[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 358
Thread images: 61

File: 1494732020037.jpg (127KB, 736x1134px) Image search: [Google]
1494732020037.jpg
127KB, 736x1134px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/ >>53218508

What are your elves like?
>>
How do I convince my group to run away from a fight without taking things out of character? Thanks to the Fighter and some bad improv on the DM's part we're about to fight a group of enemies we likely can't win.
>>
File: Shadow.pdf (65KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow.pdf
65KB, 1x1px
One of my players has an item from the previous DM that gives him a Shadow as a companion. I'm fine with it, but should I be worried about the strength drain? And how should I handle the Shadows it creates?
>>
>>53229074
My elves are basically just Shifters in fluff.
>>
So.. I'm doing a one shot in 7 hours. I have 13k gold to spend on items with the restriction of only 1 rare item.

I'm a 5th level deep stalker ranger (the UA one). What should i get? I'm thinking just a +2 weapon and some other random gear so I can sharpshooter literally every shot and still have a +7 to hit.
>>
>>53229074
>What are your elves like?

Physically strong, sleek and can't swim because of higher bone density than humans.

They make the perfect melee combatant thanks to their better coordination.

As for other races:

>Orcs are good archers thanks to their enhanced strength.

>Dwarves and other small folk are all sneaky fucks with almost no gender dimorphism.

>Goliaths are the best long distance runners and often work as curiers.

>Dragonborn are often great metalworkers relying on their breath.

>Tieflings are often merchants, spies, prostitutes but most often they enter the service of temples as clergy or servants to rid their offspring of their cursed bloodline.
>>
File: 1494731702643.jpg (259KB, 800x1422px) Image search: [Google]
1494731702643.jpg
259KB, 800x1422px
>>53229074
>>
File: dead-elf.jpg (51KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
dead-elf.jpg
51KB, 700x394px
>>53229074
all dead, lousy treehuggers
>>
File: Outer Spheres Paladin 1.jpg (611KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Outer Spheres Paladin 1.jpg
611KB, 800x1132px
Looking for (mechanical) review, this Paladin subclass, Oath of the Outer Dark: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ

The (placeholder) is likely to be a CR 3 flightless mount similar in theme to the leucrotta (Volo's) with a berserk button that activates if you try to charm or frighten it.

>>53229100

>>53229104
>Strength drain

Probably a little, yeah. As a kill condition anything small or dexterous is going to be really high-risk here, and against big scary things every 1d4 is a significant cut to the threat it presents.

Luck of the roll matters a lot. Against something with 12 strength, three hits at maximum means the shadow can solo that thing while the rest of the party focuses elsewhere. Six hits - average - is long enough that there isn't really a point.

But if it's only got 5 strength, or on the other hand it's got 24 strength and that's the most relevant part of its whole statblock, it's potentially very powerful.

+4 to hit is on the bad side, at least. Do not buff that number.

>the Shadows it creates
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: elves only have one gender.jpg (188KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
elves only have one gender.jpg
188KB, 650x450px
>>53229074
>>
>>53229216
You'd want conjure aberration.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 400x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 400x900px
>>53229074
Due to their fey heritage, my elves are defined by the extremes of any given emotion they feel, making them the most naturally chaotic race. Diplomats from other races on ventures to strike up trade deals must be very silver-tongued and walk a very fine line trying to stay in the good graces of the fickle Elven Lords, Elven lands are rarely visited by most other travellers in the best interest their safety.
Elves are the most easily susceptible race to hysteria / madness.

Also, question to the 5 people who've played beast ranger, you ever gotten your companion awakened?
>>
File: voyageur.jpg (87KB, 367x550px) Image search: [Google]
voyageur.jpg
87KB, 367x550px
>>53229074
They're all French-Canadian voyageurs. They hang out in the woods, hunt beavers and moose, and sail around on giant canoes.
>>
>>53229310
There's a bunch of solid CR 5 monstrosities, and not so much for aberrations. They're not unrelated, anyway. Aberrations are the Moon Presence, but monstrosities are what happens when kitty gets into the Old Blood. The level 15 placeholder is gonna be a monstrosity.
>>
>>53229074
They lost a war against the humans in the last hundred years, and to them it feels like it just happened, though many of the humans are too young to remember it distinctly. The elf city is fractured - ostensibly calm and civil, but underneath there's a bloodless civil war going on between those who wish to resume the fight with the humans, to take back the terms of surrender they offered, and those who wish to put it in the past and move on.
>>
File: Druid Riding T-Rex.jpg (29KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Druid Riding T-Rex.jpg
29KB, 480x800px
How do you DM for Moon Druid characters?
>>
Starting a new game with free feats at lvl 1.

So far i've made a Half-Elf Stone sorcerrer with following stats:

>16 Str
>10 Dex
>16 Con
>10 Int
>10 Wis
>13 Cha

What feat should i grab?
>>
>>53229409
War Caster maybe?
>>
>>53229387
I use a kind of demonic blight that inflicts permanent Wisdom drain along with a houserule that at Wis 10 you can't shapeshift (I have a similar houserule for most classes, like at Str 10 you can't use Extra Attack and at Cha 10 you don't have the bargaining power to keep your Pact bonus). It's a "high story" world where murderhobo and munchkin are discouraged painfully though. Our moon druid originally thought he'd be so tough...they are level 7 now and not so much with his Wisdom 9! He's learning a lot about archery though, especially the ROLEPLAYING aspects of tutelage since you can't just multiclass whatever OP net build you want in my game...
>>
>>53229387
They get vored and the creature runs away.
>>
>>53229415
>permanent stat drains are common
>characters get WORSE as they adventure
why?
>>
>>53229427
When all characters are shit, everybody's equal.
Sounds like "no fun allowed: the campaign" to me.
>>
>>53229412
Only if i go Sword and Board.

I intend to use a Greatsword or Greatclub for flavour.
>>
>>53229454
GWMaster.
>>
>>53229415
That just sounds awful. Congrats you leveled up! You survived the terrors and horrors that adventuring life has thrown your way! You can now..... have 1d8+con hit points, because I have stripped you of everything else!

You want to take away a power for bit for narrative reasons? Sure. You better have a damn good reason, and give it back ASAP. Permanent stat drain that removes class features? You went full retarded.
>>
>>53229503
Implying an all commoner campaign isn't the best campaign.
>>
>taking obvious bait this hard
>>
>>53229104
I Wouldn't allow it. A headache on your part since in your encounter calculations you have to constantly make preparations for the shadow on top of the existing players. And knowing how players are, he's going to use that thing every chance he gets, can't fault them for that.

Ger rid of it, or better yet, have the thing plot its own escape from all the power its been consuming, break from its seal, and turn on the players for an impromptu boss battle.
>>
>>53229409
Alert is good for anyone
>>
What would be a good base for a campaign that allows for player-oriented sandbox play? Something that would have a central base and a few dungeons.
Basically, are there any adventures like Keep on the Borderlands?
>>
>>53229387
Hope they restrain themselves out of combat. During combat, whatever, they're not that much better than the others after some levels
>>
File: IMG_0916.png (107KB, 1113x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0916.png
107KB, 1113x612px
Alright guys I made this weapon this morning with an anons help what do you all think?
>>
>>53230373
>This thiqq longsword's reach is unmatched, it was created during the worldNOAPOSTROPHEs worst disaster.

What do these ideas have to do with each other? Why are they in the same sentence?

>grappled

No escape DC

>Actual effect

"This mundane +2 longsword does Extra Damage for no reason." ---> into the trash it goes. Don't add bonuses you don't need.

>Calamity's Grip

It's not terrible, except for the missing escape DC.

>90 foot pull

This part is bad.

>90 foot charge

This part is still kind of bad, but it's not AS bad.

>auto-restrained on-hit on a hard saving throw for the targets you'll pick

No, stick to grappled.
>>
>>53229427
I'm tired of all the fucking numale walking-simulator-trained betas talking about D&D, one of the last actual bastions of being a MAN if only in your head, like it's fucking softball for kids. I literally caught two guys in the store joking about short rests - a core game mechanic made into a jest because you can heal too much honestly made me want to kill myself. D&D isn't real, but it can FEEL realistic, and part of that is in how it handled grit and damage.

You might know a powerful spell as a wizard - might, if you can find one - but your body is not magical. Adventure isn't fucking fairytales, it's grit and rage and wear and tear. If you kill a demon in my games, YOU EARNED IT. That's something no one I know of can claim. I know it's not popular on these boards not to coddle your players into retardation but I could never stand it anyway. Maybe his next moon druid will be more cautious with her boasts...
>>
Are difficulty checks relative to who's taking the check or is it just standard?

Would hitting an apple off someone's head with a bow have the same DC for a low DEX PC as a high DEX PC or would you make it more difficult for the one who's not used to using bows?
>>
>>53230373
Calamity's End is very powerful. More importantly, Calamity's Press should use the wording that grapple+restrain monsters use. It still grapples, and the victim is restrained while they are grappled. Look it up. Crabs, toads, t-rex, octopus maybe.
>>
>>53230517
I think the idea is that the task has a set difficulty but higher DEX stats simply increase your chance of passing the DC
>>
>>53230489
I feel sorry for your players
>>
>>53230489
>I literally caught two guys in the store joking about short rests - a core game mechanic made into a jest because you can heal too much
Short rests aren't the issue. DM's not doing enough encounters is
>>
EN5IDERanon here, finally updating my stuff again.

Here are all of the EN5IDER issues, with 17 new ones added: https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
>>
>>53230373
Do you have a pdf of all the other weapons you've made?
>>
>>53230489
This has to be pasta because damn dude you need to grow the fuck up and chill the fuck out otherwise
>>
>>53229104
It should be fine. The shadow would be a major boon in a fight against a single solitary enemy that relies on it's strength score and nothing else, but there aren't any fights like that anyways. Most fights I'm in involve groups of enemies and groups of ranged enemies where the shadow's low HP and single attack per round aren't a big deal.
>>53229542
>muh precision encounter calculamalations
This guy probably doesn't even play the game.
>>
>>53230864
Thank you!
>>
File: 1486650928281.jpg (868KB, 1280x765px) Image search: [Google]
1486650928281.jpg
868KB, 1280x765px
>>53230489
While I respect your passion in testing ones ability in critical analysis, risk management, and identity awareness, we can't forget that at the end of the day that it's still a game. If that degree of attrition is fun to your players, that's great! Just don't forget to let loose once in awhile.
>>
>>53229415
die
>>
>>53230437
>Wording on the description.
It's a placeholder and will be fixed, but I will fix the grammar.

>No escape DC
Ah, I almost forgot about that! I'll fix that real quick.

>Extra Damage
It's thiqq and does more damage because of it.

>90 foot pull this is bad
Explain, this sounds quite fun to me, great battlefield control, keeping targets grounded if they try to flee or fly away, and it serves as a grappling hook when dealing with items.

>90-foot charge
The only thing I think is bad is due to it being an attack action it does provoke attack of opportunity I think?

>Auto Restrain
It's not auto restrained it requires a save, but I am willing to lower the DC to make it a little more manageable by some creatures. DC:17 Exalted sound good?

>Stick to grappled
If I dropped the DC can we keep the restrained? I really enjoy the disadvantage on Dex saves and attack advantages for allies and yourself.

>>53230521
>Calamity's End is very powerful
Yes, yes it is and its suppose to be. Characters may be like level 16+ when anyone may ever get to the exalted forms and it's not as easy as just leveling up and suddenly getting it, I require RP or a side quest of some form so I feel the reward should be worth it.

>Fix Calamity's Press wording
On it, also do you think restrained is too much? I based it off of a Kraken's tentacle for inspiration.

>>53230910
>Do you have a PDF of all the weapons.
I'm gonna make a Homebrewery page and PDF when I finish all 10 of them. So far we are at 5 weapons completed. Even then when they are all finished, I want to go through them one more time to make sure they are interesting, balanced and worth while.

Thank's anons!
>>
Has anyone run any sort of jousting in their games before? Trying to come up with some mechanics for it.
>>
>>53231048
No problem. I'm happy to share!

I do wish the guy running the 5eg mega would add these; I've sent them to him with no avail.
>>
>>53230489
>D&D
>one of the last actual bastions of being a MAN if only in your head

Holy fuck my sides.

If you're a man you don't need some fucking bastion unless it's from other men trying to kill you.

Whatever you're doing right now anon, stop. Stop and go pick up something heavy. Then do it again.

Keep doing that until your testosterone levels are publicly acceptable and you feel better.

"Numales" and sjw's aren't ruining the world for men or stripping you of your masculinity. It's your bitching and self-centered attitude. You're clipping your balls on your own.

That said, I agree with you. GMs need to stop holding their players up and let them stand on their own. Coddling anyone past the age of four does nothing for them.
>>
>>53231403
Anon, what are you doing? Your advice is actually sound and your formatting is readable. You're not supposed to help him, you're supposed to relentlessly and condescendingly mock him until he feels even worse about himself, while at the same time validating his shitty worldview.
>>
>>53231330
Doesn't 3.5 have jousting mechanics? Steal those
>>
Looking through the new UA, forgive me if I;m wrong, but by RaW it looks as if a college of swords bard can't use two-weapon fighting with blade flourish.

This seems like a mistake
>>
>>53231505
They can't and it's intentional apparently.
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/05/03/ua-college-of-swords-has-blade-flourish-written-as-a-specific-action/
>>
My High Elves are an insular group that, due to losing a war of aggression with the races of Men, have no homeland to call their own. Over the last 200 years they've started trying to merge into other countries, since the continental community will stamp out any attempt for them to create a new country, but for the most part they live in Little Italy-like sections of other countries, all while trying out multiple ways to create a new homeland, be it on land, air or sea.
>>
>>53229517
If they start as an All-Commoner campaign, sure. But reducing the effectiveness of a straight up PC to that of a commoner and expect him to keep up with the rest of the group? That can fuck right off.
>>
>>53231546
Then why the fuck is two-weapon fighting an option for college of swords bards?

Once you hit level 6, there is never any reason to use two-weapon fighting instead of blade flourish, which makes dueling flat superior
>>
>>53231489
Wouldn't know, I only ever played AD&D and 5e. I'll have a look.
>>
>>53231590
I don't know I didn't make the subclass.
Most nice DMs would rule that you can two weapon fight with it so it should be okay 90% of the time.

Also if the surveys are still up you can complain to them and they may fix that part. I did and hope my words can make a difference.
>>
>>53229415
Are your players really having fun with this?
>>
How is Way of the Shadow Monk?

Seems kind of ass because its abilities are so dependent on low light
>>
>>53231856
It's cool, but it should get something like the warlock's devil sight so it can use darkness more effectively
>>
>>53231244
>why is a 90 foot pull bad
Spike Traps. Wall of Anything. Ledges.

You may note that forced movement in 5E, while not uncommon, is pretty limited - the most powerful it gets is a level 17 warlock who hits all her attacks. There is a reason for this.

Right now, your sword will probably end any encounter with any interesting terrain conditions or any enterprising casters more or less immediately, no save, you just have to hit ever.

The 90 foot teleport charge should absolutely provoke attacks of opportunity from everything, but the bigger issue is that it's a 90 foot teleport. At-will. Again, all you have to do is hit.

>can we keep the restrained?

Sure, if you bump it to once per short rest or something. One sword should not be character-defining, it should be a nice compliment. Something really great 5E did was aggressively cut the balls off magic weapons so that once again you were not just a walking pile of bling. A level 20 fighter does not lose a melee to a level 20 wizard if the wizard gets gold for magic items and the fighter does not, which was the case in 3.5.

This sword is doing too many things too well and all whenever you like. It's almost a class by itself. Having this on your person is like being gestalt.
>>
Does this make sense/work as a basic jousting mechanic? I knocked it up in a few minutes.

>The representative clambers aboard a horse and is handed a lance. They roll Animal Handling and an attack roll (strength - Lance). The opponent does the same.
>Either side, upon inspecting their rolls, can choose to play a "defensive tilt", where they have no opportunity to unseat their opponent, but may reroll their Animal Handling.
>Their Animal Handling roll is the DC on their being struck by the opponent. Their attack roll is their attempt to overcome the opponent's strike DC.

One of several things will happen:
>If both sides pass the DC, the one with the higher attack roll scores a point on the other.
>If neither side passes the DC (or they play defensive tilts), they ride past each other without striking.
>If only one side passes the DC, and has a higher attack roll than the other, they unseat their opponent and automatically win.
>If only one side passes the DC, but has a lower attack roll than the other, they score a point against them.

After three tilts, the jouster with the most points wins, if no-one has been unseated.

Additional mechanics:
>Damaging/affecting the opponent without being detected causes them to have disadvantage on the Animal Handling check.
>Persuading/charming the audience members to throw favour to the party representative gives them advantage on the attack roll.
>Other spells and similar apply as normal. If the party are detected (like throwing a firebolt at the enemy) the tilt will be discounted and the PC responsible will be detained.
>>
>>53231403
Why the fuck did you agree with me? I was posting bait and farmed a satisfactory number of (You)s, but I was only edging, and this finished me off.

Oh god, you fucking retard.

>>53231482
He helped me to a speedy gasm, and he validated something much worse than my worldview.
>>
>>53231590
Because the person doing the rules clarification is not the person writing the subclass and the person writing the subclass is probably like "fuuuuck I wish I could tell everyone we're gonna fix that," but you won't see the college again for at least six months and the only developers with direct lines open are Mearls and Crawford, if Mearls isn't dead, I haven't heard anything about him in a while.
>>
File: Demon_Toad.jpg (383KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Demon_Toad.jpg
383KB, 1600x1200px
So I'm in the middle of reading Volos guide to monsters and then came across the Froghemoth, and when reading about giant frogs and giant toads in the monster manual, I realize that both of them do not have tongue attacks. If I were to transplant the Froghemoth's tongue attack to the giant frog and a giant toad, how would you adjudicate that with a DC and such, and how high of a CR would that be?
>>
>>53230489
I'm 90% sure it's just bait but the possibility of some retard playing D&D for gritty "realistic" adventuring is hilarious. You want deformities and weird shit happening to players? Dungeon Crawl Classics. You want hopeless, poweless PCs that are adventurers out of desperation? The original D&D is a thousand times better.
>>
I DM'd the first time a player cast Conjure Animals to summon up to 8 creatures which gave me a migraine. I had no idea how it worked so he wanted 8 wolves which meant Advantage rolls on all attacks plus chance on Prone on a giant.

Is there anyway of making it easier on all of us instead of dragging everything out completely without saying "never use this spell ever again"
>>
>>53229415
>>53230489
So let me get this straight, this game is about FEELING like a tough man, even if you're a bitchboi irl, but if anyone ACTS like a tough man you make them a bitchboi ingame too? Not to mention its sad that you derive your masculinity from a game of pretend arbitrated by a randomizing factor.
>>
>>53229074
there's no elves in my settings, fuck elves, remove elves.
>>
Is Catapult+Acid vial a viable combo?
>>
Don't mind me. Just the best class in 5e coming through.
>>
>>53231907

>Why 90 foot pull is bad

Not only do you have to hit but there is a Strength saving throw they have to fail and then they have to use another attack action in order to get affected by any of the conditions including getting pulled. Unless it's an object in which you just have to hit it & use your second attack action to pull it.
Also to get someone pulled off a ledge you have to be falling off a ledge as well cause the target can only be pulled towards you not away from you. I'm cool with the occasional wall spell or traps getting jumped over. Some wall spells can box people in so they can't really do anything even with the range, as they have to be able to strike a location out of the box and ground traps can be ignored by a lot of different options this just adds one to the pile. It's basically a hookshot from Zelda in those circumstances. I feel like this is okay.

>Drop it to once per short rest or something

Don't want to limit the weapons main feature I would sooner drop it to grapple than do that...

Does anyone else think that restraint is too much? I'd feel more comfortable dropping it to grapple if more people thought it was too much.

>The sword does too many things.
I enjoy the versatility granted by this weapon, and it requires extra attack actions to make work really well so I can live with the options granted by it.
>>
>>53232311
>WoW icon

kek
>>
>>53229074
Most perished in a self-inflicted arcane cataclysm, but most of the world's population is functionally half-elven thanks to the ones that survived and elvish blood being rather strong in the gene pool.

Elves were on the tall, willowy and pale end of elvish depiction, with the unpleasant cruel/arrogant/mercurial personality triad, which lead in no small part to their domination of the world and subsequent obliteration.

Basically, I like my elves predatory and mean, but I like the world's population being Hylian more.
>>
>>53232045
It makes no sense for a wolf to knock a massive giant prone. So arbitrate that.

If you wanted you could also houserule that five or more conjured creatures of CR 1/2 or lower make one attack roll (with advantage) as a group and deal like half or 75% of their combined damage.
>>
>>53230373
these are all fucking awful, holy fuck, just stop.

stop fucking slapping absolute battle improvements in everything you make. why does it need +1d8, +2 to hit/dmg and how the fuck is a sword grappling/restraining anyone? there's also no escape DC for the grapple/restrain.

i really think you should just stop and take a minute to see how magic weapons are used in the game. very few do even half this shit does from the start, and only the absolute bests do about half or less than this shit does when complete. if your idea is to make ridiculously overpowered crap, then there's no way anyone can help you, because this shit destroy completely the balance of the game. you must be playing a super ultra high power campaign and no one else can really tell you shit about it because we know shit about it.
>>
>>53232311
>2 spell slots until level 11
>shit "regain spells on short rests" gimmick that gets broken by invocations that require you long rests to regain the spells they grant
>all while the Whizzurds have arcane recovery
lmaoing at your life, the only thing you got going for yourselves is RP interactions with your patron and GOO with that Gaze of Wallhack invocation.
>>
File: lightninglure.jpg (58KB, 394x294px) Image search: [Google]
lightninglure.jpg
58KB, 394x294px
>>53232319
>Not only do you have to hit but there is a Strength saving throw they have to fail and then they have to use another attack action in order to get affected by any of the conditions including getting pulled. Unless it's an object in which you just have to hit it & use your second attack action to pull it.
here is why it's bad: pic related, an at-will pull
>>
>>53232013
>You want deformities and weird shit happening to players? Dungeon Crawl Classics.
And even then, you still get pretty crazy powerful to make all the deformities worth it.
>>
>>53231992
it would only change the CR by one at most, the damage and DC can be determined by their CR and STR Mod, CR gives you their proficiency so DC is always 8+Prof+Mod and damage depends on the size of the mob, the tables should be on the DMG.
>>
>>53232353
The knocking down part, i was arguing that "but that just doesn't work" but my head was already overloading on rules + keeping a flow in the combat so a 10min fight didn't take 40min
>>
File: Lurker.jpg (12KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
Lurker.jpg
12KB, 250x210px
>>53231992
I actually had the same issue when my party fought a giant toad.

I made the tongue attack a 15 foot line, DC 13 DEX save for the giant toad. If you make the save, anybody else in the line behind you then has to make it until it reaches its range or there's nobody left in range.

If you fail the save, you're moved to 5ft in front of the Toad and it makes a bite attack against you with advantage.

If you fail the save with a Nat 1, it moves you to 5ft in front of it, makes a bite attack on which it can treat the roll as a nat 20, and can make a swallow action as a bonus action on its turn.

The tongue attack recharges at the start of the frog's turn on a 5 or a 6, similar to dragon breath.

I'd guess for the Froghemoth you can simply increase the range and the Save DC as you see fit.
>>
If you were making an octopus-like PC race, what benefits should the extra arms give? I'm thinking of one one with two main arms and other, smaller ones that would only be able to use Light weapons, if any, and its lack of a skeleton would mean it would be incapable of wearing heavy armor. Any thoughts on this rough first idea?
>>
File: 1492099546595.jpg (63KB, 640x738px) Image search: [Google]
1492099546595.jpg
63KB, 640x738px
>>53232387
Theorycraft all you want, champ. Short resting is no gimmick. My at-will invocation and eldritch blast cover my low level spells and damage needs, and all these tasty level 3 spells and rituals I can cast all day long carve my position as the best class, not to mention all the roleplay potential, wizardcuck.
>>
>>53232319
yeah I gotta go with the flow here. Too stronk by a factor of 3 or so.

The sword really can't have more than like...half this stuff, and way toned down.

Grapple/restrain should be once per short rest. You're not getting around that. I don't care what the DC is set to, you can't grapple at range targeting Strength more often than once per short rest.

Pull to/from should be no more than 30 feet at all levels and instantly end the grapple, reclaiming your sword (and making it also part of the cooldown). Ditch the bonus slashing damage, your bonus is your jump-pull. Prone can be a save when pulled or when you pull yourself.

That would be a very cool, very powerful weapon that you will never regret or feel bored with and that is totally worth being called legendary (and your attunement slot).

What you've got is psychotic. I'd to be honest send you to Homebrew School or something if you pulled up with this at my game
>>
>>53232464

Why the recharge? Is it that powerful of an ability? I guess a swamp full of these things using tongue attacks is pretty abusive...
>>
>>53232478
>muh rituals
Wizards have more, and wizards have more spellslots, especially for high level spells. I love warlocks flavour-wise and adored 3,5 binders, but mechanically they're pretty meh, get over it.
>>
File: tumblr_ocq1lw2Uoc1th6mw1o1_1280.jpg (104KB, 640x465px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocq1lw2Uoc1th6mw1o1_1280.jpg
104KB, 640x465px
>>53232466
there's a baketako thing in dandwiki, it's probably unplayably bad but can give you some ideas.
never make someone incapable of something in 5e, at best, make some feature incompatible with another thing, like fly speed in aaracokras being incompatible with heavy armor, but not aaracokras in general being so. thri-kreen PC races in antiquity gave you the option to hold extra stuff, but not always, not necessarily, use them for attacks. i don't think extra limbs should grant you extra attacks, maybe just give you an extra off-hand attack for your TWF bonus action, not adding your Mod to it, or maybe just a tentacle unarmed melee attack that grapples on hit...
>>
>>53230373
If your goal was to make overpowered garbage you achieved it.

>>53232505
I'm planning some special weapons in my campaign way down the line and was trying to think of ways to make them stand out but not be overpowered. Would advantage against certain kinds of enemy types too much or is that not much? They'll all have varying amounts of limited uses so them relying on it won't be too much of an issue.
>>
>>53232509
I only gave it a recharge due to my party being low level and would probably be low on spells by that point in the dungeon, which was a correct assumption. Feel free to eschew it if you want to make it more dangerous.
>>
>>53232521
They're just not full casters. They're flipped Arcane Tricksters, magic first, archery second.
>>
File: 1488981134381.png (482KB, 672x537px) Image search: [Google]
1488981134381.png
482KB, 672x537px
>>53232521
>Wizards have more
That is wrong. Warlocks have hands down access to the most rituals.
>wizards have more spellslots
You can think that, but it's apples and oranges. Warlocks have the potential to surpass a wizards spells per day for whatever level they have, easypeasily.

Only armchair rollplayers think wizards are better than warlocks.
>>
So I've been kinda lurking around D&D for years now, but never felt compelled enough to go to a store with some random strangers to play and most my friends viewed it as something extremely boring.

However, with D&D finding its way into popular media again (shows like Stranger Things and Community have episodes where they play D&D), some of my friends, to my suprise, showed incredible enthousiasm towards the game. Enough that they gave me the Starter Set and told me they want to play with me, since they knew I wanted to do that for a while now.

However, I'm afraid that their information about the game only stems from those pop culture references and I'm not sure how to properly explain to them what I expect without them losing interest. A good friend of mine wants to take it seriously as well and wants to try and DM. He's actually prepping already for a while now. The three others just want to meme and joke around constantly I feel, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

In short: any tips how to convey my expectations to my friends without them losing interest in playing? One of them already stated that reading ~10 pages (basic rules in the starter set) was way too much work and he just wants to have fun. I agree that we just need to have fun, but I also feel like not having a basic grasp of the basic rules will severely limit that.
Any thoughts?
>>
So why did they think the rest system was a good idea? It takes way too long, destroys dramatic pacing, and the HP recovery from hit dice feels like it should be an always thing. All it does now is screw over short rest classes when they easily just could have made them encounter powers.
>>
>>53232603
Nigga your never gonna get more than one short rest a day. Maaaaaybe w tops
>>
>>53232558
Honestly I feel like advantage lives in this terrible little crawlspace, hiding its specialness away from all the million things that want to grant it. Every source of advantage devalues every other source.

I have a houserule that stacked advantages and disadvantages start adding +1/-1s because you're usually not stacking too many sources of it, personally.

But it's probably not overpowered but it is boring. Something like it cancels any immunities fiends have to being frightened and lets you frighten them once in a while, or you know the surface thoughts of anything with telepathy that's close to you, or it causes radiant damage whenever undead attack you and miss.
>>
>>53232628
2 tops*
>>
>>53232628
Nigga pls, I play with a fighter and a monk. We short rest three times a day while we're dungeon-crawling. I can sneak in even more if we're just dicking around a village.
>>
>>53232605
Just make short rests 15 minutes

Alternatively, allow short rests to occur while walking
>>
>>53229216
>Oath of the Outer Dark
this is bad, the oath features make no sense at all. nothing ever gives you higher leveled spells slots than you could, very few feature modify existing spells and no class feature ever assumes you'll have or use a specific spell, pact of the chain's improve familiar invocation is NOT a base warlock feature, but a choice instead.

I'd say you scrap that entire thing and start from scratch, maybe actually using Oaths as reference.
>>
>>53232605
encounter powers made no sense, flavor-wise, but it is true that short rests take way too fucking long.
>>
>>53232604
Don't explain what you expect. Let them read the game, and then run it the way it's written. Let them find out what kind of players they are.

Do not immediately gut the heart of their enthusiasm by saying "it's nothing like <reason you want to try it>."

Community is a great example of D&D. Stranger Things is a terrible one, but Stranger Things is also about dumbass adventurers trying to do the right thing as a show so it works out.

Don't convey. Definitely do ask them to read the starter set player's thing, though, tell them it'd be like going to Disneyland but you can't see half the rides so you end up walking around eating a lot of popcorn feeling disappointed.
>>
>>53232393
>>53232505
>>53232558
Alright, the majority has spoken, I still want it to have these options but I will turn them down to once per short rest each for balance sake.
>>
File: straid.jpg (52KB, 519x390px) Image search: [Google]
straid.jpg
52KB, 519x390px
>>53232603
>>53232670
>Warlocks have the potential to surpass a wizards spells per day
>We short rest three times a day while we're dungeon-crawling.
>2 spell slots
>three short rests
>6 spell slots
>meanwhile, a level 8 wizard has 12 spell slots PLUS arcane recovery
I dunno man sounds kinda feeble.
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (992KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
992KB, 250x250px
>>53232603
>he actually believes this.
>>
>>53232654
So basically have them do something, but not have them be stupid.
>>
>>53232739
>12 spell slots
And how many of those are shitty little first and second level spells? 2 fourth level spells and only three third levels? Wizards sure are inefficient. Why don't you go off and cast mage armor somewhere, chief
>>
At what level of persuasive ability does a Bard's gift for supernatural levels of persuasion become, effectively, akin to a Charm spell?

I'm trying to figure out if a situation I'm dealing with is rape or not and if I need to kill someone over it, so serious answers would be nice.
>>
>>53232795
>grease
>shitty
>>
File: 1491888562197.png (92KB, 503x257px) Image search: [Google]
1491888562197.png
92KB, 503x257px
>>53232772
>I can't come up with an argument, so I'll post a reaction gif
>That'll show him!
>>
>>53232795
>spells known
>15
ha ha ha, yeah no.
>>
>>53232795
>cast your bread and butter hex spell
>suddenly realise you only have one (1) spell slot left until the next short rest
Wew lad sure showed me.
>>
>>53229216
>>53229542
Neither of you seem to have taken into consideration that A: the new shadow is only made if the Shadow itself kills the NON-EVIL HUMANOID target, specifically by dropping its str to zero. Enemies are usually not gonna fit that NON-EVIL bill, and any humanoid with str low enough for this to even be a concern are going to have hp low enough that your fighter will just one shot them. The shadow will not one shot them in this specific way that makes a new shadow. It is almost totally irrelevant unless you purposefully allow it to happen.

If the players do purposefully allow it to happen, The new shade isn't bound by whatever item binds the current one, and at some point in the next four hours they just have a radnom ass encounter with a single monster that has a whopping 12 ac and 16 hp. Better hope the cleric doesn't notice it sneaking up with that gigantic wisdom score; it would be a shame if he just instagibbed it with a cantrip, given that radiant vulnerability. Or, it could wait around till you fight something else, then ambush, but it still risks the cleric noticing it with his gigantic wisdom score, and once it attacks THE SAME FUCKING THING HAPPENS.
>>
>>53232816
are you upset?
>>
>>53232795
I dunno, there's never any reason to cast shield as anything above 1st level unless you're out of 1st level slots and desperately need shield.

Also, don't forget arcane recovery
>>
>>53232714

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm not even sure myself how it's gonna be since I'm new myself. Will not force my expectations on them.

Do you have any tips for our first get together? I was discussing with our upcoming DM about having us explore our (prewritten) characters and their interactions a bit. Not and try to make it too epic on the first go, maybe have some stuff happen inside the inn, like some drunken brawling or whatever.

I'm looking forward to playing so much, but we will have to wait at least a week before we all have time. It's killing me. I'm thinking of using the time to create a character myself or help the upcoming DM get some inspiration/ideas to quench my thirst.
>>
>>53232823
>Not realizing that you never have to cast it more than once a day since it stays active at higher levels for so long.
Do you choose not to read, or did you just never learn how?
>>
>>53229137
>le backwards is better meme
>>
>>53232842
Not upset. Just disappointed.
>>
File: Gokusteppingoutofaspaceship.jpg (34KB, 224x498px) Image search: [Google]
Gokusteppingoutofaspaceship.jpg
34KB, 224x498px
>>53229074
My Elves have all retreated into the Feywild following the Hengenyokai uprising and the Orc conquering where they're kickin' it with the Eladrin and Gnomes.

I do have question for /5eg/: how bad are monks? I've come to understand they've got a bit of MAD but I kinda want to play a Saiyan in an upcoming game and was just wondering if I am going to be utterly useless?
>>
>>53232795
tell me, are you learning 15 spells of 5th level?
if not then have fun wasting all your spell slot levels in shit that doesn't scale or scales incredibly poorly.

shield on it's own is a 1st level spells that is miles better than anything a warlock gets that a wizard don't.

And wizards get wish, and simulacrum for that matter. you sad, sad, retard.
>>
>>53232885
because you sound pretty upset...
>>
>>53232889
they are the second best version of monks DnD has had, that being said, way of the four elements is trash, stay away from it.
>>
>>53232889
Monks have the lowest damage output of any full martial class

They aren't useless, stunning strike is fantastic, but you can not be a big damage dealer

Also d8 hit dice hurts a lot

Also also you can't be a saiyan since strength will always be a monk dump-stat
>>
>>53231403

SJWs are a cancer and are literally trying to ruin the world for men. Don't be a fag.
>>
>>53232867
The spell ends if you have noone to re-curse after the initial target is dead.
>>
File: 1482099635119.jpg (384KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482099635119.jpg
384KB, 1600x900px
>>53232923
Yea i was gonna (probably stupidly) go with Sun Soul and try to get my DM to give me flight as (part of maybe) its last feature.
>>
>>53232808

I'd very much appreciate an answer to this, it's relevant to today's game session and an NPC's life hangs in the balance.
>>
>>53229104
I had an oathbreaker variant homebrew that created shadow minions once upon a time, but I eventually realized that a better solution would just be the spell Spirit Guardians with necrotic damage. It creates whirling minions that can be fluffed as shadows, and you don't have to worry about the complication of keeping track of strength drain.
>>
>>53232965
sun soul is good, just remember monk is a mobile fighter, they can't sit and trade blows for long.
>>
File: Ash Knight 2 by conorburkeart.jpg (851KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Ash Knight 2 by conorburkeart.jpg
851KB, 800x1132px
>>53229216
Shitty recolor/10
>>
>>53232954
Not according to errata. It stays up, the original accursed just has to be dead for you to tag it on someone new.
>>
>>53233023
>the original accursed just has to be dead for you to tag it on someone new.
>"you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature."
It specifically mentions the subsequent turn that comes after the target dies, and to curse a new creature you definitely gotta have it in your line of sight.
>>
>>53233063
I thought he was just being assblasted, but you really can't read. Is it contagious or something?
>>
>>53229104
Just make it unable to create any new shadows.
>>
>>53233063
>If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends. You can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

It never states that the spell stops working if the original target dies and there's no one around. As long as the turn that you place the curse on a new target comes after the death of the old target, you can tag it on someone new as long as the duration hasn't passed.
>>
File: readniggaread.jpg (50KB, 372x387px) Image search: [Google]
readniggaread.jpg
50KB, 372x387px
>>53233063
>>
File: 1312697479079.png (374KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
1312697479079.png
374KB, 488x500px
>>53232946
Ok, so it's just like I thought. I am okay with all of this.
>>
>>53233209
I have read it. It never says the subsequent turn has to come immediately after the death of the previous target. Do you understand that subsequent does not mean immediately?
>>
>>53232808
>At what level of persuasive ability does a Bard's gift for supernatural levels of persuasion become, effectively, akin to a Charm spell?
Never
Charm person and high persuasion are completely different things. One is altering someones mind and making them like you, the other is being really good with words and body language to make people more inclined to do something you want.
>>
>>53232604
They might not need to read the rules. The game is very simple, you can tutor them when the situations come up. Ask them what kind of character they want and give them premade characters.

If the GM is okay with it, 'silly' games might not be too bad. Especially if you gradually let it become more serious.

(I generally find that players, even those who seem drawn to the silly side of the hobby, take the game at least somewhat serious when you start playing. Probably because they like fantasy movies / games etc.).
>>
>>53233063
>The subsequent turn
vs
>A subsequent turn
Two different things, buddy.
>>
>>53233259
I was talking to the retard saying it has to be the next turn not you.
>>
>>53232889
>I do have question for /5eg/: how bad are monks? I've come to understand they've got a bit of MAD but I kinda want to play a Saiyan in an upcoming game and was just wondering if I am going to be utterly useless?

Monks rely on Dex and Wis for their AC and have the lowest damage output of all martials.

D8 Hp die fucks them over to the point of being frailer than Rogues who can actually invest into CON unlike them.

But they still get to go fast and stunlock people.

And if you want to play a sayn character then play a Aasimar Sun Soul monk.
>>
File: 1443994305539.jpg (166KB, 736x963px) Image search: [Google]
1443994305539.jpg
166KB, 736x963px
I've never played a Paladin before and I'll be playing one soon. I've heard Vengeance Paladins are supposedly the most damaging and the meme "best Paladins", but...I'm just not seeing it. What makes them good? By contrast, Devotion Paladins can straight-up get a ten-round weapon buff and eventually damage all enemies just by being around them.
>>
>>53233335
avenging angel is a strong capstone, in any case, ancients is the best paladin because magic damage resistance is godlike and undying sentinel+elder champion makes you pretty much indestructible.
>>
>>53233401
Avenging angel is a stronger capstone, but relentless avenger is shit.*
>>
>>53233273

Good tips. Problem is I'm really new myself and hardly know the rules. But just having fun with it and goofing around at first is probably the best introduction we can get. Again, thanks for the input anons. Greatly appreciated.
>>
>>53233335
Better spells for damage, amazing capstone
>>
>>53233335
The real best damage option is Oathbreaker.
>>
File: human mayor.png (486KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
human mayor.png
486KB, 426x426px
so hey /5eg/, i've been making some really simple token pictures for npcs and such. what do you think?
>>
File: human bandit.png (389KB, 427x428px) Image search: [Google]
human bandit.png
389KB, 427x428px
>>53233476
they're basic as fuck, but i mean... they do the job, you know?
>>
File: retard bandit token.png (391KB, 427x429px) Image search: [Google]
retard bandit token.png
391KB, 427x429px
>>53233502
oh, and then i found this. i think it's my favorite.
>>
File: Magic Chained Sword Version 4.png (107KB, 1157x692px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Chained Sword Version 4.png
107KB, 1157x692px
>>53230373
Update:
>Added the Escape DC
>Lowered the Grapple DC & Escape DC
>Lowered the extra slashing damage to 1d8.
>Changed Restrained to Grappled for Calamity Grasp/Press
>Made the non-grapple abilities short rest abilities.

The only reason I did not make the ranged grapple a short rest ability was because after using it, it pretty much becomes a dwarven thrower with more range and that's no fun. If you guys think this is still too much do you all think if I limited it to four times per short rest that way you can use it for each ability once it won't be so bad?

>>53232378
Sorry anon, I missed this comment. It's supposed to be stronger than the other items in the book as it scales throughout the game. Is this update still too much? I used the dwarven thrower as an example as it is a +3 item that deals an extra 1d8(2d8 to giants) damage as well and that item is very rare. Also, the grapple happens from the chain it pierces through the target and wraps around them.

Every anon who has been commenting on this with criticisms and concerns thank you so much and keep them coming.
>>
File: IMG_8978.png (675KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8978.png
675KB, 1041x1066px
>>53232187
>>
>>53233522
Lol
>>
File: big beardy man.png (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
big beardy man.png
55KB, 300x300px
>>53233476
That border is way, WAY too thick.
>>
File: GJu3JFK.jpg (140KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GJu3JFK.jpg
140KB, 1024x768px
What does /5eg/ think of Al-Qadim?
>>
>>53233424
>>53233465

How? Oh no, you can fly and you gain advantage against enemies until they take damage. Meanwhile a Paladin of the Ancients is regenerating, inflicting disadvantage versus all of his magic on every nearby enemy, and can cast spells as a bonus action

>better spells for damage

Hold Monster is decent, but a Paladin really isn't a combat spellcaster and Paladins of the Ancients are the best Paladins for spell use.
>>
>>53233953

Very European.
>>
>>53234017
kek
>>
>>53233838
He looks like he writes comic books
>>
>>53232692
>>53229216

is it wrong that reading someone else's angry review is the only thing that ever motivates me to read the thing in the first place?

i had the exact opposite reaction as you. it makes sense as a starlight/summoning theme, which is exactly what i expect from GOO stuff, and the channel divinity is fine, it's once/long rest and limited to ten spells, none of which break the game by being cast in a higher slot. when you get fifth level slots you can summon a CR 6 montrosity. real casters had CR 6 fey for a while though. your big bonus is you get one "safe" spell but you're already a paladin so breaking your con is not exactly the easiest trick in the world.

pact of the chain gives you an invisible shapeshifting troll imp. this doesn't even let you attack with your thing. in fact it doesn't even HAVE an attack apparently which means it probably isn't CR 2 but whatever.

also there are like a bunch of class features that assume you'll use specific spells wtf are you talking about? oathbreaker paladins and necromancy wizards both have specific features aimed at animate dead, warlocks have a TON of stuff for eldritch blast, clerics have stuff aimed at healing etc.

this is just doing the same thing chain does anyway, adding a familiar choice, and later a steed choice which any good dm is gonna add anyway because it's depressing having a steed that dies every combat to a random aoe

>pact of the chain's improve familiar invocation is NOT a base warlock feature, but a choice instead.

so is this though?

no i think this is pretty good, only thing is i think you might as well give the mount flight too. it's fucking level 15 CR 3 is pointless. start with CR 5. maybe look at dragons idk. there's no point in upgrading from warhorse if it's not actually an upgrade.

this is totally in line with existing good oaths like vengeance and treachery. ancients is still the best lategame but this has those two's front-loaded design, which is fine IMHO.
>>
>>53234143
>>53232692

oh i forgot arcane tricksters. mage hand: the subclass lmao.

and everybody modifies existing spells too! sorcerers, every wizard school, every caster that has +damage to cantrips (which is honestly probably more impactful than once/day you get a single spell at +1 level except it's off a list where that barely does anything)...

idk i don't really like GOO stuff but this is fine mechanically. i think it would be better if they went with the singing thing and made it like a bardadin though. thunder damage instead of radiant. i feel like we need more classes that do music everybody's always doing something with GOO
>>
File: 946.jpg (48KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
946.jpg
48KB, 700x520px
>>53233401
Local paladin is fucking invincible?
>>
>>53233009
Hi! Yeah it's not meant to be great, but the original artwork is pretty great, so I just adjusted the color and the lighting. I tried to do that blended watercolor thing from that one guide but it did not work very well. I'm gonna try just grabbing a Homebrewery screenshot and scrubbing it around the edges in a thin border and hope that does the trick.
>>
So have any of you ever play a character with a ranged weapon or a heavy weapon and not taken sharpshooter or GWM? Not including rogues
>>
>>53232889
Monks are very restricted in how they can be built.
If you're not careful, you can easily make yourself ineffective.

If you roll for stats and get good stats (but fuck rolling for stats) you'll be a lot more powerful. If you roll for stats and get bad stats you will be hilariously, stupidly bad. In fact, it's so bad that if you roll suitably low stats, you actually get an AC LOWER than 10 and you can't do jack shit about it without multiclassing/getting feats for armour/having disadvantage on all physical checks and then you lose some of your monk abilities.

Generally they work well with the mobile feat so that they can keep themselves safe after attacking, +wis or +dex and using all their ki on stunning strike, though monk archetypes mix things up a bit (Sun soul allows you to do your pathetic damage at range instead for saftey but not stunning strikes, long death gives you an AoE fear and some survivability abilities, kensai is just 'let's have a monk that does fighter damage instead!', tranquility is double-lay-on-hands and sanctuary, shadow monk is stealth extraordinaire, open hand has nice later abilities but level 3 is just an alternative to stunning strike, WOT4E is utter dogshit)

Just don't neglect your stats and don't fool yourself into thinking you're a meatshield and you'll be fine.
>>
>>53234380
Yeah a Light Cleric Wood Elf with a Longbow, DM let me swap potent casting for divine strike.
>>
>>53234380
I'm playing a ranger (not human) and I took dex and defense style. I like to keep my options open.
>>
>>53234001
He's talking about Hunter's Mark, having fifty options for always being next to the person you want to kill, never missing, and getting extra attacks of opportunity.

Vengeance is not instantly obvious but it is indeed the killiest paladin.

Except Oathbreakers, but then you need a lot of zombies, and you have a problem with fighting zombies and fiends because the person who wrote the subclass was autistic and brought back A) hard alignment and B) forgetting simple sanity language like ALLIED fiends and undead. Unwillingly buffing enemies is retarded.

Treachery's good too, lots of advantage and you get a sick smite.
>>
>>53234400
>>53232889
Oh and what they excel at is literally 'Stunning the same target over and over and over again no matter how many legendary resistances they try to use'.
Nobody can match them attempting to stun the same target 4/5 times in the same round or in running in, punching and running away again without a load of bonus actions and hastes and shit.
>>
File: thug bandit 3.png (97KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
thug bandit 3.png
97KB, 300x300px
>>53233476
As >>53233838 says, the border is ridiculously thick. To each his own, but holy fuck man.
>>
>>53234429
>>53233335

Another way to think about it is, the average value of advantage (+5) is like the ideal situation for Devotion (20 Charisma, GLHF rushing that) except that 20 Charisma on Sacred Weapon doesn't double your chances to crit from 5% to 10% on a class that has a selective damage boost they can save FOR crits.
>>
>>53234001
Hunter's Mark and Haste

Haste is especially effective on Paladins thanks to the bonus damage they get on every attack after level 11
>>
>rogue doesn't do anything in combat in favor of looting the KOd town guards the baddies KOd before the party gets there
>makes a large order of grog for the party and doesn't contribute towards the payment
>I'm just doing rogue stuff, man
Granted he could tell I wasn't liking it and he'll be changing his character but boy that was really annoying, like a malicious Kender.
>>
File: 1494182227980.jpg (8KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
1494182227980.jpg
8KB, 230x219px
Is Polymorph any good outside of turning your fighter into something ridiculous like a T-Rex?

I just want to use it to turn into a raven as a method of transportation but the fact it alters your intelligence to that of a raven makes it seem useless in that regard.
>>
>>53234708
Use the extra HP to survive long falls off cliffs.
>>
>>53234708
I would suggest a familiar instead. Polymorph is good for squishes and transforming the enemy into a harmless form if you're willing to risk it.
>>
>>53234728
If I can cast polymorph I can cast Fly or Levitate at that point.
>>
What's a fun multiclass for Barbarian?
>>
>>53234708
Polymorph enemies into something harmless to take them out of combat for a minute.
>>
GMs do you correct your players when they make wrong assumptions?

My party finished the arc that has been unfolding for a year tonight, it could have ended months ago but they missinterpreted the information and thought that the bbeg was the good guy.
Bbeg despised his old religion because "they just sat in their citys, sacreficing people", they interpreted it as that he didnt sacrefice people, it ment that he thought the old religion was to passive. I bit my tounge and the bbeg sent them to kill innocents
>>
>>53233476
I generally just use chess tokens.
>>
>>53234774
That actually sounds like an amazing game story in the making.
>>
>>53234708
Sounds like you want to be a Ravenlock.
>>
>>53234491

Plus access to the Hunter's Mark spell and, although Sacred Weapon has a few advantages against groups rather than against a single enemy, that Soul of Vengeance at level 15 is fantastic.

The best thing about Vengeance Paladins, really, is the fact that their oath explicitly goes "fuck the Baby Orc problem, exterminate the greenskins."
>>
>>53229100
"Are you guys fucking INSANE? Look around, there's dozens of royal guards! They're the cream of the crop, you gotta have 15 years of fighting experience AT LEAST and have 3 war decorations just to be considered to this job! ~opens dimension door~ Fuck this shit, I'm outta here. Anyone else coming?"

>>53229104
The new shadow is cancerous. I'd remove this first.

>>53229216
>it loses the magic resistance trait
fucking NO

>>53229343
This guy knows his shit.
Do you make australian Drow as well?

>>53229415
Ebin

>>53232604
I tried to introduce stranger memesters to d&d, it was awful. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

>>53232605
There's an alternative 5min/1hour rest system in the DMG. You can just do it whatever way it fits your group as well.

>>53233063
Illiterate nigger

>>53233335
Vow of Enmity for advantage is fucking rad. The oath spells are great as well.

>>53234657
>execute him
>I'm just doing paladin stuff, man

>>53234774
Surely they didn't base their entire quest on a single bbeg quote? Throw more hints, dialogue with other people, different points of view.
>>
>>53234769
Can't go wrong with Rogue and Fighter for that Conan feel.
>>
>>53234380
Played a Barbarian/Tempest Cleric multi with a glaive. Didn't even have PAM.
>>
>>53234847
If you are intrested I could type out some of the more intresting bits
>>
>>53234774
>citys
>sacreficing

Jesus, are you retarded or did you come here from some other site?
>>
File: 1397936963821.jpg (6KB, 175x193px) Image search: [Google]
1397936963821.jpg
6KB, 175x193px
>>53234932
Yes please.
>>
Can a Ranger take Homosexuals as a favored enemy?
>>
>>53234894
They asked him if he used blood sacrefices and he replied that he didnt use blood of the innocents, they were suspicius of him then but no one bothered to push the matter
>>
>>53234972
Yes, you can have elves for favored enemy.

>>53234976
Welp, they seem kinda dumb. Too bad for them I guess.
>>
>>53234894
>execute him
I'm the DM so that wasn't an option yet but like I said, he'll be playing something else.
I mean you're able to do that stuff as a rogue but he wasn't doing it for the party, and when the frog came in there was a thing where he wasn't even trying to pay for it.
>>
File: 1422567696456[1].png (31KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1422567696456[1].png
31KB, 510x546px
>>53234891
>>53234576
>>53234491

The one problem I have with Vengeance Paladins is that I instinctively start playing them like Space Marines, complete with my best Captain Diomedes voice. I don't know why.
>>
>>53230517

No, the DC should be standardized. The character's skill is reflected in their stats and proficiency. A commoner with 10 dex has a 50/50 shot of hitting a DC 11 target. Someone who is used to using bows (i.e., is proficient in them) and has a 16 DEX has a 75% chance of hitting the same target.

tl;dr, you don't alter DCs based on who's making the check; you allow their relative bonuses to determine whether they succeed or not. If you feel they have a particular advantage for an unusual reason, give them Advantage.
>>
>>53234001
it's an AoE fear, dragons know why it is good, also creatures running away proc opportunity attacks for which you can then instantly follow with you fly speed and pummel them with advantage for improved crit chance.

and on top of that, haste, hunter's mark, shit like PAM and Tunnel Fighter/Sentinel makes you a heatseeking guided missile of kill.

I did say here >>53233401 that Ancients is better though, just not at killing, which Avenger is much more optimized for.
>>
>>53235072

Okay, I'm sold.
>>
Has anyone had any experience with a rival party gang? The party in my game declined a quest they thought were too shady for them so i thought of the idea that some characters the party knows would do the quest instead and get the reward. To me it sounded like a fun idea but could be something on a "DM vs Players" thing? Not sure
>>
>>53229074
Can anyone get me a discord link please?
>>
>>53235372
Here you go anon.

https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>53235383
Thank you very much.
>>
>>53235353
>Rival Party Gang
Hmm... my big bad travel's around with a small group of 3 others and are pretty much the complete opposite of the party. Does that count as a rival gang?
>>
>>53235435
I suppose that counts as a rival gang! The gang i had in mind would just be friendly rivals with no intentions of ruining things for the main party
>>
>>53235451
Hmm.. I'd do that if I ran multiple games with different people. Party's meet up and do some special task.
>>
Way of the Kensei seems cool, is it any good?
>>
>>53235477
Gotcha, but what about just NPC's doing that to the players? From my point of view, its just a result of them turning down the task in the first place
>>
>>53234143
>>53234299

>it makes sense as a starlight/summoning theme, which is exactly what i expect from GOO stuff
Yet GOOlock has absolutely no summoning feature, nor spell for that matter?
>warlocks have a TON of stuff for eldritch blast
this are all optional class subfeatures, not main subclass features
>clerics have stuff aimed at healing
healing is any healing, not a particular healing spell for a class feature.
>oathbreaker paladins and necromancy wizards both have specific features aimed at animate dead
this is true, i had forgotten about it.
But the rest is like taking archery fighting style for a ranged build or a feat for a specific weapon, not main or subclass feature really tells you can only do all this stuff with this specific weapon or spell. they say shit like, add your mod to your fire damage, chose one weapon and it becomes your X or Y, etc.
>this is just doing the same thing chain does anyway
but chain is not a subclass, it's an optional class sub specialization.

>this is totally in line with existing good oaths
>idk i don't really like GOO stuff but this is fine

it doesn't feel like a paladin oath at all and is pretty underpowered, it's just a mismatch of non-combat summoning gimmicks. the aura effect isn't even on your paladin but your mount that can just die and you are left with jackshit. also it doesn't even give you find steed as a oath spell, so it literally has a feature that does nothing if you don't prepare it. at least necromancy always gives you raise dead as a spell if you don't have it.
mechanically.
the entire theme is garbage and does nothing to represent a GOO paladin, just check the GOO lock spell selection, it should give you a clear idea of what the outer gods are about, mind fucking effects and domination, not about conjuring and summons.

http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/06/keeper-of-elder-sign.html
>mfov
they have no concept of balance but at least this thing makes more sense than that homebrew.
>>
if you're trying to cast a spell without someone noticing you using the Verbal and Somatic components of the spell, what check would you have them make: Stealth or Deception?

Or is it specific for each, like have them roll Stealth (or maybe Sleight of Hand) for the Somatic, and then Deception for the Verbal?
>>
>>53234308
as it should be.
>>
>players order something in game
>given price, they agree to it
>it is delivered to them, they try to get a price lower than it is on the invoice
>can't we negotiate for something lower
Alternatively
>they deliver something to be paid on delivery
>demand higher price for risk to body and life
>customer has the receipt, won't pay any more
>you're not letting me use my skills

Am I being unfair? These both happened while I was DMing but the price was already given and agreed on, it was pst the negotiation time. If it was haggling with a street merchant I'd go with it but otherwise I can't really cotton to it. No intention on making them seem whiny.
>>
>>53234970
The more I typed the more I realised that it is shit, but here are some bare bones.

The basic backstory is that the BBeG, a Yuan-ti malison, gathered a following and left Chult when he found a new, more proactive god than Sseth. As the new god is more of a powerfull fiend than a real god they set out to resanctefy temples in her name, and thereby increasing her power.

(After beliving him the good guy) The next time they met the BBeG he told them that a temple dedicated to Sune had been infiltrated by doppelgangers. They went to the temple and ended up killing every single one inside. When they came back out they met 2 pureblood with the corpse of a doppelganger which they said had esacped. They accepted this and went on their merry way. (there had been opportunities to check the corpse, insight on both the BBeG and the purebloods as well as hints that they were being decived)
>>
>>53235523
That probably works as well and sounds fun especially if the NPCs are close friends with the PCs. I have yet to do it as my party is kinda busy, with a moving bad guy and their friends dying every day.
>>
File: 1485671018338.jpg (495KB, 1305x1265px) Image search: [Google]
1485671018338.jpg
495KB, 1305x1265px
>wizard polymorphs me every combat
>never get to play my actual class
>>
File: 52354.jpg (158KB, 1024x712px) Image search: [Google]
52354.jpg
158KB, 1024x712px
How do you guys do first session hooks? How do you make it so the party has and wants to stay together and not just wander off?
Also any hook ideas will be extremelly appreciated.
>>
>>53235666
Tell em to stop, or become unwilling and beat the saving throw.
>>
>>53235666
Whats your class? Also just ask him to stop like a normal person, dude.
>>
>>53235666
Have you considered actually bothering to make your saving throw?
>>
>>53235666
Well Beelzebub if you're playing a cute girl then maybe Baal is just using you for his transformation fetish. After all, we all know DINOSAURS, the best options for Polymorph, are lies planted by devils like you.
>>
Is there any way for an undead to hide itself from a Paladin's senses?
>>
>>53235583
Are you in plain sight or blending in with a crowd of people? I'd say it'd be impossible to hide verbal if you're being directly watched, and somatic components would require a higher sleight of hand DC depending on the cast time, because you only need one hand and you could possibly blend the motions into every day body language.

>Most spells require the chanting of mystic words. The words themselves aren’t the source of the spell’s power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion.
Trying to weave verbal components into a conversation would sound like you had tourette syndrome. I wouldn't allow it unless it was something like suggestion.
>>
What are good allies for Spectators guarding something? Would they be annoyed from assistance by inferior-shaped animated armors? Or should they be beholder-shaped armors?
>>
What are some fun/overpowered/stupid multiclasses that work mechanically but require some signifigant jumping through hoops to justify in character?
>>
Is Hexblade+Pact of the Blade the best gish? Or does missing out on a Fighting Style like an Eldritch Knight would get make it inferior?
>>
>>53235777
https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/nystuls-magic-aura
>>
>>53235795
Just fluff that the spectator itself is directly controlling the armors via an effect similar to Animate Objects, so they wouldn't see the armors as anything but tools they use.
>>
>>53235853
What's a good beholder voice? Skeletor?
>>
>>53235617
Haggling after the fact is a thing. It's quite rude, but common enough to consider it normal.

>Waiter, there's a fly in my soup.
>>
>>53235617
Consider what role skills have in your games and how you reward proficiency in them, as they are a way to express and develop a character and should add to their usefulness. Some will let charisma skills make most things cheaper, like it is in some crpgs, while others will use them to avoid combat, and others yet will just use it to affect unimportant npcs. Tell the player how they are right and you'll try to remember from now on, or that you don't treat skills that way and they should try to use the skill for x or y instead, depending on your style.
>>
>>53232947
You might want to take your panties out of your asshole anon, your voice is starting to squeak.
>>
>How to Paladin Homebrew for the Mentally Challenged

>3rd level
Oath Spells, in theme and flavor.
Channel Divinity including one Pseudo-Turn ability and one single-target/self combat related ability.

>7th level
Aura effect unless you are crown or vengeance, definitely consider an aura first. Effect is always-on regardless and combat applicable.

>15th level
Always-on situational protection, retaliatory and/or defensive effect in general.

>20th level
Once per long rest, usually action to activate, lasts either 1 minute or 1 hour, depending on overall power. Transformation with improved offensive and/or defensive features and/or an AoE damage/control effect.

Out of every Class, Paladin Oaths should be the easier to get down because how defined their features are, yet people seem to get them wrong all the time.
>>
Is there any way to get around having Sunlight Weakness on a character? I have it on mine because of half Vampirism due to a botched rescue from a vampire castle, then a botched curse cleansing ritual directly afterwards. Now my character is half-vampire, which i'm alright with, but he now gets disadvantage when casting spells at targets in direct sunlight. Aside from spells that don't need to hit, is there anything I can do to lessen that effect? I considered the spell darkness because my character can now see through darkness, magical or otherwise, but it would also disadvantage the rest of the party heavily to force them to fight in darkness, and it would be unfair to ask them to only come out at night as well, though that is probably my current best idea.
>>
>>53236208
Most kobold players seem to deal with it by wearing sunglasses.
>>
>>53236208
Wear a hood.
>>
>>53236208
If the gm does weather, the sun is probably not always out in outside encounters (IIRC it is only direct sunlight).
RP your character to highly dislike sunlight so that (assuming the party wants him to stay with them) the party shifts to do more dungeoneering, indoors fighting, and less travelling at night.
Get spells that don't have attack rolls, sunlight sensitivity is bad on martials that don't have devil's sight/darkness combo but for any kind of magical character except warlock, other spells are generally more numerous and effective.
>>
>>53236162
Other published exception to these guidelines, Redemption's Capstone is always-on, Treachery's 15th is 1/short rest, Ancient's 15th is 1/long rest, Redemption's not-turn is not really combat applicable but i guess that's fine given their flavor and Treachery doesn't have a pseudo-turn.

So this should give an idea of how far can you drift from each given feature.
>>
>>53236334
So a grand total of 7 exceptions of these feature guidelines out of the 32 features granted by published oaths, or about one exception per oath being generous.
>>
>>53235494

It's okay, but not super. But as written, it makes for two alternate playstyles for monks. But first, the mediocre way:

Other than a negligible number of monks who ever reach level 17, nearly all monks deal 1d8+DEX damage per hit with their regular Attack attacks (spear/quarterstaff). Kensei upgrades this to up to 2d6 damage, for another 2.5 damage per hit, or 5 per round. Their Pummel attack adds 5 damage (2d4) per round as well, for a total increase of 10 damage, BUT the Kensei can't use their Martial Arts attack (note that Kensei weapons are not Monk weapons), so you lose 1d6/8+DEX damage (or about 7 damage). So you only net about 3 damage per round ahead of a standard monk.

If you make use of the unarmed attack for +2 AC feature, your damage drops another ~3 damage, so you come out even with a standard monk - but +2 AC on a standard monk would be great, so that's nice.

But all of this comes at the opportunity cost of the features of any other archetype. All these features just to break even.

HOWEVER, as written, nothing here says you can't use ranged weapons as Kensei weapons. So you can do a Longbow monk with this while you couldn't before. Actually, you could make a solid Crossbow Expert monk, because at level 11 its damage would be upgraded to 1d8. It'd be harder to make use of the +2 AC feature, but if you ended up in melee, why not? Technically nothing stops you from using the Pummel feature either, even though it's kind of odd conceptually.

Finally, Kensei is a fantastic way to take a 1-level Fighter dip, or play as a Mountain Dwarf. The monk features that require you to be armorless are Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts, and Unarmored Movement. A Fighter or Mountain Dwarf uses the Path of the Kensei Feature instead of Martial Arts, so as long as you're okay sacrificing Unarmored Movement (which, as an armor-wearer, you can afford to, since you don't have to pump Wisdom and can invest in Con), you're good to go.
>>
Why the hell are there so many people trying to find groups to play Curse of Strahd?

Does it show up on lfgs a lot because it's bad and people keep dropping out, or because it's good and people want to keep playing it?
>>
>>53236249
>>53236268
I think i'll get both some sunglasses and a very wide-brimmed hat, just in case.
>>53236309
This is actually an excellent idea, thank you, i'll have to just get control weather at some point and have the clouds follow me around.
>>
>>53236522
It's good and people want to play it. It's one of the best adventures out for 5e.
>>
>>53236162
I'd love to see things like this for all the classes.
>>
Just hit level 8 on a Devotion Paladin.
Should I bump CHA to 18 for the aura and spellcasting benefits, or get Inspiring Leader? I feel a very strong case could be made for both options, even above getting STR to 20 considering what you get out of each thing.

Party composition is Battlemaster, Thief Rogue, Druid, Bard and Wizard, although our Wizard is fucking allergic to non-damage spells.
People usually look at me during interaction with NPCs and I'm a fan of bolstering people in combat when appropiate (plus the occasional nagging), so there's that for flavor. What do?
>>
File: Tranor Revised.png (1003KB, 767x578px) Image search: [Google]
Tranor Revised.png
1003KB, 767x578px
Question. Is this a compelling map for a game? I've got a game that's going to start next college semester, and I want to see if this is good enough to draw anyone in. It's my second pass at it, after some revisions last time.
>>
>>53236867

If they're map snobs, then absolutely not.

If they're not map snobs, then the map itself doesn't draw you into a game; the description of what you'll be doing will draw them in.
>>
>>53236867
Why would you use two sizes of hexes at the same time? What is the purpose of this map?
It looks good and can be a fine reference, tho. Where did you make it?
>>
>>53235646
Are your players a bunch of idiots?
>>
>>53235910
low CHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBeodX2j8E

High CHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tCHVysyUs
>>
>>53236804
Go for the 18 CHA, since you've got a pretty large party, and the Aura boost and stuff should be much more useful than +1 damage or Inspiring Leader.
>>
>>53236937
I made it to draw out a concept of the gameworld I made, so I'm glad it serves that purpose. I made it at Inkarnate, a map making site.

>>53236905
Then I think I'm set. I made a good setting, I think, kind of mixing standard fantasy and magitek. I have a few different starting points, depending on whether they want high or low magitek involvement, and none of them have been around long enough to become map snobs or anything like that.
>>
>>53236512
>Choose two types of weapons to be your kensei weapons: one melee weapon and one ranged weapon. Each of these weapons can be any simple or martial weapon that lacks the heavy and special properties.The longbow is also a valid choice. You gain proficiency with these weapons if you don’t already have it. Weapons of the chosen types are monk weapons for you.
>>
File: 1494569368314.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1494569368314.gif
2MB, 460x259px
Thinkin' bout buffin' Monks.

>Give Monk Fighter ASIs
or
>Give Monk d10 Hit Die
or
>All of the above

Which is least likely to fuck balance?
>>
What should my next dwarf character be /5eg/
>>
>>53237214
give it d10 , barely changes a thing
>>
My friends really like Lovecraft stuff, in fact they wanted to try D&D after we played a ton of Eldritch Horror on Tabletop Simulator.

Is there any lovecraft stuff for 5e? I'm dm'ing for them and I wanted to try and squeeze a bit of cthulu in somewhere.
>>
>>53237272
You could reflavor rise of tiamat, probably wouldn't fix it sucking though
>>
>>53237272
There are some things, but in all honesty, DnD is not the system you should be looking for.

There is literally a system called Call of Cthulu built for Eldritch style stories.
>>
>>53236695
I could try but don't expect much out of it, specially for classes i don't care much about.

which would you like to see.
>>
What's the Princes of Apocalypse adventure about? I'm thinking of running either this or Storm King's Thunder.
>>
>>53237110

My bad, I was reading the old version instead of the Revised Subclasses one.

Still, the only real difference is whether you can use the Martial Arts bonus action attack, but can use a d10 Versatile weapon at best, which kind of washes out.
>>
Hey anons so in my game I'm having the party go up against this dude who's henchman are undead but each one is empowered by one of the stages of grief(shock,denial,bargaining,depression,anger,acceptance). I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for bargaining and depression. Like Shock was this orc that could just keep regenarting but preferred just letting party exhaust themselves, denial was a mindflayer thought the dude that rez'd him was the elder brain
>>
>>53237351
A paladin who failed their god but still wants into valhalla so they must die honorably in battle
>>
>>53237214

>give monk d10 hit die

One more HP per level doesn't change things THAT much, anon. And a few more ASIs doesn't really solve the problem that they don't have the damage output of other martial classes even WITH max'd deterity.
>>
>>53237342
As I recall it's about some kind of prime elemental evil threat stirring up trouble for the planes and the book also has statblocks for the four princes of elemental evil.
>>
>>53237272
>>53237291
Refluffed Curse of Strahd could work, or anything Shadowfell related really. Aberations and monstrosities out the wazoo.
>>
>>53237295

Yeah I'm aware there are better systems, but right now we're doing a D&D campaign and I just wanted to maybe throw in just a little bit, perhaps a few encounters with some spooky cthulu dudes.
>>
>>53237368
Yeah I'm considering adding both of them since Monk is so MAD it kinda needs it imo.
>>
>>53237382
I was thinking rise of tiamat because the dragons could be replaced with minor demons and taimat could be replaced by cathuulu but aberrations could be really spooky
>>
>>53237272
How much prepwork do you want to do?
>>
File: 1488685872933.jpg (126KB, 604x516px) Image search: [Google]
1488685872933.jpg
126KB, 604x516px
Can you throw several javelins with extra attack?
>>
>>53237382
That actually does not sound bad. Got my gears grinding on what you replace Strahd with though. Maybe Death Tyrant, because Alhoons aren't quite on his level and Illithiliches are above it.

I feel like even as an aberration it should still be an undead one for some reason. That might be clinging to the source too much.
>>
File: 1482149618694.pdf (908KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1482149618694.pdf
908KB, 1x1px
>>53237272
There are madness rules. And look at attached ;).
>>
File: 1482149506496.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1482149506496.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53237272
>>53237477
More looking at attached.
>>
>>53237477
>>53237499

Cool, this looks really neat.

Thanks my dude.
>>
>>53237466
So long as you have one in hand, you can throw it. So if you're a Fighter 11 and you've got two in hand already, you can chuck three in a turn.

But since weapon draw is only 1/turn, you can only throw one on subsequent turns (unless you have Dual Wielder feat).
>>
>>53237351
Bargaining guy is just a dude that pays others off to prolong the inveitably of death?
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 525x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 525x316px
What's the best way to go revised ranger these days?
>>
>>53237345
Yeah the rezt of what you said was valid. I just wanted to correct that one bit because it does help, even if not by a large margin.
>>
>>53229125
how about you play to have fun and make a story driven character rather than being a min/maxed fuck tard
>>
>>53237272
Try with adapting any mind flayer campaign from past sessions, there's the monstrous arcana trilogy and something like thoughts of darkness.
also in general anything full with other aberrations, check the book of aberrations for inspiration and volo's has some 5e stuff for beholders and mind flayers, the MM/tome of beasts can also help you aboleth/kuo-toa/chuul stuff that might suit your fancy.

think madness rules, interacting with alien technology rules, ancient underwater cities, cultists worshipping an undead aberration, brought back to life by arcane rituals or outright out of this world delves into massively ancient citadels down in the heart of the earth. rats in the walls and at the mountains of madness have taken me far.
>>
>>53237521
Has anyone ever had a DM follow this rule when people are throwing weapons or TWF?
>>
>>53237642
No. No one ever has.
>>
>>53237642
Yes. Everyone ever has.
>>
>>53237642
Me.
>>
File: Lovecraft Update.pdf (742KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft Update.pdf
742KB, 1x1px
>>53237499
>>53237477
I didn't had these ones, nice.

>>53237513
check this one too.
>>
>>53237642
Maybe. Some people ever have.
>>
>>53237476
Keep Strahd the same at least statblock wise and either reskin him or make up a spooky occult reason for his vamparism. Vampires can be really monsterous and spooky if you really lay down the macabre.
>>
>>53237544
All of them work. Beast conclave might be a bit useless at times.
>>
What about a bundle of javelins that split in the air for area damage?
>>
>>53237767
WHat about it anon?
>>
>>53237767
That's called Conjure Barrage/ Conjure Volley.
>>
>>53237786
Just putting it out there for the javelin conversation.
>>53237808
No, they're thrown as a bundle.
>>
>>53237767
I think that requires ranger magic
>>
>>53237814
Without magic that makes no actual sense. So no, I would not let a player do that.
>>
>High Elf Champion Sword n' Board Critfisher
(After Racials, Point Buy)- 14, 16, 15, 10, 10, 9
>Dueling or Defense style
>Rapier, Medium Armor, Shield
>Elven Accuracy at 4
>Shield Master at 6
>Brawny at 8

Seem decent? Feel like it's a bit ASI starved, but I'm hoping keeping shit Prone 24/7 will make up for that.
>>
>>53237836
You tie a bundle of javelins together with a rope that has a knot that falls apart when it's pulled on, hurl it, and tug on the rope to undo the knot, causing the bundle to fall apart and disperse in the air before hitting the target area.
>>
>>53237875
Wouldn't it be better to pick Shield Master on 4, then EA on 6?

Otherwise I dunno how you'll abuse to advantage before 6.
>>
>>53237904
shit u rite nigga.

in either case the game will likely start around 6 anyways, but I'd better plan for it at 1 just to be safe.
>>
>>53237886
Your mechanism would fuck with trying to throw the javelin with lethal intent, so no.
>>
How often do players check modules for spoilers? I'm after group to run LMoP with but this crossed my mind. Should I be worried?
>>
>>53237875
I'd say commit to a STR build, since your shove checks aren't gonna be that great. Take Dueling and longsword, lay into fuckers as you push them.
>>
>>53237924
>starting a game at 1
>absolutely plebian
>>
>>53237979
I suppose I could dump DEX and go Heavy Armor/STR, feels like the +2 DEX from Elf is going to waste then.

Plus I wouldn't have an ASI to get STR to 17 until 12.
>>
>>53237934
I could think of other things, right now the mechanism isn't the most important part.
>>53237951
I dunno but that's pretty dicked. I've gotten a PDF of HotDQ when my group was running it so I could get those sweet guard drake statblocks before Volo's came out, and it end d up coming in handy when the DM's laptop wasn't working.
>>
>>53237886
trying to throw a bundle of javelins accurately or strong enough to make damage on one target, let alone several is quite the fucking feat.

you'd probably have to train for your entire life and even then, that's not how rigid body mechanics work. you don't throw a javelin into the air and wait to it to fall down with the strength of gravity, you jab it straight into your target to maximize the stability and force of the shot. drag, air resistance and center of mass would fuck your bundle of javelins into a mildly annoying drizzle of sticks.
>>
>>53237476
I just had the idea of having them be a band of mercenaries hired to investigate a town where a lot of people have been going missing. The find out cultists have been kidnapping them and indoctrinating, or sacrificing them. They eventually raid their shrine to interupt the dark rituals within and the cultist flee through a portal to the astral plane. The astral plane has yawning portals to other worlds, storms of thoughts trying to pry into your mind and displace you, and dying and/or forgoten gods.
>>
>>53237951
i have all of the pdfs but try to not check them out with the intent of spoiling myself, reading shit out of context with my awful memory is never an issue, that said i obviously end up having an overall knowledge of the setting and plot, either do to skimming for some stat block/enemy reference or from online forums and shit.

unless you are actively looking up the traps and shit, there's nothing to spoil out of reading the book. most stories are evident and don't carry too many plot twists, and half of the shit in the book will never make an appearance on your table, as your party will always run stuff differently and your dm will adapt stuff on the run, as the book probably suggests it.

also, those walkthrough comics, they are too good and your run will never be that fun. pic related, this thing might've spoiled the entire thing for me, but have been playing it up so differently it doesn't even matter.
>>
File: 1365902342782.png (55KB, 455x451px) Image search: [Google]
1365902342782.png
55KB, 455x451px
Can polymorph be used to turn someone into a fish and suffocate them? I know they're supposed to turn back to normal upon being reduced to 0 hp, but the suffocating rules in the PHB say that once they hit 0 hp they start rolling death saving throws.
>>
>>53238090
they just get to 0hp and unpolymorph back into a breathing creature with more than 0 hp so they wouldn't need to roll saving throws any more, same as with using healing words on a PC doing saving throws, you just get back up, no need to stabilize, no nothing.
>>
>>53229125
Kobold Barbarian with 6 Strength, wearing a Belt of Hill-Giant Strength.
>>
>>53237544
I'm a big fan of Beast, since mathmatically it adds a lot of extra offence and HP bulk to the party. Wolf is pretty much the only good option though.
>>
>>53237351
This sounds fucking retarded and contrived.
>>
>>53238209
one day i shall do this.
>>
Do I have to pick a archetype right away or could I wait for a later time?
>>
>>53238090
Polymorph + Disintigrate works, as they "Turn to dust" applies before "Turn back into native form."
>>
>>53238264
Depends on the class but you should probably have an idea where you want your character to go both mechanically and story-wise
>>
>>53238255
Remember to REEEE autistically if anyone ever so much as looks at your belt with their grabby eyes.
>>
>>53237996
The mechanism is the ONLY important part. You have to chuck that shit HARD, and the extra mass won't be helping either.
Honestly just play a ranger.
>>
>>53238316
>Honestly just play a ranger.
this.
>>
What would be the most basic-tier unoriginal generic party imaginable?

Obviously it needs to include a Drizzt clone and a CN "I'm just playing my alignment" rogue. What else?
>>
>>53238393
fighter, thief, cleric, magic-user, go.
>>
>>53238393
Lawful/Neutral Good Fighter/Paladin that actually wants to be a good guy and go along with the story but is played by a fairly passive player.

Wizard that believes he's above the party's bullshit
>>
>>53238393
Sword and board human fighter, a wizard that thinks they're hot shit, and maybe a heal slut cleric.
>>
>>53237951
I do admit, I have skimmed campaigns but usually to check what magical items we expect to get, since our GM's are a bit of sticklers when it comes to "No, it says you get a +2 Legendary Necrotic Greatsword, I don't care that the Paladin is using Sword-and-Board with Duelist and the Fighter is a Polearm Master, and the Barbarian is a Tavern-Brawler grappling build".

For example "Mhm lets see, oh cool we get a Staff-of-Ice at some point, I was thinking of rolling a Blue-Dragon Sorcerer but Silver-Dragon Sorcerer themed around ice-spells will be fun too."

Or "Mhm, Human War cleric using a crossbow every now and then but looks like we can get an Oath-bow this campaign, looks sweet, An Elven Cleric with a longbow is a cooler concept anyway."

I'd agree that it is a bit shit and cheating but we've been burned before, the GM did let the Barbarian swap feat to GWM but lost a lot of the characters flavour since he never grappled anything again.
>>
new thread when?
>>
>>53237391
>perhaps a few encounters with some spooky cthulu dudes
This is definitely possible, you can get some of the creatures and world in anything really. It's only if you want the feeling, the dispair, the cosmic horror and so on, that D&D will be entirely unfit.
>>
>>53238393
Our party has a Half-Drow Elf Bard from the surface who is a good aligned folk hero using a scimitar and a Black cat familiar.

He is travelling to the underdark to find out more about his mysterious race and possibly discover the identity of his father.

Whenever anyone meets him, they always talk about Drizzt and groan and grumble, the Bard has no idea who this "Drizzle" fellow is and does not know why people keep bringing him up. It's a simple joke but we get chuckles out of it, and are pretty sure that the Elfs father is going to end up being Drizzt.
>>
>>53238681
I love the character. If he really is Drizzt's child I will both hate and love that.
>>
>>53238600
When the thread hits page 9.
>>
>>53238681
Drizzt has fucked exactly TWO women and neither became pregnant
>>
>>53237995
Alternatively, you could go half-elf and still have access to EA. Put the +1s in STR and CON to be a better frontliner.

But if you're 100% dedicated to Wood Elf, then your initial build is acceptable.
>>
File: Fotolia_29515587_XS_0.jpg (24KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Fotolia_29515587_XS_0.jpg
24KB, 300x400px
What if this but it's for magical items.
>>
>>53238765
It's almost as if a campaign doesn't need to be completely faithful to established canon.
>>
>>53238840
Get out
>>
>>53237995
Go Half-Elf, Pick up charisma skills so you're not useless outside of combat.

I'm weighing up the same thing going either Wood-Elf or Half-Elf Barbarian for those 3d20 reckless attacks.
>>
>>53239002
I like wood elf barbarian concept wise. You can have an entire tribe of savage warrior wood elves deep in the mountain jungles that rarely make contact with the outside world.
>>
>>53238765
It's rare to get to use this, but, "Fuck canon."
>>
>>53239088
It doesn't matter what race you like, /5eg/ will tell you to play half-elf or v.human. Play what you like. Race honestly doesn't matter all that much past the first few levels.

Also yes, savage wood elves are awesome. Barbarians and druids and such.

>>53239189
It's not rare at all, it was my nickname in college.
>>
Damn; slow thread.
>>
>>53239362
Mother's day, I guess. You'd imagine a lot of grognards love their mommas.

But man, I'm bored.
>>
>>53239435
>>53239362
>Not playing D&D with your mom on Mother's Day

It's like you guys don't even love your mothers.
>>
>>53239468
I do, it's why I don't subject her to my degeneracy
>>
>>53239201
It also works to explain how his mom got pregnant by drizzle. Fuck cannon.
>>
Any good item mundane/magic item card templates?
>>
Is it possible for a cleric to be the party tank? Or is the d8 hit die too debilitating?
>>
>>53239803
Depends? My group has a Life Cleric and he kinda fails at being an effective tank mostly because his damage output just doesn't compare to the dual wielding Ranger. Between the fact that he's hard to hit and not all that effective at combat, enemies still focus on the ranger first.
>>
>>53238431
>>53238436
Heh, this is my party plus a few more characters. I'm the Wizard and it's glorious fun.
>>
Can you set up multi-sided tokens for players to use on roll20 or is that a purely DM thing?
>>
>>53240064
I guess I didn't look at the functionalities enough but what's a multi-sided token?
>>
>>53240135
>>53240135
>>53240135
>>
File: 67911_original.jpg (55KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
67911_original.jpg
55KB, 720x544px
>>53237499
>Starting at 2nd level, You gain advantage on death saving throws, and if you spend Hit Dice to regain hit points at the end of a short rest you double the amount of hit points you
regain.
>Additionally, you may use an action and expend a spell slot to regain 1d6 hit points per level of the spell slot expended.
>>
>>53233672

You don't need ridiculous magic items that deal a million extra effects for most regular campaigns, and chances are it'll make it extremely difficult to balance everything.

Also I have no idea what this sword is supposed to be. Or why...it just seems like power gamey wank.
>>
File: chaos city.jpg (643KB, 1800x1020px) Image search: [Google]
chaos city.jpg
643KB, 1800x1020px
>>53235693
>How do you make it so the party has and wants to stay together and not just wander off?
Meta. Seriously, the players are there to play. If you're not sure about it then talk to them before the game.
Thread posts: 358
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.