[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 21

File: DCC endsheet sm.jpg (133KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
DCC endsheet sm.jpg
133KB, 640x406px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

The Lower Planes are for Lovers Edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...
>>53008919

Has your party ever gone to Hell?
>>
>>53015391
Anyone have that mega link to Yawning Portal PDF as well the roll20 tokens for it? I can't seem to find it on the MEGA links
>>
This is Victor Vallackovich (according to google/tumblr). Say something nice about him.
>>
>>53015522
He only killed 9 cats for his teleportation circle experiments (so far).
>>
File: Animal Black Panther.jpg (47KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
Animal Black Panther.jpg
47KB, 400x488px
If someone with a Cloak of Displacement casts Mirror Image, are attacks that target the mirrored images made at disadvantage?
Or is that only applicable to attacks that successfully target the real caster?

I feel that it's the latter.
>>
>>53015539
Only applicable to attacks that successfully target the real caster.
>>
So I'm playing a warlock in a game right now, and it's a lot more fun than I expected it to be. My patron is a lich and I took the pact of tome along with Skilled for my human feat. I'm pretty much good at everything. I can cast rituals out of combat, I have all the important skills for social, exploration, and tactical purposes, half of my spells are focused on combat buffs around eldritch blast, and the other half and my invocations are focused on utility effects. This is one of the most fun "Jack of All Trades" characters I've ever played.
>>
Every time I look at the Warlock UA and see that Lore Wizard is there, I feel sad.
>>
>>53015591
how are you a "jack of all trades" if you aren't doing melee combat?
>>
>>53015666
I am doing melee. I took armor of agathys, shillelagh, and green flame blade. It's not as effective as EB, but when an enemy gets in melee range, I can hold my own easily.
>>
Arcane Archer looks pretty fun, so does Ancestor Barb.

I was fine with original Kensai but this one's much more polished and the Swords Bard is much better, still not the best but feels different to Valor now.

Also am I the only person who thought the original Favored Soul was best?
>>
is there something like super hero 5e?
>>
>>53015666
Jack of All Trades means "can do almost anything" not "does everything".
>>
>>53015710
Certain Monk archetypes.
>>
>>53015710
mystic i guess
>>
>>53015683
That sounds like a neat way to have melee capabilities on a warlock without having to invest a lot. How does armor of agathys work with Warlock slots? Since Warlock does get 9th level spells can you decide to cast it at whatever level you want?
>>
>>53015810
warlocks casts all of their known spells at the highest level they can (up to 5). their mystic arcanum slots dont work with their regular known spells, and raw you cannot select a lower level spell and upcast it at the level of your arcanum, though your gm would probably allow it if you asked
>>
>>53015759
>>53015788
More like mutants and masterminds with 5e rules
>>
>>53015833
I don't think so. So you want basically the same kind of character building as M&M with the simplified d20 Dis/Advantage of 5e? I would actually play the shit out of that.
>>
>>53015854
I really see a lot of potential with 5e rule set, i will try to come with some stuff and let other people bash it, but i would be cool to make a community efort
>>
>>53015864
It's one of the simpler, easy to balance things I've seen. The fact flat advantage never goes too high, you can use proficiency as an easy marker to show a character's stronger and most of the easier math for little +2's and shit has already been worked out make it easy to balance.

I don't think I've seen any real hacks of the system yet though which is pretty weird, I mean 3.5e had quite a few at this point.

I'd kill for someone to make a good Shadowrun ripoff with the system. I've never been able to figure Shadowrun out at all even though I love it.
>>
>>53015895
are you freaking me? i was also looking for something like shadow run or warhammer 40k
>>
>>53015945
Huh, kinda wonder how much demand there is for it. From a quick google search the all I can find is Apocalypse stuff. Really depends on how much longer 5e's around for to see if someone else would make it.

Also sort of wonder how hard it would be. I feel like converting 5e to classless would be hard but maybe it's easier to change the setting to work within a class design.
>>
>>53015391
My party went to hell once. A teleportation spell went horribly wrong and we ended up in a dimensional trap that dumped us into hell, where we found a settlement of other unfortunates. It was presided over by a shadowy red dragon that had made a deal with the devils. Ended up getting her to send us back to the material plane by helping her outmaneuver some of her more conniving foes. We fought a 30 foot minotaur and it was awesome.
>>
>>53015833
I've never played m&m, what is character creation like? I guess I mean, what is your character expected to be able to do?
>>53015895
I know shadowrun is geared around puddles of d6s, where your attributes and your skills contribute to these pools and you increase both through character progression. Does 5es skill selection and proficiency bonus really translate that well?
>>53016041
5e is really only features, classes are collections of features, races and backgrounds are collections of features that you get at first level, it's really only a matter of how you collect them together. If you wanted an absolute base model to work from:
>have three archetypes: caster, martial, other (or whatever)
>take all class features, feats, race bonuses, whatever and divide them into those categories
>assign a resource cost to these features based on when they become available
>based on your archetype, you spend that resource to get those features. Features out of your archetype cost more
>>
>>53015864
I enjoy the simplicity of 5e from a GM perspective but it seems their simple style made the game unbalanced due to their laissez faire attitude to the whole rulebook. It requires a bit of homebrewing to balance out PHB classes but it also makes homebrewimg rules easier because of the simplicity of the system. It is the perfect system (other than stealth and grapple rules) to adapt to other genres and settings
>>
File: Train.jpg (518KB, 2175x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Train.jpg
518KB, 2175x1950px
>>53015391
>Hell
Yeah, they're on a train ride out of hell right now. It was western themed, and all the devils used guns and had thick drawls.
>>
I just read the Feats for Races and what he'll is going on? Buffing everything is the same as buffing nothing. All the ASIs and awesome perks with no downsides at Lv 1...
>>
>>53016267
Maybe you should read it again, you might have a learning deficiency.
>>
>>53016041
>how much longer 5e's around
is there another fantasy heavy hitter coming in the next three years?
>>53016235
It uses dnd attributes and you have points to buy powers that you can customize, just look for x popular character mutant and masterminds and you will find the character sheet for it

also for shadowrun you dont have to translate the system just the fluff
>>
>>53016267
They're still feats (requiring spending an ASI), just with being a certain race as a requirement. They're not a buff to everything and GWM/SS are still miles above all of them.

At least them giving +1s alongside the features mean you might take them at some point instead of not at all.
>>
File: Eldritch Rapier Line.png (69KB, 1373x428px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Rapier Line.png
69KB, 1373x428px
Okay /5eg/, I asked a while back for some help on this upgradable weapon I built for my campaign and at the time I only had the first form and some ideas about how it would upgrade.

>Awaken: Slay 20 living creatures with the weapon.

>Exalted: Slay 5 living creatures while blinded with the weapon.

Do you all think these are acceptable conditions? What would you recommend changing?

The current wielder is a TWF assassin, with no idea how to upgrade it or even knows that it can.

Yes, yes, I got the upgrade names from Critical Role, I think it's a cool concept.
>>
>>53015751
Then it should be called "Jack of Most Trades"
>>
I have a 17 in dex on my monk and no other usable odd ability scores (just 11 str), what feat should I grab to get the +1 in dex? Or, should I take +1 in two abilities and a feat for another stat later?
>>
>>53016298
I would have done something like, the thing upgrades after a couple levels after the rogue kills something important with it, a badass creature or important baddie. Then it would get a power based on the bad guy, and hopefully they would coincide with things the rogue likes to do.
>>
Why would they nerf favored soul again..?
>>
>>53016438
I had an idea to do that, but that's reversed for some other weapons I had in mind. More role-play based items.
>>
Are the demon summoning spells from That Old Black magic any good?
>>
>>53016290
If you just want shadowrun fluff, then all you have to do to play shadowrun in 6e is change the fluff. Swap skill names for relevant things or add them. Maybe make some new classes. Guns would be more relevant so you'd probably want to put some more emphasis on the rules for cover.
>>
File: laff.gif (202KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
laff.gif
202KB, 500x284px
>>53016449
Because Favored Soul is a SORCERER.

[SPOILER]Meanwhile Theurge WIZARD will be buffed in the next UA. Calling it now.
>>
what's a good hook for an all-mystic one shot?
>>
>>53016474
You're the hex-men, out to fight the brotherhood of evil mages.
>>
>>53016452
>>53016438
It's late... Reserved* not reversed.
>>
>>53016452
Well, in that case the progression of abilities the sword has seem fine. All I can say is that go ahead and try it as is, and if it turns out it's taking fucking forever for the rogue to get twenty kills, like to the point where the new abilities aren't going to make any difference for him, just give it to him earlier.
>>
>>53016449

Which is the best version of favored soul?
>>
>>53016474
Escaped government experiments trying to develop mental powers. Bonus points for cold war setting.
>>
>>53016427
Athlete or +1 DEX/+1 WIS and round the latter up with Observant.
>>
>>53016459
They're... Situational. When they're useful they're a horde of demons to slaughter your enemies. When the higher level ones go wrong they can easily fuck over your party just because you lost concentration.

>>53016465
Pretty much this, make money, weapons and augmentations more imprortent. Add in tech skills for hacking that get penatlies if you're also a spellcaster.

Really it might actually balance things a bit better with guns and augmentations.

>>53016507
First one imo. It was a pretty good gish.
>>
>>53016427
Go +1 dex +1 wos, I suppose. And later get a skill feat that gives you +1 wis if your DM will allow it, otherwise I'm sure there's some +1 wis feat in the book.
>>
>>53016497
Okay anon, I'll do that. Thanks!
>>
>>53016468
It's time to sleep, anon.
>>
>>53016526
Augs are available to any character in SR, right? Would the 5e equivalent of gaining augs be feats, or something else? Would the "humanity" cost (forget the name) be its own attribute?
>>
>>53016468
>not just always banning wizards
>>
>>53016559
He's right though, WotC hates sorcerers. They exist only as multi-class bait for the other charisma-based classes.
>>
What's the fix on dragonborn, again?

Hardmode: don't say "ban them". One of my players got reincarnated into a dragonborn, and he's a dex fighter. How do I bring the race in line with the others?
>>
>>53016584
Make the breath weapon a bonus action.
>>
File: 1491664633442.png (443KB, 750x624px) Image search: [Google]
1491664633442.png
443KB, 750x624px
Alright boys, tell me your definition of min-maxing in 5e. Is it stacking AC? Standing on the edge of the crater Druid?
>>
>>53016569
Could actually use the Honor stat or whatever from the DMG. Call it humanity.

Make it start at a 10 or 15 on all characters and as it gets lower it puts a negative modifier onto your spellcasting. So if it was 8 your spell saves and attacks get a -1 for example.
>>
>>53015479
Trove > Adventures > Tales of the Yawning Portal
>>
>>53016598
doing stat rolls just so you can miraculously get 3 18s and an appropriate race to max your attack stat.
>>
Anyone else have a lost-cause player in your group? Someone who refuses to engage in the world? Someone who won't bother filling out any of the backstory stuff on the character sheet? Someone who is glued to their phone the entire game? Someone with no motivation to actually be adventuring with the rest of the party? Someone who you feel bad about kicking out because you've been friends with them for years, and also he's roommates with the player hosting the game?
>>
>>53016593
That's all?
>>
>Artificer UA
>Specializations include Alchemist and Gunsmith
>No Tinker specialization
>Only one tinker ability and it's basically a summon

Literally why?
>>
>>53016672
Because it's a class playtest that will be changed, probably dramatically, before it's ever put out to print.
>>
>>53016672
it was rushed out. they'll spin tinker off to its own specialization before it's officially published, watch
>>
>>53016598
Multiclassing and feats, having a 'build' at all.
Which, btw, I personally like, and feels it makes up for a lot of the distance between casters and martials, and allows for more in-party synergies.
It's fun, and makes for a better game than 'straight classes, no feats' (that's a great option for casters, not so much for martials), but it's also the most power hungry thing you can do with your levels.
>>
>>53016672
Can you give an example on what the hell a "Tinker" ability is?
>>
>>53016690
Why not playtest a Tinker Artificer though?
>>
>>53016427
Defensive duelist.
>>
Does any other DM obsess over how they name things? I rewrite nordic or anglo names for cities and things or slightly repronounce greek or christian mytholigical entities to create many things and I nearly obsess over my naming paradigm.

Typically it is looking up random anthological stuff like my elvish kingdom is Sídheim (Síd being a fairy mound and heim meaning home). Or it is a muddling of words (cobbletown: a town centered on an ancient cobble road is called Cobton)

Also am I autistic?
>>
>>53016700
Basically discount batman kind of stuff. The ability to build/maintain/and use small/medium animate/inseminate constructs with various uses that can be used in and/or outside of combat.
>>
>>53016584
Conversative: add Darkvision, buff Breath at highers levels to 4d6/6d6/8d6 at 5/11/17 instead of PHB's 3d6/4d6/5d6 at 6/11/16 (who thought giving +1d6 every 5 levels a good idea?)

Less tame: add claw (1d4 unarmed strike), scale armor (+1 AC when unarmored) along with the conversative buffs. (Basically make the Dragon Hide racial feat baseline)

crazy: breath weapon scales every 4 levels as 2d6/4d6/6d6/8d6/10d6 (1/5/9/13/17)
>>
>>53016706
Doesn't work while wielding Quarterstaves, the best Monk weapon.
>>
>>53016598
There's different tiers to it. Picking a race that has a +2 to the stat that the class you wanna play uses most is min-maxing, but is still really logical and anybody who has the most base understanding of games at all can see how that would be helpful. Maybe it's because that just taking base steps to maxong, but doesn't involve a lot of min.

The point where it gets annoying is when a player takes levels from four different classes in order to achieve a boring "build" that does a lot of damage a couple of times a day (maxing) at the expense of the features they would get from pursuing all those classes normally (min).

It's really up to the player whether or not the character is accepted or not. Is the reasoning for this character having all these abilities a bunch of bullshit? And by bullshit, I mean they either ignore it or conversely write dozens of pages of backstop with the sole purpose of justifying this mess of character levels. Is the player doing this when everybody else is just taking the classes as given, playing the characters as they develop? Is the player utterly incapable of selling this character as believable in any way?

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that min-maxing is just a thing that occurs. What makes it bad is when the person who's min-maxing is that guy. The confusion comes about because so many that guys min-max to get shitty characters. Some people see the symptom as the sole problem.
>>
>>53016718
Everybody does it. It's part of being a fa/tg/uy, shit's important to you, you end up slightly obsessing over it.
Just be aware, nobody cares all that much.
Naming conventions can show the cultural allegiance of regions, how the languages intermingle, all that fun worldbuilding shit... players won't care much, if you're writing a novel readers won't care much. You will, as you do, and those names can act as memory anchors for your plans, but that's all there's to it.
>>
>>53016767
What's even a viable 4-way multiclass?
>>
>>53016537
Dex and wis. Wis and con. And if he gets that far, he can take durable or something to round off con.
>>
>>53016803
UA Ranger 1/Rogue Assassin 3/Warlock Blade 3/Sorcerer the rest of the way, just to say the obvious, low-endurance but stupidly burst-driven.
>>
>>53016781
I often let random people "see beyond the dm screen" (see notes or hear detailed explanations on the meanings of encounters) because I think it's helpful for our group since it's a more newbie group. I'm a first time gm but I took it upon myself to worldbuild an entire continent and ro make it fresh I ripped naming methodology from multiple sources and bastardized Fearunian religion on planar stuff (essentially gutting it to simply the inner planes with heavy modification).

Does this seem too ambitious? I'm trying to make a believable, lived in world without it being too convoluted
>>
>>53016864
It depends on the scope of the campaign(s) you are currently playing, and plan to play, in that world.
Generating content that the players won't see, not now and not later, is a bit wasteful - it can be good as training, or just because you wanted to put some ideas on paper, but in the end if you won't use it in any way it's wasted.

This is a personal opinion, but after a while you're better off doing something else with that creative energy, and switch from worldbuilding to novel writing, or find a new group and start an other campaign.
>>
>>53016598
I have always had trouble with questions like this. I feel like min-maxing might be inevitable as if you learn even a decent amount of information on the game you will unintentionally start doing it or begin to feel compelled to do it. I can definitely say Min-Maxing can be fine as long as the player and the PC are not overbearing with it. I have a problem with it when the player is being That Guy or it makes no sense for the PC.

For example, if a Barbarian who has never had any interest in magic or any inspiration for magic suddenly next level wants to dip into Wizard to get portent just cause its strong is a problem to me.

I find it less of a problem when it's tied to the character's story or can be a natural progression such as Martial Class/Fighters.
>>
>>53016923
I mostly built it to withstand multiple campaigns. The ones that other people tried to run were half baked and poorly conceived so we abandoned them until I started DM'ing. We now fully use my campaign with random offshoots to playtest character concepts.

I built my world in a way that we can run multiple separate campaigns with distinct slightly unconventional designs because I built it with hyperbolic flavored regional points but put enough ground between them that they could be isolated for 20 level campaigns (presumably, we're going to span about 3-5% of map space for 5 levels).

I built the space segmented nearly in the vein of the US (two major mountain ranges creating unique flavor for west/middle/east and tenperature segmented to north/south) and also positiones magical modifications (a permenant door to shadowfell in the north woods and to feylands in the south woods) to add a more hyperbolic and regional influence. This gave options for a wide variety of adventure styles and flavors but doesn't railroad anything.

I guess the concern would be I'm spending too much on worldbuilding
>>
I'm thinking of playing a Dwarven Ancestor Barbarian. He was an urchin raised in a Human Orphanage and never knew his family.

He read up about Dwarven history and always felt like he must have had a great family line, he's adventuring to try and uncover the secrets of his clan and figure it out.

Now I just need a reason why he's a raging madman and why he's got spirits that help him without ruining who his family is. Thoughts?
>>
>>53016864
Think of it this way. What's a universe that's always described as lived-in? That would be star wars. Why do they call it lived in? Because they filmed the first one in a desert and covered everything in dirt. Any world-building shit, like the kind of stuff that actually explained how the galaxy worked, was all EU, meaning extraneous people who were drawn in by the dirt were the ones that came up with the big-picture stuff.

What I'm getting at is, players are going to be much more compelled by the smallest details, rather than the biggest one. I'd say it's rare to have players that care about the governing bodies of the world, the etymologies of the local language, the economics of the region, versus those that are much more interested in how the NPCs always say some funny sounding phrase whenever they greet the players, or it's a custom for people to have shrines in their house with a few gold coins in them. They're not gonna care what the shrine is for, but they'll care about them coins. Just throw dirt on everything, that is the way to get your players interested.

Speaking of which, I don't always bother naming my NPCs, especially when I'm forced to come up with one on the spot (players are in town and wanna visit a shop, etc) and when that happens, the players are perceptive enough to note the theme or real-world ties of the place they're in, and I'll ask them to name the NPC and they'll give me a name that fits thematically. Even if it sometimes ends up being a stupid name. But the stupid names it what makes it fun for my players, and more importantly makes that NPC memorable. If it's memorable enough, he may get tied in to some story stuff.
>>
File: wonderful.png (46KB, 196x188px) Image search: [Google]
wonderful.png
46KB, 196x188px
>>53017080
Never did I spot how obvious this was until you pointed it out.
>>
>>53017058
The spirits show up but of course don't state who they are. The fact that spirits have stuck around and surround him must mean they must have belonged to important dwarves. That is what spurs him to find their identities.

As for why he rages, a lot of kids end up emotionally weird after being in orphanages. Maybe the person who ran it was an abusive bitch and one day you snapped. Or maybe it's just part of your bloodline.
>>
>>53017058
>why he's got spirits that help him
how about the obvious, he knows the rituals to appease the spirits (part of those secrets you mention) so they help him?
anybody could do it, but the rites of passage needed would mean, mechanic-wise, multiclassing as a barbarian.
>>
>>53016598
I come here to learn about min/max ideas then outlaw them in games. You can't GWM on reach weapons or use Sharpshooter with crossbows. You can use a modified version of Revised Ranger and you can use a homebrewed Sorcerer or the PHB version. UA is off limits unless expressly allowed.

I focus on fun but a huge part of making everyone have fun is balance so you need to shut down powergamers
>>
>>53017112
Pray tell, do you outlaw sorlock? Palalock?
>>
File: Horrified.png (422KB, 652x712px) Image search: [Google]
Horrified.png
422KB, 652x712px
>>53017112
>>53017137
>Not outlawing the cancerous mechanic that is multi-classing altogether.

Seriously, 90% of the exploits in this game from multiclassing. If you have a character who can't made with a tweak or two to existing classes, then you need to tear up your character sheet and come back with someone who's not an anime character.
>>
>>53017080
I do that too. I talk to players about their ties to the world and build off that. I did an imorovised memory sequence with a plauer and built the world from that.

I do have one issue in that one of my players is so focused on payment and money but they are all on the frontier with loggers and fur traders thar don't have the coin to pay people. I give them the leveled encounter rewards but he insists poor quest givers should also reward them accordingly
>>
>>53017112
If that's the balance that works for your group, that's great, but those are some quite restrictive and specific rules.
And wtf, is it really broken to GWM or Sharpshooter on things that can get a bonus action attack with a feat? It doesn't feel like it, have you run the numbers?
>>
>>53017164
I limit GWM and Sharpshooter mostly because they limit flavor through RAW. If you want to be the best archer you need to use a crossbow. That's retarded. If you want to be the best melee fighter you need a halberd. Fucking retarded. Limiting those feats opens up more varied builds. An archer with a bow can get extra damage from sharpshooter or an extra attack through CE. Now there is more versatility. It hinders mstagaming and it's easier than simply outlawing feats altoghether
>>
>>53017112
>Oh no, fighters are getting too viable! Better make sure they can't do jack shit with their ASIs except maybe one weapon feat and getting their stat to 20 so everyone plays paladin or druid or whatever instead!
>Oh, also, you can use homebrewed shit
>Modified revised ranger

It's one of these guys who acts like they know how exactly 5e works and tries to homebrew everything in or out and fucks it up.

The real problem isn't multiclasses, usually, except a few very specific ones you can just say 'No' to. And even then stuff like moon druid is still stupid.
>>
>>53017164
And yes, an extra 15 damage a turn for an ASI can break things
>>
>>53017162
>exploits
In 5e they're so watered down you can put the difficulty of an encounter back where you want it by adding an extra goblin or two.
The to-hit math is pretty good, there's no real way for players to always hit or to never be hit at all, and no way to lock enemies out of combat without using Concentration or, in the monk's case, resources and multiple rolls with real chances to fail.
The rest is damage and hps, you can easily throw in an extra bag of hps or two if needed.
>>
>>53017212
Banning/limiting these things doesn't help. If you want people to take a variety of builds, you should really give them the shit for free instead of taking it away, and then they'll be able to do whatever because they haven't specialized themself into an area.
>>
>>53017238
see
>>53017212
I actually would prefer to keep them as is to balance martial vs caster. Problem is they shoehorn flavor and RP is more important than numbers. If min/maxing martials NEED to run the same config to compete then the system is broken. I simply removed a min/max concept to force more versatile concepts. I'm also trying to find ways to make dual wielding and bows competive but until then I'd rather not deal with min/max classes
>>
>>53017297
Warlock smites give a lot more oomph to bows, and bows only, Elven Accuracy makes hiding after a single shot a great option, an Elf Fey Warlock-Arcane Trickster should be among the most damaging ranged characters, and can only do it with bows, not xbows.
>>
>>53016741
>inseminate objects

l l lewd
>>
>>53017276
>if you want to increase variety remove the small disadvantage of min/maxed concepts
dafuq? The problem is feats are incomplete. If there were bow feats, or non-reach 2H feats, or better dual wielding feats then it'd be less of a problem. The problem is lack of choice. By segmenting SS/CE and GWM/PAM I create more choice and more varied builds. If I can do that and make them competitive vs casters I'd do that too
>>
>>53017355
If Warlock never existed the game would.be better. Warlock is such a meme class
>>
>>53017080
Very well put. I'll have to save this one for later.
>>
All Dragons Party faggot here. I wanted to report back about the attached after running it through five different playtests.

In short: Lower levels tend to suck for the Dragons. They sometimes struggle with medium-level encounters depending on whether or not their breath goes off and/or recharges. Things get a little better at 5th when they get multiattack, but that still means they have to get into melee range to use it. Really it seems like the best option for the Dragons is to take a cantrip like Sacred Flame and spam it at range between breath recharges.

Higher level damage output seems actually on par with classic barbarian builds. Especially after you figure in the fact Dragons don't have things like GWM or rage to help boost their damage. It's also easier for the dragons not to get wtfpwned in melee due to reach and flight speed. They have no major source of healing (unless someone took Cleric), but they do have a rather large HP pool to buffer with.

I have no idea how broken level 18+ is yet though. I figure if I actually take this campaign that far the players have earned the right to play god.
>>
File: this.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>53017378
This. Holy fuck, this.

I get that they're the most flavorful, but 2 spell slots for half their existence (levels 1-10) is just bullshit unless your DM is giving you 10-minute short rests or something. You might as well be playing a fucking turret.
>>
>>53017378
It's the most balanced of the spellcasters, the game would be better if all casters worked on the same per-short-rest paradigm.
>>
>>53017112
It must be so fun to play in your campaign.
>>
>>53017403
>You might as well be playing a fucking turret.

They play like a martial.

Think about that for a moment.

You are saying they are so shit because they play the way half the classes in the game do.
>>
>>53017403
You could say the same of EVERY FUCKING CLASS, levels 1-10.
Combat is supposed to be short, 2 spells per encounter are PLENTY. It's wasteful for spells that you'd cast at low level anyway, like Hex, those should be at-will invocations.
You're supposed to have a fuckload of encounters, the game is balanced for 6-8 encounters per day with 2 short rest in between. Warlocks have more 'casting power' than other casters for the majority of their career, but are worse at bursting spells out.
>>
>>53017405
Maybe. That'd require a complete rethinking of DnD caster class concepts. I call it a meme class because all people do is add random levels of warlock into multiclass for things. Seems wizards just need a nerf

>>53017403
They are too DM dependent. Even flavorwise they rely on their DM because your entire class is based on an NPC
>>
>>53017356
Fucking autocorrect impregnating my objects
>>
>>53017437
Even martials have more to do than Warlocks, sorry.
>>
>>53017425
Well players in my campaign have drawn their own character pictures and keep telling me how excited they are for the next session so it probably is. Just because I expand choice by limiting min/maxing doesn't mean it isn't fun you autistic trashcan
>>
would you allow ridiculous names for characters if it fit in with the character

eg if the bard went by his stage name of cockroach j. murderpuppy
>>
>>53017510
One of my players is plaing a Dwarf Paladin named Longrod von Hugendong
>>
>>53017476
Like what? Think of positioning?

You ever played an archer?
>>
>>53017515
I'm making an archer 14 Fighter/6 Rogue simply for expertise so I can push people down and run away. Also with assassin I can use action surge on the first round of combat with alert + sharpshooter to dominate enemies. If I can use UA sharpshooter it boosts the build a bit
>>
>>53017499
>Limiting is fun
>Germany in 1939
>(You)
>>
>>53017112
so no one can play fighters lol
>>
>>53017112
so you ban wizards?
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>53017112
>Limiting fighters
>Not limiting the magic classes that REALLY break the game
>>
>>53017562
So you've got one active ability per short rest, a few passive abilities, and the rest of the time you just do your standard attack.

Sounds less than a warlock tbqh.
>>
New Bugbearmount memes!

>Pick Kensai
>Pick Whip and Handcrossbow as Kensai weapons

Enjoy your 1d10 Handcrossbow and Whip that you can use with either Str or Dex.
>>
>>53017112
You're nearly as bad as the autist who had a screeching fit over the UA ranger.
>>
>>53017499
"expand choice"
"limiting choices"

so are you saying all your players are min maxers?? you clearly aren't the one in the party why does it matter to you if the fighter wants to use a pole arm, but now it's not as viable because he can't GWM or archer want's to use a crossbow, naw use bow instead it's better now
>>
>>53015391
Why the fuck didn't you include the new UA, you blithering retard.
>>
>>53016584
Look at the dragon born.
The breath weapon is bad. The other features are pretty good. Maybe they could do with an additional feature.

So, how to buff the breath weapon? You could make it a bonus action that can be used once per short rest. Maybe you could buff the damage increasement from 1d6 to 2d6 at the same intervals. Maybe you could upgrade the damage dice at these intervals, instead. (2d6, then 2d8, then 2d10, then 2d12).

What other features could they have? Here are some ideas. Maybe let the players pick from the list:
>Tail (for balance) allows advantage on acrobatic tests.
>Wings adds 5 feet to your final jump distance / height.
>Draconic eyes gives you nightvision 60 feet.

Other ideas would be natural attacks (fangs and claws), thick scale armour, bonus on intimidation checks. I'm not a big fan of these.
>>
>>53016584
Give them one racial feat at level 1 without the ASI attached.

Seriously they're fucking terrible at everything except Moon Druid for firebreathing bear form.
>>
>>53017588
Creating more choices is fun. If you have min/maxing players they have one choice if GEM/PAM can be joined but two if they are separate
>>53017591
Case in point
>>53017605
No. But I haven't found a way to balance casters. yet. I will do so when I can. Till then I'm trying to varify builds
>>53017616
It's more complicated due to cunning action. If you go battlemaster you get plenty of versatile actions but UA Sharpshooter is a stronger build
>>53017632
I actually had a player autist over UA Ranger when I greenlit it with caveats. I balanced the class vs other martials on my own time
>>53017644
Polearms get extra attacks but not a huge damage gamble. Hand Crossbows get extra attacks but no damage gamble. It lets people have more choice between polearm/2H and xbow/bow. Not hard to comprehend
>>
>>53017689
>If you go battlemaster you get plenty of versatile actions but UA Sharpshooter is a stronger build
This so fucking much, past level 6 or so Battlemaster gets btfo 3 times per short rest. Also at least Sharpshooters bonus action search and skills give it some out of combat utility. Sharpshooter's the best.
>>
>>53017717
I think sharpshooter is better due to their 3xday damage booster and close quarter bkw fighting without wastimg an asi on a crossbow feat plus free disengage. Perception as a bonus action seems useless to me but idk how it can be used so honestly I'm ignorant on that utility
>>
>revised subclasses

>barbarian's ancestor spirits still don't even inconvenience wizards

This shit has to be on purpose.
>>
The MM has only around 20 monsters with vulnerabilities to certain elements. Yet much more has resistance.

Do you think every monster with a resistance should also have a vulnerability ? Or am i just too invested i n useless details.. would making mechanicals vulnerable to corrosion be gamebreaking ?
>>
>>53017741
Against hidden enemies in combat, invisible enemies and finding traps.

It's small but hammers in the eagle eyes thing pretty well.
>>
>>53015522
I'd take him to a nice cafe and a show in a heartbeat, and then tenderly fuck him afterwards.
>>
File: 1487526061159.jpg (114KB, 818x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1487526061159.jpg
114KB, 818x1000px
Hey all, I'm looking at 5e, as in I'm on the character creation outline on the srd and I have a few questions if you don't mind.

First, the points pool and ability range i.e. 8-15 seems to place a lot of emphasis on getting the right stats. Since the variation in numbers is much lower than pathfinder (my only previous experience) wouldn't that make it much more important to make an optimal build character? In pathfinder I like to gimp myself on secondary attributes to roleplay effectively, I wouldn't lower charisma to 7 to get an extra point of strength or con as a fighter for example, I would leave it at 10 so my character isn't a gibbering imbecile out of combat. Is this a viable playstyle in 5e?

One of the things I really like about pathfinder is its simple descriptions of ability scores. When I first started playing I didn't know what any of the numbers actually meant, but this page really helped: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/

The only 5e equivalent I can find is this: http://www.5esrd.com/using-ability-scores/

Does anyone have a table of ability scores for 5e with an in game example of what that score means? Is 15 strength reasonable for a human, or is it godlike in 5e?

Finally, does anyone have a completed character sheet I can look over to see what a good 5e character looks like please?

Thanks!
>>
Alright, so books and unearthed arcana and all sorts of crazy shit have come out since the last time I asked this, so I'm hoping for a different answer, /tg/.

What's the most chivalrous possible build in 5e? Most chivalrous race, class, archetypes, feats, everything!
>>
>>53017773
The question is why, what purpose does that serve?
>>
>>53017790
I hear that chivalry is dead so any undead character.
>>
>>53017790
Magic or no?

If magic then Triton Devotion Paladin with the Protection fighting style.

If not then a Human Knight with the Protection fighting style.

If you want Chivalrous savage then a Firbolg Ancestor Barbarian.
>>
>>53017717
>>53017741
Plus that build benefits more from the SS class due to the focus on first round of combat. It's hard as an archer to get the advantage needed to offset the +10 damage. Assassin gives advantage on the first turn of combat so SS/Assassin class on a won initiative at 14 Fighter/6 Asassin with action surge is 6d8+94. It's a crazy good skirmisher class that can shove prone with expertise then bonus action dash away
>>
>>53017689
Your sense of balance isn't nearly as good as you seem to think it is, I wonder what the point of trying to rebalance Wizard's own shit is, homebrews definitely because people are shit at balance and at homebrew.
>>
>>53017790
Aasimar Devotion Paladin with Sentinel.
>>
>>53017856
He's right you know
>>
>>53017849
I don't know why you think wotc knows anything about balance. If you play mtg you know they are just trying to jerk off in a dark room. 5e is great because of the simple core concepts but it needs homebrewing to fine tune. As I saud multiple times the feats wouldn't be such an issue if they were more diverse. They had to revise on of them mid publication for God's sake
>>
>>53017898
Who the fuck was talking about the mtg team?
The point stands though that you, as a random pleb, undeniably has a poorer sense of balance than they do.
>>
If I push someone 8-9 feet would it count as them moving 10 or 5 feet on a grid? I'm trying to figure out how useful the Swords Bard's third Flourish is.
>>
>>53017914
Shh, don't worry. He has "fixed" 5e.
>>
File: 1397738493449.jpg (84KB, 483x700px) Image search: [Google]
1397738493449.jpg
84KB, 483x700px
>play with the same group for a good while now, about 5 level 1-10 campaigns
>nobody ever played any kind of cleric
>decide I'm gonna play one for the sake of it
>"what are you gonna do, heal the enemies to death?"
>"why would you play a healslut anon"
So here I come with a question, assuming UA's are allowed, what's the most DEUS VULT combat cleric build you can make? This one will run on 1-20 because our DM wants to try his hand at longer campaigns.
>>
>>53017914
Except not, because they've yet to release a balanced system. But you blindly suck anything shoved through a hole in your stall so there is little reason to talk to you about it
>>
>>53017898
Homebrewing, you wat. The homebrewers need to first understand the underlying assumptions behind 5e and its premise and the genre it occupies, otherwise you'll continue to see turds being shat out by smug fuckers whose works are literal shit.
>>
>>53017937
Forge Cleric with PAM. Put on your +1 Plate and pick up your Elemental Weapon Quarterstaff and kill the fools who stand in your way.
>>
>>53017954
So, Variant Human for the free feat, and make it STR focused?
Yeah, can be done.
Should I dip some levels later on into some other class?
>>
>>53017940
4e, you screeching autist, but 5e while still imbalanced has a lot going for it.
But sure, act like screeching autist when someone calls you out on being a shit designer because your autism makes you think too highly of yourself, especially since tou can't design for shit.
>>
>>53017968
If you have a decent Charisma Paladin 2 for Smites, better weapons and fighting style.
>>
>>53017933
It is universally agreed that caster vs martial is broke and the rule makers themselves made it RAW that feats were a variant i.e. optional, implying they weren't balanced. So why do you assume WOTC perfectected 5e when half the rules are variant rules?
>>
>>53017979
Keep thinking you fixed 5e.
>>
>>53017978
Would dipping 2 into Fighter for action surge be a good idea as well?
>>
>>53017976
4e isn't a ttrpg
>>
>>53017988
Eh, I feel like Smites are a better option then Action Surge. It's only going to be +1 attack on you anyway so I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>53017996
This meme must end, it was fun.
>>
>>53017940
Never go full autist.

>>53017996
Really only tards think that.
>>
>>53017987
Except I said multiple times I haven't fuxed everything or really anything. I simply said that some (optional) feats need to be segmented to increase player choice. If you think 5e isn't broke then why do Sage Advice and Unearthed Arcana exist?

Keep in mind I'd rather play 5e than any other system but thay doesn't mean that a bunch of jews know any better than anyone else. Clear your mind and listen for once.
>>
Need some advice.

Our party has an ally, a vampire who's helping us kill off an army of undead cultists because they're causing trouble for him as well. We're approaching the final battle, and he's brought 25 or so vampire spawns and a handful of normal humans as well as himself in order to help fight the enemy army.

The enemy army is potentially about 10,000 strong with an undead dragon leader, we don't know yet how strong our own side is, but we have allies coming from three different cities as well as several mercenary groups.

Assuming the battle itself goes well, my character wants to betray the vampire and purge him and his forces from existence. This has far-reaching political ramifications if successful. The party will go along with whatever I suggest, because enough of them are anti-undead Good and the rest are roughly aligned with my political struggles.

Given there's up to 9 of us (it's a big party because of RL restrictions, we can't divide the table) and we're levels 5/6, if we can persuade at least some of our own forces to attack the vampires, how likely are we to win?

The DM isn't really planning for it as far as we're aware because it would be really stupid for us to turn on the vampires... if we weren't thinking five steps ahead, which we are.
>>
>>53018019
>never go full autist
Please count out the number of variant rules in the handbooks and get back to me
>>
>>53018034
The vampire turns to gaseous form and fucks off.

You now have a vampiric nemesis.
>>
Can Ki be expended while raging? I'm wondering if I should take some levels as a Kensei Monk
>>
>>53018030
Then why do you think you have a better sense of balance or game design than Wizards? The question is why do you? They're immaterial because they are actually addressing issues.
>>
>>53018051
Yes but monk dip isn't going to give much to a barbarian.
>>
>>53018047
>The vampire turns to gaseous form and fucks off.

He's over a day and a half's travel from his core lair. He's had us bring gravedirt for him to form a new temporary lair nearer the battlefield, and we don't currently know its location, but that's part of the betrayal plan, that we should either consecrate it with holy water or dump it in the river before turning on him.

Even if we kill him, we'll have a vampire nemesis, his vampiric bride. Plus the one we're going to kill after. Like I said, political ramifications.
>>
>>53018045
Variant rules by actual designers rather than from randos.
>>
>>53018082
Not who you are responding to, but imo, it's a moot point either way.

They are titled "variant" because even the designers knew they were shittily balanced, not because you are actually not meant to use them. The difference between a fighter using feats and not using feats is a third of his damage. That's such a huge gap that either monster health is taking that into account, or not, so one way has to be the "correct" way for it to be.
>>
>>53018059
They and I can address issues at the same time. UAs exist because the game is broken and they trust the community to fix it. That is why it is playtesting material and why so many people create homebrews. If WOTC was so perfect they wouldn't need a revised ranger class. My entire point was I don't want every min/max melee fighter using a halberd or every min/max ranged using a hand crossbow. I increase build variety by limiting feats because WOTC didn't think as much about those 10 pages out of the other 600 they published
>>
How would you make Strahd have better staying power?

Was thinking of giving him Closing the Borders, which'll mean he'll actually be able to control the mists.

And a Creature Sense ability like what the elder brain gets.
>>
>>53015537
A two servants.
>>
>>53018082
actual "designers"
It's just peoole sitting in a room drinking mediocre vodka and spitballing. Don't pretend they are wearing labcoats and running through algorithms. They have less DnD playtime than a single combined thread of /5eg/
>>
>>53017810
Players are rewarded with more damage for taking their time to identify and study their enemies
>>
>>53018115
>>53018116
>>53018149
Please wow us with your completed game.

>>53018179
Then you need to roll Knowledge checks.
>>
>>53018149
>They have less DnD playtime than a single combined thread of /5eg/
Playing by yourself doesn't count.
>>
>>53018116
>increase build variety by limiting feats

this is the truth
I've just started my 6th 5e campaign as a DM
I limited feats on the 3rd campaign because 2 massive lvl 1-16/17 campaigns of experience proved feats to be an issue to me.
Players were originally doubtful. After experiencing the difference, player's were in agreement, as a surprisingly solid sense of balance and fairness showed itself.
>>
>>53018116
>>53018210
Did you reign in the casters?
>>
>>53018225
Do I do my job as a DM and build adventuring days and target squishes and make them roll concentrate checks?
>>
>>53018245
Do you? We're not mind readers, you fucking retard.
>>
Question: if there's a ranger with +5 and advantage to initiative and an alert swashbuckler with +11 to initiative, how likely is it that one wins over the other?
>>
>>53018319
Advantage makes your average dice roll like a 15.something I think? So probably the Swashbuckler by the tiniest amount.
>>
>>53018319
Just did the math. Swashbuckler wins initiative 64,7% of the time. So a decent margin, but not really that huge.
>>
>>53018030
>Keep in mind I'd rather play 5e than any other system

well know we KNOW you're retarded
>>
>>53018565
>know we KNOW you're retarded
Not even him but gee, you're a smart guy.
>>
How do I make a Dwarven Barbarian? I want to be the generic Dwarf who goes into battle armoured and swinging an axe like a madman.
>>
>>53018116
>UAs exist because the game is broken and they trust the community to fix it. That is why it is playtesting material and why so many people create homebrews.

PFFFFTTT haha okay there champ

UA isn't playtest material, it's their way to keep the masses satisfied with their terrible release schedule while still maintaining plausible deniability because "muh optional rules"

and even if it was playtest material it's not like Wizards ever listens to the fucking fans anyway...remember the so-called playtest D&D Next? remember how they banned internet playthroughs of their so-called test material after some nerds tore their dumb mechanics a new asshole? remember how the Fighter was nerfed in every single so-called playtest packet update?

Mike Mearls doesn't give a shit what fans think or want and he never has, he wants to make the D&D he thinks he played when he was a kid and he's not going to let anything silly like statistics or experience get in his way
>>
>>53018272
imply, to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated

High-context communication often involves implying a message through unspoken communication. These transactions feature pre-programmed information that is in the receiver and in the setting, with only minimal information in the transmitted message.

The assumption is the receiver is capable of 'making sense' of the transmitted message. The advantage is that only a little needs to be said for a lot to be communicated.

>Do you?
I do.
>We're not mind readers
The answer was clearly implied.
If the answer to my question was possibly 'no', then you are led to think that the answer to your question was 'no'
If the answer to my question was possibly 'yes', then you are led to think that the answer to your question was 'yes'
In addition, my question contained the information of 'how' to your question.

Given that I am capable of communicating 'how' to do something, it is reasonable to assume that I am also capable of doing that thing. Therefore the answer to my question asked of you should be understood as 'yes', and therefore the answer to your question is 'yes'.

My mistake was to assume you of sufficient intelligence to make sense of this.

>you fucking retard
I assumed you weren't retarded. You call me retarded for doing so.
>>
>>53017782
As a general thing, you want 15(+Racial to get 16) in your main stat/stats. However, you can get away with 14, and you can also get away with a low stat (even as much as 8 if you don't plan to multiclass) in a primary stat on some classes such as wizard or druid if you do them right. Of course, you'll likely be gimping yourself, but you can work just fine in the party and have a role and place.

If using point buy, typically you'll get 15/15/14/10/8/8 and the 15s are raised by racial stats. However, depending on the class, you could go for only 2 high stats, or even only one high stat.
So, 15/15/13/10/10/8 or 15/15/12/10/10/9 or 15/14/13/12/10/8 are definitely possibilities. For the most part, the differences are trivial, even if it is suboptimal.

It all really depends a lot on class. Also, stats tend to become more varied as people get ASIs - some people will take feats, some people won't, and thus people will get different attribute scores.

As for ability scores, it's probably the same as always.
Strength is to squash a tomato.
Dexterity is to cut a tomato carefully.
Constitution is to eat a rotten tomato without major issue.
Intellect is to know a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is to understand not to put a tomato in a fruit-based salad.
Charisma is to sell a tomato fruit salad.
>>
>>53018605
Jesus fucking christ you're severely autistic, a simple yes or no would do, not a goddamn treatise on autism. Do you socialize at all? That's far from how a normal person talks.

>>53018601
Only the retards and the autists wrecked the game for everyone.
Wizards being shitty, I agree, but not listening to the fans, it's precisely because they pandered to you retards and autists that the game doesn't live up to its full potential. You pieces of shit are to blame for vomiting forth literal shit as feedback.
What're the fixes in the UAs if they didn't listen to feedback, what's the UA ranger. Stop being caked to the toilet bowl.
>>
>>53018683
>Jesus fucking christ you're severely autistic, a simple yes or no would do, not a goddamn treatise on autism. Do you socialize at all? That's far from how a normal person talks.

wrong

i spelled it out 4 u because u clearly have issues
>>
>>53018711
Bull fucking shit, you went beyond severely autistic, you retard. No was forcing you to spew that autism all over everything. Again, because you clearly have no friends and clearly don't socialize, a yes or no suffices.
>>
>>53015391
I'm contemplating alternate or modified spell lists for classes for my next Campaign, rather than using the standard spell lists.

Is there a reason I'm missing that that's a terrible idea?
>>
>>53018711
No, from that eyesore you are severely, severely autistic. Like holy shit autistic.
What the actual fuck.
>>
>>53018678
>>53017782
Or, to put attribute score another way:
Strength is muscle power and includes athletics - running, throwing, jumping. Str saves are used to avoid being knocked prone or shoved about.
Dexterity is precision and reflexes. Jumping in a fancy way, throwing in a fancy way, hitting in a fancy way. Dex saves are to avoid hazards and certain harmful attacks you can't usually deflect.
Constitution is simply just bodily integrity, autoimmune system and all that. Con saves are to endure poison, pain and certain magical effects.
Intellect is simply just knowledge. Intellect saves are mostly against psionics.
Wisdom is a practical understanding of the world. While intellect may let you recall information about a creature, you may need wisdom to empathize with it and understand its behaviour. The classic mad scientist has high intellect and low wisdom - They know all they need to create a brilliant invention, but they lack the foresight wisdom provides to realize the problem the invention solves is a problem nobody realistically has or cares about. Wisdom saves are largely to resist outside influences.
Charisma is not really about good looks. It's about force of will, self-confidence and being able to manipulate people (Though understanding a social situation sort of comes under wisdom). Charisma saves largely focus on teleportation: Teleporting through a no-teleport barrier, resisting a teleport. Also on some occasions to resist some magics that wisdom doesn't.
>>
>>53018711
So you're a retard and severely autistic.

>>53018729
Pretty good.
What are you and how are you modifying the lists?
>>
>>53018751
I was thinking of making bard more support focused, with more support spells.

I was also considering possibly dropping druid and running a variant sorcerer with most of the druid list instead of the sorcerer list. Haven't started it yet, just playing with the idea of revamped spell lists for different feeling casters.

I was also considering a sort of Eldritch knight without the evocation and abjuration spells, and giving it a more debuff type focus.

Likewise, maybe a different listed paladin.

Was also considering a potential "everyone learns their spells like a sorcerer or wizard" approach, and either dropping or altering divine casters.

But basically the lists would be revamped with a coherent theme in mind, I wouldn't just randomly choose stuff.
>>
>>53018683
>What're the fixes in the UAs if they didn't listen to feedback

What fixes? Seriously, besides the Ranger what fixes have there been?

Because I've seen a lot of really shitty Fighter/Monk/Barbarian archetypes and a whole bunch of overpowered Wizard shit (Theurge, Loremaster) which is exactly in line with what Mearls did when he "fixed" 4e with Essentials (made the Fighter shit, made the Wizard even stronger).

And you can argue that Wizards listens to some of its worst fans (see RPG Pundit and Zak S getting credit in the book) but I remember a lot of fans getting really dissapointed as the Fighter was nerfed in every playtest release and the Sorcerer lost its cool-as-fuck gimmick in favor of being A Shittier Wizard (tm) again
>>
>>53018800
Pretty good, might be an idea to expand the EK's spell access to encompassing all schools of magic rather than just the evocation and abjuration schools.

With sorcerers, maybe allowing them access to all of the wizard's spells and maybe the druid's spells as well.
>>
>>53018800
I really enjoyed the fighter in the early playtests.

I remember butchering kobolds even on a miss, through passive damage.

When I realized that, I stopped using my weapons for little guys, and started throwing pebbles, and swinging my backpack at things, etc. It was the most fun I'd ever had playing a D&D fighter.
>>
>>53018835
Might be fun to dig through the playtest packets and see what can be reconstructed.
>>
>>53018800
The recent fixes in the most recent UA, if you actually bothered to read.

You realize the intent of the UAs is for feedback and playtesting, don't you? Even if they were shit tier before and could've made the game better, at least they are listening to and have been listening to feedback, apparently good feedback. The shit we got was also because they listened to feedback, clearly they shouldn't listen to autists and retards.
>>
>>53018751
As for why, in case that was the unspoken follow-up question:
>Playing with the idea of how to make 5e do a better job at an Ivalice campaign, and rather than do a bunch of completely custom classes or some shit I'm just thinking of what I might be able to do to get the flavor down pretty quick using existing mechanics.

So, is it an absolutely terrible idea?
>>
>>53018800
>>53018835
>>53018857
Give this feedback to Wizards. Our feedback could give us UA fighters with ToB manvures.
>>
>>53018835
How was damage on a miss calculated in playtest?
>>
>>53018874
Ugh. I hated ToB.

Not for the power level, but for the disjointed mechanics. I wouldnt use a ToB style fighter, unless there were no readied maneuvers or maneuver slots.

Gimme maneuvers with a stamina/ki pool, or maneuvers with a Shadowrun style strain mechanic, and I'd be all for it.
>>
>>53018906
I think it was just Str bonus. I don't really remember. It was a long time ago.

The playtest packets are in the trove though.
>>
>>53018912
How's that not any more disjointed?

How's a stamina pool less disjointed than "you have to spend an action to flourish to prepare for your next flashy move"?

If I wanted fucking refluffed manabars, I'd be playing HotS.
>>
>>53018857
>You realize the intent of the UAs is for feedback and playtesting, don't you?

No, it isn't. The intent of the UAs is to keep stringing people along with player-facing content without having to release any actual books or even pretend to have to give a fuck about balance.

>>53018857
>Even if they were shit tier before and could've made the game better, at least they are listening to and have been listening to feedback, apparently good feedback

Mike Mearls will never give a fuck about feedback that contradicts his own opinions about what makes "Real D&D (tm)". That's why the Monk still sucks while the Wizard continues to get awesome shit. That's why there have been no expansions to Manuevers but tons of new spells.
>>
>>53018912
You're in the minority then, obviously they'll need to rework them for 5e. I'll take maneuvers from a ki pool, but make it a relatively ample pool otherwise the class would be useless.

But the other anon is right >>53018941
>>
>>53018912
>>53018941
I can get behind readied maneuvers, so long as they don't have any arbitrary limits that feel too gamey. Readied maneuvers can be justified by practicing them during a short rest so that they're fresh in one's muscle memory, or adjusting sheaths and straps so that a given maneuver is able to be performed. But slots seems kinda arbitrary.
>>
>>53018948
>Manuevers but tons of new spells.
...Except every class except Barbarian and Monk can gain Spellcasting in someway. Two classes have access to Maneuvers and one is UA.

I get the point you're making there but I feel like martial feats and new weapons and armour with tricks and shit like the Battlerager Spiked armour is the way to go.
>>
>>53018948
So you never bothered to read the newest UA and just like to vomit shit over the keyboard. Good to know, but it means your autistic screeching is just that, autistic screeching.
>>
I stopped reading the SA 5e thread because I got tired of every post being about shitty people being involved in the games design. Now the SA has been brought here because discussion of that got banned from the thread. Great.
>>
>>53018941
I'm fine with being too exhausted/sprained/injured to do a thing, and less fine with "I can't do this one trick but I can still do any of my other ones, even though none of the people still alive in combat saw me do it or anything".

I hated aedus existence in 4e.

5e already has too much of that bullshit fiddly individual ability/power tracking, I don't want more of it, I want more ways to strip it out and replace it with something now unified, like you can with spell points.
>>
>>53018948
>Mike Mearls will never give a fuck about feedback that contradicts his own opinions about what makes "Real D&D (tm)". That's why the Monk still sucks while the Wizard continues to get awesome shit. That's why there have been no expansions to Manuevers but tons of new spells.

monks don't suck unless you're comparing it to GWM/Sharpshooter feat martials. no point in being an effective stun baton if somebody else is shooting rockets. remove those feats and everything falls into place
>>
>>53018979
Only a monk can be a kensei. Only a wizard can be a lore wizard. "It doesn't apply to enough classes" doesn't really apply, and also there's a feat to gain maneuvers, which with more interesting maneuvers might actually start being taken occasionally.
>>
>>53018987
People on a witchhunt are rarely sane or coherent in their blathering. Not sure why he is so fucking assblasted.
>>
>>53019022
Pretty sure I even know who, specifically, from SA that is. Only one person there is so upset and personally affected by bad 5e mans that they would go find other pools to shit in when even Something Awful's barely existent moderation tells them to knock it off.
>>
>>53019007
So you would rather the Battlemaster gets more options then we get more Fighter subclasses? The Battlemaster is shit design, it has a combat ability that sort of scales instead of getting new interesting ones.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I do prefer the Arcane Archers design of constantly scaling special attacks with minor passive ones. It gives you real abilities you can all day and still lets you do your cool trick sometimes per rest.

Even Swords Bard actually shows a good design. If a Battlemasters capstone was something similar to "Once per turn you can use a 1d6 superiority die" it would be more interesting. Battlemaster isn't even that good of a class and slapping it's abilities onto other people doesn't solve that.
>>
>>53018990
Some tricks might be more exhausting than others, which justifies the higher level ones being unavailable, while the lower level ones are.

Or you could do them like a Warlock, where there's a limited amount, but as you level up you get better at doing them and add more damage/increase their effectiveness.
>>
>>53018990

How about this.

Maneuvers, right. But also you have a combo meter. So you open up with some pissant maneuver, and each turn you use a maneuver in a row you get a combo point, and then you have finishers that use all your combo points, or a number of combo points.

And you could say combo points do things depending on your school. So like, one school gives you bonus to AC based on current combo points, and one might increase your damage every turn you don't get hit, and one might give you a speed boost or extra attacks, or elemental damage or something.

So for example, Shadow Hand could be something like:

For every 2 combo points you deal 1 extra d6 damage as long as you have advantage on the attack or an ally is adjacent to your target. You also gain +10 move speed.

And then you'd get combo points for each maneuver you do in a row from the Shadow Hand School and your finisher could be something silly like Strike and stun an opponent until the beginning of your next turn then teleport 30 feet in any direction.
>>
>>53019078
Maybe if *all* the higher level ones were unavailable.

But if I have my low level abilities and high level abilities and I am all out of that one mid level ability, that's the kind of bullshit I'm taking about not liking.

>>53019083
I feel most comets aren't enough rounds for that to be terribly useful. But if done well, that might be interesting. I'd have to see it in play.

I'm not against having mechanics to make the fighter good, I just don't like the approach tob took.
>>
>>53019112
That's true, I don't think I've had a 5e combat last more than 4 rounds.
>>
>>53018987
Shut the fuck up MonsterEnvy
>>
>>53018596
warhammer fantasy troll slayer (but it has no armor)
also one of the splatbooks has a barbarian archetype that is for dwarves only which makes you go with spiked armor
>>
>>53018729
>>53018798
>>53018858
Anyone?
>>
>>53019161
It sounds completely normal. I'm sure this is what most DM's do if it's a custom setting.
>>
>>53019161
Modifying spell lists is fine. Nerf casters into the ground (except for Sorcerer).
>>
>>53019063
You'd think Wizards personally committed atrocities against him, but nope then you realize he's just being severely autistic. He doesn't even have an argument because Wizards has been fixing things for the better.
From all of that, his presence is litetally irrelevant.
>>
>>53019070
So fix it. More relevant maneuvers is a part of that. The one melee martial that lets you be an actual expert at combat and actually do things shouldn't be given a shrug and given up on, least of all for even more options for classes that should've had less to begin with.
>>
>>53019112
>>53019083
>>53018990

So what would you guys want in a maneuver, anyway? Power and fluff-wise, what would you like to see?
>>
>>53019070
>I'm not saying it's perfect but I do prefer the Arcane Archers design of constantly scaling special attacks with minor passive ones. It gives you real abilities you can all day and still lets you do your cool trick sometimes per rest.
>Even Swords Bard actually shows a good design. If a Battlemasters capstone was something similar to "Once per turn you can use a 1d6 superiority die" it would be more interesting. Battlemaster isn't even that good of a class and slapping it's abilities onto other people doesn't solve that.
Give this feedback to Wizards when it comes down to it, then we might get well designed classes.
>>
>>53019151
I never once posted in the thread almost solely because of you, Arivia, so I'm not him.
>>
>>53019063
What's SA?
>>
>>53018678

Hey thanks for that, as long as I can have decent non-class abilities so that I don't have to play meta archetypes that's cool.

Do you have any tips for a new player?
>>
>>53019151
>>53019229
How about you fucks stop dragging literal filthy shit out of your holes and stop starting shit. There's no need to chimp out.
>>
>>53019219
Rip mechanics directly from other martial classes from 3.5.

I forget which class, but one of them let you make an attack and if you hit that target was marked. Every turn the marked target doesn't try to attack you, you'd get an extra d# to your standard attack, and the creature would be aware of it. a kind of tanking ability.

feats could be reworked into mechanics, called shots with status effects like if you called shot someone's head they might get stunned, or a leg shot might cut their movement in half. Basically just ways to make normal attacks do their regular damage + an effect.
>>
>>53019244
Something Awful, where some posters in the Traditional Games forum have reasons to dislike 5e and some of the people who had a hand in making it. Which is fine, but then they go on to actively stifle any discussion about the game with various forms of "game bad" and one in particular basically tries to backseat mod people into only discussing 5e to make fun of it.
>>
>>53019219
I want actual combat maneuvers (trip, bullrush, etc) to be about as easy as they are in d20 Conan - such that anyone can attempt them.

For like, martial power "maneuvers"?

I like a lot of the ones in Path of War 1&2. Some Supernatural, others arguably not supernatural.

I just don't like the structure surrounding them.

I'm also cool with the idea of having ones that you can only use in specific circumstances. Like a maneuver that only works when you're surrounded in at least 3 sides, or that you can only do as a reaction to being attacked in melee, or whatever.
>>
>>53019274
Oh. That sounds insufferable. I've visited something awful like, twice. Saw no reason to come back.
>>
>DM to host urban campaign soon for 5e.
>Only have 5e experience in sprawling wilds and ruinses.

Help! What do I make to be OP and not a gimp in social bullshit that isn't a complicated bard thing!?
>>
>>53019280

>I want actual combat maneuvers (trip, bullrush, etc) to be about as easy as they are in d20 Conan - such that anyone can attempt them.

The issue there is that they don't really become a martial system then. The 'Hitting stuff with a mace' cleric is great at them too for example.

I oddly enough have the inversion of this go on when I look at stuff. I'd like to see rituals decoupled from spellcasting. Anyone can do it if they know the ritual rather than them being special spells that don't count towards your spells per day for wizards.
>>
>>53019219
It's going to sound like a copout, but: if I were enough of an expert to know how to do all the design work myself, why would I pay WotC or anyone to do it? I just want options for battlemaster to be less automatic because there are so few worth taking. Sorcerer metamagics have the same problem, lest you think I have some bias against casters.
>>
>>53019312
Rogue.
>>
File: Sorcerer - New Metamagic.pdf (42KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer - New Metamagic.pdf
42KB, 1x1px
>>53019320
>>
>>53019312
Wizard.

>>53019331
Rogue would be acceptable if it was Pathfinder.
>>
>>53019320
That's a fair response. The reason I asked is I was trying to work on some sort of system of my own for maneuvers, but didn't know how anime or limited I was allowed to make them.

Right now it's looking like it's going to be like a Warlock (since everyone says it's pretty much a martial with maneuvers), but thinking of this shit is hard.
>>
>>53019317
Yeah. Those maneuvers shouldn't be special. Any schmuck can try to trip someone.

I'm cool with any schmuck being able to attempt a slow ritual, too, if they have the book in front of them.

Hell, just make them into some kinds of skill checks.

The "class unique" stuff should be the stuff that doesn't make sense that everyone should be able to do.
>>
>>53019347
>Maximise Spell
I don't even need to say what's wrong with this.
>>
>>53019312
Trickery cleric.
>>
>>53019369
Please do though, I'm working on balance testing now.
>>
>>53019369
If you mean the spelling, outside the USA lots of words are spelled with an s instead of a z.
>>
>>53019366
One of the ideas I had for an archetype of >>53019361 was metamagic-styled tweaks to maneuvers. So you could start with a trip attack against a single target, but could mod it up so it's a Dex save or fall prone in a 10 ft radius around the person maneuvering.
>>
>>53019378
If he means balance wise, maximize damage on attacks without a lot of flat +numbers is essentially double damage.
>>
>>53019361
I always find "anime" to be a really intellectually lazy criticism, right along with "video gamey". It's just people with weird ideas about immersion comparing D&D to other things like taking inspiration from stuff newer than Tolkien is horrible.
>>
My local game store owner required me to remove my pepe the frog pin from my jacket to enter his store. What should I do /5eg/?
>>
>>53019425
Get a Pepe neck tattoo.
>>
>>53019425
Stop being severely autistic.
>>
>>53019366

>Hell, just make them into some kinds of skill checks.

That was the 4e way and it was pretty cool (Though it was never quite fully explored as it kept them to Arcana, Religion and Nature skillwise).

I'd really like to see a ritual system where rituals are extrapolations of skills. A wizard who spends all his time with his nose in a book doesn't have innate the understanding of how shadows move to create a stealth ritual on par with the rogue who has spent years learning how shadow and sound work for his job.

A wizard could try to use a ritual to jump super far...but the ritual is an extrapolation, so the guy who is already a master of athletics will do it better as it's not extrapolating from dweebus jumping to keep his robes out of a puddle.
>>
>>53019434
No anon it is you that is autistic for not appreciating my allegiance to kek
>>
>>53019425
It's private property. Either do as you're told or leave.
>>
>>53019446
If you start trying to act like someone normal, maybe you might even become a normal human being.
>>
>>53019406
"Anime" is a power level and flashy stories complaint.

"Videogamey" is a generally a complaint about how disconnected a mechanic seems from the in-setting universe explanation. I prefer to call this one "boardgamey", because videogames have physics engines and such.

Both are legitimate complaints, albeit ones subjective and tied to personal taste. Some people like both of those things.

>>53019446
Nobody cares about Pepe. Remove the pin or don't go in. It's all the same to us.
>>
>>53019451
But its fucking ridiculous that this man has drank the cool-aid this hard, how do I shownhim the error of his ways

>>53019454
Its literally a tiny pin on my jacket, i dont see whats not normal about it anon
>>
File: 49913939_p1_master1200.jpg (468KB, 900x1184px) Image search: [Google]
49913939_p1_master1200.jpg
468KB, 900x1184px
Feeling like tasting orc dick in all honesty.
>>
>>53019406
>>53019474

Totally valid criticism, my mistake. I guess by anime I meant how flashy-wuxia-movie it was. Like for a maneuver that knocked everyone in a 10 ft radius around the person prone, it can easily be fluffed as
>Character dives to the ground and and springs to-and-fro, slashing at everyone's feet in a 10 ft radius in one fluid motion,
or it could be
>Character unleashes a shockwave from his body that repels and knocks down anyone within 10 ft

Both of those work equally as well for that maneuver, but there's quite a few maneuvers in ToB/PoW that wouldn't be possible with the first description's level of """realism""", which is why I wanted to check with the thread first.

Personally, I prefer the first kind better. It separates the maneuver as someone exceptionally skilled instead of using some magic analog, and it can always be fluffed up, while some things can't be fluffed down.
>>
>>53019497
I'm fine with the mundane ones as well as the ones like blatant teleporting, or literal "cast a spell"s.
>>
>>53019497
"Mundane skill" as an explanation really doesn't make sense after the first few levels imo, unless you really stretch what "mundane" means.
>>
>>53019497
>>53019530
Why can't the fighter teleport around or cast bull's strength or enlarge or something like that?

Why inject realism into D&D?
>>
>>53019425
Perform the political fairness test.

Walk in wearing some paraphenalia depicting Che Guevara, renowned Marxist revolutionary, physician, author, guerrilla leader, diplomat, and military theorist. And mass-murderer with a preference for children, who was so murdery he was betrayed and sent into a trap by Castro, which is impressive considering Castro was responsible for the murder of tens of thousands of innocent Cubans.

If he objects to you wearing something depicting a well-known mass murderer turned pop culture icon, then at least he's being fair and all is forgiven. If not he's a commie cunt and you shouldn't shop their.
>>
>>53019561

And if he banned the pin because eating a cane toad killed his little sister and thus amphibians are traumatic for him?
>>
>>53019561

You'd need to have it not be a shirt. He can't ask someone to engage in public nudity.
>>
>>53019545
Two reasons mostly.
One, like I said the maneuvers can always be fluffed up, but it's really hard to fluff them down. So my instinct is to keep them low-power in fluff so that they can accommodate a wide variety of tastes.

Second reason is I don't want to make assumptions about the world of any particular DM's campaign. If I make some maneuver where a fighter teleports by cutting holes in reality and stepping through, (and I did make a homebrew Fighter Archetype about that, called the weavedancer or whatever) I make a firm statement about the metaphysics of the universe that might not be applicable or palatable to some DMs.
Plus I'd like it if maneuvers were usable in Anti-magic Fields.
>>
Have any of the official books had a beholder in them?
>>
>>53019664
y
>>
>>53019700
Just wondering anon
>>
>>53019710
sorry i meant y as yes
i have to delete that bad habit, i know most people understand it as "why"
>>
>>53019487
Good taste but /pfg/ is that way.
>>
>>53019732
Understandable mistake anon, but which one is it?
>>
>>53018982
>So you never bothered to read the newest UA and just like to vomit shit over the keyboard

What the fuck are you even talking about? "Revised Subclasses" was still fucking garbage. It didn't fix anything.

Arcane Archer is still trash, Kensei is still trash, Favored Soul is still strictly worse than Theurge Wizard.

Oh, but the fucking Bard subclass got better. Because Valor Bards didn't outclass the Fighter enough, so at least they fixed that...
>>
>>53019542
>>53019530
Sorry to ask again, but then what do you guys see as a mundane maneuver? One of the things I have down right now is
>Spring Dash
>As a bonus action, you can jump up to your speed in feet in a single direction. During this movement, enemies have disadvantage on Attacks of Opportunity against you. >Furthermore, the first attack made on your turn after the end of your jump gains an added [some amount of damage].

I like it because it's useful both in and out of combat, and to me it's an example of mundane skill because it's theoretically possible IRL, assuming a person was strong enough. And it can easily be re-fluffed to fit other concepts, like as a short-ranged teleport or a extremely fast dash.
>>
>>53019576
Then he should be more clear about his motivations, and you could still put it to the test by figuring out if he has a similar reaction to playing cards featuring frogs/toads. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Turn to Frog isn't a banned card in his shop.

Unless his little sister was killed by a maniac wearing/wielding a frog pin, that would be specific enough of a reason.
>>
What is your opinion on the new college of blade?
It look fun.
>>
>>53019751
by official book you mean rules or novel/lore?

for rules, they have rules in monster manual and volo's guide to monsters

for lore there is good lore in volo's guide to monsters

i've never read a single d&d novel tho sorry
>>
>>53019801
40k harlequins
>>
>>53019813
I meant hardcovers, sorry for the confusion anon
>>
>>53016247
I always knew the South was godless.
>>
>>53019760
>Kensei is still trash
>Has highest average martial damage output with only one feat
>Can expend 1 Ki to do even better damage or control then Battlemasters

I'm sorry could you explain your reasoning?

I agree Favored Soul is trash (Fucking still) but Arcane Archer is pretty good. They get less arrows then a battlemaster gets die but they are all much more powerful and on top of that they get free +1 attack and damage.
>>
>>53019760
You clearly have no idea what the fuck you're spewing about, and you clearly want to keep being ignorant, but whatever helps you sleep better.
Do explain how you'll recreate them to be "good".
>>
>>53019827
I never play 40k. Please elaborate?
>>
>>53019845
Dude, he clearly just wants to keep spewing his hate of 5e and its designers. There is no logic or reasoning behind his severe autism.
>>
Is roll20 a good place to start D&D?
>>
>>53019851
well when you have an argument to make let me know and I'll get back to you

otherwise keep up the autistic bleating
>>
>>53019801
>>53019869
Harlequins are space elves who travel in troupes doing theatre shows and every fight they do is a theatre for them.
They are just juming around, dancing and raping your organs with their blades/guns
>>
>>53019902
When you actually have a point instead of your screeching then you might be relevant.
You can't explain why they're shit.
You can't explain how you're write them to be good.
You'll keep deflecting because you have no argument.
>>
>>53019845
Kensei is worse than a BM archer Fighter at some levels and better at others, but it's still garbage because all it does is HP damage and any class in the game can do that if you spec right. It's competitive in exactly one sphere and has nothing for any other parts of the game.
>>
>>53019902
His point was that you have no fucking clue what the fuck you're vomiting, as other people have demonstrated. You haven't even looked at the classes but will still decide to take a shit in this thread regardless. Keep up that impotent nerdrage, you chump.
>>
>>53017626
i'll keep this in mind

thanks senpai
>>
>>53019957
>His point

somebody's so buttblasted they've resorted to samefagging
>>
>>53019946
>highest damage dealer
>can control the battlefield
>nah, other classes can do even more damage if you spec it just right, and it clearly is completely incompetent in other areas.
>>
>>53019896
It's okay for hosting if you're playing online, but jesus christ don't try LFG there.
>>
>>53019988
And all we're seeing is a severely autistic chump.

Still not seeing any of your responses, you shitfister. But keep deflecting.
>>
>>53019801
It's dumb because you can't TWF
>>
>>53019946
Except the Monk has far greater defence against everything except melee attacks then a Fighter, and if the Fighter isn't just handed Plate the Kensai will normally be 1 point lower. Guess what? If it comes to it a Kensai can get +2 AC for when they're fighting weaker opponents where Damage doesn't matter as much as hitting.

They have far better control with Stunning Fist which no other melee character can perform.

They get free +3 Magical Weapons at level 11 which makes them far more likely to hit with Sharpshooter.

They have a little bit more out of combat utility then any Fighter except Scout and maybe EK between Slow Fall, running up walls, speaking every language and their higher level ones are actually really good.

Can you give any argument other then it's bad because I think so?
>>
>>53019896
>>53020004
If you are LFG, try reddit
>>
>>53019896
I got my best group in years here in /tg/ and we play over Roll20, but I've never tried the LFG system.
>>
>>53020043
I've actually found some decent players there.
>>
>>53019988
The only one severely and autistically buttblasted is you. What's the point of your impotent screeching. You haven't anything of note nor given worthwhile critique. Your "arguments" are irrelevant.
>>
Can you weapon attack, then unarmed attack as a kensei in the same action for the +2 AC?
>>
>>53017937
>"what are you gonna do, heal the enemies to death?"
I want your fellow players dead.
>>
>>53017937
Seems weird that a party doesn't want healing. Anytime I play a cleric, all the party does is bitch about healing, then bitch I heal them for a small amount when I'm level 2 and all I have is cure wounds and healing word
>>
>>53020112
Yep, just means you do slightly less damage for higher defence that round. On a melee Kensai I'd be doing it pretty much every round until 11. Unless I needed to go all super sword edgy on the BBEG of course.
>>
>>53020112
I want to say yes. Technically your attack action can be as spread out as you want it to be You can move your full movement in between attacks. So even if I was keeping track of what you had in your hands (as DM, I assure you, that I'm not), I would let you drop your weapon in between slice and punch, or whatever bullshit requirements this edition has for weapon holstering/unholstering. I immediately disregarded them because they're stupid, and can't quite remember much beyond that.
>>
>>53020266
You can unarmed attack with your hands full though, that doesn't matter.

What his asking is for Kensai's "If you make an unarmed attack as part of the attack action you get +2 AC until your next turn". Which yeah as long as one's unarmed it works.
>>
>>53020259
Our DM throws healing potions around like candy, so a cleric was never needed, although I might message him to cut that shit for a campaign as well.
>>53020201
Yeah, they aren't the best.
At least I'm glad they left the video game mentality when playing DnD behind around half of 2nd campaign, and stopped being murderhobos around early 3rd

And I will show them that cleric ain't a bitch
>>
>>53020028
TWF is a cuck anyway. Dueling is way better.
>>
>>53017937
Forge Cleric. The passive features make you difficult to kill. But really, it's the active, item creation feature that's really fun to use.

>Feature is so poorly worded, it doesn't mention space limitations on either side of the ability
>after you win in battle against the village of infidels, go out to their fields and meditate.
>transfer all metal content in the soils to a new weapon for your party of paladins
>leaving the fields completely unusable for planting.
>>
>>53020331
>it doesn't mention space limitations on either side of the ability
Well fuck me drunk it doesn't.

What's the most retarded thing one can make that costs less then 100gp and has at least one metal part?
>>
>>53017937
>>53017954
I like Forge Cleric with Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and Absorb Element.

Probably go Animate Objects for concentration slot instead.
>>
>>53020298
But blade bards don't even get a shield
>>
>>53020362
I don't know but gathering enough junk from the dungeon to make a Carriage for your loot sounds fun.

Or you can collect every rusty sword, turn it into a small easy to sell 100gp item and make a profit.
>>
>>53020429
>>53020362
>>53020331
What if I created 100gp worth of raw steel, and smithed it into weapons to sell it at an even grander profit
>>
>>53020041
>Stunning Fist
>Sharpshooter

mate you can only use stunning Strike with a melee attack

ranged Kensei sucks they don't even get the best think a Monk can do
>>
>>53020362
If your DM is playing with Gunpowder, then Gunpowder.

>moving on from the village of infidels, we set our crusade on our true target. The Holy City, long held by the heretics, but soon to be ours
>the siege is quickened as I turn the very metals under the walls into gunpowder over the course of a week
>tired, but happy in my service to the Lord, I wait for the word of the Commander-Priest
>he looks at me with pride, and then nods
>I spark some divine fire on the carefully laid trail
>Blessed be the Lord
>>
>>53020463
Except they can walk into melee with a sword and just be melee with +2 AC when you need to be? You only need to stun one guy normally and Monks are the kings of mobility.

Stun big guy, walk off and be a Sharpshooter Monk until you need to stun him again.
>>
>>53015692
Mo, I too liked the originally more martially inclined favored soul.
>>
>>53016418
Think of it like playing cards. The Jack isn't the highest card, nor is it the second highest card. However, it's still a face card, putting it above most. Thus a Jack of All Trades should be above average at almost everything
>>
>>53020463
You do realise that because of the wording on Monk and Kensai weapons you can use the Ranged Weapon to make a melee weapon attack with DEX and Martial Arts die and apply Sharpshooter in melee?

Really it gets better range, better damage and better melee damage then Longsword... for less damage type access I guess. Except they can use melee weapons just as good if that ever matters.

There's no mechanical reason not to be Ki Archer who uses his bow as a quarterstaff.
>>
Does barbarian and rogue mix well or is that a terrible multiclass?

It seems like I'd be able to sneak at the start of combat for crits/back stabs and then rage for lots of damage on surprised mobs, maybe with more back stabs of they turn to attack my party.

Or do the abilities not mix that way.
>>
>>53020460
yeah, that's fine. You can also operate a currency exchange and take a percentage fee for your trouble.
>>
>>53020672
Sneak attack works on finessable weapons. It could work if you have another melee centric party member so you always have sneak attacks up.
>>
>>53020672
They are absolutely beastly grapplers, and you can get pretty good AC on top of pretty good HP out of it.
>>
>>53020707
There's a paladin in the party but everyone else is ranged/caster.

Finesse weapons let me use dex for attacks, so is that across the board for weapon abilities then?

>>53020716
How does grappling work, never really gone full melee.
>>
Conjure animals is the best spell, prove me wrong /5eg/
>>
>>53017748
Spirit Shield works on fireballs, at least.
>>
>>53020745
>How does grappling work, never really gone full melee.

You use Athletics vs their athletics or acrobatics to grapple someone, then use another atheltics vs their athletics or acrobatics to prone them.

Now they can only attack (with disadvantage) the raging barbarian on top of them (who has both expertise and advantage on all athletics rolls), while he keeps shanking away.
>>
>>53020745
Grappling is an attack. You can substitute any one (but only one) of the attacks in your attack action with a grappling attempt. When you attempt to grapple, you make a Strength(Athletics) check, contested by the target's choice of Strength(athletics) or Dexterity(acrobatics). If you win the check, they're grappled, which means they have no movement.
>>
>>53020776
Gotcha. Grab, throw em down, stab stab stab with my finesse weapon that let's me only worry about dex anyways.

Seems simple enough how it benefits from rogue / barb besides the stat advantages.

Definitely gonna go that way with my new character. Maybe a dwarf.
>>
>>53020797
You can also drag them back to your friends so you can shank the downed guy together with your bonus action move.

That said, keep in mind that, unless your DM fudges it, this does not inconvenience spellcasters the least who use spells with saves any (aside from the usual stuff of getting stabbed to death, but you aren't stopping their spells I mean).
>>
>>53020822
This is so dumb to me.
>>
I fucked up and lost a leg.
How can I make this work without regenerate or other magic bullshit.
I am a Thief and I think a nice prosthetic would be nice, but does a quality dwarven Prosthetic negate the disadvantages from losing a limb?

The rules state:
Lose a Foot or Leg.
Your speed on foot is halved,
and you must use a cane or crutch to move unless
you have a peg leg or other prosthesis. You fall
prone after using the Dash action. You have
disadvantage on Dexterity checks made to balance.
Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the
lost appendage.

As I understand it, I'll never be able to dash again.
>>
>>53020839
What, you think a rule that advantages spellcasters versus martials against all logic is dumb? Why are you playing DnD 3.0/3.5/pf/5e?
>>
>>53020901
No you can, it'll just reduce your movement for next turn and give melee people Advantage against you.

Honestly could be much, much worst then a missing leg.
>>
>>53020916
Because it's easy enough to adjust the rules and my players don't care to learn any other system.
>>
>>53018030
Sage advice is to clarify rules questions or make rulings on unexpected rules interactions.

Unearthed Arcana is to playtest additional content for inclusion in future game products, in the case of the Revised Ranger to address rampant complaint about the presentation of rangers in the PHB...though now I wonder if they will do similar for Wo4E Monk?

Whatever. Those two things, UA & SA, aren't indicative of a broken game. They are indicative of designers and arbiters willing to continue engaging their customers to find places the can needs a judgement or improvement or engaging to expand the game in future product releases.

I have no commentary on your feat banning and what not, but you seem rather insufferable and bad at articulating whatever point you are trying to express.

Would you care to take another swing at it?
>>
>>53020985
I'm not him, but he's right that 5e is broke. Compared to 4e, the class balance is shit, and the combat is boring. The one thing it has going for it is that class progression is more interesting in 5e, and like >>53020947 said, because of the excellent framework, it's easy enough to fix the issues.

The troubling part is that the fixes are so easy, but WotC hasn't addressed them.
>>
>>53020641
I would rule against this munchkinfuckery so fast your ass would spin
>>
>>53021031
I was not commenting on whether it was broke or not, because to be frank the mimic in which I keep all the fucks I give about that is dead and empty, I was being pedantic about the existence of Unearthed Arcana and Sage Advice being indicators by virtue of existing,
>>
>>53016244
It really doesn't though, the difference in power levels for low and mid level is fine. Ranger, monk and sorc sorts fall behind to varying degrees but they are never useless.
>>
>>53020985
>address the presentation
Nice fancy way of saying "fix" you douchebag. The point is if it was clear and not broken they wouldn't need to errata so much or revise their work

I don't know why people are so defensive whem I have multiple times said I prefer 5e. Something being good doesn't mean it is perfect. Feats are clearly half baked trash which is why they intentionally slapped a "variant" tag on it
>>
>>53021031
>the class balance is shit, and the combat is boring.
Not any of the anons you are quoting or discussing with, but I disagree on this as a player and as a DM.

As a player, I´ve never had trouble with combat, which is fun, as I as a mystic make the paladin and monk hit all their blows.
And as a DM, both the Warlock and the Champion fighter are constantly in the spotlight.

I stuff like PHB Ranger and wot4e monk are the only things I'd say are broken.
>>
>>53021090
When talking about what a class can do we only have RAW and RAI. RAW is that it can be done, RAI has never had any clarification so it's hard to say.

If you want to houserule otherwise that's fine and I will admit that it likely never was thought about during design so that's probably fair. Even without that thought a Sharpshooter Monk is completely superior then a melee Monk because they can do everything the other Monk can do + damage on par with other martials.
>>
>>53016581
> Being autistic enough you think Wizards should be banned
>>
>>53021113
Just because things aren't useless doesn't mean it is balanced. Problem is there are trap classes where some players will not enjoy themselves as much because they will be underpowered
>>
>Composite bows are back. Add Str to bow damage. Each +1 adds 200gp to the price. +1 requires 12 str, +2 req 14, +3 req 16, +4 req 18, +5 req 20. Effective/Long Range increases by 10% per increase

Is this too good?
>>
Teg, what do you think of me bundling up all the Warlock pacts together?

My Warlock player has practically done that already by going Tome and picking Shillelagh and Find Familiar
>>
>>53021124
>As a player, I´ve never had trouble with combat, which is fun, as I as a mystic
>as a mystic
>as the most overpowered, overtuned player option released through UA to date.

Well of course you wouldn't have any problems m8. Is this b8?

Warlocks are pretty easy to DM for, but any martial is terrible to do so unless you have amazing players. Which is part of the problem. Any retard can play a caster and do cool stuff with little help from the DM. But if you've got uncreative, unaware players in the martial slots (which is most of the time), you're going to have to work three times as hard to shift the spot light to them.
>>
>>53015692
Kensai looks fun I'll have to play one some time.
>>
>>53021150
I think I used the word munchkinfuckery adequately here. RAW but certainly not intended.
>>
>>53015522
My DM played every one in Barovia as a evil retarded, or a douchebag. And he made sure there were less of them around.
>>
>>53021181
Bad idea. The pacts add diversity of build and uniqueness.

1. Bladelocks will outdamage shillelagh
2. Imp/Quasit/Pixie familiars will oututility owls or whatever, both in combat and out of combat.
>>
>>53021171
As long as you aren't stepping on the toes on a dex archer it is fine
>>
>>53021190
Wow you sure showed me.
What makes you think It's overpowered?
>>
>>53016584
Let him replace the +1 Cha with +1Dex
>>
>>53021202
I'm highly inclined to agree but not completely sure. The Sharpshooter in melee meme's been around for fucking ever but they've never even addressed it as "No". They specifically mention the fact that you can use melee/ranged weapons to make ranged/melee attack rolls and that they're very different things. I kind of feel like someone would've said that Sharpshooter should require a Ranger weapon when the GWM+SS combo came around.

Out of curiosity would you still let an Archer Kensai whack people with a bow for Monk damage? The idea of the archer using their bow to beat people up feels very Kensai to me.
>>
>>53021241
The mystic, as currently released, is a master of all trades.
>>
>>53021216
1. Only if you go full retard PAM route which will kill your utility
2. Only a very niche situation, which can mostly be solve with Unseen Servant
>>
>>53021272
You can use Sharpshooter on a spear thrust but some people in this thread are claimimg 5e isn't broke. Smh
>>
>>53021323
>1. Only if you go full retard PAM route which will kill your utility
PAM, or the new UA features.
>2. Only a very niche situation, which can mostly be solve with Unseen Servant

There really is no comparison here. The imp statblock is amazing for utility, featuring a fear check, shapechanging, and invisibility (which opens up a lot of options for casting touch spells).
>>
>>53021356
...Bitch do you even know what's going on with the melee Sharpshooter? It involves whacking people in melee with a Bow or Sling, doesn't work with a spear.
>>
>>53021364
Oh, also Sharpshooter works with blade pact if your DM is cool with you getting a magic crossbow.
>>
>>53021311
As a player let me tell you: No.
You can be anything, but worse.
Jack of all trades? Yeah, you can heal worse than anyone else, go into melee with no armor but expending all your disciplines into getting AC and then failing to do damage, or anything, but people tend to forget that you need to live long enough to get your disciplines, and then you are stuck with your 4 things a discipline can do. You can take generally "good" disciplines or situational "great" ones, but if you fuck up and your DM throws something else at you, you are really fucked.

My mystic can barely do damage, and all it can do is run support that always works and run away from foes.
>>
>>53020766
DMs hate you unless you have a prepared lost of what you can and can't summon.
>>
>>53021374
It says a ranged weapon. Longbows and spears both have the range property. It doesn't say ammunition or ranged attack. So the same thing that allows one allows the other
>>
>>53021410
As a DM, let me tell you: No. You're incompetent if you're having trouble with your mystic.
>>
>>53021420
K, what happened?
Every time I see someone have problems with mystics is something like
>I told my players they would have trouble getting back to town from dungeons, so the mystic picked Phantom Caravan!
>>
File: 012.png (2MB, 1488x2105px) Image search: [Google]
012.png
2MB, 1488x2105px
>>53021420
>>53021410

I'm going to be rolling an Immortal Mystic soon based on the advice of an anon from a past thread.

Thinking of taking Beast and something else.

Can someone redpill me on the best minmaxed build? I don't want to be dedicated healer.
>>
>>53021419
>spears
Are a melee weapon with the thrown property, you use to make a ranged weapon attack. Ranger weapon attack and ranged weapon are different things. Same reason they don't benefit from Archery fighting style and most of the Sharpshooter feat.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/19/dagger-archery/
>>
File: fitlit.png (145KB, 804x682px) Image search: [Google]
fitlit.png
145KB, 804x682px
>>53021454
Mine is Immortal, let me tell you, if you want to go as a melee beast, pump Con and Str over Int.
Forget about anything that has a saving throw, just take Beast Form For +2 AC, Giant Growth, Brute Force and Iron Durability (Invulneravility as long as you have Psi and a pasive +1 AC). Start with Brute Force or/and Beast Form, to punch and survive until you can get more Psi and AC.
>>
>>53021451
The base mystic class gives you more functional hitpoints than most other classes from 2+ onward. It might be possible to outdo a mystic on HPs if you take feats for it, but it would probably be close.

Some other red flags: Can outsmite the paladin. Can out pet the druid, beast master (revised), and warlock, can outtank anything, has better charm spells than anything, etc, etc. Basically, if you think it, there's a mystic discipline that lets you do better at it than anyone else.
>>
>>53021474
I thought it was a RAW discussion. RAW doesn't differentiate melee/ranged weapons, just thrown vs ammunition. Hitting someone with a bow is a melee attack with a weapon that has the range property. Hitting someone with a spear is a melee attack with a weapon that has the range property.

If we are going RAI then obvi you can't use sharpshooter when smacking someone with a bow
>>
>>53021241
not him, but my 2 bits

I think Mystics come in really strong. They're a bit frontloaded ~level 5, and even out later. Since they're generally equivalent to full casters, it's somewhat dominating at the most commonly played levels. If you roll out a high level, you can prioritize disciplines that you normally might have avoided because they're weaker at the early levels, and this distorts their perceived power a bit.

I like them though, and don't think they're too OP, and I appreciate having more primary Int classes.

>>53021272
>The idea of the archer using their bow to beat people up feels very Kensai to me.

yes it does and I'd allow that for the sake of fun (accordingly it should be an improvised weapon per pg. 147 PHB 'ammunition') but it's not 'that' much different from just free action weapon swapping or just monk punching.
As soon as the use strays into any kind of exploity munchkin territory I'd say no.

Could a Str character toss Greatswords with GWM for -5 +10? Also doesn't specify it has to be a melee attack, but the attack should also be considered an improvised weapon. And most importantly, *any* monk could use a spear and RAW take -5 +10 on a melee attack, not just Kensai, and there is no place where it would be considered an improvised attack. That's just the result of the poorly thought out GWM/SS feats.

I wouldn't allow any of it.
>>
>>53021454
>I don't want to be dedicated healer.
A Immortal Mystic is a bastard that just won't die and has good spike damage not a healer I mean has he some healing but it isn't his role.
>>
>>53021578
If you go as Immortal you get loads of hp and ac, that's their thing, you are forgoing wizardry and knives for that. And as a mystic you have almost everything you want to do using your bonus action so Giant Form is really bad if you just want to use it to gain some buffer.
And how can you smite? Using psionic weapon? and what pets? Only ones that come to the top of my head are the shadows and the elementals, which use your concentration that you should be using to grant advantage to everyone else anyway.
>>53021596
That's what I meant, thanks for the explanation.
>>
File: 7245w.jpg (16KB, 256x407px) Image search: [Google]
7245w.jpg
16KB, 256x407px
First time playing Wizard (Divination).
I'm a Forest Gnome, so I got Minor Illusion.
Here are my spell picks, at first level:

>Fire Bolt
>Mage Hand
>Dancing Lights

>Alarm
>Feather Fall
>Find Familiar
>Magic Missle
>Shield
>Thunderwave

Am I good? Should I change something?
>>
>>53018948
There have been only a handful of new spells, most of them being in a 3rd party designed supplement for Elemental Evil, and they've experimented with additional maneuvers several times in UA. What are you on, and is it available over-the-counter?
>>
>>53021670
perfectly fine
>>
>>53021662
The BASE mystic class gets to outtank people, thanks to psychic recovery. Immortal is icing on the cake.

>smite
Beastial Claws
>>
>>53018999
The stun baton is an important part of rocket launcher gameplay, really. You set them up for others to knock down.
>>
>>53018948
I'm pretty sure Mearls doesn't know how the current monk even works.
>>
>>53020822
How the fuck does a mage keep concentration for a spell while being suplexed and stabbed repeatedly by a pissed off barbarian.

Seems like an odd rule.
>>
>>53021211
your DM sucks and doesnt understand the setting
>>
>>53021825
>>
>>53021742
On hp.
And I've never seen anyone try to use a claw attack with a weapon, but even then, you'd need to spend the points and then hope you hit.
And remember the psi limit.
>>
>>53019474
>subjective and tied to personal taste
> legitimate complaints
Hardly. Whether something is "anime" or "videogamey" or "boardgamey" is already too subjective to make anything based on the terms legitimate.
>>
>>53019617
>Plus I'd like it if maneuvers were usable in Anti-magic Fields.
Well that blocks teleportation no matter how you fluff it.
>>
>>53021591
It doesn't have the ranged property, ranged property because that doesn't exist. Find it anywhere. It has the Thrown property.

The feat talks about Ranged weapons. Ranged weapons are the weapons under the heading Ranged weapons.
>>
>>53021956
Well, yeah, which is why I'd probably never make a teleporting maneuver. Hard to fluff down.
>>
>>53021171
It makes archer builds require both STR and DEX. MAD is BAD. Do you want people who want to be the best archer fighters to need STR, DEX and CON? Now they can dump STR and take WIS to be good outside of combat. Thus, I would say this encourages munchkinism and is therefore bad.

Consider a game like GURPS where Bow skill is based on DX, but range is like STx25/STx50 and damage is based on the ST (representing pull weight) of the Bow. But there are only 4 stats in GURPS and MAD is not a big problem.
>>
>>53019760
>No comment on the barbarian path.
>Likes the bard path the best
You must be trolling.

>>53020901
Get a mount or some means of flying. There's also a handful of cases where you'd want to be prone after dashing anyway, since it protects you from ranged attacks.

>>53020985
>Would you care to take another swing at it?
Don't encourage him
>>53021031
>the fixes are so easy
They really aren't. Any easy fix I've seen is just breaking things more than the default rule. A fix that doesn't break more things is not easy, and I've seen barely any of those.
>>53021090
They can still draw a one-handed kensei weapon without dropping their bow, fight in melee just fine with or without the +2 AC, stun if they like and then put the sword away when they need to use the bow again.

>>53021150
I don't think "counts-as"ing a bow into a quarterstaff leaves it counting as a ranged weapon either though. Since that whole bit is under the DM's determination, you have no "RAW" force to your opinion. If you use it as a bow, it's an improvised attack and you aren't proficient, same as throwing a maul, but then it definitely qualifies for sharpshooter.

>>53021190
>play a caster and do cool stuff with little help from the DM
Anyone can do cool stuff with help from the DM. No one can do cool stuff without help from the DM.

>>53021591
You must be illiterate to have missed that there is a whole table that tells you whether a weapon is a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, not to mention all the sage advice answers that make this whole thing crystal clear.

>>53021596
>Could a Str character toss Greatswords with GWM for -5 +10? Also doesn't specify it has to be a melee attack
It actually does say it has to be a melee attack with a Heavy weapon. "Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with"

I actually wonder if making them as improvised attacks counts as not being proficient with the weapon for these feats.
>>
>>53022467
>it's an improvised attack and you aren't proficient

>Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with that weapon.

I've looked but I can't find anything to overrule throwing Maul having no proficiency.
>>
>>53021670
I would do this instead:

Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Firebolt, Prestidigitation.

Spells: Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Detect Magic, Find Familiar (Owl), Shield, Color Spray.

Consider putting off Firebolt for Mending until 4th level and using a light crossbow till then. Don't focus on doing damage, instead use Color Spray to blind low hp enemies to start off, then once they've been softened up finish off the encounter with Sleep.

Against boss creatures, use Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Portent to Incapacitate them for the damage dealers in your party.

Owl should be taking the help action and flyby to grant advantage for the Rogue, Sharpshooter or Great Weapon Master.

Focus on enabling your team as a loe level wizard so as not to seem a direct threat. Use Minor Illusion to hide inside a crate, bush or rock like you were Solid Snake.
>>
>>53022510
Fuck I mean it does have proficiency.

Also no where does it say that melee bows and ranged swords are improvised. Just that they normally do 1d4 damage when used that way.
>>
>>53022592
It's in the section on Improvised Weapons though. It's in the paragraph on improvised weapons that bear no resemblance to weapons.
>>
>>53022063
>>53022467
Lol. Woops. Still a little drunk so I missed the header
>>
>>53022674
It never says you're not proficient in them. There's no rule to counter having proficieny on ANY attack you make with them.

The only reason you don't add you attack roll on "Beer bottle" is because it's not listed under your proficiency. A greatsword is.

Can you find a specific rule you think counters what I'm saying?
>>
>>53022712
No. Nothing explicit. Just context, like "A melee weapon is used lo
attack a largel wilhin 5 feel of you, whereas a ranged
weapon is used lo attack a largel aI a dislance."
>>
>>53022750
I mean, throwing a Greataxe is something seen by awesome fantasy heroes and so is whacking people with a Crossbow. I've asked in next thread but it seems you can and I have a feeling it might even be intended.
>>
>>53019219
I came up with several for a guy a few weeks ago who was making a rogue with maneuvers. The ones that I remember best were pulling with a whip, and throwing two knives- second one did your maneuver die in damage.
>>
>>53020672
Reckless attack for free sneak attacks if you've got proper weapons.
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.