[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 41

File: 1469422951440.jpg (841KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1469422951440.jpg
841KB, 1000x1000px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52925801
>>
>>52932778
no thread question? come on, dude
>>
File: 1485671185467.jpg (65KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
1485671185467.jpg
65KB, 626x626px
>player: "oh great another 10 by 10 dungeon hallway"
>>
File: 15.jpg (15KB, 440x96px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
15KB, 440x96px
Is there any possible way to have a Conquest Paladin that is neutral or even good in general disposition without destroying the universe or is that too much of a stretch for even a goddamn wizard from a coast?
>>
>>52932803
/5eg/ moves very fast and people bring their own, naturally occurring questions. If you really need a conversation-starter, ask your own question,
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>52932808
>You hear a click and the walls start closing in
>Another wall starts to drop in front of the door on the far end
>As you start moving down the hallway you realize it was an illusion
>Tiles start to give out under your feet make decisions saving throws

Lure them into a false sense of security, then make them realize the 10ft pole exists for a reason and to trust nothing not even a hallway.
>>
>>52932938
Fucking phone
>Hallway is longer than it appears
>Dex saving throws
>>
>>52932930
Do you want pfg shit posts? Because that's how we get pfg shit posts.
>>
File: tumblr_mfvk551cPG1s1h6amo1_500.jpg (67KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mfvk551cPG1s1h6amo1_500.jpg
67KB, 500x496px
>starting new campaign with my bros
>one friend brings his GF
so what type of goblinoid are you?
>oh I'm not playing a goblinoid
oh sweet it's been a while since we've had an orc
>oh I'm not playing an orc either.

>mfw
women are the worst.
>>
>>52932981
You get shitposts in Pfg because most everyone still playing it is shit.
>>
>>52933021
So what's she playing?
>>
>>52933021
did yall say it was a goblinoid campaign?
>>
>>52933023
And they're leaking over here as "memes" to get discussion going in threads. Unfortunately most people can't be trusted to not fuck up something decent.
>>
>>52932808
How do I make dungeons interesting and not a series of square rooms and hallways
>>
Feels about the Stone Sorcerer?
>>
>>52933052
every campaign is a goblin campaign
sometimes I play a goblin, sometimes I play a hobgoblin but other than orky's we don't accept other races as they always complicate things.
>>
>>52933113
Verticality

Make massive chambers where the entry is in the floor and exit on the ceiling, where the pit trap is the means of progression, and where falling damage actually means something.
>>
>>52933129
Wait, did your friend tell her that last bit?
>>
It takes Pact of Tome several levels to surpass Pact of Chain in utility. Also, never forget the Darkness+Imp+Devil's Sight combo
>>
>>52933151
maybe he proabably thought it would be okay seeign as this was our fourth goblin campaign and we changed characters each time so maybe he thought we would be lenient, we let her be a hummie wild mage captive. her boyfriend played a half orc and they had a romance sub plot.

stupid hummies always complicate everything.
>>
>>52933129
okay but did anyone actually tell her this?
>>
>>52933162
idk about that man, i have 13 spells at lvl 3 with Tome
>>
>>52933113
See
>>52932938
>>52932959

Also >>52933145 has a pretty solid idea, hide things around the room that lead to a safer or more direct path and possibly loot. Stick some mimics in a room that look like random furniture or chests. Have Ropers hiding near rubble from a semi collapsed portion of the hallway.
>>
>>52933162
>Take find familiar as a ritual spell
>take guidance as a cantrip
>and shillaleagh
>be half of each other pact and then some
>lacking utility

I mean that's a great combo but still
>>
>>52933113
If you literally actually mean your dungeons are nothing more than rooms and hallways, anything. I'll give you some stuff to think about.
>the construction is unusual
Made of a weird material. Incorporates a lot of natural features, like rooms connected to small caves which have holes to look through into other rooms or tunnels to squeeze through that might put them somewhere else. The lighting is provided by glowing mushrooms or crystals. Etc
>the monsters
There's a unique social structure the party can explore/exploit. The creatures stalk and ambush the party. There's only a few creatures but they keep coming back.
>make each room different
Take a base room. Now change one thing. Now you have a special room. A room with a bottomless pit, a room with scaffolding, a room with a swinging arm with a pulley, a room with a big forge, a flooded room, a room full of boxes. Even if you put the same encounter in each room they're gonna be different and unique because of the special feature.
>special small things
Skeletons of previous delvers, clues as to what lies ahead, some kind of shrine, any kind of bullshit. Any time you feel like you would say "ok, this goes on for a while-" make it not just go on for a while. If you're having to fast-forward through traversal in your dungeon, you have wasted space.

The DMG has a lot of tables at the end for random shit to roll for and put in your dungeon. Rooms, items, traps, etc. Take a look at that and get some inspiration.
>>
>>52932808
Perfect for my wall of thorns :^)
>>
>>52933245
>13 spells
>The first moment you get access to BoS
Does your DM want to suck your dick or something? What kind of DM would give a player that many magic items at one level?
>>
>>52933296
oh no, mole people are burrowing out from walls and the floor
>>
Quick 5eg

Tell me some non-obvious rooms that can be found in a huge temple
>>
>>52932808
If your players are getting triggered by a hallway, they can get the fuck out. My group got pissy because a lot of the hallways were 5 feet wide and they couldn't maneuver much. Bitch these bandits dug this shit out underground, why would they quadruple their digging efforts to make it easier for invaders to maneuver around to attack them?

That said I am trying to make more interesting dungeons. I am getting bored of dungeons as adventuring space anyway... I tend to avoid them, or make them very realistic (i.e. almsot completely abandoned except for 1 encounter, or a fortress where if they attack one person they need to roll stealth to make sure they don't get attacked by the entire fort)
>>
>>52933320
Infirmary where priests took care of sick and wounded
>>
>>52933308
Wall of stone to block them off ot buy afew rounds
>>
im bringing in a new LE char to the party and to do so i have to get rid of someone (the party is being assigned an extra member by the army (my old character left the party), im going to take that characters identity before the party meets them). we're all in a large city at the moment and i have one day to take out the target. im a thief with no magical abilities/items, though i am very persuasive, and the target is an academic

can you guys think of a cool way of getting rid of the target besides just killing them?
>>
>>52933347
oh no, the molemen can teleport
>>
>>52933354
Antilife shell
>>
>>52932808
>Have players go through sewer/corridor
>Have it be home to something far beyond the players level
>Make maze of sewers
>Players scared as fuck of said creature observing them in the dark corners of the sewer/narrow corridors
>Have soundboard on hand for extra spook

It was improvised for the tunnel part for Dragon Hoard and they thought it was the best part. Dropped the campaign shortly after in favor of another campaign
>>
>>52933320
A storage room full of chairs, altars, candelabras, etc
A music room with lots of instruments. Maybe something cool happens when interacted with.
A crypt underneath. Might be rich tombs, might be skeletons.
Offices for clergy? For day shit? Or apartments
>>
>>52933320
Store room where supplies where kept
>>
>>52932938
>dexterity saving throws

Why the fuck did these need to exist? There was literally nothing wrong with Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. They were even part of the D&D identity, and D&D is nothing without its identity. That's why HP, AC, alignment, and multiple other shitty mechanics haven't been fixed despite there being obvious ways to objectively improve the game through doing so.

However, Merals wanted to pander to AD&D grognards so he went back to "every ability score can be used to save" because Charisma saves ("OMG you are using your EGO and CHARM to protect yourself! it's a very struggle for your soul!") or intelligence ("you have to be SMART enough to fight off the intellect devourer's mind blast, cause it;s the power of your minddd") or Strength (this one I can actually see for bullrushing but otherwise no) are so undervalued in D&D otherwise. So it's great that despite having a good Wisdom, which is defined as your willpower, you can still fall victim to all manner of mental attacks, but if you are low-Strength you'll get fucked by physical attacks despite being tough as fuck. All they did was spread out the saves for no reason and make characters weak to shit for no fucking reason. Saves might as well not exist as a mechanic because of how fucking ambiguous it is as to when you use them. Sure it's more "elegant" in some ways but in others it's just clunky as fuck, and if you are even pretending D&D is meant to be designed elegantly then you need to burn out the entire system and rewrite everything.
>>
>>52933405
Sorry about the diagnosis.
>>
>>52933416
What diagnosis? Being 100% right?
>>
When has your DM let you get away with breaking the rules of the spell for plot reasons

>ranger's animal companion kills the cloud giant countess in SKT and we really want her sick loot
>DM lets me use reincarnate and she comes back as a drow
>the countess had killed 2 of King Hekaton's kids who tried to form a political allience with her after running away
>hekaton decides bringing them back as smallfolk would be a gitting punishment for their misbehavior
>one comes back as a hill dwarf and one as a dragonborn
>everyone has a good laugh but them
>>
>>52933405
>Elegant
>5e

They made that system as bare bones as possible to try and get more people playing, they are attempting to accommodate the lowest common denominator to stay relevant in the future.
>>
>>52933405
Are Fortitude Reflex and Will not the same fucking thing under a different name?
>>
>>52933447
Than why the fuck are you in /5eg/?
>>
>>52933429
It's so impressive how treatment is these days. It's almost like you're normal.
>>
>>52933405
Then change the saves in your game to Fort, Reflex, and Will. Easy.
>>
>>52933405
>when mommy didn't get you your tendies on time
>>
>>52933466
Because it doesn't bother me and it's what my friends play, even though I don't mind the system I'm willing to admit some of it's faults. Do they need to be changed? Not really it'd complicate the system they built from the ground up to be simplistic.
>>
>>52933405
>However, Merals wanted to pander to AD&D grognards so he went back to "every ability score can be used to save"
t. Never read AD&D
Only WIS affected saves (and only magical saves). Otherwise saves were determined by class.
>>
>>52933503
Kek
>>
>>52933405
Why is it that when people complain about Mearls they always misspell his name as Merals?
>>
Advice for statting something? I want my player's to fight the ghost of a fallen hero (he was a paladin) but I'm drawing a blank on how I should go about it.
>>
>>52933503
My mom always gets the tendies on time you slanderous fuck!
>>
>>52933581
What level are they?
>>
>>52933563
Autists can't spell.
>>
>>52933581
a ghost with class levels in paladin
>>
>>52933600
Right now 4, but I'm planning ahead so they should be around 10-12 when they face him.
>>
>>52933618
Seriously just give him some paladin levels
>>
>>52933618
Well depending on how you want to run it >>52933636 has a point.

Personally though I'd Frankenstein something together starting with the Gladiator as a base. Bump the AC to 18, depending on if he'll have minions or not also give a boost to HP, give him the damage resistances and immunities along with conditions from the ghost. Then plug in some spells (or all) from the Death Knight to give it the paladin flavor.

The main thing will also be deciding if you want the ghost to be able to posses people or not.
>>
>>52933377
nice, but in before party wipe.
You need to make sure they know there's stuff they could run into that's beyond their ken and capabilities first somehow.
>>
>>52933307
I just built my character right, DM had no say in it. I have the spell you get from being a tiefling, i have all the spells allowed to me, plus the extra spells from BoS, BoAS, and I've got 2 rituals from the evocation
>>
>>52933748
He's LG, doesn't want to fight the party he's just compelled to because his spirit is guarding an item they need. He wants the party to defeat him so he can move on but has no way of really pulling his punches.
>>
File: 1425091607035.gif (2MB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
1425091607035.gif
2MB, 264x400px
What's better, 2d20 take the highest or 3d20 take the middle?
>>
>>52933581
Give the actions, special traits, immunities and resistances of the phantom warrior in Curse of Strahd to the champion in Volo's Guide to Monsters.
>>
>>52933913
in what context
>>
>>52933904
Then he'd probably avoid possession, also reflavor any necrotic as radiant.
>>
>>52933405
To my recollection, most saves are dex wis and con saves in 5e, just with a couple of changed ones for strenght and a mere few for int and cha.

Of all the things to complain about 5e, saves is a nitpick. It stilll functions fine- perhaps more sensibly for some saves.
It's ok to have nitpicks though. I have a few minor ones of my own. Like, why the disarm rule isn't in the players handbook and is instead in the dungeon masters guide only.

One think I actually like a lot about 5e is how shot on the run and spring attack are now standard affair and not restrictive on how you use the feature.
>>
File: dc4a939a.png (433KB, 703x469px) Image search: [Google]
dc4a939a.png
433KB, 703x469px
>observant feat
>5 in Wis
>expertise in perception
>>
File: 1409697182344.png (307KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1409697182344.png
307KB, 500x500px
Is there a 5e NPC codex somewhere?
The back of the Monster Manual isn't really cutting it for me.
>>
>>52934169
There's another one in the back of Volo's Guide to Monsters, but that's it.
>>
>>52934135
>he still can't see why his wife left
>>
https://pastebin.com/gMDS2u5j
>Minotaur

>Reckless
>+1 Str
>At the start of your next turn you can choose to gain advantage on all attack rolls until the end of your next turn but all attack rolls against you also have advantage.

>The Sea Faring Kind
>+1 Dex
>You gain a swim and climb speed equal to your highest movespeed.
>You also gain proficiency carpentry and rope work.

>Work Bull
>+1 Str
>You count as two size categories larger for the purposes of push and pull. 1 Size category larger for the purposes of lift and carry.
Would merfolk be fine with repeating triton or are they unique enough?

Revenant

>Undying Hatred
>+1 Con
>Relentless nature now returns 3 hp per turn as opposed to 1.

>Expert Hunter
>+1 Wis
>Gain proficiency in Survival. If you are already proficient in survival gain expertise.
>In addition, gain advantage on attack rolls against any creature involved in your goal for the first round of combat.

>Hound of Tindalos
>+1 Int
>You may cast Dimension Door once You may only use it to appear within a non-curved corner of an available space. You regain the ability when you have completed a step in your goal. This may be as simple as finding new evidence.

>Baleful Screech
>+1 Cha
>Gain proficiency in intimidation. If you are already proficient in intimidation gain expertise.
>In addition , you can scream and expend two hit dice worth of HP to force each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. (DC 8+Cha+Proficiency)
A target automatically succeeds if it can’t hear you. On a failed save, a target becomes frightened for 1 minute.
If the frightened target takes any damage, it
can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.
>>
>>52934135
>>52934198
But can he see why kids love okay I'll stop.
>>
>>52934135
>Still can't see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch
>>
>>52934208
evidence or direction*
Fuck me I messed up that sentence.
>>
File: 1394321026957.gif (2MB, 395x310px) Image search: [Google]
1394321026957.gif
2MB, 395x310px
>>52933956
Just on average, which would someone prefer? Clearly in a hail Mary situation where you need an 18-20, 2d20 take highest is best, but when does 3d20 take middle become better?
>>
>>52933348
You could send them for an exotic vacation. Perhaps aboard a ship. All expenses paid.
>>
>>52933368
t-they're undead molemen
>>
>>52933360

Reminder that bless is outperformed by cure wounds.
>>
>>52934259
they wouldnt do it because they were really looking forward to going on an adventure
>>
File: cancun.jpg (39KB, 550x369px) Image search: [Google]
cancun.jpg
39KB, 550x369px
how would you make a repelling encounter dangerous/fun
>>
>>52933581
there should be a paladin in the mm or volo's annexes.
>>
>>52933447
Fewer rules is not worse than many rules, if the rules serve mostly to restrict and overcomplicate something ultimately simple.

3.5e and 4e and Pathfinder's overcomplicated and overly restricting rules for movement and basic actions, do not actually have more depth.
Just more specificity.

Simpler rulesets are potentially more powerful.
>>
>>52934510
Volo's has a CR 8 Blackguard. Which is interesting given those aren't in 5e proper. I think it was an Oathbreaker.
>>
>>52934210
>>52934213
Oathbreaker.
>>
>>52934489
Make it a skill challenge, and, this being an adventure, halfway down the line they're attacked by flying minons/creatures.
>>
>>52934489
Not even memeing, pull a Battletoads and have them get attacked while going down.
>>
File: ezgif-2-a12f638160.gif (291KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-2-a12f638160.gif
291KB, 375x375px
>>52934511
>i want to-
>attack of opportunity
>im gonna mov-
>attack of opportunity
>im gonna switch out my wea-
>attack of opportunity
>>
>>52934553
I'd have weak flying minions and medium wall crawling ones in between.
>>
>>52934489
Monsters with climb speed. They try to pull out anchors. Having to keep one hand on your line to keep the friction on it so you don't fall. Flying creatures dive bomb the players then fly off. Lightning strikes (make the wall they're rappelling down on a 10x10 grid, roll 2d10 to determine what square the lightning hits)
Critters climb down the ropes towards the characters, they've got only 3 or 4 rounds to get them off until the rope breaks from the weight.
Somebody casts suggestion on them to do something innocuous that involves taking both hands off the rope so they fall.
Using the disarm action on them so they drop their shit.
>>
>>52934489
>Halfway down they find an unexplored tunnel
>they go explore
>when they get back, the rapelling hole is gone
DUN DUN DUN
>>
>>52934231
It doesn't matter what kind of situation you're in, it's never better.
>>
>>52933360
this is some next level autism and i don't think it even represent reliably any human driven combat.

like, no of the initial assumptions make sense and even then, it is fucking stupid to compare BLESS with CURE WOUNDS when they do completely different things. cure wounds can only heal a single person while bless can 'prevent damage' either by killing something a round faster or by helping pass save DCs and that's somehow not taken into account at all?
>>
>>52933563
Your mistake is thinking there is more that one autist doing it.
Many can and have gripes with 5e, but Merals guy is only the shittiest.
>>
>>52932778
How do I play a character who is racist against half-breeds?
What's the best way that doesn't make me "that guy"
>>
>>52934680
But it's always better than 2d20 take lowest, right? I was thinking of using a half advantage, I just wanted to be sure it was actually always better than disadvantage and never better than advantage.
>>
>>52934553
Flying and climbing creatures it is, not sure how I'd mix them though.
Anyone relying on melee or two handed would be at a huge disadvantage though, but I guess that's the challenge in it, maybe even encourage using other actions than Attack.
>>
>>52934754
how about not being a racist?
i don't know if you are looking to vent some IRL shit in your tabletop but racism for the sake of ??? is still fucked up.
>>
>>52934787
Not venting anything, just want to maybe add a flaw to my characters.
>>
>>52934798
Start with "Why?"
>>
>>52934798
And that's the best you could come up with? Not liking something is hardly a flaw.
>>
>>52934760
It is always better than disadvantage yes but I don't think it's actually better than just rolling one dice. It has a lower deviation but it should still have the same average.
>>
>>52934787
i assume you also disallow evil characters? eg murderers, thieves, etc.
>>
>>52934798
i'd say start with being a drunk or a gambler, a flaw that only hurts you and isn't an excuse to hurt others.
>>
>>52934787

Sometimes RPGs can be a decent way of working through socially relevant issues.

Just like Sci-Fi shows have handled NotRacism! under a variety of different guises you can touch on aspects of IRL racism in a game.

That is of course assuming you game with mature adults and not people that drop /pol/ memes at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>52934807
Well because I've already have the typical flaws in all my other characters, greedy, stupid, etc...And since I havent had the chance to play a good evil campaign, I need to make my character have a flaw, or a few flaws. I like making multi-faceted characters.
>>
>>52934695

>this is some next level autism and i don't think it even represent reliably any human driven combat.

It certainly doesn't, but it does represent the best case for bless.

The initial assumptions make sense for showing how bless operates in the HP maximization theory. They have different mechanics, but they do the same thing; they increase the amount of HP you have going from one combat to the next combat. The DC's aren't taken into account because any enemy monster that can cause those conditions gets merked if you use the normal encounter building formulae.
>>
>>52934754
I don't know about your dm but it wouldn't be that hard. Half things pretty much all have negative reputations. It would be good if you looked at each of them differently too. When I run games for example half orcs are looked at with either disgust or pity because either your mother was raped or your dad fucked some gross orc
>>
>>52934821
Hmmm

What about roll 4, take second highest? We're getting too involved, but I wanna know.
>>
>>52934863
>your dad fucked some gross orc
orcesses are not gross dude
>>
>>52934829
Not that guy, but if your flaws clash with the party is when you will have trouble at my table.
Unless everyone agrees, then it's like >>52934840 says.

>>52934853
Race?
A human may have trouble with a lot of people, an elf my hate the dilution of his kins blood, etc.
>>
File: 27.jpg (205KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
27.jpg
205KB, 640x800px
>>52933113
Make them not a series of square rooms and hallways.
>>
>>52934863
This guy gets it. As for the other responses, I'm not making it a fatal flaw, it's an RP element I'm adding to the game.
My character's hatred would be mostly focusing her hatred on half-elves, but would easily expand it to half-orcs if needed.
That all being said, she's also very pragmatic and would value usefulness above anything, so it wouldn't like stop her from doing most things in interactions with half-breeds
>>
>>52934829
thieves and assassins usually have ulterior motives and stealing and killing is a means to a cause. sociopathic homicides don't offer anything to any table and racism is just as a trait doesn't really offer anything at all for the character. if his family was killed by goblins you might be seeking vengeance, this is a personal struggle confronted by risks and dangers, with a chance of failure. on the other hand if you were thought to treat goblins like shit and no other ideal about it, there's no risk, he will just act like a douchebag or burst in violence when appropriate, but won't risk anything for his ideal. just like in real life.
>>
File: 1493252497433.jpg (48KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493252497433.jpg
48KB, 600x300px
>>52934883
How do you even begin to map out something like this
>>
>>52934874
that would actually be better than just rolling one dice but also kinda convoluted don't you think? just make them role a d4 and add it to the d20 or something like that.
>>
>He doesn't let his players roll wisdom to see if they know the answer to a riddle

LOL never come to my table
>>
>>52934936
k.
>>
>>52934858
>things fit my theory only if you ignore everything else that doesn't fit
sure thing
>>
>>52933465
Yup, but 5e adds Str, Dex, and Cha saves that barely get used.
>>
>>52934914
> adding characteristics to your characters is bad if they make me feel bad

:thinking:

i was playing a half orc and one time some ship captain wouldnt help the party because of that, so we had to find another solution. you could easily flip this around and have a party member blocking a solution, or creating another etc. in this manner

grow up LUL
>>
>>52934933
Eh. The reason advantage and disadvantage is how it is is because they want to avoid adding. It's kind of a harsh brute way to change a curve, a hard modifier. It's subtler to knead the average with extra dice and you take one.
>>
>>52933447
Bare bones doesn't mean "lowest common denominator"
The fewer rules you have the quicker it is to go through combat. The logic is that if you want complexity you can add it, and in tabletop, in my opinion it's always better to add a rule, then take one away.
>>
>>52934892
hatred =/= racism
>>
>>52934966
Dex is used a lot.
Cha, sometimes.
Str works when you are being smashed in the face with a shield
>>
>>52934956

Any action you take in combat will change the amount of HP you have at the end of combat. The actions that result in the greatest amount of HP at the end of combat are the best actions if your goal is to survive the most combat. If bless prevents less damage than cure wounds can restore on average then it is a worse option. The theory is internally consistent and the model reflects the strongest argument against it. The theory isn't wrong.
>>
>>52934966
>dex saves are barely used
>>
>>52933447
3e turned every little thing into crunch in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator who is unable to roleplay. This causes people to seriously think that the rules trump everything including logic, established facts, the laws of physics, common sense, and even when the resolution of said crunch is unable to be comprehended by the human mind
>>
>>52934982
Lowest common denominator in this case would be kids or those unfamiliar with a system like DnD. Not necessarily a bad thing but it makes people who are used to systems like 3.x and 4 dislike it, personally I think it's fine and agree if you want more complexity port stuff in no need to throw a fit like the guy I was responding to.
>>
>>52933021
>>52933129
>>52933220
Is this some sort of elaborate meme
>>
>>52934750
Your post may have held some relevance if only you bothered to spell the name correctly.
What did Merals ever do to you.
>>
>>52934306
Stop it DM let the druid do his work
>>
>>52935102
Yeah, adding in your own rules is fine, but taking away rules gets wonky for me. It feels more arbitary to take a rule out then to add a rule. So for those who liked 3.x and 4.x or pathfinder, they can just throw in what they like. I don't think there are rules in the 5e books that directly contradict many of those movement rules.
>>
>>52935131
Am I being bamboozled?
>>
>>52935015
>The theory is internally consistent
except it doesn't take into effect any saving throw disables, no save DC attacks, it requires random attacking enemies, it doesn't work when the fight is timed, it doesn't consider ANY other resource other than hp, it assumes maximum hp lost and not how cure wounds can ONLY heal one person and no one else, how it stop working after more than 3 rounds of combat, doesn't take into effect feats, class features, concentration, etc.

i don't want to say that you have your ass way too deep down your ass, but take a second to breathe.

i don't know what attacks you are making in your simulation, how it is working with multi attack roll spells, with extra attack, etc. casting bless in combat costs 1 spell slot and 1 action, that action might deal for a cleric or a paladin 1d8~2d6+STR in damage, and if you cast it before combat it costs no damage at all. bless is literally free damage with a blanket suite of protection effects and it doesn't assume the combat is going to be brain dead hacking OR that you will automatically succeed at it (moving onto another combat, having time to heal, etc.).
>>
Fluffing out some parts of a setting. Interesting ideas for some cultures?
>Greco-Roman Giants
>French Elves
>>
File: Storm Giant.png (336KB, 495x325px) Image search: [Google]
Storm Giant.png
336KB, 495x325px
>>52935189
>Greco-Roman Giants
Faerûn?
>>
>>52935160
You forgot that even if we take the simulation at face value and the assumptions as correct, landing attacks and passing saves is more fun than coming out of the fight with 2-3 extra HP (which is a meaningless amount once the party starts applying their hit die on short rest).
>>
>>52935052
>and even when the resolution of said crunch is unable to be comprehended by the human mind
I once asked a player to explain how lunge is going to hit something ten feet away AND beyond a portcullis when the combined length of his arm and weapon aren't even half of that.

He couldn't, and got pissed when I vetoed the action.
>>
>>52933447
>>52934511
>>52934982
>>52935102
>>52935139
I'm baffled why the 3e and 3PF systems are lauded as complex and simulationalist rich systems because they had rules for every little thing. That's not good game design, that's autistic game design and awkward as fuck in a real game.
Bogging down methods of combat and other things behind feat chains was not good game design.
Having movement a one way static street was not good game design.
>>
File: MXPP8HP.png (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
MXPP8HP.png
27KB, 400x400px
I dont think the extra 5 ft in the Thief jump is as strong as you guys were saying.

I think Im going to be a swashbuckler instead
>>
>>52935222
But the Hill Giants are English.
>>
File: guile-sonic-boom.jpg (23KB, 350x285px) Image search: [Google]
guile-sonic-boom.jpg
23KB, 350x285px
>>52935271
Air slashing.
>>
>>52935251
this too, it also costs REAL TIME. ending the encounter in one less hit, even ignoring initiative (is that being considered in the simulation?) means you spend less time per combat. even if you don't lose any hp after needing that extra hit, (mob go first, miss, you go next, miss, teammate goes next hits and kill mob) it's valuable encounter time being 'wasted' and for any additional roll it's a new chance for all the calculations to go to shit.

like i originally said, bless might be enough for that assassin to hit the target turn 1, enough for the paladin to hit both attacks and smite, enough for the barbarian to land the great weapon master cleave, and maybe even land the bonus action attack if he killed the target.

and yes, it is JUST 12.5% chance of making a miss into a hit, but that one hit that lands can easily out damage any 1st level spell or kill a target (potentially saving X amount of hp).
>>
How do i keep a level 1 npc alive in a level 9 or higher dungeon?
>>
>>52935160

Which DC's do you want tested? Any spell that isn't a variation of fireball isn't worth it.

>It requires random attacking enemies

Stopped reading there. My original argument is that bless is bad. The best case for bless is versus random attacking enemies. If I can prove that the best bless is bad, then I have proven all blesses are bad. Congratulations on failing basic logic.

>>52935251

That's the whole problem. Landing attacks is fun, but it isn't good. Likewise, spells like slow, bane, elemental weapon, investiture, and dozens of others are bad. Not just bad like bless being slightly worse than cure wounds, but so bad they are worse than taking the dodge action. The ultimate goal is to find ways to rework all the spells so that they can sometimes be better than cure wounds. Literally once characters are level 3, the best spell is prayer of healing, aura of vitality, heal, and fireball and cone of cold sometimes.
>>
>>52935352
Keep him about 20 feet in front of you at all times
>>
>>52935352
They camp outside and run at the first sign of danger
>>
>>52935309
Fast climb and extra combat turn are the only useful Thief abilities. Fast Hands is nice early one but quickly loses usefulness.

Anyone who told you otherwise was deceiving you.
>>
>>52935331

>smite

worse than using the cure wounds after combat, even versus undead and fiends, except on a crit. and like i keep saying, because no one seems to accept it despite proof, more damage only matters in the HP maximization theory if it prevents hits. Bless can only meaningfully contribute that well versus enemies with massive HP pools.
>>
>>52935373
i like being able to use all my magical items as a bonus

even just throwing ball bearings everwhere is funni
>>
>>52935363
Thats sorta the plan if i can allow it. The npc is a teenager mercenary who is joining is to explore an ancient city. In combat i control the character since i hired the young boy.
>>
>>52935309
Good choice
>>
>>52934918
Isometric paper I guess?
>>
>>52935389
But your HP maximization theory is inherently flawed, because HP is a resource to be consumed like any other - characters fight just as well with 100 HP as they do with 1 HP. It's why Healing Word is better than Cure Wounds.
>>
If a Revised Ranger uses his companion's ASI to increase Intelligence, is it possible for the companion to learn how to speak normally?
>>
>>52935429

HP is a resource to be consumed. In fact it's the only resource that limits the attack action. You most optimally use the HP resource by taking hits, and you most optimally use spell slots by casting cure wounds so you can make more attack actions. Your argument supports the HP maximization theory. The fact that most people don't play in a way that allows their HP to be completely depleted does not make it wrong.
>>
>>52935447
Only if it's an animal capable of speech, like a bird.
>>
>>52935447
No.
Maybe telepathy, or maybe if it's a giant parrot.
>>
>>52935356
>Literally once characters are level 3, the best spell is prayer of healing, aura of vitality, heal, and fireball and cone of cold sometimes.

only if your combats are theme park attractions with no chance of failure. cure wounds is completely useless because it's worse at preventing damage than just attacking. your logic REQUIRES success and at that point, there's no point in even spending spells because you will just heal everything up on rest.

have you EVER play this game at all?

if anything, as other people has said before, healing words is a lot better than cure wounds because it is better at avoiding damage, by letting a downed ally get more rounds of combat. it's meaningless how much more total combined hp your party has after one cure wound cast, if you sorcerer is still one hit away from getting knocked off or if several teammates are one hit from getting knocked off and you can only heal one of them.
>>
>>52935447
Just because something is smart doesn't mean it has the anatomical capabilities of speaking a verbal language
>>
>>52935052
True and that's what makes 5e slightly better, in my opinion, the system can run just fine as is and then you rp out what isn't there. Or if you're a 3.x or 4e person you can easily bolt on extra to replicate the system you need instead of using the other method.

Trying to run bare bones in the previous two would be far harder than running 5e with extra added.
>>
I will now declare that cure wounds anon is mentally handicapped and might have a sexual fascination with the spell. I can't comprehend how anyone would be so adamant to defend that argument.
>>
>>52935447
If you want your pet to speak, best thing you can do is find a druid to cast awaken on it
>>
>>52935545
That's supposed to subject them to rules where they can choose to leave. Would it be different for a Beast Conclave?
>>
>>52935475
Have you tried simulating a combat beyond level 6, or where the PCs use more than one spell slot in the encounter?
>>
>>52935447
Probably not, but it could be taught to read and write.
>>
>>52935296
Never did I personally say that or was trying to imply that. To me 5e is better due to it running with "bare bones" compared to others for several reasons. One being it makes it so new players aren't overwhelmed and less likely to play, two it runs just fine as is now it could be improved but that's not a requirement. Finally because it is bare bones and runs fine if autists need table after table to resolve every little thing they can easily put that into this system and not cause too much of a problem, where as removing stuff from previous editions could very well make everything wonky if not just unfun to play.
>>
>>52935571
The pet always has the ideal, “The ranger who travels with me is a beloved companion for whom I would gladly give my life”. I guess it's up to the DM if that goes away or not, but I don't think it should
>>
>>52935571
The rules for Revised Ranger describe the beast as genuinely loving the Ranger, and being willing to give their life for them.

I imagine that an Awakened Animal Companion would still like their Ranger a lot.
>>
>>52935542
Because his "simulation", whose code he hasn't provided and made under assumptions that favor his argument, validates him.
>>
>>52935509

>only if your combats are theme park attractions with no chance of failure.

The only thing that can save you then are fireball/burning hands variations or magic weapon, if you don't have a magic weapon attack. by the book, deadly encounters can be easily defeated just by attacking them. Moreover, level 5+ characters with extra attack can take on deadly encounters of 8+ just by attacking them. This is apparent to anyone who has played for a long time. The solutions are to make encounters that don't follow the DMG scale and require players to use specific contextual actions that aren't described in the book, like dragging an enemy into siege weapon fire or tripping them off a cliff.

Healing word becomes better than cure wounds once you are fighting enemies over a certain cr, usually the average CR 2.

>>52935588

I've tested multiple attack spells like fireball, magic missle, burning hands, smite every round. Otherwise, I have tested only single casts because I am trying to compare them to single casts of heal. Also level 6 is massive when you have a fighter. The level 6 party was able to kill 5 hook horrors just by attacking. Beyond level 6 power scales slowly, and nothing can compare to higher level casts of fireball, other than aura of vitality and heal.
>>
>>52935621
But if the animal companion woke then they'd realize the tyranny of the class system and fight against it.
>>
>>52935571
>>52935611
Although, you can't awaken an Ape or Giant Weasel. Their base int is too high
>>
File: High Wis Barbarian.png (573KB, 684x1321px) Image search: [Google]
High Wis Barbarian.png
573KB, 684x1321px
>>52935661
>>
>>52935661
Someone needs a free helicopter ride
>>
>>52933405
>3 good saves
>3 bad saves
and those are used to balance shit around
>>
>>52935693
I now want a comedy movie about a pair of Walking memes, an ANCApistani and a Gommie, failing a helicopter drop execution and messing around in Las Vegas.
>>
>>52935447
The real question is if you get an ape pet and get its INT up to 16 by using every boost, can it learn to become a wizard?
>>
>>52935768

8 int is good enough :^)
>>
>>52935737
I'd watch it
>>
File: 1524126_orig.png (450KB, 294x644px) Image search: [Google]
1524126_orig.png
450KB, 294x644px
I asked this in the last thread but got no response.

I'm thinking of throwing a Scarecrow at a Lvl1 party of 5. I think it would be pretty tough, if not lethal, unless they had fire. It's a relatively low magic setting and not everyone has rolled a character yet so idk what's gonna happen.

If I give them a torch, are there rules for burning, a-la lighting something on fire with a torch? Should I just treat it like a fire weapon? like 1d6 fire damage?
>>
>>52935849
there has to be some 'catching fire' rules somewhere, probably the DMG, or compare it to stuff like create bonfire.
>>
Is there a class similar to the 3.5 skirmisher?
>>
The filthy white knight weeaboo brought his likely retarded girlfriend to todays session. Shes playing a gnome druid because according to him "she wanted to play a nature thing" she hardly spoke a word the whole time.

What should I do about this predicament/5eg/?
>>
>>52935849
A torch is an improvised weapon which uses Str for its to hit bonus and deals 1 fire damage on a hit

5 level 1's will defeat the scarecrow handily. A scarecrow is CR 1 so its a challenge for 4 level 1's and you have 5
>>
File: Damages chart.png (209KB, 456x308px) Image search: [Google]
Damages chart.png
209KB, 456x308px
>>52935849
Guide yourself by this
>>
>>52935888
Boot them both.
>>
>>52935914
Im not the DM
>>
>>52932923
The closest you'll get to Neutral with the Oath is Lawful, what with the whole EMPIRE meme.
>>
>>52935888
>The filthy white knight weeaboo
So this sounds like a person you don't like. why the fuck are you in a group with someone you dislike? Leave, or boot them.
>>
>>52935849
A good burning hands and firebolt would wreck a scarecrow, but if you're wizard isn't going first there's no telling what it'd do against whoever it claws at.
PHB says a torch melee attack deals 1 fire damage. That's not a lot, so considering a scarecrow is made of cloth and straw they could probably set it on fire too, similar to the effects of Alchemist's Fire
>>
File: nope 2.jpg (343KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
nope 2.jpg
343KB, 1000x1000px
>>52935888
Leave immediately and never return.
>>
>>52935888
Leave them, they don't deserve you.
>>
I DM'd a 5e campaign without reading the rules ever
>>
File: 1482213829078.jpg (303KB, 893x541px) Image search: [Google]
1482213829078.jpg
303KB, 893x541px
>>52935984
>>
>>52935932
Becuase i dont have many options and the group is fun. I call him that because he is obsessed with anime and once kicked me from a group chat because i "triggered" one of the girls in the chat
>>
What are some annoying things I can do in the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign?
>>
>>52935984
>>52936004
I played my first session with a DM who hadn't. Having turns outside of combat and rolling to dodge regular attacks was quite something.
>>
File: 6ab.png (34KB, 786x765px) Image search: [Google]
6ab.png
34KB, 786x765px
Hey /5eg/, rolling up a 1st-level bard for a game I'm starting in a few days. Is 14 AC passable if I don't plan on being in melee that often? (Going for Lore at 3rd)
>>
>>52932778
Thought this was /pfg/, guess this anime OP image is just a warning for now.
>>
File: 1489868150921.gif (302KB, 294x266px) Image search: [Google]
1489868150921.gif
302KB, 294x266px
>>52936097
Go for it
>>
>>52936097
Lower levels, yeah it's alright.
>>
>>52936019
so what the fuck are you complaining about? a mild annoyance? if it annoys you that much you leave, if you can put up with it you stay, who the fuck cares? You're the only one who sounds like they're being a dickhead in that group
>>
So I'm looking at magic in 5e, and lower level spells are so much more powerful than in pf! Magic missiles is 3 darts base, and there's a cantrip that does 1d10 damage, wtf? It seems like the scaling evens out a little, but why is it that they boosted lower level magic users combat potential?
>>
>>52936097
14 AC means most 1st level enemies will have a 40-50% chance of hitting you. Totally fine.
>>
>>52936097
Less than 15 is really dangerous territory, try to bump it later.
>>
>>52933818
>Not always assuming that

Not the GM's fault.
>>
>>52936121
Creatures have a lot more HP and are easier to hit, on average.

You will hit, a lot. Its no longer swing-and-a-miss every fucking turn like PF or 3.5
>>
>>52936121
WotC came to he conclusion that most games don't run past 10th level, so they front loaded classes and made it so even basic stuff feels powerful to make it fun.

Also keep in mind they pumped up alot of monsters HP.
>>
>>52936121
Because squirting out a single 1 damage magic missile every turn isn't fun.
>>
>>52936151
>>52936159
Huh, ok. So what you're saying is that it's entirely due to redesigning the monster manual? That's kinda interesting. Front loading is better, I think. Even if games get past 10, it's a bloat fest of spaghetti rules and too much player power. Still waiting on a decent homebrew that caps out at 8-10.
>>
>>52936121
Non-cantrips in 5e don't scale with character level, they scale with the spell slot used to cast them. A 1st-level magic missile is 3 darts, but it's *always* 3 darts no matter your character level. 3rd-level fireball is 8d6, but always 8d6.
>>
>>52935728
Except there only needs to be three saves in the first place. There was nothing "unbalanced" about fortitude, reflex, or will.
>>
>>52936210
I see that, but even so. In pf, magic missile is 3 at level 5, whereas at level 5 you can have a 5 missile shot, albeit one that eats a potential fireball or lightning bolt, so kinda shit. Seems like pathfinder runs away long term, but the spells in general are way more powerful.
>>
>>52933497
>Then change the saves in your game to Fort, Reflex, and Will. Easy.

No, nigger, the game can do it the correct way or get the fuck out. Enough of this "just homebrew it :^)" bullshit, it's not an answer.
>>
>>52936275
>the correct way

Fort, Reflex, and Will are shit
>>
>>52936275
>get the fuck out
Please do.
>>
>>52934001
>One think I actually like a lot about 5e is how shot on the run and spring attack are now standard affair and not restrictive on how you use the feature.

That's one of the very few good things about 5e.

Good things about 5th Edition:
>proficiency bonus
>skill list
>dex adds to damage with ranged weapons
>infinite cantrips
>some of the feats are good
>death saves
>barbarian rage gives straight damage now
>eldritch knight archetype
>undead have constitution scores now

Bad things about 5e
> ASIs are +2 each instead of +1 each, even though abilities cap at 20
> half the feats are shit or give a Str buff because they are only half a feat effectively
> proficiency bonuses are way too small
> fighter gets to level 20 and literally never gets any better at defending himself
> treasure is useless because you can't buy magic items
> healing kits are fucking stupid
>races get only bonuses no penalties because god forbid an orc wizard isn't as good as a human wizard
>pro-gay/trans crap
>hit point bloat out the ass (for monsters)
>archetypes
>have to pay to get feats
>NPC classes are gone so they just get arbitrary hit dice and shit
>proficiency is based off of CR which is entirely an estimative mechanic
>greatsword is still overpowered, shields still suck
>magic items have a gay-ass attunement mechanic for no reason
>bonuses are replaced by non-stacking advantage/disadvantage which is meant as a "DM's best friend" before half the feats and abilities give it
>wizards are too lazy to create good rules for stacking so none exist
>ability drain is gone entirely because it hurts people's feelings and math is hard
>>
>>52936275
>the correct way

the dead way.
>>
>>52936284
>Fort, Reflex, and Will are shit

Nope. It was good enough for two whole editions of the game. And there is quite literally nothing wrong with Fort/Ref/Will. In fact the only reason you like it is because of 5th edition. If 5e had used Fort/Ref/Will, but everything else was the same, you would be extolling its virtues right now.
>>
>>52936193
The problem alot of DMs complain about now with front loading is multiclassing insanely boosts the power of PCs. Also since WotC feels no games get past ~level 10 the amount of monsters above CR 10 are sparse, in my opinion.

Then again I'm not afraid to Frankenstein something from a previous edition to this one to keep players on their toes.
>>
>>52936297
Dead because Merals wanted to pander to grognards. That is all. And with Pathfinder's fanbase nearly equalling 5e's, it is hardly dead anyway.
>>
>>52936310
Not quite, 5e isn't my preferred system anyway, I just think it is serviceable.

Don't you have an anime catgirl to post in pfg?
>>
//52936291
You can tell it's trolling by the seventh, at the very worst.
>>
File: 1478725558524.jpg (38KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
1478725558524.jpg
38KB, 269x187px
>>52936275
Ok then get the fuck out since the rules state what the correct way is.
>>
File: not this shit again.jpg (58KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.jpg
58KB, 640x360px
>>52936291
Oh look, it's (you) again
>>
>52936335
Oh, it's you.
>>
DM will run an all goblin game, which class should I play?
>>
>>52936335
>nearly equaling 5e's

that's because Pathfinder is an 8 year old coat of paint over a 14 year old patch of a 17 year old game.
>>
>>52935189
I also have French (Canadian) Elves.
and Mexican Dwarves
>>
>>52936329
If I'm 100% honest with you, I hate multiclassing with a passion. In any edition. It has never been done well. Each class should have a multiclass profile that defines how it works when someone takes it as a second class rather than pressing two things together that were designed to stand alone.

In either case, I think I'm more interested in running a pf game with 5e inspired modifications, as opposed to the opposite.
>>
Anyone have Curse of Strahd PDF? Wanna have a look at the monsters.
>>
>>52936397
Check the Trove.
>>52936374
Booyahg.
>>
File: tenor.gif (1MB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
1MB, 497x280px
>>52936291
>This pasta again
>Gif related
>>
>>52936310
>Roll a wisdom save? A single digit? No! That's not complicated enough! I'll roll my Magical Effect Resistance instead, which according to my calculations... *comes back a 2 minutes later* is a 3+6*2/3-1-1+5
>>
>>52936421
All I can see are the player supplements. Unless I'm blind?
>>
>>52936379
As a member of the Project M community, I take great offense to such a comment.
>>
>>52936193
The only class that gets weird at latter levels is Wizard, and mostly only from being allowed to inscribe any spell on their books (if they can find it).

Most classes only get more uses out of their abilities, or said abilities become slightly stronger.
>>
>>52936434
Ah, it's under Return To Ravenloft. I am blind.
>>
>>52936434
You are.
Use the menu to the left and search.
>>
File: 7Yl5Bkn.jpg (228KB, 647x628px) Image search: [Google]
7Yl5Bkn.jpg
228KB, 647x628px
>>52936436
...Huh, the release dates do all just about line up don't they. Give or take a few years off.

If SSB64 is 3e, SSBM is 3.5e, Brawl si 4e, Pathfinder is Project M... and Sm4sh is 5e.

It's almost like a conspiracy or something.
>>
How do you handle 3 way battle?
>>
File: 1424983110257.jpg (199KB, 554x603px) Image search: [Google]
1424983110257.jpg
199KB, 554x603px
>your party has to rescue a hostage girl from a wizard's tower
>you finally confront him and he confesses he was just bored
>he could instantly destroy your party at any time but instead he challenges you to a game of cards, winner keeps the girl
>He goes into his trunk and pulls out an obviously enchanted board and magical cards
>DM launches Hearthstone
>you have to beat him in a game

How do you react?
>>
>>52934208
Vampire

>Hunter in the Night
>+1 Dex, Wis, or Cha
>Gain Superior Darkvision, darkvision range out to 120 feet.
>In addition, gain advantage on Stealth, Intimidation, and Survival when in Darkness.

>Blackened Resilience
>+1 Str or Con
>When you would drain 3 hit die worth of HP through Blood Thirst, gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage until the end of your next long rest.
>In addition your are immune to the environmental effects of extreme cold or heat.

>Eldrazi Created
>+1 Cha or Int
>Gain advantage on Intelligence(Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, and Religion) checks to recall information on Aberrations as well as gain advantage on Charisma checks to interact with them.
>Cannot be taken with Free to the Last

>Free to the Last
>+1 Cha or Int
>Gain advantage on Intelligence checks to recall information about humanoids and undead.
>In addition gain advantage on Charisma checks to interact with Humanoid(Vampire) and undead.
>Cannot be taken with Eldrazi created

>Hypnotic Gaze
>+1 Cha
>Once per short rest you may use Enthrall. No components are needed but you must be able to see your target's eyes or they see yours.
>Once per long rest you may use Compulsion. No components are needed but you must be able to see your target's eyes or they see yours. As apart of the action of casting, if the target moves to you within 5 feet you may also use blood thirst on them.
>>
>>52936509
I pull him and berate him.
We all helped him out of his addiction to hearthstone, and will do again.
>>
>>52936509
that sounds amazing, would gladly play
>>
>>52936492
What are the circumstances of the battle?
>>
File: 1474314702530.jpg (319KB, 1097x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1474314702530.jpg
319KB, 1097x1920px
There was website which generated some pages fit (visually/aesthetically) with your input (for character pages and such), simulating a scroll background but I can't seem to remember what it was.
Anyone familiar with it?
>>
File: 1493310278435.jpg (100KB, 539x550px) Image search: [Google]
1493310278435.jpg
100KB, 539x550px
>>52936485
>We have a foundation for something people like
>We can improve that and make people love it
>Well, we should try something new and fresh.
>Oh yeah? Well we'll give the people what they really want!
>Okay so... we think we should just take a bit of everything and try to please everyone

What the fuck? How?
>>
>>52936509
lose horribly, because even though i have a killer deck, some fucking 12 yo kid rapes me by round 5.
>>
What do you guys think of this?

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/857663700043407360
>>
>>52936509
Accept since I have detect thoughts. Easy peasey.
>>
>>52936549
Homebrewery.
>>
>>52936567
I don't understand his question
>>
>>52935594
I never said you did bro, I just made a general comment because I was baffled by some people praising the 3e and 3PF systems for their complexity when they're actually quite shit in play.
>>
>>52936569

That's it!
My campaign has just flourished from the ashes of blandness thanks to you!
>>
>>52936567
I genuinely don't know what he means by this.
I'd hate to play druid if I only got ONE of those.

Unless they were each a subclass dedicated to it.
But then again, you could just take spell casting and get the other two eventually.
>animal friendship
>awaken beast
Cool animal companion.

>shapechange
cool shapeshifting
>>
>>52936547
2 opposing faction and and the pc party. Out of the abyss Caimpaign. Demons, drows and drunkards.
>>
>>52936335
Okay, because people have informed you you have been spelling the name wrong, I'm going to have to come to the conclusion that you are a literal retard.
>>
>>52934760
http://www.anydice.com/program/b7bd set it to at least and graph to visualize it.
>>
File: ffc.png (234KB, 840x708px) Image search: [Google]
ffc.png
234KB, 840x708px
>>52936589
Understandable was still in explain to people what i meant mode since everyone before seemed to need clarification.
>>
Would half-elf or aasimar from Volo's be better suited for a support bard? You'd get slightly better AC and a couple extra skills with half-elf, but aasimar has a bunch of nice stuff. Help me decide /5eg/
>>
>>52935912
>average lv7 bearbarian can survive being crushed in the jaws of a godlike creature or a moon-sized monster
noice
>>
>>52932778
source on image?
>>
>>52934874
2@4d20 if you really want to add it.
>>
>>52936432
Nice strawman.
>>
>>52936567
Honestly I don't understand why druid isn't a subclass of wizard.
>>
>>52936362
>Ok then get the fuck out since the rules state what the correct way is.

Not until the entire dev team is fired for ruining D&D.
>>
>>52936559
Don't forget the most recent game is/was getting patches and DLC while 5e got UA and some splat.
>>
>>52936379
>that's because Pathfinder is an 8 year old coat of paint over a 14 year old patch of a 17 year old game.

Yeah, and it's still going strong. Almost as strong as Meral's attempt at game design.
>>
>>52936698
I think it would be a pain to try that now. Druids have their own full caster spell progression and from what I see at least the most exclusive spells.
>>
>>52936723
>Almost as strong

It's not like Paizo is any fucking better. Actually their staff is probably worse.
>>
>>52935663
Feeblemind them, then Awaken them?
>>
>>52936723
And 5e rivaled and in some ways has surpassed it... In just 3 years.
>>
File: y tho.jpg (912KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
y tho.jpg
912KB, 1813x2111px
>>52936698
Because that'd be a terrible idea?
>>
>>52936648
How about picking the on you can make a decent backstory for and which sounds more fun
>>
>>52936786
If we go by Roll20 statistics (looks like it), it measures games played and never deleted, so PF has some padding it it's bra.
>>
>>52936805
It always did. Pathfinder was the first TTRPG I tried to get into. Hell I almost got suckered into it. By the time I had made headway into learning the system on my own with no help suddenly 5e was out and I was hearing about it.

5e saved me. Of course, I still miss Magus.
>>
File: 1492808221143.jpg (20KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
1492808221143.jpg
20KB, 300x320px
>>52936705
Seems to be doing just fine
>>
>>52936254
>Except there only needs to be three saves in the first place.

this is why exactly? why not one, why not two or four?
it's as much as an arbitrary decision as having 3 strong saves and 3 weak saves. you could just as easily have one mental save and one physical save...
>>
>>52936833
That's always the problem. They can't stand that something succeeded - why couldn't it just stay underground and be forced to depend on them while not a single normie even knows about it?
>>
>>52936856
Because that's not what makes a company profitable, by bringing in normies they've secured more cash flow.
>>
File: smug whatever the fuck.png (112KB, 232x262px) Image search: [Google]
smug whatever the fuck.png
112KB, 232x262px
>responding to virtposts
You don't have to let this happen, /5eg/. You can be better.

But you won't.
>>
>>52936874
I think you missed some sarcasm.
>>
>>52936648
>Would half-elf or aasimar from Volo's be better suited for a support bard?

Neither. Play a human for fuck's sake. What is a literal angel-spawn doing on the Material Plane anyway?

>>52936617
Do you think I care how I spell some fat-ass jew's name? When he learns how to design a game, I'll learn how to spell his name.
>>
>>52936874
>Because that's not what makes a company profitable, by bringing in normies they've secured more cash flow.

That's the problem: trying to make D&D profitable. It's also the issue with /tg/ autistics who think the hobby needs fresh blood constantly or else it will die out, despite D&D surviving for over 40 years while barely turning a profit.
>>
>>52936847
Because Strength and Con overlap, as do Intelligence Wisdom and Charisma.

One save for toughing it out, one save for dodging/ducking, one save for mental resistance. That's all you need.

Merals just wanted to pander to grognards. That's why he made the saves work the way they do.
>>
>>52936648
Aasimar mechanically.
But write a backstory and then pick.
>>
What's with this general and huge autistic fucks?
>>
>>52936935
In this day and age if you're not profitable then why even exist? It's not something I may agree with but it's the way companies operate now.
>>
>>52936910
Do you think he cares how some fat ass autist misspells his name? When you learn to design a game he'll learn to care.
>>
>>52936946
Why the fuck the save to stop a shieldbash and the save to resist blue guts be the same?
>>52936965
Merals guy + boredom.
>>
>>52936965
They're mad something new is popular and since it's popular they feel obligated to change for reasons. Problem is they don't handle change well.
>>
What kind of things should my players find lying around a hags den?

They're kind of retarded so I don't want to fuck them up too bad. But...
>>
>>52936971
>In this day and age if you're not profitable then why even exist?

Having children isn't profitable. Why do they exist? Are you making money off of D&D? No? Then why it play it? Do you see how fucking stupid that statement & mindset is, now?
>>
>>52936999
>What kind of things should my players find lying around a hags den?
Her husbando
>>
>>52936965
Dies down soonish. It's a couple of autists all in similar timezones.
>>
>>52937002
Are you a living product?
If you are, children may be profitable.

>>52936999
Roll on the trinket table and ramp it up.
>A full mummified goblin
>>
Hey /5eg/ I want to run an adventure for some of my friends but I'm not really feeling any of the pre-made official ones. What do I do? I'm worried about making my own as well.
>>
>>52936999

A stick with a live toad tied to it. Several jars with damp rags of different colors in them. A laundry basket full of old childrens' clothes and child bones.
>>
>>52936436
melee is not that old and PM is dogshit and everyone knows it. literally the game for people that want to make 'stylish' combos but can't learn them on a real game. even smash 4 is better than pm because it's not dying to suck melee's dick only to get scared about broken shit and changing the game a million times in the process.

:^)
>>
File: nicotero_ride_never_ends.png (110KB, 229x199px) Image search: [Google]
nicotero_ride_never_ends.png
110KB, 229x199px
>>52936999
>They're kind of retarded so I don't want to fuck them up too bad. But...

Why would their intelligence level change what a hag has in their lair? Do you just constantly change things to make it easier for them? That's a great way for them to learn to be less stupid, by you turning the game into a padded cell for them and feeding them easy rewards so they feel good about themselves.

Hell, I got an idea. You could have your characters walk in front of caravans to clear out anything actually dangerous from attacking them. You wouldn't want an actually challenging encounter to befall your stupid, stupid party, so why would they run into anything like that? the caravan will not only have the protection of the PCs, it will have the protection of their magical force that removes anything dangerous within a good mile or so radius. Challenging encounters and booby traps would just melt into nothingness. Your characters have the potential to save dozens of lives with this incredible power.
>>
File: 1491511374865.jpg (51KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491511374865.jpg
51KB, 600x604px
>>52937002
>Ignored the rest of the post

Try rereading it
>>
>>52937032
Any particular problem you have with the official ones? They are very different.
Even if you don't want them, try plucking the minidungeons and studying them, taking them wholesale.
>>
>>52937032
Read books, watch movies and adapt them into a semi coherent plot.
>>
>>52937060
Well the big problem is that i've already played them all (or a significant portion of them all) except for Out of the Abyss.

>>52937063
See i've thought of doing that but i'm nervous i'll fuck it up
>>
>>52937046
Melee is 16 years old, first of all. Second of all, your rambling is too uneducated and vitriolic to give any meaningful response to.
>>
>>52937114
JUST DO IT!

but seriously just give it a shot and tell the people you play with so they understand you're trying.
>>
>>52936946
I like the concept of each ability score having a corresponding save in general. I agree that Int, Wis, and Cha saves overlap, but that's mostly due to WotC being inconsistent/lazy in their design and making the vast majority of effects that would've included Will saves in 3e use Wis saves, and assigning Int and Cha saves to the rest more or less arbitrarily.
>>
>>52937051
I said that just because I knew someone would go full autism.

But actually, yes. I play d&d to have fun with my friends, not to punish them because they don't think through every single action they take. It's just one way to play the game, my dude.

Anyway, >>52937031
>Roll on the trinket table and ramp it up.
I like this idea.

They're also night hags, if that gives anyone any extra inspiration.
>>
>>52937114
We can help!
Come ask when you have doubts.
Or whenever, we are practically Gith here.
>>
>>52936946
>strength+dex+con
>any combination of physical activity
>intelligence+wisdom+charisma
>any combination of mental activity

just because they used it before, or just because you like it, doesn't make it less than arbitrary.

dexterity is about precision, not about performance, you can try to dodge an attack a fail because your legs are not strong enough to move you far enough. it's either the same fucking shit or neither overlap.

same as with skill checks, compare athletics and acrobatics, which one is more likely to avoid a dragon's breath attack? if you have to make a run for cover or a fucking backflip in full armor, flimsy fucking legs are not going to get you anywhere, landing on your feet might be dexterous, but staying standing after landing so much heigh is obviously about constitution.
>>
>>52936532
Kor

>Dizzying Heights
>+1 Con or Wis
>You are immune to the ill effects of extreme heights including environmental cold and lessened oxygen.
>You also have advantage on survival checks when navigating mountainous terrain.

>The Hook and Throw
>You are proficient with all weapons with Thrown property.
>In addition, when throwing weapons, you do not have disadvantage when throwing to long ranges.

>Whitened Souls
>+1 Con
>You gain resistance to Radiant damage.
>Whenever you use your brave racial trait you may give either roll to any ally within 30 feet
>In addition, gain proficiency in Persuasion. If you are already proficient in persuasion, gain expertise.
>>
>>52937141
Here's my biggest problem with it then, how exactly do you adapt a story that generally focuses on one person as is the case with most movies, books, videogames etc? How do you shape that story into a group story?
>>
>>52936275
Wouldn't the "correct way be" -

Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
Rod, Staff, or Wand
Petrification or Polymorph
Breath Weapon
Spell

Being older doesn't make more valid, and what exactly you sperg is the functional difference between a dexterity save and a reflex save? I'll tell you - nothing, nothing at all. It's a change terminology, that's all, nothing worthy of a tantrum.
>>
>>52937284
Depends.
Most of the time, it's just about scale.
Prophesies change, etc.

Specific examples would be better.
>>
>>52937284
You use elements of the story or adapt it to be a grander scale. Instead of one person have plot armor it was a group of people who did it, instead of David and the Goliath it was actually more than one person but they changed the story to sound more heroic.

Think of it in those terms, just because say Mass Effect has Shepard as the hero doesn't mean the others technically just sat around. Keep the spot light moving, make certain quests that focus more on one but are challenging enough that they rely on the party.

Another way is make it a long quest of several heros coming together to do x. It's all about everyone having fun and getting time to shine here and there.
>>
>>52936142
Often times the only indication that something's beyond your capabilities is when it has already fucked your shit up in one turn. It's also probably as fast or faster than you, so good luck retreating now!

Granted, I experience that problem a lot more in the 3.PF system, since numbers fly off the rails pretty much instantly (dude has +16 to hit, two claw attacks for a bunch of damage, a bite attack with a DC21 poison that deals CON damage, and a petrifying gaze... and you're level 6). Bonus points if there's little to no lead up, you just open a door and roll for initiative.
>>
Is there more to the Aggressive feature of Orcs than "use dash as a bonus action but only towards an enemy"? I'm trying to figure out what makes it "aggressive" proper.
>>
>>52937525
>charging towards enemies
>not aggressive
>>
>>52937284
Hell if you want the easier route make in more episodic in nature. The players work for x mercenary company and are sent out of jobs. Each job involves them getting supplies, getting what info they can if it isn't already provided, traveling there then doing whatever the job is. They come back get payed and then you time lapse or let them choose another set of jobs. No huge plot needed, just good old adventuring, then later on once you've got your dick wet a couple times you can start sending them out on more important jobs that link together.
>>
>>52937525
getting to shit fucking fast to smack their faces is rather aggressive.
>>
>>52936097
>tfw my level 9 character only has 15 and I plan to be melee
>>
File: 1466224726229.jpg (155KB, 638x825px) Image search: [Google]
1466224726229.jpg
155KB, 638x825px
Does anyone else feel like the spell list in 5e and DND in general are really poorly designed? Like, it's just a big splat of "this is cool" without really progression in mind, and a lot of really big power spikes. Like, have there really been significant changes to the spell list besides adjusting what the spells do?
>>
I am in a situation where I need to design a half-druegar half-drow architect NPC. What kind of racials should this guy have?

It's easy enough to assign Sunlight Sensitivity and various Half-Elf variant features, though the druegar part is a little tough for me, since 5e doesn't have half-dwarves.
>>
>>52937789
It's DnDs big ol' sacred cow. Even more so than the concept of classes.
>>
File: fc7.gif (4MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fc7.gif
4MB, 480x360px
>>52937795
>I am in a situation where I need to design a half-druegar half-drow architect NPC.

Wat
>>
>>52937012
The corpses of dead children
>>
>>52937152
Full mummified goblin that will act as a servent
>>
>>52936910
What makes you think he cares what a fat autistic retard like yourself thinks about him?
>>
>>52937854
A duegar and a drow hooked up whats so odd about that
>>
>>52937992
>>52937992
>>52937992
NEW THREAD
>>
>>52937795
is this thing even biologically possible?
>>
>>52937795
Pick one
>Dwarven Toughness. Your hit point maximum increases by 1 and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
>Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison and you have resistance against poison damage.

And they should probably get:
>Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in the darkness, only shades of gray.
>>
>>52937982
My main question is why?
>>
>>52937209
Vedalken

>Irrelevant Emotionality
>+1 Int or Wis
>Gain advantage on saving throws against being charmed

>Tinkerer
>+1 Int
>Learning Mending without the need for material components

>Perfectionist
>+1 to Any Ability Score
>Gain proficiency to any two skills. If you are already proficient then gain expertise instead.

>Six Fingered
>+1 Dex
>Gain proficiency with expertise weapons. For any weapon you are already proficient in, gain +1 to damage rolls with it.
God kaladeshi vedalken are boring as shit. Looking em up to try and figure out anything interesting about them was a fucking pain, especially seeing the much more interesting Mirrodin Vedalken. I love me some mad scientists and they would make great replacements for playable mindflayers.
>>
>>52936509
Push the wizard prone and grapple him. The ranger then casts silence. Then we rape the wizard
>>
>>52938104
Good idea. Forgot about darkvision. Thanks anon.
>>
>>52938471
Maybe go superior dark vision. Both Drow and Duergar have it.
>>
>>52937187
You're so stupid. By your logic Strength should affect your ranged attack with bows because a stronger person can hold a bowstring more steadily.
>>
>>52937148
No one cares what you like. And you proved my point more, as most things still use Con, Dex, and Wisdom saves. Why not just have Fort Ref Will like you used to? What does it add to have Int Str and Cha saves?
>>
>>52939765
Brains, Brawn, and Personality. Things that none of us have.
>>
>>52933636
>paladin levels
>not just Lay on Hands and bonus radiant damage
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.