[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 401
Thread images: 30

File: The end.jpg (126KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The end.jpg
126KB, 1024x1024px
>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/.
>>52981010

How do you handle character death?
>>
>>52988949
haven't had to because my dm is a pansy.
>>
>>52988949
Only die in convenient places, such as immediately before freeing a genie able to grant a wish
Then convince the party rogue that he shouldn't just wish for loads of money
>>
>>52988949
Immediately pull out a new filled in character sheet
>>
>>52988852
>General combat ability option

Unless your DM is REALLY crazy about making combat exciting and puts shit everywhere and encourages players to really interact with the environment, throw shit, use magical items that don't happen to be the weapon type you're specialized in, there's barely any downside to specializing.

'I attack with a greatsword' isn't much different to 'I attack with a halberd'.
>>
>>52988949
Make a new character. I die so often I've given up caring and just make stupid builds characters like str wizards and elemental monks
>>
>>52989081
>elemental monks
It's rare to meet somebody who actually played one. What's your experience?
>>
>>52988949
Our cleric died towards the beginning of the campaign. He and my paladin were buddies, so I carried his body back to town and gave his temple money for a funeral/burial worthy of his honorable sacrifice.
>>
>>52988949
Didn't have a PC die yet, but I'm planning if their health is low enough, I'll have bgm of a heart beating and slowly make it louder the closer to death they are then stop it once they die.
>>
>>52988949
>How do you handle character death?
Like candy.
>>
>>52988949

Raise Dead and similar spells mean that if the PCs die there is typically going to be a way for the party to restore them assuming nothing like a TPK is happening.

Heavy duty resurrection magic is much less common but occasionally a high priest will restore a champion of legend to life for divine reasons.

Death is still a big deal and most NPCs don't have the expectation of endlessly coming back from the dead.

For most people they have no desire to be restored to life if they've gone onto become a petitioner in service of their chosen deity.
>>
>Tired of 3.5
>Decide to check out 5e
>Looks good so f-
>Bards have 9th level spell casting
>Spells are basically the same shit as 3.5

What the fuck?
>>
>>52989081
Have you tried not being a complete retard?
>>
>>52989108
I promise you it won't be as cool as you think it is.
>>
>>52989274
>Spells are basically the same shit as 3.5
It might look that way on the surface, but everything changes when you keep concentration in mind.
>>
>>52989296
Now that I think about it, probably.
>>
>>52989307
Oh okay, I was beginning to suspect 5e was just another 3.5 homebrew.
>>
>>52989093
Got a story just for that

>Party is boarding a boat to save some captives
>Enemy wizard slaver leader standing at the front of the boat casting spells.
>Friendly monk decides to use Fist of Unbroken Air. Wizard fails his Strength Save spectacularly, launched 20ft off the boat.
>Both his focus and spellbook fall off his person and sink into the water, irretrievable
>MFW I'm the party Wizard that just yelled 'I need that book!' and would have gotten lightning bolt for free.

Other than that, nothing else to report.
>>
>>52989274

The power differentials between casters and non-casters are dramatically reduced in 5e vs 3.x/PF.

There are still some so if absolute balance is your goal then 4e might be a better fit but there is way way less casters rule martials drool going on mainly because the spell list has most of the same spells but the effects are dramatically reduced outside of a few egregious examples.

High level casters can still become extremely powerful but they are rarely gamebreakingly powerful and for the levels most people tend to play at 1-12 the balance is generally okay.
>>
what are some interesting backgrounds/plothooks to kickstart characters into CoS?
>>
>>52989324
You know, getting a good grasp of the rulebook would be a good thing to do before you pass judgement.
>>
File: Soldier.pdf (721KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Soldier.pdf
721KB, 1x1px
Rate my homebrew custom class, /5eg/.
>>
I just played my first TTRPG ever, a session of 5e. Pretty fun.
>>
>>52989363
>High level casters can still become extremely powerful but they are rarely gamebreakingly powerful and for the levels most people tend to play at 1-12 the balance is generally okay.

That's not a good thing, this means that 5e has the same issues as 3.5/PF. I'd like to play one game past level 12 without having to worry about having full spell progression.
>>
>>52988949
How to handle a player using wish to wish another PC dead?
>>
>>52989274
5e is really well-balanced. The only bad classes are Elemental Monks (the other sorts are fine) and the default Rangers (but there's was an update that fixed them).

Bards are arguably the best class in the game, but Paladins and Fighters do the most damage at pretty much every level. Every class has its general niche.
>>
>tfw favorite levels are 2-5 but everyone wants to go higher
>>
>>52989451
Stop playing with assholes.
>>
File: thonkat.png (13KB, 136x97px) Image search: [Google]
thonkat.png
13KB, 136x97px
>>52989274
>take cursory glance at book
>immediately pass judgment based on preconceptions
Really gets that noggin rumblin away, don'it
>>
>>52989274
Maybe use google to look up some good reviews of the system rather than read bits and pieces of the phb and then come to get clarification from an anonymous turkish coffee forum.
>>
So what do you guys do to differentiate Gnomes and Halflings in your campaigns?

Are Halflings NotKender! or NotHobbits! and are Gnomes NotSteampunkTinkers!. Do either race show up much as PCs or NPCs?

Do they tend to be extremely stereotyped like most Halflings tend to be more or less Roma/Gypsy wagon/boat dwellers and Gnomes end up being fae tricksters or barely concealed Jewish stereotypes?

Do the Halflings and Gnomes have countries or cities or villages of their own or do they tend to be fully incorporated in a human dominated society?
>>
>>52989485
I don't have gnomes in my campaigns.
>>
>>52989485
We legit just pretend gnomes don't exist since my world's homebrew and nobody in my party has ever expressed any desire to play a gnome.

A major NPC is a halfling however.
>>
>>52989451
Still allows a saving throw at the DC of the spell cast. If you want to punish the player makign the wish, have the wish inform him of who cast the spell/used the wish. "You feel a malevolent dark intent from X, as the ultimate magical power tries to snuff your life out. Roll a (will or fort) save."
>>
>>52989418
stop/10
>>
>>52989483
Look up biased reviews? Why?
>>
>>52989537
No, look up some unbiased reviews.
>>
>>52989560
like from an anonymous turkish coffee forum?

as opposed to dnd
>>
>>52989585
no, go look in the opposite of places where you'd find biased reviews
>>
>>52989440

If you are familiar with the 3.x tier system, outside of a few edge case white room builds the classes all exist pretty much in the 2.5-3.5 tier with the best classes getting up towards 2.5 and the worst classes being in the 3.5 range. UAs have made some improvements so that the most maligned classes (Ranger and Monk) have received unofficial support so that they are less mediocre.

There are some spells that should probably be Noped out of existence mainly because the wording on them is extremely prone to rules lawyering but they are pretty easy to spot and for the most part any internet forum will let you know where they are.

I think the biggest complaint with 5e isn't around combat effectiveness because Martials kick ass in 5e for the most part but around non-combat effectiveness because casters get access to world altering abilities that tend to be out of the reach of most martials.

But 5e doesn't have the issue where casters eliminate the need for a skill monkey and frankly good adventure design should give martials and casters plenty of time to shine in and out of combat.
>>
>>52989526
It just seems like a stupid fucking spell. Like, don't casters get enough shit. A literal blank check to do whatever they want is just icing on the cake.

>>52989468
If only. Unfortunately the group is all my best friends and one edgy teen. The DM is a HUGE pushover, physically incapable of saying no and I know for a fact that as soon as the party wizard gets wish, he's gunning for my PC. (I was the person that foiled his plans to betray the party).
>>
>>52988949
Usually, make a new character - but if there's resurrection magic in the game I allow myself three revives before they grow weary of this mortal coil and can no longer be called back.

We've been in a pretty difficult, brutal game recently where character death has been common. I'm sick of my current character (badly optimized, low health EK I've had since the start) but I made him too fucking good to die more than the one time we got ambushed by a dragon and he got the highest initiative so we couldn't spread out and avoid being AOOd. He is an old man. He longs for the sweet release of death...
>>
Slavery is a big deal in my upcoming campaign, so much so I want to have a Background that is a Slave. What are some suggestions for how I can build this background, what features do you think would be interesting?
>>
>>52989537
You really think /5eg/ is an unbiased information source?
>>
>>52989672
Call yourself Django the Unchained
>>
>>52989642

Sit the PVP dickhead down (I assume it's the edgelord teen) and say that a) PVP drama sucks and makes for a shit game and b) quit trying to make up for what is likely a shitty real world existence by being an alpha douchelord in a table top game.

Basically instead of dealing with passive aggressive shittiness with your own passive aggressive shittiness just deal with it out of character and amazingly enough your game will be so much better.
>>
>>52989440
But spellcasters are almost always going to outshine martials at the highest levels of any tabletop game, because of the nature of magic.

Compared to 3.5/PF though, spellcasters in 5e are much weaker thanks to Concentration, and that most of the more powerful spells use that Concentration slot.

5e does have a problem with combat lasting too long at higher levels, but that's more-so due to number of dice being rolled by both DM and players and the math involved.

And arguably the only reason you want full spell progression is if your DM's plot takes you off the Material Plane.
>>
File: 1354561683939.jpg (458KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1354561683939.jpg
458KB, 960x720px
You know how some groups have that one player that everyone else at the table bullies or makes fun of?

It's all in good fun, but I think there may be a pattern to it. Why does it feel like it's often the people that play half casters? Ranger even makes a lot of sense, since the base class is so lacking.
>>
>>52989485
For my game, Gnomes are the shortest humanoid race, a good 6-12 inches shorter than a Halfling. And compared to Halflings - most of them being either merchants or farmers - Gnomes are scholars, historians, and the more 'intellectual' power base.

There's also far fewer Gnomes than Halflings in my setting, but that's due to other reasons.
>>
>>52989420

Welcome to the club, friend. Hope you enjoy your stay.
>>
>>52989697
The background is for my players. I'm the DM.
>>
>>52989642

Honestly, what >>52989700 said. Also, considering he's an edgy teenager who probably thinks he's tough shit, talk directly to him about him. If he's still an edgy cunt, just fucking punch him.
>>
>>52989409
Skipping the PHB does free up a lot of time for shitposting though
>>
>>52989732
Paladins are hardly lacking.

If half-casters were often the jokes, it's either because

A) Edgy gish wannabes
B) Lawful stupids
C) Wants to be good at everything.
>>
>>52989732
For us it's the guy who makes a ditzy tribal kid then tries to act like "because I have a high wisdom I'd totally know that" or try to twist it into his backstory on the spot.

Also subtly tries to metagame from time to time but I'm not having any of that shit at my table.
>>
>>52989642
The normal use of Wish is to copy the effects of a spell of 8th level or below, without requiring any of that spell's components.

You can instead use it to produce an effect from a list in the PHB, or you can ask for something else but that's pretty much license for the DM to fuck you over the wording - it actually gives the example that wishing the villain was dead might just propel you forward in time to a point where they've died of old age, effectively removing you from the game. Also, if you do anything other than copy a spell there's a 33% chance you can never cast wish again.

Basically, I'm pretty certain the guy shouldn't be able to wish you dead. The closest equivalent is Power Word: Kill, another 9th level spell that kills without an attack roll or save but only works against a creature with less than 100 hit points. Wish shouldn't be able to do better than that spell, and if you present these arguments in a reasonable manner I think you should be safe from being wished to death.
>>
>>52989700
It's a really complicated situation and I'm the only person it's directed at so the rest of the group just doesn't notice or doesn't care.

I pull pranks on his character in game all the time because he actively antagonizes mine. That's fun. I love banter and shit like that. What I don't love is when my PC is trying to break a wild, giant bat so that WE have something to ride in our upcoming raid and he uses telekinesis to try to throw me off while I'm way up in the air.

I have never once put his PC in harm's way and he does shit all the time that could potentially kill mine, as well as the party. I've talked to him about it and the DM and both just shrug it off because I don't throw a fit. I'd really rather not have to throw an autistic fit to get my way but it impedes my fun and breaks immersion when I'm having to allow my character to be abused so that I don't cause a party split.
>>
>>52989672
Depends what kind of slavery it is. You might need two or more different 'slave' backgrounds to cover the difference between hard labour-type slavery, like mining or farming, and service slavery like cooking and cleaning.

Either way, the actual feature of a background usually gives the player a set of NPCs that they can interact with for information or favours, so in this case it could be slaves that the PC used to work with before they were sold to a different person, or something like that.
>>
>>52989917
Next time he does something like that IC make it clear to your party members (Not him) That your character will not stay with the party so long as FAGGOT is in it. Have a back up character prepared.

Another thing you could do is when he is low on spells (used all his high level shit) go and kill him.
>>
File: Tiefling Lady.jpg (97KB, 670x1191px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling Lady.jpg
97KB, 670x1191px
>>52989496
>>52989507
Good looks. They are the worst. Frustrating that they are the only race with an int bump by default.
>>
>>52990123
Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>52989642
>I'm just going to cast wish, 'I wish you were dead'
That's an incredibly ineffective use of wish. By that level, you could easily resist it, and if they do itin your presence you could counterspell it or whatever.

They have a 1/3 chance of suffering severe sideeffects for using wish in that way.

There's a billion and one other ways to kill someone, so why wish of all things? Wish will probably cast disintegrate as a level 8 spell or something except as a charisma save except it has no range limit or line of sight requirement.
>>
My dwarf druid just found a serpentine owl, what precausions should I make before using it as my flying mount?
>>
>>52990212
Since you're a dwarf and a dwarf of natural things, inspect it thoroughly to make sure it is serpentine. Perhaps chip off a bit, sand it down into a slide and put it under cross polars to see if there's any olivine left in there, or look for alteration signs.

If it's cursed in any way, you'll be sure to know in this process.
>>
>>52989485
Halfings are basically Hobbits and Gnomes are basically Keebler Elves. They seem distinct enough to me, especially because Hobbits tend to be personable and Gnomes tend to keep to themselves.
>>
File: dense.jpg (74KB, 620x510px) Image search: [Google]
dense.jpg
74KB, 620x510px
>>52989451
Screw them over with their poorly-worded Wish - it's unlikely they'll be smart enough to avoid loopholes if they're the kind of person who finds PvP amusing.
>I wish this guy was dead
>Okay, you're transported thousands of years into the future, he and everyone else you ever knew or met is long gone. Roll a new character.
>>
>>52990047
Yeah next time he does something that could potentially kill you, go cap his ass.
>>
File: 100.gif (83KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
100.gif
83KB, 395x281px
>FLGS puts up LFG posting for 5e
>Oh hey I haven't played in ages
>RULES:
>No Multiclassing
>No UA
>No Feats
>No Optional Rules will be in play
>Core Races and Classes Only

Might as well say "No fun," holy shit.
>>
>>52990263
>>52990212
To be more precise, olivine should show up as a range of second order birefringence colours if you get the thickness of the rock down to about 30~50 micrometres, serpentine should be pretty obvious as it will have no discernably obvious crystals and will look like a muddy mess. I mean, it's pretty much like mud anyway.

By the time you're half-way through doing all this, your DM will groan,and just tell you what you need to know to save themself from having to hear any more.
>>
>>52989895
>>52990322
GOTTA GET BACK

BACK TO THE PAST
>>
>>52990335
Even >AL is more charitable than that.
>>
>>52990335
You don't need multiclassing, or UA, or even feats, but I would like to Disarm from time to time.

>Playing a PHB Ranger and disarmed a Spy to get my first rapier.
>>
>>52990335
Signs of a bad DM.

1. Doesn't want to have things they don't understand
2. Nerfs martials by removing feats
3. Probably can't balance for shit because they don't know the system
>>
>>52990263
Its real, that much I know for sure, but as for the saddling and riding of it more specifically
>>
>>52990383
Eh. By a saddle and anything that comes with it, or make one, then just go.

There are a few things that can take something out of the air such as knocking a creature prone, but as long as you're not too high up the fall damage should be survivable.

You can always ask for a knowledge check or common sense check about how likely it is to fall off.

The most fall damage you can take is 20d6 or about ~70 damage, which won't instantly kill a level 5 or so druid.
>>
File: gotta get back.jpg (54KB, 615x443px) Image search: [Google]
gotta get back.jpg
54KB, 615x443px
>>52990362
WA-CHAH
>>
>>52989585
>>52989324
>>52989274
How about you also try to get a firmer grasp of the rules instead of dribbling like an autistic retard.
>>
>>52990335
To me sounds like a fun optimization exercise.
>>
>>52990427
I can turn into birds at this point so I dont think falling will really be an issue
>>
>>52990335
Honestly I get the idea of sticking to the very basics. No feats seems like a bit much, but I'd be fine with the rest. Nothing wrong with vanilla.
>>
>multiclassing UA
>oathbreaker in general
So, oathbreaker 7, hexblade 13, what damage am I seeing?

Assuming Cursebringer, Hexblade Curse, extra attack from paladin 5, Lifedrinker, Aura of Hate, 20STR, 20CHA, Superior Pact Weapon (+2 one), maybe GWM from variant human, Staggering Smite, Burning Hex and enough time to setup the bonus actions.
>2(2d6+10d8+STR+PROF+2CHA+10)+4d6+CHA
>2(7+45+5+6+10+10)+14+5 avg.
or 185 avg. in combinations of slashing, necrotic, psychic and fire damage.

How does it compare to other lv20 maximum novas?
Nuclear druid need not apply.
>>
File: read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>52989324
Maybe try reading the whole book instead of telling us what a giant cockmongler you are next time?
>>
>>52989642
Why the fuck is the edgy teen even playing with you all?
>>
>>52989648
>badly optimized but I made him too fucking good to die
>He is an old man. He longs for the sweet release of death...

sounds like my -2 dex, -2 con divination wizard with lucky, i rolled awful stats and decided to go full meme with it but even then i don't want to just let him die without using my resources first so between shield, lucky and portent he's been surviving through all the unholy shit we've encountered. i just wanted it to die at first but now i need to wait until the right moment so i don't get called out for just letting him die with no fight.

i don't know if the dm is pulling his punches anymore or if honestly his shit can't hit through 8 and 16HP. he has been hit once and it KO'd him, barely surviving the instant kill clause, but only 3 things have gotten close enough to hitting him.
>>
>>52988949
I haven't yet. New player. I love my wizard I'm playing right now and have big plans for him, so I would probably just weep uncontrollably.
>>
Are rogues/rangers any good in 5e, and what weapons do they need to be packing?

New to this edition.
>>
>>52990697
That's the best kind of wizard, though. Why would you want that to die? Are you a scrub?
>>
File: 1340433133399.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1340433133399.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>>52990372
Honestly? I don't really get the point of people planning out these big multi-class builds that go up through level 20 anyway.

Most of them don't start to "shine" until a handful of levels in, and I honestly doubt more than even one percent of all D&D games actually go to level 20.
>>
>>52990697
I've found that making characters with deathwishes gives them some kind of bizarre untouchability.

I had a barb/fighter who constantly sought out the biggest, killiest shit in a fight and she survived multiple campaigns before she became too powerful to use.
>>
>>52990726
Rogues are good, they use rapiers and shortbows for the most part. Arcane Trickster and Assassin are both quality choices.

Rangers are alright, just be sure to go Hunter. Beastmaster is a little underwhelming. They do good with a longbow, but I've heard that melee ranger is a viable build if you're into it.
>>
>>52990750
They came from 3e/PF and their autism never left them.
>>
>>52990794
How about the Thief archetype?
>>
>>52990750
Plenty of them work at lower levels, and people don't plan it fully out to 20, they just extend 'and then after I get the important shit like uncanny dodge I'll just keep levelling rogue so I'll put barbarian5/rogue15' even though it's clear if you're going to be level 20 barbarian gets +4 to two stats going past 20 and that's ridiculous along with infinite rages
But because people keep saying
>level 20 builds
So I have to keep writing 'RogueX'

And even if you don't get to truly have uncanny dodge + extra attack until level 10, you're a barbarogue right from level 2 by character.

Though there are some faggots who think 'Oh I'd better not multiclass as a fighter or I'll never get my fourth attack at level 20'

>>52990726
Rangers should use the revised ranger UA.
Rangers have a bit of utility but for the most part the only awfully unique thing to them is hunter rangers get at-will AoE damage, otherwise you could just be a dex fighter, they're pretty similar.

Rogues are best at range with crossbows but can go in melee with certain set-ups. Overall they deal less damage unless you can get reaction attacks reliably, but they're more accurate against higher ACs and their utility is kind of nice, though a bard is a full caster and can rival that utility sometimes.
>>
>>52990750
>I honestly doubt more than even one percent of all D&D games actually go to level 20.
Try less than a fraction of a percent.

I'd be surprised to hear that more that 100 D&D 5e games in the whole entire world that have been run since the game launched in 2014 have gone from first to twentieth level.
>>
>>52990844
Thief relies on the DM to give you magic items to use that no one else in the party will want to use.
>>
>>52990789
Almost all of my characters become suicidal eventually, and as soon as the DM catches on that, they just ignore me forever.

It's not fun.
>>52990731
dunno, an old fart pacifist with z e r o damage is not that fun in a party of murderhobos.
>>
>>52990731
>I want this character to die
>Gonna meme it up in the interim, since I'm not autistic enough to just jump off a cliff when the session starts
>At this point my character is kinda doing well. Shit.

And then there's you
>HURR Y U NO KEP PLAYIN DIV WIZZURD
>>
How do you improve the Sword Coast? What would you do to un-generic-ify it?
>>
>>52991006
Turn it into Eberron
>>
Anybody have "A Guide to Tyranny of Dragons"? The pdf suddenly disappeared from my computer somehow and I can't for the life of me track down where I originally downloaded it from.
>>
>>52988949
OP's image is misleading.

It's fucking impossible to die in 5e.
>>
>>52991063
I literally just killed a PC in one of my games.
>>
>>52991063
You aren't trying.
Try fighting giant spiders atop a huge starcase.
>>
>>52991056
Nevermind, looks like it was free anyways.
>>
So will the saddle of cavalier fit any mount?
>>
If someone is petrified and then smashed into pieces, are they dead, or would they only be dead once they are no longer petrified?
>>
>give an artifact tier sword to the paladin because it's important to the plot
>he decides to become an edgelord and switch to oathbreaker
>doesn't want to use the sword anymore
>he'd rather have an evil as fuck cursed sword a villain was using earlier in the campaign
Well fuck me then. That's three pages of plans straight into the trash. I might need to introduce some NPC paladin to take the plot-sword so it doesn't go to waste and fuck everything I had planned.
But D&D being an RPG, I need to let my players make the decisions and just gently nudge them in the right direction.
I'm not retarded enough to just railroad the party because of the things I had previously planned.
>>
>>52991231
Always have a backup plan. And what's the deal with all these paladins breaking oaths and trying to be edgelords?
>>
>>52991231
Did he at least have a good in game reason for betraying his oath?
>>
>>52991231
You had to make it sentient, so it could beat him personally.
>>
So I thought of this yesterday and what a shock I actually have the chance to DM a game soon.

Because I'm sick to death of how necessary GWM/PAM/SS are even when I'm playing a martial, I'm going to change those feats and remove the +10/extra attack parts.

To make up for this I'm giving ALL Weapon Attacks +Proficiency to damage. So at lower levels where the +10 is retardedly powerful they're getting +2/+3 damage, and at higher levels where the damage is more required people are getting +4/+5/+6 to all weapon attacks with no hit to accuracy.

I was going to change the weapon feats to be +1 to a stat and their secondary effects. Thoughts on this people?
>>
>>52991261
>what's the deal with all these paladins
Too much anime.
>>52991264
Yeah. Generic traumatic past and getting pissed off at his god for not fixing everything. So he just says fuck it all and paints his armor black and installs some spikes onto it.
>>
>>52991203
He's dead, Jim!
>>
>>52991292
It is sentient actually. So that's the reason they won't be just selling it or something, it got pissed off at the paladin and now demands that they find a proper wielder for it.
>>
>>52990975
I've still got plans to play a wizard with low con at some time. The only reason I wouldn't put low dex as well is because I don't want to annoy everyone too much with being 'too' suicidal as a character.
It's the perfect glass cannon set-up whereas you've got some faggots going around with a level of cleric, 16 dex + con + int and 8 wis+str+cha, 20 AC fucking around like they're supposed to be a wizard.

>>52990925
>Zero damage
Wizards don't need ot deal damage. Also, as long as they have decent intellect, they should be fine, and it's not stated their intellect is all that bad.

It's a challenge character, but one that you can actually be effective with if you manage to avoid getting hit.
>>
File: 707.jpg (132KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
707.jpg
132KB, 500x414px
>>52991305
Please tell me he's the only shitter like that in your group.
>>
>>52991349
i know he doesn't need to deal damage, specially when i can decide to end an encounter with a portent hold person or a hypnotic pattern, but our group is large and we are running out of the abyss so it's really hard to keep up with being the only utility bot and not just stare at a wall while everyone else goes out of their way to murderize shit and loot mind combat.

in the end is more of a in-character thing, my character is literal grandpa that was writing a book on natural and magical creatures and got himself surrounded by violent people much younger than him and it doesn't matter if he'd want to avoid the conflict, maybe take his time, cast some rituals and scout ahead with his familiar, the rest of the group will just dash forward to roll some attacks.
>>
>>52991305
what kind of shitty paladin expects a god to fix all their problems in exchange for their service
you're supposed to become a paladin because YOU want to do good, not because you think mystra will give you a handy if you build up enough good boy points
>>
>>52991426
Eh, it's not as bad as it sounds. He's actually pulling off the RP aspects of his character pretty well.
We also have a total weeb shadow-monk that now has a fucking stand because he cried that his damage is too low.
And a not at all edgy drow cleric.
>>
>>52991485
>what kind of shitty paladin
A shitty one as you said. That's why he's switching sides to the one he actually belongs.
>>
File: ith.png (119KB, 490x492px) Image search: [Google]
ith.png
119KB, 490x492px
Creature drawan.

>>52991231
Good idea to have backup plans.

>>52991063
You aren't putting forth enough effort.

>>52989307
Big differences are:
>Lot of spells with durations require concentration to keep to spell up. You can't have two spells concentration up, you might lose concentration taking damage / thrown about.
>Spells don't scale unless you throw them into higher level slots.
>Lot of spells nerfed

Casters are still better, but not to such absurd degree.
>>
>>52991298
PAM + Sentinel new (old) meta.

Eldritch Blast can GTFO.
>>
>>52991525
As I said, I'm removing the extra attack from PAM.

You're right about EB though but I was thinking about changing it to be a Warlock feature instead of a Cantrip to stop people dipping 2 for EB+Agonising Blast. If it only scales with Warlock level I might let them add Proficiency as well.
>>
>>52991298
I mean, this is a more simplistic and user-friendly version of the 'everybody gets half a feat on any and all weapons', but with your version I'd be careful about PAM because if you leave the entirety of PAM it's just making Paladins even stronger. And hand crossbows.

Not to mention certain no-feat (except sometimes mobile) builds like barbarogues are even better off, monks and melee rogues.
>>
File: _42-17053240.jpg (43KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
_42-17053240.jpg
43KB, 700x487px
>>52991298
>i've never taken GWM/PAM/SS despite them not being banned at my table
>the few times someone else takes them it doesn't cause problems because we're not autists
>>
>>52989418
You seem to have forgotten the ribbons.
>>
>>52991305
>Wow my god does nothing my god should do everything for me
>I'm going to break my oath which has nothing to do with my god because I'm mad
>Why was I even a paladin in the first place if I didn't have the willpower to actually do shit myself
>Well whatever I'm going to side with undead and fiends and use an OP archetype because lol
>>
>>52991625
Not him, but what are ribbons?
>>
>>52991566
Still gives you an opportunity attack when creatures enter your reach. PAM stays good for the same reason it was before, as it helps maximize the number of attacks you can take. With GWM damage taken care of - wait, you're keeping GWM's bonus action attack in case of killing an enemy, aren't you?

Then optimal DPR is still GWM+PAM+Sentinel for melee, just that GWM moves the bottom of that list.
>>
File: mindflayer final 2.jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
mindflayer final 2.jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
>>52991522
looks pretty good, would love to see it in color.

one day i should revisit this one.
>>
>>52991650
fluff, ribbons, abilities that are not just plusses for combat, anything for interaction or exploration, preferably that isn't flat number improvements either.
>>
>>52991650
They prevent all status ailments.
>>
>>52991650
Not them, but ribbon features are features that are mechanically quite weak but develop a character fluff-wise. Say, 'you don't have to breathe'. Normally that doesnt' matter. Sometimes it does matter, but it really mostly reflects a character/class.
>>
Does saddle of the cavalier work on exotic mounts?
>>
>>52991584
I actually did some quick damage math just now on the new and old damage at level 5 with no feats factored in or resources expended, just ASI.

Shield: 25
Dual-Wielding: 31.5
Archery: 21
Two-Handed: 26
Polearm: 25
Monk: 33.5

Compared to how it currently stands with the feats
at:

Shield: 19
Dual-Wielding: 22.5
Archery: 37
Two-Hander: 40
Polearm: 24.5 and +30 once they have GWM
Monk: 24.5

I'm actually a little bit worried about monk damage with this but then and Dual-Wielders do use their bonus actions. Other then that Archery gets range, Polearms get distance and Shield gets +2 AC to make up for the fact they're still not king dick of ddamage

>>52991658
With the new math that's fine, an opportunity attack makes Polearms about even with everything else in damage but requires a feat and won't always go off. They do have the advantage of distance though.

And yeah I'm keeping the GWM Cleave ability.
>>
>>52991745
It's magic so yes.
>>
>>52989485
Halflings are naturally born from Humans, and you can't tell if you child will be Halfling or Human until they grow up or not. They don't really have their own cities or lands, but are found among the settlements of other races like Humans and Dwarves.

Gnomes are entirely different beings, with abnormally large heads. The Rock Gnome version is more prevalent as my campaign is essentially not-Spelljammer. They're like space gyspies/vagabonds who build vessels from the wrecks and scraps of other things, and travel in flotillas. There are few Gnomish Citadels.
>>
>>52991782
So even if i do some super awesome tricks and flips or whatever I wont fall off of my giant owl
>>
>>52991811
>halflings are literal real life midgets

Nice, cool.

NOT
>>
>>52991835
Go for it.
And remember to thank your local spellcasters for making these wondrous things for lesser being to enjoy.
>>
What ghostly power might I bestow to a PC that would be both a blessing and a curse?
>>
>>52991854
I am my local spell caster turns into a giant eagle and flies away
>>
>>52990886

>not "finding" magic items and neglecting to tell the rest of the party about them

Do you even dickass thief bro?
>>
>>52991871
Lichdom.
>>
>>52991891
I'm thinking on a much smaller scale.
Small benefit and small curse.
>>
>>52991871
You can go through wally but you can sleep because you can see through your eyelids
>>
>>52991871
The undead curse from dark souls, complete with hollowing.
>>
>>52991903
The ability to fire your fingers?
>>
File: 1384747571458.png (164KB, 344x436px) Image search: [Google]
1384747571458.png
164KB, 344x436px
Dumb question: it says for most cantrips that the damage increases by a certain die every few levels (2d10 at 5th, 3d10 at 11th etc.). Now are those levels based on spell caster levels or total levels?

Example, if I'm doing something insane and multiclassing say 1 Sorcerer/16 Barbarian, do I still get the 17th level cantrip damage because I'm a 17th level character?
>>
>>52991871
A clingy poltergeist with a crush on them.
>>
File: mk.png (114KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
mk.png
114KB, 600x620px
>>52991671
Thanks. Probably not gonna color it as it is, since it more for coming up with shape, etc. It does help my homebrewing progress a good bit, though.

>>52991871
Undeath of sort is usually considered a curse. Vampirism and lichdom have notable benefits, but it can mean forfeiting previous way of life. .
Or if you want ghosts, either a ghost that serves player character in its own ways, or player character becoming a ghost warrior via divine providence or something.
>>
>>52991922
Character level.
>>
>>52991929
i still think the lunarians should be large instead of medium.
>>
>>52991490
Jesus fucking Christ.

Is the stand at least cool?
>>
>>52991965
I think they should be 50 feet tall.
>>
>>52991922
You'll probably think that >>52991959 makes it crazy powerful or something, but when you think about it, a barbarian is better off just hitting things than using a 4d10 firebolt, especially since they might have magical weapons by then.
>>
File: Dendar the Night Serpent v1.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Dendar the Night Serpent v1.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
Looking for suggestions to fix the damn wording and any other suggestions. I'll add hooks later.
>>
>>52991749

Archers do good damage?
>>
>>52991749
Stop shitting on monks, you shitfucker.
>>
>>52991968
It's just his own shadow. He got cursed by a shadow themed enemy a while back and couldn't get it completely removed so they got some warlocks and sorcerers to do a ritual that changed the semi-sentient curse into a symbiote instead of a parasite.
So now they fight together, the monk feeds it his ki points and gets some extra oomph on his punches.
>>
I'm going to die soon. Whats a fun class to play? Eldrich Knight skeleton?
>>
>>52992021
Immortal mystic.
>>
>>52992035
Can confirm.
>>
I find that the problem with GWM/Sharpshooter/PAM is less about how much damage they do (which can be problematic but solved with more/better foes) but how the invalidate other martials that aren't invested in heavy weapons or archery.

It opens up a wider range of attack options and combat styles rather than making a couple to rule them all.

I'm actually kind of surprised that WotC put in a power attack type feat into 5e since 3.x should of taught them power attack creates a big escalation of damage which most DMs struggle to compensate for effectively.

I'm unsure about the wisdom of +proficiency to damage which generally would result in a +5 to each attack at 1st level but it would be an easy enough modification to both PCs and NPCs/Monsters.

You'd obviously want to replace the existing power attack type feats with alternatives that are more focused on combat options rather than damage optimization.
>>
>>52992046
do tell more.
>>
>>52991995
Crossbow expert + sharpshooter + archery means 2 attacks until level 4, 3 attacks until level 11, 4 attacks until level 20, 5 attacks at level 20 for a fighter. They have +2 to hit, ignore cover, can attack at 5ft if needed to take advantage of various status effects (Prone/paralyzed) and can attack at range.
PAM on the other hand only does an extra point of damage or two (matters less because +10 reduces this extra point of damage or two will actually be used) doesn't get +to hit but can take GWF for about +0.8/+0.5 damage and... The thing that makes them good is the reaction attack for up to 3 potential attacks until level 5.
>>
>>52992052
Just be a better DM, really.
>>
How would a helm of telepathy work on a kenku?
>>
>>52992004
Monks aren't a DPR class.
>>
>>52992004
I love Monks, the thing is with my new method they literally lead damage without Flurry of Blows.

I guess that would be made up for by the fact other people will be benefiting from Magical weapons though.
>>
>>52992052
Well, my version is

'Everybody may apply part of a feat to any applicable weapon they have. One for every weapon, unless you get a new feat which gives you two for every weapon. You can no longer take the old weapon feats. At DM's discretion, they might allow two parts of a weapon feat if it's fairly weak such as drawing two weapons at once. At DM's discretion, they may come up with something that doesn't already exist as a feat, such as drawing a new thrown weapon after throwing one.'

Reduces the 'took a ton of feats' power ceiling but raises the 'took no feats' power floor.
>>
>>52992081
Like a youtube mix at 2x.
>>
>>52991984
I have no experience running an encounter like Dendar or similar titan-sized creatures. How would you recommend going about it?

Make it a solo-encounter? Seems kind of like a bad idea because even a solo monster can get buttfucked if they burn its resistances.
What size enemies would you run alongside it?

Let's say, we're assuming a standard 4 man party at level 20. Dendar doesn't have such high AC, so I don't think hitting it will be a problem at all.
>>
File: HowTo- Become a Lich.png (291KB, 691x576px) Image search: [Google]
HowTo- Become a Lich.png
291KB, 691x576px
>>52992021
F
>>
>>52992161
I meant my character
>>
>>52991838
Are you a child?
>>
Guys which oath should I pick for my greatweapon paladin? I'm torn between vengeance and devotion.
>>
>>52992135
Anon could you link me a youtube mix
>>
>>52992176
Still applies.
What were you playing before?
>>
>>52992182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysg0WZ_XmSU
>>
>>52992143

Have the Monster be composed of lots of "sub-monsters" that they have to defeat.

So for example if you have some Titan that is Shadow of the Colossus size you might represent him with a Head, Arms, Feet, Torso.

The PCs could focus on the head/torso components but at the same time they have to deal with a 4 massive slams from the arms and legs so it might be wise to defeat those first.
>>
>>52992206
How would you do it with Dendar then?
Since it's a snek.
>>
>>52992219
>>52992219
Sheds skin, durr.
>>
>>52992196
This is pure chaos
>>
>>52992182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQuUuxnsUg
>>
>>52992225
I guess keeping with the lore you can make it so there's a number of scales you're trying to get released from it?
>>
>>52992143
Dendar fucks people up with Nighmare scales, mostly. If she is badly she'd go to the fugue plane with Plane Shift.

Unless your players see the PDF or are all Paladins I think it will be a thought encounter at the very least.

>>52992225
>>52992250
I didn't add all I wanted because homebrewery shat it's formatting pants when I tried to add more things.
>>
>>52992186
Barbarian, died of beholder mine
Bard, died of nightmares stealing my STR stat
Druid is my last class, he's near death in a temple of insanity
>>
>>52992264
Comparing Dendar to Tiamat, how does each fare against the other?

And how? Did you use Chrome?
>>
>>52992052
>the invalidate other martials that aren't invested in heavy weapons or archery

When will this meme end? Not every martial character is present to fulfill the same role.

If your martial character is there to shit out ungodly damage, then it makes sense that certain weapons would be more suited for it, making GWM a must-have.

Shield Master is also a feat, and it lets people who sword&board get much better at it. You can shove without eating into your weapon attacks, and you get pretty good bonuses against DEX saves. You're tankier than the GWM/PAM fighter and you just got even more tanky.

Dual Wielder is sorta trash (because the fighting style is also trash), but it's a start at least. You get a bit more tanky because fuck it, you've got two things to block with or some shit, and you get a bit more damage.

Defensive Duelist is there for the DEXfags who want to not get hit as much, and it pairs up pretty well with a shield-user since you can use STR on finesse weapons.

Wanting a feat to allow a character with a dagger to be as effective damage-wise as a character with a sword 20 times larger is some Tumblr inclusiveness bullshit.
>>
>>52992247
amazing.
>>
What race should my level 3 divination wizard be?
>>
>>52992380
Lizardfolk.
>>
>>52992307
>Comparing Dendar to Tiamat, how does each fare against the other?
Tiamat deals a lot more damage, but Dendar's abilities are mostly save or suck/get fucked.

>And how? Did you use Chrome?
yes.
>>
>>52992380
Orc.
>>
>>52992403
PHB races only.
>>
>>52992351
This, so much this.
People need to stop being autistic.

>>52992380
Aasimar, or v.human.
>>
>>52992380
Halfling.
>>
>>52992182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqkhESNTxKA
>>
>>52992432
Dragonborn.
>>
What are the must take wizard feats?
>>
>>52992351

Sharpshooter forces Rogues into Crossbow Mastery builds to keep up

GWM means that Twohanded sword is vastly more effective than a Long Sword even though they are only slightly different in size (yes D&D tends to call an arming sword a long sword) Same with a two-handed axe.

Why should versatile weapons not be able to take advantage of the GWM feat?
>>
>>52992466
Keen mind
>>
>>52992433
>>52992351
This is still besides the point. The original point would have been the same if it said 'Martials that aren't invested in polearms, archery or shield master fuckery'

And even then you can contest the validity of shield master. Shield master works less will with ranged allies and kind of avoids the role of 'Actually kill stuff'. If you want support, there are casters that can do that or monks that can spam stuns. And the place where shield master probably works best - on a rapier+shield (probably dex) barbarogue - is fine without shield master since they have cunning action, rage, etc.
>>
I'm having trouble determining exactly how HP is calculated for NPCs. What do you use for normal hit dice before adding CON bonus? I looked at a few when trying to adjust them but they never seem to divide/add up properly.
>>
>>52992249
>11 minutes
how
>>
>>52992528
I thought there was a table for this in the monster manual
>>
>>52992528
They use their size, CR and a table.
>>
>>52992528
It's basically arbitrary

You don't have to do that in 5e, just determine hp based on your needs (CR) when building monsters/NPC on your own
>>
>>52992380
v.human with lucky feat
lightfoot halfling
>>
>>52992476
>Sharpshooter forces Rogues into Crossbow Mastery builds to keep up
Keep up with who?

You know this isn't an mmo, right?
>>
>>52992814
This.

Rogues being the "High damage dealer" came from mmo's and 4e, Rogues are a martial skill monkey who can do decent damage.

Sneak Attack should be worse then a Fighters damage output because Fighters main job is to hit shit with a stick. Rogues get skills and tricks for out of combat.
>>
>>52992845
The thing is, even without any feat they still consistently put out pretty high single target damage without expending any resources.

Their main shit is, as you said, being skillmonkeys and being hard to pin down in a fight because they have so many bonus actions they can take (again, without expending any resources to do so).
>>
>>52992305
Maybe try a blasty caster? I've never done it, but evocation wizard with magic missile abuse seems like fun.
>>
>>52992845

>I can do stuff out of combat so i gotta suck in combat

I thought this bullshit died off with 3.PF.

Nobody ever goes "Oh the Wizard can cast rituals and teleport and summon demons so they have to be shit in combat"

Why shouldn't Fighters be allowed to do something outside of combat you know besides carry all of the gear and rogues be allowed to shine in combat?
>>
>>52992935
Go on.
>>
Is there any reason why Half-Elves and Half-Orcs can't take feats for the respective races they spawn from?
>>
>>52992941
Their damage is more consistent than it is high, and they have to jump through hoops to qualify for it (though they're expected to reliably make it through the hoops). It averages out to be pretty similar to anyone else not using feats and party support and magic items. It's a lot more effective to add consistency or damage to a fighter's attacks though, because they have more attacks that are less consistent than the rogue's.

Rogues do rock with reactions though, if that's your thing.
>>
>>52992976
They can take most of them.
>>
>>52992884
The only things I feel have any real issues in martials is Dual-Wielding (Which is gay anyway) and Monks when they run out of Ki. If the game ran the way WotC thought it did with short rests then Monk would be awesome.
>>52992941
Because classes have different reasons for existing. If every martial did the same damage, same defence and had the same out of combat utility there's no reason to play one over the others.

Honest talk, a classless system can capture the "Everyone can shine in all areas" thing much better if that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>52993016
Yeah but I'm talking about stuff like Fey Teleportation or Wood Elf Magic which don't specifically state Half-Elf as a prerequisite.
>>
>>52992966
Well evocation wizard lets you add your int modifier to evocation spells iirc.
So use magic missile and each dart deals 1d4 + 1 + int mod.
If you ever get to that point, you can even make it one of your signature spells and have at will magic missile.
>>
>>52993042
Because that's highly specific to the actual archtype of elf. Half-Elves lost most of the elven magic because of the human blood (Notice they don't have trance either).

SCAG gives options for swapping your Skills for an Elf trait. Personally if you chose to take a High Elf trait I'd let you take the High Elf one and etc.

Also for mechanical reason, Half-Elves are already really fucking powerful and giving Elves their own specific feats only to say "Nope another race can take it" is a kick in the dick. Half-Elves get 1 Elf and 1 Human one instead of Elves or Humans who each get 2 of their own.
>>
Is it worth using hunters mark as a TWF beast conclave hunter? Beast Bond isn't that great because we use flanking
>>
Anyone had any experience with an Immortal Mystic?
>>
>>52993141
I wouldn't bother personally. Level 1 spells suck for TWF but once you get level 2 spells you'll have some better options.
>>
Does anyone have that anon's feats for race stuff? I remember a few being pretty good, so I want to see the rest before I try to add them into a new campaign.
>>
>>52992180
Give a fellow some advice eh.
>>
>>52992476
>forces Rogues into Crossbow Mastery to keep up
Rogues keep up in damage through Sneak Attack, as multiple attacks are kinda shit on them. Notice they're the only martial without the Extra Attack feature.

>GWM means that Twohanded sword is vastly more effective than a Long Sword
Yes, because that's what happens when you have a weapon that is larger and heavier, at least according to DnD. There needs to be variation in weapon features and attributes, otherwise everyone is going to have the same weapon regardless of situation.

>Why should versatile weapons not be able to take advantage of the GWM feat?

I dunno dude, I'm sure a reasonable DM would allow you to use the feature if you're two-handing a Versatile weapon, since you're basically gimping yourself for it.

>>52992500
>The first sentence of your post
I legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say here.

>Shield master works less will with ranged allies
No shit. It's mostly tanky benefits with an extra option for cool things to happen. Knock a dude prone, that's basically one less person for the ranged fag to worry about because you're standing over his soon-to-be-corpse with rape-eyes.

>The last bit
If you don't wanna play a shit-tier meme build, then guess what. Shield Master is pretty good. The BA shove attempt is still a valid option for the trash that is barbarogue.

Also, you play a Barbarogue with STR because then you can't key off your Reckless Attacks/Rage benefits.
>>
>>52993023

Sometimes you want to play classless, sometimes you want to play D&D.

Honestly I like 5e alot but in some ways I like the balance that 4e had which allowed everyone to be useful in all phases of the game (combat, social, and exploration).

Spotlight balance is something that works to an extent but the fact of the matter is that more and more gamers have very limited time to game and having scenes where one or more classes are utterly fucking useless makes for a less enjoyable experience for everyone.

For instance making it where the Fighter is useless in exploration and social situations makes for a period of time where the Fighter is a passenger rather than an active participant in the game. This can create the situation where people playing fighters actively push combat scenarios when it doesn't make sense simply because they get bored sitting around watching others get shit done.

Same with skillmonkey characters and trying to get spotlight time to shine.

The truth of the matter is that you really don't need to push niche protection class designs. As a designer you can definitely make a rogue that is good at skills and combat, you can make a fighter that is good in social situations (leading men, flirting with wenches). This was the norm back before 3.x and in theory we could return to it. Or we could continue pushing Monte Cook's vision that martials needed to suck.
>>
>>52993202
PAM, vengeance, go.
>>
>>52993202
Devotion is good because the +CHA to hit on your Channel Divinity can get around GWM's -5. It's also so much cooler than Vengeance because of both Aura mechanics and not being ANGST.
>>
>>52988949
I put 2 on the end of my character name because I am never in a game where I get to finish playing the character I want because the games always collapse.
>>
>>52993213
>Fighter is useless in exploration and social situations

Maybe that's because you spent all your ASI's on GWM and PAM?

Fighters can sacrifice their combat ability to pump Charisma and take feats for out of combat (Skill feats are good now that we have them) but everyone spends their Fighter feats on nothing but combat and Strength ASI's.

And a Fighter without any combat feats still out damages other people. 4d6+6 damage at level 5 is better then the Rogues 4d6+3 and you have better armour, health, action surge and BM dice but the Rogue has slightly better skills.

Even if you don't want to pump skills like Charisma the difference between your 14 in it and someones 16 is 1. You can still have a +4 Modifier on your charisma or intelligence check if you want to have something for out of combat.
>>
>>52993212
The original post is basically 'If you don't take feats to fit into one of a few specialized categories, you're underpowered in comparison'

>Soon-to-be-corpse
You're using a rapier with probably duelling and you have advantage. If you succeed your athletics, of which you don't have expertise or advantage on, probably. You've sacrificed a bit of damage for some AC, and you're probably just encouraging monsters to walk around you and attack someone else unless you're shoving and grappling all over the place and in that case you might as well be someone who's good at grappling like a barbarogue.
Thing is, someone with, say, PAM can sacrifice one of their attacks to shove the enemy prone at the same difficulty and they'd still have as many attacks as shield master, except their remaining attacks are going to likely do more damage because they can pair it with GWM.

>'Barbarogue is trash'
>Doesn't even understand how it works
You play it with dex for AC or str for reckless attack/rage damage, though you can still reckless attack with dex if your strength is decent and you need sneak attack.
I kind of get tired of trying to explain the reasons barbarogue works though because there's too much good stuff.
>>
Would it break anything if I added this to the Dual Wielder feat?

>While you use two-weapon fighting, you can make your off-hand attack as part of the Attack action, without requiring a bonus action.
>>
>>52993342
I did that. Though I also changed it so that you couldn't attack as a bonus action anymore which freed up our swashbuckler's bonus action and he got to do more than swing twice per round.
>>
>>52993342
Careful, you have to account for extra attacks. Make it only happen once as a free action whenever the attack action is used instead of a bonus action.
>>
>>52993342
a week or two ago we had someone running the numbers for twf compared to other fighting styles, and even without needing your bonus action it still came up short (it was still inferior if we also gave fighting with 3 or 4 attacks a second offhand attack, its that far behind).
>>
>>52993342
I'd say it's balanced enough, yes. Still doesn't make it a good pick for, say, fighters, but other classes have more use for it outside of rogues who already have 20 dexterity. Though, really, it'd become as compulsory as CBE is for rogues at the moment.
>>
How does Zephyr strike work? Does the advantage and speed only work for the turn you cast it?
>>
I'm thinking of dipping 2 into Barbarian on my STR Revised Ranger. I know I can't cast during Rage but getting Advantage, damage resistance and the +2 damage on all my Hunter Attacks seems like it would be fun.
>>
>>52991696
>>52991696
underrated post right here
>>
>>52993423
>Though, really, it'd become as compulsory as CBE is for rogues at the moment.

You spend a feat, give up the bonus action you could use to hide and avoid damage + get advantage and give up 1 damage from a bigger crossbow. for +8.5 at most.

Giving up all that for +7.5 average damage is rarely worth it. Seriously.
>>
>>52993412
Off-hand attack is always just the one attack though.
>>
>>52993310

Or you could actually design your classes so that it's not a fool's choice between choosing to be effective in combat and being effective in non-combat.

If power attack type "feats" are expected in the game then incorporate them into the baseline combat mechanics or the class mechanics.

That way when the martial classes get their precious feats which are their primary opportunity of customizing their character they don't have to instantly go ASI or GWM or Sharpshooter or PAM. They can safely take observant or skilled or athlete and feel like they didn't sacrifice too much combat effectiveness in order to bulk up their noncombat effectiveness.

In contrast the caster can simply go to a long rest and completely reconfigure their spell loadout meaning one day they can be full combat and the next day social and the next day investigation
>>
>>52993440
>multiclassing revised ranger
how about no.
>>
>>52993314
Actually, I'm going to go run through damage calculations for barbarogue versus barbarian (with and without feats), fighter (With feats) and rogue (With and without feats) at about level ~11 to get some comparisons.

All that really needs to be proved is that barbarogue has acceptable damage output, as their main strength is in other areas.

>>52993472
>Hide and avoid damage
You don't have to hide to avoid damage. Just stay out of line of sight and they can't cast certain spells/attack you. You're automatically unhidden when you come into line of sight anyway. Hiding is better for escaping or getting advantage.

It's not just extra damage, it's extra chance of getting a sneak attack without having to be in melee. .. So, more damage. And you can grab archery from fighter if you really wish. And if you pad your body out with loaded hand crossbows, you could then wear a shield.
>>
>>52993472
It's a second chance to apply sneak attack if your first attack fails, and it also applies Sharpshooter, numbnuts.
>>
>>52993439
You move like the wind. For the duration, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.

In addition, the first time you make a weapon attack on your turn before the spell ends, you make the attack roll with advantage, and your speed increases by 30 feet until the end of that turn.

>Does the advantage and speed only work for the turn you cast it?

No, it works until you make a weapon attack roll on your turn. Though, I guess if you BA Zephyr Strike and then immediately follow up with a weapon attack, then yes, it does only work for the turn you cast it.
>>
>>52993560
I feel like that isn't really worth the loss of a feat when you could hide for Advantage on the first attack roll and take something else.

Lucky seems like a better choice. If you do miss your attack roll with Advantage then you can just put that on it to fix it plus it's useful out of combat.
>>
File: 1474468123900.png (127KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
1474468123900.png
127KB, 400x551px
>>52993554
>It's not just extra damage, it's extra chance of getting a sneak attack without having to be in melee. .. So, more damage.
>>
>>52993314
I concede to you on the "STR barbarogue isn't trash" point.

I didn't consider the extra damage from SA. At this point, I believe that SA damage makes up for the lack of GWM +10s, as you get to shove/grapple much more effectively in exchange and the damage is technically more reliable.
>>
Dendar is going to shed her skin. Your job is to "escort" her away from this place with a trail of dream. If she would to shed them here, the nightmare will spread out to infest this area. How is that for a mission start up?
>>
>>52993647
I think he's implying that you're not in melee, and so are less likely to get hit by something.
>>
>>52993626
You can't always hide, it lets you benefit from proned targets (situational), and, again, it's a second chance to apply sharpshooter. It's always there, adding to your repertoire of options, and guess what, in most cases you'll want that attack.

Lucky is a good feat but CBE is better in combat for a ranged Rogue. You get an extra ASI and you only rely on one stat anyway, so it's not hard to grab CBE+Sharpshooter. It just does so much for you.
>>
>>52993647
>Make 1 attack, 50% chance of hitting
>50% chance of sneak attack
>Make 2 attacks, 50% chance of hitting each
>50% chance of sneak attack
Wow thanks anon I'll be sure to pass my mathematics degree with this
>>
File: Barbarian - Serpent.jpg (200KB, 1064x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian - Serpent.jpg
200KB, 1064x1600px
Hey /5eg/, how does this sound? I really like the idea behind Elven Accuracy and I was trying to think of a fun thematic build based around it. A feral, impulsive half-elf with rage and bad int/wis sounds like it'd be fun to roleplay too.

>Half-Elf Totem Barbarian, lvl 4
>16 Str, Dex, Con
>Elven Accuracy instead of ASI
>Longsword + Shield

Heavy focus on being a Bear Totem tank with critical hits being the main source of damage.
>>
>>52989463
sorcerers are also pretty fucking terrible
>>
>>52993560
>Sharpshooter to ignore cover.
Ok
>Sharpshooter for long range without disadvantage.
Ok
>Sharpshooter for bonus damage.
Only if you have already used sneak attack.
>>
>>52993822
>16 Str, Dex, Con
Only way you're doing that is Human or Variant Human
>>
>>52993862
Point-buy 15 Str, Con, Dex. Half-elf bumps Str and Con up to 16, Elven Accuracy bumps dex to 16.

That leaves Wis and Int at 8, Cha starts at 8, goes to 10 with half-elf.
>>
File: duelofthemasters.jpg (111KB, 620x1045px) Image search: [Google]
duelofthemasters.jpg
111KB, 620x1045px
Do your characters bother wearing pants, /5eg/?
>>
>>52993862
That's 100% possible with the default pointbuy and the half-elf stats, dude.
>>
>>52993894
Is that a speedo?

And no, I wear long flowing robes to contain my paladin's manhood.
>>
>>52989334
Moon Druid could have summoned fish to get that book back. Prestidigitation and mending to fix it right up.
>>
How do I build a STR based valor bard?
>>
>>52989334
>not strapping a rock to the highest con character and having them go get it

What is wrong with you
>>
File: 1305562191842.jpg (93KB, 720x871px) Image search: [Google]
1305562191842.jpg
93KB, 720x871px
>>52993684
To elaborate on STR Barbarogue since the other anon didn't, Barbarian peaks their damage at 5th and then only gets a couple small increases at 9th and 16th with rage (also brutal critical). They are actually pretty well matched with Rogue's damage curve, which is a lot more gradual, and Rogue ultimately only falls a little behind Barbarian at 20th... but this is with the latter using Reckless Attack, while the former can still play tricks to benefit from advantage or use CBE or the SCAG cantrips to actually come out ahead, and with the right party synergy can get an extra SA per round to come out heads and shoulders above Barb.

So Barbarogue is more just grabbing the best features from Barbarian up until 5th, and applying Rogue's steady damage curve and utility from then on. All Barbarian gives up for this is some extra HP and access to their higher level class features, which are honestly quite lackluster.
>>
>>52993838
Sorcerers are fine. they're just outshined by Wizards
>>
File: pantsarefortheweak.jpg (414KB, 600x437px) Image search: [Google]
pantsarefortheweak.jpg
414KB, 600x437px
>>52993894
pants are useless
>>
File: 1492294402735.gif (25KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492294402735.gif
25KB, 550x400px
How do you guys explain multiclassing other than an in-game event that allows your character to go down a new path, and/or that you're just a minmax scum?
>>
>>52993856
Sharpshooter isn't a once-per-turn thing.
>>
>>52993999
>high heels

god damnit
>>
>>52993838
>>52994004
Sorcerers really shine as a support class due to their metamagic. Heightened and Twin are pretty sweet.
>>
>>52993894
Its hard to find any to contain his thick dwarven cock, he only wears robes and in battle removes them to reveal a dragon skin loincloth passed down by his family for generations
>>
>>52994064
All they really need are two or three strong damaging spells that take advantage of their damage+ ability, whatever archetype that may be. And then like you said, they can support really well. There's a reason they get so many cantrips.
>>
>>52994036
My character multiclassed into warlock because he wanted to get stronger *fast*. Common warlock motivation. The timing worked really well since I had a session of pretty weak rolls, leading to a nice in-character moment of "I can't do anything right, I'll never be strong enough to blah blah blah". Cue whispers in the back of your mind and blammo you have a junior warlock. Of course, he isn't exactly comfortable yet with selling his soul or whatever, so I'm keeping it under wraps.

I've put a solid five levels into warlock and haven't cast a single spell yet. Waiting for a life-threatening moment for the big reveal.
>>
File: Somevarious rogues.jpg (274KB, 1161x592px) Image search: [Google]
Somevarious rogues.jpg
274KB, 1161x592px
>>52993803
Still working on these damage comparisons but while I'm at it have some rogue ones.
>>
>>52994143
5 levels 0 spells cast. what
>>
>>52994143
>having class levels in warlock
>not being an eldrich blast turret and nothing else
>>
If I'm playing a Shield Master Knight, should I take Dueling or Tunnel Fighter?
>>
>>52994321
Dueling.

Or Defense if you want even higher AC, but with S&B it should be good enough.

Tunnel Fighter is for PAM + Sentinel people.
>>
Just played a ranger, I want to kill myslef now, it's the most boring class ever
>>
>>52994156
Oops, rapier second attack and total should be +0.6

>>52994321
You already get something semi-tunnel-fightery eventually. Really, it'd probably be less of a DM-trying-to-work-out-what-the-fuck-is-going-on clusterfuck of reactions if you just went +2 damage and it'd probably work out better. Maybe.
>>
>>52994366
I believe you mean Fighter is the most boring.

Were you using spells and fighting you favored enemies ever? Also this was revised version right?
>>
>>52994398
>Fighter is the most boring.
They get maneuvers though

>Also this was revised version right?
No
>>
>>52994416
And Rangers get spells, which can do much cooler shit then the maneuvers. Also there's the spellless Ranger who also gets maneuvers. Lightning Arrow, Ensnaring Strike, Conjure Animals, Spike Growth and etc.

Another thing of note is the amount of times you do anything except Trip and Precision Attack with those maneuvers are slim.

If you weren't using the revised version then it doesn't matter how boring it was because you'll suck ass anyway.
>>
>>52994456
I like my maneuvers fuck off REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52994529
It's sad that I can't tell if you're one of /5eg/'s Battlemaster fanboys who will literally go out life and limb to try and justify why it's so powerful and fun or you just have a sense of humor.

4 times per rest you can do an extra 4.5 damage and trip them for Advantage (Which Open Hand Monk does better) or get +4 to hit. Wowza.
>>
>>52994456
Rangers only 3rd level spells at fucking 9
>>
Why is there no 1d8 finesse slashing weapon?
>>
What is the final say on abilities that require you to know the DM's roll in order to work?
Spells like Shield, or Class Features like Cutting Words.

My table is being autistic to the point of hostility regarding the "DM don't tell you shit", which I would be fine with, if it weren't for the self righteous wrath and fury that they stick with it by it being "according to the rules"

I made some research, but all I could find was Mike Mearls tweeting in agreement with my position, at least regarding the Shield spell (which naturally was met with "THAT MAN MEANS NOTHING TO MEEEE!"
>>
Anyone have the roll20 tokens for the monster manual? Thanks broskis!
>>
>>52994036
For a lot of characters it can be pretty easy if you ignore the abstraction of classes. For example, a Fighter multiclassing into Barbarian might just be him learning a new fighting technique that resembles Barbarian or learning how to channel his anger. A Fighter multiclassing into Rogue is just learning a few dirty tricks and putting some thought into skills that would be useful for an adventurer (basically, you're Conan).
>>
>>52994416
>playing unrevised Ranger

You literally have only yourself to blame, anon. If your DM didn't allow Revised Ranger, they're fucking stupid.
>>
>>52994662
Try 5eTools
>>
>>52994606
Good thing you have Ensnaring Strike, Hail of Thorns, Zephyr Strike, Spike Growth and Silence before then. That's only in combat spells, Battlemasters have nothing out of fighting.

Now Battlemaster has a better burst but until higher levels all it has compared to Ranger is Maneuvers and Action Surge. While a Ranger has Spells, Skills, either Horde Breaker or Beast attacks and the actually good revised ranger utility.
>>
>>52994593
Enabling Rogue to get second SA off, disarming an enemy, knocking an enemy off a cliff or into a hole. Variability in rider effects and extra damage on a class that is already really good at doing damage.

>fanboys who will literally go out life and limb to try and justify why it's so powerful and fun or you just have a sense of humor

and you're a person who will literally go out life and limb to try and justify why it's not powerful or fun.

If that anon is a battlemaster fanboy, then you're a contrarian who doesn't like badwrongfun, and there's literally no reason to have this conversation because he won't change his mind and you won't change yours.
>>
>>52994607
good fucking question, the scimitar should just be that, but noooo people must be able to jack drizzt off with just the PHB's core options.
>>
>>52994607
Make it if you want it. Call it a katana since that's obviously what you're trying to emulate.
>>
half-casters should just get spells at the normal progression but stop after 5th level.
>>
>>52994720
Honestly I'm looking for anyone to give me a reason they enjoy it. I don't care about other peoples fun but I must be missing something because it seems rather bland to me.

I may have spoken harshly but I am interested in a real discussion on why you think it's fun compared to other options.
>>
>>52994746
why

does this mean they also get cantrips
>>
rolled for stats
I have two 13s, a 12, a 10, a 9, and a 7
How can I salvage this for a low-level campaign
>>
>>52994738
Katanas would defiantly be versatile though.
>>
>>52994771
kys
>>
>>52994769
because getting 5th level spells at lv17 is fucking retarded, and why the fuck not. paladin could get guidance, gentle repose, spare the dying, light and thaumaturgy while ranger could get druidcraft, create bondfire, control water or shillelagh.
>>
>>52994771
Moon druid.
>>
Alright, I'm interested in trying 5th edition.
Where should I get started doing so? Is the starter set worth it?
>>
>>52994771
normal human, and pay for your sins.
>>
>>52994636
Jeremy Crawford is who you should quote. If they go against his word, they're going against the rulebook itself.

Even so, it's not too outrageous as long as the DM actually tells you whether or not you've been hit or crit before you use it, because that is the trigger for the spell itself.

Just take a level dip in cleric or fighter so you get ridiculous AC when you use shield.

Also, hiding rolls is a crutch for bad DMs. Tell your DM I said he's a faggot.
>>
>>52994849
what if i just come back as a revenant
>>
I need help.
I'm playing a Half elf Immortal Mystic, who already has 20 Int, and I have reached level 8, so I can take a feat or take the ASI.
I'm half tempted to take prodigy for Survival shenanigans.
>>
>>52994930
Become that guy 'til you are dead again
>>
>>52994759

I enjoy it because I already am ok with martial classes at their base. Some players have character fantasies (like being a big guy) that are fulfilled by playing a barbarian or plate-wearing fighter. Battlemaster lets me do that, but also gives me options to spice it up a little.

I played a ranged Battlemaster with a special kind of super-heavy crossbow that would be used to snipe people and apply things like Disarming Attack or Trip Attack. It was a lot of fun because it worked with the whole "ebin snipper" meme I was totally not copying from Sniper Wolf.

Just for reference, my favourite class to play is the paladin because of the built-in RP aspects and the fact that the class flavour just sorta speaks to me?

Oh, and barbarians are also actually fun for me. I'm perfectly fine with saying "I wanna rage", "I roll to attack", or "I wanna wrassle him".
>>
>>52994792
but would it obediently deal 1d8 when wielded one-handed?
>>
>>52994893
If you have friends who've never played before, then yes, the starter set is pretty good. It's a good introduction to the game where you can find out if it's really for you. And you don't have to invest in the rulebooks to find out.

people who don't buy the books ever when it is easy for them to do so and only use the pdf's are faggots
>>
>>52994943
See you actually seem like one of the few people here that is reasonable. I can dig that because I agree martials are fine.

People go on about how "Wizards can Teleport" and shit but if it upsets you that much go play a Wizard. martials are mostly going to be saying "I attack" but it's not hard to spice shit up with a little bit of effort.

I still don't get the appeal of Battlemaster much but I'm a fan of Hunters and Berserkers more. My main issue is the way so many people say "Battlemaster is the only fun martial" when it's about the same as all the others.
>>
So what is the story you've run/played in that was clearly ripped off by the DM to create?

I have a DM that has a clear Dragon Age story. It's just Dragon Age. There are different names and different characters at time, but it's Dragon Age.
>>
Have you ever had a dream adventure alongside the main adventure?
>>
>>52995010
>spoiler
Paper is much easier to use anyway.
>>
>>52995124
Please tell me it was Origins. Because to be fair the Origins story is good enough that you can rip it off if you know for sure no one in your group's played it.

Actually I've been thinking of running a Dragon Age game for a while, but I've heard shit things about the official game. I guess I could make all full casters different types of mages, use spellless Rangers and change paladins a ton.

I might be able to pull it off in 5e.
>>
>>52995168
I'm not sure, which Dragon Age has the Mage Tower blowing up and Mages and Templars fighting while demons flood into the world? I know the whole "Mage v Templar" and "Mage Tower" thing is Dragon Age, as is "Demons pouring in until the protags stop it."
>>
>>52995037
I see your point about martials and I mostly agree, but at the same time I'd like some options for them in combat that isn't reliant on the DM being charitable with his environments.
>>
>>52995220
That's Inquisition. AKA, the worst Dragon Age.
>>
>>52995127
No, but I feel like I would love that. Especially if the dream world was done in an interesting way
>>
>>52995220
Ew, Inquisition. Though as a tabletop it could be more fun.

I'm really disappointed with Bioware. Everything they do just gets worse and worse.
>>
>>52995240
Well fuck. Does it make sense to tilt the balance towards Templars and make it canon that you can't beat the Templars in the actual game, because that happened in the DnD game.
>>
>>52995240
Dragon Age 2 is the worst
>>
Hey guys,

New to 5th, long time 3.5/pathfinder player. How do I make the best wizard for a low level campaign starting at level 2 or 3?

My stats are in no particular order: 16 15 14 14 13 12

I'd like to pew pew lasers, but I am open to other ideas.
>>
>>52995267
>>52995240
Both were very, very shit after how good Origins was.

>>52995265
Sounds like he's a Templar fanboy.

He's got good taste.
>>
>>52995267
At the very least, DA2 gave us Varric.
>>
made a ton of roll20-style tokens with key curse of strahd NPCs and book art

https://gofile.io/?c=1YWaJI

enjoy guys
>>
New thread plox.
>>
>>52992380
high elf
>>
Can we talk about tactics? Specifically monster tactics.

Kobolds, goblins, giants, how do you use them turn them from squishy bags of exp into dangerous, cruel monstrosities?
>>
>>52995037

I'm more partial to the Totem barb myself, but I did see a "fix" of sorts to Berserker's level 3 feature, where you get immunity to Exhaustion effects while raging, and your extra attack is compounded into your primary attack Action.

>Battlemaster is the only fun martial

That's a sad world for an anon to live in. I pity them.
>>
File: Barbaroguecomparisons.png (31KB, 1235x238px) Image search: [Google]
Barbaroguecomparisons.png
31KB, 1235x238px
>>52994156
Well, that was an interesting journey. But nothing unexpected. Here's the gibberish numbers. I'm not directing this at anything in particular, but at least I've got some calculations (with adjustable table for different AC values) I'll be able to quote when it comes to barbarogues.
>>
File: 1491192991929.gif (97KB, 398x303px) Image search: [Google]
1491192991929.gif
97KB, 398x303px
>>52995286
>Rolling for stats
>>
>>52995286
Choose Variant Human with +2 INT, or if your DM allows online official material, Planeshift Zendikar's Vedalken with +2 INT.
INT 18
WIS 15
DEX 14
CON 14
CHA 13
STR 12

Evocation Wizard (Level 2 power lets you sculpt spells, so you can choose to miss allies with AoE spells)

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Poison Spray and Chill Touch.
First Level Spells: Find Familiar, Ice Knife, Ray of Sickness, Mage Armor (replace Ice Knife with Chromatic Orb if you're able to reliably get diamonds worth at least 50 gp)
Second Level Spells: Aganazzar's Scorcher, Scorching Ray.

Congrats, murderwizard.
>>
>>52995526

I was against it, but it wasn't my call. Real life group.

Why do sorcerers suck compared to wizards? They seem pretty good.
>>
>>52995540

Thank you!
>>
>>52995540
What's Aganazzar's Scorcher? I don't see it.
>>
>>52995473

>Kobolds: traps, never fighting straight up, a whole lot of hit-and-run tactics that would exhaust normal people. there's a reason the kobold nest hasn't been eradicated by the town guard, they just can't handle constant viet-cong bullshit
>Goblins: traps, getting their bigger friends to come and bop you when you prove too much for the lesser gobbos. these ones are less likely to put up a fight because of the ease with which they give up, but it's usually a question of sheer numbers.
>Giants: never ran them before
>>
>>52995385
Make one then faggot
>>
>>52995604
it's on elemental evil's player companion.
>>
>>52995545
Tell them they're stat-rolling faggots and need to git gud

Sorcerers are good if you have no idea how to play wizard. Which is probably you. Their main gimmick really is just twinning spells, and that's about it.

If you're planning on playing a wizard, make sure you understand how preparing spells and rituals work. At level 2 you'll have 8 level 1 spells in your spellbook, and with 16 intellect you'll have 5 of those spells prepared if I remember correctly. But you don't have to prepare a spell to cast it as a ritual.
It takes 10 minutes longer than usual to cast a spell as a ritual, but it doesn't take up a spell slot.
Only a wizard can cast rituals they haven't prepared (Or some other weird cases with ritual caster or book of ancient secrets)

Sorcerers can't cast rituals at all, they have less spells known than the wizard even has prepared, they have less spell slots (Assuming they don't use their sorcery points for more spell slots and use it for twinning and such instead) and have a smaller spell list.
Wizard also gets some pretty neat archetype features.

+1 hp/level from dragon sorcerer isn't bad but it's not enough to justify sorcerer and 13+DEX AC is just free mage armour which is one level 1 spell slot a day normally.

So, yeah, sorcerers aren't unplayable at all but they're more limited than wizards but they do have one or two things they do that wizards don't do. Mostly twinning good buffs like haste.
>>
>>52995540
How do you get +2 INT with v.human?

>>52995604
It's in the Elemental Evil thing.
>>
>>52995604
It's Elemental Evil. One action to cast.
A line of roaring flame 30 feet long and 5 feet wide emanates from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d8 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

>>52995640
I'm not sure if this is something every DM allows, but mine thought V.Human was +1 to two stats or +2 to 1 stat.
>>
>>52995632
I don't get this paladins duty to gods. That's clerics. Paladins get their power from their oath and don't even need a god.

Also 5e barely puts stock in alignment and no one should.
>>
>>52995640
+1 int, +1 else and pick a +1 int feat like alchemist, arcanist, etc. if using UAs or the shitty ones in the PHB.
>>
>>52995669
Maybe you shouldn't use house rules though.
>>
>>52995473
A well-organized group of a small race should have lair designed for their size, and be difficult to move through for larger races. They should primarily fight with ranged weapons, because they stand little chance in hand-to-hand fighting against larger and stronger races, and with long melee weapons like spears to make the most of their numbers. They should make frequent use of poison, or even resort to smearing their weapons with filth if poison isn't available. Traps should be common, and if possible they should be employing any tameable animals they can.

Giants and similarly sized species should likewise design their dwellings with their size and strength in mind. Doors too large for humans to open without great effort, locks too big and heavy for typical lockpicks to unlock, stairs too large to walk up and down easily, treasure stored out of reach. They should have their own pets and guard animals that wont attack giants but will attack something human-sized.
>>
>>52995669
Most DM's, in my experience, don't allow fuckery with base races, though I do think that would be fine.
>>
>>52995632
5e clerics technically don't draw power from a god anymore I believe and could go without one and simply follow a 'domain' (though they'd have problems relating to divine intervention being unlikely to work). There's no 'evil' and 'good' except for them being personality descriptors, or when applied to extraplanar beings and such and they don't really have any meaning.
Paladins definitely don't rely on a god.
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>52995669
>Your DM thought v.human was an effective +4 to one stat
>>
>>52995691
it's a multi part story

the paladin basicly has oath of crown but his back story is that he doesn't trust his country anymore so he keeps his oath but keeps it for the gods as he's very religious. instead of breaking his oath, he keeps it just because be thinks it's something his main god would want him to do.

the new guy basicly treats the setting as if it's the 21 centry and ruins everyones fun being a clasic edgy rogue that I've constantly seen on this site but never witnessed until recently.
>>
>>52995706
PHB feats that give int include keen mind and linguist, both which are kind of pure garbage.
From UA feats from races, prodigy and human determination are ok, and so are the feat for skills ones.
>>
I was thinking of playing a goblin for an upcoming campaign. I feel like they allow for a lot of cool creative role play and such. Any suggestions for classes? Nimble escape is amazing. Seems good for a caster or ranger. Was also possibly thinking of running a triton storm or sea sorcerer

What uncommon races do you guys like running for interesting characters?
>>
>>52995669
Your DM is a retard. Don't give suggestions using house rules.
>>
>>52995753
o r
>>
>>52995726
>>52995753
>>52995708
>>52995781
Alright, then just the Vendalken.

Or Gnomes, but fuck gnomes. +2 INT isn't worth dealing with gnomes.
>>
>>52995780
Wild magic sorcerer
>>
>>52995794
read >>52995706
and >>52995778

variant human can get +2 int without being retarded, and even then it's better than playing fucking gnomes.
>>
Would it ruin 5e's design if races didn't dictate which stats the points went into, just gave them a flat number to allocate and dictate that nothing can overlap? Half-elves would get

+2 to any stat
+1 to any stat
+1 to any stat

Hill Dwarves would get
+2 to any stat
+1 to any stat

That sort of thing.
>>
>>52995810
Instantly, yes, because then no one would play anything but Half Elves in your design.
>>
>>52995810
it would break absolutely everything, yeah. +1 to three stats is instantly superior to +2 to one and +1 to another, so shit like half-elf would be even stronger and stuff with strong as fuck racial feats would fit into anything you'd want.

>aarakocra wizard
>mountain dwarf any caster with +2 dex and +2 main casting stat

yeah, it'd be stupid...
>>
>>52995810
Mountain dwarfs would be way more powerful because the +2 strength has anti-synergy with both armour proficiency and the dwarf's 'doesn't need strength to wear armour'.
Tieflings would be more powerful because +1 intellect on them is fucking useless

that sort of thing

It would unbalance things.

The entire point of +stats is that they gently encourage people to play certain classes with certain races, yet there's no extreme penalties for trying to play a race in a class that it doesn't normally suit, yet it's ever so slightly less optimal. Which is actually a good thing.
>>
>>52995822
Why? Do the other benefits of the different races not compensate for less ability score bonuses? And what about Mountain Dwarf that gets +2
>>
>>52995780
Deepstalker Ranger is a good one. If you pick up the Skulker feat you can be effectivally invisible in anything but broad daylight.

Druid would be interesting, especially Moon. You can turn into a constrictor snake, drag the enemy away and kill him while hidden.

Fighter could also be fun, Goblin Knight sounds like an interesting idea.
>>
>>52995865
>>52995863
>>52995822
Cool, thanks. I'm still trying to get a good grasp on certain design choices. I don't intend to homebrew anything, I mostly just wanted to know why 5e works the way it does.
>>
>>52995889
if anything, make it so that they get their main +2 to a fixed ability score, and have a variable +1 so you can still opt for a higher variety of classes without automatically being optimized at it.

but even then, some stuff like the aarakocra and the mountain dwarf would be pretty strong.
>>
>>52995778
There's also Observant, which I think is the best since it gives you meme-tier Passive Perception and Investigation
>>
>>52995961
missed that one and yeah, looks like the best of the phb bunch. i assumed it was just +1 wis but alas you are right, it can also give +1 int as well.
>>
>>52995925
m dwarf would probably be fine if the +strength was fixed and you could put the +con in another stat instead.

aarkocra is strong because of having native flying, nothing to do with their stats. letting high elves or genasi reassign their +1 bonus wouldnt break anything
>>
>>52995961
Question.

Swashbuckler Rogue with +4 in DEX and CHA with the Alert feat, would you allow it? Because I accidentally went into that build in a campaign.
>>
>>52995753
Hopefully one day you'll learn to read like the man in that gif
>>
>>52995991
And just what that was said is wrong?
I said an 'effective' +4, which represents the +2 saved from not taking a feat and a +2 from the DM's version of v. human.
>>
>>52995989
>+4 in DEX and CHA with the Alert feat
>accidentally into build

That's a multi-step process anon, I don't believe you.

But yeah, the most you're getting out of that mechanically is +13 initiative, and you'd probably still be at the top of the order with the +8. So yeah, I'd allow it.
>>
Is 8,8,8,15,15,15 a good stat spread for a circle of the moon druid?
>>
>>52996018
>not seeing OR in the original post
>to one stat

pls into reading anon, it helps with text-based mediums
>>
>>52996039
I dunno.
Almost every mystic player I've talked with had 4-5/6 of my disciplines.
>>
>>52996039
Okay fair, I accidentally got the +8 and took Alert from there. I was building a Rogue Assassin, but we got a ship and my character became the de facto captain, so I made them into a Swashbuckler.
>>
>>52996054
You are fucked if you are ever attacked outside bear form
>>
>>52994036
Are you fucking kidding? Your character doesn't walk around calling himself a fighter does he? What explanation do you need for multiclassing?
>>
>>52996091
Well yeah. The whole point is that I attack IN bear form. Why else would I be a druid?
>>
>>52996093
I mean, in-character justification for the up-until-now devout Paladin taking a couple levels of Warlock should be necessary. Bonus points for getting story justification for the dip.
>>
>>52996093
a large number of posters on /tg/ have severe autism and are unable to comprehend that the fictional setting on a game world does not perfectly cleave to the mechanics of the game
>>
New thread boys, hop on in.

>>52996126
>>52996126
>>52996126
>>
>>52995788
>>52996065
Where the holy fuck is this 'OR' relevant?

I didn't say '+2 to one stat and +1 to two others' or '+4 to one stat and +1 to two others' or anything like that.
I just said +4 to one stat.

I don't see where it says '+2 to one stat OR a feat' either, so I assume it's +2 to one stat and a feat (And taking that feat by race instead of by ASI allows you to use that freed up ASI to put an extra +2 onto that stat)
>>
>>52996141
are you legit retarded?
>>
File: 1447366458202.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1447366458202.png
200KB, 356x256px
>>52996171
I think you must have the wrong anon, because literally nothing you've said has made any sense.
>>
Monte Cook is a fucking hack.
>>
>>52996141
Ok, so you say that (Feat + (two +1/1 +2 to stats) is equivalent to +4 to one stat. Or more accurately, that his DM has this idea.

This is a flawed notion, because there is nothing in the post that even implies that would be the case.

By your standards, it's actually an effective +12 to a stat since you have the later ASI's to factor in too (assuming standard, because it becomes +14 for rogues or +16 for fighters).

For context, it would be like me meme-arrowing that you're able to put together a coherent argument when that is clearly not the case.
>>
>>52996254
explain
>>
>>52996288
That's not how this works at all.

An ASI is a feat or a +2 to a stat. Many classes have what are essentially 'compulsory feats' or feats that are much stronger than an ASI. So a fighter might take GWM or PAM.

However, because you are a variant human, you already had that feat, and therefore you don't spend your level 4 feat taking that feat, and therefore you have an extra ASI that other races don't have because other ASIs were too busy getting that feat.
So that +2 from that ASI stacks up on top of your racial bonus to make +4.

Saying you have an effective +12 to a stat is saying 'Variant human gives you 5 feats' and also saying 'There are 5 feats you will definitely take'.

Yes, this assumption doesn't work if there isn't a feat you'll definitely take. Yes, this assumption doesn't work at levels 1-3. But for most situations, it does, and that's why I said 'effective'
>>
>>52991973
>You'll probably think that >>52991959 makes it crazy powerful or something

Nah.

Sorcerer comes with 4 cantrips.

Barb might want a ranged cantrip for pinging enemies outside melee but more importantly, melee attacks like Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade. Lightning Lure could also be nice.

And probably one utility cantrip like presto, mage hand, or minor illusion.
>>
>>52997433
Barbarian does more damage by not using GFB or BB and simply just attacking. Not to mention they can't use those while raging.

They can throw javelins or something instead of using spells. If they can draw two javelins (Your DM is kind of a dick to not let you draw enough throwing weapons) then that's more powerful on a high-strength medium-charisma barbarian (Who's already MAD enough without needing 13 charisma to multiclass too) than a 4d10 attack (Assuming you ever reach level 17 anyway, before that it's either 3d10 or 2d10 which is even weaker).
>>
>>52988949

Might need help with this one.

Party just got to the underdark (2 sessions in it so far) and my character just died.

How the fuck do I come up with an interesting character from here? Really don't want to play a Drow.
>>
>>52993999
>their higher level class features, which are honestly quite lackluster.
Like more than 3 rages per day? Or a rage that doesn't end after one round of not fighting? Or even just effective immunity to being surprised?
Thread posts: 401
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.