[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 463
Thread images: 52

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Sewers Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>52350108

Thread question: We've all seen sewers. What's your most/least favorite monster, mechanic, plot, or gimmick from a sewer setting?
>>
>>52355607
>What's your most/least favorite monster,

worst
Rats

Best
R.O.U.S
>>
>>52355607
Favorite has got to be the Gelatinous Cube of poop.
>>
Fuck SKR has a hand in Tales. Fuck.
>>
>>52355607
carrion crawlers
>>
>>52355607
My favourite trope is a cult hiding in the sewers, so there's that.
>>
>>52355683
Hell yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE93zWIkW_8
>>
>>52355682
He had a hand in VGM, too. He's had a minor roll in WotC for like two years now.
>>
So we just had a character who was off in a sniper position disappear.

Rolled a nat 1 on first attack, nat 1 on second attack, and we do a thing where we roll a d20 to determine how good/bad the crit/crit fail was, which was also a nat 1. Odds are 1/8000.

The body wasn't there, so I'm intrigued as to where we go from here.
>>
File: 1460311729130.jpg (56KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
1460311729130.jpg
56KB, 720x478px
>9th level spell at level 14 as an Arcana Theurge

Hmmmmmmm.
>>
>>52355763
Cool, sure would be fun playing a character that was just deleted from the universe for completely unknown reasons because I rolled 3 1s.
>>
File: LJvj1FQ.png (537KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
LJvj1FQ.png
537KB, 640x960px
>>52355763
>>
>>52355607
zombies. because thats mean you're likely getting campaign/encounter ideas from tse
>>
>>52355763
> crits fail
Sure fun to have a fullcaster party (unless your players are idiots)
>>
>>52355643
Literally wat.
>>
So I picked up Yawning Portal today, and I gotta say the dungeons are fucking awesome as expected. I'm so happy players will finally have to deal with traps and puzzles as well as the logistical issues that come from running a massive dungeon that 5E has mostly avoided so far in official material. I think I've only seen maybe 2 traps in the time I've been playing in the AL and through two entire hardcovers. People who grew up on 5E will finally get to experience the glory of the 10 foot pole.
>>
>>52355607

The sewers are all full of slimes that are secretly digesting the biological materials and excreting drinkable water. That's why surprisingly few people have cholera and friends. Rich and powerful people know about this and have secretly encouraged it.
>>
>>52355827
You're telling me you've never fought a Gelatinous Cube that has become something of a diarrhea monster because it was in a sewer or at the bottom of some kobold toilet?
>>
>>52355853
No, because of what >>52355846 said
Otyughs, slimes, and other waste-cleaning monsters are quite useful. If a shit-elemental (quasielemental plane of ooze exists) got into a sewer it'd overload the damned thing.
>>
File: WhatTheLiteralFuck.png (548KB, 565x585px) Image search: [Google]
WhatTheLiteralFuck.png
548KB, 565x585px
What the literal fuck is pic related? Are we Bloodborne now?
>>
>>52355894
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yochlol
>>
>>52355894

That was my first thought, but it's just a 'semintelligent polyp' that functions like a roper.
>>
>>52355607
>>52355643
My party fought a Poop Weird once. A water weird that was inhabiting a sewer. My fighter's longbow ended up falling into it, and my DM made it a unique magical "Shitty Bow" from then on. I think it does Poison damage now.
>>
File: my cat your cat.jpg (59KB, 661x960px) Image search: [Google]
my cat your cat.jpg
59KB, 661x960px
>Buy TftYP
>Love it
>Turn to page 190
>Try finding numbers
>MY FUCKING EYES

WHY?
>>
>>52355951
If you haven't fought a poop monster at least once, you haven't lived.
>>
File: grey fieri story.png (199KB, 1329x354px) Image search: [Google]
grey fieri story.png
199KB, 1329x354px
>>52355607
>The sentient slime who enjoys eating
>>
>>52355971
Gray Ooze have an int of 1 and aren't smart enough to even understand the concept of language, let alone the idea of an establishment that uses a currency to exchange for goods and services.
>>
>>52355840
How are the dungeons awesome?
>>
>>52355986
Clearly that Ooze was a rare mutation with 6 int which is why it longs to explore the world.
>>
>>52355894
>>52355914
Wizards should make a Bloodborne-inspired supplement, I would play the shit outta that.
>>
>When you DM improv yourself into a corner but it's about time to end the session anyways and then while driving home you think of the perfect ass-pull to resolve the issue next session
"Silly adventurers, your initial perception checks weren't enough to discover the secret passage, but now that the big bad is dead it opens right up!"
>>
>>52356001

Generally large in a way most 5E dungeons haven't been (even the Forge of Fury is probably about the size of Ravenloft), lots of interesting enemies, traps, and puzzles mostly. It just feels like a refreshing change of pace from how most 5E official stuff has been built so far since it's drawing from old-school roots quite faithfully. It's nice to have a book full of (mostly) huge dungeons to capture that dungeon crawl experience that 5E has been lacking.
>>
>>52355786
There's more going on. The rest of us don't know what's going on, but the DM and those involved do.
>>
>transmutation wizard pulls a heist
>>
>>52355682
SKR?
>>
File: you groove you lose.gif (935KB, 498x373px) Image search: [Google]
you groove you lose.gif
935KB, 498x373px
everybody shut up and post your current parties' theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsDmBEjkU4U
>>
>>52355622
My girlfriend loves ratties so I can only run them as cute pets who are never in danger

I replaced the rat swarms in CoS with swarms of hedgehogs
>>
>>52356127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY
>>
>>52356038
Late to the party but you could probably get some mileage from that Innistrad supplement.
>>
>>52356156
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg
>>
I NEED ENCOUNTER IDEAS

RIVER CROSSING TOWN, OR FOREST+FOOT-HILLS

I NEED THEM BY TOMORROW MORNING

ALSO BADASS PICTURES OF GOATS
>>
File: 1489788498891.png (113KB, 334x324px) Image search: [Google]
1489788498891.png
113KB, 334x324px
Current party is made up of a bunch of friends I've been with since gradeschool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niu9Zmrx0p8

>>52356127
>Are you man enough?

That's just cheating, anon, "Are you man enough?" could be the theme song for d&d in general.
>>
>>52356127
https://youtu.be/4mC7j-fxqfs?t=12m52s

They won't leave the safety of the city...
>>
>>52356193
For the river crossing town how about a festival where the town has a feast in boats on the river.

Unfortunately sahuagin raiders with pet swarms of piranhas are attacking so the players need to jump from boat to boat to save the towns people
>>
File: 1464198515267.jpg (109KB, 998x974px) Image search: [Google]
1464198515267.jpg
109KB, 998x974px
I have this player who's being a dick about stuff like
>My character wouldn't risk his life to go into that cave! No I'll stay outside!
>My character's lifestyle is too high-class to enter that sewer, no way he's going in!
I've tried giving him McGuffins relevant to his character's ideals, but he always seems to play it off like he doesn't really care or it's a reasonable sacrifice to retain his dignity.

Pretty much the only thing that will take him into a dangerous situation is if one of his own family is in danger, but I don't want this to be a campaign dedicated to saving Asshole's family members. I'm bordering on just saying "Okay sit outside the dungeon" and playing for a few hours while he just sits there... Any suggestions?
>>
>>52356048
It's a great feeling! It's also how I roleplay smart villains- I don't have to be as smart as them if I just spend all week thinking about what they're gonna go.
>>
>>52356193
As the party is crossing the river at night, they hear a prospector singing nearby. Should they investigate, they find an old man with a bucket of gold, saying he panned it from the river, which secretly overflows with gold at this phase of the moon.
He's actually a youkai!
If they try to steal the gold, he transforms and fights them! Use Oni stats.
If they try to prospect alongside him, they get 2d20 gold over the course of an hour, but eventually the river rises up and threatens to drown them!
If they decide it's too suspicious, well, bugger them.
>>
>>52356223
Has he done anything annoying or illegal? You could send a bunch of assassins after him and have them attack any time he splits from the party.

If he wants to go off by himself he can fight three men with poisoned daggers, or he can stick with the group.
>>
>>52356223
Have you tried talking to him?
>>
>>52356223
Have a serious adult talk with him about the expectation of a cooperative roleplaying game for the purpose of everybody's mutual enjoyment?

If he's going to choose to not participate in the social contract you are impled to have signed, then ask him not to play.

Act in a way that fits the character, but not to the detrement of people's fun. Even your own.
>>
>>52356223
Tell him to make a new character who's more willing to go into creepy/weird places, because that's the point of the fucking game. If he's so concerned, he should show it through roleplaying by overpreparing to go into such places, actually helping the party by doing so.
>>
Shit always falls apart when a PC casts charm person. I have no idea how to deal with roleplaying an NPC who suddenly needs to be friendly.
>>
>>52356193
>RIVER CROSSING TOWN

Boat raider fights anon, boat raider fights! The town is being attacked by bandits on boats, so you have to fight them gondola to gondola!
>>
>>52356193
Many many Goblins with canoes and grappling hooks stage a surprise attack on the bridge town... 1/6 chance that any individual goblin makes it onto the bridge (roll for it), the rest meet grisly, hilarious ends from getting chewed up by the rapids, snagging on rocks, slipping on their wet ropes, hitting pillars, etc.
Have goblins with different weapons, alchemists' fire, cages of wild stirges, etc.
Meanwhile the hobgoblin orchestrators sneak in from the river bank in disguise, or ninja costumes or whatever, taking advantage of the distraction to steal the mayor's daughter for ransom. She is also a sorceress who is unaware of her powers, and will become a potential ally when she is awakened, if the power doesn't go to her head (chaotic neutral).
>>
File: soldier.jpg (106KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
106KB, 1300x866px
>>52356127
>about to be dropped into the middle of a kobald v. dwarf battlefield
>mfw it ain't me starts playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
>>
Anons! Long story short, Dragon #291 had subraces for the gnome in the form of River Gnomes and Arcane Gnomes. I got dared to try and convert them to 5th edition. How incredibly overpowered are these first drafts?

River Gnome Subrace:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Waterborn: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Deep Diver: You can hold your breath for 4 + Constitution modifier minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Constitution modifier minutes.

Arcane Gnome Subrace:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Mage-Trained: You have Proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana).
Magic in the Blood: You can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip and 1 other Wizard cantrip of your choice. Intelligence is your casting ability score when casting cantrips granted to you by this trait.
>>
File: Morphs.pdf (578KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Morphs.pdf
578KB, 1x1px
You guys mind throwing some critique on my awful homebrew race?

I know it's a bit high powered. Looking for ways to cut it down without having to give up all the flexability.
>>
>>52356251
>>52356257
>>52356263
>have you talked to him?
Yes that's the obvious answer I guess I should have considered. I have spoken with him, but the issue is that he's somewhat new to the game and new to RP in general and I think he's taking his character ideals a little too strictly.
This is the second character he's made, first being a street beggar who tries to help everyone. I think maybe he's just getting a feel for the extremes.
Perhaps it's my fault. One of the ideals for this character is that "Family matters more than anything" so I think I need to explain to him that ideals are a general guideline on how your character acts... not a set in stone rule on what he can and cannot do.
>>
>>52356332
I'd give it a stong Quintessence out of Quintessence.
>>
>>52356352
>Yes that's the obvious answer I guess I should have considered.
No worries, it's good to ask for direction and suggestions, instead of just bringing up to them 'hey your character's not really playing ball.'
>>
File: 1486697420339.jpg (182KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1486697420339.jpg
182KB, 800x999px
>>52356352
please see >>52356257 again
>act in a way that fits the character, but not to the detriment of people's fun. Even your own.
>>
>>52356324

River is UP, Arcane is OP.
>>
How do you guys feel about a guy who intentionally gimps his character for the sake of a character quirk?

We've got one in our group who roleplays an intense fear of the undead and willfully imposes the frightened condition on himself whenever they're present.

While I'm enjoying it as DM, a few of our players are getting pretty annoyed and blame everything wrong on them.
>>
File: Wizard.jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.jpg
18KB, 300x225px
Can someone help me out with an idea on how high level wizards would operate if there was a war?

Backdrop, there are five kingdoms. One mostly human, one made of dwarfs and wood elves, one only orcs, one only drow and one with high elf rulers that have various blocs made up of gnomes, tieflings, the other races without kingdoms. The High Elves are pretty tuned in with magic, but every group has at least a few mages of decent caliber. Most mages are associated with the Arcane Guild, with headquarters in a border city of the Human and Dwarf/Wood Elf border. So 95% of mages are politically neutral, with the other 5% being House Wizards/Sorcerers/Warlocks. The conflict would be the High Elves vs the Human/Dwarf/Wood Elf alliance, to put the lines there.
>>
File: 1478808484056.jpg (174KB, 808x545px) Image search: [Google]
1478808484056.jpg
174KB, 808x545px
>>52356370
>>
So i'm reading through the Yawning Portal right now, and i'm wondering something. Every map says 1 square = 10 feet., would it fuck up the dungeons if i did 1 square = 5 ft.? makes a lot more sense to me. particularily in the Tomb of Horrors, it seems to make the rooms too big.
>>
File: English_58.png (756KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
English_58.png
756KB, 1024x1024px
>>52356193
Put cute yaks instead
>>
>>52356436

For the most part, no, it shouldn't matter that much. Just be careful doing that in rooms with traps and/or environmental hazards as that may make them too hard, or too easy (as is the case with the super tetanus room in White Plume).
>>
Is the new tomb of horrors still bullshit?
>>
>>52356451

yeah that makes sense. it's just tricky to convert to a grid for players since a player takes up roughly half of a square
>>
>>52356213
>sahuagin
FRESH WATER?
or do they do that in 5e?

I used kuo-toa 2 sessions ago...

>>52356301
done nothing with goblins yet, it's pretty good. is there something a litter higher-scaled than hobs? they seem too weak for my current players

how do people calculate damage from rocks rolling down stairs.
>>
>>52356395
Read the "Art of Warmagic" from Morrowind.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Art_of_War_Magic

They will act as force multipliers and logisticians. Wars are won with logistics, and thus, that's where a smart army will invest assets like Wizards.
>>
>>52356389
I'd definitely look down on him and probably put him at the very, very bottom of the list as far as wishlist items, personal subplots, etc. Hinders the other PCs for a pretentious reason. Not actively malignant, but it would still annoy me.

An infinitely superior approach would be to... roleplay the fact that they creep him out and make him sick to his stomach, try to persuade the party to not go into tombs, give necromancers the stink eye, etc.
>>
File: wizard.png (482KB, 391x481px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.png
482KB, 391x481px
>>52356395
They would literally operate. They'd be the special forces unit, going behind enemy lines, painting their faces and wearing bushes, casting illusion spells to further conceal themselves. Just casting "heat metal" on a tent pole could burn down an entire enemy encampment.
>>
File: Free Ice Cream.jpg (182KB, 651x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Free Ice Cream.jpg
182KB, 651x1024px
>>52356472

Yea, my group has had that problem with a few of the AL modules (this room is 500 feet long!). changing it to 5ft has not yet really bitten us in the ass.

>>52356466

Well they tried to be pretty faithful to the old dungeons which is why this book probably has three times as many traps in it as all the rest of the official material put together. Hard to say how bullshit it is though since 5E characters have different tools and are generally hardier than AD&D people. It still has every nasty trick of the original though.
>>
>>52356569
Well, people have been bitching about passive perception rendering conventional traps fucking useless since Next. Are these traps different somehow? Magical?
>>
>>52356569
>>52356466
On the other hand, I don't think there are rules for sheep, you don't get unlimited free undead minions, charm etc. is far more problematic, and evil clerics can't run around drafting undead, so the normal way to do ToH is absent.

That's what I think people fail to realize about, for example, the 4e ToH.
>>
>>52356591
>Well, people have been bitching about passive perception rendering conventional traps fucking useless since Next.

You can rule they require Investigation, you know.
>>
>>52356298
I have something for that later and don't want to overdo things yet.

river-bandits with chain and tackle to block river travel and raid a barge the party will be riding homeward.

>>52356445
nope, grumpy goats will do for what I have in mind.
>>
>>52356532
There's something in the DMG about estimating damage. I'd call (small) rocks fall as 2d6 to 2d10 damage.

Hobgoblins can be pretty beefy in large numbers, due to their bonus damage in groups. If the players are too high level for even that to threaten them, you'll find it hard to upscale them. There are some more powerful versions of hobgoblins in Volo's Guide though, and you can always mix in some Bugbears for variety.
>>
>>52356591

Many of the traps either A) have little warning and punish stupidity such as sticking your hand into mouths or B) require investigation checks to find. Perception doesn't help you find the poisoned needle on a chest, for example.
>>
>>52356604
>>52356621
So this module could be renamed "Frontline Wizard"
>>
>>52356610
whats the next step up the power-levels from hobs? or the one after that?
>>
>>52356634
Well the main way to survive the ToH was to throw sheep, zombies, charmed orcs, etc. at it, so a wizard doing it sounds like a good alternative.
>>
Why should I play a ranger instead of a ranged fighter? Aside from the fact that rangers are more interesting.
>>
>>52356648
Druid can get 8 animals for any lv3+ spell slot (Conjure Animals)
Land Druid can even get more slots back on a short rest
>>
>>52355780
You do not have a spellslot you only know the spell.
>>
>>52355780
Shame we don't have any other Intelligence fullcasters. Because with that it's worth giving up the top 7 levels of Wizard for something else.
>>
>>52356638
How about you tell us what level you're working for rather than making us guess?
>>
>>52356714
3 players level 3
>>
>>52356695
>Why should I play a ranger instead of a ranged fighter?

Instead of action surge, you have hordebreaker.
Instead of third attack, you have shoot everything in a 10x10 area, and you can hit one of those twice (due to hordebreaker).
Instead of battlemaster maneuvers, you get spells, which includes Silence and Spike Growth.
>>
>>52356696
Nice.

>>52356634
Well traditionally wizards are the main trap disarm/door opening class, so...
>>
>>52356722
Hobgoblins are more than enough for level 3 PCs.
They've got good AC, do a lot of damage when they group up (if they hit, they'll probably do about half the max HP of a level 3 PC).
>>
>>52356761
it's a 3.5 game, but I think I'll use the 5e stat bloc for that "martial advantage" perk

so a Captain and 3 hobs (1)leading the gobbos and 2 flunkies
>>
File: 1462586355024.gif (953KB, 500x244px) Image search: [Google]
1462586355024.gif
953KB, 500x244px
>>52355607
One of my DMs had this gimmick where level 1 rats were sentient and could speak common. At the beginning they were dicks but later in the campaign they were prevalent and could be convinced with food to give advice in later dungeons/caves. Basically his way of giving the players hints at what to do.

>>52356143
>rats cuter than hedgehogs
What's your gf's fucking problem?
>>
>>52356735
Boom convinced.

Would I be a dick if I variant humaned and right away took sharpshooter and crossbow expert?
>>
>>52356832
No, it'd be fine.

If I'm ever in a caster heavy campaign, I wanna put Silence on an arrow as I sneak around, and then shoot a mage in the tummy with it.
>>
If I play a character with three classes are people gonna kick me in the dick? I've never multiclassed a character before but Deepstalker 5/Fighter 2/War Cleric 1 looks like so much fun.

Can Action Surge, Underdark Scout, Sharpshooter, War Priest and Divine Favor to make 7 attacks for 1d8+14+1d4 at level 8.

So I can burst for an average of 147 damage, have 90ft Darkvision on a human, get two fighting styles, count as a third level spellcaster and all the awesome stuff Ranger gets early with the UA.

Also isn't to much of a stretch as a character like Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladins.
>>
File: third edition.jpg (25KB, 340x230px) Image search: [Google]
third edition.jpg
25KB, 340x230px
>>52356853
Wow, you managed to make an overpowered character multiclassing using UA contact. Surely you are a God among men and no one else has accomplished such.
>>
>>52356827
Why the fuck are you in the 5e thread?
>>
>>52356867
Nah I know UA multiclass is fucked, but this doesn't seem too bad and looks fun. Besides it depends on the table and mine has a habit of at least one character doing some bullshit worse then this.
>>
>>52356881
Well then go ahead.
>>
>>52356880
because nobody responds to a 3.5e thread

and you guys have a closer frame of reference to relative power-levels than the /pfg/
>>
>>52356827
3.5 mm5 has plenty of advanced hobgobbos, mostly focused on fucking up wizards
>>
>>52356896
>mm5
they made FIVE of them?
>>
>>52356881
>>52356853
I don't allow UA users to multiclass in my games. Even new rangers. Your DM shouldn't allow it either.

Deepstalker on its own is VERY strong. I have one in my games, and he WRECKS each encounter. I made some parts of his stuff 1/short rest because of the bullshit he could pull.

The whole 1 extra attack + advantage on attacks for first round thing. Honestly it's not a straght nerf as he's able to choose when to proc it, but it's cut down on the crazyness a bit.
>>
File: 1478463888713.png (425KB, 841x776px) Image search: [Google]
1478463888713.png
425KB, 841x776px
>>52356332
seems fine desu senpai
>>
>>52356395

Magic users can operate like >>52356555 but consider that they can work at long distances.

one of the biggest deciding factors IMO are the support features:
Creating Food, Alarm, Illusions, Charm Person, Create/Destroy Water,Find Familiar, Scry,Illusory Script, Zone Of Truth, Detect Thoughts, Gaseous Form,Locate X, Control Weather,Teleportation Circles etc

Consider that other classes offer utility that wizards/sorcs don't:

Have you ever tried to find a druid who cast Pass Without Trace and turned into a Crag Cat? Good messenger. Awaken a tree or rock at a local crossroads and have it be a spy.

Knowledge Domain Clerics? Visions of the Past, to say nothing of healing.

Artificers? Making artifacts is even more important in a war where both sides access to magic.

Warlocks? GOO can't even be mind read cause their mind is filled with eldritch shit and can have perma-true sight. These folks are also hand made to be snipers, you could have an Archfey come out of an overlooking waterfall he spent the better part of a day waiting in to snipe something 120-600 feet away from him.

I think a more interesting point is that the attack vs defense war is so heavily skewed in a world where magic exists.

Thus exceptional assets: blanks, antimages, people who can successfully craft materials with anti magic properties, high level sneaks (shadow monks?) are even more important because if your magic users get shut down first, you'll lose first
>>
>>52356332
There's a pretty good racial balance Gdoc I use to balance my races.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0

Used it to make races for a game I run for some nor/mlp/eople
>>
>>52356908
Yep, MM3, 4, and 5 are especially good. 3 is especially good for high level content suitable for a highly magical world and for fleshing out what sort of things can threaten tougher customers, 4 is a bit harder to nail down but it has a lot of stuff pertaining to Tiamat, Lolth and Elemental Evil, and 5 is a mix of 4e-lite groupings of complimentary monsters and things that do well with being bundled with existing monsters. Seriously good shit.
>>
>>52356945
it seems I have up to MM-6 in the back pile of manuals...

looking in mm5 now
>>
PAM pally, defense or GWF?

GWF seems to be the clear choice to me, rerolled 1 and 2s on my 3 attacks per round plus my near guarenteed reaction attack is probably worth it

But im pretty much the sole melee frontliner/tank. I'll have AC 18 which seems healthy. Just curious as to the % and math from PAM GWF
>>
>>52356125

Sean K Reynolds. If you've ever hated something about the d20 system, he probably had a hand in it. If you ever liked something about the d20 system, he probably had a hand in it.

I mean, Christ, take a gander at his resume: http://www.seankreynolds.com/store/index.html

His #1 problem, IMO, is that while he was at Paizo he had no idea when to shut up on the official forums. He's at WotC now doing 3rd party coordination and internal development which is probably a much better fit.

He's a bit like Monte in that he's actually rather talented as a game designer but he needs some to shoot down his stupid ideas and someone to take his keyboard away when necessary because whatever amount of awareness/shame gives normal people the ability to admit they might be wrong about something is sadly absent from his workflow.
>>
File: Imp.jpg (456KB, 843x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Imp.jpg
456KB, 843x1000px
A ruling question, /tg/:

Let's say you were a Goliath or Fibolg, which grants you the Powerful Build racial trait, and a druid. Using Wildshape, you shift into a Medium creature (a badger, for instance); would it be feasible to have said creature be treated as a Large creature for carry capacity?
>>
How is AL? It just started in my country and there's one at a big games exhibition. They're running SKT
>>
>>52357022
Badgers are medium? What kinda bullshit is that?
>>
>>52356942
>Floating +2

>Common and 1 language

>Arcana proficiency

>pseudo vampiric touch that is quantifiably worse in basically every way
I'll say 3

>Necrotic vulnerability

>30ft speed

>does not breathe

>doesn't need to eat

>trance

>Quintessence as a whole
Well, that encompasses advantage on a common roll, so 4

I'd also call it a frequently useful or powerful feature. It'd be unusually powerful, imo, if using it didn't risk dying. Another 4.

8+2+3-6+4+1+2+4+4=22.

Variant human is around 30.
>>
>>52357022
>You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
I would say you keep the trait, and it works off the str of the beast you wild shaped into.
>>
>>52356292

Act confused for a second. Secretly identify 2-3 things that the NPC would appreciate about the caster. In a slightly confused, but warm, tone of voice restart that part of the conversation but in a more sympathetic manner.

Remember that Charm Person isn't an "I get everything I want" button anymore, so look for fictional examples of nurses/police/security doing their whole firm-but-friendly thing. "You folks seem nice. How 'bout we do this the easy way? Just out this back door here. Don't take it too personal, he's just having a bad day. Give it a day or two and then swing back by, I bet he'll have cooled down a lot. You folks have a nice night, be careful getting home. <door shuts, locks>"
>>
>>52357045

I've only played in the AL while I've been playing 5E. My general opinons:

-Overall, it's a fine system. It can be a LITTLE grating once you've played a lot of characters but it's certainly worth a go at least once. The biggest advantage is being able to travel or slip seamlessly into online games if you want to play.

-The downside is that since you can travel, your DM/player options will be more hit and miss since you will get to experience a MUCH broader variety of folks than you otherwise would.

-As a player the rules aren't really that much of a hindrance. Downtime days become your most valuable resource eventually and there's not much to spend gold on if you aren't a wizard, other than hoarding it for spellcasting services.

Overall I like it, and it's nice being able to play all over without worrying about my characters fitting in.
>>
>>52356127

Right now it's our wilderness. And when it's not wilderness anymore, it'll still be ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34oWys1L1Yc
>>
>>52357058
I'd say Powerful Build would only work when polymorphed if you've polymorphed into a creature that's right below the boundaries to the next Size tier, because that's what it represents: a humanoid who's just a little bit too small to be Large, but still bigger and stronger than the average human.
>>
File: 1453375470821.jpg (146KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1453375470821.jpg
146KB, 768x1024px
>tfw lonely DM
>tfw all of your players have either gf or real careers
>"Okay when are you free next week? I can only play blah blahblah"
>"Oh no I have a date set up on that day, how about blah blah blah"
>"Okay I can meet up then but it will have to be a little short because I have to meet up with some friends. How about you DM?"
>Oh... Yeah I'm free.... Always.
>>
>>52357052
It's a bit complex for a 22. That's under any official race. I think you're undervaluing the Quintessence feature a bit, but honestly it needs to be seriously re-tuned to be less finicky.

No race should take up more than a page of pure text. You have 3.
>>
File: You feel it too, don't you.jpg (45KB, 633x800px) Image search: [Google]
You feel it too, don't you.jpg
45KB, 633x800px
>>52357080
>>
>>52357080
>>Oh... Yeah I'm free.... Always.

>We're always busy but you are always there for us DManon! Thanks for the effort.
>>
>>52357080
Jesus I know that feel
>>
>>52356832

Nah, it's kind of expected. If you're going crossbow, downright necessary.
>>
File: shame cube.gif (3MB, 320x227px) Image search: [Google]
shame cube.gif
3MB, 320x227px
>>52357080
>>52357096
>>52357098
>>52357100
lol damn
>>
>>52356853

RAW UA can't be multiclassed. More power to you if you can talk your DM into it but at that point you should try to get a pony and a blowjob, too.
>>
Is there a way to expel ki or force damage or a wave of force as part of your attack?
>>
>>52357078
>>52357022
Do you lose Dwarven Resilience, Halfling Nimbleness, Draconic Ancestry, Savage Attacks, Hellish Resistance, etc when you wild shape?

I can understand losing flying speed if you wild shape into something without wings, but losing all the above traits sounds silly to me.
>>
>>52357088
This is version 0,3 after retuning quite a bit already in preparation to post it here.

But I see what you're saying, compared to basically every other race, it's quite versatile.

What do you suggest changing? I like the Quintessence pool, so I'd rather not get rid of it, but I would be willing to hear ideas about changing it or condensing it.

Also, it takes 3 pages with the 5-ish paragraphs of fluff I included, with page 3 being almost completely empty. Without that, it takes 2 pages, while only being 1.5 pages of actual text.
>>
>>52357133
I'm not sure what you're asking

If you want to blast things with magic play a warlock or sorcerer or something like that
>>
>>52357147
Is there a way to blast a wave of force as part of your weapon attack?
>>
>>52357158
I think SCAG has some kind of thundering strike cantrip that lets you blow shit up by swinging your weapon. I know Paladin has a smite spell that knocks people back and deals thunder damage.
>>
>>52357133
Sun Soul monk can cast burning hands after attacking. I think that's the closest you've got other then the special Ranger spells.
>>
>>52357144
The pool is kinda my hangup. That said, it's pretty core to the idea. I think you should make the pool the central feature. Make it far better, and then strip away the other stuff. No proficiency or ASIs. The pool compensates.
>>
>>52357158
>>52357165
Okay so

>Booming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

and

>Thunderous Smite
1st-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

The first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration, your weapon rings with thunder that is audible within 300 feet of you, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 thunder damage to the target. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.
>>
>>52357178
In fact here's my idea to make the pool awesome but simple .

You have QP equal to your CON mod. You can use these to increase any ability by 2 for 1 hour. You can do this as a reaction or bonus action.

You recharge the pool by 1 any time you reduce a CR1 or higher creature to zero HP.

If the pool is at zero when you take a short or long rest, you don't benefit from said rest.
>>
>>52357165
>>52357170
>>52357190
Oh sweet, thanks heaps bros!
>>
>>52357001

IMO math is the wrong way to look at it. (I say before mathing it to death)

Defense sure as hell isn't a trap option, but it does only factor in about 5% of attacks made. If your current AC is 18 then defense only matters on an attack total of 18. If it was a 17 it would have missed, regardless, if it was a 19 it would have hit, regardless. Add to this that having a very high AC can make you less effective as a tank because 5e doesn't have a pure "taunt" mechanic that can force enemies to keep attack you to their detriment.

GWF, however, applies every time you hit (which in 5e is going to be a lot) *and* it burns enemies down faster which means you take less damage *and* it makes you more of an actual threat that can't be ignored: especially if you go reach.

It's also going to give you some padding in that while there's plenty of stuff like Quarterstaff Sentinel that can keep them from moving, there's no really good way to keep them reliably attacking you, especially if you're the only frontliner unless it's 5ft tunnels all the way down. The extra damage is going to mean that even if you can't *stop* all of them, you can still beat them half to death in the meantime.

Good thumping. Last bit of advice: I'm not saying *don't* grab Prot, PAM, Sentinel, *and* Shield Master (it is a lot of fun, redundant bonus actions and all) but at a certain point you're going to miss those ASI's. You still need STR to shove with.
>>
>>52357045

The American admins are useless. May your luck be better.
>>
File: Hunter's den 1.jpg (634KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter's den 1.jpg
634KB, 1500x844px
Another ruling question, /tg/:

In the Ranger and Rogue UA, for the Primeval Guardian, is there any reason for not always being at full hp given that neither the Guardian Soul or the Ancient Fortitude include a limitation on number of uses?
>>
>>52357223
You could also refluff.
>>
File: 1445657227786.png (145KB, 702x397px) Image search: [Google]
1445657227786.png
145KB, 702x397px
>>52357208
>max str and con at character creation
>blow qp load into strength for basically no risk because you're boosting your accuracy and damage
>wreck everything's ass forever with your ungodly strength.
>If you somehow fail to collect more qp you make it basically impossible to collect more unless the party actually feeds it to you because you get none of your at-rest abilities.
>Or go a dex build and boost AC while also boosting to-hit and damage.
>Or inflate your spell-save DCs as a bonus action for God Wizard.

I don't think long rest Spare the Dying/Goliath's Stone's Endurance/Saving Throw Advantage is good enough to say that what you're proposing is a trade DOWN, anon.
>>
>>52357293
I'm not saying it's a trade down, I'm saying that you should make something like that ALL it gets.

And yeah, that's OP, but I gave it like, 30 seconds of thought.
>>
File: ArturiaSheet.png (147KB, 1006x796px) Image search: [Google]
ArturiaSheet.png
147KB, 1006x796px
Deciding a feat, DM is letting me swap one. High danger setting, other members are a Maestro Bard, Melee Ranger, and Melee/Nova Paladin/Sorcerer.

I'm a tank that buffs saving throws and keeps us alive, Oath of the Ancients Paladin.

I currently have three feats:

Shield Master [Buffed: Can equip a shield as a bonus action]
Resilience: Constitution
Inspiring Leader

I can pick up any feat or an ASI. Reasonable homebrew feats are allowed if he okays them.

My athletics to shove is a +8, the ranger just took shield master and with his dip in Rogue, his shove is a +15, invalidating a large part of it.

What should I drop/pick up? I'm looking at Lucky or Resilient - Dexterity (DM is letting me if I choose it)

Thoughts?
>>
>>52357361
>Alignment: Social Good

I have no idea what the fuck that is, how is it different to Lawful Good?
>>
>>52357049
Giant Badgers, mate.
>>
>>52357370
i think he's just foolin.
>>
>>52357361
Ice Storm (ancients)

>1v1 me inteh wildy fgt
>>
>>52357370
DM gave us 5x5 alignments when we made the characters, social was between neutral and lawful. Don't remember the others offhand.

>>52357398
I doubt I'll ever use it desu, but hey I get to prepare it for free.
>>
>>52357361
why do you have destructive wave as a 13th level paladin?
>>
>>52357482
I just have my full spell list filled in for roll20 so I don't have to do it when I level up. I haven't bothered to remove it from the automated macro bar.
>>
>>52357257
Didn't they change it to once per short rest at some point? I remember there was a shit storm about it.
>>
>>52356332
seems kinda garbage

using any of your racial features relies hitting with a shitty cantrip (that for some reason you can only do 1/long rest? fuckin' lol) AND then you have to be the one to deliver the killing blow AND its dependent on the target's challenge rating AND it doesn't work on a bunch of common enemies

after jumping through all those hoops you get...what? a little damage resistance? automatic stabilization? the only feature even worth it is Advantage on a save and that takes like three goddamn days to recharge IF you manage to kill something with your shitty necrotic cantrip on all of those days

it's a fucking dumpster fire, mate
>>
>>52356853
>>52356867
>>52356881
>>52356911
>Oh noes! The martial player found a way to contribute! Clearly he's a fucking munchkin powergamer who should be banned from any table.
>>
>>52357560
>>
any dm which allows multiclassing into UA is a retard and you should leave that game immedietly
>>
any dm which allows martials to keep up with casters is a retard and you should leave that game immediately
>>
>>52357529
>using you racial features relies hitting with a...cantrip that...you can only do 1/long rest?
A decent criticism. Had thought about bumping it up to a short rest, but it does have a (mild) healing component and I didn't want that to become overbearing.
>relies on delivering the killing blow
Yes and? Lots of decently powerful abilities rely on landing the killing blow.
>dependent of challenge rating.
Bag of cats test.
>doesn't work on a bunch of common enemy types.
Quintessence is, fluffwise, soulstuff. Letting it be effective on enemies without souls seems a little strange, no?
>You jump through a bunch of hoops to get...?
Flexibility. Yes, on their own the features aren't really impressive (except maybe the advantage on any one save), but what makes them good is the fact that you can bust them out when you REALLY need them.
>>
>>52357624
False dichotomy, my dude. Casters aren't that OP and martials are pretty good in 5e.

Work that stick out of your ass, man.
>>
What is a Gnome supposed to use the little trinkets they can build as a racial feat for? None of them seem particularly useful at first level and I don't see anything on leveling them up
>>
File: 1375082797943.gif (165KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1375082797943.gif
165KB, 600x400px
>>52357637
>I mean, it's only a LITTLE bit of caster supremacy! It's not even that bad, bro, chill out.
>But fuck you for suggesting multiclassing into UA and attempting to bridge the power gap and stealing more of my spotlight.
>>
>>52357624
You and anyone who thinks like you are the only retards here. Go back to playing PF in your mom's basement.
>>
>>52357637
Depend on level anon. Caster can do stuff that martials can't at higher level.
>>
>>52357667
k
>>
>>52357667
Doing more damage isn't bridging the gap. And it actually widing the gap ie. Nuclear Druid.
>>
>>52357634
>Yes and? Lots of decently powerful abilities rely on landing the killing blow.

Most of them don't require you to use a garbage cantrip to do it, though. Fiend Warlocks get temp HP back when they kill an enemy with an Eldritch Blast or Power Word: Kill.

>Flexibility.

Flexibility is weak compared to power, but really those abilities aren't even that flexible. They all do the same thing: keep you alive, and a smart player would realize that there's one that's really good at doing that (advantage on saves) one that's okay at doing that (5-17 damage reduction) and one that sucks at doing that (stabilization) and act accordingly.
>>
>>52357684
>And it actually widing the gap ie. Nuclear Druid.

So let martials multiclass UA and not casters.
>>
>>52357114
I'd feel like a turd though, because I don't want DM to feel shoehorned into inevitably providing me a magical crossbow or bolts or something. And the damage output at low levels seems steep.
>>
>>52357696
Should action surges and/or extra attacks stack?
>>
>>52357634
>Bag of cats test
I'm sickened, but curious.
>>
>>52357634
You should let them cast the cantrip as a cantrip rather than once per rest and maybe as a reaction gain 1 quintessence point when a creature dies within X feet of you.

So maybe you fucked up the drain and didn't kill the guy and your fighter buddy bashes his skull open so you reaction drain up some of the quintessence before it escapes.

Otherwise it's going to be really awkward to get any points if you actually run out.
>>
>>52357001
Defense isn't actual a defensive focus, defense is saying you're staying towards versatility versus any other weapon/fs specializations. Do you see yourself picking up a qstaff and shield or chucking a javelin with any amount of regularity in the future? defense might be for you.
>>
>>52357705
DnD 3.5 you could get stuff like Cleave/Great Cleave which let you attack over and over as long as you killed something with each swing, so in theory you could grab a bag of cats/rats/vermin and drop them on the ground before you swing.

Each swing you hit a dude and kill a cat with the splash, swing over and over until you reduce everything within reach to a bloody froth.
>>
>>52357022
Sure, as for flavoring, something something you're trained with your hella real body, so you know how to lift well in any body
>>
>>52357703
>Should action surges and/or extra attacks stack?

Extra Attack already doesn't stack by RAW, and you can't multiclass Fighter multiple times no matter the archetype so...
>>
Sure is funny how two of the most powerful UA options (Loremaster and Theurge) are for single class Wizards.

But oh no, if we let a Samurai multiclass things will surely get out of hand!
>>
>>52357684
Nuclear Druid is a metagame changer, based on a bad mechanic, Magic Missile rolling for damage once and applying multiple times.
It's easily fixed, but even if you don't want to fix it, people will start mass producing brooches of shielding, just because of the demand, and every important npc will have a couple on their person at all times.

Mechanical mistakes aside, Martials bring the pain, Casters specialize in control (which includes most area damage, remember 4e: killing minions is a controller thing), buffs, and general utility, of course with most classes getting a bit of everything outside their niche as well.
Some high level spells fuck completely with that notion, but who cares when games are mostly played in the 2nd and 3rd tier anyway.
>>
>>52357744
>Martials bring the pain, Casters specialize in control (which includes most area damage, remember 4e: killing minions is a controller thing), buffs, and general utility

So even by your own description martials are good at one thing while casters are good at three? (And that's if "utility" is somehow allowed to count as just one field instead of fucking everything like it actually is in play.)
>>
>>52357751
Most of Ranger's kit is utility you mong
>>
>>52357737
I mean should extra attack stack if it comes from different classes? Ie, other classes also get extra attacks and you're not stacking fighter with itself, that's immaterial.
How unbalanced will it be compared to spe effects?
>>
>>52357744
Druid has dispel magic. Brooch of shielding won't help those poor NPC from Nuclear wrath.
>>
>>52357751
Different casters do different things, with most 'big' buffs, debuffs, and battlefield control spells taking Concentration, Casters can do 1 thing well at a time (exception: a Mystic using Psionic Mastery to multi-concentrate).
Also, it's pretty hard for a Caster to have good high level spells in all categories, they have to specialize.
Utility is a fucked up category, but that can be fixed by insisting on the "6 to 8 encounters per long rest" model, that makes spell slot a more important combat resource, quickly reducing to cantrips a caster that likes to slove non-combat encounters with his spells.
>>
>>52357720
>>52357705
I'm very saddened that I couldn't convince my friends to play d&d until 5e. This is the type of funny bullshit we missed out on.
>>
>>52357788
Can't you just give them more Brooches?
If you feel like being a Human supremacist, you could make them Variant Humans, with the feat to let them cast Shield.
They'll live 6 seconds longer, long enough to throw a pithy one liner, and that's what really matters anyway.
>>
File: 1487974677086.jpg (309KB, 943x895px) Image search: [Google]
1487974677086.jpg
309KB, 943x895px
What domain would you stick a Cleric of Tymora? Without looking at lore I would say Trickery, but that already seems to be a place held by Beshaba worshippers. Would it make sense to still be a Trickery Cleric, just good-aligned trickery?
>>
>>52357831
There are only so many brooches one may WEAR, anon.
>>
4 skeletons with light crossbow = 4d8+24 at level 6? Are there any good buff I can give to skeletons? Bless?
>>
>>52357831
Attunement limit
>>
>>52357777
spell* effects, fuck.
>>
>>52357887
What you want is a War Cleric or Lore Bard using Crusader's Mantle. 1d4 radiant damager per weapon hit, friendly aura, 30 foot radius.
>>
>>52357560
>oh noes! the guy who is a mix of two spellcasting classes, one of which is invalid for mixing, found a way to invalidate martials! Clearly he's a fucking asshole!
>>
>>52357842
PHB read it please
>>
>>52357887
how are you getting them light crossbows you nig
>>
>>52357922
>Oathbreaker with crusader's mantle
>>
>>52357854
>>52357898
That's 3 brooches then.
They'll wear more just for the hell of it anyway.
Dispel Magic doesn't affect magic items (no active spell effect to remove) so 1 would be more than enough, but brooches are fun.
>>
>>52357813
>Utility is a fucked up category
well that we can all agree on

>but that can be fixed by insisting on the "6 to 8 encounters per long rest" model
6-8 encounters in a day is and always was an unrealistic model for an adventuring party

first, nobody has the raw hit point to go for that many fights, just do the math for fucks sake

second, nobody plays that way, because four+ trash encounters is an obvious windmill and players want to spend their limited gaming time doing heroic shit instead of grinding mobs like they're in a Final Fantasy game

>Casters can do 1 thing well at a time
Anybody can only do one thing well at a time because anybody can only ever do one thing at a time anyway

I can't sneak into the palace and assassinate the vizier at the same time that I confront the warlord's armies on the battlefield

The difference is that a caster can pick from a lot of abilities while a martial gets one gets one or two choices and is stuck
>>
>>52357950
>ranger is a "spellcasting class"

do you even play the game?
>>
>>52358039
Honestly I have "never" had to make PC's grind mobs. Unless it's a smaller part of a larger encounter there's just no reason
>>
>>52358056
how many encounters do you have between long rests?

how many encounters do you have between major plot points, after which it would be appropriate for a band of motley heroes to prepare for dangers to come?
>>
>>52358049
> half caster aren't spell casting class
>>
>>52358011
Buy it? Anything that can use shortbow can use light crossbow
>>
File: 1379867643961.jpg (31KB, 526x574px) Image search: [Google]
1379867643961.jpg
31KB, 526x574px
What are some worthwhile spells for a lvl 5 Wizard Divination? Going to be sailing as a pirate and going from various Islands and maybe mainland ports. Probably going to fight sea monsters. Never played a Wizard before, so not exactly sure what is worthwhile or not.
>>
>>52358125
Hypnotic Pattern
>>
>>52358116
Arcane Tricksters are more of a spellcaster than rangers, paladins and EKs, really.
>>
>>52358125
ALWAYS TAKE COUNTER SPELL. Plus take those where you can force fail save throws since you are divination school.
>>
>>52358039
We do 6-8 encounters, usually, but use the 'longer rests' variant (camping out is a short rest, a week in town is a long rest), it works pretty well.
Only a couple of encounters per-day, it doesn't feel like a grind, but resources have to last multiple days, until the end of the sequence, forcing casters to ration out their spells. It feels a bit like those old D&D coin-op games.

Your second point is true, casters are more versatile, and only gain more versatility with each new spell known, while martials have to rely on their limited skills.
It's ok, considering the 3 pillars design, as skills can cover most scenarios, but it goes without saying that the casters have that 'phenomenal cosmic power' thing. A Fighter might build a stronghold, but would be hard pressed to create a personal demi-plane.
>>
Making a Sailor character who has fought a lot of pirates, is a good swimmer (fluff rules allowed by the GM woo) and is quite the acrobatic type, using a 1 handed plus a hand crossbow in combat.

What should I use for the class?
>>
>>52358194
Rogue
>>
>>52358194
Swashbuckler or Pirate-hunting ranger
>>
>>52358194
rogue
>>
>>52358230
Cool, what race would be most fitting?

I don't want it to be a human. And fuck the stat increases.
>>
>>52357777
>I mean should extra attack stack if it comes from different classes? Ie, other classes also get extra attacks and you're not stacking fighter with itself, that's immaterial.
>How unbalanced will it be compared to spe effects?

Extra Attack SHOULD stack. It doesn't, by RAW, while max spell levels DO stack, because Mearls and Crawford have constant caster hard-ons.

If a Wizard can cast Fireball better because he took some levels of Cleric, a Fighter should be able to fight better after taking some levels of Barbarian.

But that's not how it works RAW, because fuck warriors.
>>
>>52358259
there should be a multiclass table for extra attacks so that you get the full progression for all martial classes you multiclass with. Also stuff like Blade Pact and War Clerics should just give you the normal Extra Attack feature rather than giving it in all but name.
>>
>>52358230
idk Sounds like you're actually looking to do some proper RP, just pick what fits. Only obvious choice is the aquatic elf.
>>
>>52358255
Why not human? To me pirates fit best as humans, but whatever.

I'd go Dwarf, but I like Dwarves. How about Volo's kobold? Refluff the "beg" thing to be more of a crazed drunken display.
>>
> 2017
> 5th edition
> people still think climb speed and swim speed mean you dont have to make check
>>
>>52358255
Lizardfolk or Triton
>>
>>52358157
>It's ok, considering the 3 pillars design, as skills can cover most scenarios

Casters have as many skills as martials. 5e had the chance to even this out. Instead Barbarians and Wizards get the same number of skill proficiencies.

It's the same on the high end. Bards get Jack of All Trades, not Rogues or Rangers.

But the Rogue's big skill bonus? Expertise? Yeah, fucking Bards get that too.
>>
>>52358255
half elf
>>
>>52357777
Its broken as fuck, and makes single classed types EVEN MORE disadvantaged compared to multiclass types.

>>52358259
You keep up with this whining, woe is me, victim mentality crap, but all you justify wanting to break the rules is "uhh.. casters!" even though they have a worse max spell level progression, while pining for a houserule that would be the opposite, something that makes multiclasses STRICTLY superior to single classes.

> a Fighter should be able to fight better after taking some levels of Barbarian.

He can. That's why you're stupid.
>>
>>52358305
Rogue big skill boost is reliable talent.
>>
>>52358289
Well you can in some situations, but it can lead to oddities if you make them always do it just to move about. Like a Mermaid is really bad at swimming due to having 10 strength and no proficiency in athletics.
>>
>>52358305
>Casters have as many skills as martials

Wizard and paladin skills are ASS compared to fighter skills.
>>
>>52358331

I really just love the idea of Joe big Fighter man getting outclassed some bullshit monk/warlock or some other nonsensical bs because they would get second Extra Attack at 10 while poor Joe still has to wait until 11.
>>
>>52358276

Look, it's just not realistic that your training as a soldier would be overlap with your training as a guerilla or your training as a knight. They just have nothing in common...

...unlike a shutaway academic forcing reality to bend to his will through pseudo-scientific processes and a devout fanatic of a living god who can only manifest miracles through his connection to the divine will.

Pretty clear if you ask me.
>>
>>52358367
I mean it's not like you're a guy who made a deal with the devil and also happens to be dragon blooded. We all know that devil deals and ancestral dragon magic are basically the same.
>>
>>52358349
Yup. It goes without saying that dabblers should outfight dedicated combatants every time.
>>
>>52358336
>Wizard and paladin skills are ASS compared to fighter skills.

Fighter:
>Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Paladin
>Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Persuasion, and Religion

Both characters get to choose two.
>>
>>52358259
>>52358276
Well there you go, if Wizards can revise the ranger based on the public's perception and general consensus, they should revise other bits of the system that are lacking.
If spells can be "cast at higher spell slots", the martials shouldn't be left behind.

>>52358331
>>52358349
>>52358367
There's no need to whinge. Remember, it's not the number of action surges that is been increased, but maybe that can also be considered.
Single classed martials should also get something to compensate.
>>
>>52358367
See, the problem with your self pitying crap is that in the case of the wizard/cleric, he is a WORSE caster than he would be if he was single classed; whereas in the case of the fighter/monk or whatever, he is a BETTER fighter than he would have been single classed. That is garbage.

What makes this even dumber is that while caster hybrids (as opposed to a dip) are almost always mongrel turd on a stick tier, with the only exception being weird uses of pact magic, martial hybrids already compare extremely favorably to their single classed counterparts. And you want to make them EVEN BETTER than they already are? Oh, because "uhh.. casters! woe is me!"
>>
>>52358422

The fighter can get Perception and Acrobatics.
>>
>>52358276
Let's make it 3 tables: Spells, Attacks, Sneak Attack, so that Rogue-types can keep going with just 1 attack with a fuckload of extra dice thrown in.
You either get 1 table at full power (make the sneak attack go a bit faster, so arcane tricksters can slow it down to gain some spells), or divide it between 2.
>>
>>52358434
>There's no need to whinge.

That's what I'm saying.

>Single classed martials should also get something to compensate.

Yup. For example, what they have now.
>>
>>52358349
>I really just love the idea of Joe big Fighter man getting outclassed some bullshit monk/warlock or some other nonsensical bs because they would get second Extra Attack at 10 while poor Joe still has to wait until 11.

What if...and I know this sounds crazy...but WHAT IF the Fighter got a bunch of cool abilities when he got to high levels, instead of just one or two more attacks?

I heard there was some game like that, with Dungeons and Fighting Men and Dragons. Can't quite remember what it was called though...
>>
>>52358435
You didn't need to go full autist.
>>
So in news of any amount of importance, Yawning Portal pdf is in the mega now for everyone to see (for which I've probably missed the initial discission but whatevs).

Any big thoughts or ideas having to do with the content itself or the quality of conversion?
>>
>>52358472
he did have to. that's why he's an autist
>>
>>52358194
One level of fighter for the mariner fighting style and shields, then AT with the mobile feat, rapier and ...

Well, let me point out, you can't load a hand crossbow if your other hand has a weapon in it. The crossbow expert feat is misleading, it's actually best used to make an additional crossbow shot.
However, any rogue class archetype ASIDE from swashbuckler works well with that whole hand crossbow thing.
>>
>>52358459
I do like the sound of this.
>>
>>52358435
>See, the problem with your self pitying crap is that in the case of the wizard/cleric, he is a WORSE caster than he would be if he was single classed; whereas in the case of the fighter/monk or whatever, he is a BETTER fighter than he would have been single classed.

>If you dilute the Wizard, he gets worse.
>If you dilute the Fighter, he gets better.

What does this tell you about those respective classes?
>>
>>52358470

Or they could keep what they have, and munchkins could go fuck themselves?
>>
>>52358469
You were whinging pretty hard. Autistically hard.

>>52358470
I was hoping, and have been suggesting, they could bring out a Tome of Battle equivalent for 5e, and you could choose from a list of manuveres.

Looks like Wizards might be going down the path of the PF designers, so unless the WotC designers tone down their shit for casters, a 5e ToB probably isn't going to happen, you autist.
>>
File: top hat.png (90KB, 193x268px) Image search: [Google]
top hat.png
90KB, 193x268px
>>52358495
dude stop capitalizing words for emphasis this isnt debate club
>>
File: 1387180372010.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1387180372010.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>52358508
>5eg
>NOT debate club
>>
>>52358499

>What does this tell you about those respective classes?

That casters are more linear.
>>
>>52358502
>Or they could keep what they have, and munchkins could go fuck themselves?

All those munchkins, infamous for playing Fighters and other characters with no special powers or abilities.
>>
>>52358518
more like 'argument cult' t to the b to the h
>>
>>52358507
This anon here again, what martials currently lack are more options in combat imo. This could be alleviated with 5e ToB manuveres or have something like the 4e powers, but make them all daily.
>>
>>52358526
>no special powers or abilities
>5e

Wrong thread?
>>
>>52358537
Fuck, make the 4e style powers all at will.
>>
>>52358537
>More options in combat

They need a few more, but what they're really lacking is out of combat options.
>>
>>52358507
>Looks like Wizards might be going down the path of the PF designers, so unless the WotC designers tone down their shit for casters, a 5e ToB probably isn't going to happen, you autist.

It's not about "toning down their shit for casters" you beautiful neckbeard, because 5e did actually nerf casters compared to 3e.

The issue is that the 5e devs still think the ideal warrior is a guy who can't do anything special (a L20 Fighter can't even break the Olympic record deadlift) or have any cool abilities at all unless they're spells.

Also Mearls still carries a huge grudge against the folks responsible for 4e (and by extension the ToB since that was where the first 4e design team sent their ideas).
>>
>>52358537

You gotta remember that just as 5e casters were nerfed into the ground, not just in comparison to 3e but AD&D as well, a 5e ToB would have to be colossally nerfed as well. It would probably wind up similar to a battlemaster with more versatility but vastly less synergy.
>>
>>52358561
I'm of the opinion that a level 20 fighter or barbarian should be essentially a hero out of Greek Myth. You should be strong enough to pick up a Dragon by the neck and whip it at another Dragon. A level 20 Ranger should be able to nail a flea to the wall from 2 miles away.
>>
>>52358561
I should've been more clear, you blithering rancid filth piece of imbecilic shit, the UAs are heading down the path of PF's designers where they give everything to the casters and the martials are left with their current repetoire. Thankfully it's not as bad as PF.

>>52358566
This wasn't the issue, moreso the UAs.
>>
>>52357824
Long death monks and fiend warlocks can carry around a sack of cats and snap their necks for infinite temp HP. It's not as cool but most likely a bit crueler.
>>
>>52358581
Well Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford think that you should GET OUT because that's not the kind of fantasy they believe is right for Dungeons & Dragons.
>>
>>52358589
Fiend warlocks require the creature to be hostile. That said the cantrip Friends makes a creature hostile when it wears off.
>>
>>52358561
A level 20 fighter taking what is, compared to other martials, 4 rounds of combat at once compares pretty similarly to the stuff actually good about Tome of Battle.

Obviously, Open Hand (the only ones actually relevant to this discussion) monks are crazy strong at that point, and they have three different effects that either compare on the strong side to 9th level spells, or IS a 9th level spell. Rogues, too, get another "double your shit on round one" ability at around that point.

Barbarians appear to stop scaling at around the time that most people stop playing, so I can't comment...
>>
>>52358589
Fiend warlock that carries around a sack of kittens which he murders for a quick HP boost is sad and horrible and kind of fantastic.
>>
>>52358581
Get your dumbed down Warcraft anime wish-fulfillment fantasy bullshit for babies out of my serious game you immature millennial cuck.
>>
>>52358490
Scan is perfectly legible and usable, thank you! Have only skimmed everything so far, but Tomb of Horrors is way less hardcore than I'd expected.
>>
>>52358599
Just cast friends first.

Also it's entertaining to note that it is something a Fiend Warlock player in a serious game can screech "I'm playing my character". In none serious games I'd allow it but the party's gonna have a long stare at you.
>>
>>52358587

UA martials aren't exactly hurting. Tunnelfighting, sharpshooter, revised ranger. Its also unclear what options will even be made official.
>>
File: why you heff to be mad.jpg (41KB, 515x380px) Image search: [Google]
why you heff to be mad.jpg
41KB, 515x380px
>>52358603
>Greek myth
>Warcraft anime wish-fullfillment
>>
>>52358561
And shits like you who think "woe, my casters" clearly means we shouldn't even consider giving the martials more utility or other options.
Stop being retarded.

>>52358581
Unfortunately 5e is a lot lower powered to the extent it's considered a different genre to 3xe, if they brought out an epic or mythic add-on, the martials could probably do something like that.
>>
>>52358490
I come home from the Power Rangers movie and have this waiting for me. Thank you anon and may you find many woman or men to have sexual actions with.
>>
>>52358603
What?
>>
>>52358581
So far, the only class that really delves into the realm of total insanity at level 17-20 is the monk, especially the open hand monk, which fits nicely.
>>
What does the Robe of Summer do?
>>
>>52358597
>A level 20 fighter taking what is, compared to other martials, 4 rounds of combat at once compares pretty similarly to the stuff actually good about Tome of Battle.

No, that compares to the BAD stuff about the Tome of Battle.

The good stuff about the Tome of Battle let you float on a pillar of air superheated by the intensity of your emotions, or be so swole that you could tell a medusa's petrification to just fuck right off.

the ToB remake for Pathfinder is actually way better than the original because it just lets you do more fuck-it-cool stuff
>>
>>52358603
What the fuck are you blathering about? Is English not your first language?
>>
>>52358628
This isn't about "utility," its masturbating over how we need to make martials even more dominating in the things they dominate in. Its hard to think even of what more martial or martial-ish utility would even consist of, considering barbarians can commune with nature and rangers have their thing.
>>
>>52358603
>they're having badwrongfun and I don't like because I'm a colossal autistic neckbeard retard who doesn't have friends.
Get your trash opinions out of here, they can do what the fuck they like. 5e is modular enough.
>>
>>52358651
>No, that compares to the BAD stuff about the Tome of Battle.

You mean the good stuff, actually worth taking.

>The good stuff about the Tome of Battle let you float on a pillar of air superheated by the intensity of your emotions

Purely magical bullshit isn't exactly something that should be high on WotC's list for martials.

>or be so swole that you could tell a medusa's petrification to just fuck right off.

Assuming you mean "make saving throws harder," they got that. If you mean "Iron Heart Surge" away petrification, IHS is in fact an action, so nope.
>>
File: summerRobe.png (68KB, 325x133px) Image search: [Google]
summerRobe.png
68KB, 325x133px
>>52358650
Book is in fact now in the mega for all to see and use.
>>
The only thing I feel martials generally need is some kind of defence against 'hard counter' barriers like Wall of Force. and Bigby's Interposing Hand.
>>
>>52358670
>considering barbarians can commune with nature and rangers have their thing

So they can do the same thing a Druid can, but way worse?
>>
>>52358670
Casters still dominate, unless you're a fantastic retard. It's not masturbating just because you'll cry and pitch a sperg out if your precious casters are impugned in any way.
>>
>>52356223
Say "ok you sit outside the dungeon"
>>
>>52358716
>way worse
You need to reread rangers.

For barbarians, its just some very powerful at will scouting on a very simple, easy to play class.
>>
How do you make animated weapon and armor? Do protection stack?

I want to build an eldritch knight with an army of himself.
>>
>>52358722
>Casters still dominate

Nah. At the cost of being drastically harder and more annoying to play, as well as having to depend on martials in combat, they get to spend their daily resources performing chores for the party out of combat. Fun.

There is no great plague of players chomping at the bit to be fullcasters.
>>
>>52358587
>Thankfully it's not as bad as PF.

No, this time it's way better because we can keep silmy warrior-wannabe manbabies like you occupied with trivial ribbon abilities.

Meanwhile the real players like me pick spellcasters and choose to solve encounters with our hard-earned player skill.

Maybe if you spent a little more time reading up on the game forums and little less time grooming your immaculate sissy hair you would appreciate that effort.
>>
>>52358737

DM's discretion, but probably Animate Objects. Polymorph Any Object works too. Nobody's likely to enjoy the ramifications of permanent Animate Objects, however.

No.
>>
>>52358756
Nice sockpuppettry.
>>
>>52356722
Hobgoblins will tear through level 3s yo
>>
>>52358746
They still do despite it being a team game. Need I remind you bards are full casters who do pretty well as martials.
>>
>>52358709
This thing just makes me miss the grey rain cloak from 4e.
Still, pretty handy.
>>
>>52356830
Hedgehogs are cute but she loves fatties more
>>
>>52358756
Hahaha, holy shit, this level of autism is fucking hilarious and sad to see. Tell us how you were bullied incessantly by jocks. By your attitude, you are definitely more suited to PF.
Please actually don't be serious because if you are, you have severe issues.
>>
Thinking of making a Goblin Deepstalker and I'm wondering if this is one of the few times the Skulker feat's any good. With it I can hide in any dim or dark lighting from any creature with, or without Darkvision as a bonus action and I'm not penalised in darkness.
>>
>>52358769

We are all aware of the dumb hyjinks of lore bards bumbling along incompetently as attempted combat dudes and valor bards learning to their sorrow that their second attack isn't much an upgrade over a cantrip.
>>
Is passwall any good? my Druid just got it and i want to know if it will be worth using a lot
>>
>>52358756
Your blatant bias and favoritism of casters, you fucking retarded autistic nerd, is not nearly as absurd as wanting to increase the functionality of the martial classes.
>>
>>52358813
>>52358756
>>52358746
>thinking dominate in combat just means damage dealt.
Good show, good show.
>>
>>52358834

Finding a poor wis save, non legendary humanoid in each fight whose swapped allegiance has a big effect is pretty hard, generally there's far better uses of concentration.
>>
>>52358889
I don't now that arch mage sure did find our fighter
>>
>>52358889
If that's all you're doing in your rigid play style and lack of imagination, then no wonder you're failing. They still have full 9 levels worth of spells.
>>
>>52358889
Thinking this literally, goddammit, must you be this autistic. Holy shit, I don't mean just the dominate spell, you retard.
>>
Hey Guys. Does anyone have a link to a pdf scan of Tales of the yawning portal? Poor fag wants to have a look ;)
>>
>>52358949
ITs in the mega
>>
>>52358949
Did you read this >>52358709
>>
>>52358961
In what mega depository? Sorry I am not visiting tg too often.
>>
>>52358971
http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ
>>
>party is going to be rogue, rogue, rogue, monk

What the fuck?

This may unironically work well despite the horrendous wis saves, but the players don't know that.
>>
>>52358989
Give them magic items, or they'll likely fail and die.
>>
>>52358989
Rogues sneak around and attack while monk can attack and be sneaky
>>
>>52358985
Thanks a bunch! Happy rolling :)
>>
>>52359008
Mearls pls
>>
>>52358933

Pointing out a resource can be used far better doesn't mean that's the only resource around, retard.

>They still have full 9 levels worth of spells

And the best of those spells are... concentration.

>>52358899
Wow something a CR 5 cambion can do (and more effectively, as he can do it on one after another) just as well, only while flying, amazing.
>>
>>52358822

No one?
>>
>>52359005

I think it will be 99% easy street and 1% people raging about how cheap charm/fear is, then again, they all get good wis saves eventually.

>>52359004
Everyone gets magic items, but I don't know of anything that would help them.
>>
>>52359017
No you haven't, you mentally deficient autist. You're still failing spectacularly because you're metagaming and you can't play for shit.
What is vicious mockery, that is thunderwave, what is mass suggestion, what are the power words.
>>
>>52358822
>>52359024

Depends, how much do you want to pass walls?
>>
>>52359070
id like to use it quite often. But it's only on plaster wood and stone
>>
>tfyp Bestiary

>A couple of new beasts for wild shapin
>A couple of new plants for awakenin
>A couple of new fey for the conjurin
>A couple of new undead for the raisin

Feels good. Thanks anonbro
>>
Rate my combo

Thunder wave + wall of thorns
>>
>>52359068
>and you can't play for shit.

Yes, I'm bad because you (or whoever) suggested a bad spell.

>What is vicious mockery, that is thunderwave, what is mass suggestion, what are the power words.

If you meant those, why did you (or whoever) just reference the "harass the enemy humanoids" spell? None of which has to do with "being pretty good martials."
>>
>>52359091
>>A couple of new undead for the raisin

how
>>
>>52358709

how is a less convenient form of boots of hinterlands a rare attunable item?
>>
>Wake up
>Read thread
>Remember casterbabs are mentally retarded and they're the reason we don't have superiority dice for all martials

GURPS did nothing wrong.
>>
>>52359097
You really are a blithering retard aren't you, they can render a combat scenario useless due to spells on top of being decent martials, you literally minded shitfister.
>>
>>52359131
Wow, them being able to do wizard stuff mehishly sure affects the fact that they're bad at martial stuff.
>>
>>52359119
During the DNDNext Playtests they had superiority die for all martials, but grognards grognarded that it made fighter too complicated.
>>
>>52359106

At my table we allow for Conjure spells to work for undead with same CR restrictions, and Animate Dead / Create Undead / Awaken / etc can apply to any undead as long as the total sum also follows adjusted CR restrictions
>>
Honest question, has anyone *ever* stood around and pummeled Acerak's dust ghost for fifty. fucking. attack rolls?

You'd think even the dumbest party imaginable would notice shifty is going on by like the third round and nothing has happened.
>>
>tfyp has a gulthias tree

Well that's going to be a nice add into my Curse of Strahd campaign
>>
>>52359174
That's what I meant anon.

Sad.
>>
>>52359180
In all these years, I'm sure someone else has - doesn't make it any less silly though
It's more likely if the DM's description isn't giving the players clues as to what's happening
>>
>>52359180
Agreed, and the payoff of forming an actual ghost is basically a joke. Overall I have to say that I'm not sure how Tomb of Horrors got such a reputation for being insanely hard-although that might just be because my usual DM has an unhealthy obsession with convoluted dungeons already.
>>
> Necromancers are specialist wizards who study the interaction of life, death, and undeath. Some like to dig up corpses to create undead slaves. A few use their powers for good, becoming hunters of the undead and risking
their lives to save others.

GOOD NECROMANCER
>>
>>52359097
No one suggested a bad spell, you read too much into it because of your literal autism.

Pay attention to the context of the words.

>>52359169
Are you deliberately acting retarded? Because I refuse to believe people are this blitheringly mentally deficient.

>>52359174
You can still see the retards in this thread arguing against the inclusion of martial superiority dice or like mechanics in this thread.
>>
File: 1465074703636.jpg (34KB, 960x498px) Image search: [Google]
1465074703636.jpg
34KB, 960x498px
>hey guys, no session this week, got a pretty bad fever
>>
>>52359236
They're the same people that get anally blasted when you can't play a wizard, or the wizard doesn't work on 8h rest or less.
>>
>>52359218
In the original, its a mix of "if you check for traps, you fall in the pit, take a boatload of falling damage, save vs death, and if you survive, you're still in a pit full of poisonous spikes with no way out" and a lot of shit that automatically kills or irrevocably wrecks your character.
>>
>>52359203
But you blamed casters, ignorant of the martial crab bucket.
>>
File: 1475988033349.png (979KB, 808x892px) Image search: [Google]
1475988033349.png
979KB, 808x892px
>>52359247
>5 minutes before we're supposed to meet
>>
>>52359265
How so?

Only castergrogs cried about superiority dice, martials where happy
>>
>>52359219
Alignments in D&D 5e are the equivalent of salad dressing.

Done well, it compliments the salad.
Done poorly, it overwhelms the salad.
In the end however, it's unnecessary and no one really cares about its absence or even its presence, unless it's done poorly enough to warrant a complaint.
>>
>>52359275
Is there literally any proof of this whatsoever?
>>
>>52359278
Of caster grognards going nuclear and generally being austical or outright fucking retarded?
Plenty.
>>
You guys forget this is a team game, casters and martials are in the same team where each should contribute equally to resolving encounters, whether combat or otherwise.
>>
>>52359290
Nah, I'm pointing out that there is zero evidence anywhere that caster players got advantage dice removed.
>>
>>52359301
That's why the wild imbalance between caster-martial is obvious.
>>
>>52359301
As a caster I fully admit that the fighter/barbarian/monk is carrying most of the party
>>
>>52359312
An imbalance that exists in the mind of people that play martial types and get angry about their own theorycrafted scenarios, though sometimes they add in raging about the fact that they can't plane shift and raise the dead.
>>
>>52359306
t. caster "historian"

let me guess, 4e was also the worst thing to happen and you have never ever touched any other game that inst 3.5D&PF and 5E for more than a session
>>
>>52359339
The last 2 games I have ran are 1e and 4e.

>t. caster "historian"

Its not clear why you are mad or why you think casters took away your fun.
>>
>>52359312
It's definitely better this edition but it's still apparent.
No one said it was a wild imbalance, stop acting deliberately obtuse.

>>52359325
And out of combat?

>>52359336
Your autism and piece of shit nature saddens me.
>>
>>52359379
Out of combat its usually the bard doing most of the work
>>
Does anyone have that Posioner's Kit homebrew?
My table is supposed to use it but the link is busted in our resource page
>>
>>52359379
Stay mad.
>>
>>52359379
>And when the fighter isn't fighting?
I mean, what do you expect?
>>
File: 081712_Classes.pdf (701KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
081712_Classes.pdf
701KB, 1x1px
>>52359275
Here's the earliest version I have. As I recall, people griped the mechanic was to complicated to keep track of.
>>
>>52359408
>>52359312
>>52359325
>>52359336
>signed by nerds who were mercilessly bullied by their betters and act like their inept and impotent frothing at the mouth is their revenge at people somehow sabotaging a system.

>>52359408
>I can't contribute anything or else I'll just get btfo-ed again so I'll just continue acting like a little shit.

>>52359414
Martials aren't limited by only an in-combat role, that's fucking retarded if that's the case.
>>
>>52359462
What the fuck is this guy talking about?
>>
>>52359482
Pay attention, you dweeb, stop getting your panties twisted. If you can't see an imbalance remains and the martials lack for options, then you're a massive fucking retard.
>>
>>52359509

>incoherent ranting

>calling ME the retard
>>
>>52359536
If you call that an incoherent rant, you obviously failed remedial English.
>>
just play a system that supports the shitty "epic six" optional rule if you're too bad a DM to work around having competent casters in your party
>>
>>52359443
oh dis complicate
me dum dum fighter
me no want no dice
me want full attack
>>
>>52359553
Then stop being a bad DM.
>>
>>52359553
>6e
>Not shitting on martials even more

Just play a good system.
Like gurps.
>>
File: playtest1.jpg (78KB, 488x364px) Image search: [Google]
playtest1.jpg
78KB, 488x364px
>>52359443
Holy shit how fucking awkwardly written. How about
"1/r on a miss, deal your proficiency bonus in damage"

The finished fighter looks significantly better.
>>
>>52359509

>Its a martials vs casters episode

Is this the new "how do we fix the bladelock?" meme?
>>
>>52359551
You sound like a fucking elf and an orc had an autistic child who was dropped on its head a few too many times
>>
>>52359588
If that helps you sleep better at night.
>>
>>52359618
>spews out a bunch of nonsensical shit.
>lacks punctuation.
Stay mad, dweeb. Also be sure to learn some fucking English comprehension.
>>
>>52358289
Yes. How dare they actually read the fucking PHB and go by it in this day and age.
>>
We're on page 7, is it time for a new thread yet?
>>
>>52357080
Go work out and get a job.

Seriously.

Then maybe arrange a meet once every other week on set dates so everyone can come.
>>
>>52356127
>Running OotA
>Players are in Kuo Toa Town and just visited the ritual
>4failedMadnessSaves.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
>>
Why aren't the castercucks playing pathfinder? They're well suited for it.
>>
this game was ruined for me. just ruined. mystics and monks are so completely fucking broken.

5 players 2 monks 3 mystics.
>>
>>52359935
What level, and what made either of them broken?
>>
>>52359948
Mystics can't be beaten. They can do everything. We're level 10. the Monks are just as bad. they're just so insane damage wise.

Mystics have destroyed any kind of balance in the game.
>>
>>52359935
>>52359966
How are monks broken?
>>
File: a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg (64KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg
64KB, 600x516px
>>52359966
Can you give an example?
>>
>>52359966
>>52359988
Yeah, give examples. Were you running the game or one of the players?
>>
>>52359966
Yes, please explain how the mystic can do everything better than everyone else
>>
>>52359988
Just the general classes. Like They get TWO BONUS DISCIPLINES out of thin air evne though the table sets it as "5" for our level they get "bonus discipline" bullshit. Why list it as 5 when they're just going to get more anyways?

Every fight is the samething. The Mystics fuck around one of them is charisma build the other two are immortal and soul knife respectively. and they just can't be stopped.

the monks are just gay. they just leap around and kill everything and never take damage. they have supremely high AC (no magic items either this is core mechanics).

>>52359999
I am not the DM. I was playing as one of the Monks and realized how broken the class was. You need to see how retarded 3 mystics together is. they could probably wipe any party.
>>
>>52359935
If everyone is broken, then nobody is
>>
>>52360015
Hey anon
You know those bonus disciplines are like Cleric Domain spells, right? It's just that mystic chooses which 10 spells they get, so long as they fit under their archetype.
>>
>>52360015
>the monks are just gay. they just leap around and kill everything and never take damage. they have supremely high AC (no magic items either this is core mechanics).
So the monks were unstoppable death machines and no enemy could even hit them?
>>
>>52360007
For a few sessions we didnt do anything because the Mystics are so good at taking advantage of people. Aura Sight bullshit and all the faggot manipulations make them better at a Charisma Rogue in dealing with people or even a Paladin.

So they just basically took over an entire kingdom no problem.

>>52360030
10 broken spells. the Cleric spells make sense these things are just retarded. They just know everything, control everything, and ruin the game. They are not fun in any party.

"oh but they are quirky" it doesnt matter when there are THREE OF THEM
>>
>>52360049
>>52360015
Sounds like the DM is softballing things for you guys.
>>
>>52360049
None of the disciplines are really super powerful individually.
So explain what the fuck was going on in the party comp as far as what archetype and what disciplines they were each using.
Mystic as a whole is a master of being "second best at anything" unless they specialize, especially because they don't get things like expertise.
>>
>>52360015
>the monks are just gay. they just leap around and kill everything and never take damage. they have supremely high AC (no magic items either this is core mechanics).

How are the monks passing every Save tho?
>>
>>52360079
>>52360139
Sounds like massive handholding from the DM.
>>
>>52360015
I would love to see how these guys would handle some hobgoblin devastators with normal hobgoblins on worgs for chaff.
>>
>>52360183
Run by an actually competent DM?
>>
Not gonna lie, that Nomad Mystic is giving me the full mast
>>
>>52360015
Do you realize that Mystics, at level 10, have about 10 psipoints per encounter?
If your DM is giving you less encounters per long rest, then ofc classes with spells or psipoints are broken as fuck.

And how are the monks broken anyway, they aren't that strong.
Supreme AC? Even if you have 2 20s, and you shouldn't at level 10, that's just AC20, equivalent to any idiot putting on a full plate and grabbing a shield. Any fighter can easily get AC21.
Are you burning Ki to Dodge? But then you aren't flurrying or stunning, you're just plinking away - be like water, but not like rain!
>>
>>52360221
Nomad looks like all kinds of fun.
Especially if you're an elf.
>b-but changing proficiencies!!!
In the only situations you'd use nomadic mind as a focus is out of combat, and it takes twelve seconds to switch out of, and back into, Mind as your focus.
It's more useful to use it to understand languages your party doesn't have.
>>
>>52359443
I'm more annoyed at how the chance to make sorcerers more interesting than what we got in the final product was lost. Going from a wimpy spellcaster to a hulking monstrosity would've been awesome.
>>
>>52356853
Think you miscalculated there, you'd only get 6 attacks, action surge dosent give you another bonus action.
>>
>>52360253
Is changing proficencies all that worse than a Bard or a Rogue never ever missing a skill check?
>>
>>52360221
Dat Nomad Arrow is absolutely mad!
No action attack? Great, throw on a bonus action damage bonus, oh it's in the same discipline! And then you can use your action for something useful, like giving Reaction Attacks to the whole party.
>>
New thread????
>>
>>52360323
It's not worse, it's about the same in terms of usefulness but without being exactly the same.
Which is what makes Mystic really cool. It fills similar niches as other classes but without stepping on any toes, nor being better than any of them.
>>
>>52360324

I'm more into it because i kinda love Vistani and Vistani lore, and the nomad has basically mist navigation and the evil eye
>>
>>52359935
How the fuck are monks broken?
They get the same Hp die as rogues but don't get enough ASIs to get their Con up to the same level.
The average Sorcerrer character takes a hit better than a monk.
>>
>>52358709
Here is a picture of a wizard lounging in her Robe of Summerâ„¢
>>
>>52360527
What a wondrous rare magic treasure fully justifying the attunement slot!
>>
How can I fuck over my teammate if he "forgets" to come to the next session? The fighter already stole some of his gold. None of his good seem valuable.
>>
>>52359443
I can see why the playtesters were less than thrilled about "after you use up most/all of your spell points, THEN you get a resistance."
>>
>>52360266
Idea was great but balancing it was a pain in the ass. If melee is too good people over-spend early to maximize melee damage, if it's not good enough why bother. I think breaking metamagic over a small number of spells vs. huge number of standard spells was a much better breakdown
>>
>>52359555
>>52359586
>>52360696
The design specs would've changed as the playtest packet versions were playtested and reworked.
>>
>>52360753
>The design specs would've changed as the playtest packet versions were playtested and reworked.

Of course they would -- they changed into modern 5e and became much better effects, as well as ones that are always on.
>>
File: Illithid Traits.pdf (637KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Illithid Traits.pdf
637KB, 1x1px
>>52356942

>ASI +2 Int, +1 Wis
>Darkvision 60
12+3
>Telepathy (Ghostwise telepathy has language barrier and range of 30, this one could be 60 without language barrier and still not be higher than 4, compared to message cantrip or whatnot)
12+3+4
>Talent (assuming equal to Choice of Cantrip)
12+3+4+3
>Lesser Magic Resistance (Lit. Gnome Cunning)
12+3+4+3+7=29

This still doesn't really justify how to fit a fucking mind flayer on 99% of campaigns, which pains me. I want to say that people hate fun but it's kind of hard to justify or handwave the brain-exclusive diet and being a literal alien aberration. Still less overpowered than purebloods, though.
>>
>>52360966
Justifying a mind flayer is pretty easy, I made a Ceremorph race (just a reskinned Soul Hellbred with illithid instead of devil feats basically) that was a sort of proto-mind flayer, the tadpole eats the host's brain as normal but doesn't shove its tentacles through the jaw and is more of an infiltrator type. Still mentally a mind flayer, they have to bash people's skulls open to feed.

Everyone assumed the NPC ceremorph they encountered was a good guy mind flayer (he ate the brains of the party's victims), and his goal in life was to find safe homes for all his 2000 children (in people's heads).
>>
>>52360966

ironically, these guys make for shit warlocks of the great old one
>>
>>52361087

hell, that could be the justification. Belong to an outcast tribe that just lacked the passionate autism required to serve the elderbrain
>>
>>52361087
Well yeah, they don't serve them.

For a more GOO flavoured aberration, you'd probably want to play an Aboleth.
>>
New thread time.
>>
>running an undersea battle with a druid
>mega Anon comes through with the clutch new Yawning Portal Seabeasts

Electric Eel here I come. Thanks Anon we're doing hordes so you saved my ass
>>
>>52361087
i guess. it's like how dragonborn make shit draconic sorcerers. overlapping features for things that should be synergistic.

if there were rules about overlapping features to actually stack on top of each other but they don't want non of that crap in 5e.
>>52361025
yes but my group wanted to run out of the abyss and my dm panicked, understandably.
>>
File: 1489934982635.jpg (230KB, 745x983px) Image search: [Google]
1489934982635.jpg
230KB, 745x983px
>>52356223
>>52356257

You should really go over with him about how you don't always live up to your ideals. I have an ideal about scientific thought, and while flat-earthers are scum, I would still work with one at work because I need to live.

I have a similar autistic player that plays a Merchant McMerchant Noble and I try to make events happen to her that are out of her control, like being shipwrecked on a deserted island, that forces her character to deal with uncomfortable situations with the party.

In short; DM fiat the fuck out of it.
>>
File: ernesto-irawan-pixel-copy.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ernesto-irawan-pixel-copy.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>52360015
I'm curious how your monks are built given that they are d8 hitdie martials who have not-that-great AC for most of their career given their inability to wear armor or shield, and have inferior damage output compared to Fighters/Berserkers/Paladins due to not having fighting styles, smite, or use of PAM, GWM or Sharpshooter, and therefore are considered kind of a support class.
>>
>>52355607
Giant albino alligators
>>
i'm trying to encourage more "cinematic" and creativeness in combat. some wuxia style shit and stuff. would any of these home rules break anything?

>Increased Jump Height/Distance
The distance you can cover from a long jump is equal to 2x your STR score. The distance you can cover during a high jump is equal to 6+(2*STR mod).

>Reduced Fall Damage
You take 2 damage for every 10 feet you fall instead of 1d6. You can ignore this fall damage is you succeed either a STR or DEX saving throw vs a DC of 5+(number of feet fallen/2)

>Flair Attacks
Fighting is more than just clashing swords. The environment and surroundings can be used to assist you. Swinging from a rope to kick someone off a boat, running a wall before shooting your arrows, or doing a flip over your enemy to get behind them all count as Flair Attacks. Whenever the DM rules that your method of attack has "flair", you gain advantage on the attack roll. You also deal bonus damage equal to your weapon dice if it's a weapon attack. You can only gain the benefit of a Flair Attack once per turn.
>>
File: 1372626395238.jpg (333KB, 744x850px) Image search: [Google]
1372626395238.jpg
333KB, 744x850px
>>52361182
Let's see...

Aboleth Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Aboleth enter adulthood at around age 10. They do not die of old age.
Alignment. Aboleths are dominated by the need to dominate others, to control all that was once theirs. Most Aboleth tend towards Lawful Evil.
Size. You are around 7 to 8 feet long, and weigh several hundred pounds. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base slithering speed is 20 feet. You also have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
Amphibious. You can breath air and water.
Darkvision. Dwelling in the depths of the underdark, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Tentacles. Instead of arms and hands, you have sinuous tentacles which don't impair your grip, but count as a natural weapon which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6+your Strength modifier.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Mindwalker. You can speak telepathically to any creature within 30 feet of you. The creature understands you only if the two of you share a language. You can speak telepathically in this way to only one creature at a time.
Dominate. You can cast the charm spell once with this trait, requiring no material components, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Undercommon, and Deep Speech.

A pretty puny Aboleth, but it came to 26 points according to >>52356942
>>
How to fix sorcerers:

Metamagic can be used on any spell cast within 30 feet of you, regardless of who cast it.
>>
>>52361659
This doesn't fix sorcerers
>>
I want to do something nice for dagger users, like maybe replicate how they're often portrayed in vidya as being crit machines.

Would it be OP to make daggers innately more prone to critical hits, like making attacks with daggers crit on maybe a natty 18-20?
>>
>>52361823

Y tho
>>
>>52361823
Try it.
>>
>>52361823
Make a feat for them rather than change the base.
>>
>>52361862

I'm not going to make a feat for a single weapon type.
>>
>>52361870
Than give it to rogues
>>
>>52361823
A rogue dual wielding daggers barely loses any damage compared to short swords. There.
>>
>>52361881
What about also doing it for Sickles and Darts?
>>
>>52361823
Daggers are utility weapons.
Concealable, throwable, everybody can use them.
Daggers are already viable (for Rogues, grab one and you have both melee and ranged covered), triple crit range would make Rapiers and Bows/XBows useless.
Maybe make it an enchantment, other weapons get a +1, Daggers get a +1 crit range instead (or on top?)
>>
>>52361823
You mean like a feat or a magic item?

If feat you could do it like this.

Dagger mastery:

You gain a +1 to all attack and damage rolls with daggers.

Once per round when attacking with advantage you add a 1d4 to your attack and damage rolls with your dagger.
>>
>>52361823
That's how it used to be. Daggers could crit on a 19 or 20, with the "keen" modifier doubling whatever it used to have. So if a Battleaxe was keen, it would become 19-20. A dagger on the other hand, would now crit on a 17-20.

The flipside is that a Battleaxe's crits are more than just doubled. They hit hard. Daggers don't, but they hit frequently.

Battleaxes would be a better choice against Threshold enemies in that case, but daggers would be better for breaking AC.
>>
Rate my combo

Wall of thorns +thunderwave
>>
>>52361932
That's not fun.
Let's make it FUN.
>+1 to attacks (not to damage, that's not how mastery feats go)
>if attacking with advantage, both rolls hit: it's a CRITICAL HIT
>if you deal a critical hit, you gain a bonus action attack to use against the same target on this turn (that makes both GWM and dual wielding weaker choices, and would have to change, but you get the general idea)
>>
>>52361558
>Increased Jump Height/Distance
Won't do much since characters without increased speed can't running jump more then 20ft in with a move action. Unless you meant standing long jump, in which case 30ft standing long jump on a 15 str character seems silly to me but meh. Also, as a consequence a PC with 10 strength would be able to 20ft long jump.

>Reduced Fall Damage
2 vs 1d6 doesn't change too much although it is nearly half damage
I think the save should be for half and not prone on save and not no damage, 200 feet falls should hurt even in kung-fu settings, not that anyone could make the 105DC you'd ask for that.
Save should scale much worse with fall distance. 40ft fall would be a 25 DC for example which is around the point where it's not really doable by anyone other then near max level characters rolling with proficiency. I'd go with 10 + (Feet Fallen /10 or 20, whichever's less)
Strength doesn't make sense as a save for landing, if you want meat shields jumping off things make it a con save.

>Flair Attacks
Many DM already give advantage for being cool and cinematic in combat, but explicitly writing it down means you'd have to play Mother May I every round. I'd say you can do Flair Attacks Proficiency Bonus / LR, player has to give a description of cool thing and then the GM can rule that it does (monk unarmed progression dice) more damage and what type of damage it does. But even if the DM thinks it's mildly stupid the attack still has advantage.
>>
>>52361580
ha
>>
File: DCC25-0.jpg (89KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
DCC25-0.jpg
89KB, 500x301px
>>52362080
Do you dare enter my mucal realm?
>>
>>52362096
i would totally attempt to play an aboleth, but if i'm having trouble finding a dm that wants a humanoid aberration, an 8ft long fish would be quite more complicated.

unless it's an aquatic campaign, i guess then it's fine.
>>
>>52362096
>his musical realm
but how will it sing underwater?
blub blub blub blub blub
>>
>>52362133
At least Mind Flayers could use Mask of Many Faces to disguise themselves at 2nd level.

Aboleth can't really do that.
>>
File: 1.jpg (54KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
54KB, 640x483px
>>52362168
Not musical. Mucal.

Of or pertaining to mucus, or the production thereof.
>>
>>52362193
what i like the most out of it is,
>Size. You are around 7 to 8 feet long, and weigh several hundred pounds. Your size is medium.

fucking comedy gold.
>>
I'm going to try out the mystic in two weeks. The pdf said that I should aim to have two quirks but I'm probably going to go with a single big one (never speaking, telepathy only, final destination).
With Telepathic Contact I should be able to converse with the rest of the team all at once so I don't have to tell everyone individually what I'm saying. Mind Meld for maximum mental fun.
When using Broken Will/Psychic Domination can I tell the target under my control to attack itself? Or to run off a cliff? There's no "don't harm yourself" clause like in charm spells.
>>
File: gaston-balanced.png (376KB, 1622x2082px) Image search: [Google]
gaston-balanced.png
376KB, 1622x2082px
Could use your help making a balanced Gaston character for one of my players.

So far:
>Paladin that uses crossbows and greatsword
>Oath of Devotion
>To himself.

Stats (baseline human) based on his song:
STR: 14
DEX: 12
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 18

I was thinking Folk Hero with the rustic hospitality exchanged with Lefou, who would have terrible stats.

Ideals are of destroying the unnatural and collecting trophies (like the prettiest wife).

Flaws are arrogance, quick to anger, and being prone foolhardy acts of heroism.

What am I missing?

pic related
>>
>>52361931
>triple crit range would make Rapiers and Bows/XBows useless
Not without something else buffing crits anyway.

Dagger Crit 20 Average Damage: 2.625
HalfOrc Dagger Crit 20 Average Damage: 2.75
Dagger Crit 17-20 Average Damage: 2.875
HalfOrc Dagger Crit 17-20 Average Damage: 3.25

1d6 Crit 20 Average Damage: 3.675
HalfOrc 1d6 Crit 20 Average Damage: 3.85
1d8 Crit 20 Average Damage: 4.725
HalfOrc 1d8 Crit 20 Average Damage: 4.95
>>
File: aboleth6.jpg (198KB, 568x565px) Image search: [Google]
aboleth6.jpg
198KB, 568x565px
>>52362213
Yeah. But it kind of fits, given that regular Aboleth, the large sized ones, are 20 feet long.

I guess you're just not very wide or tall.
>>
>>52362240
Yes, you can make them do anything.
>>
>>52362069
>Won't do much since characters without increased speed can't running jump more then 20ft in with a move action
the intention is so that you can use your dash for increased movement in order to benefit from the increased jump height/distance. yeah it doesn't really give you much benefit if you don't dash, but it lets characters have more freedom of movement both horizontally and vertically and can let me build some more interesting encounters that feel less like a flat board map and more like an arena.
> Unless you meant standing long jump
i mean running start is 2x STR. a standing would be half that, so 1x STR.
> Also, as a consequence a PC with 10 strength would be able to 20ft long jump
well thats good then, helping with my intended goal of improving mobility.
>Strength doesn't make sense as a save for landing, if you want meat shields jumping off things make it a con save.
i was thinking about that but wasn't sure if i wanted to go with STR or CON, but i guess it makes more sense to have both be strong saves instead of one being a weak and another a strong.
>explicitly writing it down means you'd have to play Mother May I every round
this is literally dming my group all the time when they do something other than basic attack so it's not like i mind. putting a limit on it is a good idea though, but i like the idea of having it be a number of times equal to your character level per long rest. low level characters would feel less "heroic" per se than higher level characters.
>>
>>52356038
>>52356174

I added a dash of Bloodborne flavor in our Strahd campaign. My players imagine themselves in the Yharnam/Bloodborne garb and all.

Even use Bloodborne music too.
>>
>>52362273
Welcome to my magical realm.
>>
New Thread

>>52362283
>>52362283
>>
>>52362290
I hope your magical realm fits neatly inside 1 minute.
>>
>>52362250
Oath of treachery is more what you're looking for I think.
14,12,16,9,10,16 would work for point buy as a standard human.
Lefou could work like that noble feature with the guys that work for you but refuse to fight.
I think ranger or fighter is more fitting personally but whatever.
>>
>>52362063
>if attacking with advantage, both rolls hit: it's a CRITICAL HIT
That's basically handing out the Assassin rogue's main unique feature.
>if you deal a critical hit, you gain a bonus action attack to use against the same target on this turn (that makes both GWM and dual wielding weaker choices, and would have to change, but you get the general idea)
The problem with this is daggers are really good dual wielding weapons, since they're light, finesse and everyone is proficient with them.
>>
>>52362272
i know, but that just makes them comically small for an aboleth and all around the most awkward size for an intelligent creature.

6ft tunas for reference, and compared to large common animals like crocodiles and horses, super fucking tiny.
Thread posts: 463
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.