[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 486
Thread images: 67

File: Reverse pickpocket.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Reverse pickpocket.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Feats for skills
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52751120

So, the new arcana. What do you think?
>>
>>52757921
>So, the new arcana. What do you think?
A bunch of poorly thought out "feats" most of which should just be base features of proficiency in a skill.
>>
It's alright. I would allow all of them but I don't see me ever taking them as a player.
>>
>>52757921
More bullshit rushed out at the last second
>>
General reminder that at all levels the daily encounters is more like 3-6 than 6-8. Taking level 7, for example, a medium encounter is up to 1099 XP per PC and the daily budget is 5000 XP per PC, so you can exhaust the budget in 5 encounters with none of them being Hard. Even at the minimum 750 XP per PC, it's only 6 and 2/3s.

>>52757921
It's called planting. The UA even calls it planting.
>>
>>52757921
Our group is REALLY light on roleplay and I'm not too crazy about that. What do you guys do to encourage roleplay to a greater extent? Or DM tends not to stress anything in between encounters. Downtime really only occurs in between sessions
>>
>>52757921
>expertise without level dipping
+1 to relevant stat
>minor utility feature to keep things interesting
They're fine. Not great, but more than acceptable.
>>
Please take the survery. We know that WoTC actually looks at feedback, because loremaster.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9
>>
Convince me to play an oath of devotion paladin, /tg/. They look so drastically worse than the other oaths.
>>
>>52758042
What did they do with loremaster?
>>
How many 5th-level spells would be reasonable for a Spell Points system?

I'm tinkering with numbers, I have 3 at 11th and 9 at 20th, is it yet too much?
>>
File: disgusted_face_42.jpg (7KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted_face_42.jpg
7KB, 250x200px
>pre-generated equipment
>archetypes with 0 customization
>requirements for multiclassing to compensate for frontloaded classes
>ranger gets full spellcasting because wizards can't make it viable otherwise
>monks get magic (ki) powers because wizards can't make it viable otherwise
>fighter gets magic because wizards can't make it viable otherwise

Could this edition honestly be any worse? The only good part of it is the proficiency mechanic. I won't even go into how retarded the damage / hit points / challenge rating structure is.
>>
>>52757921
Quite shit. As said seem to be slightly rushed, and the ribbons tacked on should be a feature of having proficiency in that skill anyways, given a reasonable DM and imaginative players.
That said, I love feats that increase ability scores and what amounts to expertise is nice.

If I start running a proper game any time soon I might consider giving everyone one of these feats to start, but they can only take one relevant to their background or if it really helps the character concept.
>>
>>52757992
Talk to the group about it. See if that's the kind of fun they want to have. I think minor systemization is a good way to encourage people into more freeform stuff.
>>
File: Bait11.jpg (61KB, 680x649px) Image search: [Google]
Bait11.jpg
61KB, 680x649px
>>52758039
What the fuck is this bait.
>>
File: stalkerlounge.jpg (546KB, 1409x2483px) Image search: [Google]
stalkerlounge.jpg
546KB, 1409x2483px
>>52758063
It could be 3E.
>>
>>52758039
Yes, yes its a fucking travesty and we are all beaten housewives who keep coming back. Now fuck off and find a game you like enough to talk about instead of wasting your time talking about ones you don't like.
>>
>>52757992
Personally when the party is done and gets to town I ask them "what do you guys want to do" and that will dictate where and what they do.

To help encourage rp I try to mix in potential quests and perks for getting to know locals, like befriending the owner of a shop could net you a discount on their items. Later it might lead to you helping them and getting a bigger reward.

Also another way I encourage rp is give them a chance to find alternative ways to solve a quest by introducing hints on who to talk to.
>>
>>52758063
>>
Is there any kind of centralized religion in Forgotten Realms? I see a lot about deities, but not so much about actual religious institutions, which I imagined would be quite important for governing paladins, clerics and the like.
>>
>>52758057
They essentially said "loremaster was a mistake, here, take a look at war magic instead".
>>
>>52758061
A warlock gets 3 5th level spell slots at level 11, refreshing on a short rest.
>>
File: 1491511374865.jpg (51KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491511374865.jpg
51KB, 600x604px
>>52758039
>>52758063
>>
>>52758130
Did they actually say that, or are you just reading into things?
>>
>>52758129
If the gods get along then their churches tend to as well is about the extent of it I think.
>>
>>52757921
Just gonna reiterate what I said last thread about this shit. Every time they seem to try to touch feats with skills they end up taking away from the skill more than the end up adding interesting options. This shit is even present in the PHB from the start:

>Grappler: I can't try to hold a creature down pinning them without training? What the fuck?
>Observant: I couldn't just read their lips with a perception check?
>Keen Mind: The only thing not retarded about this feat is +1 Int

While its nice to have some more options to get +1s to ability scores at level 1, I generally just don't like the direction of these feats, reminds me of some of the retardation in 3.PF's feats and that's not a good direction to go in.
>>
>>52758121
He is retarded. No, he isn't pretending, but he thinks he is.
>>
>>52758149
That is what is being read into, "Based on the feedback we got from Loremaster, here's War Mage"
And you can see which parts of Loremaster the War Mage has.
>>
>>52758149
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited

>War Magic is an option we’re exploring after reading your feedback on Lore Mastery and seeing interest in a war mage option.
>>
>>52758104
It could be 4e, also, which is a vastly superior game.

> AC actually scales with level
> class balance
> no retarded spell slots and vancian casting
> minions so you can actually fight shit

All 5fags can do when confronted with the superior black cock of 4e, is go "muh bounded accuracy!!" without realizing that 4e also had bounded accuracy and that a level 20 fighter getting exactly 0% better at defending himself against gnolls and orcs, is not a sign of good game design.
>>
>>52758093

How much can you even lift in 5e?
>>
My party currently has some problems "sticking to the script" as it were.
I feel like I'm the one constantly taking the lead and pushing the plot forward. The DM is railroading a bit (we currently have a contract that none of us signed, but we're honor bound [well 3/4ths of us; the others are "don't care lol" and a mercenary who owes us a favor]) and I'm constantly saying things like "Let's just get this over with and we can voice our displeasure later to the one financing the operation."
And if I step back then nothing will get done, but I think that might be a good idea. I think I'm just happy because I'm a forever DM and I finally get to play.
>>
>>52758063
Eldritch knight is the worst choice for fighter though.
>>
File: why.jpg (23KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
23KB, 288x499px
>>52758175
I'm sorry ... you think AC scaling with level is ... a good thing? Son, you are literally retarded.
>>
File: 89834_donald-trump-laughing.jpg (46KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
89834_donald-trump-laughing.jpg
46KB, 640x470px
>>52758175
>4rries delusional
If it was such a good game, how come it was such a failure?
>>
>>52758175
>no vancian casting
But AEDU is super vancian. Well, more vancian than 5E's "everyone is a spontaneous spellcaster" version, at any rate.
>>
There's literally no reason to take the acrobatics feat when mobile let's you ignore difficult terrain as a passive ability...
>>
>>52758193
Not when Samurai and Knight exist
>>
>>52758172
>>52758173
IIRC, they said the war mage was based on feedback that specifically expressed an interest in War Magery. Not criticism of loremaster (though there was a ton of that).
>>
>>52758175
>without realizing that 4e also had bounded accuracy
4E has a treadmill. It is a well-tuned treadmill, but it's still a treadmill.
>>
>>52758222
Ssssshhhhhhh it's ok, wizards has no fucking clue what they are doing.
>>
>>52758175
All 4e fags can do is spam 5e threads because their game is too shit to have threads of its own.
>>
>>52758222
Mobile lets you ignore it when you Dash only. Meaning that you shouldn't take Acrobat as a rogue when you could take mobile. For others it's... okay-ish, especially if you're not Strength-focused but really but want to escape grapples and such easily.
>>
>>52758173
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited

>theurgy

mah dick, fuck what would be a fun god for this shit
>>
File: arrowoftotaldestruction.jpg (38KB, 580x420px) Image search: [Google]
arrowoftotaldestruction.jpg
38KB, 580x420px
Has anyone good stories or ideas for improvisational uses of objects, mundane or arcane?
I like being prepped as I can and often buy a pile of stuff that just goes in the Bag of Holding, just in case.

>>Find glassblower in city
>>Employ him to create small baubles that can be corked
>>Fill said baubles with oil or alchemist's fire
>>The intention was to have a nice ranged effect with my slingshot
>>Only use I can recall is dropping an oil filled one in the middle of a ball to create a distraction
>>Didn't really go any where anyways

Do you have any experience of somebody cheesing it with grappling hooks and ropes or maybe a weird enchantment that ended up being useful in an outside of the box way?
>>
>>52758228
It is correct that they do not say the loremaster got negative feedback. That is an interpretation that has been read into what they did say.
>>
File: ____skeptical_girl.png (493KB, 481x541px) Image search: [Google]
____skeptical_girl.png
493KB, 481x541px
>>52758210
>your character getting better at hitting with level makes sense
>but your character getting better at defending himself with level, doesn't.

Um.
>>
>>52758193
Also this. Eldritch Knight doesn't exist to make fighters viable. It exists to fill a role people will always want, the fighter/mage. It's such a popular concept that there is also the bladesinger archetype for wizards.
>>
>>52758255
Used a ten foot pole as an axle that broke on a wagon once. Also used a halberd.
Ball bearings are useful.
>>
>>52758216
At least I only have four types of spells to keep track of instead of nine.

>>52758246
Actually there is a healthy 4e general going on fairly often. We just don't have it constantly like 5e and PF fags because it allows for actual discussion, not just "lol r8 my latest homebrew race on pretty background I ripped from some 5e homebrew tool on Reddit"
>>
>>52758233
>play 5e
>just another 5 levels until you get 5% better at hitting, anon!
>>
>>52758179
However much makes narrative sense to you and your DM.
>>
>>52758193
>Eldritch knight is the worst choice for fighter though.

Prove it.
>>
I have a totem barb

He has a spirit guide, that trained him, an orc that turns into a wolf.

He knowingly uses berserkers axe and killed a friend. He also does drugs.

I plan on taking away his totem abilities after he wakes up while traveling. The spirit guide tells him to follow the path he is on - the party will encounter a powerful dire bear. The dire bear is corrupted and has a breath weapon.

After killing it, if the player rejects the teachings about evil corrupting, the dire bears spirit is not purified and becomes his new guide, restoring his abilities
>>
>>52758315
>what's my bonus to hit?
>whatever makes narrative sense to you and your DM

>how many hit points do I have?
>whatever makes narrative sense to you and your DM

>2024
>D&D's rules have been utterly destroyed by this line of thinking
>>
File: 1480553488768.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1480553488768.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>All the 4ers in this thread
>All the idiots taking them seriously

I don't know to more disappointed in desu senpai.
>>
Where do you guys go to find online games? Me and a partner are looking to join a game as players. Is there a better place to search for a group than Roll20?
>>
>>52758185
Try asking another player (in-character) what the party should do. It'll keep things moving but also give someone else a chance to contribute and steer the campaign where they want.
>>
>>52758411
Craigslist
>>
>>52758411
>online games
Why would you submit yourself to this garbage?
>>
>>52758292
>At least I only have four types of spells to keep track of instead of nine.
If you're tracking recovery, you only have to track short rest and long rest. If you're tracking 'spells prepared', you have up to 4 encounter, 4 daily, and 8 utility that can be any of at-will, encounter, or daily. So you can have up to 16 distinct resources, at late epic.
>>
>>52758461
You don't prepare spells in 4e, though, dumbass.
>>
>>52758255
I used a grappling hook to attack a shark from the deck of a ship, once.

It wound up being a complete waste of time because my DM doesn't seem to like improvised weapons. I did no damage and didn't restrain the shark. All it did was waste two of my turns and force me to have to make Athletics checks to not get pulled off of the deck by the shark, despite me having higher Strength than it.
>>
>>52758255
>spike bear trap into the ground
>affix flint and tinder to its closing mechanism
>fill void of trap with oil
>disguise
>>
>>52758110
>>52758090
Basically IC communication is non existent. OOC is nothing but metagaming. I've tried having conversations IC and it just ends up with dick jokes and immature shit because they're too embarrassed to engage the game. I was thinking I would just stop responding OOC and try to get them to start IC play.
>>
>>52758411
I use the gamefinder thread. Might also try the discord.
>>
File: Good ol oily.jpg (38KB, 200x242px) Image search: [Google]
Good ol oily.jpg
38KB, 200x242px
How do i justify a wizard(theurge) that worships best god?
>>
>>52758495
>Sending anyone to the discord

Why do you hate him? He just wants a game to play in.
>>
>>52758467
The airquotes are there for a reason.

Also, the wizard could still literally prepare spells.
I'm actually a 4rry that likes 5E
>>
>>52758515
more like grey-hawkingaloogieathowbadheis
>>
>>52758515
>I am a wizard who was raised in a very (insert deity here) household.
>>
>>52758515
Insane self worshipping wizard that may or may not be Olly.

Never removes mask.
>>
>>52758210
From the 4e book:

>Level Modifier If your new level is an even number, everything that’s based on one-half your level becomes better—your attacks, defenses, initiative, skill checks, and ability checks.

Change half level with proficiency, and I can see that being a variant rule for a more "PCs are exceptional beings" kind of game.
>>
>>52758492
This tends to help a lot, at least it did for me.

When I started playing D&D again in college (I had not played in a few years) I was more on the OOC dick joke side, but the group I was in pretty much stayed in character 75% of the time and it really helps to have those guys around to keep the mood and pacing of the game.
>>
>>52758551
>Never removes mask.

It would be extremely painful 5e.
>>
>>52758495
It looks like there's not currently a gamefinder thread up. Where can I find the link to the discord, if you don't mind?

>>52758428
Tough enough to find times to meet up with our current group. We're confident we can still have fun even if the game has issues.
>>
So, I'm a bit late on the UA train, but I've been going through the old UA Monk, and correct me if I'm wrong, but:
RAW, the wording for Kensai is terrible because the benefits refer to a Kensai weapon, but the only Kensai weapon that is also a Monk weapon in Shortsword, so you're pigeonholed into that weapon in order to gain the benefits of the martial arts class feature.

That, to me, and presumably to most of us, doesn't seem to be the intention of an eastern weapon-using martial-esque tradition, right?

How would /5eg/ feel about adding an explicit line to say that Kensai weapons are Monk weapons? It could open up some fairly interesting, if less-than-optimal, avenues (dex-spear users, for instance)
>>
>>52758175
>4e had bounded accuracy because people seem to think that bounded accuracy is good and I like 4e

It's ok if you don't know what bounded accuracy is. Just don't talk about it until you've looked it up.

Everyone in 4e received uniform bonuses to everything based on their level, never stopping until max level, meaning that any monsters too far above or below your level were completely unusable. Often they had to print recolors of monsters with all the numbers higher ow lower, Elder Scrolls style, so that different parties could fight them. That is what unbounded accuracy looks like.
>>
>>52758660
>meaning that any monsters too far above or below your level were completely unusable.

So anything that needs an 18+ to hit you, is completely pointless? Kill yourself, AC might as well not exist then.
>>
File: 1490982105012.jpg (30KB, 265x417px) Image search: [Google]
1490982105012.jpg
30KB, 265x417px
>>52758619
>>52758515

>Trickery wiz
>Casting through dupes
>Literally controls the whole battlefield
>Seven proxies etc.

This may be the best 5e meme ever.
>>
>>52758659
Mearls and Crawford back and forthed on the matter a bit but did say it should say Kensai weapons are monk weapons.
>>
File: dragon wreath.jpg (63KB, 512x635px) Image search: [Google]
dragon wreath.jpg
63KB, 512x635px
>>52758719
Appreciate it. Have a baby dragon
>>
>>52758282
Ball bearings and caltrops are great.
>>52758481
That's really unfortunate.
I remember I tried to fight some dudes in a smithys once and grapple and put him head first into the forge
but it wasn't going well, eye roll from DM and party, so I quit and just hit him until he died. I was given a premade Champion Fighter and just wanted to spice things up
>>52758486
I love that, combines two trap/hazard effects really nicely. It's not very difficult to pull off with a couple of checks.
>>
>>52758710
But anon, diamonds are the hardest metal known to man!
>>
>>52758818
>never heard of Dragonforce
>>
>>52758849
You just made me physically ill. I have to go vomit now. You win anon.
>>
>>52758329
fighter are meant to fight, it's in their name. sure when they level up they get extra attack so as eldritch knight they can cast multiple spells a turn, but they dont even have they many slots. battle master and champion (im just listing the player's handbook info) are far superior to eldritch knight.
>>
File: cap.jpg (7KB, 168x299px) Image search: [Google]
cap.jpg
7KB, 168x299px
>>52758255
>>52758790
On a similar note I was looking into making a Captain America style build, using a shield as a weapon.
I was thinking it would either be a Battlemaster for maneuvers. An Eldritch Knight could also work with the weapon bond to the shield and little refluffing of spells, I mean Shield is there thing.
Also Kensai monk could work if the shield could be a kensai weapon but that requires DM fiat.
Fighter is probably the best option since they get enough ASI to take up feats that make it work.
>>
Physically and/or ethnically speaking, what would be a common inhabitant of Candlekeep.

I wanted a librarian and found that place as a coherent place to be from, I imagine my character as fair skinned and shit but I'm not finding any ethnical reference about the place.
>>
>>52759125
I would imagine that a cloistered scholar of Candlekeep could be any ethnicity you want, having come from elsewhere to study or whatever their backstory warrants.
>>
>>52759125
>forgettable realms

Who really cares?
>>
How can I run something like Spelljammer in 5e?
>>
>>52758329
Because you only get to 4th level spells, at level 19. You are better off just multiclassing to wizard for 7 levels so you actually have full spell selection instead of just two specific schools, and taking 13 levels of a better fighter option.
>>
do you guys use pictures when you describe environments in your campaign?
>>
>>52759259
Whats the break down for actual games?

Talking about this fantasy world where there are more levels than 12 in this game is tiresome.
>>
>>52759278
Yes

I run on roll20 and like to use background images all the time to set the scenes. I find its far better than having them stare at a grid all day and it also helps for organization with having NPC tokens appear on the locations that they currently are at (useful for towns and such to make them memorable)

Pic very related for my last session.
>>
>>52757921
It's pretty good, free skill + expertise + 1 to stat. Not bad at all.

>Menacing Gunslinger
Why are we not excited about this?
>>
File: 04065faf09e6fd42dd72b72feb9ced0f.jpg (266KB, 766x1042px) Image search: [Google]
04065faf09e6fd42dd72b72feb9ced0f.jpg
266KB, 766x1042px
>>52758551
What mask?
>>
File: 1488070146585.jpg (171KB, 1024x606px) Image search: [Google]
1488070146585.jpg
171KB, 1024x606px
>>52758044
Oath of Devotion plus Great Weapon Master to offset the -5 to hit.

Tell your DM to use the flanking and facing rules from the DMG, suddenly 5e turns into a tactics-lite game during encounters.

Encourages party tactics by always trying to have advantage (use your GWM feat) and it let's the DM show off that some monsters or enemies are just brutal savages, or cunning tacticians, in a meaningful manner.
>>
>>52758044
Their channel divinity cha to hit pairs well with great weapon master. Good against creatures with a frighten aura like dragons because of their aura feature. Most well rounded paladin archetype.
>>
>>52759388
>flanking and facing rules
Do people actually allow this? Its far too easy to get into a flanking position in 5e and most of my group agreed they would rather not be TPKed by monsters outnumbering them with flanks, but I am also open to hear other's thoughts on this.
>>
>>52758382
Taking away players powers is shit. Rather show his guide wants to deal with the corrupted thing in exchange for more powers.
>>
>>52758382
>He also does drugs.
Will the bear show him "Reefer Madness" too?
>>
>>52759287
Probably 8 fighter/4 wizard at 12th
>>
>>52759446
Don't make every battle an open field. Throw in terrain features like ruins or corridors that can prevent flanking. PC's can always put their back to a wall to prevent flanking.
>>
>>52758273
>What are hit points?

No Anon. It is you who are the retarded.
>>
>>52759446
It adds a dimension of realism. A mob if goblins is now a little bit more dangerous.

Opportunity attacks actually happen now. Actually we have to ration our Reactions, do you want to save it to turn around if an enemy tries to attack your rear, or use it to strike another enemy trying to leave your reach?

We also play on a grid, so we can easily see what's happening. Room layouts matter a lot now. Corners, choke points, keeping your back to a wall, or fighting back to back with a partner all become valuable. Grappling to drag an enemy that's flanking a team mate is a thing. It opens up a lot of creative channels.

If your group is already used to the normal rules I'd recommend trying it out for a session or two, it might bog things down a little at first but it should pick up after a while.
>>
>>52758515
Leira and Mask is the goddess of Ilusionists
>>
>>52758619

You're a big anon
>>
>>52758275
Bladesinger best wizard archetype. Free +int to AC? Yes please.

Only downside is you have to play an elf or half elf.
>>
>>52759515
I always use terrain features in my games when I can (even when just scrawling on the r20 board, unless its a desert)

>>52759582
I certainly would like to see more of that because I notice movement is much more sparse in 5e once people get in melee combat (which is why I love the Maneuvering Strike BM maneuver), but ultimately I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing them to like it when the change largely benefits the GM more than them. I'll bring it up regardless but at the end of the day I'm not gonna force it on the group.
>>
>>52759628
War Mage Human with Mobile feat is better.
>>
Post lewd anime girls
>>
>>52759563
MEAT POINTS
>>
>>52758063
What would (you) rather have? Share with the class.

Besides recognition for being a bitch, of course.
>>
File: 1491475224535.jpg (772KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
1491475224535.jpg
772KB, 1900x2640px
>>52759634
If your group is smart Flank+Facing is a great way to get advantage on attacks as often as possible. And it spices up combat. If you sell it to them that way they might be agree.
>>
File: 1481631247506.jpg (63KB, 643x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481631247506.jpg
63KB, 643x1000px
>>52759653
>>
>>52758255
Arcane Trickster can use just about any item with Mage Hand Legerdemain. Put a bucket on someone's head, blind them, and sneak attack w/advantage. Soap in a casters mouth to block verbal components. Put manacles on someone's ankles w/o them noticing.
>>
>>52759582
Gobbos in mobs can already kick the shit out of many things, given the narrow accuracy band and enough numbers.
>>
>>52759647
First ability for Bladesinger is Light Armour, 1 Weapon and a skill. Light Armour is worse then Mage Armour but saves a spellslot, the others aren't really a big mechanical boost. War Mage's ability is +INT to Initiative which can't be replicated by anything. So I think War Mage wins this one but neither are glorious.

Arcane Deflection vs. Bladesong. Bladesong obviously wins unless your Wizard's figured out something to use his Bonus Action for every turn.

Power Surge vs. Extra Attack. Power Surge lets you cast a level 5 Fireball at level 6, it's not great but it's pretty damn handy. Extra Attack is shit.

Durable Magic vs. Song of Defence. Durable Magic is pretty fucking good and Song of Defence isn't too bad. I'd say War Mage wins this, but the abilities are too different to really compare.

Deflecting Shroud vs. Song of Victory. Deflecting Shroud +7 to an area is hands down is better then the maybe +10 you could get if you attacked.

So yeah, War Mage seems better.
>>
>>52758255
>that picture
that could be a very anticlimactic way to end a BBEG's fight.
>>
File: 1374870127392.gif (2MB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
1374870127392.gif
2MB, 400x319px
>Players invade a Dragon's lair
>Find an entire Arcane Demonic Library
>Find a captured Mage translating it for the Dragons use
>Mage warns players that Dragon likes to play with its food
>Warns players that Dragon is aware they are already there and has eaten every hero that has dared enter his lair
>Lair has themes such as mist, fog and poor visibility
>They decide to try and steal his treasure to bait him into fighting outside
>Go into his Santcum, pitch black, full of mist and fog
>I tell them they see a Dragon sized shadow clinging to the wall 100ft away
>A booming voice comes from that direction laughing at them
>They unleash everything they have at this shadow, including their Dragon Slaying Arrow
>lol jks it was just an illusion did you not get the point the Dragon uses magic and trickery?
>>
>>52759881
did anyone tried to identify the shadow, did anyone tried to detect magic? was there any hint at the possibility of it being a decoy? did they know the dragon had actual wizard powers at all?

i mean, the captured mage did give them some clues but unleashing the arrow with no visual confirmation was indeed very fucking stupid. they'd have had to roll with disadvantage as if the blur spell or something to deter them from risking the arrow.
>>
>>52757921
I think brawny is a lot of fun for grappler builds.
>>
What's a good name and rank/title for a diviner that uses maths and geometry to find truths? Like Euclid the Pythagorean, just not so on-the-nose.
>>
>Be bearbarian goliath with brawny
>Still deal 1d4+Str when through 10 ton boulders
>>
File: 1489249189613.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1489249189613.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
Help me, /5eg/. I fucked up REAL BAD.

>Players meet hillbilly tribe
>Turns out they're all Silver Dragon Sorcerers, been inbreeding for 500 years to keep the bloodline pure
>Only kid in town who isn't inbred (Bard came into town 20 years ago, did his thing and left) offers to bring them up to the Dragon at the top of the mountain in exchange for helping him escape
>Players agree to it, sneak him out and start going up
>After a session they make it to the top of the mountain, start going into the lair
>Make it as menacing as possible, having left hints that the Dragon doesn't take kindly to his legacy of descendants being all inbred hicks in bumfuck nowhere and has been sulking
>Have it all built that he's a Dragon who's been shunned by any of his compatriots for the last 350 years due to being a failure in terms of Dragonblood, and he desperately wants to play a game of wits with someone
>When players ask why he doesn't just kill the hicks and start over, he says "blood doesn't kill blood."
>Kidnaps the kid, drags him deep into the cave
>Players make it, they find the Dragon in human form
>The Dragon brings them in, gives them shelter and warmth, then says he's playing hangman with them for the kid's life
>One player immediately realizes this is out of character for a Silver Dragon, tries figuring it out
>Finds out that the Dragon is hiding the real kid behind an illusory wall, the kid on the noose is a fake
>Calls Dragon on the bluff, Dragon is impressed, gives them a vial of blood for "the strongest warrior you find, to prove my bloodline isn't inherently bad."
>Player doesn't like being tricked
>Player walks over to the resident idiot player (who made a fool of themselves earlier in front of the dragon) and gives the vial and says, "Drink it, or are you scared?"
>Idiot player instantly chugs it
>Dragon is beyond angry
>Starts preparing Cold Breath
>Idiot player steps in front of Player and says "Blood doesn't kill Blood"

I fucked up giving them the opportunity.
>>
>>52759963
>did anyone tried to identify the shadow, did anyone tried to detect magic? was there any hint at the possibility of it being a decoy? did they know the dragon had actual wizard powers at all?

No, no, well it was a large shadowy shape (even more unclear because of poor visibility) and they made an assumption, beyond the mage telling them she was translating an entire magic library for his use...it's going to turn out to be a combination of magic items and spell scrolls. Which the players will get to loot.
>>
So, anyone used Modrons in their games? Did you find a way to make them interesting?

Generally they're treated as more of a joke or as patsies. The whole Tenebrous incident didn't help.
>>
>>52759991
Geomancer.
>>
>partymembers keep multiclassing into shit combos in a low level campaign (we're at level 4 now)
>party mage insists on using shitty debuffs because he wants to be le epic controller, except he doesn't know what he's doing. dips into sorcerer for twin spells that he uses poorly
>Rogue wants to be ranged support/sniper, complains about never having advantage for his awesome (1) attack per round up until level 20 and beyond. literally shoots, reloads and then fiddles his thumbs.
>fighter/cleric uses a rapier, without a shield or any feats that affect combat. 1d8+2 rapier baby, or sacred flame only. nothing else.
>me, a fucking bear druid is the strongest one in the group, both tankiness, damage and versatility

we're playing a fighty adventurous campaign with lots of monsters and cool places to explore.

send help
>>
>>52760021
>Player going out of their way to be creative with terrain other than attack roll all day
>Nope rules say everything is a d4 regardless of size
Do GMs actually do this?
>>
>>52758061
4 Elements Monk and Sorcerer have a system for spell points built into them. Cost is Spell Level+1 points. Level number of points to spend.

Mind you, these two are the two infamously weak classes, so you might not actually want to use that system, but just saying there is precedent.

Also, I think the DMG has a spell-point variant anyways? Why reinvent the wheel?
>>
>>52758063
>Ranger gets full casting
Lolwut? Do you mean Bard? Or are you just very confused?
>>
>>52760154
Lots, I had 5 different 5e GMs and all used 1d4 only
But desu 2 were from AL
>>
>>52760154
You'd be surprised how little people will deviate from the rules, even if there basically are no rules.

People trust what the book tells them, unless it destroys the campaign or personally pisses them off, desu.
>>
Hey /5eg/ so based on how last session went, my players got some orcs into a civil war and they're planning to assault this fortress.

Any ideas on how it should play out? They have a couple orc clans and wizards/druids on their side while the orcs they're fighting have giants,giant bats and undead.
>>
>>52760154
No I would just say I don't you would be able throw it. Whenever these Goliaths throwing rocks come up its always some absurd weight near their maximum lifting weight. You ever tried throwing something you can only just about lift? It usually doesn't go very far.
>>
>>52760125
They're a freaky product of a biomechanical asteroid that crashed onto my world. Allied largely with Rock Gnomes that constructed a puzzle city around the impact site.

Im also thinking of just using them as a weird sort of collecting race of travellers in my Not-Spelljammer campaign.
>>
>>52760154
it's a /5eg/ meme. If you hear about it actually happening to someone in one of these threads, remember that /tg/, like all of 4chan, is mildly autistic.

At that point you're not making an attack with a weapon, you're causing environmental damage which the DM should base on the improvised damage table in the DMG.
>>
>>52760170
>the DMG has a spell-point variant anyways? Why reinvent the wheel?

Yes, it does, it's just that it gives way too much spellslots.
Even if you blow one 6th to 9th spell there's spell points enough to cast 12 5th-level spells, or 19 5th-level if you don't spend the points.

If you want 11th level numbers, spending a 6th level spell, you can still cast 9 5th-level spells, without spending it's 10. Where with spell slots that number is 2.
>>
>>52760140
let them all die and reroll better characters or just leave the group.
>>
>>52758063
Monks have had ki for a while.

The requirements are basically just to make sure you can actually do the class (have a 13 [+1] in main stat). I'll give you unnecessary idiot proofing, but it does nothing about the front loading issue. Proficiencies not being gained does though.

Archetypes do have customization options. Hunter Ranger's techniques for instance. Look harder.

And what do you even mean by pregenerated equipment, do you want to design your own sword or something?
>>
>>52760272
I would be so lucky. Unfortunately our GM is one of those guys that fudge the dice and "miscalculates" the damage when he finds out an attack would drop someone.
>>
>>52758175
Funny thing about the BBC myth is that it turns out Latina and Scandinavians actually have the biggest, with African countries being fairly low on the list.

http://klaq.com/worldwide-penis-survey-heres-the-chart-were-talking-about-this-a-m/

Holds true for 4e too.
>>
>>52760080
Easy solution, what idiot drinks a vial of blood? Clearly there needed to be some ritual involved, or just eating one of his bloodline will stop him too.
>>
>>52760080
That's great. I have low key respect for the idiot player.
>>
>>52758179
It's under carrying capacity rules. Something like 15*strength score I think.
>>
>>52760345
>be scandinavian
>be dicklet

REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52760324
then either voice out your complains or leave. you are supposed to have fun, if everyone is having fun but you then it's probably not the right group for you either way.
>>
>>52758558
Adding proficiency to AC is a bad idea though.
>>
>>52759063
My Captain America build works like this:

LG V.Human Battlemaster-3 Soldier
STR 16, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 14

Longsword +5/ 1d8+3
Javelin +5/1d6+3 30/120

SKILLS: Athletics+5, Deception+4, Intimidate+4, Persuade+4, Performance+4

FEAT: Shield Master
Protection Fighting Style
MANEUVERS: Precision Attack, Pushing Attack, Maneuvering Strike

Standard play is Bonus Action shove to knock prone, then longsword attack with advantage.

Options: Bonus Action Shove with Pushing Attack. Move to follow up then Action: Longsword attack with Pushing Attack. Push enemies away from the party off cliffs and into hazards. Use Maneuvering Strike to get squishy melee like Rogues and Monks out of trouble. Always try to end your move adjacent to another so you can use your reaction to inflict disadvantage to hit your ally.

This build uses Bonus Action, Action and Reaction to defend the party.
>>
>>52758990
>extra attack let's you cast multiple spells a turn
No it does not
>>
>>52758790
Of note, dropping ball bearings and caltrops are actions, but not considered attacks, and as such, familiars can use them.

About all I can find to use my owl for other than Flyby AoO-less help actions.
>>
>>52758227
>Samurai
>3x advantage on all attacks for a round per short rest + resist Slash, Bludge, Pierce damage
>Can be used with Action Surge
>+damage -acc paired with GWM
>Fall to 0 HP, get an action before falling over, can use this to reduce damage via above Resist meaning you don't fall over

Wtf is wrong with you, friend?
>>
>>52759326
So... that's just pathfinder gunslinger for 5e. Which is neat, but not really a thing to be hype about. I'm more hyper for psionics to get their final, polished release.
>>
>>52760407
>SKILLS: Athletics+5, Deception+4, Intimidate+4, Persuade+4, Performance+4

Fighters don't get to pick Deception, Persuasion nor Perfomance, though.
>>
>>52760226
>Absurd
Ok, lets say you can only throw 10% of what you can maximum lift, that's still 600lb with the three stackings (bearbarian, goliath, brawny)
>>
>>52760468
Same actually I'm more excited about a final Mystic release, but I was just excited about a RAW way of making a truly intimidating gunslinger.
>>
Any tips or advice for Trickery Domain Cleric? I know it's consider to be one of the weakest domain due to no extra proficiency and no potent cantrip...

That spell list is so good though....
>>
>>52759991
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmancy
>>
Any tips to finding a good game on roll20?
>>
>>52760154
It does mention use something similar first, THEN if there is nothing similar and it is illsuited for doing damage it is 1d4.

Now, I'd say a boulder is similar to trebuchet ammo, wouldn't you say? So it does trebuchet damage.
>>
>>52760407
>Not multiclassing open hand monk for truer Capt fighting style

So close yet so far away
>>
>>52760190
They get full spells from 2nd level onward.

Ranger is a caster class because it sucks otherwise.
>>
>>52760607
>literally gives you nothing but for losing a level
Nah
>>
File: IMG_7082.jpg (447KB, 987x745px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7082.jpg
447KB, 987x745px
>Downtime in Waterdeep
>Players want to Gamble
>send them to The Gentle Mermaid
>describe the players at various tables playing cards
>Nobles at one table, one table seems to be another adventuring group, there's one that's tourists who wandered in and tourists who came specificly to play here, and a table of elfs
>Elf player picks elf table
>turns out to be contain an old schoolmate of the player whose on a stag party for his friend
>Drunk elves roll two 1's for the charisma portion to players 17
>one drunk elf throws up causing another to run out and throw up as well
>player wins 2/3 rounds walking away with a meager sum but more than they came in with.
1/2
>>
>>52760519
Well its its been a long and hard argument but I will finally concede and give more than the usual d4 damage for an improvised weapon. Have a d6.
>>
>>52760629
>literally gives you nothing but for losing a level

Wat
>>
>>52760265
Hmmmm. monk/sorceror number of points is 2 9th at 20th. 1 5th + 1 4th at 11th.

Maybe a mix of the two? One's spell cost with the other's point total?
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>Assassin Rogue with Longbow due to feat
>Always arguing for surprise round due to max range to get assassinate/sneak attack
>Took proficiency in initiative to always be top of round to get assassinate/sneak attack
>Shitting out between 50-100 dmg per shot
>>
Some dude was asking about fighters with sneak attacks/rogues with maneuvers last thread.
I've made a fighter archetype, int based, and one of the features was extra damage when the fighter met the parameters for sneak attack. The extra damage equated to the dice that battlemasters get, with the same progression and number of uses. Letting you know in case you want to incorporate that in some way.
Personally, I'm more interested in and rogue with maneuvers, because I feel there's room for a lot of new stuff based on what rogues do rather than fighting.
>stealthy strike: add maneuver die to your hide check after an attack/sneak attack
>stinging shadow: add maneuver die to an athletics check to grapple an enemy after hitting with an attack (I'm picturing shanking a guy and dragging him into the shadows)
>flying flurry: if you hit with a thrown weapon attack, add die to damage. Uses two pieces of "ammunition"
>death's grip: if you hit an enemy with a reach weapon, they make an athletics save. If they fail, you can pull them to within 5 feet of you. Add die to damage.
>ensured injury: add die to-hit, before or after the roll (I'm picturing this helping in those times where your sneak attack misses, even with advantage)
>eyes behind: when you attack a target, you can make an attack against a second target within five feet of you. If it hits, it takes the maneuver die in damage
I can't think of any more, but there are some of the base maneuvers that would work just fine for a rogue too (ones that give reach, advantage, etc)
>>
>>52760611
They are a half caster, they only get spells up to 5th level.
>>
>>52760611
it get's half as much spells as a true caster, only reaching 5th spell level at lv17 while a full spellcaster gets to 9th spell level (max) at lv17...
>>
>>52760324
Then take advantage of that! If you literally can't die, then why are you holding back and being sensible about things? Clearly your teammates have caught on long ago.
>>
>>52760664
Are you going to complain about fighters getting 3 attacks and clerics being able to heal people next?
>>
>>52758227
Seriously? Arcane Archer is the worst, everyone knows that.

Also Knight opportunity attack builds are fucking brutal and the Samurai gets the best parts of Barbarian 3 times per short rest on another class. People do seem to forget that Samurai abilities last for 2 of your turns as well.
>>
>>52760664
>Took proficiency in initiative
???
>>
>>52760345
And now i understand why the name Johnson stuck. thanks penisanon
>>
>>52760221
anyone?
>>
>>52760716
Alert feat is my guess
>>
>>52760528
It's a good Cleric. The poison damage resist isn't as bad as people make it out to be because you can still use a Cantrip when you find something with resistance and they can make sure the whole party can ambush people.

Also mega cloning yourself if fun.
>>
Do Vampires in D&D ever "ash" when they're killed?

I need to know for RP reasons
>>
>>52760549
Look at what players are joining the game.
>>
>>52760658
Being a monk gives you nothing
Unarmed armor? no, you already have armor and shield
Unarmed damage? no, you wear armor and weapons which makes your unarmed damage as good as anyone else's
Martial arts? no, see above
You get nothing, not even proficiencies
You lose the level you spent of getting into monk for nothing
>>
>>52760716
I assume he means Alert.
>>
>>52760414
Green flame blade
>>
>>52760749
You mean saying one liners or some racist/sexist commets? Groovy
>>
>>52760664
Any d10 class can do that without investing so much or needing to ambush people.

GWM and Sharpshooter are both brutal.
>>
>>52760770
???
green flame blade doesn't scale with extra attacks at all.
>>
>>52760770
Uses the cast spell action so is relevant... how?
>>
>>52760777
Fuck off boomstick, you know what he meant.
>>
>>52760664
And this is why you don't allow Human Variant because of feats like Sharpshooter/Weapon Master and its abuse potential for Rogues.
>>
File: Ashe.png (280KB, 403x316px) Image search: [Google]
Ashe.png
280KB, 403x316px
>>52760777
I walked right into that. Nice one.
>>
>>52760748
Should I multiclass rogue with it? Should I mainly use a shortbow or longbow as weapon? What are some fun combo that I can use with Invoke Duplicity?
>>
>>52757921
So about this new UA

If I play a rouge with stealth expertise and the new stealthy feat, do I get to add quadruple my proficiency modifier?

Can a level 1 variant human get a +12 to stealth with 16 dex?
>>
>>52760812
no
>>
>>52760812
Only multiply proficiency once, its in the rulebook.
>>
File: Leafy.pdf (208KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Leafy.pdf
208KB, 1x1px
Is this okay? I've never played before. The idea for the character is he's a self hating elf. Trained as a Druid but that turned into Wild Magic for reasons.

His name is supposed to be fucking stupid.
>>
>>52760812
no. refer to >>52755870
>>
>>52760812
No. PHB 173.
>>
This is a vague question, but is there anything on DM's guild that you'd recommend? It's never really talked about.
>>
>>52760835
>three saving throws proficiencies
what the fuck are you doing
>>
File: IMG_7083.jpg (279KB, 745x1147px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7083.jpg
279KB, 745x1147px
>>52760642
>complication roll an 8
>A High Stakes Gambler comes to town and insists you take part in a game
>as player is leaving a Yosemite Sam/Simpsons Rich Texan beckons them to join them for a game
>offers player 1000gp of his own money for a game, if player loses it's no problem
>player accepts and wins 2/3, now has 1,500gp
>The High Stakes Yosemite Texan offers the player double or nothing, win a potential 3,000 or walk away with nothing
>player accepts and wins the Insight check
>Rich Sam Gambler wins the Deception check
>one last intimidation roll and everything hangs upon it
>player rolls a 17
>A chilling laugh fills the room as you uncover your final card which contains a laughing skull on a black field
>"What."
>a spectral cowled figure rises up from the card and flys around the room swinging a scythe
>"What?"
>Roll for initiative
>"What!?"
>slashed the player for 8 damage before being dissapated
>staff is super apologetic "so sorry, This rarely happens."
>reveal the High Stakes Gamblor had rolled a 16
>player leaves 3,000gp richer
2/2
>>
>>52760860
Man I don't know. My buddy just told me to use a website and it did that automatically I think. I don't even know how that works.
>>
>>52760848
i've gotten some free oneshots and some homebrew reasonable equipment options, also MPMB's automatic sheet which are GODLIKE.
>>
>>52760826
>>52760830
>>52760836
>>52760842
oh, thanks for clearing that up so fast.
>>
>>52760611
They have same spell progression as paladins, baka.

Paladin and Ranger are Half-speed magic growth.
Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight are 1/3 speed. 4 Elements Monk arguably is as well.
Warlock is... Warlock.
Everything else but barbarian is full.
Barbarians is the one class who simply have no casting or partial casting option, just like wizards are the only class without a martial or part-martial option.
>>
>>52760835
This is standard array right? Why STR? You need more DEX too, it's your only defense.
I would go
8 STR
14 DEX
13 CON
10 WIS
12 INT
15 CHA

It's better with 27-point buy though.
>>
>>52760664
So a minimum of level 8 to get this working? What's their stats looking like? No need to punish the rogue for playing properly btw, it's good that the player is thinking of creative ways to surprise people.
>>
>>52760801
Longbow if you have the proficiency and 1-3 levels of Rogue are pretty good if you want to be more sneaky.

Invoke Duplicity's cool because it's unable to die and you can cast spells from it. A lot of the coolest Cleric spells are Touch Range like Inflict Wounds and Contagion and you don't need to go near people to use them now.

Also Polymorph all the time, it's a fucking good spell.
>>
>>52760889
I assume you are just talking PHB because otherwise Bladesinger exists.
>>
>>52760835
You should have more proficiency
1 from Elf
2 from class
2 from background
= 5 total.
>>
>>52760629
Lolwut?
>>
>>52760889
>have no casting or partial casting option
totem barbarians do get to cast shit as ritual, i know this because i couldn't believe it when our bearbarian announced out loud irl, "I WILL CAST A SPELL".

and wizards get bladesinger, sorcs get stone if that is what you meant.
>>
>>52760922
On a quick glance, didn't he just use a background that gave a tool rather than a skill?
>>
>>52760860
Get off his dick Cock sleeve he's new to this.
>>
>>52760221
Give them a task to undertake so you can focus on the party instead of trying to run a battle from the get go. A good easy one is to have them infiltrate the fortress and open the gates to let their clan in.
Think about individual things they could do that would turn things in their clan's favor.
>destroy an armory
>find the orc voodoo master that's controlling the undead and kill him
>poison the bat feed
Clan leader calls the party to his yurt, tells them their skills are needed to turn things in their favor, says they have Intel about a secret entrance to the fort. Sewer outlet with a grate that exits on some hill to the side. They crawl through, stab an orc that just sat down in the outhouse in the ass, and they're in the base. They sneak around, avoiding barracks and big groups gearing up, trying to sabotage the main gate, and you put these rooms with the side goals in them on their path and they figure it out, or don't. Then they fight their way out of the fort once the gate is open- slicing up archers on the battlements, giving them guys to fight as they run (keep a constant amount of orcs for each player, depending on level- maybe two or three that replenish each round) or even give them a cart to steal and make a big getaway. They make it back to the leader, the battle happens, you roll some dice to see how many casualties your side had, with modifiers for each of the side quests they completed. Give them a fancy reward.
>>
>>52760898
>Standard arry

I think? Honestly this is a quick and dirty made to help my buddy test some encounters before we start, since the whole group is new.
He's supposed to be a little beefy for an elf. He really hates elves, tries not to look like one. Maybe I'll make it 9 strength, make it 12 con and put it to 14 dex for the bonus?

>>52760922
Welp, thanks.

>>52760944
No those were put onto the sheet and it wouldn't let me remove them. Weirdest thing.
>>
>>52760907
Human Variant feat Weapon Master into Level 3 Assassinate into Level 4 optional rule sacrifice ability improvement for second feat Sharpshooter.

Proceed to start shitting out damage at 500ft sneak attacks, or any range with an ally in combat.

>Creative ways
>implying this isn't' a well known minmax
>>
>>52760868
First thing, Orcpub got an update tell your buddy to use this one from now on.
http://orcpub2.herokuapp.com/index.html

It still got some hiccups but it's better and gives you a fillable PDF instead of that one.

Second, as a druid, you are proficient in Intelligence and Wisdom saving throws not the three you have selected.
>>
>>52760944
It's tool proficiencies vs languages, all backgrounds give you two skill proficiencies
>>
>>52760868
Dude just use the book. It's really easy, especially compared to previous gens
>>
>>52760977
I don't think you know what minmaxing means...
>>
>>52760917
Thanks. We're playing CoS, so I think level 10 is the maximum we will reach.

One level of rogue is probably good for weapon and skill proficiency though.
>>
>>52760986
Oh this is fancy, thanks.
I mean he's a sorcerer. I assume they are also not proficient in what I have selected though.
>>
>>52760947
>Give them a task to undertake so you can focus on the party instead of trying to run a battle from the get go. A good easy one is to have them infiltrate the fortress and open the gates to let their clan in.
>Think about individual things they could do that would turn things in their clan's favor.
>>destroy an armory
>>find the orc voodoo master that's controlling the undead and kill him
>>poison the bat feed
>Clan leader calls the party to his yurt, tells them their skills are needed to turn things in their favor, says they have Intel about a secret entrance to the fort. Sewer outlet with a grate that exits on some hill to the side. They crawl through, stab an orc that just sat down in the outhouse in the ass, and they're in the base. They sneak around, avoiding barracks and big groups gearing up, trying to sabotage the main gate, and you put these rooms with the side goals in them on their path and they figure it out, or don't. Then they fight their way out of the fort once the gate is open- slicing up archers on the battlements, giving them guys to fight as they run (keep a constant amount of orcs for each player, depending on level- maybe two or three that replenish each round) or even give them a cart to steal and make a big getaway. They make it back to the leader, the battle happens, you roll some dice to see how many casualties your side had, with modifiers for each of the side quests they completed. Give them a fancy reward.
Thanks anon
>>
>>52760945
What's a dickcock? Seems redundant. Does it just like, have one penis growing out of another penis?
>>
>>52760969
Standard array means your ability scores are fixed at 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, and you arrange them as desired.

You should check with your DM as to how ability scores are being generated.
>>
>>52760969
>No those were put onto the sheet and it wouldn't let me remove them.
Then it's garbage and you should just fill one out by hand.
>>
>>52761020
Oh that, ya he said point buy.
>>
>>52760977
I have assumed Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, and Alert. Also, introduce some full cover to slow that down a little, they are playing a sniper ya know make it hard for them to see if it's so broken to you.

>>52761012
My mistake anon as a Sorcerer you are proficient in Constitution and Charisma saving throws that's all. Good luck!
>>
>>52761019
He didn't call him a dick cock, he called him a cock sleeve and told him to get off the guys dick.
>>
>>52761012
Yes. Sorceror are Constitution and Charisma.

If you just want a third, there is a feat for that.
>>
>>52758255
Our party routinely rips doors off their frame in dungeons to use as disposable shields or to trigger pressure plates remotely.

One time we killed the big monster at the end of a dungeon by breaking a flask of oil over him and lighting him on fire with a torch
>>
>>52761052
Huh. Most people would prefer you get ON their dick. I know I would.
>>
>>52760664
> surprise round
Doesn't exist in 5e!
>>
>>52760659
I'm not trying to fix monks, that's for another day, but I got some numbers:

Spell of 6th-level and higher can only be cast once per long rest and don't cost Spell Points for that reason.
Spells Cost (per lvl): 2,3,5,6,12 (5 becomes really steep), with the spell points per level being:

Lvl.11 gives 12/8/4/4/2 spells, giving points to another 5th-level on 13/16/19.
Lvl.20 gives 30/20/12/10/5, which sounds way better than DMG's 45/30/18/15/12 or 66/44/26/22/19.
>>
>>52760374
Why? In the context of a "PCs are exceptional beings" game.
>>
>>52761079
Do you have a better name for the first round of combat where one side don't get to move or take actions due to being surprised?
>>
>>52760977
After the first round people aren't going to be suprised. The RAI for Assassins is they only get their critical hit when people aren't defending themselves at all, if people are on alert and know there's someone sniping them in the bushes he only gets Sneak Attack.

Also a real minmax build is Assassin 3/Fighter 5 for multiple Sharpshooter Crits and one with SneakAttack.

The most he can do at level 4 is 2d8+4d6+10 if he crits anyway which only averages 33 damage anyway. A 5th level Fighter blows him out the water with GWM or Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52761035
point-buy give you a bit more room for wiggle. Since odd number won't give you any benefit, you can drop CHA from 15 to 14 and use that it increase other ability score.
>>
>>52758255
I once allowed my wizard to make his Ghost Sound an irritating hypersonic sreech. He centered on the green dragon they were "bargaining" with to attract some giant bats to attack it. It gave them the opportunity to escape.
>>
>>52761113
The person is surprised. Surprised is now something someone is rather then a round that happens.
>>
>>52761113
just plain old surprise. Like in the PHB.
>>
File: peanuts.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
peanuts.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
So the Druid in our party is traveling the world to promote sustainable farming practices and advanced horticultural techniques like crop rotation and shit. His big items are peanuts and potatoes. He has to introduce everyone to the marvels of peanuts and potatoes. As a gag, the DM rolls a d100 every time he feeds someone peanuts, just in case the person in question has a peanut allergy (1% is apparently pretty close to the rate of peanut allergies in a population).

So we beat up the BBEG and are trying to interrogate him about his master plan (blowing up the moon). He won't spill the beans, so everyone decides to rest and take another crack at him once they've memorized the right spells to mindfuck him and tear his cave apart looking for clues. During the Druid's shift to guard him, he makes small talk and feeds the BBEG a PB&J sandwich. The DM doesn't even roll this time until the Druid prompts him.
>1
We're hoping he kept a journal.
>>
>>52761121
Actually +3 damage from Dexterity. Brings it up to a whopping 36.
>>
>>52761049
>>52761060
Appreciated, exam season so I haven't had a lot of time to really sit down and read, just snippits.

>>52761122
I was thinking of doing that but couldn't I take a feat that provides +1 charisma as well as a benefit fairly early? Not really sure how long leveling up takes.
>>
>>52759125
It's on the Sword Coast, which is part of the North, which is home to various kinds of basically white people, from Uthgardt vikings to Amnian mediterranean folks. But there's nothing saying you can't be Shou or Zakharan or whatever if you want to. People do come from far and wide to research at Candlekeep.
>>
>>52761175
Only if you're a Variant Human. Other race get their first feat at level 4, in place of +2 to one ability score.
>>
>>52760835
Remove Friends. You don't have any anyway.
>>
File: 1455242746031.gif (2MB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
1455242746031.gif
2MB, 448x352px
>When you're stuck on a spooky necromancers Island with enemies completely able to TPK
>When your escape route is the Bards teleport
>When he blows the spellslot on a counterspell to save him and only him from going to 0hp
>>
>>52761168
By "crop rotation and shit" do you mean "crop rotation, etc." or do you mean "crop rotation and the use of manure"?
>>
>>52760926
see >>52760756
>>
>>52761141
>>52761139
And yet apparently calling the round in which people are surprised, the surprise round is incorrect? Seems a pretty logical name to me.
>>
>>52761229
The first one. I think it's a given that peasants understand the virtues of manure.
>>
Can an eldritch knight's arcane charge be stopped? And can it be use to dodge?
>>
File: 1490652687886.jpg (417KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1490652687886.jpg
417KB, 1131x1600px
Would you consider the 'Animal Handler' feat to work with a Beastmaster's Beast? essentially fixing the problem with it being an Action to command the beast, now only a Bonus Action?
>>
>>52761227
This is why we never put our faith in the capabilities of a Bard at our table. As powerful as the class can be, it is played exclusively by the sort of people that play Bards, and they cannot be trusted.
>>
>>52761271
Well you have to use it on your turn so I don't see how you would use it to dodge other than moving out of an aoe you know is coming.
>>
>>52761121
>only sneak attack

Its free damage which scales every level, by 7th its 1d8 + 4d6 + 15 at 30-500ft.

Its fairly easy to imagine a Rogue with his +10 to stealth scouting an enemy and getting a free crit at the beginning of every encounter.
>>
>>52761290
Have you tried the Revised Ranger instead?
>>
>>52761265
It's not a surprise round though, it's the first round of combat in which some people are surprised. Think of surprised as a condition, you wouldn't call a round where some people are frightened the "Frightened Round".

I personally don't care much but there's a lot of people who will fight to the death over how it doesn't exist. So in order to avoid shitting up the thread for hours please just avoid using it.
>>
>>52760756
>Only one level
>Not doing five for stunning strike, 1d6 unarmed

It's almost like you responded before thinking.

Hell depending on the DM you could argue to do 6 in monk for the extra heal and another ki point if you get a decent amount of short rests normally.

If I'm running a Capt America I'm fucking going all or nothing for fun.
>>
Hey /5eg/, looking to start a discussion on Eldritch Knights. Firstly, how do you feel about EKs compared to other fighter subclasses? Secondly, I'm building a character and having trouble nailing down what I want to do with him as far as spells, cantrips, and feats.

He's essentially a tanky, stubborn motherfucker that investigates situations involving rogue mages, then eventually hunts them down to mete out justice.

I have my selections narrowed down to these options but since I have never seen many of them in-game, I am curious to their applications and how to better build this character.

>Cantrips: Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, Booming Blade. I do not have Minor Illusion or Mage Hand listed since they are already covered by our party's wizard.
>Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Earth Tremor, Sleep
>Feats: Magic Initiate (would choose Cleric for Guidance and Spare the Dying cantrips, and a sweet Shield of Faith), War Caster, Shield Master, Mage Slayer, Tough

To summarize: how do you feel about EKs? Which feats would be good options, and which are traps? Are there any other spells available to EKs or Magic Initiate fitting this character concept that I missed? Which 2 of those 3 cantrips should I choose?
>>
>>52761309
Hah, i skimmed the Beastmaster stuff in the Revised Ranger, assuming it would be equally as shit. Thanks mang
>>
>tfw trickery theurge
>>
>>52758210
>>52758558
I know it's the exception rather than the rule, but certain monsters can take the Parry reaction, and there exists the Defensive Duelist feat. What do you guys think would a game where everyone gets Defensive Duelist for free would be like?
>>
>>52761313
Fair enough, from now on I will just always call it 'the round formerly known as the surprise round' otherwise known as 'the round in which people are surprised.'
>>
>>52761374
No prob famalam.
>>
>>52761370
>an EK with SCAG cantrips, Shield, and Absorb Elements
>>
>>52761317
>d6 unarmed
You are holding a shield, you will not be doing d6 unarmed.
>>
>>52761381
some people. you need to add some people in there.
>>
>>52761375
>middling cleric domain

>best wizard domain

explain this.
>>
Needs a ruling that Carry capacity as one size larger doesnt stack
>>
>>52761428
He won't be doing anything unarmed because if he's holding a shield he's armed. :^)
>>
>>52761425
Whats wrong with that?
>>
>>52761370
My feeling on Eldritch Knights is... I wish they were more like the Duskblade that they're actually based on from 3.5E, which is where Eldritch Knight also came from. Duskblades were more like half casters, since they got 5th Level Spells (but also had Cantrips). However, they were limited to choosing mostly Offensive and Defensive magic... sound familiar?

Hell 5e doesn't even have an Arcane Half Caster yet.

And Duskblade lead to one of my few Pathfinder loves, the Magus, which is the perfect fucking gish.

I have a lot of trouble with, while they have the Fighter chassis to fall on, their Caster side is so pathetically limited.
>>
File: getterthefuckout.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
getterthefuckout.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>52761445
needs a ruling that you're gay and need to fuck off
>>
>>52761454
I'm not claiming holding a shield is being armed, martial arts just says no armour or shield.
>>
>>52761307
It's 2d8+8d6+13 because he used two feats and longbow damage gets doubled. So 36 damage. Wow.

If he crits then it's an average of 59.

A 7th level Fighter does 4d6+28 damage every round even if he has no advantage. So 42 damage all the time.

A 7th level Elritch Knight does 4d6+28+Greenflame Blade for 46.5 and 4.5+INT to a second target.

A 7th level Barbarian does 4d6+32 with Advantage on both of those for 46.

If the fact he's at Range is an issue and you play NPC's as to dumb to hop in cover then imagine how you'd handle a Sharpshooter Fighter. Maybe try limiting range with factors like fog, rain, winding roads and inside combat?
>>
File: 1466430443063.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1466430443063.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
>>52761292
>sort of people that play Bards, and they cannot be trusted.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>52761300
During your turn, you triggered a dangerous trap/spell. Can you use it to escape the situation? Or when you ready, can you set it to use action surge to dodge and strike?
>>
>>52761317
>5 levels
Its like you want to waste even more levels to get even less
>1d6
You have armor and you hold weapons, you aint going do deal 1d6 unarmed, or make an extra attack due martial arts, you get at best stunning strike, but 5 levels are not worth that like at all, those are 5 levels you lose from battlemaster which gives you similar stuff without hindering you in everything else
>>
>>52761473
>5e doesn't have an arcane half caster
Bladelock with the UA invocations. Especially Hexbladelocks.
>>
File: 0012-1277014064719.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
0012-1277014064719.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>>52761492
>Taking the average

Disgusting.
>>
File: bkubgun.png (240KB, 662x540px) Image search: [Google]
bkubgun.png
240KB, 662x540px
>>52761497
All Bard players are memeing fucks who cannot be given even an ounce of responsibility.
>>
>>52761473
I'm totally fine with the fighter chassis using a limited casting ability to augment his prowess. Fighter is already very strong, though I am worried about casting a cantrip and missing out on those sweet extra attacks which is one of the major reasons to play fighter.
>>
>>52761370
Keep an eye out for at least one attack spell, which will probably be 1st Level so you actually get to use it. Something like Magic Missile, Ice Knife, or Scorching Ray. Or hell, Burning Hands. Fighters have this little problem when it comes to the fact that they can't really AOE- though Shatter or Aganazzar's Scorcher might even be worth it because of how limited Fireball would be for them.
>>
>>52761528
Because the way dice work it's the most likely result. If you really want to go into it then the Fighters actually average higher with GWF fighting style.
>>
>>52761520
Ah yes, the Warlock that has... Cantrips and 6th-9th level spells. Definitely like the Paladin and Ranger.
>>
>>52761290
Just use revised ranger
>>
>>52761428
>>52761504
>Being forever DM I always forget that when making a character it has to pass another DMs inspection

Personally I'd work with anyone who brought this idea, however you are correct the rules do state you'd have to use a weapon.
>>
>>52761541
That's what War Magic is for. Cantrip and melee in the same turn. Improved War Magic where you can do it with actual Spells would be fucking amazing... if it didn't come at Level 18.
>>
>>52761541
>those sweet extra attacks which is one of the major reasons to play fighter
The only reasosn to play a Fighter are
>Second Wind
>Action Surge
>Battlemaster maneuvers
>ASI progression
>you are permanently damaged from years of 3.5 and can play nothing but barebones mundane martials because surely there's a way to make them fun and interesting if you just keep trying

The third attack does not exist. Stop perpetuating this sick joke that games reach level 11. It doesn't happen, and even if it does, you're never going to be part of it.
>>
>>52761475
I really don't want the Brawny Bugbear Bearbarian throwing Rocks 80/240ft. for 4d10+7 bludgeoning
>>
>>52761557
The Warlock feel kinda similar to the way Paladins and Rangers were originally meant to feel.

A Paladin gets Divine Spells and at will melee.

A Ranger gets Druid Spells and at will range.

A Warlock gets Arcane Spells and at will magic blasts.

I personally think Bard should've been a Half caster who got more at will songs but too late for that. Artificer could eventually make it out as an Arcane half caster but there's no other gap that really needs filling.
>>
>>52761502
I think that doesn't work because when you ready the action is when you use the action up rather than when you use your reaction to actually do the action so would still need to teleport on your turn.
>>
>>52761586
Its a single bonus action attack though, and doesn't trigger extra attacks since its not the Attack action. Or does Green-Flame Blade/Booming Blade damage even out with the multiple extra attacks?

>>52761597
Our last campaign went to 16, and the surviving characters are currently still in our world doing great things
>>
>>52761607
So don't let bugbears in your game fag-o
>>
>>52761597
I feel sorry for whatever games you play in. Honest question do you play with good friends, with people who are kinda friends or with strangers?

I've found the unless you're playing with good friends then it's unlikely to get far but I've gotten to 20 three times in this edition with my friends.
>>
>>52761644
>>52761642
>if I say my game has gone to levels 15+ people will actually believe me on the internet
>>
>>52761611
Yes, I know. Realizing there wasn't one set off my autism to levels I didn't think were possible and I'd never really had it happen before.

Hell I've been torturing myself trying to MAKE one and convert the Magus while I'm at it due to... well, autism.

It's like... I want someone other than the Wizard to have a spellbook and cast with intelligence, but they'd also be more martial than the Wizard to make up for not being as great. However, they would be more focused than Bards. I want that... I guess because that's what I like being. Someone who is not a martial that magics or a magic that martials, but someone who is always both in balance.
>>
>>52761658
Why would I lie about that? Also once again, what kind of people do you play with?
>>
File: bards.gif (4MB, 540x620px) Image search: [Google]
bards.gif
4MB, 540x620px
>>52760664
There are ways to really put out the hurt with Rogues, and the can be devastating with the right party synergy.

This is not one of those ways.
>>
>>52761597
Published adventures which reach 11 (and beyond)
>Tyranny of Dragons
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>Rage of Demons
>Tales from the Yawning Portal

And Storm Kings Thunder if the players visit two extra giant lords
>>
Best maneuvers for a greatsword battlemaster?
>>
>>52761687
Boring Fucker no Jutsu
>>
Assimer wrestle who's trying to restore his bloodlines honor. What do you think /5eg/
>>
>>52761675
The real issue is it wouldn't really be in balance. Paladin and Ranger both are mostly martial, EK is mostly Martial, Bladesinger is mostly caster.

If you have someone with 50/50 split then they'll either be way too good or weak as shit. Who wants to be the guy who's overshadowed by both casters and martials?

Sorcerer was going to be an Arcane caster who switched between Magic and Melee as the day went on and it's a damn shame they didn't go with that.
>>
>>52761701
It's not my character, this friend literally sends me a picture of Cloud Strife and asks me for help...
>>
>>52761687
precision
riposte
trip

commander's strike if you've got a ranged rogue
>>
>>52761717
Aasimar? Why is his honor lost?

Wrestling is dumb
>>
>>52761717
Already played it, as a Dwarf.
9,500% better than an Aasimar
>>
>>52761717
Anything involving grappling is instantly a meme character
>>
>>52761731
Refuse to help and make up an excuse. You don't want to ruin your reputation with that shit.

Also Precision attack is the only one you have to take.
>>
>>52761735
>>52761738

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_wrestling_with_the_angel
>>
>>52761540
as a bard player, i think this is an entirely reasonable assumption.
>>
>>52761759
the bible isnt real nigga
>>
>>52761767
It's a fucking bad ass story dude. Why so triggered neckbeard
>>
>>52761759
Aasimar are humans with angel blood, not fully angels
>>
>>52761790
>to restore his bloodline
>>
PC ideas that you won't allow in your game?

Mine are (Half-)Orc Wizards, anything that involves Wrestling or any Warlock who has outsmarted their patron into giving them power.

Honestly I'm pretty willing to take anything but these three are all awful and never fit the tone of the game.
>>
>>52761804
>>
>>52761814
Nigger are you retarded
>>
>>52761812
>Mine are (Half-)Orc Wizards,
Why?
>anything that involves Wrestling
fun hater! BOOOOOO!!!
>or any Warlock who has outsmarted their patron into giving them power.
Simple solution: "You only THINK you outsmarted them!"
>>
>>52761823
>>
>>52761812
Anyone who is trying to recover their power. I don't need some guy who was a level 2000 Wizard and destroyed entire countries but now he's level 1 because of X.

I've only seen it done well once an Old Fighter who was now a level 1 Monk because he was sick of sitting around wasting away.
>>
>>52761835
You might as well just do a spoilers :^)
>>
>>52761857
>>
>>52761812
>(Half-)Orc Wizards
Why not? Skyrim had one, and did it well.
>anything that involves Wrestling
Why do you hate grapple checks?
>any Warlock who has outsmarted their patron into giving them power.
Seems like a fun reflavor of the typical character. Plus you now have a pissed off Patron looking to fuck the Warlock over out of spite!
>>
>>52761724
for an Arcane Half Caster, yeah, that shit's true. But, the Magus was not like that in any way. It was like... they were d8, had all martial weapons, they started light but eventually had medium and heavy armor, and their spell shit was unique - they had cantrips and shit and eventually got up to 6th Level Spells, while using a spellbook and doing shit like using their weapon as a casting focus - and then they also got Arcane Pool (which is like Sorcery Points) and Magus Arcana (which is like Eldritch Invocations) basically, they were a crazy cross of so many fucking classes but not in a way that was weak, but also not quite capable of ripping the game apart.

And I noticed Arcane Half Caster has some logic problems - the Paladin and Ranger gain their Fighting Style and Spellcasting at 2nd Level. So for the AHC it's like... how the fuck would that make sense? How did you get to adventuring while neither knowing how to cast spells or get your martial on?
>>
File: Zyq4Zt7.jpg (68KB, 557x493px) Image search: [Google]
Zyq4Zt7.jpg
68KB, 557x493px
>>52760835
You can pick a 12/15/12/12/14/14 spread with Point Buy for your Original the Sorcerer build. You can't get above 15 Cha, so you may as well just keep it at 14 since odd numbers are useless. You really shouldn't even have a Cha higher than 10 you self-loathing bastard. You still have to have one odd number it seems. I can't stick it up your ass or into Cha, so I put it in Dex.

You get Con and Cha Save proficiencies. That's it.

We're gonna make you a Charlatan, because I hate Charlatans and I hate you.

Your skills therefore, will be
Perception (Elf)
Deception and Sleight of Hand (Asshole)
Arcana and Insight (Go play Druid you crybaby, you're a Sorcerer)

Your starting HP is 7 because I gave you a +1 Con modifier, and your hit dice is 6. At level 1, you take the highest value.

Your languages are Common and Elven. You don't get Sylvan, you're a Charlatan now you shitlord.

Same with the tools. All that goes into the trash where it and you belong. You get Disguise Kit and Forgery Kit.

You don't get any armor proficiencies. Not even backgrounds give those.

Whip? Simple? Unarmed Strike? Bitch this is your weapon proficiency selection:

longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow (Elf Weapon Training)

daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows (Sorcerer Class)

Your staff now has a hit bonus of +3 (Str + Prof Bonus) and a Damage of +1 (Str Bonus)

Your Crossbow has an attack bonus of +4 (Dex + Prof Bonus) and a Damage of +2 (Dex Bonus)

Your AC is 10. Shield and Mage Armor will provide temporary boosts to keep you alive, assuming you want to do your table a favor and end yourself quicker.

Add in the new skill modifiers based on your ability modifiers. I would suggest removing either Acid Splash or Shocking Grasp. Both require close range combat, and you only have 10 AC. Try Fire Bolt or Ray of Frost. You can always pick it up later.

If I didn't mention something, its either correct and I hate it, or irrelevant and I hate it.
>>
>>52761863
Angels are no better than demons
>>
>>52761812
The one I usually won't allow is:

"I'm ACTUALLY a prince of a powerful kingdom, I just don't know it yet / I ran away at a young age"

It just screams extra special snowflake to me. BUT I'll allow anything if I believe the player can pull it off in a way that isn't cringey or lame for everyone else.
>>
>>52761886
That there is the SMT motto.
>>
>>52761834
>>52761868
It's once again mostly the tone of the games I play. I've never seen a good Orc Wizard that wasn't something stupid as shit. I've never seen a good anyone who put "Wrestler" on their sheet (Grapplers and pit fighters aren't bad, it's only people who put Wrestler).

Warlocks I'm always weary about even though I like them, the amount of edgy characters they attract is amazing. I've never had a player I trust come to me with the concept and I'd consider letting one of them do it, but sure as hell not the guy who I only just met.
I don't consider it a fun twist when you're a level 1 bumpkin who outsmarted one of the most cunning creatures around. I think it's an incredibly stupid idea.

I have had a guy who loves Ur-Priests use a Warlock and that flavor I liked. Stealingpower secretly works for it.
>>
File: kulledude.jpg (10KB, 222x239px) Image search: [Google]
kulledude.jpg
10KB, 222x239px
>>52761915
I meant to make a Diablo joke but I forgot my image
But yeah it's true of SMT as well
>>
>>52761908
What if they're a prince from a powerful kingdom that wants him dead, or worse, for various reasons.
>>
>>52761812
Anything where "Warlock" and "Paladin" are muttered in the same sentence.
>>
>>52761908
>I'm actually the prince of a powerful kingdom

I would allow this, but only for some terrible DM spiting.

When they go home, they'll find that they've been disowned. They ran away from duty, were presumed dead, and a new baby quickly had the succession waiting line moving.

If they tried to say they actually had a chance at the crown and throne? That's gonna smart later.
>>
>>52761370
Eldritch Knights should be a more mobile and versatile role and not just a spell shield. And also have more spell related to weapon, armor and enchanting. Not lazily copied from wizard. If they could have 2 page detailing superiority die than they could have done a bit for the eldritch. The only thing unique to them is bond weapon, arcane charge, and eldritch strike. Bond weapon is good but limited. Arcane charge is behind a pay wall and can only be used at max 2 time per rest. Eldritch strike is behind a grinder.
>>
>>52761957
Fey warlock and ancient paladin
>>
>>52761979
excellent point, im a faggot for not thinking of that
>>
>>52761957
My number one hatred. If questioned about the flavor then they always say Fey and Ancient but why can't you just be a Fey Bladelock? They only do it for Short rest smites.
>>
>>52761979
Fiend Warlock and Conquest Paladin. That's some good adventuring time.

Well, not for anyone else, but for them...
>>
>>52761908
>>52761812
>tfw I played a Dwarven noble who ditched his family to pursue being a luchador but then reluctantly travelled the world looking for the ancient history of his clan to help bring honor back to the family name after his idiot brothers ruined it all
>and the DM made me the/an heir to Besilmer
I got a Rod of Lordly Might out of it that could turn into a ladder and used it to set up powerbombs and multi-man grapples.
>>
give me a good, blaster-y awakened mystic build or if my suspicion of awakened being shit, anything that would work in its stead.
>>
>>52761926
>I don't consider it a fun twist when you're a level 1 bumpkin who outsmarted one of the most cunning creatures around. I think it's an incredibly stupid idea.
like i said earlier, they can SAY they outsmarted their patron, but you as the DM can make that all part of their patrons master plan. Every time the patron shows up, have the player "outsmart" the patron by doing exactly what the patron wanted him to do, scam that stupid fuck for all he's worth!

oh no! i accidentally let it slip that sucking my dick will completely drain me of my powers!
>>
>>52762013
>make a Mystic
>take that occluded mind shit and one mantle
boom done
>>
File: 1435156331017.jpg (6KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1435156331017.jpg
6KB, 160x160px
Alright guys, I'm in a pickle. What should I do to fight this problem?

>6-man campaign, pirate themed
>A human bard, tiefling rogue(me), human artificer, tabaxi artificer, half-drow paladin and assimar ranger
>one artificer is starting to be a dick
>Paladin gets into a 1v1 battle to the death
>Specifically not a duel, but a battle no one happens to be stepping into
>The battle starts to slip in the enemy's favor, paladin is under 10 hitpoints
>Tabaxi Artificer refuses to let anyone help them, as they got into an in character argument two sessions ago
>I ready an action to shoot of the once a day use of Darkness tieflings get if the Paladin goes under, so they can run in and get them out
>Tabaxi says "I ready an action to shoot the rogue in the back if they proc it"
>When the Paladin pulls back and wins, the Tabaxi goes over to the enemy and heals them back up
>enemy says something along the lines of "filthy catperson"
>Tabaxi shoots them, killing them instantly
>Session ends there
>Find out from the DM that the Tabaxi player insists that they didn't kill them, and that the damage was non-lethal
>DM points out that that only melee weapons do non-lethal
>Tabaxi player insists that they won't recognize the results if the enemy is still dead next session
>DM insists to me that they've tried talking it out like adults, but the player won't accept it
>Since I'm the only evil character in the group (I built an actual pirate while everyone else built characters who became pirates by chance or accidentally) and the other players are getting tired of this dude, I offer to fight them in-game to try and subdue him and force him to settle this with the other players
>DM says "might as well kill him if he won't stop"

What should I, as another player character, be doing in this situation? Should I go for the fight, go for the kill, wait and see if he gets kicked out on his own, ect?
>>
File: 720s.jpg (46KB, 403x525px) Image search: [Google]
720s.jpg
46KB, 403x525px
>>52761265
IT IS TO AVOID CONFUSION WITH THE RULES OF PREVIOUS EDITIONS, YOU DUMB "SURPRISE ROUND" FUCKS!
>>
>>52762020
Man can you fucking imagine acting through that one?

'NO! DON'T SUCK MY PENIS!'
>>
>>52761926
>I don't consider it a fun twist when you're a level 1 bumpkin who outsmarted one of the most cunning creatures around. I think it's an incredibly stupid idea.
I can see how it can be though. The PC outsmarting a Patron can be a stretch, but even smart people make mistakes or fall for ruses. This warlock beat the odds.

Now make them pay for it. The Patron will be gunning for such a mortal, hoping to recoup face if nothing else. Every few weeks or months in-game you get to throw another ingenious and powerful agent of the Patron after the Warlock. If they die, then it was a fluke. If they survive the encounter, well....more cool stories to tell with that character.
>>
>>52761607
Limit his access to rocks. Alternately accept that his chosen fighting style sacrifices a significant portion of his class features and is probably kind of underpowered if anything. Also, where are you pulling that figure from? 4d10 doesn't correlate to literally anything aside from the DMG's generic damage guidelines (and that's "dangerous" for 5th-10th level bracket - covered in falling rubble in a collapsing tunnel or similar) - Catapult uses d8, falling damage uses d6, RAW it's an improvised weapon and thus does 1d4 no matter what so ???

>>52761994
I play Paladin/Warlock blends because Eldritch Blast with invocations lets me use finger guns as my primary weapon and thus I can sneak being the cops past my DM more easily. Admittedly, that's probably why people would blanket ban that multiclass, not the lore implications of worshipping a god while being bound to a demon.

>>52761965
Personally, I think EK should get some spell freebies that are relevant to them - namely Shield and Counterspell.

>>52761265
It isn't a dedicated round of combat, though. It's the first round of combat, some people are merely Surprised. Surprise Round implies there's a round for surprise attacks before the first round of combat, which there is not.
>>
>>52762041
'My one true weakNUT!'

'You have drained my bal-powers. My powers.'
>>
>>52762007
>>52761958
>>52761938
You see, all 3 of these have some thought put into them, which might win me over. I'm used to seeing it thrown in as an afterthought to make their character seem cooler or to get special privileges or whatever.

Forever Players think very differently from Forever DMs
>>
>>52762030
I always thought the non-lethal attack being melee only was a bit arbitrary and stupid. I don't blame the player (even if he is a shitass) for not knowing that you can't deal non-lethal damage from range.
>>
>>52761979
More so most people that say Warlock Paladin I've encountered are also the type that stat their character before creating a backstory for them. Its a fucking common dip because of Short Rest smites and it is tiresome as a GM seeing that shit over and over but never seeing any thought put into their character otherwise. Maybe you are different, but frankly its the type of shit Im going to avoid allowing with out a damn fucking good reason.
>>
>>52761908
I did that once. Not to be special but my character was the red headed stepchild of the family and they always sent the 4th+ child out to bring honor where he was from anyway.

He wanted to bring a Dragon back to his family and died doing so. The family was rather pissed at the party for not caring enough to revive him.

>>52762020
Most players would be pissed because as soon as his plan works you'll get fucked over by him.

Also do you have any ideas for what the Patron could want? the only thing I can think of is getting him to collect a treasure that the patron couldn't get. Then you either hand it over and the Patron most likely makes you it's bitch or you kill the patron and become a level 1 commoner.
>>
>>52762030
Just wait until he gets kicked out of the table. Alignment or not, you're no better as a player if you instigate more inter-party conflict as a response to conflict.

DM probably needs to boot him at some point
>>
>>52762030
The tabaxi is a shithead. Get the DM to kick him as soon as possible. He is toxic.

Otherwise, waste his ass the second he has his back turned.
>>
File: GHDeityBoccob.png (73KB, 205x204px) Image search: [Google]
GHDeityBoccob.png
73KB, 205x204px
This Bookworm waddles over to you and slaps your tome's ass in the library. what do?
>>
>>52762102
consider something like the following: In the song "the devil went down to georgia" What if the devil LET johnny win? Johnny goes home and brags to all his friends, suddenly there is a line forming up and the devil gets to reap souls left and right, because these fucking hicks think they're all hot shit and totally better than that nitwit Johnny

Maybe what the patron wants isn't as "tangible" as what one might expect. maybe he wants this guy to brag about how he got all these "sweet powers" from this stupid patron, now the Patron has fuckers lining out the door, thinking they can outwit him and BAM! for the low low price of one idiot running amok, he's got 1000 more rubes that are eternally bound to him.
>>
>>52762139
It depends. Did I just finish fucking my tome? Because they're gonna get a surprise on their hand.
>>
>>52762139
Sit there and enjoy the show.
>>
>>52762102
what about a patron using his pet fuccboi to knock off his enemies' pet fuccbois so that he can brag about it?
>>
>>52762139
Find a game taking place in a better setting.
>>
File: Boot.png (5KB, 193x115px) Image search: [Google]
Boot.png
5KB, 193x115px
>>52762089
>>52762112
>>52762119
Breaking news on this front.
>>
>>52760276
I mean that you start with the same prepackaged equipment bullshit anyway.
>>
>>52762192
Welp, all's well that ends well.
>>
>>52762192
You should never fucking tell your DM that you don't accept what should be a reasonable decision because you don't like it and think you're better than that.

The Pharaoh from Exodus learned that.
>>
>>52762192
>tabaxi down
Nothing of value lost. Get rid of the tiefling next.
>>
>>52762192
Good.
>>
>>52762056
Why would he not just send his most powerful minion first? Why would you even consider being so cocky that someone using your own power wouldn't be threat not to make sure?

I mean comicbook villians are like that sure but no real threat who is powerful wouldn't make sure the job's done right.

>>52762151
I don't know what setting you play in but I'm pretty sure at least 90% of people wouldn't think fondly of Warlocks who go around bragging. Like burning at the stake levels of not fond.

>>52762170
This one I can dig. The idea of a bunch of Fey or Fiends running what's effectively cockfights with Humans is actually good.

>>52762210
You can take a random amount of gold determined by your Class and most DM's will let you exchange the things you get for equal value at level 1. Read the fucking book.
>>
File: 1456958920439.jpg (115KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456958920439.jpg
115KB, 413x395px
>>52762229
>>
>>52762192
I'm pretty sure anyone that plays a race not in the PHB is cancer.

I'll give Assmen a pass since they're in the DMG.
>>
>>52762229
Anon, HE is the tiefling.
>>
>>52762247
Hey fuck you buddy lizardfolk are some goddamn fun
>>
>>52762247
There are outside races I like. Like the minotaur one. I wish it had a different name because they're nothing like the monster minotaurs.
>>
File: Boot2.png (8KB, 159x223px) Image search: [Google]
Boot2.png
8KB, 159x223px
>>52762212
>>52762228
>>52762229
>>52762230
>>52762247
Update 2, the update where things get a fuckton worse because someone couldn't stop bitching.
>>
>>52762236
>I don't know what setting you play in but I'm pretty sure at least 90% of people wouldn't think fondly of Warlocks who go around bragging. Like burning at the stake levels of not fond.

i normally play in settings where the warlock is backed up by three other party members and they all just saved a town from a goblin/orc/gnoll/undead invasion
>>
>>52759230
by doing so. Just need to house rule ships and a few things.
>>
>>52762264
Lizardfolk should've been PHB and Dragonborn Volo's.
>>
File: myaaah.jpg (22KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
myaaah.jpg
22KB, 500x358px
>it is a "the paladin is a racist fuccboi that cant stop saying nigga every other sentence" episode

how should my wiz "accidentally" get this faggot killed?
>>
>>52762236
>Why would he not just send his most powerful minion first?
Because that little shit is level 1, and the Devil wants to have some sort of reputation at the end of all this. Or at least avoid getting weggied by all the other Devils who would be laughing at him if this ever got out. No, best to keep this quiet, and ordering DOOMFUCKER to squish a level 1 mortal would draw the wrong sort of attention.

Of course, if you'd prefer, just send the most powerful enemy first. If the Warlock isn't smart enough to escape with his life, then I guess you were right all along, weren't you? :^3
>>
>>52762270
>abusing dm power

This fucking guy. I doubt they have ever seen an actual case of that - it's impossible to not see.
>>
>>52762280
Dragonborn and Tabaxi were a mistake. Tieflings are only acceptable if they're the Planescape-style, SCAG variant appearance kind.
>>
>>52762270
Oddly, I don't buy this. Calling it now, fake story.
>>
>>52762271
And if you talk about how the power of DEVILS AND ELDRITCH UNFATHOMABLE BEINGS did it then any local Priesthood would be rather pissed and most likely tell all the faithful to at least shun you.

If they refuse to reward you or let you in their town what are you going to do? Murder an entire town?
>>
>>52762296
On purpose.
>>
>>52762270
He can't be punking out this early.
>>
File: 1346036295922.png (9KB, 188x159px) Image search: [Google]
1346036295922.png
9KB, 188x159px
>>52761883
But isn't Cha important for sorcerers? I thought it was the stat that determined their casting stuff?
Please don't hate me anon. Also I want nature because roleplay. I'll take that over sleight of hand, I don't want sleight of hand.
Anon I have no idea what I'm doing. Does that mean I can't punch good? I want to punch a little good, just a little. I'll grab Ray of Frost instead then, thanks. I was thinking of switching that out but I wasn't sure exactly how long range Acid Splash was.

Why are you so mean?
>>
>>52762298
>>52762236
huh, patron building up a "hero" to destroy when convenient in order to boost its standing in hell also seems like a cool idea.
>>
>>52762270
>that
>abusing DM power
Nigga I have had DMs that would railroad harder than a monorail on the slightest of fucking shit. DMs that would actively try and humiliate characters (and by extension, the players) because he was bored. This guy is doing his job, and he does it well enough.

>>52762296
But if he says it with an a, is it really still racist?
>>
>>52762351
Hmmmm. That sounds pretty good actually!
>>
>>52762296
Is he saying it IC?
what
>>
>>52762270
THIS TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES

Well step 1, ignore the Tabaxi from now on. He's out of the game.

Now, everyone says it should have missed... We can fix this. Pin the blame on the Tabaxi for all this bullshit, rewind the story a bit.

Just make it so the Tabaxi has a heart attack and the arrow skimmed the target. Dead Tabaxi, wounded enemy. If the Tabaxi didn't intervene, he would have just been wounded anyway.
>>
>>52762322
>If they refuse to reward you or let you in their town what are you going to do? Murder an entire town?
ah, i see you've never DM'd a game of DnD before.
>>
>>52762351
The main issue is that he would have at least a reasonably good plan to make sure he wins. Which most likely involves taking the Warlocks powers from him.

Doing something like that would piss off the player.

>>52762298
>Not sending DOOMFUCKER to deal with any threat.

It's like you want people to think you fuck around instead of getting the job done.
>>
>>52762375
nah, half our group doesn't rp.

>>52762355
i don't think it is his intent, but fuck him tbqh.
>>
>>52762392
This.

The DnD playing world is full of assholes who want to be justified for doing what would be horrible things real or fake - and when along comes a player who is usually a paladin and is personifying Samurai Jack you'll have a DM go 'what the fuck how do I get this guy to murderhobo? Why are they being so fucking lawful and good?'
>>
>>52761370
I like the idea of eldritch knights, but they have way too many arbitrary restrictions built into their archetype features.
>>
>>52762402
>It's like you want people to think you fuck around instead of getting the job done.
It's like you want everyone to know you needed DOOMFUCKER to pull your ass from the fire after getting jewed out of some magic by a normie.
>>
File: Locke Character Sheet.jpg (595KB, 1582x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Locke Character Sheet.jpg
595KB, 1582x2048px
>>52762305
>>52762341
>>52762355
It definitely sucks, because I've seen this DM railroad before. Hard. This was a campaign designed to be different from the last one, and was going well until Tabaxifag started sperging 3 sessions ago.

>>52762320
I fucking wish it was fake, my character is going to be wasted at this point because of one person who can't take that their character isn't in complete control 100% of the time.
>>
>>52762428
So if you had a cool DM to work with you, how would you go about "fixing" EK?
>>
>>52762431
>3 sessions ago

...Hold the fuck up. This shit had forewarning?
>>
>>52762407
Whether or not he's racist I believe anyone who DIDN'T ride the short bus to school and now and now can't finish a sentence without one or two placeholder words (um, like, yo, nigga, shit, fuck, dawg, man) should be shot
>>
>>52762392
I have and there's only a handful of situations where I'd pull bullshit like that on players.

If they murdered someone the people their liked for no real reason or they start screaming about how they should all sell their soul to the Devil the nicest thing that could happen is being arrested.

If you're talking about murdering the town at least one person will run away and tell others what happened.

>>52762429
I personally wouldn't laugh at the person who will DOOMFUCKER me over anything.
>>
>>52762431
>rouge
not only are you a retard playing a tiefling, you're just retarded
>>
>>52762451
>and now and now
welp
>>
>>52762457
>If you're talking about murdering the town at least one person will run away and tell others what happened.
all part of the patron's plan
>>
>>52762457
>I personally wouldn't laugh at the person who will DOOMFUCKER me over anything.
I assume everyone in Hell has a DOOMFUCKER of their own, so it's mostly a big stalemate unless you're a stupid bastard and you've sent yours off on an errand to step on some nobody who caught you with your dick in their mouth once.
>>
>>52762440
Not that anon, but... I'd take away the school restricting. I mean... they're not going to have a spellbook like a Wizard, and while they get close to as many spells as a Sorcerer, they aren't full casters. They aren't even half. They're third - their ceiling is fucking 4th level spells at 19.
>>
>>52761492
Assassin with xbow expert and 18dex is +7 to hit.
+7/+7 1d6+4d6+4 / 1d6+4 (29)
vs AC 18 with Assassinate and Advantage its (37.5)

With Sharpshooter and 16 DEX
+1/+1 1d6+4d6+13 / 1d6+13 (47)
Vs AC 18 with Assassinate and Advantage it's (20.4)

Archer Battlemaster DEX 20, using Action Surge, 4 maneuvers and +1 Longbow
+11/+11/+11/+11 2d8+6 (60)
vs AC 18 that's (42)
With Advantage it's (51)
with Sharpshooter
+6/+6/+6/+6 2d8+16 (100)
vs AC 18 it's (40)
with Advantage it's (55)

Fighters with GWM or Sharpshooter always do more damage than Assassin. This looks intentional.
>>
>>52762480
Then the party is a bunch of evil mass murderers.

>>52762481
Well if they got tricked into giving up their power they're not a very smart Fiend to begin with.
>>
File: 6.jpg (52KB, 661x349px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
52KB, 661x349px
Best character gen site/prog for 5e?

Sorry for being a semi-normie.
>>
>>52762431
> Rouge
>>
>>52762499
>Then the party is a bunch of evil mass murderers.
and?
>>
File: 1480387872640.png (89KB, 1332x481px) Image search: [Google]
1480387872640.png
89KB, 1332x481px
>>52762451
>>52762472
>>
>>52762499
>Well if they got tricked into giving up their power they're not a very smart Fiend to begin with.
That just makes it more believable then!
>>
File: 1490567038068.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490567038068.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>52762451
>>52762472
>>
>>52762484
I think the idea behind EK spell restriction is to give the subclass a focus of strengthening either his defense or his blasting ability, with a few opportunities to pick up spells like "Hold Person" or "Fly" later down the line.
>>
>>52762431
>Rouge
Goddammit. And he was already being a faggot before this incident? What set him off?
>>
>>52762447
Not much, just that they had an argument in character that lasted for half an hour. They made a point that they were cold on the Paladin's character, but I thought he was going for "eventually they learn to compromise," not "I'm always right."
>>52762506
>>52762534

Shit, I would fix that if I had a session anymore.
>>
>Lucky

Why would anyone not take this?
>>
>>52762551
Man I'll be honest it just seems like you have a dysfunctional fucking group
>>
>>52762529
He can certainly get to strengthening his defense. However, the Evocation half actually falters because of how in many situations either just melee attacking or using a ranged weapon would be better than using up precious spell slots- unless its a decently usable AOE.
>>
>>52762440
I'm working on a fix myself, because I am the DM.

>manuevers, but less than BM.
>no restrictions on spells except they must be picked from the wizard spelllist.
>can use War Magic attacks after casting any spell, not just cantrips.
>can regain one 1st level spellslot on a short rest, and later one 2nd level spellslot
>can bind more than one weapon, and can bind armor.
>much later, bound armor and weapons are considered magical with appropriate bonuses to hit and to damage
>eldritch stride triggers on casting a non-cantrip spell, not an action surge.
>>
>>52762588
Yeah, getting shit like fireball 8 levels after the wizard gets it is kind of lame and a group will have better options for dealing with mooks than an EK using his precious spell slots.

>>52762600
Have you had a player use an EK and found it lacking, or is this just based on seeing it on paper? Do you think that the options narrowed down on >>52761370
would make for a solid character, both thematically and mechanically?
>>
>>52762562
maybe they hate themselves.
>>
>>52762568
Oh, probably, but I was having fun. I made a good character I was having fun with and pulling some cool shit off, but now it's all gone.

Is it bad form to pull aspects of someone else's campaign into your own campaigns? Because I was building up for a pirate kingdom, and I don't want all that shit going to waste.
>>
File: mIg4DaN.png (69KB, 439x485px) Image search: [Google]
mIg4DaN.png
69KB, 439x485px
>>52762348
All right fine, I'll be nice.

We can work on a special background for you. There's really only 2 main rules to a Background. You get 2 skill proficiencies, and 2 language/tool proficiencies.

Then you get some fluff equipment and a feature that is usually meant as a shortcut. Acolytes get free healing at temples. Outlanders can forage for food. Criminals get cell phones. Most backgrounds supply room and board.

So lets say your Background will be... Apprentice Druid.

Ok, So your new skills will be Perception for Elf, Nature and Animal Handling for Background, and Deception plus one other for Sorcerer.

Your options for Sorcerer skills are Arcana, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, and Religion.

Now, you want Sylvan? Fine you get Sylvan. Pick one tool or instrument proficiency. We'll say Weaver's Tools.

Now come up with a Feature. Don't make it broken, or do stuff your two skills would do. Think of an ability only your background would have provided you. Or you can just copy and paste one of the already existing Background features like Outlander.

Moving on, no, you can't punch good. Unarmed Strike is labeled as a Simple Weapon for proficiency purposes. You'll have to gain proficiency in it either through a feat or multiclassing

Acid Splash is 60 feet. Its not terrible, but one dash from the enemy can most likely close the distance.

Cha is important to spellcasters, but unless you're doing meme rolls, your stats cap at 15. Only way to get it higher is through Racial bonuses. A Half-Elf for example, can hit 17 since they get +2 Cha. You don't, so the highest it can go is 15. When you get access to ASIs, you get +2 points so you can just turn that 14 into a 16. ONLY THE MODIFIER MATTERS. I can't even think of a single situation where the ability value matters others than calculating the modifier.

You could always start off as a Druid, then multiclass into Sorcerer but that would be sorta silly.
>>
>>52762700
Nope. Being a good and creative DM is all about what you can steal and get away with.
>>
>>52762646
>Have you had a player use an EK and found it lacking, or is this just based on seeing it on paper?

I've had regular problems with barbarians and fighters generally, and to a lesser extent the other martials. People pick them and think they were tricked into picking a class that just doesn't do anything interesting.

Note: I'm not saying you can't do anything interesting with these classes. you surely can. But at least in my experience, it takes a lot more work to do so because they're tied to the flawed short rest mechanic, which fucks with their resource economy.

Part of my project is an attempt to rebalance the larger game around more active, at-will type abilities. While I'm at it, I'm removing things that I feel are stupid limits on characters, such as being able to bond only one weapon, or being forced to learn evocation and abjuration spells.
>>
>>52762646
I mean, lets be honest. On its own there ARE a few attack spells - Magic Missile, Ice Knife, Scorching Ray - that an EK as a Fighter would find neat. And actual AOEs - Burning Hands, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Shatter, that since they're low enough spell levels that the Fighter can actually use them every now and then would feel amazing... but none of that is going to look impressive to casters.
>>
Will I screw the party if I play Necromancer Wizard in CoS? Are there any monsters that can steal skeletons from me?
>>
File: Boot3.png (10KB, 175x226px) Image search: [Google]
Boot3.png
10KB, 175x226px
>>52762568
Final update, I think.

He DMs two sessions, so I think that means no sessions except the one I run and the one a friend runs.
>>
>>52762431
>Belt of Lowered Libido
>Cosplaying as a cartoon bat
>Range: Long Enough
>Accordian

You're involved in one helluva campaign.
>>
>>52762755
>no sessions except the one I run and the one a friend runs
Are you me?
>>
File: on-nito-and-pinwheel_fb_1143350.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
on-nito-and-pinwheel_fb_1143350.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>52762742
>Are there any monsters that can steal skeletons from me?
>>
File: 1481324758470.jpg (191KB, 565x530px) Image search: [Google]
1481324758470.jpg
191KB, 565x530px
>>52762701
Thank you anon. You can be mean if it makes you happy.

I wasn't aware of the special feature from backgrounds. So that doesn't tend to be things related to rolls? I'll try to think of something fitting but small enough to work. My buddy is fairly new to DMing so I don't want to ask for too much.

Fine I won't punch good. I'd only use it to have him punch elves anyway. I think I took shocking grasp because of the quicken meta magic, but I can't remember my reasoning for that. I'll take another look and decide between it or acid splash then. Probably acid splash, acid is cool.

Oh it's capped at 15? I didn't know, I just thought that was a character generation thing. I'll switch to 14 then unless there's a +1 feat I absolutely need, I'm reading those over now.

If we were starting at level 2 I'd do 1 level of Druid then 1 of Sorcerer. Really I just wanted to play a Wild Mage, then I misunderstood what Wild Magic was and thought it meant it had some kind of tie to nature or something. Then I got this whole idea for a self hating elf that was trained to be a Druid but is allergic to pretty much everything in his home, and his parents are elf Isis, and now I'm too far in to give up. So now I'm fitting a Druid peg into a Sorcerer hole trying to give him super good nature and such.
>>
>>52762770
Are you running a session where the players just fell into a hell dimension and Mephistopheles became the town leader through his arm muscles?
>>
>>52762701
>I can't even think of a single situation where the ability value matters others than calculating the modifier.

Barbarian's Indomitable Might

But a level 18 Barbarian is going to be STR 20 anyway.
>>
File: 1471684178495.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471684178495.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>52762851
I wish
>>
>>52762866
That ability bugs me. It's such a cool one, and would really help the barbarian find its niche, but it comes at level 18.

It should come at level 7.
>>
How are Cleric domains? Balanced for the most part? What are the "good" ones? I've never played a Cleric before (although I've played a Paladin at least once per edition and also in Pathfinder), and I want to do a good job so the party loves me.
>>
>>52762979
Life Cleric is probably the top tier, but I'm pretty sure every cleric domain can do the job well. Except Nature, which is just Druid-lite.
>>
File: 9zd93gH.jpg (51KB, 239x402px) Image search: [Google]
9zd93gH.jpg
51KB, 239x402px
>>52762826
Geez, You're making me feel bad.

Go to the 5etools in the OP and find the background page.

For example, here's the Faction Agent background feature:

Feature: Safe Haven. As a faction agent, you have access to a secret network of supporters and operatives who can provide assistance on your adventures. You know a set of secret signs and passwords you can use to identify such operatives, who can provide you with access to a hidden safe house, free room and board, or assistance in finding information. These agents never risk their lives for you or risk revealing their true identities.

So tldr, you gain access to hints to your quests, can communicate with them without worry of spies, and they'll give you a place to sleep and food to eat. You'll probably only find these people in cities though. Easy peezy.

Your idea of a "Druid Peg" is totally all right. That's what Acolyte does for a "Cleric Peg".

You still add your Str modifier to your punches, if it means anything. Punches only deal 1 base damage anyway.

Shocking Grasp is great. Range spells attack with disadvantage when within 5 feet. Shocking grasp isn't ranged, and removes the enemy's reaction. That means you can run away without worry of attacks of opportunity.

Look, all I feel is that your story comes across a little cringy. When I think of self-loathing characters, I think of emo kids with parental issues. Their characters are often Chaotic/Good despite playing as Chaotic/Evil/Stupid.

They bend the rules so they can do something memey, like starting with magic weapons because their warlock patron gave them as a gift, claiming they're the kin of some existing character... being proficient in fists because they feel like punching stuff...

Basically, you're building to be "That Guy", but your attitude doesn't come across as one. Playing as a whiny spoiled Elf may seem fun at first, but it'll get old real quick. Or maybe that's what you need for character development, I don't know.
>>
>>52763014

I just noticed Light doesn't have Divine Strike, are they basically Wizard-lite?
>>
>>52762078
Giants have a Rock attack. And Brawny Bugbear Bearbarians can actually lift more than giants
>>
>>52763086
Life Clerics are meant to be pseudo warriors, hence the Heavy Armor proficiency.

Light Clerics are spell-slingers, hence Potent Spellcasting. +5 damage to Sacred Flame.
>>
>>52762228
Exodus didn't happen der jude lied
>>
>>52763083
I'll check them out then.
That seems like a pretty good feature. I guess I could do something along the lines of just sort of knowing what plants and insects are without issue.

The punches were more of a fun character thing. He won't be doing it very often. If he does then he won't be surviving long enough for it to be an issue. I'll almost definitely keep Shocking Grasp then. I didn't know about rolling with disadvantage at 5 feet.

I mean I gave the DM 3 ideas for characters and he said he'd like my first guy to be this one. The others were a kind hearted boarman (reskinned Orc) pugilist, and a human wizard that's scared of magic. He isn't self loathing, he just hates elves. He doesn't like being an elf, but he likes himself other than that. He's allergic to and grossed out by most things in the forest, and his whole group was real into it. Made him make out with centipedes and stuff because he showed a bit of magical aptitude. Slept in a leaf bed that gave him hives for 50 years. No fist proficiency, no magic weapons. I promise I'll behave. Hell, I've intentionally built him badly because he's kind of a dick, giving him 10 strength for no reason because he "doesn't like looking like an elf".
>But your attitude doesn't come across as one
Well thanks anon. I just want to have fun with interesting stories. I don't really care too much about the combat or power fantasy stuff outside of that.
>>
>>52763173

I actually kind of like that idea of being more or less a divine pyromancer, if it's not a terribly bad idea, although Life Cleric looks cool too.
>>
>>52763248
There's a few for being better at fighting - Tempest and War Clerics have domain attack spells and also gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor at 1st Level - this means you can actually choose to start with a Warhammer and Chain Mail if you pick them. There's a few others that give Heavy Armor but not weapons.

I myself like the idea of Arcana the most.
>>
File: 1478644505175.jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1478644505175.jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
>>52763291
>Be Tempest Cleric
>Named Emik Cenpe
>Get viciously nasty glares from my DM when he realizes what I did
>>
>>52763212
ugh, the opposite trope is bland yo.

I mean, play it for a bit. If its hard to role-play, then its probably not you, its your character.

knowing about plants and insects would be okay, as long as it doesn't go beyond the frame of "that bug's harmful, that one's not" and not "This plant will act as an antitoxin but give you diarrhea, but you can nullify that by boiling it in water"

>>52763248
Clerics vary wildly. Only real issue with that archetype is that you get all these fire aoe spells, but all you'll be doing is lobbing Fireballs in the end. And you don't even get any modifier bonuses on it. Grabbing EA is a waste, since Sacred Flame won't benefit from it.

Even when it comes across as it, Clerics were never meant for the raw spell damage output as the rest are.

Just because the game gives you a proficiency doesn't mean you need to use it. You can run around in light armor with a dagger and still call yourself a Tempest Cleric.

>>52763441
WHAT DID YOU DO
>>
Letting all Clerics pick either Weapon and Armour proficiency and Divine Strike, or Potent Spellcasting and a free skill related to their domain.

Yes or no?
>>
>>52763468
I really super duper like the opposite trope though. Ya if I get bored I'll just retire him. Frankly I don't expect him to live for too long anyway. My buddy demands I use this list
http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf
For wild magic. Hoo boy.
>>
They've said that Druids with another method of determining AC can use that while Wild Shaped right? So a Lizardfolk Druid can have the AC of the Beast or 13+DEX?
>>
Are there any 'race-as-class' homebrew stuff? I'd imagine dwarves would be some kind of fighter-cleric hybrid and elves would be ranger-wizards, halfings as rogue-sorcerers or something. Apparently something like this does exist, but the guy who brought it up couldn't find it.
>>
>>52763566
AD&D
>>
>>52763612
Well I did ask in the /osrg/ Discord but I was hoping someone here would have what he was looking for. It had a red cover, if that helps.
>>
>>52763468

Emik Cenpe is an anagram of Mike Pence.
>>
>>52763551
>You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

In that case, having an extra thick reptilian hide wouldn't work if you Wild Shaped into a bear, a wolf, or something similar. The same applies to things like Dragonborn's breath, having the Powerful Build, or senses (namely Darkvision).
>>
>>52760080
Legendary action: Grapple, remove PC from AoE, resume cold breath.
>>
>>52763736
God dammit. It's 1:00 k.
>>52763527
Then do whatever, I dunno I'm going to bed.
>>
>>52759991

There was a class called the Geometer in 3.5 that was something like what you describe. Lots of geometric symbols and stuff.
>>
File: Dragonshape.png (20KB, 498x205px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonshape.png
20KB, 498x205px
>>52763747
Knowing Crawford he changed his mind somewhere down the line but this is what I found.
>>
>>52763819
Huh. Neat.
>>
>>52763862
He's said Lizardfolk don't work though. Now I'm thinking about a Dragonborn just because the breathe is keyed off CON and it's not hard to take a form with a +3-+4 Modifier.

You can even turn into a giant Shark or Mamoth eventually and get a +5 Modifier.
>>
>>52761957

What about Warlock of the Undying Light and Paladin of Devotion/Vengeance?

You're fucking glowing like a tiny sun, shooting radiant laser beams out of your eyes as you smite the evil. And then you can rise like a phoenix if you fall in combat.
>>
>>52763512
yes. It fix trickery domain.
>>
>>52763927
You're multiclassing UA
>>
>>52762013
anyone else?
>>
File: 1365219903278.jpg (46KB, 650x649px) Image search: [Google]
1365219903278.jpg
46KB, 650x649px
>want to DM
>not sure I can muster up the excitement every week only to be let down every other week when two of my players don't show up even though they agreed to
>>
>>52763862
>>52763819
Just like >>52763895 said. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/25/do-draconic-ancestry-and-fey-ancestry-stay-in-wild-shape/
>>
>>52763942

But it's Warlock. What's more, it's probably a Pact of the Blade Warlock.
>>
Should I make a Sword and Board Minotaur Barbarian or is GWM just too much to give up?
>>
>>52764038
It's the classic 1-2-3 warlock dip, they don't even go for pact abilities. With Undying Light it's going to either be 1 level if they have decent charisma just to get a little extra damage on smites, 2 if they want Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, and 3 for Tome if they want to do Shillelagh shenanigans for maximum CHA to damage.
>>
>>52764091
No point on going S&B barbs unless it's a barbarogue.
>>
>>52764184
>>52764184
>>52764184
rip this thread. it was a good one.
>>
It finally happened tonight. I got a lot of role play out of my normally shy group. I brought them into a town and went super heavy on descriptions. I had key npcs that singled them out and catered to their characters back stories and abilities, while being inviting and making them look cool. I saw a lot if smiles and laughing out of them today and they were really getting into it.

Feels fucking good man.
>>
File: 1486509477510.png (226KB, 500x967px) Image search: [Google]
1486509477510.png
226KB, 500x967px
>>52763736
You cheeky dick waffle
I'm probably gonna steal that and make an NPC out of it.
>>
>>52759259

You're not going in it for the amazing high level spells. Eldritch Knight gives you a ton of out of combat and in combat utility that the other fighters can't match, as well as having plenty of really handy abilities (like summoning your weapon). And Fireball at high levels is still pretty good. Not to mention you can bring your own Haste or fly or what have you when you need it.

Plus, Booming Blade and War Caster is nice. It's really not that bad.
Thread posts: 486
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.