[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime-esque campaigns on roll20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: itas.jpg (45KB, 650x477px) Image search: [Google]
itas.jpg
45KB, 650x477px
This is probably not the place to bitch about it, but I am just damned sick of trying to find games on roll20 that actually play like they're supposed to. More and more frequently over the past two years, the whole anime trend has just bled into the community. It's just sad to me.

Campaigns aren't as serious as they used to be and everybody wants to be some anime clone as their character and the DMs are using the same theme for their NPCs. Just blah.
>>
>>52692100
Just don't join anime games
>>
>>52692100
While you're right that this isn't the best place to complain about anime (prepare for a lot of people denigrating your tastes), I personally agree with you but in a broader sense. In general, media has been blending a lot recently and getting something to feel uniquely distinct from the crowd of media that clamors for our attention is difficult.

The solution, in my eyes, is to play with a specific group of friends and companions whose tastes you share and you can trust to keep the theme you're pursuing. Challenging but worth putting together.
>>
I too used to get upset about other people playing pretend wrong, but then I stopped being eight years old.
>>
>>52692140
Yeah, that makes a great deal of sense. I joined and started playing D&D 5.0 and when it started happening, I jumped into 3.5 because it was more complex and put a lot of newcomers to D&D off trying to learn the rules in reverse order like that.

It was just kind of a pain in the ass because then the "retro" crowd came in and took over. I'm currently looking for a 3.5 game, and just seeing all the avatars made my stomach sick. D&D has always had that Renaissance feel to it, now all the sorcerers are some sort of halfbreed of a dragon Chaotic Evil socerer that giggles at everything. feelsbadman.
>>
>>52692181
I get what you're saying, but the old school crowd is being replaced and it's just difficult to find a group with similar tastes. Sucks getting old.
>>
I'm a massive chuuni faggot but anyone describing their campaign as "anime" is a definite red flag and also probably an entry level fotm pleb.
>>
>>52692100
The easiest patch for that is to run a game yourself and hang a "No weeb shit" sign on the door. It's always been a GM's market with as few as there are, especially on-line. If you're a pick-up player, you need to expect a level of shit you don't like, but as a GM, you can do whatever you like and get a ton of apps.
>>
>>52692429
Any recommended way of doing that without sounding like a pretentious asshole? I'm pretty laid back and I'm down for people doing stupid shit in campaigns, but there is just a fucking limit. Giggledemons that think enchantment spells can automatically seduce a werewolf are that limit.
>>
>>52692460
Nope, just gotta weed shit out over time. Unless you spell it the fuck out for them, people are always gonna push the limits.
>>
>>52692623
What if they try to sneak it in and claim it's from capeshit/cartoon/webcomic when called out?
>>
>>52692748
Kick them if that's not what you want in your games. If you're the GM and you want X and they fight you about it, don't run for them. It's pretty simple. You'll eventually find people who also want X and you can play with them.
>>
>>52692271
Old school like "next to no rules save those for combat, only rulings", "your competencies are your character's competencies", "characters should be developed in the play", "roll 4d6 for each stat, drop lowest" "18/XX str"?
>>
>>52692460
Right, like others are saying, hang out a sign for what you want, ignore apps that don't know how to read. Power Words: gritty, old-school, western fantasy, classic, dungeon-crawling.
Every game posting seems to have apps that completely ignore what you're describing in the top post, so feel no shame about weeding them out.
>>
>>52692460
I mean, you ARE a pretentious asshole, so there's only so much getting around that.

That said, focus on what you want, not what you don't want. "NO WEEB SHIT" is being a pretentious asshole and nothing else. It's entirely, explicitly, and without exception focused on shitting on things you don't like. "I'm looking for a gritty wild west vibe to ye standard medievalish Europeish dungeon crawler game" is technically being a pretentious asshole, but it's entirely and completely focused on what you're trying to accomplish, so it doesn't really come off that way.

Mind, you'll still have to explain that lolidemons do not count as a standard D&D character flavored with wild west grit, but you'll be able to do so by pointing at what you're trying to build, not what you wish were destroyed.
>>
Well, this all makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for the advice everyone.
>>
>>52692100
Oh my God I am dying to play a campaign where people actually act like wester fantasy/medieval characters. I'm a bit younger so all the groups I get act like it's a fucking anime and it's just terrible. Not my thing
>>
>>52692942
Pretty much that, yeah. When I've DMd I've never been really harsh about things, but I have went 100% by the rules.

I had a character last year who wanted to play a ranger. OK, cool.

The character wanted to throw stars as a weapon. OK, cool.

The character wanted smoke bombs. I was pretty hesitant about that, but meh, whatever.

First combat scenerio. Character wanted to throw a smokebomb as a free action to affect the target with daze, do a backflip 20 feet, and throw mid air to avoid the penalty for firing into combat without precise shot because, "They are higher up and wouldn't have as much trouble aiming"

I let it slide about the free action, had them roll jump, and gave them a massive attack penalty behind the screen. I reached out to them on the side about the 3.5 rule set and why there are rules such as firing into combat, and why throwing something at an enemy can't be a free action, and why just taking the attack penalty makes things run more smoothly. They immediately got upset saying I was "nerfing" their character and disbanded the campaign.

This is just one scenerio, but I have many many many more examples.
>>
>>52693623
I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm thinking about bringing this up on the forums soon in the nicest way possible to see what kind of reactions I get. I have a feeling that a good bit of the community is irate about it, but I'm not sure.
>>
Honestly, as a big Japan dork myself, I wouldn't be offended by "No weeb shit." If someone is, yeah, they're an ultraweeb, fuck em.
>>
>>52692100
>trying to find games on roll20
There's your problem.
>>
>>52693740
Do go on, I could use a good laugh. That's some flashy bullshit and while I would like a successful campaign for once I'd want it to be more in tone with something like Slayers or Lodoss War. I just want to relive those experiences with friends and have fun but that's too much to ask.
>>
>join a 5e game from roll20 advertising mid-range campaign length
>odd variety of players
>roll up dwarf druid
>game starts
>immediately one guy begins standing out
>playing a feminine boy with anime token art
>who's length of backstory devotes half to describing being raised among his numerous sisters
>who teased him
>and dressed him up in girl's clothing
>literally references harem living arrangement
>plays homebrew healer class that hurts himself to heal other people
>make notice of it IC
>first thing out of his mouth is "You don't know I'm a boy"
>other players get weirded out after several more of those moments
>game dies after an additional session
>other people had a West Marches
>friends with them ever since
>they added the guy's backstory to a hall of fame that gets busted out every now and again

And that's just with me as a player.
>>
>>52695855
Slayers game would be great, but the problem is you pull the cork and the anime genie comes blasting out of the bottle. You say anime and people think mecha, lolis, tentacle demons, narutos, anything goes.
>>
>>52695855
Honestly you probably want Dungeon Meshi more than you want Slayers or Lodoss War

>Slayers
>Fucking obscenely powered murderhobos leave a literal trail of craters behind them
>Lodoss War
>Players nearly irrelevant in the scheme of various NPC Kings and Gods
>>
>>52692942
>shitting on 4d6 drop the lowest and not 3d6 for each stat down the line then picking a class
>>
>>52697028
I remember hearing about that but I never got around to looking into it myself.

>>52696975
I thought about looking into roll20 until I remembered people like this are all over the place.
>>
I use Fire Emblem pics as char art and imagine most games I'm in in anime art style but otherwise adhere to genre conventions of whatever game I'm in, how degenerate am I?
>>
>>52697174
Dungeon Meshi is a manga, not an anime but it has a very old-school megadungeon feel to it. Good characterization, zany D&D party shenanigans, and fine dungeon cuisine.

It's also free of the cringy stuff non-weebs think of when they think anime, like MMO fashion, fanservice, 65 million year old lolis(male) and so on. I'd have no reservations about lending copies to my 60-year old father to read- I think it would have fit right in to the back pages of Dragon Magazine.

Definitely not just another piece of forgettable schlock, that's for sure.
>>
>>52697196
OP's probably in the shower scrubbing himself down with lye having read that.
>>
File: rogue.jpg (419KB, 788x1006px) Image search: [Google]
rogue.jpg
419KB, 788x1006px
>>52692100
You could also GM a game and state that you will only allow for certain styles of drawing/art for character avatars.

That's what I usually do when I GM: I ask my players
>Alright guys, what kind of art do you want to go with?
>I would prefer it if we could keep only one artstyle or very similar ones in order to keep the game consistent in that regard.

Pic related is what I used last time
>>
File: gold homer.gif (179KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
gold homer.gif
179KB, 375x375px
>>52697459
>spend hours and hours trawling through every single art site known to man
>not a single drawn image by any human ever isn't anime trash
what now faggot?
>>
>>52697680
I did play in that one simpsons campaign
>>
>>52692271
>>52693740

Have you considered "actual" old-school D&D? >>52687443
>>
>>52692181
This of course.

>>52692100
But seriously OP, stop being forever-player and make something awesome happen and start a trend.
>>
File: elves fear the samurai.jpg (76KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
elves fear the samurai.jpg
76KB, 400x577px
>>52692100
>the whole anime trend has just bled into the community
What is anime? What does anime mean? Not the actual media (Japanese animation) but the "anime trend"; the "weeb trash"?
>>
>>52692100
Man, I'm a huge fuckin weeb that has like thousands of hours logged in both anime and RPGs, but I have never seen any of these 'anime games' you're talking about. Someone should let me know where all this supposed badwrongfun is being had so I can get a slice.
>>
File: 1490976041514.jpg (125KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
1490976041514.jpg
125KB, 637x476px
I don't really know what you are getting at here OP.
Unless the characters have Japanese names and start blasting kamehamehas I don't know how you can even tell since fantasy and anime have way more in common than you would like to admit.
Who is to say the bitch playing the sexy fairy isn't just a skank looking for attention?
Who is to say the backflipping katana wielding drow isn't just a Drzzt fan or an edgelord?
Sounds to me like you just want a generic serious campaign like you remember them and anime is just a convenient scapegoat.
Unfortunately for you people are pretty bored of the whole sword and sorcery thing nowadays so they try to spice it up with more humor and flash which doesn't always work out.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.