[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: FFG LCG Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 79

File: doji hotaru.jpg (253KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
doji hotaru.jpg
253KB, 848x1200px
The new L5R owners FFG put out a bunch of info on the new LCG version on their site located here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

There's also a designer interview here which got me more interested in the LCG than their site did, to be honest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_IZqqcxxI

This thread is to talk the CCG, new LCG thoughts, RPG stories or mechanical questions and the perennial favorite topic of 'why your favorite clan is shit and mine is best'.

So to start it off, what do people think of that Fate mechanic where your cards drift out of play over the course of a game? I actually like the idea, so rather than losing all your dudes in a conflict it is more about rationing resources to make sure you have what you need when those conflicts happen.
>>
File: 1382258732512.jpg (304KB, 1000x786px)
1382258732512.jpg
304KB, 1000x786px
>>
File: bayushi kurumi 1.jpg (374KB, 800x590px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi kurumi 1.jpg
374KB, 800x590px
>>
File: lion stronk.jpg (444KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
lion stronk.jpg
444KB, 1500x1125px
>>
File: kakita actors.jpg (167KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kakita actors.jpg
167KB, 640x480px
Man did I just pick a dead time to make this thread? Usually by now there'd at least be someone in here to say L5R sucks and we should all go kill ourselves for liking it at least.
>>
>>52853537
who else is hoping that gender-bent hoturi is still hot for the Wick-fu?
>>
File: bayushi kachiko 1.jpg (37KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi kachiko 1.jpg
37KB, 640x425px
>>52854383
Lesbian cross clan political drama is okay with me.
>>
>>52853537

I'm pretty much in love with cards being temporary. Especially being able to pay extra to keep them longer. Hoping for cards that interact with the mechanic in interesting ways.

Just need to be able to make viable family themed decks and it will check all of my boxes.
>>
>>52854383

They will pair her up with Shoju for the extra twist. You can screencap this.
>>
>>52854515
>Just need to be able to make viable family themed decks and it will check all of my boxes.
That'll probably take a few story expansion boxes to get enough cards for that.
>>
>>52854619

I'm hoping they'll orient each dynasty pack towards a family, so I can just get one and have a Kitsuki deck.
>>
>>52854528
But Shoju was always faithful to his waifu
>>
>>52854711
The core box is going to have a deck per clan. How do you think the later releases are going to go? I honestly assumed it would be less than one deck per but give everyone something new to entice people who play any clan to buy everything possible.
>>
File: bitches.jpg (633KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
bitches.jpg
633KB, 1280x851px
>>
>>52854744

Well, and Hoturi was always a dude. Your point?
>>
>>52854875
It isn't like he and his wife suddenly traded which one was the horribly ugly one under the mask or something.
>>
>>52854820

I'm guessing all the later releases will have something for every clan, just to keep them all competitive. I guess I'm really hoping that each clan's part of each release will be themed around families, schools, or whatever instead of of being a generic cross-section of the clan.
>>
>>52854515
We're probably just getting clan decks to start with. Family focuses come later.
>>
I'd give it a year or so before we have multiple genuinely different archetypes for most clans. I could see Yasuki dishonour only really being introduced as a part of a Crab-focused deluxe box, for example. Seven clans is a lot to make cards for.
>>
>>52854820
It's going to follow the LCG model. Once a month a pack with 60 cards (3 copies of 20 new cards) is released. This will have cards for all clans Every few months (6-ish) they will release a premium box, that has more cards and is more focused; likely on one clan, or a story event that features two clans.
>>
>>52853537
Alright I've never L5R's in my life but the new game looks dank.

What clan should I mindlessly pledge myself to and why? I understand tribalism is a large part of this game's history.
>>
>>52855338
Crab. Pinch pinch.
>>
>>52855490
What's cool about being a crab? What do I get to be proud of?
>>
>>52855338
What fantasy Japan trope fits you?

Lion - Honor in battle (total dicks). Most Samurai
Crane - Art and martial dueling are equal pursuits
Scorpion - Secret (sort of) left hand spies of the Empire. Ninjas and geishas
Crab - Fuck no you can't get past us, demons! Give 'em the tetsubo.
Unicorn - Matriarchal horse-riding gaijin
Dragon - Monks and dragon people
Phoenix - Power at the possible cost of your soul
>>
>>52855510
Possible future faction options:

Shadowlands: The bad stuff, oni.
Mantis - Thunder Pirates
Nezumi - Ratfolk
Naga - Lizardfolk
>>
>>52855310
How much is this pack going to cost? I am thinking of getting into a card game for the first time ever here, but don't have a ton of discretionary income to drop the cost of a new computer game or something once per month.
>>
>>52855543

First box should be around $40 and let you make a starter deck for each of the 7 great clans.
>>
File: utaku eun-ju.jpg (64KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
utaku eun-ju.jpg
64KB, 700x500px
>>52855510
Please also note that the Scorpion aren't just ninjas, they have a strong court and a few martial traditions too and the Unicorn are only matriarchs in the Utaku family. The ruling Shinjo (and in the AEG canon, later on the Moto) were usually just oldest child inherits.

Though the present Shinjo champion is a grill, that's probably their attempt to diversify the champions than a statement on the clan.
>>
>>52855565
And the monthly ones? I can save up for a high one time entry cost pretty well but if I get into it I'll want to be able to keep an updated deck going to my FLGS. What do Netrunner monthly pack costs look like?
>>
>>52855506
Being more pragmatic than most. A wide variety of surly clanmates. Holding the wall against literal actual hell. Heavy armor and heavier weapons. Burly heavies. Sneaky scouts. Scary shugenja. Clever engineers. Jew-like merchants. Ghostbusters once the Falcon clan rejoins. More minor clan spinoffs than any three other clans combined.
>>
>>52855510
Hmm... Yes I see and what is the cute girl ratio like?

Bare in mind this is very important.
>>
>>52855635
All clans have them, Unicorn and Lion have two families that are hard/soft matriarchal respectively so they have more cute warrior girls than average due to that.
>>
>>52855543
$120 to get started (3 copies of core set at $40, look I can explain why this isn't as bad as it seems, but the short version is this is how they do it, just commit to the concept)

Monthly packs are $15
Deluxe packs are $30
Monthly packs will rotate out after 3ish years.
Core and deluxe will never rotate out.

Packs are never random, if you check the database(once it exists) you'll know what's in a given pack.
>>
File: Crab.png (484KB, 639x807px) Image search: [Google]
Crab.png
484KB, 639x807px
>>52855506

You are dude in a heavy-ass armor wielding a big-ass mace. That's all. Awesomeness in simplicity. You aren't turning every story into some moral lesson, you aren't fainting from the smell for blood, you aren't too smart for your own good, and you are not a shadow/horse obsessed weirdo. You are just a brawny dude who hits things and feels good because of it. You are as complex as a brick and completely obvious to it. No depth, no restrains, no nothing, just hitting stuff and being hit until Emma-O comes for you.
>>
>>52855676
So the best long term investment is just the core (or cores) you get and then the deluxe packs? If I just get the core would that be okay for casual play or is it 'technically' playable but not really? Because I'm going to try and get one core and use it to goad a friend into taking the plunge with me. I think he'd like the Lion and Crab and since I really was interested in playing Unicorn, Crane or Dragon I don't mind parting with those.
>>
File: YmEiYGy.png (232KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
YmEiYGy.png
232KB, 300x418px
>>52855338
Personally I liked Mantis the best, and they aren't in core (and the fact that Dragon is green instead of yellow keeps throwing me off).

Next is a tie between Dragons for kung-fu and Phoenix for awesome Shugenja.

Crab is boss Their old clan champion had an ability that the first time you killed him each turn, he didn't die. The other Clan champion pick anyone weaker than him and killed them.

I always wanted to like Unicorn, but I got into the game shortly after Cavalry had been OP, so AEG had nerfed them into the ground.
>>
>>52855723
You want the small packs too. They are going to be important to the meta. Don't worry about the rotating thing. It only matters in competitive play and happens rarely enough that it doesn't hurt the wallet the way it can in Magic.

Basically if you get in at the start you pay a $120 start up with a $15 monthly fee and occasional $30 splurge. And to be clear, this is to own every card in the game. You feel like trying a new clan out? Meta shifts and you need to change tactics? Wanna build a deck to show your friend how to play? No problem, you already have the cards.
>>
>>52855784
The Dragon clan has always had green as one of their colors.
>>
File: UfzgyEp.png (237KB, 441x280px) Image search: [Google]
UfzgyEp.png
237KB, 441x280px
>>52855995
Sure, but this is like literally Mantis green.
>>
File: Mirumoto_Kenzo_2.jpg (118KB, 640x502px) Image search: [Google]
Mirumoto_Kenzo_2.jpg
118KB, 640x502px
>>52856084

People tend to forget that the Dragon is the original Green Clan. They were "Mantis Green" well before it became a thing.
>>
File: showimage.jpg (74KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
showimage.jpg
74KB, 428x600px
>>52856084
This is AEG Mantis
>>
File: CoM_Final-141.jpg (1MB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
CoM_Final-141.jpg
1MB, 750x1050px
>>52856161
>>52856141
Their clothes were green, but their border has always been yellow.
>>
>>52856161
This seems far busier than
>>52856084

What was the old game like? How did it flow? What do all those numbers mean?
>>
File: 1417744821633.jpg (755KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1417744821633.jpg
755KB, 1600x1200px
After closely examining the image, answer the following questions correctly.

>Why is the Lion lying on top of the Dragon?

>Why is the Crab groping the Unicorn's thighs?

>Who's the bland lady dressed in green in the back?

>Where are the Scorpion's hands?

>Why do none of them look Asian?

>What is the Spider even wearing on her legs?

>Is the Phoenix's back okay?

>Why does the Crane look a little autistic?
>>
>>52855723
A single core alone is technically playable with a friend or something. You can just buy that for 40 bux, see if the game's fun and then commit. But don't expect to be able to do any deckbuilding out of that.

If you want to get into it casually, you can just buy 2-3 cores, maybe a monthly pack every now and then, and deluxes if they focus on the clan you happen to like.
>>
>>52856238
Yeah FFG cleaned up the cards. Downside, way more tokens.

The old game was all about timing. When you lost a battle, all your dudes there died. So over commiting was game losing. It tended to hinge on a really important battle, and tended to be an arms race.

FFG has stated that this is the thing they want to remove, making a game that has the feel of the world, but not necessarily the previous game. The games are pretty different, and should be treated as separate entities.
>>
>>52856238
Top left - Force - Military strength. Basically the same as the Military skill in the new game.
Top Right - Chi - Used in dueling certain other cards.
Center Left - Honor Requirement - How much honor you had to have before you could recruit them
Center Center - Gold cost - how much gold the unit costs
Center Right - Personal Honor - how much honor you gained if you bought them (can only gain honor this way once per turn)

Then the bottom stamps are just edition and set stuff.
>>
>>52855890
That's still a fair bit up front that I'd rather not pay with my hourly job money, but I guess it is months to go and it is easy to set aside a few bucks in cash at a time.

L5R has a huge built in fan base already (I mean I've been playing the RPG for almost a decade now), so what was the game store scene like before AEG sold the franchise? I've got a pretty big combined comic/game place near me but I usually use them for my comic needs. I tend to go digital for RPGs so don't really know what a decent crowd for game days looks like. Their MtG day usually falls on new comic day and has like 6-10 people after lunch though, usually.
>>
File: ss (2017-04-23 at 02.48.55).jpg (919KB, 1896x945px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-23 at 02.48.55).jpg
919KB, 1896x945px
>>52856282
A peasant.

Not all asains have gorilla face
>>
File: kakita akitomo.jpg (29KB, 384x270px) Image search: [Google]
kakita akitomo.jpg
29KB, 384x270px
>>52856282
>>Why is the Lion lying on top of the Dragon?
To show her dominance

>>Why is the Crab groping the Unicorn's thighs?
Symbolizing the unity of their clans after Hida O-Ushi married one of their own who then taught them the secrets of effective cavalry.

>>Who's the bland lady dressed in green in the back?
A really boring Mantis

>>Where are the Scorpion's hands?
Hiding the knife

>>Why do none of them look Asian?
Artist shittery

>>What is the Spider even wearing on her legs?
Awesome spider web pattern leggings.

>>Is the Phoenix's back okay?
No

>>Why does the Crane look a little autistic?
Inbreeding in the kuge for a millenium, mostly. The fact Kakita and his sister were both perfectionists and probably on the spectrum at the very beginning didn't help.
>>
>>52856356
>A peasant

We are not amused.
>>
>>52856446
Bugposter go.
>>
>>52856326
Due to the nature of the core set giving you extra cards, you can probably get away with buying only one core set and buying singles to fill out the rest.
>>
File: halfasiandude.jpg (105KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
halfasiandude.jpg
105KB, 630x1200px
>>52856282

I think the Rokugani people are supposed to me more like mixed asian/caucasian (like pic related) rather than straight asian.
>>
>>52856504
Where does one buy LCG singles from?
>>
>>52856504
I was honestly just thinking about this. Given how L5R tends to attract single clan loyalty, even with the presence of all clans being out of the core box some people might just sell the clan cards they don't intend to use to recoup some cost.

What are the odds someone might buy three sets for competetive play, but since they only play Crab or something sell the other clan cards from the core for a bit of money back?
>>
>>52856282
Because the shot is weirdly framed, so they can't spread out.

Why is that a problem? They're whores.

Mantis
Behind her back like a good "submissive"

It's L5R

Asymmetrical fishnets. Comon, be honest, you were just trying to come up with a question for each girl.

Has a girl never posed for you? It'll hurt if she holds it for more than a minute, but arching your back is generally seen as sexy.

Yeah, I think it's the forehead?
>>
>>52856535
Team Covenant did it for netrunner, so odds are they'll do it for l5r. Of course that really only works if there's more than 1 copy of cards people actually want per core set. Who knows how it'll shake out?
>>
>>52856528
Depends on the clan. Unicorn is sort of Mongul inspired.

>>52856535
You don't for the most part. Team covenant sells a number of Faction packs, but they sell out quickly. There is no randomization, so there no real singles market.
>>
>>52856553
More likely two people will go in on a set together. The problem is, a large portion of the action cards are probably going to be neutral.
>>
File: 1413669159159.jpg (220KB, 1260x866px) Image search: [Google]
1413669159159.jpg
220KB, 1260x866px
>>
>>52856282
My paladin wants to redeem a succubus
Elf slave wat do
Have you tried not playing DnD?
Something something black people
Something something cis people
I miss Quest threads
New Sisters of Battle when?
4u
>>
>>52856644
>>52856611
>>52856594
Those of you who know how FFG handles factions in their card games, assuming they don't change anything to fit with the fervant factionalism of L5R players (which they might) what do we expect the way the game represents different clans and gets cards into hands look like?
>>
>>52857295
Could you maybe phrase that question without using a long, run-on sentence?
>>
File: phoenixes.png (1MB, 1126x683px) Image search: [Google]
phoenixes.png
1MB, 1126x683px
>>52857210
You lost me on the Phoenix one.
>>
>>52857322
Sorry.

The core set is going to have cards for all factions in it. Will the monthly expansions have stuff for everyone or will it be themed around a few factions at a go? Or will the themes be more 'this month we're doing something for the court players out there'? L5R has some serious clan identity stuff with players so I was thinking that people who only want to play clan X are going to have to deal with having giant stacks of cards for clans Y, Z, and U as well. I am preemptively trying to figure out if there's some kind of aftermarket possibility for building single clan decks.
>>
File: 1429557594636.jpg (304KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1429557594636.jpg
304KB, 1024x1280px
>>
>>52857341
Sorry, was running out of shit that /tg/ says every day.
>>
>>52857380
In netrunner at least, the expansions contain 20 new cards printed at 3 copies each. There were 7 factions to netrunner, but as an asymmetrical game it had 9 types of cards. The 3 Runner factions, the 4 Corp factions, and the 2 "neutral" factions (one corp, one runner). Typically at least one card for each of these groups is printed, but sometimes they focus more one a single faction during a specific pack, and at least once a faction had no new cards released in a pack.

With all that said, there will likely be some kind of system that allows you to use other clan's cards in your deck. This was called influence in netrunner, and basically every deck is built with their influence maxed out, because there's no real reason not to. You're going to want to keep the cards of factions you don't play because they could be nice additions to your deck.
>>
File: holy shit rice.jpg (416KB, 1280x993px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit rice.jpg
416KB, 1280x993px
>>52857478
>In netrunner at least, the expansions contain 20 new cards printed at 3 copies each. There were 7 factions to netrunner, but as an asymmetrical game it had 9 types of cards. The 3 Runner factions, the 4 Corp factions, and the 2 "neutral" factions (one corp, one runner).

So you'd get about two new cards per Clan per expansion unless it is a 'this month we're doing Crane' seem like a reasonable guess? I mean before they start adding minor clans or other factions.
>>
>>52857606
It's reasonable to assume that as a baseline, though don't put stock into it.
>>
File: bow.jpg (170KB, 1399x1000px)
bow.jpg
170KB, 1399x1000px
>>52857630
That's not too bad. How long do you think it'll take for the first deluxe set? I figure the deluxe boxes are where the story will be moved. The monthlies might come packages with a few stories themed around what's in there, but I figure that the major thrusts will be in the nice boxes.
>>
>>52857658
If I had to guess based on netrunner's release schedule? Core launched, then after a month or so it was 6 months of data packs (expansions). Then a month after that they released the first deluxe box featuring only Shaper and Haas-Bioroid cards. So there's no telling exactly what the Deluxe boxes will shape up to be... except we know they're intended to be stand-alone games in addition to being expansion packs. So 1 clan vs 1 clan seems likely to me.
>>
File: castle by the sea.jpg (399KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
castle by the sea.jpg
399KB, 1280x960px
>>52857757
>except we know they're intended to be stand-alone games in addition to being expansion packs
>So 1 clan vs 1 clan seems likely to me.

So like one full deck per each of the included factions maybe? That sounds pretty tight to me actually. Might be where we'll get more fleshing out mechanically the clans to the fluff. Like one might be a court focused box focusing on Crane and Scorpion or something?

I'm just trying to grok how this is going to go mostly, I'm not at all used to this LCG release cycle thing.
>>
File: aggressive crane.jpg (235KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aggressive crane.jpg
235KB, 640x480px
>>
File: doji makoto.jpg (112KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
doji makoto.jpg
112KB, 500x700px
>>
File: daidoji akeha.jpg (286KB, 950x694px) Image search: [Google]
daidoji akeha.jpg
286KB, 950x694px
>>
I want to see some distraction ninjas.
>>
>>52857823
They don't usually do decks outside of the core set more like a bunch of new options for 1 or 2 factions.

Or a new faction when they do that. First deluxe is almost assuredly going to make shadowlands a faction.
>>
>>52859284
>shadowlands a faction.
That would be retarded with how they set up the new game.
>>
>>52859218
>Ninjas

Nonsense. There is no such thing, the Emperor declared it to be so and the Scorpion helped him make it happen! They wouldn't lie to the Emperor would they?
>>
File: 1466224726229.jpg (155KB, 638x825px) Image search: [Google]
1466224726229.jpg
155KB, 638x825px
>tfw no unicorn clan bf
Can't wait to make a cavalry rush deck with breakthrough to provide enough pressure to close out games really quick and have anti-aggro autists scream at me
>>
>>52859284
I can't actually imagine a way for a Shadowlands faction to work in the LCG. The honour mechanics simply don't make sense for them.

They can't reasonably dishonour themselves out, so why not just draw 5 cards every turn? Why not just bet max on every duel? And they'd just be an auto-win against dishonour decks.

I recognise that the old CCG shared some of these problems, but let's face it, that shit was busted as fuck and FFG likes to actually keep their games (somewhat) balanced and avoid auto-winning matchups.

It seems much more sensible to just print neutral shadowlands cards.
>>
>>52859318
Hey man, if you can put a deck together that lets you turn one or two do the three province and stronghold break thing more power to you.
>>
>>52859322
Probably have special 'eat your honor rather than fate' to play them rules or something.
>>
>>52855635
Crab/Lion/Unicorn - Strong girls who dont need no man (less populous in Crab, Lion and Unicorn pretty strong elements).
Scorpion/Crane - Kawaii as fuck court girls
Phoenix - Priestess girls
Dragon - Toss up. Could be strong samurai girls, could be bald tattooed monk girls.
>>
>>52855784
It's going to fuck me up that this art used to belong to a stronghold hold and now it's on a person
>>
>>52859410
>Crab
>Strong girls who dont need no man

Clearly you haven't been introduced to the Crab's breeding program
>>
>>52859352
I sure hope I can. I love taking people by surprise with really fast decks. Just comes down to how powerful doing both your conflicts in a row is
>>
>>52859410
>>52855697
>>52855784
>>52855510
Gotta say folks I think Crane my win out, I am a bit of a ponce at heart.
>>
File: asako kinuye.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
asako kinuye.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>52859505
I'm one of the people considering taking the dive into the cards for the first time after years of the RPG since the LCG format looks simpler to assemble decent decks with. I'm not even sure what style I'd like to play more, just know which clans I like.

Luckily my three favorite clans all sit on the corners of the court/war/magic spectrum so depending on which I like more I have an easy pick to go with.
>>
File: FQL7t.png (162KB, 1338x535px) Image search: [Google]
FQL7t.png
162KB, 1338x535px
>>52859525
Good man. Now learn what Crane's rivalries and ancestral enemies are and swear your vengeance on the people who play those clans IRL.
>>
>>52859568
Double luckily for you you get a starter deck for every single clan too.
>>
File: crane letter.jpg (257KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
crane letter.jpg
257KB, 800x673px
>>52859525
That's fine, Crane are rad as shit. People hate them because they got some awful wankery back in 2e which soured a ton of people and because Crab are one of the most popular clans around this board and the Crab don't think much of the Crane. Too soft, no appreciation for what they do, etc.
>>
>>52859584
>Tfw you realise you will genuinley encounter autismos who don't like you because you're unicorn clan
Oh boy can't wait for that
>>
File: 1408513835622.jpg (410KB, 800x669px) Image search: [Google]
1408513835622.jpg
410KB, 800x669px
>>52859593
But, I should go on, the hype is legit. They are the best artists, best duelists, and have a solid military family. Some Crane may be stuck up, and those are the worst, but there's a lot of interesting flavors inside them. You can have radical courtiers as much as duelists as much as Daidoji Iron Warriors.
>>
File: asahina asahiko.jpg (195KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
asahina asahiko.jpg
195KB, 1280x1011px
>>
>oh cool a proper eastern style rpg system, let me take a look at the sett-
>biggest cities in the empire have 10k population
Aaaaaaaaand dropped. Why is Rokugan stuck around 4000 BC socially speaking?
>>
File: court.jpg (149KB, 1200x958px) Image search: [Google]
court.jpg
149KB, 1200x958px
>>52859708
I ignore that, it makes zero sense given how dense the population is narratively stated to be and with the actual numbers we got for clans in 2e. Which may or may not be really accurate to anything but even the 'tiny' dragon had a million+ population.

Remember game fluff writers often don't know the first thing about demographics.
>>
>>52859593
>>52859584
>>52859633
I love the dualist aspects and the honour wank; I may try Unicorn as well because CAVALRY but I've never really enjoyed aggro play. Looking forward to my time with the game.

>>52859708
If you drop setting based on pop. numbers you are going to be disappointed very often.

Captcha just asked me to identify the type of sign wtf?
>>
File: bayushi nitoshi is best nakado.jpg (2MB, 3501x2484px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi nitoshi is best nakado.jpg
2MB, 3501x2484px
Goddamn, I just went to skim the FFG forums and these people are horrible. The mechanics discussion and fluff aren't bad, but all it takes is one person to make the whole thing descend into an unending bitchfest. At least here the threads eventually end and wash off the board allowing people to get some sleep and move on after a thread of infighting..

All things pass. Mono no aware
>>
File: thefuckingman.jpg (143KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
thefuckingman.jpg
143KB, 628x480px
took a look at the new lore for L5R...

>the FUCK?
>WE CLAN WAR AGAIN!!!!!
>Yokuni is back!
>Shoju is back
>Kisada is back
>i am guessing 10 years before the Kuso hits the Tessen

>YES!!!!

not too keen on fate though....we need at least 5 on some important characters
>>
>>52859926
Welcome to the official forums of any game company. I've always found dicussing on official forums outside of support and help kind of weird. You wouldn't go on a Heinz forum to discuss culinary r-right? You'd go on a user run food forum
>>
File: you won't die probably.png (563KB, 848x780px) Image search: [Google]
you won't die probably.png
563KB, 848x780px
>>52859942
I imagine it might be kept lower to account for the economy of extra fate to make them last.
>>
>>52859942
Fate will make or break the game, it will either produce one of the greatest innovations of modern card game design or will be badly balanced and make high or low cost cards useless.
>>
>>52859593
>hey Crane you should respect us more, we hold the line against armies of demons every week, sacrifice dozens of lives to keep the realm safe, at least fucking send us some of your surplus rice before we all die and you find a goblin pissing on your favourite statue
>WOW CRAB, you're not the only person who STRUGGLES around here, you know how HARD it is to be beautiful enough to be worth protecting? Really hard, and to prove that we war you now.

From modern day moral perspectives at least, the Crane really seem to come off poorly.
>>
File: L5R___Fun_by_perca.jpg (584KB, 600x2081px) Image search: [Google]
L5R___Fun_by_perca.jpg
584KB, 600x2081px
>>52860034
I have hopes for it, but you're right. Its an economy that if you misbalance it will make either cheap generics pointless or high cost special characters useless.
>>
File: crab woman.jpg (70KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
crab woman.jpg
70KB, 640x472px
>>52860158
Yeah, the Crane point about their work making the Empire worth protecting is kind of arrogant (what, like the other clans don't have artists?) but not wrong. And the Crab aren't all just 'give us some respect' some are dismissive of art and culture as pointless to the point of arrogance themselves.

When you get a Crane with any insight (or a Daidoji trained one) and able to give respect or a Crab who isn't resentful of people whose lives are less bloody and dark to be rude and dismissive of everyone else's lives they aren't so terrible. But then where's the conflict?
>>
Reminder that Doji totally EULA'd the rules of Rokugan etiquette into existence.

>Onii-sama! Onii-sama!
What is it, Doji-san?
>Look at these rules I wrote for how people should act in court, Onii-sama!
But it's over a thousand pages long, Doji-san.
>Just read the first few pages! I promise it's sensible! Pleeease, Onii-sama?
Fine, fine. Have it your way, Doji-san. It doesn't seem too silly. From now on, our courts will follow these rules.
>JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU.
>>
>>52860158
This only makes me want to play Crane more!

I'll file my nails and doddle while my opponents take their turns.
>>
>>52860250
And then they used those rules to make iaijutsu duels the standard conflict resolution method, and just coincidentally had the best iaijutsu duelists in the Empire at hand. The early centuries of the Crane were hilariously opportunistic, which is just great.
>>
>>52860252
If you want to really commit to this you need to lurk on /fa/ and basically come in impeccably dressed to tournaments (are they still going to be called kotei?) while sporting a blue and white theme somewhere. Don't come in kimono cosplay, be a modern Crane.
>>
>>52860506
Would memorising Haiku to fire off at will add to the effect?
>>
>>52860814
>Just one haiku
Step it up, Doji-san. Memorize a couple victory and defeat ones.
>>
>>52860893
Is the plural of Haiku not Haiku?
>>
>>52860939
I thought you wrote 'a haiku' not just 'haiku'. That was on me.
>>
Don't suppose anyone here has seen that chart that shows how the clan colours originally formed a specific pattern? Can't find it now, and I can't remember exactly what it was.
>>
>>52859410
>Could be strong samurai girls, could be bald samurai girls.
FTFY. Your chances of finding a tattooed monk girl are a fraction of 500 out of roughly 200,000.
>>
File: 1397100145427[1].png (173KB, 572x642px) Image search: [Google]
1397100145427[1].png
173KB, 572x642px
>>
File: 3069487863_6a9067bfa5_b.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3069487863_6a9067bfa5_b.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
>>
File: DSCN5054.jpg (5MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5054.jpg
5MB, 4000x3000px
>>52853537
>listening to the designer interview.
>big pivotal L5R battle w 4-5 characters a side

>pic is an old match against an old friend, 4 hour game.

Pussies.
>>
File: l5c01_art_16.png (396KB, 700x435px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_art_16.png
396KB, 700x435px
>>52861590
There's a monk chick right in the preview article
>>
>>52854711
I had an old MonGistrate deck. Monks and magistrates that had dueling shit, load the fate deck with Kihos and duels. The win condition was the version of Hitomi that could battle action, duel a guy, beat him and take control of that guy and give him the tattooed trait. Give her Niten and dual bloodswords (ran the dragon stronghold that you could put fate cards under and bow to draw one of them) and let her wreck house. She only lost twice, once to Grey Cran exp 90000 cause seriously you don't beat that guy, and once to false hoturi using reed in the wind. Fucker.
>>
>>52854383
>>52854875
I keep telling you guys, Hoturi always had a vag even in the original timeline.
>>
File: Crab courting gift.jpg (45KB, 385x288px) Image search: [Google]
Crab courting gift.jpg
45KB, 385x288px
>>52855635
This is Hida O-Ushi. She was Crab Clan Champion for a time
>>
File: NanbanDo.jpg (85KB, 278x541px) Image search: [Google]
NanbanDo.jpg
85KB, 278x541px
Lost my old computer files. Anyone got a link to some of the 4th edition books?

I've been working from memory, making a GURPS clone, but I need a refresher on some of the lore elements.
>>
>>52863744
Don't be obtuse, if you can help it.

There's roughly 500 Togashi at any given time. The dragon armies stand at 200,000 samurai as of the beginning of the clan wars.

If you're looking for waifu, the chances of that being a tattooed monk are slim to none.
>>
>>52864302
Have you tried the archived /l5rg/ threads?
>>
With the upcoming LCG release will people still be buying anything of the CCG? I've already got a couple decks from the CCG that I try to play with whenever I get the chance. I'm mostly wondering if everyone will drop the old stuff and only get the LCG sets now or does anyone still play with the older sets
>>
>>52865057
There's a vague possibility if the LCG isn't great... but I think either way the old L5R CCG is not long for this world.
>>
>>52864865
The one I checked was DMCA'd to hell and back. Nothing.
>>
>>52865057

Check out a program called Sun and Moon for the CCG, basically a Deck Builder/ Online Platform
>>
>>52865158
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/l5r%20general/page/2/

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/c7tfqff9sqp71/L5R
>lots of stuff from 4e and previous editions

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xpa768hxwcezl/RPG#2nbbe1kyny4qo
>some other 4e stuff can be found here (9th link from the top)
>>
>>52865253
I'll definitely check it out. I'm not too familiar with the cards since I only recently got into it and don't get to play often but hopefully this will help, thanks
>>
File: l5r_nezumi.jpg (45KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
l5r_nezumi.jpg
45KB, 500x350px
>>52865267
Found what I needed in the 4plebs archive. The two mediafires you linked are graveyards though, that's what I found the first time. Thanks for the spoon-feeding, it's appreciated.
>>
>>52865751
>The two mediafires you linked are graveyards though
So they are. Why would you ask others to be posted here, when they're being sniped?
>>
File: 1490410185306.png (224KB, 662x614px) Image search: [Google]
1490410185306.png
224KB, 662x614px
Good morning Unicorn Clan!
>>
>>52867068
Good evening, golden bitch.
>>
File: utaku cavalry.gif (625KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
utaku cavalry.gif
625KB, 500x363px
>>52867068
>>
>>52864831
That's just armies too not counting bushi in other roles, courtiers, non military shugenja, and non militant samurai monks
>>
>>52867068
Gooooooood morning, Vietnam!
>>
>>52867784
No.

>The general population of samurai in Rokugan runs about two million.
>Crab: 300,000
>Crane: 150,000
>Dragon: 200,000
>Lion: 500,000
>Phoenix: 100,000
>Scorpion: 200,000
>Unicorn: 270,000
>Minor/Ronin: 200,000

Fill the rest with monks if you have to. They're still a barely present minority within the Dragon clan, no matter how you quibble over the numbers.

>But I'm A Courtier, Not A Fighter!!!!
>Even if your (status) rank 4 character is more courtier than warrior, you are still considered to be a Chui.
>Even if you have a Battle skill of 1, and don't know one end of a naginata from the other.
>Sometimes samurai are given command over a unit of men for the sake of ceremony, when the actual command goes to the man directly below them in rank.
>Not only is this very "polite", but it also prevents military disasters.
>>
>>52867784
(Yeah, I misread that. Still disagreeing with the details)
>>
>>52868013
>crane lower pop than Dragon

They're canonically one of the highest population clans but with only one standing army. I think you're quoting military numbers there based on that.
>>
>>52868013
>>52869051
That is EXACTLY the army size numbers given out in first edition Way of the Lion. That is army size, and for that matter it's been said later on that the Lion Clan can't maintain a 500,000 man army for long periods of time. If that's just standing Samurai, then there's a shitton more Ahisgaru as well as all the non combatants needed to keep a fighting force working. It's also admitted that the Crab would love to keep a bigger army, since they are in a constant state of war, but attrition keeps them down ABOUT that level.
>>
Does anyone have the pdfs for the game?
I have the main book I was able to get at my local gamestore but since the buyout they dont seem to get the other books anymore and Id like to have them but there is no option.
Drive Thru is also saying it would take like 7 weeks and a shit ton of money to print the books.
>>
>>52869663
If you look in the PDF thread or just actually take a few minutes to google for them yourself you'll find them.
People should probably be wary of posting direct links to folders here. I've noticed a fair few have been taken down.
>>
>>52862156
What is this abomination? Another kind of pekkle oni?
>>
>>52869880
Clearly a pious Centipede clan shugenja.
>>
File: 1479968834128.jpg (72KB, 700x461px) Image search: [Google]
1479968834128.jpg
72KB, 700x461px
>>52869051

It is the samurai pop and not general pop. The Dragon has more samurai than the Crane, because two of their families (Agasha and Mirumoto) are fuckhuge, while the Crane has only one family (Daidoji) with considerable numbers.
>>
>>52870359
Alternatively, as they discount precisely this line of thinking in the quoted text, perhaps the numbers are just off.

It's still only partially relevant for the topic - there are roughly 500 Togashi, most of them are men, and your chances of finding a cute monk waifu rather than a cute samurai waifu are slim to none.
>>
>>52869633
In sword and fan they lay out standard army sizes (an army is 100k men, some clans have plural) which matches what we see there. The Lion maintain 4 and can raise a fifth, the Scorpion and Crane have one standing army each plus some extra stuff, the Phoenix have one full one at the best of times, etc. Where on earth did that anon get the idea it was total clan size? The Crane one is the obvious tipoff. They're stated to be the largest clan of all besides possibly the Lion in raw numbers of samurai but have so many non army samurai (bushi in other posts, artists, courtiers) that their one army plus the Daidoji half army is all they field
>>
>>52871986

Those army sizes include ashigaru who are something like ~60+% of every army.
>>
>>52855601
15 dollars forward the 60 card packs. Has a playset of each card. At least that's how it is in Netrunner and GOT
>>
File: crane stronk.jpg (343KB, 1280x943px) Image search: [Google]
crane stronk.jpg
343KB, 1280x943px
>>52872103
Those could be 'just' the samurai contingent of the army. Anyway here's the Emerald Empire quote that throws the list the anon put above into the military only category:

>The Crane have a greater number of samurai than many of their friends and rivals, falling behind only the Lion and Crab in sheer numbers. However, due to the clan’s emphasis on politics and the arts, there are generally fewer soldiers in the clan than in other clans with comparable populations. The Crane typically maintain two armies, one comprised primarily of Doji and Kakita samurai, the second made up predominantly of Daidoji troops. During especially peaceful times, they may condense the two into a single army. Regardless, the Crane have a very large number of bushi who are not affiliated with the military and are not called upon for martial service except in times of open warfare

So the sheer population size order goes Lion/Crab> Crane >Probably Unicorn, but going by the list above you'd never notice that given how the Dragon and Unicorn are ranked above the Crane.
>>
File: 1st ed population.jpg (65KB, 225x452px) Image search: [Google]
1st ed population.jpg
65KB, 225x452px
1st edition had rokugan's samurai population at 2 million (pic related, from Way of the Dragon) with every samurai being in the army. Now this could just be 1st edition weirdness or they could be confusing things with the whole bushi=samurai thing from the ccg. Also rokugan was a lot smaller at this time, about 300 miles north to south iirc.

3e Emerald Empire has the standard legion at 48 legions of 750 men for a total of 36000. Between this book and Masters of War (and its web supplement) it notes that the clans have the following armies:

Crab: 4 full and a 5th near full
Crane: 2
Dragon:1
Lion: 4
Phoenix: 1
Scorpion: 1
Unicorn: 3 although all are different sizes

3e EE also notes:
>At one point prior to the Clan War, the Lion claimed to have an army of nearly 500,000 soldiers. Many believe this to be hyperbole, but the truth is that it was very nearly true.
>>
WAIT STOP THE PRESSES. ARE YOU TELLING ME...

HOL UP

YOU SAYIN...

WAIT HOL UP.... LEMME THINK....

YOU SAYIN THAT AEG HAS INCONSISTENT LORE?

NAH MAYN YOU CRAZY
>>
File: kakita shinichi.jpg (151KB, 1800x1516px) Image search: [Google]
kakita shinichi.jpg
151KB, 1800x1516px
>>52873451
>NAH MAYN YOU CRAZY
YOU INSULT MY SINCERITY? MEET ME ON THE FIELD OF HONOR, PIGDOG
>>
>>52873556
Where's your [[soul]], Crane-san?
>>
>>52873583
Being polished by some junior samurai while we do our business.After all, do you take me for some kind of Dragon who needs both swords to duel properly?
>>
>>52873451
They're not even consistent within the same edition, the 3e rulebook has a legion size at 5000, but interestingly it does have population demographics.

Crab: 4,610,000 (258,000 samurai)
Crane: 3,820,000 (213,000)
Dragon: 1,830,000 (101,000)
Lion: 5,280,000 (292,000)
Mantis: 1,110,000 (66,000)
Phoenix: 1,590,000 (88,000)
Scorpion: 1,810,000 (102,000)
Unicorn: 3,650,000 (203,000)
Unaligned: 2,500,000 (143,000)
>>
>>52873656
>Dragon: 1,830,000 (101,000)
>Dragon somehow field a larger army than they have samurai

I guess that means the 1e Way of the Lion does include Ashigaru or the Dragon got fucking annihilated in the Clan War. Probably due to their having so many people and no lands to grow food for them.
>>
File: bonsai.jpg (470KB, 1000x675px) Image search: [Google]
bonsai.jpg
470KB, 1000x675px
So since the core set plus expansions will keep most people with fairly up to date decks for every faction, minus those who get favoritism from earlier deluxe sets, how much of the old L5R single clan favoritism do you think we'll see again? It seems like story is still going to be tournament effected, but will the people who jump in here from Netrunner or whatever have incentive to pick a clan and run with them for the long term or just play whatever is strongest in the meta at any given time?

The community basically self organizing into the clans was one of the neatest parts of the old L5R community to me, I hope that whatever FFG is doing with the story stuff will help keep it existing.
>>
>>52874173
>how much of the old L5R single clan favoritism do you think we'll see again?

I doubt very much. People will likely have a favorite, but I doubt that the wave of new players are going to get turbo autistic about things like the oldguard did.
>>
>>52874222
I hope there's a bit more community than you expect, but not to grognard autism. It was such a unique thing compared to various card games out there, it would be a shame to see it die totally.
>>
>>52874173
>minus those who get favoritism from earlier deluxe sets

FFG might not even do deluxe sets like they did them for Netrunner/AGoT.
>>
What's the probability of the Mantis returning to prominence of the minor clans getting any attention at all?
>>
>>52874902
Hopefully they bring them back as the old Yoritomo's Alliance and keep them that way. When the Mantis went Great Clan and pokeclanned all the good minor clans and then went full pirate was dumb.
>>
File: Aramasu's_Legacy.jpg (138KB, 1024x606px) Image search: [Google]
Aramasu's_Legacy.jpg
138KB, 1024x606px
>>52875012
But seeing them build increasingly absurd boats was fun.
>>
>>52874902
>>52875012

I could see them bringing back almost all of the minor clans back in a deluxe expansion as a Minor Clan Alliance faction with a much lesser focus on Yoritomo/the Mantis. There could even be Minor Clan "sensei" that are similar to AGoT's banners that allow the various Great Clans to splash in minor clan cards.
>>
So it looks like I'll be trying out a 4e game. What should I expect? What's been made accidentally/purposefully op? What's nerfed to a waste of time?
>>
>>52875624
Nothing is overpoweringly OP, but the 5 best bushi schools are (in no particular order) Akodo, Matsu, Toku, Hida, and Daidoji.
>>
>>52875624
Accidentally OP - Togashi family Kikage Zumi with the Ki-Rin Tattoo. You start with a 4 Reflexes and can use reflexes to grapple. Grab and squeeze your way to victory. With the Ki-Rin Tat' you get a free re-roll every round.
>>
File: kakita kae.jpg (183KB, 950x694px) Image search: [Google]
kakita kae.jpg
183KB, 950x694px
>>52875624
4e is legit, it is the best of the game. It still has its issues, notably at the higher end of play combat turns into rocket tag, but it is generally pretty fun.

If you want to run an MC character, the Sparrow school is so weak you can build a better ronin with ease. Other than that, their bushi and courtier stuff is fine. Dragonfly shugenja are shit too, also. Most of the GC stuff is fine, a few schools are a bit more average than great but generally if you have decent skills and use your techniques smart you'll be fine.

What are you interested in clan wise? Courtier/bushi/shugenja/artisan (Artisan is kind of hard mode though)?
>>
>>52875727
Shugenja or Courtier, role-wise, though I've never done a l5r caster.

I played a Kitsuki courtier (of justice!!) in a game and had a lot of fun, and I'm eyeing the Tamori potion-making, but idk if I want to dedicate myself to Dragon yet again.
>>
>>52875930
Tamori is pretty rad as a school, but if you're thinking shugenja there's a lot of cool flavor out there. If you don't want to go Dragon again but are looking for something kind of militaristic, maybe check out the Iuchi or Kuni?
>>
I'm new to L5R, and I have one question.

Which clan has the most female presence? I don't know much of the clans, and in most games the one with most female presence tend to match my playstile for some reason.

I am interested right now on Scorpion and Unicorn, although Unicorn looks less appealing (I just like it because they have calvary),
>>
>>52876019
I mean, the birthrate tends to be 50:50. Unicorn and Lion both have matriarchal families, but all families of all clans have female characters who have been important in it and often been leaders.

What do you want? Like you planning to run a grill in an RPG, or want to make a weird themed deck full of qts or what?
>>
>>52855575
>dat naginata
>dat hair
>dat look
>muh dick
>>
>>52876019
The Utaku Battle Maidens are the ELITE of the Unicorn and are all female. One the Unicorn's main decktypes was a Battlemaiden one and it could go 100% female.

Other female heavy clans include the Lion, the Matsu family is traditionally matriarchal, and the Centipede minor clan before being absorbed by the Mantis. The Scorpion and Crane as the major political powerhouses have an above average female presence as they both use sex as a weapon. The Crane more for political marriages and the Scorpion for wrecking political marriages by being seductresses.
>>
>>52876019
The Matsu are a matriarchal family of the Lion Clan, who are most renowned for being furious warriors more reliant of raw strength than skill or honor. They're generally seen almost feral women with no social graces and one of the most inappropriate choices for a courtier.
The Otaku/Utaku are a matriarchal family of the Unicorn Clan, who are possibly the best cavalry in all of Rokugan. Only their women are allowed to ride into battle, while their men are renowned horse breeders. They are known for being very softly spoken, of very few words. They're also known for some of the most beautiful poetry in all of Rokugan.

Outside of these, gender doesn't really matter among the families.
>>
>>52876111
Not planning on playing the RPG, just the LCG, neither am I going for a "qt" deck. I like running themed decks, and I like strong female characters, and running them on decks, like having Cersei, Arya or Brienne on my AGoTs decks.

>>52876165
>The Utaku Battle Maidens are the ELITE of the Unicorn and are all female.
That's what I was talking about. That looks pretty cool. Gonna look it up, thanks.

>The Scorpion and Crane as the major political powerhouses have an above average female presence as they both use sex as a weapon. The Crane more for political marriages and the Scorpion for wrecking political marriages by being seductresses.

Also cool. I guessed Scorpions would have something like that.
>>
>>52876165
>>52876298
Keep in mind the Scorpion also do political marriages and make for exceptionally loyal and devoted spouses, provided that those that they are married to never seek to act against Rokugan or the Scorpion Clan.
>>
>>52876298
What was neat about the old CCG Battle Maiden decks is they were hybrid Military/Honor. You would use the superior mobility that Cavalry provided to destroy an early province or two and then sit on your army and collect honor. You had an excellent chance at beating Honor or Military decks at that point as you would have a superior economy.

If that is how they are going to work in the LCG, no one knows yet. Maidens was one of my more successful Unicorn decks, I'd put it third overall, Shiro Ide Superfriends in Gold and my oddball Shiro Shinjo Dueling Deck in Diamond were more fun to play.
>>
>>52873410
It's first ed wierdness
Remember, they took a shit handdrawn map from the back of PALM SIZED ccg rulolebooks, blew it up and then some autismo looked at the sacle and realized that there was no fucking way that Rokugan COULD hold as many people as it was reported to

So the dev team (most likely listening to Wick) decided that instead of fixing either the population or the scale, declared that since the Emperor approved the map and that the Emperor cannot be wrong, then the MAP cannot be wrong. So everyone in Rokugan KNOWS the offical map is wrong and they pretend it's not and pack extra supplies for when they're going places.

Which is fine, in character. But they just kept letting fuckups and contradictions slide, confusing the fuck out of the PLAYERS because of how things were in character, and only wrote a sidebar going 'we wuz just in char guise don't take it so seriously!' after getting bitched out a LOT. For, reasons.

Moral of the story:Way of [Clan] books give good fluff for getting inside your clan's heads. Don't take any numbers at face value. Ever.
>>
>>52873656
>>52873410
There's also timeline lore to consider.
1st ed was set pre-scorpion clan coup
2ed was Clan war
3rd ed the four winds
Populations, army size and all that would shift around a lot during these turbulent times
>>
Good night unicorn clan uwu
>>
>>52879437
*hops onto your saddle and cuddles* *notices your bulge* OwO what's this?
>>
>>52879500
>>52879437
One thing that wasn't mentioned about the Utaku - as you can see here, they tend to attract the worst sort of waifufags and memelords.
>>
>>52879519
>Implying I'm not a gay
It's waifufags AND gays anon at least get it right ok?
>>
>>52863344
Ah, Kakita Wishbone-san... You are not him! Imposter!
>>
Since FFG doesn't sell branded associated swag of their merch, where might one go about digging up a shirt branded with a clan mon on it? Or is there no such thing to be found.
>>
>>52869700

Dubs of truth.
>>
>>52880177
AEG sold clan mon shirts and hats, dunno if you can still find them now.
>>
>>52853537
How do I become invincible under the sun?
>>
>>52880455
Two hands.
>>
File: aIPz2Bh.gif (87KB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
aIPz2Bh.gif
87KB, 800x336px
>>
Hopefully, with all this new hype, I can find decent players for the RPG.
>>
File: can you even kill me fampai.jpg (137KB, 800x1214px) Image search: [Google]
can you even kill me fampai.jpg
137KB, 800x1214px
>>52881568
It all depends on where you look and how well you can spot crazy or lazy beforehand.

Speaking of Vagabond also, best way to monk or best way to monk?
>>
>>52871986
>Where on earth did that anon get the idea it was total clan size?
The quoted section where it says "No really, no matter what your actual job, you have a military rank and are considered part of the clan's armies."
>>
File: 1381313297231.jpg (908KB, 1600x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1381313297231.jpg
908KB, 1600x1179px
>>
File: 1381857627599.jpg (69KB, 900x695px) Image search: [Google]
1381857627599.jpg
69KB, 900x695px
>>
I can swim.
>>
OHAYOU UNICORN CLAN!!!
>>
So is this game actually going to be any good?

I liked Netrunner but it was hard to find people to play and it isn't the same on Jinteki
>>
>>52887713
>So is this game actually going to be any good?

The short answer: no one knows.
The long answer: it looks better than the old game in concept. the mechanics are tighter, bloat is removed, the themes play a stronger role in what we've been shown so far... but none of that stuff means that it'll be balanced/good on launch or ever. so no one knows.
>>
>>52887713
It certainly seems promising and the devs quite clearly know what was wrong with the old CCG. For the most part, FFG's games have been good too.

But it could still go catastrophically wrong in any number of ways!
>>
>>52887713
Looks very promising. You might find some old players who don't like the changes but they're viewing the original game through rose tinted glasses which was an unbalanced mess.

You'll probably also find that they were a Mantis or Spider player and are sad their trash clans aren't being given special treatment anymore
>>
>>52859979

Aftermath of first rank PCs' skirmish.
>>
So how often are we going to actually get news updates? I know they mentioned the return of fiction this summer which is nice, but until then are they going to at least do some news posts to whet tastes or something?
>>
>>52891329
in netrunner every one of the monthly expansions comes with a lore insert that's a decent read.
>>
>>52891401
I was just wondering if after the announcement we'd be in a dead zone as far as posts about the game mechanics or story go until summer.
>>
>>52891665
They said there would be press releases leading up to Gencon. I wouldn't expect anything until at least the beginning of the month though.
>>
>>52891665
So we have little over 16 weeks till gencon release. Assuming we can use Agot as an example, we can expect one release email every 2 weeks maybe little less.
>>
I'm guessing we'll get an article for each clan, plus 3 or more fore regular mechanics/strategy and whatever format they use for the Gencon event.
>>
I'm assuming the "Glory" value of characters represents honor you gain when they successfully break a province? How likely am I to be wrong on that?
>>
>>52893774
IIRC they mentioned that honored characters add their glory to both of their military and political skills (dishonored subtract, meaning a 3/3 with 1 glory is either a 4/4 or a 2/2), and when a character leaves play you gain their glory as honor (or lose it if they're dishonored)
>>
>>52893891
Also it appears there are three game states for personalities in regard to Honor. The default is a "neutral" state, they don't add or subtract their Glory from their stats. Honored where they add their Glory to their stats. And lastly Dishonored where they subtract their Glory from their stats.
>>
>>
Goodnight unicorn clan...
>>
>>52898673

The sun rises and sets with the Unicorn Clan?
>>
File: shinjo wei.jpg (125KB, 655x482px) Image search: [Google]
shinjo wei.jpg
125KB, 655x482px
>>52898673
Goodnight, anon-san.
>>
Can't remember if it was here or the Ishigaki storytime thread where people were asking for help naming characters, but here, hope this helps:
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html
>>
>>52893774
I thought I read or heard in the interview that it may have an honour payout when they leave play.
>>
>>52899147

Thank you, anon-san.
>>
packs are super important to buy to maintain a competitive deck, especially for the first half-dozen or so. past that point if you've already decided which clans you want to play you can absolutely be selective about which packs to purchase.

so far FFG has been good with no power creep in expansion packs, save netrunner with their mindbogglingly weird design choices possibly caused by multiple designers coming in and out. conquest and agot had overwhelmingly strong cards coming out of the core set and first few packs, making later packs not a must-buy.
>>
Good morning, Lion Clan!
>>
>>52903527
Fuck off Australia.
>>
>>52903527

Good morning!

All all the characters I have ever made, I have not made one Lion yet. I believe I will do that in the upcoming campaign.
>>
File: Matsu Gohei.jpg (217KB, 426x600px) Image search: [Google]
Matsu Gohei.jpg
217KB, 426x600px
>>52903826
Do a Beastmaster and use a fork like Matsu Gohei. You won't be penalized as badly as your War Cats will be doing the attacking.
>>
>>52882625
The only clan that actually says that is the Crab, who give every samurai a rank and position for easy conscription. In fact, I think it's actually stated to be unusual.
>>
GOOOD MOORNING UNICOORRRN CLAAN
>Rides horse
>Breaks your province
>Awaits any announcement from ffg about anything at all
>Play breakthrough and breaks your province
>>
File: Kitsu_Kagako.jpg (98KB, 1088x755px) Image search: [Google]
Kitsu_Kagako.jpg
98KB, 1088x755px
>>52903826

If you don't play a stuck-up Kitsu shugenja smartass who goes "muh ancestors" each time she is proven wrong then you will do it wrong.
>>
>>52904910
Mate. It's clearly sidebarred in WotD, and is a common Rokugani thing.

In fact, it's the Crab who do the exact opposite - anyone with a military rank can actually perform in those duties and does not rely on their immediate subordinate samurai for everything, because the Crab don't give a shit about ineffectual title foppery.
>>
>>52903585
Good night! Scoooooooooooooooorpion claaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!
>>
>>52904446
>>52907310

Male Beastmaster or female Kitsu shugenja. Got it.
>>
>>52908183
Matsu, certainly.

Different School: Obsidian Magistrate
>>
>>52908183

Or Akodo Spock, The Only Sane Man In Rokugan. But that's a very difficult character to play.
>>
New preview, senpai.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
>>
File: l5c01_i-can-swim.png (258KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
l5c01_i-can-swim.png
258KB, 300x418px
>>52910460
Damn it beat me to it.
>>
>>52910460
Oh my
>>
link to /tg/ L5R LCG discord server
https://discord.gg/qWt2YVp
>>
>>52910606
Scorpion dishonor trickery is delightful but probably also designed to get you skating so close to a dishonor loss that a smart or lucky opponent can force you out. There is probably a balance to be struck
>>
how does one l5r rpg /tg/?

(explain the basics to me if you would be so kind, the wickisms kinda put me off this)
>>
>>52912421
That's such a vague question. The first step is to read the book and then ask specific questions instead.
>>
>>52912421
Basic roll mechanism is you roll a number of d10s equal to your skill level + relevant attribute, and then keep the values of a number of dice equal to your relevant attribute. The sum is your score. It's pretty simple to play, but surprisingly hard to pin down mathematically.
>>
>>52912489
>but surprisingly hard to pin down mathematically

Main reason for that is how variable a roll is due to explosions.
>>
File: Kukanchi.jpg (156KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kukanchi.jpg
156KB, 428x600px
>>52912421
In th game I am running it is...

>Be magistrates
>Do magistrate things
>Stop a group of bloodspeakers from summoning a big ass oni
>Be declared big damn heroes and have a festival declared in your honor
>Oh shit you dumb fucking Isawa, why did you try out Maho.

Right now I am waiting for the Kuni in the group to shank the Isawa in his sleep.

I almost feel bad for the Isawa, he didn't realize that the spirit I had talking to him about Pure Blood Magic and saying the thing that Isawa did to avoid taint with it was using Void magic was a Kukanchi. I thought it was pretty fucking obvious since he took the Haunted disadvantage and I had it pester him about once session. He totally believed it was a legendary Void kami and he was the special chosen one to be able to interact with it.
>>
File: ss (2017-02-24 at 12.50.27).png (20KB, 273x426px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-02-24 at 12.50.27).png
20KB, 273x426px
>>52912567
Yeah, like when you explode katana damage on 9s
>>
File: Isawa_Mashiro.png (393KB, 400x636px) Image search: [Google]
Isawa_Mashiro.png
393KB, 400x636px
>>52910460
Okay so it's seems they are a little nervous about low cost characters never leaving as well.

Turning over new cards is a nice sort of almost card advantage but not quite.
>>
>>52912769
This guy costs 4 to keep around for 2 turns, AND you need to telegraph him to use his effect, AND he's not big enough to break a typical province alone.

God damn.
>>
>>52912783
I don't think he needs to be part of the conflict it can just be any Fire conflict, still yeah quite clunky. The 2 glory value might be very good though and winning the Fire conflict he encourages let's you honour him and get him up to 5/4.
>>
>>52853537
Is Fantasy Flight gonna be coming out with a new RPG or are they just making stuff for the LCG?
>>
>>52912783
>This guy costs 4 to keep around for 2 turns
3 if you discard another copy of him.

>you need to telegraph him to use his effect
Phoenix seem to have some Ring swapping stuff they can do.
>>
>>52912913
New edition of the RPG is likely sometime in the future. FFG bought the whole IP including the R&K system.
>>
>>52912913
They haven't announced it yet, but if the LCG does well they'll back it with an RPG and maybe even board games. I'd kill for a L5R skin for Twilight Imperium.

Just pray to whatever fortunes you follow that FFG doesn't ruin the RPG with snowflake dice. I can totally see them doing some retarded scheme where you need dice for each ring, honor, glory, and taint.
>>
>>52903826
Make an Akodo Bushi and try for a jack-of-all-trades samurai. One hand for the sword and one hand for the pen.
>>
>>52912935
>>52912965
If they stick to the R&K system then I'll be happier. I've played the Star Wars games but I'm still not a huge fan of the system.
>>
>>52911715
Most likely cards reducing any of your own honor loss with cards in play

Can't quite read the card text, but it looks like Assassination is a neutral card that costs honor to play
I'm guessing Scorpions most likely have a holding or character that would reduce that honor cost
>>
>>52912631
this app

or whatever it is

what is it?

i do not recognize it

I must study it

Is it maho?

Then as a phoenix, i must definitely study it and use it
>>
>>52913676
It's roll20
>>
>>52859604
>TFW you have to deal with a percentage of Unicorn players being mlp fags

Please bring no dishonor to my clan
>>
>>52856282
>>
File: DragonFrog.png (1MB, 447x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DragonFrog.png
1MB, 447x1200px
>>52912610
>Be badass sohei in a party of badass sohei
>Get the task to eradicate the Order of the Spider
>Things are shaping up well
>Meet Michio
>He kicks my ass, then starts creeping on my warrior nun waifu until other PC shows up to save the situation

Until now, I held back on the Order of the Spider because I had serious doubts about the whole idea of destroying them. But this Michio guy made it personal. He said lewd things to my waifu, and I'm going to shove his ripped-off head up into his ass.
>mfw the GM made it clear that I have to kill everyone in the OotS to get my revenge on Michio
>>
>>52914524
*Raises hoof* what do yer mean? X3
>>
>>52915421
Unicorn horsebreeding has gone too far this time.
>>
>>52912489
>It's pretty simple to play, but surprisingly hard to pin down mathematically.
Expect 1k0 (each skill rank) average to 2, and 1k1 (each attribute rank) to average to 6.6, and you have a rough idea of how you're going to roll.

Alternatively;

http://lynks.se/probability/
>>
>>52917512
>>
File: L5R - Probability Chart.pdf (41KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
L5R - Probability Chart.pdf
41KB, 1x1px
>>
Good night horsey clan
>>
>>52918326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSra5p8MDw
>>
Kaze no Shiro has a tab setup for the FFG stories, which means however the story progresses (probably in monthly shorts in the expansion stuff) you won't have to buy everything to keep up. I was honestly afraid they might close shop after the AEG sale, since I know some people just used that as the sign it was time to walk away.
>>
What is the status of the lore?
>>
>>52919358
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2017/04/22/the-story-so-far/
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2017/04/24/the-clans/

So basically a hard reset to the pre-Clan War and a few changes. Doji Hoturi is now a girl (some people theorized Doji Hotaru was a relation of his but she has been confirmed to just be his iteration here). The Unicorn Champion too now has tits which interestingly makes the clan champions match their founding Kami pretty well.

Bayushi Shoju is still rad as hell, Togashi Yokuni is still almost certainly Togashi, the Phoenix are poking at maho even before things go to hell. Bad times will ensure I'm sure.
>>
>>52919419
>So basically a hard reset to the pre-Clan War and a few changes

Hard reset to before even that. It is pre-Coup.

Nothing is sacrosanct. We don't know what history has been kept and we do not know if we are even headed to a Second Day of Thunder.
>>
File: yogo kono.jpg (119KB, 900x664px) Image search: [Google]
yogo kono.jpg
119KB, 900x664px
>>52919569
I think we'll get the Day of Thunder but nothing says that the story won't go in a very different way to get there based on the tournaments this time.

And after that it is fair game to go in any direction. I think we might definitely see old faces again, the Nothing or Yodotai or something, but I think we might be going full on Evangelion Rebuild here where it starts similarly and then increasingly goes its own way. Like a train leaving the same station but taking increasingly different rail splits.

What are your private hopes for the future of Rokugan, anon?
>>
>>52919655
For the Mantisfags to be left hanging for years all while saying "Any month now!".
>>
>>52919655
No Spider. Ever.
>>
File: daigotsu setsuko.jpg (96KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
daigotsu setsuko.jpg
96KB, 900x600px
>>52919706
That's probably unlikely even if they never make it beyond MC again. I'm sure we'll see them once more

>>52919815
This however seems more likely. The Spider are setting toxin as they were. I've used them in RPGs by basically radically changing them after the Destroyer War, which makes them effectively something totally different but with the same nice spooky aesthetics but they should never ever have been or be again part of the real story.
>>
>>52919931
The Spider as they previously existed, were the writers pushing the Lost into the Empire, but still trying to accommodate them being the evil tainted faction over the long term. The Spider fan base didn't like what they were losing out on, the rest of the L5R fan base didn't like the vice-like grip they had on the idiot ball, and no one was happy. The only way I'd like to see the Spider return as the Spider, is if the samurai involved are genuine, have burnt all bridges to their (still evil) former kin, and form a minor clan. Even then it's fucking iffy AF.

In the rpg, the only way I like to see the Spider show up is as lost ronin antagonists, or possibly samurai whose sensei have (unknown to everyone around them) fallen to dishonour and the taint.
>>
>>52919419

Did Toturi reconcile with his bro and his bro's fiancee.
>>
>>52922330
Looks like he hasn't even gone Ronin yet and his bro is champ right now. Heck they might not even be brothers.
>>
>>52922573
Toturi didn't go ronin until after the Coup when the Hantei shit on the entire Akodo line sans Kage.
>>
>>52922666
The basic idea that needs to be gotten across is that the setting has been change enough that we do not know what will happen.
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>>52857658
>dat anatomy
>>
>>52856326
To be fair, the guy saying it's a $120 is implying you need 3 sets to play. You can play just fine with one, two if you want some extra carda for variety. So the "it's $120 to start" thing is a pretty huge misnomer.

I'm pretty stoked, will probably grab 2 starters and then start grabbing expansions for the sake of expanding my decks. I'll mostly be focusing on Dragon, Unicorn and Pheonix clans myself.
>>
>>52924698
On top of all that you get every single card for that 120, you can play every single competetive level deck for that
>>
>>52924698
>two if you want some extra carda for variety
Official word is that you need this to be competitive.
>>
>>52926978
Not everyone who's interested in playing gives a shit about competitive.

Even then, $120 for a full play-set of every card is WAY better than $120 for a single deck.
>>
>>52922330

Not only that, but it looks like Tsuko is no longer a forever virgin. And it is interesting, because that was, like, half her character.
>>
>>
>>52927492
as long as I don't need 3 of each pack/expansion Im fine with that initial cost.
>>
>>52929878
You'll only need 3 of the core box. After that, each of the expansions (both small and deluxe) always come with a full play set of cards.
>>
>>52930189
how competitively viable would it be to grab 2 core sets, then whichever deluxe and expansion sets for those cards viable for your clan/deck strategy
>>
>>52930655
Likely pretty competitive.
>>
>>52930655
Probably fine after a fair few expansions are out.
>>
>>52930655
In netrunner, running 2 ofs of some of the core cards was fine... but ultimately it depends on what cards they print. For all we know, Crane might have absolutely crucial cards being printed at 1 of, and Crab have all their staples at 2 of.
>>
>>52926978
Right, but I wasn't going to say that because not everyone cares about playing competitive.

The point I was trying to make is that the guy claiming it has a $120 entry fee because this notion of "YOU MUST HAVE FULL PLAYSETS OF EVERYTHING!" was misinforming the other anon.
>>
Making a shugenja in 4e, never played 4e or a l5r caster before. What's the mindset I should have when character building? Any big misses or traps?
>>
>>52931471
avoid redundancy in spells
focus on the rings you want
sincerity/courtier for the insight boost, but otherwise skills aren't terribly important to you unless you're minoring in party face
>>
>>52931471
The mindset should be closer to priest than wizard. As far as mechanics go, stats>skills, get your rings up, since those are what you use to cast. Intelligence and Willpower are important even if you aren't using much Fire or Earth magic, since they govern a fair few effects. Spellcraft is an important skill mechanically (Importuning is really helpful sometimes), and Lore: Theology is important from a fluff perspective.
>>
>>52931471
Buffing your meatshield is often better than doing direct damage.
>>
>>52931471
Ask your GM if Chosen by the Oracles affects spellcasting, if he says yes, get it for your primary element, +1k1 to your spellcasting rolls is huge.
>>
>>52931605
>>52931585
>>52931564
>>52931539

All useful, thanks. I've got earth+/air- for my school (Tamori because I like Dragon and I like potions) and a cursory read of the air spell list makes it seem like I've cut out illusion and a lot of staple utility spells. At least the other schools look fun too!
>>
Also how often does tea ceremony come up because I really like the idea of my Tamori settling everyone down to drink some buffed up tea before a battle.
>>
>>52931904
Outside of formal settings, as often as you make it come up. In formal settings, there's probably at least a few a week, but all with different hosts and guests.
>>
>>52931786
For spell selection here are a few of my favorites for starting characters..

Earth Spells
Rank 1
Earth's Stagnation
Jade Strike
Soul of Stone

Rank 2 (which you can take due to affinity)
Be the Mountain
Earth Becomes Sky
Embrace of Kenro-Ji-Jin
Force of Will

Fire Spells

Rank 1
Fires of Purity
Envious Flames (more as an anti-caster spell than for its raw damage)
Fire Kami's Blessing (Great when combined with Sage for MAXIMUM LORE POWA)

Water Spells
Path to Inner Peace (every shugenja that isn't water deficient should have this)
Reversal of Fortunes (very powerful for a low rank spell)
>>
>>52857210
Underrated post
>>
>>52932431
Actually, this brings up a good point. Water spells are where you get metamagic fuckery. Contingencies, shifting spell effects, and all similar things live in the Water.
>>
>>52932431
Noted! I'm going to go for a buffer character build, 'cause I'm super into the drink-your-magic-tea idea now.
>>
best thing about this edition will be no mantis and this other shit bag clans that were money grabs - 7 clans are better then 12 not balanced shit additions - naga nezumi and oni can be unaligned and one off cards and not clans of their own modafukaaaa
>>
>>52933409
>implying that 7 clans will be balanced.
>>
File: earth becomes fuck you.jpg (322KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
earth becomes fuck you.jpg
322KB, 1280x1011px
>>52932431
>Earth Becomes Sky
This is probably the single best attack spell given how easily you can also turn it into flying boulders of pure jade in case of Oni
>>
>>52932552
I had a player going Tamori with weapons in a bottle. Literally, she'd throw a vial and a Fire Katana would pop up, even if it was underpowered.
Since you need to leave your weapons before meeting someone, she always had an answer to pesky ninjas.
>>
File: 1360012684145.png (840KB, 705x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1360012684145.png
840KB, 705x1110px
Goodbye, samurai thread. Page 10 soon. Should we make another L5R general since there's actually a fair bit to discuss lately with the card game and we tend to have plenty of RPG talk anyway?
>>
>>52935086
Yes please senpai
>>
>>52935578

behold >>52935869
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.