[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 454
Thread images: 33

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

>Don't forget to take the official survery on Theurgy and War Magic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52433021

How do the gods/deities in your universe interact with the people? Do they make godly appearances or act from behind the scenes?
>>
File: 1367779996999.png (5KB, 215x285px) Image search: [Google]
1367779996999.png
5KB, 215x285px
>"Halflings wear shoes in my setting"
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622026
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622028
http://www.strawpoll.me/12622029

Polls for each of the archetypes in the latest UA.
>>
>>52440397
Which WotC employee are you?
>>
>>52440390
suck tolkien's dick harder... wait.
>>
>>52440339
Homebrew campaign that just finished up today: gods were pretty standard and helpful, but thousands of years ago the gods were basically locked out of the material plane when some sorcerer kings sealed off the Underdark. Only the four main creator gods (Corellon, Io, Pelor, and Boccob) had direct influence, blessing one "envoy" at a time with demigod-tier power.

Eberron: gods probably aren't real, power comes from the strength of belief.
>>
Could I imprison a bunch of nagas, kill them to harvest their meat and repeat it when they rejuvenate?

What do nagas taste like?
>>
What does touching a sphere of annihilation feel like?
>>
>>52440426
The best one.
>>
When did you finally realise we'd never get a fun original setting in 5e's lifetime?
>>
>>52440466
Brapposting.
>>
>>52440558
Before it came out.
>>
>>52440464
Snake
>>52440466
Extreme pain
>>52440484
Never
>>
>>52440432
I was actually interested in running Ebberon for my campaign but I have no clue on how it would be done.
>>
>>52440558
When they released the phb with no original setting just rules and suggestions for established settings
>>
File: 1344401956385.gif (330KB, 271x256px) Image search: [Google]
1344401956385.gif
330KB, 271x256px
>When the mage and cleric blow all their spell slots on the first hard encounter
>They slowly realize that was just the warm up
>>
>>52440558
I'm not sure I get what you mean. Forgotten Realms is as fun as you want it to be. As for new... I haven't felt it yet, wish they came up with completely new ideas instead of hashing out old stuff, but it seems like that's gonna be the case until they release 5.5e.
>>
>>52440598
Make uncommon magic items buyable in the larger cities based on the DMG prices. If the party is interested, throw in some homebrew crafting rules for magic items (DMG crafting rules are shit). Give artificers some leeway in that department.

It's honestly not super difficult and my players love it.
>>
>>52440647
The problem with Forgotten Realms is it's very, very standard fantasy. I can't name a single small gimicky thing it has that people look at and find interesting, aside from the amount of people who overshadow the PC's in every way.
>>
>>52440624
They seem pretty stupid for a mage and cleric then.
>>
>>52440339
last run i played was asspull after asspull in a mostly incoherent setting, given it was this dm's first attempt at both dm'ing and coming up with a setting, even he admitted it had turned to shit and we decided to end it prematurely.

there were no gods, not that we ever knew about, the world were we started was made out of boredom by a bunch of wizards that came across a magical stone from outer space. we eventually go to their world and they were just normal dudes living lives as mildly competent political leaders and wandering handimen.

and before that, the run where i dm'd probably had no gods either, people believed in stuff, i had given the world religions, but there were no gods. there were a bunch of powerful magical creatures, some worshipped as gods, but mostly remnants from the original inhabitants of the world, who were just things from other planes like demons, dragons and cosmic horrors.
>>
What powers did the Darklords used to have?
Closing the borders? Others?
>>
File: Current Character.png (499KB, 1200x533px) Image search: [Google]
Current Character.png
499KB, 1200x533px
How are you enjoying your current characters?
>>
>>52440624
>>52440671
> Sorcerer blow all their spell slots on the first hard encounter
> spend the next 2 hours of the session whining about how they need to "long rest"
>>
>>52440339
24 or so gods who basically sit around in their own little plane constantly fighting each other over everything.

Also most gods the DM's had spotlights on seem to be really weird. My character's a Cleric of the Chaotic Neutral god of Farming, Family, Revenge, Nature and Murder.
>>
>>52440671
The wizard should just turn his back and smoke a cigarette while the lesser classes dispatch the rabble. Unless the dwarf cries out or something, then I know something's wrong. Time to sculpt me a Fireball. Oh, I forgot to sculpt the 'ball around the druid? Heh, keep the change, kid.
>>
>>52440466
nothing
>>
>>52440705
Aside from learning that monks are shit, I enjoy playing the character itself.
>>
>>52440705
I'm having fun. I'm a goliath fighter who's the only sane one in the party.
>>
>>52440466
It'd be very painful.
>>
>>52440705
no because my dm hates fun and had to scramble a shit character 5 minutes before starting the run. i'm hoping it dies quickly, it should take more than a hit or two, to get another one going. something munchkiny and mindless so that he can't fuck me over again.
>>
>>52440390
>>52440429
>not calling them hobbits
>>
>>52440743
Give us a greentext, friend.
>>
File: 1437190802051 (1).gif (4MB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
1437190802051 (1).gif
4MB, 320x238px
>>52440671
>>52440707
>When they don't realize you can't LR twice in one day
>>
>>52440771
The fuck is that gif
>>
>>52440661
I actually thought about upgrading the infrastructure a bit more than what I've already heard from Eberron. But I'll run it by my group and I'll ask them what do they prefer since I was already going to incorporate a lot of things from Eberron to the Forgotten Realms since I liked it so much.

The main thing that actually worries me is the Pantheon/Factions, which is why I leaned towards Forgotten Realms as there seems to be more available info. Also the PDF I found for the eberron campaign setting isin't formatted and I find it frustrating to read.
>>
>>52440781
strangely arousing
>>
Why is WotC so afraid of letting monks pack some punch? Drunk Monk would be great if we could pick our fucking targets properly. "But anon countering a missed roll on reaction is too strong!" yeah so fucking what, monk is too weak, let him have it. Jesus Christ it's really not a hard class to fix.
>>
>>52440781
A depiction of how your skeleton gets inside your body.
>>
>>52440824
There is literally nothing wrong with monk.
>>
>>52440705
I'm wary of getting too attached to my character, the campaign is a brutal character grinder. I'm on my fifth guy.
>>
>>52440799
Eberron Campaign Setting: https://mega.nz/#!fhwA1SKC!bnVR0iRtqfJjpChMiB-Xhwact3xtZLVkC81wbSzS1WI
Faiths of Eberron: https://mega.nz/#!ygwkGKhR!3MWyHF10ZkQIzAQbUj6qk2b8zGV5QIFyhscLJ-MqwI4

Here senpai.
>>
File: PYRWLuM[1].png (362KB, 585x404px) Image search: [Google]
PYRWLuM[1].png
362KB, 585x404px
I need to pick your brain /5eg/. A buddy of mine recently got a Pathfinder book kickstarted, effectively a pathfinder version of the Book of Erotic Fantasy (yeah, I know, bear with me). He has expressed interest in maybe doing a similar project for 5e, and of our group of friends I'm both deviant enough to put up with this and the most knowledgeable about 5e - so he's asking that I help with it.

Now I told you that story so I could tell you this one; I was thinking of what I could do with this, and aside from tossing him the stuff I wrote about having a background as a prostitute (hardly worth the effort since customizing backgrounds is core) and trying to track down the guy on reddit who came up with the Oath of Love, I thought having a Warlock patron based on incubi/succubi could be interesting and thematic. At this point I'm basically throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks, and I'd like some suggestions. I'm trying to stick with effects that play on the charmed condition; here are my ideas so far in no particular order:

-Short rest charm effect, or at-will single target charm requiring concentration.
-When you end a charm effect by dealing damage, target takes additional psychic damage (1/2 Warlock level + charisma?)
-When you are targeted by an attack, reaction to attempt to charm your attacker. Attacker must change targets or waste their attack.
-You can take an action to detect the surface thoughts of a creature you've charmed, as Detect Thoughts. You can't probe deeper this way.
-Probably a capstone: you can kiss a charmed creature and either deal loads of psychic damage or outright kill them (based on quivering palm.) I'm thinking short rest recharge because that's how QP works, but this would be gained 3 levels earlier - but at the same time requires they fail a save and be charmed, then fail another save to die. Fuck if I know if it's balanced.

tl:dr; read the above list, give me criticisms and ideas.
>>
>>52440756
it's not a good story and i'm probably a faggot "mystic apologist" or some other shit that guy said when i first shared it.

>ask dm if i he had any character restrictions
>he said he'd really like if i didn't make a super special snowflake homebrew character
>make my special snowflake character and a backup
>day 1, i get to the encounter, another friend is working out his character, not sure of what to pick
>i give him some recs while our dm picks up the details, ask him why is he making his character now
>dm says that he convinced him to not go with his original character, an artificer
>i ask why and he says, no UA
>i tell him, well, then i don't have a character either
>i, mildly upset, go out to get some food and he says, "well, i guess you can use them, you know the system better or something"
>and i obviously answer, "then let him use his original character"
>"no i don't trust him"
>passive aggressively answer deny the offer
>come back from getting food, people is about to start dm asks me if i have a character
>i proceed to roll dice in order, and start the encounter with a 6 dex, 7 con, 18 int wizard and nothing else written on the page

it's a shit story, in the end my friend did use an UA subclass but not his first pick, everyone else went vanilla and the dm had all their backstories beforehand so i set myself to a shit campaign were yet again my character has nothing to gain from.
>>
The rules for resurrection read
>You touch a dead creature that has been dead for no more than a century, that didn't die of old age, and that isn't Undead. If its soul is free and willing, the target returns to life with all its hit points.

Does an Undead creature that's been slain still count as "Undead" for the purpose of this spell's exclusions, or is it now merely "dead" and available to resurrect?
>>
File: D&DCap.png (230KB, 806x166px) Image search: [Google]
D&DCap.png
230KB, 806x166px
I don't quite understand how Savage Attacks works.

If I crit and 1st level divine smite with a longsword, how much damage do I do? 7d8+mod?
>>
>>52440886
monks
are
GHEY
>>
>>52440949
You got it.
>>
>>52440918
>Now I told you that story so I could tell you this one
ok Cosby
>>
>>52440949
correct, 2d8 from the longsword, 4d8 from the smite and 1d8 from savage attacks.
>>
>>52440705
Loving my gruff barbarian but realizing that nobody else roleplays at all except for the guy who's playing a 12 year old elf.
>>
>>52440918
Sorcerous origin is more fitting than a patron if you ask me.
>>
>>52440945
I think Undead implies actively up and moving, or at least currently empowered by whatever powers undead in your setting. Kill it and it's just another corpse.
>>
>>52440705
I'm a Wizard who's far less effective than I thought I'd be because the Cleric outstats me to fuck.
>>
>>52440963
zip zop zoobidy bop

>>52440999
It's definitely an option, but I've got a hardon for Warlocks, and have 2 other (much less fleshed out) ideas for sorcerers; a Fey bloodline, and a healing bloodline based on the idea that healing magic cast on preggo mom has an odd affect on the child.
>>
>>52440890
Oh wow... nice people... on the internet... Is this the 6th edition campaign setting?
>>
>>52440945
Only True Resurrection revives an undead.
>>
>>52441041
They're the 3.5e versions. I have the 4e versions too if you want but I find the 3.5e versions better overall.
>>
>>52441044
That doesn't answer his questin.
>>
Why is it that average player health is rounded up, but average monster health and damage is rounded down?
>>
>>52441054
Resurrection doesn't work on the corpse of an undead. True Resurrection does.
>>
>>52441058
Don't ask Crawford, he's been on the rag lately.
>>
>>52441011
>the Cleric outstats me to fuck

Possibilities:
1. Cleric is higher level. Why is there such a large discrepancy between your levels?
2. You rolled for stats. Why the hell would your group do this? Absolute shit.
3. You made an unoptimized character. In this case you can't really complain.

Seems like whichever way you have it, you're a faggot.
>>
>>52441058
Because players will only ever get 20 hit dice, NPCs get as many as you need to make them hit whatever CR you want them to be. Giving players a little more bang for their buck seems fair.
>>
>>52441058
The Hit Dice by Size average HP amount isn't rounded at all.

As for players: because it's simpler.
>>
>>52440890
Oh wow... nice people... on the internet... Is this the 6th edition campaign setting?
>>
>>52440921
Takes 3 min to make a char don't be a baby
>>
Are Artificer Gunsmith and Rogue the only classes that should ever consider the Savage Attacker feat?
>>
>>52441058
Because DMs are terrible at building encounters so it's a safer bet to fudge the numbers in the party's favor since the point of the game isn't to try for believable TPKs.
>>
>>52440945
It comes back as its living form not as an undead
>>
>>52441124
No one should consider the Savage Attacker feat, as it is strictly limited to the damage dice of the weapon, not of a given attack. That is, you're not rerolling sneak attacks, you're rolling that rapier d8 at best.
>>
>>52441126
>the point of the game isn't to try for believable TPKs

You're playing wrong.
>>
>>52441139
Oh well fuck that. That's quite possibly the most useless feat in the game then?
>>
>>52441115
but i didn't want to make any effort, effectively getting what i deserved.

mental problems or something.
>>
>party fighting a nest of giant centipedes that happened to take out a farmer
>farmer just barely survives the attack, so have his vitals appear to be almost non-existent when the party checks
>they revive him with minor healing and a centipede poison antidote
>tell him he was literally dead
>he runs away believing he was revived by dark magic by some students of a magical academy
That's going to be for some fun consequences later. That, and the druid not quite fully intimidating a pack of direwolves by displaying a pelt of one of their kind
>>
>>52441152
It's up there but I think some others like weapon master might take the cake.
>>
>>52440921
Sounds like he's just really wishy-washy more than hates fun. He should have told you no UA if he wanted no UA, but passively-aggressively making a character you won't enjoy playing is just dumb and self-defeating, and chances are DM won't care that you fucked yourself over if he really does hate fun.

Just ask him if you can roll a new guy.
>>
Savage Attacker makes greataxes better because they are 1d12, so you get to roll double, but with a greatsword you only get to roll 1d6. I didn't read the thread so you might have talked about this earlier.
>>
>>52441176
Even weapon master gives you an alright bonus and a +1 Ability Score. Savage Attacker's like +1 damage per round.
>>
Drunken Master Monk needs to have improvised weapons be monk weapons, but large ones like ladders and poles (for reach) break after one attack action /flurry of blows, and be able to pick up multiple small items in one turn to have a full number of thrown attacks (providing there are enough mugs, bottles, boots, pans, knives, etc for each attack)

Gives them a ranged attack equivalent to sun soul, a turn of 10ft reach attacks for everything they can pick up in the environment, and a whole lot of bills to pay.

Of course they should be able to do this as many times as they want without resting, as they'll be limited by finding items.
>>
>>52441198
True, I would probably rather have just a +1 than savage attacker.
>>
>>52441169
>>he runs away believing he was revived by dark magic by some students of a magical academy

Sounds silly and forced to me. I hope you have a larger plan.
>>
File: 1473463322416.jpg (92KB, 336x422px) Image search: [Google]
1473463322416.jpg
92KB, 336x422px
>>52441152
>tfw my DM thinks it's at least as powerful as GWM and wonders why no one takes it
>>
>>52441190
>Just ask him if you can roll a new guy.
i know he'd let me but i'm really, really autistic about it so i'll just roll the character until it eventually dies. he'd literally have to deliberately never target me for an attack ever, because at 4hp and 8ac any attack from any source would be enough to kill me.
effectively proving my long running feud about how most dms are control freaks too afraid of letting players make meaningful decisions for the sake of preserving the precious plot. it's not even an original setting, it's not like the story is his masterpiece or anything, but you can tell when they write themselves into a corner and just have to fudge everything over in the direction of the player to not risk the plot going too far off the current page.

it's complicated and i know i'm being irrational about it, but it's not just about the characters and you are right, it's not about the fun either.
>>
>>52441195
No, you reroll all the dice. You are thinking of the similarly-named Savage Attacks.
>>
I'm a GOOlock. I didn't make a pact with a GOO, as much as "it" conveniently left a book of knowledge for me to find and become corrupted by.

I don't know the GOO, or its motivations, though I suspect I'm setting things into motion according to its will.

How do i play this? my DM isn't so involved to throw me a backstory - what is my GOO manipulating me to do? Start a cult? I have no idea.
>>
>>52441308
oh yea
>>
>>52441273
Well, to be fair, there is in fact a magical academy nearby that does occasionally have to remove "problem students", so that kind of idea wouldn't be too far fetch to have among the more paranoid and magic-suspicious.
Plus, it'll help give the players an excuse TO go to said magical academy, which has stuff there for them to do as well as having a part in a sub-plot the party's involved in
>>
>>52441311
>How do i play this? my DM isn't so involved to throw me a backstory

Sorry bro, if the DM doesn't collaborate, sekret backstories don't really work.
>>
>>52441311
read the goo on the phb, most goo patrons don't even know, much less care, about the power you took from them. something something too eldritch and alien to even understand.

play into the madness and theorize if the madness has some deeper underlying purpose or not.
>>
File: 1336756194023.gif (743KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1336756194023.gif
743KB, 500x281px
>>52440921
>Makes a snowflake
>Wants to use UA

Yep checks out.
>>
>>52441311
If your DM isn't actually having the GOO send you messages, all you can really do is make your own meaning out of whatever the DM does throw at you.
>>
>>52440945
I'd say killing the undead form freed its soul.

So the spell would work as intended.

But that is True Ressurection, a very high level powerful spell you shouldn't have access to.
>>
>>52441413
Yukko is cute!
>>
>>52441413
yes, yes, i'm fully aware.
>>
File: College of Whispers.jpg (133KB, 670x490px) Image search: [Google]
College of Whispers.jpg
133KB, 670x490px
I'm playing a level 5 College of Whispers Bard in a politics heavy game but we're starting to get into more monster fighting. I wan't to be more effective in combat but I hear 5e bards are great at higher level. about how many points should I dump into rogue for the damage buff (our party doesn't have a rogue already?)
>>
File: 1466430443063.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1466430443063.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
>>52441301
>i'm really, really autistic
>proving my long running feud about how most dms are control freaks

What did he mean by this?
>>
Could someone please tell me what special abilities and qualities the darklords of Ravenloft had in previous editions?
>>
File: D&DCap.png (259KB, 836x218px) Image search: [Google]
D&DCap.png
259KB, 836x218px
Are attack rolls with a strength weapon considered ability checks?

If so, wouldn't an 18th level Barbarian with 20 strength be able to auto crit every attack?
>>
>>52441532
Advantage on shitposting checks.
>>
>>52441535
No.
>>
>>52441535
No
Attacks, saves, and checks are all different things.
>>
>>52441434
Not so much frees the soul, as allows the spirit to reattach to the anima.
>>
>>52441535
Holy shit you have no idea what you're doing.

A) No. Attacks and Ability Checks are different things.

B) You only crit if you roll a natural 20, rolling a 19 with +14 to hit won't crit.
>>
>>52440771
There's a skeleton inside all of us
>>
File: 1459940144624.gif (2MB, 400x616px) Image search: [Google]
1459940144624.gif
2MB, 400x616px
What mutations/special abilties would you give a White Dragon thats been corrupted by Ruinous Powers?

Thinking tentacles, madness.
>>
>>52440729
Monks aren't awfully shit at all balance wise if you know what you're doing and you can resist the urge to avoid trying to be a 'special' monk.
>>
>>52441508
What's your party comp and what level are you?
>>
>>52441563
>Holy shit you have no idea what you're doing

That's why I'm asking Einstein.
>>
>>52441597
Well at least you're doing that. Everyone has to start somewhere anon.
>>
>>52441577
Refluffed neothelid, done.
>>
>>52441577
Nah

Have it seem absolutely normal until they hit it with a weapon

It then splits in half like some sorta ooze. Each half functions as a half-HD dragon. It's not actually an ooze- you can see organs and shit merrily pumping away in the severed bits.

And as you keep cutting, it keeps dividing. Somehow still able to fly and use breath weapons from each individual part, using improvised methods best left to the nightmares of the players.

If that doesn't traumatize your players, well, it's not like tentacles and madness would have either.
>>
>>52441508
College of Whispers doesn't have extra attack, does it?

None. None at all. Especially if you don't fight in combat too often considering you should be able to fight with spells as well as cantrips constantly.
>>
File: Cap.png (160KB, 2744x276px) Image search: [Google]
Cap.png
160KB, 2744x276px
>>52441591
>what level are you?
>>
>>52440729
It's not the Monk class that's shitty...
>>
>>52441645
Shit, sorry. Brain aneurysm or something. I still want to know your party comp.
>>
File: 1489697586575.png (375KB, 792x475px) Image search: [Google]
1489697586575.png
375KB, 792x475px
>>52441646
wrong
>>
>>52440729
If you know what you're doing and actually take short rests then Monks can be pretty damn good.
>>
>>52441545
Good shit, you may be a shitlord yet.
>>
>>52441591
I'm a level 5 bard
we've got a Sorceror when he feels like showing up a Ranger and a Barbarian
>>
>>52441619
That's the spirit!

Also the second point in >>52441563 is not totally right, you misunderstood what I said I think.

Yes, a nat 20 is the only way to crit, but if attacks were ability checks (which they aren't) and barbarians got to choose to replace their roll with 20, that might or might not be considered a crit.

You don't have to roll the die in that moment and have it land on a 20 to crit. It could be like Diviner's Portent feature.

You see how nuance is a thing? Pretty cool eh?
>>
>>52441620
>>52441631
I can see a mix between these two.
>>
>>52441532
Usually they were pretty damn weak in a fight and not even necessarily the strongest combatant in their domain, their advantage was in closing the border, being notified of paladins and a few other things.
>>
>a player makes an astute observation and thinks they discovered something when really you just fucked up as a DM and overlooked something

Does this ever happen to anyone else or am I just a fuck-up?
>>
File: 1469804553028.jpg (29KB, 338x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469804553028.jpg
29KB, 338x400px
>>52440771
>>
>>52441631
This
>white dragon
>frosty home
Go full The Thing.
>>
>>52441659
> Highly mobile anti-ranged skirmisher
> Waaaahhh I can't slug it out with the walking armory

ok friendo
>>
>>52441831
you're a fuck up

really we're all fuckups though
>>
File: 1488817047465.jpg (79KB, 802x602px) Image search: [Google]
1488817047465.jpg
79KB, 802x602px
>>52441892
>ok friendo
im not your friendo, ladarino
>>
>>52441831
yeah

I usually just roll with whatever the player went with, it makes them feel smart and I don't become dumb trying to cover up the fact that I overlooked something
>>
>>52441831
All the fucking time. I either come clean and tell them I didn't account for it, or, depending on what it is, I'll incorporate it into the campaign. The BBEG is in place due to someone picking a GOOlock. They have a whole series of side quests that have come about due to the party putting too much interest in something I thought was set dressing.
>>
>>52441907
i'm not your ladarino, champarooni
>>
>>52441508
>>52441678
If you really want to go rogue, I wouldn't go more than 3 levels in, when you get your first roguish archetype features.

Personally, I'd take Magic Initiate (Sorcerer) with green-flame blade and booming blade and just stay as a bard. You can still use Venomous Blades with those cantrips, which should bump your damage a bit.
>>
>>52441916
>I usually just roll with whatever the player went with

I came up with a month long mind control subplot when the players decided that because they almost got charmed the current BBEG must have mind controlled all their followers.

They spent ages trying to figure out how to break it and save the 'innocent' people.

Originally they were just meant to be evil dickheads who liked killing.
>>
>>52441700
Indomitable Might doesn't replace your d20 roll, it replaces the end total after modifiers.
>>
>>52441948
>>52441831
Players often come up with better shit than whatever you planned. Sometimes it's better to just roll with it. Don't do this every time, though, or they'll catch on and start metagaming to give themselves an advantage.
>>
>>52440669
No love for the fact firearms are being developed on a small island nation and have become popular among mercenaries on the west coast, with the likelihood of spreading into actual military use in coming years?

No interest in the secret societies who are just as often labeled terrorists as they are heroes depending on the city and place?

Not finding the rumors of hell mouths opening in and around the bloodstone lands and letting loose all sorts of demons fun enough? Not even the suggestions that some of the more clever demons have instead of causing mayhem started infiltrating society?

Not caring about the (re)invention of the steam engine in Mulhorand and the implications it's having on society as the priests of Thoth are trying to figure out how to best use it?

Not even a tiny bit of care for the writings of Volothamp Geddarm which imply that magic isn't actually something one has to be born with but rather something anyone could study and learn if it weren't for the fact that the existing mages prefer keeping the populace unaware, and even fear the coming of the aforementioned guns as people may recognize that you don't need to know magic words to make explosions? Or even that those same writings heavily imply that most FR writing on said big NPCs is heavily biased in their favor as FR canon is that Elminster vets all the writing to make sure it positively reflects him and his friends before coming to our world?

Just kidding, that's all 1e and 2e stuff. TSR's policies during 2e started neutering the realms, and 3e all but finished the job pretty handily.
>>
>>52440921
Fuck off BB. You're not the one running the game, if the DM says no UA then no UA. He also ASKED YOU SPECIFICALLY to not make a snowflake and you turn around and make a snowflake? Nice one. I feel assblasted on behalf of your DM. Like I'm getting an empathic assblast right now.
>>
>>52441763
Thanks bro, you're the real mvp. What were some of the other things?
>>
File: destroy.jpg (141KB, 553x388px) Image search: [Google]
destroy.jpg
141KB, 553x388px
So I'm making a warlock as my first 5e character. Old One Pact, his patron is Piscaesthes the Aboleth progenitor. She is (Or he thinks she is) mindless and isn't even conscious of the pact, so he's pretty sure he's discovered One Weird Trick for free power with no consequences (Wis 8)

So it seems like half the posts on here are talking about how bad Pact of the Blade is. I was thinking Pact of Tome but three cantrips seems... Are cantrips better in 5e than they were in 3.5? What are some good suggestions for Tome cantrips?
>>
What can you guys tell me about the mystic?
Been kind of looking at the class and wondering on how it actually plays out, since it seems pretty strong at first glance, if resource intensive.

Also, do the initial class disciplines allow picking from any discipline and only the Order bonus disciplines dictate picking from a specific list or did I read that wrong?
>>
>>52442053
>he's discovered One Weird Trick for free power with no consequences
you're annoying
>>
I'd lioke to run White Plume Mountain but fuck ever letting my players get their dirty little mitts on Blackrazor or even Wave/Whelm
>>
>>52442066
>>52442053
WIZARDS HATE HIM!

Find out how this normal guy discovered this one trick for free power!
>>
>>52442053
Pact of the blade is shat on because it's inferior to eldritch blast with the agonizing blast invocation outside of a few specific builds.

Pact of the tome gives you cantrips which can be very useful, and has an invocation to give you ritual casting, which is really handy for a warlock with their limited slots.
>>
>>52442072
>sorry but your sword is in another mountain, mario
>>
>>52442072
Why do you hate your players anon?
>>
>>52442053
Three cantrips isn't great, but it allows you to do pact of the tome better (shillelagh+GFB/BB), you can get guidance for +2.5 to a lot of skill checks, maybe resistance for +2.5 to some saves...

The main draw is that you can use an invocation to turn it into a ritual book that can have every ritual in the game, which is like a wizard but slightly better but also worse because you have to find the rituals to add them in.

Pact of the tome is still absolute shite though, easily worse than three cantrips.
Pact of the chain is probably the best if you know how to make good use of a familiar and you don't need shillelagh.
>>
File: find.jpg (40KB, 416x296px) Image search: [Google]
find.jpg
40KB, 416x296px
>>52442053
Talking of Warlocks.

Would people handwave the 'Brass Brazier' part of the materials as long as they have the 10gp of incense?
>>
If your player wants to be a drunken monk and takes tavern brawler, would you let them use their martial arts dice for the improvised weapon?
>>
>>52442072
I just had them sent there by someone vastly more powerful than them. Essentially if they didn't hand over the weapons they risk destruction.
>>
>>52442120
>If your player wants to be absolute shit but wants to be ever so slightly less shit at something that's encouraging them to be shit, do you let them be not 100% shit but only 99% shit?
Eh, I don't see why not.
>>
>>52442111
>+3 to hit, advantage on everything, easily 100+ temp hp, conc free haste

No bro
>>
>>52442053
Pact of the Blade is slightly better if your DM allows the UA with expanded invocations, but it still requires a heavy invocation tax just to still not be as good as using Eldritch Blast every round.

Yes, cantrips are good, and you should be casting them every round you're not casting a level 1+ spell. You should already have Eldritch Blast from warlock, so for tome just pick whatever 3 cantrips seem useful.
>>
>>52442142
That was basically my reasoning as well.
>>
>>52442053
>Are cantrips better in 5e than they were in 3.5?
yes yes a thousand times yes

>What are some good suggestions for Tome cantrips?
Shillelagh, Guidance, Spare the Dying
>>
>>52442115
What are some problems you can solve with rituals? They never come up in my game, and I always assumed it was because they were a niche ribbon ability (I'm not a caster).
>>
>>52440921
>>he said he'd really like if i didn't make a super special snowflake homebrew character
>>make my special snowflake character and a backup
yeah, fuck you pal.

~DMs everywhere
>>
>>52442118
Nah, otherwise you could just pull familiars out of your ass.

Although I prefer to make it a brass brassiere. Makes things more interesting.
>>
>>52440921
maybe you shouldn't be a cunt just a thought

UA isn't for everyone
>>
>>52442218
>Detect magic
Find magic items. Find magic traps. Find magic enemies. Et cetera.
>Speak With Animals
Ask animals which way somebody went, nearest way to a certain landmark
>Alarm
Keep things safe at night, protect your flank as you advance into somewhere
>Identify
Work out what shit is, or what types of magic are affecting who, if any. Work out if somebody's charmed.
>Leomund's Tiny Hut
Long rest without worry.
>Find Familiar
Advantage, stealing things, scouting... A lot of things.

And there's more. Not all are awfully useful, but there are some pretty damn useful ones considering they don't use spell slots.
>>
>>52442053
TAKE CANTRIPS THAT FIT YOUR CHARACTER'S PLAYSTYLE AND BACKSTORY

DON'T BE A FUCK AND TAKE OPTIMIZED BULLSHIT.
>>
>>52442013
By this point, none of that shit is a fresh take on fantasy anyway
>>
>>52442337
What if it's part of your character's backstory that he would prefer to better be able to survive combat situations?
>>
File: HumanWizard02.png (417KB, 488x648px) Image search: [Google]
HumanWizard02.png
417KB, 488x648px
>I shoulda been a monk
>>
>>52442383
You have eldrich blast already. What more would you need?
>>
Hey.

I'm considering a halforc Ranger / Rogue, heavier emphasis on Ranger, ideally, with a reach polearm. Is this trying to do much? Can this be effective?
>>
>>52442383
That would be okay if Guidance and Spare the Dying weren't both support spells. If you're playing some kind of friendly warlock, go ahead and take them. But a warlock who wants to survive is usually looking out for themselves is probably going to take crowd control cantrips while they spam eldritch blast.
>>
>>52441058
Because monster hit dice don't correspond to anything.

>>52441126
No, the hit dice are just assigned to arbitrarily arrive at target HP.
It has nothing to do with being "nice"
>>
>>52442426
Can't sneak attack with a polearm (need a finesse or ranged weapon), ranger doesn't get great weapon fighting, and their melee abilities are focused around dual-wielding.
Other than that it's doable.
>>
>>52442426
Ehh. It's not as good a PAM Fighter or Paladin but it works.
>>
>>52442456

It sounds like I should go a completely different route, since there's no synergy. That, or just switch to two shortswords or something.

>>52442457

I am guessing DWing a finesee weapon would be better?
>>
>>52442507

Dual wielding starts off okay and winds up being pretty mediocre/bad.
>>
>>52442523

Would sword and board be better, then? or knife and grapple since it's a strength base?
>>
>>52442416
What is the best way to Monk in 5e? I mean being useful while still being fun and you know...monk-y.
>>
File: DrowWizard01.png (272KB, 703x972px) Image search: [Google]
DrowWizard01.png
272KB, 703x972px
I don't normally play drows, but the idea of playing an archfey drow warlock who took the pact after he dropped out of the wizard academy and was banished from his home city in the Underdark sounds fun.

He was hunted and so he eventually came to the surface to escape. Dealing with the sunlight weakness doesn't seem too tough if I just take poison spray, which works anyway. Can a wide brimmed hat help with the sunlight weakness? I assume getting some goggles made would work.

I would obviously use the Change Self invocation to blend in. Probably pact of the chain and have the quasit shift into a bat, which fits thematically. Is it worth it? Might be fun to work out his alienation as you level.

Background exile? Or is the drow too tainted by terrible players to even consider?
>>
>>52442568

if you want to do ranger/rogue and be strength based for some weird reason you just need a finesse weapon (rapier) that you use with strength instead of dexterity. you'll still get sneak attack and you'll still have high strength which is a thing for you i guess
>>
>>52442568
Dual wielding is fine.
Compared to a bow ranger, it ends up being mediocre, but it can do it's job just fine.
I'd suggest dropping the rpgue multiclass, since rangers get Hunter's Mark which acts as a mini sneakattack.
If you want more single target damage, then try out the Monster Slayer ranger archetype from the new UA.
These make it so you don't have to rely on finesse weapons to coax out those extra d6's.
>>
>>52442601

Max Dex. Max Wis. Those will be your best options very often. If you play by point buy and go a good race (something that gives you +2 to Dex/Wis or at least +1 to both) you can still get two feats with that. Mobile is probably one of the better ones but you can probably do something with a few of the others too.

Pick whatever subclass really. Except 4 elements.
>>
>>52442601
Hit people and run the fuck away after. Tabaxi, Wood Elf and Human with Mobile are all a good choices for race. Max Dex and Wis asap.

Kensai is the best way to go if you want damage, 5d6+15 damage a turn with a greatsword is bonkers and gets better with GWM.

Open Hand is the best at control for obvious reasons.

Long Death is tanky.

Shadow is sneak.

Sun Soul and Tranquility are kinda weird but not awful. Ranged attacks with Sun Soul make your squishiness less of a burden.

Elemental is complete shit.
>>
>>52442620
The most important part of Sunlight Sensitivity is that either you or your target has to be in DIRECT sunlight in order to grant disadvantage.
Like the Spartans of yore, fight from the shade.

Drow can be done well, just try not to make Drizz't 2.0
>>
PLEASE GIVE ME VOLO DIGITAL MAPS
>>
Is Inquisitive Rogue any good? Kinda want to build a Rogue / Cleric (like Arcane Trickster but with divine magic).
>>
what's the deal with the false identity feat for charlatan background?

when do i roll deception checks for that?
is it whenever im trying to convince someone i am who i say i am or just for special things?
if the former then what's the difference between false identity and just a disguise?
>>
>>52442771
Inquisitive is only good for 3 level dip imo
>>
>>52442771
Inquisitive is pretty good. It's like Swashbuckler where it can get sneak attack with even less trouble, though in this case you use a bonus action to "mark" a target instead.
>>
>>52442803
Basically? You don't, unless that person has met you before. And even then, you'd probably have to be examined closely, depending on how deep the false identity goes.
>>
>>52442803
Think of it as a much more thorough disguise.

A disguise is shit the second someone asks around about you.
A false identity holds up even if someone asks around town who you are because presumably youve used it for long enough.

>anon the merchant asks to borrow some gold
>mark asks around, nobody heard of anon the merchant
Vs
>anon the merchant asks for a loan
>mark asks around town, people say theyve seen you around doing merchant stuff, the disguise still is working
>>
>>52442805
So 3 level of Rogue and the rest in Cleric?
>>
>>52442803
That's something your DM would put on you. As it is, I interpret it as being able to take on a watertight persona unless you did something obviously out of character.
>>
A level 3 drow warlock learns Fairy Fire from a racial trait. Can he cast that spell with his pact magic slots?
>>
>>52442664
I thought Kensai wasn't that great, as a Kensai weapon doesn't also count as a monk weapon for the purpose of flurry and stuff like that?
>>
>>52442857
RAW, I don't think so; it doesn't say you learn the spell, it says you can cast it once per day. That said, I'd allow it - one extra spell known isn't going to break the game over it's knee.
>>
>>52440339
>How do the gods/deities in your universe interact with the people? Do they make godly appearances or act from behind the scenes?

After making people and then fighting a war amongst themselves and the future rulers of Hell, the Gods decided to put an Interdiction in place that would prevent casual planar travel. This was to prevent Hell from conquering the world, but it also meant they couldn't directly help either. Only working through agents (Clerics, Warlocks, etc) can the Gods or Hell intervene, and Spells that summon things are explicitly loopholes mortals later figured out.
>>
>>52442766
Kek the one I wanted was the only one in the mega
>>52442857
yes
>>
>>52442929
>>52442907
thanks
>>
Want to play a melee ranger,

Should I go snb, greatsword, or dual wield? DM said I can pick gwf as my style if I chose to go two hander

What about polearm master ranger? Feel like that bonus action competition with hunters mark would suck
>>
>play dnd with online friends
>really want to be a dm for irl friends
>so little friends and they're all probably uninterested or busy

Such is life.
>>
>>52440918
>but at the same time requires they fail a save and be charmed, then fail another save to die. Fuck if I know if it's balanced.
Well, there's charm immunity for starters, then you have to find someone without legendary resistance, THEN they have to fail 2 saving throws. Anything that fails 2 saving throws in a row is dead anyway, that's Contagion tier of 'you're dead'.
>>
File: tmp_23664-67Z4xI-549912779.gif (6MB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23664-67Z4xI-549912779.gif
6MB, 400x267px
So how game breaking would it be if monks could learn 'secret techniques' like pic related? Naturally they'd all require ki points and use your martial arts for damage rolls, in addition to you having to actually find the master of said technique and train under them to learn it.
>>
>>52443045
If you go to a college start a club or something. You're guaranteed to get people to show up.

I'm planning on practicing DMing with my online friends first and then moving to that.
>>
File: vikin.jpg (9KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
vikin.jpg
9KB, 183x275px
Can someone tell me why would anyone ever play the rogue Archetype "Thief" when Arcane Trickster does everything a thief does with his mage hand, from range, with an invisible hand + they get magic like invisibility, blur, etc + spell thief
>>
How does Monster Slayer stack up against Hunter and Deep Stalker?
>>
>>52443062
Sounds like a bitchin Prestige Class.
>>
>>52443083
Magic Item heavy game where you would want to use the Thief's bonus action to activate all kinds of shenanigans. Rare, but valid.
>>
>>52442868
They said it's supposed to but they fucked up writing it. So RAI it should but for now RAW it doesn't.
>>
>>52443083
Ability to use every spell scroll and artifact like moonblade without having to be a sissy elf.
>>
>>52443062
Could introduce such techniques to martials in general in the same way scrolls work for casters.
>>
>>52443103
DMG specifically called out that magic item activation isn't a "use an object" action.
>>
>>52443083
Climb speed, advantage on stealth checks, using any magic item and the capstone is much better then Spell Thief.

Also something people forget is spellcasting like Invisibility and Blur both require an action which would be better spent sneak attacking a bitch.

Lastly they don't require rests, people don't want to hear the Rogue bitching about rests when he should be disarming traps and sneaking around.
>>
What's the most mechanically unusual and enjoyable class in 5e? Wizard seems boringly straightforward.
>>
>>52443103
>>52443106
These, Use Magic Device can be hilariously OP in the right hands, and Magic Devices should be relatively easy to acquire as a master of stealing things.
Plus that climbing/jumping buff can come in handy.
>>
whats the go to muscle wizard build these days?

Eldritch Knight Still?
>>
>>52443147
Mystic seems pretty fun and versatile. They can be built a LOT of ways, but will rarely overshadow a character specialized in that area (a healer mystic won't perform better than a Life cleric, for example).

They're also easy to refluff. Don't want to be psychic? Learn some goetic seals of binding and recreate the 3.5 binder, or collect magical implements and be a PF occultist.
>>
>>52443147
Revised Ranger with Deepstalker.

Thief.

Barbarians actually can be a very unusual style to play because you have to decide the right time to use abilities. Zealot also doesn't have a steep price for dying so sometimes sacrificing yourself is the best idea.

Stone Sorcerer gives some weird shit.
>>
>>52443157
Mountain Dwarf Abjuration Wizard.
>>
>>52443138
>advantage on stealth checks
AT's familiar says hi.
>>
>>52443170
Aren't Mystics the new Psions?
>>
File: file.png (24KB, 301x165px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
24KB, 301x165px
>>52443171
What kind of action is this on the Zealot anyways?
>>
>>52443196
It's Psions,Soul Knife,Psychic Warrior and Ardent all roll into one.
>>
>>52443196
Yes and no. That's their default flavor, but their mechanics are more unique to the class as opposed to previous editions psionics being spells-but-different. And having refluff options ready may help getting them into a game where the DM/other players have the 'tism about psionics in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>52443181
Just because Rogues get tricks to survive AoE's, doesn't mean any Familiar will.

Also being shut down from accessing your Subclass abilities when denied Components pouch or forced into an area of Silence isn't great. I'm not saying that Thief is better then AT, but there are perfectly good reasons not to play one and it won't stop you being effective.

>>52443205
An action? Like it says?
>>
>>52443205
> As an action

>>52443147
Druid. Because you get more mechanic due to Wild Shape.
>>
>>52443223
Druids are fucking garbage though.
>>
>>52443235
Please can we not do this again?
>>
>>52443235
Here a (You)
>>
>>52443098
>>52443109
Yeah I think that some basic shit like a Hadoken technique that allows you to make Martial Arts attacks with a range of like 30 feet or so, or archetype-specific stuff like Shadow monks could get a substitution or fire damage jutsu.
>>
With the planeshift things coming out for each Magic set they do I thought I'd drop this here.

http://imgur.com/a/rip5M

Chances are we'll get one for it with races, monsters, some lore and maybe some character options. Sounds like a cool setting.
>>
>>52443138
>>52443221

Arcane Tricksters can use their mage-hands to use potions on anyone within range.
"mage hand allows you to pour the contents out of a vial." > AT can use this as a bonus action.

Thiefs cannot even use fast hands to use potions because they fall under "magical items"

(According to sage advice)

So and several magical item restrictions are lifted from Arcane Tricksters because they are spellcasters.

Honestly they just need to buff Thief its ridiculously imbalanced as it stands.

"Thiefs get better stealth!"
ATs get Invisibility and blur and illusions.
"Thiefs get to use items and thieves tools!"
ATs get to use items, magical items, thieves tools from range with an invisible hand.

Thieves... err
"ATs get magic"
>>
>>52440615
I'm sorry, I thought this was D and Fucking D. I thought you were supposed to make your own goddamn setting like you had a fucking imagination.
>>
>>52443341
>ATs get Invisibility and blur and illusions.
Once again, require an action better spent.

They will never buff Thief even thought it is weaker for three reasons.

Firstly the core Rogue is already strong, subclasses are just gravy.

Secondly they can't balance every single option. Monks, Sorcerers and Rangers are higher priotity and it makes no sense to buff something that's already a good option just because there's a better one.

Thirdly some people would rather not use magic and like the things Thief gets. Personally Thief is my favorite option and I love having a climb speed, being able to jump, use any magic device and have Advantage on stealth. I like Arcane Trickster as well but I'd much rather be a Thief.
>>
>>52443254
I think the best, most concrete way to implement that across classes/archetypes without interrupting the current class progressions is to make it a feat. A feat that is basically a list of maneuvers or invocations. Hell, you could even take it multiple times to get additional techniques.

Problem is, to make it worth it you should really be able to get at least two. Probably the number of maneuvers the battlemaster maneuver feat gives you. But that doesn't mesh with the methods of acquiring them you're shooting for- kind of lame to find a master and he teaches you two techniques at once. I think it would be valid to take the feat as representation of having learned them in the past, and the techniques would also be a form of treasure or reward a DM could throw into a town.
>>
>>52443341
>>52443398
I personally think Thieves just need something pertaining to judging item value and being able to fence them properly, like maybe you get a partner/personal flunkie who's good at hauling and turning loot into dosh, or a reliable underworld contact who you can call upon for favors.
That or the ability to flawlessly conceal stuff on their person.
>>
>>52443502
Those would be cool ideas. I feel like an "Improved Expertise" where you can choose two more skills would be another simple buff.
>>
>>52443502
Criminal contact feature in the criminal background would cover that, and remember that you can construct your own backgrounds if you like that feature but not the rest of the stuff in that background.
Second part would be sleight of hand at my table, you could have put your expertise into it. But I understand that you're saying automatic success for certain items as a class feature.
>>
>>52443398

This is a very good summation.

What would balance them out somewhat with GM fiat. Is if your magic hand could get objects out of your bag or from other people but you would have to use a full action to Use Object.
But let thieves with "Fast Hands" but get the object out (assuming its something small they could have on their belt like ball bearing or a flask of oil) and use it with the same bonus action.

Would differentiate them well: Arcane Trickster has strengths of having a flying invisible invulnurable hand doing things from a distance, but Thieves could use things better and faster.

Batman vs Constantine
>>
>>52443398
>Secondly they can't balance every single option

You can say that again!
>>
>>52443254
If they need to find a master to teach them a technique, it falls under story/roleplaying rewards. Just figure out the mechanics of the power you want to give and what they should do to convince this master to teach them.
>>
>>52443591
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, any sort of technique I mentioned would take at least a month of training.
I'd probably toss the Monk an extra ki point for effort as well.
>>
>>52443062
What kind of effects are you thinking of?
>boost strength to 24 for one non-attack action
>give advantage on an attack roll/tumble through an enemy square/etc
>make a non-monk weapon a monk weapon for a day (does this step on kensai's toes?)
>get an extra reaction
>"cast" the jump spell on yourself
etc
>>
>>52443341
> The hand can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Also it cost you 2 bonus action (one draw the vial) and probably an action (unless you spam mage hand outside of combat with that verbal component)
>>
Can I play a homebrew Illithid Mystic? I'm between this and hobgoblin.
>>
>>52443341
> Mage Hand specifically state that you can't activate magic item with it
> Durrhurr Thief can't activate a potion because it's a magic item but Mage Hand could!

Are you a retard?
>>
>>52443642
Would you plan on giving only one of those techniques to the monk, or would they have the chance to learn more? How many? If it's a bunch, sure, they get the power plus one extra Ki point per power learned. If they're only getting the one, I'd consider giving them extra Ki points equal to their Wisdom mod.
>>
>>52443689
thats a question you should ask your DM, and not us
>>
>>52443656
I like these. But yeah I was thinking
>'charge' for 1 turn, unleash 1 martial arts damage die of force damage per ki point spent next turn in a line
>non-shadow monks can learn to 'throw' their Unarmed attacks up to 30 feet, think Hadoken or other SF projectiles, costs no ki
>cast Fly, 3-5 ki points
>buff damage and AC temporarily, requires a hit die in addition to ki (think Kaioken)
>>
>>52443731
He's cool with it. I just don't know if it makes sense. Which order would fit Illithid the most?
>>
>>52443689
Why are you asking us you daft cunt
>>
>>52443742
Read the post above you newfriend :^)
>>
>>52443689
Play a human.
>>
>>52443757
I refuse to ever play a human in any rpg.
>>
File: Untitled-7_50low.jpg (338KB, 1186x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-7_50low.jpg
338KB, 1186x1600px
The problem behind how they designed warlocks is this:

Patrons act as subclasses from other classes "Archfey vs Fiend" are "Battlemaster vs Champion"

The problem is that there is no real gameplay difference between the difference patrons. So in the end it comes down to numbers, what gives me the most bang for my buck?
Usually Fiend.

Secondly they try to fix this by adding in "Patron specific invocations" which make no sense: Why is Fiend (literally satan) the one that lets you save yourself in a big block of ice?

So 2 things right off the bat:

Patrons need to be more thematic:
Fiends you go big bad blasty.
Archfey you go mobile trickster.
Old One is charming and mind control.
Hexblade rename "Hexbringer" and theme it towards debuffing targets, give them a special trait that lets them have multiple concentrations up under special circumstances.
Undying needs to be necromancer.
Raven Queen is shadow monk but warlock themed.

Or just scrap everyone beyond the first 4, nothing is really lost.

Secondly remove Invocation restrictions, theres no point to them.

Thirdly give the warlock a way to change their invocation other than leveling up. multiple days of conversing with their patron or doing a quest(dm fiat) but there needs to be a way to change them other than leveling up.

Balance the Pacts:

Tome - Its great, leave it as it is.

Blade - Give it everything HexWarrior gave to Hexblade and have it increase the Warlocks hit-dies from d8 to d10s

Chains - Allow warlocks to use Find Familiar + 4 bonus options.
OR
You entreat your patron to send you a servant to aid you. You get to summon a creature you control with a CR rating appropriate to your level after a long rest. If it dies you lose it and can try to summon it again during a long rest + material cost.
>>
>>52443767
Just because you don't have any skill or interesting stories doesn't mean all humans are like that.
>>
>>52443752
You area a piece of shit
>>
>>52443778
Nah, just a vow I made when I was like 6 years old.
>>
>>52443775
In Dante's Inferno, Satan is encased in ice in the lowest circle of Hell
>>
>>52443775
>Why is Fiend (literally satan) the one that lets you save yourself in a big block of ice?
Because I'm sure at least one fiend rathers icy torment then forever burning?
>>
>>52443775
oh great, more blade pact wankery
>>
>>52443775
Hexblade is the fix for Bladelock. Elemental Weapon and 3 Invocations gives you a higher DPR then most other classes.

Other Warlocks are perfectly fine if you play them as they are. A ranged martial that uses Charisma, spell slots are for the occasional control spell of more likely a Hex and invocations are your Utility.
>>
>>52443711
It wouldn't be a one-time thing, I'd probably allow 1 new technique per tier of play, maybe 2. That way they'd have the opportunity to learn a variety of moves ranging from notKamehamehas to notDBZ Flight to notKaioken
>>
what's wrong with being a dick and suffering the consequences, i never whined about the consequences, just stated my reality.
why would anyone care about it at all, if the dm did what he had to and stopped caring afterwards, it's not like a major offense to all dms in the universe, gee.

i know i'll never get to play my special snowflake homebrew bullshit, not because people hate fun, but because no one has to cater to me at all. and it's ok, i'll live with that just fine.
>>
File: 12314.jpg (309KB, 1200x869px) Image search: [Google]
12314.jpg
309KB, 1200x869px
>>52443793
>>52443803

Well why cant roots spring from the ground and surround the Warlock in a wooden coccoon if youre Archfey patroned

Or Tentacles from the nethers if youre Great Old one etc.

Its an incredibly useful Invocation. It should not be limited to just the Fiend, the fiend already has pretty much the best overall Invocations, only rivaled by Archfey, meanwhile Raven Queen, Undying or any of the newer patrons dont have shit. SO theres no reason to play them (other than Hexblade which should be part of Pact of the blade anyway)

Hex bringer:
Hex is now an at will and no longer requires concentration from you. If however you change the target of your hex, your previous target is no longer hexed.
- Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
- You gain bonus to damage rolls against the target equal to your proficiency bonus.
LATER LEVELS you regain temporary hit points if you bring the targets health to 0 equal to your charisma modifier.

Shadow Hound as an action or as a bonus action you can send your shadow inside the shadow of another being you see within 60 feet and you know the distance and direction to the target even if it is hidden.
LATER LEVELS this becomes truesight of the target.

Pact of the Blade:
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, heavy armor, shields, and martial weapons. In addition, when attacking with a melee weapon that you are proficient with, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.
You can instantly create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Your Hit die go from d8 to d10
>>
>>52443923
Fucking retarded compared to what the other two pacts give.
>>
>>52440339
Why the fuck hasn't anyone mentioned that with the Way of the Drunken Master and Oath of Redemption, you could play 90s era Jackie Chan?
>Way of the Drunken Master says nothing about actually being drunk or acting drunk per se. Just erratic movements. Drunken Technique, Tipsy Sway, and Intoxicated Frenzy = frantic dodging and misdirection when greatly outnumbered
>Oath of Redemption's Warrior of Reconciliation = martial arts + improvised weapons only. Armor of Peace = Getting the shit punched out of him but staying standing. Tenets of Redemption = "I don't want no trabble."
Result: https://youtu.be/DrRFzwPE0d4?t=48
>>
File: Floating_Castles.jpg (154KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Floating_Castles.jpg
154KB, 1280x960px
Hello /5eg/. Recently my players have completed LMoP, we've branched off into my own custom campaign that spans the Sword Coast. I have a Wizard, a Warlock and an Artificer in the group that have expressed interest in making Tresender Manor, a location of LMoP float like a netherese city from old.

The question I have for you, is how would they achieve such a thing? I am rather uncertain myself but have had a sit down at our last session with them on how they would achieve such a thing.

- Permanent Levitation spells, mixed with permanent flying, mixed with the Artificers constructive ability to develop some sort of engine system. Is what they have jointly concluded.

Is this possible? Levitation carries roughly 1000lbs of weight before its unmovable. Coupled with Fly to be able to move the small Mansion plus whatever creativity my Artificer can devise.

How would you construct a floating mansion for your players?
What type of spells or rulesets would be most fair and beneficial for them?
Is there some resource I could possibly look into?

At the moment they are level 6 each, but my players have aspirations for the future. So I hope to put into motion a long term development for them to actually get this thing off the ground, pun intended.
>>
>>52440339
>How do the gods/deities in your universe interact with the people? Do they make godly appearances or act from behind the scenes?
My setting does not have real gods. Divine magic is just a different sort of magic that relies more on willpower than ritual.
Of course, this does not mean there are no religions.
>inb4 edgy atheist
I just thought it would be interesting to have a D&D setting without deities for a change.
>>
>>52443923
That's way too fucking much man. Look at what a level 5 Hexblade can already do now.

Hex or Elemental Weapon, two attacks, using Charisma Modifier, getting a +1 Magic Weapon and you have AC equal to what a Monk, Cleric, Rogue and Druid get.

You are dealing 2d8+2d6+10. Elemental Weapon trades the 2d6 to 2d4 in exchange for another +1 to hit on top of the +1 Magic Weapon

A fighter with a Sword and Shield is doing an average of 21 damage a round. You are doing 24 with +2 to hit and have a spare invocation. You're not even meant to be a front line character and you have that.
>>
>>52443964
Probably simply can't. Not even Cloud Giants know how to make new flying castles
>>
Not to be ungrateful, but can we get a higher resolution pdf of The Yawning Portal than whats in the archive?
>>
File: stealthdwarf.jpg (178KB, 519x705px) Image search: [Google]
stealthdwarf.jpg
178KB, 519x705px
>>52443998
Hello and thank you for the reply. I never even thought to look into Cloud Palace construction, even though it is not known to my players.

I fear my group is a rather persistent bunch and will attempt to devise methods to achieve their goals. They're that kind of hard headed band that will sit down and think things out for a week in-game before moving on their desired target or location.

In short, well that's sure going to fucking suck for them. Thanks again. Oh, but I wouldn't mind hearing anyone else 2-cents on the matter.
>>
Could someone link a functioning Glorantha/Heroquest fodler? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52444162
Sorry wrong thread, just ignore or delete, please.
>>
>>52443737
>cast Fly, 3-5 ki points
3, no more. They are too hungry for Ki points as is.

>>52443964
You know how the Netherese made their flying cities? IIRC they had to use 10th level spells, stuff that is literally NO LONGER POSSIBLE after Mystra's ban on any magic above 9th level. If you want them to get it, firstly they can't enchant it by themselves. It is beyond their capabilities. They need to find some other powerful as fuck spellcasters (several of them) and convince them to help, paying for their efforts. They'd have to go look through ruins so old and dangerous that most treasure hunters prefer to avoid, in order to discover how to craft this spell of crazy magnitude. It obviously would have very rare material components necessary for the casting, etc, etc. You get my drift.

Essentially you have a plot hook that will last you at least until the third tier of play (levels 11-16).
>>
Uh does Psionic Blast from the psychic assault discipline not have a save or attack roll?
>>
>>52444126
It's your world. If you want to let your players be able to build a flying castle somehow, go ahead.
>>
>>52444190
Nope. It's not as good as Magic Missile though.
>>
>>52444190
Nope. It's the mystic equivalent of Magic Missile.
>>
>>52444197
>>52444204
Yea guess it's just a worse magic missle now that I look at it

Building a mystic right meow and it's pretty overwhelming with all the options. I need to be a frontliner melee tank who can be sneaky so I went Immortal, only picked out the healing discipline and mastery of air so far and I have no idea what I wanna take

Diminuition or nomadic chameleon? Both help me be a sneaky cunt but I dunno which to take
>>
>>52444182
Haha, yeah I get it. I just like to hear it from someone elses mouth, you know?

The complications of them performing such a feat is well beyond them, but this may just be a plot hook they want to weave themselves into.

I find it rather comfortable that this new group I'm DMing for isn't "oh so random xD" and takes their sweet ass time performing tasks for my NPCs. When they had learned of Venomfangs existance in LMoP they watched him for a Month in-game time before acting. Devising a strategy out of fear that the dragon was more intelligent than them. It was quite the game of intrigue.

>>52444191
Of course, but while I let my players devise their own course without railroading, I also need to limit what they can possibly do. It's why I was asking opinions. While letting them have a flying manor would be fun, it would also re-fashion how they move and interact with the sword coast. Which... I've already made quite a few brainstorms of scenarios long term... but... hey. It sounds a little Overpowered for our heroes who haven't reached level 10, you know?

Thanks again guys. Sorry for the long winded replies.
>>
>>52444182
Thanks, 3 seemed fair enough. The training to learn to fly would be rigorous enough, no sense in punishing them for learning something that difficult.
>>
>>52444228
Between Nomadic Chameleon and Diminution, the former is better for straight-up stealth but Diminution is probably better/more fun overall. Also, Nomadic Chameleon isn't an Immortal discipline, so you couldn't have both it and Mastery of Air at 1st level.

If you're building a frontliner you should definitely pick up Bestial Form and Iron Durability at some point. Crown of Rage's psychic focus is handy for tanking too.
>>
>>52440339
>improvised weapon: clothes iron on a stick
>>
How much WIS do I actually need on a Ranger?
>>
>>52444368
Melee or Ranged? Ranged wants it more for the combat spells but can handle having less CON in exchange.
>>
>>52444368
What are you trying to be good at?
>>
>>52444368
Since you generally need to bump up your combat stats, you don't need any WIS at all except for the saves. Just don't focus on spells that require saving.
>>
>>52444376
>>52444379
I don't have a build in mind, I was just looking at Ranger and thought to myself that WIS doesn't seem to do much on it despite technically being a key score.
>>
>>52444390
You can easily get away with 8 in WIS. The only downsides are that you WILL get charmed or magically controlled at some point, and you're going to be a blind oaf who's not very good at survival at all.
>>
>>52443986
>Hex or Elemental Weapon, two attacks, using Charisma Modifier, getting a +1 Magic Weapon
Not unless you've managed to loot one, you're not. Two attacks *or* +1 Magic weapon; they both need you to be level 5, and you've only got one new slot to spend on them.
>>
>>52444440
Alright level 6 you can get the +1 Pact weapon. Still a perfectly okay character who will vastly outshine a lot of people at high levels and works even better then most with PAM.
>>
>>52440771
this is someone's fetish. Someone will sit, elatedly beating their meat at their computer, in the dark, tears streaming down their cheeto dust stained mug. and they'll be looking at this gif.
>>
>>52444440
You do know you can change an old invocation in right?
>>
Anyone created any interesting items with infuse magic on the Artificer? I've been trying to come up with a list of increasingly more funnier ones.

>Alarm that goes off when you open a tin can that says "Peanuts" on it.
>A knife that cures wounds when you stab someone with it.
>A washcloth that uses disguise self to wash people's faces off.
>Size Zero dress that enlarges you when you wear it.
>Trumpet of Invisibility
>Anchor of Levitation
>Glasses of Blink. You Blink when you Blink while wearing them.
>Extremely heavy rock of Flying. You can fly, but you have to be holding the rock.
>Bullet of Gaseous Form, when you shoot someone with it they explode into gas.
>Greathammer of Revivification. When you smash a corpse with it they come back to life.
>Swimming Trunks of Waterwalking. Good luck swimming in these bad boys.

My artificer is a dick so he made all of these, set up a Needful things in a small human town, handed them out for free, then left and wished them the best.
>>
Why is everyone saying Raven Queen is a horrible warlock patron?

You get darkvision, free familiar that comes back on short rest, you get to see through their eyes.

at 6 you get free fly and depending on how you read it, immunity to harmful spells and effects while in raven form.

10 you get a bunch of resistances and advantage.

14 you get 1 use of finger of death.

Why is it bad?

Whats better?
>>
>>52444593
because it's warlock
>>
>>52444454
>eating cheetos with coffee
This is the real head scratcher.
>>
>>52444620
Mug means face, anon.
>>
Does 5e have rules for playing as a Lich yet?
>>
>>52444674
Yeah. You become a chaotic evil NPC under the control of the DM.
>>
>>52444693
I think any kind of evil
>>
>>52444674
Well, there's always the magic jar version. But officially? No not really. You can always ask your DM to come up with a ritual you need to complete to be a Lich, but don't expect any power boost. The closest thing to a lich that's official would be the Revenant Race, because they come back to life when they die until they've completed their mission.
>>
File: immortal wizards.jpg (781KB, 925x2272px) Image search: [Google]
immortal wizards.jpg
781KB, 925x2272px
>>52444674
>being a lich when you could be an immortal superbaby
shiggy diggy
>>
>>52444730
I used Clone and had one for each member of my party, but I hated the Rogue, so I made his as young as possible, which was "Literally just after being born" baby age. Like, 5 minutes old. When he finally died, he took advantage of his new baby form by waiting in the middle of the street till someone felt sorry for him and picked him up. He pickpocketed them. Then when they took him back home or to an orphanage, he looted the place, killed the inhabitants, and burned it down, then did the same again the next day. We bought a mansion with the earnings from this, but fuck it was a cold move.
>>
>>52444593
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf
The familiar isn't a familiar so familiar things don't apply to it, making it worse than an actual familiar
And everyone's got darkvision already
>>
About Dual Wielder's third benefit:
>You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

I'm a DM who doesn't really care about the whole drawing/stowing rules and generally let everyone draw what they need or switch weapons. What could I add to the feat in place of that?
>>
>>52440739
You're a big guy
>>
>>52444593
People tend to forget to actually Roleplay and don't realize that while she doesn't give the best bonuses when compared to other patrons, she gives you unique roleplay opportunities and easier access to neutral-good aligned characters that make a lot of sense.
>>
>>52444883
4u
>>
>>52444869
Some sort of scaling around 11 maybe?

I mean, it's a lot better benefit than the drawing/stowing thing, but TWF not scaling at all makes it pretty meh.
>>
>>52440573
This is the first time it has been conveyed in true clarity, just how painful my D&D character's life would be.
>>
>>52444885
>people tend to forget to be slavishly devoted to fluff text

here, fixed that for you
>>
>>52444901
you know you're playing a role playing game right? Not just big number simulator? No?
>>
giant ape
>>
>>52444920
sovereign glue
>>
File: 1389793844235.jpg (93KB, 560x626px) Image search: [Google]
1389793844235.jpg
93KB, 560x626px
>>52444908
me irl (with bret hart)
>>
>>52444908
Is that the extent of your abilities? That can not be.

There must be more.

Stop holding back. Give it your all. I can't take you seriously until you do.

TROLL ME 100%
>>
>>52440705
I like my rogue, but my DM a shit and does stealth horrifically wrong, so my double proficiency only goes so far.
>>
>>52444901
>slavishly devoted to fluff text
I'd rather have a warlock devoting time into building a character around fluff that slavishly devoting himself to being dickweed #5061 who sets everything on fire and kills people because demonic patron #501813 told him too.

Raven Queen > Other Patrons from the sole reason that it's inherently flexible when it comes to playing out an alignment. It's going to be very easy justifying the choice to burn down the nearby orphanage when your power stems from Baa'Rogol, Seventh Hellfire Prince of Destruction.
>>
>>52444937
>that slavishly
than*
>>52444937
>Raven Queen > Other Patrons from
for*
>>
>>52444937
>Raven Queen > Other Patrons from the sole reason that it's inherently flexible when it comes to playing out an alignment.

Only if you are
>slavishly devoted to flavor text

The moment you realize that a patron, nay, a class is just a collection of themed abilities, you are free from shit like that.
>>
What are some good ways to stop people from killing the lich permanently? I was thinking having a room filled with millions of replicas of phylacteries. And having the real phylactery be a small hollow copper ball on the necklace around your neck, which the players won't take because it's not a magic item, but if they do then you can pop back into existence when they're not prepared
>>
>>52444942
thank you, herr krautzwitz. Your Grammar Nazism was invaluable to this conversation.

>>52444951
A patron is both a collection of abilities and roleplay opportunities in one. You must strike a balance between the two if you want to play effectively, or your DM will fuck you ten ways till sunday because you went against your patron and lost all your powers.
>>
new thread?
>>
>>52444968
we're only on page two lad. we'll be here for a good while yet.
>>
SO, what is the hardest material in any dnd setting?

Also, was there ever a magic glass eye item?
>>
>>52444966
Good RPer will refluff patron to fit their alignment anyway. Only idiot get their thinking frame by class name or ability name.
>>
>>52444966
>A patron is both a collection of abilities and roleplay opportunities in one. You must strike a balance between the two if you want to play effectively, or your DM will fuck you ten ways till sunday because you went against your patron and lost all your powers.

You (that is, you and the DM) can make your own roleplay opportunities. In fact, if you are playing in a setting where some patrons may not exist, you must.

You can like the fluff (or as you call it "roleplay opportunities") of a patron, but it's the most mutable, most easy and most often replaced part of the thing, with the least consistent effect it has on games.
>>
>>52444985
Unsure about the hardest material, but 5e has the Eyes of Charming, the Eyes of Minute Seeing and the Eyes of the Eagle.
>>
>>52445005
Yes, that's correct, but clearly this person gives no shits about their Patron anyway. They're just playing big number simulator.
>>
>>52445018
>if you make your own fluff instead of just what the book says you must play, you are just playing big number simulator

ps. nobody who wants to play big number simulator plays warlock.
>>
So I've only just gotten into 5th ed, my usual system is Pathfinder. The GM and majority of players are completely new to tabletop RPing. Before I joined the party, the comp was two bards, a wizard, a druid and a ranger. So in response I've built a Warforged Fighter, the GM only letting me go off core book because I have experience and they trust me.

I've gone Great Weapon Fighting with wielding either a Greatsword or a Heavy Crossbow depending on the range. 4th Level Fighter with 18str, 14dex, and 18con. Battle Master with currently Riposte, Feinting Attack and Distracting Strike as my maneuvers.

What kinda stuff should I be looking for to add a bit more punch to what I picture to end up being quite a tanky build, since most of the party are squishy casters. Like, should I pick up a level in another class, or not bother?
>>
>>52445008
>least consistent effect it has on games
It'll still effect the game in a large way, anon. It's a massively powerful creature giving you power in exchange for service. The stuff you do in game will likely be dictated by it.
>>
>>52445032
That's pretty good. Seems ready to play.
>>
>>52445032
>multiple 18's at 4th

wow, you really do come from pathfinder and im sure you "rolled" for stats and got ub34 lucky hehe xd lole
>>
>>52445033
>It'll still effect the game in a large way, anon.

In a large non-mechanical way. If you keep it as is. Which you don't need to. This is what being "fluff" means.
>>
>>52445088
That's the point. D&D isn't all about mechanics.
>>
>>52445032
>>52445082
The party described doesn't need a martial character anyway.

>>52445088
Play video games then.
>>
>>52445082
i mean i got 2 16s and put them in STR and CON, warforged gets +1 to both, and my 4th advancement I put one in each. My mental stats are garbo. But have fun shitposting jimmy.
>>
>>52445099
The reasons to buy/play D&D are all about the mechanics though. There's definitely no reason to stick to the D&D system for the D&D fluff.

>>52445132
Videogames actually don't have mutable fluff. That's one of the things that makes them different from RPGs.
>>
File: 1412077690133.png (325KB, 419x500px) Image search: [Google]
1412077690133.png
325KB, 419x500px
>>52445032
Lose Feinting and Distracting, take Precision and either Trip or Goading. Trip won't be so good for ranged combatants, but it gives advantage to the rest of your attacks.

Heavy Crossbow is fine for now, but once you hit level 5 and gain Extra Attack, Javelins or a Longbow will be better ranged options - Javelins key off STR, while Longbow is usable with your additional attacks without need for a feat.

Stick to fighter at least until level 5; 11 is optimal since that's when you get your second Extra Attack and not much in the way of features afterwards, but be mindful of multiclassing stat requirements. Also, the reason to mc out of Fighter earlier than that is to gain utility/versatility, as three attacks per action plus the extra ASIs are not something you can easily beat in terms of adding punch.

Great Weapon Fighting + Greatsword + Great Weapon Master feat makes you a big hitter that enemies can't ignore, and that loves to receive caster buffs. The alternative if you want to be more of a wall to cover the backline would be grabbing the Polearm Master and Sentinel feats - you cover a wider area, provoke AoOs if the enemy enter it or attack another party member (note you only get 1 opportunity attack per round in 5e), and if you hit they have to hold in place. Add Trip and they'll have to stay down until their next turn, since standing back up costs movement.
>>
>>52445133
>i mean i got 2 16s

That means you rolled.

The basic assumption of the game is that you'll begin with two stats at 16 at best after racials.
>>
>>52445219

Yeah, I rolled, because it's what the GM asked me to do. I usually don't roll for my stats, usually use point buy with a limited budget.
>>
>>52445193
Anon, the reasons to play D&D in the first place is the fluff. The whole point is to feel like a badass adventurer in a fantasy world of rich story and setting. The Fluff is what players want, the Mechanics are how they get to it.
>>
>>52445229
> Letting DM who is new to tabletop roll for stats

You should actually try to explain to them that monster CR are calculate based on 4 players using stat array. Rolling for stat could break that balance and make it harder for him to find the right challenge to the party to make the combat fun or interesting.

As for your question, stick with Fighter a bit more. At least until your second ability score improvement and take Sentinel.
>>
>>52445219
>The basic assumption of the game is that you'll begin with two stats at 16 at best after racials.

Says who? That's not in the PHB at all, and one of the first things it teaches complete newbies is how to roll for stats.
>>
>>52445306
The PHB explicitly recommends using the Standard Array.
>>
>>52445328
Recommends, doesn't tell you to.
>>
>>52445347
Right, rolling for stats isn't disallowed or anything. After all, 5e is something of a retro-edition, so they had to include the option.

I personally prefer rolling, for various non-rational reasons, but I'm not gonna pretend that the math wasn't made for the Array.
>>
>>52445303

I mean, I'm new to 5th ed too, and the other characters were already built a few weeks before I joined in. And I mean, so far we're having fun, so that's all that really matters. He seems to be getting encounter difficulty pretty nice. He's letting us have rests a bit too often though I think, casters haven't had to worry about spell preservation and I've never gone down below two superiority dice.
>>
>>52445306
They did that to appease the angry spirit of old manchildren neckbeard who want to roll for stats and whine when they get "bad" array.
>>
>>52445328
Where's the recommendation? I can't find it, just that the array is a variant compared to the normal rolling.
>>
Should I take sleep or the shield spell for my level 1 Stone Sorcerer?
The other spell will be thunderous smite, and I have 18 Con and a shield, giving me 19 AC at level 1.
>>
guys guys guys my group is starting a new campaign on Sunday and I'm so unbelievably HYPED
>>
>>52445506
sleep is pretty strong at lower levels, but so is shield
>>
>>52445513
Good for you. Our group has been waiting to play for TWO WEEKS BECAUSE OUR DM IS GOING THROUGH EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS. I'M DYING.
>>
>>52445373
>>52445513
Good shit, be sure to report back about what you felt about the system as a player.
>>
Guys (did I just assume genders?? ) does anyone have a trove with DM's Guild stuff?? or at least heores of the orient??
>>
>>52445506
>18 con at level 1
>Rolling for stats

In any case, my first two spells were shield and thunderous smite.
>>
>>52445535
we've been playing 5e since it came out brah brah

>>52445533
ouch i feel you, dnd withdrawals can get pretty real
>>
>>52445546
i've never understood the stigma against rolling for stats. doesn't bother me, though i prefer point buy. current DM had us roll and its not a huge deal in my opinion.
>>
>>52445546
>Rolling for stats
Well it wasn't my choice, but the other players really like rolling for stats. But I got lucky I guess.
>>
>>52445555
Rolling is one of those things you might like or you might hate.
>>
>>52445535
well, my style of GMing is largely based in Improv, and this system seems like it'd be easier to play fast and loose with than Pathfinder. As a player, casters still feel too powerful. I like playing martial characters in PF because I can get like, a +1 Burning weapon fairly easily and tack on some nice bonus dmg die. Meanwhile from what I understand in 5th ed Magical items are few and far between? Not sure how I feel about that yet, we'll see when I get a bit higher in levels.
>>
>>52445559
If you don't like rolling I think tabletop RPGs aren't for you
>>
>>52445562
Rolling for stats smartass.
>>
>>52445564
hehe gotcha
>>
>>52445560
Eh, if your DM is letting casters rest left and right you'll feel it.
You're supposed to have at least 5 encounters per long rest, with peaks up to 8.
Casters should dig at least 3-4 spell levels below their highest, just to have a Concentration spell going in each encounter.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>52445596
it's page 7 now, so go ahead if you want to.
>>
>>52445555
Creating a power level gap between party member lead to unhealthy and not fun gaming environment.

>>52445506
If you're going to be in melee, get shield. But to be honest, Thunderous smite is shit.

>>52445475
Standard array isn't a variant broski. Point-buy is.
>>
>>52445604
>Creating a power level gap between party member lead to unhealthy and not fun gaming environment.
That's subjective, if people have fun doing so (and they obviously do otherwise they wouldn't agree to it) then you have no right to tell them they're wrong.
>>
>>52445560
in 5e, magical item is totally under DM control.
You can't buy them. You can't make them.

If your DM is good, you will get enough magic item.

If your DM is shit, he will roll useless stuff no one can use for your party.
>>
>>52445604
>Creating a power level gap between party member lead to unhealthy and not fun gaming environment.

show me where the OP paladin touched you
>>
>>52445506
You know that sleep & shield is the best choice.
>>
>>52443964
Use this, anon; there's a spell to make buildings float, as well as rules for making castles and stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlSDcxaG4tZHNMZWM/view
>>
>>52445614
A shit DM might also bury the party in magic items if he's dumb about it.
>>
>>52445306
>Says who?

Everyone who has any understanding of the game's mechanics and power curve.

>That's not in the PHB at all

Yes, because telling players why and how the math works and what the system's expectations are was too 4e for Mearls.
>>
>>52445613
But everyone on their table could have more fun if they were doing it the right way.

Psychologically, human treat unfairness as a threat, so that isn't even subjective.
>>
>>52445635
new thread
>>
>>52445630
It's a playstyle.
You still can only attune 3 items.
>>
>>52445613
>That's subjective, if people have fun doing so (and they obviously do otherwise they wouldn't agree to it) then you have no right to tell them they're wrong.

You can make a shit character without rolling though. Just make a fighter with low STR and DEX and high INT or something. You don't need to have the option for rolling if you want power disparity in the party for some stupid reason.
>>
>>52445651
Retardation is on you, it's a player's choice.
Point buy makes it all a player's choice, while rolling makes it random chance.
By definition, one is fair, the other... technically is too, but people will bellyache more about it.
>>
>>52445647
Not all magic items require attunement.
>>
>>52445640
They don't though, and if they're having fun once again - you are nobody to tell them they're wrong.

>>52445651
And yet they choose to do so and have fun doing so.
>>
>>52445706
Right, but those that stack on top of others, or that could be easily passed around, or otherwise abused, do.
Utility items usually don't, but gaining darkvision, or a swim speed, isn't on the same level as gaining a +1 to ac and saving throws.
>>
>>52445710
>And yet they choose to do so and have fun doing so.

Yes, and many people choose to gamble their savings away in Vegas and have fun doing so. This means that one armed robbers are good gaming then, right? Since they are fun.

Fun is the flimsiest fucking defense for a mechanic. You can absolutely criticize a mechanic while retards are having fun with it.

Fuck, this isn't even a critique, this is just an objective statement of fact that the game was not built around, and doesn't work as well with random rolling, and this had been the case since 3.0 at least.
>>
>>52445746
Fun is literally all that matters in a game, there is no fucking metric possible for the quality of a game as long as you are having fun with it. The only reason there is anything wrong with gambling all your money away is that it has consequences after the game is over.
>>
>>52445746
>this is just an objective statement of fact that the game was not built around, and doesn't work as well with random rolling, and this had been the case since 3.0 at least
Yeah, that is why rolling for stats is the intended way of playing in the PHB with the stat array and point buy as the alternatives. You just are full of shit and can't accept that different people like different things.

Have you ever considered that people like to play partially flawed characters? Let's be honest, if you use point buy or the array almost all level 1 characters will end up the same way except for maybe spell selection. All monks, ranger, fighter, babarians etc. will always end up the same statistically if you don't roll for stats, some players don't like that.
>>
>>52445771
>there is no fucking metric possible for the quality of a game as long as you are having fun with it

So FATAL can't be criticized objectively cause whoever wrote it had a fun session in it?

In fact, maybe you should go play that. Has lots of random rolling at character creation, should be fun :^)
>>
>>52445817
It can be criticized objectively for flawed design but you can't tell someone he's badwrongfun for having fun with the system you imbecile.
>>
>>52445815
>Have you ever considered that people like to play partially flawed characters?

You don't need to roll for a flawed character.

Pick an array then don't pick your highest stat in your classes "main" stat.

Hell, go ahead and put your lowest stat in it.

You won't? Then the problem is not with the method, but with you.
>>
>>52445827
>It can be criticized objectively for flawed design

Such as randomly rolling for stats in a game where stats give you half of your total bonuses?

If it was OD&D where stats literally don't matter beyond the rare skill roll, I'd be with you, but as is, it is an objectively bad method of character generation. Fuck, if you want randomness, just randomize an array, or pull from random arrays.
>>
>>52445837
>you are not allowed to have fun unless you do it MY way
Bitchshit rolling is literally the default way of making a character. In an automatic character generating wizard the stat block would say "roll for stats!" and have drop downs for dafault arrays of pointbuy.

>>52445847
How is this different from rolling for stats? You do realize you roll for stats BEFORE the backstory, race, class, etc. if you're rolling right?
>>
>>52445555
It's something I'd rather not have to think about.

If I roll really well and want to play an already powerful build, I'll feel guilty that I might overshadow people.

If I roll poorly, my options for characters I can sensibly make becomes limited. I can't play 'charismatic but frail man', I can only play 'socially awkward and frail man'.
Point buy allows a lot more customization.

Players don't tend to fight over it, but people can get pretty passive aggressive about it, too.

And it really is quite sad when I watch the people with poor stats who don't know 100% how to build as best as they can with what they've got underperform when they actually wanted to be relevant.

Also, it's harder to transfer the characters between campaigns

Okay, so what's the upside? You... People roll slightly different numbers which makes them more or less powerful.
That's it. That's literally it.
It dosen't actually provide anything good other than 5 minutes at the start of the campaign you can have fun dooming yourself for the rest of the campaign.

Oh, rolling for stats and getting good rolls does give you more options for stupid multiclasses and all that, but honestly you're still fine just going point buy.
>>
>>52445860
But what happens if the players do have fun with it? What then?
>>
>>52445837
This will always end up with int, str or MAYBE cha being the 8 and you know it. Also this way you can't get a lower score than 8 or more than one negative stat.

There is a clear difference between playing a fighter that is not the same as all the other fighter created with point buy/array, and just fucking over yourself intentionally by choosing to have crappy main stats, thus also fucking with your party in a team game.
>>
>>52444204
Apart from multi targets, MM as a 5th level spells deals <7+7d4> = 24.5, while 7 points is equivalent to a 5th spell slot (basing on Wu Jen) and so it would be <7d8> = 31.5, so technically it's better statistically. Obviously force is better than psychic resistance wise, but psychic is't commonly resisted.
>>
>>52445857
>Rolling before race/class/etc

See, this is definite proof that while rolling for stats is 'default', the fact it's default has barely any bearing on whether you should actually do it or not.

Because if you pick monk and roll before monk, getting bad stats will screw you over royally.
Much like how feats being 'optional' is practically false except maybe for new groups who don't understand casters - If you don't allow feats, martials are underpowered and fighter barely functions.

>>52445866
How? How can you have fun with it?
There's nothing remotely enjoyable about it except at the time you're rolling it, and from then on all it is is a nagging thought in the back of your head 'This player's character is underpowered/average/overpowered'.
>>
>>52445894
>How? How can you have fun with it?
It's fucking immaterial 'how' someone has fun with it. If they manage to have fun with it then you can shove off and stop screaming NO BADWRONGFUN.

>See, this is definite proof that while rolling for stats is 'default', the fact it's default has barely any bearing on whether you should actually do it or not.
>because if you pick monk
why the fuck did you pick monk before rolling?
>>
>>52445908
>Pick monk before rolling
Fuck, I fucked up somewhere along the line.
My bad.

Even so, there does exist badwrongfun.
People think they might enjoy it. But then they don't.
Time and time again.

All rolling for stats is in practice is array, except some people get a +2 to their main stat or maybe -2 to their worst stat or whatever. It barely has impact on the game outside of numbers, so I don't see how you could enjoy it unless you enjoy being overpowered (Which is probably a bad thing).
>>
>>52445857
>you are not allowed to have fun unless you do it MY way

You dense nigga, my problem isn't you having fun, it's you using you having fun as a defense for a mechanic that does not work as intended for this game.

>How is this different from rolling for stats? You do realize you roll for stats BEFORE the backstory, race, class, etc. if you're rolling right?

Because randomizing arrays will let you end with the same total point value for stats, while rolling can end with one player having all 16+ and another all 12 or something.

>>52445870
>There is a clear difference between playing a fighter that is not the same as all the other fighter created with point buy/array,

The fact that you think having a few numbers be different will lead to your fighters being different speaks volumes about your ability as a roleplayer. Having the chance to have +/-1 bonus in your main or secondary stat only has a mechanical influence.
>>
>>52445923
>>52445908
Actually, I take that back, I'm not wrong.
Rereading the PHB:

Chapter 1 says
1. Pick a race
2. Pick a class
3. Determine ability scores
Fuck the PHB.
>>
>>52445923
>Even so, there does exist badwrongfun.
No? If they're having fun then rule -1 applies, it's okay as long as everyone's having a jolly good time. That's the basically the entire point of Rule 0 (besides shutting down munchkins) too - to say 'nah fuck the rules here, this other way is more fun'.

>People think they might enjoy it. But then they don't.
That's not badwrongfun, that's 'o shit it wasn't as fun as we think it would've been'

>>52445928
>does not work as intended
I'm pretty sure that the intention was unfairness. The entire point is that not every party is born equal. Some people can enjoy being somewhat weaker. Of course having a 6 7 12 10 10 9 retard in the same party as the 18 15 18 18 16 17 demigod isn't okay but then you should probably be stepping in as the DM and the demigod player should be mature enough to allow a reroll because fuck that's terrible.
>>
>>52445951
>If they're having fun
But they're not.
A guy decided he wanted to play a monk, everybody rolled for stats and naturally he doesn't know much about 5e so he doesn't know that by rolling bad stats he should play a different class. So he plays monk.
Then he sucks.
Then he complains because he sucks ass and can barely even hit anything, yet alone damage anything or survive more than two rounds in combat.

And it is badwrongfun, because they had fun wrong and now suffer the consequence of a lack of fun.
>>
>>52445980
>but they're not
Yes, that's the point. It can't be Bad Wrong Fun if they're not having fun. Bad Wrong Fun refers to when people ARE having fun. If they're not having fun then you can't invoke badwrongfun.
>>
>>52445951
>Some people can enjoy being somewhat weaker.

Then they can make an intentionally weaker character. God knows, it's as easy as going BM ranger.

What you actually mean is that some people like to gamble on their character's effectiveness; which I can see as being fun, but is still not a good mechanic by any definition I know of (especially to the degree it can happen in 5e and how impactful it is at low levels, which is where most of the games are played).
>>
>>52445997
But if they're having badwrongfun it makes me not have fun because I'd be in the presence of shit tastes which means it's bad.
>>
>>52445928
>

The fact that you think having a few numbers be different will lead to your fighters being different speaks volumes about your ability as a roleplayer. Having the chance to have +/-1 bonus in your main or secondary stat only has a mechanical influence.
Seems to me like its the other way around. Stats should be considered into your roleplaying. I agree that you can easily differentiate your fighter even if he has the same stats like all the others. But you are probably the kind of player who picks 8 int for their fighter and play him extremely smart.

I once rolled really bad stats, with a 5 in charisma. So instead of being a little bitch, I came up with the idea of a hideous person, with burn marks and scars over his whole body. He looked like a mummy, and I had a blast playing him. My stats reflected how I play my charcater and the other way around, rolling for stats can sometimes spark your imagination for a character concept.
>>
>>52446018
Seems like I fucked up that reply
>>
>Dungeons and dragons is a game about rolling, so why don't we roll for stats?
>Yeah!

>Dungeons and dragons is a game about rolling, so whenever you gain a feature, roll 1d2. If you get 1, you don't get the feature. If you roll 2, you get the feature.
>Yeah!

>Dungeons and dragons is a game about rolling, so whenever you create a character, roll 1d4-1. You get this many free ASIs at first level.
>Yeah!
>>
>>52446018
> But you are probably the kind of player who picks 8 int for their fighter and play him extremely smart.

I intentionally don't play low INT chars cause I usually end up being the ideas man of the group. When I do, I'm still the ideas man, except my ideas are stupid. But keep on assuming I guess.

>I once rolled really bad stats, with a 5 in charisma. So instead of being a little bitch, I came up with the idea of a hideous person, with burn marks and scars over his whole body. He looked like a mummy, and I had a blast playing him.

I did a samilar thing once, inspired by the Leper from Darkest Dungeon. I didn't need a 5 in CHA for it.
>>
>>52446018
See, I can agree that rolling for stats (Especially rolling in order since it might then be in a non-dump-stat) and then considering the stats like that actually makes it somewhat interesting, but a lot of DMs seem to do rolling for stats except with things to discourage having a low ability score in something. 'Reroll any stats below X' or '5d6d2' or whatever.

And there's always that guy who rolls 15 in every stat or something stupid. What're they supposed to do, make a character that's 'Hey, I'm Mr. Great At Literally Everything'? Though I guess that is a character concept and you can mix that in with various flaws and whatever. Though it's still obnoxious as it overshadows what other less fortunate people are good at (I rolled all bad stats except for this one 15!)
>>
>>52446068
>>52446018
Oh, but then again, as following the other post you don't need the inspiration to do it.

You want to be a clusmy fuck?
You can do it with 10 dexterity just fine. You can be swift to act but dyspraxic or whatever.

Though I suppose it's sort of nice to have the -3 on every roll as a reminder to how mentally disabled / physically disabled your character is.
>>
>>52445604
>Standard array isn't a variant broski. Point-buy is.
That's still not recommended, though.

>You generate your character's six ability scores randomly. Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five m ore times, so that you have six numbers. If you want to save time or don’t like the idea of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Roll for stats is the normal, everything else is an alternative.
>>
>>52446090
And picking your class before rolling for stats is 'normal' according to the PHB, too.
That doesn't make it a good idea.
>>
>>52446054
>I did a samilar thing once, inspired by the Leper from Darkest Dungeon. I didn't need a 5 in CHA for it.
>>52446083
Sure you don't NEED to, but then your stats don't reflect your character. Still having "good" charisma rolls even though you play someone who should suck extremely at them isn't everyones cup of tea. Charisma especially should be taken into consideration by the dm on how your first impression is for other NPCs.

Stats just represent your character. You can say "I'm playing the swift ninja who can get by every enemy", but if your dex is 10 you just aren't. Same with things like "I'm good looking and well liked by the people. They always react kind to me and I can easily bend them to do my bidding" when you have 8 charisma.

What I'm saying here is NOT that your stats are the only thing shaping your character, but that they should always be taken into consideration.
>>
>>52446150
>Your stats don't reflect your character
Uhhh, no?
Just because you're clumsy, doesn't mean you have 6 dex. You could have 15 dex and be clumsy.
It just means you're bad at certain things but good at others.

You can be bad at colouring within the lines, handwriting and fine handiwork, but still perfectly fine at shooting with a bow or at acting on an initiative count or doing acrobatics.

6 dex however actually means you don't have that freedom to say 'I'm bad at this but good at this' - you have to be bad at all of it, because you have -2 to all dexterity related rolls. You can't volunteer to take a penalty for charater related purposes instead.

Stats would be better at representing characters if they affected gameplay a lot less, rather than '+4 strength can give you 50% more damage'.
>>
>>52440339
Hey guys question: Next game the players will unleash a god from captivity, they will be rewarded handsomely, or so the god will say. Can I just have the god take over the souls of the PC's and have him do his bidding, taking over the world in fire and bloodshed?
>>
>>52446150
>Sure you don't NEED to, but then your stats don't reflect your character.

Yes they do, because CHA is not appearance...

Also, having -3 as opposed to -1 on rolls is only like 10% difference on a d20. If you really played what the numbers meant, not an idealized version of what the numbers are supposed to mean in your head, it'd be a minuscule difference.

I never said you should be able to play against your stats. I said that rolling them is a stupid way to randomize in 5e. The difference of a rolled vs non-.rolled strong/weak stat will be, at very extreme cases +/-2, but over 6 stats that shit adds up and is just generally not worth the effort when you could use fairer methods. "having the chance to have stats of 5 or 18" is not a fucking benefit for this system, even if you are having fun.
>>
>>52446198
>Just because you're clumsy, doesn't mean you have 6 dex. You could have 15 dex and be clumsy.
Again with the same example? Like you said stats are only a general messure of how good you are in certain things (like int represents how intelligent you are, but you can still be good in medicine and can differentiate herbs that grow in a forest).

Being clumsy is more like a minor flaw instead of big things that varrant whole stats being different. Having a 8 or lower in a stat pretty much cripples you in that regard, while being clumsy has nothing to do with stats.
>>
>>52446276
>Having a 8 or lower in a stat pretty much cripples you in that regard

If 8 is enough, then arrays have it coverd.

it's totally not, it's only 5% compared to other stats on a d20, but don't let that stop you. It literally means that out of 20 times, you succeed on average 1 less than the dude who has 10 CHA. Aside from edge cases when he only succeeds on a 20.
>>
>>52446259
>"having the chance to have stats of 5 or 18" is not a fucking benefit for this system, even if you are having fun
But its all about the fun, isn't it? Why else would you play a tabletop game? This isn't a computer game that is all about "beating the game".

It's a team game, if you have flaws others are there to make up for it. I'm not saying rolling for stats doesn't come with its frustrations sometimes, but I'm saying that there are different kinds of benefits by doing so. It's not better or worse, it's totally subjective while many claim that it is in fact objective.

>>52446301
Sure it isn't crippling from a gameplay perspective, but it should be and always was in a roleplaying perspective. The DM also plays NPCs or Monsters a certain way depending on their stats (especially int). Just look up Fallout 1 or 2 low int builds.
In my opinion having a 7 or lower in a stat should have a big impact on how you represent your character to the other players.
>>
>>52446068
>And there's always that guy who rolls 15 in every stat or something stupid. What're they supposed to do, make a character that's 'Hey, I'm Mr. Great At Literally Everything'? Though I guess that is a character concept and you can mix that in with various flaws and whatever
I had a character that was 17 in only one stat and 18 in all others, and a Wizard no less, in 3.5e. I basically played her as an incredibly fucking obnoxious little cunt that ended up getting gangraped by the rest of the party.
>>
>>52446355
>But its all about the fun, isn't it? Why else would you play a tabletop game?

Fun is why we play but it is not a good metric for evaluating a mechanic. Why the fuck is this so hard to understand?

>This isn't a computer game that is all about "beating the game".

I also play computer games for fun. In fact I play a lot of computer games for fun with lots of random chance in them. You know, computer games whith mottos like "dying is fun!".

Exactly because this is not a computer game but a social game with a team is why I think it has to have a certain level of fairness.

OD&D, with its less important stat-bonuses was well within this benchmark for rolled stats, 5e simply isn't.

>Sure it isn't crippling from a gameplay perspective, but it should be and always was in a roleplaying perspective.

Whatever you roleplay needs to be mechanically supported in some way. As is, having a 7-5 in CHA making you an ugly motherfucker that everybody dislikes on first glance isn't. You may play like it does (and I think that's a good idea) but saying that rolling is okay and leads to gameplay that arrays don't because you have what amounts to a houserule that isn't even alluded to in the book is fucking retarded.
>>
>>52446449
It's hard to understand because if they legitimately are having fun, which some people must because they actively choose to use stat rolling after having tried both sides, then your entire argument becomes totally irrelevant. It's like someone asking "yeah but how can you have fun in Civilization it's so tedious and boring and not flashy" or "but how can you have fun in CK II without blobbing to infinity". Nobody cares if you don't get it as long as the person in question does.
>>
>>52446449
>Exactly because this is not a computer game but a social game with a team is why I think it has to have a certain level of fairness.
I think this is where we can't agree. Not everyone has to be the same, if you want that then you shouldn't play a class based system where some classes like wizard, bard or paladin vastly outshine the other classes.

There just are players who are okay with not being as statisticaly good as others, you have to accept that. If you or your players don't want to roll for stats that is perfectly fine, but don't go around and assume that everyone should play it like you do.
>>
>>52444725
>You can always ask your DM to come up with a ritual you need to complete to be a Lich, but don't expect any power boost.

Only if the group plays the game as a tactical wargame with clear lines of progression and expectations of battles and balance. Just remember that this isn't the only way to have a fun game and you can move toward a more free form anytime you wish.
>>
>>52446525
>Not everyone has to be the same

How the fuck does using arrays make you the same. Fuck, how does rolling make you different in any meaningful sense of the word? Stop making up shitty strawmen FFS.

>if you want that then you shouldn't play a class based system where some classes like wizard, bard or paladin vastly outshine the other classes.

Class imbalance is inherent. The degree however, varies. I think 5e is in an okay spot, not as good as 4e, but fuckloads above 5e.

>There just are players who are okay with not being as statisticaly good as others, you have to accept that. If you or your players don't want to roll for stats that is perfectly fine, but don't go around and assume that everyone should play it like you do.

For the third (4th?) time, I don't mind you rolling for stats. I don't even mind if you like to play in games where your uberwizard is 5 levels above everyone else because you sucked the DM's cock. I mind pretending that it's not mechanically bad, and that somebody out there having fun with it absolves it for that.
>>
>>52446525
>you shouldn't play a class based system where some classes like wizard, bard or paladin vastly outshine the other classes.
This is not the game as intended though. This is the designers being bad at designing; look at how terribly they scrambled to fix ranger, and how often they kept failing at it
>>
>>52444869
Second reaction for AoOs?
>>
>>52446593
You just don't get it. Everything you say amounts to "Everyone should play the game like me/my group. If they don't they aren't allowed to have fun"

Our argumentation shows that you just can't accept that there are different ways to play the game. Our groups just put a different weight to how stats affect your character, but for you the other ways are "wrong". As long as others are having fun by rolling stats everything you say is meaningless.

>>52446617
But rolling for stats IS in fact intended, so what is your point?
>>
>>52446641
>You just don't get it. Everything you say amounts to "Everyone should play the game like me/my group. If they don't they aren't allowed to have fun"

>For the 4th (5th?) time, I don't mind you rolling for stats. I don't even mind if you like to play in games where your uberwizard is 5 levels above everyone else because you sucked the DM's cock. I mind pretending that it's not mechanically bad, and that somebody out there having fun with it absolves it for that.
>>
>>52446641
>But rolling for stats IS in fact intended, so what is your point?
I would argue it isn't. The game was built around the assumption you'd be using array/point buy, down to the expected to hit/saves, ABI increments, racial stat bonuses, encounter CR, etc. Rolling is simply presented as an option because it's a sacred cow players are really, really attached to, but nothing about the game was designed expecting players to have rolled stats. I imagine they just figured people who like to roll stats are like you and don't give a shit about well made mechanics, so no reason to build anything around them.
>>
>>52446698
What I mean is that it is totaly irrelevant if rolling for stats or class imbalance is intentional or not. Classes just aren't completely balanced, and I think that is fine. I was just saying that you take class imbalances the game is not "fair" for everybody playing.

Some people just have fun playing their monk, even though the party bard rocks every combat and social encounter. Same applies for rolling stats. There are those who can accept not being super optimized, play in a team and most importantly are still having FUN.

I'm just fed up with all those people claiming that their way of playing is the objectively best way, even though there can't be such a way in a tabletop game
>>
>>52446763
>Classes aren't completely balanced, so rolling for stats is fine

Have you ever heard of the Nirvana fallacy?
>>
>>52446780
You are just pretending to be so dense, right? At least I hope so.

You say that you are fine with the class imbalances, which shift the power of the players to those who pick the best classes. Rolling for stats results in pretty much the same, with power shifting to those who roll better stats. I'm not saying is is better or worse, just preference.

The thread is dying anyway, so this will be my last post on this topic. Let's just burry this topic and agree that different people like different things.
>>
>>52446809
That's not what the nirvana fallacy is.

I'm not fine with class imbalances, but they are (to a degree) unavoidable.

I'm double not fine with class imbalances used as an excuse for some other sort of mechanical failure that however IS avoidable.
>>
>>52446763
And I'm fed up with all those people claiming bad design isn't bad design because their 1% of the population enjoys being incompetent and irrelevant in team based games.

Some people like to eat shit, but that doesn't make it not shit.
>>
>>52446878
>>52446851
>I don't like it, so its bad design
>>
>>52446899
>I like it, so it isn't bad design
Two can play at this game
>>
>>52446910
Yeah, and guess what, nobody is right in the end because its subjective. The array or point buy doesn't just magically make the game better or worse mechanically
>>
>>52446276
>Being clumsy has nothing to do with stats
It's about half of what the dexterity stat is about, likely being related to sleight of hand and stealth too.

Sure, if you want a character who's clumsy AND slow to respond to things AND bad at dodging AND sucks at aiming, then you should have low dexterity, but low dexterity means your character's pretty much bad at all of them rather than 'Okay, he's clumsy, but he can actually use a bow'.
>>
>>52446940
>Yeah, and guess what, nobody is right in the end because its subjective.

Mechanics aren't subjective. Fun is. This is why we don't use Fun as a measure of mechanics.

>The array or point buy doesn't just magically make the game better or worse mechanically

But that's literally what they do.

If you ended it with "more or less fun" I wouldn't even disagree with you.
>>
>>52446940
Well some people would subjectively prefer GURPS. Should we put gurps rules in brackets besides everything in the PHB just in case someone prefers gurps rules?
>>
>>52446980
>>52446940
Oh, and before you say 'Well, go play GURPS if you like GURPS more'

I can say
'Well, go play AD&D or some old edition of D&D if you like rolling for stats more'.

Because rolling for stats is actually good in early editions.
>>
>>52447006
That's because rolling is a design assumption in early editions
>>
>>52446971
>>52447006
Then please explain to me how rolling for stats makes the game worse mechanically.

Your individual strenght and the strenght of the party varies anyway, and other than drifting the party balance (which is not mechanically better or worse) it doesn't affect anything else. You people claimed yourself how little effect a modifier has overall.

Rolling stats isn't for you and nobody says you should like it, but what does that have to do with how the game mechanically works? The game would only get mechanically worse if the strenght of each individual player mattered and not the combined strenght as a party, like for example in a pvp game.
>>
>>52447054
Well, regardless of their intent, it worked better then, but some people still seem to think it's a good idea when they've completely changed the system.

>>52447074
>The strength of the party varies anyway, so it's okay to make it vary more
Remember pathfinder?
Remember how the wizard made the martials his bitches?
5e isn't as bad for that, and tries to have the power between classes vary less, but then some faggot seems to think it's fine to come along and have a 12 AC monk and a bard with +3 in all stats who is better at every single skill than literally everybody else in the party, has maybe 50% more health than the monk, etc.

It'd be worth the above if rolling for stats really meant much more than 'you roll higher/lower' but it doesn't. In earlier editions, at least you were rolling more for 'Can I get 17 charisma and the other requirements to make a paladin? Oh, I have the stats required to be a dwarf. Oh, I have this. Oh, I can get a slight bonus to damage by having high strength.'

Rather than 'Oh, I deal twice as much damage as an identical fighter player because I had a load more strength.'
>>
>>52447074
>Your individual strenght and the strenght of the party varies anyway

Yes, but this also isn't exactly a good thing. Rolling makes it worse, and makes it worse in a way that's out of your control. In 3.5 classes were imbalanced as shit, but you could still play an OK game by restricting yourself to the same tier, since it was within your choice.Rolling for stats isn't, or you have to play around it by powergaming like a motherfucker/intentionally playing dumb, which are both limiting.

It's like saying "well, two of your fingers are broken anyway, why not play with this hammer some more?". Yes, the situation already isn't as good as it could be, but there's really no reason to make it worse.
>>
>>52447137
>>52447127
But all you are saying again referers to how much fun you have while playing with an uneven party.

Unbalanced classes make the game mechanically worse, I completely agree. But choosing different balanced classes, or choosing to roll for stats in our example doesn't.

"Mechanically" refers to how the game works on a fundematal level, choosing to have different strenghts has nothing to do with this. It doesn't break anything, because the DM can always make up for it without even having to change any rules (unlike broken classes for example, where it can only be fixed by changing the rules)
>>
>>52447203
Let me reiterate in simple words:

DnD is a game where the majority of things are decided by rolling a random number. Rolling for stats is just the extension of that.

Unbalanced classes on the other hand, inherently break the balance without even having to roll.

If having different strenghts and weaknesses every time you make a new character is "mechanically" worse for you, then maybe you should consider not playing a game where almost everything is decided by luck anyway. What matters is what you do with those stats you rolled, and on a greater level how much fun you have in the end.

Does it matter if you have a character with bad stats if you are having fun? No, everything else is meaningless to argue about, because that is all that matters in the end.
>>
>>52447203
Monk is usually 'balanced' (Well, it's very restrictive on viable playstyles). When you roll for stats, it's unbalanced.

Paladin is usually 'balanced'. When you roll for stats, it's unbalanced.

Both classes are incredibly MAD. The monk is dependent on three stats, and very dependent on them. The paladin is dependent on five stats, but not awfully dependent on most of them.

Then, if you get two fighters with rolled stats, they might only care about strength for the most part, but strength determines how effectively they do their jobs. It's very common to see two fighters in the same game for whatever reason. People keep playing fighters. So, they roll stats. It's possible one becomes good at their job, but one becomes terrible at their job and is completely overshadowed by the other (even if they have +1 on int or something, how often is +1 to arcana gonna help them compared to +1 to hit and damage when they make several attacks a round?)

In any case, rolling for stats makes the game mechanically less balanced firstly because some classes are stronger or weaker depending on stats and secondly because the same class will be more or less balanced depending on luck.

And in the end, a smart player who rolls crappy stats will just roll a moon druid and be obnoxious and do well anyway, whereas a new player will end up thinking it's totally okay to play monk with crap stats.
>>
>>52447402
>It's luck in a luck based game argument

Sure, but that doesn't mean you should roll for absolutely everything.

As said somewhere above, let's say you roll 1d2 every time you get a feature. On a 1, you don't get that feature.
Now, this is a terrible idea. Luck doesn't justify it. Based on luck, you might lose key parts of your class.
Monk's unarmoured defence, attacks etc all depend on dexterity and wisdom. If you deny them dexterity and wisdom from bad rolls, you've pretty much denied them key parts of their class based on luck.

ASIs are features. You can increase a stat with it.
Getting extra ASIs is similar to rolling good stats.

If previous games had 'every level roll 1d4 you get that many feats' then people would probably think it's totally fine in 5e too.
>>
>>52443840
>Hexblade is the fix for Bladelock.
No it fucking isn't, and I hate this argument. Releasing a completely separate option for a class doesn't fix a bad option for that class.

All you need to do to make blade pact good is roll Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker into it, at the appropriate levels. Then you're as fighty as most other gish classes and not quite as starved for invocations, which can be spent on defensive or utility options as you need.
Thread posts: 454
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.