[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 460
Thread images: 69

5th Edition D&D General

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Skill Feats:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52767966
>>
benis
>>
File: IMG_0935.png (13KB, 528x404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0935.png
13KB, 528x404px
>>52772981
>>
File: it aint regular smoke.jpg (499KB, 1600x1173px) Image search: [Google]
it aint regular smoke.jpg
499KB, 1600x1173px
What are the features you'd expect to see from a Shaman?
>>
whoa, 4e is pretty good. What's with the hate?
>>
>>52773012
reposting since last thread just ended
>>
>>52773031
People hate it because it sucked
>>
>>52773044
Put everything into charisma and if they catch you being sneaky just intimidate them into not ratting you out
>>
>>52773031

As someone who liked 4e, I think it's mostly bad first impressions.

>Broken math on release
>Dramatic restructuring of how rulebooks were written
>Far more active combat system, where every side had multiple things to keep track of every round. This, with the broken math, made combat incredibly slow
>Rules written under the assumption that groups would be using a grid+minis

I think that once the errata and feat taxes are fixed, the game itself is rock solid and incredibly fun. It's just that the initial release was such a boring slog to learn and play that most people not only never bothered to play again, but never bothered to keep updated on the changes that were implemented.
>>
>>52773044
In my last game I did a rogue/monk that was built around grapple and expertise in athletics. It was fun. He was mostly a monk than a rogue, but I played him as a brute criminal roguish half-orc dickhead.
>>
Should I go Soul Knife or Immortal?

I like the theme and some abilities of Immortal more but being able to regain the equivalent to spell slots by murder seems incredibly useful.
>>
Anyone played a Kobold before? How'd it go? I'm thinking of doing a Kobold Moon Druid for those pack tactics.
>>
File: 1475767494360.jpg (42KB, 415x540px) Image search: [Google]
1475767494360.jpg
42KB, 415x540px
Hey /5eg/, what's a good one shot adventure I can master for new players?
Been DMing for a few months now, and I've got some friends that want to join but would rather first play a one shot.
I could do something in my own setting but maybe a written adventure would do better.
>>
File: Mountaintop Observatory.jpg (761KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
Mountaintop Observatory.jpg
761KB, 1900x2640px
>>52773236
Had a lot of fun with a modified version of this.
>>
>>52773004
Speak with spirits/extraplanar entities
Craft medicine brews
>>
>>52773004
Either a druid, cleric, or warlock archetype desu.
>>
>>52773031
The MMORPG style layout doesn't give the same feel as 5e, even if in both cases you could improvise an X.
>>
>>52773004
Being a better rework of the druid.
>>
Does the Mystic's Ogre and Giant forms stack with it's 5 ft reach the discipline gives normally?
>>
>>52773455
How the hell can an RPG book have an "MMORPG style layout"?
>>
>>52773004
I could see it being mechanically similar to a Warlock, with limited spell slots that come back on short rest and "nature invocations" or some such that give similar effects without needing spell slots.
>>
>>52773004
Druid with Chainlock familliars.
>>
>>52773004
I assume we're talking about what 3.5 called a Spirit Shaman (druid without wild shape) and not Dragon Shaman (weird aura support fire breathing dragonboo)?

Either Druid Archetype with spirits making him more of a skill monkey or another class that is either a full or half caster that can have spirits possess it for buffs
>>
>>52773510
By being more comparable to an MMORPG than other editions of D&D in various terms, such as abilities and numbers scaling high as levels increase.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but I'd be surprised if someone tried to say that 5e was more like an MMORPG instead. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone likened 3.5e to it but I don't think the 3.5 clusterfuck is quite in that territory.
>>
>>52773606
3e is, as we all know, nothing more than tabletop Diablo.
>>
>>52773492
Yeah, focuses benefits are separate to the disciplines actives.

And yes that does mean you can make a retarded bug-bear who
>>
File: shaman.jpg (38KB, 420x471px) Image search: [Google]
shaman.jpg
38KB, 420x471px
>>52773004
I've found that bard is actually a pretty flavorful way to play a shaman character. Bang on the drum all day while channeling spirits. A *lot* of bard spells can be flavored as some sort of minor contact from the other side - and you can steal any spell you want. A bard with Spirit Guardians would be neat as heck.
>>
>>52773768
can whack people from 30ft away with melee weapons.
>>
If a druid is infected with a disease while in Wild Shape, do they stay diseased after returning to their true form? What about poisoned?
>>
>>52773793
yes
>>
>>52773793
Why wouldn't it
>>
>>52772931
Thanks, what sub classes though.
Or is that not important?
>>
>>52774024
As mentioned, if DM allows
>Multiclassing with UA content
Hexblade or Seeker and Sea Sorcerer, Close quarters shooting fighting style
Otherwise, fiend pact, dragon sorcerer and defense fighting style.
>>
What are my players supposed to do with an Armor of Vulnerability? After removing the curse, I mean. Keep using it because it's the only armor available and is plate?
>>
Hey /5eg/, would you take Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade as an EK?
>>
>>52773004
Something less interesting than the 4e shaman
>>
File: subclass.png (59KB, 1628x524px) Image search: [Google]
subclass.png
59KB, 1628x524px
>>52774066
I'm talking about this
>>
>>52774116
Yes, Booming Blade if you have the mobile feat, Green-Flame Blade if you plan on being in the front lines. Both are worth it if you want them.
>>
>>52774147
You don't get a fighter archetype because you're not level 3 in fighter. There isn't really any awfully useful archetype, because champion doesn't boost EB's crit range. They do get a fighting style though.
I provided warlock and sorcerer's archetypes though - Sorcerer is draconic bloodline unless UA, Warlock is fiend unless UA.

If you're optimizing about, that is.
>>
>>52774178
I was thinking GFB and Lightning Lure. With the War Caster feat, if I used Lightning Lure on an OA what would the effects be?
>>
>>52774116
Take both, but don't expect to use them often if you're going for greatswords and shit. They'd mostly only be useful for readied actions and such, or if you decide to multiclass, or at specific levels such as 3-4 or 7-10.

If you plan on using BB/GFB a lot, go rapier+shield, and do consider that you could multiclass at level 7 if you wish to into, I don't know, rogue or something. Rogue would give you sneak attack damage while your GFB+BB continues to progress in damage. But do note there are sacrifices, like not getting haste or whatever.
>>
>>52774196
I don't know how I didn't read that the first 2 times.
>>
File: 1492466323193.jpg (42KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492466323193.jpg
42KB, 640x360px
>>52774264
I have times when I read shit and completely misread it or miss entire sections. I'm bad at reading books, but here I am, arguing about the contents of a book on the internet.
>>
>>52774238
get the grease spell too so you can become greased lightning
>>
What's a good reason a paladin would multiclass into warlock with a refluffed fiend patron as an angelic patron? I'm just dipping for 3 levels.
>>
Prismatic Peak came out yesterday out, has got to look through it?
>>
Any way to uncurse an item?
>>
>>52774341
break it
>>
>>52774341
remove curse and wish
>>
Getting back into D&D after a year long hiatus. Has there been any updates to the classes since then?

Joining a new campaign so would like to know. Thinking about rolling a monk. Are the Ranger updates official? Can I sword mage effectively as an eldritch knight? What do you recommend for him. Monks still okay or any updates?

Thanks guys
>>
>>52774469
remove curse doesn't remove the curse from an item, just the player
>>
I'm running SKT right now. I'm concerned that I've been running it at too slow of a pace.

How do you make overland travel interesting while conveying time passing, without making it "we only get to cities every other session"?
>>
if moon druids get unlimited alter self at 14, why dont normal druids get alter self on their spell list? it seems rather fitting
>>
File: 1346821357890.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1346821357890.png
98KB, 612x491px
>>52774568
What if the cursed item is sentient...
If you uncurse an evil sword does it lose it's killing intent and become a good sword?
>>
>>52774671
You fool, it was already cursed to act good.
Now it's even worse.
>>
>>52774315

3PP stuff for 5e is really really slow to show up on the usual troves so it could take some time before it shows up.

/5eg/ tends to be try before you by types
>>
>I'd like to play my Monk, either Half Elf or Human, proceeding for the path of the Long Death. I'd like to style him after the concept of the Plague Doctor, following a more mystical path as the sometimes revered and sometimes feared figure who dared to walk among plague and famine with no fear. Ichabold, namely known as Nevermore, has been left a nameless orphan in front of the monastery that took care of him and taught him the arts of the Long Death. Given the philosophy of the monastic order to which he belongs he has often spent time by the side of the sick and the dying, something that has made him compassionate in his purpose but grim and realistic in front of the world's reality. He wouldn't have abandoned the monastery if it wasn't for the encounter with a Plaguedoctor who had made his way there to spend his final days before that age or disease were to claim him. In the few months that he spent by his side, Ichabold was enlightened by the stories of this common man who dared so many perils if only to help the ones close to death. As the old Doctor passed away he decided to take his place in the world, wearing a garment much similar to that of the deceased and setting out to continue his duty. If a man who had nothing but his will succeed to do so for so long, the someone who has received the teachings of death itself had no right to do any less than him.

What should I say to this guy?
>>
>>52774793
>Nephalos hails from the High Forest. Sometime in his past, he grew tired of the somewhat provincial living of the elves that surrounded him. He took up jobs trading along the waterways of Faerun until he had accumulated enough money to open up a small, but well maintained storefront in a city. He runs a magical laundry service there using the prestidigitation spell to pay the bills, but also enjoys turning the storefront into a bar by night, and dancing with the locals. He’s quite a flirt, enjoying playing up his elvish good looks by wearing subtle (and sometimes, not-so-subtle) makeup and engaging in various scandalous activities with anyone of even trifling fame whom he manages to impress (which is something he thinks he’s good at).

And to this one, for this matter
>>
>>52774793
work it out with the rest of the party
if the character backgrounds are all pretty consistent in tone it should be fine
if not let the halfling gambling addict that's obsessed with maps make his character into a joke
>>
How does this sound for a flamethrower guys?
Also what rarity would this be?

This Hand Mortar has 9 charges while holding it you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the spell Burning Hands (Save DC: 15) from it with a range of 60 ft. cone. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. The mortar regains 1d8+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend all charges in the mortar, your misfire value increases by 3.
>>
>>52774116
>>52774238
They're the best picks for an eldritch knight. Other good options are shocking grasp and frostbite. Lightning lure is good if you know for sure you'll be doing a lot of tactical shit in combat.

I've found that booming blade can be hard to set off the way you want it to. Polearms and reach weapons make it much easier to work with, especially if you have a few other frontline people in your party and aren't taking hits so well. Lightning lure could pair well with BB and a polearm, but you wouldnt likely get to use that combo often once enemies wise up to your shit.
On top of that, you may want to check with your dm before you build just to spam reach+gfb/bb - there's some debate over whether the range of the spell is nullified by the reach of the weapon.
>>
>>52774529
Check the mega

Official doesn't matter unless you AL. Revised Ranger is otherwise superior. EK does its best at tanking. Spam SCAG cantrips, especially at level 7. All Monks are fine except Wot4E. Wot4E could benefit from reducing ki costs of everything by 1 and granting Wis mod extra Ki.
>>
>>52774594
Turn it into a text adventure- zoom out the focus and give the party some broad choices every few in-game days, the ability to use skill checks to get good results (possibly even getting a bit of loot or some potions or scrolls or something), or have bad things happen if they choose to do dangerous things and/or roll badly. Can get delayed, or lose an animal or item. Think of The Oregon Trail, or Banner Saga.

Some simple ideas are:
>Encounter a travelling merchant(?) in a caravan who offers to read your fortune, and fortells you finding some treasure near a waterfall. (If you pay him)
A few days later (with a handful of other events in between, to test their memory), mention crossing a bridge with a view of a waterfall. If the PCs go to investigate, you can have them roll some search checks and, if they're succesful, find some treasure. If you're feeling mean, it could have been a trick and there are some bandits camped behind there lying in wait, or who they spot stealing something from their cart/ stealing a horse on the way back from a fruitless search.
If it was a camp, or a trick, you can then reward any character who is smart enough to avoid being caught by the trap with some XP or a bunch of bandit gold/ a silvered sword or something.

>A good survival roll when identifying some strange footprints that cross the path will lead to a monster den (easily cleared out by decently levelled PCs), and you find some kidnapped children or whatever that can be brought to a nearby farm for a reward and a place to stay the night.

With things like these it's not important to go into full detail over the combat. Especially when dealing with low level, low risk threats, you can gloss over the details and have choices like "do we take a risk or play it safe" in different situations. Just narrate the outcomes, don't have too much penalty or reward, but give them chances to be smart!
>>
>>52774311
To be a power gaming faggot, seriously if you can't come up with a decent reason before multiclassing don't do it.
>>
>>52774341
I would argue that removing a curse from an item should be a quest in itself.
>>
>>52774671
But killing inferior beings is good
>>
>>52774947
>It's another 'It's permanent as long as you don't use all charges but one' weapon

I much prefer a system that's more like 'Roll 1d20. You must roll equal to or above the number of charges you are recharging or else [bad thing]'
Because honestly not using that last charge on a wand or that really doesn't feel like much of a penalty for keeping it permanently.
Actually, with a wand, I think the idea is like with nethack where if you keep casting with an already-used wand, it'll eventually cast that one last spell and crumble, but if you keep it uncharged you can just recharge it in the morning.
And anyway it only has a 1d20 chance of crumbling if it's a wand, having an item with a 100% chance of damage each time seems a bit silly, you're never gonna need that extra d6 or whatever at the cost of the item.

But, yeah, it's fine as an item, even if it's just a blatant 'wand of burning hands' with refluff. Nothing crazy interesting mechanically.
>>
>>52774968
You mean Booming Blade, a 10ft reach (in whichever way you want) and Spell Sniper.

RAW Booming Blade has a 5ft range so you need Spell Sniper to double that to 10ft and then a 10ft melee range so you can actually hit people with the melee attack.
>>
>>52775094
You might as well just get mobile, move 5ft towards them, booming blade them, then move 5ft away from them.
>>
>>52775094
My dm doesn't require spell sniper to increase the range, and there's this tweet that seems to imply it isnt necesary.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/24/polearm-booming-blade/

thus why I said to talk to your dm, since there's controversy over how it works RAW.
>>
>>52773004
Works best as a Fighter archetype that summons ghost pals.
>>
>>52774671
No, but the sentient item's offense at having been decursed and the lingering magic of your hex-breaking spell combine to make the item incredibly, violently racist towards all members of your species.
>>
>>52774983
Thanks for the info
>>
>>52773779
This is how I've done it as well.
You can also be the mystic guy who tells stories around the campfire.

Take druid magic initiate as a feat and you can pick up control flames to aid your story telling around a campfire, plus guidance for consulting the spirits before a roll. Speak with animals is a decent once per day spell to pick up from druid because it requires no roll and fits pretty thematically as well. I also like create or destroy water because you can do a "rain dance."
>>
Hey guys, i tried asking in the sharethread, with no luck, but does anyone have the pdf of TPK's Fifth Edition Options? Would be greatly appreciated
>>
File: k20 wtf.jpg (109KB, 872x544px) Image search: [Google]
k20 wtf.jpg
109KB, 872x544px
>>52772909
Ok i may be retarded of something but i'm fucking losing my mind. I'm prepping cos and FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANNOT understand how is K20 connected to any of the rooms on this floor, because other that i don't seem to find a way to have the players arrive in that staircase.

Again i will fully accept roasts for this but whatever you do tell me what the fuck am i not seeing.
>>
>>52775404
Looks like a hallway from k13, hidden behind that flight of stairs. This kind of shit can confuse me a lot too, dont feel bad. Isometric maps are cool looking but they suck for actual navigation purposes when shit can just be in the way of other shit.
>>
>>52775404
The staircase is connected on higher floors and lower floors. It's not accessible from the ground floor because it contains a pretty powerful boon for Strahd.
>>
>>52775404
K13 and also accessed from a staircase at K20a which is presumably a lower floor and possibly a staircase down from K24?
>>
>>52775497
>>52775494
>>52775469
thank you all for the help, i think >>52775494 has the right answer. Thanks again.
>>
>>52775532
Yeah, as >>52775494 says you can't get to it from this floor directly. The fastest ways there are up through the servants' quarters from outside by forcing the door (stairs, secret door), or down through the Chaimerlain's Office (!) if you're feeling tough.
>>
>>52775567
Thanks, i was a bout ot get an aneurysm from this shit, until that point everything made sense.
>>
>>52775230
Mearls' tweets are "this is how I might rule this as a DM" as opposed to Crawford's "this is how the rules are written and/or intended"

>>52774311
You already made yourself one? By refluffing?

>>52774341
Wish with a reasonable DM, some cursed items have other methods built into them such as Banishment with Weapons of Vengeance
>>
So has anybody here actually tried the downtime rules?

Alternately: which UA rules do you all think are going to pop up in a future edition?
>>
>>52775786
Yes. They work really well on their own and I plan on making use of them for future campaigns as a framing device.
>>
>>52773004
Trickery Cleric and ask your DM to let you melee attack through your clone.
>>
File: tumblr_lwfkecJhte1qdnnl3o1_500.jpg (95KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwfkecJhte1qdnnl3o1_500.jpg
95KB, 500x375px
Does anyone have hands-on experience playing a mystic?
I can't seem to find coherent feedback on it that is not just theorycrafting.
>>
>>52775997
I have.
>>
>>52776015
care to share?
>>
Dwarf eldrich knight

How do I do it well /5eg/?
>>
I'd like to run a down to earth campaign, and please tell me if 5e works for this idea.

>Group of 5k people get sent into space with an ark ship
>Stocked with replicators that will last for 1000 years
>Early in the trip, a contagion breaks out in the ship
>It seems to be killing people left and right
>Anyone who came into contact with the contagion (around 40% of the ship) get sealed off in one half of the ship
>No one goes in that area for the next 800 years, because of how toxic the contagion was to the people before it
>The players are guards of the areas near the sealed off section, as large bacteria-like things have been popping out of containment
>Eventually they discover the sealed off section isn't rotting over, but populated with survivors of the original contagion, and have been living off of the replicators that were left over
>The survivors and the original group have become two diametrically opposed systems of society (Player side being a caste system, survivor side being a direct democracy)
>Players get to interact and shape this pseudo first contact situation while also finding and stopping the source of the bacteria with help from either one or both societies

Any equipment would be adapted into appropriate things for the setting (crossbows into rubber bullet guns, armor into future armor, swords into batons, ect) and the tech level is near future, aside from replicators.

Would it work?
>>
So which Mystic order is the best? Power and/or flavour aspect.
>>
>>52775997
Yeah I've played one from levels 1-6. What do you want to know?
>>
>>52776114
what order did you take, what disciplines, how did it support your party comp both in combat and out of it?

did you or your party/dm feel it was over/underpowered and if so, was it addressed in any way?

and if you tried to make it 'optimized' what race and scores did you pick?
>>
>>52776112
Halfling Soul Knife. Rerolling 1's gives you a 1/400 chance of missing an attack at high levels.
>>
For the spell Web, how big do the anchors have to be?

For example, if there are two pillars that are 20ft tall and 20ft apart, is that enough to support the 20x20x20 web, or would that only support a 5x20x20 web? (Assuming the pillars take up a 5ft space)

I'm thinking of taking Misty Step and Web as my 3rd level Wizard spells and I'm trying to nail down all the best uses/functions of Web.
>>
>>52775230

>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/can-you-combine-spell-sniper-war-caster-and-polearm-master-with-booming-blade/

Better link.
>>
>>52776111
D&D is still just wargames lite. The roleplaying-enabling mechanics and non-combat encounter resolution mechanics are sparse at best. It would by no means be a terrible choice, but you'd probably find it hard to do that scenario justice with what 5e gives you out of the box. That said, if it's what people know, you may want to stick with D&D. If you want to experiment, I'd take a look at PbtA games, Dogs of the Vineyard, or anything that does combat stuff and social stuff equally well. Either way, sounds interesting. Good luck.
>>
File: marauder.png (38KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
marauder.png
38KB, 128x128px
>>52776066
Well it's kinda awkward. The "optimized" way to play EK is to go DEX + Mage Armor + Shield. They are mostly played as decent tanks with a bit of utility through cantrips/other spells/broken feats (PAM, Sentinel, etc.)

But... as a Strength, they're meh. You sure you wanna go for that?
What's the character concept ?
>>
>>52776174
Any reason that coating the floor wouldn't work? Flying enemies, sure, but until later levels you probably won't encounter many ranged-attack flying enemies.
>>
>>52776226
>But... as a Strength, they're meh
Plate Armour gives you the same AC of DEX+Mage Armour. The only thing gained by DEX is initiative and you lose the best damage feats.
>>
>>52776244
I mean yeah, if you get Plate Armour at start, they're comparable. I don't think that's the standard equipment for a lvl 3 character but I could see it.

What damage feat are you talking about?
>>
What does the game do really, really well?
>>
>>52776291
Convert people that are interested but don't wanna spend more than an hour making their character without knowing if the game's actually good.
>>
>>52776291
Makes playing without a magic item golf bag possible
>>
>>52776268
GWM and PAM both use Strength weapons.

Of course you won't have Plate at level 3 but the best AC from DEX+Mage Armour there is 16 and it doesn't match Plate until level 6 and only if you take no feats. You might as well go Strength based on an Eldritch Knight because the Spellslots to use Mage Armour are also limited.
>>
>>52776066
GWM+PAM like every other strength-based fighter.
>>
>>52773031
I hated that it felt like I was casting spells with my fighter when I used my abilities.
>>
>>52776291
Be playable out of the box, unlike 3.5 or 4e. (though both of those got some level of "fixed" by splats, their cores were both awful)
>>
>>52776066
Be variant human, wear heavy armour, take PAM, take GWM and be a fighter.
>>
Would it break the game to give Firbolgs, Orcs, and Goliaths +1 HP/level like Dorfs get?
>>
>>52776342
>>52776066
Actually, had a second thought on that - You could also try the other strength thing.

Rapier+shield, shield master, one level rogue dip for 1d6 sneak attack and expertise in athletics.
With this, you're using strength to shove people prone, though you're kinda fucked out of the point of war magic, though that doesn't matter as much between levels 11 and 16.
>>
>>52776383
Firbolgs are already enough of a meme, for the other two it'd be fine.
>>
>>52776324
Oh right. Hmm... I had never given EK much thoughts (i think it's pretty bleh all around, especially compared to arcane tricksters), and I read on here that DEX was better. Weird.

Thanks for the input!
>>
>>52776383
there's something i thoroughly dislike about huge meat sponges, and this game is already pretty fucking hp bloated as it it.
>>
Got a question. I'm just getting back into DnD since I stop playing years ago. I'm playing with the usual suspects at a local game shop and the quest we are played started us off at Lv4.

I wanted to go with a Rogue/Fighter that mostly uses two short swords with my bow for when the situation calls for it.

I started off as a Rogue (lots of skills) and choose the assassin archetype and I was going to move to a Champion Fighter.

Probably not the optimum but I didn't want to have to learn how to manage spells on the fly so I went with a purely martial character to warm up.

How should I level my character though? I am currently R3:F1 and I was thinking of going 3:3 to get the archetype then getting the two ASI at level 7-8. Would getting F5 for the extra attack then going R5-6 for evasion and expertise be a decent next step?
>>
>>52776550

Just reread what I typed on my phone. Sorry for the shitty grammar/spelling...
>>
Am I missing something or are there just 2 sorcerous origins in the PHB?
>>
>>52776354
This. Every fucking class felt the same. Did you wanted to cause a condition to an enemy? Well, son, you can be any fucking one, we got you covered. We're all the same now, with different hit dice.
>>
>>52776634
No you're correct.
>>
>>52775997
I've only played a Take 2 Mystic and it needed buffing. I don't think that's a concern for the most recent version.

I was an Awakened skillmonkey but I didn't take Mind Vault so as not to be a fucking cheeselord.
>>
Other then Mystic are there any characters who can be built around dealing Psychic damage? I was thinking GOOlock and asking to swap EB to Psychic Blasting
>>
>>52776719
Almost all Bard spells are either psychic or thunder.
>>
>>52776719
Loremaster Wizard
>>
Seems to me like the 5e weapon table is kind of fucked up.

For instance, why would I ever take darts over daggers?
Darts should at least be able to be pulled out as quickly as ammunition if they're ranged weapons.

Also, blowguns are martial weapons? For what purpose? Should they not be given the skulker feature as part of why you might want to use the weapon? "Missed ranged attacks made with this weapon while hidden do not reveal you." That seems like it could at least provide some use.

I can't think of any reason to ever use these other than flavor.
>>
How do I get the roll20 script working?

It's on. What does it do aside from add bind?
>>
>>52776550
>I started off as a Rogue (lots of skills) and choose the assassin archetype and I was going to move to a Champion Fighter.
Champion Fighter is the archetype for the person who wants as little thinking as possible. Battlemaster is basically better in every way.

Also, you get maneuvers to give yourself advantage and increase your opportunities to attack on other people's turns (you can only sneak attack once on a turn, opportunity attacks count as on a different turn)

>How should I level my character though? I am currently R3:F1 and I was thinking of going 3:3 to get the archetype then getting the two ASI at level 7-8. Would getting F5 for the extra attack then going R5-6 for evasion and expertise be a decent next step?

Level fighter to 5 for extra attack. Your end game should either be Fighter 5 / Rogue 15 or Rogue 15 / Fighter 5
>>
>>52776774
There's no reason to ever use this weapons. Even in fucking real life they would be useless 90% of the time.
And someone would say "poisoned darts". This is D&D. You can shrug off poison like a superhero. It is simply shit.
>>
>>52776550
Champions are boring and battlemaster compliments rogue abilities better (riposte and trip attack), Assassin is a bit of a noob trap but it's fine if you ever actually surprise something, because the basic rogue kit is good already.

The main appeal of dual wielding as a rogue is that it gives you a second chance if your sneak attack misses; this gets a bit worse if you can just attack twice from being fighter, because you'll just want to use your bonus action elsewhere.

You probably don't want more than 6 levels of fighter. Take that many only if you need it.
>>
File: 1455762905581.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1455762905581.gif
4MB, 500x281px
By mistake of giving my players an extremely easy set of rules on forcing an enemy into a bag of holding, one of my players how has an Erinyes trapped in his bag. If I made the Erinyes use her Devil Summoning ability to summon 1d6 Bone Devils, would it make sense for this to exceed the 500lb limit on the bag of holding and tear it open? Or does creating a portal to Hell within a Bag of Holding cause it to turn into one of those all consuming void portals?

Additionally, what kind of rules do you have for forcing an enemy into a Bag of Holding during combat?
>>
>>52776814
Exactly. I mean, if poison were even worthwhile (or even properly craftable) that would be one thing.

Perhaps a list of homebrew poisons and perhaps giving enemies disadv on saves against the poison if they're hit with a coated needled would make them worthwhile.

If you never feel like rolling you could take sharpshooter with it, though, I guess. 11 points of piercing + mod from 100 ft away. Not the worst thing, but really no real reason to do so.

And as far as darts go, I don't see why not letting them be used faster than drawing a dagger.

I guess these are just things I'm gonna homebrew for my own games but it seems really dumb they didn't even try to make them worth anything.
>>
>>52776550
5 levels of fighter, rest of the levels in rogue.
Accept no alternative.

Consider getting rogue to 5 first, but you should have started as a fighter for heavy armour proficiency and +1 HP, but then again you got +1 skill by starting rogue, so maybe then again it was better to start rogue.

Remember you can use your action surge to ready an action to attack off of your turn (On someone else's turn) in order to get an extra sneak attack, particularly worth it before you get extra attack.
>>
>>52776855
A bag of holding can be pierced from the inside fairly easily. No summoning needed.
>>
>>52776814
I could see it being a cool thing to do sneak attack with but then...
>martial weapon
Fucking why?
>>
>>52776550
It's worth getting to fighter 5 as soon as you can, by eighth level you'd be missing extra attack because of tougher enemies.
I'd probably go R3F1 to R3F5, then you still get two ASIs in a row (because of fighter 6) for R4F6, then decide whether you want to chase Extra Attack (2) or stick to sneak attack damage boosts (bearing in mind you only get your SA dice once per turn) and cool rogue ribbons. You probably won't get to 20, and if you do, gear will make up for lack of optimisation.
>>
>>52776872
They probably put them there to keep the weapon table "familiar".
>>
>>52776774
My Archer Battlemaster uses Darts instead of Daggers because they are a ranged weapon (for ArcheryFS and Sharpshooter.) +5/1d4+15 at 6th level. She uses them as hairpins.
>>
>>52776855
They'd have to grapple/restrain the creature and then make some sort of extra grapple-like attack to get them in, providing they fit through the opening, by how I'd rule it. They'd also need two hands free and be able to reach the top of the monster if it's humanoid in shape unless the bag opens wide enough to just take the whole body in, rather than taking it from top-down.
>>
>>52776774
Why would you ever take daggers over hand crossbows aside from 'you need a feat in order to be literally better at everything than daggers except concealability and availability'?
>>
>be forever DM
>players always multi-classing for meme builds
>know that they would be 10x stronger as full BM fighter or Wizard instead of monk/cleric/warlock or whatever the shit
>feel the powerful urge to play as a real fucking character doing non-retarded things in my own campaign
>can't, forever DM
>>
>>52776932
That's fair enough, I forgot that daggers can't get sharpshooter benefits. Right?
>>
Is it possible to have a PC Lich without people knowing?
>>
>>52776961
>want to focus on the main story and interesting places
>everyone else spends hours at a time talking about the dumbest fucking details (how something taste, player actions while nothing is happening, etc)
>me and dm just stare at each other while everyone else spends 3 hours trying to stela from each other

i really need to leave this fucking group
>>
>>52776980
You could set up a Clone spell and become a pseudo-Lich.
>>
>>52776980
Well that depends on how you're playing the Lich. Statblock, or high level wizard who's fluffed as a Lich?
>>
>>52776979
It's still bad and suboptimal. 1d4 is the shit dice. If your damage is based in d4s, you are bad at what you do.
>>
>>52777011
>evil NPC has a clone spell
>the clone wakes up on his own for some reason and becomes a PC

I'd let a player make a backround out of that
>>
>>52777011
>>52777015
Honestly haven't thought much into it. Was playing ESO and someone mentioned he wanted one of the polymorphs so his mage character could be RP'd as a Lich and that curiosity piqued my interest.

Does a Lich HAVE to be Evil by the fact alone that it is a Lich or could someone make a case for Neutral alignment?
>>
>>52776980
Revenant Necromancy Wizard with Magic Jar for good measure
>>
>>52777122
Considering liches (Lichi?) have to periodically feed souls to their phylactetries, I'd say yes.
>>
>>52777122
It has to be evil.

Liches can only become Liches by preforming some form of incredibly unholy and inhumane act to fuel their ascension. Not to mention killing to fuel their phylactery.
>>
>>52777122
Liches have to be Evil

There are other ways to be undead PCs without being Evil, though. Like a revenant
>>
>>52776855
>Settlers of Catan
I immediately forgive him for his fat rage.
>>
>>52777122
Liches have to be Evil. That said, I've played very sociable liches that have acted as """allies""" with the PCs.

Lawful Evil in particular can come with a certain charisma and flair that makes them almost lovable, if it weren't for the fact that their souls are blackened and their tastes bordering grotesque.
>>
>>52777035
Sure but my question was dagger vs dart, not everything else.

If we're talking most optimal, then sure, we'd definitely go with a bow or a crossbow.
>>
>>52777183
>>52777157
>>52777148
>>52777144
*cough* baelnorns *cough*
>>
>>52777122
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Archlich

Granted an Archlich is far above the power of any PC. You could handwave it as being an incomplete transformation or something.
>>
>>52777203
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Baelnorn_lich
>>
I'm going to beat down my players in our next session tonight.

Yep. Going to bring in the CR 14+ meanies and smack them down for their hubris.
Force them to withdraw and lick their wounds, regroup.
>>
>>52777235
>Force them to withdraw and lick their wounds, regroup.
You mean "TPK"?
PCs almost never understand the concept of retreat.
>>
>>52777162
Isn't it all an act anyway? I remember seeing a video where its just him in a surprisingly normal voice just talking about his history.
>>
>>52777248
I was so glad I actually sat my players down with a session zero and talked to them about d&d and roleplaying so we were all on the same page.

They actually treat their character's like they have mortal lives. It's great.
>>
>>52777248
I'm used to the whole "escalate situation until DM chickens out and gives us a way out" strategy of ass players.
Going to have them lose their wealth, blow up their warpcore, steal their magic items, and rape their sister. But not kill them.
>>
>>52777211
Huh, I wonder what article that info came fr-

>Some of the oldest of baelnorn seem little more than the hint of body, hair, and skin around their skeletons. Unlike common liches, whose flesh and organs eventually rot to the point that are are completely gone, this is the extent of their degeneration.
>>
>>52777303
I drop them dead like flies, just like Gygax wanted. I regret nothing.
>>
>>52777281
part of it is an act, but not everything. in the end he is a nice guy with a bunch of problems trying to make the best out of his condition. boogie2988 is his name.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>52777401
>guy with a bunch of problems trying to make the best out of his condition
Yeah a fat piece of shit who can't stop eating and demands everyone else pay for his healthcare as a result.
>>
File: 379.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
379.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>play a cleric that's a mix between an undertaker and a medic, basically the idea of respecting and caring for the dead, but trying to make sure that the ones who are still alive remain as such.
>LN, LG leaning
>we're transporting a load of soldiers that had contracted some sort of magical disease, that after an incubation period turned them into twisted demons
>the journey is several days, after a few days someone is starting to turn, i, trying to keep care for the soldiers the best i can do everything i can to slow the transformation
>he still turns, he attacks us, we knock him out and tie him up
>he burns through the rope, almost attacks the other soldiers around him, we kill him this time
>few days later, another soldier starts turning, we try our best to halt the turning, he still turns, we outright kill him this time.
now, the DM directly described how vile and painful the "turning" was for the victim, along with implications of losing ones "soul"
>next day, a third person starts turning, once again nothing works to slow it down, and we're still days away from the help we seek
>when he's really close to turning, i sit down with the gibberish speaking, twitching mess and try to talk with the little man left inside, asking him to "picture the rabbits" pretty much, while having the groups rogue get up behind him and end him swiftly, with as little pain as possible

>DM goes "alright, just so you know, that's an act of outright evil, and if you keep doing that shit, not only will your alignment shift, but it's very possible that your god will abandon you"
>>
File: 1427291571286.gif (3MB, 320x291px) Image search: [Google]
1427291571286.gif
3MB, 320x291px
What are the objective limits of stealth?

By that I mean, a character who has a +15 to stealth who wants to have a constant stealth roll in every room/corridor.

If this number isn't beaten by a creatures passive perception or even active are they functionally invisible? Or is it limited to feasibility such as actual dim areas or having to hide behind something.

Furthermore if this same character wants to take a hide action in combat, does that mean he could now surprise enemies? Or do they objectively always know roughly where he is?

I've been dealing with high stealth characters for ages and never had concrete answers.
>>
>>52777328
there's nothing wrong with this.

I only ever fudge dice if I suspect that I've fucked up as the DM. But even then I would only ever fudge once in a session.

I don't mind PC death, but it's never the goal. Goal is always fun. Failure can be pretty fun too though. I think a lot of people don't realize that.
>>
What is the pathfinder catgirl equivalent of D&D?
>>
>>52777506
Your DM is not good.
>>
>>52777510
>Or is it limited to feasibility
Yes

When appropiate you can just make him roll at disadvantage
>>
>>52777510
A DM can always decide whether or not conditions are suitable for hiding.

A PC can't just roll up and say "Hey I want to hide right in front of this guy."

They need something obscuring them. Doesn't mean they have to be unseen, however.

If they did get a successful stealth, they would be able to then get advantage as per unseen attacker if during combat. Wouldn't give him "surprise" in the sense that beginning of combat might have surprised characters.
>>
>All three new players, having never spoken to each other and making their characters independently, coke to the table with CN gnomes

Oh boy I'm ready to hate this campaign already!
>>
>>52777510
You can only hide outside of concealment if you are invisible or have a class feature which allows it.
>>
Bit of a rules issue in a game tonight regarding mounted riders and PHB Horde Breaker.
If the Ranger is targeting riders on horses, which count as large creatures, with horde Breaker but the horses are right next to each other, should it count to target the riders?
>>
File: lich.jpg (63KB, 502x405px) Image search: [Google]
lich.jpg
63KB, 502x405px
>>52777122
>>52777148
>>52777157
>Have to be evil
>Renwick the neutral Lich who gives magic items to good aligned Paladins in Princes of the Apocalypse
>>
File: d1e5afda8798a04f91e3a49e703a723c.jpg (737KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
d1e5afda8798a04f91e3a49e703a723c.jpg
737KB, 1080x1080px
>>52777506
What sense does that make?
>>
>>52777608
Why not?
Even if not RAW, or necessarily RAI, what is more fun?
>>
>>52777595
>>52777579
Really makes you wonder what the point of 'Hide' as a cunning action is for Rogues.
>>
>>52777510
For "unseen" levels of stealth, there needs to be something that can let the character be partially obscured. This can be stuff like darkness, light foliage, invisibility, cover, etc. If he moves out into plain sight, he loses stealth. If they have nothing to be stealthy with, then it's impossible to stealth, and thus there's no need to roll.

Read these sections over and over again: The hide action in battles chapter, the stealth ability check in ability scores chapter, the environment stuff involving obscurity and light. etc.
>>
>>52777648
For running into the underbrush and hiding.
>>
>>52777648
>Shoot your bow
>Bonus action hide near cover
>>
>>52777648
What do you mean?
There's often places to hide in combat. Is there a pillar between you and your attacker? Hide behind it.
Are there some bushes and you're a wood elf? Hide in that shit. Etc.

It's a bonus action that might set you up for advantage on your next attack.
>>
>>52776774
You should've been able to add as many features as you want but each decreases damage and some can't be on one at the same time (Two-handed and Finesse are mutually exclusive).

Then pick a damage type and refulff the weapon as whatever you want.

It would've allowed more customisation and made no weapon choice complete shit.
>>
>>52777619
a "lichdom potion" ?

what.
>>
So can Mage Hand touch people or object only? Can I have my Mage Hand poke someone? Can I have my Mage Hand pick up a brush and brush someone's hair?
>>
>>52777697
Hmm. I kinda like this idea.
Might workshop this later.
>>
File: 1491100922081.jpg (328KB, 683x935px) Image search: [Google]
1491100922081.jpg
328KB, 683x935px
>>52777657
>>52777595
>>52777579
>>52777680
Ok what about this scenario.

>Low wall or outcroppings
>Poke head out shoot bow get sneak attack because unseen attacker so advantage
>Hide as cunning action at end of turn
>Repeat forever gaining sneak attack each shot
>If the DM says the enemies can't be surprised by a shot from the same area just move 10ft away to the next wall
>>
what supplement are you guys hoping for? Planescape for me
>>
>>52777619

see

>>52777211
>>52777211
>>52777203
>>
>>52777737
You can absolutely do that.
Fuck. Rogue is supposed to be getting sneak attack as much as possible. They're kind of based around that idea.

There's no reason why they should be able to not be "surprised" by the attack even if it comes from the same place. Imagine hiding behind a wall in a gunfight. Do you know when the guy is gonna suddenly pop his head up and attack?

inb4 every 6 seconds
>>
>>52777619
He seens like a good fellow, except the fact that a fucking Lich needs to feed a living person to its philactery every now and then, otherwise he crumbles, and might die or become a shitty mindless and suboptimal demilich. It's kind written on the goddamn Lich description text.
>>
File: 1492281955248.jpg (193KB, 1000x756px) Image search: [Google]
1492281955248.jpg
193KB, 1000x756px
>>52777758
>Forgottenrealms.wikia
>5e
>>
>>52777122
dependsonthesetting
>>
>>52777629
he mentioned "killing an innocent without consent is murder" and would not allow us to defend our actions

>>52777567
yeah, i know, he had us be led by a DMPC through a cave that was spewing imps (that was the reason for the soldiers getting sick) into a room, where we fought pretty much cannonfodder while the DMPC was fighting "a huge demon, he beacons you to stay clear of his way, and instead protect his flank from the imps" before the combat suddenly ends with a "powerful devil" poofing out, the DMPC making a deal with the devil to allow the party safe return out of the cave, in exchange for his soul. before all of this, he had us watch a party of "powerful and high ranking adventurers" taking on another demon beast etc, etc

but for now, it's the only irl game i can get without having to DM myself, and after having an over half year long campaign go to shit, im pretty fucking burnt out.
>>
>>52777122
Using 5e's alignment rather than a setting-specific objective alignment, a lich can actually be neutral. Following the 'they must kill innocents' rule you'd have to do crazy shit like only killing those who want to die to be good, but if you're neutral you could justify it by the fact that while you sometimes have to be selfish in killing others the ultimate goal is so that you can live longer to help others, and thus it's around about neutral.
>>
how do I play a paladin, have fun and not piss off my party all at the same time?
>>
>>52777211
>We wanted good liches so we literally just make a lich except they sustain themself through magic instead of souls because lol the evil liches are only doing it out of edginess, fuck them. Also let's call them 'arch'liches because that makes them sound better.
>>
File: Commerce Paladin.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Commerce Paladin.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52777869
Paladin of Commerce.
>>
>>52777822
Well, killing an innocent without consent IS murder. However, you clearly were killing the guy based on mercy to save him from a horrifying and painful demise (the Euthanasia conundrum).
As a LN character, you are clearly the most apt person on the entire group to adjudicate this decision.
Plus, the DM said that the soul of the victim is lost forever, so by killing the guy before he turns, you clearly are sparing him from this fate, which should be the ultimate goal of any cleric, specially one with a caretaker/medic mindset. This is triage 101, and you're doing it like a champion.
Your DM is wrong. You cannot fall from grace in this matter.
>>
>have advantage on stealth roll
>+10 due to monk in party
>roll snake eyes
>>
>>52777510
Other party members can fuck up his stealth.
He cannot hide in plain sight unless he is invisible or something, in which case he is not hiding in plain sight.
He has to take an action (or sometimes bonus action) to use the hide action in the first place.

You cannot surprise an enemy that is in combat.

And, again, the moment you walk anywhere in an enemy's 360 degrees line of sight, you are immediately no longer hidden, though the DM is encouraged to allow exceptions to this as they see fit.
>>
Is Psionic Surge worth it?
As I'm reading it it gives one (1) target disadvantage against one (1) discipline's effect, at the cost of your focus until you get a short or long rest.

I guess it's great if you just want to incapacitate that one big target and hope it ends the combat on the spot, and nothing else follows, because your focus does so much fucking shit for you, stuff that could potentially be much useful on the long run.

Also what is supposed to the be purpose of Psionic Mastery and to some extend Consumptive Power? Simply give you more Psi Points per long rest?

At first I'd thought that everything out of Psionic Mastery went out instantly and at once, making it a sort of nuke but now that I read it, it's pretty much just an action to get more point that don't mix with the rest of your point, right?
>>
>>52777619
Well, there are always exceptions to the rule. Even Beholders or Mindflayers can draw Balance in the Deck of Many Things and become Lawful/Chaotic Good. But outside incredibly unusual circumstances it is impossible to willingly become a lich without being evil. In the case of this guy he was fed a potion while bleeding out.
>>
>>52777869
Play a paladin of the ancients, you exist to glory in life and fight back the dark. Chaotic good all day everyday, they don't care about the rogue breaking the law as much as devotion or vengeance do.
>>
>>52777768
>AllEnemiesHaveConstant360DegreeAwareness.bat
>>
>>52763083
It seems like no one ever calls this out, but errata says all characters are proficient with unarmed strikes and they are no longer simple weapons.
>>
>>52777912
I'm surprised this isn't called the oath of shekels
>>
>>52777506
Your DM is running objective alignment, which doesn't make sense but can punish you for being nice and reward you for being a dick but also sometimes reward you for being nice and sometimes punish you for being a dick, as opposed to just a casual 5e 'nobody gives a fuck' alignment.
>>
>>52774671
No, the player is just no longer subject to its negative effects.
>>
>>52777822
But he's turning into something far worse and isn't his soul fucked if that happens? That's literally a fate worse than death.
>>
>>52777973
It would, but it's actually decent, and as such gets a real name.
>>
File: spat.png (19KB, 823x225px) Image search: [Google]
spat.png
19KB, 823x225px
Why do women have such terrible spatial reasoning? Maybe I'm just bad at explaining things but the guys seem to always understand the scenario I'm trying to describe. Then the resident grill power xD spouts off some bullshit that makes no sense.
>>
>>52777989
>Burning a metal lock
Why didn't she just burn down the door? At least it might have been wood.
>>
File: gator1n-1-web.jpg (41KB, 750x419px) Image search: [Google]
gator1n-1-web.jpg
41KB, 750x419px
Hey 5eg I'm planning on a campaign where the party takes a river boat down into a bayou to search for a lost city. What are some movies I can watch to get myself into that deep south/voodoo mode.

Also what creatures would you expect to see on this kind of journey?
>>
>>52777989
Holy fuck. Lol

If it makes you feel better the girl I DM for is also the worst player. But english also isn't her first language so I give her a pass.
>>
>>52777989
Sacred Flame can't target objects.
>>
>>52777989
>I use Sacred Flame and burn the lock off the door!
>*rolling a save for the lock*
>You missed, the lock avoids your sacred flame and bite you, you're not glued to it. It's a mimic. Roll initiative.
>>
>>52778032
>>52778016
That and sacred flame isn't literally flames, it just resembles flames. It does radiant damage, which shouldn't affect locks
>>
>>52777822
It's possible to do 'there's a bunch of more powerful adventurers fighting something more powerful' if you do it right.

It's rarely right to do it the way they showed there.

Really, the best way is if it leaves the enemy weakened and, say, one of the party members can actually help them. For example, somebody might notice that the demon has something extra they didn't expect and he can call that out, or there's a trap they were too busy to notice they could turn on the demon, or they try to distract the demon and run, or they're defeated but the demon is almost down, and they try to surprise and ambush the almost-down demon and it's forced back into the abyss, vowing to come back after them specifically in revenge.

>>52777989
I hear they're better for the roleplaying, and honestly I could expect them to have some creative ideas but I wouldn't expect them to have good mechanical ideas.

Honestly your best bet in that situation is to as soon as possible start drawing a rough depiction of the cave instead of just saying 'no, no, no, you can't' and letting them see 'Oh, right, I'm an idiot'.
>>
>>52777989
Hey reddit, I just saw that thread too.
>>
>>52778018
It's set in a jungle, but check out road to el dorado for south american waifus and a story of a lost city.
Why not also watch Deliverance, the "paddle faster, I hear banjos" film.
>>
>>52777989
Women are good at complaining and gossip not reasoning
>>
>>52778018
>What kinds of creatures to show up
Alligators, water snakes, big spiders, blacks, vicious otters, rust monster flavored as a beaver
>>
>>52778018

Giant bugs and amphibians, hydras, things with poison or acid breath, and annoying plant monsters.

Rescuers down under, Tiny Toon Adventures How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Deliverance, Gator, and that show about hunting boars in louisiana. Maybe that disney movie.
>>
>>52778126
>Tiny Toon Adventures How I Spent My Summer Vacation
>>
>>52778018
Oh, also not sure if you ever watched The Last Airbender cartoon, but there's a pretty sweet part where they're in a swamp with water benders that bend the water in plants.

You might want to try and find the episode, or I could if you're interested. I love that show.
>>
>>52778121
>blacks
Somehow not the first thing I think of when I imagine the swamps of Louisiana. Inbred hicks, sure. But I don't remember the last movie I watched with swampy black dudes as swamp villians.
>>
> Party has Gnome land druid and Elf wild sorcerer

Should I decrease my power level to match them or increase my power level to carry the party through the campaign?
>>
>>52778018
Add some black dragonborn that play the banjo in the bayou.
It's a character i've always wanted to play.
>>
>tfw no Manual of the Planes
>no Planar Handbook
>no Planescape Campaign Setting

next supp will be some shitty adventure instead of real content
>>
>>52778175
Lower your level and have fun being challenged."
>>
So what's going on in Calimshan right now? Best I can tell, a bunch of genies and genasi ran amuck a while ago and started enslaving humans? Would human or non-genasi be allowed to roam freely, specifically in Calimport?
>>
>>52773516
That's literally what someone did on the Dungeon Master's Guild.
>>
File: binomdist.png (50KB, 901x373px) Image search: [Google]
binomdist.png
50KB, 901x373px
>>52778075
Yeah that's the thing about calling people reddit, you can't do it without outing yourself as well.
It's okay to go to specific topic based subreddits once or twice every few days because the best stuff with float to the top and remain there for you to check out. Usually there's immediately something interesting to see, but the same things remain for 2 or 3 days and it gets boring fast.
4chan remains interesting longer because you get to see everything and it's much more fast paced, but it takes a lot of sifting through shit to eventually find a diamond. I definitely spend more time here than on /r/dnd though.
>>
>>52778303
No need to sperg out, faggot
>>
>>52777975
i would not mind that, if he would not have forced us into a moral dilemma with no real "objectively good" solution
>>
>>52778342
And yet you could have just ignored me. ty 4 the u fag :^)
(polite sage)
>>
>>52778303
That's the Reddit/4chan difference.

Although that community is fucking trash, let me tell you. If I ever want to see a bunch of rich college kids posting their commissioned characters, showing off their gamerooms and whining about how sometimes players aren't nice for internet points, I know where to go.

The undead site thing is cool, though.
>>
>>52778368
At least we have a meth addict that posts vocaroos. Suck it, rich kids.
>>
>4th Level Awakened

>Mind Thrust
>Mind Slam/Blind Spot/Delusion?

>Psychic Assault
>Telepathic Contact/Precognition

>Mastery of Force/Mantle of Command?
>Nomadic Chameleon/Nomadic Mind?

What else would be good for a mostly blastery/mindfuckery psionicist?

Preferably no of the elemental masteries as they don't really fit the theme, but after psychic assault and maybe inquisition, not much else offers much to it.
>>
>>52778175
Sounds like the perfect occasion to play something average mechanically but with a strong personality.

Hell, I'd go with Lizardfolk Assassin.

But be sure to be clear with the DM that this is indeed a fun game. Otherwise you guys might get absolutely blasted if the DM decides that every encounter must be a deadly combat.
>>
>>52778416
>Lizardfolk Assassin

I played one in Hackmaster once. Good times.
>>
>>52778175
Don't forget to talk with your DM about the common "fix" for Wild Surge.

Everytime the sorcerer casts a spell of at least 1st level, roll a d10. On a 0, the sorcerer rolls on the Wild Surge table. On any other roll, nothing happens - but the next spell of at least 1st level will now trigger a Wild Surge on a 0 and a 1.
Etc.

Otherwise you almost never get to roll on that stupid table, and where's the fun in that.
>>
>>52778353
Well, the 'objectively' good thing is to wait until they turn and then kill them. Which is horrible and unless you had rules that you strictly followed it would be something only someone who enjoys the suffering of others and wishes damnation upon all others would do, but it'd leave you as a 'good' person because you're not killing innocents. Though in personality alignment we call this 'are you lawful or chaotic' where chaotic would be to defy the 'don't kill innocents' convention in order for a better ending.

But, yes, it is kind of stupid that things are in that state. At the very least there should be some notion of 'Finally, one of the things you tried seems to work, but it's not quite effective enough, you have to keep going' which later turns out to be something the people in the city can use to cure them at your recommendation (Say, if it were holy water and a purging ritual, you might find holy water staves off the progress for a bit but doesn't actually drive the problem out of the body. Though there could be other means of driving it out).
... And honestly it feels like some lame demon-zombie rip-off thing.
>>
>>52778416
It's CoS. Not sure how deadly it is but /5eg/ said Strahd is a pushover.
>>
>>52778068

Always have a map. If you're gonna do Theater of the Mind, why not take the extra step and play Rules of the Mind too? Skip the 90+ dollars worth of rulebooks.
>>
>>52778266
This is the best thing to do always.
>>
>>52777869
Proficiency in Performance. Lead the party in hymns. When they misbehave make them listen to sermons about it during the next short or long rest. Make them fear misbehaving lest they be subject to church shit. Bribe the bard to accompany your sermons on a huge organ built into an Iron Golem, or a harp.
>>
>>52778453
>implying the wild magic fix isn't using the real list
http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf
Just make all of the effects 1 round, the instadeath effects into unconsciousness, and turn the "supernova" effect into destroying a God's stars.
>>
>>52778368
>undead site thing
huh
>>
>>52778459
/5eg/ says a lot of things.

Curse of Strahd can get pretty hard, and a Strahd played by an unscrupulous/harsh DM is terrifying.

Eh, you'll see I guess.
>>
>>52777700
The final step to become a lich, the special poison that always kills you but sometimes brings you back.
>>
>>52778494
http://undead.live/

People put characters there, and you can use them as special undead in your campaign.

Or, as I'm going to use it, ideas for regular NPCs. Which I guess is reviving them in your own campaigns anyways.
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91KB, 662x660px) Image search: [Google]
14659832.jpg
91KB, 662x660px
>>52778303
>/r/dnd

Literally shit tier, rate my art, how cool is my character, women shouldn't wear chainmail bikini armour kotaku.

/r/dndnext is the real place to be. it's still full of faggots
>>
>>52778559
you guys would be OK with rating my art though, right?
>>
>>52778595
only if you tell me how cool and original my character is
>>
File: IMG_0956.jpg (88KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0956.jpg
88KB, 271x400px
ANy characters that defy stereotypes in your parties /5eg/?
>>
File: art of the duel.jpg (147KB, 609x1000px) Image search: [Google]
art of the duel.jpg
147KB, 609x1000px
>>52778559
The worst is that those faggots think anyone actually cares about their universe/character. They'll give five paragraphs of backstory and then ask "Does this sound good?" Nigger I don't give a shit figure it out yourself.
>>
>>52777938
does this mean I have to like elves
>>52778481
I feel like this will piss off the party
>>
>>52778595
Only if you post the stats for your character so we can fix them, too.
>>
>>52778622
only if the character wasn't blatantly benefiting from the patriarchy
>>
How do I play a character who disguises as a woman 75% of the time without going into Magical Realm?

I'm not trolling this is a serious thing that's come up.
>>
>>52778623
The half-orc can read and shit.
>>
Should players be allowed to level up mid adventure?
I've been thinking about only letting them do it once they have enough xp and visit a temple (greek campaign, gods are super influential and temples contain sacred flames of Olympus)
>>
>>52778634

I like reading cool bios but no one knows what one looks like. Most of your favorite characters from fiction can be summed up in a single paragraph.
>>
File: really.jpg (41KB, 719x541px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
41KB, 719x541px
>>52778667
>this is a serious thing that's come up
>my guy needs to pretend to be a girl 75% of the time
son you'd tell me if you were queer right
>>
>>52778677
Yes, why not?
I mean, it's up to you. Some people prefer to only let their players level after a downtime. But there's nothing that difficult about allowing it.
>>
>>52773166
Huh, interesting. That's a good bunch of points. I liked the automatic weapon finesse on almost everything for Rogues, with the option of adding Str ON TOP of that to play a bandit type.

But I never got past chargen.
>>
>>52778667
By explaining why you have to do it in character.
Which means telling us why you have to do it you stupid nigger.
>>
>>52778668
at the same time?
truly a paragon of the species.
>>
>>52778667
Drow or someone from an amazonness tribe or someone trying to hide their identity (Exiled noble, wanted) or a double-personality type that tries to charm people and extortionate them...

Basically, first and foremost, have a fucking reason why it's happening in the first place, and some way that isn't magical realm. Amazonesses for example sound a bit magical realmey. Drow females are a thing, so that makes sense, but you have to be a fucking drow for that.

You could just play an elf and do it without trying.
>>
File: 72542.jpg (27KB, 471x312px) Image search: [Google]
72542.jpg
27KB, 471x312px
>>52778667
like this
https://youtu.be/ATRyzeQZwxA
>>
>>52778635
You can feel however you like about elves. You can feel free to hate drow, because 99% of drow are dickbags.
>>
>>52778623
Druid who's the traditional un-druidy Druid. He's a strong survive, weak don't type of guy. Lawful Evil but borderline Lawful Neutral and he's rather cold to the party, he's starting to become more friendly with us though.

>>52778692
>>52778702
>>52778712
We've decided to finally try and buckle down and commit to a game going to level 20. We each made 4 suggestions for character ideas, put them in a pile and got one randomly.

The one I got is a Male Favored Soul who disguises as a Nun.

I'm not really sure what to do with that but I feel like it could be interesting.
>>
>>52778746
that sounds a lot like my Druid. Is it a dwarf
>>
>>52778746
>stuck with someonelses character
>it's a fucking meme tranny at that
yeah good luck getting past level 5
>>
File: 1336009817824.jpg (38KB, 528x440px) Image search: [Google]
1336009817824.jpg
38KB, 528x440px
>>52778746

>We've decided to finally try and buckle down and commit to a game going to level 20. We each made 4 suggestions for character ideas, put them in a pile and got one randomly.

"We're definitely going to get to level 20 this time boys. And the way we're gonna do it is by playing character ideas we didn't come up with and will probably be bored of after 3 sessions."
>>
>>52778746
>The one I got is a Male Favored Soul who disguises as a Nun.
One of your friends needs to chill on his magical realm. At least he's old fashioned about it.
>>
>>52778237
Mearls confirmed that we will be getting stats for all of the archdevils eventually. As WotC have already done the whole "fiends invade, they gotta go back," thing, it can be assumed that there will be a planar handbook. Maybe not within the next year, but it'll come eventually.
>>
>>52778783
>getting bored of your characters

Do you have ADD or something you autist
>>
>>52778736
Yeah, I feel like this is a good idea. Basically goes around disguised so he can ambush people easier.

>>52778781
>>52778783
Eh, I personally think it's an interesting one and don't mind it.

>>52778787
The weird part is I know for a fact none of them are into males or traps. I also know it sure as hell wasn't be inserting my fetish in.

I prefer my boys in nun outfits to be forced.
>>
File: summonspirit8765.jpg (66KB, 600x468px) Image search: [Google]
summonspirit8765.jpg
66KB, 600x468px
>>52773004
I've never paid much attention to that but I guess maybe what everybody basically defines as druid archetype but with spiritual allies instead of their physical counterparts. I mean, the totens and spirits of divinized animals instead of actual beasts. Maybe even ancient fey entities with strong bonds with nature.

Also, shamans probably prefer natural drugs, exercise, music and dance, or simple meditation as a focus to reach an ecstatic state of consciousness necessary to pierce the boundary separating the Spirit and Material World and perform their dream journeys, while druids much prefer sex, blood spilling and other "physical" means of god-channelling.
>>
>>52778800
the whole point is they aren't your characters numbnuts. much less attachment involved, and the group clearly already has problems seeing a campaign through.
>>
>>52778787
https://youtu.be/ATRyzeQZwxA?t=25
>implying
>>
>>52778746
So you disguise yourself as an Egyptian god of water?

I guess it's like being a Marraenoloth, only good aligned.
>>
>>52778827
why did you post this twice?
>>
>>52773004
Old windfury
>>
>>52776980
...alter self
>>
>>52778825
Actually the main issue with our last one is we all died at level 14. In a way that left 3 out of 5 members of the party unable to be revived.

We've gotten to level cap only once in 4e.
>>
>>52778787
Well go full magical realm.

Maybe the goddess you serve only takes women as priestesses, and so as she's favoured you with her power, you have to do so as well.

It makes your character very uncomfortable, but if they don't dress like that, they don't get the goddess' favour.
>>
File: cavendish.gif (295KB, 910x568px) Image search: [Google]
cavendish.gif
295KB, 910x568px
>tfw your players actually try and play to their characters' backstory
>tfw your players write into their backstory that they're either ashamed of their magical past or don't like combat
So my warlock refuses to cast spells and my rogue won't do anything but fire arrows from max distance. I appreciate their dedication to the characters but they're intentionally gimping themselves. I'm trying to think of some ways the characters can overcome their jaded pasts and becoming fucking functioning members of the party.
>>
File: reiwhat.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
reiwhat.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>52778846
>what the fuck is this anon talking about, did he link the wrong post
>ctrl+f the url
Welp.
Would you believe this is a weeb board and a lot of people here have seen HnK?
>>
>>52778736
this scene is so fucking surreal and the voice acting is not helping. i should watch this show...
>>
>>52778925
You can try telling them that, verbatim.
>>
>>52778909
I was thinking an adherent to a trickster god that placed you into a nunnery for another god at a young age to infiltrate. Like how cuckoos lay their eggs in other birds' nests so their young get raised by others.
>>
>>52776882
You cant ready action surge but you can attack in it and ready your normal action
>>
>>52778925
With the Warlock, assuming their patron isn't exactly welcoming, have them approve of the PCs actions.
>"Oh, you're not even using the powers? Your soul will be mine so much quicker."
And then whenever they take damage, they hear their patron's laughter, they feel their mocking hunger, and when they finally give in and use their powers to survive, they feel their frustration.
>"So close... well, there's always next time."
>>
>>52778925
>give my character a background of the old kung fu master who smacks every idiot over the head to help them reach enlightenment
>we wind up playing SKT and every NPC we encounter is Lord Important of House Hasalottaguards or a giant
My bonds/ideals/flaws haven't come up yet. Having a troublesome propensity for violence is one thing, but assaulting merchant-princes and regular-princes is another.
>>
>>52778925
Have a situation where the warlock has to cast a spell or the party dies. Have the rogue be surrounded by 8 dudes that he could easily kill if he used melee.
>>
>>52778932
there's like maybe 3 people on 4chan that watch anime
>>
>>52778989
>there's like maybe 3 people on 4chan
Corrected the record for you.
>>
>>52778667
First pick a reason why your character needs to crossdress. Are they a noble that's gone into hiding? Is it a clan thing or even overprotective parents that are still afraid of changlings stealing him away? Does your character just want to feel pretty? Is he cursed to have all male clothing he wears fall apart, or even a requirement of his particular faith?

The second thing is to decide how they feel about their crossdressing. Are they embarrassed? Proud? neutral? Really just make a table of emotions and roll a die, any emotion works.

That should really be all you need to get your character going. Everything else will depend on how your game unfolds probably.
>>
>>52779014
No, I'm here too, I just don't post
>>
>>52779014
CTR shill please go
>>
File: 4d1.jpg (652KB, 1074x1650px) Image search: [Google]
4d1.jpg
652KB, 1074x1650px
>>52778909
>Maybe the goddess you serve only takes women as priestesses, and so as she's favoured you with her power, you have to do so as well
>>
>>52778819

>Eh, I personally think it's an interesting one and don't mind it.

And if all four people think the same, its fine. But if two of you are stuck with shitty characters--or good characters you simply don't want to play...
>>
File: hnklick.gif (619KB, 479x353px) Image search: [Google]
hnklick.gif
619KB, 479x353px
>>52778951
You are not prepared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3dUsE2R6k
>>
>>52779054
>not crushing your own balls and castrating yourself so you can learn the ultimate martial arts technique requiring the perfect balance of yin and yang energies
>>
>>52779014
wait so it's me, you and that other guy? the fuck do you two talk about when I sleep?
>>
>>52778634
A guy in my current campaign brought a 5 page essay of his character backstory.
>>
>>52779078
God, Toki is fucking badass.
>>
File: elf53i.jpg (83KB, 468x750px) Image search: [Google]
elf53i.jpg
83KB, 468x750px
>>52778737
What about Eilistraee's followers?
>>
>>52779114

What. Why would you do this.
>>
>>52779115
Traps, mostly.
>>
There's a kid I work with that's literally a Kenku, and the reason I hate that meme bird.
>>
>>52779146
kek, get a load of this guy's technique
>>
>>52779138
They're the 1% man. Along other random good drow i guess.
>>
>>52779114
>Not being a warlock who makes a pact with the collective unconsciousness, and realising that the male/female duality is a fiction, and that you can change between them as easily as you change your clothes.
>>
>>52779161
the Dungeon kind?
>>
>>52778746
Probably best think about why they'd disguise like that. Perhaps they were originally worried about a relative who was in a nunnery, getting in in order to protect them from whatever it was, such as thinking there was some unholy item or being stalking the place.

Or, I don't know, just do whatever the fuck bridget did.
>>
Where can I find a good amount of greek/roman sounding names that aren't stupid, obvious or impossible to remember?
>>
So does Dragon Sorcerer basically revolve around Twinning and Quickening Cantrips for damage?
>>
>>52778975
Action surge lets you take any action. This isn't haste.
Though, yes, you can't ready action surge, but you can ready the action you gain from action surge.
>>
File: 52044641_p0_master1200.jpg (582KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
52044641_p0_master1200.jpg
582KB, 850x1200px
>>52779182
sure.
>>
>>52779168
Well yeah, he still has his balls.
>>
>>52779186
a history book
>>52779189
also abusing your resistance. Taking that one feat that boosts a certain element is also pretty killer. I had more fun with a bronze stormcleric as far as thematic casting goes though.
>>
>>52779182
If you keep yours in one, that's your business.
>>
>>52779208
>>52779199
all traps belong in dungeons. You can't just leave them out and about where any random village could stumple upon them. That's negligent, people could get hurt.
>>
File: Names.png (3MB, 2382x1710px) Image search: [Google]
Names.png
3MB, 2382x1710px
>>52779186
>>
>>52779204
Awesome. I'm using Spellpoints combined with Sorcery Points and it seems like spaming Firebolt at level 6 for between 2d10+4 to 6d10+12 damage is the best combat option.
>>
File: 1466754642414.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
1466754642414.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
>This fucking thread
>Quickly devolving into pfg tier faggotry
>>
>>52779201
and too much drag, his forward thrusts are practically telegraphed! amazing he hasn't found himself stabbed with a pointy end by now.
>>
>>52779271
post lewd anime girls
>>
>>52779271
I sort of feel bad for bringing up my crossdressing Favored Soul.

I fucked up.
>>
>>52779189
That's pretty much how most Sorcerer classes work.

>>52779204
Speaking of, is it possible to turn "off" Elemental Adept in case you need to blast yourself with your favored element?
>>
File: dongfangbubai.jpg (135KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
dongfangbubai.jpg
135KB, 1024x683px
>>52779146
It was just explained to you. To learn the ultimate martial arts techniques described in the Sunflower Manual, written by a eunuch and requiring a perfect balance of yin and yang energies. Women can never learn the techniques, as they are born purely of the yin. Humans all begin life as biological women and gain male traits due to increased testosterone production, so they possess both yin and yang, but they are imbalanced; the male organs must be crushed to allow the energies to reach harmonious equilibrium and allow one to reach the level of enlightenment necessary to master the deadly arts of the Sunflower Manual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VryR3m4eQm0
>>
File: susumu_yamazaki.jpg (26KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
susumu_yamazaki.jpg
26KB, 467x350px
>>52778951
Watch Peacemaker Kurogane.

The ninja Susumu Yamazaki does a really good job at crossdressing to gather information and assassinate his coalition's enemies. From perfect acting, dressing and make-up to voice and bone adjustment, the two people in the pic are the same.
>>
>>52779114
>>52779176

/pfg/ pls go
>>
>>52779304
>dongfangbubai
>involves removal of dong

heheh
>>
>>52779295
see I know you can choose to keep the 1 rolls and not buff them to 2, but I don't think you have the option to not ignore your own resistance if you're in your own splash zone. Probably a DM fiat sort of thing.
>>
>>52779314
Even real life provides.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d%27%C3%89on
>>
File: 1468891650165.jpg (28KB, 171x241px) Image search: [Google]
1468891650165.jpg
28KB, 171x241px
>First time DM
>Running a one shot to see if he likes DM
>Asked if he thought a creature doing 5d10 radiant and 5d10 fire was too much
>Its a regular attack, no resources used
>Turns out he's looking up fucking homebrew monsters

Someone send help
>>
File: shoujosweat.jpg (87KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
shoujosweat.jpg
87KB, 450x253px
>>52779376
>when we're fighting multiple creatures with +13 to hit, 20-40 damage, three attacks per round, 200+ HP, and +7 Wis saves
>>
>>52779376
Better than him ripping of critical role or something.
>>
File: The_Invisibles_V1_15_04.jpg (186KB, 665x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The_Invisibles_V1_15_04.jpg
186KB, 665x1024px
>>52779114
He/she only needed to tell the god Mictlántecútli a dirty joke to get his approval.
>>
>>52779401
haha tiberius and mattmercernpcs amirite
>>
>>52779401
Man, everyone in my campaign watches that gay shit and they constantly make references to it and I want to blow my brains out.
>>
File: The_Invisibles_V1_15_15.jpg (187KB, 663x1023px) Image search: [Google]
The_Invisibles_V1_15_15.jpg
187KB, 663x1023px
>>52779415
>>
Can we keep shit talking Reddit?

What the fuck is their obsession with "custom character sheets" where 2/3 of the page is a crude drawing or $50 commission while the rest is bare bones, even missing critical components like features and traits?

And why does everyone play a fucking Warlock and/or Tiefling?
>>
>>52779442
Or Dragonborn. A lot of reddit loves being a special snowflake I guess. I hate it to no end. Next game I run I'm banning everything but Humans, Halflings, Dwarves and Elves.
>>
File: The_Invisibles_V1_15_16.jpg (182KB, 661x1023px) Image search: [Google]
The_Invisibles_V1_15_16.jpg
182KB, 661x1023px
>>52779440
>>
>>52779189
Twin haste and, uhh.. That's it, really, until you get into UA content for gishsorcerers or multiclassing for quickened spells on eldritch blast or GFB/BB
>>
>that pleasant feeling when the DM and other players use characters physical description in the game

The barbarian we have is 8 feet tall and buit as fuck, so everyone agreed he's so large that my halfling counts as being in partial cover if hiding behind him
>>
>>52779400
>When that one guy in the party gets given so many AC buffing items he has maybe 28 AC and all the enemies now have +15 to hit to compensate, while everybody else is stuck at 17 AC
T-thanks DM
>>
>>52779401
I'd rather that than this potential shit show he's quickly spiraling this into also he'd never get away with it because a couple of us watch Critical Role and I'm the only one who seems to make campaigns that don't spiral into that

>>52779400
When he said CR 24 boss I thought he had done what I did and pulled a monster from previous editions. Now I'm pretty sure its gonna be that and be a unfun TPK because we're fighting some 1000% bullshit

>>52779421
Matt Mercer, Travis and sometimes Sam are the only reason to watch that show.
>>
>>52779197
My mistake i was thinking haste
>>
>>52779465
ah yes, all the Dragonborns that look more like Lizardfolk because they don't want anyone to know that they're furries. Or scalies, whatever.

What happens if a Human and an Elf have a babby in your world?
>>
File: Eilistraee_symbol.jpg (50KB, 400x561px) Image search: [Google]
Eilistraee_symbol.jpg
50KB, 400x561px
>>52779172
She's a Lesser Goddess, which means her followers can't be less than a few thousands... Damn, are good or at least neutral Drow really that few?
>>
>>52779492
>when we're only level 8 and the highest AC in the party is 21 so he's still going to get hit more often than not and die from three hits
our only saving grace is that everyone keeps forgetting that Slow is a save-every-round spell
>>
>>52779465
>being that GM

Just say no if they are playing them like a human with extra bits, especially for dragonborn.
They can be interesting when they're not suffering from half-elf syndrome
>>
>>52779519
I don't fucking know man
>>
>>52779552
Do you know how babby is formed?
>>
>>52779561
They need to do way instain mother.
>>
>>52779541
Fuck 'em. I've never met a single person who played tiefling, dragonborn, etc who was bearable.
>>
>>52779541
Advice I give any player is make a backstory that is good with any race or class. Unless you know what you're doing, making a character around race and class is normally just a bland character that you're 100% sure is cool, but no one else agrees.
>>
>>52779519
Who says that elves and humans can breed?
>>
>>52779575
That's why I banned those races in my games
>>
>>52779590
you would deny Elf waifus to an entire race?
>>
>>52779575
Fortunately, my players are too good to ever play Tieflings, and too keen on playing something that doesn't suck ass mechanically to ever play Dragonborn.
>>
>>52779585
Any class viable is fairly bland backstory though.
Like the mutual exclusions between a fighter and a wizard are huge.
>>
>>52779624
you can stick your dick in whatever you want, doesn't mean you and your dog are gonna have a kid m8
>>
if a player got awarded an inspiration token by their DM are they allowed to expend it after they've done their first roll or do they have to announce that they are going to use it before they roll on the task?
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>52779575
>>52779465
I agree. Fuck special races. I've never met a player that wasn't a fucking degenerate.

>Girl plays a tiefling
>Complains I'm not bullying her enough
>E-everyone meant to hate me
>Make every shopkeeper s-shout at me
>>
>>52779651
True but more often than not, people will actually come up with motivation and make a somewhat decent character. If its a little vague towards what they're doing then bring your class into it.
>>
>>52779671
gee the GM's brownie points would be subject to the GM's fiat now wouldn't they
>>
>>52779698
Bitches love getting negged.
>>
>>52779698
You can have a tiefling who uses mask of many faces to keep themselves disguised all the time as a normal non-edgy character, but that character becomes kind of pointless if nobody cares in the first place.
>>
>>52779671
before or after roll, but before outcome
that's how I do it at least
>>
Sometimes I look at the posts here, and wonder how many posters wear taped thick rimmed glasses and pocket protectors.
This shit looks almost as self-parodying as the Shadowdark.
>>
File: 1461274873960.gif (101KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
1461274873960.gif
101KB, 500x513px
>>52779698
This is why I dislike Tieflings and odd races, most DMs just hand wave away the lore that they are supposed to be hated or feared. Also why didn't you and watch her carefully, she probably liked being bullied if you know what I mean.
>>
>>52779631
I feel like we come into DnD expecting the default races. Human, Elves, Dwarves. Then we're introduced to the extra races like Halfings, Gnomes, and everything in between.

And then anime starts happening, and the "off limit" races like angels and demons suddenly get edited to be playable. How is it that we never got a regular Orc race, but we got Assmen and Tieflings? Yes you can play as an Orc sure, but they're bundled with the "monster" races, the types meant for deviant players and NPCs

I still like my Half Elf. Suck it.
>>
>>52779129
>>52779078
How do I play Toki in 5e?
>>
>>52779698
We have the usual high and mighty dragonborn.
Turns out he's self conscious as fuck over that fact that the party sorcerer had good relations with their draconic heritage and is jealous as fuck.

I think he's ok, far better than muh OC fursona donut steel
>>
>>52779575
I'd like to think I played a Tiefling well.

Had him work as basically a gypsy from Hunchback of Notre Dame, someone who is used to moving around and being given the shit end of the stick, but lives happy anyways because in the end, all that matters is enjoying life while you can, even if people think you're some kind of heresy or outcast.

I honestly have no clue how someone plays a Dragonborn, though.
>>
>>52779758
Half elf should just be called 'Variant human 2'.
>>
Why are gnomes even a thing?
>>
>>52779746
>"haha" said the anon
>"you are all but nerds and I alone am the Chad King! "
>"First of my name, the spiller of seed and breaker of hymens! I can count the leaves off trees at 500 yards! "
>I thrust pens and freshly sharpened pencils in to the pockets of my denim jeans!
>He paused here, for effect, guffawing to himself as the words readied themselves on his lips.

>"Sharp end DOWN"
>>
Gonna DM for the first time and l'm nervous as fuck.
What do l need for a first session? How do l not overprepare?
>>
>>52779785
That Pacifist Monk UA thing that blows everyone up when something nearby dies.
>>
>>52779798
because halfings are for children and dwarves are for men with inferiority/honor complexes
>>
>>52779785
Monk/Cleric?
>>
File: rezmir.jpg (36KB, 491x179px) Image search: [Google]
rezmir.jpg
36KB, 491x179px
>>52779753
Dm's already have too much shit to do to be catering to snowflakes. Different NPC interactions for each of the 6 players.

>>52779793
>high and mighty
>when you realize Dragonborn are meant to be detested and killed on site
>>
>>52779526
Well the entire point of drow is to be evil elves. So yeah.
>>
File: 1368370303632.jpg (53KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
1368370303632.jpg
53KB, 250x300px
>after 94 episodes of Critical Shill Matt finally calls out Laura on "Do I get advantage because favored terrain" and checks the rules

Finally...I can die in peace....
>>
>>52779814
there are three relatively popular youtube channels for beginner DM tips, they're all pretty valid. Each has a couple videos on the daunting "first session"
>>
>>52779814
Find out what each player is like, and make a plot that takes that into account.

Is one of your players a horrible murderhobo? Make sure to have there be plenty of outlets for that anger.
Is one of your players into roleplay a lot? Then be sure to make small notes for each NPC you'll have them run into, so you can act as them on the fly.
>>
>>52779805
>jeans
m8.

No, but really, I no longer know if the tiefling issue is actually a meme or just a codified rite at this point.
>>
>>52779839
why would they ever be fighting on a field of dicks, how did this even come up
>>
>>52779798
Because they needed more representation of pure magic other than Elf.
>>
ln a human only campaign, should l make my players roll for stats, pointbuy or pointbuy with 75 points with every stat starting at 0?
>>
>>52779831
Dragonborn aren't half dragons anon. They're like tiefling or aasimar.
>>
>>52779831
>Not involving the rest of the party since they are traveling with her
>Not using it as a way to create tension and see how the group will handle or overcome people who out right refuse to talk to them or are openly hostile

Its almost like you think there's no way to involve everyone when making a world that follows the lore more closely.
>>
File: dwarvesdontcare.png (940KB, 598x1872px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvesdontcare.png
940KB, 598x1872px
>>52779822
>tfw 6'4", clean-shaven, teetotaler, yet always play a dorf
>>
daily reminder that bard is the leftist cuck class and only faggot gommunists would even consider playing one
>>
>>52779271
no one answered my on topic questions so why bother.
>>
>>52779839
Watched that and laughed because he hadn't even thought of it until she kept asking for advantage on everything when alone.
>>
>>52779476
other creatures already count as half cover, dummy
>>
File: 1485748342625.png (10KB, 399x398px) Image search: [Google]
1485748342625.png
10KB, 399x398px
>>52779869
I'm done.
>>
>>52779898
Which one?
I'm handling accounting early because one of my players could not come and I'm bored as all hell.
>>
>>52779831
>confusing half-dragon and dragonborn which is ok
>acting like a tiamat worshiping half-black-dragon deserves anything but lynching
>>
>>52779859
I dunno man sometimes variety is the spice of life and maybe I don't want to roll up elf/dwarf/minmaxuman #76. Kinda sucks that everything else has such a stigma but I find if you don't play like a cunt you'll get by just fine.
>>
File: 1853.gif (717KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1853.gif
717KB, 200x150px
>>52779884
>who out right refuse to talk to them or are openly hostile

They'd just get edgy and start going on about how this medieval world has a multicultural rainbow of races and they all love each other.

Or use it as an excuse to be murderhobos. No it's best not to engage snowflakes anon.
>>
File: 1483406917895.png (25KB, 850x700px) Image search: [Google]
1483406917895.png
25KB, 850x700px
Should l reward a language per lNT modifier instead of using the regular language system?
>>
>>52779918
worf is NOT a merry man!
>>
>>52779922
no that's a terrible idea.
>>
>>52779922
No. Don't be a dumbass. If 10 is average Int, think of all the people who are just slightly above average. Do they all know a second language? Do all geniuses know five?

Int-for-languages is a relic of a bad system. If your characters want to know more languages, just let them have them if it's appropriate for their background.
>>
File: 1453375470821.jpg (146KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1453375470821.jpg
146KB, 768x1024px
Are tieflings really supposed to be hated that much? I'm playing a Faerun campaign mostly set in Waterdeep From what I've read Waterdeep is supposed to be like the mixing pot of the area. When the tiefling is like in the dock ward or the trades ward I play NPCs like they don't really care but with the occasional drunken ultra-xenophobe. If he ever enters the castle ward or the north wards then people will whisper behind his back and maybe refuse his business.
>>
>>52779922
yeah go ahead just make wizard and casters who dont need to worry about physical stats just pump it into int to get advantages over martials
>>
File: giphy.gif (443KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
443KB, 400x296px
>>52779918
Its happened once, they found out their actions have consequences and you can't fight the entire city guard. I was fair and warned them when they said " I wanna play a Tiefling."
>>
>>52779922
I've seen a lot of idiots know more than one language.

These aren't learned languages like from books and study, these are languages that they grew up with. A language from a Background would attribute to that, and if they were stupid then it would just be odd having that background in the first place.

>>52779944
Tieflings are okay. Planescape showed us that. Its the PLAYERS that are pure anime cancer though.
>>
>>52779831
half-dragon =/= dragonborn, dragonborns wish they were half-dragons, just check them on the monster manual.
>darkvision 60
>blindsight 10
>a real breath weapon with a recharge (5-6)
>>
>>52779913
probably every mystic question on the thread.
>>
File: 200.gif (722KB, 264x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
722KB, 264x200px
>>52779955
>>52779914
>A half-dragon is what you get when a Dragon fucks a human

Could it get anymore D E G E N E R A T E ?
>>
>>52779944
Tieflings have some stigma attached to them, but for basic settings they don't need to watch their back all the time for angry mobs with torches and pitchforks.
>>
>>52779973
Yes, very easily.
There are some really fucked up half-breeds.
>>
>>52779973
>He doesn't want to fuck a Dragon

I mean, who doesn't? Right?

Right?
>>
>>52779940
Why tho?

>>52779942
Well everyone still gets a second language anyways, might as well make it actually matter for once.

>>52779945
A language or two won't break the game, tho. lNT is arguably the worst stat just by lack of usefulness.
>but it's a casting ability
by that logic casting with wis or cha is even more broken.
>>
File: shock.jpg (599KB, 500x696px) Image search: [Google]
shock.jpg
599KB, 500x696px
>>52779371
>Doctors who examined d'Éon's body after death discovered "male organs in every respect perfectly formed", but also feminine characteristics
>>
>>52779973
half-dragon is a template that can apply to gargantuan and smaller beasts, humanoids, giants or monstrosities, you could have a half-dragon cow or purple worm for all the book cares.
>>
>>52779944
>Something that looks like a devil
>Oh its totally normal and nothing should be done

Drop a Tiefling into medieval Europe, what the fuck do you think would happen. Not the best analogy but what I got off the top of my head
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>52779698
>>52779465
>When you ban every non tolkien race
>"What are my options?"
>"Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling"
>"Oooook then I'm going to play a Half-Elf, then I have darkvision and I'm special and don't need to sleep also my parents were really cool and tragic"
>>
>>52780054
half breeds were a mistake.
>>
>>52780003
Don't worry he's just a fag
>>
>>52773492
Yes, it's memetastical.
>>52776022
>>52776154
>Immortal
>Healing, Skillmonkeying, Advantage Giving, Identifier of Magical Items.
>Psionic Restoration, Bestial Form, Telepathic Contact, Nomadic Mind.
It feels right, but read your damn disciplines, some are great with trashy names and some are awful but sound cool.
Nah, I went with Half-Elf for smugness and elven superiority.
>>
>>52780036
That's a pretty terrible analogy and you know it.

Tieflings in 5e aren't subject to the same level of hate they got in 3e since they're not the direct spawn of demon fug.
They got roughly the same amount of shit half-orcs get now
>>
>>52780054
We had a helf that tried to pull this shit.

GM said that since you're only half, using trance doesn't mentally rest you, so he kept dropping in int/wis to show the horrific sleep deprivation he was suffering
>>
File: 1405496654696.jpg (216KB, 1512x1512px) Image search: [Google]
1405496654696.jpg
216KB, 1512x1512px
>>52780082
>same amount of shit half-orcs get now

So lynched by mobs and hung upon sight?
>>
>>52780036
>Drop a Tiefling into medieval Europe, what the fuck do you think would happen
Not much, since most of what we consider classical demonic or angelic symbolism, as well as certain "truths" of the Christian faith, are inventions of ages past the medieval period.

Peasants wouldn't consider something like an aasimar to be angelic, nor would they be worried about going to Hell.
>>
>>52780007
ur retarded

the point is it gives an unfair advantage to casters for no reason
>>
>>52780054
I just don't like the whole trance thing.

And I like my +2 Cha. Only other way to get +2 is to delve into the special snowflake races, and even +1 is pushing it with Drow and all these weird Planeshift races.
>>
>>52780082
>Not the direct spawn of demon fug
>Can be but also are just a straight up corruption visible on a bloodline
>Letting half-orcs also not get shit for normally being violent prone

Man it's like you don't give disadvantages for getting a laundry list of shit just for being a snowflake race.
>>
>>52780082
they are met with superstition and supernatural fear

this is straight out of the PHB

if that doesnt translate to being hated or at least disliked and untrusted ur retarded
>>
>>52780133
new thread
>>
File: 1406007615004.gif (1020KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1406007615004.gif
1020KB, 400x229px
>>52780115
As a history teacher. You're an idiot.
>>
>>52780135
Blame the snowflakes that got pissy when they tried walking into a town in 3e as a Tief/half-orc and got fucked up for being a monstrosity.
>>
>>52778411
You should have Psychic Disruption, it's good for mind fuckery, has one of the best damage+debuff combos the Mystic can get for its 1-7, and has THE set up effect in Mind Storm, combo with yourself next turn for disadvantaged Psychic Crush, or let your allies use it up for whatever debuffs they've got. Hell, even making everything take full fireball damage can be worth it.
>>
>>52780219
Yeah, I really like Mind Storm but it doesn't really feel like a third or fourth pick, specially with Assault and Telepathic link already having psychic damage and mind fuckery.

That said, I suppose given the way it's written, you could retrain your Awakened exclusive disciplines at any point, but most disciplines don't really feel like low level spells that only work for 1st level and then become useless as either all scale, or the ones with weak low cost effect usually have weak high cost effects.
>>
File: 1411973153898.jpg (308KB, 1400x2900px) Image search: [Google]
1411973153898.jpg
308KB, 1400x2900px
>>52779758
I really like half elves. In our setting, they make the most promising and charismatic bards since basically everyone but the people from three human-centric, non-human hating kingdoms perceive them as enchanting and alluring, but not as distant, arrogant and pretentious as the xenophobic Lorwyn-esque elves from the forests.

There's also lots of half elven clerics of the resident Greater Deity of Love, Passion, Desire, Beauty and Elation, due to the fine mix of human and elven attractive features.
>>
>>52779814
I started DMing a couple months ago because the other two people who tried to DM were spotty and were too high concept with no grasp of the details. They only got like 2 to 3 sessions each and nobody cared. If you think on your feet, keep things believable, and roleplay the npcs you'll be fine.

Focus on worldbuilding first and encounters second. If you have no concept of what the world looks like then you'll end up fucking up the landscape when your characters want to take a random turn. You can always make up npcs, story, and encounters on the fly and move them around but unless you wanted a mountain on the other side of those woods for the rest of the campaign you better not tell them that's what they find. What happens when the PCs follow the random river you put in front of them? Is it going to magically dissappear or do you know which body of water it feeds to?
>>
>>52780382
That reminds me, it may be time to replay Tictacs Ogre.

But do I do it with my PSP?
>>
>>52780431
This is why my setting bible is 60 pages long.
and that's just the stuff the players can read
>>
File: pls halp.jpg (71KB, 500x662px) Image search: [Google]
pls halp.jpg
71KB, 500x662px
Uhhhh, so if you have a theurge with the trickery domain and you hit level 14 you get Improved duplicity, does that allow you to actually use duplicity since that is technically a "upgrade" class feature?
>>
>>52780738
What do you mean? You could use Invoke Duplicity starting at level 2 with your Channel Arcana.
>>
>>52780795
>>52780824
>>
>>52780054
Half-Elves don't get trance
>>
File: take it easy.png (684KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
take it easy.png
684KB, 639x479px
>>52780431

This is the secret to DMing:

Player: "Uh hey DM, why is this not what it should be?"

>Cock your eyebrow, look at them like they just asked the Million Dollar Question

>"Really...how interesting...I wonder why that is?"

This tactic has never failed me and it never will.
>>
Any way's to spice things up in 5e? Starting to get a little bored of just constant combat, but from how things work thats all 5e does ok at.
Thread posts: 460
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.