[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 114

File: 1467814532388.png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1467814532388.png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Renown edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>52604131
>>
File: apirateslife.jpg (129KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
apirateslife.jpg
129KB, 750x523px
>>52720066
Fair point. Does this feel more piratey?

Bonus removal.
>>
File: Blademaster (1).jpg (139KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Blademaster (1).jpg
139KB, 744x1039px
>>
I'll as again I guess.

>>52720701
Ar those fine? I'm especially asking about Guldfaxe, I want to have at least one uncommon legend per colour but don't want them to be overpowered.
>>
File: 1 Red Uncommons Second Draft.jpg (882KB, 2250x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1 Red Uncommons Second Draft.jpg
882KB, 2250x1046px
Reposting in the new thread with suggested wording fixes. Other feedback, as always, is more than welcome.
>>52721021
Looting on hit certainly feels piratey. Are you doing anything with gold tokens or clues? Maps and treasure are both pretty piratey, and if you used both it'd be easy to work an artifact subtheme into the set (especially with the vehicles you're already using).
To the Gallows is weird in that it shows a guillotine. Cardwise it's fine, but that art-to-flavor disconnect is noticeable.
>>52721080
This feels a bit boring. It's lackluster unless you hit renown, and even then it's nothing more than an efficient beater.
>>
File: 1487293355802742.png (241KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1487293355802742.png
241KB, 375x523px
>>52720855
>>
>>52721021
Bushido still doesn't feel right with pirates.
>>
File: uu02 Mímir the Rememberer.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
uu02 Mímir the Rememberer.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
I don't have other ideas for the blue uncommon legend. Figuring out this card's desired power is a pain as well.
>>
>>52722041
Are you making a set? What are its themes? Mechanics? Large set or small set? How many commons/uncommons/rares/mythics? Monocolored? Enemy pairs? Allied pairs? Shards? Wedges? 5color?Do you have a set skeleton?
>>
File: Lightning Shock.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Shock.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
I love red, but I don't like the choice of design for creatures that Lightning Bolt forces upon them, if you have less than 3 body, you are screwed because LB can can kill any creature with just one mana, so I just came up with this, it's not meant to be incredibly strong, but what do you think?
>>
File: Norse Set.jpg (588KB, 1550x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Norse Set.jpg
588KB, 1550x1080px
>>52722161
Recap:
It's a top-down Norse Mythology big set. It's Mechanics (at this point of working) you can see on the picture.
It has a Legendary theme, similar to Kamigawa, but far lighter on the rare side of things. There is a skewed cycle of legendary uncommon creatures (white has 2) as well as 1 uncommon legendary artifact creature and one legendary common creature (waiting on more feedback on this one).

It's primarily monocolored with a cycle of enemy-colored gold cards and a cycle of mono-colored creature that recieve bonuses if an allied basic land is on the battlefield (the green one is Hedge Troll from Planar Chaos).

I'm aiming at 259 cards: 91 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares and 15 mythics.

Define set skeleton.
>>
File: Covetous Initiate.png (211KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Covetous Initiate.png
211KB, 375x523px
>>52716442
>Bane
No problem, I know you like knowing when cards are finally done.

>Envious
Yeah it's not something that can get as dangerous as Prowess, but it does combo with Prowess, so that's nice. I also considered making it +1/+1 for each card that opponent has in hand more than you have, but that seems like too much math for an evergreen. I dunno about the Slith ability since while all colors get +1/+1 counters, blue is the weakest color in them, and black is second weakest, so it feels off to give them counters out of hand like that. Though, blue does tend to use them as a resource but that's going to make commons difficult to design.

>Jealousy
Yeah when thinking these keywords up I tried my damnedest to go at it from the angle of "not another evasion keyword" and "what do blue and black share or could potentially share that's keywordable and isn't mill?". Their ability to steal cards and cast them using any color of mana lead me to consider the fact that UB loves secrets because it's covetous of everything it doesn't have. It wants to have it all, and be the biggest brain around. Superiority complexes breed envy, so I ran with it. Glad it translated.

Card for reference.

>>52717140
>common legends
Ehh... not my cuppa. It's funny for a design challenge but not so much for an actual set. Maybe use Grandeur if you're going to go for it? It'd fit, especially since it seems your theme is Norse mythology.

>>52721021
When I think of pirates, I think of something like Frenzy being a better keyword for them, because it rewards "getting in" and that's kinda what pirates are all about. Sure they are vicious when you confront them, but the payoff is in the heist, and most of them, while able fighters, are not very disciplined and the fluff baggage that Bushido and Parry have is that they represent combatants trained from a young age to specifically battle other warriors.

>>52721080
Not a bad card, just not really inspiring either.

(cont.)
>>
>>52722348
Actually Grandeur might be a good idea. I'll think about it.
>>
>>52722348 (cont)

>>52722237
A good idea, but way too cheap. That's 5 damage for RR that gets to hit two targets. Too much utility.

Also we don't see much Lightning Bolt anymore because Searing Spear is the balanced version, and Shock is what they seem to be aiming for for one mana red removal, which is fine because it balances well against cards like Disfigure, while still being better since red is better at burn.

>>52721763
Okay, now I can get to these.

>UR01
Oh gosh. This is really strong. I'd make it a rare.

>UR02
Seems spot on to me.

>UR03
Nice combo for UR. I hate you for making it look so easy.

>UR04
Hm, a blockable Fireball. Fine by me. Compares well to Spark Elemental because it scales well into the late game and isn't temporary.

>UR05
So a 3/4 spread across three bodes, two of which are Mogg Fanatics but in ramp flavor, for 3 with additional upsides? Hm, not sure about the power level here. I'm not sure an additional mana is the answer; maybe 1RR and RR for the Evoke?

>UR06
Ooh, spicy. We don't see enough of red's "turncoat fight" ability, so I like this.

>UR07
Seems fine.

>UR08
Very nice, but I thought the point of the 2brid mana costs was to activate your CMC5 thing?

>UR09
Perfect utility spell.

>UR10
>literal suicide bomber
Oh wow. It's also really mean to toss on your finisher. Keep an eye on it.

>UR11
I feel like this was changed slightly since last I saw it, but I recall liking it then and it seems okay now, but possibly a bit pricey either in terms of casting cost or activation cost. One or the other feels like it needs to be pared down slightly.

Overall, pretty good Timeanon.

>>52721779
Red doesn't get flying often enough to lend it to a non-Dragon card, I don't think. I also think you can just say "Whenever @ becomes blocked". Not sure about the pingstrike AND mana ramp though. Seems a bit much overall.
>>
>>52722548
>Red doesn't get flying often is we exclude dragons

Well, we had examples of Vampires and flying Goblins in the past.

>Too much utility for RR
You need to consider that it's not 5 damage, is 2+3, and it's quite different. 3 Damage to a player for R is quite normal these days, and shock being shock doesn't kill all threats as intended, also, if you play it early you don't develop your board and you will stay behind as a standard red player, if you play it later its value automatically decreases. At least, that was my reasoning behind it.
>>
>>52722664
Red is still tertiary in flying at best, and only on limited tribes for the most part. There are some exceptions but I don't think that card is a valid one personally.

>utility
It's also one card. Keep that in mind. When you get the ability to face a player for 3 AND remove a creature with 2 or less toughness with one card, that's a big advantage in terms of utility. There's a reason the Charm spells are expensive for what you get; it's because they are what you need when you need it all on one card. Compare what you made to Chandra's Outrage, for example. It does 4 to a creature and 2 to face, so it's more valuable removal, and less as a player burn spell. Yours is 2 mana for 2 to a creature and 3 to face, which is a bit less valuable in terms of killing creatures, but only has one less point of total utility for 2 less mana. Normally utility goes up as costs go up, so what works at 4 mana doesn't inversely work at 2. That's how I'm looking at it. I guess you'd have to wait on more feedback to see what others think to get a better spread of opinions.
>>
>>52722945
>>52722664
Also, for the record, there's one monored flying Vampire. Not much of a precedent. The rest need black to get flying, which is secondary in flying and has a stronger tie to it, so it giving flying to gold cards is more permissible.
>>
>>52722237
If you don't want Bolt to make some creatures unplayable just reprint Shock and add some incidental burn to your other red cards.
>>
>>52722348
Envious seems more BR than UB.

>>52722237
Too cheap. It's both a better Shock and a better Searing Blood and doesn't pay anything for the flexibility.

>>52721021
Gallows is just a worse Murder.
>>
>>52723187
>more BR than UB
I get the Hellbent angle, and I mentioned it last thread. I think the difference is that BR wants to play EVERYTHING it has as aggressively as possible, while UB would rather toe the line and use cards when it needs to, relying on its fairly strong draw to keep it supplied and not topdecking while keeping Envious active. It's a little less straightforward, so I figured it was a decent fit. Plus they are making U more aggressive these days with Prowess and better low CMC creatures so I figured it might fight the new design paradigm I think I'm seeing.
>>
>>52723284
>fight the design paradigm
I meant *fit* the paradigm. Sorry.
>>
File: Molten Elemental.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Molten Elemental.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Card that was modified from another game to sate my curiosity (Notably, how well do these translate to magic?). What do you guys think?
>>
>>52723330
Permanent ramp isn't red. It's also too cheap, or too big for the cost.
>>
>>52723330
Normally, searching out lands is both a Green thing and it's on enter the battlefield, not on cast.
>>
>>52723330
Typically green does land ramp like this, so I'd say it'd be better off in green, but would probably need a flavor change at that rate, since a fiery elemental of burning isn't very green, but mechanics trump flavor most times.

Now, red also gets ramp in the form of ritual effects, so you could have the elemental do something like make Mountains you control add an additional R to your mana pool whenever you tap them for mana the turn it enters the battlefield. Cost would need changing at that rate but it would fit red really well.
>>
>>52723366
On cast was a conscious choice, so the effect won't trigger if the creature is cheated out.

>>52723348
>>52723372
It'd presumably be part of a cycle of land tutors for each color. It may be less offensive to have them be manadorks or add mana in some other fashion though, it's true.
>>
>>52722342
Read the nuts and bolts design articles.
>>
File: Magma Stoker.png (289KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Magma Stoker.png
289KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52723187
>>52722548
Ok, what if I make Lightning Shock a Sorcery?
>>
>>52724052
To tell you the truth, I think making the Entwine cost 2 generic mana would be fine.
>>
File: Volatile Blitzer.jpg (208KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Volatile Blitzer.jpg
208KB, 744x1039px
>>
>>52724352
This stands to lock you down quite a bit if things go sour in your matchup or your opponent is aggressive. Not sure how I feel about it.
>>
>>52724419
I know. The upside is that it's immune to removal and that it's 4 hasty power for 2 mana. Though I myself am not sure if he's balanced.
>>
File: Appoint Champion.png (283KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Appoint Champion.png
283KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Supreme Gentleman.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Supreme Gentleman.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Just According to Keikaku.png (208KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Just According to Keikaku.png
208KB, 375x523px
Name, image, and flavor text are all obviously a joke, but the effect is intended.
>>
>>52721021
>to the gallows
>picture is a guillotine, not a gallows
>>
File: Crystal Cavern.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal Cavern.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
The idea to make this Legendary has crossed my mind, if it's currently too good.
>>
>>52725915
It's good but slow. I don't think it needs legendary.
>>
Hall of Blood
Land
Whenever you take damage, put that many charge counters on ~.
T: Add {C} to your mana pool.
T, remove three charge counters from ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Hall of Knowledge
Land
If you would draw a card, you may instead put a charge counter on ~.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if ~ has a charge counter on it.

Hall of Power
Land
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, put a charge counter on ~.
T, remove a charge counter from ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
>>
File: UM15 Osari Exaltation.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UM15 Osari Exaltation.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Here's a weird ritual variant (my block has ritual effects back in black, shared with red).
>>52722548
Thanks for the feedback, anon! I'll take those points into consideration.
>>
>>52725626
I actually like it, it makes every Johnny cry.

me included
>>
File: Toils of War.png (285KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Toils of War.png
285KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Demon of Avarice.png (267KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Demon of Avarice.png
267KB, 375x523px
>>52724955
I kinda like this. It could be GW as well, but it's totally fine in monoG. It might be safer at 3 counters but it is a three mana investment. I'd have to hear how it played, honestly.

>>52725915
Man, I have tried to come up with a similar land before, but this is more elegant than anything I managed. Good show.

>>52726037
Black gets convoke on its own as per M15, so you could make this monoblack if you wanted. It's fine as-is though. Power level should be alright.

>feedback
I hope it was useful somehow. I always get the feeling even though you thank me for it every time it's not terribly useful to you overall.

>>52726239
Fuck Vigilance: the Card. I feel like it could be monoR, but again, as with many gold cards, this is fine too. I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet.

So if I've got this new mechanic I might as well use it and see how it feels on some cards.
>>
>>52727388
Crystal Cavern anon here. Thanks man, I've been considering how to do a fair multiland for awhile, and that's the best I came up with.
>>
File: Shrewd Informant.png (230KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shrewd Informant.png
230KB, 375x523px
>>52727769
Only tweak it needs is to change the 1 to a colorless symbol. Then it's good to go.

I wanted to make this common, but I don't think I can get away with it.
>>
File: Colin Wilkes7.jpg (97KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Colin Wilkes7.jpg
97KB, 752x523px
>>52721021
>To the Gallows
Sorry, but it's trash. At that cost, you could make it say "Exile target creature."

Pretty certain I've seen Final Stand before. None of them really stick out to me one way or the other.

>>52722348
>Bane
Well, I only really get like that when the cards make me start pulling my hair out. Currently at that point with Doctor Strange. Or Colin here. I think my biggest problem is balancing the transformation while still keeping it interesting.

>>52726239
Seems like fun.
>>
>>52727947
>>52721763
Whoops, missed a link.
>>
>>52727947
I'm trying to figure out why you randomly capitalized beginning, and drawing a blank. Just a slip of the shift key? I know you've been brewing long enough to know better.
>>
>>52727947
I dunno why you're having issues with Abuse (that sounds strange to say...). Not every hero or character is flashy. Some are just bricks or fly or are smart or shoot bow good. No sense in stressing yourself over spicing something up that's canonically vanilla.
>>
>>52727844
I'm not sure if Magic Set Editor can do that. I checked the program and the website, and I wasn't able to find anything. Am I just ignorant here?

And yeah, that thing screams Uncommon to me. It'd have to lose one ability or the other to hit common.
>>
>>52728035
Well, since the second ability doesn't work without the first, I figured it was clever. Sort of. But yeah, I'm fine with it as it is.

For colorless mana, try [C].
>>
File: Renee the Question3.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Renee the Question3.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Previous version had Prowess, felt kinda superfluous so I took it off for now. Not really sure on the ability, just had the idea, but I kinda like the flexibility of it.

>>52727987
>Just a slip of the shift key?
Yes. Didn't even notice it.

>>52727998
Yeah, I do have issues with letting cards not be flashy. I call it Complexity Addiction. OK, I'll move it to the finished pile then. Thanks.
>>
File: Anti-Monitors Wrath.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Anti-Monitors Wrath.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
>>52728035
Works fine for me.
>>
>>52727947
If Abuse takes 4 damage and transforms into Colin, he dies.
>>
>>52728142
Thanks. Fuck this card.
>>
File: Isolated Grove.png (248KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Isolated Grove.png
248KB, 375x523px
>>
File: The Man With No Name.png (249KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Man With No Name.png
249KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Sorcerous Perfectionist.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerous Perfectionist.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>52728167
Just change it to a "beginning of each upkeep" trigger on Abuse to mirror Colin and to fix the issue.

>>52728114
I think I'd rather see this as +X/+0 instead of direct damage, but I dunno that much about The Question and I dunno that much about that sort of effect. Also, is a card that comes off the library the same object that goes into the graveyard? I know zone changes can affect the game's memory.

>>52728129
Ouch. For 9 mana? Yeah, sure. I'd put some kind of anti-cheat clause onto it, but that's just me.

>>52728194
I think this is way too good. GG turn 1, CG turn two isn't that big a drawback.

>>52728257
"Enters the battlefield". Also straight destruction is a black thing, not red. It'd be better as a BR card as a result.

So I said I'd do Prowess + Envious, and here it is.
>>
>>52728359
>Also, is a card that comes off the library the same object that goes into the graveyard?
Technically, I doubt it, but it doesn't really matter anyway since effects like this keep track of the card as it changes zones.
>>
File: The Man With No Name.png (235KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Man With No Name.png
235KB, 375x523px
>>52728359
This better?
>>
>>52728418
Yeah, but I think it probably needs to cost more too. Also it should probably be Legendary. Terminate is BR to destroy a creature flat out, and a 4/2 first striker with haste would probably cost at least 4 mana, so... 4BR for the whole package? Would make it a bit easier to cast as well.
>>
File: Rem Karolus.png (317KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Rem Karolus.png
317KB, 396x554px
>>
>>52728457
Not the creator, but double colored cards are harder to cast, and this also has double colored mana costs. I would remove first strike thou.
>>
File: The Man With No Name.png (237KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Man With No Name.png
237KB, 375x523px
>>52728457
>>52728549
I'm new to this which was probably obvious, is this reasonable?
>>
>>52728470
>Le Eldrazi are degenerate :^))))
Fuck off
>>
>>52728661
Don't forget artifacts, anon!
>>
>>52728618
3BR
4/2
Haste or first strike
Etb murder.
>>
>>52728676
I almost forgot about those! And all those degenerate elves! God! Can WotC NOT ruin the game with balanced and answerable cards? I shouldn't need to put a set of PoE's and counterspells in my shitty $50 deck just to compete at the pro level!
>>
>>52728736
It's a goddamn joke card, calm your tits.
>>
File: Act of Duty.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Act of Duty.png
247KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Act of Trust.png (254KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Act of Trust.png
254KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52728739
>Make card that targets the competitive stuff
>I-it was just a joke!
>>
>>52728868
>angels and demons are both tier 1 competitive decks that have won multiple gps
Or it's just all the people in shadows block that want humans dead, that Rem is known for murderfucking.
>>
File: Verdant Paradise.png (323KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Verdant Paradise.png
323KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Roy Harper Arsenal2.jpg (61KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Roy Harper Arsenal2.jpg
61KB, 375x523px
>>52729786
I don't really understand the idea behind this. Feels off that the people who get the tokens don't correspond with who's actually casting the spell, but that could just be me.
>>
>>52730236
Why does Roy make servos?
>>
File: Kor Aspirant.png (216KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kor Aspirant.png
216KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Pirate Hunter.png (240KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate Hunter.png
240KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52730820
He made robots ("Roybots") in RHatO.

>>52731758
Eh, will the counters even be worth it after you give it the support to deal damage?

>>52731764
You shouldn't have X refer to two different values on a card, unless they're mutually exclusive.
>>
File: Brutal Crusher.jpg (140KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Brutal Crusher.jpg
140KB, 744x1039px
Had an idea.
>>
>>52736245
I'm away at relatives. I'll make some cards later tonight. Happy Christian Appropriated Fertility Festival.
>>
>>52736851
CO anon here, I'm in the same boat. Plus, I have work later. Won't be on comp until much later. Happy Zombie Day!
>>
File: Yes Man Kablaam.png (291KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yes Man Kablaam.png
291KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Ballbuster.png (240KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ballbuster.png
240KB, 375x523px
>>
File: The Soulraider.jpg (209KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
The Soulraider.jpg
209KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: 1489113567931362.png (291KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1489113567931362.png
291KB, 375x523px
>>52720855
>>
>>52738148
Not bad. Lifelink may be a bit too much.
>>
>>52738148
I exile Death Shadow, gg I won.
>>
File: Klear-Ri Feasting King.png (228KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Klear-Ri Feasting King.png
228KB, 375x523px
>>52720855
Waiting for power level opinions
>>
File: Fate & Fortune.png (539KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fate & Fortune.png
539KB, 750x523px
How bad of an idea is this?
>>
So now that the dust has settled, who did not!Egypt better? Wizards or that /tg/ guy?
>>
>>52742234
-3 is OK. Everything else seems underwhelming.
>>
File: Fate & Fortune 2.png (538KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fate & Fortune 2.png
538KB, 750x523px
>>52742538
Added some self-enabling abilities, just in case there's anyone that wants to use them separately or something.
>>
>>52744245
Coin flips aren't very blue, if I recall.
>>
>>52744537
Coin flips are Red and Blue/Red gold card, but I needed a way to make it self-sufficient for those people that like to make decks for cards with Partner that aren't the intended ones or that only use a single general, even with partner.
>>
File: Morbid Dream.png (215KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Morbid Dream.png
215KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Cut to the Chase.png (306KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cut to the Chase.png
306KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Yuyan Archer.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yuyan Archer.png
247KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Prisoner Dragon.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Prisoner Dragon.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
Expand red's color pie.
>>
File: Ashcloud Deception.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ashcloud Deception.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Primed Override.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Primed Override.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Valley-Cleaver Giant.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Valley-Cleaver Giant.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>52745093
This gave me an idea. Gotta say, I'm really liking Red's land tapdown.
>>
>>52745219
I'd make it
>Until end of turn, it gains haste is "When this creature dies, it deals 5 damage to its owner."
>>
>>52744662
Coin flips are red. They do not show up in monoU at any time, and when they show up in UR it's because of R. Gatherer has my back on this one, and even a Partner Commander has to stand in its color if it's monocolored. Flips do not stand in monoU.
>>
>>52745646

Makes sense, yeah. The idea with it and >>52745119 was to play with the treachery mechanics.
>>
>>52745725
I know. Hence why I said Red and Blue/Red gold.
Blue/Red gold meaning cards that are gold and have blue and red.
>>
>>52745836
I think his point is that it doesn't make sense for flips to be on a mono-Blue card.
>>
>>52745836
Gold cards are constructed of their constituent colors. Both colors bring mechanics to the party, so to speak. So, what part of your statement here defends coin flips on a monoU card?

>Blue/Red gold meaning cards that are gold and have blue and red.
Indeed, and what part of that supports your argument here?
>>
File: Fungal Forest.png (257KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fungal Forest.png
257KB, 375x523px
>>
File: three in 1 slightly smaller.jpg (189KB, 900x419px) Image search: [Google]
three in 1 slightly smaller.jpg
189KB, 900x419px
>>
File: 1 Green Uncommons First Draft.jpg (841KB, 2250x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1 Green Uncommons First Draft.jpg
841KB, 2250x1046px
First draft of the green uncommons for my set are up!

>>52744925
It's always nice to see old, familiar cards. Still solid.
>>52744941
Very red. I like it.
>>52744964
With the advent of red reach, this doesn't have to be green anymore if you don't want it to be. Also, are you the anon who was making a ton of AtLA cards a while back? If so, how's that going?
>>52745093
I'm not a fan of this monstrosity + tribute idea. It adds a form of resource denial into every color, which feels weird. Additionally, I feel like keeping the costs balanced would be difficult. I worry that you'd just end up with the worst parts of tribute and the worst parts of monstrosity.
>>52745119
Feels more like a 2RR situation, but overall, I like it. I suggest you nix the haste reminder text and change the art and flavor text, though.
>>52745219
Your wording for the last ability is way off. Should be "When that creature dies this turn, [EFFECT]" I believe. Or what >>52745646 suggested.
>>52745629
Four lands seems a bit steep. Maybe three to line up with the tribute amount and the p/t?
>>52746867
I feel as though this is deceptively powerful. I'm not sure what else to say about it outside of any context.
>>52747725
>>52747767
What is orbiting? What are cities? Why does Chad have split second and persist? Why are you trying to cram so much text onto Tsairin? I have so many questions that need answering before I can even come close to evaluating these cards.
>>
>>52747836
>What is orbiting
It's a space version of flying. Functions like a reflavored shadow, mostly, except they can be blocked by creatures with orbital reach.

>Why does Chad have split second and persist?
Because Chad is Earth's self-proclaimed hero and he won't go down without a fight. When alien invaders think he's out of the way, he always manages to pop up again to save the day, and they're going to have to do more than a little counterspell to get rid of him.

>Why are you trying to cram so much text onto Tsairin?
Couldn't think of a more concise way of phrasing the ability.
>>
>>52747872
Oh and cities are a land type. Or perhaps they'll act as "enchantments" on lands because lands are usually planets. I haven't decided yet. It's for flavor, to demonstrate Chad's urban suaveness.
>>
File: Eldritch Supplicant.png (268KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Supplicant.png
268KB, 375x523px
>>52747836
Oh good, some Timeanon cards to review before bed.

>UG01
Pretty good, but I am kinda on the fence about putting such a strong ramp ability on such a big body. Having to choose between three mana and 4 to the face might be kinda rough. Also, the ramp might be a touch win-more, since you already have to have a decent mana base to get it. Maybe shrink the body and do two mana instead, for cheaper?

>UG02
Thorn Elemental with haste? Sure. Pretty good finisher. Course, if you're going to have sandworms too, you might as well make a mythic Legendary one that is 20/20 to spite WotC and the fake version floating around for Amonkhet.

>UG03
This is really weird to see in green, but green can use the graveyard, and it can make mana, so... yeah, sure. 1G though, I think.

>UG04
Solid.

>UG05
Nice flavor card. Useful but not showstopping. I might make it "another target creature" though, but more for flavor reasons than trying to imply a 5 mana 5/5 is an issue. The Unearth miiight be a touch cheap though, since you probably will make it a 5/5 to swing real quick.

>UG06
>green shade
Well, sure, why not.

>UG07
Spicy.

>UG08
Solid.

>UG09
Also solid.

>UG10
Yeah, alright. I normally chafe a bit at green drawing straight but it plays a bit more like a "choose your own adventure" cantrip than a draw spell.

>UG11
I guess it's useful for second main phase creature plays to get you extra blockers, but it's a bit underwhelming to me.

Torn between keeping this keyword's current name or switching it to Covetous. It just sounds more... elegant.
>>
>>52748075
The discard is counterproductive with envious.
>>
>>52747872
>>52747886
Having two forms of exclusive evasion in the same set is a bad idea. It'll severely cut down the amount that your creatures can organically interact if it has any kind of wide representation in your set.
>Chad
That's all well and good, but it doesn't matter. You should ditch the extra keywords. They're clunky, unrelated, and add little to the card. If you want to illustrate a resilient hero, there are more elegant ways to do so. Give him an activated ability that grants indestructible. Let him return himself from the graveyard to your preferred zone. Give him Squee's ability.
>Tsairin
Creatures can't be attached to other creatures. Ditch the overcomplexity and give her a simpler ability. She can still gain control of artifacts without that weird attach clause. If you want similar flavor, maybe have tapping or sacrificing an artifact as part of the ability's cost.
>Cities
That's probably something you should figure out before you make too many more city-related cards, man.
>>
>>52748095
>target player
Is it?
>>
>>52748095
maybe if you target an opponent with it.
>>
>>52748131
Yes. Because 2-for-1ing yourself just for a potential +1/+1 is not a solid winning strategy.
>>
>>52748143
You know there's reasons you might want to discard something. I mean there's a lot of cards out there that enable self-discard. Fair if you don't care for that kinda stuff though.
>>
>>52748165
A lot of discard outlets also give you something for tossing away a card. And also give you greater control when you discard the card.

If you want to go this route, then make it a
Hidden Horror.
>>
>>52748100
How about this:
>You may choose not to untap artifacts you control during your untap step.
>Artifact creatures you control have “2U, T: Gain control of target artifact for as long as this card remains tapped and under your control.”
>>
>>52748179
I considered making it a sac effect like Mogg Fanatic as well. Also a possibility.
>>
File: Grim Display.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grim Display.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>52748075
>Before bed
I just woke up! Where the hell are you from, man? Or was is just a late night?
>UG01
I went more the Elvish Aberration route with this one. I wanted it to be useful even with Pinnacle off. Also, with so many large mana costs and mana sinks and color requirements, I feel like the extra mana won't go to waste.
>UG02
Sandworms are mandatory. They were in the first set, as were sand hellions. You gotta love sandworms.
>UG05
I can bump up the unearth cost a bit.
>UG06
>Green shade
Yeah, basically. Not a fan?
>Envious vs. Covetous
I feel like Envious gets the flavor across better. Covetous sounds more like you're unwilling to give up the cards in your own hand.
>>
>>52748182
That's better, certainly.
>>
File: Terazhael Bloodsoaked.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Terazhael Bloodsoaked.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52748345
You could just word it like intimidating bolt, rather than muck around with defender.
>>
>>52748456
I know, but mucking about with defender was fun. If the card actually makes it into the set, I'll probably update it.
>>
>>52748345
I'm a night owl. Late nights are pretty common for me.

>UG01
That's fine, I just tend to try and put myself in a new/super casual player's shoes when I look at custom sets, and think about what they might think about.

>UG02
Now you have me wanting a Beetlejuice reference in there as well.

>UG06
No it's fine, I know you have a BG faction. The Banu, right? I don't see a problem with it.

>Envious
Alright then.

>card
I think I've seen this one before. And while I'm inclined to agree with >>52748456, I also think it's fine for flavor, if you want to go that route with it. I wouldn't be upset to see it either way.

>>52748443
Shame she's not more savage/crazy-looking, but it's fine. Pretty good.
>>
File: Aristocratic Blood.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aristocratic Blood.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>52748515

>Shame she's not more savage/crazy-looking, but it's fine. Pretty good.

Yeah, I was keeping with the 'Aristocrat' general theme of vampires.

From a similar line of playing with what Red/Black could be together other than Rakdos stuff. In this case playing with the fact that both of them do some recursion and are more than a bit suicidal.
>>
>>52748182
Chad revision:
>Haste, citywalk (This creature can’t be blocked as long as defending player controls a city.)
I'm keeping citywalk
>Chad Thunderstar gets +1/+1 whenever it is blocking or blocked by one or more non-Human creatures.
>2RW, discard a card: Put Chad Thunderstar from your graveyard onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only if an opponent controls no Human creatures and only as a sorcery.
>>
>>52748666
Inelegant flavor is often worse than no flavor at all, Satan.
>>
>>52748740
Fine fine fine, you're right. He isn't a city infiltrator, he's an alien smasher.
>>
>>52748567
This could easily cost 1BR or possibly even BR given that it's unlikely the opponent has a 5+ CMC inst/sorc to begin with, so the burn half is overcosted without taking into account the card disadvantage. Rebuy half is fine at RB too so I definitely lowering the cost to at least 1RB.

>>52748443
0 mana 3/X with recursion? Dredge says hi. Also lifelink and life should not be capitalized.

>>52748075
Thinking about it I think I like envious. It only has synergy with half of each color (discard-for-tempo in B and tempo cards like Boomerang in U), but those are the halves that actually care about having creatures.
Card is fine but I'd prefer it as a 2/1.
>>
>>52749018

>This could easily cost 1BR or possibly even BR given that it's unlikely the opponent has a 5+ CMC inst/sorc to begin with, so the burn half is overcosted without taking into account the card disadvantage. Rebuy half is fine at RB too so I definitely lowering the cost to at least 1RB.

Yeah, likely will. I was playing careful with it due to it's ability to be used as either an odd burn or a rebuy.
>>
>>52749018

>0 mana 3/X with recursion? Dredge says hi.

Yeah, if the set included dredge she'd be a poor choice to print in-set. Mind you, dredge is a 10 on the Storm scale so I wasn't really considering it.
>>
>>52749115
Even without dredge I think the "spells have lifelink" clause makes it a little too self-sufficient. At least make the return sorcery-speed.
>>
>>52748567
>It is owner loses life equal to it is converted mana cost.
Anyway, you could probably just say "That player" since you already referenced the card's owner.
>>
File: Lightning Cards.png (1MB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Cards.png
1MB, 1875x523px
>>52747836

>Also, are you the anon who was making a ton of AtLA cards a while back? If so, how's that going?

It's been on a looong hiatus. Looking back on some cards now, some of them aren't quite up to snuff.

Lightningbending is my pet favorite mechanic, but it could use a catchier name.
>>
File: Avatar Cards.png (2MB, 1000x1116px) Image search: [Google]
2MB, 1000x1116px
>>52749433
>>52747836

Here are some more. Some good, some bad.
>>
>>52749433
>Lightningbending is my pet favorite mechanic, but it could use a catchier name.
If you don't care about keeping it tied to Avatar, maybe Energize?
>>
File: Sapped Terrain.png (255KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sapped Terrain.png
255KB, 375x523px
>>52749475

Energize sounds pretty good. I might give them all better names so it's not so insular.

Additionally, the generic 5 bending mechanics are all functionally identical for now, so those need changing. I think I got the flavor spot-on, so that's good at least.
>>
File: artifactslands.jpg (1MB, 1875x2615px) Image search: [Google]
artifactslands.jpg
1MB, 1875x2615px
There is a strong artifact/land theme. There won't be any clue tokens, but definitely gold and equipment tokens at common.
>>
File: ships.jpg (132KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
132KB, 750x523px
>>52751890
whoops wrong version of 2 ships.
>>
>>52751890
>Bottle of Rum
Seems really bad with the no-untap clause. Maybe sorc speed only? Then you could let it hit any creature.

>Tranquil Thicket
Name is in use.
Other than that I think costing the cantrip effect at (2) is expensive enough since they enter tapped.

Can't really say much more since I haven't played many limited formats with lots of equipment. Flavour seems spot on, though.
>>
>>52747836
>UG01
>If you're already making more mana than everyone else, have some more mana.
Not a fan.

>UG02
Seems a bit much for an uncommon.

>UG03
I think it should either specify exile from your graveyard, or make it target to exile from any graveyard. Anyway, card seems kinda off, like it's not sure what it wants to really be.

>UG04
Green Cat tokens? Odd. Seems OK though I guess.

>UG05
Eh.

>UG06
Not bad. Nice use of the Shade pump.

>UG07
Seems really off compared to UG06. Not even really sure how to judge it.

>UG08
OK.

>UG09
Nice. But why not pure hybrid?

>UG10
Odd take on Journey of Discovery. Not sure I like it.

>UG11
Seems OK.
>>
Decided to take another shot at Jace.

>>52751890
>Anchoridge Sentinels
Meh.

>Bottle of Rum
Seems incredibly weak. I doubt it would even see play in draft.

>Captain's Hook
Eh, not a fan of the name. Is every Pirate a captain? Also kinda wish it had a toughness boost.

>Clockwork Sentinel
Interesting

>Construct of Paradise
I really like this one.

>Duelist's Cutlass
Oh, still trying to make Bushido work? Eh, I guess it's OK.

>Merchant Ship
Meh.

>Sailor's Leg
Kinda cool.

>Wayfarer's Bauble
I'd just recommend what Time anon does, just put something like (R) in the title.

>sac lands
These seems OK. Wondering if you could get away with a lower cost for the draw though. Could be wrong of course.
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter10.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter10.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52753246
And I forgot to post Jace. Of course.
>>
>>52749018
>envious
Well that's good to hear. Now, what if I change the cadr to work more like Mogg Fanatic and sac? Still think 2/1 would be okay?
>>
Ugh, bump. I've been thinking about asking this question before, so I might as well do it now: What are some cards would you select for a Masterpiece Series, and what plane would they be from?
>>
>>52754736
Actually, I should probably go first. Elixir of Immortality, and preferably Ulgrotha to get Baron Sengir in the art, but I'd be happy with Innistrad or Zendikar vamps in the art too.
>>
>>52754705
I think it would be fine as a Fanatic as long as the sac is sorc speed.
>>
File: feedback.jpg (263KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
feedback.jpg
263KB, 1500x523px
>>52753246
>>52752223
Based off of feedback. The no untap effect is to simulate the creature being intoxicated. However it isn't very clear.

Card distribution is:
14 of each mono color 5 quest lands
1 of each dual color (all non creature spells)
11 artifacts
10 lands.
>>
File: v6UA0sA.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
v6UA0sA.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>52755085
>strong land, artifact and multicolor theme
>nwo
>>
>>52755216
>nwo
I still don't understand why people treat NWO as the death of Magic. The way people talk about it, you'd think Magic turned into the Pokemon TCG.
>>
>>52755282
I'm not saying NWO is a bad thing. NNWO is aka sets past RTR.

Your set is doing too much for its themes, focusing on either lands, artifacts or multicolor might make it simpler for you to design.
>>
>>52755404
Wrong guy, but I see your point.
>>
>>52755085
>The no untap effect is to simulate the creature being intoxicated. However it isn't very clear.
It IS clear, it just forces you to restrict it to your creatures only, and on those it's awful. I strongly recommend the original costs minus restriction and freeze-clause.

>Corsair's Hook
For a potentially free equip I think +2/+1 is plenty.
>>
>>52755085
What >>52755469 said. Hard to judge the land, might have to do playtesting. Forge Steel is cool, though I think you should give the tokens names (Sword? Cutlass? Sabre?). And I'm wondering if the equip cost could be lowered to 1.
>>
>>52751980
>3 dudes
>crew 3

Neat.
>>
>>52748075
Why Envious does only grant a +1/+1 cannot it give more effects or other effects at all other than a stat boost? Just say something, if this card is envious it does X or something like that?
>>
>>52752518
>If you're already making more mana than everyone else, have some more mana.
One of the mechanical themes of the block is big mana matters/cost matters, so having more than five available mana is not winmore, but important in my environment.
>UG03
I'll make it target.
>Anyway, card seems kinda off, like it's not sure what it wants to really be.
It's designed to function as both ramp and grave hate. Ramp is vital in the block, and one of the factions has a graveyard mechanical focus, making some access to grave hate important for all colors. The 2 life bit is simply to keep it relevant if you want to exile a card, but don't need the mana.
>UG04
Recurring thing in the block, tied into the associated faction.
>UG07
It's a Ghost-Lit Warder with a green twist. It might seem vastly different from UG06 because they're cards designed for different factions. The block is built around five enemy-color pair factions. I'll post some examples from each color pair, pic related.
>But why not pure hybrid?
Monohybrid plays into the big mana and cost matters themes while also helping smooth out my multicolored draft environment.

Thanks for the feedback, anon! If you have any other questions about the set/block, I'd be happy to answer them.
>>
File: piratesred.jpg (332KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
piratesred.jpg
332KB, 1500x523px
>>52751980
I like these ships. Been poking at my own pirate-themed set for a while now, although so far nothing's come of it outside of trying to decide what I want pirates to feel like/do, or if I want to make it where Pirate can apply outside of it's usual "boundaries" (like Amonkhet zombies.)

Gold tokens seem like one of the ways to go. These four are a sort of "super-cycle" (rarities and P/T links), just to test the feasibility of certain mechanics.

>Roughneck
Probably too pushed for common, shows one idea for a "plunder" mechanic: exiling the top cards of a library and offering Gold when they don't get cast. Unfortunately it's a massively wordy thing to do, and not very pirate-y (because you're looting yourself). Still worth considering, I think, if it can be properly condensed.

>Greedy Mariner
Path two is "Pirates get to loot when they hit people", which makes sense. This guy has a bit of a "strange" ability, trading power for menace to try and slip in for damage.

>Pierside Recruiter
Tries to do something interesting with a psuedo-Wrangle effect. One of the things considered for pirates was a Threaten effect.

>Scourge
Possibly a pirate legend territory- I like the idea of Plunder busting up artifacts, but the set then becomes Kaladesh 2.0 in an uncomfortable number of ways. I like "plundering" an opponent's artifacts for gold, though.
>>
File: feedbackrevisions2.jpg (191KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
feedbackrevisions2.jpg
191KB, 1125x523px
>>52755641
>>52755469
Based on feedback.

>>52755449
>>52755404
I'll try to tone it down a bit. Multicolor would be the one most likely to go as trinkets/treasure/weapons/ships (artifacts) and fantastical locations (lands) are more crucial to a pirate world.
>>
File: Harley Quinn7.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Harley Quinn7.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Harley again. Just trying to get the balance right. Original idea just did a flat 2 damage, but I felt like making it scale to power. Another addiction I guess, thanks to working on so many creatures and not wanting them to be enchantments on legs.

>>52757106
>UG03
I guess my problem with it is having a modal ability. It's like, why not do a Deathrite Shaman where exiling different types has different effects?

>Monohybrid plays into the big mana and cost matters themes while also helping smooth out my multicolored draft environment.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Why is UG09 2/G 2/G G instead of being 2/G 2/G 2/G? Why have one G there that isn't hybrid?

>anon
You didn't recognize me? Well, I didn't post a card, but others have recognized me from just text.

>Multicolored
Pretty sure I've given feedback for all of these before.

>Unearth
Yeah, I definitely prefer your proto-Embalm ability. Sorry I can't remember the name of it.
>>
File: Rya Judgement Unleashed.jpg (91KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rya Judgement Unleashed.jpg
91KB, 752x523px
Looking for balance feedback
>>
>>52757805
From a balance perspective, it's fine.
You're basically getting a 4/4 indie flyer that can be killed by attackers and player-burn.

From a flavor and internal consistency standpoint, it's way off.
The abilities feel massively unrelated. She kills things to give hexproof (feels like a very UB ability, by the way), gids, and boardwipes then becomes a chump then wins when there's lots of creatues what the fuck?
>>
>>52756345
I certainly could do that. I just haven't yet.
>>
File: Ætherwing Hawk.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherwing Hawk.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>52757784
>It's like, why not do a Deathrite Shaman where exiling different types has different effects?
For the sake of simplicity, mainly. Exiling multiple card types for a variety of different effects would be hard to keep uncommon.
>Why is UG09 2/G 2/G G instead of being 2/G 2/G 2/G?
I didn't want the effect to be available without at least some green mana.
>You didn't recognize me? Well, I didn't post a card, but others have recognized me from just text.
My bad, man. The way you commented made it seem as though you were unfamiliar with my set, and so I assumed you were someone new.
>proto-Embalm ability.
That was in Timeset 2, before my Egypt stuff. Incarnate.
>Harley Quinn
Why modal? Couldn't you make it a single ability that targets that player or target creature he or she controls?
>>
>>52757805
What >>52758082 said, the card is incredibly confused. I think it would be best if you just dropped the DFC part entirely.
>>
File: Mavron Decadent Host 1.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mavron Decadent Host 1.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52758082
What do you think would make for a better +1, tonally? the idea I'm trying to go for is that as long as she's a planeswalker, she's killing things and doin lots of boardwide hurt, but when she flips suddenly you want everything to stay alive.
>Mortals are a blight. They squabble and quarrel, an embarrassment to the world He created for them. I shall wipe them out, the world will be better without them.
Then He punishes her for her actions and she learns the value of life, etc

>pic
Wanted to do something aggro with b/r flavor, worried it's not useful
>>
>>52758507
I'd ditch the concept. "Do one thing, then ult and do something completely different" is just ungainly design.
>>
>>52758180
>The way you commented made it seem as though you were unfamiliar with my set,
Sorry about that.

>Couldn't you make it a single ability that targets that player or target creature he or she controls?
Not the way I want it to. Plus, I'm not too keen on inventing new wording.
>>
File: Ornuk King For a Moment.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ornuk King For a Moment.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>52758555
The card itself may have self conflicting abilites but the idea is that you just pop her into a token deck. Token generation fuels her 1 and keeps you safe, she can do flying damage if you need her to, and if things are going fine then don't ult; for her casting cost, I don't think you need to ult her to justify her. The ult I think would be more of a panic button or something you'd rush if you got her in your opening hand. Then, in the aftermath, you just go back to generating tokens for the victory. call me out if I'm sounding crazy
>>
>>52758836
>call me out if I'm sounding crazy
Not him, but yes. Any card can be good with enough support, even bad ones. Make the planeswalker so it supplements a token deck, not salvaged by it.
>>
>>52758836
Its pointlessly complicated. The second card could be interesting on its own, the first card could be ok on its own, but when you staple them together its not interesting and whatever the story is supposed to be is lost in the complexity of the planeswalker card
>>
File: moon people.jpg (168KB, 900x419px) Image search: [Google]
moon people.jpg
168KB, 900x419px
>>
File: Asharah the Shepherd.png (488KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Asharah the Shepherd.png
488KB, 752x523px
>>52759512
>>52758996
>>52758836
>>52758555
>>52758507
>>52758462
>>52758082
>>52757805
All this talk about that PW made me want to try something kinda like it, but in my own style. Hope the flavor and mechanics are there.
>>
>>52760123
-2 is literally useless. Why would you do that unless you had some red damage based removal. Make it say "until your next turn, prevent all damage etc."

The ultimate should either be -4 to activate, or give you 10 life and 5 1/1s.

>>52760106
What is with Moon Crystal Fanatic? Black to colorless is fine, but why colorless to black with a cost? Is that just life total manipulation?

Also unblockable is no longer a keyword. Just say "cannot be blocked this turn."
>>
>>52760194
>until next turn
Oops, yep, good catch. I fuck that up on PWs a lot. I don't make many of them.
>ult
Hm. Why would you want it to activate faster? A quicker late-game transformation? I realize that most PW ults "win" when they go off, but I figured in the obvious deck build for this, which it also supports, getting twenty creatures wouldn't be too hard. But maybe you're right.
>>
>>52758836
Constant hexproof isn't worth 2WW and a creature each turn.
And winning if you have 11 creatures, one of which is a defenceless 1/1 is strictly winmore, you should have won two turns ago like that.
>>
>>52760248
>>52760194
Oh wait, actually I think maybe it's because you want her more able to use her -2 to preserve your wincon? That'd make sense.
>>
>>52760123
Again. If you have 20+ creatures and 30+ life, you should have already won.
>>
>>52760248
The problem is that Ashara, the Shepherd is much harder to kill than Ashara, the Martyr.

Another thing may be to make the wincon trigger on both the transformation and on upkeep.
>>
File: Isamaru Loyal Watchdog.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Isamaru Loyal Watchdog.png
247KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52760290
>all cards must be turbo-competitive and Spike-friendly
Nah. Fun jank is fun.

>>52760309
>trigger on both transform and upkeep
So... it checks on transform if you have it, then you win, and if not, it becomes the Martyr so you can work for it? I guess, but it sounds wordy. Maybe I'll just tack some tokens onto it as originally suggested and call it janky enough for one day. Though, I have to admit it's kind of a bummer that nobody liked it. I sorta do, personal bias aside. But jank isn't everyone's cuppa.
>>
>>52760423
Just have the creature side say "whenever this card transforms into {x}, or at the beginning of your upkeep, blah blah blah"
>>
File: Asharah the Shepherd.png (492KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Asharah the Shepherd.png
492KB, 752x523px
This'll do, I think, unless someone else has a suggestion that's not part of the Fun Police. Jank cards have the right to exist too!
>>
>>52760466
Ohh. Didn't think of that. Derp. Hm, that could work. I'll tack that onto >>52760475.

Also don't worry, I won't post any more jank today.
>>
>>52760475
It's not "STOP HAVING FUN", it's "This likely won't ever matter, because you'll have won before it would win for you".
Like, if I made a card that said "At the beginning of your end step, if an opponent lost 20 or more life this turn, you win the game.". There's basically no feasible situation where it'd matter.
>>
>>52760466
>>52760491
That won't trigger.
ETBing transformed is different from transforming.

Make it an ETB trigger instead.
>>
>>52760194
I figured that black is usually more versatile than colorless, so they're not really equivalents. I also wanted it to be something of a one way street but to keep the option of converting the other way open. I suppose it could be used for life total manipulation, too.

You think I should either scrap it or get rid of the life cost?
>>
>>52760514
>Epic Struggle
>Helix Pinnacle
>Felidar Soverign
>>
>>52760561
I also changed Lunarian Spy's name to Chimera Operative. I'm including something that references the moon in the names of all of these cards and it's a bit unoriginal.
>>
>>52760558
Alright, will do, thanks anon. You'd think I'd catch some of this shit but I think I'm having a bad common sense day.
>>
>>52760558
>>52760592
Actually wait, we were right, according to the SoI transformers. They have our wording on them; "When this creature transforms into ~" so I just need to adjust it to "this permanent"
>>
>>52760475
>Fun Police
>>>mtgcardsmith.com
>>
>>52760655
I'll tell you what. I'll keep posting cards, and you can keep deriding them. We both have that right. It's why this place is so much better than every other MtG custom card community.
>>
>>52760655
>>52760680
Also let me say I can't believe that post upset you enough to actually do the "external link to GTFO" meme. I feel kinda bad for you anon.
>>
>>52760620
And how many of those exile themselves and return themselves to the battlefield transformed?
>>
>>52734140
So this design is cool and it's costed correctly. But it's a 3 mana 1/1 that needs to get through, and doesn't have evasion. Maybe make it cost 7ish but make it 4/4 with trample.
>>
>>52760978
Well I peeked at Voldaren Pariah and it doesn't so I think I'm alright.
>>
File: Pull Through Time.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pull Through Time.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
Original idea was just an interesting rare. But I started realizing how it could be used, so now I'm a bit worried about balance. Art is just to look cool. Supposed to have flavor text from Future Guy, who I finally got around to naming, but I'm pretty shit at flavor text. Maybe later.
>>
File: Security Beacon.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Security Beacon.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
Is this too weak?
>>
>>52761452
"The past are but memories the ignorant are unable to grasp beyond reminiscience."

Maybe this?
>>
>>52728868
What a mammary catastrophe.
>>
>>52744925
I like this so much.

I have many a deck that would thank you for the printing thereof
>>
>>52744941
Ticklesome! Very very red. God I love red.
>>
>>52745093
This is just kinda ugly. Sorry man, but it is inelegant to the max.
>>
File: Neara Young Champion.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Neara Young Champion.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
I'm sure one-mana walkers are a stale meme, but note that she's designed for cube play (not constructed) when appraising her ult.
>>
>>52761764
No, quite the opposite.

>put counters on opponent's lands
>they can't untap their manabase

Here's what I'd do

3T: Put a detention counter on target nonland permanent.

Permanents with detention counters don't untap unless its controller pays X during their untap step, where X is the number of detention counters on that permanent.
>>
>>52761764
Templating aside, costs are divided with commas, this is absurdly op.

It's basically land destruction if they can't get rid of the beacon.
>>
>>52762241
>>52762231

You can only use it on nonland permanents, it's right there on the card.
>>
>>52762224
>win the game
>with a 1 mana walker
You can literally win t1 on the draw.
>>
>>52758836
It might be an unnecessary extra line, but I really think he needs "When you remove the last gold counter/when he has no gold counters/etc, sack him".
>>
>>52762258
It's alright, people tonight are REALLY bad at reading cards and really bad at knowing what actual Oracle text looks like. I think we're all still in a post-Easter ham stupor or something because I'm making retarded mistakes too. Things will be better in a day or two.
>>
>>52749544
I am in love with this card. My dark rituals say hi.
>>
>>52762258
>>52762328
To be fair to those guys, the wording is thoroughly butchered, so I can see why they'd miss it.
>>
File: file.png (206KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
206KB, 375x523px
>>52720855
hey guys, i've started my set skeleton but would like some advice. So my set idea is basically an enemy colored set focusing on exploring other facets of the enemy colors. particularly because i'm one of those players who hates how all boros gets is "lol combat keywords."
So with that in mind i'm looking into things the colors can do but haven't done often.

Red/white for instance i'm having focus on noncombat damage this set. Red gets burn and white gets instant speed damage in response to attackers and blockers. The idea is to push those together and forge effects that bolster or thrive off them, so for example.

UW-01 1WW
creature - soldier
when ~ enters the battlefield create two 1/1 soldier tokens if a creature or player has been dealt noncombat damage this turn.
2/2

my question is, what would be fitting for the other colors?
>>
>>52760579
That PW is a harder win condition than both Epic Struggle and Felidar combined.

>>52762224
OP as hell.

>>52757805
I like the idea, but what about a Barren Glory kind of effect that makes you win the game if you don't have permanents or something like that?
>Rya realises that she fucked up
>Tries to do better, but sees that everything is beyond repair
>Sacrifices herself for the greater good and restore things the way they were before.
>>
>>52762458
>WB
Oppression. Orzhov touches on it a little but they are more like "teh evul Jewz" than true tyrants. Basically a more aggressive Azorius.
>GU
Synthesis. Swapping creatures for other creatures, using your own creatures as ramp fodder. Both these colors have an "improvement" theme but so far WotC has bungled that with stupid +1/+1 counter mechanics. We don't have to be so simplistic here, though sticking to NWO conventions is kind of a fun challenge.
>UR
Theft. They both do it. Making a keyword around it might be hard, but maybe an ability word would be easier. Rogues galore.
>BG
Survival of the fittest. Big solo critters that domineer the battlefield and kill all weaker things, yours and your opponents'. And grow strong from that. Think Devour but as an anthem effect, but toned down to only munch one thing on each board at a time. something like that.
>>
>>52762512
I only posted those to point out that WotC does the same thing, which is making "superfluous" wincons that should have seen you win via other means before the actual wincon goes off because you finally got to that point, that's all. I realize the PW is more "hard" than those cards.
>>
>>52762581
i dig your idea for orzhov a lot. Simic's sounds fun though ramp is also pretty common in UG if you look at any commander deck, UR sounds ludicrously fun. i'm a huge fan of act of treason effects and a whole set theme around that seems like a blast.
BG is kinda cool, i like the idea of BG being the rotting colors too and was considering incorporating -1/-1 counters with them
>>
>>52762697
the thing i meant for GU wasn't land ramp though, it was actual creature ramp. Like creatures with a sort of Emerge-esque keyword that works in reverse; instead of being a big fatty that has it and then eats a small creature, the small creature has it and "ramps out" the fatties that aren't reliant on the keyword, it just helps. That kind of thing. Glad the rest sounds appealing though. Godspeed and good luck anon. I'll keep an eye out for your symbol. sets are hard to make, so I hope you don't mind the work.
>>
File: Carmen Sandiego Time Thief.png (288KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Carmen Sandiego Time Thief.png
288KB, 375x523px
Did someone say one mana Walker meme?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1872x1572px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1872x1572px
>>52762746
thanks anon! if you like, i've finished work on the set's monowhite commons. I'd love to hear some feedback.

I really love commons so keeping complexity and power down was kinda tough. designing interesting commons that don't just deserve to be uncommon are a challenge too.
>>
>>52763993
ah shit, i didn't even introduce any new mechanics or keywords really.
>>
>>52763993
CW01 is too pushed.
CW03 is likely too limited in scope to be relevant with a body that small. Your call if that's what you want.
CW09 could easily cost W, given that Holy Day exists.
CW10 is just straight up busted.

You also have crippling wording issues on every card with more than a single word on it.
>>
File: Mistress of Masks.png (257KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mistress of Masks.png
257KB, 375x523px
>>52763518
>Phasing
Oh god, look what you made me do.

Oddly, this seems fairly balanced, except red doesn't do permanent theft that often. In fact, this card, except for the coin flip bit, is super blue.

>>52763993

I'd be happy to oblige some feedback.

>01
Prowess is tertiary in white, so be careful with it. I don't think it should be showing up at common because of that.
>02
Not much to say. Blade of the Sixth Pride says this is fine.
>03
I realize you intend for there to be a lot of direct damage in this set for RW, but this is way to expensive. Cards that rely on outside sources to work can be cheaper. It's why Prowess actually works as a keyword and doesn't bloat creature costs.
>04
Too much prowess already. I get again that it's RW but you still have to be mindful of the color pie. Could be a 2/2.
>05
comma between mana cost and tap symbol. Also, via set skeleton guidelines, this isn't a medium creature; you'd want it at least a 3/3 if I recall. And honestly you don't want utility abilities like this on large bodies. That's a bad choice to have to make.
>07
Damage needs a source.
>08
Oh, I'm guessing you just blocked these out really quick and are going to clean them up later. I'd make this ping the creature blocking or blocked by the creature you hit with the +1/+1.
>09
Wording again, but otherwise it's okay. It might even be able to cantrip.
>10
Too strong.
>11
A reverse Prison effect? Huh. Needs wording work but it could be cool. Not at common though. Uncommon at least.
>12
Sure. Again, might need to be uncommon, but the concept is fine.

Some points:
You might want some more Auras. White likes them, and it likes Instants because they're your combat tricks, and white's all about those. I'm not about to demand images in your cards yet, but do make the effort to at least get your syntax in order. It makes things easier to judge and limits the nitpicky nature of the feedback you get so it encourages people to look at the meat and potatoes of your designs.
>>
File: Thoughtful Detective.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thoughtful Detective.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Appeal to Justice.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Appeal to Justice.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Public Defender.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Public Defender.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52764800
Should be up to instead of equal, for the case of more clues than creatures.
>>
>>52764822

Good catch. I'll fix that.
>>
>>52764414
Deceptive doesn't work since you can't have abilities trigger from a hidden zone (face down).
>>
>>52764800
Way undercosted.
>>
>>52764848
How do you pay Morph costs? Or is it only triggered stuff?
>>
>>52765003
>>52764848
I looked it up and 410.10 apparently covers my issue but it makes Morph somewhat confusing. I assume, having read no further, that Morph is a special case and it's an instance of the rules bending to the card, and I'd need to do that but can't because I'm not WotC. Which is fine. Back to the drawing board.
>>
File: Shuzakh Biomaster.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shuzakh Biomaster.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
Single oddball commander I dreamed up, no idea if it actually works as intended because of rules fuckery but it sounds cool and it's absolutely something UG would do. Semi-intentional weakness in that he doesn't provide his own +1/+1s, encouraging at least a semi-tribal list.

I was sorely tempted by another idea here, though in the end it's far more effort than it would ever be worth. Was going to try and make a literal UGx commander- a commander that can be Temur, Sultai, or Bant somehow using similar wording to things like Oloro's ability, Partner, and/or the commander PWs. Eventually I decided that this was ultimately more effort than it would ever be worth. Some rabbits aren't worth chasing into their holes.
>>
File: LieutenantsDraft1.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
LieutenantsDraft1.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>52765153
Real post 'em hours challenge: Design a fitting card, cycle, or commander using concepts found in previous Commander precon decks, such as experience counters, Lieutenant, planeswalkers as commanders, interaction with the command zone, Undaunted, or anything else you can think of.
>>
file.png
1MB, 1872x1572px
>>52764364
>>52764414
all right how's this? I think i fixed most of the wording and adjusted powerlevels more appropriately for common.
>>
File: Liars Map.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Liars Map.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
This ended up taking a lot of text, and I'm not even sure it's templated right. The idea is that it's a demonic tutor that is only "supposed" to grab artifacts. Your opponent can call you out, if they call your bluff and you tried to grab a nonartifact, you don't get the card. If they incorrectly call your bluff, you get the card and they pitch one.

Any ideas how to make the language more elegant?
>>
>>52765262
small side note, i noticed my 2 drop slot is a little crowded. what instant or sorcery could be bumped to 3?
>>
>>52757486
If Bottle of Rum is too good in playtesting consider making it sorcery speed. Should only happen if the format is durdly.

>>52758507
This seems too powerful for a 2 mana walker. Either make it 1BR or start at 1 loyalty.

>>52765266
As it is now there's no downside to just guessing artifact and every downside to naming non-artifact.
You could just make it so that the opp chooses a card type and if they guess correctly, it remains in exile, else you get it.
>>
File: Ushiwaka the Trespasser.jpg (143KB, 750x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Ushiwaka the Trespasser.jpg
143KB, 750x1056px
Rate and give advice pls
>>
File: Ilyas al-Dali Tember Kingpin.png (251KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ilyas al-Dali Tember Kingpin.png
251KB, 375x523px
>>52766341
First thing's first: Planeswalkers are always mythic rare. Even if they weren't, the complexity of this card would warrant mythic rarity anyway.

I'm going to show you the correct wording for each ability, and then comment on the design of that ability.

> {+1}: Look at the top card of your library. You may put it on the the bottom of your library; if you do, target creature gets -1/-1 until your next turn. Otherwise, add [G] to your mana pool.
Only a few minor wording changes here. As for the ability itself, it seems overly complicated. If I were you, I'd remove the part of the ability that looks at the top card of your library and simplify it to a "Choose up to one -- Target creature gets..."

> {-2} Destroy two or more target creatures with the same name. Create a 0/1 blue and black Wall creature token named "Floating Debris" for each creature destroyed this way.
I think your wording is correct, but I tried to shorten and simplify it. Anyway, I hate this ability. It's too narrow, and too binary: it's either extremely powerful, or completely useless. I'd rework it completely.

The wording on the fourth ability is fine. As for the design: I think it's a fairly weak effect; certainly not worth {-4}.

I don't like this card, as a whole. The design seems overly complicated at every level - it's like you're trying to be unique and different, rather than making a card that's fun to play with. You have long, awkward text boxes. The abilities that don't give me any insight into the flavor of the character.

"Elegance" is a concept that's difficult to quantify or even define, but it's something that every designer should strive for. I can safely say that this card lacks any kind of elegance. You seem to be new to card design, so don't give up: planeswalkers are extremely difficult to work with.
>>
File: Liende Crescents Edge.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Liende Crescents Edge.png
259KB, 375x523px
Any suggestions for a name that doesn't include the word "edge" on a black/white legendary mythic angel?

>>52765266
I love the concept of this card.
You need to include a shuffle-your-library-clause on the search effect. I don't see any way to shorten the card text or make it easier to understand, sadly. You're probably going to have to change the effect a little if you want the concept to work on a readable card.
>>
>>52766808
Thanks, this is appreciated.

>+1
The looking at the top card is important, you may need to give up a card you want to get the -1/-1, or leave a unnecessary one on top for the mana.
>-2
It's kind of intended to be niche, considering the cheap ult. Speaking of..,
>-4
I see what you mean. -3 seems better. I wanted a cheap ult, but ironically overcosted it.

I'll see what i can come up with in regards to better flavoring.
>>
Is it a good idea to resurrect Banding? It works neatly with what I'd like to do with my RW faction
Also, can I use "being in a band" as a characteristic? Like "When ~ attacks, other creatures in the same band gain lifelink until end of turn" or "If ~ is in a band, it gets +2/+0"?
>>
>>52766998
>"If ~ is in a band, it gets +2/+0"
Wait, it's "As long as ~ is in a band, it gets +2/+0"
>>
>>52766876
"each player" should probably be "each opponent"
>>
>>52764848
>>52765003
>>52765118
Technically, I think it could work since from a rules text perspective, you could just say that when it goes face down it gains text that tells it to go face up at the untap step. But that would also mean that if it were turned down another way, it wouldn't come back up during the untap step. As for Morph, it's actually a continuous ability that ends when you pay the associated cost. This makes paying the cost a special action that doesn't use the stack instead of working like a triggered ability. Licids work similarly, being creatures that turn into auras until the effect ends when you pay a cost.
>>
>>52767206
>working like a triggered ability
Meant to say activated ability.
>>
File: Look Long into the Inferno.png (250KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Look Long into the Inferno.png
250KB, 375x523px
>>52765153
Changeling could probably use reminder text. I like the design, but I'm pretty sure it should be a Slug Crab Mutant Wizard, because fuck legible typelines.
Also, it's "can't be blocked" not "are unblockable" these days.
>>
>>52763518
this is actually pretty dope
>>
>>52768944
Having a hard time seeing the use of this.
>>
How do I balance a static amount of life gain (not something like lifelink) with the mana cost of a card?
>>
File: Fickle Loyalties.png (312KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fickle Loyalties.png
312KB, 375x523px
>>52770188
Mostly by looking at existing similar cards and effects on Gatherer.
>>
>>52770289
Aw man, alright thanks.
Right now I'm looking at a U/W instant that can either cause you to draw a card or gain x life (or potentially regenerate target creature, but I haven't figured that out yet), depending on whether you spent blue or white mana to cast it, and if neither, you can choose the effect.

I also want it to have a non-mana flashback cost (discard a card, in which case you can choose either effect). Is that a thing?
>>
>>52770406
There's a cycle from Shadowmoor that had hybrid cards with different effects depending on if you spent certain mana on them. The WU one is Repel Intruders.
Regenerate is completely retired, and probably will never appear again in Magic.

Non mana flashback is also a thing, mostly on older cards like Battle Screech, Cabal Therapy, Dread Return, and Lava Dart.
>>
File: cosmic.jpg (343KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic.jpg
343KB, 1875x523px
Cosmic lands that exchange 3 for 3 of any one color. Is it broken?
>>
>>52770465
Thanks for the non-mana flashback examples! I had no idea how to format it.
>>
>>52770556
The fact that they've got the "don't untap normally" and a separate "T: Add 3" is really strong due to cards that untap lands for free like Argothian Elder.

I'd say make them tap for one colorless normally, not have the not untapping clause, and have a "3, T: Add _ _ _" filter ability instead.
>>
>>52770556
What >>52770597 said, making triple colored mana can be quite useful. But as for the cards, they're broken as fuck right now. The thing about cards like this where they don't untap normally is that there are so many ways to make them untap with other cards. It's why Time Vault is broken, it's designed to be balanced only in a vacuum, without any untapping abilities.
>>
File: Drastic Angel.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Drastic Angel.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Dead thread
>>
>>52772887
Unfortunately. I'd be posting if my PC weren't acting like garbage.

Card overall is interesting, though not having Vigilance confuses me. I mean, the thing would only block if it weren't able to attack. I'd also write out attack and block as two separate abilities.
>>
File: First Blood.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
First Blood.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>52773092
Vigilance seems like it would be too much. The forced block is more for flavour than anything. There's no exact precedent for wording but Boros Battleshaper seems to tell me it's ok as is. Plus it looks better this way.
>>
>>52773239
Eh, maybe an untap ability at least?

>First Blood
Meh.
>>
File: 0606 Draculas Descendant.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
0606 Draculas Descendant.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52773448
>Eh, maybe an untap ability at least?
How about untap whenever an opp's creature ETBs?

>Meh.
They can't all be winners.
>>
File: Leyline Predation.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Leyline Predation.png
293KB, 375x523px
I dunno if this could just be GU or not.
>>
file.png
1MB, 1872x1572px
>>52765262
all right and here's some blue. I may end up adding another monocolored card in each color but with an off color activated ability.
>>
>>52773509
>How about untap whenever an opp's creature ETBs?
Seems OK.

>They can't all be winners.
"Meh" from me doesn't mean bad. It means it's OK, not bad, but doesn't excite me.

>card
I don't like how it works on your creatures too, especially with stuff like Undying.
>>
>>52774153
I want to say yes for being so narrow, but I could be wrong. I mean, really, hard creature spell counters exist at 1U, and this one has a requirement and a downside despite being harder to cast. The idea is cool and all, but I just don't see it being all that useful as it is now. Maybe make it mono-G? But then you might as well just use Fight.
>>
>>52774153
As is it's a really bad cancel, so yeah either make it UG or make it cantrip.

>>52774402
>I don't like how it works on your creatures too, especially with stuff like Undying.
You mean Persist. I see what you mean, but I don't think allowing a possible infinite with 2 other cards is bad or overpowered and it's not necessarily out of flavour. Restricting it to non-Vampires and then having the ability make the creatures Vamps sounds good though.
>>
>>52774216
CU01 is very narrow. Fine, but unlikely to be more than a 1/1 for U.
CU04 is crippled in limited, since it requires control effects to not be a giant flying wall. Would strongly suggest revising.
CU05 is a strictly better Boomerang. Boomerang was already damn good.
Same comment on CU06 as CU01
>>
>>52770465
regen might be retired only to be replaced with the effect of supernatural stamina from amonkhet. if someone wants regen they could use that effect instead
>>
File: Backbite.png (280KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Backbite.png
280KB, 375x523px
>>52774480
>>52774608
Cantrip it is. I almost forgot those existed, they barely print them anymore.
>>
>>52775007
>>
>>52775007
>>52775475
Wait, I didn't realize your card doesn't counter the spell. Which I think makes it pretty crap.
>>
File: Final Harvest.png (294KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Final Harvest.png
294KB, 375x523px
>>52775475
>>52775488
Merde. Reduced it to 1UR since it doesn't counter but does cantrip. It's still a potential gamewinner.
>>
>>52767206
So it's what I figured; it's one of those instances where the rules would need to conform to the keyword, which has happened before so it's nothing new, but it's just not something we as custom cardmakers have any authority to do. Still, I feel like since you can easily tell how Deceptive works, and you can tell when a card has it because it's played face up at first, instead of the other way around, so there is confirmation. Eh, I guess it depends on if people actually liked it or not, which is hard to tell because I get maybe one post of feedback whenever I make a card, and if it's just "you can't do that" it doesn't help determine if it'd actually be something people liked if we did manage to make it work.
>>
>>52776254
>feedback
I'll give you mine then. I don't like the mechanic for some of the same reasons I don't like Phasing. I don't like working with half a creature. The mechanic just makes the creature unreliable. And the trigger for the extra ability on most creatures could just trigger on upkeep, so that's certainly not unique to the mechanic.

That said, I am interested in another take on face-down cards. Though it is hard to think of something good.
>>
I'm thinking of making a sorcery that's just Nahiri the Harbinger's ult, but without the artifact part. How much should that be costed to make it fair? Like, 4RW? Higher?
>>
>>52777423
It seems more of a mono-R effect to me, so maybe make it like _RR sorcery or something?
I don't usually have a good idea on balance though, so costing it right is not my thing.
>>
>>52777450
Actually, looking through Oracle some more, it seems like creature tutors are almost exclusively Green. I knew they were associated with the color, but not to this extent. Honestly makes me wonder why the ability is even on Nahiri. Oh well, I'll come up with something else.
>>
>>52776718
Yeah I was trying to "fix" Phasing in a way, with a mechanic everyone knows (Morph) that does something similar (makes it hard to discern what creature is what) so it functions a bit like Hexproof in that regard; I'd encourage a person playing Deceptive creatures to mix them up like a shell game every time they go face down. It also means the creature is still a 2/2 body, which is a lot more useful than the nothing Phasing leaves you with. Now, I also know it's not evergreen material, and it'd need a set built around it and other mechanics to really make any kind of sense. You'd also need to play a lot of them, so it has the same problem as Infect. I have a thing for tinkering with keywords and stuff, and when that anon posted Carmen with Phasing I had a light bulb moment and shared.

I appreciate the feedback though. I try very hard not to get married to anything I make, so if it gets torn apart, oh well. It's kind of silly to assume everyone will like everything you make.
>>
>>52777842
It's on Nahiri because it's temporary, and temporary things are very Red. (and Innistrad Nahiri is only part White because Nahiri was originally mono-W, but making her into mono-R would probably have been too much of a swing lore-wise)
Look at Sneak Attack in a way.
>>
Oops, forgot to do the feedback thing.

>>52775574
Dredge says hi, but I can't fathom another reason for this card to exist. It's pretty neat, but I think I've seen it before?

>>52775007
Yeah I think 1UR is a good spot for it. It's completely reliant on what your opponent is playing, and it doesn't stop them from getting it, so the cantrip fits.

>>52774216
>01
I agree that this is going to be a bit weak, but you can't really make good one-drops in U without being super lucky or creative or both. I lost my favorite U one-drop common, and it's a bit of a shame but oh well. Probably one of my favorite creatures I've ever made.
>02
Kind of a white thing to do traditionally, but blue gets tap and untap so it's totally fine.
>03
Hm. I'd make it easier to cast. 2U. If need be you can make it 3/2 but it's too blue-intensive at the moment I think.
>04
I feel like the better way to do this is actually to make it work like 01. Shrink the body and give it the same buff effect. It's a better place for it. Call it Magpie Drake.
>05
Boomerang should be UU.
>06
Eh. Hard to make work.
>07
Cancel is cancel.
>08
I feel like this needs to be on a repeatable source, like a creature.
>09
Fine by me.
>10
Concentrate is uncommon, and I'd stick with that.
>11
Possibly a bit much. Maybe make it cost U and grant flying then grant hexproof as long as you control a permanent you don't own?
>12
Seems spendy and I wouldn't put repeatable lockdown of this grade at common. Not sure you can make it cheaper though. Possibly more generic less colored mana?
>>
>>52778013
>I'd encourage a person playing Deceptive creatures to mix them up like a shell game every time they go face down.
It's pretty much written out in the comp rules that you shouldn't do this.
>707.6. If you control multiple face-down spells or face-down permanents, you must ensure at all times that your face-down spells and permanents can be easily differentiated from each other. This includes, but is not limited to, knowing what ability or rules caused the permanents to be face down, the order spells were cast, the order that face-down permanents entered the battlefield, which creature(s) attacked last turn, and any other differences between face-down spells or permanents. Common methods for distinguishing between face-down objects include using counters or dice to mark the different objects, or clearly placing those objects in order on the table.
Oh, just for the record, in a Commander game, if your commander is somehow put onto the battlefield face-down, due to the fact that being a commander is tied to the actual physical card and still the commander, so you'd basically have to let people know which face down card it is.
>903.3. Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones.
>Example: A commander that’s been turned face down (due to Ixidron’s effect, for example) is still a commander. A commander that’s copying another card (due to Cytoshape’s effect, for example) is still a commander. A permanent that’s copying a commander (such as a Body Double, for example, copying a commander in a player’s graveyard) is not a commander.
>>
>>52778264
Well then I guess it's as worthless as 95% of the other stuff I make. No surprise there. Oh well.
>>
>>52778069
>(and Innistrad Nahiri is only part White because Nahiri was originally mono-W, but making her into mono-R would probably have been too much of a swing lore-wise)
Did you forget that she exiles enchantments and creatures? Anyway, a card that was just the temporary tutor I suppose would be mono-Red then?

>>52778345
Don't beat yourself up over it. Keywords and ability words are hard.
>>
File: custom card challenge.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
custom card challenge.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
Rolled 10, 8, 9, 3, 9 = 39 (5d10)

Bleh, bump. Might as well post the challenge sheet, I guess. Doing everything but the last category.
>>
File: 10 8 9 3 9.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
10 8 9 3 9.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>52780883
>Multicolor (83=UR), artifact, token generation, CMC 2, rare
Not sure if this fits the cost.
>>
Rolled 1, 10, 6, 9, 6 = 32 (5d10)

>>52780883
Thread may be a bit too dead, but whatever.
>>
File: Lol.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lol.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52781007
>Favorite color (Red)
>Instant
>Mana advantage
>CMC 3
>Rare
>Johnny

Sure, I guess.
>>
File: Nightwings Escrima Sticks2.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Nightwings Escrima Sticks2.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
Trying this again. Cards designed to work with specific other cards. I feel like the escrima sticks here scream DStrike, but Nightwing already has that, so I just went with another direction with a double theme. Oh, and Nightwing also has Vigilence, thus being able to benefit from Menace and the extra blocking ability.

>>52781070
Eh, you need to have two spells cast before it just to break even. Not sure about this.
>>
File: WIX-001_C.jpg (191KB, 650x908px) Image search: [Google]
WIX-001_C.jpg
191KB, 650x908px
I fucking love MSE
>>
>>52781460
It's storm. In the right deck, you'd easily net like 8 mana with it.
>>
Rolled 8, 3, 6, 5, 10 = 32 (5d10)

>>52780883
Rolling everything but rarity, since that can really throw results for a loop.
>>
File: Must Die.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Must Die.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>52782786
Decided to (kind of) eschew my Theme roll in exchange for setting the rarity, since "win" cards are kind of my least favorite archetype. Had a different idea for an enchantment "you win" card that I'll post in text along with this abomination of a card, though.

>card - 2RB
>enchantment

>You can't gain life. (Possibly some other Red effects like Stranglehold, not sure, all directed at you, not globally.)
>Pay (2,3?) life. Put a Pain counter on ~.
>When ~ has X or more Pain counters on it, you win the game.

>Possibly, an effect that removes Pain counters to let you do something with them, at mythic rarity.
>>
>>52782928
Oh, nearly forgot,the pain-counter-generation should either tap or only be done a certain number of times each turn.
>>
I find it really odd how personality traits define what kind of magic one uses in MtG.
>>
>>52784472
What?
>>
>>52781814
Force of Will, right? Don't know much about the game, but unless having cards in your hand has some intrinsic bonus, I doubt discarding your hand makes up the difference between the two different recursions. Though that hinges on how hard it is to get cards onto the field.
>>
File: Danse Macabre.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Danse Macabre.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Bump. Modal hybrid is kinda cool, but also tricky to design.
>>
File: Custom Constuct.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Custom Constuct.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52722342
>Sink 17 mana into a creature to hose all non-blue decks.
I love it.
>>
>>52780883
Everything but the last category
>>
File: Angie Madame Mirage2.jpg (57KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Angie Madame Mirage2.jpg
57KB, 375x523px
>>52763518
Art inspired me to take on Madame Mirage. Character is a hologram that specializes in illusion and redirection. Hopefully this gets the flavor across OK.
>>
>>52786511
And if any colored mana was spent to cast it, it gains memory issues.
>>
>>52788446
Yeah, but I really liked the idea. But you're right, probably not practical in cardboard form.

Bump limit reached. Though I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth making a new thread.
>>
>>52784838
FoW functions very very similarly to Magic, so this card would translate exactly into Magic as it's currently worded, perhaps with some cost modifications.
>>
>>52789238
Then yeah, I think it's too good. Especially if FoW has graveyard shenanigans like in Magic.

Anyway, because of your card I was split on discard or Devil edition, but discard is more flexible so I used that.

NT: >>52789354
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 114

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.