[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 17

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world where pants are optional.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms%20of%20the%20Chosen%20Preview.docx?dl=0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Other Ex3 Resources
https://pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
https://pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Previous age: >>52844062

Underworld edition. What notable ghosts have appeared in your campaigns? Has anyone in your circle learned necromancy?
>>
>>52899336
>We didn't "need" Gods being able to shit out little Exalt's of variable power levels.

They can't shit them out. The idea is when there is a crisis or a compelling reason for a God to sacrifice themselves to Exalt someone, they can petition the UCS for the exigency. They're supposed to be pretty rare.

Exigents add cool flavor to the setting, set up precedent for there being exalts who are not automatically considered anathema, and are perfect fits to mixed splat games.

>We didn't "need" Not-Prometheans who possibly enroach upon Abyssal themes when Abyssal themes are already fairly weak as is

The sections on liminals and abyssals in the book are really different, so the fear that they encroach on Abyssal themes is unfounded.

>We didn't "need" Anti-Sidereals because Lunars exist, and everything outside of Fate exists

There is little information on Getimians, but they occupy the space as foils to Sidereals in their job of actually fixing snarls in the loom of fate, which was supposed to be important in previous editions but all you actually got was...dealing with the solars
>>
>>52899496

What did he make? What were his complaints? I always thought that Craft would be fundamentally incomplete until the Artefact and, to a lesser extent, the Manse splats came out.
>>
Is this going to be the bizarro edition where, because Holdorke was in charge of the core book, and people who know what the fuck they're doing are going to be in charge of everything else, Solars are going to be the ones with the poorly written charmset and everyone else's is going to be cleanly written, neat, and mechanically elegant?
>>
>>52899596
Yes, but it's letting you do something with an Ability + Attribute combo that you normally would not be allowed to use to do that with.
>>
>>52899921

There was a bit of that. Not having examples of any N/A artifacts left him floundering a bit at the high end. When he realised how useless the non-power tree was, I let him redo his character to ditch the useless charms, so he didn't really complain about that - but would have, if I hadn't been flexible with it.

He didn't complain about the system complexity, but he's that sort of guy. He made a crafting calendar to keep track of when each roll was required, and to manage his willpower expenditure in downtime, and all that jazz. We stopped tracking crafting XP when it got into the thousand-plus silver xp, since every project except N/A was a net gain.

I don't think it possible to play a Solar crafter the way it's intended (i.e. having ten-plus legendary projects on the go at once, as some charms require) without being a borderline autist IRL.

The most glaring gap I find is that there's no real support for being MacGyver - the jack of all trades who can whip up whatever's needed in a given situation. I mean there's Vice Miracle Technique, but that's one charm, once per season, and still requires you to be crafting something else when you activate it. That seems to be the second-tier popular craft archetype, after Craft All The Things.
>>
>>52898262
It's pretty good! The combat system and social systems work well, and Paranoia Combat is definitively no longer a thing. Which makes me very happy.
>>
>>52900339

You're right, one of the real fuck ups with Craft tree was the fact that it could be solved. I'm interested in the Craft trees of other Exalts though, in order to get a comparison.
>>
been a while, heard the terrible two were fired

4th edition when?
>>
>>52900978
Fuck off.
>>
>>52900978

Wait, who'd they fire?
>>
>>52901054

Holden Shearer and John Morke have been replaced by Robert Vance and Eric Minton.
>>
>>52900978
Never. 3E Core is a good base for the rest of the line, at least according to Vance and Minton. Who also worked on the core as well, remember.

>>52901054
Holden and Morke.
>>
>>52901092
This. And if you want a great example of the sheer difference, recall that when 3e Solar charm previews went up and were criticized the two of them basically had a chimpout and utterly closed off all taps for previews.

By HEAVY contrast, here's Vance's reaction to having his shit criticized: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1083449-dragon-blooded-charm-previews?p=1083684#post1083684
>>
>>52901093

>3E Core is a good base for the rest of the line

Saying that a pile of shit is diamonds doesn't actually change the fact it's a pile of shit.

They needed to go into the direction of 1e with simpler mechanics, instead we got an abortion.
>>
>>52901357
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1083449-dragon-blooded-charm-previews?p=1083684#post1083684

I've said it before here, but I'll say it again. Those two have done more in a month to win me over than the other two did in a year. Fucking amazing.
>>
File: sans_t29.jpg (39KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
sans_t29.jpg
39KB, 235x235px
>>52901372
That's some pretty hot opinions anon! It does nothing to change that 3E's still the best iteration of Exalted, and now a fairly good game even when it's divorced from the setting.
>>
The book contains rules on how to break a hearthstone, but I don't see anything saying why you would do so
>>
>>52901404

There are more players in GURPS than Exalted right now.

A literal dead game has more players than one that is 'alive'.

They need to remake the entire game from scratch in order to have the remotest hope in hell of saving it.
>>
>>52901733
It's powering the laser cannons on your First Age Tech power-chastity-belt.
>>
It's pretty obvious that Rich sat on a bunch of stuff once he knew Exalted was going to be changing developers so we'd get this honeymoon period.
Not to say Vance and Minton aren't vital new blood just acknowledging there's spin here.
>>
>>52901742
Wow, you counted them all???

Nigga, it's outselling anything else OPP is producing, so if you want to bitch and say that the sky is falling then get your ass on the WoD general and make that argument. If Exalted is dead then WoD is a reeking corpse rather than merely a sexy fanged one.
>>
>>52901092
>>52901093

Huh. Well Holden and Morke seemed like alright dudes, but their design philosophies I strongly disagreed with so I'm sort of glad to see them gone as devs.
>>
>>52901835
I like the mechanics of the core, but their PR skills were nonexistent.
>>
>>52901742
>GURPG
>dead
Nigger stuff comes out for that game every month
>>
>>52901830
Yeah, this, and frankly I feel like it's one of the core reasons it took a direct act of defiance to get Rich to put on his big boy britches and slap Holdemorke's shit. They may have been slow to put material out but what they got out sold (and still sells) like hotcakes.
>>
>>52900339
>being MacGyver - the jack of all trades who can whip up whatever's needed in a given situation

this is most of what what I really ever wanted out of craft charms, more so than "wildly difficult to balance mix of setting breaking artificer/useless lump" in day to day play. It needed a tree like that
>>
>>52901372
>1E

Pls no stacking of defense all year long until you were unkillable.
>>
>>52901766
but you can't do it on most worthwhile timeframes, it takes days of rolling the rock around in your hands carefully examining it so you can split it with a single careful strike from a special jade chisel
>>
>>52901733

Out of curiosity, I checked the core and manse splat from 2e and there doesn't seem to be anything there either. Did breaking a Hearthstone have any effect on the Manse in 1e?
>>
>>52902001
IIRC, it just took a while for the manse to create a new Hearthstone.
>>
>>52901864
Kill yourself
>>
>>52901404
whoa

have you literally divorced the mechanics from the setting?

how does that work with the charms being all inherently liturgical wordicalities?

have you unplugged the poppycock and skated the balderdash?
>>
My Dawn player spent too long in the wyld and is now five corgis. They share one mind and soul, and stay within a few feet of each other at all times. They move and act as one character.

That said, should they get some kind of special merit or merits? For size? Multitasking? Cuteness?
>>
>>52901830
according to the informal polling methodologies available to gauge engagement in the rpg community, it's been received somewhere between poorly and meh.

if it is outselling everything else opp is making, that's a problem. opp nearly lost chronicles over the zak s clusterfuck

its bad news all the way down, huh

http://blog.roll20.net/post/159952619415/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2017

it's got about 60% the audience as the great german language rpg das schwarze auge.

so it's not 'dead' per se. just buried deeply in its niche
>>
>>52902232
Yeah, here is a good merit: they can't use their charms or abilities because they're a pack of five fucking dogs.
>>
>>52902232

Tiny Creature Merit. Page 561.

"Tiny Creature: Cats add +2 Evasion against any attack made by a larger foe. In addition, larger characters subtract two successes from any Awareness-based roll made to notice it."
>>
>>52902296
Thank you sir. Would not have thought to look there.

>>52902291
Lol. Even though they've only been a mutant for half a session now, their stunts have been bananas. Supernal Melee with a Grand Daiklave. I expect someone in the party to figure out to fix them... eventually.
>>
File: Assbyssal.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Assbyssal.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>52902001

No, it just meant you didn't have the hearthstone until it reformed. Which took a while. And in 1E's land, where hearthstones could do stuff like "You literally cannot die, ever", sometimes shattering hearthstones was the only way to kill someone. It's also why in 1E manses were SUPER fucking fragile. Something that I really hated about 2E was manses were no longer these fragile places of power you had to devote resources towards to protect because the slightest thing could break one, they instead were fucking fortresses with goddamn laser canons and death traps and shit.
>>
>>52902367

That's only for white diamonds. Yellow, blue, and pink diamonds mined from the ground are genuinely scarce, which is why rich people buy and hold them as easily transportable assets. You've also got sapphires, emeralds, and rubies in ascending order of value.

The lab cooked ones are only worth what the white diamonds are.
>>
>>52902365

With the powers and fragility drawback, it could go either way. Maybe the pendulum will come to rest now that it's swung both ways, but I just hope that Manses give something more than just a Hearthstone and a roof over your head.
>>
>>52902289
>if it is outselling everything else opp is making, that's a problem. opp nearly lost chronicles over the zak s clusterfuck

Wait, how is it a problem? I mean, it's a problem that OPP might have lost chronicles (but I doubt that was what was going to happen), but Exalted outselling everything else OPP is doing is not, in any way, a problem for Exalted.

Roll20 is a single website: we also have the sales numbers, including the fact that it was Drivethru's top seller on the GM's day sale.

>>52902188
>unable to muster an actual rebuttal
>>
>>52902358
You're not supposed to be able to use your abilities if you get turned into a cat or bird or pack of five dogs.

There are multiple charms to prevent this very thing, not the least of which is destiny-manifesting method, which would let him become a dog man instead of a pack of five dogs.
>>
>>52902621
Is there a page number for that assertion? Cause its fun so far, and I'm not about to shit on one of my players' enjoyment without good reason.

Also,
>implying melee supernal dawn buys anything but melee charms
>>
>>52902892

He really should. Too many melee charms is liable to result in analysis paralysis when it comes to combat time, without much of an actual increase in power. Each of the subtrees is enough to murder people effectively, you don't need to do it three different ways.

Supernal is more about depth than width, IMO. It means you can start with a whole melee subtree, including it's capstone E5 charm if you want.

But after that, you should diversify, so you can have fun in not-punchy scenes.
>>
>>52902947
I usually go with half my charm allotment into my Supernal and the other half into utilities and other useful outside stuff.
>>
>>52902289
>nearly lost chronicles

How the hell did this happen?
>>
>>52899788
>The sections on liminals and abyssals in the book are really different, so the fear that they encroach on Abyssal themes is unfounded.
Not the guy you're replying to, but the Devs literally changed the Abyssals from the Exalted of Death to the Exalted of Murder in order to make room for the Liminals, so you are objectively wrong there.
>>
>>52902960

I usually have three abilities picked out for each character - supernal, secondary and combat.

I usually pick a charm in my supernal ability, and beeline for that, then divide the others between secondary and combat. There's a handful of other really useful no-prereq charms that I might toss in there if they suit the character concept (Harmonious Academic Methodology, Mastery of Small Manners, etc)
>>
>>52903557
That's more of a 2.5e thing. 3e Abyssals are more death-y again.

The difference really seems to be that Abyssals herald death and champion it, whereas Liminals--true to their name--tend to guard the threshold between the living and the dead.
>>
>>52903643
Their powers also seem to be different even if there is some overlap. The whole bodypart-stealing bodyhorror stick Liminals apparently will have hasn't really ever been a core part of Abyssal powers, and there is plenty of room to give them cool, thematic Charms without going into that territory.
>>
>>52901801
That may be true, but nonetheless the current crop of developers have had a far, FAR less shitty attitude than Holden and Morke and really have restored some faith.
>>
>>52903491
He's exaggerating terribly. There was a little bit of controversy over Zak Smith, but I guess WW didn't care and OPP didn't make a thing about it.
>>
Based on comments by Holdorke regarding that one splash page in the core book, and more recent comments by the current devs in the ask thread, I'm betting there will be at least one more new Exalt type, beyond Exigents, Liminals, and Germans.
>>
>>52906442
a lot more than that nigg, you been living under a rock?
>>
>>52906442

I don't think most people really think that's bad, as long as we get some fan favs first. I know a few autistic ragebabies on /tg/ throw fits, but there's always gonna be a few autists screaming about edition wars.

We got Solars, getting DBs short after, Promised Lunars soon, at that point I'm happy. I know people WANT abyssals, but honestly most players who want to play Abyssals don't seem fun to play with 8/10 times. For Antags I don't need full writeups, as helpful as they can be. I can wait.

I have chained my love for Alchemicals up in a dark dark place, I did this long ago, and would have had to with zero new exalts.
>>
>>52906477
A lot more than a number greater than or equal to one? Given the scope of positive integers, that sounds quite large.

Any predictions?
>>
>>52906442
Apparently in the splash pic where Lissome Avid Engineer appears, *all* of the Exalts there besides her are, or at least were, intended to be some new sort of Exalt.
>>
>>52906488

I'm just sad Sidereals aren't really on the radar. I'd prefer them before Lunars - if they're actually mechanically decent, you could make a good game with the sort of structure you get from the heavenly bureaucracy. Exalted's Mission: Impossible.
>>
>>52906781

I believe they were all supposed to be an Exalt that didn't appear in the previous pages - which includes Alchemicals (obviously), and Infernals, as well as "new" Exalted.
>>
>>52906822
I'm about 90 percent sure that they even said "no, there's not an Infernal in there either", but I could be wrong about that. I know for a fact that they said none of them are Liminals, Getimians, or Exigents.
>>
>>52906815
I kinda agree DESU, but fucking... Lunar fans will burn down the barn with us all in it if they don't get a book.
>>
>>52906971
Fucking... autofilter... alright
>>
>>52906358
do you think rich fired some of his best people because "there wasn't a thing?"

still laughing at how stupid the opp audience is
>>
>>52903557
uhh no, that was very much the 2e mirror charms approach that did that
>>
>>52905872
Oh absolutely!
>>
>>52901864

Why DID they get pulled off?
What act of Defiance?
>>
>>52907631

The rumour going around is that Holdorke were upset over the ways OPP treated contractors regarding remuneration, and were threatening to withhold Exalted content until they got their way.
>>
How cruel is the combat? Are players godlike or fragile glass cannons?
>>
>>52907749
Did they really think they could do that with only the two of them involved?

That's not how you do it. You start a freelancer strike with the rest of the company's freelancers. That's bound to have some effect.

Two people breaking Rich's balls and his alone was bound to end like that.

Bloody americans. That's what happens when your worker movements have all been coopted for a century. Learn to class struggle pls.
>>
>>52907853
The main thing Ex3 has over its predecessors is that it's better at making you feel threatened when you're not really in any danger.
>>
>>52899558
>>What is Exalted?
A lie.
>>
>>52907749
oh ffs
Onyx Path may not be perfect, but it feels safer there than it would with new White Wolf and that's where it'll be if Onyx Path fails, in the hands of people who apparently think a fantasy version of WoD was a mistake.
>>
>>52908146
I don't see what that's got to do with writers being underpaid..?
>>
>>52908194
More to do with the fact that the devs withholding further content after taking so long to get the corebook out could make the line fail
>>
>>52908306
Which does sound like a strong card to play to convince Rich, but isn't actually true, because as Freelancers, they can be laid off with but a word.

You're falling into the same trap as Holdorke, here. Exalted was never in danger.
>>
>>52908327

The irony is, their hissy fit - resulting in their sacking, and replacement with Vance and Minton - has probably done more to help the line than anything since the core leaks.
>>
>>52908327
If the line failed and Exalted reverted to Paradox, I doubt Rich would give a shit about the long-term future of Exalted.
>>
>>52902428
Seriously kill yourself. You care about developer drama over rpgs probably in lieu of being bitter over other drama about rpgs. Just kill yourself. Or go over to SV that's like being dead.
>>
can you use martial arts while carrying a non-form weapon(like, readied in your off hand) provided you don't use it with any of your martial arts charms?
>>
>>52906545
They've said there are at least 2 unamed ones so far, one that starts with an R.
>>
>>52906815
solars need their cock fully sucked before anything else can happen, and lunars are a solar accessory
>>
>>52906971
>DESU

you should burn
>>
>>52907913
Holden and Morke had an inflated sense of self importance. They had convinced themselves that they were the new Big Thing in the RPG industry and that Rich would have do what they wanted or else they would walk.

Rich called their bluff and proved that they weren't nearly as important or replaceable as they thought they were. In fact, judging by the communities response, everybody is fucking happy they're gone.

I really wonder how Holden and Morke feel when they realize that nobody liked them.
>>
>>52910133
Indignant, I think. In a cartoonish "I'm surronded by philistines!" way.
>>
>>52909776
So long as you don't use the non-form weapon to attack, yes.
>>
>>52910133
>I really wonder how Holden and Morke feel when they realize that nobody liked them

I know people who did like them but how they're acting now has made them go "well... fuck"
>>
>>52909050
I didn't agree it was like being dead until I saw Jon Chung popping up like he was still relevant, he may as well have been Henry VII or Abraham Lincoln
>>
File: Holden.jpg (429KB, 732x1912px) Image search: [Google]
Holden.jpg
429KB, 732x1912px
>>52912020
>but how they're acting now
>now
>NOW

Shit guys, /tg/ has known for some time they were asshats. I love how this pic has become more and more true the longer E3 has went on.
>>
File: Aasimarsorcerer.png (607KB, 1000x1468px) Image search: [Google]
Aasimarsorcerer.png
607KB, 1000x1468px
Does somebody know the name of the artist who did this?
>>
>>52910912
thanks, that's what I thought.

I figure you also shouldn't be able to parry with it? or use a martial arts dodge while attacking with a non-form weapon?
>>
>>52912516
You should be able to parry with it using the proper Ability, but not with MA.
>>
>>52912208
This is more directed rather than general arrogance
>>
>>52912331
boobs are big enough to be Nexus' work but it's not shit so I can't help you there
>>
>>52912622

Did Exaltedfag not make it himself?
>>
>>52912693
I assume not if they're asking who the artist is
>>
>>52907074
Who'd he fire over it? Hill wasn't even remotely OPP's best person, and ended up quitting over the same payment issues Morke and Holden bitched about instead of getting fired over it.
>>
>>52912856
Yeah, but distinction between quitting and being fired only matters to people who give a fuck about facts instead of only being interested in drama.
>>
>>52912886
>tfw even Holden getting fired won't stop people from obsessing over their hatecrush for him.

Let's just make a separate Holden General where we can talk about his tweets or some shit.
>>
>>52912934
But then this would fall off page 10 even faster.
>>
>>52912977
The last few threads hit bump limit without any speculation on Holden's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>52913021
Yah, because I was joking.
>>
>>52901858
Yeah, GURPS has a constant stream of ebooks. A lot of them are just different settings or whatever, but there's a steady supply and they're mostly well-written.
>>
>>52912331

ReiDuran. I know the guy, he's pretty cool.
>>
Apparently some guys on OPP forum and SV feel like one of the previewed DB Charms, Deep-Listening Palm, is underwhelming. It seems pretty damn useful to me, completely fine for an entry-level Charm, but what do you guys think?
>>
>>52914632
Seems like a fine effect. 5m cost against a DB sized mote pool seems a bit steep for what it does. But I imagine that combining it with other listening Charms will be quite useful for some character concepts.
>>
>>52913021
but not without a lot of dick sucking
>>
>>52912622
Can't be Nexus' work. He never learned to draw more than one face.
>>
>>52912886
Thing is, we don't KNOW whether they actually quit or if Rich fired them. Holden's kind of acted like BOTH were true in different conversations.

We do know however that Rich confronted them and that they tried to hold the line hostage over a payment issue which should not have been an issue.
>>
>>52914774
It's a moot point anyways, I don't care about Holden beyond his role as an Exalted writer, and now he's not an Exalted writer
>>
>>52914724
Of who, precisely?
>>
>>52914632

Most Charms in 3E feel underwhelming though. Thats what you get when you write a game about magical super demigods with their awesome powers but want to "flatten the power curve". Exalt's are fluffed like The Hulk when they're mechanic'd like Bruce Banner.
>>
>>52915298
Yes, anon, we all feel that a Dawn being able to kill only one Brotherhood of Dragon-Blooded per round is really underwhelming. An Awareness-focused Soalr being able to listen on things that have happened in the past isn't even worth mentioning, and don't even get me started on the complete non-power that is the Eye of the Unconquered Sun.

Tell it to me straight, anon: have you actually played 3E?
>>
>>52915298
What the fuck, lmfao. The Solar Exalted are people who can compete and maybe beat Mercury in a footrace, who can smash through 10 feet of solid stone in an instant, who can seduce anyone or anything, who could slay a trained soldier in three seconds without breaking a sweat, who can outmaneuver the finest tacticians with no intelligence, who can hear sounds out for miles, and god, I don't even need to go on. Of course individual charms feel underwhelming.

Characters aren't individual charms, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>52915298

you are deeply stupid
>>
>>52915506
I STd a session recently, where, against all my warnings, the players went face-to-face with a Realm Legion. The dawn ripped their hearts out, even dismantling their prized Warstrider (the 30 foot death robot) with nothing but her fists. The Zenith diverted a fucking landslide with her bare hands. The Twilight cast the Cantata of Empty Voices, routing their armies and weakening the Dragon-Blooded brave enough to stay and fight. The night stole into the enemy camp, disguised as a dragon-blooded of the Realm, and seduced a bronze faction sidereal assassin, bringing her over to the players' side in the heat of battle. Solars are pretty underwhelming in 3e.
>>
>>52915157
are you illiterate or stupid?
>>
>>52915730
Are you gay?
>>
>>52914724
Kill yourself, please? will manners work? please kill yourself?
>>
>>52915607

So how'd they do that? What Charms were involved?
>>
File: caretoomuchdude.gif (416KB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
caretoomuchdude.gif
416KB, 499x281px
>>52915752
>>52915942
Are you mad?
>>
>>52915948

Careful, you're plucking the strings.

Anon's story is technically possible, but not likely for anything but a moderately high exp party, which itself leads one to wonder why such a high essence party is fighting a mere Realm Legion.
>>
>>52916349

Thats the point, his story is most likely bullshit. Pluck the strings, tapestry comes undone.
>>
>>52916349
A Warstrider being involved makes it anything but a 'mere' legion. Putting that aside there are no 'mere' Dragonblooded either, so a Legion with multiple Dragonblooded should be dangerous.
>>
>>52915099
This
I want Exalted to have great developers who actually listen to their fans. The current devs are better than the previous devs. That's what matters to me.
>>
>>52916511
Anon, there's no argument that can be offered when you're this emotionally invested in being right.
>>
>>52916562
He wasn't asking for an argument. Not asking you to justify how a solar circle could possibly have done such a feat. He just what charms were involved.
>>
>>52916511

I'm speaking in jest.

>>52916531

Depends on the party. But I've never been particularly impressed with Warstriders, in 2e they always seemed like a big investment for a relatively low payout.
>>
>>52916626
The person I quoted has gone into this with the preconceived notion that the story is a deliberate lie, and simply wants some ammunition to prove that this is the case.
>>
>>52916552
If they really want to vent impotent rage at a dude shitcanned months ago they should get a fucking Twitter and excoriate him there instead of sobbing to us here.
>>
>>52916627
While that's true for 2E, Warstriders are more or less N/A level now (or meant to be) and there was a full circle of Dragonblooded involved in all of this.
>>
>>52915948
Party recently became essence 4. Dawn had Heart-Eating Fist, heavy investment in Resistance up to Adamant Skin Technique, investment in Dodge up to Flow Like Blood and Seven Shadow Evasion. She has a ton of staying power because of it, she was able to Rampage Berserker up to huge initiative and then kill enemies, one by one, without resetting.
Zenith used the normal Feat of Strength tree that she's had since Essence 1. She wrestled with a sidereal-summoned Octavian 1v1 with her brawl charms and forced him into retreat.
Twilight had Terrifying Apparition of Glory up while casting Cantata of Empty Voices to do massive AOE debuffs and damage. Night had perfect disguise charms and a bit of presence. Him seducing the Bronze Faction siddy was me playing softball a bit, but it seemed fun so I let it slide. Calling my actual reports of play fake is really nice, tho. That's the highest possible compliment.

Honestly I was really pissed at myself for using QCs instead of custom-making the DBs because it was honestly a bit too easy as a result, but c'est la vie, still got a crippling wound on the Twilight.
>>
>>52916736
More like 20 Dragon-Blooded.
>>
>>52916777
Another thing is that the Warstrider was probably too weak, I waaaay undershot it. This was before Vance got put in charge of Arms and we saw the incredible power of a Warstrider via previews. I think the party still could have handled it even with badass N/A evocations, though, if only because the Dawn is an absolute psycho combat monster.
>>
would a 2.5e absorption with the effect of "buy a 'spellslot' at triple the cost of a sorcery spell, and you may have at most two such spell slots. At dawn you may assign any one spell you don't already know to this slot and cast it as if you do for the day." and does nothing else be acceptable? over powered? underpowered? doesn't fit?
>>
>>52916860
>warstrider previews

I would like to know more!
>>
>>52916674
But he just wants to know what charms were used. You're not going to convince him, you know that. By saying what charms were used you're going to convince me and lurkers that the story is indeed plausible. I want to know how it was done. We always hear that a circle of solars could fight the Realm head on, but rarely actually see it unfold in the game mechanics. I don't care if the story is true, I just want to know how such a thing would actually transpire in game.
>>
>>52916924
OP picture of previous thread is pretty much all we have.
>>
>>52916860
>This was before Vance got put in charge of Arms and we saw the incredible power of a Warstrider via previews
What
Show me
>>
>>52916993
So we have no idea what the incredible power of a warstrider is
>>
>>52916978
See

>>52916777
>>
>>52917051
I mean Vance has been hyping them in the ask the devs thread on the official forums, which you can find on your own and should be checking when you hear Vance has said something instead of asking "Ooh where", but its all just hype for the most part.
>>
Speaking of Warstriders, how badly does my homebrewed one suck? The balance is supposed to be continuous mode drain vs permanent effects. The Simple Evocation provides the model for future Evocations unlockable by XP - big effects, no cost, but locked after battle until fairly onerous conditions are met. The idea is that you can use the low-power permanent effects consistently, if you want the warstrider to be part of your character concept, but unlocking it's true power is something you only do in big battles.

------------------

Black Depths Vortex is considered to be Heavy Armour. It can wield any artifact weapon its wielder is attuned to - oversized Daiklaves and the like appear to be mortal-scale weapon in its giant hands. Unarmed, it uses the stats for smashfists. The pilot of Black Depths Vortex can ignore the effects of the Legendary Size trait on any enemy it attacks. While engaged in combat, Black Depths Vortex additionally draws 10 motes a round from its pilot. Attuning to Black Depths' Vortex also unlocks the following three Evocations for free:

Not Even A Ripple
Permanent
The Overwhelming value of all attacks made against Black Depths Vortex pilot is reduced by their Essence or 3, whichever is higher, to a minimum of 1.

Surf-Pounding Blow
Permanent
Attacks from Black Depths Vortex imposes a -2 onslaught penalty. This increases to -3 if the attack deals any damage - initiative or health track. This does not affect attacks generated by Simple-type charms, other than Black Depths Vortex's own Evocations.

Harbour-Smashing Wave Strike
Simple
Make a decisive attack with any combat ability. Against a battle group, this attack is unblockable and undodgeable, and adds any successes on the attack roll to the damage roll. Rout checks caused by this Evocation suffer a penalty equal to the user's Essence. After a battle in which this Evocation was used, it is locked until Black Depths Vortex has spent a continuous month fully immersed in water.
>>
>>52917177
Not Even a Ripple sounds painfully unfun. Also its OP.
>>
File: DLC2_RingedKnight2.jpg (96KB, 559x559px) Image search: [Google]
DLC2_RingedKnight2.jpg
96KB, 559x559px
Could a solar look like this?
>>
>>52917108

In fairness, he has been hyping the power of an N/A dot Warstrider, which would qualify it for having plot level powers.

>>52917177

We have nothing to compare it against, so none of us know.
>>
>>52917269
That's definitely an Abyssal given they're undead and have a black sun motif
>>
>>52917217

Any constructive criticism?

I used Iron Kettle Body as a model for Not Even a Ripple. Reducing by 3 to a min of 1 is only slightly stronger than halving.
>>
>>52917411
It stacks with IKB and its a passive free effect. Making it conditional so if an opponent rolls 3 1s on the attack roll then it triggers would be fine.
>>
>>52917269
Do you mean, "Can a Solar equip soulsteel armor and activate Glorious Solar Saber?" If so, yes.
>>
>>52910174
Considering the exalted fanbase I think most people would think that way. Trying to get more money out of rich though was just really dumb especially for freelance contract work.
>>
>Arms of the Chosen and Dragonblooded go back to first draft.

Despite all the dicksucking people have for the new guys, it seems literally nothing is fucking changing.

I'd advise people to jump off the sinking ship, but it appears you idiots would rather drown.
>>
>>52917483

Eh, it's not exactly free - it costs 10m a round to keep the Warstrider's whole suite up. How about reducing Overwhelming for each 1 in the attack roll, capped by 3 or Essence?
>>
>>52918674
Arms moved up to Second Draft this week. The movement of the other two projects was succinctly explained on the forums.
>>
>>52918674
Arms moved back to second draft this Monday and asides from that, the only reason they went back to First Draft in the first place was because they were changing the fluff around a bit so Holdorke don't get to sue OPP.
>>
>>52916736
>Warstriders are more or less N/A level now (or meant to be)

Someone hasn't read the dev thread. There are warstriders for every artifact grade.
>>
>>52919566

Sauce on that? I've a hard time imaging a 2 or even 3 dot Warstrider.
>>
>>52915454
Except the charms don't actually let you do much of that.
When crunch cannot support fluff, you've got a problem.
>>
>>52918805

What would he have sued them about?
>>
>>52918674
HAHA. Oh shit this is funny as hell.
>>
>>52920017

Using material he hadn't sold them, I assume.
>>
>>52919702

1 dot: RB-79 Ball
2 dot: Z'Gok
3 dot: Zaku
4 dot: Char's Custom Zaku
5 dot: RX-79
N/A: Hi Ni Gundam
>>
>>52918674

Why are Dragonblooded going back to draft? Did they look too fun for non-solars?
>>
>>52920156
>Laughing at old news

hate to break it to you senpai

the joke is you
>>
>>52919854
Yes they do lol. The feat of Strength charms are what allow you to divert landslides with your bare hands. The speed charms are what allow you to race mercury. Without those charms, those are actually impossible, lol. I do not think you know the game as well as you think you do.
>>
File: WaterAspect3.png (2MB, 853x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WaterAspect3.png
2MB, 853x1024px
>>52920526
>Dragonblooded
>fun

The most fun I ever had with DB's was getting art for them. Mostly because it's really easy to find pictures with some random person tossing around elemental bullshit everywhere as thats a popular theme in fantasy. They've always been the least fun thing in the setting for me, right next to Abyssals. Their actual splats remind me of the worst parts of VtM and their players have without a doubt always been the worst experience for me as a GM.
>>
>>52920542
He used two lols, thats how you know its genuine mirth and not just autism.
>>
>>52920588

I enjoyed playing an Abyssal, but I think the idea of playing an Abyssal was better than the reality, especially because I think their 2e book at least was literally written to be unfun.
>>
>>52920614
It's funny cuz it's so counterfactual that I don't believe the person saying it has played the game.
>>
File: Abyssal4.jpg (299KB, 1280x1686px) Image search: [Google]
Abyssal4.jpg
299KB, 1280x1686px
>>52920689

For me it's more that it's damn near impossible to escape the idea they're just Solars viewed through the lens of a emo teenager whose idea of fun is cutting himself, wearing black lipstick, and mutilating stray cats.
>>
I can see why people get it into their heads that the smaller individual Charm effects are underwhelming.

But because of free Combos, the table effect is markedly different. In particular Dawns are just frigging terrifying in 3E. Under the mechanics, a full dragon of Realm heavy just disintegrates the moment a Melee Supernal Dawn crashes into it. All those "underwhelming" dice tricks add up really really fast.

(That said, I've also seen an E2 Archery-Supernal Dawn get shat on hard by missile fire from a battlegroup with a good orders roll behind them. So it's not strictly a question of SOLAR STRONK.)
>>
>>52920526
Vance wrote out Dragon Blooded Charms, but Morke didn't like what Vance wrote and told him to rewrite it and sent it back to 1st draft status. One of the biggest issues was the way the Dragon Blooded Charms didn't follow the design of Solar Charms (using things like natural language and generally following the old "fluff text and then Charm text" of older editions). Morke and Holden were worried if Dragon Blooded didn't use that, there would be a lot of comparisons between DB's and Solars, with their work on Solars looking badly in comparison. So they wanted Vance to rewrite the DB Charms to make them more like the Solar Charms.

So Vance went through and begin rewriting many of the Charms to fit into Morke and Holden's overall design for Exalted.

But now Vance is in charge so he's changing most of the stuff to back how it was. A lot of the preview Charms Vance been posting are the Charms that Morke originally panned and told him to rewrite. Vance wanted to see what the community thought of them.The reaction has been fairly positive.

And, of course, a lot Charms he wrote much later using Holden and Morke design guideline (so it's not like he has an old and new version of the Charm yet), and now he has to rewrite those to fit with his earlier design.
>>
>>52920780
>I can see why people get it into their heads that the smaller individual Charm effects are underwhelming.
>But because of free Combos, the table effect is markedly different

Nah, it's still underwhelming even then. A bunch of dice tricks adding up into a big hit still is kind of shitty.
>>
>>52920542
>lol
>lol

You know, you're kind of right. But you piss me off so much, I'm going to agree with the other guy just to spite you and then tell you to fuck off.
>>
anybody have a list of all officially published minor "thaumaturgy artifact" tier materials (adamant, ironwood, feathersteel, coldiron, unmelting ice, steelsilk, etc) for use as exotic ingredients?
>>
>>52920802
>The reaction has been fairly positive

No shit concisely written Charms would have a more positive reaction than "5 lines of fluff 2 lines of mechanics 1 line of fluff 1 line of mechanics 2 lines of fluff 3 lines of mechanics lol natural language".
>>
>>52920542
Wait. There are STs out there who, when an Athletics-oriented Solar faces up against a landslide, wouldn't let them stunt diverting it with their BRUTE STRENGTH? (With maybe a bit of Resistance to soak up the pummelling of 500 tons of rock smacking into you.)

Fuck, I'm glad I never ended up at your table.
>>
>>52920768

Perhaps. I like the whole 'lord of the dead' archetype (like Osiris, kinda) as well as the idea that Solars' dark side was always there in the UCS to begin with, as much as he might want to deny it.

Also that Solars without Abyssals were inherently out of balance, like cells reproducing without limit into cancer. Perhaps some Abyssals being around might have made the 1st age more sane.
>>
>>52920802
That's some kickass fan fiction anon. Got a source?
>>
>>52920816
>Nah, it's still underwhelming even then. A bunch of dice tricks adding up into a big hit still is kind of shitty.

Only if the only thing you care about is the dice.

The only real limit on how epic a Melee Dawn can be in a mass combat is the "no more than one Magnitude loss per turn" rule. Which I can see custom Charms fixing.
>>
>>52919566
I believe they mentioned that there were only two classifications of Warstrider now, Noble and Royal at 5 dot and N/A ratings respectively.
>>
>>52920862
I mean, if that's the kind of thing you allow with just an excellency then yeah, charms that give you more successes on feats of strength are useless. I don't see how that says anything about the system at all.
>>
>>52920968
Sorry, I wasn't really talking about you, i was talking about "system doesn't let you do that with FoS" anon
>>
>>52920937
>Only if the only thing you care about is the dice.

More of that they're really goddamn boring, mechanically. And fluff-wise, too.
>>
>>52917108
You're trying to mock me while admitting I'm right. That doesn't work, bucko.
>>
>>52918685
That would certainly be less bonkers.
>>
>>52920825
This is the true /tg/ way
>>
>>52921046
I can get behind this in the sense that when you need a half-dozen charms to combine together to create your super combo, each one feels bland. This is one of the problems with Craft. But I don't think the combat skills suffer from it nearly as badly as Craft does.
>>
>>52920780

Yeah? What's a good anti-BG build from Melee?
>>
>>52921361
The rules for Decisives against BGs mean that the multi-Decisive Charms lay out solid damage, and then you get the Initiative Break from dropping its Mag because it doesn't drop Mag until the end of the turn, after you reset (plus Essence because Dawn). So you can spam them, albeit not as spectacularly as you can with 1W2B. And BGs can't Order dice for defence. Throw in a Decisive damage booster or two for good measure and make sure your attack pool is high enough to hit them reliably.

Just make sure you take some good Parry Charms too, otherwise you'll find out what happens when a unit of Elite Realm Heavy gets a Willpower-boosted DB War Excellency driven (Specialty: Stabbing Solars In The Face) Order to stab you in the face.
>>
>>52922240

Alright, thanks. I currently have a clash build and was wondering how it might hold up, and it kind of negates my need for parry.
>>
>>52922273
According to http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/971157-seventeen-questions-and-answers-about-battle-group-mechanics , you can't Clash a Battlegroup unless you either a) are a Battlegroup with for some reason the exact same Initiative, or b) have a Charm that specifically lets you do so, or c) stunt it really really well.
>>
>>52922506
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/971157-seventeen-questions-and-answers-about-battle-group-mechanics

Alright, thanks. While we're talking about clash attacks, it's widely known that heavy weapons are shit for withering clashes due to their low accurarcy, ignoring the fact that they've +2 dice to clash attacks for a moment, does the +3 raw damage you can get from the chopping tag affect that in any way?
>>
>>52920862

Sure. You can try to do it with just stength + excellency, but there's a good chance you'll fail. The Feat of Strength charms don't give you permission to try, they increase your chance of success.
>>
>>52922606
>Alright, thanks. While we're talking about clash attacks, it's widely known that heavy weapons are shit for withering clashes due to their low accurarcy, ignoring the fact that they've +2 dice to clash attacks for a moment, does the +3 raw damage you can get from the chopping tag affect that in any way?

It's a nice bonus but the important thing in a Clash is to win, and light weapons are better there. (On the upside, your -1 Defence is irrelevant, so there's that.)

If you're gonna go heavy, go for Smashing erry time. Unlike all the other Heavy tags, that actually gives you a new capability.
>>
>>52920862
In the dev thread, Minton already said that having all the strength charms wouldn't let you pick up a house because its too unrealistic. Somehow I think the dev position might be similar for rockalanches.
>>
>>52922995
>The Feat of Strength charms don't give you permission to try, they increase your chance of success.

Feat of Strength is pretty much the poster boy for "you must be this tall to ride", though.
>>
>>52923130
Minton went out of his way to say that this was because the house would not have the structural integrity to withstand the force placed on it by a Solar capable of lifting that weight. Not that said Solar could not exist - it's pretty easily possible given the FoS Charms in the core. But that the house would fall apart in their hands.

If you stunt this shit hard, and you damn well better be, then there's no such excuse. If you come out with something like "I plant my feet in the ground in front of the crying orphans, spread my trunk-thick arms out, and roar my defiance as the torrent of boulders and dirt tumbles past, over, and around... but not through, never through." at my table, you're diverting that landslide.
>>
>>52923232
Bro, I'm on your side in this. I just think that at least one of our current devs is not down with the rule of cool. If you brought up the landslide thing, they'd probably say "nah man, fuck your table, the rocks just go over you, you aint big enough dawg".

This concerns me.
>>
>>52923440
He's not down for the rule of cool in this particular instance, valuing the reality of not being able to pick up an entire mountain at once without it crumbling around you. So no you can't pull the Superman shit where you can pick up entire buildings. This is one of the most complained about things in super strength fiction, how terribly they ignore the laws of physics when picking up stuff.

Further, diverting a landslide is more on the feat of demolition side, 20 successes is tear open the earth to create a crevasse. Which seems about the force necessary to divert a landslide, slam the ground so hard it ripples around you for something man.
>>
>>52923623
Not sure how picking up a house is less realistic then ripping a crevice in the ground. Wouldn't your hands just go through the dirt rather than transferring their kinetic energy throughout a large area and splitting the ground exactly how you intend?
>>
>>52920855
Can I get some concisely written Solar Charms? Please?
>>
>>52923680
I'd argue there's less of a suspension of disbelief when someone's overwhelming strength is used in a destructive manner rather than in a constructive manner. The former requires very little control, cutting loose with all your power, while the latter requires you apply your crazy super strength but then not break certain things with it.

From my experience that's what how I've seen people react, I mean for a while they rewrote Superman's powers from just muscle strength to tactile telekinesis to explain how he carried planes and shit without his hands punching through the metal and I'm constantly seeing it brought up when discussing other shows and comics. So to me, it makes sense they'd want to push back against such a convenient secondary power in Exalted.
>>
>>52920937
>"no more than one Magnitude loss per turn" rule.

No such rule exists. Perhaps you're referring to hourserules your group has made up?
>>
>>52923145
This is a good thing.
>>
File: 1492087449293.jpg (53KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
1492087449293.jpg
53KB, 736x414px
So what are some good war charms to take? I'm Esse 2 going on 3. Group has done some mass combat and asked my to cover the war skill since none of them really did.
>>
>>52923623
>This is one of the most complained about things in super strength fiction, how terribly they ignore the laws of physics when picking up stuff.

I always hate shit like this, because frankly, it's just retarded in comparison to the other shit you can do with Charms. You've got people leaping through the air doing anime cutscene attacks (Athletics), hurling hadoken's (Brawl), shooting lasers from their swords/eyes/assholes/whatever (Solar Melee and other), outright warping reality to better fit their view of what reality should be (Sorcery, some Lore stuff)...But "picking up a house intact" is too fucking unrealistic for them? Diverting a river or landslide is too unrealistic?

It always astonishes me how fucked up people are when it comes to their views on things. "Realistic" went right the fuck out the window the moment you played Exalted, why are you going to arbitrarily inject it back in when you think it should suddenly be more realistic? Lifting very heavy shit and performing feats of completely unrealistic strength have been around literally forever as a mythological thing and as a thing in pop culture in general, and is exactly the sort of thing that belongs in Exalted without this lame-ass "Oh buh buh a HOUSE would crumble becuz physics" when physics and natural laws went right the fuck out the window the moment you could pull a windstorm out of your ass and ride it across the countryside.
>>
>>52924593
Now I just wanna shoot lasers out of my Solar's ass.
>>
>>52924593
A little too weeaboo anon. Using magic to alter reality or leaping though the air is fine and all. But deflecting a house? Making crators in the ground? Utter weeabooism.
>>
>>52924161
Shit, you're right. By the book you can tear 5 Rout checks out of a unit in a single attack if you hit it with enough damage. Don't know where I got that idea from - the leak perhaps?
>>
>>52924593

The difference is that one is supernatural (the solar) and one is mundane (the house). The setting of Exalted is grounded in realism intentionally, so that the supernatural elements POP. The house obeys the laws of physics, the Solar does not.

A Solar can easily gain the strength to lift a house, and if that house is, idk, made from solid steel or something, then it would have the structural integrity to not fall apart. In any case, the distinction between the mundane and supernatural is vitally important to Exalted.
>>
File: OOHHH.jpg (29KB, 459x465px) Image search: [Google]
OOHHH.jpg
29KB, 459x465px
>>52924952
>The setting of Exalted is grounded in realism intentionally
>people actually think this
>>
>>52925070
It is, you're just a dumb fuck and can't see it.
>>
>>52925167

Yeah man those peasants being able to jump over castle walls sure was realistic for the past 2 editions. I'm not even checking if that'll be possible in 3E, I just assume it is.
>>
>>52925167

so are you going to show your math on how the kung fu dark age flat earth is based on real life or just be another post to ignore?
>>
>>52925070
>>52925167
I think the more accurate statement is that most of Creation is ground in reality. The Wyld and Yu Shan could not give a shit.

Creation was made to be stable and mundane so that way all the supernatural stuff can be fought with much more stability.

You notice Solars bend the rules of creation, Sidereals bend the rules of Fate, Terrestrials bend the rules of the Elemental Poles.

Things like the Wyld and Demons are not bound by any rules other than what Creation forces upon them.

Thus Creation is made to be mundane to better enforce rules, which in turn makes what the Exalted do so much more epic as they bend and break those rules.
>>
>>52925232

okay but literally everything has an assigned god that can physically interact with and radically alter their domain with minimal effort

literally everything is made of tiny baby spirits that are vassals to said gods of the domains

being a mortal is convincingly MORTAL and it's possible for peasants to never see something strange in their entire life save for maybe a god's silhouette at a festival or shadow of a ghost in the night or some such

but there's a million things that just prey on mortals for various, petty things. it's totally common to run into malign spirits as a mortal and there's nothing they can really do about it except hope a professional handles it.

that's not realistic. that's some Witcher shit.
>>
>>52925194

You're full of shit and trying to use 2e's retarded jumping mechanics to infer an in setting fact which isn't true at all.
>>
>>52925337

Yeah man everyone in the setting being constructed on a tapestry by mechanical spiders is realistic. So is them being able to just tap into their essence and learn to shoot fire from kung fu.

It's really realistic, man. It's especially realistic when they can amass cults and gain WP from it, or doubly really realistic when they walk over to a river to catch a fish and have a giant serpent clamber on out and eat them. And then rise as a vengeful ghost because half their soul is mad as shit because fuck river dragons.

Because the setting is so grounded in realism.
>>
>>52925229

I said there is a clear distinction between the mundane and supernatural aspects of Exalted, dumbass. By 'realism' I mean that the common everyday aspects of life function the same in Creation as they do irl and the writers take great effort to explain how people live in the context of Creation - it isn't just handwaved away like in Forgotten Realms, a setting which doesn't make any fucking sense. Mortals die of disease, they don't run up vertical walls, they don't write epic poems in the blink of an eye, etc. The same is true for every other mundane facet of life - trees, animals, buildings, whatever, they all are grounded in realism.

Its the background to epic high flying wuxia heroes to make them stand out.
>>
>>52925424

The mundane aspects of life are grounded in realism, the other parts are not. What part of this is so hard to understand?
>>
>>52925424

>It's really realistic, man. It's especially realistic when they can amass cults and gain WP from it, or doubly really realistic when they walk over to a river to catch a fish and have a giant serpent clamber on out and eat them. And then rise as a vengeful ghost because half their soul is mad as shit because fuck river dragons.

Of these three things, two are supernatural - yeah anyone can get power from having a cult or can die and rise as a hungry ghost.

A giant serpent eating some poor peasant is no different from some poor sap getting killed by a lion or whatever. Sure, Creation has fantastical beasts, but peasants don't react to getting attacked by dancing on the edge of its mouth with sick break dancing moves, then lassoing the giant serpent with a fishing line and surfing it back to the village....they just get eaten. Y'know, because thats what would happen if you got attacked by a giant serpent.
>>
>>52924593
Just create a charm for it bro.

ATLAS STANCE AKEMI:
Propping herself to the ground, the Solar emblazons the boundless, all encompassing strength the kind of the Titans of old. The world itself is tiny pebbles in her hand.

This charm enhances a feat of strength, allowing it to lift or throw whole structures that should usually break under such strength. A cart, a house, a tree - it doesn't matter for the character, who can perform miraculous feats like lifting a tree through its thinnest branch.
>>
>>52925880
shhh... Anon, what're you doing, you're not supposed to make simple solutions to the problem, just endlessly bitch about it here.
>>
>>52925880
Give it some other benefit too, so it's not just enabling something you should by all rights be able to do already.
>>
>>52925935
>simple solutions to the problem

This falls solidly under the "air breathing mermaid" sort of problem.
>>
>>52926081
Charms are used to make the impossible possible.

It is impossible to lift a plane superman style.

A charm now makes it possible to lift a plane superman style.

It's all pretty straightforward. If you really want it to, add 'without a stunt' to the charm effect's description. This implies that a good stunt can allow you to do that already, and as a ST it seems logical to me - the other way to make the impossible possible is stunting.
>>
>>52924593

The thing is, those things you listed are explicitly the effects of supernatural charms. You should be able to use charms to do supernatural things - but you shouldn't be able to do supernatural things by just rolling high. Afterall, it's technically possible for a mortal to get 22 successes on a FoS roll.

High numbers should let you do exceptionally hard things exceptionally well, but doing things that flat out violate the laws of physics should require charms (and not just excellencies).
>>
>>52920855

Careful, at that rate you might start asking for templating and editing. We know where that ends, D&D 4e!
>>
>>52921358

Eh, they still have a lot of 'Oooh, look at this dice manipulator that adds a bonus per 1 the enemy rolls'.

I'd honestly prefer a lot less dice manipulators (Unless they do something really strange) and more charms that do something fancy. Dice manipulators are potent but they are rarely interesting.
>>
>>52926271
Too accessible! You'd actually know what these things do at a glance!
>>
>>52926233

>High numbers should let you do exceptionally hard things exceptionally well, but doing things that flat out violate the laws of physics should require charms (and not just excellencies).

Mind you, that was part of the serious issue 2e Abyssals had. Where while they were exalts with excellencies and all...they lacked charms to interact with a lot of stuff worth a damn because someone wasn't sure how to include it in a My Chemical Romance music video so they'd basically auto-lose no matter how much skill they had.

>>52926308

The monsters!
>>
>>52926271
D&D 4e has more errata in the core book than Exalted 2e. Still like the game, but, let's be real.
>>
>>52926357

Yeah but the basic format is rather straightfoward. Most of the errata is shit like 'No, bad players. You can't have the dominated guy dance about the storm pillar like it's a maypole to taser him a dozen times in one turn.' Balance rather than core functionality.

Honestly, I think Exalted could learn a bit from the base formatting ideas. Especially dice adders/manipulators. Those are not really parts that need natural language/much fluff since they work with rather meta concepts.
>>
>>52926399
>Honestly, I think Exalted could learn a bit from the base formatting ideas. Especially dice adders/manipulators. Those are not really parts that need natural language/much fluff since they work with rather meta concepts.

Oh yeah. Clearly stating that "This adds charm dice," or "this adds bonus dice" would go a long way.
>>
I think the idea that Charms can either be written exactly as they are in the Ex3 corebook OR as boring super-standardised full-on legalese is a false dychotomy.

The Arms and DBs previews have shown that there's at least one relatively satisfactory intermediary degree between these two extremes.

That we are still arguing about this whole thing seems asinine to me.
>>
>>52927162
>The Arms and DBs previews have shown that there's at least one relatively satisfactory intermediary degree between these two extremes.

And yet there was already one moron in the OPP forums asking for more fluff in the charm text.
>>
There is any Roll20 game related to this thread to which I csn pitch an oversexualized extra thkcc solar character?
>>
>>52927489
no
>>
Yasal crystals are 1 dot for essence 2, 2 dot for essence 3, would the pattern continue for one of the yellow wyrm's essence 5 teeth at 4 dots? Or should rarity make it higher?
>>
>>52927489
There was a paid GM ERP ad in the gamefinder thread.
>>
>>52928271
That's just a slut, isn't
>>
shit?
https://pastebin.com/zcW8YBre
>>
>>52926823

Frankly, the term "charm dice" was a bad choice. There are dice not provided by charms, which are subject to the "charm dice" limit. Every die should have been subject to the cap, unless it was explicitly called out as cap-breaking.
>>
>>52899558

How do i get into this animu game with women whose breasts are so massive that their side boob is the size and shape of an entire large breast?
>>
>>52928794
Whore, actually
>>
>>52928206
I really should just post in the ask a dev forum, but yasal crystals are constantly getting banned in every game in my area.... Sometimes because of me, but that's not the point. The ability to summon a demon, throw it in a crystal, and access it's charms (or have your Dawn access it's charms) is OP as shit, even for exalted.

It was even worse in 2nd edition. I played in a DB game, and being able to access pretty much any 1st circle demon's charms was absurdly strong for a low XP DB.
>>
>>52923791
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/833007-complete-ex3-solar-charm-rewrite
>>
>>52929916
I'd make them fragile and double the dot ratings. possibly also a "defeat to capture" mechanic so you can't just touch them, and make it so you can't order them into the crystal with sorcery(at the very least you should need thaumaturgy to call up an unbound demon into a warded killbox instead)

either that or make the small crystals disposable at artifact 1.
>>
>>52929916

What spirits charms re worth taking?
>>
>>52930468
Ummm. Principle of Motion?
>>
>>52931340

Grand if you've not specced into Melees Multiattacks or Single point, I guess. Anything else?
>>
>>52931599
Basically all the combat charms of spirits are super souped up and being able to use them with Solar charms combined makes them utterly broken.
>>
>>52929916
>>52930436
The absolute pokemon-ness of Yasal crystals always gave me giggles.
>>
File: BustyChubbyBlondeWarrior.jpg (407KB, 1000x1630px) Image search: [Google]
BustyChubbyBlondeWarrior.jpg
407KB, 1000x1630px
>>52927489

No, but have a pic with some thicc.
>>
Need some ideas for my game tomorrow. Players are on their way from Goldenseal(Which I have made as Not-Egypt) to Gem. What interesting things could I have happen along the way?
>>
>>52930185
Thank you baby jesus
>>
>>52934560
Well, what kind of game is it? What's the Circle's aims? Are they along as protectors for a caravan? Have the Dune Folk or those beastwoman sisters attack. Are they themselves treasure hunters? Drop some mysterious ruins in their path.
>>
Which homebrews are you using for lunars and DBs right now?
>>
>>52934890
I plan to use A Clutch of Dragons for my upcoming game, heard good things but I haven't read through in depth though.
>>
>>52934656
Trying to find the Twilights factor cathedral, they found reference to one a few hundred miles south of Gem. They will be traveling with a caravan.
>>
>>52935038
>caravan

Time for bandits and gods attempting to extort the wrong caravan.
>>
How long do you think it took Vance's optimism about the ask thread to turn to abject regret and frustration?

Page 60? 70? 80?
>>
>>52936393
Depends on how stupid the questions are. I don't really visit those fourms due to how retarded half the fanbase is. So likely within a few pages.
>>
>>52936546
Yet you still come here.
>>
>>52936972
Strangely enough I find this place while having some pretty stupid arguments isn't nearly as bad as the forums.

SV, Onyx path, and rpgnet for some god forsaken reason tend to have much worse idiocy when exalted gets involved then this place by far.
>>
File: Where Angels Fear to Thread.png (66KB, 627x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Where Angels Fear to Thread.png
66KB, 627x1600px
>>52937040

The forum is worth returning to now if only because it gives an open line of communication to the devs.I've made more posts in the Ask the Devs thread in the last month than any other part of the forum in the last two years.

What do you think of the Discord?
>>
>>52937040
yeah, i gotta agree here. there's dipshits out here (see: half this thread and their abject REFUSAL to discuss their over-strong opinions aside from "it's correct") but the cool thing about here is that you can pretend they never happened, and shitty posts are met with direct ridicule or hostility.

on OPP forums and other places, hostility and shitty posts are met with fake kindness and "hmm i wonder why you feel that way? :)" tones that come off more like everyone's duty is to just fellate their favorite subject matter.

>>52937078
the discord never has anything fun to say and sticks to civility so there's never anything worthwhile coming out of it. i've only ever gone there for advice on ideas and 4/5 times it happened, a well-respected person in the server would DM me their advice while saying "yeah sorry everyone else there is a dumb fucking asshole, they really don't like anything that isn't X"

where X usually means "2e" but it can mean other things too.
>>
>>52936393
Honestly, if it hasn't happened *already* I don't think it's going to, at least not to the degree it would've happened with the last batch of jokers.
>>
>>52937196

What the hell do you need help on then where everyone else is a dumb asshole?

I may not like 2.Xe, but I still know quite a bit about it.
>>
>>52937078
>only because it gives an open line of communication to the devs

Devs will tend to say whatever will help PR the most instead of what they'll really do. I do visit sometimes for charm previews though.

>What do you think of the Discord?

Haven't been there for a while but from what I remember they rarely talk about exalted in the first place. Better then the forums a lot of the time though. Especially for bouncing off exalted concepts.

I haven't been on that for a while now.
>>
>>52937263

usually evocations. nobody liked agreeing on the "right" way to do those before Arms came out.

i shit you not, i was assured once that "summon a storm" with your sword was considered too extreme for a five-dot artifact before Arms came out. thanks for nothing discord group!
>>
>>52937343
> "summon a storm"

Maybe if it was something like summon a 200 miles long storm that will fling lighting everywhere you want per round or something. But just a storm? That's within level 3 for me personally.
>>
>>52937343

To be fair I had a lot of the same shit levelled towards me and my own works. I remember one person saying to me, "This is probably the most powerful artifact I have ever seen and would never allow this at my table"... only to completely ignore the bullshit Volcano Cutter does.

Granted without Arms I probably wouldn't have expected using Solar Circle Solar as a capstone charm, but even then I still think a storm is fine. Ask yourself "What you can do" rather than "What I can't do".
>>
>>52937316

>Devs will tend to say whatever will help PR the most instead of what they'll really do

I'm mostly looking for charm and rule clarifications when I post. Something I would have never done with Holden at the helm.

>Haven't been there for a while but from what I remember they rarely talk about exalted in the first place.

Are we on the same server? The one I see discusses Exalted quite a good deal. Is the one you're talking about called "Exalted gaming"?
>>
>>52938341
It has been a while since I visited so I could have just been there at a bad time.
>>
>>52937455
Well power isn't a single line.

An artifact could be very powerful at one thing, or make you good at many different things, or have an exploit making breaking the system trivial.

The artifact's powers could also be really vague or poorly written, allowing a canny player to interpret it anyway they want.
>>
>>52937078
Is homestuck general even still a thing?
>>
>>52937196
>on OPP forums and other places, hostility and shitty posts are met with fake kindness and "hmm i wonder why you feel that way? :)"
Well on other forums you know the mods are going to ban that guy in a couple of months anyway, so why eat the bait and possibly get caught in the banhammer crossfire?

Much better to reply back in a calm slightly passive-aggressive manner - it's hard to prove, makes baiting them easy, and, once a Calibration, they might be just an ok dude having a shitty day.
>>
>>52936393
Uhh, never? He should be mad at Molden for writing such unclear rules.
>>
>>52939311
There's a lot of non-rules questions to the tune of "So, would you say that warstriders will be able to do X, or do you murder puppies with a clawhammer while masturbating?"
>>
>>52936393
Isn't there one point where there's a mod post telling people to not carry on conversations or answer questions if they're not devs, and they stop for about 2 pages then get back to it?
>>
>>52939978
yes, and I don't think *anybody* actually gives a shit because that was mainly to shut down one tangent more than to actually set thread policy.
>>
>>52940021
its better they speak up sooner rather than later. anywhosits, i really feel like some questions get glossed over.
>>
>>52940092
yeah, but really there's only so many they could reasonably answer in detail.
>>
Anyone want to sum up everything that went wrong with the Kickstarter and 3e for me to crosspost to the Eclipse Phase general? Their second edition kickstarter went live earlier this week.
>>
>>52942316
The internet doesn't have enough storage space to put all that in plain text.

We'll need some sort of compression cypher.
>>
>>52942316

Did Eclipse Phase hire Holden or Morke as Devs? Because that was 99% of what was wrong with the Kickstarter.
>>
>>52942392
>Did Eclipse Phase hire Holden or Morke as Devs? Because that was 99% of what was wrong with the Kickstarter.
No but their devs are rather political.
>>
>>52942392
Don't forget a bunch of dumbass backer rewards that cost them stupid amounts of money and took them years to complete (which they haven't yet).

Your kickstarter doesn't need its own OST.
>>
>>52942316

1. They unwisely published some provocative material (the infamous Abyssal "Rape Ghost" charms), although the internet reaction was, as always, more than it merited.

2. As a result, they clammed up and refused to divulge any information at all.

3. They underestimated their time frame by an order of magnitude (and no, that can't all be explained away by health issues from one of the devs)

4. They refused to offer any concrete timeline as to when anyone would get their books.

5. The devs were dicks to fans (the "bad rules you think you want" comment being representative)
>>
>>52942506
>Your kickstarter doesn't need its own OST.
>both UA3 and Talislanta - The Savage Land have soundtracks
>UA3 delivered all three soundtracks before anything beyond pre-layout rulebooks and the novel had been released
>>
>>52942539
>the infamous Abyssal "Rape Ghost" charms
Anybody have the Abyssal preview? I've only got the DB, Infernal, and Liminal ones.
>>
File: Abyssal 3e.pdf (757KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Abyssal 3e.pdf
757KB, 1x1px
>>52942863
>>
>>52942995

>seven dicks
>>
>>52942778
Not saying its not possible. Im saying its unnecessary.
>>
File: AbyssalShocked.jpg (21KB, 184x262px) Image search: [Google]
AbyssalShocked.jpg
21KB, 184x262px
>>52943055
>>
>>52943317
Is that man part lamprey?
>>
>>52942995
Tbqh familia prissima, I fucking love those charms. They are cool and thematically awesome.

>Elegant Corpse Conciliation
>Black Rose Blooming
>Heart Enslaving Whispers
>Breath of Possession

Fuck. I want to play a vamp abyssal now. Why didn't /tg/ tell me those charms were great?
>>
>>52944090
Yeah, I do hope that they still go for that theme there.
>>
>>52944156

Yeah, but publishing them when you've been actively recruiting the SJW market segment as your audience is not the smartest move.
>>
>>52944531

>SJW market segment

No such market exists and I should laugh at you for claiming it does.
>>
>>52944561
It totally does exist, but frankly? Exalted panders relatively lightly to it. We got Prince Diamond in the core, and a couple more trans/non-binary characters slated for Dragon-Blooded. If you want to see REAL pandering to that segment, check out some of the WoD/CofD lines.
>>
>>52944606

I meant White Wolf publishing as a whole, not just the Exalted franchise. You know, the guys who published Beast.
>>
>>52944643

Onyx Path, rather.
>>
>>52944643
Don't fucking remind me that exists, anon.
>>
>>52944606

>It totally does exist

No it doesn't. It's an arbitrary label that people put on others that only exists in their head. If you sincerely believe it actually exists then you're an idiot.
>>
>>52945321
If you sincerely believe that it *doesn't* exist then you're an idiot. It is neither arbitrary nor imagined, it is highly specific and refers to an actual subset of people.
>>
>>52933275
Really?
This should be fixed.
>>
>>52945631
Much as I like thicc it is also just a little bit too Liefeldian Escher Girl for me to enjoy as well.
>>
>>52945644
Back to the Roll20 question I am surprised there is no text only based campaign being pitched here.
>>
You know how anyone who kills the Unconquered Sun gets the Solar Exalted triggered, an Essence level bump and a bunch of new Charms?

Hypothetically speaking, if the entire Solar Host stabbed the Unconquered Sun all at once such that they would all be made targets of that death curse what would happen?

Could they perfectly defend it away?
>>
File: stupidretard.png (230KB, 651x721px) Image search: [Google]
stupidretard.png
230KB, 651x721px
>>52945690
>>
>>52913281
Is that you EF?
>>
>>52912622
>>52914741
Who?
>>
>>52945690
>What would happen?
The setting implodes if the entire solar host were to do a single thing.
>>
>>52932178
>pokemon
>yasal

I don't see it
>>
>>52947110
Least gods:gotta catch'em all.
>>
>>52929916
The issue is that everything is RP dependent. There is no automation. If the spirit does not want to play ball, he won't, and you need to convince him to help you. Potentially each time you need his help.

As a ST that limits a lot what one can do with a Yasal crystal. It is an external source of power, and unreliable. Even 5 seconds passed convincing a demon to help you in a pinch is time lost.

>>52932178
I'd create true pokemon balls myself, just for shit a giggle. Artifacts that allow you to really tap, automatically, in the spirit charms of the imprisoned spirit for some number of time. Artfiact *** and **** for E2 and E3, respectively.

Or maybe a crystal that work like an hearthstone but is working by trapping a spirit instead. That seems actually fine.
>>
>>52947193
The RP issue is a non issue without some houseruling. Summoned demons want to help you. At least in 2nd you had weird, absiatic rules that demons can use to resist, but in 3rd they have a defining intimacy to being your bitch. RAW they can't refuse getting in your crystal scrotum and blowing their charm moneyshot on command
>>
>>52937403
I don't think people understand how massive scale events storms are.
>>
>>52945471
It exists as much as "alt-right" does. In that it's a term primarily used as a pejorative but also occasionally claimed by people, partly for tribal reasons and partly as a means of trolling those who normally use it as a pejorative.

However, in both cases it's referring to a tendency that is identifiable. There just isn't a clear definition of either which doesn't boil down to "muh outgroup am bad".

So when someone talks about the "SJW market segment" what they mean is triggered Tumblrites, genderspecials and otherkin. Now, you could claim that they don't buy games anyway, but where's your proof? That SJW-inflected shit doesn't sell well? No, that's actually wrong; Ex3 is SJW-inflected and it's selling like hotcakes.

No, the stuff that doesn't sell well is the stuff that intentionally insults or pisses off its base in order to be SJW-oriented - see comics for a good example.

So really it's not that there isn't an SJW market segment; there clearly is or Anita Sarkeesian would never have made her fortune. It's that pissing off your base is a fucking stupid idea. And everyone already knew that.
>>
>>52947929
>And everyone already knew that.

Well, apart from Holden and Morke obviously.
>>
>>52937196
>where X usually means "2e" but it can mean other things too.
What? In my experience the Discord has a huge 3e boner and 2e stuff gets swept into its own little garbage bin. I've asked for some help with some of my Evocations and someone there caught an infinite loop it would've created. I'm also pretty sure some of the mods hang out in /exg/.
>>
>>52947843
How massive scale events are storms, then?
>>
anybody have a link to 2e corebook with actual searchable text? doesn't matter if it isn't pretty
>>
>>52944561
This lucky bastard has never been on the RPG.net forums
>>
>>52948152
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/svr/type/home.rxml
The closest to Stormcaller's size would be what is called a pulse thunderstorm, but the effects of hurricane-level winds are insanely destructive.

What hurricane wings is something called a storm surge. A storm surge picks up water from coasts and starts battering away at everything with the ridiculous weight of 1700 pounds per cubic yard. In a setting like Exalted, it'd tear up the water from dammed rice fields, obliterate crops, topple trees and much more.

Four range bands is about three-four miles tops, so if the wielder is the eye of the storm of the hurricane, which means everything within those four range bands is within the "eye wall", which is host to the most damaging winds.

If the entire storm is compressed into that four range band area, the wind speed would be so incredible that letting go of a pencil would make it puncture through a human skull after a single rotation.
>>
>>52948429
4 range bands is not even 1 mile.
>>
>>52945678

Probably because no one wants to beat off to text written by a bunch of other neckbeards also beating off to text. Just go find a White Wolf based game chat, they've got plenty of that shit there, they're all a bunch of wankers.
>>
>>52948547

Based on what?

>Within seconds, the sky grows dark, the wind picks up, and rain begins to fall out to four range bands from her.

>Close - 1 - Short - 2 - Medium - 3 - Long - 4 - Extreme.

>A final range, extreme range, also exists. At this range, opponents are distant specks; communication is generally impossible, as is combat.

Shouting distance is about a three hundred feet in optimal conditions, which is something you need to do to communicate to medium, but cannot do within long+. You cannot even wave or point to a direction at extreme range to visually communicate, that's how far away it is.
>>
>>52948164
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.