[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Amonkhet Gods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 36

So what do we think their abilities are going to be? Obviously they will be indestructible, but what else? How big and how bad?

Also, reminder:
Cat Woman = White
Crocodile Dundee = Black
Jacket Ding Donghae = Red
Birdman = Blue
Snakester = Green
>>
File: 1472713253868.jpg (373KB, 1198x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1472713253868.jpg
373KB, 1198x1228px
WWWWWOOOOOAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>52495024
White's mechanic seems to be embalm. All creatures in the graveyard have embalm would be pretty good for the cat.
>>
>>52495090
Every embalm creature has a matching token, so that wouldn't work
>>
So far we know a few things about the gods.

White god's name is Oketra and referred to as Oketra the True.
Red god's name is Hazoret.
Green god's name is Rhonas and he's the god of strength.

Also, the big city of Amonkhet is called Naktamun.
>>
>>52495024
It depresses me that I had at any point thought they might be something more than mono-colour.

I guess anything more complex than that is too hard for babbies to get.
>>
>>52495024
Do we at least know who the currently reigning pharaoh is? I want at least one legendary creature with that type. That and cats. Lots of them.

And why does the snake god have a stave similar to Avacyb? is there a connection?
>>
>>52495132
They're also making a little embalm punch out token so it might.
>>
>>52495235
>Do we at least know who the currently reigning pharaoh is?
Bolas.

>And why does the snake god have a stave similar to Avacyb?
The creative team being out of ideas as per usual.
>>
>>52495036
Am i the only other person who's mind was blown by that vengeful Pharoah thing?
>>
File: we wuz dragonz.jpg (376KB, 1198x1228px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz dragonz.jpg
376KB, 1198x1228px
>>52495036

Fixed it
>>
>>52495024
Is it bad I want them all to be constructed gods, so they are colored artifacts
>>
>>52497083
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>52497083
AYO, HOL UP
>>
>Egyptian god of the dead is a jackal
>"Yeah, this jackal god is totally gonna be red you guys"
>>
Was really hoping they'd be shards coloured. I want to play esper in standard
>>
>>52498117

Isn't Anubis just the guardian of the dead, while Osiris is the actual god of the Afterlife? Plus, there's another Jackal/Wolf god called Wepwawet who is the god of victory. When somebody passes the trials they are personally killed by this Red Jackal to be sent to the afterlife.

So it kinda makes sense.
>>
What are the chances Standard becomes better?
>>
EGYPTIAN GOD CARDS
They actually did it the absolute madmen
>>
File: IMG_7141.jpg (71KB, 860x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7141.jpg
71KB, 860x483px
>>52498330

Her name is Hazorat.

http://m.imgur.com/a/rip5M
>>
>>52498330
Still, though, Anubis is more closely associated with black than any other animal-headed god, as far as I know.
>>
>>52496432
Probably. Both of those things were pointed when the cards were released.
>>
>>52498330
Anubis isn't even a jackal.
>>
>>52498608

Right, he's actually a wolf, right?
>>
I figured it out

>trial of 5 gods is a scam
>the "gods" are just puppets who appear to embody good traits
>bolas uses the trials to weed out any competitors and ensure he still reigns supreme
>>
>>52498608
He is. You're thinking of Set.
>>
>>52498485
>this is horrifying to the Gatewatch
How much time will we still having the power ranger magic meme?
>>
>>52497083

WE WUZ
>>
>>52499352

Until 2-4 years after the Magic the Gathering movie bombs horribly.
>>
>>52499363
ELDER DRAGONS AND SHIEET
>>
>>52499254
I really doubt he's going to find anything that could put up a fight against him. He's the probably the strongest living 'walker all things considered.
>>
>>52499464
Reminder that the movie is produced by Brian Goldner who also produced such undeniable classics as Ouija: Origin of Evil and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and Simon Kinberg who as both producer and writer was responsible for giving us the 2015 reimagining of Fantastic Four.

It's also written by Brian Cogman, some random dude known for nothing other than penning a few episodes of Game of Thrones and who has suddenly been given the responsibility to write several fantasy-themed Hollywood movies currently in the works because of it.
>>
>>52499352
How long did the Weatherlight last? Like, ten years?
About that long.
>>
>>52499773
Six years. The current characters have been around for almost twice as long even though the Gatewatch story just started.
>>
>>52499663

Why couldn't they just do a Netflix series? The big thing MtG has going for it is the different planes, and a series would be able to explore the Multiverse much better than a movie could.
>>
>>52500403
>a series would be able to explore the Multiverse much better than a movie could.
Gatewatch pretty much got rid of that aspect of the story, so even if they did try something on Netflix, I doubt they could pull it off.
>>
>>52499304
>Archeologists identified the sacred animal of Anubis as an Egyptian canid, that at the time was called the golden jackal, but recent genetic testing has caused the Egyptian animal to be reclassified as the African golden wolf.
>>
>>52496432
I didn't catch it either, so only tryhards and super magic lorefags who have been keeping up with the shitty story for the past few years would put two and two together.
>>
I wish the King of Games was a new walker in this set.
>>
>>52500506

Christ, your salt is unbearable.

Gatewatch has only been a thing for 3 and a half stories, and we have gotten brand new planes in 2 of them. Gatewatch hasn't killed the exploration aspect any. It just gave us a recurring cast to do the exploring for a while.
>>
>>52500868
>BFZ: Rehash plane, focus only on Gatewatch/Eldrazi.
>SOI: Rehash Plane, focus only on Gatewatch/Eldrazi and a little bit of angels/humans shit.
>Kaladesh: New plane! Focus on Gatewatch (Chandra) and mostly one city.
I'm not salty, I'm just saying it's pretty silly to expect meaningful exploration of Planes when we've got the Jacetice League taking center stage.
>>
>>52500868
Gatewatch Jacestice League fag detected.

It's amazing that some people still defend the decision that WotC made to create this ragtag team of shit stains. I hope Bolas melts all of them, personally. I hope he grinds them up and turns them into a, into a jelly.
>>
>>52498485
I really only sympathize with the gatewatch here sense we haven't actually seen any sign of this afterlife. From their perspective these people are getting tricked into suicide sense they have yet to see the afterlife.
It would be nice to have the afterlife Bolas promises to actually be real so there is some moral conflict between the gatewatch and Bolas.
>>
>>52500985
"Since"

And I agree it would be interesting if there was an afterlife such as the one Bolas claims to bring, but knowing Bolas, this is all part of some master scheme he planned from the very beginning. He just wants to get them all together to probably kill them together. Or try to.
>>
>>52500985
The little flavor we have gotten so far states specifically that it's the possibility of Bolas' afterlife being real that the Gatewatch fears.
>>
>>52500985
The souls of those people are definitely being mashed into elder dragon energy drinks.
>>
>>52501060
Source?

Judging drom >>52498485 , I was under the impression that they are horrified by it because Bolas is putting thousands I'd not millions to their deaths, either to raise them as an undead army or to ignite planeswalkers' sparks and raise them as his own. Basically brainwash them.
>>
>>52501060
I think it's more that they are horrified by the prospect that the purported afterlife comes along with Bolas's return.
>>
>>52498485
>And the people here are HAPPY
IS THAT A HOMOSEXUAL COUPLE I SEE THERE
>>
File: snek boi.png (163KB, 331x244px) Image search: [Google]
snek boi.png
163KB, 331x244px
This is going to be a G rare with a shitty version of Glimpse of nature stapled to it, calling it.
>>
So, are we getting more spoliers tomorrow?
>>
>>52495191
Eh, I'm kinda excited. After the disappointing theros gods, I'm ready for praetor 2 non-phyrexia edition.
>>
Is there going to be a black/red/blue bolas deck?
>>
>>52501355
Yes
>>
>>52500950
Doesn't that have less to do with which characters we're following and a lot more to do with how those planes were really popular and people wanted to return to them very much?
>>
>>52501368
Image of bolas is on Hour of Devastation packs, so most likely we wont see him until then
>>
>>52501392
It's a little of both I think.
Ideally the shock of how much these popular Planes have changed would be the hook, but instead all we get is some wacky Eldrazi shenanigans that are quickly solved by the Gatewatch, which seems to go against the 'all powerful' eldritch nature of the Eldrazi.
>>
>>52501544
That's more a gripe about the execution rather than the fact that we haven't seen new planes "because of the Gatewatch".
>>
>>52501566
Well you're right about poor execution, but I wasn't arguing that we're not seeing new planes because of Gatewatch, more that the planes that we visit aren't as interesting because everything is colored by the Gatewatch's involvment which so far, hasn't been too great I think.
>>
>>52501288
>cat, snek, burd
Goddamnit Snekgod would have been great if he was Bant
>>
>>52501624
>Well you're right about poor execution
I didn't say anything about the execution.

But I do see that the sets are very "story focused". Although I felt the original Kaladesh block wasn't as stifled as people say it is. We saw tons of stuff that wasn't at all relevant to the story, a lot of it was in Ghirapur but there was a lot of cards (particularly green ones) describing some outland stuff that never once appeared or was mentioned in the official story but was still there and present.
>>
>>52495024
If we do get a Black Green one, it's definitely going to be top-tier or a pile of Shit. There is no in-between.
>>
>>52499773
>>52499819
More like 3 to 4 years.
>>
>>52501060

I think Amonkhet is a Planeswalker factory. Only one in a million souls has a spark, and only a handful of those ignite. Bolas created Amonkhet to force otherwise dormant sparks to ignite. Then he keeps the useful Planeswalkers and absorbs the power from the sparks of the ones he considers expendable.
>>
>>52495024
>Crocodile Dundee = Black
>Jacket Ding Donghae = Red
Wrong ya dingus.
>>
>>52502146
No, that's correct. The fact that people still don't realize that Wizards spoiled them in WUBRG order is fucking mindnumbing.
>>
I was gutted when it turned out Embalm wasn't instant speed. Why can't we have nice things in magic?
>>
>>52501771
I really don't get why BG gets better vindicate-esqu effects then BW.
>>
>>52502444
Vindicate is much older than Maelstrom Pulse.
Hitting lands is a trade-off.
>>
>>52502146
Are you trolling?
Check the art on vindicate and malestorm pulse invocations
>>
>>52495024
Cat = White
Crocorock = Green
Jackhole = Red
Snek = Black
Tote = Bwoo
>>
>>52502604
No.
>>
>>52502035
This
>>
>>52502035
>>52495036
Damn. Not-egypt plane sounds cool on paper, but this makes it sound even better.
>>
>>52495036
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSU4SBrNJU
>>
>>52502035
Any chance we going to have some sort of egyption themed evil counter part gate watch?
>>
>>52502035
This sounds so cool that I think it's guaranteed that wizards won't do this.
>>
>>52503527

Doubt it. We already know two of the 4 Amonkhet set Planeswalkers are Gideon and Liliana, and one of the two Hour of Devestation walkers is Bolas himself.

I predict one of the two remaining Amonkhet walkers will be a native walker whose spark ignited before taking the trials and has an understanding the true nature of the Multiverse rather than being a Bolas puppet, and the other will be a Bolas made Walker. No idea who the second Walker in Devastation will be.
>>
>>52503942
An even worse version of Tibs?

RRR
+1 draw a card, discard two cards at random.
-3 Deal damage equal to the number of cards in your hand to a random creature or planeswalker
-8 draw your deck, discard all cards but one at random. Put your hand into your library in a random order.
>>
>>52498485
So it's another plane the size of Delaware?
>>
>>52504270
The plane is probably bigger than that, but we won't get to see much more than a single city, and it's likely that there's not much more to civilization than the one city that Bolas bothers to protect.
>>
>>52504464
this reminds me of how concentrated Kaladesh block was.
How convenient for design....
>>
>>52502035
They've already DONE a "planeswalker-factory-for-harvesting" story on Mirrodin, do we really need to have that plot point rehashed instead of something new?

I hope the "afterlife" he promises is actually real and he later uses his planeswalker powers to call personal armies out of it on demand like warriors descending from Valhalla.
>>
>>52504631
Mirrodin wasn't a planeswalker factory. Memnarch wanted to put life on Argentum and later said "Man, I really want a spark. Oh hey, that elf chick has one! Imma take it!"
>>
>we don't like these people's cultures and beliefs
>better fuck their shit up
>>
>>52498485
Why does the writing make me want to kill myself?
>>
File: Amonkhet-Art-03.jpg (112KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Amonkhet-Art-03.jpg
112KB, 1200x900px
>>52502146
>The one surrounded by undead isn't the black god
>>
>>52504660
>What are the Levelers
>>
>>52504672
Most people in the real world feel that way about stuff like child marriages, honor killings, stonings, and pederasty.

A good rule of thumb is that if Bolas wants something, it's probably in the rest of the multiverse's interest that he not get it.

We don't know what he's using the souls of these people who willingly give their lives in his name for, but it's probably nothing good.

I actually hope the gatewatch get absolutely curbstomped by Bolas this set. The dude is an oldwalker dragon who's had all the time in the world to prepare for the meddling of others. He's not a mentally unstable whiner like Nahiri or Sorin, Bolas is a stone cold manipulator and besides Yawgmoth one of the closest things the setting has to a lucifer figure.

The only one of them that should be seen as a threat by him is Ajani, who isn't a raging moron and actually didn't even want to come to Amonkhet without backup. Catbro should get a massive I-Told-You-So moment and save them from getting their assess beat.

Then they can go grab Elspeth out of the underworld and break Sorin out of a rock and maybe then see about fighting bolas
>>
>>52502146
>Jackal is in all the red invocations and is referenced in red flavour text.

>Crocodile is in the black invocations.

But geez, maybe it's the other way around.
>>
>>52504938
I personally wish that Hour of Devastation has the Gatewatch last-ditch Planeswalking in random directions to escape from getting murdered by Bolas.
Then we could get a cool block or two about them landing in random new (or old!) planes, finding allies there, and then regrouping to confront Bolas properly.
This, of course, sounds too cool so I know it'll never happen.
>>
>>52504938
Don't you think Ugin might want a part in giving Bolas an unusually bad day?
>>
>>52505161
The gatewatch could be useless city this time and Ugin/Sorin would be the only dynamic duo able to save the day. but Sorin will only do it if there's something for him to take home...

Could be nice.
>>
If there isn't a cycle of human soldiers called, in order,
>Serpent Guard
>Jackal Guard
>Cat Guard
>Crane Guard
>Crocodile Guard

and thus preventing me from making my 5 colour Planar Bridge deck, I'm going to be absolutely furious
>>
>>52501288
That isn't the snake God, just compare the pictures for a damn second.

>>52495024

That's just an awesome snake guy
>>
File: 4uk42rf10doy.png (189KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
4uk42rf10doy.png
189KB, 265x370px
>>52502146

This fucking guy
>>
>>52505260

Ugin vs Bolas has been pretty interesting to me.

Bolas did beat him on his own turf, but I notice the dragon was a lot more...careful taking on Ugin than he normally is. For one thing, he set up before Ugin knew to be on guard for him and initiated the battle as an ambush only after he had a minion in place that could stop Ugin from dragonstorming him to death.

It was good tactics, which is par the course for Bolas and one of many reasons I don't think the Gatewatch can beat him, but it also implied to me that Bolas did not think he could take Ugin on mano a mano and win.

I might be reading a little bit too much into that, since it's equally likely that Bolas was just hedging his bets because fighting Ugin on his home turf put the odds in his favor, but either Bolas couldn't lure him away or was taking advantage of the fact Ugin would never expect to be attacked in his seat of power.
>>
>>52506451
How DID Bolas kill Ugin? I only know what Crux of Fate shows, mainly that it happened and Sarkhan changed that.
>>
>>52506852

Bolas turned the Khan of the Temur into one of his agents beforehand and had her hide near the ambush site. He and Ugin went toe-to-toe, but Ugin basically cast Dragonstorm at him to summon a shitload of dragons to try and finish Bolas off. Yasova was brought in to counter this by using creature-controlling magic to turn Ugin's dragon horde against him, and Bolas dealt the fatal blow to the wounded Ugin.

Sarkhan, travelling back in time, was able to use a bit of hedron he'd been carrying around to create a cocoon around the mortally wounded Ugin and allow him to survive but be in a coma for thousands of years. Sorin's arrival in the present day allowed Ugin to awaken in the future, where Bolas's evil is LAW.
>>
>>52506451
I think that Bolas could possibly take Ugin on in a straight up fight and win, but the chance of losing, or even suffering a pyrrhic victory is too high.
>>
>>52500868
t. WOTC Internet Defense Force
>>
>>52505315
>but Sorin will only do it if there's something for him to take home...
Or if he ever remembers that he's a planeswalker and thus entirely able to get out of an enclosed space such as a rock.
>>
>>52504707
So since the dead don't stay dead in Amonkhet, does Dundee just keep them from being depressed sacks of shit about being zombies?
>>
>>52507777
Nice quints but it was explained in the story that the stone is constantly jabbing him, and jabbing rocks distract you from planeswalking
>>
>>52502035
but there's 6 new planeswalkers per block now. Planeswalkers are already becoming the most common tribe on every plane.
>>
File: nier_savage.jpg (112KB, 823x824px) Image search: [Google]
nier_savage.jpg
112KB, 823x824px
>>52495036
Hell fucking no I'm so impressed by that
>>
>>52501167
Isn't "I have not committed homosexuality" one of the things you have to say in order to go to the afterlife?
>>
>>52500868
>Gatewatch has only been a thing for 3 and a half stories

Lorwyn launched in 2007. Bradywalkers will have been a thing for a full-on decade by the end of this year.
>>
>>52508423
...Bradywalkers?
>>
>>52505161
This would work, if WotC liked good (or at least halfway decent) ideas

>Jace goes back to Ravnica, tries to convince Ral Zarek to help
>Nissa, Chandra on two new planes meets a new walkers
>Gids back to Theros to free Elspeth
>Liliana to Dominaria and recruits someone

Probably not exactly like this, because I have terrible ideas, but something similar. A couple new planes, a couple old planes, a couple walkers we've seen before, and a couple new walkers. Five blocks with new simultaneous storylines. Could turn out to be interesting.
>>
>>52507852
That's stupid.
>>
>>52508423
>Nissa cemented herself as an interdimensional class fuckup in 2010
>the focus shifted almost entirely to planeswalkers by the GOD FUCKING AWFUL WHY WAS THIS EVEN A THING city maze race in 2013
>the Jacetice League reared it's bland, ugly, plot powered head in 2016

>since then they have killed 2 cosmic horrors and the story's stakes via [plot]
>had an actually alright cosmic horror story
>ruined a Red vs White story by making it JL vs Tezz
>>
>>52508615

Well, it makes sense if the newest depiction of planeswalking are canon in that last story.

Turns out you need to actually concetrate for at least a minute or so to sync with the aether to planeswalk.

The question is: Why is Sorin such a pansy that he can't withstand some rock poking is immortal body for a few minutes so he can planeswalk?

Is planeswalking like a videogame spell and if you get interrupted during the casting animation, it gets cancelled?
>>
>>52508521
Just another name for the nu-walkers. Named for Brady Dommermuth, the guy at Wizards that came up with them.

>>52508836
And people say Gerrard and co. overstayed their welcome.
>>
>>52508922
Thus why it's stupid. It's super easy to blot out a single repetitive action, even if it's staggered or at odd angles. Sorin literally just has to fall asleep and then wake up again, and he'll be desensitized enough to make the jump.
>>
>>52504464
>it's likely that there's not much more to civilization than the one city that Bolas bothers to protect.

what are lazy writers?
>>
>>52508922
>Is planeswalking like a videogame spell and if you get interrupted during the casting animation, it gets cancelled?

I'm by no means a lore expert, but it is WotC, so they could be channeling a bit of D&D in this case. Planeswalking could be considered casting a spell, which means if you're under duress, requires a Concentration check. The DC could be too high for Sorin to pass even on a 20. (Like, Sorins Concentration skill has a total modifier of +14, the DC is set to 35, so even if he rolls a 20, it's still 1 short of sucess). I mean, if I was designing this stuff, I would want to codify at least some stuff to stay internally consistent.
>>
File: dogg.jpg (12KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
dogg.jpg
12KB, 220x220px
>>52507777
>>52507852
>>52508951
>Nahiri demonstrates extremely excessive leyline manipulation via her lithomancy
>THEY DIDN'T EXPLAIN IT AS A LEYLINE TRAP WITHIN THE STONE HOLDING SORIN IN PLACE

It writes itself and they still fucked it up.
>>
>>52495036
He wuz kingz and shit
>>
>>52509106
>Planeswalking could be considered casting a spell, which means if you're under duress, requires a Concentration check
Unless of course it's triggered instinctively, because of sudden duress or trauma, like in the case of how every planeswalker's spark ignites in the first place.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_pTiNlDVXTS.jpg (71KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_pTiNlDVXTS.jpg
71KB, 850x500px
>>52509098
In this case I honestly find it equally likely that they're trying to channel a bit of Dune what with the giant sandwurms and so on.
>>
>>52495024
Holy fuck these look so stupid. NuMagic was a mistake.
>>
>>52509168
I'm guessing they want anyone to be able to pull that staked to a plane. Kind of fits happening to Sorin, though. Cause he's a vampire (except the stake was stone, not fresh wood).
>>
>>52498485
Sounds very ethnocentric of the Gatewatch.
>>
>>52504631

Why not both? Amonkhet is a Planeswalker factory where those who die go to the afterlife and serve a a planer defense system from inner-planer threats, while those who's spark ignite lead the Worthy Dead as commanders, traversing the multiverse doing recon on potential threats.

>Phyrexians start invading other planes
>Amonkhet is one of the first
>foreseeing this, Bolas activates the defense system, calling the souls of the best in Amonkhet to fight
>Bolas's armies of the damned vs near infinite unspeakable Phyrexian horrors
>>
>>52497083
fucking kek
>>
Inb4 Ash barrens in standard
Inb4 the bolas Walker has some sort of whack reanimation ult or a token generators rather than sweet ultimate power
Inb4 the new cycle of Gods are hexproof instead of indestructible because they're actually illusions created by bolas
>>
>>52510861

Hexproof is never coming back
>>
>>52510918
Bastion Inventer, Blossoming Defence, Bristling Hydra, Heroic Intervention, Padeem, Consul of Invention are all just from the last block.
shroud is never coming back
>>
>>52510918
Hexproof is on the same once every once in a while policy as protection though used slightly more frequently and pretty much only conditionally and temporarily.
>>
>>52510918
what? Is hexproof too good for new players now too?
>>
>>52510946
Permanent hexproof proved to lead to bad gameplay, unhealthy formats, and too potent threats. It's currently rolled back to mostly working until EOT.
>>
File: souls.jpg (128KB, 1280x902px) Image search: [Google]
souls.jpg
128KB, 1280x902px
As this art makes clear, Nico bolas has been doing some soul collecting it seems. It makes me wounder if we'll see some cards like Tuktuk where you got a spell bomb that when you crack gets you a legendary creature.
>>
>>52499254
I prefer the theory from another thread, that the trials are meant to create the best people possible, and to get them to hopefully trigger the Spark when they get their "worthy death" that happens at the end of the trials.

He then either studies the newly Sparked walkers, or puts them into his service, or kills them. Or some variation of all three.
>>
>>52508304
According to who? If that's the case those men certainly didn't get the memo when they dedicated their shared tomb to gayness.
>>
>>52511357
Ok, I am kinda befundled why almost all art depicts the human portion of amonkhets population as nubian/black and not autochtonous egyptian/phoenician like.
Hell ill even take romanesque humans or arabs before this lügenpresse
>>
>>52495024
>>52495090

Allright folks!
i think i have a super strong clue on what the gods might be doing.

EMBALM
> so it's a ZOMBIE in addition to whatever creature types it used to have. You'll find lots of ways to take advantage of its new Zombiehood... it's white instead of whatever color it used to be. One more minor change is that it doesn't have the mana cost the card has.

Embalm is a trainwreck of exceptions. Why would they make it white if they already have it become a zombie for the purpose of developing tribal cards for embalm? They don't like making things complex for no reason:my speculation is that Gods will care about creatures( or permanents) of their color and the white one will like embalmed creatures.

there is indeed another hint at what the gods do: in the art we've seen so far they are surrounded by their followers, and we know that they oversee their godly trials, so it sounds like a flavorful intuition to suspect that they empower, are empowered by, or will want creatures of their own color to do certain things.
>>
>>52508581

>lilian goes to dominaria

comes back with Urza
>>
>>52512511
>comes back with Urza
>Urza takes control of Amonkhet and continue whatever research Nicol Bolas was doing
>>
>>52512547

>urza happens to discover Newrexhia and becomes Father of the Machines
>>
>>52512562
>Magic becomes great again
>>
>>52511174
>bad gameplay
>hexproof

hey i found R&D!
>>
>>52512679
Up until hexproof was reigned in /tg/ did nothing but complain about how it was the worst keyword and was one of the major culprits behind Creatures: the Tappening.
>>
>>52502035
Didn't it say in the recent story that this is the plane where Bolas' servant's came from? It would be weird if they didn't have sparks to get off the plane.
>>
>>52497191
Yes. I want Mirroshits to leave
>>
>>52512450
I thought Embalm was just "create a token that's a copy of this creature except it's a zombie in addition to its creature types"
>>
>>52513002

The only two embalm creatures we've seen are white... so we don't know yet.
>>
>>52495191
Yeah there's not much more boring than the old on x per colour/combination. Cycles are neat at the card level but at the lore level it's pretty offputting.
>>
File: 1491088456528.png (302KB, 458x274px) Image search: [Google]
1491088456528.png
302KB, 458x274px
>>52495191
All these multicolor cards every block are spoiling people. Back in the day we used to have sets without a single gold card. And we liked it.
>>
>>52513061
We do know, because they said so in the article in which they introduced it and we've seen the reminder text. All embalmed creatures are copies of the original creature except they are white, are zombies in addition to their other types, and have no CMC.
>>
>>52513127
back then gold cards are special.

also, where are spoilers? rrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
I'm glad the gods are monocolored, EDH shitters need to stop forcing their special needs into every set.
>>
>>52512328
Because autochthonous egyptian/phoenicians aren't buying Magic cards.
>>
>>52512328
WotC is an American company, mostly concerned with selling their product in America, to Americans, and their market research has shown that Americans on average only buys fantasy if it represents current American ethnicities and, in particular, their own.
>>
>>52511357
>>52512328
right one is a nigger, left one is an arab. i think.
>>
>>52505315
Sorin is probably done. He essentially told the other walkers to go fuck themselves before Nahiri sealed him away.
>>
>>52513212
Spoilers in 2 hours and 10 mins, my autista.
>>
>>52513236
>implying monocolor EDH isn't the best EDH
>>
>>52513516
>Implying any edh is good
>>
>>52513516
It's shit
2 color EDH a best
>>
post yfw the gods become shards during HoD
>>
>>52513548
Can confirm, W/U here
>>
>>52513548
Monocolor, colorless, and domain EDH is for janky wincons and theme decks. The rest are for less janky wincons and theme decks
>>
>>52513621
I would love this
>>
File: 1486965311025.jpg (163KB, 720x747px) Image search: [Google]
1486965311025.jpg
163KB, 720x747px
>>52513621
i know it's never going to happen though
and that makes me deeply depressed
>>
>>52513702
MonoX usually ends up as a boring gimmick/mono-thematic deck, with another color you have a lot more strategies to work with and a lot more jank to fit in
>>
Maybe madness?
>>
>>52514074
This card sucks so much ass
>>
>>52498485
HE'S HARVESTING THEIR SPARKS AAAAAHHH
>>
>>52514074
Source?
>>
>>52514074
How the fuck is this even mythic? I'd prefer devotion over throwing away card advantage.
>>
>>52514074
>Jackal waifu is shit

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now I have to settle for the cat who potentially could be even worse
>>
>>52514074
Do you guys think all the gods will have a condition like that before they get to attack?
What do you think they'll be?
>>
>>52514392
Given MaRo's article today, in some fashion yes.

They were trying to keep the "gods are creatures conditionally" without it being copy/paste devotion.
>>
>>52514134

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03
>>
>>52514392
Confirmed they all have a condition to let them attack/block. That's their downsides

I think green will be controlling enough creatures/big enough creatures
White will be high enough life total?
Black will be something died that turn/opponent hand is small enough?
Blue will be have a big enough hand?
>>
>>52513282
Well shit
>>52513330
Why would they implement kaladesh then,its india in space no one wanted
>>52513417
Thats why i said almost everyone is black
>>
>>52502604
disproven, lol
>>
>>52514448
I hope not all of them are this bad, I guess Hazoret could be fit into an aggro deck or something that dumps their hand quickly but she seems very uninteresting to me.
>>
>>52514448
Nope. the white one doesn't have any restrictions.
>>
>>52514628
How do you know?
>>
>>52514725
dunno if this is real or not >>52513986
>>
>>52514750
>multi colored
>no second keyword
>cat god while hazoret is just god
>no condition
Looks very fake
>>
>>52514784
Yeah most probably, and the two cards in front of it are also cards spoiled before.
disregard what i said then.
>>
Could madness become a tier 1 standard with the support in amonkhet?
>>
Weren't they supposed to spoil all 5 gods today?
>>
File: en_fz9045jzQI[1].png (187KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_fz9045jzQI[1].png
187KB, 265x370px
black god called Bontu, is the god of ambition
>>
File: en_NjMBuAVB2Y.png (186KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_NjMBuAVB2Y.png
186KB, 265x370px
>>52514074

>The shitty egyptian font makes it read like "Hazoret, the Pervert"

Giant waifu, please, not like this.
>>
>>52514925
I can not unsee this now
>>
>>52514822
The day is still young.
>>
File: 1491233409398.png (355KB, 551x454px) Image search: [Google]
1491233409398.png
355KB, 551x454px
I don't know what to do with this information
>>
>>52515911

Zulaport cutthroat and you have a infinite damage/heal exploit
>>
>>52497191
The past two sets weren't enough?
Artifice is cancer
>>
>>52515911
new modern combo deck?
>>
>>52515911

WAIT. No. See, the bloatfly effect only triggers if the card gets to the graveyard and Nest of Scarabs makes tokens, which don't go in the graveyard.

So, you can't have infinite dead bugs with just these 2 cards
>>
>>52516117
Tokens do go to the graveyard, they just disappear as soon as they hit. The combo still works.
>>
File: 8a4.jpg (145KB, 457x459px) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
145KB, 457x459px
>>52516117
>Tokens don't go to the graveyard
>>
>>52516203
>>52516262

Yup, my bad. So, the Zulaport strat should work then.
>>
>>52516003
Two cards for infinite death triggers by turn 4. Unfortunately the combo needs a third card to get started and a way to use infinite death triggers. I could see this working with a gameplan that's already using counters or if there's a card thar gets the chain started and can make use of it, but it looks pretty grim.
>>
>>52514074
Shave 1 off her discard ability and she'd be fringe playable, shave 2 off and she'd be good, make it free and she'd be amazing.
>>
>>52516393
Fume Spitter, Glistening Oil, Chainbreaker, Contagion Clasp, Scarscale Ritual, Virulent Wound all look like good cards to start the chain. It's a pretty janky combo though you need 3 cards to get the infinite feath triggers started and then another card to actually use it.
>>
>>52504707
zombies are confirmed in white and black so far, they might be in all colors.
>>
>>52516766
Her ability would be insane if it were free.
>>
>>52516766
>make it free
Fucking madman
>>
>>52515911
Altar of the brood
>>
>>52501288

>welcome to japari park
>>
>>52503527
I fucking hope so, I've been waiting for Jacetice League's Legion of Doom for a while
>>
>>52514376
>White
>Ever being worse at anything compared to Red
>>
>>52514074
Fuck thats bad
>>
>>52514862
Damn thats nice with Black Sun's Zenith.
>>
>>52519525
not is is not
>>
>>52519574
why not?
>>
Anyone else think this is good Limited fodder? 5/4 haste for 3G can easily be brought out by turn 3 and the -1/-1 counter isn't much of an issue depending on how you built your deck.
>>
>>52519717
A hasty 4/3 for 3g is still a beating though the 3 toughness can be easily traded.
>>
>>52519644
He's wrong. Spell resolves and counters get placed which in turn triggers the Scarabs.
>>
>>52514074
Absolute trash. This really beings down my hopes that I had for this set. Fuck you, MaRo. Fuck you.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03
>>
>>52519976

God damn it, I liked wither. It's a bummer to hear it ALMOST got back but didn't.
>>
>>52520106
I know. I loved wither. It was one of my favorite abilities.
>>
>>52519717
Yeah, looks pretty good to me in Limited. Even without other stuff that could synergise with it I'd say it's a solid pick.
>>
>>52498485
>Amonkhet's second sun has been slowly making its way towards the Bolas horn monument

Since they clearly don't mean that this second sun will literally be between the horns, and since there are literally infinite points of reference one can view the horns from such that the sun appears between the horns, this is perhaps the dumbest mythical doomsday plot device I've ever heard
>>
>>52521166
Aktually,

>Egypt was in a river basin
>to the North is water
>to the South are rapids and savages
>to the East is sand and death
>to the West is sand and death
Directions were part of their mythos. Their world was very limited at times due to being in an arid shithole.
This concept reappears in the Amonkhet lore, as everything outside the core God-Pharoah-protected cities are desert hellholes full of zombies.
I gather that Bolas' horns are stuck out either slightly in the desert, or on one of the edges of civilization, so there is an object direction it can be viewed from, and there is a point where the sun will rest between the horns.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I've simplified the Egyptian mythos some, but the core points should hold.
>>
>>52521268

From what I understand, most sentient life on Amonkhet resides in a single barrier-protected city while outside the barrier there is nothing but sand wurms and zombies. So there is only one place with anyone to view the horns with much interest and there it is a fixed point on the horizon. There would be angles within the city but for the most part depending on the scale of the horns there should be a point when from basically any point of view within the city that is the entire world as far as its occupants are concerned the second sun is between the horns.

Before anyone starts in on that being a very small scale for a plane, a lot of planes are a fair bit smaller than Earth, particularly created ones. I think it was said at one point that the entire plane of Mirrodin is about the size of the moon.
>>
>>52521574
Isn't it the opposite with Dominaria? From what I remember it's the (known) biggest plane.
>>
>>52521597
Dominaria is at least twice the size of Earth, possibly more - I forget the specifics, but shit is big and they (at least at one point) had an actual globe of the place
>>
>>52521597
Its a natural plane, the center of the multiverse,and is 10 times earths size.
>>
>>52521597

Dominaria is the counterpoint; the size of planes is inconsistent, but it being a natural plane, Dominaria demonstrates how much bigger many naturally-occurring planes are compared to artificially created ones.

Innistrad and Zendikar are both natural planes that have multiple continents, while I believe Mirrodin does not. I don't think Tarkir does, either, which combined with the dragon storms might make it more likely that Ugin created Tarkir.
>>
>>52514925

>Hazoret, the Pervert

Someone should artwork it with it holding a huge dildo instead of the spear.
>>
>>52514074
Utter garbage.
First God, and I have no interest whatsoever in this block.
>>
>>52513417
I'd fuck both. Then have deep discussions about mtg lore.
>>
>>52522164
>We don't need to answer Kaladesh with Shatterstorm or anything like that, but I think in hindsight, making sure that we have at least Naturalize or something stronger in the format is important to keep the format in check

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/update-standard-2017-03-24

Wizards agrees I can get picky. Fuck you man.
>>
>>52521268

He of the Two Ladies, Master of Sedge and Bee
>>
File: Look at Me, I'm R&D.png (429KB, 576x558px) Image search: [Google]
Look at Me, I'm R&D.png
429KB, 576x558px
>>
>>52522912
dont forget an activated ability that costs 2R
>>
>>52522912
Let me predict the future.
NotThor 3R
Legendary Creature - God
Indestructable
NotThor can't attack or block unless it's equipped or enchanted.
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, you may pay 2R. If you do, NotThor deals 2 damage to each opponent.
4/3
Remember, it's the pop culture version of something that's important, not the actual version!
>>
File: Image.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>52522912
Guttersnipe is one generic mana and 1 power away from being a god.
>>
File: WotC God template.jpg (294KB, 748x1044px) Image search: [Google]
WotC God template.jpg
294KB, 748x1044px
>>52522912
Let's see how close we get.
The article they put out today confirmed that all Amonkhet gods come with two keywords, one being indestructible. The other I assume to be a fairly common representation of the color, which I have inserted.
I have also attempted to translate the Theros gods as closely as possible for the condition to allow attacking/blocking. Some may be slightly off.

Some of these are actually okay, if uninspired.
>>
>>52523224
You're absolutely right, and that's disgusting.
>>
>>52502146
Has anyone ever been more wrong than this man here?
>>
>>52523302
Chandra, Torch of Defiance deals 2 damage to each opponent and costs 4 mana in red.
Does that mean she is a god that they forgot to give the ability to turn into a creature?
>>
>>52514074
When I first read her deal 2 damage ability I thought it could target creatures as well. What a boring fucking god, its just a reworked Purphoros. I can only imagine how lazy/shit the other gods are.

>>52514925
I really like art for this but to bad its obscured by those awful border and pillars.
>>
>>52523276
Abilities aren't synergistic enough with their limitations. See Hazoret's limitation and ability:
>limitation: can't attack or block unless one or fewer cards in hand
>ability: discard outlet
So while your white and green work with that, your black one and your blue one don't, which strikes me as weirdly incomplete.
>>
File: 1453318570118.jpg (12KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
1453318570118.jpg
12KB, 237x213px
>>52514074
All the gods are gonna be shit again aren't they? And we're just gonna get more OP Jacetice League walkers. Somebody tell me I'm wrong.
>>
File: 1376327226575.jpg (151KB, 500x741px) Image search: [Google]
1376327226575.jpg
151KB, 500x741px
>>52514074
Might be OK in my Feldon EDH. I can dig it.
>>
>>52521738
>multiple continents
>all the size of delaware
>>
>>52523454
Noted.
>black god can't attack or block unless you have 10 or less life.
>blue god, pay 1U, Scry 2. Activate this ability only once each turn.

Better?
>>
>Blue god
>3B
>Indestructible
>Flying
>This card cannot attack or block unless you have 3 or more instants or sorceries in your graveyard
>1B counter target spell
>4/5

finally a good blue card
>>
>>52523643
That's fucking broken. Like, "Banned in all formats and limited in vintage before release" broken
>>
>>52523643
>Blue god
>3B
>completely bonkers ability
containment thread is here: >>52422952
>>
>>52523643
>counterspell on a stick
Filthy fucking custom card poster
>>
>>52523567
That could work, although somehow I doubt that the U god would really need such a limitation on their ability.
>>52523643
(you)
>>
There's a custom card thread for a reason.
>>
>>52523675
>>52523695
>>52523752
>not wanting broken as shit blue cards to make control great again
plebs
>>52523845
thanks
>>
>>52523939
Did you not see the other spoiler thread? Apparently they're reprinting counterspell
>>
File: BlackLotusTeetherPromo.jpg (324KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
BlackLotusTeetherPromo.jpg
324KB, 1200x1600px
>>52501288
If that snake is a Naga and not a Snake I'm going to rip up a black lotus right in front of Martin Shkreli on live tv.
>>
>>52523960
Not in standard (or modern). Just as the fancy extramythic lottery inserts.
It's one of the booby prize ones this time around. Who the fuck wants an ugly foil turborare counterspell instead of literally anything else on the list?
And it's already been confirmed that the only things on the Invocations list that are in the set itself are the Egyptian God Cards and Aven Mindcensor
>>
>>52524014
>Search for Naga in Gatherer
>It's all Khans
For what purpose? Like, I get Jackal because there's no Hound tribal support, I get Aetherborn because it's a unique creature exclusive to a plane due to the way their mana forms, but Naga seems like such a pointless creature type. Snakes have tribe support, even if it's very little. Nagas have nothing.
>>
File: U God.png (2MB, 709x1016px) Image search: [Google]
U God.png
2MB, 709x1016px
hey guys i snuck in a pic of the blue god
>>
>>52524149
These sentiments are exactly why I made the post, thank you for clarifying. I can't believe Naga was even a thing and refuse to use the cards in my cubes.
>>
>>52523643
THE LETTER THAT REPRESENT BLUE MANA IS "U"
>>
>>52524904
Shush.
Blue isn't allowed to have good cards, but Black is.
>>
>>52515911
Pretty sure this doesn't work. Lets say you have three bugs on the field to start with. Put a counter on bug A, scarabs triggers, SBA's are checked, bug A dies, blowfly triggers, targeting bug B. Blowfly resolves, scarabs triggers, SBA's are checked, bug B dies, blowfly triggers, targeting bug C. Blowfly resolves, scarabs triggers, SBA's are checked, but C dies, blowfly triggers, there are no creatures on the board, fizzles. Then three scarabs triggers resolve. the way triggers stack means you just get out what you put in.
>>
>>52495036
Every fucking thread, goddamn. We've literally been pointing those cards out since they were released, stop being amazed by it already.
>>
>>52526378
Your salt tastes good.
>>
>>52526408
Almost as good as your dick, Daddy?
>>
File: 1480998941722.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1480998941722.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>52526459
>>
>>52515911
Pretty sure that this would cause an infinite loop that you cant atop unless you destroy one of the enchants or the bugs before counters are placed. Thus instantly drawing the game unless you do either one of those two things. Am i right or not?
>>
>>52526459
Even better.
>>
>>52526754
you can stack the triggers to end it whenever you want
>>
File: images-129.jpg (16KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
images-129.jpg
16KB, 223x311px
>>52515911
Add pic related and you could have t4 infinite mill. Jusst something fume spitter and another creature
>>
>>52514074
This works in standard mono red until rotation as some T2 trash burn against known open boards but that's about it.
>>
>>52514074
The fuck is wrong with everyone, this is a pretty decent card.
>4 mana, 5/4 indestructible, haste
>bad
Ffs people
>thinking you need a full grip
>in red
Modern Jund wants to get into top deck mode anyways
>>
>>52527159
Anon, Jund doesn't want this. Same reason most Junk lists don't run Siege Rhino anymore.
It costs too much. Even with a six-point life transfer, drawing Siege Rhino with Bob stings. Hazoret doesn't give life even.
And if it's drawn too soon/in opening hand, it still blows.

Hazoret/Siege Rhino is not a horrible card, but it's not something Jund/Junk wants to see.
I don't know what deck wants to see Hazoret.
>>
>>52527287
Some BR Vampire/Madness deck maybe.

Hazoret, Key to the City, Fiery Temper, Insolent Neonate, Bomat Courier, Lupine Prototype, maybe Nahiri's Wrath and a splash black for Bloodhall Priest, Alms of the Vein and Voldaren Pariah?
>>
>>52514819
Why would they say cycle or discard? Cycling is already considered discarding, the fuck?
>>
>>52527287
Sure it has better options but it's still playable. Most Jund/junk lists run a 1 of 4cmc card, and this would be ok in it. But my point isn't that this belongs in jund, but that generally speaking a lot of non izzet red decks expect to have 1 or less cards in hand eventually, and a 5/4 indestructible haste card is pretty goddamn good for 4 mana. This thing kills reality smasher and costs one less. According to this thread the card is complete and utter trash though.
>>
>>52527454
NWO. Gotta make sure those non-rares aren't too complicated for pack-crackers.
>>
>>52527540

I remember how hyped up /tg/ was over Chandra, Torch of Defiance, only for it to not even get played in Standard.
>>
>>52500985

This is never going to happen though. Bolas will just be the big bad that the Gatewatch have to take down and using the power of friendship and cohesive spirit they will beat Bolas at the darkest hour. Like they always fucking do.

I still have no idea how they beat Emrakul. Lilliana arrives with a sea of zombies? Who gives a shit, Emrakul could effortlessly turn those against her or mutate them into a shambling, tentacle infested abomination.
>>
>>52527671

Gatewatch won't beat Bolas in Hour of Devastation. They will get beat.
>>
>>52527646
It's not about hype, it's about accurately evaluating cards. Chandra, ToD is still really powerful.
>>
>>52527646
/tg/ is bad at magic.
Desolator was going nuts, saying the card was going to break the format even.

What a joke.
>>
>>52527704

I would go as far as to say the Eldrazi titans are canonically more powerful than Bolas.
>>
>>52527738
We might be talking superman versus batman here.
How many hours does Bolas have to prepare?
>>
>>52527733
Desolator is not /tg/
Desolator is fucking retarded
So is tg, but just unrelated to deso
>>
>>52527760
>yfw emrakul frees herself and follows the gatewatch to amonkhet
>bolas v emrakul
>>
>>52527719

Does Chandra ToD even see play beyond maybe one of in Jund or Valakut?
>>
>>52527790
Nope. Except in free red wins. But "sees play" is not synonymous with good.
>>
>>52527760

He has "half his plane has been turned into a scorched, bleached white wasteland and Ulamog just smacked all 5 of the god's asses with his tentacles before violently murdering them" time.
>>
>>52527790
barring a meta shift in modern, her value is going to plummet when she leaves standard.
She's got a year to receive life support, essentially.
>>
>>52527808
The gods are indestructible though
>>
>>52527830
Someone missed out on Annihilator.
>>
>>52527671
>Like they always fucking do.
But they didn't beat Emrakul
>>
>>52527854
My bad I was thinking newlamog
>>
>>
>>52527865

Bitch is stuck in the moon for the foreseeable future, I count that as beaten.
>>
>>52527903
Colorshift this to black please Wizards.
>B
>creature -- cat
>when ~ dies, each player discards a card
>Embalm -- B

yes please.
>>
>>52527738

Kozilek and Ulamog fought the Gatewatch on a plane that was designed to entrap and bind them, with the remains of the hedron network that was designed to inhibit their powers while empowering attacks against them, and the leylines perfectly arranged by Nissa and Jace working together so Nissa and Chandra could Channel-Fireball their true forms, AND Zendikar's worldsoul was actively involved in helping them win.

Emrakul beat the shit out of the Gatewatch without even trying before mind-controlling Tamiyo to seal her in the moon. Liliana at her most powerful didn't hurt Emrakul even a little and Jace's mind nearly shattered the second Emrakul paid him even the least mind. They didn't win, Emrakul ragequit because Innistrad isn't in the right phase of its lifecycle for her to consume and Nahiri's network wouldn't let her leave.

Bolas is much smarter than any of the Eldrazi, more powerful than any of the gatewatch, and everything from the suns in the sky to the winds and the sands on Amonkhet is something he personally created to serve his will. There is no possible fucking way he loses here.
>>
>>52527907
bitch stuck herself there though
>>
>>52515911
Zur got a new wincon.
>>
>>52527947

>fucking implying

If they lose here, and I mean "Bolas falls and everybody dies" lose, they'll have to invent 5 more planeswalkers. And that's effort.

Though to be fair I don't see why they'd fight Bolas, it's his plane after all. It's kind of weird these powerful, multiverse walking mages don't have any kind of non-intervention clause.
>>
>>52527733
Desolator is an absolute autist bro. He hasnt been playing for very long yet thinks he knows everything. There is reason he is nearly always wrong about mtg and why ihs shitty store makes no money from mtg
>>
>>52527540
If you want to be real here, this is a better side-deck card AGAINST jund more than a card Jund should be looking at. If you get hellbent and topdeck into her, you can take out their lily in usually one shot and then they don't really have good options

If only frontier wasn't dead, she'd go great in my BR Delirium shitbrew
>>
>>52527946
embalm is a white mechanic
>>
>>52528023
"Defeated" does not mean "dead."
You've read the lore? Ob Nixilis beat Nissa, Jace, and Gideon on Zendikar. He just took them into a cave and tortured them until Chandra rescued them.
Don't ask me to make sense of that.

Suffice to say, WotC is fine with having the Gatewatch be defeated. They've just got plot armor that prevents them from being killed.
If things on Amonkhet go as expected, they're going to be defeated only to be saved by Deus Ex Ajani with the reinforcements he went to get.
>>
>>52528023

They can get their shit pushed in without dying.

Liliana going "I'm out" the second shit goes south and the other four having to scatter when it's clear they're outmatched works perfectly fine.

The gatewatch had their starter villain and the beach episode, but we're moving to their second act now, and that belongs to the bad guys. It's just good narrative sense to Empire Strikes Back that shit up and they're not going to pack in a villain like Bolas, he's the iconic badguy of the game to the same player base the gatewatch is aimed at.
>>
>>52528023
>invent 5 more walkers
or they could not and just move on to another story? Or just follow up another walker we already have?
>>
>>52528023

They'll get scattered to the winds so the speak, spirits broken, and something will bring them back together later.
>>
>>52528164
God forbid
>>
>>52528170
>>52528119
>>52528125

Out of interest, why don't the planeswalkers have a non-intervention clause? It seems kind of weird they think they're the judge, jury and executioner of what's okay and what's not okay. I was doing the Magic Origins story for Nissa on Duels the other day and basically she planewalked to another plane and was like "you elves are dicks, you should do things like we do them on my plane".
>>
>>52528201
They're not the Federation. They've actively got to deal with Bolas and Tezzeret among others running across the planes causing trouble, or plane-destroying monsters like the Eldrazi tearing things up.
And you've got the oldwalkers like Ugin, Sorin, and Nahiri who are incredibly arrogant on top of that. The newwalkers meanwhile are all either childish, incompetent, or both.

Who would enact and enforce a non-intervention clause?
>>
>>52528201

Gideon has been in favor of the non-intervention thing, actually. He didn't think that the Gatewatch should get involved in Kaladesh's revolt until it was made clear that a planeswalker was engineering the social unrest in the plane for his own ends, and his goal was stopping Tezzeret, not fighting the Consolate with the Renegades.

Bolas, however, qualifies as an extraplanar threat. He's got agents actively fucking up other planes for his nefarious purposes so they're not going to leave him alone on the plane he made and cultivated a death-cult that worships him as a god.
>>
>>52528285
Friendly reminder that there is no reason to invade a plane and destroy their culture simply because it's "wrong"

All the Gatewatch has done is ruin the planes they've visited so far.
>>
>>52528323

Zendikar was in danger because of Bolas and 3/4ths of the Gatewatch, but Gideon did nothing wrong and got them back together to save the plane.

Innistrad was fucked before the Gatewatch showed up and everything bad that happened in that block is Nahiri's fault and Nahiri is kind of sort of Sorin's fault.

Kaladesh's revolution would have been much, much bloodier if the Gatewatch had not gotten involved and caused Tezzeret to flee, ending the primary cause of civil strife between the citizenry and the government. Chandra's presence on the plane allowed our lord and savior based Dovin Baan to arrest a corrupt and insane law enforcement officer and drastically reduce corruption in the consulate with minimal loss of life.

So far that accusation's not really sticking, and the gatewatch is there to fight Bolas because he's been actively causing other planes to nearly die in his own pursuit of power. If you burn down someone else's house as part of an insurance fraud scheme you can't cry foul when someone that lived in that house kicks down your front door to arrest you for arson because you're at home.
>>
>>52528201

Most do. That's why Tamiyo didn't join the Gatewatch. She only helped Jace on Innistrad originally so his Maddess wouldn't spread to other planes because he was a telepath but not to stop the source of the madness because she thought it was a natural event to Innistrad rather than a result of external factors. She also helped with Emrakul but only because that was an external threat.

And to be fair so far all of the Gatewatch meddling (as the Gatewatch) as come from other Planeswalkers meddling or Multiplanar threats. And Gideon was wondering if they were anything different from Tezzeret while they were in Kaladesh.
>>
File: 3TLIfZB.png (412KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
3TLIfZB.png
412KB, 970x545px
>it's another block where in the first set the justice league go to a random plane and find evil
>then in the second set they defeat the evil easily using megazord power

Man these characters are so interesting! I for one can't wait for the movie, it's guaranteed to be box-office gold!
>>
>>52528323
Nissa and chandra were making their own planes better even if it pissed off another planeswalker. Jace and liliana are the only ones who fucked shit up for no reason. Gideon's only mistake was trusting his friends which not his mistake. Even then he only lead native forces and minimized losses which in every situation can only be seen as a benefit for the plane.
>>
>>52527808
...so wait, why did Ulamog make the plane LESS of a scorched wasteland than it already was?
>>
>>52527719
>ToD is still really powerful

Where? Standard? Nope
Modern? Not really

It's just a painfully average 4 drop walker that people jizzed themselves over because WOAH 4 abilities just like Mind Sculptor it's literally mindsculptor for chandra woahhhh
>>
>>52528516

I don't see it happening.

1. The Gatewatch has only won by getting lucky so far and Ajani's dire warnings have been ignored, setting up for luck running out and pride goeth-ing before a fall
2. The writers are a lot more attached to Bolas as a villain than they were to the Eldrazi, and of the three big threats Bolas was the best-established and the one best-suited to be a recurring enemy for the Gatewatch
3. If Bolas loses here they might as well pack it in because there's no reason to believe anything would present a greater threat than Nicol "Fuck you, he's" Bolas, and whatever you might wanna say about the writers they do know things are supposed to go badly for the heroes in the second act.

"The Gatewatch will always easily win" is a meme and I'm going to gloat like a motherfucker when it is proven wrong.
>>
>>52528624
Let me guess how WotC will do this because they are predictable as fuck

>Superfriends go to Egypt
>Bolas beats them all up and takes their lunch money
>none of them die because consequences are stupid and character branding is cool :^)
>they return later and throw Bolas into the moon or some gay shit only for him to return 10 years later in Return to Amonkhet even strongerer and with more bad guys
>>
>>52528581
It was overhyped, sure. But that doesn't mean it's not good. Chandra, ToD is a powerful card for 4 mana. I think if you can't see that then you're not very good at evaluating cards, but I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise.
>>
>>52528657

People act like planeswalkers biting it was some super-common thing before the Gatewatch showed up. It wasn't.

The only permadeth we've had of a character that has a planeswalker card is Venser and that was to establish New Phyrexia as a threat while bringing back Karn. The only other planeswalker that's died has been Elspeth and she's very obviously coming back.

So I don't see why exactly it's decried as some huge story-warping change that nobody on the gatewatch is likely to die soon. That's...exactly what has been going on for a long time. By and large the planeswalkers don't bite it.
>>
>>52528670
>I have evaluated it and I'm a better evaluator than you, so there!

Get off your high horse. It's no more powerful than Pyromancer, but cards don't exist in a vacuum. Something might work just fine like Eldritch Evolution, but if there's nothing that makes great use of it, there's no reason to jerk yourself off over how great it is.
I'm sitting on a playset of EE, don't get me wrong. But it's never going to be more than a $10 unless someone finds the miracle that breaks it.
>>
>>52528705
Some of us hail from the days when a cast member or two ate it every couple of books or so.
>>
>>52528670
I still don't see it. Her abilities are just so lackluster that even her having more abilities doesn't help her evaluation

Her first +1 is pseudo-bad and awkward card draw. Doesn't feel good to use in game at all and most of the time just makes me wish I used the 4 mana on something else.

Second +1 is almost entirely irrelevant. No decks that want ramp wants to play this Chandra and the decks that want this Chandra don't want ramp. Also it doesn't persist between turns and its red which doesn't do much with the free mana. I never see people use this option and for good reason.

Her -3 is flame slash. Flame slash is a pretty nice card at 1 mana. I don't really wanna flame slash for 4 mana. Plus it's so expensive loyalty wise that you are hardly ever gonna be able to flash slash twice. Poor overcosted removal that is pretty bad when compared to LotV's edict or Jtms's bounce.

And her ultimate isn't worth talking about

Overall she's just too mediocre at everything she does. I'd rather just play a cryptic or a Huntsmaster or Gideon compared to this thing.
>>
>>52528749

That's nice and all but it's been a very long time since the Weatherlight's saga ended. Acting like this is a new direction is being disingenuous to bitch for bitching's sake about a story decision that is not anything new.
>>
>>52528705
Well now when you have the sets VERY heavily lift from the adventures of Jace and pals and you pretty much declare them as invincible it kinda takes away from any sort of tension or cares I might have for them

Also most of the cast is one-dimensional and boring so axing a few wouldn't change shit
>>
>>52528779
I agree, it's not a new direction, the problem is that it's the same shitty direction we've had for awhile. I assume the reason people complain about the Gatewatch is because it's shorthand for the 'walkers involved, all of whom have been flat characters for the past ten fucking years.
>>
>>52528847

In which case I feel like it's dumb to complain about the gatewatch when it's understood you wouldn't like any of the other 'walkers if we were focusing on them, either.

And some people are being a little over-nostalgic, I think. I don't remember Gerrard being too popular back when he was the main character of MTG. This shit comes with the territory.
>>
>>52528875
I don't see how it's dumb to complain about shit you don't like. It's not like all the other 'walkers being shit somehow makes them ones with the most screentime more tolerable.

As for Weatherlight, I didn't like it much at the time, but compared to what we have today it's pretty good. Gerrard and co. were at least entertaining enough and the Phyrexians were fun villains. Magic also seemed to be trying to establish its own tone instead of just picking a vague theme (Lovecraft, Steampunk, Egypt) and a checklist of tropes.
>>
>>52527790
>>52527806
>>52527828
>>52528581
>>52528771
skred
>>
>>52528875
>I think. I don't remember Gerrard being too popular
He wasn't. The Weatherlight story was very impopular with players. It's almost as if a CCG isn't a platform where an overarching storyline is appreciated.

>>52528920
>Magic also seemed to be trying to establish its own tone¨
To be fair it was pretty much just the tone of pulp fantasy (Moorcock in particular being a clear inspiration), even though it was different at the time from the ordinary nonspecific medieval/reneissance fantasy we see a lot of today.
>>
>>52528103
considering embalmed creatures become mono white tokens, I assume at some point there will be a card with embalm that isn't already mono-white.
>>
File: Hazoret the Pervert.png (176KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Hazoret the Pervert.png
176KB, 265x370px
>>
>>52522912
I think you are extrapolating to much with that 'lower n by 1 each time'
>>
>>52530303
They specify white since embalmed tokens have no mana cost as part od the keyword effect, but i guess it's possible.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.