[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 34

File: 1493508853961.jpg (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
1493508853961.jpg
2MB, 2550x3300px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously on >>52974095

How did you frighten your PCs edition.
>>
First for I made a thread a while ago about a chick I was playing with rusing me about her evil plans that she had with the GM and it got hijacked by a Yandere-Anon and I wasn't able to ever find him since it archived and I'm wondering where he is and if he's in here
>>
>>52981010
I wanted to make a Legendary weapon they found on an Orc highly unnerving.

I made them all make Charisma Saves and said they felt a strange sense of dread each morning. After 3 days they all agreed the weapon was cursed and threw it down the well.

It was actually a +2 Axe that didn't like not being held by an Orc. Did whatever it could (Not much) to drive away other wielders.
>>
>>52981010
Is it true 5e has relatively bland combat, especially compared to 4e?
>>
>>52981027
Wat.

>>52981043
Nice. Did it have any nasty effects for non-orc wielders?
>>
>>52981010
>Y'Shaarj
>>
>>52981080
No, just made them feel slightly unnerved.
>>
>>52981067
In the same way OSR has relatively bland combat.
>>
>>52981108
In what way? Could you elaborate?
>>
>>52981067
Depends. Really 4e's version of combat was "I use my at-will ability" which was pretty much the same as "I attack" except some near useless rider effect.

Encounter powers were like short rest ones.

Daily ones were like Long Rest.

The only major difference now is you don't pick 1 option from 50+ where most of them are useless and not really any different from each other.

I did like 4e's combat but I don't think it's worth the other faults of the system. If you want pure a small Skirmish war game or an action based adventure it can be fun though.
>>
>>52981067
Go home, 4fag. Oh wait, your edition is so shitty, it doesn't even have a general. No wonder you shitpost in ours.
>>
>>52981150
Do your wranglers know you're loose.
>>
File: 1488830288457.jpg (255KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1488830288457.jpg
255KB, 1536x1536px
What are some good house rules to keep the pace of the game going, speed up combat and avoid getting bogged down into sessions where nothing really happens?

I'd ban the Lucky feat, I'd make criticals simply do max damage, and if a player declares his intended course of action within 3 seconds of his turn, he gets either +1 Attack or +1 to his spell's saving throw DC for that turn

We play on a grid, but I'm thinking it may actually be making the game much slower.

I'm not the DM in this year's campaign, but I might DM next year. I haven't DM'ed in 5E so far.

I also think our DM has made a huge mistake by letting a player manage initiative. I always handled initiative as a DM in 3.5E and I used it to describe the fight and then immediately go to the next player's turn and ask him what he wants to do. Most people responded immediately, which kept the pacing up.

How do you do it?
>>
>>52981174
But 5e's combat is already really fast.
>>
>>52981174
Players have 15 seconds to make a turn.
>>
>>52981067
It has simple combat, especially compared to 4e

Nowhere is this more visible than off-turn actions. In 4e you have immediate actions which can happen once per round, opportunity actions which can happen once per turn, and free actions which can occur whenever, but can only be used to attack once per turn.
In 5e you have reactions, once per round, and that's it
>>
File: Toll the Dead.png (32KB, 559x321px) Image search: [Google]
Toll the Dead.png
32KB, 559x321px
What does /5eg/ think about this one? Is it overpowered for a cantrip?
>>
>>52981145
That's actually a pretty good way of looking at it, 4e mechanizes the wording more whereas 5e brings it back to a streamlined, and I hesitate to say it, a more natural wording of abilities.

Now if only they also made the natural wording less awkward sounding.
>>
>>52981221
Crossbow Expert's wording is incredibly stupid to the point of almost seeming intentionally obtuse
>>
>>52981261
What's stupid about it's wording?
>>
>>52981290
>"You ignore the loading property of crossbows with which you are proficient"

>"When you make an attack action while holding a one-handed weapon, you may use your bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding"

Hand crossbows are one-handed weapons, and in order to make the bonus action attack you must be holding it, and without the loaded property it is always considered loaded, so there is no possible scenario in which you can be holding the a loaded hand crossbow and not get the bonus action attack. So why isn't it just "When you make an attack action while holding a loaded hand crossbow, you can make a bonus action attack with the hand crossbow"? As it stands, it's almost as if it's trying to fool people into using two hand crossbows at once or a hand crossbow and a melee weapon
>>
>>52981212
Since monsters will always be missing hit points the d12 is too much

Consider poison spray which is a d12 BUT has only 10ft. range and the more common resist/immune poison damage
>>
>>52981212
It's fucked against undead.
So no it's balanced.
>>
>>52981208
So it shat on a good thing and made combats boring? Or made them faster?
>>
How much would you make an artisan toolset "Barber's Supplies" cost? I want my Monk to dig doin' people's hair.
>>
>>52981478
Either or, it's a matter of opinion more than anything else

I'm fine with both systems personally
>>
>>52981174
Just give players a time limit. Also forces them to be thinking about the session even when it's not their turn, as opposed to just checking their phone or something. 5e combat is already streamlined.
>>
>>52981338
>As it stands, it's almost as if it's trying to fool people into using two hand crossbows at once or a hand crossbow and a melee weapon
But you can do those things.

Also, ignoring the "loading" property does not mean the crossbow loads itself. You can make multiple attacks per turn, which the "loading" property normally forbids, but you still need to reload the crossbow (most likely with a free hand).
>>
File: 282fc710169303.560e0700e995d.jpg (42KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
282fc710169303.560e0700e995d.jpg
42KB, 600x424px
>>52981174
drop the grid, would be your biggest time saver

I had to make a bunch of compromises because we didn't have anything but a tiny little table to play on. We dropped the grid, we rolled dice via our phones with quality dice apps, and the spellcasters and myself had spellviewer.exe on tablets. Physical dice are slow as you have to find them.

I actually made things potentially *slower* with a simplified speed factor initiative variant in the DMG (I dropped the modifiers and kept the style) and we rolled initiative each turn. Like this

>DM: Monsters (that you can see) appear to intend to do X
>Player A: I intend to do Y
>Player B: I intend to do Z
>Z Player C: I intend to do Q
>Player A: In that case I intend to do U
>DM: Roll initiative (everyone rolls, Player B is first, then a Dragon, Player A, then Player C, but Player A has action that clearly comes after Player C is done)
>DM: Player B you raise your arm and flames lick your shield as you deflect some of the dragon's breath just in time(Player B rolling) and you take x/2 damage and cast your (some spell) with a divine glow
Player B: (pronouncing/waving his hands in Somatic, Verbal spell gesture) Player A you have (spell effect) now
>DM: and the dragon begins to fly away but then Player C you pick up Player A and throw him at the dragon (Player C rolling)
>Player C: 18 ft. for 18 strength score if I get a running start right?
>DM: Right
>Player C: (HRRRUAAA-!)
>DM: And you meet the dragon mid-air (DM and Player A rolling, see DMG pg. 271) and you catch hold of his scaly back
>Player A: "(some RP phrase you'd expect from a halfling just hurled at a Dragon and is now climbing on top of)"

Was the Dragon 18 ft. away? Technically the Dragon gets to move before Player C and would be further away, but without a grid to check me I went with rule of cool unchallenged.
>>
>>52981558
You CAN, but you WON'T, because doing so is strictly worse than just using a hand crossbow by itself
>>
>>52981092
Ikr. Thought this was a Warcraft lore thread at first.
>>
>>52981573
But the word "loaded" prevents you from using the feat with just one hand crossbow, doesn't it?

When you attack with it, it stops being loaded, so you can't take the bonus action with the same one crossbow
I'm not sure but I thought this is how it works
>>
>>52981589
Nope! You'd think that, but FAQ confirms that because the "loading" quality is removed from the hand crossbow you can use it with one hand crossbow alone, in fact, it's effect is nearly the opposite, because you need a free hand to reload, so it's a one-off thing if you're using a hand crossbow in one hand and a different weapon in the other hand, while you can do it every round if you're using a hand crossbow alone
>>
>>52981067
>Bland
Although a lot of that is up to the DM (and to a lesser degree, the players), no. Combat in 5e is not inherently bland.

The mechanics and classes allow for some quite dynamic combats.
>>
Anyone else find creating NPCs and monsters in this edition the most organic and intuitive out of all the D&D editions? Even if sometimes you're also cribbing from class features.
>>
>>52981680
If we want to get really rules fucked, couldn't you drop your melee weapon before firing the hand crossbow and then pick it back up?
>>
>>52981174
>initiative
What you mentioned is true. Keep track of it yourself and use it to describe the flow of combat and keep your players in the zone.
This alone should make combat pretty good.

>encourage fast actions
I would prefer to just use the initiative thing, as well as wordly encouragement instead.

>crits, my suggestion:
Cap the original dice to the maximum, but roll the additional dice from the critical.

>grids
Grids are okay, they may make movement easier. Alternatively you can do theatre of the mind but for some players this is both less interactive and harder to visualise (both of which will slow down the game and make it less enjoyable for the players).
>>
>>52981589
No.
Loading property is removed completly.
What reamains is ammunition quality, meaning you need free hand to reload.
JUST LIKE BOWS.
And yes you can bonus action attack with your hand x-bow if its your only weapon.
The wording is like this if someone decides to wield i dont know. A one handed melee weapon?
Read the fucking book you dumbheads
>>
File: 36-old-dwarven-minel-1200x889.jpg (67KB, 700x519px) Image search: [Google]
36-old-dwarven-minel-1200x889.jpg
67KB, 700x519px
>>52981174
>>52981565

cont:
DM needs to know when to go slow and when to go fast
>DM: It takes an hour of time and you find the provisions you're looking for for 15g
or

>Player C: I'm looking for an odd item (Rolls a single persuasion check)
>DM: After (1d4) hours of searching you find a dirty dwarf with a jagged red scar running down his face selling such an item out of the back of The Ol' Troll Stop tavern" He offers to sell you the item for 100gp
>Player C: (rolling Insight) Is he trying to cheat me?
>DM: You sense that he is not.
>Player C: I buy it.

Players and the DM need to meta a little bit. If a character is described with only one or two recognizable features, they're a backround NPC and may not be recurring. If they have recognizable features and you quickly get a name, they're an anchor NPC and may likely be recurring. If interaction begins with the NPC voicing an introduction, there's something important going on. If *they* initiate more in-depth interaction, it's considered player agency saying "I like this concept, I want things to go in this direction" and there's an unspoken agreement that everybody has a chance to do that but nobody should get selfish

>DM: (elaborately describes a room. There's a trap)
>DM: (checking player passive perception) "You note a hole..."
>Player: (Thieves Tool/Dexterity check)
>DM: You notice a potential danger- a wire runs between the door and a needle trap, and skilfully disarm the trap.

Traps are tricky. They need to exist, traps need to be designed well, and have a purpose and add to the theme overall, but they don't often need to be more than "one and a half" rolls. Things need to keep moving quickly.

>Players: (light PC group interaction, its safe now, etc)
>Players each call out one thing they'd like to look at closer
>Each gets a perception or investigation check, possibly discovering things
then move on.

We can get ~7 encounters done in a 3 hour period
>>
>>52981772
sure, but your DM would probably impose some sort of damage penalty on your melee weapon if he's not literally sucking your dick about it.
>>
>>52981174
when people see a 20 they should just immediately drop an additional damage die. it's that simple.
>>
>>52981589
It's to contrast with attacking someone with an unloaded hand crossbow, like pistol whipping them. Nah, you shoot them.
>>
How is a beastmaster supposed to adventure? For instance you get somewhere you need to climb a rope or scale a very steep incline. How is your boar climbing up? You need to shimmy across a thin ledge. How is your bear getting across?
>>
Hey I started playing this with some mates and am really enjoying it but not sure how many times we can all get together to play, how/where do you guys find a new group to play DND with that aren't from your friendship circles?
>>
>>52981993
Take a really small doggo as your beast and carry them.
>>
File: Ayers-Rock-Uluru.jpg (1MB, 2000x1297px) Image search: [Google]
Ayers-Rock-Uluru.jpg
1MB, 2000x1297px
Would you guys play in fantasy colonial australia, but with your standard "medieval" tech levels?
I was designing a setting and suddenly realised that's what it basically boils to.
>>
What if instead of having Feats, which are often the worst part of 5e, Martial classes like the Fighter, Monk, and Barbarian just got a chance to go up to a maximum of 22 on the physical scores.
>>
>>52982153
Barbarians can already do that.
>>
>>52982153
I don't like this desu
>>
>>52982160
on Str and Con. Just make that +4 and cap at 26 now.
>>
File: 1461267567812.jpg (254KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461267567812.jpg
254KB, 900x900px
>>52982153
>Feats, which are often the worst part of 5e
>>
>>52982153
>worst part
u wot m8?
>>
File: earth.jpg (46KB, 320x298px) Image search: [Google]
earth.jpg
46KB, 320x298px
feats are shit
grappler feat is shit
keen mind is shit
Athlete is in the right place but seriously you gonna lose an ASI for that?
Heavy Armor Mastery? Holy fuck way to destroy math simplicity
Lucky? muh action resolution
Great Weapon Mastery? Yeah sure let's just bork the DPR values that the rest of the system clearly doesn't take into account
UA feats for races? UNFILTERED AIDS
UA feats for skills? only decent set of feats they've ever made

>>52982174

FEATS SUCC
DEAL WITH IT FROG MAN
>>
>>52982221
The only thing worse than feats is not having feats
>>
>>52982017
Can my cleric worship the rainbow serpent?

If so, yes
>>
What's the toughest monster you should throw against 1st level characters?
>>
>>52982255
terraceque
>>
>>52982221
Feats that are good are bad design. Bad feats are good design, so don't take them because they're bad. Hoooly shit, you're dumb.
>>
>>52982153
>Feats, which are often the worst part of 5e,

M8 stop the b8.

The feats need a little bit of rebalancing (beefing up the bad ones).
That's all there is to it.

Fighters have the best feat support and Barbarians don't loose out either.

Monks are fucked over because they need their ASI to get their AC up.
And there's barely any feat beyond Mobile that let's them shine.
>>
>>52982255
Greataxe Bugbear.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>52982272
omg mindblowing thought

feats destroy balance between the martial classes

maybe if you just dumped the feats you'd have 3 distinct and balanced martial classes?
>>
>>52982321
>"feats destroy balance between the martial classes"
>doesn't go into detail explaining this statement
>>
>>52982272
Magic initiate (warlock) is pretty good for monks

Hex has no saving throw so you don't need high charisma, and monks make a lot of attacks at low levels
>>
Is it worth taking the warcaster feat on my paladin?
>>
>>52982368
Usually not, it's a nice feat, but it's competing with polearm master and great weapon master and paladins don't get that many ASIs
>>
>>52982357
But Hex is a Concentration spell so it kinda ends up weak + it's only once per long rest.

The best feats for monks are mobile and alert.
>>
>>52982340
>Fighters scale better with feats that are easy to obtain for them
>Other martials don't scale as well from feats and they are harder to obtain for them anyway
It isn't rocket science anon. The only reason /5eg/ fervently defend shit like PAM, GWM, Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert is because they have a hard on for battle master fighters
>>
>>52982389
Oh so it is...

Hm, another reason why pact of the blade warlocks are completely useless
>>
>>52982405
Monks have one advantage tho when they reach lvl 14 and use Hex.
They have proficiency in all saving throws.

I think a monk archetype that was centered arround using ki to cast hex could actually be pretty great.
Someone posted something like that a month or so ago.
>>
File: hands.png (98KB, 320x258px) Image search: [Google]
hands.png
98KB, 320x258px
>>52981761
I actually haven't gotten my head around it yet
>>
>>52981761
yes
5e is really the edition for DMs
>>
>>52981010
Is that Ahriman after he finds the BL?
>>
Guys, I need critique.
I've DMed a campaign of Curse of Strahd, and now I'm doing it again - but with a twist.
Normally, after the party is done with the Death House, they step outside and find themselves in village Barovia, where they meet Ireena. The instantly learn that Strahd is their villain, and from there on their quest is protecting her from him.

This time, however, I've moved the house far away from the village. When they step outside of it, they will wander the wilds for a while and fend off from the beasts, until they find a black stagecoach with Strahd and Rahadin inside.
Strahd offers them help and takes them to his castle, where they spend several days. He's open about being a vampire, but insists that he's a nice vampire - cursed by the Dark Powers, and he seeks to be free from his curse. To do it, he needs to reunite with his true love - Ireena - and he offers a great reward to the party if they break his curse.
Later, however, as they wander Barovia, they come to realize that no, actually, Strahd is a liar and a cunt, and Ireena must be saved from him.

How's that?
>>
>>52981838
What?
>>
>>52982803
Sounds interesting enough I guess. Will this be with players familiar with the module or no however?
>>
>>52982915
Not familiar.
>>
>>52981761
>Anyone else find creating NPCs and monsters in this edition the most organic and intuitive out of all the D&D editions? Even if sometimes you're also cribbing from class features.

If you mean that I can just pull some numbers out of my ass and it won't be any worse than the shit in the MM, then sure, yeah, whatever.

Either it casts spells or it's just some meat that hits hard. 3.5 actually provided concrete rules for making spellcasting monsters or big dumb brutes, 5e just tells you to handwave it. How dumbed down do you need your game to be?

Fucking casuals should stay out of DMing.
>>
File: 1490350654351.png (129KB, 446x324px) Image search: [Google]
1490350654351.png
129KB, 446x324px
Was thinking of taking Magic Initiate- WIZ for Mystic (Immortal) to get some decent attacking power, taking damaging cantrips- Booming Blade as of now and Create Bonfire- (Yes I know it's a meme cantrip but I'm remaking a character from the past who used it as their primary attack)

Looking through the spells for a Level 1 WIZ I see Jump.

>Jump
>Duration: 1 minute
>You touch a creature. The creature's jump distance is tripled until the spell ends.

And I consider Brute Force (Immortal Discipline).
>Mighty Leap (1–7 psi). As part of your movement, you jump in any direction up to 20 feet per psi point spent.

>With Jump active you could go full anime and jump up to 420 feet in a single jump once per turn for a minute (until you run out of brain juice)
>>
>>52981419
To be fair, the most common undead (zombies and skeletons) are still harmed by necrotic damage.
>>
>>52982956
Then it should be a fun twist.
I enjoy the concept of introducing the villain before the PCs might have any reason to think they're a villain.
Be sure to have him as pleasant as possible though. He's unnerving sure because he has presence and is a freaking vampire but he's trying to be a really swell guy.
Just leave hints that he's not all that he is letting on to be and after they've left confirm it more and more
>>
File: 1485478226393.jpg (9KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
1485478226393.jpg
9KB, 222x227px
>>52982969
Continuing this meme
>Bestial Form (Flight)
>Grapple enemy (Advantage on Grapple if focusing on Brute Force)
>Jump 420 feet in the air
>Jump 420 feet in the air
>Fly the last 30 feet (Assuming you have a 30 ft movespeed)
>Release enemy, say something edgy and/or smug
>Watch them plummet and take 42d6 falling damage on impact
>>
Would you allow a beast master to tame white dragon, who behave more like feral beasties than anceint schemer.
>>
>>52983037
Even with an intelligence of 5, a white dragon wyrmling is still going to have a sense of being superior to everything around it.
>>
>>52983031
Man I fucked up that post.

>45d6, since you'd fly the remaining 30 feet

Good luck getting back to ground level in one or less turns though.
>>
>>52983031
>>52983057
falling damage caps out at 20d6.
>>
>>52983057
>not just falling then flying before you hit the ground
do it like an eagle
and eagle of grappling
>>
>>52983073
Ah, that makes sense. In either case 20d6 damage is plenty for something as stupid as this, and that means you'd only have to spend 3 PSI points on the jump to get to that height.

>>52983077
Freefalling back to ground level then flying would be fastest but you'd want to fly the enemy up to 200ft (3 PSI would net you 180 with this) before dropping them.

So
>Grapple
>Jump 180 ft, fly 20 ft
>Release enemy
>Freefall until near combat area again, use remaining 10 ft of movement to slow down fall
>Repeat next turn
>>
>>52982963
you're literally bad at tabletop games if you believe this
>>
I can't find rules for using acrobatics to reduce falling damage or for how fall damage interacts with jump height
>>
>>52983244
Fall damage is 1d6 per 10 feet. Monks and magic items can reduce falling damage
>>
>>52983259
So a 20th level barbarian takes 1d6 damage every time s/he makes a high jump?
>>
>>52982803
>Take a coach to Castle Ravenloft
>This one vampire guy is really nice
>But I can't stand the screams of a thousand innocents emanating from his elf friend
>Rahadin is the villain.
>>
>>52983277
RAW, yes. I would argue no, because it's not really falling, it's jumping.
>>
Is there a reason to go to Gauntlgrym in SKT? Is there a quest hook or something?
>>
>>52983323
Drow trying to steal the primordial fire spirit that lives under the great forge. Maybe the players hear that there have been drow raiding parties recently
>>
>>52982803
Just have them start in krezk or where, you know the abbey, and have them take forever to get to the village.
>>
>>52983323
a fairly good one. Drow hired by Duke Zalto of the fire giants steal Maegera the Dawn Titan to power the fire giant's furnace in Ironslag so they can rebuild the Vonindod: The Titan of Death.

It's got a small script but it's pretty loose. A smart DM can really make those Drow Elite Warriors + Shadow Demons + Drow Mages feel fun as the Drow retreat and escape through secret passages.
>>
>>52981772
Stowing a weapon is a free action+ but stowing a weapon and then withdrawing a weapon on the same turn is a standard action, with the exception of the dual wielder feat.
>>
>>52982963
>3.5 actually provided concrete rules for making spellcasting monsters or big dumb brutes
And they 99.9999999% of the time produced something completely unusable for some reason or another.
>>
>>52982272
Grappler is excellent on monks, actually.
>>
>>52982969
>jump up to 420 feet in a single jump
>or your movement speed, whichever is lower
Let me know how that works out for you.
>>
I am having an annoying issue on Roll20 that I hope someone can help me with.

I have been trying to align the Grudd Haug Lower map with the background grid, but for some reason after I align one part of the map other areas are always unaligned even though I thought the grid would remain the same throughout the whole map.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or how I am meant to be aligning this but currently I have been struggling.
>>
>>52983475
>On a class with no Expertise and no STR investment

No.
>>
>>52983321
You're supposed to jump *to* somewhere. Not just jump up and down in place.
>>
>>52982321
Feats like Weapon mastery, Moderately Armored, and Heavily armored allow for more types of interesting ways to play classes, though. Want to play a sword-swinging melee favored soul? Variant human for Weapon Mastery. Want to play a curse-flinging dark knight in full plate? Hexblade watlock with Heavily Armored.
Feats have their place, and they add a lot of variety to the game.
>>
>>52981391
>It's adversity

fucking lol, I didn't even notice that my phone autocorrected that shit. Nearly shit myself laughing, thanks for catching it.
>>
>>52983484
Align the center of the map.
If your map misaligns horizontally or vertically; go to set dimensions, and increase or decrease the pixels by a small amount at a time (10-20), until you get satisfactory squares.
Remember to align to the center every time you change dimensions.
Repeat this step until it works, then switch to vertical/horizontal.

1. Align center square
2. Adjust pixels horizontally or vertically, wherever you have a problem.
3. Go back to step 1 until it looks good.
>>
>>52983525
Clearly you need to uninstall tumblr from your phone.
>>
>>52983543
Never used tumblr, but it probably comes from pol.
But hey, if you think about it
>people bond in the face of diversity
Isn't wrong.
MAGA
>>
I think I want to play a warlock. I'm not certain if i want to go pure warlock or multiclass a rogue bladelock. If i did a bladelock rogue I'd only go 3 to 5 levels in warlock for blade pact and thirsting blade and Darkness/Devils sight.

If I did full-lock I'd go with a tomelock.

I'm thinking about making the switch because I love my rogue but I'm having trouble getting advantage for sneak attacks and I feel outclassed in combat damage by the paladin smiting everything and fighter and his absolutely retarded plot sword. So I was thinking about taking on a more crown control role. Is a warlock even good for that? Should i just be a wizard?
>>
>>52982250
Sure, but you probably wouldn't know it right from the start, since the deal is it's a penal colony and players get shipped there. So you'd have to go through a story arc to know the gods of the land and either convert from your previous deity or multiclass into cleric there.
>>
Running Sunless Citadel with two players is fucking nuts. Every fight goes to the wire, but both of them are relatively experienced and find ways to pull victory out of their asses. I like it.
>>
File: warlock of the raven queen.jpg (114KB, 759x974px) Image search: [Google]
warlock of the raven queen.jpg
114KB, 759x974px
>>52983615
If you DM allows it I always thought an assassin rogue/raven queen warlock would be cool.
You could turn into the birb to get to nice perches.
>>
What beast would fit a beast conclave dwarf the most?
>>
If you have a familiar that you sent out to scout ahead and use you action to see through it's eyes, can you use you bonus action to attack enemies with a spell or ability that requires you to see the enemy even though "you" don't really see them?
Spells that launch a projectile of some kind probably won't work that way, but I ran into this scenario as a mystic. No projectiles or anything, I just need to see the creature in question. Teleports for example, you just teleport to a location that you can see assuming that it's not too far. Seeing through your familiar's eyes would fulfill this condition.
>>
>>52983784
that one with burrow speed
>>
>>52983784
Probably something that would live in the mountains.
A bear is a fine fit always.
>>
>>52982368
If you somehow got booming blade itd be pretty nice
>>
>>52983615
You dont need adv to sneak attack if someone else in your party is within 5 foot of the target
>>
File: Vestiges of the Divergence.png (183KB, 1843x727px) Image search: [Google]
Vestiges of the Divergence.png
183KB, 1843x727px
Round 2 /5eg/ What would you guys change on these items?

Also how often have you said: "How do you want to do this?" in your games?
>>
>>52983972
thank you!
>>
>>52983538
That is a really god tip and it works on other maps but it seems like the Grudd Haug Map is just misaligned, if I align the center then other areas of the map will be completely off and changing pixels to align those area just messes up the centre and it becomes one huge circle of misalignment.

Its the one on the Mega trove for storm kings thunder.
>>
>>52983997
Minor nitpick, but magical items don't recharge on short or long rests. They recharge at dawn or dusk.
>>
>>52982963
>I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to act tough anyway.
>>
>>52981993
Short answer: they don't.
That's a real problem with that conclave. The ranger and party will have to find ways to compensate for the beast. Worst case scenario, they just leave it behind and the ranger will have to tame a new one. If the DM is feeling generous, they can plan their encounters around it a bit or come up with some magical way to circumvent these checks for the beast.
>>
>>52981993
This is why I only ever play a beastmaster if I can pick a birb.
>>
say it with me: hobgoblins are the most powerful race in the world
>>
>>52983997
'How do you want to do this' is for when your players are too lazy to at least give a simple descriptor of their attack each time.
>>
>>52983511
But you're jumping to a point straight up anon.
>>
>>52984556
To be honest, I don't want my players roleplaying every single attack unless the circumstances call for some cool description.
We get it, you swing your axe real hard. Let us get through the combat.
A killing blow makes sense to highlight, especially if it's a boss battle or some shit.
>>
>>52983997
I play with people who prefer SkullGirls over Mortal Kombat, so no, I don't use fatalities.
>>
>>52984621
If forced to rp my moves, I'd probably make every attack a groin shot.
>>
>>52984556
Actually when I DM, I describe how the attacks land (or don't land), unless they make called shots. Otherwise I only have the players describe killing blows. I find it's also a nice reward for combat-oriented characters who may have less to do when in town or whatever.
>>
>>52984556
sometimes you need to just do stuff quick

>>52984621
a simple "i aim for x general area of their body" is fine

only crits and final blows need special shit though
>>
>>52983477
Mighty Leap explicitly allows you to spend PSI that would let you jump further than your movespeed. I think it's safe to assume that you can move further than your speed with it.
>>
>>52984763
>called shots

does this affect the quality of the hit in any way or is it purely descriptive?
>>
>>52984792
It's very simple to just add a few words to the attack such as 'As the creature is distracted with Bob, I'll rip up its back from behind.' rather than 'I attack the creature attacking Bob.'
And then if they die, you don't have to ask how they want to kill them and you can describe it based on what they said, and it flows much more naturally than 'Okay, you've killed them, but let's go back in time so you can describe it for me'.

>>52984621
If your combat devolves into 'I attack X' then honestly you should be playing 4e.
It seems weird to jump from pure mechanics to 'Okay, let's suddenly start talking about how you kill these creatures'
And some people would rather the DM handles it anyway, not everybody has a boner for 'cool send-offs'.

>>52984763
Yeah. Something like that. 5e's combat really should be more narrative, since it's otherwise not too messy.
>>
Can a wizwang use the prestidigitation cantrip to cheat at cards by creating the card he needs? Possibly also with a bit of sleight of hand?
>>
>>52983277
Jumping isnt Falling, duh.
>>
>>52985064
lol the chances of someone else having the same card though
>>
>>52985064
You need to say something and wave your hands or fingers about to do it. It's also a good way to get stabbed when you're playing, show your cards and then find out someone else has the card you just made
>>
>>52981993
I got around this by having a wolf spider, forgot if the rules actually state it can crawl on walls, but dont have to worry about tight spots.
>>
>>52984907
Not them, but personally, it's mostly for flavour, but..

1. If there's a crit, they might damage the part.
2. If it's a kill, it'll determine how the creature is killed.
3. Depending on the body part, it 'might' be damaged anyway. In particular, tougher creatures that take a lot of damage might be have to have this done to them. Say, a stone golem could have its arms smashed in or even its head - it can still function without its head.
Most creatures would be taking severe damage if you ripped off even a part of them, however.
>>
>>52985064
It's a possible and creative use but it'd require some sleight of hand to not show signs that you've cheated - hiding your original card and replacing it after having shown the card for only six seconds. At this point, you might as well just keep a deck of cards on you to swap out.
>>
>>52984925
No, I mean. It's fine to have fluff. But role playing every attack is kind of tedious unless you have something interesting to actually add.
As the DM I do prefer to do what >>52984763
said instead of having players do it. Especially because a player won't know if they hit or not until they roll. Letting players decide the killing blow is a nice reward, especially in a tough battle. And while I don't necessarily use the phrase "how do you want to do this?" When I ask a similar question, they get excited as they know they've won and jump at the chance to make a cool scene for their character.
>>
>>52982153
Just ban Crossbow Expertise, GWM, and Sharpshooter. OR homebrew them into something that isn't broken.

This isn't rocket science, anon.
>>
>>52982221
>UA feats for skills? only decent set of feats they've ever made

It's literally "you have +1 to the relevant ability score and some ribbon text"
>>
Going through the Mystic list of effects and feature progression, almost everything indicates you are supposed to play them as magically enhanced melee fighter, except they baseline lack some very important features to support such playgame, including the high MADness and lack of martial weapon proficiencies and armor.

On the other hand, they ONLY get one improvement to their talent damage, so any pure blaster has to rely almost entirely on spending psi points and the lack of high level spells equivalents only hurt their action economy as even blowing up max psi limit every turn, you are not matching higher leveled spell slots in damage or utility.

I feel like the current Mystic should be split into at least two full classes, if not more, and then rework how they are going to give the new full classes new subclasses that further support each gameplay.

Wu-jen and Nomad are the ones that easily fit the Mystic name and overall theme, while the Awakened could be par of Psion full class. Immortal and his all psychometabolism gig for me should be like a barbarian subclass or something like that, and no idea of where to fit the Avatar, as it doesn't really feel psionic enough outside of rationalizing the source of its powers.
>>
I haven't made a dungeon in years, and now I need to put one together for a semi-low-fantasy setting.

What are some tips for a more "grounded" dungeon and traps? It's going to be a networked connection of old sewers, natural caves, and a forgotten religious structure.
>>
>>52982399
the fuck is PAM?

Polearm Mastery? Polearms suck at base, which makes no sense because they were the favored weapons of society pre-guns for a reason.
>>
>>52985427
I don't know, maybe it's just me then, but it feels incredibly artifical to me to have to ask the players how they want to do it after the act. The DM just has to make the last thing more dramatic.

It's roleplaying every attack, yes, but it requires very little more effort than just saying 'I attack'. If your players are all distracted on their phones then yes, they don't know what's going on and can't roleplay it, or if you do 20 generic combats with nothing interesting and they get bored, but otherwise they should hopefully be able to do it considering they only have a turn at minimum every few minutes.

>>52985569
Polearms are the strongest melee weapons in 5e.
>>
>>52985569
Whats wrong with a polearm? You drop 1-1.5 damage per attack for 5 reach
>>
>>52985569
>suck at base
even without PAM and GWM, Reach is fucking godlike, stop sucking greatsword dick so hard.
>>
>>52983037
No, because their CR limits them to boring shit. They can't even get Ambush Drakes.
>>
>>52985554
The Mystic is
>Duct tape: The Class.
Able to be slapped into any party of 3 and make it work.
>>
>>52985208
So... you just hover in midair after jumping?

Jumping involves falling, you can't jump up and land on the same surface without falling the same distance you jumped
>>
>>52983037
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>52985639
i know and that's how i've played it, i'm just talking about long term identity for a potential full release class.
>>
>>52985509
If there was an alternative so martials could stay on the same footing as casters, or at least close to it, that'd be a viable option. Otherwise you might as well just tell them "don't bother playing a martial just make a spellcaster."
>>
File: 1485714193097.jpg (83KB, 569x571px) Image search: [Google]
1485714193097.jpg
83KB, 569x571px
>>52985427
I used to always find something interesting to do on my turn or at least specify where I was aiming when attacking but now our group's gone from 4 competent players to 6 with 2 chucklefucks that spend 4 minutes trying to remember what their fucking class abilities are and generally not paying attention so I just MMO-style auto attack to speed it up.

>Ok shitfuck it's your turn
>I uh hold on me think (because I guess they weren't when it wasn't their turn?)
>30 seconds later
>I'll cast X to do Y
>"You can't do Y with X, read the ability"
>Oh shit uhh in that case...
>Another 30 seconds, "Hey DM can I do this completely not RAW or RAI thing unrelated to my class ability to break the encounter?"
>no
>Argues with DM for a minute
>Finally just melee attacks
>Repeat EVERY SINGLE TIME IT'S THEIR TURN

mfw
>>
>>52985728
>"don't bother playing a martial just make a spellcaster."

i don't understand why people are so autistic about this, early level spellcasters are complete garbage compared to martials, and most run never make it past the time where spellcasters (at least in 5e) become absolutely centralizing forces of nature.

that run from 1 to 5 is a huge struggle for spellcasters, or at least it have been on all of my tables and by 5th level when you get the big flashy spells, martials already feel complete.
>>
>>52985554
>>52985722

Man this sounds really familiar I wonder what class already out has the same dilemma and restrictions.
>Monks
>>
File: hg.jpg (68KB, 450x702px) Image search: [Google]
hg.jpg
68KB, 450x702px
Browsing through the MM I just noticed something

How is this Hill Giant holding his club? Is it actually sheathed and his hand is just over it?
>>
>>52985805
It's a stick. He's holding it with his hand.
>>
>>52985797
i think baseline monk and open hand are fine, but mystic orders are a complete mess.
>>
>>52984907
It can affect the quality. For example, a player can make a called shot to the eyes. The attack would be more difficult, but could potentially blind the creature. It's pretty situational.
>>
>>52985794
My main question is why is everyone so autistic about those feats? The hp bloat on monsters in 5e pretty much offsets it and due to the design of the action economy no monster should ever face a party alone, because they will get fucked easily.

That's the other thing they feel complete as in everyone bitches about how they don't have a bunch of extra stuff to do in or out of combat. Personally never had this problem at my table and never had the problem all the theory crafters make those feats out to be.
>>
>>52985794
Not that guy but you might wish to check your reading comprehension before complaining about autism.
>>
>>52985805
That's a stick, dude. He's holding a stick.
>>
>>52985805
he's just have very ugly and deformed hands, he's holding it like you hold everything else.
>>
Martials are objectively, and slightly, inferior to Casters in 5e.
>>
>>52985843
Did you look at it? The club would have to be positioned between his middle and index finger. It's thumb isn't even touching it or would be positioned extremely awkwardly. Looks like the club is just coming out of the fingers rather than being held by the hand
>>
>>52985861
They're a complete mess because they pretty much made it to fit any role a party would need. Instead of making the mystic have a solid identity and actually care about what they were making they threw a bunch of shit at the wall and hoped it'd stick.

For the huge amount of utility and adaptability they have they restricted them in the weapon and armor department.
>>
>>52985913
But they're also more fun.
>>
>>52985554
>what is Nomadic Arrow
>what is Psionic Assault
>what is Mastery of Force
>what is Animate Weapon

Or just multiclass into Monk.
>>
File: Capture.png (457KB, 418x656px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
457KB, 418x656px
>>52985924
???
>>
>>52985890
The problem is that what martials are good for is dealing HP damage, and you need some variation or combination of GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter in order to achieve this. They essentially become taxes earmarked for in your character advancement track.

People who misunderstand and instead are bitching that martials do too much damage need to drink some bleach.
>>
>>52985913
They are, it may not be as bad as previous editions but atleast they tried to balance it out this time, key word being tried.

This is coming from someone who loves playing martials. Unless you get creative and become fantasy Macgyver spellcasters can just throw a spell at a problem.
>>
>>52985951
Doubtful. Anything you can do as a martial, a caster can do as well, on top of having access to spells faster and higher than the martial access.
>>
>>52985566
I've always been a fan of bear traps and caltrops.
>>
File: hg.jpg (69KB, 450x702px) Image search: [Google]
hg.jpg
69KB, 450x702px
>>52985967
Oh I can actually see it now, that middle bit looked like a knuckle to me.

Here I was hoping they just held shit in a ridiculous manner
>>
>>52985722
I've done so too, and haven't had any trouble with it. I just wish we had less martials so i could justify going full Hulk.
>>
>>52983277
If you played strictly by the rules then... yeah? But the idea of a creature being able to achieve a jump height that it can't land from seems retarded to me. Your leg muscles should be able to handle it.
>>
>>52982153
+2 strength is weaker than suitable weapon feats so that's a nerf to martials

Also it's more fucking boring.

The problem with feats and weapon feats isn't that they're overpowered, but you're underpowered if you don't take them and they force certain builds.

That's why everybody deserves at least half of the weapon feats for free and THEN you ban weapon feats. BAnning weaponfeats outright just nerfs martials.
>>
>>52985962
but i'm talking about class features, not disciplines.

the fact that they shove stuff into the disciplines just make them taxes into your order's intended design or outright force you to go out of theme for things that should've been right there from the start.

nomadic arrow is built around ranged weapons but the nomad doesn't get any extra ranged weapons compared to the baseline mystic, mastery of force carries the mage armor of the class but it's a wu-jen discipline on a ranged attacking/controlling suite, while also being better than the immortal's AC calculation or the avatar/psiblade's medium armor.

psionic assault only improves your psychic cantrips aka mind thrust and nothing else at all, you get tops 2d10+2 until you get potent psionics but potent psionics gives you 1d8 twice to weapon attacks and just +INT to talents once.
>>
>>52985913
As it should be.
>>
>>52981150
Started with B. 4e is my favorite. Fite me bro.
>>
File: ugly fuck.jpg (141KB, 450x702px) Image search: [Google]
ugly fuck.jpg
141KB, 450x702px
>>52986032
max brightness, min contrast, you can now clearly see part of the fingers and shit. it's just an ugly hand with crappy res.
>>
@52986145
Low quality bait
>>
>>52986266
>men with swords should be on the same level as wizards that can throw fireballs and rain meteors on the planet
>>
>>52985751
Those two would have to shape up or ship out. Not even joking.
>>
@52986309
In a fantasy setting it's entirely possible to make, you're still not getting any (you)s from me.
>>
Are there any rules for falling speed?
>>
File: Yuriel Sharkeater.pdf (82KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Yuriel Sharkeater.pdf
82KB, 1x1px
>>52981761
>>52982542
>>52982580
>>52982963

I have made a lame attempt at creating an NPC, think Davy Jones in PotC.

It's basically a druid/warlock gish. I was going for something at about CR 6 but he's CR 8 apparently
>>
>>52986129
I meant the skills under Psionic Assault, not the focus bonus. Psionic Blast does 6d8 by the time you get Potent Psionics. If you want the Martial ranged weapons, then be an Elf. All their subraces start with a ranged martial proficiency. Or take the Weapon Master feat.
>>
>>52986309
Have you drank an ocean? Hercules did. Cu'culain also did crazy shit that no mere human could achieve. There's tons of precedence for fighters and their ilk to perform huge, majestic feats. Why can't you just let people have fun the way they want to have fun?
>>
>>52986419
>Davy Jones in PotC
Why do this?
>>
Speaking of Mystics, how would you balance discipline acquisition per order?

As it is right now, you could very easily only pick the starting two from your order and everything else from elsewhere and that kinds of defeat the purpose, not that the same isn't true or even worse for wizards but whatever.

Lock some into the order? Give more with the order feature and less with the baseline class (and give some from the immortal or something to the psiblade?), or is it fine as it is?
>>
>>52986463
Cu'culain is the dumbest shit. He's literally deviantart OC-tier
>>
>>52986419
>innate spellcasting (constitution)
is there some precedent for this? sounds retarded.
>>
>>52986482
The starting two are from any order, the rest must be from yours. Half as many disciplines total. Soulknife picks from the immortal? list.
>>
>>52986393
Not as far as I know other than distance fallen damage caps at 20d6.

If you're trying to get all 'Physics' in D&D try something fun, like a muscle wizard casting fly, picking up some huge 250+ lb boulder and dropping it over a castle.

Not sure what the terminal velocity of that would be, but it'd probably do a decent amount of damage. Bonus points if you say fuck it and cast 'enlarge' to make it a 2000lb boulder as it fell.
>>
>>52986123
5e's biggest problem is the lack of decisions to be made about your character after level 3, It NEEDS feats, even if just to make the decision of when you get your main stat to 20 and when you take the feat you need a choice
>>
File: tumblr_nn07afkOh81rv231do1_500.jpg (52KB, 423x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn07afkOh81rv231do1_500.jpg
52KB, 423x750px
>>52986467
>Why do this

Well he's actually a druidic pirate type who has been corrupted by Holashner, an Elder Evil and now his crew instead of being honourable rogues and just boarding and robbing folks who deserved it are now kidnapping a lot of people on the seas for nefarious reasons.

I just wanted a cool pirate who has good water powers and shapeshifting, from being a giant octopus coupled with some sneaky powers like disguise self and suggestion because you know he's been maddened by abolethic power.

>I also like squid-beard aesthetics
>>
>>52986482
I think mystics should get new disciplines slower. Maybe get 1 from your order and one of your choice at the first level and another one from the order at a later level. Maybe take away the disciplines you get at 7 and 15.
And also change the point cap progression. Maybe add another tier to the disciplines that require 8 points or more or change the existing ones.
>>
>>52986514
Congratulations on making a worse class than Wot4e
>>
>>52986510
It's a part of being a water genasi
>>
>>52986123
90+ DPR isn't remotely required to keep up with casters.

Casters aren't that strong.

single concentrate, scaling concentrate checks against constitution, legendary resistances, enemy spellcasters, etc.

This feat business is just powergaming fighter wankery. The system was clearly not designed for that kind of DPR.

If you spreadsheet the average DPR of each class, you'll see that martials are on the top and the full casters are on the bottom. If you factor in nova abilities, long rest uses, spells, and the like, you'll see that Martial classes have few and casters have several.

The two sides are already balanced.

Feats are just broken and throw the system out of balance. Monsters are just not designed around it.
>>
>>52986590
well, now that i think about it, isn't dragonborn breath also a Con DC?
>>
File: You don't say.jpg (27KB, 758x429px) Image search: [Google]
You don't say.jpg
27KB, 758x429px
>>52986662
>Casters aren't as strong as fighters in the one thing fighters are supposed to be good at, DPR
>>
Would a Pathfinder Summoner style class be possible in 5e without being:

a) Overpowered
b) Taking disproportionately long turns
c) Being disproportionately complex to build?
>>
>>52985751
Yeah, what you're talking about it fine so long as it's quick and to the point.
I just don't want a novel every time.
>>
Question:

If I cast sanctuary on my familiar. Then I use the familiar to deliver a touch spell, does sanctuary end?
>>
File: b5a.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
b5a.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
>>52986662
>legendary resistances, enemy spellcasters, etc.
>Implying martials have less defense or utility to overcome these other than DM fist
>Implying casters don't have huge amounts of utility and maybe just maybe that's why they don't do the same DPR as martials
>>
>>52986791
Yes.

>>52986733
No.
>>
>>52986463
Even Zeus' son can't kill someone by speaking a word.
>>
>>52986791
Yes, I'd be exactly as if you had cast sanctuary on yourself then cast a spell.
>>
>>52986733
I don't know what the pathfinder summoner does but

>a) Overpowered
Sure
>b) Taking disproportionately long turns
Probably not unless you are given very simple and straightforward options
>c) Being disproportionately complex to build?
no idea, i don't think there's even way to build complexity in 5e without adding your own set of special snowflake options and several of those at it.

some suite of at-will options and some suite of resources-based options plus a choice of subclasses.
>>
>>52986801
Follow up.
If the familiar takes the help action, would it end?
>>
>>52986793
Oh don't be ridiculous

Warlocks are casters and can easily match martial DPR
>>
>>52986492
it's almost like it was mythological feats

oh wait
>>
>>52986817
No, though the DM may rule that it does as it's an 'offensive action' and that's what sancturary is attempting to stop.
>>
>>52986733
I still think warlock pacts should've been handled better.

Making pact of the chain the arcane pet/summoner class.
Pact of the blade, the hardest hitting melee subclass (make it similar to paladin in terms of strength).
And pact of the tome for utility and a bit of blastiness for those who just want to cast spells.

Anyone wanna redesign warlocks with me?
>>
>>52986344
>I hit people really hard. That makes me as strong as those who weild the power to control life and death.
>>
>>52986849
At yet everyone argues it is the worst caster class, really makes you think doesn't it?
>>
>>52986482
I think the bigger problem is the Psi Point curve. It makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>52986733
Sure.
Don't give extra actions (the summon and the character share the same 'action pool'), don't give point based options but just a few archetypes.
That's it.
If anything, the hard part will be not making it UNDERpowered, like the beastmaster ranger.
>>
@52986866
By hitting really hard you do tend to hold the power over life and death.
>>
>>52986868
It's the same old spell slots, converted to the spell points variant, but leaving out spells of level 6 to 9, the Mystic gets Psionic Mastery for those.
>>
I have a player who wants to change his Wild Shape into Draconic instead of Beast. I'm working with him on an appropriate background (protector of dragons instead of protector of nature kind of thing), but I'm worried about scaling.

Should I hand out higher-tier Wild Shapes as quest 'rewards'? Like he can start out as an Ambush Drake or Psuedodragon, maybe around 3rd or 4th level he gets Guard Drake after a low-tier quest chain, then steadily getting stronger.

Or should I just do the default Wild Shape rules, i.e. anything that is Level/3
>>
>>52986850
...and he had 7 pupils in each eye, and his hair spiked up like a super saiyan, and his knees bent backwards, and blodd spouted from his forehead, and his spear would turn into a thousand mini spears that would explode out of the body of anyone he hit, and his horse was strong enough to fight an army by itself, and he beat all the greatest heroes in the land as a young boy, and...

It's shit.
>>
>>52986868

this pretty much >>52986919
>>
>>52986733
I actually worked on a homebrew Summoner class loosely based off of Pathfinder's for shits and giggles. It's very different functionally though.
>>
>>52986867
>At yet everyone argues it is the worst caster class, really makes you think doesn't it?
That's unfair, nobody is playing 6-8 encounters per long rest with 2 short rests in between.
Play the system as intended, and long rest casters will have to spread thinner than warlocks.
>>
>>52986948
Oh, I didn't even notice that lol. It just seemed weird that every 3 levels you got HUGE BOOSTS instead of a steady rise. Going from 4 to 6 to 14 is kind of odd to me.
>>
>>52986867
>Warlock
>worst caster

Do people not understand how to Eldrtich Blast?
>>
>>52986889
>swords can bring people to life
>martials can speak the word of death
wew
>>
Anyone have a pdf of that homebrew dragonborn barbarian path?
>>
>>52986999
If reality doesn't explode at your whim, you are worst caster, even if you pull the party's collective asses out of the fire in combat.
>>
>>52987008
too many anime fans desu

they think swords can measure up to supreme magical might
>>
File: 1425432160439.gif (168KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1425432160439.gif
168KB, 600x450px
>only caster in my party
>players OOC complain when I use magic to trivialize obstacles
>>
>>52986972
I understand that, however not every DM is going to force their narrative to fit such a play style. I do it from time to time but it is when A) the party is delving into a dungeon B) clearing out a safe house or C) part of a bigger battle.

WotC built the class thinking people would only run a very specific type of adventuring day, and that's why it's seen as the worst caster class because hardly anyone does.
>>
>>52984898
Mighty Leap explicitly allows you to jump as part of your movement. Compare that to other powers that let you spend a bonus action to increase your movement, or teleport but cost you all your movement. It's just like normal jumps with the sole exception of not being based on your Strength.
>>
>>52985388
Yeah, I figured as much. The post I replied to kind of implied that a called shot would be a normal attack, and I wanted to know if there'd be riders attached to it.
>>
File: 1493400615245.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493400615245.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
@52987008
What is luck blade, and they speak the word of death by stabbing someone.
>>
>>52986999
Warlock is functionally a martial that has access to a few spells.
>>
>>52981486
All you need is a razor, scissors and some barber foams and shampoos. Less than 20 gold imo. Razors and shampoos gonna cost a few gold a month.
>>
>>52987092
>@
Why
>>
>>52987093
Warlocks are more like rangers with their EB spam.

The best way to get the most out of your warlock is to pick spells that scale with spellslots and also get lots of short rests in. I typically get around 3 short rests per session, and I make sure to liberally use my spells, otherwise I'm not playing to my full potential.
>>
>>52987128
Can't give people he doesn't like (You)'s
>>
>>52987092
Any martial should be able to Power Gesture: Kill for more than 100 damage by level 9 anyway
>>52987128
They are passive-aggressively denying each other (you)s
>>
>>52987128
He's trying to make some kind of point.
>>
>>52987161
>they
>each other
It's just one poster.
>>
File: spear and shield.jpg (42KB, 600x484px) Image search: [Google]
spear and shield.jpg
42KB, 600x484px
Is there some sort of shield I can equip that still allows the use of a two handed weapon
>>
>>52987161
Nothing passive aggressive about it, I said it right at the beginning not my fault people can't read.
>>
>>52987092
>Martials can totally do that, they just need help from magical artifacts, casters, and supernatural beings. They're totally as strong.
>Engaging a target in melee combat is literally the same as uttering a single word.
You're on a roll, pal.
>>
>>52987232
Yes, there is, you are still replying to him.
>>
>>52986580
>class with 20+ "spells" off a pretty varied list
>enough resources to actually use them
>actually very useful class features on top
>and cantrips

how is that worse than wot4e, this is as good as sorcerer at least
>>
>>52987230
Yes, it's called a shield, and you put it on your back and it does nothing.

Follow-up question: Is there some sort of a greatsword that I can equip that gives me +2 AC for free?
>>
>>52987053
>Wizard doing lots of subtle, helpful things out of combat. Rituals galore.
>In combat mostly battlefield control, disables, and support
>Frequently don't need to cast a valuable spell or it's a bad opportunity. So fire a crossbow

>Every session get called out for actually being an archer, we've never seen you 'cast a spell', because the only wizards/magic users they're used to is magic missile and scorching ray spam.

Wizard life is suffering. When I can finally cast a good Web their brains are probably going to break.
>>
>>52986854
I'm down. Did you have any mechanical changes you wanted to make to the base class first?

Just fyi I'm mostly just here for you to bounce ideas off of.
>>
@52987243
Thanks m8

>>52987270
I see you're new to the art of shitposting
>>
>>52987297
What the hell are you playing that doesn't involve the firebolt cantrip?
>>
>>52987232
It's definitely passive-aggressive, as it's a means to reply while giving an unsaid "fuck you" to someone you percieve as trolling.
>>
>>52987243
A single word that will only kill one creature with less than 100 hit points once per day, a feat any martial of equivalent level can perform in a couple of rounds for free.
>>
>>52987287
kek
>>
>>52987332
Got 16 dex at level 3
So xbow is +5 d8+3
vs Firebolt +5 d10

Once I hit 4th I'm taking a damage cantrip, probably firebolt (but the DM seems to like devils so maybe something not fire related)
>>
>>52986926
I would find that pretty hard to balance my dude
>>
>>52987355
Doesn't it just happen? Like, no attack roll or save DC, it just kills the duder.
>>
>>52987243
I don't think it's as effortless as just saying a word if it's a 9th level spell you can only use once a day and it takes an action.
>>
File: retard.jpg (19KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
19KB, 211x244px
>>52987297
>using a crossbow as a wizard
>ever
You should stick to martials, casters are clearly too mentally taxing for you.
>>
>>52987280
>Max 4 cantrips, all of them with saving throws.
>Max 4 Disciplines.

It'd be boring as hell.
>>
File: Dungeon_of_Caution.jpg (171KB, 600x765px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon_of_Caution.jpg
171KB, 600x765px
>>52981010
>How did you frighten your PCs
Have not had a chance to do so myself in 5e. My DM on the other hand has done a good job so far. 2 wolves with max HP vs. 2 level 1 PCs (fighter and barbarian) was painful (because as the barbarian I forgot to rage), threw a Tanarukk at a barbarian and a druid (both level 3) with 2 supporting NPCs (healer went down but we survived), and most recently being charmed by an Iron Shadow while raging and ending-up attacking the party (once morning comes my PC is gonna have to explain that shit).

There is also the fact that in our current campaign Orcs and Hobgoblins are working together to ravage civilization which given both sides whole devotion to their gods is greatly concerning since they SHOULD NOT be able to cooperate in any long-term constructive manner.
>>
>>52986926
>player who wants to change his Wild Shape into Draconic instead of Beast
>I'm worried about scaling

hue
>>
>>52987423
Shouldn't it be 5 disciplines?
4 disciplines still equals to ~15-20 spells. Is being a caster boring to you?
>>
>>52987161

> 100 damage a round

How would you possibly do 100 damage at level 9 with something like a rogue?
>>
>>52987579
Hasted meme of Held-Action-Sneak-Attack.
>>
>>52987492
Disciplines are like spells, but not spells.
A wizard doesn't have to learn Firebolt, Fireball, Wall of Fire and Fire Storm to get to use one of them.

>>52987579
Got me there, didn't think about them.
>>
>>52987411
A crossbow allows him to not be entirely useless at lower levels while maintaining a greater sense of utility out of combat. Not everyone tries to play a minmaxed murderhobo.
>>
>>52987603

But sneak attack damage is limited to once per round.
>>
>>52987635
No, it's limited to once per turn. You can get Sneak Attack by attacking on other turns by things like Commander's Strike, Readied Attacks, Opportunity Attacks, etc.
>>
>>52987635
Once per turn. Ready an attack with the extra haste action that happens after your turn ends, the hope the DM is enough of a pushover to allow it.
>>
>>52987635
Once per turn.
>>
>>52987658
>>52987660
>>52987662

eyy 3 people in the space of 12 seconds lol
>>
>>52983784
A mountain goat, bighorn sheep
>>
>>52987619
Not taking one of the multiple damaging cantrips on the wizard spell list, all of which you will be more accurate with than a crossbow (unless you failed at assigning ability scores as well), isn't minmaxing. It's being deliberately retarded.
>>
@52987338
Once again if it were passive I wouldn't have said anything, I made it blatantly obvious what was happening your autism is showing m8.
>>
>>52987728
*not minmaxing
>>
>>52987383
>Got 16 dex at level 3
Have 16 dex at level 3
OR
Got 16 dex at level 1

I suppose is what you mean, and well, yeah, sure. it does more damage than a cantrip but firebolt has a lot more of range, some utility and you still want free hands for your focus plus components.

firing a crowbow requires two hands so either you are dropping your focus or your dm is just handwaving everything your way.
>>
>guy who doesn't roleplay and plays a class archetype he thinks is boring says he didn't have much fun
>>
>>52985794
Speak for yourself. My level 1 wizard is the party tank
>>
>>52987658
>>52987660
>>52987662

Ehhh... smells like rules lawyery bullshit to me.

> it says once a turn so I can do it once for every turn taken by anyone if I can find the action economy to allow it
>>
What kind of intelligent monsters would build a tomb in the mountains? I was thinking of Hobgoblins or Kobolds
>>
>>52987772
This is when you take a walk and go for ice cream or a slushy. Just freeze your brain.
>>
>>52987786
either your party is tota dog shit or your dm is mentally retarded. power to you either way, i guess.
>>
>>52987796
Rounds and turns are different things, mate. They could have fixed it in an errata if they wanted to. Usually this can be taken advantage of with opportunity attacks.
>>
>>52987805
giants, dwaves, etc.
>>
>>52987796
Are... are you a r-retard, senpai?
That's what turn, you know, means. Its fucking stupid as hell to complain about people who can use an ability that's 1/turn, being able to use it 1/turn.
There are a number of powers that are only "one on each of your turns."
Using Haste from a party member as a pro rogue argument is of course fucking moronic, but there are better ways to use a reaction for attacks.
>>
>>52986972
What is the usual rate?
>>
>>52987872
>>52987848
Stop eating the bait, retards.
>>
>>52987824
false life
>>
>>52987796
I mean, if it wasn't intended, all Wizards had to do was say "Once per round, you can deal an extra blah blah blah."

Getting extra Sneak Attacks off on other peoples' turns requires either party synergy (which should be rewarded with better fighting ability, so no problem there) or magic resource spending (when it's honestly better to Haste a fighter or paladin).

Just let rogues do their thing mang, it's not like they're that much better than the other martials.
>>
>>52987890
>5-8 temp hp as an action
>also uses a spell slot when you have 2
wew lad
>>
>>52987811
It was after the game, anyway. He's not the most fun guy to play with, he's been playing an abjuration wizard who really just exists to Haste the monk player, and was playing a Champion fighter in yesterday's game since the usual DM is out for a month. Like, Champions are super basic, yeah, but it pretty much gives you agency to act like Hercules or something.
>>
File: really makes you think.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you think.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
>>52987890
>1d4+4 temporary HP for 1 hour makes you a tank
Whatever you say, bud.
>>
>>52987436
god damnit anon

>>52987388
It fits pretty well with the campaign I'm running (Highly Dragon-centric), so I'm willing to put in the extra effort. I just wanted some outside feedback
>>
Level 3 party starting.

What's the best caster? I'm assuming this will last until level 5 but who knows. Base book only.
>>
>>52988027
You want either wizard or cleric. Ignore the bard memes.
>>
>>52988027
Wizard or bard. Wizard's good because wizard, bard is good because they can get the key wizard spells you want, and more.
>>
>>52988027
Wizard and bard, but really anything is acceptable besides warlock and sorcerer.
>>
>>52988079
Warlock isn't really a caster. It's a ranged blasting class with access to lots of magical abilities and very, very few spells. Which is a unique way to play, but it's not /really/ a caster.
>>
>>52988050
>Ignore the bard memes.

Mad Ranger who is upset even Bards are better than them.
>>
>>52987890
>5~8 temp. hp
>on a 1d6 chassis with no weapon or armor proficiencies
yeah, how about no.
>>
>>52987728
Until level 4, his dex is the same as his int. +1 to hit is still weaker than +2 to damage, however, in this case.

At level 5, might as well use firebolt instead.

Anon is clearly playing below level 5.
>>
>>52988130
Warlocks are basically what happens if you give Rangers the Eldritch Knight subclass.
>>
>>52988050
>>52988077
>>52988079
>>52988130

Wizard interests me, Bard seems less interesting... My party is probably a bunch of melee monkeys.

Warlock seems cool but I don't know how good it is. I'm just not sure what kind of spells I can cast at level 3 as I've never played 5th before. Nuking things is definitely on the menu, though.
>>
>>52988027
l o r e b a r d
>>
>>52988182

Can you elaborate please?
>>
>>52988027
Wizard is the best 'caster' but moon druid is the best 'caster with benefits' with lore bard close behind.
>>
>>52987848
>>52987872
>>52987919

Still looks rules lawyering. Rogues are fragile utility characters and it's broken if they start doing more damage than the Fighter or Ranger. It's already bad enough that 5e made it so easy to get SA.
>>
>>52988174
Bard can go ranged, they can do whatever once they hit Magical Secrets. Warlocks are decent at nukes, though they cast a lot differently than the other casters.
>>
>>52988211
if you have tons of melee monkeys you want a strong utility suite that can support them without needing to expend too many resources.

a wizard would also work, but the bard can fill any niche your party might require, specially healing.

dissonant whispers can trigger opportunity attacks and instantly destroy a surrounded monster, tasha's and sleep can let you ignore parts of the encounter until you took care of other threats, faerie fire can give your melee monkeys tons of extra damage, healing words can keep them fighting past KO with your bonus action, you get full spellcasting progression and access to all spells in the game, cutting words to turn hits into misses and after all of that, you are a supreme skill monkey that get's to had half-proficiency to his counterspell roll.

just don't expect to do any damage if you are not building yourself for it, you can use ranged dex weapons early on but it's usually not worth it, even the 1d4 of vicious mockery can be more useful do to the disadvantage on hit than any damage you could potentially make.
>>
I am fighting another group main party so i need to create a lvl 11 character, what is a broken build?
>>
>>52988329
also instruments of the bards is godlike if you have a dm that doesn't hate you, and if you are a no-damage bard, your dm probably doesn't hate you, even if you are carrying the weight of the party silently.
>>
>>52988332
Ranger with Hunter subclass.
>>
>>52988332
Nuclear druid if UA is allowed

Lucky diviner is probably pretty obnoxious if you're trying to fight another party

Oathbreaker paladin is not only great at DPR, but has ridiculous fucking burst is probably brilliant against another party.

Necromancer wizard is probably one of the most powerful things if you can counterspell their AoE attacks and have time to set up a zombie army which you waste most of your spell slots on every day.

Really, if you're doing PvP, something has gone terribly wrong.
>>
>>52988407
Friend haves a campaign, he is doing a campaign finale, he invited me and other two friends to be BBEG
>>
>>52988452
Ah. Sounds alright, what level and composition are they?
>>
>>52987973
I feel sorry for you anon
>>
>>52988452
What kind of things are allowed?

Are you allowed to use UA?

Are you allowed to be OP?
>>
>>52988452
>>52988532
Oh, also, what levels and how many of them are there?

If you're by yourself, you really will have to be OP to survive given action economy and being incredibly squishy.
>>
>>52988452
>he invited me and other two friends to be BBEG
I think the only option is going Oathbreaker x Death Domain with maybe a filler of Necromancer.

Aura of Malice adds your Charisma to EVERY undead within your aura, so have a small horde of skellimellies, somehow stop a possible cleric from turning them all, and proceed to impart death.
>>
>>52988511
>>52988532
>>52988575
i have to talk about using UA with the dm but i dont think he will say no, also they are like 4-5 lvl 12 guys, but we have an small army of demons or something
>>52988578
where do i find the oathbreaker paladin? player handbook?
>>
>>52987579
Assassinate, 18 dex, Giant Scorpion Poison, +2 Hand Crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

+10 +10 / 2d6+16+4d10+10d6+2d6+16+4d10

If both attacks hit and one save is made... 124 damage.
>>
>>52988297
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/18/sneak-once-per-turn/

Usually when something is RAW but not RAI, Crawford says the rules "isn't intended" to work that way. No such caveat here.
>>
>>52988297
Even with these shenanigans that require a lot of party synergy and planning, Rogues do less damage than Paladins, Fighters, Barbarians, and Revised Rangers. They do beat out Monks, but Monks are supposed to be controllers and not damagers.

You could put the same effort of synergy and buffing into making a Fighter do more damage and it would pay off more. It's just a neat trick that Rogues can use.
>>
Alright, rephrasing my previous question -

If I want to be a nuke spellcaster, what is the best nuker starting at level 3 and potentially ending at 5.
>>
>>52988452
If you want to be annoying and put out good damage numbers, Sorlock (Sorc 9 / Warlock 2) will let you fire 6 eldritch blast bots (plus repelling blast!) every turn, while invisible for advantage or flying or on a mount.

As has been mentioned, however, Oathbreaker is hardy between hit die and CHA to saves and CHA to damage and also buffs nearby undead if given minions through Animate Dead.
>>
>>52988616
dungeon master's guide under villainous class options.

protip, you can fit 12 skeleton archers under you aura of hate*.
>>
>>52988616
DMG

And in 5e tools linked on the first post
>>
>>52988616
>1 level 1 against 4-5 level 12s

Assuming their party is somewhat balanced, nuclear druid would probably get counterspelled / have shield used against it unless you know what you're doing, and I doubt you know what you're doing.

So oathbreaker would be your best bet.

You buff fiends near you and you can do ridiculous burst, especially if you attack on a crit.
Oathbreaker is also notably evil, too.

Go variant human or half-elf, pick up PAM and then up your charisma to 20 before upping strength to 20.
>>
>>52988649
Divination wizard, I suppose. If only because they get arcane recovery. Evocation wizards only get 'avoid hurting teammates' and divination can be used to ensure enemies fail saves.
>>
>>52988717

Thank you. This is all doable with PHB only, right?
>>
>>52987394
There's no attack roll or saving throw, but the target has to have less than 100 hit points or the spell doesn't work.
>>
>>52985973
>you need some variation or combination of GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter in order to achieve this
But you don't. Your party will deal enough damage even if you don't take damage focused feats.
>>52986123
>+2 strength is weaker than suitable weapon feats so that's a nerf to martials
It's not so much weaker as it is basically necessary for a feat that is "You deal more damage in melee combat with polearms, (or heavy weapons)" has to make you deal more damage than if you just took +2 Str to warrant being a feat at all. It's a more specific benefit, so it has to be numerically more effective within its niche. As is, GWM and PM are both barely over the value of going from 16 to 18 or 20 strength on average, so it only pays to take them if you can focus on their niche (like barbarians with Reckless Attacks) or take them both together for their synergy.

Then people take the "fight with this specific weapon this specific way" feat combination and complain that they have nothing else to do in combat. No shit, you took the niche power option instead of general combat ability option.

>>52986129
First, Disciplines are class features. Second, potent psionics boosts weapons at two different points because Talents already scale on their own.

>>52986662
Healer and Inspiring Leader feats are broken too. They give the party too much HP. It doesn't actually matter. You don't need to have it to play the game, and having it doesn't actually break the game.

>>52986926
>To go BoF or not to go BoF.
I think you should go Breath of Fire on it, as long as you're homebrewing the thing to begin with. That means gaining forms as the story progresses, if you don't know BoF.
>>
>>52987071
Doing one thing and then going home to rest isn't an adventure. It isn't even work, for most people. It's an errand. It's an errand on your day off if you're lazy. You're lazy.
>>
>11th level Oathbreaker V.human with Polearm Master
>20 Cha, 16 Str and Mounted Combatant or 20 Cha, 18 Str
>Find Steed -> Warhorse Skeleton
>Somehow manage to Control Undead an Alhoon
Have your Necromancer reanimate as many skeletons as possible, get him to reanimate your Death domain cleric and convince your DM it lets them add their proficiency to his rolls, have him walk around you for maximum pain.
Attack always with advantage due to horse, maybe get the necromancer to cast Haste on you and only smite on crits.

12 skellies with shortbows are doing 12d6+84 per turn for you, it's going to be lovely.
>>
File: disbelief.jpg (84KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
disbelief.jpg
84KB, 700x520px
>>52988618
>requires a specific build with specific feats, poison, a magic weapon, and surprised enemies
Yep, clearly something every martial will be capable of at 9th level.
>>
Our group has to defeat 3 Werewolves next session though they're scattered around so each combat will be seperate. We have a Loremaster, a Paladin, and a Barbarian. None of us have silvered weapons.
We have a Potion of Fire breathing and a Potion of Growth.

Last time we went up against a Werewolf I raged and grappled it as the Barb and let the other two wail on him. It took a while.
Would it be better to restrain the Werewolf with rope while I'm grappling it?
>>
>>52987767
Can't you interact as a free action? Take hand off xbow and grab focus, cast.
Next turn if want to cast keep hand on focus if now free act xbow then fire
>>
>>52988949
>>52988949
>>52988949
>>
>>52988925
>Loremaster
Just have him cast a Strength-save Hold Person from 1 mile away or some shit
>>
>>52988618
Why did you even bother mentioning the crossbow was +2? It isn't necessary to go over 100 damage?
>>
>>52988925
But at least one martial is capable of it at 9th level, so by 17th level (the point at which you actually get 9th level spell slots) plenty more martials will be able to put out a hundred damage.
>>
>>52989009
Yep, when I mentioned the joke I meant level 17.
>>
>>52988785
Yes.
Scorching ray is probably best at level 3-4 and being something like sorcerer wouldn't use scorching ray any better (Can't twin it, can't use fire sorcerer's level 6).

You could also go warlock for better cantrips, which is a good idea if the DM likes to do long slogs of a day instead of very short adventuring days.
You can also do hex + eldritch blast -> next turn, scorching ray.
>>
>>52987383
If you want one good attack cantrip, I think Chill Touch is the best. Necrotic is a good damage type.

>>52987767
But anon, the crossbow can shoot up to 320' range. That's more than Fire Bolt.

And you don't have to hold your focus. You just need access to it when you need to use it. It's the RAI clarification that a focus works when you hold it, RAW is just that you need a free hand.
>>
>>52987796
It's not just legal, it's intended. Don't turn your back on a rogue.
>>
>>52989064
>But anon, the crossbow can shoot up to 320' range.
only with disadvantage, light crossbows functional range is only 80ft.
>>
>>52988329
>bards know every spell in the game.
That's the meme.
>>
>>52989139
but that's not what i said?????

>access to all spells in the game
deny this, you fucking memelord.
>>
>>52988852
>But you don't. Your party will deal enough damage even if you don't take damage focused feats.

Let me rephrase: martials, particularly fighters and barbarians, have dealing damage as their one purpose in life.

By saying they shouldn't do this, because everyone else contributing is enough, then you've invalidated the entire reason for taking the classes since they could just play something with more out of combat utility.
>>
>>52988452
V.Human CE Moon Druid-11

STR 8, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10.
Saves: Str+0, Dex+3, Con+8, Int+4, Wis+8, Cha+1
Feats: Sentinel, Warcaster, Resilient (CON)

AC 21 (+2 Studded Leather, Dex+2, +2 Shield, Ring of Protection)
HP 91

Thornwhip +9/3d6

Spell Save DC15
Spells Prepared: 14
Cantrips: Thornwhip, Guidance, Mending, Druidcraft
Spells Prepared: Animal Messenger, Speak With Animals, Longstrider, Thunderwave, Pass w/o Trace, Spikd Growth, Conjure Animals, Dispel Magic, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Elemental, Awaken, Giant Insect, Conjure Fey.

Staff of the Woodlands, Studded Leather +2, Shield+2, Ring of Protection, Stone of Summoning Earth Elementals, Ring of Elemental Control (Earth), Many Potions of Healing, Many Scrolls with Conjure Spells.

You worship Talona, lady of disease and poisons and view ruthlessly culling the herd as your task in maintaining the balance. In combat you drop conjurations and run away, slipping thru stone and earth with the power of your ring. You provide near unlimited Giant Scorpion Venom to your allies thru the use of the Giant Insect spell. If pressed, you can summon an Earth Elemental and wildshape into an Earth Elemental. Then use Earthglide and burrow to strike from beneath your foes, protected by the very ground they walk on. Use Sentinel feat to attack anyone who attacks your Elemental ally. Grapple foes from below and drag them beneath the earth and entomb them. You have a large army of Awakened Trees, Awakened Giant Apes, Awakened T-Rexes and Awakened Elephants. (Staff of the Woodlands allows you to cast Awaken w/o material components). As part of a deal with the Grandmother of Assassins, you have many mounted archer Assassins with poisoned arrows hiding in the howdahs of your elephant cavalry.

Dont forget to cast Awaken on any ranger beast companions and steal them.
>>
>>52988329
>the bard can fill any niche your party might require, specially healing.
>dissonant whispers
>tasha's and sleep
>faerie fire
>healing words
>half-proficiency to his counterspell roll

>>52989247
>access to all spells in the game
No, you get Counterspell and Aura of Vitality, apparently, and that's it.
>>
>>52988925
The question was how does a rogue do 100+ damage. Not every martial.
>>
>>52988993
Because its likely that a 9th level Assassin would have a +2 weapon.
>>
>>52989257
>martials, particularly fighters and barbarians, have dealing damage as their one purpose in life.
>Martials: Fighters, Barbarians, Rogues, Monks, Rangers, Paladins, and arguably Warlocks have one purpose: Dealing damage.
You're so far up your own ass, it's no wonder you're unbalanced.
>>
>>52989040
You might get more mileage out of Flaming Sphere if you are fighting a lot of minions. And Suggestion+Portent is better than Scorching Ray if you have a decent party backing you up.
>>
>>52989437
Do explain to me what role Fighters and Barbarians have in combat other than reducing enemy HP.
>>
>>52988908
Give the Skeletons Heavy Crossbows and Scale Mail.
>>
>>52989339
My biggest issue with bards is their absolutely piss poor AC (for lore anyway)
Though a valor bard may be able to be decent with medium armour and a shield but they lose out on the cool 6th level magical secrets
>>
>>52989492
Can you include two things in a suggestion or just one?

For example is "Give me your sword then walk to Waterdeep" too complicated?
>>
School of divination or transmutation?
>>
>>52989522
Shield Master+Prot. FS make for pretty tanky Fighters and Paladins. Barb can tank also. So absorbing enemy attacks can be the primary job instead of DPR. Monks revolve around Stunning Strike and are mobile control. Monk damage is pretty mediocre.
>>
>>52989619
There are no aggro mechanics in 5e - a Bear Totem Barbarian is a target like anyone else, and thus their target priority comes only from how much they are contributing to the fight.

The shit you mention only works if the DM plays this shit like it's an MMO and the Fighter or Barbarian or whatever 'pulls' by going in first and therefore all the critters swarm them while the wizard or whatever safely flings spells from behind.
>>
>>52989609
I dont see why not, but its really up to your DM. As worded, I would rule that your suggestion is poorly roleplayed and would sound unreasonable to the target.

My usual suggestion is along the lines of "You're really tired, you should go get ready for bed."

If I needed them to give me their weapon and fuck off I'd word it like "You should go to Waterdeep immediately and collect 10000 gold from Agmar the Merchant Who Hates Swords. I'll hold onto your sword while you're out, for safekeeping.

I once had an NPC villain proclaim "Lolth's butt spinners! Your Paladin is possessed by Orcus!" as a suggestion.
>>
>>52989731
Compelled Duel. Panache. Implacable Mark.
>>
>>52989731
As a tank, you run up and engage as many enemies as you can to threaten Attacks of Opportunity. The Sword and Board Fighter can Shove and use Maneuvering Strike and Pushing Attack to arrange things so the squishies dont get squished. It works pretty good, especially in the narrow confines of a dungeon.
>>
>>52989801
And the squishies, for their part, don't stand within a move and attack distance of the enemies when there is more room to maneuver.
>>
>>52989801
UA aside, you only get one opportunity attack. Unless you have Sentinel, they can just walk past you, and if you have Sentinel, they have what, a 1 in 3 chance of just walking past you - and this is for one enemy only.

I guess this is viable if you fight in a narrow tunnel where you can just block with bodies and be a literal meat wall? Though in those cases, with the enemies so funneled in, casters can have a field day with their AoEs.
>>
>>52989912
You only need to stop them from all ganging up on whoever they want. If anyone could handle all the enemies attacking only them, it would be a barbarian, but this is D&D, not WoW. You just can't expect anyone to stand up to that kind of damage, and there's no pocket healer to keep you topped off.
>>
>>52982221
What does it feel like to have brain damage?
>>
>>52989801
>>52989878

Ok, got it. Battles involve everyone constantly dashing until the squishies don't have any more room to maneuver, at which point the sword and board fighter shoves the enemies so they have to spend 10-15 feet of movement to get back in position to attack the squishies, which is no impediment whatsoever.
>>
So I thought of this yesterday and what a shock I actually have the chance to DM a game soon.

Because I'm sick to death of how necessary GWM/PAM/SS are even when I'm playing a martial, I'm going to change those feats and remove the +10/extra attack parts.

To make up for this I'm giving ALL Weapon Attacks +Proficiency to damage. So at lower levels where the +10 is retardedly powerful they're getting +2/+3 damage, and at higher levels where the damage is more required people are getting +4/+5/+6 to all weapon attacks with no hit to accuracy.

I was going to change the weapon feats to be +1 to a stat and their secondary effects. Thoughts on this people?
>>
>>52982399
I just houserule as DM that GWM doesn't work on reach weapons and Sharpshootet doesn't work on crossbows. Problem solved and powergamers defeated
>>
Does giving Sorcerers 50% more spell points and 30% more spells known with access to the full Wizard spell list fix them or break them? They seem pretty shitty
>>
Maybe not boost sorcery points since that makes it better than arcane recovery
>>
>>52991897
Spellpoint variant but let Sorcery Points and Spellpoints be the same pool.

Also give them an extra spell know every even level.
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.