[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 410
Thread images: 24

File: paladins.jpg (51KB, 736x512px) Image search: [Google]
paladins.jpg
51KB, 736x512px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52382683

So, what's your opinion on different paladin oaths?
>>
Asking again..

Any recommend stat array for STR valor Bard? We're using 27-point buy.

Currently thinking Half-Elf with...
15(+1) 12 13(+1) 8 10 14(+2)

Planning on taking expertise in athletic and get shield master. Might mess around with Overrun and other action option too.
>>
>>52386176

Bard 19 and 20 is objectively the worst in the game

>No new spells known
>Capstone is literally worse than any level 1 attribute in the game

Why not do a little soul bargaining then? Seems like right up a Bard's alley
>>
>>52386194
first for the druid is in the wrong and the wizard is right
>>
Asking for thought an awaking my druid's beard (which is filled with plants) I've already posted this in a few threads but am eager to hear more feedback on it
>>
>Devotion
It's pretty okay. Standard paladin if you want to play standard paladin.
>Vengeance
More of a grey area, can be murderhobo if wanted.
>Oath of Ancients
Objectively the coolest, most awesome core oath. A lot of leeway and can be played in a lot of different ways.
>Oathbreaker
Evil laughter.jpg
Also OP as fuck.

>Conquest
Interesting idea, but hard to actually play in a group environment.
Also a bit weird that it's called Conquest but builds a lot on fear effects.
>Treachery
I really like the fact that we have Blackguards back in some form. I think it's a really neat type of mercenary character, though some will argue that "REEEEEEE PALADINS CAN ONLY BE GOOD", but I think it's a breath of fresh air.
Oh and it's also OP as fuck.

Any I forgot/other input?
>>
>>52386242
Why not both? We all know that Nuclear Druid is the best Druid / Wizard
>>
>>52385953

I did put 3 levels of Warlock on my Red Dragon Sorcerer Kobold, picked Tiamat for Patron for that sweet sweet Pseudodragon familiar

I'm going for a theme
>>
>>52386242
ignore him he's going to ruin another thread
>>
>>52386242
If only the wizard could forcecage himself.
>>
>>52386240
I mean yeah, anything could be made to work with the right justifications.
My character is going from 3 levels of Fey pact into bard which fits fairly well in the bigger picture. I will say that you should run these things past your DM or so.
>>
>>52386282
Kek
>>
>>52386282
Can we please not force this meme
>>
>>52386115
Warlock is fine until like 18th level. Whenever every other caster starts getting multiple 6th level spells but you're stuck to 1.
>>
>>52386264
You forgot crown.
>>
So I'm trying to make a HP sponge at level 5 and the best I can come up with is Barb Bear3/Druid Moon 2. Am I missing something that got more beef?
>>
>>52386330

Isn't that the drawback of dipping two warlocks tho? You're always going to loose that 6th slot
>>
>>52386334
THANK YOU, I knew I forgot one.

>Crown.
This can also be a pretty interesting choice depending on the campaign. If you're running a very urban campaign with an emphasis on "dah gubbaments and da king", it can provide for some quality roleplay and twists in the story.
Mechanically it's pretty okay as a team player of sorts which is what it was meant to do I suppose.
>>
>>52385520
I'm going to be running White Plume Mountain pretty soon. Looks pretty nice. I might make the Super-Tetanus more intense and change the Sphinx riddle.

>dust settled
>official release date hasn't passed
>>
File: WhatIsOathOfTheAncients.jpg (64KB, 485x742px) Image search: [Google]
WhatIsOathOfTheAncients.jpg
64KB, 485x742px
>>52386264
>>Oath of Ancients
>Objectively the coolest, most awesome core oath. A lot of leeway and can be played in a lot of different ways.
You, sir/madam, have excellent taste.
>>
>>52386343
Warlock3 for armor of agathys on 2nd level slots and the rest barb?
I mean it's a bit niche, but when you want to soak, you can soak pretty hard.
>>
>>52386347
I don't know, having 2 more shields each short rest could be just as usefull.
>>
if you can just forcecage genitals then would it mean its the best magical version of a chastity device?
>>
>>52386343
Moon Druid 4 get you a Giant Octopus form which is a giant meatwall (52 hp, reach, auto restrict on hit)
>>
>>52386264

Devotion is a pretty important oath if you want to play Big Fucking Sword paladin
>>
>>52386238
>Going strength solely for the purpose of higher athletics

It's probably more important to actually have at least 14 dexterity than +1 or +2 on your shove attempts.
But.. Eh, I suppose it's not a massive deal. You can probably get heavy armour proficiency at some point with +1 strength if you really want to go up that route.

Well, whatever, it's probably fine. You're making full use of extra attack if you're going for shove+grapple.
Just, if you want to get heavy armour it seems like it'd be a good idea in the very very long run to get 17 charisma to start with, +1 cha, +1 str, then heavily armoured.. But in the long run valor kinda loses its charm.

Yes, whatever, enough of my rambling. I'd say that's a perfectly fine plan for a character, and it's kinda hard to fuck up playing a valor bard.
>>
>>52386240
The Superior Inspiration is pretty lackluster, 1 more bardic inspiration per fight if you spend them all before any fighting (which you totally are allowed to do), but you shouldn't discount the 6th and 7th level spell slot, or level 19's ASI. Is level 1 sorcerer that good?
>>
>>52386194
Can Mystics use whatever Disciplines they want or can they only take Order specific Disciplines?
>>
>>52386384
Ancients did rekindle my love for paladins after playing a lot of them in the older editions. Can't praise it enough for being different, but also very alluring.
>>
>>52386415

If your DM allows Shadow sorcery it's something worth thinking over, I guess.
>>
Why does /5eg/ keep trying to sell me "Dex is better stat then Str", if all the best weapons in the game are heavy polearms?
>>
>>52386420
They can take whatever they want, except the 2 bonus disciplines for all non-soulknife orders MUST be from the order you belong to.
>>
>>52386431

Especially in cases where you multiclass into something that has level 1 spells overlap with your bard spells, so you can retrain those premium Spell Known slots into something more clutch at higher levels.
>>
>>52386437
dex is a better stat

but you need str if you are minmaxing for dpr
>>
>>52386437
AC, Damage, Initiative, more commonly required Saving Throw.

Dex just does more. It's a better stat.
>>
>>52386466

more skills too
>>
>>52386439
That's AWESOME! Holy shit I'm going to have the strongest character ever. hahah i have more abilities than the faggot wizard

BTFO MAGIC KEKS PSI POWER
hahah have fun NEVER being played unless someone is going to multiclass into you hahahah
>>
>>52386343
>>52386397
Barbarian1(or3)/Warlock1(or2)/AbjurationWizardX is a walking 'fuck you' pain train with armor of agathys. But it takes a while to get better spell slots to do that stupid shit with. You could probably just remove the barbarian levels and take more wizard levels instead for a better ward and eventually stoneskin or something.
But you really should go abjuration wizard with armor of agathys.

Moon druid is always an HP sponge.

Barbarogue is a pretty good sponge, too. Rage+Uncanny dodge = 1/4 damage taken from an attack (if it even hits, when a dex barbarogue gets 22 base AC from shield+20dex+20con)
Evasion + danger sense = dex saves do jack shit to you.
Str + con save proficiency.
12 starting HP, 4d12s after that and then rogue levels after that. More health if you keep stacking on +con at ASIs.

In any case, barbarian1/moondruid2 sounds like a crazy damage sponge for the low levels and your DM might actually get angry at you for using it.
>>
Can someone give me ideas for a Goblin Deepstalker X/Rogue 1 who's preferably good.
>>
>>52386397
>>52386411
Isn't the resistance to pretty much all damage a pretty big thing to pass up on if you want to be the tankiest there ever was?
>>
>>52386437
Because the only exceptions are when you use polearms.
>Paladin (Why bother going dex?)
>Str Barbarian (You can bother going dex for tankiness)
>Str Barbarogue (Kinda because barbarian, kinda because grapples.)
>Str Fighter (You can bother going dex for much more combat versatility and keeping out of danger but very slightly less damage and slightly less AC.)
>>
So I just finished my first real large fight in a new campaign.
3rd level warlock, half orc using Mace of Dispater and Cloak of Baalzebub(not entirely sure if it's the right name), with 18 strength and fuckall armor.

Our DM had us roll stats in order, but was fairly kind in that we rolled 4d6, removed lowest. I ended up with 0 dex modifier.
Am I stuck on a whopping 11 dex or should I consider going into a multiclass?

I tend to try to avoid multiclassing but I am just a walking punching bag right now and not entirely sure how I can solve that. I probably could get medium armor proficiency and a shield but that'd open up the issue with having to have a free hand to cast spells.
>>
>>52386437
>barely any STR skills
>Lots of DEX skills
>STR skills barely come up
>DEX saves are more relevant
>DEX can increase AC
>DEX improves initiative

It's just better all round.
>>
Question: If a Wu Jen Mystic takes the Find Familiar spell using their 6th level ability, Arcane Dabbler, can the familiar deliver touch effects generated by psionic disciplines or talents? (IE Mastery of Light and Darkness's Light ability)
>>
>>52386522
>>52386437
Actually, yeah. To expand on my post.

Strength has three uses:

Strength barbarogues (Grappling)
Shield master (Shoves)
Polearm Mastery (DPR)
That's literally it. If you don't want one of those, go dex.
>>
>>52386504
you can always put up 1 barb to get like 70% of the resistance you will face.
>>
>>52386549
RAW no, but again, playtest material. I'd allow it. You're ultimately just putting your familiar in potential danger .
>>
>>52386489
Barbarouge is so nice. Getting both expertise and advantage on grapples makes for a pretty go controller even if you don't max out STR.
>>
>>52386414
I like longsword. It's really hard to find a way to use it... everyone else is either going for rapier or polearm.
>>
How do you handle players who rolled shit stats?

Got a Warlock who has 8 Str, 9 Dex. During spellcasting he's fine, but he can't ever hit anything in combat.
>>
>>52386549
Allow it man we are the best class. literally we can do anything. im going to 1 v1 the wizard next session and blow him out. hahah this class is so amazing dude

i carry every fight and im the face of the party BLOWING OUT the paladin he seriously HATES me but hey im just better plus i just mind control him when he starts acting up hahahahah
>>
>>52386549
> Finally, when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch

Guess what doesn't count as SPELL?
>>
>>52386606
>During spellcasting he's fine, but he can't ever hit anything in combat.
???
>>
>>52386606
Don't let them roll and use point buy instead.
Otherwise it was just a twist of fate, play the character with the flaws it has.
>>
>>52386606
stop rolling for stats like an educated person who know probability and know social gathering basic etiquette.
>>
>>52386602
Longsword, Shield Master and Heavy Armour on a Fighter. It's not fancy but it's going to be pretty decent, and with Fighter ASI's you can take Alert and maybe even Resilient (DEX) somewhere down the line.
>>
>>52386606
Warlocks only NEED charisma. Con is nice. The other are not a big deal, your job is just to spam eldritch blast anyway.
>>
>>52386549
Are they spells with a range of touch? No? No. Sorry.
>>
File: IMG_2169.jpg (37KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2169.jpg
37KB, 512x480px
I don't use this board much, but I'll drop my dream campaign in here:

Everyone is a bard.

All with different instruments, all with different talents, but they're just a band. They come up with a name and try to go on a shitty little indie tour, and every town they stop in the mayor yells at them to kill a dragon.

It would be the perfect game.
>>
>>52386602
It's a very specific niche. The longsword can be replaced by rapier in every single place it's good at because versatile is honestly almost completely worthless.
So, you need to use sword and board in a case where you shouldn't just go PAM or something. So you get shield master, which also gives you reason to use strength.
And then valor bard gives you extra attack which allows you to make up to two grapples around and gives more reason to trigger shield master's bonus thing.
It's all a bit convoluted if you want longsword to be an 'optimal' pick, but in this very specific case with your character it actually is.
I'd still say it's better than doing it on a fighter or something because expertise in athletics and all the things you can steal with spellcasting will probably make it worth it over fighter.

>>52386606
>Rolling for stats
And how come he can't hit stuff in combat? Is their charisma only 8?
>>
>>52386528
Any input on this?
I am the sketchy party member, and due to circumstances and the gifts that was given to him, he wouldn't be entirely against becoming a man of faith for his patron, effectively becoming a cleric/cultist type of deal.

Is this just a retarded idea and I should stay away from multiclassing?
>>
>>52386678
What instrument would you play in that game? I think I'd go for an electric triangle.
>>
>>52386678
They'd break up half way through the campeign like all bands
>>
>>52386528
>Am I stuck on a whopping 11 dex or should I consider going into a multiclass?
I mean, you can use an ASI to increase your Dex. As a warlock you should have 12 AC (studded leather) or 13 (mage armor invocation). If you take the Moderately Armored feat, that grants you +1 Dex (to reach 12) and up to 16 AC, even without shields.
>>
So with Polearm Master, can you use the extra d4 attack once per turn, or once per attack you make?
>>
>>52386716
"No man! Fuck you, that's it! I told you last stop that we're not killing any more kobolds without telling them they're no longer slaves!"

"Come on, man, you're being a dick. I've got, like, two XP left and-"

"I don't give a shit, alright? It used to be about the music. Now you might as well just be another cleric or wizard or whatever the fuck. We're done,"

He storms away as the third member of the band plays a tune of sorrow on his enchanted keytar.
>>
>>52386678

I did this once, works best if "everyone has a level in" bard

That way you can Paladins Sorcerers Warlocks Swashbucklers and Bards, with all the balance of Healing, Tanking, Utility and DPS it requires
>>
>>52386729
Well, flavor-wise I can't really get rid of either the Mace of Dispater or Cloak of Baalzebul so I won't have access to the mage armor until 5, even so I'd have pretty low AC.
Currently only using leather armor dude to starting the campaign in basically a jail.

Taking moderately armored could work, just wondering if it's worth it compared to going into another class that gives armor proficiency.
Maybe I'm just overthinking it and getting too caught up in /tg/ thoughts?

Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.
>>
>>52386756
Did the other 3 bards leave already
>>
So if I'm going to dip 2 into Fighter on my Ranger, should I just go to 3? I mean if I do that I get either 4 Superiority Dice which is pretty good but I'm not sure if I should go Battlemaster, Scout or Monster Hunter with it.
>>
>>52386782
>access to the mage armor until 5

Buy enchanted Studded Leather armor and save yourself up a Invocation
>>
>>52386804
>Buy enchanted Studded Leather armor
Well I did specify starting in a jail and being literally dirt poor.
Also, our DM doesn't really do the whole "magical item shoppe in random mining village".
>>
>>52386758
Can vouch for this. Played in an all wizard party that felt really divers due to everyone taking diferent schools and dipping into other classes. Obligatory Muscle Wizard was the only one who stayed pure to the art of evocation magic.
>>
File: FF3-RedMage.png (232KB, 405x295px) Image search: [Google]
FF3-RedMage.png
232KB, 405x295px
How do you red mage? Lore Bard??
>>
>>52351502
Dragging up, what, two days old comment for this, but the cross shaped bomb explosion really tickles my bomberman, personally. I'd allow it.
>>
>>52386856
Lore Bard would probably fit pretty well.
>>
>>52386872
> not fighter 1 / favored soul x
>>
>>52386856
Arcana Cleric
>>
>>52386892
His DM might not allow Favored Soul however. Lore Bard is a safe bet.
>>
>>52386901
> can't even use sword
> no cool hats
>>
File: perseusyoudick.jpg (85KB, 736x590px) Image search: [Google]
perseusyoudick.jpg
85KB, 736x590px
>DMing for a group of friends I've played in multiple games with
>start a new campaign, no need to make characters
>party wakes up one at a time in a wizard's laboratory
>shit is exploding, shaking, spellcasters are running around going nuts
>all these statues everywhere, falling over
>spellcasters un-petrifying the statues
>party realizes they were statues
>fucking lasers bust through the door and start exploding everything
>power armor gestapo swoop in and start stomping everything
>wizard shunts the party into an escape tunnel and seals it behind them
>"uh so how do we play if we don't have character sheets"
>hand them their sheets
>they're all 5E-ified versions of past characters they've played that died to petrification
>tfw
WELCOME TO THE FUTURE, FAGGOTS
>>
>>52386856
Bladesinger
>>
>>52386926
Holy shit dude, fund it.
>>
>>52386926
So do you throw medusas at them every session or something?
>>
>>52386782
Well dude, you're a warlock, and Mace of Dispater has reach, right? Work with your teammates, attack from 10ft away while the enemy is locked in melee with your frontliner, then move behind them to gain cover against ranged attacks. Play smart and survive until you can get better armor or more invocations.
>>
>>52386930
No, that's how you Spellfencer
>>
Should I take GWM as a Hexblade or nah?
>>
>>52386951
Nah that's the Old God flail thingy that has reach.
Mace of Dispater is just a regular old mace. Though I have been playing as tactical as I can to avoid getting blown up, but since I am a big half orc that tends to blow people up I also get targeted a lot.
>>
>>52386926
Brilliant!
>>
File: ThisIsHowIWarlock.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsHowIWarlock.png
1MB, 1280x720px
What's a good feat for a warlock that's not warcaster or spell sniper. I was thinking about picking up skilled or magic initiate.
>>
>>52386957
Are you doing a Cursebringer build?

If so, yes.
>>
>>52386989
+2 Cha is a really strong feat.
>>
>>52386989
Anything that fits your character.
Actor can also be good if you're more of a party face or want to take advantage of your charisma.
>>
>>52386926
How the fuck do you have so many petrified characters
>>
>>52386930
Red mage can heal
>>
>>52386945
The characters are all from games we played in going back more than ten years, and I only DMed during one petrification death (a wizard just cast it and that was that).

Two PCs are from a TPK to a gorgon that I was actually a player in. Could have used a third character from that actually but the class spread would have sucked and it's cooler if fewer PCs know each other, so I went with another character who got fucked by putting on gloves made out of cockatrice hide.

The last PC is the best story, because he was purposefully petrified by his party so that he could be given to the BBEG as a gift and installed in his lair as kind of a Trojan horse, to be unpetrified at a later date with a contingency spell on him, but the other character responsible for that died before the plan could be enacted so statue guy was boned forever.

Also, there are no medusas in the future.
>>
> tfw trying to figure out the naming conventions of dragonborn and keep finding conflicting information that might be from older editions
Any help?
>>
>>52386957
Found a guide with dmg:
>Assuming advantage from darkness + devils sight against a 16 AC target.
>(Pact of the) Blade with Rapier (20 Dex, 16 Cha) = 22.75
>Blade with Great Weapon Master (20 Str, 14 Cha) = 33.48 DPR
>>
At what point does a group change alignment, /5e/? My party just slaughtered an entire city guard because they were attempting to put one of the PCs to death for a perfectly reasonable reason.

I didn't come up with the alignment of the guards beforehand, but this is not a corrupt city by any measure. I imagine most of the guards are honest guys who just want to protect their town.

> PCs had multiple opportunities to just escape
> PCs didn't try very hard to RP their way out of the situation
> PCs are getting dangerously used to just killing anyone they don't like to deal with sticky situations

On the other hand though, I didn't say anything about an alignment shift before they started cutting down guard after guard, and I feel I should've at least given some kind of fair warning.

How would you deal with this situation at your table? How would you view it objectively - reason for an alignment shift?
>>
>>52386993
yeah i am, how often should i take the -5? for every attack or nah?
>>
>>52386989
Maybe Resilient to get CON saving throw, although this is kinda warcaster.
>>
>>52387036
Go with what you feel is right.

If you're a player then you might just say that you have a bit of an unorthodox name.
If you're a DM you can just do whatever you want with them.
>>
>>52387038
wow damn thats a hell of a difference thanks
>>
>>52386751
The feat reads "use a bonus action to make a melee attack"
So once per turn, 1 bonus action = 1 attack.
>>
>>52387057
That depends, did they kill them because they felt that the guards were doing them an injustice?
Or did they know why the guards were trying to kill their party member?

If number one, not necessarily, kneejerk reaction to protect themselves in that case.

If the latter however, hit them with an alignment shift if they knew their party member did some bad shit and still fucked up the guards.
>>
>>52387059
When you have advantage, or when you're reasonably certain that you can hit more than 60% of the time ever with the -5.
>>
>>52387036
Brimstone Angels has:
Clan name first, name second.
like Clanless Mehen, or Verthisathurgiesh Mehen.

Also they call their fathers by their names instead of "father, papa" etc
>>
>>52387082
OK, cool.

Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>52387095
The PC was imprisoned for generally causing problems in-town. While in prison, he killed a guard who came into his cell.

The PCs figured they probably couldn't convince the town guard to revoke the death sentence, so they tried to break out by killing everyone. Honestly a few diplomacy rolls could've done the trick... or they could've just broken in and snuck him out.

I'm beginning to think it's probably cause for everyone to change alignment.
>>
File: lizardwithagun.jpg (453KB, 1313x1600px) Image search: [Google]
lizardwithagun.jpg
453KB, 1313x1600px
>>52387036
Dragonborn culture is very similar to 1920-30s Italian mafia families, and their naming conventions follow accordingly.

So you're looking at names like
>Jimmy "Two Puffs" Ragozzi
>Tommy "Karate" Lombardo
>"Fat" Louie Cantarello
>Nicky "the Nail" Carolla
>>
>>52386989
Moderately armoured.

If you have 14 dex and 750gp, it gives you +7 AC.
>>
>>52387146
>I'm beginning to think it's probably cause for everyone to change alignment.
Yes. I mean they literally showed you that instead of trying to get him out the right way, or maybe take an assignment to assure his freedom if they succeed, that they instead just went to murder because it's easier.

Definitely in alignment shift town now man.
>>
Asking again because i need more to fill the list

What are some fun,versatile,interesting boons a sacred object/monolith can give to a player at 1st level and then a equally hindering curse to balance it?

Ide like it to be something at least relatively useful in most situations and hard to get rid of at low levels.
>>
>>52387146
>I'm beginning to think it's probably cause for everyone to change alignment.
One act like that (even if it involves several murders) is not sufficient to change alignment entirely unless characters were already teetering on the edge.

People vastly overestimate the shift that "doing a really bad thing" imparts. Alignment is not a reflection of the shit you've done in the past three sessions, but the course of a character's entire life.

Barring some really wacked out shit that involves demons or angels (or axiomatic outsiders) or some fucked up artifact, there's pretty much no single act you can perform to shift alignment immediately like that.
>>
>>52387158
Moderately armored gives you an extra point of dex, why not go 13 dex and put the other point somewhere else?
>>
tg, dm'ing question about the Hide action

If an enemy takes the hide action and the player just wants to find him, will it cost him an action to do a Perception check?
>>
>>52387059
The more damage you do, the less you want to use it.
The more likely you are to hit, the more you want to use it.

>>52386957
Take agonizing blast, repelling blast, stop fucking with swords and multiclass into sorcerer while enjoying your extra AC and bonus damage.

Or, whatever.

If it doesn't take a bonus action to reapply cursebringer's curse shit, then I'd say yes, take GWM.
>>
>>52387177
Depends on the situation. It's hard to find something useful both out of combat and in combat and still have it balanced.
I mean, if they're exploring a lot, you might have something that puts up a Leomunds Tiny Hut at will but the wearer of said artifact gets progressively more of a neet shutin and doesn't want to leave it.
>>
>>52387198
Yes.
>>
>>52386194
What would be your ideal party in terms of roleplay and stats, as well as how much the visual makes you say "hell yeah!"

>Good Human Paladin who is the party face
>CN Dwarf Frenzy Barbarian who gets drunk and typically swings first
>LG Dwarf War Cleric who keeps his friend in check
>CG Clever, but meek Gnome Illusionist
>Human Fighter
>>
>>52387194
It's less what they did and more how they approached the situation.
The kind of thinking they displayed isn't the thought process of balanced, good individuals if they believed that mass murder is the only way out.

Atleast that's my thought process.
>>
>>52387198
Check the players passive perception.
If the enemy rolled a stealth less their their passive perception, then they don't have to look, they still know where they are.

Otherwise, assuming the hide was a success, then yes. They'd need an active search.
>>
>>52386977
Oh. Well then maybe you should resort to Eldritch Blasting when things get tough for now? Might not be as cool, but it's much more safe to be in range. And as for invocation, you'll probably want Thirsting Blade at level 5 anyway, since you seem to be building for melee.
>>
>>52387201
It doesn't, only the initial casting does.

Cursebringer lets you reapply it as a free action.
>>
>>52387236
Intentions and state of mind have no bearing on whether an act is Good or Evil.

Breaking a man out of prison is un-Lawful and murdering a bunch of law-abiding guards in the process is Evil. The party shifts towards Chaos and Evil, but almost certainly doesn't actually flip alignment over this one act.

If you start thinking about alignment changes every time the party does something surprising or extreme, that shit's gonna happen every three sessions.
>>
>>52387038
>>52387074
That... Doesn't sound awfully helpful.

>Conditional assumption that you have advantage, when darkness may prevent allies from using 'requires line of sight' abilities, enemies might see through it, you might not want to waste an action or spell slot or invocation slot when you already probably want +1/+2/+3 weapon and cursebringer and lifedrinker and thirsting weapon
>Comparing it to... A rapier? Rather than a non-GWM build?
>Not sure what level it is. By the sounds of it, it's level 12 with 3 ASIs and +CHA to damage. Which isn't most levels.

If you do get room for devil's sight though, advantage is pretty nice because higher crit chance = more chance of bonus attack, higher hit chance = GWM's +10 is better.

>>52387197
Well, yes, that would be a good idea I suppose. Unless you also want to take medium armour master for +1 AC and no stealth disadvantage.
>>
>be forever DM
>have so many characters I want to play
>too many even for this lifetime
>don't want to DMPC
>>
>>52387235
>CG Ancients Paladin with a penchant for frivolous behaviour and beautiful women
>LG Bard with glasses and a mandolin with a very reserved type personality
>CN Warlock of some kind with a very loose set of morals
>NG Thief, friend of the warlock who tries to always steer him in somewhat the right direction because they're related.
>LE Cleric that is entirely sick of everyones shit and only works for money, but is exceedingly good at it.
>>
>>52387164
>>52387194
I'm getting mixed messages, so I want you guys to fight.

I guess since most of the characters were neutral to begin with it's not that bad. Maybe shift the good ones to neutral?

The cleric actually abstained from fighting because he thought it was fucked up - just to give some perspective as to how the event was viewed in-game.
>>
>>52387235
>LG human paladin
>CG tiefling rogue
>NG halfling druid
>LN dwarf wizard
>LE drow priestess
>>
>>52387296
I'm the Chief Alignmentfag 'round these parts so just do what I say, okay? Don't shift them over this one act. Changing alignments is like a campaign-long deal. AT LEAST three-strikes these fuckers.
>>
>>52387271
Aye, it is an attempt to make a bladelock work with one of the new invocations.
I suppose I'll have to figure something out. I'm not entirely above multiclassing since some options fit my character quite well, but if I can solve it without multiclassing and not throwing a feat at it then that'd be ideal.

>>52387275
>If you start thinking about alignment changes every time the party does something surprising or extreme, that shit's gonna happen every three sessions.
I mean.. I might only be talking for myself and my friends. We've been playing together for about 15 years now, and I don't think we've ever had an "extreme" party or a party that has done a lot of questionable shit.
>>
>>52387286
>Not sure what level it is. By the sounds of it, it's level 12
Yup, it's level 12, I thought I copied that part, sorry.
>>
>>52387146
You shouldn't change their alignemnt just because of that. However, the fact that they used murder as their first resort should not be forgotten.
You don't necessarily have to make them pay for it, but you definitely should subtly show them how their actions looked from outside.

Also, a death sentence is pretty harsh. How did they earn it?
>>
>>52387235
It'd probably have to be a very much 'same type' party.

For example, everybody fits a common theme.

They might all be worshippers of the same god:
>Zealot barbarian, actually quite the gentleman, throws themself in the way of everything
>Paladin, most outspoken
>Cleric, the calm, wise guy in the party
>Theurgist Wizard, mad scientist sort
>Warlock who isn't actually a worshipper but convinces everybody they are and does it a little too well and somehow gets all the religious responsibilities

Some sort of four elements group would be cool too.

>Wind monk (But WoT4E sucks, so eh)
>Water Land Druid
>Earth Stone Sorcerer
>Fire Artificer
>>
>>52387318
This has just kind of been an ongoing problem, particularly recently. They were trying to procure passage on a sailing ship and after fucking up repeatedly, resorted to sneaking back on board, killing the captain, then tricking the crew into making them think the warlock was the captain. When the crew found out, they killed nearly all of them. Granted, the ship's crew were slave-traders,/spoiler] so not exactly paragons of morality or cause for an alignment shift, but the biggest problem is they keep using murder to get out of RP problems and I'm getting tired of it.

I think what I'm leaning towards is that I won't make them shift alignment this time, but I'll warn the table that if they continue to murder people who are just doing their job/were not necessarily hostile to the party beforehand, shit gon change.
>>
>>52387382
Don't even say specifically what they're doing wrong.

Just drop an ominous "your actions have been noted". If they've done it a lot recently then it's clearly an issue, and I personally would probably strike them with an alignment shift at this point if it's been as much of a problem as you're letting on.

But give them another chance with just saying that their actions have been noted and will have ramifications if it continues.
>>
>>52387335
The death sentence was as a result of killing the guard that came into the PC's cell - it was only for the PC that had killed, the rest of the party were just expected to scram by nightfall for bringing a murderer into town. This is sort of an older, more barbaric setting, where eye-for-an-eye shit flies more frequently, especially as law. It's not seen as morally problematic from a lawful good viewpoint.

I'm planning on in-game repercussions. They'll probably have to deal with problems in the city they'd been using as their HQ, and will be pursued by government ships and mercenaries unless they can find a way to weasel their way into someone's good graces.

Knowing them, though, they'll probably just kill more NPCs.
>>
>>52387382
fuck i fucked up my spoiler tag gdi

i am a retarded
>>
>>52387218
you make a valid point, im looking at the list and im short on ones good for non combat encounters.thanks
>>
>>52387309
I'm neither of the anons who responded previously, but I tend to agree with this one: >>52387296. Tell them out-of-character that their act was unquestionably evil and chaotic. Tell them that pursuing this course of action in more situations will lead to an alignment shift. Then ask them if anyone already wants to change their own alignment, someone might. Then in-game you put wanted posters of these fuckers, 5^(their proficiency bonus)+10*level gp per head.
>>
Spellcaster that only knows level 1 spells, and uses all slots on those level 1 spells.

How far can I get with a character built on this dumb idea?
>>
You have faced mindflyer and lich but have you faced a mindflyer lich?
>>
>>52386989
>no one got the Mighty Boosh reference
It's okay Anon, I love you.
>>
>>52387461
No cantrips?
>>
>>52387461
Orc tribal wise-man, whopping 8int caster.
"ME SHOW YOU THE MIGHT OF DA ARCANE" and throws a magic missile.
In reality he's more barbarian than wizard but he likes to pretend otherwise because he's the smartest one in his tribe.
>>
>>52387461
up to spell slot 9. the main question is would you start even lower with cantrip?
>>
>>52387456
This is actually a pretty cool plot thread - the wanted posters leading to mercenaries and cutthroats constantly pursuing the PCs every time they set foot in a somewhat shady tavern. I like
>>
>>52387491
Post is here >>52386370

I did forget it, but Crown is pretty cool in the right setting.
>>
>>52387177
Absorption of a specific energy type/damage of a specific type, up to a specific limit, per long rest? I.E. Negate the first X fire damage, and after that, it becomes null until the next day or whatever.

Or advantage on a single save of their choosing, but with the same restrictions.
>>
Anyone know of a decent homebrew Sorcerer Bloodline that's themed on the more Lawful end of things? My setting's big on the whole classic Moorcockian Law vs Chaos thing, and I'd like to have a Lawful counterpart to Wild Mage's Chaotic themeing.
>>
>>52386370
I find there's a bit of a disparity between the mechanics of the oath and the presented fluff when it comes to Oath of the Crown. In my opinion, due to one of its channel divinities and its oath features, (especially that 7th level one) Oath of the Crown is the best paladin archetype to represent the self-sacrificing altruistic hero concept, moreso than an enforcer of law.
>>
If I may share, anons, I'm gearing up to run an Urban Arcana game using 5E...with the decided intention of leading the party into Death House and leaving them in the valley of Barovia in the third or fourth session.

The game is starting in New Orleans during a funeral and the party lineup is...

Tech Startup CEO living on credit and borrowed time, Rogue. Won't set foot in the cemetery as his now former business partner is being interred, but takes a troubled smoke over what has come to pass. A mundane human, unaware of and unable to see shadowkind (demi humans and the supernatural) for what it truly is.

A detective what knows the bayou like the back of his damn hand. A half elf; his after was a cop and his mother was from the other side, and a Drow at that. Now he investigates crime scenes and is an expert tracker, more at home on the outskirts of the city, Ranger (revised). He's at the funeral because he needs to investigate the deceased's main business partner and his connection to the underworld...

A Tiefling who always knows how to give the slip, with an awakened mind open to the hidden paths in the world. A con man who can.'to hold his cash for long and a hookup, this Nomad did some low end stuff for the deceased, and is owed money for a job getting illicit goods to a group the Tiefling has only just found out was a domestic terrorist group called the Five Heads of Tyranny.

The funeral director, she's older than she looks...and she looks well maintained since she's risen. An old soul, a revenant in death and Aasimar in life, she's been up and down whenever the tides of shadow come and go over the millennia. Her risen goal just out if reach, this divinely sparked favored soul is connected and knows something strange is going on...because it's been days and the deceased's corpse ain't been pulled back into the shadow.

Now, things work a bit different in Louisiana compared to other places...but that dead man was Dragon Born when she embalmed him.
>>
>>52387456
lol switched the numbers.
>>
>>52387564
I very much agree on that part.
The fluff behind it is very interesting from an RP perspective, but the actual crunch fits in more on a battlecleric than an actual "captain of the guard" type deal.
>>
What are some fun builds that could utilize the skulker feat? Assassin rogue seems like the obvious choice.

Any cool alternatives? Any ways to spice up the assassin?
>>
>>52387235
>LN Earth Genasi Stone Sorcerer who is the face but believes he's just the dumb muscle
>NG Tiefling Vengeance Paladin who desperately wants to be the face but is actually just the muscle
>CN Human Champion who is primarily interested in his own wealth, but has a soft spot for people who are being dicked over by powerful assholes
>NE Halfling Life Cleric that was chosen by his Goddess to act as an emissary of kindness and goodwill, and hates every second of it. Gets along with the fighter though
>TN Half-Elf Lore Bard that just wants a good story to tell, functionally the "moral" center of the party. Employed as legal counsel when not adventuring.
>>
>>52387596
Bugbear assassin with a whip, extra strong sneak attack with 15 feet range.
>attack from the dark and instantly murder someone more or less
>reposition and do it again.

Otherwise a goblin Deep Stalker ranger/rogue hybrid might be real cool.
>>
In the player's handbook when choosing equipment, it has a bulleted list of stuff you're supposed to choose from. Do I choose one from each a/b option on each bullet, or what? How does that work?
>>
>>52387632
Yep, it's an A or B choice.

Like A) rapier or B) shortsword. Choose one.
>>
>>52387632
One option from each bullet. Alternatively, you can roll starting wealth to buy your own equipment at character creation.
>>
>>52387649
>>52387652
Cool, thanks. Don't know enough to buy specific things so just gonna be going for the bulleted stuff.
>>
>>52387478
Can totally be done as an eldritch knight. Would even be playable, and not only as a joke character.

>>52387556
What would a lawful sorcerer even do?
>Once per short rest (or spending some SP?) when you deal damage with a spell, instead of rolling the damage dice, you can use the average + your Cha mod
> When you or another creature you can see make an attack roll, saving throw or ability check, you can spend SP to roll 1d4 and apply it to roll, as a bonus if the dice result was 9 or lower, or as a penalty if the dice result was 11 or higher.
>>
>>52387287
Pro tip.
Usually without even any tweaks they are all NPCs and villains.
>>
>>52387731
>Can totally be done as an eldritch knight. Would even be playable, and not only as a joke character.
Excellent.. one of my first characters was like that. Obviously not optimal at all in combat but roleplay-wise it was amazing.
>>
>>52386410

RAW it doesn't work but 99% of the fun of an ERP campaign is using magic items/abilities for unintended purposes, rulebook be damned.
>>
File: 1445212620464.jpg (77KB, 668x878px) Image search: [Google]
1445212620464.jpg
77KB, 668x878px
>>52387885
>forcecage
>his Cleric doesn't learn Power Word: Geld
It's like you enjoy the bullying.
>>
>>52387779
> villain use PC stats
they will die in 1 round
>>
File: 1486266148912.png (29KB, 219x264px) Image search: [Google]
1486266148912.png
29KB, 219x264px
>>52387919
Jesus fucking christ.

I'm about to deus vult every one of you perverted fucks.
>>
>>52386856
Wouldn't Light Cleric work? Assuming you're an Elf for weapon proficiency.
>>
I'm running Curse of Strahd and my party seems to be getting really attached to Ismark. Has anyone messed around with making him the reincarnation of Strahd's younger brother? My players seem like they really want him to get with Ireena.
>>
>>52387932
Are you straight? You sound straight.
>>
>>52387949
No I'm actually more of a "love doesn't adhere to genders" but leave shit like that out of 5eg, por favor.
>>
>>52387949
What kind of person and/or genitalia has nothing to do with wanting you fuckers to keep it in your pants. If you want to talk about the who and what and how you'll do various magical erotic acts to/on, take it to /pigfucker general/.
>>
>>52386437

5e's transparently balanced so that everyone wants their primary stat + Con. Assuming a pretty good distribution of classes, you should end up with at least one Int, Cha, and Str build and everyone else should be either Dex or Wis, if not both.

Basically, by taking advantage of the tendency of groups not to have multiple people playing the same class, they forced everyone to develop their own niche rather than just be a generalist.

The side effect of that it turns Dex and Wis into the "generic" physical and mental stat, respectively. Anyone who doesn't want something else wants those two.
>>
>>52387626
>goblin Deep Stalker ranger/rogue
Is awesome. You only need one level of Rogue for the 1d6 boost and expertise in stealth thanks to the Goblin Racial abilities.
>>
>>52387920
Yeah, obviously they need to have a jillion more HP though
>>
>>52387976
This here is a smart man.
>>
>>52388056
So it wasn't just in my own head that I thought it'd be a cool fucking build.
Yeah, I'm thinking of playing something like that soon.
>>
>>52388071
> usually without even any tweaks
contradiction!
>>
>>52388088
Ok ok ok. My point is turn your pc ideas into NPCs and have your players encounter/fight them
>>
>>52386606
>During spellcasting he's fine, but he can't ever hit anything in combat.
Did you let this fucking Dumb Shit Fuckstick go Pact of the Blade with 8 Str / 9 Dex? What the fuck is he trying to be, an anime character?
>EVEN IF I SUCK AS LONG AS I KEEP TRYING I WILL SUCCEED
>>
>>52386606
But EB uses Cha
>>
>>52387235
>Paladin
>Paladin
>Paladin
>Cleric
>Cleric
Deus Vult
>>
Anyone here ever tried to get anything published with a small company like Kobold Press?

What was your experience like?

Is DM's Guild worthwhile to try to publish anything on?

Where do you buy your art? Or if you don't buy it, where does it come from?
>>
>>52388078
My current character's one. I'm running one game helping the new DM with my Goblin Deepstalker/Rogue being an exile from the goblin tribe. After we've finished the adventure I'm going to be a player and we even allow a free feat at level one, so I'm already a sneaky fucker.

The build also works with a Wood Elf with 3 levels in Rogue though.
>>
>>52386612
this lmao im the fucking best in all my campaigns
i rolled natural 18ss in every stat and do everything you said and then more
>>
>>52386678
Yeah I am sick of this meme
>>
>>52387057
Who gives a fuck?

Alignment affects basically nothing.

Stop trying to shove your noses in your player's sheets and saying 'I'm now saying your character is evil, which means they're a selfish bitch.'

Even if it's true, just don't bother fucking around with 'alignment shifts'. If an item only lets good people use it, don't let 'good' people who you don't think are good from what you've seen use it, no need to explicitly tell them what alignment they are when they have no such weapon.
>>
>>52386602

It's meant to be the generic martial weapon the way dagger is the generic simple weapon. It's not always the best option but it's never the worst unless you have very specific weapon needs.
>>
>>52388143
That's neat as fuck. I like the goblin idea more than wood elf though, since I was thinking of doing like a master/servant type relationship with another PC who is also a deepstalker ranger, with me serving as a squire almost.

Albeit unorthodox. Does this sound retarded or nah?
>>
>>52388177
I think it could be cool. If he's archery I'd go melee though, and the other way around. Also means some of the more specific Ranger spells are only needed by one of you (Spike Growth, Silence and etc.). What's the rest of your party? If there's someone who can't sneak at all it might be a bit trickier.

Also yeah Goblin Ranger is the best character around.
>>
>>52387146
They are pretty evil now or at least neutral
>>
File: 1487556195581.gif (718KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1487556195581.gif
718KB, 500x384px
I want Gnolls back
>>
>>52387057
Stop forcing situations on them that make NPCs sound unreasonable. Even if you have some kind of 'RP path' out of a sticky situation in your mind, the players might not realize it. The #1 reason that players resort to murdering everything is because there doesn't seem to be any reasonable alternative presented, or it seems like an NPC has done something irrational and is being uselessly dogmatic about something.
>>
>>52388213
He's going archery so I was planning on melee. Not entirely certain on what type of weapon I'll use, but I could figure something out.

Rest of the party is a bear barbarian, an alchemist and two unknown.
Basically, our two man unit would function as a sort of scout/hitsquad type of deal I'm guessing.

Any idea on weps and kit perhaps?
>>
File: usain-bolt-sprinting.jpg (206KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
usain-bolt-sprinting.jpg
206KB, 750x420px
is this curse balanced?

user gains +5 ft to speed,and +15 ft when dashing. if they ever stop dashing by not exhausting their movement speed, they gotta make a dc15 athletics or acrobatics save or fall prone.
>>
File: 1465760398265.png (742KB, 636x561px) Image search: [Google]
1465760398265.png
742KB, 636x561px
>At the top of the hill stands a round tower with a cottage attached. Both are in good condition, although half of the tower's roof is gone. A door leads into the cottage, and several arrow-slit windows are visible in the tower. You can't help but notice an eerie quiet in the area and a strange, acrid smell in the air.

>The corpses of two hideous giant spiders are sprawled near the edge of the pathway, apparently dragged there. Their bloated bodies are puckered and blistered, and appear to have been mauled by a large animal.

I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver as a first-time DM for a group of 3 first-time players. They kept complaining how I inadequately foreshadowed the presence of a young green dragon in the next room over. They did not meet Reidoth the druid prior to this nor did they check the windows of the tower just like they did for the other buildings prior.

My question is, was the above description adequate? If not, what should I have done to make it a little more clear (without giving it away completely) that there was somewhat of a boss fight in the next room over (the "Colville audience type" rogue had a vague feeling)? I'll admit that I failed to roleplay the wiliness of the green dragon though, because I'm somewhat uncomfortable with impromptu conversations (the dragon just kept saying "fuck you"s and attacking).
>>
>>52388241
Fuck off Gendo, gnolls a shit.
>>
>>52388163
I say DManon doesn't have a problem with plaer alignment, but one of just good ol' regular murderhobos. The absoluteeWorst way to counter murderhobos is "you mark your imaginary quandrant level a slight bit differently"
>>
>>52388263
Kinda will just make them run in useless circles before going where they need to won't it?
>>
>>52388268
It's foreshadowing only if you're familiar with how dragons work in D&D. The acrid smell would give it away to anyone who knows what Greens are like.
>>
>>52388255
Bonus action will be used a lot, so I'd go with a whip and a rapier for backup. Take Dueling and just whip people before running somewhere you can hide from them. If they get too close then pull out the Rapier for damage and disingage.

Also I wouldn't bother with Hunter's Mark, 3d6 damage in the first round isn't as good as a well placed Spike Growth or something could be and both compete with your Concentration.
>>
I should make a note to call 4chan users straight more often. It seems to get them far more upset than the now normalized f-slur around here.
>>
Digital maps from TftYP?
>>
>>52388268
Doesn't really sound like the foreshadowing is bad if you said all that properly, though if the dragon isn't purposefully trying to stay hidden you could probably mention any sounds it's making, unless it's asleep.

And the 'just saying fuck yous and attacking' sounds a bit boring.

I guess it depends how tough the party thinks giant spiders are.
>>
>>52387461

In 5e, pretty far thanks to Druids on the Wis side and Warlocks on the Cha side. Int-wise, though, anything you built as a Wizard would have been better off as an EK.
>>
>>52388304
Sounds good, getting some extra range aswell with the whip is quite nice.

Also Spike Growth is probably my favourite spell so it's going to be used a lot.
>>
>>52388313
in the mega my friend
>>
>>52388281
yea that was a oversight on my part. what about every other dash action requiring the saving throw?
>>
>>52388311
What?
Literally no one reacted to you calling me straight, it was more the fact that you were acting like a pigfucker in an otherwise great thread.

Take your triggered state and scooter away already.
>>
Forced movement still causes spike growth to deal damage, right?
>>
>>52388263
Why do curse give benefit? Curse are suppose to be detrimental.
>>
>>52388354
Depends how debilitating you want this curse to be. You could just make it a DC 5 saving throw every time they move in combat. Makes it a proper curse they can't avoid by silly tactical moves, but unlikely to actually happen unless they roll a dramatic 1
>>
what's the best class/race to role-play using whips that isn't utter shit.
>>
>>52388389
Succubus pornomancer
>>
>>52387919

Why play in slow motion when you can play on fast forward?
>>
>>52388389
Bugbear is super strong.
15 feet range and extra damage dice on surprise attacks makes for a nasty combo.

Paladins is also really good if you like dual wield whips since you can pair it with Sentinel and go AoO mad with smites.

Battlemaster Fighter can also do good work if you're after CC capabilities.
>>
>>52388374
Yes.
>>
>>52388389
The only time whips are ever a potentially optimal choice is when paired with spell sniper (booming blade) and a shield, but not with shield master, probably.

So...
Probably on a no-heavy-armour cleric that doesn't give you shillelagh.
>>
>>52388378
well im making a table of "perks" to entice one of my players into getting, but learning its actually also a curse later.
>>
>>52388138

There's a disturbingly high correlation between "still tries to make rolling for stats viable" and "hasn't even READ the motherfucking PHB."
>>
>>52388408
Some clarification on this build...

Bugbear reach only happen in your turn. You can't OA at 15 feet.

Sentinel third benefit still has 5 feet restriction.
>>
>>52388389
>>52388431
Well, alright, I just circlejerked myself off there going on about builds rather than roleplay.

Roleplay wise, clearly artificer or rogue indiana jones is best because everybody loves that and if you don't you're a faggot and why are you playing a game about dungeons? But it's not awfully useful on those classes.

Honestly, you need some sort of cleric tomb raider sort of guy, I think.
>>
>>52388387
this seems simpler honestly.
>>
>>52388444
It isn't a "build", I was pointing out that the RACE is super strong for whip use regardless of what class you choose.
It gets even stronger if you build into it or go like paladin bugbear or some shit.

But the race itself is really good for whip usage.
>>
Has anyone tried Mystic from Unearthed Arcana yet? I'm thinking about making one just so I can be a douche to npcs with telepathy.
>>
Any advice for a new dm on how to deal with PCs who are just assholes to every NPC? One of my players is playing a tiefling and so they're constantly torturing prisoners and trying to push every NPC around so they can try to get their way (i.e. get potions for free, free lodging, discounts on weapons, etc). When I asked them why they're acting like this their response was
>I'm a tiefling, I have evil tendencies
>>
>>52388464
Have everyone hate him, overcharge him, send some law enforcer on him?

Same consequence that a jack ass would get in RL?
>>
>>52388459
I'm gonna make one of the generals for my BBEG be one. Can't wait to fuck with my PCs
>>
>>52388451
Thief is pretty good if you can get whip (maybe fighter 1?)
>>
>>52388453
>Simpler
>Roll every single time you move

Too much rolling.

I'd let them move fine, but if they ever move through something that could potentially trip them up or cause them to fall over, they have to roll.

Moving across ice? Even if it's difficult terrain, roll.
Trying to make a big jump part-way through the jump? Roll.
Running past near an enemy that might try to trip you up by swinging at you (Even if the swing won't deal damage)? Roll.
Running in a cluttered room? Roll.

Just running across open field? No roll.

However, this has the problem of being kinda arbitrary.

>>52388498
It's worse than just using a hand crossbow.
>>
>>52388511
Everything is worst than a hand crossbow.
>>
What was the best fix for Dual Wielding again? I ask for classes with the extra attack feature.
>>
>>52388533
Give a feat that let you do -3 attack +5 damage
>>
>>52388459
>I'm playing a High Elf Nomad Mystic he is good fun.
>>
>>52388533
What's wrong with it?
It uses up your bonus action and you only ever get one of those per turn
>>
>>52388560
Worst than archery or polearm at the same cost of investment.
>>
>>52388579
Aren't most things?
>>
>>52388525
Depends.

For a rogue, AT or swashbuckler might be better off in melee quite often instead.

For a fighter, longbow/heavy crossbow is better once they get lots of attacks.

For a ranger, longbow/heavy crossbow is better once they get more attacks.

For a valor bard... There are other things they can do.

Whips definitely have a niche.
1. They are the only dexterity reach weapon.
2. They are the only one-handed reach weapon.
So... Dexterity cleric with spell sniper.

>>52388533
Taking a fucking class that actually uses two-weapon-fighting properly.

Unless you mean the 'Dual Wielder' feat, in which case, eh. Get rid of weapon feats.
>>
>>52388560
It's very underwhelming compared to the other fighting styles. TWF holds its own at low levels, but after 5th (and Extra Attack) you're pretty much always better going with a heavy two-hander or sword&board. I remember a good while back some anons suggesting fixes to make TWF more relevant, like let them make 2 attacks with bonus action or some shit like that.
>>
>>52388615
Rogue and AT are still better off shooting handcross bow with SS + CE.
>>
>>52387943
That could work. Them being adopted siblings means they can't just act on their feelings
>>
File: 1463483652997.jpg (111KB, 1200x525px) Image search: [Google]
1463483652997.jpg
111KB, 1200x525px
>>52388300
As a bunch of newbies (myself included) they would not have had the prior knowledge about dragons. Maybe I could have asked for a nature or survival check to give them the likelihood of what creature it may be (according to MM, only young green dragons are large, live in forests, and capable of mauling and poison attacks), but I usually leave that up to the players unless the module demands it. Perhaps I need to change this to make it fair to them.

>>52388318
Further description in the starter set does imply that the dragon was trying to lay low and be stealthy. There's the eerie silence that I read aloud to them as well as the fact that they deliberately made a loud noise to try and provoke whatever was inside. They also were unaware of the size scale in D&D so that may be why they did not think much of the spiders but thought they were unfairly facing off against Alduin or Deathwing when I revealed the dragon (about the size of a grizzly with CR 8 but they only needed to bring it down to half to drive it away).

And yeah, I really need to work on my roleplaying. I'm terribly monotone and uncreative. I don't do enough prepping to flesh out the NPCs. It would have been far more interesting if the dragon was pretending to fall for the players' persuasions.

Thanks for the help. I just felt insulted when they kept calling my description bullshit. They wanted free information yet not to be railroaded at the same time. I know not to blame the players though.
>>
>>52387566
As someone from New Orleans

>reeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>52388637
Strength barbarogues are better off using dual shortswords (Even if they have extra attack)

Level 1-4 barbarians are better off using dual shortswords.

Bladesingers.. Are probably better off using dual shortswords if they even melee at all.

A level 11 paladin who for some reason cannot take PAM or does not want to take a feat because they're too focused on upping charisma could use it because they can't smite on ranged attacks and they want as many attacks as possible.

Arcane tricksters and swashbucklers are pretty well off using dual shortswords. Sure, both of them should probably pick up booming blade and/or green flame blade, but that doesn't stop them from sometimes deciding they need to get two attacks for two chances to hit, and having that option is better than having +1 damage from using a 1d8 rapier instead of a 1d6 shortsword. Well, you either use two shortswords or you use a rapier and a shortsword and drop the rapier when you want to two-weapon-fight.
>>
>>52388268
Your mistake was in roleplaying Venomfang as a beast

Stealing their treasure, manipulating them into killing/bringing Reidoth to him, accompanying them to Cragmaw Castle to take it over etc etc

You can have tons of fun with Venomfang
>>
>>52388464
They refuse to deal with him and call the police/organise a lynch mob
>>
>>52386194
What other minions do Orcus have aside from Bodaks?

What types of demons and devils do you like?
>>
>>52388249
>Stop forcing situations on them that make NPCs sound unreasonable
>Guy already in jail murdered a guard
>Town wants him executed
>"unreasonable"
So what would be a reasonable reaction to a multiple offender who then kills a government employee?
>>
File: ShimonetaAnna.jpg (49KB, 422x602px) Image search: [Google]
ShimonetaAnna.jpg
49KB, 422x602px
DMing OotA
>Start night running from Kuo-Toa town
>PCs that didn't fail their madness steal from chest in Archpriest hut because they were promised
>Random Underdark adventures while they head to mushroom grove
>Find duergar merchants transporting cloaks to Kuo-toa town.
>Very cursory attempt to talk to them, then monk rogue and warlock want to kill them for stuff.
>They do it, bard, sorcerer, paladin, fighter and NPC crew watch disapprovingly
>They all almost die, at least one would have died if I enlarged all of them instead of just 2
>As they finish, sorcerer gets pissed at their villainy and catapults monk and knocks him to 0hp.
>No response from monk after he regains consciousness
>Whatever, they take the cloaks and we move on
>Few days later
>Monk and Rogue decide to kill Shuushar because he's useless because he's a pacifist
>Shuushar is the only reason the party didn't die the first few days from exhaustion
>Rogue fails sneak, Shuushar wakes up and runs for cover, taking a dagger and a crossbow bolt in the process
>Wakes up rest of party
>Sorcerer responds with damage spell
>Warlock joins Monk and Rogue against Paladin, Bard and Sorcerer, warrior tries to break it up non-violently
>Sorcerer-Paladin-Bard clean floor with Warlock-Monk-Rogue
>Session ends with them at 0 health with a week for everyone to think about what to do

Don't even know how I should feel, but I do wish the murderhobo faction of my group would fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>52388694
Are you one of those guy who never play with feat or something? CE give you what you get from dual shortsword (+more since it has build in TWF fighting style).
>>
>>52388655
>And yeah, I really need to work on my roleplaying. I'm terribly monotone and uncreative. I don't do enough prepping to flesh out the NPCs. It would have been far more interesting if the dragon was pretending to fall for the players' persuasions.
Dude, seriously, make this a priority. I know it's an easy mistake to make when you're a new DM, but for the players it's incredibly awful because you are taking agency away from them. Practically any encounter with an intelligent creature (and even most unintelligent ones, if the party has the proper tools) should have more possible resolutions than combat. You are denying them a whole aspect of the game.
>>
File: reidoth.jpg (13KB, 236x420px) Image search: [Google]
reidoth.jpg
13KB, 236x420px
>>52388701
If I ever DM LMoP again, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.
Side question, are you an experienced DM? Could you have thought of stuff like this when you first started out?
>>
>>52388830
I'm not the dude you're responding to, but I'd probably keep it in mind.
But that might be because I've been roleplaying for a lot of years. Haven't been a DM yet, but I've been a player for a long ass time.

Just treat anything with a decent intelligence score and a language as a possible source of shenanigans that isn't fighting.
Of course, if it fits the mob atleast.
>>
>>52388807
A strength barbarogue is tough, fast and tends to grapple shit, not to mention they get a bonus for fighting in melee and the fact their strength is better than dexterity and thus they shouldn't be using hand crossbows.
A dex barbarogue is so focused on being overly tanky that they probably want to use a shield more than they want to use a hand crossbow. And they're fast, and they might as well try blocking enemies. If they have to fight at range, they'll just pull a longbow out instead and that'll be good enough for them, probably.

An AT or swashbuckler has booming blade or green flame blade, and thus engages in melee. Two-weapon-fighting is a back-up for when they need to land their sneak attack more than their fancy magical attacks.

The paladin case is definitely unusual, but some people are pretty butthurt about PAM's existence, so it's possible.

Bladesinger... Fuck bladesingers. But they fight with dexterity and they get +damage to every hit eventually.

The TWF is only useful for swashbucklers who don't want to pick up GFB/BB for whatever reason and strength barbarogues.
>>
>>52388870
>>52388807
>the TWF
That was supposed to read 'The TWF fighting style'
>>
>>52388665
Chose the starting city at random during group char gen. I have yet to do any research for setting because of the intended shift to Ravenloft.

I am open to and from you as a resident ready to inquire after advice or good resources for New Orleans outside of Mardis Gras and the French Quarter.

Tone down your reeeeeee and educate me, anon.
>>
>>52388795
Jesus. Have you talked openly with all of them yet? You know, the whole "don't bring fucking evil murderhobos to a good aligned party" deal. Honestly the "good" faction should just kill the murderhobos or leave them to die in some horrible manner in the Underdark, and the monk, rogue and warlock players should roll new characters that aren't fucking evil muderhobos.

Plot twist: one of the muderhobos survives and comes back later in the campaign as an evil NPC to get revenge on the party.
>>
File: Mercury.gif (141KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
Mercury.gif
141KB, 500x361px
>>52388870
>playing a bladesinger as a melee combatant
>>
>>52388795
>>52388915
Ooor if you're willing to go the distance you could split the campaign in two and have both groups go their separate ways through the adventure, the actions of each group causing ripples that affect the other. Obviously this could either end in a very frustrating or satisfying way, depending on you and your players. They could constantly go at each other's throats competing to do stuff, and later in the campaign either one group kills the other for good or they reassemble and put their differences aside to fight the common enemy, those demon lords who are fucking everything up for everybody, good or evil.
>>
>>52388915
I feel it's likely those players aren't the type to reroll characters before just quitting.
>>
>>52388901
To be totally honest it's not terrible, but I see some stuff that could kinda go wrong.

For one, we don't bury people in New Orleans. Our graveyards are famous because they're above ground mausoleums. That may change the funeral quite a bit.

Also, have you heard of Jazz Funerals? You should totally make it a Jazz funeral.

The outskirts of New Orleans aren't *just* bayous, although there are swamps nearby.

Anyway, just do some research. Hollywood has a tendency to show NOLA as either voodoo land or Mardi Gras 24/7 but there's a lot of authentic cool shit.

I dunno of any great resources, but if you wanna ask anything, go ahead.
>>
>>52388915
Haven't yet, Really need to obviously.

>>52388996
Seems awkward in context. Like, would Bruenor invite a few dickbags to show up to his meeting and then just give them their own expedition? If not him, then who would, most of the factions wouldn't ask 2 random human and one tiefling murderhobo to do anything for them.

Also, Team Good got all the useful casters, not even remotely balanced teams.

>>52389018
I agree, that's my fear that if I ask them to reroll they'll just be dickbags on new characters because it's entertaining for them.
>>
Need some help

5th level wizard 16 int, how many spells should I know just through natural progression? And I can have 8 prepared, with rituals not counting towards that?

Making an eladrin bladesinger. I know bsinger is lackluster but at level 7 I get the Eknight's cantrip attack combo thing instead of extra attack because my gm dont give a fuck.

Anyone here play bsingers
>>
So my Dm has asked me to make a mystic for the next couple sessions of OoTA as my main characters is currently out of commission for a short time.

Thing is, he wants me to make the most OP mystic i can at Lvl 5. Help please?
>>
>>52388163
I guess this is a good way to think about things - that the situation can just be portrayed by roleplaying better. However, that doesn't change the fact that I have an (at minimum implicit) idea of what character alignment is.

For instance, if lawful neutral characters shift to lawful evil, lawful evil NPCs are going to interact with them differently than if they were still neutral. Even if I don't outright tell my players "your character is evil now, you go on evil quests now", it doesn't solve the problem of me as the DM having some implied notion of what their alignment is, and basing future parts of the campaign around it.

tl;dr I'm asking whether the characters have shifted alignment, not whether I should tell the characters that they've shifted alignment

>>52388279
This is a good point, as it's just going to encourage more bad behaviour. At the same time though, I don't necessarily have a problem with running a neutral/evil campaign, I just would like it if the players acted accordingly to what they claim their alignments are.

For the sake of shooting the shit though, if you're still lurking/if others are interested, what is the best way to deal with murderhobos? Just in-game repercussions? Seems very easy to push them further down the path of murderhobodom.
>>
>>52389062
Well, that's why I said interred and not buried...unless I slipped up and said buried in one of the later paragraphs.

Jazz Funerals already sound awesome, and it will totally be a Jazz funeral.

I guess the big question at the front of my mind is economic recovery in the continuing aftermath of Katrina and the state of inequity within the quarters or boroughs of the city and outlying suburbs.

As for voodoo, I was going to tread lightly on that and so some research on Hoodoo and it's similarities to Santeria(unless I'm just entirely off base).

And, I guess about any cultural idiosyncrasies you feel are worth noting alongside any colloquial terminology or urban myths.

Also, why did there need to be a law on the books against the consumption of human blood specifically?
>>
File: 1255551.jpg (118KB, 1025x756px) Image search: [Google]
1255551.jpg
118KB, 1025x756px
>>52388915
>>52389093

Yeah, talking isn't going so well so far
>>
>>52389398
yeah! fuck ign up!
>>
>>52389154
You have 14 spells in your book, can prepare 8 of them in the morning, and you can cast rituals without having the spell prepared.
For blade singer, just enjoy the extra AC and use your blade when you need to, but remember you're a wizard, so you'll be best off steering clear of danger and using your spells for most of the time.
>>52389171
Basically be a Wu Jen mystic, or a Nomad mystic, pick good disciplines (Immortal has good ones to steal for your cross-archetype ones), and the intelligence save talent is probably the most reliable ranged psi attack because of the number of stupid enemies you'll fight.
>>
>>52389398
>people defend the removal of level loss with alignment shift
it's the only way to punish the number people
>>
>>52389175
>what is the best way to deal with murderhobos? Just in-game repercussions? Seems very easy to push them further down the path of murderhobodom

Unless they slaughtered that whole town and killed ever living soul, the kingdom is going to catch wind of what happened. Knights, bounty hunters hell even a group of "heros" can come after them. Could be rumours spread and people want less to do with them, some NPCs see them and either refuse to sell to them or refuse to give them work.

Could have some NPCs, if any, that they like be upset with them and not want to help them for what they did.

Tldr: they killed a town guard, unless the entire town is dead the kingdom will now be out for their heads.
>>
>>52389398
Are they evil or chaotic neutral? Because there should be no reason for them to murder other people just for the lulz.
>>
>>52389398
>>52389507
Yeah, you effectively start running a game of GTA.
In-world consequences are the best way to steer players, if it's a bad idea to do something, why is it that way? Why doesn't everybody do it? Soon you'll get an idea of what should happen.
>>
>>52389507
The only thing I worry about is if knights bounty hunters etc go after the party, the party's natural inclination, as murderhobos, is going to be to kill the knights and bounty hunters.

The idea about NPCs refusing to do business with them or sell them shit is a great idea though and I'm definitely gonna start doing that.
>>
>>52389398
>In your eyes sure

The simplest way to solve it is say "it's not in my eyes its in the rules eyes and therefore you'll face consequences since you seem willing to play by the definition of evil in the game setting."

>>52389483
Do what this guy's says, level loss and alignment shift.
>>
>>52389524
CN, they are arguing they are taking the hard-but-necessary action of killing Shuushar because he's a waste of resources. Even though he's a support NPC that I am running with the purpose of providing food/water to the party because no PC has a wis bonus greater then 1.
>>
>>52389558
If they do, then stronger and larger groups show up. They'd be a threat to the land in the eyes of the law and at a point high level shit will come down to bring them to justice.

Also if you're playing in an objective good and evil setting could send literal paladins after them to bring them down.
>>
How does one play a well done Chaotic Neutral? I was thinking of effectively being a mercenary who is willing to dishonor a deal he made or betray someone only if things went really sour. He'd also rather avoid fights with people who aren't active threats because it's easier then fighting. Of course he's also willing to risk himself a bit for people he considers close friends and won't be a dick to them.

Wondering if this is more Neutral though, seems to be missing the chaotic side of things.
>>
Hey guys, I'm working on a character concept, and I'm trying nail down what class to be.

The basic outline is a girl whose birth mother was killed by a witch looking for an apprentice. She was taken in before she could even remember her birth mother, and was raised under the witch (With her cast in a benevolent light, saving the young child and doing all she could for her poor dying mother.) I figure that bit is stuff for the DM to work with if they so choose.

The daughter's motivation for adventuring is essentially being sent out into the world, posing as the witch, in order to drum up some fame/fear and renown for her through some deeds.

I imagine the girl would have a flimsy sense of morality, but an understanding on some level that doing certain things will just hinder her.

She obviously wouldn't be as talented as the real witch with magic, which is why she's a low level character. I'm trying to decide between Wizard or Sorcerer, though Warlock and Artificer (Alchemist) were both considerations as well.

Opinions, ideas, etc? Is it too dumb/edgy?

Also, vaguely related, I'd love some witch pictures that look similar to pic-related, but not as... 13-years-old looking, but still young adult? So like, 16-22?
>>
>>52389596
That sounds pretty good to me. Self-centred, not above breaking contracts if they're going against him, but also not good or evil.
>>
Any pointers in how to handle a archfey pact warlock? I don't have a lot of experience with D&D and want to make sure I'm not a load to the party
>>
>>52389599
I feel like an Enchanter Wizard would be good for a witches apprentice. Captures the fact she wouldn't have much social experience but can still use witchy mind bending.
>>
>>52389588
>>52389558
IMO, you should give them a peaceable way out instead of having to kill everything.

They can try to turn themselves in, or the local lord/king sends out a message that they can turn themselves in and then they can talk it out. Maybe the king/whoever has heard good things from reputable people about the party because they've done good things for those people, and he understands that maybe they're good people in a bad position. He could give them some kind of quest they could do to clear their name, like a pilgrimage, or working with the people, or finding some long lost royal heirloom.

I mean, it'd only work if they've actually done good stuff before, but you get the idea. Give them a way out of their bad business instead of being punched into a corner.
>>
>>52389587
Some players take the "I'm only in it for myself" mentality to an extreme. Most players usually steal or cheat NPCs into getting what they want but it sounds like you have a stage 3 case of murderhobo-itus.

Besides finding a way to resolve your issue, I'd say next campaign you run should be one that focuses on players being the good alignment so they can't just murder everything. It'll be dumb but it might force them to realize that they can't murder hobo every campaign.
>>
>>52389640
Part of me is looking at Wild Magic Sorcerer, just to represent her magic going a little wild from a lack of ability.

Enchanter wizard could work too, I did have an idea of writing her backstory in the form of a journal she carries around. Could double as her spellbook. Pages of spells scrawled between pages of diary bullshitting.
>>
>>52389587
I think the best way to handle this is ultimately to put your foot down and say "Look, I'm not running an evil campaign. And by all means, in-game, what you guys did was evil, no matter how much you argue. The other characters already defeated yours, you're at their mercy. So you have a few options here: you (your characters) comply, start cooperating with the party and drop the murderhoboing, or you make new characters that will, or you leave and I find new players."
>>
>>52389647
I do like this idea. Seems kind of unfair to buttfuck the players repeatedly over this.

Problem is that they've squandered a lot of the resources they used to have and frequently make poor decisions. Hope they do something right before I start to have to send paladins after them or whatever.
>>
>>52389385
Katrina is a bit hard to judge. In someways, I'd say things are better now than before the storm.

Gang activity and crime had a pretty sharp drop, most of them moved to Memphis or Houston. Rent has gotten cheaper. Most infrastructure has been rebuilt, although a lot of slapdash repairs have become permanent, might bite us in the ass a few decades from now, but they're holding for now. Tourism is stronger than ever.

But the population hasn't really recovered. There's a lot of resentment from the lower classes who's jobs never really came back toward the Rich folk who are better off now than before the storm. The French Quarter is great fun, but it's also the rich part of town. It was built first and is on some of the highest ground, untouched by most Hurricane flooding. Other rich areas are the Garden district which has a ton of antebellum mansions, and the Central Business District, which has an abandoned sky scraper, the World Trade Center, could be a neat place if needed.

The Ninth Ward is the typical poor area. It's almost empty now though, never recovered from Katrina wiping it out.
A lot of the resentment is, unfairly in my opinion, racially targeted, since the upper classes tend to be white or creole, and the lowerclasses are mostly Black families.

Also, Creole vs Cajun. Creoles are Mixed heritage French/black/native people with deep roots in NOLA. Cajuns are Canadian French people who live in South West Louisiana. Some live in NOLA, but its mostly Creoles who shaped New Orleans culture.

New Orleans culture is a bit hard to explain, but it's not that far off a typical city. Hedonistic but laid back is the best way to really put it. Good food, good drink, good music, maybe not in that order.

I have no idea about that law. I do know that Louisiana has a different legal system as a whole than other states. We don't use Common Law, so things that might be done via "precedent" elsewhere need specific laws here.
>>
>>52389679
Now that I think about it, you could just as easily do it with an honor-bound paladin. He's sent out by the local law to deal with them, he tracks them down somewhere, and he can give them the option of coming back with him to be charged or put in prison or whatever, or do a quest of some kind like the ones I mentioned or something along those lines.

It'd only really work if he was obviously imposing or had a lot of back up or was a high enough level to stomp all of them, but it could work. He needn't even go with them on the quest, he could give them a set amount of time to complete said quest and then he can chase them down at the appointed time if need be.
>>
>>52389679
Now I actually want to make a villain that through this process of bad decisions + self defense. The party is given a quest to hunt down and bring back a (group of) dangerous murderer(s), dead or alive. Turns out they just made one really bad call, killed someone, and then killed everyone else who came after them. I wonder how the party would deal with that.
>>
I plan to introduce an owlbear to a party of level one adventurers, as something the players should flee or hide from rather than fighting. I'm worried that they won't understand how easily it could kill them all.
>>
>>52389647
You're right I did fail to mention they should be given an out. My main assumption was that they have been murderhoboing for a bit now and this would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also slaughtering the entirety of the town guard is a pretty big deficit to come back from.
>>
>>52389398

My advice is either fold on this or quit being the DM immediately. I wouldn't play with this bunch either, but this "In the Eyes of the LITERAL GODS" shit is going to make you the butt of that guy jokes for years to come. Trying to fix it with a succession of more powerful NPCs is only going to cement it.

Quit. Tonight. Just say "I think we want different things out of gaming right now" and leave it there before this turns into a Thing(tm), and then quietly go in search of better gaming with a better group without Thing(tm) in the way.
>>
>>52389750
Have them roll a check and set the DC low. Pretty much they remember owlbears being vicious and capable of killing most any foe.
>>
>>52389695
>lower classes are mostly Black families.
have they consider not acting like gang banger niggers blaming whitey for all their problems?
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>52389695
>Gang activity and crime had a pretty sharp drop

gee i wonder why
>>
>>52389750
Have it kill whatever was kicking their ass. If they are new players it may take a swipe for them to start running.

If someone rolls high on their check to know about the creature, I'll roll damage dice for one of their attacks, saying they have heard of the damage an owl bear can do.
>>
Is a new UA tomorrow?
>>
>>52389750
Have an NPC with the party, a guide or just another traveler that happened to meet them on the road and decided to walk along for safety and company. A rather pleasant fellow, he may share stories, sing songs. You may want to indicate he's not just some commoner, he has armor and a proper weapon.

And then the poor sod gets annihilated by the Owlbear. You want to tell the party both mechanically and descriptively what happens:
>The owlbear's beak and claws tear into his flesh, dealing a total of 24 damage. He is shredded to pieces as you watch, horrified, blood and gore slumping onto the ground. The beast gives you an intense look, and then begins to feast on his corpse.
>>
Might be able to go into the world building thread, but since it's forgotten realms I decided why not you assholes first.

What would a city only reachable by teleportation circles be like? The party will be finding a city that the only way people get there is by teleportation, and the incredibly stark few people who could fly over high mountain tops to get to it. Most travelers will be wizards or those who could teleport, or those with friends who could. People who live their have a basic understanding of magic. Guards are gonna be strict, tough, and twitchy, maybe documentation is necessary like seals of admittance for travelers.

The way I'm handling the teleportation is it's on a Mythal that is pumping magic to this teleportation circle, so people who know how to cast teleport, can do it without expending a spell slot.

What else would this city have about it?
>>
wassap faggots?
>>
>>52389775
>>52389789
>le_edgy_racism.jpg

What is interesting though is that New Orleans has a large population of wealthy Creoles. They are mixed race, but they have a distinct culture that never fell into the pit of resentment that African-American culture did, making them much less susceptible to the allure of crime.
>>
>>52389883
cuck spotted
>>
File: Animated Table.png (504KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
Animated Table.png
504KB, 560x560px
The new (and some altered) stat blocks from TYP are now in 5etools.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Centaur%20Mummy
>>
>>52389883
>New Orleans had the highest murder rate of any U.S. city with a population of 100,000 or more in 2011 and ranked 28th in the world in 2014.
>>
>>52389730
I kinda want to do this to my party desu. It'd maybe force them to think a bit more about what they'd done.

>>52389758
>My main assumption was that they have been murderhoboing for a bit now
This is true though, this is just sort of the first time that they've really fucked up and killed people they had legitimately no business killing and who are gonna get them into a lot of trouble. The previous victims of their murderhoboing had just mostly been morally ambiguous NPCs or people without a lot of in-game sway.

The vast majority of the people in my campaign are lv0, the party is for the most part the toughest shit around and it's getting into their heads that they can do whatever they want without actually having to answer for it. I'm not gonna force an alignment shift, but shit's definitely going to go down next session. Even though a lot of these guys are first-timers, there should be an expectation that you can't go full GTA in a game that is not GTA.
>>
Guys, I'm new to this and I need some clarification.
Our double wielding ranger, after getting second attack, can effectively make four attacks in a row to a one guy? And two more to another one with the horde breaker?
Because six attack rolls per turn sounds like a shitload of rolling for one person
>>
>>52389924
Horde breaker is once per turn only. The most they'll get is four: two attacks with their action, a third with horde breaker, and their TWF bonus action attack.
>>
>>52389910
>cherry picking the best dates to fit your narrative

You're stats are true, but the thing is that crime peaked in Nola in like 2006, right after the storm. It's been dropping since.
>>
>>52389869
I think the guards would be magic users at least powerful enough to counterspell to deal with ruffian wizards. Guards-in-training could have wands of hold person or sleep.
>>
>>52389944
it's crime ridden and full of niggers
>>
>>52389385
Oh, another thing I forgot to mention, that you might not know. New Orleans has a big film industry, lots of Movies get shot here. Could be a player hook, or something, dunno.
>>
How viable is a sword (or hammer) and board Paladin?
>>
>>52389975
Super-viable. Paladins don't need big weapons to deal big damage (they have smites for that) and it adds to their other defensive features like auras and heavy armor proficiency.
>>
>>52386194
Hey guys, anybody has a folder with tokens they'd drop on the mega?
>>
>>52390024
>sits on your face and slaps your dick
>>
>>52390049
I'd like that :)
>>
What's that necromancer up to with all the bodies he's been stealing from the local graveyard?
>>
>UA superiority dice for all but scales off int
Or
>UA crafting but it is only for casters
Or
>UA foods and provisions
>>
>>52390124
building the perfect waifu
>>
>>52390143
Like an android waifu but with rotting flesh instead of silicon?

No, wait. How do you make your undead waifu pretty without her appearance falling apart after a month?
>>
>>52390152
this movie has this exact plot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_(film)
>>
>>52390168
"Death becomes her" could also be a good source of inspiration.
>>
>>52387566
Would definitely like to hear more of this.
>>
Been reading horizon walker and lemme get this straight
If I had crossbow expert and was level 11, as long as there is three targets I can make 4 attacks per turn, as well as 3(4? Not sure if bonus action attack would count) 10 foot teleports, which is essentially a free dash and a free disengage because you can break range with it.

Why do I never see anyone talk about horizon walker? I really wanna roll up a goblin crossbow man now
>>
Would it be considered mean-spirited if I join a game partly to "observe" it? As in, I want to know how a type of campaign plays. I'm not going to half ass it by any means, but if I wasn't in a curious mood I don't think I'd have joined it.
>>
>>52390247
If you actually participate and make an effort, then no, it's fine.
>>
>>52390247
Can you do that without being a twat?
>>
>>52390256
>>52390257
Point taken. I usually get pretty invested in games I join, so I guess it'll be fine.
>>
Dead in Thay
Why is Pencheska the succubus ugly?
>>
>>52390288
Because Succubi are ugly, magic is where their beauty comes from.
>>
For a seasoned hobgoblin warband, what would be their response when dealing with spellcasters? I mean, when warriors clash, the usual strategy is to band together and hold the line. But when you're dealing with something that can blow up half your (small) army with a fireball, it makes more sense to spread out and put yourselves among the enemy.
>>
>>52390317
Think about how artillery was countered.

Infantry forms into skirmish line

Cavalry uses speed to flank the guns.

If you have good artillery of your own, counterbattery fire is very effective.

So, have the warriors retreat into loose formation. Have someone charge the caster out of the bush. Or have the commander pullout a scroll and blast the players.
>>
>>52390317
Precision and flanking, ideally with their own War Casters tossing silence on the command/mage ranks.
>>
>>52390317
Spread out and flank the casters with bows.
>>
>>52390224
Bonus action attack wouldn't count, it's not part of the Attack action.

And the optimal way to play is to focus your damage, not spread it around. The additional attack is nice but it's but you get more functionality out of Hunter Archetype. Teleport is also nice, but if you're ranged you shouldn't need it that much.

Most importantly, the archetype is incompatible and inferior to Ranger Revised.

And goblins can eat shit.
>>
>>52388333
Most them aren't numbered though
>>
>>52390288
Because you don't find the art they chose for her attractive?
>>
mounted combat is OP
>>
>>52390390
Her features aren't attractive.
>>52390383
They seem to be player versions and not DM versions
>>
How is Tarul Var a lich if he only has 6th level slots?

Why would he bargain if about to be killed if he can just regenerate?
>>
>>52390343
>>52390350
>>52390352
Ooh, thanks for the ideas! This is for a possible encounter only, but I really like the idea of running a hobgoblin centered campaign at some point, and this makes me think if I do, I should study some military tactics beforehand.

On a semi-related note, do any of y'all know the the Leadership ability from Captains and Warlords also affect the one who used it? Or is it just for other creatures?
>>
>>52390492
RAW yes, RAI surely not
>>
>>52389398
The only recourse is to deck them. I take it they're fat?
>>
Whats the best way to play Artificer?

Or rather, what do you guys do when playing or wanting to play Artificer?

What kind of Mechanical Servant companions are the most beneficial in your opinions? (I am aware of Polar Bear being the best for combat. One of our party members has a Polar Bear Stat 23ft Crocodile as his. He uses it as a mount.)

I'm not really a fan or either Archetype. We already have an alchemist and I'm not really keen on trying to bring Guns into our Lore.

We started in LMoP and have branched off onto a main campaign.

Any opinions friends?
>>
File: dino_encounter.jpg (73KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
dino_encounter.jpg
73KB, 800x500px
>>52390586
Alosaurus is way cooler than a stupid bear.
>>
What happens if I cast Antimagic Field inside Rope Trick?
>>
why are oath of conquest and oath of treachery such fun paladin oaths
>>
>>52390761
>"Anything inside the extradimensional space drops out when the spell ends."
The spell is merely suppressed, but it's as though it ended.
>>
>>52390761
Rocks fall, ect.
>>
>>52386856
I'd say valor bard with a Dragon Sorcerrer dip.
>>
>>52386240
At least you aren't playing a sorcerer.
>>
File: 1451678012574.gif (3MB, 509x286px) Image search: [Google]
1451678012574.gif
3MB, 509x286px
>Party gets their first good gold reward
>Paladin spends half of it on 5 acolyte hirelings to go around town healing and curing the poor for a few days while handing out flyers for his god
>Paladin asks DM if he gained any favor with his god for this act
>DM says no. Since the acolytes weren't actually members of his faith the act was meaningless
>"If he really wanted to help the people then he would have gone out himself"
>Paladin is upset
>"See you just proved my point. You didn't do it out of the kindness of your heart, you just wanted a reward."
Is my DM being a jackass fedora?
>>
>>52390950
I'm full fedora, but this is a goddamn fantasy game where gods literally walk around and pimpslap fools. The DM was being a dick to push his views.
>>
>>52390950
>>Party gets their first good gold reward
>their
lel Yes your players hate you DM Fedora.
>>
>>52390950
The paladin should have been doing out of the goodness of his heart
>>
Has anyone ran a chase sequence with rules from the DMG? I might have my players flee a city in their horse-cart and I intend to have archers persue them from roof-tops and 2-3 riders on the ground. The DMG rules looks to be intended for a chase where both parties are on foot. But idk the party will probably just get off the cart and 1v1 the faggots.
>>
>>52386466
>AC
Why do people keep saying this? Strength gives a higher AC.
>>
>>52390950
Yes, he's absolutely a disgusting fedora, but paladin also is at fault - he shouldn't have been doing it for a reward.
>>
>>52390950
Nah, the DM (you) is a dick. He spent a lot of gold in an in-character manner and got told 'lol fuck you' for it.

The intent was clearly there, especially since he made the acolytes hand out flyers promoting the paladin's god.

Sure, OOC the player might have been doing it to get bonuses somehow, but that's to be expected. What do you want, your players sitting there giving their gold out because they care oh so much about your imaginary characters?
>>
>>52390950
why didnt he just have the hirelings hand out flyers instead and go heal people himself?
>>
>>52390986
Use the chase table as inspiration and change it for a cart, maybe have a few characters on horse too

Make it obvious that behind their pursuers are even more riders and footmen
>>
>>52386194

If I completely dump all points out of INT and CHA for a character, how dumb should I speak to make it believable?
>>
>>52391113
What's the wis score?

I used to have ex-sailor half-or monk with low int and cha.
A rather introverted fella who couldn't count to 20 and communicated mostly with sailor shouting.
He was also a cunning motherfucker with a lot of foresight, he just couldn't formulate that into plans for shit.

Instead he was telling the party tales of his navala experiences and I hoped that someone would get the hidden meaning.

It was a fun character
>>
>>52391152

I was thinking about a dumb phys based char in general, not sure about the specifics. It only popped into my head because my first DnD character ever is a Tiefling sorc and I don't like how my capabilities are dominating the flow of the game atm (oh you used charm person with your 14 spell save DC and +4 CHA, would you like to win combat this turn or next turn?) and have already started planning my next character
>>
Should I humor a player who is obsessed with selling off every piece of low value equipment he finds on enemy humanoids and haggling over it?
>>
>>52390994
Gotta spend a good chunk of gold to get decent heavy armor.

DEX bonus to AC is free and instant
>>
>>52391215
>charm person
>winning combat
M8, your DM might be retarded. That's not how Charm Person works.
>>
>>52391230
If it gets annoying just automate it by rolling on a minor loot table.
>>
>>52391230
Tell him to go back to playing Skyrim.
Otherwise, tell him it's too damaged for anyone to purchase. It's worth 2c as scrap. Enforce carrying capacity rules.
Or let him enjoy his autism and just increase the prices of everything he has to buy.
>>
>>52391238

>get approached by 3 bandits and a pet doggo
>I charm 1 of them
>convince them to turn the doggo on the bandits and him to fight the bandits with a persuasion roll

It just makes everything a lot easier than it otherwise might've been
>>
>>52391251
Just because you have high charisma and advantage on charm doesn't mean that's something you can do. If you were going to rob a man but he seemed like a really nice friendly devil person and he told you to attack your friends to the death would you? Convince one of them to get his pals to leave sure, make him think that fighting you is a bad idea and it would be safer if they ran away. What you did there's more of something Suggestion and other higher level Enchantment spells do.
>>
>>52391251
Nothing wrong with clever use of a spell making things easier. Doesn't trivialize the fight any more than Burning Hands would.
>>
>>52391251
>Chucklefuck acquaintance asks me to stab my coworkers
>Sounds like a bullshit idea and a good way to get stabbed
>Do it anyway, he's REALLY convincing
Yeah, your DM is retarded.
>>
Is 27 AC about as high as player AC should hit without going full retard? My reasoning :

+1 Full Plate
+1 Shield

22 AC

+1 Cloak of Prot (attuned)
+1 Ring of Prot (attuned)
+1 Ioun of Prot (attuned)

25 AC

Then Shield of Faith spell, 27 AC.

Yes, they could get +3 plate or a +3 shield, but that's unrealistic (imo)

Is this 'reasonable' or is there really a valid reason for player AC to crack 30?
>>
>>52391324
Full Plate, Shield, Defense Fighting Style, Bestial Transformation: Tough Hide, Psy Focus on Iron Durability, Shield of Faith.
That's AC 26 with no magic items at all.

Throw in the +1s, Cloak, Ring, and Stone, and that's AC31.

Or, if your players abuse the Manual of Dexterity and get to Dex 30, they'll have AC 35 with a Studded Leather Armor +1.
>>
>>52391324
Defence fighting style, Forge Cleric and it's fuckery and a shield spell are all other buffs.

The important thing to remember is that AC isn't going to help much latter game. There's more saves and most high level enemies still have like 40% chance to hit you. Plus if they're sitting there unable to hit you they'll go hit someone else because your damage output won't be as much as others.
>>
>>52391324
That's already unreasonable IMO. 25 is the absolute max i'd allow any of my players to reach.
>>
>>52391324
Using your 3 magic item slots on AC is already going full retard, anon. You first make use of things like Defensive Style and Duelist.
>>
>>52391251
>>52391274
Can your classmate convince you to stab your buddy / co-worker / boss? If your answer is yes, you should go see a doctor.
>>
>>52391324
Pretty sure bladesinger with the same items can break that.
>>
>>52390586
Well, thanks for Zero input guys. Really helpful.
>>
>>52391430
well being a passive aggressive little bitch isn't going to help any now is it?
>>
>>52391430
Stop being a little bitch, and ask in the new thread.
>>
>>52391430
Fuck off and go play Pathfinder if you want to schleb around with your mecha steampunk garbage. No one gives a shit about Artificer.
>>
>>52391438
Easy there man. A few of us do. We just don't like whiny bitches like >>52391430
>>
>>52391438
Artificer is cool.

>>52391430 is drool.
>>
>>52391436
>>52391437
>>52391438
>>52391444
>>52391446
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>52391453
Passive-aggressive sarcasm is a bad way to get useful responses, I believe, was the intended takeaway.
>>
>>52391469
Implying you get useful responses in the first place.

>Oh yeah sure, come as 5eg for help.
>Half the time people get shit on for no fucking reason. Just like any other thread.

Welcome to /5feg/
>>
>>52391623
AC guy did, because he wasn't being a faggot.
>>
Someone make a new thread instead of replying to the whiny bitch
>>
New bread >>52391815
>>
>>52391816
PROTIP: when making bait, less is more

for example just the first sentence would probably work
>>
>>52386926
Did one of them let out a girly squeal? Because I would have either stared blankly wide-eyed and jaw dropped, or done that.
>>
>>52391273
>>52391274
>>52391283
>>52391402

So charm person is just completely worthless in almost every situation? Sounds fantastic.
>>
>>52389398
News flash: there's more than one god. Some gods view acts as evil, some won't view it as evil.

You're literally incorrect in claiming that actions of "good" and "evil" are not subjective.
>>
>>52391965
>So charm person is just completely worthless in almost every situation? Sounds fantastic.

Nice strawman faggot.

Charm Person and Dominate Person have very different roles.
>>
>>52392126

>charm person and dominate person have very different roles

Yeah charm person you can't convince someone to do anything useful, dominate person you don't have to convince them to do anything useful
>>
>>52391965
>The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance.
A charmed person seeing a friend and a friendly acquaintance would most likely either help his friend, or try his best to stop both of you from hurting each other.

The DC on a persuasion check to convince somebody to kill their friend should have been like 30, if it was even ruled possible at all.
>>
>>52392153

Technically I didn't convince him to kill his friend, only call the doggo off and try to restrain his friend, his friend killed him in response.
>>
/tg/ I'm really bored.

Is Planescape Torment good? Can I install it and play straight away or do I need to get mods or whatever for it?
>>
>>52392145
>Yeah charm person you can't convince someone to do anything useful,

Charm a necromancer -> make undead horde stand down.
Charm a guard -> lets him through.
Charm a bandit leader -> get him and his guys to stand down.
>>
>>52390950
Depends on the god.
>>
Help me decide my next character. We´re playing OoTA with some homebew sidequests. PHB races and classes only
Rest of the party:
>vengence paladin
>land druid
>pact lock
>draconic sorcerer
>>
>>52391324
Reminder that Knife Mystic can hit 25 AC at level 8:

Variant Human (Dual Wielder) + 20 DEX + Inertial Armor + Tough Hide + Psychic Focus + Blade parry.
>>
>>52389695
Much obliged, sorry for the delay in reply, fell asleep.
>>
>>52392511
High Elf Arcane Trickster with Booming Blade as your racial cantrip.
Thread posts: 410
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.