[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5th Edition D&D General Discussion >Download Unearth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 48

5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52932778
>>
File: jEcxTcM.gif (1MB, 406x449px) Image search: [Google]
jEcxTcM.gif
1MB, 406x449px
Can I create a bard/wizard and become a Necrodancer or is it too dependent on multiple stats?
>>
I'm thinking of making a melee Drow Dragon Sorcerer. Most likely Red for GFB spam.

Aside from Shield and Haste are there any spells that I can't give up?
>>
>>52937992
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)
What did he mean by this?
>>
Can this be Mystic edition?
What are your favorite disciplines and how do you like your mystics, blastery mind fuckery or psychometabolic psiblades?
>>
>>52938046
>Necrodancer
Go on and do it. A dumbfuck like you deserves a broken character.
>>
>>52938056
eh i fucked up the copy paste, shit happens
>>
>>52938046
just be a pure bard and pick necromancery spells.
>>
>>52938046
That would be Int and Cha focused. You could do it.

But at the same time you don't need to. Bards get magical secrets and raise dead. Just go Lore Bard, grab Animate Dead and be good.
>>
>>52938070
>dumbfuck
There is no need to be upset friendo.
>>
>>52937525
I a big green meanie was runnin full spring at me with a great axe I'd say thats probably overly aggressive

>>52938104
No it would get superior dark vision
>>
What do you give to players if they are starting off at a higher level?
>>
>>52938146
I usually have mine roll (gold)x10 per level.
>>
How much gold should I let players start with in a grittier game? I was thinking of 80 so they have enough to start with some armour, a weapon and a few basics but that seems a bit low.
>>
>>52938146
Enough gold to outfit themselves and maybe a roll or two on the magic table.
>>
File: IMG_1403.jpg (358KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1403.jpg
358KB, 1200x848px
I need ideas for fighters. What are some character concepts you've played or want to play that fit with the class?
>>
>>52938129
>superior dark vision from duergar, or
>Normal dark vision from elf

Meh, either one. Why does this NPC, who is an architect, need a distinct parentage, anyhow?

Just say, "Look! It's a funny looking duergar."

Why not have the architect be an even odder race? Like an earth genasi, slaad, or a bunch of awakened dogs in a trench coat.
>>
>>52938227
>>superior dark vision from duergar, or
>>Normal dark vision from elf

If he's half-drow half-duergar then both his parents have superior Darkvision. Why wouldn't he?
>>
https://pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
Complete expanded 5e racial feats here now.
Ready for proofreading and bitching about how your favorite subrace didn't get anything because I'm too lazy to make shit for all the different fucking goblins.
>>
>>52938226
Lizard Chef.

Lizardfolk Battlemaster with Gourmand (from the UA Feats).

You get to kill monsters, make crafts out of them, and feed the party. Full Dungeon Meshi style.
>>
>>52938226
A older character who used to be a moderately successful Paladin. Turns out that without all the magic he's back to a regular joe and so he's trying to become as strong, fast and tough as he used to be.
>>
>>52938100
>Lorebard
>Not Diresinger homebrew.
>>
>>52938226
Ex town guard, since he was a kid always wanted to travel and adventure just like in the books he read. Instead ended up following in his dad's footsteps and joined the guard living a life he hated. One day decides enough is enough and packs up supplies, resigns from the guard and sets off to do what he's always wanted.

Small town farm boy who was forced into adventuring due to reasons. His dad was a former soldier so he learned from him and decided to keep doing it once he left.

Dwarf soldier framed for a crime he didn't commit, fled to the surface to try and live his life in peace. Longs for home but has no way of returning unless he wants to be executed.

Former gladiator who decided instead of growing old he wanted to die in combat. He had figured it would happen in the ring but no one could best him, he now seeks an opponent worthy of claiming his life.
>>
>>52938306
No need to resort to awful homebrews when the option is already available.
>>
>>52938250
Assuming the genes pass through alright. Might get a worse version due to the shuffle.

What is the setting? Aren't dwarves incompatible with other races, typically?

>Assuming the architect's gender
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
What's your take on players that use dice rolls for everything?

Such as using dice to decide whether they will intervene in a situation or not, rolling to see if they'll answer yes or no, to lie or tell the truth, to steal or to pay?
>>
File: two-face-new-header.jpg (303KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
two-face-new-header.jpg
303KB, 1800x900px
>>52938431
Sounds like a wild magic sorcerer I DM'd for.
>>
>>52938431
Sounds chaotic neutral
>>
>>52938226
Noble who is 12th in line for the throne, instead of sitting around doing nothing like his brothers and sisters decides to help his family's kingdom by adventuring, trained by an old soldier.

Noble whose house has fallen on hard times, can be inheritor or farther down. Goes out to bring fame and honour back to his family name to better their position.

Former street thug who decided a life of crime wasn't his best option. Went out adventuring to make something of himself.
>>
>>52938466
What the fuck are all those lines all over his (normal) face? Is he turning into werewolf or something?

Is that supposed to be shading? Jesus.
>>
For cantrips like fire bolt, do you add your int modifier or no? Is it only when it specifically states so?
>>
>>52938513
He was carefully half dipped into a vat of elemental edge
>>
File: IMG_1020.jpg (64KB, 606x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1020.jpg
64KB, 606x543px
>>52938395
Are you fucking retarded its a racial trait of both of them so to draw up a punnet square (assuming its a simple genetic thing and assuming theyre both the dominate trait)
>>
>>52938585
Only when it says so, like in the improved cantrip feature
>>
>>52938604
Oh right you meant the normal half. Make it less carefully, then.
>>
>>52938513
I think they were going for hatching (an art technique that involves depicting shade using parallel lines) but failed spectacularly.
>>
>>52938227
Original anon who asked the question here, long story short, an OotA game got interesting when the players decided to try and recruit as many NPCs as possible. Two of those members were a drow guard and a druegar mason, which, over the course of many sessions and many strange dice rolls, got into a lasting relationship despite the traditional racial tension between drow and druegar.

Subsequently, after the OotA module, the party got involved in some shaky time shenanigans and has ended up a century in the future. They want to check everything out, including what happened to their old NPC friends. Hence, that is a rough explanation of how I got into this situation.

>>52938250
Forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder anon.

>>52938395
Genes are an interesting subject on their own, though you are correct dwarves are not terribly compatible with most other races. I had a chart I saved from /5eg/ that had details for this kind of stuff, though I can't find it. Regardless, you can bet there was a spell involved.
>>
I have a player who wants to use Wish to essentially never age so he can play in legacy. He knows I'll make him take the 33% chance to lose the spell if he goes for full immortal should I make him roll anyway, it seems fairly benign
>>
File: immortal wizards.jpg (781KB, 925x2272px) Image search: [Google]
immortal wizards.jpg
781KB, 925x2272px
>>52938815
No need for something like that. If he's got wish, just show him this.
>>
>>52938815
I'd make him roll
>>
I'm making a melee meme Arcana Cleric for my next game. Would playing him as an anti-mage be a good idea?

I was going to make him come from a magocracy as a specially trained soldier for a noble's personal army. After finding out some secret about his captain he ran away and settled on adventuring to make some money and put his skills to use.

Can't really think of something so big it would make him run away from the people who trained him since he was a kid though.
>>
Repeating an unanswered question from one of the previous threads. Is the DM's guild Mega trove still up somewhere? I'm searching for 'Limitless Adventures' stuff pdfs to be precise.
>>
File: 1444094660975.jpg (133KB, 728x636px) Image search: [Google]
1444094660975.jpg
133KB, 728x636px
so I accidentally turned one of my characters into ichigo or gave them an inner hollow.

>magical aberration curses/creates a revenant/reverse doppelganger of barbarian
>barbarian is also using berserker's axe
>barbarian firbolg basically werebears~ during his rage, his doppelganger is a polar bear since he is a grizzly
>kills the doppelganger with his berserker axe, and realizes that the aberration just realized his inner demons/evil since he has been acting murderhobo and he is supposed to be NG
>he kind of becomes his evil doppelganger when the axe makes him berserk
>aggregate my notes
>FUCK I made an inner hollow
>>
File: Shadow Labrys.gif (2MB, 1250x798px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow Labrys.gif
2MB, 1250x798px
So what's the general consensus of hexblade pact warlocks and their general invocations around them? Any decent for making a melee warlock?
>>
>>52938972
>tfw you accidentally go full anime
never go full anime.
>>
>>52938875
Got into a fight with his mentor, panicked thinking he'd be executed and fled.
>>
>>52938226
charisma overlord, paladin 2/warlock 2/sorcerer 3/bard X

you are a conflicted soul haunted by megalomania, you've been trying to right wrongs but ended up fucking everything else accidentally. you are a god a combat and social interactions but you don't notice and won't ever realize your true potential. in the end you think you are a regular joe but deep down you know you are a sociopath.
>>
>>52939044

campaign is pretty grounded. the craziest thing that has happened is the samurai being enlarged and wrestling a giant crab.

well, he's not talking to in his head, his doppelganger isn't edgy chaos evil and talks mad shit, as much as just a lust for violence and murder, reason he was exiled from his village for being a barbarian firbolg anyway. Basically his spirit guide, a wolf/orc spirit is going to help him purify his spirit and break him out of the berserker axe curse.
>>
>>52938875
If your set on that backstory, then perhaps you can do something with the Noble himself. Maybe the noble is apart of a sect planning some grand evil scheme, and merely telling the authorities about it will get you nowhere due to the noble's good reputation and your character's apparent lack of hard evidence.

>>52938972
This sounds incredible, but terrifying at the same time.

>>52939033
I playtested it at level 3, and I discovered that I could deal ~60 damage by using a 2nd level spell slot for Not!smite on a crit. Also, taking the one that gives you the greatsword that lets you switch your curse after kills is great for battles with lots of mooks, as you can recover a lot of HP from them. It isn't all that MAD either if you use a 1-handed weapon and pump CON and CHA, though I like adding STR into the mix so I can use 2-handed weapons.

It is very short rest dependent though if you want to be super effective.
>>
>>52938815
If he goes for never aging, then who gives a fuck, you can still kill him outside of natural causes. Being ageless doesn't mean safe.

Now if he goes for full ageless and inability to be killed, THEN you fuck his wish up.
>>
>>52939097
Did the wrestling result in the party being able to attack the crab's weak point and/or massive damage?
>>
>>52939033
Hexblade, Pact of the don't take blade you stupid fuckface, use a one-handed weapon and use greenflame blade. Just blast and burn. Everything else is pretty much a trap.

The major issue is that it's not really a terrible lot better than anything else. A regular old tome warlock of any pact can just grab shelleleigh and be just as good while also still being a tome warlock and having any patron they fucking want.

The new invocations look cool but they're pretty much all STR based except the bow one, which, sure, that looks okay I guess, but the others are mostly traps because YOU'RE IN LIGHT ARMOR YOU STUPID FUCK.

The hexblade one with the greatsword, however, might be okay because you get a goddamn smite that rebounds all your spells on a short rest, so you essentially become a super-squishy glass paladin with no healing or survival skills and a shitload of blasting which is now redundant because you're just going to vomit d8s of warlock smite on shit anyways.
>>
>>52938360
>awful
What's awful about it?
>>
>>52938614
>give_her_the.jpg
>>
>>52939033
Hexblade in a vacuum is good. It fixes Bladelocks with better AC, weapons from level 1 and less MAD.

It can't be published as is for a few reasons. One of it's main invocations is way too powerful with smites and stops you using your class features, it make EBlocks even more powerful and it doesn't multiclass well.

I'd make it a pact that forces you to take Blade, make the smite an actual feature of the pact and scale it down to Paladin level and remove the Charisma thing. There's already too many characters who can ignore needing Strength for melee when Strength should be the best at it.
>>
File: 1280px-Liger_couple.jpg (442KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Liger_couple.jpg
442KB, 1280x960px
>>52938614
Could have different mechanisms for the vision that get messed up during that shuffle. These are Drow and Duergar mixing, nothing needs to be simple in this.

Did you know that a Liger, cross between a female tiger and a male lion, is bigger than either of them?

The particular mechanisms don't need to be in a Dominant-Recessive allele structure. Could be hormonal, and that gets messed up when mixing the maturation rates and hormones of Drow and Duergar.

>>52938711
Sounds like a good enough reason.
>>
>>52939125
>If your set on that backstory, then perhaps you can do something with the Noble himself. Maybe the noble is apart of a sect planning some grand evil scheme, and merely telling the authorities about it will get you nowhere due to the noble's good reputation and your character's apparent lack of hard evidence.

That was an idea. I'm not set on the backstory and open to suggestions, that was just the first thing I thought of.
>>
>>52938431
sometimes you know what you as a player want to do, but doubt your character knows so as well. i unironically roll for common sense when i need my character to do something he doesn't really have any reason to do, in-character and all that crap, but for the sake of party coherence and plot progression it would be better if he intervened.

i tell my dm to set a DC and roll against it with no mods, if my character 'fails' the common sense check he has to do right-for-the-sake-of-the-narrative action, if he 'succeeds' i decide in-character the action.

it's autistic but my group doesn't really seem to care much about it. almost all my characters are special fucks but they always carry their sad asses out of pickles, regardless of common sense.
>>
>>52938815
He can already do it through several degrees as through >>52938829 so just let em.
>>
>>52939033
it's still MAD as fuck, specially if you want the smite invocations, but it overall works better than any other attempt at a melee competent warlock without needing to multiclass.
>>
File: Raga.jpg (55KB, 492x442px) Image search: [Google]
Raga.jpg
55KB, 492x442px
>>52939266
>>52939194
>>52939174
>>52939125
Gotcha, so best to focus on blasting and whatnot then.
>>
>>52939292
At least you're trying.

I had a douchenozzle who wanted to play a bladelock because the party needed some frontlining. And he planned to do this with a glaive as his pact weapon.

But when time came to spread out his ability scores... he dump-statted both Strength and Dexterity.
>>
Does anyone have any good advice for writing a campaign guide? Just to give the players some basic setting knowledge and let them know the variant rules I'm using.
>>
>>52939416
Fucking brilliant.

What are the best homebrew classes/archetypes/etc you guys have seen for 5e?
>>
Question about Wizards and their spell books.

Can a Wizard that knows a spell from different source transcribe the spell into their spellbook so that they can cast it as a Wizard?

Example:

A fire genasi learns produce flame and burning hands, but can only cast them as first level spells, and the Spell DC is Constitution based. Can a Fire Genasi wizard take the time and money to put burning hands in their spell book, and cast it as a wizard using spell slots?
>>
>>52939483
Without finding another source (tutor/scroll/leveling) for the spell, I mean.
>>
>>52939427
Give a list of your Ariana rules. Give page numbers at least, preferably include the actual rules to save on book searching.

Include 1 page write-ups of custom races

Do half page to full page write-ups of factions/nations/religions.

Don't write everything in heavy paragraph form. Keep everything as much to lists as possible.
>>
>>52939445
best is a word i wouldn't use in the same sentence with homebrew, but i did go through some draconic subclasses for a character concept i never got around playing.

the middle finger of vecna has some stuff that isn't completely broken, i'd stay away from dandwiki and maybe look for stuff in giantitp or enworld to see the feedback/comments.

ultimately a homebrew is good if it works for your table, and if everyone agrees about its strengths and shortcomings.
>>
>>52939483
Raw, no, but I'd allow it.
>>
>>52939483
i remember reading somewhere that you could always fuel your spells gotten through other sources with spellslots but i didn't look out for the sources.
>>
File: ariana-grande-scream-queens.jpg (159KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
ariana-grande-scream-queens.jpg
159KB, 670x377px
>>52939501
Ariana rules?

Unearthed Arcana rules?
>>
>>52939529
>>52939483
You unfortunately can't.

Personally I give Sorcerers and Wizards the ability to. Sorcerers have them always as spells known and Wizards can pay the money to scribe them in.
>>
>>52939506
Homebrew comes in varying qualities.

I want to increase the variety of options available to the PCs in my next campaign, but I would rather do so with the best balanced Homebrew around, rather than DnDwiki tier shit.

Hence looking for suggestions on Homebrewed player content that you guys liked.
>>
>>52939531
Variant rules.

Fucking phone.
>>
File: Quick and Dirty Crafting.pdf (165KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Quick and Dirty Crafting.pdf
165KB, 1x1px
>>52939583
I like this to get some real use out of tool proficiency.

Comes with scavenging rules.
>>
>>52939445
The Revised Wot4E Monk is actually pretty fun to watch in action while remaining fairly tame.

Personally, letting players get new spells is pretty cool too. I like to use "The (Not Really) Complete Tome of Spells: Ultimate Edition" because they are all spells from older editions translated for use in 5e, though I don't let them just choose from it. I usually give them spells from it in spell scrolls or tomes, and from there they can harvest the spell for their use. I do advise tweaking the spells you think are busted though. Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qx4NeOkTzTZzhIQW1BdF9NM2c/view
>>
What would yall think about magic items gaining additional abilities once you meet certain requirements? Like
Covetous: boost or x per day ability once you have wealth (excluding the item) equal to 200 X your level
Identity: if the wielder matches the alignment of the item, they get the ability
Leveler: if the character is the appropriate tier or higher they get the ability.
So
Tenzo, Godo's maul
+1 maul, becomes +3 maul when wielded by a chaotic character. When wielded by a character lvl 15 or higher (legendary), if it reduces a target to 0 hitpoints, you can transfer the remaining damage to another target within 5 feet of you without rolling to hit.
>>
HELP!!!!
My retard group is trying to branch out, how do I stop them from playing non-5e?
Literally all other games are mathy retarded shit or stupid fluffy crap.
>>
>>52939727
Tell them to stop being retarded, I guess
>>
>>52939727
Find another group or suck it up and learn a new game.
>>
>>52939681
Items that grow with a player often feel special to the player. It lets them feel as if they are developing it, especially if you don't tell them about how the weapon improves over time.

Having items develop additional properties based on events and play styles is also fun, since it makes the weapon feel personalized as well. Of course, adding your own flair and surprises to them is good too.

>>52939727
Introduce variant rules into 5e. Find out what attracts them to the other systems, and emulate it with homebrew and houserules. 5e is a flexible game, so it should be able to handle this.
>>
>>52939727
Suck it up. There's lots of great games out there, and you'll never find them if you're too scared to even look at new games.
>>
>>52939659
>>52939620
Nice!

>>52939659
That spellbook is a great find. I may well print it out and stick it on my shelf with my 5e books.

Where do you find the wot4e monk revision you're talking about?
>>
File: 1492996145822.png (175KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492996145822.png
175KB, 1000x1000px
I want to fiddle around with the new Dragonborn unarmored feats, but I want to play as a martial class.

Should I go for Monk or Barbarian?
>>
A few days ago someone asked about making a sort of "Eldritch Touch" cantrip for his Warlock player.

I've been contemplating that idea (magical punches earned via a bargain) and have stumbled upon an idea that might be interesting.

I'm still working out the balancing issues for it, but I'm thinking that this new archetype (for the Monk) where you make a connection to something in the Far Realm, and in return for letting it "see" and "experience" what the Monk player sees, they get benefits in return. Here's what I've come up with so far.

At third level, they can spend a Ki point as a bonus action and for the next minute, so long as they maintain concentration, whenever they punch someone they deal an extra d4 Force damage. The damage die increases to am extra d6 Force damage at 11th level.

At 6th level they get to spend 2 Ki as a reaction to negate an attack upon them if it would hit, as they blink to the Far Realm and re-appear where they stand, and can do it a number of times equal to their WIS modifier before a long rest.

At 11th level they can spend 3 Ki to gain Truesight 30 ft. for a number of minutes equal to Monk level x WIS modifier.

At 17th level they can cast Plane Shift as a ritual without needing material components once per long rest. In addition, as an Action they can turn into an Avatar of the Far Realm, where for the next minute they're resistant to all damage, gain temp HP equal to Monk level + WIS modifier, and every punch that hits deals an additional 1d8 Force damage.
>>
>>52939885
Not sure if its there one but here's one of em.
>>
>>52939885
Thanks! I use it quite a lot for NPCs in my campaigns, and just today I convinced a DM of mine to let me develop the spell Gullship from that book.

Looks like >>52939924 found the Wot4E rework. I want to try it myself sometime.
>>
>>52939917
Dragonborn Punchbarian. DO IT.
>>
>>52938250
Plenty of reasons can explain this. The first one that comes to mind is that if Superior Darkvision is a dominant trait, then assuming both of his parents are heterozygous for the allele, then your offspring in question still has a 25% chance of being homozygous recessive for the trait.
I will not lie, I have never taken a Genetics class, but my Bio series in uni covered several possibilities for trait inheritance.
Maybe Superior Darkvision sex-linked and is X-linked Dominant, but the mother is heterozygous for the trait. If the offspring is male, they will exhibit a 50% chance of inheritance, while all the females will have a 100% inheritance rate.

This is why genetics should never be brought up in D&D.
>>
File: magic item rarity.png (58KB, 281x109px) Image search: [Google]
magic item rarity.png
58KB, 281x109px
>>52939681
Sounds good actually. If you didn't want to go through the trouble of making up a bunch of new abilities you could probably just go by the rarity tiers in the DMG.
>>
>>52939917
The stats of a dragonborn lend themselves better to Barbarian, so I would recommend the latter. Not to mention, dragonbreath DC scales with constitution.

>>52939922
>Monk who has gained wisdom from the Far Reams
I'm a sucker for the Far Realms, so I think this is fantastic conceptually. Mechanically, my thoughts are:

>3rd level
Strong, though 3rd level traits need to be strong. This works as is, though I feel it could be made simpler. Perhaps just adding WIS damage to each punch instead of damage dice could do the trick, since monks usually have 14 to 16 wisdom at level 3. This also lets it scale nicely into the late game. Keep the concentration, as that is what prevents this from going overboard, and maybe increase the Ki point cost to 2, since it is a strong feature.

>6th level
I don't know whether or not you let your players take plenty of long rests, though 2 Ki could be costly when compared to a rogue's uncanny dodge. Since it already has a WIS/day restriction, perhaps reducing the Ki cost by a point could keep it balanced.

>11th level
I recommend just making it the same as the spell Truesight, as an 11th level monk would likely have 11 x 3 = 33 minutes and would increase to 20 x 5 = 100 minutes, and keeping track of that could be confusing. A simple 1 hour of truesight is generally all a player needs.

>17th level
I assume the Avatar feature is one per long rest, though it should come with a 3 Ki point cost for lore and balance reasons.
>>
Opinion on Bladesingers?
Friend wants to play one and outside of the shitty hp and no real improvement to damage until 14th level, they seem like a solid AC tank.
>>
>>52940121
>>52940037
Aye, thanks pals.

Murderlizard is a go.
>>
>>52938123
BUT YOU'RE NOT OPTIMISING YOUR CHARACTER
>>
>>52940119
I like making abilities because it let's me get my players to do things, like the barbarian sleeping on top of a mini hoard of treasure so her shield will become wings when strapped to her back.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (653KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
653KB, 1x1px
Alright. The variant rules for my upcoming game that will hopefully go a long time. Anyone see any major issues or have any ideas?

Also does anyone know how to stretch the pdf. longer so it doesn't have the white space?
>>
>>52940121
> Far Realm Monk feedback

I could do WIS modifier to damage as Force, but that seemed odd. I also thought about it scaling as Monk damage die, but then at late game it gets to be potentially a ton of damage dice getting rolled every round.

I think I wanted it to be a high cost on the level 6 ability, because you're spending your reaction to avoid all the damage from one source, which can potentially be a LOT of damage avoided.

Just making the 11th level ability function as the Truesight spell would work just fine. And the Avatar feature is meant to function once per long rest.
>>
>>52940221
The sad part is that I can't tell whether you're genuinely that autistic, or you're being sarcastic and that is the joke.
>>
>>52940279
I'm someone totally unrelated to the conversation between those two and I was being sarcastic. Hopefully this allows you to achieve catharrhis.
>>
>>52940246
You used a double negative in the beginning, so unless you want a smart ass telling you that you asked him to multiclass UA, fix it.

Also, what do you think OP about Mystic?
>>
>>52940311
Some of the disciplines (Gain any proficiency as a bonus action being the worst) have issues.

Basically I'll tweak some things that's wrong with it but other then that it's fine.
>>
>>52940305
I too am an anon unrelated to the original conversation and was simply taking a moment to publicly make a passive aggressive statement regarding my assessment of the state of these threads as of late. Thank you for clearing up the matter however, anon.
>>
File: Wot4E Remastered V2.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wot4E Remastered V2.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>52939924
The same group that made that remaster made an updated version, here you go
>>
>>52940130
The key to playing bladesinger is ironically not using it as a melee combatant, but rather as a standard caster. With bladesong, they get quite a lot of combat benefits a normal wizard can only dream of:
>More movement speed for kiting melees
>Better AC do deal with stray attacks
>INT modifier to Concentration checks, potentially boosting to Autosave territory at later levels
>Recharges on a short rest, making the wizard less long-rest dependent

This level 2 ability is vastly superior to most, if not all, level 2 wizard abilities while in combat, making it a solid defensive choice for non-martial wizards. If you are blessed with 18 or better CON or WIS at high levels, then a single-level dip into Barbarian or Monk respectively renders Mage Armor obsolete.

>>52940246
8/10 variant rules. Vitality is an interesting concept. I like it, though I will say that the temporary reduction to the constitution score will get complicated, so perhaps removing that part would be nice to keep the flow of the game strong. Also, I don't see a reason why being shot by a firearm should give them disadvantage on concentration checks, as I'd imagine fireball burns and greatsword gashes would be as distracting as a gunshot wound.

>>52940257
Personally, d4s and d6's just felt weird to me. Since some other classes have ways of adding ability modifiers to attacks, I felt that WIS Force damage on hit was balanced enough.

I do see your point with the 6th level ability, though you must consider what kinds of creatures put all of their power into one roll-based attack. Since players only get one reaction, throwing in multiple creatures or creatures with multiattack can drain the monk quickly. It's up to you, since you decide what kinds of threats the player would face.

The rest looks fine then. I hope this works out for you Anon!
>>
Has anyone ever used/encountered the Rug of Smothering (MM), Guardian Portrait (CoS) and Animated Table (TftYP) together in an encounter?
>>
>>52940335
I'd recommend you to tweak it before you hand the primer, it would (rather, will) your player's choice.

I know I just wouldn't take Nomadic Mind if the DM didn't want it, but not knowing if I can't or not use Nomadic Step or Crown of Command or Psionic Restoration would put me off.

It's like you had said, "Modifications to Fighting Syles coming." It sounds like bad news.
>>
Is there a race which gives +2 CHA and a damaging CHA cantrip?
>>
>>52940634
The Yuan-Ti Pureblood from Volo's Guide gets +2 to Charisma and the Charisma-based poison spray cantrip. It also gets magic resistance

If the above is banned for being too OP or for plot reasons, you can also consider using the Half-Elf variant to get the cantrip and asking your DM to let you use Charisma as the casting stat. It's not that big of a thing to ask, so it could work out.
>>
>>52940458
Add a hung cloaker, a suit of armor, and a chest.
>>
>>52940634
Yuan-ti duh

Ok, take a Yuan-Ti Noble as your squire from Knight background and they have +4 Cha mod and use poison spray DC 14
>>
For the people that DM from time to time, is I normal to make a flow charts and the like so when the party trying to interrogate and/or bribe NPCs, you don't give away too much info?
>>
>>52940778
I don't think so, but I don't see any problem with it either.
>>
>>52940778
I like to do small lists with things like 'desires,' 'possesses,' 'knows' and the like. Flowcharts seem a little rigid, but if they work for you, that's fine.
>>
>>52940797

I am making a small quest and there is going to be a scout that can be captured. My idea was if they try to bribe him, he will start to fight again, if they try to sweet talk him, he will give them intel but it will be a trap too but if the party threatens and gets rough, the scout with spill all of the intel the party wants.
>>
>>52940860
I write some small boxes and label them.
>if threatened (Cha Intimidation):
>1)DC 10
>2)DC 15
>3)DC 20
>If Sweet talked:
>1)...

You get it.
>>
>>52940699
I considered the last two but never the first one. Brilliant!
>>
>>52940699
>Hung cloaker
l-lewd
>>
File: Cloaker.png (22KB, 118x74px) Image search: [Google]
Cloaker.png
22KB, 118x74px
>>52940976
>>
>>52940778
I do that. It's more in text form with cascading bullet points, but it provides a similar effect. It's a nice, short-hand way to quickly react to what a player does.

Remember, the best GMs don't write out full stories. They create plot sections and then let the players do what they like. With the way I do things, I try to account for as many possible options as I can, but I keep it open-ended, so that if they come up with something I didn't think of, I can easily adapt it.
>>
File: text flowchart.jpg (111KB, 613x827px) Image search: [Google]
text flowchart.jpg
111KB, 613x827px
>>52940778
Forgot picture
>>
Have you ever tried to make a caster of a specific type: a pyromancer, for instance. How did it turn out?
>>
>>52940778
Why bother

Players never pay attention and never remember anything so go nuts
>>
>>52941061
I've made a "mental" wizard before. Only took mind related spells like detect thoughts, suggestion, charm person, telekinesis, etc.

Worked out pretty well. Lots of out of combat utility.
>>
>>52941061
Kaladesh pyromancer
However I've homebrewed it to do more than just fire, switching between fire, cold, acid, and necrotic as a bonus action.
>>
>>52941061
Pyros mix very well with a red or golden dragon sorcerers.
It works okay until you get to "Resistant to X damage" monsters.
>>
>>52941061
One of my players did a full illusion caster, it was pretty neat and he was inventive with it to help control the flow of battle.
>>
>>52940458
My favorite thing with a rug of smothering is to have it jump into a fireplace with someone rolled up
>>
>>52941156
I like you anon.
>>
>>52941299
The party thought it was amazing the first time.

they never expected the second
>>
File: 1483468461489.gif (844KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1483468461489.gif
844KB, 200x150px
>>52941156
You glorious bastard
>>
>>52941330
They tried to trick the artificer who made them by only having one PC go into his office and accept the offer of tea, then threw a silence in and started shooting. The table, the rug, and the suit of armor on the wall all sprang up to defend the articifer who was also a mind flayer in disguise
>>
>>52941359
you are my favorite person right now.
>>
>>52941359
That's pretty good.
>>
probably a dumb question, i'm sure i remember reading the answer somewhere but i've forgotten. can non-magic using classes use a magic item that allows you to cast a spell? like the robe of stars. I know they can't use scrolls unless they can get that spell or already have it.
>>
>>52941359
I have much to learn from you.
>>
File: 1480729843326.jpg (14KB, 223x225px) Image search: [Google]
1480729843326.jpg
14KB, 223x225px
>>52941359
I need to do more stuff like this
>>
>>52938068

I really like the Wujen disciplines. The storm and air ones are right up my alley.

Really hope they get new level 3/6 abilities though.
>>
>>52941478
The best part? The tea was reasonably high quality to the point of being delicious

I really don't see how they didn't see it coming though, they'd just cleaved through a dungeon worth of constructs, including wheel skeletons
>>
>>52941516
>final spoiler
>>
>>52941516
10/10 would read again.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 620x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 620x339px
>>52941516
>>
Are we going to get the rest of the maps in the mega from Volo's besides the beholder's lair?
>>
>>52941447
A lot of magic items require you to be of a certain class to attune to them in order to gain their benefits, but some are free for anyone to use.
>>
>>52939092
Feel free to stop posting any time
>>
>>52941814
Sick 3 hour later rebuttal.
>>
File: Side Quest.png (153KB, 2065x775px) Image search: [Google]
Side Quest.png
153KB, 2065x775px
Look like a properly half assed quest? The usual DM wants to be a player for a bit and asked if I would want to run a couple side quests every other session we play.
>>
>>52941944
Why are you still here?
>>
>>52941994
same reason as you i guess?
>>
>>52942053
Working closing on a weekday?
>>
File: BSKeep.jpg (82KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
BSKeep.jpg
82KB, 1024x576px
6th level party enters their new keep after wiping out an army of bad guys. They bad guys left a few of their number behind.

The sentry outside runs through the gate upon seeing them, baiting them within with his fear.

Suprise: the first two PCs to enter are attacked by orc assassins dropping down from above. They have surprise so auto-crit with their sneak attacks dealing 1d4 (dagger) + 3d6 sneak + 4d6 poison, with advantage. Probably this takes out one or two characters. The assassins then flee within, still on their surprise rounds with 30 feet + bonus dash.

1; the reeling party reacts and is facing 2 assassins, 5 mooks, and a beefy captain in plate. The bad guys kite from range and make their way within the keep. The players likely struggle to follow, having to (probably) heal or even rez one of their friends.

2; disappearing inside, where do the bad guys go that is most tactically advantageous? (Pic related).

3; During whatever fray comes later the evil cleric appears holding a child hostage with a knife to his throat.

This is fucking dramatic, right?
>>
>>52942091
sure, why not.
>>
If I want the party to face a single creature for their first encounter, and be lvl 2 after it for other encounters i have planned, should i just give them lvl 2 after the first encounter? the monster i wanted to use gives 200xp, should i just bump it to 300? feels kinda cheap, but i want them going into a dungeon beginning at lvl2
>>
>>52938046
Why not Wizard with Performance skill?
Anyway Half-Elf would work.
8 14 14 16 10 14 after racial modifier.
>>
File: Brokenspire Keep.png (705KB, 724x960px) Image search: [Google]
Brokenspire Keep.png
705KB, 724x960px
>>52942133
Wrong picture, map attached
>>
>>52942136
Add a couple of mooks to the fight. What's the monster?
>>
>>52942136
If you feels cheap then add some sort of skill challenge (tracking the beast, negotiate the reward with client etc.) to the encounter.
>>
File: 1453044517815.jpg (45KB, 795x995px) Image search: [Google]
1453044517815.jpg
45KB, 795x995px
When you're making a spell that doesn't necessarily do damage, how do you determine what level it ought to be? I feel like level 1-2 and 8-9 spells have pretty clear power levels, but it's hard to know where to put stuff in the middle. Do you guys have any methods or ideas?
>>
>>52942184
Any examples of what you wanna make?
>>
>>52942154
i've talked about it in another thread. Scarecrow that's been kidnapping townsfolk for years (they don't know it's the scarecrow obviously). It'll turn out that it has been capturing them for it's master, an evil wizard or some shit. So after that encounter they're gonna go to that dude's dungeon.

>>52942171
see above, i think it'd cheapen the encounter a bit to have a scarecrow, and then like, 3 goblins. idk what other appropriate creature would be appropriate. and adding a second scarecrow would be way too tough, they're pretty lethal already
>>
>>52942133
Why not just "rocks fall you die" it'd be easier and wouldn't give the party false hope.
>>
>>52942184
What does the spell you want to make do? Or are you just asking in general?

Often it's something you just have to figure out. Generally it should be a spell that you won't always chose over other options.
>>
>>52942133
Yeah, to the point of why bother.
>>
>>52942222
Skill challenge brah. Exp come from overcoming challenge not from murderhoboing all creatures.
>>
>>52942184
I'm guessing you're asking this because one of your players has dispel magic or something similar? Because outside of those I can't imagine when spell levels come into play

Just have them roll and then make up the DC depending on if you think it fits the narrative or your party member's spell casting ability could realistically overpower the spell you made.
>>
>>52942228
>>52942215
There's just a lot of gaps and powerspikes in the spell list as it is, is all. It all feels so sacred cow, it's hard to know what fits in where. I'm having trouble gauging the designers ideas on power levels just reading.

It also bothers me on a deep spiritual level that arcane casters can cast "wish." I know it's always been that way, but how is that not a divine only thing?
>>
So let's say there's a group of Goblin charging me. I have already got a Flying speed for some reason and fly directly above them, if I cast a cone spell straight down does it spread as far in all directions effectively targeting a circle below me?

Asking for my friend's Sun Soul Monk.
>>
>>52942357
Well the Clerics get divine intervention that you could argue can be more useful but a little random. Bards, Sorcerers and Wizard can take Wish.

So only Druids can't and their level 19-20 abilities are rather horrendously powerful. Turning into an ant, hiding in a bush and using a max level Call Lightning from a distance effectively makes you invincible.
>>
My DM is letting me buy a driftglobe. Is it worth it even if I already have the light cantrip?

Looking for some good utility common and uncommon items
>>
>>52942456
Rope of Climbing, Bag of holding and Nightvision Googles are always good.
>>
What level is ideal for challenging pit lord and arch fiend of equal quantity as the party?
>>
>>52942379
>>52942379
Cone spells have a radius as large as they are long at any given point making a 53 degree angle. In order to cast, say cone of cold, against them with max effectiveness you would have to be 60 feet above the ground (or above their heads, most shit is 5 foot tall at least to eat it) but it would essentially become a sphere looking at it from top down as a 2d plane.
>>
>>52942646
Huh, that's pretty cool. Other then Cone of Cold, Prismatic Spray and Burning Hands are there any cool cone spells?
>>
>>52938047
Or you could go Stone sorcerer and actually play a archetype designed for melee
>>
>tfw three and a half hours until mega lets me download the trove
>>
>>52942669
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?query=cone
First 6 at least. Possibly more from more recently released shit.
>>
>>52942468
I do like light shit. As in weight. Not a fan of always knowing there's a huge ass bedroll and rope on my back. I may be able to score both. I had to leave behind 4 magic greatswords (probably for the best to avoid overpowering) because I couldn't carry them.
>>
>>52942477
Do you mean a Pit Fiend?

Or an Archdevil/Demon Lord?

Because the former is pretty obvious, but Demon Lords are CR 23+ and top out around CR 26 or so. Archdevils I'd probably put at around CR 25-27 (minus Asmodeus obviously, and Bel because he's a glorified Pit Fiend), leaving them below Tiamat (CR 30) but higher than Demon Lords because there are only eight of them under normal conditions.

So factor that into things. They should certainly be into the 16+ area.
>>
>>52942681
Except it's a more tanky one. Dragon Sorcerer gets the +5 Damage on GFB, Dexterity based armour and the same HP boost.

Stone Sorcerer gets some decent spells (Elemental Weapon), a reaction attack and a level 14 damage boost.

I'd rather an early damage boost, the ability to be DEX based and get free flying later on. Plus as a Drow I'd get Rapier proficiency to use.
>>
>>52942747
CON AC >>>> DEX AC
>>
>>52942812
>Watch as I hit literally nothing because I'm trying to focus all my stats in Dex, Cha and Con.
>>
>>52942882
>dex
eh, not at all, just cha and con.
>>
File: 51nbnsVUgbL.jpg (46KB, 382x500px) Image search: [Google]
51nbnsVUgbL.jpg
46KB, 382x500px
Opinions on Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>52943015
Pretty good adventure overall for both players and the DM.
>>
File: 1493349635103[1].gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1493349635103[1].gif
4MB, 480x270px
Are there propaganda and reeducation campaigns in your setting?
>>
So I'm kind of new to 5E, and curious, how would you rate the current classes from best to worst and why?
>>
>>52943105
obvious bait image aside, yes

The dragon king was a great ruler when he only ruled a single province, and could fly anywhere in his domain within an hour, and could personally remember any of his citizens and personally resolve any major dispute.

Now that he's got the world's largest empire under his control, he prefers propaganda and heavy law enforcement to keep the populace in line, though he wishes he could do it all himself.
>>
>>52943138
Top tier:
Wizard, cleric, paladin, bard
Things here do a lot of jobs very well.
High Tier:
everything else, Ranger (Revised)
Things here do their job very well, or a lot of thing decently.
Low Tier:
Ranger (PHB), a couple of specific archetypes (non-UA bladelock, berserker barb, 4 elements monk)
Things in here are able to do their job, but another class/archetype just does it better.
>>
>>52943138
Bards
other full casters

power gap

paladins
everyone else

certain kits are noticeably stronger (theurge wizard) or weaker (4 elements monk) than the rest of their class, but overall its a fairly small difference. the gap between casters and martials becomes much larger without feats, as martials rely on them much more than casters
>>
>>52942910
How are you going to be a melee character with CON and CHA?

>inb4 multiclassing UA

>>52943015
I wasn't a huge fan but I prefer dungeon crawls and political games.
>>
>>52943138
Top Tier:
Wizard/Bard
Best spell selection, full casters, can do anything in the game, and do it well. Either the base class has overpowered features magical secrets), or the class options are overpowered (illusion/Divination wizards).

Great Tier: Druids, Warlocks, Clerics, Rogues Sorcerers

These classes have issues, but not enough to prevent them from being excellent contributors if the player is smart.

Bad Tier:
Everything else
Martials without skill monkey type features like the rogue has suck. You will do nothing but attack in combat, only contributing damage, which is boring as fuck. Out of combat, you will be relegated to lifting heavy things for the benefit of your casters.
>>
>>52943204
Druid should really be in top tier, too, considering moon druid exists.

Two wildshapes a short rest as a bonus action, along with having all the usual spells which while more limited includes plenty of spells most other spellcasters don't get access to normally. Spike growth, pass without trace. Still has polymorph.
>>
>>52943237
shillelagh tomelock is core.
>>
>>52943204
Paladins only do one job well, though.
>>
>>52943237
stone sorc goes strength and gets better weapons than drag sorc. drag still needs three stats, especially if youre going to go melee, but stone sorc gets more out of their stats and has better proficiencies to boot
>>
>>52943256
Doesn't moon druid drop off hard later on? As I recall, your options for wildshaping get really limited.
>>
>>52943273
>does a lot of damage
>phenomenal defenses
>good hp
>nearly best healing in the game without multiclass (aura of vitality)
>some out of combat utility spells
>capable face
>free horse

I mean if "carrying the team" is a job, it's theirs. Ranged combatant and area blaster are really all they don't do.
>>
>>52943267
...We're talking about melee Sorcerers. He's saying there's no point to a melee Dragon Sorcerer when Stone Sorcerer exists even though melee Stone Sorcerer can be pretty MAD and is only better at level 14+ for damage.

>>52943283
Dragon Sorcerer can get away with high DEX for attacks/AC and CHA for spells with a 12/14 CON. Stone needs STR for attacks, CON for AC, CHA for spellcasting.

Both are perfectly fine but the guy clearly wants to be a DEX based Drow Dragon Sorcerer over a Stone one so saying "It's better, why wouldn't you use it?" doesn't help him.
>>
>>52943348
>shillelagh
>not melee SAD
???
>>
Got a question. Using the free object interaction, if a player is dual wielding daggers, can the character throw one as an action and then draw a third out as a free action?
>>
>>52943375
Did you follow the discussion? I said

>How will you be a melee character with CHA and CON?

in regards to him saying a melee Stone Sorcerer could only needed CHA and CON. Unless you multiclass UA there you can't get Shillelagh on a Stone Sorcerer which means you need at least 3 stats high.
>>
>>52943390
From the way I've read it yes it's a free action.
>>
>>52943312
You get to turn into an elemental, and from the looks of it that's pretty neat. I'd have to go check their stats again though. Even if your options are limited, a bonus action to gain 100 health or whatever it is at those levels is still great, considering it's twice a short rest.
I never really saw them dropping awfully hard.

And even then, as a fallback you have full caster progression.

And even then, you're the most SAD class in the game, and there's a few combinations with wildshape you can do considering you retain a number of things.

You can debate whether the lategame is relevant anyway (The lategame definitely favours casters).

Really, we can look at the casters partially by casting ability (which is mostly the same) and partally by other things they get:

Wizard. Has arcane recovery for more slots and plenty of spells known and knowable. Outside of that, casts rituals and has some nice archetype upgrades such as portent.
Bard. Spellcasting is okay but then has access to some hard to get spells. Main abilities outside spellcasting are being really good at skills and cutting words.
Druid. Sepllcasting is okay. Main abilities outside spellcasting are being a fucking tank with high HP and low AC.
Cleric. Spellcasting is okay with some extra spells known/prepared. Main abilities outside of spellcasting are... Having high AC, I guess?
>>
>>52943390
Yes. Drawing is a Free Action, but Actions can be performed in almost any configuration.
>>
>>52943252
>Warlocks
>Great tier
>Both half casters
>Bad tier

This is some mediocre bait.
>>
>>52943390
Yes, but you should let them draw more than that if necessary considering they could throw two in a round, draw one, draw one at the start of next round, throw two and then be left only throwing one dagger at a time.

Daggers are inferior to hand crossbows in almost every way aside from hand crossbows wanting that feat. But once you get that feat, it's way better.
1d4+DEX + 1d4 with bonus
5/10/15/20ft effective range
Requires drawing enough daggers and having enough daggers.
Incompatible with 'ranged weapon' clause abilities but compatible with 'ranged attack' clause abilities at 10ft and up, compatible with 'melee weapon attack' clause abilities at 5ft.

versus

1d6+DEX + 1d6+DEX with bonus
5/10/15/20/25/30ft effective range
Requires bolts.
Compatible with 'ranged weapon' clause abilities at all ranges.
>>
>>52943320
Until Destructive Wave, at which point they can sort of area blast.
>>
Which school of magic should my hobgoblin wizard specialise in? Lorewise, Evocation is what most hobgoblins go for, but Divination seems like it would be fun and I'm torn.
>>
>>52943105
Even better, I have a monotheistic religion in a polytheistic setting where every child is taught that their god is the only god, all other "spirits" claiming to be gods are liars, and anyone who doesn't worship the one true god is a fool. It gets even better when the "one true god" of the empire is actually an impostor god, with the "one true god" imprisoned somewhere, and the imposter is slowly rewriting the god's holy book to fit his ideals and values instead.
>>
>>52943499
Warlocks get spell levels as fast as any full caster. That's the important thing when considering power level. Half casters are shit because they don't learn spell levels fast enough.
>>
>>52943554

How committed are you to story? Either Evocation or Abjuration would work, though Evo is more Hobgobliny.
>>
>>52943273
They do one job well, and it's combat. It's general enough that they're not a one-trick-pony like monk.

Sure, they aren't as generally applied as a caster, but they're damn good at the job they do.
>>
>>52943554
Evocation can be fun at higher levels (Super Magic Missile) but it isn't too strong. When it's abilities come up though you basically get to demolish hordes of enemies better then other Wizards while playing a normal one outside of that.

Diviner is obviously powerful but people don't often account for the times you roll shit. An 11 and a 10 on your dice won't feel very impressive and isn't really, but when you get a 3 and a 20 then you'll be awesome.

Have you thought about War Mage? I played one a while ago and didn't think it would be fun, but it really is. Plus Hobgoblin really fits the theme as well.
>>
>>52943553
Spirit Guardians if Crown too, I guess. At least Turning gives Devotion and Ancients SOME area effects.
>>
>>52943554
Have you considered the War Magic one from UA? I think that would fit nicely.

If UA is banned, then you can justify Divination as "Tactician Magic" that allows you to plan and predict enemy movements.
>>
>>52943575
>implying spells are all that matter in a class' kit
>not realizing warlocks are still shit compared to have paladins
>>
>>52943591
They can also function as pretty good healers and social characters.
>>
>>52943632
If spells aren't all that matter, then warlocks are still better, because pacts and invocations are superior to most class features paladins get. In fact, warlocks make better smiters than paladins with the new UA.
>>
>>52943575
Warlocks main issue comes from the fact for the better half of the game they're worse then other fullcasters. Most people have at most 1 or 2 short rests per Long one, so your 4-6 slots a day aren't really that impressive when a level 3 Wizard has 6-7 depending on how they use their recovery.

Warlocks are honestly a weird cross between a martial and a caster in play because most of the time your best option is Hex + EB spam.
>>
Moon Druid, Battlemaster, Sun Soul Monk and a GOOlock.

How often do you think we're going to take short rests?
>>
>>52943647
>anything in the warlock kit
>better than aura of protection
how about no.
>>
>>52943647

UA shouldn't be factored into power level discussions because it's untested shit.

Auras and better smites on a Paladin, since you have 2 spell slots lul so you aren't able to consistently have smites available.
>>
>>52943663
Warlocks get the most at-will type features of any class. You can boil your turns down to hex+EB spam, but you don't have to.

You can micromanage a familiar. You can be an illusionist dick, you can levitate at will. The class is full of possibilities for fun turns, and great roleplaying.
>>
>>52943575
Yeah, but the warlock spell list is mostly shit. All you're going to do in combat is EB and cast Hex the vast majority of the time. You don't have enough slots to actually cast utility spells out of combat. Invocations are practically the only thing separating you from a fighter at the end of the day.

Meanwhile rangers (UA obviously) have actual utility and paladins are one of the best designed classes in the game.
>>
>>52938287
Damn, now I want to do that.
>>
>>52943685
Depends on the DM. How WotC set up short rests being 4-6 for every long rest is way to high across not only my own games, but pretty much any game I've come across. But that sounds like a fun party, nonetheless.
>>
>>52943698
If we're playing strictly vanilla DnD, then warlocks with a paladin dip can smite more often than a pure paladin, using the rest/encounters per day guidelines.

>>52943697
Yes. Pact of the Chain and Tome are both way better.
>>
>>52943647
>In fact, warlocks make better smiters than paladins with the new UA.
Sure, if we forget they're made out of papier mache.
The Paladin class is a defensive juggernaut, on the other hand, on top of the healing and other exclusive spells that other poster mentioned. +5 to saves in an aura? Party-wide immunity to half the conditions in the game or resistance to spell damage? It's a class that can almost singlehandedly support a whole party, if hard pressed.

Besides, people's main gripe with Warlocks is that they fucking suck unless you powerfeed them short rests, a problem that relegates them into EB turrets outside of invocations.
>>
>>52943699
The familiar's honestly not that great past level 4, at-will silent image is actually really cool but you can't move the illusion and at-will levitate is at level 9... It's cool but does stop you taking cover at all.

I'm not saying Warlock isn't cool and I do like Warlocks over playing Wizards. Just that they're not really that powerful even with those at-will abilities.
>>
>>52943725

Congrats, you need to be part Paladin to be better than a Paladin.
>>
So I'm making a Halloweenish sandbox for a new campaign and I have fifteen levels for the players to explore (three for each level). How do these sound?

1st Level Dungeons
>Scarecrow's Farm
>Giant Spider's House
>Ghoul's Graveyard

2nd Level Dungeons
>Gargoyle's Tower
>Awakened Tree's Grove
>Poltergeist's Manor

3rd Level Dungeons
>Hag's Swamp
>Werewolf's Woods
>Mummy's Tomb

4th Level Dungeons
>Ghost's Catacombs
>Chuul's Lake
>Succubus's Lair

5th Level Dungeons
>Flesh Golem's Lab
>Vampire Spawn's Castle
>Troll's Cave

Also, I'm trying to think of Halloweeny items to give them. All that comes to mind are broom of flying, cloak of the bat, and hat of disguise. Any tips?
>>
Is giving Warlock an extra spellslot at level 5 or 6 going to fix it? At that point it's basically cast 1 highest level spell per combat.
>>
>>52943642
Healing is a combat thing mostly, even if it's sometimes done out of combat, though they can get people up in combat.

Being a face isn't anything too special when a rogue and bard can do it better, along with sorcerer/warlock probably ending up with higher charisma, and really not having anything special socially above anyone else aside from likely not putting an 8 on charisma.
It's a small boon, but the main party face feature is simply being a paladin, and people should be more willing to trust a paladin. And usually they have better personalities than, say, the warlock. Usually.

>>52943768
Depends what you mean by 'fix'. Their role isn't really 'spellcasting a lot during combat', anyway.
If you made it easier for them to regain spell slots outside of combat, that'd help them a lot in terms of out-of-combat-casting.
>>
>>52943768
Warlocks aren't broken, so there's nothing to fix. I think you're playing it wrong, buddyboy.
>>
>>52943699
You're vastly overestimating the actual usefulness of those things. There's a difference between having options and having meaningful options. Warlock has a lot of options, but very very few will ever be better than EB+Hex.
>>
>>52943741
The familiar is incredible at all levels. At the very least in combat, it is free, safe, advantage for one person on all of their attacks, for the entirety of combat. Out of combat, it is only limited by the creativity of the user.

I'm not saying warlocks are the best class ever either. All I'm saying is that they're good, which is more than you can say for any half caster.

The thing you have to realize about 5e is that every class can succeed at combat. The large majority of power differential comes from out of combat utility, where paladins fall very far behind the warlock.
>>
One of my favorite PCs died in tonight's session.

This campaign has been going for nearly a year so it was a tough loss. Interested to see where the campaign goes next and what character they'll play.
>>
>>52943768
Short rests taking 5-10 minutes instead of an hour would fix the only problem anybody ever actually has as a warlock (never taking short rests).
>>
>>52943816
One of those deaths where there's 0 chance of a revive?
>>
File: 26780-13011-23273.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
26780-13011-23273.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>52943816
>>
>>52943822
With that Monk becomes a powerhouse, Moon Druid is broken as shit and Battlemaster... actually doesn't get that much better because most of it's power comes from the base class.

Those are the main 4 short rest users right?
>>
>>52943541
I would legit have no problems with a PC just drawing two daggers with one free action.

So long as they have two hands I see no problem with them buttoning twenty daggers on themselves with straps and then ripping them off their person as they please.

Any more than that and I would probably make them carry them in a sack or something, and just tell them to dump the daggers on the ground and pick them up and throw them if they need to throw more than twenty without requipping. If only because I don't think I would be comfortable with someone playing Dr. Jackal from Get Backers.
>>
>>52943827
Yeah, zero chance. He also got raised as a specter immediately after... It was a series of unfortunate events.
>>52943848
How I felt. Hated to do it. But it made the player feel good to see how everyone was so distraught by his death.
>>
>>52943579
>>52943598
>>52943619
Unfortunately Unearthed Arcana is not an option for this character, otherwise I probably would have gone with Loremaster or War Mage.

Certainly I can justify Divination in-character. Khazrak comes from a line known for producing powerful wizards and shamans, some of whom are even slightly sane. For some reason magic and madness run deep in the blood of the Brokentooth clan, and its members have a gift for seeing more than other mortals do - a gift that can become a curse, if they look too deeply into forbidden things. They are not members of a hobgoblin legion, but live apart, half sacred and half shunned. It is a bold or foolish warlord who seeks to recruit the Brokentooth clan to his cause, for he cannot be sure whether their aid will bring him victory or black doom.

Something like that, anyway.
>>
>>52943915
Actually I've got a sort of lite rule that is basically if you want to play a character again, even one that perma died, there's a chance they can come back.

But in this case it would require an epic quest to do so. I've plans to talk with the player and see what he feels.
>>
>>52943761
0/10 no skellies

Seriously though, it seems fine. How about reflavoured items to give them a more Halloweenish feel? Jack-o-lantern Lanterns and shit like that.
>>
>>52943807
Have you ever considered how combat would go if you didn't have a martial meatwall? You'd get shredded. And summoning isn't an answer because one good ranged attack can break your concentration and shut that down. Martials are almost always necessary for casters to "succeed at combat".

Besides, you're vastly overrating a caster's ability to deal with out of combat situations. You rarely have all the correct spells known/prepared and you're rarely willing to just blow your slots at every encounter.
>>
Can a Bladesinger actually be any decent using melee attacks instead of Cantrips? Obviously I'd cast spells like normal but I'm a big fan of mages actually being able to use light armour and fight in melee.
>>
>>52943994
Better, I've played an all caster party. It was actually easier than the party we've had with a "martial meat wall." Moon Druids are even better meat walls.

More than anything else though, if all you can muster up in the martial's defense is "martial meat wall", then you're basically agreeing with me. That's shit class design m8.
>>
>>52943994
>Have you ever considered how combat would go if you didn't have a martial meatwall?
Everybody would stand back, perhaps produce some cover, use some cover or even put things like grease to stop enemy advance, and laugh as they pelt the enemies with fire from a distance and the enemies can do jack shit. And then nobody would need healing.

If you really need a front line, just use a druid.
>>
>>52943994
>>52944086
Oh, also
>one good ranged attack can break your concentration and shut that down
Have you ever heard of 'cover'? It's this brilliant new invention that stops exactly this from happening. I see people in the movies using it all the time now with guns appearing.

Because, you know, standing out in the open gets you shot sometimes.
>>
>>52944096
Sometimes I wonder what my games would look like if my players weren't retarded and used terrain and thought about their movements.

They basically just rush things and hope they don't die.
>>
File: b5a.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
b5a.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
>full caster autists out in force tonight

Welp I guess that's enough 5eg for one day.
>>
>>52944086
Who is DMing in this situation? A rock? It seems like every caster fag thinks all fights take place in large empty spaces against enemies only capable of basic melee attacks.

What if the enemy has good ranged attacks? I guess you're fucked.

What if the enemy has ranged stuns/disables?

What if the enemy is fast or can fly?

What if the enemy is sneaky, and ambushes you?

These hypos never take defense into account. A paladin's aura of protection is incredible, likely the most powerful ability in the game due to how much of the bullshit that can happen is caused by failed saves.
>>
>>52942682
Clearly you should grab a handful of books to look at now, and set the trove to download after.
>>
File: Ryuutama combat.png (569KB, 495x770px) Image search: [Google]
Ryuutama combat.png
569KB, 495x770px
>>52944109
I plan out all sorts of weird battlemaps and shit and my players never use it.

You know what system has a battle-grid that my players use? Fucking Ryuu-goddamn-tama.

When you tell them "The objects on the field are as follows: a box, a cat, a crate of oranges, an old man and a bucket" and suddenly they're coming up with fucking battle-plans that revolve around these random fucking pieces of shit in the most complicated manner possible. You give them a fucking 30x30 grid and they just kinda wander towards the enemy and hit them.
>>
>>52944045
>You don't need martials at all!
>You just need a specific class that literally turns into a martial during combat!

And I'm sure your encounters didn't take longer than they should have because you didn't actually have any consistent damage dealers.

>>52944086
>>52944096
You know cover is just a bonus to AC, right? And you have shit AC because most casters can't wear real armor. I'm sure that'll easily stop enemies designed to crack through 20 AC fighters. Plus there's not always good cover.

>But I can just use magic to make cover or shore up my defenses otherwise

Oh wow, look at that, I have even less spell slots and spells known/prepared to use elsewhere.
>>
>>52943237
>UA is good but you can't multiclass it.

As DM, if it's not good enough for both multiclassed and single classed, I'm not going to allow it, period.
>>
>>52944132
>Good ranged attacks
Most enemies have better melee attacks than ranged attacks. There are also plenty of enemies who don't have ranged attacks at all.

Also, again, since you're not in a large empty space you can use cover from ranged attacks.
If the enemy then starts using cover themselves, you should still have plenty of spells to deal with it.

And, anyway, how's a martial going to protect you from a ranged attack, anyway?
How's a martial going to protect you from ranged stuns/disables?
How's the martial going to protect you if they're fast or can fly?
The only thing they can really do is use sentinel or attempt grapples, and if they're grappling they're down one hand they can use for attacking and it only grapples one enemy. Though, really, grapples/shoves are underrated.
A monk can stun them. I guess. But monks aren't really good frontliners. Good stunners, though.

If the enemy is sneaky, how's the martial going to protect you? I guess a rogue could have good perception, but so could a bard, but them having high passive perception won't save you from an ambush that was lying in wait, only an approaching one.

Paladin's pretty great, I wouldn't consider them when talking about rangers/monks/rogues/fighters/barbarians.

>>52944165
Complete cover is 'You cannot attack me at all'. Cover is a bonus to dex saves and AC, and casters can easily get good armour. It takes a wizard one level of fighter for 21 AC, or one of cleric for 20 AC WITHOUT spells to boost AC.
>>
>>52944173
Something can absolutely work on its own without having to function in tandem with other things.

Instilling a no multiclassing UA rule is basically because it lets you see if it will function straight up.
>>
File: Capture.png (785KB, 509x670px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
785KB, 509x670px
>>52944165
>You know cover is just a bonus to AC, right?
>it's a "martials aren't cucked guys, really" person reveals his ignorance of the rules episode
>>
>>52944214
>>52944132
Actually, on second thought, I guess Paladin does group well with the others. They don't have an awfully broad range of utility, though they do have channel divinity and spells.

I mean, I would call paladin a martial, it's just that if we're talking about 'casters versus martials' then they're a bit of an exception because they're really good at burst, good at sustained damage, pretty tough and provide good team support.
>>
>>52944122
>hey guys, I want martials to be just as good as casters!
>"Aboslutely not, martials must never reach that level, what are you, some kind of casterfag?"
>>
>>52944254
You reading the same thread or do you have brain damage? Every other post is nothing but the usual circlejerk to caster supremecy with no actual solutions offered other than
>Lol play a caster
>>
>>52944314
I mean, that would be an okay argument if anybody was giving a reason to not play a caster.
>>
>>52944314
The first step to solving any problem is getting people to admit they have it anon. People who insist that martials are in an okay state in 5e are just enabling wizards to do the same thing in 6e, or not fix it with UA.
>>
>>52944214
>>52944230
>Hide behind corner/wall
>Pop out only to cast spells and retreat
>Enemy walks around corner/wall

Wow, impenetrable defense. I'm sure you won't have to waste a bunch of spells to keep them from doing that.

Or maybe they aren't braindead and will hide behind some cover themselves?

>Day 86 of the battle
>The enemy still refuses to blindly rush our position or stand in the open
>The stalemate continues
>>
>>52944336
fun

>>52944364
People never want to admit they are wrong, and they sure as fuck don't want to admit they're wrong on a Russian troll training forum.

A better approach would be to come up with ways to improve martials and post them then argue from there and use examples of how it compares to what casters do and helps put them on the same level.

Instead it's the same thread with the same arguments that will end and nothing will actually be done except another martialfag will be dead set that there's nothing wrong.
>>
>>52944364
Have you considered the possibility that offering solutions might be more convincing than just telling people about the problem?

If nothing else, it'd be a lot more constructive than just arguing.
>>
>>52944165
>>52944389
Actually, any caster with access to polymorph can emulate a martial (better than a martial), by turning one of the other casters into an appropriately tough to kill monster, and then hiding behind cover (such as the new giant monster), to avoid getting their concentration blown.

I guess if we're doing conversions, that means a martial is worth exactly as much, and no more, than a 4th level spell slot every encounter.

>>52944426
>>52944435
I've been slowly cobbling together an overhaul that addresses my issues with 5e. Occasionally I post it for constructive criticism here.
>>
>>52944389
They can't always walk around the corner or wall in one turn. Presumably you're going to be actually smart and hide behind one that's out of their walk distance. The only problem is in a small room where you'll have to use a spell to stop their advance.

If they hide behind cover themselves (Assuming they're suitably intelligent, not all monsters are) then you can use spells that attack around corners through AoEs or whatever (Martials can't do this) or simply just ignore them, because most of the time in reasonable DnD games you're not the one going on a murdering spree, it's the monsters that're trying to murder you, unless you're defending somebody or something in which case you're keeping them away by being there.
The deal is the caster has a lot more combat flexibility and can use tactics like these. A martial is restricted to items (not exclusive to martials), grapples/shoving/disarming (A bard can actually be good at this, sometimes a druid too. The main advantage of grappling compared to doing the same with spells is that you can use it as often as you like, which honestly isn't a massive boon compared to combat flexibility), interacting with the environment (Requires your DM to put a lot of thought into fights with extra things for people to do, and again interacting with the environment isn't martials only, sometimes you require a caster to make use of the environment) or lastly they could just attack.
>>
>>52944459
>>52944389
Oh, forgot the other obvious one: If the enemy hides behind cover too, they can't break your concentration. So you can shove that stink cloud right past them, keep that polymorphed teammate still polymorphed, keep spiritual guardians up or whatever. Speaking of which, casters can be fine at close range. A cleric that has spiritual guardians up who'd dodge every turn after that is pretty damn hard to hit and will deal close-range damage every turn.
>>
>tfw still one hour left till mega lets me download the trove
>>
>>52944449
I'm sorry but what beast, exactly, is equal to the fighter?

Careful! Remember that the polymorphed character gets an INT of 3 and animals will flee if attacked
>>
>>52944449
First, polymorph is like moon druids. More meat than bite. A martial will be as hard to kill while dealing real damage. Second, you're sacrificing their casting ability, decreasing your damage output and dragging out the encounter. More spell slots wasted in the long run. Attrition is not the caster's strong suit.

>>52944459
>>52944475
If you have to dump out half your slots at every encounter and just pray that you have all the right spells prepared, then you better hope your DM is generous.
>>
File: Capture.png (1016KB, 547x790px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1016KB, 547x790px
>>52944578
>int of 3
No. The target of the polymorph spell gets whatever INT the polymorph creature has.
>flee when attacked
No. The target of the polymorph spell retains its personality, which leaves the decision to flee purely in the hands of the player.

Read the rules (for the first time, I'm guessing), before posting again.

Giant Apes for instance have INT 7, and do as much or more damage than a martial of 7th level, which should be attacking twice per turn at that level.

>>52944636
See above.
>>
>>52944564
>3 int and will flee if attacked

Just because they're polymorphed doesn't mean they lose all their memory and have no idea what they're doing.
Presumably they will remember their same objective and that they're polymorphed and that it doesn't die if it hits 0 HP, even if it can't make 'smart decisions' (Though you could justify smart decisions in character by saying you already planned to make those decisions before being polymorphed). I guess you could argue that 3 int makes you forgetful, but it's really starting to argue based on arbitrary points rather than on rules by that point.

I'm not the anon you're responding to and I don't have a good memory of all the monster manual monsters so I'll leave that to them, but don't forget that polymorph essentially gives extra HP.
Since you can polymorph them into anything though, there's some good flexibility in there if you want some utility a monster has, considering you then have access to a broad range of monster utility.

>>52944636
There are some spells that will generally apply to a lot of situations. Maximillion's earthern grasp is a counter to flying, I believe, but you could just as easily use a more commonly prepared spell such as hold person. Chances are you should have something prepared even if it's not 100% optimal.

And with some concentration spells you only need to cast it once and then you can cantrip/dodge/hide/use the spell's action/whatever. Not to mention your DM has to deny you rests for slots.
>>
>>52944678
And when did your Wizard travel to the deep jungles to see a giant ape?
>>
>>52943807
>The familiar is incredible at all levels. At the very least in combat, it is free, safe, advantage for one person on all of their attacks, for the entirety of combat

Help action only provides Advantage on the first attack.
>>
>>52944728
Reread the spell description. There is no limit on polymorphing to creatures that the wizard has seen. Are you even trying?

Besides, the wizard read about giant apes in a book, like all other things the wizard knows. You should try reading books too anon. I recommend the Players Handbook.
>>
>>52939483
No. I dont think you could take levels in cleric then lvls in wizard and cast the cleric spells with wizard spell slots. Although thinking about it, i dont see why it would be broken, especially if you go out of your way to spend the money to transcribe them into your spell book. And since all magic spells from every class are classified into the same 8 schools of magic i personally as a dm wouldnt have a problem with it.
>>
>>52944769
Ah then you are simply metagaming. Why not polymorph the fighter into a gargantuan ape with natural adamantine plating and fire breath then?
>>
>>52944795
>I dont think you could take levels in cleric then lvls in wizard and cast the cleric spells with wizard spell slots.

Except you can, it's in the multiclassing section. He's talking about spells races can cast.
>>
>>52944798
Because that would be against the rules anon. You are a dumbass.
>>
>>52939483
Theurge specifically can transcribe cleric spells, but other wizards specifically cannot transcribe cleric spelled put into a wizard spellbook.

If you were a sorcerer, I'd allow a racial spell to count as a spell known, though.
>>
>>52944810
You are a dumbass. Of course you need to have seen the beast in order to polymorph into it otherwise its mixing player knowledge with character knowledge
Example
Wizard
>I polymorph the fighter into a giant ape!
DM
>And what is that, exactly?
>>
>>52944708
Assuming your DM will be liberal with rests is like picking Warlock because you expect to short rest between every fight.

Any DM worth his salt would give an all caster party a hard time about spell slots and solving every problem with magic. God help you guys if you ever have to fight some demons or a rakshasa.

I was once a cleric in a demon heavy campaign. I got one lucky banishment off once before giving up and focusing on utility/healing. Dark times.

>>52944798
Don't be an idiot and overextend.
>>
>>52944836
As a DM, as long as the player could provide a satisfactory background explanation (field trip to the jungle in wizard kindergarden, book report in wizard 4th grade, etc, etc), I'd let them. There isn't a rule against it, so the only concern is maintaining a small amount of suspension of disbelief. Also, I've probably used a giant ape against the party before, so there wouldn't be a problem anyways.

Don't be a moron, and just admit you don't know the rules. Ignorance is fixable. Stupidity aint.
>>
>>52944221
If I really want to playtest something to test if it will function straight up, pregens designed to test it would be a better approach.

If I just want to run a campaign, playtesting stuff with constraints to force it's use a specific way is an obnoxious distraction.
>>
>>52944871
Then what you are admitting is that the wizard does need to have seen the giant ape
>>
>>52944837
Well, yeah. But it's pretty hard to consistently come up with an excuse the players can't rest all the time without it seeming like bullshit.

Sure, you can time-pressure people sometimes, but if you do it all the time it starts to seem a bit silly unless there's a clear world reason (Such as all dungeons in the world have some sort of timer in them for purposes upon creation to let the dungeon master who knows the layout in but keep invaders from repeated attacks)

Magic resistance is a thing, but utility spellcasting should definitely not be underrated. There are many things you can do without targetting saves, casting buffs, spells that still work if the enemy saves or spells that don't need any rolls in the first place.

And if the DM starts denying you solutions to problems, that's bad DMing. As with the rule of improvization, you should encourage creative thinking and say 'yes' or 'yes, but' or 'yes, and' rather than 'no' to everything and only really say 'no' if there's a solid, agreeable reason why what you've just said is fucking stupid.

So a good DM will make your life harder by saying 'yes, but' so that you don't instantly solve something through spells, merely contribute.
>>
>>52944836
>DM
>And what is that, exactly?

It's an ape...that's giant.

The name is pretty self explanatory.
>>
>>52944882
You do realize what 20 intellect and years and years of study means, right?

Do DMs always tell the super knowledgable character 'Well, I've never thrown this monster at you, so you don't know it exists'?
>>
>>52944882
I've already said as much. Is english not your first language? that would explain this sub par comprehension thing you've got going on.

See >>52944769
>Reread the spell description. There is no limit on polymorphing to creatures that the wizard has seen. Are you even trying?
>>
>>52944900
No, that's a thing bad DMs do.
>>
I'm 90% sure the first part of >>52944708 was meant for >>52944578

Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>52944943
Well fuck me sideways
At least it was obvious it was a mispost
>>
If a wizard polymorphs the fighter into a trex or giant ape or whatever, just cast dispel magic.

Or smack the wizard until the spell ends
>>
>>52944885
>But it's pretty hard to consistently come up with an excuse the players can't rest all the time without it seeming like bullshit.

Is it? Really, any time you're more than a day away from town, it shouldn't be easy getting a proper long rest. There's pretty much always monsters roaming about.

As for all the creativity stuff, I completely agree. The problem is that it's universally true for any sort of character, magical or not, and doesn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>52944980
>counterspell
>smack the wizard hiding behind a giant ape

How?
>>
>>52945004
You walk around the giant ape and then smack the wizard.

Or, cast dispel magic on the giant ape
>>
>>52944980
Nah, the wizard is a tactical genius who will hide behind a corner after casting the spell, thereby becoming invulnerable.

Breaking concentration is literally impossible, don't you know?
>>
>>52945004
Walk past giant ape and smack wizard.

Aside from Tunnel Fighter UA + Sentinel on a polearm (which still has limited range), there are no lockdown mechanics in 5e.
>>
>>52945019
Hmm, behind a corner you say?

That might be beyond anyone then
>>
>>52945004
>Counterspell the counterspell
>Enemy fighter now walks up to un-polymorphed ally and rips him apart
>>
>>52945019
it is certainly beyond most monster manual entries.
>>
File: Way of the Unknown - v1.pdf (631KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Way of the Unknown - v1.pdf
631KB, 1x1px
>>52939922

The above anon is me, just referring to where my idea came from for the homebrew attached to this post.

I cleaned up the text and rules wording on the abilities, gave it a bit of fluff, and threw it into the Homebrewery website so it looks like it belongs in a book. Feel free to critique it, offer suggestions for balance, etc., etc.

TL;DR version:

Far Realm Monk archetype. Become the starry-filled night time sky, and vaporize people with punches powered by space stuff.
>>
>>52945053
But is it beyond the DM?
>>
>>52945044
>have a friendly sorcerer subtle counterspell the counterspell counterspelling the counterspell counterspelling the dispel magic, dispelling the polymorph
>because it's subtle, nobody can react to it.
>>
>>52945071
Depends on how RAW, RAI, and Fun he is.

If he's a big believer in either Rules as Written or Intended, then yes, it would be beyond him. 5e was designed with caster supremacy in mind after complaints with 4e. The rules are written and intended to make martials more like they were in 3.5e.
>>
Any party which habitually uses Polymorph to turn into giant apes and trexes will quickly find all enemy spellcasters now come in groups of three and they all polymorph goblins into trexes every combat
>>
File: Way of the Unknown - v2.pdf (631KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Way of the Unknown - v2.pdf
631KB, 1x1px
>>52945067

... And immediately I see a change I had made in my head but didn't type out. Corrected it, this is the most up to date version now.
>>
>>52945083
Please, 5e casters are much weaker than 3.5/PF casters.

Are casters still top tier? Yeah. But by in large martials aren't worthless anymore after you got to like 8th or 9th level in 3/5/PF thanks to Concentration checks and toning down the power of the spells, while giving most of the martial classes options to deal more damage in combat.

Casters are still strong outside of it in terms of speed of certain tasks and other versatility options, but that's all dependent on the caster, what spells they know, and how creative they are in their use of the spells.
>>
>>52945067
>>52945090
I like it, seems pretty fun and not unbalanced at all but I actually have the single stupidest complaint ever that is mostly personal preference.

It uses 3 different damage die for each of it's attacks eventually.

Something about rolling 1d10+1d8+1d4 triggers me so much. I feel like maybe you could make the level 3 ability just be +WIS and the level 17 being d10 would make sense.

Also if you make the level 3 be +WIS then people who want to upgrade Wisdom before Dexterity aren't hugely crippled. Basically makes it DEX for Attack and WIS for Save DC.
>>
>>52945083
This is some low quality bait. Old too.
>>
>>52944995
Just pop up leomund's tiny hut or find some way to take proper shelter so monsters won't find you. Mask your scent, that sort of thing.

The main restriction is time - You can only long rest every 24 hours, it takes 8 hours, so unless the players have some reason to do their job quickly (If they're raiding ancient ruins, you'd have to justify why it was undisturbed for 500 years yet the day you arrive suddenly you have to raid it in 2 days or less, such as a BBEG doing shit there).
In a sandbox game, this is particularly hard, and the best way is probably to put gritty realism rules in along with a very light time pressure (Rather than only having one day, maybe have a week)
>>
>>52944980
The wizard can just stay out of the way, out of range and use cover while the ape will reaction attack you for even approaching them.

It's also a bit bullshit to have dispell magic everywhere as if it's some sort of monster staple, but it is a solution, even if it takes an action.
>>
>>52945130
Refer to the other anon up above who also proposed that the level 3 ability have it apply +WIS modifier as Force damage to punch attacks. Both options work just fine, one just introduces more dice to roll versus adding a flat bonus. You can easily change it so that it's just +WIS modifier as Force damage and it shouldn't change the damage table that much.

I just left the dice in it as is because most Monk players I know tend to like rolling dice and are fast on the math.

If you want to use the +WIS modifier added to punches as Force damage that's fine, just remove the damage die increase addendum at 11th level.
>>
>>52945141
Gee I hope the monsters don't just lie in wait in huge numbers or dig under the hut or have abilities like fire breath to kill everyone inside the hut
>>52945149
The range of polymorph is 60ft. Longbows are 150/600ft.

The giant ape can reaction attack once per round. So a group of enemies walks past after that one attack, completely unmolested, and then murders the wizard
>>
>>52945158
Oh, someone did already say that.

Actually I feel like when I take it to my DM (I really like this) I'll ask for the level 3 to be +WIS and the level 17 makes it another +WIS.

So the average damage is +5/+10 compared to +3.5/+9 but requires a heavy Wisdom investment.

Good job anon.
>>
>>52945183
>And then the wizard pops down another hut
>And he chills out with his friends, eating goodberries, the cleric creating water and laughing at the monsters before they finally cast fly and just fly off.

Longbows are 150ft or so, but they can't attack past total cover, and have disadvantage against prone targets (dropping prone takes 0ft of movement) and has -2 or -5 to hit depending on partial cover.

Again, the wizard simply has to stand, what, 50ft away from the enemies? Why is the wizard so close to the enemies? Can't he at least go through a door and close it?
>>
>>52945141
Leomund's works in the wilderness, but it's hard to find a space for it in a dungeon where nobody will run into it. Otherwise they might lay traps around it or, worst case, even collapse the ceiling on top of it.

I agree that a DM shouldn't do it every time, but if the players are taking rests too frequently then there should be consequences at some point.
>>
>>52945207
Go to the door and open it
Leomunds tiny hut takes 1 minute to cast
If the wizard drops prone then it takes half his movement to stand up I sure hope the enemy don't catch up and kill him

Theres no reason to ever waste time attacking a polymorphed creature (unless you have disintegrate or immolation) so any intelligent creature will simply gank the wizard
>>
>>52945184
Good luck. If you do get to level 17, make sure you have a picture ready for you going all Far Realm Super Saiyan.
>>
>>52940388
Does anyone have any real experience with this? It looks good but I'm always a bit wary of using homebrew without hearing feedback about it.
>>
>>52942747
Stone Sorcerrer with the Resilient STR feat at lvl 4.

Cha doesn't need to be high.
STR and CON need to be.
>>
Does anyone have an up-to-date list of feats/classes/races/backgrounds?

It's been a while since I've looked at the new stuff and I needed to make a new character.
>>
File: moonknights.png (88KB, 703x452px) Image search: [Google]
moonknights.png
88KB, 703x452px
Homebrewing some monsters.
>>
>>52945432
Whats the point of Claw
>>
>>52945415
Nevermind, I found it >>52932688

Is this missing anything?
>>
I'm thinking of trying to make a Wood Elf Monk. I am wondering though, if Elven Accuracy worth it?

The idea of being able to super flurry with 3d20 per roll after a stun sounds amazing but are there any other good ways for Monks to get Advantage?
>>
>>52944389
>Be sun soul monk.
>Hide behind a pillar and blast opponent till he gets near.
>Run arround the pillar and hit him now and then.
>Frustrate my DM till he implements destroyable enviroment rules.
>Use this as a refference for our next jailbreak session to punch through the walls.
>>
File: visible confusion.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
visible confusion.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>52945432
>Deep Speech (radiowaves)
>>
>>52945722
It's not like radiowaves don't exist because you haven't discovered radio
>>
>>52945243
>Any intelligent creature
Only so many creatures are awfully intelligent and understand polymorph
And even if they do, the wizard could be bolting it dashing away every turn while hiding behind things along the way, so you can do jack shit to them.

Dropping prone when you have 30ft of movement means that if you dash you move 45ft total that turn. If an enemy is wasting their turns catching up with a wizard who casts polymorph then moves 30ft away and drops prone then sure, whatever, they're not going to catch up with the wizard immediately in any case.
The wizard can still try to keep the door shut. Doesn't matter if he has 8 strength, he can still roll up to 19 at least if not more.

Leomund's tiny hut takes 11 minutes to cast as a ritual but seriously how many things are going to stop him in those 11 minutes? Do you get attacked every 11 minutes of every day? You can cast leomund's tiny hut while one is still active as far as I'm aware even if it replaces the old one.

>>52945209
Yeah, in a dungeon I wouldn't say leomund's tiny hut is the best idea. In that case you have to trap everybody inside the dungeon with no way out or a reason they don't want to go out, like enemies putting down traps and being prepared and such. That way you allow players to choose to rest at a cost. But then from then on they might as well rest every time after the dungeon is prepared unless they can somehow get more prepared.
>>
>>52945571
Elven accuracy is great, especially on anyone who gets advantage easy or who benefits from crits. So, especially a barbarian of all people.
Monks get easy advantage only at the very high levels or through stuns, but to be honest monks should be stunning all the time anyway. Also, open hand monks can prone enemies.

However, to get elven accuracy, you have to use a feat, and monks are already incredibly starved for ASIs. I would consider either getting mobile or +dex or +wis instead.
>>
Beholders have a Sleep Ray, if unconscious a player automatically fails Dex saving throws
Petrification ray is a dex save, so if they sleep first its an auto failure. And then they are restrained, so even if an ally wakes them up they'll have disadvantage on the next save

BRUTAL
>>
File: ybd87bnd11_li_20140625_cardart2.jpg (145KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
ybd87bnd11_li_20140625_cardart2.jpg
145KB, 700x450px
I want to try out an Elf after that last UA, they got some cool stuff.

I'm thinking about a Wood Elf Champion with Shield Mastery to try and crit fish, a Wood Elf Cleric of some kind or a High Elf Soul Knife for using BB with their knife.

Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>52945968
>tfw my last character died by getting sent up 30 feet with telekinesis, then getting paralysed and autofailing petrification next turn, then falling 30 feet as a statue
Fucking beholders
>>
>>52946018
Wood Elf Stone Sorcerrer with a Greatsword.
>>
Ok, legit, is there an actual difference between a war hammer and a maul IRL?

If I google is trying to convince me they are the same thing
>>
>>52945968
I remember seeing something on a forum on how to permanently become a Beholder Wizard by something stupid like level 7 through weird official rules in 3.5. Do you think it might still be possible in 5e?
>>
>>52946018
High Elf Soul Knife.

Take Nomadic Step as your first Discipline and basically run in, Booming Blade and if they're still alive teleport out.
>>
>>52946052
Warhammers have a more narrow head, something like an actual hammer you'd use for hitting nails. Except made for war, so a large haft and such.

A maul is a meme where you have what is essentially a sledgehammer.
>>
>>52945899
>tfw DM says no to allowing Elven Accuracy
>>
>>52946018
Try a rogue of some sort. They get double sneak damage on a crit, after all, and the +Dex suits them.

If you use booming blade or green flame blade, you only get one chance to hit instead of two, so having elven accuracy is great on them because that one hit matters more than anything. You just need to gain advantage from somewhere - An arcane trickster can easily use the 'help' action through a familiar, hide, etc.

Or barbarian.

Or, barbarian-rogue, which gives you reckless attack for when you feel like it and great grappling capability so you can shove someone prone then attack them for advantage.
>>
>>52946200
They're honestly quite sensible, then.
>>
>>52946218
Possibly. I'd probably disallow it in my games too because of the outrageous crit rate you can stack up.

But they are a truly awful DM and consistently throws impossible encounters against us to "teach us a lesson" after one person once asked if they could be marginally more challenging, so it's always annoying when she doesn't let us play with the higher power toys.
>>
>>52942646
Medium-sized creatures which are six feet tall still only inhabit their 5x5x5 square.
>>
>>52944336
>a reason to not play a caster
What if I have too much self-respect and integrity
>>
>>52946052
Maul:warhammer::greataxe:battleaxe will do you for most fantasy games.
>>
>>52945615
>implements destroyable enviroment rules
>implying I wouldn't start using readied actions or even just reactions
Turns are an approximation for real time.
>>
If I download the PHB + DM guide + all of UA am I complete?

Besides the Monster Manual
>>
If a player character picks up another character, (both parties are willing), does it count as grappling?

Can player A move at full speed while holding player B, who then drops down, picks up player A, and moves at full speed, to effectively double the movement of both players?

For reference, I let half elf player A move at full speed while holding the gnome Player B, but didn't allow Player B to pick up player A. I'm starting to think I should have just let both players move at half speed.
>>
>>52946948
Add weight of A (+his equipment weight) to other character, then apply movement penalties when necessary.

>grappling
At most a strength check to see if he holds it.

Otherwise just add weight and apply movement penalties when encumbered.
>>
File: errwe34.png (2KB, 39x46px) Image search: [Google]
errwe34.png
2KB, 39x46px
I know this is from 4E but what does it mean by 10/20 for range?
>>
>>52946948
Held character retains all their movement
Carrying character uses an Action to pick them up and move them; Movement is halved IF they carried character is too weighty for them

I wouldn't worry about calculating character+inventory weight vs. carrying capacity, but
>obviously the dwarven fighter could pick up the gnome wizard and move him no problem
>yeah i'm not sure this elven wizard could pick up the human fighter in full plate and haul him at full speed
>>
>>52946948
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm
>>
>>52947005
Normal/Extreme range

In 5e you have disadvantage at any range over normal and you just can't engage past extreme range. I think? I just play melee lol.
>>
>>52947005
The first number is your effective range. You can hit anything up to this range no problem (unless you're shooting something in melee range, which gives you disadvantage).
The second number is your maximum range. You can attack anything between your effective and max range, but do so at disadvantage.
You can't hit anything beyond your maximum range.
>>
>>52947005
Range increment and max range I'd assume. Ex. 30/90. Under or equal 30 ft., no penalties, above 30 but below or equal to you get penalty, and from 61 to 90, bigger penalties. Can't reach further than that.

IIRC in 5e it is just "under this range you won't get disadvantage, and it can reach this far"
>>
>>52946943
If you are onluy going to play or DMing one-shots for friends with the PHB alone you are good to go. If you want more guidance to be a DM you will need DMG and MM. Then Adventures of the Sword Coast, VGtM and even TotYP are really helpful for DMs.Elemetal Evil, Rise of Tiamat, CoS and SKT are all cool campaings. UA are totally optional and some of them are unbalanced (they are playtest material)
>>
>>52947087
By the way, not him, but about UA.

I am running a custom adventure, and can someone give me headsup on what character options are unbalanced in UA. I am gonna read what players toss at me, but I'd like to have some second opinions.
>>
>>52947121
A lot. You're better off getting a list of what isn't wonky. Revised ranger is at least a must.
>>
>>52947121
Most classes are fine, beware multiclassing unless you've checked here or read through carefully.

Disallow or rework Lore Master Wizard, it's way too much.

Disallow Revenants.
>>
>>52947121
Mystic is alright, but some have isues with Nomadic Mind. I don't because they are already really MAD enough to not get any significan bonus, but YMMV.
>>
>>52947121
Twilight druid is busted. Theurge is questionable. Bunch of stuff is technically okay but possibly underpowered, like grave cleric.
>>
>>52947179
What is OP about Lore Master?
>>52947192
Is Mystic really alright? I have read the class advancement and abilities and it seems pretty OP for me
>>52947178
I dont understand. Revised Ranger is too OP or the normal Ranger is too weak?
>>
>>52947274
Mystic is busted. Don't allow it in its current form. Wait for WotC to overcorrect and release a husk of what it was (probably champion fighter level)
>>
>>52947274
Lore Master is the best parts of wizard and sorc mashed together, obsoleting sorc at the very least
Mystic is very wonky, OP in some areas, really weak in others
normal ranger is shit, revised ranger is (probably) the final rework of it and it's decent
>>
>>52947316
Lore Master also gets the best bard feature at level 14.
>>
Which class is best for someone that has access to little to no gear?
>>
>>52947274
>What is OP about Lore Master?

At level 2 you can change all of your damage types to the best type for the occasion, neutering any need for spell type variety, and you can make a spell saving throw whatever you like, which is almost as good as Portent (i.e. the sole advantage of Diviner).

Then you can improve all spells at 6th level by range, damage, and DC.

Then at level 10 you render spell preparation irrelevant.

Then at 14th you essentially know any spell.

It's just too much - one of those things by itself might be fine, but all of them is ridiculous.
>>
>>52947491
Monk? Sorcerer?
>>
When wizards says an ability does 2+ your level divided by 4, do they mean your actual class level divided by four or the total from 2+level is divided?

Playing a storm herald and I'm not sure which way they mean.
>>
>>52947491
Monk hands down. I once had a Monk in my party that didnt have shit except for clothes and he was pretty strong anyway.
Actually he was pretty OP i guess, he was a tabaxi and in a Red Dragon encounter he just run everywhere punching the dragon and even made him blind
>>
>>52947624
Monks are OP?
>>
>>52947641
They can be in specific situations with a good group to back them up

That's how most OP things are, you really end up relying a lot on your group to play enabler. The best times are when everyone in your group supports each other and you all become OP so your DM lets you fight fun stuff.
>>
>>52947641
He was pretty strong. Like he punch the shit out of everyone. We finish with him at lvl 12 or 13.
>>
>>52947274
The discipline advancement is usually overlooked. They have way too much trouble getting to actually use them later an at the end, you have basically no scaling.
Tell me what do you think is broken.
>>
>>52935905
>>52935934
You add your Str bonus to damage with melee weapon attacks, right? That's pretty significant if it's vulnerable to fire.
>>52936121
It's just narrowing some of the gap between low level damage spells and their better CC options. Raw magic missile is still a poor use for your time.
>>52936291
I really appreciate how much of this "bad" list is not simply aubjective opinion, but objectively wrong. It really invites (you)s.

>>52936394
Have you looked at how 4e did it? Too many feats, but it had potential.
>>
>>52947774
I pretty heavily prefer 4e to this desu, it's just that more people play this than 5e
>>
>>52947774
>>52947791
Speaking of, for paragon tier, could you instead take a heroic tier feat in place of it?
>>
>>52947879
Yep, you can always substitute a lower level equivalent for whatever your taking.

You could literally take a heroic daily instead of an epic one if that tickled your fancy. Same goes for feats, encounters, and at will abilities.
>>
>>52947905
Oh sweet, thanks heaps bro.
>>
How do fights vs a single PC class usually go, I don't want to guarantee my party dies but I do want a tough fight that actually worries them.

I'm building an encounter for 4 level 10 characters (Rogue, Barbarian, Cleric, Druid). They're going to have to fight the top assassins from a this group, and they're all going to be different rogue archetypes. The battlefield will be a low light to dark underground catacombs filled with graves and tombs.

Is the party fucked?
>>
>>52947968
Monsters are pretty much "balanced" based off of their HP. It's kinda bloated in this edition, because players deal a lot of damage. Keep that in mind, and look at the differences between PC and NPC damage when creating the NPC's.

They could be screwed.
>>
>>52947968
be careful because PCs are usually glass canons, even the tankier ones. so putting npcs with class levels against them is risky
>>
>>52947087
Thanks
>>
>>52947931
Yee, I would give you a link to a google drive containing literally every book and dragon magazine that has anything even remotely related to 4e, but I deleted it because I wasn't really using it. Sorry

>>52947968
Depends how well your PC's are built, how well they think on their feet, and how well they roll.

Mainly on the second thing. Provided you aren't giving your assassins meta knowledge a well rounded group like that shouldn't have too much trouble so long as the Barbarian do the standard Barbarian crush kill destroy swag.

Just try to goad them into stocking up/resting up first before they go into it and fudge your rolls down a bit if the assassins seem to want to roll nat twenties for every single attack.

Also, and I hope this is obvious, if you have the rouges pull some ninja level ambush on your party then you are 100% going to wipe them. No questions asked.
>>
>>52948045
>in this edition
>>
>>52948127
All good, bro, you've been more than helpful. Now to convince this group of friends to give 5e a try.
>>
>>52948218
Have fun switching over to 5e then, I know I didn't
>>
>>52947791
You aren't alone. This edition was a step backwards in many respects.
>>
>>52948242
>>52948247
I was a player back then who suffered 3.5/PF, then played without problem nor joy on 4e and I have taken a liking to 5e.

I DM too, now.
>>
How would you fellas go about having your players quest for the holy grail? Not Monty Python-style, but a bit more serious like Warhammer Bretonnia-style?
>>
>>52948381
Do they want the grail or does somebody who wants to find the grail need bodyguards?
>>
>>52948381
That depends on what my goals for the campaign were. Simulationist vs. Narrativist gaming. Decide that, and then you can figure the rest of the campaign out.
>>
>>52948381
Have it guarded by a bunch of inbred hicks from years of protecting it. Also a Dragon.

There should be an old guy who they have to guard on the way to the grail as well. He's the guy who knows the runes and traps.

Other then that they'll have to travel a lot to find info but should have options for where they go looking.
>>
>>52948242
How's that?
>>
>>52948381
Dragon Age Origins, Ashes of Andraste.
>>
>>52948445
This. Even if you don't like the game, that particular plot arc is pretty bloody good.
>>
>>52947121
Don't allow several things:

>Several new subclasses are not balanced for multiclassing: Hexblade Warlocks (Cha for weapon attacks at lvl 1), Undying light Warlocks (+Cha mod on radiant and fire damage at lvl 1), Shadow Sorcerrer (To avoid the unkillable meme builds), Beast Conclave Revised Ranger (The beast is practically a Fighter PC that scales with Character level), Psionics.

>Several Subclasses are just dogshit unbalanced as a whole (All the Wizard archetypes, the wole Paladin UA, Whispers Bard).

>And some are just plain badly worded so their features are practically useless (Monk Archetypes).

What i'd allow for Multiclassing and general play:
>Seeker patron Warlock
>Revised Ranger Hunters conclave
>Revised Ranger Monster slayer
>Oath of Redemption Paladin
>Stone Sorcerrer
>Sea Sorcerrer
>Favoured Soul Sorcerrer
>Monster Slayer Fighter
>Artificer
>All the UA Druids if you rule that Twilight druid needs spells that require a saving throw or attack roll.
>Forge, Grave and Protection Domain Cleric
>Glamour Bard
>Ancestral Guardian, Storm and Zealot Barbarian

Avoid UA races or at least limit their flight abilities.

Feats UA, Starter spells UA, Racial Feats UA and Skill Feats UA are fit for the game table and allow for nice fun.
>>
>>52948463
>Beast Conclave Revised Ranger
Is it that good? I though hunter and monster slayer were better?
>>
>>52948491
Hunter and Monster slayer are better by being reliable with their features but Beast Conclave is an outright 3 level dip to grab another Fighter PC under your control.
>>
>>52948463
>>52948491
They work until you allow multiclassing, that's when it breaks. A Mystic Wu-Jen/Wizard is a force of nature.
>>
>>52948566
>>52948534
Well yeah, that's why it pretty much says multiclassing UA is a bad idea. I'm just talking about the archetype by itself
>>
>>52948437
Do the players also have to part of an organization that makes you drink tainted blood and you die in ~30 years or so?
>>
>>52948689
Of course. It explains why all campaigns die off before level 10.
>>
>>52945432
i still think lunarians should be large, spellcasting should be a list by level and with slot count, check something like the lich for reference.
>>
>>52948566
tell me more about this wizard/wu-jen...
>>
>>52948617
>>52948566
>>52948491
I generally only allow only the Hunter Conclave Ranger from the Ranger Revised UA.
Deep stalker and Beastmaster are broken for Multiclass.

But considering Ranger having the same stat dependancy as Monk i can hardly say that the Hunter conclave and Monster slayer are bad for multiclassing let alon the Primal Guardian and Planeswalker Ranger.

The only thing i dislike in the Ranger UA is the range of Primeval Awareness being busted with its Radar ability and the whole Animal thing that should have been just a simple Animal Handling proficiency.
The new Favoured enemy allthough being availible early at lvl 1 and having broad categories it covers is still balanced because players won't be always fighting the same type of creature all the time.
And remember Ranger is a Half-caster who get's hit pretty hard when they delay their spells.
>>
>>52948443
Oh, here we go...

Unpopular opinion time, boyz!

In my opinion 4e had
>Better races
>Better classes
>Better feats
>Better backgrounds
>Better character options
>Better combat
>Better lore
>Better fluff
>Better religion
>Better content expansions
>Better rules
>Better balancing
>Better equipment
>More professionalism

Meanwhile, the trade we have in going over to 5e
>Better magic
>Better magical items
>Better multiclassing

I just don't think this was a fair trade.

Mind you, I'm not just a salty faggot. I'm genuinely hopeful that many of my gripes with the current edition will be resolved as they continue to release more content. That being said, I'm also incredibly disappointing by most of the content expansions released to date as well as the rate at which they are being released when considering their "quality".

By the way, I'm sure that a lot of the things that I mentioned were better in 4e were probably done better in editions before 4e. For example I'm pretty sure that when it came out 4e was weak on lore and fluff compared to other editions. However, as I've only done 4e and 5e in regards to D&D I can't really say anything about any of the other editions.
>>
If I multi-classed a monk into mystic, and took Mastery of Force would unarmored defense and telekinetic armor stack?
*Would my AC be 14+WIS+DEX
>>
>>52948835
NO.
AC calculations override each other.
>>
>>52948815
Pretty accurate.

I do feel that 5e has the better class framework than 4e, but in general the things filling that framework are worse compared to what were in 4e's framework.
>>
>>52948835
Both of those change your AC formula. So you can only choose one. You can't combine AC formula.

You can only stack AC if it's a plain "bonus to AC" like bladesinger.
>>
>>52948767
Is wisdom even that important for a revised ranger? Outside of a few spells, and the capstone, what does wisdom do?
>>
>>52948872
>>52948937
Thank you. I'll have to look elsewhere for my Jedi tier bullshit.
>>
>>52948964
To be fair, there is nothing stopping you from fluffing shit like that

Talk to your GM about fluff and they'll probably indulge you if it makes sense with the way your character is constructed. Just try not to be OP
>>
File: 1456958920439.jpg (115KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456958920439.jpg
115KB, 413x395px
>>52948721
>>
>>52948964
What?
No, Pick Mastery of Force, Mastery of Wood and Earth and Bestial Form for +3 AC at level 1.

You can't do it THAT way, but you can do it.
>>
>>52948957
If you're a ranger who can't see shit, what good are you?
>>
>>52948957
Wis is mostly important to the Ranger spells that require attack rolls or saves.
Not terribly important since most people just ignore the fact that Ranger has spellcasting anyway.
>>
>>52949058
I don't think I've ever seen a ranger cast anything other than Cure Wounds so far in my experience playing 5e.
>>
>>52949119
Cause Cure wounds is better than any ''Arrow'' spell they might use for attacks.

Last time i played a Ranger i only stuck with Ensnaring strike and Cure wounds.
Everything else was highly situational.

Ranger isn't like Paladin that can nova the shit out of everything with Smites.
>>
>>52949119
Really? Ensnaring Strike is a first level spell and actually really good against anyone with low Strength.

The higher spells aren't great but there's some (Lightning Arrow) that are pretty fucking good.
>>
>>52949055
Seeing is for the cleric and druid that have +5 wisdom and observent
>>
>>52948957
I expect you to have a decent survival, at least.
>>
New thread when?
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.