[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPSGEN GURPS General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 50

File: 1491919529605.pdf (340KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1491919529605.pdf
340KB, 1x1px
>GURPS is the "Generic Universal RolePlaying System." It starts with simple rules and builds up to as much optional detail as you like. It's designed to accommodate any background: realistic or larger-than-life; past, present, or future. The possibilities are endless!
>The GURPS Basic Set contains the complete core rules for character creation and advancement, task resolution, mental and physical feats, combat, injury, hazards, and NPC reactions. It includes basic magic and psionics systems, and starter lists of personal equipment, creatures, and vehicles. It also offers a plethora of practical advice on designing settings – their laws, governments, technologies, economics, and more – and running campaigns there. And it offers a sample campaign frame, Infinite Worlds, that can accommodate adventures set against a wide variety of backdrops.
>In GURPS, characters are built on points. You can create any hero you can imagine by selecting attributes, advantages, disadvantages, skills, and other traits. The GM chooses the power level by specifying the players' point budget, and then GURPS delivers the goods – it supports everything from "ordinary folks" to "gods." You can make character generation even simpler by using GURPS Character Assistant, the official character-creation program.
>Almost everything else in the game – from swinging a sword to firing a laser rifle to negotiating a good price from a merchant – boils down to a 3d6 "success roll." While there are lots of rules, they're all variations on the same theme. GURPS is easy to learn!

>Blatant lies from the Illuminati edition.

What is your craziest animal encounter, GURPSGEN?
>>
File: 6G67O4N.jpg (90KB, 640x972px) Image search: [Google]
6G67O4N.jpg
90KB, 640x972px
Replying to last thread..

>>52703848

TL 4, big game is still Very Dangerous to hunt with the weapons of the time. I'd allow them muskets because despite their power they are heavy, slow and bulky weapons. Lining up a shot with them takes careful positioning, finding the prey and getting a shot off, all things that should be rewarded.

Ways animals can be dangerous despite guns:

1) As said by.. >>52703934
Stealthy animals, like big cats, adapt by denying the hunter a clean shot. Staying low in long grass or moving though the jungle, perhaps waiting on branches overhead, these can get in and kill very fast (See the rules for pouncing under trampling). Hunts should be carefully orginized daylight only affairs and at night anyone that fails to stay with the group and in a well defended place might die. >>52703927 this is also really true. Bites that turn into grapples, with the option to worry, can quickly kill.

2) >>52703634
Really, really tough animals. Things like cape buffalo, hippos, elk, Antioch, large boar. These combine being mean as fuck with being so tough a single gunshot might not bring one down. Historically, these are among the most dangerous animals, especially the more territorial examples. Dangerous to charge, likely to knock people down.

3) >>52703934
Packs or swarms. "Clever girl". No matter how well armed a hunter, something sneaking up behind you is a Bad Thing.
>>
>>52708161
>craziest animal encounter
This one time, the players were kicking it in a backwater village. Wowing the locals, challenging the status quo, winning duels and maiden hearts.

And then a horse screams over the horizon, and everyone freezes

And then a dragon bursts over the hillside, screeching like rending steel, dropping the equine carcass in the midst of the revelers.

Everyone panics
>>
Is there a concise summary or a table somewhere of all the damage types and their corresponding wounding multipliers and the various hit locations that also have multipliers?

As in, impaling is x2 and when the target is vitals it's x3, but for all damage types and locations.
>>
File: GURPSCombatCheatSheet.pdf (127KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPSCombatCheatSheet.pdf
127KB, 1x1px
>>52709278
Here ya go.
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (304KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Cheatsheet.pdf
304KB, 1x1px
>>52709278
>>
>>52709278
B552
>>
>>52709404
>>52709405
>>52709526
Thanks
>>
File: pyramid 83 cover.jpg (427KB, 2513x3272px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid 83 cover.jpg
427KB, 2513x3272px
>>
>TFW the player in your fantasy game who plays the half wolfman, ends up in your Firefly game coming down with SPACE WOLF MADNESS
>>
>>52711138

Love the copy of High-Tech off to the side. I *knew* she looked like a player of head-popping snipers.
>>
>>52711408
>tfw youll never have a cute GURPSfu to roll d6 with
>>
File: bad-luck-black-cat-1.jpg (463KB, 3008x1816px) Image search: [Google]
bad-luck-black-cat-1.jpg
463KB, 3008x1816px
>>52711247
>Cat scratch fever.
>>
/GURPSGEN/, how would you handle a Dark Souls soapstone or red/blue orb?
>>
>>52712013
Jumper with modifiers like Projection and Affects Substantial. Since you never actually leave your own world physically, but you can have some influence on the host's world.
>>
File: 1275585057587.jpg (35KB, 604x386px) Image search: [Google]
1275585057587.jpg
35KB, 604x386px
>>52711868
Goddang, hes such an asshole!

I love that cat!
>>
>>52712013

Distorted time and immortality in this place allows for strange things.

Soapstone: You can leave a mark that allows you to be summoned to assist another in a alternate version of the timeline fight a powerful monster. You may gain XP, but not physical rewards this way.

Red Orb: Like some kind of dick you enter an alternate timeline, a specter that can't truly be killed, only banished from that space. While there you can kill the one that Belongs there, and reap a dark reward from powers that approve of such things.

Blue Orb: Those red orb guys are dicks. Even the odds.

In all cases, they provide you with Jumper, and a limited kind of Unkillable: When you die you get kicked out of the world you are in.
>>
File: 3736298.jpg (153KB, 683x950px) Image search: [Google]
3736298.jpg
153KB, 683x950px
>>52708200
It depends.
For generic party even big animal not a really big danger, until it use intelligence, which it literally can't possess.
Like bull totally ignoring tough&skilled barbarian standing near him and who can cut his head off with one parry, so bull charging in zig-zag trajectory, evading all weapons braced for stop thrust, to kill sqishy wizard away in back line, who did nothing.
Well, being asshole is simple, don't give party perception-stealth contest and drop on them pride of lions who rip them with AOA while they can't use defence.
Or just like to snipe them from distance, but in melee.
So yeah, i got it.
I like too to humiliate and show to players who's daddy here, and whose arse they should lick.
>>
>>52712533
Predatory animals are quite clever about striking vulnerable targets separated from others.

Territorial animals will commit to a charge and trample the weaker ones and avoid the more confident ones.

And a pack will always try to get the weakest target.

This isn't really intelligence, it's instinct.

You can give the party perception, and even let them try to hide from targets. Who is hunting who should be a constant question.
>>
Is ST 13 exceptional? It feels weird compared to DX, HT or IQ.

I have a player that turned in a character with ST 15. I know with other stats that would be superhuman, able to perform at elite levels with one point in skills or just never dying.

I'm not sure what it means for ST though. It's unbound and pretty much means +5 damage with swung weapons and higher carry weight?
>>
>>52713837
12+ anything is pretty good statwise, since on that level it's a ~75% success rate before resists/penalties.

Also remember a 'novice' fighter might have 12 HP or so. Even a 10 ST guy with a stick can knock them out in 4 good hits before armor is a thing. Heaven forbid they deal cut/impaling damage, then a decent hit will put them on their knees, major injury or not.
>>
>>52713837
I usually limit "normal human maximum" to 16 for most attributes and 20 or so for ST. Basically stretch the scale up a bit - every +2 for normal attribute is equivalent of +3 for ST. That's very roughly and that's just how I see GURPS attributes.
>>
>>52713837
Just look at the lift limits. It's usually the best way of realising how much X of ST is. Also, in low TL games it's important to have anything above 12, as it provides a nice damage, so go figure.
>>
File: 406c6521d5b790074c2df59d5789797b.jpg (901KB, 916x1200px) Image search: [Google]
406c6521d5b790074c2df59d5789797b.jpg
901KB, 916x1200px
>>52713837

ST 15 is basically a beginner fantasy barbarian.
>>
File: 5438230_p0.jpg (390KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
5438230_p0.jpg
390KB, 800x607px
>>52708200
>hippo
>Historically, these are among the most dangerous animals
>Historically

Setting up ambushes should be pretty doable. Hiding in a rainforest amid the different layers, thick greenery, and background of noise should be pretty easy, especially if the would-be prey is not used to the environment. To give the players a leg up, if they need it, they might be startled by a smaller animal running away to give them a chance to look around and maybe spot the ambush just in time. (If the animal pounces as soon as they see it, that's not enough time to aim a musket, but enough to have gotten out their melee weapons.)

Ditto with swamps, where a predator might hide underwater (or in the treetops while the party is cautiously poking the murky waters).

I guess in savannas and other more open areas, I'd just have to have a few enemies charge at the party at once, and expect them to snipe one or two of them from farther away, which is fair enough. (From my experience TL4 weapons are usually accurate and powerful enough to hit and often kill something that comes running at you, though only at a range that forces you to switch to melee on the next turn if you don't kill every enemy.)

>>52712533
No need to risk a TPK with every encounter, but it should indeed be dangerous enough for it to be satisfying to make it through without any serious injuries or casualties.
>>
File: 4nn2LjJl.jpg (78KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
4nn2LjJl.jpg
78KB, 480x640px
I've been compiling the rules in a FAQ format for my players for.. over 6 years now?

It is mostly in English, but some bits are in Russian yes, I am the same poor guy who posted a rant yesterday. The point is to have rules in an easily comprehensible format. It focuses on medieval fantasy campaigns, and is categorized by types of things the players would probably want to do.

For instance, "I want to craft a sword, what do I do?" - this a huge section with subsections like "Where do I get materials from?", "Where and how could I sell it", etc. Mostly Basic Set + Low Tech Companion stuff. It uses some assumptions on the setting though, so it is not completely setting-free. "I am in a town; where and how could I get information" - another large section, as I love Social Engineering. And so on and so forth, from exploration, hunting, and injuries to sewing, horse riding, and feudal hierarchy.

This is a huge document which I started to compile out of desperation due to no Enhanced/Improved 4ed coming in the next 5123 years. It is much more approachable than the combo of Basic Set + Fantasy + Low Tech + Low Tech companions + DF #2 + DF#16 +DF#32515 + Pyramid#8522 + ..

Do you think GURPS would benefit from a similar, official, re-release? Dungeon Fantasy is not quite there, as even in a purely DF campaign you would want to look through LT, Basic, Pyramids, etc. Nevermind the skill list in Basic, which is just unwieldy to get information from.

I was sometimes tempted to send Kromm or Phil Reed my recompiled version, but then again - there are so many neat fan-made pdfs, like Saduria or WFRP; surely they know that there is a demand for these?

I have never posted it though, because it reproduces the rules (albeit paraphrased).
>>
>>52715055
Maybe you can post just the questions? I'm interested in seeing what you came up with and even answering these questions can help new GMs (including me) come to grips with the system.
>>
>>52708161
>craziest animal encounter

I'm actually having a hard time choosing.
The ones that stand out from my current campaign are the spider-goats, the carnivorous cows, the monstertruck octopus, and the hill-sized turtles.
>>
>>52708161
How badly would it work out if I tried to use GURPS 3e stat blocks (like in GURPS Bestiary) as-is in 4e GURPS?
>>
Getting into the GURPS mainly for the huge worldbuilding capabilities. Do you guys have perchance something about Steampunk? Edition doesn´t really matter, though I´d prefer 4E.

Sorry to bother you guys and thanks in advance..
>>
>>52716634
Yes, but you'll be missing information (like Perception) or have erroneous numbers (like Dodge).

>>52716859
The OP does not have what you're looking for in a folder under Older GURPS Books called Steampunk.
>>
File: gurps steampunk cover.jpg (217KB, 550x713px) Image search: [Google]
gurps steampunk cover.jpg
217KB, 550x713px
>>52716859
It's 3e, but the genre advice is still good.
>>
>>52716885
>>52716888
There is GURPS Steampunk for 4e already. For all know it's straight update from 3e plus some new information, so you won't miss anything from previous edition.
>>
>>52716885
>not screampunk
>>
>>52716916
4e Steampunk 1 is just over a third of the size of 3e Steampunk, and you've also got Steam-Tech, the steampunk item compendium.

You've got Pyramid 3/39 to alleviate some of that page count deficit, but that's only 39 pages in total.
>>
>>52716970
Oh, my mistake then. Good to know.
>>
File: 274_apsp1.jpg (31KB, 695x491px) Image search: [Google]
274_apsp1.jpg
31KB, 695x491px
So, where's the Lantern skill?
>>
>>52717347

Beam Weapons/TL 5 Pistol
>>
>>52717426
That's clearly a Teapot grip, not a Pistol one.
>>
>>52717436
Expert Skill (Lantern).
>>
>>52717436

My bad, just went from memory and forgot there's a third specialization.
Correct skill is Beam Weapons/TL 5 Projector
>>
File: 41225117_p0.jpg (267KB, 892x633px) Image search: [Google]
41225117_p0.jpg
267KB, 892x633px
How into three-dimensional movement/combat?
Or is it best not to bother and to just have everything play out on a 2D plane?
>>
>>52719999
What is the question?
Representation?
>>
>>52720030
Yeah, and if it's worth it to begin with. Aerial, space, and underwater combat would all be three-dimensional, but if you treat the battlefield/map in those cases not as a static bird's eye view but as an abstract plane that dynamically aligns with the actors and simply measures relative distance, it might not even be needed.
>>
>>52720381
It is annoying as all fuck, basically the best way to do it is (assuming you're a normal human and not an ubermensch codegod who can shit out a 3d space representation ASAP) to put tokens to signalize on which plane things are, but as said it's annoying and nearly useless.
>>
>>52720381
If you're playing in person, you could use poker chips to denote height and such.

If you're willing to, you could also use two tokens for aerial creatures. On the side of your game mat, or on another board, assume that the first row of hexes is the ground level. Put the ground-based combatants there. Then use the other rows to denote their altitude, with each hex representing a yard. Poker chips can again come in handy here for distance. If someone is 11 yards above another, you could put their token on a 10-value poker chip and on the first row above the ground combatant row.
>>
>>52720381

Abstract planes only work in some scenarios, it gets wonky as fuck if you have three combatants and unmanageable with four. It also won't do you much good if there's an actual environment to consider. Buildings you need to zip between, clouds you can take cover behind, coral reefs or asteroids to consider, that kind of thing.

If you're playing on roll20 or similar you can set a field of choice to be visible to all and use that to denote altitude, poker chips as >>52720462 mentions is a good idea when playing in person. In a pinch you could also just use labeled pieces of paper to denote altitude, it's not perfect or smooth but it's viable.

Lacking poker chips you could abstract the altitude somewhat and use whatever you have at hand. Colored pieces of plastic, coins, or whatever, and use a less detailed scale like 5 yards altitude or whatever scale is suitable.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfynRD895oo
How to turn this classic into a game, aside of course picking Infinite Worlds, which would end up with players expecting Centrum and/or wanting to mess things up as Homeline? My players are too young to remember the show, which is both a blessing (I can use it!) and a problem (they will fuck things up if it's going to be just IW game)
>>
File: 35147868_p0.jpg (343KB, 976x1024px) Image search: [Google]
35147868_p0.jpg
343KB, 976x1024px
FUCKING ELVES
>>
File: Elf lord.png (127KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Elf lord.png
127KB, 256x256px
>>52723239
>but Sudri! I'm so pretty and magical!
>>
>>52721799
>classic
It's the first time I ever heard about this series
>>
>>52724031
DORF1.: also you know what would be hilarious
DORF1: if Deloth's master was this guy, or this guy has become Deloth's new master
and then we kill him right before her eyes
again
BEASTMAN.: That's just mean DORF1. I like it
DORF1.: >kill her
>nuke her homeland
BEASTMAN.: We should follow her around, killing every master she finds
DORF1: >kill her master
>kill her new master
BEASTMAN.: It's faster then hunting them down normally
DORF2: If this were a less intense situation, I'd have Bomrek wave to her as she appeared.
DORF1: she's bullybait
maybe she should just pick one of us as masters, sicne we're all touched by the darkness or something
KBALTH (GM): such an unintentionally Tsundre relationship you all have with her
>>
What are the ST requirements for firing a gun that requires a rest without a rest?
Low-Tech just points to P. 270 in the Basic Set, which only talks about ST requirements for firing a two-handed weapon with one hand, and says that guns that need a rest require a rest (duh), but nothing on shooting without a rest.

>>52724031
Just wait until next Saturday!
>>
File: Takanashi Rikka.gif (663KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
Takanashi Rikka.gif
663KB, 500x525px
>>52724665
The more I think about it, the more it seems like she was never actually evil, just a huge chuuni.

She showed up once just to disappear back into the darkness right after some ominous, but ultimately pointless, lines. The next time we met her she gave us this overblown caricature of a villain's grand speech, and we immediately blew her up when she was about to disappear again.

Maybe she was just tired of being a Dark Lord's errand girl combing the dirt in the middle of nowhere, so when she spotted us obvious heroes she saw her opportunity to feel like a real dark lord villain-type once, too! She prepared an epic villain speech with all the flourish she could think of, but we unceremoniously killed her, and then just sent her away when she resurrected because she was already no longer any threat.

Then we destroyed her people's greatest/evillest creation, annihilated her homeland, and killed her master.
And then we took pity on her and took her with us because she started crying.
>>
>>52724738
It's simple.
Check the Lift for One and Two arms for given ST.
Check gun's weight
PROFIT!
>>
>>52724984
o that works, thanks
>>
>>52724738

I *think* it's just the listed ST.
For the Musket (which I guess is what you're looking at) it's listed as ST 12R†. So without the rest, you fire at ST 12†

My reasoning here is that if you look at Basic Set p.270, R, B and M are all in sequence, each seemingly intended to be an upgrade over the last. To me at least it makes sense that:
>R = Rest is optional, if you use Rest use these Aim rules as listed, no change in ST.
because:
>B = Bipod is optional, if you use Bipod use these Aim rules as listed, lowered ST required.
>M = Mount is optional, if you use Mount use these Aim rules as listed, no ST required.
>>
>>52724963
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chuunibyou

...Yes. that's a kind of accurate description of her personality.
That and she's a bound warlock, which makes some decisions harder to make.
>>
>>52725147
Ahh, that would make sense. I didn't look at the Bipod and Mount rules.
The Low-Tech Companion states that the muskets in question are “too heavy to hold level unaided,” so I assumed the ST given was with the rest accounted for, and holding it freely would require additional ST/special rules.

>>52725223
So it's officially canon that we've just been bullying her all this time. Fug. :D
>>
>>52725315
She's a /tormented soul/ bound by /dark powers/ and she's doing a lot of her bad things /against her will/

Yes
You have been bullying her
Hard
>>
File: Deloth-Ainur.jpg (49KB, 736x999px) Image search: [Google]
Deloth-Ainur.jpg
49KB, 736x999px
So in summary today
>Party marches on the local Lord to demand an audience/get back pay
>Party scopes it out, votes for diplomatic entrance
>Parley with guards, access granted
>Guardhouse opens, party enter, guardhouse locked from behind
>Party suspicious
>Lord's Domo (elven court policies when?) Addresses them welcomes them
>He tries shady ambush
>Wizard/aristocrat see through this, calls out ambush!
>Party quick draws on double their number of forces, demand they drop arms
>Beastmen Gray invokes Blessing of DX! And rolls a 6!
>Mexican standoff ensues!
Guard stands down, party takes Domo hostage, enters Lord's Manor
>Holds Domo at knifepoint/Beastmen point and parleys with Lord Marshall geofferson
>He has a guest!
>An elf guest!
>A necromantic archimage elf guest!
>Parley devolved, shouting ensues, manifest destiny called into question
>Everyone's favorite aforementioned vampiric monk warlock elf appears!
>Wat
Until next week!
>>
File: xXtX5T0.png (408KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
xXtX5T0.png
408KB, 610x407px
>>52725632
>>
>>52726029
She'll do it man
She's fucking angry
And she's got ALL the arrows

She bought more!
I seent it!
>>
I have a player who wants to be able to go "I know a guy" in the middle of a session in reaction to certain situations, stuff like

>I know a guy who we can sell drugs to
>I know a guy who can smuggle our guns into the city
>I know a guy with a boat who can get us to the island

What's the best way to handle that? I don't want him to go too wild with it, but I like the concept.
>>
>>52726989
Serendipity?
>>
>>52726989
Impulse points.
>>
>>52726989
High streetwise skill or contact group (criminals). Maybe patron if the class of people he belongs to regularly provides significant aid.
>>
>>52726989
Last time I did that, I went with a couple of contact groups, specifically Law Enforcement, Underworld and Government. Ended up costing quite a bit, but it worked.
>>
>>52726989
I like what that one anon said. A contact group of criminals who are only available some of the time, because of just how broad he wants to go.
>>
>>52719999
A little trick for you - if there are three participants in the combat, then it ALWAYS plays out on a plane. And if there are only two of them, then it is a line.
>>
>>52728987
This is only true if facing doesn't matter.
>>
File: 20131017-134243.jpg (105KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
20131017-134243.jpg
105KB, 480x720px
>>52725632
If he had successfully ambushed you would he be promoted to majordomo?

>>52713988
I get that, I just don't know if that really applies to ST. It doesn't really do skill checks or ability checks like HT, DX or IQ.

>>52714301
>>52714171
>>52714065

So ST 15 is Schwarzenegger in Conan and 13 would be.. Ledger in a Knight's Tale? I am having trouble ball-parking what these stats look like an mean in context.
>>
File: 1456214376360.jpg (194KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
1456214376360.jpg
194KB, 517x768px
>>52717347
>>52717426
>>52717487
>>
>>52730146
>So ST 15 is Schwarzenegger in Conan and 13 would be
IIRC, ST20 has lift values close to what the current olympic and strongman records are.
>>
>>52730146
ST 15 is adrenaline-rushed Brendan Gleeson and Cilian Murphy lifting a cab while Megan Burns replaces a flat tire.
Arnie in Conans is 20.

Also, I've just realised Burns is 30 today... I feel fucking old
>>
>>52730976

Olympic competitors would have a combination of ST, high levels of Lifting ST, Lifting skill, and a technique for whatever lifting method they're competing in.
>>
>>52731102
Yeah probably, but I'm talking about straight up lift values, not about building an olympic competitor character.
>>
>>52730146
ST 10 - Average Joe
ST 12 - Martin Riggs
ST 15 - your average wrestler "movie"
ST 18 and above - any role of Arnie when he was at his peak
>>
>>52731102
Lifting ST is exotic. I know it's allowed in some games, but I don't think baseline humans generally get to buy it.
>>
>>52731193
>Lifting ST is exotic
Wait... what?
>>
>>52731202
It is. Arm ST is also exotic.
>>
>>52721799
Just decide your "base" setting and let most of your players make characters with that setting in mind. Let's call that Setting A. Meanwhile mislead other players into thinking they are going to play Setting B and Setting C, but don't let them talk about it with others.
Then just play it up the way you want to, depending on what Setting A was.

And you made me nostalgic, I spend half a night watching it. Dr Elvo did nothing wrong.
>>
>>52731202
>>52731214
Alien head next to an advantage = you can't take it if it doesn't come with your race/special ST permission/unusual background.
>>
>>52731227
I just always allowed that, treating it as what this anon >>52731102 described.
Holy shit, I never even checked if it's exotic
>>
>>52731214

Arm ST should be allowed to archers.
>>
>>52732192
That's basically what "Strongbow" is, though, isn't it?
>>
>>52717347

Clubbing people with it is "mace", using it as a fist load is brawling, beaming someone in the eyes is a DX check.
>>
>>52731102

>Lifting skill

OH NO HE DIDN'T
>>
X-Com XIX century-edition
>place: Europe, possibly limited to single country
>enemy: assorted monsters
>main mode of transportation: railroad
>keeping steampunk to a minimum, preferably none at all
>PCs are outstanding individuals commanding a squad of mook soldiers
What would be the best year for such a campaign?
>>
>>52732308
If you want to keep it even somewhat realistic, 1885 or later, so you at least have access to some better guns.

At the very least, 1866 so you have access to the Winchester lever-action rifles.
>>
>>52732308
1890? Lots of cool guns to play with and the excitement of a new century coming, with the march of industrial progress seeming to run ever faster. Early Kodak cameras, electric lights, even magazine fed rifles like the Lee-Metford.

Traveling by train to investigate alien/monster incursions and sending reports home via telegraph.
>>
>>52732426
I was thinking about setting it as early as possible, since repeating rifles being a rarity has some appeal. But yeah, the problem is that weapons will lack variety this way - you have some lever-action rifles, military single-shot rifles, revolvers, early blackpowder grenades, and that's pretty much it. Artillery is too heavy to lug it around, machine guns pretty much count as artillery, and so on.
>>
>>52732504
Not only variety, but early 19th century cartridge weapons were pretty weak by today's standards.

Good enough to put down a guy or a sectoid-equivalent, but a muton-equivalent would be trouble.
>>
File: GER_Friction_Primer.jpg (136KB, 767x950px) Image search: [Google]
GER_Friction_Primer.jpg
136KB, 767x950px
>>52732504
You could drop back to 1866 or so, but run into a problem that someone ( >>52732533 ) pointed out..

Spencer carbines have low damage and long reload times, and there's a lot of disadvantages to early revolvers available there.

You could go a bit later, landing in the 1870s where they can pick between powerful single shot guns and weaker repeaters. Dropping new rounds into a Martin-Henry means slower rates of fire but hits much harder then the lever-action Winchester 1873, while famous revolvers like the Colt Peacemaker hit like a hammer.

Note that it's not just black powder grenades. Around this time soliders were beginning to improvise grenades, often tin cans filled with round lead shot around a core of Dynamite with a 5 second fuse or so lit by a friction primer. Pull the wire, throw. These were murderously effective in the Crimean war.
>>
>>52724963
>>52725427
tl;dr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6Z_Rq7WjI
>>
>>52732636
>These were murderously effective in the Crimean war.
Anything even remotely resembling tactics and weapons designed to kill was murderous in Crimean War.
>>
File: apply.jpg (22KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
apply.jpg
22KB, 493x335px
>>52732681
Rude and savage
>>
>>52732636
>>52732533
I wish I could get my hands on some stats for punt guns and early elephant rifles. Still, 1890 provides so many more interesting opportunities, such as Maxim guns and mountain guns.
>>
What's the proper skill to use for breaking into and hotwiring a car?
>>
>>52732941
Depending on way of picking the doors, it can be Picklock, Mechanics (Automobile), Sleight of Hand, Electronics (Remote) if you do it Ghost Dog style or even just Boxing.

Hot-wiring itself is under Electronics, Mechanic and high enough Driving.
>>
>>52732965
Makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>52732941
>hotwiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APd8Ij6lZsI

And it works even better in Polish translation, where "hot-wiring" is called "spinać na krótko" (to short-circuit), so the dialogue goes around "It's too long to do it short"
>>
File: 1491374623253.png (138KB, 253x357px) Image search: [Google]
1491374623253.png
138KB, 253x357px
>>52732658
Mmmmmmyep, just replace "didn't do homework" with "worshipped dark gods" and replace "Japanese bucket pain" with "killed everyone she ever knew or loved "
>>
File: a-loutrance1.jpg (139KB, 643x354px) Image search: [Google]
a-loutrance1.jpg
139KB, 643x354px
So, how fucked would be 250-point characters if I pit them against MH monsters? How many expendable soldiers should I give them to compensate, while still keeping things manageable? I'm thinking about total party size limit of ten characters (including allies and mook soldiers), and expendable soldiers won't advance unless one of the PCs will adopt them as Ally (by paying points and all). Also, how many points should expendable soldier have?
>>
>>52734457
>MH monsters
What?
>>
>>52734457
Depends on TL, gear and minmaxing
>>
>>52734551
Either very late TL5 or very early TL6, gear is whatever the French gubmint can cough up, and I will probably allow stuff like psionics and inhuman characters, as well as some magic equipment.
>>
>>52734457
Combat characters count as 1.25 MH characters and noncombat characters 0.625 MH characters. 75pt combat mooks count as 0.375 MH characters while noncombat mooks count as 0.1875 MH characters.

This is assuming your'e using the Action templates and a 75pt downgraded versions of the low end allies from Sidekicks.
>>
>>52735306
How many canons can I use?
>>
>>52735581
>Combat characters count as 1.25 MH characters
You mean 200-point templates from Sidekicks?
>>
>>52737900
In MH, combat champions (400pts) count as 2 characters for the purpose of balancing against monsters (see the Enemy). Combat sidekicks (200pts), meanwhile, count as 1 character. Combat low-end allies (100pts) count as 0.5 characters. The non-combat focused characters are half of each of these for each power-level bracket. Just look at Sidekicks and Enemies.
>>
File: 1476414447801.jpg (141KB, 1024x1453px) Image search: [Google]
1476414447801.jpg
141KB, 1024x1453px
TL 3 combat skills, rated from Best to Worst

Best:
Axe/Mace, Shield, Crossbow, Wrestling, Sumo

Good:
Knife, Two Handed Axe/Mace, Throwing Weapon (Axe), Bow, Quarterstaff, Judo

Meh:
Two Handed Sword, Spear, Boxing, Flail, Kusagari

Mistake:
Broadsword, Thrown Weapons that aren't Axe, Karate, Cloak

Shit:
Lance, Sling

Did I miss anything?
>>
>>52739480

Why sumo?
>>
>>52739480
>not rating lasso
>>
>>52739528
Not that anon, but Sumo's focus on shoves over traditional grabs makes it a very good complement to armed fighting, which appears to be that anon's focus.

>>52739480
>Shit talking spear, boxing, and thrown weapon (shuriken)
>Being a right daft bastard
Pick two my man.

As much as kusagari's get my edgy weeaboo dick hard, they don't deserve to even be in the "meh" slot; double the reach of a halberd but four times the drawback.
>>
>>52739480
What's so bad about spears? I'd expect them to be good, considering how popular they were historically.
>>
>>52739480

Spear is easily one of the best.
You have one skill that adequately covers all your bases.
It gives you everything from short, one-handed spears with range C or 1 to massive two-handed pikes reaching as far as 5, as well as throwable options. Almost all spears are dirt cheap, and do a good amount of damage.

The only time I wouldn't count spear as one of the top weapons in low TL is if I'm running really high point values. In such high-power campaigns the increase in ST makes swing-based weapons more appealing, and the ability to comfortably afford investing in multiple weapon skills makes two specialist weapon skills more worthwhile than one extremely wide generalist like spear.
>>
File: 1b5ef11e026adbe6ce06bc91ad8fc839.jpg (416KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1b5ef11e026adbe6ce06bc91ad8fc839.jpg
416KB, 1100x1100px
>>52732210

It might be, but...i'm still not sold on Arm ST being an exotic trait. Certainly, dedicated archers and paraplegics are examples of people with arms that are proportionately stronger compared to the rest of their body.
>>
>>52739659
Huh? You can shove or slam with a medium shield as well as you can with Sumo, and get the benefits of block to boot. Sumo's absolutely worse than Wrestling when it comes to benefits in grapples, too, since Wrestling gets everything Sumo gets in grapples and them some. Plus, Wrestling doesn't penalize parrying kicks.

I honestly don't see the point of Sumo. It gets almost no love in Martial Arts, and with things like shield rushes and Push Kick, there's not much mechanical incentive to use it.

>>52739480
You underestimate knife, throwing axes, judo, spear, and sling.
>>
>>52739480
>TL3
>Meh
>Spear
>Mistake
>Karate
>Worst
>Lance, Sling

Nice bait you have there, not fuck off
>>
>>52740194
Technical Grappling adds a lot to Sumo's repertoire, and not everyone is going to be rocking a shield; a knight in heavy armor doesn't necessarily need a shield, but there are probably plenty of times he still wants some extra space.

It should never be your main grapple skill if you're focusing on grappling, but if your focus is on armed combat, having one skill the supplements your armed combat directly while giving you a defense if you end up in a grapple anyway is a solid investment.

Also don't shield give you -DB to most rolls if you're in CC with someone?
>>
>>52739659
It's TL 3, AKA the point when you were are most likely to face armored people. Punching people or throwing small, light, low damage thrown weapons is a bad idea.

>>52739889
Spears give up a lot of damage and put you in a bad place if you face armored targets. Polearms should be above them, in Good.

Historically spears are good because they are very cheap and complement formation fighting. Unless your group is very good at coperation, you won't get full benift from the formation options spears offer.

>>52739909
You make a solid case for spears, but there's still going to be a hell of a lot of times you are thrusting at DR 4-5 armor and doing fuck all nothing, and larger spears leave you very open to people getting close. I'd say based on verstility you can bump up Spears a point.

>>52740280
Karate is garbage in TL 3 because it's a Hard skill that eats a penalty to encumbers in the time when you are going to be most likely to wear armor and fight people wearing armor. It's 9 points behind someone that just grabbed brawling so you can break your hand trying to punch though DR 3.

>Lance and Sling

Lance is absurdly situational for a strike you can do almost as well with Spear, without having a skill that you need a huge, heavy weapon and a giant horse to get to use outside only vs targets in the open.

Slings have a place. It's not TL 3, where armor starts showing up a lot and there are much better ranged weapons that aren't Hard.
>>
>>52740372
>Also don't shield give you -DB to most rolls if you're in CC with someone?
AFAIK something like that. In that situation, it's better to Push Kick with Brawling or Karate, since investing in those gives you the ability to strike unarmed (possibly with an improved parry with Karate). Push Kick lets you target the legs or skull/face/neck for -2 or -3 to the DX check against falling down.

Also on the topic of CC shoves, remember that a Sumo shove uses empty hands, so you'd need to drop your weapon for a shove (if you can only shove with one hand, this is a situation where Sumo wins out due to the bonus). However, shoves with weapons use the weapon skill, and you add Reach or DB to the Shove's damage. So something Reach 2+ or DB2+ wins out against Sumo as a point investment, and likely still isn't worth it with a Reach 1 weapon.

If a knight wants extra space, I recommend Push Kick with Brawling, or Sweep with their main weapon, or Shove with their main weapon, or hell, even a Judo Throw. I can't really recommend Sumo Wrestling when it does so little.

I can't speak for Technical Grappling, though. Haven't read it. How does it make Sumo competitive?
>>
>>52740445
>Implying spears suck against armor
A few things here. One is that spears often rock sizable flat damage bonuses and TL3 armor isn't super great either. Yes, heavy scale or layered armor will do a lot to stop a spear, but that's like saying assault rifles are shit because they can't stop a tank. Two is that, like you said, spears are cheap, and cheap base pricing equals relatively cheap fine quality weapons for even higher damage. Lastly, LTC2 introduces "armor-piercer" quality for impaling weapons, and for a -1 to damage your spear gains an AD of (2).

If we take the Long Spear (mai waifu) one-handed to also allow a shield, you've got thr+2 for $60. Add in Fine (+2 CF) and Armor-Piercing (+3 CF) and you maintain thr+2 while gaining and AD of (2) for less than any sword. In the hands of an ST 12 soldier, that translates to 1d+1(2) imp, which is nothing to sneer at. DR will probably range from 4-6 in most cases, which translates to a final damage of 1d-1 to 1d-2, or anywhere from 0 to 10 injury and averaging 3-5 after multipliers.

>>52740575
TG expands the concept of training bonuses like the striking skills give to damage; each skill gives a scaled bonus to effective ST when doing things that skill specializes in. For Sumo, it uses the Fast track (meaning its bonuses start earlier and get bigger) for making and breaking grapples and making slams, shoves, and sweeps. Wrestling uses the Fast track as well, and Judo is actually stuck at Slow for everything on top of being Hard.
>tl;dr if using TG, Sumo both supplements armed combat and is a decent bread-and-butter grappling skill, lacking locks, throws, or Judo's other fancy tricks but being better and regular grapple things.
>>
>>52739480
You miss context. And logic.
>>
>>52741056
>AP spear

That feels like reaching really far to make it work, and doesn't fit with how other weapons work. Warhammers don't get an armor divisor despite being a very small spike with a heavy weight, deliberately designed to pierce armor.

Even with it, let's look at a match up.

Heavy Mail torso protection, likely the most common armor in human history.

With your AP Longspear you are paying $360. You have a dead zone at C and 1 reach and deal 1d+1(2)

Targeting vitals at -3 you are looking at 4.5 damage vs 2 DR, for a very respectable 6 to 9 average penetrating damage. If you can't make an AP spear, for some reason, then your damage drops to an average of 0 to 3.

Or you could take a Fine axe for $150 and 1d5+5 Cut damage. At -0 you hit for an average of 8.5 base damage vs 5 DR, or 4 to 6 damage past armor. You also have the option to aim for a limb, something that reduces even the AP spear to 2 to 3 damage.

So the axe doses almost the same damage with more versatility, lower cost, much easier introduction to a game (fine axeheads are everywhere. Nobody's ever heard of an AP spear), and you are able to swing for Deceptive (-2 attack/+1 Defense) while still being 1 point ahead of the spear user at the same skill.
>>
>>52739480
>Two Handed Axe/Mace
>good
It's literally worse in every way than Polearm and shit in general, it is only good for mooks.
>sling
>shit
RANGED WEAPON WITH SWING DAMAGE FOR $10 HOW IS THAT BAD
>Lance
>shit
Yeah, if you don't like to convert your horse's slam damage into impaling damage with additional bonus, you retard.
>Axe/Mace
>best
Yeah, if you are poorfag and don't need reach 2 or reach C
>flail
>meh
Literally a free defense penalty and good damage
>Mistake:
>Broadsword
Just shut your face
>Did I miss anything?
Listing yourself under a "mistake"
>>
>>52739480
>>52739659
>>52740194
>>52740280
>>52741828
>>52742673
I think we have a new GURPS pasta.
>>
MUH ATLATLS
>>
>>52742422
Armor-piercing weapons are basically just narrow pyramids rather than pointy traditional blades; I know estocs are treated as AP and trade their reduced penalties vs chinks in armor with AD(2), and IIRC that also applies with similar weapons including picks and war hammers.

While this feels like reaching, one of the reasons I like spears is the stances mechanic from Gladiators and the icepick grip from Martial Arts; both let you position the weapon to drop Reach by 1, giving the spear a final reach range of 1-3. While swapping between reverse and regular grips isn't practical, denying a side is a free action and gives the spear a good deal of flowing reach.

On that note, dealing an average of 9 injury before your opponent can get close enough to swing is HUGE; you've damn near killed the guy, and you'd have to be facing an absolute monster to not be triggering penalized HT rolls.

Axes are baller, though; I'm certainly not arguing against the usefulness of being able to bring so much raw damage to the table coupled with close-quarters reach and limb-hacking ability. I just think spears deserve some love too.
>>
>>52742673
Slings are DX/Hard and have acc 0.
>>
From a points perspective Broadswords give you a good defense without having to sink points into shield. With a regular Axe you get an unbalanced weapon that can't parry out of the box and leaves you wanting in the defense department.
>>
>>52744337
Yeah, people shit on broadsword but you get a great upgrade path and a very classic and solid weapon you can use in a bunch of different situations. Axes give up parrying and thrusting and that matters.

Axe/Mace is just better for people that are always going to keep a shield.
>>
>>52744523

With the Defensive Attack optional rule, axes become more worthwhile.
>>
Spears are used to keep men and horses at bay. Polearms do the damage either by hacking them into pieces or pulling them from their saddle (see hacking them into pieces for what happens afterword). Swords were mainly a secondary weapon used for close-quarters fighting. Crossbows are inferior in almost everyway when compared to bows. They have one advantage in that they're easy-peasy to learn how to use compared to bows. This let's you shit out trained crossbowmen in a few months compared to the years it would take to train a proper archer. Of course all this assumes organized fighting. In a disorganized situation, people will be going for light weapons with medium or small shields along with a small bow or a several thrown weapons.
>>
>>52746280
TL 3 archers aren't bad by any means, but without Heroic/Cinematic rules the best way to use a bow or crossbow is likely one good shot from ambush then switching to a close combat weapon. Crossbows are easier and deal more damage when used that way. They are also easier if you need a quick shot, as you don't have to load and draw before you fire one.

You hit the nail on the head for disorganized fighting. GURPS can do huge groups and lots of organisation, but most games are going to be 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 brawls, with the occasional 10 on 4 or something to remind everyone why being outnumbered in GURPS is bad.
>>
>>52746280
Keep in mind that crossbows also had greater penetrating power than bows. Since you could take your time cocking it mechanically, you could easily make crossbows with far greater tension than bows.
They were known to be able to penetrate plate armour, where ordinary bows could not.
>>
>>52742775
And a really retarded one, even for pasta standards
>>
>>52740445
Now I'm not sure if this was all bait or genuine stupidity
>>
So, what campaigns are you guys planning?

I'm currently working on a sci-fi campaign that will have the whole transhuman shishkebang.

Little does my players know though that it is also a mecha campaign. I'll spring that on them halfway into the campaign as tensions rises between the different factions and they start arming their space vehicle workers.
>>
>>52748032
Sounds like it could be interesting.

>So, what campaigns are you guys planning?
Planning a redo on a bronze age fantasy campaign that got off to a bad start because me and the players had different ideas about the kind of game we wanted, compounded by the fact that they told me they wanted a different kind of campaign from the one they actually wanted.

So I'm going to look for another group of players and try again a couple of months down the line.
>>
>>52748076

It's a pity when you can't get your group on board for a campaign, I was also planning something bronze/early iron age for a while, but a lot of casual players shy away from that since it sounds boring. Maybe sometimes in the future.

In my current planned campaign, I don't want to elaborate too much in case one of my players sees this (since I don't want to spoil the mecha surprise), but I've working out the kinks for it both not just being a mecha campaign and for a way for the mecha to naturally slide into narrative without breaking the otherwise pretty "hard sci-fi" I'm going for.
>>
I'm currently working on a builder project with extensive set of rules and the plan goes to involve elements from GURPS in it. But I would like to hear some voices and suggestions about it, as this always works better than making decisions alone.

So the idea is for making a post-apo builder, semi-realistic sci-fi kitchen sink, with 9 different type of factions involved in it: government remnant, military remnant, corporation remnant, university remnant, survivors, tribals, bandits, mutants and robots. Units should be made on squad basis and singular ones. And starting population for each faction should have own qualifications, with starting roll to determinate if given faction gained some qualified specialists and maybe even "hero" unit.

This means at least 3 things:
- templates for each faction type, made just like NPC cards, regarding what skills and ads/disads each of them should have
- regarding what "range" of points either standard, specialist or "hero" unit should have
- taking into account the general "flavour" of each faction type
>>
>>52749566
So to help with above:
>Gov. Remnant
A jack of all trades, with everything being average for them & ability to copy over time in limited way special ability of chosen faction of another type
>Mil. Remnant
Comes with strong military (duh) and ability to treat ENTIRE population as soldiers when needed
>Corp. Remnant
Always starts with ability to manufacture high-end goods and always getting much better results from those actions
>Uni. Remnant
Starts with high-end technology in picked field and good research in general, but weak everything else, a la archetypical egg-heads
>Survivors
Civilian population that adopted to the world around and is either stationary or nomadic (player initial choice). Specialise in jury-rigging and scravange (their codename is Roaches of New World)
>Tribals
Low-tech primitives that still might incorporate some old tech, but in general are tribalistic society (duh), specialising on scouting, survival and hunting
>Bandits
"Chaotic insane", but ignore most of standard penalties for militarising their popoulation AND can instantly upgrade their units upon getting better hardware; they also get "bored" when not doing bandit stuff.
>Mutants
Bio-engineered organisms that come with better toughness, resistance and raw strenght, also ignoring most of environmental hazards and dietery issues, but they come with very low natural fertility. They are NOT dumber, slower or anything like that.
>Robots
Depending on player choice, an AI-controlled military base, research facility or industrial complex, so the type of bots and their "costs" are tied with type of starting location. Oh, and they are robots!
>>
>>52749566
>>52749579
Just to clarify - I need those templates for their units, not factions as such
>>
>>52749566
>>52749579
>>52749615
So you need fighting units or units in general or population or... what exactly?
>>
>>52749696
I need it in two tranches:
- starting "resources", when each player rolls 5d20, with each die governing if they get specialist (and how many of them, if at all) or maybe even a "hero" in fields of: manufacturing, science, military, scavange and utility skills. I've already got tables for that figured out.
- templates for future units they will produce; players most often just produce military units, but scouts, scavenge teams and general support will be a big part of this builder, so they will build those too.
>>
>>52749566
Not sure if I get it all right (or at all), but let's try anyway

First of all, have you read After the End books already?

>"range" of points either standard, specialist or "hero" unit should have
Not sure how it work with your game, but my typical stance is 125/-25 for "typical" PCs, 150/-30 for skilled professionals (all sorts of characters with Professiona Skill (X)) and 200/-40 for non-super, but high end games. I think this might suit your demand too.
Of course this might still not work out, considering the descriptions provided here >>52749579, since some of the stuff provided there would cost some sum of points (especially the mutant stuff)

But let's continue
>>Gov. Remnant
Duty/Sense of Duty for their background
Pick elements from other factions
>>Mil. Remnant
Sense of Duty
Every single character with Soldier, Guns (Rifle) and Hiking at least 13
>>Corp. Remnant
Assuming this is stereotypical kitchen sink, then probably Increased Consumption.
Mechanic, Machinist, Economy, Finances, Merchant skills should be pretty widespread
>>Uni. Remnant
Everyone with at least 12 IQ
Research, Teaching, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Math (Applied), Repair, maybe Mechanic, maybe Surgery, all at least 13. No combat skills at all I guess
>>Survivors
High HT or at least Increased HT (even if they work the same, the flavour is different)
Widespread Mechanic, Repair, Scrounging, Search at 10, 12 and 14, Survival at at least 13
>>Tribals
Low TL penalty, Enchanced Tracking
Traps, Survival, Bows, some melee skills, Gardening, Known Area, Observation, Tracking
>>Bandits
Compulsive Behaviour, maybe Addiction or two and Odious Personal Habit
Guns, Crossbows, Brawling, maybe Mechanic and Driving, all ranging from 10 to 12 (shouldn't be too high thou)
>>Mutants
Filter Lungs, Unusual Biochemistry, DR, Increased ST (or just making it high), Nictitating Membrane
No specific skills
>>Robots
Just check robot templates

And what the hell is a builder anyway?
>>
>>52750207
Thanks a buch!

>what the hell is a builder anyway?
A type of quest-faggotry. It's basically a turn-based strategy game, so rather than having single Civ in Civ Quest, each player is having own faction
>>
>>52750207
Filling gaps for this anon:
Give soldiers and tribals Combat Reflexes, add mutants High Pain Threshold.
Survivor "specialists" should also get CR, just like government and bandit heroes.

When the game is starting? And if on /qst/ or some other place?
>>
Running a haunted house game tonight. Gimmie some fun zombie variants.
>>
>>52753018
Body parts move about independently even once severed
Check powers for the rundown, but it's fun
>>
Need some stats for giant insect monsters (something like HL2 antlions). Also, what would be the best way to make a nest for such burrowing monsters so that the players will be able to enter it? I was thinking about having a sinkhole leading into it.
>>
File: 3789651.jpg (65KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
3789651.jpg
65KB, 600x750px
Such drone covered in HT or UT?
>>
>>52753095
I like it!
>>
>>52749566
>>52749579
Do you need something like this? And is it you, Strielok?
>>
Cream someone share our point me to the document mentioned a few days ago with TN benchmarks?
>>
>>52755332
Fuck my phone.

*Can someone share or point
>>
What - aside of course cinematic rules - would be required to pull arrow parry in style of that from "Hero"? Where you have massed arrows flying and you parry them with a wide sleeves of your robe?
>>
>>52750450
/qst/, since builders get moved there too. I think early May. I think the game as such would be ready for 1st May, but due to Polish holidays, I'm afk 28th April - 3rd May

>>52755236
Yes please!

And this is Gordie. Strelok stopped running his Post-Apo Civ Quests roughtly two years ago and I've got enough data from both his games and Strelok himself (no "i" in the middle, to be different from the STALKER guy) to organise a builder out of it. I always wanted to make one, but shit was just too complex to make a builder out of it on Strelok's rules alone.
And then I've finally started playing regular GURPS games, so I finally have all the materials for behind-the-table rolls, thus it's now all about making full preparations and start doing a test play with Baz and other grogs.
>>
File: 01_27 copy.jpg (54KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
01_27 copy.jpg
54KB, 600x405px
>BRDM-2 locations in High-Tech are t4W
It should be t4W4Wr, goddamit.
>>
>>52755822
Oh, so it's for something based on Post-Apo Civ Quest? Great, that helps a lot with the templates, will work of it in the evening.
>>
I want to give my players a power that could make them more durable. The only requirement is that it can't be passive. Any ideas? This is for a modern-world game.
>>
>>52756382
DR of Injury Tolerace (Damage Reduction) with Takes Ready plus All-Out. You get a bunch of DR or divide injury, but that's ALL you can do; you can't even make active defenses. You just raise your arms and tank it.
>>
>>52755692
Warning: I have no idea what scene you're talking about, but if I were going to do that, I would treat the mass of arrows as a single attack with high RoF. Parry deflects 1+MoS arrows. Rest is fluff.
>>
>>52756520
Not him and sorry for poor quality, but I assume he means this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EknwERf3o
Basically, the guy inside is making a masterpiece caligraphy, while the other two makes sure the rain of arrows doesn't kill him or even interrupt the process.
And yes, it makes MUCH more sense in the context of the story. If you never saw the movie - go see it. One of the best modern wuxia, if not THE best one.
>>
>>52757026
Parry Missile Weapons as a technique for their combat skills that buys off the penalty for parrying arrows, bunch of levels of Enhanced Parry (Low Velocity Missiles Only, -X%), Feverish Defense, and Trained by a Master/Weapon Master for reduced multiple parry penalties, and likely character points/wildcard points/destiny points/impulse points spent to automatically succeed on a failed defense roll Most likely cloak for the woman's sleeves. Then use the MoS parry rules from >>52756520.
These people are probably a thousand or two points, FYI. That's very very high-power play.
>>
>>52756520
Thanks

>>52757026
Yup, this scene

>>52757129
Even bigger thanks, especially for the Cloak remark - I keep forgetting about that skill.
And they are masters in wuxia story, so it's basically "as powerful as the story demands". I'm not even sure if 2k points would be enough for the crazy stuff they pull during the story, even if you ignore that most of it is exactly that - a story, most likely false.
>>
>>52755822
>this is Gordie
Daily reminder the shit you've pulled with Shi-Ci is unforgivable. Even ignoring simple salt factor on side of wiped out players, it was just a dick move all by itself.
>>
>>52757978
Whatever. It's almost two years later. I long ago stopped giving shit about Shi-Ci or the fallout of it.
If you just came here to shitpost in GURPS GEN, just stop already.
If you want to help to turn Strelok's game into a builder - be my guest and help with templates and ideas.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>52753164
UT, Kind of. HT was published before small quadcopter drones were a real thing, and missed the possbilites they have for reconssance, harrassment, assination, ect.
>>
>>52716634
Not sure if still here, but this is pretty doable.

For human enemies you can basically leave them like as they are. If you're going to use animals, then you'll need to recalculate health. This is pretty easy since most stat blocks I've seen include the animal's weight as well.

Unlike D&D, GURPS doesn't change every decade or so for the sake of changing. You could honestly use 1e statblocks without changing much
>>
>>52765069
Yeah. I've built a 3e character once or twice, it's seemed pretty similar to 4e (much like the iterative design of Rolemaster, Savage worlds, or Runequest).

That's why I was wondering if there was a good reason for me not to use 3e Stat blocks.

How Wrong is 3e health, is it close?
>>
>>52765107
No, it's not, but it kind of doesn't matter.

In 3e health was based off HT. Just set health equal to ST and you're good to go. Or use the number they give, it's not like your players will ever know.

The 4e update talks about converting characters from older editions. If you're unsure you can use that, but I'm of the opinion that any numbers the players can't see ultimately aren't important.
>>
>>52755879
Whoah, didn't notice that. Neat

Also, and this is probably a touchy subject, but-
...How are things with 4th edition Vehicles, by the way?
>>
>>52756382
In modern, high- or ultra-tech settings: LUCK.

Encourage them to buy the first level of Luck. ..Now, I know, I know: It's kind of cinematic, and supposedly it takes away from the excitement and whatnot, right?
It really doesn't.
It just gives the players a slight edge that will save the life of their character if they play it right. It's a godsend for dangerous(high-/ultra-tech) campaigns where the players are really connected to their characters, and you don't want resurrection to be prevalent/possible.
And it's really not something that breaks realistic immersion either.

This is particularly handy in campaigns where a single shrapnel-throwing explosion (or simple bullet) can wreck just about anything with vitals.

On an unrelated note: Intelligent zombies/undead make for lovely horrifying enemies, especially in a modern setting, damn..
>>
>>52766138
>It just gives the players a slight edge that will save the life of their character if they play it right
Not that guy, but all my players have luck, and they constantly waste it on unimportant stuff and really wish they still had it 15 minutes later when the real shit goes down.
>>
>>52757186
>2k points mythical wuxia legends
Damn, sounds like an interesting build. I've always wondered what would happen if you take all the juicy bits related to martial arts and really powering it up (without blatant eye-lasers and lightning breath and whatnot).

>>52766147
Holy crap.
..Well.. I don't know. Maybe they don't take their characters' lives seriously?
Damn, that sounds like some thermonuclear lack of tactical thinking.
Maybe they'll learn, though.
>>
>>52766200
>Damn, that sounds like some thermonuclear lack of tactical thinking.
Yes. So far they've wasted Luck for cheating at roulette in a casino, on various perception rolls, on dodging a shove, on breaking into a car and on lockpicking various doors.
>Maybe they'll learn, though.
One can hope. We're 3 sessions in now. I'm kinda surprised no one died yet (although 2 people are crippled temporarily).
>>
>>52766147
Force them to take it as Defensive Only. Makes it cheaper and makes them use it only when it is really important.
>>
>>52766271
Ah, I see. 3 sessions in isn't that much though, luckily. I bet they'll realize soon enough how important it is to save it.
(Just make sure they feel their lives hanging in a thin thread now and then, heh)

>>52766280
Also, this is an option
(Although I think they're better off learning themselves that saving it for critical moments is paramount)
>>
>>52766280
Hell no, I'm having too much fun with it. They can learn on their own or die trying.
>>
How much points would be a level 3 5e character in gurps?
200 as DF?
>>
>>52756478
>>52766138
Thanks for the suggestions, I knew about Luck and the defensive DR is pretty much perfect. I was wondering, are there any encountering balancing guidelines around? Like, how do I know that a monster isn't too strong to obliterate my players?
>>
>>52766092
Complete silence from SJG.
>>
>>52766200
>I've always wondered what would happen if you take all the juicy bits related to martial arts and really powering it up (without blatant eye-lasers and lightning breath and whatnot).
Go watch Hero (duh). There is a scene where two such characters literally PLOW through Imperial Guards. It's fun to watch and yet it's still solely about two people armed with swords cutting through small army (as in - literal army) to get to their target of assassination. Because who needs sneaking when you kill people left and right without even slowing down.
And yet somehow it doesn't feel OP in the slightest.
>>
>>52766415
>Lvl 3
>200 points
At a very best, more like 125/-15
>>
>>52766951
Any fantasy race runs you already 60 ish points
>>
>>52767143
>I'm shit with character making
Yeah, I've noticed
>>
>>52767161
Pretty sure elves clock at 48 aprox (using 3.5 conversion I saw online mind you) and in characters dwarf was like 60 or so
>>
>>52766941
(Oh, I've watched Hero many times. I was more interested in fully statting---and playing!---such characters in GURPS.)

>>52766310
Hear hear!
>>
>>52767306
You know, when I will finish work, I guess I will try to pull this, since I'm just as curious.
>>
>>52767229
That's exactly what you get using automated conversion rates made by random hack - shit characters with point bloat. Reminds me few generals ago, when people were making WH40k units and most of them didn't exceed 250 point, while all being transhuman battle hero-tier powerful, while typical build for them is around 500+ points
>>
>>52766941
>And yet somehow it doesn't feel OP in the slightest.
That's because you watched too much anime. Whole thing is pretty damn silly.
>>
File: The-Swordsman.jpg (35KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
The-Swordsman.jpg
35KB, 800x534px
>>52767325
Damn.. Another thought, concerning this: Ordinarily, when playing around with extremely high-power characters, we (or at least I) have a tendency to overlook more tactical gameplay---as with weaker/ordinary characters---in favour of steamrolling things.

Now, a 2000+ point wuxia legend would probably have no trouble steamrolling things too, heh.. but it would be hellishly interesting to see how a GURPS master would squeeze out absolute maximum statistical efficiency from all the combat rules (including Technical Grappling, Martial Arts, etc..), in demonstrating how a true over-the-top wuxia scene would play out.

It would be a lot of work, involving careful scrutiny of everyround, but holy hell, it would be a fun project.

Who knows, all of gurpsgen could get in on it and suggest round-by-round tactics based on the known and current combat situation.
>>
File: 09 - Hero.jpg (57KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
09 - Hero.jpg
57KB, 800x300px
>>52767360
Nah, I don't think he meant silly. He probably meant that the poetic/lyrical nature of the film---including the very nature of the separate sub-stories---makes for an atmosphere in which over-the-top fighting and skill like that doesn't feel out of place.
The heroes doesn't feel tacky or overpowered because of the tone of the movie, and their personalities and roles in the narrative.

(That's not to say it'll necessarily age well for everyone... Even though I love it to death, I can definitely see where you're coming from.)
>>
I can't find stats for a Remington 1858 New Army, could someone help me? High-Tech doesn't seens to have it as i've gone through the entire table of guns.
>>
>>52767433

That revolver is in the "High-Tech: Adventure Guns" supplement.
>>
>>52748032
>So, what campaigns are you guys planning?
As hard as I can do TL10/11 sci-fi setting.

No FTL, ships use huge radiators to drop heat and combat-ships use retractable radiators and heat-sinks. Only real viable option for tactical maneuvers is chemical rockets and limited access to competitive antimatter rockets, so slow and economic hangar ships carrying fighters will be the norm.

Two colony ships were sent away a few hundred years ago, but every true human being in our system has been killed by a few centuries of over-exploitation, war, slow, failed terraforming projects and finally a designer-disease.
Earth is mostly inhospitable, Mars has greenhouse settlements, and a number of space habitats exist. Races include uplifts, parahumans, bioroids, AI and "robo-sapiens" trying to maintain what's left of human culture and way of life.
>>
>>52767851
Nah, thats a 1863 New Army, think about it like the mk3 version of this gun, i was looking for the original patent prototypes because i don't know whats the difference, and why they changed the cock thing, also i'm running a 1858 game and having a few recently made guns by a prototypist gunsmith would be cool. I guess i will just use the same stats and threat it like the colt walker malfunction.
>>
>>52765161
Gotcha. Yeah. As I'm sure you've gathered, I'm thinking of making use of some 3e Bestiaries to help make up for a lack of 4e Bestiaries.
>>
File: 1262129157983.jpg (10KB, 256x250px) Image search: [Google]
1262129157983.jpg
10KB, 256x250px
>>52767870
Soudns nice

For extra hardness, remember to treat (military) robots/drones appropriately/realistically: Absolutely horrifying enemies that can locate, outmaneuver, target, and most likely destroy pretty much anything organic before a tenth of a second has passed. Making the players scared of robotic enemies is a lovely feeling, and makes for fantastic suspense and excitement.
..Just take care not to let volitional AIs run free. (Volitional AIs are soft and mushy sci-fi, since there's practically no reason to make/design them.)
>>
What is the highest point items/characters/perks that have ever been published in official material?
>>
>>52748032
Something dungeon fantasy esque for core mechanics, but drawing inspiration from Rolemaster and Runequest 6 for chargen (race+ environment+ culture & upbringing+ personal background+ career training package) lenses, plus d20&5e converted powers, races, and perhaps some monsters, along with some new stuff, for some group familiarity, with rpm-esque casting - possibly using the notes for using sorcery rules to design the spells (so I can use GURPS powers to design everything), and discouraging spontaneous spell invention over inventing them in advance, possibly with an advantage to invent spells on the fly without penalty.

Gonna be our first RM game, I've got lots of time before I can run it, and I figure some familiarity with other games they know, plus some new stuff to change it up, should help get them into it.

As our first game I'm not going to just dump them in with freeform point buy. It's gonna be lenses + some amount of free points, with a cheatsheet of stuff they can buy with it, which will also include "class features".
>>
>>52768549
Our first GURPS game. WTF autocorrect. That's not even close.
>>
>>52768449
I remember a text-box about some creature(s) from Norse myth, and one of them had like a six-figure ST score and DR to match, so probably that unless someone statted a planet in Space.
>>
>>52768736
W-what? Do you remember where?
I mean at those levels you kind of either put away the dice, or you put away the proper rules.
>>
>>52768549
Tha sounds like a ton of shit to do.

I've been wanting to convert the 5e classes over to GURPS for a while, do you want some help with any of that? Or have you already done it?
>>
File: Ymir_2017-04-18.png (99KB, 707x734px) Image search: [Google]
Ymir_2017-04-18.png
99KB, 707x734px
>>52768926
Found it. Ymir from Underground Adventures.

Pretty sure it's not meant to be fought or really interacted with normally.
>>
>>52768449
IIRC storm from x-men has a point cost way over 1700points, there is even a template somewhere on the old supers suplement
>>
File: 1395102505157.jpg (1MB, 1600x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1395102505157.jpg
1MB, 1600x1414px
>>52769208
>>
>>52768416

Those are actually my two biggest conundrums at the moment.
Making drones scary and devastating while keeping them interesting and somewhat manageable, especially on a personal scale. I'm looking into sensors, jamming and potential cloaking to let organics even out the odds at least a bit but it seems everything that can be used by slow, fleshy organics can also be used against them to great effect. Using *A* drone as a stand-in for the classic dragon could work.

AI is also a tough nut, my initial idea for volitional AI was machine minds as human-like as the last humans could make, in as human-like robotic bodies they could make, maintaining as much of human culture as they could. An Ark project ala. The Talos Principle.
But I'm not sure whether I'll end up including volitional AI or not, it seems to me they'd have a tendency to drastically spiral out of control intelligence-wise.
If I say they use personal, synthetic brains rather than exist as software running on any suitable hardware I can get rid of that problem, but I think that'd neuter their potential a bit as a race and make them more or less indistinguishable from a cyborg parahuman with neural implants.
>>
>>52768449

Dragons has some racial templates in the 1500p range and some individual dragons from mythology in the same range.
>>
>>52769119
I haven't done it yet. And yeah, it's a lot to do.

But it's looking like I won't be getting any gaming in for the next year (im on the other side of the continent) so it'll give me something to do, and I figure it'll be reusable.

There are some guys on the GURPS forums who have started doing some of it for 3.5 already. I figured I'd start with collecting all of that into a google document for each class, and have each class be a couple pages.

But I'm basically thinking:

Paradigm
>Anything unlimited would be advantages converted via powers and basic set, purchased as discreet selectable chunks.
>no individually tracked x uses/y time period abilities. Maybe 1/day abilities, if they can never get multiple uses per day and it would be game breaking to let them have more.
>Any magic conversions I do will all be in the same rpm+inventing+sorcery game style (and I'm not going to attempt to convert all the spells, at least not on my own) - that will be a separate project from any class conversions.

As for what to use for conversion inspiration, my group is generally more of a Pathfinder group, not a 5e group, but the 5e stuff sounds like a good starting point, and then maybe later I'll also add in stuff for witches and maguses and warpriest and such, as well as expand on the available class features by grabbing some of the cooler features from Pathfinder to expand things.

I'd be happy for the help (I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to use such a conversion) once I get the Google docs started. Maybe I'll start on that when I get home tonight, toss the documents together, copy over the stuff that was converted from 3.5 and leave links, link you to an index of some sort, and we can go from there?
>>
>>52769647
With each class serving as a buffet of purchasable special abilities, and eventually having suggestions for skills, advantages, and spell selection themes (if applicable).

Currently I've just started on the racial templates, so lots to do still.
>>
File: nowhere-to-run.jpg (1MB, 2504x1775px) Image search: [Google]
nowhere-to-run.jpg
1MB, 2504x1775px
>>52769417
AIs as in "uploaded human minds" are better and more plausible, although it might still unbalance the game unless kept carefully in check (by strict in-game pan-system regulations and laws, etc.). My suggestion, follow the Alastair Reynolds route: Keep volitional AIs at a minimum. They're unrealistic. There's absolutely no incentive for any huge, powerful organization/nation to make a machine that can form spontaneous desires and act on them completely freely.
(Do keep in mind, though, that non-volitional AIs can be hellishly, breath-takingly and absolutely cosmically intelligent. ..but making a volitional one would be madness.)

As for the rest, you could do what I did with my TL10/11 setting: In the vast multiplex of human cultures and systems, make the players fear "the bigger fish".
In my setting, this was the Integrated Coalition Military---the offensive arm of the centralized pan-sector government.
Now, robots and drones are prevalent as hell in this setting, naturally, but the Coalition has enormously tight regulations on the most advanced technologies (not to mention the infrastructure required to manufacture it).
The setting is complex and variant, naturally:
Piracy, crimelords, vast struggling low-TL slums, backwater hillbilly planets á la Firefly, etc. etc..Lots of "illegal" stuff everywhere, of course. (Privatized law enforcement, mostly)
..but there's the distinction between an illegal autonomous assualt drone made by a shady triad-financed multibillion-dollar corp, and a war drone made by the united scientific, technological and financial power of an entire pan-sector government union.

What this let me do was create a huge "gap", giving the players perspective and making them feel that the setting was deeper. The ICM (or "the military") became synonymous with eldritch Lovecraftian horrors, insofar as you -really- shouldn't piss it off, and if encountered, you should either sneak away, or somehow direct their focus at your enemy.
>>
>>52769499
Isn't the hightest point-total dragon one of the Chinese god-dragons? I think it was around 2,400 points or so, but I might be mixing it up
>>
>>52769716
For actual character advancement I'm also thinking about somehow working in CER maximums and minimums by character point total, and calling it levels, but I was thinking I'd give dungeon fantasy a more thorough read first before I go and build that, and see how much I can avoid reinventing the wheel.

Campaign wise, I'm thinking i'll run it more like a low tech Shadowrun than how most people run D&D. Faction conflicts, PCs taking on missions and often not knowing who is actually hiring them, double-crosses, etc.
>>
File: g4.png (102KB, 290x342px) Image search: [Google]
g4.png
102KB, 290x342px
>>52769973
>Using (best) system where classless and leveless portrayed as one of main features (every time before speaking of universality and gritty and cinematic sides of realism)
>Wants to add levels for comfort
You disgusting!
>>
File: 1432325845740.jpg (45KB, 300x356px) Image search: [Google]
1432325845740.jpg
45KB, 300x356px
>>52769208
>(size -80%)
>damage: 5,000,001d/5,000,003d
>(tough skin, -40%)
>>
>>52769208
Some kinda fatigue contact poison? Or does that still get penalties (or bonuses) from the SM?
>>
>>52770287
It's a pretty damned loose approximation of levels to put a maximum and minimum range on of CER on the players.

But, I mean, what part of "it's gonna be the groups first GURPS campaign when I move home" tripped you up?
>>
>>52770287
>>52770408
I mean the campaign premise is D&D+RM+RQ+Shadowrun, with some unique GURPS bits thrown in to spice things up.

I'm easing them into it. When everyone is already used to GURPS, then I'll consider busting out stuff further from their comfort zone.
>>
>>52770287
Oh man, are there more comics/images making fun of GURPS like that?
>>
>>52770287
>dat image
Is that true?
>>
>>52770973
Not really. They always forget the size modifier the moon has to ~being seen.~

Now in D&D, that is quite true.
>>
>>52766415
Use the henchmen templates from Dungeon Fantasy.

>>52769119
I'm pretty sure Dungeon Fantasy has most of the D&D classes already converted. The main templates from that line would be mid-level D&D characters while the henchmen would be level 2 or 3.
>>
>>52771036
So... moon has an SM of 37.
How does distance affect perception?
>>
>>52770973

Range and Size modifiers actually does add up to that, yes. The penalty from distance is about 10 or 11 worse than the bonus for size, so with +10 from "in plain sight" you end up with Per or Per-1 to spot the moon.

And this would be a pretty good number if the moon didn't stick out like a glowing orb on a black canvas.
It's shining brightly, and there's NOTHING else of interest in the night sky, so the bonus is much bigger than just +10 from "in plain sight". Try +6 for "light source" and perhaps a bonus for "not only is there no concealment, there's literally nothing else to pay attention to".
>>
>>52771235
It's worth noting that that roll is made every second and assumes a strange sky. It might realistically take a second of scanning the sky to find the moon.

Standing in my driveway when get home from work at 10 pm, I will always see the moon over my house; I don't have to search for it. If I was lost innawoods and stumbled into a large open clearing, I might spin in place for a bit to find where the moon is.

I do agree that a further bonus for being a light source makes sense.
>>
>>52770623
It's Murphy's Rules, a series of comics riffing busted rules and mechanics in RPGs, board games, and early CRPGs.
>>
>>52767360
Since this anon >>52767429 already explained the point, I, the original anon, have the following message for you:
Don't be a cunt.

The scene perfectly fits the narrative of the movie. What? You were sitting on King Kong (the one from decade ago) and complained that there is a huge ape in it? Or you were watching Unforgiven and complaining how the 4 deputies can't hit Munny despite standing 10 feet from him, even if entire fucking movie was build for that one scene, with hefty dose of hand-waving?

Part of wuxia is wire fu combined with martial artists doing literally impossible. Done right and it's perfectly watchable (so you get stuff like Once upon time in China or Hero). Done badly/cheaply and you get pure comedy gold, because they usually make the movie self-aware about own lacking budget.
>>
>>52772598
>comedy gold
Oh man.. I love those. It's like I can't take them seriously, but I'm still enjoying them more than I would a pure dedicated comedy.
Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h0kAeS-BCk
For many years--when I was young--I honestly didn't know if this was a parody movie or not.
(I have no idea about the sporadic Finnish voiceover in the linked clip. Probably someone trying to be funny.)

Haven't seen Once Upon a Time in China yet, actually.
>>
>>52772825
Man, that's literally top-tier classic "modern" (pretty much the first one that can qualify as modern) wuxia. The sheer amount of iconic scenes from OUaTiC is just plain amazing. It's sufficient to say that pretty much all "historical" wuxia made after '92 borrows from that movie and the direct sequel.
I can bet you even know certain sequences and scenes from spoofs.

Shame the cinematography itself aged badly, as those movies were still made pretty cheap and on the late 80s Kodak stock, so go figure how it looks like today.
But honestly, OUaTiC is probably the best and safest bet when looking for inspirations for late Qing China campaign and not just reading history textbooks.
>>
File: 3x14_Cox_realizes.jpg (96KB, 944x712px) Image search: [Google]
3x14_Cox_realizes.jpg
96KB, 944x712px
>>52773132
>not just reading history textbooks.

Jokes aside, sounds awesome despite the poor aging. Not the anon you were talking to, but I'm hyped to give it a shot.
>>
>>52773193
Thing is, I'm a Sinologist by trade (well, museum curator with Masters in Chinese Culture, but still) and I still say it's a pretty accessable to watch and get the broad idea where you should be going with the setting based on that place and period without having any formal or informal education on the subject.
Not everyone is willing to slog through reading about one of the most turbulent periods in Chinese history, when most of books dedicated to the subject are just plain boring (trust me, I HAD to read them). And especially not when you are just searching for ideas for a game setting and not actual historical or cultural knowledge.
>>
File: 1437172364253.jpg (98KB, 992x570px) Image search: [Google]
1437172364253.jpg
98KB, 992x570px
>>52773132
Hmm.. I'll give them a go when I can. God knows I enjoy those wuxia movies more than I care to admit.

(I hope that anon from earlier in the thread is still interested in statting out a true wuxia powerhouse/legend.)

Good night, /gurps/
>>
>>52773193
Not him, but it's the exact kind of place where people are willing to rather watch a movie than read actual textbook and then even have audacity to make their entire arguments based on the movie "data", creating massive shitstorms.
Just remind yourself an average "bows vs other ranged weapons" thread.
>>
File: 1405945046757.png (670KB, 803x803px) Image search: [Google]
1405945046757.png
670KB, 803x803px
>Gordie is a GURPSfag
Why I'm not even surprised?
>>
Don't you die on me, baby!
>>
>>52740087
Don't you think it'd be an Unusual Background
>>
>>52771166
just check the size/speed table, read Linear Measurement as distance and you will get the modifiers.

>>52770973
>>52771036
>>52770287
>>52770623
>>52771690
Anyone got a pdf of Murphy's Rules? its a SJG book
>>
>>52773799
>tfw you came into this thread just to shitpost about the most cancerous part of /tg/

It's alright anon. It's all gone now.
>>
>>52773799
>>52776285
? ? ?

The fuck is even going here right now?
>>
>>52776327
Questfag bullshit. Ignore them.
>>
>>52776250
On my external. I'll drop it when I get home.
>>
>>52776343
I thought we built them a containment board. Who left the gate open this time?
>>
>>52776644
>>52749566 did.
>>
>>52776343
Some anon got mad that some other anon did something in a quest. Which we don't have to worry about anymore.

On topic question, I need help with making really terrifying monsters that are hard for the players to fight. So far I used ghouls based off pic related on them, and while I think that a couple of these at a time will make really tense fights based on how I statted them, I want more. Theme is 'creepy as shit underground nazi bunker'.
>>
>>52776659
Diffuse is always fun, especially when you combine it with high ST, Extra Arms with the Long enhancement, Power Grappling, and Wrestling/Judo. Pick people up from across the room and throw them into the opposite wall, leaving a mushy paste to slide down onto the floor. The only thing that will save you is area effect attacks, like molotovs.
>>
>>52776659
Enforce fright checks
Give enemies terror
???
Profit!
>>
File: SCP-096.png (689KB, 739x554px) Image search: [Google]
SCP-096.png
689KB, 739x554px
>>52776659
Forgot the pic.

>>52776697
That's a good idea, I may have to do that if they go to the engine room.

>>52776704
I'm going to introduce fright mechanics next session, but I don't want to be too gamey. The fear of having their character die, paired with the fact that they know I'll do it usually gets the right reaction for me. Also they're all veteran soldiers and at least two are fearless.
>>
>>52776285
>the most cancerous part of /tg/
>It's alright anon. It's all gone now.
But CYOA are still on /tg/, so what the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>52776761
>CYOA are still on /tg/,
UGH pig disgusting
>>
>>52776761
I see no difference between the two, but at least that can be contained in a single thread.
>>
>>52776750
Unless they have no fear at all, fright resistance has a cap. Giving them an Aura that can pass afflictions and the like helps too.
>>
>>52776801
It's pretty simple:
Long-going quests run by write-fags >>>>>> builders by grogs > long-going quests >>> random builders > civ quests >>>>>>>> random quests >>> risk games >>> crusade risk >>>>>>>>>>>> CYOA
>>
>>52776327
Questfag drama.
A dirty Pollack managed to butt-fuck entire builder scene two years ago by running the game and a DMPC in said game, but without telling anyone he's having a DMPC. Then he proceed to wipe out every single PC in the game with said DMPC.
He trolled questfags before it became mandatory 4chan policy.
>>
>>52776856
>long going quests
>good
Litterally the worst type of quests, one off quests were the best type of quests and civ quests were also pretty great.
>>
>>52777771
>Ignoring the most important part of the notion
It's not the length of the quest, but who runs them. That's what creating the actual quality.
>>
>>52777342
Shit nigga. That's pretty funny.
>>
>>52776659
Removing the Brain and Vitals hit locations was enough to make the party sniper shit himself in fear alone. A whirlwind attack that KO'd almost half the party cemented that fear in the rest of them.
>>
>>52778436
Sniper rifles still have higher damage and distance advantage. Also explosive ammo.
The only person who will suffer from that is the tacticool sharpshooter/infiltrator with pistol since headshots is the only way for him to compete with riflemen in damage output.
>>
>>52779084
>Also explosive ammo
Do people actually allow explosive ammo for rounds below .50 cal in a non-UT setting?
>>
>>52779136
During WW2 there were explosive ammo in 7.92x57mm (German) and 7.62x54mm (Russian) calibers.
>>
>>52779429
Technically, incendiary (the germans had WP in theirs, IIRC). The official use was for "observation", kinda like super aggressive tracers. Wicked burns when used a sniper bullet, but I'm not sure it fits the traditional definition of "explosive round" since the purpose of the small explosion was to ignite the phosphorous rather than do damage.
>>
File: Capture.png (390KB, 468x380px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
390KB, 468x380px
>>52779550
Explosion happens when something burn very fast in enclosed space. While those rounds weren't designed for that, they do indeed explode inside human body with quite gruesome results.
https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd3c93d177205966ef3d3c9d
>>
>>52779683
>burn very fast in enclosed space
Not why those rounds explode. All that explosion comes from the high-explosive charge.

Still, as far a GURPS is concerned, I wouldn't treat these bullets as "explosive" in the GURPS sense. As far as anyone besides the target is concerned, this thing is just a firecracker. I'm thinking something like a decreased armor divisor and move damage type one level up (pi+ to pi++ for example) or straight up change it to impaling to account for the increased internal damage.
>>
>>52777840
Agreed, someone who can write and prefferably draw the quest. But long running quests sucked, they flooded the board, if we had a one part only rule for quests i probably would have been fine with them staying.
>>
File: received_1715578168455848.jpg (202KB, 1232x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1715578168455848.jpg
202KB, 1232x2048px
What chu think of my shirt /gurpsgen/
>>
>>52779854
Just because it isn't grenade or cannon shell doesn't mean it isn't explosive.
SAPHE ammo in HT even has mention of using it for observation purpose, so I don't understand why are you so reluctant to treat them as explosive rounds.
>>
>>52780709
Mostly because the explosion is too small to bother using the follow-up explosion rules as presented in HT.

I mean, SAPHE mentions .22 explosive novelty rounds but that doesn't mean I'm going to treat them as explosive in regular combat.
>>
>>52780760
>explosion is so small
What? This shit makes huge (like HUGE) wound that won't be achievable with ordinary big round. It makes perfect sense to use rules for internal explosions rather than just slapping x2 wounding modifier.
>>
>>52781091
>huge (like HUGE)
Don't exaggerate, it makes a larger wound than a regular round of the same caliber but it would be a wound similar to a larger caliber (maybe a 12.7mm or a 20mm), in which case moving from pi to pi++ would make sense.

Now, I'm not sure how much tetryl was in the B patrone but the whole projectile is like 10 grams, so if I'm generous and say that half of that is tetryl (that's probably way too high but what the hell), that gives what, 1 to 8 damage with an x3 modifier if it's inside? To me that seems like not worth the roll when the bullet alone is 7d, with a x2 wounding modifier if it's upgraded pi++ or imp.
>>
>start making character
>alwayd end up with 60+points on disav
How do i make good charbuilding
>>
>>52781765
I usually have the opposite problem of not having enough disads.

I find that focusing on a central concept helps me pick disads. For example an experienced mercenary would have stuff like Greed, Miserliness, Code of Honor, Light Sleeper, etc. and a character that's a drunk depressed fighter got stuff like Alcoholism, Laziness, Dead Broke.

Basically, while advantages and skills make your character effective in the game, while disadvantages give it personality and flavor.
>>
>>52781872
My problem is that I make characters maybe too flawed ie Im building a deranged druid-hermit
>bestial, rage, bully, addiction (hallucinogenics), dead broke, callous
>>
>>52782116
Did you consider to take some of that as quirks instead?
>>
>>52782116
So maybe roll back on the disads? Or try avoiding disads that are similar (bully and callous). Maybe take quirks instead of disads for most of it.

Keep in mind that to qualify for "disadvantage" the flaw has to be pretty severe and may affect play, and you can usually find an equivalent quirk that is much less punishing.
>>
>>52782141
On that note, for disadvantages that allow self-control rolls, it's important to realize what exactly the self-control number translates to. There's an impulse to treat really low self-control numbers as required for representing the flaw as "serious," but remember that anyone can choose to indulge their bad habit but failing the self-control roll REQUIRES them to do so regardless of how severe the consequences will be.

A SC of 15 means you have a problem and it's fairly obvious and well known; a manager with Bad Temper (15) is notorious for their short fuse. A SC of 12 means you indulge basically constantly as far as normal people are concerned; a manager with Bad Temper (12) is going to absolutely fucking lose it at least once a day and is known by anyone at the office to have anger issues, even by those that have never met the dude. A SC of 9 means your flaw basically runs your life; Bad Temper (9) is quickly going to land you in a court-mandated anger management class before you punch out another police house for giving you the stink eye. A SC of 6 is throw-them-in-the-asylum tier, or at the very least you can no longer manage to live on your own and unassisted.

You probably don't know anyone IRL with a disadvantage with an SC of 12 or worse unless they're rocking an official psychiatric diagnosis. No matter how lazy or temperamental or whatever they are, it is unlikely that they let their vices are flaws risk basic daily survival.

>tl;dr take most disadvantaged at (15) if you can, reserve (12) for one core disadvantage, and never take (9) or (6) without a very good reason.
>>
>>52779925
Funny, because everyone complain usually about the one-shot shitty quests that were actually doing the flood (you know, 5 different shit-tier quests going in th same time) than the long-runners.
And if a quest reached more than 10 parts, it by default required to be a decent write-faggot with even better story to keep people invested.
>>
>>52781765
Pick the most "important" disadvs. It's pretty simple. You want to play as mean drunk without an arm - what's more important for the character? That he's mean, drunk or has one arm?

Also, I usually allow higher disadv, but for no points when players seriously need it for their PC. So they have it in their card, they still need to buy if off (if it's even possible), but they've gained 0 points on picking them.
>>
File: rooster.jpg (100KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
rooster.jpg
100KB, 1280x544px
>>52783368
While I don't disagree, I'd say that 12 is survivable for many disadvantages without being too much trouble. Bad Temper (12) means you couldn't hold a job where your buttons get pressed often, but you could still hold a job where people can't fuck with you. A vicious sheriff, prison guard or real asshole teacher could get away with it.

Some mental disadvantages don't trigger very often. Charitable only kicks in when people need help around you and people might think you are a soft hearted fool but you won't think you need to be institutionalized for having it at 9.

Berserk is a really crazy one, as a SL 9 seems far too dangerous..

But unless it's combined with Bad Temper, you only have to roll if you are hit hard or see someone you love take a hard hit. It's dangerous in combat, but in day to day life you could have it without even knowing.

>>52783500
>How about a mean drunk with one eye?

But this is good, solid advice. It's easiest to build a character when you think up some basic idea for what you want to play. Deciding you want to play a young woman with a very complicated relationship with her powerful father can give you ideas for advantages and disadvantages, like Patron, Enemies your father has made and maybe even a Dependent in the form of a younger sibling you feel like you need to watch out for.
>>
>>52784769
Mean drunk with one eye is -30, so I'm not sure it's a good example. Especially since those are the only disadvs you are going to pick anyway.
And your further example is entirely based on GM allowance. Like the first anon said, zero-point disadv is also a thing. You pick them just to have it set in stone something about the character, rather than gaining points above the set limit of whatever was set as a limit
>>
>>52783500
>Pick the most "important" disadvs. It's pretty simple. You want to play as mean drunk without an arm - what's more important for the character? That he's mean, drunk or has one arm?

Another factor is that, since disadvantages are essentially trading "character/player agency" for points, it's not just what's core to the character but what's an acceptable loss to the player.

Some of those trade-offs are more palatable than others - a physical disadvantage is easy to accept as a limitation, but with a mental one, suddenly (to exaggerate a bit) you have to roll to not be a bastard, even if it's not quite how you think the character would be "mean and drunk".

Though of course there's still flexibility in how you act when you fail a roll - and personally, I don't generally call for self-control rolls if the player is already sticking to the character.

But sometimes, you just want to take a Quirk-level version and retain full control of when and how your character's a mean drunk.
>>
All this talk about disadvantages reminds me of an optional rule from, of all places, SJG's daily newsletter. I'll try and pull up the screencap I took of it, but this gist (I THINK) is that instead of getting points back for a disadvantage, you can try to get a bonus to certain tasks a few times a session.
>>
>>52779136
The only reason it might be hard to find explosive ammo in modern setting is because it's fucking forbidden to use it against people. Apart from that if some organisation decided they need high explosive anti werewolf round in pistol caliber then it can be done.
>>
File: 1372444775154.jpg (59KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1372444775154.jpg
59KB, 640x400px
Wants to make (non-hard) Space Opera setting game.
Is UT in details such bad, so i should avoid it (higher than TL9)?
Never worked with materials about TL5 and higher
>>
>>52788615

UT makes some very specific assumptions that don't hold up to scrutiny and break apart at higher TLs, and are only really suitable for very specific settings rather than the universal sourcebook it's meant to be.

If you don't have anything more specific than "Non-hard Space Opera setting" in mind, you'll be fine with TL 9. If you're comfortable with the assumptions they make you can up it to TL10 or TL11 with a few caveats.
>>
File: Map.jpg (844KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
844KB, 1024x768px
>tfw 3 players quit

I am the GM for Interregnum, a Roll20-based GURPS game set in a collapsing empire in medieval times. While it was a text-based game, enough players (former and current) have voiced complaints about it, and now I've moved to a voice format. Anyone willing to take a look can do so here: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70300/gurps-interregnum. The schedule can be negotiated, since it was set when all players could agree on it, and can now be changed. I have 3 spots available and I'm hoping at least 2 will fill up by next week, otherwise I might have to suspend the game until they do.
>>
>>52788986
I'm curious, since I've read through UT before but don't have a strong background in the hard sciences and would not consider myself a futurist, what more specifically are you referring to?
>>
>>52789292
Sad to hear mang.
What was the primary complaint?
>>
>>52784769
On the other hand, such disadvantages can provide a good reason as to why your character is a murderhobo; they can't hold down any other job.
>>52788986
UT was harder to write than people think. Unlike LT or HT, you can't do much of any research for stuff beyond TL 9. Instead you've got to make guesses ("assumptions") that will almost never line up with the guesses of other people. Still UT does a pretty good job for Hard Scifi. For superscience heavy space opera or 70s-80s, nah it will require some fiddle work. But that's because the assumptions of those settings were pretty dated to begin with.
>>
Another UT question for you /gurspgen/. In UT for EMP weapons it says any target within the radius of effect must make an HT-8 (2) resistance roll or suffer the effects.

So my question is, what does the (2) mean in the context of a HT resistance roll? Would it be an armor divisor?

pg 157 UT
>>
>>52789578
Yep. DR adds to HT rolls to resist and the armor divisor cuts that bonus.
>>
>>52789633
>DR adds to HT rolls to resist and the armor divisor cuts that bonus.
Cool.

Would you happen to know what page thats on? Just want to read the rules so I can get some clarification.

BUt to my understanding if someone has DR 10, then they would have a +5 bonus to the HT-8 roll, so making it a HT-3 roll, correct?
>>
>>52789487

The balance between weapon and equipment types is a bit out of whack, and many genres completely lack support. Pulp sci fi for example. And where are the different interpretations on how AI work? How computing power will develop? Personal forcefields and their variations?

By TL 12 beam weapons are easily outperformed by things like $5 antimatter warheads you can fire out of TL9 10mm pistols that kill everything within a 100y radius or so. HEMP warheads are retardedly strong and can be fired from shotguns and up. Armors don't hold up and many options are lacking. All fixable with work of course, but you're cutting down on an already limited list of equipment.

I suppose I'm sounding overly negative, I do use UT fairly regularly myself . It's not a bad book as far as tabletop game books in general go, but as a GURPS book it really isn't up to the high standards one gets so used to.
>>
>>52708161
Just built my first ability using Powers and Basic.

Is this correct?
Is it usable?
Is it overpriced for what it does (the price seems high)?

>Result
Mage Hand [23 pts]
V, S. Lasts until Stop Concentrating.
Range=10 Yards (30ft).
Move objects from a distance. Visible.
ST=TK=Sqrt(5). Lift Basic = ((TK^2)/5) = 1lb; 2lb; 3lb; 6lb; 10lb
Move=TK=8⅓(25ft); 6⅔(22ft); 5(15ft); 3⅓(10ft); 1⅔ (5ft);

>Build notes
Mage Hand - 22.6 pts ((5*Sqrt(5)) + (142% - 40%)) - Telekinesis (B92) Lvl Sqrt(5) (Affects Insubstantial +20%; Somatic Components -10%; Verbal Components - 10%; Visible -20%; Perk (Move+1*(8⅓ - Sqrt(5)) ) 122%)
>>
>>52790131
That's hard to understand. I assume this is putting the D&D spell Mage Hand into GURPS.

Telekinesis with the modifiers Affects Substantial; Accessibility, Requires Gestures; Accessibility, Requires Magic Words; Visible is legal. You need to add Magical onto it, an additional -10%.

I have no idea what you're doing with that perk, or what all the square rooting is for.
>>
>>52790960
The Square Root is to get the same max lift capacity as in D&D.
The "Move, Perk" is because the low max lift in Powers comes with a low move speed.

And good catch on Magical -10%.
>>
Players in my campaign are gonna be part of a secret French monster-hunting organization under Deuxième Bureau. Which names should I choose for Ranks 0-4? Also, what would be the best way to attach a stick of dynamite to an enemy in 1885? Some kind of hand-held harpoon gun? Crossbow?
I also accept some ideas for the organization name.
>>
>>52789494
...That I was using text. The other two just stopped coming.
>>
>>52791050
A harpoon cannon on the back of a wooden cart pulled by a horse.
>>
Has anyone come up with a version of GURPS that is between Ultra-Lite and Lite?
>>
>>52791570
why would someone even want that?
>>
>>52791570
Pointless Looting & Slaying pyramid article.
>>
>>52789783
Page B35, under Affliction
>If you hit, your victim gets a HT+1 roll to resist. Apply a penalty equal to the level of the Affliction (so Affliction 1 gives an unmodified HT roll). The victim gets a bonus equal to his DR unless the Affliction has one of the following modifiers: Blood Agent, Contact Agent, Cosmic, Follow-Up, Malediction, Respiratory Agent or Sense-Based
>>
>>52791374
How about something more hand-held?
>>
>>52792140
A harpoon cannon on a st18 monsterman?
>>
File: chlodwig.png (39KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
chlodwig.png
39KB, 160x160px
>>52789292
One of the remaining players here who preferred text but is willing to make some sacrifices to keep the campaign running; this campaign has potential and I hope to see it succeed, so pls respond.
>>
>>52770973
Only technically. The SM of the moon is 38. The distance gives a -50 penalty, for a net of -12. Seeing things in Plain Sight gives +10, and it being pretty obvious would give a +5 or more, for a net of Per+3. And this is per second, so a failure means you're scanning where you *think* it should be, but it isn't. I think subsequent tries would give a +2 per try simply because there are only so many places where the moon could be in the sky. Trying to find the moon at a certain time of day in a well-known area is an instant success.

Now if it's cloudy, you start to lower the "In Plain Sight" bonus. If it's stormy and the clouds are *really* starting to obscure things, seeing the moon can be quite tough.
>>
>>52792893
Forgot to add: Only if you take the rules extremely literally like some sort of idiot, then yes. Which is what the point of the comic is. Rules can't be perfect, which is why the GM is there to play as the referee.
>>
>>52791570
More like between Lite and Basic. That would be fucking perfect
>>
>>52792815
>>52789292
What was wrong? I was initially interested but time didn't work for me (you guys were like 9am Tuesdays or something for me).

Now of course, voice is kind of a deal breaker. Keeping a headset on for 5 hours and having no log to refer back to sucks.
>>
>>52792140
Sticky bomb, a tin can packed an an adhesive sleeve filled with dynamite and ignited by a friction primer?

Pull out of glue bag, pull string, throw bomb.

Note that this sort of bomb (common in WW2) is kind of a crapshoot. Even with a good throw it might not stick.
>>
>>52791050
Barbed/needled stick bats. Tossing them is nice, but if you impale them with it, and leave it in, it stays in. So really by the extension of pick and arrow logic, anything that does Imp damage that can also payload a stick could potentially work

Otherwise, I vote the Guisarme Terrible be a squad name.
>>
>>52793845
Also
La Petit mort
>>
>>52791174
Whats wrong with text?

Its a bit slow, but I prefer it to voice

poorfag w/o a headset and cave dweller reporting in
>>
>>52770973
Yeah but its sort of realistic because you cant see the moon half the time due to its position in the sky in relation to line of sight blocking terrain such as buildings and mountains/hills.

Would be slightly less realistic if someone was out at see on a clear night.
>>
>>52794467
Some people find it too slow, being unable to blurt shit out

By the by, crappy gamers with no patience cancel on you last minute, and TERRIBLE PEOPLE drop from games without reason.
>>
File: Capture.png (319KB, 589x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
319KB, 589x1117px
>>52768449
Not a full character, but still pretty high.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.