[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Put on the Helmet Ratko

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 56

Last time on Song of Swords:
>be Volgin >get shot
Politics, and how no one actually cares about them
The Philosophy of the Other
Late night, come home, Break sucks, I know
Spicy Opinions on Porcine
Backer Surveys went out!
Abuse Slavs
Discussion on /ourvidya/

The KS link & Opaque's website
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
http://www.songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Last Thread: >>52366565

The Legend Lives On!
>>
File: SAM_0245.jpg (6MB, 5472x3080px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0245.jpg
6MB, 5472x3080px
>>52424154
So, one of the visionary nobles here. What do you guys plan on getting drawn/canonized?
>>
File: alligator-man.gif (98KB, 430x521px) Image search: [Google]
alligator-man.gif
98KB, 430x521px
>>52424278
We've unanimously agreed on Alligator Crocodile Man
>>
>>52424329
is this a discord meme
>>
>>52424352
I'm just an ex-Con trying to get my kids back through realistic medieval combat
>>
>>52424278
Probably the BBEG of The Boar game.
>>
>>52424406
You mean that half-man, half-gator dude who kept biting people to death?
>>
>>52424506
Your autism isn't funny. Nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>The croc degenerate is back
Thankfully this time I have prepared a ward against his heresy
>>
File: 2LgzVQI.jpg (90KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
2LgzVQI.jpg
90KB, 500x508px
>>52424278
I'm getting one of the fechts I ran canonized, should be good fun.
>>
>>52424789
Fuck Mang, I'm out
>>
Reposting from the last thread. Please help.

I have a player who really wants to play Fetchlings or something very similar, as a Tier 2 (maybe 3) race If I make them Tier 3 then they"ll need more buffs AND some penalties. Don't worry, it's not for the Tattered Realms.

How can I expand on them or make them different, mechanically and fluff wise from PF Fetchlings?

So far I took the abilities I thought I could translate from PF ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other races/featured-races/arg-fetchling/ ) into SoS.

Tenebrae, Tier 2 Race
>See in Shadow: When in low-light conditions, Tenebrae treat each stage of Lighting as one step less severe on the table, because of their excellent eyesight in the dark (i.e. Pitch Black becomes Poorly Lit, Poorly Lit becomes Dimly Lit, and Dimly Lit becomes Evenly Lit). However, they cannot see colors when in the dark.
>Shadow Blending: Enemies take -2 Combat/Missile Pool when targeting you in when you're in Dimly Lit, Poorly Lit or in Pitch Black environments.
>Skilled: +1 bonus on Stealth checks.
>Shadowy Resistance: -1 damage from Cold and Electricity damage.
>>
>>52425102
That honestly looks fine for bonuses, I'd just give them + and - a couple of stats.
>>
>>52425196
Fine for a Tier 2 race, balanced against Zells and Dwarves? The only thing is that they lack any kind of penalties. Zells have Glossophobia and Strange Tastes. Dwarves have The Call of the Deep.

Then again their benefits aren't very major. Maybe I can just give them -1 STR and END, and call it a day?
>>
File: fetchling2.png (175KB, 400x631px) Image search: [Google]
fetchling2.png
175KB, 400x631px
>>52425102

Shadow-din

Night Eyes:They can see + stage of light

Ethnic Minority: When in Dim Light, if they are the target of a missile treat them as being in X stages darker

Operational Operator: When using the Stealth Skill count 1 die as if it has already succeeded.

Insulation: Ignore 1 damage from heat & cold damage. Also they ignore stun from the Burdinadin Shock upgrade.

+1 Agi, -1 Wit

Always Beautiful except this art, jesus christ
>>
>>52425287
No, that might even be too much of a penalty. Zells and Dwarves don't have stat penalties, so keep it to -1 STR or -1 END, or none even since you aren't giving them any stat bonuses. You are paying PCP for this, don't hit them too hard.
>>
>>52425287
There's not a good way to do -Wisdom in Song of Swords other than giving them brain damage or increasing the cost of skills.

I'd dare say you could make Proficiency/Schools harder but any player who can figure that shit out deserves every single point he pays for.

We've already got a slightly off color race that has +2 AGI so- whatever is fine really. +2 and +1 to whatever attributes
>>
>>52425446
It was less -wisdom and more of the description "Superficially, fetchlings resemble unnaturally lithe—bordering on fragile—humans. "
>>
Lads I once again pose the question of the thread iconic. The following has been suggested.

>Zellish Guts, adherent of the Rade Stark ideal, and possessor of encyclopedic knowledge of arms and armor.
>The Waifumancer. A foppish sop obsessed with all these rough women with their wild ways. He chases, always, Gizka and Eskarne, Joan and the Pontifatrix, and the Moon, too. His hunt has no end, and he can never rest, but he is glad. He knows he is on the path of virtue. If only he could leave his mother's villa...
>Crocodile Man
>Genoized Zell adventuring for fairly earned money with which is purchase a ship.
>Gallian Squire who was knighted as his master died, but no one believes him, so he adventures on Errantry to prove himself.
>Karthacki Cartographer and Naturalist who is yet another fool seeking to map the world, but also categorize its fauna, monstrous and not.

It seems that we are torn over the age old question of whether or not we meme.
>>
>>52426866
How about we make the last one a woman who obstensibly identifies as a gay man to please SJW transniggers but it's actually just a plain waifu?
>>
>>52426866
Cartographer.
>>52426967
Suckstart a shotgun, leave that shit for MtG
>>
>>52427013
>being this mad
>>
>>52427026
Least it means I care
>>
>>52426866
I like the cartographer and the squire. Probably the cartographer a bit more than the squire.
>>
>>52426866
Cartographer.
>>
>>52426866
Is the Squire supposed to be like Don Quixote in his adventures or is he more bland? I support him only if he fights windmills
>>
File: anime_girl_reaction_face (10).png (27KB, 128x132px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_reaction_face (10).png
27KB, 128x132px
>>52427356
I posted all the information related to the characters. Feel free to develop them as you see fit.
>>
>>52426866
cart
>>
>>52426866
Cartographer is a trap option

You are literally shitting away your slot on a guy who bought ink and paper.
Probably has 'Knowledge: Maps' as a skill.

Very enticing.
>>
>>52424154
>Last time on SoS
>/sos/ discusses the most incendiary political topics of the day with total indifference
>More people are concerned about whether or not it is safe to pet police dogs than in the fate of nations

Top kek at the best board on 4chan being one thread on /tg/.
>>
File: 1488308876242.jpg (783KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1488308876242.jpg
783KB, 2448x3264px
>>52427639
>Implying no survival or combat skills
The guy is supposed to be one of the premades for an AP, don't be such an obtuse fucking bitch. Besides, it's dangerous out in the wild what with bandits and invisible tigers
>>
>>52428526
Is this Gaia
>>
>>52428526
Please anon, this is a blue board.
>>
Hi there. Anon/Lurker since the previous thread, since I learned about the game shortly after the Kickstarter. *cries a little*

Would it be too much to ask for someone to explain Schools clearer? Or at least, clearer than 1.9.9 does?
>>
>>52429606
I can try.

Okay, say you want to make an Officer school, the most important thing to look at is the "Cost" entry, in the case of Officer it's
>Cost: [1]+2 per Primary at adoption, +1 per Secondary
So you pay 1 proficiency point as base cost, that is the [1]. And for every Primary proficiency you pay 2, and for Secondary profs 1 extra.
Another important point is this entry:
>Proficiencies: 1-3 Primary [+1], 1-6 Secondary [+0]
Which means you MUST have at least 1 Primary and 1 Secondary prof, and can have as much as 3 primary and 6 secondary profs. And primary proficiencies get treated as being 1 level higher than the school level (that's the [+1]) and secondaries are equal to the school level.
Apart from the costs of adding the proficiencies to a shool, you must also buy the "Proficiency Core" which is an additional 1 Proficiency Point per proficiency added (the first entry on the table on page 186 of the regular SoS pdf). Unless you are human, humans don't pay that cost.
After you have chosen, added and paid for the schools (+the base cost) you have the school at level 1 and can level it as if it were a single proficiency using the table on page 186.

So for example you want to make an officer school with 1H Sword and Polearm as primary proficiencies, and Grappling as a secondary proficiency:
You pay The base cost of 1, two times the cost of adding a primary proficiency, and one time the cost of a secondary proficiency, on top of that if you are not a human, you pay 1 additional point per proficiency. So:
[1]Base cost + 2* 2 Primary cost + 1* 1 Secondary cost + (if not human) 3* 1 Proficiency Core cost.
>>
>>52424154
>be shot
You mean
>be ventilated in a hail of gunfire because we chose to charge a man with an SMG while we had next to no armour instead of hiding around the corner
>>
>>52429801

So I can take a set of proficiencies, and once I've paid for both the Proficiency Core and the individual costs of my selection, I can level up the set as if it were one Proficiency?
>>
>>52430249
Pretty much, yes.
>>
>>52418888
>quads of indisputable truth
R I P

Bannerlord soon?
>>
>>52424278
Nothing, because no dollars no life.
>>
>>52426866
I weight my votes from most to least as
>Squire
>Cartographer
>'Croc Man
>>
>>52427639
Yes, Lewis and Clark were such push overs, being military veterans and all.
>>
>>52430278

Thanks, fellow anon.

And while I'm here, has anybody made a magic system that isn't inherently/ somewhat evil or for monks? Say, one that resembles the usual DnD set?
>>
>>52430465
The only thing right now would be Void Magic from Ballad I think.
Others I know of are The way of five which is also from Ballad (Monk~ish), Unkindly Magic (Evil), Dark Pyromancy (Evil)
>>
>>52430465
Sorcery won't be evil but it's not done yet.

Way of Five is very monk-like but for guns, exception being paladins.
>>
>>52430815
It's based off of equilibrium iirc
>>
What kind of names do Ohanedin have?
>>
>>52434157
Basque names.
>>
>>52434520
Holy shit that's what I was gonna go for. This game is awesome
>>
>>52434682
Just so you know, the Burds also use Basque names. The older they are, the more Basque.
>>
>>52434713
Finally Iberians get some love
>>
>>52435769
It was an unusual choice, but very cool.
>>
>>52430321
Jimmy mentioned that they had actually been in talks with Taleworlds for a while about something. Maybe now that SoS is actually happening we'll get a Tattered Realms mod.
>>
>>52426866
Squire.
>>
>>52428526
You could have a cool guy who hits on all the stoic "too good for a man" females or you can have a guy who spent 7cp
>>
In Ballad, are there space Muslims?
>>
>>52434520
What about Dwarves?
>>
>>52426866
>implying crocodile man isn't the best option
>>
>>52439086
to be fair; Crocodile Man is the only character so far that has a written strategy for winning fights and isn't just 'guy w/ sword' or something.

>Find Faces
>Eat Faces

I mean, At least making Johnny DicksStabs stab dicks
>>
>>52437764
Post proofs?
>>
Jimmy, you gotta explain how the fuck day and night works in Ballad.

There are stars, right? You call them eyes? Are they literally eyes? Do they blink? Is rain actually tears?

Are there moons? Do they orbit islands? Do Islands orbit them? In the past, you've sort of implied that suns are different from stars, and that they give off light from a yolk. Is that still true?

If the eyes blink out at night, does that mean the Void has completely lightless nights?
>>
>>52439325
>>52439086
>He doesn't want the comfy adventurer lifestyle of a cartographer who gets dragged into adventures while mapping the infinite steppe and the depths of the shwarzvald
Fucking shit taste
>>
>an echo sounds from the past:
In Escher's defense, he absolutely does have time for girly things like combing his hair. He is one of the consistently best dressed and best groomed men in Vosca. He personally invented jackboots, cufflinks and cravats, as well as a peculiar style of nail-filing. Kar-Ischil also exports macassar oil in green bottles that are instantly recognizable across Vosca. It is broadly assumed that Escher was responsible for this as well.
>>
>>52439669
It's in the archive somewhere, but he mentioned it once. Nothing came of it.
>>
>>52440244
>mapping a shwarzvald
Seems like a Sisyphean task.
>>
>>52440805
That only means that the guy is later made a saint for his heroic labour to impose order on a literal manifestation of darkness and insanity.

When have Genosians ever let a little something like utter futility get in the way of honest toil?
>>
File: alligator-man-panel-2.jpg (101KB, 620x790px) Image search: [Google]
alligator-man-panel-2.jpg
101KB, 620x790px
>>52440666
Jimmy, do you endorse the Alligator Man?
>>
>>52441689
>Jingo Fett
>Old lore
Clearly that's not Jimmy
>>
>>52426866
>>Zellish Guts
>not karthacki guts with massive club
>>
File: NanbanDo.jpg (85KB, 278x541px) Image search: [Google]
NanbanDo.jpg
85KB, 278x541px
How would you characterize Japanese armor in the system, specifically stuff throughout the Sengoku era?

At the beginning, I think it would all be lamellar stuff for the samurai. However, then we start getting "tosei gusoku" ("modern armor")which is described as being made from iron plates riveted together, and then the "bullet tested" armor which copied European designs.

How's this sound for a SoS chronology?
Lamelar
Laminar
Bullet-Proof Plate
>>
>>52443823
Iron Plate: 8/7/6
Bulletproof whatever; 10/9/8
>>
File: TanegashimaGun.jpg (361KB, 2685x521px) Image search: [Google]
TanegashimaGun.jpg
361KB, 2685x521px
>>52443852
Those are the stats. I've got the book, I was just thinking about what matched.

What is counted as "bullet-proof" armor in the rule-set? I know historically they would test it at a long range and show off the dent, but that at short range it still didn't do much to stop people from getting shot up.

In the system, with 9 piercing AV and bulletproof, a bulletproof plate vest will leave someone shooting them with an arquebus loaded with ball doing only the damage that they get in bonus successes. Which is still pretty good I guess.
>>
>>52443823
We don't have stats for layered paper yet, so it's hard to characterize.
>>
File: Bullet_proof_dou.jpg (6KB, 158x235px) Image search: [Google]
Bullet_proof_dou.jpg
6KB, 158x235px
>>52443926
I believe it's just the Chinese that did paper armor, the "bulletproof" Japanese armor was metal.
>>
>>52443965
No no, I'm certain the Japanese had that lacquered paper and wood armour.
>>
>>52443976
kys
>>
>>52443976
I can't find anything on this subject. Lacquer was used to keep metal dry, but I don't think that wood was used in anything but decorative parts of Japanese armor.

It was used by Inuit people in their (frankly shitty) leather laminar armor, but that's not really in the same ballpark.
>>
>>52444031
>>52444031
he's trolling probably, almost everyone knows that the wood armour thing is a meme that the porras took back to europe after seeing them use it in stage productions
>>
>>52444031
Wood was used on Japanese armour, it's just that the samurai didn't use it, but they weren't the only warriors in Japanese culture
>>
File: mahiole_cane_and_feather_helmet.jpg (64KB, 639x659px) Image search: [Google]
mahiole_cane_and_feather_helmet.jpg
64KB, 639x659px
>>52444052
All of the examples of use of wood as armor seem to be either for purely aesthetic purposes, or from cultures that had yet to discover metal. Given its limitations as a material this seems rather reasonable.

Are there any examples you can cite of functional armor from Japan which used wood as a part of the actual armor, rather than ornamentation?
>>
>>52444119

Hi there. Same anon who asked how Schools worked here, and not the guy talking about wooden armor

I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't give/make citations as that would take forever, but I can leave a link that might help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=396rERpXHCU

That's the video of The Metatron answering whether or not Wooden Armor in Japan was a real thing, specifically in regards to the Samurai/Chosen in For Honor wearing the stuff instead of the usual metal armor they'd have had.

Hope it helps.
>>
File: goodcossetius.jpg (11KB, 321x350px) Image search: [Google]
goodcossetius.jpg
11KB, 321x350px
>>52444226
The Metatron is what I always imagined Jimmy to be like in person for some reason, they seem like very similar people. We should lock them in a room together and force them to eat pasta and compare broadswords.
>>
File: COSSUTIUS_SOS.jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
COSSUTIUS_SOS.jpg
37KB, 400x400px
>>52444438
The best actor in that entire series.
>>
>>52444438

You mean katanas and gladius?
>>
File: anime_girl_reaction_face (201).jpg (191KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_reaction_face (201).jpg
191KB, 1600x1000px
>>52444561
>Metatron:
I think katana is a better weapon against a gladius, unless it has a Scutum in which case it is a better weapon because the defensive potential--

>Jimmy:
When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

>Metatron:
Wew

>Jimmy:
Pinochet did nothing wrong, now let me tell you about elves.
>>
>>52444226
tl;dr, yes, it was a thing in Japan, but we're talking centuries before samurai were even a thing.
>>
>>52444830

As said in the video, the equivalent would be the typical army soldier wearing Plate Armor against modern bullets.

Onto something more related to the game; specifically, how some parts of the current PDF is structured/typed.

Some parts are more clearly described than others, while others... not so much (I'm looking at you, Schools). But another thing is how it suddenly throws an acronym or term you've never read before into your face and decides to let you guess on your own. Some are easier to guess than others, like AVC/P/B, but the point stands.

I understand that this is anything but the final version, but still. It'd be nice.
>>
>>52445010
Plate armor is useless, but chain armor with visor and a metal shield would actually work against a few rounds of non AM bullets.
>>
>>52445446
Which was his point. Wooden armor Vs Katana/Naginata/etc. would be comparable, though not exactly the same. That set might work, but I'd obviously prefer modern Kevlar against modern bullets. Much cheaper, as far as I can tell, and lighter than a suit of armor any day.
>>
File: noif.jpg (522KB, 1000x526px) Image search: [Google]
noif.jpg
522KB, 1000x526px
You guys like blades, I made one.
>>
>>52446092
Knives aren't my thing, but it's a nice looking knife.
>>
>>52446092
Use it to cut someone in the shoulder really hard. If you bisect him then you're good at SoS IRL
>>
>>52446422
Gut them instead. Much easier than trying to cut through bone with a single-edged knife.
>>
>>52446422
Too bad my irl STR is really shit.
>>
File: 1439241247438.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439241247438.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>52446443
Not in SoS
>>
>>52447071
Maybe it's the newfag part of me, but how is bisecting a man with a knife harder than cutting open his stomach with a knife?
>>
>>52447106
It's a joke about the description of level 5 cutting shoulder wounds
>>
>>52447106
There's a lot less bone in the second example.
>>
File: 2017-03-30 17.13.36.jpg (59KB, 1352x596px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-30 17.13.36.jpg
59KB, 1352x596px
>>52446092
I'm in the process of making a sidesword. Potato phone, and not yet done, but here it is:

Blade was laser cut from 6mm thick 1060 or 1070, after which I beat the distal taper in from 6 to about 2mm. After that, I put a bevel on the edges to get the right cross section. Then I did the rough grind and straightening, while working on the hilt and pommel. The hilt was cut from the same steel and consists of a crossguard, knucklebow and some loops to protect my fingers and knuckles. The pommel started as an offcut that I welded some rebar to and shaped with a rounding hammer. All that's left is heat treatment and then furnishing and cleaning! It's my first proper smithing project and my first sword, but I think it's coming along nicely. Because it's a practice weapon I rolled the tip, and also I don't really mind if it ends up being a little wonky or rough
>>
File: 2017-03-30 17.13.46.jpg (94KB, 1449x1084px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-30 17.13.46.jpg
94KB, 1449x1084px
>>52447428
close up of the hilt. The longer loop is meant to protect my fingers when fingering the hilt, but on its own it doesn't really do the job. From most angles it does fine, but a simple cover against a blow to my outside would bypass it entirely. So I turned the second, more squat loop 45 degrees up, and now basically only thrusts can hit those fingers. However, the squat loop was meant to protect my knuckles and now provides less protection, so I'm going to spread it a little bit so that it covers them a bit more
>>
>>52447428
>>52447484
I'm no expert, but that looks pretty good for a first sword. Is it gonna be a cut or thrust sword? And where's the balance at?
>>
https://loadoutroom.com/25804/unconcsciousness-death-edged-weapons/
>>
>>52447861
If it's a proper sidesword it'll be both.
>>
What does BS stand for? And no, I'm not referring to bullshit.
>>
>>52448895
Bonus successes. Any success after your opponent's defense.

So if I'm attacking you and get five successes while you have two successes to defend, my attack hits with three BS.
>>
>>52443823
The helmet isnt an exact match for anything, but I'd say Conical Helm with the "half coverage on lower head" bit. Steel face mask.
That's just straight up a Breastplate.
Gauntlets and Vambraces, hard to make out if the full sleeves are mail or brigandine. I know the Japs were fond of mixing the two.
>>
Are there any rules for Firearms or Shields made of different materials?
>>
>>52449847
Not presently.
>>
Does Toughness reduce the damage of an attack exactly by as much points as it has?
>>
>>52451383
In SoS? Yeah.
>>
>>52451383
Unfortunately, which is retarded.
>>
>>52449847
The base shields in the book have 3-4 levels of material: wicker, wood, metal, and bulletproof metal. It would be nice to have rules for modifying the shields depending on which material you wanted to use, or fine forge or silversteel etc. But you'll just have to wing it for now.
>>
How good are flails in this game?
>>
File: Flailstick.jpg (51KB, 304x436px) Image search: [Google]
Flailstick.jpg
51KB, 304x436px
>>52454421
Thanks to [Chain] they fuck up people who bet their lives on being able to parry well.

Also, you couldn't have found a better image? That one's just dumb.
>>
File: bocandessia in the nude.jpg (201KB, 1128x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bocandessia in the nude.jpg
201KB, 1128x1000px
This is my wife. Say something nice about her.
>>
File: SBR_Chapter_69.jpg (288KB, 760x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SBR_Chapter_69.jpg
288KB, 760x1200px
>>52455865
I'm going to make a character that is going to fuck every God in this setting.

Dessia is getting the dick last, saving her so I have something to wipe up with

>>52454421
pretty good but not as good as sunny blowjobs from a frustrated homo-sun god
>>
>>52455865
>posting lewds of your waifu

cuck
>>
>>52448102
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>52454421
Flails have good offensive stats but you'll want to rely on a shield or void(dodging) to defend.

>Ignores 2 defense successes
>does decent damage regardless
>armor with decent blunt defense tends to be heavy or expensive

Just insist to your DM/opponent that shields need a Durability buff or your opponent can Hew it in one action in most cases
>>
>>52448102
This paints a very different picture of how long it should take for characters to lose consciousness/die from injuries.
>>
>>52458867
the other riddle of steel-based games get it right. Song of swords is the only one where you regularly die via exsanguination from a hand wound.
>>
>>52459314
Considering how many times one can get stabbed in combat, it's no surprise.
>>
>>52459379
No surprise that you will probably die from a single high level stab wound to the hand? Or no surprise that in reality people regularly get stabbed 20 times and survive with medical treatment?
>>
>>52459439
I'd like to say that 16th century medical treatment wouldn't be enough to help survive that many stabs, but I might be wrong.
>>
>>52459439
Are we counting all the hits that get through armor and are soaked by TOU for this?
>>
>>52459314
They've been saying for a while now that the bloodloss system needs to be fixed, the problem is that if it takes too long, it won't be relevant in combat, so why would you have it be a factor at all.

I wouldn't have considered it a problem in old SoS when a round was six seconds, but this new Ballad initiative has things moving in fractions of a second. People must be exuding anime-tier fountains of blood to exsanguinate this fast.
>>
I'm really curious, what are people doing for their Visionary tiers? I'm thinking more Orridin stuff.
>>
Who is the best King/Queen in Tattered Realms?

My vote's on Eric the Snickerer, Svitish king with the flaming sword and a sense of humor.
>>
What's good music for the Song of Swords?
>>
>>52459941
Who's the stupid ignorant violent zell-queen of England right now? She gets my vote.
>>
File: involtini-bresaola.jpg (682KB, 945x650px) Image search: [Google]
involtini-bresaola.jpg
682KB, 945x650px
>>52428526
>North Fork
>Middle Fork
>Salad Fork
>>
>>52459979
Dahaka the Black, sexy dark-haired bitch queen of Krajina. Because of Superior Aryan Zellish Genes she is as strong as a man, but her Eternal Anglo genes require her to also be a massive cunt to everyone.
>>
>>52460549
She'd be more of an Eternal Slav if she's the queen of Krajina. Serbs I think have the highest self esteem of any country in the world, and coupling that with a woman who can fist-fight men regularly, you'd basically have the most egotistical human being alive.
>>
File: rome.jpg (63KB, 649x557px) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
63KB, 649x557px
>>52460871
Jimmy and his ridiculously large vest did an interview with the SC sentinel. I prefer the San Jose Mercury personally but Sentinel has better coupons.
>>
>>52460916
Found it. How do serious reporters keep fucking up the spelling of simple stuff? The last guy screwed up Paulus Hector Mair's name, this guy can't even figure out how to spell Chaosium.
I get that he slurs a bit because he's obviously drunk during all the interviews, but Jesus.
>>
>>52459934
Something something Gharial Man.
>>
Well thank Science the Blacksteel Butcher has been caught. We're so lucky that such a handsome and talented man as Inspector Arzalluz was on the case.
>>
>>52459867
Ballad Initiative?

>>52461134
They have the capability to make newspapers and print pictures like that, yet fight with flintlocks and medieval weapons? Does that have something to do with the setting being in 2088?
>>
>>52461219
The Burdinadin's problem is that there are so few of them that they simply don't have industrial capacity. They have machineguns, helicopters and power armor, but they have to produce each of these with artisan labor while also constantly maintaining their failing arcologies.
In the Xabi fecht, they had inter-glade punchcode 4chan, and apparently Zells keep hacking into it somehow to spread their agenda. They're a modern people who lack the economy of scale to really capitalize on their own advancements.
>>
>>52461219
lithography was invented in the 1700s, so it's not too far off.
>>
>>52460916
>>52460916
Is this fucking real?
>>
>>52426866
What if we make the cartographer a cute female dwarf? Started as a shepherd or something and just kept wandering?
>>
>>52447861
Both, since it is a sidesword. The balance point is just beyond the ricasso, i.e. exactly where I wanted it! Didn't even plan it like that, it just sorta happened
>>
>>52449352
zischagge or whatever it is called is a pretty close match to a kabuto
>>
>>52460916
Jimmy looks exactly like I imagined him, right down to the facial expression
>>
>>52461219
You now realize that the Chinese were printing images and text in full color during the Song and Ming dynasties.
>>
>>52459867
Would fixing this be as simple as adjusting when Blood Loss has to be rolled for? Or adjusting the roll to every other turn?
>>
>>52461219
When Jimmy got drunk that one weekend and designed Ballad of the Laser Whales, one of the big steps forward was that the initiative system was totally reworked and actually functioned much better than the equivalent system in SoS.

One of the big changes though is that each "Round" is now divided up into three phases, with characters acting in a number of phases determined by their ADR. This means that combats now basically talk 1/3rd of the time when translated into seconds, which means that if you're rolling bloodloss at each Refresh, you're going to exsanguinate at lightning speed.
>>
>>52461219
The initiative in the new combat update. It's derived from Ballad of the Laser Whales, the side project of Opaque.
>>
>>52464694
You could roll for it at the end of combat, rather than within it. If you're wounded, you're probably not going to have a wound so grievous that you will bleed out in seconds AND not he completely incapacitated by the attack that caused that bleeding. Roll on a different scale measured in minutes rather than two second intervals.
>>
>>52455865
>That money shot remains at the bottom
Or should I say moonshot?
Either way this is too lewd for this board !
>>
>>52465274
Maybe keep or adjust the current blood loss count but apply it only after battle? Make a new count for in-battle and make a roll after a round or two, starting after a number higher than 5 preferably.

Me and my friend have been learning the combat system the hard way (by running practice combat again and again), and while he has rekt me more often than not, I find that blood loss knocks me out way before pain or even Stun itself does.
>>
>>52465468
That could work. I think it's ironic, some of the stuff I've seen on the Disco and Roll20 suggest that Jimmy is actually kind of obsessed with Fairbairn, he owns one of his knives, watches Greek translations of his own combat instruction videos (the only surviving versions) and clearly puts a lot of weight on his estimates for bloodloss and death.

SoS is designed to mirror Fairbairn's estimation of reality, not reality itself. It's possible that we're missing something here, though.
>>
>>52467048
I don't know much about Fairbairn, but what I do know is that, unless your opponent stops halfway from actively trying to kill you and focuses on dodging your attacks while preventing you from escaping, you're more likely to be killed by someone's weapon than you are of bloodloss in a fight. If anything, you're only going to die indirectly because of blood loss, i.e. because you're getting light-headed or nauseous from the lack of blood, making you less effective in combat.
>>
>>52465243
>When Jimmy got drunk that one weekend
You're going to have to be more specific.
>>
>>52459867
>the problem is that if it takes too long, it won't be relevant in combat, so why would you have it be a factor at all.
For inspiration, look at what the other games do
>>
>>52467764
Excuse the newfag, but what would these other games be?
>>
>>52467048
>SoS is designed to mirror Fairbairn's estimation of reality
I very highly doubt that's true. Jimmy has never said anything to that effect. In all these interviews, in all the years here, he describes the game combat as realistic, not as Fairbairn
>>
>>52467815
Bovine, Band of Bastards, and Riddle of Steel itself
>>
>>52467845
Well what I mean is, the times reflected seem to suggest that what Jimmy THINKS is true is what Fairbairn wrote, so those two would be one and the same.
>>
>>52467863
I can find BoB and RoS, but nothing of Bovine. Well, a podcast called Divine Bovine pops up, but otherwise nothing.
>>
>>52468202
blade of the iron throne not bovine. Bovine is what we call it
>>
if a maneuver costs [n+x], where n = however many dice the move requires, do you include it in the actual roll or is it just a cost?
>>
>>52469671
It's a cost. If you have 13 CP, you can make an n+2 attack at 11 dice max
>>
Is there a rule about armor getting banged up? Because landing 14 damage on armor that soaks enough for TOU to clean up is damn frustrating.
>>
>>52462001
Yes yes yes
>>
>>52470745
No, that's retarded.

>>52470738
Some weapons have Crush, which damages armor even without successful hits. It's a feature of most anti-armor polearms.
>>
>>52470858
If I actually penetrate through a layer of armor, will the next layer still absorb the damage?
>>
>>52471120
What do you mean?
>>
>>52471399
He's asking if an opponent has a Breasplate over a Heavy Quilted Coat, and he Crushes the the Breastplate to the point that it no longer provides AV, does the Coat then begin providing protection?
>>
>>52471547
Not exactly until it's useless, but if I Crush it until my attack can actually deal damage, will the next layer take effect?
>>
>>52470858
How is that retarded?
>>
>>52471638
Yes. The next lowest armor will take into effect. However, Crush will only damage the top layer until it's destroyed.
>>
>>52459934
I went and asked for a kesh farmer picture to be put into the book. You others go and ask for the great adventurers, kings, gods and knights.
>>
>>52425311
>Insulation: Ignore 1 damage from heat & cold damage. Also they ignore stun from the Burdinadin Shock upgrade.

Wouldn't it be too much to give them resistance from 3 damage types?
>>
>>52471863
it's pathetic waifuism
>>
>>52472339
You're doing God's work.
>>
>>52472589
How is wanting a lady dwarf automatically waifuism, that's dumb.
>>
>>52473630
CAUSE FEMALES ARE DUMB REEEEE - literally everyone here.

Also they're just jelly because they have shit ideas like crocodile man.
>>
>>52473630
It isn't automatically waifuism, but specifying a "cute" one probably is
>>
>>52473763
Because a character isn't allowed to possess a quality that isn't dick stabbing or some other autist trait?
>>
>>52473630
Anything that makes them question their sexuality is dumb. They're quite comfortable in the closet where they are, thank you very much.
>>
>>52473789
Cute isn't a personality trait.

Also Dwarves are disgusting weevilmen, not cute. At least choose a respectable waifurace.
>>
>>52473848
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, bruh. Your mom loves you for some reason.
>>
File: Jimmy, Claymore, Sundowner.png (185KB, 393x241px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy, Claymore, Sundowner.png
185KB, 393x241px
>>52462194
>>
>>52462194
I expected him to be healthy weight, not greying, and attractive.
>>
>>52473630
>>52462001

>a cute female dwarf
You can't move the goalposts on us
>>
>>52474919
2 out of 3 is good enough
>>
We need cute bearded dorf princess.
>>
File: 1480857967055.jpg (91KB, 423x287px) Image search: [Google]
1480857967055.jpg
91KB, 423x287px
>>52478076
No, we need you to kill yourself. Rip off bearded, cute and princess and we might have something ot start from. Making one of the key defining words of a character "cute" is not something we want. Dwarves don't have beards in tattered realms and a princess doesn't have time and is too busy being a princess to fulfil the role of a reoccurring AP iconic character.
>>
>>52478076
>>52478187
What he (the second guy, not the suggester) meant to say was what had been suggested wasn't necessarily a bad idea, but rather, a bad fit for the Tattered Realms setting for the core game. It might work in other settings of course, and if it was your homebrew setting then you're free to have as many dorf princesses as you'd like.

Moving on, is there a way to shred quilted/leather armor in the same manner as Crush? It's just frustrating to deal double digits of damage, only for the all of it to be soaked by the crumbling plate, a Gambeson/hardened leather underneath it + TOU.

One cannot help but become somewhat salty.
>>
File: pour a cup of concrete sugar.png (164KB, 652x493px) Image search: [Google]
pour a cup of concrete sugar.png
164KB, 652x493px
>>52478364
I know what I said, don't change my words. Saying his idea is all perfect in his own little land is wrong and unnecessary. If he makes the perfect garden for his waifu of course it'll fucking match, don't be a retard. Also it's flat a bad idea because of where and when he made it. Ideas don't exist in void.

As for shredding gambeson, leather or quilted, there's no official rule one way or the other. I'd say rule something about doing enough cutting damage would eventually render it useless much like Crushing does for metal armours
>>
>>52478473
I apologize, and thanks for the suggestion.
>>
File: 1462857112584.jpg (26KB, 700x472px) Image search: [Google]
1462857112584.jpg
26KB, 700x472px
>>52478473
>>52478364
>>52478187
There's no reason to be upset lads. Think about the sheer volume of art and such that we're getting for this book at our current funding.. You don't need to worry about any race or idea going uncovered, we're going to make sure that there's a wide, delicious spread of art representing all sorts of characters. I know it may seem stressful deciding on what to choose, but seriously we have like thirty art slots. Everything's going to be represented sooner at some point.
>>
File: UnreasonablyUpset.jpg (99KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
UnreasonablyUpset.jpg
99KB, 960x544px
>>52478187
>>
File: Delag 5-17-2015.jpg (204KB, 1080x1290px) Image search: [Google]
Delag 5-17-2015.jpg
204KB, 1080x1290px
>>52478187
>Dwarves don't have beards in tattered realms
>>
>>52478542
Oh, Jimmy Rome himself. Hiya.

Not really upset about the art or what anyone's said in this thread so far. Just wanted to make his point a little less aggressive or angry-sounding. Could've done a better job at that, admittedly.
>>
>>52478364
Cap Toughness at 4, modified by boons and banes, like in Ballad.

And then set strength damage at 4 modified by boons and banes.
>>
>>52478364
>double digit damage soaked by AV 4 at most, AV 3 more likely leather+TOU
What are you fighting, guys with 6 TOU and doing exactly 10 damage?
>>
>>52478736
Never fight a guy you can't reliably do a wound to either
>>
>>52478187
We need dorf.
>>
>>52478364
Do you know you don't add layered AVs together? Your attack will be intercepted either by their crumbling plate or by their gambeson, not both.
>>
>>52478709
The strength limit would make some of the higher talents useless, though the toughness thing might work. Because really, when you're TOU is enough to stop a well-placed stab with a decent weapon through padding/quilt/leather, then it tends to get ridiculous. Especially when that's both you and your opponent.
>>
>>52478736
>>52478768
He's wearing plate over gambeson/quilted armor. Can wreck the plate, but any damage that goes through the breaking plate is absorbed by the second layer. It buys him enough time to kill me and my somewhat accurate recreation of Viking Armor. Unlike him, I didn't optimize my armor to only be vulnerable against bullets.
>>
>>52478826
What he's saying is: You use the AV profile of your highest Value, it is not additive aside from the Layer property on certain pieces of armor.

Therefore:
If you have Plate.
And you've done 5 crushing damage to it; bringing it 6 AVB down to 1AVB
And you're wearing leather under it

and then he hits your tummy again with the same mace, it would resolve against the leather as in Leather + TOU and not Plate + Leather + TOU

because 3 AVB Leather > 1 AVB Broken Plate

this is how you get shit like Draw to activate also, once armor has been crushed to 0 AVB the hard property no longer applies.
>>
>>52478925
My head is strangely as thick as the armor I'm struggling to break. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>52478999
Post both of your character sheets and I'll tell you if anything else has gone wrong
>>
>>52479014
I'm on mobile currently, and the sheets are on my home PC. I'll send them when as soon as I can. Thanks for the help, man.
>>
File: 1477824232001.gif (2MB, 231x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477824232001.gif
2MB, 231x240px
>Page 10
Get it together, guys.

Jimmy, when do we get the rest of your anime images? I need 'em.
>>
>>52479014
http://paste2.org/zhvUAmx6 - My guy
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GPuYW4nhahLusoUegu-JTzzf-i9c-qPh02Dna2_1L1c/edit#gid=0 - His guy
>>
File: 1490521213197.jpg (122KB, 540x668px) Image search: [Google]
1490521213197.jpg
122KB, 540x668px
>>52481557
>Page 8
It's a good time to release stances and mass combat rules
>>
>>52482739
>Stances
Because combat wasn't hard enough.
>>
>>52483029
It wasn't and stances aren't much harder than that
>>
>>52460969
>Chaosisun
A chaos sun honestly sounds like an interesting concept.
>>
>>52478999
Shit nigga, you were adding AVs together? Like the people in that podcast were doing during the kickstarter?

No wonder you were so frustrated
>>
Would it be too much to ask someone to run me through a combat scenario? Not sure if I'm doing everything right.
>>
>>52484302
>https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
See if there's anyone about.
>>
>>52481557
Whose face is that?
>>
>>52478573
>dwarvern
was this intentional?
>>
Don't know which one of these anons you are, but if you're read this Mango, thanks.
>>
A single round is essentially two maneuvers per combatant, right? A attacks, B blocks, B suceeds, then B attacks and A blocks. But what happens if B fails to block? Does A keep initiative and get another attack? If this is specified in the rules somewhere and I'm just an idiot feel free to point me to it, but I didn't see this explicitly stated anywhere.
>>
>>52486756
If B fails his defence A will retain the initiative.
>>
>>52486756
>>52486990
Defense almost always gains initiative on success unless otherwise noted. If it fails, the offense keeps it.

Don't get hit.
>>
Hey Visionary Noble backer here, would someone be kind enough to post me a discord link so that I can talk over some stuff with people who know the setting better than I do? I just want my request to be in line with things, and don't want to be an idiot.
>>
>>52486756
A round consists of two phases; Action 1 & Action 2.

The order of operations in an Action is

>Anyone at any time can state & resolve an instant maneuver
>The person w/ initiative declares any one single maneuver
>The person w/o initiatve then declares any one single maneuver
>either person announces feints or quick defenses

Simultaneous Maneuvers allow two maneuvers to be done within a single action.
No one is ever obligated to do a defense, it's just a good idea usually.

Afterwards you roll for Bleed. This concludes the Round.

If both participants are still alive/fighting then another Round begins.
Pain is determined.
Combat Pools are refreshed minus the active pain(Total Pain - Grit = Active Pain) a character has
>>
>>52487545
Just talk about it in the thread bucko. Discord is cancer.
>>
>>52487545
Here, https://discord.gg/zzTq7Xw

Though, you're probably better off just talking more of it in here. The server is full of Danes, food and video game critique and Jimmy's rants on politics.
>>
Possible Jimjam sighting

>>52458426
>>
>>52489939
Kill yourself
>>52487545
Talk about it here, is that not why we're here?
>>
>>52487545
>would someone be kind enough to post me a discord link so that I can talk over some stuff with people who know the setting better than I do?
The fuck? You're literally in a thread with people who know the setting better than you do. Post here.
>>
>>52491517
>>52491685
He was asking about necromancy and the possibility to use it for good.
>>
>>52491762
Oh no. One of those.
>>
File: 1477064054756.jpg (115KB, 860x747px) Image search: [Google]
1477064054756.jpg
115KB, 860x747px
>>52491762
Well the answer is NO*, word of Jimmy. The necromantic forces themselves are actively malicious and jealous of life. While it is possible to use undead for positive, their very presence causes life to wither and die, and if their assigned task can be interpreted to involve killing life it will automatically do so. If you tell them to build a wall out of the stone you have provided, they'll do so but all the local flora and fauna will die weakest first. Tell them just to build a wall nearby and they'll probably try build it out of bones. They need stupid amounts of active supervision and they constantly try to supersede the will of the necromancer to gain freedom.

>Soulless
>They have no personalities by default, only a deep desire to destroy life and spread the Dark Fire. They are not totally dumb—they can use stealth, set simple ambushes, navigate treacherous areas as best as their bodies will allow, and recognize and avoid obvious danger
Pg 1 of the undead pdf
>Darkfire Aura
>Living things suffer around the Walking Dead, even when the creatures cannot physically injure them.
Pg 1 of the undead pdf
>Raise Undead [4+X]
>The Dark Pyromancer causes corpses to rise up and become undead. The Pyromancer is not automatically in control of these Undead unless he uses Dominate Undead to force them to obey him.
Pg 8 of the Star Vampires and Expanded Dark Pyromancy Book
>>
>>52492573
Someone said that radioactive things in right context can be useful.

But this radiation actively desires the destruction of all life. That desire is the driving force of this radiation. It doesn't just happen like warmth from a fireplace, it actively plans, plots and desires the death of everything. It's radiation with a mind, and that mind is purely malicious.
>>
>>52492573
>>52492707
If they generate heat then you can build a Reactor out of them.

Granted the electricity itself could become tainted and just kill everyone using it

Probably not a lot of rubber armor out there either, in case it becomes a sentient electricity that conducts itself through the living
>>
>>52492573
There goes my "Insane Necromancer Campaign".

>>52493126
Wouldn't the material the reactor is made of wither/rot away with the amount of undead you'd have to put? Not counting the fact that they're not going to want to stay there and attempt to break it themselves.
>>
>>52493584
What if you give them a reason to stay in there? I don't know, pile in virgins and newborns?
>>
>>52493584
Well, you can still have an insane necromancer campaign. It's just not like to last long.
>>
Im glad that its hard to use necromancy for good thats always the worst in DnD
>>
>>52493584
That entirely depends on

>What is considered to be alive
>How the death field works

If its just going to cause all nearby material to crumble, somehow, then alright - we might have to do some more research.

If the death field reliably works at a constant rate in some way- breaking down materials- then you could maybe use a pit of Skeletons as some sort of recycling plant instead.
Or find something that produces heat as it breaks down, thorium maybe

Just gotta worry about them Star Vampire environmentalists
>>
>>52493655
At this point, if we don't find out how to make electricity with these undead, then we might be able to make a smelter of some sort with all this talk of heat.
>>
>>52493921
Why do people think the undead give off heat?
>>
>>52493941

>>52492707
>>52493126
Train of thought and escalation.

Does it bother anyone that when you get Disarmed in a bout you're suddenly capable of doing less? Even if the maneuvers you'd do during that wouldn't involve a weapon? I get that getting disarmed in any situation limits your options during it, but someone with Tier 2 Proficiency suddenly losing the ability to even move as much as usual without a weapon in hand sounds weird.
>>
>>52494001
Yes, that's why in the last tournament we had houserules for that. The maneuver rules have not been updated in two years.
>>
>>52494038
Anyone have a copy or at least an idea of what these were? Cause all I can think of is keeping half of the proficiency of your last used weapon, unless your Unarmed is higher than that.
>>
>>52494060
it was just that you could do any superior maneuvers you knew from pugilism or grappling if you knew them even if you were armed
it's the backwards of what you're talking about
>>
>>52494096
It doesn't seem to solve the CP problem whenever you're disarmed, but that works too.
>>
>>52494147
The CP thing is sort of based on the idea that you're off balance, and not as familiar training in this sort of situation. You have to shift stances.
>>
>>52494182
Oh. Makes sense.

And seeing as I'm on a roll with my questions; to those who've ran one-shots or campaigns, how do you write up your NPCs and the opposition?
>>
>>52493655
I'm almost positive that the motive behind it is to explain why necromancy hasn't resulted in a post-scarcity society yet. The potential negative effects of using the undead for ANYTHING except killing and destroying are so high that it just isn't practical.

That doesn't mean people won't try it, though. Possibilities for failed necromantic utopias spring to mind. Some would-be savior thinks he's found a way to harness the power of skeletons to feed his people, THIS TIME it won't end in disaster, we just need to be extra, extra careful.

And six months later something goes wrong and millions of skellies are rampaging through the countryside.while hundreds of Paladins are dispatched to clean it up, like Undead Chernobyl.
>>
>>52494239
I only make a full character if they're a very, very important character. Otherwise, I use mooks with straight 4's and a combat pool adjusted to meet the player's. Within two or so of the average character's CP. Sometimes they get a talent or two.

If the foe is supposed to be a cut above the rest, like a professional soldier, they get straight 5s. If they're a real hard nigga, they get straight 6's, but this is basically miniboss mode.
>>
>>52495062
>straight 4's and a combat pool that meets the players
Are the PC's really that ordinary in combat ability, or are they only meeting their peerage? I feel that more than say, 8-10 in proficiency is a notable level of skill, where you stop being an ordinary soldier. I dunno.
>>
File: anime_girl_reaction_face (93).jpg (461KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_reaction_face (93).jpg
461KB, 1280x720px
>Reading Jimmy's draft for the Volgin history up to CWII

Soviet Alt-History needs to be an entire genre. This shit is hilarious.

>Not!Trotsky's faction is called the Pensnezarists
>Poland ends up invading during Soviet Civil War in 1932
>Mongol Empire reasserts itself in the East after everything breaks down
>>
>>52494520
>post-scarcity
>not post-scarecity
>>
>>52495108
At the PCP we generally play at, the players have CPs ranging from 6 to 14 (depending on combat focus), putting them at a range somewhere between barely trained militiaman and moderately competent warrior.

The scale I use is thus:
Everyone has at least one or two points in something, simply from having swung sticks around as kids.
Basic militia training or a lot of raw experience is a CP of 7-10. Solid training is a CP of 11-15. High quality soldiers and knights have CPs of 16-20. Well trained, experienced knights have CPs of 21-25, and the absolute experts of the craft have CPs of 26-34.

When I say that I set CPs to the player I don't mean that I have Skyrim level scaling. I more try to make it so the scenarios they're in will put them up against equally competent fighters. Sometimes, I'll have them fight a bunch of scrubs if they reach high power so as to remind them how far they've come.
>>
>>52486196
Pertti “Spede” Pasanen. An actor
>>
File: goodkind.jpg (9KB, 250x311px) Image search: [Google]
goodkind.jpg
9KB, 250x311px
>>52495114
>Soviet history retold by le ebin /pol/tard
I can't wait until we get to the part where the saintly Capitalist Americans swoop in on giant eagles to save those poor retarded Socialists from the horrors of Soviet Mordor.
>>
>>52495345
Ruskie pls, USSR was always a shit.
>>
>>52495195
>>52495195
1. What PCP does your group usually play at?
2. What's the biggest number of opponents you've thrown at them? Was it hard to track all the wounds, pain, bleed, and shock of that many NPCs?
3. How often did they willingly start a fight?
>>
>>52495345
The Rahoos are not involved at all. There is no space-america.

It's more like a British/German funded Cossack uprising in the Ukraine, followed by a German Nazi/Communist funded Trotskyist coup, followed by Poland invading Belarus and the Ukraine.

Somehow still managed to work a betrayal of the cossacks in there too. These names have to be placeholders though, Ukraine is called Khmelnytskia and Poland is literally just called Poland.
>>
>>52495390
I'm sure it'll be good. Bit of an underdeveloped part of the setting right now.
>>
>>52495390
In Ballad, Poland is literally called Poland and is floating somewhere under Chiron
>>
File: rare jimmy.png (1MB, 864x1105px) Image search: [Google]
rare jimmy.png
1MB, 864x1105px
>>52495947
>Hellscape dystopian dieselpunk setting
>Poland is completely unchanged

Absolutely Dictablanda.
>>
>>52495373
>>52495195
On the topic of combat pools, what generally is considered "average"? If I wanted to make a meh fighter, what CP range would I be shooting for? Just trying to get a feel for the system.
>>
File: 42744194.jpg (54KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
42744194.jpg
54KB, 722x349px
>>52496055
>>
>>52496277
I think it's safe to say that somewhere around 12-16 CP is about average. It's enough to safely attack and defend with, assuming you can act during two of the three phases each round.

Now, my experience in playing the game is completely based in 1v1 combat against my nigh-undefeatable friend, so I might be very wrong.
>>
>>52496277
About 9 I feel. That's an average man, with enough training to get his tier 1 manuevers. He's not quite approaching skilled (10+), and that's with his absolutely normal ADR score of 4.
>>
What was usually worn under a brigandine, who usually employed them, how effective were they, could you rely on a brigandine alone for most of your armour needs and how light/heavy would they have been?
>>
Ballad question: There's commies, but there's only really China commies and California commies, right? Does that mean this is a setting without Tito?
>>
>>52497573
That's more of a historical question, friend. But I'll try anyway.

According to Wikipedia, it's a "cloth garment, generally canvas or leather, lined with small oblong steel plates riveted to the fabric." It shared it's design with modern flak jackets and ballistic vests; cloth vest on the outside, metal plates on the inside.

T'was commonly worn over Gambeson (the Quilted armor from the rulebooks if I'm not mistaken) and a mail shirt. Though obviously not as protective as plate armor was, it granted the user much more flexibility in comparison. T'was used by soldiers ranging in rank from Archers to Knights, but most commonly by Men-At-Arms.

They were likely effective for whatever they might've costed at the time, since they were invented in the late 14th century and remained in use well into the 16th. They were also simple enough for even a soldier to make and repair for the most part, which helped with it's popularity.

A quick search says that, while the original weight varied from piece to piece, the modern reproductions are around 8-9kg.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>52498018
There's no better board than /tg/ when it comes to history. We may have birthed /his/ but it's a shithole filled with "philosophy" read shitposting and the dregs of /int/ and /pol/ yelling at each other
>>
>>52498018
Hey thanks for your reply man. I should of specified that I wasn't looking for 'in-game' answers to my questions but as >>52498088
I've kind of gotten used to just talking about history in these threads.
>>
File: Joueur_d'épée (1).jpg (105KB, 440x927px) Image search: [Google]
Joueur_d'épée (1).jpg
105KB, 440x927px
So what's with the wave bladed Zweis?

Speaking of Zwei's, what's a decent backup weapon for it, just any kind of long bladed dagger?
>>
>>52498440
The game is vaguely 16th century but with all these crazy twists, but most of my answers came from real life. Well, Wikipedia and a webside about historical reproductions, but IRL nonetheless.

>>52498666
Depends, really. Zweihanders were used in fairly large groups against pike formations during battlefield situations, and were probably unwieldy to use outside of it due to its size. If anything, your back-up for it should be a shortsword or a longsword, should you need to fight solo opponents.

As for the wave-bladed design, it's a flamberge. Helped with catching swords or pike shafts when parrying or chopping respectively.

Not sure if this is true within the context of SoS' fluff and mechanics, but I hope this helps
>>
Where is all the lore from ballads located?
>>
>>52499259
Nowhere. There's a wiki but it has fuck all.
>>
>>52499259
Ballad isn't even officially a game yet, so it doesn't have its own wiki, but I think some of the stuff is up on the TR wiki.
>>
>>52496277
Jimmy says an average soldier has around 8. For PCs, I say you need at least 10. With less than 10, combat is very boring l. Your chances of hitting or pulling off a fancy maneuver - without going all-in - are too low with less than 10 dice. That's especially true with TN 8. For your PCs to have fun and explore the depths of the combat system, ensure they have 10 at the very least, and ideally more around 14.
>>
>>52499123
>As for the wave-bladed design, it's a flamberge. Helped with catching swords or pike shafts when parrying or chopping respectively.
[Citation needed]
No one knows what good a wavy blade actually does.
>>
>>52499799
You're right about that. But some sites say (including wikipedia) that "when parrying with the blade, it can cause a series of unpleasant vibrations which can disrupt the technique of anyone who isn't correctly prepared."

I was clearly off with the info I'd previously found, but the design does look like it'd catch onto things easier.
>>
>>52499926
well, wikipedia is utter untrustable shit when talking about weapons.
>>
>>52499926
No it fucking doesn't. A wavy blade looks cool, that's literally it, it doesn't do anything practical
>>
>>52499926
Looks don't mean much when studying weapons. We need actual sources for this stuff and despite flamberges being around in fantasy for decades, no one knows what effects they actually have. Nothing about "catching blades", nothing about "vibrations." No one can say what they do. Maybe they were just done because it was more challenging for the smith, we don't know. Wikipedia is garbage for historical weapons articles.
>>
>>52500193
Wavy blades are easy to do for a smith. Wavy blades that have a consistent wave across any length are fucking hard to do, so they were probably just showing off
>>
>>52499630
>>52499374
>>52499259
Wiki:
http://ballad.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Void_Wiki

Feel free to add stuff to it.
>>
>>52500079
Also really bad about heresies. I suspect it's just shit in general for information older than a hundred years or so.
>>
>>52499753
Jimmy, once again, doesn't understand how his system works and sets the average CP way below the competency level.
>>
>>52478364
Just for that I'm going to have my character be a cute ohanedin girl and the only sword she touched is the flesh kind.
>>
>>52499123
>Depends, really. Zweihanders were used in fairly large groups against pike formations during battlefield situations, and were probably unwieldy to use outside of it due to its size. If anything, your back-up for it should be a shortsword or a longsword
Longer swords like Zweihanders were useful when knowing you had to defend against multiple opponents.

>>52498666
Anything that can be quick-drawn easily. I'm a big fan of the Bowie Knife, Degan, or Rondel for that sexy TTN: 6(+1p).
>>
>>52494001
What weirds me out the most is how your pain tolerance is directly correlated with your weapon proficiency. You can be disarmed, lose 2 cp (noble school), and go from being able to still stand and fight to 100% incapacitated.
>>
>>52504303
At 2 CP, you'd already be on your last legs.
>>
>>52504430
Ive won fights with 2cp left.
>>
>>52500248
>wavy blades are easy
>wave blades are hard
Which is it?
>>
>>52504303
You could have a noble school in spear and have 7 CP left, then drop the spear and default to one of the unarmed, bringing you to 0 CP
>>
>>52504765
Christ.
Yeah, the abstraction kind of breaks down here, doesn't it?
>>
File: OJoi7Rq.gif (933KB, 220x250px) Image search: [Google]
OJoi7Rq.gif
933KB, 220x250px
>>52503980
>>
>>52503980
Ohanedin grils are best.
>>
File: Archery Lessons.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Archery Lessons.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Hey, I'm kind of new to the system, played one character with a focus on blunt/wrestling. I could use some help with my next one.

What should I focus my build on on for an archer (probably a composite warbow)? Is it viable to go full Legolas or will I need some melee safety? What's an average missile pool look like? Best abilities? Any feats?

I kind of want them to be quick thinker, too. Last character was a brickhouse, I couldn't really make them perform inventive solutions to problems in-character.
>>
>>52508745
sorry, boons/banes*, or talents*, not feats.
>>
>>52504803
Hence why I think you should keep like half of your proficiency from your last wielded weapon in your CP when you're disarmed, instead of immediately losing competence.

As mentioned previously by someone else:
>>52494182
If that's the case, then we could just have the character regain the aforementioned portion of proficiency after the length of a full round (i.e. 3 phases) when they get disarmed.

Thoughts?
>>
File: SarahG.png (1MB, 908x636px) Image search: [Google]
SarahG.png
1MB, 908x636px
>>52508745
>>
>>52508745
You're going to want a sidearm, just in case. Shooting people two feet away in the face, but that's going to be hard.
>>
>>52509489
>>52508745
In this instance I think by "sidearm" he means "melee weapon."

For maximum bow chicanery, be a Zell with a wheelbow. You will need decent strength for most powerful bows, though, so don't forsake that.
>>
>>52504711
Wavy blades are easy
Wavy blades that look good are fucking hard
>>
Are there guides for beasts/monsters of varying sizes? I'd imagine an ogre or a troll would have different stats than, say, a man-at-arms from the 15th century.
>>
>>52511771
Soon(tm)
>>
File: dadudu.jpg (175KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
dadudu.jpg
175KB, 800x508px
>>
>>52512257
Looks okay, I guess? No context or whatever, but yeah.
>>
File: zhugennuo.jpg (205KB, 759x800px) Image search: [Google]
zhugennuo.jpg
205KB, 759x800px
>>52512419
>>
Ah shit, I should probaby do that backer survey
>>
>>52513290
Or don't, and Jimmy and Co are left with the haunted feeling of someone that supported them died before the game got into print.
>>
File: IMGP8304.jpg (78KB, 557x880px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8304.jpg
78KB, 557x880px
There's supposed to be Kamen Burdinadin who have some Panzercop-style troops, complete with machine guns. Do you think this would make a nice blend with the Jin Roh/Pancercop soldiers? Not so much the helmet as the rest.
>>
>>52513185
That looks pretty cool. What was the common draw weight of a crossbow back then anyway?
>>
>>52513617
Don't know any numbers, but the zhuge nu would have been considerably weaker than proper one shit crossbows.
It was used for fucking hundreds of years too.
>>
>>52513185
Get outta here 10o
>>
>>52514251
10o?
What is this meme?
>>
File: dUmTKaC[1].jpg (185KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
dUmTKaC[1].jpg
185KB, 800x450px
>>52514552
My bad
>>
File: nothinglikemodernreproductions.jpg (939KB, 2868x1988px) Image search: [Google]
nothinglikemodernreproductions.jpg
939KB, 2868x1988px
>>
>>52515525
oops bigger than it was supposed to be
>>
File: file.png (482KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
482KB, 960x1200px
Ballad kickstarter when?
>>
>>52515525
Yo, china weapon dude, have you done rooster claw swords yet?
>>
>>52516535
In two years, if everything goes right.

Take in account all "Your estimation is wrong" biases, and it will happen in 2060.
>>
File: wep1.jpg (464KB, 1000x681px) Image search: [Google]
wep1.jpg
464KB, 1000x681px
>>52516702
yup
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.