[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Pitiless Ones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: gentry-thunderer-105222[1].png (622KB, 415x635px) Image search: [Google]
gentry-thunderer-105222[1].png
622KB, 415x635px
>Party goes around slaughtering monsters, fucking hoes, and burning the housings and livelihoods of monsters and forestfolk
>Suddenly whilst they are traveling towards their next destination, reality begins to twist and invert, starts melt away as the sounds of the damned echo around them, screaming in terror and pain as existence breaks apart
>Then from the infinite blackness comes a single phrase, of pure mind numbing horror
>GREETINGS

How would your party react to encountering the Gentry /tg/?
>>
>>52722134
Well, apparently since we're big dumb murderhobos we try to kill it. I mean, really OP, if you're going to set up a whole narrative about what my party's done and how we go about things, why are you even bothering to ask?
>>
>>52722203
Well there isn't really any way for one to attract the Gentry's attention WITHOUT the party being big dumb murderhobos. The only other way would be for the people of that campaign setting to be completely and utterly stupid, and regularly go to war and murder each other for the lulz.
>>
File: IMG_2125.jpg (751KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2125.jpg
751KB, 1920x1080px
>>52722134
Play some Sabbaton and get to killing.
>>
>>52722134
Win, because the Gentry are only a big threat when being ominously hinted at, they went down like bitches when actually faced with a main story battle.

After that night's game I imagine my group would excuse themselves from the campaign, as it would have become clear that the DM is doing the same trite, fake-philosophy metashit thing he always does. It may have been fun the first time, but now he's just repeating himself in steadily less elegant ways, and I'd rather not fight a bunch of foes that are essentially "other DMs are bad, play my games or these villains that represent bad DMing win!" incarnate again.
>>
>>52722285
>Win, because the Gentry are only a big threat when being ominously hinted at, they went down like bitches when actually faced with a main story battle.

That "main story battle" involved ridiculously OP heroes from all across the multiverse that embodied the very concepts that the Gentry are weak against. It also doesn't matter because mister bad DM supreme aka the Empty Hand, can just revive them on a moment's notice.
>>
>>52722345
>That "main story battle" involved ridiculously OP heroes from all across the multiverse that embodied the very concepts that the Gentry are weak against.

The important thing about these guys, narratively speaking, wasn't their power though. It was that they were the heroes that mattered in the story. All the things the Gentry rekt were just knock-offs and points of comparison for other heroes.

In D&D, the main party are the heroes that matter.
>>
>>52722409
Indeed. Honestly, if one were to make a campaign revolving around the Gentry it would have to be full of meta-symbolism for it to work. Less "heroes vs giant monsters", and more "heroic archetypes vs creative sterility given form".
>>
Has anything actually happened with Empty Hand yet or has he just done the whole 'teleports you away' deal and fucked off somewhere?
>>
>>52722582
Nothing of note.

In fact, that whole thing may be scrapped now, with the demolishing of the n52.
>>
>>52722582
Nope. And with the whole destruction of the New 52 we might never see the culmination to Mr Morrison's epic tale.
>>
>>52722732
Thank the fucking lord.

I'm so sick of his shit.
>>
>>52722658
They're scrapping Nu52?

Well, Empty Hand is supposed to be a representation of editor's stifling creativity and he jumps on multiverses which are dying so, makes sense that he appears near the end of Nu52 when it's being scrapped.
>>
File: multiversity27[1].png (335KB, 627x285px) Image search: [Google]
multiversity27[1].png
335KB, 627x285px
>>52722751
May I inquire as to why Anon? Not being mean or anything, just asking. Do you just hate his writing style?
>>
File: RCO018_1490206726.jpg (3MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO018_1490206726.jpg
3MB, 3975x3056px
>>52722582
not yet, although personally I'm thinking he's been manipulating Dr Manhattan in secret, which is why he's been fucking around with Earth 0, unknowingly weakening it so that The Empty Hand can feed on it and the rest of Multiverse 1 like he had done to Multiverse 2(notably Multiverse 2 was probably the Marvel Multiverse, as that issue of Multiversity came out at almost the exact same time that the Incursions finished destroying the multiverse to begin Secret Wars)

also the newest Multiversal threat to have emerged in Marvel is definitely sharing a lot of imagery with The Empty Hand and The Gentry, so there might be an unofficial connection between them(especially since Ewing is involved)

>>52722658
>>52722732
>>52722758
not sure where you're getting the idea that Nu52 is being scrapped, cause while some pre-Flashpoint stuff is being brought back, I've heard nothing that indicates it's being scrapped entirely
>>
>>52722272
Top tier music taste
>>
File: RCO019_1490206726.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO019_1490206726.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>52722853
>>
>>52722853
>>52722758
I'm just going with what I've heard. The last time I really checked up on the big events for comics was the Secret Wars, Game of Kings, and just before Doom gave up his power to return everything and restart the multiverse.

Actually, can you fill me in on WTF has been going on since then? I'm massively out of the loop.
>>
>>52722853
>Sees image
>What

What exactly has been going on with Marvel since I last checked in on it? I kinda left it for DC after I saw that it's writing was getting progressively shittier over time. Anything interesting come up?
>>
>>52723219
read The Ultimates(2016), and The Ultimates 2, as well as New Avengers(2015) and U.S. Avengers to catch up on some of the most important stuff regarding Marvel's current cosmic state

Al Ewing is probably the best writer Marvel has at the moment
>>
>>52722134
Kick their shit in

Bitches you're in the wrong fucking genre if you think that shit is going to fly.
>>
File: scroll-away-from-this-photo[1].jpg (556KB, 484x751px) Image search: [Google]
scroll-away-from-this-photo[1].jpg
556KB, 484x751px
>>52723441
Thanks Anon. Also just as a general question, how would /tg/ depict the Gentry or other cosmic threats within their settings?
>>
>>52722839
I think he's fresh out of ideas and is essentially throwing the same message at his audience over and over, less and less articulately each time. He no longer creates interesting concepts, just reworks of his old ones, and everything he does is shockingly obvious. He plays up his ideas as though they're incredibly far-out and deep, but in reality, they're pretty simple - everything is buildup without delivery. The sole trick he has left up his sleeve is playing on the audience perception of him as 'the meta writer' and inviting them to participate - by buying his comics, they are fighting 'the Gentry', the glut of writers who are turning fun heroic stories into dour tragedies. Ironically, Morrison is guilty of pretty much everything the Gentry represent, especially in this very story.

He peaked with Invisibles, Seven Soldiers, and All-Star. Everything since then has been completely uninspiring. He's also very, very bad at writing actual characters - he can create a very complex story full of weird visuals, but his ability to emulate the voice of a person is usually pretty poor, and they all tend to come off as sounding like Grant Morrison, especially when they're serving as mouthpieces for him. The only exception that comes to mind right now is his Emma Frost, who was absolutely spectacular.
>>
>>52722853
>>52722868
Christ, look at this shit. This dialogue.

How many of these vague "I was the first thing, I am an even more potent metaphor for some meta thing than the last version of me, everything will soon return to the nothingness that is I" are we going to have in ten years' time? Twenty? Thirty?

Can we stop going back to this shit? We have danced this dance so many fucking times now.
>>
>>52723567
Interesting. Glad you decided to share Anon. But in all honesty, I see Morrison as LEAGUES better than what Marvel is currently spewing out. Marvel has completely butchered itself in it's desire to appease the lowest common denominator, and it's writing and sales have suffered for it.
>>
>>52723863
I agree, the last thing Marvel put out that interested me was Vision.

But until he learns to write something other than the same thing over and over, I'd prefer that Morrison fucked off from comics. Marvel's current problems don't really change that.
>>
Well I'm real glad I stopped reading comics a decade ago cause this shit is lame.
>>
>>52726125
>Thinks comics he hasn't even read are lame when he has no experience with them to base his assumptions on

You must be fun at parties Anon.
>>
Explain the Gentry pls.
>>
>>52723567
>He peaked with Invisibles, Seven Soldiers, and All-Star.
That's not how you spell Doom Patrol.
>>
>>52726666
Small landowners.
>>
>>52726672
That's not how you spell >>>/co/
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.