[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 52

File: 1482485826248.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
1482485826248.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>53247108

New arcanas brought us a lot of archetypes, but some things are still missing. What do you want to see in the game?
Picrelated, a blighter would be pretty swell - or maybe some kind of abberation-themed druid, that doesn't scream goody two-shoes.
>>
>>53260062
Shadow Dancer Rogue. I know you can already do it with a Monk/Rogue but Monk comes with too many abilities that don't fit.

I just want bonus action shadow-port and Sneak Attack.
>>
Second for WotC should embrace their name and do away with martial classes.
>>
Hoping for new items next arcana. Preferably old items updated for 5e.

Yeah I can and have been taking and updating AD&D and 3.5e shit, but trawling through pdf after pdf takes time.
>>
>>53260044
>AoA

never played a lock so I dunno how AoA works

say I cast it at 4th level, took a hit that did 15 points of damage. That creature takes 20 cold damage, and then hits me again with another attack. Do they take 20 more points of damage or do they take 5?
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.04.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.04.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
Fixed several typos, and made nu-lay on hands only effect one spell at a time.

I'll try not to re-post until anything significant is changed.
>>
>>53260062
things i'd like, anything aberration related, monstrous PC options, more uses for Int and arcane magic in general that isn't just wizards, anything psionic that makes sense.
>>
>>53256335
>they were on a ledge overlooking it, on a volcano, all three of them decided to dive in.
What fucking possessed them to think that there could an illusion of a lava river, in the most likely place you'd find one?
>>
How does this backstop sound for a semi-normie game? This is the first time I will play a PC instead of forever DM.

>Lawful Neutral Hill Dwarf Cleric of War.
>Follower of Gorm Gulthyn, and trained in one of his temples since He was 50
>Now 75.
>Dwarf Counsel of Thornhold where the temple is located feel no danger is present, and a temple of vigilant dwarfs is not worth the money, space, or special treatment.
>Forced to leave and split up
>Now wonder the real world, not sure what to do or what purpose I serve
>The priest simply told us that one day a dire need will draw us back together to protect our people
>Very protective

I just wanted to avoid edgy cliche, and also make it easy for the DM to push us all together.
>>
>>53260208
They take 20 more.
>>
File: 1494472346876.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494472346876.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
What the fuck is a cantrip?
>>
>>53260343
Look at this idiot, everyone!
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.05.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.05.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53260223
Fuck it. I really mistyped something.
>>
Is Alert worth it on Assassins?
>>
>>53260343
A spell that also draws you a card.
>>
>>53260256
It mostly matters how you conduct yourself, and how much you add to the game. There's nothing wrong with having an edgy story as long as you're not using it as a tool to be a wet towel. I've played with a super edgy backstory, but also played comedic relief on the same character.
>>
>>53260415
How's that going for you?
>>
>>53260441
Dead campaign. He ended up being the party leader, but the comedic parts ended up from other people's chaotic dumbass characters getting him framed for crimes and having him wrapped up in all kinds of high jinks he'd have to cluelessly stumble out of.
>>
File: Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf (698KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf
698KB, 1x1px
Reposting with previous changes.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

Chained Sword Changes
>Made the Grip 2/3/4 times per Day
>Removed the short rest limit on the Calamity abilities because now the Grip is per day.(Should Calamity's End be limited per short rest? Or is this okay?)

Changes to the Lightning Glaive
>Lowered the damage to 1d4 Lightning damage
>Added the saving throw for Lightning Bolt
>(Should the haste spell be non-concentration as the gem is channeling it or is that too much? )

Dual weapons changes
>They are now Shortswords
>(I still don't know if these are too strong or not, they do work separately as their own weapon requiring their own attunement slots, but they work even better together. In their current state are they too much?)
>>
>>53260343
>Cantrip is a word of Scots origin to mean a magical spell of any kind,[1] or one which reads the same forwards and backwards.[2] It can also be a witch's trick, or a sham.[3] It is possibly derived from the Gaelic canntaireachd, a piper's mnemonic chant.[4]

it's an at-will spell aka doesn't cost you spell slots to use.
>>
>>53260415
I was hoping to be a reasonable, and extremely careful character. Maybe even to a fault. Always looking out for trouble, and not the most trusting. Maybe even paranoid, but not like insanity.
>>
>>53260512
This is what I was looking for, thanks Anon.
>>
Does a bow cleric work? Does a cleric lose out on any good spells it can use because it can't be up in the enemies face? I can only really think of Spirit Guardians
>>
>>53260544
That's literally from the Wikipedia article, you stupid fuck.
This is why I hand spoonfeeding.

>>53260512
Fuck you for perpetuating this dumb shit.
>>
File: 1491813131518.png (340KB, 726x542px) Image search: [Google]
1491813131518.png
340KB, 726x542px
>>53260561
>>
>>53260550
Its fine, I guess. Its just that there's not really a reason to shoot something you can burn with Sacred Flame or Guiding Bolt.
>>
>>53260550
Depends on the definition of works. By nature you'll start drowning when your cantrips hit level 5, but you still have no extra attack. Spellcasting is the most important part for a Cleric, as you can probably guess.

You're basically not given any reason to do so, but you can do it.
>>
>>53260600
>too stupid to look up the word "cantrip" on Wikipedia
>lol u have autism xD
>>
>>53260117
So don't use any of the other things and just the shadow port. For fuck sakes people this is how bloat happens make several class with the same thing because some just can't only use the parts they want.
>>
>>53260380
That boost to initiative definitely makes it worth it.
>>
>>53260703
Multiclassing was grandfathered for tradition's sake. Archetypes has been this entire edition's form of multiclassing.
>>
>>53260380
Yes, some would say a requirement if feats are on the table.
>>
File: 1493400615245.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493400615245.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
>>53260760
Neat that changes nothing about my statement.
>>
File: 1487888940795.jpg (256KB, 1600x853px) Image search: [Google]
1487888940795.jpg
256KB, 1600x853px
Do you suppose 5th edition will have it's own sci-fantasy setting to counter starfinder assuming it does somewhat well?
>>
>>53260783
Actually it brings to light how superfluous multiclassing is, and using it as a way to shut down archetypes is reactionary, and stupid as it's not a properly designed alternative.
>>
What optional rules from the DMG should have been standard instead of optional? My vote goes to proficiency dice.
>>
>>53260816
No I'm arguing against archetypes solely for the sake of getting specific things already in a class, because it creates fuck tons of bloat with half, if not more, of the new class being useless so you'd want to multiclass out anyway or just a copy paste from others.
>>
>>53260870
Yes archetypes create bloat, but it's balanced compared to multiclassing, so I don't see where your statement "half, if not more, of the new class being useless" comes from.

So far UA is free, and optional, so I can't see why making a rogue that can teleport is so much worse than non functional mutliclassing rules.
>>
>>53260368
Here's some criticism because I think this is neat! And well put-together! But you need to make clear which effects happen at each level. Players can - and should - check it. But you're making content and want it to be as good as possible, so should do it for them.

Sense Arcana - Cool effect! First, flip the magical effect and the monster orders. It makes more sense (based on the name and feel of the whole build) to list them the other way around. Furthermore, it makes more sense to put the short one first. I'd also remove the full cover issue.

Arcane Ward and Warding Hand are listed as titles, but refer incorrectly to each other. I like the effect overall! It's unique and balanced and feels cool. You definitely need to rewrite it though, it took a lot of parsing on my part to figure out what you were saying.

Nova is fine.

Censor is fine.

Aura of Protection - we're too close to Paladin's now. Make it something different.

Aura of Discovery is awesome!

Improved Arcane Nova - see Aura of Protection.

Insulating touch is nice.

Academies!

Discovery:
Thirst shouldn't include perception.

Rapid Ritual is great.

Illusions is good.

Decentralization is a little too niche. Maybe give it an additional effect.

Enlightenment is amazing. I love it.

Protection!
Ward - I think, and this probably comes down to taste, that this should be temporary hit points. This isn't a cleric class.

Arcanist's wall is amazing.

Rapid Shielding - consider including an 'errata' style note that DM's may rule not to have it work with other halving effects - evasion, etc.

Bulwark - now this is a cool effect.

Barrier - the wording here doesn't follow how temporary hitpoints in 5e. It's also insanely strong. If I go 20 Con at this level I have, on average, 214.5HP. This puts me with 419? Maybe a little much.

Nullification!
Zone is too powerful this early in the game. This fucks a lot of DMs up and is probably un-fun.

Scar, aura, mind, entity are all great.
>>
>>53260062
>New arcanas brought us a lot of archetypes, but some things are still missing. What do you want to see in the game?

Damage-focused arcane half-caster

EK and AT-like archetypes for druidic magic

Animal-themed nature-y monk

Aberration-based mutation-themed sorcerer
>>
>>53260794
>assuming it does somewhat well
That's a pretty huge assumption considering how crap it looks so far.
>>
>>53260966

Aside from it being made by paizo what do you dislike about it? I've been jumping back and forth between here and /pfg/ and I'll admit the one thing that has me interested is that it's a setting that actually does the sci-fantasy deal which is something I've always wanted . I mean, it follows the golarion setting which I don't particularly care for but it's slightly more then what wizards has given me thus far without making it myself.
>>
>>53260870
Actually so far I think that 5e has handled new Archetypes pretty well in the UA, Off the top of my head the only subclasses I'd call worthless are 4 Elements Monk, Core Beastmaster and Purple Dragon Knight. Everything else has been at least decent.

Also so far the only OP as fuck things are Treachery Paladin, Lore Master and certain Mystic builds that are easily fixed by removing Nomadic Mind.

Looking it over we have 14 classes and 110 archetypes between them. Even if we go pretty strict about what's decent maybe 10 of those are crap or have nothing better then other options you could take. Honestly this edition is already nearly at bloated level with UA and so far it's pretty well balanced.
>>
>>53260623
It's probably what you want to do as a Trickery domain. You can still use ranged attacks with a heavy armor domain too, if you want.
>>
>>53260623
The weapon attack gets better than cantrips once divine strike comes online for the archetypes that get it and that should stay true until level 17 for a single-classed cleric with decent strength, dexterity, or access to shillelagh for melee builds.
>>
>>53260930
>Balanced compared to multiclassing

Unless your playing with optimizing power gamers multiclassing isn't an issue.

>half, if not more, of the new class being useless" comes from.

As they try to come up with new ideas instead of just bolt parts from other classes together it creates lack luster content.

>rogue that can teleport is so much worse than non functional mutliclassing rules.

But the multiclassing is functional and it's only your opinion and experience that says otherwise.
>>
>>53260998
Understandable my issue still is creating a whole archetype just to get one ability ment to make another unique.
>>
>>53261060
Even without Sacred Flame's doing 2d8 damage on a save while Weapons are either doing 1d8+3 or 2d6+3 at level 5. Attack Rolls can get advantage and crit so honestly I'd say that weapon Clerics are better in consistent damage for most of the game but caster Clerics will have a higher wisdom for spells. So both are pretty good.

Of course Nature Cleric says fuck you to everyone with weapon attacks based off Wisdom, which makes up for the pretty shitty Spell list.

>>53261098
Shadow Dancers actually had quite a few unique abilities. From memory they could teleport in shadows, hide while in plain sight and I think they had some kind of shadow clone but I might be making that last one up.

Also Shadow Sorcerers already steal the Monk teleport except better.
>>
File: IMG_7284.jpg (85KB, 1000x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7284.jpg
85KB, 1000x488px
Responding to the previous thread
>>53257696
No argument there on their similarities/differences but what is Waterdeeps Citywatch response if they were to come across imprisoned lawful evil creatures such as Grung, Bullywugs, or otherwise.

Do Bullywugs have Miranda Rights?
>>
Has anyone run a 5e west marches game? What was it like/is it worth trying? If you don't know what that is,
http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/
>>
I want to make a Bugbear Rogue because it fits their fluff so well, issue is the obvious choice with their racial abilities is Assassin and all the disguise features don't work with the fact I'm 7 feet tall and hairy.

What should I fo?
>>
File: 1486489888422.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1486489888422.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
Am I stupid if I don't get why there's a a perception skill when you're supposed to use passive perception for traps, stealths and stuff
>>
Oath of Conquest, what is the verdict on it? I was thinking about making a Fallen Aasimar or a Goliath Conquest Paladin for a backup character.
>>
>>53261122
Shadow monks do that except the clone, also missed the shadow sorcerer, personally I hope it doesn't stick. They should get something to actually help them, instead of just copy another class.
>>
File: Overlord Rosa Velvet.jpg (290KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord Rosa Velvet.jpg
290KB, 1280x800px
>>53261255
Overlord/10
>>
>>53260936
Going to have to split this wall into two posts.

>Arcane Ward and Warding Hand are listed as titles, but refer incorrectly to each other. I like the effect overall! It's unique and balanced and feels cool. You definitely need to rewrite it though, it took a lot of parsing on my part to figure out what you were saying.

Thank you for giving your feedback. I consider all of it, even the stuff I defend since I see the issues there.
What do you mean by this part exactly? I copy pasted the wizard Arcane Ward for 90% of the wording, then changed a thing or two since it could now apply to someone other than yourself. I'm not opposed to changing it, but what parts are not referring correctly?

>Aura of Protection - we're too close to Paladin's now. Make it something different.
Not sure what to say. I basically left it as is despite that issue. When I was starting the main design goal was "It's the same, but anything divine has to go." so it ended up not changing along side Smite, and Improved Smite. I'll probably be making a variant that has larger changes that pull it further from Paladin even more.

>Discovery: Thirst shouldn't include perception.
It is odd, but I felt like it was an ability to guarantee you get to know, or see something you really want to be a part of no matter the roll you get. I'm considering removing it, and adding the archetype bound ritual support I wanted from the start.

>Decentralization is a little too niche. Maybe give it an additional effect.
Yeah. I basically didn't add more because it got wordy.
>>
>>53261254
Perception skill is actively attempting to notice things off about the environment, while passive is just when your wandering around.
>>
>>53261198
The assassin's disguise-related abilities are ribbons anyway. Even human assassins frequently go a whole campaign without ever using them.
>>
File: 1487144301706.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1487144301706.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>53261268
Ok how do I build the Overlord
>>
>>53261254
Yes, but ill explain it anyways. Active perception is for when you are actively looking for something. Like if you were chasing a bandit, and he hid in a room it would be an active perception check to look for him because you are ACTIVELY looking for where he is.
>>
What if cantrips didn't scale
>>
>>53260936
>Ward - I think, and this probably comes down to taste, that this should be temporary hit points. This isn't a cleric class.
I'd do that if I wanted to nerf them, which I might.

>Rapid Shielding - consider including an 'errata' style note that DM's may rule not to have it work with other halving effects - evasion, etc.
Initially it let you reduce the damage to 0 on a save, but it stepped on evasion's toes. I wouldn't personally add an additional clause.

>Barrier - the wording here doesn't follow how temporary hitpoints in 5e. It's also insanely strong. If I go 20 Con at this level I have, on average, 214.5HP. This puts me with 419? Maybe a little much.
What do you mean by this first part? It's worded as adding X+20 because you only take the highest temp HP offered. Other Paladin transformations give resistance to all damage. Doubling HP is a rarer ability than resistance, but you'd have to use Stoneskin to get weapon resistance. At the end of the day it's a level 20 ability, and the game is full of silly stuff like infinite transformation AKA healing Druids.

>Zone is too powerful this early in the game. This fucks a lot of DMs up and is probably un-fun.
I considered this. Was extremely close to giving it concentration. It's a double edged sword until you can manage it with your Aura, and then theoretically enemy casters can exclude their allies if they're somehow metagaming. I still think I'll add concentration.

Thank you for giving your feedback. I consider all of it, even the things I defend since I can see the issues there.
>>
>>53261285
Oath of Conquest paladin 20. There, you did it. Character creation in 5e is not rocket science.
>>
>>53261277
>>53261287
Butt then wouldn't players say "I actively search all the time"
>>
File: ive had enough.png (768KB, 586x795px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.png
768KB, 586x795px
>>53261289
Then warlocks would do this.
>>
>>53261254
For when the character is actively searching.
Passive perception has two uses:
1. Less importantly, if your group are metagamey assholes, it makes sure they don't know what their result is
2. More importantly, it allows perception to occur without knowledge of the characters
>>53261305
Active searching is a time-consuming ability that you can't do "in the background." If you walk around actively searching, you move really slow.

>>53261289
Casters would have to sacrifice their combat damage to maintain utility
Whether or not that's good is up for debate
>>
>>53261254
Passive perception is your result when you're not actively searching.

As an example, a DM would have you roll active perception when you say, "I look for traps". If they had someone sneak up on you, they would compare the sneakers stealth roll with your passive perception. That way a successful stealth attempt means the players are unaware of the sneaker, whereas asking everyone to roll perception tells everyone there's something to perceive (Or increases paranoia).
>>
>>53260998
>Nomadic Mind is OP
This being a meme is ironic, isn't it?
>>
>>53261289
Probably better outside of needing to fix Warlock. Cantrips aren't important, but emphasizing the resourceless DPR of martials is pretty much a good thing.
>>
>>53261268
Ok, any glaring drawbacks? Anything that it's lacking that the other Oaths have a clear advantage over? It seems fine to me, but you guys seem to find the mistakes I don't.
>>
>>53261361
No. It's good. Tying your fear into your attack is good economy. The downside? Other archetypes have their own things going for them, which basically isn't a downside.
>>
File: Nomadic Mind Focus.png (30KB, 388x138px) Image search: [Google]
Nomadic Mind Focus.png
30KB, 388x138px
>>53261345
I am all knowing...
>>
>>53261263
Rangers get Rogues bonus action hide, Bards get Rogues Expertise, Valor Bar's steal Eldritch Knights cast and attack, Bards in general steal other classes spells, Paladin steals Clerics channel divinity, Paladins and Rangers steal Fighting Styles and so many more cases of this.

I get what you're saying and I agree that if they make a Shadowdancer it should have it's own abilities but sometimes there's more then class or archetype that can perform the same basic task and that's alright. Even if they do give it the Shadow-port it should be different to the Monks version while still being the same basic thing.

>>53261345
Any proficiency as a bonus action's retarded. At that point you've completely out done every skillmonkey in the game.

Mystic's issue is that it had no identity. It can be good at everything without losing anything. It needs at least 1 weak point it can't cover like other classes.
>>
>>53261373
What are some good combinations with other PCs? I know battlemasters can create Frightemed condition easily, but not much else.
>>
>>53261404
Any spellcaster with Fear.

The new level 1 Cause Fear spell is 1 minute of Disadvantage if they fail a save. No way to get rid of it once it's on. So that's a good one.
>>
>>53260831
All the action options and background proficiencies.
>>
File: Duskblade port to 5e - v7.pdf (765KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Duskblade port to 5e - v7.pdf
765KB, 1x1px
Just posting it again because the discussion from last thread involved it.

This anon here >>53260368 has been working on a homebrew of an arcane half caster class, to help fill in the gap missing (Ranger = nature-based half caster, Paladin = divine-based half caster).

Another anon had done a port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 to 5th edition, which was a type of arcane half caster in 3.5, that focused more on DPS and less on tankiness, although they could eventually become a tank in their own right due to eventual training in heavy armor.

The person who did the port focused more on the DPS aspect and less on the tankiness, but probably gave the port a bit more oomph than is needed.

In any case, here's the port for your reading/perusal, to help aid in your work towards filling that gap in 5e class options right now.
>>
>>53261373
Ok, thanks for the assessment! Like I said I was thinking of going Fallen Aasimar for the mechanical benefits, but Goliath is way more fitting. I'm kind of torn.
>>
>>53261254
You might be familiar with this occurence:

>DM: Alright you all try to sneak past. Roll Stealth everyone.
>Aaron: 18.
>Brian: 23.
>Charles: 14.
>Derek:...6.
>DM: They hear Derek, and now know where all of you are.
>Aaron, Brian, Charles: Fuck you Derek.

One bad roll ruins the attempt for everyone. The inverse of this scenario is the DM having a someone sneak up on the party. If you have everyone roll perception (and sometimes everyone includes hirelings, animal companions and familiars) one high roll scuppers the sneak attempt. Instead normalising with passive perception makes it more likely for a sneak attempt to succeed.
>>
>>53261439
>Aaron
Where does this group live in, Utah?
>>
File: pota4.png (335KB, 289x750px) Image search: [Google]
pota4.png
335KB, 289x750px
This picture is on page 13 of Princes of the Apocalypse. Anyone know what it depicts? There's no caption.
>>
>>53261404
Vengeance Paladin gives fear on channel divinity, Archfey can choose fear for their level 1 AoE, Battlemaster can choose fear, that level 1 spell gives fear, and I know that Mystics have a truly imbalanced fear AoE, they also have a single target fear but the AoE is really imbalanced.
>>
>>53261456

I'd wager it's Feathergale Spire, given the barren environment and the face that it's a tower-like structure.
>>
>>53261439
I'm this close to adding passive stealth to my game. I'd rather just tell my expertise rogues "You're fine unless you smash a vase/leave a body/run into the BBEG Druid with one million perception.".
>>
File: Feathergale Spire.png (1MB, 774x742px) Image search: [Google]
Feathergale Spire.png
1MB, 774x742px
>>53261486
Nah, that's this one.
>>
>>53261529

Possibly two different artist's renditions?
>>
File: Curse of Strahd.jpg (415KB, 1536x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd.jpg
415KB, 1536x1055px
>>53261529
Strahd doesn't have a consistent portayal either. I mean, how do you go from this...
>>
File: Strahd.png (212KB, 305x429px) Image search: [Google]
Strahd.png
212KB, 305x429px
>>53261578
...to this?
>>
>>53261439
When I ask for group Stealth checks, I have a mental DC in mind and have it be more-so a group skill check, so that if one person does fail but the rest succeed then the whole group succeeds, as they are able to react in time and get the guy who flubbed the roll to stop, re-compose themselves and get back on track.
>>
>>53261562
I mean... possibly, but to be honest I don't buy it.

>>53261578
>>53261592
Looks pretty similar to me.
>>
>>53261456
>>53261562

Thinking about it, I guess it could be Scarlet Moon Hall.
>>
File: pota8.png (1007KB, 973x716px) Image search: [Google]
pota8.png
1007KB, 973x716px
>>53261608
Definitely not...
>>
File: Strahd.jpg (159KB, 459x600px) Image search: [Google]
Strahd.jpg
159KB, 459x600px
>>53261607
Are you sure about that?
>>
File: coins.jpg (64KB, 576x330px) Image search: [Google]
coins.jpg
64KB, 576x330px
How do I deal with GMs that don't want to deal with an economy?

I don't mean this in a "I'm trying to break this fantasy world's gold system", I mean it as "You make the same amount of money as an unskilled laborer each day, and all profits you earn NOT from a quest go entirely to living expenses".

I should mention that we're in a West Marches campaign, but nearly everyone is at the same point.
Right now the party is 3rd level, going on 4th, and we've barely scraped together 200 gold apiece from looting every weapon we can get our hands on, because we get nothing otherwise.

To put it into perspective, we spent two in-game days hunting down wild gnolls that were raiding farmland and stealing animals. We received a marvelous 2 GP each for our valiant efforts.
I understand that some campaign worlds have lower amounts of gold, that's fine. The problem is that they adamantly refuse to lower the cost of anything to compensate, to the point of hilarity. It took us 6 sessions before we could afford to buy ONE person A horse.
Meanwhile, they nickle-and-dime us every time we need help from an NPC. Borrowing a boat for the afternoon to murder the raiders across the way? Better cough up 8 silver for lost wages. You want directions for the nearest bar? Yeaaah, that's gonna cost you.

Basically, what the fuck do I do here? I'm not sure how to tell the DMs that their situation is unreasonable, and that a party of adventurers that can literally heal diseases three times a day, tell the future with remarkable accuracy, and outfight two men each are making the same dosh as Urist McChucklefuck in the Mines of Sorrow.
>>
>>53261578
>>53261592
Probably the difference between non-vampire Strahd in image 1 and vampire Strahd in image 2.
>>
>>53261629
>no reflection in the mirror
how do you fuck up like that rofl
>>
>>53261640
Anon, I...
>>
>>53261640
>no reflection in mirror
>how do you fuck up like that rofl
Nigga, is you serious?
>>
File: cc0.jpg (1KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
cc0.jpg
1KB, 100x100px
>>53261640
>>
>>53261640
>Thinking vampires have reflections

Anon...
>>
>>53261629
Is that one from the same book? Definitely an elvish look there, but still. Not that different. If that tower was Feathergale it'd be missing like three floors. And the whole... spire thing.

>>53261659
>>53261664
>Newfags...
>>
>>53261630
There's nothing you can do with pseudointellectuals on their economy. You either buckle down and put in an insane amount of effort like I did at one point to research medieval economics, and who was and wasn't a part of the cash economy, or you accept that D&D is just a game, and they the heroes find a pile of 500 gp in the gnoll's hoard.

I never ended up acting on that economic reality because I decided it was so far away from what D&D is that it couldn't be used.
>>
>>53261396
Nomadic mind is inappropriate, but it's not strong. It certainly doesn't "out done every skillmonkey in the game"
>>
File: 440px-Malfurion_art1.jpg (37KB, 440x275px) Image search: [Google]
440px-Malfurion_art1.jpg
37KB, 440x275px
>>53260062
Dread Necromancer, ideally oriented as a pet class for one big undead and not swarms of undead because shitting up every battle isn't fun. Would probably need some not-shit necromancy spells added though.

I also would like to see Geomancer come back as a Druid archetype. It was a 3.5 class that was actually about combining arcane and divine spellcasting, but I'm more interested in it as a melee-oriented druid that develops a weird assortment of animal features that leaves them looking like alt-Malfurion Stormrage.
>>
>>53261680
>the heroes find a pile of 500 gp in the gnoll's hoard
Sounds lazy.

A cautious and skilled gang can follow in the tracks of a . gnoll war band, keeping hidden and waiting for the creatures to move on after ravaging a village or a town. The gnolls leave the town's gold and gems and other durable goods battered and gnawed, but still intact, though they invariably ruin delicate or flammable objects in their fits of destruction.
Gnolls do possess a basic understanding of the value of weapons and armor, so one might decide to hold onto an object seen as useful. In this way, a gnoll might come to possess a magic item, though it might not know exactly how to use it. Gnolls regard objects of "treasure" only in terms of their ability to cause harm or preserve a gnoll's life. Everything else is fit only for destruction.
>>
>>53261302
Is Oath of Conquest good, or is it a Timmy Option?
>>
>>53261630
Out of sheer curiosity, have you actually sat down and tried to heal diseases three times a day, tell the future with remarkable accuracy, and outfight two men each? My initial reaction to this story is he's either intentionally trying to make you manipulate the local economy with your super-powers, or he's doing it accidentally as a result of trying to push you away from murderhobo grunt work and into a more political/non-combat adventure.
>>
>>53261666
Is it really low quality if he's getting (You)'s, Satan?
>>
>>53261667
wtf Im playing CoS with my group right now thanks for the spilers
>>
>>53261743
Do you listen to Justin Bieber?
>>
>>53261741
Me again. I say that because I simply do not want to believe that someone can miss the point of FUN that much while trying to be a DM.
>>
How does one fix Beast Conclave Rangers (UA or otherwise)?
>>
>>53261786
You don't. UA is fine.
>>
>>53261786
The UA fix is enough in my opinion. It makes things a bit more complex, but what should have been in the game to begin with.
>>
Can two eldritch knight bond with the same weapon? I want to roleplay it as a weapon and vow of marriage.
>>
>>53261917
I don't see why not.

Divorce is going to be a bitch though.
>>
>>53261741
>>53261772

Actually, yes.
In no uncertain terms, I've asked about what my character is doing during downtime—surely the diviner wizard isn't doing hard physical labor in the logging camp—and if I could use Portent, Detect Thoughts, Guiding Hand, all the cool, thematic divination spells I took, suboptimal or not. I think it'd be fun to use my mechanical abilities to have in-character experiences with other players outside of missions, or even to make some extra cash on the side. Villagers would pay top dollar for someone who can twice a day tell fate to stuff itself, or to arbitrate an argument, or to Mage Hand the bird's nest off the chimney so Granny Crag doesn't have to break out the damn ladder again.

I was told that all money I make goes directly to living expenses. There is no net monetary gain outside of doing quests. Any money that I make as a result of my particular talents (and the Paladin/Cleric who can heal diseases three times a day, or the barbarian outrider who's always down for a tussle, or the mystic monk that sits alone and does nothing of value) goes directly toward paying for my living expenses. No, I cannot choose to live frugally and save up.
It's just immensely frustrating, and the endless DM dicksucking that accompanies a large roleplaying community pisses me the hell off. I appreciate that they devote their time to doing this, but I'm close personal friends with one who admits that they make half of it up the right before (in true DM tradition).

Sorry, I'm half-ranting at this point.
>>
>>53261786
The UA is good. Wolf + favored enemy humanoid showing up frequently is extremely good DPR since it's easy pack tactics advantage with a bunch of damage slapped on top from favored enemy. You can even get them randomly pushed over from the wolf's DC 11 prone check.
>>
>>53260831
Spell Points, but for Sorcerers.
>>
>>53261954
Well, he's clearly in the wrong. There are clear rules in the player's handbook about how much you spend on living expenses, and how much normal food costs. If you want to just buy a few copper's worth of apples and pitch a tent innawoods, who the fuck is he to say you can't? He can throw wolves and bandits at you at all hours of the day and night--at which point you just take rope trick. If he's going to demand actual price from you for every random service you require, even things that would obviously be comp'd (it will cost a fisherman less to lend you a boat so you can go about destroying a band of miscreants across the river that would otherwise put the fishermen permanently out of business), then you should demand actual price from him.
>>
>>53261954
I would assume he's trying to keep you from building up money at all. Probably to keep magic items to a minimum. Most games usually end up with the characters getting so god damn rich that the instant they get downtime from the plot they can pretty much pump money into finding whatever they want. He's taken it too far in the opposite direction, though.
>>
>>53262155
I don't want to throw a hissy fit about it, but it's gotten past the point of reason. I'll probably track down one of the DMs tomorrow and confront them about it.
I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but I'm just tired of being down on resources constantly.
>>
So, have babies here stopped throwing hissy fits about discord? Because it's about time it got back into the OP.
>>
>>53262244
I'll say this much: read the descriptions in the player's handbook for lifestyle expenses. Meals for anyone below the level of a ranked noble doesn't cost more than 8 silver. The lifestyle of a wealthy merchant wouldn't be more than 4g a day--according to the book that even includes having a handful of servants.

Meanwhile, even a common first level spell (cure wounds mentioned by name) can sell for anywhere from 10g-50g.
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
where is the wizards link to using downtime to find a magic item? It wasn't the UA article it was some official adventure league shit.
>>
>>53262368
No, fuck off.
Every time we put it there, a shitstorm ensues.
If it's not there, someone posts it later.
It's bad, but everything else looks worse, so I prefer the threads to be as they are.
>>
>>53262372
Yeah, that's definitely coming up. I fail to imagine a scenario where Detect Thoughts isn't in riotously high demand, poor-ish village or no. Thanks for your advice, man.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>53262368
>Throwing a hissy fit about discord
>Discord causes nothing but drama and namefaggotry

How about no, only once in a blue moon does someone open their cock holster about wanting the discord back. Also pic related
>>
>>53262548
The only "drama" here is caused by people like you. Transphobia is out of fashion this year.
>>
File: Eberron Cosmology.jpg (881KB, 1313x885px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron Cosmology.jpg
881KB, 1313x885px
>Mearls' second-favorite setting and the setting his longest-running game took place in is Eberron
EGGPLANT
>>
@53262580
>The only drama
>Hasn't seen the shitposting spawned because of beef in discord

It's ok eventually you'll realize why alot of generals go to shit worst than they normally are.

Also try to be more subtle about being bait.
>>
reminder that magic missile forces a concentration check for every missile

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/03/magic-missile-one-source/ - sage advice from 2014

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/22/do-you-roll-concentration-for-every-instance-of-damage-taken/ - sage advice from 2016

fuck up your caster's concentration with magic missile today
>>
>>53262660
Hardly a surprise.
>>
Does anyone have tips for ranged martials staying out of the 5ft disadvantage territory. I find that every time I try to take a ranged attack a grunt enemy will use his dash action to get in my 5ft and give me disadvantage.
I'm just looking for tips/strategies on how to effectively maintain distance as a ranged character.
>Unfortunately I'm also the tank of the group right now, with the highest AC and HP yet I'm always trying to stay away from the action to utilize range.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I just got dumped via text after being in a relationship for about a year.
I have a plan to meet with her and give her my final words face to face tomorrow because I have some dignity and had respect for our relationship.

My first words are that I accept her decision and my last are gonna be a goodbye. I'm not about to try to salvage a relationship with a woman who thinks a breakup text is appropriate.

What social skill do I roll for in this scenario? I hope I roll well. Performance? So long as I don't choke up like a bitch I'll consider it a success, I guess.

Someone call me a faggot and tell me what your favorite meme builds are right now. I need some autism to cheer me up.
>>
>>53262881
If the enemy can reach you with a dash action you're not far enough back
>>
About to run OOtA, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to track time. It's not like there is a sun to track as they travel. Do I just arbitrarily tell them when they are tired as their circadian cycle attempts to regulate? Do I have the underdark native NPC's have a good grasp on time? Or should I have the NPC's think that its crazy to have sleep schedules determined by whatever a "Sun" is and just sleep when they are tired? Part of me wants the failure to grasp time to be part of the madness of being trapped underground for an extended period of time.
>>
>>53262894
dw man, I'll be giving you d10 bardic inspiration with a little tune off to the side.
>>
>>53262894
Probably just raw CHA, no Proficiency, no one is trained to do what you're about to do.
>>
>>53262894
3 Thief/X Shadow Monk weeaboo ninja
1 Hexblade/X Paladin dump str, take 14 dex and max con and cha
Aaracokra with Burly Feat to fly people around like a taxi
1 Paladin/Fiend Bladelock heavy armor tiefling hellknight with all the Fiend-specific invocations and the Flames of Whatever tiefling racial
Mystic with Mastery of Force and Air to roleplay as Accelerator from Index/Railgun
>>
I have a few combats set up, but what are some good non combat encounters for a party in the forest? My group is going to more or less travel south to north through the high forest
>>
>>53262881
>>53262897
Not a lot of good options if you're in a dungeon crawl with small corridors and tiny chambers.
If you can't stay far enough back because of spatial limitations try to get your group to form a front-line for you so you can take your shots.
>>
>>53262894
I can see why she dumped your ass. Via text. Fully justified.
>>
>>53262580
At least the garbage that was making it unbearable have started posting less, like Lyn and awoo. You actually occasionally see discussions in there now. Homu is still a faggot.
>>
>>53262881
They've wasted their turn to potentially get an opportunity on the tank. Take a full movement back and kill them. Do they keep following? You're now the tank.
>>
>>53262881
>>53262990
Alt just pick Crossbow Expert and shoot them in the face.
>>
>>53262963
I've always like the idea of shadow monk/trickery cleric for my weeaboo ninja build. Even if it's useless shit, the clone screams it.
>>
>>53262912
>>53262948
Thanks famalams.
>>53262963
What would I call this burlyman birdman?
>>53262977
You didn't call me a faggot, but close enough. Thanks, anon <3
>>
>>53260062
I'm having an issue with my campaign (I'm the DM)

Me and a group of friends started playing, and I'd only played pathfinder without having too much of an idea of what's going on. They've never played before.

They made a few critical errors in their characters that made them all horribly broken (lmao 3.5e destruction on a lvl 1 cleric to one-shot the first boss) and I allowed it because I didn't understand the system very well (if at all). I've corrected it now, but it's too late.

The approach I've taken is basically to have stupidly broken npcs fighting (that are literally unlikable) and have them help, try to survive, and deal with thralls and the like. For example, a quest from an evil changeling to summon a tarrasque, then to survive and kill the fucking asshole changeling. It's getting more balanced, but I'm struggling to design a BBEG - are there any resources to help with that? He currently exists, it's just actually giving him attributes, spells and the like is incredibly difficult. Bear in mind everyone is horribly broken.
>>
>>53262580
>Transphobia is out of fashion this year.
Yeah man. It's the current year. Fucking big huts.
>>
>tfw my language doesn't allow me to pick two random words to make quick surnames and town names
Fucking kill me. Whenever I translate something it sounds either dumb or not catchy at all. I'm Brazilian
>>
File: 1480652693403.png (233KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
1480652693403.png
233KB, 540x721px
>>53263034
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>53263059
>Hueford Castle
>Hueville
>John Hueman

what are you talking about it's super easy
>>
>>53263034
?????????
>>
File: 666.jpg (41KB, 392x376px) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
41KB, 392x376px
>>53263034
Start over.
You have fucked up beyond repair.
>>
File: 1482852297300.png (652KB, 676x676px) Image search: [Google]
1482852297300.png
652KB, 676x676px
>>53263034
Nigga what?
>>
>>53263074
made me laff
>>
>>53262894
Str Mystic with hulk jump, and wind mastery. Grapple with advantage using your focus. Then when you grapple them you bonus action change to wind mastery, then hulk jump straight up, dropping them for max fall damage, and taking none because of the focus.
Book Ranger Halfling with a medium flying pet and sharpshooter to rain hell from above.
Dwarf Nature Cleric with STR as a mega dump stat. Wear heavy armor with no penalty, and use a quarterstaff + shield with Shillelagh as your cantrip for that maximized level 1-4 experience.
>>
>>53263034
If everyone is broken just make shit up for the BBEG why worry about their mechanics at all? Just do what sounds cool and once they put enough damage into it (make sure you look like you're updating stuff), decide when it's dead at a good moment.

Then when you start a new campaign make sure you read the fucking book.
>>
>>53263074
>John Human
>>Leader of the last renegade fighting force in the land
>>All other military organizations have been disbanded in total surrender
>>Horrible creatures from the depths pour out of the crannies
>>Only one man has the courage to stand against the onslaught
>>John Human

"It's a good day to do what has to be done by me and defeat my enemies."
>>
>>53263059
Use english and spanish/french.
As long as it sounds kinda familiar it'll be enough.
>>
File: 1456958920439.jpg (115KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456958920439.jpg
115KB, 413x395px
>>53263074
>>
File: huehuehue.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>53263059
Your language is still beautiful. :^)

>Whenever I translate something it sounds either dumb or not catchy at all.

Give us some examples. Translate some names and let us "hear" them for ourselves.
>>
>>53263095
Also Bugbear Treachery Paladin. PAM Quarterstaff + Shield. Nova with surprise attack + Poison + Smite from invisibility. Use stealthy medium armor. Attack from 10ft, hit them with 3 attacks at level 3, all smites. If they run at you they take an opportunity attack from PAM since the bugbear reach is only on your turn. Can easily kill OTK the BBEG until they slap on an extra 100 HP just because of you.
>>
>>53263107
I don't know, man. Give some names and I'll translate them for you.
But Thorin Oakenshield, I guess
>Thorin Escudo de Carvalho
>literally Thorin Shield Made of Oak
>>
>>53263135
Only a shit tier DM would allow bugbear or treachery paladin.
>>
>>53263097
Oh I read the book. I just got bullied by a cleric that thought that the amount of wisdom he had over 10 said what level spells he could have, and then showed me the 3.5e death domain.
He's literally the only problem. The rest of the party with their lvl 7 stuff is perfectly fine.
>>
>>53262897
>>53262970
>>53263006
>>53262990
These encounters aren't usually in dungeons.
I can't afford the crossbow expert feat.
The mapsize usually causes the enemies to be able to reach anyone with 60ft of movement.
I have no idea what to do, I was thinking of making a caltrop cannon that fires a row of caltrops in front of me so I can retreat semi-safely but that's the only distance device I could think of.
>>
>>53263152
So kick him out.
>>
>>53263144
Counter Ham
>>
>>53263144
I love the Hobbit.

Here's what you do. Take the two most interesting parts of the surname and slap em together in a way that sounds the best to you.

Thorin Oakshield is fine.
>>
>>53263144

Does Portugese just literally not have the concept of portmanteaus? Couldn't you call him Thorin Escucarvalho?
>>
File: zorro1990.jpg (43KB, 1392x1336px) Image search: [Google]
zorro1990.jpg
43KB, 1392x1336px
I'm rolling up a bunch of characters just for the sake of having some ready-to-go templates in case I get invited to a game, then I can start right up and have something to present to the DM for approval.

Right now I'm trying to roll up a Rogue Swashbuckler. I want somebody who is very good at whatever skill proficiencies they have, but also not a bad guy to have on the front lines of battle. Does a Rogue Swashbuckler work without multiclassing? Or should I go into Bard at some point, like a friend recommended to me?
>>
>>53263170
I was about to write the same thing.
>>
>>53263152
Then tell him to read the book and if he wants to cheat tell him to fuck off.
>>
File: 1492831556392.png (67KB, 217x193px) Image search: [Google]
1492831556392.png
67KB, 217x193px
>>53263034
Am I too late to the party? Even if I don't understand, I'd recommend you, and everyone at the table RTFM, and all should be well.
>>
>>53263182
Swashbuckler is good at both of those things.
>>
>>53263144
Luke Skywalker
>>
>>53263182
Works fine as a duelist because you get sneak attack basically all the time. So your single target damage will constantly be high.

Only MC bard if you want magic. It's not really necessary though.
>>
It was me Rick. I wrote it.
>>
>>53263181
You could, but it's kind of weird, mostly because it doesn't sound good.

>>53263166
Contra Presunto

>>53263198
Luke Caminhador do Céu
>>
>>53263156
Ask gm for bigger maps because you're playing someone who fights at long distances and are directly being gimped by having a tiny map
>>
>>53263181
In spanish we would either not touch it at all or use the literal longer translation.
>Thorin Escudo de Roble
Or if we did as you said:
>Thorin Escudoroble

But considering that the last time we fucked with Tolkien's words JRRT himself sent a very angry letter at the editorial I can't blame whoever is at charge for keeping it simple.
>>
>>53263152
So wait you let a 3aboo bend you over and decide what to allow in your game? First off take your balls out of your purse and put them back on.

Fucking seriously who cares what it says in anything other than 5e unless you are specifically comfortable and prefer that over the current edition.
>>
>>53263156
So they're not indoors?
What's stopping you from moving past the mapsize?
Does your DM have invisible walls?
>>
>>53263095
Magic Initiate to nab Jump and triple your mega jumps for one minute, no concentration.
>>
>>53263144
Spider-Man
Super-Man
DeadPool
Solid Snake
>>
>>53263182
I would highly recommend multiclassing into Battle Master for the stylish duelist feel.

Swords Bard is pretty good too. IMO it's either

>Swashbuckler/Battle Master
>Swords Bard/Battle Master
>Swords Bard/Swashbuckler
I don't know about all 3 but these are my go to options.
>>
>>53263275
>delaying Reliable Talent/Uncanny Dodge/Evasion/Sneak Attack dice by at least 3 levels
>>
>>53262987
is this that guy whose daughter keeps shitting on the floor? abortion exists for a reason
>>
Homem Aranha
Super Homem
Apostas Mortas
Cobra Solida
>>
>>53263301
Forgot to reply to >>53263263
>>
>>53263301
>Cobra Solida
That one actually sounds kind of cool.
>>
>>53263294
desu depends on how many levels he can expect the campaign to run.
If he can expect to hit level 10 at least it might not be so bad.

You would get the fun of battle master, actions surge, duelist fighting style, some larger hit dice.
Really not a bad trade since fighter is so frontloaded with goodies.
>>
>>53262987
>>53263297
>Discord

Not even once
>>
>>53263294
Battle Master
>Double Sneak attack, Action surge, Duelist, Feinting attack

Swords Bard
>Inspiration, Spells, Bonus AC, More movement

I think it's a fair trade, depends on the level you start and when you want to break off.
>>
>>53263318
I have to admit that Deadpool is the only really bad sounding name from that post. Super Homem and Homem Aranha are actually used here so I'm kind of used to it, even tho Superman is just Superman now.
>>
File: 1455571382847.jpg (1MB, 830x1138px) Image search: [Google]
1455571382847.jpg
1MB, 830x1138px
So I'm a Pathfinder consumer whore. Bestiaries, adventure paths, npc codices; you name it. I just like the weirdness that comes in the adventures and the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink setting. But this past weekend, I got my first time DMing 5e, and I've run into something of a problem.

I like it. I really, really like it. A lot.

It's easy on me, it's easy on my players, it's fun, it's smooth. Call me an instant fan. But I'm not big on the Forgotten Realms, or even really the new megadventures that are out. They're good, but the lack that kind of craziness I liked from the PF adventures.

So level with me /5eg/; is it possible to convert the PF APs to 5E, playing fast and loose with the rules, or is it too much of an uphill battle?
>>
Yeah keep laughing helmet bug. It will be your last.
>>
>>53260134
Martial classes are superior, though.
>>
>>53263398
Shut up Homu
>>
>>53263382
Yes just learn the system and conversions will be easy eventually
>>
>>53260794
No. Maybe they'll add an oldschool module where the dungeon is actually a space ship.
>>
>>53263398
Shut up Homo
>>
Discord posters keep that shit out of the thread you attention whoring faggots.
>>
>>53263427
Why not just make one yourself?
>>
>tfw my pirate setting is secretly just an excuse to run one piece and none of my players noticed
feels good
>>
>>53263439
Shut up Homu
>>
>>53263382
If you're shit at design NOTHING can save you. If you can design then design.
>>
>>53263458
Fruit included and they still don't know?
>>
Discord posters are the best. Anon fags suck in comparison. Bet you faggots don't even share furry porn with each other. Homu is literally the coolest and most retarded person on the internet.
>>
>>53263382
I don't see why not, for most monster or NPCs you can easily find a stat block to fit for a base then port over certain signature abilities. It might be wonky at first but I've personally converted over monsters from past editions since there are more and to keep players guessing.
>>
>>53263382
Porting things from 3.5/PF to 5th is pretty easy, all things considered.

The biggest things to keep in mind are that they (by in large) got rid of negative traits for racial modifiers, a lot of the saves still revolve around the big 3 (Constitution = Fortitude, Dexterity = Reflex, Wisdom = Will), and that for some of the powers that monsters/bosses in PF get you can replicate it via Lair Actions and Legendary Actions with your big encounters.

The other big thing to keep in mind is that because you can't max a stat above 20 in 5e outside of special books and the proficiency/bounded accuracy system, a lot of the attack rolls and saves needed to be performed have lower DCs.
>>
>>53260117
Ask your DM to let you sacrifice some other things to get shadow-port.

Ask them for a magical item that does it for you.

Instead of rogue get ranger 4 + monk rest. Make sure to get the proper skill proficiencies.
>>
Let this be a lesson newfags, this is why discord for generals on 4chan is garbage and should be mocked and not encouraged in any capacity.
>>
>>53263477

>Devil Fruit

Magic Item, consumable, rarity (varies)

Description: an edible fruit that can be consumed by one person. Must be eaten entirely to grant it's effect. Once eaten, the fruit grants a power to the eater. In exchange, all future Athletics checks that involve swimming are made at Disadvantage. The power gained varies, which also affects it's rarity. The power powerful the effect, the more likely it is that someone else already has it.

Note: if someone already possesses one of the powers listed below, it cannot be gained by another person until that first person dies.

> *insert fuck-huge RNG table here*

I suspect most of the powers would be relegated to 1/short rest, and others grant bonuses (light your fists on fire, add X Fire damage to each attack).
>>
You can't counterspell Mystic stuff, right? As it's not magic?
>>
>>53263477
They never found one, but they know there are magical fruit out there giving magical effects to the one who eats it. They're basically permanent magic items and super rare.
>>
>>53263532
Joke is on you, anon. We have a trannie who totally posts xis/xer boipussi while we talk about building Sorclocks. Shit is cash money.
>>
>>53263559
Counterspell is for spells only.
Psionics are described as magic, but not as spells.
>>
File: 1422758088498.jpg (12KB, 475x263px) Image search: [Google]
1422758088498.jpg
12KB, 475x263px
>>53263421
>>53263470
>>53263484
>>53263491
Thanks kindly.
>>
>>53263577
So you can cast detect magic and dispel magic as its sort of magic?
>>
>>53263559
it is magic but they aren't spells, anti-magic fields and detect magic work but counterspell or spell absorb rings don't.
>>
>>53263619
Detect yes,
Dispel, maybe, it's intended for spells, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for some psionic stuff, the DM has to bullshit a theoretical spell level based on the psi cost, though.
>>
>>53263559
This is the issue with psionic stuff; is it magic (or magic-like), or is it something else (which in 3.5 was called a Spell-Like Ability).

I think RAW, no, Psionic stuff is not magic, but will give off an aura of it if analyzed under the effects of something like Detect Magic or Dispel Magic.

RAI, yes, I do think they want to make it so that Counterspell can potentially counter psionic-based effects.
>>
>>53261439
One variant of this is the player casts an illusion spell to, for, example, hide the party, and the DM has mooks roll Investigation one at a time until one succeeds, then tells the others it's an illusion. For some reason they all believe that person, and the rest of the mooks attack/whatever.
>>
>>53263656
>>53263674
>>53263675
I see? Thank you. I will assume that dispell magic works but counterspell won't work for my group.
>>
>>53263675
RAW 5e psionics are in fact magic, yet not spellcasting.
>>
Okay so l'm making god for my setting and l'm at the part where l decide their domains. Never played a cleric, tho, so l wonder...
is including Player's Handbook domains only a bad thing?
>>
Does the spell magic stone count as a Ranged Spell Attack or a Ranged Weapon Attack when fired from a Sling? I've been thinking of a Druid/Rogue recently and that seems like the best option for damage if it works with Sneak Attack.
>>
>>53261439
Stealth should be rolled as a group check, only because how surprise works in 5e.
When you begin combat, DM determines surprised creatures, which means, some creatures might be surprised, and some not, primarily by passive Perception exceeding the rolled stealth number.
If you don't use stealth as a group check, then you effectively ignore this kind of partial-surprise rule set, as it becomes binary. Creatures are all surprised, or not, because that one guy rolled too low on stealth.
At least that's how I play it.

>>53263744
Dude, the spell says you use a ranged spell attack. The attacker adds the caster's spellcasting ability modifier.
>>
>>53263764
Sorry my bad, don't actually have the .pdf with me right now. Good to here that though, I wonder if I could convince my DM to let me conjure a Sling for my Bladelock.
>>
I don't like gnomes and I think tieflings and dragonborn don't fit well with the setting. Can I remove them without looking like an asshole?
>>
>>53263930
I think if you straight up say "I don't like gnomes, tieflings, and dragonborn, so I didn't include them in my setting." without making it a value judgement - i.e. you don't say anyone who loves gnomes is midget loving faggot or anyone who likes tieflings or dragonborn are fucking scalies - then it's not asshole-ish.
>>
>>53263930
It's your campaign; if the players don't like it, they'll bring it up and you can have a conversation before telling them to get lost.
>>
File: Pirate's Mantle.png (42KB, 1109x418px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate's Mantle.png
42KB, 1109x418px
>>53260489
While I wait for some more feedback on the weapons above.

Here is a Magic mantle I have been working on, what do you guys think? Too strong? Too weak? Just right?
>>
>>53264160
the first one is ok, the rest is just, why.
just stop, i don't want to say they are all shit, but they are all mostly shit.
>>
How does enchanting work? If I want to make a fire sword can I do that? Or do I just have to hope my DM gives me one as loot?
>>
>>53264354
There's rules for crafting but it's not something that's easy to do.

Some classes get access to Elemental Weapon and Magic Weapon spells which let them make temporary magic weapons. Artificer Wizards can also make magical weapons pretty well with spellslots.

If you specifically want a character with a flaming sword for fluff reasons then Clerics and Paladins get extra damage on a hit. Paladins with Radiant and some Clerics get Fire.
>>
>>53264386
Where can i find the rules for this? I looked around in player handbook and DMG and couldn't find anything pertaining to the subject
>>
>>53264453
The DMG should have the rules, I think in Downtime Activities.

The UA with Downtime Activities has better rules for it though. I think with that one it takes like 4 weeks for one character to make an Uncommon item? Which is pretty reasonable when you think about how Enchanted gear is rather rare.

Though another option for a "Magical Item" would be to just pay to have your weapon silvered. Which is 100gp and then pay someone to cast Continual Flame on it so it looks magical. Instant resistant bypassing permanent flaming sword.
>>
File: 1493324752295.jpg (188KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493324752295.jpg
188KB, 640x800px
>>53263930
Well they're right there next to the other races in the PHB so I'd wish you to explain your decision.
>>
>>53264500
Thanks.
If you were a DM would you allow a player to silver a weapon for cheaper if they had proficiency with smithing and access to a whole smithy? I imagine my character could just pay for the materials and do the silvering himself
>>
>>53264314
The weapons? Or the mantle?
>>
>>53264533
Well judging by crafting I'd let them do it for half-cost and do 25gp of work per day.

So two days and 50gp of Silver.
>>
>>53261630
you're a faggot. you are a noob and don't understand DMing.

You are level 3, you are an overglorified peasant.
You are receiving shit gold now because later you will receive WAY more and you will feel the difference, and how your powers are well paid at last.

Progression is interesting. Buying a horse at level 1 isn't.
You fag
>>
>>53264555
Sweet, thanks anon. This is my first time playing and I'm trying to avoid embarassing myself with silly questions in front of the others
>>
>>53264596
That's a fair one to ask, not all DM's will let you because the process would be reasonably difficult but I reckon a character with proficiency should be able to.

If they say no then just tough it out to you can pay someone else to do it.
>>
File: 1494860192598.png (2MB, 1316x1490px) Image search: [Google]
1494860192598.png
2MB, 1316x1490px
>DM hates low levels, apparently you can't do anything interesting with it
>Tells us to make level 8 characters
>"Cool what do we put in our equipment?"
>"Oh just your starting equipment and 1000 gold"
>>
I want to level up Langdedrosa Cyanwrath from HotDQ, how do I go about doing this?

I arranged a friend to make a "guest appearance" and play him.

I'll apply the Half-Dragon template from MM to a Fighter (Champion) we create of any race.

My PCs are at level 7 and Cyanwrath is normally CR4. They'll whoop his ass if I don't make him stronger.
>>
File: Starting Equipment.png (1MB, 1678x702px) Image search: [Google]
Starting Equipment.png
1MB, 1678x702px
>>53264630
>Starts at level 8
Multiclass, find one and get it.

Also, 1000 GP is fine for starting the game at level 8 for the standard game.
>>
>>53262894
Barbarian 5
FIghter 3
Rogue 3
Paladin 3
Monk 3
Ranger 3
Warlock 3
I call this build: you are a text'd've cuck

Seriously now, she did you a favor at breaking up, because now you can see she is not worth it (no girl who breaks up through text is worth it). You could've spent the next years hoping she is perfect and then get dissapointed later. She cut it off early, its a good thing.

For the build, check up the syncronization between all and masturabte furiously.
>>
Is it hard to be a monk?
>>
>>53264705
It's easy.
>>
>>53264705
Monks are boring to play. Just stunning fist forever.
>>
>>53264705
Nothing's hard to play in this edition. Monks just need to try and push the group to short rest, have DEX and WIS high as heck and dart for the enemies backliners.

Monks are best at taking down people that others can't get close to or can't really stop through damage fast enough. Your low damage is still enough to be able to kill spellcasters and your stuns help stop the big bad looking guy from doing shit.
>>
>>53264650
A group of level 7's will tear through anything you put up by itself. Why not make your friend guest appear as a friend
>>
>>53261630
Sounds like you should find some treasure in a monster hoard
>>
File: look at this doooood.jpg (14KB, 480x371px) Image search: [Google]
look at this doooood.jpg
14KB, 480x371px
>>53264693
That build is not possible. For several reasons.

First, you need to be able to have enough stats to multiclass between all of them, since you only get one ASI from the barbarian. That is only possible by taking the normal human race (not variant) option, which gives +1 to all stats and no other bonuses. Which is terrible.

Second, the maximum level is 20. You're suggesting a lvl 23 build. To make it possible, you will need to drop two levels in barbarian (losing that ASI) and one level in another class, such as the warlock (lvl 2 warlocks can have 'devil's sight', so a big fuck off to creatures that cast darkness. Then again the GM could just spawn something horrifying in it for fear effect, making you wish you didn't have devil's sight).

With a build like this, starting at lvl 3, it's not likely you will survive to make the full build possible.
>>
>>53264822
...I think it might actually be better then I originally though man. I mean it gets a lot of cool abilities, skills, extra attack and can be a level 7 caster.

I mean once you actually get to level 20 you'd be alright. I would play it in a level 20 one shot but it's terrible for 75% of the game.
>>
>>53264783
Oh the half-dragon isn't alone. He will have 4xCR2 Berserkers with him in the room.

The calculation puts the encounter in the Deadly category.

Should I change the stats or just bump him into CR5 for increased Proficiency bonus?
>>
File: oc_fighter_color_by_yamao.jpg (41KB, 1024x667px) Image search: [Google]
oc_fighter_color_by_yamao.jpg
41KB, 1024x667px
Just about to reach Lv. 4 with mi rapier & shield wielding Battle Master Fighter and I was wondering if I should take a second feat (it's a variant human that started with the Shield Master feat) or the ability score increase.

What do you think?
>>
File: the_GM_s_plot_is_in_full_swing.gif (2MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
the_GM_s_plot_is_in_full_swing.gif
2MB, 265x200px
>>53264854
I disagree with it working, to be honest.

You assume that the synergy will be good, but it brings up multiple problems across all fronts.

Consider the following:
>You can't use rage or otherwise you will be unable to use any spells or abilities such as smite, and your AC whilst wearing no armor will be shit because you will have around 14 DEX and CON, giving you 14 AC.
>You will have no access to any spells beyond lvl 2 spells because of you only reaching lvl 3 on any spell casting class.
>You will have no ASI, and therefore no feats or stat increases which give you +5% chance to most things.
>Sneak attack will be capped at 2d6 forever, and only works if you use a finesse weapon to attack.

Also, you will never get extra attack unless you reduce one of the other classes by 2, or 2 by 1, so as to get lvl 5 in a class that gives you extra attack at lvl 5.

Sorry for sperging man, but it just wouldn't work without making massive sacrifices. You take no specialization just to have a weak sense of being a jack of all trades.
>>
>>53264900
I advise getting the shield master feat. I assume here that you are a DEX fighter. The +2 increase to DEX saves whilst holding a shield and being conscious will help you much better than a +1 to DEX, in addition to the 'bonus action shoving creature prone', which will give you advantage on attacking the prone creature if it fails against your athletics check. However, you should bump up your stats as soon as you can after getting the feat.
>>
>>53264942
Thanks for answering.

Already got Shield Master from the beginning thanks to Variant Human. I'm indeed a DEX fighter (so far my scores are STR 14, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8). So I guess for now an increase of DEX to 18 will suffice. Thanks again for the advice.
>>
how terrible of an idea is it for me to play a 8 con rogue in my first d&d session?

i want my hp but i also want/need average/above average/good cha, dex, wis, and int
>>
>Dragon's are rare in the world I'm playing in
>really want to fight one
God damn. It just seems fun.
>>
>>53264978
Depend on the starting level. At level 1, pretty terribad.

Why don't you go Half-Elf?
9 15(+1) 13(+1) 12 12 12(+2)
>>
>>53264989
Beware, anon. Beware. Dragons are by lore TPK machines. Stat wise, they live up to that name.
>>
>>53264998
Eh? Adult and Young aren't that bad. You better prepared something against flying and breath weapon though.
>>
>>53264978
Even with V.Human you can get 8, 16, 12 and then arrange a 13, 12 and 14 among INT, WIS and CHA as you see fit.
>>
>>53264996
>>53265039
We rolled for stats and I'm a variant human 7(+1), 17, 8, 11(+1), 13(+1 from a feat), 14

I've considered swapping the int 12 with the con 8 but for rp purposes I feel like I don't want my character to be a bit of a dumby.
>>
>>53265052
> rolled for stats
> use +1 on STR
>>
File: It ain't me.gif (54KB, 273x343px) Image search: [Google]
It ain't me.gif
54KB, 273x343px
>>53264972
No problem. Be sure to either bump it up to 20 at lvl 6, or to get the duelist defense feat (which gives you a bonus to your AC based on your proficiency bonus as a reaction to an attack)

>>53265014
Oh but they are, especially when the GM uses kiting tactics. Be sure to have something that forces them on the ground. The GM I play with has the dragon use the following strategy:

>Breath attack
>Fly away
>Try to recharge
>No recharge? Hide or fly far away
>Recharged? Fly by breath attack and then fly away again
>Rinse and repeat until party gets pissed and leaves, TPK happens, or dragon is downed to the ground and killed

What I did was basically stealth and let the rest of the party draw its attention, they shoot at it with advantage. Managed to get a crit that killed it at last.
>>
>>53265052
put 8 on Wisdom because that's what you should have from playing a game with rolled stats.
>>
>>53265052
Remove the +1 from Strength and put it in DEX first of all.

Then chose a mental stat to dump. If you have a 12-14 in all of them you'll be kinda good but anyone who uses them will be way better. There's really no mechanical or story reason to have them all that high.
>>
>>53265066
That's what I meant by preparing to have something against flying enemy.
>>
>>53265063
>>53265077
I put the +1 in str because I want to be able to at least attempt climbing athletics checks and I didn't put a +1 in dex because 18 dex seems like it might make my character a little too strong at level 1.

>>53265076
I know the PHB says int is the secondary stat for rogues but at least for my character wisdom seems way more appropriate than int.
>>
>>53265108
>rolling for ability scores
>"18 dex seems like it might make my character a little too strong at level 1"
>>
>>53265108
If you're putting Con at 8 then you really need all the strong you can get. You will literally die in one unlucky hit.

Also Wisdom's way better then Intelligence for Rogues.
>>
>>53265108
Just put your proficiency on Athletics. +5% won't help you that much in a long run.

Also normally you don't need to make a climbing check, unless your DM is a dick. The book specically said that a check is only needed when you're doing weird stuff like climbing a slippery surface or the one with no place for your hands.
>>
>>53265108
A Goblin on average does 5.5 damage. You have 7 HP.

Minmax the fuck out it mate.
>>
>>53265108
> insult that the player (not the character) has low wis
> still doesn't get it

Son...
>>
>>53265132
This, the real test for a level 1 character is "Can a generic Goblin, Kobold other weak enemy kill me in one non-critical hit?". If they can then you need more HP.
>>
Non-human races should be locked to a handful of classes.
Only humans should have the opporunity to choose from all classes.
>>
>>53265117
look bro we rolled for stats because that's what the dm has always done and randomized stats seem fun to me

>>53265122
>>53265125
>>53265132
I guess I might just make my wisdom or charisma 12, my int 8, and con 14 and rewrite my backstory a little to make the character dumber

>>53265137
sorry misread, thought you said i would have had 8 wisdom if i had used the pre-assigned stats
>>
>>53265168
If that's how you feel then you can use that rule. No one has to play with you if they don't like it.

While I disagree I think some classes should be restricted.

Mostly Warlocks to only shit players.
>>
Can anyone think of some fun sword and board type builds that can do more than soak damage?
>>
>>53260062
>What do you want to see in the game?
>Magus/Swordmage base class.
>Spell-less Alchemist/Artificer
>"Hunter" (pf style). A class focused on fighting and partial shapeshifting.
>Better Pet Class options, perhaps something like PF summoner's Tailor made monster trainer schtick.
>Expanded options within subclasses, like how for Wot4e monk you get choices each time.
>A big book of ACFs, for exchanging class features outside of subclasses, such as making a cleric who doesn't heal or turn undead, but still does the fighting and domain stuff.
>Alternate Spell Lists.
>>
>>53265190
Valor Bard. Expertise in Athletic. Shield Master feat.
>>
>>53265190
Half-Elf Champion with Shield Master and Elven Accuracy. Knock them prone and then crit-fish.

Human Knight with Sentinel and Tunnel Fighter. Be a real sticky guy.
>>
File: pfg discovers 5e.png (229KB, 525x248px) Image search: [Google]
pfg discovers 5e.png
229KB, 525x248px
>>53265200
>>
>>53265200
If you want aboat class option and needlessly complocate sub rule for DM...
Why don't you stick to Pathflouder then, you furry fox fucker.
>>
>>53265205
>>53265206
That was fast! Thank you both. I'll look into these when I can.
>>
>>53264822
actually ignore the ranger 3 part i didn't have my morning monster
>>
>>53265200
>>Magus/Swordmage base class.
Half the casters in the game do this.
>>Spell-less Alchemist/Artificer
Refluff Alchemist's spells to be potions.
>>"Hunter" (pf style). A class focused on fighting and partial shapeshifting.
Specifically called out to be something that Totem Barbs do in fluff.
>>Better Pet Class options, perhaps something like PF summoner's Tailor made monster trainer schtick.
I agree a summoner could be cool but 5e combat doesn't work well with throwing in an extra body. I guess a Sorcerer could be a good base for one.
>>Expanded options within subclasses, like how for Wot4e monk you get choices each time.
Those are actually good.
>>A big book of ACFs, for exchanging class features outside of subclasses, such as making a cleric who doesn't heal or turn undead, but still does the fighting and domain stuff.
That's not really something 5e does, you already have other options for Channel Divinity.
>>Alternate Spell Lists.
Why?
>>
>>53264915
if you rage, you cannot cast spells.
smite is not a spell, its a class ability, so you can still do it
>>
>>53264915
Rage just forbidden you from casting spell or concentrating on one.

Stuff that doesn't need concentration like Spiritual Weapon, Blink and Mirror Image still work.
>>
>>53265260
But spiritual weapon, blink, and mirror image are spells.

>>53265244
Ok.
>>
>>53265278
You cast them and then you enter rage. It's not that hard to grasp.
>>
>>53265281
Ye you can do that I guess.
>>
>>53265293
It's basically the thing that actually makes a Barbarian/Caster possible.

We need more Stone Sorcerer/Barbarians out there.
>>
>>53265293
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/27/can-barbarian-use-spiritualweapon-while-raging/
>>
>>53265208
>Options and variety are terrible
Yes, I disagree.

You can always run "core only" or restrict the options available in your campaign.

I do that all the time. But I don't necessarily restrict it to the ones in the phb. I'm just as likely to disallow something from the phb if it doesn't fit the campaign.

>>53265212
>All that displacement
Character option variety is one of the things a lot of people prefer from Pathfinder.

I like 5e's number design, not needing number padding items to keep up, and its improved monster creation system over what Pathfinder offered. I also like that I don't have to wade through a sea of unusable options to find the few usable ones.

I only don't like how restrictive it is for character customization.

Stopped GMing Pathfinder a few years ago. Was just too big of a pain in the ass to run, especially if you didn't want to run something out of a book.

And you can keep your animal fucking to yourself and pfg thanks, I'm good without it.
>>
Can't decide if I want to be proficient in in deception or slight of hand senpai
>>
>>53265324
> pretend that he isn't a furry
> when he specially called out the shape shifting thing

Too late now. Everyone know you want the knot.
>>
>>53265357
Not him but if 5e's first original setting is a noblebright world of beastfolk I'll be so happy.

Also Totem Barbarians already do that.
>>
>>53265240
>Swordmage
There's more variety on the theme that I've seen players want. Like more of a focus on delivering spells through weapons.
>Refluff alchemist spells as potions
I don't think most GMs would let you hand off a bunch of buff spell potions to other players well before combat for them to drink when needed. This is an instance where refluff doesn't work well enough.
>Partial shapeshifting is in totem barbarian
I will have to look at that. I only skimmed barbarian, and haven't seen anybody play one in 5e yet.
>You already have other options for channel divinity.
Yes. But you don't have the option to take the class away from turn undead. I mean, you could have "dead features" you tell your party "I know my class gave me this feature but it doesn't fit what I'm going for here, so I'm not going to use it, no matter how useful it would be, I'm not even writing it on the sheet, as far as I'm concerned I don't have it." But that's not gonna go over well, and you're handicapping yourself. However, saying "I took X other ability instead of turn undead" goes over fine, and you're not crippling yourself in the process.
>Alternate spell lists why?
Again, variety of play style and concepts. Stuff like a sorcerer or Eldritch knight type caster with druid-like spells. Or an Eldritch knight type who casts primarily enchantment spells. Or what have you.
>>
>>53265378
>Refluff alchemist spells as potions
I don't think most GMs would let you hand off a bunch of buff spell potions to other players well before combat for them to drink when needed. This is an instance where refluff doesn't work well enough.

If you change game mechanic, it's not refluff. That's a homebrew, retard.

You refluff your stuff into potion and fluff your PC as someone who only administrate potion to people when you're around. So it's work mechanically too.
>>
>>53265357
>wanting a character who gets things like cats eyes for night vision or claws for natural weapons or wings for flight means you want to fuck animals.
You clearly spend too much time looking at hentai.

And also, totem barbarian does that type of thing.
>>
>>53265378
>Like more of a focus on delivering spells through weapons.
GFB, BB and the Smite Spells are all literally that. Stone Sorcerer fills this role pretty well.
>I don't think most GMs would let you hand off a bunch of buff spell potions to other players well before combat for them to drink when needed.
Er, that's already the level 4 Artificer ability mate.
>>53265378
>I will have to look at that. I only skimmed barbarian
Basically says when they enter their Rage they could grow a thick fut, get cat eyes and etc.
>"I took X other ability instead of turn undead
If you can give me another situation of this then I'll be willing to think about that but I've never seen a Cleric use turn undead this edition because subclass options are so much better.
>Stuff like a sorcerer or Eldritch knight type caster with druid-like spells.
We're already getting them. Theurge, Favored Soul and subclasses adding spells to their list.
>>
>>53265408
>Reading comprehension failure.
The point is that refluff can't do it to any kind of satisfying degree. You need Homebrew, as you so astutely recognized, because the mechanics are insufficient for the task. Hence the statement that I would be interested in a nonmagical alchemist option.
>>
>>53265441
Starting at 4th level, you gain the ability to channel your artificer spells into objects for later use. When you cast an artificer spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can increase its casting time to 1 minute. If you do so and hold a nonmagical item throughout the casting, you expend a spell slot, but none of the spell’s effects occur. Instead, the spell transfers into that item for later use if the item doesn’t already contain a spell from this feature.
>>
>>53265441
> I want my special snowflake mechanic just for my character, like in Pathfinder!! Why won't the game bend to my will instead of me trying to get around it like a normal functional human being.
>>
>>53265426
>Theurge, Favored Soul
Right. I want more things like that. Where's the confusion?

>Another example of a feature you could want to exchange instead of turn undead?
A druid that doesn't wildshape and is instead animal companion focused is another potential example. As mentioned by someone else though, balancing action economy is tricky business, it would take effort to do well.

>>53265458
Can Steve the fighter drink the option on his turn, using his action instead of yours? I thought that was not the case.

But that still has you end up with "unwanted spellcasting". There's no "I don't have the ability to cast spells, I make bombs and potions to use at a later date".
Admittedly, Pathfinder's "your potions become inert if you put them down or let go of them, unless you're throwing them at something" wasn't very satisfying either.
>>
>>53265528
I'm a foreverGM, fuckboy, I don't know anyone else who is willing to run 5e at this point. If I want to play a D&D game, my only option is Pathfinder. Your meme is stale.
>>
>>53265533
>A druid that doesn't wildshape and is instead animal companion focused is another potential example. What is the spell Awaken? A Druid exclusive that gives you a plant or animal companion. Also if you want a nature guy with a Pet there's always Beastmaster.

>Can Steve the fighter drink the option on his turn, using his action instead of yours?
Yes.

>There's no "I don't have the ability to cast spells, I make bombs and potions to use at a later date".
Except you are making potions to use at a later date and your subclass already gives you a bunch of options. Rename your "spellcasting" to "brewing". Artificers in D&D have always been magical, making potions that buff people and shit is inherently magical in all settings.
>>
>>53265554
Why? 5e is goddamn easy to run and to play. Backwards grognards still cling to the shitfest that is pf.
>>
>>53265533
See the issue comes down to you want a bunch of highly specific things that haven't been made and likely will never be made because they don't fit into D&D settings.

Most people play Forgotten Realms or at least a setting that follows the same basic rules about classes. That's what WotC make content for so far.

In these settings all Druids wildshape, all followers of Gods have certain anti-undead abilities, a potion which hardens your skin is inherently magical and requires magic to function. It's all part of the D&D identity for 90% of settings.

I've never touched Pathfinder but as far as I can tell they nonstop pumped out classes and options for every possible option and then just shoved it into their setting. D&D has previous editions it's getting its content from and so classes have the same fluff and rough abilities they've always had, this time it's simplified though.
>>
File: MA-803S.png (142KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
MA-803S.png
142KB, 850x850px
>it's another "everyone uses a fucking rapier" episode

can we remove this abomination of a weapon from the game already?
>>
File: 1483163210036.jpg (58KB, 698x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483163210036.jpg
58KB, 698x960px
What's the best way to build pic related guys?
>>
>>53265630
Some people still use Shortswords for flavor anon, I don't even have BB/GFB on my Assassin.
>>
>>53265638
>be fighter
>named Siegward
>pay your local blacksmith for a banana suit
>>
>>53265630
Some people prefer Shortswords for dual wielding and flavor.
>>
>>53265554
>>53265528
>>53265614
In an ideal 5e, I'd just pick the class features I want based on character level and a point budget of some sort, and just build my character, like basically every game that's not D&D. There's a bunch of stuff I like about D&D, especially 5e, but "classes" aren't one of them. I prefer classless, or classes that are so flexible that it might as well be.

>>53265614
Yeah. Pathfinder basically tried to give the flexibility of classless with lots of options, without actually going classless (which would have been better).

And sure, that's FR. I'd just appreciate the flexibility to just do whatever type of setting the GM wants, or give the players more flexibility (since they mostly seem to want it - which is why people are apparently willing to pay good money for shitty 5e Homebrew expanded character options).

>>53265567
They'll play 5e if I'm running it. They say they prefer Pathfinder because tons of monster manuals and character options and the sheer number of features characters have and the high power level and adventure paths and the of d20pfsrd (this one I can point them to 5etools for), so if they're running dnd, that's what they run. Most of them started gaming in like 2008, with 3.5 or Pathfinder beta. And they're good at picking out the usable options. But fuck do I ever hate having to coordinate all the fiddly bits of characters several levels ahead because everything has a ton of prereqs.

We play other games that aren't D&D, but 5e didn't catch on so much with the people I know, unfortunately.

The biggest complaints they have are about how rigid and inflexible the character options are, and it's basically the only complaint I have about 5e.

I would love to actually get to play 5e with my group as a player, even if I do think the character creation is too rigid.
>>
>>53263244
Good point actually, so far they have made any combatant that is ''leaving combat" leave the map space. I think I'll be getting a good measure on opponents if I can get the extra 30feet outside of their dash-range.
>>
>>53265677
If you want to play a non-class based RPG why are you playing D&D?
>>
>>53265725
>If you'd prefer classless, why dnd?
The gameplay and style of "class features", mostly. The premade published adventures and settings being the next reason.

I like classes as a convenient thematic grouping of features you don't have to fully but into, for convenience, (GURPS style) more so than a rigid framework you're shackled to.

But I like d&d style combat, and spells, and races, and monsters.

And I occasionally want a game in Faerun or Planescape or Spelljammer or Golarion (sections of it, anyways), or want to run something with minimal prep work out of a book because time constraints.

Basically for everything *other* than classes.
>>
What's the best feat for Artificer?
>>
>>53265725
D&D (5e or Pathfinder) comprises like 1/3 to 1/2 of the gaming we do. The remainder is other games. Shadowrun, GURPS, and Unisystem being the other main recurring games, and then single campaigns in other systems where the GM is trying it out, which dont usually show up again after that campaign (FFG Star wars, 40k RPG, PTU, Rolemaster, M&M, among others). But we usually have a couple campaigns in different systems on the go at a given time.

These days my personal interests are mostly 5e and GURPS. GURPS character creation is much better, but 5e has other things I like, and works for campaigns I wouldn't want to use GURPS for.
>>
Can anyone think of a decent way of awarding XP for using creative ways to resolve encounters/ fights. My characters are LVL4 right now and I'm not sure how to award XP. on the one hand I don't to give too much and let one player be a much higher level than the other players, on the other I don't want to give them a trivial amount of XP.

Are there any mechanics for awarding XP out of combat?
>>
>>53265922
One approach is to do combat XP, and Homebrew XP rules based on other games.

A flat amount per session, plus bonus XP for "session achievements" is an attachment I've seen many times that works pretty well. Give it in % of a level for ease of use, rather than using the scaling XP values based on combat encounters.
>>
>>53265948
Ditch combat XP.*
>>
File: 1423464042804.png (577KB, 806x975px) Image search: [Google]
1423464042804.png
577KB, 806x975px
>>53262894
I had this Paladin who approached a local gang of half-orcs who were fucking with people, and basically quoted James Mattis;
>I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.
Now, the average DM would say "oh, roll intimidate", but I'd disagree. The only person needing to make a roll is those motherfuckers, not me. I wasn't trying to convince them that this is how things were going to be; this IS how things are going to be.

Don't start off with that "I accept your decision" shit, either, you're just legitimizing her bullshit. Tell her it's bullshit, she's bullshit, and she should be fucking ashamed of herself to even imagine that that's the decent way to treat another person.
You don't roll persuasion, initimidate, performance, nothing. You make the bitch roll a god damned charisma save.
>>
>>53266184
>I wasn't trying to convince them that this is how things were going to be; this IS how things are going to be.

Yeah, except that if they don't believe that's how things are going to be, they're not going to surrender.

It's like trying to say you shouldn't have to roll to attack someone because you're not trying to hit them, you're going to hit them, and that they should have to make a DEX roll to get out of the way.
>>
>>53260959
>Damage-focused arcane half-caster
Just need more arrow spells availible to all spell lists.

>EK and AT-like archetypes for druidic magic
Ranger exists but i wouldn't mind another one that has more melee or more spell focus.

>Animal-themed nature-y monk
That could be the EK/AT-like archetype you want.

>Aberration-based mutation-themed sorcerer
Like Alchemy experiments and the like as its theme?
>>
Welp it's time to reroll, what's the most fun Warlock patron/warlock build?
>>
>>53260959
>Damage-focused arcane half-caster

Maybe if the Eldritch Knight became a full class, like an arcane equivalent of the the Paladin.

Arcane Archers could be an archetype, possibly Bladesingers as well.
>>
>>53263059

My dude that's not how the portuguese language work. If you look at old town names of portuguese cities, they are play on words that describe themselves, but they're not just words put together. Lets say for an example

"Montemor-o-Novo"

Thats a play on words to say "The new big Mount".

You're not meant to just put two words together and thats it. English town names arent just "StickFight" or "DrumBeaters" or whatever.
>>
>>53266281
>Yeah, except that if they don't believe that's how things are going to be, they're not going to surrender.

They can either take my word for it, or they can choose not to, and suffer the consequences for it. A roll from me wouldn't detract or add to the truth of the statement. The only thing that matters is their reaction.
Honestly, I never saw the point of anybody rolling in that particular scenario, but if there was someone that had to, it would be them.

>It's like trying to say
No.
>>
I'm going to be DM for a group of people that have never played a table top game before. I have been the DM before but with people who were quite experienced at it, what is the best way to go about running a campaign for these people? Should I essentially just have everything premade for them at first?
>>
>>53260998
Pretty much everything they've added for wizard steps on the toes of other classes, There are archetypes that clearly try to adapt one class to become another like scouts, several archetypes like monster slayers are literally the same thing for different classes. I think what they're doing is just bloating things up. They should beef up the multiclassing system, since their intention just seems to be to constantly release the same options but just attached to another class
>>
>>53266722
The whole reason you're speaking to them first instead of just attacking them is avoid killing them, thus the need for an intimidation check. Alternatively if you're telling them that to give yourself a paper thin justification for attacking when they're either provoked or they ignore you, then you need a persuasion check or a performance check.

If the response to what you're saying didn't matter you'd just swing. Since you're the one acting you initiate the check.
>>
>>53261578
>>53261592
Pym particles obviously
>>
>>53263375
>Apostas Mortas
>bad sounding
It looks good to me. We have our next assassin's creed protagonist.
>>
>>53262843
Shield tho
>>
>>53267014
>Dead Bet
I guess.
>>
>>53267024
Still fucks with casters that don't get it. Only wizards and sorcerers get it
>>
>>53265408
>What is infuse magic?
>>
>>53267166
>only wizards
>and sorcerors
>and eldritch knights
>and arcane tricksters
>and bards (esp lore)
>and anyone who picks it up with magic initiate
>>
What spells should a fighter taking magic initiate feat take? Is there any reason apart from RP to take this feat?
>>
>>53260062
So i have started to design a concept for a monk archetype.

A mix 1/3 caster with Druid spells and something similar to the Totem Barbarian.

>LvL 3 gain Spellcasting like AT/EK but only druid spells.

>LvL 6 gain an Animal-styled feature that grants one passive bonus and one active abillity.

-examples:

>Bull
- Spend 3 ki and for the Duration of 1 minute whenever you take the attack action you can charge in a 20ft long and 5ft wide straight line. Make an attack roll against each creature within the affected area and deal unarmed damage on each target you hit.
- You gain proficiency in the Athletics Skill or double your proficiency bonus in it if you are allready proficient in it.

>Tiger
- You expend 3 ki to exert your self. For the duration of 1 minute your Strenght becomes 15+Your Proficiency bonus and your movement speed increases by 10ft.
- Pounce - As long as you move at least 20 ft towards a target before hitting it with a melee weapon attack the target must make a STR saving throw against your Ki save DC.

>Turtle
- By expending 3 ki you gain resistance to all non-magical weapon attacks for 1 minute.
- You gain additional +1 to AC.

etc.

>At lvl 11 - Gain the abillity to cast alter self at will.

>At lvl 17 - Some decent capstone abillity. So far i thought some Giant Monkey (Sayan monkey) transformation once per short rest might be cool.
>>
>>53267229
Hex works fantastically if you're a crossbow fighter
>>
>>53267229
Depends from which class you are taking the spells from?

Hex is great for ranged.
Familiar is great for melee when you want to grant your self advanage.
>>
>>53267229
Find Familiar is useful to abuse for constant advantage via the help action, but it might be better to take via Ritual Caster if that's what you're after. Shield is potentially helpful. There are lots of cantrips with nice utility uses.

If you're looking at Magic Initiate you should probably be after the cantrips more than anything.
>>
>>53262400
still looking, still can't find... i know another person in my RL D&D group that has seen this article as well, but for the love of fuck i still can't find it
>>
>>53262400
>>53267401

You new to the internet or something? Here:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/downtime

If you can't find it after this, there's no helping ya.
>>
Is it too railroady if the characters, in the first session, get the news that the ruler has been assassinated and there are huge rewards for anyone who can lead the authorities to assassin?
>>
>>53267005
>The whole reason you're speaking to them first instead of just attacking them is avoid killing them
I'm telling them "This thing will happen if you do this" as a statement of truth, not a threat. They can take a passive Intimidation if they like, but ultimately, their reaction is going to be based purely on them.
>>
>>53265630
Rapiers aren't really the main issue, it's just that there are so few good finesse weapons.
>>
I don't like the Barbarian and Arcane Archer, it is as if they never tested the designs at least once. Ancestral Barbarian is so powerfull you have no reason to play any other archetype.
>>
>>53267490
Nope.
But if they ignore that and you start sending assassins after them too or make them get arrested for nothing and force them to work for the authorities then that's railroading.
>>
>>53267570
They didn't. They're having us do that for them
>>
>>53267308
>>53267323
>>53267339
With the Familiar using the help action, can this benefit ranged attacks?
If the familiar uses its action to 'help' and distract and Orc then I shoot the Orc it should still give me advantage right?
>Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you.
This implies that the familiar must be within 5ft of the Orc but the PC doesn't need to be close.
>You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally’s attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack roll is made with advantage.
This is where it implies that the PC will be close to the Orc, where they 'team up' to distract it. But this could easily be re-fluffed as "PC shouts at the Orc, Familiar feigns toward the Orc, PC fires his crossbow with advantage due to the distraction.
>>
What's up with the new 5etools? Glad someone's keeping it up, but it seems like it hasn't been updated for a while - at least the most recent UA stuff isn't there.
>>
>>53261396
>>53261345
I've just allowed a Mystic in my game. The counter point was that Nomadic Mind was banned, and he gets one fewer Discipline from the start than is listed in the UA.

I'm thinking that while he might be versatile, he'll end up more of a weak jack-of-all-trades than super powerful compared to the others. I can live with that.
>>
>>53263764
>>53261439
>>53261507
>>53261598
>>53263685
This is why I've added a surprise round to mine.

Any characters sneaking prior to the battle have their Stealth roll compared to a group Perception check on the opponents.

Characters with higher Stealth rolls than the check have a Surprise round, in which they may take an extra turn. For the purposes of class rules, all enemies are treated as Surprised during this round.

It works out fine. Sneaky characters benefit from sneak abilities, non-sneaky ones don't, and I hate group checks, it doesn't make any sense.
>>
Need some tips for conspiracy campaign

In a kingdom, there are drown who secretly rule. They disguise themselves as higher officials. The military leaders are human and working with the drow for their own benefit.

How do I progress this? How does the party expose this?

As of now the party has a drow assassin captive, but he killed himself.
>>
>>53268506
Conspiracy theorists who know about it. Throw them a guy in the street yelling about how drow rule the city, how they're going to invade your brains and sell them to mindflayers, and how mermaids are tampering with local medicine.

Throw sprinklings of truth in there, intercepted notes, names, etc. amongst a load of bullshitty tinfoil hat stuff, so they have plenty of leads to follow.
>>
>>53268604
>Conspiracy theorists who know about it
Better yet, conspiracy theorist who *almost know about it*

>THE SNAKE PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN OVER OUR BRAINS
And then for a double whammy of irony, add an actual Yuan-Ti conspiracy as a red herring
>>
>>53265377
I kind of have something like that in the works. Maybe I should develop it into a full-on setting.
>>
My players just fought their way to an underground orc camp. Any ideas for cool boss battle?
>>
>>53268723
>>
>>53260794
They might bring back spelljammer I guess.
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.