm immune".

As far as I'm concerned, Eldritch Knights can cast Shield, Blur, Mirror Image and cannot be disarmed and that's all there is to it.
>>
>>53274018
"No game" is better than "bad game."
>>
File: illithid savant.jpg (35KB, 502x633px) Image search: [Google]
illithid savant.jpg
35KB, 502x633px
>>53274245
isn't it obvious????

i don't know much about planescape nor think mind flayers really count as humanoids, but i guess i'd like to also see playable Giths, Thri-kreen, modrons or flumphs.
>>
>>53273449

I disagree.
>>
>>53272405
You realize you autistic fucks are the only ones sperging out. Stop dming, you're a dribbling retard.
>>
>>53274449
You know, Myst: the prequel to Riven.
>>
The PHB makes it clear that damage resistance is applied after all other effects
e.g. if you take 25 dmg and have an effect that reduces dmg taken by 5 and another effect that gives resistance, you'll first deduct 25-5 = 20 and then halve it to 10 with resistance (and not the other way around).

But what happens to temporary hitpoints? Does this also work this way? Do you lose your temporary hitpoints first, and only calculate resistance after they've been eliminated?
>>
>>53274529
Eventually, he will be able to teleport on Action Surge so he can nothing personnel someone.
>>
What's a good archnemesis for a Paladin of Kossuth?
>>
>>53274739
Temporary hit points are not an effect that changes damage, so first you half the damage, and then subtract from your temp hit points and/or hit points.
>>
>>53274739
Temporary hitpoints are just hitpoints you remove first and can't heal.
>>
>>53274739
It's still damage you take, which is reduced by half. The question reminds me of how shields take a lot of damage in Starcraft 1 though.
>>
>>53274759
...I never thought about it that way. Of course if he burns one of his free choices he could get Misty Step and start doing that earlier. Now that I think about it, most casters would be using it to run away or strategically position themselves, but an EK has no squish and can teleport right fucking next to an enemy with no shits given.
>>
>>53274739
Temporary hit points work just like hit points for the purpose of deducting them when you take damage.
>>
>>53274798
It's what my ancient paladin does with his second lvl spell slots, beside smiting ofc.
>>
>>53274798
>>53274822
Wait, everyone doesn't do that?
>>
>>53274822
Paladins are neat as shit in some of the things they can do, but I want an Arcane bent halfcaster so that it's more designed to to that shit in more versatile and blasty ways. Good ole Duskblade and Swordmage and Magus.
>>
>>53269222
>monks by themselves are strong
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>53274836
The few free choices that an EK get are a precious thing and the Wizard has a fucking huge list of shit that most of the time they are locked out of using. Not all of them want to teleport I guess.
>>
>>53274876
True, I always saw it as a decent utility because it can be used to get into a fray quicker, quickly get to an ally that needs help or get the fuck out of dodge if shit goes south.
>>
>>53274876
Dont underestimate the ability to also misty step 30 feet into the air, doing a wicked plunging attack onto the enemy from above.
>>
>>53274413
nullification zone doesn't specify how you target it, what the max range is. Maybe you intend it to be centered on yourself?

otherwise I really like it. I think it matches the DM recommendations for creating a class pretty tightly. Would allow in my game/10
>>
>>53271946
Jesus fucking Christ you and your players need help
>>
>1 player is an observer that hasn't leveled up for 3 sessions
>1 is a self insert normal guy who bails all the time
>1 is a veteran dnd player and constantly cheats / argues
>1 is a new player who also cheats and whines, read up on 2 premade campaigns

My first time DMing

Does it ever get better
>>
>>53275007
>nullification zone doesn't specify how you target it, what the max range is. Maybe you intend it to be centered on yourself?
Good catch. I don't know how I left it that way. I copied destruction wave, and added 'strike the ground', with 'centered on the ground'.
>>
>>53275128
Yeah by getting new players
>>
>>53274500
Sure! Allow me to clarify my current party and some lore that I have made so far.

>Elf Assassin
>Human Totem Barbarian
>Human Maestro Bard
>Halfling Lore Bard/Arcane Trickster

>Distract and Deceit
Was designed for the Assassin, if he were to die then Distract could be used by any of the party members who wanted to utilize its maneuvering abilities and Deceit would fall into the hands of the Bard.

Lore wise these two items were crafted by a group of skilled crafters and powerful magic users in his hometown, they have been used to protect the city after it was razed and destroyed by the BBEG. Currently, Deceit has been stolen from them.

Upgrading them requires roleplay from the Assassin (or anyone would use them), obtaining both of them, and ending two large threats to the city.

Loreweaver was for either of the party's Bards to use but I honestly expect the Maestro Bard to pick it up due to the upgrades to inspiration use.

Upgrading it requires roleplay, lots of it. I need this character to make a name for themselves, become a hero, and go through some type of character change.

The Rapier of Azathoth was not made for anyone, in particular. Currently, it is the only weapon in the party's possession and is currently in the hands of the Assassin. Lore wise as the name suggest it was made by a cult of Azathoth to spread anarchy.

Upgrading it requires you to slay 20 people with it to get to awakened and then 5 more people while under the mist.

Nightmist's Mantle was also not made for any class or character, in particular, it's more so a reward for completing a difficult side quest and actually attaining it.

Virtuous Calamity was designed for any martial class its best used for fighters due to their multiple extra attacks.

The Martialist was made for any future fighter characters or as the name suggest martial classes. Story wise It was a weapon designed for war, it was made to take out troops and large groups.
>>
>>53275128
Yes, when you get better players. First tell all your current players the problems you have with them, and give them 1 session, replace whoever doesn't redeem himself (or whoever mans up and quits).
>>
>>53275128
>1 player is an observer that hasn't leveled up for 3 sessions
What do you mean?
>>
>>53275211
I said level up, you are now level 6

Player hasn't, and keeps saying they are working on it

Well I'm about to level them up again to 8 in a session or two
>>
>>53271946
Putting aside just how fucking stupid this is, what possible enjoyment could anyone get out of playing a game like this?
>>
>>53275128
First time Dming too. Our group is
>an observer who leaves an hour before everyone else so we usually finish without him
>a depressed bipolar fuckwad who takes everything in game super seriously, can't handle it when enemies attack him
>your friendly neighborhood edgelord
>an old man with a shit ton of ideas but nothing that works in game
>an antisocial dude who seems to be always either fainting or dying on the table
>the token normie

please end me
>>
>>53275244
Do it before you start the session, maybe? Make everyone watch him do it. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
>>
So I'll be DMing for the first time this saturday and I'm really fucking nervous. How do I not fuck this up?
AIso, I'll be running the fist chapter of Storm King's Thunder. Any adventure related tips?
>>
>>53275128
Are you me?
>>
>>>53275209
How do I break out of a group of irl friends mid campaign?

They are all completely stoked about playing, They weren't in the beginning, but as we go through the world and they become more and more eager to play, we had two sessions last week because they were really into it.

It feels like I'm being a shithead, because ultimately we are all having a good time, but when I go to DM or world build and I spend time outside of the game, I get really spiteful
>>
>>53275297
I just DM'd for the first time last week. Ask your players questions a lot. This deflects from you and gives you time to think.
>>
File: 1475423723594.png (661KB, 800x806px) Image search: [Google]
1475423723594.png
661KB, 800x806px
>>53275297
Communicate with the players. Not in the sense that you give a good room description, but in a meta sense that you don't autistically let something eat the group and erode it into nothingness while you hope that sitting silent will solve the lack of attention/jeff's girlfriend ruining the game/people not showing up late/you showing up late/someone not taking their meds.

It's rarely the dice rolls, and the class choices that fuck up the game.
>>
>>53275337
do you want the mature/adult way or the /tg/ way?
>>
File: encumbrance.jpg (23KB, 180x300px) Image search: [Google]
encumbrance.jpg
23KB, 180x300px
I'm enforcing encumbrance in my next campaign and you can't stop me TG.
>>
>>53275363
For what purpose?
>>
>>53275363
People don't enforce encumbrance?
>>
>>53275388
>>53275378

Hilarious
>>
>>53275205
>>53274500
Hit the limit.

Reminder this is for a high magic campaign.

>Nightmist's Mantle
I'm still working on what needs to be done to upgrade it and some more concrete history and backstory on it.

>Virtuous Calamity
Requires you to slay some Huge sized, high CR creature and stop some large threat to the world.

>The Martialist
I'm still working on what should be done to upgrade this one.

>>53275363
Good luck anon bookkeeping gets tedious when you do this. I would forget it in my games, but one of my players reminds me all the time about it so...
>>
File: IMG_1401.jpg (72KB, 560x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1401.jpg
72KB, 560x272px
Best spellcasting class after level 8?

I wanna be rollin wit da wizards n shit yo
>>
>>53275363
Just let players know up front! Personally I'd replace the encumbrance system with Lamentations of the Flame Princess', or go with stone-based encumbrance myself.
>>
>>53275436
Wizard. If it's a wargame then maybe Sorcerer so you can twincast haste on two optimized martials.
>>
>>53275413
I enforce it for traveling. I just assume everyone drops their pack when they start a fight. Though I will make sure people aren't doing things like pulling ladders out of their pockets.
>>
>>53275436
>>53275453
Forgot to mention Moon Druid with Warcaster/Resilient Con concentrating on summon spells.
>>
Hey guys I didn't cry like a little bitch. Thanks for the inspiration.
>>
>>53275453
Does it matter what school?

>>53275472
Oo mama that sounds sweet as hell
>>
>>53275485
It doesn't really matter what school, but you can focus on different things depending. You can just spam zombies as necromancer, probably leaving at level 6 to do the Warlock short rest spellslot abuse, or you could be Evocation and be 2 levels away from the +Int to each missile abuse.
>>
>That look of relief on our foreverDM's face when I ask if I can try DMing next session
How do I not screw this up /tg/ I'm just going to run sunless citadel
>>
>>53275205
what the fuck is a maestro bard.

can you see why i keep telling these don't work for anyone outside of your world's campaign?
>>
>>53275363
I basically let my players carry what seems reasonable.
If they could reasonably have it on their person or shoved in a backpack it's fine. Otherwise, I tell them they need a mule or wagon or some shit.

This is so that they can reasonably lift someone who weighs about as much as they do and not be encumbered.
Also whenever I'm a player I can't help but think about all the stuff I have on me. If it's a ridiculous amount I scale it down just so that in my mind my character doesn't look like your picture. I want to be a cool motherfucker, not some asshole with a giant backpack.
>>
>>53274413
Insulating Touch doesn't list a duration.
>>
>>53275572
That's why you invest in a bag of holding
>>
>>53275537
Know that a forevergm will have a problem not correcting you when you get a rule wrong here and there, and have patience. It's a rare blessing when we get to be on the other side of the table.

Story wise, if you dont already have a story in mind, ask what your players backstorys are, and work on something they give you there. Good luck and have fun!
And relax and remember, its all just a game.
>>
>>53275597
Thank you. It was supposed to be 1 hour. I also found a non retarded wording for the way nullification zone targets by copying a spell much closer to it.
>>
>>53275378

I'm running a wilderness , survival based hexcrawl so it will be relevant for multiple reasons including , how much loot they can carry, if they need to bring wagons with them , how far they can travel with a lot of equipment and as an incentive to 'tame' the wilderness and eventually build roads and so forth to make travel easier. Further to this the overall verisimilitude of the world.

I'll also be enforcing strict hunger and thirst and other survival mechanics.
>>
>>53275563
>Maestro Bard
Here ya go anon. Some people do use this homebrew class in their game.

>can you see why I keep telling you these don't work for anyone outside of your world's campaign?

Yeah, if you ask for lore as to how I'm using it in my game, of course, it's going to sound like they work only in my game.

These items can be reflavored and not all of them are made specifically for a certain character. That's why some are so vague.
>>
>>53275654
Well then of course you would use it. Why would anyone stop you?
>>
File: 1494970223586.png (67KB, 436x361px) Image search: [Google]
1494970223586.png
67KB, 436x361px
So a goblin uses it's bonus action to hide in a bush, and it rolls higher than the players' passive perception
do they have to make a search action to even know where the goblin is, or do they just have disadvantage on attacking it
>>
>>53275738
Depends, if they where in combat with it the previous turn, id say disadvantage, since they know its in there somewhere, if they saw it some ways away, search to find it seems fitting.
>>
>>53275420
>>53275205
i honestly suggest you to read the artifact section on the DMG and consider all the things said there.

if your world is SO high powered than this random city (is it the largest, most powerful, does it have the blessing of a god?) has access to the magic, technology, blessing, resources and whatnot to craft such powerful items, what else are they doing, how else is EVERYTHING interconnected to sustain such high magical presence?

if your players can't even make use of the weapons you are making, do they serve a big enough part of the plot?

is there anyone else trying to seize them, were they wielded by legendary heroes of myth?
if so, how did they get them, were they crafted for them to suit there very special needs, what were those needs, is history repeating itself?

In the end these things are NOT just magic items, do be noted on a book, these are plot devices. I cannot introduce the Mask of the Dragon Queen on a random FR game just because my dragonborn draconic sorcerer could make fun use of it. It's MAYOR plot point and device that is probably not even intended to ever fall in the hands of players and was MADE for RoT only to be worn by the faggy BBEG.
>>
>>53275599
Yeah, that's completely fine too.
>>
>>53275297

Set clear expectations. The shit you'll have to deal with later is the shit you don't nip in the bud right now.

Make it clear that you're a referee, not an adversary. You'll hear arguments if a player thinks you got a rule wrong, but that doesn't mean they're allowed to be belligerent or disrespectful. If one player is being a problem, take them aside and talk to then. DO NOT argue at the table.

Remind the players that you retain the right to alter rules and make snap judgements without taking shit for it. However, make sure any rules changes are sensible and agreed upon.

Don't worry too much if you feel like your players aren't paying attention. Some players are only interested in their turn, and you just have to accept that. My players love to play, and come every week, but fuck if they don't *appear* bored out of their skulls sometimes. They use their phones a lot too, which I wish I had banned at session 1. If you don't want cell phones at the table, say it NOW.

Also, remind everybody that the spirit of the game is cooperative. Yes, they *can* kill each other. Yes, they *can* split up and do their own thing. But doing so ruins the game, and negates the point of playing.

Good luck Anon, let us know how it goes.
>>
>>53275706
>Mercer
why am i even wasting my time with you, just go and railroad the fuck out of your power fantasy. critical role is a show, you can't expect that shit to work on real people tables. they are actors and he plays so loosely the rules he might as well not be playing any system at all (didn't they just adapted their campaign from 4e to 5e to keep up with the hype or release?)

you don't want them to be 'good', you don't want them to work for anyone else, you just want cool shit to show online because your campaign is so epic and so cool.

so no, you don't need them to be balanced, but you'll have to work harder, every time you try to throw shit at your party because obviously nothing on the book will work as written.

i hope you and your group are having fun, i won't autistically bitch at you any longer.
>>
>>53275791
Noted! Thank you, anon I'll work on making them a lot more important and connected.

>>53275888
We are having fun anon! I have actually been accused by my player of not railroading them enough at times, but thanks for your feedback.
>>
>>53275888
It was 3.5
>>
>>53275888
>>53276019
Actually, it was Pathfinder.
>>
>>53276019
>>53276037
even worse then.
>>
>>53275736

Most players hate encumbrance and TAG tends to favour narrativist games over gamist ones.
>>
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>53276191
I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>53276216
New thread is up!
>>
>>53275888
Eh... not that loose. He did just kill his fiance's character. Fun times.
>>
Should I let my players use strength for intimidation? personally I feel like it's kinda OP especially when one of my players is a rogue with +4 strength mod and gets double proficiency bonus for intimidate already. I really dont want them to have a +8 bonus at level 4 going around intimidating everyone they see for cheaper prices, mode easy mode against bad guys.

I dont want to make ability checks really hard just because of this guy. Is there any way I can work that into the game or should I just tell him he cant use strength. To be fair I did say it was okay earlier and he designed his character around that. I just didn't realise he would be getting +8 at lvl4.

What do?
>>
>>53276342
>rogue with +4 strength mod
For what purpose.
>>
>>53276342

It's a variant rule for skills and can be changed in the middle of the game. I keep those on a case-by-case basis as sometimes an intimidation check might be more charisma than strength.
>>
>>53276366
Using Finesse for daggers
>>
>>53276342
Reputation gets around, if you are intimidating for cheaper prices, suddenly all the shops are closed when you approach. Shutters down and muttered whispering inside. The local guard start to tail you for causing civil disorder etc.
>>
>>53276582
Which makes his AC dogshit since he can only use light armor. I don't get it.
>>
>>53276582
That makes even less sense. Is it a meme build or does he not realise you can use Dexterity for Attack and Damage modifier on finesse weapons?

Also with your original issue, it's reasonable if there's a reason he is using Strength for it. +8 modifier at level 4 isn't that big of a deal, he's a skill monkey class and should be better then everyone else at certain skills.
>>
12 or 14 CON on my Barbarogue? I'm going for a Strength based build if that changes anything.
>>
>>53276783
>I'm going for a Strength based build if that changes anything.

Well, you don't get sneak attack, if that counts as "changing anything"
>>
>>53276930
You can still Sneak Attack using strength you know, as long as the weapon has the Finesse trait. I'm planning on using Barbarian's Reckless Attack to get Advantage so I can always Sneak Attack in fact.

That plus damage resistance, advantage on DEX saves, Rage damage and proficiency in better weapons and armour at first, going up to 5 for Extra Attack latter.
>>
File: 1484472858759.jpg (555KB, 1001x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1484472858759.jpg
555KB, 1001x1500px
>>53276191
You got to eat somehow.
>>
>>53276990
>proficiency in better weapons and armour
Can't rage on armor
>>
>>53277168
Holy shit, either you're a troll, a retard or haven't read the fucking book.

>While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

Can still wear medium and light mate. How do you think the entire Battlerager subclass functions?
>>
>>53275444
>stone-based encumbrance
Explain.
>>
>>53268789
If you play with a mat, It's as easy as just looking to where to mini is. It's almost like the game was meant to be played with mats and minis or something...
>>
>>53276342
He could just as easily be a swashbuckler with +4 CHA and have even more shit going for him. Anything that makes STR more worthwhile is a good thing
>>
>>53275128
>>53275273

First time DMing. I don't have those problems desu

All the players seem to be involved equally.

>Player 1
Could study the rules more, she's playing a rogue and mostly just forgets about Cunning Action. But she's not much of a gamer, i think she has a 3ds with Pokemon on it, but that's as far as it goes. She does not like it when I tell her she has to roll for things she thinks should just be a instant success lol.

>Player 2
He's great, this is his first time playing D&D but he's a huge nerd, he basically made Dwarf Indiana Jones. He's just so excited to play all the time that he kinda freaks out when rolling his dice, he threw it straight up in the air one time lol.

>Player 3
He made a character who "hates people" and is the typical anti-social loner Ranger. But the player is a really devout catholic, so he feels the need to help everyone and be a good person in-game.
Catholic-PC
>I shouldnt be talking to these people...my character is a loner
DM
>They look really down on their luck, one of them is coughing, a few are moderately injured, they look like they've just been robbed!
Catholic-PC
>Ahhhh, fuck...i'll help them...(commence roleplaying)

Players 4 and 5 are pretty standard
Though Player 5 said
>I don't like managing Rations while traveling on the road, it makes sense in a survival situation, but i figure I could just forage and survive
His character is not an Ranger or an Outlander, so i'm gonna throw some Oregon Trail shit at him because by letting him just slide by I am invalidating the abilities of other classes/backgrounds. And considering Player 3 is a Ranger and Player 1 has the Outlander background, it shouldnt be a problem, but he needs to learn.
>>
>>53277413
>I don't like managing Rations while traveling on the road
Nobody likes this and I haven't even been in a game that tracked it in ten years
>>
>>53277413
>She does not like it when I tell her she has to roll for things she thinks should just be a instant success lol.
What kinda rolls? Some you should just give instant success on them once characters are reasonably competent. If the level 5+ Rogue wants to pick a DC 10 lock for instance and there's no time limit I'd allow it because chances are they have a +10 modifier anyway with Expertise and 18 DEX.

>His character is not an Ranger or an Outlander, so i'm gonna throw some Oregon Trail shit at him because by letting him just slide by I am invalidating the abilities of other classes/backgrounds.
I agree but do you at least let him make a Survival check if he wants to forage? It makes sense for him to at least try but have a chance to fail compared to the well skilled people
>>
>>53277495
Rations matter during first two levels and at higher levels when you enter legendary-cursed-realm-where-food-and-water-creating-magick-is-not-functional™. In all other cases - yep, it's a fucking hassle to track.
>>
>>53277498
>What kinda rolls?
She had grappled a "mini-boss" and wanted to OHKO him from max HP by slitting his throat.
I gave her advantage on the roll.
The "mini-boss" in question was a Yuan-ti covered in wraps, so she didn't know it was a Yuan-ti, not that the players know what that is, But i described it as the following

>Your blade cuts through his wraps and you can see, as your blade slides across his neck obisdian scales that crack and bend under the weight of your blade

The players thought it was cool, and were satisfied with the response.

>>53277539
Tracking rations matter when you've got a Ranger and an Outlander in your party because otherwise you are taking their cool class/background specific features and rendering them Null.
Most players pick their character options because they sound cool and useful. If you don't get to use your cool features then the player will regret picking that option.
>>
>>53277592
>Tracking rations matter when you've got a Ranger and an Outlander in your party because otherwise you are taking their cool class/background specific features and rendering them Null.
This is why ranger is repeatedly rated as worst class; this function is unwanted and unnecessary. Ranger is not relevant to typical D&D playstyles
>>
>>53277592
>Tracking rations matter when you've got a Ranger and an Outlander in your party because otherwise you are taking their cool class/background specific features and rendering them Null.
Well, it won't matter either because the party will spend extra funds (available on higher levels) on backup rations or because the party rangers are capable of finding rations in the wild while blindfolded, asleep and suffering diarrhea at once with their hands tied because they're so good at it.
>>
>>53277592
>She had grappled a "mini-boss" and wanted to OHKO him from max HP by slitting his throat.
Alright yeah, that's fair not to give her that. It's worth noting that gaining advantage while grappling requires a feat and that technically, she should've just made a normal attack roll.
>>
>>53277654
>Tracking rations when someone has goodberry
>>
>>53277654
>Ranger is not relevant to typical D&D playstyles
It is relevant to my style of play, because I run with random encounters and i've made an actual map of the local area with a hex grid to track movement and I have a Calendar i made for the world.

>>53277668
But they still have to beable to do that thing. Even if the ranger is, as you said;
>capable of finding rations in the wild while blindfolded, asleep and suffering diarrhea at once with their hands tied because they're so good at it.
If I remove that aspect of the game, I am denying the player the option to feel useful.

>>53277731
He didn't take Goodberry as a known spell.
>>
Does anyone have a map of Castle Ravenloft that makes any fucking sense?
>>
>>53277998
In the Mega, there's maps for the campaign, there's a folder with 2d maps of the castle as opposed tot he isometric maps that the book gives you.
>>
>>53269219
I had a fat old wizard character.

Story was he went adventuring as soon as he finished his studies, the stout lad good hearted lad from the farm down the road taking a hefty sword, the crafty young fella who was a good shot with a crossbow and knew how to pick locks, and the novice priest with a heart of gold and a aptitude for healing magic.

It went well, they tussled with goblins, safeguarded some caravans, but during their first adventure into a dungeon the cleric was killed by a deadly trap, fighter was horribly crippled in battle, the rogue seriously hurt too losing an eye, they barely made it out alive but swiftly reevaulated their life choices.

Years passed and the wizard married, had a lovely wife, kids, the whole shebang running a comfortable village general store with a small library. Even more years passed and his children left home to the city, his wife passed, peacefully of course at an old age after rich life.

But the old man felt the nagging feeling after hearing that the old farmer died, and after getting a tip from an old friend and one eyed bartender, he dug out an old moth eaten robe with stars on, a pointy wide brimmed hat and a very ancient book, taking one more shot at his career as a level 3 wizard.
>>
>>53277881
>He didn't take Goodberry as a known spell.
Ah, so he's medically retarded
>>
>>53278075
But they are entirely unlabeled, and thus I am rendered incapable of all but my most hopefull guesswork
>>
So how do I Assassin? I imagine Alert and Expertise in Stealth are the two main things.
>>
>>53270744
Not that guy, but curious, why hex over hunter's mark? Vengeance paladins get that and while they differ from nullification, it fits the same theme in a way?
>>
>>53278526
Nullification was supposed to mostly be anti-spells, things like counterspell, and nondetection were the ideal. Things like Hold Person that prevent you from doing anything in a non-violent fashion were also fine.

Then it turned more into a mage-fucker, and Hunter's Mark fits the theme of chasing someone and killing them, but the reason I picked Hex was because it felt like the best out of a lot of bad options to represent 'shutting someone down' by picking some ability to impair.

I've gone over the 1st level spells out there, and it's still a tough theme to fill.
>>
>>53275388
People don't use half the rules in the book
>>
>>53277413
Does player 5 at least have high wisdom and/or survival proficiency? If you have survival proficiency, you actually can just live off the land in your downtime.
>>
Should I take Shillelagh or Primal Savagery on my Mountain Druid?
>>
>>53279214
You don't get extra attack, so savagery is the only one that scales.
>>
>>53274413
I feel like a lot of the spells cut are alright, but I think you should add a few more. It seems to be a very defense class but having a few offensive options that are exceptionally "arcane" wouldn't go astray. Magic missiles, magic weapon, heck even a lightning bolt if you wanna go crazy. I feel like only picking up the defensive options from the arcane spell lists isn't doing arcane spells justice, as divine is more about defense and buffs while arcane is more about offense and tech, at least to me they are.
>>
>>53279376
I can look into making the arcane spells feel more "iconic", but if the spells are just eyecandy it's a bloat problem, and if it's too good (mostly in the vein of haste/invisibility/fly) it's a balance problem.
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.