[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 35

File: oie_oloD7NXKbdE7.jpg (239KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
oie_oloD7NXKbdE7.jpg
239KB, 600x397px
Last thread
>>52855803

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Money Edition

How much do you spend on boardgames and other components? Are you a compulsive buyer or do you rely more on discounts and used games? Do you buy boardgames or just go to game nights?
>>
If you link your new thread people will migrate better next time OP
>>
>>52929858
>How much do you spend on boardgames and other components?
I'm just staring out in the hobby so I've been trying to budget myself to about $60 every paycheck on games (most of that has been going to x-wing recently).

>Are you a compulsive buyer or do you rely more on discounts and used games?
Sometimes I'll buy on a whim but usually I try to vet each game I'm interested in thoroughly. Discounts are always great and normally I'd prefer to not buy used games just from my autism of wanting the game to be not damaged at all, but I'm slowly curbing that mentality.

>Do you buy boardgames or just go to game nights?
I mainly buy them because the nearest game store to me is an hour away and there aren't any gaming groups that I've found either living in the Southern US is torture
>>
Starting with the hobby, ive bought zombicide and eldritch horror and splitbuy imperial 2030 with some friends. Im spending around $80 per game.

If i really want the game i just buy it, if its on sale even better! But if i dont want it that much i just wait for a sale. Im don't think i'll ever buy an used game, im really austistic about the preservation of the games.

I buy them and i have some friends that also buy them , we have monthly encounters that we play board games.
>>
>>52932108
Do you really want that shitstorm to bleed over to this thread?
>>
>>52934341
I just ignore them these days; seems like every 3rd thread we get a rash of shitposting. It's not like when we had the constant fights between shitposters and tripfags that went on for 1/2 of every thread; or back when you'd have to make a new general daily because posting died out at 11pm and no one had anything interesting to talk about.

Back on topic, I must be the cheapest guy in /bgg/; I spend like $300-400 a year on gaming and 60% of that is convention tickets/gas/room & board. Got like 7-10 new games last year and maybe spent $60 on em.
>>
File: My Collection 2017-01-13.png (2MB, 1263x1533px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-01-13.png
2MB, 1263x1533px
>>52934341
They're trolls. Do you really think they don't know how /4chan/ boards work?

>>52929858
>How much do you spend on board games and other components?

Looking at my CSI order history - the answer is 'too much'. ;) I do like painting miniatures but don't buy games just because they have minis. (I have way to damn many unpainted minis as it is...) I occasionally buy upgrade components, coins, etc - but not on every single game I own that has those options. I also tend to laminate or sleeve game components where reasonable, and I do like making 'gaming aids' to help new players learn rules more easily.

> Are you a compulsive buyer or do you rely more on discounts and used games?

I definitely look for discount options - particularly after FFG / ANA's "Games are a luxury, all you fan-bois should suck our dick financially in order to play them, and be happy to do so!" bullshit.

> Do you buy board games or just go to game nights?

I've got a decent sized collection, pic related, and would like to add so more.
>>
>>52934579
>I must be the cheapest guy in /bgg/; I spend like $300-400 a year on gaming and 60% of that is convention tickets/gas/room & board. Got like 7-10 new games last year and maybe spent $60 on em.

That's just called being patient and thrifty - not cheap. Now if all 10 of those games were copies of Munchkin or Exploding Kittens, I might have to call you out on it. ;)
>>
>>52934752
Nope, most were b-day/xmas presents. I only bought a couple games at Gencon, and then ordered 2 off amazon.fr while family was overseas because Iello does much better work than EGG and fuck our stupid licensing laws.
>>
>>52929858
I only buy from extreme discount to extreme discount and only for prices that put the games below or at resale value. Also I request them for birthdays, X-Mas and such.
It's actually surprising how many games you can end up with this way. You have to watch for sales like a hawk, but it's doable.
>>
>>52934872
>It's actually surprising how many games you can end up with this way
Amen, in the first 3-4 years back into the hobby I got 20 or so games and spent less than $200 on em just by grabbing what I could during major sales, at cons in bundles, and via math trade.
>>
>>52934579
>I must be the cheapest guy in /bgg/; I spend like $300-400 a year on gaming

Good for you! I'm a student, so I don't have much disposable income, so I've been trying out more PnP games lately.
>>
>>52934954
I had more disposable income as a student than I do now; God I miss being paid to drink. Good on you for the pnp stuff, it's a good way to help expand the hobby, and leads into all that other stuff like painting minis, making inserts, building boards or other components. Lotsa good ways to up your gaming without spending a bunch, or at least using what's easily pilfered from work/school for it.
>>
I try to keep my nerd shit hobbies on a budget. Video games, tabletop products, and board game purchases combined really shouldn't tip over 50-60 bucks a month at most. Gift money is exempt from this, so I just bought like $250 dollars of board game at the start of this year.

It really depends on the product. If I am really into the game and I want it soon, I'm perfectly happy spending MSRP on it. For stuff I want eventually like expansions, I might wait on the a while to see if a sale pops up. I will wait between print runs though and can't see myself paying scalper prices for stuff when supplies get scarce.

I happen to know a lot of friends that are more into board games then me. For a while I was one of those people that would happily come to a board game night and play games, but couldn't see myself buying one. Anything I was interested in was already owned by a friend. However, I've discovered two player games to play with the grill friend outside of our friend group's board game nights, and I'm happy to spend money on that.
>>
>>52935033
Getting paid to drink? That sounds pretty sweet.

BGG has regular PnP contests and there are some gems in there, especially in solo games department, because my group rarely meets up.
>>
>>52935161
>That sounds pretty sweet.
I went to a Big 10 university known for drinking; roommate was the #3 (seniority) bartender at the busiest place in town. The management is known to use the place to help clean their other business ventures, so they didn't care about comped stuff as much. On slow mid-week nights we'd get called in by managers, or the other bartenders asking us to come in. They'd cover our tab because they knew we'd bring enough to make money. I don't think I paid for dinner/beer on a Wednesday for the entire summer before my senior year. Best part was other people would give us cash to "help for the drinks you covered" so you'd walk out with money every time.

With you on BGG for the PnP selection; also I highly suggest going through the geek weekly news thing they put out. There's always cool threads/images that lead to fun projects. The guy who made his own molds and then cars for Thunder Alley was pretty sweet and almost had me wanting to do it, even without owning the game.
>>
>>52934579
What games were they?
>>
>>52936770
That I got last year?
>Diamant, For Sale, Rhino Hero, Coconuts, X-Wing (both cores, and a few expansions) Survive, couple trash game freebies at a con
Needed to get more casual stuff since I lost half my local group. Got Coconuts for like $10-15 off I think at Gencon, and they tossed in an extra bag of tri-colored coconuts as a bonus; Rhino Hero was free since I bought somethin else at HABA for my niece, Diamant/For Sale were french versions off amazon and I got lucky they were both deep discounted (someone dumping stock). Wasn't exactly my best year for acquisitions (Panzer Leader & Panzer Blitz for the brother-in-law for $10, Resistance for $5, or Flash Point big expansion for $8 are prolly tops) but it's not like I paid retail, or got stuff that won't hit the table.
>>
>>52937001
>Panzer Leader/Resistance/Flash Point
I retract that, best deal ever was $2 event ticket to playtest Hanabi in 2012 at Gencon. Afterwards the group running it was giving away freebies, I got Qin (Knizia abstract) which was ok, got a few plays, then math traded it for Elder Sign and a couple plano boxes the owner had used to sort components. Prolly got $50 value outta that $2 ticket.
>>
>>52937068
>Prolly got $50 value outta that $2 ticket.

That's kick-ass.
>>
>spending on boardgames
since I'm in Australia and have to deal with the ass end of shipping, spending an average of $100 per game does not feel like an issue for me

of course, I also have a habit of buying expansions even if I don't use them often because I prefer to have a complete experience available to me

>compulsive buyer or discounts
I'm pretty much compulsive because I tend to buy OOP and low-run indie games more often than not

>buy boardgames or go to game nights
I'm almost always the game provider
>>
Can anyone comment honestly on whether Blood Rage is worth picking up? I want something to play with my folks, and it's also attractive right now because I want miniatures to paint and it's $45 on Amazon (close to $1 per miniature). I know it's popular so the correct contrarian position will be "it sucks", but is this real? I don't want to get it if it's straight up garbage.
>>
>>52938352
its a card drafting game where you place dudes on a map and upgrade what they are capable of. the cards you drafted are heavily used against other players, often in the form of changing the outcome of combats. its one of those slightly higher difficulty than casual but not quite complex games. if high quality minis and an experience you can enjoy with people who are not hardcore gamers are what you are looking for its probably a good bet.

i actually hate blood rage for the record, but for entirely subjective reasons
>>
>>52938546

Thanks anon.

My aim is to have something to paint that I can also play with my sister, brother, and his fiancee (gamers) but that is potentially simple enough to play with my parents (not gamers but intelligent people) without so much esotericism that people get turned off before we can really get into the swing of the game.
>>
>>52938795
then ya id say its probably what you're looking for. if you like the look of the models and like the price id do it. maybe just watch like half of a video of some people playing to make sure you don't hate the actual gameplay. theres also a watch it played if you want someone to explain the whole rulebook to you
>>
File: tabletopday_logo.jpg (48KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
tabletopday_logo.jpg
48KB, 720x405px
Anyone participating in this on Saturday?
>>
>>52937566
It was one of my luckier moments; the play group was me and a family of 4, who'd never been to a con and were run ragged by that Sat morning. They let me have the "MVP prize" I think because the idea of hauling more stuff scared them. I have made it my mission since then to always try and schedule myself for playtests from smaller gamer oriented groups, rather than big publishers; more free stuff.

>>52939077
>Wheaton themed bullshit
Fuck that guy; total douchenozzle.

Seriously though? New store opened in my sleepy farm suburb late December; apparently they're running 15% off, so I might go in and see if they've got anything unusual/OOP. Up til now there's only been 4 stores in the hour radius from downtown; one is a comic store that has games, and one is the most toxic place ever; would be nice to see if the new one 10 min from home has as good of stock as the place 45 minutes away I have to go to get paints.
>>
>>52939077
Yup, going to a store run by some guys I know. Bringing a mix of games from Scythe and Millennium Blades to Sushi Go and Good Cop Bad Cop.
>>
>>52939461
>Good Cop Bad Cop
Enjoy it, was hoping to see the company do more stuff, but each time I read about Overworld Games it's another deduction filler/party game that looks exactly like what they've already done.
>>
>Playing spartacus tonight
>Irascible Irishman player doing nothing but accumulating infinite body slaves
>Other players express doubt at the efficiency of paying ten denarii for a slave that gives back one per round, in a game likely to only go another three rounds.
>Cue noisy, possibly drunken dissertation on the infallibility of GRAB EM BY THE PUSSY economics.
Send help.
>>
>>52941808
STEEV if we could just get you over your fear of co-ops I'd game with you daily; ya know if I was anywhere near the lefter side of the country. Such wonderful battle report stories
except for that TI3 thing, that's never gonna happen
>>
>>52941975
>Idaho
>Lefter side of the country
You what now
Probably going to get first martians when it releases, we'll see if that cures me.
>>
>>52942178
I meant geographically; you're definitely more righter than Michigan politically, well assuming you're not talking about all our gun toting rednecks innawoods.

First Martians does look pretty nice tho; Ignacy hasn't done much I don't love and Robinson Crusoe is just plain mean.
>>
File: 20170427_213241.jpg (984KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170427_213241.jpg
984KB, 2048x1152px
>>52941808
>we're gonna build the best whorehouses in Rome, they're gonna be the best yuge houses. And we are gonna make the Christians pay for it!
>>
>>52942178
Potatoes are symbol of communism.
>>
So I got my copy of Dark Souls: The Boardgame and I immediately set out to play it one player with a few little tweaks to speed it up a little (took me a long time to setup and play I will admit though because I am new to this and I had to keep looking at the manual to understand how it all works. Still not quite so sure actually).

What I did was cut the loot deck in half, leaving in a good spread of useful equipment and items for my character as well as some crappy ones. Then I gave my Knight one starting gift (a ring), which he didnt honestly use much because the guys a goddamn tank with his default equipment. Throughout the whole campaign the knight dodged about three times.
Definitely was smart picking the gargoyle as the first miniboss on your first go. His attack pattern is mostly defensive and his range isnt too threatening. Even with the knight you are always better off dodging his thrust attack since its dodge difficulty is low despite its high damage. Rush in, hit, rush out. Just like in the game.

16 soul pool to start with should be applicable to both single and multiplayer I think. Of course in multiplayer you would have to share it all between yourselves, and ai think that inital starting pool cuts down on the grind a ton. I only used the bonfire twice in my little test playthrough.

Overall strategy with the Knight that worked well for me: Rush to take down the archer, then go back for the undead knights. Archers can actually hit you pretty hard because your starting armour doesnt resist that sort of damage well. Soldiers and even silver knights dont cause much trouble for the Knight character. He can just absorb most of their damage. I didnt even use his special ability once.

I had fun. The figures look really nice and I plan to play another solo game this evening with the same parameters but a different class and a different miniboss.

Good variant idea here: Boss rush mode. Preset equipment. Fight boss. Upgrade. Fight next boss. Upgrade. etc.
>>
>>52942345

Where in Michigan? Grand Rapids here and looking for another player / group since mine tends to be flaky.
>>
>>52937910
Where in australia are you?
>>
>>52929858
I'm wanting to buy Splendor just because of how good it is at being an intro level game but when I do I'm planning on buying little plastic gems so that you're actually buying gems instead of poker chips
>>
>>52945868
Work in Lansing but live in farm country like 30 minutes east of it, and most of my gaming is done further south-east. Been meaning to get up your way for Grandcon one of these years; it's supposed to be pretty solid for a regional. Plus the GGA guys up in Belmont have been awesome every time I've done stuff with them at Gencon.
>>
>>52948350

First time I'm hearing of GGA, which sounds very cool. Probably haven't heard of them because I haven't been to Grandcon yet. I only just moved back to GR from Lansing almost two years ago now and unfortunately missed Grandcon that year, so hoping to go to my first this year.

There's a place called Out of the Box games I go to to purchase games about ten minutes from my house but I have yet to go for a game night. For some reason gaming with strangers irks me but I should just get over whatever social anxiety I have and try it out one of these days.

Also, I assume you live near Howell/Brighton. I used to LARP there.
>>
File: Nixon's head - Futurama.png (57KB, 276x288px) Image search: [Google]
Nixon's head - Futurama.png
57KB, 276x288px
>>52943360
You mean Idaho is full of communes and smelly hippies? The horror! THE HORROR!
>>
Can someone who has played cry havoc tell me about it? Is it really as bad as people say it is?
>>
Anyone ever play the Warhammer adventure card game? Amazon has it for $19.99, is it worth snagging at that price?
>>
>>52948707
Yeah Grandcon is supposed to be one of the better regional cons in the country; I tend to do WYC more, but only because it's free and I have friends who let me crash on a couch in Indy. The GGA guys do pretty much every midwest con and do a great job teaching games, plus they're the ones who hooked me up with >>52937068

And no I'm not quite that far east, I'm in Williamston, which just got a game store. Hopefully it's better than driving to Holt for AFK games, or braving the dungeon that is The Fortress in East Lansing. Last time I was there I waited 20 minutes to buy paint because they only had one staff member who was too busy talking MtG to do his job. Worse the place does paper receipt credit cards, and he doesn't even have a register, guy figured the tax out on a TI-83 calculator, their computer up front is apparently only for looking up buy-back prices on CCGs. Most of my gaming is down near Brighton/Pinckney/Chelsea area tho; either that or Indy when I'm down every other month. That's a city with a good gaming scene I wish was closer
>>
Is anyone able to tell me what the similarities and differences are between roll for the galaxy and race for the galaxy? Aside from using dice or cards, obviously, are they the same game?
>>
File: 1493171867869.jpg (1MB, 2268x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1493171867869.jpg
1MB, 2268x3024px
Why are all Lovecraftian games so bad?
>>
>>52952422
Why waste time making a game good when you know that it'll sell from the theme alone? That way you can spend more of your time designing other good games or more trash that'll sell just because of the theme
>>
>>52952422
A good many of them are bad because it's an open copyright so the theme is easy to paste onto anything (helps it's popular). Some are meh because the theme allows you to put more random elements into the game which can remove your meaningful decisions. It's like asking why there's so many bad generic fantasy games. If you're into dice placement you might look at Kingsport Festival, it's basically AF/Kingsburg with the theme swapped.
>>
>>52952239

The Fortress in Lansing is absolute shit. If you're that way and don't mind going a bit further west Evolution Games has a small board game selection but are pretty friendly and can order anything. There used to be a place called 21st Century Comics and Games which was very good but unfortunately closed down.

Either way I'm lucky that I do live where I do since Lansing really wasn't too active. Detroit is also great with places like Pandemonium, for what it's worth.
>>
>>52952630
Yeah Evolution isn't bad, and The Summit (formerly Clem's) is not awful (although I've had nothing but indifferent service) but AFK is good selection and the owner is really nice. Problem is it's outta the way for me since I'm almost never on the south end of town; and half the time they're too busy playing games or cleaning the shop to actually check you out at the counter. And yeah Lansing area is dead; I checked out the meetup group that started forming at The Avenue and it was just hipster trash bringing TtR/CAH/Munchkin; the LBG group that runs a con in Okemos is the far other end of the spectrum, 40+yr old grognards. I ended up saying fuck it and converting family/friends, easier to make gamers out of people I already know are decent than deal with unknown quantities.

Now if only I could get a decent Pathfinder group without driving an hour or more.
>>
>>52952038
This review does a solid job of listing the pros and cons so you can decide for yourself if the game is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE
>>
>>52952422
Why are all shit-posters incapable of actually contributing something useful to a thread?
>>
>>52953209
I mean, they got at least a little discussion going, unlike your post
>>
>>52954474
Its better to have no discussion than a flamewar. Saying things like >>52952422 is just a way to start flamewars and shitposting for something thats just personal taste.
>>
>>52954474
It would be more accurate to say a discussion occurred in spite of, rather than because of their post. Any of the below questions would have been far more constructive:

Are there any CoC / Lovecraft based games that stand out as having good or excellent rules / mechanics?

How would you rate CoC game X in terms of setup time and rules complexity vs enjoyment?

Hell, even "What is the most popular CoC / Lovecraft based game? And why is it popular?" would have provide more discussion fuel than Shit-Poster-kun managed to do...
>>
>>52939077
Local church hall is having two events; one in the afternoon for families, and one in the evening for grown-ups.

I assume that means it will involve games like ONUW and Shadow Hunters, as opposed to a mass orgy.
>>
>>52953159
Fucker hasn't posted a new review since January.
>>
>>52956205
What? You mean he has a life and obligations besides just making game review videos, and he isn't required to slave away selflessly on our behalf? It's almost as if he isn't our personal servant...
>>
>>52956340
He used to put one out every month, and it's really just ranting in front of a camera with maybe a couple pictured edited in here and there.
>>
>>52956400
Hopefully he's working on a different camera angle, up-nose isn't a great look. Either that or there's no game out that everyone likes that he feels the need to find a flaw in and rant about.
>>
>>52939077
My group has a 70 person space reserved. I'm expecting less than a dozen. A blizzard tonight isn't going to help.
>>
>>52956400
True, but if it's going to be worth watching, then it has to be an intelligent rant with some substance to it. And that isn't exactly an 'off the cuff with no preparation' kind of thing unless you're extremely good at it. I'm guessing he's probably just busy. That said, he's only got 15 videos on his youtube channel.
>>
Does anyone on BGG actually trade games? I got Yashima and it sucks gigantic dick. I've offered twice to trade it to people who JUST LISTED wanting it but both have timed out instead of getting a response.
>>
Eight player Memoir 44 Overlord, Y/N?
>>
>>52956808
>LISTED wanting it
Tons of people on BGG have a list like hundreds of games long, and some (including me) log on once in a blue moon.
>>
>>52956808
Trades can be tricky on BGG; your best bet is a math trade (no-ship is even better if you can work being at a con or a location) but if you go singles expect to try 5-10 times before you get a win. Most people are willing to trade, but they want the better deal, or at least a very good deal. Also whatever you do avoid boardgameco, just trust me on that one.

>>52956863
This too
>>
>>52956844
Worth trying, but not for everyone.
>>
How fun is elder sign? Im looking for a game that is small enough so i can carry around and its not troublesome
>>
>>52957970
It's not small enough to travel with, there's loads of tokens and the cards are full sized tarot so it's got table sprawl. The app also beats the snot outta the physical copy, it automates all the upkeep and the music/effects add thematic flavor; only problem with it is you don't get to physically roll the dice.
>>
>>52958121
Good to know! Any suggestions?
>>
>>52957970
Some small box games I have that I lug around everywhere are:
Cockroach Poker
Arboretum
Archaeology the New Expedition
Epic
Cthulhu Realms
>>
>>52958397
Depends what you're looking for I guess. For Sale is pretty portable (although the box is larger than needed), solid gateway/auction game. If you're gonna ditch the box Splendor is also really small. The Duke/Jarl can be played on a sheet of paper, or with a piece of chalk marking up whatever surface you're using and just the two bags of pieces. Codenames, and Resistance are both pretty portable deduction/team games. The Kosmos 2p line has a lot of options that aren't table hogs. Star/Hero Realms are just a deck of cards; "micro games" Tides of Time/Madness, Love Letter/Lost Legacy, stuff like that. Hanabi is very portable, and a solid co-op; it'll get easy over time as you get used to playing with the same people though. Rhino Hero is the most portable dexterity game I can think of, and good drinking fun at the bar. While you're there ask the waitstaff for extra coasters and a set of crayons for kids, make your own copy of Skull.
>>
>>52952422
Because the source material doesn't translate well to boardgames. So instead of a Lovecraftian experiance, we get evil space tentacles that go bump in the night.

>>52955714
>and one in the evening for grown-ups
Strip Cataan?

>>52956844
No. First, let me get this out of the way.I am a hardcore wargamer. I play ASL. It is complicated as fuck.

8 player overlord is a bunch of complicated shit tacked on to a game whose one-and-only mechanical strength is it's simplicity. It's self defeating.

If you want a fun little war-themed game, play '44, and have fun. If you want a wargame, play a real wargame, don't try to force a game to be something it isn't.
>>
File: IMG_9123.jpg (433KB, 1920x1193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9123.jpg
433KB, 1920x1193px
ANkn with the 3D printed pieces for Diplomacy here. I was going to paint them last weekend but living in Mississippi means that it rains way too often. The weather should be clear tomorrow so I spent today organizing all of the pieces so that it should be quick and simple to paint them tomorrow. I have plenty of spares that I'll use to test the paints on but fingers crossed it works
>>
>>52958992
Of course I meant anon and not ANkn, I don't know how my phone autocorrected to that
>>
>>52955164
>tfw just wrapped up a game of Arkham Horror yesterday
>tfw that was the third day we'd left it set up

TBF it's a boardgame version of an RPG loosely based on the pastiches of Lovecraft's setting cobbled together by his peers after he was dead, so I don't think he can fully be blamed for it
>>
>>52958992
Cool! (And yeah, it always fookin' rains or is too damn humid here in Ohio when I want to paint or prime minis.) Just tape them down to an old pizza box or piece of card board so they don't slide around and stick to each other / fall over while being sprayed and you should be good to go. Make a few lighter passes from 10 to 12 inches away. Don't try to heavy coat them up close or you'll likely have issues with the paint being too thick / pooling on the minis and obscuring detail, etc.

Looking forward to seeing the results
>>
Do you guys like Fairytale? I dont currently own any drafting games so I think it looks like a good one to introduce to the group.
>>
>>52952331
Roll is the simpler, dumber game but with much more tactile fun.
>>
>>52958742
>So instead of a Lovecraftian experiance, we get evil space tentacles that go bump in the night.
Anon, "evil space tentacles that go bump in the night" literally _is_ the Lovecraftian experience.
>>
I just bought Marvel Legendary and Dark City expansion. If anyone has any question let me know. Ill be penny sleeving the entire game tomorrow so you most likely will get your answer tomorrow. I have played about 10 games now.

2 Solo, 2 playing solo with 2 hands, and 6 playing with another person.

So far one of the best investments I have made but I knew I liked deck building games like Ascension before I ever bought it and I had tried it once before at a store.

Jet.com is running a sale for new accounts which is the cheapest the base set has been in literal years. This goes for any board game they sell though sadly they dont sell dark city which is a massive improvement to the base game.
>>
>>52960538
Explain Pickman's Model.
>>
>>52961855
It's a story about monsters that go bump in the night.
>>
I'm actually making my own RPG/Board Game based on a Pathfinder campaign I've created, for play on Tabletop Simulator. I'm using MSE to make the cards, though, since I don't know how to make cards otherwise.
>>
>>52962315
Oh yeah? Well I'm making my super duper heavy mech co-op 4vs4 4x megadungeon that's totally not based on transformers meets GI Joe and also? I'm totally not jealous of you.. And your group you're totally not playing this with, ever.
Hmph. I guess you got told, didn't you!! I'm involving an image to this now to escalate things.
>>
File: 1gjc7j[1].jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1gjc7j[1].jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>>52962426

B-but it's so fun making it...
>>
>>52958992
Oh yeah, I remember you.

Considering how many spare pieces you have, I hope you'll use some of them for your own game, because it's just such a waste to leave all those pieces unused.

Creating stuff is a nice part of the hobby too. Bonus point if you do it PnP. I would gladly try it out.
>>
>>52962510
Oh I'm not discouraging you at all! I was jk. I hope it rocks. I'm not the biggest fan of pf but I think it has potential to be good because it's fluff and lore is pretty decent. Godspeed, anon chopi!
>>
>>52958397
Love Letter
Mijnlieff
Saboteur
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Pocket OGRE
>>
>>52960538
Yeah, but it's real important that you can't fight back against them unless they're a GOO/human hybrid.
>>
Hi lads! New to board games.

Yesterday I bought Carcassonne and the 1st expansion of the game.

I played a few games with my fiancee and her mother but I don't understand one thing about Meeple placement. In the expansion, you get the big Meeple. Let's make a scenario: I put a normal meeple as a knight in the city, can my opponent put a big meeple (or any other kind of meeple) in the city after he contributed to the construction of the city or there's just one knight/city.
>>
>>52963058
It's been a while since I've used the big meeple but I'm almost positive it functions like two meeples when you compare the amount of meeples assigned to somewhere.

In regards to your example, if you have played a knight in a city then no other player (yourself included) may play any other meeple (big or regular) in that same city. What can happen is if another player starts to build a city that is seperate than yours and puts a knight in there, and then later in the game their city connects with yours, that's fine. Both of you would be co-owners of that city and earn the points together...unless one of you has more meeples in the city, then that person will get all of the points (and this is where the big meeple comes into play)
>>
>>52959957
Thanks for the advice anon! I've got all the tape and spare cardboard I think I'll need.

>>52962529
I hadn't thought of trying to make my own game. I've never been the best at being creative like that but summer is coming so I should have more time to try it out.

The spare pieces in that photo are going to be used as the spares for the game in case sometime in the future pieces get broken or lost. I do have plenty of pieces not pictured that I'll try to do something with. Thanks.
>>
>>52963439
Thanks a lot , anon!
>>
>>52963644
No problem! I love Carcassonne, it's one of my favorites
>>
>>52963679
As my first (real) board game, besides scrabble I love it too. There are so many combinations and it's so much fun. I want to buy more expansions after getting used to Taverns and Cathedrals or whatever it's called the 1st one. Also , I need a bigger table to play on.
>>
>>52963712
Glad to hear buddy, Godspeed
>>
File: pic1872452.jpg (810KB, 2212x2188px) Image search: [Google]
pic1872452.jpg
810KB, 2212x2188px
>>52955164
>>52959083

I've been playing Eldritch Horror a few times the past week. I don't know how people do it, but I can't seem to win it. Maybe it's because they take out all the hard cards, or they get just get lucky.
>>
>>52964527

What gods have you tried ? I know there are tiers of difficulty.

Apparently Abthoth, the elder things, hypnos, ithaqua, nephren ka & yog sothoth are the easiest.

Only played it once though, Azathoth fucked our shit up.
>>
>>52964527
Well it IS a game heavily based on luck so a couple of bad throws can throw even an easy game, I bet. Never played it though.
>>
>>52963502
>I hadn't thought of trying to make my own game. I've never been the best at being creative like that but summer is coming so I should have more time to try it out.

You can always get some creative juices flowing. You don't have to aim for a grand game, even something small will be nice.

Check out BBG's Print adn Play contests. They give you themes and boundaries within you can work, which can help you focus.

Your pieces WW1-esque reminded me of Pocket Landships - neat little microgame created for contest where you make a game with maximum of 9 cards. Maybe you can make something in that era too?
>>
I'm looking for a good co-operative game that isn't Pandemic (I have it and really love it), and not Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert; just a game where it's actually meant for co-operative play.

I tried Dead of Winter, but I think the rules for co-operative play are kinda boring and repetitive, and just not as exciting as the tension of wondering if someone you're playing with is a traitor.

I've also done Eldritch Horror (not interested in Arkham Horror). It took forever to play it and it gets exasperating towards the end of the game, or even at the beginning if you get a shitty starter card, but it's really engrossing.

I've heard good things about Gloomhaven, which is #6 at Board Game Geek and currently available for pre-purchase on Kickstarter for a second printing. I don't know what it's about though, except for it's card-based and $99, and that's a wee bit too pricey for me atm.

I also like to purchase physical copies of my games, especially if the game box has beautiful art.
>>
>>52964754

I'm a humongous fan of Escape : the curse of atlantis, although it's not everybody's cup of tea as it is a real time dice rolling game. You may want to look into it if that sounds appealing to you.

Castle panic is pretty fun, if a little on the simplistic side. The Wizard's Tower expansion adresses all the problems of the base game though and can get pretty brutal.

If you like deck building, you might want to check out Legendary Encounters Alien/Predator/Firefly (depending on your preferences) or Xenoshyft (which I havent played, but looks good)
>>
>>52964912

>curse of atlatnis

Oops, meant curse of the temple.
>>
After about 4 or 5 boardgame meetups, one being today I have come to conclusion that they're not for me and they're boring.

Played Pandemic Iberia today, was alright, the coop thing made it more interesting and we lost the game quite quickly, after that we played the Isle of Skye or something and it was boring as fuck.

There was a Scythe game going on for a while and that Terraforming Mars one which I haven't played, but are they still just 'each turn you take a coin or a card! Count up the points at the end!' because that's shit.

Feel like these boardgames might try to do something different with their themes but it still just feels like playing around with pieces of cardboard. Is there such a thing as an immersive boardgame or is that just an RPG or wargame?

Another thing I noticed is compared to RPGs there's barely any talking or banter, people just sit in silence between turns, maybe the people I play with are boring but from my experience with RPGs you always have a laugh and a chat.
>>
>>52964912
>I'm a humongous fan of Escape : the curse of atlantis,

have you played zombie Escape, and if so how did it hold up compared to the original?
>>
>>52965107

It's alright, but the zombies are a bit unwieldy, feels like one of these "expansion modules" that hardly ever gets used because it's a bit messy, except it's a part of the main game. It's still fun though, I bought it for a friend who loves Escape as much as I do for his birthday (it was on sale too).

Also, the french rulebook is a fucking disaster with vague explanations, and a couple rules missing entirely. Thank you, Qeen games.

Anyway, if you can get it for cheap like I did, you could do worse, but I still recommend you go for the original.
>>
>>52964754
>I'm looking for a good co-operative game that isn't Pandemic (I have it and really love it), and not Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert; just a game where it's actually meant for co-operative play.

I can't speak to Gloom Haven, but Gears of War (if you can find it) is damn skippy good. It plays 1 - 4 players and is pure co-op with the enemy being A.I. driven and fairly challenging. There's also the Level 7 Omega Protocol, but that has a GM vs Players rather than pure co-op. As another Anon mentioned, there's also XenoShyft - that game likes to kick you when you're down. I've got the first boxed set and it's a bitch to win. I haven't tried the 2nd boxed set yet. There's also Zombicide which is fairly simplistic, but still fun. And there's the D&D board games like Wrath of Ashardalon.
>>
Game of Thrones TBG, how good is it?
I really enjoy Rex and Kemet, and I happen to find some guy near me that sells it for like 20$, which is super cheap here.
>>
File: IMG_9134.jpg (481KB, 1920x1439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9134.jpg
481KB, 1920x1439px
>>52964608
Thanks for the advice and support anon, I'll remember you when I make it big ;)

In other news, I tested the paint on a couple of spare tanks and they dried fast and don't look too bad. I'll start painting the actual pieces in a little bit
>>
>>52965996
Go for it, it's definitely worth it for 20$ assuming you got a group of 4-6 people that likes that kind of game.
>>
>>52966075
>and don't look too bad

Printed your glasses with the same machine, did you?
>>
Is Scythe worth a purchase? It seems really nice, but the big price tag is making me a bit wary.
>>
>>52966462
It's red, that's all I care about
>>
>>52966075
Those will be fine for Diplomacy or any other basic board game where you need easily identified units in different colors. Nice.
>>
>>52966469
>Is Scythe worth a purchase? It seems really nice, but the big price tag is making me a bit wary.

Imagine if online game reviews were really a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHPLX4IU9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHS2ZzXiw_Q&t=106s
>>
>>52965077
Wow, you're a real number of a retard.
>>
>>52966469
>Is Scythe worth a purchase?
All I know is that whenever it's discussed online they only ever talk about how nice the arts looks and how to pimp out the components to be more elaborate. That's a bad sign, a really bad sign..
>>
>>52964567
It was Azathoth both times, and yes, he's terrible. The book says he's for new people just starting out, too.

>>52964586
It's not a bad game; good story. Gameplay isn't bad, either.
>>
>>52966075
Seems fine, but is the left tank a bit chipped? I mean, I wouldn't mind as long as it immediately looks like Mark IV tank.
>>
File: DTYB-Game-300x225.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
DTYB-Game-300x225.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
Anybody played Don't Turn Your Back and can someone give me a rundown/impressions?
>>
>>52967088
Never said it's a bad game, I'm a guy who really enjoyed everytime I got to play Arkham Horror with my friends. I actually wanted to purchase Eldritch Horror but considering my current situation, I would never be able to bring it to the table, not even once. I'm currently settling for very light game (started in the business really recently compared to the lot of you) while I'm waiting for my situation to stabilize and finally be able to settle down somewhere.
>>
I feel there's a huge empty space in the market for a proper slasher style game but maybe I am wrong. Like a game where you can all betray one another running away from the killer (the game) but where you can also work together like in L4D for maximum risk/reward.
>>
>>52967111
Yes, a few of the tanks and ships have a few minor defects when they were being printed. I don't really mind since it's a small defect that you can't notice without close observation
>>
>>52966638
I've seen the reviews, but I usually take them with a hefty grain of salt. Especially because so many of them harp on about how awesome the art looks, while not really discussing the longevity of the game. I want an objective call about how the game compares to other 4X-like games. I want a game that I can pull out frequently with friends and have a different experience than the last time I played it with them. And I feel like I would be better served by a more recent review by someone who maybe has had the game for awhile now and can give me an objective call about how the game measures up today, rather than how it was when it just came out.
>>
Odd question - any good board games for kids (like, in the 5-9 range) that involve fantasy elements?
>>
>>52969192
12 Realms, Mice & Mystics, Adventure Land all good
>>
>>52958742
>Strip Cataan?
With Plouton invited, I presume.
>>
>>52967685
I haven't played it - but it isn't much of a 4x-like game. I was skeptical of the hype from the designer when it was advertised as 4x but with no player elimination. (Which means it's not 4x...) From reading the rules, and talking with folks I know who have played it, it seems like more of an engine builder with a bit of combat tacked on. Going combat heavy seems to be a less viable strategy.
>>
>>52960538
>Anon, "evil space tentacles that go bump in the night" literally _is_ the Lovecraftian experience.
No, that's the superficial pop culture experience that has little/nothing to do with the real thing.

>>52962315
Photoshop or InDesign.

>>52965077
Sounds like you aren't a fan of a particular type of game (Eurogames) that a lot of other people (including many in this thread) absolutely adore. Try some ultra-simple wargames like Command & Colors.
>>
>>52970498
>No, that's the superficial pop culture experience that has little/nothing to do with the real thing.
I've read everything Lovecraft ever wrote, retard.

>Sounds like you aren't a fan of a particular type of game (Eurogames) that a lot of other people (including many in this thread) absolutely adore.
No, it sounds like he's a vegetable that can only consume pre-chewed and spoonfed media.
>>
>>52970854
I don't know who pissed in your breakfast this morning, but it wasn't me.
>>
>>52967088

The book's wrong, there's a google page where people report their wins & losses and Azathoth is in the "hard" tier with people apparently losing 52 % of the time to him (and I'm willing to bet people filling the google sheet are people who play the shit out of it so noobs dont stand a chance)
>>
>>52970876
I confess, it was me. But I really had to go.
>>
>>52967685
>I want a game that I can pull out frequently with friends and have a different experience than the last time I played it with them.
Don't buy Scythe.
>>
I've been playing Realm Speak which is a computer version of the 1979 board game Magic Realm, it's a great DnD style board game.

any other fan made versions of deep board games?
>>
>>52971765

The rulebook recommends Azathoth for ease of play, not ease of victory. He's hard as hell to win against but once he's awakened you simply lose, rather than engage in a drawn out final fight against an unbeatable horror.
>>
File: IMG_9141.jpg (530KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9141.jpg
530KB, 1440x1920px
So I finished painting all of the ships and tanks that will be used for the game a few hours ago. I still need to paint the spare units but I'll do that some other time. Didn't take a finished picture but here's everyone except for Italy and England. Some turned out better than others but it's easy to tell what color each piece is, which is all I wanted.

Changing topics, my copy of Ogre Pocket came in the mail today and I'm pretty excited about finding a chance to play that.
>>
>>52974283
You've definitely got an improvement over the stock components; glad it turned out for you. Are you the anon I found Ogre for on the BGG marketplace a couple weeks back?
>>
>>52974283
>Some turned out better than others but it's easy to tell what color each piece is, which is all I wanted.

Yeah, it takes a bit to get an even coat with spray paint if you haven't used it for that before. That said, those will be fine for telling one countries' units apart from another's units.

>Changing topics, my copy of Ogre Pocket came in the mail today and I'm pretty excited about finding a chance to play that.

Are you talking the small $3 micro game version or the newer reprint? I've got the designer's edition which is a lot of fun.
>>
>>52965077

There is a recent low interaction trend in board gaming. Scythe is pretty much the poster child of this trend.

You need to play games with more player interaction. I would recommend older Euros like Tigris and Euphrates or El Grande or more recent hybrid games like Kemet, Cyclades, or Sons of Anarchy.

Don't fall for the engine building meme.
>>
>>52974283
I'm not that person but I saw you telling that anon about the game, which got me interested in trying it out. So, thanks for the indirect recommendation!

>>52974929
>That said, those will be fine for telling one countries' units apart from another's units.
I agree, and that's all I was going for so I'm satisfied with it. If I ever get a 3D printer of my own I may get ambitious and try to redo it better but for now I ok with it

>Are you talking the small $3 micro game version or the newer reprint?
Yeah, it's the micro version. I found it new on BGG for $5 so I'm pumped about that. Sure, it's over MSRP but it's only $5 and still a lot cheaper than anyone else selling it.

>I've got the designer's edition which is a lot of fun.
Can you tell me what you like about it? And how similar is the designer edition to the pocket edition?
>>
File: IMG_0551.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0551.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52929858
Yooooo
>>
>>52929858
Are dungeon crawlers getting too big for their own good?
KD:M doesn't count as a crawler, it's a misery simulator and with that size it could fit it's own genre. But even discounting that, most post-Descent 2e crawlers seem just bloated to hell and back.
>Gloomhaven takes half a decade just to set up.
>Massive Darkness is most aplty named.
>Dark Souls is a repetitive grindfest.
>Conan is so big you can't get it all unless you kickstarted it.
>Shadows of Brimstone drags and drags and drags on.
>Myth is like three different games stapled together with the worst rules book grammar cathastrophe ever. It's only ever slightly playable if you disregard everything but the core set and get an abridged rulebook.

Super Dungeon Explore and Arcadia Quest are ok so long as you ignore all the ridiculous ammount of plastic that keeps coming out, they're also less "crawly" than the rest. SDE is a light skirmish/race game and AQ is a competitive strategy game with monster-shaped loot piñatas. Zombiecide: Black Plague has the fight hordes of monsters deal to a t, but misses the sense of exploration by a mile.

So far the games closest to replicating the "go in and kill shit in a random dungeon" Diablo-like flavor have been Castle Ravenloft and Claustrophobia. With L7: Omega Protocol and SW: Imperial Assault as perfectly fine options if you don't mind trading fantasy for sci-fi. But I'd really like adding another game to my crawlers collection that isn't just a badly streamlined wannabe pnp rpg.

Is there something I'm missing or is the "genre" doomed to keep on gloating till it bursts?
>>
>>52976279
>it's a misery simulator
Good term for AI neutered rpg

As for SDE you're definitely right 1.0 is a race, but 2.0 isn't nearly as bad as it was, and not anywhere near the race that Descent is. AQ is really just a PvP slugfest with loot pinatas to make it interesting. Haven't done Black Plague yet, but I'd never call any Zombicide a crawler; it's more about survival horror, but obviously a lighter rendition.

Ideally you want a crawler that allows you to take your time cutting through hordes, but doesn't punish you for getting to the end of a dungeon/mission/map early. This means you're gonna need mobs that grow with xp gained, and/or a strong ai (something with LOADS of testing like say HotAC for X-wing). No one seems to have figured that out yet, and there's also the problem of if you take too long on any single map the game gets boring (board gamers and rpg players do intersect but it's a harder sale) so most dungeon crawls have some form of timer built in; hence the racing.

My idea was doing something similar to what FFG tried in their WoW board game, where you simulated character growth with upgrade cards for gear/spells; but keep it balanced by limiting upgrade more like how HoN lets you build units with their frame/token system. This lets you upgrade characters, even mid-session (I like the gearing in SDE too, but I'd rather have more than 4 slots) and you could do the same for the mobs, though maybe fewer options. Then the key just becomes keeping the sessions short, which means you'd need something like the quarterly gazettes, pumping out more spells/armor/mobs to slot into frames, along with regularly updating missions (just telling people to go in and kill everyone will run stale after 2-3 sessions).
>>
File: images (8).jpg (12KB, 301x167px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
12KB, 301x167px
Just got finished playing an hour 1 v 1 game of monopoly with the flatmate. She just managed to go to jail every way possible in the rule book in under an hour! I can't stop laughing!
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions on some games to get to play with my normie family? Just something to pull out so I don't have to sit through Monopoly or Clue anymore.
>>
File: casual games v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
casual games v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52977064
Ticket to Ride is a solid intro choice. Easy to teach and play. There's also Blokus which plays up to 4 and is dead simple but still fun.
>>
>>52976249
Nice, anon! I haven't played any of those but congrats!
>>
I know people make their own inserts for games but have you ever tried making a box for a game? I was given splendor for my birthday and I'm wanting to do something to reduce the shelf space of it since the box is way too big
>>
One bump before I fall asleep
>>
Gloomhaven kickstarter ends in like 2 days apparently. I'd like a copy, but just don't really have the money to shell out at this point in time. Does /bgg/ think it will be easy to find later on down the line, or is this likely gonna be the best time to get myself a copy?

I can drop the cash now if it's just gonna disappear, but otherwise I would much rather wait.
>>
>>52974283
I always had a soft spot for simple, but unique pieces. Do you still have the files for the printer?
>>
>>52975590
There's no such thing as "low interaction".

What you call 'low interaction' is actually negative-sum combat, and that's a good thing because it makes player decisions much more varied and complex.

(That said, yes, Scythe is bad, but not due to negative-sum combat but because it's an uninspired point salad game.)
>>
Should I pull the trigger on buying descent?
>>
>>52980214
What's stopping you?
The second edition core set is an essential unless your playgroup hates crawlers, race games, fantasy, role playing or all of the above.
>>
>>52980214
I'm thinking about that too. Is it worth it investing in the relevant officer figures when buying the different sets?
>>
>>52980261
I am not really a knowledgable board gamer, I'm just getting into the hobby. It looks great, but its not a cheap game. And I was kinda expecting comments like "Go play X, its a much better game" o ">playing crawlers".
Idk.
>>
>>52980275
If you're new and you don't have a pre-determined group of friends that are already in the business, the purchase will be wasted on you. I know it because I'm in that case (or just that I can't be with my RPing friends often due to my student status).

This is NOT the kind of game you can just bring to the average casual player, nor the one you can bring to a gaming night with people. You need friends that WILL be available for a certain time, if possible on a regular basis because you'll lose interest otherwise. I've heard the whole campaign requires around 20 hours to play through so it's not just "hey anon, bring that board game of you tonight, we feel like playing a bit". No, it's not.

Of course, there's the one-shot mode but I didn't really enjoy it back when I tried it.
>>
>>52980214
Depends, if you want a classic dungeon crawler, it may not fit your requirements, it's not really about exploration, it's all about racing with the overlord
>>52980268
Unless you haet cardboard tokens, you're fine without them. The variant where you can summon them in combat is alright but... very non essential.
>>
>>52980261
>hates crawlers, race games
Aren't these mutually exclusive?
>>
>>52979503
I apologize for taking a little while to get back to you, I just woke up. Anyway, here are both of the files:
>fleet
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:714358
>tank
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:713140

They're both pretty small (fleet is 28 mm long and tank is 18 mm long) but they're sturdy and they feel really good to hold, I'm very impressed with them
>>
>>52980214
Check out some reviews of the play style, and understand that a good controller / GM can make or break a game like Descent. Descent seems like it's dressed up as a 'Dungeon Crawl' (a long careful exploration of a dungeon) but it often becomes a 'race' game. The players race to complete objectives before the GM can block them from achieving their goals rather than simply exploring the whole dungeon. Which to me would seem to detract from the fun.
>>
>>52980365
Not when your crawl is defined as "the first guy to the spot marked X wins"
>>
>>52960688
What is the thing that dark city improves the most with it?
>>
>>52981996
>Which to me would seem to detract from the fun.
It definitely does, and the GM is quite overwhelmed because heroes are tough as fuck and don't die unlike his own units who are expendable as fuck.
>>
File: citadels_4.jpg (234KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
citadels_4.jpg
234KB, 1200x1200px
I know that Citadels is more of a party game.

But does anyone know similar games where you draft roles every round?

Something maybe a bit more complicated.
>>
>>52982330
This is a tough issue for game designers to resolve. A GM that is intentionally a 'win at all costs / kill the players ruthlessly' personality can ruin just about any game. Or even a GM that unwittingly 'metagames' the system and focuses on 'out-playing' the other gamers. I have no idea how one would design a game (short of the 'Enemy is A.I. controlled') without those issues. I like Level 7 Omega Protocol, but if the GM focus fires down one player after another (which is what a GM trying to win would do) then the game quickly becomes craptacular for the players. Some of the monsters are smart, others are dumb as hammers and should make simple choices like attack nearest enemy, etc rather than the most optimal choice.
>>
>>52982363
One doesn't draft roles every round - but you might like BattleStar Galactica - there is role change during the game, and someone can find later in the game they aren't who they thought they were.
>>
>>52982087
Aren't crawlers about exploring the dungeon and getting loot though
>>
>>52982477
That's the idea, but Descent's victory conditions reward ignoring that and just making a mad dash for the end of almost every dungeon, only stopping to kill stuff completely blocking your path.
>>
>>52982689
Hence >>52980365 is it not? I guess the Descent app quests are more dungeon crawlery than the base game though, since you reveal the map slowly.
>>
>>52982363

They do not have drafting but Mission Red Planet and Libertalia are good modern alternatives to Citadels. They also don't drag on for 3 hours.
>>
>>52979787

>There's no such thing as "low interaction".
Then why do we have terms like "multiplayer solitaire" to describe games?

>What you call 'low interaction' is actually negative-sum combat, and that's a good thing because it makes player decisions much more varied and complex.
While not mutually exclusive, those two terms have nothing to do with each other.

> (That said, yes, Scythe is bad, but not due to negative-sum combat but because it's an uninspired point salad game.)
I would not call Scythe a point salad. Scythe is boring because it sacrifices the group experience for the individual experience, as described perfectly in one of the reviews.
>>
>>52966469
>>52939461
>>52966994

Don't buy Scythe. It has great art and design but gets really boring after like 2 games. Looks like nice and complex game but in reality it is very simple and same every time. Trying to sell my copy.
I don't even have problem with engine building games but there are games which does this way better.
>>
I don't quite mind Scythe. It becomes a lot better when you stop seeing it as a wargame and start seeing it as a eurogame.

Because it's a shit wargame.

And an ok Eurogame with pretty art.
>>
Does anyone have any experience running bigger boardgame meetups in public spaces? My crew's size is getting out of hand.
>>
>>52983140
Wow! If you are playing Citadels and it takes you 3 hours to finish a game, then you / your fellow players are doing it wrong! A 'Take That!' style game like Munchkin becomes a slog as more players are added due to the increased number of 'take that' cards in player's hands. That isn't even remotely the case with Citadels.I've played a lot of Citadels and even at a full 7 players it should NOT take more than 45 minutes or so to finish a game. With 6 or 7 experienced players most games last 30 - 45 minutes, if that. I've taught games of Citadels with 4 or 5 new players in a game and it still didn't take more than an hour or so. Analysis paralysis is NOT a game design flaw. It's like people who claim it took them 8 - 12 hours to finish a 4 or 5 player game of Twilight Imperium.

TL-DR: Bad gaming groups with massive analysis paralysis =\= a badly designed game.
>>
>>52982391
>short of the 'Enemy is A.I. controlled'
Which is why I like Castle Ravenloft/Legend of Drizzt and every crawler-ish game of late has been giving up entirely in the concept of a DM/GM.
Being able to sort-of-accurately predict what the monsters/opponents will do lets you strategize on wether you can pick loot or position yourself better, or just run away from them while exploring further. While a player-controlled opponent will always be on the look for whatever action they can take to fuck you harder which makes any strategy other than aggro blitz just not viable.
>>
>>52982363
>But does anyone know similar games where you draft roles every round?
>Something maybe a bit more complicated.
Race for the Galaxy is kinda that.
>>
>>52983179
>Then why do we have terms like "multiplayer solitaire" to describe games?
Because you're idiots as dumb as bricks.

>I would not call Scythe a point salad.
Again, only because you're an idiot. Scythe is exactly that, since anything you do gives you points and there is no tactical or strategic depth to it.
>>
>>52984264

>name calling without arguments
For one second, I thought we were going to have a discussion on something. Then again, I should have known from your extreme use of buzzwords without a through understanding of what they actually mean.
>>
>>52983861

I call bullshit on 45 minutes for 7 players. Aside from that, not every game of Citadels drags on for 3 hours.

Also, I never said it was a badly designed game. It just has that potential for AP and long games due to a lack of a round structure.
>>
>>52984264
Confirmed for never actually playing Scythe.
>>
>>52984364
You're the one who started the buzzword bullshit by bringing up "multiplayer solitaire" and "low player interaction".

"Multiplayer solitaire" and "low player interaction" aren't things that actually exist, they're buzzwords used by idiots who are salty that they can't figure out workable strategies.
>>
>>52985130
>Confirmed for never actually playing Scythe.
Maybe you're right, but when your selling point is "not as bad as some other eurogames" then I'm not really keen on digging deeper and changing my opinion.
>>
>>52985158
>>52985178

If these are (You), then the irony is very strong.
>>
>>52985158
If you believe multiplayer solitaire and low player interaction don't exist, I recommend you to play a 2 player game of Kingdom Builder.

First of all, the only way for players to interact in this game is to build your settlements in the way of another player. The game may prevent you from doing this by not giving you the necessary terrain cards for building anywhere near them.

Secondly, neither the size of the gameboard, nor the number of settlements per player change between 2 or 4 players, meaning in a 2 player game there is much more free space at the end of the game.

And thirdly, depending on the randomly chosen conditions for points, trying to build your settlements in a way that brings you closer to other players can be an inefficent strategy that rewards you with less points than doing your own thing, essentially penalizing players for trying to interact.

Unless you deliberatly start the game with both players next to each other, it's entirely possible for a two player game to end without the players having any settlement adjacent to an oppenent's.
>>
Holy shit sheriff of nothingham is fun af, and fast, ive played it on a game house and fell in love with it, redistance is pretty good too but i bought sheriff. Some good laughs . And its small enought to carry around and it has a quick setup
>>
>>52982267
Adds much needed difficulty and more complex heros.

The reason why you go to legendary for a deck building games is because of how much schemes change each game.

I fully admit that ascension is a better deck builder but a well set up legendary game is always more fun for me.

Also, dark city almost literally doubles the base game immediately meaning many more combinations and the base game is much easier then dark city.

Even on the hardest combo in the base game Legacy virus + Loki with Enemies of Asgard isn't that hard. Compare that to x-cutioners song + apocalypse and its pretty much child's play.
>>
What should I get next? Below is what I currently have.

>Android Netrunner
>7 wonders + an expansion
>D&D Castle Ravenloft
>Lanterns
>King of Tokyo + expansion
>Codenames
>Kingdom Builder
>7 wonders duel
>Legendary Marvel + Dark city
>Pandemic Legacy
>Coup
>Pixel Tactics (Super cheaps and really fun)
>Battlecon War of Indines
>Sheriff of Nottingham

I like deck building and customization a lot.
>>
>>52987797
If you like deck building then check out Star Realms. It's ~$12 for the base game that's a quick deck building game that lasts 10-15 minutes so it leaves you wanting more. There's also a free app you can download to try it out to see if you like it, it'd recommend at least doing that

I'll always recommend Carcassonne to anyone who doesn't have it, it's just a good game.

>Castle Ravenloft
I've had my eye on this game, what do you like and not like about it? Do you regret getting it?
>Pixel Tactics
Same questions as Castle Ravenloft. Which ones do you have and is there a recommended order to buy them in?
>>
>>52977270
Great recommendations!

>>52977064
Pandemic is one of the best Cooperative games imo and fun for everyone.

Tokaido is a cute game, where you're just collecting souvenirs and things for points. It's also one of the funniest runs I've seen on Tabletop.

Dead of Winter is good if you play with 4-5 people and one of them (with a great poker face) is the traitor.

Eldritch Horror depends on how many players you have, and early bad cards can break your spirit! I'd recommend playing with at least 4 people, or 4 characters on the map. Do NOT play Azathoth your first game.
>>
>>52988482
>Tabletop
I can't watch more than two minutes of those videos
>>
>>52986631
You've described a game that has poorly tested mechanics, not a game with 'low player interaction'. The interaction is obviously there, the problem is with chaotic and mismatched scoring.

>trying to build your settlements in a way that brings you closer to other players can be an inefficent strategy that rewards you with less points than doing your own thing, essentially penalizing players for trying to interact.
This is called negative-sum interaction, and in principle it's a very good thing, as it makes decisions much more interesting and varied. Whether or not Kingdom Builder in particular does this right is another question. (Yes, balance is hard, and broken games are common.)
>>
>muh board state
I died in a record two rounds. Fucker pulled tools of the grave on a 14 zombie spawn in lost in the woods. He then played bickering, which makes you lose your turn and got them all inside my square but one. One was a stench of death, two of my heroes went down in two turns (both youths). Then my third and poof, game over. Zombie player hit his win condition.
>>
File: IMG_20170430_152252255.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170430_152252255.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>52988701
Oops forgot the pic, sorry guys
>>
>>52988375
>Castle Ravenloft
Gameplay feel boring to me. Its a lot just doing a basic attack and not a lot of special feeling between characters.

I'm sure variants could make the game much better like customer cards and better rules but overall just seemed bland gameplaywise

>Pixel Tactics
Pick up the base game and see if you like it. Super cheap so not a big loss. You play with a 3 by 3 grid. All the card are double sided. Regular unit on one side and leader on the back.

You pick 3 random cards from your deck and choose one leader side card to be your leader. Leaders have very powerful abilities that change how you will play the game and focus on so tons of room for variation. One ability is you can move your units as much as you want without spending an action. In a game with limited actions every turn this is massive.

The regular unit side has 3 rows and usually different abilities depending on which row they are. So when you play a unit in the front row it would have a different ability then if it was in the back row.

Then add on top of that the turn structure is player 1 uses his limited actions to play card into the top row and use abilities of units already in the top row. Then player 2 goes and does the same thing. Next turn Player 1 plays units and abilities from the middle row and then player 2 repeats. Same thing again for the third row at the very bottom. Then when you loop back to top row again you shift who goes first so that mean player 2 now goes first and yes that does mean 2 turns in a row to balance the first turn advantage.

It's honestly really worth it at just the base game and really cheap. The characters are actually based on the battlecon characters from the war of indines.
>>
>>52988939
To add to this post, if you have at least two games in the series, you can Play constructed variant.
>>
>>52988676
>This is called negative-sum interaction
No, it isn't.

It isn't negative sum, since the theoretical loss of points you take by making the action is indirectly a gain for your opponent as it lowers the amount of points he would have needed to win, so it ends up zero sum.

And it isn't an interaction at all since the whole point of interaction is two (or more) things influencing each other and in the case of this game, every turn is one-sided placement of settlements from one player, with no way for the other player to react.

Additionally, even if you manage to "block the path" of your opponent it might end up not affecting him at all if he doesn't draw a card that would have let him build into that direction.
>>
>>52976066
>>Are you talking the small $3 micro game version or the newer reprint?
>Yeah, it's the micro version. I found it new on BGG for $5 so I'm pumped about that. Sure, it's over MSRP but it's only $5 and still a lot cheaper than anyone else selling it.

I didn't know it was hard to get now. I just recently gave my new version to my brother because I have kids now and don't have time to learn and play it. Better tell him not to throw it away if he doesn't want it.
>>
>>52979062
I think since it made so much money, it will be around for a while. But I think it will be more expensive
>>
>>52989039
>>52988939
Thanks for the opinions, I'll definitely grab the base game. If I want to get a second one to play constructed, which one would you recommend?
>>
>>52988715
Is that fun?
I bought it several years ago in a $300 buying spree and was a little miffed that the base game only had like 5 scenarios or something, and didn't make full use of all the parts.
>>
>>52929858
I buy board games but have nobody to play them with, hoping that one day I will.
>>
What's the consensus on Wiz-Wars? I'm intrigued, but open for suggestions.
>>
>>52989466
This is what I meant by buzzwords. He just keeps spewing out the same words without really understanding what people are talking about.
>>
>>52990605
I've found that with the expansion of survival of the fittest, it way over favors the zombies. It's replayability is decent. Definitely a beer and pretzels game. It can be played with it's base set btw. Those extra pieces are for designing your own missions.
>>
>>52987797
>I like deck building and customization a lot.

I'm not a fan of Dominion, but it's a very well designed game so I'd be remiss in not suggesting you take a look at it.. You don't need all of the expansions, and there are folks here or on BGG that should be able to recommend the best ones to add to the core set.

Core Worlds {Sci-fi Empire Building} - it has 2 expansion sets and is a lot of fun. (I really like this game.)

Eminent Domain {also a Sci-fi Empire Builder} is faster in terms of play time, but has less depth to it than Core World, IMO.

There's also Arctic Scavengers + Recon expansion that adds to the depth. (The theme of surviving the frozen apocalypse may not appeal to everyone.)

There's also XenoShyft. I've got the first boxed set from the original KS - great S.F. artwork and theme. And it's guaranteed to bust your balls, whether solo or in co-op mode. (I haven't picked up the 2nd set yet, but it's on my 'to buy' list.)

And there's also the previously mentioned 'Star Realms' that is a solid and fairly fast playing deck builder as well. (And I'd 2nd the Carcassonne pimping too - but that's just me.)

There's also the Fantasy 'Thunder Stone / Thunder Stone Advance {reprint}. Unfortunately they're both out of print at the moment though TSA is supposedly getting a reprint in the (near?) future.

Hope that helps!
>>
File: IMG_0775.jpg (3MB, 3519x3519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0775.jpg
3MB, 3519x3519px
Hey was wondering what you guys think of this game. It looks and sounds fun was way into red wall when I was kid so the setting sounds nice.
>>
File: 1387592478955.jpg (126KB, 456x447px) Image search: [Google]
1387592478955.jpg
126KB, 456x447px
>>52992872
I haven't played it myself, but around these parts the consensus seems to be that while it's OK for younger players, that it lacks depth / has some rules issues that could make it less appealing to adult board game players.

As for me: Board Game equilibrium achieved! Got in 2 games of Forbidden Island (in fact 2 groups running 2 games of it at the same time since we had 7 players). And both groups managed to win both games, though our 3 player group had fewer issues, even winning our 2nd game on elite level. Then we managed 3 rounds of Saboteur - which is challenging for the Dwarves when there're 3 saboteurs in the game. (The fact that some of our groupe are devious and able to keep a straight face makes in even more entertaining.) And we finished up the evening with a couple of games of Dixit. All in all a well spent game day with friends.
>>
>>52992468
Thanks for responding, anon.
>>
>>52990001
I'm the guy who bought the game. I'm completely guessing so if I'm wrong someone please correct me but I think it's not being printed at the moment-it's either in between print runs or it was just a one time thing. Since it's not being printed, scalpers are jacking up the price in hopes people will impulse buy it. For example, it's being sold for about $20 on Amazon which is about 5 times MSRP
>>
>>52991302
This is my situation too. Feels bad anon
>>
>>52952422

Because its a trademark, as many has pointed out, and thus sells on its own.

Like Star Wars, you can make just about anything and it will still sell (granted your not EA, with a rep to counter the benefits of this trademark all on your own).
>>
>>52987642
Thanks for your indepth reply.
I want to buy one of the legendary games but trying to decide between marvel and firefly.
>>
File: Ogre_microgame.jpg (20KB, 205x346px) Image search: [Google]
Ogre_microgame.jpg
20KB, 205x346px
>>52994996
The original OGRE micro-game came out in 1977, and GEV (Ground Effect Vehicle) in 78'. The 'new' $3 version is a limited print run of the 77' original that was printed as a part of the 'OGRE Designer Edition' KS. The reprint isn't bad at all - but the OGRE base game is just one map with limited terrain. But it wasn't hard to come up with new scenarios and the old stuff is still online in Torrents. GEV may have added a few more units, but it definitely added a greater variety of terrain types. Again, the old maps are still floating around on-line. The new designer edition / (6th Edition?) uses much larger hexes, nicely done color graphics chits, and they have new models of units in plastic as of their latest KS.
>>
>>52989466
I'm not talking about Kingdom Builder in particular, I'm talking about a generic situation when conflict can punish both parties. This is a good thing. Only the dumbest games have zero-sum interaction. (Even chess isn't really zero-sum -- losing pieces lowers your offensive capability but opens up space for freer movement.)
>>
How would you implement an alignment system in a board game? Could you perhaps introduce a betrayer type of player role, connected to the alignment system?
>>
>>52990366
I would go with 1+2. 1 Has the basics covered although 2 leaders are OP and have been errata'd. 2 has actions that have ongoing effect for several turns.

IIRC 4 introduces trap cards and I don't remember what the test Has mechanically.
>>
File: pic3415103_lg.jpg (155KB, 1023x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic3415103_lg.jpg
155KB, 1023x1024px
>>52929858 (OP)
Last two years? Almost nothing. I was nearly homeless with no job. Now that I have a job, I've been well-over making up for it (see bottom of post). Spendings:
>$1097.95 on GAMES
>$130.35 on SLEEVES and ACCESSORIES

Seems like a lot but I also have a great job, take care of important stuff first, save money and tend to favor buying on sale.

Both now. I used to have to only buy on sale. I haven't found a single good place to buy used games at GOOD prices yet. So far, my main go-tos are Amazon, CSI, and Miniature Market. Now I do a combination of both. Recently, I impulse bought Mint Works for $15 (no regrets) because it kept rapidly selling out. You almost have to if you want to get a game these days.

I buy exclusively. My group is super small and I don't mind being the sole buyer.

Just recently bought:
>Mint Works
>Entire Among the Stars collection (including all expansions)
>New Dawn (sequel to AtS)
>Xenoshyft Dreadmire
>Burger Up + expansion
>Millennium Blades + Set Rotation
>Draco Magi + foils + expansion (on hold)
>Dominion 2E big box + Prosperity
>>
I'm looking for suggestions if anyone can help. My group group really enjoyed Zombies!!! despite its simplicity (found a used copy for $3 and bought it on a whim).

Anyways, I'm looking for Zombies!!!+

I've never played Zombicide, but is that what I'm basically asking for? It's got the theme, it's got the dice mechanic (I presume), but I'm unsure of the complexity. My group did not like Kemet because "too many options" (I'm not even joking).

>>52929858
$200-300 in the last two months and maybe $50 in components--not much compared to Warhammer 40k, historical, and other /tg/ related stuff.

Depends. If it's a game I have to have and it's out of print then I'll drop the shekels for it. Most of the time I'll wait for discounts and browse the used section at my FLGS (they're strict on quality). If it's <$25 I'll buy it on a whim and feel nothing of it and anything over I'll do a bit of research or ask around.

I'm the sole supplier of my group and it kind of bugs me, but not enough to stop collecting.
>>
File: image.jpg (479KB, 1922x889px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
479KB, 1922x889px
>>52952422
The arkham horror LCG is an amazing 2 player experience.

Tides of madness is ok as well

Edldritch horror was a guilty pleasure but Im getting rid of it now that the LCG has surpassed it mechanically. Still a well designed game though

This is coming from a guy who mostly plays COIN and heavy euros. Let go of your self imposed elitism, its a crutch.
>>
I have a feeling this may be a common question, but if I was only going to get one should I get xenoshyft onslaught or dreadmire?
I would mainly play it as a 2p game.
>>
>>52987224
I've lost hard every time I've played Sheriff of Nottingham, and I've still had fun... probably because I was roleplaying as Edgar G Robinson
>>
File: yashima.png (118KB, 246x199px) Image search: [Google]
yashima.png
118KB, 246x199px
Is this a good fighting game?
>>
>>52955714
Well, the afternoon event was a lot more kiddy-orientated than I thought it'd be; first game I played was Hungry Hungry Hippos, with two kids whose parents I know from other meetups. Fortunately, I got in a game of TtR: Europe with one of the organisers, in which I came a respectable second. I played Mancala with the girls again, which they seemed to enjoy.

Evening one was much better, frankly; Batman Love Letter, Thunderbirds and Colt Valley. There are talks of having a regular board games meetup in the area, which we've been needing badly for some time now.
>>
Hey. Can you help me. I want to buy a civilization for our game group and now have to decide between TTA (2.Ed.) and Nations. As far as I can tell TTA is more strategy while Nations is more Tactics and that military takes a bigger part in TTA. My group is more euro oriented so I tend to lean towards Nations but many people say that the second Edition on TTA is just better now.
>>
File: You-Died.jpg (16KB, 575x350px) Image search: [Google]
You-Died.jpg
16KB, 575x350px
Playing Dark Souls for the first time this week.

What am I in for /tg/?
>>
File: KMG001__01.png (215KB, 630x428px) Image search: [Google]
KMG001__01.png
215KB, 630x428px
I recently found this game called Barbarossa at a local game shop. Has anyone here played it? If yes, is the game actually decent or are the cute female nazi soldiers the only selling point of the game?
>>
File: IMG_9163.jpg (185KB, 1920x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9163.jpg
185KB, 1920x960px
>>53000085
>>
>>53000319
I'm gonna put out on a limb and guess that the waifus are the selling point here
>>
>>53000346
*go out

>>52999852
I've seen colt valley mentioned a lot recently, what's it like?
>>
>>53000356
Pretty good - definitely one of my favourite "programmed movement" games.
>>
>>53000319
I heard it's a solid deckbuilder. Nothing earth-shattering , but solid. Plus wiafus.

I think there's a sister game, which is also a deckbuilder, but features maids instead.
>>
>>52998272
A modern board game version of John Carpenter's take on 'The Thing' (IIRC the original book is called 'Who Goes There?' by James Campbell Jr.) with excellent rules design would be awesome!

Damnit! Anon. Now you are obligated to make it happen.
>>
>>53000346
Yeah, I realize that it's the main selling point, but the description and the reviews actually make it sound like an interesting game.

Basically it seems to be Dominion with a war theme, where you slowly build up an army (that permanently stays on board) to then take down minor tactical objectives and finally cities.

>>53000587
Thanks, it's pretty much the same I heard of the game.

The sister game is called Tanto Cuore. I was thinking of getting it instead of Barbarossa for being less offensive, but my local game shop doesn't have it and all versions I found online cost at least twice as much as Barbarossa.
>>
>>52966469
It's a decent Euro/engine builder. The mechanics are ultimately a bit basic but it makes more of an attempt than usual for games that type to force player interaction.

The components and art are really nice. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just that the production quality is what really sets it apart.
>>
>>53000053
>the second Edition on TTA is just better now

That is correct.
>>
I just ordered Arctic Scavengers, super motherload, and micro robot. Plus I ordered fugitive recently

I really shouldn't order more than 1 game at a time because I feel if I get multiple new games at once then I don't have the time to try them all out properly
>>
>>53000676
>The sister game is called Tanto Cuore.

Oh yeah, that one!

How much are they anyway? Plus, do you have anybody to play them with? As in somebody who can look past the suggestive animu imagery.
>>
>>52997549
How'd you go from almost homeless with no job to employment that lets you drop $1000 dollary-doos on games? Tell me your secrets, because I'm far from unemployable but about the only places that seem to be hiring are stocking jobs for retail
>>
>>53000977
I have people to play them with, yes.

The cheapest Tanto Cuore core set I found here is 50€ + 17€ shipping. Followed by 69€ but no shipping costs.

Amazon US has Tanto Cuore for 40$ + 7-9$ shipping if I choose the cheapest rates for shipping to my country (Germany), though I'd have to add another 8€ at customs, so I'd end up with roughly 51€.

The Barbarossa I found at my local shop is 32€.
>>
>>53001250
Not him but same situation and the answer is
Sheer fucking determination. I got sick & couldn't walk for 26 months. I lost everything. Took me seven years to get my life back together but it can be done. I was the laziest motherfucker ever, too
>>
>>52998272
>The arkham horror LCG is an amazing 2 player experience.
Mind telling me more about it?
>>
>>53001281
I think that 32€ for Barbarossa is pretty alright price. I haven't played Barbarossa myself, but would like to try it, because I like deckbuilding and the "historical" theme.
>>
>>53001876
Jesus anon.
I hope things are 100x more smoother for you now.
I mean this in the best possible way, so don't take it wrong, but if you can get through that, then I can most certainly get hired in a job I want.
>>
>>53002429
Anon, look at your hands. Take a long look. All your potential is right there. Every child you'll ever hold, everything you'll ever write, everything you'll ever make, right there in those small square inches of skin. Make it count. You can change the world if you so wanted.
>>
I know this might be a basic as fuck question, but I'm totally new to boardgames.

Is there something out there like Monopoly, I mean somewhat similar level of complexity, but less luck factor? As in, no or minimal dice rolling, but not super complicated management? Something that a bunch of noobs could play while having beers and laughs?

We have these regular Monopoly nights, but we fucking hate how much depends on dice rolling.
>>
>>53002469
Thanks anon, I appreciate you saying so.
They're broad hands, too. Lots of pontential.
>>
>>53002496
TtR would be the standard, collect color sets, play to buy routes on board. I like Alhambra as a Monopoly replacement though, it's a little dated, but still solid. Take money, use it to buy buildings, best estate built wins. Also you can look at the chart >>52977270 posted. It's 2p focused, but any of the double date work well at 4, and some even handle 5.

On the topic of that chart, I'm kinda stuck on the kids one for now (and it doesn't really matter since kids like any game, so the charts really for adults telling you what's less boring). I'm off for a couple days this week, wondering if people would want a multiplayer casual chart, and what group #s they'd want (3, 4, 5, 6, 8?).
>>
>>53002590
Thanks, will look up Ticket to Ride.
>>
File: frozen.gif (4MB, 514x356px) Image search: [Google]
frozen.gif
4MB, 514x356px
/bgg/ - feels
Thanks guys. Even the semi-regular shit-flinging doesn't stop this from being the best general on /tg/.
>>
>>53002469
Damn, I feel inspired now.
>>
>>53000053

While on the surface Nations is more Euro-y, luck plays a much larger factor in that game than TTA, especially when playing with the expansion. It's a great experience, especially with said expansion that cranks everything up to 11 (and replaces some of the annoying kind luck with wildly imbalanced nation powers) but people looking for a serious test of skill should lean towards TTA.

Playing time is also a factor, TTA will not be finished under 3 hours and probably head towards 4.
>>
>>53002590
>wondering if people would want a multiplayer casual chart
I would really appreciate something like this. If I had to pick group size then personally 3-6 would be my vote
>>
>>53002650
Our board seems to be a little older demographically which keeps /tg/ cozier anyhow. Besides the shit-flinging changes over time, during the dark times threads derailed into people bitching about tripfags (cue Trump voice) and we have the best tripfags, we really do, I say this all the time. There was also a full week of shitposting when we became /bgg/- Summoner Wars general. In another year we'll have moved past kickstarter onto how uncomfortable their gold toilets are or something else that doesn't matter.

>>53002734
I've thought about it a couple times, but wasn't sure if it'd be better to do multiple for each player count, or if it'd be better going for a range. Also debated doing just charts based on game genres, but that seemed too unfocused. 3-6 seems fair, anyone else got input?
>>
>>53002496
>Is there something out there like Monopoly, I mean somewhat similar level of complexity, but less luck factor? As in, no or minimal dice rolling, but not super complicated management? Something that a bunch of noobs could play while having beers and laughs?

Check out the image in this post...
>>52977270
>>
>>53000676
There's a version of Barbarossa that uses photos of real people on the cards instead of lewd waifus, you can go for that if you're looking for something less offensive. Most of the hearsay I've seen about the it seems to imply it actually has something even without the T&A too.
>>
>>53002805
>full week where we became summoner wars general
Probably my most regretted purchase in the last two years.
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>53002979
But STEEV, it's the best area control, dudes on a map, euro, co-op, deckbuilding, miniatures duel game ever created!
>>
>>53003054
>co-op
[regret intensifies]
>>
>>53003175
I'm gonna title my co-op recs chart "STEEV's Favorites"
>>
File: arrest.gif (1MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
arrest.gif
1MB, 512x288px
>>53003271
Too far, anon.
>>
>>53002978
Surprisingly, despite or rather because of the higher realism, the photo edition of Barbarossa is more off-putting than the anime edition for a lot of people.

Turns out people (at least here in Germany) are less comfortable leading realistic nazi soldiers to occupy russia than leading german military themed half-naked anime girls to do the same.
>>
File: 1489461356288.png (393KB, 611x607px) Image search: [Google]
1489461356288.png
393KB, 611x607px
>>53003472
Missed all this talk on Barbarossa earlier, I've played it, definitely a solid deck builder; not the best ever but enjoyable. I've heard El Alamein is a little tighter, but both and Tanto Cuore (any version) are worth the money, assuming you're not gonna scare people off with the theme.

>>53003420
It'd be too big a pain of a chart to put together anyhow, not sure how I'd divide it into categories. Now a schadenfreude chart? That'd be fun to do
>>
Man, I want to grab Gloomhaven while I still can, but I've got this feeling I'm going to have mad buyer's remorse when I finally get the damn thing and try to convince my friends to play it.
>>
>>53003567
>schadenfreude chart
FUND IT
>>
>>53004463
Pretty good chance it'll happen sooner or later, I'm off til Thursday but there's loads to do around the house and bookkeeping to catch up on so maybe not right away. Casual group games seems like it might have more value right now.
>>
>>53004250
Considering it wraps in less than 24 hours, this might be not as great an idea, but you could drop $20 on Tabletop Simulator and give it a try.
I don't know when it stops, but TTS was actually discounted for the Tabletop Weekend, and that lasts until sometime today.

I was in a similar postion, anon, until I watched a rules video and that started to capture my imagination. I've played through the kickstarter campaign on TTS, and that has eased all possible buyer's remorse.
A big caveat though is that I'm primarily looking at playing it solo, so if you're not into that and you might not be able to get a bunch of friends around it, then it's definitely a lot to pay.

It is good, though. Very tight, worth it if you like tactical rpgs and can get people to play (or like going solo)
>>
>>53002979
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>53004906
Not really, I just don't have a lot of regrets.
It has a lot of variety if you dig into the expansions enough, and there's some fun mechanics on display, but I think it's just a little too undermined by dice combat with virtually no mitigation tools.
>>
I stumbled upon a playthrough video of Project: ELITE the other day and immediately fell in love. I can't describe the subsequent heartbreak I went through reading thru it's history and seeing how bad this project turned out with the melted minis and general fuckery.

Man this one needs a serious reprint. Does anyone have this? Is it worth it even with the shitty minis or should I hold out and hope someone else picks it up or reimplements the mechanics
>>
>>53003271
>>53003420
Now you've done it Anon. STEEV's triggered... :)
>>
>>53005621
I've been baiting STEEV for years, it's all in good fun; like when we used to hassle Minifig about his 404 Kickstarter Not Found misery. Besides if he really ever goes on a murder spree I think we've got him pointed strongly enough at Herbert that we'll finally get a new printing of Dune.
>>
>>52995382
No problem, I haven't seen the changes firefly has because all the legendary encouters have differences from marvel but I would recommend Marvel if you plan to get even one expansion.

The amount of extra content you get just from any of the big boxes will give you more playtime then any one encounters game.
>>
>>52997294
Different outcomes for different alignments. It's the laziest way and easiest to metagame but it works.
>>
>>53001250
Person you replied to here:

They actually found me by my Dice online profile. Turns out the best places have their own talent hunters (like bank IT). What you really want is to just set up profiles on all the major job sites and start applying. I started getting emails for jobs while I was DOING INTERVIEWS. That's after 2 years of nothing mind you.

Also moving to a new state/city helped. Find places people call "growing" such as Pittsburgh. Look for oil/steel/coal cities that got shit on big and started making a tech comeback. That's what worked for me.

The truth is, it's just like your RPGs anon-kun. You can't win if you don't play. I spent most of my life minmaxing my knowledges and skills. I spent a lot of time rolling the dice. The thing about rolling the dice with huge +s to skillchecks is you eventually make it no matter how unlucky you are. In fact, they were ecstatic to find someone with my background. Keep developing your skills and rolling the dice. Shine on you crazy diamond.
>>
>>53002469
<3 fuck yes
>>
>>53002721
Thank you. How do the games fare with more players? I heard that the luck factor in Nations gets smaller (because of more cards that will be open) and TTA gets very very long. We will probably be 4 Players most of the time.

I am still unsure between Nations (with Dynasties because "special powers" are cool) and new TTA. And lean towards Nations because of time and "conflict" aspect in the game.
>>
>>53005986
lol, thanks anon.
I could stand to beef up my presence on the professional websites.
I just made a new list of what I need to do jobwise, which always makes me feel better about things.
I don't have it monetary to move to a new city, although where I am right now is basically a suburb of a major city, which is where I'm looking for work.

More on topic,
I posted about in the thread for it thats up, but can anyone tell me things about Kingdom Death: Monster?
When can we expect 1.5 out, and for how much in retail?
Also, is it fun? How much random is it?
>>
>people on reddit hamming on Tom Vasal for streaming his mothers funeral
What the fuck is wrong with these people that they hate this man and anything he does so much?
>>
>>53008107
For one, it's Tom Vasal. Who the fuck would stream their mom's funeral?
>>
>>53008272
It was a stream on his personal account desu
What do you have against Tom?
>Inb4 uuuh christcuck chaos in the old world uuh
>>
>>53008107
The internet is for shitposting, and tends to be a liberal place; Tom/Sam were baptist ministers, very traditional, from the deep south. That's a recipe for interweb drama, made worse by the part where he was the first big reviewer, and while he's pretty smart as far as games go, his rules explanations are weak (because they're only there for background not as a focus) and his production values are low (because they focused on quantity). Just watch what you like and ignore the noise; life's too short to give a shit about random people on the internet.

The negative reviews list, and some of their live top 10s are good comedic value tho. Annoying gamers and game store flaws are the best for rants.
>>
>get round to starting dunwich legacy for AHLCG
>House always wins is the most fun i've had in an rpg/boardgame
>Miskatonic museum is the most tension i've had because we really effed up but managed to pull a win
Goddamnit I love this game
>>
>>53002469
This is why I love this place
>>53002496
There are some decent not-Monopoly games; oddly enough, quite a few from Hasbro

Monopoly Tropical Tycoon
Monopoly Deal
Star Wars Monopoly (2015 edition)
>>
>>53009475
Monopoly deal is really fun and quick. I was surprised.
>>
>>53008107
>defending a fat man from the bible belt whos contribution to society is playing games other people make and producing low quality videos where he talks about them while featuring his similarly overweight cohorts.
I mean I wouldn't bother hating the man, but why even bother defending him.
>>
>>52929858
Usually only buy 4 to 5 big price board games. Only buy penny sleeves when it comes to card based games.

Little of both I waited 2 years to buy marvel legendary on sale but impulse bought castle ravenloft

I play mostly 2p games with my fiancee and a few 4p games every so often with our couple friends. They are plebs though and don't like the risk of losing in coop games.
>>
>>53010453
Marvel legendary is dope. I would definitely consider buying this.
>>
>>53010329
Who has higher quality board game reviews?
>>
>>53010482
It's good but expensive that's why I waited so long to get it.

Biggest con is set up time. Also the hero's cards can be slightly bland if you are used to big effects on cards like in ascension.
>>
>>53010506
>Who has higher quality board game reviews?
Inside the box is the best production in board games I've seen.
https://youtu.be/ZOCvOu0F_fQ
>>
>>53010329
Hmm Zee Garcia seems to be a nice guy and not as much of a bible freak.
>>
>>53010651
Good God that's cringey
>>
>>53010905
Isn't he the one who didn't like Evolution because it's about evolution?
>>
>>53009178

Hell yes, House Always Wins made basically sold me on the rest of the game. Core was neat the first time and every time after was meh, but that brought me right back in.

I'm more lukewarm on Miskatonic Museum though. Having just one enemy regardless of player count makes for some balance issues, still a neat idea though.

>>53010905

He's objectively the best of the three.
>>
>>53012129
That's Sam. Zee isn't nearly as stupid.
>>
>>53002650
This is why the shit flinging bugs me sometimes. Because I know we have a bunch of bro-tier anons on here and we're better than the stupid shitposting that these threads have generated lately.
>>
>>53002979
I was so convinced that I was missing out on a great game during that period, that I almost bought it. Luckily, I tried it out on the app first and realized what a piece of crap it is. Bullet dodged.
>>
>>53002805
I anticipate the contrarian elitism rampant elsewhere to eventually find its way here. In 12 months we'll have posts about all the great things monopoly does as a game and why candyland is really deep on a philosophical level.
>>
File: other.png (630KB, 1888x1852px) Image search: [Google]
other.png
630KB, 1888x1852px
>>53013242
I've been in /bgg/ since at least summer 2012, we've always had these runs of shitposts, the target changes every so often (reviewers, ks, dice, euros, party games, etc) but it'll fade out eventually. That's the nature of anonymous posting; the upside is we tend to be slightly less echo chamber than BGG or /r/boardgames. Plus /tg/ always has the best comedy posted on it, just scroll through the feces and try to relax.
>>
>>53002979
>not buying the app before a physical copy
Let your regret grow Steev.
>>
>>53010651
That's actually pretty impressive
>>
>>53010651

I'm watching the Game of Thrones card game video, holy shit my sides
>>
>>53010651

The production values on this channel are fantastic but god the acting/writing is so cringy and bad.
>>
File: 1370689896023.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1370689896023.png
259KB, 640x480px
>>53013393
>>
>>53010506
SUSD is the only one I've found so far that has actual production value.
>>
>>53008272
Streaming funerals is actually really common. I couldn't get to my grandad's funeral so I watched it on a stream
>>
>>53015441
>>53015441
>>
If I have no worker placement games what should I get? Trying to make a list to round out my library.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.