[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 41

File: Beholders.jpg (82KB, 1136x745px) Image search: [Google]
Beholders.jpg
82KB, 1136x745px
5th Edition D&D General

>Unearthed Arcana: Skill Feats
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52764184
>>
>>52767966
Halflings are made for cock
>>
REMEMBER TO FILL OUT THE SURVEY

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9
>>
>>52767982
You misspelled "kobolds".
>>
>>52768010
This.
>>
you think my players will get annoyed if i have a different gay beholder in all of my campaigns, im about to introduce my third.
>>
>>52767982
fpbp
>>
>>52768033
>gay beholder
>gay
>beholder
No such thing. Beholders reproduce asexually and even then the only thing they ever find attractive in any way, form, or manner is themselves.
>>
>>52768041
homo means the same :^)
but im not meaning sexually, i mean acts camp.
>>
Looking for some advice on two situations that happened in my game last night:
1. We took a break halfway through where I went to the bathroom and when I came back I caught one of my players looking through my notes. For the rest of the night every enemy "for some reason" attacked that player and they all "somehow" got critical hits. I'm wondering if I went a little far. What would you have done in my position?
2. How do you handle the PCs trying to remember things (e.g. what an NPC told them not to do, where they heard the roaming goblin hoard was, etc)? I can't decide if things like this are handled with an intelligence check or a history check
>>
>>52768067
Absolutely have a camp beholder or three. Just make sure that the party runs into at least ONE normal beholder to have something to compare it to.
>>
File: A word of advice.jpg (91KB, 863x1300px) Image search: [Google]
A word of advice.jpg
91KB, 863x1300px
>>52768067
Just do it.
>>
>>52768069
1.i wouldnt have done anything in game, just yell at them and throw them out of a window.
2. i cant help with, one of my players constantly takes notes.
>>
> party doesn't have Wizard
Should I go Knowledge Cleric for Intelligence base-skill? We will be playing Curse of the Strahd.
>>
>>52768076
thats actually some good advice, i'll take it to heart.
>>
>>52768069
2) would be intelligence check.

History is for historical events,legendary people,ancient civilization etc. All the text book stuff.
>>
>>52768069
>What would you have done in my position?
Changed anything that could have been found in the notes, though not so drastically that I lost what I was doing.

Making it so overt with the critical hits was probably a bad move, though punishing them isn't a bad idea in and of itself.
>>
>>52768094
You won't need that much intelligence-based skills. You absolutely will need some form of control, though, and turn undead.
>>
>>52768131
Well.. I'm going for Cleric for sure, since I know my friends will always go for "Muh damage". Just haven't decided on my Domain yet.
>>
File: death beholder.jpg (318KB, 1000x1058px) Image search: [Google]
death beholder.jpg
318KB, 1000x1058px
>>52767966
Can a beholder become a Litch? If so does it already have an actual name like the dragolitch?
>>
>>52767978
>if you balance around one method, you'd probably intend that method to be your default, right?
Yes and no. I can imagine it being the case that they started with rolling stats, built the system around the mid-range stats, and then said "well we could just give them an option not to have it as random and just use the figures we based the system on".

That is to say, the array is built around the balancing, rather than the other way around. That wouldn't make it the default system.

>You could definitely balance around both random rolling (by diminishing the importance of stats, for example using OD&D modifiers, or using stat-independent modifiers for abilities)
That would make it a different game, though. Assuming they balanced around rolling but with the assumption in place that you'll end up with average midrange stats, you wouldn't want to reduce the value of the stats just to make it more balanced, necessarily. It'd be like baking a chocolate cake and then scraping off half of the icing in case someone doesn't like chocolate.

>In fact, I'm thinking the stat-caps are part of damage control for rolling and poitnbuy, so they don1t throw off the math too much.
Probably true.
>>
>>52768176
>Lichholder
>Belich
>Belicher
>Bicholder
>>
>>52768176
>take Lich statblock
>add eye beams

There ya go
>>
Also another CoS question, is it Elves / Half-Elves any good in there? Advantage on charm seems like a useful trait to has in campaign full of vampires.
>>
>>52768299
Perception proficiency is especially usefull.
And the trance feature makes you the ideal for watching out for others.
>>
How do you guys manage your inventory, written wise?

I can never find a good way to record what's where on my character, or if it's stored somewhere else.
>>
>>52768214
>That would make it a different game, though.

Well, yeah? That's the point I'm making, that if they intended that method to be the default, it'd be a different game.

>Assuming they balanced around rolling but with the assumption in place that you'll end up with average midrange stats, you wouldn't want to reduce the value of the stats just to make it more balanced,

Well, you wouldn't have to make that assumption if you used OD&D modifiers in the first place.
>>
File: 1478573305176.png (119KB, 995x841px) Image search: [Google]
1478573305176.png
119KB, 995x841px
>>52768339
I wish I could draw them
>>
>>52768405
Is that your beeswax?
>>
Since Invisible end if I attack or cast a spell.... could I use help action instead?
>>
>>52768271
>add eye beams as lair actions
ftfy
>>
>>52768405
I wish someone would build generic tabletop software that visually stores equipment you can pick.

>click on backpack, get a list of what's in it
>click on character, customize slots
>click on parties home, list what's in it

visual helps my stupid ass. plus in some of my games our characters do set backpacks down and such.
>>
>>52768339
I just have 4 lists;
Stuff in a backback
Stuff that is weapons/armour
Stuff that isn't in my backpack and isn't a weapon/armour
Stuff that I don't have on me
>>
>>52768473
Do you just have lined paper for it?

I tried sorting it like that in books or paper before but I've run out of room and the notes just end up scattered.
>>
>>52768339
I handed out something similar to this picture, just a bit cleaner and not as modern looking.
They just write on the pockets what they have in them or even draw the actual objects.
>>
>>52768430
Yes. But remember to Help you must be within 5ft of the target, even if the Archer you're helping isn't.

As a house rule, I require Investigation checks to locate invisible creatures using the Search action.
>>
>>52768446
draw your equipment and make cutouts :)
then you can move it around to help visualizing your inventory :D
>>
>>52768483
No, just have it on my character sheet. There are plenty of boxes for it all on the 5eg sheet
>>
>>52768489
>>52768515
Might try something like this, could be fun.
>>
For Trickster cleric... if both me and my illusion is within 5 feet of my enemies.... will my spiritual weapon get advantage too? It is my spell attack after all.
>>
>>52767966
Wow, that UA is fucking useless.
It's 90% shit I do in my group without any need for these feats.Only good one is Medic.
>>
>>52768638
Giving expertise to nonexpertise classes can be interesting though.

Make a V. Human Cleric with Perceptive. You're at +7 perception. At 4th take Observant. Now at 18WIS and +12 perception. Hit 5th and now you're at +14.

Passive perception of 24. Mite b cool
>>
File: 1468342576790.png (61KB, 764x777px) Image search: [Google]
1468342576790.png
61KB, 764x777px
>>
>>52768699
Query: Can I put penoos in succubed?
>>
>>52768711
yes
>>
>>52768689
I can agree with giving Expertise out more, but it might be better to make it a Feat on its own or something.

Though, you'd pretty much invalidate Rogue's main trick after Sneak Dice if you did.
>>
>>52768699
>ruse ooze
Sounds like a trap. And not even the kind of trap you find on the internet.
>>
>>52768724
Inquiry: Does penoso in succubed feel good?
>>
>>52768735
It's a succubus and a cube!

>>52768734
It's only a trap because it's not a succubus, it's a cube.
>>
>>52768744
Would my lil john thomas remain intact?
>>
>>52768770
1d4 Acid damage to your dick per round
>>
>>52768699
LET ME SNOOZE, RUSE OOZE. What happen if I remove the pillow? Smite
>>
>>52768770
>Acid (Ex)
>>
>>52768778
>>52768789
Okay then what do I feed the succubed to neutralize it's acid, but retain it's bouncy suctioness?
>>
>>52768796
Gelatinous Cubes with nonzero INT can turn off the acid as an at-will action. You need to charm the NE Succubed.
>>
File: 1492292834441.jpg (101KB, 900x903px) Image search: [Google]
1492292834441.jpg
101KB, 900x903px
What class does the most annoying person in your group play?

For me it'd be one of the three wizards in our four person party.
>>
Huh, 4e is pretty good.
>>
>>52768806
Bards.
>>
>>52768689
Observent only increases passive perception. Level 4 is +8, not +12, level 5 would be +10
>>
>>52768829
Oh yeah, that's another massive one.
>>
>>52768805
I think I want to get into gelatinous cube breeding! No, not that kind you perverts >:D
>>
>>52768699
Let me snooze ruse ooze
>>
>>52768094
If you don't have counterspell in that campaign you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
File: 1476467826287.jpg (45KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476467826287.jpg
45KB, 600x480px
>>52768037
>>
>>52768176
Death Tyrants are already basically the Beholder lich-equivalent. You can take away their central eye (beholder mages stab out their central eye so it doesn't fuck with their magic), give them the spell casting from lich and a phylactery and call them a beholder-mage-turned lich if you want.
>>
What have you taken from previous editions to add to your fifth edition game?

The main antagonist beholder is learning magic to become an Elder Orb, and has a Mouthpick.
>>
>>52768604
Yup
>>
Is there any reason to go anything but v.human?
>>
>>52768638
I think its real advantage is it finally offers a few more feats for ability stat increases. I wish I'd had it a few weeks ago, I really needed a +1 stat feat that was more use than the existing ones.
>>
>>52769031
Flight's pretty good for monks.
>>
>When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one attack with...

Does that mean you can replace a bonus action dual wield attack with the attempt?
>>
>>52769031
Half-Elf got better stats for CHA based class, one more proficiency and darkvision.

That's pretty much it.
>>
>>52768699
Let me snooze, Ruse Ooze.
>>
>>52769031
Humans are boring, you have to make them interesting, playing certain races adds character.

Though they are the best if your idea for a character is focused on combat.
>>
>>52769031
Don't be a gamey cunt, but if you're playing human then yeah there's no point.
>>
>>52769071
Bonus action to TWF isn't Attack action.
>>
>>52769071
Nope
>>
>>52769031
Having flight via Aasimar might be cool for Sun monks and ranged characters.
>>
>>52769096
>>52769103
I mean, given your response, I wouldn't argue RAI, but RAW -

>When you take the Attack action on your turn
Attack with Action, all good
>you can replace one attack
Bonus action attack is "an attack" and therefore qualifies for "one attack", no? It doesn't refer specifically to an attack action.
>>
>>52769031
Most spellcasters don't need the feat that badly.
Most martials don't either unless you are a munchkin
Resists are nice
Shit like swim speed and flight speed are situationally nice
A lot of builds come together quicker when you take a race that has built in armor/martial proficiencies rather then a 1 or two level dip in Fighter/Cleric
Free Elvish Perception proficiency
>>
>>52769089
>dun b geimeiii cuht!!
So I can pick a race that looks cool and waste my scarce ASI for feats that are cool.... or be a gaymecunt and not sacrifice as many asis
>>
>>52769191
>scarce ASI
As I thought, gamey cunt
>>
>>52769191
>Not playing an orc bard with a 12 in charisma
do u even rp m8?
>>
>>52769133
Can you name an example of using this? I can't think of any effects other than commander strike that have forgoing one weapon attack.
>>
>>52769088
>just not being human is inherently more interesting
Is it, for anything but the fact that we are humans in real life? D&D humans might as well be elves or whatever for how much like us they are.
>>
>>52769239
Grapple and Shove off the top of my head
>>
>>52769260
>>52769239
Disarm optional rule from the DMG, several of the feats (the social ones) in the latest UA.
>>
What if you just allowed people to ignore racial attributes if they want and just let them add a +1 to two stats
>>
>>52768778
That reminds me. Succubi do psychic damage in 5e, so you don't need to maintain a noncontact-based relationship with a succubus once the bard or wizard learns to cast Mind Blank. Just thought it was something interesting to note.
>>
>>52769250
Yes other races can be more interesting in two separate cases, visually or culturally.

If you pick a dragonborn character, you look like a dragon, they are uncommon enough for people to take notice of you, and you stand out in a crowd. People will call you "the dragonborn" and make assumptions and have beliefs and opinions about you.

As for culturally, half-orcs are a fair example. Though they are only part Orc, they have this natural draw towards violence, as Gruumsh's fury is still prevalent in their blood. No matter what you tack on with the character, they will always be in some semblance of controlling themselves, their natural tendency to lash out must be fought with concentration and focus. Or they give into their fury, which also adds to the character.

Humans ain't got that shit.
>>
>>52769031
V. Humans are essentially +3 to a stat +1 to another, +1 skill, +1 language. This is simply just a great thing that applies anywhere, but often racial features are better.

If you remove compulsory weapon feats or don't play a class that needs weapon feats, you don't need v. human.

Sometimes a racial background helps with things such as negotiations, too.
>>
>>52769044
Is the bird or V.Humans better for a monk?
>>
>>52769330
>+3 to a stat
nope
>>
>>52768806
Paladin, if only because a frightening number of players who play paladins have the least sense of right and wrong of any player in the group. If you play a paladin and know what you're doing, you're a bro, but I've yet to meet any bros.
>>
>>52769326
Maybe if you only play humans of ethnicities common to where your campaign takes place.
>>
>>52769260
>>52769298
Grapple clearly says part of attack action. So does shove.

>If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Atlack action, this attack replaces one of them.

But Disarm in the DMG doesn't specify attack action, so you could disarm with an offhand weapon. If your DM allows it you can disarm with an off hand attack.
>>
>>52769088
I had a DM once who complained that I was being boring when I picked human. The same Dm said I was being a powergaming special snowflake munchkin when I chose something other than human. You just can't please some people.
>>
>>52769398
>implying anyone wants to play fantasy niggers or gooks
News flash: those are only even options to shut up SJWs, who won't use them either because they're hypocrites. At best they might be useful for villains.
>>
>>52769398
Then it could maybe be interesting, but that means you are working to dig up the ethnicities of the humans, cause they are not in the PHB like the others.

Starting bare bones only from PHB which is what most do, the other races start as more interesting.
>>
>>52769359
Assuming you have enough ASIs (You're of a high enough level, which varies depending on what you want, i.e. a fighter might want 3 feats before upping their main stat and thus the +3 assumption only works at level 8+. However, for, say, a warcaster cleric who just wants +wis afterwards, this level is level 4) then it is absolutely a +3 to a stat.

Given something such as PAM is stronger than +2 to strength, however, at levels below the 'however many feats you need' variant human is actually stronger than +3 to one stat and +1 elsewhere.
>>
>>52769444
The ethnicities are absolutely in the PHB.
>>
>>52769425
I had a character in the party I was DMing be distinguished for being human simply because he was the only human. The dwarves and elves all poked fun at him.
>>
>>52769399
>>52769298
Disarm is it own action entirely. It's under "action options" for a reason.
>>
>>52769479
Ah well there they are, I have never seen anyone actually use that.

There you go if you use that your character is more interesting.
>>
>>52769318
Probably fine. If they cared that much about powergaming they would just be V.Humans anyway so it is not too open for abuse.
>>
>tfw you don't optimise your stats and pick a feat like linguist because it fits your character and you get called a munchkin because you're playing a v.human
>>
If making a bardic assassin with the seduce then stab mentality, is it actually worth taking Rogue 3 (Assassin)

The potential for auto-crit is nice and so is the sneak attack, but permanently losing a feat/ASI and losing three levels of spell progression is a depressing prospect
>>
>>52767966
>Skill: Investigator
>Feat: Investigation

Triggered
>>
>>52769443
>>
>>52769519
>tfw you play default human and you get called a munchkin because you still find a way to optimize it.
>>
>>52769467
>>52769359
Oh, but, I'd probably best give levels where this holds true based on the number of 'compulsory feats' which are usually shit like PAM/SS/CBE/GWM/Mobile/etc.
Levels in which that or above variant human = +3 / +1 assumption holds true:
>Strength Barbarian: 8 (GWM+PAM)
>Barbarogue: 1
>Rogue: 4 (Mobile/CBE)
>Monk: 4 (Mobile)
>Fighter: 6 (GWM+PAM / SS+CBE)
>Ranger: 5 (Arguably 8) (CBE below 4, CBE+SS at 4, SS at 5 and above)
>Paladin: 4 (PAM)
>Mystic: 1
>Artificer: 1
>Cleric: 1
>Wizard: 1
>Sorcerer: 1
>Warlock: 1
>Druid: 1
>Bard: 1

Of course, variant human also opens up the opportunity to have, say, 2 feats at level 4 even if those feats aren't compulsory, but on a metagaming level those feats aren't likely to be much more powerful than a +2 in your main stat, and I've only considered above the feats that definitely are more powerful than a +2 to the main stat.
>>
>>52769519
>Make a rogue1/cleric1/bard3+ for 14 skill proficiency, 6-8 expertise, and 7 languages
>Pick up linguist

No need to wait for translations, Jack's songs come available in all languages from the beginning!
>>
>>52767966
>be half orc
>me, my party and my goblin squire enter a tavern for a nice meal after a 4 day travel
>tavern kicks me and my squire out and my party laugh at me and stay in the tavern
I refuse to eat rations, I've been traveling for a a while and I want a cooked meal
>there’s a coast just half an hours horse ride from the town
>go to the coast and search for something to eat
>find a giant crab and hack it to pieces
>DM smiles at me and asks me if I have anything to cook it in
I've been waiting for this moment
>tell him I took cooks utensils as my Artisan's Tools
>okay roll a flat wisdom check with advantage
>roll a 3 and a 20
>me and my squire camp on the beach eating the best crab ever cooked watching the sunset
>gallop back to the town to meet up with my party

the most comfy dnd experience of my life
>>
>>52769547
There is always the College of Whispers in UA. I'd Probably just go full Valor Bard. A full caster should be enough to assassinate a single target, if you pick the right spells for it
>>
>>52769443
To follow your meme way of thinking:
SJWs are too multicultural to play a brown human when shit like Eladrin, Aasimar, Tiefling, Triton or Gensai are on the table. ERGO the only people who play humans are /pol/ and only if they are white because the player is a vikingboo, romanboo, and/or DEUSVULTkin
>>
>>52769088
>Race is what makes your character interesting
>Not motivation or anything else

Personal rule of thumb if it isn't a back story that can work with a "boring" human then it's most likely shit.
>>
I'm thinking about playing a full orc paladin, playing him as the most relaxed guy who goes out of the way to help whoever he can. Full cliche lawful good, except without the preaching as he's not smart enough for that (6 int is a bitch).

Anyone tried a full orc before? How well do they play out both in combat and in RP situations. I'm semi worried about the DM completely ignoring it and treating it like nothing at all.

>>52769630
Sounds nice. I'm surprised no one in your party stayed out with you.
>>
>>52769333
Vhuman with mobile is pretty gud. Flight is top tier also.
>>
>>52769443
>implying anyone wants to play fantasy niggers or gooks
but my current character is a Calishite
>>
>>52769697
That's not really an answer Anon. I can grab mobile for the bird ASAP, but it means missing out on 2 skill points (I'm starting at level 3 2,500 exp)
>>
File: wtf.png (10KB, 846x92px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
10KB, 846x92px
Apparently the new feats are too powerful for reddit
>>
>>52769630
>playing a hermit dorf
>have been brewing up healing potions with my herbalism kit all game
>routinely wander away from the caravan to root out herbs and shit
>buy a bunch of weird supplies in town; party thinks I'm just going to FightGyver something in a future dungeon
>wander away to hunt a bear
>a few days later, wander away to gather pinecones as we get into more northern climes
>a few days after that, wander into the conveniently-nearby bogs to gather cranberries
>party still trying to wrap their head around this shit
supplies, hide, and tannin sources to make fur coats for the trip to to the spine of the world
fuck you neverwinter, i ain't payin 300gp for something i can make myself
>>
>>52769443
There's literally no difference you idiot. The human ethnicity part of the PHB is limited to a list of names and a description of what you could expect your character to look like
>>
>>52769713
Honestly if you fly a lot your DM will hate on you and you'll be in situations where you can't fly as often because honestly flight races are bullshit.

Mobile is much more reliable. Monks are squishy, so you want to move out of range after attacking, and mobile gives you both more speed to do that and autodisengage.
>>
>>52769687
my character is the butt of everyones jokes and he gets bullied despite being the ideas man, the negotiator and the tank of the team.

we are in a "pretty much everyone other than other orcs, goblinoids and the odd ranger or druid hates all orcs" setting so building a charsima fighter with folk hero background pretty much lead to me being somewhat useless in comparison to the rest of the team.
>>
What is a good 27PB for
Half-Elf Rogue 1 / Trickery Cleric X?

8 16 14 10 16 10 (after racial adjustment)?
Part of me want a bonus in INT or CHA, but I guess I could fix that with Guidance and Enhance Ability.
>>
>>52769725
based/based
would invite into my party.
>>
>>52769720
With 7 insight on level 1, you can do anything!
>>
>>52769720
OH NO PEOPLE ARE GETTING EXPERTISE THIS IS THE WORST DAY EVER

The good combat expertises are athletics, stealth and perception. You can already use observant to get +5 passive perception and +1 intelligence, so unless they're actually stacking the two feats or they're grabbing stealth which gives +dex anyway it's nothing big.

If you use proposed rules to make it so you can't get proficiency easily in grappling/stealth/passive perception (Mostly looking at getting high passive perception and high perception checks in campaigns where DMs use fucktons of perception checks because they hate giving players information) combat skills then it's no big deal as long as you don't allow historian abuse.
>>
>>52769720
>pic
Wait what, how does these feats make skill monkeys better? You can only multiply proficiency once. Skill Monkey have the least to gain from this as they already had several skills getting double proficiency.
>>
>>52769071
No, but I think you could replace a single attack Attack action with the attempt and still make a bonus action attack.
>>
>>52769031
Shadow Monks really like darkvision
>>
>>52769792
I can see how getting advantage on attack rolls with a wisdom check could be an issue, though

Mostly I see it being useful for building minor NPCs, as in "this village priest isn't powerful enough to be a cleric but he can still spam detect evil and good"
>>
>>52769720
Holy shit, this is what reddit is?

Anyway, I think I figured out the problem with these feats. They limit the existing capabilities of players. The Performance feat makes it so that you can go up to a guy and distract him so that your buddies can sneak right past him. However, I would argue that players should already be able to do that. Almost all of the feats you can see this.
>>
>>52769772
Sounds like a rapier+shield GFB/BB sort of play. Thus, you'll never need to grapple and you won't have expertise for athletics proficiency anyway, and thus 8 strength is fine.
You're not really gonna need to use intellect or charisma for anything too significant, any buff to that would just be for flavour and it'd ruin the pretty nice run of 16dex/14con/16wis, but it's probably fine to go down to 12 con if you really want that extra cha or int and don't want to look too munchkinned out, though without GFB/BB it sounds like it's not a munchkin build anyway.
>>
File: muslimsocialists.jpg (263KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
muslimsocialists.jpg
263KB, 1920x1080px
>>52769443
>tfw I've played a Korobokuru (asian dwarf), a Chultan (african), Mulhorandi (literal egyptian from actual egypt), and am currently playing a Zakharan (muslim)
i get the feeling my zakharan would trigger you hardcore, friendo
there is no racial disharmony in zakhara, nor particular racial identity among the civilized races
humans, dwarves, elves, etc., all get along just hunkydory and consider themselves "zakharans" before anything else
>tfw traveling around Faerun and culturally enriching the barbarians of these unenlightened lands
>>
>>52769841
Yeah. They even said in their own UA feats before 'you shouldn't do this because it limits what players can do with skills normally'
>>
>>52769841
They finally provide a mean for decent non-magical healing though
>>
I've always wanted to fight a beholder but never have.
>>
>>52769637

I was planning to go CoW as is

And assassination is easy enough with spells, but I was thinking more along the lines of pick up smites with bardic secrets
>>
>>52769841
Yeah that's my main issue with them, is like them more if it was just the skill increase and double proficiency
>>
Why is pure Orc weaker than Half-Orc in every way?
>>
>>52769878
Actually, what would be a balanced way to make Medic's effects accessible without needing to spend a feat on it?
>>
>>52769825
There is something that already gets advantage on attack rolls with an action it's called True Strike.

Though the advantage on ability checks could be odd.
>>
>>52769919
Because volo's guide to fucking up
>>
>>52769925
Advantage on an HD roll instead of auto-max.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (98KB, 620x416px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
98KB, 620x416px
>>52769919
>>
>>52769547
Take lore bard and use your cutting words to lower their initiative.
Or, 6 levels of valor bard for extra attack, use bardic inspiration on a teammate which'll do double damage in an assassination attempt, then put the rest of your levels in rogue because multi-attack synergy keeps up with the lost sneak attack dice.

Or, do lorebard6/paladin14. Paladin has a fuckton of burst, and you can grab shillelagh at 6 so you only ever need charisma.

Paladins are fucking brilliant assassins if they only assassinate one person a day.

You could also go AT for magical guy who can sneak attack twice with haste in a round or you could go swashbuckler for at-will charm person and charismaticness which sounds kind of what you're going for.
>>
>>52769848
Thanks. It's definitely not a munchkin build, I'm just trying to fill up the hole in our party (lacking both skill monkey and divine caster).
>>
File: RacePortHalf-Orc.png (183KB, 305x278px) Image search: [Google]
RacePortHalf-Orc.png
183KB, 305x278px
>>52769978
B-but the Nazis taught me that eugenics is only to be used for the PURITY of the race, not the beneficial melding of advantageous traits from multiple races!
>>
>>52769925
Somebody proficient in medicine can tend to someone over a short rest, foregoing their own hitdie rolling but allowing the player they're tending to to automatically get max hitdie rolls on 1/2/3/etc dice (1 at DC 15, 2 at DC 20, 3 at DC 25, 4 at DC 30...)
Or perhaps just say that they can make the short rest go faster with a good medicine check. This means the players won't feel cheated out of potential extra health if they don't do it, and thus it's kind of optional if they decide they really need to hurry up rather than have a nice casual break.
>>
>>52769978
>Just as strong
>>
File: jbl.jpg (15KB, 220x278px) Image search: [Google]
jbl.jpg
15KB, 220x278px
>>52770043
Yes, and?
>>
If I get attacked while invisibility and mirror image are active on me, which effect needs to be overcome first, the disadvantage or the redirection to one of the images?
>>
>>52770102
if you're getting attacked while invisible your invisibility has already been over come m8
>>
File: 1489502089179.jpg (65KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1489502089179.jpg
65KB, 728x546px
Is there an evil god that isn't edgy? I just want to give an evil character a try, preferably a cleric of an evil deity.
Which deity could be construed to fall most in line with a good party?
>>
>>52770016
Low genetic diversity is actually a bad thing, any biologist can tell you.
>>
>>52770068
They're clearly not.
>>
>>52770016
Look at it this way, a half-orc nine times out of ten is going to be dumber and more aggressive than a normal human. True you gain some benefits if all you need is dumb heavy labor
>>
>>52770132
Asmodeus?
>>
File: 1492026546620.png (361KB, 759x392px) Image search: [Google]
1492026546620.png
361KB, 759x392px
>>52770102
Mirror image doesn't work, because the attacker can't see you.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>52769881
My PCs never want to fight a beholder that's not going to stop one from showing up somewhere
>>
>>52770172
I can't find anything on what his followers actually do to worship him. Where could I find this?
>>
>>52770193
I think he use mirror image then use invisible. the attacker still see mirror image (PHB said "can't see" not "can't see you")
>>
>>52769919
It's pretty annoying to be honest. There's really no reason to ever play a full Orc. In every single situation where it might be slightly good, Goliath, Half-Orc or Bugbear do everything that they can just as well with additional benefits. Heck, they even gave Kobolds an interesting and viable build as a rogue.
>>
>>52770215
Gather wealth.
>>
>>52770123
That's not how invisibility works.
Invisibility gives disadvantage, and that's it. If you're hiding and you're attacked, then the fact you were hiding has been 'overcome' in that the attack has targeted your square and thus it has negated the defence of 'they don't know which square to attack', but doesn't give away your position unless you're hit (though I don't think there's any rules saying your position is revealed if you're hit? I think it's just assumed). But that attack would still have disadvantage.
The actual answer to the original question however is >>52770193

>>52770222
Mirror image presumably mirrors you, so if you have a pink hairdo all of a sudden they'll have pink hairdos too. If you're invisible, they'll be invisible, too.

"Three illusory duplicates of yourself appear in your
space. Until the spell ends, the duplicates move with
you and mimic your actions, shifting position so it's
impossible to track which image is real. "
If you become invisible, the copies mimic your action to become invisible too.
>>
>>52770204
They're incredibly difficult to kill, right? Like I said I've never fought one. Their lore just seems so awesome and interesting I feel like you could revolve a whole campaign around one beholder.
>>
File: thinking kirk 2.png (573KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
thinking kirk 2.png
573KB, 768x576px
Is Bugbear with PAM, battle master, sentinal and a polearm the biggest 'fuck you' you can pull on your DM? Stopping people dead in their tracks as they enter your range of 15 feet, and then again if they ever try and leave it sounds absolutely ridiculous if you have casters or ranged characters in your party.
>>
>>52770293
If you're not using UA, then yes it is. If you're using UA, add Tunnel Fighting.
>>
File: picard.png (196KB, 540x420px) Image search: [Google]
picard.png
196KB, 540x420px
>>52770317
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>52770281
The way the work is
>Fuck you I can levitate
>Haha any one in my eye cone can't use magic anything
>Oh you're outside that well fuck you random laser eye
>One of them is fucking disintegrate
>Oh I can also shoot them on your turn

It makes fighting them a bitch and a half, especially if the DM doesn't pull punches and plays them smart. However yes you could easily have a campaign center around a beholder and even if the party kills him some fuckery happens and he becomes a death tyrant latter out of pure rage.
>>
>>52770293
Nope, cause enemies have ranged capabilities too. And if you want to park it 20 feet away and wait for them be my guest.
>>
File: devilsadvocate2.jpg (133KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
devilsadvocate2.jpg
133KB, 1280x544px
>>52770132
Gargauth.

Gargauth is so Evil, all the other demons and devils got together to KICK HIM OUT OF HELL. They straight-up banished him to the mortal realms because the evil shit he was up to down there was just too much for them. So what does my man do? He runs around and pisses on everything else that's Evil in the world. He starts corrupting (further) Evil cults and making them serve him instead. Any time he finds a devil, he fucking KILLS THEM and absorbs their power. He killed so many devils and absorbed so much deviljuice that he got ripped enough to punch his way back into Hell and become a demigod.

Literally everyone in Hell hates him except Asmodeus, who's like, "I can respect a fellow legal eagle." All of the rest? Can't stand the guy, want him dead. And the other Evil Gods who aren't devils or demons? They hate him too. Bane, Cyric, Loviatar, Shar, Bhaal, Ghaunadur, etc., spend all day trying to stop Gargauth from getting any more ripped, and he spends all day fucking them over.

If Gargauth's so bad, he must have a bunch of enemies among the Good deities, right? Nope, not really. They don't really care about Gargauth, because he's too busy killing devils and everything he does is TECHNICALLY within the Law.

Because Gargauth is the God of Lawyers. Yeah, yeah, he loves betrayal and corruption, but he's not just gonna break a contract. He will only betray and fuck you LEGALLY, in a way you should have seen coming if you weren't worse at the law than He is. A Gargauthan in the party can be relied upon to NOT fuck everyone over, in very specific ways, even though you know he'd really like to. The secret to getting along with a Good party is A) kill a lot of devils, and B) have a very nice contract that legally binds you from dicking over the Good guys in most ways, and C) having a loophole that lets you do it when you really want
>>
>>52770215
He is the patron of tyranny, of law and evil.
I'd say that you should try to damn souls to hell and keep your word, lorewise, doing so lets you skip the shittiest parts of devilhood.

Spread the word, mediate deals, respect superiors and command your lessers.
>>
>>52770293
A Bugbear Battlemaster / Mystic / Guardian Ranger with PAM and Sentinel is the biggest fuck you.
>turn into a giant-sized tree and make lunging attacks with a polearm the size of a boat
>they can't run away either because you have animate weapon
>>
>>52770293
Bugbear doesn't work on a reaction.

The biggest 'fuck you's are high level wizards, lucky diviner halflings, nuclear druids, moon druids (especially when multiclassed), oathbreaker paladins in campaigns with very spaced out encounters, observant+perceptionexpertise wisdom rogues when the DM likes to hide everything behind perception, bullshit UA or UA multiclasses other than nuclear druid, rangers/druids in survival environments, flying races that fight at range, fighter sorlocks or warlock firing squads... And more things I'm forgetting.
>>
There are guides from draconic magic for sorcerer's out the ass, is there anything I should go for when playing a Wild Magic Sorc?
>>
>>52770400
A different class.
>>
>>52770281
They're not hard to kill, my 9th level party of five just killed a death tyrant. You need to damage race it and make sure everyone is standing in the Paladin's save bonus aura.
200 HP isn't a lot to take down when everyone is releasing all their best burst damage potential at once.
>>
>>52770400
Just the usual. Pick your sorcerer theme and pick up good metamagic for it.
>>
>>52770400
>wild magic
>literally bent over for your DM the entire campaign
>>
>>52770393
Why do people keep mentioning nuclear druids when these sort of topics come up, as if any DM was actually stupid enough to allow them or as if there were munchkins shameless enough to attempt them?
>>
>>52770513
Huh?
>>
>>52770369
I've made a Gargauthian (kind of a refluffed Warlock but with bard, mechanically) just because of devoted cultists such as you. I dread that I'll never get to play him, but it was still pretty fun to work on his background.

One day though...
>>
The party paladin keeps upstaging me.
what do?
>>
>>52770389
>monstrous race
>multiclassing with two UA classes
Good luck finding a DM retarded enough to let you play that.
>>
>>52770536
fuck his wife
>>
>>52770528
Did you not read how the Wild Magic feature works?
>>
>>52770536
Isn't the point of D&D everyone is upstaging each other?
>>
>>52770536
Make him fall
>>
File: seiyaheartpunch.jpg (44KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
seiyaheartpunch.jpg
44KB, 576x432px
>>52770536
CONSUME HIS HEART AND ADD HIS POWERS TO YOURS
>>
>>52770016
If you magically cross a dog and a human, the result will be stronger than the dog and also more intelligent, but shittier than a human anyway. A Half-Orc is basically dumb muscle for any human settlement.
>>
>>52770566
Why the fuck would they even add that, it's ridiculous. It was already way weaker than the alternative, then they add the 'go fuck yourself' line.

Wizard's wouldn't have to put up with this bullshit.
>>
>>52770584
>genetics is a zero sum game
>>
>>52770536
Turn yourself into being LE
Take his cock up your pussy
Congrats, he is now fallen.

>>52770596
It isn't, but in the case of the half-orc, he really is just dumb fucking muscle to humans.
>>
>>52770595
It's Wizards of the Coast, not Sorcerers of the Coast
>>
>>52770536
Pull ever escalating, harmless pranks on him until he slays you in a frustrated fit of revenge, thus breaking his own oath.
>>
>>52770595
I mean it's a pretty wild feature for sure but you can't pick up a pile of shit and then act disgusted when it's in your hand.
>>
>>52770579
How?
We're doing a homebrew and they've taken a oath of vengeance. I can't see a way of making him fall without getting the rest of the party in on it
>>
>>52770536
How so, story time for best results.
>>
>>52770640
Oh, if he's a Vengeance paladin it's pretty much impossible. They can justify almost anything.
>>
>>52770640
Help an evil lich turn him into a Revenant. Immediately abandon him and sic the goodly churches of the world on his ass while aiding the lich in ascending to Godhood and traveling to other realities entirely, taking you with him. Revenant Paladin will be unable to take his vengeance upon you or the lich responsible for his state; he will be eternally unfulfilled and re-die alone.
>>
>>52770659
No shit, Oath of Vengeance is essentially the final option for a religious group to take in order to fight horrific evil.
It's pretty much fight fire with fire but with divine backing
>>
>>52770659
Vengeance paladins are the easiest to fell.
>>
>>52770513
Are you referring to how Tides of Chaos refreshes itself? You can work out a system with your DM to give you more surges.
>>
File: 1399407173928.gif (802KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1399407173928.gif
802KB, 500x281px
I just can't get a fucking group together. I've been trying for years. Why are people so unreliable? I hate this, I HATE THIS!
>>
>>52770711
>if i kill everyone, incinerate the bodies, and destroy the souls, there will be no one left for the demons and devils to corrupt or for necromancers to raise
Vengeance Paladins are just bad anime villains
>>
>>52770717
Not him but Wild magic surge also depend on your DM.

> Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20
>>
>>52770536
>high charisma character is hogging the spotlight
never heard of this is this some kind of design flaw
>>
>>52770749
>anime
>>
>>52770751
> implying Wizard can't conjure more bones.
>>
>>52770749
Ruin their relationships and cause traumatic damage to their house. After the cost of repairs, they won't have any disposable income to seek other forms of entertainment except you, since D&D is free.
>>
>>52770751
Vengeance paladins are still unable to go full scorched earth since they are about punishing the wicked, and not preventing evil.
They can still commit atrocities that no other paladin would consider but they cannot just go apeshit.
>>
>>52770802
that would be golemcraft, not necromancy
>>
>>52770776
Honestly, I'd just rewrite all the Wild Magic features by replacing DM with you, or make it so that the features activate at the earliest presented opportunities.
>>
>>52770816
>implying anyone is truly innocent
>>
File: 2653454-7381500183-brla_.jpg (43KB, 470x640px) Image search: [Google]
2653454-7381500183-brla_.jpg
43KB, 470x640px
How do I build Spectre Knight? Is he an Oathbreaker Paladin. an Undying Warlock, or an Necromancer with a level in fighter?
>>
>>52770845
Shadow Monk / Battlemaster Fighter
>>
>>52770832
Vengence is about the greater evil, they work down the list of nastiness, as such they will probably never bother themselves with purging a kid who steals bread to feed himself while there is a BBEG somewhere.
>>
>>52770868
10,000 Evil * 1 lich <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 1 Evil * 1,000,000,000 peasants
Evil can't do Evil if there's no one to do Evil with or to
>>
>>52770749
Try using R20's LFG or something
Or go to /pfg/, since they run games
>>
In this case the paladin would still combat the lich since one death causing a drop of 10,000 arbitrary evil points would outweigh one death of a 1 evil peasent.
>>
>>52770868
Not until you meet Grim McChucklefuck, local drunk and bitter old man who took a holy oath to get the kids off his damn lawn, completely oblivious to the greater evils outside his small wayside village
>>
>>52770937
Killing 10,000 peasants is way easier than killing the lich. Just pour some poison in all local wells. There's almost zero risk to you, personally, so you can continue to slaughter evil peasants and purify the world, whereas in fighting a lich you run the risk of getting your ass blasted.
>>
File: off title screen.jpg (27KB, 280x240px) Image search: [Google]
off title screen.jpg
27KB, 280x240px
>>52770960
Have you played this game by chance?
>>
>>52770960
Then that's a falling for you faggot.
Paladin, regardless of oath is not about taking the easy path.
>>
File: giantskeleton.jpg (155KB, 800x386px) Image search: [Google]
giantskeleton.jpg
155KB, 800x386px
>>52771035
>falling for the trap this easily
But Anon, Vengeance IS the easy path for a Paladin
>>
How long do you think it would take a group of 4-6 new players to run through Death House? and if that is too long any suggestions for a one shot?
>>
>>52771085
It's the easiest path to falling.
>>
>>52771035
But in the scenario all the people in town are evil and therefore to be destroyed any way possible. I hate vengeance oath for this exact reason, it encourages a straight forward scorched Earth instead of what I normally see paladins as.
>>
>>52767982
This guy Alfies.
>>
File: 1407256023861.jpg (9KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1407256023861.jpg
9KB, 180x180px
>>52771085
Oh shit you got me

Better roll that wis save -2 since I'm retarded
>>
File: 1489501162285.png (401KB, 573x322px) Image search: [Google]
1489501162285.png
401KB, 573x322px
>>52771146
>5e in a nutshell
>>
>>52767966

So for the Skill Feats, what happens if you already have Expertise in the skill you have the feat for? Do you get to double your proficiency bonus twice?
>>
>>52771088
run donkey kong country, but with dwarves as the gorillas, halfings as the monkeys and gnomes as the oragutang, and make elves the crocodiles.
>>
File: findthebeard.png (600KB, 1110x582px) Image search: [Google]
findthebeard.png
600KB, 1110x582px
>war is terrible but there will never be peace so long as nations continue to fight
>therefore i will wage war against all nations, win, and unite the world in everlasting peace
vengeance paladins are dumb so are conquering paladins
>>
>>52771186
DM FIAT
M
F
I
A
T

and minmaxers a shit
>>
>>52771143
See that's true of all paladins though, they all fight evil, and so all of them can fall to that same theoretical situation.

Thing is most games they will never end up in that situation so it's kinda moot anyway,
>>
>>52768726
Rogue gets like four instances of expertise early. Thats like saying Paladins/Barbs/Rangers extra attack invalidates the Fighters main trick.
>>
File: Sadness.png (98KB, 331x319px) Image search: [Google]
Sadness.png
98KB, 331x319px
>>52771180

>that image

I'm a new DM. How should I feel if my players swear up-and-down that they're loving the campaign, but they can never remember what they did last session? Or any names at all?
>>
>>52769108
Aasimar Sun Monk is basically a super saiyan.
>>
>>52771277
Tell them to PUT THE FUCKING CELLPHONES AWAY, BRAD
>>
File: 1470550376726.png (213KB, 432x324px) Image search: [Google]
1470550376726.png
213KB, 432x324px
>player shows up with a tiefling paladin
>>
DMs, what's your stance on player agency with world-shaking events in your campaign? At least ones that your PCs can directly experience and influence?

Cause my players tend to get themselves into these big events and as a DM, I want to give them the chance to impede the evil archmage from bringing a continent to a post-apocalyptic ruin but as a storytelling perspective, just letting it happen anyway can bring forth a very interesting twist to the campaign and open up some hooks and stuff.

I know it's obvious, let them try and if they succeed, just move on and all but I can't help but think how cool it could've been. Am I being unfair for thinking this?
>>
>>52771289
Is there anything more triggering than someone pulling out a cellphone? A friend of mine pulled that shit and I just stopped the game and told him either to fuck off or put the phone down. Since he was enjoying the game he stopped and never did it again but man it got to me.
>>
>>52771289
I have a bucket for cellphones, and I put mine in first. People who leave it there all day get inspiration dice. I penalize players for using them at the table unless it's an emergency or one of their kids calling. People are taking time out of their week to put this together and scheduling to meet up for this. If you can't be fucked to pay attention the door is that way.
>>
>>52771323
whats wrong about that
>>
>>52771384
>muh conflict with literal inner demons
>>
>>52771384
Probably the same thing with Asimirr rouges
Nothing
>>
what class IS acceptable for a tiefling to play then?
aside from dickassrogue
>>
>>52771435
It's inner devils in 4 and 5E.
>>
>>52771456
Tieflings are only acceptable at someone else's table, faggot.
>>
>>52771456
Anything.
The fags who think you need to pick a class that matches your race are killing fun
>>
>>52771277
Ask if they take notes at all and then have NPCs react of they forget their names. Just like a normal person would, also read the room if everyone is having a good time during the game that's the main thing that matters.
>>
I've grown through Wild Magic so much that I'm now considered to be large. Advice for capitalizing on this? I have a 15 in strength and am a level 7 Sorcerer, so I'm not sure if going the grapple route is worth it, but it would mean I could make my size class huge with an Enlarge, meaning I could grapple gargantuan's.

>>52770393
>moon druids (especially when multiclassed)
I would have thought Moon Druid would suck multiclassed considering how good their level 20 is. What are people dipping into?
>>
>>52771435
im pretty sure 5e tieflings by raw have no connection to fiends other than a distant ancestor being SATANED
>>
>>52771289
But all the digital tools man
>>
>>52771519
I've heard monk to get unarmored defense
>>
>>52771485
Just play a good race that can be any class instead of some meme garbage like tiefling and aasimar.
>>
Am I a dick for making a group of martials unknowingly fight undead before giving them any magic or silvered weapons? I plan on them finding a stash of +1 silvered weapons before running into the boss (Ghost) at the end.
>>
>>52771544
Still worst defense than bark skin
>>
>>52771549
Half elf and v.human
>>
>>52771564
how low is their intelligence that they can't figure out they're fighting undead?
you'd think the first nope to occur during one of their deathsaving throws would tip their hand.
>>
>>52770520
Oddly, it does seem some players/DMs seem to think it's acceptable.

>>52770536
Git gud

>>52771277
It's plausible enough that they can't remember exactly everything. It suggests they're not getting into the roleplaying aspect and imagination aspect very well, though, so you should try to make it more immersive, setting the scene, decorating, using lighting, not having them all completely out of character all the time, or whatever.

>>52771519
Monk or barbarian for unarmoured defence, barbarian for resistance to damage, that sort of thing. Heck, maybe even rogue if they turn into something that can use a finesse weapon and use uncanny dodge.
>>
>>52771567
You take the animal's dex and your wisdom it couldn't be that bad
>>
>>52771586
Dwarf.
>>
Fuck you guys, I'm gonna make the best tiefling paladin ever and everyone at the table will love it, including my DM.
>>
>>52771617
Dwarf rogue
>>
How quick do you other GMs keep the pace?
I'm considering having the next game have a similar pace to Paranoia where everything is split decision
>>
File: 1458034635871.jpg (9KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
1458034635871.jpg
9KB, 399x399px
>>52771623
Good luck anon.
>>
>>52771456
Basically: Some people in /5eg/ are easily butthurt about picking a class and a race where the fluff is diametrically opposed. Half-orc wizards, Water Gensai fire-specialized casters, Aasimar Fiend Warlocks, Drizzt clones, etc.

The reason for this is that some people that pick these combos are lazy roleplayers and use these contradictions as the entirety of their character. Bad roleplay makes this shit frequently trite and it triggers parts of /5eg/
>>
>>52771564
First, corporeal undead are piss-easy even if they have some kind of physical resistance. Set those fuckers on fire. If your martials aren't already carrying multiple flasks of oil and torches, THEY ARE BAD MARTIALS and must have come from a system where martials were allowed to do fun things and be effective in most areas of the game rather than not-even-glorified meatshields.

And incorporeal undead are even easier. If you're up against some ghost, spectre, or other form of spirit, the best weapon is... what? That's right, another spirit. Thankfully, all martials have one within them. All they have to do is ignite their fighting spirit and beat the shit out of that stupid ghost.
>>
>>52768806
Rogue
>>
File: dwarfrogue.png (2MB, 1258x756px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfrogue.png
2MB, 1258x756px
>>52771633
Not only do Rogues not have to be chaotic or evil shitheads, but there's nothing out of character with a Dwarf being either.
>>
>>52771671
The opposite is also true, where statfags get pissy when a dorf tries anything other than fights.

Ultimately is depends on the GM and the people you are playing with though as to whether your character is fun.
Key word here being fun and not optimal.
>>
>>52771693
Maybe deugear rogue would work with their enlarge reduce spell
>>
>>52771693
Their a bit too stubby to be extremely stealthy in my opinion
>>
>>52771564
It's less fun if the party doesn't have a chance to prepare for what they're up against, especially if they're martials who don't get a lot of options in combat anyway.
Unless you planned on making them solve problems in-combat to get weapons to fight off the ghosts or whatever.

Also
>+1 weapons galore
I mean... Eh. All that really is is a 'Everybody gets buffed and rolls an arbitrarily higher number, but especially you and you! Then I'm going to up all the monster HP to make it all pointless!'
>>
Okay guys I decided to give my DM a break and let him play for once.
How do I not fuck this up? Also any simple but fun first adventure ideas?
>>
>>52771752
How long?
>>
File: 1418762892942.png (152KB, 340x426px) Image search: [Google]
1418762892942.png
152KB, 340x426px
>>52771752
Feed him the sorcerers familiar
>>
I want to make a menacing bounty hunter who is currently tailing the PCs.

Problem is, I don't really want to give him henchmen since it doesn't really work with the flavor I'm trying to give a lone stalker. How do I make a single guy threatening against a 5-player action economy?
>>
>>52771671
That's pretty much true. I get pissed becuase:

1. They're not taking the game seriously where they're supposed to be fighting shit, not going 'Okay, I make a useless character and hope the DM makes us fight rats all day'.
2. It's often the main thing about their character. 'Oh, I'm a gnome that can WRESTLE PEOPLE. How funny!' .. And it's really just a joke of a character.
3. The point of racial bonuses is it encourages elves to typically be certain classes, but they can do other things. For example, a halfling could be a dexterity barbarogue rather than a strength rogue. If you want to do a contrarian character, it's nice to play something like that instead of just trying to go against the tide.
>>
>>52771782
Give him the hunter ranger's volley attack
>>
How much is too big of a group? I told my firends the limit is 8 players and one DM but I'm worried its too much.
>>
>>52771758
As long as it goes on for.
>>
>>52771782
>I want a stalker to stalk the parties but I don't want him to be logical I want him to be an edgy 'I WORK ALONE' faggot who wants to fucking die
Fixed that for you

You'd have to give him legendary actions and resistance which is fucking stupid, or give him some sort of super-magical haste spell that the players can somehow never get, or he'd have to summon minions, or he'd have to never directly oppose the party.

In any case you're fighting 5e's logic of 'Stop trying to fight alone, faggot.'
>>
>>52771782
Traps. A lot of traps. And not the type that the players just spot before walking into them, but the kind that he can trigger himself if needed to hurt and restrain the party.
>>
>>52771812
8 players is a lot, but not necessarily too much. 4 or 5 is the safe number, but just because it's easier to control. If you trust the players, go for 8.
>>
>>52771812
Never go above 6 unless you don't expect everybody to be there every session.

Five is probably optimal if you can manage five people, otherwise four.

Well, okay, you CAN do seven and eight, but it's really kind of stupid at that point. Some character is likely to be overshadowed by another, everyone will have to compete for screentime or one person will take all the screentime, you won't expect to have more than one or two rounds in combat and so forth.
>>
>>52771782
Why would a lone bounty hunter try to take on a whole party head-on? Have him use traps and attack at range, at least at first to soften them up
>>
>>52771812
>8:1 ratio
fuck me I'm sweating with 5:1 over here
>>
>>52771848
Man what's it like always being turned up to 10 regardless of how reasonable a question is? Just chill dude.
>>
File: asiandwarf.jpg (54KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
asiandwarf.jpg
54KB, 480x480px
>>52771737
Look at this fucker who doesn't know a thing about stealth.

Stay low to the ground. Being short helps. A minor increase in width is nothing compared to an extra foot or two of height; way more obvious. Ducking while standing in profile also increase your apparent width anyway, so short races never have that problem.

Dwarves have a lower center of gravity, giving them greater nimbleness and reaction to speeds.

The greater surface area of a Dwarf gives them more space to store (or conceal) their equipment and loot.

Their broad bearing and wide feet help them evenly distribute weight over a larger area, decreasing the depth of tracks and lessening the risk of breaking up crumbling surfaces, creaking old wooden boards, or bouncing stones around. I bet your dumb ass climbs stairs by walking up the middle, too. God damn. Every sneak knows you waddle up the far edges of the stairs for the least noise, and Dwarves at least understand the physics and architecture behidn it.

And while I'm not going to get into all the other physics shit that makes Dwarves supreme stealthers, I'll leave you with a social aspect: like you, no one else expects Dwarves to be good at sneaking around or to actually be doing it, so you have plausible deniability if ever discovered or if you must wander in the open. Ninjas didn't wear fucking black, they dressed like peasants or servants, because no one suspects anything seeing someone who should be there walking around the grounds at night, but they sure as fuck would notice some dude in all black, nevermind black actually being a shit color for blending in to the darkness. In the same vein, it's easier to sneak onto a construction site with a hardhat and a clipboard than it is in your camo spandex; the first disguise looks like he belongs and no one wants to talk to an inspector.
>>
>>52771782
Make him a druid with some sort of summons, or have him bait them into a trap. With some kind of natural hazard, terrain, or enemy to mess with the party or split them up, the lone bounty hunter is free to harass the party, making him seem much more threatening.
>>
>>52771782
Wait until the party is doing literally anything else, like they're split up exploring some shit or are in combat with other creatures--then fucking shoot one of them and leave.

Attrition is the name of the game. When they're all out of spell slots and healing potions and hit die and you've stolen half their equipment because they couldn't stick anyone on guard duty after such a thrashing, THEN your guy can murdalize them.
>>
File: 1489707084456.jpg (54KB, 320x271px) Image search: [Google]
1489707084456.jpg
54KB, 320x271px
>>52771899
This is just how you get when you've seen a million people ask the same question, even if it's a reasonable question to expect in 5e.
>>
>>52771782
Isn't say some mix of hunter ranger and assasin rogue. Sets traps and attacks from range and is very deadly and kills fast
>>
>>52771613

Is there a single combo that actually goes above 16?
>>
Does anyone have an optimized lvl 15 build for me?
>>
>>52771703
They can only cast the enlarge portion and it has to be on their selves.
>>
>>52771973
you can make it whatever level you like
>>
>>52771758
Pick up one from Tales.
>>
>>52771990
Yah. If you get caught you crush them under your giant boot.
>>
>>52771994
I'm talking about the unarmored defense vs barkskin argument.
>>
>>52771703
>a race with a beard made of VENOMOUS QUILLS
>yeah their ability to get large makes them excellent rogues
>>
>>52772028
Well, you're a druid, so it's reasonable to assume you'll achieve 20 wisdom by level 9, and then you just need at least 12 dexterity to get 16 AC, an every 2 dexterity increases that AC by one.
>>
>>52772007
and if you get caught they enlarge their cock till it splits your ass apart, what's your point.
>>
Would a druid grappler be viable with the new Brawny feat? Are there any forms that particularly lend themselves to grappling?
>>
>>52771544
Unarmored Defense and Natural Armor do not stack, sorry.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016
>>
>>52769854
Ah.Zakaraha

Pre modern clusterfuck Middle East amid academic enlightenment.
>>
>>52772047
And they can go invisible
>>
>>52771866
>>52771898
>>52771881
Ok, heres another question:
Lets say i go through with getting 8 players, would it be better to get characters made over texting/online chats before the game so less time is taken up ir just doing it all in person and deal with it for better results.
>>
>>52772061
So use 10+dex+wis instead. You get to chose. I'd assume that it would take the animal's dex and the druid's wisdom so chose a high dex powerful animal
>>
>>52770132
I've always liked Nerull when you take him as a dude that is just doing his job and FUCKING HATES the undead and necromancy since it actively fucks with his job.
>>
>>52771985
Just go with a rogue that has 5 levels in fighter.
>>
>>52771637
I keep turns to less than 30 seconds per character generally, my monsters typically know what to do. Only times I don't immediately take care of it I have to look up specifics of a spell. But I generally have it down.

For story wise, every session gives SOMETHING, but pace changes all the time plot wise depending on character options. I'd have to have a DMPC to be able to generate the tempo of the group on my own.

But then I am literally playing with myself.
>>
Post lewd anime girls
>>
>>52772126
I prefer in person, but that's just me. I like working the creation part together with the players. Creating them in group or individually with your players over discord or whatever works too. But it's all a question of preference and convenience.
>>
Guys I want your expert opinion on something:

Where do you draw the line on what is or isn't an acceptable concept for a separate class?

Like, does a monk really need to be a distinct class? Could you have just had unarmed/unarmored fighting be viable in the first place and played a fighter? Maybe be an eldritch knight if you want to refluff the magic to be ki or some shit.
On the subject of subclasses, many of them in fact were separate classes in previous editions. Any of them that you feel deserve to be their own class?

Lots of video games are satisfied with just fighter/wizard/rogue. I can understand how that sort of thing can feel limiting but where do you draw the line between that and the "class bloat" that everyone apparently dreads so much?
>>
>>52772126
If you have the option in person.

Making characters alone has an isolating effect on the party. You wont have players talking to each other for advice and youll miss out on players potentially doing joint backgrounds. You also as the GM are more available for questions.
>>
>>52772289
Wait no that was wrong mybad.
>>
File: IMG_0955.jpg (96KB, 750x457px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0955.jpg
96KB, 750x457px
>>52772289
>>
>>52772334
No problem anon we all make mistakes
>>
If I have a rogue/fighter hybrid.

Does extra attack mean that my sneak attack does double the damage/has double the dies?
>>
>>52771456
Tieflings can play practically anything, other than Druid, since they have 3 different stat spread, good racial spellcasting, and potentially flying speed as well.
>>
>>52772357
Nothing says it would do that.
You can only sneak attack once per turn. If you somehow split your extra attack between your turn and someone else's turn you could deal twice the sneak attack damage if both hit, but that's not possible.
>>
What's the best way to bump int by 1 on a dex based martial with the only other odd stats being strength and charisma?
>>
>>52772357
No, sneak attack can only be applied to one attack per turn.

It does mean if you miss your first attack you can try to hit again and use your sneak attack with the second, assuming you're still able to.
>>
>>52772381
Don't do just be dumb and hit things like a regular martial
>>
>>52771985
Paladin 12 / Warlock 3
Tomelock for Shillelagh, max CHA.

Paladin 9 / Lore Bard 6
Same concept, more spell slots

Battle Master 15, Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter
Be McCree

Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 13
Classic Sorcedin, smite up all the time, attack with SCAG cantrips

Warlock 2 / Sorcerer 13
Sorlock, best blaster in the game
>>
>>52772381
Take observant
>>
>>52772406
What stats/feats for the sorlock?
>>
>>52772392
I don't have much to do with the ASIs after my next one and my character is a crafter so high int is useful. I'm doing absurd amounts of damage (1d12+10 at +16 to hit or 1d12+20 at 11 to hit, +4d10 on crit) already and I can't take any more feats to buff ranged damage.
>>
>>52772458
Spell sniper
>>
>>52772471
Well than what the other guy said
>>
>>52772447
I was thinking that or linguist to pick up the language of the natives for when I'm scouting. Arcanist would also be useful to keep my shit dry.
>>
>>52771985
Ones that haven't been mentioned:
Barbarian5/Rogue10 (Strength for grappling, dexterity for extreme tankiness)
Warlock2/Abjuration Wizard13 (Armor of agathys + armour of shadows abuse)
Fighter2/Warlock2/Sorcerer11 (Like sorlock, but much tankier and has a limit break three castings of eldritch blast for more burstiness)
Wizard/druid/cleric/bard 15 (I mean, you've got a lot of spells.)
Cleric1/Wizard14 (I mean, you still have a lot of spells.)
Shadowmonk6/Rogue9
Paladin6/Sorcerer9
Paladin11/Sorcerer4 (Both like sorcadin but more paladin)
Hunter Ranger11/Rogue4, Horde breaker, SS+CBE+High dexterity, heavy crossbow vollies (For AoE spam).
>>
>>52772458
CHA > DEX > CON

Spell Sniper I guess. You don't really need Feats, just focus on maxing your Charisma.

Agonizing Blast and either Devil's Sight or Repelling Blast for Invocations.

Any patron works, but Fiend gives you 7 tempHP when you kill something so that's neat. For Sorcerer type, Draconic is better HP and AC.
>>
>>52771346

I hate that shit, too, but I'm not the DM. I only ever use mine at the table to look up something relevant on the SRD since it's usually faster than pawing through a book.
>>
How feasible would it be to run a game set in The Wheel of Time?
>>
Post lewd anime girls
>>
File: 1488437200246.png (295KB, 608x527px) Image search: [Google]
1488437200246.png
295KB, 608x527px
>>52772864
Fuck off God of Pleasure
>>
NEW THREAD >>52772909
>>
>>52772458
I'd honestly recommend fighter2/warlock2/sorcerer11 instead. Fighter should be your first level.
Defense fighting style OR if allowed UA use close-quarters-shooter for no disadvantage at 5ft and +1 to hit with eldritch blasts, 15 strength for armour, 16 con, level charisma to 20 and then dex>wis>int.
Invocations: Agonizing blast then repelling blast (Especially if you have a lot of ranged players) OR devil's sight (especially if others in the party use magical darkness, i.e. shadow monk or someone else with devil's sight, or if you lack darkvision i.e. playing human for spell sniper)
Grab hex, armor of agathys or really whatever. The spells are less important.
Metamagics definitely needs quickened spell, but do get twinned spell as well and maybe heightened spell.

As said elsewhere, fiend is probably best but if your DM is an idiot you might be able to use UA and thus you could go hexblade or seeker (Hexblade is probably best there though, and then you can not bother getting levels of fighter since you get armour anyway).
Sorcerer as mentioned before is dragon sorcerer, but if UA is allowed you could even do something like sea sorcerer.
>>
>>52771862
>traps
>give the players themselves crippling hard ons

Ingenious
>>
Is it possible to make STR based rogue in this game? I want to make a really brutish orc/half-orc criminal/thief/rogue type character
>>
>>52772649
You would probably have to cut and change a lot of the classes, any kind of spellcaster outside of wizards and maybe sorcerers would have to go, and you would have to make some distinction between male and female spellcasters. Obviously the only races would be humans and maybe ogier.
>>
>>52773012
Barbarian5/Rogue the rest of the levels, use shortswords and drop a shortsword if you wish to grapple someone. Expertise in grappling.
Wolf barbarian if you have teammates who engage in melee, bear otherwise.
>>
>>52773016
Also he'd need to figure out a buff system for anyone who became a Warder
>>
File: Beaupied.jpg (14KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Beaupied.jpg
14KB, 256x256px
>>52773012
Yes. Sneak attacks work on finesse weapon, which are weapons that can be used with Strength as well. Rogue/Barbarian is a pretty good multiclass, as well, with synergy SneakAttack/RecklessAttack.

One of the concepts I want to make is a half orc corsair, pic related.
>>
>>52773012
>>52773045
Oh, also, an alternate suggestion is fighter5/rogue the rest of the levels using shield master and a rapier, wearing heavy armour. Expertise in athletics again.
>>
>>52767982
>>52768010
Why not both?

How many hobgoblins is too many to throw at 3-4 level 1 characters? Should I just use one ir two of them for a boss encounter?
>>
>>52773395
2 at most unless your PCs are really good or really lucky, that 18AC and psudo-sneak attack seem pretty spooky against level 1s, even if the gobs themselves only have 11HP
>>
>>52773395
Yeah like 1-2 would be what you need to do, Martial Advantage can one shot level 1s.
>>
File: k20 wtf.jpg (109KB, 872x544px) Image search: [Google]
k20 wtf.jpg
109KB, 872x544px
>>52767966
Ok i may be retarded of something but i'm fucking losing my mind. I'm prepping cos and FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANNOT understand how is K20 connected to any of the rooms on this floor, because other that i don't seem to find a way to have the players arrive in that staircase.

Again i will fully accept roasts for this but whatever you do tell me what the fuck am i not seeing.
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.