[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: Not Canon Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 302
Thread images: 64

File: daigotsu onita.jpg (25KB, 383x267px) Image search: [Google]
daigotsu onita.jpg
25KB, 383x267px
The new L5R owners FFG put out a bunch of info on the new LCG version on their site located here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

There's also a designer interview here which got me more interested in the LCG than their site did, to be honest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_IZqqcxxI [Embed]

This thread is to talk the CCG, new LCG thoughts, RPG stories or mechanical questions and the perennial favorite topic of 'why your favorite clan is shit and mine is best'.

So with the Spider gone the way of the dodo and the Mantis likely to come back just as a plain old Minor Clan again, what are the hopes of people who played them or those other weird factions like the ratlings and Naga for the future of the LCG? I honestly enjoyed Mantis as a GC but am not too sad to see them go in the lore given this is a reset with some canon changes to the best era of things.
>>
File: yoritomo emoto.jpg (381KB, 737x542px) Image search: [Google]
yoritomo emoto.jpg
381KB, 737x542px
Also don't ask for links to the RPG materials, apparently those links are being targeted in these threads and tend to rapidly go down, so just use the power of google. It isn't that hard to find the bulk of 4e.
>>
>>52935869
Oh wow I'm a retard I forgot the article that hit yesterday when I copied the last OP. See also the embed embed chains.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
>>
>>52935869
Crane convert from the last thread, being very new what character should I be on the lookout for and is there a condensed setting primer anywhere?

Also how would people feel if minor clans and evil shit from beyond the wall was just cards you could splash for influence rather than separate factions?
>>
So how would multi-player work in the new LCG? I know Warhammer invasion was way more fun with 3+ players(as I think most card games are).

I know it'd be a while before we saw official multi-player rules(it took how long with Invasion?), but could you guys see if working? Would it not make sense story wise?
>>
File: daidoji lied, heimin died.jpg (11KB, 245x192px) Image search: [Google]
daidoji lied, heimin died.jpg
11KB, 245x192px
>>52935949
>being very new what character should I be on the lookout for

You guys are already getting Doji Hotaru in the core which is good, Hoturi was one of the coolest parts of the OG canon. As long as they don't fuck up r63 Hoturi you're set there. Also look forward to the later expansion pack where you finally get the Daidoji family themes in there plus maybe the family daimyo. They're going to play super different than the bulk of the Clan but hopefully come across as cool as they were before.
>>
>>52935969
I don't know how it could do odd numbers, but even seems like it would be either teams or a free for all but each attack turn you can only 1 vs 1 one other person
>>
File: 1384778522707.jpg (276KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1384778522707.jpg
276KB, 1800x1350px
>>
>>52936026
That's what I was thinking, too. Obviously the biggest worry is one player just getting gang raped. Maybe I just need to stop playing games with assholes.
>>
File: mirumoto swordsman.jpg (346KB, 1280x943px) Image search: [Google]
mirumoto swordsman.jpg
346KB, 1280x943px
>>52936216
>Maybe I just need to stop playing games with assholes.
That helped me a lot with the RPG, no reason it can't with the LCG. Seriously, one really shit player in L5R can ruin the whole game for everyone due to the social nature of samurai
>>
File: asahina beniha.jpg (57KB, 450x331px) Image search: [Google]
asahina beniha.jpg
57KB, 450x331px
>>
>>52935949

Emerald Empire is probably the closest to a primer. L5R fluff tends to fluctuate between being autistically thorough and so shallow as to be useless with nothing in the middle.

I'm honestly expecting Shadowlands and minor clans to work exactly like that. Shadowlands probably being very low influence for their power, but having other drawbacks.
>>
>>
File: 1408569450620.jpg (105KB, 900x451px) Image search: [Google]
1408569450620.jpg
105KB, 900x451px
>>
File: 1409885198503.jpg (1MB, 1134x1530px) Image search: [Google]
1409885198503.jpg
1MB, 1134x1530px
>>
>>52935869
>Extraneous Factions

There's a reason the game purged all the weird factions. They'd all need support which means bigger releases and that much more difficulty in achieving even a semblance of balance. Ratlings should have never been more than the one-off pseudo-faction they were in Gold. The Naga, Ninja, Monks, Spirits, and Toturi's Army going was good for the game. They should only make returns as unaligned cards.
>>
File: 1390805106409.png (650KB, 732x609px) Image search: [Google]
1390805106409.png
650KB, 732x609px
>>
>>52939673
I'd be cool with a minor clan alliance of some sort later down the line because I do have a love for Mantis(I'm a sucker for the navy and merchant faction), but I don't want them as a major clan again.

Stuff like Nezumi and Naga should be included, as you said, as neutral cards any clan can use(if that fits the fluff).
>>
link to /tg/ discord:
https://discord.gg/qWt2YVp
>>
>>52941049
Nezumi and Naga are dumb and if I were FFG I would retcon them from existence.
>>
>>52941748
I think they work. I know Naga are part of Japanese mythology, and I think Nezumi are as well.

I don't think they should be super prominent, but they should have a place.
>>
>>52941830
Nah. They're DnD-style "lets just keep throwing in monster races" bullshit.
>>
>>52941843
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>52941830
>I know Naga are part of Japanese mythology, and I think Nezumi are as well.

Nezumi are made up. Loosely based on Rat Yokai.
Naga are from Hindu myth not Japanese.
>>
>>52942011
Ah, my mistake. Thanks for correcting me!
>>
>>52941830

Naga are from pre-Hindu bush religions in Southern India (Well, India in general).

They are godly celestial serpents, occasionally with lots of heads, often not from earth.

They are not glorified yuan-ti.
>>
>>52942116
I stand corrected, then.

I really need to do more reading up on my Asian mythologies.
>>
So what are the chances FFG puts out a new edition of the L5R RPG?
>>
>>52942883
They're supposedly working on 5e, which is going to spool the fluff back to 1e. I just hope it doesn't use their stupid dice.
>>
>>52942905
I hope 5e keeps being setting agnostic mechanically, at least if someone wants to use one of the Imperial History eras or some of the old AEG canon.
>>
>>52942905
>They're supposedly working on 5e,
Awesome.
>which is going to spool the fluff back to 1e.
Acceptable.
>I just hope it doesn't use their stupid dice.
Oh god, I hope not.
>>
>>52942905
>>52943064
>Expecting FFG to not use propritary dice
Really?
>>
>>52943475
I know a lot of people who outright won' buy the game if they're going to do wacky bullshit dice. 4e is just fine and there's no real reason to move on.
>>
File: 1437802302422.jpg (4MB, 2972x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1437802302422.jpg
4MB, 2972x4000px
>>
>>52943475

I'm ok with the special dice, just not with the shit-ass "it is a narrative game except it isn't" SW system.
>>
>>52940773
>Call him a faggot
>Fuck off, Bayushi-san
>>
so anyone has atlas of rokugant that is advertised on FFG page ?
>>
>>52935869
>So with the Spider gone the way of the dodo and the Mantis likely to come back just as a plain old Minor Clan again

What?! Amazing news. I love FFG so much.
>>
>>52945751
http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/DfUSaxHE/file.html

The real question is if anybody has a full copy of the Tomb of Iuchiban ( I can only find the GM Guide, Tomb Guide, and Illustrated Guide) or Emerald Empire for 3e (not the version for 4e).
>>
>>52945775
Good lord, the rolled it all the way back to pre-Coup, brilliant.

It's just like when they got Warhammer Fantasy, rewind it all back before things went to shit. Awesome! Bring on the crazy dice RPG!
>>
>>52945775
I'm glad they remove the Spider in this way, they were always a clan for edgelords contrarians and the clan should never have been made playable, should have been kept as antagonists at most.
>>
>>52945837
They kind of ruined the mysterious and spookiness of Shadowlands some. The more alien it is the better.
>>
>>52945937
Agreed on that account as well. So many times less is more.
>>
>>52937122
>Emerald Empire is probably the closest to a primer.
Nah, the winter court stuff is the closest thing to a primer. Unfortunately, it looks like that's been taken down.

http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2011/07/15/the-samurais-primer-2/
>>
>>52943064
>I just hope it doesn't use their stupid dice.
>Oh god, I hope not.
Who gives a shit? It's not like you couldn't use normal dice in place of their special dice. The books make that abundantly clear for anyone that isn't a fuckin' moron.
>>
>>52946240
>It's not like you couldn't use normal dice in place of their special dice.
Oh gee, it's not like that's unwieldy as fuck or anything.
>>
>>52943064
>implying the FFG star wars games dice doesn't create the most fun and interesting way of mixing roleplaying and rolling dice in a long time
>>
>>52946279
They don't. They and you are fake and gay. They're constantly forcing dumb things to happen, especially when someone gets an advantage-riddled roll when the fight is nearly won, the moving pieces that the GM had prepared are all activated, and it wouldn't make sense to give bonuses from a story point of view.
>>
>>52946250
>Oh gee, it's not like that's unwieldy as fuck or anything.
Only as unwieldy as using a new system. Alternatively, dice apps and websites. There's really no excuse, other than the simple and stubborn, "I don't wanna."
>>
>>52946326
>Only as unwieldy as using a new system.
>just look up this table for every single die in every single roll, it's ez

>There's really no excuse, other than the simple and stubborn, "I don't wanna."
How about 'not promoting proliferation of bizarre dice that can't be transferred between systems'?
>>
>>52943064
FFG star wars is a really fun system but from what little I know of L5R I don't think it's a good fit, besides I don't think FFG's ever used the same system across franchises.
>>
>>52946324
Moving away from the binary "You succeed/lose" with arbitrary possible happenings was the best thing that me and my group has ever done and we have had more fun playing games with this system than ever before.

But if you can't handle a lot of action happening at once, that's fine I suppose.
>>
>>52946390
>I don't think FFG's ever used the same system across franchises.
The WFRP3 system is effectively a beta version of the FFG SW system.
>>
>>52946392
Way to read my fucking post, fuckboi. I guess that's the average starwars player for you though.
>>
>>52946399
Oh, I didn't know.

>>52946324
There's alternative outlets for advantage during combat, that really shouldn't be a issue if you've got the table to hand. I'll admit the FFG Star Wars can create some dice results that sometimes demand quite a lot of on the stop work from the GM but I honestly wouldn't run Star Wars in anything else, there's an essential feeling of adventure, fate and dramatical twists the the system captures better than anything else I've tried.

I think an L5R game would require a bit more structure though.
>>
>>52946570
>There's alternative outlets for advantage during combat, that really shouldn't be a issue if you've got the table to hand. I'll admit the FFG Star Wars can create some dice results that sometimes demand quite a lot of on the stop work from the GM but I honestly wouldn't run Star Wars in anything else, there's an essential feeling of adventure, fate and dramatical twists the the system captures better than anything else I've tried.
>reading comprehension
>just refer to this simple table
>admits that the dice can stop the game because no one can figure out what it means
>dramatical twists

t. Star Wars poster
>>
>>52946570
I think the 2d20 Momentum/[Heat/Doom/Dark Symmetry] system works better, since it's much more controllable.
>>
>>52935869
Can you smoke weed in this game?
>>
>>52946627
Actually I said it can be demanding for the GM, I understand that this can be challenging for some people but I have never had my game stop because of a dice roll. If my reading comprehension is so shit please tell me what I'm missing from you oh so elegantly worded post because if you've somehow offered a counterpoint to the fact that you can just pour the excess combat advantage into the table then I've missed it, silly me.

I'm personally failing to see what requires you to be so aggressive about this.
>>
>>52946392

Dude, the SW system is binary as all fuck. It is just binary on two axis. The relevant result is still success/failure, you just get some compensation or get your shit screwed over. It is no big deal, pretty much forced Raises with a LULRANDUM element.

>>52946700

Not the same anon, but if you say that narrative dice are okay because you can go full crunch with them then your argument is kinda counterproductive all things considered.
>>
>>52935869

>Mantis likely to come back just as a plain old Minor Clan again

...they are already several minor clans. I can't think of too many minor clans with 4 full clan families behind them.
>>
>>52942905

>They're supposedly working on 5e, which is going to spool the fluff back to 1e.

...well, that sucks. I mean, I disagreed with the plotlines a lot of the time but most of the shit I actually like in L5R came about after that.
>>
>>52947008
1) The new lore isn't erasing the old lore. They're different timelines. Different stories. It's just that the old story has ended.

2) There is no guarantee the new stuff will follow even roughly the same path as the old stuff, meaning the weaker plotlines you remember might not ever happen.
>>
>>52947032

Yeah but that also means that the things I did like will not be getting RPG support. And if it does, not for the longest time.

So I'm in a state right now I might end up passing on the game due to simple apathy. The stuff that got me into the game (As I started in 3e) is gone and the time has returned to before it.
>>
>>52946985
>...they are already several minor clans.

Yoritomo's Alliance is well in the future as it now stands (we are before the Battle of Snow and Ice, after all).
>>
>>52947111

Yeah, I wonder if the clans that make it up will get a showing at all.

As I've always been a big fan of the Moshi.
>>
I really hope they don't make Mantis a playable faction. It makes no sense for a naval army to be squaring off against the landlocked Dragon or Lion, for example. It would fuck with the flavor of the game too hard.
>>
>>52947142

The time period doesn't allow the Mantis.

Mind you, that also is pretty good reason they shouldn't include the Dragon. As that would imply the Dragon are actually doing anything which is totally out of character.
>>
>>52947161
FFG is altering the lore. Pray they do not alter it any further.
>>
>>52947057
>Yeah but that also means that the things I did like will not be getting RPG support. And if it does, not for the longest time.

Various plots and events could happen far earlier in this new timeline. Consider than Khan happens before the 5 year mission in Star Trek Into Darkness, but was well into the mission in the original series. Similar things could happen with L5R.
>>
>>52947137

I fully expect Ryosei's Alliance to be a thing.
>>
>>52946985
if they're rolling back the timeline, presumably it'll be back to wasp/fox/etc again.
>>
>>52947111
>Battle of Snow and Ice
is it, though?

considering what they themselves have written on the timline (As in, the tiny blurbs on the main page), it could be anytime before the Scorpion Coup, but it has to be at least 1114 (Battle of Ice and Snow was in 1113) because it's stated Kachiko is married to Shoju

Then again, new timeline, so who knows?
>>
>>52946240
The weird result system for narrative action would remain which I don't really like for L5R.
>>
>>52947032
>. It's just that the old story has ended.
Right after the Spider won. Oops
>>
File: crab waifu.png (693KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
crab waifu.png
693KB, 700x638px
>>
>>52949258
i wanna touch her topknot
>>
>>52949295
That's disgusting, you pervert. I bet you even want to hold hands, don't you? There's a system for dealing with deviants like you.
>>
>>52949295

It is not a topknot, just a discount ponytail because she doesn't have enough hair for a proper one.

That's kinda like the Crab for you: they never have enough A to properly do X, yet they still feel inclined to do a half-assed A with their insufficient X because "muh Crab". Just... what's wrong with these guys? I'm asking!
>>
>>52949506
Tell me your address. We're fighting now.
>>
>>52949506
Look at her ragged hair. She probably had nice hair not too long before the pic. Just imagine - a sneaky oni grabbed her long flowing locks as she stood guard on the wall, and she hacked off her pony tail rather than be pulled over the edge.
>>
File: CAP.gif (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
CAP.gif
2MB, 800x450px
>>52949588
>>
I just hope that FFG remembers that L5R as an RPG isn't about dungeon crawls. It's a narrative game, and that's one of the biggest draws for me. I don't mind special dice as long as the narrative fashion stays the focus.
>>
>>52949885
>L5R as an RPG isn't about dungeon crawls

Eh, it kinda is. Just because it is cultural/social dungeon crawling that more often than not ends with actual dungeon crawling, it doesn't mean that it demands something super speshul. Especially since traditional L5R stories rarely allow random things to happen.
>>
>>52949668
Enlighten us?
>>
>>52950210

Pitch Black has a scene where sneaky Riddick cuts down a chick's hair instead of stealth-killing her.
>>
>>52946966
Thats not binary.
>>
>>52946966
>It is just binary on two axis.
The word you're looking for is "quaternary."
>>
>>52950182
Encounters aren't the same as a dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawls usually imply "go here and kill X number of monsters" and not "diplomacy your way through this."

D&D is dungeon crawls, it's all about killing shit(unless your DM really puts in the effort to make it otherwise). L5R feels like it's more about the story and the characters themselves.
>>
>>52947185
>Pray they do not alter it any further.
Are you kidding? I WANT FFG to completely fucking rape the lore and dump it in a river.

AEG's canon is so fucking bad any change at all would only result in improvement.
>>
File: 141118eetoxyve3ojljb8v.jpg (178KB, 512x600px) Image search: [Google]
141118eetoxyve3ojljb8v.jpg
178KB, 512x600px
>>52935869
>what are the hopes of people who played them or those other weird factions like the ratlings and Naga for the future of the LCG?
I was never too much of an L5R player (the game has never caught up around here), but I loved the concept, and Mantis was the clan I gravitated to. Since I didn't play that often, I never had the opportunity to try playing my second favorite clan (Phoenix), so I'm looking forward to that. Hell, I now have all the clans available to me, and I might like some even more than Mantis.
>>
File: 1437832337519.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1437832337519.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
>>52950391
>AEG's canon is so fucking bad any change at all would only result in improvement.
I don't know, you can pretty easily make things worse but it might skirt on the edge of having to consciously try to do so rather than with best of intentions and no ability to execute it.
>>
So what play styles are people most excited for in the LCG? I like the way that it looks like out of the box Scorpion are going to be a dishonor control faction with honor dial tricks. It gives me a poker vibe really where you have to bet on the other bet to see if your own cards will make it all click like you want. Of course we're only two previews in, this is all rampant speculation.
>>
File: 1408634395036.jpg (117KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
1408634395036.jpg
117KB, 700x467px
>>
>>52953908
I tend to like factions that just wouldn't work in any other game, so Scorpion and maybe Phoenix sound way more fun than Lion, Crab and the like. Phoenix intrigues me more if only because we haven't seen that many of their cards.
>>
>>52953908
They are grave stones.
>>
File: 1409707166338.jpg (219KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
1409707166338.jpg
219KB, 1280x961px
>>52953908
>So what play styles are people most excited for in the LCG?

Back in the day of vintage L5R CCG (four winds), I had a Crane control deck based around dueling.

Thats what I want now. I want hard as steel Daidoji to protect my provinces, beautiful Doji brides to force the opponent into honor decisions, and bishonen Kakita duelists to cut them into ribbons in duels.
>>
>>52953908
I'm excited for that one time I'll play three breakthroughs in a row and win.
>>
>>52954589
It seems like Crane isn't so much a control deck right now as a specialist Military/Court power setup that probably uses Honoring characters to build high powered specific options. That being said I'm also sure we'll see more play options for the clan as the game goes on. I sincerely doubt the Daidoji will get too much theme stuff in the core besides maybe a few named cards.

My hope is that after a while each clan has their core set style and one or two optional builds you can do with them that allow variation in how you play the same clan game to game. I don't really LCG though so I don't know how much variety will be sustainable on the release model we've got
>>
File: Shadow's Claw.jpg (209KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow's Claw.jpg
209KB, 428x600px
>>52954589
Control dueling was fun. I ran one out of Unicorn in Diamond. The dueling reactions during that period were top shelf and the fact that there weren't focus hands made the control actually mean something.

This card here was my jam. Every time I dropped one during a tournament they acted like they never seen it before.
>>
>>52953908
I'm hoping each clan has it's thing, without that thing being their entire personality. Like each clan having a distinct playstyle is great, just as long as they don't all feel one-note.
>>
File: 1493005864289.jpg (156KB, 966x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1493005864289.jpg
156KB, 966x1023px
>>52954667

Come One at a Time was my preferred, since I often fought military decks - specifically Moto Cavalry decks. Once I winnowed down to a single province, I'd pump a personality with force and chi bonuses and make sure I had at least 3 of that terrain in my hand. Use any other cards to remove problems, and then just deconstruct the entire force from smallest to largest - and since the biggest guy always had the ancestral\celestial sword, by the time I got to him, the sword was meaningless.

I caused a ragequit that way once.
>>
>>52950236
>>52950362

The two axis do not interact, so your end result will be still binary: you either fail or you succeed. You also get something else, regardless of whether you failed or succeeded. Hell, if you go with >>52946570 then your Advantages/Threats will have little meaning other than some crunchy bonus or penalty.
>>
File: Moto Chen Exp.jpg (183KB, 427x600px) Image search: [Google]
Moto Chen Exp.jpg
183KB, 427x600px
>>52954793
I preferred Let's All Go a Duelin' starring Moto Chen and Shien Ten Yen Wangers.
>>
File: ghost story.jpg (217KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
ghost story.jpg
217KB, 1024x808px
>>52954793
>I caused a ragequit that way once.

I have never seen someone ragequit. I don't do card games but do play miniature stuff weekly at the FLGS down the road from me, and have done RPGs for years. I wonder if I lucked out with regards to local community autism or if the assholes who can't stand to do less than perfectly are the outlier.
>>
>>52943064
>>52943475
>>52943502

I have yet to play an FFG system where the dice were detrimental to the system. Now that I think of it, I can't think of one where it didn't enhance the experience. I could see how a GM could lean on them as a crutch...but that's just a bad GM anyway.
>>
>>52946399
>Beta for the SW system

Did you play them? They seemed awfully different to me.

Just because they don't use standard dice doesn't make them inherently similar.
>>
File: 21.jpg (83KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
83KB, 768x512px
>>52935869
Are spears/naginatas good in 4e?
>>
File: Contested Holding.jpg (235KB, 427x600px) Image search: [Google]
Contested Holding.jpg
235KB, 427x600px
>>52955457
I've seen it a couple of times. Guys in my group, myself included, made pretty infuriating decks and in multi-player reveled in being kingmaker.

My only ragequit was when I got a guy to ragequit in the finals of a local tournament. It was with my dueling Unicorn deck. The guy I was playing with was kind of a dick all day to people. He accused a couple of people of cheating and demanded to shuffle everyone's decks. In the first round of the best of three finals I pulled all three of my Contested Holdings in my starting hand and got a boxable guy. I went first, bought my man and the fun began. On my opponent's, also a Unicorn, first turn he flips two Silk Works and buys one of them. My turn starts, I play the first Contested Holding. He had no guy to meet my challenge and the Silk Works becomes mine. My opponent flips his third Silk Works and buys his second. Once again, I play a Contested Holding and take it unopposed. He's pretty pissed at this point, I can see the little vein in his forehead. On his turn he buys his last Silk Works and says, "If you have another Contested Holding in your hand I'm leaving." I just shrug, bow my stronghold, lay down my last Contested Holding, and say, "Good game. See ya later."

At this point he turns crimson and demands to see my full deck. The judge allows an accounting of my deck which is 100% legal. He's so worked up at this point he just throws down his cards and stomps out. The judge and I collect his cards and give them to the guy running the store we're in with the guy's name. The judge then rules me the winner, and passes the prize support down the chain.

Shit was funny as hell. They MRP'd Contested holding in Lotus to require the target to have a personality to stop that little bit of dickery.
>>
>>52955835
They are trash. They have worse damage and worse mastery abilities. Outside of a few exceptions 4e is pretty much Swords or Heavy Weapons only.
>>
File: 1409090670266.png (435KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1409090670266.png
435KB, 600x450px
>>52955929
Lame. Japan has cool polearms
>>
>>52955999
Its a common complaint. Hopefully 5e will make them viable.
>>
>>52956291
In the meantime just search for some fan made upgrades to their mastery abilities or write some your own, whatever.
>>
>>52955899
>revealed in being kingmaker.
Maybe it's because I'm autistic but I've never understood this, well that's not strictly true, I can draw from A to B and know why people enjoy this but I don't understand the attitude required to do so. Why would you care who's going to come in what place after or above you unless you are changing your position?

It only ever seems to be a way to bring out of game feelings into the game and make intentionally non-optimal or spiteful plays.
>>
>>52956756
>Why would you care who's going to come in what place after or above you unless you are changing your position?

Its often less about the kingmaker winning than the fact that the kingmaker has the power to determine the winner. He chooses who wins and it will not necessarily be the better player who does so.
>>
>>52956885
And it adds a political element to a game. If you can't plan for the kingmaker or curry his favor you didn't deserve to win as you neglected an aspect of the game, if only the metagame.
>>
>>52956952
sounds like kingmaker is code for attention whore who knows he can't win but will ruin your game if he doesn't get his ego stroked
>>
>>52956988
More like, you fuck over a guy and make sure he has no chance of winning and he ruins your chance of winning. Keeping a game super close is a good way to avoid having a kingmaker fuck you over. If everyone thinks they have a shot a first they'll go for it, but if one guy is trailing hard and has no chance to win, he has nothing to lose by being kingmaker and still retains agency over the direction of the game.

Also you have to play the table as much as playing the game. I remember several games where I convinced someone to do something and they got blamed for the fuckening that ensued and not me. Then when the endgame happens and a kingmaker might be in play, he's that much more likely to help me than the other guy.
>>
>>52956988
Kingmaker just means a player who has the power to determine which among the other players will win even if they are going to lose.

If it is the last round of the game you are in last place and you have the final chance to play a card. One of your cards can give another player 2 points. There is a one point difference between first and second place. You can choose which player wins the game therefore you are in the position of Kingmaker.

Its not a positive or negative thing. I just means that the outcome of a contest between two parties was determined by an external 3rd party.
>>
File: bayushi fuyuko.jpg (46KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi fuyuko.jpg
46KB, 640x444px
Goodnight, honorably samurai thread. I go to sleep for an early day tomorrow. Pls to be here tomorrow in case work is boring
>>
File: crane pissed.jpg (163KB, 1200x958px) Image search: [Google]
crane pissed.jpg
163KB, 1200x958px
>>52957199
>>52957193
I don't get what you get out of it, but if it makes you happy more power to you.
>>
>>52958081
>I don't get what you get out of it, but if it makes you happy more power to you.

Its not really getting anything out of it. Its just a type of situation that happens sometimes in multiplayer games.

During the Destroyer War Spider and Crane Honor donation totals were 1 point apart with no one anywhere near them. A Phoenix won the last honor event and opted to donate the two points to the Empire in the name of the Spider because he felt a Spider raised Heir would be more interesting than a Crane raised one. This was a Kingmaker situation.
>>
>>52953908
Massive crab berserkers that just don't die.

With fate mechanic, might be a bit more difficult to tie together, but fingers crossed.
>>
File: crab women.png (698KB, 1032x860px) Image search: [Google]
crab women.png
698KB, 1032x860px
>>52958644
There'll probably be Crab berserker cards but I bet they're going to be burn fast ones with powerful effects that key when you bring them out of play.

Though it'd be near infernal to make Crab cards which have powerful effects that get better when they remove from play, but the effects are stronger if you spend bonus fate to make them last. Do you risk removing them sooner for effects or risk the game ending before they are yoinked?
>>
File: 1493410360605.jpg (54KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493410360605.jpg
54KB, 640x960px
>>52958723

does she suck their dicks?
>>
File: Hida Kuon.jpg (180KB, 423x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hida Kuon.jpg
180KB, 423x600px
>>52958723
>Yu

A return of the Yu mechanic for the Crab would be awesome. The way Yu worked is when a personality with the trait died as a result of battle resolution he'd generate an attack equal to his Yu Rating.

For instance, our buddy Hida Kuon fights a losing battle and is destroyed during the resolution of the battle, he can destroy up to 10 Force worth followers or personalities without followers. So let's say I have a unit led by a 5 force personality and 2 2 force followers, when Kuon dies he can take that whole unit with him. If the followers were both 3 force followers, Kuon could kill the followers but would not have the force to finish off my personality.
>>
>>52959192
Don't bet on it. Characters do not die in resolution.
>>
>>52959192
Nah, Yu sucked ass. It was the very definition of "lose less" rather than "win more".
>>
>>52955457
Mainly I've seen it in MtG or, more generally, with this one faggot I was subtly urged to game with because my teenage friends thought he was funny.

His butthurt once led to him attempting to throw his own table off of a two story balcony. On said table were about $30 of magic cards, his own PS3 back in 2009 or so (about two years after the system came out) and a bunch of random snacks.

He didn't lift the table higher than two feet. Which is exactly the number of his own feet the table landed back on.
>>
>>52959607
>He didn't lift the table higher than two feet (his own) before dropping it.

>>52955457
I pretty frequently found people weren't playing by the actual CCG rules and errata. Correcting this caused a few rage quits, one of which involved the other guy trying to crush my fingers as he shook my hand after the game. Not correcting it is what eventually caused me to lose interest in zero sum L5R.
>>
>>52960168
>>He didn't lift the table higher than two feet (his own) before dropping it.
HEH yes. This is better.

Fuck. Not just this game, but SO MANY GAMES I have played where correction of their own total misinterpretation of rules have led to them calling me a cheat and a liar.

Again, MtG (what is with that and retards in small town Ontario? Wait. Small town. Canada. Some joke in there somewhere. Too dumb to find it). Same guy as before, and a couple others playing EDH. Thought that you could only play instants on your own turn, and they had zero comprehension of actual phase structure. So when I tried to play stuff "during your/my upkeep/end phase, etc" they would get booty bothered and tell me to play the game "like a real man".
While I'm busy hitting them with 4/4s for 6 as they try to play their singleton Legendary X guy they ask me "not to play that lightning bolt on him please I just played him"

no worries bruh this drunk guy's putting all the bolts in your face.

Huh. Sorry. Kinda drunkenly rambled there. But yeah. People who don't know how to play games suck, and people who get butthurt when you don't play a competitive game with their houserules really suck
>>
File: 1396970918003[1].jpg (63KB, 614x438px) Image search: [Google]
1396970918003[1].jpg
63KB, 614x438px
>>
Bampu
>>
File: Shamefur_Display.jpg (12KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
Shamefur_Display.jpg
12KB, 183x275px
>>52958723
>Not naming your pic with source for reverse image search
>>
>>52963307
Problem being that I don't know the source. I got it from another /tg/ thread where it just had a number string like all standard file names when saved directly from 4chan. There is an unknowable number of anons before that who just saved it without a name
>>
>>52963375
>>52963307

[SHD (Buchou Chinke)] Haijo DS Chou 2

Be thankful, and rename the file.
>>
>>52963396
I shall keep two copies since I do like my crab women filename. But will share the name with it for future fapping. You're a saint, anon
>>
File: 420[1].gif (4MB, 425x469px) Image search: [Google]
420[1].gif
4MB, 425x469px
>>
File: utaku_zo_sia.jpg (183KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
utaku_zo_sia.jpg
183KB, 1032x774px
By the way, I have just realized that pic related is no longer canon. Truly a loss I shall mourn for all eternity.
>>
So I'm still trying to figure out how the decks are constructed in the LCG. They make it sound like only the dynasty deck will have characters? But you draw cards from the conflict deck, so can you not draw characters and units to play from your hand and you're totally at the mercy of what characters are available on your provinces?

Maybe I shouldn't try to re-read rules posts at 1:30 in the morning.
>>
>>52966598
There are units that go in the conflict deck, but they come with cost/restriction. Vengeful Oathkeeper is a Lion Conflict card that is also a unit.

Otherwise, yes. Each player "draws" four dynasty cards and puts them in their provinces. Empty provinces are refilled, ostensibly when they're emptied. The catch is cards that fill empty provinces start face down and unavailable (unless flipped via card effect). At the start of the turn both players flip up their face down dynasty cards.
>>
>>52966598
L5r has always used a 2 deck 2 "hand" system.

You have the dynasty "hand" and conflict(formerly fate) hand.

The dynasty deck will primarily be made up of characters and holdings while the conflict deck will have actions and attachments.

To put it in MTG terms you have a creature and artifact deck and a deck with instants, sorceries and enchant creatures.
>>
>>52966676
Ah, okay. I was worried that it would be like "oh, all your cards on provinces are holdings and you got no warriors? Well go right ahead and get fucked."

And the provinces are face down until attacked, yeah?
>>
>>52967001
the solution to that is to not included too many holdings in your deck.
>>
>>52967001
Province cards are. The dynasty draws are are not.
>>
L5R Discord Server with over 300+ members!
It's got LFG, RP, and lots of discussion!

Permanent invite link: https://discord.gg/nvVX9Wb

---------------------------------------------------
>>
>>52967806
That's a bit too many people, you know?
>>
>>52967019
True.

>>52967112
Right, the warriors and holdings get turned over at the start of the dynasty phase.
>>
>"The Beast with Two Backs"
>>
File: scorpion seduction.png (342KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
scorpion seduction.png
342KB, 956x619px
>>52969910
>>
>>
>>52974294
thank god FFG isn't using genzo fucking man anymore.
>>
File: tfw no l5r thread.jpg (156KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no l5r thread.jpg
156KB, 700x900px
>>52974294
>Finger like THIS you useless twat!
>Ah, I see. My technique was lacking. I beg forgiveness Doji-san.
>>
>>52974866
Alternatively, the Blue/Purple Cranicorn is giving an impassioned, but incorrect demonstration, and Bayushi Brass Balls is about to publicly demolish her credibility in front of all this poorly drawn crowd.
>>
>>52975739
>samurai_wiping_forehead.png
>>
File: 798[1].gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
798[1].gif
3MB, 500x500px
>>52976016
>>
>>52937122
I'm sure there are those who will greatly appreciate a little splash of power.
>>
File: 1411957839681[1].jpg (139KB, 780x580px) Image search: [Google]
1411957839681[1].jpg
139KB, 780x580px
>>
>>52979430
EXTRA T H I C C
>>
>>52974294
Why is Scorpion wearing armour in what looks like a peaceful parley? Do they give that few fucks?
>>
>>52979547
No. L5R card art has always been notoriously bad at representing the setting as depicted in the fluff and Genzoman is just a really stupid person in general.
>>
>>52979547
>Do they give that few fucks?
As mentioned, it's more that Genzoman (the artist) gave that few fucks. The art basically gets posted to rustle jimmies.
>>
Does anyone have any good resources for learning to get better at writing haiku? I'm GM ing a game for people and running a super modified version of the sample adventure "Tournament of Samurai" from the back of the 4th edition book and want to mix up some of the haiku from the poetry contest, but I just plain suck at it.

Alternatively if any of you want to write some haiku I want something which is meant to make fun of a Phoenix who wrote the following haiku in the adventure:

> Birds white and fiery
> Rising through shining clear skies
> Bitter ashes fall

I want to have the Crab courtier who's turn it is next basically make fun of him/call him a blow hard. This is what I currently have for that:

> An old silent pond...
> A bird dives into the pond
> Splash! Silence again.

But I don't think that is very good....
>>
>>52980008
http://www.haikuworld.org/begin/mdwelch.tentips.html

http://www.scribophile.com/academy/an-introduction-to-advanced-haiku

Typically, you want to;

Focus on nature.
Include seasonal word(s) such as "snow" which tells the reader what time of year it is.
Division somewhere in the poem. Focuses first on one thing, than on another. The relationship between these two parts is sometimes surprising.
Instead of saying how you feel, show the details that caused an emotion. If the sight of an empty winter sky made the poet feel lonely, describing that sky can give the same feeling to the reader.
>>
>>52980422
Thanks!

I'll check these out. I should have said in my first post that I'd already found a syllable dictionary which is great because I can't hear the number of syllables in words easily for some reason. I can normally hazard a guess, which is right more often than not, but I never can say a word and think "Yeah, it is totally that many syllables."
>>
>>52980008
>summer crops grow ripe
>nourished by the pass of birds
>those bitter ashes

basically the crab going 'lol ur high-minded poetry sounds a lot like its about birds pooping'
>>
So does anyone actually play the RPG
>>
>>52982372
Still trying to find a group. Until then, only in it for the fluff.
>>
>>52982372
Played. Ran. All online. Want to play again.
>>
>>52945796
More importantly, is there a liberated copy of the map pack for this?
>>
File: Suikotsu.jpg (60KB, 744x438px) Image search: [Google]
Suikotsu.jpg
60KB, 744x438px
>>52982372

Yeah, but there are only two sessions left for my current party. Depending on how the party leader wants to do the finale and how the GM wants to handle my character development, it might extend to a third.
>>
>>52982372
Basically ever since 4e hit, yeah
>>
>>52982372
I run a weekly game.
>>
>>52982372
Looking to have the first session this Tuesday.
>>
im in two games currently. three if you count one on hiatus
>>
>>
>>52982372
Played for a bit, was fun despite the GM being a bit lackluster.
>>
How much like the GoT LCG is this gonna be? Because me and my friends love that one
>>
>>52982456
I've been in the same boat for years, no one plays this shit in real life and online groups are sparse/shit
>>
>>52949328
>art of Oni Genji

weird
>>
>>52982372

All the campaigns I was in imploded.
>>
>>52987380
blizzard invented oni masks
>>
Hey /l5r/ I'm joining a game soon and I don't know anything about the setting or system

The GM gave me a choice (based on my personality supposedly):

Lion or Mantis

Not sure what to do, any advice?
>>
>>52987683
>Not sure what to do, any advice?
Read the fucking core book.

>Lion
RAW RAW FIGHT FOR HONOUR

>Mantis
Thugs who made it to the big league.
>>
>>52987683
He could not give you more polar opposite choices. This is a bit simplified, but bear with me.

Lion are all about personal honor. They're the biggest sticklers for bushido adherence, and their bushi schools get bonuses the higher your honor is.

Mantis are about the power of the individual. They like Courage the most of the 7 virtues, and they tend to shirk the rest, with an exception for Compassion, I suppose. They have two bushi schools, one is about dual wielding hand-scythes, the other is about shooting people with a bow.
>>
>>52987808
>raw raw
It's row row. It's a bit of an obscure word in american english but it means to fight.
>>
>>52987836
It's raw raw because it's onomatopeia, autist-san.
>>
>>52987886
Are you implying that lions say "raw"?
>>
>>52987808
>>52987810
Ah, I now understand what he meant

Time to make a lion
>>
>>52987899
I'm implying nothing, autist-san.
>>
>>52987902

Shouting Matsu-sensei would be proud.
>>
File: Matsu Gohei.jpg (217KB, 426x600px) Image search: [Google]
Matsu Gohei.jpg
217KB, 426x600px
>>52987902
Go Matsu Beastmaster (Great Clans pg 136) and use a military fork like Matsu Gohei. Since your Lion will be attacking most of the time, you aren't really penalized for using a spear, you even get simple action attacks with it. So it is a rare case where looking cool won't hurt you.

Once fully kitted out you end up with 3 Lions. One guards you, and the other two you direct to attack.
>>
>see a bangin slut at court
>mack on that shit
>she's betrothed
>challenge her fiancee to a duel
>father disapproves
>challenge the old fuck to a duel
>she tries to commit seppuku
>challenge the uppity bitch to a duel
>get everything you want and look good doing it

KAKITA!
>>
>>52988055
I can have pet lions??? Fucking aces!
>>
>>52988183
ONLY if you take the Matsu Beastmaster school. They are a feature of the school. Incidentally the stats for the military fork (Magari-Yari) are in the Naisho Province book. (3k2 in melee or 2k2 thrown with a 30' range).
>>
File: tsuruchi-akira-alberto-tavira.jpg (111KB, 900x634px) Image search: [Google]
tsuruchi-akira-alberto-tavira.jpg
111KB, 900x634px
>>52987683
>Lion or Mantis

Well, both of these are the angry guys of the setting. Lion is more about being a murderhobo paladin-lookalike, while the Mantis is more about being daredevil mercenaries. Mantis is generally better for beginners because they are simple like a brick. The Lion is a bit more complicated because their two main themes tend to contrast each other in really fucking confusing ways.

I say go Mantis, be a Tsuruchi Archer (very beginner friendly School), go Air 3 + Earth 3 (plus the Perception 3 from Family bonus), pick up some Social Skills (Etiquette and Sincerity), and have fun. This character is going to be useful in literally every possible situation.
>>
looking at the way of the unicorn philosophy... if both players were unicorn wouldn't that means whoever rolls to go first gets to go first every round and the other player doesn't get any benefit at all from his philosophy? that seems terrible
>>
>>52990313
You have to discard the card to use its effect. The first player would need 1 copy for each turn they want to keep.

But yes. That's the risk of putting a conditional card in your deck.
>>
>>52990395
I have a feeling multiple copies of Way of the Unicorn will be necessary for Unicorn bum rush province break decks
>>
Running a campaign that's gone on long enough where folks are starting to get to Insight 3. The party was tasked with finding relics to help renew seals on The Lying Darkness (Obviously adjusted canon).

The party has choices on two of four choices leaving the Scorpion to get the others; They choose to go into the Shadowlands cause they are afraid of court.

Anyway, player gets married into the scorpion and players start buying Knowledge Shadowlands and Lore Heraldry. I figure "Ok let's see how they play this". They run into the son of a major Shadowlands general.

Scorpion turns towards the former tsuruchi now Shosuro archer, dips arrows in poison, and smiles in his face. "Welcome to the Scorpion clan."

He lines up a shot, and is about to roll, but I grin and say "We'll pick up here next time."

Next game is in two weeks. I proceed to get emailed a dozen "You're a dick" pics.
>>
So with renewed attention on L5R, would you guys love some novels as much as I would? I know that isn't FFG's biggest focus, but some Rokugan novels would be fucking baller(also the tabletop industry needs more novels that aren't D&D or 40k).
>>
>>52993654
The L5R novels are all pretty bad. I bought a bunch at a local used book store on the cheap. I got all the Clan War series and two of the Four Winds novels. It was a slog getting though the Clan War ones and the Tsudao focused first Four Winds novel was just plain atrocious. The Naseru one was more of a D&D novel than a L5R novel. It was all about ancient artifacts in a lost city and tons of magic items everywhere.

For the most part the weekly fictions were better quality. You can get most of them at http://www.kazenoshiro.com/
>>
>>52993654
>>52993769
It's like every other thread that someone comes along, excited about L5R and looking for novels. It's weird considering just how much free fiction there is that they probably haven't even read a tenth of.
>>
Speaking as someone who knows L5R only from the recent "Ishigaki the Crab" threads, I spotted this image in one of the threads. GIS says it's related to the Dragon Clan, but could I prevail on one of the people more versed in Rokugan to please provide proper context? The tattoos aren't just irezumi, they're actual magic, right?
Also - is this art from an official book, and if so which one?
>>
>>52994663
The Dragon are the only ones with magic tattoos. And even then, only their three orders of tattooed monks are the ones with the magic tats. Everyone else has normal ink. The magic tats come from the essence of godlike beings.

As for that particular piece. I am not sure where it was first published.
>>
>>52994663
Most tattoos are just tattoos, even for the Togashi. Their magical tattoos are actually tattoos, though they use godblood as/in the ink.
>>
>>52994663

That is Togashi Korimi, There's a card that only had her face from that picture for the art, I don't know where the full one is from.
>>
File: tattoos.jpg (207KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
tattoos.jpg
207KB, 429x600px
>>52994663
Its from the CCG not a book.
>>
>>52994663
The woman in the art piece is a monk named Togashi Korimi. Her order is noted for their magical tattoos that need to be visible to work.

She is notable for being the Rokugan equivalent of a nudist and no one can say much because she is a monk.

All he cards had her being topless.

>>52995071
Her XP2 was a cropped version of the holding in >>52995094 while >>52994663 was the original version of the commissioned art piece that was later shared by the artist.
>>
http://www.strangeassembly.com/legend-of-the-five-rings-what-clan-am-i
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (449KB, 776x566px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
449KB, 776x566px
>>52995181
>Her XP2 was a cropped version of the holding in >>52995094
Slightly different.
>>
>>52982209
Ooooh that's good.

Arigato anon-sama, I will make use of this.
>>
>>52995949
Missed that her eyes were closed on the holding.
>>
>>52994767
>>52994781
>>52995071
>>52995094
>>52995181
>>52995949
Domo arigato, minna-sama.
>>
File: Isawa_Tadaka[1].jpg (766KB, 3000x2211px) Image search: [Google]
Isawa_Tadaka[1].jpg
766KB, 3000x2211px
>>
>>52993769
>>52994646
I think some new novels could do the setting well.

I'll certainly look onto the other stuff as the setting does interest me, but I think with the new fluff reset it could do them some good to put out some novels(I've read one of the Android novels and quite enjoyed it).

I just always want more fluff without having to buy a dozen rulebooks I may never get to use.
>>
File: 200% Memed On.png (185KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
200% Memed On.png
185KB, 300x420px
>>52987683
>Play Lion
>Play Matsu berserker school
>Get virtuous advantage
>Start with 4 Strength
>Hit anything one time and watch it burst into scattered entrails.

The choice is obvious.
>>
File: Hida_Kashin.jpg (432KB, 800x595px) Image search: [Google]
Hida_Kashin.jpg
432KB, 800x595px
>>52993654

The L5R fics are traditionally trash-tier as >>52994646 said. So, for one, I would pass unless FFG makes an actual, honest-to-goodness attempt to improve the fiction quality.
>>
>>52998856
>http://www.strangeassembly.com/legend-of-the-five-rings-what-clan-am-i

Man that fucking sucks. I love the setting and as a GM would enjoy being able to lift cool ideas from some good fiction, because I am not good enough at being creative without doing at least a little stealing.
>>
>>52998940
>I love the setting and as a GM would enjoy being able to lift cool ideas from some good fiction
Problem is, as said, L5R doesn't have any good fiction.
>>
>>52998955
Well, maybe Crab-Sama will inspire more people to post retelling of games they've had, either from an in character or player's perspective; or perhaps even to write a version of games they've had in more traditional prose (after tightening it up and probably making some changes to make ti work obviously)
>>
>>52998856
>The L5R fics are traditionally trash-tier as >>52994646 said.
Err ... no I didn't. I said novels. You can stand on your own with tarring all L5R fiction as shit.
>>
>>52998940
>>52999000
There is so much good stuff to draw inspiration from on Kaze No Shiro. Not just fictions, but CFS idea for GMs, adventures, and campaigns.
>>
File: Hida-O-Ushi[1].jpg (196KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hida-O-Ushi[1].jpg
196KB, 1500x750px
>>
File: l5r[2].jpg (48KB, 384x500px) Image search: [Google]
l5r[2].jpg
48KB, 384x500px
>>
>>52999178

Well... uhm... I was referring to the novels too. The net fics are pretty much fanfic tier, so I don't think that one can nail down a solid opinion on them.
>>
>>53000669
Hard to tell when you use the commonly accepted name for net/rulebook stories.
>>
File: Badger01.jpg (54KB, 300x658px) Image search: [Google]
Badger01.jpg
54KB, 300x658px
>>53000808

Yeah, my mistake.
>>
>>53001075
Posting more Badger would make up for it. Just saying.
>>
>>52997358
Is that Ninja Kenny?
>>
>>52935869
So, I'm about to play a campaign of this for the first time. What should I make if I want to manipulate and persuade my way through the world?
>>
>>53003726
A courtier of pretty much any type. Scorpion's have the easiest time being something else and sidelining into manipulation, but literally every courtier does manipulation and persuasion.
>>
>>53003726
Bayushi or Doji Courtier. The former if you like being a manipulative bastard that blackmails for fun and profit. The later if you want to be the nice person that calls in favors on occasion.
>>
>>53003027
>by the fortunes, they killed Tadaka-san!
>you fatherlesss dogs!
>>
File: kakita_iaijutsu_master.jpg (475KB, 732x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kakita_iaijutsu_master.jpg
475KB, 732x1000px
>>53003726
>What should I make if I want to manipulate and persuade my way through the world?

A duelist. You will have to raise your social trait anyway, and it is much better to back your words with a blade than with a memetic courtier technique.

Only go for a courtier if you want to play full non-combat mode.
>>
>>52955835
If you really want to use spears, take a look at Utaku Mounted Infantry in Imperial Histories 2 (p168). As >>52955929 said, swords and heavy weapons are king, but if you are set on using spears Mounted Infantry is the way to go.
>>
Anyone know where to find epub/ebook or other electronic versions of the L5R novels? I travel a lot due to work in a country where the shipping costs and times are atrocious, so ordering used books isn't really an option. Don't even have an actual posting address currently.
>>
What was the size of the two decks in the original L5R CCG?
>>
>>53007255
60/60, The stronghold, sensei, and flavor of the favor you have don't count.
>>
File: Backwards aging.jpg (303KB, 872x600px) Image search: [Google]
Backwards aging.jpg
303KB, 872x600px
The Crane are so awesome they age backwards.
>>
>>53006211
Sweet, thanks
>>
>>53006211
The Lion Elite Spearman (Naisho Province pg 8) isn't terrible either. It one of two schools that gets a Free Action Attack. That same book also has the best choice for a spear as well with the Magari-Yari (3k2 melee, 2k2 thrown).
>>
>>53010254
Cool
>>
>>53009361
>The Crane are so awesome they age backwards.
Only Shizue is author-insert enough to manage this.
>>
File: 1282726103800.jpg (39KB, 307x485px) Image search: [Google]
1282726103800.jpg
39KB, 307x485px
>>52935869

Dammit right in the waifu
>>
>>53011481
Enjoy getting the Shadowlands Taint...literally in your taint.
>>
>>53011510
Jade Goldbond Powder should clear that right up
>>
>>53010254
>It one of two schools that gets a Free Action Attack.
Minor Clan Defender, Scorpion Saboteur ... I think there might even be more.
>>
>>53009361
No that's just Shizue, the most notorious Mary Sue in all of L5R.
>>
>>53006434
It's honestly not worth the effort to even pirate them. They're so bad they don't even have the train wreck factor, they're just boringly bad, not even interesting bad.
>>
>>53012844
Both of those are Advanced schools. The MCD attaches a Void cost and the stipulation that you don't get any other attacks that round to the FAA, which makes it an entirely different sort of ability than other FAAs.
>>
>>53013006
Oh okay, that might explain why I can't find em piratable anywhere seeing how I have found numerous older books in snazzy epub and such formats that are from even more niche game settings and such. Thanks for the tip, anon-san!

That being said, I am currently starting in a game where I am going to be playing a Shosuro infiltrator dude in a group of mixed clans. What weapons should I be using and putting points into being able to use? Any tips on other skills and shenanigans?
>>
>>53014280
Talk to your GM about the optional rule in Strongholds for all ninja, and improving ninjutsu weapons so as to not make that a total exp sink. At least an optional ninja-to that works like a wakizashi. And remember, you are just a normal Scorpion bushi to other people. Have some plain old kenjutsu too
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (159KB, 663x440px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
159KB, 663x440px
>>53013670
Here's the thing; you're nitpicking, and I don't care that you want to move the goalposts after the fact. If "only the Mirumoto Bushi gets a similar rank 5 technique" was what you wanted to say, then say that, and save the bs.
>>
>>53014280
>That being said, I am currently starting in a game where I am going to be playing a Shosuro infiltrator dude in a group of mixed clans. What weapons should I be using and putting points into being able to use? Any tips on other skills and shenanigans?
Talk with your GM about Sacred Weapon: Shosuro Blade counting as a Ninja tagged weapon, and whether ninja-to are actually well known ninja weapons or just shoddy, easily replaced, concealable blades.

Consider Stronghold's Shadow Blades Path if the GM rules against you; it will allow you to Simple Action Attack with samurai weapons, and add +1k1 to attack & damage with ninja weapons.
>>
>>53014418
>Talk to your GM about the optional rule in Strongholds for all ninja
You mean Great Clans? Where the Rank 3 Goju Ninja technique is made available for Shosuro Infiltrators?
>>
>>53014418
Whats that optional rule? Only thing pertaining to ninja in that book with ctrl+f was the Shadow Blades alternate path that gives you simple action attacks with katanas and ninjutsu weapons and +1k1 to attack and damge rolls with ninja tagged weapons. Should that be swapped to the baseline Shosuro Infiltrator technique or do you mean that other one from some other book that allowed you to throw extra shuriken as one attack action?

How would you go improving ninjutsu weapons? And what do you mean with "optional ninja-to that works like a wakizashi"? One that you can throw, since apart from the ninja-to breaking and being able to throw wakizashi I don't really see any differences?

>>53014820
Yeah the Shosuro Blade looks pretty damn nifty, altho the +5 to poison TNs is pretty ludicrous, seeing how crazy (realistic) the poisons are in this game.
>>
>>53014836
I could have sworn that shit was squirreled away in Strongholds.

But either way, read Strongholds. It is a nice read to apply the lessons of various clans to the ideal of rulership.
>>
>>53014820
>>53014418
Also, should I look into dual wielding? I have seen some say that going sword and knife is a good idea, but +insight rank to Armor TN doesn't seem that big of a deal for sinking 8xp on knives. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>53014888
Between Core (Obsidian Magistrate), Strongholds (Daigotsu Scout), and Second City (Colonial Conqueror), I think there's a solid foundation for an actual assassin school that isn't perpetual solid snake sneakery and can make a single attack worth a damn, but that's another topic.
>>
>>52935869
As a Shadowlands/Spider supporter I'm happy we get a second chance.
Most of the hate we got from other factions steamed from a shitty origin story (Destroyer War) and a poorly explained Great Clan status (Age of Explorer had a very detailed and cool "how does these devil worshippers actually work for the Empire" forum post by one of the designers. Think about this.) and outside of 2 supplements, the faction was left to as is. So many confusion and anger at misinformation and legit shit writing (again, Destroyer war).

FFG will probably not try to open a new can of worms and resume us as Shadowlands but with Spider name and mon for being iconic and that's about it.
>>
>>52945815
>Bring on the crazy dice RPG!
>Warhammer Fantasy

Sorry anon I just had a PTSD attack...
>>
>>53014959
Dual Wielding itself isn't much of a boost unless you're seriously working your ATN, and by the time it means anything, attack rolls have outstripped most defence TN's.

That said, a knife is sometimes ok for the free raise the Knives skill adds to Disarm (r5) & Extra Attack (r7). Kenjutsu is still the winning skill for damage in socially acceptable killing tools.

Ask your GM whether "Off-hand penalties do not apply when using a knife" applies to attacking with the knife in the off hand, attacking with a knife and another weapon in the off hand, or attacking with another weapon while holding a knife in the off hand.
>>
File: doji boy....or girl.jpg (112KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
doji boy....or girl.jpg
112KB, 500x700px
>>
>>53015020
Bullshit. Most hate the Spider because Corporate gave them more favoritism than even the Crane got at their worst. Hopefully we'll never see DaiMarySue and his retarded clan ever again.
>>
File: sudoku.png (342KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
sudoku.png
342KB, 394x394px
>>53014730
His point was that few schools get three attacks without raises. If you're going to be an ass, consider pic related.
>>
>>53015297
The only favoritism they got was in the canned Onyx edition. They lost every major conflict they were in, as much "losing" a great clan can have to another.

And by "favoritism" I mean "they got turned into a faceless and antagonist faction again and were made the big bad at the end".
>>
>>52942523
What any of these things *actually* are means fuck-all.
The setting's always been 90% Japan-ish, with the other 10% being whatever they felt like throwing in.
Yeah, the Naga and Nezumi never should have been their own factions, but they've got a place in the setting, and sperging out about them is stupid.
>>
>>53015385
>Not fucked over by the "lose" condition in the Race for the Throne. In fact they got their tainted dicks sucked the entire Celestial arc and big daddy D gets to do everything to save the day because in a setting where "Honor is stronger than steel," being a blasphemous dishonorable dog is the way to victory.

>Don't suffer from the Taint Crazies because of their Sooper Sekrit Sith Kode. Once again shitting all over one of the central tenets of the setting.

>Getting to be an Imperially Sanctioned Great Clan despite serving a force that actively seeks to destroy not just the Empire but the entire fucking universe.

Yeah, no favoritism there...
>>
>>52952439
The Day of Thunder went down the only possible way that wouldn't have been cringe-worthy, and it happened (supposedly) by accident.
I don't trust anyone who thinks it's a good idea to mess with that.
>>
>>53015311
you know, I've seen this image for years, and i never once noticed that the middle line has two 2's on it.
>dishonorabru
>>
>>53012965
I wonder what Ree Soesbee is up to these days.
Not because I'm idly curious, I'm just terrified where she might strike next.
>>
>>53015038
Given that the ccg came first, I could see them bringing back the cards from fantasy for any L5R fifth ed. All you kata, school technuiqes, mastery abilites and spells now in cards with cooldwon format! And Dice tied to rings! with, of course, void points as fate points!

...all I'm saying is, they're gonna have to try really hard NOT fuck it up.
>>
>>53015695
Last I heard she was doing shit for Onyx Path and writing Guild Wars novels.
>>
>>53015624
>>Getting to be an Imperially Sanctioned Great Clan despite serving a force that actively seeks to destroy not just the Empire but the entire fucking universe.

Let's unpack this:
Daigotsu, the founder of the Spider Clan was a follower of Fu Leng, the ninth Kami. He also uses Jigoku to do his own bidding, even at one point, sitting at it's trone.

Despite this, his ambitions are quite human. He wishes to rule Rokugan on his own imagine. Not destroy the world, nor eat the universe.

The planar powers he controls however, by nature, try to consume the human realm.

One faction (Jigoku) wishes to destroy the universe, the other wishes to rule Rokugan (Daigotsu, being a fucking Hantei will do that to you) and the other wanted to be part of the Empire on his own twisted way (Being a Kami will do that to you).

>>Not fucked over by the "lose" condition in the Race for the Throne. In fact they got their tainted dicks sucked the entire Celestial arc and big daddy D gets to do everything to save the day because in a setting where "Honor is stronger than steel," being a blasphemous dishonorable dog is the way to victory.

Hey if we are going with "the story team ignores results to tell a story" as favoritism, they sure as fuck turned that back on winter court 4, where the Spider and it's alliance won and they had to change the rules to give the victory to the supporters of the Lion.

"AEG ignores players results" should only count by favoritism if a faction wins all the time through it.

>>Don't suffer from the Taint Crazies because of their Sooper Sekrit Sith Kode. Once again shitting all over one of the central tenets of the setting.

You are just wrong sir, please allow me to list how:
- Shourido is not a secret and has not been a secret ever since Spider became a great clan, some members of other clans even adopted it, studied or down right shunned it. There is lore explaining this further on the Imperial Archives.
(more to come)
>>
>>53015695
Also as an aside the infamous Hamburger Hepler used to write for L5R too, but strangely her work there was actually good. She wrote the Bearers of Jade which is one of the best books in the line.
>>
>>53015755
>Onyx Path
Best Containment Field we ever built! Only had to sacrifice a couple of dead rpgs.
>>
>>53015795
It's cute watching spider fags clamor to justify their lore raping Mary Sue bullshit.

You faggots killed the game, period. AEG sold it off to FFG because all the bullshit surrounding the spider and post destroyer events drove off 90% of the fanbase. They'd be stupid to go anywhere near that spider horseshit ever again.

Your shitshow of a "clan" is dead and gone forever, deal with it.
>>
>>53015624
>>53015795
- Shourido does not protect one from the taint, if anything it was a fast track to it back at the days of the city of the lost.
- Shourido in itself tends to be embraced by taint crazies in the first place, so they were and continue to be, crazy and tainted.

My theory is that you are confusing on how the taint changed when Daigotsu became Lord of Hell with his pact with Iweko I, where he would hold down taint spread and move all tainted subjects to the colonies and throw them at foreign monsters and creatures as per request of the Empress.

It's fine fine if you dislike the reason but all reasons you presented to me outside getting mad at AEG being AEG when it comes to story results seem a bit weird, don't you think?

Finally, all that bullshit the Spider was pulling? They were being portrayed as straight up villains, being indignant and angry at them was a plot point and what made several clans rally towards the Crab in their righteous war in the colonies against the Spider.
>>
>>53015836
So you just offend me while saying a bunch of wrong shit about the thing you hate while blaming my support as somehow "poisonous" to the game?

See who you were quoting please: I flat out stated FFG would never open that can of worms again. You seem to be angry about someone you made up on your head friend.
>>
>>53015836
Honestly, by the time that they decided to go have wars with India, the setting was fucked, Spider or no Spider.
I'd had several debates with friends about when exactly L5R jumped the shark before the Destroyer; *after* the Destroyer, we realized that the setting had gotten worse, but hadn't actually jumped until that moment.
>>
>>53015867
The end of the Destroyer War killed L5R for my original playgroup. The mass bannings AEG had to implement on their forums was pretty telling.
>>
>>53016000
>Mass bannings
OMFG.
I mean, I remember the forums always being amazingly terrible, just a non-stop partisan bitch fest, but at least in an entertaining way.
The idea that this somehow mutated into something so salty it had to be nuked is, yeah, a sign that something's gone horribly wrong.
>>
Spider Clan sucks. It has always sucked. Daigotsu being a Hantei to have a "legitimate claim" is an asspull so they could push the shitty idea.
>>
>>53015311
>His point was that few schools get three attacks without raises.
Sure it was, but the initial response is equally about the fact multiple schools can get free attacks if they want it, as it is about putting out the uncertainty of exactly how many there are.

The reply to that was as much of an ass in shutting that down and changing criteria, as the follow up was, and as you're being in trying to jump in and 'defend' someone perfectly capable of doing so themselves - if they actually think it's worth doing. Thus far, they have not.

> If you're going to be an ass, consider pic related.
If you really want to denounce what has been said here, then pic related is right up your alley. Get to it.
>>
>>53017062
Different anon. What exactly is happening in the pic? The guy is scared of blood so she cut herself to freak him out?
>>
So /tg/ planning to run a one shot of this system to get the feel of it. Any tips for running it? And any tips for building characters?
>>
>>53018347
More specifically, should I bother with all that jazz in the Book of Water chapter of the 4e book?
>>
>>53017579
It's Kanshi. The three cuts.

IE, protest suicide.
>>
>>53017579
Nope.

She's committing kanshi. Kinda like seppuku you perform when your lord doesn't agree with you and you want to express how they couldn't be more wrong, except you bind yourself up afterwards, try to talk with them one last time, and reveal how dedicated you are to saying they're wrong. Then die.

Jokes on you if they change their mind before your big reveal.
>>
>>53015624
>Not fucked over by the "lose" condition in the Race for the Throne. In fact they got their tainted dicks sucked the entire Celestial arc and big daddy D gets to do everything to save the day because in a setting where "Honor is stronger than steel," being a blasphemous dishonorable dog is the way to victory.

You realize that the losing clan no matter which was going to get that storyline? Had Scorpion won it was the Dragon that were going to get redemption or dissolution storyline? Had the final Spirituality score been a few points different the Mantis would have been the ones who lost Great Clan status.

And there wasn't much Spider "dick sucking" outside of the final Goddess story that was a complete mess due to the Scorpion redirecting everyone into the Castle of the Wasp when the Story team was always planning to open up a new pit in the Scorpion lands.

Heck one of the big reasons why Spider got the Imperial Heir was that they managed to be nearly as honorable as the Crane. The last 2 points were even from a Phoenix player who thought it would be cool to have a Spider Heir instead of a Crane Heir.
>>
>>53019376
True, they actually did suffer for "losing" the RFTT, but the ST managed to do it in such a way that the Spider weren't satisfied by how they managed to remain the Spider ... come to think of it, nor was anyone else.

Long term; it was never not going to make the clans supposed to police that shit look bad, and the Spider had to dump too much of themselves just to sorta look like they were complying with Rokugan.
>>
Question.

For the Tsuruchi Archer school, is it better to stick with the path all the way up to rank five, or is there alternative paths that work well with them?
>>
>>53018376
I wouldn't bother with all of the other books for a one shot of the game. The core book has everything you need, and then some.
>>
>>53015660
>The Day of Thunder went down the only possible way that wouldn't have been cringe-worthy

The Second Day of Thunder did have its share of cringe-worthy moments, to be honest.
>>
>>53018376
Nope. Go basic with the core Great Clans.
>>
>>53021175
He should look at kata though
>>
>>53020680
Unless you want to switch out to being an average swordsman and not the best archer, then stick with the base school.

>>53015660
The Honourable Dragon Movement did fuck with the direction of the storyline a fair bit, and while that did keep the Dragon 'honourable', it also derailed the story that followed - which pretty much continued as planned, but with the Lying Darkness in Hitomi's place. No matter how rosy your glasses when looking back at 2DoT, this didn't work particularly well. The LD just wasn't cut out to be a good fit for the storyline it was wedged into, and the Dragon not being shaken up left them (for the most part) passively lingering in Togashi's shadow for almost all of the remaining storyline. To the point that the ST repeatedly felt it was necessary to do things like the Tamashii retcon, Heaven's Net, etc.

TL;DR, there are at least two factions that would have been better off with the original direction, rather than the messing around we officially read about.
>>
>>53021220
It's a one shot. Easier not to get mixed up with anything beyond the standard.
>>
File: 1470452934362.jpg (6MB, 2067x3392px) Image search: [Google]
1470452934362.jpg
6MB, 2067x3392px
>>
>>53021220
The kata in the core book are supple enough, and like the other person said, a one shot shouldn't be too complicated.
>>
>>53021322
Fair point; I'm not saying 2DoT was amazing, I just feel like 'letting play results decide the plot' is not as good an idea as it sounds, and I don't think most of the 'planned' results would have turned out all that great.
Thread posts: 302
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.