[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 449
Thread images: 59

File: Beholderkin.jpg (102KB, 825x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Beholderkin.jpg
102KB, 825x1275px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Make sure to fill out the official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/... >>52865599
>>
What does everyone want from UA today?
>>
https://strawpoll.com/rb3aag1
Reminder to vote for your favorite setting
>>
>>52872854
races, psionic subclasses, weapons, spells, overall new things to try out, preferably ones that aren't absolutely useless or take a million years to use in practice.
>>
>>52872854
something useful
new class maybe

speaking of which, how often do UA's come out?
>>
>>52872903
weekly.

although, after this, back to monthly.
>>
>>52872903
they used to be once a month, but last year they started to release them once a week on mondays.

they might stop the weekly releases in the future, though.
>>
>>52872903
Was monthly, went weekly for a while, back to monthly in May
>>
Fucking racial feats? Are you kidding me?
>>
>>52872855
Who made this? I thought it was just a /5eg/ thing but now its at 941 votes
>>
File: 1482083128835.jpg (61KB, 629x402px) Image search: [Google]
1482083128835.jpg
61KB, 629x402px
>>52872921
>>52872946
>>52872948
Thanks brothers
>>
>>52872972
Just got word that it's racial feats. Feats for Races. Fuck.

>>52872983
I made it, but I also posted it on reddit because I only got 50 responses on here.
>>
>>
>>52872854
I'd like pretty much anything I can toy with.
>>
>>52873001
aw fuck.
>>
>>52872902
>Psionic subclasses

All the others I'd be fine with but they need to either polish the Swiss army mystic or make the subclasses from the parts of mystic not both.
>>
>>52873001
ALL BOW BEFORE THE HALFLING DIVINER, DESTROYER OF DIE!
>>
>>52873005
So no female genitals?
Not because you can't get any but because you're a fag. Sorry that was a super shitty joke. I shouldn't have even written it but I couldn't stop myself and now I'm stuck in a loop please send help
>>
>>52873001
>racial feats
FUCK
>>
How does learning spells work for each class? I can only find a clear answer for wizards and sorcerers. How do Druids and clerics learn new spells for example?
>>
>>52873061
Is this a mechanical or fluff question?
Mechanical: druids and clerics know all spells from their spell list.
>>
>>52873001
This is so fucking lame
>>
>>52873061
Read the spellcasting rules located on the class's page in the PHB.
>>
I'm dm'ing Curse of Strahd, killed my monk dragon born character by throwing his HP into the negatives in Death House, but let him accidentally come back from unconsciousness with a healing words

Instead of overlooking this mistake I have decided to slowly have the player realize he's become a Revenant, by having him dreaming of falling backwards (it's how he died) until he stops dreaming at all, having him smell foul next to clerics like Madam Eva or Van Richten, and phasing out all the food and drug effects he like to have his character embibe.

A decision the player unwittingly all but embraced when he picked to go Long Death Monk.

The thing is tho, I like my concept but I have no idea where I'm going with this. I'm thinking of restoring him back to life if he redeems Argynvost Holt, or maybe something with the Amber temple? No clue.

Give me your pitches tg
>>
File: 1481040636498.jpg (38KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
1481040636498.jpg
38KB, 600x722px
>>52873001
Some of those aren't that bad, definitely will make it interesting.
>>
>>52873093
Mechanical
Does this mean clerics could only learn spells from their domain?

>>52873104
Yeah, the thing is for wizards it says the learn 2 for free each level and can choose them from the class spell list. They can copy the rest into their spellbook if they find them. Sorcerers have a fixed number of spells known. I can't seem to find that under spell casting for the other classes.
>>
>>52873039
When almost everyone is running around with some sort of sword, do you really think the swiss army knife ought to be dismantled?
>>52873051
There, there.
Wh4k general has had worse today.
>>
>>52873001
Determination!!
>>
>>52873152
Cleric domain spells are bonus spells. They prepare like druids, otherwise.
>>
>>52873171
Only if they're going to start making subclasses of psionics within other classes. Either keep the Swiss army knife that is pretty much a gathering of subclasses for each class or put those into their respective classes.
>>
File: IMAG0573.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0573.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>52873195
Yes, I understand the preparation. But, when a cleric levels up and say unlocks his third level spell slot, can he learn a third level spell from the classes spell list for free?
>>
>>52872972

At least some are good
>>
>>52873141
Uneasiness and such go well with Curse of Strahd. Being in the unknown for the player might be a great enhancement to the atmosphere.

Perhaps, when achieving great goals in the campaign (such as Argynvost), allow to PC to appear alive, perhaps spectral, perhaps even ethereal, as a kind of cleansing of self.

Tease the PC with loss of this 'clean' self, and a sense of urgency as the revenant's period draws closer to termination.

Then have one of the gifts in the amber temple straight up offer the sweet touch of life, or truth about his goal.
>>
>>52873141
motherfucker there's no negatives in 5e

though, if one attack does like, your HP in damage and 0's you, you're dead
>>
>>52873269
I agree, but the majority of it is lame
>>
>>52873227
I can see some sort of psionic monk,
Like "pick x disciplines from the wu-jen list, you may spend ki points to use them" or the like.
Like the EK, you pick from the wizard list, right?
>>
>>52873233
they're all learned you fucking moron
>>
If you multiclass something with warlock, a paladin/warlock for example, when you take the first level of warlock and you have paladin at something like level 9, do you have to take warlock spells that are for level one slots or do you get to take the spells that you could cast with your level 2/3 paladin slots?
>>
>>52873233
Clerics don't have individual spell lists. You prepare your spells from the Cleric Spell list.
>>
>>52873309
Warlock level 1 spells.
>>
>>52873001
What a disappointment.
>>
>>52873309
You take level one warlock spells, but the warlock spells you know can be used with your paladin slots, and the paladin spells you know can be cast with the pact magic slots
>>
Items from class and background or rolling gold?
>>
>>52873320
>>52873388
Thought so. Thanks.
>>
>>52873001
I mean, it's sad this is all they have to offer. You know that Mearls or someone sits down and spits this out over the course of an hour and then releases it, right?

>Elven Accuracy
Elf supremacy confirmed, true strike is useful now.
>>
>>52873413
Both.
>>
I WANT TO PLAY A VENGEANCE PALADIN BUT I DON'T WANT TO MUNCHKIN AND EVERYONE TELL ME TO GO DEVOTION AAAA
>>
>>52873296
That is one of the few I can see working. The main thing I'm thinking of is they put subclasses out for psionics it's going to lead to either "just pick mystic because it does it better." Or there's now no reason to pick mystic because picking x fills the role you plan better.

It's a toss up on how it can go so I'd rather they pick one or the other for better balance and actually making the subclasses good instead of it being a copy of mystic or just silly and inferior to mystic.
>>
>>52873469
then go vengeance you fucking cuckold
>>
>>52872209
Super MAD and still not fast cast / dual cast which is Red Mage signature.
>>
>>52873469
Ok main question why do you want to play a vengeance paladin? Also alot of people agree that devotion is better than vengeance, from what I've seen in thread.
>>
>>52873305
BUT HOW DO THEY LEARN THEM? Does a cleric only get spells from its domain? Or does it have the entire spell list available?
>>
>>52872261
>>52872230
Regarding this, how does one write up a BAGG?
Also some of my party members are thinking of turning in other party members for a good reward, do these types of things end well for the group?
>>
>>52873493
They have the entire spell list available, they just choose which ones to prepare that day
>>
>>52873427
>Elven Accuracy
Battle Masters/Swashbucklers got it going on with that ability. Feinting Maneuver just got so much better!
>>
>>52873493
THE ENTIRE SPELL LIST

FUCK
>>
>>52873282
Yeah I know. That's what happened
>>
>>52873493
Clerics have access to its entire spell list but can only prepare x amount each day. The way I fluff it when asked is they gain it directly from their God so as they get stronger they gain access to this knowledge but have to concentrate on x amount to be able to use them during the day.
>>
>>52873493
A Cleric's domain spells are always prepared once they hit that level. For the other spells, you prepare them using WisMod+Cleric Level. They do have access to the entire list at once, because they pray for their non-domain spells every morning.
>>
>>52873511
>>52873516
>>52873528
>>52873542

What the fuck that's so fucking over powered! Is it the same for Druids and paladins too?
>>
>>52873596
How is it over powered? Each day they have to pick X amount and those are the ones they can use throughout the day.
>>
>>52873596
> over powered!
Don't use that word until you have more system mastery. Their spell list isn't as strong as Wizard or Bard.
>>
>>52873491
I have never seen this, bonus action advantage on an enemy for a minute is outstanding, sacred weapon requires an action and adds +Cha to attacks.

I like devotion Paladins but I have only seen three devotion Paladins played including my own, compared to the ten or so vengeance paladins
>>
File: burress1.gif (2MB, 274x270px) Image search: [Google]
burress1.gif
2MB, 274x270px
>>52873596
>>
>>52873596
Paladins, yes, also get domain spells accessable on top of the CHA+1/2 pal lvl spells prepared. Dunno about druids.
>>
>>52873596
Yes, Druids do some... druidic ritual thing every morning. And Paladins pray too.

Also its not overpowered because they're limited to WIsMod+ClassLevel in what they can actually prepare (which is also limited to what Spell Slots they actually have) and they tend to not have nearly as impressive a spell list as Wizards. Hell Paladins are Half-Casters.
>>
>>52873001
They gave Half-elves more proficiencies wtf
>>
>>52873001
why is dragon hide so fucking garbage?
is it supposed to stack with mage armor/draconig bloodline because otherwise is absolutely useless, even more so as the unarmed strike don't scale for shit.

at least dragon wings achieve something (in the odd chance you aren't wearing heavy armor reee).
>>
>>52873612
>>52873621
>>52873625
>>52873634
>>52873635

Fuck sake dood
>>
>>52873001
Stat + effect feats change up attribute choices, in that they give a legitimate reason to start with an odd number in your important stats. I'd like to see more of them.
>>
>>52872854
Class specific feats hopefully.
>>
>>52873624
True if all you're after is damage the vengeance is pretty decent, the devotion edges it out though due to its utility while still being able to put out decent damage.

It's all in what you are specifically after, and that's probably why people want you to play devotion over vengeance, everyone fucking plays a vengeance. Even worse is when the player believes it lets them do whatever with no consequences.

I'm talking to you Phil you don't get to just smite everything because you "believe" it to be evil even when it isn't and hadn't done a fucking thing to anyone.
>>
>>52873698
Do we tell him, guys?
>>
>>52873698
I want mystic and monk feats.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>52873674
>Inb4 pic related
>>
A couple months back I submitted my homebrew class to some anons here

I got some great criticism, and some not so great criticism. Overall, I think the class is better off now with this partial overhaul. The two new archetypes, Enhancement and Reinforcement are yet untested/balanced, as are the feats and rebalanced spells.

but here's this

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz4lh4PRWIsPbTdfZzhqVXNPY0U

(the pdf's 18.5 MB)
>>
>>52873491
Well for one, the spell list. Hold spells, misty step, dimension door, haste, scrying... it all seems pretty damn awesome. The level 7 and 15 abilities are a bit lacking compared to devotion and ancients IMO, but the level 20 is incredible (about as useful combat-wise as ancients, but lasts AN HOUR and enables you to fly), you can abjure any enemy to stop them in their tracks... ok so you miss out on stuff like anticharm/antimagic aura and some fine spells, but still.

I'm afraid it doesn't fit well with either my backstory, nor the setting, however (we're doing CoS).
>>
File: 1476831683852.jpg (103KB, 355x642px) Image search: [Google]
1476831683852.jpg
103KB, 355x642px
>>52873727
>>
>>52873659
Yes, it stacks. It also stacks with Unarmored Defense from Monk and Barbarian.

And the claws make Dragonborn the best grapplers now.
>>
Halfling Diviner is one true meme build now.
>>
>>52873768
Wait, what's so special about the claws for grappling?
>>
So Wood Elf magic lets you take Shillelagh as a Monk or Cleric?

Would this be fun or just ultimately a meme?

>>52873861
Claws are free hands for grapples I suppose.

>>52873768
>Barbarian unarmed defense
Holy shit, I'd forgotten about that. That does sound promising. I'd still would like to have a better natural weapon for a fucking dragon man, though.
>>
>>52873913
Ever considered the breath weapon they already have, you goddamn clown
>>
>>52873940
>once per short rest
>shitty scaling damage
how about no.
>>
>>52873913
>So Wood Elf magic lets you take Shillelagh as a Monk or Cleric?

You could already do this with Magic Initiate.
>>
>>52873956
I noticed that most of them are equal to Dragon Wyrmling's breath in Damage and AoE with some of them being slightly different but on the same power level.

That's actually kind of hilariously sad.
>>
>>52873469
Why do you wanna play vengence paladin tho? they're just edge the hedgehog
>>
>>52873990
Wouldn't that be Treachery? Vengeance isn't even close to that shit and its not dark enough.

No fucking edgelord would actually help the people their failures harmed.
>>
>>52873990
I realise this. I've outlined the situation here:

>>52873751
>>
>>52873001
>Grudge bearer

Can't wait for /pol/ dwarves.

Unarmed Stone Sorcerrer Dragonborn.

Spiky Thiefling graplers on fire.

Prodigy is great on any class.

Drow are even better for casters now.

And Halflings are now oficially Gypsie diviners.
>>
>>52873956
This. Playing as Dragonborn is literal pain
>>
>>52874037
>Prodigy is great on any class

Humanity fuck yeah.
>>
>>52873768
Nope THIEFLINGS are best graplers now.
Take the two feats from this UA and laugh.

>Spikey
>Fire
>>
>>52873635
How does multiclassing druid with another spellcaster work, their spells prepared wording is vague
>>
>>52873988
>16th level dragonborn
>5d6 dmg, once per short rest

>black dragon wyrmling
>5d8 dmg, 5-6 recharge

you see what I mean?
It's pathetic and absolutely useless. Even if it scaled like normal cantrips do ( 5th, 11th and 17th instead of 6th, 11th and 16th), it would only do 8d6 at 17th level where pretty much every other class option would be way better.
>>
>>52874089
Druids preparing spells is explicit that its your WisMod+Druid Level that decides how many of their spells you can prepare. So really it works just like Cleric, up to the Domain Spells thing - Land Druids pick a Circle and gain Circle Spells.

Honestly though Druids are the only class I kept legitimately forgetting existed and to this day I don't fully comprehend them.
>>
>>52874053
My first character in 5e was a dragonborn and before finishing the campaign I already wanted to die at how bad of a race they are in general.

Starting by how they are not really dragons at all, outside of the shitty breath and resistance, they don't get darkvision, fear, flight or even fucking tails. they are not even their real heritage color but a shitty brown to coppery yellow/green.

With a grand total of 1 draconic class option, that make any other race more of a dragon than dragonborns, while having bad synergy with it.

I even compiled a bunch of bullshit evidence to try and get some dm to fix them but in the end it was pointless.
>>
>>52874089
multiclassing always assumes a solo class for figuring out what spells you can learn and prepare and only interacts in calculating your total spell slots/levels afterwards.
>>
>>52874086
Tiefling warlock with Cloak of Baalzebul invocation and barbed hide
>>
>>52874153
But its a muticlass so it has higher spell slots that it would normally but the wording is some thing like "may prepare a spell of a spell slot they have"
>>
>>52874190
Not that anon but I always get tripped up on parts of multiclassing, and especially the spell slots you have vs what spells you can actually do with them shit. I found from looking around that Eldritch Knight 10/Wizard 10 is not as great as it sounds but I have trouble figuring out exactly why. It has something to do with limiting yourself as a caster more than its worth
>>
>>52873141
>Breath now does Necrotic Damage
>Scale hue slowly darkens as to reflect fall into Shadow Dragon
>At night, he dreams of the memories of the lives of the people he killed. Strange random NPC commoner lives at first, significant characters like Wachter or Emil later.
>Extra damage from the abbot
>Disadvantage on Con saving throws and long death features inside a Hallow
>Food is bland
>The parade of Heroes in Barovia ignores all adventurers except for the very last one, who for a moment just seems to look at the monk
>>
>>52874017
Let's look at the Vengence Paladin
>To these paladins—sometimes called avengers or dark knights—their own purity is not as important as delivering justice.
This basically means it's designed for assholes who don't wanna play good paladins and you're totally in the clear to be max edge lawful stupid. Also if you wanna call yourself a dark knight please sudoku

>tenets revolve around punishing wrongdoers by any means necessary.
See- ^^
>Fight the Greater Evil.
>No Mercy for the Wicked.
>By Any Means Necessary.
Restitution is the only out of 4 tentents that's not edge

>induces fright at 3rd level channel divinity

It's like they just decided to give lawful stupid edgelords their own class, even Shadow Monks can have honor and Assassins can work as spies, bounty hunters, priests and shit. But not Vengence Pals, you're literally required to be edgelord extreme and are expected to have an edgy past revolving around seeing destruction and shit. It's THE edgy class of 5E
>>
Would you kick me out of a Level 15 game if it was a Halfling Diviner Wizard Level 2/Circle of Twilight Druid Level 13 with the Lucky feat and Halfling's new racial feat?
>>
>>52873001
What's next, feats per class?
>>
>>52874327
take your (you) and get the fuck out troll
>>
>>52874355

Feats by age.
>>
>>52874253
>>52874238
just read the book, please. it's really not that complicated at all.

eldritch knight/wizard is shit because you only get higher leveled spell slots from wizard, but not higher leveled spells to use with them.
>>
>>52874355
Would that be so bad? That used to be a thing you know.
>>
>>52874327
>Fight the Greater Evil

Which specifically says you can spare lesser evils.

>No Mercy for the Wicked

Which says ordinary foes can get mercy.

You didn't even mention Restitution which says they have to help people hurt by evil.

They sound so far from edgelords and more like a mix of Batman and Judge Dredd.
>>
>>52874353
Yes. I've had a player be a Lucky Halfling Diviner/Knowledge Cleric, and he was the most insufferable cunt I've ever met. He kept trying to make the campaign about himself, and we eventually just stopped inviting him back
>>
>>52874416
>Batman and Judge Dredd
>not edgelords
I mean, I guess that's an opinion someone could plausibly have.
>>
File: IMG_1013.jpg (145KB, 712x590px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1013.jpg
145KB, 712x590px
>>52874398
But anon its vague in the class spellcasting and that only give an example for wizard
>>
>>52874462
I... don't think you know what an edgelord is. Which I guess isn't surprising, given the word edgy is starting to lose meaning in general.
>>
>>52874401
feat acquisition is very costly and contested, these new feats all feel like more thing to spend the few points you already have to spend elsewhere so even if they sound nice on paper, they are not-options for how limited the resource to acquire them is.

imagine you want a feat for your weapon, a feat for your race and a feat for you class, now you can't realistically pump any other ability score, even if you depend on a secondary one, because you had to delay maxing your main stat for the feats. being -2 compared to the rest of your party at to-hit or DC is fucking huge with how bounded accuracy works.
>>
>>52873001
Dwarf Resilience, Everybody’s Friend and Wonder Maker are great.
>>
>>52874505
...then don't get 3 feats if you feel you can't afford it.

What's the problem? There are already plenty of situations where you might want 3 or more feats but are better off taking ASIs.
>>
>>52873001
Between this and the skill feats, there are a few things to note:
The first being that now Fighters of all stripes are a lot more interesting by association because of those additional ASIs.

Second is that they are almost certainly going to have some variant rules in the upcoming splat to suggest a free feat at character creation, or free feats at certain levels. I'm interested to see if it would have guidelines so each class might get one at a different level or if it would be something a lot simpler like per adventuring tier.
Or perhaps a few different ways of doing it. For instance, 'anyone can pick any feat' for one flavor, and for another 'humans get either a free skill feat or Magic Initiate, while other races are restricted to a racial feat'. Lotta different ways to go with it that can be satisfying in their own ways.

Additionally these racial feats also carry the implication of a plurality of distinct settings, which is exciting. With the Mystic and much of the content of past UAs I very much get the impression that the book's intended to be a stepping stone to branch into non-FR D&D settings, and I know everyone here would appreciate that. Presumably the setting sourcebooks could be smaller and more succinct, and able to just say, "use these variant rules from the Dungeon Master's Guide and [splatbook]."

And certainly different options like free feats could do a hell of a lot to normalize power levels or abilities across settings.

All in all, I'm quite optimistic about the splatbook. Anyone know anything about what it might be called yet?
>>
File: 1490895425793.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
1490895425793.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>52874475
are you retarded?

it specifically tells you to calculate each class independently and then calculate you total spell slots.

how many druid levels do you have? get your prepared spells and max spell level there, done? done. if you can't do this part then you might want to play a champion or something.

now if you have any other spell casting class, you add the levels and calculate your total spell slots and their levels. DONE. you can upcast spells if you have higher level spell slots but that's pretty much it.
>>
File: dragonborn sorceror.jpg (372KB, 1086x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn sorceror.jpg
372KB, 1086x1536px
So in what ways can a level 6 wizard take revenge on a level 18 wizard that's the leader of a mage's guild?

Not kill them necessarily, but maybe more like ruin them or something.
>>
>>52874505
>WHY CAN'T I HAVE EVERYTHING!
The majority of the racial feats also come with a +1 to a stat, so they aren't that hard to pick up if you plan your character out
>>
>>52874569
because they keep making feats no one can take, because very few of them are better than other select few feats or better than ASIs in general.

all of these are fake options no one can take and just take design space.
>>
File: 1492812307595.jpg (125KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
1492812307595.jpg
125KB, 637x476px
>>52874475
>>
>>52874495
I've learned something new today about the absurd limits of what people are willing to believe.

Thanks I guess.
>>
>>52874582
Probably need more details. Like what the mage guild does.
>>
File: 1478926117714.jpg (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1478926117714.jpg
43KB, 400x400px
>>52874626
Same.
>>
>>52874363
Not trolling desu, here https://pastebin.com/s2UTcSfU , the only difference I have now is I learned assassins don't gotta work as assassins and fey warlocks can still work for evil. And yes I am autism.

>>52874168
I feel you on so many levels. I also played my first serious campaign as a dragonborn, one that spanned multiple sessions, and I was awestruck how fucking bad they are just compared to humans (especially with variant). Really, comparing them to any other race reveals just how shit they are on it's own desu, but let's break it down, RESISTANCE almost never comes into play (I was cold), and if it was only immunity it might've even been useful. The breath has been discussed already as being worse than even plain attacking. And- oh wait that's it
that's all you get
fuck dragonborn
>>
>>52874582
Out him as a pedo. Hire a level 19 wizard that's leader of the mage guild in far-away. Ruse him to the plane of eternal ruination.

Alternatively, the best vengeance is living a better life :^)
>>
File: not edgy.jpg (69KB, 383x408px) Image search: [Google]
not edgy.jpg
69KB, 383x408px
>>52874653
>>
>>52874650
Knowing wizards, its probably that he's a more powerful wizard. That's the only thing they're scared of and the only measuring contest any of them can win.
>>
Tg, I have a problem and I could use your guidance.

I'm dm'ing a group of close friends, but when I got there for our first session I found they had rolled stats (I didn't figure I had to specify) and one player in particular got an egregiously high array of odd numbered rolls which he quickly fixed with a Standard Human, proving that once again, rolling stats is cancer.
It became an issue (especially since as a protection paladin he's got AC 20 at level 3) between us, but I also now that at his heart, he's not a bad player or a murder honor. He's the best Role player that I have, and I know that he has played significantly weak characters in the past with multiple negatives with this method.

So we came to a compromise. He'd keep these stats and enjoy being overpowered at first, but come his ASI levels, he has to take Role-play "fun first" feats instead of +2 STR or great weapon mastery.

But pouring through them I'm having a hard time picking them out. I guess I can have him blow level 4 on tool proficiency for Skilled, and Inspiring Leader has nice potential, but other than that I'm a touch at loss here
>>
>>52874650
It's just a general learning institution for magic users to hone their abilities. But the leader is a vindictive shit that's working with some powerful country leaders to try to use and blackmail us to get what they want.

>>52874689
>Alternatively, the best vengeance is living a better life :^)
I guess!
>>
File: 1476385665059.png (321KB, 464x425px) Image search: [Google]
1476385665059.png
321KB, 464x425px
>>52874710
>>
>>52874734
Did you discuss this priorly? I dunno if there IS much you can do besides talking it out with the players how stat rolling is shit tier and ruins the game for everyone.

Alternatively start plotting to kill them
>>
>>52874734
>rolling for stats
>without you witnessing it
what the fuck are you doing, what the fuck.
they can't ever decide what stats they'll have UNLESS you agreed to use the standard array or point buy, you can't just show and say "I rolled three 17s and a three 15s, you gotta believe me" and you can't accept it either way.
>>
>>52874749
Stop posting pictures from my deviantart you motherfucker.
>>
>>52874462
Thank you kind anon, I started to think I was the only Venegence hater in this thread <3
>>
File: Batman.jpg (35KB, 502x640px) Image search: [Google]
Batman.jpg
35KB, 502x640px
>>52874710
>>
>>52874856
I never understood what that square he drew around his nose is supposed to be for.
>>
>>52874856
No see he's holding a bomb and that means edgy these days.
>>
>>52873001
>barbed hide
1d6 while grappling/being grappled, don't picture tieflings grappling much but could be good vs. Giant octopods. Double prof in intimidation might be alright if you don't get it from elsewhere and you wanna use it
>bountiful luck
Nice, I've got a god bound character who does this shit all the time
>critter friend
I've got an elf druid in my parry who would love access to this, they do all that stuff anyway as is. Might consider letting them take it even as an elf
>dragon fear and hide and wings
Fear is good, claws situational, ac bonus is good, especially for dragon sorcs. Wings are alright too, only 20 ft but like the various dragonborn that could be popping up now
>drow magic
Kinda meh, but makes sense
>dwarf resilience
Like it, makes dodge a viable action for dwarves at least. Put it on a cleric that gets healing bonuses, and what happens?
>elven accuracy
Assuming they mean damage dice? Or do they mean reroll one of the d20s? Either is pretty good
>everybody's friend
Meh, guess it means half-elf bards are gonna have even more expertise, good for them I suppose
>fade away
Also meh on this one
>fey teleportation
Can get this lots of ways, not sure if this one's ever gonna get taken
>flames of phlegethos
Neat, does it work in conjunction with phoenix sorc or is this a replacement?
>grudge bearer
Like it
>determination
Like it, sounds like the feature of a home brew human variant I see on here sometimes
>>
>>52874895
I believe it's supposed to add the illusion of depth or of a more defined shape to the mask. Without that it'd look extra weird.
>>
>>52874895
I think its hard to tell from the lighting of that scene but that part of the nose is actually satin, probably for comfort.
>>
>>52874818
Well, one 17, four 15, one 11 and I forget the rest.

They witnessed each other and the other three got entirely normal and average stats. (the Warlock got a 7 and an 18, but it's a Warlock, it needs the help)

These people are my friends Anon, not my customers. I'm the one coming in, and I'm going to have to respect some customs.
If I start my run as a DM by slapping my dick in their mouths it's not gonna last long, and with my compromise it'll even out in the long term.

I just wish there were more "best mediocre feats" guides out
>>
File: 1493047773506[1].jpg (101KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
1493047773506[1].jpg
101KB, 1080x810px
What class/race do I play to make a succubus /5eg/?
>>
File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
>>52874849
There are more than you think, mostly because as a DM and player every vengeance paladin has used as an excuse for being a borderline murderhobo.
>>
>>52874994
>As an excuse for being a borderline murderhobo

That's what, half of the people who play D&D anyway no matter the class?
>>
>>52874975
Tiefling bard.
>>
>>52874930
>on't picture tieflings grappling much

Actually since tieflings are a go to race for Bard...
>>
>>52875018
I've had pretty decent luck in that department, but every vengeance paladin tries to take it there. Then again this is all personal experience so there could be decent vengeance paladins out there, but I have yet to see one.
>>
>>52874907
Dood people know what edgy means, and if someone sits at a table and decides "Man you know what's fun, MY FAMILY WAS KILLED BY ORCS AND NOW I TRAVEL THE LANDS SEEKING REVENGE AND DRAW POWER FROM IT LIKE I'M MAD MAX OR SOME SHIT"
God what a good character concept, amirite? All the paladins that don't have revenge as their goal just go play devotion or ancient because not staring into the abyss is usually a pretty swell idea
>>
>>52874327
It's Batman you dong.
>>
>>52873001
>infernal constitution
Basic. Useful
>orcish aggression and fury
Like em. choose to be more orcish. Extra damage die and extra attack are great
>prodigy
See above half-elf feat
>second chance
Some good shots just more options along the reroll lines
>squat nimble Ness
Good for dwarf rogues I suppose
>wonder maker
Neat
>wood elf magic
Meh

Like these overall. Cool shit.
>>
>+1 to an ability score, and choose either the Prodigy or Human Determination feat.

There, I fixed humans.
>>
>>52875062
Even as a Batman fan I have to admit most renditions of him are edgy if not borderline mentally ill with the motivation and reasoning behind being Batman.
>>
>>52875059
Well, I know how hard it is to be a Paladin in general. Everybody has the wrong fucking idea on how they should work. Any player that has it figured out is glorious to be around.

Vengeance Paladins let you be more overt about making evil pay and specifically removing most of the tethers and limiters even other paladins have so you can get the job done - and while its ripe for abuse, that doesn't make the thing itself bad. And a player who can successfully be a Vengeance Paladin is both the night and the law, without being an edgy little shit looking for excuses.
>>
>>52874975
Pfg would be a better place to ask and edition for this. If you absolutely must play this edition tiefling bard
>>
>>52873001
>Infernal Constitution
Look at me, I'm the dwarf now.
>>
>>52875115
That's kind of part of his whole deal, yes. So?
>>
>>52875112
You fixed them in the same way that banning the race does - create a system where somehow according to lore Humans are super diverse and yet somehow never adventurers.
>>
>>52874856
I don't know why people go to batman for vengeance Paladin.

I always thought Ghost Rider was the more obvious comic archetype
>>
>>52875221
The discussion has been about people tired of every other paladin now being the edgy smite makes right.
>>
>>52875285
That has been almost every player that ever played a paladin. It's a problem inherent to the class because players can't into paladin.

And from what I hear they especially can't into vengeance paladin, which is sad.
>>
Maybe UA should fix Vengence Paladin
>>
>A swashbuckler excels in single combat, and can fight with two weapons while safely darting away from an opponent.

>can fight with two weapons

I ain't seeing any rules for this. Am I just dumb, /tg/?

By all accounts I can just go ahead and use a longsword with two hands, and don't even have to rely on the classic rapier/dagger, right?

Provided I'm proficient with the longsword, which I will need to still figure out.
I'll probably go as half-elf or find a background for it.
>>
>>52875439
Nevermind, I'm retarded, rouges are proficient with the longsword.
>>
>>52875425
What's the problem with it? I was thinking of rolling one for our upcoming evil party.
>>
>>52875029
Hey you cunt stop implying lewd things about my sister!
>>
>>52875439
Yes, this is correct. However, you'll get more damage out of rapier/dagger than two handing a longsword. Swashbucklers are based around the idea of using your bonus action to make an off-hand attack, and still being able to disengage.
>>
>>52875268
You know even I thought of Vengeance Paladins as Batman or Judge Dredd. But thinking about it now, Crown is probably better for Dredd.
>>
>>52875489
I gotta look up the two-weapon fighting rules.
>>
>>52875482
Use Oathbreaker.
It's there just for that.
>>
So with all this talk about Paladins I've been thinking that there could be a way to be at least Neutral or somehow even a Good Conquest Paladin. I can see how Neutral would go but is Good not possible?
>>
>>52875534
Yeah, but I want to play a proper fascist, which works better with Vengeance.
>>
>>52875516
Use action to attack, bonus action to attack with secondary weapon. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack

Rogues can disengage using a bonus action from very early on, and it's very powerful. However, if you use your bonus action to make a weapon attack, you're now either stuck next to the enemy or risk taking an attack of opportunity.
>>
>>52875482
Oathbreaker, Conquest, and Treachery are actual evil paladins.
>>
>>52875334
True but now instead on having a defined and concrete way to say "ok you start loosing your abilities" they can argue and twist it to fit the vengeance paladin.

Paladins can be done right but I've never seen a vengeance paladin done right.
>>
>>52875574
Shit. I confused with Conquest. Never mind then.
>>
>>52875560
Wouldn't it work even better with Conquest?
>>
>>52873001
I see the return of 4E's racials for Elves, Halflings, and Dwarves at the least.
>>
>That rock gnome feat

If your DM wont let you craft those toys without taking up the feat anyway, he's a terrible person and you should run
>>
>>52875568
>However, if you use your bonus action to make a weapon attack, you're now either stuck next to the enemy or risk taking an attack of opportunity.

So if I one-on-one someone, I'm basically better off hitting it with a longsword held in both hands(including sneak attack), and then disengaging than trying to hit it with a dagger and getting stuck in meele?

Also, do you still add one and a half of your strength to your meele attack damage if using both hands like in 3e? (or maybe that was just a houserule, it's been a while)
>>
>>52875588
They can argue and twist like any Paladin can. However, they have to help the people that get hurt by evil. That is one of the oaths.

There are ways to be a vengeance paladin without being an asshole. Like looking back at Grey Guards, or the Knights of The Chase.

In my eyes vengeance done right is someone who genuinely wants to help in a righteous way and isn't stopped by the walls that evil normally puts up to protect itself. Like 'if you kill them you'll be just as bad' or 'if you fight evil with feels you'll fall to the dark side' and they said 'bullshit' and proved them wrong.
>>
>>52875602
Did you have favorite feats from then?
>>
>>52875657
>they said 'bullshit' and proved them wrong.
Nah.
They are effective, but they can really easily fall into evil.

Also, remember to have your player sign an oath or something similar, so you all know what he swore and if/when he breaks it.
>>
>>52875651
No, the die size just changes
>>
>>52874930

>ac bonus is good, especially for dragon sorcs
The AC bonus also stacks with Unarmoured Defense for Barbarians and Monks. So you could get a slightly better Dragonborn Barbarian grappler build going with the Dragon Hide feat.

>Put it on a cleric that gets healing bonuses, and what happens?
It won't synergize with the Life Cleric feature of maximizing healing through spells as the feat isn't a spell. However, it does synergize with the Durable feat, which isn't worth it.

>do they mean reroll one of the d20s?
Yep, it's essentially super-advantage, roll 3d20 and take the best result.

>does it work in conjunction with phoenix sorc or is this a replacement?
Again yes, it's a different effect and thus doesn't stack. So you get extra flames if you take the feat.
>>
>implying conquest paladins have to be evil
>>
>>52875713
The player can fall easily into evil. The hardest part is not letting it happen. That's the part that seems to be at issue. I get how it can become bullshit. And I find that annoying.

But I also find that many stories that tie up the hands of good annoying.

Although, a lot of things that apply to other settings are kind of hard for me to envision equally in D&D. The worlds in this game are absolutely full of monsters and horrible evils that can't be stopped by ordinary people. Adventurers capable of taking them on are kind of necessary in the first place.
>>
>>52875657
>if you kill them you'll be just as bad

In what context? In that you have to kill these people to get to someone evil then yes that is an evil act and no paladin, aside from oath breakers or evil ones, should do that. They should actively find a way around such a bullshit scenario.

>if you fight evil with feels you'll fall to the dark side

That's just stupid and should never be held to any paladin in DnD, just because you are a devotion paladin doesn't mean you can hate certain things, so long as it doesn't cloud your judgment when deciding if they are good or evil and dealing out justice.

I understand that vengeance paladin can be done right, the problem is most don't even know how to do a regular paladin correctly and letting the wording and leeway a vengeance gets makes everything more of a headache.

With the others most players actively keep them in mind and try to ensure to follow the class they made, most vengeance just forget it then argue if the DM punishes them for breaking it.
>>
>>52875484
I would if she stopped gobbling knob behind the tavern every night.
>>
>>52875740
Yeah, just found it.

Also looked up two-weapon fighting.

Looks like you can't even use rapier+dagger, since your first attack has to be with a light weapon for you to be eligible for an offhand attack as bonus action. And rapier ain't light.

Also, looks like two-weapon fighting is pretty sweet regardless, but maybe only worth it if you're a fighter or ranger and can take the fighting style?

Too bad you seemingly can only use double light weapons like daggers, shortswords or scimitars (pretty sure the latter is just there cause of Drizzt).
>>
>>52875439
>>52875489
>>52875516
>>52875568

Keep in mind that both weapons need to have the Light property to be able to make that bonus action off-hand attack.

The Dual Wielder feat gets around this.
>>
So I'm a new GM and I've been playing with my friends for the last few weeks for a few sessions. Everyone is new to the experience and besides fumbling a few rules here and there, we're having a lot of fun with it, but, I wanted to try and improve the experience by getting some advice. I've watched some videos and read some articles already on these, but, I wanted to get some advice from other people who do this a lot more than me.

How can I properly balance an encounter? I don't want to outright put them in an possible situation without hope of surviving, unless they fuck up greatly, but, I feel like most encounters are too easy. I've been steadily bumping up the numbers till they're in a comfortable place to try and make my players sweat, but, not overwhelming them.

How much should I be planning out these scenarios? I have a rough campaign in mind when I write them, but, I usually work backwards. I haven't told my players no yet since I've read that's a pretty shitty thing to do, and it's led to some fun on my feet improvisation. I'm just curious since I usually spend fifteen+ hours planning out a scenario a week in between my otherwise busy schedule. Is there a general checklist you guys follow, like introduce concept A, B, C and call it done? Also, should I introduce things like scrolls and stuff like that? I really love the idea of making it more engaging by handing them stuff like scrolls with orders, maps, etc.

Finally, what's the best way to usemaps and miniatures in a game? My friends really like the idea of using them, but, I usually fumble when I try to give good distances on maps due to my shoddy cartography skills. I know there are some good free map making programs, but, I kind of like doing it by hand since it reminds me of what my dad and I use to do when I was younger. Are there any general rules I should follow when creating maps?

I have some more questions, but, I'll start with those. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52875802
>But I also find that many stories that tie up the hands of good annoying.

That sounds more like a DM actively being a dick and trying to abuse the system. It's what sucks because I like paladins but everyone is afraid of playing them because DMs try and make impossible scenarios to force someone to fall.

Even worse is if the paladin comes up with an alternative that keeps with their oaths but wasn't accounted for and the DM just handwaves it and says "you can't do that you have to pick a or b"
>>
>>52872822
I'm making a warlock for a pick up game, and decided to revisit the UA stuff since the DM's just blanket allowing it.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf

Patron-specific Invocations were a mistake. Warlocks already had to deal with spells, Patrons, pact boons, and invocations, and this is just another thing to deal with. Saddest thing is, like most of the warlock, they're basically stupid restrictions disguised as fluffy benefits. Frost Lance is archfey limited... because why, there's no other patron with powers over ice? The Undying patron literally turns me into a zombie, but I can't get a cloud of flies? This isn't a balancing issue, it's just a weak attempt to add flavour to a class that already had loads of flavour without the punch to back it up.
>>
File: 1492616188201.jpg (55KB, 330x384px) Image search: [Google]
1492616188201.jpg
55KB, 330x384px
>>52875834
>>
>>52875842
The dual-weilder feat let's you take non-light weapons if that's really what you're going for.
>>
File: spells.png (591KB, 674x748px) Image search: [Google]
spells.png
591KB, 674x748px
Figuring out some homebrewed spells for a campaign.
>>
>>52875842
What level and race are you?

Because if you can take v.human, you can start with the Dual Wielder feat, and take a level in Fighter for the Fighting Style and Second Wind. It won't put your level progression off too much since it's only a 1-level dip.
>>
>>52875806
Yes, I guess my own problem is I'm looking too much to outside settings where the good side always has one hand tied behind their back in how they're supposed to do things. D&D doesn't really do that too hard when it comes to murdering the shit out of evil.

I guess I'm forgetting my experience at Vengeance Paladin and Paladin in general is and has always been different from how almost every person has ever done it.

I think a solution could be to make shit like that a lot more clear so the paladin can break out of its bad reputation.
>>
>>52875866
Try with the DMG encounter building guide, then check up monster abilities that may fuck things sideways.

Also, you shouln't have trouble with a grid, unless you meant a map that somehow uses minis?
>>
>>52875898
Not really, I think I'll just stick with wielding a longsword with two hands. Sure I can't add by DEX to the attack, but what can you do. Unless there's a feat for that as well...

>>52875911
Level 3, so a dip would kinda fuck up my sweet rougue stuff. I can take variant human though.
>>
>>52873624
You can use that one weapon on many enemies, but can only kill the target of your enmity once.
>>
>>52875651
>two-handing a long sword for sneak attack

Gotta be a finesse weapon or ranged weapon to get sneak attack, and none of those are versatile.
>>
File: 1456125421986[1].jpg (79KB, 1534x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1456125421986[1].jpg
79KB, 1534x1034px
>>52872822
So, related to the OP's pic

I'm putting together a Bloodborne-themed adventure based on Beholders. Eyes on the inside, mad alien dreams, etc etc. The basic premise is that the players check out a wizard's tower, find all kinds of creepy eye-experiments (which they need to fight, naturally), and when they kill the guy he unleashes this crazy magic wave from a giant preserved eye, which knocks them all unconscious.

When they wake up, the wizard's dead and the tower seems scarred by magical energy, but after they loot it and venture back out into the world, they find it... changed. Small things at first, odd ticks of behaviour and descriptions that include references to eyes, plus all the text is fragments of research notes on Beholders, written in the wizard's hand. Then people and buildings become mutated, twisted and weird and eyeball-heavy, and the Sanity mechanic starts getting used. Eventually the world starts breaking apart entirely, Beholderkin are everywhere, and they piece together the fact that they've been sucked inside the dream of the captured Beholder, and need to kill their way out (turning it into a Death Tyrant) before it wakes up now that the wizard's dead.

5e has Beholders, Spectators, Death Tyrants, Death Kisses, Gauths, Eyeballs, and Mindwitnesses. Are there any good sources for stats I can use for other, classic Beholderkin? Eyes of the Deep, Directors, Lensmen, etc? Just so I can jam in as many eyeballs as possible?
>>
>>52876020
Shit.
>>
>>52875953
>a dip would kinda fuck up my sweet rougue stuff. I can take variant human though.

Variant Human for the feat is good, since you'll benefit from the AC bonus and double rapier funtimes. I'd still say that a 1 level dip isn't too bad, especially at lower levels. After you hit 4 levels of Rogue (for the sweet sweet ASI), taking a single level of Fighter gives you a bunch of good shit. Bigger hit die, an extra 4 damage per round, and you get Second Wind. Also, it opens you up for Action Surge later down the road if you want to drop a second level in it..
>>
File: 1367279201079.jpg (79KB, 800x370px) Image search: [Google]
1367279201079.jpg
79KB, 800x370px
>>52875922
Ah, alright, I had that open while I typed that up, I'll reread it again and see if I can't plan things out better.

Also for the map question I messed up a lot with asking what I meant to. I apologize, I've been up for ages as I type this. I meant to ask how can I make more interesting maps for them to battle in? I usually try to include a set pieces for them to play around with, but, they rarely opt to use them so I think I'm doing something wrong in either showing them the map, or describing the room or something else. I don't mind our Warlock eldtritch blasting or smashing everything, but, it seems like that's all they do. It makes it seems like the set pieces and the room itself are irrelevant at the end of the day.
>>
>>52875917
Understandable I also think that might be what causes the biggest problem for people playing paladins aswell. Trying to draw an understanding from different things leads to wonky and more often than not bullshit situations that DMs feel are lose lose for a paladin.
>>
>>52876040

Also, you can only sneak attack once per turn. So one option is to attack - if you hit, Disengage and back off. If you miss, you might decide to use your offhand attack.
>>
What would be the best build for a dragon slayer type?
I was thinking Fight-Champion with protection along with enough levels in Ranger for favored enemies (Dragon) and Fencer. I would also take shield master when available. What do you think my favored terrain and my weapon of choice should be?

Does anyone else get paranoid that picking favored enemy/terrain will just make the DM not want to include those things?
>>
How does the math work when you have more than one ability that effects your carry weight? Especially two abilities that double your carry weight.

Is it as simple as (x * 2) * 2?
>>
>>52876055
Use cover!
Get ranged enemies on corners, crates and debris for your players to weave in, fire hazards and pits.
Everyone likes pits.
Specially grapplers/shovers.
>>
>>52876079
>DMs not including favored enemy/terrain

I can practically taste the tears of the already downtrodden Ranger.
>>
>>52876059
Generally a way I found to help are to find ways to convey simply how say, a popular character is close to a paladin oath. But you gotta get it really right. Like Devotion as Samurai Jack.
>>
>>52876098
If you refuse to use carry weight rules, there's NO math involved!
>>
>>52876023
5e has a sanity mechanic?
>>
>>52876114
Is this a common occurrence? I've never really played ranger.
>>
How scared would you be if you ran into a storm giant lich?
>>
File: 1391088928385.png (43KB, 320x445px) Image search: [Google]
1391088928385.png
43KB, 320x445px
>>52876112
Yeah, I've been using a lot of pits, spike walls, and cover. I really like the idea of open flames though, I haven't really done that yet. I don't know how I'm going to do that with a cave system that's partially underwater, but, I'm sure I can think of something.

I think I realize I'm just not describing the room well enough or showing it on the map well enough. My session with them is tomorrow, so I'm going to revise some things and probably take a quick nap. Thank you for the help, I'll let you guys know how it goes so I can get some feedback.
>>
>>52876098
I'd rule it as: if you get it from a race (goliath, maybe others) that's one instance of doubled weight. If you also get it from a class feature or feat (bearbarian or brawny UA) you'd only get it one more time. Max of x4, most cases x2.
>>
Anons? I wanna convert the Phanaton for use in my homebrew setting: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Phanaton

Just how overpowered is this first draft?

Phanaton
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Size: Small
Speed: 20 feet, Climb 20 feet
Vision: Normal
Bred for the Treetops: You have a Climb speed of 20 feet and Advantage on Athletics checks made in relation to climbing and jumping.
Forest Ghosts: You have Proficiency in Stealth, and gain Advantage on all Stealth checks made whilst in forest and jungle terrain.
Fangs: When you make an Unarmed Strike, you can choose to bite your opponent. Biting causes your attack, on a hit, to deliver 1d4 Piercing damage. If you have the Martial Arts class feature, your bite attack uses your Martial Arts damage dice instead, although it is still Piercing damage.
Glide: So long as you are not Incapacitated, overburdened, or wearing medium or heavy armor, you can use your Reaction to Glide if you fall or jump off of a high place. Gliding negates all damage you would normally take from falling, and allows you to cover a horizontal distance of 20 feet for every 5 feet you descend.
>>
>>52876227
Thermal. Vents.
Use icons and symbols!
>>
>>52876216
The Ranger is far agreed to be the worst class in 5e. Not as in unusable, as in they come dead last in usefulness. In fact it's so widely agreed that WoTC caught wind of it and made a Ranger Revised UA that even DMs that normally don't allow UA let players use.
>>
>>52876192
It's an optional ruleset in the Dungeon Master's Guide, alongside Honor and alternate healing rules.
>>
>>52874974
>They witnessed each other and the other three got entirely normal and average stats.

still, that's not how it works, either they had another dm and you took the campaign halfway, accepting to your fate for whatever could've happened before you; or you tell them what the rules of the game will be. if they can decide to roll without your permission, might as well let them run without you, as they evidently don't care about your opinion on the subject.

even with my friends, i can't arrive day 1 saying i'm going to play a mystic pureblood because another player said it was ok, my dm will obviously tell me if he's ok or not with it and if he's not ok with i can't make an autistic banter, because he is the fucking dm, that's his role and his call.

if you are more afraid of people leaving you, than making a good run, then you need to reconsider being a dm.

+4, +3, +3, +3, +1 and whatever at 1st level would absolutely break the game, CR is not balanced around that and needing specific solutions to the problem is bad policy in the end. you can't tap one player in the hand for your shortcoming and arbitrarily decide the rest is fine. i wouldn't feel ok if one of my teammates was stopped from getting x or y, that the rest can get, because something that wasn't his fault but the dm's or us collectively.

my two cents, if you let him keep the stats, don't punish him for your mistake, and if it hurts the rest of the run and/or party, reach a universal solution, so that everyone is on the same page, no special treatment, for good or bad.
>>
File: oristok_zps3604c182.png (503KB, 658x773px) Image search: [Google]
oristok_zps3604c182.png
503KB, 658x773px
I'm a Hobgoblin Wizard who is level 10

I dunno what tradition to go. I can use basically anything, UAs and even reasonable homebrews are all allowed

Rest of the party is a Barbarian, a Fighter/Rogue, and a Fighter/Warlock. They're all melee, so I was thinking Evocation wiz so I could actually blast dudes without murdering my friends.

Anyone here play high leveled wizards before? I've never been past level 6 and that was a pally
>>
>>52876257A
Any DM who doesn't let someone play a Homebrew/UA Ranger variant is just being mean.
>>
>DM loves screwing everyone over with natural 1s
>Take halfling
>Take feat
>Nobody in the party ever gets a natural 1 again

Except on a 1/400 chance. It says 'You must use the roll', but can't you use improved lucky on yourself?
e.g.
>Roll 1
>Reroll
>Roll another 1
>Use your reaction to allow yourself to reroll
Assuming 'allies' lets you target yourself. Might not, I forgot. Otherwise get two lucky halflings to make each other only have a 1/8000 chance of nat 1s.
>>
I there any reason at all to take the path of the berserker for Barbarian?
Exhaustion just seems like such a harsh punishment for an extra attack.
>>
>>52876311
Evocation makes a lot of sense. It's a ranged blaster archetype, which your party could use, and it's fluffy, as most Hobgoblin Wizards tend to be Evokers.

Alternatively, the Warmage from Unearthed Arcana is arguably even fluffier, and it's more "tank focused" than the Evoker. Drawback is that in a party as melee-orientated as yours, that inability to sculpt spells can make coordination a problem.

Or, if you want to add some needed healing powers, you could go with a Life Domain Theurge.
>>
>>52876311
>Reasonable homebrews
>Implying any exist

>>52876336
Berserker's main selling point is the features after level 3. The level 6 is the best level 6 feature you get.
Other than that, it's pretty sucky.
>>
>>52876244
Bumping this, but I had a subrace I wanna convert too. Way back when 3e was new on the block, Dragon Magazine ran a series of articles showcasing the coming edition, and particularly how this was going to change the once-familiar races. Issue #291 was dedicated to Gnomes, and introduced two subraces that I don't think have been reposted elsewhere: River Gnomes and Arcane Gnomes.

River Gnomes were a particularly isolationist branch of the gnomish family tree; like Forest Gnomes, they were drawn to nature, but they chose to live in dens or caves near rivers and streams. These gnomes lost their spell-like abilities and could only talk to river beasts (fish, otters and ducks, for example), but were very fast (+1 to initiative checks) and natural swimmers (Swim speed 20 feet, +8 racial bonus to Swim checks to perform special action or avoid a hazard, can always take 10 on a Swim check, can use Run whilst swimming, can hold breath for 4 times Con score rounds).

In 5th edition, I think a River Gnome subrace would look something like this:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Waterborn: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Deep Diver: You can hold your breath for 4 + Constitution modifier minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Constitution modifier minutes.

Since Speak To Animals is no longer an inherent ability of all gnomes, I don't really know if River Gnomes need to retain it. Likewise, I don't think it's normally acceptable for race to modify initiative checks, so instead I simply gave them a much faster Swim speed than they had in 3.5, as well as a bonus to Dexterity, which I think makes them faster than average anyway. I'm open to discussion on how to properly tweak them.
>>
>>52876390
Arcane Gnomes may seem like an oxymoron, but were truly dedicated to the study of magic. This gave them +2 Int and -2 Wis (on top of the default +2 Con/-2 Str for being gnomes, which was their ability modifier at the time) and caused them to forsake Speak With Animals for always treating Use Magical Device as a class skill. Needless to say, their favored class was Wizard.

This would be my kneejerk method for converting them to 5th edition:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Mage-Trained: You have Proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana).
Magic in the Blood: You can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip and 1 other Wizard cantrip of your choice. Intelligence is your casting ability score when casting cantrips granted to you by this trait.

The bonus to Charisma means that whilst their default +2 Int makes them great Wizards, they're also not bad at being Sorcerers, which also reflects their 3.0 fluff of being "pure" in terms of racial attunement to raw magical energy. Mage-Trained reflects their "Use Magic Device" racial trait of editions long past, a theme that Magic in the Blood strengthens and supports.
>>
>>52876336
Well, you don't have to actually Frenzy every time you Rage. It becomes some weird resource within a resource that can be situationally useful, in a way that when you need it, you NEED it. And they do get other stuff too. Besides Barbarians get a natural Extra Attack that I at least hope stacks with Frenzy.
>>
File: Northman Chief.jpg (68KB, 564x788px) Image search: [Google]
Northman Chief.jpg
68KB, 564x788px
>>52876336
RAW Berserker is pretty terrible, by far and away the worst Barbarian variant.

Here's what the Berserker in my campaign uses.
>Frenzy
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the Duration of your rage you gain an extra attack. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of Exhaustion (as described in Conditions). While Frenzied, you ignore all effects of exhaustion.

>Mindless Rage
Beginning at 6th level, you can’t be Charmed or Frightened while raging. If you are Charmed or Frightened when you enter your rage, the effect is suspended for the Duration of the rage.

>Intimidating Presence
At 10th level, your fearsome mien bolsters the courage of your comrades. As long as you are conscious and not incapacitated, all allies within 30' who can see you may add your proficiency bonus to saves against the Frightened condition.

>Retaliation
Starting at 14th level, when you take damage from a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon Attack against that creature.
>>
>>52876361
It's either Life Domain Theurge or Evocation.

We have no source of healing if I don't go Life Domain, but there's no way I'm being the healbot with all the cool shit I can do.

But I also want to be able to blast shit, because I'm going to have a Staff of Power, and really don't wanna fireball my friends for 10d6 or cone of cold them for 8d8
>>
>>52876438
The Starter Spells UA added a spell that Wizards get that lets you make healing potions.

Healing Elixir, 1st Level Conuration. 2d2+2 HP healed, takes 1 minute to make, and lasts for 24 hours.

It isn't a super great amount of healing but you can make several.
>>
File: 1487980637354.jpg (490KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1487980637354.jpg
490KB, 1440x1920px
>>52876336
Taking the path of the Berserker makes Champion fighter a viable and interesting multiclass option.
Both of them happen to be two of the most boring and uninteresting subclasses in the book. Together, they're simple but fun.
>>
>>52876438
>>52876532
*2d4+2. 2d2 would be fucking awful and what, a coin toss?
>>
>>52876438
Keep in mind, as a Theurge, you don't actually get that many cleric spells other than the ones on your Domain list. So, you can still throw around fireballs and whatever, it's just you can also, in a pinch, tape your friends back up after they insist on running head-first into the active rockgrinder.

But, seeing as that role can be filled with potions and the like, evoker probably works best. Your buddies are all about getting into melee, so you want to be able to avoid scorching them too badly if you wanna play the classic blasty mage.
>>
>>52876407
>>52876390
I remember giving you advice on these at some point in the past, but I absolutely forget what that would have been.

Anyways, I think those look good. They seem in line with the core subrace options, and are definitely different enough to convey the flavors they're supposed to.
>>
>>52876555
Or, you know, you could just get GWM and considering you have a 20% chance of crit every attack and a chance of killing an enemy when using reckless attack you're probably gonna get bonus attacks anyway, not to mention being able to shove +10s on things?
>>
Why are ranged weapons more expensive?
>>
>>52876591
moving parts and craftsmanship i guess?
>>
>>52876438
Could always craft potions and be as wizardy as possible, though you'd need a considerable amount of downtime at higher levels/some apprentices to help you churn out greater healing pots.
>>
>>52876532
>>52876562
>>52876622

I mean that's something but we're talking about level 10s here, our barbarian has 115 HP, rest of us are all around 80+

I don't see my hobgobbo war wizard being a healer devoted to some prissy healing god so I think I'm gonna go evoker. I'll never take damage so I'll let the meatheads worry about that shit

We are all gonna be rich as fuck so we can just buy some potions

Anyway how exactly does this work? I assume it's only for one damage roll because it'd be retarded otherwise, but does it effect multiple creatures ie every guy who gets Fireball'ed takes 8d6+int or only one guy gets the +int damage?
>>
File: phanaton.gif (55KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
phanaton.gif
55KB, 300x360px
>>52876567
I think I remember that the last time I asked, the consensus was that River Gnomes are either underpowered or just fine, and that Arcane Gnomes are overpowered? But thanks.

Any comments on my 5e Phanaton? >>52876244
>>
File: Capture.jpg (28KB, 645x171px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
28KB, 645x171px
>>52876669
forgot my picture like a dumbass
>>
>>52876079
Revised Ranger UA... maybe Battle Master? Not much that is specifically useful against dragons... if you want to go the S&B route, then yeah Shield Master helps, and any 1d8 one-handed weapon works.

A possibility could be a DEX S&B build with Shield Master as above for maximum avoiding breath attacks, possibly Medium Armor Master for AC 18 on half-plate before modifiers though there are higher priorities like getting proficiency in Wisdom to save vs frightened.

Honestly, mechanically, your best bet might just be Rogue. You get Expertise in order to climb onto Huge or larger Dragons for constant advantage, Evasion for breath attacks, proficiency in Wisdom saves at 15th, and can build for both Melee and Ranged without issues (to attack from range before it decides to get close - at which point you can attempt to climb on). Optimally you'd just Crossbow Master + Sharpshooter and all you need in melee is a Rapier and a source of Booming Blade, be it High Elf, or Half Elf variant, or Magic Initiate feat or simply be an Arcane Trickster.
>>
>>52876432

Your Intimidating Presence rework is pretty great, as a Barbarian isn't gonna be spending their action trying to Frighten people.
>>
File: Screenshot_518.png (6KB, 385x76px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_518.png
6KB, 385x76px
>>52876669
>>52876691

Everyone takes that damage yes, but also there is Errata where a spell that has multiple attack rolls only applies it to one of them, limiting spells like Scorching Ray.
>>
>>52876736
that's lame but understandable, thanks

I cannot wait to play this evoker hobgoblin who has a staff of power/helm of teleportation/broom of flying, this campaign is going to be silly as fuck
>>
>>52876591
From a mechanical standpoint: less risk in using a ranged weapon compared to a melee weapon.

From a fluff perspective: no reason, it's stupid that a longbow costs the same as a heavy crossbow.
>>
>>52876691
>>52876736
What if this was changed to once per creature? So if you split up scorching ray between targets you get the effect on them all, just like a burning hands that hits several would apply it to all.
>>
File: Bjorn.jpg (147KB, 377x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bjorn.jpg
147KB, 377x600px
>>52876734
As a full action ability that uses your dump stat as a DC for a save that a lot of foes actually have bonuses in, it was pretty shit.
I decided to go with "Even though we are deep in the valley of the shadow of Death, my allies shall fear no Evil, for I am the scariest mofo in that valley".
Or basically what Guts does for his allies all the time.
Berserkers need to be spending their action/bonus action/reaction killan niggas.
>>
>>52876906
Like, you can tell what the writers wanted to accomplish with the feature, but holy shit did they miss the mark
>>
>>52876894
Scorching Ray hits pretty much whoever within a 120 foot radius, so it doesn't have to follow limitations like everyone standing with a 15 foot cone or sphere or some shit. It's fine as is.
>>
>>52876412
Yes because the frenzy attack is specifically for a bonus action attack, while the extra attack is during your action.
>>
Anyone know if we're going to get the rest of the maps from Volo's in the mega? I've got a Yuan-TI encounter coming up and having the map from it would save me a lot of time.
>>
>>52876017
Yeah but paladins such shit at killing multiple enemies so why bother? Paladins are good at pointing to one guy and ruining his day, you might as well take the oath that endorses that.
>>
So what is the consensus on Racial Feats UA, 5eg?
They seem great to me. Especially the orcish ones on a Half-Orc battle master. Something fun that is not GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52877164
It's fine. Nothing amazing. Some weak stuff in there but overall it's a decent implementation of racial feats.
>>
>>52876906
Not gonna lie as a DM with a berserker probably gonna let them use that instead of what they get.
>>
>>52877164
Pretty decent in my opinion, half tempted to make them a free feat during character creation.
>>
>>52873001
>It's fucking nothing.MKV
>>
>>52875602
Dragonborn, too. Dragonfear was an alternate racial power they could have in 4e instead of Dragonbreath. Dragon Wings keys off of the defining trait of their Scion of Arkhosia Racial Pargon Path.

Hmm... I wonder if Blightseers and Broken Mirrors can be turned back into feats for tieflings, now...

Also, anyone else notice that you can now have a Tiefling with Fire, Cold and Poison resistance right off the bat at level 1?
>>
>>52877164
Good but still a big trade-off, at least at the levels where they might have the biggest impact. Absolutely amazing with special feat rules, though.
>>
>>52877311
Actually... speaking of Blightseers and Broken Mirrors... back in 4e, there was a "racial variant" for dwarves called the Forgeborn, which amounted to "you take a feat and get 2 points of resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid and Lightning damage, upgrading to 3 points at level 11 and 5 points at level 21".

If someone wanted to convert Forgeborn back to 5e, would you make them a new dwarf subrace, or would you just make them dwarves who take a feat that gives Resistance to Acid/Cold/Fire/Lightning and no other benefits?

Personally, I'd go with the former, but I had to ask.
>>
>>52877311
And now if you take the spikey one you probably have the best damned grappling combo
>>
>>52877317
Special rules as "everyone gets free feat at level 1" or am I missing something?
>>
File: PC Rollo.jpg (114KB, 548x748px) Image search: [Google]
PC Rollo.jpg
114KB, 548x748px
>>52877214
My group's Berserker is 6th level, I've found the 3rd level replacement ability balances fine too. He can drive himself pretty deep into exhaustion, but as long as he has another Rage/Frenzy he can still kick ass.

He's a two-weapon Berserk, so he when he Frenzies he gets 3 attacks on the first round, and then a bonus 4th attack on subsequent rounds.
No, it isn't OPTIMAL, compared to GWF, but he's very happy with it. He's going to get a Weapon Mastery similar to the ones in UA at 8th level I think, or the 20 STR.
>>
>>52877458
yeah.
>>
>>52877487
That kind of rule does become better if its these Racial restricted ones to at least avoid some bullshit while adding customization.
>>
>>52876432
To be fair, that's too strong.
Firstly you haven't even defined what 'extra attack' is.

Secondly, you've given them probably the most powerful level 3 AND the most powerful level 6 (Though I'll admit wolf's is better with enough melee teammates) and it's probably too tempting for people such as paladins to multiclass for (Say, Paladin11/Barbarian3 sorta shit where they make an extra attack with improved divine smite and rage damage on top of already having extra attack and a possible bonus attack and a possible reaction attack)

.. Well, actually, I'd say that's it's not too unbalanced on a long day where you face hard encounters throughout the day, but on a typical adventuring day it's a bit much.

I'd probably even call the level 10 more powerful than commune with nature (Because of the whole taking ten minutes to fuck about when chances are you'll have a caster on the team who could be doing something like this as a ritual, such as a druid or tomelock or a wizard can do something similar, and I mean, it only gives landscape details and all that) and.. It's hard to say with the level 14, but it definitely competes with the others at level 14.

I mean, sure, bear would be competitive if you actually going down was a problem (Usually it's your teammates you're supposed to be protecting and you do that by doing more damage) and wolf would be competitive if you have the right team composition.
>>
>>52877510
i'd make a subset of weapon/magic feats, skill/tool feats and then racial/class feats and just give them out at some appropriate level.

i loved the idea of patron exclusive invocations in the warlock UA and it feels like it should be something for everyone, different fluff to spice your character further. not all high elves are the same, not every hunter ranger is the same, etc.
>>
>>52876432
>>52877561
But to make a post responding to my own post I'll refer to UA revised ranger which gives you conditional bonus damage AND horde breaker by level 3, and a fighting style. The only difference is that UA revised ranger isn't meant to be multiclassed with, and PHB ranger doesn't offer that bonus damage.

And really the problem is more that the other barbarians could be souped up a bit rather than berserker kept within bounds of the other options.

So, I'd probably keep the berserker thing and buff some of the other options (Particularly eagle and the level 6+ features rather than the level 3 features, except for eagle's)
>>
File: Barbarian 3.jpg (23KB, 236x327px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian 3.jpg
23KB, 236x327px
>>52877561
Well right off I don't use the multiclassing optional rule. I don't like playing the game of combining advantageous class abilities and then pretending I have a story-theme for it.
This is also a long-running campaign, not some Optimization theorycraft.

Totems get two 3rd level abilities, and except for Eagle they are quite strong. (I use an alternate version of Eagle in my campaign).

The 10th level ability is reasonably balanced IMO, it's situation to an antagonist with the ability to Frighten, and it isn't flat-out immunity.

The 14th level ability is directly from the PHB, just like the 6th.
>>
>>52875568
Swahbucklers get around this rule by not provoking attacks of oppertunity on targets they attack.
>>
What have been your experience with Wish?
>>
Is there a god of martial prowess, preferably evil aligned, that is similar to old school Khorne (Killing only those who offer a worthy challenge)?
Any tips for running a Lawful Evil character in a good party to minimize the risk of IC conflicts?
>>
>>52877718
I think a lot of people overestimate the optimization of multiclassing when it comes to theorycrafting shit. In practice you usually are put pretty far behind.

I allow multiclassing in my games because in most cases it's a suboptimal choice. Especially for caster.

Although there are a few exceptions I can think of, and most of those include warlock dips.

That being said, I only allow multiclassing if the story fits or it's declared at character creation and everyone agrees to it. I've never had a problem with people theorycrafting too much in my games. Especially since they know any level 20 build they might come up with won't see the light of day until at least a year later and it's more fun to play something that starts being fun right away.
>>
>>52877789
Bane sounds right up your alley.
>>
>>52877819
>I think a lot of people overestimate the optimization of multiclassing when it comes to theorycrafting shit.
It's usually just annoying at levels 5-10.
However, with the UA feats (I used the Expertise one since the start of my campaign), there's simply no concept that calls for it.

I don't implement character creation options differently on individuals based on "how much I like your idea." I just don't use the optional rule at all.
>>
>>52877786
A) your DM gives you some moderate use of out it
or
B) Your DM corrupts even the most mundane request and you end up with nothing or worse
>>
>>52877561
>you've given them probably the most powerful level 3 AND the most powerful level 6 (Though I'll admit wolf's is better with enough melee teammates) and it's probably too tempting for people such as paladins to multiclass for (Say, Paladin11/Barbarian3 sorta shit where they make an extra attack with improved divine smite and rage damage on top of already having extra attack and a possible bonus attack and a possible reaction attack)

The level 6 feature is the same as in the PHB, so that's unchanged. The Paladin multiclass you have comes online at level 14 and would be MAD as hell. You'd need STR, 14 DEX, CON, and CHA, and have to dump both INT (which is standard) and WIS (not recommended).

On top of that, most PC effects that induce the Frightened condition end on the target taking damage. The 10th level feature in the PHB is so shit that I've literally never seen anyone use it more than once. The revision makes sense for fluff, and is still a feature with a specific niche, so it won't be constantly used all the time forever.
>>
>>52877789
>conflicts
What fucking conflicts? The entire game system can be summarized in "encounter, loot, xp, repeat".
I'll never get alignments. They would make sense in the WoD or motherfucking Shadowrun, but not D&D.
>>
>>52877718
The level 6 and 14 abilities are straight from the PHB, but by buffing the other features you put them into question as I've already seen some legitimate arguments for playing berserker for the level 6 ability alone. Fear and charm immunity requires a level 12 devotion paladin to be near you, and that's not something you can expect to have. And charm is extremely common, fear being pretty common too, both of which often target one of barbarian's weaker saves and can really screw them over as opposed to spells that just 'do damage if you don't avoid it'.

I mean, what does 'extra attack' even mean? You gain the 'extra attack' feature which doesn't stack with the extra attack? 'Once per turn, you may make a melee weapon attack after making a melee weapon attack'? 'On your turn, when you take the attack action, you may make one more weapon attack'?

I just kinda remembered that the exhaustion doesn't go away after a long rest, it only goes down one at a time, so that's a thing that might limit its usage to one/day depending on the campaign, but that really feels like a problem in itself if you become stronger in campaigns where you have an adventuring day and then a rest rather than multiple adventuring days in a row.

And, as for multiclassing, refer to >>52877819
I mean we 'could' have a game where the only classes are 'wizard, fighter, paladin' and you could roleplay all the same characters you normally do, but you're limited without mechanical variety.
>>
>>52876244
Martial arts already keys off of unarmed strikes, so that part is redundant especially w/ homebrew for a homebrew setting.
Constant adv in forest and jungle seems a little vague and very strong, id keep the prof and maybe keep adv to hide in treetops if you thought it was very important.
This race gets a lot, especially since you look to be setting them up to be good monks / rangers
>>
The guys playing barbs gave me an idea.
What would you think of this for playing a shaman using barb mechanics?

As an action while raging the totem barb may call upon an animal spirit (one of the totems described). They gain all of its benefits for as long as the rage persists. But there's no mixing and matching.

So say at level 6 you use this ability to call upon the wolf, you gain both the level 6 ability and the level 3 wolf ability while raging.

This would give them a lot of versatility being able to pick based on the situation at hand, but it would require a full turn to activate and is limited by number of rages they have access to.

Thoughts? Too good? Workable?
>>
>>52877573
>i loved the idea of patron exclusive invocations in the warlock UA
Why?

There's literally no point to them. Not only are they another level of complexity for the complex core class in an edition built around simplicity, the overwhelming majority of them could just be universal invocations and literally no-one would be able to tell the difference.

The best part is, no matter how cool these new invocations are, every warlock is still going to take Agonizing Blast as their first pick. Invocations are first and foremost a tax on class features, which is a damn shame because they're a cool idea.
>>
>>52876432
I've saw one fix to Frenzy as:
>Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can enter a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon attack (no action required) on each of your turns after this one.
>Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Your intimidating Presence fix look good too.
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>52877874
This, I completely disregard Alignments.
All of my Gods are kinda fucksticks like the Greeks, none of them are "Evil".
Or as Fritz Lieber put it:
"... the gods have very sharp ears for boasts, or for declarations of happiness and self-satisfaction, or for assertions of a firm intention to do this or that, or for statements that this or that must surely happen, or any other words hinting that a man is in the slightest control of his own destiny. And the gods are jealous, easily angered, perverse, and swift to thwart." - Under the Thumbs of the Gods

Yes, I run Lankhmar.
>>
>>52877851
Is there a resource I can use to learn about the 5e gods a bit more in depth?
>>
>>52877874
Do your players survive on background radiation?
>>
>>52877862
I agree that it makes it quite subjective. But we do talk it through as a group, generally. It isn't just me as the DM saying "no that's dumb." Again, my group is fairly mature as well.

Also in my experience the people who go overboard on theorycrafting are also the ones to get bored of their character the fastest and move on to the next concept. I encourage these people to save those ideas for the occasional one-shots, and not long campaigns.
>>
>>52877868
Not much more MAD than a regular paladin. A regular paladin isn't likely to have awfully high wis saves anyway. And once it does come online, you've got a paladin making between three and five attacks with rage damage increase and potential reckless attack for advantage and improved divine smite. Worse if they're an oathbreaker for +CHA to every hit, but they're a bit mad and seriously who allows oathbreaker with that sort of thing. It's a pretty suicidal set-up I guess, but paladins are already kings of burst without even more burst.

I don't think the level 10 ability is bad. I don't really think any of the abilities are bad (The level 3 just needs proper wording) but it's the fact that the strong abilities have been left strong while the weak abilities have been made strong that makes it overshadow the totem barbarians in any game where you aren't a true 'tank' (As if the DM ever plays it so all the spellcasters will fire damaging spells at the big beefy barbarian all day) that needed to take bear barbarian or where you really needed wolf barbarian's advantage instead.
>>
>>52877874
>what fucking conflicts?
>a servant of an evil god working alongside the servant of a good god and sworn to smite evil
Gee anon, really made me think. Do you never actually roleplay your character?
>>
File: Guts2.jpg (126KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
Guts2.jpg
126KB, 427x640px
>>52877879
It works just like the Extra Attack feature Fighters have, that stacks.

The 3rd and 10th level features of the PHB Berserker are pure, unadulterated garbage.

Both of them are spectacularly bad on multiple levels.
>>
>>52877983
Necrotic damage? They got that covered.
>>
File: -e20915b9fbfb144f.jpg (141KB, 2000x1089px) Image search: [Google]
-e20915b9fbfb144f.jpg
141KB, 2000x1089px
>>52877988
I'll say it again, with Expertise half-feats there's no good reason for multiclassing besides damage/defensive Optimization. You can make anything else with Archetypes and Backgrounds if you use those Feats.
>>
>>52877311
But tieflings can't get feats at 1st level
>>
>>52877890
Appreciate the input. I kind of figured that Fangs as a Ribbon didn't really count for features - plus, let's be honest, some races get a lot of features - Duergar get 8 if you don't count Superior Darkvision and Extra Language.

For comparison, this is what they looked like in 3.5:

-2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity
Small
Base Speed: 20 feet
Low-light vision
Natural Weapon: Bite (1d4 damage)
Forest Awareness (Ex): +1 racial bonus to all saving throws when in forest terrain.
Gliding (Ex): Can negate damage from a fall by gliding, covering 20 feet of horizontal terrain for every 5 feet descended. They have a glide speed of 20 feet with average manueverability, cannot glide if carrying a medium or heavy load, and falls from the air if it becomes unconscious or helpless whilst in midair.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently (increases to +8 in forests), +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen and Spot.
Favored Class: Rogue
>>
File: Flesh+Blood.jpg (36KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh+Blood.jpg
36KB, 500x214px
>>52878025
>Do you never actually roleplay your character?
Maybe they play them as more complex than Children's Cartoons?

"I can't get along with the Cleric of MWAHAHA-EEEVUL because I'm a Paladin of Buddy Christ!
>>
>>52877933
I agree. While I like the idea behind patron specific invocations I don't like it in practice.

What I would prefer to see is eldritch blast removed as a cantrip and reintroduced as a class feature along with agonizing blast. Then as you gain levels in the class, your eldritch blast receives another upgrade or two. Perhaps at level 1 you get EB, then level 5 you get agonizing, level 11 you get another effect, and level 20 you get the final upgrade.

Something along those lines.
Or if not tied to a patron, tie it instead to the pact.
I would also be okay with removing EB and doing something like the following:

Tome - gets something like EB
Chain - gets some kind of attack given to their familiar that scales well, maybe a touch version of EB
Blade - do more damage than EB but have it be tied to the pact weapon.
>>
>>52878066
Saying it against doesn't make it correct anon.
>>
>>52877789
Depends. If you mean 'lawful evil' off the book, there is no conflict. You're just selfish, and plenty of people in the world are selfish and don't get into conflict.
If you mean 'Worships a god that opposes the rest of the party', then... I guess, don't worship a god that opposes the party?

>>52878030
No, no it doesn't. Extra attack does not stack. You need a unique ability (Extra attack (2)) or (Extra Attack (3)) to 'stack' extra attack.
You don't just say 'you get an extra attack'. Nothing in the book is worded like that, not even 'extra attack' is worded like that.

And, yes, the level 3 and 10 are garbage but the level 6 is great and much better than the other level 6s and the level 14 is on par with the other level 14 abilities at least.

What really needs to happen is that every single barbarian archetype gets a buff of some sort.
>>
>>52878025
Roleplaying won't affect the outcome of "encounter, loot, xp, repeat". If you make a character named Fighter and pick the fighter class and roll with it from level 1 to 20 without uttering a single word, you would still master the game.
D&D conflict is Player vs Monster. It can't handle Player vs Player, unless it is in a combat scenario. Even that dumb morality from WoD is more refined then the D&D 9 circlejerk system.
>>
Warlocks were a mistake
>>
File: Buddy_christ.jpg (31KB, 370x284px) Image search: [Google]
Buddy_christ.jpg
31KB, 370x284px
>>52878096
>>
>>52878066
That's like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>52878112
fine, I'll reword it, stop being pedantic.
>>52878111
Saying "No U" isn't a compelling refutation.

The only thing you need Multiclassing for is Munchkins and Meme-builds. Not a fan of either.
>>
>>52878119
They just rely too much on short rests to be honest. They're either gods in a game or completely fucking useless depending on how many of those you'll get.
>>
File: 1476458271598.gif (760KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1476458271598.gif
760KB, 250x251px
How do I make the party's journey from one end of a kingdom to the other exciting and feel like a proper journey?
>>
>>52878025
Fuck the gods, the divine-dependant players can suck on a dick. We had a cleric of Corellon once who was an absolutely prick. So, we fucking killed Corellon. The cleric is now a level 20 commoner. We regret nothing.
>>
>>52872822
what's the tiny beholder by the humanoid's side?
at first i assumed it was the death kiss but then remembered they are supposed to be large in size.
>>
>>52878113
>master the game
I have a legitimate question; why not just play a video game if the goal is to master it?
Isn't the point of this game to explore an interactive world while cooperatively telling a story?
>>
>>52878066
Oh you're one of those DMs
>>
>>52878119
this
>>
>>52878159
Multiclassing can actually represent roleplaying milestones for your character.

For instance, a Paladin whose devotion is slowly eroded into cynicism, might seek a more mercantile relationship with whatever being he worshipped, resulting in a multiclass to warlock.

A wizard might find his spell pouch taken from him, and seek ways to never be helpless again, multiclassing to fighter. And so on, and so on.

It takes 10 seconds of thought to figure this out, which implies you didn't put 10 seconds of thought into your assertion.
>>
>>52878066
>Expertise feats can't be used for optimization better than multiclassing

I mean, I'll just play my expertise in athletics grapple barbarian then.
>>
>>52878200
Gazer
>>
>>52878119
Nah, balancing most classes around long rests was a mistake.
>>
>>52878112
Lawful evil was the idea. I've just had bad experiences with paladin in older editions that constantly spammed "detect evil" and always being told to "never play an evil character".
Bane is starting to sound like exactly what I'm looking for though.
>>
>>52878208
Yes. If you're the DM. You can make it as cinematic and passioante as you want. God bless you. As the player, your compelling story is how quick you're reaching level XX to unlock "superior ability" and where can I find "THE magical item" that will make my build even more preposterous, so I can tell even more compeling stories of "I'm immune to that now, DM" or "I attack him 10 times and then I teleport away".
>>
>>52878159
>The only thing you need Multiclassing for is Munchkins and Meme-builds. Not a fan of either.

wow what a good argument, you phrased it in such a way that you can essentially just say
>anything I don't like is a meme build
Well done, looks like you won fair and square. Let's pack in in boys.
>>
>>52878247
ah, it looks nothing like the volo's one, but i guess part of the beholder lore is that they are all unique and stuff.
>>
>>52878217
Yeah. Really great roleplaying. I serve the gods of justice to punish evil. They're not that good, so I'll make a pact, soiling my soul forever and becoming ever dependant of the supernatural. AGAIN.
Great way to take things on your hands, broseph. You really showed them!
>>
>>52878312
>paladins have to follow gods

Should we tell him?
>>
File: Red Fang of Shaargas.jpg (83KB, 1182x792px) Image search: [Google]
Red Fang of Shaargas.jpg
83KB, 1182x792px
>>52878295
Yeah, and this was just the concept art. I would argue that most of the stuff by Daarken, Tyler Jacobson and Chris Rahn that DIDN'T get in is way better than the stuff that did, pic related
>>
>>52878260
Paladins and Detection/Protection from Evil and Good have absolutely nothing to do with alignments anymore.
>>
>>52878159
It's hardly pedantic considering how much information is missing.
The following is missing:

Whose turns does it work on?
What types of attacks does it follow (Attack reaction, bonus action attacks, reaction attacks, melee attacks, ranged attacks..?)
What type of attack is it? (Ranged weapon attack, melee weapon attack, weapon attack, any attack including spell attack..)

Fortunately it's well enough implied what kind of action it uses (no action) but if I was actually being pedantic I could say that it needs to be clearer given that the wording is a bit iffy and implies things like getting the 'extra attack' feature which then requires an action, or suchlike.

>>52878260
Yeah, fortunately 5e discarded the 'I detect evil' bullshit. But the thing is, part of the reason it did that is because 'being evil' isn't an objective measure anymore because unless your DM have a setting specific set-up there's nobody to truly brand you evil for your actions, you're just 'evil because you're selfish by personality' and only things like sprites who have 'heart sense' can see that.

To be honest I know jack shit about most of the gods, most of the time the religion roleplay stuff feels a bit tacked on if you start out not even caring about the gods.
Fortunately, paladins don't even have to follow a god now. Heck, I think even clerics can get away by devoutly following a domain instead of a specific god. But, yeah, it'd probably be more interesting to have a god on evil characters
>>
File: 102960318-16.jpg (138KB, 1257x825px) Image search: [Google]
102960318-16.jpg
138KB, 1257x825px
>>52878333
i know, i know, i saved all of their mind flayer concepts. is this from dragon+ right?
>>
>>52878274
I've been both a DM and a player and have never considered the goal to be minmaxing. I've also always made characters based around interesting ideas and not what gets me the most dice rolls.
I guess there's nothing wrong with beer & pretzel ttrpg's. It just sounds like it'd take most of the fun out of it.
>>
File: IMG_0439.jpg (2MB, 3792x2956px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0439.jpg
2MB, 3792x2956px
Working on a demon for my party to fight. They're at levels 1-3.
Hit dice 88 points AC 16
Speed 65 ft.
Wall Walk Phys/Mental saves +5
Spell Save D.C. 15
Resistance to fire/non-magical weapons
Multiattack with Horn and Bite, both +5 to hit
Horn is 1d8+3, bite is 1d6+3
Prehensile tail can pick up weapons and use them to attack or grapple someone
Acid Splash as a cantrip

Party comp is Paladin3, Bard2, Life Cleric2, Sorceror2 but he might not make it, and a Barbarian1.

Pic related is the demon.
>>
>>52877981
The wiki of forgotten realms works as a simple source for info, then you can use their sources.
Deities and Demigods from the magazines are amazing if you like myths.
>>52878312
It doesn't work like that, and people do stupid things often anyway.
>>52878274
I want an airship, another player built a temple and barracks.
Sometimes (hopefully all) your character wants to do something with his loot/power/whatever.
>>
>>52878330
Implying you pick Warlock for "story" and not "this build I saw on the intertnet"
>>
File: Goblin.jpg (102KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin.jpg
102KB, 1200x776px
>>52878358
Dragon+ and their online portfolios
>>
>>52878159
>The only thing you need Multiclassing for is Munchkins and Meme-builds
Anon that is objectively wrong. I played a paladin that multi-classes into ranger because they had spent a year living with a nomadic Orc tribe and picked up their teachings.
Multiclassing can be valid character growth from a story standpoint.
>>
>>52878312
I don't think you know how paladins work. They don't have to seek justice or necessarily punish evil. You can have paladins of anything now, including potential warlock patrons.
>>
>>52878370
If you saw it on the "intertnet" you know you are better off not picking warlock.
>>
>>52878312
>a barbarian witnesses his tribe get fucking decimated by hordes of evil beings and becomes a vengeance paladin

>a sorcerer wishes to gain more power so makes a pact with a an ancient evil

>a retired army veteran fighter wants to go back to school and learn how to cast magic like the 17 year old wizard prodigy in his adventuring group

>The secluded ranger decides to devote himself to the temple of the nature god he reveres and becomes a cleric

There's literally nothing wrong with this.
>The dickass thief wants to get better weapon training and takes some levels in fighter, he can now fight better with two weapons than he could before
Still fine.
>>
>>52878380
That goblin is HUEG
I always envisioned them more knee height
>>
>>52878416
They're still lacking, that's what they are. If you made them an archetype of the Fighter, nobody would notice.
>>
>>52878370
You seem to have distrust for your players.
Do you play with randos online?

If so multiclassing isn't the problem.
>>
>>52878465
Nobody would notice that they're missing everything that makes them a Paladin like say.. the Paladin spells? Or Divine Smite (which uses Spell Slots)? And you know that thing that Fighters don't have except for one archetype? spells and spell slots.
>>
>>52878474
I doubt he plays.
>>
>>52878362
>Everyone is at vastly different levels
>resistance to non-magical weapons
>EIGHTY EIGHT HITDICE
>Assuming you mean 88 hp, that's an effective ~176 HP considering resistances, with an AC that a character will hit ... 50% of the time.
>+5 to ALL saves. Well, I suppose.
>65ft speed because, I mean, screw you wanting to run away from a fight I guess?
>And then its attacks are actually kind of okay and probably lightly underwhelming until it crits except against level 1s that aren't barbarians so that's fine
>Everybody is at completely different levels for whatever reason

So, this is how the fight will go, either:
A) The party grapples it, shoves it to the floor, uses 'command' to make it squeal like a pig and it becomes their bitch because it's probably fighitng alone and therefore a piece of shit
B) The party just whacks it for a while and it whacks them back and it takes a few rounds to kill and it might down one player but the cleric just gets them up again and it dies off after a lot of really kind of boring whacking
C) The players did something stupid like split up the party and they all fucking die

... So, overall, I think you're safe and you shouldn't worry about anything as long as your players aren't drongos, but also what the fuck
>>
>>52878474
Maybe he just don't like warlocks. I don't get the class either. It went from some suboptimal choice from 3.5 to core in 4th and 5ed? Are the animu involved? They are involved right? Fucking animu.
>>
>>52878484
Introducing the Eldritch Knight. He got all that of the arcane. He started as a subclass of the Mand At Arms (the Fighter class) on AD&D, you know?
>>
>>52878362
You don't give resistance to non-magical atacks at that level.
That speed will make it a party killer.
Demons should be immune to poison.
>>
>>52873427
>>52873515
"Whenever you have advantage on an attack
roll, you can reroll one of the dice once."

Why doesn't it just say, "... roll three, use the highest."

You are always going to reroll the lowest on the off chance that it will be higher than the other. Unless it includes damage dice in the reroll opportunities.
>>
>>52878500
To be honest warlocks are the only ones I don't particularly love people dipping into because it often feels a bit forced. But sometimes it can work smoothly.

The warlock dip I see tossed around the most though pretty much confirms to me that these people never play the game.
>devils sight
>darkness from shadow monk

I mean, it seems great right? Until you remember that now the rest of the party can't see shit and you're still just a shitty monk.
So in other words, yes. It is the animu.
>>
>>52878528
>Except for one archetype

I already covered that.

And unlike the Paladin he never gets to 5th Level spells, not to mention he is restricted to two schools and spells known while Paladins have their own list and prepare from the entire thing every day while also getting Oath spells.

Hell this editions Eldritch Knight is more like 3.5e's Duskblade with all those restrictions.
>>
>>52878085
Duergrar also get a penalty in sunlight

Maybe adv on stealth while climbing? Or able to hide in plain sight if thery are climbing or in forests & jungles? Kind of like how wood elves get to hide while lightly obscured by nature or lightfoot halflings can hide behind other people.

I do like the glide tho, i can imagine one of those guys as monks scurrying 20ft up a tree gliding 80ft and flying armbarring some orcs
>>
>>52878484
The only thing making them Paladin is that they sip on the Fighter and then on the Cleric, without adding anything interesting to the mix. But, "muh morals, codes and oaths!" You can make a fucking ROgue LG following all the tenants of the Devotion oath without flinching.
>>
>>52878558
Fucking Duskblade. AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1490769137209.jpg (69KB, 609x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490769137209.jpg
69KB, 609x720px
>>52878576
And yet unlike a Paladin they won't get any power from an oath. Because you know, that's the fucking point of the oaths and paladins taking them.
>>
>>52875112
Considering how few humans I see as PCs in my games, I am not too worried.

>Removing PAM as an option
>Not liking humans with their pointy sticks
>>
>>52878625
I think he's saying you could refluff all the rogue features as drawing power from your oath. Which you could, but that'd be terrible and retarded.

Refluffing in general as a substitute for multiclassing or character options is retarded and terrible.
>>
>>52878181
Personally I make a table and roll for each day of travel. On the table is included random encounters with baddies, people in need of help, random spooky buildings, potential problems with the mode of transportation or terrible weather that might make part loose their way.
>>
>>52878555
And by the way people talk about here, nobody likes warlock either. They just multiuclass as it to grab some goodies.
Every single fuck of any background and class, making a goddamn awful pact just to kill more people.
How does this pact works? What if the DM says "OI, rember that fiend who you sold your soul to? A Solar stepped oin him! Holy shit son, you are depowered!" Now, that is a great roleplaying opportunity right there, if there was ever one.
>>
File: tumblr_o53850POWf1uw9rpwo1_500.gif (519KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o53850POWf1uw9rpwo1_500.gif
519KB, 500x715px
>>52878606
Also what are you screaming about?
>>
>>52878181
Should also add to >>52878649
That I put in some spots where nothing happens to keep it completely random.
>>
>>52876432
If you're still here what was your totem barbarian rework?
>>
>>52878312
>be me
>be devotion paladin
>praisethesun.jpg
>want to praise harder
>convince wizardbro to open a portal to the positive energy plane
>go through
>praisingintensifies.gif
>come out as an undying light warlock
>meet some new bros that like to praise it
>walkaround in bannahamocks
>praise it so hard they can throw light all day everyday
>prasingmontage.zip
>3 levels into sunsoul monk
> all this praising
>notice something in my blood is awaking
>mfw level into phoniex sorc
>???
>Profit

>tl:dr you're a fag
>>
>>52878574
Hmm... that might work, for the stealth tweak. They are supposed to be good at hiding anyway, but they specialize and blending into the trees.

Glad you like the glide racial trait! I've struggled for hours trying to think of how to pull that off satisfactorily. It doesn't read as being too complicated?
>>
>>52878555
>warlocks are the only ones I don't particularly love people dipping into because it often feels a bit forced
>>52878657
>And by the way people talk about here, nobody likes warlock

>tfw you just want to play a cultist
Is that so wrong?
>>
>>52873515
What's your logic with Swashbucklers specifically? I'm interested.
>>
>>52878743
No, you are great, we are talking about multiclass cheese.
>>
File: SunSoul.jpg (43KB, 641x907px) Image search: [Google]
SunSoul.jpg
43KB, 641x907px
>>52878721
>Sun Soul monk

praise
>>
I want to play a thief-type character that dabbles in dark magic, but I don't want spells to key off INT. Either WIS or CHA is acceptable.

What should I play? Was thinking monk with magic initiate or monk X/warlock 2.
>>
>>52878748
As long as he hits the first attack he can waltz the entire battlefield ignoring the DM and all the other players alike complaining, that not one single one of them can't hit him with opportunity attacks.
>>
>>52878783
Dex-Cha -> Bard. Grab skill expertise in stealth and your theive's tools.
>>
>>52878494
Party's at different levels from them joining up at different times, missing sessions, or changing characters. They'll get closer in level as time goes on. As for it being alone, that'd be only if they destroy the sack it's gestating in and being fed by the cult worshipping it, so if they break it it'll wake up early and suck all the cultist souls out. Figured that'd make it even. Also yeah I meant 88HP.
The party is also worn down a bit in spell slots so the cleric's command won't do much as far as I can tell since she won't want to use that instead of healing, I assume.
>>
>>52878657
Ifirc you dont get the power from your patron, they teach you how to use it. So the fiend getting stepped on might stop you from getting more levels in warlock, or it might make your soul go to the devil immediatly above or below your old patron and you have to renigotiate your pact
>>
>>52878780
Im planning a sunsoul assamiar for the next game i get to play in

Ive been replaying xenoverse just for the hype
>>
I played 3.5 for so long that I'm apprehensive about learning a new edition.

Is there a good resource that can get me caught up on the changes? Or should I just read each book cover to cover and learn that way.
>>
>>52878783
Could just go with a refluffed Ninja; that saves you from the multiclassing and feats and still gives you plenty of literally dark (darkness manipulating, illusions, etc) magic based off of Wisdom.
>>
>>52878838
>Song of Rest
>Bardic Inspiration
These really don't fit the mental image I have on this character.
>>
>>52873001
>>52873001
>dragonborn finally get functional scales
>they have to spend a feat for it
>it's still not as good as dragon sorcerer
>>
>>52878845
The command was more of a joke, but if the party knows what they're doing the barbarian can shove it and someone else can grapple it and from there it'd be a painfully easy fight except just turn after turn of wittling away at HP.
Seriously doubt they'd do that, though.
>>
>>52878884
Dex-Wis -> Ranger

Take a criminal background, or something to give you thieve's tools.
>>
>>52878909
The Dragonborn was never good. Pretend it do not exist on your setting, and nobody will ever notice it, ever.
>>
>>52878884
College of Shadows Bard. Spend Bardic Inspiration to cover your weapon in venom. Make someone become shit their pants paranoid because you talked to them for 10 minutes. Kill something and steal its shadow for a disguise that lets you look like them and access their surface thoughts for an hour.
>>
Guys, help me out here.

For thematic reasons, I'm making a Bladelock (well, any melee warlock will do) right, no dips into other classes allowed. Aside from that, any WOTC content is fair game, SCAG, UA, etc etc. We're all starting at level 6, and luckily I rolled pretty great stats (17/16/16/14/14/12).

I already know that making such a build anywhere near competitive is an uphill battle, but for the life of me there doesn't seem to be anything even remotely as good as going Fiend patron and lobbing fireballs at every opportunity (8d6 or half on save, /per creature/).

Any advice?

The only remotely competitive melee orientated idea I can think of (for single target anyway) is using Hex + melee swings (only eats Bonus Actions & 8 hour duration at 3rd level spell slot), which necessitates sinking a feat into either War Caster (adv. on concentration checks) or at least Lucky (3 per long rest, can be used to avoid getting hit via giving disadv. on enemy attack rolls, or adv. for saving throws & concentration checks).

But even assuming every concentration check is successful, let's compare:

Fireball: 8d6 fail on saving throw / 4d6 pass ... For each creature in 20 yard radius.
Hex: Since it's a bonus action, you can still melee attack: First round is 3d6+3* per greatsword hit (could be 0, 1 or 2 hits). Every subsequent round is an additional 1d6 per hit. (*Since STR mod is +3 & hex adds 1d6)

That means you're looking at super roughly:

Fireball: ~6d6 average damage (with 4d6 guaranteed) per person
Hex: ~3d6+3 average damage (could be 0 or 6d6+6) first round, +1d6 on every hit thereafter.

That means you need to land an additional ~2 hits for hex to catch upto one average fireball victim, and 6 additional hits for every victim thereafter. That's 8 and 14 hits for a mere 2 or 3 fireball hits respectively!

Why would I do anything else spell-wise given 2+ guys standing within 15ft?
>>
>>52878783
Warlock 5 (pact of the blade for extra attack) / RogueX
Or
Shadowmonk6/RogueX

Or.. I suppose you could just go monk. But if you're going monk, just go pure shadow monk.
>>
>>52878884
>>52878936
*College of Whispers Bard. Seems i was getting that and Shadow Monk mixed up in names.
>>
>>52878783
>>52878946
Oh-
Or bard.
Bard works well, and you can pick a suboptimal college like college of whispers while still being relevant because bard is already pretty good if played properly.
>>
>>52878961
>>52878936
>>52878925
College of Whispers actually seems to take care of a lot of the issues I had with bard, and I hadn't even considered Ranger. I'll talk to my DM about using UA.

Thanks.
>>
>>52878799
Isn't that just standard for Swashbucklers though?

I play one and although I really like the Elven Accuracy feat, I don't see the massive advantage for me as opposed to our dual-wielding Arcane Trickster. Like, sure, I don't get hit with OppAttacks, but I usually hit anyway - with the Bonus Attack if not with the Action attack.

Is it because you're more likely to hit with the first, then run over to someone else and hit with the second?
>>
Do dragonborn have lips? Can they play wind instruments?
>>
>>52879000
Think of them like turians, so no.
>>
>>52878909
>Dragon Hide can boost Charisma
>+1 AC applies when unarmored

They just made Dragonborn Dragonblood Sorcerers even better. Damage boost for their breath weapon, and better armor.
>>
>>52879015
Disregard that.
>>
Is there a way I can play test a couple encounters before I play with my group? Players are Lv4-5 so they are starting to deal some damage but are still badly hurt by one or two rough rounds. I want to make a challenging encounter but I would rather fight with kid gloves on that have a TPK situation.

I could roll everything out a couple times but I didn't know if there was a site/program that will auto roll for a the basic attacks.
>>
File: d3eeb87ab0fb56f36ea974713f9ca04e.jpg (189KB, 780x1024px) Image search: [Google]
d3eeb87ab0fb56f36ea974713f9ca04e.jpg
189KB, 780x1024px
>>52879011
wut
>>
>>52879000
considering real-world reptile biology, no they shouldn't have lips. However in order to properly speak most languages you would need to have lips.
So yes they can play a wind instrument I guess.
>>
How can I become the ultimate beast master with these new feats?

>forest gnome
>beast mater ranger
>gnome feat
>animal handler feat
>nature cleric dip for charming beasts without a spell slot
>>
>>52879000
>>52879011
What if the instrument has lips?
>>
>>52879057
>tits
triggered.
>>
Anybody have a homebrew for a cleric or paladin subclass based on luck?

My campaign has a god of dumb luck and stupid coincidences and the UA makes me want to make the LUCKIEST HALFLING WHO EVER LIVED
>>
>>52879023
>even better

They were hardly good in the first place, with only the racial +1 to Charisma making them passable.
>>
>>52879057
Mass effect turians skin is armored plates. They don't have lips, Dragonborn are covered in scales and from the official art I've seen are the same but with scales.
>>
>>52879097
Paladin 2 / Wild Magic Sorcerer X
>>
>>52879100
>not liking the +cha on associated damage types
>>
>>52879073
Critter Friend's spells don't use spell slots.
>>
Am I a bad person if I make a Cleric archetype that isn't a domain?
>>
File: 1467376310383.png (499KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
1467376310383.png
499KB, 449x642px
>>52879074
>>
>>52879187
Is it one of those atheist clerics or a holy version of Chaos Undivided from 40k?
>>
>>52879187
Yes, if they don't get something to substitute for domain spells.
>>
>>52873001
I'm glad my players expect me to never allow feats
>>
>>52879139
Once per rest, CON-based DC.

A sorcerer has much better options.
>>
>>52879177
Ah, you're right. Nice.

So I can finally have an army of disposable minions. AKA tiny animals to do my bidding.
>>
File: 200px-Varian_Jeggare.jpg (16KB, 200x465px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Varian_Jeggare.jpg
16KB, 200x465px
>Half-Elf
>Charisma spellcasting
>Everybody's Friend at first ASI

Are they the best party face? They can get expertise in Persuasion and Deception, and if Bard they can grab expertise in Intimidation.
>>
>>52873001
>everybody's friend
>elven accuracy

Is one of the devs playing a half-elf bard?
>>
>>52879335
>D&D
>Face
Why? Ever Why? WHY?
Gygax is raging, wherever he is.
>>
>>52879356
Is Face your trigger phrase? Like BBEG is for some?

>Gygax adventures never allowed for negotiations/seductions/deceptions
>>
>>52879356
>tfw you're the only person who actually has charisma as a primary stat but everyone else has +4 in it just because they like talking
>>
>>52879339
elven accuracy doesn't actually seem so great to me when I think about it.

Right? I mean, it will make your advantage rolls very good when you have them. But you need to have them in the first place. And often having advantage is already enough for what you need. In most cases I'd rather just have +1 to my dex.
>>
>>52879385
what if

elf

barbarian

reckless attack all day

???????????????

profit
>>
>>52879380
>tfw you've got a player that always insists on being party face
>they're the most uncharismatic person in real life and in game it translates into them playing a very uncharismatic character that stumbles over all of their words and never makes any coherent sense.
>feel bad so you just let them make the roll anyway even though they should be rolling with disadv at best

And don't get it twisted. I agree a character should be able to succeed in game where a player cannot. It's just frustrating that this is always their go-to archetype and they're so bad at playing it. She has literally only ever played cha based classes. I don't get it.
>>
>>52879225
but then how do they play classes with arcane magic and melee?
>>
>>52878044
If anything, radiation should probably be radiant.
>>
>>52879380
>Do you have persuasion?
>Of course not. I don't even wrote a charisma value on my sheet.
>What?
>Anyway, I tell them this, this, and then that.
>Well, shit, that's pretty convincing. Ok. You convinced them.
And this is why, D&D can't handle social play. The "Face" is pretty much fluff on a particular setting or "that guy that haggle prices".
>>
>>52879414
Sure, that's not so bad. But elves aren't exactly known for strength, so that extra accuracy can help out an elven barbarian. I'd be cool with it.
>>
>>52879414
>>52879385
>Elf barbarian/rogue
>Reckless attack all day, roll 3d20 for each attack
>3 chances at rolling a crit
>3 chances at getting critical sneak attack

There's also many, many ways to get advantage, such as wolf barbarian, prone enemies, hiding, familiar help, invisibility, etc.
>>
>>52879482
If you were my DM I'd kick you in the dick. Might as well stop players from rolling to hit and just start ballparking whether or not their attack sounds cool.
>>
>>52879482
This is why there's the argument between character and player ability like >>52879447
touches on.

I'm not sure where I fall to be honest. But I kind of prefer players to roleplay however they want and then +cha will just help them if there's a chance their words weren't convincing enough on their own.
>>
>>52879483
It would mean you'd have a very hard time missing with GWM, that's for sure.

Advantage is roughly +5, what is super advantage? +7? +8?
>>
>>52879447
I've never understood why people seem to want to give advantage/disadvantage on charisma checks depending on what is said. You don't give someone disadvantage on history because they don't know anything about Faerun OOC
>>
File: 1491344702289.png (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491344702289.png
5KB, 266x189px
>>52879517
>Encourages role-playing instead of roll-playing
>HOW FUCKING DARE YOU REEEEEE

If someone makes a compelling argument I'll give them a pass. If they give a meh one then they roll, because this is a role-playing game so I give incentives for doing that.
>>
>>52879482
Persuasion is meant to handle all the stuff outside of what you say.

Not everyone wants to sit there while you talk for five hours trying to follow a careful psychological procedure of 'Okay, I have to first get on fair terms with this enemy, because if I just confront him straight up he'll be angry. Once we all calm down and have tea we can start moving onto building a relationship before I start asking them to stop attacking people' and instead the player gives a brief version and rolls persuasion. Bad persuasion means they fucked up some parts of the procedure, didn't come off in the right tone or even just appeared like a cowardly, begging mess. You don't put words in their mouth, though.
>>
>>52879533
No but if their character has little to no fucking clue what it is they are history checking IC then yes you should do that.
>>
>>52879482
>>52879572
Oh, and, I mean, to continue my post since I feel I should say this:

You don't roll when there's no chance of failure in the first place.

If you're just saying one line of text to convince someone something that's entirely believable, why would you even roll for that?

If the player has a compelling argument that there's no reason not to believe, why would you roll?

So things are fine as they are.
>>
>>52879460
Wrong. The DMG states that a Laser Rifle deals radiant damage and an Antimater rifle deals necrotic damage. So clearly, radiance is lasers and necrotic is an awful amount of death, just like radiation is.
And in a side note, every time that your Paladin deals extra radiant damage, he got a laser sword, meaning that with that oath and shit, Paladins are the motherfucking Jedis of D&D.
>>
new thread?
>>
>>52879533
Well that's the thing, right?
This is the unique skill that requires some OOC ability. It's akin to the fighter who has a +5 int modifier that is played by a player who makes the worst tactical decisions in combat.

For this particular player, the problem is they will say something that makes no fucking sense. But wants to roll to persuade based on what they just said. It's just one of those things. As a DM I don't want to pilot your character and be like "well actually I think your character is charismatic enough to have said this instead, roll for persuasion because of that."

Also the game is about roleplaying, and if you don't roleplay well, or in this case you roleplay extremely poorly, then disadvantage can be the result of that.
>>
>>52879460
>>52879610
Technically they're both radiation, lasers just burn through shit while radiation disrupts proteins and degrades DNA. Given one is just concentrated light burns and the other is decay, it makes sense one is radiant and the other is necrotic.
>>
>>52879610
This is now canon in my science fantasy campaign.
>>
>>52879619
New thread >>52879731
>>
>>52879678
What's the similarity between light and radiation? Hint: What do UV-light do to cells?
t's the same fucking thing. Technically Gamma radiation should be super radient, since it contains more energy.
>>
>>52879778
I've always had this idea to where powerful light hurting people in fantasy is from UV Radiation. I didn't quite think of how it applied to D&D, but we have all these Sun- spells that are Radiant.

Similarly, a weakness to sunlight actually comes from it- A vampire can't handle UV Radiation.
>>
>>52879610
Antimatter's not radiation though. It produces it as a side-effect though.

Antimatter just obliterates matter through mutual destruction. If anything it'd be like a gun shooting a stream of sphere-of-annihilation (which interestingly does Force Damage)

On the other hand, Lasers send out a stream of electromagnetic radiation, usually visual light.
>>
>>52876736
>>52876691

Note that it applies to one damage roll of the spell, not multiple rolls (in case people try to argue it affects Scorching Ray because it's separate attacks). Scorching Ray deals 2d6 damage a certain number of times depending on how many hit, and you add Int to one of them. However, Fireball has one roll that hits everyone, so all the targets take 8d6+Int
>>
File: Half-elf waifu.jpg (104KB, 900x896px) Image search: [Google]
Half-elf waifu.jpg
104KB, 900x896px
>>52879483
>elves aren't exactly known for strength
Half-elves qualify for both feats and can start with strength 16 and con 14.

I'm thinking half-elf greatsword champion 5/bearbarian 3. Crit on 27.1% of all the attacks you make. Just get someone to heal you since you'll be a huge target.
>>
>>52879072
So do they have hemipenes?
>>
>>52879566
Logic vs. Persuasion

Role playing out a scene is always good, keeps people active at the game table.

I like how the DMG recommends that you use different levels of acceptance depending on how the recipient might take the arguments. A good roll can get even better reception.
Thread posts: 449
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.